2.95/5

formerly Qwest

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

CenturyLink Reviews

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

Have been a subscriber to CenturyLink internet service for 14 months now, & have been dissatisfied most of that time. Live in Florida, have had cable internet since dial up. This one is horrible. Paying for 10mbps service, receiving anywhere from 1.5mbps to 7mbps, occasionally receiving the 10 I’m paying for. The gimmick, no competition here. Phone them, spend 10 minutes to an hour & they’ll kick it up to 10, every time. Field service representatives are great, office service is horrible & the actual service is horrible. If you can, avoid this company.

CenturyLink response

Hello Arnold, we apologize for the issues you're experiencing with your service, and would be happy to look into this for you, and answer any other questions you may have. Please let us know if you'd like our help by responding to us here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

We've had CenturyLink internet service in one of our Park City, UT condos for about 3 years now and we've been very happy with it. I'd highly recommend their internet service if you're looking for high speed internet.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

Service would work for a day, then be off for the next 2 days. It's off again. In AZ 85027 area giving the service 'til noon today to see if it reconnects. If not I am cutting the service. This happens too frequently to be considered reliable. Buyer BEWARE. Cox is more expensive but I refuse to be down intermittently like this.

CenturyLink response

Hello Terra, we could understand how that'd be frustrating, and would like to offer to keep an eye on your outage ticket, as well as answer any questions you may have. Please let us know if you'd like our help by responding to us here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 8, 2019

Internet service fails constantly. Takes service DAYS to over a week to respond. They treat their customers like they're an annoyance. They promise a day and time for service but always FAIL that promise. They'll take your money and then ignore you completely after that.

CenturyLink response

I am sorry to hear that your services are not working properly. We would be happy to assist you, and address any questions or concerns you may have. Please let us know if you'd like our help by reaching out to us here.

Resolution response: Dec. 8, 2019

I was surprised at how quickly the company got back to me. The representative was courteous and quick. The help was much appreciated...and thank you consumer affairs!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

I was considering signing up for Centurylink, but later discovered I had no working phone jacks in my apartment. I told the customer service representative that was the case, and I think that he thought I was lying. He said he could provide me with free service for a couple of months so that I could decide and then Whammo! I get a ten dollars charge on my account. That is big bureaucrats for you! I am going to call them and cut my service.

CenturyLink response

I am sorry that we provided you with poor customer service. Please let us know if you'd like our help by reaching out to us here.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CenturyLink?

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

Before Thanksgiving it was intermittent. Usually first thing in the morning and right afternoon. Since Thanksgiving it’s almost constant except for midnight to about 6 AM when it all starts again repeatedly all day. It will drop the DSL, the DSL light will turn red. It will repeat this several times before finally making a connection then if you’re really lucky it will stay on for five minutes before the DSL light goes out again. Currently it started at 5:30 when I got home from work and it’s now 9 o’clock. I’ve had intermittent connection the whole time. It hasn’t existed for more than 15 minutes without dropping the Internet. Since my Macintosh is dependent on the iCloud that puts a big hitch on the work I need to do.

I also know I’m not the only one who’s having this problem in this area. Another friend of mine went and bought a brand new expensive computer thinking that would solve the problem. It didn’t. It’s CenturyLink not our computers. I got a brand new modem. That didn’t help. I also bought a new wifi controller. The Mac is directly wired into CenturyLink’s modem. So it’s not the wifi. It’s CenturyLink. When you call them they just try to get you off the phone as Fast as possible.

Anyone they send out tells you it’s not their problem it’s your problem. Strange the entire county is having problems and it’s all our problem. Yes it is. We would rather not have centurylink however our state only has centurylink in this county. I don’t have this problem with my AT&T cell phone Internet nor do I have this problem with Infinity in the next county. It’s only my home service and I have no choice but CenturyLink. Oh and when I clicked the reCAPTCHA, I had no Internet connection. That one was a whole 3 minutes it lasted.

CenturyLink response

Hello PJ. We are very sorry to hear about your poor experience with our service. We would be happy to assist you, and address any questions or concerns you may have. Please let us know if you'd like our help by reaching out to us here.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

I asked the representative what this service provided for a monthly fee of $26.00 and did not get a satisfactory answer. I'm not sure if he understood what this charge was for either as his non-explanation did not inform me.

CenturyLink response

Hello Bob. I am sorry that we were unable to answer your questions about your charges. We would be happy to review your bill and address any questions you have. Please let us know if you'd like our help by reaching out to us here.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

Problem 1. Manager stated billing is like subscription billing. Now a subscription billing uses address and payment info. It does not need a ss#. They also don't charge for services not received or used during month. Problem 2. I received a letter stating my services would be canceled starting November if I didn't agree to the agreement. It wasn't and now I'm being billed for an entire month. I didn't use the "subscription service." (Product was in a bag not plugged into anything.)

Note: I'm a medical biller... We don't bill for a service not used! Manager stated would not remove balance for "subscription" month not used. Worthless, sketchy, and overpriced "subscription" service. Customer service is worse than Walmart. Recommended to avoid like the plague unless you want to be paying WAY TOO MUCH and be told your "Subscription" is charged with no use.

CenturyLink response

Hello. We are sorry to hear about your poor experience with our service. We would be happy to assist you, and address any questions or concerns you may have. Let us know if you'd like our help by reaching out to us here.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

Signed up over a month ago and gave them an activation date of 3 days ago...still no service despite a dozen plus phone calls...lots of excuses as they bounce you from one department to another, a game of hot potato...I must know all of their names by now...To add insult to injury every time I called to request status of my activation ALL of them would try to sell me more services! Can you believe it! If you're going with CenturyLink, give them an activation date of at least a week before you really need it, expect delays, incompetence, excuses, and bring lots and lots of patience!

Update: Day 4, still no service. They supposedly scheduled a hookup tomorrow between 8-5. Had to cancel my flight, this is beginning to cost me $$. Update: Day 5, still no service. Got up at 6:30am and drove the 20 miles to make sure I wouldn't miss the technician. Technician is great, actually called me to give me an ETA. A shining light in an otherwise dark, apathetic company.

CenturyLink response

Hello Douglas. I am sorry to hear about your struggles to get your service activated. Please let us know if you'd like our help by reaching out to us here.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

Called CenturyLink for new service. Lady scheduled for next week for install. Waited around all day, they no showed. Called and rep said, "It has to go through our engineering department and that takes 24-48 hours." Waited 48 hours, called again as they did not call me as they said they would. Spoke with another lady, they say and I will quote, "Oh no, it's not 24 hours, it three weeks." So I went from an install, to now a month down the road. Every time you call them, it's a completely different story and more time added. As if they are doing me a favor. If you have the option, don't do CenturyLink. There is an entire football stadium attempting to get out of a contract "NFL" because of their poor service.

CenturyLink response

Hello Sean. I am sorry that we provided you with poor customer service and did not give you the service you deserve. Please let us know if you'd like our help by reaching out to us here.

CenturyLink Company Information