CenturyLink

formerly Qwest

Compare Internet Service Providers

Research top Internet Service Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Now and then I receive bills that we in Sweden call "air bills" in other words they don't have an order that requires a settlement. This is a bogus company that live on people who think that every bill they get is legitimate and should be paid. That is one way they make money. One other way is to catch consumers who want to make monthly payments. I read some complaints about this company and the complaints are in the thousands. It seems that they are into phone, mobile and cable businesses that require monthly installments. This is something that every consumer should be aware of. Including, naturally how they treat their customers.

For me these bluff bills have been the only problem. I never respond in any way, just delete. The latest one is that the company have branched out A pay (Paying any monthly installment). Just asking about it on any website alerts then even if that site is the one you do business with and is a secure one with a padlock.

I honestly believe that they are good at phishing. They recently sent me a mail about paying my monthly installment. I trashed it. Today I got a reminder. In it they used an unknown name and my surname. That is a dead giveaway. Trash it. Many on this site have had horrible experiences with them. I hope my review will help the ones who get a mail from them out of the blue. I am very sorry for the consumers who have trusted them and who are stuck with any monthly payment. Get help. I am glad to have become a member because of my curiosity about CenturyLink.

My day started off with calling CenturyLink on my existing account. After being transferred to the "correct department" four times and 45 minutes of my day wasted, I was told they couldn't help me. I was simply asking to change my direct deposit withdraw date by 2 days. I called a couple months ago asking this and they said it was done. It was not and on this call they told me "it is impossible to change your date" and they would keep auto debiting my acct on the 30th when I get paid on the 1st. I have never come into contact with any company who cannot change your withdraw date. My only other option is to remove direct deposit and lose my discounts.

Later today I got a call from a collection agency saying I owe money on a closed acct from 2011. I closed this acct in August of 2011 yet they continued to charge me through November of 2011. This is literally the first I have heard of this and it's 5 years old. It was not even mentioned when I opened my new acct in May of 2016. Absolutely blows my mind. Not 1 bill, notice or collection notice in 5 years. After over 2 hours of dealing with this and being disconnected several times, during needless transfers, I was eventually told they have lost all archived notes so they cannot confirm I requested the acct be closed and unless I had the confirmation code from 5 years ago, there is nothing they will do. My mind is blown!!! I will be closing my current acct with them ASAP. If you are smart you will run from them!!!

CenturyLink has worked hard to earn the worst ISP. I made the mistake of subscribing to one of their deals and was appalled by the slow and repeated interruption of the service. I requested a service cancellation and have been trying for days to get a refund for the service that I terminated with no avail. I'm constantly met with rude customer service representatives who basically say that's the way it is. Billing has been a nightmare. Right now I'm chatting with a customer service representative who does not know why I'm being charged for a service I'm not using. I canceled my service and returned the modem. CenturyLink acknowledges that I did both and still want to charge me for a service I'm not using. They acknowledge that the bill should be adjusted. Instead of doing so, they are transferring me from one representative to another. I've spent hours being transferred between several representatives, and still at square one. Never again.

I was never told that I had to pay for the router that CenturyLink was installing in my home. I was only told that there would be an installation fee. The day the tech came out to install it he told me he would waive the fee. When I got my bill there was a $100.99 charge on it. When I called to see what the charge was it was for the router. The only option that the guy (who could barely speak English and did not seem to know anything) could give me was to send the router back to them.

When I said that I wanted a payment option he was unable to do it. That one encounter took an hour of day away from work. When I called back to talk to someone else it was a female who had an attitude from the moment she answered the phone. And guess what? She couldn't do one single thing to help me out. What do these people get paid for? I am so tired of these companies screwing over the little guy! CenturyLink you SUCK!!! If I thought any of your competitors would be any better I would go with them. But I'm sure that's what you count on.

For 5 months I've Been trying to resolve this situation to get my bill down. They offered 27.99 for new customers. I was currently at about 70.00 a month. So I called them since I was a 8 year customer I felt that they should work with me to see if they could help lower my bill or I was going to switch to a local internet provider that offered a higher speed for 32.00 a month. They sent me to the loyalty department since they claimed they couldnt do anything to lower my bill, so I was about to cancel my service with them. The loyalty dept. rep said they could keep me on for 35.00 a month.

To make a long story short the next month was 102.00 a month with no change in service so once again I got on the phone for about 4 hours, and once again was told I was at 35.00 a month. Next months bill was 70.00, and another 4 hours on the phone with them. Next months bill was 90.00 a month and hours on the phone, last month another 90.00 but at least they reimbursed me 90.00 last month but now this month it's 120.00. I've had it. I'm gonna now just switch providers, (which now the promo is no longer available) but the hours on the phone with the lousy customer service and lies about my bill will at last be over with! And their internet is also lousy. If you have a choice, avoid CenturyLink! You'll save a lot of frustration and money!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CenturyLink?

Moved service from one house to another. CenturyLink raised my bill and placed me on another one year contract claiming new service even though the account number stayed the same. I did not have service for a two week period connected to any residence. CenturyLink billed me for an entire month plus the month plus the first month of the "so-called" new contract. Changing addresses raised my internet service from $55.00 to $75.00 and a new contract for the same services. When I attempted to speak with a CenturyLink agent to discuss my bill, I was hung up on by several agents including management. In order, to disconnect service bill move be current. Which means you would have to pay for the highway robbery charges they take upon themselves to add to your bill. CenturyLink does not screen their calls. Agent are allowed to hang up on and be deceiving to us customers. HORRIBLE SERVICE CENTURYLINK.

I receive my first bill for my internet use, then I receive a bill for my Prism use, then they, CenturyLink, combines them about a week later. I pay my bill. Not so fast!! I let a few days go by and wella!!!! I'm charged again for something I did not order or even know about. This has been happening for 11 months. I call customer service and hear the same line every time - "Sir our system is changing please be patient as we work this out." For years they have been "switching the billing from Qwest to CenturyLink."

I got my attorney general involved back in May of 16, VP from CenturyLink called me!! Told me my bill would froze at $93 per month for two years due to their incompetence. Lies. My bill never froze, it just kept going up. Here today, I checked my CL account and see I am again being charged for what I do not know cuz I paid for December. I called my atty general again. They remembered me. I sent in a new complaint form as requested by my atty general. They are baffled as to why this company does not repair their system. The BBB will not give CL a rating due to their HS service.

Keep getting wrong high bills for services I don’t have. Make a catastrophic mistake of asking Century Link to add internet and VOIP to my landline. From the minutes after installation numerous problems started, adversely affecting my internet system, loss of phone etc. Within 20min of installation, disconnected everything to resort to my basic land line. After several hrs of being on the phone, with staff that appear to have the expertise of only reading templates, and 10s and 10s of phone call, after cancelling their services, I still get notice of late payment. Customers... Do yourself a favor and stay away from this company. If I would have read some of the reviews, I would have never tried to get anything from this company.

I have been managing businesses for many years now. How is CenturyLink still bringing in cash? This is easily the worst customer service I've experienced over the duration of 7 months using them. For another 30 days until Charter gets setup in my building CenturyLink is the only option for Internet and Phone for my business in the building we operate from. EVERY communication with them has been insulting and bizarre. I was told if I dont like it I can leave by an annoyed rep when I called for the 3rd time to setup automatic payments which evidently didnt work the first 2 times I set it up.

When I had the initial lines installed they dangled the modem from the wall between a freezer and refrigerator in the kitchen area of my business. Nowhere near my office!!! I called back and they wanted to charge me to move it since they were there once already!!! EVERY TIME I called customer service their employees were very poorly trained and rude (I'm sure they are just tired of working under such a poorly run company). Please sell your company to another that cares about their customers so those who have no choice like me dont lose more hair dealing with you!

I am a college student and a full-time worker who lives on his own and putting myself through school. I moved into my apartment in August of 2015 and because I'm in school, I needed affordable, but reliable internet service. I came across a flyer in my mailbox for basic internet/cable for 70$ a month for 12 months. So in October of 2015 I decided to give it a try, and from there the nightmare started (the nicest way I can put it). The person who set up my account over the phone from across the country messed everything up from the start. Then the technician never showed up the day he was scheduled.

When he did finally show up, I asked for the window of 12pm-4pm because I had to leave for work at 5pm, he got to my place around 1pm and it took him over 4 hours to run the phone line from the outside to inside and hook up the set top box/modem. Majority of the time I could see him standing, talking on his cell phone next or in his truck out my window. Needless to say I was late for work that day. Then a few weeks later I get my first bill and it's for $350. I was livid, so I called and complained and wanted something done. This person made excuses and blamed the person who set me up and proceeded to give me the runaround.

Finally I "Thought" I had everything straightened out. Come to find the next not 1, not 2, not 3, but 6 months billing was wrong and had to call back and argue, each time my patience dwindling and anger growing. Finally I was assured the problem was finally fixed and was, for one billing period, then the bill was still 5$ more then what I was originally quoted but I was so fed up I said forget it and just accepted it. It was better than the 15$/20$/25$ differences I was seeing previously.

Thought that might be the end of my issues, but NO. Then about 5 months later the equipment I paid outright 100$ from the start so I didn't have to rent it for $9 a month every month, crapped out for no reason and I had to have it replaced. Now I'm moving out of my apartment to move back in with family while I complete my BAS and they want to charge me a "early termination" fee for BOTH services individually. I was just told it would be 200$ for the internet and 240$ for the cable PLUS my last month's bill which will bring the total to over $600. Almost more than my rent costs me a month! To top this all off their internet is not reliable and their cable freezes all the time.

To say I am irate is an understatement! This company is nothing but a bunch of corporate, white collar, crooks who will squeeze every last dime out of their already unhappy/unsatisfied customers! I also want to file a complaint to the BBB because why they do just doesn't seem right. My only advice is that if you see a flyer or any "special offers" in your mail from CenturyLink... Burn them and run in the opposite direction because you will be living a true nightmare just as I am now.

In late Nov of 2016 a young lady knocked on our door and said that CenturyLink had just installed cable on our street and was offering a 30 days trial on cable TV. If we didn't like it we could cancel free of charge in 30 days. The door to door salesperson would not put the price in writing. In subsequent follow ups to confirm the charges we were given a different price each time, always more than the last. They always say, "I don't know who you spoke to the last time, but..." Once installed, the reception was so horrible (pixelated and frozen screen at least 15 times per hour) that we canceled immediately. On our bill we were charged $240 as a cancellation penalty. It took three representatives and more than an hour on the phone to get the charge removed.

We have CenturyLink phone and internet service. Sadly it is our only option. The service does not work. The repair people will not show up. We can not get any response from their Customer Service Dept. If you call them you get Beebalabobala in Bangladesh. The only thing that comes in as it should is the bill. If you have any other options DO NOT USE CENTURYLINK.

I have been trying to apply for a new account with your company. Yesterday (1/3/17), I had the pleasure of speaking to a phone representative of yours in installing internet service to my home. But unfortunately I was disconnected from the representative during the transaction. I received an alert that my credit history was checked by your company before we were disconnected.

So tonight 1/4/17 at 2056h, I called again to hopefully continue business with your good company. The female representative I was speaking to was VERY RUDE! I am a prospective client with high credit score. She was very rude and curt!!! Please review the recording of our phone conversation. When I expressed my dismay about having my credit score checked again, instead of continue encouraging me to buy your product, she was rude and very indignant! Despite that, I still gave her my SSN again. But her credit score inquiry did not go through. I asked her "would this 2nd review on my credit score be reflected on my credit history, and if I try again tomorrow, would that be the third time my credit score would be checked?" She said "yes." I expressed my disappointment, but never at any point of our phone conversation was I rude.

Instead of apologizing and continue selling me the product, she curtly asked me if there's anything else she could do for me, as if to end our conversation. And when I asked for her name, she hanged up on me without answering my question. I believe you have great services to offer, but this kind of customer service would drive any prospective or even current customers away. I also work in a customer service-related field, and I highly recommend that she be provided with the ample and professional training on providing high quality sales and service to valued customers or future customers. I would like to file a formal complaint regarding this matter and you can reach me preferably through email, but you may also contact me through phone. Thank you for your prompt response to this matter.

CenturyLink Customer service fails to tell you about all the HIDDEN COST of their $24.95 Internet promotion. If you sign up for this special promotion you will really be bill in excess of $80.00 for your first billing and then the promotion will turn into about a $50.00 monthly charge depending if you purchase the modem. Upon contacting their very "curt" Customer Service about the additional charges they very bluntly explain "that is what your billing will be for the next two years."

I sent an inquiry by mail and instead of getting an answer someone took the time to write me a letter and tell me to look on the website which I would have done if I was able to find an answer which I could no thanks to horrible website. FCC should close down this company.

I signed up with CenturyLink in the fall of 2015 and was promised 5 years at the rate of $62.00 (plus change) per month. Installation went smoothly. Good customer service when I had a problem. Everything changed one year later when a bill for $85.47 arrived. They didn't care what I was promised. The 5-year rate was obviously a scam to hook those of us who hate arguments with cable/ISP companies. You can see the difference in customer service below: Originally on 10/17/15 - first month's bill: Our recurring monthly cost will be $62.00 plus change. She will note on my account that this rate is good for 5 years, but she could not log it in due to billing codes being different. If it expires next year, I can call and tell them to look in the notes to verify they should renew the monthly rate at $62.00 plus change.

On 11/2/2016 Spoke with Niketa at CenturyLink Phone #1-866-270-7498. She said the discount I had been given ran out which is why my bill went up by $25. I told her what I was promised, a 5-year guaranteed rate of $62.00 plus change. After long conversation she agreed to charge $55.51 for next month's bill to compensate for the $85.47 cost this month. Charge will be $60.55 through 11/2/17. I told her I was angry at being lied to one year ago, that this is typical with internet/cable companies--promise the moon when you sign up and throw all promises out the window one year later. Told her I have a quote from Time Warner in front of me for $89.99 per month for 30Mbps Internet, TV, unlimited calling. Why would I pay $85.47 for just 25Mbps internet and phone with no TV? She said I should call back in September 2017 to negotiate for the following year.

12/3/2016 Spoke to Nickamica Phone at 1-866-270-7498. Didn't seem to know anything about conversation on 11/2 although Niketa told me on 11/2 that she had documented everything on my account for future reference. Nickamica put me on hold for 1-2 minutes to check. Said she can get it down to $60.48. I asked what my bill is for this month. She said $70.47. I told her that was unacceptable and I will not pay it. I was promised the bill would be $51.55 this month to make up for the overcharge last month. I will cancel service on 12/13 and I will go with Time Warner, RTEC, or another Internet provider. Told her I am not angry at her because she is following company policy, but I am not playing this game every month. She asked me to hold on while she checked to see what she could do. She came back and said she got this month's bill down to $50.80 and it will be $60.40 per month until 12/3/17. I agreed and thanked her for her help.

On Dec. 31, received a bill for $70.84. I did an online conversation with yet another rep today to fully document the event as well as promises made. Corey ** said my discounts expired and my new cost is $80.33 plus tax per month. I have the full conversation documented but won't bore you with those details. The upshot is CenturyLink lies constantly, deliberately, and will continue playing games with your monthly bill no matter what promises are made via phone or internet conversation. We cut cable with Time Warner after 20+ years due to a huge annual billing increase. With CenturyLink, the battle is monthly. They are sharks. You need to get out of their water now. Better yet, don't ever swim there. Shameful!

I have a 24 month term commitment for internet. I recently moved and when I got my first bill, I realized they are charging me $10 extra. I spoke to a customer representative named Helen and she wasn't able to find why my bill was $10 more. When I said "Why can't you explain this?", she raised her voice (yes, literally) and said the same thing over and over again "I can get you to retainer department". I said "Yes, please do so." but she hung up on me.

I called again and talked to another person. In the meantime I compared my previous bill and current bill and noticed that I am not getting full promotion that 24 month term commitment brings. He wasn't even going to notice if I hadn't seen the differences on my bills. He transferred me to retainer department and there was another person with short temperament. Even though, I was very kind, she didn't want to listen and wanted to cut me off all the time. When I asked her why I am not getting the full promotion anymore, she said "because you moved". I continued "What's the purpose of having 2 year commitment if my bill is going to change?" She couldn't explain that. I feel like CenturyLink just finds people with no customer service experience. They are all clueless and rude. I don't recommend CenturyLink at all.

I like to pay bills with money order, etc., CenturyLink 2016 did not get a bill to me 2 times and I always send it registered, they lost it after they signed for it. I have talked with other people in my area that pay the old way and they have the same problems with them, funny, funny!! P.S. Stop identity theft. Pay cash.

It has been three weeks and CenturyLink still fail to send out anyone that can actually fix my issue! I keep getting the runaround about when someone will come. When someone decides to show they're not qualified so the issue is prolonged once again and my family is still without internet or TV. I was told a field manager would contact last week. Still waiting on that call. This is the absolutely worse company to have service through. I wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy.

Comcast recently ran fiber optic around my neighborhood, so I thought I'd try switching to their service for enhanced internet speed. I started by telephoning and speaking to someone who acted like she was 12 while we struggled through spelling the simplest words and lots of repetition. We finally finished about an hour later, when she offered me my account number. I requested that she email it to me. On the next day, someone from the company phoned me to ask me to participate in a required computerized telephone questionnaire. I could barely understand a word she said, but I agreed to wait five minutes on hold for it to begin.

After holding for more than ten minutes, the call was ended from her side. When I phoned back three times to resume the process, I was told by each person that they were unable to find any record of my ordering a new account. When I got around to calling again to try opening a new account, I was told that the computers were down. Really? What an inept company!

It seemed like I was talking to a robot, who could not answer a simple question about CenturyLink physical locations around me. The representative said that he could not identify me and would suggest calling customer service again! What?! I was talking to a customer service representative! Why do I need to be identified as a customer? All his answers were - "call us again later, call us again later, call us again later..." My actual reason for calling was to disconnect my service, which I have not even used. I was within the time range to get my money back, if not satisfied with their service or a change of mind.

When I ordered their service, they asked me for a $50 security deposit. When I called to disconnect, they told me that the activation fee of $19.99 is non-refundable! What?! What fee? What activation? Nobody mentioned anything about that before! I did not even open their cable box and have not connected anything! The second customer service guy acted like he doesn't know anything and has no idea why I was not aware of that. Moreover, they would not cancel my service the same day. Since it was Friday, my cancellation would take place on Monday! Wow! No more CenturyLink in my life for sure, or until they dramatically improve their customer service!

This company has a pattern of lies. They lie lie lie. They will charge more for services than what they promised. They will add unauthorized devices and worst customer service of all. Never do business. You will regret IT.

I had the worst experience with this company! First I was promised my bill will be 29.99 and I paid every month 53.00. The internet fell down after couple month. I called so many times stating for hours in phone, they didn't fix it, they send another model, didn't work. They never solve your problem. They charged me for the service I didn't had and after I disconnected the service after they sent two guys to check what's going on and they told me CenturyLink can't give me Internet service and I have to chose another company and there isn't any signal around my home because the area where I live. They were so mean. Told me to pay termination fee even they couldn't give me internet service. I had to stay with them no matter what. There is anyone to explain me that because you don't pay for service that you don't get.

In spite of having service with CenturyLink SINCE 1977, my mother-in-law was still held responsible for a $200 bill for "service" incurred AFTER SHE PASSED AWAY. So much for customer loyalty, and even human decency. The estate hasn't even been settled yet and funds came from her daughter (a single mother and teacher's personal account). Despicable. Honestly, it's inconceivable to me to be charged for service after one's death when the service is "virtual" in the first place. It's not like someone mowing the lawn or providing labor - would have only taken a reasonable customer service rep and copy of death certificate, but CenturyLink refused. Unbelievable.

CenturyLink installed an Internet connection at my home. When I originally ordered the service, they told me that I needed their router because the customer handoff was fiber. It turns out that it was actually copper, so I could use my old router. The technician told me that he would send the router back to CenturyLink, and the $99 modem fee would be removed from my bill; unfortunately, this never happened.

I have contacted CenturyLink probably eight times to try and get this resolved. Every single time that I have called them, I have had to explain what happened because apparently nobody makes notes in their ticketing software at CenturyLink. This entire ordeal has been a nightmare. It amazes me that CenturyLink is so stubborn about a $99 modem (that in reality is probably worth less than $20 retail).

None of the CSRs that I have spoken with have been able to remove the fee, and when it appears that a CSR has made some headway, when I call back a few days later to see if the charge has been removed, the person that answers the phone has no clue what I am talking about. I feel like I am talking to someone with anterograde amnesia. My recommendations to future customers of CenturyLink are to 1) find out if you really even need the router and 2) if you weren't sure if you needed the router and you ordered it, don't give it back to the technician to return. Return it yourself.

Unbelievable, horrible, service. Had CenturyLink for 12 months due to a locked in contract. The internet constantly cut out for intermittent spells (sometimes 5 minutes sometimes over an hour) every day. Streaming TV was painful, but couldn't even stream music or send simple e-mails at times. They had service people out several times in the 12 months... Cannot believe how much time I wasted on them trying to get it to work properly. Finally, contract is over and I cancel.

Cancelling was another horrendous process. First they "didn't process it all the way". I learned after calling them 10 days after the cancellation and not receiving my equipment return box. Second, they insisted on billing me for the upcoming month even though the service was cancelled. Said I would get a late charge if I didn't pay it and then they would issue me a credit on the statement following that. Apparently the "cancellation" and removal of the upcoming months' fees won't show up until after the next statement is issued (which is after the due date of the first bill that I really don't owe). What do I do with a statement credit? Really, really, shameful service on all fronts.

Centurylink charges me $120 a month for just DSL service. No television, no home phone, nothing. This is a ridiculously high price, especially in light of the lousy service dropping off every 30 minutes or so. I tried to change internet providers but I have none available in my area. CenturyLink has a complete monopoly on my area and they are taking as much advantage of that as they can.

My 85 year old mom has been billed incorrectly for premium channels and we cannot get issued resolved because we are dealing with CenturyLink (billing company) and Directv. After 4 months the issue is unresolved with both companies blaming the other. Do not ever agree to combine services from 2 companies. CenturyLink has the worst customer service with rude representatives.

I wanted my landline removed and keep the internet service. They ended up cancelling all services giving the phone/internet port to someone else. Contacted them by phone to resolve the issue, they said there were no ports left to give out and didn't know when one would be available. Upon talking to the CSR she told me that we were being overcharged for the last 8 years for a modem that hasn't been in use for the last 96 months. She refunded three months of overcharges and informed me that was as far back as she could go. After 5 phone calls and lasting hours on end no one knew anything and kept the transfer game going. All in we were left with nothing. Mad I have to rate them with a star wouldn't give them anything.

I have been a customer since 2014, but I have suffered from the worst with this company. I finally canceled the cable TV service, because every month they raise my bill, they give me an offer of three months and next month they raise my bill. But the worst, when I canceled the cable they got upset and made a mess. They created me two accounts, they put the phone in one and the internet was left on the first count. They call me that they will install it on December 23, 2016, and they did not connect it.

I called and they passed me like six people and for hours they did not solve the problem. They wanted to make a third account, as I did not allow them, they left me without phone and without internet until new notice and I paid all my bill every month. I have paid thousands of dollars with your changes of offers and the internet is not good. Please someone should sue this company, this looks like what WELLS FARGO did, is a fraud in capital letters. PLEASE HELP.

Compare Home Phone Service