2.94/5
Based on 2,888 ratings submitted in the last year

formerly Qwest

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

CenturyLink Reviews

Original review: Oct. 12, 2019

After being a customer of QWEST/Century Link for many years, I called in Sept of 2018 to cancel my internet. My troubled teenager was accessing her friends through our smart TV. The rep convinced me to place a 6 month suspension on account. Unfortunately, he failed to submit the paperwork to suspend service. After several months of receiving bills, I called to inquire. They said it was my fault for not bringing it to their attention earlier. Excuse me! I was in and out of the hospital, not to mention, it's not my job to micromanage them. After many calls (and many hours), they refuse to credit my account. Yesterday, I received a letter from a collection agency, which means that it is now effecting my stellar credit. I am furious!

CenturyLink response

Hello Cynthia. I am sorry to hear that we did not fulfill our commitment to you with our six month suspension. We would be happy to look into this and see how we can make this right. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

Id like to start by mentioning the fact that I'm in a very rural location. While I appreciate that they still offer service in my neighborhood, it's extremely inefficient and ends up taking more of my time and resources. They've called me 3 times in the past 3 years I've had service with them and they say that they've made recent improvements in my area. Unfortunately when the technician shows up to make the upgrade, they call me and tell me that there's no way that I can get the speeds that the people on the phone claim I should be able to receive. After a bunch of calls and run-arounds with their customer service, I realize that it's their marketing dept. that calls me and has nothing to do with knowing whether or not my area has been upgraded. Now I'm sitting in the middle of nowhere with a new modem I can't even use. And I'll have to waste time returning it, since they didn't send a return slip, like they said they would.

This has been the third time it's happened. After all of these annoyances, I'm still only getting 4.1 mbps, I'm paying for 20mbps. They put me on some kind of special deal where I only pay $35 for 12mbps, but I'm still not even getting that. After talking with some of the managers, they say that there's nothing they can do about charging me less or getting me the speeds they are actually charging for. My problem is that, why can they take the time to bother me so often about an upgrade in my neighborhood and NOT JUST ACTUALLY DO IT!!! Then when I simply ask for a cheaper plan, they refuse? Seems pretty criminal to me. They make me pledge to a contract that they can't even abide by?

I confirmed with the last technician that came out, and also tech support over the phone, that 4.1 is pretty much the highest I can get. I'm not sure, but I also may only be getting DSL, which isn't broadband, like the contract says?? Too many discrepancies and way less help than what I'm paying for. I'm in talks with Satellite internet since these guys are so adamant about either wasting my time or money. Complete frauds. My advice is to stay as far away from this company as possible. You'll end up doing more work and spending more money than what you'll receive. Not to mention the horrible customer service you'll have to deal with in the meantime.

CenturyLink response

Hello Jeremy we're sorry to hear you're experiencing difficulties with your service, and that you're running into walls regarding customer service. We'd be happy to look into anything regarding your account or service, just let us know if you'd like our assistance by reaching out to us here.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

Had phone service. Wanted internet. No one showed for 2 days! We are disabled and they wasted our time! Disconnected phone service. So upset. Now stuck with $300 iPod cannot use. Will never again use CenturyLink.

CenturyLink response

Hello F.C. we are sorry to hear that you had issues regarding your service, and this has led to you leaving our company. While we understand you are no longer a customer of ours, we do want to offer our help should you still have any other questions or concerns for us, just let us know if you'd like our help by responding to us here.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

I had been a CenturyLink customer for over 17 years then we unexpectantly sold our home and had to move out of the service area. Within a couple of days I no longer had access to my emails! Did not know that you had to continue with their service to continue to keep the ONLY email address I had. After arguing with them about it because I had all our communications with the lawyers on it plus upcoming reservations and other important documents, I had to reactivate my account at the house I no longer owned in order to get my emails. I had to pay for that privilege!

After speaking to a couple more reps since no one allowed me to really talk to a manager it seemed as though they "allowed" me to keep my email which was a good thing because some companies weren't letting me change my email address for one reason or another. HOWEVER, I am again having issues accessing it due to a verification problem. When I move back into their service area - I WILL NOT USE THEM for any of my services. They were very unhelpful - they don't really seem to care.

CenturyLink response

Hello Donna, we understand your frustration with not being able to keep a CenturyLink domain email account without having CenturyLink service. If you have any other questions or concerns regarding your account or closed service, please let us know by responding to us here, and we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

I'm an 80 year who needs my phone connected so that my home security company that keeps tabs on my well is connected. I had a problem with my account and they did not care, they disconnected it regardless.

CenturyLink response

Hello Carmen, we are sorry to see this was your recent experience with us - we could understand how that'd be frustrating. If you still have questions about your disconnected account, or have any lingering concerns that you need addressed, please let us know if you'd like our help by responding to us here.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CenturyLink?

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

I called customer service for help with my 74 yr old mother's account. Turns out she's been LEASING her modem for about 15 years! When I asked the guy why CenturyLink doesn't automatically remove the charge once the modern is paid for or at least let their customers know after a certain amount of time he stated "CenturyLink doesn't have time to do that since thousands of customers are currently leasing". When I did the math my mom could have bought 18 new modems with all the money she has paid leasing a $100 modem!! He then said "Would you like me to move her to purchase"? Well duh dingbat what do you think I would say? "No my mom enjoys paying years and years for your $100 modem let's keep leasing"!?!? Hell yeah move it to purchase. Why didn't you do this when I called the other 3 times.

STOP TRYING TO SELL ME DIRECTV. Please tell your reps when a customer says NO don't keep pressuring and asking why not. It's annoying and unprofessional to say the least. PLEASE TELL YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS TO CHECK ON THEIR LEASE LET'S STOP GIVING CENTURYLINK MONEY FOR NOTHING.

CenturyLink response

Hello we could understand your frustration - there can be confusion sometimes when it comes to leasing vs what people believe to be "rent to own". If you have any other questions or concerns for us though, please let us know if you'd like our help by responding here, and we'll be glad to assist.

Resolution response: Oct. 20, 2019

As of this date I have been assured that a credit has been issued leaving a $0.00 balance and there will be no further action necessary. Thank you to all involved in resolving this issue.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2019

I contacted Century Link in August 2019 to change from my current provider. As it turned out Century Link service requires a telephone jack. I live in a Senior community that was built in the past 6 years. There are no phone jacks. There is a receptacle in the wall with a cover on it. I called Century Link when I received the modem and explained that I was not able to connect the modem. They offered to send a tech to install the jack and explained it could cost $100.00. In the meanwhile being a 77 year old female with limited mobility and other health issues I had to go to Colorado to stay with my daughter a couple of weeks. Before leaving I got a return label from Century Link and returned the modem in the original packaging. (I copied the label) When I spoke to an agent on the phone I explained what happened with the modem and that I was returning it and staying with my original provider.

On September 24 2019 I received a bill from Century link for prorated charges for Century Link Internet service and landline service for a telephone number shown on the statement as **. I NEVER had this phone number. My landline never changed and Century Link was never connected in my home. It is impossible without a phone jack. But, they also are charging me a disconnect fee of $16.00 for something that was never connected. The total bill is $39.69. I called and spoke with Darlene on the 24th. She stated I had to pay for the service even though it was never connected, for one reason I can't prove there is NO PHONE JACK in my home. Plus I owe for having the service even though the modem was immediately returned to them.

I told her that $39.69 is a lot of money to a Senior on Social Security and trying to extort money from a Senior is abusive practice and against the law. She then ask if I would be willing to evaluate their Customer Service at the end of the call. I can't believe that a multi-billion company like Century Link is so willing to extort $40.00 from a disabled Senior Citizen. They should be exposed for what they are doing. I gave them one star for a review because no stars wasn't an option. I have copies of bills and labels. I am not an advanced computer user and I don't know how to add them to this review. I could also take photos if the wall where the phone jack would normally be. Thank you.

Mary

CenturyLink response

Hello, Mary. I can definitely understand why you would be upset. I would be too if I was sent bills for services that I never received. I would be happy to go over this with you and help you take care of these charges if you send us a message on here. I look forward to working with you!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2019

Hands down the worst customer service experience I've ever received. Moved to a new house and transferred my service with an upgrade to fiber-optic! The person I talked to was super helpful, then the technician came... We moved into a new house that had CAT-5 previously installed; the tech related that it wasn't his job, but the house builders to put in new fiber optic cable in the house so he put a hold on our work order.

I took his recommendation and everyone I talked to said he was full of crap including the supervisor of the customer service person I talked to; speaking of which... when I called to reschedule another tech appointment, the customer support person laughed at me and this issue I was trying to get resolved. I came unglued, spoke to his supervisor.

The rescheduled window was for 4pm on a Saturday, got an email at 2pm saying he was at or house when we weren't, because I knew we weren't going to be there then, what's the importance of scheduled if they aren't used? Called a handful of people; couldn't get ahold of customer service because they don't work weekends and now I probably have to wait another week for this to get resolved.

This is absolutely absurd, and the other issue is CenturyLink is the only provider of fiber-optic in our area, which we want... You just have to deal with techs who don't want to work too hard on the weekends and customer service reps that are inconsiderate and unhelpful. Connie in tech support (not customer service) deserves a shout out though, talked to her today and she was amazing, just couldn't do anything because it wasn't her department and it was a weekend, but she went out of her way to help me.

CenturyLink response

Hello Daniel. I am sorry that we provided you with poor customer service. Your installation should have happened correctly the first time. We would be happy to assist you and address any questions or concerns you may have. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

Just got off the phone with a rep named Alex trying to order an upgraded modem. The conversation In a nutshell was I either pay the $150 or go buy one myself. He then went on trying to sell me other service. I told him I only needed the modem. He gave me no other option, which now I found out I can lease. I asked to speak with his supervisor and he kept asking me why. I finally spoke with someone else. I am now shopping for another provider. CenturyLink is now bullying customers. Poor way to run a business.

CenturyLink response

Hello Lucy, we could understand how that'd be a frustrating experience, and apologize that you weren't properly assisted the first time you called in. If you have any other questions or concerns you still need addressed, then please reach out to us here and we'll be happy to help.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

CenturyLink internet has become very slow and freezes up in my area. This has went on for a long time. I call and file a complaint and I am told it is because the system has too many customers in this area and in the evening when everyone is on the internet it slow down or freezes up. They tell me their engineers are working on the problem but do not have a date when it will be fixed. My daughter lives next door and has CenturyLink also. She does classes online and has a very hard time submitting her work thru the internet.

I have been with CenturyLink almost 30 years. But I am really tired of their service these days. They also have those little green towers on every road. All knocked down or have orange bags on them and still down. I also report these down and no one ever comes out and fixes them. Why? What happened to good customer service and a good product. CenturyLink still takes my money every month, but the service is really bad here in northern Indiana. Help please?

CenturyLink response

Hello Judy. I am sorry to hear about the troubles you have been having with our service and that when you tried to report issues. We would be happy to see how we can help. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

Tried to change my email address. Simple enough, right? Log in, change it and be done. Nope. I try to log in. My password doesn't work. "Okay, I'll try again." Nothing. "Maybe I'll reset it." In order to reset, you need to have your username, that's normal. So I enter my username and it says it's not on record. Well that's not right. I've logged in before. I try again and nothing. The website says I can have them send me my username, just enter my email address. I do this, and it says my email address is not on record. But I'm getting bills emailed to me, and I've accessed the account before.

Fairly frustrated, I call to find out what's going on. The robot answers and gives me lots of options but nothing to help my problem. I know I need to talk to a live person, but there is no option for that. So after 10 minutes of negotiating with the robot, I just say, "I want to speak to a live person." I was mad, but it understood me and said, "I know you want to speak to a live representative, but I need you to listen to these options first." They were the same worthless options from the start.

I finally get patched through and the gal can't help me log in. Bless her, she's giving me things to enter into the website and nothing is working. So she directs me to someone else. While on hold, the "on hold" recording timed out and had me start the ENTIRE phone call process over again. Unbelievable. I had had it. I went it alone, and after sending probably 20 emails to myself, because it was not accepting my username, I finally discovered the website doesn't accept it if I TYPE in my username, but it WILL accept it if I copy it in from the email it sent me.

Something is terribly wrong with this site. It needs to be addressed. And the robot needs to give the option to speak to a live representative. And they need to have ONE clear chat page that has an actual chat box in it. Hopefully things get fixed because I have already been directing people away from CenturyLink on the basis of their terrible website and broken log-in page, and customer service that didn't help at all, but in fact, tried to make me start the phone call over.

CenturyLink response

Hello Nick. I am sorry to hear about your poor experience with our website. We would be happy to assist you and address any outstanding questions or concerns you may have. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

I love the disclaimer this box gives before writing a review. They want factual so that is what I will give. Hang tight this will be a long one. I First spoke to a representative about what the type of phone service it was that I was suppose to be receiving and the lady (no exaggeration) sounded like she was not in a sober state of mind. She was not coherent whatsoever. I even had to ask her if she was okay because she genuinely sounded like she wasn't. It was very disconcerting. I had to hang up the phone because I think she forgot who she was working for and where she was. So I hung up the phone and contemplated "wow is this the service I am going to be paying for monthly?? Is this even real life?" Regardless, I hope shes okay. So I redialed and prayed that It would be with another representative that could help.

It was a very pleasant lady that answered my questions efficiently and courteously on 9/28/19. We verified that the tech should come between 8 am - 10 am (since I have meetings the rest of the day) and that he should call me 30 minutes prior to arriving so I can greet him promptly. All of this to take place on 10/2/2019 (TODAY). I had no reason to call again because I thought everything was already set and ready to go. All was well, CenturyLink was on the way to redemption (so I thought). Today comes around and the time is 9:40 am and I thought "geez I don't think they are going to be here on time. I have a meeting at 11 am, I should call."

I call and speak with a lady named Brittney that explained to me "no one is coming because you cancelled your service." Confused as I have ever been I said "certainly not me, who cancelled the service?" She said, "Whomever answered the door..." Well I was home all day, no one spoke with me or my husband (owners of the account). My husband works all day and I work from home, thus why I need this internet service today and no later or else the training moves on without me and I am out of a contract job and money. So obviously I have a million questions for the lady. She REFUSED and I mean REFUSED to allow me to speak.

I even thought that she transferred me to an automated voice system until she made a sarcastic comment which at that point Brittney gave me the impression she just hated me and her customers and couldn't care less about my issue. I asked to speak with a supervisor which at this moment, to my surprise she magically heard me and said she doesn't have one. So be aware potential customers, that representatives apparently work without supervision to treat us however they are feeling that day.

I was then transferred to another call center I presume, and spoke with a lady Misty. She was gathering my information and blew a little wind out of her mouth in frustration after not being able to pull up my account and said "ugh it's just that your accent is so strong".... Confused again I said "accent?" It was the first time I have ever heard that before being that I was born and raised in Cape Coral Florida where the accents couldn't be more plain but what a weird thing to say.. I was going to ask her questions but I could already tell how that phone call was going to go so instead of cause myself more stress, I asked for a supervisor. She placed me on hold and came back on the line 3 times to try and convince me that the supervisor did not have time for me because they were so busy and there was already two people ahead of me.

I politely told her I would wait and that telling me that she is too busy is not an appropriate answer. I am the customer and I am willing to wait. She then said okay. After three times of trying to get me to hang up and dismiss my issue, her tone changed and she was searching for a supervisor to assist me. I then spoke with a Tessica and told her my issue. I understand that these employees truly do not care for any headaches or inconveniences they cause their customers as their job title seems to be to just toss us around to a bunch of different people where some are helpful but most of them treat their customers like dirt and couldn't care less. But I, as a customer DO CARE and I care what other people have to experience when dealing with these corporations. It's a monopoly. What choice do we have?

I am 5 months pregnant with a high risk pregnancy stuck at home needing to make money to support myself and my child. It was made impossible today with CenturyLink. My issue is still unresolved as I am waiting on a higher up supervisor to call me back by 12 pm as suggested by Tessica. By the lack of attention and concern I have seen thus far, I hate to say this, but I doubt that I will see that call come through but we will see. If you have this service or a problem with the representatives, I implore you to speak up. Customers should not be treated this way when we pay to keep them in business and working. I am a customer service representative myself and I wouldn't dare deliver this type of service to even my worse enemy. CenturyLink, Your business has the most horrendous customer service I have received so far and something NEEDS to be done. Today was completely unacceptable.

CenturyLink response

Hello Jazz. We are very sorry to hear about your poor experience with our service. We would be happy to assist you and help resolve your concerns. We look forward to hearing from you and working with you.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

My relationship with CentryLink ended with a bang. It started when my internet stopped working. No cause what so ever right before Labor day. I called customer service. They said they could send someone out on the following Tuesday. I told them I actually work for a living. They said I did not have to be home. I still didn't trust it because that just sounded suspicious but I begrudgingly acquiesce. Tuesday comes, I come home and internet still is not working. I go to pick up a package from the apartment office. While there the apartment manager tells me a CentryLink tech went to a completely different apartment looking for me. Since my manager cannot legally give out resident's address the tech did not go to my home. I've lived at my address for almost 2 years. I have no idea where they even got the other address. So like an idiot I call costumer service again.

This time I was trying to find a time that work in their 8am to 3pm window. I asked for next available which was a weekday. I was going take a weekend but decided I would convince my job to allow me to leave early on a weekday. I asked for a specific day, Thursday. Wednesday comes I call to verify, because paranoia, found out appointment is scheduled for the wrong day. I spoke to a supervisor, nothing they can do for mistake that their associate made. But I can check for a cancellation same day.

Since I had to use PTO to get time off I can't take it back from work. Next day I call again and ask, not expecting anything, if there was any cancellations. Simple yes or no answer. This associate says she will send out a page. This sounds promising. I have the time to wait. the day goes on and nothing happens. I call back, and speak to another supervisor. No there there were no cancellations and there he says there was no guarantee that a tech would come out if paged. If I was told that from the get go things would have been different. I will say I did lose my temper and said things that I still do not regret saying. I hung and called to cancel my service. This person I spoke to was nice enough. I explained everything that happened. she told me I would not be billed for not having internet from 08/25 on and that because I had a $50 credit a check would be mailed out. She also said I may get a final bill in the mail.

Fast forward to today 10/01/2019. I get a bill for $32.86. That's high since I lost internet 1 day before my billing cycle ended (I looked up) and I know CenturyLink bills for services a month ahead. So I call CenturyLink again. Get to their billing department. Find out that the charge came from the tech who did not know my address and never entered my apartment. He charge for services the associate can't see and that tech is the only one who can remove them. Also my bill is late. I was flabbergasted. I don't even know the guy's name to hunt him down. I ended up paying the bill because credit is everything in today's world.

So in short if techs can willy nilly charge you for work that can't be looked up by customer service, questioned, or reversed then chances are there may be other borderline practices going on. As for customer service, being that it is in another country (I know a couple of other companies that employ that region of the world and it's no better) comprehension is a nightmare. If you are considering CenturyLink don't bother. The price looks pretty but the lack of customer service WILL catch up to you. There is a good chance I will not be seeing that $50 credit either.

CenturyLink response

Hello we are sorry to see that your recent experience with us made you leave our company - if you still have any questions or concerns that you'd like reviewed, then please reach out to us here and we'll be happy to help.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

I have been a CenturyLink customer for decades. I have had so many repairs. My line is 10,000 to 17,000 feet from the terminal and I can not get speeds above 6Mbps. Need to upgrade the line. Who can help me?

CenturyLink response

Hello Clarence, we understand the frustration that comes from service affected by distance - if you have any questions about your account or service, please respond to us here. We'd be happy to help, and look forward to hearing from you!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

I love up to 100 mg internet, but I don't think I will ever have gig speed unless I live in a large city like Mpls or St. Paul. It's been like 4 years since gig speed came out and CenturyLink has not expanded to smaller cities. CenturyLink is losing a lot of money, these phone lines are old technology. You need fiber optic lines.

CenturyLink response

Hello Craig, we're happy to hear that our high speed 100mbps package is meeting your needs - if you have any questions about your account or service, then please let us know by responding to us here. We look forward to working with you!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2019

I live in a small neighborhood of 23 homes in NC. Up until a few months ago internet wasn't great but it was working. Recently we've had multiple homes having constant issues with internet. I've lost count of how many technicians have come out only to apparently band aid the issue as outage occurs again. Funny thing is when they get one home working someone else's stops. No one seems to be able to fix this issue. Better yet we can't seem to convince them there is an issue. It's takes a week to ten days to even get someone out, causing people to have to be out of work because they give you 4 hours windows. We are beginning to wonder if they really exist. You can never seem to get to anyone that can do anything. We do not have any other viable options for internet based on where we live. Attempting to escalate your issue is a joke. If at all possible stay away from Centurylink.

CenturyLink response

Hello Renee. I am sorry to hear that your services are not working properly. We would be happy to look into this for you. Just reach out to us here privately for further assistance.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2019

CenturyLink sent contractors out to install their fiber in my neighborhood and left coax connectors, cigarette butts and cables all over my yard which my dog almost choked on. They ruined my privacy fence by walking along the top instead of using the ladders they used in every other yard that did not have a fence to walk along. Currently seeking restitution for the hundreds of dollars of damage they did to my property.

CenturyLink response

Hello Max. I am sorry that our contractors damaged your property. We would be happy to see how we can assist with your claim. Please reach out to us privately here.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2019

My neighborhood recently had fiber optic installed. I have a large yard with close 700 feet of frontage where they buried the cable. Honestly my yard wasn’t put back to its original condition which was disappointing. I didn’t press the issue knowing I’d finally get some high speed internet soon so I let it slide. I received information Century Link stating that to complete the install to get internet to my home would cost me $2100 with a $600 credit would only cost me $1500. That’s right I have fiber optic in my front yard and it’s still going to cost me $1500. I can’t help to think they are taking advantage of me. I’m guessing this is something they do to many people which is unfortunate. I work in radio and will have no issues sharing their business practices with my listeners.

CenturyLink response

Hello JC. Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. We would love the chance to review this install charge and see what happened. Please reach out to us here and we would be happy to help.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

To say this company has any compassion and love for their customers is a big fat LIE! Was told they could service my area, got a good deal on TV and internet to be told after 2 weeks of attempting to get someone out to my house, that they do not service my area now. 5 techs were supposed to come out and each one said they did and "closed" the ticket saying they fixed the issue, when in fact I was home all day every time, because I work nights, and no one came. Also, they never told me that I couldnt cancel DirecTV when I signed up with them. They promised me I could just like the internet with no contract or penalties.

Every person I call and talk to doesn't listen to me and refuses to let me talk to a supervisor unless I explain why I need to talk to one. They just keep saying "I'm sorry maam". I have talked to 25 employees and 5 supervisors to get no help or follow up. They do not call you back to see how it is going. Thankfully the one good tech that came and spent 10 hours working on the internet was honest and told me about Olive IP which we have now and the internet is way better than the 1.5 mbps we were gonna get at my house in the country. DO NOT SIGN UP WITH THEM! THEY WILL TAKE YOUR MONEY AND RUN!

CenturyLink response

Hello Samantha. I am sorry to hear about your poor experience with our company. It should not have taken 25 or more people for you to get help or follow up. I am glad to hear that one of our technicians was able to assist you though. We would be happy to help with any outstanding questions or concerns you may have.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

We recently moved to a new home and signed up for service with CenturyLink. They sent us the modem and confirmation number and stated our service would be hooked up by Friday night. Saturday: No internet. They said they had problems but it will be on by Monday night. Tuesday: No internet. They said they had problems but it will be on by Wednesday night. Thursday: No internet. They said "sorry we made a mistake, we are not accepting new customers". Explained that I already have their modem and a confirmation number. Didn't matter, they refused to provide service.

CenturyLink response

Hello Matt. I am sorry that you experienced issues when trying to set up internet service with us. We would be happy to look into why we couldn't set up service and see how we can help. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

CenturyLink is a scam! Our business (acct#**) signed a contract with CenturyLink in October of 2018. CenturyLink never installed the equipment (it is sitting outside our server room). CenturyLink quoted 1 month to set up. It is almost 1 year later and they still have not started the service. They did start billing us and continue to. I have asked them to credit it off since the beginning but just getting the run around.

Here are some of the quotes from a Senior Manager at CenturyLink to us: October 9, 2018 - "Good News the install may take a few months." January 2, 2019 - "Alton, Was our tech ever onsite for the install?" January 4, 2019 - If we do not hear from him(Alton) I am getting my boss involved. January 15, 2019 - "I have not heard anything." January 22, 2019 - "My boss is trying to get you a response." January 22, 2019 - "It's really frustrating." January 312, 2019 - "They were suppose to send you an update. Not happy that they didn't." February 21, 2019 - "Hey Alton, Michael is looking for some help here." March 7, 2019 - "Alton, is there something we can do?" April 16, 2019 - "I sent for an update last week. I will try again." April 16, 2019 - "I am sorry this process is so long and it seems it will never end."

May 8, 2019 - "I actually am helping Aaron because he reached out in frustration because of your current project manager. I was able to get your account number from him. I think I have everything I need aside from possibly having you resign the LOA forms for porting the numbers over again because the previous ones are expired." May 14, 2019 - "I have been emailing the project manager but she has not gotten back to me yet. There isn’t anything that we have left to do so there really shouldn’t be an issue. I will email her again and forward this chain."

May 14, 2019 "I'm growing more frustrated day by day, and I hope we can resolve soon. We’ll talk about credits when it’s over. Thank you Hope, she’s helping us out a lot." May 29, 2019 - "have completed everything requested including the TN portability. I’ve also attached the VQT. Is this moving forward." Many more email of the same over the summer of 2019.

August 6, 2019 "I’m at the point where I’m not sure what to do. I know this account was moved a few weeks back. Maybe the new account team can get something done. I think we can modify the current circuit for internet only, but not sure about adjusting the contract, it’s started billing. I don’t understand the billing, and they’re not willing to work with us. But I see what you see, they’re billing the same toll free on both invoices. I’m trying to get Hope to help me again.

It's tough, and I’m so frustrated. I can’t seem to get any help." I’m trying to reach Hope to see if there is anyone on her end that can get someone to check on the toll free. It is now September 25, 2019 nothing has been done to move this forward. CenturyLink is still invoicing us for a service that was never installed. Warning **** Scam!

CenturyLink response

Hello Michael. I am sorry to hear about your poor experience with our company. We should not be billing you for service that you are not receiving. We would be happy to work with you to resolve the issues you have described in your review. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

I was sold on Prism and in the last 2 years the cost has more than doubled. I am now paying 249.50/month with very few movie channels. I will never use this company again and I am currently looking for another provider. No, I won't use any product from CenturyLink again. I am stuck with my internet because of my email address, I should have never signed up with CenturyLink to begin with. I have phoned them many times about my Prism, with no luck. Don't use these guys! Gary

CenturyLink response

Hello Gary. I am sorry about the frustration you have experienced with our Prism service. We would be happy to address any questions or concerns you have. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

Let me start by saying the internet service itself is great, no complaints. However when the internet service goes out is where everything falls apart. Here's the condensed timeline of the hell that has become Centurylink's internet repair: 9/17/2019 - Internet goes down, I call Centurylink and they say they will send a tech out 9/19.

9/19 - Tech comes out 2 hours late, and tells me he does not have the tools to fix my pair bonded internet, and another tech will need to come back in 3-4 hours (this is a workday mind you). I go back to work, get a text that tech will be at my house at 4:30. I go home, wait, no one shows up. I call CenturyLink at 5:30, they say after 20 mins that the tech will be there later, I can be certain of it. 7:30 rolls around, I don't hear from anyone. I call them yet again, and they tell me the tech cannot make it today, and they will need to reschedule for 9/24, 5 days later.

9/24 - I get a message that the tech will be at my house by 5:00 (no specific time). I take a PTO day from work to be there because they tell me someone MUST be home. I call Centurylink at 10:30 to make absolutely sure someone will be there, and more importantly, a tech with the ability to fix my problem. 6:00 PM rolls around, no one shows up. I call Centurylink YET AGAIN and after 30 mins on hold, am told they have the tech dispatch on the line, and I am 3rd in line for support, and I can be CERTAIN they will be at my house tonight.

While on the phone with the agent, the tech calls me. I put the agent on hold, and answer. The tech tells me he CANNOT make it tonight and will have to come tomorrow. I plead with him to make certain that happens and he mumbles something about no more overtime and he'll email his supervisor. I switch back to the agent, ask for his supervisor, wait for 15 mins, and then am told by the supervisor that she cannot guarantee the tech will be able to come tomorrow.

Are...you...**...serious? I have wasted the better part of at least 12 hours between the phone calls and the waiting around for these people, and they have left me hanging twice now, with no proactive communication. I always have to call them. This is by far the worst experience I have ever had with any telecom company, and I had Comcast in Chicago, which is nationally known awful. I would take Chicago Comcast over this any day. Oh and STILL DON'T HAVE INTERNET, Just awful.

CenturyLink response

Hello Brad. I am sorry to hear about your poor experience with our company. It is frustrating 4to have an appointment for a repair and for the appointment to be rescheduled. We would be happy to see how we can assist to ensure you get a technician out to resolve your service issue. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

Updated on 10/01/2019: Just an update, the fact that they respond to reviews on this site, does not resolve the problem. It’s been about a week now, and so far nothing, I had send my email and my phone number no response at all.

Original review: I thought Cemetery Link internet would be perfect for our rural aria, so not. As soon as I got CenturyLink they messed up my bill with somebody else’s, linked DIRECTV Into my CenturyLink account without my consent. Now I got a charge of $437.11 that CenturyLink want me to pay and they say it’s impossible for CenturyLink to take off, so they send me to DIRECTV. With DIRECTV that was too easy. I’m not their customer, I don’t have an account number. They can not help me with anything, sent me back to CenturyLink. And this has been going on for 5 month now, nether one of these companies are trying to resolve their own mistake.

Every time I try to call to resolve this issue I would be on the phone all day and end up in exact in the same place I started in the morning with no answers. There are so many other great internet services out there. Don’t fall for CenturyLink or DIRECTV. If these companies can not resolve their own mistakes, I’m not sure how they would be able to help you with your needs.

CenturyLink response

Hello Olga. I am sorry that you received a bill for DirecTV service that is not yours. We look forward to hearing from you to resolve this issue.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2019

Let's just say that I have had nothing good happen with CenturyLink in the one year that I moved into my home. Unfortunately it is the only "decent" one there is around in my subdivision. I've always been one to try to understand bandwidth and serviceability for the consumer. I understand that the internet can come down occasionally, but when I have to reset my modem every day at least 3-4 times a day and/or change channels. There is something inherently wrong with the system and the company.

I have done speed tests and I'm getting on average 3-10 mpbs. I pay for 140 mps a month and I've only ever gotten that speed upon setup and for the first 2 or 3 minutes after resetting my modem. I've called into technical support and the only answer I get from them is "Everything looks green on our side" reattempt your reset. I'm just going to cut to the chase... if you have an opportunity to go with another company that has good reviews, even though it might be a little more monthly in costs, DO IT!!!! It is worth it.

CenturyLink response

Hello Matthew. I am sorry to hear that your service has been unreliable. We would be happy to see how we can assist with getting you the speeds that you are paying for. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

Do not, I repeat do not go with CenturyLink. We made the switch about a year ago due to the rates being cheaper. However when they bury the line they left the wire above ground, this meant that animals were able to chew through the line. We put in numerous work orders over 7 month period to have a line fixed and re-buried because we were only getting about 7 MB per second compared to the 65 we were paying for. Even their system when we called said this wasn't right and that we were getting insufficient service. When we finally got to the end of the line they basically told us where to shove it and there was nothing more they would be willing to do. Also I forgot to mention they LIED 4 times about completing the repair job when they didn't. In their company notes it said that it had been completed.

CenturyLink response

Hello, Jeremy. I'm sorry that we didn't get that line buried for you in a more timely manner. I would be happy to take a look at your account and see what we can do to get you the speed that you are paying for. Send us a message on here and I can get started.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

My husband and I recently moved and since we both work from home our company sent in orders for two business lines to be ADDED to the address. Instead of adding the first one they overrode the residential line, never bothered to knock on the door, check that things were working for us, or configure the modem. Since it's a business line we had to go through our work to get a new appointment set up. Second appointment. Technician comes out and is actually helpful. So he sets up two business lines (we offered to set up residential again later because having a job is pretty important to us). The company wouldn't push internet to the second line that was all ready to go sans that. They told the technician Wanted us to call a number. Since again business we called our company who called the number and transferred around. No one would enable internet to the line.

For 20 minutes one of the rep was bellyaching about how that isn't what the ticket said (well sure that's our problem) but then finally looked at the order and it was just as stated. Two business orders for standalone internet. No apology for the inconvenience or their mistake, or blaming us for their error. Plus it never got resolved. They couldn't arrange for a work order to go to the technician who was here and pushed it out another two days for the second line. The first business line that had been overridden sure enough wasn't configured right to work with our company's standards and vpn so he configured it and then left.. (This started Friday, second appt was Monday.) Oh and did I mention we had to explain about 10 times that we needed both lines cuz they kept trying to turn the one working line off?

Okay so now my faith in the company is destroyed and I call to make sure they aren't planning to still charge us for the residential line that was overridden. But of course they were. Customer service rep treated me like an idiot. They said they had to turn it off the next day. Since we only had the one modem I've no idea where this phantom line was feeding. So all day Tuesday I'm working and half expecting someone to turn it off. Luckily they didn't which is a bit shocking considering..

So Wednesday is here and we're supposed to have someone fix my husband's line so he can work. No one showed up all day or knocked on the door or anything ... just like the first Friday. This is by far the worst internet experience of our life and I've been telecommuting for over a decade. I cannot believe the horrible experiences we've had over and over with this company. How hard is it to put a comment on an address saying we need two distinct business lines and one friggin' residential?

CenturyLink response

Hello. I can definitely understand why you would be upset and I'm sorry our tech wasn't more considerate considering what is going on. If you send us a message on here, I would be happy to help you get your services working and make sure you aren't going to be charged for that residential account.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I had CenturyLink service for close to two years. Never could get a bill emailed or printed. This should have been an omen of what was to come. My credit card charged 55.60 per month every month but one day the internet just went off. 10 days of no internet, 30 calls and who knows how many transfers proceeded. They couldn't find my account. When they thought they did (but couldn't access it) I was transferred to another department, and the vicious cycle would repeat.

Finally, frustrated I asked if they could honor the price and just make a new account. They did, and the calls are still mounting. They tried to get me with the install fee. Now they are trying to charge an extra $15 a month. They say it's the difference of a router fee, the same router I had before. That's a $145 annual mark up. So, now I shop for internet service. When the service did run, it was great. But the company's ability to access accounts, problem solve, and live up to commitments is the worst I've every encountered. Getting transferred out of country, by comparison, is an enjoyable experience.

CenturyLink response

Hello, Emerick. I can definitely understand why you would be frustrated and I'm sorry we weren't able to get you the same billing at the time. I can help you get on the correct billing if you send us a message on here.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I made the mistake of calling customer service to ask if they serviced another area that I was thinking of purchasing a home. Miracle the so called customer service rep could not answer the question. So I decided to call back another day since she had worn my patience out. 3 days later I come home from work and I have no internet. So I call India and ask why I have no internet, and lo and behold the genius Miracle put in a work order to cancel my internet and move it to the address I was inquiring about.

So after 3 hours on the phone and 10 nit wits later, they said they couldn’t fix it until the next morning. So like a moron I call back the next morning and spend 58 minutes on the phone and 2 robots later I am told it’s fixed. I get home from work and still no internet. So lucky me I have India on speed dial now, after 2 1/2 hours and 3 more robots they still can’t get my internet back on. But wait they are here to help and care so much about the customers and want to fix the screw up they caused, so they will send a tech out next week. Oh boy can’t wait to see the tech face to face. STAY AWAY!!!! DO NOT USE THIS SO CALLED COMPANY!

CenturyLink response

Hello, Gary. I'm sorry we placed an order when we shouldn't have but I can help you get the services restored to the address it should be at. Send us a message on here and I can help you out.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

Had fiber installed in June. The line was cut three times by contractors (we are in a new community). The CenturyLink contracted technicians repaired the line each time in a VERY timely manner. All of the contracted techs that I have dealt with (4 of them) have been great. They are responsive, professional, and done their jobs well. The service itself has been great. Only one very quick outage in the last 2+ months. That’s where the good ends.

At about 1:30 today my internet dropped. Coincidentally, a tech happened to be next door burying fiber for my neighbor. Knowing that my neighbor has Spectrum, I asked the tech who he was working for, he said CL. "Oh, ok are you here to finally bury my fiber," I asked. He said no, for the neighbor. I said, "He has Spectrum, yes but he is getting CL." "Hmm, ok." "Well, my internet just dropped, did you do something?" Nope. He checked the line, perfect signal no problems. Ok... the dreaded call to Customer Service. Unfortunately, I have had the unpleasant experience of speaking with them in the past. Of course, they want to run through their script of troubleshooting. Which seems especially cumbersome with CL. Finally, 45 minutes into the call, CS discovers that my ‘order’ has been cancelled. 45 minutes later, the best they can do is schedule an install for three days from now.

Just to recap, the service has been installed AND working for over two months. The fiber is installed and powered up. The equipment is installed and working. The service was working until 1:30 PM today. BUT because they canceled the ‘order’, they created a new order for a complete new install for three days from today. I explained that was unacceptable, asked to speak with a supervisor and placed on hold again... Finally after 20 mins, I was transferred to Customer Care. What’s the difference, you might be wondering. Customer Service = overseas; Customer Care = US. Customer Care is much more helpful, nonetheless could not help me. They stated that the dispatch department are the only ones who could override the install date. CC did explain the situation to them and they stuck to their 3 day date. Which is completely unacceptable.

CL made the mistake by canceling my service and their remedy is to do a new install three days later. When all of the equipment and wiring are already installed. Unbelievable. Their customer service is absolutely abysmal. It is actually worse than Spectrum and that is saying something. Fiber is obviously better than cable, which is their saving grace. And there are no other options for fiber in our area. Again, this review is of their Customer Service, or lack thereof, not the actual service. Their CS makes the DMV look like Nordstrom. Jeff Storey needs to make fixing their Customer Service a primary strategic objective in the next 12 months.

CenturyLink response

Hello, Adam. I can definitely understand why you would be frustrated. I would be too if I was told I had to wait three days due to a mistake being made. If you send us a private message, I would be happy to go over this with you and help you get this resolved.

CenturyLink Company Information