Looking for a TV service provider?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

2.83/5
Based on 4,720 ratings submitted in the last year

DIRECTV

For years, DIRECTV has been committed to providing the greatest digital television experience to over 37 million customers in both the U.S and Latin America. Every aspect of our company is centered on bringing each customer state-of-the-art service.

We understand that it is important to our customers that they work with a company that respects and understands their wants and needs, which is why DIRECTV’s employees are trained and ready to assist and answer any of your digital television needs. For the #1 satellite TV service in the country, choose DIRECTV.

View More View More

DIRECTV Reviews

Original review: Aug. 23, 2019

Looking for a better TV/internet/phone service about 8 months he ago, I did a lot of research and finally decided to try AT&T DirecTV. From the very beginning, signing on, installation of equipment, and answering any question I had, the service I received was outstanding, thorough and complete. The cost was almost half of my past cable company. The second year was to go up some and this was understood. However, when I called to see if I could bring the cost down a little, AT&T without hesitation actually reduced the cost from the first year. All companies might do well to look at the management of AT&T. They care and are definitely client-oriented. They have worked hard to earned my loyalty and have succeeded.

Original review: April 12, 2019

We’ve been a customer for years. The prices goes up but, we’ve been able to contact them to get the price adjusted without losing services we wanted to keep. Today, I bought a new tv for my husband and he wanted to add 4K to our plan. I called and they told me we need to update our box and it would cost 399.00. So...I told them no thank you because that’s outrageous! We’ve had these boxes for three years. Anyway, I hung up disappointed. About half an hour later a manager called me. She said the representative I spoke to brought the situation to her attention and, after reviewing our account, they would like to offer us the upgraded equipment at no charge. We scheduled the installation date. I was honestly so surprised. Directv isn’t known for great service and we have had our ups and downs with them but, this went over and above. It was refreshing and so appreciated.

Get expert buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 3, 2019

I love DirecTV, I actually read the fine print no one reads, the price advertised online is a special price eg, promo price 35/mo reg price 81. So price reverts to normal after deal if you pay your bill on time and keep the other things you need to keep the deal like auto bill pay and paperless. First late payment you lose specials. If you read the terms and conditions and the fine print there is no surprises. Also if you read the bill it is very detailed.

On signal I love it I had a storm blow through I had no signal interruption. I dont know why people say it's bad in a storm. I have never needed to call customer service. The self care portal through the website is wonderful. I've only had to use it twice but I fixed my issue myself and I like that. The service is great if you pay attention to customer agreement, your bill, and the fine print when you sign up. And of course it's expensive. It's the best one out there, if you cant deal with normal price being high you get good service.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

WE had called in a few times about getting a wire that we needed for our older T.v. and were sent 4 wrong wires by 4 different agents. And then the 5th time we called and we Got the greatest Customer service rep. She knew exactly what cable we were talking about and she sent it to use and we got it earlier than what she said that we would but we wanted to give her a great review. I give her all 10's. She did a great job. She was fast to answer the questions that we had and was able to pin point exactly what we needed so If her boss is able to see this you should give her something very nice. She stated that she had worked at the customer service for a long time. I wish I would have gotten her employee number so they would know who I was talking about. She is a great person. Thank you very much.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Superb image and sound quality. But the recent "upgrade" for the onscreen display and selection process is quirky at best and much harder to use than the previous displays. The hand-held controller is frequently slow to respond, entries are hit and miss, and some erroneous screens come up (e.g., when deleting a show from the DVR queue, the screen will often select another show altogether). Also, there are recurrent periods of screen drop-outs not related to weather or dish obstructions. Overall, the DirecTV OS is now painfully complex to use. And finally, it is very difficult to determine the actual channel line up for the bare "Family Plan" and to set up a default "Favorite Channels" selection list. Nothing is on the website for this plan. Browser searches return some lineup lists, but they are inaccurate. I still do not know what channels are actually included in the "Family Plan."

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DIRECTV?

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

Customer service representatives that apparently do not know what they are talking about give promises to customers which are false and customers are made liable. Love watching NFL, however do NOT recommend DirecTv. I have been a customer for 5 years and up until this past year put up with the subpar customer service but have reached my limit. I hate to write a bad review for any company but felt I needed to write this one. If you want to be lied to and badgered monthly on the phone to add more services, try Directv.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2019

I was a DirecTv customer for 22 years. I recently was in the process of moving and they failed to show up for the appointment. As the window was closing I called to check the status of the appointment and they stated that they were overwhelmed with appointments and could not come out for another week and a half. I contacted both customer service, followed by customer retention, neither could assist. When I told them that if they could not find a solution to this issue I would be forced to look elsewhere they seemed disinterested, I canceled my service and within 5 minutes my signal was turned off. I called Dish Network and at 8 am the next morning there installer was onsite. I ended up with a better package and a veteran bonus group of channels at a price roughly 2/3rds of what I had been paying. AT&T took a struggling outfit and finished it off...

Original review: Nov. 21, 2019

After promotion period expired my bill jumped to $124 for the next month. I then effected a change dropping the premium movie channels to a basic plan. Additionally equipment charges fees were adjusted to bring current and future charges to $55.49 a month for one converter. The next month they bumped up the charge to $59.77 followed by $74.73 the next month. I was promised, at the time of the down grade, that future fees would not exceed $60 through the term of my obligation 12 months in the future. It appears the CEO Randall Stephenson can't live on the 28.7 million in compensation he received in 2018.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

I switched to Directv because my Prism costs we continuing to rise almost every month. The technician that did the installing was great but once I started having issues with my wireless genie mini. Had to reset ALL of my wireless equipment several times before the genie would recognize my network. I called several times and the tech support suggested I hardwire my genie! The whole point of the genie was to NOT have to install network cables within house. After going through that for several months I chose to discontinue the second room and wanted to return the equipment. After over a week of no return label I called AGAIN. After having the hardest time understanding the support person and 20 minutes later I was FINALLY pointed to website to process a label.

So these are the many reasons I will discontinue service.:

- The worst web page to contact for support; no email or chat available so you are forced to call; takes time and can't understand the support.
- Equipment is unreliable.

- No way to provide feedback to them.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

DirecTV could not provide service at a new address and told me they had to cancel the service and the contract. Without my knowledge, they started billing me again but I had no idea because the bills went to the old house. This ultimately caused my phone to be cut off while in the middle of the bush in Jamaica (using phone for mapping) as I had a huge overdue bill associated with my phone account. It then took 2 weeks and literally 50 plus hours on the phone and an official complaint to the FCC who finally got someone to contact me with authority. Them overages were eventually credited but not fully and we were offered a 150.00 gift card for the many hours and inconvenience but we never received that either. This company's track record of abusing customers is not a good one (just read all the reviews) and they should not be allowed to operate!

DIRECTV expert review by ConsumerAffairs

With more than 39 million customers, DIRECTV is one of the largest providers of paid TV services. The company is headquartered in El Segundo, California, and it provides programming to customers through satellite transmissions.

• Exceptional customer service: The company is rated #1 in customer service compared to other cable and satellite TV providers, according to the American Customer Satisfaction Index.

• Never miss a game: The NFL Sunday Ticket ensures all subscribers can watch out-of-market games.

• Expansive HD catalog: DIRECTV has 195 HD channels, including AMC HD, ABC Family HD, Hallmark Channel HD, among many, many others.

• Record from any television: DIRECTV service comes with an HD Genie that records shows from up to eight televisions throughout a home or office.

• Watch from anywhere: Customers can enjoy family favorites and recorded shows using a mobile device with an Internet connection.

• Best for: Television fans who watch a range of programs and customers with special interests.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs