1.28/5

975 Fingerhut Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

I had a 450 credit score due to a medical bill issue. Fingerhut gave me a fresh start account that I paid $30 up front then 6 monthly payments. That graduated me to their regular WebBank credit account. After two years I now have $1500 credit limit. I buy something every few months (Shoes, shirts, bath or bedding) to keep the account open and make my credit look better. By paying off my bad debts and keeping my Fingerhut account in good standing I now have a 680 credit score.

Fingerhut has a few days every month that offer free shipping if you have good credit, so that is when I buy something.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

I opened this account with the only intention of improving my credit. I got approved for a 700$ credit limit in June. My first purchase was a baby bouncer for my little girl. The total was a little over 30$ than the typical everyday price but I had found a coupon so it made it reasonable, but then the shipping was crazy high. Like almost 20$?! I bought it anyway because I knew I needed to purchase something to open a line of credit. It arrived maybe 10 days later. I assembled it with mostly no problems, I say mostly because one of the holes didn't quite line up correctly on the base, so I'm not sure if it was actually a faulty product from the manufacturer and offered to Fingerhut for a discount or maybe they were just made like that.

With some serious force I got it to connect. Well, they didn't make me pay a payment the following month but I sent in 25$ anyway. The following month after that, I actually had a payment schedule set up and they wanted me to pay 9$ a month until it was paid off. Well I paid 50$ the following month, because heck, why not?! The month after that they gave me a 500$ increase on my credit with them. I've purchased one more item since then and it arrived the week after I ordered it. I ordered on one of their free shipping days, and the item I wanted was actually 5$ cheaper than at Walmart.

Honestly I haven't even opened the box, because it's a Christmas present for my friend's child but I'm sure it's fine, it's like a tent. Not much you could mess up there. My credit has gone up at least 20 points since opening the account with them after just 4 months. After reading other reviews though I don't plan on ever making a big purchase, too risky in my opinion. I'll stick to under 100$ purchases and keep on improving my credit.

Get expert buying tips about Online Shopping Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I ordered a computer desk from them recently, it was supposed to arrive in 2 weeks but I got it in 7 days. The desk had all parts and was very easy to put together. No missing parts. I got my first bill, yet it is not due yet, however. It is the amount that they said it would be. I have not had any bad experience with them. Hope it stays that way. Only downfall I've noticed is shipping cost is a little extreme. But more people than not will take the time to write a bad review rather than a good one... so I thought I would share my experience. No issues with them as of now.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

My experience with Fingerhut has been fabulous and just as I expected. If you don't want to pay higher prices and interest, go buy the product outright rather than expecting to order it online for a small down payment and the ability to pay over time - especially from a company that specializes in credit building - at the same price you'd pay in a store. Fingerhut is basically an online rent-to-own center without the ability to return the products. As always, if you take the time to carefully read the terms, you'll have the right expectations going in.

If you pay your bills on time, and more than just the minimum, your credit improves. If you don't pay bills on time, or if you skate by with just minimum payments and a maxed-out account, your credit suffers. If you don't use the account for long periods of time, the company will reduce your credit limit as MANY credit card companies do. Spend 25% of your available credit, pay it off in 2 to 4 statements, and your credit will improve.

Many of the reviews here are indicative of poor credit management, which is why many (not all) should be disregarded. Fingerhut has always been wonderful to me, and they helped me get my credit back on track after a period of bad decisions. I will continue to use the service every few months just to keep the credit line open - and honestly some of their clearance prices on towels, sheets, etc. are pretty amazing!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I have been a member of Fingerhut for over a year. I started with their FreshStart account and moved to their revolving line account. I had no issues in the transition, although if you have to contact customer support; you will be met with broken English 3rd world country representatives (as most companies use these 3rd world countries). I've been respected and haven't had much issue in regards to speaking to them (maybe having to ask them to repeat themselves).

Now onto the products: I have purchased a few things from Fingerhut and have a CL of $1000.00. The products you get really depend on the seller. It's always a good idea to research the product and look for reviews (like on Youtube) before purchasing. The prices tend to fall on the heftier side and returning anything as with most places is a hassle. The website itself is easy to navigate, handling your account is a breeze with the mobile app or using online. They have a wide variety of well known products from retailers like Nike, Kruger, Black and Decker tools, and more. Overall: Great place to build your credit score 4/5. Prices are kind of ridiculous 2/5. Customer support can be a hit and miss 2/5. Website accessibility 5/5. App accessibility 5/5. Payments 5/5.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fingerhut?

Original review: May 23, 2019

My house was flooded in September 2018 due to the hurricane. I lost everything. I just purchased my products in July 2018 - a toddler bed, Bluetooth speaker and a vacuum. I called Fingerhut - told them what happened. They gave me the run around. They gave numbers to the merchants who requested that I shipped the products back. My home had flooded and I didn’t have the funds to do so. Not only did my house flood I was out of work for a few months and couldn’t pay my bill even after I enrolled in the program that pays your account up which nevered happened.

Since then they have reported to the credit bureaus of my payment being late for November. They showed no sympathy or empathy. I am now able to make payments - even been making triple payments to help my credit. I’m currently paying for products I no longer have. I will never buy from them again. Worst experience. I been making on time payments and when I pay them off I’m done with them.

Original review: May 23, 2019

I opened up a FingerHut FreshStart account back in August 2018. The one single item item I purchased was a women's rechargeable razor, the selling price was $69.99 plus their ungodly shipping charge of around $9.99. I received the item which took nearly three weeks, I actually got billed prior to receiving the item.

I pretty much paid for the item in one payment. Balance free and clear. They soon closed the Freshstart account out, and opened a regular Fingerhut account and gave me a credit line of $300.00. A couple of months later I go to purchase an item for $59.99 and it selected payment as Fingerhut credit (WebBank). DECLINED. It says for me to call 1-800-356-2347 to verify my account information. I refuse to do so, since they set the standard of opening the initial account under Freshstart. And not once ever disclosing other requirements after the fact.

I may as well as to stay with Freshstart, at least that was somewhat functional. I sign into my Fingerhut account, and the first thing it does is remind me that I have $300.00 credit line available. but Webbank refuses to honor their promise of credit. Even though by use they established a credit line prior, my credit score has increased significantly since that time. No derogatories at all. I tend to believe that Fingerhut is owned by Webbank, and are violating the FCR. Especially when they send out notices were temporarily increasing your credit limit, just make a purchase in this x amount, and the increase will stay, if you do nothing the credit line will drop back down. That's wrong. Because it requires a payment for a credit limit increase in which you never asked for, and if you happen to make a purchase, that doesn't meet the purchase threshold, it will report a drop in credit limit, thus harming a consumer's credit score.

Original review: May 22, 2019

Over the holidays they offered me a TEMPORARY $200 increase of my existing $1500 to $1700 to be used within X amount of time. My balance was $0 and I wanted it kept that way. THEY REPORTED ME TO THE CREDIT BUREAUS AND NOW MY CREDIT REPORT SAYS "CREDIT DECREASE" from $1700 to $1500 and it looks bad as if I screwed up. GRRR. HOW IS THIS EVEN LEGAL??

Original review: May 12, 2019

When I placed my order It was supposed to come with a free turtle pool float and the free item was Never delivered. I contacted customer service and was offered a $10 discount. That’s insulting!!! How can you offer a free item then without warning not honor what you offered!? I ordered that pool based on the offer. That is false advertisement! This is entirely ridiculous and unprofessional. I will not be ordering anything else. I was told by customers service that the item is now unavailable. I’m so annoyed.

Original review: May 12, 2019

Ordered Mother's Day flowers for both my wife and daughter on 5.8.19. Requested delivery on 5.11.19 to avoid rush. No one showed called on Am 5.12.19. Was told they were sorry and make sure to get them delivered today. It is now 7pm still no flower deliver. Never been so embarrassed. What's worse they charged my credit card on 5.8.

Original review: May 11, 2019

My identity was stolen and a credit card was opened online with Fingerhut. I called their fraud department, faxed an affidavit, a police report, a copy of my ID, and they still refuse to remove the credit card off my credit report. I called them again, they continue to say they never received my paperwork and will not allow me to talk to a supervisor. It is unbelievable the level of incompetence they show and how hard they make it to communicate with them. NEVER open a credit card with them or conduct any business with this company!!!

Original review: May 4, 2019

I wanted to purchase a sound bar with wireless subwoofer and looked thru Fingerhut's catalogue. I came across the Vizio Smartcast 36" 2.1 channel Bluetooth soundbar with wireless subwoofer. Price $249. 99. I did a price check and found the same item priced at $144.99, and found the 5.1 channel system priced at $249.99. Fingerhut is NOT a business you want to do business with. If you don't believe me see for yourself. Don't support greed and gluttony, all of their items are terribly overpriced and the interest rate on your total purchase if using credit is high also. Avoid Fingerhut at all cost.

Original review: May 3, 2019

They are a good credit builder, but the fact that everything is shipped with regular mail and doesn’t give you an option to choose sucks. I been waiting on my order for about 3 weeks now. They delivered with UPS and now it was handed over to USPS that has held my package for about 4 days. I cannot pick it up because it is not priority mail and I literally live 5 minutes away from the post office it’s been sitting in! I will not be buying from this company again if I have to wait almost a month to get something that could take make shorter time to make myself!

Original review: April 22, 2019

On 3-24-19 I cancelled first purchase which required 30.00 payment for checking account 2 days before scheduled ship date. Was told my deposit will not be taken out. They took my 30.00 and told me it would take three days to return to my bank. 3 days later, my bank show no return from Fingerhut at all in system. Fingerhut says it is my bank's fault because they have an transaction # and a date it supposedly hit my bank. I filed a dispute with my bank and they still show nothing from Fingerhut coming back in my account. Almost a month later and I am still without my money. I will be filing complaint with the BBB. I better get my money back soon. DO NOT BUY FROM FINGERHUT. They are overpriced and not honorable in the customer returns and credit. I found out others had the same issue with them. I wish I had done my research before applying for account. Buyers BEWARE!

Original review: March 28, 2019

After charging Christmas items in 2018, paid my balance off in January 2019, had a zero balance and two months later my account come up with a $111.00 charge. I had to call several times and each time the representative told me it would be taken care of. Now I have late charges and showed up on my credit report. Now, here it is March 27, 2019, and I’m still calling them. NEVER WILL I ORDER FROM FINGERHUT AGAIN!!

Original review: March 27, 2019

I had to rate one star because a rating was required but this company doesn't deserve a rating at all. As I originally mentioned to the supervisor after speaking to a very rude rep for nearly 30 minutes discussing the terms of the extended warranty I purchased with my last order, I have been a loyal customer for over 2 years and would like to remain that way but when I say their arrogance oversees Fingerhut's customer satisfaction- that is not an understatement. Basically I kept being told that I need to cannot have my item replaced under the warranty that I am paying for every month. What a freaking joke! Before I hung up on the supervisor, I told him he could sit at his next board meeting and mention that due to his arrogance, he lost what could've been a long-term customer.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I have had my Fingerhut account for years. When I placed an order for a watch, it did not give me an option to put in shipping information. I called customer service that day to make sure it was going to the correct address. The (very rude) rep informed me of the address on file and I told her it was an old address. We updated the shipping and billing address while on the phone before the order was shipped. Fast forward a month, and I check online and it said the order was delivered to the old address. I called customer service and spoke to several reps who kept putting me on hold for 15 minutes at a time.

They tried to make it seem like it was my fault, even after explaining that I had already updated my address with THEM before the order shipped. They’re telling me I have to fill out paperwork so they can “launch an investigation” even though the rep admitted she seen all the information I told her on her end and knew it was the truth. All the reps sound the same, some form of foreigner that I could barely understand. Just a pain to deal with overall. I will be canceling my account with Fingerhut.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I had ordered a toaster from FingerHut several years ago. The toaster was very nice, and they gave me a rather large line of credit more than I would ever use. Then I would keep getting letters saying, "We increased your line of credit." I ignored those letters knowing I would never use it. I have order a few small items but not by any means anywhere near the credit amount. This has been several years I make a payment every month on my balance. I am not behind.

All of a sudden my credit score dropped on my report. I went to see what had happened, I am not late on ANYTHING, and to my surprise Fingerhut had decreased my line of credit by $150 and this adversely affected my credit score. When I asked them why on an email they said they cannot answer any credit questions, that I would have to ask the credit reporting agencies. I want to know WHY FINGERHUT decreased my line of credit that it would affect my credit score adversely even if I am current on payments. Be forewarned and watch your credit scores for these types of negative transactions by Synchronicity Web Bank. I will be closing the account with them right away and never order anything from them again. I've been a good customer but I'm done with them. Beware.

Original review: March 10, 2019

I bought a radio CD player Bluetooth (JENSEN CD PLAYER MODEL CD560) on credit with Fingerhut. I love listening to my CD collection. The CD won't work because it's the wrong size CD? At first not reading how many total tracks the next can't play with it. Got stuck using FM radio. What a disappointment and it is scam. Waste your money for such a brand name.

Original review: March 6, 2019

Ok tried to make a payment on there web page and they where telling me my card was declined, BS. I just stopped at a ATM and worked fine. I called my back and they said it was there end. The representative was so incompetent. She had no clue what she was doing no compassion whatsoever more of a heartless employee. My bill was 139.95 and the employee charged me 5.00 because their automated service wasn’t working. I don’t care about 5.00 but it’s the principle of them charging me. I’m not going to lie I said some Vulgar language but I was pissed. For 5.00 dollars they lost a customer. And the said part they could care less. I told her to cancel my account she told me she couldn’t. They have 8.00 employees who couldn’t give a crap.

Original review: March 1, 2019

They claim in their magazine that payments are 14.99. However what they mean is you pay 14.99 for the rest of your life. It never reflects in your balance all interest. Please do not get caught in this web. Get a credit card and buy from real places that sell the same stuff so much cheaper. They take advantage of people on the bottom and want to keep you in debt. I am ashamed I fell for there magazine. Please do not do it!!!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I been a customer for about 2 years now and never forget to make my monthly payments. They have charged my account once or even twice more a month. If you make a payment before the due date, they will not credit your account and if you do have the payment arrangement on reoccurring they will take the payment you’ve made the reoccurring payment and the due date payment charging you 3 times (which is considered theft if you do it!). I went through that two or three times before I contact Fingerhut to ask if they would turn the reoccurring payment off, it taken them three different payments before they agreed to turn the reoccurring off! Well you know I finally see how to turn it off myself and they still haven’t turned it off, but they sent me an email saying no more payments will be took from my bank!

I turned it off and never turned it back on because off the times they’ve already took unauthorized payment and made it so I would have to make one single payment a month. That was last year 6 or 7 months ago! Guess what happened for the new year? On 01/06/2019 to be paid on 02/01/2019, I was supposed to set up a payment for $87.59, two times as much as my minimum payment due. On 02/01/2019 I had paid Fingerhut $65. I go to my bank's website to check my balance and see Fingerhut has hit me again causing overdraft and returned payment fees with my bank and credit card company! I made Fingerhut refund my money back to my account because they had no right taking it unauthorized.

The reoccurring payments are not active, this customer service rep tells me I had it activated but magically isn’t showing on my account, then tells me it is off. Then rushed me off the phone. They are stealing right in front of your face, there is a way to find how and where the actual reoccurring payment arrangement was setup. So I will take it from there, even though they charge outrageous prices on inferior products they had my business. Stealing from me when I am trying to make things better for myself and their business, see they do it to so many people they are rich (wealthy!).

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I had opened an account with Fingerhut several years ago, I had purchased many things with no problem. However I ordered a dryer, then I had called to cancel my order the representative from Fingerhut told me all I had to do was refuse the package when their delivering service called to make arrangements. I did just that only to get pissed on and them keep charging me for something I never did receive. I called Fingerhut several times filled out an appeal and still nothing from their end. They turned me over to a collection agency and they had reported to the credit report. FINGERHUT IS A BIG JOKE, why would I pay for something that I never did receive! PISSED OFF IS A UNDERSTATEMENT.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

Fingerhut & Web Bank is the worst customer service & company worldwide!!! Customers are unable to get assistance or any response until after the 30 days given by Fingerhut for returns or after a complaint is filed with the BBB. Even after this they do not honor nor support the product they sold to you. Their S&H is extremely high as well as the interest!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

I open my account not long ago maybe a month ago ordered a few things was happy about the quality. I just made a new order and tried to adjust the shipping cost and even 1st standard shipping was $30 then tried to use the 2 day shipping and the total came out higher then what was. Don't know where the extra money is going but couldn't get in explanation.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

I ordered a end table and a rug. Rug was supposedly del one day. End table next day. Never received either one of them. Fingerhut says they show delivered. Had to fill out affidavit they agree to credit me for rug but not table. Why one not other? I think they were never sent. I have received other packages - never a problem with other companies so beware. Don't trust them.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

I applied for Fingerhut acct online to order at times I would see something I wanted. Filling out the application, gave all the pertinent info needed weeks ago. After not hearing anything as to status at ALL... I called and was told I needed to send by mail or other means proof of my ID. On that note, I did mail my proof with a copy of my utility bill... Still no reply, I called again... and was told the proof of ID was never received. If they did not get my mail... it would have come back to me.... but did not. I don't think I want to do business with this company... and especially after I read all the bad reviews... AMEN!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I have been a Fingerhut customer over many years -- occasionally purchasing something and always paying it off early. This past year, I purchased one of their Karaoke Machines, for a total cost of nearly $300.00, and again paid if off early. My mistake. Now I'm out the money because the machine doesn't work and they will not stand behind their merchandise and make things right, even though I turned them into the BBB. My advice is not to order anything from them. The merchandise doesn't last and is of inferior quality from other countries. They are only after your money and don't care if the customer is right/happy or not. There are other options. If you can get a Fingerhut account, you can probably apply for a credit card and at least they will refund your money in situations like this. Bad company!!!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I have ordered from Fingerhut off and on for over 25 years. I came back to them as a customer. I wanted to order a simple large tote bag for work, cost $19.99. Shipping was $9.99! After tax was also added, it came to $31.95! Ridiculous. They will devour you with their shipping costs.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

Let's see where to begin?? Well here goes. I opened up a account to start building credit and I haven't even used the account for several months or even made a first purchase!!! But today on Valentine's???? I wanted to send some flowers to my mom just to do something special for her. So I called Teleflora and waited. First time was 10 minutes on hold and they couldn't get the card to go through so I called ** to verify my credit account number and I got then I called Teleflora back and second time was 20 minutes on hold and then they still couldn't get it to go through.

So I called ** back and they proceed to tell me I have to put 30 dollars down in order to process the order. Now you tell me why someone would want to put a down payment on a 45.00 flower bouquet. WTF is wrong with this purchase? The whole point of credit is to be able to have access to it and use when needed. I will be closing this ** line of credit and Never using these services again!!!! Do yourself a favor go down to any store and buy some flowers. It will be less headache and stress. I strongly advise you too!!!! Hell they don't even deserve one???? Star rating!!!

Fingerhut Company Information