formerly Qwest

3.8/5 (2443 ratings)

About CenturyLink

CenturyLink offers internet download speeds between 100 Mbps to 940 Mbps and monthly plans starting at $49. It provides bundling services for residential and small business customers and serves 36 states. Not all states in CenturyLink’s converge area will have fiber optic options. CenturyLink breaks its internet services down into two main categories: the DSL plan and the Fiber Gigabit plan.

Pros

• Great for gamers
  • Up to 940 Mbps
  • No contracts

Cons

• Gigabit not available in all areas
  • Not available in all states

Bottom Line

CenturyLink offers internet, home phone and TV programming services. Most internet options are best for basic internet speeds on a few devices, but the Fiber Gigabit plan is good for heavy internet users.

Top CenturyLink Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

We've had CenturyLink internet service in one of our Park City, UT condos for about 3 years now and we've been very happy with it. I'd highly recommend their internet service if y...

Verified

Dan from CenturyLink came out to our home today and he installed our new internet and cleaned up outside previous cables from other companies at no charge. He was thorough, profes...

CenturyLink internet plans

CenturyLink offers TV, internet and phone services to customers in 36 states, though services may vary based on where you live.

CenturyLink internet
If you are only looking for internet service for your home or business, CenturyLink has two options. The CenturyLink Internet with Price for Life option makes it easy to browse the internet, stream videos, send emails and connect multiple users and devices. There are no contracts or price hikes.

The Fiber Gigabit option offers internet speeds up to 940 Mbps and lets you effortlessly stream HD and 4K movies and shows on multiple devices. Each device experiences symmetrical speeds and unlimited data.

You can select the internet speeds you need and browse plans based on what is important to you: streaming movies, listening to music, gaming or uploading videos.

CenturyLink TV
If you are looking for an alternative to cable TV, CenturyLink partners with leading satellite providers to offer an extensive selection of TV channels and programming options. The streaming TV services do not require contracts and can be customized to your TV watching needs. CenturyLink offers makes it easy to access services and premium channels such as:
  • YouTubeTV
  • FuboTV
  • Sling
  • Starz
  • ESPN Plus
  • Fox Nation
  • Disney Plus
  • Hulu

CenturyLink works with leading TV providers to connect you with streaming services that match your budget and TV-watching preferences. Customers can sign up for CenturyLink and start a free trial through the TV provider.

Each provider offers different channel lineup options, streaming options and recording services. Many offer no-contract plans with no installation requirements. Once you’ve signed up with the provider, you can download the company’s app and start steaming through CenturyLink internet right away.

CenturyLink home phone
CenturyLink’s home phone plans offer long-distance options and popular calling features like call waiting, voicemail, three-way calling, call forwarding and caller ID. The basic plan covers local calls, and the unlimited plan includes all of the features of basic plus local and long-distance calls. CenturyLink also offers international calling plans.
CenturyLink bundles
If you need internet, phone or TV packages for your home or business, CenturyLink offers bundle deals to help you combine services and save money. You can bundle two or three service options without committing to a long-term contract. Bundle options and prices vary by location.

CenturyLink internet prices

Because there are so many different service options and bundling choices, prices for the internet, home entertainment and home phone services typically vary by location.

Internet prices
Typical prices for CenturyLink internet services are:
  • CenturyLink Internet with Price for Life: $49 a month for all speeds up to 100 Mbps
  • Fiber Gigabit: $65 a month for speeds up to 940 Mbps
TV prices
CenturyLink doesn’t offer streaming channels, but it connects customers with leading TV providers that do. For this reason, prices and packages vary, but the average TV streaming service offers more than 60 channels and costs anywhere between $50 to $75 a month. DirecTV, DISH and AT&T TV are $59.99 a month for 24 months.
Home phone prices
Home phone service with unlimited nationwide calling through CenturyLink is typically around $60 a month.
Bundle prices
Prices and available for CenturyLink’s bundles vary by location, but sample prices for plans are:
  • Home phone and internet: $85 a month
  • DirecTV + internet + home phone: $145 a month

Some other fees that consumers should be aware include a broadcast fee of $2.49 per month and a sports fee of $2.49 per month

CenturyLink FAQ

Is CenturyLink a good internet provider?
Yes. CenturyLink offers fast internet speeds and the ability to choose internet programs to meet your streaming needs and budget.
Is CenturyLink DSL or cable?
CenturyLink offers DSL and fiber internet service.
What does CenturyLink do?
CenturyLink offers internet, home phone and TV programming services for residents in 36 states.
What is CenturyLink Prism?
Prism is CenturyLink’s premium HD TV programming service. Customers have access to premium channels like HBO, Cinemax, Showtime and Starz. The most basic Prism package starts at $44 a month.
Can I use my own modem with CenturyLink?
Yes. If your modem works with CenturyLink technology, you can use your own modem.
Is CenturyLink Fiber good?
Yes. CenturyLink Fiber offers fast internet speeds that make it easy for multiple devices to stay connected.

CenturyLink Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CenturyLink?

Original review: Dec. 25, 2020

I've had service for about 3 months. The service is reliable and the price is better than Xfinity. Their phone reps have always been very polite and respectful. It would make me a great, fair offer and I'd be off the phone in less than a minute.

CenturyLink response

Hello Loriann we're glad that your experience with us has been going well so far. However if that changes please let us know and reach out to us here for help, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2020

They are my phone company. They have gotten better over time and are doing very well with the Bandwidth, Reasonable rates for someone on a fixed income, don't do cable, too expensive and the local Mediacom office has an old grouch for our contact and they are expensive, phones do not work when the power goes out. Centurylink is the best buy for the money under 70.00 for internet & phone.

CenturyLink response

Hello Deann while we're glad to see you've been satisfied with your service so far, if that changes, please let us know by reaching out to us here and we'll be happy to help.

Get buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2020

Wish it was faster, more dependable. With so many of us now needing to rely on internet, providers may not feel the need to be Super Good. To date it fulfills our needs. Previous provider was worse. Perhaps the area I now live in is making it harder for internet providers to be Greater.

CenturyLink response

Hello we are sorry to see that this is your experience with us, and that you have difficulties with the speeds available for your home. If you have any questions or concerns, and require assistance, please reach out to us here privately and we'll be glad to help. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

Really have liked Century Link since I first began service with them in 2017. The speed is good for me and service issues have been all but nonexistent, with only two outages in my time with them. I did upgrade once and did a change of address on my service once and it was all very easy. They do not do any high pressure contacting to try to get me to upgrade, that I like. Contact with customer support has always been good and they have been friendly. Price is comfortable for my budget.

CenturyLink response

Hello Gerry, thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback; if your experience is negative at any point, and you need assistance, please reach out to us here for help.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2020

I receive High speed internet of 40Mbps since 2017 and have not had to contact the company because of a loss of speed. I check the speed frequently and is always at or above the ordered speed. The only problem I have had with Century Link was due to a lightning strike nearby that fried a component in the Telephone box on the outside of the house.

CenturyLink response

Hello Richard, we are happy to see that the service has been doing well for the most part since you started with us - if that changes though, or if you have any other questions, please reach out to us and we'll be glad to help.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: July 19, 2021

I was told that my internet service could be upgraded from 50 to 100 mbs. When the tech arrived at my home, he searched the neighborhood and then told me there were no available "pairs" and that I should call in a month or two and request a tech to come again. Today I received an email informing me that I needed to call now (number provided) or there would be no upgrade. I spent one hour and 14 minutes on hold and then was told to call back in a month or two. I had been transferred two time, each time the person telling me that I needed to call the very number I had called.

Hello,

I apologize for the issues you are are experiencing with upgrading your service. If there is anything I can help you with, please reach out to me here via private message, or at any of the following contact options:

Contact Us - www.centurylink.com/home/help/contact.htm

We look forward to hearing from you.

Sabrina

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: July 14, 2021

We've had CenturyLink for many yrs with many issues with service. In the past getting a repair tech to come to house was good but now getting a house call is ridiculous. I called last week about our speed fluctuating and losing signal. Talked/chatted with 6 people trying to get help. All tried to "fix" the problem from behind a desk, and use a call back # is a joke. Did have one tech call back 2 did not one hung up. What a waste of my time! The last one I chatted with did lower my bill but no service was set up. That was Fri. Monday rolls around router is now solid red lights called tech support. This is the one that hangs up, then use the chat option and finally got Rose. She was wonderful. Got us a service call for Fri. Spoke with neighbors today. Found out they have the internet out and appointment for Thursday. Hope CenturyLink fires the idiots prior to Rose.

Good morning,

I apologize for the issues you are having with the internet and when trying to reach tech support to resolve the issue. If there is anything I can help you with, please reach out to me here via private message, or at any of the following contact options:

Contact Us - www.centurylink.com/home/help/contact.htm

We look forward to hearing from you.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: July 7, 2021

There are no other telephone carriers in this place. If not I would have changed already. I have been trying for for months to get a technician and they either keep hanging up on me or leave me on hold for hours and then hang up.

Good morning, Loretta,

I apologize for any issues you have encountered when trying to get a technician scheduled. I would be happy to review your account. If you still need my help, please reach out to us here, via a private response or at any of the following contact options:

Contact Us - www.centurylink.com/home/help/contact.html

Original review: July 6, 2021

Yes every time I contacted you guys by chat you guys said I have service in my area, so I signed up thinking I am getting service. Instead I found out you guys are big fat liars, I am pissed I wasted 4 or more days waiting for services that never was installed because you lied to me. My credit was pulled which I wouldn't have my credit pulled if you told me the truth, I demand $500.00 gift card for the issues and for you guys lying to me which btw is false advertising when every time I got told you did have service at my house. Supervisor Ivan is rude and don't care if this isn't taken care of. I will write reviews everywhere telling people not to trust you.

Good morning, Daniel,

I am sorry for the issue you encountered with us when trying to establish service and for any inconvenience this has caused if we could not do the install. If there is anything I can help you with, please send me a private response.

Original review: July 6, 2021

Cancelled my service and tried to get a return label to return equipment. Had to talk with a couple of different representatives. I was told to print a label off their website. I told the the person that my printer is broken and they need to send me a return label. After numerous attempts by the rep to get me to print a label he finally decided to send one. He was trying to send it to my old address even after I told him I had moved which is recorded because I got my final bill. I had to repeat my new address 5 different times and at least 4 times why I was giving him the information for a return label. Now I will wait for 7 to 10 days to see if I even get a return label. Honestly I am glad I am done with Centurylink. They were the only provider at the time when I moved into my house.

Hello Ted,

I'm sorry that you have not received a return label yet. If you still need my help, please reach out to us here, via a private response or at any of the following contact options:

Contact Us - www.centurylink.com/home/help/contact.html