1.28/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 19, 2018

834 Fingerhut Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 19, 2018

This business sucks. You can't change your address when you need to. You have to contact customer service to change it and they ask for your bill when applying for credit and if you don't have a bill that has your address on it they won't accept it. For instance I gave them a social security statement with my address and date on it and they didn't accept it. So I don't recommend doing business with them. They suck.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I ordered an in stock item. I was suppose to get it in 6 to 8 days, but 10 days later they have not even shipped it. I have emailed and called customer service literally 50 times or more and no one can answer 2 simple questions. Why hasn't it shipped? When will it ship? Apparently, they think if they ignore you and make it impossible to get the answers that you will just leave them alone. They are sadly mistaken!!!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: April 17, 2018

Got a $400 credit limit and used it to do some Christmas shopping. Have been paying on it for 4 months and pay $20 more than my minimum payment each time and my balance has not gone down a single penny. I wish I had never opened an account. As soon as I have the extra money I will pay off this debt and never order a thing from them again! Don't get roped in like I did, it's not worth it!

Original review: April 17, 2018

This is what I wrote to Lisa Gavales, the interim Chief Executive Office of Bluestem, the company that owns Fingerhut: "Recently I purchased an item from Fingerhut... I had an issue with the tablet from day one. Zeki 9" Touch Screen 8GB Android Tablet with Built-In DVD/CD Player - TBDV986W Item Number: NJ76Y. I called technical support, and the information they provided was wrong. They were talking about me having to return the item, it was defective and I had to send it back. When I questioned why I should pay for it, the agent provided yet more incorrect information. I ended the call. After spending days and talking to friends I was able to get it started. Shortly after I started to get messages about various applications that were not closing. One after the other, and I could not continue my posts.

"I called Tech support again, the person told me to do, what I had done before again which was to reset the tablet. Did that. I did not have many applications, most were the ones that came with the tablet. So, in a few days it started to happen again. At this point I called and stated that I wanted to return the item, and did not think that I should pay for it ( knowing that the shipping costs would be deducted from my downpayment of 30.00. I was told no problem and would be shipped out a label. Well the label that was shipped to me was just a simple address label... no postage. I called Again, and explained, I was advised that I would be shipped out the correct label. It was received and I returned the item.

"Once the company was in receipt of the item I inquired about my refund. Now, Fingerhut has my account number and sure did charge my account ASAP after I placed the order, yet, I was advised that I would be receiving a check in 2 weeks, which at this point infuriated me. They have my account information. YET I had to wait for a check. I will admit, at this point I was very angry, and hung up after stating I did not care how I get the money, just send me my (yes I used the F bomb) money. Today, about 2 weeks later, I called and was informed that the refund has not been sent because I hung up on the previous agent. When I inquired what that had to do with my refund since it is a given he hesitated then said it had to be confirmed. So I said, "Ok. What exactly do you need from me." He put me on hold, then came back and stated that I was now confirmed. Not explaining what that meant or any confirmation number or anything.

"So, basically what I think at this point is the previous agent wanted to basically ensure that I did not get the refund and had to go through the inconvenience of dealing with yet more inept customer service. There was nothing that this customer service agent I spoke to today needed to do for me to get the refund... I need to state that at this point having dealt with numerous outsourcing customer service agents, the ones that are polite, but most inept are the ones from the Philippines. And personally am getting very very tired of the runarounds, no direct answers and errors. I left a message for a supervisor to call me, but, at this point I wanted to write to you directly. The refund is only 15.00, but to me that is money for other things such as medication. Plus no one should have to go through this."

Original review: April 16, 2018

My wife and I got a laptop from them for work purposes and it has been a nightmare from start and they don’t care AT ALL and have told us this on the phone. When the laptop was delivered all seemed well, then we tried to use MS Office Suite and we were unable to access these products and we kept getting a pop-up saying to enter product code # found on the back of your laptop which we were unable to locate, so we called Fingerhut and they gave us the code. No issue at all! Move forward 6mths and the laptop gave the blue screen of death and would no longer work. We called Fingerhut to let them know and they told us the motherboard was bad and to send it to Dell and they can refurbish it for us; I told them I got this new and it is under warranty and I don't want a refurbished laptop when I am paying their high rate ($500+) for a new one.

First they tell me we are not under warranty anymore. It has expired which was bull because we got the 1 year warranty and that time was not up at that point, so then they all of a sudden they see we are still under warranty, BUT... I didn't get the correct warranty, we got basic coverage, so it can't be returned because we didn't pick the full coverage option; when there is only 1 option for that product warranty in the book we ordered from, nor were we ever told there was more than 1 warranty option! So I told them I am sending it back to you as we don’t want the piece of (expletive) to which they said, "Well you still have to pay for it or we will send you to collections."

I after I calmed down I thought about and decided to send it to Dell and continue making my payments. Dell sent the laptop back in a matter of a week to 2 weeks and it worked great, except when they fixed it basically reverted back to all factory settings, so we again could not use MS Office, so we contact Fingerhut and they told me they don't have product key and to call Dell. We called Dell and long story short they push us back to FH. We called again and now they are acting like we never had a product code for this laptop and we have to buy MS products which is over $200 dollars even though we kept telling them they already gave it to us before so what is the problem!

This has now been going on back and forth with FH and Dell without resolution. Move forward to this afternoon, I spent 3 hours on the phone with FG bouncing from person to person and department to department; they finally told me we do have rights to the product key and it is in the box from Dell!! I told them I don't have the box anymore and maybe if you would have done your job right and told me this the first time I called then we would not be here today; I asked again, "Can’t you can't just give to me?" And was told point blank NO! So now I am stuck with a laptop I can't use and I still have to pay for it. Not sure what you guys do about this type of things, but I see a lot of bad reviews on FH on here, so maybe you don't do anything but gather info., but would love to know my rights on this type of thing? Am I just out of luck and let this on my credit report, or what? Thank you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fingerhut?

Original review: April 12, 2018

I have tried numerous times to explain to this company that there is a charge on my credit report that isn't mine and they refuse to look at it. I feel that the person whose charges that they have added to my credit report is not getting credit established. I have never had a Fingerhut account nor will I ever have one due to all the problems I have had with this company. They keep saying it's mine even though I don't live in the Chicago area, nor have a phone number for that area, I live in Baltimore, I have never even been to Chicago. But this company refuses to correct this problem or even to investigate what I am telling them is the truth. I would tell everyone that I talk to what has happened to me and not to deal with this company.

Original review: April 6, 2018

When difficulties arise, they make agreements to be paid overtime, after the payment date, they state that the agreement was not valid to be made. So the payment you make to catch up an account is not valid unless over 45 days past due. Thus, when trying to keep credit rating fairly well, they offer an agreement that can't be made. Be careful with their financing. They want your money, but do not respect their agreements with the consumer.

Original review: March 26, 2018

Hello, I am writing this review to warn others about Fingerhut. I was told that Fingerhut would be a good way to help my credit. I made a few purchases and paid everything off as fast as possible, I was even often rewarded with credit increases. The reason I am disappointed is because Fingerhut has no customer service. Even if you're a customer with the best record. They don't care if you get a defective product or if you're overall unhappy with a purchase. You bought it so you're stuck paying for it regardless if you're satisfied with your purchase or not. (Or even if the product is broken or defective.) I was willing to forgive the fact that all their products are highly overpriced and very cheap in quality, but the lack of service was the last straw.

I had over $1,000 in credit with Fingerhut, but I decided to cancel it all because I am not willing to get stuck in debt with a company that couldn't care less about their customers. The last item I purchased was a futon, the type of futon you'd find at a local Big Lots for about $200. Except this one was from Fingerhut, so it cost $600. Not only did it come defective and broken, when I tried to get any help from customer service, it's like there's no one home. Their emails feel like automatic responses, not something from a real person. They just want to make the most money they can charging outrageous prices and interests. They don't care about their product quality or their customer satisfaction, only about their customer's payment due dates and interest rates accrual.

Original review: March 21, 2018

I have had an account for over 5 years. Never missed a payment. Called in. I feel like the call was answered overseas by people who don’t speak English. I told them I was in a bad car accident then broke my foot and was unable to make the payment due the next day. I was basically told there was nothing they could do. I log in a few days later to make the payment, not only is collections calling, they have also sent a email saying I refuse to speak via phone so my account has been closed and I can only order in cash. Then they told me I used all my available credit... No I had over $1500 still available to use... I'm so annoyed. But Walmart sells the EXACT same items way below Fingerhut's cost.

Original review: March 20, 2018

I purchased some cameras in November of 2017, But I opened today March 20th 2018. I realized they had wires and I needed wireless. I was told I only had 60 days to return them. I wanted to do a exchange, But I was told by the Agent I was just stuck. I have been a great Customer, But I no longer will purchase anything else from Fingerhut. It doesn't matter what kind a customer you are, But it does matter about a Policy.

Original review: March 15, 2018

I signed up for a Fingerhut account in January of this year (2018). Due to poor credit from Bankruptcy, I added a Fingerhut account to help build my credit. I understand Fingerhut has about a 30% increase on all of their items - this is to be expected, as their website is meant to help customers with poor credit achieve items that they probably normally couldn't afford without the option of making payments. I, however, am fortunate that I make decent money and I just wanted to use this site to boost my credit score... what a nightmare I have gotten myself into. My first purchase with Fingerhut went smoothly and quickly - I purchased a cheap elliptical and a set of dumbells for my exercise room and paid them all off immediately. They arrived on time and in good shape. No issues. The nightmare begins for my second and LAST purchase...

Shortly after I paid off my first purchase, I ordered an Apple Watch. My tracking told me it would be here February 16th. I followed my tracking closely and the day it was supposed to have been delivered, in fact, the tracking was so specific, it even said it was delivered into my mailbox, there was no Apple Watch. On their tracking website, there's a little bubble that says "Don't have your package yet? No worries! This happens, check your bushes and around your house etc etc and call us in 3 days if you still don't have your package."

Well, lo and behold, 3 days passes and still no Apple Watch. I call Customer Service and spoke w/ a very nice lady whom said that for some reason my order has actually BEEN CANCELED by Fingerhut! She said my account was FLAGGED because I had made a LARGE PAYMENT on my account (when I paid off my account in full for my last purchase!). How asinine is that? Basically they punish their customers for paying off their accounts in full. She apologized up and down and I had to go through a crazy array of security questions to "unflag" my account. She said the package was never actually delivered, but instead canceled and it should be on its way back to their warehouse. I made sure to tell this lady that once the watch is returned, I don't want it.

Weeks go by and still, watch hasn't been returned to Fingerhut and it surely never came to me. I call Fingerhut again on 03/09 and speak w/ a not-so-nice representative named Lindsay. She rudely told me the same tracking information that I already know - that on Feb 22nd it went to MN and that's all. She told me that maybe USPS changed the packages tracking number and I need to call USPS and "figure it out" myself. Awesome, Lindsay. Let me spend more time on the issues YOUR COMPANY is responsible for, but sure, I'll call.

I get off the phone with her and call USPS - 2 hour wait! Beyond annoyed, I waited the 2 hours and 3 minutes it took and spoke w/ a sweet as can be woman named Mary. I told Mary my situation and she checked my tracking and the first this she says it "Wow, this is a mess! Is Fingerhut really charging you still for this item?" and I said "Yes!" Mary explained that the package has been in transit since it was sent off in February and it never was delivered to me and she said the same thing we all know - It was delivered last on Feb 22 to Eden Prairie, MN and no one has seen it since.

She gave me another number to the post office where I am from to speak with a representative there to see if they can tell me if the tracking number had been changed. By the time I called the post office they were closed, so I left a voicemail. The next day they returned my call and left me a voicemail, stating they had no other information other than the package was sent to MN...

Ladies and Gentlemen, it is now March 15th. Said watch is nowhere to be found. According to tracking, it made its way all the way back to Eden Prairie, MN, but can not be found since then. This is my major questioning - Fingerhut is BASED out of Eden Prairie, MN! That's its headquarters! That's the warehouse the watch came from! You're telling me that the watch is in your town, but hasn't been delivered to you? SCAM ARTISTS. I am still being charged for this watch, that I never received. You can bet that my account is going to be canceled and I will NEVER do business with them again!

Original review: March 12, 2018

I paid a 1000.00 early payment, they took out another 139.52 out of my account which was unauthorized, which made my payment paid in full, I called them about it, so they redeposited the money back in my account week later. Then I checked on the account. They said I need to pay 152.45 to pay it off, so the way I look at it they made me pay for their mistake that they did, have never been late. The answer I got is that is interest they are charging for, so I told them I wanted to pay them off and they said it would cost me 5.00 more, so I went online to pay the full amount which I did, now it shows that I owe 1.00 more. I will never never use them again, big rip off. I guess I learned my lesson.

Original review: March 7, 2018

All of my experiences with Fingerhut have been excellent. Yes, they are a little more expensive than some others, but they also let you pay the bare minimum time payments and even extend credit to those with a poor credit history, allowing the opportunity to repair and grow creditworthiness - even to those as low as 500 CS! That is indeed a big deal. PS, Fingerhut has been around since the 1940s; this is not some fly by night operation.

Most of the "reviews" of this company are suspiciously negative (and very hard to believe)... ala Yelp. Makes one wonder if they are politically motivated. Years ago when I was very young I had a FH account and messed it up badly by not paying on time (if at all). Try that with your mortgage and see how far you get. Anyway, years later I decided to give them another try and they gave me another try as well - pretty forgiving if you ask me. They have helped me to finally be able to obtain credit. The more on-time payments I make, the more credit they extend me.

They absolutely do report to the credit agencies and as a result I have repaired my credit, now appreciating about 20K in available credit from several different banks, with a nice looking CS to boot. I usually purchase bedding and every single item I have purchased has been lovely, held up well and if you actually know how to shop - has been quite affordable. Thank you Fingerhut! Thank you for a second chance. I'm sorry about my bad credit behavior in the past.

Original review: March 5, 2018

Fingerhut shopping website in Minnesota area is no good. They screwed me over when I returned the Xbox One S and the Sims game. They said it was damaged when they got it but it was not damaged at all when I had it. Fingerhut is a bunch of BS. They are crooks.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

Fingerhut sent items to the wrong address and expect for me to pay for them. I don't think so. As a Consumer it's not my fault for the mistake they made. So I call the police and the officer told me they don't make reports because it's not my fault. The items was delivered to the wrong address. Now I refuse to pay for items that I didn't receive. I won't be buying anything else from them. I was a loyal customer and have been for years.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

So I am very upset with Fingerhut right now. I been with this company for almost 3 years of paying them on time. Then I fell into hard times. Some they enroll me into a program but I missed 1 payment for December 2017 and then called Fingerhut customer service in January 2018 and talk with customers service and they told me I would be ok to make my payment... Fast forward today I got pushed around and talk too nasty to tell me my account will be charge off if I don't pay the balance in full!! I talked with a supervisor. She was nasty. I am piss right now!! I need help now!! It's also saying I haven't made a payment in over 181 day and that not true statement.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

I ordered a Nintendo Switch with 2 games and a MK tote. Returned with their shipping label. I received a generic email stating that they received my return and they are processing, after a couple weeks of not seeing my credit. I called and they stated that they gave me a credit for the game I returned. I told them I returned the 2 games, the Nintendo Switch and the tote and they said they only received the game. I told them how when I returned everything in the same box. I then told them. I don't know if someone stole it or they did not scan the items correctly, so they told me if I could supply them with the weight receipt they would give me a credit. Of course when I received that generic email about them processing my return. I threw the receipt away with the 100s others I have cause it was Xmas time.

They couldn't supply me with the return label number that they sent me, so USPS where I dropped the package off at, does not have a way to find without that. Now I'm stuck having to pay $900 worth of merchandise I do not have. Not okay Fingerhut. They should have some kind of record on what they scanned in. (Return label) Not sure but all this sounds really fishy to me.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

Not sure how Fingerhut received my information, but a line of credit was opened in my name. It is not my email, it is not my number or my address. Just name and social. The customer service in handling this issue was not helpful. They are set up to not help the customer but defeat them. According to the reviews this happens all the time with this company. If it is so easy for fraudulent accounts to be opened you would think they would setup extra precautions when opening an account. All these seems like an awful lot of headache over what started as a $20 purchase in my specific situation and has now grown in interest. You need to file a police report for them to even consider looking into your case. You will need to dispute this transaction with all three credit bureaus.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

The company has been really great for me. The prices are good, the products excellent, and they deliver on time every time. Best of all, they allow you to run credit. All in all I've had a great experience with Fingerhut.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I don't know why people complain so much. If you have no credit, of course they're gonna mark up the prices. It's still like a CD, so if you're late, they're gonna charge a late fee. I have automatic payments that work great and the items are mostly worth it because you don't have to pay for so long. I haven't experienced half the problems people on here have. Just be responsible and you should have no trouble. I've had my credit score increase because of Fingerhut and gotten major cards and a car loan because of it. Fingerhut is great, if you can't handle it, real money must be too difficult for you.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

For the past few months I have been harassed to make payments even before the payment is due. I receive several phone calls and a text telling me that I need to pay them and to call them back. Why would a company do that to customers who pay on time and have been customers for years. I don’t get it! After my account is paid off I will not continue to do business with them. It is not right to harrass a customer who pays on time. Beware of these ruthless people.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I called to ask for a shipping label for two pairs of shoes. I went to the post office and returned 2 pairs in 1 box. They said they received one pair but not the other? How is that even possible? You open up the box and there's 2 pairs!!! Then when I wanted to exchange a pair for a different size they said I had to pay for it. I already paid for it! It should have been an even exchange. Now I have to fill out a form for the shoe they are saying they can't find!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

Had paid my account in full and ask them to close it and they sent me and email that they would and now they sent me a thing for 22 for a late payment. Not happy with these guys and will never buy anything from them ever again and would not recommend anyone have an account with these guys cause they will screw you over.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

I just became a member of Fingerhut in December of 2017. I ordered a computer on the Day12 of the Christmas sales. I had ordered a computer on Day11, which was a specific sale that the computer did not apply. On day 12, I received an email the day 12 sale was 15% off any item. I went into the website and put the computer into my cart, applied the day 12 coupon and hit enter. It gave me the discount of $130.79. I called customer service and explained the situation. She said that since I order it on day 11 she could not help. I told her to cancel the order. She told me it already shipped, so I told her I was going to send it back and reorder it today, day 12... She put me on hold, came back and told me that she spoke to a supervisor and that they would give me the credit and it would show up on my account with 24/48 hours. I thought great.

I received the bill in January 8th, and no credit was given. I called again, explained the situation. The rep told me that there was no record that I had called on December 12th... GREAT!!! She then put me on hold, came back and said that SHE spoke with a supervisor and my credit has been approved and it would show up in 24/48 hours!!! I think ok, with optimism... After checking 3 days later, NOTHING!!! I then decided that I wanted my correspondence and writing so I sent an e-mail going through the WHOLE situation AGAIN!!!! I then get an e-mail back saying the Day12 sale did not include computers!!! That was obviously a lie, since when I used the code on DAY 12 it gave me the discount!!!! If it didn't I would not have even asked for it. Now, before the bill is even due, they start calling me asking for a payment.

I was finally home to take a harassing call from the billing department and I explain to her the situation and that I am still waiting for my credit. She tells me that there are no records of my call or email!!!! Are you flipping kidding me!!! She transferred me to customer service. This woman, proceeds to tell me that she found my e-mail and I was informed that the day 12 excluded computers!! I told her that she was lying!!! And that I wanted to speak to a supervisor. She conveniently told me the supervisor was on another line. YA I BET!! I told her that I wanted a supervisor to call me back. She said, "Oh, they can't do that our system is automated!!!" I said "REALLY, you can't write my number down, and they can't dial a phone and call me back!!!!" I then hung up on her after telling her that I was going to let the Better Business Bureau know, and I was going to post on all social media how bad their customer service was.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

We had canceled automatic payments with this company because they were taking out more than one on the same day. We made our payment on time and once again they put through two unauthorized payments 3 days later. I was on the phone for hours... supervisor said they did not do it. That I did. Another employee said it was their mistake and she credited back the money. Our bank ended up charging us overdraft fees. I cannot get anywhere with them, They now say I went online and made all 3 payments. Why would I make 3 payments when I was already paid. I told them to close my account and I would report them... They do fraudulent transactions. Stay Away!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

Poor slow customer services. They said I would get a return label in my email. It never happen so I did a return to sender, It took them four months for a return to sender item, be removed and credit back to my account. Despite the bad reviews I purchased items. Paid on time to build credit but their slow accounting inaccuracy cause me late charges and bad credit reporting. They were quick to tell me, they sold my account to RESURGENT COLLECTION. I'm done this Fingerhut.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

First purchase, made payments on time but then I paid off account early. They claimed paying off early was technically "breaking my payment agreement". So I tried again, with another purchase. After several months of payments on time, I tried to make a payment via Credit Card - and system wouldn't accept card. Called customer service and she stated that because I was 'new' and a FreshStart account, the system doesn't allow it. After explaining that I'd been with them for over a year, she said, "Well you didn't GRADUATE! So you started all over." Fingerhut obviously TRIES TO MAKE YOU FAIL in an honest endeavor to improve your credit. That is their SCAM. Their customer service is the worst - actually argumentative.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

I got a call from Fingerhut saying I was late with a payment. I couldn't talked so I called back. The girl that kept talking over me said I owed $38. For what!!! My acct. was paid up and I had not received any statements. for ins. What ins???? She said I had ins coming out and I was behind. She didn't care that I said I didn't remember getting ins. I could hardly get a word in. She kept talking over me in an accent that was very hard to understand. I told her I would call back hoping to get someone that could speak fluent English.

I checked my acct. Nothing on statements. I called back and told them there was nothing on my statements and I never received any statements. She gave me the number for the ins. co and told me to call and cancel the ins. (The ins I didn't know I had). I did call and cancel the ins. that I didn't know I had!!! I paid half of the $38 I shouldn't have had to pay. So this morning I checked my email and there was an email for credit score. They had turned me in for $19.47 I didn't owe!!! BEWARE buyers!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

Zero stars if possible. Why? They approve you for a limit. Let's say mine went from $600 to $1000 and then ultimately $1300. When you make purchases everything is fine. You miss one payment they decrease your limit by $300. If your balance is paid off and you owe them absolutely nothing they raise your limit and give you a deadline to make such purchase so you can lock that limit. If you don't want to make a purchase and get yourself in debt because you have other obligations what do they do? They put remove your credit line and put it all the way to $0 in retaliation. This is probably the worst. I really meant it. The worst credit card company I have ever dealt with. Instead of rewarding you for your payments being current and zero debt they punish you for not making more purchases despite your excellent paying history. Stay away from this credit line. They suck.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Fingerhut without a doubt is the most awful business I have ever dealt with. I ordered a 600 Thread Count Sheet Set, which literally disintegrated within 4 months. Because they only have a 30 day return policy, they refuse to ever acknowledge the complaint. They instead referred me to the manufacturer. I asked them to close account, which they promptly acknowledge but no response to defective merchandise. Buyer beware! Goods are shipped from China, and they charge nearly double than what you would pay at Bed Bath and Beyond, Walmart or Tuesday Morning. Don’t let credit issues stand in the way or hold you hostage in the way of bad business. Companies like these deserve to go under, as they put profit over good customer relations.

Fingerhut Company Information