formerly Qwest

3.9/5 (746 ratings)

About CenturyLink

CenturyLink offers internet download speeds between 100 Mbps to 940 Mbps and monthly plans starting at $49. It provides bundling services for residential and small business customers and serves 36 states. Not all states in CenturyLink’s converge area will have fiber optic options. CenturyLink breaks its internet services down into two main categories: the DSL plan and the Fiber Gigabit plan.

Pros

• Great for gamers
  • Up to 940 Mbps
  • No contracts

Cons

• Gigabit not available in all areas
  • Not available in all states

Bottom Line

CenturyLink offers internet, home phone and TV programming services. Most internet options are best for basic internet speeds on a few devices, but the Fiber Gigabit plan is good for heavy internet users.

Top CenturyLink Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

We've had CenturyLink internet service in one of our Park City, UT condos for about 3 years now and we've been very happy with it. I'd highly recommend their internet service if y...

Verified

Dan from CenturyLink came out to our home today and he installed our new internet and cleaned up outside previous cables from other companies at no charge. He was thorough, profes...

CenturyLink internet plans

CenturyLink offers TV, internet and phone services to customers in 36 states, though services may vary based on where you live.

CenturyLink internet
If you are only looking for internet service for your home or business, CenturyLink has two options. The CenturyLink Internet with Price for Life option makes it easy to browse the internet, stream videos, send emails and connect multiple users and devices. There are no contracts or price hikes.

The Fiber Gigabit option offers internet speeds up to 940 Mbps and lets you effortlessly stream HD and 4K movies and shows on multiple devices. Each device experiences symmetrical speeds and unlimited data.

You can select the internet speeds you need and browse plans based on what is important to you: streaming movies, listening to music, gaming or uploading videos.

CenturyLink TV
If you are looking for an alternative to cable TV, CenturyLink partners with leading satellite providers to offer an extensive selection of TV channels and programming options. The streaming TV services do not require contracts and can be customized to your TV watching needs. CenturyLink offers makes it easy to access services and premium channels such as:
  • YouTubeTV
  • FuboTV
  • Sling
  • Starz
  • ESPN Plus
  • Fox Nation
  • Disney Plus
  • Hulu

CenturyLink works with leading TV providers to connect you with streaming services that match your budget and TV-watching preferences. Customers can sign up for CenturyLink and start a free trial through the TV provider.

Each provider offers different channel lineup options, streaming options and recording services. Many offer no-contract plans with no installation requirements. Once you’ve signed up with the provider, you can download the company’s app and start steaming through CenturyLink internet right away.

CenturyLink home phone
CenturyLink’s home phone plans offer long-distance options and popular calling features like call waiting, voicemail, three-way calling, call forwarding and caller ID. The basic plan covers local calls, and the unlimited plan includes all of the features of basic plus local and long-distance calls. CenturyLink also offers international calling plans.
CenturyLink bundles
If you need internet, phone or TV packages for your home or business, CenturyLink offers bundle deals to help you combine services and save money. You can bundle two or three service options without committing to a long-term contract. Bundle options and prices vary by location.

CenturyLink internet prices

Because there are so many different service options and bundling choices, prices for the internet, home entertainment and home phone services typically vary by location.

Internet prices
Typical prices for CenturyLink internet services are:
  • CenturyLink Internet with Price for Life: $49 a month for all speeds up to 100 Mbps
  • Fiber Gigabit: $65 a month for speeds up to 940 Mbps
TV prices
CenturyLink doesn’t offer streaming channels, but it connects customers with leading TV providers that do. For this reason, prices and packages vary, but the average TV streaming service offers more than 60 channels and costs anywhere between $50 to $75 a month. DirecTV, DISH and AT&T TV are $59.99 a month for 24 months.
Home phone prices
Home phone service with unlimited nationwide calling through CenturyLink is typically around $60 a month.
Bundle prices
Prices and available for CenturyLink’s bundles vary by location, but sample prices for plans are:
  • Home phone and internet: $85 a month
  • DirecTV + internet + home phone: $145 a month

Some other fees that consumers should be aware include a broadcast fee of $2.49 per month and a sports fee of $2.49 per month

CenturyLink FAQ

Is CenturyLink a good internet provider?
Yes. CenturyLink offers fast internet speeds and the ability to choose internet programs to meet your streaming needs and budget.
Is CenturyLink DSL or cable?
CenturyLink offers DSL and fiber internet service.
What does CenturyLink do?
CenturyLink offers internet, home phone and TV programming services for residents in 36 states.
What is CenturyLink Prism?
Prism is CenturyLink’s premium HD TV programming service. Customers have access to premium channels like HBO, Cinemax, Showtime and Starz. The most basic Prism package starts at $44 a month.
Can I use my own modem with CenturyLink?
Yes. If your modem works with CenturyLink technology, you can use your own modem.
Is CenturyLink Fiber good?
Yes. CenturyLink Fiber offers fast internet speeds that make it easy for multiple devices to stay connected.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CenturyLink?

Original review: May 4, 2022

I was experiencing a problem with my computer and iPhone both connected to wifi. I kept losing connection and the computer speed was slow. The technician replaced my old router, did a speed check, and got the speed up where it should be. This fine gentleman went above and beyond. He was so polite, pleasant, friendly, respectful, and just a fine gentleman. I also found out that in his spare time he serves his community in a most outstanding way. Just an all-around good guy. Century Link could use a few more service technicians like this gentleman. I could not find anything with his name on it. I am sure he would not be hard to locate. Please give him a Kudo. (I called CenturyLink but made no effort to locate him so I could give him a personal Kudo).

Good morning,

I didn't hear from you yesterday regarding the account information and wanted to follow-up and see if you still needed my help? ​​Our case will remain open for 24 more hours, if no response, I will need to close our conversation.

Cherie

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

Once I got past the initial ordering process the service has been pretty good. I have had it for about 2 years, had only one call which was handled quickly. Service has been reliable. No downtimes since installed.

Good morning, Dale,

We are happy to hear you are enjoying your service. Our goal is to provide each customer with great service and a great experience. If you need any help at all, you can reach out to us here, or at any of the following contact options:
Facebook - www.facebook.com/CenturyLink/
Twitter - twitter.com/CenturyLinkHelp

Contact Us - www.centurylink.com/home/help/contact.html

Cherie

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

CENTURYLINK has had a bad reputation for a long time. I have helped a lot of my computer customers when they have had problems with the internet service. I recently moved in a new neighborhood and was dreading having CenturyLink. I went online to find out about service and was pleasantly surprised to see high speed service at a very reasonable price. I was able to order it and have the new router and installed it myself with some phone help. It was very easy to set up and is working like a champ. I'm getting 50-60 Mbps on a stable line and even had it at 70 Mbps. Upload runs consistently at 20 Mbps. It's great for streaming tv and many other options.

Hello Nancy,

We're glad that your experience with us has been going well so far. However if that changes please let us know and reach out to us here or at any of the following contact options:
    Facebook - www.facebook.com/CenturyLink/
    Twitter - twitter.com/CenturyLinkHelp

Contact Us - www.centurylink.com/home/help/contact.html

Have a great day.

Sabrina

Original review: Sept. 25, 2021

Communication was difficult for set up because I was on hold for 30-45 minutes each time. The company who laid wire was different than the company who connected it. The company who connected it was different from the troubleshooter. One hand doesn’t know what the other one's doing. It’s a BIG MONOPOLY!

Good morning, Laura,

Thank you for reaching out via this channel and opening a case with us. I am very sorry for the issues you encountered when trying to get your service connected with us. If there is anything I can help you with, please send me a private message.

Cherie

Original review: July 28, 2021

I don't like that new people get a bigger discount than a person who has paid their bill on time for years. I would like a faster internet speed but it is not in our area. But the cable is enough for me. I like that we can record and watch.

Good afternoon, Cheryl,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I would be happy to review the services on your account to ensure you are getting the best rate. If you still needed our help? Please reach out to us here via a private message and I would be happy to help you.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: June 15, 2022

My family has been with CenturyLink for a few years now and it's crappier than ever! It's honestly ridiculous how SLOW the internet is. Even GOOGLE says it's slow! 3.35 MBPS?! I was promised wayyyy faster speed than that. I'm telling you CenturyLink be scamming people with false advertisement. I personally wouldn't recommend this scam company.

Good afternoon,

I'm sorry you're experiencing trouble with the internet. I understand how frustrating slow speeds can be. I would be happy to review your account for any issues. Please send me a private message.

Resolution response: June 19, 2022

The agent Cherie did very little to help. Despite sending me a bill for roughly $500(can't put the exact amount because Centurylink uses your total owed amount as an authentication method). She refused to help because Centurylink has none of my identifying information on file which she turned into my problem. I let her know they could have fun billing without an SSN and she was just kind of snarky.

Then this month Centurylink sent me a new bill for about $90(so not only is it and authentication point, its an inconsistent authentication point). I'm going to continue ignoring it because this entire situation occurred because I talked to one of their sales reps.

That's it. I'm not a customer. I have no contracts with them. They just decided I owe them money and need to jump through hoops to get them to quit harassing me. So if you're considering service, this can happen if you TALK TO THEM AT ALL. Centurylink is also trying to rebrand as "Lumen" now to escape their old bad press.

Original review: May 11, 2022

Centurylink has two kinds of employees, sales and collections. Sales are super nice, you'll get straight through and they will promise you the world. Thank god I found out about how rude, unhelpful, and busy their billing department was before signing up. I had talked with sales and we had scheduled to have a tech come out. Due to schedule conflicts I had to cancel the appointment. The sales rep assured me they would keep my account open until I was ready to set something up but until I connected service, I would not be billed. The next time I heard from centurylink was when they sent me a bill for over $400 and a disconnect notice for service that was never set up.

I called up billing, had to wait on hold, got ahold of a billing rep that immediately started condescending to me. I told him his customer retention skills needed work, me calling them was a favor to help them with their clerical, he could have fun pursuing the charges without an SSN on the account and if he was going to continue to be rude to me, he could either get me to a supervisor or I would let them figure out this mess on their own without my help while I spent my time more wisely reviewing the terrible service. I'll let you guess how that turned out. Tell your billing department that "I'm sorry for the inconvenience" goes a long way.

CenturyLink response

Thank you. Please let me know once the verification has been completed.

Original review: May 9, 2022

Their customer service is who you have to get through on your way to the fiery pits of hell. Their “virtual assistant” is a recording that is attached to jack-in-box, no matter what selection you make once the box pops they hang up on you. We’ve paid for service for two months and our house hasn’t even been wired for service. When I FINALLY got through to some utilizing their chat which is manned by genetically altered raccoons, it seems that we will have internet eventually or maybe never but definitely sometime before I chuck this router in to a lead box and bury it. It’s so bad that not even Centurylink employees can get through to other centurylink employees to get help. It’s basically the human centipede version of internet. Literally anything is better, including eternal damnation.

Good morning,

I am sorry to hear you are having an issue getting an order placed have your service connected. I would be happy to help you. Please send me a private message.

Original review: May 9, 2022

I would like to report my experience with CenturyLink. I had a internet connecting issue and the help desk just told that they can fix it after 3 days and they disconnected without even booking the appointment, the issue is I work from home and my wife is also work from home. The issue is the help desk girl did not connect me to supervisor and did not book the appointment also. This is not acceptable especially when everyone is working from home. I would never recommend this provider. They are not at all professional and don't care much about the customer.

Good morning,

I apologize for the trouble you are experiencing with the internet and when trying to get a repair ticket placed, as I understand the importance of having a stable connection. I would be happy to help you. Please send me a private message.

Cherie

Original review: April 19, 2022

I have been trying to get Internet with CenturyLink for the last 6 months. It's been one thing after another. Most of the issues with getting new service have been sorted out, except for the actual install. They have rescheduled my appointment for the jack install and hook-up at the pole, 3 times in the past few weeks without telling me. It's always no call, no show. I can't afford to sit at home waiting for a tech who never shows up. The last excuse was the tech didn't have the proper tools and the line hasn't been dropped. The line has been in place for several weeks. I'm at my wit's end with this company and I don't have any other options!

CenturyLink response

I am sorry to hear that your appointment keeps getting pushed out. I completely understand how inconvenient a lack of service can be and we understand how important your time is. I would be happy to check the status of your install if you would like to send me a private message.

CenturyLink Company Information