2.0/5 (1109 ratings)

About Walmart Family Mobile

Walmart Family Mobile Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Walmart Family Mobile?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Walmart Family Mobile?

Original review: April 30, 2022

Purchased prepaid phone at Spanaway WA Walmart. When I got to my truck to put in sim card from previous phone noticed back of phone and power card was missing. Returned into store to exchange purchase was told to return next day to customer service. Returned next day with receipt in hand and purchased phone found out phone in box was a different carrier phone that looked alike. Was then treated as though I was tryinfg to do some switch scam..Waited for one hour to talk to store manager then had to wait another hour just for them to tell me that I was one that switched phone and returned with another. Also was told by employee in phone dept if I wanted a refund I needed to go to phone recycle machine in front of store to get my refund. He was being an immature ** smart** who needs his ** kicked

Original review: Feb. 28, 2022

I am having Family Mobile service since last 2 years and purchased a new iPhone 12 from Apple and transferred the sim from old phone to new phone 6 months ago. The phone service was pathetic so I decided to switch to mint so ported phone number to mint and when I tried to use mint in my new phone it said phone locked by family mobile, called customer service and asked to unlock but they since the service is being used less than 12months the phone can’t be unlocked unless I pay $150. I requested them in that case get me my old phone number back. They transferred me to porting team 4 times and every time the phone was disconnected so 5th time I asked them to give me new number for my phone.

I paid 800 dollars for my new phone and I don’t understand why family mobile locked my phone. Also I am using their service for 2 years but their system says it’s less than 1 year (that’s when I changed the handset). With that logic since they provided me new number today I can’t unlock my phone for 12 months from today, it just doesn’t make sense and I feel family mobile is a cheat, stay away from family mobile.

Get buying tips about Cell Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2022

They don't offer a review of your calls unless you first send a letter requesting calls on a sworn letter that you are the owner of the phone. When my phone was deactivated and I reactivated it less than a month later it was deactivated I didn't get the full month of service that I paid for. They always say "I'm sorry" or "I understand". They don't understand and they always say there's nothing I can do. Waste of time, waste of money.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2022

The service of the Walmart Family Mobile plan is fine enough, but leaving them is a disaster. Normally when you switch plans, the number takes only a few minutes to port from the old carrier to your new one. I've tried porting a number from WFM to T-Mobile for 2 weeks now but Walmart keeps blocking it. Turns out, WFM will place a "Port Protection" on your account without your consent that prevents your number from porting to another carrier even if you have a transfer PIN. The regular customer service reps will insist they cannot help you and that you have to be directed to a "Port Protection Department" for them to resolve it, only nobody in that department picks up the phone - ever. I've been on hold for over 2 hours at a time trying to speak to someone, and there is no option to have them call you back.

In effect, you cannot transfer your phone number to another carrier, even though you are the rightful owner of the number. It is illegal for a carrier to hold your number like this, but WFM does not care. We now have no choice but to retain an attorney and threaten legal action to resolve something that should have been handled the minute we switched over our plans in the T-Mobile store. WFM is an absolutely disgraceful business. If you plan to stay with them forever then maybe you'll be fine, but otherwise be prepared for them to fight you every step of the way if you want to leave.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2021

My phone was stolen and the number was changed while I was sleeping and I called Family Mobile to tell them my problem and I was put on hold for over an hour and eventually I was hung up on..I'm very upset I gave them the Sim number and they told me yeah the number was changed and asked me the last numbers I called which I did and they said they didn't match their records.. IDK how it didn't match their records..

Original review: Aug. 15, 2021

Updated on 05/10/2022: UPDATE: This issue was finally resolved in December of 2021 after many, many hours of frustrating phone calls and back-and-forth emails. But then it led to a new and equally frustrating problem, which is that I cannot make a payment online. They have a "system error" that requires that I call them each time, waste LITERALLY close to 2 hours each time, and this last time, they made me purchase a refill card, guaranteeing me that this would solve the problem...and I still got the error message! So I wasted all my money, and I still don't have any phone service! How are these people still in business???

Original Review: Had no issues till I changed my phone number. Ever since then, my phone number is not considered valid anywhere. The worst consequence of this is that I can't receive one-time pins, so now that everyone wants me to verify that it's me (because of my new number), their pins can't get through, so I can't do my banking, for example, which is all online. I can't transfer funds, which means payments will bounce and cost me money! Worst customer service/tech support on the planet. They're all in the Philippines - don't speak English, don't understand it either. It's absolute torture dealing with them, and they're lazy liars as well. It's been a week now since I changed my number, and still, after many hours wasted on the phone with them, they have not fixed it. T-Mobile is too cheap to hire people who SPEAK ENGLISH! Instead, they choose to torture their customers with these incompetent but cheaper employees! Shame on you, T-Mobile!

Original review: Aug. 5, 2021

I have been carrying my grandson’s phone service for over 2 years. His dad is now going to take over with a different carrier. We have tried for 3 months to get his phone unlocked to switch carriers. We found out TODAY they reassigned his number to another customer. Family Mobile apparently has not synchronized their policy among depts because after being disconnected NUMEROUS times, more than 15 calls and being told since he didn’t have his NEW PHONE 12 months we would have to pay $300 to get it unlocked, someone who identified as a supervisor said, since SERVICE was more than 12 mths they would unlock it free.

He transferred us to The Unlock Dept. We told her the SAME responses and scenarios we told the last 6 people, her conclusion...they could/would NOT do it. When asked to speak to ANOTHER manager, she put us on hold. After 5 minutes, we were AGAIN disconnected. This is by far the WORST customer service I have experienced. Incohesive, and definitely not pro-customer.

Original review: July 24, 2021

I've had Family Mobile for 10 years. Over the last several years the service has eroded drastically. Takes forever to speak to an 'associate'. On top of that it's hard to speak to someone who does not speak English very well. Even with 'unlimited' my data upload would slow down after a week or so and my internet reception would dwindle as time went on as well. Use to be what I thought was a good company. May have sold out to another, not sure. Transferred to TMobile. Took forever to transfer my number. Found out they wanted to charge me $54 to UNLOCK the phone I purchased from them! Absolutely WOULD NOT recommend family mobile to anyone.

Original review: July 14, 2021

I tried lowering my plans twice through the web portal. The first time I noticed billing didn't change, so I did it again. The following statement showed no change in plan. Therefore, I call customer service. They told me it didn't change because I was enrolled in auto-pay. No credits are offered, so I'm taking my business elsewhere.

Original review: July 8, 2021

Wow, I have had so many problems with this service, it's slow, half the time it won't load. So I have had this service for about 6 years and I go to pay this month and Walmart Family Mobile tells me I can pay the month with my reward points. I say sure, and do it. Then next day, I can't text, no phone calls. I go to my account and it says not due again till 8/6 so I'm like wtf? Then I get a message that I need to pay. I'm like which is it dudes? So, after 2 or 3 hours of incompetent back and forth, I called **, that was yesterday, the SIM is already here. Dump Walmart's service, it sucks.

Walmart Family Mobile Company Information