1.37/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

673 Walmart Family Mobile Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

Walmart Family Plan stole my money. We disconnected our phones but we denied a refund for the money we had already paid. After a long call with multiple customer service representatives who barely spoke English we were told that we couldn’t get our money back or reconnect the lines to expire up to what we paid for. They are thieves.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

If I could give a negative number of stars I would. Do not purchase this service. You will be utterly disappointed and left all alone. I purchased an LG Rebel. The only thing I like about the phone is that it has a lot of memory for applications. However when you set the screen timeout to 1 minute to 30 minutes never fail it always times out at 12 seconds.

During the summer I was outside mowing my large yard. I have a lot of health issues and I passed out. I was so sick and I could barely move. I went to my phone on Walmart Family Mobile and the screen was frozen. It would not let me use the emergency screen nor my 4 digit pass code. With no way to call 911 nor my wife who was inside the house or any neighbors being outdoors I laid in the grass in and out of consciousness for almost an hour. Thanks to the Lord Jesus I did not die but thanks to Walmart I had no way to call an ambulance or 911. Someone finally found me after an hour.

Called Walmart Family Mobile. You will always be switched to another country like India of totally uncaring people who also can't understand you nor think quickly. They are unwilling to help make their service better nor give refunds nor incentives to make your customer service experience better. When I buy a higher limit refill card and I don't use all the data I lose it. When I don't purchase enough data you purchase each additional gigabyte at $10 per gig. Walmart Family Mobile sends you text reminders to purchase additional gigabytes but when I do as not part of the original refill purchase card my additional gigabytes always run at 2g instead of 4g speeds. So basically you just give them more money and get nothing in return. I have been out of hundreds of dollars of money that I have not had full use for money's worth from this sorry excuse for cell service.

Here is the real kicker! When you contact these Indians they will tell you to call Walmart's main office. When you call the corporate office or take your phone to the store for return Walmart in America will tell you "That's Walmart Family Mobile and you will need to talk to them." It has your brand name on it then. Why can't you stand behind your products? What they do is down right criminal. 2 reasons why Walmart does this. One is they pay their foreign call centers very low wages. Way less than America. 2 is because those foreign call centers will not be subject to the same laws. Bottomline. If I would have died that day due to me not having a phone that could work properly and contact emergency assistance, I would have hoped my family sued Walmart for millions!

Get expert buying tips about Cell Phones delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

If I could put zero stars I would. I went to add a new phone to a current line, and the customer service agent messed it up by adding a new line to my new phone. Now I have to wait 24 to 48 hours for an IT agent. They suck. Walmart is so ** cheap. They would hire cheap scam artists overseas to handle their customer support instead of letting me talk to someone that speaks and understands English. ** them... And if what I said is against your TOS then you can speak to me personally.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I have a very great deal on home phone service ($18/month) with which I am very happy. Due to a disability and other issues, I don't have a great need for a cell phone. I don't have much of a life and don't get out much. I chose Family Mobile for primarily use when I travel once every couple of months for doctors’ appointments in a town 100 miles away, usually for 3 to 4 days. I bought the cheapest phone they offer and use the $24.88 plan. I don't use voice very often, but have never had trouble with signal or quality of call. Being old school, I use a laptop instead of the phone for data needs.

The hotspot feature works most of the time, but is aggravating once it slows to 2G. I'm not sure if it's Family Mobile or just the nature of the beast of being at 2G. In roughly two years, I've call customer support once. The phone would not accept a new service card. The rep answered quickly and he found the SIMS card needed to be replaced with an updated one. I was sent one for free and received it quickly. I don't text. The Family Mobile works well for my needs.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

SIM card and 39 plan great with 14 GB... but added 10 International calling and that's been a fiasco. No like... 6 days of trying help lines, chats, emails, phone calls with absolutely no results... Transferred up the line like 10 times in 1 call. No help whatsoever!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Walmart Family Mobile?

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

My texting messages are not supposed to be from Google. I fell for them and provided personal info. OMG. The hackers trick you and if you are not aware send your info. Stay with a reputable telephone provider. Pay big bucks but save your personal data from crooks. I reported to credit bureau and federal government on fraud alert. This company through T-Mobile is not secure enough to prevent this problem. Buyer be aware.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

Had trouble activating a new SIM card through the internet for a family member, so decided to call customer support to have them activate it. All the ignorant lady would do is tell me my phone would not work on their network because it was a Verizon phone, so she would not activate the SIM. I tried to explain many times the phone was a late model unlocked phone and would work on any network. She just refused to listen. Finally went back to the internet and was able to get the SIM card activated that way. They can charge cheaper rates because they use some cheapo call center with folks reading some page in a manual. You'll have to decide if it's worth it. Me, I'll stick with paying a little more for Verizon. So far I have been very satisfied with their customer support. If one person can't help me, they will find someone who can.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

Bought a replacement phone for my Walmart Family Mobile service and it was defective and couldn't get open the drawer that contained my SD chip. I called tech support (HAHAHA) to see if they could activate the phone and they told me to take it back to the store. It was the LG Premier. So I went back to the store and the had to get someone to pry it open to get my card back and gave me another phone. Took it home, tried to set it up, no dice this one was defective and the SD card was stuck in this. Called tech support again and told them this is the second phone and they said that I should take this back because he did all the step to activate the phone on my account.

So I let Thanksgiving day and Black Friday pass so I don't get caught up in the mess that happens and return to Walmart with the phone and told them again what happened and the issues I was having. I was told from an employee that Walmart Family Mobile is a separate company from Walmart and that they have their own corporate offices and hierarchy. I was given the LG Rebel 3 instead as the phone I originally want was not in stock. Since it was cheaper, I was given a refund of the difference and went home. So I proceed to activate the phone online. I am pretty tech savvy (more so than anyone who I have talked to from this company) and again, issues with adding this phone to my account. I call tech support and ask for a manager (but was given someone who poses at one and later you will see this pattern become prevalent in my complaint) and they took 2 hrs trying to add this phone to my account.

After doing all the things they wanted me to do to have the phone activated on my account, I thought my phone was working in which I was able to get texts but not phone calls. Called backed again to get this right. The second person on 11/24/18 claimed to be a manager. Got, my number to work as I found out it was activated to another number. He took another 2 hrs to get what I thought was my account hooked up to this phone and my phone worked. I told him about my issues of running back and forth to the store for defective items and he said that I would have a credit on my account. Now here where's the fun comes in...

TODAY I try to make a call on my phone and it tells me that my service is off and that I need to pay over $50 to turn my service back on. I had to fake like I had issues inputting my card number to speak to someone. I got a representative who told me that my service was up and I need to pay. I told him that my service date isn't to the 24th and I would need to pay $6.25 on my account. I received a SYSTEM text giving me a heads up for continuing my service and it clearly stated that I would only pay $6.25 for the next month. I am thinking cool and that could be where the credits are. I tell him this and he proceed to look over notes to my account and tells me that my old account which I had the lifeline set up on (I am temporarily disabled) was closed and they ported over my old number.

This would explain why I had gotten offers to join the program for the Lifeline discount. SO I told him that this was suppose to be a phone swap and that the discount was to go to the next month in which I received a system text stating that I had to pay $6.25 for my next month of service. He stated that he didn't see any texts sent to me stating that and I had to pay, in which I asked for a supervisor. I have call center experience and I know who is who by the way they talk. So here we go.

So I am transferred to another person who calls himself the manager and he proceed with the stoic act. I tell him the situation and he put me on hold for 10 minutes as he is claiming to be looking at my account. Now if you hear typing in the background you know he is not looking at your account and is probably updating a previous call. I wait till he is "done reviewing " and he tell me my account was deleted when I swapped the second phone and that this is new account that has my old number and that I would have to pay over $50. Then after rejecting that offer and reiterate my background to let him know "don't play games with me, I know what you are doing" statement, he gets this attitude like asking me what I would like him to do. That's when I knew he wasn't a manager and asked to be transferred to a manager in which he claimed he did.

I was transferred to another gentleman who claimed to be the manager and more game ensued. He called himself a supervisor in which I questioned why have I been transferred to you from a MANAGER. Broke him down to so much that he literally states, "Let me talk to my supervisor about this account." I bust him and he claims to transfer me to a supervisor in which he said that he was going to get his extension in which I asked for the extension just in case we are disconnected. Of course he refused and was sent back into queue.

Finally reach a person who again claims to be a manager and that's when all hell broke loose. She puts me on what suppose to be a hold when actually she puts down the phone or headset and proceed to talk to another coworker in which they discussing someone else account which is a big no no on a liability level (which I am going to address with the corporate office via mail) all his details and issues I heard clearly. I bust her open and asked "If you are a manager and you were listening me, why did I hear you talk about another person name John account? That is a big no no and a manager would know not to do so on a recorded line..." She immediately put me on ACTUAL hold and then came back to my call and transfer me to another female who was an agent. She didn't claim to be a manager then when I said I need a floor manager, she said that she can transfer me to one.

Got to what I was presented as the floor manager. He proceed to tell me that he is checking on something and put me on hold. He goes and act like the stoic so called manager and HOUR ago and tells me that I don't have a discount, I am not in the Lifeline program, I don't have any credit and I would have to pay today over $50 rather than the plan I was suppose to be on and couldn't explain the system text. So I asked him about the program as one agent offered 10% discount on my bill to pay today and he promptly told me that he has to look at a training manual. That's when I busted him as well because a floor manager will be well versed in FEDERAL programs they are taking apart of, told him that my fiance in this field and it's not different from state to state. Hung up three people fraudulently presented themselves as people of authority and still nothing.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

After making my payment every month for $54.52, at the Walmart money center. Paid with cash, today after making payment, I'm sent a text saying “to keep my service on I have to pay another $ 2.49, which I’d have to go back to the Walmart money center to pay, plus payment fee. After calling customer service, and being put on hold and each time they play the game of pretending to check your bill and returning every few minutes to tell you to hold on, then they say they are switching you over to sales who may be the only one to help. Only to be hung up on after spending 30 minutes one call.

The next time it was 24 minutes. Each time they tried to get me to give them my credit card number, which I don’t have, but at the same time said I would not be charged. So why were they asking for a credit card. I told them I don’t pay with a credit card, I pay with cash, and that’s when they say they have to transfer me, then hang up. I’m switching companies, they need to do better with their customer service, or stop scamming people.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

SCAM ALERT!!! SCAM ALERT!!! So I purchased an "unlocked" phone from Walmart. 1st of all it the ad said nothing about it being a Verizon phone, 2nd it did not come unlocked (which was the whole purpose), and 3rd it didn't even come from Walmart (which it stated). But Walmart is getting the wrath because they are allowing their own customers to ripped off and because it was Walmart's site that I bought it off of.

NOWHERE on the website did it state it was a Verizon prepaid phone. Then it did not come unlocked. It only came with a sticker that said how to unlock it. If I wanted to unlock it myself, then I would have. But if I did that would compromise the warranty on the device. Then I went to turn it on and the screen started flashing. So I packaged it up and sent it back. They gave me $53.00 out of $89.00!!! IT'S A SCAM!!! So somebody made approximately $40 off of me for a defective product. Then they said someone would contact me within 24 hours and nobody has. IT A SCAM. DON'T BE TAKEN IN BY THIS SCAM!!!

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I paid my bill on November 25th and it’s not December 8th and my service is shut off!! Every month I go through some problem with payments every month!!! I wouldn’t recommend Family Mobile to my worst enemy. They are the worst and I mean WORST to deal with!! Do not get service through them!!! I will be filing a lawsuit and taking them to court for robbing me numerous times! They are a joke, a scam, rude, won't refund you, rob you, steal and lie. They should not be in business. What they are doing is not only rude and messed up, it’s illegal!!!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I've had a horrible experience. I do not usually do online shopping but decided to give Walmart a shot. But the worst of my problems began with using my app. I have been double charged on my ideas and I now found out that the mug I ordered and paid for is nowhere to be found. It was for pick up today but Walmart just transferred me back and forth to tell me they can't help me, only online can. I want my money back and my mug.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

Our family selected this carrier for economic reasons, but that was a mistake. We experienced service issues from delayed texts to MMS problems and phone calls that would come in with no ring. These were not phone issue but carrier issues - since switching to a different carrier on the same network we have not experienced the same issues. Our biggest complaint - Customer service is abysmal. Majority of call center employees were rude and never fixed our problems. They also love to place customers on hold - our last call was placed on hold for 3 hours and no one ever picked up. All in all - cheap plan and clearly - we got what we paid for - not much...

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

Today I went onto the Walmart Family Mobile site to make a payment for services. When I got to the account information screen I found another person's credit card and address populating on the screen. I was transferred 3 times speaking to Amel, two different Maria's then put on to a recording to file a claim. While the recording was looping I called again and asked to speak to a manager. I let him listen to the recording that Maria placed me on and advised him of the issue at hand. After 40 minutes of Kahn checking on his end he could see the information that was populating on their site but had no comment on who made those changes or how they were changed. This is my last conversation with Walmart Family as they sub out the tech service and billing overseas to low information people. If you are looking for an inexpensive service please research and don't make the mistake I made. Stay away from Walmart Family Mobile.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

We have had problems for the last 2 months. My account somehow got technical difficulties on their end. I couldn't pay for all my phone lines at the same time. I was told when I called customer service that I would have to pay for all 3 lines and one line would be a month ahead of the other 2. If I wanted to just pay the 2, I had to drop the already paid phone off the account. Lose my multi-line discount. Pay. Call them back to ready the other line. Now my cost is based on the screwed up prices. Customer service really doesn't "hear" you when you tell them what the problem is. No credits or refunds. Just fed up. Looking for a new phone company.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

Their billing screwed up and getting it straightened out is a major hassle. They don't speak English well, and give you the run around to different "departments." You get what you pay for and their customer service is horrible. FAIL!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I changed my wife's plan to have more data. They charged me twice that month once for $72.34 and for $83.51. Every time I call them they tell me they will refund the $83.51 but I never get it. I finally got fed up with them. I'm stopping my draft and finding another carrier.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I accidentally purchased and the extras pack instead of the one gigabyte of data that I wanted. At the time, they were both $9.99. I did it online and made a mistake. I called customer service several times. I was given some email address and emailed them about my problem. I either wanted a refund or just the one gigabyte of extra data. I could not get any help and was finally told point blank, "too bad. We're not going to do anything about it."

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

My phone quit working for no reason at all. First they said I was behind on payment, so my son made another payment and the phone still would not work. Then they told me my sim card did not match the phone, even though it was the sim card in the phone when I bought it. They sent me a new sim card, it still did not work. They said they would send out a replacement phone, yep they did, but for a different provider, Simple Mobile. They cannot transfer it to Family Mobile.

Now they are sending a new sim card that I have to wait another 3-5 business days to get, or I could pay for faster shipping. Yes that is right I can pay for their mistake. I have over 25 hours of phone time in with this company, I have talked to so many different reps, constantly being transferred and they all have different answers. This has been going on for over a month now. If I was not paid up until November I would switch companies. They have to be the worst I have dealt with. I would never recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

If you want a phone that steals your privacy via system that uses YOUR data allotment to do so, look no further. Have what fun you can configuring it into a useless feedback machine before burying it in Sam **.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I was convinced by the in store rep this was the best service and cheapest. After he convinced me my phone only needed one of their sim card kits for each phone in my family and the 100 dollar service card I was ready. This was so far from the truth and after finding out it wouldn't work I returned all of the stuff unopened in less than an hour later. But they refused to refund my 100 for the card even though it hadn't been used and the PIN was not even scratched off. The salesman never pointed out the small print on the back that said no refunds. So I lost 100 on this huge mistake. Never trust Wal-Mart or their week sales people, they rarely know what they're talking about! This is why so many hate Wal-Mart, their customer service sucks and is extremely lacking.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

I started out with this company in 2013. Once they switched over to TracFone I've been having billing issues and the customer service sucks. I truly can say I hate them and the lies and deceit from the reps aren't worth the price. No one could tell me how a bill that was printed and due on the 24th changed from $68 to $100 on the 22nd within me logging into my account two hours apart from one another. I spoke with many reps and told one manager I know for a fact that you can't change a bill that's already printed and two days from being due from one price to another. Even said look thru my billing history and pull my account and you will see all my details.

The manager claimed to not see anything and deleted my whole account and told me I'd have to pay $100 by the 24th to keep service. Logged into my account. My payment history and all has been deleted. They will get no more money from me. They have turned into crooks. They're hiring illiterate people to add bogus charges, destroy your accounts, provide poor customer service, and just plain out lie. I mean no one has the same answer as if they're unable to see the same screens. I wish this company goes bankrupt in the USA.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I would never refer anyone to this company, given the problems I experienced with customer service. The customer service staff with this company are inexperienced, to say the least. After spending over 40 dollars to switch plans, which I was told my phone was compatible and buying an activation kit and a phone plan, I was told my phone was not compatible to switch to their mobile network. Not to mention, spending an hour on the phone with customer service representatives and being transferred to four or five individuals during the call. Long story short, my money and time will not be compensated. I would never refer anyone to this company.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

No issues with the phone or internet service through the phone. My kids have mentioned they sometimes don't get my text messages until a day later though. My biggest complaint, and one I did not research enough or know about ahead of time, is that there is no mobile hotspot available through my phone. This is a big one for me that I took for granted was included with my phone purchase. I do not remember seeing anything that would have told me differently. If I had known, I never would have signed up. Still better than Boost Mobile with whom I was with beforehand.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Just wish I could put up the screen shot of the conversation with the Philippines. Wow not even in the USA. That's our problem. We need to come together and get those companies out of here. I said I recorded the chat that I had because the guy was being a ** and once I said I recorded this chat he said he doesn't consent to it. BS. I can do what I want ** and did just to prove to everyone that Family Mobile is a scam. Take your money and give you ** service and no help or your money back. Let's get them **. Let's make a case against them.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I bought an iPhone SE through Walmart Family Mobile, changed jobs in the same service area, and my phone no longer worked inside the buildings where I now worked. I thought that I bought my phone. I paid for it in full at the advertised price, under the offer of "no contract", but this was a lie. The terms and conditions NEVER told me that the phone was "locked", NEVER explained what "unlocking" means, and NEVER even mentions what this obscurely-defined "unlocking" means until the very end of the "terms and conditions" of use.

They say, "no contract". They sell you a phone at a discount. They lure you into a service agreement that obscures the fact that there really IS a contract, and the contract is that your phone is NOT really your property for a year, where it remains locked ONLY to the Tracfone network, EVEN IF THE PHONE IS NOW USELESS inside buildings where I work.

I cannot call 911. I cannot communicate with people I need to check on for safety. I cannot communicate with customers on the job using my phone. I have a useless phone for eight hours a day, feel at risk, and this is with a phone that I thought was my property to use with any carrier I might choose. How is this legal in the United States?

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

For some unknown reason me and my son have a different brand of phones, a Samsung and a Blu, we are both on the same family plan and we both experience text missing from other phones. For example if I text my son 12 messages he only gets 8, if my work texts me 20 messages a day I only get about 15. I try help from customer service with no results, they suppose to be experts and they don't know why. I think I need to change carriers. Walmart Family plans by T-Mobile was good years ago. Now they suck.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

Family Mobile will take your money and run. You buy a brand new Family Mobile device and refuse to unlock it. They say it is a "NO CONTRACT PLAN" when in fact there is a contract... but not in writing. Oh no. You won't know that there's a contract until you go to get the device unlocked. Then suddenly BAM there's a contract on the device. Watch out! They will screw you in a heartbeat! Do NOT believe that they don't have contracts!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I just got off the phone with these ** and I'm soo pissed off. They don't even speak English... Do not get a phone with them. They'll just rip you off on data and your bill. ** them. I told them to disconnect my phone. I'm going somewhere else.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

All cellphone billing and technical problems are sent to the Philippines. I just spent 2 hours trying to manage a problem with uneducated individuals in this country. There are no contact numbers in the USA that can actually manage the technical problem. I was given false information regarding the compatibility of a new phone, that is now incompatible. I am being told now the phone number is not active, yet I have paid for it. If Walmart wants to have a mobile plan, they need to maintain the proper technical support personnel to handle the problems, not get the cheapest way possible to deal with mobile issues.

I spoke with Sammuel, Merriam (Supv) & Imee (Manager). I was given USA telephone number's as 1 877 440-9758 & 1 866 806-1840. All are answered randomly by Philippine outsourced Walmart personnel. The 866 806-1840 number requires a reference number to be entered, which the Philippine outsource personnel deny being needed. No one knows what they are doing!!!

Walmart Family Mobile Company Information