1.18/5

formerly Qwest

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

4402 CenturyLink Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I ordered CenturyLink service, then cancelled the installation appointment because I didn't realize my wife got a self install option from a different provider. The rep kept me on the phone for 19 minutes trying to keep me from canceling, I understand that's their "job" but I already had another service. Now 3 weeks later, I am still getting bills, they sent a modem, and every time I call each rep promises to cancel the service for good. 6 phone calls in and each call start with the rep trying to "save the account" - an account that service was never started. So now 2 times a week I am following up again to stop an account that never started. CenturyLink will never get my business because I am not a customer and they have made it unusually difficult to stop an account that never started. I wish there were an option to give NO stars.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Since we started service with Century Link we have had nothing but problems, each rep told us something different, then they said we would be waived a month of internet because we couldn't get the right answers or bills. The first tech that showed was rude, didn't try to help us, just looked around the house and left. Then we were told after we set up for 20 MPS that we could only have 8 when the SECOND tech shows up. We were on the phone for hours at a time, multiple times in two weeks and nothing was changing. We just kept getting told different things. We were going to buy a new home and stuck with them while we were staying somewhere else.

Finally after EVERYTHING kept getting screwed up I called them and tried to cancel. They said no problem, 'canceled' our account and that was it. I waited for a new bill. Got the same expenses that we had before and we didn't even have internet long enough to be charged for. Then we moved, I went ahead and said, I would give them another chance. Called again, got told that the order of cancelation wasn't even in the system. Then when the tech arrived at our new home we were told that it was being canceled and that he had to call to get service. He was on the phone for a while and finally they hooked everything up just for us to call again because he didn't check to see if we had phone jacks. So then we go to order a new phone jack which wouldn't be for at least two weeks. Then I called elsewhere, got a better deal, had them come out and set everything up within two days and we had internet.

I called century link to cancel everything including phone jack installation, and they gave me a hard time and finally set the order to cancel. I sent my modem back, and now they say we owe them 200 dollars. Because of internet service we barely received, and because they said we got the phone jack. We never had anyone out to install that. We canceled service. I am currently waiting for them to fix this issue through chat, because we are not paying 200 dollars for service we have not or have barely received. We will not be referring anyone to this horrible company and I am extremely frustrated because now that will hit my credit and my credit is great right now. I am STILL waiting to speak to someone who will hopefully fix this. If not I have to go to their higher ups.

Get expert buying tips about Internet Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Hey CenturyLink, stop replying with apologies and "I understand" and actually fix the CAUSE of these problems. Responsiveness when called out on a public forum is great but it does NOT make up for an ongoing crappy approach to satisfying customers. Quite a few companies that major on satisfying stockholders first and customers second and no longer in business. Wake up and smell the coffee. We hate your company. Yes, it has become that emotional. For years I have had no choice but CenturyLink. Over and over I have been hit with outages, lower than expected speeds, and poor service. Lines have been oversold in this area so that the bandwidth cannot support the usage.

Service reps tell me things I know are not true. They know less about the technical aspects of the service in my area than I do. Your contracted cable installation monkeys cut my cable while installing the neighbor's cable. Then it takes 5 days to get a tech out. I work from home and this is totally unacceptable. I spent a day at a free internet restaurant sitting on a hard bench and then could not sleep for two nights because of my back. Do you care? Don't say that you do if you are not willing to actually change the ratings that this site is getting from an average of ONE star to at least 4 stars. That won't happen by doing more of the same with more enthusiasm. What you are currently doing is NOT working. This is a problem that starts at the very top. Management and company officers are 100% responsible for this travesty of a company.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I used CenturyLink for internet and phone usage for many years. I got tired of paying high prices for slow internet, so I cancelled my services. Now four months after my disconnection date I receive a notice that I have been sent to a collection agency. I called Centurylink and they acknowledge that my account balance is zero. They actually had to send me a refund check to get me to a zero balance. They say they have sent a lot of customers with a zero balance to collection. They would not send me anything to show they were going to remove this from collections. I have contacted the attorney general's office in Missouri. Please do the same if Centurylink is inappropriately sending you to collections.

CenturyLink response

Hello Lawrence, we apologize that a zeroed out account had been sent to collections, and that you weren't properly helped to get the issue resolved. We'd like to look into this for you, and answer any questions you may have - just reach out to us here and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

We bought a house in the country and CenturyLink was the only provider for internet service. On October 2, 2018 we ordered service to be installed on October 16... And so it begins. At 11 pm the night before I get email saying that can't provide service for the next day. My fiance took the day off and then I see email and contact CL. We were told CL engineering department did not have ability to provide service due to their server being at max capacity and they needed to order a new card. So Oct 16 was pushed back to November (possibly?). November comes and goes and another date of December 17, 2018 is given to us. Hang on now. This gets good...

I contact customer service and ask what happened to our service and I was bounced around CL's phone bingo and FINALLY get someone in engineering who if fact states they are still working on our link and per their engineering department January 11, 2019 is looking good to have it up and running. Looking down at the hair I pulled out I figure January 11th I can look for a toupee when I get internet. HOLD ON!!! January 11th comes and goes and no tech and no service. Again I call the semi trained monkeys handling the CL phone system and around and around we go on the phone transfer wheel of fortune. Okay get ready for this... You ready??? We are told we have had service since October and now I understand why we have received bills for service (which we have never had) and a total of 3 modems sent to us and also billed.

Now launching due to losing my mind...I'm transferred to tech support who tell me... "your service doesn't seem to be working???" And back to engineering who then state the link is still not built. Recovering from a concussion due to smashing my head into a wall I gain enough sanity to call billing to find out why I'm being charge for this comedy of errors. Okay people sit down for this roller coaster of slow kids... I can't cancel service because I owe from October...and the rep stated "if I believed everyone who called in and said they never used our service CL wouldn't be in business!!" Oh joy, oh joy...

I demand to talk to a manager and 42 minutes of phone queue hell (go Yanni and his Zamfir flute) I get another customer rep who looks at my account(s) and states which one was I calling about? So looking into it further I have 3 open accounts with CL...and the best part is...NONE OF THEM WORK!!! BWHAHAHHA :) So kiddies...if you have nothing better in life than to set on a phone and just feel like someone is driving a 10 inch spike through your head CenturyLink is for you. I need a beer! :(

CenturyLink response

Hello Rusty- this sounds like a very complex and frustrating situation, and could understand why you'd be upset. We'd like to look into this for you, and answer any questions you may have - just let us know if you'd like our help by responding to us here. We look forward to hearing from you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CenturyLink?

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I've had CenturyLink for internet service for over 7 years. I pay over $90 a month for 10mbps and have never received even close to those speeds. When you call tech support you get transferred to a foreign country. And can never get a problem resolved nor are they willing to do a refund on your bill. As soon as Verizon has its tower up we will be switching services. I would highly recommend saving yourself a painful experience and going with any other provider for your services.

CenturyLink response

Hello Dan, we apologize that you're not receiving the service you are paying for - we would be glad to investigate your service and billing issues, and answer any questions you may have. Please let us know if you'd like our assistance by responding to us here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I placed my order to have CenturyLink come out to provide internet to my new home. A tech was scheduled to come on Jan 3. On Jan 2 a tech shows up and attaches a box to the house. Tells my wife since the house has not had service before a line would need to be ran. That was the last thing I have heard from this company beside the 4 order confirmations I have received via the mail. I have reached out via the chat function which told me to call engineering. I have talked to engineering twice now and they have talked circles without being able to tell me when someone will be coming out to run a line to house. All they can say is it was contracted out and it should have been done by now. This company has ignored the request to provide service except when it comes to sending me how much money I owe them that has been right on time.

CenturyLink response

Hello Mitch we apologize that your service has not yet been installed, and that you haven't been properly assisted with getting information on the line drop. We'd be glad to look into this for you, and answer any questions you may have about your account. Please reach out to us here privately if you would like our assistance, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

This is the worst company for internet service ever. Speeds are never what you pay for. The infrastructure hasn't been upgraded for so long that it keeps breaking down. I lost internet service overnight and called immediately in the morning to report the outage. I was talking to someone who could barely speak English in who knows what country. They don't know anything about what they are doing...just reading from a script they have been given. An hour after being on the phone they decided that I did not have any internet signal coming in.

That is exactly what I reported an hour earlier when I first started talking to them. Then they inform me that the soonest they can have a service tech out to fix the problem is in 4 days! This is absolutely unacceptable! I work from home and have no internet for at least 4 days. You would think that they would send someone out to fix the problem immediately. This is a repair not some routine install that they can take their time on.

CenturyLink response

Hello Douglas, we understand the frustration of having to wait for a tech to make it to your home for a service repair when the next available is a couple days away. If you have any other questions or concerns about your account or service, then please respond to us here and we'll be glad to help. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I have been a customer since before US West, and I have observed the incremental degradation of the landline quality and customer service response ongoing. I personally have experienced poor landline quality since before 2008. Almost without fail, one or both of my lines go down during moisture related events. I actually had conversations with 2 field engineer types back in 2008 (Jim ** and Andy **) that claimed they were getting ready to put in a new 100 pair cable in the neighborhood to stop the chronic weather-related problems. I was told they were very close to doing that except for some tree trimming and scheduling. Then no one would return any of my calls and the lines were never replaced.

Oh recently they installed a fiber line down the same path as the copper cable that was supposed to be replaced. So, I've been putting up with these substandard lines and paying premium prices for a long time. I haven't called for service on every problem since usually after a couple days the trouble drys and clears. Case in point 1/11/2019, Denver Snow event - Line 1 degrades, DSL intermittent, Line 2 no dial tone only a hum. Called my local robot and the soonest response was 4 days out. Not acceptable!

Somehow I was able to get a call for the next day. I told the ticket writer to be sure the tech ticket was for both lines and the DSL. He arrived to repair only line 1 - he needed to get a new pair from the CO to resolve - however there were no CO techs on the Saturday to help field techs get new pairs. Unbelievable. The service call is rescheduled and no fix was to be had. As of 1/14/19 the conditions are sunny/drier and the trouble is gone, I'll be canceling the call for 1/15/19.

What a royal waste of my time and the techs. I told the tech if they had replaced that cable as they still should, he likely wouldn't be here to fix anything. The people who run this company should be subjected to the company and it's service policy just as I am. Then services would go in a better direction, guaranteed!

CenturyLink response

Hello Jerry we apologize that your service cuts out, and that your account hasn't been properly handled with repair calls. We'd be happy to look into your line issues for you, and answer any questions or concerns you may have. Please just reach out to us privately to let us know you'd like our assistance, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I recently sold my company and wanted to switch the main phone number to the new owner, which took several phone calls and is still not completed. BTW, if you get Oche (pronounced O'Shea), good luck. Try for Andrea or Dominque, who are as pleasant as Oche is unpleasant.

CenturyLink response

Hello Jay, we apologize that you weren't properly helped in getting your account's responsibility switched over. We could understand how that'd be frustrating, and would like to look into this for you. Please reach out to us here if you would like our assistance, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

Called CenturyLink again. Internet is sporadic and when it is working very slow. Called CenturyLink and soonest... the soonest they can have a technician is Wednesday. My daughters had a similar issue in Fort Collins which just finally got fixed.

CenturyLink response

Hello Ron, I apologize that you're currently on a wait list to get your service repaired for your area's office. We'd like to answer any other questions or address any other concerns you may have, just let us know if you'd like our help by reaching out here. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I am over visiting my parents in Astoria and am pretty tech savvy. According to CenturyLink they claim speeds up to 100 Mbps but am averaging over 2 days a 4.2 Mbps download speed. I am currently with Frontier Communication at home and on my slow days it averages above 6Mbps and I am paying less than half for much better, more reliable and faster service than I have ever gotten in the CenturyLink connection speed. Also Frontier has local offices which I can call if there is a problem. There is nothing like having a local contact that knows the area, local outages and can send someone out usually within 1 day if there is a problem.

CenturyLink response

Hello Owen - we apologize that your parents aren't getting the speeds they're paying for, we can understand how that'd be frustrating. We'd be glad to look into this for you, and answer any questions you may have. Please just let us know if you'd like our assistance by reaching out to us here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I've been a CenturyLink Customer for many many years, since before it was renamed as CenturyLink. However they have tested my patience once too many times. I've wasted countless hours and days over the past many months trying to repair my phone service and adjust my bill accordingly (I've also had an excruciating months-long experience trying to get my internet repaired, but that's the topic of another Kafka-esque novel). If you enjoy wasting your life away on hold and a dizzying number of call transfers by customer service people who don't know anything and don't care one bit about keeping you as a customer then by all means CenturyLink is the company for you.

CenturyLink response

Hello Adriana - we apologize that you're having issues getting your line concerns resolved, and that you haven't been helped properly yet. We'd like to investigate this for you, and answer any questions you may have about your service. Please reach out to us here to let us know if you'd like our help, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

We had an outage on December 31st that involved other people in this area. When it was fixed, it was fine for 5 days. For the last 4 days it drops off constantly, and the only way to get the net back, even for a few minutes, is to reboot the modem. I have had to do this 22 times today alone. I have spent hours on the phone with these people, and they all tell me it's working fine. They tell me the problem is with my modem. They tell me all manner of things, none of which are apparently true. I have had this modem checked out with D-Link and it is working just fine. The problem is a server-side issue and I wish SOMEBODY could understand that!

CenturyLink response

Hello Kate we can understand the frustration that stems from not receiving the service you are paying for; we apologize that you haven't been properly helped, but we would like to look into this for you in order to get the issue resolved. Please let us know if you'd like our help by responding here, and we'd look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

CenturyLink installed fiber optic to our location in April. They couldn't get their act together to transfer the phone lines until 12/4. Then they failed to port over our vital 800 #s which the old carrier deactivated on 12/31. Down for 9 days now. Another couple of weeks and we'll be out of business. Incompetent idiots.

CenturyLink response

Hello Thomas we apologize that the number was not correctly ported, and that you are still without the necessary services for your business. We'd like to investigate this for you, and answer any questions you may have. Just reach out to us here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Updated on 01/17/2019: I have been trying to get a CenturyLink rep on the line for days. I canceled my service the first week in Jan and I just got a bill for the upcoming billing cycle. I tried the chat option and was told I needed to call the retention dept. The 800 number he gave me got the same reaction as the other four numbers I called. These numbers are from the bill they sent me and online info by CenturyLink. The phone is answered by a computer, of course, and I am immediately asked if I wanted to reconnect my services with CenturyLink and when I answer no the computer disconnects my call. I have called all the phone numbers I can find for CenturyLink and the same thing happens.

So basically CenturyLink will not take my calls unless I reconnect service with them. I guess I should call from someone else’s phone as that way they won’t recognize my phone number. And please CenturyLink don’t respond to this with one of your fake emails pretending you want to help me with this issue. I seriously doubt you have ever helped anyone.

Original Review: I have had internet service for 2 weeks now and the internet has been going down at least 10 times a day. Many calls to tech service with the issue still unresolved. The service guy they sent out to check the modem did a really poor job. He tested the modem less than 10 seconds and said everything was fine. I asked him to check the outside box as there were a bunch of wires hanging loose but he said that had nothing to do with it??? He was lazy and just didn’t want to go outside in the rain. The tech support people have run out of options and I can’t get the payment back I sent them for the month of Jan. Horrible internet provider. Don’t waste your money on CenturyLink as you will have constant issues with their service.

CenturyLink response

Hello Dale - we apologize that your service has not been working, and that you weren't properly helped by our tech, or by our customer service representatives over the phone with getting your billing and service resolved. We'd like to look into this for you, and answer your questions - just let us know if you'd like our help by reaching out to us here. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I am not exaggerating when I state that this company has hands-down the worst customer service I have ever experienced at any business. I ordered home phone for my dad, who lives in a sparsely populated rural area, and therefore has an unreliable cell phone signal. I ordered the installation of two phone jacks. I was charged for both, but the tech did not install the second one at all. The phone reception is poor, and I have been trying to get a service appointment scheduled for nearly two weeks. When I call customer service, I wait on hold for 15 minutes at a time, only to be told that I must be transferred to a different department again and again and AGAIN.

Today, I was bounced around between customer service and technical support no less than SIX times on a single call, for a total one hour - the equivalent of my entire lunch break at work. The service here is atrocious, but because this company is the only game in town, they seem to take advantage of that fact by failing to provide a quality product and competent customer care. At this point, I am preparing to cancel the service and attempt to locate a cell phone that will work for my dad. If you have any other options in your area, please do NOT choose this company.

CenturyLink response

Hello S, we apologize that your father did not receive the service order that you paid for, and that you haven't been properly assisted getting this issue resolved. We'd be glad to look into this for you, and answer any questions you may have. Just let us know if you'd like our help by responding here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

The manager there, I believe his name is Clay, consistently overbooks. I've had 4 "technicians" or guys with tools show up that couldn't complete a new install. Then I was told that I had to pay $400 to have a drop placed. That was at the end of November 2018. Since then I was told that the drop was installed and my service would be hooked up on December 18th, 2018. I received a call confirming the date, it was confirmed and I took the day off. No one showed up. My next install date is for tomorrow Jan. 8th 2019. They say they are coming, however the drop still hasn't been installed therefore they still can't install the internet in my house. So long story short, I've missed 4 days of work and I'm out $400. Now I don't know much about running a McDonald's but I know when the service is bad and the same holds true for CenturyLink.

CenturyLink response

Hello Brandon, we apologize that your service has not yet been installed, and that you continue to receive subpar service and information. We could understand how this would be pretty frustrating; we'd like to investigate it for you and answer any questions you may have. Just reach out to us here and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

Ever since the big CenturyLink outage over Christmas, 2018, my DSL connection is CONSTANTLY FLAKING OUT every few minutes. PLEASE FIX THIS ANNOYANCE. I can't stream anything because of it. Browsing the web is painful because I keep losing the connection.

CenturyLink response

Hello James - we understand the importance of a stable internet connection nowadays, and the frustration that stems from not getting the service you're paying for. We'd be glad to look into this for you, and answer any questions you may have - just reach out to us here, and we'll take it from there.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I am humiliated that I didn’t do my research on CenturyLink prior to installation. I have spent an obscene amount of time trying to speak with ANYONE who knows what they are doing!! Transfer, after transfer... EVERY TIME! My first bill... and I desperately want to cancel, and nobody can get me to the right person. It started at install... There is a cable (100 ft too long) going across my neighbor's yard, my fence and backyard. I have dogs and I am constantly watching them to make sure they don’t chew it up. Why would you leave an install that affects the customer AND their neighbor??? They said It could be months until they are back... Well if I ever get to the department that handles cancellation, I will solve the problem myself. Why would I pay $60 for that type of mess!?!? I have every call time and person written down. That is what is what I am mailing in instead of money...

CenturyLink response

Hello Riann - this seems like a frustrating circumstance, and apologize that you haven't been helped with getting the line moved, or your questions answered in regards to your billing. We'd be glad to assist with these concerns, and answer any other questions you may have. Just reach out to us here, and we'll take it from there.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I have been a CenturyLink customer for over 20 Years. We have internet service " Price for Life", at $39.00 per month, Speed up to 12 Mbps. The "Price for life," is somewhat misleading and a marketing ploy. What they should actually state is "Price for Life," until we make you upgrade your service. I keep seeing on my bill that 80 Mbps is available, but of course if I were to go with this CenturyLink would say your price for life at $39.00 is no longer valid. So it is a classic bait and switch.

However if I want to dig my heels in and keep speeds up to 12 Mbps, then that is no easy feat. CenturyLink keeps sending us these crappy modems "The C1000 series." These are I presume rebuilt modems which are really awful. They deteriorate quickly until such point between six months to a year - where they crap out completely. I then call CenturyLink and they send me another crappy C1000 modem. Of course they do have better modems available, but wait-yes there is a catch - You have to upgrade your service and of course lose your price for life. My latest Modem is again on life support and frustrated beyond belief I actually went to Best Buy to but a decent Modem instead.

The tech support person with whom I dealt with was a nice person, but could not help grinning when I told him my predicament and what I was looking for. He said that Best Buy do not sell compatible modems any more and the only option that he knew, was for me to contact Centurylink. So I have a question for Centurylink. Will they honor my price for life to be exactly that and get me the 80 Mbps? Will Centurylink stop playing games and finally give me a Modem that works properly and will not crap out in 6-12 months?

CenturyLink response

Hello John, we could understand why this would be frustrating, and apologize that your service issues haven't been properly resolved. We'd be glad to investigate this for you, and answer any question you may have - please just reach out to us here. We look forward to hearing from you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I signed up November 2017 for their price for life internet service. Someone set me up with a 2nd account, then they deleted the wrong account and now deny I had the Price For Life. Customer service? They have NONE. I was put on hold forever every time I called... Chats took forever to respond, calling in more than once only to end up getting so upset that I was YELLING on the phone. (Not like me at all) I have even been told by the complaint department, "Nope you didn't have it." We are sticking with our decision that I am wrong. What? I even sent a letter saying ok. All my calls & phone chats are gone or what? Why not forgive the excess charges fees for the last few months & give the Price for Life. It seems like an easy fix for me and I would be happy with that.

I paid the $65.00 per month from the beginning of the promotion, they should honor. Why would I continue for a year to pay the same amount? It's not my fault they turned off the wrong number for my internet. I feel like they are taking advantage of the situation in that no one else offers the same internet connection speeds that they do in my area. Corner on the market? Unethical. I have NEVER EVER been treated so bad by any company.

CenturyLink response

Hello Susan, we apologize that your account was handled thus, and that you haven't been properly helped to reach a solution with the billing. We'd like to investigate this for you, and answer any other questions you may have. Just let us know if you'd like our help by responding here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I DO NOT RECOMMEND CENTURYLINK. I will never ever use CenturyLink. They have the worst customer service. My stepfather, who owned a CenturyLink account, recently passed away. He did not have a power of attorney or anything similar so we can access his account. We called CenturyLink AND went to a store to return their modem. We kept on asking how we can close the account since we do not have a power of attorney. They said at the store where we returned the modem to “just let it go, it will stop”. Of course, it did not stop, the bills kept on coming so I called again.

My stepdad passed away on February and I took care of the account as soon as he passed out; disconnected and returned modem. However, even if the account has been closed from when he passed, they still charged us $40+ for who knows what. I paid for it because I just wanted to give up dealing with them. Of course, they found another way to charge us—charging us on an “unreturned modem”. I asked to talk to a supervisor/manager when I called the customer service and I was on hold for more than 10 mins just to talk to them. In the end, I was not even connected to a supervisor/manager, just another representative, whom I have to explain the situation again. I was given the finance department’s number to call. Problem’s not fixed. There should be an option to not give any stars. They do not deserve one. I DO NOT RECOMMEND CENTURYLINK.

CenturyLink response

Hello Alyssa- we could understand how this would be frustrating, and would like to offer our assistance if you still have any further questions or concerns. Just let us know if you'd like our help by reaching out here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

If I could give less than one star, I would. I had problems with my internet. This frustrates me because I know that every time I call them I will be frustrated for at least 1 to 2 hours just trying to get a simple problem resolved. They sent me a new modem but arrived late. Due to arrival, I had to leave for my winter home before even opening up the new modem. I called about 6 times trying to get to support. Each time, going through their menu tree (IVR), I would get through then the phone would disconnect almost like they were pushing wrong buttons or deliberately hanging up. I was so frustrated and had no more time to waste at that moment. I am now at my winter home and the modem is at the other location, 1,000 miles away.

I called and got through to Ron, ID ** (in another country). He pulled up my account but said that I needed to speak with customer support so, on hold, I go again for another 25 minutes. I am greeted by Hunter, ID **, he was very nice and said he understands my problem but would need to speak with finance. Thinking Hunter would come back, he instead transferred me... On hold I go again for 37 minutes. Chrisann ID ** now comes on and each time I have to start over. This time, however, Chrisann can't even pull up my account, I have to spell my words for her. She is obviously in another country and not able to understand me. I haven't even got to my problem with her and she put me on hold... I have now been on hold waiting for Chrisann to come back for 46 minutes and still counting.

I have now been on hold trying to resolve a very simple problem for more than two hours. I am afraid to hang up, they have me trapped. I am calling in again from my wife's cell phone while on hold for Chrisann. They have not answered yet and it has been now over two and a half hours... While I am typing a Joyce from billing, ID **, again very strong accent and said she understands my problem and would make notes. She then said that they need to get my modem back in 30 days. I explained that was my problem, it is 1,000 miles away and had they not disconnected on me 6 times when I was with the modem it would have been taken care of, all she would say is she will make notes. To anyone with options, choose anyone other than CenturyLink or you will age faster with grief. Not worth it.

CenturyLink response

Hello Paul - we can understand the frustration of having to hold for an extended period of time, and not getting a one-call resolution. We'd be happy to help, and answer your questions about your service and account. Just let us know if you'd like our help by reaching out to us here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Mother deceased - 2 months before company sent (by mail-no email ability) forms to switch phone into my name so I could pay bill for a summer house. Another 3 days to cancel one line (there were 2) and put on vacation rate. All had to be done on phone as they have an almost non-existent internet capability. Constantly disconnected so it always took about 3 calls to get someone stable. Calls seem to be handled by satellite people - I'm thinking from their homes. Would not use this company if you don't have to do so.

CenturyLink response

Hello Joan- we are sorry for your loss, and that you weren't properly assisted during an already trying time. We'd be happy to look into this for you, and answer any questions you may have should you still need the help. Please just respond to us here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

If you like paying for "high speed internet" that is very subpar this is the place for you. If not I'd suggest going elsewhere. I pay for 12mbps service that slows or goes out when the weather gets slightly ugly out. Wifi slows or goes out if more than one device is running at the same time. They claim they have 20mbps plus speeds. When I tried to upgrade to 20mbps I was informed it was impossible even though 20mbps is available in my area they just couldn't provide it. Turns out that in most of the country they simply can't provide any speed above 12mbps because their infrastructure is too old.

They are trying to provide a 21st century technology using 19th century technology i.e. phone cables. I was also told I was lucky to get 12mbps because there has to be 2 phone lines available at the main box just to get that service to the customer. If there is only one line available you'll be lucky to even get 7mbps speed. Don't let them sucker you in. 20mbps plus speeds may be "available" but not actually usable.

CenturyLink response

Hello Red, we apologize that the desired speed hasn't been installed for your home as quoted - we can understand how that would be frustrating. We'd like to look into this for you, and answer any other questions you may have about your account or service. Please just reach out to us here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

I have internet with CenturyLink. I want to upgrade higher speed. They messed up the line, internet got cut off not able to do troubleshooting over the phone. I have no internet since December 24. Customer service schedule to repair December 29. No one come. I call back they reschedule December 31. I waited all day. No one come. Call tech support saying they have no dispatch. Call customer service, every time I called they transferred me around to repair department. Call repair they said oh no that's customer service. Called customer service they said oh no that is repair department. Back and forth for couples to three hours every day. Now they scheduled to January 2. And the repair departments said was not sure who will be assigned. That means no guarantee a tech will come on Jan 2. I can't stay home from work wait all day for no show. Horrible experiences with CenturyLink.

CenturyLink response

Hello Thuvan, we apologize that you're without service at this time, and that your service repair appointments were missed and the issue has not yet been properly resolved. We'd like to look into this for you, and answer any questions you may have - just reach out to us here. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Updated on 01/05/2019: I finally got a ticket issued by CenturyLink to have someone come out to investigate the problem (ticket# ** - Dec 31). The tech (Jonathan) never showed up at my house, never contacted me about the issue and closed the ticket without communicating with me. I emailed him and got no response. I called tech support and got someone in the Philippines and I asked for a language transfer. I was told by a tech support person in Florida that there was a switch that had to be fixed in Charlottesville, and to wait until the end of the day to test my speed. For about an hour my download speed was between 10 and 5 MB download, but by evening was down to the same pathetic download speed.

Since then, every day I get download speeds from about 0.1 MB to 0.02 MB. This was the final straw. I am fed up with CenturyLink. I have been a customer since 1990, and am not going to waste any more time with CenturyLink. So I decided to switch to Comcast/Xfinity and they are going to set me up with Performance Internet at 60MB download and 5 MB upload. Once that is set up I am going to move my landline to Comcast/Xfinity as well. I see that all over the country CenturyLink has outages. I belong to a group of 400 information technology professionals in Charlottesville and many of them are complaining about CenturyLink. I am going to mention my experiences to all the members of the IT group. I hope the FCC fines CenturyLink for your nationwide outages.

Meanwhile Ting is increasing the size of its fiber internet in Charlottesville, and people love it. I am the contact person for our whole neighborhood, and I am getting people to sign up for Ting as soon as it gets to our area. I don't think there is anything you can do for me except for me to call tech support, and I'll just get someone who can't speak English well, or can't move beyond a script. I appreciate your response, but it is too little, too late, and CenturyLink lost a customer that has been with CenturyLink since 1990.

Original review: We pay for 10 MB download speed for CenturyLink internet. Since December 24, out download speed varies between 0.15 BM to 0.09 MB. Thus we are getting roughly only 1/100th of the speed which we pay for. When I was able to get in touch with tech support on 01-26-2018, I talked with Phil in an unspecified foreign country who informed me that everything was working fine on their end and that I should get a new modem from CL. He was clueless and following a script. I am using a Netgear modem/router but had two old CL modem/routes I used for testing- all of which give the same download speed. So it is not a problem with my modem/router. I also tried changing modem channels, and that didn't help.

On 12/27 I used the CL online Service Troubleshooter which indicated an issue with the health of our internet service. The error was "line unstable". I tried contacting tech support for the next two days and got a message "all circuits busy." I also made 4 calls which never connected with tech support. I was able to contact a tech in two instances, but the line went dead shortly into the call, and I never received a call back. On 12/31 I used the online CL Service Troubleshooter and was informed that "modem ping falls". Two more attempts to contact tech support failed. Finally after a 55 minutes hold I got in touch with a tech who issued a ticket. I am a very experienced computer user with networking experience, and I know more about the technical issues on the client end than do the techs on the CenturyLink end.

The problem has to do with a technical problem between the outside of the house and the central office. Our house has a dedicated phone line for Internet only. Previous to this I have had two bad modem/routers from CL, one of which dropped connection frequently and the other overheating, possible a fire hazard. Most tech support people follow a script and will not listen or will not believe me when I say the problem is on the CL end. I am wasting a lot of time with CenturyLink and not getting what I paid for. Oh, and let me add that CenturyLink suggests I set up a chat with CL to diagnose the problem, but how is that supposed to work when I don't have a stable connection? How do I get a reimbursement for services not received.

CenturyLink response

Hello Jeff - we apologize that you were not properly assisted with the line issues you've been experiencing - we'd be glad to investigate this for you, and answer any questions you may have. Just reach out to us here, and we'll take it from there. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

I wasn't even able to begin internet service. I ordered service on 12-14-18. I was told service would be scheduled to begin on 12-28-18 and the time between the order and the start date was so they could mail me a modem that I could set up myself. From 12-28-18 to 12-31-18 I spent a total of 6 hours on hold with customer service. I was hung up on every time I asked a rep for ID for my notes. I never got a response at all from any of the online contact portals.

When I finally did get to speak to customer service reps (3 different ones) I was told that the modem had not been sent, then that it was not ordered, then that a tech came to install service but got no answer even though there was someone home that day not to mention that I was to do a self install, not have a tech at all. I was then told there is no way to do a self install and I would have to have a tech do it, but the first available day to schedule was 1-17-18, more than a month since the original order was placed. I feel like I practically begged them to take money from me, and they just didn't want my business. I decided to use another company for my service.

CenturyLink response

Hello Lauren, we're sorry to see that the negative experience you had with CenturyLink caused you to leave our company - but if you have any persisting questions or concerns, then please reach out to us here and we'd be glad to help.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Once you make your payment they couldn't care less about you as a customer. After being told multiple times by several reps of different service activation dates I get told, "Well my supervisor can't do anything about it." Not only was I LIED to about the date of my service but I was also charged double! This is by far the worst COMPANY I have ever had to deal with and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone!!

CenturyLink response

Hello Karen, we are sorry to see the amount of trouble you've gone through to get service installed. We'd be happy to investigate this for you, and answer any other questions you may have. Just respond to us here, and we'll take it from there. We look forward to hearing from you.

CenturyLink expert review by ConsumerAffairs

CenturyLink was founded 1968 and is now the third largest DSL provider in the United States. The company provides Internet, television, home security and home phone services. It also partners with Verizon to offer cell phone service. Customers receive discounts for subscribing to multiple CenturyLink services.

• International plans: CenturyLink offers reduced rates for calling select countries in Central and South America. They also have plans for other international call and plans specifically for calling Canada.

• Extra features: Consumers can choose a plan with a wide variety of features, including call forwarding, caller ID, three-way calling, voicemail and more.

• Refer-a-friend: CenturyLink’s refer-a-friend program rewards consumers when someone signs up for a new service using an existing customer’s referral link. If the new customer remains with the company for two months, both parties receive a gift card worth up to $75, depending on the type of service the new customer selects.

• Online support: The Guidance Center section of CenturyLink’s website has tools to help customers with questions or problems. If customers can’t solve the problem on their own, they can easily make a service call request from the same page on the website.

• Best for: CenturyLink is best for consumers who want to bundle multiple services.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs