3.01/5
Based on 2,900 ratings submitted in the last year

formerly Qwest

CenturyLink Reviews

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

I'm old. My house is old??? Tech couldn't find any of the land lines into my house that would work for my internet so he plugged it in next door. Works fine with a booster in my house...my old house. But isn't there anyway my box can come home? I have no cable or landline because I'm old...really old. And no $$$$. Bad enough I have to share my dinner with my old dog. Because we're old...really old. And have no $$$$.

CenturyLink response

Hello, Carin. That's certainly unusual and I'm sorry that this happened. Let me see what I can find out and what we can do to get the equipment set up properly. Send us a message on here and I can get started.

Original review: July 26, 2019

Dan from CenturyLink came out to our home today and he installed our new internet and cleaned up outside previous cables from other companies at no charge. He was thorough, professional, patient and very receptive to questions. Highly recommend him for your installation. 5 stars!

CenturyLink response

Hello Matthew, we're so glad to hear that you had a great experience with one of our techs - this is definitely the type of work ethic we want to encourage, so thank you for taking the time to provide us with the feedback. If anything crops up in the future, and you have questions or concerns, then please send us a message here, and we'll be happy to help.

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 13, 2019

Mrs. ** was incredible with helping me get my internet service. I would recommend any to her to everyone. She has a great personality and very educated in her line of work. I will definitely continue my services with CenturyLink in the future.

CenturyLink response
Hello, Emanuel. I"m so glad that you had a positive experience with CenturyLink! We love hearing about it. If you ever need assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to message us here or using one of the following options:
Facebook - www.facebook.com/CenturyLink/
Twitter - twitter.com/CenturyLinkHelp

Contact Us - www.centurylink.com/home/help/contact.html

Original review: March 17, 2019

I have had this internet for 12 years now. They are very reliable. I stream all of my content through Roku and it has never failed me. I have lost my internet only 5 times in 12 years. I have the middle speed and it fine for my family of 4.

CenturyLink response

We are so happy to hear that your experience with us thus far as been positive! We do still want to let you know there is an outlet here, that should you need help or have any questions for us, you're able to use to get the assistance you need. Thank you for your review and we hope you have a great rest of your week!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

DirecTV should have never merged with CenturyLink. The company has literally wiped me out of money, and blamed it all on DirecTV. No one pays the amount of money they are asking for television. I have paid out over $800 in the last three months. CenturyLink blames DirecTV when it is not them at all because DirecTV says I do not owe them anything. I really need some help with this. I always thought Comcast was the worst company ever. Now I look at CenturyLink as the second company worst ever. They are nothing but thieves.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CenturyLink?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

I had scheduled for new service to be installed in my home today between 1:00 pm and 5:00pm. I took a half day off of work to make sure I was here to ensure the install could be completed smoothly. I received a voicemail at 2:23pm today saying there was an issue and the installation couldn't be completed and to call them for more information. I called thinking stuff happens and something must have happened unexpectedly with the install prior to mine and maybe I was being pushed back a day. NOPE, they called to tell me there was in issue with their system on the day I made the appointment and that the payment couldn't be completed. Why it took them until an hour and a half into my install window to figure this out and let me know nobody was coming I don't know.

As I said earlier I took the time off work for this and this is how they treat a potential customer. When the lady said it's no problem, she can take the payment now and we can schedule another appointment, I told her exactly the situation and she simply said "I am sorry but if we can take your payment we can reschedule" again. At that point I just told her no thanks and I will be sticking with Comcast. At least they had the decency to show up on time to our appointment. I will recommend to everyone I know against using this company...

CenturyLink response

Hello Andrew. I am sorry that we provided you with poor customer service. We would love to see how we can help. Please respond so we can assist you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

I almost never get mad when calling for customer service but recently had the WORST experience with a rude representative. He was repeatedly rude and did not respond after a question was asked. His attitude was disgusting and transferred me to a different department after I asked to speak with a supervisor. Additionally, I have had to call many times when the wifi stopped working entirely. Their internet is slow and I have had so many issues with their services. Every time I had an issue, it took multiple people to fix it.

CenturyLink response

Hello Cathy. We are very sorry to hear about your poor experience with our service. We would be happy to assist you, and address any questions or concerns you may have. Please respond so we can assist you.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

Our service while at our previous home, was subpar at best. There were several outages that were not projected without estimates of when service would be restored. Service was slow. We moved in December 2018 and cancelled our service. CenturyLink technicians did not properly cancel the service when we called. We were continued to be charged until I discovered the autopay was still active in September. They are unwilling to refund for the unused service. Centurylink states that they cannot prove we were not using their service. However, we can prove when we moved, that the home was vacant, when the home was SOLD, and that we had a change of address. They will not believe us.

They owe us over $500 and will only refund us 90 days of service. They also state that they are incapable of seeing our internet usage data. That we can use as much internet without them knowing how much data usage for upload and download...shenanigans. Then how do they sell certain data packages?? This customer service team are not customer oriented. They do not care that they take patrons money without providing a service. I do NOT recommend service with Centurylink.

CenturyLink response

Hello Kentrena. We are very sorry to hear about your poor experience with our service. We would be happy to assist you, and address any questions or concerns you may have. Could you please respond so we may better assist you?

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

We recently cancelled our CenturyLink Internet Service because the service cut out regularly (we lost all Internet Activity) and despite 3 service calls, CenturyLink was not able to improve their service. We cancelled 7 days into the current billing cycle, but they are charging us for the full month. In a chat with customer service we were told repeatedly that CenturyLink does not pro-rate its billing. So, our recommendation to other Consumers - DO NOT become a CENTURYLINK Customer - unless you willing to be frustrated with the service and ripped off financially (paying for service you do not receive).

CenturyLink response

Hello Joel. We are very sorry to hear about your poor experience with our service. We would be happy to review your account if you would like us to.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

Customer Service is terrible. Every time I call get a different answer. Sent me a modem I never wanted, for a month tried to return. Would get different answer every time on how to return. Was told they would send return label in the mail. Didn’t get label until the mail. Called again. They said I could go to UPS as they work with them and they would print return label. Got to UPS and no they don’t work with CenturyLink and return labels. Then they suspend my account for not returning the modem that I did not order or want. Finally after 4 weeks I was able to return the modem. Called customer service with the tracking number and they won’t turn on service until I pay the whole bill. Including the $106 for the modem.

CenturyLink response

Hello Lisa, we apologize that this has been your recent experience with us, and would like to offer our assistance with getting the billing corrected. Please let us know if you'd like our help by reaching out to us here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

CenturyLink expert review by ConsumerAffairs

CenturyLink was founded 1968 and is now the third largest DSL provider in the United States. The company provides Internet, television, home security and home phone services. It also partners with Verizon to offer cell phone service. Customers receive discounts for subscribing to multiple CenturyLink services.

• International plans: CenturyLink offers reduced rates for calling select countries in Central and South America. They also have plans for other international call and plans specifically for calling Canada.

• Extra features: Consumers can choose a plan with a wide variety of features, including call forwarding, caller ID, three-way calling, voicemail and more.

• Refer-a-friend: CenturyLink’s refer-a-friend program rewards consumers when someone signs up for a new service using an existing customer’s referral link. If the new customer remains with the company for two months, both parties receive a gift card worth up to $75, depending on the type of service the new customer selects.

• Online support: The Guidance Center section of CenturyLink’s website has tools to help customers with questions or problems. If customers can’t solve the problem on their own, they can easily make a service call request from the same page on the website.

• Best for: CenturyLink is best for consumers who want to bundle multiple services.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs