1.19/5

formerly Qwest

4154 CenturyLink Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I recently moved and was told by email that my services would be on today (9/6) by 5pm. When I called them to reconfirm I was told that it was moved to 9/8. I was never made aware of this. When I told the "supervisor" this, she told me it was not guaranteed and that repair orders come first. We went round and round about this. When I asked to speak to a manager or dispatch, I was told that they do not take calls. I am extremely dissatisfied with them as this was scheduled weeks ago. I am looking for a different phone company. One that keeps their clusters in the loop and makes good on promises. CenturyLink sucks.

Updated on 09/08/2018: I called to reconfirm my transfer date of 9/8/18 and was informed that it was pushed back yet again to 10/8. I immediately asked to speak with a manager. This gentleman was A LOT better than the woman I spoke to the day before. He actually did try to help, but failed. Needless to say, 21 years of loyalty does not get you anywhere. I would not recommend CenturyLink to anyone. If this is how they treat their loyal customers, I would hate to see how the employees are treated. Someone needs to take them over and make some big changes. It wouldn't surprise me if they went under. I will never do business with CenturyLink again!!!

CenturyLink response

Hello Tina, we're sorry to see that you feel this way, and that your appointment was rescheduled. We'd love to answer any questions you may have about your services; just respond here to get started, and we'll take it from there. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I have been on hold waiting to speak with a customer service agent for whom I was supposedly connected to by another agent just before this call-hold. I have been on hold waiting for this superior for approximately 50 minutes and counting. My assumption is that because my call was about a problem that is CenturyLink's fault (deleting all my saved voicemail messages), and apparently this is too hard to rectify, and because I asked to be referred to a superior, CenturyLink is ignoring me and hoping and assuming that I will eventually hang up. So, CenturyLink is not answering a call to a supposed division of higher level service treatment. Good customer service for a communications company. Very, very saddened and disappointed in C.L. - Signed: A 23 year customer, Quest and CenturyLink combined. I will never get my memories back, thanks to you, CenturyLink.

CenturyLink response

Hello Amy, we're sorry to see that you have lost important voicemails; we'd love to look into this for you, in order to see if that's something we can retain in our systems. Please let us know if you'd like the help by responding here. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I canceled all services with CenturyLink when they increased my bill to over $200.00. Tried to just get internet through them and the tech guy never showed up. Charged me for internet I never received for the 2 weeks waiting for someone to come out. Paid that bill just to get done with them and lo and behold I got another bill for $200.00 for early termination. Mind you, we have been a customer for 13 years and Prism customer for 5 years. I would not recommend them to anyone. They will up your bill without notice and then charge you $200.00 to cancel.

CenturyLink response

Hello Sonya, we'd love to look into this billing concern for you with the cancelled account. We understand how frustrating dealing with billing can be, and want to extend an offer of help to review the bill, as well as answer any other questions you may have about your services. Please let us know if you'd like the assistance by responding here. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I have CenturyLink telephone and internet services and so does my grandma. Back in June all services combined was a little over 50.00 dollars for me, my grandmas account was 42.00 dollars, when we got July 2018 Bill's, both went up around 85.00 dollars each. I called several times was told that since loyalty discounts dropped off, that they put us on a price for life plan. I asked to be back on my old plan, they told me since I changed both of our accounts to price for life, I could not go back and my old plan. I told them that I never give approval for changes to either account. This is a bait and switch scam, both me and my grandma have been customers over 20 years and was never lied to. Treated badly and that amount of raising the cost.

I have contacted my local state attorney general's office and the FCC, and Better Business Bureau to see if they can intervene. As of now. CenturyLink is unwilling to change their stance. CenturyLink has a monopoly over landline and internet service. Me and my grandma may just get cell phones and turn off both of our landline and internet services. My grandma only get 660.00 on social security and her phone bill went from 42.00 to 85.00. If you are considering using their services, I would strongly urge new customers not to buy anything from them.

CenturyLink response

Hello Brad, we can understand the frustration of dealing with billing issues and not receiving the proper help to get the main concern resolved. We'd love to look into this for you- please let us know if you'd like the help by responding here. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Zero stars should really be an option here! Our internet went out last month (Thurs 8/2) and it took me almost 2 hours on the phone to get to the point of scheduling a technician to come out. I complained about the wasted time & lack of internet which we use for work (no internet = no money), and they promised a bill credit for outage time, which was anticipated to be <24 hours based on technician schedule. They came Fri 8/3 & replaced modem, internet worked for a couple of hours and then out again. I spent FIVE hours on the phone with multiple people on Sat 8/4, insisting that since I had effectively had no internet for 2 days at this point & they hadn't done their job, they should have a technician out that day.

Most told me it was impossible to get same-day (not true) and at least one intentionally disconnected me while I was supposedly on hold waiting for a supervisor to accelerate my case. When I finally got a supervisor on the line 5 hours later, they said they could have accelerated it and gotten someone out that day if I had gotten to them an hour earlier! I threatened to cancel (for the 3rd time that day) and the supervisor got me on the schedule for a next-day (Sunday 8/5) repair. Things were looking up, and the technician came on time and replaced the modem again and tinkered with the phone line and said there was a short in the line coming in. Other than continued internet speeds at less than half what is advertised for the plan I am paying for, everything has seemed to work well since.

I should mention that during each of the multiple phone conversations I had during those few days, every person I talked to had specifically stated that all repairs to "their" line & equipment would be free, repairs to "our" line would cost $85 service fee, and the technician would get explicit approval to do any repair that would result in cost to us. NEITHER technician indicated any such thing. Now a month later, I receive a bill that I expect to be somewhat lower due to the promised bill credit for service downtime, and instead it is ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS more. Yep, I was charged for the repair, even though the technician did not state that his work would incur a charge. I believe they lied about this because I had already indicated my willingness to just cancel my service and move on with another provider rather than wait longer for another ineffective "repair."

Because their customer support hours are ridiculous for a service company, I tried their internet chat feature this evening to emphatically state that I wanted the $100 charge removed and the bill credit I was promised. The person on the chat instead offered to find additional features for my account that would "benefit me" (?) and eventually informed me that they have no access to prior customer support records so there was nothing they could do about my problem. Why would you tout the online chat support if they have no access to anything and can't actually help with any problems? Why, of course, to try to up-sell you more services! As if someone contacting them about a $100 overcharge is going to be willing to talk about paying them more!

All of this is on top of the fact that every time I do independent testing of my internet speed, it is less than half of the mbps that I am paying for to begin with. I am ready to move on - this is beyond bad customer service and into deceptive practices - a total racket. I am going to contact the MN State Attorney General's office tomorrow to see if there is any way to report them or get any advocacy.

CenturyLink response

Hello Amanda, we're sorry to see that you did not receive the proper information or help needed to address your billing and service issues. We'd love to look into this bill for you- just respond here to get started, and we'll take it from there. We look forward to hearing from you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CenturyLink?

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I called CenturyLink about a week ago to transfer my internet service from the old home to our new home. Since, the new home was recently constructed they told me that they would do a full install. Moving date comes and the technician never shows up. I called Century customer service and was told to the service is turned on, just plug the modem in. I plugged it in and have no internet. I called today around 9am Arizona time. The first person tells me that the tech couldn’t find the box to connect the service. I get transferred to another person who tells me that they cannot help me. I then get transferred to the third person and waited for two hours, still no resolution.

I then call later this afternoon and get told that nobody was home when the tech came by, no true. I then ask for his supervisor and was told that he just happened to be in a meeting. Still no resolution. I come home and call the tech line. The tech checks the order ticket and tells me that the order is still open. I ask him to check my lines to see if I have service and he tells me that I have no service. He then transferred me to customer service. The guy who answered the phone acted like he couldn’t hear me and hung up. I then call back and a lady finally helps me. However, she tells me that I have no service confirming what I already knew. She tells me that she will need to transfer me to the orders department, but they are closed. I will get them one more try tomorrow morning. If I do not get resolution Cox will get a new customer. This has to be the worst customer service in the industry!

CenturyLink response

Hello Larry, we are sorry to see that your service has not been properly transferred, and that you haven't received the help necessary to get this set up. We'd love to look into the order and answer any questions you may have, just respond here to get started. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I've probably spent 60 hours over the past 2 years with this farce of a company. Everything others have said is true: low speeds, off-shored CS, billing issues, long wait times, missed appointments. We now have a new microwave solution in our area which provides 10x the speed at 80% of the cost. Buh bye, CL. I won't miss you.

CenturyLink response

Hello David, we're sorry to hear that you no longer want to be a CenturyLink customer, and that you were not provided with the service you were paying for. We'd love to look into this for you, or address any other concerns you may have. Just respond here to get started, and we will look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I signed up for the 40 mbps a few months ago to try it out. My speeds were around 1.5 mbps during the day and I constantly had to reset The modem I was renting from them, which didn't really accommodate my needs. I have been trying to cancel my account for over 3 weeks now. The first time I called they told me their computers were out to try back another day. They close at 3 pm Arizona time and the hold time is more than half an hour every time. Every day I get off work at 2:30 and I call them shortly after and right at 3 pm I either get transferred to customer service who tells me they need to transfer me and I get the message saying that they're closed or they just hang up! What a trap. What type of crap company does that? If you don't believe me try it. Call 800.238.3705... try it 30 minutes before they close and check out how they treat you. My advice is BUYER BEWARE.

CenturyLink response

Hello Fourat, we're sorry to hear you're not getting the service you pay for. We understand the necessity of providing the set up package- we'd love to look into this for you and find a solution to your internet issues. Please let us know if you'd like the assistance by responding here. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

Been on hold 20 min now just to discuss my bill, price has gone up every month for months now - LOTS of fees... only use them because I need a landline, would never give them cable or internet business. Still on hold.

CenturyLink response

Hello Katherine, we'd love to look into your billing concerns for you and answer any other questions or concerns you'd have for you account/services. Please let us know if you'd like assistance with this by responding here- we look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

Horrible company! We have been waiting for over a month for installation- after being rescheduled 4 times! We canceled our current internet provider on the original install date (almost a month ago) and still they have not installed our service. Finally canceled it today, after they attempted to reschedule us yet again. When we call to complain they say they are sorry for the inconvenience. What does that do for us?? Tried to call corporate office to file a complaint, had to leave a message- still no return phone call. This company does not care about their customers!! Run far away from this company!!

CenturyLink response

Hello Dakota, that sounds very frustrating, and we want to apologize that you were not set up with service as originally requested. We'd love to answer any questions or address any concerns for you- please respond here for help, and we look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

Listen, CenturyLink isn't any different from the other cable companies in terms of pricing, but their customer service makes it just impossible to do business with. One of my promotions was about to expire, so I called to see what else they could offer. I was told no promotion would expire and they were running a "new deal" that locked me in at my current price. HA! A month later my bill skyrocketed! I called again, was transferred about 5 times and then told they would not help me because "despite what the CenturyLink employee told me, I should have known that was not the right information." WHAT!?

I told them to cancel all services. They said, well, you'll be charged a $180 cancellation fee, because your contract expires Sept 7th. I was happy, I can wait a few weeks to cancel. I called today, now they are saying my contract doesn't expire until May 2019!! Screw it, I said cancel the services. Then they put me on hold to "cancel" my service and hung up. What a joke. Do not go with this company... You will be pulling your hair out by month two.

CenturyLink response

Hello Maggie- we can understand how that'd be frustrating, and we are sorry to see that you were not told accurate information, and that your billing issue wasn't properly resolved to the best of our ability. We'd love to look into this billing concern for you- just respond here to get started. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

We have a vacation home in Tucson, AZ that is equipped with wi-fi based security cameras. When they went off in June 2018, we called both CenturyLink and the Power Company, assuming a power outage in the area due to weather. Both companies said there was no issue and no power outage. When we went to AZ in August and called CenturyLink again, they actually said it WAS an issue on their end (a bad line) which they would have to send a technician out to repair. Sounds simple, right?! WRONG! Not only is it near impossible to get a hold of a person who knows what they are doing in less than 3 hours, it's probably a miracle getting the technician to actually show up when scheduled.

So here we are, almost a full 4 months since service was interrupted (no internet to the house whatsoever) and still not fixed, that they are still getting paid for through auto-pay. Called CenturyLink to get auto-pay turned off and all you get is bounced around then conveniently hung up on. Called CenturyLink to get a refund for the months that we have not been getting the service we are paying for, get bounced around to different departments and then conveniently hung up on. Called CenturyLink to get the name on the account fixed because the person who initially set up the account added some extra letters (maybe for flair because 'Alex' was too boring?! , get bounced around and 7 months later, the name is STILL misspelled.

Just today (9/4/18) we have had to call CenturyLink back twice from conveniently being hung up on (and I say conveniently hung up on because it can't be coincidence that their phone lines work perfectly right up until you start criticizing their service EVERY.SINGLE.TIME.YOU.CALL). The current call we were on lasted just over the 1 hour mark, 90% of which was on hold and the balance of the time was simply trying to locate the account information. Truthfully, I am a little annoyed that I had to select any stars - frankly one star is giving them too much credit. Does anyone at CenturyLink read the reviews and complaints on virtually every Social Media platform there is about their overall service as a product, but also the poor customer service?!

CenturyLink response

Hello Kristine- we are sorry to hear that your service is out at this time, and that you aren't getting the necessary help to get services credited and the account name fixed. We'd love to look into this for you and work on finding a resolution for your service and credits. Please let us know if you'd like the help by responding here- we look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I've had CenturyLink for the past 3 years since it's one of the only providers available in my area. I've always purchased their 40 Mbps internet plan, and I've never actually gotten those download speeds. Whenever I check, I usually max out around 20 Mbps. I've called CenturyLink's service department to deal with this a number of times, every time they just lie to me. Sometimes they will send someone over to "check the cables," sometimes they insist it's my fault and cite all of the devices connected to the wifi (including phones of family members who have connected once, but live across the country and are definitely not linked to the wifi now). Last time, they revealed to me that it's impossible to get 40 Mbps with the modem that THEY provided to me when I bought the service. I requested a modem that would actually do what they promised, and they sent me the exact same model I already have.

On top of this, the billing never makes sense. You sign up for a particular service and rate, but each month my bill is different, sometimes varying by a great deal. Watch out for when your introductory rates end - they've doubled my fees a few times, to the point where I was paying $80/month for the 40 Mbps service even though they have faster services available for cheaper... How does that make sense? Don't even bother with tech support, they have no intention of fixing your problems, they just try to fool you into not calling back and complaining for a while. As long as nothing else is available, I'll have to stick with CenturyLink, but they are by far the most unethical business I've ever dealt with, and it really bothers me that I don't have alternatives. They DO NOT deserve my business or yours. Avoid them if you can.

CenturyLink response

Hello Casey- that does sound frustrating, and we understand the importance of receiving the services that you are paying for. We're sorry this hasn't been properly addressed; we'd love to look into these concerns for you. Please let us know if you'd like the help by responding here.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I was told by CenturyLink telephone company Social Media people that a Company ticket was made to buried a exposed temporary telephone line on 9-03-18. That was a lie and the exposed line is still on top of the ground and able to seen. I would suggest to all people to contact North Carolina A.G for a complaint on CenturyLink Telephone Company.

CenturyLink response

Hello Clay, I understand that we are working with you on the other reviews with this issue, and will continue to follow-up there about the resolution of this concern. We want to make sure you are being helped with this, and will reach out the moment we get further information on the line burial. Thank you for your patience with us.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

I called CenturyLink and inquired of my address and the internet speed available there. The CenturyLink rep told me I could get up to 100mbps at my address, but they needed to run a credit check to verify that and send a tech out to my home to find out. They took days to send a tech to check the lines. After a week and a call of me to see if they were doing anything, the rep told me 10 mbps was the max for my area. DO NOT take CenturyLink's word for it when they tell you will get high speed internet in your area, but they need to 'verify' and run a credit check first. The reps are told to get credit checks by their superiors, when in reality they know you cannot get the speed they are offering.

CenturyLink response

Hello John, we are sorry to see that you did not receive the proper help to get accurate information as to what service was available to you. We'd love to look into any other concerns you may have, and answer any questions about your service. Please let us know if you'd like the help by responding here. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

Back in June, I called Embarq to make changes to my bundle since it was getting expensive (especially the DISH TV). I was told that they no longer used DISH, but they used DTV. I ended up dropping my home phone, keeping the internet, and switching to DISH to DTV. Not once did the agent explain that I would need to cancel DISH with DISH, nor did he connect me with DISH to do so. Since this change, I have been on the phone with Embarq numerous times to correct my bill (and I have detailed summary available that I would be willing to submit).

This past week, I called once more to correct my bill (as I have been getting double billed for DISH and DTV) and was told I needed to cancel with DISH. They then put me through to DISH. This was the first time I was told this. Now, Embarq tells me that I owe for July and August DISH services (which I haven't had since DTV cut the DISH cable to do their install on July 5th). I sent a written complaint to Embarq but am basically being told there is nothing I can do about this. What I would like is a proper contact in which to escalate this issue. I am a long time customer of Embarq (at least since 2000). The amount in dispute is close to $200. Thank you.

CenturyLink response

Good day Laureen, we understand how frustrating correcting bundled billing can be, and would love to look into this billing issue for you in order to find a solution. Please let us know if you'd like the help by responding here. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

I called in to cancel my internet service since we were moving overseas on July 10th. The guy on the phone told me that my account has been canceled. I didn't pay attention and 2 months later I found out they continued charging me for July and August bill. Contacted their customer service and they told me that my account is still live. This is a really dodgy practice to rip customers off.

CenturyLink response

Hello Quang, we would love to look into this billing concern for you in order to reach a resolution in regards to your old account. Please let us know if you'd like our assistance with this issue by responding here; we look forward to hearing from you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

If you have any other option other than CenturyLink I highly encourage you to explore them. I have had CenturyLink for years and every two to three months they have to repair my DSL line, this is outside of the home on their side of the line. Over 90% of the time their repair tech does not show up when promised, in fact, 80% of the time they do not show up on the day promised. When calling their service dept. hold times may be over 90 minutes and chat on the computer may be as high as 45 minutes. I wish I had another option for affordable internet. CenturyLink charges $50.00 plus for 1.5 MEG service that normally runs about 1.1 MEG.

CenturyLink response

Hello Wayne, we want to apologize that you're not receiving the speeds you're paying for, and that you've had missed tech appointments in the past. We'd love to look into this concern for you, and find a resolution for your account and services. Please let us know if you'd like the assistance by responding here. We look forward to hearing from you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I normally don't review anything, but I feel this needs to be said. Since the beginning of using CenturyLink's internet we've had nothing but problems left and right. We were promised up to 10 Mbps of download speed, but according to multiple reports and countless customer service and technical support contacts we've been told that we aren't getting what was promised. We've tried getting an upgrade which was unavailable to use, we've tried sending out technicians to tamper with the outside AND inside wiring, but to no avail. As we speak, yet ANOTHER technician is being sent out and is due to arrive around 5 P.M. today.

Our broadband is completely unstable according to personal testing and testing from the technicians and supports at CenturyLink. No amount of optimization helped our situation. Our ping/latency whichever you prefer to call it would always spike to a height that is unacceptable for what we are currently paying (which is $45 a month plus tax). Something as simple as downloading a picture would send our ping through the roof to about 400+. There were even times where it would go over a thousand. I have tried everything in my power with all the knowledge of wireless and hard-wired connection I possess to try and at least solve the unstable portion of the problem, but it bore no fruit.

The amount of disappointment is immeasurable for we have dealt with problems evolving becoming worst as time went on from day one. We can't even switch to another company with DSL or Fiber cables due to our location which just adds insult to injury. I apologize if this sounds too harsh, but all honesty I cannot put into words how infuriating this is. Gaming is nearly impossible, uploading music to Youtube takes literally all day, downloading of ANY kind can take anywhere from 5 minutes to 5 hours depending on what is being downloaded. Lastly, our only other options are to simply continue deal with the awful service, switch to satellite internet (which is not ideal considering we live in Florida and it's been raining almost all year), or relocated which is rather difficult at the moment.

CenturyLink response

Hello Keano, we understand the importance of having working internet in today's day and age, and want to apologize for the connection and speed issues you continually run into. We'd love to look into this for you; please let us know if you'd like the help by responding here. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

How can you run a business if your service is frequently down or extremely slow. Calls to customer service always take over 40 minutes with no resolution. You cannot trust what they say in my experience. I have service in NJ and Colorado and have similar experiences. NJ, I cancelled phone service over 16 months ago but, every month I am still billed and when I call they claim I never cancelled? They said they have no notes saying I cancelled? So, I cancelled again and again and again. Still getting billed. Unfortunately I have no other provider in my area. Plus, I can't up or download projects because of the extremely slow or non-existent service.

In Colorado they sent modems I never requested and proceeded to charge me every month. I explained I never requested or used their modems and should have a refund of the charges. They wouldn't refund the charges and asked for me to send the modems back. They sent a return label so I sent it back. The next few months I was still charged? Another few hours and several calls later they finally took the modems off the bill but, never returned the payments I made?

CenturyLink response

Hello Dwight, we can understand the frustrations of dealing with inaccurate billing and charges, as well as not receiving the necessary help to get this resolved. We'd love to look into these concerns for you, and answer any questions you may have. Please let us know if you'd like the help by responding here; thank you.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

To start after being told we would have 3 phone lines for our home and business needs for a total of $140.00 per month everything went downhill. The installer came out and installed only phone line and told us we were wrong about the order. We called their so called customer service department. They did send out another installer who after several attempted excuses did manage to put on the other 2 lines. Then the bills started coming in at $200, 300, 400 and more every month the bills got higher and more incorrect.

It has been 7 months now still the bills come in wrong and after at least 10 phone calls to billing, customer service, customer retention (what a joke) and more still the bills are wrong. We are now going to try to figure out how much we overpaid and take another run at it before we are forced to find other phone service. I would NEVER recommend anyone to deal with this company. All our friends have had similar experiences.

CenturyLink response

We're sorry to hear that there was trouble initially with getting the requested services installed, and that you're now running into billing issues. We'd be happy to look into this for you, and if you'd like the assistance, please let us know by responding here. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I had an unfortunate mishap with a field guy who canceled my order. In the end a supervisor named Craig went above and beyond by sending his guys out to clean up the previous guys' mess. Thank you so much.

CenturyLink response

We are so glad that Craig was able to help you get your services up and running after our mistaken cancellation. That's the kind of service we want to see from all of our representatives. If you have any questions or concerns for us about your service, please let us know by responding here and we'd be happy to help.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

Network frequently dropping as well as having download speeds as low as 75 Mbps... THIS is their "high speed" service. They finally admitted to being "down" for at least six days and have agreed to a refund. Tech support is non-existent, unsurprising considering terrible network delivery. They enjoy a monopoly in this location; the instant there is an alternative, contract with CenturyLink will be canceled.

CenturyLink response

Hello, we're sorry to see that your services are not up and running at this time, and that you didn't receive the customer service necessary in order to get this resolved. We'd love to look into this for you, just let us know if you'd like the help by responding here.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

After almost ten years of bad service and ridiculously slow internet streaming, I had enough. I drove to the nearest Centurystink; sorry, I meant Centurylink office, turned in my equipment and cancelled my account. My prorated bill showed a balance of $100, which seemed accurate. Two weeks later I logged into my closed account, it now showed a balance of $250. They had discovered a conversation over eighteen months ago I had with a service rep, that they say proves I had agreed to a twenty four month contract extension. Of course I don't recall it.

I had called their customer (abuse) service so many times over the past years I lost count. They had no written proof or a recording of the conversation, and I called them on it. They didn't like that. And like I expected, they refused to do anything about it. They could have, at the least, reduced the "cancellation fee", but would not. I filed a grievance with the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Affairs, and am waiting on a response from CenturyLink. ConsumerAffairs will mediate this sort of thing but it's all voluntary, so I don't expect them to participate. I am a 62 year old veteran living on a limited income. I still work a $12 an hour job. My 61 year old wife is unemployed. This is how CenturyLink treats ten year customers.

CenturyLink response

Hello Jonathan, we are sorry to hear that you have run into billing issues on a closed account. We'd be happy to look into this for you; please let us know if you'd like the assistance by responding here, and we'll take it from there. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I have been a CenturyLink customer -dial tone- since 2003. Since 2003, ALL monthly phone bills were settled via monthly auto-pay on credit card. In 2017, a cust service rep called me to advise the CC expiration date on my card was ending. I gave her new expiration date- She advised new policy stated all auto-pay credit card customers would be getting a $3.50 monthly additional charge. I then set up auto-pay with my bank. Sadly, I set up auto-pay at 25th of each month. My billing cycle was the 18th of each month. Since Jan 2018, every bill has been adding on a $7.00 'late fee'. I am not stupid- I have a credit score in high 700's. I was given bad info and have had to pay $ because of it. Had I not been given bad info, I would continue to be a customer. The phone is at our ski condo- out of state- and is rarely used. Adios, CenturyLink.

CenturyLink response

Hello M, we can understand the frustration of dealing with autopay and billing, and would love to resolve this issue for you should you need it, or answer any questions or concerns you may have about your account. Please let us know if you'd like the assistance by responding here. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I cancelled my service and got a cable company. I kept getting a bill every month for more money. I called. No record. We cancelled it. Another bill came with another month added to it. By this time my husband is hot so he called. They have record. We talked to them but no record. We cancelled. Of course we keep getting disconnected every time and have to call back and with all over again and wait again to be transferred over and over. Well guess what? Another bill came with another bill more of course so I called. Talked to supervisor. She was taking care of it. It still no record. We cancelled it. Now months later after not hearing any more we get a collections notice for over 200 dollars. Now they want to ruin my perfect credit. They need to do something about their customer service!

CenturyLink response

Hello Lisa, we can understand why this would be frustrating, and want to apologize for the lack of customer service that was needed to get your account closed. We'd love to look into this for you in order to get the issue resolved, just let us know if you'd like the help by responding here. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Ordered internet service online, all went well until the confirmation page where my monthly charge went from $55 per month to $154 per month. Two days later and over two hours on hold and transferred to multiple departments for more hold time and it is still not resolved. Apparently their agents cannot help you if you order their service online. Their employees do not even know which department or phone number to transfer you to. Highest level of broken processes and incompetence I can imagine.

Now I need the "customer loyalty" department to cancel the service. Had I not insisted on getting the phone number before being transferred I would have another hour on hold to get the number of transferred. When I was transferred to the loyalty department it simply said it was after hours and hung up on me. Unless you enjoy poor billing practices and quality time with your phone on hold I would recommend avoiding CenturyLink completely.

CenturyLink response

Hello Kent, we are disappointed to hear that you have not received the assistance you need in getting your billing questions answered, and subsequently in cancelling your services. We'd be glad to investigate this matter and ensure that your concerns are addressed and resolved. If you'd like our help, please let us know by responding to this message and we can get started.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I was supposed to get my service installed today. The service was scheduled anytime today 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM. I kept waiting until 1:30 no one showed up. I called the customer service number and an agent responded after about 20 minutes. I was told that an agent should show up after 20 minutes. I called them after an hour and I had to wait for about 38 minutes to get an agent. She put me in hold for about 30 minutes then she told me that they might not be able to install it today! I asked her what's the next available appointment would be she put me in hold and she never came back. The call was disconnected after an hour and half!! I think I will cancel the service and find another provider.

CenturyLink response

Hello Abdullah, we are sorry to hear that your installation was missed, and that you did not receive the necessary help to get this resolved. We'd love to look into this for you in order to provide a reasonable solution- please let us know if you'd like the help by responding here. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I have had CenturyLink for over a year. The prices are not consistent and they keep increasing my price. I have talked to over 3 people in the retention department and they keep trying to push a price that I am unable to afford. The customer service is inconsistent and they lie! They don’t listen nor care to help the customers that they do have. I spoke to a very rude representative Nick and he needs intense training on how to work with customers. I rather cancel my service than to be treated like just a number! I will be reviewing on all platforms and also will be telling my friends and family to stay away!

CenturyLink response

Hello Stephanie, we want to apologize for the lack of customer service that you've received, and want to extend an offer of assistance should you like it. We'd love to review your account and answer any other questions you may have to resolve your issues. Please let us know if you'd like the help by responding here.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Beware of CenturyLink, had services with them for over 3 years but switched to a cable provider that offered internet services. Upon cancellation of my account the account representative recommended that we place the account on suspension in case we would like to open it back up. Needless to say a year and half later we are getting a bill that we owe 149.00 in back fees. The fees are not for internet service used but are for monthly fees for suspending the account. A company can show their true colors through small things such as customer services, do your research. Why are other companies willing to work with you?

CenturyLink response

Hello Jeffrey, we want to apologize for the billing issues you're trying to get resolved. We'd love to look into this for you, in order to reach a resolution- just respond here to get started and we'll take it from there. We look forward to hearing from you.

CenturyLink Company Information