Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.05/5

For years, DIRECTV has been committed to providing the greatest digital television experience to over 37 million customers in both the U.S and Latin America. Every aspect of our company is centered on bringing each customer state-of-the-art service.

We understand that it is important to our customers that they work with a company that respects and understands their wants and needs, which is why DIRECTV’s employees are trained and ready to assist and answer any of your digital television needs. For the #1 satellite TV service in the country, choose DIRECTV.

View More View More

Find a service provider in your area

Compare offers on Find Your Internet

Get Started

Find a service provider in your area

Compare offers on Find Your Internet

Get Started

DIRECTV Reviews

Original review: June 20, 2020

My wife and I moved down here in southern Delaware from north Jersey six years ago. Up there we had cable and it was really good. Down here we got DIRECTV (one of the cheapest, basic packages because they are so expensive). Ok, besides losing service when it rains, or if we have a dark cloudy sky, DIRECTV keeps taking away certain channels every so often, and when I call and get through all the robot voices and talk to a human, the human tells me to get the channel back it’s going to cost me $4.99!! I tell them H*LL NO! Why are you taking my channels and holding them until I pay a RANSOM?

DIRECTV nickels and dimes you, trying to get more money out of you. Plus when we moved here and got three boxes for three TVs, we got a nasty looking BLURRY picture. I called (got past Mr Robot), told the real person about the blurry picture. He tells me that’s because I didn’t order “high definition”. ???? I thought to myself, what part of planet earth doesn’t have high definition automatically these days when you get TV service???? I know!! DIRECTV in southern Delaware!! So the real person on the phone tells me it’s going to cost more money for high definition on three boxes. It was automatic on our cable up in North Jersey. DIRECTV down here nickels and dimes you!

If this review is going on and on.... It’s because I’m pissed. I turned my TV on this morning and SMITHSONIAN CHANNEL was gone ☹️. I called.... somehow got past the robot.... and the real person tells me, “that’s part of our movie extra package, it costs $4.99, but I got good news for you-we have a promotion, you can have it for free for three months, then after that it’s $4.99 extra." H*LL NO! I’m thinking of canceling these bandits and getting three sets of rabbit ears.

Resolution response: June 24, 2020

Upon researching this more, we found that DirecTV violated the Residential Customer Agreement. The agreement states “Your Cancellation. You may cancel Service by calling us at 800.288.2020. Your cancellation is effective ON THE LAST DAY of the billing cycle in which you cancel (exceptions may apply to certain promotional periods and must be in writing) and you will not receive a prorated credit or refund for any portion of Service cancelled (subject to applicable law).". By the tech cancelling our services on the first day of the month and not the last day of the month they violated the agreement.

We brought this to the social media team and they were able to help us out. They responded to not pay our bill for June and offered a credit for the same amount in July which should offset each other. We are happy with the response and resolution from the social media team however, we are disappointed that after talking with 4 people (including one supervisor) they didn't realize their mistake and dismissed us.

Original review: June 16, 2020

We've had DIRECTV for nearly a decade. My husband called to cancel our service on June 1st. Usually they offer promotions to entice us to stay. This time the woman did not and said we would be cancelled and our boxes would shut off at midnight that night. They shut off our boxes at midnight that night but charged us $204 for the entire month of June since we cancelled on the first day of the billing cycle. The woman did not tell us that ATT does not prorate anymore nor did she think to offer "If you cancel today, you will receive a bill for the entire month or we can cancel you on the 30th at the end of your billing cycle."

They refuse to backdate the cancellation one day, told us they couldn't turn the boxes back on to use for the rest of the month (that we are paying for). The account is "closed" so they can't do anything else however 15 mins later the woman could miraculously open our account to give us a small credit. Overall, having been a customer for almost 10 years I am disgusted that they are treating people this way. $204 for one day of service and nothing they can do because that is their policy. We don't recommend them and definitely will not be coming back to any Directv/att company again.

Get buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 15, 2020

As far as picture quality DTV is good. Their fees are higher than most. But, when you close your account with them. Be careful! After returning equipment, I called to verify received and that I owed no further monies. They said my account was clear. Months later I start getting letters from collections. No one could even tell me what it was for. After filing a dispute, heard nothing, now months later, surprise I get a call from collections. I go through everything with them, they tell me to call DTV. I do, DTV tells me to take it up with collections. I again explain and go through everything again with DTV. Who can't even give explanation for bill and told me to call collections and pay bill. I told them this is crazy. My advice DO NOT GET DIRECTV!

Original review: June 4, 2020

I requested a service because I don't get the signal and I lost 3 days of work, the technician never show up in those 3 days, supervisors called me and gave me all kind of apology but nobody resolved the problem.

Original review: June 3, 2020

I have to give a single star but only because I have to. Their whole game is to sell you on a long term deal. Install remanufactured components, you don’t get the devices where you want them, put the new dish in the same place as one was installed 15 years ago because it is easy (even though there are now trees there). Throw the old junk disk in your yard and leave it. Today is a full sunny day, light breeze, no rain, I cannot keep a single station for more than 10 secs. You cannot record, you cannot download.

When you call customer service all they want to do is sell you a new warranty. I am still getting charged for a wireless box that (remanufactured) that never worked and was sent back three months ago. When my contract is up I will just stay with YouTube and Netflix that is I watch now at a minimal 3 days a week due to the bad service from DirecTV. 4K is a joke as well, two stations which never work. Not sure where you live however unless it is perfectly sunny, absolutely no wind, no rain and you were to get a decent install with "NEW" equipment, don’t do IT!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DIRECTV?

Original review: May 29, 2020

AT&T doesn't shut down accounts of deceased individuals. They expect you to keep calling different numbers of different departments. Even though I brought in the death certificate and they made a note on the account they are still sending bills. The office of the president of AT&T calls and they still want me to do their job and call yet another person. I feel sorry for people who have no choice in using at&t. Stay away from them. I have filed complaints with the BBB and the FCC. Doesn't look like they are helping either. Too bad I have to give any stars. I'd give infinite 0 if I could.

Original review: May 22, 2020

First of all they turned my service off in the middle of this Pandemic. I needed $379 pass due to restore, of course I didn't have the funds. So, my sister helped. She did an electronic check over the phone for $379. Come to find out they went into her account for $ 629. My sister informed me right away. I gave DirecTV a call and they assured me that they would put back the $250 within 24 to 48 hours. Never happened. Called again the next week. They assured that it would be put back in ten days from the first time that I called. Never happened. Called again after a week in a half. They assured 10 more days from the time that I just called in. Never happened. I called around eight times.

Now they say they do not owe, because of a check that was returned sometime in March thru my account. Whatever happened my sister has nothing to do with that. DirecTV was not authorized to take $629. DirecTV has to be held accountable for this unauthorized transaction. My sister is out of $250. They gave me a reference number for the refund and we have yet to received it. DirecTV you are going to have a fight on your hands because you did not go into my account. You stole from someone else's account that was helping out her sister. Now it's time to give her back her money. Honor the refund you IDIOTS.

Original review: May 20, 2020

I tried to make changes to reduce my package with Directv and was transferred from one group to another. Voice input didn't understand what I was saying and the customer rep. wasn't helpful when I tried to cancel or change the service package.

Original review: May 19, 2020

I had a year long promotion on my account which expired May 14th. I received an email telling me to call in to get a new promotion. Well, here I am on my third call and I keep being told that the system hasn't offered a new promotion yet. In the meantime, my bill has gone up by $70. Today I was told that the "new" promotion wouldn't appear until the end of the month (which means they can continue to charge me more money - seems like this is a way to keep people locked into a higher price).

My options were to downgrade or remove services as they had NO other promotions available. Why did I receive an email telling me to call in for a new promotion then? I asked to speak to a supervisor and was put on hold and after waiting for several minutes was told nobody was available and all the supervisor could do was tell me there were no promotions. I have been a loyal DIRECTV customer since 2002. Once AT&T took DIRECTV over their service and customer loyalty went to crap. If I could give this company zero stars I would. With my current bill at $190 a month and the lack of consideration for their customers, I'll be looking for another provider.

Original review: May 16, 2020

It’s 125AM Friday night and my cable has been disconnected, there is no one at this hour to talk to about my bill. So I paid money I don’t owe just to have TV at this time of crisis. Every month I spend over an hour talking about my bill to these people. My bill is 60 a month purely basic channels, what is the big problem. Every month I get a bill charging me hundreds!!! They also drilled a hole in my new roof I didn’t even know and my house already had a Directv satellite, now I have two. Talked to supervisors, doesn’t help. I was charged 40 a month for a sports channel ended up paying 240. They said it was a promotion and too late to get any money back because Aug 20 was the deadline! My friend had the same problem and was always overcharged and going to another company solved her problem. I didn’t ask for any promotion. They just put it on your cable without your knowledge or permission. Then they charge you for it!!

DIRECTV author review by ConsumerAffairs

With more than 39 million customers, DIRECTV is one of the largest providers of paid TV services. The company is headquartered in El Segundo, California, and it provides programming to customers through satellite transmissions.

• Exceptional customer service: The company is rated #1 in customer service compared to other cable and satellite TV providers, according to the American Customer Satisfaction Index.

• Never miss a game: The NFL Sunday Ticket ensures all subscribers can watch out-of-market games.

• Expansive HD catalog: DIRECTV has 195 HD channels, including AMC HD, ABC Family HD, Hallmark Channel HD, among many, many others.

• Record from any television: DIRECTV service comes with an HD Genie that records shows from up to eight televisions throughout a home or office.

• Watch from anywhere: Customers can enjoy family favorites and recorded shows using a mobile device with an Internet connection.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team