1.72/5
Based on 1,749 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

DIRECTV

For years, DIRECTV has been committed to providing the greatest digital television experience to over 37 million customers in both the U.S and Latin America. Every aspect of our company is centered on bringing each customer state-of-the-art service.

We understand that it is important to our customers that they work with a company that respects and understands their wants and needs, which is why DIRECTV’s employees are trained and ready to assist and answer any of your digital television needs. For the #1 satellite TV service in the country, choose DIRECTV.

Read More Read More

Last updated: May 25, 2018

15683 DIRECTV Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 25, 2018

On May 3rd, 2018... my wife and I contacted DirecTV and AT&T to cancel our service due to poor internet in the area (the internet also affected our dvr box as well (Genie)). So after getting transferred to multiple different departments and tech support, the tech support manager we spoke to told us that when the installer for our DirecTV and AT&T made a note on the account that the internet was very poor and there was nothing they could do about it. So finally they agreed to waive all of the early activation fees.

Two and a half weeks go by I get a bill from AT&T which shows they owe us a $6 credit and the DirecTV bill shows we owe $400 plus for cancelation fees, etc. So now my wife and I contacted DirecTV yet again, after getting transferred to several different departments and a hour and a half later we finally talk to a manager, and the manager told us that there are no notes in their system that said the cancelation fees are waived. In theory, I would never trust DirecTV and AT&T for services again. They will lie to you, delete notes “that they put in their system,” and they also have the worst customer service I’ve ever dealt with.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I own a rental home and the renter called DirecTV. DTV installer bolted a dish to the $8,500 roof. Putting for holes in the roof. I removed the dish patch the holes up temporarily. Hired a roofer. Had the proof repaired. Sent pictures to DirecTV of the damage the bill and the repaired roof. They told me that they weren't responsible nobody contacted me the actual owner of $189,000 home to see if it was okay for Jim Bob Billy Bob redneck idiot DirecTV installer 2 bolt a freaking dish to the roof. I suggest DirecTV changed their policy so that they have in writing signed by the actual property owner before the installer destroys roof. Just my opinion and a person that had to pay to fix the roof.

Get expert buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 23, 2018

So I hear that AT&T bought out DirecTV so I assume some nerds at AT&T put their spin on the font and design of the menus. Whoever did it should be examined carefully for their experience in reviewing their work from a customer perspective. The font is so small it is impossible to read from 15 feet without stopping the scroll and reading and re-reading the menu. Every time I have to use the menus, I get angry. And that doesn't bode well for the long term of my relationship with DirecTV.

Original review: May 23, 2018

Typeset is much too small! Large TV, yet typeset is so small and screen display so cluttered that we cannot read titles without getting close to TV. Please simplify! Scroll line is almost same color tone as other options under Guide. Under list, do away with box emphazing current selection. Make all uniform. Put it back like it was. Thank you. This is very frustrating. Make typeset larger!

Original review: May 22, 2018

Signed up with DirecTV Now in September of 217 thru AT&T. Told it would be 10 a month. Every month from Sept to Dec they charge me 35. I had to contact them each time. Only way to contact is by chat on their website. They don't do refund only credits. By Jan I had 50 credits. I was told the 50 would take care of Jan, Feb, March, April, and Mays bills. Jan thru April was fine. In May they canceled me for nonpayment because they did apply that credit. Now they want me to reactive my account, pay 35 dollars and they will give me more credits. I told them it was their fault. They should reactivate it. Also tell me because my account was canceled I would not be able to do 10 a month. It would 35. What a rip off.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DIRECTV?

Original review: May 21, 2018

Had DirecTV for less than 6 months. Service didn't work as promised. Cancelling the service became a problem which eventually got through. However, I was hit with a early termination fee. For a service that didn't work why should I be charged with an early termination fee? Numerous attempts to settle the early termination dispute resulted in my AT&T internet service being suspended. On numerous occasions while speaking to DirecTV, I was told something but another totally different outcome resulted. Overall, my experience with DirecTV service was poor. The customer service was horrible. As such, I don't think I will be using DirecTV ever again unless under a new management.

Original review: May 20, 2018

We pay monthly for service agreement. Scheduled service for Saturday 05/20/18 for error 755 (outside cable needs replaced) between 12-4. They no showed, no called on our service appt. I called to find out if technician coming/not coming, got call center, on hold 10 minutes. She could not tell me. Said she would call back. She did call back, still could not tell me if we would get our service or not. She said she had to call "dispatch". Bottom line, 3 phone calls later - no answer, had to log online and do online chat to reschedule because they no showed our service appt. even though we pay a monthly service agreement. Their service is by far the worst I have ever seen. Our contract is up in July, and we are changing providers. DirecTV you really need to step up your game on our service, it is the worst!!

Original review: May 19, 2018

I had DirecTV installed here because I thought the picture quality would be better than my Cable Service. The picture isn't even really HD. 720 and at best 1080i (not 1080p). It looks like you are looking at a low resolution photo. Grainy faces, jagged broken graphics, etc. I do have a Ultra 4K TV so it isn't here. Everything else looks fine. I should have stayed with Cable. I was offered a $200 gift card - never received it. When you call them all they do is transfer your call from one person to the other. They never resolve the issue. They just continuously pass the buck. Awful service and awful product - Can't wait for my 2 years to expire and then I will kick them to the curb. They don't care if you are happy because I am sure they read all these bad reviews but make no effort to improve. They have your money and the contract - that is all they wanted. Stay with cable.

Original review: May 19, 2018

I moved to a new address and had previously had DirecTV. I have been customer for over 20+ years. I called for installation in my new home and they sent out some young man, that did not know what he was doing. He stated that he could not do the installation because of "random" electrical particles. He advised me to get a electrical technician before he could install. I called an electrical technician and he checked my electricity stating that the DirecTV tech did not know what he was talking about. I called DirecTV for another appointment and I was on hold for 1 hr. and 25 min, and still was unable to re-schedule my appointment. I called again and was on the phone for 1 hr. and 30 min, with no success. I think that DirecTV has fallen down on his job in servicing its customers and will lose my business because of it.

Original review: May 18, 2018

Hello, new customer to DTV. Agreed on a monthly sum for 1 year. Every month I get a bill for more. Granted, it's $7 one month, $12 the next, it is never consistent. I have to call EVERY month to get adjusted. This month, they cannot explain the overcharges of $9. However, they TRIED to redirect me and try to change the reason why I called. Several attempts here. CABLE SERVICE IS A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT. People, please check your bills, your parents' bills. I know my elder parents would continue to pay without questions. THIS IS HOW THEY SCAM you. Thank you DIRECTV for the disappointing service. Starting a movement to DISCONNECT FROM ALL CABLE SERVICE IN THE USA.

Original review: May 18, 2018

DIRECTV recently updated the HR44 / Genie receiver. Information and functions are gone and more complicated and not working. Font and contrast is so small you cant read it. It's slower and does not work. Hundreds of users that are aware of the ATT forums are pleading to undo the change but they refuse. I can only imagine the thousands that can't post that are in the same position.

Original review: May 17, 2018

Dont get DirecTV. A few Months Ago my satellite service was shut off. Then when it was reconnected they added a bunch of channels (premium). I called and they said the $150.00 was the bill I had always paid. I then tried logging onto my account to show them what I had paid ($100.00) and I could not log on to my account. I tried and tried. No dice. I dont want all the premium channels...

Original review: May 16, 2018

I cracked my screen on my iPad 4 mini 128 gig. They said give us 5 - bucks and it will take about a week and a half to receive your item fixed or replaced. I didn’t care about being replaced cause it’s only a few months old. Several weeks later, I call direct and they said they can’t fix it and I’ll get a replacement, in about 3 weeks. Another lie. Then I got the choice to select which I wanted... 32 gig gold or 64 gig white. Mine was a space grey 128 gig. Excuse me. I have called and there’s said she would put a note in my file. WHAT! Give me back what I gave you. Thieves. I think they lost it and won’t admit it. Sure feel like using a lot of other words in this review.

Original review: May 15, 2018

We have been with DirecTV for many many years... Last year after working out a deal with DirecTV for a 2 year contract. I was told to call back in a year for the second year of credits. They offered to reduce the bill without telling me it would be less Channels. When I asked they chimed up and said, "Oh that's 135 channels..." 20 channels less than the lowest offer on their webpage. Unbelievable! What a way to treat a loyal customer! Been the phone now for 90+ minutes and they do not have any promotions to offer. So we are going to try another cable company - Comcast... In addition, our satellite dish has been having problems for 4 weeks now. They want to charge me $89 for the service call to fix their equipment. They have better offers for new clients than the people who had been loyal so guess it's time to leave DirecTV. Extremely poor customer service.

Original review: May 15, 2018

We have been with DirecTV 8+years. We recently upgraded because we had out of date boxes and remotes. They came out 4/12/18 installed. We have not been able to watch anything with the new genie boxes. We constantly getting yellow light on box blinking then tv screen will say connecting. I have called SEVERAL times. Said they would only take 25.00 off my bill. DirecTV is a joke!

Original review: May 15, 2018

If I could give negative stars I would. We had terrible service from day one. We were told we had one package but when we went to the channels we didn’t have them. So we had to “upgrade” to get the channels we were originally promised. Then our DVR box would record things we didn’t want recorded and not record the things we did want. After putting up with this for a few months we decided to go elsewhere. We were told a certain amount to cancel... And then a few days later we get a bill for 4x’s what they told us. We have fought with them five different times and each time they said “it would be taken care of” now they have sent us to their collection agency while we were negotiating what we could do. All they would say is you signed a contract, which is true... But why can their employees tell us something completely different? I’m really disappointed in how we were treated and we will for sure not be coming back.

Original review: May 14, 2018

We had a horrible experience when trying to cancel our DirecTV service... We actually were not canceling because the service was that bad but to bundle else-where to save money. When calling to cancel we told the agent this and said someday we may come back. But after the experience we have had WE WILL NEVER BE BACK!!! After 30 mins of the agent saying we can cancel but still trying to sell me, the agent then told me we were under contract and could not cancel. So I spent 30 mins being nice so he could disclose this as a last resort to keep us. How could we be under contract?? Impossible because we have had DirecTV for 6 years. The agent explained that a couple years ago our service went out and DirecTV came out to fix it and they installed a newer box in our house. We were shocked! We had 5 boxes and did not have a clue that replacing our broken box would extend our contract by 2 years...

At this point I was getting upset. I said we want to cancel and could the agent tell me the amount it would be to break our contract? The agent just said we couldn't cancel that it was a lot of money to break contract. WE COULDN'T CANCEL? Being told you can't cancel is upsetting but it gets more upsetting. He finally tells me the amount it will be to break our contract. The agent then proceeds to tell me that I'm unable to cancel that he needs to speak to my HUSBAND... What the hell? Why does he need to speak to my husband? The agent told me I'm unable to cancel the account that I'm too upset and he needs to speak to my husband to cancel our account. What year is this? My name is on the account. Why can't I cancel? I was horrified.

I tried calling my husband to patch him into the call. At this point we want nothing to do with this SEXIST shady company. My husband did not answer and the agent said, “I will wait, we can't cancel unless your husband cancels it.” The agent's tone was smug with power as he kept repeating that my husband is the only one to cancel our account. Why didn't the agent tell me this when I first called? Because it wasn't true. I ended up getting off the phone and calling back and the woman that answered said, “Yes you can cancel your account. Your name is on the account.” Completely shocking and horrible that a company uses antics like this, bullying people to keep customers. WE WILL NEVER COME BACK.

We should have written this review months ago. Just received a bill from DIRECTV out of the blue after we paid off the account. We called again, this time MY HUSBAND and they said we owe a final bill 5 months after the fact and we have no clue to what it is or why we owe it. They said I didn't cancel account completely?? Stuck and don't know what to do... Horrible company. Seems illegal that they can do stuff like this.

Original review: May 13, 2018

Their service is virtually nonexistent since AT&T. Now their system keeps freezing as if buffering & literally shutting down live broadcasts, as well as recorded programs on their DVR. If I wanted program buffering that doesn't recover I could go back to Netflix.

Original review: May 13, 2018

The DIRECTV service is too high priced and get channels you don't even use. They should give you channels you want to watch and a set rate for them. Also you pay for equipment one way or another which should be free and if you should not want the service anymore you need to return the equipment. The 160 to 170 dollars I spend a month is nuts.

Original review: May 13, 2018

I am very disappointed. They lie and do not keep their word, they do not back up their sales associates. They lie to get you to sign and then they let you have it. Can't wait for my contract to be over to dump them.

Original review: May 13, 2018

I still have the dish on my roof. They punctured my roof & even though we attempted repairs the leak is still happening & now I have mold in my roof in my living room. I need help!

Original review: May 13, 2018

I do not like that a lot of programming is messed up and unavailable to view when the weather changes. Lots of good it does to have a TV go out on you when you need to hear about severe weather. If electricity is not compromised why can’t the providers be just as reliable and continue with programming? Customers pay dearly so they should have enough money to upgrade the equipment so interruptions would not happen.

Original review: May 13, 2018

It would be great if Direct or cable providers let customers choose their channels since most of the packages include so many junk no good for nothing channels.

Original review: May 13, 2018

Price is always a concern and choice but overall happy with DirecTV. However depending on where you live there is losing the signal when bad weather happens which happens more than it should and they have the most annoying music playing on channels that are lost to weather.

Original review: May 13, 2018

I am referring to DirecTV now. The service is good providing your internet provider is decent. Interface is terrible though. But no added devices or service fees. Only extra costs are for upgrading to a higher channel package.

Original review: May 13, 2018

We have used Directv off & on for years. They recently changed their menu, channel selection etc. The fonts etc are small and we're old. So I asked about it and they said they understood that it was difficult to see. Then they said they were there for "us". I don't like the fact that their attitude was "Too bad". But until we can figure out a way to get the channels that have Nascar and other car shows, we're pretty much stuck.

Original review: May 13, 2018

Whether it’s cloudy or raining, I’ve had way too many issues. Customer care is almost nonexistent and costs are too high. Very unhappy with service. Many disruptions, and latency issues.

Original review: May 13, 2018

Set-up bundle package with AT&T. The company did not setup the account correctly. I was promised no installation fee, but was charged. I was promised a bundle deal price and was charge full price. Agent, Supervisors agreed the account was set up wrong, but stated could not resolve the issue. Telephoned DirecTv (part of AT&T company). They were not able to communicate with AT&T. After "weeks" of calling, and no resolution. I was able to cancel cable, home phone, but not the internet. Of course, I was expected to pay full price and the installation fee. My recommendation... "RUN as far from this company as possible!"

Original review: May 13, 2018

Over-priced satellite service where the public is CHARGED FOR SPORT SERVICE YOU DO NOT USE. Since AT&T bought them they are starting to use advertisements that you don't need SAT DISH. AT&T is probably making use of their existing cable TV.

Original review: May 13, 2018

I had AT&T internet with U-verse. Canceled internet because of hacking. Now bill is $180 a month just for TV. It's a terrible company. Never got help with internet. They wanted extra money, had people say they were Thecanation with AT&T only to be hacked. Had 5 people hooking it up then tried to say my new laptop was bad. It wasn't. Had to get extra protection. I had Spectrum. My husband had lost his job, was looking to cut back on bills. Made big mistake after saying satellite wouldn't work. Salesperson sold me AT&T U-verse, was told by AT&T after one bill increase they didn't bundle. I wasn't under contract for internet so canceled it.

Now saying they wanted $180 because my contract is up. I called. Someone was supposed to call me with a better way to afford my cable 2 week ago + still waiting. Worse customer service I've ever worked with. You see your internet is a separate policy from your TV so after talking to internet people you have to talk to AT&T U-verse people not connected together so one person says one thing about internet and another department deals with you TV part of bill but all on one bill.

DIRECTV expert review by ConsumerAffairs

With more than 39 million customers, DIRECTV is one of the largest providers of paid TV services. The company is headquartered in El Segundo, California, and it provides programming to customers through satellite transmissions.

• Exceptional customer service: The company is rated #1 in customer service compared to other cable and satellite TV providers, according to the American Customer Satisfaction Index.

• Never miss a game: The NFL Sunday Ticket ensures all subscribers can watch out-of-market games.

• Expansive HD catalog: DIRECTV has 195 HD channels, including AMC HD, ABC Family HD, Hallmark Channel HD, among many, many others.

• Record from any television: DIRECTV service comes with an HD Genie that records shows from up to eight televisions throughout a home or office.

• Watch from anywhere: Customers can enjoy family favorites and recorded shows using a mobile device with an Internet connection.

• Best for: Television fans who watch a range of programs and customers with special interests.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs