3.9/5 (312 ratings)

About Avast Antivirus

Avast Antivirus Software provides protection for your devices from viruses, malware and other potential internet threats. Avast is known for offering features you don’t often find in a free program, including a Wi-Fi network scanner, a password manager and a gaming mode.

Pros

• Password manager
  • Customizable protection
  • Free product is robust

Cons

• Previously sold user data
  • Can slow your device

Bottom Line

Avast Antivirus Software provides both free and premium protection against risks to your devices. The free version is pretty thorough, but the paid version adds many useful features.

Avast Antivirus Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avast Antivirus?

Original review: May 28, 2020

I've been an Avast customer for about 5 years. A few employees from my Corp. Tech department recommended it. But after about a year the same department discouraged it because Avast clogs the cloud operations and jams the local PC in it's efforts to collaborate with or against other programs. I've "NEVER" had an instant or even 30 second "start up" experience with the main / premium software. You would think that their "PRIME" would be fast. Just the opposite. And do I have a new computer? Within a year old.

My HOPE is that it is protecting me. Who would know? Who has the time to wait for it to start up? I paid for a number of components and am locked in for now - but looking for something better. Bottom line - SLOW, SLOW, SLOWER, AND SLOWEST antivirus software I've ever worked with. Last - communicating with the support without paying more is just another opportunity for me to "work for them" instead of them working for what I've paid for in business services. Not happening. Sad. Frustrated. Disappointed. Searching for something better.

Original review: May 6, 2020

We have had free version of Avast for years. Never an issue. 5-6 months ago we had our first horrible experience with avast. I think at one point in 2018 we had paid for a year's sub, then due to kids and life stuff we had told them we were not going to renew, to take us off their list. They assured us they would not automatically renew our subscription.

Sometime late last year they did it anyway, not just draining our account dry with regular avast renewal, but they added a more expensive feature too. They charged for Avast Antivirus Premium as well as their Avast Antivirus Cleanup. Furiously, myself and my bank person sat down on speaker phone to get a refund as they had not only taken money from us for a renewal to something we EXPLICITLY told them not to renew, but added another service of their own accord, which I did not think possible.

The Avast representative we spoke to was incredibly rude, uncooperative and it took over an HOUR on the phone to force them to refund what they stole from us and DEMANDED they never do this again. Stupidly, we both assumed they would honor that. Saturday. May 2, 2020, PRECISELY JUST after 4pm WHEN OUR BANKS WOULD BE CLOSED, rendering us 100% unable to call our bank and fix the issue. They AGAIN took money from us, draining our account completely as they renewed a year's worth of Avast Antivirus Premium AND Avast Antivirus Cleanup.

With this COVID virus keeping us isolated, work has died off to a damned TRICKLE, and my husband and I are left trying to keep our heads above water with two children ONE OF WHICH HAS A MEDICAL CONDITION, we cannot AFFORD to have this blatant abuse of power. I was absolutely LIVID. We needed that money so we could buy food for our CHILDREN who we now also have to homeschool on top of all the other financial difficulties.

Immediately I called, furious, and for once in my life I was barely able to keep my cool. I DEMANDED they refund what they stole from us. Told them we have two children to take care of and the money they took from us without our consent for a SECOND TIME IN LESS THAN 6 MONTHS, was supposed to be for medical and food supplies. They stated the processing of refund would take 5-7 days, time WE DID NOT HAVE. I demanded they remove all information on our account, and card and don't ever try and do this again or they would have a legal battle on their hands.

Now we are reading OTHER recent reviews, seems they are doing this to EVERYONE IN A TIME OF CRISIS when NONE of us can afford this crap! We are faced with the uncertainty now if Canceling our card, AND closing our bank account to reopen a new one would even make a difference. I am reading of those who have canceled their cards, and yet still, AVAST is finding ways to take from them by renewing subscriptions they did not ask to have renewed, or blatantly renewing when they were told to CEASE AND DESIST.

Jobs have been lost by the multitude of thousands, numbers I can't even begin to try and fathom. Parents are now home, stuck, at home, many unable to work, or having hours SEVERELY cut because they now have children to homeschool. Funds are at an all time low. NONE OF US can afford to have stupid companies going around taking from us when we have nothing we can spare, nothing to give.

This is THEFT, FRAUD. I am sitting here freaking out because my AVAST is telling me "Hey, renew your subscription, it runs out in 11 days! Hey, renew Both Avast Premium and Avast Cleanup it runs out in 11 days." And here I am wondering 'oh my god, what are we going to do if they renew both a THIRD time even if we change our card? Even if we go to extremes and close our account and reopen a new one?'

We have CHILDREN, we need to be able to take care of them, and ourselves, without worrying about some company dishonorably thieving from peoples accounts!!! The very SECOND we find another antivirus program that is free to use (there are plenty out there) and we get everything closed down AVAST is GONE, permanently, never to be used again. And you can bet, that I will be one of those people, that sit there calling them multiple times a freaking month now, to be sure they keep us the ** off their stupid renewal list. Because if this happens again, they are not just going to refund our money they are going to cover all the expenses and funds of what they DENIED us by taking from us when they KNEW and were TOLD MULTIPLE TIMES, not to take.

Original review: May 4, 2020

My credit card information changes yet I was still being billed annually for something I thought was only for one year. I did not use the product past a week after I first got it because it slowed down my internet use too much. I had no idea I was being charged for it still until now. I feel scammed. It is fraudulent to charge people for products they never use and continue charging them after the credit card has expired. I have to renew my credit card with Amazon every year, but not this company? That is fraud.

After I stopped using the product within a week after the purchase, I never saw the software again. I had no idea how to get it back even if I wanted to. Apparently I purchased in 2017 and just realized they were still charging my card after it had expired twice. I called today to be told they automatically update my card when it changes. That is outrageous. I never signed up for it. And at no time did anyone contact me to ask why I was not using the product and why it was deleted. How are they protecting anyone when they have no clue who is using it? Frauds.

Original review: April 24, 2020

I have had this software for a few year - I thought I bought one all encompassing software - driver update, Windows update, virus protection, VPN, and disc clean up and Windows clean up. I just looked at my licences and they had me buy upgrades for the next 600 to 700 days -They have no tracking of what you have, they market to you for the same stuff you have now and collect many 100s of dollars - You can't talk to anyone to get this fixed. Does Oracle now own this company - Everyone seems to be ripping a PC order off. Many add on software offerings now - separated out from before and they say you have to renew. This is false or deceptive marketing - I see others on this site are saying the same thing. Many emails to upgrade, but they don't look at their own license site - I would not trust this company - anymore. I will never renew any software - if I could I would love to get all of my money back. A Deceptive business marketing practice.

Original review: April 3, 2020

Avast is free. I've paid for two different programs and I honestly don't see any difference. I've been very satisfied. Never have to contact the company. I will invest in more of what they have to offer at a later date. I highly recommend.

Original review: April 2, 2020

Used to have Norton, but it consumed too much memory. Avast is much less CPU-intensive, and has never let in any malware or viruses. After trying the free version for over a year, I opted for the paid premium version, and have no problems. The interface is very friendly.

Original review: March 31, 2020

I think Avast is better than Norton, the only other antivirus I have used. Easy to use for people who aren't real tech savvy. The free version is sufficient for me. Of course they want to sell you the premium version.

Original review: March 29, 2020

I love Avast, because it keeps viruses out and warns me of any threats. The downside is that on older computers or low grade, it can be demanding, thus slowing it down, but on a fast computer it has no difficulties.

Original review: March 28, 2020

I discovered Avast by accident actually while looking up something else on the Play Store. I'm rather glad I did though, they deliver the protection in which they claim. I started out using the free version, within a week or less I decided to purchase the premium. Using Avast helped me realize how vulnerable my data, among other components of my device really were. Their deep and successful scans for any virus, or anything else that may be potentially malicious convinced me the importance of their service. Billing or any other technical support are prompt and knowledgeable in handling your questions or concerns. I'd highly recommend all that uses today's technology on a regular basis to give Avast a call, and start your protection today!

Original review: March 27, 2020

So far, I haven't experienced a virus since using Avast. If you can buy the service on sale, prices are good. Otherwise, they seem a bit high. They do have frequent annoying notices asking me to purchase additional services.

Original review: March 26, 2020

I like Avast, I use the free version of Avast. There is are ads but they aren't annoying or too persistent.. I had avast for years without any issue. I am happy with my current subscription. I'm thinking about buying a paid service from them because they have always offer great protection and services. I even recommended Avast to my family and friends.

Original review: March 25, 2020

The Avast has been very good. I have not had any problems since using it. My computer has always been online. I would recommend avast. Avast has kept my computer clean. The price is very competitive.

Original review: March 23, 2020

I have used the free version of Avast and there are a few ads but not too many. I have used avast for years without any issues. I am comfortable with my current subscription. I am thinking about buying a paid service from them because they have always been there and offer great protection and services. I even recommend it to my family and friends.

Original review: March 22, 2020

This program is simple, easy and can be done by even the most computer challenged user. I have used this program off and on over many years and always come back to it. I have had computer techs from various companies that I've worked for use it and install it on many computers for the companies I've worked for. AVAST has saved me many a times by cutting down time almost in half. And it helped me to be able to the work myself instead of calling and waiting on an IT to come do what AVAST can do.

Original review: March 20, 2020

All I have is them free version of Avast antivirus. My bill is $0.00. It's been quite helpful over the previous few months. It's found a few tracking cookies I hadn't after clearing it with Windows Defender.

Original review: March 11, 2020

I purchased the Avast "Premium" Subscription. For the first month or two I was pleased then I would have a window pop up and say that my computer was running slow - registry issues etc. etc. and that Avast could come to my rescue and clean this up for an addition $36+ dollars a year! I did not have these problems when I started with Avast and I did not have them with Optimum or even the program that came with Windows 10. I believe it's intentional for the additional fees. I am sorry I ever gave my Trust or hard earned money to Avast.

Original review: March 4, 2020

This product has been riddled with issues that are of no concern to the company no matter how high up in management I am able to chase. They are currently ghosting me because I asked for help and a resolution! Recognized reported issues that have been around for years (saw a review complaining of same issue in 2015) are still happening in 2020. Current issues has us replacing around a dozen computers due to core file corruption by Avast. Avast continues to try to reinstall itself over and over causing the entire system to be unusable. When trying to uninstall it causes full failure. This has caused my team hundreds of hours in support. HIGHLY suggest going with another more reputable company who will assist you when you have issues and not just take your money and run.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2020

I had a free trial for Avast Antivirus a couple years back. At the end of the trial I had canceled. However, I was charged 60.00 last year for it. I ate the cost, but checked again to make sure I had canceled. And I did. Well now, I just got charged Again, and I have an email from them stating that I was indeed canceled. So why did they take the money? Now I have an overdraft, that I cannot afford. I had opened a claim against them through my bank, and my account is frozen because of them. I cannot reach anyone, I cannot seem to get a refund. And believe you me, this is not a product I will ever recommend to anyone. I feel as though the only way to get them to stop taking money from me, especially money I don't have, is to change all my card and bank info. I really don't know what to do at this point.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

Had problem with my Avast VPN that wasn't turning off. As a subscriber of Avast Premier, I could call them and receive free assistance which I did. The associate (in the Philippines!) tried to resolve the problem but couldn’t help. I asked him if Malwarebytes that I also had running would create a conflict and be the problem since I read something about this issue. He said that there were no known issue of conflict between Avast and Malwarebytes. He then asked me if I wanted to get help from the paid Avast Tech support and sold me a $200.00 subscription.

The technician worked remotely on my PC for an hour without solving the problem then open Malwarebytes and disabled everything. The VPN was closing correctly after that. He told me that AVAST firewall was conflicting with Malwarebytes. I find that Avast totally cheated on me. If the first associate had told me that Avast could be conflicting with Malwarebytes, I could have solved the problem by myself as there was a solution on a forum. I plan to discontinued using any Avast product at the end of my subscription!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

I’m a happy Avast user but they set up automatic renewal without authorisation and then tried to charge me a huge amount way over the amount the product retails for! What sneaky and underhand tactics which shouldn’t be necessary. Punishing loyal customers! Way to go Avast!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

This is a terrible situation to be in. I have several Avast products, but when I need assistance for anything related to their product, I cannot understand a thing the assistant says. This is very disturbing to me, as I can never get answers to my questions. I just told them to stop auto pay. I hope they did. When my subscription expires, I am completely finished with this company. June.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

I had a horrible experience with Avast "free" antivirus software that was on my computer when I purchased it. I'm currently a court reporting student, and the software I need conflicts with Avast. I had to contact them twice to quit blocking my software. The first time I spoke to a woman, and she told me she could only help me if I paid for Avast's premium service. It turned out I figured out how to unblock (I know that's not the correct terminology) it on my own, so the problem was solved. However, a week later it happened again. This time it blocked it and said it was because there was a virus. I again called Avast support, and the guy I spoke to tried to convince me that this virus was taking over my hard drive, and in order to fix it, I would have to upgrade to the premium version.

He used scare tactics to try to get me to upgrade and pay for his services. He also told me that in order to remove old files from the McAfee virus protection I used to have, he had to use a "special tool" that only they had, and it would require upgrading to the premium version. I called b.s. and instead called the software company for my school program. They said the virus was not real, that Avast refused to cooperate with their software and let it not be blocked. The technician I spoke to at Avast had to have known this was not a real threat, but again they tried to scam me into upgrading to the premium version. I have since uninstalled Avast from my computer, and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone!

On the other hand, McAfee was much more helpful and professional. They didn't try to convince me to get their paid-for antivirus protection to solve the same issue I was having with them. Instead, they went ahead and uninstalled their antivirus protection from my computer without hesitation or attempts to scam me into paying for their services. I've since discovered that my computer came with other virus software that I'm very happy with and doesn't conflict with my school program software.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

Unbelievable that a big name "virus" protection software operates like dirty vandals. Recently installed unrelated software when Avast surreptitiously installed itself along with it. To my big surprise it popped up informing me they are here to "protect me". My internet browser was flipped to Bing with host of additional "pup" virus to prevent me from deleting Avast. Avast notoriously known for difficult if not impossible removal. Unfortunately I've had similar experience years ago with this same disreputable company knowing what it will take to delete their unwelcomed arrival on my PC. My recommendation is to steer clear as far as you can from them.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2020

I have been using Avast Premier, VPN. Passwords and clean-up for almost five years, and love the company. I have all of these products on both my desktop (Windows 10 Pro) and my Surface Pro 6 laptop. It took time to learn how to use the products correctly, but I am happy and will continue to use Avast. I have yet to be hacked or have any malicious malware on either of my PC's. Thank you, the product does precisely what I want it to do.

Thank YOU, Jennifer!

We're always thrilled to hear from our satisfied customers!

-Avast Team

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

Hi there! I purchased Kidinspector and wanted to track my kids, but your anti-virus blocked the soft. I wonder why your antivirus didn't notify me that it was going to block the program? Why didn't it offer me to decide if I want to remove the soft? What's going on? Why do you block programs that your users paid for? P. S. I use free Avast.

Hi, Lily:

Thanks for reaching out! Adding an exception for your Kidinspector software should resolve the issue for you. Please click Menu>Settings>General>Exceptions>Add Exception and insert the file and folder paths to the list. If you need further assistance, please reach out to us privately with your full name and subscribed email address so we can have our escalation team reach out to you directly.

Resolution response: Feb. 17, 2020

After jumping through several hoops, I've finally managed to get my $59.99 refunded from Avast. The last bit was gracious on their part. Be mindful when interacting, and choose carefully is the best I can say with any business done. Thank you for the understanding and refunding Avast.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

I used a trial version of their software as just that, a trial. Later I find that I'm charged from my PayPal account without sufficient notice. I was sure I canceled. $60 for a file removing software? Not anything else than that, something I can do on my own and even more so something I can get other software to do for even cheaper. I spent a God awful amount of time talking with a customer support representing AVAST at a call center in the Philippines in attempts to get my money back and all I got was lip service as they played it down and refused to do anything else.

I then spent even longer waiting after that trying to reach their online reps to get something done, and just more lip service how they can't do anything about the money they took from me. All of this, it's basically scam marketing. Spend a few bucks and get Norton or McAfee or another program that won't sign you up to automatically take your money especially for how expensive this is. If you waste your time with this horrible company you may just end up jumping through further hoops to leave a bad review to warn future victims like I am. tl;dr This COMPANY is SHADY and USES DECEPTIVE MARKETING to take YOUR MONEY - AVOID at ALL COSTS.

Hi, Rob:

We're sorry to hear you feel this way, but would like to help get this resolved for you. Please contact us privately with your subscribed email address, full name, date and amount of the charge, and for which product this is for and we'll be happy to assist.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

Purchased Avast Premium security two weeks ago. Today I realized that several programs were blocked and didn't work for two weeks, including Spyrix. That is a paid program I bought especially to monitor my son! The support advised me to add to it to the white list but I need the data that your premium version has deleted! Nobody will help me restore it now! That was the last time I purchased your antivirus soft.

Hi, Mary:

Please reach out to us privately here with your full name, subscribed email address, and any support ticket numbers you may have received so we can get this to our escalation team for further assistance.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

Avast was one of the most reliable programs for me, I used it for several years. BUT! Recently I installed it on my daughter's computer where I used parental control software. I was satisfied with the fact that Avast prevents me from malware until I found out that it silently blocked Kidinspector. To make it clear, I paid for Kidinspector and I needed it on my daughter's computer. Avast blocked it and all the information collected from her computer was removed. I don't know what she was doing for 3 weeks because Avast deleted the software silently and didn't notify me! I'm so disappointed!

Hi, David:

Thanks for reaching out! If you're using our firewall on her computer, creating an exception and whitelisting the software should resolve the issue. Go to our website and do a search for Firewall FAQ. The first link that pops up should be article 48, which contains instructions on how to do this. If you have any additional questions or need further assistance, please reach out to us privately and we'll be happy to assist you directly.

-Avast Team

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

I tried several weeks ago to verify whether I had canceled my subscription after the last renewal. I could not log in and was told that my email was not recognized, therefore I couldn’t verify, but I assumed because it was not recognized that I had canceled. Roughly two days before it was supposed to renew, I get an email, to that address, saying they had renewed my subscription.

When I followed the links to cancel before the deadline, I repeatedly got an error code. I reached out to the support link and never received a response. While trying to find a solution online I found a page to instruct individuals on how to get their email recognized. Really? So this is an ongoing issue and it’s up to the customer to resolve it in order to access their account? I have never had this issue with any other service, and it leads me to believe it’s intentional, and it’s concerning that a tech company would have these online customer issues if it wasn’t intentional.

My funds had already been processed by this point but I finally found an email address to request assistance, and a refund. They were quick to respond, and promised to have someone look into as soon as they could. I’m still waiting to hear anything else, and I certainly haven’t received my money. I understand that it was close to New Years, but if you’re going to renew subscriptions at this time, no matter the reason, then you should be prepared to have someone dealing with issues. Many of your customers were busy working, so I am not to sympathetic to the fact that I didn’t receive any help. I wouldn’t recommend them based upon their customer service, and the questionable nature of the login process.

Hi, Jason:

We'd like to check into this for you so we can ensure the issue gets resolved! Please contact us privately with your full name, subscribed email address, for which of our products this was for, and the email address you sent the refund request to and we'll be happy to assist!

-Avast Team

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

I have a paid membership in AVAST, that is supposed to renew every year with a 30 day notice to me. I never received an email (Yes - I searched all my folders), and when I attempted to call the phone number they recommended to complain - I was on hold for well over 45 minutes. Major problems with this product customer service. When I tried to find out which credit card they used to renew, I got a message indicating all the possible companies I would have to contact to get this minor information. Guess I will have to just scour my email for the 6 or more possible names they also said might show up on my credit card. This is a hot mess.

Hi, D.:

Thanks for reaching out! Email programs/providers occasionally mistakenly mark our emails as spam/junk. Depending on the provider or email program, it may have been automatically deleted. We'd like to help get this resolved for you, as well as ensure you were calling genuine Avast support. Please contact us privately with the number you dialed, your full name, and subscribed email address so we can better assist you.

Avast Antivirus Company Information