ConsumerAffairs Verified Brand

Visit Website
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.53/5
Based on 4,606 ratings submitted in the last year

Looking for a TV service provider?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

For years, DIRECTV has been committed to providing the greatest digital television experience to over 37 million customers in both the U.S and Latin America. Every aspect of our company is centered on bringing each customer state-of-the-art service.

We understand that it is important to our customers that they work with a company that respects and understands their wants and needs, which is why DIRECTV’s employees are trained and ready to assist and answer any of your digital television needs. For the #1 satellite TV service in the country, choose DIRECTV.

View More View More

Looking for a TV service provider?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

DIRECTV Reviews

Original review: Aug. 23, 2019

Looking for a better TV/internet/phone service about 8 months he ago, I did a lot of research and finally decided to try AT&T DirecTV. From the very beginning, signing on, installation of equipment, and answering any question I had, the service I received was outstanding, thorough and complete. The cost was almost half of my past cable company. The second year was to go up some and this was understood. However, when I called to see if I could bring the cost down a little, AT&T without hesitation actually reduced the cost from the first year. All companies might do well to look at the management of AT&T. They care and are definitely client-oriented. They have worked hard to earned my loyalty and have succeeded.

Original review: April 12, 2019

We’ve been a customer for years. The prices goes up but, we’ve been able to contact them to get the price adjusted without losing services we wanted to keep. Today, I bought a new tv for my husband and he wanted to add 4K to our plan. I called and they told me we need to update our box and it would cost 399.00. So...I told them no thank you because that’s outrageous! We’ve had these boxes for three years. Anyway, I hung up disappointed. About half an hour later a manager called me. She said the representative I spoke to brought the situation to her attention and, after reviewing our account, they would like to offer us the upgraded equipment at no charge. We scheduled the installation date. I was honestly so surprised. Directv isn’t known for great service and we have had our ups and downs with them but, this went over and above. It was refreshing and so appreciated.

Get expert buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 12, 2019

We have been with DirecTV for many years and we on occasion will need a DirecTV service tech to help us out. We contacted DirecTV and they sent a Service Tech out to us named Pat **. I can't begin to share with you and your CEO how pleased we are with the professionalism Pat demonstrated and how he explained and corrected the problem. We have a total of 6 receivers in our home and RV and Pat corrected the concern we had in the bedroom receiver and answered some minor questions I had about one of the other receivers. Pat has to be a valuable part of the DirecTV Service Group. Thank You Pat.

Original review: March 3, 2019

I love DirecTV, I actually read the fine print no one reads, the price advertised online is a special price eg, promo price 35/mo reg price 81. So price reverts to normal after deal if you pay your bill on time and keep the other things you need to keep the deal like auto bill pay and paperless. First late payment you lose specials. If you read the terms and conditions and the fine print there is no surprises. Also if you read the bill it is very detailed.

On signal I love it I had a storm blow through I had no signal interruption. I dont know why people say it's bad in a storm. I have never needed to call customer service. The self care portal through the website is wonderful. I've only had to use it twice but I fixed my issue myself and I like that. The service is great if you pay attention to customer agreement, your bill, and the fine print when you sign up. And of course it's expensive. It's the best one out there, if you cant deal with normal price being high you get good service.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

WE had called in a few times about getting a wire that we needed for our older T.v. and were sent 4 wrong wires by 4 different agents. And then the 5th time we called and we Got the greatest Customer service rep. She knew exactly what cable we were talking about and she sent it to use and we got it earlier than what she said that we would but we wanted to give her a great review. I give her all 10's. She did a great job. She was fast to answer the questions that we had and was able to pin point exactly what we needed so If her boss is able to see this you should give her something very nice. She stated that she had worked at the customer service for a long time. I wish I would have gotten her employee number so they would know who I was talking about. She is a great person. Thank you very much.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DIRECTV?

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

I’ve been a Directv customer for about 20 years. As soon as AT&T stepped in and took over, the entire operation went right in the crapper. What’s wrong? Everything! I can’t even get them to give me a new receiver to add an additional tv to my home. This is literally adding more money in their pockets and they can’t even do that right. They schedule appointment after appointment with a four hour arrival window and nobody ever shows up. Then they call at the end of the four hours to reschedule and tell you a blatant lie (as confirmed by an AT&T employee privately told me) that their warehouse didn’t have the equipment. This happened to me about five different days in two weeks! Stay far, far away from all things AT&T. Get any tv service but theirs. I’m dreading canceling because of all the reviews I’ve read about getting billed and harassed after canceling, etc. Anyone want to do a class action lawsuit?

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

Directv mini Genies are horrible. They can’t communicate with the main box without cutting out constantly through your program. They reboot themselves trying to reconnect causing you to miss half your shows you are watching. Techs have come out and says we’ve recorded too much and overloaded the main box that communicates to the other receivers. They proceeded to delete most of the recording saying that should solve the problem, but that same week the same problems were occurring. They say you need to manually reboot the main box every so often to “reset” it. Very unreliable! They came back and replaced the receiver to a brand new one and said that should take care of the problem. That same night the shows we were watching kept stalling and cutting out. So frustrating! I would not recommend directv to anyone and would say stay away if you don’t want to hassle constantly with getting help that doesn’t really help.

I told them I no longer want the service so they said if I would stay they would extend my discounted rate for my next 12 months of my 24 month contract. So I agreed to stay with them. Next bill however the discounted rate was not honored. I called to ask about it and they said they have no notes of this agreement and can’t extend that discounted rate and would have to live with the regular higher rate. Needless to say, I cancelled on the spot even though I had to pay $110 cancellation fee. It’s not worth putting up with the poor programming and then not willing to honor their agreement. Very dishonest to promise something and then not honor it.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

DirecTV is terrible. It sucks that it’s one of the few services out there. We have always had trouble with customer service. They say one thing and do another. We are moving in a week and my husband figured he would get a head start to shut down our services for SATURDAY which is a few days away. He told customer service multiple times that we aren’t cancelling our services for another week. What does directv do? They shut it down that evening. This is not the first time they have screwed up. There were a few other occasions where they screwed up the package that we ordered, channels that we requested, and we had problems with our bill. I am so happy that I never have to deal with directv AGAIN! We will be moving onto a new cable provider and will not recommend DirecTV.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

I have been a DirecTV customer for 2 years after being with a cable company for years. I enjoyed the programming and the genies first other rooms, as well as the DVR feature. Once my promotion period was up, I made a call and they applied a loyalty discount so that my bill would be what the initial discount was. Awesome! Fast forward another year, I get notification that my bill will go up again. I call directv who basically says ‘sorry, but you can lose some of your shows and save money.’ I tell them to cancel.

A few hours later the customer service people call and get me a better discount. Great! And now, less than a month later (I haven’t gotten the bill from the negotiation), I get an email that shows my bill will more than double. Apparently, the customer service person entered the loyalty discount twice and that doesn’t fly. Wow. BIG let down. I have now cancelled for good this time. Directv and AT&T have lost my business. Can’t promise your customer and then take it back. If I have something good to say, the customer service people were nice and easy to talk to.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

I am not sure how they can tout their excellence in customer service when they continually raise their prices and give you the runaround on the phone when you call. We finally cut the cord with them and were told on the phone that we did not have to return our equipment only to receive an email the next day that said we did and to go to this website for step-by-step instructions and to print a pre-paid label. WRONG! It was another phone number to call their so called excellent customer service department which I was on for 28 minutes and got absolutely nowhere!! If you promise to do something, do it, plain & simple!!! In my book they are far from rated #1. If I could have given this no stars I would have.

Not sure about DIRECTV?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right satellite or cable TV provider for you.

DIRECTV expert review by ConsumerAffairs

With more than 39 million customers, DIRECTV is one of the largest providers of paid TV services. The company is headquartered in El Segundo, California, and it provides programming to customers through satellite transmissions.

• Exceptional customer service: The company is rated #1 in customer service compared to other cable and satellite TV providers, according to the American Customer Satisfaction Index.

• Never miss a game: The NFL Sunday Ticket ensures all subscribers can watch out-of-market games.

• Expansive HD catalog: DIRECTV has 195 HD channels, including AMC HD, ABC Family HD, Hallmark Channel HD, among many, many others.

• Record from any television: DIRECTV service comes with an HD Genie that records shows from up to eight televisions throughout a home or office.

• Watch from anywhere: Customers can enjoy family favorites and recorded shows using a mobile device with an Internet connection.

• Best for: Television fans who watch a range of programs and customers with special interests.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team