3.9/5 (324 ratings)

About Walmart Family Mobile

Walmart Family Mobile Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Walmart Family Mobile?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Walmart Family Mobile?

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

DON'T even think about getting a My Family Mobile Mobile Plan. You'll regret it. They have the worst customer service in the world. The reason their customer service representatives are on the other side of the planet is because people like myself would go to them in person and they wouldn't be able to brutalize you the way they do over the phone. I've spent hundreds of hours and lost lots of money dealing with the ignorant uneducated barely English speaking men and woman who lie for a living. If you have a problem with your My Family Mobile Phone or your service just throw it away and go somewhere else. It will be a lot easier than calling the customer service because they have none. I repeat DON'T do it!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2019

After 10 months of very spotty service and the companies claim that I ran through 4GB of data in 18 days or less each month, I'd had it with Family Mobile and went to cancel my service. They had the audacity to charge my credit card when I called to cancel- 3 days earlier than it should have been. I was on Autopay and as I called to cancel I reneged their ability to charge my card....or so I thought. They charged it and then canceled my service. I made over a dozen calls to their call center, which is located in the Philippines....they played the "I'll forward your call on to a supervisor" "We can resolve that for you....I just need to get my supervisor to approve"....routine or just 'hung up' on me each time, never making the issue resolved.

I've reported them to the FTC and I'm thankful it was only 31 dollars and not more. This company is a huge rip off. I switched to T-mobile and verified my data claims (that Family mobile's tracking of your data is way off...almost double what you actually use). Family Mobile also refused to release my iPhone. Thankfully T-Mobile had a 'prepay for service get a free phone ' deal so I come out 'ahead'...just have to pay three months in advance for two phones. Again, bottom line....DO NOT GET SERVICE WITH FAMILY MOBILE. Having their Customer Service call center in the Philippines should be enough to keep you from going to them. The FTC/FCC should shut this company down before they rip off more people. Walmart! Why are you associated with this scam company?

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

Honestly they are cheap but the tech support and/or customer service is awful. They generally have no idea how to help at all. The signal is also pretty bad. So all in all you are paying cheap for a sub-par service.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

Was great until my service broke. Broke, as in I had dumped the cash for the service but was not receiving it. No outgoing calls, nor data. Contacting tech support or any other branch of Family Mobile resulted in one thing; Restarting my phone. They would lead me for up to half an hour with questions and requests until claiming to have fixed the problem and telling me to restart my phone. They had fixed nothing. Some stupid gimmick on the chance that the problem might be resolved be a restart. Beyond that I was told to change my APN settings. Which I did. No result.

The issue had to be either on their end or with my SIM card. I could text and call Family Mobile, but nowhere else; which is to say the problem wasn't on my end. No solution. I tried to switch carriers. Phone was locked. Arbitrarily- too, since the phone wasn't on a plan to start, but rather was simply from TracFone. What do I get to see when I try to unlock my phone? I can't. Why? They deleted my account. At some point along the way, my number was deleted from the providers, well within renewal times. I have no idea how this happened, however it was not of my action. Don't. Do. Family Mobile.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

I am so pissed off right now. First I'd like to say about 4 days ago I should have got the lady's name promise me a replacement phone which I need very bad. Made promise to send me a replacement phone before I send back this old phone because I have a 5 year old in school and this is my only device. This ** lied to me. This company also put me through a lot of changes stressing me out. Yesterday was the 22nd Sunday. I have purchase card. I paid $42 for to give me 14 GB to representative I spoken with yesterday supposed to add on my prepaid service.

This morning 3:59 a.m. a new damn morning I found out not one of them representatives done their job right because my phone was inactive. How the hell that is impossible. The company needs to shut down. This is the worst company I ever dealt with. They lied to me about sending me a replacement phone knowing the problem I have with this phone. I call this company over 100 times. Even the management's are bad. A lack of help. Unprofessional. Simple Mobile is better than this Boost Mobile. Top number 10 this company number one. This company worth **.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2019

I called in to inquire about a mysterious and bogus charge Family Mobile put on my card. I had to ask to be transferred to a different rep at least five times because most of them are unable to speak English clearly and they talk way too fast. The fourth rep began to deliberately stall and waste my time, saying "one moment" at least 20 times during the call, each of these "moments" taking forever. The last rep - purportedly a senior manager - just disconnected me at the end of my explaining the issue. Walmart Family Mobile obviously doesn't care about customer service because they leave no recourse when bad service is received. Needless to say, I've moved on to a different mobile provider. Good riddance to Walmart Family Mobile!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

My husband and I have cell phones with Family Mobile. My phone is a Moto e4 and my husband's is a TracFone purchased specifically for family mobile. Last night they worked fine. My last text message was 8:00 pm. Today I have no service unless I go outside. Up until now everything was fine. I called for help and spent about an hour the first call and got disconnected, called back and spent about another hour to tell me that everything is fine on their end and there is nothing they can do to help me as it is not a network problem. So I am so frustrated because how can something work in my house and less than 24 hrs I have to go outside for it to work? Cheaper is not always better. Now my phones are paid thru 10/15 and Walmart will not refund my money because there is no problem! Will never do this again.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2019

I’ve had my cell number for over 4 years and yet I’ve discovered that a previous owner's caller ID shows up when I make calls. That means I constantly receive bill collection calls for him and no matter how many times I explain I’m not him... they still harass me! Also I use my phone for business calls as well but my name doesn’t appear so my clients have no idea who’s calling and won’t answer. I’ve called customer service at Walmart’s Family Mobile service but they claim it’s a recycled number and cannot do anything about it even though I pay for my own name on my caller ID! It’s not fair because I need and pay for my name to show up when making calls.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2019

Worst customer service experience ever. I spent over two hours, talking to 6 different people none of whom could diagnose or fix my problem. Do not purchase anything from Walmart Family Mobile. It's a scam.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2019

Walmart Family Mobile has the worst customer service I have ever had on a cellphone or just shopping experience period. I am a Walmart employee I have had 2 phones with both unlimited everything for 2 years. Recently went online to pay my bill like always 4 days before the due date. My phone service and phone number was magically deleted off my account. They have done nothing to fix the problem or compensate me for the issue. I live in Colorado and my daughter has the other phone living in Texas. Now we have no service and no communication. Family Mobile is trash!!!!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2019

>>>You have the legal right to opt out of the provision covering dispute resolution by binding arbitration within 30 days of the activation of your service. If you don't opt out within 30 days, your inaction shall be deemed to be consent to this provision covering dispute resolution. You may opt out by calling 1.877.440.0758 (but NO ONE will know what you're talking about and they will say they are unable to do that) or writing to TracFone Wireless Inc., Attn: Legal Department-Consumer Claims, 9700 NW 112 Avenue Miami, FL 33178<<<

I have spent 15 hours on the phone with customer service over the course of 3 days. I have spoken with numerous representatives, supervisors, managers, and even the corporate department. I have been provided false, misleading, and conflicting responses to my inquiries. I have been hung up on, and left on hold with a ringing phone for an hour and a half, then had someone pick up and promptly hang up. Finally they admitted there is no coverage in my area. They said they rebranded my phone and I would receive an AT&T sim card. They didn't tell me they terminated my current service and I would lose all my money spent. Call back again, talk again to every person up to corporate which isn't really the corporate office at all and nothing can be done.

Read your terms and conditions, #18 is how to file a dispute. You have to notify them in writing first. Document all of your calls, even though they also document everything, the versions will not match. I have spent 15 hours of my life with a dishonest customer service department located in the Philippines, and I still have a phone that does not work. Their claim is 99% coverage, but if you read the fine print, it says you may have to go outside to get it. Shame on Walmart for false advertisement and any other legitimate service provider that pairs with TracFone.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

Purchased a Motorola E5 phone 12-2018 from Walmart. Added it to my family mobile plan, in July I lost data but everything else worked, called and spent a week troubleshooting, sent new sim card etc. They finally admitted they had switched networks and the phone was no longer compatible. I asked for a replacement or a refund and was told no they could not do that. This company should not be able to sell something they can't provide a service for or drop 8 months later with no notification. Anyone interested in a class action suit?

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

This company has the worst customer service ever. My wife and I purchase two starter packs. Had service for 2 weeks then our phone stopped working. Since then we have dealt with nothing but poor customer service from every rep we've dealt with. Gone through the rebooting process 20 times. Have waited for Cars 3 to 5 days 4 times and still no resolution to the problem. I am so fed up with this company. I wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy. I can't find enough bad things to say about this company. This is the worst service I've ever had in my entire life. If there was a -10 star rating I would give it to them.

Original review: July 23, 2019

My phone was lost and I called customer service to make an insurance claim and was told I had to pay a $125 deductible before I'd be able to get a replacement. The phone itself I purchased on Walmart.com and it was only $49.00. Why would the deductible be more than the cost of the phone. That's a bait and switch scam if I've ever seen one. So my advice is to NEVER buy insurance for a cell phone. You'll pay double what the device is worth when going through Walmart Family Mobile. SCAM SCAM SCAM!

Original review: July 18, 2019

People I sincerely hope you take heed to my review. I've been with Walmart Family Mobile for close to 2 years. I've been through every bit of 8 phones mainly my fault. I am a plumber so I can be rough on my phones. Needless to say I've contributed a decent amount of money to this company. Three month ago I asked a friend to pay my bill and I'd give him the cash so he agreed. I called Walmart Mobile, payed the bill. Was offered auto pay, I respectfully declined, informing him this wasn't my card to do it with. Said our goodbyes and good day and hung up.

So the next month comes my cell phone bill wasn't due till the 10. On the eleventh I called to find out when my bill was due because I knew it was close or should be off. As soon as I called the customer service number text start rolling in saying payment successful on the seventh with first of I knew I didn't make a payment and found out later my bill wasn't due till the tenth, so I start thinking huh who paid my bill and why did they restart my plan three days before the bill's due.

So I reach customer service, she states they always take the money out early so I asked, "Well where'd you get the money from to pay it?" She replies, "O card number blah blah blah. We have you set up for auto repay." I instantly informed them I told them, "No that's not my account. He could call the police and I get in trouble. I need a refund." They then stated, "You used the service, we cannot refund his money after less than 24 hours." She tells me no since the seventh so not only are they stealing money but I'm not getting 30 days as advertised. Long story short I was tired of screaming, going in circle and gave up. They refused my refund.

I couldn't win, felt as though they were trying to outwit me or tire me out. And they did take me off auto repay, was told probably ten times before I hung up....(36 days later huh when's my bill due? My asked my friend same one when did I pay you for them taking that money definitely over thirty days. I reply "Omg I know they ain't do that **." Again he replies, "Well I did have some random overdraft on my account for thirty-five." I call them up furious. I was not letting up this time.

Idc what I gotta do, someone is answering for this. I still was on auto repay. I told her, "You need to listen to phone conversation and clearly and repetitively stated take me off auto pay." She continues to tell me it would be documented if I canceled. I state that "What your employees put in your computer you need to listen to all three conversation." She continued to evade and said, "It not necessary, we have it documented," and straight refused to get to the bottom of this. If anyone has advice please let me know. Only people I can contact is them and they are literally stealing and telling me I have them consent.

Original review: July 15, 2019

I had service with them for 6yrs. Rates are cheap but you get what you pay for. I replaced a phone 1.5yrs ago, called to activate and switched sim card over. A few problems with that, but they told me the new phone was switched and my service was fine. However, last week I called to unlock my phone and they told me I didn't have service with them on that phone. Yet, I paid every month and never had interrupted service.

They said the phone I had was never registered with them and hadn't had service with them. They sold it to me, shipped it to me and activated it the day I received it. They deactivated my service since I wasn't using their phone. I told them I had the receipt from them. The last customer service person in tech support said "Just get new service from some where else", in very broken English. Needless to say I had service by the end of the day with another carrier. I would not recommend this company to handle anything more than a phone you don't depend on!

Original review: July 6, 2019

The WORST service I have ever experienced. I can’t make calls. 99% of the time I have no service. When I do get in touch with someone they tell me there is no problem with my service. PAAALLLEEEEAAAASE!! And to top it all off, I have to keep paying for this.

Original review: June 25, 2019

The customer service is awful. I spoke with Shane, and she was rude & unhelpful. I couldn't even understand her at all. She kept repeating herself, but was not accurate on her knowledge of the product (cell phone service).

Original review: June 22, 2019

These boogers charged me twice, said it was my fault and refused to refund me, but that's fine, they gone miss me when I'm gone which is as of right now. I advise all others to take your business elsewhere.

Original review: June 18, 2019

If there were a negative 10 stars option that's what this company deserves! The way their customer service is structured and outsourced to the Philippines makes getting any problems resolved a TOTAL AND COMPLETE WASTE OF CUSTOMERS TIME AND $$$. :( If you are considering acquiring cell phone service with this company - DON'T!! JUST STAY AWAY and go with a reliable carrier who actually have representatives who actually help resolve billing, service, and data issues - who won't lie to you, hang up on you, or basically just leave you out to dry. THE WORST PHONE CARRIER...EVER.

I have 2 lines for 2 phones, mine and my son's. I initially signed up for my line to be the primary and my son's the secondary. It was all set up under one account. The first billing text I receive with the renewal date, was $39.88 for my phone only. I was supposed to be receiving unlimited data but have only received 5G! My son's additional line was being bill texted to his phone separately and he was only receiving 3G of data at $24.88 a month! I called customer service numerous times about the lines not being tied together under one account as well as the data mixups, and every time the person could barely speak English and would not get anything fixed. I've spent hours on the phone with them repeatedly over screwing up renewal dates and shutting off the phones early.

If you pay on the 11th of the month they tell you it's due on the 7th the following month? Pay on the 1st and they tell you it's due on the 26th? They leave you without service you've paid for for days on end, all while I've been lied to, dropped, transferred, ignored, they have no notes though they constantly claim to. I have been calling Walmart stores and corporate over the atrocious service/product they offer and have yet to have ANYONE give a rat's **! Please Walmart and TracFone…

Put this service out of its misery! It doesn't matter if it's powered by T-Mobile or TracFone or whoever....it's dead in the water people. I am canceling my service this week and going with another carrier! If I have to call corporate EVERY day until they wake up and do something about this - I will. Shame on you Walmart. God help anyone who is dumb enough to torture themselves with Family Mobile...

Original review: June 8, 2019

My service with Family Mobile ends 06/23/2019 and there hasn't been to two running where my phone didn't say NO SERVICE and no matter how many times I call I can not talk to anyone who understands that I would like to have service on the phone service I have paid for; now if I get someone that understands what I am saying we tend to lose signal or something. I have a phone that is no good to me and have paid a company who allows their employee to treat the consumer with disrespect and just plain racist remarks such as call you still have to come to us to get to them, they say this because it is true and I still have no service most of the times. Who is there to help me.

Original review: June 7, 2019

As I was standing in line to buy 2 StraightTalk Unlimited Text, Call & Data, I saw a woman asking an electronics employee (the ones standing around in uniform with yellow vests on), this same girl previously rang 6 people out. After watched this woman purchaser ask the "employee" about the phone, my boyfriend told her it's a really good phone. The "employee" continued to BLUNTLY ignore the women as she went to the cashier to check out. The customer (along with myself) were also BLUNTLY ignored for about 10 mins while this woman "employee" (and other said electronic employees simply stood around chatting about a video game they play). 15 mins pass and I'm still standing behind this woman customer.

Mind you, there are 3 other people behind us, ALSO waiting in line. Now, this woman "employee" proceeded to be rude and tell the woman's father, who wanted to buy the phone (after being stared at while asking questions, the woman's elderly father took her phone and went to the register) while he was being rang out by someone in the same uniform, that, "I don't work for Walmart. I work for Verizon." As if that sorry excuse works for why she (and the other 4 "employees" just stood there chatting about what they did in their video game) ALL bluntly stood behind the counter, chatting and randomly looking to see how long the line had gotten.

This was at Walmart located in Upstate NY. Plattsburgh NY, to be exact. I have never had an issue like this before and will NOT be shopping at Walmart even for my groceries anymore. If these employees don't like their job, why is Walmart advertising such "wonderful, happy & joyful employees & careers??" That's what the hell I want to know. To top that off, as my boyfriend stood at the register saying, "excuse me, I need some assistance please." This same woman "employee" proceeded to be rude and ignore my boyfriend, then walking with 2 of the other electronics employees, to the back behind the double doors talking about how many things they'd acquired in their game! Walmart "employees" are, from my knowledge, are supposed to help customers with products, answer any questions and even ask if someone needs help finding something.

Now, had I just walked out of electronics with the phone cards to pay for them up front... I BET ALL of those so-called "employees" would have dropped everything and chased after me telling me I have to pay there. As I will now refuse to purchase ANYTHING including groceries, from Walmart because of this mishap.. My local mall has Target, Best Buy & Dollar stores all in 1! So looks like my family will not be returning to Walmart.

To anyone going to Walmart to purchase anything electronic, when going to purchase, don't go to the electronics register. They receive commission for each electronic sold. That's the reason behind trying to make you cash out THERE and not up front or when you're done shopping. To avoid more RUDENESS and ignorance, just take your products to the front if it's not locked in a case or behind glass. Just take the product with you and continue shopping. Rude, ignorant and slobbish Walmart Electronic "employees" won't be getting any commission from me. Ha, not again.

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." I'll be damned if I'm treated like an idiot or anyone of less superiority to ANYONE in a damn Walmart uniform. And I'll not stand by while they make others feel as disgusted as I felt by actions so ignorant as that woman Walmart employee! Sorry, but I won't BE sorry for my little rant. It's ridiculous. Wish I knew they were paying employees to play games on their laptop in the back while they should be working. Quite irresponsible. She showed the whole line of customers, just what type of person she REALLY is!!

Original review: June 4, 2019

My payment ended up in some other account. Was told that I had either let someone use my card or I had two phones. Was told to do a reverse charge, but I needed their affirmation, which I am still waiting for after a month. Had people hang up on me because I didn't want a gift card (with a service charge if I only gave them my card #). I have written letters requesting a refund, and am still waiting. I am more than a little pissed.

Original review: May 22, 2019

My wife made the mistake of ordering something online. Soon after we realized we did not want it Walmart made it very difficult to cancel the order. In fact despite the fact that we clearly cancelled the order over the phone several days before delivery Walmart said we could not cancel. I told them we would not be taking delivery and would be disputing the charges with my credit card company and they told me that I would have to refuse delivery. I fail to understand why they would waste the time of a delivery person. It was so frustrating dealing with customer service. They simply did not care about me, my family or their own delivery people. In my entire life I don’t believe I ever encountered this. I am absolutely shocked that this is Walmart's customer service. I dont think I will ever shop at Walmart again. This would never happen at Amazon!

Original review: May 16, 2019

I just had it with the Walmart family mobile system. I've went to change phones as a walmart family prepaid phone for an upgrade for work. Switched the sim card over. Worked just fine and all after going through 30 minutes of customer service, a couple weeks later it deactivates in the middle work causing a lot of problems along the way and the plan of was not even about 14 days from being expired. They complain that I switched phones and they need receipt for it to reactivate my phone IMEI. I go to walmart to buy a new phone and to get a receipt to see if that works. I tell them that I have receipt and all. So I can go to work well that did not work either because to activate my new phone with my old Sim card they tried to tell me that I need to buy a new plan for that sim card. So if you like to be scammed and lied to walmart family mobile would be just perfect for you. Completely unreliable.

Original review: April 30, 2019

Walmart discriminates against mothers. I stopped in the Rosewood NC store to get my groceries, and although I’m fifty-three and was buying over $170 worth of groceries, they would not sell me a couple of bottles of wine because my teenage daughter was with me. The salesperson’s decision was held up by her manager when I asked for him to be called. By their reasoning, I should not be allowed to order a glass of wine at a restaurant when my daughter is with me. Does Walmart really think only childless people drink wine?

Original review: April 28, 2019

Minus 5 Stars: After having my phone number for decades and having everything I own attached to it, Family Mobile decided to expire my phone number without telling me about this. In doing so, they switched someone else's phone number to my phone. After hours on the phone w/ their "customer service" they've explained that I haven't had my phone number since 10/2017 when I purchased the new phone. They have erased my phone messages plus taken my phone messages off my boyfriend's phone. Now I've tried to take the phone to Verizon to start a new service, but Family Mobile has to unlock my phone, that I paid for outright. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY! CUSTOMER SERVICE WILL LIE OUTRIGHT AND NOT ASSIST YOU!

Original review: April 27, 2019

Bought a ZTE Pro Max. 2 years ago. 3 weeks after I bought it it stopped working. Store wouldn't take it back. Keep it for some reason. Oh the model was discontinued. Now 2 years later it works just fine. But it's locked. They wouldn't unlock. I didn't have their service for a year. 12 continuous months. Wait - I bought my phone out right. Box says no contract. I was told this information is in the terms and conditions. Where are they located. Inside the box? This is false advertising. Stuck with a $300.00. Bad service all around. This site made me give it a star I would give them none.

Original review: April 27, 2019

Their customer service is the worst. I was lied to multiple times and hung up on twice by supervisors. They say they have no authority to make any decisions to help you. I was on the phone multiple times for hours to no avail. It was a total waste of time. I will never be a customer of them or T-Mobile ever again.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Purchased a kit to activate my phone (4/15/2019) but was refused, in store service. Was told that management doesn't allow them to activate phones in store. Activated phone myself, but service was terrible. Kept going in and out. Now I know why they refused to activate phone in store because they knew there would be a problem getting service. Money should have been refunded but they told me that once kit is purchase there's no refund. People DON'T PURCHASE this service unless they clean up their act. Going back to Straightalk. I live about 3 miles from Walmart and service is even worse. Most of the time there's service at all. I guess that what I get for trying to save a few dollars lol.

Walmart Family Mobile Company Information