1.29/5

692 Walmart Family Mobile Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I have a very great deal on home phone service ($18/month) with which I am very happy. Due to a disability and other issues, I don't have a great need for a cell phone. I don't have much of a life and don't get out much. I chose Family Mobile for primarily use when I travel once every couple of months for doctors’ appointments in a town 100 miles away, usually for 3 to 4 days. I bought the cheapest phone they offer and use the $24.88 plan. I don't use voice very often, but have never had trouble with signal or quality of call. Being old school, I use a laptop instead of the phone for data needs.

The hotspot feature works most of the time, but is aggravating once it slows to 2G. I'm not sure if it's Family Mobile or just the nature of the beast of being at 2G. In roughly two years, I've call customer support once. The phone would not accept a new service card. The rep answered quickly and he found the SIMS card needed to be replaced with an updated one. I was sent one for free and received it quickly. I don't text. The Family Mobile works well for my needs.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I've been a My Family Mobile customer since 2012... and I'm so far thrilled with the service... the cell phone service, that is to say. As with most other cell companies, customer service is going to be a bit lacking, as they DO outsource calls to someone who obviously speaks English as a second language. Thankfully, I've had exactly three instances in the last six years that I've had to do this. The first was in setting up a second line for my wife, the second was in setting up a third line for my son, and the third was in replacing me and my wife's old, old SIM cards to the newer, updated ones (the old ones worked, but they were getting worn out and didn't support VOLTE or WiFi calls). That being said, these calls to customer service weren't entirely painful... just slow and prodding. They got the job done, though.

Insofar as cell service goes, it's T-Mobile, so it's great. I've had no issues in accessing my account or paying my bills online either, though I DO wish there was a dedicated Android app for this. Not a huge deal, though, just would be nice. The service for Truly Unlimited service is awesome. I have GREAT voice service and LTE data speeds in my area (usually a solid 30 to 40 Mbps, sometimes with jumps up to 50-60 or so, and once in a while down to 15-20, depending on my location). Make sure T-Mobile has good coverage in your usage area, though, by checking a service map, first. And the price is right... Truly Unlimited everything for three lines runs me just over a hundred bucks a month, taxes and everything included. Far better than Verizon or AT&T, and right on par with T-Mobile's own pricing. In my area, Sprint and its subsidiaries suck.

All of these little niggles aside, I'd still give them five stars, as most cell companies are going to have their own customer service quirks. Here is the issue, though... you ABSOLUTELY NEED to bring your own phone. It's not technically required, as they do offer phones for sale online and in store, but do yourself a favor and buy your own GSM unlocked or T-Mobile compatible device (unlocked if you can)... Walmart's selection is either lacking, poor performing, overly expensive, or all three... and you STILL have to pay for that phone outright in store or online anyway.

Buying a device from them doesn't give you the benefit of paying for the phone over time on your monthly bill with monthly installments, as with major carriers. And buying their devices in store, you're still purchasing a carrier locked phone (T-Mobile in this case) with all of the carrier bloatware preinstalled. But, I get all of this, since it's a pay as you go, prepaid plan. Here's the thing... their customer service for their hardware is HORRIBLE... period... They outsource everything and the people in the stores don't know jack about their own devices.

I have three, personally purchased, unlocked devices I got on Amazon currently on my plan and they work great. I've swapped my phone several so far and my wife's once... no issues at all; simply put the old SIM in the new phone, and you're ready to go. All six unlocked phones I've purchased from Amazon have all worked great with no fuss. When my first phone died, I needed a phone the same day and bought one in store. It worked well enough (if a bit slowly) for a year and started flaking out. I'm a tech savvy guy... no amount of reloading or debloating fixed the issue... It just ran like crap after that.

Tech support basically told me that it was a service issue since the phone powered on and was working properly from their perspective... the "warranty" didn't apply. Service support said the service was running fine (verified by me by putting my SIM in my wife's phone). I finally gave up and got a new unlocked phone elsewhere. No issues since, and that was two phones ago.

Oh, and good luck unlocking that My Family Mobile phone if you want to use it elsewhere... Walmart won't release the phone for unlock since it's a T-Mobile device, and T-Mobile doesn't recognize it as one of theirs since payments go through My Family Mobile and the phone isn't registered to any T-Mobile account. Being T-Mobile, there's no means to PIN unlock it either... it uses that lovely T-Mobile Unlock app... T-Mobile has to unlock it remotely on their end. You're kind of at a dead stop if you want to unlock it, unless you're willing to pay REALLY high fees to have a third party service to unlock it.

Even the cheaper services that provide unlock pins for 15 to 20 dollars will end up having to charge you 40 to 60 dollars to unlock these devices, since they have to pay T-Mobile to release the device. Again, don't buy their phones... they suck. That's the caveat. If you have or are willing to get your own devices elsewhere (as I do), your experience with MFM will be great. Otherwise, you might regret the decision, if for no reason other than their horrible hardware support.

Get expert buying tips about Cell Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 16, 2018

I've never had any issue with this T-Mobile offshoot (now with TracFone). Anytime I have to call for anything from tech help to bill questions, the reps (while somewhat hard to understand...) are always polite and helpful. The service coverage is wonderful. I get service in my Cube where others on the bigger carriers don't. I really feel for the other reviewers who've had such problems. I have all 4 family members and my wife's parents on this service and we couldn't be happier. And it's frickin' cheap!!

Original review: June 9, 2018

I had cellphone service from nearly all the carriers from Verizon, T-mobile, AT&T etc with varying levels of results. I came to realize that what phone I had made a bigger difference than the carrier. That is, if there isn't any problems with reception. The only problems I had with this service I have now is lousy customer service. I get the same reception, clarity and overall performance with Wal-Mart Family mobile as the other name brands and the cost is considerably less. Funny thing though, when T-Mobile took over Wal-Mart Family mobile I did notice a slight drop in performance. Small but notable. Who would have thought?

Original review: June 3, 2018

This is a narrow focused review about iPhones only and wifi calling. Service rep was very good, and got a little frustrated, but we worked together fine. After talking to Apple support also, I found out that ALL iPhones do not work with Wifi calling feature. It is not the sim card. I do not understand why this is a problem and FM does not support Wifi Calling. It works for all droid phones, even the cheap $20 phones work. So I think FM should make a policy change and make this happen so that all iPhones work with this feature. So if you use this feature and want an iPhone, think twice as it will not work.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Walmart Family Mobile?

Original review: May 16, 2019

I just had it with the Walmart family mobile system. I've went to change phones as a walmart family prepaid phone for an upgrade for work. Switched the sim card over. Worked just fine and all after going through 30 minutes of customer service, a couple weeks later it deactivates in the middle work causing a lot of problems along the way and the plan of was not even about 14 days from being expired. They complain that I switched phones and they need receipt for it to reactivate my phone IMEI. I go to walmart to buy a new phone and to get a receipt to see if that works. I tell them that I have receipt and all. So I can go to work well that did not work either because to activate my new phone with my old Sim card they tried to tell me that I need to buy a new plan for that sim card. So if you like to be scammed and lied to walmart family mobile would be just perfect for you. Completely unreliable.

Original review: April 30, 2019

Walmart discriminates against mothers. I stopped in the Rosewood NC store to get my groceries, and although I’m fifty-three and was buying over $170 worth of groceries, they would not sell me a couple of bottles of wine because my teenage daughter was with me. The salesperson’s decision was held up by her manager when I asked for him to be called. By their reasoning, I should not be allowed to order a glass of wine at a restaurant when my daughter is with me. Does Walmart really think only childless people drink wine?

Original review: April 28, 2019

Minus 5 Stars: After having my phone number for decades and having everything I own attached to it, Family Mobile decided to expire my phone number without telling me about this. In doing so, they switched someone else's phone number to my phone. After hours on the phone w/ their "customer service" they've explained that I haven't had my phone number since 10/2017 when I purchased the new phone. They have erased my phone messages plus taken my phone messages off my boyfriend's phone. Now I've tried to take the phone to Verizon to start a new service, but Family Mobile has to unlock my phone, that I paid for outright. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY! CUSTOMER SERVICE WILL LIE OUTRIGHT AND NOT ASSIST YOU!

Original review: April 27, 2019

Bought a ZTE Pro Max. 2 years ago. 3 weeks after I bought it it stopped working. Store wouldn't take it back. Keep it for some reason. Oh the model was discontinued. Now 2 years later it works just fine. But it's locked. They wouldn't unlock. I didn't have their service for a year. 12 continuous months. Wait - I bought my phone out right. Box says no contract. I was told this information is in the terms and conditions. Where are they located. Inside the box? This is false advertising. Stuck with a $300.00. Bad service all around. This site made me give it a star I would give them none.

Original review: April 27, 2019

Their customer service is the worst. I was lied to multiple times and hung up on twice by supervisors. They say they have no authority to make any decisions to help you. I was on the phone multiple times for hours to no avail. It was a total waste of time. I will never be a customer of them or T-Mobile ever again.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Purchased a kit to activate my phone (4/15/2019) but was refused, in store service. Was told that management doesn't allow them to activate phones in store. Activated phone myself, but service was terrible. Kept going in and out. Now I know why they refused to activate phone in store because they knew there would be a problem getting service. Money should have been refunded but they told me that once kit is purchase there's no refund. People DON'T PURCHASE this service unless they clean up their act. Going back to Straightalk. I live about 3 miles from Walmart and service is even worse. Most of the time there's service at all. I guess that what I get for trying to save a few dollars lol.

Original review: April 13, 2019

Walmart Family Mobile is using the T-Mobile network which already has too much traffic on it as it is, and that's the least of the issues one will face. The biggest issue is: most of the representatives, with a rudimentary vocabulary, sound like they are from India and will not let you finish saying you have to say. Unless, you solicit the help of a supervisor or manager, it will be arduous to accomplish anything. I was unable to use my hotspot for days because, the system did not restart my availability. After spending approximately 3 hours on the phone with them; instead of fixing it, one of the managers told me that there was an outage in T-Mobile's towers. I contacted T-Mobile to establish the veracity of her statement; T-Mobile said they were not aware of such problem and that everything was fine on their end... That is very unprofessional and deceitful at best!!!

Original review: April 9, 2019

After paying my bill to reactivate my service and spending nearly 5 hours on the phone, two additional trips to Walmart to get my payment applied to my account. I ended up being 2 airtime cards. I added them to my phone's and I still don't have service. This is day 2. Now I can't even call 611. It tells me to wait for the pending transaction to go through in about 5 minutes. Then ends the call. It has been 4 hours!

Original review: April 7, 2019

Walmart wouldn’t fill my eye drop script and I have pink eye. I’m on Medicaid and I have 1 pharmacy (Roberts) that Medicaid fills my scripts at. But it was Saturday and they were closed so I went to Walmart, to pay Cash for my eye drops. Not only did they refuse to let me get and pay for my script, they said they called Medicaid and told me that Medicaid said that I couldn’t pay for my eye drops either! **! First no one is in the Medicaid office on Saturdays to even talk to, second, who in the hell tells someone that they can’t pay cash for their script! They caused me to have pink eye longer with no meds! I will never even shop there again! The pharmacy is unprofessional!

Original review: April 6, 2019

I renewed the service plan this morning. I have had the phone 30 days and needed to renew. Purchased a card AT WALMART, renewed plan and phone did not work. Tried for two hours to contact customer service. THEY DO NOT HIRE ANYBODY IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. When dialing 611 I kept getting Honduras and then another South American Country. They stated that they see that the plan was renewed but their system could take 4-6 hours to update. At this point I determined I would just go buy another phone with a different carrier but no refunds are issued. The customer service was terrible. I made a mistake by utilizing this Mobile Service and will not do so again. I feel that Walmart obviously is trying to hire low wage workers outside of their own country to "call center" problems regarding the phones. NOT COOL.

Original review: April 6, 2019

Woke up this morning to a new phone number that I did not ask for. I been on the phone with these people for over an hour with absolutely no resolution. Now they’re telling me I have to wait 24 hours to see if my phone number is still available. I said, "That’s not acceptable. It needs to be fixed immediately and I need to credit because this is a huge issue for me." My kids can’t get a hold of me. My job can’t get a hold of me. Now my phone is asking for a new IDs and everything else. I have to be connected to Wi-Fi to use it. Horrible customer service. Horrible.

Original review: April 2, 2019

Had high expectations but it was not that good. I wanted something with great products in it but turned out, it came with dollar things which are not of good quality. I will surely not recommend it to anyone.

Original review: March 28, 2019

I have made five unsuccessful trips to Walmart to try to transfer over to the Family Mobile plan. Each time that I tried to purchase the Galaxy 7 for $99 with activation the store was unable to activate the phone due to the system being down therefore I had no choice but to choose another carrier and I am now paying twice the amount of money than I would have if I were able to purchase Walmart Family Mobile.

Original review: March 22, 2019

I have been getting the unlimited talk, data plan for about one year and a half. They are not true about unlimited because once you reach a certain point on the data they cut your data service off. Now unlimited don't mean limited. It means as it says unlimited. So how can you say unlimited. When there is a limit to how much data I use on a unlimited plan. Not fair. Be true to your wireless plan.

Original review: March 6, 2019

T-MOBILE WHO RUNS WALMART FAMILY TOWERS ARE SCREWING ALL VERIZON. Had trouble WITH MY GALAXY S6 ORIGINALLY a VERIZON PHONE which had been in use on the T-Mobile system for several years. It lost cell towers. Went to repair shop they put in new antenna. Still would not acquire cell towers. Tried activating with a new SIM card and phone number through the 800 number. New sim card system adding a new number to my main account. Internet for a family so decided the customer support would activate it. All the lady would do is tell me my phone would not work on their network because it was a Verizon phone, so she would not activate the SIM.

I tried to explain many times the phone was a late model unlocked phone and would work on any network and had worked for several years on their system. She just refused to listen. Finally asked to talk to a supervisor. The supervisor was reading some page in a manual that said the same thing as the previous rep. In effect, they are kicking out all the previous users who brought a Verizon phone to their network and forcing them to buy a new T-Mobile phone to continue using the network. Why, Because they can by taking over the Family Mobile system. You'll have to decide if it's worth it. Me, I'll stick with paying a little by now adding a line to get a new number and selling the old phone to someone who wants Verizon.

So far I have been very unsatisfied with their customer support. And they are obviously making a calculated decision to kick out all the previous users who used their network. They gave no reason other than Verizon phones are not compatible with their system. Will not answer when the system changed to drop old phones that work previously. All in all a bad decision that screwed millions of customers.

Original review: March 4, 2019

I have been with Family Mobile for a number of years, paid my service every month even with my data nor voicemail working for the past two months I hung in there due to the affordability, but after being stuck in a traffic jam for 2.5 hours with no service and GPS would never load due to service bar being no existent I said enough I am switching. Purchased a BYO phone through AT&T, now Family Mobile will not unlock my number. I have been told 5 different reasons one rep stated my phone is not compatible, one rep said it may take up to 24 hours one rep said it wasn't locked... This is my phone I paid for it and they are paid in full I don't owe them a dime, to do this to a person is completely beyond my reasoning and something has to be done... I have a meeting set with my family attorney this evening... because this is unfair and I'm not going to stand for it.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I called and was trying to add a new phone to an existing line, and after a 3 hour call they couldn't add the phone and took off the existing and then couldn't added it back on. It took my son getting online and adding my original phone. VERY UPSETTING LOOKING FOR ANOTHER COMPANY!!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I wouldn't even give them a star but I wouldn't be able to leave a review if I didn't put one. Do not I repeat DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY! I bought two phones for my kids and my first purchase I tried activating the phones and they would work. Customer service told me to take them back and return them because they were basically lemons so I did and exchanged them for another phone and brand. Got home. Only one worked and the other didn't receive certain messages and calls. Mind you my son only has 8 contacts in his phone. Called customer service once again and they went through the whole troubleshooting thing multiple times and also asked me to make sure I know how to dial out that I need to use a 10 digit number like I'm dumb then they called the phone and it went through. After that they didn't want to help anymore because the phone call they made to phone went through.

They said the phone was working when it wasn't. Only certain calls and texts come through. They weren't understanding and told me to call me in a few days. I called back in a few days and the same thing. Turn the phone on and off. Troubleshooting crap. Nothing was working. Finally they made a ticket number or whatever and said the network people would work on it to give them 72 hours. I called back a few days later to tell them the issue was not resolved that I wanted a refund that I was sick of turning on and off the phone, master resetting it, troubleshooting it over and over again and I argued with one customer service then got transferred to the refund department where these people were even more rude. Told me to do the troubleshooting again.

I did and nothing then they asked me to make a call to my son's phone from my other phone. I did and went to straight to voice mail. Didn't even ring on my son's end nor did he get any notification of a missed call. I told the lady and she said and I quote, "I don't believe you put me on speaker so I can hear it." Are you kidding me. After she hears it goes right to voicemail. She tries to call on her end and the same thing. Voicemail. I told her, "Do you see I'm sick of playing these games. Your service the one I paid for isn't working. I'm done with all the running around crap. Give me a refund." Goes, "Let me ask my manager."

After mins of waiting she goes, "Ok. What's the debit card you used?" I explained to her that when I exchange the phone multiple times the store just gave me cash. She goes, "We can't refund you the money because you didn't go through us." Are you kidding me? I bought your product from the store that you sell your stuff from? Ridiculous. The lady was very rude. Her name was ELINE ID # **. Maybe a lie. Who knows with them. Even asked for corporate's number. Said she didn't know it. I literally wasted my time and money so please don't waste your time and money. Worst experience ever!!!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I went to port my number from Boost Mobile to Family Mobile and Family Mobile charged my mom's card 30 dollars and take down all my info and says Boost Mobile denied the port and gives me no explanation why. So I go up to Boost Mobile store and they tell me they can't access my account because it's been ported over to another company so I go to Family Mobile store and they tell me they can't port the number because the account is closed.

But my mom's debit card was charged 30 dollars for a month of service and this port to be done yet the phone still says no service in the top left corner and both Boost Mobile and Family Mobile are pointing the fingers at each other and Family Mobile keeps telling me text 611611. Well the phone has no service on it so I can't text anyone from it but I promise you. I am going to spend the entire day today posting about this matter until it is resolved. No one takes money from my 60 year old mother that still works on her feet every day and gets away with it.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

Walmart Family Plan stole my money. We disconnected our phones but we denied a refund for the money we had already paid. After a long call with multiple customer service representatives who barely spoke English we were told that we couldn’t get our money back or reconnect the lines to expire up to what we paid for. They are thieves.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

If I could give a negative number of stars I would. Do not purchase this service. You will be utterly disappointed and left all alone. I purchased an LG Rebel. The only thing I like about the phone is that it has a lot of memory for applications. However when you set the screen timeout to 1 minute to 30 minutes never fail it always times out at 12 seconds.

During the summer I was outside mowing my large yard. I have a lot of health issues and I passed out. I was so sick and I could barely move. I went to my phone on Walmart Family Mobile and the screen was frozen. It would not let me use the emergency screen nor my 4 digit pass code. With no way to call 911 nor my wife who was inside the house or any neighbors being outdoors I laid in the grass in and out of consciousness for almost an hour. Thanks to the Lord Jesus I did not die but thanks to Walmart I had no way to call an ambulance or 911. Someone finally found me after an hour.

Called Walmart Family Mobile. You will always be switched to another country like India of totally uncaring people who also can't understand you nor think quickly. They are unwilling to help make their service better nor give refunds nor incentives to make your customer service experience better. When I buy a higher limit refill card and I don't use all the data I lose it. When I don't purchase enough data you purchase each additional gigabyte at $10 per gig. Walmart Family Mobile sends you text reminders to purchase additional gigabytes but when I do as not part of the original refill purchase card my additional gigabytes always run at 2g instead of 4g speeds. So basically you just give them more money and get nothing in return. I have been out of hundreds of dollars of money that I have not had full use for money's worth from this sorry excuse for cell service.

Here is the real kicker! When you contact these Indians they will tell you to call Walmart's main office. When you call the corporate office or take your phone to the store for return Walmart in America will tell you "That's Walmart Family Mobile and you will need to talk to them." It has your brand name on it then. Why can't you stand behind your products? What they do is down right criminal. 2 reasons why Walmart does this. One is they pay their foreign call centers very low wages. Way less than America. 2 is because those foreign call centers will not be subject to the same laws. Bottomline. If I would have died that day due to me not having a phone that could work properly and contact emergency assistance, I would have hoped my family sued Walmart for millions!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

If I could put zero stars I would. I went to add a new phone to a current line, and the customer service agent messed it up by adding a new line to my new phone. Now I have to wait 24 to 48 hours for an IT agent. They suck. Walmart is so ** cheap. They would hire cheap scam artists overseas to handle their customer support instead of letting me talk to someone that speaks and understands English. ** them... And if what I said is against your TOS then you can speak to me personally.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

SIM card and 39 plan great with 14 GB... but added 10 International calling and that's been a fiasco. No like... 6 days of trying help lines, chats, emails, phone calls with absolutely no results... Transferred up the line like 10 times in 1 call. No help whatsoever!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

My texting messages are not supposed to be from Google. I fell for them and provided personal info. OMG. The hackers trick you and if you are not aware send your info. Stay with a reputable telephone provider. Pay big bucks but save your personal data from crooks. I reported to credit bureau and federal government on fraud alert. This company through T-Mobile is not secure enough to prevent this problem. Buyer be aware.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

Had trouble activating a new SIM card through the internet for a family member, so decided to call customer support to have them activate it. All the ignorant lady would do is tell me my phone would not work on their network because it was a Verizon phone, so she would not activate the SIM. I tried to explain many times the phone was a late model unlocked phone and would work on any network. She just refused to listen. Finally went back to the internet and was able to get the SIM card activated that way. They can charge cheaper rates because they use some cheapo call center with folks reading some page in a manual. You'll have to decide if it's worth it. Me, I'll stick with paying a little more for Verizon. So far I have been very satisfied with their customer support. If one person can't help me, they will find someone who can.

Walmart Family Mobile Company Information