formerly Qwest

Compare Offers
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.20/5

CenturyLink is a network provider for residential and business needs. CenturyLink has global services and bundling options for internet and phone plans. The company works to provide you with the right digital services for your budget and needs.

Shop and compare internet deals

See local offers on Find Your Internet

Shop Now

Shop and compare internet deals

See local offers on Find Your Internet

Shop Now

CenturyLink Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CenturyLink?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about CenturyLink?

Original review: March 17, 2020

My DSL light on my modem went out on 3/16/20. I called Century Link Computer Support Service Department for help on 3/17/20. Ms. ** took my call. She troubleshoot my computer from her end as well as from my end. The process took an hour to resolve. Throughout the entire process, Ms. ** remained calm, respectful and professional. Ms. ** is extremely talented, gentle and humble human being. My computer is working great now! Thank you so much for your excellent help. I enjoyed your service. I hope that I will always run into you whenever I call. I also hope that you get promoted to a supervisory position. Because you are so good at what you do. Keep up the good work!

CenturyLink response

Hello Florence. I am happy to hear about your positive experience with our company. We wanted to let you know that if you had any questions or concerns for us in the future, you can reach out to us here, or at any of the following contact options:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/CenturyLink/
Twitter - twitter.com/CenturyLinkHelp

Contact Us - www.centurylink.com/home/help/contact.html

Thank you for your time and have a great rest of your week.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

No phone service at restaurant during busiest holiday season. Reported on Mon. And no repair available until Fri. Took 24 hrs. To get call forwarding completed to my cell phone correctly! Tony **, repair person, and another tech finally arrived, they worked a couple of hours to untangle the rats nest in the dry rotted phone box outside our building. Built rest. In 1997 and problems throughout 22 years. Fixed w/bandaids but Tony took time and fingers crossed fixed problem long term this time. It was almost worth the 5 day wait if it holds!

CenturyLink response

Hello Elizabeth. I am sorry about how long it took to get your service repaired but I am glad to hear that Tony and crew got it fixed for you. If you do need assistance please feel free to reach out to us here or any of the below contact options.

Facebook - www.facebook.com/CenturyLink/
Twitter - twitter.com/CenturyLinkHelp

Contact Us - www.centurylink.com/home/help/contact.html

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2019

I had someone come a few weeks ago to repair my wi-fi because I could not get any of my devices to work after the electricity went off. It was repaired and the internet and Alexa dot worked fine. I found out later that I could not connect my printer, doorbell, or nook to the wi-fi. I called and talked with Ralph today and he had it fixed in a few minutes. He was so helpful and nice. I was very pleased. I just don't know where I can fill out an evaluation on his work, so I decided I would write a review.

CenturyLink response

Hello J. thank you for taking the time to post feedback on your experience with Ralph - we'd be happy to pass along your commendation, just reach out to us here for further help.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

I love up to 100 mg internet, but I don't think I will ever have gig speed unless I live in a large city like Mpls or St. Paul. It's been like 4 years since gig speed came out and CenturyLink has not expanded to smaller cities. CenturyLink is losing a lot of money, these phone lines are old technology. You need fiber optic lines.

CenturyLink response

Hello Craig, we're happy to hear that our high speed 100mbps package is meeting your needs - if you have any questions about your account or service, then please let us know by responding to us here. We look forward to working with you!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

I'm old. My house is old??? Tech couldn't find any of the land lines into my house that would work for my internet so he plugged it in next door. Works fine with a booster in my house...my old house. But isn't there anyway my box can come home? I have no cable or landline because I'm old...really old. And no $$$$. Bad enough I have to share my dinner with my old dog. Because we're old...really old. And have no $$$$.

CenturyLink response

Hello, Carin. That's certainly unusual and I'm sorry that this happened. Let me see what I can find out and what we can do to get the equipment set up properly. Send us a message on here and I can get started.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Aug. 4, 2020

CenturyLink is the worst company. Their customer service is terrible. This company is a mess. Do yourself a favor and find any other company for your internet needs. A courier pigeon would be more effective in relaying information than relying on this ineffective, mess of a company.

CenturyLink response

Hello we're sorry to see that you feel this way about our service Lila - we'd like to change your opinion. Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns by reaching out to us here and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: July 31, 2020

The most horrible company to deal with. Phone service repair needed for 2 1/2 months. On day of scheduled repair no show, call or text. Only communication from them is the monthly bill. After 2 attempts for a technician called 4 times. I stayed home from 8 am to 5 pm as the appointment time said. No show! Disconnected twice. After an hour of attempts finally reached a representative who said phone service would be repaired by 7 pm. Now 8:25 pm. No service. I have been with CenturyLink over 35 years. I’ve never had this issue with CenturyLink until May 2020. Will call again tomorrow to see if I can get a representative that will get this issue resolved.

CenturyLink response

Hello Diane we are sorry to hear you're having issues getting helped with your phone service - we'd be happy to look into this for you, and answer any other questions you may have. Just let us know if you would like assistance, and respond to us here.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: July 29, 2020

I live in downtown Boise and CenturyLink only offers less than 1MBS upload speeds! What?! You can not do anything with that. Well, actually you can upload a video that is 500mb from YouTube in about 3-4 hours! Before you purchase service verify with a customer service rep the upload speeds in your area as they only tell you and are transparent about download speeds upfront. Its upload speeds that matter, do not make the mistake I made. I had good customer support from CenturyLink but have switched providers as less than 1MBS upload speed is extremely slow, outdated, and does not fit my needs on any level. I now have 20MBS upload speed for not too much more of a price difference. It's like going from a Pinto car to a Porsche. That same 500mb video from Youtube to upload 1-2 minutes. :)

CenturyLink response

Hello Erik we understand the need for faster upload speeds, and are sorry to hear it's not available for your home. If you have any questions regarding your closed account, or our service, please let us know by responding to us here and we'll be happy to help.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: July 28, 2020

CenturyLink’s service in Colorado Springs is absolutely awful. The best they can provide us is 7mbs, and service drops 3-4 times daily, with just one device connected to WiFi. This is the worst we have ever had, and when we call “customer service”, we routinely get disconnected. When we try to use their chat feature, it’s unresponsive. They are awful. Use someone else!

CenturyLink response

Hello Rich, I am sorry the service is not working well for you. If you would like me to take a look at the account and see if there is something I can do for you, please respond to me here.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: July 27, 2020

We have had service through CenturyLink since the late 1990's and never thought we would change providers, but they have truly lost my support: 2.5 hours trying to work with tech support and never getting more than 1 MB throughput. Getting hung up on after 2.5 hours because at 6 PM they closed and dropped my call. After business hours our upload speeds go back to 10 MB. Start work on Monday and I am back down to 1 MB. Finally talk to a manager after a 40 minute wait and am being told that 10 MB doesn't support online video calls despite the fact that I have been doing online video calls for 4 years without an issue until the last two weeks. My husband gets told that we need to shell out $296 for new modem and service call to get the 100 MB. Soonest he could get anyone out here is Tuesday, but if we were a new customer they could be out on Monday. Never once have I felt validated or valued by this company.

CenturyLink response

Hello Kathi, I am sorry for the service issues you are having. I will be happy to look over the account and see what I can do for you. If you would like me to do so, please feel free to respond here.

CenturyLink author review by ConsumerAffairs

CenturyLink was founded 1968 and is now the third largest DSL provider in the United States. The company provides Internet, television, home security and home phone services. It also partners with Verizon to offer cell phone service. Customers receive discounts for subscribing to multiple CenturyLink services.

• International plans: CenturyLink offers reduced rates for calling select countries in Central and South America. They also have plans for other international call and plans specifically for calling Canada.

• Extra features: Consumers can choose a plan with a wide variety of features, including call forwarding, caller ID, three-way calling, voicemail and more.

• Refer-a-friend: CenturyLink’s refer-a-friend program rewards consumers when someone signs up for a new service using an existing customer’s referral link. If the new customer remains with the company for two months, both parties receive a gift card worth up to $75, depending on the type of service the new customer selects.

• Online support: The Guidance Center section of CenturyLink’s website has tools to help customers with questions or problems. If customers can’t solve the problem on their own, they can easily make a service call request from the same page on the website.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team