formerly Qwest

3.8/5 (703 ratings)

About CenturyLink

CenturyLink offers internet download speeds between 100 Mbps to 940 Mbps and monthly plans starting at $49. It provides bundling services for residential and small business customers and serves 36 states. Not all states in CenturyLink’s converge area will have fiber optic options. CenturyLink breaks its internet services down into two main categories: the DSL plan and the Fiber Gigabit plan.

Pros

• Great for gamers
  • Up to 940 Mbps
  • No contracts

Cons

• Gigabit not available in all areas
  • Not available in all states

Bottom Line

CenturyLink offers internet, home phone and TV programming services. Most internet options are best for basic internet speeds on a few devices, but the Fiber Gigabit plan is good for heavy internet users.

Top CenturyLink Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

We've had CenturyLink internet service in one of our Park City, UT condos for about 3 years now and we've been very happy with it. I'd highly recommend their internet service if y...

Verified

Dan from CenturyLink came out to our home today and he installed our new internet and cleaned up outside previous cables from other companies at no charge. He was thorough, profes...

CenturyLink internet plans

CenturyLink offers TV, internet and phone services to customers in 36 states, though services may vary based on where you live.

CenturyLink internet
If you are only looking for internet service for your home or business, CenturyLink has two options. The CenturyLink Internet with Price for Life option makes it easy to browse the internet, stream videos, send emails and connect multiple users and devices. There are no contracts or price hikes.

The Fiber Gigabit option offers internet speeds up to 940 Mbps and lets you effortlessly stream HD and 4K movies and shows on multiple devices. Each device experiences symmetrical speeds and unlimited data.

You can select the internet speeds you need and browse plans based on what is important to you: streaming movies, listening to music, gaming or uploading videos.

CenturyLink TV
If you are looking for an alternative to cable TV, CenturyLink partners with leading satellite providers to offer an extensive selection of TV channels and programming options. The streaming TV services do not require contracts and can be customized to your TV watching needs. CenturyLink offers makes it easy to access services and premium channels such as:
  • YouTubeTV
  • FuboTV
  • Sling
  • Starz
  • ESPN Plus
  • Fox Nation
  • Disney Plus
  • Hulu

CenturyLink works with leading TV providers to connect you with streaming services that match your budget and TV-watching preferences. Customers can sign up for CenturyLink and start a free trial through the TV provider.

Each provider offers different channel lineup options, streaming options and recording services. Many offer no-contract plans with no installation requirements. Once you’ve signed up with the provider, you can download the company’s app and start steaming through CenturyLink internet right away.

CenturyLink home phone
CenturyLink’s home phone plans offer long-distance options and popular calling features like call waiting, voicemail, three-way calling, call forwarding and caller ID. The basic plan covers local calls, and the unlimited plan includes all of the features of basic plus local and long-distance calls. CenturyLink also offers international calling plans.
CenturyLink bundles
If you need internet, phone or TV packages for your home or business, CenturyLink offers bundle deals to help you combine services and save money. You can bundle two or three service options without committing to a long-term contract. Bundle options and prices vary by location.

CenturyLink internet prices

Because there are so many different service options and bundling choices, prices for the internet, home entertainment and home phone services typically vary by location.

Internet prices
Typical prices for CenturyLink internet services are:
  • CenturyLink Internet with Price for Life: $49 a month for all speeds up to 100 Mbps
  • Fiber Gigabit: $65 a month for speeds up to 940 Mbps
TV prices
CenturyLink doesn’t offer streaming channels, but it connects customers with leading TV providers that do. For this reason, prices and packages vary, but the average TV streaming service offers more than 60 channels and costs anywhere between $50 to $75 a month. DirecTV, DISH and AT&T TV are $59.99 a month for 24 months.
Home phone prices
Home phone service with unlimited nationwide calling through CenturyLink is typically around $60 a month.
Bundle prices
Prices and available for CenturyLink’s bundles vary by location, but sample prices for plans are:
  • Home phone and internet: $85 a month
  • DirecTV + internet + home phone: $145 a month

Some other fees that consumers should be aware include a broadcast fee of $2.49 per month and a sports fee of $2.49 per month

CenturyLink FAQ

Is CenturyLink a good internet provider?
Yes. CenturyLink offers fast internet speeds and the ability to choose internet programs to meet your streaming needs and budget.
Is CenturyLink DSL or cable?
CenturyLink offers DSL and fiber internet service.
What does CenturyLink do?
CenturyLink offers internet, home phone and TV programming services for residents in 36 states.
What is CenturyLink Prism?
Prism is CenturyLink’s premium HD TV programming service. Customers have access to premium channels like HBO, Cinemax, Showtime and Starz. The most basic Prism package starts at $44 a month.
Can I use my own modem with CenturyLink?
Yes. If your modem works with CenturyLink technology, you can use your own modem.
Is CenturyLink Fiber good?
Yes. CenturyLink Fiber offers fast internet speeds that make it easy for multiple devices to stay connected.

CenturyLink Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CenturyLink?

Original review: Nov. 10, 2022

This is the worst company I have ever had the displeasure of working with. We scheduled installation at our new residence 4 times since August and still do not have service. The reps do not show up and my husband took off work 2 days for them. We had Spectrum for 35+ years without an issue... If I did not have to use them I would not!!! Not sure who they are... Lumen... Brightspeed... Name changes every day. Last technician simply took the remainder of the day off and did not show up as my husband waited. They are now saying they will not be out until December 28th. Phone techs are kind but, what good is that???? Do not use them unless you have to.

CenturyLink response

Thank you for contacting us about your missed appointment. I apologize for what you have endured trying to get a technician to your home, as I understand your time is valuable. I would be happy to review your account if you would like to send me a private message.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: Nov. 7, 2022

What a joke this company is let me tell you!! Their customer service team is TERRIBLE!!! Do better and train your terrible!!!! You wait for hours just to be traffic back and forth because NOBODY knows how to help you!!!

Hello,

I apologies for any customer service issues you may have encountered. Send me a private message if there is anything I can do to assist you.

Thank you.

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Nov. 5, 2022

I have never in my life. Wrote a bad review until now... CenturyLink has to be the worst moral company ever for one. Don't ever trust an internet provider that's websites can't even work correctly. I by all means begging everyone Do not get CenturyLink, here's my story why. I really was excited to get CenturyLink because they seemed like a good offer and my friend said they were Good and I've had CenturyLink for a while now and it's been positive. The internet has been really really slow but I don't really need that much but now I'm in a financial difficulty and I needed to cancel my service so I went on the app and it gave me instructions to go on the website and click the cancel service button which I clicked.

I filled out the little survey on why and then it said my internet was canceled and then it gave me instructions on how to mail the modem. Then in the beginning of the next month they decided to charge my card leaving me in more financial debt and not being able to get to work. I tried to call the offices for the help but those departments are shut down while the other departments are open. So I went on the website to chat with an agent. They all acted helpful but then kept transferring me to another agent. Finally, I got the agent that could help me make the decision and they then afford me that sometimes their website acts up and they would cancel my account. But every time I got to the point where they were ready to cancel my account for some reason they would get disconnected and stop responding and block the chat not allowing me to disconnect my account.

They also refuse to give me a refund even though it was their website that acted up or that's what they say. So I had to keep going about waiting in line to find newer and newer people to chat with and as soon as I was able to provide my information and go over the story once again they then would disconnect. So as the last resort I tried to at least take my card off of the account but it won't let you remove your card. It only lets you replace.

This company is terrible. They have terrible morals. I do not understand how people have had good stuff with them. I would never recommend this. They've put me in a very difficult position. I have never actually wanted to write a bad review ever in my life but this is put me to a point where I have to. I don't know how to defend myself and I don't know how to get the financial loss. I possibly could take them to court or Sue but I don't even know if that would help. I'm sure they have better lawyers than I can afford. I just would like my money back or at least to be able to take my card off and cancel my account.

Hello Robert,

I apologize for all the issues you have encountered when trying to place your disconnect order. I would be happy to help you if you would like to send me a private message.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Nov. 1, 2022

There should be no reason we are now going on 36 days without our hardwired landline, there should not have been any days. When trying to get an ET on a resolution, we get a repeat of the vague statement posted on the website and instructions about resetting our modem. We DON'T have a modem, this is a LANDLINE. I had hardwired landlines that NEVER ONCE went out through numerous horrific Chicago blizzards, storms, and the occasional tornado and multiple earthquakes in Santa Cruz, CA. ET has now jumped another 30 days which is completely unacceptable.

CenturyLink response

Hello, I apologize for any issues you have encountered due to the extensive damage caused by the storm. I would be happy to review your account if you would like to send me a private message.

Resolution response: Nov. 5, 2022

My email problem was resolved today by a very talented and patient CenturyLink email support expert, Katie White. Given the magnitude of the e-mail issues being faced by the CenturyLink team it is understandable why it took so long to resolve the problem. I am very appreciative of their efforts.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2022

Apparently, CenturyLink has implemented a new Microsoft email system. I'm a long-term customer and was not informed of the conversion and the potential for a disruption of service. After spending almost an hour on hold for tech support I was informed that they no longer offer telephone tech support for email - only access to a web-based repair application. Over the course of the last week, I've submitted 5 problem reports each eliciting a robo response (I can receive but not send emails on my Apple devices and am unable to receive or send on Outlook). The robo response requests an email reply for more info which of course I'm unable to perform. When attempting to use the online do-it-yourself system I was unable to reset my password and subsequently locked out of proceeding. Not sure where to turn for a resolution.

Good afternoon,

I understand and apologize for the inconvenience. I have sent the information you have provided to the email support group and asked that someone contact you for assistance within the next 48 to 72 hours.

Cherie

Original review: Oct. 25, 2022

Updated on 10/27/2022: This is complete nonsense as we have been in touch with their support folks both via Facebook and on their support website on several occasions! They made some changes this past Sunday eve (10-23-22) on their Email /etc. and it hasn't worked correctly since!

Original: CenturyLink installed changes in their internet system this past Sunday eve (10-23-22) and things are now screwed up (with both email & the internet Speed Test)! I have been attempting to get Support without success!

Good morning,

I apologize for any issues you are having with your service. I would be happy to review your account if you would like to send me a private message.

Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2022

I was scheduled for a service call today October 19th between 8-5. I received the confirmation email and another in the morning of the appointment. I also received another email stating my tech would be arriving today but now the time period is 2:30 to 6:30 pm. I arrived home around 6 and called to make sure I was still set up an appointment. Got disconnected then used chat. Chat came on and told me now it's 7:27 Estimated arrival and finish by 7:43 PM. Well nobody showed or called.

I call again and they said there was no appointment scheduled for today which was a flat-out lie. Told me they were showing my appointment for December 14th and I never agreed to push it out and never was asked. One rep said there should be NO reason for an appointment to be pushed out to December 14th almost 2 months from now. I had all the email confirmations and chat transcript plus a screenshot of my appointment. They basically called me a liar. This is the worst customer service experience I have ever had.

Good morning,

Thank you for contacting us about your missed appointment. I apologize for what you have endured trying to get a technician to your home. I would be happy to review your account if you would like to send me a private response.

Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2022

Horrible customer service. I’ve been without Internet for two weeks. They were supposed to come today on September 21 and they cancel my appointment constantly without Internet and when they come they fix it and a couple of months later it’s the same problem. Do not use this company. I don’t understand how they still in business.

Good morning,

I apologize for the trouble you are experiencing with the internet and when trying to get it repaired, as I understand the importance of having a stable connection. I would be happy to review your account if you would like to send me a private message.

Chreie

Original review: Sept. 11, 2022

The service is always slow even paying for business high speed. They lose service a lot. Most recent experience while talking to tech support Demetrius from Florida. He could not help me. I asked repeatedly to speak to a different tech. He refused me the opportunity to speak to anyone else. With tech support behaving this way you have no chance. Tech calls are needed frequently because of the number of issues they have.

Good morning,

We haven't heard from you, and before we closed this case, we wanted to see if you still needed our help? Please reach out to us here, or at any of the following contact options:
    Facebook - www.facebook.com/CenturyLink/
    Twitter - twitter.com/CenturyLinkHelp

Contact Us - www.centurylink.com/home/help/contact.htm. Just let us know if you still need assistance by reaching out to us, and we'll be glad to help.

Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2022

If you want to start drinking, just go with CenturyLink. I have spent the last 5 hours trying to get decent customer service. I’ve used their app, their website, their chat function, called, and used their messaging function. I have not had a straight answer, or at least answers have changed with each conversation. We’ve had no internet since 8:30 this morning. After going through my own troubleshooting and double checking connectivity via their app, I break down and contact them. Now, their app told me I had a configuration issue. Since when I ask? Just in a morning it’s suddenly my configuration?? I think not. So I get scheduled with a repair person. Now understand that at this point, I’ve chatted to two different people and could not get an answer to a pretty specific question. I’ve called. Repairman coming.

So my husband decides to wait it out instead of driving to the office. Suddenly the internet is working. Huh. I call and get a robot that tells me whatever the robot feels is correct, try to cancel via their messaging, then call back and get a person. After talking to the actual person, I cancel via the website. Surprise! The internet doesn’t work again. So I spend the next 40 minutes through their channels of communication, including the robot telling me I have no connectivity again, and get the repair appointment back. Oh, and I’ve been upsold to the inside line protection.

Well, just to add joy to this experience, I can’t find the repair appointment and am wondering WTH is going on. I check the website and it now says there’s an outage. What???? I spend the next hour or so trying to find out how to cancel the repair person since it’s not showing up on my account and to delete the inside line up sell.

Finally, after more robots, messaging and calls, I get this info: yes, there is an outage; oh, we cancel any repairs if that’s the case; it won’t be fixed until about 5 this evening; we’re really sorry; we can’t take something off (like an inside line protection) until it’s been billed (wtf?); and we can credit you for the day of lost internet (a whole 2 bucks!). What I’d like to see is a credit for the stress they’ve caused today, not only for me, but for my husband who has now lost an entire day of work. Yeah, no. We can pay THEM $95 to have someone come out, but if it’s on their end, it just sucks to be you. If only there was another company to choose from.

Good morning,

Thank you for reaching out via this channel. I apologize for what you have encountered when trying to get help with your internet issues. If there is anything I can help you with, please send me a private message.

CenturyLink Company Information