1.12/5

Last updated: April 23, 2018

3787 CenturyLink Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 23, 2018

I gave Centurylink a chance in 2015. They have been a consistent failure! You miss a payment... ok pay the late fee. But they double your bill the next month! I had a $260 bill and before I could pay that I get next month's bill and it was double! Even though my monthly payment was less than $150 per month. I stopped service and the clowns charge me a $16 fee!!! My contract was over in 2017 and went month to month paying. NEVER NEVER USE THESE FOOLS! I would give these idiots a negative 10 if I could!

CenturyLink response

We are sincerely sorry to hear about the issues you’ve dealt with regarding your CenturyLink services. I would be more than happy to look into the $16 fee for you. Please let me know if you would like my help by responding to this message.

Original review: April 23, 2018

I am in the low income bracket due to being disabled now. Centurylink offered me a plan for 14.95 per month for 60 mos. Still have 30 mos to go but they went back on the agreement/contract I agreed upon. I had a friend give me a modem but after that Centurylink RAISED my monthly fee. They argue with me saying, "...listen you are getting almost $33 off our monthly rate." Well you little puppet **... that is not what my contract states... but who is going to get an attorney to sue and for what. Plus the government subs the remainder of the $$... all those service agents care about is what is written in front of them. You just can't fix stupid.

CenturyLink response

We are sincerely sorry to hear about the issues you’ve dealt with regarding your CenturyLink services. I would be more than happy to look into the CenturyLink Basics billing for you. Please let me know if you would like my help by responding to this message.

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 23, 2018

I am writing this review because 1 year and 4 months later I get a call from a collections company stating I owe over 200.00 for CenturyLink. Less than 1 week after the warranty expired for the modem I bought in 2016 my internet stopped working. I called CenturyLink and was informed that my modem has gone 'bad'. I was told that I had to get a new modem. So I again ordered a modem. When speaking to my colleagues about this issue - I was informed that I need to call again - and again was told it was the modem. I was told to call again and ask for a DSLAM- well all be damned it worked after I bought the stupid modem.

So I sent back the modem - tracking number ** and what was on the label customer refused package. Not only that but I also have a week of Facebook Messenger that has all of the issues that I had for over 10 days. So I am being charged for services that I did not use - for a modem that was returned and a year and 4 months later. I THINK NOT - perhaps I should sue CenturyLink for the 10 days that I was not able to work - I have my pay stubs to show my hourly wage and the time has been verified as well that I was without access to work.

CenturyLink response

We are sincerely sorry to hear about the issues you’ve dealt with regarding your CenturyLink services. I would be more than happy to look into the collections activity for you. Please let me know if you would like our assistance by responding to this message.

Original review: April 23, 2018

Phone and Internet went out at 9 pm last night. This company I believe does not deal with things at night. They value their sleep. Drove up a hill to have cell service and contacted a rep. The rep was snooty. Said its name was June but sounded male. Did not provide numerical id. I explained that I had trouble using a cell phone my girlfriend's phone. I think I communicated our home phone. Was told this phone had been disconnected. That they had no information on the phone.

Rough night as I need phone service for many reasons. Contacted CenturyLink today and was told there was a service outage and my account is in good standing. By the time I returned home the phone and internet were working. CenturyLink had no record of my call to that horrible tech. Overall my experience with CenturyLink is horrible. I have experience in the Bell System for many years and this is as bad as it gets in so many ways. If you can avoid Century Link do so.

CenturyLink response

We are sincerely sorry to hear about the issues you’ve dealt with regarding your CenturyLink services. I would be more than happy to see if I can locate the agent and would be happy to place credits onto the account for time without services. Please let me know if you would like my help by responding to this message.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 22, 2018

I have been doing "business" with Century Link for 7 years. Among other things, they changed my business phone number without notifying me, leading customers to think I had gone out of business. (Plus my young kids had a hard time reaching me at work that day.) They never show up when they say they will, leaving me stranded, waiting at work on days off for service techs to show up and help. I have lost track of how much money I have lost due to this company showing no regard for courtesy, or respect for others' time.

Recently, they decided to internally upgrade our family's modem. On a Friday. Which blew our modem out and will leave us without internet service at our home for four days. We were not informed of that this was the problem until we had been on hold for over 45 minutes on three separate occasions, and then 1 1/2" more hours on the phone with tech "support." One of these days, someone is going to stroke out while on the phone with Century Link. I look forward to reading the article regarding that lawsuit.

This leads to both my husband and I having to spend our own personal resources to drive somewhere else to check our e-mails and messages, as his cell phone is dependent on wifi to receive messages. Yes. We both wish ignoring messages was an option, but it's not when you're in a supervisory position. By my estimation, between driving to work to do what we could typically take care of from home, the time we got stuck on hold with Century Link receiving no help, just a chirpy message advising us to maybe "log in and chat live" (so easy to do with no internet!) as well as the loss of what we like to do in our down time (stream TV) Century Link just spend a minimum of $150 dollars of our own personal funds in just four days.

Why are we still with them? We currently have no options. However, a rumor is spreading that Alyrica is installing new lines in town. I have heard they have great customer service, don't make their customers spend multiple hours on hold, and don't blow out customers' modems on a Friday night with internal upgrades. I so look forward to working with Alyrica, instead of being held hostage by Century Link.

Updated on 04/23/2018: Due to your company's incompetence, we have lost internet service for four days. You believe the total adjustment for that loss of service should be $5.99 total. Please, explain to me, how that is any kind of assistance helps your company meet the following goals stated at the end of your letter. "CenturyLink appreciates your business and values you as a customer. Our goal is to provide you with excellent service." No service. No excellence. And we are clearly not valued as customers.

CenturyLink response

We are sincerely sorry to hear about the issues you’ve dealt with regarding your CenturyLink services. I would be more than happy to assist you, please let me know if you would like my help by responding to this message.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CenturyLink?

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 21, 2018

When we canceled our acct. with CenturyLink, we returned their equipment in the box "THEY" provided. Almost 1 year later, we get a letter from a collection agency stating that we owe C.L. for un-returned equipment. I told this collection agency that I have the shipping confirmation slip that this was returned to their address that they provided. They said that they would get in touch with them to try and clear this up. 1 year later, we get contacted "Again" from another collection agency for the same thing.

Even though we have proof that we have returned their equipment, they continue to hound us with collection agencies stating that we owe them $250 for their un-returned equipment. This has also been reported to the credit bureau. which is now affecting our credit. This is B.S. and I have chosen to pay these guys to save our credit. After checking the tracking number to see if this was delivered, "IT WAS!!!" I have PROOF that THEY received their equipment but they deny that they have. WTF. If you wish to be robbed blind, and have your credit ruined, sign up with CenturyLink. They are more than happy to slander their customers.

CenturyLink response

We are sincerely sorry to hear about the issues you’ve dealt with regarding your CenturyLink services. I would be more than happy to look into the collections activity for you. Please let me know if you would like help by responding to this message.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 19, 2018

I have been a customer of Centurylink for ~4 years. I moved from an apartment to a house 3 years ago and naturally negotiated a new contract for TV and Internet service at my new location. Everything was okay for the first year aside from some initial calls to clear up spotty performance. After the contract ended they automatically moved me to a month to month plan with no notice. Now this isn't especially surprising but the price was rising every month until it was double what I started at. I called them to cancel because their service is not nearly good enough to justify $200+. They asked what price they could keep me at and I said $100. They set me up. I confirmed on the phone that this wasn't a contract and the price would stay the same for 12 months. Sounded good to me, right?

6 months later my price skyrockets to $200+ again. I immediately call to cancel. They said they couldn't discount me further, I said I didn't care I was cancelling. Then I am told that there will be a cancellation fee for the next 6 months that I am on contract for. I never agreed to a contract either on email, or over the phone, and there is no signed document from me saying I would agree to this plan. They put me on contract without permission and then somehow while I am on contract my price doubles. I told them I would not be paying them another cent and hung up. I ripped out all their equipment and will never use Centurylink again. If they want their stuff back they will wipe my account clean. One month later they sent me a bill that is $20 higher than last months. HAHA. We will see if it goes to collections where I will dispute the charges.

CenturyLink response

We are sincerely sorry to hear about the issues you’ve dealt with regarding your CenturyLink services. I would be more than happy to look into the billing for you. Please let me know if you would like assistance by responding to this message.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 18, 2018

I absolutely despise this company. When I first signed up with them it was ok, however shortly after the 2 month mark I would late charges added to my bill every single bill whether I was late or not. That is still happening and I'm told it's there just in case I'm late, except it is in the total and not in separate line item stating "if not paid by". On top of that asinine logic (of which there is plenty) I am paying for internet that I can only use when I'm at work... also asinine logic. It seems that any time after 5 pm all internet ceases in my area.

For me, that sucks since I don't have cable and am solely using internet for streaming. I am currently in an area that only has one cable provider and we had quite the falling out. I would like for CenturyLink to provide better internet services but I don't see that happening. What I can say is, as soon as I can get out of this area; I'm going to do my damndest to make sure I never have to use them again. They are nothing but a headache, that only cares about lining their pockets and not taking care of their customers.

CenturyLink response

We are sincerely sorry to hear about the issues you’ve dealt with regarding your CenturyLink services. I would be more than happy to look into the billing and internet connection. If you would like assistance, please let me know by responding to this message.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 17, 2018

Changed my internet speed from 512K to 768K without my OK after I called about internet outages. My first bill showed a new rental charge of $9.99 for the same modem I had been using for over 2 years. My internet went from $24.95 to $45.93. I spent 3 months trying to get my billing corrected, talking first to the Philippines, and then South America. They would say they can't change it but will transfer me to someone who can. Then I would get cut off. I fought this company until I had a stroke, and my Doctors warned me to stay calm and not get my blood pressure elevated. Upon leaving the hospital, I cancelled all services with CenturyLink, and got a final surprise of a $16.50 charge for cancelling my internet service. I am still fighting this and their answer so far is they will add a $16.00 late charge for each month it is not paid.

CenturyLink response

We are sincerely sorry to hear about the issues you’ve dealt with regarding the cancellation of your CenturyLink services. I would be more than happy to look into the $16.50 charge for you. Please let me know if you would like my help by responding to this message.

Original review: April 16, 2018

After months of my bill increasing due to "discounts" dropping off, I had finally made the switch to another company. I called Century Link two months in a row, asked for a disconnect 3 times, got a confirmation email and a final amount to pay. I paid it and continued to receive a bill. Called again was told I never disconnected and there is nothing that can be done about my bill. Customer service stinks and it seems no one does anything they say they will do.

CenturyLink response

We are sincerely sorry to hear about the issues you’ve dealt with regarding your CenturyLink services. I would be more than happy to assist you with closing the account, please let me know if you would like my help by responding to this message.

Original review: April 16, 2018

In November of 2017 I cancelled my account after the $15 monthly charge promised at sign up for the life of the account more than tripled. The person I spoke with did NOT cancel my account, so monthly charges have been accumulating. I have not used the service since November 2017 when I cancelled and have called to cancel. Each time I call, I get transferred multiple times to different departments (customer service department, finance department, loyalty department, extenuating circumstances department). How many departments does one company have??? And STILL no one can simply cancel my account and charges retroactive to November 2017. I should be paid for the amount of time I have spent trying to cancel this account, and it's still not cancelled!

CenturyLink response

We are sincerely sorry to hear about the issues you’ve dealt with regarding your CenturyLink services. I would be more than happy to assist you with disconnecting the account and backdating the billing to November. Please let me know if you would like my help by responding to this message.

Original review: April 16, 2018

Placed my internet order on 4/4/18. Modified it on 4/6/18 to have a new jack installed inside. I was scheduled for install on 4/9/18. On Sunday evening 4/8/18, I get a voice message that it's been re-scheduled for 4/16/18 at 8 am; no reason. Do a chat on Monday 4/9/18 to confirm the rescheduled appointment and ask that I be notified prior so I don't have to waste a day off waiting for them - they "noted the file". So I wait... Today, 4/16/18, installer comes - (no notice so just my teenage son is home), and doesn't complete the install.

Call CenturyLink immediately to have him come back - they have no way of contacting installers... Really? Agent states he didn't have a work order to come into the home - um, yep he did and I have the chat printout to prove it - well it's not on the work order. WORST experience I've ever had - incompetent people who are unable to communicate within their own company... Cannot even comprehend how ridiculous the whole process has been. Now I wait until 4/19/18. What are the chances the service is going to be good? If I had ANY other choice I would've canceled the order.

CenturyLink response

We are sincerely sorry to hear about the issues you’ve dealt with regarding your CenturyLink services. I would be more than happy to assist you with making sure the tech has the correct information on the order. If you would like assistance, please let me know by responding to this message.

Original review: April 16, 2018

I wish I could have given this company zero stars but it wasnt possible. I dont have the service. I just called to have one of their wires removed because I just moved into a house and there is a wire hanging right in the middle of my backyard which I was told was a CenturyLink wire. I called expecting a short and simple solution/ answer... not at all what happened. I was transferred around 6 or seven times and every person I talked to was rude and completely unhelpful. One technician that I talked to said I would have to pay to have it removed even though I never put it there or asked for their service. I didnt understand and the guy was really short with me and told me he would transfer me because he didnt know how much they would charge me to remove it. And before doing so he had an attitude and said, "You have a better day okkkaayy," like me being irritated at his rudeness was somehow my fault.

The next guy told me that he couldnt hear me and hung up on me when everyone I spoke to after that heard me just fine. The next guy told me that it couldnt possibly be their wire because their wires were only underground which I told him didnt make any sense seeing as how the tech told me they could tighten the hanging wire. And he said, "I'm sorry," and stayed quiet for almost a minute while I waited for some kind of direction...explanation...solution...anything. Nope just silence. I called back asking for a supervisor and finally got an explanation. It is their cable. They could hear me fine and they can send someone out at least to tighten and lift it for free. I spent an hour on the phone to finally get an explanation and solution that took five minutes. This was my very first and last experience with CenturyLink.

CenturyLink response

We are sincerely sorry to hear about the issues you’ve dealt with regarding getting the line removed. I would be more than happy to assist you with getting the line removed. Please let me know if you would like my help by responding to this message.

Original review: April 16, 2018

I had service where I lived because it was the only option. I got a new job and moved out of any Centurylink's/DirecTV's service area. I paid my final bill in May of 2017. In April of 2018 I get a notice that I'm I collections for an unpaid cancellation fee. I will never use this company again in my life, and I will tell all others who will listen to never use them. Disputing erroneous charges.

CenturyLink response

We are sincerely sorry to hear about the issues you’ve dealt with regarding your CenturyLink services. I would be more than happy to look into the collections activity for you. Please let me know if you would like my help by responding to this message.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 14, 2018

I just became a customer as CenturyLink is the only internet provider in my area. The plan I was offered was supposed to be 10 Mbps. I am fully aware it won’t always be at 10, but I have checked my speed probably 20-25 times the last two days because the internet is almost unusable. It has been at 5 Mbps once, and almost every other time it has been less than 1 Mbps. That is pathetic and useless.

CenturyLink response

We are sincerely sorry to hear about the issues you’ve dealt with regarding your CenturyLink services. I would be more than happy to look into the internet speeds for you. Please let me know if you would like my help by responding to this message.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I’m in the process of moving. So 2 weeks before my move I contacted all my service companies to set up services to be transferred to my new location on April 19th. Today I contacted CenturyLink because my internet wasn’t working. When I spoke to them they tell me my move order had been completed and services were at the new location. I explained to them that the transfer wasn’t supposed to happen until next Thursday. Long story short. I was on the phone for an hour and 15 min, spoke to 6-7 different people who couldn’t do anything to help me and kept telling me a different department would be able to assist. So I was constantly transferred. Last person I spoke to noted that I was extremely frustrated and was yelling so she disconnected with me. Yes. Hung up.

When I called back, the customer service rep explained to me that for me to transfer my services to a new location, the call should be made 2 days before the move. Why wasn’t I told this on 3/30/18??? Why can’t my services be restored tonight at my current location??? Yea. No one can answer those questions for me. I’m beyond frustrated with this company. I have a few more months till my contract ends and I’m definitely thinking of going with another internet company. I shouldn’t be having this much issue due to CenturyLink’s mistake. I won’t be recommending CenturyLink to anyone.

CenturyLink response

We are sincerely sorry to hear about the issues you’ve dealt with regarding your CenturyLink services. I would be more than happy to see if we can turn the services back on for you. If you would like our help, please let us know by responding to this message and we can get started.

Original review: April 13, 2018

The Internet is extremely slow and bandwidth very limited. They are the only provider in the area. They have a monopoly in the Kingwood area. We need choices for phone, internet, and cable services. This company has known fiber and bandwidth issues and will not inform the customer. Their charges are outrageous for the amount of service they provide.

CenturyLink response

We are sincerely sorry to hear about the issues you’ve dealt with regarding your CenturyLink services. I would be more than happy to see if there are any updates as to when faster speeds will become available. Please let me know if you would like my help by responding to this message.

Original review: April 12, 2018

We have had our service for four years and every few months our internet goes out. We call and get the run around on the phone. After asking to speak to a supervisor it is discovered that once again it’s the wires at the road but they can’t work us in 'til next week. I run a part time business from home and lose money every time my internet is down. They never compensate for the lost sales or for the time the internet is down. Technicians repeatedly say that it’s the wires. They need to rerun but never happens.

Tonight asking for the regional directors name and email I am told they don’t know that. And just a one level supervisor is the only people for me to speak to Very poor customer service. And very unprofessional addressing me by my first name. Support technicians just passing the buck and not doing anything to help. Waiting for another option to be put in and definitely switching. Should have other options in next month so all four houses on our road can switch. Not only is it an inconvenience with work but my daughter needed computer to do homework and had to drive 40 minutes to my mom's house and sit here also unable to work cause my business stuff could not be packed up. Company doesn’t seem to care about their customers

CenturyLink response

We are sincerely sorry to hear about the issues you’ve dealt with regarding your CenturyLink services. I would be more than happy to see if we can get a sooner date for the tech to come out along with issue credits for time without services. Please let me know if you would like my help by responding to this message.

Resolution response: April 12, 2018

I posted on Facebook, the same that I had
Posted here and they worked with me to find a resolution. I still feel like this could

Have been resolved with the multiple phone calls made prior. I should never have been sent to a collection agency.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I have had nothing but trouble. When I signed up for service, my name and address were wrong. Didn’t receive start up. After waiting a month, that was fixed but then it was discovered my house wasn’t wired correctly for service. I opted to return my equipment. I used the prepaid return packing slip and dropped off at UPS. I wasn’t given a tracking number as it was just dropped off.

After receiving a bill for months and calling every month being told I didn’t owe anything to ignore the bill. My bill was now sent to a collection agency. When I called to find out why, it was stated my return equipment was never received. I asked a CenturyLink agent if they could track and they said no, I asked UPS and they said only the company with the prepaid shipping can track. I will never use or recommend this company again. My credit is now tarnished and I have to decide whether it’s worth paying. I’ve never heard any good customer service encounters from anyone locally here either.

Original review: April 12, 2018

CenturyLink is the only wired internet service in my area. It's rural, and has a low population. We have had problem after problem, mostly due to the horrible lines and infrastructure here, which CenturyLink refuses to fix. Currently, we have a latency problem. A problem that should not exist. It has been FIVE months. They have done NOTHING. They blame 'high activity hours', but this has never happened before. And now the retired folks who come here over the winter are leaving, and suddenly the latency gets worse. Instead of the usual high 200 ping from 7 to 10, it is now extending from 5 to 11. Seriously, this is ridiculous. A new provider recently moved over here, and even though they offer fixed internet instead of wired, they are offering speeds up to 200mbps and upload of 33mbps. That is so much better than the crappy 20mbps down and 0.8 up we have.

The only good thing about wired internet is lower latency, but it seems like if they can't fix the only redeeming quality, then their internet service is nothing more than trash. They have sent tech repair here before, but they could never 'find' anything wrong. I've gotten several different answers to why our internet is horrid. "The modem is bad", except a tech repair said it was fine. Another said they were having server maintenance issues, only to have another correct later say they 'never had that'. Another said it was a faulty line, and a repair specialist said it wasn't. They have done nothing.

I rely on online gaming, which requires low ping. And I can't even get that. Seriously, never go with CenturyLink. It is absolute trash and has horrid customer service who never fix anything and dance around their pathetic infrastructure problems. It's a pile of throttling, disconnecting internet, and no repair or help in sight. I would say literally any other internet provider is better than CenturyLink. I think it's about time we switch since CL will continue to pretend our problems aren't real or don't matter. Horrible latency is a big deal, and affects everything, not to mention constantly getting less the half our speed. Take my words seriously. Never, ever use CenturyLink.

CenturyLink response

We are sincerely sorry to hear about the issues you’ve dealt with regarding your CenturyLink services. I would be more than happy to look into the cause of the latency problems and would be happy to assist in resolving this issue. Please let me know if you would like assistance by responding to this message.

Original review: April 11, 2018

CenturyLink has got to be the most horrible internet or (lack thereof) provider. Customer service does nothing but apologize for everything but nothing ever changes. They make appointments, service people don't show up and don't call. People take time off of work to be home for scheduled appointments and CenturyLink could care less. You call to find out where the tech is, dispatch tries to contact them but the techs don't respond.

The reason CenturyLink doesn't care in our area is because they are the only provider so they don't have to care. We have no other options. But eventually there will be competition and everyone should bail CenturyLink. Everyone I have talked to has multiple complaints. It seems there ought to be some action that could be taken. IT IS JUST INCREDIBLY INFURIATING!!! I HATE DEALING WITH CENTURYLINK WITH A PASSION! It makes me sick just to think I have to deal with them every time there is an issue. If you have any other internet options... take them!

CenturyLink response

We are sincerely sorry to hear about the issues you’ve dealt with regarding your CenturyLink services. I would be more than happy to assist you with getting a tech to come out, I can completely understand how frustrating it would be to have multiple missed appointments. Please let me know if you would like assistance by responding to this message.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I have been a loyal paying customer of CenturyLink well over 20 years. After finding erroneous/fraudulent charges on my account this past year, it's like pulling hen's teeth to even get a live able body on the phone to discuss. After speaking with over 6 employees each telling me a different story of what I needed to do. I was being charged $3.99/$4.99 directory assistance charges which no one in my home had made totaling over $50.00. I was also being charged .10 for EVERY LOCAL call and was told by one person it was because it was "extended local". What that? I was transferred again and I asked, "Well what's my radius then that I can call for free." Then, I was told well actually I shouldn't be charged for that and maybe my lines were crossed?? I was transferred numerous times and then "got disconnected."

This is just the skinny of the experience. I didn't event mention the tech that was supposed to come out for something else and never showed up, TWICE, without a phone call to let us know. Calling back is a nightmare to get back to a department that someone knows what they are talking about. It was a painful hour on the phone trying to get this resolved with ZERO resolution. I have never written a negative review ever, but felt that this customer "service" is the most horrible I have ever experienced. I will be dropping the service.

CenturyLink response

We are sincerely sorry to hear about the issues you’ve dealt with regarding your CenturyLink services.I would be more than happy to look into the charges for Directory Assistance and look into what is causing the charges to be billed. Please let me know if you would like assistance by responding to this message.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I upgraded from 10 MBPS to 25 MBPS back in Aug. 2017 (went from $30 to $40 month) but unfortunately due to one thing after another I AM ONLY RECEIVING 10 or way less MBPS (i.e. Incorrectly advised my current modem that I was receiving 10 MBPS would work with the new 25 MBPS service would work, hub lines issues, and as of Mar. 2018- "Node" issue that's causing a slow down being repaired and DUE TO BE COMPLETED 3/31/18). As of today, 4/11/18, I'm still ONLY RECEIVING 10 or less MBPS. I've been with CenturyLink for going on 20 years (back before it was CenturyLink here in Las Vegas; formerly was Embarq). I could not in good conscience recommend CenturyLink to anyone and ready to look at their competitors for internet service.

CenturyLink response

We are sincerely sorry to hear about the issues you’ve dealt with regarding your CenturyLink services. I would be more than happy to look into why you're only receiving 10 MBPS. If you would like our help, please let us know by responding to this message.

Original review: April 11, 2018

My experience with CenturyLink as a midsize business has been undesirable to say the least. The lack of response and horrible call center experiences where I have spent hours on the phone being transferred 16 plus times at one point, 3 times last week to be hung up on directly and asked why I called her... I didn’t, I was transferred. My voice is not heard or even acknowledge when I call my Account Manager for weeks on end. My entire office dreads having to call for help. I have request an account manager change dozen of times to feel again like I am not heard and disregarded as my business relationship is insignificant. My AM had the audacity when I informed her I was requesting a new AM when I asked whom did I need to speak to... her reply, "Your request is denied by my supervisor. You can call Glenn Post but I doubt the CEO will speak with you!" She then hung up on me???

Now on the other hand, my field techs are responsive, reliable, and worthy of accommodations for their customer service. I only wish the inside sales team and customer service casted as deeply for their consumers. It’s simple really, customer service is acknowledging your customer, listening to them, and trying to do as much as you can within reason for them. Wake Up CenturyLink please... hire someone to change your corporate culture and grow your business.

CenturyLink response

We are sincerely sorry to hear about the issues you’ve dealt with regarding your CenturyLink services. I would be more than happy to see how we can go about getting a new account manager. Please let us know if you would like our help by responding to our message.

Original review: April 10, 2018

Scheduled a hook up. Took over a month. Then the tech didn't show up at all on the preset date. Had to take an entire day off work, without pay, to accommodate them. Internet does not work properly and phone is so bad you get a headache thinking about using it. Customer care is worthless in helping to resolve any issues. Have in writing for full credit. They refuse to stand by that and service still does not work.

CenturyLink response

We are sincerely sorry to hear about the issues you’ve dealt with regarding your CenturyLink services. I would be happy to look into the internet connection for you and see if I can locate the credit. If you would like assistance, please let us know by responding to this message.

Original review: April 10, 2018

As a long term customer of CenturyLink DSL service I have finally took the time to make a formal complaint and cancel my service after more than 10 years with this company. I live 2 miles outside of town and CenturyLink kept promising they would update the hardware to provide a faster service for me. I was unable to maintain a 1-1.5 Mbps service that was billed as a 5 Mbps service. Finally after being out of service for a week a technician came to my house and worked on the wiring and replaced the modem/router. He commented a technician should have been out to my residence a lot sooner. After his work the system first registered 3 Mbps. I told him it was sad that I could not get better service?

I called into CenturyLink to talk with customer service and they offered to give me credit for the outage. I cancelled my service and they reported they would not give credit until the equipment was returned. I returned the equipment and a week later there still was no credit shown on my account. I asked for a contact person to complain to with the company but they would not give me a name. Finally they told me to contact Jeffery ** with customer service, but could not give me his email address or telephone number due to security issues? Please do not consider sending this company your hard earned money for any of their products. I do not believe they will get my billing account the credits they have promised. I will try to find out how to contact Mr. Jeffery ** using the internet service to complain about the service issues. Looks like I am not alone with problems with this company.

CenturyLink response

We are sincerely sorry to hear about the issues you’ve dealt with regarding your CenturyLink services. I would be more than happy to see if I can locate the credit. If you would like assistance, please let us know by responding to this message.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I have had internet provided by CenturyLink several times in the last decade and have had few complaints, so when they offered a price-for-life deal called CenturyLink Simple I was excited to learn more. I used their online chat feature to ask some questions and sign up for service, and this was the first time I was lied to. I asked specifically if the CenturyLink modem that I already owned from a previous stint would work with the service. The salesperson asked for the exact model and took the time to look it up before telling me it would work. It was not until the very end of the installation I had already paid for by this point that the installation technician told me I would need a new modem. Apparently CenturyLink Simple is fiber optic, not DSL. How did the person selling the service not have an understanding of this difference? I would come to learn that this was the crux of the problem. It is almost as though CenturyLink Simple is a different company.

When I tried to use Centurylink's chat feature again to ask about the modem, I was told that CenturyLink can't even access my account and I would need to call a phone number to talk about it. This phone number had a half hour hold time. I was then told I needed to buy a new modem, without any recognition of my having been mislead about the modem, and when I said I was dissatisfied I was given a website that he said would get me to someone in the corporate office. I discovered this was merely the general contact info page for CenturyLink. Having been annoyed by the several hours I had wasted while being ignored and lied to again, I emailed the CenturyLink customer help email.

Two days later I was told again that this customer support can not help with CenturyLink Simple. How is this possible? I refuse to spend hours on hold because of the ignorance and terrible coordination within this company. At this point I have not even been given an account number that will let me log into my account online (if that is even a feature they include). At this point, I have been shunted around and lied to repeatedly while still being no closer to having a resolution. CenturyLink might be a fine company but do NOT be suckered into falling for their fiber optic division. You will regret it.

CenturyLink response

We are sincerely sorry to hear about the issues you’ve dealt with regarding your CenturyLink services. I would be more than happy to assist you with getting a new modem. If you would like assistance, please let us know by responding to this message.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I cancel my account with CenturyLink and send back their brand new - broken equipment. They debit my bank account every month, next thing I know they send me to a collection agency and said that I owe them $186 when my monthly bill was only $50 and I was current every month. I called 4 times just for them to send me an email with the label to send them back their broken equipment. No wonder why they close every office in GA. I called Century and because my account is a collection agency, there nothing they can do, but send an email to dispute the charges with the collection agency.

CenturyLink response

We are sincerely sorry to hear about the issues you’ve dealt with regarding your CenturyLink services. I would be more than happy to look into the collections activity further for you. If you would like our help, please let us know by responding to this message.

Original review: April 9, 2018

Called CenturyLink to cancel my services and they stated I was under contract. FALSE. I am not under contract! They could not give me any proof of the contract except the date they talked to me. That was the day I called to complain and they stated they would send me a $20 gift card for my troubles (WHICH THEY NEVER DID). I have never agreed to any contract with them. I have had CenturyLink for over 10 YEARS and I have hated every year! The only reason I stayed with them was because I was in a CenturyLink only building. Where they did not allow other service providers. Do yourself a favor and cancel your services with CenturyLink before they SCREW YOU TOO!

CenturyLink response

We recently started monitoring the reviews on Consumer Affairs and I would be more than happy to look into the account to see if I can locate the contract.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 6, 2018

Made me miss work twice to set up my service and they never came and when I called customer service they couldn't find the technician. Very dissatisfied. I wouldn't recommend it to no one and not only that but I must of talked to 20 customer service reps and equaled to about 8 hours of talk and waiting time...so let's just say it wasn't worth the headache.

CenturyLink response

I am sorry to hear that you have spoken with so many agents and that we missed your appointment. I would be more than happy to assist you in resolving this.

CenturyLink expert review by ConsumerAffairs

CenturyLink was founded 1968 and is now the third largest DSL provider in the United States. The company provides Internet, television, home security and home phone services. It also partners with Verizon to offer cell phone service. Customers receive discounts for subscribing to multiple CenturyLink services.

• International plans: CenturyLink offers reduced rates for calling select countries in Central and South America. They also have plans for other international call and plans specifically for calling Canada.

• Extra features: Consumers can choose a plan with a wide variety of features, including call forwarding, caller ID, three-way calling, voicemail and more.

• Refer-a-friend: CenturyLink’s refer-a-friend program rewards consumers when someone signs up for a new service using an existing customer’s referral link. If the new customer remains with the company for two months, both parties receive a gift card worth up to $75, depending on the type of service the new customer selects.

• Online support: The Guidance Center section of CenturyLink’s website has tools to help customers with questions or problems. If customers can’t solve the problem on their own, they can easily make a service call request from the same page on the website.

• Best for: CenturyLink is best for consumers who want to bundle multiple services.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs