1.22/5

formerly Qwest

4557 CenturyLink Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 15, 2019

My elder Mom has had so-called "service" from CenturyLink for a very long time. The customer service just gets worse! One full week ago, there was a major outage in Lake Placid, Florida. Even the police department lost landlines. That was 7-days ago! My elder Mom has a landline so that her cardiac device can be monitored remotely. She is still without a working line after a full week of calls, emails, online chats, and even Facebook messaging. A full week of insincere assurances, countless apologies, broken promises, and overall lack of concern and horrible customer service! This line is even designated by CenturyLink as a "critical line!"

It stunning and not surprising to discover thousands of complaints on this ConsumerAffairs site and nothing more than a ONE star rating out of a possible FIVE Stars! I would give CenturyLink and their indifferent executives ZERO stars if that was an option. I even took screenshots of my pointless chat messaging repair person to prove their total lack of responsiveness! Stay far away from the lousy excuse for a company!

CenturyLink response

Hello Stephen, thank you for the feedback, and we apologize that your mother has had such a negative experience with us on her account and with her service. We'd be glad to investigate this further, and answer any questions you may have. Please let us know if you'd like our help by responding here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I had Century Link for few months and noticed the slow internet and poor service, incompetent employees. Century Link sales rep asked me to add DirecTV for 30 days worry free service. I tried it for one week and cancelled DirecTV, but they billed me for it and denied the No termination fee if cancelled within a month.

I called another sales rep, and recorded Century Link assuring the public with the 30 days No termination fee. Century Link promised to remove the fee, but 9 months later it showed in my credit report as a charge off. Charge off benefits Century Link but harm the public credit score. Those who are affected by the dishonesty of Century Link should join me in a lawsuit to stop them from their dishonest and malicious action.

CenturyLink response

Hello Ammar; we could understand how this billing issue with DirecTv would be frustrating, and we would be glad to clear up any misinformation or confusion with your account. Please let us know if you would like our assistance by reaching out to us here, and we'll take it from there. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: March 14, 2019

We signed up for CenturyLink because we were promised installation would be taken care of in 30 days, but that you’re obliged to put 60-90 days in the contract. We are now past the 90 day mark and contacted you and were told it would be an additional 60 days. We are now working with three people and cannot get in touch with anyone and cannot get a copy of the Master Service Agreement for our records after one week of asking for it.

CenturyLink response

Hello Cheyenne- we're sorry to hear your installation has been heavily delayed with CenturyLink, and that you haven't been properly helped getting the order issue resolved. We'd be glad to investigate this for you, in order to work towards a permanent solution. Just reach out to us here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I've had CenturyLink now for over 3 years. At first I bought CenturyLink and DirecTV together as a bundle. Then DirecTV wanted to overcharge and add channels I didn't want so we got rid of them. Why have DirecTV when you have Netflix and Amazon Prime? Anyways, My Century Link bill went from $45 to $101+ and keeps going UP! Why? I have no idea! It says on their website "pay this amount for life". Yeah right! BS! How can I fix this?

Original review: March 13, 2019

CenturyLink has sent numerous techs to my house to fix my internet problem. Each time I have to take time off work because they can't work around my availability. Each tech claims to have fixed the problem and each time I still end up with same issue. My internet is dropping constantly. I have been back and forth with this issue for over a year now. Very frustrating and ridiculous. I pay every month. Why can't they actually fix this problem??!! No concern for their customers. On top of everything they want me to pay to fix the issue if it happens to be in my inside wiring. Very much over this. I am begging for other internet options at this time.

CenturyLink response

Hello, Rhonda. I can definitely understand why you would be upset considering how long it is taking to get your internet issues resolved. I would be more than happy to help you get this resolved once and for all if you send us a message on here. I look forward to working with you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CenturyLink?

Original review: March 13, 2019

I have a tech or two out here every single week trying to fix the same problems that I have had for over 7 months. I call every single day about the same issues, multiple times a day. I am literally spamming their customer service center with complaints. I don't care one bit how much of a bother I am being. I will continue having techs out here EVERY single week until I am friends with all of them. I might even start offering them dinner and a movie. Oh wait... It'll buffer for 5 hours first. I recently tried downloading a 41GB game, it took me 3 entire days to download that. 3 ENTIRE DAYS NON-STOP! Meaning, not turning the computer off for 3 days straight!

My DSL connection constantly stops every single day, multiple times a day. My modem tries to retrain itself more than 30 times a day and this is the 4th modem we have had. I get 100,000+ CRC errors hourly every single day. I get slower than dial-up speed 88% of the time. And I pay $45 a month for this service. TRASH! TRASH TRASH TRASH TRASH TRASH! ** THIS COMPANY. Hope you guys die in a sewer hole.

CenturyLink response

Hello James - we apologize that you're currently experiencing poor service on our behalf, and that the issue hasn't been resolved for you yet. We'd be glad to look into this for you, and answer any other questions you may have in order to get this fixed. Just let us know if you'd like our help by responding here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: March 13, 2019

Updated on 03/19/2019: After CenturyLink came to the conclusion that they I wasn't going to willingly pay them $121 that they claim I owed DirecTV, (we were suckered into a bundle billing plan), CenturyLink now somehow has control of whether or not I can use DirecTV as my cable provider. DirecTV is in agreement that we are paid in full. After two months of getting nowhere with CenturyLink in this matter I finally cut ties with them, and contacted DirecTV to have their bill submitted to us. All seemed ok for a couple days, then all of a sudden my cable is cut off.

I contacted DirecTV and asked my balance and was told (which I already knew) that we were current, however I had to contact CenturyLink to get the service reinstated through them first. What? The service is in my wife's name, not CenturyLink. CenturyLink is trying to extort me out of money. You can read in previous correspondence through this website where CenturyLink claims to have no control in regards to the DirecTV portion of the bill. Apparently that's a lie. They were able to shut off my service even though I paid the bill every month and DirecTV acknowledged this. If you are looking for a service provider I urge you to steer clear of CenturyLink.

Original Review: Bundled with DirecTV and have a $0 balance due, yet CenturyLink is gonna cut off our service because they show a past due of $121 which was an error by DirecTV and was corrected 2 months ago. They can't seem to understand that. I have talked until I'm blue in the face. They both tell me it's the other company’s responsibility.

CenturyLink response

Hello, Mark. I can definitely understand why you would be upset given the situation. I would be happy to investigate this for you and see exactly what's going on with your billing. Send us a message here and I'll help you out.

Original review: March 12, 2019

CenturyLink provides the worse customer service! I have not had internet for 7 days now, the lines were cut and damaged but when I call they tell me there’s no outage in my neighborhood and it takes 9 days to get a tech. They refuse to send an engineer out even though I can see the cut lines in the street. I work from home and this has happened at least 6 times this year. The overseas office is clueless and going through Facebook is a waste! I am beyond frustrated with their lack of customer care not having internet and staff not communicating with different departments. How can an IT company be so fragmented. How can you not provide a service to your customers and yet still charge them? Today there is still no one working on the cut wires! I wish CenturyLink would sell out.

CenturyLink response

Hello, Hattie. I'm sorry it's taking us so long to get someone out there to get this resolved. I would be happy to investigate this for you and see what's going on. All you need to do is send us a message on here and we will get started.

Original review: March 12, 2019

CenturyLink customer since 2006. Now having trouble with DSL for since July of 2018. DSL service deteriorating and is now out everyday now from 17:00 until 08:00 next morning. 12 hours, 14 hours, 16 hours, sometimes 18 hours of outages per day. Also experience numerous slow downs, and outage during any normal day documented by internet WIFI speed apps. Multiple phone calls to CenturyLink, multiple purchases of new equipment based on customer service recommendations, e.g. new DSL modems, new wiring, new router. Converted wireless WIFI devices to unlimited 4G LTE service. Service tech out to my house several times, “Everything outside the house is GOOD.” CenturyLink Service continues to tell me it is my equipment inside the house is the problem.

After hours and hours on phone, and numerous “trouble-shooting sessions” the CenturyLink customer service / “Engineer” finally explained to me that all my internal WIFI devices are all trying to update, all at the same time, for 12 or more hours every night from 17:00 of 08:00, and causing a “bandwidth bottleneck.” When I suggested that is not true, and not even possible, the CenturyLink customer service / “Engineer” personnel just hangs up on me. Nothing has ever been resolved, nothing has improved, service has actually deteriorated, and I have wasted hours contacting CenturyLink, documenting my internet speed with apps and MBPS data and even used the CenturyLink speed app on their own web pages. All my efforts were wasted, because they ignored all my data and threw it back at me as “INACCURATE / INVALID / IMPRECISE / FALSE data.

I am disconnecting my service. Because I do not have DSL internet functioning, my DirecTV (that CenturyLink bills for) does not work correctly. No streaming, no playback, record errors, buffering during watching live TV or any recordings. I can barely watch live TV on my DirecTV without numerous interruptions. CenturyLink says it is NOT their DSL problem and then blames DirecTV, and DirecTV blames CenturyLink. I am disconnecting my satellite too. To CenturyLink: If you do not want to provide your product and service to customers, just say so in your ad, do not waste our time, money, and resources with the non-existent service departments, staff reading off a pre-published script and transferring customer complaints from department to department. Just tell the truth “At CenturyLink – we don’t care and we still make money!”

CenturyLink response

Hello Rod - this issue with lack of customer service and internet is not what we want our customers to experience, and we apologize that this hasn't been resolved yet. We'd be glad to investigate the line issues for you, and answer any questions you may have. Just let us know if you'd like our help by responding here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: March 12, 2019

First of all my bill went up to 130 a month from 80. When I called billing told me they only could lower my bill to 104 if I signed up for an upgrade to 25 for life! So I did it. They came without me knowing and I came home and I had no landline or internet service. Mind you they sent me a new router for the upgrade. Anyhow after waiting home 3 days they never showed up. Each time texting me that they were running behind and it would be another day they would come. I called 8 times spoke to supervisors and supervisors supervisors still nothing. After a week I finally cancelled my service. We only have 2 providers here and no wonder they think they can push loyal customers around. They have a monopoly here!

The day I mailed the modems back on my way home the service tech called and told me he was there to fix the problems hahaha! He told me they should have never offered me the higher speed cause we can’t get that speed here. This company shouldn’t exist cause of what they put their customers through! I am now forced to go with Hughes Net. Hopefully they are better! Oh and Optimum is here too. Guess what company that is? You got it. CenturyLink! We need more competition here to get CenturyLink aka ATT their parent company to get on the ball for their customers and lower their prices!

CenturyLink response

Hello Pat, we apologize that the experience you had with us led you to cancel your service, and we could understand how this would be pretty frustrating to deal with for new service. We'd be glad to look into any other questions you may still have for us. Just reach out to us here privately, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I was simply trying to set up a static IP. 1st day spent over an hour on the phone, transferred 6 times, still no one can help me. 2nd attempt: called, they told me they could not help me over the phone, that I had to go online to set up. Did that. Chat transferred me 4 times, then made me wait around on the chat thing for 20 or so minutes, then they tell me I have to call customer care. After they just told me I had to go online! So I call again, transferred 3 times. Finally I had to threaten to cancel services if they transferred me one more time. Now I have a static IP. Which they charged me a set up fee of $75. They should of waived that for the hassle but no, of course not. I cannot wait for other services to be available in my area. I’m throwing a party for all the people that rate CenturyLink 1 star (and that is almost 800 people from what I see on BBB).

CenturyLink response

Hello, Brittany. I'm sorry you had to go through all of that just to get a static IP. I would be happy to open up your account and see what we can do about that activation fee for you. All you need to do is send us a message on here and I'll help you out. I look forward to working with you!

Original review: March 11, 2019

I have been calling and chatting for a week since paid installation trying to get my digital phone service to work. Poorest customer service I have ever experienced. My call has been dropped upon departmental transfer more times than I remember because I signed up online for bundled service called SimplePay. I am so disappointed after being a twenty-year Cox Communications customer and wanting to try another service.

CenturyLink response

Hello, Virginia. I think anyone would be upset considering your situation. It is unacceptable that you were transferred so much just to get your phone services working. I would be more than happy to investigate this for you and help you get this resolved. Send us a message on here and we will help you out.

Original review: March 11, 2019

I have complaints on BBB about this company. So before we moved we got 25mbps and we were a mile from colo. We called an was told wed still have 25mbps when moved. Mind you were now less then 1/4 mile from colo. Well we couldn't get 25mbps, only 10 is avail at our address. And they didn’t notify us of this. So that was BBB complaint #1. Complaint #2 is that our connection will sometimes bounce between 20-100mbps or drop completely. Which means that we obviously can get more than 10mbps and they refuse to acknowledge this. Your move CenturyLink, I can file complaints all day long till you up our speed. Which I know for a fact can happen. I mean you don't just randomly get ridiculous spikes like that if our address can't handle those speeds.

CenturyLink response

Hello, Jess. I can understand why you would be upset. I'm sorry we haven't been able to get you faster speeds at your new location but I would be happy to investigate this on your behalf. Send us a message on here and I will assist you. I look forward to working with you.

Original review: March 10, 2019

Internet speed is really bad, it is a snail pace or drops completely off. I canceled only my internet service and without my knowledge they cut off my phone service too. I am a disable person so I need phone service. I would have to sign up for phone service like a new customer, at a higher price than what I was paying. I now have a different company.

CenturyLink response

Hello, Sonie. I'm sorry that we didn't provide you with the internet speeds that you needed and that we disconnected your phone service when removing your internet service. I would be happy to help you get your phone services restored. All you need to do is send us a message on here and I can get started. I look forward to working with you.

Original review: March 9, 2019

CENTURYLINK FORMAL COMPLAINT. I would like to express my extreme disgust with CenturyLink lack of customer service. I started with CenturyLink business when I started my business in Feb 2004 and had one home phone line and two business lines and soon added internet and email. During that time I was paying over $250 each month.

I moved my home office from Lafayette CO to Loveland CO on 18 Jan 2019. On the 15 Jan I called customer service and talked to Chris and asked that he cancel my CenturyLink service as soon as possible. He explained there would be approx $150 early termination penalty as my contract was until October 2019. I said that was acceptable and thought all was finalized.

On 22 Jan I called to confirm all was canceled and spoke to Alicia who explained cancellation was set up for the next day 23 Jan. She also advised that Chris had only canceled my two business lines and not the home phone, plus internet/email was still active. Now I ask you why would I still need internet and home phone if I had already explained to Chris I was MOVING and selling my house in Lafayette?

On 01 Feb I get my bill of $255.61 which I paid immediately. It was received as usual. I called again and spoke to Rhonda who told me the home phone was STILL CONNECTED! She also explained that if I canceled the internet, I would lose my email which to say the least was upsetting as no one had mentioned that previously. She said I could keep just the internet/email for $70-$80 month. I said I would give that some thought but likely would make other arrangements. She said to call back in 1-2 weeks to see that all was finally canceled correctly.

On 21 Feb I get a new bill for $370.27 which is due 06 March. I have NOT paid that bill as I cannot get a straight answer as to what the hell it is for! Rather than speak to another kind, solicitous employee who goes on to do absolutely NOTHING we discussed I tried the computer chat and “spoke” to Jeneva ** on 4 March. She kindly explained that I had no option but to pay the new $370.27 and I would likely get another bill after I pay the current one.

She then put me through to Alba ** who gave me an order/cancel # **. Now remember this is 21 Feb and I called and canceled EVERYTHING with Chris on 15 Jan and this “new” cancel order number is still my HOME PHONE! (**). I am a woman business owner, a senior and disabled. I think the way I have been treated is disgraceful and I would never recommend CenturyLink to friends, family or indeed clients. I have always paid my bills on time and was a loyal client for almost 15 years and indeed a residential client since 1993!

I am requesting an actual review of this terrible experience and I want a FINAL bill from you bearing in mind the failure to cancel per my request was totally on your end. I will NOT pay the current bill $370.27 until I get both a resolution and an apology from a CenturyLink manager who has at least a modicum of authority.

CenturyLink response

Hello, Alison. I can understand why you would be upset. Anyone would be considering the amount of run around that you were given. Chris should have resolved this properly when you first contacted him. I can help you get this bill resolved for you if you send us a message on here. I look forward to working with you!

Original review: March 9, 2019

CenturyLink is the worst company I have EVER dealt with in my entire 51 years of existence. In December, I had to update my package for internet and cable. Prism TV is pretty much gone or you will be charge quadruple from what you previously paid. They force you into getting DirecTV satellites. I was adamant that I did not want one, but because I live out in the country I didn't have a choice of providers, but CenturyLink. The customer service agent lied to me from the second she started talking. She stated that the satellite dishes are about 10 inches now and we will not lose service when it rains because if it rains the dish will pick up another satellite and we will continuously get service. I was told that I would receive a $300 Visa card within four to six weeks of signing up for DirecTV. That was a complete lie.

It is now March 9th and I am still waiting for my $300 Visa card rebate. The lady also stated that the DirecTV guy would come out and would do the install in a completely professional manner. Well that was a complete lie too because I had to go behind him and clean up the mess that he dropped in my backyard of screws, wiring, zip ties. He did not secure the hole that he drilled through my house to install the wire to my television. He left trash on my roof. I had to go to Lowe's and buy a cover for the inside of the house where he put the wire through the wall and I also had to secure the outside hole because it was loose and water and insects could have crawled through it into my house. When I called CenturyLink to complain, all I got was, "You need to call DirecTV about the installer and we're sorry that she told you misinformation. Will re-educate her".

Now I get my bill for this month and it's three times what I was promised. CenturyLink is a monopoly in the country part of Tallahassee Florida. They don't give a damn about you. I will treat you like crap and lied to you. I would stay away from CenturyLink. I promise you that you will have issues with them. Maybe not at first oh, but you will have issues with them. I am currently seeking a new avenue for high-speed internet and cable television at my home. I hope to be able to call CenturyLink and tell them in a very nice way to go pound sand. They have no local offices in Tallahassee so that I can go talk to human. You have to call an 800 number and deal with somebody in a state very far away. Again let me repeat... Stay away from CenturyLink at all cost.

Original review: March 9, 2019

I've been having issues with internet for 4 days now. I have spent over 3 hours in the phone with repair, had 4 service tickets open, waited at my home for over 20 hours for the tech to show up and no one had knocked on the door yet. Every time I call they apologize and escalate it, but still no one shows, no one has called and nothing has changed. My internet has now gone down 42 times since 2:24pm today. For a communication company they don't do a very good job. Any suggestions?

Original review: March 8, 2019

Unfortunately I’ve had CenturyLink for over a year now. I can’t switch because apparently they’re the only provider in my area. Smh. I don’t know what I pay for when I can’t even stream Netflix on one device without constant buffering and losing signal. I restart and power cycle my router at least 5 to six times a day only to get it back up for 30 min. I’m so over this. No reliable service but always get their money. Smdh. This is ridiculous.

CenturyLink response

Hello, Kaenne. I'm sorry you've been experiencing such low speeds and so many connectivity issues. I know how frustrating it can be when you want to watch Netflix and you aren't able to. If you send us a message on here, I would be happy to help you with the internet issues you are experiencing. I look forward to working with you.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I canceled my landline at the end of Jan (2019). They said they would also cancel my autopay and that I should pay the last bill by check. When the bill came (Pay IMMEDIATELY) I sent them a check for the remainder. The same day I mailed the check, they withdrew the amt from my checking. Just received a bill with a credit on it. I called Customer Service to ask for a check to be issued. First person could not help, passed me on to a man who couldn't speak English and he passed me on to DirecTV dept. All of this took 29 minutes, mostly on hold. (It has never been unusual to be on hold when calling; this was just excessive.) All of this happened on 3/7/2019. Of course DirecTV couldn't help me. They couldn't even see my account. I am totally angry and frustrated with the total ineptitude of this company. I DO NOT RECOMMEND DEALING WITH THEM IN ANY MANNER BECAUSE OF MY EXPERIENCES WITH THEM.

CenturyLink response

Hello Kathy - we apologize that you weren't properly assisted with your billing, and that you received misinformation about the process for the final statement. We'd be glad to clear any confusion/misinformation up for you, and answer any other questions you may have. Just reach out to us here privately, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I dislike this company. They make fake promises to give you the speeds I asked for and got half of their lowest connection speed and I am still paying full price for 40 mbps and at the most I got 14.7 mbps. And if I cancel I'll get charged 200 bucks. Tecfinity was much better.

CenturyLink response

Hello Joshua - we apologize that you are not able to take advantage of the speeds you're subscribing to at this time, and that you haven't been properly helped with the service issue yet. We'd like to offer our help to get this resolved, and answer any other questions you may have - just let us know if you'd like our help by responding to us here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: March 7, 2019

Where do I start? Internet speeds are **. Half the time I do not get the crap speed I pay for. The other half I get buffer buffer buffer and more of the same. It is 3 am and yet I have less than dial up speed. You stuck and if I had any other choice I would drop you in a heart beat. Get your act together. It's 2019 for duck's sake!!!

CenturyLink response

Hello, Charles. I'm sorry to hear that your internet speeds leave something to be desired. I would be happy to help you with the speed issues you are having and with any other CenturyLink issues you are experiencing. Send us a message on here and I will help you there.

Original review: March 5, 2019

Rep in October 2017 signed me up for price for life internet and phone bundle at $85/mo with Direct TV. Statement turned out to be almost twice as much as quoted, plus she didn't initiate phone service and I was without my landline for 6 days. Promotional Visa gift card took until April to receive after being promised for Christmas, my making several calls, and being transferred to other company for resolution. Internet out 12 times in first month then so intermittent I stopped counting. Customer service, especially chat don't know how to answer questions and one chat can take over 2 hours while they transfer you 4-5 times. Then there were the times the internet dropped and I had to start all over.

In early January 2019 people were texting me saying they couldn't reach me by landline, phone rang and rang, or was immediately cut off, one person heard voices on my line. Tried to resolve that and then my dial tone went so I couldn't receive or make calls. Used all my cell phone minutes trying to deal and requested another ISP. When I cancelled CL on January 18 I told them new provider installing on the 19th. I was not informed that to keep my old phone number I should disconnect after the 19th so my phone number could be ported over. Had to re-open a new account for porting over the number and was not told that would cost $60. Account open for 6 days and after much frustration for the new ISP and myself, I got my old phone number back. For 6 days got a bill for $109.84, due 2-27.

On 2-25 I used their automated phone system to pay the balance, which had changed to $86.72 due to refund. I paid that amount but the amount failed to show up in my checking account. Today I spent the entire afternoon trying to straighten out this final bill mess. CL reps told me an incorrect account number had been entered and my credit union rejected my payment. Credit union said not so, CL needs to re-post. CL claimed they can't re-post but could take my payment by phone for $3.50 charge. Why should I have to pay a charge when I'm correcting Century Link's error??? I paid the $86.72 - again with the additional $3.50 and learned my current bill was now $116.84, which appears to be a $7.00 late charge tacked on to their initial bill of $109.84.

Now I learned there is a $30 fee for the returned payment. Funny how I have paid almost all of my bills for many years using my checking account number and routing number without the slightest problem - until I used Century Link's automated system. The most incompetent business I have EVER had the misfortune of encountering, and bordering on scamming customers for every nickel they can figure out a way to collect - in addition to paying for service that was either non-existent (phone) or so intermittent as to be non-working (internet).

They have tried to repair, and have checked lines - my home is fine, it's in their own systems. Exactly the same thing that happened when I had Quest - bad service that slowly deteriorated to practically non-existent, techs checked lines, my home okay, their problem. Had I known Century link was just Quest 2.0 (only worse!) I never would have come near the company. I'll be heading to the state AG's office with this.

CenturyLink response

Hello, Marilyn. That sounds like a profoundly frustrating experience and I'm sorry you had to go through that. We definitely should have been more clear about the gift card and the billing as well as help you get the services repaired in a timely manner. If there is anything I can do to help you, send us a message on here and I will help you out.

Original review: March 4, 2019

On or about Feb 6th, I ordered internet service by phone with CenturyLink. An appointment time was given for them to show up and set up the equipment needed for service. But that day came and went. The technician no call/no showed. I called in and got a new connection date. Same thing happened again. No Call/No Show! Someone else had ordered service at this address previously, so they could not connect service until the first order was canceled. That issue was sorted out and then there was a hold placed on the account because they claimed they had defective equipment. For a month, I was stood up by the technician and on the 22nd of Feb I canceled the order. No one ever showed up here to hook up internet. But they did charge me a 75 dollar deposit.

Today is March 4th, and so far I have received 10 letters explaining my charges. I would have to pay to them for internet service. None of the explanations had the same dollar amounts. All 10 are different amounts. I called them on the phone and told each of the 10 people I was transferred to, my name, the account number, the last 4 of my social security number, and the fact that they are billing me for service I never received, and that I canceled the order on the 22nd of Feb. The 10th lady was very rude and told me that since I never called in (which I did repeatedly) the deposit of 75 dollars would be refunded by mail in 45 days. I then proceeded to be fairly nasty on the phone using language I was not proud of.

This is the absolute worst experience I have ever had with a company. They take your deposit, never give you service, but bill you for it, tell you that you owe them money, even though you have never even had service with them. I have all of the phone conversations with customer service recorded. If there is a lawyer reading these, I would love to be part of a class action lawsuit against them. I am a disabled vet on a fixed income and 75 dollars is a lot of money for me to just do without for 3 months because I wanted internet service with this joke of a company.

CenturyLink response

Hello, Billy. I'm sorry we weren't able to provide you with service in a more timely manner and you had to cancel the order. I would be upset too if I was still billed despite the cancellation. I would be happy to investigate this bill and see if there is anything we can do to speed up that deposit getting back to you. Send us a message on here and I'll help you.

Original review: March 3, 2019

So this is the most frustrating company in the history of ISP. I had CenturyLink in the previous home we lived in. It worked about 25% of the time. I had a router I rented from them. It stopped working so I contacted them. They said they’d send me a new one and I’d just have to send the broken one back. So I got the new one and sent back the broken one back. I got a tracking number with the sent broken one. The tracking number stated that CenturyLink received it. I then a month later get charged $100 for them not getting their router/modem.

I contacted them several times and got really no resolution other than, “So sorry sir you’ll just have to pay!” So I didn’t pay it and they sent it to collections. Now the new house I have has service through them but it’s not in my name. And the service I have now is SO SLOW. I live in a very rural area and I understand that but we pay for 4 MBPS. We on average get 50 or below KBPS not MBPS. It’s a joke. I’m not writing this in hopes that CenturyLink will respond and ask me to contact them. I’m doing this to warn you as a consumer RUN RUN RUN FAR AWAY FROM THESE CHARLATANS. They are a joke and they only care about themselves.

CenturyLink response

Hello, Matthew. I can understand why you would be upset. From the sound of it, you should not have been charged for that modem. If you send us a message on here, I can help you resolve that modem fee as well as assist you with the speed issues you have been experiencing. I look forward to working with you!

Original review: March 2, 2019

Definitely not a company to have anything to do with. I only signed up for internet because they are the only provider where I lived. Knowing their reputation, I made sure I got the terms very clearly in writing before I agreed to the installation. Nonetheless, the first bill overcharged by $99 for the installation and $10 per month. When I contacted them and confronted them with the terms, their representative simple refused to honor it. Additionally, they attempted to collect by sending the bill four times (although two of them they called “account statements”) within nine days of the installation. Obviously, this was not a mistake, and they were attempting to use intimidation.

I do have to disagree with the person who said after they get your money they no longer care about you are a customer. They do not consider you a customer from the start, merely a mark. But they will not be getting any money from me until they honor the clearly stated terms of our written contract. Nor will I waste any more time with their customer service.

CenturyLink response

Hello. I'm sorry that there were errors on the bill when you received it. I would be happy to go over it with you and help you find a resolution. All you need to do is send us a message here.

Original review: March 2, 2019

We signed a contract for CenturyLink phone and the level of incompetence is mind boggling. Techs have repeatedly missed the install dates, and I have spent hours and hours on my cell phone trying to find out what is happening. Basically, CenturyLink will just steal your money and not provide any services they are contracted for. You are better off giving your credit card number to one of those Nigerian prince e-mail scams.

CenturyLink response

Hello, Chris. I'm so very sorry to hear that our techs haven't been able to make it out to install your services. I would be happy to investigate this for you and see exactly what's causing these delays. All you need to do is send us a message on here and I'll help you out.

Original review: March 2, 2019

Terrible billing. I had to contact the state attorney gen office. They were using every underhanded tactic to charge late fees. This morning my landline is dead. Customer service transferred me FIVE times before a service ticket could be filed. WHAT?!! Internet speed is slow and lagging (no matter what package you choose). I have had some health issues and should have left this company long ago. They need to clean house in billing & customer service & start over with intense training. I wouldn't recommend this terrible so-called company to anyone.

CenturyLink response

Hello, Linda. I can understand why you would be upset considering your experience with CenturyLink so far. I can assist you with your billing as well as your phone and internet issues. To do so, you just need to send us a message on here. I look forward to working with you!

Original review: March 2, 2019

Updated on 04/05/2019: I CANCELLED ACCOUNT of DSL, Phone, Dish Bundle in early February. THEY ARE STILL SENDING ME Bills now into April 22nd!!!! For Dish. I've called at least 10 times and each person keeps saying this will be last bill, and then another Dish Bill comes... I canceled and have a Confirmation #.**. IF Dish is sending you my new service bill, Do not third party bill it to me! I will be contacting my bank to cease any more payments to CenturyLink since I'm still on Autopay, I can't access my online CenturyLink account to shut this Autopay off either because that has been closed by CenturyLink, even though I still somehow have an active CenturyLink account#**.

If someone could call me and close this account once and for all I would appreciate it. They were also supposed to port our phone# over as well, needless to say that has been a 3 month unresolved saga as well. I've never in my life gone online or given a bad review, but we are being held hostage by the incompetence of this Company. If this doesn't get resolved I will continue to rant online on Twitter, Facebook, etc to anyone that will listen against CenturyLink's business. Thanks?

Original Review: I've been attempting to cancel my CenturyLink services for a month now, it has been a nightmare. I originally bundled Phone, Internet, Dish Billing. I was able to cancel the phone and horrific DSL, but they are still trying to bill me for Dish, which I specifically cancelled a month ago. And since I don't have an account with them anymore I can't go online and turn off my Autopay option, so they just keep billing me out of my checking account. What an incompetent operation.

CenturyLink response

Hello, Samson. I can understand why you would be upset considering the situation. I would be more than happy to investigate this for you further and help you find a resolution. Send us a message on here and I'll assist you there.

Original review: March 1, 2019

Nothing but problems. Slow, randomly shuts down, red flashing light. Just trash. I will be switching on payday. I mean seriously they're a huge internet company. You would think they would have a quality product. But they dont!

CenturyLink response

Hello, Edward. I'm sorry to hear that you've had so much trouble with your internet services. I would be more than happy to investigate this for you and see what we can do to improve your services. Send us a message on here and I'll help you out.

Original review: March 1, 2019

Expect marginal customer service from Century Link. Their telephone representatives are poorly trained, incompetent and rude. Whether their employees can solve consumer problems depends on the representative you are connected with and their demeanor and attitude for the moment. Century Link no longer allows the option to email a complaint about unsatisfactory employee performance. Also with their new price for life, they will now pad the bill with every extra expense they can come up with to scan an unknowing consumer. You must carefully examine your bill every month to avoid being ripped off.

CenturyLink response

Hello Cory - we apologize that the experiences you've had with CenturyLink thus far has made you feel this way about our company. We'd be glad to help you should any issues arise, or you have questions about your billing. Just reach out to us here privately for assistance, and we'll take it from there.

CenturyLink Company Information