DIRECTV

For years, DIRECTV has been committed to providing the greatest digital television experience to over 37 million customers in both the U.S and Latin America. Every aspect of our company is centered on bringing each customer state-of-the-art service.

We understand that it is important to our customers that they work with a company that respects and understands their wants and needs, which is why DIRECTV’s employees are trained and ready to assist and answer any of your digital television needs. For the #1 satellite TV service in the country, choose DIRECTV.

Compare Cable & Satellite TV Providers

Research top Cable & Satellite TV Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews

I recently found out that after the ATT take over of DirecTV, all of customer support is now provided In the Philippines. There are some serious language "challenges" with some of their personnel. They can read their screens, but if you need expert technical assistance, they are lacking. I have been a DirecTV customer for several years. Most of us that have had their service for years have acquired the necessary skills to handle basic and some complex problems.

The ATT initiated changes have reduced DirecTV to just another tv service provider. I stayed with them because of their support versus Dish Network which was terrible in comparison. Now they are on an equal playing field. You can't even asked to be transferred to the United States support if you have unresolved issues. There doesn't seem to be any support in the U.S. anymore. Try finding a telephone number to call and get someone to speak to. You will be transferred to,... you guessed it, the Philippines.

You can't even express or ask for assistance from someone in the U.S. They have purposely made themselves untouchable.Their Premier Package has gone from under $100/mo, a few years ago, to $159/month. The equipment costs are additional to that cost. ATT keeps raising the consumer cost and provides less and less support. I am looking at alternatives as I type this. DirecTV was always rated the best between Dish Network and themselves. Now they are equal or worse. I used to highly recommend their offerings. Not anymore. Find the best deal out there and go for it. ATT has ruined this operation. They have become arrogant and unconcerned.

This cable SUCKS! We have been with them for about 2 months and without cable for over 1 month on our 4K box. We've had 2 technicians our. They will to accommodate a regular box with payment to extending our contract. We have to suffer with cable in our living room. Kids confined to their room as well as us. Complained many times. No one will help us without money upfront then they say they will credit our account. BS! We shouldn't have to pay for their error! They NEED to correct. Currently looking for new cable service. Don't fall for their BS. They lie!

My bill with DirecTV has been going up every month, since January 2017. I have called multiple times, each time on the phone for 1 to 1 1/2 hrs, speaking to various representatives. After being put on hold multiple times, to "see what they could do", I was told each time my bill would go back down to it's original January price. I cringe every time I open my bill, because it's a reminder I've been lied to again, when I see a new higher price. I work in customer service & we would never treat our customers this way. We go out of our way to treat our customers with excellent customer service. I have taken names & even printed off chat conversations. I stayed on the line the first time, to give a nice survey for a representative, only to find out at the next bill, the price went up again. I am so angry!

I had issues with my finances. My service was disconnected which I understand but I paid all of the balance but $18. When I received my bill it was $300 and some change for one month. This is crazy. Call customer service and come to find out that they are charging me for 3 months on one bill which of part that I have already paid to have my service reconnected on top of being charged sports channels that I told them I didn't want. Please beware when dealing with DirecTV. Make sure everything is written down but then you still may not get what you were promised and what you paid for. And just another FYI. If your service does get disconnected which you do not get any channels whatsoever you still get charged.

Really bad and bad experience with customers services. If the representative that you speak didn't take notes, they accusing you to lie. Really nightmare when I add DirecTV to my services as trying save money. It was my worst decision. The services are horrible and really, really expensive. If you plug a antenna in your TV you will have more channels for free! I hate the services and customer services and I hate that I have to pay a penalty for cancel this horrible services. Please don't add it to your plan. They promise you the Sun, moon and stars and give to you the worst services ever.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DIRECTV?

Long-time customer (14+ years), pains me to see what happened to this once great company since ATT took over. Called them 6 months ago to switch to a lower plan, wasn't worth the $175/month I was paying and told them I needed it to be closer to $65. No problem, they made the changes... but then I find out that was only a 6-month promotion, bill jumped by 70% at month 7. When I called to see what they could do, basic response was, "Thanks for your 14 years of service... but no, sorry, no more discounts for you".

When I went ahead and canceled, they told me I would have to pay an extra $80 for 'early termination". What?? I've been a customer since 2004, there's no contract. "Oh, but there is, when you switched to the lower plan, you agreed to a new 1-year contract". No I did not, where's the copy of my signed contract? Doesn't matter they don't have what doesn't exist, still charging me. Disgusting. Nice customer service. I'm sure some people who left them have eventually returned. By charging me an $80 exit fee, they have guaranteed I won't be one of those people coming back.

I just discovered that when you call DirecTV customer for assistance they charge you $5.00. I spend between $185.00 and $200.00 per month and they charge me five bucks to call them? I am trying to get what I need from another provider if at all possible. I suspected that when they got bought by AT&T customer service would be the first thing to go. Well it didn't take long.

I had DirecTV for a very, very long time. I had it because of the NFL package so I could watch my team play. After the NFL was obviously ok with the decision to bring back Hank Williams, Jr. and after I just got sick and tired of their tax free status, I decided I wasn't going to get the NFL package this year. I went and attempted to cancel it. I was told I didn't even have the package, so I didn't expect to get charged.

At this point, I was tired of paying almost 3k a year to get the five channels I looked at so I decided to go with streaming. So, I cancelled DirecTV. Lo and behold, I get a bill with auto-renewal for the NFL package. When I called, I was told she could give me a refund, if she wanted to, but didn’t have to. So basically I'm being told that even though I had previously told them I didn't want the NFL package, it was too bad if I wanted a refund.

BUT, they'd give me a refund IF I reconnected DirecTV and low and behold it would only cost me 600.00 a year for what I was already getting. As much as I loved DirecTV despite the cost, that extortion attempt guarantees that I will NEVER use them again!!! AND if they can now lock me in at 600.00 year because I'm choosing to cancel, it means they were overcharging to begin with!!!

AT&T merged with Directv... and since that day their customer service and service are HORRIBLE!!! Just called this morning over a tech issue with the new wireless genie boxes and was met with Donna who apparently hates her job because at no time was she courteous or respectful. I am no longer an authorized person on the account due to the switch over to AT&T (WHAT!!!) and she can't help me... Me: "Well it's just a tech issue that I need to take care of before my husband gets home..." Her: "I'm just asking questions or I'll lose my job..." Me: "Ok so can I get this problem fixed or do I let my husband call again..." Her: "Ma'am you don't need to talk to me that way..." Me: "What way? I just want my receivers to work..." Her: "Well if you stop interrupting me and listen then I can help..." Me: "Can I speak to someone else because we're not on the same page..." Her: "No you can't. You'll talk to me."

Things went south on my part after that because I just wanted to know what her problem was. The call was being recorded, right? We pay about 200.00 a month for service and have for 18 years. I have NEVER been talked to by ANY company the way this person talked to me today. My husband called them about 2 hours ago and put me back on the authorized list and was told that Pam would be calling me immediately to resolve the issue... I'm still waiting. I would like to suggest to anyone who wants this service to look elsewhere... to the old Directv I wish to say that you are truly missed.

We signed up for service in the fall, attempting to do so for our home and for our summer fishing mobile home. From the get go we were mislead. They promised that we could get the equivalent of our current service with TimeWarner (cable, internet, phone) and cable at the trailer without spending much more money. We attempted the install at the primary home in January. They could not do internet service and did not advise us until after the install of cable. They encourage satellite internet for a boat load of money. Luckily TimeWarner took us back the next day! Whew...

In April we were scheduled to open the trailer and had our install. The technician was great! That is the only positive that I have for this company. We then began our dreaded journey with DirecTV (only carrier in the area). Immediately the channels we had signed up for changed. Simple ones like lifetime, food channels, etc. When I called they informed me that the plan had changed and that I would need to sign up for additional channels and of course pay more. Each month since, there have been billing and/or service issues. During one call I canceled our freebie 3 month promo for HBO and Showtime one month early because I was fearful of how they would mess that up.

The gal said I'd get a credit, which I did for the early cancellation. But the following month they took it back and charged me an additional $57 to reverse the credit. When I inquired about the additional charge and encouraged them to listen to previous calls both when I canceled and then again when I called about the lower bill, the manager, Winston, point blank accused me of trying to get something for nothing despite what I was told! The service team is very unprofessional and uncaring. My countdown to cancel this service is on... I can hardly wait! My advice to anyone seeking their service is to turn around and run! Your bill will continue to rise, your channels will be removed and as soon as it rains, your service is gone!

Had a frustrating and time consuming experience with DirecTV customer service when I canceled the current contract. Was asked numerous times why I was unhappy with service and person tried several times to get me to stay with them. I had 2 simple questions about canceling the service that took up about 45 minutes of my time.

Upon signing up with DIRECTV I was assured by them and their technician that the new dishes that they used would have very little service interruptions. Their technician came 4/17 out and mounted the dish to my roof and drilled holes for wires through vinyl siding and home. We noticed over the next few months any wind or rain would cause our service to freeze or black out. I called and scheduled a tech to come out and check the dish. This was 7/17/17. He proceeded to tell me that I do not have a good enough line of sight to have DIRECTV service.

I immediately call in to voice my concerns and after approximately hour of speaking to several different people I was basically told that I have 7 days to cancel their service without penalty, and as far as the dish goes it is now my property. So due to their negligence we have a useless eyesore on our roof which if cause leaks or damage it is now our responsibility and a hole with wires through my house which all could have been avoided if they just advised me in the first place. That they should not install their service in the first place if they could not get a proper line of sight. How are they not held accountable?

I had a billing issue that occurred during when my DirecTV account was suspended. When I called DirecTV I was transferred to the Loyalty Department which I spoke to Kim (ID **). She took the time and effort and went completely out of her way to get my bill taken care of. I appreciate her having great customer service skills and helping me out. She deserves notice on a job well done. :)

Over four months ago changed to DirecTV from U-verse Home Phone, TV, and Internet in order to save money as they advertised. To this day I am paying two separate bills. Calling AT&T to correct this, they say "oh different accounts" and they direct me to DirecTV customer service, which never can stay online, some overseas service and call drops every time. Although they ask what is the best number to call you if we get disconnected, then it disconnects but they never call back??? At the same time, I'm getting double charged and have nowhere to go??? AT&T scamming people like this? Awful.

Installer arrived 2hrs after 4 hour window appointment only to rush through it to "Get to a ballgame." Service was in and out but I thought weather was the issue until it went completely out. They send a repair man that confirmed the installer did a bad (quick way) thus why we had issues. Called Directv to complain... they didn't care in the slightest! I missed 2 days of work and countless days of no service and not even an apology!! I asked for a supervisor... again cutting into my work... only to get hung up on! Will be returning to Dish Network!

July 1, 2017, order new service. Requested 5 DVRs (Not Mini-Genie's!) and 1 Main Genie. Took 1 hr to get make the salesman from overseas understand this! I don't want mini-Genie's because then my system has a single point of failure! That was too much for them to understand. Eventually he understood, Independent DVRs! So if one fails we still have the others! Everyone in family has their own set of recordings independently! So 1 hr later he said, "Yes, my Manager has approved the 1 Genie and 5 Independent DVRs, total cost will be $106.00 (This will cover DVR 5 and DVR 6)." Then he sold me on a Samsung Tablet for only $10 more a month, which would lock my Directv price for 2 years at $113.00 per month. This would include ULTRA package and Latino Package (Which includes all Sports Channels). This would be a 2 year locked in price!

Installation was scheduled for Tue July 11, 2017 between 8 am and 12 pm. I received the Tablet by mail on Friday July 7th, a few before the Satellite and Receiver installation. On Tue July 11th the installation guy Brad, came he had an ATT shirt on. Brad said the installation called for 1 Genie and 5 mini genie's NOT DVRs. He said that there were notes to bring 5 DVRs, but that the cost of the DVR's would be in the hundreds of dollars!

He (Brad) called ATT/DTV support, they of course had no clue, and told me yes, if I wanted 5 DVRs it would be about $800 dollars added fee! WTF! I knew these jerks would sell me on this setup and when they came it would be all incorrect! Wow! So the daytime support had no clue. Since the sales guy was on another department, shift and country! All a bunch of BS! How can large company this size not have a ticketing system that is shared and viewed by anyone anytime!

So that was now the issue. So I happened to record the few minutes where the sales guy confirmed that his manager had approved the 5 DVRs. So I played the recording back to Directv Support. Now, the agent said he did hear it, and now would have to transfer me to another department! Same ole story, another department... No one on this Titanic can make a decision or have the authority to actually make a decision. Seems this is how ATT works. HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE! Directv was much better before ATT Took over!!!

So the Escalation team said that they would have to Escalate this and that they would have to review the recordings of all the conversations with sales that I had from July 1, 2017. That the Escalation team would get back to me in 24 to 48 hrs max time. That was Tue Morning, July 11, 2017. Note, today is Sunday July 16, 2017 and they have no update or status! In fact the worst part is when I called for an update, I spend 25 minutes talking to 2 different agents. Both of course had no idea, no clue, no notes, nothing... WHY! I provided my account and phone. I had to rebuild the wheel, THIS IS WHY SUPPORT SUCKS and IS HORRIBLE!

The only reason I wanted Directv is because of the NFL Sunday ticket. But at this point, I told the agent I just spoke with to NOTATE, that I will be calling by 5 pm tomorrow to CANCEL this whole damn order. He said he would, but I highly doubt it, Seems like whatever ticketing system they have, these agents either have no permissions to add notes, or they are totally useless telemarketers! How sad for these guys. IF I COULD GIVE ZERO STARS I WOULD! PLEASE ALLOW US TO CLICK ZERO STARS! 000 zero stars!

I wish I would have read the reviews. This company is a piece of ** lying ** people. How do you offer a 100 Visa card for signing up and never received it. You all can go to hell. I’m calling the Better Business Bureau ASAP. It's a scam then they lock your ** in to trap you!!! This company needs shut down immediately. No one has any idea what's going on. They just tell you ** to trap you into signing up then they rush you off the phone when you confront them on their mistakes!!! DON’T SIGN UP. It's a SCAM.

Every time it rains the TV shuts down loses signal. This has happened for the seven days this week. The only upside is that we're able to watch pre-recorded programs so I'm going to make sure I have a lot in my catalog because it goes down every single day that it rains and it's going to rain and it's going to snow so I'm planning on not having any TV service for the winter.

I wish I could get out of this contract especially when I asked the people that were out here when they were installing it if it had gotten any better and they said "Oh yeah it barely ever goes down." Well guess what? Every single time it goes down I had a problem connecting to the internet and they refuse flat-out refused to send a technician out to help me. Told me it was my fault and the internet's fault, not their fault, when everything else in the house works fine. Just be aware and if you can stay away from DirecTV and if there's any possible way or any other company out here I am changing immediately because I can't believe how horrible this is. This has not gotten any better since the early 2000.

DO NOT BUY THE PROTECTION PACKAGES FROM DIRECTV. Upon purchasing this package the sales reps at the stores and the literature that they provide lead one to believe that your devices will be protected even encompassing cracked screens. Even more fitting in order to get to the terms and condition they hide it behind a labyrinth of links that deter any user from continuing the search for what was purchased. If anyone has had this same experience I apologize but I think this amount other things is the straw to broke the horses back. I am cancelling my DIRECTV and moving to another service. Thank you for the loyalty and integrity DIRECTV.

Two weeks ago I made an appointment to have someone from DirecTV come to my house to hook up cable for me. I was given a time slot of 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. At a quarter after 1 I call DirecTV to find out when the service person would show up at my door. I was told, I am so sorry but he cannot make it to your home today. So, even though I had given them a two week advance notice to have someone come to my house that person couldn't make it. Talk about being totally incompetent. It's not like I made the request yesterday and expected someone here today. Are you telling me that DirecTV cannot have someone at my door when appointment was scheduled two weeks prior to them coming out? I had to take time out of my busy schedule to have this company hire people who can't get the work done the way they're supposed to do. If I had not shown up on any of my jobs I would have been fired as this person should be.

Customer service and tech support is awful. This company doesn't even deserve a star. 1 1/2 hour phone call three disconnects (hang ups) and I have still gotten nowhere. Even managers can't help. I have been a customer for many years and I am treated this way every time I call for support. This is 2017 and the best DIRECTV can do is 1989 sub par service. If your account says "not activated" simple fix activate it. I feel like I owe them a million dollars and they are holding me hostage. My account balance is zero so wtf DIRECTV. Get your crap together and join us in 2017 where you can do all kinds of neat things to help with customer service. I would even donate my time to come in and help because the yahoos that are there need training and update your system from 1989 to 2017.

Direct TV added services and multiple charges to bill which were never initiated by the user. When we tried to get the charges removed they said they would only credit their mistake to future charges incurred on the account. Since we were disconnecting the account that day, they said a credit would only work if we kept the account open. Customer Service was extremely unhelpful. Asked for place on their web site to file a complaint. Customer Service wouldn't give it out.

The salesman at the ATT store in Gainesville, FL leads you to believe it's a one year contract for the phone, DSL, and basic DTV package. The prices double and more after one year. Most of us have auto bill pay. Not paying much attention to paper mail. Until we get hit with scamming insane late fees and service disconnect fees. Only to learn it's really a two year contract and crazy early cancellation fees. No way I would have agreed to it if knew. Deceptive scumbag bait and switch tactics hiding behind countless pages of legal mumbo jumbo. I have 830 credit score but refuse to pay DTV early cancellation fee. DTV can piss off. I use ole $8/month Netflix. They don't deserve 1 star. Should make negative star option.

Terrible customer service. Customer service agent was literally yelling at me. They extended my contract without my knowledge and when I tried to cancel they pretty much told me "Oh well. Too bad. Now pay this cancellation fee." Tried speaking to a supervisor. They told me the same thing. They can totally extend your contract without telling you if they send you an email after the fact. An email I never saw so they told me I was stuck paying it. Worst customer service experience of my life and I'm not exaggerating. I would rather pay the cancellation fee and never do business with them again. Do not get DirecTV. They will lie to you.

I changed over to Directv from U-Verse because I was tired of my bill raising! I called At&t and asked about current promotions & they recommended Directv! I was against Directv because I didn't want to go back to a satellite. For 2 weeks, I was told the service had improved, they had same channels as U-Verse for so much less and I would be pleased & just give them a chance. I told them no because of the Directv contract & that I hadn't been under contract in years. The salesman said I would be so happy that I wouldn't notice the 2 years. I finally accepted and 1st day, the technician didn't install the basement tv and had to come back next day. Same day the service had an outage!! For 2 weeks, we had outages more than we had service, technician came back again & did some adjustments!! I called in to supervisor & told them I wanted out of service contract because of false advertising & from all the outages!

I voiced how displeased I was & how I had nothing but problems from day 1 & was given adjustment credits. Over the course of 1 year, I have had so many outages every time it rains, when the wind blows, a little snow, if it's not perfect weather we have had outages. I made time to call a technician again & they just told me that with the way the placement of the dish was that it wasn't gonna get better!!

Going forward, had another outage in May of this year & had to have a technician come out, I was told I needed to add a protection plan or I would be charged $99 & so I agreed. I was still billed the $99, it took me 2 months to get it resolved after having to spend 3-4 hours and 5-6 different agents. The customer service that Directv exhibits to its customers is appalling. I have had At&t for 20+years and never had I so much false info given and poor customer service. Run fast away from Directv unless you read every single word of the contract with a fine tooth comb.

I have been a customer for over 10 years. I recently did an upgrade to my equipment. I was told a technician had to install it and that they would have the equipment with them at time of installation. They were supposed to call me within the hour to set up the installation appt. Never received a call. So I checked back with them the next day. I was then told that the equipment was shipped and should be delivered to my house that day. A technician was not needed to install the equipment. I did not make plans to be at home for the equipment delivery as I expected the technician to bring it out. I then asked if the equipment would be protected against theft since I could not be home to receive it. I was then told that I needed a protection plan in case the equipment was stolen. I had been paying $7.99/mo for a protection plan but all of a sudden I didn't have a protection plan on my account. This is the most incompetent service I have ever received.

I responded to a solicitation to subscribe to DirecTV, internet, and phone, based on a fantastic advertised price. Installation was scheduled in two weeks in the latter part of July, which was fine. After reading up on DirecTV I decided to cancel several days later, in mid-July. Let me list the telephone numbers I was given to call: 855-679-4357, 800-531-5000, 800-347-3288, 855-679-4357 (this is a repeat), 800-531-5000 (another repeat), 800-288-2020 (I was assured that this WAS the cancellation phone number. Agent **, a nice, apologetic person, BTW, said it wasn't. Call ** to cancel internet and phone he said. The guy who answered the phone said this wasn't the cancellation phone number.)

During various conversations I was assured that my DirecTV installation was cancelled and then during other conversations I was told it wasn't. Automated phone machines kept asking for an account number, which was not provided on the order response. All the order response gave was account ID, order ID for TV, and order ID for internet, phone. Not one said those numbers could be used to track down the order. I wonder what it takes to get DirecTV or ATT (the internet and phone line provider) to follow through and complete a cancellation order? After the first attempt to "cancel" the installation for DirecTV, I got this weird email based on a telephone number that wasn't given out during the order process. It said nothing about cancellation confirmation. So, just FYI, this is my experience. I think I'll stick with my current provider.

DirecTV is the WORST. ATT also the worst. Want to separate my bundle but they always tell you. "You have to pay your bill." Been with them for almost 10 yrs and they still won't work with you. WILL NEVER EVER RECOMMEND THEM TO ANYONE. Soon as I found another provider I'm sooo done. PS > NEED TO GIVE A CLASS IN CUSTOMER SERVICE FOR YOUR AGENTS.

THIS IS A WARNING TO ALL DIRECTV CUSTOMERS. Do not remain a Directv customer that moves from one state to another. I was lied to by a Directv rep. I was told that if I moved, all I would have to do was to take my receiver, and just pay for a new installation. Okay, no problem. I was also told the bold-faced lie, that in my moving to the new state, that I could keep my current stations (lie). The only thing that might be changed would be my local stations (the truth).

In my move, I lost the MSG station which is significant because I am a NY Knicks fan, not to say that I also lost the local Fox station where I watched my NY Giants games. When I called Directv to find out why I lost not just the MSG network and ALL of my other sports channels with the exception of ESPN, I was told that sports channels were eliminated due to my move. I was then offered a sports package which would have added another $67 to my current package. I disrespectfully declined, and told the new rep that I would plaster Directv's bad business practices every place that I can on the internet. MY Rating: 1 Star.

I was/am very dissatisfied with the issues we had with billing each month. I spent hours on the phone between CenturyLink and DirecTV trying to get my bills corrected. I had canceled checks that were not credited and too many other errors to list. I had to call each month that we had the CenturyLink/DirecTV service. After months of continuing problems, we canceled. Shortly after canceling, my husband, who made the arrangements to cancel, ended up in the hospital after an accident. When the DirecTV box came in the mail to return the equipment, I also included the router which was CenturyLink equipment. When I realized my mistake, I assumed that two companies who share customers and billing would be able to forward or return the equipment. Today I was told that they "dispose" of equipment that is not theirs. So now I have to pay CenturyLink $105.99 for their "unreturned HSI equipment." I am very dissatisfied with the service.

DIRECTV Company Profile