1.15/5

formerly Qwest

4503 CenturyLink Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 19, 2019

I was a qwest into CenturyLink customer for 19 years, and the phone while was absolute garbage the entire time. Many visits from technicians that never dealt with the many different issues in the awful service. I kept it as long as I did strictly for the 911 to address option. I finally decided they would probably fail at that as well and went to cancel the phone service. It took TWO attempts for the morons working there to even achieve this! In my sixty years I have never dealt with a company this useless of ANY type. When I lived in a different state than I do now I used a phone company that has maybe 200 customers total. The office was only open a few days a week, and it was infinitely better than qwest/CenturyLink. I would GLADLY go back to Make Bell and a monopoly that at least worked, and brilliantly compared to the trash available now. Insultingly bad service.

Original review: March 19, 2019

By far CenturyLink is the worst company of telecommunication in US and probably around the world. Nightmare began from porting out our old business phone number that took more than 20 calls to tech support to get it done right and one tech added a new jack to fix porting out issues which was not the problem solver. However the internet constantly started to cut out to the point sometimes cannot open up a simple plain browser just to read email till other internet functioning that a small business life depending on its internet business activities that have had 5 technicians on the site after another 30 times calls to technicians to fix the internet cutting out and every things has been changed.

Even the business computer that works fine elsewhere with no issues and have wasted so much time and business as result for a re-opening of new location and CenturyLink has left me with no solution except being told it's "the technology" response and "we don't see the problem on our end" and calling worse customer. And automated voice answering is another joke to run you around to connect you to live help and on top of all of these issues to make the matter worse are customer service sometimes rude and even supervisor just tell you to call the incompetent tech support again. Like the one tech support who so incompetent that she could not even tell what is your internet status screen toolbar indicator is about yellow or red and bottom line is one star even too much for CenturyLink review.

CenturyLink response

Hello, Ali. I can understand why you would be upset considering everything that happened. It should not have taken that long to try to get your business line ported out. I would be more than happy to assist you with the service issues you are experiencing. Send us a message on here and I will help you out.

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I would not know where to begin, regarding CenturyLink. I am a Cancer Survivor, Purple Heart Mom, sitting in a wheelchair, at home, as I fell off my ladder 3 months ago, and shattered my leg. Still unable to weight bear. Today, amidst my troubles, I get what was my 3rd envelope from CenturyLink, and I signed on with them last year for a few months. Today's envelope contained a statement that said I "Owed them 108.+ for Equipment not returned". I then realized I was never told how, or where to send the modem, as they UPS'd it to me and I did not save the box, then I landed in the hospital and rehab for 3 months. (Verifiable)

I got home from that ordeal, to a DISCONNECTED PHONE AND INTERNET, yet had not ever received a bill! I called them, paid with a Credit card, nearly 300 to get service restored as I am and was in the wheelchair, and might need help with 911. I canceled service shortly after, as I will not do service with anyone corrupt, not as corrupt as they were to me. They offered a CREDIT CHECK, or DEPOSIT, PROMISING it was a "soft ding" on the credit score. If one passed, no deposit required. I have excellent credit, so gave them access. Then they said they STILL NEEDED A DEPOSIT but had no access to my score! Turned out it was a "hard ding". It took 9 days, over 300 YES 300 conversations, (it's documented on their records) to get a phone and internet.

It took NINE WORK ORDERS, of which I only approved one. I found their worker "DOUBLE BONDING" cable on my property without my permission or a requirement to do so. The list goes on and on, but I think you get my point. They misspelled my name on the bill, and the software code to remotely start my service, so I had to wait another weekend until that error was found. Software code was not using the correct name to remotely hookup! Their bills were not mailed to my correct address.

They served no warning to disconnect service. I am shipping their modem back today, from my wheelchair, (UPS pickup) with the PROMISE from their phone rep named Darwin, (on the records) that because of my broken leg and hospital stay, I will get my 108.+ back! Otherwise they said I waited too long (over 30 days, and they would get their MODEM AND MY 108.00!!! Time will tell. I will contact my Attorney General, and everyone I know on Social Media as a start if they try to STEAL MY 108. This time when they got their equipment back!!! I had Darwin connect to a Supervisor today, to ASSURE that this thievery stop with me! Don't use them, not ever. They even lost the ability to port my same number, due to their mix ups, so I lost a familiar number! It just does not stop with them!

CenturyLink response

Hello, Joan. I'm so sorry that you've had to go through that. That is an unacceptable customer service experience and it shouldn't have taken so long to get your services working. I would be happy to personally issue the credit for the modem fee if you send us a message on here.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I place my order on March 4th. I was told that I would receive service in 2 to 3 business days. After being on hold for a while for service to be set up for me I learned that my service could not be connected until March 18th. On March 18th I was told that a service technician would be out in between 1 and 5. I returned home by 5 and no service. However upon me returning home I did notice a Wi-Fi box. Once I called I learned that no service could be connected to my area until the 29th of March. I spoke with seven different people.

Finally at 8:53 I was told that March 29th will be the next day I could be worked in. I informed the person from customer service that I was highly disappointed due to the inconvenience CenturyLink. However no matter how the support I was when it come to my service not being provided the person on the other end was steadily trying to encourage me to purchase some channels. I only called to be able to receive the service that was supposed to been provided for me however it never came through. I highly advise anyone not to go to CenturyLink unless you have the time and the energy to waste on a service that will not be provided within a timely manner!

CenturyLink response

Hello, Jacqueline. I'm so very sorry for the delay in getting your services active. We should have gotten it set up on 03/18 when it was originally scheduled. I would like to take a look at the order and see what I can do to expedite it for you. Send us a message on here and I would be happy to help.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 18, 2019

Moved service to another company because of Century Link's costs. When my number was ported away from Century Link, they created an additional account number for our company with no notification to us and continued billing. If we had been aware that they had created a new account, we could have closed it. By looking online at our original account, it shows a balance of $0 and does not list any other account. I'm told that it is a manual process. If they create another account for you (without your knowing), you have to manually add that account (again, you don't know it exists) to your online profile. In talking to customer service, they said they would do nothing about the billing and don't think there is any issue with their ridiculous system or creating ghost accounts that you cannot manage. DO NOT USE CENTURY LINK!!

CenturyLink response

Hello, Corey. I'm sorry to hear that you went with another company and this billing issue occured. We definitely should have been more clear about the process. I would be happy to go over your billing and help you get it taken care of. All you need to do is send us a message here.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CenturyLink?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 16, 2019

Internet connection is very bad and outages are very frequently. CenturyLink has a bad reputation on Customer Services and continuing with the same problem. CenturyLink is always giving "apologies" and they do not solve the problem as fast as they say they are doing it. I do not recommend CenturyLink.

CenturyLink response

Hello, Tony. I'm sorry that you haven't been receiving the best internet service from us but I would be more than happy to help you improve your internet. Just send us a message on here and I can help you out.

Original review: March 15, 2019

This company is 100% is the worst company and customer service I have ever dealt with in my life. I own a customer service consulting business. I have not only worked with some of the biggest Fortune 500 companies to make sure they have good customer service but I have also been around and seen some of the worst out there but Century Link is now officially the worst I have ever seen. I called to set up a new internet service on Wednesday and at the time I set it up the guy told me he was going to just give me the first available to activate it and get my new modem sent which was Tuesday March 19th. He then told me not to worry because he was giving me an 800 number and I could call them when we hung up and they would change the date and I could have it set up in a couple days.

After I hung up of course I called the 800 number and the lady who answered and helped me changed the date and set it up for Friday the 15th instead of the 19th. Now it is today Friday the 15th I waited a good part of day for UPS they never showed up with my modem so I called and asked for tracking number and they told me that I was not set up until Tuesday the 19th, I was pissed now and told them that no I did like I was told and called the 800 number and had it changed to today the 15th. They told me the lady who helped me did not do her job and there was nothing they could do. Then because I was really pissed now the guy told me he could get it changed again to Monday the 18th so I agreed he set it up and told me he was going to get me tracking number. He confirmed my email then I hung up.

Three hours later I still never received a tracking number so I called back to get it and told them it should be for delivery and set up for Monday the 18th. The new guy who answered told me no that I am not scheduled until Tuesday the 19th, now I am beyond mad and he transferred me to a manager and this guy has now even made it worse by trying to make up the most ridiculous lie to try to explain to me why no one over there does their job.

He tells me that there is 1000 operators taking orders and there is usually more than one person making an order at a time so if the person helping me put in the order and pushed send a second after someone else I would not get the order sent or scheduled and after they hit send they do not know if their request was accepted, which he thought I would believe that. Even if I did not have company that consulted customer service call centers and how things work and order set up and scheduling software works I would never believed that story. There is not a software in the world that lets you put in an order without letting you know right then and there if it is accepted and confirmed for that request.

He told me there is nothing he can do and that I am screwed until Tuesday the 19th so I told him to give me a tracking number and he gave me some number and then he acted like he got on UPS website and tracked it and said yes it is scheduled for the 19th. After I hung up with this guy I got on my computer and put in the tracking number and it was not even a real tracking number. This company and service is absolutely the worst. I am going to keep my order scheduled and set up this service just to see if what else they are lying about, I am very curious now if what they told me was true about the service. I want to know so if they are lying about that as well I will be filling out and reporting to as many place I can and I am going to be doing in regards to this customer service. I honestly do not know how they are in business, I am not keeping my service after I check it out.

I have never in my life ever wrote a review on any company or service but this being so bad I had to write this one and I am going to write one and copy it to post as many places as I can so that if anyone is out there trying to decide if they want to go with this service. Hopefully they read this. Save themselves with the problems they will have using this company. Quincy.

CenturyLink response

Hello Quincy, we certainly have read it, and apologize that the experience you've had thus far has created a negative perspective of our company so far. We'd be glad to watch your account for you to make sure service is set up as scheduled, and answer any questions you may have. Just let us know if you'd like our help by responding here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: March 15, 2019

My elder Mom has had so-called "service" from CenturyLink for a very long time. The customer service just gets worse! One full week ago, there was a major outage in Lake Placid, Florida. Even the police department lost landlines. That was 7-days ago! My elder Mom has a landline so that her cardiac device can be monitored remotely. She is still without a working line after a full week of calls, emails, online chats, and even Facebook messaging. A full week of insincere assurances, countless apologies, broken promises, and overall lack of concern and horrible customer service! This line is even designated by CenturyLink as a "critical line!"

It stunning and not surprising to discover thousands of complaints on this ConsumerAffairs site and nothing more than a ONE star rating out of a possible FIVE Stars! I would give CenturyLink and their indifferent executives ZERO stars if that was an option. I even took screenshots of my pointless chat messaging repair person to prove their total lack of responsiveness! Stay far away from the lousy excuse for a company!

CenturyLink response

Hello Stephen, thank you for the feedback, and we apologize that your mother has had such a negative experience with us on her account and with her service. We'd be glad to investigate this further, and answer any questions you may have. Please let us know if you'd like our help by responding here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I had Century Link for few months and noticed the slow internet and poor service, incompetent employees. Century Link sales rep asked me to add DirecTV for 30 days worry free service. I tried it for one week and cancelled DirecTV, but they billed me for it and denied the No termination fee if cancelled within a month.

I called another sales rep, and recorded Century Link assuring the public with the 30 days No termination fee. Century Link promised to remove the fee, but 9 months later it showed in my credit report as a charge off. Charge off benefits Century Link but harm the public credit score. Those who are affected by the dishonesty of Century Link should join me in a lawsuit to stop them from their dishonest and malicious action.

CenturyLink response

Hello Ammar; we could understand how this billing issue with DirecTv would be frustrating, and we would be glad to clear up any misinformation or confusion with your account. Please let us know if you would like our assistance by reaching out to us here, and we'll take it from there. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: March 14, 2019

We signed up for CenturyLink because we were promised installation would be taken care of in 30 days, but that you’re obliged to put 60-90 days in the contract. We are now past the 90 day mark and contacted you and were told it would be an additional 60 days. We are now working with three people and cannot get in touch with anyone and cannot get a copy of the Master Service Agreement for our records after one week of asking for it.

CenturyLink response

Hello Cheyenne- we're sorry to hear your installation has been heavily delayed with CenturyLink, and that you haven't been properly helped getting the order issue resolved. We'd be glad to investigate this for you, in order to work towards a permanent solution. Just reach out to us here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I've had CenturyLink now for over 3 years. At first I bought CenturyLink and DirecTV together as a bundle. Then DirecTV wanted to overcharge and add channels I didn't want so we got rid of them. Why have DirecTV when you have Netflix and Amazon Prime? Anyways, My Century Link bill went from $45 to $101+ and keeps going UP! Why? I have no idea! It says on their website "pay this amount for life". Yeah right! BS! How can I fix this?

Original review: March 13, 2019

CenturyLink has sent numerous techs to my house to fix my internet problem. Each time I have to take time off work because they can't work around my availability. Each tech claims to have fixed the problem and each time I still end up with same issue. My internet is dropping constantly. I have been back and forth with this issue for over a year now. Very frustrating and ridiculous. I pay every month. Why can't they actually fix this problem??!! No concern for their customers. On top of everything they want me to pay to fix the issue if it happens to be in my inside wiring. Very much over this. I am begging for other internet options at this time.

CenturyLink response

Hello, Rhonda. I can definitely understand why you would be upset considering how long it is taking to get your internet issues resolved. I would be more than happy to help you get this resolved once and for all if you send us a message on here. I look forward to working with you.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I have a tech or two out here every single week trying to fix the same problems that I have had for over 7 months. I call every single day about the same issues, multiple times a day. I am literally spamming their customer service center with complaints. I don't care one bit how much of a bother I am being. I will continue having techs out here EVERY single week until I am friends with all of them. I might even start offering them dinner and a movie. Oh wait... It'll buffer for 5 hours first. I recently tried downloading a 41GB game, it took me 3 entire days to download that. 3 ENTIRE DAYS NON-STOP! Meaning, not turning the computer off for 3 days straight!

My DSL connection constantly stops every single day, multiple times a day. My modem tries to retrain itself more than 30 times a day and this is the 4th modem we have had. I get 100,000+ CRC errors hourly every single day. I get slower than dial-up speed 88% of the time. And I pay $45 a month for this service. TRASH! TRASH TRASH TRASH TRASH TRASH! ** THIS COMPANY. Hope you guys die in a sewer hole.

CenturyLink response

Hello James - we apologize that you're currently experiencing poor service on our behalf, and that the issue hasn't been resolved for you yet. We'd be glad to look into this for you, and answer any other questions you may have in order to get this fixed. Just let us know if you'd like our help by responding here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: March 13, 2019

Updated on 03/19/2019: After CenturyLink came to the conclusion that they I wasn't going to willingly pay them $121 that they claim I owed DirecTV, (we were suckered into a bundle billing plan), CenturyLink now somehow has control of whether or not I can use DirecTV as my cable provider. DirecTV is in agreement that we are paid in full. After two months of getting nowhere with CenturyLink in this matter I finally cut ties with them, and contacted DirecTV to have their bill submitted to us. All seemed ok for a couple days, then all of a sudden my cable is cut off.

I contacted DirecTV and asked my balance and was told (which I already knew) that we were current, however I had to contact CenturyLink to get the service reinstated through them first. What? The service is in my wife's name, not CenturyLink. CenturyLink is trying to extort me out of money. You can read in previous correspondence through this website where CenturyLink claims to have no control in regards to the DirecTV portion of the bill. Apparently that's a lie. They were able to shut off my service even though I paid the bill every month and DirecTV acknowledged this. If you are looking for a service provider I urge you to steer clear of CenturyLink.

Original Review: Bundled with DirecTV and have a $0 balance due, yet CenturyLink is gonna cut off our service because they show a past due of $121 which was an error by DirecTV and was corrected 2 months ago. They can't seem to understand that. I have talked until I'm blue in the face. They both tell me it's the other company’s responsibility.

CenturyLink response

Hello, Mark. I can definitely understand why you would be upset given the situation. I would be happy to investigate this for you and see exactly what's going on with your billing. Send us a message here and I'll help you out.

Original review: March 12, 2019

CenturyLink provides the worse customer service! I have not had internet for 7 days now, the lines were cut and damaged but when I call they tell me there’s no outage in my neighborhood and it takes 9 days to get a tech. They refuse to send an engineer out even though I can see the cut lines in the street. I work from home and this has happened at least 6 times this year. The overseas office is clueless and going through Facebook is a waste! I am beyond frustrated with their lack of customer care not having internet and staff not communicating with different departments. How can an IT company be so fragmented. How can you not provide a service to your customers and yet still charge them? Today there is still no one working on the cut wires! I wish CenturyLink would sell out.

CenturyLink response

Hello, Hattie. I'm sorry it's taking us so long to get someone out there to get this resolved. I would be happy to investigate this for you and see what's going on. All you need to do is send us a message on here and we will get started.

Original review: March 12, 2019

CenturyLink customer since 2006. Now having trouble with DSL for since July of 2018. DSL service deteriorating and is now out everyday now from 17:00 until 08:00 next morning. 12 hours, 14 hours, 16 hours, sometimes 18 hours of outages per day. Also experience numerous slow downs, and outage during any normal day documented by internet WIFI speed apps. Multiple phone calls to CenturyLink, multiple purchases of new equipment based on customer service recommendations, e.g. new DSL modems, new wiring, new router. Converted wireless WIFI devices to unlimited 4G LTE service. Service tech out to my house several times, “Everything outside the house is GOOD.” CenturyLink Service continues to tell me it is my equipment inside the house is the problem.

After hours and hours on phone, and numerous “trouble-shooting sessions” the CenturyLink customer service / “Engineer” finally explained to me that all my internal WIFI devices are all trying to update, all at the same time, for 12 or more hours every night from 17:00 of 08:00, and causing a “bandwidth bottleneck.” When I suggested that is not true, and not even possible, the CenturyLink customer service / “Engineer” personnel just hangs up on me. Nothing has ever been resolved, nothing has improved, service has actually deteriorated, and I have wasted hours contacting CenturyLink, documenting my internet speed with apps and MBPS data and even used the CenturyLink speed app on their own web pages. All my efforts were wasted, because they ignored all my data and threw it back at me as “INACCURATE / INVALID / IMPRECISE / FALSE data.

I am disconnecting my service. Because I do not have DSL internet functioning, my DirecTV (that CenturyLink bills for) does not work correctly. No streaming, no playback, record errors, buffering during watching live TV or any recordings. I can barely watch live TV on my DirecTV without numerous interruptions. CenturyLink says it is NOT their DSL problem and then blames DirecTV, and DirecTV blames CenturyLink. I am disconnecting my satellite too. To CenturyLink: If you do not want to provide your product and service to customers, just say so in your ad, do not waste our time, money, and resources with the non-existent service departments, staff reading off a pre-published script and transferring customer complaints from department to department. Just tell the truth “At CenturyLink – we don’t care and we still make money!”

CenturyLink response

Hello Rod - this issue with lack of customer service and internet is not what we want our customers to experience, and we apologize that this hasn't been resolved yet. We'd be glad to investigate the line issues for you, and answer any questions you may have. Just let us know if you'd like our help by responding here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: March 12, 2019

First of all my bill went up to 130 a month from 80. When I called billing told me they only could lower my bill to 104 if I signed up for an upgrade to 25 for life! So I did it. They came without me knowing and I came home and I had no landline or internet service. Mind you they sent me a new router for the upgrade. Anyhow after waiting home 3 days they never showed up. Each time texting me that they were running behind and it would be another day they would come. I called 8 times spoke to supervisors and supervisors supervisors still nothing. After a week I finally cancelled my service. We only have 2 providers here and no wonder they think they can push loyal customers around. They have a monopoly here!

The day I mailed the modems back on my way home the service tech called and told me he was there to fix the problems hahaha! He told me they should have never offered me the higher speed cause we can’t get that speed here. This company shouldn’t exist cause of what they put their customers through! I am now forced to go with Hughes Net. Hopefully they are better! Oh and Optimum is here too. Guess what company that is? You got it. CenturyLink! We need more competition here to get CenturyLink aka ATT their parent company to get on the ball for their customers and lower their prices!

CenturyLink response

Hello Pat, we apologize that the experience you had with us led you to cancel your service, and we could understand how this would be pretty frustrating to deal with for new service. We'd be glad to look into any other questions you may still have for us. Just reach out to us here privately, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I was simply trying to set up a static IP. 1st day spent over an hour on the phone, transferred 6 times, still no one can help me. 2nd attempt: called, they told me they could not help me over the phone, that I had to go online to set up. Did that. Chat transferred me 4 times, then made me wait around on the chat thing for 20 or so minutes, then they tell me I have to call customer care. After they just told me I had to go online! So I call again, transferred 3 times. Finally I had to threaten to cancel services if they transferred me one more time. Now I have a static IP. Which they charged me a set up fee of $75. They should of waived that for the hassle but no, of course not. I cannot wait for other services to be available in my area. I’m throwing a party for all the people that rate CenturyLink 1 star (and that is almost 800 people from what I see on BBB).

CenturyLink response

Hello, Brittany. I'm sorry you had to go through all of that just to get a static IP. I would be happy to open up your account and see what we can do about that activation fee for you. All you need to do is send us a message on here and I'll help you out. I look forward to working with you!

Original review: March 11, 2019

I have been calling and chatting for a week since paid installation trying to get my digital phone service to work. Poorest customer service I have ever experienced. My call has been dropped upon departmental transfer more times than I remember because I signed up online for bundled service called SimplePay. I am so disappointed after being a twenty-year Cox Communications customer and wanting to try another service.

CenturyLink response

Hello, Virginia. I think anyone would be upset considering your situation. It is unacceptable that you were transferred so much just to get your phone services working. I would be more than happy to investigate this for you and help you get this resolved. Send us a message on here and we will help you out.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: March 11, 2019

I have complaints on BBB about this company. So before we moved we got 25mbps and we were a mile from colo. We called an was told wed still have 25mbps when moved. Mind you were now less then 1/4 mile from colo. Well we couldn't get 25mbps, only 10 is avail at our address. And they didn’t notify us of this. So that was BBB complaint #1. Complaint #2 is that our connection will sometimes bounce between 20-100mbps or drop completely. Which means that we obviously can get more than 10mbps and they refuse to acknowledge this. Your move CenturyLink, I can file complaints all day long till you up our speed. Which I know for a fact can happen. I mean you don't just randomly get ridiculous spikes like that if our address can't handle those speeds.

CenturyLink response

Hello, Jess. I can understand why you would be upset. I'm sorry we haven't been able to get you faster speeds at your new location but I would be happy to investigate this on your behalf. Send us a message on here and I will assist you. I look forward to working with you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 10, 2019

Internet speed is really bad, it is a snail pace or drops completely off. I canceled only my internet service and without my knowledge they cut off my phone service too. I am a disable person so I need phone service. I would have to sign up for phone service like a new customer, at a higher price than what I was paying. I now have a different company.

CenturyLink response

Hello, Sonie. I'm sorry that we didn't provide you with the internet speeds that you needed and that we disconnected your phone service when removing your internet service. I would be happy to help you get your phone services restored. All you need to do is send us a message on here and I can get started. I look forward to working with you.

Original review: March 9, 2019

CENTURYLINK FORMAL COMPLAINT. I would like to express my extreme disgust with CenturyLink lack of customer service. I started with CenturyLink business when I started my business in Feb 2004 and had one home phone line and two business lines and soon added internet and email. During that time I was paying over $250 each month.

I moved my home office from Lafayette CO to Loveland CO on 18 Jan 2019. On the 15 Jan I called customer service and talked to Chris and asked that he cancel my CenturyLink service as soon as possible. He explained there would be approx $150 early termination penalty as my contract was until October 2019. I said that was acceptable and thought all was finalized.

On 22 Jan I called to confirm all was canceled and spoke to Alicia who explained cancellation was set up for the next day 23 Jan. She also advised that Chris had only canceled my two business lines and not the home phone, plus internet/email was still active. Now I ask you why would I still need internet and home phone if I had already explained to Chris I was MOVING and selling my house in Lafayette?

On 01 Feb I get my bill of $255.61 which I paid immediately. It was received as usual. I called again and spoke to Rhonda who told me the home phone was STILL CONNECTED! She also explained that if I canceled the internet, I would lose my email which to say the least was upsetting as no one had mentioned that previously. She said I could keep just the internet/email for $70-$80 month. I said I would give that some thought but likely would make other arrangements. She said to call back in 1-2 weeks to see that all was finally canceled correctly.

On 21 Feb I get a new bill for $370.27 which is due 06 March. I have NOT paid that bill as I cannot get a straight answer as to what the hell it is for! Rather than speak to another kind, solicitous employee who goes on to do absolutely NOTHING we discussed I tried the computer chat and “spoke” to Jeneva ** on 4 March. She kindly explained that I had no option but to pay the new $370.27 and I would likely get another bill after I pay the current one.

She then put me through to Alba ** who gave me an order/cancel # **. Now remember this is 21 Feb and I called and canceled EVERYTHING with Chris on 15 Jan and this “new” cancel order number is still my HOME PHONE! (**). I am a woman business owner, a senior and disabled. I think the way I have been treated is disgraceful and I would never recommend CenturyLink to friends, family or indeed clients. I have always paid my bills on time and was a loyal client for almost 15 years and indeed a residential client since 1993!

I am requesting an actual review of this terrible experience and I want a FINAL bill from you bearing in mind the failure to cancel per my request was totally on your end. I will NOT pay the current bill $370.27 until I get both a resolution and an apology from a CenturyLink manager who has at least a modicum of authority.

CenturyLink response

Hello, Alison. I can understand why you would be upset. Anyone would be considering the amount of run around that you were given. Chris should have resolved this properly when you first contacted him. I can help you get this bill resolved for you if you send us a message on here. I look forward to working with you!

Original review: March 9, 2019

CenturyLink is the worst company I have EVER dealt with in my entire 51 years of existence. In December, I had to update my package for internet and cable. Prism TV is pretty much gone or you will be charge quadruple from what you previously paid. They force you into getting DirecTV satellites. I was adamant that I did not want one, but because I live out in the country I didn't have a choice of providers, but CenturyLink. The customer service agent lied to me from the second she started talking. She stated that the satellite dishes are about 10 inches now and we will not lose service when it rains because if it rains the dish will pick up another satellite and we will continuously get service. I was told that I would receive a $300 Visa card within four to six weeks of signing up for DirecTV. That was a complete lie.

It is now March 9th and I am still waiting for my $300 Visa card rebate. The lady also stated that the DirecTV guy would come out and would do the install in a completely professional manner. Well that was a complete lie too because I had to go behind him and clean up the mess that he dropped in my backyard of screws, wiring, zip ties. He did not secure the hole that he drilled through my house to install the wire to my television. He left trash on my roof. I had to go to Lowe's and buy a cover for the inside of the house where he put the wire through the wall and I also had to secure the outside hole because it was loose and water and insects could have crawled through it into my house. When I called CenturyLink to complain, all I got was, "You need to call DirecTV about the installer and we're sorry that she told you misinformation. Will re-educate her".

Now I get my bill for this month and it's three times what I was promised. CenturyLink is a monopoly in the country part of Tallahassee Florida. They don't give a damn about you. I will treat you like crap and lied to you. I would stay away from CenturyLink. I promise you that you will have issues with them. Maybe not at first oh, but you will have issues with them. I am currently seeking a new avenue for high-speed internet and cable television at my home. I hope to be able to call CenturyLink and tell them in a very nice way to go pound sand. They have no local offices in Tallahassee so that I can go talk to human. You have to call an 800 number and deal with somebody in a state very far away. Again let me repeat... Stay away from CenturyLink at all cost.

Original review: March 9, 2019

I've been having issues with internet for 4 days now. I have spent over 3 hours in the phone with repair, had 4 service tickets open, waited at my home for over 20 hours for the tech to show up and no one had knocked on the door yet. Every time I call they apologize and escalate it, but still no one shows, no one has called and nothing has changed. My internet has now gone down 42 times since 2:24pm today. For a communication company they don't do a very good job. Any suggestions?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 8, 2019

Unfortunately I’ve had CenturyLink for over a year now. I can’t switch because apparently they’re the only provider in my area. Smh. I don’t know what I pay for when I can’t even stream Netflix on one device without constant buffering and losing signal. I restart and power cycle my router at least 5 to six times a day only to get it back up for 30 min. I’m so over this. No reliable service but always get their money. Smdh. This is ridiculous.

CenturyLink response

Hello, Kaenne. I'm sorry you've been experiencing such low speeds and so many connectivity issues. I know how frustrating it can be when you want to watch Netflix and you aren't able to. If you send us a message on here, I would be happy to help you with the internet issues you are experiencing. I look forward to working with you.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I canceled my landline at the end of Jan (2019). They said they would also cancel my autopay and that I should pay the last bill by check. When the bill came (Pay IMMEDIATELY) I sent them a check for the remainder. The same day I mailed the check, they withdrew the amt from my checking. Just received a bill with a credit on it. I called Customer Service to ask for a check to be issued. First person could not help, passed me on to a man who couldn't speak English and he passed me on to DirecTV dept. All of this took 29 minutes, mostly on hold. (It has never been unusual to be on hold when calling; this was just excessive.) All of this happened on 3/7/2019. Of course DirecTV couldn't help me. They couldn't even see my account. I am totally angry and frustrated with the total ineptitude of this company. I DO NOT RECOMMEND DEALING WITH THEM IN ANY MANNER BECAUSE OF MY EXPERIENCES WITH THEM.

CenturyLink response

Hello Kathy - we apologize that you weren't properly assisted with your billing, and that you received misinformation about the process for the final statement. We'd be glad to clear any confusion/misinformation up for you, and answer any other questions you may have. Just reach out to us here privately, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I dislike this company. They make fake promises to give you the speeds I asked for and got half of their lowest connection speed and I am still paying full price for 40 mbps and at the most I got 14.7 mbps. And if I cancel I'll get charged 200 bucks. Tecfinity was much better.

CenturyLink response

Hello Joshua - we apologize that you are not able to take advantage of the speeds you're subscribing to at this time, and that you haven't been properly helped with the service issue yet. We'd like to offer our help to get this resolved, and answer any other questions you may have - just let us know if you'd like our help by responding to us here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: March 7, 2019

Where do I start? Internet speeds are **. Half the time I do not get the crap speed I pay for. The other half I get buffer buffer buffer and more of the same. It is 3 am and yet I have less than dial up speed. You stuck and if I had any other choice I would drop you in a heart beat. Get your act together. It's 2019 for duck's sake!!!

CenturyLink response

Hello, Charles. I'm sorry to hear that your internet speeds leave something to be desired. I would be happy to help you with the speed issues you are having and with any other CenturyLink issues you are experiencing. Send us a message on here and I will help you there.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 5, 2019

Rep in October 2017 signed me up for price for life internet and phone bundle at $85/mo with Direct TV. Statement turned out to be almost twice as much as quoted, plus she didn't initiate phone service and I was without my landline for 6 days. Promotional Visa gift card took until April to receive after being promised for Christmas, my making several calls, and being transferred to other company for resolution. Internet out 12 times in first month then so intermittent I stopped counting. Customer service, especially chat don't know how to answer questions and one chat can take over 2 hours while they transfer you 4-5 times. Then there were the times the internet dropped and I had to start all over.

In early January 2019 people were texting me saying they couldn't reach me by landline, phone rang and rang, or was immediately cut off, one person heard voices on my line. Tried to resolve that and then my dial tone went so I couldn't receive or make calls. Used all my cell phone minutes trying to deal and requested another ISP. When I cancelled CL on January 18 I told them new provider installing on the 19th. I was not informed that to keep my old phone number I should disconnect after the 19th so my phone number could be ported over. Had to re-open a new account for porting over the number and was not told that would cost $60. Account open for 6 days and after much frustration for the new ISP and myself, I got my old phone number back. For 6 days got a bill for $109.84, due 2-27.

On 2-25 I used their automated phone system to pay the balance, which had changed to $86.72 due to refund. I paid that amount but the amount failed to show up in my checking account. Today I spent the entire afternoon trying to straighten out this final bill mess. CL reps told me an incorrect account number had been entered and my credit union rejected my payment. Credit union said not so, CL needs to re-post. CL claimed they can't re-post but could take my payment by phone for $3.50 charge. Why should I have to pay a charge when I'm correcting Century Link's error??? I paid the $86.72 - again with the additional $3.50 and learned my current bill was now $116.84, which appears to be a $7.00 late charge tacked on to their initial bill of $109.84.

Now I learned there is a $30 fee for the returned payment. Funny how I have paid almost all of my bills for many years using my checking account number and routing number without the slightest problem - until I used Century Link's automated system. The most incompetent business I have EVER had the misfortune of encountering, and bordering on scamming customers for every nickel they can figure out a way to collect - in addition to paying for service that was either non-existent (phone) or so intermittent as to be non-working (internet).

They have tried to repair, and have checked lines - my home is fine, it's in their own systems. Exactly the same thing that happened when I had Quest - bad service that slowly deteriorated to practically non-existent, techs checked lines, my home okay, their problem. Had I known Century link was just Quest 2.0 (only worse!) I never would have come near the company. I'll be heading to the state AG's office with this.

CenturyLink response

Hello, Marilyn. That sounds like a profoundly frustrating experience and I'm sorry you had to go through that. We definitely should have been more clear about the gift card and the billing as well as help you get the services repaired in a timely manner. If there is anything I can do to help you, send us a message on here and I will help you out.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 4, 2019

On or about Feb 6th, I ordered internet service by phone with CenturyLink. An appointment time was given for them to show up and set up the equipment needed for service. But that day came and went. The technician no call/no showed. I called in and got a new connection date. Same thing happened again. No Call/No Show! Someone else had ordered service at this address previously, so they could not connect service until the first order was canceled. That issue was sorted out and then there was a hold placed on the account because they claimed they had defective equipment. For a month, I was stood up by the technician and on the 22nd of Feb I canceled the order. No one ever showed up here to hook up internet. But they did charge me a 75 dollar deposit.

Today is March 4th, and so far I have received 10 letters explaining my charges. I would have to pay to them for internet service. None of the explanations had the same dollar amounts. All 10 are different amounts. I called them on the phone and told each of the 10 people I was transferred to, my name, the account number, the last 4 of my social security number, and the fact that they are billing me for service I never received, and that I canceled the order on the 22nd of Feb. The 10th lady was very rude and told me that since I never called in (which I did repeatedly) the deposit of 75 dollars would be refunded by mail in 45 days. I then proceeded to be fairly nasty on the phone using language I was not proud of.

This is the absolute worst experience I have ever had with a company. They take your deposit, never give you service, but bill you for it, tell you that you owe them money, even though you have never even had service with them. I have all of the phone conversations with customer service recorded. If there is a lawyer reading these, I would love to be part of a class action lawsuit against them. I am a disabled vet on a fixed income and 75 dollars is a lot of money for me to just do without for 3 months because I wanted internet service with this joke of a company.

CenturyLink response

Hello, Billy. I'm sorry we weren't able to provide you with service in a more timely manner and you had to cancel the order. I would be upset too if I was still billed despite the cancellation. I would be happy to investigate this bill and see if there is anything we can do to speed up that deposit getting back to you. Send us a message on here and I'll help you.

CenturyLink expert review by ConsumerAffairs

CenturyLink was founded 1968 and is now the third largest DSL provider in the United States. The company provides Internet, television, home security and home phone services. It also partners with Verizon to offer cell phone service. Customers receive discounts for subscribing to multiple CenturyLink services.

• International plans: CenturyLink offers reduced rates for calling select countries in Central and South America. They also have plans for other international call and plans specifically for calling Canada.

• Extra features: Consumers can choose a plan with a wide variety of features, including call forwarding, caller ID, three-way calling, voicemail and more.

• Refer-a-friend: CenturyLink’s refer-a-friend program rewards consumers when someone signs up for a new service using an existing customer’s referral link. If the new customer remains with the company for two months, both parties receive a gift card worth up to $75, depending on the type of service the new customer selects.

• Online support: The Guidance Center section of CenturyLink’s website has tools to help customers with questions or problems. If customers can’t solve the problem on their own, they can easily make a service call request from the same page on the website.

• Best for: CenturyLink is best for consumers who want to bundle multiple services.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs