Looking for a TV service provider?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

2.83/5
Based on 4,723 ratings submitted in the last year

DIRECTV

For years, DIRECTV has been committed to providing the greatest digital television experience to over 37 million customers in both the U.S and Latin America. Every aspect of our company is centered on bringing each customer state-of-the-art service.

We understand that it is important to our customers that they work with a company that respects and understands their wants and needs, which is why DIRECTV’s employees are trained and ready to assist and answer any of your digital television needs. For the #1 satellite TV service in the country, choose DIRECTV.

View More View More

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

DIRECTV Reviews

Original review: Aug. 23, 2019

Looking for a better TV/internet/phone service about 8 months he ago, I did a lot of research and finally decided to try AT&T DirecTV. From the very beginning, signing on, installation of equipment, and answering any question I had, the service I received was outstanding, thorough and complete. The cost was almost half of my past cable company. The second year was to go up some and this was understood. However, when I called to see if I could bring the cost down a little, AT&T without hesitation actually reduced the cost from the first year. All companies might do well to look at the management of AT&T. They care and are definitely client-oriented. They have worked hard to earned my loyalty and have succeeded.

Original review: April 12, 2019

We’ve been a customer for years. The prices goes up but, we’ve been able to contact them to get the price adjusted without losing services we wanted to keep. Today, I bought a new tv for my husband and he wanted to add 4K to our plan. I called and they told me we need to update our box and it would cost 399.00. So...I told them no thank you because that’s outrageous! We’ve had these boxes for three years. Anyway, I hung up disappointed. About half an hour later a manager called me. She said the representative I spoke to brought the situation to her attention and, after reviewing our account, they would like to offer us the upgraded equipment at no charge. We scheduled the installation date. I was honestly so surprised. Directv isn’t known for great service and we have had our ups and downs with them but, this went over and above. It was refreshing and so appreciated.

Get expert buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: March 3, 2019

I love DirecTV, I actually read the fine print no one reads, the price advertised online is a special price eg, promo price 35/mo reg price 81. So price reverts to normal after deal if you pay your bill on time and keep the other things you need to keep the deal like auto bill pay and paperless. First late payment you lose specials. If you read the terms and conditions and the fine print there is no surprises. Also if you read the bill it is very detailed.

On signal I love it I had a storm blow through I had no signal interruption. I dont know why people say it's bad in a storm. I have never needed to call customer service. The self care portal through the website is wonderful. I've only had to use it twice but I fixed my issue myself and I like that. The service is great if you pay attention to customer agreement, your bill, and the fine print when you sign up. And of course it's expensive. It's the best one out there, if you cant deal with normal price being high you get good service.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

WE had called in a few times about getting a wire that we needed for our older T.v. and were sent 4 wrong wires by 4 different agents. And then the 5th time we called and we Got the greatest Customer service rep. She knew exactly what cable we were talking about and she sent it to use and we got it earlier than what she said that we would but we wanted to give her a great review. I give her all 10's. She did a great job. She was fast to answer the questions that we had and was able to pin point exactly what we needed so If her boss is able to see this you should give her something very nice. She stated that she had worked at the customer service for a long time. I wish I would have gotten her employee number so they would know who I was talking about. She is a great person. Thank you very much.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Superb image and sound quality. But the recent "upgrade" for the onscreen display and selection process is quirky at best and much harder to use than the previous displays. The hand-held controller is frequently slow to respond, entries are hit and miss, and some erroneous screens come up (e.g., when deleting a show from the DVR queue, the screen will often select another show altogether). Also, there are recurrent periods of screen drop-outs not related to weather or dish obstructions. Overall, the DirecTV OS is now painfully complex to use. And finally, it is very difficult to determine the actual channel line up for the bare "Family Plan" and to set up a default "Favorite Channels" selection list. Nothing is on the website for this plan. Browser searches return some lineup lists, but they are inaccurate. I still do not know what channels are actually included in the "Family Plan."

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DIRECTV?

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

Only 1 star because you have to. I am attempting to disconnect my Directv.

1) I got scammed into a promotional cost that ended after 12 months. Was not told it was a 24 month contract with regular rates being applied after 12 (it is on my agreement but the print is so small I did not read it while at Walmart). Took triple the amount out of my checking account on the 13th month and bounced all sorts of things.

2) I got laid off about 3 months ago, and FL only pays $250/wk in unemployment, got a job but it is part time making $1000 less per month than I was 6 months ago. Can't afford even the lowest plan at $95 a month.They have nothing lower and in FL force you to pay an extra $9 for sports channels, whether you watch them or not. So many commercials. Most shows are unwatchable.

I am informed I will be receiving a bill for $180 which is $20 for each month left on my contract, no matter my hardship. This whole directv thing is a scam, and I will be sure to stop at the their booth next time I'm at Walmart to mention this scam to anyone who shows an interest in their "promotional" costs. We had a hurricane last year and my dish was damaged, for which they wanted me to pay to have someone out and fix it so I could could the HD channels, which weren't working due to damage from the high winds. $99 for a service call! Absolutely horrible service, I felt like they could care less about anything to do with me.

On top of all that, out of 155 channels, only 40 were watchable with 10-15 minute commercial breaks. Every other channel was a shopping channel (i.e. shark vacuums, kitchen appliances, etc.- about 90 of these) or foreign language channels, and sports channels which I do not watch at all. I will NEVER be suckered into AT&T or Directv again, and I will do my best to inform those who may show an interest in it.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

I’ve had DirecTV thru At&t for roughly two to three years. When I went into the At&t store for something else they were running a promotional on DirecTV Now Live Streaming. We decided to try it and liked it. When I called to cancel the regular DirecTV they put up some resistance and insisted I just suspend it for 6mos. There would be no charges for 6mos. Why they thought I needed two services I have no clue but to save argument I suspended it. At this time I had a credit balance. Just before The 6mos was up I called to cancel. There were no issues. They sent me a ‘gift card’ for my credit and said they would be sending me instructions on returning my equipment via UPS.

When the instructions came there was a listing for one more box than what I had so I called Customer Service. She went over my account and deduced that it must be a replacement box from an earlier trade out and noted my account. Again my account was 0 after I returned my equipment. A month later I get a bill for $109.00. I called and got a run around but he finally credited my account. I just received a bill for $60. They are saying that after all is said and done in reviewing my account, I owe them $60.00. How can I owe $60 after a 0 balance from a gift carded balance? Oh, by the way, they said they never sent the gift card which clearly says DirecTV on it. DirecTV now is saying my Credit will be severely affected if I don’t pay the $60.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

I contacted DISH NETWORK to install in my retirement home in Arizona and was promised $300.00 Gift Card if I contracted with them. After 2 1/2 months and over 6 phone calls and several representatives I am no closer to receiving my promised $300 gift card than when I started. STAY AWAY FROM DISH NETWORK. They will give you the runaround for weeks to months in hopes that you will give up and go away. This is 100% TRUE. THEY WILL NOT HELP YOU. DO NOT FALL FOR THE GIFT CARD FRAUD.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

To whom it may concern, I am writing this to describe an experience with the DirecTV side of the company. I have had my AT&T cell service for over 15 years with minimal issue and my DirecTV for about 8 years. My problems started about 2 years ago when I upgraded my equipment to 4k. The receiver in my living room never quite worked right. I would have to turn the TV on and off 4-5 time before the signal would work with the TV and I could watch it. So fast forward 2 years of watching TV with this problem and I did make calls for help in between and signal were resent signals and that would help for a few days and then back to the issue every time I turn on the TV.

About month or so ago I call and say “switch the box and please see if that helps” so I am then told that I don’t have an insurance plan and I have to have the tech come out and switch the box and it would cost $99 for the visit. So after back and forth I say ”I’m all set and I would like to cancel my service”. A couple of day go buy and I get a call from retention dept. and I explain the story and I’m told will have someone come out and take a look to see if we can fix it at no charge to me. Not only that he gives me a couple of discounts on programming and signs me up to new 2 year contract which I was reluctant to do. Tech comes out and is at my house for 15 minutes and switches the box and the problem is not fixed. Tells me to buy a new TV and leaves. “This is when it gets really bad” so I go upstairs with my children to watch a show and put them down for the night. 3 and 5 years old.

The receiver upstairs says something along the lines of call the phone number on the screen to have receiver set up, so I do. 2 ½ later on the phone of reading numbers on the box they tell they don’t have this receiver listed on my account and response is “well I’ve been using it for 2 years since you guys came and installed for the 4k upgrade.” I had no TV upstairs and one still not working correctly down stairs. It took 6 days for the signal to reset the box and work and 6-7 hours of very painful phone calls to explain the same problem over to different people and I lost my patience days ago. Now I open my bill a couple of days and see the $99 charge so I call and explain everything and ask them to check the notes in the system because I told each person I spoke to put in proper notes for this exact reason.” THERE ARE NONE. SHOCKING.” I’m offered $25 for my trouble.

I was also offered a credit for my TV not working for 6 days that I was also told I would not receive and could sense the condescending tone in the voice of the person I was pleading with. So at this point I tell her to cancel my service and then I’m told there will be a $273 cancelation fee for the new contract, so I’m paying $373 in fees I shouldn’t have to plus the bill. I do not know if you want to call me to go over this in detail but this has been a mental drain on me and I’m just shocked that they are so willing to throw away my business after all these years. I could explain better on the phone but please respond either way just so I know that this was received. I can be reached directly ** which is my AT&T. I’m very to just going to Verizon and getting apple TV or sling because there are a lot cheaper ways to watch TV out there. My email address is **. Thank you for taking the time to read this..

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

My service was cancelled without my permission and now I am forced to sign back up at a higher rate and without the outdoor network I had up till 12:00 am. Now not only do I have to pay a higher rate but I can't even have the one channel that we actually watch! To have that channel I would have to pay double of what I did yesterday! I am not happy. I did not authorize cancelling my service!!!!

DIRECTV expert review by ConsumerAffairs

With more than 39 million customers, DIRECTV is one of the largest providers of paid TV services. The company is headquartered in El Segundo, California, and it provides programming to customers through satellite transmissions.

• Exceptional customer service: The company is rated #1 in customer service compared to other cable and satellite TV providers, according to the American Customer Satisfaction Index.

• Never miss a game: The NFL Sunday Ticket ensures all subscribers can watch out-of-market games.

• Expansive HD catalog: DIRECTV has 195 HD channels, including AMC HD, ABC Family HD, Hallmark Channel HD, among many, many others.

• Record from any television: DIRECTV service comes with an HD Genie that records shows from up to eight televisions throughout a home or office.

• Watch from anywhere: Customers can enjoy family favorites and recorded shows using a mobile device with an Internet connection.

• Best for: Television fans who watch a range of programs and customers with special interests.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs