1.12/5
Based on 500 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

formerly Qwest

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 17, 2018

3701 CenturyLink Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

On the positive side, I never lost internet during hurricane Irma. But since the hurricane, I have had streaming go in and out for no reason on a regular basis. Also, sending emails has been a problem and some I never receive at all. I don't know if it's because the customer base has increased but I have been increasingly frustrated. Sadly, I don't know that there are better choices.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I have never ever in my life experienced internet service like this. I was hooked up a week ago. It worked for 2 days then went totally out for about 6 hours and when it came back up I was only getting kilobytes in speed. I called for two days. No one speaks understandable English. They will transfer you around for a hour then finally hang up on you. It took me two days to schedule a repair technician. The technician arrives and I tell him I am only getting kilobytes down and I pay for 10 megabytes. He looks at me and says he doesn't know the difference between kilobytes and megabytes. OMG. At first I thought he was kidding but sadly he wasn't. So almost 2 hours later my internet is working again but who knows for how long. When he left I was getting 16 MB down and now I'm down to 6 MB down. It's getting slower by the second.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

Geragos & Geragos Law Firm is handling class-action lawsuits for deceptive advertising and fraudulent billing practices. Deceptive advertising vs. CenturyLink? Two years ago I called in on a 5 years, Total Home Phone & Internet, for $61.99 (free long distance, call waiting, all those extras) and very very slow internet because I live in the middle of nowhere. So my first bill was $130, I called 10 times before someone finally said: "Oh, I see you have been a customer for 30 years, let's get you to our loyalty department and we'll get your bill down to that $61.99 price."

Well they did that by giving me loyalty credits and promotional credits that expired in one year. "So you have to call us back in one year and do this all over again to get that $61.99 price and you will have to do that every year for the life of the 5 year promotion." Geez. I've called 35 times, screamed on the phone, tried to dispute charges on my auto pay credit card setup. They continue to just jump all over the place on how much they are going to charge me.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

Internet constantly drops. They are coming on Wed to fix it. So I tried to find others with same problems but find all negative comments. Does anyone out there have anything positive to say about this Company?

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

In 2015 I tried to get internet through bundling. CenturyLink was the provider that was available in my location. I was told that my home and location was all ready for service. I would be able to install the equipment myself. After receiving the equipment I followed the instructions for installation, no internet. Called customer service, worked with them. No service. Had new phone jacks installed, no service. Canceled service. Received cancellation confirmation # and they sent out what I needed to return equipment that was useless to me.

4 months later still receiving bills from CenturyLink. Called again after being transferred and transferred and talking to countless people. Received a second cancellation confirmation and promises I would not receive anymore billing. And I did not, UNTIL almost 3 years later I received a letter from a collection company saying I owed money to CenturyLink. And... they have no one there on weekends to help you in customer service. Even if you are happy with the service they are providing you now... just wait till you try to leave. I can never, ever recommend CenturyLink.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CenturyLink?

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

My experience with CenturyLink has been **. Transferred from one representative to another with no accountability. Can’t seem to find a supervisor much-less one that can speak English. Turned off service for the winter. Agent said 28.00 dollars a month. Lo and behold one month later am being billed over 200.00 bucks for having no service. This company is garbage. I hope they get their poop in a group. As for their service, It sucks. Can’t stream Netflix or listen to Pandora. Took 5 months to bury the line in the front yard.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

How can CenturyLink continue to be in business? Our Tv's lose the signal constantly & have to be rebooted. Our TV's lose sound but still have the picture & has to be rebooted again. We never ever had all these problems when we had XFINITY. Why does PULTE use CenturyLink for their new construction in Naples Fl???

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

First of all they don't deserve 1 star, they deserve half or none. Their service is a trap. I've been told that got first month free as a free trial, but I got charges. Then they sent a technician to open the line. Which the agent told me NOT TO LET THE TECHNICIAN IN THE HOUSE, otherwise they will charge me. When the tech came, I told him that I can install everything by myself (which plug and play) and self explanatory.

But the only way to "unlock" the line and receive services for internet is from inside the house with his equipment. So they charged me for the fee. All the tech did: plug the cable into the telephone cord port. I called the customer service about the situation and he told me he will waive. But he threatened me if I cancel the service he will put the charge back to my bill. Instead doing the right to for the customer, they black-mailing me to keep the service. I will never ever use CenturyLink again. Connection is very slow and dropped most of the time.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

Signed up for CenturyLink internet service. Cancelled the same day I received the equipment when I realized I had no phone jacks in my home. Called CenturyLink, they refunded me my money, sent me a return shipping label. I dropped it off at UPS store, no problem. Now, 7 months later, without receiving one piece of communication, I'm hit with a $110 collections notice saying I never returned the equipment. I called CL and explained everything, but they are still refusing to help me, and will not forgive the debt.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

I called them on 1-29-18 stating I was moving (2 blocks from current home, into a Nursing Facility). Was advised my service would be on as of 2-2-18. On 2-5-18, no service. They stated they would make this a high priority, and would be done that day. I called back on 2-6-18, and 2-7-18 still no service. Now they are stating it will be 2-16-18. Some of the various excuses were inclement weather, if so our local schools would be on a delay. Then there were saying there was no such address, then there were issue with this account. I pay my bill as soon as it comes in. I can't count the hours and transfers I have gone thru in the past week. Majority of the time while on hold I would get disconnected. I'm elderly and don't need this kind of aggravation. Had I not had the same number for over 25 years I would cancel this service.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

My experience with Century Link. Slower than Comcast. When I called to connect DirecTV with Century Link (at their suggestion) I was told I needed a new modem to do so (I already had both services). A man came out and took my old Century Link Modem out and plug a new one in. They charged me 66 dollars to do this and the connection to DirecTV never went through. When I called they acted like I was confused and didn't know what I was talking about.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

Customer service is the worst. Tech support gave me a line of garbage why my internet service is so bad. My mistake even considering their using their services. When my contract is over, dumping them like a "hot rock".

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

I’ve been with CenturyLink since 2001, at the same address. We recently sold our home so I called nearly 2 weeks prior to moving to set a date for DSL to be turned on at our new address. I had to speak with 3 people during this due to being disconnected during transfers. Now, fast forward to the “day of connection”. Surprise; no DSL. Apparently the order was placed to turn on DSL at our OLD address. So, I again am transferred and disconnected. After over 1 hour I finally spoke to someone who I thought would help. Unfortunately, I was mistaken. They said they had to transfer me again... To another department. Well, surely this department could help. Yes! They said they could! I was told this was a programming issue they could change on their end and within 60 minutes it would be active. I was very please...

Fast forward 2.5 hours... No DSL. SO, I called AGAIN. Mind you; this is now 4 days AFTER it was to be turned on. Now; again I wait on hold, get transferred and get yet another whole different story as to how things work. So, now I am told that it was their error and they apologize but it takes a tech to come to the address to do this. Great, so I requested to have one sent top priority since it was their mistake and past the promised service date by 3 days. Nope, they cannot do this. It is currently Saturday and the next available time is Thursday, but they guaranteed first priority. So, fast forward to Thursday. I came home and it’s was 4 pm, no internet. So, I call AGAIN. At this point I was afraid to wait until 5:00 as I know the field techs only work until 5. So, I called and they said it hasn’t been started yet. Not been started yet!? Are you kidding me!? However, they paged the tech, who never replied.

Now, I was again told, they would still guarantee this to be done that day. Well, that night after the school basketball games I came home; no DSL. SO, I CALL AGAIN. This time I am told the tech did complete his order. However the Care Dept did not and they are gone for the day. There is nobody else available who can complete this. I am asked to call back tomorrow after 9 am. After hours on the phone trying to get a simple DSL connection and dealing with inadequately trained customer service representative’s, errors and mistakes, I now have to call AGAIN.

I do have a full time day job as a nurse, this calling is getting ridiculous. Now, hopefully today (Friday) this can get resolved. After all, it is 9 days after the promised service date. I better verify to make sure they didn’t begin charging me as of the original promised connection date. The second we get other unlimited internet options, I will no longer continue as a CenturyLink customer. All this work for their substandard DSL, but I suppose it’s better than nothing. At least my children will be able to do their homework, at home.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I've called CenturyLink technical support and customer service for months complaining about my Prism TV, DVD recording, and Internet going down. I get the gray screen prompting me to call tech support or "do one of the following" to fix the problem. I'd get the no DVR service, check back later too. A tech finally came out and replaced all of the equipment. The next day, my service went out again. It seemed I'd lose service if a dog barked too loud. I called to cancel the service and they offered all kinds of discounts so I'd stay with them. Really??? No service so we'll give you a discount? How about no charge for no TV?!

I finally had it with all of the discounts and credits for no service and canceled the service completely. Finally, after complaining and making it perfectly clear how unhappy I was, the sneaky little rep put me on a contract for another year of hell. Thank you so much for the horrible service and unscrupulous reps. Am I smokin' crack? Who in their right mind would sign up for another year of hell after losing so much service! CenturyLink makes the Wells Fargo unauthorized account sign up look like child's play. I attached the gray screen I get at least six times a week. The No Signal is another favorite. I DVR the Maury show and clearly you can see the DVR stopped the program before it was finished. It happened to Judge Judy too. Sign another contract? I don't think so.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I have been a customer for 35 plus years. The most recent problem. Quoted $151.00 a month for phone, 1 GB speed internet, 200+ Channels TV programming on 24-month contract. Was told I have 60 days to back out. Didn't receive first bill for over the 60-day limit. Was charged over the agreed amount. At 13 months the bill was raised by approx. $50. Textbox chatted with CenturyLink and got nowhere. Called and ended up talking to three different people being transferred and answering the same questions to each. Ended up with customer retention department. I explained that I was being overcharged both before and after their increase. I also told them that I was still under contract for another 12 months and the price should not have changed. I asked Her to put it back the way it was even though it was more than the contract I signed in my living room with my wife present.

She told me multiple times that she couldn't change it back. She said she could lower the price back near-slightly below what I had been paying $190.00. I asked her at least 3 times if this would extend my contract. She replied each to me that, “No it wouldn't extend the time on the contract.” I'm now at 23 months on my original 24-month contract. I'm being told that I still have 13 months on contract for the TV package. But the internet and phone are about due to expire. On the most recent call to them I asked for a copy of the contract that I am by there handbound to. No person I have talked to this week will send, email or furnish me with a copy of the contract. I find this absolutely unbelievable. I have been a customer of Mountain Bell, Qwest, and CenturyLink for over 35 years. This is not the first deception I've seen. They on more than one occasion have turned down the speed remotely on my modem.

When I called them on it they have used multiple excuses. Clerical error, line quality issues, and need new modem the older one has a problem. My belief is they do this to cause customers to upgrade their service at a higher cost. I also believe they want customers to go paperless so that they aren't overbilling and mailing it in the US mail system. They give you a $5.00 discount for going paperless. Currently I'm trying to get out of this endless game of lies and deception. It's really too bad they do have very fast internet speeds, good TV packages, and phone services. As I see it they are trying to drive customers away but only after taking them as much as possible. And trying to force them to stay by making false contracts. I wouldn't even give them one star but that's not an option yet. I have documented some of these experiences by emailing myself.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I called on to inquire why my Bill was so high, and Amy danced around my questions, and then hung up on me!!! When I called back, they were closed. I called on Monday, and the same thing happened AGAIN!!! I finally had to go into the CenturyLink store, and FINALLY got everything settled with a Supervisor. After my contract is over I am CANCELING!!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

We have been trying for the past 7 months to set up our voice mail on our home phone with no success. Each time we have reached an agent they claim to have cleared up obstructions and reset the password; that we should wait 5 minutes, 24 hours or 3 days and the issue will be resolved. We tried again last night. Nothing has worked. We are a small farm operation that depends on telephone access and voice mail capabilities for our customers and suppliers. This is another stumbling block to economic progress in rural America.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

I had CenturyLink for years. They became very expensive and I got married and we switched to Comcast. I had purchased my own WiFi unit from CenturyLink. It stopped working. I was told that someone would come to my house to repair the new WiFi unit. The repair man came to the house. Took my brand new WiFi unit and left me a used one that didn't work. When I complained that he took my new unit and left me a used one that I couldn't even get into my computer with I was totally ignored, I tried several times to get them to admit they sold my unit to someone else and expected me to pay for the used unit. CenturyLink now wants to take me to court over $65 for the service man coming and I sent them the used unit back. So why doesn't CenturyLink just forget the $65.00 as I spent $17.00 to ship the worthless unit back to them.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

Unfortunately I am still a customer of CenturyLink, due to the contract. When you try to get in touch with customer service, you may waste 2 hours getting the run around...phone tree, barely English speaking agents, agents who don't know what to do. Then the internet service is slow...and I mean slow. I can't watch Netflix and my daughters be on their laptops at the same time or it buffers nonstop. And yes I have the fastest package they offer. When I was told I had to schedule a worker to come install the new equipment...they were a no show two days; then I am told I could do it. Missed two days of work, but hey now I can do it. No credit given for me missing work, only "I am sorry for the inconvenience". This company is ridiculous.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

Between the online website and the 800 number I wasted about 2 hours. The website is difficult to navigate and points to hard to find links. For example, the online Chat, in my opinion, is a means to get you to run a phone line test. I could not find a link to their online chat. I called the 800 service number and was sent from agent to agent, all had a different solution to my issue, none of which worked. All the agents were pleasant and polite, but were very confusing. I just gave up with a thanks for your help. Now I'm looking for another provider.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

When I lived in Rio Rancho two to three years ago, and my other family who lives there still now we all had issues with this ISP the rates would go up, a lot of times we were given refurbished routers/modems so it would result in us calling to get them replaced as it would not connect properly. Otherwise the customer service was the only decent thing about this company. It is a shame they have Rio Rancho all to themselves as there are far better ISP's that are cheaper, and use brand new routers/modem. I would not recommend them to anyone.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

CenturyLink is the worst company I have ever agreed to work with. Their internet prices are inconsistent and will fluctuate for no known reason. Over time, your monthly bill will increase for no reason unless you call and ask what is going on. After canceling my service, after a very short disappointing time-frame, I returned all equipment and paid for cancellation fee. After 5 months they tell me I haven't returned my equipment and owe for that. Like any normal person I no longer have my shipping receipt from 5 months ago.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

I agreed to another year after speaking with a representative who assured me I could have the same contract as far as service and pricing. The first month into my second year I was charged my regular price, then another bill (2 bills - 1 month). I let the second bill go figuring it must be some stupid fee they can justify charging by my starting of a second year with them. The second month was $7 less than expected. The third month was $40 over the agreed upon amount and they say this is my new bill amount because they found a loop-hole where one of my discounts mysteriously dropped off after 13 months.

I was so happy (for a couple of months) that they actually had a customer retention department where you can work out a new promotion so they can keep you happy. DON'T SIGN UP FOR THE SECOND YEAR. I'm so disappointed in the options for internet and cable these days. Can't we do better? It seems that if anyone would try, they might find that so little effort is actually required to make the world a reasonable place to be.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

Their billing is inconsistent. In trying to clear up a credit balance / overpayment on the account, we've made three calls to customer service, with three separate completely different stories from each agent. The agents weren't even able to tell us how much the recurring monthly Internet service fee is/should be. This company is a total misery to deal with anytime there's any kind of technological or billing issue.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

I had one year contract With CenturyLink. After one year I disconnect the service. But I got early termination fee on my final bill. When I call customer care they told me I have 2 years of contract. CenturyLink cheated me. I never recommend CenturyLink... worst service.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

They literally hold you hostage when you try and cancel your account. They make it ridiculously difficult and almost impossible. They try and nickel and dime you as try and cancel it. They are trying to keep me paying as long as the end of my billing period even though I told the agent that I had been trying to cancel for a few days. I also had told her the equipment was in a box already and I had already installed their competitor. Sad. Just sad.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

I had the most awful experience with CenturyLink, worst in my entire life. Please beware the company does everything to bait you in. Initially they play good. I had problems with high speed internet and signed up for fiber. Cancelled acct with them 1 mo before the alleged due date. They have failed to communicate the early termination fees and charges me $200 instead of prorated. And without any further communication they threw me to a collection agency. I had 0 communication with them and was unaware of this development. I therefore highly recommend you to steer clear of this company. The absolute worst with regard to customer service. Never had any worse experience in my life. You suck, CenturyLink.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

I called them today to cancel my 12mb internet that they charge me 60 dollars per month. It takes 30 min to talk to someone. She charge me different amount and she passed me around, next person ask me all info again and passed me around again. Finally I couldn't cancel my internet. 12mb for 60? If you have contract with them they reduce it to 36 dollars. Other internet company offer me 100mb internet for $40. CenturyLink is the worse internet company in the world because I was in other countries and I swear to God they have a better speed with less price.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

After over 9 calls and 4 months (NO RESULTS). I called to get paperwork for low income service. I was told I had to sign up for services prior to receiving the paperwork. Paperwork was never sent. And service didn't work. So I called again to get started. Had to get a new number and go through the entire process again. I reminded them once again to send out paperwork for low income service. Again, service didn't work and PAPERWORK FOR LOW INCOME NOT SENT AGAIN. The third time I called service worked finally. But like the first two customer service people I talked with I once again reminded them that I had not receive the low income paperwork and need it sent. And again I never received it. Then I receive my first bill for over Hundred dollars. I call and tell them I need to be on low income and asked for it again. Still NO LOW INCOME PAPERWORK SENT!!!

By now I've got a big bill, I'm tired and wish I never did service with CenturyLink. I called once again and told them all that had happened. I told them to shut off my service. I had had it for only 1 month. I never got the low income paperwork until I shut down my service. They informed me it wouldn't help with the bill I had already acquired. I had already shut down my account so it was useless so I didn't send it in. I made a payment on an agreed amount we came to. Because even with my services shut down I continue to receive a bill. Got one today for $358.57. When the last bill should have been a little over $70.00. I have made so many calls to deal with this. The last call I really believed took care of it. And here I am again!!! With a bill when I don't even have service with them. I WOULD NEVER DO SERVICE WITH THIS COMPANY EVER AGAIN.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

We have been using Century Link for 3 years and over the last 6 months the service has gone downhill. We have had a tech over to check things out to no avail. We have had to call 3 mornings in a row because our internet was down and each time they fix it for a few hours. Even when it is working it runs as slow as dial up ever did and will only run 2 devices. Don't even think about gaming. I think we will be dropping CenturyLink in favor of something better.

CenturyLink expert review by ConsumerAffairs

CenturyLink was founded 1968 and is now the third largest DSL provider in the United States. The company provides Internet, television, home security and home phone services. It also partners with Verizon to offer cell phone service. Customers receive discounts for subscribing to multiple CenturyLink services.

• International plans: CenturyLink offers reduced rates for calling select countries in Central and South America. They also have plans for other international call and plans specifically for calling Canada.

• Extra features: Consumers can choose a plan with a wide variety of features, including call forwarding, caller ID, three-way calling, voicemail and more.

• Refer-a-friend: CenturyLink’s refer-a-friend program rewards consumers when someone signs up for a new service using an existing customer’s referral link. If the new customer remains with the company for two months, both parties receive a gift card worth up to $75, depending on the type of service the new customer selects.

• Online support: The Guidance Center section of CenturyLink’s website has tools to help customers with questions or problems. If customers can’t solve the problem on their own, they can easily make a service call request from the same page on the website.

• Best for: CenturyLink is best for consumers who want to bundle multiple services.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

CenturyLink Company Information

www.centurylink.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use