3.06/5
Based on 2,951 ratings submitted in the last year

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

formerly Qwest

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

4797 CenturyLink Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

I'm old. My house is old??? Tech couldn't find any of the land lines into my house that would work for my internet so he plugged it in next door. Works fine with a booster in my house...my old house. But isn't there anyway my box can come home? I have no cable or landline because I'm old...really old. And no $$$$. Bad enough I have to share my dinner with my old dog. Because we're old...really old. And have no $$$$.

CenturyLink response

Hello, Carin. That's certainly unusual and I'm sorry that this happened. Let me see what I can find out and what we can do to get the equipment set up properly. Send us a message on here and I can get started.

Original review: July 26, 2019

Dan from CenturyLink came out to our home today and he installed our new internet and cleaned up outside previous cables from other companies at no charge. He was thorough, professional, patient and very receptive to questions. Highly recommend him for your installation. 5 stars!

CenturyLink response

Hello Matthew, we're so glad to hear that you had a great experience with one of our techs - this is definitely the type of work ethic we want to encourage, so thank you for taking the time to provide us with the feedback. If anything crops up in the future, and you have questions or concerns, then please send us a message here, and we'll be happy to help.

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 13, 2019

Mrs. ** was incredible with helping me get my internet service. I would recommend any to her to everyone. She has a great personality and very educated in her line of work. I will definitely continue my services with CenturyLink in the future.

CenturyLink response
      Hello, Emanuel. I"m so glad that you had a positive experience with CenturyLink! We love hearing about it. If you ever need assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to message us here or using one of the following options:
      Facebook - www.facebook.com/CenturyLink/
      Twitter - twitter.com/CenturyLinkHelp

Contact Us - www.centurylink.com/home/help/contact.html

Original review: March 17, 2019

I have had this internet for 12 years now. They are very reliable. I stream all of my content through Roku and it has never failed me. I have lost my internet only 5 times in 12 years. I have the middle speed and it fine for my family of 4.

CenturyLink response

We are so happy to hear that your experience with us thus far as been positive! We do still want to let you know there is an outlet here, that should you need help or have any questions for us, you're able to use to get the assistance you need. Thank you for your review and we hope you have a great rest of your week!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

DirecTV should have never merged with CenturyLink. The company has literally wiped me out of money, and blamed it all on DirecTV. No one pays the amount of money they are asking for television. I have paid out over $800 in the last three months. CenturyLink blames DirecTV when it is not them at all because DirecTV says I do not owe them anything. I really need some help with this. I always thought Comcast was the worst company ever. Now I look at CenturyLink as the second company worst ever. They are nothing but thieves.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CenturyLink?

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

My husband and I recently moved and since we both work from home our company sent in orders for two business lines to be ADDED to the address. Instead of adding the first one they overrode the residential line, never bothered to knock on the door, check that things were working for us, or configure the modem. Since it's a business line we had to go through our work to get a new appointment set up. Second appointment. Technician comes out and is actually helpful. So he sets up two business lines (we offered to set up residential again later because having a job is pretty important to us). The company wouldn't push internet to the second line that was all ready to go sans that. They told the technician Wanted us to call a number. Since again business we called our company who called the number and transferred around. No one would enable internet to the line.

For 20 minutes one of the rep was bellyaching about how that isn't what the ticket said (well sure that's our problem) but then finally looked at the order and it was just as stated. Two business orders for standalone internet. No apology for the inconvenience or their mistake, or blaming us for their error. Plus it never got resolved. They couldn't arrange for a work order to go to the technician who was here and pushed it out another two days for the second line. The first business line that had been overridden sure enough wasn't configured right to work with our company's standards and vpn so he configured it and then left.. (This started Friday, second appt was Monday.) Oh and did I mention we had to explain about 10 times that we needed both lines cuz they kept trying to turn the one working line off?

Okay so now my faith in the company is destroyed and I call to make sure they aren't planning to still charge us for the residential line that was overridden. But of course they were. Customer service rep treated me like an idiot. They said they had to turn it off the next day. Since we only had the one modem I've no idea where this phantom line was feeding. So all day Tuesday I'm working and half expecting someone to turn it off. Luckily they didn't which is a bit shocking considering..

So Wednesday is here and we're supposed to have someone fix my husband's line so he can work. No one showed up all day or knocked on the door or anything ... just like the first Friday. This is by far the worst internet experience of our life and I've been telecommuting for over a decade. I cannot believe the horrible experiences we've had over and over with this company. How hard is it to put a comment on an address saying we need two distinct business lines and one friggin' residential?

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I had CenturyLink service for close to two years. Never could get a bill emailed or printed. This should have been an omen of what was to come. My credit card charged 55.60 per month every month but one day the internet just went off. 10 days of no internet, 30 calls and who knows how many transfers proceeded. They couldn't find my account. When they thought they did (but couldn't access it) I was transferred to another department, and the vicious cycle would repeat.

Finally, frustrated I asked if they could honor the price and just make a new account. They did, and the calls are still mounting. They tried to get me with the install fee. Now they are trying to charge an extra $15 a month. They say it's the difference of a router fee, the same router I had before. That's a $145 annual mark up. So, now I shop for internet service. When the service did run, it was great. But the company's ability to access accounts, problem solve, and live up to commitments is the worst I've every encountered. Getting transferred out of country, by comparison, is an enjoyable experience.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I made the mistake of calling customer service to ask if they serviced another area that I was thinking of purchasing a home. Miracle the so called customer service rep could not answer the question. So I decided to call back another day since she had worn my patience out. 3 days later I come home from work and I have no internet. So I call India and ask why I have no internet, and lo and behold the genius Miracle put in a work order to cancel my internet and move it to the address I was inquiring about.

So after 3 hours on the phone and 10 nit wits later, they said they couldn’t fix it until the next morning. So like a moron I call back the next morning and spend 58 minutes on the phone and 2 robots later I am told it’s fixed. I get home from work and still no internet. So lucky me I have India on speed dial now, after 2 1/2 hours and 3 more robots they still can’t get my internet back on. But wait they are here to help and care so much about the customers and want to fix the screw up they caused, so they will send a tech out next week. Oh boy can’t wait to see the tech face to face. STAY AWAY!!!! DO NOT USE THIS SO CALLED COMPANY!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

Had fiber installed in June. The line was cut three times by contractors (we are in a new community). The CenturyLink contracted technicians repaired the line each time in a VERY timely manner. All of the contracted techs that I have dealt with (4 of them) have been great. They are responsive, professional, and done their jobs well. The service itself has been great. Only one very quick outage in the last 2+ months. That’s where the good ends.

At about 1:30 today my internet dropped. Coincidentally, a tech happened to be next door burying fiber for my neighbor. Knowing that my neighbor has Spectrum, I asked the tech who he was working for, he said CL. "Oh, ok are you here to finally bury my fiber," I asked. He said no, for the neighbor. I said, "He has Spectrum, yes but he is getting CL." "Hmm, ok." "Well, my internet just dropped, did you do something?" Nope. He checked the line, perfect signal no problems. Ok... the dreaded call to Customer Service. Unfortunately, I have had the unpleasant experience of speaking with them in the past. Of course, they want to run through their script of troubleshooting. Which seems especially cumbersome with CL. Finally, 45 minutes into the call, CS discovers that my ‘order’ has been cancelled. 45 minutes later, the best they can do is schedule an install for three days from now.

Just to recap, the service has been installed AND working for over two months. The fiber is installed and powered up. The equipment is installed and working. The service was working until 1:30 PM today. BUT because they canceled the ‘order’, they created a new order for a complete new install for three days from today. I explained that was unacceptable, asked to speak with a supervisor and placed on hold again... Finally after 20 mins, I was transferred to Customer Care. What’s the difference, you might be wondering. Customer Service = overseas; Customer Care = US. Customer Care is much more helpful, nonetheless could not help me. They stated that the dispatch department are the only ones who could override the install date. CC did explain the situation to them and they stuck to their 3 day date. Which is completely unacceptable.

CL made the mistake by canceling my service and their remedy is to do a new install three days later. When all of the equipment and wiring are already installed. Unbelievable. Their customer service is absolutely abysmal. It is actually worse than Spectrum and that is saying something. Fiber is obviously better than cable, which is their saving grace. And there are no other options for fiber in our area. Again, this review is of their Customer Service, or lack thereof, not the actual service. Their CS makes the DMV look like Nordstrom. Jeff Storey needs to make fixing their Customer Service a primary strategic objective in the next 12 months.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

Absolutely horrible repair service. Our business phone line started to act weird on a Wednesday so we put in a repair ticket, and were told a tech would be able to make it out the following Monday. It then went out completely the next day. We updated the repair ticket and were told a tech would make it out that day (Thursday). They didn't show up Thursday or Friday. We waited for the scheduled time on Monday, and they still didn't show up.

When we contacted CenturyLink we were told the tech had shown up on Sunday, while we were closed, and had repaired some wires. The problem was not fixed, and would have been apparent if the tech had shown up during business hours which we had given them. Now, we're waiting again. We were told the tech would be here around 1pm Tuesday (the day after the original date they were supposed to be here), now it's been pushed back to sometime on Wednesday. That's a full week of phone problems and no resolution.

CenturyLink expert review by ConsumerAffairs

CenturyLink was founded 1968 and is now the third largest DSL provider in the United States. The company provides Internet, television, home security and home phone services. It also partners with Verizon to offer cell phone service. Customers receive discounts for subscribing to multiple CenturyLink services.

• International plans: CenturyLink offers reduced rates for calling select countries in Central and South America. They also have plans for other international call and plans specifically for calling Canada.

• Extra features: Consumers can choose a plan with a wide variety of features, including call forwarding, caller ID, three-way calling, voicemail and more.

• Refer-a-friend: CenturyLink’s refer-a-friend program rewards consumers when someone signs up for a new service using an existing customer’s referral link. If the new customer remains with the company for two months, both parties receive a gift card worth up to $75, depending on the type of service the new customer selects.

• Online support: The Guidance Center section of CenturyLink’s website has tools to help customers with questions or problems. If customers can’t solve the problem on their own, they can easily make a service call request from the same page on the website.

• Best for: CenturyLink is best for consumers who want to bundle multiple services.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs