Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.69/5
Based on 1,871 ratings submitted in the last year

DIRECTV is a direct broadcast satellite provider that transmits to homes throughout the United States and the Caribbean. There are many different packages to choose from, each offering a variety of features, channels and DVR options. It's important to note that DIRECTV requires a two-year contract, and most customers experience an increase in prices after the first year.

BOTTOM LINE

DIRECTV is a leader in satellite broadcasting. The company’s services are ideal for people who want a lot of options for TV channels, features and packages.

PROS
  • Various programming options
  • Easy to relocate with
  • Multiple packages available
CONS
  • Costly to cancel
  • Price increases after first year

Top DIRECTV Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about DIRECTV?

I did a lot of research and finally decided to try AT&T DirecTV. From the very beginning, signing on, installation of equipment, and answering any question I had, the service I received was outstanding, thorough and complete. The cost was almost half of my past cable company…

We have been with DirecTV for many years and we on occasion will need a DirecTV service tech to help us out. We contacted DirecTV and they sent a Service Tech out to us named Pat **. I can't begin to share with you and your CEO how pleased we are with the professionalism Pat demonstrated…

DIRECTV packages

DIRECTV has many different channels but understands that customers have very specific wants and needs when it comes to programming options. The company offers a variety of packages with multiple features, channels and DVR options. DIRECTV has six different plans:

• Select: A budget-friendly option with basic channels. Customers can access 155 channels.
    • Choice: A great option for families that has a variety of different program preferences. Customers can access 185 channels.
    • Entertainment: A good choice for sports lovers. Customers can access 160 channels.
    • Xtra: The company’s most popular package. Customers can access 235 channels.
    • Ultimate: Ideal for movie lovers. This comprehensive package gives customers access to 250 channels.
    • Premier: Gives you every option you need for an all-inclusive TV watching experience. Customers can access 330 channels.

DIRECTV has multiple extras and add-ons you can add to your plan. This includes premium channels like HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, The Outdoor Channel, NBA League Pass, NFL Sunday Ticket and DogTV.

DIRECTV prices

The six plans come in at different price points. Installation and DVR hookups are included in your package, but you pay $7 a month and a $99 installation fee if you want additional receivers. There is also a $9.99 a month regional sports fee.

Prices for individual packages are:

• Select: Plans start at $59 a month
    • Choice: Plans start at $69 a month
    • Entertainment: Plans start at $64 a month
    • Xtra: Plans start at $79 a month
    • Ultimate: Plans start at $84 a month
    • Premier: Plans start at $134 a month

While DIRECTV offers great introductory offers, you must sign a two-year contract, and rates increase in the second year. Be sure to ask about second-year pricing before signing a contract. If you want to cancel your plan early, you must pay $20 per month for every month left on the contract.

Other fees to be aware of include a $99 fee when a technician must be dispatched to make repairs. You can put your streaming services on hold until you return home if you’re going on vacation, but there's a $7 a month charge. There is also a $19.95 activation fee.

The company charges $4.25 if you are late paying your bill. You must return your equipment if you cancel your service — if you choose to keep it, you'll end up paying anywhere between $45 and $135 to cover the costs.

DIRECTV FAQ

Can you get internet through DIRECTV?
    DIRECTV doesn’t provide internet service directly, but it offers internet services through AT&T.
    How much does DIRECTV really cost?
    DIRECTV plans range from $49 to $125 a month, plus service fees and installation.
    Is DIRECTV better than cable?
    DIRECTV has better equipment and technology than many basic cable providers, and it tends to offer more channels.
    What is the best DIRECTV package?
    It depends on how much TV you watch and what channels you want. The Entertainment package is best for sports lovers, while the Choice option has a lot of family-friendly options. The best package for you varies based on your budget and your TV preferences.

Is DIRECTV good?

In 2019, over 16 million people across the country subscribed to DIRECTV. While channel options and DVR capabilities are a plus, the significant price increase after the first year and challenging cancellation process may discourage people from committing to DIRECTV. Be sure you completely understand your contract before committing to DIRECTV’s services.

DIRECTV Reviews

Over 10k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DIRECTV?

Original review: Jan. 8, 2021

Direct TV is a streaming cable service that provided a large number of channels on their base package. The issue for us is that they continued to raise their prices. Each year, similar to internet service providers, they would increase our bill incrementally to return our service price to the standard retail price. They didn't offer us any additional channels, or any other perks, so cutting their service was not a hard decision. In two years, our price went from $49.99 to $69.99. When people are cutting their cable to go to streaming service and pay for what you get, it is difficult to continue that service if the price continues to rise.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2021

I have had DirecTV for years. I left them for about a month and went to AT&T Uverse, that was horrible! I came back to DirecTV. They have improved their satellite dish from past years, so it does not cut off like it use to when there is inclement weather. However, if it's pouring rain or heavy wet snow, it will still go out. Lately there has not been anything worth watching on the premium channels. I have had better luck on the basic channels or by using one of the streaming services. They really need to improve their channel lineup. Streaming companies like Netflix and Amazon Prime have more to choose from.

Get buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2021

I have not had many issues, except during a storm or high winds then I will lose Internet and this affect the dish. Most of the channels I do not watch. There should be a package that I could pick the channels, and depending on how many I pick should be able to have a lower price. They could also have a senior discount. Also a children's selection, where the parents could select and put in an area so they could enter just the appropriate channels depending on the child's age. Example would be for age 2-6 then another one for 7-10 etc. With the parent able to use a password for each section. I know this sounds a little overwhelmed, but if you have children you would know the frustration of going through these channels. I hope this will let you know how frustrating it is for the person or persons going through all the channels.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

I had Spectrum for many years. And I liked it. But the price was increasing almost every month! Unfortunately, customer loyalty means nothing to companies any more. I understand cost of living increases, and that to stay in business, companies have to make money. Price increases are happening all the time. Costs get passed on to the customer. But, when increases are happening regularly, and it seems that companies are just being greedy, you lose me and my money. I went with AT&T because I could get NFL Sunday Ticket and see every game of the season. I had to acquire DirecTV satellite for the NFL package. But, (there's always a but), the service rep promised a total of $300 in gift cards, which is great. Or WAS great. I had called just to see who I would switch to. When the call ended I was promised the deal would be available. After consideration and research, I called back and took their deal.

Months went by and no gift cards. I called the rep again to see what was holding up the cards. I was shocked to find out that the rep wasn't available any longer. And, that the deal was only offered by THAT rep! I was stuck with their service and contract! I wound up finally getting a credit, and a gift card totaling $150. That STUNK! I have enjoyed the NFL season, and have had no interruption in service at all. I had many interruptions and problems with Spectrum. The satellite interruptions never appeared. I am moving next year, and will see what options I have for cable or satellite at the new address. Other than the hocus-pocus with the gift cards, I have really enjoyed AT&T, DirecTV, their internet, and phone services. I would definitely recommend AT&T/DirecTV to anyone.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2020

I have been a long time customer of DirecTV even thru the merger/buyout by AT&T from Verizon, and they still answer the phone anytime I need to call them. I might pay a bit more now, but I don't have any issues. If I have any issues, I call right away to discuss what my problem is, and what they can do about it. Yes my bill is sub-$200.00, but I don't have anything bad to say about "DirecTV". I have been a customer for over 12 years. My mother got away from Comcast/Xfinity because her bill kept going up, and they kept taking channels away, so she came on with me probably 9 years ago and we split the bill, which helps. Thanks - Dan J.

Original review: April 30, 2021

I’ve been trying to get an actual copy of my contract for a long time. They won’t provide one. They’ll only tell you verbally what the contract contains (plan, termination date, etc.), which is #1 contrary to law (any party to a contract is entitled to a record of what they agreed to), and #2 is a deceptive business practice. By not having a “hard copy” of what you agreed to, you’d never know when you could cancel the service. Depending upon who you speak with at customer service, the date won’t be the same. So, if you terminate your service, they can access any number of early termination fees and you’ll have no recourse. How many people nationwide have been a victim of this? I’ve filed formal complaints with my state AG and the FCC.

Original review: April 16, 2021

I just noticed I am getting a Regional Sports Fee of $3.80 and do not watch sports, I am boycotting sports for being unAmerican. I called to get it removed and DIRECTV said no. How can they make me pay for something I don't want, never asked for, or use?

Original review: April 13, 2021

I have had DirecTv for years and if I had an alternative company that provided NFL Sunday ticket, I would have switched years ago. There are frequent technical problems, and their support staff is not very knowledgeable. If they have to send someone out to do service they charge you, unless you pay them extra. It’s a joke and it seems that every year it’s worse.

Original review: April 7, 2021

I got DirecTV several years ago. I never really had a problem. Until I had to cancel it. I was moving to an apartment complex that didn't allow it. Called them. Turn in the box and then pay the final payment. I did this. The box arrived back there the next day. WOW. The final bill was paid. Until I got a new final bill. For time I wasn't actually using the service. Called Customer Service. Was told I had to pay, for Dec to Jan. I had cancelled at the end of the billing cycle for Dec, which was 22 Dec. I had made a payment in Dec. Next thing I know, it's for Nov to Dec. I am quite furious. After three months of back and forth, I went to pay the bill, after receiving another email. Only, I can't pay because my account is no longer linked to the AT&T site. I will have to call them tomorrow. They generally hit you with a "customer service fee" for NOT using the website (even when the website was glitched for a few months), and if they try to do that, I will be one upset former customer.

Original review: March 6, 2021

I do not believe that I have EVER experienced worse customer service. I sold my home where we had AT&T paired with Directv and was moving temporarily to an apartment while our new home was built. Wanted to move our service but could not have dish in our complex. Decided to move just our ATT service for the 6 months we would be in our apartment and confirmed we could do so. Email confirmation came and stated another 2 year contract would start effective our move date. Called several times and was told they do not offer month to month so I Called to cancel the install before the start up date and returned equipment.

Was told on that phone call that they do offer month to month but was fed up with the disinformation so went with another provider. Then the fun began... Regarding my prior service - originally signed up on a 2 year contract. After 1 year, my bill went from $130 to $203 in the 13th month. Called to disconnect service and was told Directv would charge $20 for every month left on the contract. No problem!

Was told to not pay the current bill because they would credit the difference in price ($70) for the unexpected increase after the year and send a Final bill in a couple of weeks including the $220 early termination fee. Received the bill, paid it in full and then received another bill including a late charge - no credit of the price difference and no help from Coreen (the supervisor that was put on the phone after 2 hours of trying to resolve this issue). Horrible companies, horrible training and disgusting "customer service". I will NEVER, EVER have ANY service connected with ATT/Directv and will spread the word to all who will listen!

DIRECTV Company Information