1.18/5

formerly Qwest

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

4411 CenturyLink Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I signed up November 2017 for their price for life internet service. Someone set me up with a 2nd account, then they deleted the wrong account and now deny I had the Price For Life. Customer service? They have NONE. I was put on hold forever every time I called... Chats took forever to respond, calling in more than once only to end up getting so upset that I was YELLING on the phone. (Not like me at all) I have even been told by the complaint department, "Nope you didn't have it." We are sticking with our decision that I am wrong. What? I even sent a letter saying ok. All my calls & phone chats are gone or what? Why not forgive the excess charges fees for the last few months & give the Price for Life. It seems like an easy fix for me and I would be happy with that.

I paid the $65.00 per month from the beginning of the promotion, they should honor. Why would I continue for a year to pay the same amount? It's not my fault they turned off the wrong number for my internet. I feel like they are taking advantage of the situation in that no one else offers the same internet connection speeds that they do in my area. Corner on the market? Unethical. I have NEVER EVER been treated so bad by any company.

CenturyLink response

Hello Susan, we apologize that your account was handled thus, and that you haven't been properly helped to reach a solution with the billing. We'd like to investigate this for you, and answer any other questions you may have. Just let us know if you'd like our help by responding here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I DO NOT RECOMMEND CENTURYLINK. I will never ever use CenturyLink. They have the worst customer service. My stepfather, who owned a CenturyLink account, recently passed away. He did not have a power of attorney or anything similar so we can access his account. We called CenturyLink AND went to a store to return their modem. We kept on asking how we can close the account since we do not have a power of attorney. They said at the store where we returned the modem to “just let it go, it will stop”. Of course, it did not stop, the bills kept on coming so I called again.

My stepdad passed away on February and I took care of the account as soon as he passed out; disconnected and returned modem. However, even if the account has been closed from when he passed, they still charged us $40+ for who knows what. I paid for it because I just wanted to give up dealing with them. Of course, they found another way to charge us—charging us on an “unreturned modem”. I asked to talk to a supervisor/manager when I called the customer service and I was on hold for more than 10 mins just to talk to them. In the end, I was not even connected to a supervisor/manager, just another representative, whom I have to explain the situation again. I was given the finance department’s number to call. Problem’s not fixed. There should be an option to not give any stars. They do not deserve one. I DO NOT RECOMMEND CENTURYLINK.

CenturyLink response

Hello Alyssa- we could understand how this would be frustrating, and would like to offer our assistance if you still have any further questions or concerns. Just let us know if you'd like our help by reaching out here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

If I could give less than one star, I would. I had problems with my internet. This frustrates me because I know that every time I call them I will be frustrated for at least 1 to 2 hours just trying to get a simple problem resolved. They sent me a new modem but arrived late. Due to arrival, I had to leave for my winter home before even opening up the new modem. I called about 6 times trying to get to support. Each time, going through their menu tree (IVR), I would get through then the phone would disconnect almost like they were pushing wrong buttons or deliberately hanging up. I was so frustrated and had no more time to waste at that moment. I am now at my winter home and the modem is at the other location, 1,000 miles away.

I called and got through to Ron, ID ** (in another country). He pulled up my account but said that I needed to speak with customer support so, on hold, I go again for another 25 minutes. I am greeted by Hunter, ID **, he was very nice and said he understands my problem but would need to speak with finance. Thinking Hunter would come back, he instead transferred me... On hold I go again for 37 minutes. Chrisann ID ** now comes on and each time I have to start over. This time, however, Chrisann can't even pull up my account, I have to spell my words for her. She is obviously in another country and not able to understand me. I haven't even got to my problem with her and she put me on hold... I have now been on hold waiting for Chrisann to come back for 46 minutes and still counting.

I have now been on hold trying to resolve a very simple problem for more than two hours. I am afraid to hang up, they have me trapped. I am calling in again from my wife's cell phone while on hold for Chrisann. They have not answered yet and it has been now over two and a half hours... While I am typing a Joyce from billing, ID **, again very strong accent and said she understands my problem and would make notes. She then said that they need to get my modem back in 30 days. I explained that was my problem, it is 1,000 miles away and had they not disconnected on me 6 times when I was with the modem it would have been taken care of, all she would say is she will make notes. To anyone with options, choose anyone other than CenturyLink or you will age faster with grief. Not worth it.

CenturyLink response

Hello Paul - we can understand the frustration of having to hold for an extended period of time, and not getting a one-call resolution. We'd be happy to help, and answer your questions about your service and account. Just let us know if you'd like our help by reaching out to us here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Mother deceased - 2 months before company sent (by mail-no email ability) forms to switch phone into my name so I could pay bill for a summer house. Another 3 days to cancel one line (there were 2) and put on vacation rate. All had to be done on phone as they have an almost non-existent internet capability. Constantly disconnected so it always took about 3 calls to get someone stable. Calls seem to be handled by satellite people - I'm thinking from their homes. Would not use this company if you don't have to do so.

CenturyLink response

Hello Joan- we are sorry for your loss, and that you weren't properly assisted during an already trying time. We'd be happy to look into this for you, and answer any questions you may have should you still need the help. Please just respond to us here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

If you like paying for "high speed internet" that is very subpar this is the place for you. If not I'd suggest going elsewhere. I pay for 12mbps service that slows or goes out when the weather gets slightly ugly out. Wifi slows or goes out if more than one device is running at the same time. They claim they have 20mbps plus speeds. When I tried to upgrade to 20mbps I was informed it was impossible even though 20mbps is available in my area they just couldn't provide it. Turns out that in most of the country they simply can't provide any speed above 12mbps because their infrastructure is too old.

They are trying to provide a 21st century technology using 19th century technology i.e. phone cables. I was also told I was lucky to get 12mbps because there has to be 2 phone lines available at the main box just to get that service to the customer. If there is only one line available you'll be lucky to even get 7mbps speed. Don't let them sucker you in. 20mbps plus speeds may be "available" but not actually usable.

CenturyLink response

Hello Red, we apologize that the desired speed hasn't been installed for your home as quoted - we can understand how that would be frustrating. We'd like to look into this for you, and answer any other questions you may have about your account or service. Please just reach out to us here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CenturyLink?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

I have internet with CenturyLink. I want to upgrade higher speed. They messed up the line, internet got cut off not able to do troubleshooting over the phone. I have no internet since December 24. Customer service schedule to repair December 29. No one come. I call back they reschedule December 31. I waited all day. No one come. Call tech support saying they have no dispatch. Call customer service, every time I called they transferred me around to repair department. Call repair they said oh no that's customer service. Called customer service they said oh no that is repair department. Back and forth for couples to three hours every day. Now they scheduled to January 2. And the repair departments said was not sure who will be assigned. That means no guarantee a tech will come on Jan 2. I can't stay home from work wait all day for no show. Horrible experiences with CenturyLink.

CenturyLink response

Hello Thuvan, we apologize that you're without service at this time, and that your service repair appointments were missed and the issue has not yet been properly resolved. We'd like to look into this for you, and answer any questions you may have - just reach out to us here. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Updated on 01/05/2019: I finally got a ticket issued by CenturyLink to have someone come out to investigate the problem (ticket# ** - Dec 31). The tech (Jonathan) never showed up at my house, never contacted me about the issue and closed the ticket without communicating with me. I emailed him and got no response. I called tech support and got someone in the Philippines and I asked for a language transfer. I was told by a tech support person in Florida that there was a switch that had to be fixed in Charlottesville, and to wait until the end of the day to test my speed. For about an hour my download speed was between 10 and 5 MB download, but by evening was down to the same pathetic download speed.

Since then, every day I get download speeds from about 0.1 MB to 0.02 MB. This was the final straw. I am fed up with CenturyLink. I have been a customer since 1990, and am not going to waste any more time with CenturyLink. So I decided to switch to Comcast/Xfinity and they are going to set me up with Performance Internet at 60MB download and 5 MB upload. Once that is set up I am going to move my landline to Comcast/Xfinity as well. I see that all over the country CenturyLink has outages. I belong to a group of 400 information technology professionals in Charlottesville and many of them are complaining about CenturyLink. I am going to mention my experiences to all the members of the IT group. I hope the FCC fines CenturyLink for your nationwide outages.

Meanwhile Ting is increasing the size of its fiber internet in Charlottesville, and people love it. I am the contact person for our whole neighborhood, and I am getting people to sign up for Ting as soon as it gets to our area. I don't think there is anything you can do for me except for me to call tech support, and I'll just get someone who can't speak English well, or can't move beyond a script. I appreciate your response, but it is too little, too late, and CenturyLink lost a customer that has been with CenturyLink since 1990.

Original review: We pay for 10 MB download speed for CenturyLink internet. Since December 24, out download speed varies between 0.15 BM to 0.09 MB. Thus we are getting roughly only 1/100th of the speed which we pay for. When I was able to get in touch with tech support on 01-26-2018, I talked with Phil in an unspecified foreign country who informed me that everything was working fine on their end and that I should get a new modem from CL. He was clueless and following a script. I am using a Netgear modem/router but had two old CL modem/routes I used for testing- all of which give the same download speed. So it is not a problem with my modem/router. I also tried changing modem channels, and that didn't help.

On 12/27 I used the CL online Service Troubleshooter which indicated an issue with the health of our internet service. The error was "line unstable". I tried contacting tech support for the next two days and got a message "all circuits busy." I also made 4 calls which never connected with tech support. I was able to contact a tech in two instances, but the line went dead shortly into the call, and I never received a call back. On 12/31 I used the online CL Service Troubleshooter and was informed that "modem ping falls". Two more attempts to contact tech support failed. Finally after a 55 minutes hold I got in touch with a tech who issued a ticket. I am a very experienced computer user with networking experience, and I know more about the technical issues on the client end than do the techs on the CenturyLink end.

The problem has to do with a technical problem between the outside of the house and the central office. Our house has a dedicated phone line for Internet only. Previous to this I have had two bad modem/routers from CL, one of which dropped connection frequently and the other overheating, possible a fire hazard. Most tech support people follow a script and will not listen or will not believe me when I say the problem is on the CL end. I am wasting a lot of time with CenturyLink and not getting what I paid for. Oh, and let me add that CenturyLink suggests I set up a chat with CL to diagnose the problem, but how is that supposed to work when I don't have a stable connection? How do I get a reimbursement for services not received.

CenturyLink response

Hello Jeff - we apologize that you were not properly assisted with the line issues you've been experiencing - we'd be glad to investigate this for you, and answer any questions you may have. Just reach out to us here, and we'll take it from there. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

I wasn't even able to begin internet service. I ordered service on 12-14-18. I was told service would be scheduled to begin on 12-28-18 and the time between the order and the start date was so they could mail me a modem that I could set up myself. From 12-28-18 to 12-31-18 I spent a total of 6 hours on hold with customer service. I was hung up on every time I asked a rep for ID for my notes. I never got a response at all from any of the online contact portals.

When I finally did get to speak to customer service reps (3 different ones) I was told that the modem had not been sent, then that it was not ordered, then that a tech came to install service but got no answer even though there was someone home that day not to mention that I was to do a self install, not have a tech at all. I was then told there is no way to do a self install and I would have to have a tech do it, but the first available day to schedule was 1-17-18, more than a month since the original order was placed. I feel like I practically begged them to take money from me, and they just didn't want my business. I decided to use another company for my service.

CenturyLink response

Hello Lauren, we're sorry to see that the negative experience you had with CenturyLink caused you to leave our company - but if you have any persisting questions or concerns, then please reach out to us here and we'd be glad to help.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Once you make your payment they couldn't care less about you as a customer. After being told multiple times by several reps of different service activation dates I get told, "Well my supervisor can't do anything about it." Not only was I LIED to about the date of my service but I was also charged double! This is by far the worst COMPANY I have ever had to deal with and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone!!

CenturyLink response

Hello Karen, we are sorry to see the amount of trouble you've gone through to get service installed. We'd be happy to investigate this for you, and answer any other questions you may have. Just respond to us here, and we'll take it from there. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Letter I'm writing to CenturyLink: “Notice of Intent/Final Demand. Jeff Storey: Some years back I first ordered residential landline phone service from CenturyLink. I work nights in a factory and telephone marketers soon rendered my phone service useless for receiving emergency calls as I was forced to unplug my phone to get sleep during the day. I bought TracFone wireless for receiving calls but kept the phone service to connect to the internet via a modem. I later opted to receive internet service direct from CenturyLink without phone service, internet only. The price was tolerable but a few months later the rate skyrocketed yet I managed to keep the internet only. Bill paid on time regularly for years despite the feeling of hurt and betrayal from what I perceived as an unreasonable (and frankly unconscionable) demand on your part for increased payment for the same services for which I had been quoted a much lower price.

With the increase in technology over the long years came vast leaps in internet services through wireless services. I spent two years in deliberation about severing my link with CenturyLink. It was a sad decision because I knew that I had been a good and loyal/faithful customer for years. Recently, I finally made the decision to cut the cord so to speak. I went online to cancel my service and guess what I find? You have intentionally made this process a labyrinth of lies and deception. The only thing I succeeded in cancelling was access to my account through your website. When I later called via telephone to cancel my account I was transferred to customer retention. I had already spent over two years trying to make this decision!

The frequent disruptions in internet service on your part were indeed a serious point of frustration over the years. Additionally, your websites are not user friendly. Neither are your customer service phone lines. Your company has grown by leaps and bounds and become a sprawling monster with long fat money sucking tentacles that are coordinated only in their quest to feed the beast. I tried repeatedly to explain to your customer retention department that I had no intention of being retained. They offered me reduced rates but you had already reneged many years prior on your quote of reduced rates. This new offer for reduced rates was sadly years late. I wanted to cancel and I reiterated this again and again and again to the point that I wanted to scream.

I definitely made it clear that CenturyLink was to cancel my service immediately and was no longer authorized to debit my bank account because I wanted no further services. From that day on or a from day prior to that day I have not once used your services. When the phone call with customer retention finally ended I knew in my heart that my journey toward complete severance from your grasping tentacles had only just begun. I immediately packed up the home wifi and enclosed therein a copy of my bill whereupon it was clearly written thereon that I wanted to cancel my phone service immediately and that CenturyLink was not to debit my bank account from that day forward.

The package was packed at a local mailing company and I with the help of the witnessing clerk made sure to enclose an extra copy of the letter of cancellation within the package. It was then mailed certified next day mail return receipt requested to the address on the bill. The return receipt was signed for days before the start of the next billing cycle. CenturyLink did thereafter debit my bank account without authorization to do so. I subsequently phoned CenturyLink once again and informed customer service that you had wrongfully debited my account They said they had a record or note of the phone call wherein I requested cancellation and would forward me a check for the monies you wrongfully debited. I did not receive such check, instead I received a bill for further payment. This is not acceptable.

Mental anguish is being compounded by your intentional or grossly negligent actions in that you knew or should have known that your employees and/or agents conduct business in such manner. I continued service with you guys for two additional years because I was a good and loyal/faithful customer. I am rewarded in a manner that is not appropriate for human beings to treat each other. I feel violated. You failed to heed my voice when I said “no” and have forced your intentions upon me like a bully or ** exercising your will over mine regardless of the consequences and my well being. No means no and you were not entitled to one last bite at the apple. You have intentionally stolen funds from me.

How can you make this right? I continue to not have use of my monies you have stolen. How much is that worth? Ten, twenty percent? I want a check for the amount you last debited plus the maximum allowable interest at law. Be sure that I have it within ten days of your receipt of this letter or I will immediately seek further remedies at law."

CenturyLink response

Hello Ken, while we are sorry to see that you are no longer a customer of ours, we want to make sure all your questions and concerns are answered about your old account. Please respond to us here, and we'll be glad to help. We look forward to hearing from you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

Please help us! We are trapped in an area where CenturyLink is the only provider for internet and phone that will service us! They are gouging us to death! We pay about 92 bucks a month for land line, and 8 GB internet service. That's right. 8. The company has us by the proverbial spheres I am afraid. Spectrum wants 1900 to run a line to us, because we are located away from the road. We are basically screwed unless Centurylink grows a heart.

CenturyLink response

Hello Robert - we can understand the importance of making sure you're getting the best possible price for the service you receive, and would be glad to look into this for you. If you'd like our assistance, please respond to us here privately, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I have been trying to switch internet providers from Consolidated Communications/FairPoint to CenturyLink. The original order was placed on December 13, 2018, I was told several dates between 12-24 and 12-28 and finally confirmed on 12-28. When technician hadn't called by 12:30 pm I contacted CenturyLink and after some time was told that the technician was not going to show up. I was given an option to reschedule for 1-28-19 as the next available date. I decide to investigate other options and when I contacted CenturyLink on 12-19-18 to schedule the new service I was told I had to call two other departments on Monday to get the new connection scheduled. WOW consolidated must be really bad for me to spend this much time trying to switch to another company that is this bad.

CenturyLink response

Hello Harold, we can understand the frustration that stems from missed appointments and a delay in service installation. We'd like to investigate this for you, and answer any questions you may have. Just reach out to us here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

They disconnected my service to upgrade without scheduling an appointment. The guy who took my order promised to send a new modem. After 5 calls and a few hours (system hangs up on you) I finally got some who told me they never sent a modem and that the existing one is not compatible for vdsl! So now I have no service and will have to buy a modem because CL says at least a week. Also, tech never closed the job and didn’t bother to check or get in touch before disconnecting service. Gross incompetence on every level.

CenturyLink response

Hello we apologize that your upgrade wasn't properly completed or handled - we can understand the frustration that stems from not receiving the service you are paying for. If you'd like for us to look into this for you, and answer any other questions you may have, please respond to us here and we'd be glad to help.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

Sat on hold four different times for over an hour and got disconnected. No one to help ever and no way to talk to a live person ever. When you do finally get a live person after trying all of the platforms that they make it seem like you can talk to someone, via Facebook, Twitter, chat, phone...you still wait a damn decade to speak with someone. My router is out and won't turn on and they have the audacity to charge me for shipping after explaining to them several times I have been on hold for 5 hours and got disconnected. The router has been out for 2 weeks and couldn't get anyone ever on any of the platforms to talk to a person. WORST COMPANY IN THE WORLD>>>PERIOD.

CenturyLink response

Hello Hayden, we apologize that you had to wait on hold for an extended period of time to receive help. We'd be happy to look into any concerns or questions you may have about your account - just respond to us privately here, and we'll look for your message.

Resolution response: Jan. 12, 2019

situation is resolved

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

Customer service rep took an excessive amount of time to tell me there was no problem with my service & again tried to sell me something. There was a problem with my service & everyone else as well. She gave me a number to tech support - a telecommunications company could not even transfer my call? I called tech support at least 30 times from morning to about 9 PM & they repeatedly hung up on me. The one time I got through to a tech, the connection was so bad she could not hear me & hung up on me! The only call that had a poor connection the entire day was to the company that provides my landline service. They think they can treat customers however they like because they are the only provider in our rural area. I guess they are correct. As soon as there is any other option, I am gone.

CenturyLink response

Hello George - we apologize that you weren't properly assisted with getting information and a repair for your non-working service; we have had an abnormal influx of customers chatting and calling in, but we do still want to make sure proper help is provided while on call. If you need assistance with your service still, then please reach out to us privately and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

We signed up for $40 dollars high speed internet for life then turned around and they billed us 55 dollars. There are no fast talking or excuses for this bait and switch. They advertised it on TV. We have been with them for a long time. Time to own up to your promises. No excuses, which change like the wind. Get us back to the 40 dollars high speed internet for life.

CenturyLink response

Hello Terrance - we'd be more than happy to look into this billing error for you, and make sure that it's corrected permanently. We can also work with you on any other questions or concerns you may have. Please just respond to us here privately, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

It’s 2018 and the internet they provided at my house won’t even download a video. Tried to use customer service chat and ask about getting an upgrade and after talking to three different people for almost an hour they can’t even pull up my account! I was laughing at the conversation I was having with these people. Absolute worst service and customer service I’ve ever had to experience. Makes no sense how they have managed to stay in business. Guess they cornered the market somewhere and are the only provider in that area.

CenturyLink response

Hello Michael - we'd be glad to investigate the service concerns that had you chatting and calling in, and answer any questions you may have. Just reach out to us here privately, and we'll take it from there. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

A neighbor recently cancelled their CenturyLink Internet service and was required to return their "modem". We are in a fiber to residence neighborhood and there are no modems involved with this configuration. I worked with tech support to resolve this issue on behalf of my neighbor, and in so doing, discovered I too have been billed for a modem for 7.5 years at $9.99/month. I took this matter up with CenturyLink customer service and was offered a year reparation of $120. I declined and a ticket was opened to the corporate office. I was informed I would be contacted in 3-4 days. After waiting 7 days, I called CenturyLink and a customer service rep reviewed the notes in my account. He determined I had been credited for the cost of a new modem in the amount of $107 for remuneration on 7/18/2017 and I was never contacted.

I opened this complaint with the BBB and was credited an addition $13 as offered by the original customer service rep. I rejected this response with the BBB with the following reply: I am rejecting this response because this item is listed on my previous bills in the most cryptic way possible: Monthly Charges: ** HSI Modem Wired 9.99.

As I mentioned in my original complaint, I would have never suspected this was a charge for rental equipment (billing example attached). There is nothing preceding this line item that indicates this is any type of rental equipment. For all I knew, this was the box outside my house where the fiber cable met my residence. This only came to light because a neighbor recently cancelled their service and was going to be charged $100 if they didn't return their "modem". After many calls to customer support and a discussion with an install technician... I learned Fiber to Residence does not use a modem. This is something CenturyLink should have known and I should never have been charged for this, certainly not for over 7 years.

CenturyLink response

Hello Tom - we apologize for any misinformation you've been provided, and any information that should have been provided but wasn't. We would be glad to look into this for you, and answer any questions you may have. Just let us know if you'd like our help by responding here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Updated on 01/10/2019: I had CenturyLink disconnected yesterday, therefore as I was speaking to them the person I talked to actually told me I owe them $405.00, so I told them I had already paid them $800.00 in three months time, however I feel like they owe me money. There is no one that I know pays out that kind of money for television. The company told me they were going to send me to collection. I refuse to send them any more. I feel they either the full or half my money back. That is all I have to say about that.

Original Review: This was supposed to be a bundle package phone, internet, and TV. The Television part came from DirecTV. My problem is CenturyLink they have no clue of what they are doing. Everything was good until June. I was put in the hospital for 10 days, and came home to open my mail. I really do not know what happened to my bill, however it went through the roof. I have gotten three different reasons why my bill is so high. The first reason was the billing, then I was told I was only paying partial. I was paying what they told me to pay, even though my bill should have only been $150 a month. At one point the bill went up to $600, and just about went off the deep end.

I asked CenturyLink why it is so high? They blame it on DirecTV. When that bill is only $82 a month. I had to cancel out my Television because of what they were doing. I have paid out over $800. to keep my service on. CenturyLink cut my television off the day before Thanksgiving. I told them when they started sending me Disconnection notices that I was only paying for the telephone, which is $45.00 a month. Right now I have three bills sitting on dining room table with three different amounts they want me to pay. I cannot pay out anymore they have literally wiped me out. I am disabled, and my mother-in-law lives with me, and she is 90 years old. I am at my wit's end with this company. I thought Comcast was bad, I think CenturyLink is worse.

I forgot to mention that when I was getting signed up three different entities instead of one. My phone was through CenturyLink, television DirecTV, therefore for my internet I had to do HughesNet. I have no internet package for this. I had to go elsewhere. I have tried to get it through CenturyLink unless I pay out $417 I am stuck according to them. That outrageous number if for television. I am sorry no one pays this kind of money for television.

CenturyLink response

Hello Teri - we can understand the frustration that comes from billing issues, and would like to offer our assistance to look into this for you. We'd also like to answer any other questions you may have. Please just reach out to us here and we'd be glad to help.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I have been waiting for close to three months to have my internet installed. They haven't been installed yet. I have been on the phone for over three hours mostly on hold. Talked to 8 departments. Each one of them giving me a runaround and on top of that they took my security deposit on the 1st of November and yet their engineers still have not fixed the internet box and cables and not even called us to get it fixed. I would not recommend this company to anyone.

CenturyLink response

Hello Tricia, we apologize that your service has not been installed yet, and that you haven't been properly helped to get it up and running. Please let us know if you'd like our assistance by responding here, and we'd be glad to help. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I cannot believe I'm still with this company. The only reason I'm here is because of price but other than that this company is the worst in the market. I dread the day I have to call. I speak with a person, get a "answer" and then they completely do something else. When I call to complain about it and all I get is I was told wrong. Really? Good customer service right there.

CenturyLink response

Hello Maria - we understand the frustration that stems from poor customer service and mixed information. We'd like to investigate whatever had you call in, and answer any questions you may have about your account or service. Please just reach out to us here privately, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I been stuck with CenturyLink for around 5 years now. My internet always seems to drop multiple times a day, keep getting told my house can get faster internet, and it can't, they told me they upgraded my lines to my address, and still can only get 4Mbps (2mbps usable if I'm lucky and on a good day), tried a couple times to upgrade and when they did come, told since I'm at "the end of the line" I can't get any faster. I've talked to them on TONS of occasions, and nothing ever seems to get resolved. Only time anything gets done is if I'm behind, then they all up on disconnecting me. And to top it all off, I pay $5 less than the 25mbps price (Again only getting 4mbps service). Since my area is monopolized and they stopped spectrum from coming here, I'm screwed. We don't do television, only internet/Netflix. Right now it's Christmas break and internet been down all Christmas. Kids and wife not happy.

CenturyLink response

Hello John, we are sorry to hear that you've been without services at times, and that you were provided with mixed information. We'd like to investigate this for you, and answer any questions you may have. Just reach out to us here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

Prism is better than the other providers in this area by far. They are monthly adding a few $'s here and a few $'s there, until you call in and complain, threaten to cancel the service because it is way too high, then they give you all these discounts and get the bill way down. Then it starts creeping up again. That is the only complaint I have with them.

CenturyLink response

Hello Marsha - thank you for the feedback about your service and TV. We'd be glad to offer our assistance if you have any other questions or concerns about your account. Just reach out to us here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

I was put under contract without being notified or even told via phone. Had my monthly bill auto deducted from my bank account for 41.94 per month. When I cancelled the rep told me I would have that amount taken out for 4 more months to pay off contract. Instead 191.85 was taken 12/11/2018 and left me without money in my account.

CenturyLink response

Hello Susan, we apologize about the billing issues that you encountered that ended up causing you to leave our company. We'd like to look into this for you, and answer any questions you may have about your closed account. Please reach out to us here for further assistance, and we'll take it from there. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I signed up for the 'price for life' promo in July in a CenturyLink store. I was told I would get 40 mbps for $40 for as long as I have CenturyLink. This month the bill was $55. I called the local store and spoke with Aaron who informed me that there was a loyalty discount on the account that had ended. I mentioned that I had just signed up for the promo in July and don't understand how this is possible and said that I would go to the store and speak to the rep in person. He said that all the physical stores have been closed and that he would have to transfer me to a billing specialist.

I was transferred to Austin who said he could get the loyalty discount back but since I couldn't answer some random security question that I had set up 10 years ago I had to wait for an email to reset it. He said it would take about 2 hours to reset and to call back at that time. So I called back only to get a message that service hours are from 8-6 local time.

I called the next day and spoke with Mark who again asked for a security question that I had no idea what the answer to would be. I told him I had just reset my password and security question yesterday. He said he would send me an email with the security question answer and to call back. The email was a confirmation that my password had been changed!

I called 20 minutes later and spoke to Paul who again wanted to send me an email to reset my password. I said that I have been through this already, "I have given you the account number and my SSN and I am calling from the phone off record on the account." He then agreed to move forward with seeing what he could do for the "loyalty discount". He said the regular price is $55 and the discount was $15 and it no longer applies. I told him to fix it or I would find a different provider; I was sold a price for life of $40 and that's what it should be.

I was put on hold and then Scott came on the line and said that the discount had been reinstated. He then said that he had heard of many people have this issue recently and that it was a momentary computer glitch. I requested a guarantee that this was not going to happen again and that I would not have any more surprises. He could not give me that guarantee and said that he had worked for the company for many months and this was the first time he had heard of this issue. Scott said that I would see a credit for the $15 and the correct charge of $40 on next month's bill. The whole issue seems very fishy. It appeared like the agents have been instructed to run customers in circles in the hopes that they will tire out and give up before getting resolution. How many other people didn't check their bill and will be told "Sorry your discount no longer applies".

CenturyLink response

Hello K, we can understand how this billing concern would be surprising and frustrating - we'd be happy to clarify on what happened with the billing, and answer any questions you may have. Just reach out to us here privately, and we'll take it from there.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I am shocked at what I had to pay every month. $375.00 for their service. I found out that they are a bunch of uncaring robots! I had to go into the hospital for an emergency. I found out that I had a cancerous tumor and it needed to be removed. I called CenturyLink to let them know that the payment was going to be late and if that would be ok. I was told by a very rude person that if I didn’t pay now, that they would discontinue my service. So I lost the service.

CenturyLink response

Hello Jeanine, we apologize that your service was cut off due to non-payment during a time when funds may have been short or late. We'd like to investigate your account's billing for you, and answer your other questions that you may have about your closed account. Just let us know if you'd like our help by responding here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I recently tried CenturyLink and am very unsatisfied. I signed up for their 80 mbps plan for $45 a month and of course there were issues. There are numerous phone lines in my apt (used to be leasing office) and tech claims that they need 2 working lines in order to get 80 mpbs. And of course, according to the tech, only one phone line worked so I'm only getting 40 mbps. So I asked to only be charged for that plan and guess what? It's the same cost! Go figure. And they could not run another phone line because it was an apartment. Well I had another landline phone company come out to look at it and there are at least 3 lines working in my apartment. And of course they want to charge you to have a tech come out. SCAM!!! Whatever the alternative you have to CenturyLink, GO WITH THEM.

CenturyLink response

Hello John, we apologize that you haven't been properly helped with getting your speed up to where it needs to be. We'd like to investigate this for you, and answer any other questions you may have about your account. Just reach out to us here for assistance. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

My neighbors and I are over 3 days with no internet. They have lied 3 times about when may be restored. The internet repair number routes to clueless agents who can only follow stupid scripts, have no internet experience, can't spell "IP", and have no ability to escalate. I also learned the hard way that you are not eligible for any poor performance credit due to their neglect. You can only ask for credit for actual downtime, which they don't properly track our monitor. Their service is so bad they place a bunch of phone operators to keep them shielded from a customer. It is clear they have no idea where their checks come from. If I had the ability to swap providers I would do it post haste. These jokers are the only providers available to me. We are hostages with zero recourse. If you are one of the fortunate ones who has a choice, course ANYTHING other than last-CenturyStink! You won't be as sorry as you will be going with this terrible service.

CenturyLink response

Hello we can understand the frustration that stems from not getting the service you're paying for, and not getting the proper help to get the service outage resolved. We'd like to investigate this for you, and answer any questions you may have. Just reach out to us here when you get a chance, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

Do not sign up for Simple Pay/Billing. I get billed $75 every month via credit card for the service and price I signed up for. Then the next day after the $75 charge I get charged $45. The kicker is CenturyLink has no record of the $45 charge even though the transaction type on the credit card is exactly the same. Been dealing with it for 4 months. Got a case number assigned but when I call nobody in Simple Pay or Finance has any access to case numbers. Unbelievable.

CenturyLink response

Hello Chad we can imagine how this would be frustrating, and apologize that this billing concern hasn't been resolved yet. We'd be happy to look into this for you, and answer any questions you may have. Just reach out to us here, and we'll take it from there. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

The supervisors are horrible as well as customer service. I called many times moving into my new place, and even sent my LEASE AGREEMENT. After promising me services all they can tell me is, "Sorry we won't get you any service any time soon even though we've promised otherwise."

CenturyLink response

Hello Natasha, we're sorry to see that we're unable to get you set up with new service at this time, and that you weren't helped in a timely manner. If you could please reach out to us here, then we'd be glad to look into this further for you if you'd like. We look forward to hearing from you.

CenturyLink Company Information