formerly Qwest

Shop on FYI
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.17/5

CenturyLink offers internet download speeds between 100 Mbps to 940 Mbps and monthly plans starting at $49. It provides bundling services for residential and small business customers and serves 36 states. Not all states in CenturyLink’s converge area will have fiber optic options. CenturyLink breaks its internet services down into two main categories: the DSL plan and the Fiber Gigabit plan.

BOTTOM LINE

CenturyLink offers internet, home phone and TV programming services. Most internet options are best for basic internet speeds on a few devices, but the Fiber Gigabit plan is good for heavy internet users.

PROS

• Great for gamers
  • Up to 940 Mbps
  • No contracts

CONS

• Gigabit not available in all areas
  • Not available in all states

Top CenturyLink Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about CenturyLink?

We've had CenturyLink internet service in one of our Park City, UT condos for about 3 years now and we've been very happy with it. I'd highly recommend their internet service if you're looking for high speed internet.

Dan from CenturyLink came out to our home today and he installed our new internet and cleaned up outside previous cables from other companies at no charge. He was thorough, professional, patient and very receptive to questions. Highly recommend him for your installation. 5 stars!

CenturyLink Shop on FYI

See local offers on Find Your Internet

Shop Now

CenturyLink Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CenturyLink?

Original review: March 17, 2020

My DSL light on my modem went out on 3/16/20. I called Century Link Computer Support Service Department for help on 3/17/20. Ms. ** took my call. She troubleshoot my computer from her end as well as from my end. The process took an hour to resolve. Throughout the entire process, Ms. ** remained calm, respectful and professional. Ms. ** is extremely talented, gentle and humble human being. My computer is working great now! Thank you so much for your excellent help. I enjoyed your service. I hope that I will always run into you whenever I call. I also hope that you get promoted to a supervisory position. Because you are so good at what you do. Keep up the good work!

CenturyLink response

Hello Florence. I am happy to hear about your positive experience with our company. We wanted to let you know that if you had any questions or concerns for us in the future, you can reach out to us here, or at any of the following contact options:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/CenturyLink/
Twitter - twitter.com/CenturyLinkHelp

Contact Us - www.centurylink.com/home/help/contact.html

Thank you for your time and have a great rest of your week.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

No phone service at restaurant during busiest holiday season. Reported on Mon. And no repair available until Fri. Took 24 hrs. To get call forwarding completed to my cell phone correctly! Tony **, repair person, and another tech finally arrived, they worked a couple of hours to untangle the rats nest in the dry rotted phone box outside our building. Built rest. In 1997 and problems throughout 22 years. Fixed w/bandaids but Tony took time and fingers crossed fixed problem long term this time. It was almost worth the 5 day wait if it holds!

CenturyLink response

Hello Elizabeth. I am sorry about how long it took to get your service repaired but I am glad to hear that Tony and crew got it fixed for you. If you do need assistance please feel free to reach out to us here or any of the below contact options.

Facebook - www.facebook.com/CenturyLink/
    Twitter - twitter.com/CenturyLinkHelp

Contact Us - www.centurylink.com/home/help/contact.html

Original review: Nov. 29, 2019

I had someone come a few weeks ago to repair my wi-fi because I could not get any of my devices to work after the electricity went off. It was repaired and the internet and Alexa dot worked fine. I found out later that I could not connect my printer, doorbell, or nook to the wi-fi. I called and talked with Ralph today and he had it fixed in a few minutes. He was so helpful and nice. I was very pleased. I just don't know where I can fill out an evaluation on his work, so I decided I would write a review.

CenturyLink response

Hello J. thank you for taking the time to post feedback on your experience with Ralph - we'd be happy to pass along your commendation, just reach out to us here for further help.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2020

The day of my appointment for installation, I called 5 times to ask when the technician was coming (it was already 4pm and they said the installation could happen between 8-5). Up until 4:30pm the rep stated I was still on the for the installation as scheduled. Twenty minutes later, at 4:50pm, I received a phone call with an automated message saying the appointment had been rescheduled for the next day. Century Link forgets they are NOT the only ones who work an 8 to 5 Monday to Friday and think we can just miss work for them to come whenever they can. It is inconsiderate and rude not to think of the life arrangements some us customers have to do when we have to do in order to have service.

Also every time I called every single representative gave me a different information. One even said they close at 8pm (CT) when in reality they close at 5pm and when I called there was nothing I could do but to wait until the next day. I have been their customer for only 2 days and already have had a terrible and disappointing experience.

CenturyLink response

Hello Mirelis we apologize for the missed and re-scheduled appointment, we could understand how that'd be frustrating, and would be happy to look into this for you. If you have any questions or concerns additionally, please reach out to us here and we'll be happy to help.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Oct. 21, 2020

Like everyone else I needed to use Zoom. I figured 'no problem' I had upgraded my internet speed a while back to 8 mbps which is the highest speed I can get at my home. I ran a speed test and found that I was getting 5.8 download and .7 upload. Whaaat? Monday I called CenturyLink. After almost 4 hours and being passed to five different people I finally found someone who basically said "that's as good as it gets".

When I purchased the 8 mbps package no one told me that my upload speed would not even be 1 mbps. They sold it to me as though the upload/download speed would be 8 mbps. I consider this to be deceptive and unethical sales and marketing practices. Centurylink presupposes their customers will have enough technical knowledge of the internet to know that you don't get the advertised speed and that upload speeds are always lower than download - still NOT EVEN 1 mpbs!!! If you aren't an internet guru - tough beans you just bought a pig in a poke.

To add insult to injury, during my marathon phone session one representative hung up on me. When I called back to complain to a supervisor I was told that they were unable to contact a supervisor "because that system was down". Then they said they would connect me to the "customer retention" line but that line rang once and then went dead. In this day and age when we are all resigned to bad service and corporate shenanigans this company stands head and shoulders above the rest in a callous disregard to treat their customers with respect and integrity.

CenturyLink response
    Hello Susan we understand the frustration of not getting the service you pay for - if you're not being billed properly for the rate you were

upgraded to, please let us know by reaching out to us here. We can also take a look at your line if you need assistance with that as well.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2020

We moved halfway across the country because CenturyLink promised us there was service in our new location. When we arrived, the technician informed us that the cable was frayed and he couldn't get us connected. He told us to put in a ticket with CenturyLink and a repair team would come out to service us promptly, and that time was of the essence because frost and snow would make digging the cable trench impossible by November.

We've now been trying for weeks over the phone to even get an appointment. Four times now representatives have promised a technician would call us later that day to schedule; not once have we ever been called back. Multiple times customer service representatives have told us they'd transfer us to the department, or a supervisor, to set up an appointment; each time we've been hung up on or dropped. If we don't get a representative out shortly, it will be too late, and we will have to wait until spring 202! (!!!) to have any Internet connection. Despite telling their representatives this over and over, we have even been able to schedule an appointment, let alone get a connection installed.

No one at the company seems to care that our livelihoods literally depend on having Internet connection during the pandemic. Nor do they seem to care that we have already paid them $300 (!!!) for an installation and starter kit, despite still being unable to connect to Internet almost a month later. The company behaves like a scam artist. Many of their Internet contact links or chat functionality is straight-up broken. They clearly have no interest in providing good service for the public. I'm tempted to begin reporting their behavior to the Better Business Bureau unless things change fast.

CenturyLink response

Hello we're sorry to see that this has been your initial experience with us, and that you have not yet been able to get assisted with your internet connection. We'd be happy to look into this for you, just let us know if you'd like our help by responding to us here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2020

I have been "on hold" after calling Centurylink for assistance for over 30 minutes. I thought I would take the wait time to write this review. The internet service itself is average, nothing special. The cost is average as well. Where they do exceptionally poor is in customer service. I have called their "service center" a number of times. Always the same horrible experience. Waiting 45+ minutes to get assistance is completely unacceptable. I would NOT recommend this company. I will be disconnecting service and switching to another company.

CenturyLink response

Hello Steven we're sorry to see that your recent experience with us has been negative, and that you're wanting to change providers. We would be happy to address your concerns, and answer any questions you may have, just let us know if you'd like our assistance by responding to us here.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2020

I have been a CenturyLink customer for awhile now! Paid my bill on time! Put up with her billing ahead of schedule all the time! They've stopped my internet service a few times by "computer error"! Now last night they turn my internet off at 9pm! I call today and someone that wasn't me was allowed to cancel my services and move it! So now they want me to pay another deposit and start all over again over something that I DIDN'T DO AND WASN'T MY FAULT! ALL this during covid-19, where having internet is controlling my kids school, my work and our life stuck at home! I'm switching my services to Suddenlink! I'm already one step ahead that a stranger canceled my account with them! This is not how you run a business nor have you correct a mistake on your part!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2020

I’ve called 4 times and I’ve waited 1 hour to 2 hours and when they pick up end the call they don’t even let me talk. I been using the chat online and it helped me resolve some issue and they said I need to talk to a representative and I called today and I’m still waiting for about 1 hour and 30 minutes. They need better representative to answer like for the chat online people.

CenturyLink response

Hello Fernando if you have any questions or concerns regarding your account or service, let us know by reaching out to us here and we'll be happy to help.

CenturyLink Company Information