formerly Qwest

3.5/5 (1073 ratings)

About CenturyLink

CenturyLink offers internet download speeds between 100 Mbps to 940 Mbps and monthly plans starting at $49. It provides bundling services for residential and small business customers and serves 36 states. Not all states in CenturyLink’s converge area will have fiber optic options. CenturyLink breaks its internet services down into two main categories: the DSL plan and the Fiber Gigabit plan.

Pros

• Great for gamers
  • Up to 940 Mbps
  • No contracts

Cons

• Gigabit not available in all areas
  • Not available in all states

Bottom Line

CenturyLink offers internet, home phone and TV programming services. Most internet options are best for basic internet speeds on a few devices, but the Fiber Gigabit plan is good for heavy internet users.

Top CenturyLink Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

We've had CenturyLink internet service in one of our Park City, UT condos for about 3 years now and we've been very happy with it. I'd highly recommend their internet service if y...

Verified

Dan from CenturyLink came out to our home today and he installed our new internet and cleaned up outside previous cables from other companies at no charge. He was thorough, profes...

CenturyLink internet plans

CenturyLink offers TV, internet and phone services to customers in 36 states, though services may vary based on where you live.

CenturyLink internet
If you are only looking for internet service for your home or business, CenturyLink has two options. The CenturyLink Internet with Price for Life option makes it easy to browse the internet, stream videos, send emails and connect multiple users and devices. There are no contracts or price hikes.

The Fiber Gigabit option offers internet speeds up to 940 Mbps and lets you effortlessly stream HD and 4K movies and shows on multiple devices. Each device experiences symmetrical speeds and unlimited data.

You can select the internet speeds you need and browse plans based on what is important to you: streaming movies, listening to music, gaming or uploading videos.

CenturyLink TV
If you are looking for an alternative to cable TV, CenturyLink partners with leading satellite providers to offer an extensive selection of TV channels and programming options. The streaming TV services do not require contracts and can be customized to your TV watching needs. CenturyLink offers makes it easy to access services and premium channels such as:
  • YouTubeTV
  • FuboTV
  • Sling
  • Starz
  • ESPN Plus
  • Fox Nation
  • Disney Plus
  • Hulu

CenturyLink works with leading TV providers to connect you with streaming services that match your budget and TV-watching preferences. Customers can sign up for CenturyLink and start a free trial through the TV provider.

Each provider offers different channel lineup options, streaming options and recording services. Many offer no-contract plans with no installation requirements. Once you’ve signed up with the provider, you can download the company’s app and start steaming through CenturyLink internet right away.

CenturyLink home phone
CenturyLink’s home phone plans offer long-distance options and popular calling features like call waiting, voicemail, three-way calling, call forwarding and caller ID. The basic plan covers local calls, and the unlimited plan includes all of the features of basic plus local and long-distance calls. CenturyLink also offers international calling plans.
CenturyLink bundles
If you need internet, phone or TV packages for your home or business, CenturyLink offers bundle deals to help you combine services and save money. You can bundle two or three service options without committing to a long-term contract. Bundle options and prices vary by location.

CenturyLink internet prices

Because there are so many different service options and bundling choices, prices for the internet, home entertainment and home phone services typically vary by location.

Internet prices
Typical prices for CenturyLink internet services are:
  • CenturyLink Internet with Price for Life: $49 a month for all speeds up to 100 Mbps
  • Fiber Gigabit: $65 a month for speeds up to 940 Mbps
TV prices
CenturyLink doesn’t offer streaming channels, but it connects customers with leading TV providers that do. For this reason, prices and packages vary, but the average TV streaming service offers more than 60 channels and costs anywhere between $50 to $75 a month. DirecTV, DISH and AT&T TV are $59.99 a month for 24 months.
Home phone prices
Home phone service with unlimited nationwide calling through CenturyLink is typically around $60 a month.
Bundle prices
Prices and available for CenturyLink’s bundles vary by location, but sample prices for plans are:
  • Home phone and internet: $85 a month
  • DirecTV + internet + home phone: $145 a month

Some other fees that consumers should be aware include a broadcast fee of $2.49 per month and a sports fee of $2.49 per month

CenturyLink FAQ

Is CenturyLink a good internet provider?
Yes. CenturyLink offers fast internet speeds and the ability to choose internet programs to meet your streaming needs and budget.
Is CenturyLink DSL or cable?
CenturyLink offers DSL and fiber internet service.
What does CenturyLink do?
CenturyLink offers internet, home phone and TV programming services for residents in 36 states.
What is CenturyLink Prism?
Prism is CenturyLink’s premium HD TV programming service. Customers have access to premium channels like HBO, Cinemax, Showtime and Starz. The most basic Prism package starts at $44 a month.
Can I use my own modem with CenturyLink?
Yes. If your modem works with CenturyLink technology, you can use your own modem.
Is CenturyLink Fiber good?
Yes. CenturyLink Fiber offers fast internet speeds that make it easy for multiple devices to stay connected.

CenturyLink Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CenturyLink?

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

Once I got past the initial ordering process the service has been pretty good. I have had it for about 2 years, had only one call which was handled quickly. Service has been reliable. No downtimes since installed.

Good morning, Dale,

We are happy to hear you are enjoying your service. Our goal is to provide each customer with great service and a great experience. If you need any help at all, you can reach out to us here, or at any of the following contact options:
Facebook - www.facebook.com/CenturyLink/
Twitter - twitter.com/CenturyLinkHelp

Contact Us - www.centurylink.com/home/help/contact.html

Cherie

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

CENTURYLINK has had a bad reputation for a long time. I have helped a lot of my computer customers when they have had problems with the internet service. I recently moved in a new neighborhood and was dreading having CenturyLink. I went online to find out about service and was pleasantly surprised to see high speed service at a very reasonable price. I was able to order it and have the new router and installed it myself with some phone help. It was very easy to set up and is working like a champ. I'm getting 50-60 Mbps on a stable line and even had it at 70 Mbps. Upload runs consistently at 20 Mbps. It's great for streaming tv and many other options.

Hello Nancy,

We're glad that your experience with us has been going well so far. However if that changes please let us know and reach out to us here or at any of the following contact options:
Facebook - www.facebook.com/CenturyLink/
Twitter - twitter.com/CenturyLinkHelp

Contact Us - www.centurylink.com/home/help/contact.html

Have a great day.

Sabrina

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2021

Communication was difficult for set up because I was on hold for 30-45 minutes each time. The company who laid wire was different than the company who connected it. The company who connected it was different from the troubleshooter. One hand doesn’t know what the other one's doing. It’s a BIG MONOPOLY!

Good morning, Laura,

Thank you for reaching out via this channel and opening a case with us. I am very sorry for the issues you encountered when trying to get your service connected with us. If there is anything I can help you with, please send me a private message.

Cherie

Original review: Sept. 24, 2021

The service can be slow at times, especially on the laptops or disconnect for no reason. But this is an improvement from prior service. We pay for the higher speed, not sure if this is worth the higher price.

Good morning,

Thank you for reaching out via this channel and opening a case with us. I'm sorry you're experiencing issues with the internet. I understand how frustrating slow speeds can be and the importance of staying connected. I would be happy to review your account for any issues. Please send me a private message.

Cherie

Original review: July 28, 2021

I don't like that new people get a bigger discount than a person who has paid their bill on time for years. I would like a faster internet speed but it is not in our area. But the cable is enough for me. I like that we can record and watch.

Good afternoon, Cheryl,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I would be happy to review the services on your account to ensure you are getting the best rate. If you still needed our help? Please reach out to us here via a private message and I would be happy to help you.

Cherie

Original review: Jan. 2, 2022

In February 2021, CenturyLink billed me for a modem that I had already shipped back using their provider UPS label; I dropped it off at the UPS store in Atchison, Kansas, boxed and their postage label applied. I called back after receiving the bill and the male representative found the modem had not been properly processed as returned but agreed to resolve it - he was able to see that it had been returned. I thought all was well. I attempted to set up new services today only to discover that they never resolved the issue. They also refuse to allow me access to the account and refuse to look up the tracking information that they provided for the modem. It’s been so long that I don’t have that receipt anymore either.

Great way to repeatedly and fraudulently bill former customers: delete/block access to the account so they can’t get a copy of the shipping label to prove a modem or equipment had been returned and then bill for that same modem, claiming it hadn’t been returned. Resolution: provide access to the old account and a copy of the shipping label. These are my proofs that it had been returned. Then provide a credit for the balance your company is fraudulently billing for returned equipment.

CenturyLink response

I am sorry, but the account number you provided does not have the last 4 of the SSN listed. Please provide me with the remaining information so I can gain access to your account.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 3 stars
    Original review: Dec. 31, 2021

I signed up for CenturyLink internet one year ago for my new place. I did it online and had it automatically charged to my card, like most services these days. One year later, I am moving and was wanting to sign in online and transfer my service from my current place to my new. I found my experience with CenturyLink to be easy and with zero issues from setup to service. When attempting to sign in online, my username, email, and password were all rejected as not being connected to an account and I had paperless billing so didn't have an account number. I checked my email and realized I've never received an email bill from CenturyLink either.

Frustrated I called customer service for assistance. After going through the 4-5 automated menus, I was hung up on the first three times I called and finally connected to a live person on the 4th. She was friendly and assisted me with my account number and sent another email with a link to sign in. The email never came through. When I attempted to sign in with the account number given- a red notice popped up stating that their account numbers have either 9 or 13 characters. The one I was given was 11. Slightly more frustrated I called back repeatedly, getting hung up on by the automated system about 5 times before connecting with a person. I explained what just happened in the earlier call and the red notice given about my account number. He then asked why I wanted my account number in the first place which I found very odd. I'm not sure why my personal business is needing to be explained.

I was told that I have a Prepaid account and that the online sign-in is different for prepaid accounts. I wasn't aware I was on a prepaid account since signing up for services online and paying monthly is pretty standard and not usually considered prepaid. When I stated I was confused because that's not what is considered prepaid for most businesses, instantly hold music was playing. I was on hold for a few minutes and an entirely new person answered like it was a brand new call. I was surprised and confused and went on to again, for the third time, explain what was happening, my frustration, and that I no longer want to transfer my service, I want to cancel it. They then repeated how I could have done all of this online myself, which I then repeated that none of my credentials work online which is why I called in the first place.

They couldn't explain why my account number was 11 characters instead of 9 or 13 or what the prepaid login site was. They then said they were transferring me to Services to assist in canceling. The line then disconnected. I literally threw my phone. It was now 1230pm and I first called around 1130am. I called back a few times until I got through to a human again. I immediately stated, "I'm sorry to do this to you but can I please speak with a manager?" This person was calm and listened to me, stated they could get their manager but if I wanted to cancel I was calling the wrong department and asked if they could transfer me and then I could ask for a manager in that department. This made sense so I agreed and was appreciative of just not being hung up on and they transferred me to Services.

Once I was talking to a human again, I said, "I am sorry to do this to you but can I please speak with a manager?" They asked what it was regarding and that they could assist me. I again said, "I am sure you can assist me but I am so frustrated at this point and have had to call back so many times and talk to so many people that instead of transferring my service like I was planning I just want to cancel it because this level of frustration and lack of customer service and the fact I've been dealing with this for an hour and a half is just unreal and unjustified. Please please please let me speak with a manager. Please." Again he stated that he can help with whatever a manager could help with. l was going to lose my mind. I started to think about what I could do next. Like.. if I literally am refused a manager, I'm trying to cancel my service and am being hung up on repeatedly.. what are my options.

My first was to start calling corporate numbers and the second was to call my bank and just have them cancel CenturyLink transactions.. I couldn't think of what else I was going to be able to do to disconnect from CenturyLink. This customer service and level of difficulty canceling was just absurd. I again stated how I was growing increasingly frustrated and don't understand why they're refusing to let me speak with a manager. They stated they weren't refusing but I should give them the benefit of the doubt that they can help me. Getting worn down I agreed and again stated I just want to cancel. He wouldn't even start the cancel process until I gave my new address so he could look up the speeds they offer there. He told me they haven't updated my new neighborhood yet and that my speeds would change from 100mbps to 15mbps. I laughed out loud, not on purpose but for a large city like Seattle, that's an insane difference in speeds.

I stated that even without this horrible experience, once I learned of the 15mbps I would have canceled anyways. Their competitor offers speeds between 50-1200mbps with cheaper prices than I was paying at CenturyLink! I can get 300mbps for 1 year for $49.99 and I was paying $59.99 for 100mbps at CL. The agent then repeatedly offered me deals to stay. Like a $100 giftcard. They were like.. that like two free months of internet. $50/month for 15mbps? I told him to please stop, I would really like to cancel. Between this horrible customer service experience and the fact that their competitor is offering way better service for better prices- CenturyLink needs to step up their business game.

I was put on hold and finally was able to cancel my service. After finding out that the "c" in the .com of my email was missing which is why I never received any bills from them, I received the email that confirmed the cancellation. I've never had such an angering customer service experience nor have I ever changed my mind so quickly from transferring to cancelling a service simply because of how their employees interact and respond to customers.

Good morning,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback and I truly apologize for any issues you encountered when trying to reach us to cancel your service as this is not the experience we want our customer to have and I understand how frustrating that was for you. I am happy to hear the issue was resolved and if there is anything I can help you with, please send me a private message.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Dec. 27, 2021

Updated on 01/03/2022: I have been paying for 10mb service for years and have not gotten anywhere near this service. Their service was out completely when I arrived at my home on 12/25/21. I requested a repair. SOONEST they could send a repair person is TEN DAYS later on 1/3/22. FOLLOW UP-Consumer Affairs needs to know that CenturyLink sent their tech out today (it has been 10 days since I reported it was not working) and the tech sent me a text that he completed the service. He never contacted me to see if I was satisfied or if it was working. I connected my phone only and ran a speed test. 4.54 download speed/.084 upload speed. I ran it a 2nd time. 4.67 download speed/.72 upload speed. When I connected my laptop, I could not use at all.

I reached out to customer service both online and on the phone. The online service tech scheduled service for 1.6.22. I immediately asked if there would be anything done differently, -no response. I asked again- response is "it's a line issue" which I know is the same problem that I have been waiting TEN DAYS to be repaired. FYI_ the repair man, Max, told me during the repair that he has never been in this area and was not familiar. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! SO the best you can do is to reschedule again, for the same service that I have waited TEN DAYS FOR? I have canceled my service but want to make others aware of this poor service company.

Original review: CenturyLink is THE WORST!! I called them for service and after doing diagnostics, they said they have to send out a service person. They said it would be TEN DAYS before they can send anyone out. TEN DAYS! TEN DAYS! Who in the world can wait TEN DAYS for internet service?? I cannot work, I cannot watch TV, I cannot even read on my Kindle because I cannot download a book. I cannot listen to music. WHO CAN WAIT TEN DAYS??? This is not the first time. IF you have ANY OTHER OPTIONS-Do not use CENTURYLINK!! I do not have any other providers in my area so I am STUCK!

Good morning,

Thank you for reaching out via this channel. I apologize for the trouble you are experiencing with the internet as I understand the importance of being connected. I would be happy to ensure you have the first available appointment. Please send me a private message.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Dec. 25, 2021

Previous to me moving onto my parents property, my parents had the phone line I have now. At least 10 - 15 years before I got it. Whenever it rains for a couple of days the phone goes out. I’ve lived here 6 years. So I’m talking about 16 - 21 years of the phone going out of order when it rains. And we live in Oregon! It rains here. Last year my phone was out of order for a month. I wait 1 week for service and if that service doesn’t correct the problem I have to wait another week.

Each time I report my annual outage I tell the executives at CenturyLink I make it very clear that it is imperative that my phone work because I live next to my 92 year old parents so I can help them. Calls for help in night are not unheard of. Mom can not walk and her heart is failing. If mom has another heart attack, and she will, Dad has to leave her and walk over here to get me. She could die while he’s getting me to come help. If Dad falls or has heart trouble there’s no way for mom to let me know. She has to just sit there and watch him suffer. And my cries for a rapid repair fall on deaf and uncaring ears. If only cell phones worked way out here in the country where we live. As soon as another service is possible I will drop CenturyLink in a heartbeat. If you have any other choice, go with someone else. Centurylink is horrible.

Good morning,

I apologize for the trouble you are experiencing with your phone service, as I understand the importance of staying connected. I would be happy to review the account. Please send me a private message.

Cherie

Original review: Dec. 23, 2021

Yesterday, quite suddenly, our SmartTV stopped streaming. I found that the internet had disconnected. Checking my laptop, it had also disconnected. I reconnected but the speed was so slow that the TV would not stream, loading pages on my laptop unbearable. I called CenturyLink. I chose the option for a call back and about 20 min later someone called. We checked the speed (which I had already done), found it very slow. The tech had me play a youtube video and then declared that the speed test was wrong. I suggested that the router might be bad, we looked at that and told me I had too many devices connected for the speed that I was subscribed for. Now, I'm not a genius but I'm also not an idiot.

I pointed out that the same devices were connected earlier in the day - no problem. He wouldn't listen. After about 40 min. I told him never mind and hung up. I called again hoping to get a different tech, which I did after waiting about 50 min later. After a few minutes into this conversation the line just went dead (even though I was still connected). A third call got me to another tech, who pinged my router and said that was likely the problem. I was happy that this diagnosis was quite quick and was also happy to accept a new router for $200 that I will receive next week. This morning, guess what? Internet back up to normal speed, SmartTV streaming. And I'm on the hook for a new $200 router. Not exactly happy.

Hello Bonnie,

I'm happy to hear the issue has been resolved but I'm sorry you had to make multiple calls to get a resolution. If you need more assistance, please feel free to send a private message.

Sabrina.