1.51/5
Based on 1,530 ratings submitted in the last year

DIRECTV

For years, DIRECTV has been committed to providing the greatest digital television experience to over 37 million customers in both the U.S and Latin America. Every aspect of our company is centered on bringing each customer state-of-the-art service.

We understand that it is important to our customers that they work with a company that respects and understands their wants and needs, which is why DIRECTV’s employees are trained and ready to assist and answer any of your digital television needs. For the #1 satellite TV service in the country, choose DIRECTV.

View More View More

16148 DIRECTV Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I had a repair scheduled ON 10/16/18 between 12 and 4 pm. I received a call from AT&T at 2 pm saying that not to worry, my appointment is still good and someone will come by 4 pm. At 3-45 pm I spoke to customer service, and I was told that my appointment was for 10/22/18 between 8 AM and 12 pm. Apparently they changed my appointment without calling me and confirming that I would be available at that time period. AT&T has the worst customer service one can imagine, yet they advertise that they have the best customer service. What a piece of crock. I have already transferred my wireless service to Verizon. Next is the internet and TV service to XFINITY when my contract expires.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I ordered a free upgrade of my equipment. When the tech arrived he wanted $136.00 before he started for a switch. I had him call his supervisor who confirmed I would need the switch and needed to pay before work started. I did. The tech installed the new boxes and set everything up. Everything worked and he started to leave then I asked him about the switch I paid for. He said, "Oh" and went outside and replaced the switch with the same one I had. He tried to take the old switch with him. I took it from him. I contacted DirecTV and they told me that I did not need a new switch and would credit my account. I did not receive the credit yet and I think both the tech and supervisor should be charged with theft even if I do get the credit. I want DirecTV to give me the names of both the tech and supervisor so I can file a police report.

Get expert buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

This pains me to say because I worked for AT&T for 15 years. DirecTV had amazing customer service. I would rate them as an A+. Now it is the worst customer service experience imaginable since everything has been outsourced. We were on the phone for 45 minutes to simply add a basic receiver for another room - a basic request. We got transferred twice and everything we asked seemed to confuse the customer service reps we spoke with.

I understand that outsourcing is a good way on paper to reduce costs... however what could have been a 5 minute call with a competent operator took 45 minutes... so is it really worth it in the long run to anger customers while at the same time not really saving money because an inexperience foreign rep will take 10X longer to handle a request. Please switch back - you ruined something that wasn't broken. Apparently nobody from corporate is actually reading these reviews because I see I have a lot of company in my thoughts.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

We have been loyal customers for several years and the service just isnt what it use to be. We have had to contact them on numerous occasions having to correct certain things that were done wrong on their end. Getting ahold of a live person is very difficult because their automated system is not easy to navigate. Their prices are way too high for the quality of customer service you get. My husband had added me to the account twice so that I could handle any problems that arise with DirecTV and every time I have to call they tell me that my husband has to call in and give permission to speak with me but he works 7 days a week 12 hours a day and does not have time to deal with their poor customer service which is why we have added myself on multiple occasions. We will be switching to Dish soon.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Service constantly disconnected from internet. Sent multiple service people who never fixed problem and even commented what a horrible company they were. After one year of service that went out when the wind blew I got a bill that almost doubled. When I called they agreed to cancel my service because of my history and assured me the auto deduct payment would not come out. IT DID! Now after 2 hours on the phone being transferred multiple times and flat out lied to they say I will get a check in the mail in 30 to 45 days. They cannot credit electronically. (only debit) Run for your life if you get approached about switching. Absolutely the worst experience I have ever had with a company in my life.

Side note the on screen number if you have problems with service is missing a number. When you figure that out that it is a "0" and call the number you will get a representative in foreign country. I have told every representative that I have talked to in the last year about the number not correct and it still is the same 1-800-531-500.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DIRECTV?

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I've been a loyal customer since 2012. Customer service is not the same anymore. It use to be all about the customer and how to keep a customer. Now they don't care to keep a customer happy. After 6 yrs of service with them they want to charge me a $200 transfer fee and obligate me to get wifi plus a 2 yr commitment. This company sucks! I just canceled. I rather start fresh WITH a 2 yr commitment somewhere else.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

DirecTV called & ask me to come back. They promised I would have the same service as before. I do not. This is their 4th trip out here. I also went 4 day w/o internet. They broke and didn't fix. Still not right...

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

My experience with this company has been a laundry list of lies and foreign customer service reps that don't know the business and take no pride in their jobs. They need to bring those jobs back to this country to the people that respect and honor the American values. Lie #1 - I was signed up with service only to learn I was charged $20 extra per month for warranty service that I never asked for. Lie #2 - I used my AMEX card to sign up but didn't want to pay my bill EVER with that account. I called to have it changed and was promised it would be removed. It wasn't. Lie #3 - I gave them a list of channels that were important to me and was assured that they were all included in my package. They weren't and when I questioned it no one had an answer.

Lie #4 - Like many Florida residents, I spend my summers in the north. DirecTV doesn't have a program to accommodate "snowbirds". The 1st summer I had to pay the entire bill all summer long and never used the service. The automated line said I wasn't eligible to suspend my service temporarily. When speaking to a customer service rep I was told that I should have talked to an agent. Really??? So your automated line is not programmed to give accurate information? Why have it? Lie #5 - I was able to suspend my service the following summer. I was never told that it would generate a rate change when I reactivated the service. I was charged almost twice the regular amount for a partial month service.

Lie #6 - I had paid my bill in full prior to requesting suspension for a few months and was told that I would NOT get a refund for suspending the service. Hmmm, next month there was a credit on my bill. This certainly demonstrates the incompetence of the representatives. Lie #7 - I called DirecTV because while my service was suspended while I was out of town I still wanted access to certain programs and to be able to stream them at my convenience. I didn't think this would be such a problem since I was able to enjoy this service with Xfinity. DirecTV does not have a plan for snowbirds. I was even willing to pay for the service for 3 to 6 months at my temporary location. I was told that I could create a new account but if I cancelled it my credit would be affected. Really??? NOTE: there was never a mention of a contract.

Lie #8 - I was told my best option would be DirecTV NOW. I had a long chat session and was assured that they could meet my needs. Within 6 hours I had contacted them to cancel the service that it was misrepresented. I followed up with a phone call and was assured that the service was cancelled. That was on or about June 16th. They continued to bill me so I disputed the charges with my credit card provider for 3 months until I requested that a block be placed on the account. Now they are sending emails asking for the payment. Really??? (You cannot stream ABC.com without a TV service provider. I didn't have access with my DirecTV account but did in the past with Xfinity!)

Lie #9 - I made two attempts to get clarity on the line items on my bill after I returned home from my extended vacation. The 1st call the rep wanted to credit me $25 and as I asked more questions the price went up to $35 and she claimed that was all she was allowed to offer. Strange that while I was on the phone with her and also on line with my account I was mysteriously locked out of my account for one hour. Hmmm. I did not want to accept the credit without a clear understanding of the escalated charges on my bill. She was not able to give me that information and my temper flared. I waited a few days before I tackled this again with another rep. He wasn't any better and told me I would have to call locally to learn why the taxes charged have quadrupled.

After disputing the bill twice, the payment was 2 days late. I have never been late and always pay early. When I asked that the rep remove any late charge that might be incurred as a result of the bill, I was told no and I would have to call back next month. If you decide to subscribe with DirecTV please be warned that you will not be advised of a contract. Also realize that you will be paying them but the experience will become a part time job for you that you never signed up for. By no means will they consider working with you even to explain mysterious charges. FRAUDULENT and DECEITFUL company.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I have had DirecTV for about 10 years. Their customer service used to be top notch. I never had issues with the system, I even referred a lot of friends to use them because I was so happy with the product. I’m the past year, the customer service is atrocious. They have no answers and have to look up everything. The service is ridiculously slow if it’s even working. My contract is up...time to start looking at new companies.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I decided to help my elderly mother in-law of 84 years to switch her internet and cable to TV services to AT&T Directv. Little did I know that this was going to be the worst nightmare of my life. I was on the phone for almost 4 hours with 7 different people. Each of them asked me the same questions and then put me on hold to do some research. Every phone call got dropped and the person never came back and never called me back despite me requesting the call back in the event of a disconnect. Three times, when I called back, the technician insisted to start the process from scratch rather than going back to the order number that I had been given by the first technician.

They wanted to get credit for the order rather than helping a frustrated customer who had been bounced around for a long time. At one point, I asked to speak to a manager, and after waiting for another 20 minutes, the technician returned and said that the manager was not around and that he was going to try to resolve my issue. This guy was really, really incapable. He could not tell me what services were in the order and how much they were going to cost each month... And he kept on asking unrelated questions. It was a very frustrating evening and at the end I decided to cancel the order. Stay away from this company... It is the worst!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I have been a DirecTV customer since 2010, my remote broke... I have a basic package of receiver & remote. They will not replace the remote without a fee of $15. So I am paying for a service I cannot use. Once my service contract is done, never, ever, will they have me as a customer again. They tried to raise my bill after AT&T bought them out, twice... called said we have a contract, I am only paying the contract monthly price. With this new service, we have another Sears making history. I don't see AT&T in business in 5 years.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

We are so DONE with the issues... We've had several technicians out here to no avail! For 6 months... Multiple problems with sound, live TV freezing (Can't watch live TV AT ALL! ), Guide too small to see and vibrating on 2 TVs, DVR deleting shows (most unviewed), EXTREMELY LOUD commercials! among others + billing issues (raising the bill) (double dipping charges) that keep occurring.

We have paid for service we weren't even able to use for the last month & a half! We subscribed to apps... Hulu, Vudu, YouTube etc. We have overpaid for services we never received as it stands and they are holding this contract over our heads. (We signed up with DirecTV, NOT AT&T!) Tried to hold us hostage with the threat of cancellation fees. As well, we never received the $250 gift card they promised for signing up/coming back (had them in the past), that we were told continuously "was on the way". They now have "no clue" what we are talking about! "There aren't any notes about it on the account." Has gotten way worse since AT&T took over! We switched to Dish! Best decision we've ever made.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

If I could give them a half of a star then I would. We recently moved from HI to GA a few days ago but scheduled our service to be suspended and transferred over a month and a half ago for today. Contacted AT&T 5 times today to confirm appointment since we were 3 hours into a four hour time frame with no sign of the service tech in sight. After the fourth phone call we decided to ask for a manager. It took a manager for them to discover the appointment in their system was in Hawaii although we have an automatic confirmation email for installation at the new address and every rep verified to spot address with us over the phone. Now they can’t come out until the following Monday; 6 days later thanks to the unapologetic AT&T and DirecTV team. If it was up to me, I would definitely get rid of your services provided. Y’all didn’t take responsibility when you know you were wrong.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I have called this company so many with issues, that their number comes up on my phone as speed dial. The bill from the start was NEVER what sales told me it would be, took months to even get it close. Finally cancelled service and in the process found out we were being charged for equipment we had return a year prior that was never credited to the account.

Then I requested the service be cancelled on a specific date, that got screwed up even after reviewing it with the rep 5 or 6 times to be sure he had done it right. 4 months after cancelling we get a statement showing we were charged a non-return fee for the equipment mentioned earlier that had been returned the year prior. They are crooks and cheats. WORST COMPANY EVER. Save yourself the minutes on your phone bill, time, frustration and money. USE ANYONE BUT them or be prepared to spend hours a month trying to fix your bill and even when they say it's fixed, don't believe them. The odds are NOT in your favor.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I never have had so many problems with this service and customer service before AT&T took them over. Ever since then it has been one thing after another. They are well aware of a software problem which affects the recorded shows on the playlist, and the ONLY way to get the full playlist back is to do a reset on the unit, and then it takes forever (or at least that's what it feels like) to get the service back.

I've been having this problem since June, 2018 and since that time, I've been given 3 different dates that this problem will be resolved, of which I don't trust. There's always a different date when you call, and when you speak to CS, they have no clue what you're talking about. You can explain what problem you're having, and when they repeat it back to you, it's completely wrong which tells me they're NOT listening. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone, and as soon as the other company I'm looking into gets their upgraded DVR box I plan on dropping DirecTV.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

Upgraded to the new 'more advanced' HD DVR. Have had nothing but issues. Every month I need to reset because only 50% of recorded shows will show. The DVR is so extremely slow and the programming is sorely lacking in user friendliness and smooth transition - very difficult to get back to the correct show to delete after watching. BACK no longer works to putting you into the list where it is easy to delete the show. The new interface, after months of using, is just horrible. Very clunky to move around and get the info you need on the show without clicking many times. Also very easy to get lost. This definitely needs attention. If Comcast wasn't so bad I would be there; however, I'm being pushed closer and closer to cutting the cord.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

We called to sign up with DirecTV from a flyer that they sent to us. They would not stick to the prices that were on the flyer. After we thought we finally had an understanding and they had our bank information they tried to add an extra $20. My husband told them to cancel the order and they refused and hung up on us. We called back and it took us another half hour to get the order canceled. They even threatened to give us a bad credit rating. Not sure how they were going to do that? We will never use this company!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

DirecTV where do I start: since AT&T has taken over the DirecTV I once knew and loved is non-existent. Billing every other month is different. $136.00 one month. Next month $156.00. My bill is never the same. I looked at my bill $10 a month for HD channels, $10 a month for movie channels and sports channels I did not order! TV constantly freezes up your list of recordings disappear and TV shows just randomly record! I mean this is constant! And then when I ask them to knock my bill down cuz I've been a loyal customer since 2004 you get ridiculed and harassed more importantly nowhere! And this is a consistent fight I have with them. They, truly don't care about their customers and the outcome is you don't get what you pay for!

So I decided to cancel my DirecTV service. I asked them if I was still under contract. They told me NO my contract was up! So I found another TV provider. Called DirecTV back to formally cancel and guess what? They told me I was under contract because I ordered the wireless receivers that I was told would only be under contract for 1 year! Nope! It's a two-year contract! But I was just told I wasn't under contract until I called back to cancel! WOW! They try to beat you to keep you! Well they didn't beat me. I ended up paying for the contract I was under (supposedly under). Now I'm a very happy Dish Network customer. Kind of reminds me how DirecTV (Now AT&T) used to be. So if you want God-awful customer service TV that doesn't work then by all means go with AT&T! I now watch TV and I'm not exhausted knowing that I'm going to have to call and deal with AT&T to try and get my service to work! Amen! Hallelujah! Exhausted no more!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I have been a Comcast/Xfinity customer for a few years and decided to go another route to save some money. So I inquired about DirecTV via AT&T. This process started mid-September which is when I initially called in. My first installation date was set for October 8th which was fine and agreed to by me. We received 4 text messages the day before the install saying everything was on schedule. So my wife decided to take a day from work and await the installers. They were due to arrive between 8 AM and 12 noon. She waited and waited and nothing... SO about 1:45 PM I called customer service to inquire what was going on. I was told there was NO record of the install because as we discovered during the call, my SS# was incorrectly added to my account. Fine, everyone makes mistakes.

We set up a new install date for October 11th. October 11th comes and goes and nothing. My wife takes another day off of work for nothing. I call back again on October 11th about 5 PM. New install date is set to October 19th. A Friday... I call back October 15th and am told that my install date has moved again... this time to October 24. I write this as I am currently on the phone trying to inquire why DirecTV has decided to treat me like trash. This entire process has been one of the most aggravating experiences of my life. I wish this on NO ONE. Stay clear of this company and do yourself and your health a favor because they will bring you to the point of blood boiling with their utter incompetence.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I will start by saying that I am a disabled person on a tiny fixed income. I had problems from the beginning. Each bill was different yet the service stayed the same. After 3 or 4 months everything was fine. Then out of the blue my bill was $5.00 more. They said everybody got a few more local channels. Without a choice. Then bill went up $5.00 or $10.00 for insurance that I did not ask for. I found myself having to move. I took the service with me. Same state. Had to start a new 2 year contract. I find that to be not fair to the customer. A year and a half later I had to move again.

I could not keep DirecTV service. The people had their own and would not switch. So DirecTV bills me $210.00 for early cancellation fee. I asked if I could make payments. Keep in mind I am on a tiny fixed income. They would not work with me. Round and around for an hour. Finally they said okay. But the payments had to be paid within I think it was 43 days. Thats not helping me. The bill was due then anyways. Trying to trick me. Round and round again. Finally said okay again. Then when I got the bill it showed different. Full amount due. I had to sell my van. My only transportation to keep them from destroying my credit. So now I am a disabled person with no way to get anywhere. I asked them for a return box for the equipment. They said no.

I have to take it to U.P.S. or FedEx. I have no transportation. So they sent me a label. I still had no transportation. So I had to pay a wheelchair accessible service take me to the post office. I sent two boxes. I accidentally sent one of my own personal boxes I bought from radioshack. I asked them if they would send my box back. Then I would send their right box back. They said no. The warehouse cannot ship. I call B.S. So now I have to pay a service again to take me to the post office to ship their second box back. Or else they will destroy my credit. That cost me $32.00 per trip. Twice. Plus the $99.98 I paid for my own box that they will not return to me. $210.00 Disconnect fee. And lost my transportation. So I say do not use DirecTV or AT&T. If they are willing to do all that to a disabled person. What would they be willing to do to somebody with money. I am sure the owner of those companies sleeps sound.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I had Dish for years and could record up to 16 programs at a time, had drop out because of weather 3 times in 5 yrs... Now 5 programs max and always pixelating. It is so slow changing channels, starting up, rewinding you name it. I switched to save money with a bundle, but it is definitely not worth the savings or aggravation!!!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I am so disappointed with DirecTV customer service. We moved recently. The move was free. I told the technician on the scheduling phone call that I would be adding 2 new TVs to our account. At no time did she mention that I would not be able to watch the TVs on different channels at the same time unless I purchased an upgraded Genie. The installers arrive & inform me of this. I agree to purchase the equipment.

Afterwards I'm then told that my mover's is no longer free since I purchased more equipment. That's right. I'm spending more money upfront & monthly & now they charge me a $200 moving fee on top of it. I've called several times spoken with supervisors, been "accidentally" disconnected with no return phone call. Everyone promises a note will be on my account & the $200 will be credited. I'm still arguing with them a month later & nobody can help apparently. I'm so sick of it all. It also might help if employees would quit reading a script & actually listen to what I am saying. Some English speaking operators might help too.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

I have been a customer of DirecTV for over 20 years and currently pay close to $1700 per year. I had a problem that required adjustment of the satellite dish. The charge was $100 to adjust it or add $10 per month to my bill. I explained that since it was not my dish I should not have to pay anything. Like talking to the wall. I asked if it was worth it to lose a 20+ year customer paying $1700/yr over a $100 service call. Talking to the wall. Going to Dish.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

I have had ATT landline phone for 45 years. I was solicited in my ATT bill to get DIRECTV bundle for $80 a month for the package I picked. The first bill was $159 and I paid thinking it must be for two months. Then next month bill comes and it is $175, my god. So I call and after two hours of trying to understand the person talking finally gave up and went to my local ATT store. Well at the ATT store the manager was very rude. Said it was my problem that I should have came here in the first place if I wanted to change my service. Said he could NOT help me.

So I tried chat this time to get help. Boy you should see the transcript. According to the person chatting, he saw all the times I had tried to fix my account and promised he could do it. Boy howdy did he NOT. Next bill I got all kind of HD this and that and the bill was even higher. How the hell can you run a business like this. I promise you this that when my two years is up I will cancel. Not only my TV and internet but my landline that I have had almost 50 years. ** YOU ATT AND DIRECTV. I WILL NEVER USE YOU AGAIN AND WILL KEEP TELLING ALL TO NEVER USE YOU BY SHARING MY STORY WITH ALL I CAN.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

After AT&T acquired DIRECTV, I was solicited by phone to bundle DIRECTV services with my Internet at no additional cost, so I agreed, although I really didn't particularly need that service. Over the past couple of years, I have tried to get out of that situation since I was then billed for DIRECTV fraudulently. I have had negative experience after negative experience trying to get out of a contractual obligation and fees that I should not have incurred. I finally disconnected services, paying the early termination fee which I really didn't owe, last month, only to be billed again.

I talked to three different people yesterday over the course of an hour and had no satisfactory resolution. In addition, I had agreed to keep my AT&T Internet service last month only because I was offered a reduced price of $40 per month, and I was subsequently billed the original amount of $68 and some change, so that wasn't handled properly either. I am headed for the Better Business Bureau.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I called DirecTV to move my service from one address to another in the same city and got an appointment made. The day of the appointment it was raining so they cancelled it on me. When you called to get it rescheduled they ended up leaving my appointment on hold instead of canceling the old one and making me a new one. When I called about that they rescheduled me for today and after being up since 7:30 on my day off to make sure I was awake for the technician to come in my scheduled appointment gets canceled 30 minutes outside of the timetable because they couldn’t find my address but yet DirecTV has been hooked up here before and the first technician that came out found it just fine!!! I’m cancelling my service. Not a good way to take care of your customers at all!!!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I've had DirecTV for about five years now. Aside from it going out once in a while with bad weather, we really have had no complaints. This past week the bedroom mini genies were not working correctly. A few days later the main TV stopped working. I called DirecTv and got a somewhat normal customer service person who told me she thought I might need a new activation card. I received it a few days later with instructions to call customer service to help me through the process.

I called. The foreign person on the other end acted as if she had no idea what I was even talking about. Just kept putting me on hold and apologizing. Decided I needed a new Genie for the main TV. So... They send that out to me. I hook it up. Says to call customer service. I call. I swear I got the same foreign person. She had NO IDEA how to help me. Just kept putting me on hold and apologizing. THEN tried to sell me some "money saving" monthly plan. Finally she decided she would schedule a Tech visit at my house. I tell her I have no return label to return the old Genie, she says to give it to the tech guy.

Tech guy comes a few days later, at the scheduled time. Seemed normal for the most part. Seemed polite enough. Just had to make a few adjustments to the new box that could have been done over the phone if the person on the other end had any type of clue what she was doing. Tech guy said if he took my old equipment it might sit in the warehouse too long and I'd get charged. I call back DirecTV and AGAIN, I swear I got that same foreign girl!!!! I just asked if I could have a return label to send back my equipment.

Again, she tries to sell me some discount monthly BS. Again, puts me on hold. Starts asking me what I'm returning, what the model number is - which confused me because I just assumed she was looking at my account while she was speaking to me. I tell her. She puts me on hold AGAIN. I'm like "can I just have a return label?" Finally 20 minutes later she comes back on the phone only to tell me that my old genie was so old that I can just discard it. Why didn't anyone tell me this? Why are they all foreign and WHY are the customer service people for DirecTV so clueless????

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

Long time DirecTV customer who will now be switching companies. DirecTV offered a equipment upgrade with my plan, scheduled an appointment between 12 and 4 pm. They couldn't provide a specific time, left work and sat at home for 5 hours waiting, finally called (overseas call center) to find out that the tech was never going to make it from his prior appointment. They didn't call, text or email... Just blew me off and then tried to just give me another 5 hour long appointment time 2 weeks later. Any contact you have with this company is an overseas call center... They try to mask it but you're clearly calling India. Used to be a good company to deal with. Now a nightmare.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I spent over an hour being transferred back and forth between "associates" when I tried to called and cancelled my DirecTV service. The last person I spoke with assured me that the bill that I received and was due on 9/27 was for service in "advance". I cancelled on 9/12. The only thing I would be due for was the $120 cancellation fee and would even be due a "credit" for service paid for and not received. I paid the $120 fee and then was told that I was due $27.39 for 7 days of service from 9/5 to 9/12. I spent ANOTHER 1 HOUR AND 17 MINS on hold and/or being transferred from one person to another INCLUDING being transferred from billing to the "Technical" help desk - EVEN though I ask WHY I was being transferred to the "Technical Help Desk" and the "Technical" help desk ask ME why I was transferred to "Technical" because they could not help me!! It's a game. I will NEVER have DirecTV again.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I was once a big fan of AT&T and DirecTV and loved my service. I moved and had to switch to Comcast since AT&T could not offer fast internet speeds. I was sad to make the switch. A few years later AT&T offered fiber which was faster internet and a TV package similar to Comcast for LESS! I canceled Comcast (no cancellation fees) and it was easy to switch. WOW what a mistake. While Comcast was improving it seemed DirecTV went to opposite direction. The user interface was laggy and unorganized for the on demand features.

Soon after I signed up the issues began which I will summarize below: They installed the satellite in winter. When spring came around and the trees grew leaves I had terrible TV service. I called to have the angle adjusted to no avail... They said there was a tree in the way... Wow. I tried again in Hope's of getting a different tech but the new tech did not fix it either due to leaves in the way.

My bill was quoted at around $124 a month with a discount included for being an AT&T wireless customer. Shocker that wasn't being included. After 2hrs on phone with customer service they said it would be corrected. WRONG. I called a few weeks later for another 2hr session and they said I could not capitalize on this discount since my address was not where the wireless bill was (my mom's address). so I changed it to hers under the recommendation of the service member I was on call with. Didn't work. Few weeks later I called and after 2 more hours I was told since I was on a family plan and one member was getting it I couldn't use it. All of this I made very clear to the sales rep prior to signing up.

I was suckered into the $200 Visa card when signing up. They really try to slip this one past you. They sent one email to tell me my confirmation number to get the reward. I called and my number wasn't valid within the two month (I think) time frame I was given. I had proof I called twice in that time frame and they acknowledged I had. Still couldn't get the reward. They kept sending me in a loop endlessly. Never got my money. Got tricked into the movie channel scam for $50 which was my fault. They give three months free but sign you up if you don't cancel. My fault, but that's how shady they are.

When I went to cancel my services because I was so fed up with arguing (I've left a lot out that was smaller) they tried selling me these deals that were remarkable. Oh well. Still canceled for $450 which I was glad to pay to not have any more issues. Never saw the bill. I have screen shots of checking the bill and it having $0 balance. So I figured they just missed it like a lot of things they do. They even sent me emails with reminders which I logged into to pay. Nothing. Fast forward 5 months and collections calls. GREAT. Turns out when you go to the links they send, the my AT&T app, and the DirecTV website the login prompts you for you user OR AT&T access ID. These do not take you to the same account so I was looking into the wrong account the entire time. Thank you DirecTV for a nice user face.

When I played the teleprompter asks for credit card number etc and I enter it all then get transferred to a representative ( I had to hold first of course) to tell them the same info again. Long story short is Comcast isn't the best thing ever, but they are miles ahead of DirecTV who just tries to scam you in and keep you in an endless loop of fixing their "billing mistakes".

DIRECTV expert review by ConsumerAffairs

With more than 39 million customers, DIRECTV is one of the largest providers of paid TV services. The company is headquartered in El Segundo, California, and it provides programming to customers through satellite transmissions.

• Exceptional customer service: The company is rated #1 in customer service compared to other cable and satellite TV providers, according to the American Customer Satisfaction Index.

• Never miss a game: The NFL Sunday Ticket ensures all subscribers can watch out-of-market games.

• Expansive HD catalog: DIRECTV has 195 HD channels, including AMC HD, ABC Family HD, Hallmark Channel HD, among many, many others.

• Record from any television: DIRECTV service comes with an HD Genie that records shows from up to eight televisions throughout a home or office.

• Watch from anywhere: Customers can enjoy family favorites and recorded shows using a mobile device with an Internet connection.

• Best for: Television fans who watch a range of programs and customers with special interests.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs