3.9/5 (1988 ratings)

About DIRECTV

DIRECTV is a direct broadcast satellite provider that transmits to homes throughout the United States and the Caribbean. There are many different packages to choose from, each offering a variety of features, channels and DVR options. It's important to note that DIRECTV requires a two-year contract, and most customers experience an increase in prices after the first year.

Pros

• Various programming options
  • Easy to relocate with
  • Multiple packages available

Cons

• Costly to cancel
  • Price increases after first year

Bottom Line

DIRECTV is a leader in satellite broadcasting. The company’s services are ideal for people who want a lot of options for TV channels, features and packages.

Top DIRECTV Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I did a lot of research and finally decided to try AT&T DirecTV. From the very beginning, signing on, installation of equipment, and answering any question I had, the service I re...

Verified

We have been with DirecTV for many years and we on occasion will need a DirecTV service tech to help us out. We contacted DirecTV and they sent a Service Tech out to us named Pat ...

DIRECTV packages

DIRECTV has many different channels but understands that customers have very specific wants and needs when it comes to programming options. The company offers a variety of packages with multiple features, channels and DVR options. DIRECTV has six different plans:

• Select: A budget-friendly option with basic channels. Customers can access 155 channels.
  • Choice: A great option for families that has a variety of different program preferences. Customers can access 185 channels.
  • Entertainment: A good choice for sports lovers. Customers can access 160 channels.
  • Xtra: The company’s most popular package. Customers can access 235 channels.
  • Ultimate: Ideal for movie lovers. This comprehensive package gives customers access to 250 channels.
  • Premier: Gives you every option you need for an all-inclusive TV watching experience. Customers can access 330 channels.

DIRECTV has multiple extras and add-ons you can add to your plan. This includes premium channels like HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, The Outdoor Channel, NBA League Pass, NFL Sunday Ticket and DogTV.

DIRECTV prices

The six plans come in at different price points. Installation and DVR hookups are included in your package, but you pay $7 a month and a $99 installation fee if you want additional receivers. There is also a $9.99 a month regional sports fee.

Prices for individual packages are:

• Select: Plans start at $59 a month
  • Choice: Plans start at $69 a month
  • Entertainment: Plans start at $64 a month
  • Xtra: Plans start at $79 a month
  • Ultimate: Plans start at $84 a month
  • Premier: Plans start at $134 a month

While DIRECTV offers great introductory offers, you must sign a two-year contract, and rates increase in the second year. Be sure to ask about second-year pricing before signing a contract. If you want to cancel your plan early, you must pay $20 per month for every month left on the contract.

Other fees to be aware of include a $99 fee when a technician must be dispatched to make repairs. You can put your streaming services on hold until you return home if you’re going on vacation, but there's a $7 a month charge. There is also a $19.95 activation fee.

The company charges $4.25 if you are late paying your bill. You must return your equipment if you cancel your service — if you choose to keep it, you'll end up paying anywhere between $45 and $135 to cover the costs.

DIRECTV FAQ

Can you get internet through DIRECTV?
DIRECTV doesn’t provide internet service directly, but it offers internet services through AT&T.
How much does DIRECTV really cost?
DIRECTV plans range from $49 to $125 a month, plus service fees and installation.
Is DIRECTV better than cable?
DIRECTV has better equipment and technology than many basic cable providers, and it tends to offer more channels.
What is the best DIRECTV package?
It depends on how much TV you watch and what channels you want. The Entertainment package is best for sports lovers, while the Choice option has a lot of family-friendly options. The best package for you varies based on your budget and your TV preferences.

Is DIRECTV good?

In 2019, over 16 million people across the country subscribed to DIRECTV. While channel options and DVR capabilities are a plus, the significant price increase after the first year and challenging cancellation process may discourage people from committing to DIRECTV. Be sure you completely understand your contract before committing to DIRECTV’s services.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DIRECTV?

Original review: March 17, 2022

Bill was increasing every month without any updates or adds to my account, 31.00 increase in 2 months. At the end of every year this happens. Sometimes sooner. They indicate at the end of the current promo. I explained to the service agent, Lena agent #** I have been a loyal 10 year customer. Have not added to my account and just want the same service without the drastic increases without warning. She was very professional and told me to in the future call approx. 2 weeks prior to promo ending so I can be switched to the current promo. She was able to get my bill down to a reasonable amount, without the usual excuse. Thank you Lena!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

Competitive Pricing with other Sat & Cable Providers. Attempted to Requests and told by customer AT&T does Not Match Pricing. Free open market. Do not understand why legacy customers are Not Extended same professional Services.

Get buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 23, 2021

Their programming is pretty good. Of course the more you get the higher the bill. But you can call yearly and complain, threaten to leave and they’ll knock a $150 bill down to $90 which is great but a pain to do that. Overall score 8 out of 10.

Original review: July 20, 2021

Love DirecTV, BUT after going under AT&T the prices have skyrocketed and continue to climb. They do offer discounts up to a year depending on what package you get. However, you will get sticker shock after those promos end. I have two other alternatives but they are also expensive. Looks like I'll be cutting the cord soon and going to streaming services.

Original review: July 16, 2021

Their rates are reasonable. Their service is good, whether on the phone or having a technician come to the house. I don't mind the dish on the roof. Now with the new box, I have better reception with HD & when there is a disruption in service, you can switch over to low definition.

Original review: May 13, 2022

I have consistently lose channels. They will not come out to fix. Pay for a premium sports package that is no longer available. Pay for two boxes one does not work and fighting to replace. This company sucks and customer service is terrible

Original review: May 10, 2022

This is by far the worst company in the country. Our government is sleeping. Anyone try calling their service department. All calls go to overseas Philippines. Their English is bad. It is at least 2 hours to get anywhere and then they will not answer anything. My internet is not working. I pay 250 dollars a month. So far I can't even find out why. This company should be shut down and CEO should be fired. The whole thing is horrible. Never seen anything like this in my life.

Original review: May 9, 2022

I canceled DirecTV over a year ago. They continued to call, offering me some 'great deals.' I contacted them and asked them to stop. They assured me multiple times the calls would stop. Over a year later I'm receiving 3 to 4 calls from them a day. I've allowed my voice-mail to fill up so they can't leave any more messages. Under no circumstances will I ever use AT&T/DirecTV again. I want this harassment to cease.

Original review: May 7, 2022

Yea so I have a 2 year contract that goes like this, $82.00 a month for 12 months and then BAM!!!, $132.00 a month for the next 12 months, really, for what… FOR WHAT??? I could see maybe an increase of $19.95, but an increase of $49.00 a month and absolutely nothing new, not even any lubrication!! You can bet I’m done with supporting this bunch come 2023!! Hello Dish!

Original review: May 4, 2022

Beware DirecTV charges you for services even after you cancel. My bill increased from 50.96 to 125.18 per month (because a promotion expired). I immediately called and canceled the service when I saw that bill. However, DirecTV said they could not prorate their next month’s charges based on when I canceled. As such they billed me for another full month at the high 125.18 rate even though I had canceled the service. This shows DirecTV has a business model of cheating its customers. Beware of promotions for when they come off they will make sure they get as much money from you as possible even if it means charging you for weeks after you cancel their service. Terrible company. Will never use again. Going to Sling TV.

DIRECTV Company Information