Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.03/5

DIRECTV is a direct broadcast satellite provider that transmits to homes throughout the United States and the Caribbean. There are many different packages to choose from, each offering a variety of features, channels and DVR options. It's important to note that DIRECTV requires a two-year contract, and most customers experience an increase in prices after the first year.

BOTTOM LINE

DIRECTV is a leader in satellite broadcasting. The company’s services are ideal for people who want a lot of options for TV channels, features and packages.

PROS

• Various programming options
  • Easy to relocate with
  • Multiple packages available

CONS

• Costly to cancel
  • Price increases after first year

Top DIRECTV Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about DIRECTV?

I did a lot of research and finally decided to try AT&T DirecTV. From the very beginning, signing on, installation of equipment, and answering any question I had, the service I received was outstanding, thorough and complete. The cost was almost half of my past cable company…

We have been with DirecTV for many years and we on occasion will need a DirecTV service tech to help us out. We contacted DirecTV and they sent a Service Tech out to us named Pat **. I can't begin to share with you and your CEO how pleased we are with the professionalism Pat demonstrated…

Shop and compare internet deals

See local offers on Find Your Internet

Shop Now

Shop and compare internet deals

See local offers on Find Your Internet

Shop Now

DIRECTV packages

DIRECTV has many different channels but understands that customers have very specific wants and needs when it comes to programming options. The company offers a variety of packages with multiple features, channels and DVR options. DIRECTV has six different plans:

• Select: A budget-friendly option with basic channels. Customers can access 155 channels.
  • Choice: A great option for families that has a variety of different program preferences. Customers can access 185 channels.
  • Entertainment: A good choice for sports lovers. Customers can access 160 channels.
  • Xtra: The company’s most popular package. Customers can access 235 channels.
  • Ultimate: Ideal for movie lovers. This comprehensive package gives customers access to 250 channels.
  • Premier: Gives you every option you need for an all-inclusive TV watching experience. Customers can access 330 channels.

DIRECTV has multiple extras and add-ons you can add to your plan. This includes premium channels like HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, The Outdoor Channel, NBA League Pass, NFL Sunday Ticket and DogTV.

DIRECTV prices

The six plans come in at different price points. Installation and DVR hookups are included in your package, but you pay $7 a month and a $99 installation fee if you want additional receivers. There is also a $9.99 a month regional sports fee.

Prices for individual packages are:

• Select: Plans start at $59 a month
  • Choice: Plans start at $69 a month
  • Entertainment: Plans start at $64 a month
  • Xtra: Plans start at $79 a month
  • Ultimate: Plans start at $84 a month
  • Premier: Plans start at $134 a month

While DIRECTV offers great introductory offers, you must sign a two-year contract, and rates increase in the second year. Be sure to ask about second-year pricing before signing a contract. If you want to cancel your plan early, you must pay $20 per month for every month left on the contract.

Other fees to be aware of include a $99 fee when a technician must be dispatched to make repairs. You can put your streaming services on hold until you return home if you’re going on vacation, but there's a $7 a month charge. There is also a $19.95 activation fee.

The company charges $4.25 if you are late paying your bill. You must return your equipment if you cancel your service — if you choose to keep it, you'll end up paying anywhere between $45 and $135 to cover the costs.

DIRECTV FAQ

Can you get internet through DIRECTV?
DIRECTV doesn’t provide internet service directly, but it offers internet services through AT&T.
How much does DIRECTV really cost?
DIRECTV plans range from $49 to $125 a month, plus service fees and installation.
Is DIRECTV better than cable?
DIRECTV has better equipment and technology than many basic cable providers, and it tends to offer more channels.
What is the best DIRECTV package?
It depends on how much TV you watch and what channels you want. The Entertainment package is best for sports lovers, while the Choice option has a lot of family-friendly options. The best package for you varies based on your budget and your TV preferences.

Is DIRECTV good?

In 2019, over 16 million people across the country subscribed to DIRECTV. While channel options and DVR capabilities are a plus, the significant price increase after the first year and challenging cancellation process may discourage people from committing to DIRECTV. Be sure you completely understand your contract before committing to DIRECTV’s services.

DIRECTV Reviews

Original review: Oct. 12, 2020

If you don't want price hikes, stay away. Will tell you that you wont have to keep calling to haggle about the price but then when you get your bill it takes a steep hike! after 5 years of calling and always having to pay more than double the amount at least one month out of the year I'm DONE with having to deal with them. Take my advice and go a different direction.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2020

I called asking why the bill keeps increasing and they couldn't give a satisfactory answer. When I cancelled membership the customer service agent was not wanting to cancel. I pushed the situation about ending our service after 4 yrs or so of being with them. We never missed a payment. Then after 1 week of paying the bill, they wanted me to pay the next month even though I cancelled. Quite disappointed after being a loyal customer.

Get buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2020

I wishbit would let me select zero stars. I have been a customer for almost 1 year! I have had countless problems with service, billing, and customer service. I have spent countless hours on the phone with them and out of service for countless hours. The equipment you get is old and refurbished so half of it doesn't work. The first month we had Directv our satellite moved on the roof mount and we didn't have service for a week. My auto pay hasn't worked from day one and I have paid over 400 in Restoration fees and they refuse to make it right with me. I would never recommend them to anyone.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2020

Don’t do it! I started a contract with them at $130.00. Never was my bill $130 again after that first month. They added special promotions onto my bill without my knowledge and I ended up paying extra and caused me to get behind. Even when caught up I'm paying $300 dollar cable bills for basic tv phone and internet. After dealing with them for hours nothing resolved I reached out to FCC and an attorney and filed a complaint!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2020

Customer service is horrible. They don’t work with any one with this Covid virus. They over charge. They disrespect you and it’s horrible. Fed up the managers, the care, the staff laugh. They don’t offer you anything to help.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2020

Every time you call in, it takes hours of your time and they don’t get it right. If you happen to get customer service in US, you are lucky. More often, you are stuck with India and they are clueless.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

You will be on hold forever and when you finally get a live person you'll be lucky is you can understand their English. If you want to cancel you'll wait even longer and then likely be hung up on when you reach their cancellation department, which ironically they refer to as the loyalty department. I only have them one star because there was no option to give them a negative 10.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

Recently bought a new house and called to have my service transferred to new address. My two year contract had ended, but they wanted to charge me a $199 transfer fee. I told them to go ahead and cancel my service and requested an address to return the equipment. They then wanted to transfer me to the loyalty department where I had to explain that it made no sense to pay the transfer fee when I could just cancel the fee and then call right back and order new service. They agreed and waived the transfer fee. They lowered my monthly rate by putting me into a 12 month contract and scheduled the transfer to happen today. The four hour window install appointment was set for 8am to Noon today. At 10am, install department calls and says that the install tech did not come to work today and they needed to reschedule the install for Thursday (same 4 hour window). So now I will take off work again and lose $240 income at work again.

I called customer service and requested a credit on my bill and they said no. When I inquired about just cancelling my service they now tell me that it will be with a Early Cancellation Fee for the 12 months at $20/month. Btw, that phone call lasted 1 hour, 1 min, and 53 seconds. I spoke with 3 different people and the last person sounded like his headset was half way down his throat. I requested that he call me back and he did, and that call only lasted 3 min and 23 seconds. The loyalty department guy bragged about DirecTV being the top rated satellite service in the industry. When I asked, "according to who", he gave the reference. I would hate to see the second rated provider. Now, I am losing another day of pay from work, and currently paying for service that I can't use.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

4 years of service and every month I have to dispute charges. Watch you fine print. 3 weeks trying to clear up I $338 bill for services I never had. Representatives notes do not match what you're being told for help. Worst service ever. Even worse customer service.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2020

I've had DirecTV service for about 8 years. I choose this service to watch the NFL Sunday Ticket. Last weekend as I tried to access the service it was not working. I called customer service and they tried for 3 hours to resolve the problem. They were not successful but said that a supervisor would call me back. No one ever called. Today (the following Sunday) I called again because I still did not have the NFL Sunday Ticket.

I called an hour before kickoff. Another customer service agent was not successful in giving me access to the NFL Sunday Ticket. So for the second week in a row I could not watch my game. I called customer service to cancel all my services. After being on the line for more than an hour the agent told me that she was not able to cancel my service because I had a pending order. I explained that the pending order was the NFL Sunday Ticket. She said that because of this pending order she could not cancel my account. She said her supervisor will call me.

DIRECTV Company Information