1.36/5
Based on 1,464 ratings submitted in the last year

DIRECTV

For years, DIRECTV has been committed to providing the greatest digital television experience to over 37 million customers in both the U.S and Latin America. Every aspect of our company is centered on bringing each customer state-of-the-art service.

We understand that it is important to our customers that they work with a company that respects and understands their wants and needs, which is why DIRECTV’s employees are trained and ready to assist and answer any of your digital television needs. For the #1 satellite TV service in the country, choose DIRECTV.

View More View More

16641 DIRECTV Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 23, 2019

We had a great experience when we had DirecTV UNTIL we decided to disconnect. (Due to cost) It’s been an absolute disaster since then. I’ve talked or chatted with no less than 8 people since Feb and wasted over 3 hours of my life. The sad part is that every person I connected with seemed to take great pleasure in giving me the runaround. Talked with them on 3 separate occasions and last person couldn’t find any notes on previous calls although previous people saw previous calls. I do not owe them $15.73 because they didn’t disconnect my service when they said they would. But likely will have to pay just to get them to leave me alone. I will never use their services again if I have to go TV-less. I’ll soon be disconnecting from their parent company’s cell service too. (AT&T) Thank you for showing me what truly poor customer service looks like.

Original review: March 23, 2019

Wow. Not even 1.5 stars satisfaction for these guys. Terrible. Took me 40 minutes just now to cancel my service. And I was trying to re-up. How does that happen? Because I got asked the same question, by multiple people and decided my time was more valuable than the same old stuff. Ten plus years. ATT has made it worse. Good job all. I can get everything they do cheaper anyway. They finally drove me over the edge to make it happen. Very discouraged that I had to tell the gentleman that I was dealing with at least 50 times I wanted to cancel. Terrible customer service. The worst I have ever dealt with since DirecTV was teamed up with CenturyLink. Too bad. The sad thing is I love DirecTV services. Just quit playing the games. I should not have to call four times a year to maintain my service costs. I called to re-up my services! And then cancelled! Going the wrong way DirecTV. Good luck with bankruptcy.

Get expert buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Want to claim this page for your business? Learn More
Original review: March 23, 2019

Ever Since AT&T bought them it's gotten worse. They lied on multiple occasions. Lied just to get us to sign up. Got the NFL package but couldn't watch if the game was on channel 5 because they don't have channel 5 now. Then found out they're losing 23 more channels. Our bill doubled at the 1 year mark we were told it would go up but it was way more than we were told. On Demand is AWFUL. You literally can't watch anything on there. Out of a whole season only a few episodes would be available to stream on demand. Or you would have to pay per episode. Dealing with their agents is a nightmare. We talked to three people for them charging us when we weren't suppose to be. All of them said we'd get money back. After three different times we never it back. There's more but you get the idea. Overall I would never recommend. My grandma has them and absolutely hates them as well.

Original review: March 23, 2019

Today, two young gentlemen from Surprise, AZ contracted with DirecTV came to my house and basically talked me into switching over to Direct. In their presentation, and with some questions I specifically asked them, I was told TV would be $35, internet $40, and phone $30.00, making my bill substantially lower than what I was paying DISH ($45 lower); there was no contract; I could bundle my TV, phone and internet; the technician would remove and take the dish, as well as return the equipment to DISH and cancel DISH. There was a call to DirecTV while they were present confirming my choice to hook up DirecTV and to confirm my credit card for the $25.00 charge.

Within minutes of them leaving there was a technician at my door. He spoke politely, he smelled filthy. When the conversation of internet came up, he told me he couldn't help me with that, and that wasn't part of this installation. I voiced my complaint about being told this would be bundled together and he just shrugged his shoulders. I then asked if it would cost me more now. He told me he didn't know but what he knew for sure was TV was $35.00. After completing the installation he had me sign four different items on his phone, one of which was a two year contract. I did sign it but again voiced my complaint that I was told by the representatives there was no contract. After signing, he called DirecTV from my telephone and spoke for awhile then handed me the phone to speak

with customer care and left hurriedly.

During this conversation I was asked if the tech showed me the remote, told me the cost for TV and if he discussed the two-year contract and I answered yes. He asked me if I had any questions and I told him I had a couple issues. One being I was told I could bundle the internet; two, I was told there would be no contract; three, the tech didn't take the receivers or remotes to DISH to be returned but did take the dish. After further discussion, I'm told my TV was not $35 but $47 because I had two TV's, that I would need to contact CenturyLink for the internet and phone and it would be $99 for a tech to come out. He also let me know they won't take any equipment with them or return it. I told the gentleman I was lied to, that the two young men, along with the tech misrepresented DirecTV and I wanted to cancel immediately. He gave me a number to call to cancel.

I had DirecTV for less than an hour. Before calling to cancel, I went out and looked and not only did the tech take my DISH so now I can't even hook it back up, he damaged my propanel on my roof. It took four separate calls explaining my issues four different times. When I requested my $25 back and I wanted DirecTV cancelled and my DISH brought back and put back in place, as well as the equipment. I was told I couldn't have my money back so I requested to talk with a supervisor.

When someone finally came to the phone, I spoke with "Albert" who said he was in Ogden, UT, who again made me repeat myself. He told me I couldn't have my $25 back, that he listened to the calls between me and Customer Service and basically called me a liar saying I was informed of the cost of the TV as being $47 both with the representatives and tech present. I told him that wasn't the case; at no time was that discussed on the phone while the reps were here and only discussed on the phone with me after the tech handed me the phone and left.

I told him I wanted to hear the tapes of the conversations and the reps back here and then we could all see what was said and I wanted the tech back here for the same reason and to return my DISH and take DirecTV's stuff out. Albert said he would send me through email the conversations and get a message to the reps and tech and then continued to argue with me. I told him I wanted his supervisor and he told me he wasn't available and there was no one higher I could talk to and refused to give me any additional numbers or email to call or write. I doubt very much that "Albert" contacted anyone. No one has showed up to return my dish or remove DIRECTV's junk, nor have I received the conversations.

Original review: March 22, 2019

Was told when we installed DirecTV in an RV park in Florida that we could move the service 1 time for free. Was told a second time when we scheduled the move that there would be NO FEES. Lies. Lies. Lies... And worthless customer service. Have spent hours... Hours on the phone trying to get the fees removed from my bill... Transferred several times to a supervisor... Worthless. DO NOT SIGN UP FOR DIRECTV. USE ANYTHING ELSE BUT DIRECTV. Most customer service reps do not even speak English. And they continually ask you to hold "while we check your account". I would give them a negative million stars if the system would allow it. I ended up paying the fee just to keep from stressing over this. If you're thinking about DirecTV... DON'T. Run. Run. Run. Buy a DVD!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DIRECTV?

Original review: March 22, 2019

Joined DirecTV to watch NFL football. Football was good. Needed to transfer account as I was moving apartments. Was told that a fee would be waived for moving accounts from one location to another. Of course it wasn’t waived, unbeknownst to me. Spent 12 hours on the phone with 7 different representatives over the course of 4 months. Spoke to two “supervisors” who guaranteed the fee was removed and to not worry. 4 months later still receiving emails/ bills to pay the fee. Finally pay the fee because it’s unhealthy to keep maintaining this much anger and resentment towards a company who are all liars and scumbags. Never sign up for DirecTV. I’ve been told their employees only work for direct tv because they’ve been fired from all other jobs. Must be the case because they don’t appear to have functional brains. Would give DirecTV a Negative Quadrillion stars if I could. Run. Run far away. Don’t look back or you might turn to stone.

Original review: March 22, 2019

I was having issues with my older DVR. I called about upgrading it since I noticed in an email they were offering upgraded DVRs. I was assured by the rep that my bill would remain the same multiple times. Also received an email stating my bill would remain the same. Now my 1st bill comes & it went up $15. I called questioning it & was told this DVR is an additional $15 per month. &, "Oh well sorry." LIES. DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING THEY TELL YOU! I have had DirecTV for years but since AT&T took over it is TERRIBLE. Hard to communicate with Overseas call center not in US like before ATT took over. Dish Network here I come.

Original review: March 22, 2019

I contacted them inquiring about an invoice I received higher than my previous ones. They said I had added a new service but I hadn’t requested any new service or equipment, they transferred me to 4 different people. None of them could figure out anything. After one hour and 29 minutes on the phone I gave up on them and had the service canceled. Of course they charged me a penalty for canceling a service I don’t use or requested. This is a terrible company.

Original review: March 22, 2019

I called DirectTV to MOVE my service to another location that I'm moving to. When they pulled up the address, I was told that NO SERVICE is located in my new area. I asked if I would be charge an early cancellation fee and they said no because I was NOT under a contract since I had been with them for more than 2 years AND there was no service in my new area. LIES!!! They charged me $100 for the early termination fee.

I called to dispute the charge and was told they would only refund the $100 if they send a technician to my area. This was fine, but... in order to send a technician to the area I need to set up an entire program of what I want with my services. The area that I moved to extremely remote. Send a technician but I'm not signing up for anything in advance, since I was told you don't have service in the area, I connected with another provider that DOES have service in the area.

Original review: March 21, 2019

Worst experience of life, received a letter in Sept 2018 from DirecTV to upgrade the SD equipment. After that call so many time the dealer provider in the letter but no one response or reply after 4 or 5 attempts and then call DirecTV ten times but no one is helpful. Everyone on phone said the same thing - escalate them your case as high priority and then someone contacted you in 48 hours, but no one contacted from DirecTV in that time frame and it's happens 8 times. One of the worst service never ever recommend to anyone, now I am thinking to file a lawsuit against the DirecTV for losing my business.

Original review: March 21, 2019

I purchased DirecTV Service on February 2nd 2019. My service was installed on February 6th 2019. I had three TVs with installed service. One was the main box and two wireless genies. After a few days all of the TVs were glitching every other moment. I contacted customer service and they schedule a tech to come out to resolve the issue. Well the earliest they had was 7 days. So I confirmed the appointment and received a text message as well. I schedule the far out appointment. So for 7 days we could not watch anything.

The day of installation well no tech arrive. I received a text message stating that I would need to reschedule. I contacted customer service indicating to them that my appointment did not show. They mentioned they did not see a service in the queue. Finally a person shows up on February 23rd and reviewed the equipment. He adjusted our wires and checked and saw what we have been seeing. The tech left and indicated in that he was not able to resolve the issue. So I called every day. I would get transferred and transferred to different departments and request to do troubleshooting on the phone and nada.

I was given issues such as "It's an engineering issue and your ticket has been escalated." ((LIES.)) They resolved the ticket with the same issue not being fixed. After the 28th time calling my billing cycle now has hit to my second month and no service. I received a message on the TV stating Pay Bill to restore service. They mentioned I needed to pay my bill first and then they would reimburse me. I indicated to them why would I pay for service if I have not had service. They said well there is nothing they can do until I pay. It was a 2-year contract. So, basically I got scammed. They didn't fix the issue, they wanted to force me to pay and now I am out of over $1000. Not once did I enjoy a program that didn't freeze every other 2-3 minutes.

Original review: March 21, 2019

After having my service for years with a bundle package, it expired and my bill doubled. Once I notice this I contacted the customer service and ask them to offer me something to keep me around 80 dollars a month or turn the service off, neither one happened and my bill shot up to 300 or so dollars so I called them 2 more times. So I asked them to take care of this bill because they refuse to turn off my service and now deny only partial responsibility, Horrible people and I pray it’s not company wide.

Original review: March 21, 2019

I was told I could have a Pacific cable package for a flat price for 2 year. After 6 months they told me in order to keep the flat rate for the cable service I had to get internet so they change the contract. Unfortunately U-verse is not available in my area. I also have AT&T wireless service and they still charging me the extra 50. I will be leaving DirecTV. I will advise no one to get no service from them. They really need to go out of business. I will be seeing them in court soon.

Original review: March 20, 2019

Been with them for years. Accidentally ordered a PPV movie. Called to let them know immediately to cancel it. They said, "Don't worry. You won't be charged." Well sure enough they did. Called to fix it. They claimed they would credit it. They didn't but instead charged it again! My bill went from 150 to 200 to at one point almost 300 for the same service and package I was on. I called to complain. They reduced it down to a "12 month price of 57 dollars". Well that lasted all of 2 months then my bill goes back up to 148. Called. They said my new price is 119. Well my statement says 148 and my bill date is on the 25th. Well now they took out 50 dollars on the 15th and my bill isn't due until the 25th on auto pay. So how did you take 50? They didn't take 50 "my bank is living to me they said."

If I cancel I have to go somewhere else and return the equipment etc etc etc. What a joke. Been with them for about 3 or 4 years now, have referred multiple people to them and they can't figure it out. They want me to write a letter to corporate. I have emails and recorded phone calls of all the things they said and promised that they claim not to have any record of. They can't even explain the discrepancies between what's on my paper statement, what's in my customer portal, what is in the email coming from them, or what they promised from the notes in their system to the calls they have recorded. This is probably happening with many many people. Out of almost 1500 reviews in the last 12 months they barely have a 1.5 to 2 star rating! This should be a class action suit against another major retail service provider. What a joke!

Original review: March 20, 2019

Had what I thought was a reception issue and was kept being asked to by a maintenance plan. After numerous calls to their horrible overseas call center, got a 2 month free trial for the maintenance plan and had outside wiring issue fixed (which they wired to start with). Tech gave me a local number to call because he has heard numerous similar complaints. Waiting for final 9 out of 24 month commitment to end to get rid of them. Sling + streaming (ROKU in my case) are the way to go.

Original review: March 20, 2019

DirecTV has the WORST customer service that I have personally ever dealt with in my life. They are all idiots and barely speak English. You never get the same person twice and you're lucky if you can get through all the automated prompts. They charged my account 199$ plus tax to move my services from one house to another even though I was an existing customer. The actual "relocate" charge was only 49.99 which was clearly spelled out on the bill, however they falsely charged my account the 199$ fee for installing a new dish which did not happen as a dish was already in place when we moved.

When I called and tried to get this resolved, one person tells me, "No problem. We will take care of this." but because the charge was for more than 200$ with taxes he needed to transfer me to a different department in order for them to remove the fees. The "different" department proceeds to tell me that while they understand that a new dish was NOT installed, the 199$ is a standard fee they charge every customer to move their services. Absolute fraud. I cancelled right away. Had to go to my local store to get them to sift through the account and fix the bill.

I also had to find a new company that would buy out my contract because when we moved and transferred services it renewed my 24 month contract which I was also unaware of. This is a nightmare company and they know it or they wouldn't lock customers into 24 months of HELL with the bill constantly fluctuating and terrible customer service along with terrible TV services when the wind blows.

Original review: March 20, 2019

If you want your bill to change monthly and they beg you to do autopay to get robbed every month. Dont sign up. The worst customer service I've ever dealt with in any professional business at all whatsoever. Very poorly educated people. Bill goes up you get no email, letter in mail, text or anything. They're getting very cocky and it's catching up with them. 3 million people cancelled pay for nonstream cable TV. All these millenials don't watch cable TV anymore. They watch Netflix and Hulu, so good luck with that business strategy to your true, honest, and loyal customers through the years.

You can call and ask to talk to a manager. They won't call back for two days. And if they do call back they know nothing. Very sad. Didn't use to be like this. They use to respect their customers, not anymore. They should thank God every day they combined with AT&T because DirecTV has zero idea how to run a business. They got lucky with NFL package and Time Warner and Spectrum doing even more poor business. Unfortunately we the honest true customer has to pay for that. I mean the worst I've ever been treated in my life. It's 2019, the DirecTV.com sign in hasn't worked for Androids or Samsung phones for OVER SIX MONTHS. You can only sign in on iPhone and computers. Talk about top notch customer appreciation/service.

Original review: March 19, 2019

Since AT&T bought DirecTV the customer service is awful. You can't get through to talk to a real person anymore and when you do one person tells you one thing and the next person the complete opposite. The actual service is a joke for the price. Dropped channels, glitches in the system, channels freezing.

Original review: March 19, 2019

We had DirecTV for nearly 6 years. If it rained, wind blew or any other weather other than sun we lost tv. Each month our bill would come in the amount of $160 to $215 and should have been $69 monthly. It was on auto pay so paid on time. So I would call with account number and set on the phone up to 2 hours a month to get credits. When we finally got it taken care of and had 6 months the correct bill our equipment went out. So 2 weeks without tv and still paying the bill they finally send someone out. We received new equipment but they automatically upgraded us and said we had a new contract and bill doubled. I canceled 2 days later. They said I was paid in advance and keep it for 3 weeks then go to UPS and mail equipment back. 2 months later I’m still fighting that I owe $317.09 plus $200 early cancellation fee. Still getting the run around on this bill.

Original review: March 19, 2019

Now that AT&T has taken over Directv, the customer service SUCKS! I predict a cancellation of my account in the very near future... My satellite TV service will soon be going the way of my phone service -- AWAY from AT&T.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I’ve been a customer of DirecTV for almost 6 years. For the past 2 months I haven’t been able to order a movie through the text messaging service. I follow the prompts and when I get to the end of the prompts it’s says, “Sorry we're unable to validate your request at this time.” I called DirecTV and they said, “Oh we can enable your remote to order from the remote.” She then said that all I would have to do would to connect the receiver to the internet, power down the unit and restart. So I followed the instructions and lo and behold it didn’t work.

About a month and a half later we attempted to order a movie again through text, and it still didn’t work. I called DirecTV again and now they’re telling me that there’s cap on every account of $150.00 dollars. I then told her that well that’s really funny because my bill has always been over $150.00 and we’ve been able to order movies in the past. All I heard was silence and whispering. Finally she put me on hold and after 10 min of being on hold I just hung up. Needless to say that I’m about to change providers. By the way not too happy with the AT&T cell service either.

Original review: March 19, 2019

DirecTV is the worst company I have ever dealt with. My dumb ** is done with them Which I should have done a long time ago. They charged me a fee for upgrading our boxes cause they were old and they said it was a free service but they lied and are trying to charge me with what they call a 1 time fee of 99.00 bucks. What the hell. Then I have been having a bill of 95.20 for 3 months then out of the blue goes to 102.66 and I haven’t changed anything on my plan. Well they can get their crap and shove it where the sun never shines and I hope that anyone who reads this will take it serious. Don’t get fooled by the piece of crap that they are! Save your money and move on. Don’t fall for the B.S. that they give you. Firestick and digital antenna here we come, DirecTV can suck it!!!

Original review: March 19, 2019

I joined DirecTV and was told that I was in a 2-year contract and I would receive a discount for two years plus a $200 Visa prepaid card. When all actuality I was in a 2-year contract which only received one year of discounts. I never got the $200 prepaid Visa card. Once I realized my bill had doubled after a year I contacted DirecTV, explain to them what I was told when I started my service and I was put through to about five different people. The one lady stated that the individual who did my initial setup did not take any notes whatsoever. I then had another gentleman tell me this happens all the time and that people with this problem should be forwarded to him so that he can make it right before they cancel their plan. I had already cancelled my plan and went with Dish when I talk to that gentleman.

I finally got a call from a lady telling me that it says on my work order that my subscription was for 24 months and my discount was for 12 months. I told her that's not what I was told on the phone and she explained to me that if I cannot prove he said that then I am going to get hit with a early termination fee and they are completely in the right. I would never subscribe to a service that I know is going to double their bill in 12 months but make me stick around the whole time. They're very misleading and they genuinely do not care about their customers once you sign up with them.

Original review: March 18, 2019

Do not use DirecTV, I canceled my account at the begging of the month and was still billed for the entire month. So I received a 10th of my service for full price. Customer service refused to help stating there is nothing they would do. The company its self is full of thieves. If I could I would have given them a 0 stars.

Original review: March 18, 2019

Watching several shows on stations including Star Wars Return of the Jedi, commercials were inserted while the movie feed continued causing viewers to miss key moments in shows including the scene where Darth Vader kills the Emperor to save his son, Luke Skywalker. Absolutely a buzz-kill and done where the advertiser's, AT&T in this instance would not be received by viewers negatively.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I have been a DirecTV client for almost 10 yrs. My satellite boxes were becoming obsolete, so I called for an upgrade. The customer service guy, said I qualify for a free upgrade and I asked if there would be extra charges and was told no. When the tech came to my house today, with new system, Genie 2 to install. The tech warned me, the system was having technical issues, but a new software fix was due next month 4/19. Well, the tech could not get the new systems to install. He called his boss, he call ISS, he called everyone. 5 hours of trying to install, things were not right.

Finally, someone said DirecTV had cancelled my service. All I needed to do was approve the new subscription which was 2 yr contract and my plan was increasing $30 per new unit. The rep with customer loyalty was honest and told me someone lied to me and I was getting ripped off. So after a total 7 hours the tech was at my residence, I ended up with no new system and actually only have 1 tv working. I will cancelling my DirecTV tomorrow.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I am not satisfied with DirecTV remotes. I pay for 5 in my house. At any given time me and my children are watching TV. When my children go to their room to watch TV one TV will not work because the remote can only handle supposedly three TVs at one time. I think that's a glitch I need to fix. If you're paying for 5 TVs you should be able to watch 5 TVs at one time.

Original review: March 17, 2019

Before AT&T took over DirecTV, I could change service between 2 states with a simple phone call. Having installed new equipment in one location, AT&T would not allow me to activate service in that location. I spent several hours with AT&T multiple representatives trying to activate, but they kept wanting undecipherable numbers which I didn't understand. So the next day I brought in my IT guy (at an hourly rate) to figure out how to activate the service at this location. He started calling (with multiple wait times) to figure out what was needed.

He went through at least 5 different technicians saying "no problem". The line was dropped at least 4 times requiring going thru the telephone maze once again. Finally one tech said that the 2 states had to be split into 2 different accounts. So another hour to find the right dept. to set up a separate account. They required a credit check even though I've had the account on auto-pay for 16 years. They didn't care. "Our procedure". Since I had a freeze on Equifax CR Union because of the several years ago data breaches, I spent an hour getting it un-freezed for AT&T. At least this time AT&T stayed on the phone while they obtained my credit info (which is at the top).

After more inane questions, I'm told that a technician will come to install the equipment. "But the equipment is already installed... I just need it activated". "Oh, our procedure is to have the technician come and install it." Believe it or not, at this point, I and my IT guy had been on the phone for 5 1/2 hours! So several days later, the technician comes and removes the already installed equipment which I had already paid for and puts in new the same equipment that was already there. Which again costs me. The TV is working now. I wonder what headaches I'll go thru when I return to the other state location? Maybe I should have taken my wife's advice and given up watching TV.

Original review: March 17, 2019

I have a 4K receiver. I thought it was an upgrade but soon found out that the 4K receiver did not work as well as the one I had. It kept freezing! Called many times with negative results. I had two repairmen come to the house and told me there was a software problem with the 4K receiver and there was nothing they could do! I requested that they take back the 4K and give me what I had before. The serviceman told me that if I do that I would automatically generate a new two year contract! That has to be one of the stupidest things I have ever heard! I’m downgrading just to be able to watch TV without it freezing and they want to penalize me! DirecTV has gone to hell since AT&T bought them. BEWARE of their sneaky ways!

Original review: March 16, 2019

I would rate them lower than one but cannot. I have been with them for almost 20 years, always great tv and awesome service. No problems. Until last few years. Finally have had enough and cancelled my service. Few months ago I requested new equipment that I was leasing from them for two years, it never arrived and I never got the credit I was promised. So I called to cancel the service. This after last year my monthly price doubled and they claimed my discounts ran out, had to fight and BBB to reinstate the two year pricing I was promised. Well my service still running and Dish coming to install this morning. I called and they claim that they are unable to disconnect my service until the end of the month... "No way to change the AT&T system" is what I was cited. Crooks and liars they have become. Used to be topnotch. Shame.

DIRECTV expert review by ConsumerAffairs

With more than 39 million customers, DIRECTV is one of the largest providers of paid TV services. The company is headquartered in El Segundo, California, and it provides programming to customers through satellite transmissions.

• Exceptional customer service: The company is rated #1 in customer service compared to other cable and satellite TV providers, according to the American Customer Satisfaction Index.

• Never miss a game: The NFL Sunday Ticket ensures all subscribers can watch out-of-market games.

• Expansive HD catalog: DIRECTV has 195 HD channels, including AMC HD, ABC Family HD, Hallmark Channel HD, among many, many others.

• Record from any television: DIRECTV service comes with an HD Genie that records shows from up to eight televisions throughout a home or office.

• Watch from anywhere: Customers can enjoy family favorites and recorded shows using a mobile device with an Internet connection.

• Best for: Television fans who watch a range of programs and customers with special interests.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs