TracFone Wireless

Tracfone

3.5/5 (540 ratings)

About Tracfone

TracFone Wireless is a budget-friendly cell phone service provider that lets customers keep their own phones, customize their plans and enjoy the flexibility of a prepaid plan. Customers never have to sign a long-term contract and can carry unused minutes, text and data over to the next month. TracFone offers simple, transparent plans that don’t include overage charges or hidden fees.

Pros

• Customers can keep their phones
  • Multiple plans available
  • Low monthly rates

Cons

• Not compatible with all phones
  • Slower data speeds

Bottom Line

TracFone is a budget-friendly cell phone service provider with customizable cell phone plans and no long-term contracts. It offers nationwide coverage and no hidden fees.

TracFone Wireless Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TracFone Wireless?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about TracFone Wireless?

Original review: Feb. 24, 2020

Try to make a call, doesn't work. Try to use call blockers to block robo spammers, they flood yer voice mail. Repeat restarting, always drops calls. So not only am I badmouthing TracFone in this review, but all cell phone carriers in general. Complaining to the FTC on the roboscammers, scammers still go through! I swear, if our Government won't do anything about this problem, I'm afraid I will have to gather up a bunch of people who are having the same issues and start a tech ban. Banning cell phones in general, mandating call boxes, (No dime necessary) And have house phones a must. Robocallers, beware! Change is coming, and YOU ain't gonna like it!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2020

They do not support wifi calling, so if signal is a concern, don't use them. If you need customer service, you will be routed offshore, so it can be cumbersome trying to understand them, though they try their best to be helpful. Can prepay 3 months in advance for an even better value.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2020

Initial cost of phone was reasonable and cost, for minutes and data are low, if you are not a big user. They have a plan for most everyone, with different payment options. Drawback is phone calls go outside of the USA.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2020

The service and phone are wonderful as long as they’re working, but, when you must contact customer service, good luck! Discourteous, incompetent personnel who keep you on hold indefinitely, who have resolved nothing when the call is complete. Tracfone sent three different SIM cards on three consecutive occasions. None of which were for my phone model. Resolution on the website is even worse. Tracfone is a roll of the dice!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2020

I am not a person like you see walking down the road staring at my cell phone. I use a cell phone very little so I don't need one of those $1000 cell phones. I have been using Tracfone for 12 years now and it is just what I need. They have never failed me and I plan on using for a long time.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2020

Tracfone is a very reasonably priced option for someone who does not use a phone very much. I have mine for emergencies and when I'm out on my motorcycle or traveling out of town. I buy the basic service plan which only cost me twenty dollars for 90 days of service.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2020

While Tracfone is a fairly good company they charge a lot for data. Then when you use that data it appears to disappear at a faster rate than the big companies. The upside is that there is no contract and regular rates for talk and text are good.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2020

Before going to a permanent contract cell provider, I used a pre-paid TracFone for several years. I never had any problems, i.e., the cost was reasonable compared to other pre-paid plans, the phone’s reception was good, and I very rarely had a “dropped call” or experienced areas with no cellular coverage. I would recommend a pre-paid phone, especially for low-income individuals, and seniors who don’t use a cell phone as their basic means of communication.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2020

I have had the Tracfone plan for over 8 years with four different phones. My latest phone is an LG and it works great for me. I have had no problems with the service and the phone. My previous phone was a Samsung 5 and the other two were Tracfone flip and a Tracfone plain. The plan I use is the 90 days with 90 minutes talk, text and data. The talk, text and data keeps forwarding if you don't use them all and you keep buying a card for 90 days to renew the service. If you need more talk, text or data they have card which you can add to the plan. If your usage is limited this is a great plan. However, even if you exceed the cost to add data, text or talk is very inexpensive.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2020

I have had a Tracfone since they came out. Being retired, I don't need to use it that often but I always carry it when I leave the house. I have email capabilities on the phone, too, although I haven't needed to use it. I use voice, text messaging and the camera. The company doubles the time I purchase on a tracphone card which makes the phone even more affordable. For someone who doesn't need to carry a cell phone every day, this is a useful, practical, and affordable alternative to a smartphone.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2020

The Tracfone (flip phone) fit my exact needs at work. I needed a phone I could slip into my pants pocket while I installed equipment in racks, cabling under raised floor, etc. The phone was simply a way my peers / folks could reach me. I have a computer on my desk and don't need all the apps that come with a smart phone. And to add, most all smart phones, i.e. iPhones, Androids, etc are too bulky for the work I do. I usually have to set the phone down somewhere during some installations and retrieve it later. If I can remember where I left it.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2020

When we crossed the border into Washington State in January, we purchased a plan before continuing on our trip to Las Vegas. When we tried our phone upon arrival, the phone said "No service". I called TracFone and was told the plan had been cancelled. It seems they gave the phone number to two different people, and Person #1 cancelled the plan. That left us with nothing! I explained to them that we had not even used the plan we purchased. They would not accept that. So, I asked them to cancel our plan. They asked security questions, and we answered them.

One of the questions we were asked was "what is your birth date". We told them and they said that was incorrect! How dumb is that? According to them, we do not know our birthdates!! After haggling with them for about an hour, I then asked for a refund. (In the meantime, we had wrecked one phone trying to remove the SIM card as instructed by them, and went out and bought a new one). As to the refund, they would only give it to us if we answered the security questions (our birthdates) correctly. Of course, it was impossible. We were transferred to supervisors several times..no one solved the problem. It appears we were given a phone number which had already been given to someone else and was still active (we got calls for that person). The other person cancelled and we were left without service. The matter was never rectified.

So...we went online and purchased a plan. All went well until we asked for our phone number. We were then told there were no numbers available for our area. So, we asked them to cancel the plan. They said they couldn't. We waited a couple of days, then called them again and gave them a different ZIP code. The person we spoke to this time was able to give us a phone number. The first two weeks of our vacation, we were without phone service and spent a lot of time on another phone trying to solve our problem. The staff do not seem to know what they are doing. There is also a problem with their accents...very difficult to understand. I no longer recommend TracFone to ANYONE! BY THE WAY, we got no refund for the unusable plan we purchased!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2020

TracFone has budget friendly plans with unlimited carryovers. In addition, minutes never expire and you are not locked into a contract. They have the latest phones and make upgrading to a new phone a really simple procedure. I have traveled across the country, and have always enjoyed good connections. I have owned a TracFone for about 4 years and I find this prepaid plan works perfect for casual phone users as well as moderate phone users. In addition to good plans, they also have good customer service.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2020

I seldom used the phone, but you prepaid for a specific number of minutes for the month, and then they would expire and not carry over. If you didn’t renew each month, then your service would terminate and you would have to reactivate the phone (and lose any minutes or bonus minutes that you had built up).

Original review: Feb. 22, 2020

This service is extremely convenient and the price fits easily in my annual budget -- pay one time for the year! If there is every a need to add more time, it is easy and convenient to do. Plans for 365 days includes text, voice and data. Your data is preserved when you have wifi connection. This service is ideal for someone who just needs a telephone without a lot of extra things. It is ideal to interact with businesses that require cell phone number, etc. It is very convenient and highly recommended. You can easily stay within your budget with this phone. I purchase service for 365 days each time and have some roll over.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2020

I appreciate Tracfone's customer care via chat. They respond very quickly and efficiently. I also appreciate the lower expense in phones but also that you can use data to access any of your online accounts.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2020

Overall, the company does a good job. However, many of their employees have no idea of what they are doing. Also, You have to pay monthly rather than monthly or yearly. The most annoying thing is that you receives notices, beginning about 1 week before the payment is due, despite having the payment paid automatically monthly.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

DO NOT deal with this company. We had been customers of theirs for a few years & attempted to purchase a new phone in Dec. (2019) for our daughter. We PAID for a NEW phone & they sent us a refurbished phone. We called & explained the situation & they sent us another phone & that phone was also a refurbished phone. Realizing we weren't getting anywhere, we requested instructions on how to send the phones back to them & get our money back. We sent the phones back, per their instructions, at the beginning of Jan. & have been fighting for our money back, which we still have not received.

We did everything that they asked, documented everything, have been given numerous excuses from the company as to why we haven't received our money, & have finally had to turn it over to our credit card company, whom we hope will be able to go after this very dishonest company. I wouldn't even give them a one star rating if I had a chose. Have never had such dishonest service from a company before.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

My mother has had a TracFone, that you add annual minutes and service to. Her contract was set to expire on February 13th. She purchased the $99 plan and minutes (she has over 5000 minutes on the plan still available). We called and they loaded everything on the phone and told us she is set. On February 13th the phone stopped working. Says NO SERVICE. We spent over an hour and half on customer service for them to say she needs a new SIM card and then she will be able to load the new SIM card in and she should be good’.

We purchased the SIM card from them, they gave her a new number, yes they told her had to have a new number. Then the card came in and we called for them to connect everything and the new number, and new SIM card and still NO SERVICE. Now they are blaming it on local towers.. Never had a problem before the disconnect date. Now they say she has to have a new Tracfone because hers is older.

All I can say is, they are they ones who screwed up, and now they want us to spend more money to buy another phone. Shady company with horrible customer service. I’m sure they bank on elderly individuals falling for their scams to get seniors to spend more money on phones when they disconnect them. I am not a senior, but an educator and I am appalled at how this company operates. I would never recommend anyone to purchase from them.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

I have owned a Trac Fone for over 6 years now. It's reasonably priced. Their customer service is cordial and they won't try to sell you any more than you need. You get free phone calls if someone you know also has a Trac Fone. You just upload the free "duo", go to your contacts and you can use the video call or just the phone call. Love it!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

I needed a phone for car travel only and a few times while away from home. No need for streaming, internet, etc. For about $7.00 a month hard to beat! Purchase prepaid minutes and they carry over. I have more minutes than I will ever use. Perfect for emergencies.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

I purchased Tracfones for my grandchildren. The plan I had gave them 1500 minutes and 1500 text for one year. The text and phone time seemed ok but the 1 gb of data was gone right out of the gate. They need to come out with phones for teens specifically.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

I have used Tracfone for an old flip cell phone and keep in my pocket when outside. I like having that security in case I fall outside. I was I didn't have to pay over $100 each year just for this security.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

We bought a Tracfone to have for an emergency. It does not have all the bells and whistles as our smartphones but we were not looking for that. When communicating with someone on the other end, the voice is clear on both ends. We are definitely satisfied for what we have in this phone.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

I love my TRACFONE. I spend less than $100 a year on it. My minutes carry over, they are doubled, and on occasion I get a promo code that gives me more minutes. Being on a fixed income the TRACFONE works just fine for me (make calls, receive calls, voicemail, text, take photos, videos, internet, alarm clock, calendar, speed dial, etc.,) just to name a few. I sometimes cringe when I hear what some are paying for phone plan, but I guess it all depends on what you want to do with your phone.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

Tracfone is wonderful if you want to make certain that you get everything you pay for! Automatic rollover of minutes and data makes it easy to budget, especially if you have a seasonal business so that you have some months where you use very little but some months that you use a great deal.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

The service was hit and miss most of the time. And having to go to the store to purchase the cards was a huge pain. But when I had one that was all I could afford so they definitely serve their purpose and have their niche in society.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

All of TracFone customer service, it seems, comes from overseas. Because of the language barrier, sometimes communication between the customer and the TracFone representative break down. I Initially tried to transfer the phone number from a regular phone to a smartphone. It ended with neither phone working. Both are deactivated. I tried to reactivate the smartphone using a new number, even paid $31.82 for service time and got nothing. Even the funds were subtracted from my account. I have been with TracFone for 24 years but I am seriously considering finding a new carrier.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

I have been using TRACFONE for many years. Usually buy a year card which gives me more minutes than I will ever use. Unused minutes do not expire, but roll over to the following year, Great bargain, and I can even use it for overseas calls, since I have family in Europe, this is really a great company to deal with.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

Customer Service can be a challenge. There is a language problems and hold times can be Iong. I am mostly dissatisfied with the phone. I restrict my phone purchases to Tracfone phones to lessen difficulties. The phone works well in my area (Verizon). I do not use my phone that much.

TracFone Wireless Company Information