3.04/5
Based on 5,139 ratings submitted in the last year

DIRECTV

For years, DIRECTV has been committed to providing the greatest digital television experience to over 37 million customers in both the U.S and Latin America. Every aspect of our company is centered on bringing each customer state-of-the-art service.

We understand that it is important to our customers that they work with a company that respects and understands their wants and needs, which is why DIRECTV’s employees are trained and ready to assist and answer any of your digital television needs. For the #1 satellite TV service in the country, choose DIRECTV.

View More View More

16710 DIRECTV Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 20, 2019

Received a message saying my payment was declined. When I finally got someone to talk to me he said my debit card expired 7 months ago. I had my card and told him it didn't expire for another year and if they show it's been expired for 7 months how were they able to continue taking out payments. He said I don't know. I had to reset my autopay. My payment keeps going up and service goes down. Right now my shows keep freezing up and the tect wants to know what kind of TV I have. Really ready for a change.

Original review: April 20, 2019

After AT&T has taken over, the customer service has gone downhill very much! I have been with DirecTV 15yrs+ and now cannot get decent help on basic change of package, or billing. When we finally get to speak with someone, then ask or another dept. it is as if we do not exist. Our account info is not transferred to them so we have to re-establish ability to get things changed on our account. An hour wasted on 4-5 calls into them & they still don't get it. They repeat the same things over & over as if they didn't hear what we said!

We canceled prem pkg before the free period ended. We were told to pay the lower amount. Then we get a bill for the difference which they confirmed was our balance due now. We asked if this would be deducted from next bill and why it was still a balance if we paid what we were told and canceled in time? Then we're told: "If you pay this amount now it will not be on your next bill." Tried again (3rd or 4th attempt) to get "customer Retention" now 55mins later and was asked to identify self/account again!!! Time for another TV service or rabbit ears!

Get expert buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 20, 2019

Called service on 4-18-19 to cancel service as of 4-26-19 as we are moving. Got hard sell on transferring service and not canceling. When I said no they immediately cancelled my service on 4-18. Spent the next 6 hours on the phone trying to get it resolved, got hung up on 3 times, transferred to 8 diff people, given 4 diff phone numbers to call and yet no one could undo their mistake. To date no service has been restored. I will never use AT&T again.

Original review: April 20, 2019

Was having trouble with DirecTV. Was told a technician would be here between 4 & 8 pm. It’s10:23 and no one has showed up or called. Was asking for help online, I got a request to sign up for autopay. REALLY?

Original review: April 19, 2019

My mother and I each have our own accounts and have been with DIRECTV for over 25 years. I have three receivers and more channels, including HBO. She has no movie channels and a lesser package but pays $35 more per month. New customers pay less and get more, so don't be fooled if you are a new customer. We have called and asked for promotions, discounts, the same packages, etc. and are told that what you get depends on the representative you get and the promotions that are available.

We called five times today and got five different answers. Three of those five calls were dropped with no return call. Representatives in the Retention Department who went by the names of "Rose" and her supervisor(?), "Brian" laughed at us, eavesdropped on our personal conversation while we were on hold, and refused to give any discounts. After calling again, we got a $45 discount from a much more professional person. My mother accepted the discount but will be calling Dish Network. It's not worth the hassle, price discrimination, and terrible customer service. As for "Rose" and "Brian," they will get what's coming when DIRECTV is out of business and they are out of jobs.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DIRECTV?

Original review: April 19, 2019

I have a major billing problem, to which I called a Shirley ** at the office of the ATT President, she had helped me in the past, and she responded by putting another worker on it, but she is lazy. Doesn't get back, lies about calling or trying to get me. It's about the problems of my bill which Shirley put someone on it because it is way out of the agreement. Please direct me to the right place, thank you for your time.

Original review: April 19, 2019

The worst thing I ever did was get DIRECTV. We had Dish TV for 9 years with almost absolutely no problems. Our cell phones are with AT&T and they talked us into switching to DirecTV again. The biggest mistake I have ever made. We constantly do not have any cable. Everything we record has free screens or lost signal. Could not finish recording for the last five days. We have not had any cable. Just the code seven seven one without any weather. Technician won't come until Sunday which means four more days of no cable TV. Three different series that we are watching we have not been able to see any of the episodes. Contract ends in July. I am definitely canceling and we'll never get DIRECTV again as long as I live.

Original review: April 18, 2019

We live in Northwest and winter in AZ. We take DTV transmitters between our two residences, or to our RV. All we normally do is call DTV to change service area so we can get local channels. Today back in NW, took 1 hour 45 minutes and transfers to 5 different representatives just to transfer to local service. Representatives are incompetent and do not speak or understand English! Truly believe service has declined since AT&T took over. we DO NOT recommend DirecTV!

Original review: April 18, 2019

Terrible. Customer service was terrible. When we tried to cancel and return equipment it became a fiasco. Called customer service three different times to send back equipment. Three times they told us they would send us a package to ship it back to them. They never did. I tried to take it back to their store but they refused to take it! Finally went online to see that I had to take it to FedEx myself! Why didn't the Outsourced help just tell me that in the first place?! NEVER AGAIN!

Original review: April 17, 2019

My husband was approached by someone in Walmart selling DirecTV. He was told tv, internet and phone was going to be $106... which was great! They came out and said they could not do the internet or phone.... Ok fine. They said that only Spectrum covered our area. They disconnected our internet to hook up their equipment. Never said anything about it - we found out when Spectrum came to fix it. They used Spectrum's equipment to connect their equipment!!! We ended up cancelling DirecTV and they said it would be 480.00. Let them know the situation and they said that there were no notes!! They didn’t know who sold me the DirecTV or the tech and they couldn’t do anything about it!!! Oh and that the ugly dish would have to stay and I could call a third party to come and take it off!!!

Original review: April 17, 2019

The phone setup is abysmal. Called tech support, this process took 4 attempts (automated service kept redirecting to inactive extensions), was on hold for 32 minutes. Tried from different phone, connected under 5 minutes while the other phone was STILL on hold. Explained issue to tech, unable to solve. Told it was probably an issue with dish or coax, wanted to send a tech. Researched issue online while tech was scheduling, found the channel I had lost was now in a different package. Subscription issue. Asked to be transferred to dept to schedule disconnect, sent to another inactive extension. Called back, canceled my account.

Original review: April 16, 2019

Don't waste your time or money. We had AT&T years ago and left because they were liars and only wanted money and screwed us over. We were DirecTV customers until last week. We used to love them and then they joined up with AT&T. Ever since quality of service, amount paid for service and customer service plummeted hardcore. Do anything and everything you can to avoid this company for any type of service. If that's not possible then record everything they say to you because they will screw you over too...

Original review: April 16, 2019

Dish Network doesnt have HBO and Game of Thrones anymore. Was willing to switch to get DirecTV. Talked to rep. Had program plan all set. Directv said it would be 1st week in May. Told them that was too late and Game of Thrones would about be over, so 'cancel it'. Rep said ''let me look'... aha, have an opening 2 days later for install on April 12th. I said ok then, I will take it. DirecTV the next day said they couldnt do it and cancelled installation. I called them and was mad and they said earliest was 1st week in May again. I said ''CANCEL IT ALL THEN''... DirecTV said they will check and see if they can get me in sooner. Like a dummy, I said "ok''. Bingo, they said they could get me in on the 15th of April, Monday, 4 days later, and we set up a time slot. Said I would get a $100 Visa gift card for my 'troubles'.

Come the 15th, Monday, I check my At&t acct, looking to make sure they were coming, and it says ''I'' cancelled the installation! WHAT!!?? NO CALL OR NOTICE by them. I would have been waiting 4 hours... Why the hell would ''I'' cancel it?? I called again, very upset. 1st rep said ''there isnt an installation time set for the 15th'', ''you sure it isnt the 5th of May as our records show''?? ''YOU SURE''?? NO INFO EVEN IN SYSTEM FOR THE 15TH INSTALL NOW. All info about set up and installation is now erased by them. I hang up.

I call again and different rep says they cancelled it because there wasnt a time slot to do the installation! WHY the hell make appts Directv if you can't keep them and do installation?? I post on internet about very bad service and a AT&T SOCIAL MEDIA TEAM member PM me, asking for info and to contact him. SO HERE WE GO AGAIN. I EXPLAIN the 2 cancelled installations by them and we go thru everything. He gets all, after an hour, and says he can ''see'' how fast he can get me in since he has installation info that the other reps don't have. So we go thru package and prices and I agree, then he says ''the earliest I can get it installed is now the 17th of May," 2 days later than before... I said no, and will not get it, he says let me look and see if I can get you a quicker date tomorrow... hmmmmmm.

Original review: April 15, 2019

We have had DirecTV for over 10 years. 14 days ago our box quit working. I called in and was told that my box was so old it would need to be replaced so they scheduled a technician to come out but not for 5 days. That day my husband stayed home, without pay, waiting. Nothing. No call, no show. I called and they told me 3 different reasons as to why no one showed, none legit.

They rescheduled for 3 days later. Same thing, no call no show. I called again. Got transferred 3 different times and received 4 different reasons as to why no one showed, again nonlegit and one an out and out lie. The last person I got said that I had called and cancelled. By that time I had talked to 2 other people and had been on the phone for 45 minutes, none of them mentioned this bold face lie. I told her it was a lie and that if in fact it said that in there that person should be fired. I told her I was sick of being lied to and sick of waiting around for someone to come and fix my system so to cancel my account. She wanted me to give them one more try. Her lie about me calling in was the last straw. No, I said, cancel my account. That took 25 minutes to just get her to do that much for me, arguing the entire time.

The next day I turned the TV on, to the 1 channel we could watch mind you, the Weather Channel, and lo and behold the service was still on. A few hours later DirecTV called to reschedule my appointment. They called again today twice. I then had to take more time off of work to call them back and insist they cancel my account. This is no way for anyone to be treated.

Original review: April 15, 2019

Lousy slow slow Genie which often shuts down. Overpriced. Only have it because I me and wife aren't fans of the local football teams so only way to watch is with DirecTV. SHAME on NFL and kudos for DirecTV to spend billions on NFL knowing most people would leave their overpriced underperforming service if they could watch what football team they wanted. HATE DirecTV. Makes Comcast look not so bad. RIDICULOUS.

Original review: April 15, 2019

I have been a DirecTV customer since 2002. This Feb., 2018 I upgraded 3 of my TVs to the Genie. The definition is subpar despite having the display set to the higher display setting. The TV display resolution for my kitchen TV which still has my old DirecTV box is great. I have more incidences of the mouth movement & audio being out of sync now with the Genie. When I spoke with a rep. about upgrading to the Genie, not once did the rep tell me I would have to enter into a new 2 yr. contract. I have made several calls requesting a manager and have been on hold so long that the call drops. I have held as long as 49 min. without ever reaching a manager and then the call drops.

Prior to AT&T buying DirecTV, they used to be the best in the industry for service and customer support, now they are the worst. Not to mention, when I call in to DirecTV now, I'm asked by their phone rep. if AT&T is my cell phone provider. No, and they never will be is the answer to that question! I am on hold yet again trying to get through to their customer service.

Original review: April 15, 2019

I have been a Directv customer for over 3 years and have been bundling my service with AT&T phone and high speed internet. At this point I cannot even calculate the number of hours that I have spent on the phone trying to resolve billing issues. It is hands down the worst company I have ever encountered as far as billing and service on the phone. Get ready for lots of unsolicited phone calls trying to trick you into adding channels as well. These companies should be ashamed. All of the support is handled overseas as well. Do yourself a favor and stay FAR away from these companies.

Original review: April 15, 2019

I have been a Directv customer since 2003 and had set up a direct payments every month. I was never late. About 4/12/19 I needed my dish to be secured because of the wind had moved it. I called Directv and they set up a service appointment for me. I get a confirmation email and 3 different text messages reminding me for the time and the day of the appointment. I wait all day and NO ONE SHOWED UP. I called and I was told that the technician was busy and they won’t be able to make it. OKAY. I scheduled a next day appointment. I get an email and 3 text messages to confirm and same f thing NO ONE SHOWED UP AGAIN.

I call and I was told by a supervisor that no one was available to come. OKAY... He scheduled me for the next day and I was promised that a supervisor personally will come to get the Dish fixed. I got the usual email and 3 text messages to confirm. I waited the next day and NO ONE SHOWED UP??? I called and I was told the supervisor was not able to make it. NOW I GOT TO SAY. The services people are not Directv people. They are private contractors. Their manager are people who can barely SPEAK ENGLISH. They get a lots of money from Directv to provide services for the costumes but they DONT. They lie to you and make up stories. I CALL AND DISCONNECTED MY SERVICES AFTER 16 YEARS. I was very disappointed. Never ever get Directv again in ALBANY NY.

Original review: April 14, 2019

I have attempted twice to switch to DirecTV in the last four months. The first time I gave them three weeks to install the dish and all of the boxes. I took off from work the day of install. DirecTV was supposed to show up between 8AM-12PM. By 1 PM I called to see where the tech was. I was told that he should be there within the hour. After two more hours I called again. Again I was told the tech was 20 minutes out. I finally got an email canceling the appointment and rescheduling for the next day. That was not possible since I had to go back to work. So I scrapped the installation altogether.

This past Saturday I decided to try and give it another attempt. I ordered everything online and set up the installation for Monday. I took off Monday so I could be home for the installation. I was just notified that they moved it to Tuesday. I called customer service, and again they gave me the runaround. They disconnected me two times. After an hour on the phone, they told me there was nothing they could do and since I had an issue with Tuesday, they let that appointment go as well. So nothing was available until later in the week. It might be the worst customer service I have ever seen - way to go ATT you're doing a great job.

Original review: April 14, 2019

I was promised to get Michigan Local channels. I could only get Toledo Ohio channels. On Saturday 4/13/2019. I stayed on the phone with DirecTV for also 6 hours without anything done!! I was called a liar, I was yelled at, I was disrespected, called stupid and I was told I was not hearing the right facts that’s why I’m in this mess. This is my fault!! Now, I’ve have been on the phone with DirecTV for 8 hours 4/13/2019. Trying to get this company to replace my equipment they took out. They are refusing. I now have to pay out $300.00 to have my previous company to come out and replace the equipment and service. I have a disability veteran who only watches TV, Will be without service for 2 days because of DirecTV. I want DirecTV pay me back my $300.00 plus the 2 days that my Son has been without service and a apology for their telling their service does covers my area.

Original review: April 14, 2019

Updated on 04/16/2019: This is a follow-up to my previous review at: https://www.consumeraffairs.com/cable_tv/directv.htm?review=5172355#review-5172355. This company continues to be completely unwilling to assist me. I called them again to resolve my issue. The automated system, even though I gave them the account number for DirecTV, sent me to the AT&T cellular department. After explaining what I was calling for, the rep asks what service I am calling for. I said DirecTV, in which I was told I was going to be transferred to the DirecTV Billing. Call transfers, rings, hangs up. So I call back. Again greeted by the automated system. Get to a a rep. Explain my issue. They ask for the account number, I provide it. They ask me to verify the address, I do that, then I am told that I must verify my account using a 4-digit PIN. I never put a 4-digit PIN on the account. It was not there the last 4 times I called in, it shouldn't be there now.

Exasperated, I explain my situation, again, and that I just want this issue resolved. I ask for a supervisor or manager and I was denied. The rep states that she won't be able to help me and that I should be in another department and transfers me... I get someone else... And guess what, I have to explain my situation again, and I am again told that I must verify my account with a 4 digit PIN. Again I explain that I did not put this PIN on the account and that it needs to be removed. My frustration was getting the better of me, and I felt so horrible for the rep I was talking to, she was crying on the phone. She was able to verify my account through other methods and we got the PIN updated.

Unfortunately, I was again told that I was in the wrong department, and that I would need to be transferred. I asked who was being transferred to, I was told, "another department" and was told the same thing when I asked what department is that? Then I am told I am being transferred now, then the line goes silent... then she comes back and says, "Thanks you for choosing AT&T," then I go back in to the transfer, guess you have to keep those call scores up. Transfer completes, and I have to provide the account number, name, address. And lo and behold, the PIN, luckily that worked this time.

I explain my whole situation, AGAIN. I also explain that the bill I have has an extra box, and that this was probably due to someone not removing it from my account, even though I shipped the old one back. The rep, as if he didn't even hear the complaint states, all I need to do is take the equipment to a UPS store and they will handle it. I stated, "No, I will not take something I am being charged $300 for to the UPS store, so you can tell me I never sent it." I argued my case and I now have a escalation ticket open, after 2.5 hours of my day wasted. Mind you, the last time I had an escalation case, I was told I would be contacted in 7-10 business days by Phone and Email. That never happened and the case was closed due to "Customer Negligence" So we will see how this time goes.

Original Review: We moved temporarily to a rural area and needed TV service. We planned on being at this house for about 2 years until our new place was ready. We opted for DirecTV, since there was a 1 year special pricing with 2 year agreement... Ordering and installation went without a hitch and I was pleased with the service. About 8 months in one of the boxes encountered an issue. I went to the online chat, and service again seemed to be great. They sent me a new box with a return box for the faulty equipment, which I promptly dealt with.

The time came for us to move, which happened sooner than expected, but I continued to pay the bill until I reached the 2 year mark... And this is where it all goes south. I call to cancel service. I am informed that when I exchanged my faulty box, someone reset my contract (mind you I had the $20/mo hardware insurance from the start), I explained that I never agreed to having that done and that's shady business. They stated they would investigate and get back to me... Never got a call. Due to traveling, I didn't have the time or resources to call them, so I let a few months pass, and tried to call them again. I explained the previous issue and they reported the last ticket was closed due to "Customer Negligence". WOW, really?! I explained that I would just like cancel service... At which point I am informed that at my last call, my contract was also reset, and there are still 6 months left on it.

After almost losing my cool, the rep states that he will cancel the contract and credit me the ETF... And that he will be sending me a box via USPS to send back the equipment. Before hanging up, I verified the shipping address was the new house.... Box never came. Now I have a bill for over $300 for unreturned equipment. Also, there is an added box, probably the one that was returned they never credited me for. Avoid this company at all costs!!

Original review: April 14, 2019

Been transferred around 7 times and each transfer had to go through verifying customer information. Each transfer I’ve asked to cancel my service and at the end of each conversation, I was told that I need to be transferred again to Cancellation Dept. I thought the people I’ve spoken to were from that department because that’s what I asked from the beginning. Still on the phone with them after 3 hours and still waiting to be transferred to another Cancellation Dept rep. This is painful!!!! I can't get them to cancel my service!!!! I tried asking for managers but each time, they refused. Customer Service from HELL!!!!

Original review: April 13, 2019

I have been without service for two days. I called DirecTV and they check from their office and said they have to send a technician. They will want to charge me $99.00 for the technician or force me to take an additional protection service for and extra monthly payment. So be aware if you have DirecTV they will try to steal you money any way they can. If something in their system breaks you are out of luck unless you pay them more or add another change to your account. I will not recommend this company to anybody.

Original review: April 13, 2019

Today I called to ask why I have had Cinemax for the last two weekends, I was told that all of DirecTV's subscribers get it for free every weekend. I told them to remove it because I have a moral objection to ** and I do not want it broadcast in my home. They said I have no choice. Why can't they do anything right?

Original review: April 13, 2019

We have been with DirecTV for several years now. In the beginning, it was an excellent service - with only a few minor complaints - and we were happy to have it. The pricing of the first year through Costco was really nice. HOWEVER, for the past 6 or 8 months, the service has gone down the tubes - horribly. The shows and movies constantly freeze. It is ALWAYS very irritation, but it is EXTRA irritating when I pay extra for a movie rental and miss chunks of dialogue because of the freezing! This freezing is incessant and happens every single time I watch TV, and honestly, I watch very little TV. Service tells us it's a software glitch and they are working on it, but seriously, it is easily going on a year of this "glitch," and I am ready to change services! I DO NOT RECOMMEND DirecTV!

Original review: April 12, 2019

After being a customer for 10 years we decided to bundle our services with AT&T phone and internet. We did so over the phone but when AT&T failed to provide the phone and internet we had to cancel. DirecTV then charges us cancellation fee even though it was AT&T that failed in their commitment. The phone supervisor refuses to cancel the charge and referred me to https://billing.directtv.com/ which Firefox says: Firefox detected a potential security threat and did not continue to billing.directtv.com. If you visit this site, attackers could try to steal information like your passwords, emails, or credit card details. Don't give them your business.

Original review: April 12, 2019

Can’t believe it. I’m paying $150 per month for this crap! Normally I tolerate it but this week DTV has overdone itself. I have Golf Channel on my package; I want to watch Masters...all I get are talking idiots telling me about what I’m not seeing “live”... BUT...if I .pay more $$$$$ and they’ll hook me up to channel? 704? To watch it. OR worse yet wait until evening and watch the recorded version AFTER you’ve already heard about results on radio & afternoon news/sportscast. Really hating DTV. Like flushing $$$ down toilet and what the heck. How many infomercial channels can they actually throw at us. No one in their right mind watches that crap. If they do, charge them $$!) to watch it like **!!! We should get major sport events in all packages!!! Hate ATT & DTV.

Original review: April 12, 2019

We’ve been a customer for years. The prices goes up but, we’ve been able to contact them to get the price adjusted without losing services we wanted to keep. Today, I bought a new tv for my husband and he wanted to add 4K to our plan. I called and they told me we need to update our box and it would cost 399.00. So...I told them no thank you because that’s outrageous! We’ve had these boxes for three years. Anyway, I hung up disappointed. About half an hour later a manager called me. She said the representative I spoke to brought the situation to her attention and, after reviewing our account, they would like to offer us the upgraded equipment at no charge. We scheduled the installation date. I was honestly so surprised. Directv isn’t known for great service and we have had our ups and downs with them but, this went over and above. It was refreshing and so appreciated.

Original review: April 12, 2019

They have a policy that if you cancel and your billing cycle hasn’t ended they will charge you for the entire billing cycle even if you don’t use their service. This is unfair and overcharge to customers as if the early termination fees isn’t enough. They agreed to cancel my service effectively immediately when I complained but reminded me this was their policy.

Original review: April 11, 2019

DirecTV provides cable service at an initial lower cost, then after 1 year, increase the cost by almost 3x the price. I started out with $85/month and cancelled it when it was $220/mo. Way too much money for equipment that needs to be reset (remotes and boxes) on a weekly basis as well as service that goes out when it gets overly cloudy or snows. Had to rely on antenna TV to watch the Super Bowl one year.

In regards to the service, they do have a good system that shares a DVR between all of the boxes that is much better than what our cable company would offer. However, I found the same service quality using a couple different streaming services for about $70/month that I am satisfied with now. If your internet is provided by cable, then you are better off sticking with cable service or streaming instead of using DirecTV or DISH.

DIRECTV expert review by ConsumerAffairs

With more than 39 million customers, DIRECTV is one of the largest providers of paid TV services. The company is headquartered in El Segundo, California, and it provides programming to customers through satellite transmissions.

• Exceptional customer service: The company is rated #1 in customer service compared to other cable and satellite TV providers, according to the American Customer Satisfaction Index.

• Never miss a game: The NFL Sunday Ticket ensures all subscribers can watch out-of-market games.

• Expansive HD catalog: DIRECTV has 195 HD channels, including AMC HD, ABC Family HD, Hallmark Channel HD, among many, many others.

• Record from any television: DIRECTV service comes with an HD Genie that records shows from up to eight televisions throughout a home or office.

• Watch from anywhere: Customers can enjoy family favorites and recorded shows using a mobile device with an Internet connection.

• Best for: Television fans who watch a range of programs and customers with special interests.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs