3.9/5 (1963 ratings)

About DIRECTV

DIRECTV is a direct broadcast satellite provider that transmits to homes throughout the United States and the Caribbean. There are many different packages to choose from, each offering a variety of features, channels and DVR options. It's important to note that DIRECTV requires a two-year contract, and most customers experience an increase in prices after the first year.

Pros

• Various programming options
  • Easy to relocate with
  • Multiple packages available

Cons

• Costly to cancel
  • Price increases after first year

Bottom Line

DIRECTV is a leader in satellite broadcasting. The company’s services are ideal for people who want a lot of options for TV channels, features and packages.

Top DIRECTV Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I did a lot of research and finally decided to try AT&T DirecTV. From the very beginning, signing on, installation of equipment, and answering any question I had, the service I re...

Verified

We have been with DirecTV for many years and we on occasion will need a DirecTV service tech to help us out. We contacted DirecTV and they sent a Service Tech out to us named Pat ...

DIRECTV packages

DIRECTV has many different channels but understands that customers have very specific wants and needs when it comes to programming options. The company offers a variety of packages with multiple features, channels and DVR options. DIRECTV has six different plans:

• Select: A budget-friendly option with basic channels. Customers can access 155 channels.
  • Choice: A great option for families that has a variety of different program preferences. Customers can access 185 channels.
  • Entertainment: A good choice for sports lovers. Customers can access 160 channels.
  • Xtra: The company’s most popular package. Customers can access 235 channels.
  • Ultimate: Ideal for movie lovers. This comprehensive package gives customers access to 250 channels.
  • Premier: Gives you every option you need for an all-inclusive TV watching experience. Customers can access 330 channels.

DIRECTV has multiple extras and add-ons you can add to your plan. This includes premium channels like HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, The Outdoor Channel, NBA League Pass, NFL Sunday Ticket and DogTV.

DIRECTV prices

The six plans come in at different price points. Installation and DVR hookups are included in your package, but you pay $7 a month and a $99 installation fee if you want additional receivers. There is also a $9.99 a month regional sports fee.

Prices for individual packages are:

• Select: Plans start at $59 a month
  • Choice: Plans start at $69 a month
  • Entertainment: Plans start at $64 a month
  • Xtra: Plans start at $79 a month
  • Ultimate: Plans start at $84 a month
  • Premier: Plans start at $134 a month

While DIRECTV offers great introductory offers, you must sign a two-year contract, and rates increase in the second year. Be sure to ask about second-year pricing before signing a contract. If you want to cancel your plan early, you must pay $20 per month for every month left on the contract.

Other fees to be aware of include a $99 fee when a technician must be dispatched to make repairs. You can put your streaming services on hold until you return home if you’re going on vacation, but there's a $7 a month charge. There is also a $19.95 activation fee.

The company charges $4.25 if you are late paying your bill. You must return your equipment if you cancel your service — if you choose to keep it, you'll end up paying anywhere between $45 and $135 to cover the costs.

DIRECTV FAQ

Can you get internet through DIRECTV?
DIRECTV doesn’t provide internet service directly, but it offers internet services through AT&T.
How much does DIRECTV really cost?
DIRECTV plans range from $49 to $125 a month, plus service fees and installation.
Is DIRECTV better than cable?
DIRECTV has better equipment and technology than many basic cable providers, and it tends to offer more channels.
What is the best DIRECTV package?
It depends on how much TV you watch and what channels you want. The Entertainment package is best for sports lovers, while the Choice option has a lot of family-friendly options. The best package for you varies based on your budget and your TV preferences.

Is DIRECTV good?

In 2019, over 16 million people across the country subscribed to DIRECTV. While channel options and DVR capabilities are a plus, the significant price increase after the first year and challenging cancellation process may discourage people from committing to DIRECTV. Be sure you completely understand your contract before committing to DIRECTV’s services.

DIRECTV Reviews

Over 10k reviews since 2012

Original review: Nov. 15, 2022

My bill reflected an increase. The customer service representative was professional, kind, and helpful. My ongoing discount was restored and without an increase in my blood pressure! Thanks for this rare experience!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2022

My Directv receiver has been turning off automatically/sporadically for over a week. 4 times just today! I called the cust. service #, spoke to a man named Vin...he seemed helpful until he said he would need to send a technician to my home to fix or replace my receiver...at a cost of $99.!! or $8.00/mo for a protection plan. Are they nuts? This is not my equipment, I've been a cust for over 20 yrs, he had the nerve to say I was a valued customer... wonder how they treat their customers who aren't yet valued??

Get buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2022

Ordered package deal from ATT and Directv. Directv charged our CC and never showed up to install. Claimed they didn't have the equipment to complete installation. They charged our credit card and are still trying to charge each month. Explained to their customer service and nothing was done. Customer service personnel was extremely rude. Had to go through credit card to have charges stopped and removed. Terrible company.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2022

I called DirecTV's customer retention number to see what could be done to lower my bill. The package I had is no longer available. So, the new package with discounts would lower my monthly bill by $10 (for 12 months). Wow! Oh, but then the new package has a regional sports fee of $7.80 that they forgot to mention! My old plan didn't have that. So, now I am at a whopping $2.20 per month in savings. My bill last month with AT&T internet and landline was $193.86. I just got my new bill with my $2.20 savings, $232.95. That math doesn't work. After an hour on the phone, I was told they were all legit charges and they didn't really care if I have been with AT&T/DIRECTV for 15 or so years. So arrogant. They explained that the difference was the prorate from the previous month, bla, bla, bla. This time next month I will have a new provider or just cut the cord completely!

Original review: Oct. 27, 2022

Have had DIRECTV for several years when AT&T discontinued my U-Verse, always have had bad or no reception during overcast or rainy days. I have complained several times and they send out a technician (want to charge me for the service call) and the technician does not find any issues. The last time the technician told me that they have a new system, Genie 2 and I should call to get it supplied. I called and they wanted to charge me for the equipment and make me commit to a 2 year obligation. I recently called again and they want to charge me to upgrade to a better system (I do not know if it is better) and still hold me to the 2 year obligation. They have defective equipment, poor service and want me to pay for it. What kind of business is that. I know that I can switch to another company but cable TV is losing customers every day, they should want to keep loyal customers, but they do not care.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2022

Ordered the free week deal. Cancelled my subscription “2 Days” before my deadline was up. Have screenshots to prove it. I never trusted DirecTV after what some family and friends have said. That’s why I just went with the free deal, for starters. So, I get a message from my bank saying, “my bank account went into the negative”, my phone just got turned off and my bank account, over-drafted. What happened…. DirecTV took my money out, without my permission and even though I cancelled.

Ok, so, that’s not the fun part. I get in touch with them online and they say that I never cancelled. Even though I have the screenshots?? Why? No at DirecTV knows. I even tried to send them the screenshots of me cancelling, but they don’t care. So, now, they say, “They can’t cancel me online and I have to call an agent.” Even though I just explained to them, my phone got turned off. They were very rude and misleading at the least. D.O.N.T. do business with DirecTV. They screwed my money, day, and need to find an online streaming service!! They are thieves!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2022

I called to get satellite service, they collected $19.95 as a deposit. Technician said I couldn’t have, because of my location and trees in the way. This was Dec 23, 2021 to this day and several calls later, I still have not received my $19.95 back, it’s the point!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2022

Our experience with DirecTV is that it is EXPENSIVE and doesn't work all the time. We cut the cord and are streaming now. I took the equipment to UPS to return and the clerk looked me dead in the eye and with all seriousness said, "Keep this receipt forever in a safe place. They tell all their customers that they didn't receive the equipment and they'll charge you for it later...years later." I thought he was kidding but kept the receipt. Sure enough, a few months later, I get a call to return the equipment.

I emailed DirecTV the receipt and didn't hear anything until I got a call from COLLECTIONS! I sent THEM the receipt too and politely told them I hope they still got paid from DirecTV. YEARS later, my husband went to AT&T to transfer his phone and THEY said, "You have an outstanding account with DirecTV on your credit" so he PAID the account in full and told me later. This company is SHADY, SNEAKY and should be INVESTIGATED! Do yourself a favor and use ANY company other than DirecTV. If you do, just keep it forever or keep the equipment since you'll be charged for it anyway.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2022

Money aside, DIRECTV is a perfectly fine service, particularly if you live in an area without fiber to the home. That said, the pricing is an absolute, insane joke. Just do 10 minutes of research on other streaming services. Apple TV, Hulu, Vudu, Amazon, etc. DIRECTV is simply not a competitive offering. They are unapologetic for their gouging and their only attempt at lowering your monthly is to limit your content. Their days are numbered if they don't find a way to be competitive. Oh, and if the Customer Success team tries to route you to the VIP desk after you cancel, just hang up. They provide zero service and offend you with lackluster bundles that again, don't compare to the available streaming alternatives.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2022

8 hours of my time. I essentially debugged their system. I wanted to send them an invoice for my time, they refused to give me an address to send the invoice. DirecTV outsources their customer service and provides inadequate training and delegates no authority to their CSRs. You have to go up several layers to get anybody who can do things. That takes days, not minutes. I have 8 hours into something that should have taken 10 minutes.

DIRECTV Company Information