3.4/5 (501 ratings)

About Fingerhut

Fingerhut Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fingerhut?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fingerhut?

Original review: Oct. 29, 2020

This is by far the worst company I have ever dealt with. Don't waste your time nor money. Out of all my payments I was late one day on only one payment and all the rest were paid early and the payment I was a day late on was during the covid pandemic and due to that day late payment they said it had to start over from the beginning. I get it they have policies but in this situation I feel like it's a bit much. On top of that after I sent an email to Fingerhut stating my frustration they proceeded to call me 7 times in one day only to hang up when I answered the call. As far as I'm concerned this site is designed to hold you down.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2020

I opened what they (Fingerhut) calls a fresh start account. Ok, no problem. I needed a few things, and wanted to rebuild my credit. The first round was good. Got a couple of things and paid off the account, started another one a couple months later. This was going well, until recently. They called to remind me of a payment. So I set up an automatic payment for 10/16/20, I let it go at that. 10/17/20, I get a notice that my credit changed. So I take a look, and to my shock, my score dropped over 50 points with all three credit bureaus. Because Fingerhut tried to take the payment on 10/16/20, said it was declined. How?!? The funds were there. So I had to call and make a payment on the 17th. I went ahead and paid the balance off on the 24th just to get rid of it. I'm going to close the account with them.

Before I paid off the balance, I filed disputes with credit bureaus and called Fingerhut to tell them they were wrong for doing this to me and I could hardly understand the representative I was speaking with. She "read a script" I suppose, and apologized for the inconvenience to me. That's what they always say. The representative was of no help whatsoever. Then I left a pretty detailed message on Fingerhut's messenger in the hopes of some resolution to the situation. I doubt that this negative impact they left on my credit report will be resolved, but at least I have not left my feelings about the situation unheard. I have definitely voiced my opinion.

Whatever you do, don't do business with this company. It's not worth it. Shop elsewhere. There are many other ways to rebuild or start building your credit, if that's what you're looking to do. I learned the hard way through this situation. I will never do business with Fingerhut again. I had a family member who used to always buy from them in the 90s, and she said they were good then. Well, not anymore apparently. Again, take your business elsewhere. Besides, you will find what you're looking for a lot cheaper than what Fingerhut charges for the same thing. Another lesson I learned the hard way.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2020

I opened a Fingerhut account after my divorce because my Credit was destroyed and they are an easy account to get approved for. I've made several purchases over the last 5 years and the products were good but overpriced. But I was ok with paying more because at least I had a start to improving my credit. Well now they are trying to destroy my Credit by bullying me into making purchases. I now have 16 accounts all in good standing and a very good credit score.

Here's what they do....They give you a "temporary" credit line increase for being an "excellent customer". But the catch is that you need to spend that much to keep the increase or they take it away. In other words, if they give you a $500 increase, then you need to spend $500 to keep it or they take it away. So when the increase gets reported to Credit bureaus, your score will go up but then it goes down when they drop it back down. I complained to them about this after they did it several times and they said they said they would note my account to not receive any more temporary increases.

So a few months go by and now I receive a letter from them saying that since my account is inactive (my balance has been paid off for months and I no longer make purchases) that they are going to decrease my credit limit from $2600 to $1500 if I don't purchase something!!! For anyone who is trying to build their credit and is familiar with how credit agencies work, having a credit limit reduced affects your credit score negatively. So I either have to buy something or my Credit score will drop. I would love to close this account BUT it's the oldest account I have and that would impact my credit score negatively because credit agencies average your credit age and it would shorten my credit history. So Fingerhut is holding me hostage. Unless I buy something, I'm screwed!!! BEWARE of this company!!!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2020

I ordered a perfume 2 months ago never received it. In a middle of pandemic I went out to email affidavit twice. They still haven't sent me my item which by the way I pay 40 a week every week. I wait on hold over 1 hour every time I call. Only to be told to send another affidavit. Charges me for an item I never received. I also been a good customer paying weekly for 2 years straight. Worse customer service ever. They gonna lose a good customer over a 100 perfume when I have ordered hundreds of dollars worth of stuff and paid. I will never order anything else. They can keep the perfume. I will order from somewhere else.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2020

Their jewelry is a ripoff. You don't get the actual size that is stated on the picture when you order. It's very small and not good quality at all and not worth the money you have to pay for it. Also, they won't let you return it because of the reasons I stated not the actual size and bad quality gold.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2020

I called customer service to get information about my application because it told me I had to verify myself. The lady who I was speaking with ask me several questions and I answer and told me to send my bill to them. I ask why and she hung up on me. I called back and from the sound of it I got the same representative. I ask for a manager and set on hold for over a hour total and then was told my manager or supervisor is in a meeting with the client leave your number they will call back.

I use my second line to call and got a different representative who had me on hold for 20 minutes and came back tell me, "I know you said on your other line you been on hold for a hour but we about to close. Call tomorrow." I explained to her that this was horrible customer service and I didn’t want to wait until tomorrow to call again. She then at this point said, "We close at 6 and hung up." So totally I been hung up on 3 times and no manager. I no longer wish to do business with this company and base off the reviews I dodged a bullet.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2020

I got laid off, had nothing but the run around from FH each mo. to try and get them to pay through the safe line insurance, that I had paid into for years. Argue, spend hours on phone with someone with such a rich accent you can't understand them... After I got re-hired, I stopped safe line payments and tried to make my regular payments, but they wouldn't go through. The rep, who, again, was near impossible to understand, couldn't do anything to help me. No forwarding number, nothing. I even called my bank to verify they weren't declining the payment. Soon as they are paid off, if I don't claim bankruptcy first, they are fn history!!! Compare prices folks, at other sites...you'll see that FH charges 2, 3, and 4 times more...

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

I ordered a bracelet from Fingerhut - a 10-karat semi-solid gold bracelet. It arrived broken. When I called them to return it they said no problem but I would have to wait for a return label. I was perfectly inside of my return date but the first stable never came. After contacting them the second time they sent me a label but by the time they received it it was outside of the return date so of course they wouldn't credit me. They wouldn't fix it and they told me as of the 26th of the current month they were going to dispose of it. I told her how are you possibly going to dispose of something you're charging me for. So now I'm stuck paying for something that I don't even have. I give this company zero Stars. If I could their customer service is horrible and they play games when you try to return something to them. If you're looking to them to buy gold do not do it. This company is crap.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

Before you chose to open a Fingerhut account, please read other reviews on this company. Once they have you locked in with many years on your credit report they start to ding you. They will tell you if you don't order something by such and such a date they will close your account. Even when you have worked hard not to buy unwanted stuff. Having a company close your account does not look good. They give you make-believe credit increase but if you don't use it they take it away and report it to the credit bureau as a decrease in your credit limit. I can go on all day but Please, if you know what is good for you, do not open a Fingerhut account. You will pay dearly if you do.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

I used $1500 of my $1800 limit and paying more than minimum each month-never late. They offered me a new credit limit of $2400 IF I purchased something to that brought my balance to that amount. I didn't use the extra credit. A few months later, I get a notice my credit score dropped 45 points because it appears they just reduced my limit which was never there to begin with. I am going to call and complain but I've seen a few other reports like this and it seems that Fingerhut doesn't care. I'll be cancelling my account! They falsify information and will damage your credit. Stay away.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2020

I opened a new account on August 13th with this company. Went to put a down payment on my item and it said it didn't go through. So I did it again and got the same error. Lo and behold they DOUBLE charged me and I had to call 12 freaking times that day explaining the situation and now 6 days later they still have not refunded my money and basically have called me a liar even though I sent a bank statement and my bank had me do a three way call today and they were beyond rude to my bank. Needless to say I closed my account on the 13th as well... ICE has already been notified and so has Homeland Security (my father works for them). Stay away from this crap company.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2020

I sent back a radio that I ordered and due to COVID, I was not able to get a receipt. NOW they don't want to give me the refund because they did not receive the item back and I did not have a receipt due to not being able to get one during the quarantine. I now have to pay for something I don't even have any longer.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2020

After receiving very bad products. I stopped buying. This results in threats to lower your credit. They lower your credit score by 10 points by closing your account even when paid on time. Simply if you don't buy their craps products "we will retaliate by lowering lowering your credit score."

Original review: Aug. 9, 2020

Recommended by CreditKarma, I applied with the intent of increasing credit score. I’ve had an account with them for a few years now, paid it off in April. I’ve noticed most of what I’ve gotten from them has malfunctioned in some way, so just holding it open. Offered a “temporary credit increase” of $700, the catch if you don’t use it, you lose it. My credit score after paying off these accounts had risen over 70 pts. Well, since I didn’t use the $700, it showed up on my credit report as having less available credit, so therefore score dropped. I called to request that I receive no further “temporary” credit increases.

Lo & behold, I go to check my account & they had reduced my available credit by another $600 creating another drop in score. I’m furious & feel this is an awful business practice. I’ll never order anything from them again & I urge others to avoid their unethical business, especially if you’re attempting to rebuild credit. If you continue to read reviews here you’ll note this is a common occurrence. I should be the one to determine how my credit is managed, for either good or bad, not a business.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

Fingerhut is proving themselves to be a dishonest company to me repeatedly. I signed up with them when I got my divorce many years ago. They kept increasing my credit line and when I do not purchase anything they reduce my credit limit then report to the credit agencies. That affects you negatively. Also, they are the only creditors I am aware of that keeps reporting you to the credit agencies during this COVID pandemic for being late. They also keep charging late fee upon late fee during this sad times.

They refer you to a credit protection company of theirs called Safeline that refuses to activate the credit protection. They think of all types of excuses not to activate it when you have been paying for it for years. Fingerhut is silently robbing people. I hope their dishonesty catches up with them. In addition to that, they have a robocall system that calls you as soon as it is 8:00 am and keeps calling every 30 minutes throughout the day. All this for being 10 days late.... it’s a damn shame!!!!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2020

I have credit with FingerHut. Every few months I get a letter from them stating that my credit score will be lowered if I do not make a purchase with them. I filed a complaint against the FTC. Nothing happened. So now I need Consumer Affairs help. I think what Fingerhut is going should be illegal.

Original review: July 30, 2020

I have been doing service with Fingerhut for well over a year. I have always paid my payments on time. Never failed being late. In fact I'm pay a week early and still yet I can't get a credit line increase. I know someone who was always late with payments and got a increase. You would think they would wanna value the loyal customers. I paid my 1st account off early which was fresh start account and they refuse to give me a credit line increase even when I had house fire and a death. I still made my payments and I went through a tornado but I made them my priority. So once I get them paid off I believe I won't do any more business with them. They dont care about their loyal customers. You would think they would give the ones that's never late on payments a credit increase but nope. They give it to the ones who's late and never pays on time.

Original review: July 27, 2020

My daughter loves the ps4. We get our games also. New, unused, no problems with any of the ps4. No problems with any of the games. Very good quality. I suggest someone like me unknowing of good systems to buy from Fingerhut. There is returns, warranty & never used either. My favorite place to shop.

Original review: July 16, 2020

I'm frustrated as you can imagine. I purchased a Chef's Mark Digital Slow Cooker in 02/2020 from Fingerhut. While using the cooker, The bottom fell out of the insert while lifting up the insert with the food in it. So fine, I have a warranty with Chef's Mark. I also have extended insurance with the Fingerhut affiliate, Assurance. I have been going around and around with Fingerhut, Chef's Mark and Assurance for 3 months. Each deciding that they are not the responsible party to fulfill the warranty and get me another slow cooker. This has taken hours combined trying to fix this. I don't know if I will purchase another item from Fingerhut unless I am desperate.

On top on attempting to get this taken care of, I have no Asian language skills. Then someone on that end, gets frustrated with me for asking to repeat themselves. Although I could let this go and figure it as a loss, it's the principle of the thing. I should have an expectation of getting this handled and standing by the product they sell and by not getting the run around. So it is still not finished, the last woman is sending the issue to the next person up. She is supposed to figure things out and get back to me. Fingers crossed it will be soon.

Original review: July 15, 2020

This company is a big fraud. The customer service department advises you one of thing yet once you make your payments per agreement, your credit line is never reinstated. It's a gimmick, Do not shop!!

Original review: July 13, 2020

I have had Fingerhut for about 2 years. Every so often, they give me a credit line increase. Then my credit score boosts up. YAY... NOTTTT!!! Because if you don't use the credit increase, you lose it. When you lose it, it affects your credit score negatively. I have a $1400 limit and when they increase it to $2400 I get that great boost but losing the $1000 limit, screws my credit. And this happens about every 3 months!!!! So if for instance, you get that $1000 extra and you only use $200, then in 3 months, you still keep the extra $200 increase but then lose the $800 which STILL affects your credit negatively. So, for 3 months, I can't and WON'T use Fingerhut because now they are forcing me to use their credit, then still lose credit.

I emailed Fingerhut to ask them to STOP increasing my credit but they just play dumb. It's "out of their hands". Huh? Not to mention, most things I can buy on Fingerhut, I can purchase cheaper anywhere else and usually with FREE shipping. Their shipping is astronomical. If you can, get a secured credit card and forget about Fingerhut. I have decent credit over the years and yet, this still impacts me every single time they mess with my credit line.

Original review: July 2, 2020

A few months back, I created an account with Fingerhut, but didn't order anything. I moved since I created this account, and decided to order something today. My address needed updated and would not allow me to update this online, so I called the customer service line. Three customer service reps and an hour later and they still couldn't get it updated. This is serious incompetence and I refuse to do business with this company as a result.

Original review: June 22, 2020

This site was great to me when I had bad credit and needed something to give me a boost. I bought much needed pots and pans, however now that my credit has risen this company kind of takes advantage of you. Not only are their products 2 to 3 times more than retail, they will also give you credit increases... which is great. Except that they require you to spend more money in order to keep them. They reported the increase to the credit bureaus and now if I don't spend $600 by the end of the month they are lowering my credit limit back down, which will essentially hurt my credit. This kind of thing is not okay, and I feel like others should be warned before they use this to try to help build their credit.

Resolution response: Nov. 17, 2021

After 6 long yrs it's finally off my credit report.

Original review: June 10, 2020

Fraud alert. Before moving back NJ in 2015. I kept getting Bills from Fingerhut for a tablet. So after the 6th bill I finally call them. I tell them it wasn't me who ordered. They didn't wanna fix issue. Now it's on my credit report and they will never remove it. They said the person that ordered used my ssn. So coz of that they say I'm responsible to pay even though I didn't order anything and never received anything from them. They said I would have had to file a police report in VA where it happened. But by that time I was already in NJ.

Original review: June 8, 2020

Fingerhut is OK if you have terrible credit, but even then, there has to be better choices than buying from them. The products are 3 or 4 times what you would pay retail for and the goods are all bottom of the line products. I've ordered a couple of things from them and paid them off promptly. They do report your payment history to the credit bureaus.

Original review: June 7, 2020

Their products are cheap quality and they prey upon those who have less than perfect credit with garbage overpriced products. There are far too many other options to choose from than Fingerhut. Between the cheap products that fall apart or their interest they are a horrible company. STAY AWAY!!!

Original review: June 7, 2020

I placed an order for My pillow Mattress topper the second week in April 2020. I was told that the item is on backorder and I would have to wait until June 8 for the shipping date. Then on June 6, 2020 I just happen to check email to find out that I got an email from the company stating they are sorry but they have to reschedule my order, I got so upset, here it is after waiting a month for the mattress topper, to get an email two days before the delivery date to be told to wait another month which I felt that was poor customer service also bad business. So I immediately called and asked to cancel the order also cancel my account. I will not recommend this company to anyone not even my worst enemy... BAD BUSINESS.

Original review: May 28, 2020

Fingerhut is HORRIBLE! I was lucky enough to paid off my balance, just before the pandemic. Now without a job for month. They have send me a letter trying to force me to buy something saying if I don't buy something they are going to reducing my credit limit by almost 3000, affecting my credit rating. This is EXTORTION!

Original review: May 26, 2020

Stay away from this company, they give you temporary increase in credit and demand you use it or they take it away before the allotted time you have and it lowers your credit scores!!! I hate this company!!!!

Original review: May 21, 2020

The chair came apart on me and I only weigh 140. One of the medal pieces broke right off sending me to the floor. Cheaply made and would never recommend the furniture to anyone. If I could include a picture I would.

Fingerhut Company Information