1.40/5
Based on 108 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

863 Fingerhut Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

First they send you an overabundance of catalogs saying it's your last one even though you never signed up and it never is the last one. Second they outsource their company outside the United States - need to be seriously taxed on this. Third all of their products are grossly overpriced. Fourth their customer service is disgusting. They don't deserve one star but you have no choice.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

This company did nothing to help me out with my issue. They never contacted me back to explain or say sorry for their customer service representative disrespect towards me. I was in the hospital and decided to open a new account with "Fingerhut", I went online and viewed all the products they had to offer. Now being in the hospital and being on medication, it was the smart thing not to order anything while in the hospital. I guess, I was going to buy a new JBL wireless speaker. I called as soon as, I got out and spoke with a customer service representative and the email below will explain when, happened. Thank you everyone for taking the time to read this!

"Attention Fingerhut customer service, I am what you would consider an extremely loyal customer. I was introduced to Fingerhut by 'amazon.com'. Now this being my first time ever ordering from your company you could say, I was extremely not pleased by the way, I was treated by the individuals that I was speaking to in the Philippines. After speaking with somebody from customer service, I informed them that I did not want to keep my first order which was a 'JBL Flip 4 Portable Bluetooth Speaker'. After informing this person that, I decided to change my order and go with (Western Digital My Passport 3TB External Hard Drive) for my first-time purchase with Fingerhut.

The customer service representative became argumentative due to the fact that I wanted to cancel my first order and place another as if it was taken away from whatever this person was doing at the time instead of assisting me and showing great customer service for a first-time customer. Not only did this person raise her voice at me but then lied when I confronted the person on the phone and ask, "Did you just raise your voice at me," and yell at me the person who said no. I ended up hanging up phone call with this person and called back and asked for sales. After going back online and trying to place an order online it gave me a error code which told me that only one order can be placed on my account.

So, I contacted customer service. They transferred me to sales and I went ahead and I, placed my first order with them on the phone giving them my debit card and my information and giving them permission to place my order over the phone. After placing my order, I asked the sales representative to send me a confirmation to my email to show me that the order was placed by her over the phone. Your, sales representative informed me that a confirmation email will be sent out to me. Since writing this email to you, I still as of yet to receive any information indicating my purchase that was placed over the phone was ever made. I'm not sure if this is how your customer service works or how your customer service representatives are allowed to speak to your customers but you guys can do a lot better in the way you speak to your customers and how you treat them. Thank you."

Get expert buying tips about Online Shopping Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I was sent form letter responses to my queries, and none of them addressed my questions! Unbelievable, uncaring "customer service"... Absolutely NOTHING I tried to order would ship to Hawaii. Not even a bra or a necklace... Not a bluetooth speaker, nor even earbuds. Is EVERYTHING in the catalog restricted? No one gives a care at this company, and no one will actually attempt to fill an order for me. To reiterate, WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

My experience with Fingerhut has been fabulous and just as I expected. If you don't want to pay higher prices and interest, go buy the product outright rather than expecting to order it online for a small down payment and the ability to pay over time - especially from a company that specializes in credit building - at the same price you'd pay in a store. Fingerhut is basically an online rent-to-own center without the ability to return the products. As always, if you take the time to carefully read the terms, you'll have the right expectations going in.

If you pay your bills on time, and more than just the minimum, your credit improves. If you don't pay bills on time, or if you skate by with just minimum payments and a maxed-out account, your credit suffers. If you don't use the account for long periods of time, the company will reduce your credit limit as MANY credit card companies do. Spend 25% of your available credit, pay it off in 2 to 4 statements, and your credit will improve.

Many of the reviews here are indicative of poor credit management, which is why many (not all) should be disregarded. Fingerhut has always been wonderful to me, and they helped me get my credit back on track after a period of bad decisions. I will continue to use the service every few months just to keep the credit line open - and honestly some of their clearance prices on towels, sheets, etc. are pretty amazing!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I have been a member of Fingerhut for over a year. I started with their FreshStart account and moved to their revolving line account. I had no issues in the transition, although if you have to contact customer support; you will be met with broken English 3rd world country representatives (as most companies use these 3rd world countries). I've been respected and haven't had much issue in regards to speaking to them (maybe having to ask them to repeat themselves).

Now onto the products: I have purchased a few things from Fingerhut and have a CL of $1000.00. The products you get really depend on the seller. It's always a good idea to research the product and look for reviews (like on Youtube) before purchasing. The prices tend to fall on the heftier side and returning anything as with most places is a hassle. The website itself is easy to navigate, handling your account is a breeze with the mobile app or using online. They have a wide variety of well known products from retailers like Nike, Kruger, Black and Decker tools, and more. Overall: Great place to build your credit score 4/5. Prices are kind of ridiculous 2/5. Customer support can be a hit and miss 2/5. Website accessibility 5/5. App accessibility 5/5. Payments 5/5.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fingerhut?

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I ordered my new CyberPowerPC from Fingerhut and it came in a timely manner with no problems. CyberPowerPCs are great products and I was happy that Fingerhut carried them. I would recommend both CyberPowerPC and Fingerhut to anyone.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I overpaid my account as they said my payment didn’t arrive. Contacted them immediately and I’ve been waiting for a refund on my account since July 13th as both payments cleared my account. I’ve been given the runaround and promised a refund in 3-5 days, then 10 business days, then it was changed to 14 business days, then I was told 7/27/18. As of today, 7/31/18, my overpayment still sits as a credit on my account. I asked them to close my account due to this outrageous behavior and now they tell me it will be another 12-14 days before the refund is issued! I’m seriously considering filing a complaint with the Attorney General’s office.

Original review: July 31, 2018

Bought a computer. In less than a month the hard drive crashes, so I call and told them I was returning it, and a very rude woman told me that I had the computer for a month and couldn't return it and I told why am I going to pay for a computer that the hard drive crashes after a month, a hard drive shouldn't crashes that fast, I did some research. Hard drives should last at for 3 to 4 yrs if not longer, but anyway I have already return the computer, but they still expect me to make payment on an order I have return... Never again will I buy anything from Fingerhut. The headaches isn't worth it.

Original review: July 26, 2018

I recently received a Fingerhut Catalogue (not at my request) indicating I have been pre-approved for a credit line of up to $700.00. I then did an online credit application and was, to my surprise, declined with a follow-up message that I would receive a letter of explanation in the mail in a few days. I have a good credit score and FICO score with no negative remarks of any kind, and with an impeccable payment history. My objection and question is why did this company go to the trouble of pre-approving me for a credit line and then refuse my application?! Secondly, is my application considered to be a "hard pull"?

Original review: July 23, 2018

Long story... Returned an item, and was billed a return charge for the item in question. Called customer service promptly when I received my bill. Was placed on hold several times for long periods of time. My mistake by "not" writing down the representative's name, however she said that the "bill" for the shipping was deleted/taken-care of! "NOT" One month later, not only did I receive another bill for the same charge (returned item charge), but Fingerhut "added" interest to the charge they said they removed!! OMG... I could go on. This is review for folks to learn by... "DON'T BUY IT IF YOU THINK YOU'RE GOING TO RETURN IT..." YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY!

Original review: July 22, 2018

This company is crazy. Usually when you pay off your account that’s a good thing. Not with Fingerhut. I paid off my account because things are so expensive. I have not ordered anything in a while. I tried ordering something for my husband which was a good price. I called to place a order the person said, "Your account has been closed for not ordering." I said, "You just sent me a catalog." The women said, "You need to call Monday. And start all over again." She was not very professional. No more Fingerhut for me.

Original review: July 20, 2018

Do not use Fingerhut. FINGERHUT WILL ROB YOU BLIND. After completing my purchase which ended up costing twice as much than paying cash. They offer you the chance to build up your credit and then they ruin it!! Beware of Fingerhut and do not use their service because you will be one of the many unhappy customers. Boycott Fingerhut!!

Original review: June 29, 2018

Fingerhut has completely destroyed my credit. I used them to help build my credit. After paying my balance off on time every month it showed on my credit report that it was closed as a derogatory mark on my report. I Was informed that was not to their concern. That there wasn't anything they could do for me... To make matters worse my purchases were low quality for the prices they charge. I would not recommend this site to build your credit.

Original review: June 27, 2018

Doing business with Fingerhut has been a nightmare. I only purchased their overpriced product to improve my credit score. Their incompetent accounting has had negative impact on my credit. FIRST the $219.99 purchase was incomplete. Their response was "we'll give you $10 credit on your next purchase". THAT'S NOT GONNA HAPPEN EVER. After making $84.99 in payments they think I owe them $169.01. I've contacted them three times, and three times they said it would be corrected. "It has not". Also I disputed this through Credit Karma three times and have had no results. I got **.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I had one Freshstart account with them. Paid it off on time with timely payments but when I tried to order something new, I had to start all over again. I just got that Freshstart account paid off after THEY lost my shipment and charged me another $30 to send a replacement shipment. And now that I, once again made every payment on time and paid off the balance they still have not given me a revolving credit line, just an offer to start a new Freshstart account for the 3RD time! No thanks Fingerhut, your customer service people are morons, and I not have 3 credit cards equaling a credit line of $6200. Horrible company!!

Original review: June 12, 2018

I was liking Fingerhut until I forgot to make my payment last night. I think they overall have good quality products, even though I was already concerned about their exorbitant shipping costs. They gave me a credit increase after only 3 months of on-time payments, which I thought was pretty nice, if maybe a little too premature of a decision on their part. The issues come up when one forgets or cannot afford to make a payment. I FORGOT to pay last night, and this MORNING I receive an unprofessional and predatory call from a woman in Jamaica that could not even pronounce my name correctly and barely spoke English. Her tone was threatening and she stated without ANY input from me, "You are going to make this payment on Friday, right?" She then proceed to tell me that if I considered this an harassing phone call, my phone number would be "invoked" and that I would no longer be able to make any payments on my account?

I am ONE day late, experienced a very bad day yesterday, was just planning on calling Fingerhut to apologize and make a payment arrangement, AND this is how I am treated now? I eventually got her to understand, and accept a payment from me, and she also waived my late fee, but this was after I lost my cool and we went around for over 10 minutes. I am done with Fingerhut now. I am just going to pay off my account and go elsewhere... I hope this review helps other people to stay away from this company and most other "extended credit" online and catalog shopping companies.

Original review: June 12, 2018

My husband ordered me a ring set from Fingerhut. After wearing for a week, the main stone broke off. I spoke with the English-Lacking Customer Representatives, only to find out that they will not exchange or refund me for the ring since it is the main stone. So now I am left owing a lot of money on a ring that I cannot even wear. I am highly disappointed and would recommend everyone to stay far away from this company!

Original review: June 12, 2018

I attempted a purchase in March. Never received the item and called to advise them. I was told to get a police report. I did. I mailed it as I was told and received 5-6 phone calls a day regarding a delinquent account. I would tell the reps repeatedly with broken English that I did not receive the item and have sent the police report. I emailed it last week and was told the time frame expired and the case is closed. I owe for a product that was never received.

Original review: June 12, 2018

If you get an offer in the mail from these scoundrels, tear it up and throw it where it belongs THE TRASH. I received one from them 6 weeks ago and the worst mistake of my life was accepting it. Generous line of credit, but come to find out it was only because everything of theirs is overpriced compared to other retailers including their own sister website. When you call with a concern, you talk with someone from either the Philippines or Indonesia and must repeat yourself 20 times or if you email them, about 50% of the time they don't reply at all. And don't ask to speak to a supervisor, they avoid answering any and all calls apparently.

I bought a gas grill from them only to find out the manufacturer has it listed on their own website for $60.00 less and would have shipped it for $10.00 less too. When I did finally get to speak with someone about this, the answer was 'They advertise it as a loss leader'. And tried to sell me a set of china before I shut them up to pay attention to why I called. Charbroil told me the price of the grill has been that since December and sells well, and it is not a 'loss leader' So not only do they mark up the stuff insanely, they mark up shipping as well. And will not credit the difference or do anything for you. But the worst is, roughly 11 days before your payment is due, the robocalls start daily at all times to any phone number they have. And nowhere in any of their paperwork is this mentioned or disclosed.

If you block them or send them a cease and desist order like I did, they email you telling you that your credit line has been suspended but you can continue to shop using a credit card. Give me a break, I wouldn't buy anything from them if someone else paid for it. Just for the record, there are two class action suits pending against them in NY and Illinois because of robocalls and two other issues. If another is ever opened in my state you can for sure bet I will be joining it. A second or third rate retailer preying on the consumer, and when you are smart enough to call them out on it, you are the bad guy. I will pay them off and be done with them. Not an outfit I want to be associated with or do business with.

Original review: June 10, 2018

I ordered a computer and a set of sheets. I received both. The computer was very faulty - I returned it. Within 3 weeks, before I even received my first bill, I began receiving harassing phone calls asking for payment. I explained to the phone callers that I had returned the item, and (anyway) had not received a first bill. It was suggested by one of those phone callers that I was lying about returning the computer. It was suggested by one that I pay for the item anyway, and they would reimburse me, later. Finally after 6 different harassing phone calls, my online account status was updated to state that the computer has been returned. I thought it would be over; that I would pay for the sheets and be done with them.

However... The very next day, I received another harassing phone call about my "unpaid bill" (the computer and the sheets); I asked that they not call me again until their accounts and their phone people were in agreement about what I (did not) owe. In addition, I found "new" charges on my account (online); I requested an explanation. The result? 2 days later, I received a very rude email that "if you revoke our right to call you, we will send you to collections, etc...." Hopefully they will soon address my question about the erroneous extra charges (for the sheets). As soon as they do I will pay for the sheets and definitely not order again from these people. It's like they all signed up for courses that were titled "Bullying 101" and "Intimidating Harassment Techniques for the Fingerhut Employee". This group should be shut down!

Original review: June 2, 2018

I noticed that the amount I owe never goes down even though I’ve paid on time each month. Customer service is bad there, I took a picture of my balance and saved in my files. I also emailed them to ask why my balance never goes down. I’m ready to report them for fraud.

Original review: May 23, 2018

I got a mystery package today - a pair of exfoliating gloves from Fingerhut - that I did NOT order. When I called to check I found out that they approved $800 credit card - and said that I applied for it! I talked with their FRAUD department and reported it - now I have to go to the police station and file a report. They have MANY complaints online. They said they flagged my account and would stop any future purchases. I also have the hassle of returning the package.

Original review: May 23, 2018

I was just moving into a new home and needed a replacement bed frame. I ordered a nice one through Fingerhut. It took a couple weeks to arrive and came in two boxes. One box that was just to contain side rails contained rails for the wrong product. I was told by customer service to return only the bad part and they’d send me a replacement; big fat lie. Weeks go by and I get AN EMAIL that tells me their vendor does not have the parts and I must contact the manufacturer. Excuse me? I ordered this product through your service. Why am I responsible for tracking down missing parts for the order you screwed up?

After arguing with several really unprofessional customer service reps, and trying several phone numbers for the manufacturer, I finally speak with a supervisor at Fingerhut who promises me that they’ll correct the issue and have the replacement parts to me in 3 weeks. 3 weeks go by and nothing, so I call again and get told the same thing as before “oh we are sorry we couldn’t find the parts.” Thanks for the notice. I’m sick of sleeping on the floor at this point. I try again to speak with a supervisor to find out 1) why I’m still being billed for an incomplete product and why I was lied to about corrective measures. I’m returning the rest of the product and demanding my account be closed. These people are as dense as a damn rock. Avoid them at all costs.

Original review: May 20, 2018

I had 690 credit score and zero bad credit, good income and they turned me down for a web bank card. Do not let them run a credit check. They drained my credited score. I can purchase on payment plan no problem but I haven't since 1994. 690 score. No outstanding bills. I'll not purchase from them ever. Only from Walmart or Amazon. Could co-sign or get a mortgage or loan. They will never get my respect or a purchase from me. Yes they drained my 690 score.

Original review: May 20, 2018

Well where do I begin with Fingerhut? Just when I thought I was doing real good with all my payments I thought I was doing good. I’ve been paying all my payments. They made all my payment arrangements. Take in the payments out automatically. I know I owe a lot. They take monthly payments out of my payments. I called up to see how much my balance was in paying them off monthly $59. When I called up to see what my monthly bill was found out that as of a year I still feel the same amount from the first payment I made a year ago. I was shaking. So upset I can’t eat. Words cannot explain how upset I was and when I went to call them of course they were closed so I’m hoping they will be open tomorrow and I get someone who couldn’t understand me and help me. Good luck to everyone. Hopefully I can get someone who can help me and understand me and help me. Sorry for the mix-up in communication. I am just upset. Thank you.

Original review: May 17, 2018

I have had my account for over a year. I started off with the Fresh start account and bought a pair of shoes just to start it off. I had no problems. When I paid that off my credit went up to $500. I then got a tv, and have been paying that down. I would be paid off but I have been getting other stuff after paying some down. After a while my credit went up to $800. About a month ago it went up again to $1200. I just bought a pool and the payments are good for me. Also, my credit was horrible. It was in the 450 range. Now it’s 612. I got worried when the fresh start closed because it went down but now it’s up and going. The more credit I earn with them is great. I have never had any problem with the customer service. I have only had to call once because a bed set was missing a sheet but they sent me it with no problem. Other than that I email them and receive a response within 24 hours. I would recommend them.

Original review: May 2, 2018

On April 30th, I went to Fingerhut's website to look for an office desk. When I found it, I put in my email address to start an account. The system informed me that my email address was already being used. I requested a new password to get into and found it had my wife's name on the account. I spoke to her about this and she denied setting this up. I emailed the company to request this account closed or cancelled. I received an email back informing me to call Customer Service to have it cancelled.

Today, 5/2 @ 12:45 pm CST, I called Fingerhut to have a customer service rep cancel the account. Instead she kept wanting my whole ssn to "verify the account". I provided her their customer's number showing on the site and she still kept asking for my ssn. I refused to provide it and informed her that this an unauthorized account that I want closed. Again, she stated that she cannot close without verifying my full ssn. I asked for a supervisor, she stated that a supervisor will explain the same and proceeded to try and talk over me. I informed her that she is unwilling to assist me, I will file a complaint with the FTC and ended the call.

Original review: May 2, 2018

They sent me a computer that did not work properly and then charged me $34.94 to send it back. They said because it was returned in good condition I had to pay for the shipping to me and the return shipping even though the laptop itself looked in good shape. Every time you would go to run a program the CPU and Disk % would shoot up to 100% and run insanely slow and this was just a cheap little dinky computer, it was one that should have been able to run Microsoft Word without a single problem. DO NOT buy from them. If you ever have a problem they will not make it right, even if it is their fault and then they charge you for their broken merchandise.

Original review: April 24, 2018

I recently found out a Fingerhut credit card was opened in my name and used back in 2013 or 2014 and not only do they refuse to remove it they sent it to another credit agency AND THEY ARE NOW BOTH ON MY CREDIT REPORT FOR 2 DIFFERENT AMOUNTS!!!

Original review: April 19, 2018

This business sucks. You can't change your address when you need to. You have to contact customer service to change it and they ask for your bill when applying for credit and if you don't have a bill that has your address on it they won't accept it. For instance I gave them a social security statement with my address and date on it and they didn't accept it. So I don't recommend doing business with them. They suck.

Fingerhut Company Information

www.fingerhut.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business