toll free
Call now for more information

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews

I have nothing but high praise for everyone involved in providing me with DIRECTV usage. That includes the person I spoke with on the phone, as well as the technician who installed. Although I was not person who was present during installation, I can say that the person who was, Randy **, told me that the technician was proficient and professional in all phases of the installation. We could not be happier with all phases DIRECTV, from the person who I initially spoke with, the technician who installed, and the final product!!!

So far there are no problems. Installation was on 2/27/16. The picture is clearer than U-Verse and I like the remote. The installer was personable and thorough in being sure I knew how to operate the functions.

I sincerely appreciate the patience in handling my questions. This is a new experience for me. Before calling, I had a sense of frustration. Afterward, I felt relieved. Thanks for the super effort.

My family and I decided to swap services from our current provider of internet and TV services to DIRECTV. It was sold to us as a package deal. We had many problems from only being able to use your service in 3 out 5 rooms to watch TV. Extremely poor customer support. Internet extremely poor. Lost signal almost every other day. TV freezing in the middle of shows no matter the weather. Now since we completed early termination we received two separate bills. I called to get a all-inclusive price to cancel services and was given a price. Now again as I stated two separate bills. This is to be expected due to all of the problems and support we have had. Your promise of positive satisfaction is false. I strongly suggest to anyone who considers due to being cheaper don't. Work with your current provider and stay.

We have had nothing but problems trying to get answers for the changing amounts of the bills. Every person has a different story. I understand that there was confusion when we moved to Idaho from California - we told DirecTV we would continue service in Idaho, but when we cancelled our AT&T phone and internet, they assumed we were cancelling DirecTV as well. We were re-instated but lost our 12 month discount. When I called to ask why, it was because we moved and we would have to pay the regular price for that month but the next month, they would let us continue the original discount for the remaining months of the original 12... Does this make sense? Why should we not get the discount for all 12 months? The next bill came with the discount but with additional charges for services we did not order... Do employees get bonuses for signing up customers for extra services?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DIRECTV?

I place an order for DirecTV through CenturyLink. When I received the email confirmation the price was double what was quoted to me. The DirecTV customer service rep helped explain the price quoted to me was not correct and why. So I am still going to have DirecTV installed only because she did such a great job helping out with the issue.

Thank you DirecTV for making me missing my football game today! You only allow my area to have California local channels which was not playing my game. The NFL ticket had it blacked out because according to them I guess I had it as a local channel through Colorado. Well I didn't!! Here I am paying money to watch a game that I can't. Then when I call customer service I'm told my area only can receive California locals and I'm just ** out of luck regarding the loss of watching black out games that are playing on Denver locals. I think you need to look at some changes in your set up. I will be doing some serious reconsideration on if I'll be keeping your services next year. Be warned to those of you looking to get DirecTV!!

Not sure how DirecTV was before being acquired by AT&T, but it beats paying cable high prices. I have had a few issues with billing but as long as you stay on top of your bills you will not experience anything too negative. Picture is fantastic and storm outages haven't been as bad as I always worried.

I ordered DirecTV last week and so far have been completely satisfied with my experience with the company. The lady I spoke to was friendly, accommodating, and told me that since I was a loyal AT&T customer that I just needed to call AT&T and they would take 10 dollars off my bill every month for having both services. AT&T recently bought DirecTV and they were having a promotion. So today I got on my AT&T app and started to inquire about the discount on chat. I was sent to a DirecTV person to chat with about the inquiry.

After 40 minutes of them looking up my account information and telling them my inquiry I was told that the promotion I was told about expired in July of 2016 and that they did not do that anymore. I explained what I was told and asked if there was anything they could do. I was kicked off the app and out of the chat at 50 minutes. So as I was unable to reach an answer to my inquiry I called AT&T. The first person I spoke to told me the same thing. The promotion had expired. I told them I understood that, but that their salesperson is still telling people that they should expect a discount. I was told I should expect 10 dollars off my bill and if there was anyone I could speak to about it. The man was pleasant enough but just kept saying that this wasn't his fault right? I told him no it was not and no I didn't want to hear about any other promotions they were having. He transferred me to their "customer service quality department".

So I waited 8 minutes on hold to talk to another man who sounded annoyed when he answered the phone. I explained the situation. He told me that there wasnt anything they could do. He told me that the promotion had ended and they would not honor what the salesperson had told me. I told him I was very disappointed. As an AT&T customer for 3 years it was the first time I felt very let down by the company. He kept cutting out like he was asking for advice from another person or blocking the sound so he could say mean things about me. He told me that there wasn't a thing they could do. Their customer service quality department needs some work on what quality customer service sounds like.

This is really directed at the corporate office. The first thing that irritated me about DirecTV was them not reusing equipment I already paid for. I don't think I should have to pay to have new equipment installed when I had that done at the place I recently moved from. Just another way to nickel and dime you. To top it all off when everything was said and done they said they would ship boxes to me so I could ship equipment back to them so they wouldn't charge me because God forbid I turn in the equipment to the DirecTV office in the city I moved to. Not to mention I was on the phone with several representatives prior to my move and not one of them said I had to turn it in to the office I received it from.

I called several times to see where the boxes were and was told each time they were on their way. Right. They supposedly sent out Fedex boxes that never arrived and they ended up automatically taking the funds out of my account every chance they got so when my account was at $0 and there had been 7 failed attempts at charging my account my bank froze my account. Thank you DirecTV. I will never do business with you again nor will I ever recommend you to anyone else.

Home TV. I signed up a year ago. After being lied to about U-verse not being in my area, I was pushed towards DirecTV sat services. They insisted they purchase of sat TV. Not only does sat TV lose connectivity during rain, many times when I try to stream TV through the ATT Internet I get errors saying it can't buffer the video and Internet bandwidth is too slow. I must add that I'm a network engineer and have configured Quality of Service and Class of Service in Multimedia networks. I, unfortunately signed a two-year agreement. Now, the cost has gone up almost $100. If DirecTV looks or even cares about user reviews, they should. I will definitely cancel DirecTV after the contract is over and switch back to local Cable.

Spent 2 hours 23 minutes trying to get service for a 2nd house. Only need service there for a year for employment purposes. Only way to do this was to sign a 2-year contract with them. Explained several times only needed it for a year, transferred to 3 different representatives during the call, said they have a solution only to be back to square 1. Whole day spent with this. Was a happy customer for 13 years, they didn't care about that and just kept transferring me. Still waiting for a supervisor to call me back, that was 6 hours ago. Guess they lost my number. I look forward to cancelling my service when the contract is up. Really a shame, clearly the merge with AT&T is not working well for them.

If I could give negative stars I would!! DIRECT TV has lied to me and is wrongly charging me over 300$ that I will dispute.

I had a two year contract with DIRECT TV and after one year I had to move to a different apartment. A technician came to my new apartment and told me that he would not be able to install the Dish and so he spoke to his supervisor who said that since it was a line of sight issue that my account was cancelled and the cancellation fee of 300$ was waived. Since that time I was in the hospital for three weeks and could not call to confirm the cancellation.

I just spoke to the customer service for DIRECT TV and spoke to Richard employee ID #AQ4005 who was sarcastic and rude and belittling. He said that they would still charge me for cancellation fee and for the entire month since the technician came out because the technician DID NOT WRITE ANY NOTES. He said that they have no idea who the technician even is???? I asked them how they don't have any record of what technician came to my house in order to resolve an issue? How do they keep track of who the technician's are in case they steal something? They said they cannot find out who the technician is and that they cannot help me with the cancellation fee or the month that I have not been using service,
Richard was the most unaccommodating customer service agent and should not be a supervisor on the floor as the man I talked to before him offered to waive the monthly fee.

Richard is a sad example of one of DIRECT TV's employees while DIRECT TV is already a sad example of a television company.

The worst part is that had someone offered me AT&T services instead of DIRECT TV or had acted like they cared about the situation instead of antagonizing me while I tried to resolve this issue then they would have redeemed themselves but obviously DIRECT TV does not train their employees to proper process.

DIRECT TV does not keep accurate notes of what transpires between technicians and customers and because of DIRECT TV's own fault in training their technician I am being penalized and their customer service's attitude is to RAPE THEIR CUSTOMERS OUT OF EVERY DOLLAR. They are the most unprofessional service I have ever dealt with.

I called DIRECTV to informing them that I was moving. The customer service guy informed about their new internet connection with ATT. I told him I might do it but was undecided since I haven't done any research for internet in the area. Well a few days later I was notified that AT&T had ran my credit score and started an account with them before I ever talked to anyone about it. When I called AT&T about it everyone says that it's not their dept and will transfer me to someone but never to the right one. The problem is still unresolved and ongoing. I don't know who I can't trust DIRECTV or AT&T?

No show for installation and no call. Waited home all day for them not to show up. Had to be on the phone from 5:30 until 9:00 to even find out anything. Really upset right now.

I've been having difficulty with my Genie receiver and TV in my living room. I have been a customer for 2 years and am no longer under contract. I pay a significant amount for my service as well as a rental fee for each piece of equipment, which is also significant. I asked for a new receiver because mine was malfunctioning and was informed that a service technician was the only way to get a new receiver. I was then informed there would be a 50 service charge which I did not agree with. This conversation went on for some time while I was told to take several steps in order to try and fix the receiver I had. I insisted that I had already taken these steps but again they insisted. This ended with them forcing me to reset my entire system to factory settings which erased all my preferences and programming.

I was not happy but was told that I would still need to pay for a call and ended up telling them that I believed what I pay for monthly rental fees should cover them replacing a piece of their malfunctioning equipment. They did not agree. This interaction took over 2 hours and I finally told them to discontinue my service. This got me transferred to a supervisor which ultimately waived the fee and scheduled an appointment. I was at work when they came and had arranged for my son's mother to be at home. The technician called me after being at the house for 10 minutes and told me it was the TV not the box. I spent more time explaining the problem which only made him more convinced that it was not the problem. I asked him to replace the box because I believed it was the problem and it became too much.

We went back and forth and I finally asked him to either replace the box or not and leave the house because I could no longer have this conversation at work. He continued to tell me why he couldn't and we went back and forth until I finally was forced to hang up on him. I got a text from my son's mother 5 minutes later saying that he could replace the box if I bought a service contract or something which would be another monthly charge. I called her and asked her to ask him to leave which created an uncomfortable situation for us which in turn caused turmoil in my home. At this point I called Directv again to terminate my service and was routed around for 30 minutes until I reached a person. This person tried to talk me out of my decision but finally relented and told me the process was started, but she needed to transfer me to another department.

I was transferred and had to explain again to another person the whole ordeal. We are now hours into my work day and I am mentally exhausted in just wanting my service to work. This person was very apologetic and offered me $49 off a month for 12 months which I accepted to avoid the hassle of having to research and decide on another TV provider. After work I started receiving emails informing me that I was entered into a one-year promotional contract that I could not cancel without penalty. I was not asked or informed about being put into a contract and I feel that this was at least dishonest or at most illegal without consent. Needless I am completely dissatisfied with the help that I received and to top it off they mailed me a new box which is all I wanted in the first place.

The man assisted us with the installation. Provided a good effort with installation as well as educating us with the features that we can get with DIRECTV. 10 points for the man.

Everyone I dealt with from the sales representative, issue representative, and installer was very professional and knowledgeable. I am a very satisfied customer at this moment in time. Thank you to all who have helped with this process.

Everything went as scheduled. Everything working so far. I'm not sure which application will work with an Amazon Fire Tablet, so I can use it instead of the remote. It's not accepting my email, account number or password.

I called back in June 2016 to cancel our service. The woman I spoke with was just all around great. She applied discounts to get our bill down and the only reason we even considered staying was because of the track record we have had with DirecTV customer service up until today, September 23, 2016. The reason for my call today was because the woman I spoke with back in June specifically told me to call back in September to renew a discount on our account that will be dropping off because of the contract. She reiterated that they, "direcTV," would keep my bill the same. When I called today, I was immediately transferred to retention where I spoke with "Bill **". He straightforward told me that they don't have any discounts to renew and asked if I would like to go ahead and cancel today at no extra fees.

We have been with DirecTV for 2 years and was specifically reassured by your very own customer service agent only a few months prior exactly what I had to do to make sure nothing on my bill changed. "Bill" had not a care in the world as to what I had been told prior and only had an interest in sending me a box to pack up my equipment to return. This has AT&T written all over it which is exactly what I was afraid of when I heard the 2 were merging. I am just blown away by the conversation I had today compared to everyone else I had spoken with over the course of our contract. If you want to be played with and mislead over and over with constant issues of phone calls made to customer service just like AT&T, then direcTV seems to be molding to be the right fit for you.

After all the good, it's amazing how just one awful experience can ruin it for everyone. Our contract ends on October 11th and you bet we will not be renewing because of the unwillingness to correct our account. I will also make sure all the good words I spread about DirecTV get corrected. I'm beyond disappointed that direcTV is bringing aboard the horrible AT&T customer service too.

Your satisfaction will be short lived. The initial price soon jumps. In our case the monthly fees went from: First month = $21.15. Second month = $38.41. Third through 12th month = $78.00. Beginning of second year =$125.70. There is nowhere this was defined. Cancellation of the 24 month contract is $20.00/month. Payments are deducted automatically from a CC they have on file, without authorization to do that they will add an additional $10/month administrative fee. There is NO chance of changing any of this. Their customer service is like talking to a wall---they simply do not care. Cut your package---no that won't help either--we have the lowest level; even at these prices. Buyer beware---but I am going to give them as much bad press as possible in the hope of causing others to be more prudent and run the other way.

The installation was pretty seamless and the installer pointed out importance of being able to get at the dish in snowy weather. Very good at instructing regarding the remotes and insurance policies. So far so good. I'm sure I'm going to love the service.

The employee was very efficient and knowledgeable in explaining DirecTV and Internet bundle. However, we are still under contract with our current provider. We will check back when our contract is up. We are an AT&T cell phone customer for years.

Well I received a letter from DirecTV stating that a credit inquiry had been obtained about me. I guess I didn't quite understand the letter because I thought it stated that I did not qualify for your service. The service rep was very nice and dispelled my fears and I am very content. Thank you.

I've been a Directv customer for 10 years, directly and indirectly, and the service itself has been great overall. Customer service has been 50/50. It always takes a long time to deal with anything, upgrades, downgrades, or even ordering service. August 2015 I ordered service and bought the GenieGo for $100. I was successful in using it on my tablet for the first month. I watched 3 shows away from my home. Was great. I have not been able to use it since. All kinds of issues from logging into Directv account, to my system recognizing the GenieGo, to the point where Customer Service is asking me if I have a GenieGo, because they think I'm confused with their DVR.

Yes, I bought a GenieGo. It's like taking a $100 dollar bill out of your wallet and lighting it on fire. What a waste that was. The solution, new programming that allows you to directly link your phone or tablet to the DVR to bypass the GenieGo system that obviously failed worldwide. Totally unsuccessful getting any TV content onto my phone, even after hour long service calls. I don't have a lot of time to watch a whole lot of TV at home, so the ability to catch TV shows remotely would have been awesome, but since I never got it to work, paying $150 a month for TV wasn't practical.

I cancelled my entire service on 9/19/2016 and just figured I was better off paying the penalties and being done with the monthly bill. Cancelling actually went smoothly and was the fastest call I've had with them in 10 years, but I also told them my reason for cancelling and to save me the Customer Retention speech. Within 48 hours I'm logging into my account to find my final bill and it says "your service has been disconnected because account is past due!" My next bill isn't even due yet. Really, that is the message you want to send out to a customer/former customer? I have been on autopay since day 1. I called and cancelled. Don't treat me like crap! I would pay extra for Directv to go ** themselves! I don't think I'll ever be their customer again over principle and I won't recommend.

I also had free NFL Sunday with my installation and I did not want to renew that service for what they charge. My complaint is that Directv tells you, when you call in and are waiting forever on the phone, about all of the stuff that you can do and order thru their website. That's great, but you can't cancel anything unless you call. Point is, they make it difficult for customers to downgrade service, which costs them money. I should be able to go into my account online and cancel any channels I want at any time. Big thumbs down!

Between the sales rep, to the installation rep, all around a great experience. Everyone I've spoke with or have had contact with was very professional, knowledgeable, and all around a pleasure to talk to. Keep up the good work! I will be a customer for a long time if things keep going the way they are.

Since signing up for ATT & DirecTV I have had nothing but problems, wrong billing amounts, higher cost than promised, rude customer service reps, service turned off for no reason, and have had to call in EVERY month to speak with someone to make it right. Most frustrating company I have ever dealt with and I will leave as soon as the contract is up. The contract is needed to keep customers, without it everyone would leave within months of service. DO NOT consider going with this service. A true nightmare.

My experience with the phone was it takes a long time to get a person but the rep was very nice and helpful and I hope I enjoy DirecTV if I can get reception here. I was told the agent came to my home but they apparently got lost because I was here all morning so hopefully they will find me to install one week from today.

I spoke with a sales rep about my cell phone, possibly changing to att. I could get no definite answers from Jeremy. I don't know if he didn't know or didn't care. He offered no insight into your plan versus Verizon plan. A little knowledge would have been a great thing. I just resigned with Verizon for 2 years because I could not get a good answer from him. He either needs to be better educated or retrained as a sales rep and communicator.

Ended up not connecting DirecTV (not their fault). Our house is just difficult. Metal roof and stucco and lots of trees, plus rocky land. Unable to put the pole, but those guys really worked hard and tried everything. Very hardworking and informative. Very courteous.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

With more than 39 million customers, DIRECTV is one of the largest providers of paid TV services. The company is headquartered in El Segundo, California, and it provides programming to customers through satellite transmissions.

• Exceptional customer service: The company is rated #1 in customer service compared to other cable and satellite TV providers, according to the American Customer Satisfaction Index.
  • Never miss a game: The NFL Sunday Ticket ensures all subscribers can watch out-of-market games.
  • Expansive HD catalog: DIRECTV has 195 HD channels, including AMC HD, ABC Family HD, Hallmark Channel HD, among many, many others.
  • Record from any television: DIRECTV service comes with an HD Genie that records shows from up to eight televisions throughout a home or office.
  • Watch from anywhere: Customers can enjoy family favorites and recorded shows using a mobile device with an Internet connection.
  • Best for Television fans who watch a range of programs and customers with special interests.

DIRECTV Company Profile