formerly Qwest

3.7/5 (2452 ratings)

About CenturyLink

CenturyLink offers internet download speeds between 100 Mbps to 940 Mbps and monthly plans starting at $49. It provides bundling services for residential and small business customers and serves 36 states. Not all states in CenturyLink’s converge area will have fiber optic options. CenturyLink breaks its internet services down into two main categories: the DSL plan and the Fiber Gigabit plan.

Pros

• Great for gamers
  • Up to 940 Mbps
  • No contracts

Cons

• Gigabit not available in all areas
  • Not available in all states

Bottom Line

CenturyLink offers internet, home phone and TV programming services. Most internet options are best for basic internet speeds on a few devices, but the Fiber Gigabit plan is good for heavy internet users.

Top CenturyLink Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

We've had CenturyLink internet service in one of our Park City, UT condos for about 3 years now and we've been very happy with it. I'd highly recommend their internet service if y...

Verified

Dan from CenturyLink came out to our home today and he installed our new internet and cleaned up outside previous cables from other companies at no charge. He was thorough, profes...

CenturyLink internet plans

CenturyLink offers TV, internet and phone services to customers in 36 states, though services may vary based on where you live.

CenturyLink internet
If you are only looking for internet service for your home or business, CenturyLink has two options. The CenturyLink Internet with Price for Life option makes it easy to browse the internet, stream videos, send emails and connect multiple users and devices. There are no contracts or price hikes.

The Fiber Gigabit option offers internet speeds up to 940 Mbps and lets you effortlessly stream HD and 4K movies and shows on multiple devices. Each device experiences symmetrical speeds and unlimited data.

You can select the internet speeds you need and browse plans based on what is important to you: streaming movies, listening to music, gaming or uploading videos.

CenturyLink TV
If you are looking for an alternative to cable TV, CenturyLink partners with leading satellite providers to offer an extensive selection of TV channels and programming options. The streaming TV services do not require contracts and can be customized to your TV watching needs. CenturyLink offers makes it easy to access services and premium channels such as:
  • YouTubeTV
  • FuboTV
  • Sling
  • Starz
  • ESPN Plus
  • Fox Nation
  • Disney Plus
  • Hulu

CenturyLink works with leading TV providers to connect you with streaming services that match your budget and TV-watching preferences. Customers can sign up for CenturyLink and start a free trial through the TV provider.

Each provider offers different channel lineup options, streaming options and recording services. Many offer no-contract plans with no installation requirements. Once you’ve signed up with the provider, you can download the company’s app and start steaming through CenturyLink internet right away.

CenturyLink home phone
CenturyLink’s home phone plans offer long-distance options and popular calling features like call waiting, voicemail, three-way calling, call forwarding and caller ID. The basic plan covers local calls, and the unlimited plan includes all of the features of basic plus local and long-distance calls. CenturyLink also offers international calling plans.
CenturyLink bundles
If you need internet, phone or TV packages for your home or business, CenturyLink offers bundle deals to help you combine services and save money. You can bundle two or three service options without committing to a long-term contract. Bundle options and prices vary by location.

CenturyLink internet prices

Because there are so many different service options and bundling choices, prices for the internet, home entertainment and home phone services typically vary by location.

Internet prices
Typical prices for CenturyLink internet services are:
  • CenturyLink Internet with Price for Life: $49 a month for all speeds up to 100 Mbps
  • Fiber Gigabit: $65 a month for speeds up to 940 Mbps
TV prices
CenturyLink doesn’t offer streaming channels, but it connects customers with leading TV providers that do. For this reason, prices and packages vary, but the average TV streaming service offers more than 60 channels and costs anywhere between $50 to $75 a month. DirecTV, DISH and AT&T TV are $59.99 a month for 24 months.
Home phone prices
Home phone service with unlimited nationwide calling through CenturyLink is typically around $60 a month.
Bundle prices
Prices and available for CenturyLink’s bundles vary by location, but sample prices for plans are:
  • Home phone and internet: $85 a month
  • DirecTV + internet + home phone: $145 a month

Some other fees that consumers should be aware include a broadcast fee of $2.49 per month and a sports fee of $2.49 per month

CenturyLink FAQ

Is CenturyLink a good internet provider?
Yes. CenturyLink offers fast internet speeds and the ability to choose internet programs to meet your streaming needs and budget.
Is CenturyLink DSL or cable?
CenturyLink offers DSL and fiber internet service.
What does CenturyLink do?
CenturyLink offers internet, home phone and TV programming services for residents in 36 states.
What is CenturyLink Prism?
Prism is CenturyLink’s premium HD TV programming service. Customers have access to premium channels like HBO, Cinemax, Showtime and Starz. The most basic Prism package starts at $44 a month.
Can I use my own modem with CenturyLink?
Yes. If your modem works with CenturyLink technology, you can use your own modem.
Is CenturyLink Fiber good?
Yes. CenturyLink Fiber offers fast internet speeds that make it easy for multiple devices to stay connected.

CenturyLink Reviews

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

CENTURYLINK has had a bad reputation for a long time. I have helped a lot of my computer customers when they have had problems with the internet service. I recently moved in a new neighborhood and was dreading having CenturyLink. I went online to find out about service and was pleasantly surprised to see high speed service at a very reasonable price. I was able to order it and have the new router and installed it myself with some phone help. It was very easy to set up and is working like a champ. I'm getting 50-60 Mbps on a stable line and even had it at 70 Mbps. Upload runs consistently at 20 Mbps. It's great for streaming tv and many other options.

Hello Nancy,

We're glad that your experience with us has been going well so far. However if that changes please let us know and reach out to us here or at any of the following contact options:
Facebook - www.facebook.com/CenturyLink/
Twitter - twitter.com/CenturyLinkHelp

Contact Us - www.centurylink.com/home/help/contact.html

Have a great day.

Sabrina

Original review: Dec. 25, 2020

I've had service for about 3 months. The service is reliable and the price is better than Xfinity. Their phone reps have always been very polite and respectful. It would make me a great, fair offer and I'd be off the phone in less than a minute.

CenturyLink response

Hello Loriann we're glad that your experience with us has been going well so far. However if that changes please let us know and reach out to us here for help, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2020

They are my phone company. They have gotten better over time and are doing very well with the Bandwidth, Reasonable rates for someone on a fixed income, don't do cable, too expensive and the local Mediacom office has an old grouch for our contact and they are expensive, phones do not work when the power goes out. Centurylink is the best buy for the money under 70.00 for internet & phone.

CenturyLink response

Hello Deann while we're glad to see you've been satisfied with your service so far, if that changes, please let us know by reaching out to us here and we'll be happy to help.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2020

Wish it was faster, more dependable. With so many of us now needing to rely on internet, providers may not feel the need to be Super Good. To date it fulfills our needs. Previous provider was worse. Perhaps the area I now live in is making it harder for internet providers to be Greater.

CenturyLink response

Hello we are sorry to see that this is your experience with us, and that you have difficulties with the speeds available for your home. If you have any questions or concerns, and require assistance, please reach out to us here privately and we'll be glad to help. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

Really have liked Century Link since I first began service with them in 2017. The speed is good for me and service issues have been all but nonexistent, with only two outages in my time with them. I did upgrade once and did a change of address on my service once and it was all very easy. They do not do any high pressure contacting to try to get me to upgrade, that I like. Contact with customer support has always been good and they have been friendly. Price is comfortable for my budget.

CenturyLink response

Hello Gerry, thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback; if your experience is negative at any point, and you need assistance, please reach out to us here for help.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

I work for the county government, and one of the phone lines is down. I have been on the phone with CenturyLink for the past four days trying to get a technician to come and fix the phone line with no dial tone. This is our office's main phone line, and we are getting complaints from clientele that needs our service. So we are going to find another phone company. I am not a happy customer. I would highly advise anyone, DO NOT CHOOSE CENTURYLINK!

Hello John,

I’m sorry the phone service has not been repaired. I’d love to take a look at your account and see what we can do to help. Please send us a private message.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

Because the pandemic there is an emergency brand program and it removes 50 dollars from your monthly bill every month. Making mine only 15 dollars a month. They refuse to allow me to use the program stating the information doesn't match. This is a lie. They have the same info the government has and they refuse to handle the problem. Now I have not had internet for a month. The tech came out and told me another technician cut my service wires and left them. After the tech said he fixed the problem and left the problem in fact was not fixed. The internet would say it was connected but the service wasn't working. The troubleshooter on the app told me that the problem could not be fixed remotely and a technician was needed. Yet 5 times each tech proceeded to tell me there was no problem and I needed to upgrade my service package. This is a lie also.

Finally someone listened and made an appointment for another tech appointment. They texted me this morning saying they found and fixed the problem and they were cancelling my appointment unless I respond keep. They don't allow you to respond. It's a scam. I got on the app and in fact said I wanted to keep my appointment for tomorrow for a tech. They just now texted me again and said they cancelled my tech appointment because they havent heard from me. This is a lie. I am so angry.

The EBB program warned us that providers are taking advantage of this credit by internet throttling and slowing down service until we are forced to upgrade our package. I qualify for the ebb program and did everything appropriate yet they refuse to allow me to participate. Before the tech cut the line we had no problem with speed. And we are told that there is no data cap also. Yet this is the excuse they use for service that isn't working properly. They owe me a credit for the last 4 months 50 dollars as I'm only to be paying 15 dollars on the program. Since last month we haven't had working service and now they cancelled the tech appointment claiming the problem is fixed when it is not fixed. A lot of nerve this company has.

Hello,

I’m sorry you’re experiencing issues with your service. I’d love to take a look at your account and see what we can do to help concerning the repair and the EBB discount. Please send me a message.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Oct. 2, 2021

We moved and the only service available is CenturyLink where we live. They have 40mps available and that is it. We had Charter internet in the past and it worked great. The speed is extremely slow and their solution to get you a higher speed is to unplug items in your house. We are not gamers or do a lot of streaming. We have 2 people in the house and should not have a problem like this. After a long chat service with the rep that is 5 hours ahead of me his solution is that I unplug items not in use. I guess I can get rid of my security system and other items that use Wi-Fi. Nowadays we know that everything we buy has a Wi-Fi hook up so we can run remotely. Guess I will have to get rid of technology, since CenturyLink is not going to get with the times!!! Horrible, and as soon as I can get something different I will change immediately.

Good morning,

I’m sorry you’re experiencing issues with your service. I’d love to take a look at your account and see what we can do to help. Please send me a private message.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2021

My internet service stopped working Sept 22 and CenturyLink (CL) didn't schedule a tech for repair until Sept 30 between 8:15 am to 8 pm. They were here by 1 pm, repaired services, but now my internet is down again (same day it was repaired). I telephoned CL 3 times, the 1st two calls were disconnected after 30+ minutes hold time. Was on phone with tech for over an hour and still no internet and they can't get anyone out to repair til Oct 7, 2021 (what a bunch of crock).

Granted they credited my account, but I'm streaming 4 other paid apps that I can't stream bcoz of CenturyLink. CL is full of cow manure. Waited 8 days for 1st service repair, then on the day of repair (Sept 30), I have to wait another 7 days without services again. I am very angry that customers have to wait so long before CL schedule for repairs--RIDICULOUS!!!

Good morning,

I am sorry your service issues were not resolved during the first dispatch. I'll be happy to review your account to further assist. Please send me a private message.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2021

I ordered internet. My appointment was scheduled for today between morning and 5 pm. It is 8:30 pm. I have been calling them all day. Spoke to manager assuring me they will be here. They're running late. I canceled my other internet. I have none. Also I told them I needed internet for my machine for my heart. They again assured me they would be here. I am so pissed my heart is racing. THEY LIED!!! I HOPE THEY READ THIS!!!

Good morning,

I am sorry that your installation was not worked as scheduled. I'll be happy to assist you with resolving this issue. Please send me a private message.

CenturyLink Company Information