Walmart Family Mobile
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Walmart Family Mobile

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 15, 2017

592 Walmart Family Mobile Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I called several times to get my phone settings right, they sent me the wrong instructions for my phone. Then I called again and they kept telling me to reboot the phone. They must be really stupid because they did not know what to do, just kept on telling me to turn off the phone and turn it back on, hell even the recording when you call tell you to turn off and then on your phone and they will wait. (Just How stupid do they think we are) When you turn off the phone you disconnect your call then you have to call them back. This company needs to fire the CEO and Managers who run this operation, they are running it into the ground with this poor service. I will be looking to change companies.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I called for customer service today 20 times exact to speak with a supervisor. And she was very rude. On the phone back and forth with them about shutting one of my phones off. They not only talk over you but also are rude. Bad enough these companies are in foreign lands. But to be ignorant to Americans who pay their salaries. They have the worst, rude, condescending people I've ever encountered! I have called so many times. To get help and they hang up or pass the phone game. Sorry you cannot understand us!! We surely can't understand you either. So don't bother with Family Mobile... Phone is good. Customer Service is awful!!!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I have had WalMart Family Mobile for several years now with some issues, but nothing that I usually can't get fixed easily but for some reason this month my bill wasn't what it should have been. I'm trying to explain that I'm supposed to have TWO phones on my bill but all I get being repeated back to me was the price of ONE phone and being told that my husband's phone hadn't came up for payment time (both phones are on one account) under my name.

When I asked to be transferred to an U.S. Office as the law states that I can, because the office I'm talking with is in Columbia I am told that there is NO number I can be given. I did however get a corporate e-mail. This experience this morning has taken several tries with a human voice on the other end and with the automated system to be fixed. Very bad service along with the issue of being told that they DO NOT have a corporate number for you to call. No did they have the number of the Florida, U.S. number to give me as I requested that by law I am supposed to be able to get.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

Been using my own unlocked phones for over two years now. Had trouble with getting internet in beginning but then all was fine until summer of 2017. One out of 5 calls could either not hear me or I couldn't hear them. CSR's and store employees are great and friendly but do not know how to help... Nor fix problems. If there is a class action, I would join.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I purchased a T-Mobile phone from Walmart/Sardis Lane/Charlotte NC in January 2014 and received the poorest customer service ever. The store employee's name is Virgil who rang up my purchase. When I tried to use my phone the same day, my I-net was turned off. I went with a friend to the store and requested that Walmart refund my entire purchase. The cashier did not dare not to. Since then, I have never purchased any phones from Walmart.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about T-Mobile?

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

We've been Walmart Family Mobile customers since 2014. We've been on autopay since then and NEVER had a problem until their recent transition to TracFone. Since then (3 months) my bill has been incorrect. First I was being charged for an additional line. Once I straightened that out and received a refund for that phantom line I was charged the following month for only 1 line (I have ONLY 2 on my acct.). I called to straighten that out and I was assured it would automatically renew correctly. It did not. I was at work trying to use my phone and I received the message that I needed to call in to renew. I did.

Then this month, finally, the auto renew was correct, but then I seen my renewal for next month was again for an additional line on top of my two. So proactively I called, several times, and was told the bill was computer generated and their "managers" which is apparently everyone's title there, could do nothing about it. I did. I cancelled the auto pay and when I did my bill went down again to the charge for just one line.

I don't have the time, or patience to be calling them several times a month for nothing to be corrected. On top of that, and I'm no xenophobe, but NONE of their customer care has English as a first language and I can never fully understand them, which obviously is a problem for them as well, because they have not gotten anything right. Walmart Family Mobile really screwed up by selling out to TracFone. My last call was just moments ago and let them know that if my dashboard does not show the correct renewal amount a week before it's time to renew, that I will cancel.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

Best price for the way my husband and I use our phones. We actually use them as phones and not as minicomputers. Family Mobile is through Walmart.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

The worst foreign pieces of ** I've ever had to deal with. They kept me on the phone for almost an hour then disconnected me and had to call them back just for them to tell me they won't help me at all! I've had this junk phone for about a month and it is controlling it's self more than I am. It freezes and resets my alarm for me. Won't let me move anything to my memory card. Family Mobile employees are very rude. Never again! Don't start phone service with them it will be the biggest mistake you will ever make!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

Do not do business with them. Zero stars not offered. I purchased Walmart Family mobile with 4 phones a few years back (over two years). I did not have problems until they were purchased by another phone company. However I paid my bill every month like clockwork on the 15th. After the buyout they changed my billing date to the 12th of the month. I called complained and wanted the date to be the 15th to match up with pay days... This went nowhere. OK, I pay monthly and adjust my budget accordingly.

Today I find that they charged an account I was using to pay bills in the past automatically and WITHOUT authorization. This charge hit an account that was not prepared for that charge costing me an NSF on top of what they withdrew... I call customer support (1877-440-9758). First support person apologizes and offers to unenroll me from auto pay. Not good enough as I NEVER authorized auto pay. Second support person I speak to apologizes and says it was a system glitch and offers to refund me the $160.77, but says they cannot do anything about the NSF fee. I said this is not acceptable and asked to speak to a supervisor. I then wait roughly 8-10 minutes more for the next person. She apologizes and says she can offer me a month free on ONE phone. All apologies - but really how can one trust doing business with a company that will MISUSE your credit card Information.

Here is my problem: They charged an account 3 days before the account was due. They never had authorization to do so as I never enrolled in auto pay (They stated it was a glitch). No guarantee that the issue will not occur again. Compensation was, “Sorry here is one month Free on one phone...” I can afford to pay my bills. I don't want you TOUCHING my accounts without authorization. I move money between accounts Just to prevent this type of UNAUTHORIZED access from occurring. Poor customer support. Unethical business practices as I know I am not the only one that has complained about this. Canceling cards to prevent further access and will change phone services. Enough is enough. My question is HOW can business be allowed to do this?

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I called customer service today 20 times exact to speak with a supervisor. They changed the prices again for the 3rd month in a row now. I call in and ask why different prices on each phone when they all have the same plan. No one could answer why. The supervisor did not know why and claimed, "You must have overpaid." I said, "No. I paid what was exactly owed last month." He said, "Well I'm not sure. Maybe it will be corrected next bill." I asked, "So you're saying bill will be different now on 4th month?" He said, "I cannot tell you that till your next bill." This was a good company till they sold out. Now the new company don't know anything about issue you call about not even billing. If you are looking to use this company, DON'T... I cannot believe Wal-Mart and T-mobile are letting this company ruin their Name.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

Every month my bill is different. They add $10.00 on my bill or they change my plan and told me I would have to call before my renewal and let them know what plan I want. My calls start dropping, I cannot get no help. They act as they do not understand them on two of the phone number. They do not have no history on them, so I do not know what is going on. So I would be paying $80.00 for 1GB for one phone with a Family Mobile service and it’s suppose to be 3 numbers (line) on 1 account for $67.00 that is with the $5.00 discount for additional line with better service. And I suppose they got the same service because when I call the call drop or they was just holding the phone.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

The recent switch from T-Mobile to TracFone has my calls always dropping. Constant bad connections. Repeated bad connections and very poor data speeds. I will be switching to another carrier and I suggest you save yourselves the headache.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

Wish I could give "0" stars, but that's not an option. I'm not one to write reviews, but my frustration limit has been reached. I was very happy with Walmart Family Mobile for several years, sharing a multi-line discount with my son. It was a good value and reliable service for me. Since the takeover/buyout or whatever by TracFone, I totally agree with all the other unhappy people here. The worst customer service. Long hold times. Agents who may speak English, but do not understand the language. That has become quite obvious. Assurances that your issue has been resolved, and yet it starts up again the next month. About 5 months now of long, long hold times, "Oh, yes, it's resolved now" just to satisfy you, get you off the phone and it really isn't.

My son has been transferred and put on hold for hours on end. My son and I used to have ONE BILL, on the SAME DAY. Reflected the discount. No problems, no need to contact anyone in customer service. Now, for some reason, he keeps getting deactivated each month, one day after my service is paid. And, not being a data user, I use 1 GB, and keep getting bumped up to a higher priced 3GB plan automatically. They have changed it back on the phone, and it still reverts. I have changed it back online, and same thing.

My understanding is that the bill for prepaid was to be cheaper than postpaid, yet my bill varies every month for no reason! Their customer service wears you down with the incredibly long hold times. They probably figure I won't wait an hour or two to resolve a $10 error x how many customers? Seems like they are making a lot of money on errors, hoping people just ignore them. So sad to see this once-good-value go downhill so drastically, and to top it off, the quality of the calls as well. Not the same at all.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

Everything was fine before TracFone took over. Since then, I've gotten nothing but extremely rude customer service people, "supervisors" who know even less than their employees do, extension denials, and general disrespect. Now they have cut my data down to 2G, which is worthless to me. Oh, my display screen says 4GLTE alright, but I only have a 2G connection. It's called throttling, and it's WORTHLESS to me. It wouldn't be so bad if they hadn't throttled it five minutes after I paid for another month of "truly unlimited" data. Now I can't even adjust to the lack of data. I am highly heated and extremely disgusted with this company. Tracfone really ruined a good service. I'll be leaving as soon as possible. I'd advise other people to stay away from this provider. You won't get your money back because they have no integrity. You can get a voice plan and 2G service from anybody, and you might even get good customer service with that!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

Readiness sells under different names inc. Family Mobile. Never make payments with credit card or debit card. You cancel your service they will charge you another month and say no refunds. I spent over 90 min on phone and was not going to hang up. I cancelled again and took pic of conversation. Told the guy start running if they charge me again.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

I have had Walmart Family Mobile service for years, then they changed to TracFone from T-Mobile and the service is not good. I decided to change carriers as I was not in a contract with Walmart Family Mobile. I had just purchased a phone in July from Walmart because my phone I had with them was over 2 years old and kept going dead. When I went to T-Mobile they finally got my phone numbers ported over and we then need them to unlock my phone so I could use it with T-Mobile. I purchased this phone outright, did not make payments on it and always paid my bill. Walmart Family Mobile (TracFone) would not unlock my phone because I had just purchased it in July even though I had their service for years and did not owe them anything on the phone. I had to purchase another phone with T-Mobile.

When I purchased the new telephone in July, I purchased it online with Walmart but Family mobile but they could not get it activated, I had to have them refund the phone and actually purchase a phone in the store. I worked for over 2 hours each day for 2 days to activate the phone and it would not active and Trac-fone was no help. I actually went to the Walmart store and was there for 4 hours till we finally got a phone activated. I also had a hard time trying to get in my account every month after the change and it would take me 30 minutes or longer to get in, they would say my password was not valid so I would have them send me an email and it still would not work with the password they would give me. SO I loved them when they had T-Mobile as their carrier but am VERY DISAPPOINTED since TracFone took over. There was never a contract with them of any kind!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

On September 24th 2017 at approximately 1:36 p.m. I contact Family Mobile customer service because one of my phones have been so I contacted them to get the phone. I was asking the gentleman on the phone if after the phone will be terminated would I be able to lock the phone where they can't get into the phone and get any of my account information for my card because it's anything like that. The representative then became very rude telling me how they couldn't get back into the phone even if they switch the SIM card coz it wouldn't work and I was like, "Well I just put my SIM card in a different phone a couple weeks ago and it works just fine."

And then he got very rude with me and started shouting at me. He put me on hold for about 3 minutes and then his self gets back on the phone acting like he's somebody else and what I said to him, "You're not fooling anybody. Put me in touch with supervisor." This is the same person I just talked to. He told me I was stupid and hung up on me.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

First of all anyone who thinks about going with Walmart Family Mobile DON'T!!! Ever since they switch to TracFone they've become heartless and uncompassionate!!! My family and I are in the process of cleaning up the mess that hurricane Harvey had left behind and is unable to take care of our phone bill until this coming Saturday. I called customer service to see if I can get some sort of extension so that our phones would not be cut off and was told there was nothing they can do about it. I can't even pay a partial payment to keep at least one line on... I am sadden that a company like this which makes millions of dollars do not have the simple human compassion to understand what we are going through!

All of my other utility company gave us the extension we needed to concentrate on cleaning up our lives after the wake of a major natural disaster. I can understand if this was due to neglect on my end or simply can't afford our payments but this isn't the case. Every little bit of money we have is going towards rebuilding our house and vehicles that was destroyed during the storm! And all I asked was to have a few days (not weeks not months) to get the money together to pay for this bill but was denied by not one but two supervisors! This tells me that they do not care about their customers whatsoever!!!

I, along with thousands of Americans that are going through the cleanup process from Florida to here in Texas are spending every cent we have on rebuilding our lives and are only asking for some extra time to get our bills paid should not have to endure this kind of treatment from a multi-million dollar company! Especially from a company that we have been loyal with for more than 2 years... when Walmart Family Mobile was still Family Mobile their services were awesome. They helped when they can.

Since they switch over to TracFone all that went out the door! They no longer care if you need more time to pay whether it's due to hardship like what I'm going through or because you're in between jobs... whatever the case is they just don't care! I will be looking forward to the day that I can take my services elsewhere and I strongly recommend anyone who is thinking about getting service through this company DON'T!! You're better off going somewhere else! Save yourself the heartache and stress of dealing with such a heartless, uncompassionate, greedy company!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I have a ZTE ZMax Pro that I purchased through Walmart Family Mobile. Recently the headset earpiece stopped working, so I called customer service to see about getting it replaced because it was still under the manufacturer's warranty period. The first time I called I got a run around saying my phone was on the BYOP program... it isn't. I purchased my phone at Walmart through Walmart Family Mobile... I even had Walmart employees assist in getting it activated.

Long story short customer service told me to go back to Walmart and have them replace it or call customer service for me. I did that and after an hour of constantly getting put on hold I get told that somehow the system shows my phone got dropped so there was nothing they could do. I went home and called the ZTE customer service line and with their help I was able to confirm that it is indeed a Walmart Family Mobile phone. So I called them back again. Now I'm told that there is an error in their computer system and there is nothing they can do to help me. While this phone plan is cheaper than most it does me no good when the phone doesn't work. My advice to anyone looking at Walmart Family Mobile... don't do it. You would be better off paying a company like Verizon or AT&T, or even Straight Talk for their prepaid plans. All I've had is headaches with Walmart's service.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

If the phrases "Let the buyer beware" and "You get what you pay for" ever applied, they apply to the New Walmart Family Mobile! I have been on their plans for years and was always pleased. Since TracFone took over it has been one fiasco after another. In addition to a degradation of call and connection quality, their customer service has become a horror show. Customer service rarely seems to understand what the problem is and on that chance occasion when they do comprehend what you're telling them... they almost never know what to do about it. When you call them be prepared for the voice prompt maze, long wait times, representatives that seem to be speaking a different language, and frequently being hung up on. If cheap is what you want, this is as cheap as it gets. But don't kid yourself, you're going to get what you've paid for here.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

I purchased 2 monthly plans from Walmart internet with SIM cards. Long time T-Mobile customer and happy with T-Mobile service but not happy with cost. This Walmart plan promised same service as T-Mobile direct using T-Mobile as their carrier. The service didn't work; the first SIM card used constantly showed "Network Service Unavailable (this never happened in over 5 years with T-Mobile direct)" and text messages would come out garbled with no attachments, and the second SIM would not activate the second phone at all. After 4 days of this nonsense we went back and reopened the T-Mobile direct accounts.

That's when the nonsense started; Walmart said no refunds even though this product is sold as a WALMART labelled service, VISA said we had to reactivate and have a third party confirm problems, and My Family ran me through literally hours of phone calls constantly asking for another piece of info not readily available requiring a follow up call after locating. Finally they said corporate policy "NO Refunds" even though they have a Refund Department. My Family will not even provide access to email... All contact only by phone with an automated system that takes 10 minutes to get to a person... Now I know why they don't list an email address. It appears that their aim is to get your money on a service that doesn't work. Lost $60 trying to save some money; immense aggravation. BUYER BEWARE!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

I was deceived by a customer service rep and was told I would not have to wait for service due date to upgrade my service plan. After purchasing Truly Unlimited plan and noticed that it wasn't active I called and was told differently and that I WOULD have to wait till service due date to upgrade service plan. It was a waste of time and money...

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

They have the WORST service. I have been a loyal customer for 15 years. Always paid my services on time. Sometimes 2 months in advance. Since they are no longer powered by T-Mobile they have been a total nightmare. All I want is my and my daughter's NEW phones unlocked so we can go with a new service provider. They refused. Plus I paid both phones in August for the month of August and September. NEVER GOT CREDIT. They shut both phones OFF even though I showed where I paid both phones in August for both months both phones. They DON'T deserve even 1 star.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

I have been with WF-mobile for a number of years. Had good service in the store until someone re-booted the phone and lost all my French vacation pictures because he didn't remove the memory card. Since then, it has been all downhill. They didn't know how to install my e-mail after spending hours of my time. When the microphone failed on my phone, I bought a ZTE to replace it and it was nothing but trouble. Associate said the SIM card was the same size; it was not, so I had to enter all my contacts manually. They are not training their workers to use the technology they are selling. I closed my account and they only refunded 2/3 of what they owed me. I won't go back.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

I have a serious problem with the service. I didn't have any problems until I went to visit my parents 3 1/2 hours away but in the same state. I notice that when I reached outside my area code my phone had no service at all. Thinking that it was roaming because I went thru trees, and little towns. But when I get to my parents which is a big city. My phone still didn't work. I called technical support. And she told me since I wasn't in the area code where my billing address was. It wasn't going to work. She insisted that I changed my number to the zip code I was in and change it back when I go back home. That's crazy. The reason why I left ATT was because I work for Walmart and it give you a pretty good discount. But the discount isn't worth it if I left my city. It's a waste of money. I am going back to ATT.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2017

Have had Walmart Family Mobile for over 3 years, and just this month without my permission, my account was changed from pay monthly to auto pay and an amount almost 2 times usual monthly amount was debited to my account. It took 3 calls and over an hour to get someone to verify I would get a refund in 3-5 days. Should have never happened without my authorization, sure hope this is not something Walmart is trying to change when it comes to customers paying for their service.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2017

Received the phone, never worked correctly. Spent $100 on the phone and then another $50 for new battery and installation. This is unacceptable, factory refurbished indicates it will work out of the box. I will never order from them for any item again. Substandard equipment and lies on the website. Very disappointed.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

There is no 4G support, coverage is terrible, and when I try to pay online and click the "submit payment" button it brings up a text that says make sure all required fields are filled out. I have filled out every field on the page and it still gives me that text and won't submit my payment. I will not continue service with a company that can't even get their website right. I am moving to Verizon.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I have been with Walmart Family Mobile for 5+ years, and was very happy with their coverage and service until recently. I dropped them today in favor of T-Mobile one after they couldn't get my account corrected. I was being charged $40 per month extra for a line that had no number associated with it. When data plans became less favorable a few months ago, that was the beginning of it. Now my three most recent calls to customer service have left me dissatisfied. I would not use Walmart Family Mobile if I were you.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2017

My experience has been the same as most reviews on here. Service with Family Mobile was really good, a few problems every now and then. After 4 years the last 3 months have been the worst since the switch to TracFone. Slow service, dropped calls, freezing up. No notice that they were switching service and the first month of service billed on 20th and believe you me if you are late you are tough out of luck, they will turn you off. We are on fixed income and get check on 3rd of month. Family Mobile always worked with you to hold off till that day, not these people. They tell you to pay or it will be shut off that day and get it turned back on when you get paid. Customer Service is really hard to understand and they keep telling you the same thing if you have a problem, there is nothing wrong on their end.

But the kicker is when I called to ask about the slow service again and they said they had just talked to me the day before and I had made a payment and service would return to faster speed on the 20th. I had not paid or authorized anyone to take out of my bank account, it was not the 20th yet. They keep telling me that I had called and made a payment. They had taken money out of my account without my authorization. I assume that they had my card number on file where I pay each month. Never authorized them to do so. The amount they took out was $38.00 and my bill was for $84.00.

They said I had a credit from Family Mobile and they took that off. They said my service was good till Sept. 20th. I asked, "Are you sure?" Told them to cancel my card and not to take out again. Ok so I thought all was well and then receive an email today that my bill is due on 20th. Call them back and after 10 minutes waiting and lots of talking with someone in background they say my service is good till Sept. 20th again. I guess only time will tell. My daughter has already moved her service to another provider and I guess we will be next. This is too much trouble each month and the service is not that good anymore.

Walmart Family Mobile Company Information