1.36/5
Based on 1,461 ratings submitted in the last year

DIRECTV

For years, DIRECTV has been committed to providing the greatest digital television experience to over 37 million customers in both the U.S and Latin America. Every aspect of our company is centered on bringing each customer state-of-the-art service.

We understand that it is important to our customers that they work with a company that respects and understands their wants and needs, which is why DIRECTV’s employees are trained and ready to assist and answer any of your digital television needs. For the #1 satellite TV service in the country, choose DIRECTV.

View More View More

16627 DIRECTV Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 20, 2019

Been with them for years. Accidentally ordered a PPV movie. Called to let them know immediately to cancel it. They said, "Don't worry. You won't be charged." Well sure enough they did. Called to fix it. They claimed they would credit it. They didn't but instead charged it again! My bill went from 150 to 200 to at one point almost 300 for the same service and package I was on. I called to complain. They reduced it down to a "12 month price of 57 dollars". Well that lasted all of 2 months then my bill goes back up to 148. Called. They said my new price is 119. Well my statement says 148 and my bill date is on the 25th. Well now they took out 50 dollars on the 15th and my bill isn't due until the 25th on auto pay. So how did you take 50? They didn't take 50 "my bank is living to me they said."

If I cancel I have to go somewhere else and return the equipment etc etc etc. What a joke. Been with them for about 3 or 4 years now, have referred multiple people to them and they can't figure it out. They want me to write a letter to corporate. I have emails and recorded phone calls of all the things they said and promised that they claim not to have any record of. They can't even explain the discrepancies between what's on my paper statement, what's in my customer portal, what is in the email coming from them, or what they promised from the notes in their system to the calls they have recorded. This is probably happening with many many people. Out of almost 1500 reviews in the last 12 months they barely have a 1.5 to 2 star rating! This should be a class action suit against another major retail service provider. What a joke!

Original review: March 20, 2019

DirecTV has the WORST customer service that I have personally ever dealt with in my life. They are all idiots and barely speak English. You never get the same person twice and you're lucky if you can get through all the automated prompts. They charged my account 199$ plus tax to move my services from one house to another even though I was an existing customer. The actual "relocate" charge was only 49.99 which was clearly spelled out on the bill, however they falsely charged my account the 199$ fee for installing a new dish which did not happen as a dish was already in place when we moved.

When I called and tried to get this resolved, one person tells me, "No problem. We will take care of this." but because the charge was for more than 200$ with taxes he needed to transfer me to a different department in order for them to remove the fees. The "different" department proceeds to tell me that while they understand that a new dish was NOT installed, the 199$ is a standard fee they charge every customer to move their services. Absolute fraud. I cancelled right away. Had to go to my local store to get them to sift through the account and fix the bill.

I also had to find a new company that would buy out my contract because when we moved and transferred services it renewed my 24 month contract which I was also unaware of. This is a nightmare company and they know it or they wouldn't lock customers into 24 months of HELL with the bill constantly fluctuating and terrible customer service along with terrible TV services when the wind blows.

Get expert buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Want to claim this page for your business? Learn More
Original review: March 20, 2019

If you want your bill to change monthly and they beg you to do autopay to get robbed every month. Dont sign up. The worst customer service I've ever dealt with in any professional business at all whatsoever. Very poorly educated people. Bill goes up you get no email, letter in mail, text or anything. They're getting very cocky and it's catching up with them. 3 million people cancelled pay for nonstream cable TV. All these millenials don't watch cable TV anymore. They watch Netflix and Hulu, so good luck with that business strategy to your true, honest, and loyal customers through the years.

You can call and ask to talk to a manager. They won't call back for two days. And if they do call back they know nothing. Very sad. Didn't use to be like this. They use to respect their customers, not anymore. They should thank God every day they combined with AT&T because DirecTV has zero idea how to run a business. They got lucky with NFL package and Time Warner and Spectrum doing even more poor business. Unfortunately we the honest true customer has to pay for that. I mean the worst I've ever been treated in my life. It's 2019, the DirecTV.com sign in hasn't worked for Androids or Samsung phones for OVER SIX MONTHS. You can only sign in on iPhone and computers. Talk about top notch customer appreciation/service.

Original review: March 19, 2019

Since AT&T bought DirecTV the customer service is awful. You can't get through to talk to a real person anymore and when you do one person tells you one thing and the next person the complete opposite. The actual service is a joke for the price. Dropped channels, glitches in the system, channels freezing.

Original review: March 19, 2019

We had DirecTV for nearly 6 years. If it rained, wind blew or any other weather other than sun we lost tv. Each month our bill would come in the amount of $160 to $215 and should have been $69 monthly. It was on auto pay so paid on time. So I would call with account number and set on the phone up to 2 hours a month to get credits. When we finally got it taken care of and had 6 months the correct bill our equipment went out. So 2 weeks without tv and still paying the bill they finally send someone out. We received new equipment but they automatically upgraded us and said we had a new contract and bill doubled. I canceled 2 days later. They said I was paid in advance and keep it for 3 weeks then go to UPS and mail equipment back. 2 months later I’m still fighting that I owe $317.09 plus $200 early cancellation fee. Still getting the run around on this bill.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DIRECTV?

Original review: March 19, 2019

Now that AT&T has taken over Directv, the customer service SUCKS! I predict a cancellation of my account in the very near future... My satellite TV service will soon be going the way of my phone service -- AWAY from AT&T.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I’ve been a customer of DirecTV for almost 6 years. For the past 2 months I haven’t been able to order a movie through the text messaging service. I follow the prompts and when I get to the end of the prompts it’s says, “Sorry we're unable to validate your request at this time.” I called DirecTV and they said, “Oh we can enable your remote to order from the remote.” She then said that all I would have to do would to connect the receiver to the internet, power down the unit and restart. So I followed the instructions and lo and behold it didn’t work.

About a month and a half later we attempted to order a movie again through text, and it still didn’t work. I called DirecTV again and now they’re telling me that there’s cap on every account of $150.00 dollars. I then told her that well that’s really funny because my bill has always been over $150.00 and we’ve been able to order movies in the past. All I heard was silence and whispering. Finally she put me on hold and after 10 min of being on hold I just hung up. Needless to say that I’m about to change providers. By the way not too happy with the AT&T cell service either.

Original review: March 19, 2019

DirecTV is the worst company I have ever dealt with. My dumb ** is done with them Which I should have done a long time ago. They charged me a fee for upgrading our boxes cause they were old and they said it was a free service but they lied and are trying to charge me with what they call a 1 time fee of 99.00 bucks. What the hell. Then I have been having a bill of 95.20 for 3 months then out of the blue goes to 102.66 and I haven’t changed anything on my plan. Well they can get their crap and shove it where the sun never shines and I hope that anyone who reads this will take it serious. Don’t get fooled by the piece of crap that they are! Save your money and move on. Don’t fall for the B.S. that they give you. Firestick and digital antenna here we come, DirecTV can suck it!!!

Original review: March 19, 2019

I joined DirecTV and was told that I was in a 2-year contract and I would receive a discount for two years plus a $200 Visa prepaid card. When all actuality I was in a 2-year contract which only received one year of discounts. I never got the $200 prepaid Visa card. Once I realized my bill had doubled after a year I contacted DirecTV, explain to them what I was told when I started my service and I was put through to about five different people. The one lady stated that the individual who did my initial setup did not take any notes whatsoever. I then had another gentleman tell me this happens all the time and that people with this problem should be forwarded to him so that he can make it right before they cancel their plan. I had already cancelled my plan and went with Dish when I talk to that gentleman.

I finally got a call from a lady telling me that it says on my work order that my subscription was for 24 months and my discount was for 12 months. I told her that's not what I was told on the phone and she explained to me that if I cannot prove he said that then I am going to get hit with a early termination fee and they are completely in the right. I would never subscribe to a service that I know is going to double their bill in 12 months but make me stick around the whole time. They're very misleading and they genuinely do not care about their customers once you sign up with them.

Original review: March 18, 2019

Do not use DirecTV, I canceled my account at the begging of the month and was still billed for the entire month. So I received a 10th of my service for full price. Customer service refused to help stating there is nothing they would do. The company its self is full of thieves. If I could I would have given them a 0 stars.

Original review: March 18, 2019

Watching several shows on stations including Star Wars Return of the Jedi, commercials were inserted while the movie feed continued causing viewers to miss key moments in shows including the scene where Darth Vader kills the Emperor to save his son, Luke Skywalker. Absolutely a buzz-kill and done where the advertiser's, AT&T in this instance would not be received by viewers negatively.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I have been a DirecTV client for almost 10 yrs. My satellite boxes were becoming obsolete, so I called for an upgrade. The customer service guy, said I qualify for a free upgrade and I asked if there would be extra charges and was told no. When the tech came to my house today, with new system, Genie 2 to install. The tech warned me, the system was having technical issues, but a new software fix was due next month 4/19. Well, the tech could not get the new systems to install. He called his boss, he call ISS, he called everyone. 5 hours of trying to install, things were not right.

Finally, someone said DirecTV had cancelled my service. All I needed to do was approve the new subscription which was 2 yr contract and my plan was increasing $30 per new unit. The rep with customer loyalty was honest and told me someone lied to me and I was getting ripped off. So after a total 7 hours the tech was at my residence, I ended up with no new system and actually only have 1 tv working. I will cancelling my DirecTV tomorrow.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I am not satisfied with DirecTV remotes. I pay for 5 in my house. At any given time me and my children are watching TV. When my children go to their room to watch TV one TV will not work because the remote can only handle supposedly three TVs at one time. I think that's a glitch I need to fix. If you're paying for 5 TVs you should be able to watch 5 TVs at one time.

Original review: March 17, 2019

Before AT&T took over DirecTV, I could change service between 2 states with a simple phone call. Having installed new equipment in one location, AT&T would not allow me to activate service in that location. I spent several hours with AT&T multiple representatives trying to activate, but they kept wanting undecipherable numbers which I didn't understand. So the next day I brought in my IT guy (at an hourly rate) to figure out how to activate the service at this location. He started calling (with multiple wait times) to figure out what was needed.

He went through at least 5 different technicians saying "no problem". The line was dropped at least 4 times requiring going thru the telephone maze once again. Finally one tech said that the 2 states had to be split into 2 different accounts. So another hour to find the right dept. to set up a separate account. They required a credit check even though I've had the account on auto-pay for 16 years. They didn't care. "Our procedure". Since I had a freeze on Equifax CR Union because of the several years ago data breaches, I spent an hour getting it un-freezed for AT&T. At least this time AT&T stayed on the phone while they obtained my credit info (which is at the top).

After more inane questions, I'm told that a technician will come to install the equipment. "But the equipment is already installed... I just need it activated". "Oh, our procedure is to have the technician come and install it." Believe it or not, at this point, I and my IT guy had been on the phone for 5 1/2 hours! So several days later, the technician comes and removes the already installed equipment which I had already paid for and puts in new the same equipment that was already there. Which again costs me. The TV is working now. I wonder what headaches I'll go thru when I return to the other state location? Maybe I should have taken my wife's advice and given up watching TV.

Original review: March 17, 2019

I have a 4K receiver. I thought it was an upgrade but soon found out that the 4K receiver did not work as well as the one I had. It kept freezing! Called many times with negative results. I had two repairmen come to the house and told me there was a software problem with the 4K receiver and there was nothing they could do! I requested that they take back the 4K and give me what I had before. The serviceman told me that if I do that I would automatically generate a new two year contract! That has to be one of the stupidest things I have ever heard! I’m downgrading just to be able to watch TV without it freezing and they want to penalize me! DirecTV has gone to hell since AT&T bought them. BEWARE of their sneaky ways!

Original review: March 16, 2019

I would rate them lower than one but cannot. I have been with them for almost 20 years, always great tv and awesome service. No problems. Until last few years. Finally have had enough and cancelled my service. Few months ago I requested new equipment that I was leasing from them for two years, it never arrived and I never got the credit I was promised. So I called to cancel the service. This after last year my monthly price doubled and they claimed my discounts ran out, had to fight and BBB to reinstate the two year pricing I was promised. Well my service still running and Dish coming to install this morning. I called and they claim that they are unable to disconnect my service until the end of the month... "No way to change the AT&T system" is what I was cited. Crooks and liars they have become. Used to be topnotch. Shame.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I was a DirecTV customer for approx 5 yrs. Recently my monthly bill kept increasing. I was charged $1.50 for a regional sports program which I did not order. Then I was charged $8.99 for a protection policy, again which I did not order. I called Customer Service to find out why I was being charged for things I did not order. I was put on hold several times while my acct was "being researched."I couldn't get an answer I finally told the man to forget about it & called Cox Communications to reinstate my cable service. My cable was installed on Sat March 2nd & DirecTV DVR was disconnected.

On Monday March 4th I called DirecTV customer service & was on hold for over 20 minutes. I had to hang up & called back that afternoon. I was on the phone with "Trevor" for over an hour. I was told that he couldn't access my acct to verify who I was without my passcode. I told him I had no idea what a passcode was. He had my first & last name, my address, my phone # & my acct #. I even gave him my password to sign into my acct. He needed a passcode. Before using several choice words I told him that I would be stopping payment on my direct billing payment, thank you very much. On Tuesday March 5th I called my bank & put a stop payment on my acct for any & all bills presented by DirecTV.

On March 13th the bill for services for DirecTV was presented for payment & refused so I received an email informing me of this. I called again with the same runaround. They need a passcode to access my acct. I feel a full name, address, phone # & acct # should be sufficient to cancel my services. I will pay the final bill as soon as my acct has been closed & I receive an email with confirmation to that effect. Likewise I will return the DVR & remote upon receipt of that email.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I have never been treated so poorly, I have been with DIRECTV since 2006 and after 13 years I have to cancel my service with them. I have been trying to upgrade my service for 2 months now after having a tech come out and telling me my boxes were old and needed to be changed out. 5 different techs have come out and none of them was able to do anything because the order has been incorrect. I had one of AT&T's reps sit in my house for over 2 hours trying to help rectify the issue. I have placed over 10 phone calls to the company. Got offered wonderful deals when trying to cancel my service then received bills with higher than my normal bill amount. After speaking with a floor supervisor "Bebe" which is the rudest person I have ever encountered I have decided my business means nothing to this company and they don't deserve my hard earned $181.00 a month. Service cancelled!

Original review: March 14, 2019

Was told by DirecTV that I was going to lose local channels on 3/17/2019 so they sent me 2 receivers by FedEx. One was dated 2010 the other 2012. I installed new receivers and called 800 #. 2 hours later on phone they could not get them to work. They told me they would sent out a technician in 2 weeks. I installed my old receivers and watched TV for 10 minutes. Service went out with error code 711. I called them back. They said very sorry there is nothing they could do. Have to wait 2 weeks for serviceman. I have DirecTV for 18 years. Waste of time talked to 7 supervisors all calling from America. I had several small problems over the years but nothing like this since AT&T took over. They thanked me very much for being a loyal customer while bending me over!

Original review: March 13, 2019

These people are liars. They claim to have mailed my final bill and I never received. Turned me over to collections and claimed if I paid collections that my balance would still remain to be paid to DirecTV. So why was it turned over to collects if I still have to pay Direct TV too. Makes not sense. I pay my bills so if they say I have balance why was there no bill received and why did customer service tell me there was not balance when I disconnected.

Original review: March 13, 2019

Have been a DirecTV customer for 13+ years, once AT&T took over the customer service, it went straight down the tubes. Not only is it near impossible to talk to a supervisor, the company is involved in shady practices with regard to their billing where they promise to apply a promotion but that it takes 2-3 billing cycles to apply the promotion (where they just hope you forget about it and drop it altogether). I finally spoke to a supervisor and was promised that they would look into it personally and get back to me within 72 hours... That was 7 days ago and no response. I just canceled my service and refuse to pay the current bill. Absolutely horrible customer service.

Details of issue: Called DirecTV starting at noon on 3.6.19, 3 times trying to talk to a supervisor. Was transferred once and sat on hold for over 30 mins. 2nd call I got a woman with a Jamaican accent, who wouldn't transfer me to a supervisor unless giving her the details of why, then after holding for a while she said all the supervisors were busy and to call back. I said no, then she said I would be holding for a LONG time. Stayed on 2nd call hold then got my cell and called a 3rd time. Spoke to a rep to cancel service and asked to speak to a supervisor. Spoke to Terrance (supervisor) #**, told him of issue. He said he would look into it, and go over the recordings, then get back to me personally, within 72 hours. Entire 3rd call was recorded via app on my cell.

Original review: March 13, 2019

You be better with other provider. Worse customer rep, sales and technical assistance. I cancelled my service after the contract expired (24 months in Dec 2018). I was charged with early cancellation fee as they allegedly told me that it was because I received a new equipment in Dec 2017. I explained that I had one of the LEASED mini Genie replaced because it ceased to work. It was not connecting. DirecTV sent me a new box and I returned the broken one. After verification they agree that the fee would not be charged. BUT IT WAS. I did not receive any final bill, until recently I was able to see through my myAT&T website as it now the DIRECTV contract shows as cancelled.

I called several times and I was once promised that the refund would be credited to my credit card account (Autopay). After a week, since I did not see any credit in my cc, I called back. I was on the phone for about 2 hours, the same horror stories, was transferred to AT&T, AT&T U-verse, back to DirecTV and I could not file a dispute complaint. Their Sales and Customer Reps need urgently training and the DIRECTV should open a channel where this complaints can be filed and addressed. I would not only not recommend to use DIRECTV, but strongly advise NOT to use this service. I am also considering terminate my AT&T wireless service, since they are AT&T. AT&T should have stronger position towards DIRECTV as they share the AT&T name and logo. This is no longer acceptable AT&T claims that they are a "separate company". Maybe one month after the merger, however after few years, this is ridiculous.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I had DirecTV for a few years. The first year everything was perfect. Customer service was helpful and my monthly bill was exactly what we wanted to pay. After a year, everything changed. My bill went way up and when I tried to talk to customer service and dispute a charge, they weren't helpful AT ALL. After a few disputes, I was referred to their customer loyalty department, which I can say were very helpful and brought my bill down for a couple of more months. But like with everything else, that didn't last long. After a couple of years of back and forth to keep my bill where I wanted, I decided to call it quits.

Now this is when things got very interesting and believe it or not, worse. Customer service was worse. I would be put on hold for over 10 minutes and my call would be mysteriously disconnected, which made me start all over again through the automated machines until I spoke with an actual person. And I hate to be this person, as I have a slight accent, but every single person I spoke with had such a heavy accent that I could barely understand them. I spoke with multiple people until I was able to get my service disconnected, and by then their friendliness was a little too late. I even received calls trying to convince me to keep their service. Where was this great customer service before?

I loved having DirecTV at home, but their billing a customer service need a lot of work. After disconnecting my service, I received 2 statements stating that I have a credit on my account. Meaning I overpaid my last bill in order to disconnect. I had to call multiple times to get an answer as to when I will be receiving that money back. Once I receive my money back, I would be extremely happy to be done and over with DirecTV. DirecTV, please work on customer service. I must add though, my parents also have DirecTV but always go through the Spanish option when calling. I've had to help them a handful of times, and that experience was a bit better.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I have been paying the DirecTV bill in my house for 7 years. In that time, it has gone up over $20. My mother, and I, called today to dispute a bogus charge. Both reps we spoke to could have cared less about us and had no interest whatsoever in solving our problem. This is why I DESPISE AT&T: They provide VERY POOR SERVICE, at the highest price imaginable. They also outsource their call center jobs, as both reps we spoke to had ridiculously thick accents and BAD ATTITUDES to match.

Original review: March 12, 2019

We have been long time satisfied DirecTV customers until AT&T took over! Recently we were advised that we'll lose our tv service on 17 Mar unless you change out your equipment (interior tv boxes and roof satellite dish). Your installer came out and said that he cannot switch out the old dish on our roof with the new one because it's located more than one step off his ladder. He said a "3rd party" would have to climb our roof to do it. His alternative was to place your new, huge, dish over our front door or put it on an ugly pole near our house (which was rules out after he saw our large trees). With few choices, we were willing to pay for a 3rd party ourselves to climb the roof. But he said he was not authorized to recommend one for liability reasons.

He pretty much just shrugged and said we're screwed. We've spent weeks searching for a 3rd party ourselves, hoping that even if we find one AT&T will accept them! We are beyond FRUSTRATED, working to solve this problem ourselves before our tv service is soon disconnected. This would have been avoided had AT&T simply replaced the old dish on the system they themselves originally put on our roof! The very least they could do is provide us the name of local authorized 3rd party company to replace the dish. We've tried numerous times to get advice from your call center based in the Philippines. All they've done is make the situation 1000% worse!

They speak in non-understandable gibberish and refuse to transfer to English speaking agents. They won't answer questions directly, but rather reply with ridiculous statements unrelated to our questions. Their fall back is over talking us and continuously stating they're sorry - even though it's obvious they're not. When they tire of listening, they transfer to another department of equally heavily accented Asians who then hang up on customers. It's a joke! The Call Center's only "accomplishments" was to set up a second appointment with an installer who no-showed us after we devoted the entire day to waiting for for him. Many, many calls later they set up a 3rd appointment - who turned out to be the SAME guy who came out in the first time and didn't help!!!

Our back is now against the wall with few choices for tv service in our small town and with a looming time limit to solve the problem before losing service! Your outrageously unprofessional company has a total lack of concern for its customers. You may get by with that for the time being. But in this country (not Asia) competition is encouraged. You can be sure that at our earliest opportunity, we'll be past customers. We will also do our best to alert others to our bad experience with you, so that they won't fall in the same trap.

Original review: March 12, 2019

We have been with DirecTV for many years and we on occasion will need a DirecTV service tech to help us out. We contacted DirecTV and they sent a Service Tech out to us named Pat **. I can't begin to share with you and your CEO how pleased we are with the professionalism Pat demonstrated and how he explained and corrected the problem. We have a total of 6 receivers in our home and RV and Pat corrected the concern we had in the bedroom receiver and answered some minor questions I had about one of the other receivers. Pat has to be a valuable part of the DirecTV Service Group. Thank You Pat.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I signed up for DirecTV three months ago. I specifically requested a due date of the first of the month as I only receive one paycheck at the end of each month. My due date happened to fall on the 26th of each month. The original sales rep promised if I didn't like my due date (she wasn't able to tell me when that would be) all I would have to do was pay the first month's bill. After that I could call back and have my due date changed. That was a total lie. I assume she lied to get me to sign up at that time.

I have spoken to numerous people and they have all told me they are sorry I was given the wrong info but that is the way it is. All I need is a 4 day change. If you are thinking of signing up you might want to rethink your options. If this company is going to stand by their employees who lie to get your business is this really the company you want to deal with. I realize this is a small issue but if they are not even willing to click a button to resolve it what will they do with a larger problem?

Original review: March 12, 2019

I have only written one bad review in my life online about a company or service. This is my second so I don't take this lightly. We previously had U-verse with ATT and my wife spoke with a salesperson at a local big box store and he convinced her to upgrade to DirecTV as it was a much better deal and had better channel selections. Was told that ATT now owned DirecTV and they are one company now. After spending hours on the phone over the past 5 months trying to get our bill combined. They kept telling us that the request was in but it took forever and I had to pay ATT and then pay DirecTV. The salesman told us that they had a feature where you can go back 72 hours on shows and watch again. After talking with the support they said that it wasn't working.

We had issues with the cable service and they sent two techs at times to try to fix it - one tech told us that we needed fiber internet to be able to use On Demand which by the way didn't work. Which wasn't needed. As we signed up for the service and were finalizing and about to end the install - we were told that there was an additional optional charge for their equipment if it failed. We would be responsible for the tech call and it could be over $100 just to come out. So we signed up for the additional monthly fee to cover their tech calls if their equipment failed. I think it was around $8 to $10 extra a month for this warranty to cover their equipment and repair if needed.

At one point our internet modem would just power off and reboot - most of the time the internet speeds were super slow and at times no upload speed at all. They ended up sending out 2 different techs for 2 tech calls. They observed it happening and we also had a video of it happening and speedtest.net results and they were unable to fix it. They swapped out the modem and connected our cable at the box to another port but nothing helped. The final tech came out and swapped out a power transformer and that helped with the reboot issue but not the internet being intermittent. Eventually over time it became more stable but never consistent.

At this point, we heard about another provider in the area that had internet speeds up to 400 MB down so we inquired with Directv about canceling our service. They told us that we were locked into a 24-month contract. I was told that we might have to pay a cancellation fee of up to $160 for TV and $60 for internet prorated per month left on the contract. When I finally paid my final bill - I spoke with them and they said that I only owed around $60 for my final bill and that would close my account and I won't have any balance due.

So this month I get a bill from DirecTV for close to $400 and all it said is due now and the description said - previous balance. I called DirecTV and spoke with them. They asked if I returned my equipment and I said yes - it was about a month ago when I did that. They said that it might be a cancellation fee that I needed to pay. I explained all the I said above that was told last month bill would be final and nothing due.

They asked me if I was talking with ATT or DirecTV. I told them I thought it was DirecTV and that I thought you were all one company now. They began to tell me that they were still working on joining the companies together. Another support person told me that they weren't joined but that they were sister companies. It's been going on for 7 months and my bill was combined about 4 months into the process. I am now told that DirecTV shows that I owe a cancellation for close to $400 and that I also needed to talk with ATT to see if they will also be charging a cancellation fee as well.

I asked if they could connect me to ATT - they did and I spoke with them - someone overseas in support and they had limited access to my account. Their dept was the U-verse dept and they said that they couldn't have full access to my DirecTV account and also asked for my U-verse account. I told them I only had the DirecTV account so they weren't able to help me. I offered to give them my phone and address to look it up they couldn't get any more info than that I owed close to $400 with DirecTV.

I asked to talk with their highest level support and was told that they couldn't help me anymore from U-verse and that I needed to talk with DirecTV again to find out what I might owe from ATT U-verse in case they also had a cancellation fee. This didn't make any sense at all to me. I just want to talk with someone that can give me a solid answer and over the past 7 months I haven't seen that at all. I am on hold and on calls with them as I write this - I am on with my 4th person now - hopefully, I can get a solid answer on this. It's been 1 hour and 40 mins so far at this point and I am still on hold trying to find out. 4th person I finally had to ask for is in customer retention - which really doesn't make sense as my account is already closed.

A final resolution is that it's being escalated to a higher level and they will get back to me in 5 to 7 business days to find out what I am calling for. 1:52 total time for the call and waiting for them to get back to me. It just seems like AT&T and DirecTV are still two separate companies and no one is talking and just point back to the other company. Just a totally bad experience from a customer's point of view.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I have been a DirecTV customer for 22 years. Two months ago one of our receivers went on the fritz. So I call technical support, inform them of the error code we are getting. Try a couple of fixes, but nothing corrects the issue. A technician is required. So we schedule a service call for Tuesday 12-4pm. I take a half day off work. No one shows, no one calls. So at 5pm, I call back to customer service. They apologize profusely and set up another technician for later that evening. Again, a no show. So we reschedule another appointment for 9-12 on Saturday. Again a no show. Reschedule another appointment for the afternoon. Again a no show. Reschedule another appointment for Monday. Another no show. Reschedule again for Tuesday. Another no show.

Seven times I have been stood up, without a call or or note. Along the way we determine that the receiver needs to be replaced. DirecTV is willing to FedEx a new receiver without a technician. I can install it and send return the broken one, all for the price of $99.00. I can pay to do the service myself. This has become a game now. It's a quest. This company has gone downhill so far, so quickly it is amazing. I have never had this kind of problem in 22 years. I am totally and completely at a loss of what to do next.

Original review: March 12, 2019

Sick of Fixer Upper, Fixer-Upper, Fixer-Upper, Fixer-Upper day after day... I know there are new shows out there please find some, Windy City Rehab, the guy that does the million dollar rehab in New York, Hometown, all of these are good.

DIRECTV expert review by ConsumerAffairs

With more than 39 million customers, DIRECTV is one of the largest providers of paid TV services. The company is headquartered in El Segundo, California, and it provides programming to customers through satellite transmissions.

• Exceptional customer service: The company is rated #1 in customer service compared to other cable and satellite TV providers, according to the American Customer Satisfaction Index.

• Never miss a game: The NFL Sunday Ticket ensures all subscribers can watch out-of-market games.

• Expansive HD catalog: DIRECTV has 195 HD channels, including AMC HD, ABC Family HD, Hallmark Channel HD, among many, many others.

• Record from any television: DIRECTV service comes with an HD Genie that records shows from up to eight televisions throughout a home or office.

• Watch from anywhere: Customers can enjoy family favorites and recorded shows using a mobile device with an Internet connection.

• Best for: Television fans who watch a range of programs and customers with special interests.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs