1.26/5
Based on 552 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

formerly Qwest

3919 CenturyLink Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 17, 2018

My sibling and I have been with Century Link for over 2 years. I manage his account as he is mute. We cancelled both "Prism" TV, and decided to go with DirecTV, I still had to deal with Century Link as DirecTV does not offer internet service and both have partnered with bundling. Unfortunately, during the process of cancelling Prism, I sat on the phone for over 90 minutes in which I spoke to 11 people, 9 of which were offshore call center agents. One hung up when I asked for her agent ID, the others were rude and could not answer much of anything.

I did manage to speak to two agents based in the US, who were helpful. The last one promising $300 reward card, for my brother, but only a $100 arrived. We both returned the equipments well within the 30 day period after canceling both account with their provided shipping for Colorado. Today, we get another shipping label return address to Kansas. I just have this bad feeling that when I call to explain all of this, I will spend more than 90 minutes again. I wished DirecTV had internet so that we would be freed of Century Link.

CenturyLink response

I would be more than happy to see if I can locate the other gift card and see where the label for Kansas came from. Please let me know if you would like my help by responding to this message.

Original review: June 17, 2018

I don't believe in my 50 plus years on this earth that I've ever had a company flat out LIE!!! I reached out to CenturyLink on Wednesday 06/13/2018 to set up services. From the beginning it's been an absolute nightmare!!! First of all I never asked for self installation. However they send me an email stating my modem has been shipped but they had my unit number wrong. I called them and they said they fixed the address. However UPS said they couldn't deliver the package because my apartment # was incorrect. Then I speak with a installation tech who says well UPS doesn't deliver on Saturdays and when I told him I didn't sign up for self installation he says it's OK. The tech will bring the modem.

Well Saturday morning a modem shows up via UPS (which he claimed didn't deliver on Saturdays) then on Saturday my appointment was between 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm, well by 4:20 pm I call and I'm told their TECHS DON'T WORK ON SATURDAYS!!! So why in the world would I be scheduled for a day techs don't work!!! I reached out via chat around 2:30 pm to confirm my appointment and they CONFIRMED IT! When I ask why I was LIED TO, the agent said, "You weren't lied to. The rep just didn't know." How the HELL does a rep not know their TECHS DON'T WORK ON SATURDAYS!!!

Cox may be a little more expensive but they are WAY MORE PROFESSIONAL!!! Cox will reach out to you via phone to confirm your appointment and the TECHS WORK ON SATURDAYS!!! I never got my services set up. I canceled the order and ran as fast as I can in the other direction. CenturyLink has to be the most UNPROFESSIONAL company I have EVER DEALT WITH! Not to mention their reps hang up phones in your face. I think they all work from home!

CenturyLink response

I am sorry to hear of the issues you had with the new order that caused you to cancel. I would be more than happy to assist you with any questions or concerns you may have. Please let me know if you would like my help by responding to this message.

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 16, 2018

CenturyLink disconnected my TV and internet. Admitted it was their error but no one can restore it. Countless calls and tweets and emails but no follow thru. Already been a week. Now it’s the weekend again. One hand doesn't know what the other does. Very disappointed and frustrated.

Hello Rosalie,

We are sincerely sorry to hear about the issues you’ve dealt with regarding your CenturyLink services. We recently started monitoring the reviews on Consumer Affairs and I would like to help you with your services if you are seeking assistance. If you would like our help, please let us know by responding to this message and we can get started.

Original review: June 15, 2018

If you have an alternative internet provider I would highly recommend using them instead of the hassle of using CenturyLink. The customer service is very unprofessional and the reps will tell you anything to get you off the phone. I was lied to by 6 different reps about billing issues, scheduling appointments, and how much my monthly rate would be. I was told I would receive a modem for free for the hassle when in fact they charged me an extra $100.00 for it. It took me two weeks longer to actually get service than what I was told and of course I was already being billed before I even had service.

The service reps were extremely rude and lied to me just to get me off the phone. This company is trash, stay away from them. All they care about is the money they charge you. They could care less if your service is interrupted or whether you're satisfied or not. All they want is your money and that is very clear, they have a reputation with me as being spot on with charging you and are very fast about billing you but very slow about service issues and scheduling a tech to come to your home. Overall when a new service provider comes available even if it's slower I will switch over.

Hello Jesse,

We are sincerely sorry to hear about the issues you’ve dealt with regarding your CenturyLink services and the billing issues. We recently started monitoring the reviews on Consumer Affairs and I would like to help you with your services if you are seeking assistance. If you would like our help, please let us know by responding to this message and we can get started.

Original review: June 15, 2018

While relaxing online tonight I lost service at 7:40pm. Same time I get an email confirming my address changes that I had not requested or made. I chatted online and was told that a service order for termination and removal of my equipment was in process, but he could reinstate my service for $54 a month! I only pay $45 for the same plan and only got it in March...I told him I just want my services restored and back as they were, he said he could not do it, I had to call back in the morning to get it squared away. I am beyond frustrated. Up until tonight I was happy with my service, but this is unacceptable and I'm ready to return my equipment and find another provider.

Hello Stephanie,

We are sincerely sorry to hear about the issues you’ve dealt with regarding the cancellation of your CenturyLink services. We recently started monitoring the reviews on Consumer Affairs and I would like to help you with your services if you are seeking assistance. If you would like our help, please let us know by responding to this message and we can get started.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CenturyLink?

Original review: June 14, 2018

I have been with CenturyLink for over a decade and had numerous internet problems with speed and connectivity. My bill for cable, internet, and phone was 244.00 a month. I had surgery in January and couldn't afford the bill so I called to cancel on 02/01/2018. They talked me into keeping my service offering a great discount of about 70 dollars a month.

My first bill was only about 30 dollars cheaper after this so called discount so I called back in April to cancel the service. On 06/01/2018 I received a bill of 748.00. I called to complain and they told me they would do an investigation but informed me I was charged three early termination fees of 240.00 EACH plus for the house phone I had kept on. They said because I requested the discount, which I did NOT request, but was pushed into it by their retention department that was trying to talk me out of terminating the service. Since WHEN should it cost me 748.00 to turn off a service that would have been FREE to turn off if I had not accepted under duress accepted a "discount" that saved me a total of less than 50.00? Now I am going BACK to surgery and I can't afford to pay my mortgage. I have NO idea what to do!

CenturyLink response

I would be more than happy to take a look at the billing to see what can be done about the Early Termination Fees. Please let me know if you would like my help by responding to this message.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Called the 3rd week of May. Was told they would come connect internet and home phone on June 13th. Waited all day. Called them multiple times that day. At minimum spoke to 3 different reps each time. Call kept getting transferred. Well when we called after 5 supposedly the installation/tech guy tried to come by but noted address couldn't be found or doesn't exist and that he tried calling but no answer. Both are a lie! I was by my phone all day. He never tried to call and the address does exist. You can find it easily by entering it into a gps and they had provided services to previous homeowner. So I spent all day on the 13th waiting for them. Had to be at work by 5. Spent more than 2 hrs on the phone calling that day. One rep said he could get someone out there by 7 pm. I'M AT WORK. I HAVE A LIFE. I can't call in or leave because they don't show up by 5 which is what they stated they'd do.

That rep hung up, so frustrating now they tell me nearest date to hook up is July 6th! This is ABSOLUTELY ridiculous. Horrible customer service. Horrible business. Waited 3 weeks for the connection date of June 13th. Now they're telling me I have to wait an additional 3 weeks to July 3rd because THEIR EMPLOYEE (installation/tech rep) didn't want to do his job. It's unacceptable! Told them they could have their stuff back and to send me a return box. Absolute worse place I've ever dealt with.

CenturyLink response

I am sorry to hear that the tech did not make it out. I would be more than happy to assist you with any questions or concerns you may have. Please let me know if you would like my help by responding to this message.

Original review: June 14, 2018

We have had CenturyLink in the past and was NOT happy with the service or their customer service. We recently cut the cord because we got tired of being ** by Cox Communications' RIDICULOUS billing practices and forever cost increases. Have to say that this time around hasn't been so bad. It's still somewhat slow but not bad considering how much we stream and the installation/customer service has improved. Our 150.00 dollar prepaid card came as promised. Our monthly bill is VERY affordable. Needs some tweaks here and there but overall we are pleased.

CenturyLink response

I am glad to hear that you came back to us and that this time around has been much more pleasant. If you're ever in need of assistance, please feel free to reach out to us. We're more than happy to help.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Landline @ home with 2 elderly, health ridden parents failed approx. a week before my Mom's 80th birthday. Our landline is the only phone which works due to being in a rural area and bottom of a ridge. Landline failed. Called for repair. After several questions while I was on a cellphone cutting in and out I was informed a service repair date wouldn't be til June 15th. Really? How do we call 911 and Mom's birthday was June 2nd 2018. So no one could call her on her birthday and no way for anyone here to call 911 unless you hike down road til a cell works. I explained parents were elderly, health ridden and needed a phone for emergencies etc. No explanation besides, "We have other customers for how long repair date was set out so far."

This company is horrific. Have been a customer for 20 yrs but even if you were a new customer there's no reason a repair service date should be so far out. I am so disgusted with the way we are discarded. One of the times I called I asked why so far out for repair and this supposed manager I asked for said, "We have other customers." My jaw dropped. I said, "Are you serious. Then maybe you should hire more help. We have to pay our bill and this is the service we get. Pretty saddd!!!" I called from a cell phone for 4 days and never got a sooner date than June 13th. So we'll see if the repair tech even shows?

CenturyLink response

I am sorry to hear that the repair took so long to happen. I would be more than happy to look into this further for you. Please let me know if you would my help by responding to this message.

Original review: June 13, 2018

We have never had CenturyLink but we received a collection notice from a company representing CenturyLink. If CenturyLink was a reliable company wouldn't we receive a bill, phone call saying we were past due? The address they say that is on file we haven't lived at for 2 years. This all seems fishy to us. We pay our bills but it's hard to pay a bill to a company you never sign up for or received a bill.

CenturyLink response

I would be more than happy to take a look at the collections activity. Please let me know if you would like me to take a look by responding to this message.

Original review: June 12, 2018

Signed up for internet service. The technician that came to the house told my wife that the test speed he got was 6.4 Mbps but the house supposedly didn’t qualify for any service. Made it sound like he was doing a big favor for us to get set up for 3 Mbps. I spent 2 hrs on the phone with customer service to try to find out why I was guaranteed 7 Mbps when I called to order service but then had a technician set it up for a much lower speed. 30 min of that time was when I was put on hold then hung up on after which I called back.

Still with no answers I gave up that day. Called back the next day only to be told by 4 different people that I had to talk to someone else and they would transfer me. I requested multiple times to speak with anyone who could put in a work order for a technician to come to the house and make sure the job was done correctly. I totally understand that due to my location I will not have “fast” internet. I still feel like should be able to receive the fastest available and not whatever the technician seems “okay” with giving me. If I had any other option for internet service provider I would switch. Horrible company. Horrible customer service. As soon as there is another company available in my area I will switch even if I have to pay more for the service.

CenturyLink response

I am sorry to hear that the tech was only able to set up 3 MBPS and that no one helped when you called in. I would be more than happy to a look into this for you to see why only 3 MBPS was installed. Please let me know if you would like my help by responding to this message.

Original review: June 12, 2018

They randomly started charging us internet services for 2 years and the associate gave me a really bad snotty attitude when told him they had the wrong info and I got transferred a million times and scoffed at when I asked for a manager and left on hold to die. They're crooks.

CenturyLink response

I would be more than happy to take a look into the billing, I am sorry to hear that the other agent was not helpful and that they just placed you on hold. Please let me know if you would like my help by responding to this message.

Original review: June 11, 2018

2 weeks and counting with no phone service. Husband was promised a discount but lo and behold our bill was higher this time and we still don’t have phone service. Internet does decent if no one else on your road is home to be using it and you've called and had the technician you know on first name basis now come out to fix it several times (which we have nothing against him. We’ve made a new friend.) Just major frustrating when you call and no one can give you a clue why your whole neighborhood is out of service and has been for 2 weeks. Husband asked for a technician AGAIN and they agreed for someone to come out but only if he was home in case it was something wrong on ‘our end’. The ENTIRE neighborhood is out but you want to pretend it may be our fault??? Husband told them he’d have lost his job a long time ago if he took off every time they've had to send out a technician.

I work in customer service and this company is just too big for their breeches. We’ve all called and complained multiple times but each time we call to complain again, it’s like no one can find any other complaints... really??!! No one knows why we don’t have service. No one has fixed it. No one knows when we will have service back and we live in an area where cell service is spotty at best.

CenturyLink response

I am sorry to hear that the phone has not been working. I would be more than happy to take a look into this for you. I would also be happy to issue credits for time without services. Please let me know if you would like my help by responding to this message.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I had pre-paid CenturyLink over $115 for them to come to my house on 6/4/2018. I pre-paid this amount a week or more in advance and took off work so I could meet their technicians at my new house. I did not receive a courtesy call or any notification when they did not show up. I called the customer service line, and it was mentioned that a technician would not be able to come out to my house until 6/12/2018.

This MAY have been a possibility on my part, but my best friend who just moved into his new house as well in the same area, had the same awful experience and was rescheduled 2 or MORE times to get his new service hooked up. I had 0 belief the technician would show up on the new date on the 12th, the manager I spoke with was adamant. That was the best he could do. I have been in a family that has been a customer of CenturyLink for 30 years. This is simply unacceptable practice and I am appalled. Do not make promises on dates for service if you cannot adhere to them. If you cannot adhere to them, call the customer the day before and let them know you cannot be there. Absolutely awful experience.

CenturyLink response

I am sorry to hear that we missed your appointment and that the tech did not call. I would be more than happy to make sure the tech comes out today. Please let me know if you would like my help by replying to this message.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I work from home and contacted CenturyLink 6 months ago to upgrade our internet as it ran extremely slow. They sent a technician out (2+ weeks later) and he had to run a new line. It was not buried at the time. He informed me the line could be driven over for some time before being buried as it had to run across our driveway. For a couple weeks now we have been kicked off the internet daily and it's running back at the original speed. I contacted CenturyLink and requested the line be tested/repaired and buried to avoid this happening again. It's June 11th and the soonest a technician is available is July 3rd! There are no other options in my area as it's unincorporated and considered rural. I was not given a discount for the month. I will be paying for the faster speed and not receiving it!!!

CenturyLink response

I am sorry to hear that the line was never buried and that the speeds have not been what they should be. I would be more than happy to see if we can get a sooner due date. Please let me know if you would like my help by responding to this message.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I upgraded my internet service to “10 Mbps High Speed Internet” as soon as it was available several years ago and pay $59.90 for the add on. I have rarely had the delight of receiving 10 Mbps; It had been about 8, at best, but in the last year, I have been lucky to get over 1.5 Mbps. I have asked the call center about only having 8 Mbps and the response is that I actually only pay for “up to” 10 Mbps and 10 Mbps is not guaranteed. However, I called this past Wednesday 6/6/18 and they scheduled an appointment because the service was testing at .41 Mbps. The technician came Friday 6/8/18 because that was the earliest appointment time. Last night, the service was at .71 Mbps after he fixed it. It’s not a problem inside my home. It’s a problem with the lines and delivery of the DSL.

I called again last night for a service call and they’ve scheduled me again for Tuesday 6/12/18. I don’t who has all of this time to hang around the house for CenturyLink technicians to bumble about my home just to permit .3 Mbps increase in speed, but I don’t. This is the worst internet service in the entire country and their response time is equally disgraceful. When I began a chat Tuesday, Hannah took 38 minutes to get through the process - I could only guess that she must have been reading the manual as she went through the questions to ask me.

This is the very reason some of us are hopeful for Broadband Over Power to become a reality. It is hard to be competitive in this world with this type of service being the only internet infrastructure available. Internet is now a part of life and integral to staying in business like having electricity and running water. For people, like me who work at home at night to stay in touch with clients or to conduct research, this puts me at a disadvantage among my peers.

Hello Peggy,

We are sincerely sorry to hear about the issues you’ve dealt with regarding your CenturyLink service. We recently started monitoring the reviews on Consumer Affairs and I would like to help you with your services if you are seeking assistance. If you would like our help, please let us know by responding to this message and we can get started.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I pay for .5 Mbps (download) Internet service on a DSL line. Most mornings, sometimes all day, my download speed is .02 Mbps -- about the speed of a voice-phone audio 200 Baud internet connection 25 years ago. Complaints bring no solutions. I complained yesterday (June 8, 2018) and was told a repair person will look at it June 15. That's a week! Repair people who come here don't care. They openly say they hate the company they work for. One repair person told me my service was slow because CL has overloaded the DSL connection. Who knows?

Good afternoon Jesse,

We are sincerely sorry to hear about the issues you’ve dealt with regarding your CenturyLink services and internet speeds. We recently started monitoring the reviews on Consumer Affairs and I would like to help you with your services if you are seeking assistance. If you would like our help, please let us know by responding to this message and we can get started.

Original review: June 8, 2018

Terrible customer service... talked to 8 people and just got shunted from billing to tech support and back again... several times! Each department blamed the other for the screw-up. About 4 people in, I talked to a fellow named Dan who was tech support out of Boise, ID (hats off to Dan) who gave me the real reason why my service had been interrupted and what I needed to do to correct the situation. Turns out I had two accounts of which one was to have been deactivated when I got a service upgrade last month. The payment I had made was credited to the inactive account and when the active account wasn't paid, they shut off my service. They absolutely refused to credit the correct account and I had to pay the fee that I should have paid to the active account in the first place.

I have paid twice for the same Internet and got a runaround that lasted six hours before my husband was able to get the funds to pay the internet bill again! They signed me up for autopay without my knowledge since they "stored my card info for my convenience" and when there was nothing to take, they canceled my service. I feel like I was being played by all but one of your customer service reps, who I already mentioned in this post. One of the reps sounded like he didn't care, I immediately asked for his supervisor, and my call was placed on "hold" never to be answered again and I hung up. Whenever I asked for a supervisor, I don't think I got one at all, I was just being passed from phone to phone at the same center.

Oh, I didn't even get close to the speed I paid for after the "upgrade" until today when I went through this nightmare so I could finish my finals for school. If I had the money in the first place, I would have paid it but why should I pay twice for the same service and why did I get passed for the amusement of your customer reps, one who couldn't even be bothered to sound professional? Why couldn't billing or financial or whatever you want to call it not see that there were two account numbers under my name and only one was active? I got that one from the helpful tech and he was the only one that didn't blame the others for being incompetent. Except for him, it seemed to be a group effort.

Hello Maxine,

We are sincerely sorry to hear about the issues you’ve dealt with regarding customer service and getting assistance with your billing. We recently started monitoring the reviews on Consumer Affairs and I would like to help you with your services if you are seeking assistance. If you would like our help, please let us know by responding to this message and we can get started.

Original review: June 8, 2018

We have a cabin in WI that we had internet installed at 2 weeks ago with CenturyLink. It worked perfectly for the 2 weekends that we were able to use it. We came up last night with the intention of working from the cabin on Friday only to find that our internet service did not work when we arrived. We attempted to reset the modem but were not able to. We called CenturyLink technical support and she attempted to fix the problem remotely. We tried this for about an hour and she determined that a technician would need to come out to fix the problem. The earliest they could get a technician here was Wednesday June 13th almost a full week after we reported the issue. We explained to her that we would not be here on June 13th and really needed internet within 24 hours and she simply said there was nothing they could do.

It is unacceptable that a company cannot provide better customer service than this. Offering to give us a credit for the time that we are unable to use their service does nothing to fix the problem we have of not being able to work this weekend and the problem is still not going to be resolved since we are not able to be home on June 13th for this to get fixed.

Hello Stephanie,

We are sincerely sorry to hear about the issues you’ve dealt with regarding your CenturyLink services and our Technical Support. We recently started monitoring the reviews on Consumer Affairs and I would like to help you with your services if you are seeking assistance. If you would like our help, please let us know by responding to this message and we can get started.

Original review: June 7, 2018

We were experiencing an internet outage in our area - which I knew was regional because a friend contacted me with the same issue I had (slow traffic). Gave it almost an hour (nothing critical going on) and then contacted support on a chat to get an ETA for the issue if possible. After explaining that this was happening at two locations that were unrelated so that confirmed it was not the onsite equipment at either (just basic logic) could I find out a rough expected timeframe for resolution. The online tech wanted to then factory reset my modem. I again repeated that it wasn't an issue at my location or the other location as they were separate accounts, separate addresses, separate equipment.

Tech then wanted me to hook up a computer to the modem to run tests on it. I repeated my clarification on how I determined that it wasn't an issue with the modem, router, or any onsite hardware as it was regional, and just wanted an ETA on the repair if they had one. I explained that DNS lookups worked, but pages did not load. Tech then asked me to run a speed test. I reminded the tech that I had just stated pages don't load, so I couldn't run a speed test. They then were going to reset my line to resolve it. At this point, it was about a half an hour into the chat, and we weren't getting anywhere. It could have been an easy "let me check" and either "yep, there's an issue, ETA is x" or "sorry, we don't' have an ETA quite yet" Instead the rep was following the script closely without actually paying attention to what I was saying.

You have to give your techs some education and permission to think outside the box a bit. This was a poor experience - and I don't fully blame it on the rep. I've done front line call center work - so I get the limitations placed on them by the vendor. It's OK to be honest with your customer - if you don't have an answer yet. I know not every customer will be happy with that - you can't please them all - but my experience has shown me that a little acknowledgment and honesty goes a long way. Because the tech had to follow the guidelines so closely, they wasted my time for about half an hour, and I never got an answer, just attempts to fix things that weren't actually broken.

Hello Matt,

We are sincerely sorry to hear about the issues you’ve dealt with regarding your CenturyLink services and our representatives. We recently started monitoring the reviews on Consumer Affairs and I would like to help you with your services if you are seeking assistance. If you would like our help, please let us know by responding to this message and we can get started.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I set up a business landline in my home back in January for a small business I was going to be running. I was told I would be paying 60 something a month for a promotional package with internet in order to make it cheaper than the landline by itself. The ONLY reason I even was compelled to pay so much for just having the most basic landline is because the company I was working for told me I could only have a hard wired landline and Centurylink was the absolute only company that would service our "rural" area.

After receiving my Service Order confirmation in the mail, it stated I would owe over $100 a month!!! When I called Centurylink to dispute this, they told me I had to email the customer service rep to fix it!!! WHAT!? I have to email them to correct their mistake? Anyways it was finally corrected and I never received a bill until MAY! I had even told the customer service rep I hadn't received a bill yet and she said to watch out for it. Fast forward to May. I receive a bill for a bit over $100 and I figured it was because it had been a few months since I had even received one so I paid it. Mind you, I never even ended up using the phone because the business fell through but that is neither here nor there.

We are moving and I decided to cancel the service altogether since it is not even being used and upon speaking with the customer service rep who basically told me I was delinquent over $500 dollars and would need to pay that plus a $200 early termination fee in order to shut it off. I AM COMPLETELY LIVID!!! Lets say the conversation did not end well and now I am stuck with a bill over $700 for a phone I never even used or even got a bill for until months later!!! But this is somehow MY fault! I don't do their billing, I don't send out their invoices, are you kidding me!? I have excellent credit and make sure all my bills are paid. This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever dealt with a company in my life. Steer clear of them. They will screw you over.

Hello Jaclyn,

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 6, 2018

Contract was ending with Xfinity, and although the service was good, I don't like the way they play with pricing, so was tempted by CL's Price-For-Life promo. Checked it out on the web and noticed that the only two modem options at sign up are "Buy" and "Lease". I chatted with someone at CL and told them I already had a C1000A from earlier service, that it's still listed on their supported list, so I didn't want to lease or buy; I just wanted to use my existing modem. They told me: no problem, we HAVE to send you one, but you can return it the next day. So I signed up. Sure enough, my existing modem worked fine for my speeds. Sent back their modem next day with their shipping label. Guy at UPS drop-off told me to keep the receipt, because CL has a habit of losing the modems.

Noticed that my first bill had the leased modem on it, but I thought: well, I did have it for one day, and it's only $10, so no worries. Six weeks later, I get my next bill. Leased modem still on. I call and they say that they never received the modem back. (Do a search on this; I now know the UPS guy was right and this happens a lot). Sometime in the last six weeks, I lost the receipt. CL says that I have to keep leasing (and pay for the modem when I finally cancel). So, canceled CenturyLink immediately and here's a preliminary balance sheet of my Price-for-Life experience with them. Preliminary, because I actually don't believe that they will cleanly cancel the account either.

I received five weeks of service from CenturyLink. My price-for-life fee was supposed to be $45/mo, so I should have been charged about $56. I didn't find out that they lost my modem, which caused me to cancel my service, until after I had already paid for next month. CenturyLink's policy is that you don't get any refund on the month's fee. So: 2-month internet service = $90. 2-month modem lease = $20. Cost of modem. I don't know what this actually is. Didn't pay much attention, because I thought I'd just be sending it back. The bill says "Deluxe Modem lease". I seem to remember something like $140 or $150 (which means it was probably a $70 modem). Let's go with $140, but maybe I'm in for an unpleasant surprise there.

I'm not going to count the loss on the overlap with Xfinity, nor the time waiting for the CL technician, nor time on the phone with CL people (by the way, the price-for-life billing is apparently handled by someone else called SimplePay, so you don't have the same service reps, they have shorter hours, etc.). So let's say conservatively that CenturyLink charged/will charge me $250 for around $56 or $57 of service, and for a modem which I told them I didn't want in the first place. What is that, like 400% uplift? Of course, it could go up. They should be very proud of the business they're running there. Back to Xfinity.

CenturyLink response

I am sorry to hear that the modem lease was not removed and that you cancelled the services. I would be more than happy to see if I can locate the modem, that way you're not charged. Please let me know if you would like my help by responding to this message.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I have a landline with CenturyLink. When I first got service last year, I waited at home for 8 different days to finally get service. They indicated they tried to reach me, but couldn't so they didn't come out. They couldn't reach me because I live in a remote area with no cell service and of course No landline at that point which is why I needed them in the first place.

Now one year later, the phone is out of service as of today (June 5, 2018) and after being on a chat for over 2 hours with various people I was told nobody could come out until June 18. That is almost 2 weeks. We have a special needs child in the home and my partner works from home depending on the phone for calls and faxes. This wait not only puts my child at medical risk (as well as the rest of the family) since we have no cell service and now no landline. Also, my partner is unable to work for 2 weeks due to the lack of phone.

The service from CenturyLink has been nothing short of a disaster from the start with the 8 days of waiting to now. We have NO recourse since they are the only game in town and we have no other options for service but to bow to them and take their lack of service. My only recourse is to let others know. Not that it will matter. If you have other options... Take them, otherwise if you are like me you can give them a one star or a five star you still have to have them. Suck it up and be ready is all I can say.

Updated on 06/06/2018: I got the same generic, "Sorry to hear about your issue," reply today on this site and it says to reply to the message if I want their help. I can't seem to figure out how to reply to the message. I am sure it is a user error on my part, but there seems to be no way to reply. If there is please explain.

CenturyLink response

I am sorry to hear that the appointment is scheduled for June 18th. I would be more than happy to see if I can get a sooner due date. Please let me know if you would like my help by responding to this message.

Original review: June 5, 2018

After another day without internet I phoned CenturyLink again. I was told the modem needed to be replaced and that one would be overnighted to me. This was Wednesday and today is Tuesday of the following week... guess what? STILL NO MODEM. I spoke with the customer service rep who told me that the ‘free no charge’ modem was a ONE TIME COURTESY and DO YOU UNDERSTAND THAT WE WON’T DO THIS AGAIN? What customer service rep thinks this is a good tone and verbiage to use on customers that spend well over $100 each month for very poor Internet???

Apparently CenturyLink customer service reps do. After receiving that rep's rant I asked for a supervisor who restated the EXACT SAME SENTENCES TO ME and either could care less that I told him this was rude OR the fact that their customer service is based in India and they have no idea how American culture and customer service is handled. Either way I can’t wait to get another service provider. Boycott customer service for Americans that is not American-focused or American-based, period!

CenturyLink response

I am sorry to hear that you have not received the modem. I would be more than happy to see if I can locate it for you. Please let me know if you would like my help by responding to this message.

Original review: June 5, 2018

3 cell towers 100 yards from house, cable and telephone broadband two miles away, fiber optic cable roughly 100 yards from back door and can't get a high speed service. Many times 15 minutes or more to get in my bank account. If try to use a bill pay system might lose connection before transaction is completed (20 mins) newspaper read may take all day to read 30 pages of headline's sad system. Pay same amount as those that have CenturyLink high speed service. Their speeds get increased but my service never changes. I'm paying for their service.

CenturyLink response

I am sorry to hear of the issues you've had with the internet speeds. I would be more than happy to take a look. Please let me know if you would like my help by responding to this message.

Original review: June 5, 2018

On May 24th I called in to upgrade my internet service speed. After confirming with the rep about what speeds I wanted and the required equipment upgrade I also decided to purchase a modem. I was told to expect the price of the modem to be on the next bill, which I expected and was fine with. As soon as I got off the phone with the rep I received an email stating that they got the change of service request and to basically expect more info later.

After still not receiving any more information or my modem I called in. First person was condescending and a bit rude. So I went on chat. That person basically told me there was no order. She quoted me a higher service price but lower modem purchase. I snapped a pic of that. What? So I called in again while on chat to try to get a supervisor. That person only wanted to sell product that kept saying no to. After saying no 10 times (not kidding) I hung up. Called back again. I got a very understanding rep who basically told me the price for my upgrade was different than before. Plus the price for the modem purchase is higher than the chat rep told me. She said that the online reps have different promos.I went back to chat. This new person was now telling me a different price for the upgrade and modem purchase as well having to shell out 60 dollars for a tech visit. Nope. Off the chat.

After waiting on the phone again for about 15 to 20 minutes my wife helped me get in contact with Facebook chat rep for CenturyLink. Not exactly the best way to have a conversation. But Scott was somewhat helpful if not limited in his information. Long story longer, my account had multiple errors in it from the time the order was created. Of which no account number and missing codes. Apparently the order was sent to another department to get fixed.

He could not tell me what department it was, when it was sent or an ETA on the fix. So no upgrade. No modem. And no one seems to know how when or why it's all messed up. I'm tired of the complete incompetence of CenturyLink and the total disregard for the customers. I've already sent emails, texts and had my account noted. The fact that not a single person there can solve this one issue or find an answer befuddles me. I plan on taking my hard earned money to Cox.

Anyone reading this should too.

CenturyLink response

I am sorry to hear of the issues you're having with the order. I would be more than happy to assist you with getting the order corrected and getting the upgrade completed. Please let me know if you would like my help by responding to this message.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I contacted CenturyLink in March because my bill jumped up a staggering $100.00 per month. After an excruciating conversation, it was agreed that I was to receive credits/discounts. Nothing applied to my account so I called back today. Absolute rudest customer service experience in my entire life. The male rep literally told me there will be no credits/discounts, as previously promised, applied to my account, and that all charges are accurate and basically to go pack sand. It wasn't just what he said that was so shocking, but how he said it. He was riddled with excuses when I would ask direct questions and responded with a bizarre "God Complex." He genuinely sounded crazy.

I was so taken back that I went online to do some research because I know I am not the only person exposed to this type of inappropriate conduct. It sicked me when I realized there is nothing that can be done because how is anyone able to call out someone when there are no resources governing these type of crazies. Back to the billing-fraud, for those of you who too are experiencing similar issues, you may want to review an article I read: "CenturyLink fights billing-fraud lawsuit by claiming that it has no customers." If anyone reading this has found any relief in either of my situations, please let me know how/what you did. Thank you.

CenturyLink response

I am sorry to hear that the other agent behaved that way and that the promotion was not applied to the bill. I would be more than happy to take a look into this for you. Please let me know if you would like my help by responding to this message.

Original review: June 4, 2018

It seems that if you don't buy THEIR product (Modem) you lose internet for most of the day. (On and Off) Their fix is for you to recycle your modem and then...bingo, it works for the next 5 minutes and then, you lose internet again. Lovely. This has gone off for way too long. If there was lower than a one star, they would earn it.

CenturyLink response

I am sorry to hear that you're having issues with the modem. I would be more than happy to take a look into this for you. Please let me know if you would like my help by responding to this message.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 3, 2018

Century Link only provides 3 MB/sec Internet service in my area. Many of my neighbors cannot get even that much because Century Link will not provide enough lines. They are charging me nearly $60 per month for such low quality service, and frequently the internet goes out even when the DSL is still functioning. I wish I had alternatives.

CenturyLink response

I am sorry to hear that 3 MBPS is the fastest speed we offer in your area. I would be more than happy to take a look to see when faster speeds will become available and to see how we can reduce your bill. Please let me know if you would like my help by responding to this message.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 2, 2018

Tech came out. He just tested the internet line, said it was only 8 to 10 mbps rather than the 25 mbps that I was being sold. Recommended Comcast and left. So I get a bill for 64.50 for tech installation but nothing was installed or activated. Customer service just said I need to pay it. Not cool.

CenturyLink response

I am sorry to hear that the tech did not complete the install. I would be more than happy to look into the charge. Please let me know if you would like my help by responding to this message.

CenturyLink expert review by ConsumerAffairs

CenturyLink was founded 1968 and is now the third largest DSL provider in the United States. The company provides Internet, television, home security and home phone services. It also partners with Verizon to offer cell phone service. Customers receive discounts for subscribing to multiple CenturyLink services.

• International plans: CenturyLink offers reduced rates for calling select countries in Central and South America. They also have plans for other international call and plans specifically for calling Canada.

• Extra features: Consumers can choose a plan with a wide variety of features, including call forwarding, caller ID, three-way calling, voicemail and more.

• Refer-a-friend: CenturyLink’s refer-a-friend program rewards consumers when someone signs up for a new service using an existing customer’s referral link. If the new customer remains with the company for two months, both parties receive a gift card worth up to $75, depending on the type of service the new customer selects.

• Online support: The Guidance Center section of CenturyLink’s website has tools to help customers with questions or problems. If customers can’t solve the problem on their own, they can easily make a service call request from the same page on the website.

• Best for: CenturyLink is best for consumers who want to bundle multiple services.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs