1.20/5
Based on 587 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

formerly Qwest

4072 CenturyLink Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

Before you think it's a better price. When I signed up for a business account they told me my area would get over 80mgb. After they installed it the max was 1.5mgb. How is anyone suppose to run a business of off 1.5mgbs. I called them for a refund and to cancel the services. After being on hold for fifty minutes and after being transferred to different departments I finally got ahold of a person who didn't seem to care. I asked to end my deal with them. Come to find out they are still charging my account... Crooks. If it looks cheaper than the other guy, it's because CenturyLink sucks.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

Used the online chat tool to question the download speeds I was receiving for my home internet. I pay for 40 mbps, and test averaged in the mid-teens. Some as high as 29, others as low as 3.3. The online chat representative informed me that I needed to turn off all wifi devices and plug in my computer directly to the modem for an accurate test. Followed his instructions and the test still revealed a 9.9 mbps. Long story short, he informed me he shows I am receiving higher speeds, 43 mbps, than I was paying for and there was nothing he can do for me. Tried numerous 3rd party tests, all plugged in with no other devices on wifi, never received more than a 30. Terrible service, terrible but no other options in my area. Stuck with **.

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

My mother passed away on April 30th, and we sold the house and moved my father to a small apartment. Service was canceled on June 15 after repeated calls and long holds. I was assured that service was disconnected and received an email to that effect on June 28. Today, Aug 18th, I received a bill via email for $119 for service through Aug 9th. I tried to resolve this with an online agent who cannot cancel service, but said I need to contact customer service AGAIN to resolve the issues. All equipment was returned in June. So there should be no question that there is no service.

CenturyLink response

Hello Cathy- we are sorry for your loss, and that during these trying times you have not been able to get the customer service that you need to get the account closed and billing resolved. We'd like to look into this for you, and answer any questions you may have about the account. Please respond here to get started.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

What should have been a simple transfer process of WiFi from one apartment to another in the same building is proving too difficult for CenturyLink. No word of any reason the transfer should not happen... just a false promise that it would be taken care of; several days ago at this point. :-/ The image included represents what the chat help guy was most interested in. Guess I should’ve said yes and maybe they would’ve followed through with transferring my WiFi? Guess it’s time to give Xfinity a chance for my business?

CenturyLink response

Hello Elizabeth, we're sorry to hear that you're having trouble getting your services transferred, as well as getting the necessary help. We'd love to look into this for you in order to get the transfer issue resolved. Please let us know if you'd like the help by responding here- we look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

Numerous times over a 5 year period that my internet was out. Many times I had to go back to the office after hours to complete work. I finally told them to disconnect me and I got a different service. They continued billing me for 2 more months and I refused to pay so they turned me into a collection agency. CenturyLink is a scumbag company. They totally ignored me trying to resolve this by phone and the letter posted below:

"Dear Sirs: You have been impossible to deal with on the phone. I have been disconnected 4 times trying to resolve this matter. I put up with terrible service with you for 5 years with it consistently getting worse. The last time on Feb. 28, 2017 after the technician left it stopped working within 30 minutes and the tech would not come back and I was told it would the following Monday before a technician would come fix it. I told you at this time to disconnect me because I was finished with your incapability to serve me. I had told you earlier in February I would not pay my bill until it worked without interruptions for 30 days.

I spent numerous hours on the phone with you and waiting for technicians to arrive over the 5 years to repair my service. I paid you for 24 hour 7 days a week service which I never received. I sent you a bill for $935.00 for you wasting my time trying to restore your service over a period of 5 years. You did not disconnect my service at the time I requested but ignored me and keep charging me which I will not pay for. I am going to pay for the last month of DirecTV which is $112.02. I expect you to pay me a sum of $935.00 as billed to you prior. When I receive a check from you I will consider this matter closed."

CenturyLink response

Hello Kenneth, we have been monitoring our reviews here on Consumer Affairs for a while now, and we are sad to see that you had a negative experience with us trying to get working service and then your account closed. We'd love to look into this for you- just send us a response here, and we'll get started. We look forward to hearing from you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CenturyLink?

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

A road construction crew broke CenturyLink's line on our road. A CenturyLink crew came out and said they repaired it. But five days later we still don’t have phone or internet. We have called three times now and just get the runaround.

CenturyLink response

Hello, we are sorry to hear that you're without service at this time, and would like to work with you in order to reach a resolution. Please let us know if you'd like the assistance by responding here, and we'll be glad to help. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

My wife and I have been CenturyLink customers for over 2 years. When we originally signed up for internet service with them we were given a great deal. However, at the end of our 12-month contract the deal expired and we wanted to cancel. They told us we could not cancel and that we were now locked into a 24-month contract that would cost $240 to break. Our bill shot up from $25 a month to $80 a month. Every time we tried to cancel they kept telling us we were in a contract even though we never agreed to one.

After 5 months, I finally received confirmation from a customer service representative that we have not been under contract since February of 2018. I asked to have this resolved by a supervisor. I spent 30 minutes on the phone thinking I was being transferred to a supervisor, when I was, in fact, transferred to an out-of-service phone number. Now I have to start this process all over again. This practice is clearly deception and may violate consumer protection regulations.

CenturyLink response

Hello Chase - we can imagine that was an incredibly frustrating experience. We'd like to resolve this for you and review the billing, but would need you to respond here first in order to get started. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

DJ of Wisconsin. I have my internet through Centurylink and I stream Hulu for my tv. My home zip code is 53960 which is close to Madison WI. My problem is my IP address comes up with a zip code of 53946 which is in the Milwaukee tv market so I cannot get Madison local channels. Hulu uses the IP location to determine the market. CenturyLink won't change the IP address. So far the speed has been fine. However I spent 2.5 hours on the phone with them yesterday trying to get them to change the IP address and they say no not their problem, I started with Customer Care they sent me to Tech Service and after 2 hours (on hold most of the time) with them they sent me back to customer care and she told me can't do anything about it, maybe I should get DirecTV.

CenturyLink response

Hello David- we're sorry to see that you have not received the proper assistance to get this issue resolved. We'd love to look into this for you, if you could please respond here to let us know that you'd like the help, then we'll take it from there.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

This is the worst company ever. Please read all reviews and listen to what people are telling you about this company. It's a reason why they're a one star. Wish I would've read all reviews before getting this service. The tech did not call before arriving. He arrived at 6:30 pm but suppose to been here from 4 pm to 6 pm. He left several times during the process. Didn't get the job done until 9 pm. My internet still doesn't work! I called customer support serval times, all were ruled. I ask to speak to the manager and he also had a bad attitude. People do not use this service!! BS.

CenturyLink response

Hello Zhi, that sounds like a very frustrating experience, and we'd love to remedy this for you. Please let us know if you'd like the help by responding here, and we'll be glad to take over and get started addressing these issues. We look forward to hearing from you.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I've never seen such confusing bills! I have home and internet bundled. The bottom line goes up and down every month. To find out why, I must go thru 5 pages of line items with about half changing from month to month. My bill should be down by $4.87, but it is not. Instead, they charged me for Directory Assistance which I never use. They slammed me hoping I would not notice. After 15 minutes with rep, he said they decided to reverse the charge. Always check your bill. I thought I had rejected all third party charges. Deceitful!

CenturyLink response

Hello Eve, we are sorry to see that you're having trouble with your billing, and getting this resolved properly. We'd be happy to look into these concerns for you; please let us know if you'd like the assistance by responding here. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Internet has not worked for weeks and phone has loud buzzing noise in background. Called to terminate service numerous times. Every time, kept being transferred to another person because the person on the line said they are not authorized to close an account. One time after being transferred to several people and speaking to another person that was not authorized to close my account, they asked me for my contact number so that if we were disconnected they would call me back.

After giving me my contact number, I was disconnected. I am still waiting for someone to call me back. Went to their website and found through customer relations their "Unresolved Issue - Email Us" website. Sent message about not being able to terminate service and received a reply email saying someone will contact me in 24 hours... Still have not hear anything from Century Link after two days. My strategy now is to stop paying bill until they figure out that I am no longer paying and they automatically terminate the service. It will screw up my credit, but it will be easier to repair my credit than to deal with CenturyLink. I can't light no more of your darkness, I'm letting the sun go down on Century Link. Good Riddance.

CenturyLink response

Hello James, we are sorry to hear that your non-working service has led you to request the cancellation of your service. We'd be happy to look into closing your account for you, or answering any other questions you may have- just respond here and we'll take it from there.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I have spent a frustrating 3 weeks waiting for a move order to be completed. Wouldn't be an issue except for my need to do Skype conference calls for work and the fact that without my AT&T M-cell tower I have cell signal in a tiny area of the property. Been given every excuse in the book as to why the technician hasn't arrived to complete the install. The "phone help" does a great job at making you feel something has been done but nothing ever changes. Frustrating company.

CenturyLink response

Hello Thomas- we are sorry to hear that you are still without internet. We'd be happy to look into this concern for you, in order to find a resolution and get your services activated. If you could please respond here, and let us know that you'd like the assistance, then we will take it from there. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

If I could give this company a negative 25 stars, I would! I NEVER write complaints but am so frustrated with the idiotic level of service I have gotten with this company at all ends of the spectrum, I have no one else to turn to. My internet went down one month ago (July 13th), I have repeatedly called since then to get it fixed only to be put on hold for literally countless hours, then to be hung up on. My last straw was today, I asked to have a new modem sent...guess what? My modem's warranty was expired on August 3, but I've called in for the last month with this issue prior to August 3...got hung up on, called back, explained the WHOLE situation again, transferred 5 times only to be hung up on again!

I just want my one month refund and my new modem so my internet works. The whole MONOPOLY of Centurylink is like dealing with a bunch of untrained idiots reading from a script. The moment a new provider comes to our area, I'm out (along with a good share of my 1800 other acquaintances in the town)... Train your help Centurylink...and do right by your customers, I shouldn't have to pay for something I never received. And fix my stuff!!!

CenturyLink response

Hello Carmen, we are sorry to see that you had trouble getting your services repaired and the proper assistance necessary to get that modem sent out. We'd love to look into this concern for you; just let us know if you'd like the help by responding here. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I've had CenturyLink internet for years. It's always been slow and expensive. I've had to upgrade my modem twice before and now I'm told I have to pay for another modem to upgrade this one that's only two years old. I bundle my phone, internet and DirecTV through CenturyLink. DirecTV had me upgrade to the Genie 2 last week. I was able to upload programs through my previous Wi-Fi connection but the new Genie 2 connects but won't upload on the internet. I've had technicians in the house twice but they can't make the system work. DirecTV says it's the modem or router. CenturyLink says they want to sell me a new router. It's only two years old. All I do is talk to a technician in the Philippines about the problem and he says I must need a new router.

When I ask to speak to a supervisor I'm put on hold until I give up and write this review on my PC. At this point I don't need a phone or internet from CenturyLink. I'm going to switch back to cable and cancel all of the CenturyLink and DirecTV accounts since they can't make them work. It's very frustrating talking to someone in the Philippines who doesn't speak very good English and can't help with anything other than what comes up on his computer screen. It's time to get rid of this poorly run company and let everyone I know how terrible the customer service is with CenturyLink. Good riddance to a lousy company (that used to be great).

CenturyLink response

Hello Mark, we're sorry to hear you're having trouble getting the necessary internet speeds in order to run your DirecTv service. We'd love to look into this concern for you and see if we can work out some solution in order to get everything up and running. Just let us know if you'd like the help by responding here.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

I want to start by saying that the people I have talked to on the phone have been very friendly. However it seems that that is as far as their skill set extends. I am a long time customer with CenturyLink. However, for the last few years, it is because I have no other choice. They are the only provider in my area and I don't get a strong enough cell signal to switch to a wifi hotspot and cell phone service.

The trouble started when they offered to move me from 3Mbps to 6Mbps at no extra charge. That sounded great. The minute they did the switch, my phone line became riddled with static and almost unusable. I contacted customer service and the service tech arrived within a reasonable amount of days. They said the problem was in the house. I had worked as a sub-contractor for Time-Warner and had the skills, equipment and know how to install a phone line so I did just that. I confirmed that the line had static at the NID. I disconnected all other lines in the house and ran a single new line to the location of the modem just so I could tell them with confidence that it wasn't an inside problem.

The second trip out, the tech swapped out our old modem for a newer model and told us that was the issue. Still no joy. I asked customer service several times to check their new connection at their panel. After several weeks of horrible phone service, they finally checked their own equipment and found out they had a bad board. After they fixed that, service went back to normal.

Since then, it has been a long, extremely trying relationship. From billing issues to issues with returned/ exchanged equipment. We suffered a lightning strike about a year ago now and lost the modem. I went through a month or more of being told several times the replacement modem would arrive in two business days, only to finally find out that the modem was discontinued and couldn't be shipped. The order also seemed to disappear a few times. During this time I was forced to purchase a modem of my own. I got it working and was able to use the internet again. Finally, the replacement modem shows up, but it has the wrong power cord with it. I took it to the closest CL storefront (which is over an hour away) to get the correct cord and to return the fried modem. I thought all was finally back to good. Once again, no joy.

The modem wasn't returned properly. After several months went by, I noticed that I was getting billed for two modems. I was forced to go back to the store to get this corrected. Luckily, I had my receipt. I was happy to see a credit for the double billings. The bill I was receiving kept creeping up. I had noticed that somehow, the monthly charge for in home service had been slipped back into the confusing mess that their statement is. I had refused this charge from the beginning since I only had the one phone connection and could repair that myself. I had that removed and decided that since the modem bought was working just fine, I didn't need to keep paying a rental fee to CL.

Returning the modem was a huge hassle. I returned the modem I had to the storefront and got a receipt. (This turned out to be the last time I could talk to someone in person since that storefront was closed soon after.) The returns didn't work for some reason. I was billed for a piece of equipment I didn't have and was told I didn't return and was still getting charged a rental fee for the second modem. I did finally get this worked out, but not until several attempts were made and copies of receipts were sent in (email and fax). The worst of which was during a chat session where after explaining my billing issues, they answered with a sales pitch for their price for life program.

I am now experiencing line troubles after yet another storm. The first week, I could have a static filled phone line or DSL service, but not both at the same time. The tech "fixed" the problem by removing the repair the tech of almost a year ago put in place. I was out of town for a week, during which we had another heavy rainstorm which toppled several trees in the area and knocked out our power for almost 12 hours, and now I don't have a dial tone at all. This was tested with a phone that is known to be working on the port at the back of the house. I entered a service request Saturday evening and was given an AMAZING window of ONE WEEK! No specific day, just a "We'll be there before Friday at 5 pm." I truly hope they take the time trace the problem to the source this time.

I am stuck with CenturyLink for communications service right now. At least their new plan doesn't have the "loyalty" discounts. Why should I be the one to have to ask for a discount for being a long time "loyal" customer in good standing. However, a competitor is moving into my neighborhood. It may be a year or two more before they reach my street, but I will be switching just as soon as I am able if CenturyLink can't get it together. Good luck CenturyLink.

CenturyLink response

Hello Joe, this does sound like a very frustrating situation with your billing and the issue of getting the proper modem in order to run your service. We'd love to look into this for you, and if you'd like the assistance, please let us know by responding here. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

No internet. Have had CenturyLink since we moved here almost four years ago and had good service until now. Our service went out about ten days ago. Called repair and got someone that spoke very limited English and would not send a repair person. Called back and asked for someone in the States, was put on hold for 45 min and then a English speaker told me the next available appointment was 10 days away. What kind of service is this? We don't make you wait for us to pay our bill. If we can find something else we will. This is not acceptable.

CenturyLink response

Hello Jay, we apologize about the delay in getting your service repaired, and we completely understand your frustration. We are grateful for your loyalty, and we'd be glad to see if we can expedite your repair ticket. If you'd like our help, please let us know by responding to this message and we can get started.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

We have had Centurylink since they were CenturyTel, more than 10 years. We live in a rural area and have not dropped them primarily because we want the phone service. However, the internet we receive is completely unreliable. When it rains even a little, service goes bad. Often during any given day, the speed wavers from less than 1/10 of a Meg per second up to what we pay for, which is 1.5 Meg per second. When we call, they insist on strenuously explaining to us EVERY SINGLE TIME, that the plan we pay for is only 1.5mps.

We walk through all the solutions -- how things are connected, etc. They give us a different excuse every time - it's the devices, it's the modem, it's the connection. We purchased a better modem which worked better, but then when the system throttles down again they tell us it must be the unsupported modem so we have to switch back and pay them another $11 a month for a crappy modem.

The last thing really takes the cake. We pay $10 a month extra for their "service" which is supposed to provide us with checks of the system inside our home. After calling and begging multiple times, they finally agree to send someone out. We take off work for an entire day to be here, but no one shows up. When we call and ask why, they tell us they came out but nothing was found.

The first CSR tells my husband that they came and didn't find anything so they left. When he pressed, a different CSR said that if they check from the outside and find nothing wrong, they don't go to the door. Yet another said they did go to the door and spoke to someone but they don't know who. When I called, the CSR (extremely condescendingly) told me the technician came to our door and spoke to "the customer" who told them they did not call in a ticket and there is nothing wrong with their internet. Why on earth, after begging and pleading for someone to come out, would we tell them there was nothing wrong and we don't know why they came???

Needless to say, I asked for a supervisor, at which time she hung up on me. As they usually do. They provide us our phone, so they know our phone number - plus the fact that their automated system and every person you speak to asks for phone number and social security number at least twice in every conversation. But they never call back or apologize for hanging up. CenturyLink service is so terrible that it borders on the ludicrous. We're trapped into this rinky-dink slow internet, that works only about 70% of the time, until someone (anyone, please) runs fiber down our 1-mile country road, or until we pay another $100 a month for satellite internet. Which will also go out when it rains, right? So much for living in 2018...

CenturyLink response

Hello Nancy, we can certainly understand the frustration of an ongoing intermittent connection, and we apologize that you were hung up on; that is not the kind of service we want to be providing. We'd like to investigate this matter to see what action can be taken to better meet your service needs. If you'd like our help, please let us know by responding to this message and we can get started.

Resolution response: Aug. 13, 2018

After losing patience and contacting the complaints department at Century Link, and also posting a complaint here on Consumer Affairs, Century Link finally took effective action and straightened out my account. The fact that it was made an interminable ordeal has really taken the shine off the company for me. Bottom line though, I've never had better internet, and therefore give CL an overall 3.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

This is not a complaint regarding the Internet. CenturyLink (CL) internet is the best. When I moved about three months ago, I called CL and a young lady arranged with me to transfer my account over to my new address. She related some confusion over managing the necessary phone number change but eventually said my name would no longer be associated with the old address, but there might be a final bill. Subsequently, I've been getting bills from my old address, my name on the website is associated with three phone numbers only one of which is actually mine, and according to a CL rep, the person now living at the old address has somehow become associated with my acct!

She mentioned his name and wanted to know if we were friends or something. I've tried solving these problems online numerous times with and without assistance (never got beyond attempted address changes which all failed), and that's when the lies started. Multiple times I was told that the problem had been corrected, only to find it had not. Today, some three months later, I got another bill forwarded to me for an account I have no real association with in any way. So I spent a frustrating hour on the phone with CL reps who passed me around, lied and hung up on me. There is no customer complaint or quality control phone number but was able to email the issue to them. If or when the mess is cleaned up I may come back here and update the review.

CenturyLink response

Hello Thomas- that sounds like a frustrating situation; we understand that you've put time and effort into getting this resolved on your end, and would like to offer help on our end. If you'd like us to look into this for you, please let us know by responding here. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

Internet keeps going down. We contact the idiots. They say they will send a tech out between 4-8 p.m. We explained we work an hour away and need them to call us an hour before they decide to come by. They assure us they will. Two days in a row a tech showed up and never called us but left a note that they could not come inside because no one was home. We have had nothing but trouble ever since we have been with them. Incompetent. Should get a reduced bill since we are not getting service. What a pathetic company.

CenturyLink response

Hi Lisa- thank you for your feedback about this; we'd be happy to look into this concern for you and try to resolve the technician visit issues; please let us know if you'd like the help by responding here, and we'll do everything we can to remedy the situation. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

If I could give negative stars I would. The only person there that has a clue is Shantell. I have called 4 times now since 7/27/18 asking that a payment be fixed. The first time I called they found what happened after 1 hour being on the phone. My payment of $148.60 was in our OLD account instead of the new account. She told me that it would take 5-7 days. Patiently I waited, called and still not done. The girl I spoke to was useless, would not give me a supervisor.

I called 2 days later and still not done, finally got a Supervisor of Finance, now being told can take up to 90 days, and now the "old" account can't be found??? Something is obviously wrong. How can one person find it, and now it just be gone? We got rid of our land line so they changed our number, accounts have to follow a person!!! How hard is it to transfer the payment from a closed account and credit the new? Obviously very. I am very, very unhappy. They treat you like you are a liar! I'm sure this review will not help me get this issue taken care of, but I have nothing to lose at this point except my $148.60. I have records to back me up so they will not get another penny out of me!

CenturyLink response

Hello Karen, we can understand how frustrating and exasperating billing issues can be- and would like to remedy the issue for you. If you'd like the assistance, please let us know by responding here and we'd be happy to help. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

2 weeks ago I made the switch from Xfinity to CenturyLink on a Tuesday. I was told I'd have my modem the same week. The following Monday I began calling daily to which the response was ALWAYS "it's scheduled to arrive tomorrow". Well, it's now Friday and I found out when I called today that my package was undeliverable because my address was incorrect. This was incredibly frustrating because CenturyLink requests you to verify your address every time you call them. I then had to call UPS and track down my package.

Long story short it was an hour away. When I finally got the package I noticed that it was correct but my name and apartment number was missing. A CenturyLink technician even stopped by exactly a week after I initially set up my service to verify that my Internet was working and when we told him we still haven't received our modem he didn't seem surprised. So here I sit, an hour away from home, trapped in traffic with a screaming baby in the back seat! I'll update my post if I decide to stick with CenturyLink.

CenturyLink response

We're so sorry to see that we didn't get you your modem on time or check on the address that the modem was being delivered to as a possible means for the delay; that's not the process we endorse or customer service we want to repeat here at CenturyLink. If you'd like us to look into this for you, please let us know by responding here. We look forward to hearing from you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Last month they came. Said they could not install because their wires were bad. Said they’d be in touch. Month later we call set up appt. Appt set for next week. No call no show. Call again. They say 8 weeks before they can come out. Said they can’t get anyone to work for them and short on technicians. This is their problem. Never heard of over 2 months to install internet.

CenturyLink response

That sounds frustrating; we can understand the upset when a technician misses an appointment and install times are pushed so far out. We'd love to look into this for you Anna, if you could please respond here, we'll be happy to get started in finding a more reasonable resolution for you.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I have a very long story as other do. To write a little, they said I could have service, and did credit evaluation, which affected my credit score. Three weeks later after I spend more than 3 hours on the phone, 12 hours waiting for two technicians they promised to send in two different occasions, I found out I cannot have service. No shows without ever telling me why. All they say was I am sorry from Facebook Messenger. Horrible experience.

CenturyLink response

We're sorry to see that you were unable to get service, and we apologize for the frustration of time and energy wasted to get this resolved. We'd love to help in anyway or answer any questions you may have about your old account or our services. Please let us know by responding here; we look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

About a month or so ago, my DSL modem went bad. The technician said it was because of a storm and lightning had taken out a client on their panel. My service was out for 4 days at that time. I was finally sent a modem and installed it and it worked for about a week and a half till the service went down again. After 4 more days a technician came out on a Saturday at 5 pm. He informed me first that there were no repair tickets on their equipment and he had checked it all out. He came inside to look at my modem and verified it was not connected. I connected his line analyzer and found issues at the panel. He went to the panel and phoned back to tell me that lightning had damaged an equipment at the panel.

It appears I was not told the truth that he had checked out the panel as this would have been obvious had he done so. He was going to change me to another line but then called back again to tell me the office was closed. Not trying to be Captain Obvious here but after 5 on a Saturday evening, duh? I was told he would be back by Wednesday. So here I am on Wednesday, waiting on the technician only to find out my work order has been cancelled. Even though the modem is presently connected, I have 4 logs from the modem where it has disconnected, retrained and reconnected over 15 times in the last day. Their last attempt to resolve the problem is to send another DSL modem. As I am informed by the support person, these are repaired modems. I have to question the quality of repair since this will be the second modem, and the service on the line and their panel equipment has so far proven subpar.

CenturyLink response

Hello Johnny, we understand how important working internet is to our customers in this day and age of online communication and recreational use, and apologize that you have had so many issues getting your service working. We'd be happy to look into getting this resolved for you. Just respond here to get started; we look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

So I decided to go with their gigabit plan to avoid data caps and for the first 4 months or so it was fine. Only went out twice and never for more than a couple of hours. Speeds were roughly what were advertised and all was good. The past few weeks however have been pretty much the exact opposite. Peak times (4pm-11pm) the connection is absolute garbage. Anywhere from 10-20mb/s download and 30-40mb/s upload. Non-peak hours it is just fine and I get close to the speeds that I pay for. This inconsistency is extremely frustrating because what good is having gigabit internet when it's going to perform at DSL speeds right when I get home from work?

I have contacted support a number of times and they say they can't detect anything wrong with the connection. I requested a technician who was scheduled to stop by between 1pm-4pm but then shows up at 10am so I have to run home from work to let him in and of course my internet is working just fine as it's not peak hours so he can't do anything. He offered to switch out my equipment but we both agreed that it most likely wouldn't fix anything as the equipment performs just fine during non-peak hours.

They seem to throttle connections during peak hours or just don't have the infrastructure setup to handle the traffic. Whichever it is there is absolutely no point in ordering anything more than their lowest speed plan in my area as the performance of the higher speed plans when most people use it is an absolute joke. I attached an image of some speed tests that I have taken recently. The peaks are tests during non-peak hours and the dips are the speeds I get during peak hours. Can't say I would ever recommend their service but thankfully I have 1 other option in my area that I will be looking into.

CenturyLink response

Hello Tom, we are sorry to hear that your speeds are dropping during peak hours; that is definitely frustrating. We can delve further into this issue to see what might be causing the drops, and subsequently what can action can be taken to secure a resolution. If you would like our assistance, please let us know by responding to this message and we can get started.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Internet- DSL-Customer Service, I never write reviews! Sequence of events: 7-24-18 We had an internet outage, called support and in only 48 minutes it was determined that our modem was bad. They said, "Stop here. We will send a new modem. It will arrive in 2 business days." 7-27-18 No delivery, called back. Confirmation # was not valid, no record of earlier call and no modem shipped. They will send one out right away. Received new confirmation #. Modem to arrive in 2 business days. Duration of call, 41 minutes.

8-1-18 No delivery, called back. Upset customer, sent up to manager after 31 minutes. Spent another 19 minutes with manager during which we determined that our area now has “bonded DSL lines” This requires a VDSL2 modem that we do not have. All this to say, CenturyLink knew they changed lines in our area and chose not to notify customer and wasted over 2 hours troubleshooting a problem they already know that we had and THEY actually caused... Amazing. By the way, so far no confirmation numbers have been traceable when we call back so they are apparently made up by the tech on the spot and not logged. Not impressed for a technology company. But anyway so sorry for the problem, they will send one out to arrive by 8-4-18.

8-7-18 Still no modem. Since the last confirmation number is also not trackable we start from the beginning once again. Folks, you can't make this level of incompetence up. Spent another 33 minutes starting over with tech support and they don't actually know about VDSL2 or bonded lines and that the product we have is not compatible. Let’s try a supervisor! She decides this warrants a discussion customer retention which feels a lot like an attempt to anger the customer since her delivery time for the product they caused us to need has an 8 business day delivery now! Then she accident dropped the call, but in my mind it was a hang up.

Yes they have our number because we pay them for phone service but no they don't call back. Same day, call #2. Manage to get the “parts dept”. They are happy to ship one today!!! Amazing, they will add to our bill. So TWO weeks in on a problem they caused and now we have to buy a part that we just hope they actually ship. In any other business, this would be an epic fail... but based on the reviews from the last few days it's just business as usual.

CenturyLink response

Hello John, we are disappointed to hear that you have not received a new modem, and that you have had to spend so much time on the phone attempting to get this resolved; that is not the kind of service we want to be providing. We can ensure that you receive a new modem. If you would like our assistance, please let us know by responding to this message and we can get started.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Sadly, many in rural areas have only one choice for a phone/Internet provider. My family falls in this category. For over 20 years we have had CenturyTel and then CenturyLink provide a landline and Internet to our home. Let me begin by bragging about how awesome the folks are that answer the phone when you call. These customer service people are some of the nicest, most polite individuals I deal with - whether it's the phone or the Internet they are total professionals. And the technicians that come to my house - I can't say enough good things about them.

They will spend hours and sometimes days trying to rectify our connection issues. Sadly, for them, they support a sub-par product that is inferior in every single aspect. If it rains, our Internet DSL drops constantly, getting as many as 1,000 resets in a 24 hour period! Additionally, the phone line gets a VERY LOUD BUZZ that continues for days after the rain clears up! We are hostage to this service because of where we live - if you have a choice - choose someone else.

CenturyLink response

Hello Tanya, we are sorry to hear that your service needs aren't being met, and we can certainly understand your frustration. We can investigate this issue to ensure that every action possible is taken to get your service working at max performance. If you'd like our help, please let us know by responding to this message and we can get started.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I had to call 6 times! Just to follow up on a credit that was gonna be given to me for a refurbished modem that was malfunctioning for 3 weeks (emphasize "gonna be" - it's been 8 months now and no credit yet). Each time I called I was promised that the credit will apply on the next bill, and nada. Each time I had to explain the reason for the credit, as nothing has been noted on the account from my previous calls. They could never give me a reference # for future tracking. On my last attempt I spoke to a rep who was going to transfer me to a supervisor, and apparently I was transferred to an "agent" (whatever that means...) who wasn't any better than the previous one. I just gave up, I hope they'll have good use for that money... Thanks for nothing CenturyLink.

CenturyLink response

Hello Niro, we are sorry to hear that the modem we shipped you did not work properly, and subsequently that you have not yet received your credit for the equipment. We can work with you to get this issue resolved. If you would like our assistance, please let us know by responding to this message and we can get started.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

My wife and I decided to have a traditional phone line added to our CenturyLink internet account. The phone service was 'installed' at the end of May this year, 2018, or very early in June. The line crackled from the start and so we were not very happy about it but thought we'd give it a little try anyway; maybe it might improve. I called my wife on her other phone and she called me back so we knew we were connected despite the awful static. I also made one other call and received a call back. My caller commented about the static and how hard it was to hear me; we actually both had trouble hearing one another. I received return call later from that caller but the line was just as bad.

On June 14th, the phone line having seemed to have been cut off when I tried to see if I had, at least, a dial tone so I could make an attempt to speak to someone again, as we were contemplating terminating the account and wondering if things had improved. The service being unsatisfactory anyway, I then called CenturyLink to officially and permanently terminate our phone account. My wife and I both spoke to "Alex" on this occasion, from about 12.15 p.m. to after 12.30 pm, each listening to the other's conversation as witnesses, and he agreed to terminate our account officially. He gave his badge number as **.

A subsequent CenturyLink billing included a charge of over $200 for this disconnected "service" (added to our usual monthly internet billing of just under $70) and we are refusing to pay, due to the service being cut off by CenturyLink without notice within a week or two of installation. It is true that a fellow had "installed" it, which involved punching a few numbers into our system in a visit which seemed to last about three minutes at the most.

But the service was not good, was shut down by CenturyLink, according to the CSR, within one or two weeks without notice, and we had both asked for the account to be terminated on June 14th. We have had internet service for two years or more with CenturyLink and have always paid our bills until now. We are disgusted with this whole situation. The tech who had come to our house to 'install' the service, claimed he was increasing our internet speed but it has actually been a lot slower since his visit.

Summary: We don't want the phone service. It was not "as advertised" and there was horrible static; we had service for two weeks at the most and actually stopped using it after a day or two; then we were disconnected with no forewarning and charged well over $200 by CenturyLink. We are disgusted with what we had thought was a reputable company.

CenturyLink response

Hello Bill, we are very sorry to hear that our home phone service did not meet your needs, and subsequently that you were charged for the unauthorized disconnection. We can make sure that any billing errors are promptly corrected. If you would like our help, please let us know by responding to this message and we can get started.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Everything about the experience with CenturyLink has been awful. Internet worked while installer here, stopped working shortly after. Had to go through an insanely drawn out process to get it back up and running. My girlfriend and I were moving into a new place together, she originally set up the account. We called to request the account be transferred into my name. CenturyLink told us "no problem". At this point we we're locked out of our account and unable to make payment through the MyCenturyLink app, Website, and via phone. We received fines on our bill for late charges and we're issued a disconnect notice. We called and had to speak to department after supervisor after department after supervisor ETC. transferred over and over. Finally we got our account re-established WITH late fees and a $25 reconnect fee.

We asked if they could waive those charges given the circumstances... They said "oh the last department could have done that for you at the time of reconnect, now you need to wait 30 days until the next billing cycle to request the charges be removed". Waited, called back, account was STILL inaccessible and could not pay on app/site/phone. After a maddening amount of time spend transferring between departments again Tech Support was able to get us back into the account and finally credit the $25 reconnect fee. While on the website I saw "price for life $55 1 Gig (1000 Mbps) speed for the same price we are paying for 40 Mbps. Asked if they could bump us up to the advertised speed on the website after we verified the deal was available in our area. Tech said "no we can't in this department, call back tomorrow and have The Loyalty Team take care of it for you".

Called the next day to have The Loyalty Team say they couldn't do it... We had to chat with The Online Team. The Online Team said the deal was for new customers only... But to call back The Loyalty Team because that department FOR SURE can honor the deal for us. I took screenshots of this information including the name of the agent. When calling back The Loyalty Team they said "we apologize for the misinformation... But there is no way for us to honor the advertised price". Eventually I gave up and had spent way too much time wrestling with them. At the end I asked "well can you at least credit my bill for all of the trouble we've been through from the start including this!?" They said they would issue a $35 Visa gift card...then...Wait! "The system won't allow me to issue you the gift card. Let me give you the phone number to our Visa Gift Card department..."

I laughed, and had basically gone numb from this extreme nonsense. About an hour later I said "** I'm calling that #". The Visa Gift Card department said that The Loyalty Team put a note stating to issue us a $30 gift card (somewhere we lost five bucks lol). HOWEVER... The Loyalty Team MUST be the ones to issue the card and The Visa Gift Card department has nothing to do with issuing Visa gift cards. I told them that I do not want their gift card and I will be shopping for better service. Maybe I should take some of the blame for entertaining the idea that something would eventually go smooth and continuing down their "rabbit hole" of **. I bet most normal people would have just left sooner.

CenturyLink response

Hello Jesse, we are very disappointed to hear that you did not receive the assistance you needed in getting your bill paid, and subsequently that you endured such a hassle to get your service reconnected and to receive the proper credit. We can also understand your frustration regarding the pricing and the gift card. We can make sure that you are receiving the lowest price possible, as well as honor the $35 that you were offered. If you'd like our assistance, please respond here to get started.

CenturyLink expert review by ConsumerAffairs

CenturyLink was founded 1968 and is now the third largest DSL provider in the United States. The company provides Internet, television, home security and home phone services. It also partners with Verizon to offer cell phone service. Customers receive discounts for subscribing to multiple CenturyLink services.

• International plans: CenturyLink offers reduced rates for calling select countries in Central and South America. They also have plans for other international call and plans specifically for calling Canada.

• Extra features: Consumers can choose a plan with a wide variety of features, including call forwarding, caller ID, three-way calling, voicemail and more.

• Refer-a-friend: CenturyLink’s refer-a-friend program rewards consumers when someone signs up for a new service using an existing customer’s referral link. If the new customer remains with the company for two months, both parties receive a gift card worth up to $75, depending on the type of service the new customer selects.

• Online support: The Guidance Center section of CenturyLink’s website has tools to help customers with questions or problems. If customers can’t solve the problem on their own, they can easily make a service call request from the same page on the website.

• Best for: CenturyLink is best for consumers who want to bundle multiple services.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

CenturyLink Company Information

www.centurylink.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business