TracFone Wireless

Tracfone

3.6/5 (549 ratings)

About Tracfone

TracFone Wireless is a budget-friendly cell phone service provider that lets customers keep their own phones, customize their plans and enjoy the flexibility of a prepaid plan. Customers never have to sign a long-term contract and can carry unused minutes, text and data over to the next month. TracFone offers simple, transparent plans that don’t include overage charges or hidden fees.

Pros

• Customers can keep their phones
  • Multiple plans available
  • Low monthly rates

Cons

• Not compatible with all phones
  • Slower data speeds

Bottom Line

TracFone is a budget-friendly cell phone service provider with customizable cell phone plans and no long-term contracts. It offers nationwide coverage and no hidden fees.

TracFone Wireless Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TracFone Wireless?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about TracFone Wireless?

Original review: June 7, 2020

Signed up for Auto Refill and billed me for 2 months. Called customer service and was a nightmare. Asked for one month to be refunded. Said they couldn’t do anything. So I asked to speak to manager and they asked for my number and they would have manager call me in 4 hours. Never happened. I just canceled the auto refill and that’s how I resolved the issue. I guess you get what you pay for. Cheap phone service equals poor service. Still use Tracfone because the connection is as good as Verizon. Data is slow, but 95% of time I’m on Wifi. So no big deal.

Original review: June 3, 2020

I currently am with godaddy.com for phone services. That is however not working out. I contacted TracFone and asked the steps to transfer my number and services to Tracfone. I was told I only needed to get the number released and purchase a tracfone. I did so and called this morning back to tracfone to have it switched over. It has been nothing but a headache. I am now returning the phone and going to find a different provider as I am guessing that what I have gone through today is just a glimpse of what to expect for services if I was to move forward. They need to get their phone system fixed. Every time I was transferred to someone else the line disconnected and I had to start over.

I finally went through their website chat which the lady was not able to finish helping me. She had a manager contact me back of whom I could barely understand due to language barrier. She kept asking me the same questions over and over and when I yelled at her I already answered those questions she tried telling me she is just trying to help me. Then to top it off they didnt tell me everything I needed to do services and I still needed other info to continue. Well I will not continue. I will return the phone and find a different provider. I dont care if I have to pay more a month. Maybe then at least I will have better customer service. I will never recommend Tracfone to anyone.

Original review: May 27, 2020

I started with a TracFone in 1997-2003. Then signed back up in 2006 and have kept it active ever since. The phones and call quality seem OK, on data usage you are close to the bottom of the bucket on speed. But if you need to use data in sending photos in text or getting weather updates, it can be slow. I hope you never have to use customer service. 10 yrs ago customer service was very responsive to customer needs. I had problems with a new phone while traveling and they bent over backwards to make it right. BUT in the last 3 yrs I have had text minutes just disappear and spent over 4 hrs on a phone on a carrier to get them back only after insisting on speaking with someone in the US. I've had various problems that required being transferred up the chain of command to get solved. Like so many here have stated the folks you are talking to just do not understand what you are trying to tell them.

Today is the last straw. I am trying to get my phone "unlocked". I purchased it over a year ago because the phone I had was being phased out at the end of the year. TracFone was making me get a new phone, not my idea. Had my service transferred to new phone and all seemed well. Now they tell me the 6 months of transferred time does not "count" on the requirements to unlock. I got transferred up the line once before I got disconnected. Now wondering if it's worth the fight since I have decided that after 14 yrs continuous service I have had enough, my blood pressure can't take the fight anymore. I'll sacrifice my 3k+ talk min, 4k+ text min, and 3g+ data and throw in the towel. Unless you like the fight to get what you have paid for, don't do it, go somewhere else.

Original review: May 11, 2020

I was a relatively happy Tracfone user for about 15 years. Due to the structure of their plans, I always purchased more minutes than I needed and had accumulated over 3000 minutes. When my old phone died and I activated a new one, they claimed there were no minutes on my old phone to carry over. I could get nowhere with their customer service reps. In searching online, I found this is not uncommon but they never admit they are in error.

Original review: May 8, 2020

I have been a Tracfone customer for ten years. I have two Tracfones with 6,000 minutes left on them. My latest experience trying to get Tracfone to fix my problem was enough to make me walk away from the whole stinking mess and find another prepaid phone company. Absolutely the WORST ** customer service I have ever seen. Spent two days trying to get a new phone, either buying an upgrade or getting a free replacement for a broken phone. Their eCommerce site kept declining my credit card, and my bank said they never saw the transaction, the issue was with Tracfone. One tech said he would send me a replacement phone for free, and transferred me to another one who refused to do it.

In all, I spent ten hours over two days, called back eight times, and talked to ten customer service reps and a supervisor, each time having to repeat the same damn story from the beginning, and I still couldn't get anyone to solve my problem. About half of the customer service people could barely speak English, and the other half were morons who made me jump through hoop after hoop after hoop, only to wind up at a dead end. Bottom line: If you want a cheap phone with rollover minutes, get anything else EXCEPT Tracfone. If you don't listen to me and get a Tracfone, if you ever need customer service for anything, forget it -- better off just sticking a hot needle in your eye. Tracfone is not worth the cost in time wasted and aggravation from dealing with morons who couldn't care less about keeping your business.

Original review: May 5, 2020

I have had TracFone for more then 10 yrs. I upgraded my wife's phone to an iPhone last week. They wiped all her data and text off the account. After 5 days and 5 different people I have finally given up and will go over to Cable phone!

Original review: May 2, 2020

Second time, ripped off for air time. Tried a new phone DEC. 2019. Never got service. Lost $35 bucks returning phone. Jan 25 2020 I buy 400 min for my Nokia phone. Min never added, twice I was told min were added. Never showed up on phone, I had over 200min at that time, when 200 min ended so did service. I could not get C/S to get the fact that if min do not show on phone it goes dead. 15 years I had great service. C/S says it was added but can't show me when over 600min were used. We never use more than 60 min a month. Watch out consumers. What was a great phone co. has now gone, we don't care.

Original review: April 26, 2020

I've been a TracFone customer for over 8 yrs and have always been happy with this business. On 4/15/20 I purchase a reconditioned Samsung Galaxy J7. Out of the box, the phone had issues. Battery does not hold a charge for long. Yes, I did charge the phone as suggested for 4 hours. The speakers on the phone are damaged. The volume while playing music is very low, I have installed an app for sound boosting, but that doesn't help. While putting earbuds into the outlet, the buds have to be held the entire in order to hear the music threw them.

I called customer service. They were slightly rude. Which has never been an issue. I was told that I have to ship or mail the phone back. (I have to pay shipping costs) They can't send me another phone for an exchange. Then I will be refunded to purchase the phone again. The Live chat person told me I had 90 days warranty on the phone, when I called, I was told it was only a 30 day warranty. Even if I did want to purchase the same phone, it's no longer available on their site. Sadly, I'm out some money over this phone. BTW, I have only had the phone for less than 2 weeks.

Original review: April 17, 2020

I had a bad experience with a few of the customer service representatives at Tracfone/Safelink wireless. The individuals were very rude, clueless and obtuse to say the least. I felt as if I was talking to a 12 year old over the phone. I wouldn’t recommend this company to any human being on God’s green earth!!!! Be aware of this company!

Original review: April 15, 2020

I have been a customer for 15 plus years. I received a defective phone, they tried to tell me for 3 days I had to wait for it to update. After continuously calling they decided I have a defective phone. I have to send it back and now wait another 3 to 5 business days to get a phone. Now the big question is IF I get a phone. Now they say they have no record of my phone number. So bottom line POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE!

Original review: April 13, 2020

I like the phone service, it always gets out when I need it. Customer service is pleasant and courteous. Good price also. I like my phone also. My phone is also a good color, and is user friendly. It is a Samsung phone.

Original review: April 12, 2020

Like Talking to a Robot. In fact I accused Kenny of being a robot and he replied he was a person. I contacted customer service to correct an order for more data on my account which I had ordered online. After many attempts to convince Kenny that there Was a problem and of how to correct the problem (ie; to cancel an incorrect order and help facilitate a new order) I asked to be put in touch with a supervisor. He told me he would have one call me within 15 minutes. I waited. No call. Reconnected with Tracfone; Genevieve. She answered very briefly and said said she would have the Refund Dept. call me within 15 min. I waited. No call. It's a very easy fix. They seem not to WANT to do it. Meanwhile, I'm trying to buy their product and they won't let me.

Original review: April 9, 2020

TracFone is not for everyone, but is ideal for those of us who do not stay on our phone constantly. With WiFi everywhere internet is almost always available. And for the price it can't be beat. I get the yearly plan and it gives me more minutes, data, and texts than I ever use. And they roll over.

Original review: April 7, 2020

Both my wife and I have used them for many years. I'm able to roll over unused minutes and sometimes my wife does have to buy more data, but their pricing on a one year plan for people who don't spend their entire life on the phone, is extremely affordable with a one year plan. We average less than $10/month for each line.

Original review: April 6, 2020

Well the thing that doesn't work and every time I call customer service they cannot help me out professionally is when I tell them that this phone volume is messed up. I just bought this phone from Walmart about 2 months ago and it's just ridiculous. This is the second phone. I turn back these cell phones I keep getting. Don't work too well so that's bad.

Original review: April 4, 2020

More reasonable pricing than the other cell phone companies. I have my own I6S phone and pay for 1 Year service with 400 minutes plus for less than the others charge for a month. I presently have over 9000 minutes in my account which is more than I use in a year.

Original review: April 3, 2020

Good value for the price. Economical for simple phone service with few frills. Enables one to keep in touch without all of the wham, glam extras. If looking for simple phone service without having to pay for non-essentials, then why pay more?

Original review: April 2, 2020

The phone selection is a little weak but the customer service is excellent. You really can't beat the price for what how much the phone is used. There are few dead spots if you travel a lot but other than that the service is fine and I have never had a problem with any of the phones I have had with them.

Original review: April 1, 2020

I have had Tracfone service for years and thought they were okay. But I ordered a new phone last week because they were having a big sale, and with the $25 discount, it ended up being free. But here we are in the middle of the COVID-19 crisis and they still insist that you sign for your delivery in front of the delivery driver!!! UPS, Amazon and FedEx don't require it, but oh, a free tracfone is worth risking your life for!!! No thanks, they can send it back to tracfone!!!

Original review: April 1, 2020

Tracfone is a good company. Their plan pricings aren't always the best but I have yet to drop signal. Their phones are a tad outdated as well. That's all I have to say about Tracfone.

Original review: March 29, 2020

I couldn't rate customer service correctly because I haven't needed to use it- trouble free. I had ** touted, as a good deal for seniors but I'm playing less than half as much for a TracFone yearly plan and have plenty of service for my limited need to use a cell phone. Got a really good deal on the phone, too.

Original review: March 26, 2020

I've been with Tracfone for over 10 years...I tried to port my wife's Cricket number to tracfone with a tracfone sim kit. After over 2 hours on the phone I was assured all was well, her phone would be working in 3 hours and that I would get a call back that night to make sure it worked. It did not work, I did not get a call back and the real killer here...They disconnected my phone FOR NO REASON. I prepaid for an ENTIRE YEAR in Jan 2020. I was not able to call tracfone from my disconnected phone. I had to find a landline, waste another hour AND THEY COULD NOT TELL ME WHY THEY DISCONNECTED MY PHONE!

During a national emergency my family lost both phones in under 24 hours BECAUSE OF TRACFONE, WITH NO DAMN EXPLANATION! I have been way beyond furious with them. MY PHONE IS FOR EMERGENCIES AND IT DID NOT WORK BECAUSE OF TRACFONE. I had to get a hold of a supervisor in the corporate office to make them give me back my money. Their service IS NOT TRUSTWORTHY. I yelled and threatened until they refunded me for the entire ** year. I will never use Tracfone again. Not if they were the only cell provider on Earth. Do not trust Tracfone. In an emergency they will let you down!

Original review: March 25, 2020

"Customer Service" is HORRIBLE. "Customer Service" treated my husband like Dirt after Hubby just got his New Tracfone. He was so happy to get it, but did not yet know how to use it. "Customer Service" got an attitude. So some ** in "customer service" NEEDS TO BE FIRED IMMEDIATELY!!!

Original review: March 20, 2020

Tracfone used to be a good budget cellular provider, offering prepaid wireless. I used them for over 10 years, and over the lifetime of multiple phones. However, their customer service (or lack thereof) is an abomination. Over the course of these 10 years, I have had them randomly deactivate SIMs and reassign them to other phones, forcing me to have to spend an inordinate amount of time on the phone with their call centers in India for resolution. On one of these occasions, I spent *9 hours* on the phone with them going back and forth to get them to reactivate the service that I paid for. I stuck with them because they were cheap, and these issues were few and far between.

However, the last straw was when, a few days ago, I discovered they somehow applied someone else's charges (and subsequent chargeback) to one of the lines on my account, and deactivated the line erroneously. When I called to straighten it out, I was told that I have to pay for this chargeback, and on top of it they expect me to go out in a pandemic (coronavirus) to get a check or money order and mail it to them, in order for the line to be reactivated, even to be able to transfer the number to another provider. Bear in mind, this wasn't even my chargeback. My bank has no record of any such transaction, and I never requested a chargeback. So, they're expecting me to pay someone else's charges to get my line reinstated.

I'm in the process of pulling my business from this company and going with a better, more customer-friendly, prepaid wireless provider. Bottom line is, don't waste your time with Tracfone. You will end up stuck with a phone that doesn't work and having to waste time trying to reason with people who can't seem to understand basic logic. They'll just keep talking you in circles until you realize that the time you're wasting on them is more valuable than the service you're receiving.

Original review: March 17, 2020

Customer service is non-existent. If you have any problems there customer service is in the Philippines. You can't understand a word they say as there accent is so hard to understand they sound just like a truck with a bad wheel bearing. They are rude beyond belief and if I hear "I sorry" one more time I am gonna puke! Stay with local carriers even if it costs a few more bucks. Stay away!!!!

Original review: March 3, 2020

As a single mom, I've used this service for a few years for my home phone so my kids have a way to contact me. When it was time to reload my phone, it wouldnt accept it. I finally got a hold of a human (which is challenging) to explain my issue. She had me insert codes and turn it off and on a million times...but nothing worked. It said "my service was inactive." With a sick kid at home, I NEEDED it to work. I was on the phone with them for over an hour for them to ultimately tell me there was something wrong with their system and once it reset, the phone would start working on its own. Keep trying to make calls and/or send messages. (which costs minutes every time)

Fast forward 13 days and still no phone service! I called them back, she did entered a code on her end...FIXED no problem???‍♀️ When I asked about all those used up minutes and days, they refused to refund me and kept telling me, they were waiting on me to call them back....never at anytime, did they inform me that was the deal. I was suppose to keep trying until their system reset itself. They gave me the run around and told me "I still have plenty of service days, I shouldn't be worried about the ones I lost." I will never use this company again and I will certainly never rely on them for customer service!

Original review: March 3, 2020

This last weekend, I had my remaining, 1,200 minutes, 13,500 text and 12.59 data, transferred to a new phone. Then today, there was no airtime. Texts or data on the new phone, it had all disappeared. I called Tracfone, but talked to a robot and was not allowed to talk to a human. Nothing was done about the loss of my minutes, texts or data. Tried to contact customer service, but the same thing, a robot. Had to go out and purchase a new airtime card to get my phone to work again. This company has the worst customer service, I have ever seen. I only hope someone from Tracfone reads this and contacts me about my problem.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2020

Yesterday, while working to change my provider from Tracfone to StraightTalk, my phone suddenly lost its remaining airtime. I'd purchased a 1-year plan which should not have expired before this coming summer. Seven (7) calls to Tracfone all ended up with no help and two (2) disconnects. They are not able or qualified to provide any technical assistance, other than to transfer you to a another department that may or may not end up cutting off the connection. Extremely disappointing trying to deal with them. I would not recommend them if you should ever need their help! Would have given them "0" stars if I could.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2020

Try to make a call, doesn't work. Try to use call blockers to block robo spammers, they flood yer voice mail. Repeat restarting, always drops calls. So not only am I badmouthing TracFone in this review, but all cell phone carriers in general. Complaining to the FTC on the roboscammers, scammers still go through! I swear, if our Government won't do anything about this problem, I'm afraid I will have to gather up a bunch of people who are having the same issues and start a tech ban. Banning cell phones in general, mandating call boxes, (No dime necessary) And have house phones a must. Robocallers, beware! Change is coming, and YOU ain't gonna like it!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2020

They do not support wifi calling, so if signal is a concern, don't use them. If you need customer service, you will be routed offshore, so it can be cumbersome trying to understand them, though they try their best to be helpful. Can prepay 3 months in advance for an even better value.

TracFone Wireless Company Information