ConsumerAffairs Verified Brand

Visit Website
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.58/5
Based on 4,555 ratings submitted in the last year

Looking for a TV service provider?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

For years, DIRECTV has been committed to providing the greatest digital television experience to over 37 million customers in both the U.S and Latin America. Every aspect of our company is centered on bringing each customer state-of-the-art service.

We understand that it is important to our customers that they work with a company that respects and understands their wants and needs, which is why DIRECTV’s employees are trained and ready to assist and answer any of your digital television needs. For the #1 satellite TV service in the country, choose DIRECTV.

View More View More

DIRECTV Reviews

Original review: Aug. 23, 2019

Looking for a better TV/internet/phone service about 8 months he ago, I did a lot of research and finally decided to try AT&T DirecTV. From the very beginning, signing on, installation of equipment, and answering any question I had, the service I received was outstanding, thorough and complete. The cost was almost half of my past cable company. The second year was to go up some and this was understood. However, when I called to see if I could bring the cost down a little, AT&T without hesitation actually reduced the cost from the first year. All companies might do well to look at the management of AT&T. They care and are definitely client-oriented. They have worked hard to earned my loyalty and have succeeded.

Original review: April 12, 2019

We’ve been a customer for years. The prices goes up but, we’ve been able to contact them to get the price adjusted without losing services we wanted to keep. Today, I bought a new tv for my husband and he wanted to add 4K to our plan. I called and they told me we need to update our box and it would cost 399.00. So...I told them no thank you because that’s outrageous! We’ve had these boxes for three years. Anyway, I hung up disappointed. About half an hour later a manager called me. She said the representative I spoke to brought the situation to her attention and, after reviewing our account, they would like to offer us the upgraded equipment at no charge. We scheduled the installation date. I was honestly so surprised. Directv isn’t known for great service and we have had our ups and downs with them but, this went over and above. It was refreshing and so appreciated.

Get expert buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 20, 2019

Had what I thought was a reception issue and was kept being asked to by a maintenance plan. After numerous calls to their horrible overseas call center, got a 2 month free trial for the maintenance plan and had outside wiring issue fixed (which they wired to start with). Tech gave me a local number to call because he has heard numerous similar complaints. Waiting for final 9 out of 24 month commitment to end to get rid of them. Sling + streaming (ROKU in my case) are the way to go.

Original review: March 12, 2019

We have been with DirecTV for many years and we on occasion will need a DirecTV service tech to help us out. We contacted DirecTV and they sent a Service Tech out to us named Pat **. I can't begin to share with you and your CEO how pleased we are with the professionalism Pat demonstrated and how he explained and corrected the problem. We have a total of 6 receivers in our home and RV and Pat corrected the concern we had in the bedroom receiver and answered some minor questions I had about one of the other receivers. Pat has to be a valuable part of the DirecTV Service Group. Thank You Pat.

Original review: March 3, 2019

I love DirecTV, I actually read the fine print no one reads, the price advertised online is a special price eg, promo price 35/mo reg price 81. So price reverts to normal after deal if you pay your bill on time and keep the other things you need to keep the deal like auto bill pay and paperless. First late payment you lose specials. If you read the terms and conditions and the fine print there is no surprises. Also if you read the bill it is very detailed.

On signal I love it I had a storm blow through I had no signal interruption. I dont know why people say it's bad in a storm. I have never needed to call customer service. The self care portal through the website is wonderful. I've only had to use it twice but I fixed my issue myself and I like that. The service is great if you pay attention to customer agreement, your bill, and the fine print when you sign up. And of course it's expensive. It's the best one out there, if you cant deal with normal price being high you get good service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DIRECTV?

Original review: Feb. 22, 2020

I've been DirecTV for many years it started out great, but after awhile I needed to setup extensions. When I did I paid on that new date. After 5 years with Directv talking with representatives became difficult. They would tell me what I wanted to hear. If I need to set up an extension they would set for a certain date and tell me to call the day before. To push it to the date I really needed. When it came to the day of calling I'll talk to another representative, tell them the reason I'm calling. Then they tell me it can't be done.

This has happened around 6 times, and I'm estimating cause it happened so often. Each time talking to a representative they just made it worse, cause they would just transfer me another person (supervisor) that will say the same thing. A couple days ago I spoke to 4 representatives. All of them lied. One said he would set up an extension, when I got the email it showed that he put the full past due for two days, over charging me. This last time was the last time I was going to be treated horribly from a company that just wants your money. After all I told them I was leaving, I didn't I should pay the price for a that gave me false information. Then to have others doing nothing to help. So I decided to leave. And wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

For a couple of weeks now I have been attempting to rectify an issue with DirecTV regarding billing and services. I have placed seventeen phone calls and spent a combined ten hours on the phone, but this issue still hasn’t been resolved to my satisfaction. My previous promotion, which was $62 per month, was expiring on January 24, 2020, so I called that same day to sign up for a new promotion. I spoke with a representative named Jeff and signed up for a new promotion for $36.99 plus tax per month for twelve months.

Jeff assured me that my new package would contain all of the same channels as my previous package with the exception of sports channels. I was satisfied with the new promotion, but that satisfaction didn’t last very long. When I arrived home the afternoon of January 24, 2020 I received a bill for $124.36 and discovered that I was missing almost seventy channels from my previous package including two channels that I watch frequently, National Geographic Wild and OWN.

Trying to resolve this issue with DirecTV’s Customer Service Department has been an exercise in futility. Their representatives have been unhelpful, incompetent, indifferent and inept. One of DirecTV’s representatives, a supervisor named Peter, was not only unhelpful but he refused to give the name of his supervisor when I told him I was not satisfied with his answer. In addition, Peter refused to give me his employee ID number, told me the Loyalty Department was closed when they were open, and hung up on me.

After numerous calls, emails, and messages to DirecTV’s Social Media Team, I finally received a call from Dan ** from the Office of the President. Dan started the conversation stating that he was going to resolve the issue but unfortunately he fell well short of that. Dan refused to honor the pricing that your representative Jeff had quoted me. Dan did not attempt to look at this issue from my perspective. He kept talking about how much money it would cost DirecTV if he were to honor the pricing that Jeff had quoted me. Dan said the best that he could do was to offer a package of $52 per month that would include the channels that Jeff promised I would have when I signed up for the new promotion. How is that fair?

I questioned Jeff extensively about the channels I would have with the new package and during our conversation Jeff stated several times that I would have all of the channels I had with my previous package with the exception of the sports channels. Jeff offered me a promotion that I accepted based on the way he had described it so DirecTV is obligated to provide that pricing to me. It’s insulting that after the inordinate amount of time I have spent working on this issue that Dan couldn’t offer me the pricing that I had been promised.

Dan didn’t do much better when it came to resolving my billing issue. My previous promotion was for $62 per month and expired on January 24, 2020. The promotion I signed up for that same day is for $36.99 plus tax per month for twelve months. Given the two promotions, it is inconceivable that my bill is $124.36. There was no gap between the two promotions so at no time should I have been charged $124.36. I have been told by DirecTV representatives that the $124.36 charge is because the bill was generated prior to the start of my new promotion but that is a flaw in their billing cycle, and I shouldn’t be penalized for it.

The best Dan offered was to reduce my bill to $62 which was my monthly charge under the previous promotion, especially considering that we have fewer channels now. This is not a satisfactory solution. After spending ten hours trying to resolve this issue, the $124.36 charge should have been wiped away. Not only should the charges be removed, but I should be offered a better package for all of my trouble.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

I was a Directv customer for many years until I moved and took my service with me. They ended up charging me $400 for a new installation with the Spanish package (I don't even speak Spanish) and it took months and several phone calls to get it straightened out. I had to talk to no less than three people each time too and repeat the issue with each person.

In the time it took for them to credit my account they ended up shutting off my service for non payment and it took them three days to turn it back on. I was so upset at this point and told them I want out of my contract. I asked them what I owe to get their equipment out of my house. They gave me a final total in which I paid over the phone and sent me the boxes to return everything in. I returned the equipment and then got yet another bill for $29. When I call the customer service they tell me how they "understand my frustration". No they don't. So 2 months after cancelling my service I'm still dealing with them. I feel the customer service went downhill after they partnered with AT&T. I will never go back to Directv and will not refer my friends or family.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

My husband and I started an account with DirecTV in July of 2017. We had several occasions the first year where equipment was faulty or the satellite was not working. We wondered quite often that year if we had made the right decision. Then things started working well. Now and then something would go bad, but not like it was in the beginning. Our small town recently got a better cable provider. We decided to try to save some $$ and move to this provider. We had been with DirecTV for over 2 1/2 years. We asked the person when we called to terminate if we would have any additional charges and we were told no.

Now a month after that, we have a bill for over $250 for an early termination fee. We called and spoke with 2 different people who we could hardly understand. They told us that in 2018 when a technician came out and replaced a defective part, that our contract started over. We were never told this. This was the first we had heard of it. This is absolutely absurd. We have paid our bill for a very long time and now this is what this company gives us-another bill. We are getting nowhere with this company. I would not recommend DirecTV to anyone in the future.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2020

I am sorry to say that you are by far, the worst company I have ever dealt with as a whole. Your customer service is a joke. I dreaded calling At&t or Directv for ANYTHING. I’ve spent numerous hours on the phone being transferred back and forth, and dealt with this for weeks. Nearly $500 was taken from my account for directv and no one was able to locate my money. It has been more than a year, and nothing. My services were discontinued and my money was gone with no explanation. I sent bank statements and every other piece of information asked for and was never even given a return phone call.

On top of that, every single representative I spoke with was either extremely rude, or extremely clueless. I literally begged to be connected with a supervisor and was denied, very inappropriately by the representative. It was so bad that I finally decided that the $500 wasn’t even worth it anymore, and I definitely can not afford to lose $500, but the ordeal was so stressful, I couldn’t take another second of it. Dealing with anything at&t related is also the same experience. From the people on the phone, to the people in the actual stores. I had to spend too many days in an at&t store, while on hold with a “corporate representative” at the same time, because no one is authorized to do anything.

Just to pay my bill is a 30 minute ordeal. I’ve had to take several extended lunches and breaks at work, just to sit on the phone with a representative to try to resolve an issue that shouldn’t even be an issue. It was one problem after another with this company. They are rude, unknowledgeable, careless, and very difficult to work with. I wondered if their employees even get paid to do their job, because they surely act as if it a punishment for a crime they didn’t commit. With my bill being $450 every month for years, it would have been nice to be treated like a person, and not a nuisance or hassle. Leaving this company was like escaping a toxic relationship. I literally sleep better knowing that I will never have to rely on at&t or directv for anything, ever again.

Not sure about DIRECTV?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right satellite or cable TV provider for you.

DIRECTV expert review by ConsumerAffairs

With more than 39 million customers, DIRECTV is one of the largest providers of paid TV services. The company is headquartered in El Segundo, California, and it provides programming to customers through satellite transmissions.

• Exceptional customer service: The company is rated #1 in customer service compared to other cable and satellite TV providers, according to the American Customer Satisfaction Index.

• Never miss a game: The NFL Sunday Ticket ensures all subscribers can watch out-of-market games.

• Expansive HD catalog: DIRECTV has 195 HD channels, including AMC HD, ABC Family HD, Hallmark Channel HD, among many, many others.

• Record from any television: DIRECTV service comes with an HD Genie that records shows from up to eight televisions throughout a home or office.

• Watch from anywhere: Customers can enjoy family favorites and recorded shows using a mobile device with an Internet connection.

• Best for: Television fans who watch a range of programs and customers with special interests.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team