DIRECTV

For years, DIRECTV has been committed to providing the greatest digital television experience to over 37 million customers in both the U.S and Latin America. Every aspect of our company is centered on bringing each customer state-of-the-art service.

We understand that it is important to our customers that they work with a company that respects and understands their wants and needs, which is why DIRECTV’s employees are trained and ready to assist and answer any of your digital television needs. For the #1 satellite TV service in the country, choose DIRECTV.

Compare Cable & Satellite TV Providers

Research top Cable & Satellite TV Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews

I recently called customer service to seek help as my remote wouldn't work (red light on). Customer service rep told me I'd have to pay $99.00 service fee or $49.00 for a new remote. He never suggested any help suggestions and became quite rude when I told him I just needed help getting the red light off the remote as I couldn't use it and I wasn't interested in paying $99.00 for a service fee. I pay $7.99 a month now for a service fee. Why would I pay more or $49.00 for a remote. I'm switching to Charter. Terrible customer service.

I spent 6 hours trying to figure out why they sent me a Visa with 56.80 on it then the next day they wanted it back. When I had already cancel them. So I asked them why. This young dumb woman said they sent it as a refund on return equipment. So then I ask them what's the 56.80 for that you claim I owe you. She said it was for CenturyLink. I ask how does both these amounts for 2 different things come to the same amount. I told her not in a lifetime those odds would happen. So she said she would fix it. What she did was resign me up for 2 years and said she took care of the bill problem. So then I had to call back, the next lady, after I told her to stop the lies. Said she was crediting my account 117.25. That's when I knew I was being set up to take up the wrong way.

Well after 6 hours on the phone. And 4 customer service goons. I might have a zero balance? People this company is a total joke. They have 2 phone companies doing billing for them. And none of them know what the other company is doing. That alone is worth staying away. But when you add in their horrible service. It's really bad. How bad? Well my wife farted one night and we lost our signal. If a bird flies by and farts you will lose your signal. Do not use this company. They are really trained to lie. That is a fact. They train them to lie. I know. I worked for them. And I still had to be on the phone for 6 hours. Knowing the ins and outs of the company. Roku and a digital antenna is all you need. Cost about 40 a month with the internet. Stay away. Beware.

It's horrible. As soon as I can I will be switching back to Bright House/Spectrum. I can't believe that because my apartments are having the roof rebuilt because of leaks that I have to pay money for them to come and fix the location of my antenna. I'm beyond mad and truly disappointed. I pay my bill and I think they need to research how to handle situation as other companies handle it!!! Can't wait to switch companies!!! It's your job to make sure that your customers are comfortable with their services. Do some competition research on customer service and cable TV hook up and taking of problems and connections!!!

We switched to AT&T/DirecTV only for the Internet and the "floor specialist" sales person that day who boasted about being a floor specialist... guaranteed us the following: 1 year contract, free movie channels for 90 days, no installation fee, wireless service that he went on and in about how awesome it is... "Attach the dig anywhere" he said. "Even a tree, as long as 100 feet from house you are good to go" - he upgraded us to the entertainment package that's only $5 more a month and gave us Internet Security for 30 days for only 2.99! Wow awesome right? So fine let's get TV (we do not have TV and have not for 3 years as we are sports family in travel hockey/soccer and really have not that much time) but let's do it, it's only $40 more and we will get hockey. Ok. NO, NO, NO. THEY LIE TO YOU TO JUST GET IT IN YOUR HOUSE AND THEN LIE MORE WHEN YOU CALL TO SAY WHAT'S UP?

First when installed it's not ticketed for wireless and has to be adjusted. Installers said these guys have no idea what they are talking about, it has to go on house to work properly and this is the 3rd house that has had misinformation told to them. Entertainment package is $11 more not $5 and the manager we called said... "We know this is a problem with missing information we are trying to take care of, so we will credit you the difference in one lump sum on your blog for the year," not the 2 years they screwed me on... up next. I was told by the account floor specialist that "yes for today you are lucky you got me. I will be able to give you the 1 year contract instead of two since you are a new customer." His manager who came on also said "wow, this is a great deal, you are so lucky today you got him, and yes you will have a 1 year contract and all these awesome extras."

Contract is then emailed to us as a 2 year after we hang up and when we call to complain, they say, "Well we are sorry, we can't honor anything they said, it's what's in your emailed contract that matters." We were also told we can cancel anytime in 30 days without penalty. Just pay for what we use. LIE - there's a early cancellation fee that I had to fight to get waived for $75. Now that free install fee... it's now on our bill along with 7 days of service that now is costing us $54, plus we have a dish on out roof that we have to uninstall and then patch the big hole they made... More expense. All I heard was, "We will take care of this. I'm sending a ticket to our upper management team and they will listen to the recorded conversation and honor what you were promised. Just wait 2 weeks for this to take place and then we will call you," sure all the whole charging me for services.

The next LIE... they do not listen to the tapes, they just tell you, "No we are not honoring, we will cancel you then" or they try to upgrade you for a lesser fee, that actually adds more to your bill! Lastly, I call to complain about the install fee that was supposed to be waived and complain they are not coming to patch the hole on my roof and take their equipment because of their lies and why should I pay $35 when they lied or I would of kept the service and he tells me...

"We will take care of equipment!!!" LOL. I told him "Do not lie to me. A manager already told me that the equipment is mine once installed and my responsibility, so why are you now lying to me more" and he says... "We do take care of equipment at install mam!!!" "I'm already installed and canceling, we are talking about you taking your equipment and repairing, STOP LYING." He then says he will transfer me and the call is dropped... on accident I'm sure. WHAT A SCAM, DON'T DO IT. GET A FIRE STICK OR ROKU AND SAVE YOURSELF THE HEADACHE AND RIDICULOUS EXPENSES.

I had to make a change in my household budget. My DirecTV bill and AT&T internet bill didn't fit unless I could negotiate some new plan to make it fit. I spoke with Anna from the Arizona Dept. and she (**) was able to offer me a package that fit my budget perfectly! No need to change cable companies. I admit I asked her for her name, employee number just to make sure I knew who to complain to, but I got the opposite! A person who worked with me. Give "Anna from the Arizona Dept." Kudos from a very satisfied customer.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DIRECTV?

Beware of this company. We were sent to collection agency for a person with my husband's name. When I tried to resolve the issue, I was transferred to 12 different departments with no resolution. I was informed my account had a zero balance but they could not tell me why I was sent to collections. This company needs serious customer service intervention. Don't even consider them for your needs.

We chose DirecTV as our primary television provider after relocating, in order to get local sports in our old city. Simple reason, and we had no prior experience with the service or company. The satellite dish was set up on our patio fence in March, and we thought nothing of it. A few months later, our TV started giving repeated errors on channels and we couldn't figure out the pattern; it wasn't the weather, or popularity of show. These errors led to no visual at all or very lagging, like a 2004 video constantly buffering. I had it when it interrupted all of the 2016 Olympic coverage, and had a tech take a look, after we already reset the box with a customer service rep over the phone, and another tech had skipped an appointment.

The tech told us not only was it illegal by DirecTV standards for the dish to be mounted to the fence, as it was a liability to both them and us because it's not a stable structure. It was also shooting straight through fully-leaved trees that line our entire back patio. He said the tech should have known at some point after March, leaves would grow on the tree! And therefore would not have a signal. We rent our property, so could not put the dish on our roof, and there was no other clear path to adjust the dish to. The company offered to lower our rate, because we could still receive non-HD channels, and we could get our local sports.

Fast forward to when our "lowered price" deal was up, leaves are on the trees, and now have no connection at all. No television at all for three weeks because 2 technicians had to confirm that the error and dish placement were a legitimate reason for us not receiving any signals, and reason to cancel our contract. The techs don't have the authority to cancel the contract, so now on to customer service.

By this time, we've packed up all of the DirecTV boxes and hardware, and moved on to Sling TV and Netflix! The customer service rep attempted to repeatedly talk me into not cancelling our service (though we already had and had no signal at all) before telling me that I just need to take our hardware and remotes to the Post Office ourselves, and take the dish down ourselves. They try to be excellent salespeople, but the majority of employees we had contact with did not know what they were doing. Our experience with DirecTV is bad customer service, bad product, and not any more competitive than cable. I'd look into internet TV before anything else.

DirecTV has the worst customer service I have ever encountered. This company is giving me the runaround for my refund. I subscribed with DirecTV on April 20 but the next day changed my mind after I talked to some people who all said DirecTV was the worst. I cancelled my installation and they said I would be refunded the $19.95 I paid upfront in 7-10 days. I waited. After the 10th day I called. They said they would send an email to escalate the refund to the refund department. I waited again. Nothing. I called again on May 4. Now they say that because I used a prepaid card it takes even longer and have no idea how long it will take before I receive my refund. I called again on May 8, to check on the response for the email sent to escalate my refund and there was no response from the refund department. This company is absolutely worthless. I am advising anyone I come in contact with to not do ANY kind of business with DirecTV ever.

Anyone out there considering DIRECTV I am warning you not to do it. I wish someone had warned me. I purchased DIRECTV while shopping at Walmart, against my better judgment. I had DIRECTV years ago and the connection was always going out, the sales person told me that all of that was repaired and upgraded. NOT TRUE not only is the signal lost during bad weather, the signal goes out on clear sunny day. I really thought AT&T would make it better. They only care about keeping you locked into that 2-year contract.

The pricing changes monthly and the service is crappy. As dissatisfied customer they will not even allow me to terminate the contract with paying a very expensive cancellation fee or prorate my account for programs missed. Their solution was watch television in another room until the problem is resolved. The Nerve of these people! As a consumer I feel totally cheated, mislead and taken advantage of. Meanwhile, I am stuck with service appointments, tech support assistance, missing programs and high bills. There should be laws against this type of theft, by a major corporation. TAKE MY ADVICE DON'T PURCHASE THIS SERVICE!

Merger with AT&T produced people who no longer care - I started with DIRECTV 4 or 5 years ago starting at $20 per month. Each year, my bill increased and the final bill was $211. On top of that, I missed paying the bill and they disconnected. I paid with my credit card (on file) and restored service the same day. They have a new charge of $35 to restore service and refuse to waive it due to policy -- regardless of the fact that we've been a customer for the majority of the years from 1997 until now. When I asked to disconnect, neither the first agent or the agent who processed the disconnect offered any alternatives --- and I was not rude. I even asked why they didn't pitch me something to keep me as a customer. "I don't feel like arguing with you," replied the agent.

The next day, DIRECTV called to better understand my reason for disconnecting. They offered service for $45 per month for 24 months, free NFL ticket and a $200 gift card that I could use to pay the bill. It was too late. I already signed up for cable. Those are the facts. My perspective is that DIRECTV has adopted policies of AT&T Wireless. So, the bill will continue to increase without cause until you call to complain. While the retention team is directed to save money, The staff quotes policy and generally doesn't care. A customer who makes a mistake is a target for upcharge. Even Verizon and my bank treat me better.

Their business model is that they initially charge you $100 (Or whatever) and then increase that amount systematically in the range of 30% and then 50% within a 12-18 month period. Dishonest. They charge you for each TV, "Advanced equipment repair" and "Maintenance package" etc. These guys are the used car lot or furniture rental place next to the military base that we warned our Marines to stay out of because they rip you off. If you have an option, don't do business with them. Increased costs via 1,000 cuts.

Horrible customer service. On 02/26/16, at 4:30 pm (order #**), I called responding to an email from DirecTV & United Mileage Plus offering a discounted rate, totaling $63.92 per month for the first 12 months. When I spoke to the salesman, James, he stated all I had to do is call back after one year and request my "second year discount", which he assured me would keep my bill just about the same price for months 12-24 (within a few dollars, I believe he told me). He also offered me a $100 DirecTV Visa Reward Gift Card for signing up using a special offer through my United Mileage Plus program.

Here are the problems: The day I got my service hooked up, I phoned in & was told I was not eligible for the $100 gift card, as James had used a Refer a Friend discount to get me the price of $63.92 per month. I was NOT referred by a friend, nor did I have any knowledge of a "referral discount." James falsified this information. Upon phoning DirecTV today for my "second year discounts" that James told me would keep my bill just about the same price per month, I was told that they could only take $5 off my $117 bill each month. This is not what James assured me would happen.

I asked to speak to a Supervisor, which one did call me back from the West Virginia call center. His name is James also, with an employee ID #**. He offered me a few extra channels for free for 6 months, which I do not want. He also offered a $100 credit to my bill since I never received the gift card, which he stated was an error on their part. I declined both at this time as this does not solve the problem. I have filed a complaint with the BBB & am waiting a response.

The only reason I got AT&T's DTV was because cable was getting expensive and the explanations from DTV seemed to indicate I would be saving money for 2 years. DTV agents explained that my bill would be $25.00 a month. I just received my first bill after 9 days since installation and it is $60 +tax?? AT&T's DTV is deceptive because they do not clearly and in good faith publish the cost of their services. After reading the various reviews and my case as a reference, I am 100% certain that there is no DTV customer who has received a 100% revelation of what their cost would be and it turned out to be so. I got rid of a wonderful long-time cable service based on a deception and now I'm bound by a 2 yr contract that has actually raised my cost and that will probably end up costing me much more due to its deceptiveness.

I was a DirecTV customer years ago and canceled the service because the reception was terrible on any rainy days or when the wind was blowing. I want to start out by telling everybody that DirecTV called me to start this whole experience. They called me and asked if I was interested in changing over to DirecTV from Cox Communications which is our local cable company. They ran my credit score and saw I had excellent credit so they proceeded to tell me that they could give me all the same channels as well as the internet service for $80 a month and free installation. I asked about the reception problems and was told those problems were resolved. Right now I am paying almost $300 a month for both services from Cox.

I agreed to the change. Because of their installation times, I had to take a vacation day from work so I would be there for the installation. One week before the installation, I received a phone call from AT&T stating that they and DirecTV were the same company and that they could not provide the internet Service at all and the package sold to me was incorrect. Also, the TV package alone was going to run $100 a month. I called to complain to see why they are selling services they cannot provide which is fraud and was told there is nothing they can do. Now I have wasted a vacation day since I cannot cancel the date, I have a credit enquiry that I did not need on my credit report and it was a complete waste of my time as well as getting my hopes up and not following through. This company has liars and frauds in their ranks. WARNING!!!

When they came to put the DirecTV in at our house they just put the dish on the ground with water buckets on it and said that they would be back to hang it. I have talked with many different customer services to get the issue resolved and took off work early to meet with them to get it hung correctly. They have either showed up and said they cannot do it or the person shows up and says they can't do anything until someone else shows up and I have to explain this to them every time. It is now May and I have gotten nowhere. And they decided to not show up again. The customer service doesn't know anything about the technician side to communicate correctly or understand the problem.

I cannot order movies via remote or text. I spent 45 minutes on the phone with tech support for them to tell me, "Sorry we can't help you." So I just now tried and the girl I talked to would not connect me to a supervisor. So, I will be leaving DirecTV this week. Just thought you would like to know why.

Save your money and RUN!!! This company messed up BIG time when it was time to close my account and instead of closing it on the date promise 3 months later I am finding out THE ACCOUNT IS STILL OPEN!!! And when I call in to get the situation fixed they say, "Ok. A case manager will call you back..." That is fine... 2 days later I get a voicemail that I can't even understand much less make out a call back number so I have to call customer service AGAIN! Only to be told, "Oh well since you missed the call there is nothing else that can be done and we can no longer help you." WHAT THE...

So I get connected to another manager who puts in another case... Get a call back and am basically told they can only take my word for it and since there are no notes to back that up that I am still responsible for the full amount to end the contract after I have already paid over 400? PSH!!! HORRIBLE HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE AND SO INCOMPETENT... I know two-year-olds that have better brains than this company! They are not getting another dime from me!

I recently switched to DirecTV for cable and internet services. While talking to the sales rep I asked if the price they were offering was going to change after the first year. I was assured by the sales rep that it would not. This was a Lie because after a year it double. Also while on the phone with the sales rep I asked multiple times if this was a contract. Again I was lied to and I was told this was not a contract.

After 1 year they doubled their price. When I called today to cancel the service I was told that it was a contract and that I had to pay a cancellation fee of 200 dollars. When you get on the phone with DirecTV they say they a recording your phone call, so I asked DirecTV to go back a listen to the calls when their sales rep told me that the price would not go up and that it was not a contract. I was told that they do not record all calls and because of this there was no way for me to prove that I was told what I was told. And that if I wanted to cancel that they will be billing for the raised rate and, cancellation fee. This is completely unfair and WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T TRUST DIRECTV. They do not believe in customer service or customer rights.

I would not recommend DirecTV to anybody. The sales people lie to the customers to get the sale and then when they come out to install it they stick it in the valley of the roof where when it rains now it's going to flood the satellite. There's no good channels on the packages and all they do is lie to customer so I do not recommend it.

We've signed up for DirecTV because they promised us that DirecTV have a great service & signals. Why didn't they tell the truth about poor signals? Because they didn't want us to know. Every single time when there's a storm or rain, we lost all TV signals and don't even know what's going to happen. How do you prepare for tornado or severe weather warnings when you can't even watch the news. Not just that, when we signed up, they promised us that we were going to get a $200 Walmart gift card. Unfortunately, we only got a $100 gift card instead. In addition, they upgraded extra channels to the original package that we've signed up for without our knowledge & we didn't find out until we saw the statement. VERY DISAPPOINTED for the service!

I have been a loyal DirecTV customer since it first started in my town in 1999. They recently merged with AT&T phone and Internet service. I thought I would save money and sign up for Internet through ATT because I had good service from their affiliate DirecTV. My gripe is that they ran a hard credit check on me. Although I have always paid my DTV bill before it was due or on time they would not accept this as proof that I would pay my bills to them. I am very proud of my good credit and excellent credit score. I told them not to run it but of course they did and my score went down forty points. I have to trust them to give me good service but they don't trust me after all these years to pay my bill. This is NOT good customer service.

First off, I was told extra receivers were free when I signed up. Not true. I get signal loss all of the time. Even on a clear day. Sometimes the signal is fine and sometimes it just goes. If there is bad weather don't plan on coming to watch a movie. No signal. Waiting for your sporting event to come on, hoping you will get signal that day. Of course they want to keep you on contract to keep low pricing. If not it is VERY expensive, almost double.

The contract keeps you tied to service through the signal loss periods. I called to cancel and they offered 6 months movie channels and 12 month discount to keep me. They did not follow up on the free movie channel part. At least with cable I always had reception. DirecTV is NOT honest and not reliable. I don't have a single positive for DirecTV over cable. I'm going to call again tomorrow and try to cancel once again.

Bill never stays the same. Nothing on my end changes and if channels are deleted it does not lower bill. You get a different story from each individual operators. The most recent complaint is that my contract was close to being at the 2 year mark. I had to move from Michigan to Colorado and saw the Moving Made Easy ads so I took the equipment with me and put a short hold on my account. When I got my first bill it was outrageous so I called to cancel my service not knowing at all that when you move with DirecTV you're automatically signed up for another 2 YEAR CONTRACT!!! There is nowhere saying that and also they won't tell you until it's too late and service is running at your new place of residence.

The only thing I have to say is that I would call often and ask if there were any promotions I could get. Towards the end they were very few and far between. Now that I'm gone you guys want to offer me the moon. Just don't understand why you couldn't give that to me while I were still a customer.

Promised a 24 month contract with no price increase. Got it when I got my AT&T phone. AT&T verified that I was told it was a 24 month no price increase contract. I went to AT&T and they called DirecTV, but DirecTV said there was nothing they could do. Awful customer service and they lie to you. My bill went from $66.00 a month to $120.00. Got until December of this year and then I am gone!!!

My father fell on rough times and had to move in with me for 3 years. Prior to that he had DirecTV at his place and fell behind on payments. One day before DirecTV was to come out for installation at my address they called and stated that my father owed them money and use to live at my address so they would not provide me with service. I stated my 71-yr old father never had service at my address and he hasn't lived with me for over 3 years. It didn't matter. They said in order for me to receive service my father would have to pay his balance due. I politely told them that what they were doing didn't make any sense and to stick their service where the sun don't shine!

They have the worst equipment - 2 of my 4 receivers broke within 6 months. When I replaced the first one I asked how to return the broken receiver and was informed I did not need to. Two months later they charged me $125 for the receiver I did not return. I was too busy for one of their typical 4 hr phone calls so I just ate it. Then another receiver broke. I just took it off and put it on antenna and started marking off the days on the calendar until my contract would expire. People do not have time for these marathon phone calls and they bank on that.

This morning my bridge was out so was forced to call them. Got that taken care of and wanted to find out about what happens if you move before your contract expires. I was shocked to discover that when I received my replacement receiver last year the company automatically extended my contract another 6 months!!! Can they do that? Who regulates these crooks? Now I'm waiting for an "Advanced Contract Specialist" to call me back.

I detest this company. Their equipment is not reliable, their customer service gets a triple F. As I said, they make it so time-consuming to handle problems they just hope you'll go away instead of navigate their extensive and troubled system. If you have any other options, I implore you to use them instead of DIRECTV. May they sink the ATT empire and cause it to die! You know, I'm so fed up with DIRECTV that I am now going to move my phone service elsewhere too even though I've not had problems with it. I just can't support such a horrible company anymore.

DirecTV advertised receiving a $25 VISA Reward card after signing up and having service installed. Upon trying to claim my reward card, I was told that there was no such promotion. I received an email from DirecTV about the promotion, again was told there is no such thing and there is nothing they can do. I've attached a copy of my email below. I would like to warn everyone else about the potential lie.

This company sucks when it comes to billing and communication. I discontinued the premium channels and still 4 months later I am still being billed. Absolutely do not like this company for my satellite services. I will be discontinuing my services asap!

I have been a DirecTV customer for the last year and a half. For the first year I was using the auto bill service. During that time frame I was never sent a monthly statement, which should have been sent to my email account. I contacted DirecTV no explanation was given. Five months later, May of 2017, I'm now using the paperless billing option and still have not received an statement/ebill. I have to continually go into my DirecTV account, check my statement and pay my bill. I read the DirecTV customer agreement and noticed a section that stated I will be sent a statement/ebill each month for the term of the contract. I'm in the process of getting out of my contract with DirecTV. DirecTV violated the Customer Agreement by not sending out monthly statements.

DIRECTV Company Profile