3.05/5
Based on 2,585 ratings submitted in the last year

formerly Qwest

4607 CenturyLink Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 17, 2019

I have had this internet for 12 years now. They are very reliable. I stream all of my content through Roku and it has never failed me. I have lost my internet only 5 times in 12 years. I have the middle speed and it fine for my family of 4.

CenturyLink response

We are so happy to hear that your experience with us thus far as been positive! We do still want to let you know there is an outlet here, that should you need help or have any questions for us, you're able to use to get the assistance you need. Thank you for your review and we hope you have a great rest of your week!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

DirecTV should have never merged with CenturyLink. The company has literally wiped me out of money, and blamed it all on DirecTV. No one pays the amount of money they are asking for television. I have paid out over $800 in the last three months. CenturyLink blames DirecTV when it is not them at all because DirecTV says I do not owe them anything. I really need some help with this. I always thought Comcast was the worst company ever. Now I look at CenturyLink as the second company worst ever. They are nothing but thieves.

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I had an unfortunate mishap with a field guy who canceled my order. In the end a supervisor named Craig went above and beyond by sending his guys out to clean up the previous guys' mess. Thank you so much.

CenturyLink response

We are so glad that Craig was able to help you get your services up and running after our mistaken cancellation. That's the kind of service we want to see from all of our representatives. If you have any questions or concerns for us about your service, please let us know by responding here and we'd be happy to help.

Original review: July 4, 2018

Look, we all have issues from time to time. I have as well. After reading all of the negative reviews, I needed to join, and post my own response. I have 2 CenturyLink accounts. I have, like many others, seen a dramatic increase in my bills after running through time, and promotions ended. My 40 meg went to 80 dollars a month. I was going to cancel the service. But after looking at the bill, when logging out, I seen there was a price for life option, Inquiring minds want to know more. I called, and first, surprisingly, I got in touch with a rep in the United States! I was told that the discounts ran out. Ok, good, are there any new discounts? Loyalty discount for being with them through the years. Awesome! I then asked how the price for life worked. It was explained in clarity. We looked into it, and 1 price, $45 dollars, all fees and taxes included, no hidden surprises. But if I signed up for auto-pay there would be a price decrease of $5 dollars.

Wait, I have never been late, so shouldn't this matter? As we talked, I said I pay through my Bill pay system. I was told that I could sign up for auto-pay, and still pay through bill pay ahead of the due date. All is well. After completing that account review, I then had a review of my second account at another location. Indeed, we can change this to price for life, auto-pay, But that speed (7 meg) would be a lower cost, $35. Hook me up. After the first month, settling previous charges, credits, and payments applied, we settled into a normal routine, $35 and $40 respectively. This was all done back in February. I have not had any issues, and am very happy. My savings totals nearly $50 a month.

So, I thought, Mom is a CenturyLink customer, phone and internet. We did an account review at this same time. Because she has a phone/internet combo, she wasn't able to save Mom much. However, they were able to get her $10 dollars off her internet, and $10 off her phone, a month for 12 months. For her, that is a huge savings. I am sorry to those that have had bad experiences. But people are more inclined to write a bad review as opposed to writing a good review. So, I am writing a good review, and look forward to being a CenturyLink customer for many years to come. God bless the freedoms of America!

CenturyLink response

I am glad to hear that we were able to add you on to the Price for Life plan and safe you about $50 between the two accounts. I am also happy to hear that we were able to reduce your mother's account as well. If you're ever in need of assistance, please feel free to reach out to us. We're more than happy to help.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 20, 2019

I tried to get a 2nd internet line installed about a month ago, received modem shortly after and a letter that said my internet would be activated later that day. Internet was not activated so I called the next day and they couldn't help me over the phone so they set up a technician appointment for 3 days later. He didn't come or maybe he did and did nothing? Called again another appointment was setup for 3 days later. Same thing he didn't come. Called again he said internet will be on in 2 hours. Nothing happened after 2 hours. Called again setup appointment for 10 days later. The guy came. I think he blew a load behind my house and then left internet still not working. Now I'm waiting another 10 days because apparently there is literally nothing that can be done about my situation. Incredible.

CenturyLink response

Hello Micah, we're sorry to hear that this has been your recent experience with CenturyLink, and that your service has yet to be installed. We'd like to look into this for you, and answer any other questions you may have - just reach out to us here privately to get started.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CenturyLink?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 19, 2019

After moving to a location out of town I discovered CenturyLink was my only option for internet service. I called and was informed, yes they do service my area. BUT!!! Their service is full. Ok, wait what? Yes although they service my address they wouldn't be able to provide me with internet because they had no available spots. Sooooo then how do I go about getting internet? Well they have a waitlist. Ok so how do I get on that waitlist? Well, you can't - that site is down. So you can't provide me with service and you can't put me on a waitlist. How do I know if a spot becomes available. "You can call back every day until a spot is available."

Seriously, that's my only option, call every day until you say a spot has become available? But there's a wait list, won't those people get priority? Yes. So call every day to see if a spot is available after all the waitlist people are served first but you can't add me to the waitlist? Yes... Unbelievable. What a joke their customer "service" is. If I could have given them 0 stars I would have. CenturyLink is the worst.

CenturyLink response

Hello. I can definitely understand why you would be upset and I'm sorry we weren't able to get your services running. If you send us a message on here, I would be more than happy to see if there is anything we can to do get your services working.

Original review: May 18, 2019

DO NOT do business with this company!!! I cancelled my service in September 2017 and they are still trying to charge me for service. They claim the service was put on "hold" then continued to accumulate charges without ever notifying me until more than 18 months later. I called to get the problem resolved and they told me they don't have any record of my cancellation, but can see I have not had service with them since September 2017. I am still attempting to resolve the issue and have filed a complaint with the Arizona Attorney General.

CenturyLink response

Hello, George. I can definitely understand why you would be frustrated and I'm sorry that you are being charged despite requesting a disconnect of services. I would be happy to investigate this for you and see what's going on if you send us a message on here.

Original review: May 18, 2019

I try to utilize their vacation hold as I have two accounts with them. One for 6 months and another one in a different location for 6 months. I will no longer be using their vacation hold. The benefit is supposed to be that you call and get if turned on over the phone without a service tech coming to house. I pay $10.00 month for vacation hold. It doesn't work. For several years, every time I get it turned on, they have to send someone out to figure out what is wrong because it doesn't just turn on. Then once I get to the location and find out it isn't working, they have to send someone out and it's usually a week out....which means no internet for a week.

In the future, I will cancel service, call 2 weeks ahead of time when I want it back and schedule a tech to come out so that I actually have internet within a day of arriving to my location. The cost is about the same for me (paying 6 mo vacay hold or paying service charge). So I'm cancelling service from now on. Not doing vacation hold. I own my own modem so I don't need to do anything for their equipment. Also, you can do none of this (cancelling, etc) on a weekend. They only have customer service hours Mon-Fri. Not very service oriented. Suggest you all cancel and not vacay hold for extended service holds. Less hassle.

CenturyLink response

Hello, Chip. I'm sorry to hear that we have been unable to activate your services from vacation hold in the past. We would hate to lose you as a customer. If you send us a message on here, I would be happy to help you in anyway I can.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: May 18, 2019

The internet constantly goes in & out with no reason. We have had issues for years and the technicians (who are great) will come out and fix it for a time. It usually acts up within a month or so. The call center always wants to run this or that to which 9 times out of 10 is not going to fix the problem. The company needs to listen to its techs when it comes to how to solve some of the issues consumers are having. We have the highest speed internet we can get, which means it costs more. It is just too bad that the internet won't stay on for a consistent amount of time.

We are having the issue again and decided we would wait it out a few days to see if the problem corrected itself. It is not fixed and when we tried to contact the call center which the girl was very nice, she said that the system was down and that we would have to call back in an hour or so when their system is back up. At my workplace, if our system is down we don't tell the customer to call us we call them back once it's up. So we can not get a work order started to be able to fix our almost monthly internet issue. I will hope that eventually in the future it will get better. The insane part about our internet issues is that our neighbor who has exact same internet has no issues.

CenturyLink response

Hello. I can definitely understand why you would be upset with the chronic issues you have been experiencing. I would be more than happy to help you get this matter escalated so we can assist you in getting this permanently resolved. All you need to do is send us a message on here and I can get started.

Original review: May 17, 2019

I upgraded my speed from 7 to 10 mbps and modem no longer functioned. Called help line and after an hour on phone they said they would send me a new one. It was dead on arrival. Would not even power up. Called again and they sent another one. This one would not connect to the internet even after 1 1/2 hours of talking to a tech. Also none of the ethernet ports lit up when a cable was plugged into them. They assured me this was normal - I know better. They said they would hand it off to the engineers and they would resolve the issue. Got a text on my phone telling me the issue should be resolved now. Now I not only can't connect to the internet, I also can't get into the modem setup pages. I will be calling again in the morning. This has been going on for a week now.

CenturyLink response

Hello, John. I'm so sorry we haven't been able to get this resolved for you as of yet. This is definitely unacceptable and we should be providing modems to you that work properly. If you send us a message on here, I would be more than happy to assist you in getting this resolved.

Original review: May 17, 2019

I have had their service for about 4 years. I never get a bill until my service is in disconnect. They then charge you 2 months to turn back on and you have restore fees. The idiot that signed me up used his own phone number as my act number instead of mine so getting to their website has been misery and they won't change it. If you pay with a debit card there is an extra charge. They are expensive for what you get. As soon as I move, I'm changing services. $111.00 if you are late $200 for an advanced month for internet. No tv etc just internet. Insane.

CenturyLink response

Hello, Jessie. I can definitely understand why you would be upset and I'm sorry you haven't been getting your bills. I'm also sorry that the correct account number isn't associated with your account. I can help you get this resolved along with any other CenturyLink issues you are having if you send us a message on here.

Original review: May 17, 2019

I was with CenturyLink for approx. 13 years. Last year I really got a bit fed up with their internet performance. Actually, over time with them I'd begin to experience some profound buffering and latency periods with their internet. Now, I need to make it clear that I am not calling out a specific technician. The first visit we had last year was actually a bit bizarre. That guy claimed that it was our responsibility to locate where the line coming in from the Nad entered the home. I am interjecting the fact that I have been paying CenturyLink every month for "line guard", later converted to be included in the "At Ease" service, for a total of, again,13 years. I am 66 and was unsuccessful in my efforts to locate a entry point for the line.

The next technician did spend about three hours here changing things on the outside line. But, he even he said it was not 100%. His intentions were to follow up with "Engineering" and discuss the problem here. Well, the ball got dropped. I became ill in 2019 and required two surgeries. I never heard back from the second technician. Recently I felt better and was ready to pick up my still ongoing CenturyLink situation. But, on the same day technician three was scheduled to arrive (5/9/19) I actually called Comcast-Xfinity and just had their "blast" 150 MBS installed. I was only getting 8MBS (all I could get here) from CenturyLink and I felt that even if by some miracle CenturyLink would fix the line instability issue it really was not worth it anyway. I will retain my land line with CenturyLink but will be cancelling the internet come Monday (5/13/19). I live in Hampton, TN.

It is important to express that despite maintaining inside line coverage on my account for eons (13 years) as well as having an expectation that CenturyLink would automatically cover any "outside" line issues I was unable to get my ongoing and long standing problem with "line instability” and unreliable internet ever repaired. The company was not going to reline any portion of the lines servicing us. We were literally left to feel that we somehow had to initiate any repair here ourselves. It was all clearly "bizarre". I am also sending a copy of this to Centurylink escalations.

Addendum: They never made it clear just where on the lines this "instability" was. The first technician said it was inside, the second technician said it was at the NAD and on the outside lines he went to work on. He was out there a long time but everything he tried did not rectify the problem. We never did get the problem taken care of. We kept being told on phone calls to CenturyLink by agents who tested our service that the trouble was "line instability".

CenturyLink response

Hello, Karen. I'm sorry that we weren't able to get your internet issues resolved in a more timely manner and we lost you as an internet customer. I would be happy to investigate this for you and see what happened with that repair if you send us a message on here.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 16, 2019

I have been with CenturyLink for about 5 years now at 3 different locations and it never works right. It goes down at least once a month and when it is working it is slow. Can’t watch movies without the buffering every few minutes. I have called so many times and I just get excuses each time with a promise it will get better but it never does. What is wrong with this company? I am looking for another company but it hard to find.

CenturyLink response

Hello Betty, we're sorry to hear that you're having issues with your service, and that you haven't received the help in the past to get the issue resolved. If you'd like help with this, please reach out to us here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 14, 2019

I am very unhappy that I had someone enter my gate to my backyard when I had already cancelled my connection and had a cancellation confirmation number. He did not knock at my front door and I was not dressed for visitors. I will be putting a lock on my gate today.

CenturyLink response

Hello. I'm sorry to hear that our tech arrived despite you cancelling your connection. I would be happy to investigate this to see what happened and send coaching. Send us a message on here and I'll get started.

Original review: May 12, 2019

Accepted a DirecTV offer but when installed did not receive the free channels offered. Cannot reach someone at CL to work out a solution. Communication from CenturyLink to DirecTV is not what I was offered and ordered. Loyalty dept said I was due the offer but only gave three months, not the 12 months offered of free premium channels.

CenturyLink response

Hello, Delores. I'm sorry you didn't receive what you were offered. I would be more than happy to investigate this for you and see exactly what we can do for you. Send us a message on here and I can get started.

Original review: May 12, 2019

I have been with CenturyLink for approximately six months. At first, the internet service was fairly reliable. Over the past few months, my internet loses signal at least 3-4 times per day. This is a major nuisance because I do some of my work remotely from home. To their credit, CenturyLink did decrease my bill for last month. But, the problem persists and I am completely dissatisfied. I had better internet service using dial up in 1998.

CenturyLink response

Hello, Laura. I'm so sorry that you have been experiencing so many drops in your service. It sounds profoundly frustrating. I would be more than happy to investigate this for you and see what's going on. Send us a private message and I can get started.

Original review: May 11, 2019

The service is horrible, customer service is horrible. I called in annually to cancel, and you reduced my bill by half. Even cutting my bill in half for a year every year for 3 years, is still not worth it for the services that are provided. I found new service, and I just called to cancel today. I will now be happy and bring my modem to the trash can where it belongs.

CenturyLink response

Hello, Scott. I'm sorry to hear that we lost you as a customer. We should have been working with you to improve the service you are receiving. I would recommend checking to make sure you aren't leasing that modem if you are planning on tossing it out. If you would like me to look into that for you or if you change your mind about disconnecting, please send us a message on here and I can help you out.

Original review: May 11, 2019

I have tried to find out why I only get 1 music channel instead of 100 channels. I have not gotten anything but questions like; what's your name, what's your account#?? Every question they ask they have the answer to. I am 74 years old and I can still count to 100. The channels are 5100 which works 5101 thru 5200 which don't work {blank screen} ends with 5201 which is the same as 5100. I think that data entry or program is wrong. I don't even like the music on the 1 channel I get. Help!!!

CenturyLink response

Hello, Daniel. I would be happy to help you figure out what is going on with your music channels. However, I would also need information like you mentioned in order to find your account and see what's going on. If you would like me to assist you, send us a message on here and I can get started.

Original review: May 11, 2019

We have been a customer of CenturyLink for about 10 years at this point. We do have a choice and internet providers. There are four in our area and we have chosen CenturyLink because up until a little over a year ago we had nothing but good things to say about that. Now the internet might not be the fastest however you know it's pretty decent. It never reaches the speeds that they say that we're getting in our package no matter when we check but we still usually can do what we need to do.

My husband who deals with them keeps having to call and haggle over the price because we had asked to step down to a lower package because we don't use our house phone and twice we had been told it was done. Then we get a huge bill. It wasn't done. Our home phone still doesn't work and they want to shut off our service. So he calls he gets a hold of a really nice agent who tells him they're going to step us down because why should existing customers pay twice as much for the same service as new customers. And we were supposed to get a $100 credit on our bill and she told us not to pay our bill until we got that $100 credit.

Stone 2 days before the due date of the bill our service got shut off. So I get online realizing what happens look for the credit it wasn't there I still pay the bill in total. Then the next morning the internet still not being on I go on chat and speak to Cory ** about getting it turned back on. Corey ** tells me that they closed my account completely and in order to do something I had to sign up for a whole new package. They also told me that there was no just Internet Packages available in the area and that the cheapest one was the same price as our old one. I asked if we could just turn the old package on and I could allow my husband to call and talk to somebody because I was at work and I was getting very busy but they said no our internet would not turn back on until I gave another $75 and that it would be back on that day. Well all of that was a lie.

I gave the $75 on top of pay my bill and now we're in that can't get turned on for almost a whole week. So my husband calls. He offers to send screenshots of the chat to prove to them what this person did and how they lied and they told him about those chat agents don't really work for CenturyLink. Well my question is is how on Earth is a company allowing someone else to make decisions in their name and not claiming responsibility for what they've done. So the bottom line is the service is pretty decent however you have any issues buckle up 'cuz it will be a bumpy ride. It is never easy to just get a hold of someone and have an issue taken care of. And it'll take you an hour and a half to get to the person that you know can just flip the switch of the computer and fix it and then they still won't do it. They'll still make you wait no matter what.

CenturyLink response

Hello Deanna, we're sorry to see that the experience you had with our company caused you to lose service and faith in our practices - we'd like to assist you with this issue, and answer any other questions you may have. Just let us know if you'd like our help by responding here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: May 11, 2019

I am very frustrated that every month sometimes twice a month or more I get an automated Email from MARLIE stating our payment is late when in fact it is not. CenturyLink 800 customer service cannot explain why we get this Email and verify every time our account is paid in full. VERY FRUSTRATING, they are the only company that provides landline service and they know it so they don't seem to care.

CenturyLink response

Hello Lin we're sorry to hear this billing issue hasn't been resolved yet - we'd like to look into this for you, and answer any questions you may have. Just send us a private response and we'll take it from there. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: May 10, 2019

Our internet has been down at least once a week for the entire 6 months we have had CenturyLink. It is nearly down more than it is up. We have gotten three new modems because of them and I even had to buy another laptop because they wanted to blame it but it didn't help. This is the worst company I have ever seen in my life and it's not getting any better.

CenturyLink response

Hello Cindy we're sorry to hear that your service isn't meeting your needs with consistent issues - we'd be happy to help with this, and answer any other questions you may have. Just let us know if you'd like the assistance by responding to us here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: May 10, 2019

If I could give zero stars I would. I have been with them for 5 years and they have been tolerable until 3 weeks ago. I spent over 9 hours on the phone or chat with them and I finally gave up. My account information keeps getting deleted from their database somehow and they never seem to be able to resolve it. Even when I became a customer was wrong and kept changing. I spent 3 hours on chat with them and was told it was being escalated to be resolved. I gave it the 48 hours that they said it would take (up to) in order to fix. When I called back they wanted me to go through the same troubleshooting and I refused. I then spent 3 hours being sent back and forth between finance and tech. Tech would say my internet doesn't work because I didn't pay (which I did and my bank account proves it) and finance would say it was paid.

3 hours of being passed back and forth it was finally resolved. Well my internet would only work a few minutes at a time and I contacted tech support again and got the same thing with my account info not matching. I decided to cancel. I called to cancel and the tech was arguing with me when I declined to be sent to tech to resolve the issue. He said, "Well it won't take 3 hours and it is because your account isn't paid." I told him I didn't want to argue with Jim and to just cancel my service at which time he hung up on me. I called back and now none of my verifying information was there, my SSN, my phone number, all was gone. The second girl was rude and horrible as well but at least she got the service cancelled. This company has to have the worst customer service. It is a tie on what is worse their internet or their customer service. I will never use them again.

CenturyLink response

Hello Tina, we're sorry to hear this was the experience you've had with us over the phone, and with your service, and that you're no longer a customer of ours. We'd be happy to address any other concerns you may still have - just reach out to us privately and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: May 10, 2019

I've been ran through every department and every person they can possibly push me to. I have been dealing with a customer service issue for 3 months and still do not have it resolved. Many people within their team have agreed that I should be compensated for their mistake but no one can seem to make that happen. I wouldn't waste your time or your money with this company. It's sad that to some, it's the only option. Whatever happened to the customer being important?

CenturyLink response

Hello Caroline, we're sorry to see your experience with us has been less than positive - we'd be happy to take a look into whatever had you calling in. Just let us know if you'd like our help by responding here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: May 10, 2019

I've had nothing but appalling customer service with this company since opening an internet only account with them. Charges were purposely hidden and I was outright lied to when calling in to inquire about them. These lies led to late charges continuing to be levied on every bill from the start of my service. No matter how polite I was when calling in to inquire the reason why, I was only met with contempt, denial, deceit, and stonewalling. This occurred at every level, from the first customer representative all the way up the line. I have never witnessed customer service so poor as to be considered an outright belligerent attack of a new customer.

I cannot imagine how this company stays in business treating their customers this way. It's no wonder after they keep destroying their reputation that they must change their name. After this experience, I don't care what they change their name too, I'll never do business with them again. To those who claim 5-star service with this company, I call BS. There is no way you are a customer--more like an employee.

CenturyLink response

Hello Charles, we apologize that the experiences you've had with your account's billing and our customer service has led you to leave our company. We'd be happy to address any concerns you may still have, just let us know if you'd like our help by responding here and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: May 10, 2019

I have been a CenturyLink customer for over 2 year now, and never made a late payment. I recently moved and needed a phone line and jack installed in my new home. I had already moved my service address on 4/3/19 and was given a confirmation. Was given an installment date of 5/6/19. My husband had to take off work in order for this to be done. But they never showed. We called again to figure out the issue. They scheduled to come out that following Thursday, 5/9/19. Again they never showed.

I contacted Century Link again but was told they didn't have an answer for me and I would have to wait even longer for installment. However, they have kindly charged me for the service, although I have not had service for over a month. I'm already receiving bills for an installment that never happened. CenturyLink has not only neglected us, but is not providing service, taking my money. I've never been so disappointed in a company. We are out money, for the two days that had to be taken off of work, and the money I've paid without service. Now I will have to terminate my service and find a new internet provider. Plus, I will be out for the money, as they are refusing to issue a refund.

CenturyLink response

Hello, Sterling. I can definitely understand why you would be upset and I'm sorry we haven't been able to install your services as of yet. I would be happy to investigate what is causing the delay as well as make sure you aren't charged for any time with out service. All you need to do is send us a message on here and we can get started.

Original review: May 10, 2019

To start, I was a CenturyLink High Speed Internet customer for approximately 6 years. When I started my account, I had CenturyLink come to my home to allow my account to run on a single phone jack in the home, leaving the remaining phone jacks to run with another account. I was not charged for this and the technician that came out remarked to me, "I didn't really have to do anything, so I'm going to waive my fee." I stayed with CenturyLink for longer than I should have because I believed incorrectly that they offered superior service in my area, at a better cost.

Fast forward to this year: There has never been a single point in my service where I have gotten the advertised speed which I subscribe to (40 Mbps). This is common, but what is not common is I usually got about 18 Mbps, which is drastically lower than the speed I paid for. When I contacted CL customer support, the people I would speak to would have me run the proprietary speed test on their website, which would register 40 Mbps, but if I ran any other speed test on the internet, it would register at 18 Mbps or lower. There is a technical reason for this which in my work experience I am well aware of.

When I asked specific technical questions as to this point, the customer service reps have never been able to answer questions in a way which demonstrates that they understand how the internet actually works. The underlying frustration for me was that I did not sign up for CL to connect to their servers, but to access the internet as a whole at the speed I am paying for, across every service (within reason), but they were unable or unwilling to provide me the service I was paying for.

The proverbial straw which broke the camel's back was approximately 2 weeks ago when I needed to move my modem/router to a new jack. I contacted CL and explained the situation, that I only have one jack which is active on my account, and I need the other jacks activated (as the other account in my home was no longer active). I encountered a rep who could not fathom what I was talking about, but got me to a rep who knew exactly what needed to be done, but were unable to do the actual work order. They transferred me to another rep, who then told me that I would have to install new jacks, which would come to a cost of $500+. This seemed absurd, as to activate one single jack required no actual work according to their technician, so to reverse this process should not be any different.

Additionally, if I were to move out of my home and someone else moved in, the person who moved in would be able to activate an account on all the jacks in the home with no issue. The rep wouldn't budge and kept making statements which demonstrated that they basically had no idea as to what had been done before or what needed to be done now.

What was even worse was that the rep tried to sell me faster internet, and when I explained that I had never once gotten the advertised speed, they blamed my modem/router, which is a Netgear device which is fully compatible with CL (though they do not offer tech support on, understandably, as that would involve more advanced training, etc), and far more advanced than the cheap modem/router combos that CL charges customers for. It's incredibly frustrating to have more technical knowledge than the person that is paid to be knowledgeable in their subject and is the gatekeeper to resolving your concern.

When I cancelled my account, the rep who I contacted was very pleasant, but the damage was done. There is a larger, cable internet service provider in my area which I have been apprehensive about for years, but at this point I was willing to give them a shot, as CL had shown that they were unwilling to keep me as a customer. I got service through this larger provider, and I am paying less for 150 Mbps. Checking the speed, I am actually getting closer to 160 or 170, even during peak hours. When my house was built, cable wasn't a common thing, so there are no coaxial cable jacks in my house, but this other internet service provider was willing to come out, install them, and none of this is at any cost to me whatsoever.

In summary, there will be areas of the country where CL is the best option, but if I can avoid using them I will continue to do so. I recommended them to friends for years, but will now caution against their use because of my experiences and poor customer service.

CenturyLink response

Hello, Samuel. I'm so very sorry that you had to go through this and that we lost you as a customer. We definitely should have worked with you on getting the jacks activated and getting you the internet speed you were signed up for. I am also sorry that our customer service agents didn't provide you with the customer service that you deserved as a loyal customer. If you have any questions or concerns in the future, please don't hesitate to send us a message.

Original review: May 10, 2019

I pay my bill on time and the payment clears my bank and I regularly receive deferred payment letters stating that my payment is late. When I call it when I get off work I receive a message on the phone saying they are closed. This is the worst and most disorganized company I have ever done business with.

CenturyLink response

Hello, Bill. I'm sorry you keep getting these past due notices. I would be happy to go over your bill and see exactly what's going on if you send us a message on here. I look forward to working with you!

Original review: May 8, 2019

My elderly father and I cancelled his service in November - he had signed up through AT&T and we cancelled the entire bundle at the AT&T store where they assured us that all was cancelled and sent us to UPS to mail equipment back. Since UPS would not take the CenturyLink device, we called Century Link to see if they wanted it back. Couldn't get them on the weekend, called back multiple times - at one point they said the system was down, they struggled to identify the device and his account but eventually we got a mailing label to send it back and were assured that all was cancelled.

6 months and many phone calls, hold time and transfers later, we are still being told he must pay for at least the month of December although they have pared back most of the charges since. They insist there are no records of cancellation but at the same time say that the service was discontinued and then reinstated when he paid what he thought was his last bill. We have spent a ridiculous amount of time on this and have never gotten a consistent story. My father is worried they will harm his credit and feels like he is being asked to pay for services he cancelled just to avoid that. Although the customer service reps we've spoken to have been polite, they seem to have limited information, roles and authority even after speaking to a supervisor.

CenturyLink response

Hello, Katrina. I can definitely understand why you would be upset. Anyone would be if they were given incorrect information about the disconnect process. I would be happy to investigate this for you and see what I can find out. All you need to do is send us a message on here. I look forward to working with you!

Original review: May 8, 2019

I had an appointment set up as a new customer for fiber install. The tech showed up within the window but sadly it's all downhill from here. After a few hours of the tech making a number of calls for assistance I was left with a partial install but no service. The tech indicated they would have another person out on Monday and gave me the same 9-1 window. Monday I called to confirm the appointment as I had not received the automated confirmation call. I called and after extensive wait, I was transferred multiple times to different areas and people eventually being disconnected.

After calling back and on hold for 45 minutes I finally connected with someone who actually took the time to figure out what was going on (thank you Charlie) but after all of that I was told they could not schedule an appointment and at some time I would receive a call from engineering when they had time to review the ticket. I am still waiting for this call so I can have my install finished, sadly I have a feeling this call will never come.

CenturyLink response

Hello Michael, we apologize that this has been your experience with us, and that your service hasn't been installed as scheduled. We'd be happy to take a look into this for you, and answer any questions you may have. Just respond to us here privately, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: May 7, 2019

Trying to get Autopay reactivated after one of my credit cards expired has been so terrible that it is now laughable. Today was my fifth call with the company, and now a third late fee. The representatives continue to tell me that everything is set up correctly, but then I get a new paper notice every month that my account is delinquent in payment. I wish I had done way more research in choosing another provider.

CenturyLink response

Hello, Jeffrey. I can definitely understand why you would be frustrated. It shouldn't take this long to get your autopay updated and I'm sorry that it has. I would be happy to investigate this for you and see what's taking so long. All you need to do is send us a message on here.

CenturyLink expert review by ConsumerAffairs

CenturyLink was founded 1968 and is now the third largest DSL provider in the United States. The company provides Internet, television, home security and home phone services. It also partners with Verizon to offer cell phone service. Customers receive discounts for subscribing to multiple CenturyLink services.

• International plans: CenturyLink offers reduced rates for calling select countries in Central and South America. They also have plans for other international call and plans specifically for calling Canada.

• Extra features: Consumers can choose a plan with a wide variety of features, including call forwarding, caller ID, three-way calling, voicemail and more.

• Refer-a-friend: CenturyLink’s refer-a-friend program rewards consumers when someone signs up for a new service using an existing customer’s referral link. If the new customer remains with the company for two months, both parties receive a gift card worth up to $75, depending on the type of service the new customer selects.

• Online support: The Guidance Center section of CenturyLink’s website has tools to help customers with questions or problems. If customers can’t solve the problem on their own, they can easily make a service call request from the same page on the website.

• Best for: CenturyLink is best for consumers who want to bundle multiple services.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs