formerly Qwest

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.98/5
Based on 2,851 ratings submitted in the last year

CenturyLink Reviews

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

No phone service at restaurant during busiest holiday season. Reported on Mon. And no repair available until Fri. Took 24 hrs. To get call forwarding completed to my cell phone correctly! Tony **, repair person, and another tech finally arrived, they worked a couple of hours to untangle the rats nest in the dry rotted phone box outside our building. Built rest. In 1997 and problems throughout 22 years. Fixed w/bandaids but Tony took time and fingers crossed fixed problem long term this time. It was almost worth the 5 day wait if it holds!

CenturyLink response

Hello Elizabeth. I am sorry about how long it took to get your service repaired but I am glad to hear that Tony and crew got it fixed for you. If you do need assistance please feel free to reach out to us here or any of the below contact options.

Facebook - www.facebook.com/CenturyLink/
        Twitter - twitter.com/CenturyLinkHelp

Contact Us - www.centurylink.com/home/help/contact.html

Original review: Nov. 29, 2019

I had someone come a few weeks ago to repair my wi-fi because I could not get any of my devices to work after the electricity went off. It was repaired and the internet and Alexa dot worked fine. I found out later that I could not connect my printer, doorbell, or nook to the wi-fi. I called and talked with Ralph today and he had it fixed in a few minutes. He was so helpful and nice. I was very pleased. I just don't know where I can fill out an evaluation on his work, so I decided I would write a review.

CenturyLink response

Hello J. thank you for taking the time to post feedback on your experience with Ralph - we'd be happy to pass along your commendation, just reach out to us here for further help.

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

I'm old. My house is old??? Tech couldn't find any of the land lines into my house that would work for my internet so he plugged it in next door. Works fine with a booster in my house...my old house. But isn't there anyway my box can come home? I have no cable or landline because I'm old...really old. And no $$$$. Bad enough I have to share my dinner with my old dog. Because we're old...really old. And have no $$$$.

CenturyLink response

Hello, Carin. That's certainly unusual and I'm sorry that this happened. Let me see what I can find out and what we can do to get the equipment set up properly. Send us a message on here and I can get started.

Original review: July 26, 2019

Dan from CenturyLink came out to our home today and he installed our new internet and cleaned up outside previous cables from other companies at no charge. He was thorough, professional, patient and very receptive to questions. Highly recommend him for your installation. 5 stars!

CenturyLink response

Hello Matthew, we're so glad to hear that you had a great experience with one of our techs - this is definitely the type of work ethic we want to encourage, so thank you for taking the time to provide us with the feedback. If anything crops up in the future, and you have questions or concerns, then please send us a message here, and we'll be happy to help.

Original review: March 17, 2019

I have had this internet for 12 years now. They are very reliable. I stream all of my content through Roku and it has never failed me. I have lost my internet only 5 times in 12 years. I have the middle speed and it fine for my family of 4.

CenturyLink response

We are so happy to hear that your experience with us thus far as been positive! We do still want to let you know there is an outlet here, that should you need help or have any questions for us, you're able to use to get the assistance you need. Thank you for your review and we hope you have a great rest of your week!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CenturyLink?

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

I am in the Army. My wife and I move around whenever we can, as we are required to. I was recently stationed in AZ for recruiting duty for three years. We have dealt with a lot of different internet, cable and cell phone services. CenturyLink has been one of the worst internet providers, if not the worst and this is why. We lived in an apartment for the first year where we first got Century. After one year, we moved to a different apartment, 5 miles down the road. They said they didn't service our new place so they recommend to cancel our service but that they would look further into servicing our new residence.

A day later, they stated they could service it. BUT since we canceled our plan like they recommend, we had to redo our account because there was nothing they could do and could not access our previous account info. Also, the monthly fees went up, with less service. We bought their modem last year since we thought we would be with them for 3 years but since we started over they HAD to mail us another one per protocol for new users. We will have to mail it back to be refunded for the modem, even though we won't even open it and they don't need it to start service.

A week and half later the tech guy came out and said there is nothing they could do for us and to switch services. On top of it all, we had to prepay for the month of January despite paying for the month when we were told to cancel services and that unfortunately we had to forfeit the month. We were on the phone throughout the day to cancel, again, for them to say their system is down and that they have no resources to leave a note, like pen and paper, to call us back when it was back up and running.

We have tried throughout the day and nothing. They prefer you to talk to someone via texting or online chatting, but you are redirected so many times to have to keep stating everything you previously had. So not only are you frustrated, you must explain it at least another three times to get nowhere. You will also never get the same representative and each will provide you with a different answer. This has been a complete waste of time, money, and zero help with unnecessary redundancy. If you do decide to go with them, you should probably just do the opposite of what they tell you to and don't trust them. They are quick to react but are not proactive.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

I have auto simple pay that Century Link charge. Sometimes they charged my card on weekend and that will automatically send me an email indicate "payment failed". That has caused inconvenience sometimes as I really need that Wi-Fi but because it's weekend, I couldn't reach anyone. If it happened one more time, I am ready to switch.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

Internet outage almost daily, sometimes several times a day. Customer service very unprofessional, had to call every month about our bill for 4 month. Speed very slow, selling up to 40 mbps and it's never over 30. Speed is inconsistent. Jumps from 23 to 5 in seconds, horrible when trying to watch movie online. We were told it's because wires in the house and just rewired house with cat5e with straight line to the modem and no difference. If you can stay away, but if no other choice be ready to get mad about service daily. :)

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
          Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

Our internet speed averages 1-2 Mbit and yet we are paying $50 a month for it. I home office, so that is completely unacceptable. We have called them many times and we average 1-2 hours, 3 forwards to other people, and being hung up on at least twice per attempt. It is nearly impossible to actually talk to a real person, let alone a supervisor. Even after creating three "service" tickets, they say none has ever been created. Customer service people are often rude or non-responsive. I can't understand such incompetence.

CenturyLink response

Hello Sherri we understand the frustration of slower speeds, and would like to offer our assistance with any account or service concerns you may have. Just let us know if you'd like our help by responding to us here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
          Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

I had service for a year. I notified them to discontinue service. Charged me for an extra month, refused to return my deposit (account in good standing, no late payment). I returned the modem via UPS and they claim that it was never returned. Wanting to charge me $150.

CenturyLink response

Hello Bryan. We are sorry to hear about your poor experience with our service. We would be happy to assist you, and address any questions or concerns you may have. Please let us know if you'd like our help by reaching out to us here.

Not sure about CenturyLink?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Internet Service Provider for you.

CenturyLink expert review by ConsumerAffairs

CenturyLink was founded 1968 and is now the third largest DSL provider in the United States. The company provides Internet, television, home security and home phone services. It also partners with Verizon to offer cell phone service. Customers receive discounts for subscribing to multiple CenturyLink services.

• International plans: CenturyLink offers reduced rates for calling select countries in Central and South America. They also have plans for other international call and plans specifically for calling Canada.

• Extra features: Consumers can choose a plan with a wide variety of features, including call forwarding, caller ID, three-way calling, voicemail and more.

• Refer-a-friend: CenturyLink’s refer-a-friend program rewards consumers when someone signs up for a new service using an existing customer’s referral link. If the new customer remains with the company for two months, both parties receive a gift card worth up to $75, depending on the type of service the new customer selects.

• Online support: The Guidance Center section of CenturyLink’s website has tools to help customers with questions or problems. If customers can’t solve the problem on their own, they can easily make a service call request from the same page on the website.

• Best for: CenturyLink is best for consumers who want to bundle multiple services.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team