3.9/5 (1967 ratings)

About DIRECTV

DIRECTV is a direct broadcast satellite provider that transmits to homes throughout the United States and the Caribbean. There are many different packages to choose from, each offering a variety of features, channels and DVR options. It's important to note that DIRECTV requires a two-year contract, and most customers experience an increase in prices after the first year.

Pros

• Various programming options
  • Easy to relocate with
  • Multiple packages available

Cons

• Costly to cancel
  • Price increases after first year

Bottom Line

DIRECTV is a leader in satellite broadcasting. The company’s services are ideal for people who want a lot of options for TV channels, features and packages.

Top DIRECTV Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I did a lot of research and finally decided to try AT&T DirecTV. From the very beginning, signing on, installation of equipment, and answering any question I had, the service I re...

Verified

We have been with DirecTV for many years and we on occasion will need a DirecTV service tech to help us out. We contacted DirecTV and they sent a Service Tech out to us named Pat ...

DIRECTV packages

DIRECTV has many different channels but understands that customers have very specific wants and needs when it comes to programming options. The company offers a variety of packages with multiple features, channels and DVR options. DIRECTV has six different plans:

• Select: A budget-friendly option with basic channels. Customers can access 155 channels.
  • Choice: A great option for families that has a variety of different program preferences. Customers can access 185 channels.
  • Entertainment: A good choice for sports lovers. Customers can access 160 channels.
  • Xtra: The company’s most popular package. Customers can access 235 channels.
  • Ultimate: Ideal for movie lovers. This comprehensive package gives customers access to 250 channels.
  • Premier: Gives you every option you need for an all-inclusive TV watching experience. Customers can access 330 channels.

DIRECTV has multiple extras and add-ons you can add to your plan. This includes premium channels like HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, The Outdoor Channel, NBA League Pass, NFL Sunday Ticket and DogTV.

DIRECTV prices

The six plans come in at different price points. Installation and DVR hookups are included in your package, but you pay $7 a month and a $99 installation fee if you want additional receivers. There is also a $9.99 a month regional sports fee.

Prices for individual packages are:

• Select: Plans start at $59 a month
  • Choice: Plans start at $69 a month
  • Entertainment: Plans start at $64 a month
  • Xtra: Plans start at $79 a month
  • Ultimate: Plans start at $84 a month
  • Premier: Plans start at $134 a month

While DIRECTV offers great introductory offers, you must sign a two-year contract, and rates increase in the second year. Be sure to ask about second-year pricing before signing a contract. If you want to cancel your plan early, you must pay $20 per month for every month left on the contract.

Other fees to be aware of include a $99 fee when a technician must be dispatched to make repairs. You can put your streaming services on hold until you return home if you’re going on vacation, but there's a $7 a month charge. There is also a $19.95 activation fee.

The company charges $4.25 if you are late paying your bill. You must return your equipment if you cancel your service — if you choose to keep it, you'll end up paying anywhere between $45 and $135 to cover the costs.

DIRECTV FAQ

Can you get internet through DIRECTV?
DIRECTV doesn’t provide internet service directly, but it offers internet services through AT&T.
How much does DIRECTV really cost?
DIRECTV plans range from $49 to $125 a month, plus service fees and installation.
Is DIRECTV better than cable?
DIRECTV has better equipment and technology than many basic cable providers, and it tends to offer more channels.
What is the best DIRECTV package?
It depends on how much TV you watch and what channels you want. The Entertainment package is best for sports lovers, while the Choice option has a lot of family-friendly options. The best package for you varies based on your budget and your TV preferences.

Is DIRECTV good?

In 2019, over 16 million people across the country subscribed to DIRECTV. While channel options and DVR capabilities are a plus, the significant price increase after the first year and challenging cancellation process may discourage people from committing to DIRECTV. Be sure you completely understand your contract before committing to DIRECTV’s services.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DIRECTV?

Original review: Aug. 6, 2022

My parents have had DIRECTV for over 5 years now after being priced out of local cable options and there's only one cable provider. God I wish they had Fios in their area. So they have DirecTV and we've had the same equipment since the first install. The main genie box is in the living room and it's been fine until 2 weeks ago the volume stops working. If the volume is not working on the DirecTV but it's working on the Roku that tells me, an IT person, something's wrong with the DirecTV box.

Cue calling DirecTV today. They can try to help me program the remote via new technology to use the camera of my phone to look at the TV, that's actually a great technological advancement. But our TV brand's not in the list. We have codes, the internet has found plenty of digital code numbers that will allow us to sync our TV with various universal remotes and cable services. DirecTV system doesn't give you the option to enter a code you must pick the name of the brand from the list. Our brand is not on the list. The person on the phone proceeds to tell me to pick a different brand, like okay that's not our brand but I'll try it. It automatically searches codes. There's only one code to try. It doesn't work. Then I give her my logical deduction previously mentioned, what if it's the box that's not working?

In order to send someone to the house to investigate the box and possibly replacement it's going to be $99 unless my parents' showing protection plan for 8.99 a month. How dare you charge paying customers to give them support. My parents pay you over $1,500 every year for your satellite service. Your equipment has obviously broken because nothing's happened to our TV. It's still working on other devices, the HDMI cable has not moved. Nothing has damaged it. Obviously the box is old and has failed. But how dare you suggest you're going to charge us to investigate it. I would happily crack the thing open if I was an authorized technician but I'm not.

So here we are shilling out $9 a month for a protection plan that we may never have to use again. This happened to my parents with Optimum Cable too, had to start paying for a protection plan if we wanted anyone to come out to the house or was going to be $100 each time. How dare you take advantage of people in these rural areas who can't just bring the box to you for support. And can you imagine the elderly people who just want to be able to channel surf throughout the day and now it's not working? They certainly can't navigate the menus and you're going to charge them $100 a pop to send someone to help? Shame on you. And you charge an arm and a leg for such a long list of channels that has no entertaining content. I'll be switching my parents to YouTube TV within the year.

Original review: July 27, 2022

Wife got offered a deal by a sales lady at Costco. We switched over everything - tv / internet/ and cell service. Since then, it has been an absolute nightmare. Just spent 67 minutes on the phone with a supervisor in Idaho (I'm in Fresno Calif) - at the end, nothing accomplished. I have to call back in the morning and schedule the 3rd tech service call to my house. I could type hundreds of words on what has happened - hours on the phone etc. After months and two tech home service calls, the system still does not work. Just please, take my advice and do not do business with DirecTV - they will lie to your face - you will be as sorry as I am if you do.

Get buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 25, 2022

In early June of 2022, we had a lightning strike and lost a receiver in our main living room in which we watch most TV. The next appt was 10 days out. When we called we spent almost an hour on the phone with Tech support who agreed we needed a new receiver. When the tech (outsourced working for MasTech) arrived, he did not have a receiver and only check cables. After finding cables were fine, he advised, he didn't have a receiver and that we would have to make another service call. When I called, the next appt was a month out.

When the same tech came out a month later, he had the wrong receiver. When I asked, "How did you do that," he was VERY combative and said he did not do anything and that he was leaving. I literally begged him to stay, but he would not. So again, no receiver and no TV in our living room. When I called DTV to advise of what had happened and advise that I did not want that technician back to my home, I was advised that since he was a MasTec employee, they could not tell me who he was AND could not guarantee he would not be the tech to return even after I explained that I felt uncomfortable with this person coming into my home. Because of this, we cancelled our service after being a loyal customer of DTV for 20 years.

I spoke with MULTIPLE representatives including a manager named Will in the customer loyalty department at DTV and none could tell me that he would not return. We have since moved to Dish Network and the experience with their Tech associates and installation folks have been so different. The technician that came out was very invested in his employment and I could tell he was proud to work for Dish Network. This was the exact opposite of the experience we had with the MasTec (outsourced) employee that DTV sent.

Original review: May 13, 2022

I have consistently lose channels. They will not come out to fix. Pay for a premium sports package that is no longer available. Pay for two boxes one does not work and fighting to replace. This company sucks and customer service is terrible

Original review: May 10, 2022

This is by far the worst company in the country. Our government is sleeping. Anyone try calling their service department. All calls go to overseas Philippines. Their English is bad. It is at least 2 hours to get anywhere and then they will not answer anything. My internet is not working. I pay 250 dollars a month. So far I can't even find out why. This company should be shut down and CEO should be fired. The whole thing is horrible. Never seen anything like this in my life.

Original review: May 9, 2022

I canceled DirecTV over a year ago. They continued to call, offering me some 'great deals.' I contacted them and asked them to stop. They assured me multiple times the calls would stop. Over a year later I'm receiving 3 to 4 calls from them a day. I've allowed my voice-mail to fill up so they can't leave any more messages. Under no circumstances will I ever use AT&T/DirecTV again. I want this harassment to cease.

Original review: May 7, 2022

Yea so I have a 2 year contract that goes like this, $82.00 a month for 12 months and then BAM!!!, $132.00 a month for the next 12 months, really, for what… FOR WHAT??? I could see maybe an increase of $19.95, but an increase of $49.00 a month and absolutely nothing new, not even any lubrication!! You can bet I’m done with supporting this bunch come 2023!! Hello Dish!

Original review: May 4, 2022

Beware DirecTV charges you for services even after you cancel. My bill increased from 50.96 to 125.18 per month (because a promotion expired). I immediately called and canceled the service when I saw that bill. However, DirecTV said they could not prorate their next month’s charges based on when I canceled. As such they billed me for another full month at the high 125.18 rate even though I had canceled the service. This shows DirecTV has a business model of cheating its customers. Beware of promotions for when they come off they will make sure they get as much money from you as possible even if it means charging you for weeks after you cancel their service. Terrible company. Will never use again. Going to Sling TV.

Original review: April 29, 2022

I received the email indicating that equipment had not been returned when in fact, it had been returned. I have email proof and tracking proof. Once I found the correct tracking number (which was on a receipt that had the AT&T logo on it) the agent who I was talking to did not know what the tracking number meant. She called in her supervisor who also did not know what the tracking number meant. (because it had a letter in it) Once I figured out what the tracking number meant (a google search) and sent that information to AT&T they finally realized that the equipment had been returned.

When I asked why I got the email, I was told that everyone who cancels DirecTV gets the email. Part of the email that I received:
    Unfortunately, we either did not receive your DIRECTV STREAM device(s) within the 14-day cancellation period or the device(s) you returned is damaged. In accordance with our policy, you will be charged:
    • A non-return fee of $120 for the device(s) included in your service
    • The remaining balance of $120.00 owed on your installment planThe total payment of {$120 + remaining balance} will

be charged to the payment method on your account on 04/27/2022.

I was promised that my credit card account would not be charged. It was. I cancelled my service 3/15/2022 and returned the equipment on 3/15/2022 and I have proof of both.

Original review: April 29, 2022

I had a DIRECTV representative come to my home and informed me he could save me money if I switched my Internet provider to Century Link as well as add ADT to my home. He also informed me that I could keep my internet provider e-mail address and receive a $100 Visa gift card for having ADT in my home on March 12, 2022. I had Cox Internet and they informed me that my e-mail address will be suspended in 90 days so I had to switch to Gmail. They quoted me $214 to switch services and add ADT and the actual cost is $267.82 which is $53 more than quoted. They also have not sent me my $100 Visa gift card.

I have no problems with ADT (or with Century Link) but if you want the gift card deal directly with them and not DIRECTV. I called the contact number 1-800-645-0423 twice and was told I would be contacted in 24 hours. I have never been contacted. In my opinion, do not deal with DIRECTV for services other than with DIRECTV itself as they make promises they do not keep.

DIRECTV Company Information