1.70/5
  • 1 star
Based on 1,709 ratings submitted in the last year
Show rating distribution
Discover the right cable & satellite TV provider for you
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

DIRECTV

For years, DIRECTV has been committed to providing the greatest digital television experience to over 37 million customers in both the U.S and Latin America. Every aspect of our company is centered on bringing each customer state-of-the-art service.

We understand that it is important to our customers that they work with a company that respects and understands their wants and needs, which is why DIRECTV’s employees are trained and ready to assist and answer any of your digital television needs. For the #1 satellite TV service in the country, choose DIRECTV.

Find out more Find out more
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 15, 2017

14741 DIRECTV Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

Picture constantly pixelating. Had several service calls. Last one checked everything and replaced box. Now still no better. Heard from all my DIRECTV friends, they have same problem. And they have nerve to raise prices!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I got DirecTV 2 1/2 years ago. After being charged an astronomical amount of money for a bunch of channels I never watched to get two or three maybe four that I did watch, I decided I no longer wanted DirecTV. When I called to cancel I was told I had a two year contract and I had three more months left. I honored the next three months paying for the three channels I watch, and called to cancel when my contract was up. I asked the rep how far I was paid up to when we decided on a disconnect date. He told me the date and I said, "OK, disconnect it on the date I’m paid up to." He said, "OK." I said, "The contract is in full, correct?" He said, "Yes, you are paid up to this date, we will disconnect on this date." I said, "That way I owe you nothing and you owe me nothing" and he laughed and said, “Yes.” So they did disconnect it on that date.

I receive the boxes a couple of weeks after that, load the equipment up, took it to the post office and sent it back. Deal was done, correct? Nope, today I go to the mailbox and I have a collection letter for another month. I never received another bill, I didn’t owe anything else, I covered the contract and they send me to collections for another month. This infuriated me. I called to talk to someone and they tell me, "No, you still had another month left and they billed you for that." I told her the discussion I had with the previous rep and he said everything was done caught up and when they canceled it and they disconnected it I was done. She said, "No, you still owe $84 and whatever change it was." Unbelievable! Not only was I not satisfied with the service they were giving me and the channels I actually got, now I’m stuck with another bill that I don’t owe.

Sad thing is after I hung up I went ahead and paid the stupid thing anyway even though I don’t owe it! I will never use this service again. Everyone be careful. They say one thing, they do another. I use a digital antenna now. Get more channels that I watch than I did with DirecTV and this cost me nothing. I have Netflix and I have Hulu. All way cheaper than DirecTV. No contracts, no way for DirecTV to rape you.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I have had the worst experience ever with DirecTV. I scheduled a service appointment a week out because nothing else was available. Then on the day of the appointment and within the window time of the appointment no one showed up and no one called to inform us that no one would be coming. I called several times during the appointment time being assured someone would be there. But no one showed up. Then when I called the next day and was told there was a technician error and that no one could come. I was asked to reschedule and the only appointment available was after 5 days. So I had no choice but to reschedule. Then on the day of the next scheduled appointment I called and confirmed twice that someone was on the way. AGAIN no one showed up or called. This was crazy in my opinion, for the total lack of regard or respect for the customers time and worth.

Then when I called back the next day after the second missed appointment I was told the appointment was set for 12 noon - 4 pm and that the automated service was called at 12:05 and the appointment was cancelled, and they don't know by whom but "it must have been you"!!! I went ballistic!! I emphasized that I was there the whole time and confirmed several times that the appointment was from 8:00-12:00 and that I never cancelled. l said I have had no TV for weeks and was waiting for a technician to come and fix it all this time and would have never had cancelled. Their response was well it was from 12:00 - 4:00 and we can't see who canceled but it was canceled in the automated service. I cannot believe how disrespectful DTV is of their customers' time. And they cannot even admit guilt. Otherwise it would make them look bad. I really don't know how to resolve this and how such a big company can do this and get away with it.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I had been a DirecTV since the late 1990s and canceled my service when Mike White became CEO and he brought a culture of "tell them what they want to hear and do what we want." Moving into a new house in a rural community without cable service I decided to give DirecTV another try; BIG MISTAKE. First off, I attempted to order online to save $$ including waiving the set-up fee ($35.00) but kept getting an "error" message requiring me to call to finish set-up. Of course I was immediately told that since I "called in for installation I do not qualify for the free set-up."

After talking to several different "customer service agents" (JOKE) I was promised an additional $300 pre-paid Visa card for my "frustration" in lieu of waiving a $35 fee. Nothing was logical but I did ask her if she was being honest, which she stated, “I wouldn't lie to you," and promised me that she would send me an e-mail verifying that I would receive this perk. 24 hrs later and still no e-mail. Called and cancelled my installation. Sad they are such potentially nice individuals (I assume) abide by a immoral and unethical environment.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

We signed up with DIRECTV a little over a year ago with the understanding that we were under a 2 year contract with a fix rate. After the first year your bill will double if you don't bundle your package. They said it was in the contract. Don't remember seeing that and all the salespeople before said it was a two year contract. Now they want me to pay to get out of it. Why should I pay the disconnect fee. They will get all of their stuff back. I will never deal with DIRECTV or AT&T again. Should have stayed with DISH network. Never had problems with them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DIRECTV?

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

At the AT&T store, I switched to DirecTV and was told I had 30 days to try the service, that movies were free, and that I had to get a bundled package, meaning switch my internet and home phone too. I started trying to cancel on day 2 and they kept pushing for me to go 30. They dropped my internet speed 18 mbps and then told me that the movies were only free for 3 months. When I finally couldn’t take the lies and the incompetency and 40 to 50 calls later, I tried to cancel and they then said I only had 24 hours to try the service. They also said it was never meant to be a bundled package with internet, when I was initially told I had no option, and now they want $165 for cable cancellation AND $165 for internet cancellation!! I am fighting them on this. They say they are no longer affiliated with AT&T and can't honor their promises and now have turned me over to a collection bureau! Lies, deceit and incompetency at its best!! Steer clear of these crooks!!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

Called DirecTV 6x in a month. Service tech confirmed signal could not be established at apartment. Was told I would not be charged anything. Called again to cancel they said another tech would need to come out and say no signal could be found and I can cancel without fee. Did that and called to cancel again and after 1/2 hour of repeating myself was transferred to billing that said I would not be charged and would be mailed the credit on my account. Got a bill they subtracted my credit from $200 and said I needed to pay $137.

Again called they played the same games back and forth before telling me to call billing. Called and transferred to billing they gave me the same song and dance as before and said I would be getting an email confirmation showing refund of charges and closed account. I have not received an email. Really angry now, sure hope I do not receive a past due bill. They have wasted many hours for the same issue. This is fraud and hope enough people get together and sue them.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

Don't sign up in a Walmart store... They offer the $200.00 gift card that will be sent 6-8 after installation. It has been over a year and I have spent more time on the phone with managers, sale reps, and specialist that have promised I get my gift card. I am still waiting... for what I have read don't sign up. It is a scam and you have a hard time with customer service and the on demand freezes all the time. I hope this company goes belly up as they do not stand behind their word and they are not worth the switch. JUST DO NOT GO WITH DIRECTV ever.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

Directv sold us the Sunday ticket for 200 dollars and 2 games into the season. They do not have FOX. Any game shown locally is not on the Sunday ticket. Now so far we are 8 weeks into the season and I’ve missed 4 games because DirecTV doesn’t have the games I want to watch. When we signed up FOX was part of our package and now we don’t have and they are blaming FOX instead of providing the channels they sold us. This is just 1 problem we have with DirecTV and we will NEVER deal with them crooked people again, they are a rip-off.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

My idea of a contract is a locked-in contract. With DIRECTV that is not the case. Absolutely hands down the worst. I can't break my contract without being charged hundreds of dollars, but they can raise their bills whenever they feel like it. DIRECTV SHOULD GET RID OF THE CONTRACT IF THEY CAN'T STAND BY THE PRICING THEY PROMOTE! CAN'T WAIT TO CANCEL.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

We had AT&T U-verse (Loved it). Was told by a representative that U-verse was obsolete and they were moving all accounts to DirecTV. I ask specifically if they had fixed the problems they use to have years ago. With the slightest drizzle it would go out. I was assured yes, they make sure to place the satellite to where it does not go out. It could in a bad storm. Ok, then we switched in September. It has been nothing but a hassle ever since. When we turn the TV on there is a black screen for about 2-3 min before the picture is seen. Called last night tried to speak with a representative, she would not listen to me, talked over me and when I ask to speak with a Manager she hung up on me. She called back and said we must have gotten disconnected. No, you hung up on me.

I demanded a manager, she continued speaking over me telling me she would have to send a technician out to check the equipment. I want the equipment gone and the U-verse back. Finally, after 30 mins. she transferred me to a manager. Very nice young man, (Maurice). He was very understanding and agreed to put my U-verse back and not charge a disconnect fee from DirecTV. He could tell I was very angry with the customer service I was provided with prior to him taking over the call. (Totally uncalled for). I have 5 cell phones, Home Phone, Internet and TV. I pay almost a house payment for their services and I just want them to work and speak to someone about problems, (if I have any). DO NOT GET THE DIRECTV PACKAGE! IT SUCKS.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

My past credit history was excellent. I have spent close to $12,000 in 15 years with DirecTV. I moved and had to adjust my spending so I cut back on entertainment. $70 a month is pricey when my only income is disability SSI. $730 is what I have to live on. After rent, utilities, insurance and my phone, leaves little to none. I was working part time to supplement back in Missouri. However I was strapped financially when I moved to Arizona. Took me a year to get steady part time work. My account went default. I could only pay $25 a month. I asked DTV if I could put my account on hold until I paid the big bill. Well there's no loyalty in that company. Not only did they shut me off they added another $500 to my bill.

They said I broke my contract. They shut me off. I will not pay the added money. It shows on my credit report. I don't care. What DirecTV CEO makes in a year it would take me 1000 years to match. Money hungry fat cats. I never missed a bill in 13 years. When I struggle I'm treated like a number. Not a person. I will never use a satellite company again. They don't care about you. All they want is your dollars.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

I have never had such horrible customer service! We are having trouble with our service so I spoke with Max the billing manager. He was completely rude. I asked to speak with his boss since I was not getting anywhere. He got very nasty saying he does not have a boss and hung up on me. We will be switching service and I will never use DirecTV again. Horrible horrible horrible customer service!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

I had a terrible experience where I am not receiving any assistance to get rid of false promotion offer where I lost $360. They claim to investigate and yet their promotion offer is still actively advertised. AT&T/ DIRECTV numbers are **. So discussed with them. They have employees with accents who are scam artist yet still employed by AT&T/ DIRECTV. I am disappointed in where I am in search of another cable service. There is no win here for customers. These employees are rude, aggressive, provides dissatisfactory service. I fear all the time to call in for help and receive a person with strong accents. I need help.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

I'd like to give them 0 stars. I've had DIRECTV at my second home for 10 years. Am now moving into that home permanently so called to get some pricing on upgrades. I spent 2 1/2 + hours being put on hold & being transferred from dept to dept. Each person I spoke with me gave me different info. & pricing for the same plan & equipment. It was obvious to me that these people on the phone had no clue as to what they were talking about. THEN they wanted to charge me upfront for receivers etc.

So I called Dish. They answered the phone immediately (not the 11 min. hold I had w/ DIRECTV). The agent was courteous & knew exactly what he was talking about. The process with Dish took less than 10 minutes and I'm good to go. After 10 years w/ DIRECTV I cancelled my service (should have done it when AT&T bought them.) Oh & the difference in price? DIRECTV $170 mo plus paying $200 each for 3 receivers vs Dish $120, no upfront charge for equipment (and pleasant people to deal with). Bye bye DIRECTV!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

I called to cancel my service and they would not cancel my service to try and collect money after they screwed up my billing. I Called 3 times on 2 days and could not get any satisfaction. They won't cancel so they can try to collect more money they do not deserve.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

On the phone with SIX reps. including 2 "supervisors". All robots asking me to jump over and over through the same hoops to no avail. After TWO HOURS, I'm advised there is a DIRECTV system wide problem with HBO GO.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

Had DIRECTV since April 2017. Started out decent. Then, price ballooned and service bottomed out. All TVs and all channels have pixelation that we are unable to see anything well. Sometimes not at all. Customer service asked if we had protective service agreement or whatever that is! We pay $120/month for service. Service that we do not receive! Why should we pay an extra $8.00 month or $99 for a one-time visit by a technician? Rip off! Do not consider using. We will likely pay to cancel this service and return to another bad company - Comcast. At least we can see the TV shows.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

I have had DirecTV for 2 years. In that time my bill keeps going up. Started at $69.00 a month. Now 121.00 a month. The past week my direct has gone out. First tech came and it worked 24 hours then went out again. Then it took a week for same tech to come back. He fixed it. Less than 24 hours and it's broken again. So I call and get this wait 1 min time nope try 5 min. Then she tells me a tech will be notified within an hour so have to sit and wait another for them to tell me when the next tech can come.

Meanwhile I'm being charged still for services I have not gotten. Except more time on the phone and angry children since cold outside and it's everyone's day off and here we are in silence again. Yes I'm very unpleased with their services when my friend has same internet and DirecTV as I do and still only paying 69. Neither of us can figure out why I asked. They said I'm on bundle package. Well so is she. We moved same time and switched the same time to this so called bundles.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

My local CBS station is blocked!!! Also every other so called channel is a pathetic POS sales for "DO YOU POOP ENOUGH?" or "GET IT HARDER!!!" or "TOYS TO ** WITH!!!" DIRECTV is the worst of the worst. ** DIRECT TV!!! Cannot wait for my ** contract to end!!! I hate you!!!

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

I was a new customer - the AT&T representative talked us into signing up for a basic plan. She mentioned a $35.00 fee for installation. When we received our first bill, it was over $180.00 which included fees for installation. They charged us $99.00 and $35.00 for installation fees. When I called customer service they were rude and had no explanation. I then reviewed online consumer reviews with DIRECTV and now I know why they are rated very low. They are dishonest and have many hidden fees. I cancelled the service with a huge fee. Lesson learned for me. This business is dishonest and full of hidden fees. I will be sharing as much as I can through social media on my experience.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I signed up with a bundle that they never came and set up after a month and even paying for it. They stated that the area was not set up for internet which was the one thing that was missing. 4 months later they keep charging me for services they cannot provide. I feel like I've been robbed of my money by a dishonest company. Every time I call they keep sending me over to someone else and no one wants to help. After multiple attempts to get this issue solved I am still in the same place. Someone taking money from me and not giving me what was promised from the start. If you feel like being robbed almost at gunpoint sign up with this company.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

Bad customer service, charged for packages that I never ordered. Waited hours to talk to customer service, after hours they disconnected your call. Truly a nightmare and ended up paying more and more money, along with the early disconnection fee. However the fee was better than having to deal with their future problems on a monthly basis like those hidden charges.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I have had DIRECTV for 15 years and never had an issue. Ever since AT&T took over it has been a nightmare. I keep getting calls saying my account is past due by almost $400. Freaking out I call the automated system. Says I owe $112 and it's due on the 17th (over a week away). So I request to talk to customer service. The person that I talk to not only keeps cutting me off saying, "Lady if you don't pay we are shutting you off." I finally get him to stop talking and explain that the calls say past due by almost $400. The automated says $112 due by the 17th. He say "Yeah but you need to pay it by the 17th because you are scheduled for disconnect on the 15th." HOW THE HELL DOES THAT WORK!!! Way to go AT&T. You just lost DIRECTV a very loyal customer.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

We have had their service a month and it has not worked from day one. Multiple service techs, countless hours on phone and still does not work. Their equipment is garbage and service is worse. Don't touch them with a 40 foot pole.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

Just like any other provider they’re horrendous. They have people from other countries answering the call so the language barrier is huge, you spend hours on a simple phone call. This is my third call trying to get an envelope or address to send back an old access card, nothing gets resolved. I can’t even access my online account because they changed my password and no one can help me. I’m considering just getting local tv channels. Not worth the money at all.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I called DirecTV over the phone to sign up for services on October 16th, 2017. They ran my credit and determined I would have to pay a one time deposit fee of $199 which I told them I would have to wait a few weeks then because I do not have that money right now. The sales rep told me she would give me a $200 promotional visa gift card if I signed up and paid my deposit. So I agreed to sign up for services. The rep told me to log into DirecTV/redeem to get my gift card after services were installed to use the account number she had given me and that I would receive the gift card in 30 days. When I logged in the website told me that I had nothing to redeem. I called customer care who bounced me back and forth to the rewards department. The rewards department told me they see nothing.

Got back over to customer care where a rep told me that the salesperson who signed me up may have scammed me to make sales and it happens. She apologized. This was unacceptable. I spoke with rewards department again who stated I would need to get a hold of a supervisor in customer care. I was directed back to customer care spoke with Derek a supervisor about the issue and he told me there was nothing he could do for me. He said he couldn't credit my account or even give me anything to compensate for what I was promised by a DirecTV employee. He gave me the address to write the CEO complaint department which will go unanswered. So here I am trying to do all I can to ensure this doesn't happen to some else and to see if someone can help me resolve this issue.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I haven’t have DirecTV service since Friday. Receive an error message 775, my husband call customer service. They kept transferring him to different people. He was on the phone for 5 hours the first day, they schedule a tech to come on Tuesday. Tech was at my house from 10 until 2 still nothing was done. He came the next day on Wednesday from 10 until after 3. The TV work for couple minutes then we got the same message 775. It has been so frustrating for us to be on this situation. We call again and they will send a tech on Friday. It's been whole week without service. Directv is the worst Cable company when it comes to customer service. They don’t know what that word means. I been missing from work for 2 days plus another more because I have to be home when they come. Don’t deserve not even 1 star??? Will never recommend their service.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

It was the most ugly experience with DirecTV. I did sign for Phone, internet and cable, every time I turn the tv on it was just advertisements not any show, not any local channel. It was just people sales. I called every day since it was connected and they never fix it, to the time I get full of them. It was trauma to be in the phone every night for hours for a Month and continue doing because they didn't cancel. I called to cancel AT&T service because DirecTV was horrible, after a Month they didn't cancel but they continue charging for 3 months. From $89.00 a month they sent a bill for $392.65 plus $400.00 cancellation fee. I prefer to paid the $400.00 cancellation fee than be talking with any of them. If anybody like to do any legal lawsuit after being abuse from AT&T and DirecTV. In base they just care clients sign contract and ** us with false service.

They easy collect the $400.00 from clients than provide the right service to keep costumers satisfy. After 3 Months to be talking with customer service that they are outside of United States that they don't care to cheat on service. I do ask to talk to a representative from USA. Sounds they don't have. And the bill continue. If is any attorney who like to represent customers from AT&T and DirecTV. To take them to court. I like to be part of it. Please let's keep all records how many times we call them.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

ANOTHER HORRIBLE DIRECTV SUPPORT EXPERIENCE. I don't even know why I am still bothering with calling in with the expectation that someone can solve the problem I have and need assistance with. Every time I call it is the same thing: nobody knows how to solve a problem and nobody cares either. Pass the buck, switch this "idiot" to someone else who can try to do something. Unbelievable. But make sure he pays his bill and is current. If anyone at all wants to listen to my concerns, feel free to get in touch with me. You know where to find me. At this point I am so fed up with incompetency and ineptness, it is not even funny anymore. IT STOPPED BEING FUNNY AFTER 90+ MINUTES ON THE PHONE WITH DIRECTV. Is the problem solved? No, why should it. Didn't even get close... I guess the only choice I have is to watch Netflix instead of this.

DIRECTV Company Information