1.20/5

formerly Qwest

4223 CenturyLink Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

This company is completely and utterly incompetent. I have been trying for 3 weeks to get a technician out. Stayed home 2 days with scheduled times. Here I sit with no tech, no service and angry. Have spoken to at least 10 people with different stories or excuses!!! If you want your blood pressure to remain in the limits do not use CENTURYLINK!!

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

A technician was scheduled 3x and we would receive a text moments before their arrival canceling appointment. Gave us credits that still have never been received on bill. Actual internet service is terrible too.

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

CenturyLink told me I would get 50 mbps internet but I received 3 mbps instead. Then the lady lost my information. Called back and they ended up leaving 2 credit check marks on my fiance's credit report. Then we had to wait 3 weeks before service was able to be installed. Come time the date, a person showed up to install TV but I was told the TV would be ground wired but DirecTV is Dish only! Get out! Then they said they had no plans of fixing our internet because it was already supposed to be running which is not what we talked about on the phone! After being on the phone with 7 people for over 8 hours total we were able to CANCEL. I am writing corporate and I will be leaving horrible reviews everywhere!! Scammers!!!

CenturyLink response

Hello Kacie, we're really sorry to hear that we weren't able to install the speed that you were promised, and also that your information was lost which resulted in an unwanted credit check. We completely understand your frustration, and would love to work with you to ensure the best possible resolution is reached. If you'd like our help, please respond here and we can get started.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

This company is ridiculous with their customer service. They don’t care and just want your money. I have to deal with them because this apartment only has CenturyLink. Every time I try talking to someone they just keep transferring me! Also, the guy at the counter said I’d be getting 80 mbps and now I’m just getting 12 mbps! The woman said an engineer needed to go in and put some more wires in and so all they can give me is 12 mbps for now! I asked when it’ll be done and she states “honestly I don’t know... the engineer hasn’t even opened up the problem... they have to see if they can fit any more wires in which they can because I can see it from here. Maybe 3-4 months?” Are you kidding me?!

Then, I get a notice stating that they’re going to charge me a one time fee of $60 for a technician coming to set up my internet... there was no setting up! I already had it hooked up and ready to go the day the internet was turned on. So then they removed that. Then I get this bill stating that I owe them $150 for a modem I didn’t even get! I talk to someone at customer support and he tells me to just send the new modem and they would credit my account for that modem and I said “I never got a new modem and I don’t need one because I’m using my old one.” Then he said “you’ll need to talk to customer care which they’ll be in Monday through Friday 8-5 pm Central time.” How is this company still up and running??

CenturyLink response

Hello Ruthel, we are disappointed to hear about your experience with our customer care, and we appreciate you bringing this matter to our attention. We always want to ensure you receive the assistance you deserve, and so would love to investigate this case for you to secure the best possible resolution. If you'd like our help, please respond here and we can get started.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

If you play games online, use a streaming device such as Roku or a VoIP telephone service. It's best to steer clear of CenturyLink if you can as their internet service is patchy on speed, connectivity and customer service is a joke.

CenturyLink response

Hello Bryan, we're sorry to hear that you haven't had the best experience with our service, or our customer care; we'd love to opportunity to change that. If there is anything you need help with, please feel free to respond to this message and we will ensure you receive the assistance you need.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CenturyLink?

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

My internet went out while CenturyLink was doing work in my neighborhood. I called CenturyLink and I was told there was an outage in my area. The following day I was told there was an issue with my internet and CenturyLink was working on it. Later the same day, I received a text message that the issue had been resolved. I get home and still no internet. I called technical support for the 4th time. The technician finally determined that the issue was not inside my house but the fiber line outside. The same fiber line CenturyLink was working on right before my internet went out. The technician then informed me that they were behind and no one was available to come out for another 4 days.

I work from home and I am not able to go in to the office because my employer is located in another state. CenturyLink has caused me to miss 4 days of work due to their mistake. This is the second time this has happened. The last time I missed two and a half days of work. I plan to switch to another internet provider. I will not continue to put my job in jeopardy due to CenturyLink’s incompetence!

CenturyLink response

Hello, we're very sorry to hear that this outage impacted your work; we realize that service is vital and we'd love to work with you to ensure the best possible resolution is reached. If you'd like our help, please respond here to get started.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

This is one of the many absolutely worthless companies that we are stuck with because they have a monopoly on landline phone service and they DO NOT CARE about their customers. They do not hold their customer support people to any standard either. Nor do their techs know how to repair phone lines. My phone has not worked well for at least 10 years. Many years ago, perhaps five, one of their techs told me I needed to have a new line run, but it was in the winter, so they'd have to come back when the ground was softer. That never happened. So, once or twice a year, or more often, whenever we get a lot of rain, my line goes dead, and they have to come out and "fix" the line. It then will work OK for a while... maybe a day, maybe six months. However, in the past two months, it has not worked at all. Today I called for my fifth technician in two months!

The longest it has worked between technicians is in the neighborhood of two days. Each time I request service, I may have to wait a few days or even a week or longer for their next appointment opening. Their online support is terrible too and the last thing in the world they will ever give you is credit for a service they did not provide! The first gal I got online hung up on me and I had to start all over with a second tech... and this was online! How do you lose someone on line? In the end, I just wanted a phone number to call and talk to someone live, and they said they didn't have that information and couldn't help me! They don't have a phone number? Are you kidding me? Look at all the terrible reviews here. You don't think this starts at the top? It absolutely does. The whole mess ought to be fired, but then, I should be smart enough to abandon my landline phone right?

CenturyLink response

Hello Raymond, we're very sorry to hear that your home phone service has not worked properly for so long; it is very important for you to make and receive phone calls, and we'd love to work with you to advocate for the best possible resolution. If you'd like our help, please respond here and we can get started.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Called for an issue and was passed around 3 times. Spoke to a rep named “Tiffany” and quickly realized her attitude along with the situation I was in weren’t conducive for one another. I asked to be put back in line and she agreed. I was placed in the Spanish speaking line, and while speaking to the rep Jose, I noticed there was another charge on my card from CenturyLink that I did not authorize. I’d asked the rep I was then speaking to did he process another payment? He said he had not, and it was done by someone named Kimberly **. She was the individual I had just asked to transfer from. She had lied about her name. Transferred me to the wrong line, and processed and unauthorized payment. I’d asked to have my call escalated, and was transferred again.

They were closed at this time, so I had to wait another day. I called today; and had my call transferred to the customer service department of Kimberly **. The woman I spoke to today was absolutely NO HELP!!! After explaining the situation to her, she basically told me there is “no way to determine what is in someone’s heart. And you don’t know if she did these things on purpose.” Got it! Giving a false name doesn’t show “intent”. Passing me to a Spanish speaking line doesn’t show “intent”.

Charging my card for another payment doesn’t show “intent”... the fraudulent payment was made while I was working with another rep... so the excuse of, “maybe she was on the wrong payment screen” is a load of BS! Shouldn’t even be on a payment screen of someone you aren’t speaking to anymore! The service is already terrible, to have them doing fraudulent things like this... I’m good!!! My payment history sucks! Doesn’t mean treat me like crap! Just gonna go back to PlayStation TV.

CenturyLink response

Hello Paul- we're sorry to see that your initial complaint wasn't properly handled, and that an un-authorized payment was deducted on behalf of the account. We'd like to look into this for you, and answer any questions you may have. Just respond to us here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

CenturyLink recently built a fiber optic grid in our area. We have been trying for months to get connected to this service. My neighbors on both sides and across the street have it, yet when I contact CenturyLink, they say the fiber optic high speed is not offered in my area. I have spent countless hours on the phone being placed on hold transferred given another phone number to try. This simply horrible. The amount of time spent on the phone with these people I could literally packed up the things in my home and moved my family to a Comcast service area.

No one at CenturyLink has any idea how to handle anything, just “here try this number”. I was told today, that my home is too new and was built after the design of the fiber optic grid was created, therefore they do not have a place for me in the grid without re-engineering. Who builds a multimillion dollar infrastructure without planning for future growth and development? Pissed off is the nicest thing I can say about Century Link. As others have stated, I’d rate them zero stars if that were an option.

CenturyLink response

Hello Steve- we're sorry to see that you haven't been properly helped with switching your speeds. We'd love to look into this for you, and answer any questions you may have, just let us know if you'd like the help by responding here. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

The Home wireless system did not operate in our home so I returned it and have been charged for four months after disconnecting the equipment, canceling the service with them on the phone and mailing back equipment. Several phone calls and lies later we are put into collections. Even after paying half the unfair charges and told that would settle it. It is an awful customer service network! Strongly advise anyone to steer clear of this company.

CenturyLink response

Hello Marge, we are sorry to see that you are trying to get charges disputed, and haven't received a viable solution. We'd like to look into this for you, and answer any questions that you may have. Just let us know if you'd like the help by responding here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I live 1.7 miles from the CenturyLink office, which I believe is the CO; closer you are to the CO, the faster your speeds. I have had CenturyLink DSL for years, even when it was Qwest. With that said, my current DSL modem shows I am connected at 16.379mbs. I have been paying for 20mbs and the guarantee is 16.1mbps. I finally got fed up with the service speed because the new $400 wireless router I purchased the last tech told me I needed, wasn't cutting it. I now see for the last week, my speed's average 1.7mbs! Spoke to another tech last night and he gives me the runaround saying he can see the 16.3 connection and he'll send someone over tomorrow during my work hours to check out my house and wiring.

When he performed his diagnostics, he rebooted my modem and we had nearly 9 mbs for about 20 m... when I told him I wanted a refund for this underhanded business practice, he gave me 30 days credit. How is this credit going to help me when I move over to Comcast? Not only is this a poor business practice, but I feel this is criminal. I would like a complete refund for the last 6 mos and these practices to cease. My parents have CenturyLink DSL and we'll be testing their connection speed this weekend too.

CenturyLink response

Hello Gene, we understand the frustration of trying to get service issues resolved. We'd be more than happy to look into this issues for you- just let us know if you'd like the help by responding here and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I have been being overcharged for over 14 months. Here is CenturyLink's response. "We no longer have contracts. What you were in originally was a contract. We more than likely put the available promotions on to discount the price and after the timeframe for the promotion to end, it went to the rack rate. In September of last year, we dropped the contracts and went to a single price to make it simpler for our customers. That's why it is cheaper now. It sounds like you were charged an extra deposit. -Kathy". It's so unethical to drop the price for service but just not tell anyone and keep having them pay crazy high prices. FRAUD.

CenturyLink response

Hello Aubrey, we'd be more than happy to explain and review the billing with you in order to clear any misunderstanding. Please just let us know if you'd like us to look into this for you by responding here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Our business phone & internet contract was done on 9-7-18 so we ported our phone to Midco where it was much cheaper. We wanted to keep our internet services at CenturyLink but switch them to residential instead of business. So on the 17th of September after the phone was totally ported out I went to the internet and signed up and paid for residential internet services using the $45.00's for life plan. After I was all signed up for residential internet services which would not start until the 21st, they told me to call the business end and have them cancel that service effective on the 21st. When I called the business office they informed me that my internet was being canceled as of that night. They said we authorized it when we never did. They said it was on the porting order from Midco and Midco said it was not so they blamed each other for the error and still disconnected my internet service without my authorization.

Since it was their mistake they tried to fix it and 3 service men came and spent 3 hours trying to get my internet going again the next day. Somehow in all this mess I ended up with 3 accounts, the old one, a new one I never wanted which they said would be temporary until my residential one kicked in on the 21st and of course my residential one that would not kick in until the 21st. So I figure this will all work itself out and then I got a bill for internet only for $97.00 and I called and was informed that I signed up for this and I said, “No, I signed up for the $45.00 residential price for life plan and that is the one I wanted.” She checked and told me they canceled that one.

When they again saw their error they told me I could have my internet services for $35.00 a month for life and that it would be the same plan as the one I signed up for at $45.00's a month for life. They said they were giving me a discount because of all the problems I had with them. Okay so a couple of weeks go by and they cancel my free Norton Anti-Virus without notice or explanation. So I call them and find out it doesn't come with the internet plan I signed up for which they now called a posted account. If my $35.00 plan was the same as the $45.00 plan I signed up for then I should have gotten free Norton with it. They kept telling me I signed up for this posted account and I did not. What I signed up for at $45.00 a month for life they canceled without my authorization and with no explanation.

Online I can't even find anything called a posted account. The girl also tried to tell me the $45.00 a month plan was only for new customers but I looked at it again today and it says it is for new and existing customers and the girl also told me today that the $45.00 a month plan does not come with free Norton but it clearly says it does. They also have posted on various web pages put on by CenturyLink that all their internet services include the Installer and Free Norton Anti-Virus software. To top it all off when I looked again at the $45.00 plan for life even the speed is more than I get now so it is a far better deal than what they gave me.

I do not like how CenturyLink is treating me. If they are not going to give me the account I signed up for that they canceled, the least they could do is give me back my free Norton for having to go through this whole almost 2 month hassle they have put me through for no reason except they keep canceling stuff without authorization from the customer and we have used their services since 1974. I sincerely hope CenturyLink corrects this problem with me instead of smugly telling me they don't care if I report them to the FTC which I did this afternoon because I got no place with them. People should be able to get the services they actually wanted instead of having the company cancel those service and give them services they never even signed up for. So CenturyLink if you are listening please fix this.

CenturyLink response

Hello Darwin- this sounds like a frustrating experience, and we'd love to look into this in order to get the differences between the accounts and information you've received resolved. Please respond here to get started- we look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

One star because there is not a zero stars. My internet service is horrible. I called today like I do regularly. They said nothing is wrong on our end like every other time, "It's your modem router. You have 11 meg going to your house, but only 8 meg at your router." I tried three modem routers. They all are at 8 meg. I could see a modem router problem if one was at 2 meg one was 5 meg and 8 meg, they are all the same. CenturyLink over sales the bandwidth and blames it on customers. "RUN" from CenturyLink.

CenturyLink response

Hello Gary, we apologize that you are not getting the speeds that you are paying for. We'd be more than happy to look into this for you- just respond to us here to get started, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Just terrible! Save your sanity and learn to crochet, knit, whittle wood anything to pass the time because all you will be doing is spending all your time restarting the modem to try to get a decent connection. If you have to call customer service lol. May the odds be ever in your favor.

CenturyLink response

Hi Kelly- we're sorry to see that you're having issues getting solid internet service, and would love to look into this for you. We understand the frustration of not receiving the service you are paying for. Just let us know if you'd like the help by responding here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

In April 2017 I canceled my phone service. Recently I also canceled my internet service. My final bill a charge for “voice“ was $200 for something I canceled over a year ago. This is only the last of the billing problems I have had with CenturyLink in the last few years.

CenturyLink response

Hi Leroy, we'd be more than happy to look into your old account for you, as well as answer any questions you may still have about the account or our services. Please just let us know if you need help by responding here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Paid for setup and installation @ $60.00, while internet performs very slowly, setup have not been completed. My phone line is above the ground for about 150'. I have called, arranged 3 separate appointments, and received no information, even though I have been charged for setup and install 2 months ago. This is frustrating to call CenturyLink every day, receive the automated recording that the repair ticket is "not completed". Please hold - transfers me to support which further states CenturyLink is waiting on my local county building department to approve my repair request.

Apparently I live in a state that is so regulated it gives a new meaning to progress moving forward. Common sense and leaving the DSL line above ground pending approval makes no sense. If I had options I would immediately move on with a responsible company. Giving me a BS line and stating my work is not completed while making no amends to correct the problem all the while taking on new customers and leaving my phone/DSL line above ground across the Arroyo and across my driveway is an experience I never considered would be ignored.

Calling every day to be certain my work order is in the system is frustrating. My neighbors all have internet service above 40MB - I have internet below 10MB thanks to this issue and needless to say, security is a concern since any fool can just rip out the cable. I have never heard so many excuses while I have paid for a service and CenturyLink has left the product unresolved. The only option I now have is to go with Satellite since the County apparently must approve any work repairs for a common utility.

CenturyLink response

Hello we are sorry to see that your exposed line issue has not been resolved just yet. We'd be glad to look into this concern for you, as well as answer any questions you may have in order to find a solution to your problem. Just respond to us here to get started, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I have been a customer since 1999. I wanted to upgrade to 12mg internet in mid-September. First they lost my order then the last week of September I was able to set up an appt for Oct 11th. I am still waiting for the tech to show up a week later. I have called almost every day, chatted and emailed and just get a runaround and no one within the company will call back! One time my online work order showed they would be here 12/31/2020??? Still waiting for another call tomorrow but not holding my breath. If I ran my business like this I would be broke!!!

CenturyLink response

Hello Doug- we apologize that you've encountered so many issues trying to get your services upgraded. We'd be more than happy to look into this concern for you, as well as answer any questions you may have. Just let us know if you'd like the help by responding here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I have been trying unsuccessfully since May 2018 to get my billing correct on services. I have been promised my problem has been credited and corrected, only to find the following bills either unchanged, or actually higher than the original. I finally dropped services, and changed to a new plan. This plan was supposed to be for internet and local phone service only for a stated amount of $85.00 a month lifetime with no contract. My first bill I received was for services I no longer have, plus all types of credits removed and charges I already paid for early termination fees. I had been told a fee of $242.00 had been removed for previous incorrect charges, yet it remained. Also, for the same account number for the same period I received a disconnect notice for $130.24 - which still was an incorrect bill, but is now an ADDITIONAL bill somehow.

Now I am being charged for entertainment services I do not receive - I turned in all Dvr Equipment 5 days after cancellation of the Prism services. I am being charged for unlimited Nationwide calling- which was supposed to be local service only, and also services for 3 way calling, caller Id, etc and every other service that comes with that particular package, yet I have none of these features on my phone. I have spend HOURS on the phone, lost time from work, been totally without service, and STILL NOTHING has been resolved. At this point I am considering consulting an attorney to see what my options are.

CenturyLink response

Hello Nola- we understand the frustration of not receiving accurate information, as well as having to dispute incorrect billing while not getting the proper care to get that issue resolved. We'd be glad to look into this for you, just let us know if you'd like the help by responding here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I've tried logging into the CenturyLink website multiple times but it needs my account number. I request my account number and they email me two different account numbers. NEITHER WORK. I am trying to pay my bills, and it's not allowing me to do so. "So contact customer service" you might say. I HAVE. They basically said they don't know what's going on and to wait for my bill in the mail WHICH WILL HAVE THE SAME ACCOUNT NUMBER THAT'S IN THE EMAIL, SO HOW WILL THAT HELP ME?

On top of that, chatting with the tech support online is beyond frustrating because they take like two minutes in-between every reply no matter how simple the statement or question, so you know they're just probably texting on their phones, checking Facebook, etc. Tried calling on the phone and was on hold for 20 minutes, someone picked up, immediately put me on hold, then hung up after five minutes to make it look like they talked to me for the record. Absolute garbage of a company. I've had it for two weeks and it already makes me want to throw my router out of a 10 story window. STAY AWAY.

CenturyLink response

Hello Brandon, we're sorry to see that you haven't been provided with necessary information or help to get this issue with your online account resolved. We'd be glad to look into this for you, just let us know if you'd like the help by responding here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I called CenturyLink to get my 88 year old parents’ phone and internet disconnected. The person “assisting” me read from a script at mock speed; I could barely understand him. Thank goodness I called rather than my parents. The CenturyLink employee was unrelenting in cross-examining me about the phone service they would use when they move. In frustration I got firm and said, “They DO NOT need CenturyLink where they are going. I have limited time. Please get to it now!!!” I was told he needed to follow “protocol” and he continued to persist in his sales pitch. It was an absolutely HORRIBLE experience. My parents, who have been loyal customers, deserve better. (Many of the companies I’ve called to cancel services for my parents say, “Please thank your parents for being great customers and wish them well.”) Not CenturyLink. They only want to make MORE money off two 88 year olds. Aaargh. Do NOT use CenturyLink!

CenturyLink response

Hello Dane, we want to apologize for the negative experience you had trying to get your parent's account disconnected. We wanted to offer our assistance should you still have questions or concerns in regards to our services, and/or your parent's account. Just respond here, and we'll keep an eye out for you.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

My experience with CenturyLink is easily the worst I've ever had with any company in my entire life. The prices are half decent but that's the only good thing about the service. It took them three weeks from the order date for them to get a technician to set it up. I don't know if any of you have tried being a college student without internet for weeks at a time, but it should go without saying, it's inconvenient to say the least. On top of that, when the day finally came, no one showed up. Turns out, their system thought the setup date was scheduled for 2020. Because that makes sense, right? Finally, someone came in the days following. We finally had internet... at a whopping 12mbps (10 reliably). Cause that's the best they could do. Ever try downloading a film or game at that speed? It took 6 hours just to download an update for one of my games.

Finally, we were able to update to 20mbps. But then no one showed on the scheduled upgrade date. The speed did not increase. That was yesterday. Today, our internet decided to stop working altogether. There's no DSL connection. There's a tech (supposedly) arriving tomorrow. We just paid a $140 bill for this. And we may even have to pay for repairs. This is less than two months into the service. It's deplorable. Their call in customer support is absolutely useless. Half the time, we can't figure out what each other is saying due to poor call quality or heavy accents. Other times they're just useless altogether. I only use online chat now. Because it seems they at least have an idea of what they're doing. I honestly believe that the only reason they still exist here in Prescott, Arizona is because there's no competition. This is my second time using their service. Once I graduate and get out of here, it'll hopefully be the last.

CenturyLink response

Hello Chris, we understand the frustration of not getting the services you are paying for, as well as the help needed to get issues resolved. We'd be more than happy to look into this for you- just let us know if you'd like the help by responding here and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

For two months now we have been billed for service that we don’t even have. When we first called to get service three weeks went by so we decided to go elsewhere. My husband has called them many times to get this fixed and they still keep billing us.

CenturyLink response

Hello Josh- we understand the frustration that stems from needing to dispute your billing. We'd love to look into this for you in order to find a solution- just send us a response here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I have CenturyLink service only because it’s the only thing available to me in this area. I’ve had internet trouble off and on for a number of years, but in the past three months, I might as well have NO service. I wish I could see the record of my calls to their repair/tech service! Their online test as well as their My Century app test results are pathetic. They show that I’m online. I’m not! When I get the repair service on the phone, they discover that there is a problem with my service and whoops! I’m actually not online! So, we schedule yet another repair ticket.

There have been 4 techs out here in 3 weeks. Twice I’ve waited 4 days for a scheduled “next day” repair. Yep, one of those “we’ll be there between 8-5 and make sure someone is home” deals. It’s 10:24 PM and I’m still waiting on the FIFTH repairman, who was supposed to be here between 8-5 today! No one seems to care... Although they say they do. How many people enjoy paying top dollar for crappy service, month after month, year after year, with absolutely no recourse. CenturyLink ranks THE lowest in internet service across the nation. I would imagine they are right up there in their customer service as well. If only we had another choice here in Hamilton Texas...

CenturyLink response

Hello Lynn, we apologize that your service appointments have been missed, and that the repair to get your internet up and running has not completed properly. We'd be glad to get some eyes on this- just let us know if you'd like the help by responding here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

Since June 2018 (currently October 2018) - I have been working with this company to upgrade our services. They scheduled me for a technician to come out to install the upgrade Oct 11th (between 8 am and 5 pm) - this was their first available appointment. Oct 11th they didn't show up but when I arrived home, I had no phone service and no internet service. I immediately called and was scheduled for a technician to arrive on Sat Oct 13th (between 8-12). No one showed up. No customer service person available to figure out what happened and technical support team couldn't answer either. Called Monday Oct 15th. Account put on "vacation" and disconnected.

The cust service rep said she reconnected everything and would take 30 minutes to reboot. 4.5 hours later I called again and after cust service got transferred back to tech support who said he would have to schedule a tech to come out on Wed (Oct 16). I have no phone service, live in an area with limited cell phone service so I rely on internet to boost my signal - I HAVE NO INTERNET. I am sick of CenturyLink but NO OTHER COMPANY CAN OFFER PHONE OR INTERNET BECAUSE I AM IN CENTURYLINK AREA! Sounds like the worst nightmare monopoly ever.

CenturyLink response

Hello Lori- we are sorry to see that your services are down, and that you haven't been properly helped with your upgrade. We'd love to look into this issue for you, as well as answer any questions you may have. Just let us know if you'd like the help by responding here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

BEWARE OF THIS COMPANY! I had the awful experience of paying for Century Link years ago and vowed to never use them again after many hours lost on hold to get questions on services that were being paid for and not working. They sent me to collections for $209 which I disputed and eventually just paid $110 so that it would come off of my husband's credit. It has now reappeared after it was paid almost a year ago. I have been hung up on after a 25 min wait, 45 min wait, and am currently on a 45 min wait to speak to a supervisor as the last person in collections shows I don’t owe anything. SAVE YOURSELF. Don’t use. 1 star is too much in my opinion. Nothing can repair your credit once they mess it up for absolutely no fair reason. (My two children under 2 years old have been missing their mama for hours while I sat on hold and tried getting ready for work at the same time.)

CenturyLink response

Hello Stephanie, we understand the frustration that stems from not receiving the proper help to get this issue resolved. We'd be happy to investigate this for you in order to reach a solution- just respond here to get started, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

A rating of 1 is too good! Never, ever before have I encountered worse customer service. Twelve customer service calls just to get clarity on installation date & time only to be stood up by the installer with no notification or communication. I had to call customer service three more times to figure out what happened. They had scheduled too many service calls for the day and offered to reschedule a week hence. Once the customer service rep told us our installation was unilaterally cancelled, she asked us to sign up for telephone service! This callous disregard for customers left me in speechless wonder!

I cancelled and went with their competitor Suddenlink. The customer service with Suddenlink was exemplary. They installed our Internet service the next day! When calling CenturyLink to figure out how to return the Cable Modem we bought from them ($100 vs Suddenlink $80), the customer service rep gave me a link and then hung up. The link to return policy and instructions was broken, yielding a 404 error. Stay away from this awful company!!!

CenturyLink response

Hello Jim - we apologize that the experiences you had with CenturyLink led you to cancel and switch to another provider. We'd be glad to answer any questions you may have, just let us know if you'd like the help by responding here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

There was no CenturyLink service at my address. They had to lay down a new line to my home address. But they said I had a business on this address. So I would have to email or fax my address in. Yet every email I sent in was denied and was sent back to failed message. But if a business has a different address for mailing and the home address has no lines to it why would you need a lease agreement for a brand new customer. The one that should be question would be the business since their mailing address doesn't match their internet address. They should really work on mapping out correct business addresses.

CenturyLink response

Hello E.G. ; we understand the frustration of not getting properly assisted with establishing services with us. We'd like to look into this concern for you, and answer any questions you may have- just respond here, and we'll take it from there.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

Absolutely insane business practices. It took me 4 hours over two days just to change my address, then I find out later that I’m on some stupid “simple pay” crap, meaning I can make no manual payments, and because I didn’t have an updated card my internet was shut off on a Sunday. I tried to update the card, but it wouldn’t process the payment (because you know, no manual payments, makes sense to me) and now I have no internet. Customer service won’t help me because that department “is only open Monday through Friday”. Absolutely freaking ridiculous, wouldn’t they WANT to be paid??? I’m filing a complaint with the FCC on this as well.

CenturyLink response

Hello Lisa- we apologize that you are having issues getting your services restored. We'd like to look into this issue for you, and answer any questions you may have. Just let us know if you'd like the help by responding here, and we'll take it from there.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

Last May I received an email that my bill was due on the 15th but not to worry, I was on auto-pay. I called and told the rep that I had not signed up for the service, CenturyLink didn't service in Pennsylvania, and that I would not be billed again. Now, I have received the same email for October and must go through the whole process of contacting their Customer Service to get it straightened out. Seems as though there is something fishy about all this.

CenturyLink response

Hello Wiley- we apologize that you are getting billing emails for an account that is not yours. We'd like to look into this for you, as well as answer any questions you may have- just send us a response here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

CenturyLink expert review by ConsumerAffairs

CenturyLink was founded 1968 and is now the third largest DSL provider in the United States. The company provides Internet, television, home security and home phone services. It also partners with Verizon to offer cell phone service. Customers receive discounts for subscribing to multiple CenturyLink services.

• International plans: CenturyLink offers reduced rates for calling select countries in Central and South America. They also have plans for other international call and plans specifically for calling Canada.

• Extra features: Consumers can choose a plan with a wide variety of features, including call forwarding, caller ID, three-way calling, voicemail and more.

• Refer-a-friend: CenturyLink’s refer-a-friend program rewards consumers when someone signs up for a new service using an existing customer’s referral link. If the new customer remains with the company for two months, both parties receive a gift card worth up to $75, depending on the type of service the new customer selects.

• Online support: The Guidance Center section of CenturyLink’s website has tools to help customers with questions or problems. If customers can’t solve the problem on their own, they can easily make a service call request from the same page on the website.

• Best for: CenturyLink is best for consumers who want to bundle multiple services.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs