formerly Qwest

3.6/5 (1937 ratings)

About CenturyLink

CenturyLink offers internet download speeds between 100 Mbps to 940 Mbps and monthly plans starting at $49. It provides bundling services for residential and small business customers and serves 36 states. Not all states in CenturyLink’s converge area will have fiber optic options. CenturyLink breaks its internet services down into two main categories: the DSL plan and the Fiber Gigabit plan.

Pros

• Great for gamers
  • Up to 940 Mbps
  • No contracts

Cons

• Gigabit not available in all areas
  • Not available in all states

Bottom Line

CenturyLink offers internet, home phone and TV programming services. Most internet options are best for basic internet speeds on a few devices, but the Fiber Gigabit plan is good for heavy internet users.

CenturyLink Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CenturyLink?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about CenturyLink?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: Oct. 30, 2021

My account was closed on March 2020. This month, Century Link is asking for a payment of $180 and even asked for a credit debt collector company. My experienced with them is the worse. They created 2 accounts for me but I only need one for the wifi. Asked them to closed the other one said they closed it already. They’ve been charging me twice since then That's why we stopped using their company. For the readers you’ll regret it if you use Century Link!

Good morning,

I apologize for any billing issues you have encountered, as this is not the experience we want our customers to have. I would be happy to help you. Please send me a private message.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

Never again will I use Century Link! Duke Energy cut my internet line while working next door. I called Century Link to let them know my internet was out. Mind you this was at 9am this morning. They told me that someone will be at my home to repair it tomorrow between 8am and 5pm. Okay so I have to take not one but two days off of work because you don't have prompt service like you say? Totally ridiculous!!

Good morning,

I apologize for the issues you are experiencing with the internet as I understand the importance of staying connected. I am very sorry we can not dispatch a tech same day as they have already been sent the tickets for the day to be worked from the issues previously reported. If there is anything I can help you with, please send me a private message.

Cherie

Original review: Oct. 18, 2021

A repair person came to install a new modem and upgrade our service. Since he couldn't upgrade (as per his supervisor) he disconnected our service. The disconnect took place at 6 pm which is when you can no longer get any help with from a service person until 8 am on Monday. I made four phone calls, yes four, because they would hang up. I talked to a gentleman with chickens in his house, another woman with screaming children. After two hours. I gave up. On Monday at 8 am I called again. Have been hung up on twice. Have made four phone calls. Repeat the answers to the same questions over each time. They ask for a call back number in case you get disconnected, no one has called back yet. At the moment I have been on the phone for 2 hours and thirty minutes. All they have to is turn the internet back on. Worst customer service ever.. Do not recommend!!

Good morning,

I am very sorry to hear about the issues you have encountered with your service and when trying to reach tech support to have a tech dispatched. I understand how important it is to stay connected and I would be happy to review your account. Please send me a private message.

Cherie

Original review: Oct. 16, 2021

Centurylink is terrible. Customer service is dismal at best. I have had a technician out 15 times this year. It worked for 2 months, one time. On and off almost daily. Talking to them on the phone or internet is an effort in futility.

Good morning,

Thank you for reaching out via this channel. I apologize for the issues you are experiencing with your service, as I understand the importance of staying connected. I would be happy to review your account. Please send me a personal message.

Cherie

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

We waited for CenturyLink to hook up our internet for 4 weeks. We received the modem today and attempted to hook it up. They cancelled our install without notification and blamed us for their stupidity.

Good morning,

I apologize for the issues you encountered when trying to get new service with CenturyLink as this is not the experience we want our customers to have. If there is anything I can help you with, please send me a private message.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

CENTURYLINK has had a bad reputation for a long time. I have helped a lot of my computer customers when they have had problems with the internet service. I recently moved in a new neighborhood and was dreading having CenturyLink. I went online to find out about service and was pleasantly surprised to see high speed service at a very reasonable price. I was able to order it and have the new router and installed it myself with some phone help. It was very easy to set up and is working like a champ. I'm getting 50-60 Mbps on a stable line and even had it at 70 Mbps. Upload runs consistently at 20 Mbps. It's great for streaming tv and many other options.

Hello Nancy,

We're glad that your experience with us has been going well so far. However if that changes please let us know and reach out to us here or at any of the following contact options:
Facebook - www.facebook.com/CenturyLink/
Twitter - twitter.com/CenturyLinkHelp

Contact Us - www.centurylink.com/home/help/contact.html

Have a great day.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

I work for the county government, and one of the phone lines is down. I have been on the phone with CenturyLink for the past four days trying to get a technician to come and fix the phone line with no dial tone. This is our office's main phone line, and we are getting complaints from clientele that needs our service. So we are going to find another phone company. I am not a happy customer. I would highly advise anyone, DO NOT CHOOSE CENTURYLINK!

Hello John,

I’m sorry the phone service has not been repaired. I’d love to take a look at your account and see what we can do to help. Please send us a private message.

Sabrina

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

Because the pandemic there is an emergency brand program and it removes 50 dollars from your monthly bill every month. Making mine only 15 dollars a month. They refuse to allow me to use the program stating the information doesn't match. This is a lie. They have the same info the government has and they refuse to handle the problem. Now I have not had internet for a month. The tech came out and told me another technician cut my service wires and left them. After the tech said he fixed the problem and left the problem in fact was not fixed. The internet would say it was connected but the service wasn't working. The troubleshooter on the app told me that the problem could not be fixed remotely and a technician was needed. Yet 5 times each tech proceeded to tell me there was no problem and I needed to upgrade my service package. This is a lie also.

Finally someone listened and made an appointment for another tech appointment. They texted me this morning saying they found and fixed the problem and they were cancelling my appointment unless I respond keep. They don't allow you to respond. It's a scam. I got on the app and in fact said I wanted to keep my appointment for tomorrow for a tech. They just now texted me again and said they cancelled my tech appointment because they havent heard from me. This is a lie. I am so angry.

The EBB program warned us that providers are taking advantage of this credit by internet throttling and slowing down service until we are forced to upgrade our package. I qualify for the ebb program and did everything appropriate yet they refuse to allow me to participate. Before the tech cut the line we had no problem with speed. And we are told that there is no data cap also. Yet this is the excuse they use for service that isn't working properly. They owe me a credit for the last 4 months 50 dollars as I'm only to be paying 15 dollars on the program. Since last month we haven't had working service and now they cancelled the tech appointment claiming the problem is fixed when it is not fixed. A lot of nerve this company has.

Hello,

I’m sorry you’re experiencing issues with your service. I’d love to take a look at your account and see what we can do to help concerning the repair and the EBB discount. Please send me a message.

Sabrina

Original review: Oct. 2, 2021

We moved and the only service available is CenturyLink where we live. They have 40mps available and that is it. We had Charter internet in the past and it worked great. The speed is extremely slow and their solution to get you a higher speed is to unplug items in your house. We are not gamers or do a lot of streaming. We have 2 people in the house and should not have a problem like this. After a long chat service with the rep that is 5 hours ahead of me his solution is that I unplug items not in use. I guess I can get rid of my security system and other items that use Wi-Fi. Nowadays we know that everything we buy has a Wi-Fi hook up so we can run remotely. Guess I will have to get rid of technology, since CenturyLink is not going to get with the times!!! Horrible, and as soon as I can get something different I will change immediately.

Good morning,

I’m sorry you’re experiencing issues with your service. I’d love to take a look at your account and see what we can do to help. Please send me a private message.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2021

My internet service stopped working Sept 22 and CenturyLink (CL) didn't schedule a tech for repair until Sept 30 between 8:15 am to 8 pm. They were here by 1 pm, repaired services, but now my internet is down again (same day it was repaired). I telephoned CL 3 times, the 1st two calls were disconnected after 30+ minutes hold time. Was on phone with tech for over an hour and still no internet and they can't get anyone out to repair til Oct 7, 2021 (what a bunch of crock).

Granted they credited my account, but I'm streaming 4 other paid apps that I can't stream bcoz of CenturyLink. CL is full of cow manure. Waited 8 days for 1st service repair, then on the day of repair (Sept 30), I have to wait another 7 days without services again. I am very angry that customers have to wait so long before CL schedule for repairs--RIDICULOUS!!!

Good morning,

I am sorry your service issues were not resolved during the first dispatch. I'll be happy to review your account to further assist. Please send me a private message.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2021

I ordered internet. My appointment was scheduled for today between morning and 5 pm. It is 8:30 pm. I have been calling them all day. Spoke to manager assuring me they will be here. They're running late. I canceled my other internet. I have none. Also I told them I needed internet for my machine for my heart. They again assured me they would be here. I am so pissed my heart is racing. THEY LIED!!! I HOPE THEY READ THIS!!!

Good morning,

I am sorry that your installation was not worked as scheduled. I'll be happy to assist you with resolving this issue. Please send me a private message.

Sabrina

Original review: Sept. 30, 2021

CenturyLink ADSL is the only alternative to Comcast Cable in my town. It provides very reliable service, but low bandwidth speed (barely 12 mbps), which is adequate for downloads and simple streaming. Pricing is a little better than Comcast, but both companies are known for high prices and weak, slow customer service (as regional monopolies, they have no incentive to improve service to customers).

The main advantage of the CenturyLink ADSL is reliability: the only service disruption we have suffered in over 13 years occurred when a building contractor severed the main trunk during a misguided excavation. And then, service was restored in just a few hours. By contrast, the faster Comcast service suffers notoriously frequent outages (at least several times each year, especially during stormy weather). Notes: Our town is in the process of creating a fiber-optic network as a public utility, which is widely popular with the voters. Wireless options are limited and spotty, and 5G networking is years off, if ever.

Good morning, Sanford,

I am happy to hear you have had reliable service with us. I would be glad to review your account and see if any speed improvements are in progress in your area if you would like to send me a private message.

Cherie

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

Service is very slow and drops many times a week. DSL is a dinosaur, this day and age service should be faster and more consistent. Have not had any problems with billing. Looking forward to trying new technologies soon.

Good morning,

I'm sorry you're experiencing issues with the internet. I understand the importance of staying connected and how frustrating slow speeds can be. I would be happy to review your account for any issues. Please send me a private message.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2021

CenturyLink is the worst. Their agents were disrespectful, not willing to help at all. Not just one agent, I spoke with multiple agents and received same behavior. Looking at how consistent they were at not trying to help and being rude, it Felt like they all were trained to talk like that. One of them even suggested to go with different provider. So I took the advice and went other direction.

Issue - couldn't contact technician on day of install. It was Saturday so we chatted with an agent. We're promised that the technician will show up that day. Waited till 9 pm and had to give up. Talking to them again next day, they said they rescheduled us for a week later. We work from home so requested if anything can be done as we needed internet service. No one was willing to help. We were told it is what it is. Next day when we called to request again, we were told that our date was further moved out without even asking us. Again, we were told that they can not do anything. So now we opted different service. Hopefully someone with authority will look into this.

Good afternoon,

I apologize for the issues you experienced when trying to get your service installed and for the lack of communication, as this is not the experience we want our customer to have. I am sorry to hear you have already changed providers. If there is anything I can help you with, please send me a private message.

Resolution response: Oct. 14, 2021

They finally sent someone out and he found the issue and fixed it. I'm good now. 3 stars for taking so long but they did make it right so I'm happy in the end.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2021

Like others have said there really needs to be a way to give a company zero stars. Absolutely horrible service. Been having intermittent issues with internet for 2 months...constantly failing and have to reboot the modem...tried called and online chatting only to be told everything is fine..it's NOT fine. In fact the status on the admin page shows an issue with DSL1. They should be able to see this remotely. I took screenshots and captured video on my phone of the issue but no one cares to review it. T

hey finally agreed to send someone out 2 weeks later...I wait patiently only to have no one show up and the ticket closed.. When I called they said the tech came by and found no issue. The tech did NOT come by...I sat on the patio all morning waiting on them to make sure I didn't miss them. The tech is lying or they never sent someone and just lied to me. Either way they don't stand behind their service. Avoid this company at all costs. Use satellite internet...you will be sorry if you use Century Link.

Good afternoon,

I apologize for the issues you are experiencing with the internet and when trying to get a tech out to repair the service. I understand the importance of staying connected and I would be happy to help you. Please send me a private message.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2021

Installation and service has been perfect! Had to call in once for my router and the problem was solved within minutes. Installation took a whole 10 minutes. I have had zero issues since enrolling back in June.

Good morning, Mark,

Thank you for reaching out via this channel and opening a case with us. I am happy to hear you are enjoying your service and that the issue you encountered with your modem was resolved quickly. Please send me a private message if there is anything I can help you with.

Cherie

Original review: Sept. 25, 2021

Communication was difficult for set up because I was on hold for 30-45 minutes each time. The company who laid wire was different than the company who connected it. The company who connected it was different from the troubleshooter. One hand doesn’t know what the other one's doing. It’s a BIG MONOPOLY!

Good morning, Laura,

Thank you for reaching out via this channel and opening a case with us. I am very sorry for the issues you encountered when trying to get your service connected with us. If there is anything I can help you with, please send me a private message.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2021

In mid August, I had submitted a request to have my internet services transferred to my new address on 9/17. When 9/17 arrived and I had no internet, I checked my online portal which indicated that services would be delayed to 9/22. I received no notice by email, text, or phone call for the delay. However, after talking with three different agents, I finally discovered that there was repair work that needed to be done on the line. So, that's fine. Unforeseen challenges arise. Still, why did I have to call three different people to get to the bottom of this? CenturyLink should be calling me.

It gets worse, however. When 9/22 arrived, I was angered to discover that my services were STILL not transferred and I received no explanation for why. No text, email, or phone call. After talking with three different agents (one of whom wouldn't give me their boss's name), I discovered that a tech was out there but couldn't get into the building. But I received NO PHONE call that they were even there trying to get in!

Services were delayed again to 10/4, but after raising a stink with three more agents, they were able to schedule for 9/27. This was still so unacceptable. I am so disappointed in CenturyLink's customer service and scheduling department. They are filled with unfeeling, unempathetic automatons who do little to actually help resolve the problem. I am going on 10 days without internet which is totally unacceptable. I am livid. Do NOT choose CenturyLink whatever you do.

Good morning,

I am sorry to hear that your appointment keeps getting pushed out. I completely understand how inconvenient a lack of service can be and we understand how important your time is and I apologize if you were not contacted regarding the delay. I would be happy to pass this information along. If there is anything I can help you with, please send me a private message.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2021

The service can be slow at times, especially on the laptops or disconnect for no reason. But this is an improvement from prior service. We pay for the higher speed, not sure if this is worth the higher price.

Good morning,

Thank you for reaching out via this channel and opening a case with us. I'm sorry you're experiencing issues with the internet. I understand how frustrating slow speeds can be and the importance of staying connected. I would be happy to review your account for any issues. Please send me a private message.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2021

I had agent Ricardo ** (in Magna), having set up account, but when the installation guys didn’t show up on time, called him get an update, after that it was hard get hold of him. Until now I still haven’t received my modem which supposed to be 09/22/21, neither I am getting any internet!! But I am being billed, and it’s hybrid work situation. Very bad customer service and they very unprofessional.

Good morning,

I apologize for what you have endured trying to get a tech to your home for installation. This is not the experience we want our customers to have. I would be happy to review your account. Please send me a private message.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2021

Let's face it. Where I live we are limited to Century Link. If there were other services to compete with them, they may be a better company. They don't upgrade their lines, limited to 10mb for the same price that other providers give you 25. Since satellite services are not the answer you're caught between a rock and a hard spot. If it wasn't for the fact that that century link is the only provider I would be shopping around for someone else. One thing I will say though is that their repair techs are excellent. Only trouble is they are continually fixing the same issue every day. Outdated lines and equipment.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

We pay for the maximum speed of up to 10mps (unlimited data) but have never gotten more than 5mps according to speed tests. Upload speeds are between 1-2 mbps which is ridiculous for those of us working from home. We cannot stream movies, and we all have to turn off wifi on our cell phones when someone needs to upload a school or work assignment. Service cuts out often, and customer service is terrible.

Good morning, Jennifer,

Thank you for reaching out via this channel and opening a case with us. I'm sorry you're experiencing issues with the internet. I understand how frustrating slow speeds can be. I would be happy to review your account for any issues. Please send me a private message.

Cherie

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

I pay for 60 mbps internet and we do not receive that much. My phone line works when it wants. My phone line is currently not working and need a repair person sent to my house to fix. The service is not very good. It almost beats Hughes Net.

Good morning, Cindy,

Thank you for reaching out via this channel and opening a case with us. I'm sorry you're experiencing issues with the internet and your phone service. I understand how frustrating slow speeds can be and the importance of staying connected. I cannot dispatch a tech via this channel, but would be happy to review your account for any issues. Please send me a private message if you still need my help.

Cherie

Original review: Sept. 20, 2021

I've had CenturyLink internet for about 5 years now. For a long time they were acceptable, not great - aside from some persistent and frustrating billing issues in the beginning. Now, the service has been quite bad for about 4 months. They've been working on upgrades in my area so I've tried to be understanding, but I'm without internet access for the 4th day in the past 2 weeks and even when it does work it drops in and out so much that it's almost useless. I decided to cut the cord and give up my satellite TV and was glad I did for about 8 months, but now it's frustrating because the service isn't good enough for streaming. I live in an area with poor cellphone service so I rely on a network extender, but that cuts calls off constantly now because of the internet service. If CenturyLink is your only option DO NOT CUT THE CORD. You will regret it. If they're not your only option RUN AWAY SCREAMING!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

I'm disappointed like all of the CenturyLink customers.... I love fiber internet. Excellent speed and ping. But... When I got the internet outage they scheduled my repair appointment in a TWO WEEKS!!!! Whaaaat? Two weeks without an internet?? In the same day I've disconnected centurylink and connected slower internet from another provider. Centurylink customer service is ZERO! You'll stay on a line for hours to connect with a representative and then you'll hear that your repair appointment in 2 weeks. I'm done with centurylink. I'll use slower internet with acceptable customer service and with acceptable repair schedule.

Good morning,

I am sorry for the experience you had with CenturyLink when trying to get your service repaired. Unfortunately because of the rise in COVID, the appointments having been dating out further than normal due to teach availability. If there is anything I can help you with, please send me a private message.

Cherie

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

If you have any other options for the internet than CenturyLink I would use them. I've had CenturyLink for several years and paying my bills on time, then one day it stopped working. I called and they ran several tests. They told me a technician needed to come out and fix it. He called and said it wasn't a modem problem but it was a software problem. He also told me that the company was a terrible mess. I continued to call or use my phone online for several days to try and resolve the problem. They told me for several days there was an outage in the area and it would be fixed by a certain time of day. It was so frustrating because they would give me a day and time when it would be fixed and it never happened.

On day 13 after talking with several representatives, One of them told me that my modem was outdated and that was my problem all along. I lost my cool and told her why didn't they tell me this on day one and why didn't they notify me. She hung up on me and I don't blame her because by this point I had nothing nice to say about their company. I then started a chat with a rep to find out how to get a new modem. They just wanted to run more tests and while running a test I lost the chat online. I got a text from someone in the states and miraculously my internet started. I'm left so confused as to what the real issue was all along. It's been a very frustrating 2 weeks.

Good morning,

I apologize for the issues you encountered with the internet and for any inconvenience the outage caused.The estimated time of repair on an outage will change based on the severity of the issue and if parts are required to resolve the issue. I would be happy to review your account and issue credit for the time without service. Please send me a private message.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

Absolutely terrible service. Internet cuts out at least a dozen times per day, from anywhere between five minutes to an hour. Slow speeds when it is working. Would definitely not recommend to anyone in my area. A week to wait for a technician to fix the ongoing issues is just ridiculous. With children doing virtual learning, this is especially frustrating. A waste of money each month, honestly.

Good morning,

I apologize for the issues you are experiencing with the internet and I understand the importance of staying connected. I would be happy to review your account and ensure you have the first available date for repair that is opened. Please send me a private message.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

I was having construction on my house. They accidentally ripped the connector off the house. I called to see if they would fix it and they told me it was gonna take over a week so when I went to cancel it because I had to find someone else because we've worked from home they decided they were gonna charge me for an entire month instead of prorating it so not only did they not fix my Internet they charged me for services I don't even have anymore. What a lovely company. Do not go to this company.

Good morning,

I apologize for the delay in getting your service repaired and for any billing issues you are experiencing. I would be happy to review your account. Please send me a private message and we can get started.

Cherie

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

Pedestal box by the road was left open and I tried to let them know. It took me over 1 1/2 hour on the phone and also trying to chat on the internet with someone. They scheduled an appointment for 11 days later to close the box.

Good afternoon,

I am very sorry for the trouble you encountered when trying to reach repair to report the issue with the pedestal. I am happy to hear you have now had a ticket for repair placed. Repair does schedule the ticket based on the first available date for a tech. If there is anything I can help you with, please send me a private message.

Cherie

Original review: Sept. 5, 2021

Ordered service back on July 29th. Still have got my internet thru their Quantum Fiber service they offered. Been pushed back 3 times. Never seen such a poorly ran company. They promise they get it done and here I sit still no internet service and a technical service person telling me here's the cold hard facts.

Don't want them. Just the service I paid for which they had no problem taking. If you order get ready for a long painful wait.

CenturyLink Company Information