formerly Qwest

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.77/5
Based on 1,946 ratings submitted in the last year

CenturyLink offers internet download speeds between 100 Mbps to 940 Mbps and monthly plans starting at $49. It provides bundling services for residential and small business customers and serves 36 states. Not all states in CenturyLink’s converge area will have fiber optic options. CenturyLink breaks its internet services down into two main categories: the DSL plan and the Fiber Gigabit plan.

BOTTOM LINE

CenturyLink offers internet, home phone and TV programming services. Most internet options are best for basic internet speeds on a few devices, but the Fiber Gigabit plan is good for heavy internet users.

PROS

• Great for gamers
  • Up to 940 Mbps
  • No contracts

CONS

• Gigabit not available in all areas
  • Not available in all states

Top CenturyLink Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about CenturyLink?

We've had CenturyLink internet service in one of our Park City, UT condos for about 3 years now and we've been very happy with it. I'd highly recommend their internet service if you're looking for high speed internet.

Dan from CenturyLink came out to our home today and he installed our new internet and cleaned up outside previous cables from other companies at no charge. He was thorough, professional, patient and very receptive to questions. Highly recommend him for your installation. 5 stars!

CenturyLink internet plans

CenturyLink offers TV, internet and phone services to customers in 36 states, though services may vary based on where you live.

CenturyLink internet
    If you are only looking for internet service for your home or business, CenturyLink has two options. The CenturyLink Internet with Price for Life option makes it easy to browse the internet, stream videos, send emails and connect multiple users and devices. There are no contracts or price hikes.

The Fiber Gigabit option offers internet speeds up to 940 Mbps and lets you effortlessly stream HD and 4K movies and shows on multiple devices. Each device experiences symmetrical speeds and unlimited data.

You can select the internet speeds you need and browse plans based on what is important to you: streaming movies, listening to music, gaming or uploading videos.

CenturyLink TV
    If you are looking for an alternative to cable TV, CenturyLink partners with leading satellite providers to offer an extensive selection of TV channels and programming options. The streaming TV services do not require contracts and can be customized to your TV watching needs. CenturyLink offers makes it easy to access services and premium channels such as:
    • YouTubeTV
    • FuboTV
    • Sling
    • Starz
    • ESPN Plus
    • Fox Nation
    • Disney Plus
    • Hulu

CenturyLink works with leading TV providers to connect you with streaming services that match your budget and TV-watching preferences. Customers can sign up for CenturyLink and start a free trial through the TV provider.

Each provider offers different channel lineup options, streaming options and recording services. Many offer no-contract plans with no installation requirements. Once you’ve signed up with the provider, you can download the company’s app and start steaming through CenturyLink internet right away.

CenturyLink home phone
    CenturyLink’s home phone plans offer long-distance options and popular calling features like call waiting, voicemail, three-way calling, call forwarding and caller ID. The basic plan covers local calls, and the unlimited plan includes all of the features of basic plus local and long-distance calls. CenturyLink also offers international calling plans.
    CenturyLink bundles
    If you need internet, phone or TV packages for your home or business, CenturyLink offers bundle deals to help you combine services and save money. You can bundle two or three service options without committing to a long-term contract. Bundle options and prices vary by location.

CenturyLink internet prices

Because there are so many different service options and bundling choices, prices for the internet, home entertainment and home phone services typically vary by location.

Internet prices
    Typical prices for CenturyLink internet services are:
    • CenturyLink Internet with Price for Life: $49 a month for all speeds up to 100 Mbps
    • Fiber Gigabit: $65 a month for speeds up to 940 Mbps
    TV prices
    CenturyLink doesn’t offer streaming channels, but it connects customers with leading TV providers that do. For this reason, prices and packages vary, but the average TV streaming service offers more than 60 channels and costs anywhere between $50 to $75 a month. DirecTV, DISH and AT&T TV are $59.99 a month for 24 months.
    Home phone prices
    Home phone service with unlimited nationwide calling through CenturyLink is typically around $60 a month.
    Bundle prices
    Prices and available for CenturyLink’s bundles vary by location, but sample prices for plans are:
    • Home phone and internet: $85 a month
    • DirecTV + internet + home phone: $145 a month

Some other fees that consumers should be aware include a broadcast fee of $2.49 per month and a sports fee of $2.49 per month

CenturyLink FAQ

Is CenturyLink a good internet provider?
    Yes. CenturyLink offers fast internet speeds and the ability to choose internet programs to meet your streaming needs and budget.
    Is CenturyLink DSL or cable?
    CenturyLink offers DSL and fiber internet service.
    What does CenturyLink do?
    CenturyLink offers internet, home phone and TV programming services for residents in 36 states.
    What is CenturyLink Prism?
    Prism is CenturyLink’s premium HD TV programming service. Customers have access to premium channels like HBO, Cinemax, Showtime and Starz. The most basic Prism package starts at $44 a month.
    Can I use my own modem with CenturyLink?
    Yes. If your modem works with CenturyLink technology, you can use your own modem.
    Is CenturyLink Fiber good?
    Yes. CenturyLink Fiber offers fast internet speeds that make it easy for multiple devices to stay connected.

CenturyLink Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CenturyLink?

Original review: Dec. 25, 2020

I've had service for about 3 months. The service is reliable and the price is better than Xfinity. Their phone reps have always been very polite and respectful. It would make me a great, fair offer and I'd be off the phone in less than a minute.

CenturyLink response

Hello Loriann we're glad that your experience with us has been going well so far. However if that changes please let us know and reach out to us here for help, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2020

They are my phone company. They have gotten better over time and are doing very well with the Bandwidth, Reasonable rates for someone on a fixed income, don't do cable, too expensive and the local Mediacom office has an old grouch for our contact and they are expensive, phones do not work when the power goes out. Centurylink is the best buy for the money under 70.00 for internet & phone.

CenturyLink response

Hello Deann while we're glad to see you've been satisfied with your service so far, if that changes, please let us know by reaching out to us here and we'll be happy to help.

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2020

Wish it was faster, more dependable. With so many of us now needing to rely on internet, providers may not feel the need to be Super Good. To date it fulfills our needs. Previous provider was worse. Perhaps the area I now live in is making it harder for internet providers to be Greater.

CenturyLink response

Hello we are sorry to see that this is your experience with us, and that you have difficulties with the speeds available for your home. If you have any questions or concerns, and require assistance, please reach out to us here privately and we'll be glad to help. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

Really have liked Century Link since I first began service with them in 2017. The speed is good for me and service issues have been all but nonexistent, with only two outages in my time with them. I did upgrade once and did a change of address on my service once and it was all very easy. They do not do any high pressure contacting to try to get me to upgrade, that I like. Contact with customer support has always been good and they have been friendly. Price is comfortable for my budget.

CenturyLink response

Hello Gerry, thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback; if your experience is negative at any point, and you need assistance, please reach out to us here for help.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2020

I receive High speed internet of 40Mbps since 2017 and have not had to contact the company because of a loss of speed. I check the speed frequently and is always at or above the ordered speed. The only problem I have had with Century Link was due to a lightning strike nearby that fried a component in the Telephone box on the outside of the house.

CenturyLink response

Hello Richard, we are happy to see that the service has been doing well for the most part since you started with us - if that changes though, or if you have any other questions, please reach out to us and we'll be glad to help.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: April 5, 2021

Over a year ago, we placed an order with Century Link to upgrade our business phone lines and internet. When they switched us over to the new platform, they failed to move our phone lines which was unknown to us. CenturyLink admitted they botched up the order but to this day we are still being billed the wrong amount and due a sizable credit. After repeated emails, we still have no resolution despite being assigned a so called Advocate Team member. I even went as far as going online to try to reach out to their Advocacy VP - Stephanie Polk, to only get a response saying I had to go through my assigned team members. So much for them "ensuring you have a positive customer experience and to assist you with a timely resolution."

CenturyLink response

Hello Peggy, we are sorry to hear you're having issues getting your service and billing concerns resolved. We'd be happy to look into this for you - please just reach out to us privately and we'll take it from there.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: March 18, 2021

Right now CenturyLink has a monopoly in our area. We are supposed to have 6 mbps but we cannot even stream video or play a video game if so much as a phone is connected to our network. Their technician came out and said 12 mbps was available and we only have 6 mbps. When we asked they said that only 3 is available despite us having 6.

Same thing that happened at our old address. We signed up for 20 mbps and one day it was changed to 10 mbps without our knowledge. They were adamant that only 10 mbps was available and that 20 was NEVER available at my address. I had saved old chat transcripts and screen shots where we had 20 mbps and only when I told Centurylink I had them did they give us 20 mbps back. Centurylink has a monopoly and only gives the bare minimum and will lie about what's available in order to sell half of what you currently have or what your neighbor has. Luckily competitors are putting in fiber lines and a promising satellite service will be available mid to late 2021.

CenturyLink response

Hello Patrick, we are sorry to see that this has been your experience with our company. We'd love to change it for the positive, so if you have any additional questions or concerns, please reach out to us here and we'll be happy to help.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: March 13, 2021

If you can use someone else do so now. Most uncaring and unconcerned customer service I have ever experienced. Didn’t listen to my concerns or requests. After the 6th person and multiple contacting them finally someone listened but I was going to have to change service date because of their mistake.

CenturyLink response

Hello Pam we're sorry to see you didn't get the assistance you needed with your service request - we could understand how that'd be frustrating. If you have any lingering questions or concerns, reach out to us here and we'll be happy to help.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: March 8, 2021

Their customer service, when you can get hold of them at all, is ok. The problem is that they are not available on weekends, which is the only time I can sit around with my thumb up my butt dealing with this. I HATE wasting my time sitting on hold only to find out that their customer service office is closed, and they DO force you to sit on hold before they give out that information. They force you to go through the entire call-screening process, as well.

Moreover, they can NEVER find my account. All I want to do is to pay my bill. I do not understand why companies like this make it so hard to GIVE THEM MY MONEY! You’d think they would make it as easy as humanly possible for me to give them as much money as they want for their semi-decent services! I have had frustrating experience after frustrating experience just stealing my life by forcing me to be on hold with them, during their extremely limited operating hours. Recently, i was on hold with their customer “service” department for 2 HOURS, at which point, a recording came on saying that they had just closed and to call back!!

If I had any choice AT ALL, I would NOT use them. They are awful. The execs cannot possibly care one iota about the people whose money pays their wages, or they would not give such truly terrible service. I am so angry. I have reached a whole new level of anger I never before knew existed. My anger is so deep and so hot that it would scald the hands of satan. Which is to say, it would scald the hands of whoever made these truly stupid policies.

CenturyLink response

Hello Shawna we are sorry to see this has been your recent experience with our company - we'd love to change your mind on the impressions! Just let us know if you still need assistance by reaching out to us here, and we'll be glad to help.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: March 1, 2021

We moved into our new home in May 2020. We tried at that time to get Internet service from our only cable provider, Century Link. After nearly a month of them researching our area, I was told they do not have enough pairs to provide us with DSL at our new home. I was also told to call back in a month or so to see if the system had been upgraded. I called back in two months. After waiting a couple of weeks was told that the system still had not been updated and that the company will not invest in putting new lines to upgrade the system near our home. At this time, they did however give me the option to pay for the upgrade, or at least part of it.

The total they wanted me to invest was $3500 to help pay for the new pairs. I asked them what Century Link was going to do for me because I was investing in upgrading their system for not only myself, but for other customers. I was told nothing. I would still pay the same bill amount as everyone else, the only difference was is that I was paying to run new lines that had not been upgraded since the 80s-90s. I told them that I could not invest in something if I did not own it or get some type of return. So I waited another couple of months and contacted CenturyLink again and after doing more research was told that the company still was not willing to spend the money to invest in the upgrade to the lines to run new pairs. They said that maybe after the first of the year, the company would be willing to make the investment. At that time I was told to wait till after the first of the year, and the company might be willing to invest in the upgrade then.

It is now the new year, but I have not tried to contact CenturyLink again. But in the meantime me and at least four other customers in my immediate area does not have access to the only DSL service “available” in our area. I believe my only option would be to go to the city meeting, and request that the city either get CenturyLink to do what they should — provide service to our entire community, or get another company that can come in and use the existing lines and upgrade the ones that need to be upgraded and provide service to all who want the service. CenturyLink obviously does not care about their customers. Or their future customers.

CenturyLink response

Hello Harriet we understand the frustration of service limitations, and apologize for the inconvenience it causes. If you have any other questions or concerns regarding your account or service, respond to us here and we'll be happy to help.

CenturyLink Company Information