Looking for a TV service provider?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

2.83/5
Based on 4,727 ratings submitted in the last year

DIRECTV

For years, DIRECTV has been committed to providing the greatest digital television experience to over 37 million customers in both the U.S and Latin America. Every aspect of our company is centered on bringing each customer state-of-the-art service.

We understand that it is important to our customers that they work with a company that respects and understands their wants and needs, which is why DIRECTV’s employees are trained and ready to assist and answer any of your digital television needs. For the #1 satellite TV service in the country, choose DIRECTV.

View More View More

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

DIRECTV Reviews

Original review: Aug. 23, 2019

Looking for a better TV/internet/phone service about 8 months he ago, I did a lot of research and finally decided to try AT&T DirecTV. From the very beginning, signing on, installation of equipment, and answering any question I had, the service I received was outstanding, thorough and complete. The cost was almost half of my past cable company. The second year was to go up some and this was understood. However, when I called to see if I could bring the cost down a little, AT&T without hesitation actually reduced the cost from the first year. All companies might do well to look at the management of AT&T. They care and are definitely client-oriented. They have worked hard to earned my loyalty and have succeeded.

Original review: April 12, 2019

We’ve been a customer for years. The prices goes up but, we’ve been able to contact them to get the price adjusted without losing services we wanted to keep. Today, I bought a new tv for my husband and he wanted to add 4K to our plan. I called and they told me we need to update our box and it would cost 399.00. So...I told them no thank you because that’s outrageous! We’ve had these boxes for three years. Anyway, I hung up disappointed. About half an hour later a manager called me. She said the representative I spoke to brought the situation to her attention and, after reviewing our account, they would like to offer us the upgraded equipment at no charge. We scheduled the installation date. I was honestly so surprised. Directv isn’t known for great service and we have had our ups and downs with them but, this went over and above. It was refreshing and so appreciated.

Get expert buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: March 3, 2019

I love DirecTV, I actually read the fine print no one reads, the price advertised online is a special price eg, promo price 35/mo reg price 81. So price reverts to normal after deal if you pay your bill on time and keep the other things you need to keep the deal like auto bill pay and paperless. First late payment you lose specials. If you read the terms and conditions and the fine print there is no surprises. Also if you read the bill it is very detailed.

On signal I love it I had a storm blow through I had no signal interruption. I dont know why people say it's bad in a storm. I have never needed to call customer service. The self care portal through the website is wonderful. I've only had to use it twice but I fixed my issue myself and I like that. The service is great if you pay attention to customer agreement, your bill, and the fine print when you sign up. And of course it's expensive. It's the best one out there, if you cant deal with normal price being high you get good service.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

WE had called in a few times about getting a wire that we needed for our older T.v. and were sent 4 wrong wires by 4 different agents. And then the 5th time we called and we Got the greatest Customer service rep. She knew exactly what cable we were talking about and she sent it to use and we got it earlier than what she said that we would but we wanted to give her a great review. I give her all 10's. She did a great job. She was fast to answer the questions that we had and was able to pin point exactly what we needed so If her boss is able to see this you should give her something very nice. She stated that she had worked at the customer service for a long time. I wish I would have gotten her employee number so they would know who I was talking about. She is a great person. Thank you very much.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Superb image and sound quality. But the recent "upgrade" for the onscreen display and selection process is quirky at best and much harder to use than the previous displays. The hand-held controller is frequently slow to respond, entries are hit and miss, and some erroneous screens come up (e.g., when deleting a show from the DVR queue, the screen will often select another show altogether). Also, there are recurrent periods of screen drop-outs not related to weather or dish obstructions. Overall, the DirecTV OS is now painfully complex to use. And finally, it is very difficult to determine the actual channel line up for the bare "Family Plan" and to set up a default "Favorite Channels" selection list. Nothing is on the website for this plan. Browser searches return some lineup lists, but they are inaccurate. I still do not know what channels are actually included in the "Family Plan."

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DIRECTV?

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

I lost connection 2 days ago and now Directv cannot get anyone here for four days! The customer service was terrible. They just kept passing me along to other people only to get nowhere. If they can't do better than that they need to hire more techs. I use to be happy with them and always had great service but obviously things have changed. I don't want to go back to Spectrum but am rethinking it. Directv is not what it use to be. So disappointed.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

They just change your bill when they want, I start paying $120 and finish paying $207 just because they remove all my promotions in just 3 month after contract. Usually that happen after a year of contract. They have the worst service ever. Comcast is by far a better service, just saying.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

When I opened a Directv account at August this year I got a “choice all included“ plan. Which is $49.99 for each month. They sent me the customer service summary. Show me the upcoming bill is $78.44 and ongoing monthly bill is $58.49. But when I got my first bill it was $88.99. I thought it was only a little bit different. So I pay for it without any attention. On the second bill the price was went up to $113.23. I recognized that was something wrong. So I started to call the customer service. They told me somehow my plan was changed to “select” plan.

On the third month they changed my plan to “Entertainment“. Every time they changed my plan without my agreement. So the price going up from $58.49 to $113.23. I called the customer service over fifty times until now. But they still insisted that I have to pay $113.23 every month. And they told me if I cancel the service I have to pay $328 total amount for the cancellation fee. So please tell everyone be careful of this tricky company before signing up the TV program.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

We have had DirecTV for a while and we recently decided to cancel our service because they were getting more and more expensive. We canceled the service on Sep 9, just a day or two after we returned all their equipment. On Sep 25, we got a bill stating we owed $133.57 for service. So of course I called and they wouldn't budge at all. They said that since they bill ahead, we were still responsible for paying that amount. I asked the gentleman why should we pay for an entire month of service we did not have except for the first few days of September. I asked for them to prorate the bill for those few days and they refused. Mind you, they had already received the equipment we sent back. I asked to talk to a supervisor and after going back and forth, he agreed and assured me that we didn't owe anything.

Fast forward almost 3 months and I get an email saying that we still owe them $133.57. Needless to say, I was extremely irritated. So I called and got nowhere. The supervisor I talked to yesterday said that it doesn't matter what the other supervisor told me. Basically, their revenue department considers this a valid charge and I'm still responsible for the bill. She refused to listen to the recording because all their calls are recorded. She said it didn't matter. I got nowhere. I am extremely irritated, angry and disappointed. I am willing to pay a prorated amount for the first few days in September but she would not listen and flat out refused. Everyone is free to make their own choices but just know that they refuse to work with their customers and what one person tells doesn't mean a thing. They're very dishonest. Be aware before you make a decision. I certainly DON'T RECOMMEND them.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

After I canceled my service and paid my account, I received a charged with out my permission. It charged to my debit account. When I call them to question the charges they could not find it because there was not a confirmation code! Because like I told them this charges were with out my consent completely illegal. I'm still fighting this with my bank. Also I'm search on line. It happens I'm not the only one who this been happening, beware there is some scammers in At&T DirecTV.

DIRECTV expert review by ConsumerAffairs

With more than 39 million customers, DIRECTV is one of the largest providers of paid TV services. The company is headquartered in El Segundo, California, and it provides programming to customers through satellite transmissions.

• Exceptional customer service: The company is rated #1 in customer service compared to other cable and satellite TV providers, according to the American Customer Satisfaction Index.

• Never miss a game: The NFL Sunday Ticket ensures all subscribers can watch out-of-market games.

• Expansive HD catalog: DIRECTV has 195 HD channels, including AMC HD, ABC Family HD, Hallmark Channel HD, among many, many others.

• Record from any television: DIRECTV service comes with an HD Genie that records shows from up to eight televisions throughout a home or office.

• Watch from anywhere: Customers can enjoy family favorites and recorded shows using a mobile device with an Internet connection.

• Best for: Television fans who watch a range of programs and customers with special interests.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs