Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.21/5

Avast is a free antivirus software program. It also includes a password manager, Wi-Fi scanner, gaming mode and hardened browser. This software is compatible with recent versions of macOS, iOS, Android and Windows. Avast’s optional Premium and Omni editions have yearly fees but provide additional protection against malware.

Avast Antivirus Reviews

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

I’m a happy Avast user but they set up automatic renewal without authorisation and then tried to charge me a huge amount way over the amount the product retails for! What sneaky and underhand tactics which shouldn’t be necessary. Punishing loyal customers! Way to go Avast!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

This is a terrible situation to be in. I have several Avast products, but when I need assistance for anything related to their product, I cannot understand a thing the assistant says. This is very disturbing to me, as I can never get answers to my questions. I just told them to stop auto pay. I hope they did. When my subscription expires, I am completely finished with this company. June.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

I had a horrible experience with Avast "free" antivirus software that was on my computer when I purchased it. I'm currently a court reporting student, and the software I need conflicts with Avast. I had to contact them twice to quit blocking my software. The first time I spoke to a woman, and she told me she could only help me if I paid for Avast's premium service. It turned out I figured out how to unblock (I know that's not the correct terminology) it on my own, so the problem was solved. However, a week later it happened again. This time it blocked it and said it was because there was a virus. I again called Avast support, and the guy I spoke to tried to convince me that this virus was taking over my hard drive, and in order to fix it, I would have to upgrade to the premium version.

He used scare tactics to try to get me to upgrade and pay for his services. He also told me that in order to remove old files from the McAfee virus protection I used to have, he had to use a "special tool" that only they had, and it would require upgrading to the premium version. I called b.s. and instead called the software company for my school program. They said the virus was not real, that Avast refused to cooperate with their software and let it not be blocked. The technician I spoke to at Avast had to have known this was not a real threat, but again they tried to scam me into upgrading to the premium version. I have since uninstalled Avast from my computer, and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone!

On the other hand, McAfee was much more helpful and professional. They didn't try to convince me to get their paid-for antivirus protection to solve the same issue I was having with them. Instead, they went ahead and uninstalled their antivirus protection from my computer without hesitation or attempts to scam me into paying for their services. I've since discovered that my computer came with other virus software that I'm very happy with and doesn't conflict with my school program software.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

Unbelievable that a big name "virus" protection software operates like dirty vandals. Recently installed unrelated software when Avast surreptitiously installed itself along with it. To my big surprise it popped up informing me they are here to "protect me". My internet browser was flipped to Bing with host of additional "pup" virus to prevent me from deleting Avast. Avast notoriously known for difficult if not impossible removal. Unfortunately I've had similar experience years ago with this same disreputable company knowing what it will take to delete their unwelcomed arrival on my PC. My recommendation is to steer clear as far as you can from them.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

Hi there! I purchased Kidinspector and wanted to track my kids, but your anti-virus blocked the soft. I wonder why your antivirus didn't notify me that it was going to block the program? Why didn't it offer me to decide if I want to remove the soft? What's going on? Why do you block programs that your users paid for? P. S. I use free Avast.

Hi, Lily:

Thanks for reaching out! Adding an exception for your Kidinspector software should resolve the issue for you. Please click Menu>Settings>General>Exceptions>Add Exception and insert the file and folder paths to the list. If you need further assistance, please reach out to us privately with your full name and subscribed email address so we can have our escalation team reach out to you directly.

-Avast Team

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avast Antivirus?

Resolution response: Feb. 17, 2020

After jumping through several hoops, I've finally managed to get my $59.99 refunded from Avast. The last bit was gracious on their part. Be mindful when interacting, and choose carefully is the best I can say with any business done. Thank you for the understanding and refunding Avast.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

I used a trial version of their software as just that, a trial. Later I find that I'm charged from my PayPal account without sufficient notice. I was sure I canceled. $60 for a file removing software? Not anything else than that, something I can do on my own and even more so something I can get other software to do for even cheaper. I spent a God awful amount of time talking with a customer support representing AVAST at a call center in the Philippines in attempts to get my money back and all I got was lip service as they played it down and refused to do anything else.

I then spent even longer waiting after that trying to reach their online reps to get something done, and just more lip service how they can't do anything about the money they took from me. All of this, it's basically scam marketing. Spend a few bucks and get Norton or McAfee or another program that won't sign you up to automatically take your money especially for how expensive this is. If you waste your time with this horrible company you may just end up jumping through further hoops to leave a bad review to warn future victims like I am. tl;dr This COMPANY is SHADY and USES DECEPTIVE MARKETING to take YOUR MONEY - AVOID at ALL COSTS.

Hi, Rob:

We're sorry to hear you feel this way, but would like to help get this resolved for you. Please contact us privately with your subscribed email address, full name, date and amount of the charge, and for which product this is for and we'll be happy to assist.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

Purchased Avast Premium security two weeks ago. Today I realized that several programs were blocked and didn't work for two weeks, including Spyrix. That is a paid program I bought especially to monitor my son! The support advised me to add to it to the white list but I need the data that your premium version has deleted! Nobody will help me restore it now! That was the last time I purchased your antivirus soft.

Hi, Mary:

Please reach out to us privately here with your full name, subscribed email address, and any support ticket numbers you may have received so we can get this to our escalation team for further assistance.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

Avast was one of the most reliable programs for me, I used it for several years. BUT! Recently I installed it on my daughter's computer where I used parental control software. I was satisfied with the fact that Avast prevents me from malware until I found out that it silently blocked Kidinspector. To make it clear, I paid for Kidinspector and I needed it on my daughter's computer. Avast blocked it and all the information collected from her computer was removed. I don't know what she was doing for 3 weeks because Avast deleted the software silently and didn't notify me! I'm so disappointed!

Hi, David:

Thanks for reaching out! If you're using our firewall on her computer, creating an exception and whitelisting the software should resolve the issue. Go to our website and do a search for Firewall FAQ. The first link that pops up should be article 48, which contains instructions on how to do this. If you have any additional questions or need further assistance, please reach out to us privately and we'll be happy to assist you directly.

-Avast Team

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

I tried several weeks ago to verify whether I had canceled my subscription after the last renewal. I could not log in and was told that my email was not recognized, therefore I couldn’t verify, but I assumed because it was not recognized that I had canceled. Roughly two days before it was supposed to renew, I get an email, to that address, saying they had renewed my subscription.

When I followed the links to cancel before the deadline, I repeatedly got an error code. I reached out to the support link and never received a response. While trying to find a solution online I found a page to instruct individuals on how to get their email recognized. Really? So this is an ongoing issue and it’s up to the customer to resolve it in order to access their account? I have never had this issue with any other service, and it leads me to believe it’s intentional, and it’s concerning that a tech company would have these online customer issues if it wasn’t intentional.

My funds had already been processed by this point but I finally found an email address to request assistance, and a refund. They were quick to respond, and promised to have someone look into as soon as they could. I’m still waiting to hear anything else, and I certainly haven’t received my money. I understand that it was close to New Years, but if you’re going to renew subscriptions at this time, no matter the reason, then you should be prepared to have someone dealing with issues. Many of your customers were busy working, so I am not to sympathetic to the fact that I didn’t receive any help. I wouldn’t recommend them based upon their customer service, and the questionable nature of the login process.

Hi, Jason:

We'd like to check into this for you so we can ensure the issue gets resolved! Please contact us privately with your full name, subscribed email address, for which of our products this was for, and the email address you sent the refund request to and we'll be happy to assist!

-Avast Team

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

I have a paid membership in AVAST, that is supposed to renew every year with a 30 day notice to me. I never received an email (Yes - I searched all my folders), and when I attempted to call the phone number they recommended to complain - I was on hold for well over 45 minutes. Major problems with this product customer service. When I tried to find out which credit card they used to renew, I got a message indicating all the possible companies I would have to contact to get this minor information. Guess I will have to just scour my email for the 6 or more possible names they also said might show up on my credit card. This is a hot mess.

Hi, D.:

Thanks for reaching out! Email programs/providers occasionally mistakenly mark our emails as spam/junk. Depending on the provider or email program, it may have been automatically deleted. We'd like to help get this resolved for you, as well as ensure you were calling genuine Avast support. Please contact us privately with the number you dialed, your full name, and subscribed email address so we can better assist you.

Avast Antivirus Company Information