Looking for a TV service provider?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

2.97/5
Based on 4,764 ratings submitted in the last year

DIRECTV

For years, DIRECTV has been committed to providing the greatest digital television experience to over 37 million customers in both the U.S and Latin America. Every aspect of our company is centered on bringing each customer state-of-the-art service.

We understand that it is important to our customers that they work with a company that respects and understands their wants and needs, which is why DIRECTV’s employees are trained and ready to assist and answer any of your digital television needs. For the #1 satellite TV service in the country, choose DIRECTV.

View More View More

17094 DIRECTV Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 12, 2019

We’ve been a customer for years. The prices goes up but, we’ve been able to contact them to get the price adjusted without losing services we wanted to keep. Today, I bought a new tv for my husband and he wanted to add 4K to our plan. I called and they told me we need to update our box and it would cost 399.00. So...I told them no thank you because that’s outrageous! We’ve had these boxes for three years. Anyway, I hung up disappointed. About half an hour later a manager called me. She said the representative I spoke to brought the situation to her attention and, after reviewing our account, they would like to offer us the upgraded equipment at no charge. We scheduled the installation date. I was honestly so surprised. Directv isn’t known for great service and we have had our ups and downs with them but, this went over and above. It was refreshing and so appreciated.

Original review: March 3, 2019

I love DirecTV, I actually read the fine print no one reads, the price advertised online is a special price eg, promo price 35/mo reg price 81. So price reverts to normal after deal if you pay your bill on time and keep the other things you need to keep the deal like auto bill pay and paperless. First late payment you lose specials. If you read the terms and conditions and the fine print there is no surprises. Also if you read the bill it is very detailed.

On signal I love it I had a storm blow through I had no signal interruption. I dont know why people say it's bad in a storm. I have never needed to call customer service. The self care portal through the website is wonderful. I've only had to use it twice but I fixed my issue myself and I like that. The service is great if you pay attention to customer agreement, your bill, and the fine print when you sign up. And of course it's expensive. It's the best one out there, if you cant deal with normal price being high you get good service.

Get expert buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

WE had called in a few times about getting a wire that we needed for our older T.v. and were sent 4 wrong wires by 4 different agents. And then the 5th time we called and we Got the greatest Customer service rep. She knew exactly what cable we were talking about and she sent it to use and we got it earlier than what she said that we would but we wanted to give her a great review. I give her all 10's. She did a great job. She was fast to answer the questions that we had and was able to pin point exactly what we needed so If her boss is able to see this you should give her something very nice. She stated that she had worked at the customer service for a long time. I wish I would have gotten her employee number so they would know who I was talking about. She is a great person. Thank you very much.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Superb image and sound quality. But the recent "upgrade" for the onscreen display and selection process is quirky at best and much harder to use than the previous displays. The hand-held controller is frequently slow to respond, entries are hit and miss, and some erroneous screens come up (e.g., when deleting a show from the DVR queue, the screen will often select another show altogether). Also, there are recurrent periods of screen drop-outs not related to weather or dish obstructions. Overall, the DirecTV OS is now painfully complex to use. And finally, it is very difficult to determine the actual channel line up for the bare "Family Plan" and to set up a default "Favorite Channels" selection list. Nothing is on the website for this plan. Browser searches return some lineup lists, but they are inaccurate. I still do not know what channels are actually included in the "Family Plan."

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I will be moving next week and I needed to transfer services to a new home. I spoke with Mitch, he went above and beyond. It took a while for updates on the computer so while we waited, we had great conversations. We spoke about jobs and children and life in general but the one thing that stands out was him mentioning to me that prayer is the number one thing that protects us. I know in this day and age a lot of people are afraid to bring up the topic. Afraid of rejection, afraid of retaliation or discrimination. I am so very grateful for our conversation about the Lord in a discrete manner. I'm usually the one witnessing to others. It was nice to have someone do it back to me. So Thank you Mitch for brightening my day. The lady with 6 kids. Lol.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DIRECTV?

Original review: Sept. 14, 2019

2 weeks ago my DVR quit working. DIRECTV scheduled a service appointment and didn't show up. When I called they denied having scheduled the appointment even though I had the order number. They rescheduled for today and did not show up. When I called they said they were just very busy and we had to reschedule for a week from today. Also two months ago they charged me $69.00 to replace a standard receiver box even though I pay monthly for service plan protection. I've called three times and they always say they will issue a credit, but they never have. In my opinion, if you can avoid doing business with them you should.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

My experience with DirecTV they offered me a plan for $37 a month plus tax. It kept soliciting me telling me and you can have HBO Showtime blah blah blah for free for 3 months. I told them I'm not interested. A month later they called me again for the same exact thing and they said to me, "Sir why don't you want it's for free." So I gave in. I said, "Okay let's do it." Two months go by. I had automatic withdrawal to pay the bill. I look on my statement and it's $169 taken out of my credit card instead of the 37 plus the tax. They did that for two consecutive months.

I went through hell to try to get the $320 back. Finally they credited me $269. I had to fight for the other one and what happened is they took me off the original plan that I had the $37. When you subscribe to them they will contact you. They will email you trying to sell and upgrade your service constantly. It's with no end. This is the worst company I've ever dealt with in my life and then when you try to talk to them they don't understand. They hang up on you. After you make them understand they hang up on you and they figure they got you by the nuts anyway.

I went with Dish Network. Cheaper price. They don't hassle you. They don't call you that don't try to sell you anything. These people are great. No nonsense every month. They take the bill out of my credit card. No extra charges, no up charges, no nothing and no I'm not selling Dish. I can give two craps about any of them rip off freaking companies but at least I didn't get shafted like I did with you at DirecTV. Just thought you know my name is Christos **.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

I signed up for DirecTV services at Costco and did enjoy the TV services. After several months the rate was going to start to go up. My local provider offered a contract buy out for the early termination fee. I advised Directv that I was going to cancel and requested my last bill that showed my early termination amount. I never received it, even after 5 to 6 attempts. The account went to collections and at this time they are holding it from going to collections. Even the collection company cannot get Directv to send the proper statement showing the early termination amount on an itemized bill. They have requested it on three different occasion, but once I receive the statement I never receive the correct one. I have been trying to clear this up for the last several months. Their customer service stated they cannot send me the bill showing the earlier termination. I do not recommend using DirecTV or AT&T since they are affiliated.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

I purchase DirecTV with the Sunday Ticket and Redzone in 2018. I was sold on the fact that nothing would change on my bill for 2 YEARS, and was told by Rainie in the Loyalty Dept. (I went to them after I ordered to ensure what I was told was true), as she informed me that since I was an AT&T Bundle with DirecTV, that I would definitely receive the 2 years unchanging bill with Free Sunday Ticket and RedZone. I even saved the time and date I was told this, and her name and she gave me her number for the Loyalty Dept. to ensure it would happen.

Well, as usual, it did not happen. The rates went up on my bill by $66.00, and no Sunday Ticket or Redzone. When I called, I was switched to 3 departments, including the Loyalty Dept., and they all said "Sorry" but not true. This is not the first time, now AT&T and Directv are scamming the public with promises they have no intention of keeping. Beware of anything they say, and get it in writing and e-mailed to you with specifics and names. Or you will regret it. I am canceling DirecTV and AT&T for my house and going to find an honest co.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

We were moving to a new home. We have been DirecTV customers for MANY years so I called the DirecTV move department to set up a date to install service at our new home two weeks in advance of our move. I was given an installation date, and told that they were waiving the moving fees. I also set up service directly with HughesNet for our Satellite Internet service which was supposed to bundle with DirecTV. I set up a date for HughesNet to install the Satellite internet, paid $69.98 directly to HughesNet for the service and set up installation with HughesNet for two days after the DirecTV installation.

When the DirecTV technician arrived on the installation date - four hours late - he informed us that he could not install our DirecTV because he did not have our HughestNet internet installed. We were never informed that there had to be internet to set up our DirecTV at our new home. He told us it was impossible and that we had to reschedule a new installation date. His name is Juan ** and he could hardly speak English. I called DirecTV and was told that the new installation date was going to be another 10 days later! We were advised that we had also been misinformed by Juan **, the technician that the service could not be hooked up without internet. We were told that he could have hooked it up without internet. Unfortunately, this "error" by the technician left us waiting for another 10 days for service at our new home.

After much discussion, the moving desk agent was able to get an installation date that was w/in 7 days of our move to our home. So, we asked the DirecTV move department to reinstate our service to our old home until the new installation date at our new home. At this time I was informed that they could NOT reinstate service to our old home since we had initiated a move order to our new home! This was not our fault since the technician had misinformed us about being able to hook up service w/o internet. I was told there was nothing they could do and could not reinstate our service, so I asked to speak to a supervisor since this was not our fault.

Jolene, the agent I had been speaking with from the move desk, never put on the supervisor, but said that she could try and talk with the "Back Office" desk to get our service reinstated because of the error by the technician and because it was going to be at least 7 days before they could hook up service at our new home. I was on the phone for THREE (3) hours waiting for the "Back Office" to reinstate our service at our old home! The entire time I was holding, I was told that I could not hang up, I had to wait on the line, and that it required my "cooperation" for the service to be reinstated! After three hours our service to our old home was reinstated.

Unfortunately, while reinstating our service, the agent at the Move Desk told me that they had cancelled our installation date for our HughesNet stating that because we had "forced" them to reinstate our service at our old home, and because we were bundling our services, that it meant that the HughesNet service date had to be rescheduled as well! HughesNet could not be rescheduled for another week and it was after the DirecTV installation was supposed to take place! I again informed the agent that the Technician had refused to install our DirecTV service w/o internet so this was backwards and was not going to work. At this stage, I was no longer patient and told the agent that I wanted this to be fixed, that they needed to call HughesNet and reinstate our original installation date. They said they could not do that.

To make matters worse, the move desk agent then put on a supervisor who said she had been listening to the call and asked to speak to my husband who was the main account holder - after hours and hours of talking to me about this issue! So, I put my husband on the line and at this point we were both extremely angry at how we had been treated by EVERYONE at DirecTV. It gets worse, because now the supervisor informs us that because the HughesNet service installation date had been changed by them, I now had to pay another $69.98 for the HughesNet service date change!! I told her, again, that I had already paid this to HughesNet, but she said that unless I paid another $69.98 they would cancel our request for service!! She also said that unless I listened to her read every word of the disclosures about the HughesNet service, she would cancel our request for service!!

I was forced, under duress to pay your DirecTV Supervisor to reinstate my HughesNet service request, even though I had already paid it once! I was told that the only thing I could do was request a refund from HughesNet for my original service request. She also said she could not lose her job over this issue, so I had to cooperate with her. At this point, I decided to call the HughesNet technician to let them know my issue with DirecTV. They showed that our original date of installation was still confirmed, but they also now showed that DirecTV had booked another new account under our name and another new installation date! This clearly seems to be a violation of Fair Consumer laws and a violation of FCC consumer regulations. It seems quite clear that the DirecTV agent was trying to rebook service completely so that she could get credit for the sale.

HughesNet showed up on time at our original installation date, but I had to spend more time on the phone with HughesNet accounting to explain the double booking and to explain why I had to get a refund for paying twice! They were extremely apologetic for the lack of service I received from DirecTV. That is an apology I have never received from DirecTV. Our new service is scheduled to be installed tomorrow. I have requested that Juan ** not be the technician. My husband and I both took days off of work to be available for the technicians. I pray that our service will be installed as requested, but I now have a complete lack of confidence in DirecTV. Unfortunately, they are the only source of TV service in our area or I would cancel my service completely. M

DIRECTV expert review by ConsumerAffairs

With more than 39 million customers, DIRECTV is one of the largest providers of paid TV services. The company is headquartered in El Segundo, California, and it provides programming to customers through satellite transmissions.

• Exceptional customer service: The company is rated #1 in customer service compared to other cable and satellite TV providers, according to the American Customer Satisfaction Index.

• Never miss a game: The NFL Sunday Ticket ensures all subscribers can watch out-of-market games.

• Expansive HD catalog: DIRECTV has 195 HD channels, including AMC HD, ABC Family HD, Hallmark Channel HD, among many, many others.

• Record from any television: DIRECTV service comes with an HD Genie that records shows from up to eight televisions throughout a home or office.

• Watch from anywhere: Customers can enjoy family favorites and recorded shows using a mobile device with an Internet connection.

• Best for: Television fans who watch a range of programs and customers with special interests.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs