3.05/5
Based on 5,135 ratings submitted in the last year

DIRECTV

For years, DIRECTV has been committed to providing the greatest digital television experience to over 37 million customers in both the U.S and Latin America. Every aspect of our company is centered on bringing each customer state-of-the-art service.

We understand that it is important to our customers that they work with a company that respects and understands their wants and needs, which is why DIRECTV’s employees are trained and ready to assist and answer any of your digital television needs. For the #1 satellite TV service in the country, choose DIRECTV.

View More View More

16721 DIRECTV Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 25, 2019

We've been legacy users of DirecTV for many years, but since AT&T took it over it has been one problem after another. The problems are well documented but customer service is the worse experience ever encountered (that's saying a lot). As of yesterday, they registered a 9.7 BILLION dollar loss due to customers running away from them as fast as possible! Do not be fooled by their con. Programming has diminished while the bill has gone up, service interruption has now become a regular thing, and nothing is ever resolved. DO NOT TRUST THIS COMPANY. You have been warned.

Original review: April 25, 2019

We originally signed on with DirecTV in 1995, when you bought the kit at Radio Shack and installed it yourself. Until AT&T took over it was fantastic service, the only lost signals were due to weather and we loved it. Since AT&T has taken over customer service is at the bottom of the septic tank. We recently scheduled for an equipment upgrade, FOUR appointments were scheduled and no one showed up for any of them.

We canceled and found another service provider, then started receiving bills for the equipment that we had purchased. We finally wrote to AT&T headquarters, then received a call from their problem resolution office which said the problem was solved, the account paid in full. Today, one month later I got a bill from AT&T for the equipment. I've been on the phone for nearly three hours with several transfers, several ten to 15 minutes on hold before another transfer and still the problem is not resolved. There is no way I could recommend DirecTV to anyone with customer service like this.

Get expert buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 24, 2019

My identity was stolen and someone ran up a bill of $703.00 in my name. I didn't realize it was on my credit report til recently. The charges are from 2015. I called them. Told them. They sent me the paperwork. I filled it out and I've been waiting 2 months for it to come off. I called them to ask what the hold up was and they said I need a police report for this cable. Garbage. The police don't have time. They told me. Well this ** company won't remove this off my credit report til I get one. They suck. Don't ever get them. My father had them. Same bill every month then 3 months later every month after it went up and the poor 83 year old sat on the phone for hours 'cause that's how they work.

Original review: April 24, 2019

I received billing for services I did not request and was told different reasons for it until I finally decided to cancel my service. After cancelling my service I continued to get billed for items I did not order. Customer service blamed me as if I did something wrong. They stated I re-ordered and I must have given someone my login detail. I was given scripted responses and told it was resolved several times when nothing was actually resolved. I'm on my 4th call now hoping that someone will resolve it.

Original review: April 24, 2019

This has to be one of the most dishonest and unethical companies that I have ever had the displeasure to work with. I have spent hours and hours on the phone and in the AT&T store to resolve the most basic issues. After 3 hours on the phone today, no one call tell me why my bill increased $30 per month. They added $8 per month for insurance without my knowledge.

I can never get a US based employee - customer service is offshored. I can't understand them and they are just reading from a script. I currently have 2 boxes and one to end service on one. I can't return the box to a store. I have to ship via FedEx. Sadly, I am in a rural area so there is no standard cable. If you have to use DirecTV, good luck. The system works but billing and service is horrible. I strongly recommend that you use a standard hard-wired cable service if you have that option.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DIRECTV?

Original review: April 23, 2019

I was with them for 4 years and never missed a payment. I canceled and they call me every day to resign... My wife sent back 5 out of 6 boxes forgot that the youngest son had one. Instead of calling on this they just bill us and never call, text, email, but they call every day from different numbers. They will tell you that they care, but they don't! WE STAY AWAY!

Original review: April 23, 2019

I have had DIRECTV for 20 years. Their customer service has always been excellent. Since DirecTV was bought by AT&T their customer service is horrible. I had to call then 6 times and each time they asked the same questions and went through the same troubleshooting. The 7th time I called I got a former DirecTV employee. She finally got the issue resolved. Each time I called I had to go over the issue. I asked don't they have notes in my file and they said no. I told the supervisor if I call again and get the same run around I would switch to another provider. Switching to another provider for my house is no big deal but I have DIRECTV in my RV. I spoke with a Dish rep and she was so bad I ask her was she trying not to get me to go with Dish.

Original review: April 23, 2019

We moved and called to cancel our DirecTV service. The phone call took forever but finally the rep agreed and gave me a confirmation number. We continued to receive DirecTV bill thru both Century link and AT&T. Both companies don’t show a record of us canceling. That confirmation number was invalid. I am waiting for a class action suit now. This is a complete scam.

Original review: April 23, 2019

The representative I spoke with while selling me the cable tv only did not tell me that after 1 yr my bill would go up double which is now $167 for only TV for another Whole year. I asked the representative Shirley. "How can I get your equipment back to you and Cancel?" She said my year contract was up. But I'm in a commitment for 2 yrs. She refused to give me any information on sending the equipment back to them. I would never have gotten into such an agreement. Had I been told up front. So Shirley says that I couldn't send them their equipment back 'cause they are gonna charge me for it.

Then after they charge me for the equipment. They would then charge me for the commitment of the 2 yr agreement. Which I never agreed to. Only a fool would knowingly sell their soul to the Devil. She said it was too early for them to accept their equipment back. Well I told Shirley that I would put it on the front porch for any time they like to pick it up. She sarcastically said Ok. I'm have nothing else to say to these scheming LIARS.

Original review: April 22, 2019

I am 72 years old with walking difficulties. My mini Genie is not connecting to my TV. I called after running all of the diagnostics I knew. The auto operator made me do all of the same things again. Once I finally spoke to a real person, she had me do the exact same things again. I walked back and forth, etc etc etc. from Genie to mini Genie with no success. After TWO HOURS, I was informed that all they can do is send me component cables. Although I have a protection policy, I was going to be charged. Finally that was cleared. Now I must wait 3-4 business days to receive component cables I have no idea how to install on a TV on the wall. If you are not 6’ tall, healthy, and tech savvy, don’t use DirecTV.

Original review: April 22, 2019

We had had Directv for years with no complaints. Last week our DVR failed, and they sent us a replacement one. I was told to return the old box. They refuse to send me a label for the box. I have seriously called them 11 times and they still haven't resolved the issue. They say they will charge me for the box but every time I call them, I am told to do something different. Their customer service is TERRIBLE!! I am calling other providers today.

Original review: April 20, 2019

Received a message saying my payment was declined. When I finally got someone to talk to me he said my debit card expired 7 months ago. I had my card and told him it didn't expire for another year and if they show it's been expired for 7 months how were they able to continue taking out payments. He said I don't know. I had to reset my autopay. My payment keeps going up and service goes down. Right now my shows keep freezing up and the tect wants to know what kind of TV I have. Really ready for a change.

Original review: April 20, 2019

After AT&T has taken over, the customer service has gone downhill very much! I have been with DirecTV 15yrs+ and now cannot get decent help on basic change of package, or billing. When we finally get to speak with someone, then ask or another dept. it is as if we do not exist. Our account info is not transferred to them so we have to re-establish ability to get things changed on our account. An hour wasted on 4-5 calls into them & they still don't get it. They repeat the same things over & over as if they didn't hear what we said!

We canceled prem pkg before the free period ended. We were told to pay the lower amount. Then we get a bill for the difference which they confirmed was our balance due now. We asked if this would be deducted from next bill and why it was still a balance if we paid what we were told and canceled in time? Then we're told: "If you pay this amount now it will not be on your next bill." Tried again (3rd or 4th attempt) to get "customer Retention" now 55mins later and was asked to identify self/account again!!! Time for another TV service or rabbit ears!

Original review: April 20, 2019

Called service on 4-18-19 to cancel service as of 4-26-19 as we are moving. Got hard sell on transferring service and not canceling. When I said no they immediately cancelled my service on 4-18. Spent the next 6 hours on the phone trying to get it resolved, got hung up on 3 times, transferred to 8 diff people, given 4 diff phone numbers to call and yet no one could undo their mistake. To date no service has been restored. I will never use AT&T again.

Original review: April 20, 2019

Was having trouble with DirecTV. Was told a technician would be here between 4 & 8 pm. It’s10:23 and no one has showed up or called. Was asking for help online, I got a request to sign up for autopay. REALLY?

Original review: April 19, 2019

My mother and I each have our own accounts and have been with DIRECTV for over 25 years. I have three receivers and more channels, including HBO. She has no movie channels and a lesser package but pays $35 more per month. New customers pay less and get more, so don't be fooled if you are a new customer. We have called and asked for promotions, discounts, the same packages, etc. and are told that what you get depends on the representative you get and the promotions that are available.

We called five times today and got five different answers. Three of those five calls were dropped with no return call. Representatives in the Retention Department who went by the names of "Rose" and her supervisor(?), "Brian" laughed at us, eavesdropped on our personal conversation while we were on hold, and refused to give any discounts. After calling again, we got a $45 discount from a much more professional person. My mother accepted the discount but will be calling Dish Network. It's not worth the hassle, price discrimination, and terrible customer service. As for "Rose" and "Brian," they will get what's coming when DIRECTV is out of business and they are out of jobs.

Original review: April 19, 2019

I have a major billing problem, to which I called a Shirley ** at the office of the ATT President, she had helped me in the past, and she responded by putting another worker on it, but she is lazy. Doesn't get back, lies about calling or trying to get me. It's about the problems of my bill which Shirley put someone on it because it is way out of the agreement. Please direct me to the right place, thank you for your time.

Original review: April 19, 2019

The worst thing I ever did was get DIRECTV. We had Dish TV for 9 years with almost absolutely no problems. Our cell phones are with AT&T and they talked us into switching to DirecTV again. The biggest mistake I have ever made. We constantly do not have any cable. Everything we record has free screens or lost signal. Could not finish recording for the last five days. We have not had any cable. Just the code seven seven one without any weather. Technician won't come until Sunday which means four more days of no cable TV. Three different series that we are watching we have not been able to see any of the episodes. Contract ends in July. I am definitely canceling and we'll never get DIRECTV again as long as I live.

Original review: April 18, 2019

We live in Northwest and winter in AZ. We take DTV transmitters between our two residences, or to our RV. All we normally do is call DTV to change service area so we can get local channels. Today back in NW, took 1 hour 45 minutes and transfers to 5 different representatives just to transfer to local service. Representatives are incompetent and do not speak or understand English! Truly believe service has declined since AT&T took over. we DO NOT recommend DirecTV!

Original review: April 18, 2019

Terrible. Customer service was terrible. When we tried to cancel and return equipment it became a fiasco. Called customer service three different times to send back equipment. Three times they told us they would send us a package to ship it back to them. They never did. I tried to take it back to their store but they refused to take it! Finally went online to see that I had to take it to FedEx myself! Why didn't the Outsourced help just tell me that in the first place?! NEVER AGAIN!

Original review: April 17, 2019

My husband was approached by someone in Walmart selling DirecTV. He was told tv, internet and phone was going to be $106... which was great! They came out and said they could not do the internet or phone.... Ok fine. They said that only Spectrum covered our area. They disconnected our internet to hook up their equipment. Never said anything about it - we found out when Spectrum came to fix it. They used Spectrum's equipment to connect their equipment!!! We ended up cancelling DirecTV and they said it would be 480.00. Let them know the situation and they said that there were no notes!! They didn’t know who sold me the DirecTV or the tech and they couldn’t do anything about it!!! Oh and that the ugly dish would have to stay and I could call a third party to come and take it off!!!

Original review: April 17, 2019

The phone setup is abysmal. Called tech support, this process took 4 attempts (automated service kept redirecting to inactive extensions), was on hold for 32 minutes. Tried from different phone, connected under 5 minutes while the other phone was STILL on hold. Explained issue to tech, unable to solve. Told it was probably an issue with dish or coax, wanted to send a tech. Researched issue online while tech was scheduling, found the channel I had lost was now in a different package. Subscription issue. Asked to be transferred to dept to schedule disconnect, sent to another inactive extension. Called back, canceled my account.

Original review: April 16, 2019

Don't waste your time or money. We had AT&T years ago and left because they were liars and only wanted money and screwed us over. We were DirecTV customers until last week. We used to love them and then they joined up with AT&T. Ever since quality of service, amount paid for service and customer service plummeted hardcore. Do anything and everything you can to avoid this company for any type of service. If that's not possible then record everything they say to you because they will screw you over too...

Original review: April 16, 2019

Dish Network doesnt have HBO and Game of Thrones anymore. Was willing to switch to get DirecTV. Talked to rep. Had program plan all set. Directv said it would be 1st week in May. Told them that was too late and Game of Thrones would about be over, so 'cancel it'. Rep said ''let me look'... aha, have an opening 2 days later for install on April 12th. I said ok then, I will take it. DirecTV the next day said they couldnt do it and cancelled installation. I called them and was mad and they said earliest was 1st week in May again. I said ''CANCEL IT ALL THEN''... DirecTV said they will check and see if they can get me in sooner. Like a dummy, I said "ok''. Bingo, they said they could get me in on the 15th of April, Monday, 4 days later, and we set up a time slot. Said I would get a $100 Visa gift card for my 'troubles'.

Come the 15th, Monday, I check my At&t acct, looking to make sure they were coming, and it says ''I'' cancelled the installation! WHAT!!?? NO CALL OR NOTICE by them. I would have been waiting 4 hours... Why the hell would ''I'' cancel it?? I called again, very upset. 1st rep said ''there isnt an installation time set for the 15th'', ''you sure it isnt the 5th of May as our records show''?? ''YOU SURE''?? NO INFO EVEN IN SYSTEM FOR THE 15TH INSTALL NOW. All info about set up and installation is now erased by them. I hang up.

I call again and different rep says they cancelled it because there wasnt a time slot to do the installation! WHY the hell make appts Directv if you can't keep them and do installation?? I post on internet about very bad service and a AT&T SOCIAL MEDIA TEAM member PM me, asking for info and to contact him. SO HERE WE GO AGAIN. I EXPLAIN the 2 cancelled installations by them and we go thru everything. He gets all, after an hour, and says he can ''see'' how fast he can get me in since he has installation info that the other reps don't have. So we go thru package and prices and I agree, then he says ''the earliest I can get it installed is now the 17th of May," 2 days later than before... I said no, and will not get it, he says let me look and see if I can get you a quicker date tomorrow... hmmmmmm.

Original review: April 15, 2019

We have had DirecTV for over 10 years. 14 days ago our box quit working. I called in and was told that my box was so old it would need to be replaced so they scheduled a technician to come out but not for 5 days. That day my husband stayed home, without pay, waiting. Nothing. No call, no show. I called and they told me 3 different reasons as to why no one showed, none legit.

They rescheduled for 3 days later. Same thing, no call no show. I called again. Got transferred 3 different times and received 4 different reasons as to why no one showed, again nonlegit and one an out and out lie. The last person I got said that I had called and cancelled. By that time I had talked to 2 other people and had been on the phone for 45 minutes, none of them mentioned this bold face lie. I told her it was a lie and that if in fact it said that in there that person should be fired. I told her I was sick of being lied to and sick of waiting around for someone to come and fix my system so to cancel my account. She wanted me to give them one more try. Her lie about me calling in was the last straw. No, I said, cancel my account. That took 25 minutes to just get her to do that much for me, arguing the entire time.

The next day I turned the TV on, to the 1 channel we could watch mind you, the Weather Channel, and lo and behold the service was still on. A few hours later DirecTV called to reschedule my appointment. They called again today twice. I then had to take more time off of work to call them back and insist they cancel my account. This is no way for anyone to be treated.

Original review: April 15, 2019

Lousy slow slow Genie which often shuts down. Overpriced. Only have it because I me and wife aren't fans of the local football teams so only way to watch is with DirecTV. SHAME on NFL and kudos for DirecTV to spend billions on NFL knowing most people would leave their overpriced underperforming service if they could watch what football team they wanted. HATE DirecTV. Makes Comcast look not so bad. RIDICULOUS.

Original review: April 15, 2019

I have been a DirecTV customer since 2002. This Feb., 2018 I upgraded 3 of my TVs to the Genie. The definition is subpar despite having the display set to the higher display setting. The TV display resolution for my kitchen TV which still has my old DirecTV box is great. I have more incidences of the mouth movement & audio being out of sync now with the Genie. When I spoke with a rep. about upgrading to the Genie, not once did the rep tell me I would have to enter into a new 2 yr. contract. I have made several calls requesting a manager and have been on hold so long that the call drops. I have held as long as 49 min. without ever reaching a manager and then the call drops.

Prior to AT&T buying DirecTV, they used to be the best in the industry for service and customer support, now they are the worst. Not to mention, when I call in to DirecTV now, I'm asked by their phone rep. if AT&T is my cell phone provider. No, and they never will be is the answer to that question! I am on hold yet again trying to get through to their customer service.

Original review: April 15, 2019

I have been a Directv customer for over 3 years and have been bundling my service with AT&T phone and high speed internet. At this point I cannot even calculate the number of hours that I have spent on the phone trying to resolve billing issues. It is hands down the worst company I have ever encountered as far as billing and service on the phone. Get ready for lots of unsolicited phone calls trying to trick you into adding channels as well. These companies should be ashamed. All of the support is handled overseas as well. Do yourself a favor and stay FAR away from these companies.

Original review: April 15, 2019

I have been a Directv customer since 2003 and had set up a direct payments every month. I was never late. About 4/12/19 I needed my dish to be secured because of the wind had moved it. I called Directv and they set up a service appointment for me. I get a confirmation email and 3 different text messages reminding me for the time and the day of the appointment. I wait all day and NO ONE SHOWED UP. I called and I was told that the technician was busy and they won’t be able to make it. OKAY. I scheduled a next day appointment. I get an email and 3 text messages to confirm and same f thing NO ONE SHOWED UP AGAIN.

I call and I was told by a supervisor that no one was available to come. OKAY... He scheduled me for the next day and I was promised that a supervisor personally will come to get the Dish fixed. I got the usual email and 3 text messages to confirm. I waited the next day and NO ONE SHOWED UP??? I called and I was told the supervisor was not able to make it. NOW I GOT TO SAY. The services people are not Directv people. They are private contractors. Their manager are people who can barely SPEAK ENGLISH. They get a lots of money from Directv to provide services for the costumes but they DONT. They lie to you and make up stories. I CALL AND DISCONNECTED MY SERVICES AFTER 16 YEARS. I was very disappointed. Never ever get Directv again in ALBANY NY.

Original review: April 14, 2019

I have attempted twice to switch to DirecTV in the last four months. The first time I gave them three weeks to install the dish and all of the boxes. I took off from work the day of install. DirecTV was supposed to show up between 8AM-12PM. By 1 PM I called to see where the tech was. I was told that he should be there within the hour. After two more hours I called again. Again I was told the tech was 20 minutes out. I finally got an email canceling the appointment and rescheduling for the next day. That was not possible since I had to go back to work. So I scrapped the installation altogether.

This past Saturday I decided to try and give it another attempt. I ordered everything online and set up the installation for Monday. I took off Monday so I could be home for the installation. I was just notified that they moved it to Tuesday. I called customer service, and again they gave me the runaround. They disconnected me two times. After an hour on the phone, they told me there was nothing they could do and since I had an issue with Tuesday, they let that appointment go as well. So nothing was available until later in the week. It might be the worst customer service I have ever seen - way to go ATT you're doing a great job.

DIRECTV expert review by ConsumerAffairs

With more than 39 million customers, DIRECTV is one of the largest providers of paid TV services. The company is headquartered in El Segundo, California, and it provides programming to customers through satellite transmissions.

• Exceptional customer service: The company is rated #1 in customer service compared to other cable and satellite TV providers, according to the American Customer Satisfaction Index.

• Never miss a game: The NFL Sunday Ticket ensures all subscribers can watch out-of-market games.

• Expansive HD catalog: DIRECTV has 195 HD channels, including AMC HD, ABC Family HD, Hallmark Channel HD, among many, many others.

• Record from any television: DIRECTV service comes with an HD Genie that records shows from up to eight televisions throughout a home or office.

• Watch from anywhere: Customers can enjoy family favorites and recorded shows using a mobile device with an Internet connection.

• Best for: Television fans who watch a range of programs and customers with special interests.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs