1.4/5 (77 ratings)

About DIRECTV

DIRECTV is a direct broadcast satellite provider that transmits to homes throughout the United States and the Caribbean. There are many different packages to choose from, each offering a variety of features, channels and DVR options. It's important to note that DIRECTV requires a two-year contract, and most customers experience an increase in prices after the first year.

Pros

• Various programming options
  • Easy to relocate with
  • Multiple packages available

Cons

• Costly to cancel
  • Price increases after first year

Bottom Line

DIRECTV is a leader in satellite broadcasting. The company’s services are ideal for people who want a lot of options for TV channels, features and packages.

Top DIRECTV Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I did a lot of research and finally decided to try AT&T DirecTV. From the very beginning, signing on, installation of equipment, and answering any question I had, the service I re...

Verified

We have been with DirecTV for many years and we on occasion will need a DirecTV service tech to help us out. We contacted DirecTV and they sent a Service Tech out to us named Pat ...

DIRECTV packages

DIRECTV has many different channels but understands that customers have very specific wants and needs when it comes to programming options. The company offers a variety of packages with multiple features, channels and DVR options. DIRECTV has six different plans:

• Select: A budget-friendly option with basic channels. Customers can access 155 channels.
  • Choice: A great option for families that has a variety of different program preferences. Customers can access 185 channels.
  • Entertainment: A good choice for sports lovers. Customers can access 160 channels.
  • Xtra: The company’s most popular package. Customers can access 235 channels.
  • Ultimate: Ideal for movie lovers. This comprehensive package gives customers access to 250 channels.
  • Premier: Gives you every option you need for an all-inclusive TV watching experience. Customers can access 330 channels.

DIRECTV has multiple extras and add-ons you can add to your plan. This includes premium channels like HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, The Outdoor Channel, NBA League Pass, NFL Sunday Ticket and DogTV.

DIRECTV prices

The six plans come in at different price points. Installation and DVR hookups are included in your package, but you pay $7 a month and a $99 installation fee if you want additional receivers. There is also a $9.99 a month regional sports fee.

Prices for individual packages are:

• Select: Plans start at $59 a month
  • Choice: Plans start at $69 a month
  • Entertainment: Plans start at $64 a month
  • Xtra: Plans start at $79 a month
  • Ultimate: Plans start at $84 a month
  • Premier: Plans start at $134 a month

While DIRECTV offers great introductory offers, you must sign a two-year contract, and rates increase in the second year. Be sure to ask about second-year pricing before signing a contract. If you want to cancel your plan early, you must pay $20 per month for every month left on the contract.

Other fees to be aware of include a $99 fee when a technician must be dispatched to make repairs. You can put your streaming services on hold until you return home if you’re going on vacation, but there's a $7 a month charge. There is also a $19.95 activation fee.

The company charges $4.25 if you are late paying your bill. You must return your equipment if you cancel your service — if you choose to keep it, you'll end up paying anywhere between $45 and $135 to cover the costs.

DIRECTV FAQ

Can you get internet through DIRECTV?
DIRECTV doesn’t provide internet service directly, but it offers internet services through AT&T.
How much does DIRECTV really cost?
DIRECTV plans range from $49 to $125 a month, plus service fees and installation.
Is DIRECTV better than cable?
DIRECTV has better equipment and technology than many basic cable providers, and it tends to offer more channels.
What is the best DIRECTV package?
It depends on how much TV you watch and what channels you want. The Entertainment package is best for sports lovers, while the Choice option has a lot of family-friendly options. The best package for you varies based on your budget and your TV preferences.

Is DIRECTV good?

In 2019, over 16 million people across the country subscribed to DIRECTV. While channel options and DVR capabilities are a plus, the significant price increase after the first year and challenging cancellation process may discourage people from committing to DIRECTV. Be sure you completely understand your contract before committing to DIRECTV’s services.

DIRECTV Reviews

Over 10k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DIRECTV?

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

Competitive Pricing with other Sat & Cable Providers. Attempted to Requests and told by customer AT&T does Not Match Pricing. Free open market. Do not understand why legacy customers are Not Extended same professional Services.

Original review: July 23, 2021

Their programming is pretty good. Of course the more you get the higher the bill. But you can call yearly and complain, threaten to leave and they’ll knock a $150 bill down to $90 which is great but a pain to do that. Overall score 8 out of 10.

Get buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 20, 2021

Love DirecTV, BUT after going under AT&T the prices have skyrocketed and continue to climb. They do offer discounts up to a year depending on what package you get. However, you will get sticker shock after those promos end. I have two other alternatives but they are also expensive. Looks like I'll be cutting the cord soon and going to streaming services.

Original review: July 16, 2021

Their rates are reasonable. Their service is good, whether on the phone or having a technician come to the house. I don't mind the dish on the roof. Now with the new box, I have better reception with HD & when there is a disruption in service, you can switch over to low definition.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2022

I have been dealing with DirecTV for the several years. I recently call in about 5 months ago and changed my plan and that's when hell began. I was being charge for NFL Sunday tickets that I didn't want and I call in time to have it removed but every month I am still being billed for it. So, every month I have to take time out of my schedule to call and explain the same situations over and over every month for the past 5 months. Not to mention that every time I called one of the representative always say it is in the notes but what I don't understand is why it is still on my monthly bill. I have to called them for the past 5 months and the problem still haven't been resolve. I have come to the conclusion that it may be time to go elsewhere. I'm sick of wasting 30 minutes to discuss the same thing over and over.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2022

Directv is NOT a trustworthy company. I talked with three different service representatives and they all gave me different pricing. The thing that bothered me the most was with the two year price guarantee. The first representative offered me a two year price guarantee of $87.80 a month including taxes and 2 televisions. The next offered me a deal of $75.85 a month, but said to call before the first year to negotiate a lower price for the second year. The third representative who was the superior to the second basically said those prices were not accurate and they do not offer a 2 year price guarantee.

I think they are a bunch of crooks and cannot be trusted. I also found out they just got dumped 2 weeks ago by CenturyLink because their prices have gone up. You can no longer bundle with CenturyLink. I would definitely go with Dish TV, because they have much lower prices and they offer a 2 year price guarantee plus many other options that Directv does not offer. Make sure you do your homework before you sign with Directv, otherwise you might be disappointed.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2022

Stay away from DIRECTV Stream at all costs. I've had my service for two months now and the picture constantly freezes or buffers. The longer I watch it, the worse it gets. And I have a brand new 55" Smart TV. I have to keep my phone next to me so when I'm watching a game, I can switch to that when my DIRECTV Stream service goes down. It's not a question of if, it's when. Do yourself a favor, stay far away from DIRECTV Stream. It's a colossal waste of money and time!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2022

I have been a customer since 1998. As my bill goes up, up, up, any help from DirecTV stops. I have emailed and called for help lowering my bill and all they can offer is a lower tier service. My advice to anyone thinking of DirecTV is go buy a ROKU TV. DirecTV offers 35 to 40 children, music and crap viewing channels. You have to pay for a top tier to get anything worth viewing.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2022

After having numerous issues with my streaming service, I contacted the company. When the recording picks up, I am extremely specific about the issue I'm having. However, I keep getting associates that tell me I’ve contacted the wrong department. Again, EXTREMELY specific with my issues. I then proceed to get transferred to 2 other departments that were unable to assist as well. Finally, I was transferred to the correct department. However, I wasted 2 hours of my time and was disconnected twice, having to start all over again. When I asked the agent if I could speak to a supervisor, I was informed that they would not be able to assist me with that issue. So what I’m hearing is that reps can do whatever they want without being held accountable. Pathetic! Spend the few extra dollars for better service. It’ll save you the stress in the long run!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2021

I love ATT internet. DIRECTV is a bad product, too expensive, with terrible service. DO NOT AGREE TO PURCHURSE DIRECTV. You will have regrets. Their first bill was double what they promised. They fixed that eventually. HUGE bill to cancel.

DIRECTV Company Information