CenturyLink

formerly Qwest

Compare Internet Service Providers

Research top Internet Service Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Have been a Qwest phone and then Centurylink phone customer for 13 years. I just spent 4 months dealing with Century Link regarding my phone service which I asked to be changed to voicemail anywhere only in Nov 2016 but they didn't set up the voicemail system. Then in January 2017, after realizing it was not set up, I called and they did set it up but they, for some strange reason had changed my billing address so I didn't get invoices (I was out of town and getting mail forwarded to didn't realize). Then they starting charging me for full phone service backdating to Nov. Finally today after speaking with 3 different people for over an hour, it has been sorted out but I canceled all service because I have ZERO faith that they can get it right. If you have any other choice besides them, go there. STAY AWAY from Century Link.

This is by far one of the worst companies I have dealt with. The TV service freezes all the time, service techs come and fixed nothing on 4 or more times. You can't watch TV in HD and record in HD at the same time. Internet is so slow, and when I cancelled my account I was due a credit and got a bill instead 2 months later for service in my home I was not even receiving. I didn't even have their equipment anymore, I had sent it all back in a box they sent me with their label on it! No matter what they quote you on the phone the bill will ALWAYS be higher and then they tell you "well we can't honor what a sales representative tells you." RUN! Do not use this company.

I had a business internet/phone service w/ CenturyLink. Not exaggerating, every I mean every single time I called they told me one thing and did another. The prices I was given never reflected on the bills. They never had records of me calling, they told me early termination of my contract would be $200 but for every month I had the services they would deduct $20. When I terminated my services early they said there was no such thing that I owed a $300 early termination fee. I paid it just to end my service with them. Then they said they never received the equipment back. I had to literally beg them to get a shipping label because we need to use the one they send to us. I asked if I could just return it to a store and I couldn't do that either. After many calls and time wasted my services were terminated.

Whenever you call this place they transfer you around about five times until someone will listen and lies to you, tells you what you want to hear to get you off the phone. Then when you call back they say "who did you speak to, what dept/ id#" literally what is their SSN#. Long story short no accountability for anything. If you want to avoid wasting your time and losing money DO NOT CONSIDER CENTURYLINK for any business/residential needs. Good Luck!

Unfortunately there are only 2 Internet Providers in my area. Spectrum and CenturyLink. I was offered a $19.95 for 10k mgb PROMO and my first bill is for $101.15. I took my bill to the nearest store on Saturday and I was told that I was set up wrong that should be in # 10 (whatever that means). She went on to write on my bill that I should not be paying more than $45.00 plus tax a month. How could my bill be $101.15?

Now they are telling me that to knock down $10.00 additional dollars I have to go on automatic pay. Now would you allow a Company that lies, lies, lies to mess with your credit cards or bank account? What the hell is this "give me you ss#" every time you call with your account#, telephone# associated to the account. I'm going to leave work early and give the store near me one more chance to fix this. Also what the hell is 1 year contract so they can screw you over anytime they want. In my area we have a TV station (Channel 9) that helps out the consumer. With the nice reviews on this page, I'm sure they would love to the nice little piece on CENTURYLINK. If my bill doesn't get fixed at the store. I'm done.

I had given CenturyLink another chance after 10 years thinking maybe they had made the effort to satisfy consumers. I was sadly mistaken and paying the price, again. Several years ago I had moved to a new location and did not need the internet, I cancelled my CenturyLink subscription, and a representative came and picked up the equipment. A couple of months later I got a bill for $327.00 of un-returned equipment fee. After spending countless hours on the phone trying to get the fees cleared up, it showed up on my credit report and there it stayed for 7 years. Now, once again I cancelled my subscription because of poor service and connection problems and I was sent a bill for un-returned equipment that I sent back to them immediately. After calling CenturyLink on countless lunch hours I still do not have an answer. Please, please, please do not use CenturyLink. They are so bad.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CenturyLink?

My family has been Centurylink customers for several years. We had both internet and phone service through them. Even though we paid for high speed internet, on several speed tests we never reached over a 2.8 speed. We had made several calls to customer service and each person had a different answer, so we were forced to accept the service that we had. Where we live there were not many service providers at the time we moved there, so that is why we were stuck with Centurylink. Now that the city has grown, more providers have come available. So we decided to change providers due to the high cost, poor performance and poor customer service that we were receiving from Centurylink.

We have scheduled to change providers on a Tuesday and had called the previous Friday to inform CenturyLink that we would no longer need their services starting on that Tuesday. They immediately discontinued our service, locking us out of our email account and without internet service. My husband called customer service and inquired to why the service had been cut off before the date we requested, the representative could not give us an answer and my husband was transferred to two other people who had the same answer.

So we requested that the service be turned back on until that date and were told that they could not do that. No further explanation. I would highly recommend NEVER using Centurylink. If you need to use the internet you would be better off going to your local restaurant or retailer that offered free Wifi and use your smartphone. It would be a lot faster than the service you get from Centurylink. I am giving them 1 star as that is the lowest rating you can give... But truthfully they are a -10 in my book.

I have internet and telephone services with CenturyLink. I have been a customer for about 20 years, so they have given me a Customer Loyalty Discount Offer every year. It expired in March 2017, so I called CenturyLink to see what, if any discounts they would offer me. I had been paying $78.81 for 12 months in 2016. I called in March 2017 after my discount expired, and I was told by a CenturyLink employee named John from Illinois that he would increase my internet speed and give me a discount. He gave me the order #**. John told me the amount would be $56.41 the first month and then the cost would drop to $43.94 a month after that for 12 months.

I received my bill yesterday for $61.49 (not $56.41 as I was promised) I thought that it might be taxes that pushed it up, so I called to make sure the cost would drop on the next bill, but was told that John promised me something that he couldn't deliver and that my monthly charges in fact would be "around" $61.49 per month. So basically he lied to me and the sales rep from CenturyLink that I spoke with acted like that was ok that he lied to me and said, "No one can predict the taxes on your service," so basically I was stuck with the amount and his lie. I think their deceptive services should be brought to light. Thank you for your time.

Internet service has been extremely slow. They promise up to 12mbps but I only got 6mbs. Then when I call up to find out how to get better speed they quote me an upgrade of a monthly charge of $34. I said ok. Then I get the email confirming my order and they have my monthly charge at $75 and another $9 rental fee for the modem. I then call up customer service again and the man says he can't help me. "Sorry but that is the price". I said, no way, I was told specifically the price to upgrade was $34 and I would never be able to afford the $75. He's like "sorry I can't help you". I tell him that is completely illegal and fraud to quote me one price and then charge me more than double. That's FRAUD! I eventually then ask to speak to the manager. I get bumped up to speak with one of the supervisors who then did fix my bill to the $34. At least that is what he says.

I am waiting for my email confirmation. Then I will know if in fact I am getting charged the right amount. I am not happy with the company. The people on chat and on the phone don't seem to be trained well and don't seem to understand anything. The supervisor didn't seem to know that I was already sent a new modem and he didn't understand the process and just pretended to understand when I explained to him that I already got my new modem. It' seems like a Mickey Mouse operation and I don't trust them. They are deceptive. They also send out flyers saying you can get reductions in your bill but it's fraudulent marketing because they just want to sell you more crap. I think someone sued them for this deception. I recommend looking for other internet suppliers. This company is horrible.

The price is exaggerated. I have been charged for more than a year for a phone that does not work but according to them I have to take to have internet. From a plan of 35 dollars they charge me 85 dollars a month for exaggerated "charges" that are invented. This company is ridiculous. They abused me because where I live there are only two internet companies. And one is worse than the other. And needless to say that the internet goes daily, you have to turn off the router and turn it back on. And if you call to have them fixed if you drop the internet, they charge you for that service. I do not recommend it to anyone.

I had to have call forwarding added due to the home phone line being down. Today the repairs were made. A squirrel chewed through an outside phone line. I called to remove the call forwarding since the repairs were made and get any reimbursement for the charges since the problem was outside of my obligations. I have to say the customer service is HORRIBLE!!!! I called on my cell to remove the call forwarding. After spending 20 min on the phone and after being transferred 7 different times having to explain to each transfer the reason for my call plus all they needed to get me verified who I am each time, I got disconnected while on hold. I called back on the home line and it was the same old same old. I was transferred 3 more times explaining each time again till I finally got someone that could actually correct the issue.

While on hold I get disconnected yet again. Another 10 min wasted. I called back at this time I demanded to speak to a supervisor. I explained it all for now the 11th time. At this point the supervisor tells me he can't remove the call forwarding and I need to call another number but yet the last person I spoke with said he could and was removing it and issuing the credit (BTW, he never did what he said he was in the process of doing). I demanded him to handle it and I refused to dial another number to go through the entire thing again.

I wasted nearly 45 min because of incompetence. Everyone there just transfers calls so they don't have to do anything. I am highly frustrated with CenturyLink (and this is not the first time dealing with their "customer service" if that's what you wanna call it) but unfortunately they are the only option in my area otherwise I would have been a past customer long ago.

For such a large company, they have an unbelievably flawed customer service system. The second you want to cancel, be prepared to be jerked around for half a day to most likely get nowhere. If I am charged for anything at the end of this I will be dealing with canceling in on the credit card side. I will never do business with Centurylink. I have never given a business a negative review but this whole thing has been ridiculous.

All I wanted was internet to my office. The salesperson gave me one option and that was to bundle with a tv for around $70 per month. I don't need a tv in my office but, since that was the cheapest option, I proceeded to set up an account. At the end, the scheduled setup date was about 6 weeks out. I asked if I could wait on finalizing the everything until I could see if I could get something sooner. Salesperson assured me I could schedule everything and call back to cancel at anytime. I found out they had a $29.99 option so I called back to cancel the initial account and they could not find me in the system. I was transferred at least 6 times. 3 hours of my work day later I had gotten nowhere.

Now I am thinking I must have talked to a fraudulent company and given them all my personal info. My card had been charged immediately for the Directv's $20. So, I call back again. I was able to cancel with Directv and transferred to Centurylink again. They still did not find me in the system. Somehow I was being charged for stuff within minutes of setting up an account but did not exist in the system yet the next person I talk to won't let me off the phone until she confirms that I want the $29.99 offer. I said, I want to make sure the initial transaction was canceled before setting up another one. The lady kept putting me on hold when I said I need to get back to work until I finally had to hang up (which I have never done to customer service before).

By this time I am over working with CenturyLink completely. I felt suckered into a plan that I didn't need when they could have told me about the $29.99 special right away and everything would have been perfect. At this point I figure, I don't exist in the Centurylink system so I let it go. Well, now, over a month later I get a tracking number letting me know my modem is being shipped to the wrong Suite address. So, another hour on the phone being transferred around like I don't exist and they find my account under the incorrect address. They assure me that I won't be charged for the modem I didn't order that is going to the wrong address. I guess we will see. I am beyond skeptical and baffled at how this could all happen. I will continue to waste my time checking for charges on my card and doing credit checks as I do not trust the people I gave my personal info to. Unfortunate.

If I could give a minus star I would. Their customer service is terrible. When you call in, if you can talk to someone who can give you an answer, you are lucky. Otherwise they will transfer you until you are hung up on. The customer service by phone and their techs do not give you the same information, which has cost me hundreds of dollars in their mistakes because they will never give you your money back. I moved and they send a bill to my old address, even though I was set up for automatic payment withdrawal.

When I found out about the bill, the service person I talked to said they would give me a credit and they did. However, the same month they gave me a credit on my account, then sent the same amount to the collections agency. Thanks CenturyLink. Whenever you move, they put you under a different account number, you can't just transfer your service. That way when they bill you they will charge you extra fees that they like to automatically tack on, even if you have told them you don't want their custom services in the past.

Recently I cancelled my account, because there were two accounts at our house. They said no problem and cancelled my account, or so I thought. I wasn't billed for a month, but then payments just started coming out of my account again. I called them to have the problem corrected and now they are still taking money out of my account. You can't ever talk to the same person and none of them really know what they are doing. If you are thinking of using Centurylink. Good luck, because it is going to be expensive for low quality service and even worse customer service.

My experience with CenturyLink is mercifully coming to an end. After having continuing issues with failing modems and phone line problems, I am once and for all jettisoning this deeply unsatisfying service. I have paid for upgraded speed for years that never lived up to the hype. The price has slowly climbed and is well beyond what a cable connection costs for the same speed, which, by the way is like dial-up. I would never recommend this service to anyone who relies on the internet to accomplish important tasks. Sad.

February 28th, 2017 was a year that I had been with CenturyLink. They originally told me that I would not be in a contract. When I called to cancel was when I was told about the contract. December 26, 2016 I called CenturyLink to get another cable box. It went downhill from there. I have spent way too many hours talking to them trying to straighten out the fact that I wanted an additional box not technical support. I never received the box although they tried to charge me for it and a tech coming out to connect the box I never received. On March 1 I cancelled the cable and asked for wifi to be increased from 10 to 40.

March 4 my Hulu kept loading so I called Tech Support. I was still at 10 but they had me scheduled to be upgraded to 25 as there is no fiber optics in my area. Although customer service was charging me for 40. I was told the price for 25 and 40 is the same. Per customer service, the cost should be $65 per month. I received a letter showing my price was $85.00, then a second letter showing $77.00. CenturyLink is not worth the time and effort that has to go into getting things right. It's a never ending job. I am so sorry I've changed but they all appear to be the same. There should be laws against this kind of service.

CenturyLink has the worst customer service ever. And we always have slower speed than what we're paying for. Also they won't let you change your due date. We get paid the last day of every month. But if we don't pay by the 25th they will disconnect our internet. They say it's impossible to change the due date. Honestly only still with them because where I live they are the cheapest.

I have had internet service since last year with CenturyLink and it has been the slowest performing internet I have had since the days of dial up. They boast "high speed" access and advertise as high speed service with 6.0 MPS. If you call to complain, the people you speak with have such a foreign accent that you can barely understand them. The internet service they offer, IN MY OPINION, is a scam and not worth the time to even place a call to these people. It is the worst ever and when I make my last payment to them, here is what they should do. Take the money, look at the money, feel of the money, take a vacation with the money and most of all enjoy the money because it will be the last ** money you will EVER receive from me!

BEWARE of CenturyLink automatic withdrawal practices. I cancelled them over 3 months ago and only had them for 2 months because they lie. They quoted me a monthly price then charged me triple on 2 bills. I ended everything with them. I sent back all my equipment and they even sent me a $8 credit check for overpaying. Now over 3 months after cancelling and being done with them they take $339.44 out of my checking account. For NO REASON. I call them they say there is nothing they can do and to dispute it with my bank because it was taken out as a ACH/Check from my account and they can only credit back for debit or credit card payments. HELLO. Why are you taking anything out in the first place from my account?

I was placed on hold 2 times once for over 12 minutes then I hung up then next for over 20 minutes then hung up. The next call they hung up on me while transferring me to a supervisor. Horrible company. I now have to dispute this with my bank and it could take up to 10 days to get my money back. GET MY OWN MONEY BACK... BEWARE they scam people from the very start and then even after you are no longer with them...

In the 7 years I have had CenturyLink in my business and the 5 years I had them at my home has been near constant wrong billing problems. Each time we work to resolve issues has taken literally hours and multiple phone calls. I would estimate about half of our conversations have resulted in my call being dropped (hung up on?). They have cost us a lot of money in wrong bills and manpower trying to resolve issues. There are no words to describe the amount of frustration I have for this company. We have discontinued business with CL and still continue to be billed continued. How can I be rid of them??

I've had issue after issue with CenturyLink. I wasn't able to add DirecTV, because they claimed I already have it (Ridiculous). They never complete their orders. I upgraded, and they didn't complete the work - I had to escalate to get the speed they were already charging me for. Then the modem didn't work after only 2 months, and they tried to charge me for replacing it. I had to dispute that. And then when I ultimately downgraded, they did not change my bill. When I got someone on the phone, she was slow and couldn't fix the issue. First she had to "chat" with another department which took forever, and ultimately she still didn't fix the issue, she had to issue another order to fix it. I still don't even know whether it is resolved, I have to wait and see and probably call back again. Dealing with Centurylink is ridiculous!

This company sucks. They over charge. They say one thing and do another. It's not right. I have called and called trying to get a reason behind why my bill was so high never did get a answer from this place. So I have canceled CenturyLink. Was not happy with this company at all. This company over charges the consumers. Bad Business. Don't deal with this company at all.

Discontinuing service as this company is the absolute worst for customer service. I have spent at least five hours on the phone with them over four days trying to get an operator intercept set up so that when people call my parents' old CenturyLink phone number they will be directed to their new Frontier phone number. Every time I think I have someone who will do what is needed they put me on hold and suddenly I am transferred to a new person who has no idea what has happened and we start all over again.

Yesterday I was requesting to speak to a supervisor and the fellow seemed to understand and promised not to put me hold and get it done right. I trusted him and yet, now when I call their "old number" I am directed to call a new number which is not even close to the correct number. It even has a different area code than our state. I told the guy that my 88 year old mother cannot possibly call 100 of her friends and give them her new number. I am sooo frustrated with CenturyLink. The worst ever.

I have been with CenturyLink for 6 years. Since they were Qwest. I can usually call and get the price I want and the speed I want by asking for the Customer Retention Department. That happened this last time but it required a tech come out to upgrade my speed. They cannot get a tech to me for a whole month. For a 5 minute or less visit to check my modem. Completely ** service. I would use anyone else if they didn't suck so much in my area.

Every time you try to transfer your service you have to cancel the first service and start a whole new account with them. We transfer the service, they started the new service, which it was horrible. But never cancelled the old service. Called them 4 times, chatted with them 3 times, they said we escalated the issue and will be solved. After 3 months, the service still active and we are still being charged. If we don't pay it will go to collections, we really don't know what to do, and how to get out of this.

Where is the option to offer a fraction of a star? I have dealt with many service oriented companies through the years. Most were pleasant experiences. Other had issues but for the most part, they managed to resolve them. CenturyLink however, is a company that obviously has no concern with consumer satisfaction. I'll spare you the details but all I wanted to do was port a phone number to my current address, a task which I was told would be very simple and quick.

Long story short, I have been given four completion dates and all four have passed with no service. That's bad enough in itself. The phone calls to CenturyLink are another matter. One gets the impression that there is little if any communication within this company. When you talk to them, it's almost like you are speaking a foreign language to them because they can't understand simple, basic English.

This morning, I was on the phone with customer service for 1 hour and 10 minutes, mostly on hold and the rest of the time repeating answers to questions I had already been asked. After another deadline passed, I called back and spoke to this nice lady who told me to hold on, and that she would take care of this quickly. 20 minutes later, I'm still listening to cheesy elevator music! I hung up and called back, making my way through their automated answering system. This time, I spoke to someone else who told me they could take care of the problem. 25 minutes later, still on hold, I hung up again. I still have no phone service and don't when or if I will. If you have alternatives (I don't), find another company and don't waste your time with these losers.

Spent the entire day waiting for installation of internet and TV. I was willing to abandon Comcast after many years due to their lackluster service - but after being stood up, maybe not. I also called 3 times to confirm they were coming on the very day, was told yes, they never showed. When I called the 4th time at the end of the day, no one could find an answer, and despite lots of apologies, couldn't even reschedule me quickly in deference to my schedule. Oh no. So, I'll stay with Comcast. The devil you know, yes? CenturyLink is not ready for prime time.

When agreed to a "verbal contract", they offered prism TV and internet services for 12 months for $60 a month, I even saved the flier. My first bill was over $200, called to complain. They lowered but not to the price I agreed on. Every month I had to call for my bill to get fixed and every month got a different response. When it finally came time to end my contract, I called and asked for services to be discontinued. Guess what? I got a bill for a month of service without the "discounts" for $229.

When I called to complain they told me I have to pay for this bill or else I will get late fees and charges then expect another bill next month for the correct amount and maybe a credit. Why will I pay for something that I don't have anymore, I already returned my equipment at a CenturyLink office on the day after I called to cancel services. This is unbelievable. I have excellent credit score and always pay my bills on time. And now have to deal with this type of people. They are not honest, this is a big ripoff.

From the very beginning, I was not happy at all with CenturyLink. When I first called them to install the service, they kept me waiting for more than one week, and each time I called they promised to come at the evening or the second morning, but they never showed up. And I called again and also complained, but the problem were not improved or solved until after about more than one week or so, the service was set up. The internet was very slow and spotty.

For the first few months, they charged me a lot of money saying I didn't have the auto pay. After I had the auto pay, they charged about $110+ every month from my account for the service which only cost $50 when the 12 month contract ended. They should have let me know first that our contract had been over and if I would like to continue rather than charging me more money directly. For the money they have already charged and put in their own pocket, it's very hard to ask them back.

I cancelled the service a few months ago, and they told me they would mail me a return label to return the modem and it's for free. I waited and waited, till today, there is nothing mailed to me. However!!! They charged me $106.49 for the "Unreturned HSI Equipment". Come on, it is your problem, why should I pay for that??? Who wants that useless equipment? I have been wanting to give it back for a long time. And right now I'm calling the customer service, which have already taken me 30 mins waiting... BTW, each time I called, they would keep me waiting for more than 20 mins. This company is definitely having very low efficiency, productivity, reliability and trustworthiness. I will definitely never use the service from Centurylink again!!! It's really frustrated. Really frustrated...

Please be aware that once you unbundle your Verizon account with CenturyLink you are not allowed to rebundle the same account with a new phone on the same service plan. CenturyLink representatives will NOT tell you this when you unbundle. In addition - just bend over and take it if you are in an area where only CenturyLink is available for home phone and internet. Not sure who is at fault but I can't say I like either company.

We have had continual problems with CenturyLink's services and technical support for years. The rates keep rising, the services keep lessening, and they continually try to charge me for house calls when it is not needed. The internet service is continually and frequently losing connection daily. It might only be a 5 minute disconnect, but when that happens 5 or 6 times a day it tends to be very annoying. Waking up to a landline with no dial tone and having to spend over 30 minutes trying to get to a real person to get it fixed has been frustrating. We seem to lose channels, and they are replaced by channels nobody wants. When calling, it's difficult at times to understand the technical professional due to accents, and it infuriates me when I request to talk to a supervisor, and am denied; especially over my cell phone which I had to use as my landline once again was not working.

I do not want anything from CenturyLink other than an end to having to deal with them. I'll be switching to another company in a few days, but I fear that they will try to screw me over in regards to returning the modem. I'm writing this review to tell others to steer clear, no matter how good their introductory offer - you will regret doing business with them.

CenturyLink came to our neighborhood and installed fiber optic lines - we were so happy to see another option other than Comcast. The solicitor said we could have internet and tv - high speed for $120.00 a month guaranteed. Well, it wasn't. Second bill is $231.00 - called to complain and ask how and why... they gave us a $20.00 off so our amount would be 'closer' to $120 and offered a $30 gift card to offset the cost. If a Centurylink rep comes to your door - slam it shut. Oh and customer service is through a call center - not even a Centurylink representative! I've been Trumped!

Compare Home Phone Service