CenturyLink

formerly Qwest

Compare Internet Service Providers

Research top Internet Service Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Excess billing went from 160.00 to 239.34 to 473.29. And I got rid of the cable and got DirecTV. Called CenturyLink. I was told on the 239.34 bill I only owed 30.34. I had overpaid on the 160.00 bill for Aug. Then they did send me a bill for DirecTV on the 473.29 bill. But I don't want to be billed with them. They OVERBILL AND NOW THEY WILL NOT REMOVED ALL THE EXTRA CHARGES!! And I called CenturyLink again. Got transferred 8 times and was told I needed this dept. No you need this dept. REALLY THEN THEY HUNG UP ON ME!

I also filed a BBB complaint to people know this is what they do to people. I also was sent a shut off notice for this month! They I was told disregard. Need HELP ASAP! I also was that I was leasing the modem that I was paying on for a year!!! So they sent me out a new one. And was being charged 33.00 a month for it for three month. They sent two not one, I returned both. What a class act! They cant keep track of what people’s bill really are. This EXCESS BILLING NEEDS TO STOP!

I had 1200 in my bank. They say my payment bounced. Charged me, I didn't realize paid it and now they say I did receive. Make a payment and wants me to pay 50. REALLY. This is also every freaking month and when you call back, prepared to sit on hold. So far I've been on this phone for an hour and I'm still on hold. I pay 28.94 and have the slowest Internet that you can get for 10 somewhere else but YAY ME I GOT LIED TO AND STUCK IN A 2 YEAR CONTRACT. So for 2 years I have to call every month for them to fix their mistakes. Oh yeah I'M STILL ON HOLD! I'm pretty sure no one's coming to answer this and I’ll have to start this all over. They do that a lot too.

This co is a disgrace. Set an appointment in a 4-hour window, two hours later and two calls to customer care still not here. The first co care agent was a total worthless piece of crap. The second was better still no resolution. This is no way to treat customers. God bring Google fiber to Boise. Put these worthless idiots out of business.

My 90 year old mother ordered service from CenturyLink in May, 2017. She never did receive any service. No TV, Phone or Internet. She couldn't access anything and had no phone service, which she needed because of health issues. She called and a serviceman was sent out to "check it out". Service was never connected. In July when I was visiting, another serviceman came out and informed us that there had never been any service because it was impossible to connect. CenturyLink had no access to lines. He informed us that the other tech should have told my mother that. The second tech informed us that he talked to accounting and billing and input info into computer so they could refer to it and give my mother full credit, about $250.00.

Now in September, 2017, my mother is still receiving bills and no amount of calling gets any results. The people answering the phones hang up on me or put me on hold for at least 40-50 minutes. Tonight, I called and spent at least 3 hours being hung up on and put on hold. This company should have their business license taken away. Nothing compares to the way they handle customers.

Avoid this company at all costs. They were recommended as a carrier in my area, I would guess as a paid deal they had with our utility company. My concerns started when a technician missed an appointment to install service. I called customer support and spent two hours fighting to get someone to acknowledge I had service with the company at all. When I finally got to talk to someone I discovered that I had been signed up for phone service when I did not have to have it or need it, and I had been signed up to pay for services that were not available in my area. I corrected my account and set up another service appointment that the technician never showed up for. I chose to go with Rise Broadband and spent another hour on the phone canceling service while the very helpful Rise Broadband tech got us up and running with little to no hassles.

2 months later I got an email from CenturyLink asking how my internet connection was going, with the wrong zip code as the only information on it. At this moment I have been on the phone for 2 hours and have talked to 5 different people without getting any straighter answer than I got from the first round. I have never received a single MB of data service from CenturyLink, but they have cost me close to 10 hours in hassle. I can only imagine how horrible dealing with them on a regular basis is.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CenturyLink?

Husband opened an account with CenturyLink in March 2017. He set up internet services only and authorized wife to have access to the account for payments and any other issues that could arise. We began getting billed for services we did not order, wife called to rectify account. In order to assist wife, CenturyLink representative requested her SS#.

Upon receiving another bill, account preferences appeared unchanged with no correction to amount owed. The billing account holder name had been changed to wife's name without permission. The name was incorrectly spelled and wrong last name. Wife called CenturyLink to rectify and CenturyLink did not justify why name on account was changed. Wife did not appreciate CenturyLink changing account holder information and tried to explain why it seemed illegal. They explained that since husband allowed wife to have access to account they could do whatever they wanted since authorization was given for account access.

They did however correct account to internet service only. Upon receiving the next bill we still were billed for more than internet. We subsequently received a reimbursement cheque. The account holder name was changed again, this time wife's name was correct, wife questioned CenturyLink who again said they had permission by wife having account access.

Moving forward... Sold our home, wife called July 6th, 2017 to make final payment and close account as of July 13th, 2017. We continued to get a bill account was not closed. Wife called to cancel again August 23rd, 2017. Account was still not closed. Wife called again and was told $200 was due to cover the canceled contract. Wife did not sign a contract...

Wife took CenturyLink box to location in Ballard and to discuss account status. Young man at counter read notes, says wife called on August 23rd, 2017 to close the account August 13th, 2017. Wife told clerk the date was wrong. He printed up a bill and account was still open!!! Clerk insisted the notes are correct. I told clerk I would call CenturyLink to straighten out account.

Wife called on September 13th, 2017 spoke to Enrick at Centurylink... He read word for word all the notes. Wife told Enrick that dates are noted wrong and still account is open. Enrick said wife and husband are responsible for the account per notes on account. Enrick explained that after making payment on account on July 6th, 2017, the CenturyLink rep would have transferred wife to another department to cancel account. Wife told Enrick that she did not do that. Enrick says that since I had never been transferred, the account remains open??? Wife told Enrich that this was the third time she called to cancel the account. He argued and wife told him he was being recorded, he hung up.

Do yourself a favor and have nothing to do with this company. CenturyLink is without a doubt the worse consumer experience I have ever had. Have been a customer with them for 8 months and after promising a bundle rate for Internet and Prism TV they have never bill me the rate that was promised. For 8 months I have had to call billing and customer retention to have straighten out and the next month they move it up to rack rate. (Full Price)

I have now spoken to at least 30 people with CenturyLink and It is obvious to me that their business model is a bait and switch. Or they are the most inept company in existence. Last night I even had a service representative call me and say. "We have your name number for a service call but have no work order. Did you need something." He said it like it happens to them all the time. STAY AWAY FOR THIS COMPANY. I have never not paid a bill in my life. But they will be the first on pure principle.

Called three times to upgrade my internet because they could not provide me with a reliable 10 meg that I was paying for. I spoke to three different people before finally being able to complete my order. I was quoted three different prices because the people I talked to did not all have the same information. Then after completing the order I was scheduled for upgrade on 9/11. When the tech did not show by late in the day I called and they told me he would still be out. When he did not show by 5 I called again and they told me it was now postponed. Worst customer service experience I have ever had!

I have been a long time customer of CenturyLink. We used to have Directv bundled, but opted to cut the cord and we are just on internet service now. We had a few issues with service over the years, but lately it's been really out of hand. The issues we have are: 1. Frequent DNS resolution issues, 2. Frequent Packet loss at 75% and 100% for Multiple pings (6 or 7 of 10), 3. Tracert with stalls and no connection, jumping to another.

These things can sometimes not be noticed if you aren't checking, as if the first 6 attempts don't receive connection responses, the 7th one does and your content appears. So you just feel like it was slower than usual, or expected. But sometimes it won't open the web page, or loses connection for that movie. Or your phone reverts to cellular and you see that you used data, when you thought you were on wifi all day, in your own home. This results in real world costs, that were unexpected. Blowing your data plan on your phone. Having to tether your child's (school issued computer) to your phone so they may complete homework - thusly blowing your data plan on your cellular phone. Being unable to take that work from home day, because, you can't get your emails or join that one meeting you have to be on, except on your cellular phone, with no content viewable.

It also results in paying full price for partial delivery of services or goods. I pay full price each month, but don't get full service each month. Then you are locked into a contract with penalty fees, like a kidnap victim needing to pay the ransom to get out of this ordeal. I viewed Mediacom complaints on this site, and see them responding to negative posts. There was a pretty even mix of good and bad reviews. Whether or not they fix the issues, they are out there doing something. I saw 3000 negative posts about CenturyLink, Haven't seen a reply yet. Think about that. I'd pay more for the same service if were actually delivered consistently. That's a consumer statement. Take heed companies.

So, a couple years ago I lived in Colorado and unfortunately, the only option I had was to use CenturyLink. At the time, it didn't seem so bad. The internet was decent and the price was only a little bit higher than I was used to. I used them my entire stay and I must admit, they were always very helpful whenever I needed something. Unfortunately, that entire track record was good when I cancelled the service and moved to Michigan. I did everything as I was supposed to. I cancelled the service over the phone before my service end date, I returned the equipment promptly, and everything was all said and done.

About a week before I officially moved, I called to ensure that everything was in order and that everything was all said and done. I was assured that it was. I confirmed again that my equipment had been received, and it had been. I already knew that everything was done, but I wanted to confirm it for myself. I knew because the Internet/TV stopped working before I returned the equipment.

Fast forward a few months. I start getting phone calls from CL on my old phone number (I kept my old number on Google Voice for a bit just in case). These calls were asking for payment of an overdue account. I called back (on my new number... oops) to find out that I had an overdue bill of nearly $150.00 that for some reason hadn't been paid. It was crazy to me that the bill would be that high, especially considering that my monthly bill was just under $75.00. Somehow, they got the idea that I owed them payment for two months of service for a time that I hadn't even lived there. I talked to the rep and after a few transfers I found the the right place and everything was settled. I explained that the bill was impossible as everything had been settled and all balances set to zero before I even left the state. After doing some looking, the rep agreed, apologized and everything was good.

Now, I won't even get into details about the future of this because for the next few years, the same thing keeps happening every 6 months or so. Get a request for payment, call and settle it, then it's done. Then it pops up again. It just popped up again this morning, but the difference is that this time it's from a collections company called ERC. I've talked to multiple managers, gotten everything cleared away multiple times and yet, here we are. I hate to rant so long, but this loop they're dragging me through is ridiculous. Every time I call in now it's the same thing. I ask for the exact reason I supposedly owe money, and all I'm giving is the generic, Overdue bill. No reason for why it's actually there, why it was put back, nothing. It's infuriating.

WORST internet company EVER! I apparently have the top speed for my area (15 miles north of Denver). My internet is SO FREAKIN' BAD! I ABSOLUTELY HATE IT! My computer freezes, takes up to a minute to load my email, Twitter, etc. I asked for a tech to come out and check my internet! The guy checked and said I was getting the correct speed and that it HAD to be my computer! My computer is 2 years old and I'm running Windows 8. Then I was told that I have too many devices on my wi-fi and that was slowing it down! I am so done with CenturyLInk. I signed up for HughesNet. It's costing me 30 more a month but to me it's worth it. HughesNet is satellite so I won't be sharing my internet with anyone else in my area! THEY'RE PATHETIC! DON'T USE THEM. YOU'LL REGRET IT. I CAN GUARANTEE THAT!

On July 15, 2017 I scheduled to increase my internet speed from 10-25 Mbps and the tech that was scheduled to install on July 18 did not show up and I received no call from the company stating he was not coming. I waited all day and finally called at 6 pm and it was rescheduled for July 25. The tech arrived and worked on the front box in my yard for a short time and then left stating he would be back to complete order. Instead of coming back, he turned off my internet completely. I called customer service again and informed them that I had no internet and was told that the tech will be returning either later that evening or the following morning to give me a new modem and service will be working at that time.

NO service tech showed up the following day so I called again and was told after speaking with several supervisors from many different departments that he would be coming and to wait until 7 pm but he did not show. I called the following day and again was told he would be coming and to wait until 7 pm but he did not show again! Called the following day and was told that he would be there but again NO show. I still had NO internet service this entire time! Called the following Monday and spoke with Ray from the Retention/Loyalty office to cancel service. He canceled my service and promised me that I would NOT be charged an early termination fee because it was the "company's fault" that I had no service or any tech come to complete the installation. He stated on several occasions that I will not be charged an early termination fee and said he put canceled "without penalty" in my account.

He gave me the direct number to the retention office and instructed me to call if I do receive a bill. On August 9 I received a bill for services for August and also a letter stating an order confirmation and pricing of a modem that I never received. I called the direct number to the loyalty department as instructed by Ray and questioned the bill. I was not allowed to talk with Ray as requested and was told that the service was canceled but there is NO notation about canceled "without penalty" in my account as promised by Ray so I will be charged an early termination fee next month.

ON August 11 I submitted a complaint to BBB and it was processed on August 14 by BBB. I have not as of Sept 9 received a response to my complaint and received a bill from CenturyLink for $176.30 on Sept. 9. I sent an email to the contact person at BBB asking for assistance in handling this matter since I feel I should not be responsible for paying a termination fee due to the company's incompetence in handling service calls. I have called customer service on numerous occasions with no cooperation.

Was charged sooo much more than what I heard. Initially you guys told me installation will just be $99. Then you guys sent me an email saying that this and this and this will be all included in the billing for first month. I assumed that it was that $99 so I agreed about the billing. There was no mention of how much it is going to be in the email you sent us. THEN, YOU GUYS CHARGED ME $240 FOR FIRST MONTH INSTALLATION. It would have been super nice to be informed about the price before. I called, and very unhelpful and disrespectful worker at CenturyLink told me that I already agreed for those charges. Haha, of course I did because I thought it was going to be only $99.

That was real nice for you guys to hide the fact that there will be other charges. And that was real nice to not mention about other installation prices. That is how you guys make money. I am going to be raging about this issue and hopefully in the future you guys will NEVER back stab your customers like this. I really want to stop CenturyLink and go for Xfinity. However, I cannot even do that anymore since you guys all charged me sooo much money for putting holes through my wall. Very Frustrating.

I was a CenturyLink customer for 6 years, not because their product and service was great, because it's not. But rather because I don't hop from service provider to service provider, and I was annoyed, a lot, but not mad enough to switch for a while... until I found something better, which I did. I found another provider and canceled service. CenturyLink internet service is sorely lacking, streaming is painful, and customer service is subpar. Difficult to watch movies, and kids can't play their games. When you contact CS you are told one thing, but nothing happens. I have dealt with various service providers in various areas of the country, and CenturyLink is by far the worst provider I've selected. Unfortunately, for new customers who go to their site, all you see are 4 and 5 star ratings and reviews. Clearly, from this impartial page, that is not the case. No 5 stars here.

I closed my account in Dec. and paid my final January bill - including the three weeks I did not even have service with CenturyLink, but customer service refused to credit. Three weeks with a new provider, 5 weeks since canceled services, and they still would not credit the three weeks I was no longer a customer... Literally, the invoice had the monthly dates listed for service, and three of those on the bill, I was no longer connected. BUT, with no help from customer service I paid it. I was tired of fighting for something and I wanted to move on, so I paid it!! Here I am, 9 months later, no word, no notice, no letter, no anything from CenturyLink. I have now received a notice from a collection company trying to collect a debt from CenturyLink.

Seriously, I have phone calls to make, but this company has abused me for the last time!! I never wish badly on anyone, it's not good karma, but I can't say the same for this company. I hate to see all the complaints and know that I am not the only customer who is not treated in a fair and equitable manner for a service provider I chose, but I am so glad I am no longer with. Don't trust them to do anything properly. I sure am curious though why my debt was sent to a collection agency, without contacting me first? No best practice for this business, obviously.

I contacted CenturyLink today regarding the establishment of new service. Our address is rural and exclusive to CenturyLink. No other providers are available or allowed to establish new service in my local area in North Carolina other than satellite which is not an option for us. After telling me that internet service is available at 20 mb, I was placed on hold for several minutes. I was then told that CenturyLink was not adding any new lines to the existing service due to too much saturation. I was told to just keep checking back every two months. What company does business like this?

CenturyLink has a monopoly over any other internet provider, so we are unable to obtain internet outside of CenturyLink yet they refuse to provide us service even though we are located on a major highway and right across the highway, there is a business that is using CenturyLink for internet. If they are unable or unwilling to provide service in their own area, then the area needs to be opened up for competition.

We have a choice between CenturyLink & Comcast. They both stink. Slow or no WiFi, connectivity fails frequently, takes forever to get customer service, costs well over $100/month for WiFi & landline.

I have been a CenturyLink customer for 18 years and have come to the point where I am ready to tell them where to stick it. I only have the lowest speed internet, (10 mbps) so every year after it goes up to some ridiculous price I call Centurylink to see if they have any special offers. They usually find something around $35 a month so it's worth the call. Last week I called them. I speak very good English so am not hard to understand. I said to the girl on the phone that my monthly internet bill is extremely high and if there were any offers right now that could bring my monthly cost down. Now is that so hard to understand? I would think not. She told me that she could bring it down to $19.99 a month for the next year. I was amazed and very happy, that was the lowest price ever.

I have the automated billing and when my bill gets over a certain amount I receive an email to warn me. Well guess what? I received the email again yesterday and my bill was another $20 more than it was the previous month. This customer service person had added on a service that I did not even ask for. It's called the Century @ease option. I don't know what the heck it is, I don't care what it is and never will care what it is, all I knew is that I was paying for it. I am so stinking mad right now. I still haven't called them because I found out on Sunday and today is Labor Day and the retention department is not working. Don't they record their customer service conversations? Maybe they just listen to them. I will be on the phone to their retention department tomorrow. I'm livid right now. Unless they come up with something wonderful I will tell them to disconnect. I'm just amazed how these people stay in business with so many bad reviews.

I'll keep it brief: Phone lines hanging in bushes, failure to install in ground for several years. Land gouged by trunk line installers, left in a mess. Poor reception: crackling and fussiness intermittently on phone. Years behind current technology.

My name is Carol and I signed up with DirecTV in my new home in Florida. When I sign a contract it was bundled with my internet and phone through CenturyLink with autopay on my credit card 49.99 per month for the DirecTV. No hookup or equipment fees. Well first bill got slammed almost 300 dollars hook up on phone and internet. I worked out still got stuck pay but whatever for hook up of phone and internet. I just said that's life and let go but and ended up with separate bills. Then my bill was not the same each month within a few dollars so never wanted to hassle with. Then they took rebate for auto pay off. Never really noticed but husband had been handling bills and he just paid whatever my card was. I opened my bill for the first time and 115 dollars looked back at old statement they had been over billing for three months.

First month was 10 dollars credit for auto pay which they still were taking. Then this bill and month prior were both over double what they had agreed to. I can't find my contract. Spent hours trying to get straight. They refused to credit overpayments back. They said I had agreed to sign up with AT&T. I explained that was not what was agreed to. I agreed to phone and internet with CenturyLink as bundle deal. I'm not sure where contract is so asked them to send copy of where I signed agreeing to sign up with at and my signature on that page. They refuse to send. Then told I would dispute the portion that was over billing with my credit card if they refuse my request. They offered to drop bill down by 50 dollars for 12 month. I ask about credit for overcharge said can't do that.

Then after the credit card company reversed disputed amount keep in mind I left portion agreed to stay with them not trying to get out of what I agreed to just refuse to pay more than that. They sent a bill for almost 80 dollars showing like there was a 40 dollar credit on the amount disputed. Then do to me putting block on any further billing. Two days later got bill for almost 180 dollars. I told them they broke the contract and to pick up equipment on first call if they refused to work out. Then called again after got other two bills. They still refuse to send copy of contract by mail and refuse to work out again. Won't give name of Manager or anyone over supervisor and won't let me speak to anyone that can show me where I agreed to sign up with AT&T.

They can't because it doesn't exist. I will not pay them would rather watch DVDs or nothing than deal with a crooked company. I stand by my principles and would stick to my word but expect the same in return. Honor, and integrity. I came from a time when your word, your promise meant something. This is not true for big company's or a lot of people in today's world but mine means something to this day.

We live in rural northern Virginia and have no option but CenturyLink for telephone and Internet. When we first moved in 4.5 years ago the house was already wired and connected to CenturyLink by the previous occupants. Nonetheless, it took CenturyLink 2 weeks to activate the service. They gave us a constant stream of conflicting excuses and lies for their incompetence until I threatened to sue them because I am disabled and entitled to "Lifeline" service under Federal Law. It worked the next day.

Last month I caught them charging us $9.99 per month all year for a router they admit we returned last December. I had earlier complained about the fraudulent charges in April causing them to issue a 3 month credit [it should have been 5 months] while continuing to charge us another $9.99 on the exact same bill. This cannot be inadvertence; it is the same type of attritional theft Wells Fargo has done to millions of its customers, hoping they would not notice.

Now the long distance service went out yesterday. We cannot call out of our own area code, I cannot call my wife at work because she works across a state line and I don't even know if we have 911 service. They admit in a recorded message that they are experiencing a "systemic" problem with service in our area and promised restoration today. It is nearing midnight and we still don't have service. This is the type of problem that must be worked on 24/7 until it is resolved and I seriously doubt any of these yahoos are working on it Friday night before the Labor Day weekend. CenturyLink is inept and corrupt beyond words.

CenturyLink is by far the worst company I have ever dealt with. Their customer service is a joke - I'm not sure where they find these inept people, but they are worthless. We had CenturyLink for a year, then moved this past May. They offered us a "discount" because we also had DirecTV. Fast forward 3 short months... our bill went from being $65 to $352! Our CenturyLink bill is more than our electric bill... and we live in the desert. Their inept, untrained and completely rude customer service are no help at all - they offer excuse after excuse, promise after promise and deliver nothing.

Our bill was supposed to "fixed" each time (5 total) that we were on the phone with them and it never happened. It only kept increasing. We just cancelled our service, and of course we were told that we would be billed an additional $200 for cancelling the service. Good luck to them trying to get that out of us. Listen to the reviews... STAY AWAY FROM CENTURYLINK. They will suck the life and money out of you.

Great wireless provider! I have never had a problem with them. When my bill got a little expensive, they worked with me so that I got a more reasonable rate.

In this day and age you would think that just having a home phone/land line would be pretty easy to handle. Evidently not with CenturyLink. I had a home phone installed a month ago for my Mom. After three weeks, no dial tone. Put a help desk ticket in via the internet... Said it would be SIX DAYS before someone could come out and check the problem. SIX DAYS! Now that's business days, not including weekends. After day four, I called them again (customer service is not in the USA) and was told they had no way of getting out any sooner. Ok. Well, they came out at day five... Tech who came out said "I don't know how you've had service because the person who hooked up the line missed all kinds of things". So, "Adam the tech" gets the line going again.

That lasted for a day. One day of service. Phone goes OUT AGAIN today. Put a call into customer service this time... instead of via internet... SIX DAY WAIT (business days not weekends) for another technician to come out!!! I'm just shocked that 1) there is no one local to come out and fix immediately/reasonable time frame and 2) customer service (Philippines, maybe?) has NO CLUE what is going on... They have a script to read and anything outside of that script is lost in translation. Luckily, she's moving out of this apartment in a few months and WILL NOT be taking the service with her.

I set up for auto pay. DO NOT DO IT if you have live paycheck to paycheck. I noticed that Century Link took out the expensive Wifi from my checking account on the 29th instead of the last day of the month. This caused me an overdraft charge of $35 from my bank because my deposit wasn't in yet. I contacted CenturyLink and they admit that they do not take the funds out on the same day (last day...) of each month. It varies. They are the ONLY company that is not consistent with auto pay that I deal with.

I've been a customer of Centurylink close to 10 years. During this time I used their Internet DSL offering for 2.5 years. Recently, our Internet service went out for 5 days due to some part that failed on the Centurylink side. With kids beginning school, the internet has become a necessity at my home, especially for homework assignments. Every time I contacted Centurylink for a status, I was left guessing when things would be fixed. Never did I get an ETA. On the 5th day, I told them I've had enough and decided to switch to Comcast since I needed to get Internet going for my family before going on a business trip.

They accepted my Internet disconnect request and told me my phone would remain on. I even recorded the call. Two days later everything was shut down, including the phone. I find this act incredibly rude and dishonest. I cannot believe the staff was so incompetent that they would shut down all services when I never asked them to. They were making money off my phone service. There's a serious training issue at this company. Good Luck.

I could write a book about CL's Customer and Technical Service which basically is non existent. I would rate them ZERO stars if allowed. They only care about getting paid monthly or in my case an Early Termination Fee of $200. They claim I agreed with the terms of a 2 yr contract but are unwilling to provide proof that I did so. An account retention/resolution rep for them basically told me I would need a court order to get CL to comply. I canceled my account after many years of frustration with their poor internet which are the same problems mentioned by most of the bad reviews. That is chronic connection speed issues. CL is long on promises and short on consumer service.

I was an internet-only Century Link customer for a year and had every intention of staying with them when I moved to my new home on July 1st. I had set up the transaction to transfer my services to my new address, but this was never accomplished. I spent 3 weeks on the phone with customer service representatives just to be told inaccurate information and passed on to someone else. I got the run-around for 3 weeks when I finally decided to terminate my services with Century Link and go with another company. By then, I had bought two different routers and spent several hours on the phone with NetGear trying to get service. I ended up with two accounts created under my name and recently received paper bills stating that I owed money.

When I called customer service today to find out exactly what the bills were for, I received Greg as my representative. From the beginning of the conversation, I felt that Greg was talking down to me to the point that he felt it necessary to define what paperless billing was. During the conversation he kept chuckling as if to say "You should have already know that." I asked to speak with a supervisor and was told by Greg that it would basically do no good because the supervisor would tell me what he was already telling me.

I eventually was able to speak with a supervisor and was able to get answers to my questions. Throughout the three weeks of trying to get internet restored and then again today, it appears that CenturyLink doesn't train their representatives to provide respectful and accurate information to their customers. I am very disappointed in their customer service that they have provided. After reading reviews, I'm finding that I'm not the only one who is dissatisfied and was treated poorly. CenturyLink is such a disappointment.

I switched over to CenturyLink's from Cox back in January. Cox service connection was great. My prices just kept creeping up. I pay $165 per month for cable and internet. However on a daily basis, my television signal has been lost on damn near every channel! It's frustrating when you're trying to watch a show and you can't even watch it, it tells you to reboot reboot reboot. I've rebooted everyday and I still get the same issues! CenturyLink service sucks.

I moved into an area that is only serviced by CenturyLink or satellite. I only wanted high speed internet. Nothing else. It's taken numerous calls, too many to count to get it installed. Billing was and is a nightmare. It started out with then saying it would be $35.99 a month. I have to call every month and figure out why my bill is soo high. First they had a phone service on there. And charging me for 911 and taxes and fees and installation. I fought that. They said that I have to have it to have Internet? They even gave me a phone #. I tried my jacks. Didn't work. Called my number, not in service.

They still said I had to have it. I said, "WHATEVER!" It's not on my bill anymore. I was supposed to get a discount for signing up with autopay to bring total down to the $35... Now we are to today. I gave them a good month and a half so they wouldn't say, "It needs to register for a month!" Ugh. Today after being on the phone almost an hour... They don't give the auto pay discount to the program I'm on!!! Are you kidding me!?? Every time I called. Which was 7-10 times. Plus when I signed up. They told me each time my discount would be applied. WHEN I SIGNED UP ONLINE WITH AUTOPAY!!! WHAT A CROCK OF **!!!

I subscribed for internet service at my apartment online from my previous address. I got an email confirmation stating I would get a modem in the mail. 15 days later nothing arrived and I had to go to the local office in Platteville to get a modem. I hooked up the modem. No go. DSL light stubbornly remained flashing green and then red. I called TEch Support and believe it or not after a hold that lasted for almost an hour I was told the following:

Unless and until the previous resident of your apartment calls and closes his account WE CANNOT ACTIVATE YOUR INTERNET SERVICE!!! I asked them how I was supposed to do this and there the tech maintained a silence. I then asked why don't they call that previous customer since they have his contact details and ask him to disconnect his service. I was told, "no, we do not call existing customers and ask them to close service". So, no internet service for me. Amazing. I wonder if that new FCC Chair Ajit Pai would read this and understand what customers face when it comes to internet service in this country. He seems to think we are living in some kind of digital data heaven.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

CenturyLink was founded 1968 and is now the third largest DSL provider in the United States. The company provides Internet, television, home security and home phone services. It also partners with Verizon to offer cell phone service. Customers receive discounts for subscribing to multiple CenturyLink services.

• International plans: CenturyLink offers reduced rates for calling select countries in Central and South America. They also have plans for other international call and plans specifically for calling Canada.
  • Extra features: Consumers can choose a plan with a wide variety of features, including call forwarding, caller ID, three-way calling, voicemail and more.
  • Refer-a-friend: CenturyLink’s refer-a-friend program rewards consumers when someone signs up for a new service using an existing customer’s referral link. If the new customer remains with the company for two months, both parties receive a gift card worth up to $75, depending on the type of service the new customer selects.
  • Online support: The Guidance Center section of CenturyLink’s website has tools to help customers with questions or problems. If customers can’t solve the problem on their own, they can easily make a service call request from the same page on the website.
  • Best for CenturyLink is best for consumers who want to bundle multiple services.

Compare Home Phone Service