CenturyLink

formerly Qwest

Compare Internet Service Providers

Research top Internet Service Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I was going to get CenturyLink. The technician came out to my home. He informed me that we could not get it at our home. That was on May 2. He also told me I would be getting my deposit back within 3 to 5 days. I call CenturyLink on May 9 and they told me again 3 to 5 days. It is May the 19 and still have not got it back. When I called them today I talked to 5 people so I ask for a supervisor. When she got on the phone she was rude and told me they will cut me a check in 14 days and will get it in 25 days. But it only took them less than 5 minutes to take it off my card.

We own a martial arts gym and "inquired" with a sales representative about services in December 2016. The sales representative advised me what he could offer and sent me an email. He stated that we would require a deposit in order for services to be activated. I informed him I would discuss with my husband and call him back if we wanted the services. A few days later, there was a notice on our business door showing that someone had attempted to install services and left a phone number. I thought nothing of it since I did not pay the deposit nor did I call the sales representative back for activation or installation. Fast forward to April 2017, I receive a disconnection notice from Centurylink and a bill showing $452. I was livid!

I contacted their Customer Care department. The lady stated that she could not help me after I told her the whole story and transferred me to Customer Retention. I then retold my story and the gentleman advised me that what happens is the Sales Representatives usually activate services "without" deposits being paid because they "trust" that you will pay it. I advised him that it sounds like bad business and fraud to me. He said all he could do was put in for a disconnection notice (which was pointless because it was already scheduled for disconnection) and send a message to a department stating my dispute. He did not tell me what department that was. I did not hear back from anyone.

It is now May 2017, I receive a call from their collections department who I told my story over to again that I did not sign anything, activate services or installation. The lady advised me that she would put this in for a Dispute and left it at that. I receive an email today stating that they could not assist me with a "Do Not Reply" notated on it. I am ready to seek legal advice as this is a waste of time, fraud, and a scam to get money out of us.

I pay over $100 per month for a DSL speed slower than my dialup of 1999. Same for my neighbors so trying to blame my wiring or computers don't work. I do speed tests to see my 12k speed and when I look at their website and use my home address they say high-speed is not available here right next to the page where they say $29 per month for the fastest or $19 per month for the next one and I can't have either one. BUT they have no problem charging me $100 every month for this world's slowest DSL.

My only other choice is satellite and I already tried that and they charge too much and throttle down your speed so even though CenturyLink CLAIMS all the things you can do HERE I am lucky to get THIS page to load. THEY CLAIM I get over 2MB speed and what do I really get??? Well here you go... Internet speed test 0.28 Megabits per second. Testing upload... 0.07K Mbps download 0.28K Mbps upload. Latency: 227 ms. Server: Seattle, WA. Your Internet speed is very slow. Your Internet download speed is very slow. Web browsing should work, but videos could load slowly.

First they screwed up how much they were charging us - But more than TWICE the amount they had stated. Next, they screwed up the city we lived in on our account (And not just a little) AND did not add both myself and my spouse to the account (Though they were requested to do so) so, when the other tried to fix things, we were told "You're not allowed to do that".

When asking to speak with a manager, was put on hold "I'll be with you in just a moment" for 15 minutes until I was told they wouldn't even let me speak with a manager (Because I wasn't authorized because they'd screwed that aspect of the account creation up!). I never did get to speak to a manager. When my "Authorized" spouse got in to try to fix things? The prior account rep had LOCKED THE ACCOUNT so the new rep couldn't get in to fix anything. AND? They didn't have any kind of internal messaging system so they could communicate between themselves. What a joke!! As the last straw, when typing up a review post, chat, it wouldn't accept it because I'd used to note something that was actually a quote. Ridiculous!

A dish TV satellite was installed at a rental without the permission of the landlord. The installer lied to the tenant and said the landlord would approve it. I am the landlord and I definitely did not and would not approve it. I expect the pole and dish to be uninstalled--taken away.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CenturyLink?

We had Century Link for a year. Before the year was up I called ahead to see if I wanted to continue with Century Link or go with someone else. The salesperson told me to go forward for another year would be $88/month (for internet and Prism). I got my first bill of the billing cycle and it was $120/month. I tried going through the online chat and the person told me it was just what my bill cost.

Then I called, talked to one gentleman who tried to upsell me with more channels until I spoke with a manager. He told me to cancel would cost $200 because I had signed up for a year contract. The manager told me that the first person didnt put two promo codes on. He said he fixed it, my bill will be $88-89/month and I will be reimbursed for the extra I was charged.

Then I got my second month's bill. This bill was $160. I sent an email and was told I had to call. I called, the first person told me the number I was provided was the wrong department and transferred me. The second person told me my promos had expired and the previous people had not renewed them for the Prism TV and that the cheapest he could get my bill down to was around $130 including taxes. He also told me it would cost $200 to cancel internet but that canceling Prism is free since I wasn't on a contract with Prism. I then spoke to his manager the Escalations team that said the price was fixed ($130/month) but she would waive the cancellation fee if I decided to cancel within two weeks.

I am not one to write scathing reviews but CENTURY LINK IS A SCAM. They lie to your face to get you to sign a year contract. I think they just bet on the fact that most people will not call and email/chat/talk to almost 10 people in a two month span about my bill. This is a horrible way to run a business and I want to share my HORRIBLE Century Link with others so they will not make the same mistake I did.

We have had numerous internet interruptions in my Naples, FL home. We were told two month ago to buy a new box from CenturyLink & this problem will be resolved. I am in my NC & my internet service is gone again. I have no access to my internet surveillance cameras until I get back to my Naples home. Really? I have Spectrum in my NC home & have NEVER had any issues with their internet service.

Been fighting to get CenturyLink to honor their deal and fix the crazy bills they send to no avail. Since July 2016 they have been sending bills for hundreds more than what I should owe. So I kept at them but it was hours on the phone and then they still didn't do right. They did have some very pleasant employees who saw that there was something very wrong and tried to send me to managers who could fix it but those managers never did and often got downright nasty. I had the internet and basic phone with no bells or whistles and was getting $273 bills. No I'm not paying that. It was supposed to be $44.

Well after having them open different accounts and changing my number (yes they did) they now charge me 109 a month. Pretty awful of them but expected since I had the silver plan from Qwest they never ever honored which was $26/life. They have me over a barrel and they know it. We have no other carriers where I live. I have too many emailed order number they say have been resolved but never were to give just one number.

Over the past 9 months I have had to contact CenturyLink regarding their excessive bills every month. I have gone from approximately $100 per month to $167 and the worst part is I was stupid enough to believe the retention team member when they promised I would have accurate amount billed. The service I signed up for was to be $94+/- month for TV & internet. First bill was $165 (signed up in mid April and already have two bills over $160). Have been given every excuse under the sun so just want out... Hasn't even been a full month and now they say I will have to pay early termination. Wow. When will someone in our state legal system take a look at their business practices and close them down! Don't ever trust them. They have so many lies that they tell to get you to sign up but then never seem to follow thru... Run from this company.

This was the worse customer service I have ever had to deal with. The Tech department was completely incompetent. Their customer service tried to take advantage of me by charging me extra for a modem. When I know full well that I pay x amount of money so that I wouldn't have to pay extra for a new modem and their equipment. I caught her in her lie due to the fact of eager and quick she wanted to get off of the phone with my girlfriend and I! The dishonesty of this company is impeccable. Never again will I continue with this company of crooks and I implore others to not fall into the same trap! I will be cancelling in the next five days and switching to Comcast. 5 megs for 63 a month is a crime in my book.

I paid over 100 bucks a month even though I was hardly home and internet constantly was slow and rebooted and TV came in and out. My billing changed constantly and I had to call every month. When I finally had enough they surged me 400 to end service. 11 months early according to them after I put up with this over 3 years. Never get service with this company. Terrible!

When we ordered our service we stated repeatedly that we only wanted Internet. The salesperson signed us up, told us it would be $60 a month and, "Oh by the way you can put a phone on the same line if you want to." We stated again we did not want or need a phone. Was told, "That's fine, I know, blah blah blah." The bill came for over $300 most of which were charges for PHONE SERVICES. We had never even put a phone on the line.

After several phone calls where they hung up on us, lied to us, threatened us until I threatened them with the attorney general and media, they told us on several separate occasions that all of the phone related charges would be removed from our account. Six months ago. Now they are charging late fees for the "unpaid" phone charges which still have not been removed (although they are now only charging us current for the internet). I've spent almost an hour on the phone again, today, trying to get these charges removed. Still. Guess I will have to seek legal recourse.

They can't get billing straight and have no one who seems interested in trying. My bill was on auto-pay and they collected the money but also sent me a bill for not paying and threatened to cut off my service. It took two months to get this straight. Then they said my credit card company refused to pay the next month's bill and could give no reason or accountability. The customer representative appears to have a list of answers to questions and reads whatever one may most closely apply to the question asked. I asked for a supervisor, got one, questioned their services and he hung up. When I switched apartments in the same building they put in new equipment and said there would be no charge. Got a bill for nearly $200. For my concern they gave me a $30 credit. Big Deal! I advise everyone to look elsewhere in seeking internet service.

Ordered internet service on April 12 for 3+ weeks lead time install on May 3 and received email confirmation. Called later (twice) to re-confirm was told to "Relax" and they would be able to install with "no problems". Day before, May 2 11:57 am, received email confirmation for install, at 5:45 pm night before got voice mail that said "no port available". Tried to immediately return call but offices were closed for the day. Later found out (after 3+ hrs) on May 3, they do not confirm ability to actually be able to install requested service until night before although they send out confirmation emails before they can actually confirm!!!! Was offered to "try again" or "wait and see". Was told "We have no way of knowing what the techs are doing". Cost me a full day of vacation to sit around, wait for nothing and then hope - HOPE is NOT a strategy!! BAIT AND SWITCH!!

Sadly with CenturyLink there is a problem with corporate and their local facilities. When you try to contact them you may connect to either one. When contacting your local Centurylink the staff is very polite while their corporate is extremely rude and constantly reminding you that you're under contract. They will prefer that you do direct billing and may also try to enroll you into a CenturyLink credit card. They will figure ways to charge you extra hundreds of dollars and when you contact the local CenturyLink they will be very polite and remedy the situation. The following month the corporate CenturyLink will not follow through with the changes that their local CenturyLink has done and charge you extra. After about 5 or 6 months of doing this you will start to see your balance skyrocket and when you decide to quit after being with them for 5 years corporate CenturyLink will threaten you with violation of contract.

At the end of 2016 we decided to switch to Xfinity. We called CenturyLink and DirecTV at the end of December to disconnect. May 1, 2017 we received a bill taking us to collection. When I called I was told I was NOT a customer OR I would have paid the bill. Customer service has given us at least 5 different responses AND we got a refund for $60 from DirecTV. Now we are stuck with a $416 dollar bill with no recourse. I spoke to 'Alex' who implied I was a deadbeat. How insulting. It's bills like this that ruin people's credit. He put me on a blank 'hold'. When I spoke to a supervisor he was just as rude and spoke over me. He, in fact hung up on me. I was then told by a 3rd person that the problem was all DirecTV's fault. The 4th spoke to me and DirecTV (thank you Luis) who could make no sense out of CenturyLink's customer service rep's comments either.

Bottom line, CenturyLink does not know what customer service is and they need to do something about. I am now stuck with a bill (by the way they would not take 1/2 today and 1/2 next month) that I am forced to pay because I am a 'deadbeat'. Now, I am a literate person who pays all of my bills on time. This is unacceptable. I would urge all current account holders to 'disconnect' and find another TV carrier. Slam the doors in their faces when they say they can get Internet/TV services and bill for it. They are liars, and I freely tell this to anyone. Unfortunately you have no choice too but to pay for a bill that you have no idea is correct. I am disappointed for all of us and disgusted by CenturyLink. Shame on them. They don't deserve our business.

They sold me by blatantly lying to me about there not being any contract and that my bill would not exceed $45 INCLUDING TAXES AND FEES and yet it was at least $70 no matter how many times I called to ask them to lower it and make it what we agreed upon in the first place. I was originally with Comcast, paying $60 a month for service that at the time I felt was too expensive for me. So I called CenturyLink and the salesman told me "Guess what? Not only will we charge you less, but there's no contract and fast speeds." Well, none of those statements were true.

When canceling CenturyLink, I had to be transferred to at least 3 different people via their internet chat option before they gave me a phone number that I was told I had to call if I wanted to not have to pay the $200. Well, that phone call was a waste of time. I was told "I don't know who you spoke with in the beginning, but your COMMITMENT is in your first bill and we sent you a confirmation notice." I definitely never saw a contract confirmation notice and no one reads the fine print in their bills, they only look at the charges and why those charges exist. The salesperson also said "Your bill, including taxes and fees will come in just under $45." Again, a blatant lie. It was $70 from there on out.

Now I'm pregnant, my fiance works from home and he needs the fastest/least expensive internet option so we switched to NextLight as soon as it became available. When I called to cancel CenturyLink, I was shocked to hear that I will be forced to pay a $200 "Contract cancellation fee. " WHAT CONTRACT??? I'm fuming. And I have been looking at other complaints online and I see a recurring theme that people will send back their modems the same day and still get a $100 charge for not sending them back. If that happens to me, I am really going to be financially and mentally in bad shape, not awesome considering I'm with child at the moment.

It's disgusting that companies can get away with blatant lies in order to gain customers and then charge them ridiculous amounts of money and the customer can't do anything about it. They obviously have no customer service skills and don't care what horrible things they do to their customers. As long as they keep getting paid and no one is able to do anything about it, this will continue to happen.

I've been a CenturyLink customer for several years. On December 27, 2016, after a move to my new home, I was to receive a TV/40mbps Internet bundle. The technicians NEVER came for their scheduled installation. I called... they didn't come again for the next service date (a week later!). I called again... they came out, but couldn't get anything to work - not even the internet. I called 3 times again only to find out the service I had been offered was not available because there isn't enough bandwidth allocated for my area! I was told I could only receive 20mbps and no TV.

I called 12 times over 4 months to get the bill for the TV removed from my account and each time I was promised it was handled and it never was! I paid the Internet portion in full and was promised that the bill would be adjusted to remove the TV service. My internet was disconnect due to the nonpayment for the TV (that I do NOT have!) on a Saturday which forced me to pay the TV bill in full ($600) in order to have internet that I need to use to work from home! I finally resolved the billing issue after being transferred to 7 different people on the last call when one gentleman in the loyalty department FINALLY listened and fixed the issue with the help of a higher level manager at corporate! He was FANTASTIC! I just received my new bill - I'm still being charged for a disconnect fee for the Internet!

I called today to finally cancel my services and was told I could be bumped up to the 20mps at $15/month.. WAIT I THOUGHT I ALREADY HAD THAT even though I was suppose to have 40mbps?! Oh nope, I have the lowest level AND I'm being charged $40 for it. On top of that I'm now being charged a $200 cancellation fee for my "contract" that CENTURYLINK NEVER FULFILLED ON. You never gave me the services I signed for and you're still going to charge me to "break" our "agreement." Worst experience EVER.

This company hides fees and codes their bills in unethical ways to charge you more. The 2nd month I received my annual bill that in which I could understand, without all the hook up and transfer fees that were on the first bill. Turns out my monthly service is $28 higher than quote/expected. So I call to contest and they will not work with me or honor my original quote. On top of this I only have a 30 day period to determine if I will stay with the service. The reason I'm wanting to cancel the service is because it was not the price I was expecting and now on the second bill (without the transfer fees and activations) I can understand I'm getting charged more than I was quote and I cannot cancel because it's past 30 days. Therefore I had to pay a $200 deactivation fee for service I had 2 months. I now have cable service and phone that is 4x faster for the same cost. CenturyLink hides costs from you and codes their bills in unethical ways.

I signed up for a 2 year agreement for internet service from CenturyLink. I was quoted a price of $29.99/month for the service. I take notes of my phone calls so I am sure that was the quoted price. Unfortunately, I have been charged $39.99/month. The representative from the billing department said that I was wrong and there is nothing he could do. I asked if I could get a discount to purchase the modem because of their error. The answer was no. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told that I could not, they don't take calls. I asked if I could submit my concern any other way to have a supervisor contact me. Again the answer was, no. So in the CenturyLink billing department if you have concerns there is no one else to address the concerns other than the person answering the phone. I have been a long time customer with CenturyLink, but as soon as my contract is fulfilled that will be changing.

I cannot describe how absolutely ** this service has been since I have gotten it. I get told REPEATEDLY that they are seeing 40 Mbps to my modem (all I have is internet). Well, when I wireless speed test (using several different tests) I see a whopping 18 mbps which is FAR less than I pay for. So today I used a Ethernet wired to my TV for a test. Guess what? 18 mbps! And when I call, I get hung up on, treated poorly, by people that can't even spell worth a damn (literally have a screenshot showing that "You will receive in three business days for the devolution"... Exactly what in the ** does that even mean??! I've been charged for equipment I have returned and that is a hours long fight in itself.

These people are stupid, they don't listen, they don't follow thru and I am unfortunately kinda stuck with their crappy ass service as my building doesn't offer any other service (god what I wouldn't give to have Cox in here instead. There is no amount of money that isn't worth getting rid of CenturyLink). I'm tired of being told I am receiving a full speed signal and I can prove beyond any showdowns of a doubt that I am. Whatever they are sending out vs what the end user (ME) is getting are 2 far different stories.

Naturally when I sign in with their given IP address it will of course show perfect. Well, I have run latency and ping tests over and over and over... and it AT BEST shows 18mbps... not the 40Mbps I PAY FOR!!! I'm very angry, I'm sitting here watching a locked screen on my TV right now do even it WIRED IN ETHERNET shows 18mbps. Nothing but liars these people. They should be shut down for unscrupulous business practices, this is against the law. Period, flat out. Even when I had the 20mbps package... I got 11!!! They will never give you full of what you pay for. They are ripping people off... and getting away with it.

The phone wire was sticking out of the ground when my lawn service cut it with their lawn mower. It took CenturyLink SIX DAYS to come out and repair it. The repair took 20-30 minutes. I was without phone and internet service for the 6 days. I was told I would get a credit on my account but I did not get it.

I have been a CenturyLink internet customer since 2009. My internet speed has been very slow, when I started online classes it became very difficulty (in 2016) because of why I called Customer Service and Technical Support team several times in November and December of 2016 and I was told to wait until the fiber optic service starts in the beginning of 2017.

So I called back in March of 2017 and Residential Service person offered a high speed service. Said I could switch from business to residential without having to pay a penalty for breaking the contract with CenturyLink since I am not leaving the company. They asked me to call Business Dept after they activate my lines. So I did and the Business Service customer service person was so rude and insisted that I have to pay 300 dollars penalty and said they have nothing to do with Residential Service Dept. He was not even patient enough to listen to what I have to say. He said my only option was to either switch to 94.99 dollar high speed internet service or pay penalty. I tried to speak to a supervisor and she said that she does not want to hear my story and I have to pay the penalty. It's like they're teamed up against you.

When the customer is not leaving the company why do we have to pay penalty? Maybe some of them need to be trained to speak to the customers. We the customers are the strength of your company. I spend about 45 mins getting transferred and staying on hold for no good reason. If I was happy with the service I would've stayed. All I want is an internet service that works. Isn't that why we pay monthly for the service. I could not use it because it was too slow. I don't want to name the people but if you check my account information you will know. I was not rude to anyone but all I got was sarcastic and rude replies. When I called Residential Dept they were so professional. My understanding is CenturyLink is one company with different departments. If you guys are competing with other departments for whatever reason please don't take it out on poor customers like us! My account no. **.

After my husband died and I transferred TV service to my name I started getting outrageous bills ranging in the over $250 range for the same service as I had for over 3 years. I spent at least 1 1/2 hours on the phone getting explanations and then adjustments which I thought would settle the matter. The next month nothing changed and there was no record of my previous conversation and they again proceeded to do adjustments and the next month the same thing occurred. I finally decided to discontinue service but was assisted by another representative that assured me that everything will be straightened out so I gave them another chance. I planned to spend the summer in Minnesota and requested service be put on hold until my return and that I would continue service again. I was assured that service will be turned off and no further charges will accrue until I start service again.

I left on my vacation and checking my site discovered charges and called and found that service had not been suspended so I again spend several hours to get that stopped. Received email that everything was taken care of until I noticed another bill for the month I was away. That really upset me because once again they failed to shut my service as requested. I finally had enough and told them I no longer want their service and to permanently stop my service. The rep said she will backdate the shut-off service to the original l request date and that I will owe nothing further but will need to return the equipment within the month so that there are no charges. After all that I again received a bill for $176 for the month I was away and requested that I return the equipment so I don't get charged for them.

Now I'm in a quandary since my equipment is in Arizona and I'm in Minnesota. How do they expect me to return the equipment. I am still trying to deal with this issue and the $176 they charged for something that was their mistake. Please do not go with CenturyLink unless you want to go through nightmares with their billing practices. This is the worst company I ever encountered.

I have been with CenturyLink from the time they bought up Infinet. At first they seemed to get things done very prompt and were good about repairs and correcting the issues on a timely manner. I live in Ohio in a small town south of Greenville, Ohio. This past year has been the worst internet service I have ever saw. I was paying for 10meg service and found I was only receiving 3.5 meg and called internet repair. They convinced me to upgrade my package to 40 meg, so I did. Since that day I have had nothing but problems excuse after excuse why I am not getting 40 meg. I'm lucky to get an average of 20 meg. I called internet support. They told me a repairman had to come to my home. I thought problem will be resolved. He never showed up... I called raising Cain about their poor customer relations. Keep in mind I am missing work waiting for them to show up losing my days pay. I think the guy did come the second day.

To make this story short this same scenario has happened over and over. I called on Monday 4/24/2017. They told me there was an opening for Friday 4/5/17. So I took the day off. I called internet repair who placed me on hold and talked with scheduling. A guy was scheduled to be at my home that day. AGAIN no calls saying he could not make it or when he would be here. Towards the end of the day I recalled and they told me he would call and works until 7PM. The business office closes at 5. Hmmm. Imagine that the guy never calls and you can't call customer service because they left for the day. I just hope that my information might steer someone to not take service from them as they don't really seem to care at all about customer relations. Thanks for your time.

I lost several days of work, because the installation tech never showed and never called. I have a privacy gate and explained that I had to be present to let the tech on the property, but they were still a no-show for several days. Customer service is nonexistent; they will either not answer your questions, get loud, or hang-up on you. The managers are also incompetent. I canceled and returned the box before it was installed, but continue to receive bills every month. I had to spend additional time calling every month and speaking with managers, who reassured me that it will be corrected and I will never be billed. I still continue to receive monthly bills for nonexistent charges they made up.

I just called and spoke with Stephanie who hung-up on me after I explained the situation. I called again and spoke with Paul (**), who was unable to answer my questions and he just remained silent on the phone. I asked several times to speak with a manager and he finally said he would get one. I was put on hold for some time and when he returned he just started talking and never got a manager. They are also refusing to close my account. This company needs to be investigated!

Saw an ad for $29.95 internet if you sign up online. Due to tech issues on their site (they said), I had to call in. To condense the story, after an hour on the phone, that $29.95 turned into $70.00. This company should be ashamed running an ad such as this to get customers. If they want to get more customers, they should try honoring their ads!!! And I gave them 1 star simply because I was not allowed to give less.

If you choose CenturyLink over other providers based on what they tell you about your rate, it fluctuates greatly no matter what the Customer Service rep tells you. My advise is to write down each time you call about your bill, the name of the CS person, time and date of the call and the rate you were promised. You can ask for what you were told in writing but you will never receive any written confirmation. Now, each time you call, bring to their attention the name of the person you spoke with, the rate promised, for what period of time that rate will continue. You will find that this will become almost a full time job. So if you go with CenturyLink it is easier to manage if you are retired and have an abundance of time you can devote to time spent on the phone. The lip drive from Customer Service is great but that's where it ends. Good Luck.

I don't even know how to begin this review! We are with CenturyLink for our Internet because we have no other options. Every year when it's Fall or Spring and the ground thaws, our internet cuts off and/or our speed goes way down and becomes almost unusable. After years and years having technicians come over and fixing things just temporarily, they finally told us they would dig up the cable and replace it because there might be a break somewhere. It has been 3 weeks and multiple calls to the Area Plant Supervisor (who told me twice he would send a tech over to our house to make a temporary connection until the real crew comes over to dig) so that we can get good service. The techs never showed up, twice! Now the supervisor does not even return my calls or emails when I try to reach him for answers and or reschedule something.

I also received a letter saying that they will be upgrading the technology in our area and that we would get a new modem for free. I called and asked if this new modem would be compatible with higher speeds than 12 mbps and all 5 customer service rep I spoke to said yes it would. And I clearly specified I wanted at least 20 mbps and everything was fine. Now today, I receive this new modem all excited and I call them back to up our speed. I spent an hour with a lady on the phone, she first tells me it was going to be free and 10 minutes later she said there was an error in her system and turns out, we will be charged $160 if we buy the new modem plus installation fees. I tried to explain to her that everyone else before her told me that our new free modem was going to be compatible with the speed and now it isn't!

I was so frustrated I asked to talk to a supervisor. I had to explain the whole story to him AGAIN because of course she would not tell him beforehand so I didn't have to. He finally explained to me what the changes in my neighborhood would be and that this modem is indeed not compatible with higher speed but compatible with the same speed/new technology. I tried to tell him that 5 customer service reps told me it was and that we didn't have to pay. It ended up that if we want more speed. We have to pay for ANOTHER modem (we already have about 5 of them already...) and that we would have to pay for the installation.

And on top of all that, I called a few times to get a better price and the price they end up telling me on the phone, with all the bundles and fidelity discounts applied, is never the same when we get the bill. We have been with them for over 10 years and that is how they repay us. Overall, horrible customer service and would 100% ditch them if we could! Everyone we speak to is very nice on the phone but nothing ever gets solved. Do not sign a contract with them if you can help it!

I've been with CenturyLink for many years, but when I tried to change services, I was on the phone for hours being moved around between billing & customer service & technical support. I was trying to port my phone number back to them and I was directly lied to when billing said it was done - I even asked them to confirm this, and they said yes. I found out the next day that it wasn't done. Later, in customer service, I was having questions. Being polite, I got transferred to a supervisor and through the discussion she hung up on me. And no, it wasn't a dropped call. It's too bad they are a monopoly as the only player for copper land lines and don't care about their customers.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

CenturyLink was founded 1968 and is now the third largest DSL provider in the United States. The company provides Internet, television, home security and home phone services. It also partners with Verizon to offer cell phone service. Customers receive discounts for subscribing to multiple CenturyLink services.

• International plans: CenturyLink offers reduced rates for calling select countries in Central and South America. They also have plans for other international call and plans specifically for calling Canada.
  • Extra features: Consumers can choose a plan with a wide variety of features, including call forwarding, caller ID, three-way calling, voicemail and more.
  • Refer-a-friend: CenturyLink’s refer-a-friend program rewards consumers when someone signs up for a new service using an existing customer’s referral link. If the new customer remains with the company for two months, both parties receive a gift card worth up to $75, depending on the type of service the new customer selects.
  • Online support: The Guidance Center section of CenturyLink’s website has tools to help customers with questions or problems. If customers can’t solve the problem on their own, they can easily make a service call request from the same page on the website.
  • Best for CenturyLink is best for consumers who want to bundle multiple services.

Compare Home Phone Service