1.16/5

formerly Qwest

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

4273 CenturyLink Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

Called to set up telephone and internet. The lady was so spacey. This new service was a new construction and I repeatedly told her that. She seemed more interested in selling me something at my home (where I already had service). I was on the telephone with this woman more than 45 minutes. Got an email a day later saying they had an issue that there were not enough picks at the service area. I didn't read the email well and called customer service where I was told I could not have service until someone move away from the area. I thought that was not correct so I read the email more carefully and found a new number for my situation. The lady to whom I spoke was really good and gave me the information, telling me they were working on it and would let me know.

I got an email a couple of days later saying everything was good and ready to go. An appointment had been scheduled for the following Friday 8-5 time frame. I drove more than 1 hour to get to the house at 7 AM and stayed until 1 PM. I called customer service trying to get a better grasp on when the tech would come. The lady told me that I did not need to be at the house and asked me if I had received the modem. I told her yes and that it was in the house, did I need to leave it outside but she said no it would be fine. I left and the tech came later.

I went to the house with someone to help get the modem set up on the following Wednesday as the people who were doing the security system were due there on Thursday and they needed either the phone or the internet working. Nothing had been hooked up. I called customer service who had a heck of a time finding the address as I did not know how the lady had set up the account. I finally asked for a supervisor and got Tracey. Meanwhile, another person in our party called the "special number" we had been given on the delay. She got Wendy. Wendy set up an appointment for the next day, November 1. Tracey confirmed this and both said it was for a morning call. I explained that I would need to cancel the security people if that was not the case but they felt sure a tech would be there.

I went to the house at 7:00 AM again. The security guy came and stayed until 3:00 PM waiting. I called both the special number and the customer service numbers all day. I knew the work had been done on the delay but most of those folks knew about what they were saying so I felt better talking to them. However, at one point, John, in this department told me that this really was not his issue and would not help me anymore. I spent more than 3 hours on the phone with CenturyLink today.

At 5:00 PM, I called customer service and was on the phone with them 1 hour and 7 minutes. I spoke with 2 different ladies and both tried every way to get the tech to call me, to call them, just let someone know. He never did and since he had not all day I never had much hope. I will mention here that I had to go outside and up the hill to a neighbor's house (she was not at home) in order to get cell service to make these calls.

The last call I placed at 5:05 PM and at 5:23 it started pouring rain. I had been at this house for more than 10 hours. I had not brought lunch so I had nothing to eat all day and now I was standing in the pouring rain at 50 degrees. No, Eric the tech never responded to anything and I stayed at the house until it got dark. The lady in the expedited department told me she would call back with some information after I got home. It is now 8:30 and I don't hold out much hope for that either. CenturyLink should be forced to shut their doors but unfortunately they are the only game in town for some areas.

CenturyLink response

Hello Tracie, we are sorry to see that the missed appointments put quite a delay in your plans- we'd like to look into this for you, and answer any questions you may have. Just let us know if you'd like the help by responding here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

I was a Qwest user for years and loved them. Then CenturyLink bought them out. The bill has been creeping up for years. For the first 5 years or so home service went up $1 to $2 every year like clockwork. Now the bill for 2 phone lines and Internet at my business, which was already more than I was paying for 6 cell phone lines from T-Mobile, all with unlimited data, just jumped more than 30% because my contract expired. $265 a month for 2 ancient landlines and 12M Internet service.

T-Mobile Line Link only adds $10 a month to my existing bill and connects to my existing phone on the wall. Another Internet Service Provider in my small town will give me 20M service with 5M upload (was getting 2M upload) for $55 a month. A full $200 cheaper than my last bill, a few dollars more than 1/3 of my "normal" bill. They have these arbitrary "plans" which they set you up on so that when your contract expires the bill gives you sticker shock and they can corral you into a new contract with the promise of savings. They claim they cannot give you the actual cost you will be paying, that the taxes and fees are calculated at the time the bill is sent. The result is that the bill you get is never anywhere NEAR what they quoted you. I was on a "really old plan"...you know, the one set up when my TWO YEAR contract was set up. Yeah, that's ancient.

I would have fallen for it again, but the first thing I told support was that if I had to pay this ridiculous bill it would be the last one I paid with them. Well, since I "used the service", there was nothing they could do. Nevermind. Nobody told me that my already overpriced service was going up by a third when I was "using that service". In what universe is a landline worth $75 a month and paltry 12M Internet worth $115? That may not be how it breaks down, but there is no way to make those numbers any better than that. If the landlines were only $50 a month (STILL way too high) then the 12M Internet would be $165 a month. Will never be a CenturyLink customer again.

CenturyLink response

Hello Kirby, we can understand the frustration of trying to get your billing explained and lowered, and we'd like to look into this for you, as well as answer any questions you may have. Just let us know if you'd like the assistance by responding here. We look forward to hearing from you.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Simply put... don't use them... They have the worst customer service around. I know all of the top cable and internet providers are usually tough to deal with but CenturyLink is on a whole new level (much lower) from their absurd price increases after contract, to their totally unintelligible customer service staff were one department doesn't know about the other. After finally switching, the return process is almost impossible. On top of everything they ding you with a bill on the way out, I'm sure they will also charge for their equipment when it's sent to the wrong location (that they tell you to send it).

CenturyLink response

Hello Dan, while we are sorry that your negative experiences with us caused you to cancel your services, but we'd like to look into any questions or concerns you may still have. Just let us know if you'd like the help by responding here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

Every time I have to call CenturyLink for customer support, they frustrate me so badly that I end up in tears. Not only does almost every phone call take at least an 40 minutes to an hour out of my day, but I never get anywhere with them. They refuse to put anything in writing, ie, any "resolutions" to problems, therefore allowing them to wriggle out of ownership of said problems. They claim that they are not able to email. An internet provider, unable to email. It is laughable. Their employees are trained to lie, ie an employee claiming to be a supervisor gave me a fake name and employee number. When I tried to call him back I was informed that this person did not exist and that they had no record of his number. This happened after they charged me, 3 months later, for a modem that I returned.

Flash forward to me having to use them again (I live in an area that there is NO other choice). Still refusing to email me anything confirming what I was signing up for. Because I had no other choice, I went ahead and signed up for service with them. For some reason, between the time that they sent me my modem and the time that it arrived, they canceled my service. When I called about this (the person coming to install it informed me), they said that I had called and canceled. I NEVER made that call. Finally got that all straightened out and it was only set up 9 DAYS late.

Flash forward again. My payment date got rescheduled for some reason. I called to find out what was going on. Was advised that because of the initial mistake of them canceling my service that they had moved my payment to a week later. This was 6 months ago. I tried to get my payment date moved back, because I am a little anxious about things like this. And with CenturyLink, there was no way of knowing whether or not this would come back to bite me in the end. They told me it was impossible to change it back. When I finally got a chance to speak to a supervisor about it, he advised that it was, in fact, just an accident. He promised he would get it fixed, and that he was PERSONALLY going to call me back to follow up. No call ever came from him.

I finally called a week later, for 2 reasons. 1) To follow up on previous issue and 2) Because my automatic payment had not gone through due to me having left my credit card somewhere and my bank restricting its use. I was calling specifically to make that payment. The supervisor previously mentioned is the person I spoke to. I advised him of what happened, asked him why he did not call me (he claims he did, but I had no missed calls on my phone and no messages from him) and I made the payment with him. He advised that the problem was being worked on (it is 2 weeks later and it still has not been fixed yet). I gave him all of my card information because he advised me that he could not just pull it from the automatic payment information.

While we were on the phone, I confirmed the payment went through and he said yes and that my service would be restored. Sure enough, when I got home, the service was back on within an hour. During this phone call, he tried to tell me that I was lucky, because I was getting 9 days of free service from them, which is not correct. If they in fact did fix it, then I would lose that 9 days when my next payment came due. And if it was in fact moved because of the initial service mistakenly getting delayed, then they owed me those 9 days anyway.

Now, here it is another week later and no payment has been charged to my card yet and the payment date is still incorrect. I called, again, to find out what was going on and was informed that no payment had been made (although my service has been restored). I spoke to the person I made the payment with and he claims I refused to make the payment, reminding him that the only thing I refused was the refund for those 9 days, because his math was wrong and I did not want to take the chance that that would also come back to bite me. I went over, in great detail, everything that happened during our phone call last week, including the part about how my service was restored because I made the payment with him, and he still refused to acknowledge that he did anything wrong. CENTURYLINK IS THE ABSOLUTE WORST! It makes me sick to my stomach that I don't have any other choice for internet.

CenturyLink response

Hello Annesa - we apologize that you have not been properly helped with your account, and the initial cancelation brought about account issues. We'd like to look into this for you, and answer any questions you may have. Just respond here to get started, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

I set up my account online and scheduled an appointment for installation. I got an email confirmation. My appointment window came and went, nobody showed up. I called to see what the deal was and was told it actually never got scheduled because of the way my account got set up. This was on a Friday so I was told I’d have to call back Monday to get it scheduled. I called Monday morning and was told they came and nobody was home so they left a call tag and I would have to reschedule. I was home the whole time, nobody came, no call tag was left. They told me the soonest they could get back was in a week! I even talked with a “supervisor”. So frustrating! So now I have to go a week without internet... I have kids who need to do homework, my husband and I both do some work from home. We are having to use our hotspots on our phones in the meantime, which I’m sure won’t be cheap. I sure hope they show up next time.

CenturyLink response

Hi Nicole, we can understand how a twice missed appointment would be frustrating for you, and would love to look into this for you. If you'd like assistance with this issue, or need questions answered, please let us know by responding here. We look forward to hearing from you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CenturyLink?

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

Pissed off customer. Been waiting 2 months on an installation. Had an appointment 10-30-2018. The tech never showed or called. All I got was the runaround and put through to multiple people just to tell me once again it's been rescheduled AGAIN without consulting me first!!!

CenturyLink response

Hello Misty - we apologize that you've had to wait for a decent amount of time in order to get your services installed. We'd like to look into this for you, and answer any questions you may have. Just let us know if you'd like the help by responding here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

We put in a repair order with CenturyLink last week and was scheduled for today Oct. 30th, 2018 between 9AM and 1PM. I took the morning off from work as 4 hours of vacation time to meet repair technician. CenturyLink only form of communication with me was the chat feature which is virtually worthless in terms of keeping a customer apprised of specific times the technician will show up to the job. The "Where is the Technician" feature was not accurate as the Technician didn't show up at appointed time. The Tech didn't bother to call the number left with the Chat Line Rep. The estimated arrival time was updated on the "Where is the Technician" feature to 1:30PM to 3:15PM and again, no show, no call from the technician and again I was left hanging and ended up burning the whole day waiting needlessly.

Had CenturyLink extended the courtesy of calling me and telling me they could not do the repair today. I would not have burned a full day of vacation. Now CenturyLink Tech rep has pushed the scheduled repair to tomorrow which I cannot make. The Public Regulation Commission of New Mexico should review this issue as no doubt that other CenturyLink Customers are receiving the same "Bottom Level" service that I received which is extremely costly considering that a customer has to take off work due to CenturyLink's inept scheduling and customer communication system. CenturyLink's apathy toward customers is apparent in their system of doing business. I am utterly frustrated with CenturyLink's poor service and inability to talk to their customers.

CenturyLink response

Hello Jim, we understand the frustration that stems from missed appointments and wasted time- we'd like to look into this, and answer any questions you may have. Just let us know if you'd like the help by responding here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

New business account. Was told I will receive email with a code to create account. Never received and got service disconnected. I called and had to pay the bill. I explained that I was waiting for my code to look at my bills before I can make a payment and that is the reason. Following month still no email. I called and they bypass system and helped me create account login. Surprise surprise 110$ charge for reconnecting service. I explained that I never received the code that I was waiting for but they didn't care and they won't admit it was their fault. I am going to take the loss and pay early termination fee of 400$ and find different provider that actually care about customers.

CenturyLink response

Hello Ai, we apologize that you were not properly helped with creating your business account online and over the phone. We'd like to look into this for you, and answer any questions that you may have. Just let us know if you'd like the help by responding here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

Short version... 10 calls, 14 transfers, hung up on 3 times. All to be told they would not accommodate our schedule and we needed to lose a days work to wait for a tech or continue to be without internet. How can you conduct business with such terrible people skills? You are a disgrace to do business with and we will be looking for another provider. Deplorable customer service and an embarrassment to your industry.

CenturyLink response

Hi Desiree, we'd like to look into this issue in regards to the repair scheduling, and answer any questions you may have. Just let us know if you'd like help with your concern by responding here, and we'll take it from there. We look forward to hearing from you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

16-year customer Res & Bus treated so poorly for the last 8 months! I am finally done. Krystal in escalating or retentions was my determining factor today. My story is too long for here. But in a nutshell, these guys don’t care about customers, obviously. I have been chasing them since Feb to find out why I can’t get online to my account. Every month, sometimes several times per month, I get told there are no problems or issues with my account and they don’t know why I can’t get online. Well today, I demanded an answer. 2 people later, the first Victor was the brain and I commend him for taking the time to get an albeit bogus answer then sending me to this Kristal.

She could have been a hero. Obviously, I’m stupid enough to have been swayed every month to keeping my crap Prism service for almost a year, calm me down with truth, I’ll be loyal. But she dug her heels in and that entire department are a bunch of no good employees. 16 years of never missing a payment and she wouldn’t go off her BS “Is there anything else I can help you with?” Just use her tiny brain, 8 mos of me calling there to pay asking what was wrong and hearing my account was perfect and they’d be happy to take my payment over the phone yet I can sign online, I’m restricted. There’s a story here! You find some bogus insufficient funds check returned? Funny, I pay online every month for 16 years, I tell you I have all paperwork, employees names and my bank papers showing there were no insufficient funds to CenturyLink.

Proving by my account, no $30 some odd dollar fee from my bank in February, I pay online 16 years, I have been calling for almost a year asking why I can’t pay online, documented employees names and dates stating there’s no issues on my account for 8 months. But she stuck to her story rather than trying to figure out what really happened. I’m done. They took all the Prism discounts to force us to go with DirecTv. Don’t do it, your year 2 of your contract (that they change all the time, but hold you to) will be $300!! Don’t get treated like I am. I’m so angry. Don’t use them, you’ll be sorry. I sure am.

CenturyLink response

Hello Lori, we're sorry to see that your 16 year tenured experience was soured with one phone call. We'd like to look into this for you, and answer any questions you may have. Just let us know if you'd like the help by responding here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Resolution response: Nov. 1, 2018

Michael with customer care FINALLY took the time to review, find, and fer this issue resolved

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

We have been CenturyLink customers for YEARS!! The customer service has always been top notch. Even as recent as September when I called about our staticky phone lines. We always felt like we were speaking with local people who understood our language and concerns. I even expressed that to my CSR that day in September. WELL OBVIOUSLY THERE HAS BEEN A SHIFT! I live in the Panhandle where on 10/11/18, hurricane Michael devastated our area leaving most of us with no electricity (even to date!) and since I wasn’t sure about income and when I would return to work, I called about options for how they could assist with the financial burden.

The advice was to place my service on “vacation hold” so I did. Which OBVIOUSLY WAS A MISTAKE. I called last week to have the hold removed (after learning that some in our area who are operating off generators were still able to use WiFi) but I was told that it could not be reactive until NOVEMBER 11 AND that the plan we’ve had for years would change!!! The reason given from the lady whose speech was very hard to understand, for the 11/11 date was because of outages but I learned yesterday that is not the case because my neighbor running on generator is using her WiFi.

Therefore, I tried contacting CenturyLink again only to be told by the tech team that I would need to call back Monday and speak to customer care since they are closed on weekend or I could choose chat. So I tried the chat as best as I could on a weak cell signal only to lose connection the first time and the second time to be told the very same thing. But no reason given as to why. And no concern whatsoever. A VACATION HOLD SHOULD NOT BE AN ISSUE TO SIMPLY TAKE OFF!!! What is CenturyLink doing??? AND MY PLAN SHOULD NOT BE CHANGED!!! This is completely unacceptable!!! And this process with CL HAS BEEN THE WORST! Get your customer care team back to caring and back to clear and plain English speaking who are relatable to people’s needs! I will try calling again on Monday and if our service is not restored IMMEDIATELY, I am done with CenturyLink!

CenturyLink response

Hello Sheri- we would like to look into this issue with the seasonal hold, as well as answer any questions or concerns you may have. Just let us know if you'd like help with this by responding here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

We wanted to upgrade our DSL internet speed. Seemed simple enough... Unfortunately, CenturyLink has opened my eyes to how bad customer service can be. We were told by a customer service representative (CSR) (in the Philippines) that we would received a phone call to set up a time for a tech to visit within 3-5 days. After 6 days passed, we called and spoke to another CSR, again, in the Philippines, and were told someone was scheduled to arrive at our home the next week. We asked when we were supposed to receive a phone call to set up a time... She had no answer. We were advised to call during the week and speak to a supervisor.

Fast forward to the first supervisor. We were told a tech would be at our home on 10/25/2018 between 8:00 am and noon... which required my wife to take off work. At around 11:30 on 10/25/2018, no one has showed up, so we called and spoke to another supervisor. This supervisor said no tech is coming because the scheduled time was for DECEMBER 25th, 2018 - Christmas Day. I can't make this stuff up. So, a new scheduled time was set - for today, 10/27/2018, between 8:00 am and 11:00 am.

Once 11:00 came and went, we called CenturyLink. Again, we had to speak to someone in the Philippines who speaks broken English. What were we told? The tech had already responded to our home... The Bank of America building in another city. (We are not associated with Bank of America in any way - I have no idea how they got that address.) So, here we are - no one is coming and the bar has been set to new heights on how incompetent a company can be. If I operated like this at work, I would be unemployed. How is CenturyLink still in business???

CenturyLink response

Hello Stuart, we understand the frustration that stems from not getting the proper help needed to upgrade service, as well as dealing with missed appointments. We'd like to look into this for you, and answer any questions you may have about your service- just let us know if you'd like the help by responding here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I'm writing today to share possibly the most terrible customer service experience I've ever had. After being a CenturyLink Business member for over 4 years, due to pricing we decided to switch over to Spectrum. Spectrum came out 4 times to port over our phone lines and each time were told that the numbers were not ready to be ported from CenturyLink. Each time we had to pay for our 3rd party phone systems vendor to be on site and then leave without doing the work. After finally successfully porting on the 4th attempt and getting our final bill, I reached out to customer service to discuss a credit for these charges we incurred. After speaking with a very professional and amicable rep I was transferred to an "Escalation Manager" named George.

This man's demeanor, attitude, aggressiveness and overall rudeness would have been unacceptable from a waiter at Dick's Last Resort. He spoke over me, constantly telling me "SIR SIR SIR, YOU'RE NOT LISTENING SIR" as I was trying to understand why he was unable to provide the credit. My additional questions were met with "SIR I ALREADY EXPLAINED THIS TO YOU. SIR LISTEN TO ME". George then put icing on the cake by telling me to "See things from his perspective, to put myself in his shoes. That he found it frustrating that he had already explained it to me and I didn't get it." That's correct. It was frustrating for HIM to have to explain CenturyLink's policies to a business customer who called into a CUSTOMER SERVICE CENTER, WHICH IS WHERE HE WORKS!!!

This is who you hire not only to represent your business but to act as a manager?!? I'm honestly sick to my stomach over how upsetting this experience was and will be sharing this with any other person/business (including the 400+ business in the local Chamber of Commerce of which we are board members of) that mention CenturyLink as a potential vendor. If the answer was going to be no, we cannot help you with these charges then the message could have been delivered in a different manner. Maybe one with some deference and respect for the more than $15,000 dollars in business we gave you.

CenturyLink response

Hello Roger, we apologize that your concern was not handled in a professional and efficient manner, and that you are no longer a customer of ours. We'd like to look into this for you, and answer any questions you may have. Just let us know if you'd like the assistance by responding here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

Dear CenturyLink, Thank you SO MUCH for saving me the trouble of getting your service. I live in the country where technology is hard to come by, so when a friend recommended you (they are artists and inhale a lot of fumes) I called to see if you could provide local phone service, internet, and TV to our home. Our address was not in your system, so after a glorious 45 minutes of being placed on hold and transferred to the "installation team." I spoke with a man who could barely be understood.

Now, I'm a foreign language teacher, so accents don't bother me, but you know what does bother me?? When someone in Mexico asks me for my SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER so that they can run a credit check on me to see if I might be able to get service. EXCUSE ME??? You want me to give men in Mexico my SSN so that you can tell me if I'm able to get cable TV??? My future self is elated to not have had to deal with the hassle of your ridiculous technologically-incoherent policies and lack of customer service. We might live in the country but we're not complete morons.

CenturyLink response

Hello Rick, we are sorry that you're not a customer of ours at this time- we do want to let you know that we are available to look into any concerns you may have, as well as answer any questions. Just let us know if you'd like help by responding here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

Overpaid on my account in error. Paid $650.00 and bill was 38.84 on Aug 25. As of today they have still not processed my refund and continue to give me a different story each time. They say that they are following procedure, which means anytime you overpay this is how they proceed. Never will use them again.

CenturyLink response

Hello Linda, we apologize that you have not yet received your refund, and felt that you haven't gotten the necessary assistance to move forward on this issue. We'd like to look into this for you, and answer any questions you may have. Just let us know if you'd like the help by responding here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I had an install schedule for today 10-23-18 in Las Vegas NV. I been waiting since 9 o'clock in the morning until 12:30pm where I got an email from the technician named Patrick. Said he will be here around 1pm. Then I thought to myself, that's not bad, good communication. Time gone by, it's 2:30 already, and he still hasn't show up, so I called customer service and found out that the technician had came by and no one answer the door. So I told them that I been waiting all morning, and see if the technician left any note, and found out he went to my neighbor's house, and with no regards, never call or email again.

So I tried to ask him to come back today or tomorrow, the lady at CS told me the tech had already clock out and can't come back today, and I asked for tomorrow and explain it wasn't not my fault that your tech went to the wrong house, so I ask for a manager, then I got this Jerk named Michael. This dirtbag came on and said, "I can schedule you for next week," then I explained the situation again, this dirtbag ask see if I want to cancel the order. Then I was in fire, told him to cancel. So ridiculous, I am hoping someone from higher up can see all these complaints again the company and better trained their staffs.

CenturyLink response

Hello Mu- we want to apologize that the initial setup did not go as planned, and that you were not properly helped getting it rescheduled in our system. We'd like to look into this for you, as well as answer any questions you may have. Just let us know if you'd like the help by responding here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

This is the most ridiculous customer service experience of my life thus far. In the past week I have talked to customer service four times, and each time I am given a completely different answer and asked completely different verifying information on my account. It is like I am talking to four different companies. I asked to talk with a supervisor today and was refused because they couldn't verify my account.

I told them that that is why I want to talk with a supervisor because there is something confusing happening and I want to figure out how to access my account. Again, the supervisor refused to speak to me. Then they said they emailed me information and my access code, but the email never came. I left the phone call in tears. I am in awe of how difficult this experience has been to get help/info when I have been a customer and had this same account for a decade! It is a total mess. Terrible communication from their customer "care." Currently researching other internet and phone service for sure!!

CenturyLink response

Hello, we understand the frustration that stems from not being properly helped, or having the necessary information beforehand in order to verify your account. We'd like to look into this for you, as well as answer any questions that you may have. Just let us know if you'd like the help by responding here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

Horrible. When calling to set up service the gentleman said he would give me a $40 discount on a $60 service fee. Happily I agreed. When the bill came there was no discount. After speaking to several people one being a manager I was politely told that they don’t discount service fees. After telling him that the conversation was recorded the manager told me that even if the gentleman told me he would give me free service for a year he couldn’t do anything about it. The company doesn’t stand by anything the people say. If I had other options I would change companies in a heartbeat.

CenturyLink response

Hello Dino- we apologize that you weren't properly assisted with the setup and handling of your account. We'd love to look into this for you, as well as answer any questions you may have in regards to your account and service. Just respond to us hear, and we'll get started from there. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

Our CenturyLink bill due Friday and our service was disconnected today. My wife called and they admitted the mistake but now it can take up to 24 hours to be turned back on. This is unacceptable since I'm in school and take online classes.

CenturyLink response

Hello Joseph- we apologize that your services were disconnected in accident, and that you have to wait for them to be restored. We'd like to look into this for you, as well as answer any questions or concerns that you may have about your service. Just let us know if you'd like the help by responding here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

This company is completely and utterly incompetent. I have been trying for 3 weeks to get a technician out. Stayed home 2 days with scheduled times. Here I sit with no tech, no service and angry. Have spoken to at least 10 people with different stories or excuses!!! If you want your blood pressure to remain in the limits do not use CENTURYLINK!!

CenturyLink response

Hello Claire, we understand the frustration that stems from missed appointments and not receiving the proper care to get the service issues resolved. We'd like to look into the installation, as well as answer any questions you may have about your account. Just let us know if you'd like the help and respond here; we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

Last week I canceled Spectrum Broadband Internet, and decided to set up CenturyLink as the price was cut in half over Spectrum. I set up service online, and mistakenly stated I wanted to schedule installation for the 29th of October. A Monday. I realized what I had done almost as soon as I clicked submit and sent the order off, and immediately jumped online to talk to their Customer Service Chat, to reschedule the date for today, 22 October and was assured it was changed. I also received a confirmation email at 8:28 am on Friday 19 October that reaffirmed the installation was to be between 8 am and 12 pm today, 22 October. At approximately 1 pm, I was again involved in a chat with customer support, who told me the Initial installation was not, in fact, for today, but was still scheduled for Monday, 29 October.

After talking to the Customer Support via Chat, I called into the retention team and spoke with a supervisor who transferred me to a Customer Care rep via telephone. She assured me the schedule was correct on her end, and installation would be today, as was confirmed twice last week, but was scheduled between 8 am and 5 pm. At 5:20, with no technician still, I again called back into the line, and was again told that the technician schedule had me down for the 29 October date, and was not, in fact, set for today as was confirmed at this point, on 3 different occasions. I told her this would not work, as I missed a day of work because it was confirmed multiple times that the installation would be today.

I had the final representative cancel the installation altogether, and was informed she would be making detailed notes on my "account" regarding the issues I had with the lies of the installation tech. For a potential would have been customer to be blatantly lied to after multiple confirmations and assurances that I would get the services I signed up for, on the day I was assured I would get them, is ridiculous and not an initial way of creating a welcoming persona around a company, that is supposed to have "Customer Service". I will NOT be recommending this company to anyone due to their failure to provide goods/services as promised.

CenturyLink response

Hello Christopher, we apologize that the initial experience with CenturyLink was negative, and that you were not properly helped to get services installed on the day we provided you with after contact. We understand that you're no longer a customer of ours, but we would still like to look into this for you, or answer any questions that you may have about the account. Please let us know if you'd like the help by responding here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

A technician was scheduled 3x and we would receive a text moments before their arrival canceling appointment. Gave us credits that still have never been received on bill. Actual internet service is terrible too.

CenturyLink response

Hello Michelle, we are sorry to see that your experience with CenturyLink has been negative thus far. We'd like to look into this issue for you, as well as the billing concerns, and answer any questions you may have. Just let us know if you'd like the help by responding here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

CenturyLink told me I would get 50 mbps internet but I received 3 mbps instead. Then the lady lost my information. Called back and they ended up leaving 2 credit check marks on my fiance's credit report. Then we had to wait 3 weeks before service was able to be installed. Come time the date, a person showed up to install TV but I was told the TV would be ground wired but DirecTV is Dish only! Get out! Then they said they had no plans of fixing our internet because it was already supposed to be running which is not what we talked about on the phone! After being on the phone with 7 people for over 8 hours total we were able to CANCEL. I am writing corporate and I will be leaving horrible reviews everywhere!! Scammers!!!

CenturyLink response

Hello Kacie, we're really sorry to hear that we weren't able to install the speed that you were promised, and also that your information was lost which resulted in an unwanted credit check. We completely understand your frustration, and would love to work with you to ensure the best possible resolution is reached. If you'd like our help, please respond here and we can get started.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

This company is ridiculous with their customer service. They don’t care and just want your money. I have to deal with them because this apartment only has CenturyLink. Every time I try talking to someone they just keep transferring me! Also, the guy at the counter said I’d be getting 80 mbps and now I’m just getting 12 mbps! The woman said an engineer needed to go in and put some more wires in and so all they can give me is 12 mbps for now! I asked when it’ll be done and she states “honestly I don’t know... the engineer hasn’t even opened up the problem... they have to see if they can fit any more wires in which they can because I can see it from here. Maybe 3-4 months?” Are you kidding me?!

Then, I get a notice stating that they’re going to charge me a one time fee of $60 for a technician coming to set up my internet... there was no setting up! I already had it hooked up and ready to go the day the internet was turned on. So then they removed that. Then I get this bill stating that I owe them $150 for a modem I didn’t even get! I talk to someone at customer support and he tells me to just send the new modem and they would credit my account for that modem and I said “I never got a new modem and I don’t need one because I’m using my old one.” Then he said “you’ll need to talk to customer care which they’ll be in Monday through Friday 8-5 pm Central time.” How is this company still up and running??

CenturyLink response

Hello Ruthel, we are disappointed to hear about your experience with our customer care, and we appreciate you bringing this matter to our attention. We always want to ensure you receive the assistance you deserve, and so would love to investigate this case for you to secure the best possible resolution. If you'd like our help, please respond here and we can get started.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

If you play games online, use a streaming device such as Roku or a VoIP telephone service. It's best to steer clear of CenturyLink if you can as their internet service is patchy on speed, connectivity and customer service is a joke.

CenturyLink response

Hello Bryan, we're sorry to hear that you haven't had the best experience with our service, or our customer care; we'd love to opportunity to change that. If there is anything you need help with, please feel free to respond to this message and we will ensure you receive the assistance you need.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

My internet went out while CenturyLink was doing work in my neighborhood. I called CenturyLink and I was told there was an outage in my area. The following day I was told there was an issue with my internet and CenturyLink was working on it. Later the same day, I received a text message that the issue had been resolved. I get home and still no internet. I called technical support for the 4th time. The technician finally determined that the issue was not inside my house but the fiber line outside. The same fiber line CenturyLink was working on right before my internet went out. The technician then informed me that they were behind and no one was available to come out for another 4 days.

I work from home and I am not able to go in to the office because my employer is located in another state. CenturyLink has caused me to miss 4 days of work due to their mistake. This is the second time this has happened. The last time I missed two and a half days of work. I plan to switch to another internet provider. I will not continue to put my job in jeopardy due to CenturyLink’s incompetence!

CenturyLink response

Hello, we're very sorry to hear that this outage impacted your work; we realize that service is vital and we'd love to work with you to ensure the best possible resolution is reached. If you'd like our help, please respond here to get started.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

This is one of the many absolutely worthless companies that we are stuck with because they have a monopoly on landline phone service and they DO NOT CARE about their customers. They do not hold their customer support people to any standard either. Nor do their techs know how to repair phone lines. My phone has not worked well for at least 10 years. Many years ago, perhaps five, one of their techs told me I needed to have a new line run, but it was in the winter, so they'd have to come back when the ground was softer. That never happened. So, once or twice a year, or more often, whenever we get a lot of rain, my line goes dead, and they have to come out and "fix" the line. It then will work OK for a while... maybe a day, maybe six months. However, in the past two months, it has not worked at all. Today I called for my fifth technician in two months!

The longest it has worked between technicians is in the neighborhood of two days. Each time I request service, I may have to wait a few days or even a week or longer for their next appointment opening. Their online support is terrible too and the last thing in the world they will ever give you is credit for a service they did not provide! The first gal I got online hung up on me and I had to start all over with a second tech... and this was online! How do you lose someone on line? In the end, I just wanted a phone number to call and talk to someone live, and they said they didn't have that information and couldn't help me! They don't have a phone number? Are you kidding me? Look at all the terrible reviews here. You don't think this starts at the top? It absolutely does. The whole mess ought to be fired, but then, I should be smart enough to abandon my landline phone right?

CenturyLink response

Hello Raymond, we're very sorry to hear that your home phone service has not worked properly for so long; it is very important for you to make and receive phone calls, and we'd love to work with you to advocate for the best possible resolution. If you'd like our help, please respond here and we can get started.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Called for an issue and was passed around 3 times. Spoke to a rep named “Tiffany” and quickly realized her attitude along with the situation I was in weren’t conducive for one another. I asked to be put back in line and she agreed. I was placed in the Spanish speaking line, and while speaking to the rep Jose, I noticed there was another charge on my card from CenturyLink that I did not authorize. I’d asked the rep I was then speaking to did he process another payment? He said he had not, and it was done by someone named Kimberly **. She was the individual I had just asked to transfer from. She had lied about her name. Transferred me to the wrong line, and processed and unauthorized payment. I’d asked to have my call escalated, and was transferred again.

They were closed at this time, so I had to wait another day. I called today; and had my call transferred to the customer service department of Kimberly **. The woman I spoke to today was absolutely NO HELP!!! After explaining the situation to her, she basically told me there is “no way to determine what is in someone’s heart. And you don’t know if she did these things on purpose.” Got it! Giving a false name doesn’t show “intent”. Passing me to a Spanish speaking line doesn’t show “intent”.

Charging my card for another payment doesn’t show “intent”... the fraudulent payment was made while I was working with another rep... so the excuse of, “maybe she was on the wrong payment screen” is a load of BS! Shouldn’t even be on a payment screen of someone you aren’t speaking to anymore! The service is already terrible, to have them doing fraudulent things like this... I’m good!!! My payment history sucks! Doesn’t mean treat me like crap! Just gonna go back to PlayStation TV.

CenturyLink response

Hello Paul- we're sorry to see that your initial complaint wasn't properly handled, and that an un-authorized payment was deducted on behalf of the account. We'd like to look into this for you, and answer any questions you may have. Just respond to us here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

CenturyLink recently built a fiber optic grid in our area. We have been trying for months to get connected to this service. My neighbors on both sides and across the street have it, yet when I contact CenturyLink, they say the fiber optic high speed is not offered in my area. I have spent countless hours on the phone being placed on hold transferred given another phone number to try. This simply horrible. The amount of time spent on the phone with these people I could literally packed up the things in my home and moved my family to a Comcast service area.

No one at CenturyLink has any idea how to handle anything, just “here try this number”. I was told today, that my home is too new and was built after the design of the fiber optic grid was created, therefore they do not have a place for me in the grid without re-engineering. Who builds a multimillion dollar infrastructure without planning for future growth and development? Pissed off is the nicest thing I can say about Century Link. As others have stated, I’d rate them zero stars if that were an option.

CenturyLink response

Hello Steve- we're sorry to see that you haven't been properly helped with switching your speeds. We'd love to look into this for you, and answer any questions you may have, just let us know if you'd like the help by responding here. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

The Home wireless system did not operate in our home so I returned it and have been charged for four months after disconnecting the equipment, canceling the service with them on the phone and mailing back equipment. Several phone calls and lies later we are put into collections. Even after paying half the unfair charges and told that would settle it. It is an awful customer service network! Strongly advise anyone to steer clear of this company.

CenturyLink response

Hello Marge, we are sorry to see that you are trying to get charges disputed, and haven't received a viable solution. We'd like to look into this for you, and answer any questions that you may have. Just let us know if you'd like the help by responding here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

CenturyLink Company Information