CenturyLink

formerly Qwest

Compare Internet Service Providers

Research top Internet Service Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Worst customer service I ever experienced. I am a captive of my geography, which I am sure is the case for most of CenturyLink's customers. Price for service is prohibitive and internet speed has degraded seriously over the last 6 months. No other available option where I live so I am a captive audience. To help "solve" my problem, they sent a new router and then charged me for it. Like wow. They knew a router switch wouldn't help because they are ridiculously over capacity. They are in the petition to the PUCO to drop home phone service. Maybe they are waiting on that? Don't know, but this is scandalous.

Completely NONSENSICAL contract. We signed up for a 24 month contract and our bill was consistently ~$108-$110. Right at our 1 year, I just noticed the bill went up to $173.14 and it has gone up more and now consistently $187.57... Meaning, I'm being charged ~$63-$77 more per month than expected for the past 9 months??? Long story, short: We believed we were locked in for a monthly bill for 2 years for $110 and we were not. Centurylink provided me information which has left me feeling duped. I feel this was sneaky and I'm very frustrated.

This is what I heard when speaking with CenturyLink: "You signed a 2 year contract but it was only 2 years for HALF your package 2 years for the DirecTV, 1 year for internet." "You signed a 2 year contract for the DirecTV, but the price increases HALFWAY through your contract." "You signed a single contract but if you want to renew it, you need to negotiate with TWO different companies." A very nonsensical contract. They were not willing to work with us. We cancelled and never heard from them again.

The one thing that makes me dissatisfied with this company is having to contact them every six months to renew their discounts. Why can't they set the price and leave it alone? How many $ does this company make off of their customers by them forgetting to renew their discounts? This practice seem a little underhanded to me.

I would rate them a zero if I could. We upgraded our service and had new line and equipment installed (at a cost to us of several hundred dollars) on Friday. Sunday the service went out. Spent 2 days on the phone with tech support troubleshooting blinking lights on the modem etc. It was repaired and working intermittently. Now completely dead and they refuse to dispatch service until "next available" which is a week away. We work from home so waiting a week is not really an option, which was also explained to them. If this was any other product I would return it for a refund and shop elsewhere but we have no options in our area.

At any time between 4PM and midnight, the service is terrible. Example: if watching a 42 minute episode program on Netflix, you can count on spending about 2 hours while it plays for 2 or 3 minutes then buffers for at LEAST that long. Same thing with streaming music or YouTube. Speed tests show from 180kbps to 230kbps down and 80 to 100 kbps up. NOT mbps.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CenturyLink?

All I did was upgrade (over the phone) a week ago (when order was placed), and NO INTERNET SINCE! THAT'S SIX DAMN DAYS of no internet, and my income is earned with online sales! Guess what? Six days of lost work = $600 loss of income! I had to go over to my mother in law's yesterday, to use her computer. I can't keep doing that, darn it! And my BUSINESS taxes were to be done by now, And they're not even started! I can't manipulate my important photos, because I can't get them from my cloud to my computer. I cannot print shipping labels to get my packages out to customers from six days ago. I can't do banking, and woke up to a notification this morning that my checking account is overdrawn (I never do that!)

Plus - after using cell phone for 6 days (for everything else but work), I'm going to have to pay for extra data this month, plus over six HOURS on the phone with four different reps (none of who know WTH they're doing), and a repair service call was PROMISED to me by noon today. Guess what. It's 12:22 and still no one here, no internet, no text/call/email from them. Should I take them to court? (And this is the short version, because they've wasted so much of my time, energy, and peace of mind - that I have no time, energy, or mind left!) I now want to CANCEL my account, and I PROMISE I'll blast them all over the place if they won't let me. I just want out already. This is abuse (ab-use) of a fine, strong woman, and I've HAD ENOUGH!

I've been with CenturyLink in Colorado Springs for a few years now. Service has been decent for the most part and the technicians who come out to do installations/repairs are generally very nice, but billing and customer service have been HORRIBLE. And when I say horrible, I mean charging me for TWO SEPARATE internet connections at full price ($100 bill) when I'm supposed to be charged $30 FLAT, then literally getting haggled with when I tried to call in. Being told that they didn't have a promotion associated with my account when I had an email proof of purchase. One lady finally got my bills under control when I called in for the 5TH MONTH IN A ROW, but when I moved to a new location, it started all over again. And then I got charged a $200 cancellation fee when I had to move to a new location that already provided internet (which I could do nothing about).

Good work CenturyLink. Having been a customer for CenturyLink for the last fourteen or more years, and having read reviews that are almost 100% negative, I feel compelled to write a positive review. Fortunately, I have had excellent service from customer support to technical support, including their Billing Department. The most recent incident dealt with upgrading the DSL speed offer and DIRECTV. The price quoted to me was honored by them, the DIRECTV offer of extra moving channels for three months was also honored and I had an excellent support lady that had Direct disconnected the same day I called. Why I read so many negative reviews is perplexing, and I must be one of 100 or more that perhaps, has a good thing to say of CenturyLink and their personnel.

I have been fighting Century Link for over a year to get the prices they quoted for Fibre Optics High Speed Internet 40 mbs for $20. I have been a loyal customer for years. I tried their High Speed Internet quotes three different times during my time with them. This time they guaranteed this service and they had me terminate my contract with Comcast and they did not honor the quotes, even at the Executive Levels. They have said they made mistakes and misquotes but are failing to honor them. Several have offered rate quote solutions they are failing to honor and I was even told after asking them to review the phone conversations with representatives that they are not going to honor them and that the phone conversations are just for training purposes. I complained to most of the regulatory agencies who forwarded copies of my complaints to Century Link and even though it's true no one will do anything.

I was never allowed to speak to the CEO even though I left messages and wrote emails to him. This last round of communications with those who claim they represent him included rude and heavy handed correspondence but no one will rectify the situation. In fact, when I have spoken with Customer Service Staff by phone and some who came to my door, they are still offering rates that no one will honor. I have had to pay higher phone bills with no one willing to refund part of the price at times. The fact that they still have customer service staff who are still signing people up for rates they don't intend to honor is fraud. I even wrote to Jesse. SOMEONE HELP US!!!!

I've been a customer with CenturyLink for years... As a bundle customer, I have a bill that's hard as can be to decipher so I just paid it. Upon unbundling my service, problems quickly arose. Everything was taken care of except the fact that I've been paying for long distance service since early 2008... I've never had home phone service with Centurylink... EVER... They've ran me around for the last three months transferring me to different departments placing blame here and there. Got it all fixed today. For a documented total of over $2000 worth of fraudulent charges, I'm getting a credit of $64 on my next bill... What the hell is wrong with this company??? They've bought all the competing service providers in my area and then screw their customers over. Isn't this illegal? It sure should be...

This has been the most disheartening experience I have ever encountered! DirecTV part was amazing. In fact they are so thorough they are almost annoying. I had to tell them to stop calling, everything with them is good. Then their partner, CENTURYLINK, the most PATHETIC company I have ever dealt with. DirecTV should do themselves a big favor and disassociate themselves with CENTURYLINK! They make promises they WILL NOT keep! They LIE and just keep saying "I'm sorry!" I had a Customer Service Representative (from a country god knows where from) just today tell me that my service will be completed on February 01, 2017! You ** moron, today is February 05, 2017! Are you starting to get the picture yet?

I had to do a "Third Party Recorded Call" to give permission to have my existing Phone Number moved/transferred from Comcast to CenturyLink. Not once, not twice, you guessed it, Three times! I have all 3 Confirmation Numbers and to this day, they say that that process was never done, even though I gave them all 3 Confirmation Numbers confirming it had been! Want to talk to a "LIVE AMERICAN HUMAN BEING" that you can actually understand what they are saying (no pun intended)? Not at CenturyLink! I started this PAINFUL ENDEAVOR 2 weeks ago! Where do I go next, Better Business Bureau? This is so sickening and Disheartening you can't imagine. My recommendation, be careful what you wish for you just might get it! Run as fast as you can way from CenturyLink. They are liars, cheats, and don't give two ** about their customers! If this is how they treat a new service customer, imagine how they treat their existing customers!

I quit century stink years ago because their high speed internet wasn't high speed. I paid my final bill. 2 years later I check my credit, and there is claim that I owe CenturyLink $50. So I disputed the claim and won. Now, almost 2 years later, there is another claim that I owe these crooks $50. So I have to dispute that claim with Equifax. How do they get away with this? Can I sue them for lying to credit reporters like Equifax and Transunion?

I signed up for a $19.95 month promo for one year with CenturyLink internet. 6 months later I have yet to see a $19.95 bill, I have been charged $34 every month since signing up for the promotion. Their reps promise to fix the problem but never do. As if that weren't enough Centurylink has started sending me modem/routers. I've received three and two were sent within a 24 hour period. I didn't order them! I tried to contact customer service on February 3, 2017. The first Centurylink Rep Jay said he would check into the problem but after 34 minutes on hold hung up on me.

I immediately called Centurylink back at 5:45pm and a Rep by the name of Jensen told me that he couldn't help me right now and instructed me to call back in 15-20 minutes but when I called back at 6pm they were closed. I'm sure he knew they were closing at 6pm. All I was trying to do was stop the modem/routers from coming to my address to save them the costs for shipping and return shipping. Almost every experience I have had with Centurylink has been negative. They will promise to help you but nothing is ever done to fix the problem. I've seen many companies fail because they don't hold their employees accountable to a high standard and I believe that's going to happen to Centurylink. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

I have had this service for over two years. I have called several times trying to get better service. The service is so slow I can't run more than two devices. I can watch Netflix on my TV and while doing that my laptop takes forever to load. I should not have to wait 30 seconds for pages to load while watching a show. If my kids are using the WiFi on their phones Netflix won't load on the TV. I have called several times and all they tell me is that my service is running fine and they don't have the ability upgrade my service in this area yet. I live in Windsor Colorado and I can't get any other service here until I convince my landlord to let Comcast run a new line to the house.

Where is the zero star? CenturyLink continued billing me after I turned in their equipment and sent them an email back in 2013. Thankfully my bank stopped paying them knowing I had moved. So yesterday they sent me a large bill for 3 and a half years after my terminations of service. When I contacted them via Facebook their rep told me that they still had expenses sending the signal to my house and their policy is they only shut off the service with a phone call not an email. I sent them this... "CenturyLink's contention that even though I turned in your equipment and moved out of the US three plus years ago you still had expenses sending your signal to my house is laughable. Paying you for three years of service violates my policy of paying for service I never received. Thanks for understanding that a client's policy overrides CenturyLink's policy to not stop charging clients no matter what!"

I received a bill from CenturyLink but I never used their services. I inquired about their services over a year ago but immediately decided to stay with Comcast. They sent a bill to collections and I received a notice today. I have been on hold for hours and they are being so rude and no one is willing to help. NEVER even sure about their services. If I could give a lower star I would.

Was a new customer. Service connected on this past Thursday. Couldn't connect due to problem with phone jack. Service for tech to come out on Saturday between 9&1. On Friday I called to increase megabytes to 40. Was told a tech had to come out @ $60. I asked if the tech coming on Tuesday could take care of the phone jack problem. Was told no, a tech would still come out Saturday for the jacks. No one showed. Called was told the Saturday order was cancelled. I told them I was cancelling service immediately. Was given a disconnect order #. I told them to make sure the order for Tuesday is cancelled. I just got a call from the tech for the service today which was supposed to be cancelled. Poor communication between their employees. If I could recommend to everyone DO NOT EVER THINK OF USING CENTURYLINK.

CenturyLink quoted me a monthly price for a 2-year contract at $19.99. I signed up for this contract, but my monthly bill would vary wildly and always be higher than the quoted price. I was first told it was higher because I had not signed up for paperless billing (a condition which was not communicated in any way when I signed up). So I signed up for paperless billing. Still high ($52/mo). So I called back. They said it was because I had not signed up for automatic billing. So I signed up for automatic billing. Still the same price ($52/mo). I then spent about 5 hours with customer relations and they told me they had no record of the initial quoted price, and that I was out of luck. I even sent them my confirmation email that listed the price of $19.99 per month, and they refused to budge.

After a total of about 15 hours on the phone with CenturyLink, I finally got someone to grant me a temporary waiver down to $30/month and was told that was the best I was going to get. The internet service itself is terribly spotty and drops routinely. DO NOT SIGN UP FOR CENTURYLINK INTERNET. This is absolutely a scam, and they routinely breach their contracts with customers.

I received a promotion letter to get $10.00 off my bill, I called to take advantage of that promotion but I was offered a different one. $28.93+ tax to upgrade my internet from 1.5 MB to 7.5MB and I took it. The lady told me a tech would stop by my house to install the new high-speed internet on 01/30. The tech called me to let me know that the highest speed that I could get is 3MB and that I already had it! Not only they lied about the speed that I already have but also I can't get anything higher. I called customer service and the guy basically told me, "Well, it is what it is, oh and by the way your price is 28.93 but only for the first 2 months. The rest of the year is going to go up to 33.50." Lie after lie, zero customer service, they don't even deserve 1 star. This company does not care about its clients. BIG FRAUD.

I have had nothing but bad experiences with this company. When I started services with them, I specifically told this company that I did not want a contract. They ensured me that I was not in a contract. I told them I would be moving in less that 12 month, so it was imperative that I was not in a contract. They again, reassured me that I was not. When I attempted to cancel services, they told me during that time that I "was" indeed in a contract. This is terrible business behavior. I was lied to, and told that I was not in a contract, solely so this company could make a sale. Also, the service was terrible throughout my entire time with the company. My internet services were extremely slow and constantly disconnecting. At times, I would have to go to the local library to complete work because the internet service was so terrible. Overall, I give this company a 1 star rating.

On 01/27/2016 I had an appointment to set up a landline phone for my work at home. I was told to be home so I took off at 8-5 PM no one showed up or even called/emailed about not showing up. I reached out to the support on the CenturyLink website chat. A customer service rep named Tim assured me that they are coming and they allow a two hour window so before 7 pm the tech should be out. They are running behind in my area. Okay no big deal. I had an email confirmation of the date they are coming as well as multiple reps confirming this.

No one showed up by 7. I waited until 10 pm and still not a single phone call or email. I reached out to customer support and got hung up on twice. Reached another rep was assured not to worry she will answer all my questions! And then she transferred me to the "Tech Department". The tech department hung up on me multiple times before I got an agent who argued with me that there was no appointment. I asked to speak with a supervisor and got called back 20 minutes later when one was available. The supervisor gave me another phone number to call in the morning. This was the same department I previously talked to that sent me to technical support the "Customer Care" department. Upon calling them in the morning I was put on hold by multiple agents. Around 15-20 minutes into the hold I was hung up on and I have 4g service where I am at so it was not my connection.

The final agent I spoke with ended up getting me some answers and got a lot further than any of the other reps did and didn't hang up on me. I still did not get an answer on why the Tech never showed up but she assured me that after 5 pm Monday on 1/30/2017 a technician will arrive to set up my landline. I won't be holding my breath and I'm sure I'll be dealing with customer care again and tech support overseas until I can get this set up. I will not be purchasing another product from CenturyLink until customer service is fixed and actually know what they are doing rather than reading a script.

I just contacted CenturyLink to inquire about cancelling my service to 6 different business locations. I was on the phone for over 35 minutes and transferred 7 times. I told the agent that this was exactly why I wanted to cancel and go with an alternate communications source; I am totally dissatisfied with CL service and lack of customer focus. The agent then offered to be my business services representative to assist me with any problems. I said "too little too late; where were you 6-months ago when I spent hours on the phone with CL reps and it took 2-1/2 months to get phone service installed in a new location. Thanks but no thanks, I just want to cancel." The agent then told me it would cost me a penalty of nearly $1500 to cancel. I said "I am unhappy with the service, don't you guarantee satisfaction." She said that based on the term left in my contracts, that would be the charge.

So, a warning to all potential CenturyLink customers: once you sign up for service they have you where they want you. You will not be of any value to them after that because they are going to collect no matter what. Have a problem, well prepare to be on the phone for hours at a time, repeating the same information to every different agent you are transferred to and getting your problem resolved on their time schedule no matter the impact on you or your business. By the way, the agent I spoke with told me that CenturyLink realizes they are not customer focused, so they are working on a solution. I guess hitting existing dissatisfied customers with huge cancellation penalties is part of their new solution to being more customer focused. I can't wait to see what other strategies they will employ to garner customer loyalty and build their brand.

My advice: if you have any options other than CenturyLink for your communications needs, take them. Do not use CL for communications unless you have no alternative; and if you do have to use them, do not enter into any type of long term agreement. Options will come in time and you can avoid this terrible, inconsiderate abuse they call customer service.

I have had CenturyLink for almost 4 years. In May of 2016, after our promotion was over, we were offered a Prism TV bundle by a guy named Christian (I still have his email address). He told me that this bundle would make my bill around $55 a month, including tax. He also said he would not charge me for the Prism TV service fee. We were sent out the device and installed it ourselves. Needless to say when I received my first bill it was $180. When I called I was told that I was charged for two months of service and the Prism TV alone was $50. I explained the situation to the rep. He then told me that my bill will be $118 for this month and will go down to $55 the next month (something to do with rental fees which I was never told about). I decided to pay this amount in hopes it will all be resolved in the next month.

Next bill comes and it's $80. I called again and told them that my bill is supposed to be around $55 after tax; for both Prism and internet. I was told by the rep, "there is no way someone can quote me that price without entering tax and rental fees." Again I paid $80. This went on for months before I finally spoke to a manager. I told him I wanted the Prism TV cancelled. They told me that they were going to send me a box to return my Prism tv device and I wouldn't have to pay a cancellation fee. I waited two weeks and never received a box and on top of that they tried to make me pay a cancellation fee! Again I had to speak to another manager. At this point the issue was finally resolved. I was sent a box and was not charged the cancellation fee. This was October 2016.

January 2017. We moved to a new apartment in the same complex. I called Monday the 23rd to have the service switched. I was told it would take two business days and I wouldn't have to be home for the switch to happen. Wednesday the 25th comes; I get home to no internet. I managed to call and get ahold of someone right before 6 pm. He told me that the internet will not be completely transferred until 7 pm. He also told me that a technician didn't even have to come out to the complex; they were able to do the switch remotely from the CenturyLink location.

7 pm comes and I still have no internet. Thursday the 26th I call and am told, the technician indeed switched the internet remotely and that there must be an issue with my apartment. They are going to dispatch a tech to my home. They asked if 8:30-12:30 will be an acceptable time. I told them NO, no one will be home. We AGREED on another time window, 1:30-5:30 pm. My husband took PTO in order to be home in time for the technician. I gave them my husband's number as he is the one that would be home on PTO and I have no access to my phone because of where I work (I specifically told the rep this). Not only did they not call my husband's phone but the technician showed up at 9:30 am and left a voicemail on my phone!

I call Century link at 17:00 to see what the mishap was. There are no notes from the technician. They have no idea when he came by and didn't verify any information with me. By this time it's after 6 pm and they are closed. We managed to get ahold of a local CenturyLink supervisor (the conversation was not pretty). We agree to have the technician come out on Saturday the 28th to connect the internet.

Friday the 27th, my husband's receives a phone call from the supervisor. The tech actually did come out on Friday, just to a completely wrong address! Apparently, we were given a new account number without being told and on top of that, NO ONE REMOTELY SWITCHED OVER THE INTERNET ON THE 25TH LIKE THEY WERE SUPPOSED TO. The supervisor was adamant that this entire thing is CenturyLink's fault. This is completely unacceptable. I can't even begin to fathom how this company is still in business. Absolutely horrible service, no communication between departments and no one is ever held accountable. Something needs to be done. They have screwed over too many people.

Subliminal seduction and associated exorbitant charges - Just under a year ago (February 2016), I responded to a CenturyLink ad offering a special internet deal for around $29.95. By comparison to what everyone else I considered offered, that seemed to be the best price. So, I opted to go CenturyLink. Altogether, for setup charges, equipment, and service, my first bill was $84.98. I figured that was pretty reasonable. But the bill after that really surprised me: $ 52.89 + $3.50 for a service expediting service. Total: $56.39! I got on that immediately!

The CSR explained that I didn't get the $29.95 because I didn't buy into their auto-deduct option. I double-checked the service offering, and in hardly visible lettering it read something like "with auto-deduct" (that's not the word-for-word... just the meaning). I was really uncomfortable about this seeing that they actually camouflaged this fact by making the print as small and as inconspicuous as possible. But, it was too late. I signed a 1-year-term agreement with CenturyLink. I was literally locked into the deal because I went against my own advice about checking the fine print. So, late last December, taking stock of things, I noticed that my contract with CenturyLink would be fulfilled by the first week of February. That's when I gave the ultimatum.

I spoke with the CSR and demanded that, if I were to continue with CenturyLink, I'd really appreciate a dramatically reduced rate. I explained that I was a senior citizen and that this exorbitant $56.39 wouldn't cut it. The CSR pretended to understand the situation, and offered me a 50% discount "effective immediately." I believed him. Meanwhile, when I peeked at my bill about a week later to see if whether or not I was deceived, I noticed it was still "$56.39." I had to pay it. Just this morning (PST), I peeked at the bill for February: Considering the basic charge which was now $44.16 and the addition of $3.50, my bill for next month is $47.66, that was only a reduction of roughly 20% instead of the "50%" which the CSR claimed was made "effective immediately."

When I called about this huge discrepancy, the CSR on duty insisted that their records indicate that I "did" get the 50% discount (mysteriously appearing hidden fees). That was when I had had it. Show me how $47.66 is 50% of $56.69, and I'll show you a jackass that's secretly a "champion thoroughbred race horse!" Of course, CenturyLink will do well without me after the first week of February. But, please allow me to share with you the fact that, this corporation is evidently scandalous by nature.

I'm a senior, but they have no senior accommodation nor would they take that into consideration in their billing. I don't recommend for seniors or anyone else to have any part of it. If they have no respect or consideration for seniors, you can be sure, that they don't have any for anyone else. I find CenturyLink innately corrupt and predatory. Use them or stay with them at your own risk. One thing for sure, I guarantee that my next internet provider will be the right fit for me. CenturyLink definitely isn't it! P.S. I'm open to any relative class action against CenturyLink, especially in the state of Washington.

I have been a Customer of CenturyLink for over 10 years. I repeatedly have problems with their Internet service. It seems to be the only service can get since I live in a rural area. I have called them countless times and their repairmen have been out here countless times. But bill keeps going up and the service remains the worst service. How can a company this big have such terrible service. Is there any hope at all to have better Internet service in the country?

I was sold service by a door to door sales rep. We spent a long time evaluating the service against my current service and it seemed better. Later I reviewed it again and called my current service to confirm our rates. Turns out CenturyLink was not better. I called to cancel our service within 3 days of the sale (legally provided timeframe for cancellation) and all 7 customer service reps I had to talk with were complete JERKS. Even the "supervisor"... which it is not, only and 'escalation department' of other jerks. Never ever doing business with them. Ever. And I will tell EVERYONE I can to avoid them.

Services inexplicably dropped wife's business connections. She has been on with customer service for over four hours, spoken to five reps with no resolution. Furthermore, they fail to claim any responsibility for the fiasco. Do not use this company.

I read a lot of bad customer reviews about this company as well as every other Internet company. People are more likely to say bad things than good things... But anyways I've had some problems with Centurylink's billing. The modem and tech install was supposed to be free with the bonded upgrade but Ig the agent didn't waive the NRCS. When I noticed the charges on the bill I called and they issued the credit. Two bills later sure enough I had an adjustment credit of $159.99. Honestly this company has gotten a lot better. I have nothing bad to say.

I would leave 0 stars if I could! The left hand has no idea what the right hand's doing! Our problems started in October 2016. The September 2016 bill was paid on time and in full. We received the October bill, and I just noted the due date. Then we received a disconnect notice, which we threw away knowing the previous bill had been paid in full and on time. On October 31, 2016, our internet service was disconnected(1). I looked at my October bill. It showed a total amount due, new charges, and paid account in full in September. But, the numbers did not add up, and I immediately called customer service at about 2pm CST.

I was on the phone to CenturyLink for over 1 hours and endured 4 telephone transfers! About 3:05pm I was transferred to a manager, Jason. I was told that through no fault of ours, CenturyLink applied in error another customers payment to our account back in June, and that suddenly we owed $160.72 to CenturyLink. Seriously, the disconnect notice was the first notification we received of CenturyLink's error! The second notification to us of CenturyLink's error was our October bill requiring more due on the account than what the new charges showed, and yet showed the previous bill was paid in full.

I became frustrated with CenturyLink and the manner in which this situation was handled. I demanded that our internet service be restored immediately and no re-connection charges be added to our account. I requested Jason send to us a print out of our complete 2016 account record proving we owed the $160.72 to CenturyLink. Until such proof was received from CenturyLink, I told him I would pay the new charges, which was done immediately on November 1 (due on Nov. 4). We NEVER received the requested proof that $160.72, suddenly due on our account from June 2016, was owed to CenturyLink. The November bill arrived showing the payment received, the total due (which included the $160.72 added to our account by CenturyLink supposedly from June), and current charges. This bill was due on December 5.

On good faith, and fearing that our internet would be disconnected again, I paid the entire amount due $269.73 (including the $160.72 CenturyLink claimed we owed for June) via CenturyLink automated phone service on December 5, and received a confirmation number. We received our December bill showing the $269.73 payment as received. We received yet another disconnect notice. But again disregarded; as the previous bill was paid in full and on time! On December 28, our internet service was disconnected again(2)! Again, I called customer service at 1:30pm CST. This entire phone call to CenturyLink was 2 hours of my time, 4 telephone transfers, and 2 disconnects!

I finally ended up with the billing/financial department. I spoke to Norna and Rohria. Norna was confused as the full amount had been paid and transferred me to Rohria. She told me that the payment I made by phone ($269.73) was received by CenturyLink on December 6, but returned to my bank account on December 17 for unknown reasons. I was astonished that this even occurred! She reactivates the internet service as I requested without extra fees. I told her I needed to verify this claim with our bank first before paying the full amount. I then asked if there was someone I could talk to in person either in Des Moines, Iowa, or Omaha, Nebraska, as I was tired of this and wanted to clear up the matter once and for all. The phone call was disconnected again to my disbelief.

I called our bank, and per our bank account records, $269.73 was withdrawn from our account by CenturyLink on December 6. Nothing in that dollar amount or any other dollar amount was ever returned to our bank account by CenturyLink! Where is this money, another customers account? CenturyLink disconnected our internet service again on January 4, 2017(3)!!! Three strikes and CenturyLink is out! We've had it! On January 9, 2017, I called CenturyLink to formally disconnect our internet service, and I spoke to Natalie and received a confirmation number. On January 10, 2017, I paid to CenturyLink the December bill (due on Jan. 5) the new charges for that month. But, yet again CenturyLink is asking for more money than displayed on the bill: a zero previous balance, new charges of $109.01, yet the amount due is $285.15??? This leaves $176.14 supposedly due, which is unaccounted for!

CenturyLink customer service is lacking on so many levels! The finance and billing areas have no idea what they are doing either! At this point, we are not even confident we owed $160.72, which was applied in error by CenturyLink to our account back in June. CenturyLink failed to provide proof of such when we requested it. We were lied to by CenturyLink about $269.73 being returned to our bank account, when this never happened! We question where that money went? Now, our January bill indicates we owe an extra $176.14; for what? I have written a detailed complaint letter to CenturyLink Customer Service and mailed it to 3 separate locations hoping someone will pay attention, because clearly the 800 telephone number is useless!!!

Called the CenturyLink customer service line to order the bundle price of internet and TV of $64.95 is not true. DirecTV will not honor the bundle price and when set up CenturyLink set it on the computer not bundled and will not go back and fix it. They told me to take it up with DirecTV; after spending 2 hours and transferred 4 time they told me that CenturyLink would have to fix it. CenturyLink said they didn't do it and DirecTV would have to change it. After 4 hours on the phone no one would honor the bundle advertised price of $64.95. They both said they could not help me. Poor customer service, transferred many time, lied to the customer several times, changed their explanation, blamed the other company, etc. No one will honor what is being advertised. I can't even give them a one star rating.

Just check out the bundled advertised price at www.centurylinkspecialoffers.com. Clearly states bundled price of $64.95. It is not bundled. DirecTV bill is over $100 and then the internet bill is separate and right at $55. Before I agreed to have my service switched I repeated several time to the sales rep that this was bundled and that I would receive one bill and that the total bill would be around $69 a month for 12 months; I confirmed this on two occasions prior to installation and now that it is installed they have gone back and said that the person told me wrong; Century Link blames DirecTV and DirecTV blames Century Link. Customer gets no help or resolution. Just unbelievable.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

CenturyLink was founded 1968 and is now the third largest DSL provider in the United States. The company provides Internet, television, home security and home phone services. It also partners with Verizon to offer cell phone service. Customers receive discounts for subscribing to multiple CenturyLink services.

• International plans: CenturyLink offers reduced rates for calling select countries in Central and South America. They also have plans for other international call and plans specifically for calling Canada.
  • Extra features: Consumers can choose a plan with a wide variety of features, including call forwarding, caller ID, three-way calling, voicemail and more.
  • Refer-a-friend: CenturyLink’s refer-a-friend program rewards consumers when someone signs up for a new service using an existing customer’s referral link. If the new customer remains with the company for two months, both parties receive a gift card worth up to $75, depending on the type of service the new customer selects.
  • Online support: The Guidance Center section of CenturyLink’s website has tools to help customers with questions or problems. If customers can’t solve the problem on their own, they can easily make a service call request from the same page on the website.
  • Best for CenturyLink is best for consumers who want to bundle multiple services.

Compare Home Phone Service