3.11/5
Based on 2,971 ratings submitted in the last year

formerly Qwest

4742 CenturyLink Consumer Reviews

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

Well it start out at 40 bucks a month. Now it's like 80 bucks a month! If you get behind on your bill they loved it because they turn it off and charge you $25 reinstatement fee. Internet services make it so difficult because when you want to leave them to get a better deal you have to buy a new router and the vicious cycle of raising the internet prices starts all over again!! I just feel like the internet services are all rip-offs and CenturyLink is no better.

CenturyLink response

Hello, William. I can understand why you would be frustrated and I'm sorry your bill increased. I would be happy to see what we can do to lower it for you if you send us a message on here.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

This company knowingly is give service or I should say bills in foxfire complex that does not work and when people are here part time and do not use the internet all that much you don't realize you have a problem until you start trying to use it and notice a problem, you go and buy new tv and then call to have them look at it. The tech tells you the signal is 0.01 when it should be 0.09 to 0.16 and they will not do anything with the bill, if you have another choice use some other company not them.

CenturyLink response

Hello, Chris. I'm sorry you aren't getting the internet service that you need. I know how frustrating that can be but if you send us a message on here, I can help you improve your services and see what we can do about that bill. I look forward to working with you!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

My husband and I called the billing customer service department 6 times (no lie) and then we were told the bill was different each time we called. We had CenturyLink and DirecTV bundled (HUGE MISTAKE!) and cancelled DirecTV. CenturyLink kept paying them! And now they say we have to pay them the entire amount even though we shut DirecTV off 4-8-19. We will NEVER be back!

CenturyLink response

Hello, Jennefer. I can definitely understand why you would be frustrated and I'm sorry that your billing has been causing so much trouble. If you send us a message on here, I can go over your billing and see what's going on.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2019

CenturyLink offered a bundle service - cable, internet and phone service for under $100 a month. My first bill showed no cable charge but I paid the amount on my billing. I called DirecTV and they informed their charge would appear on my next billing from CenturyLink. Prior to receiving my next-bill from CenturyLink my cable was turned off and a billing for $50 for non payment.

When contacting CenturyLink was told DirecTV made the charge and I’d have to go thru them. This I later found out was not true. After many attempts to get my bill corrected over a two year period I canceled my service with CenturyLink. During my two years with Century Link my cable service was turned off three more times. On contacting DirecTV they informed me they did not make these charges. I was not told when signing with CenturyLink that they did not have cable service in my area. I today received a billing from CenturyLink for $520.06 and a threat of turning it over to a collection agency. If you had been HONEST in the beginning I would not be placed in this position. Send me an adjusted bill and I’ll be happy to pay any balance. I cannot believe that you can be this DISHONEST and continue to be in business.

CenturyLink response

Hello, William. I can definitely understand why you would be frustrated and I'm sorry we haven't been able to resolve your billing issues as of yet. If you send us a message on here, I can go over your billing and see where that amount is coming from. I look forward to working with you.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2019

Centurylink is sending me a bill for services that was never installed. I don’t have no services with CenturyLink. This is fraud and will hire an attorney if services isn’t canceled immediately. I have Cox Communications not CenturyLink. Nobody came to install services.

CenturyLink response

Hello Sherelle - we'd be happy to take a look into this for you, so that we can get this billing issue resolved. Just let us know if you'd like our help by responding to us here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CenturyLink?

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

They don't care about our service. The DSLAM is old and I've been told by a number of field techs the copper is corroded and falling apart. The internet consistently fails daily and the automated sales pitch keeps telling I'm available for higher data speeds. We're on 20mb now and that's the only option available. The repair techs are out at the DSLAM almost seemingly daily. Sad, infuriating, life wasting service. I should count the hours of life I've spent waiting on hold, verifying the account and talking to foreigners who don't understand English.

CenturyLink response

Hello Erik, we could understand how it would be frustrating to deal with the limited service availability. We'd be happy to take a look into your service and account, and answer any questions you may have - just let us know if you'd like our help by responding to us here. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

I have been in my current area for 1-1/2 years and the only Broadband offered is CenturyLink or satellite. I have had 4 outages during this time, the latest today, none were weather related, either cable or equipment failure. When I called support services, I explained that this problem has not been rectified because a stretch of highway on our road, the phone cable has been laying on top of the ground ever since I been here. Each time DOT does work, the cables gets damaged. Once again, I'm without phone or internet from CenturyLink, but they are quick to send me a bill for service. This company needs to go out of business or sell to someone who truly provides outstanding service to their customers.

CenturyLink response

Hello Calvin, we could understand how these circumstances would be frustrating, and apologize that the issue with your service hasn't been rectified. We'd like to look into this for you, to get the line issue resolved - just let us know if you'd like our help by responding to us here.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

On June 25 I called CenturyLink and requested upgraded service. We currently have a 1MBPS speed rate. Today is August 6th, this service request has not only not been completed, it has become a source of contention. I have spent hours on the phone and with CENTURYLINK’s online customer service to address the delay. So far, five techs and contractors have been to my property. One disconnected our service!!! I realize CenturyLink has no competitors in the area we own a home. We are beholden to this unbelievably bad service. But FFS why on earth has 40 days passed by with zero ZERO Z E R O follow through on their part??? It is wrong and an I am at my wits end dealing with The buffoonery that is CenturyLink.

CenturyLink response

Hello, Elena. I can definitely understand why you would be upset and I'm sorry we haven't been able to get your services upgraded as of yet. If you send us a message on here, I can go over your account and figure out exactly what's going on. I look forward to working with you.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

Updated on 08/17/2019: Update to my previous review so consumers know the full story- I will continue to post reviews and updates here: I am STILL waiting on internet. I placed the order 7/29 and specifically asked the customer service agent that they check that I would be able to have internet through CenturyLink and told him my issues with waiting for Xfinity. He promised that I would be able to get internet. The tech FINALLY arrived and let me know that we would have to wait for them to have cabling/fiber optics (not sure of the exact verbiage) installed as the previous owner whom had Century Link had a lower speed.

I SPECIFICALLY went with Century Link because of this issue and now have to wait AGAIN! The installer even recommended that I may want to go to Xfinity as Century Link may not want to install the lines?! I received a voicemail 8/14 stating that the order is still in the queue but could be an additional 2-3 weeks. :( I also received an order confirmation that was sent to my previous address (thank God for USPS forwarding) stating that my bill was more than double what I had been told and that I would be charged for the modem and installation (both fees that I was informed would be free). I am beyond frustrated! I have no internet. Am stuck with a tv subscription that I now no longer want because I would rather go back to Xfinity. This is NOT good enough.

Original Review: I called last week to schedule internet through CenturyLink as Xfinity needed to come back and install a line which would have taken 2-3 weeks. For anyone with children you'd know that's too long! I waited at home twice due to miscommunication and both times a technician did not attend. Called and spoke to 4 different people. Each who had different stories as to what had happened, who had no authority to actually help or solve the problem. After apeaking with three different people and being on the line for 40 minutes with a person who said a technician was scheduled to come out that day 8/6 between 8am and 6pm. After that last two people had said there was a future dated installation scheduled that would need to be corrected by customer service.

I asked to speak to a Manager to ensure I was getting the correct information and then line then dropped! No one called me back. Called again and spoke with someone who EVENTUALLY helped me and now I have to spend another morning off of work just to get internet! Nothing was offered to compensate the loss of my time nor even an apology. They also sold me DirecTV in a bundle so now I'm stuck with that as I can't cancel it since it's been installed. I wish I had just stayed with Xfinity!

CenturyLink response

Hello, Jade. I'm so sorry it took us so long to get the tech out there and to find a solution to your problem. It shouldn't take that long to find a resolution. I would be happy to investigate this for you and see if we can adjust your bill at all. Send us a message on here and I can get started.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

I have honestly not had a worse experience working with any service provider, of any sort, ever. First and foremost, I called CenturyLink late evening to have service connected in our new home, they booked installation for the following day between 8:00am and 12:00. I took the day off of work, and guess what... They never showed up! I called in, and they couldn't figure out what happened. So the technician said, "no worries I can help", so she nonchalantly BOOKED THE INSTALLATION 3 WEEKS OUT... And all I received was "we are busy". Ummm, then hire people! I then thought about it for a minute, and came to an understanding that every business has busy times. However, I soon learned that "busy times" had nothing to do with the issue. It has now been 3 months since we started receiving service, and on 3 different occasions we have needed tech support, in which the soonest we were serviced in all three instances was 11 days!!!!

Next issue, started receiving mail for 3 different account numbers... I gave CenturyLink a call, and they said I called 3 times and set up 3 different accounts for the same address. Not only was that completely false considering the single 30 minute call I had to initiate service, the technician was insulting through the entire conversation. This is the real kicker... 24 hours later our service was disconnected due to "non-payment". I called customer service, sat on hold for 45 minutes, and had a 60 minute conversation with a technician that was incredibly rude. She said "As I can see here, you do not have a payment due until August 3rd, so you are all good on our end. Is the modem plugged into the wall?" With 2 other phone conversations, and an online text conversation, everyone confirmed that same thing.

So they went ahead and scheduled an equipment repair, 2 WEEKS OUT! Not to mention, it was explained to me that I would have an $85 fee to fix the equipment... Are you ** kidding me???? In the end, guess what, there was another hidden account THAT HAD BEEN SET UP FOR OUR HOME. So there was "non-payment" on an account that wasn't even valid, and in-turn our service was disconnected. After 3 weeks of speaking with CenturyLink for countless hours, they finally figured it out with countless human hours spent on a ridiculous situation. Typically I would just disconnect service, but they are the only internet service provider in the city of Chanhassen MN, which is why they don't give a ** about their customers here. ABSOLUTE WORST COMPANY I HAVE WORKED WITH ON ANY LEVEL.

CenturyLink response

Hello, Cory. I can definitely understand why you would be frustrated. I would be too if I had to wait so long to get my services restored. I would be happy to go over your account and resolve all the issues you have been experiencing. Send us a message on here and I can get started.

CenturyLink Company Information