1.49/5
Based on 1,508 ratings submitted in the last year

DIRECTV

For years, DIRECTV has been committed to providing the greatest digital television experience to over 37 million customers in both the U.S and Latin America. Every aspect of our company is centered on bringing each customer state-of-the-art service.

We understand that it is important to our customers that they work with a company that respects and understands their wants and needs, which is why DIRECTV’s employees are trained and ready to assist and answer any of your digital television needs. For the #1 satellite TV service in the country, choose DIRECTV.

View More View More

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

16462 DIRECTV Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

Very bad service. Waited over 8 hours for service even though the service tech called me at 9 am to tell me he will be an hour early. Nobody showed. Called customer service 4 times. Keep getting the runaround. They keep telling me to wait for service at 8 pm at night when my appointment was 12 to 4 pm. Would give 0 stars if I could.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I called Customer Service at 1-800-351-5000, two days ago. The person that answered went into a sales pitch for a new customer service contract called Solution Center. I said, "No I am not interested," but the guy kept on talking and would not address my problem so I hung up and called back. The next person, a lady, started the same sales pitch. I said no and she would not accept this answer. She said she would not transfer me to a technician unless I signed up for the service. I did and then was transferred to a technician. We resolved my problem by resetting the receiver and SWIM.

All is good on that issue now. However, I did not like the relentless sales pitch and wondered if it was truly a part of DirecTV or a scam. If is part of Directv then I am OK. But, if it is a scam I will report it to my credit card company and dispute the charge. I will be waiting for your response a couple of days and if I don’t hear from you I will dispute the charge.

Get expert buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I ordered cable and internet through DIRECTV/AT&T. I hadn’t even had it installed yet and apparently the guy that bundled and sold me the package changed my password and security question. So I had to physically go find the nearest store to fix their mistake and then after two weeks of waiting for my router found out he sold me a bundle but never ordered internet for me. Of course no one knows what’s going on and I can’t get any sort of information from customer service, "No I’m sorry. We totally screwed up." So now on top of that the internet that was supposed to be here that I had to reach out to now wants a $100 upfront fee which was never mentioned originally. You seriously need to get your ** together.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I received a Genie DVR from DirecTV. Shortly after that, I received an email from them stating that the whole home DVR service would be free for 3 months and $3 a month after that. The email also stated that If I canceled that service during the free period, I would not be charged at the end of the 3 months. I called customer service to cancel the service and I was told it wasn’t showing on my account and not to worry about it. Well, after the 3 months were up, they started charging me $3 a month for the service.

I called customer service again to cancel it. After a half hour on the phone, I was told that the feature was built into the box and even though I wasn’t using the whole home DVR service, I had no choice but to still pay for it. I asked them about the email I received to cancel the service, and no one had an answer. The joke of it all is that I only have one box so there is no way I can even use the service. Very unethical charge as far as I’m concerned.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Every 12 months, they remove my discounts! I've been a loyal customer for 10 plus years, and my time is valuable! Can't loyal customers be treated the best? Not in this world anymore. It's how much you can take from the person... what can I get past them, even for 1 month. I just want what is a fee, stay a fee, unless I leave. Why not give the loyal customers the discounts, provide long time discounts over time, and keep customers? Crazy, change your philosophy DirecTV!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DIRECTV?

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I have had DirecTV for 2 1/2 years. I have watch OKC Thunder Basketball for 2 1/2 on FSOK-Channel 675. I watched the Thunder Friday night, 1/11/19. I tuned to channel 675 last night - NO Thunder. Message said I have to "buy" the game. Spoke with Customer Service - they told me the game was Blacked Out. Today at work, several of my co-workers watched the game last night. NOT Blacked Out. I did an online chat. She offered me a Sports Package for an additional fee. She would never acknowledge that my account had been changed in any way.

Then she asked for my zip code. I provided it (73013) and she said the FSOK was not available in my area. WHAT THE HECK! I have watched Thunder for 2 1/2 years. She said my only recourse was to call FoxSports and talk to them. Terrible service! Would never acknowledge that 675 was included in my package. Would never acknowledge that my account had been changed in any way. Terrible! Terrible! Terrible!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

In September of 2018 we got behind on our bill and they shut off our satellite. After a month they sent us a letter saying if we paid half of what we owe they would waive the rest and bring the account up to date. We paid the half and another 45.00. Don’t know what that was for lol. We decided we couldn’t afford 220.00 a month for cable so we cancelled and returned the equipment.

Got a call from a collection agency today for our final bill of 95.00 for with late charges, 5 months later! This was for the days that they had restored service on their end but it was not on our end and they told me that was a technical issue. Just spent 45 minutes mostly on hold and they say I owe them the final bill even though the service was not on in our home. I guess I was supposed to reset the receiver after they restored the service, therefore a technical issue. What a joke of a company, robbery. I will pay it but will never ever do business with DirecTV or ATT. Stay clear. Nothing but a scam!!!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I signed up for DIRECTV with promises of great service, and all I have received is terrible customer service. It started with the technician not showing up and not calling to tell me he wasn’t showing up. I drove three hours to meet him and not a word. I was promised a credit for my inconvenience and then they rescheduled. Every time I call to ask about the credit that has not shown up on my bill or in the form of a Visa card that they also promised, no one seems to know what I am talking about, and I am switched from one department to another until I give up and hang up.

I have a total of 4 hours on the phone with them just to resolve this and get the credit that I was promised. I still have not received the bill credit or visa rewards they promised. I have never had service this bad for any utility, subscription, or business that I have ever dealt with. If you have any other choice, which I did not, please choose the other option. Stay away from DIRECTV now owned by AT&T. They are by far the worst.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I could not update my account online because they were having issues with the mobile site. They could take a payment over the phone but could not take my updated payment information. So sad when you can’t get people to do a basic job. Do not happy with this company.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

Had the service for 9 months. Nothing but issues and then last month doubled my bill. Called and canceled and still they generated another bill and charged me more. Called again and all they seem to do is write notes. Customer service is clueless, cancellation department is does not know anything. Each time I am transferred I have to start all over again. Billing is in India or Philippines and they have no idea about the process. The customer service executive should be fired. How in the world he got this job? Typical phone company. No wonder they lost the landlines business and now screwed up Directv. Too busy getting Golf Tee times. Never will use any ATT service. Canceled mobile after 10 years because of same issue.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

This is honestly a scam. I started an account just to get me through the World Cup in June of 2018 and it has been a nightmare since. It is now 1/15/19 and they have charged me for the second time. I canceled it the day after the World Cup ended and I am still getting charged 7 months later. I am not even getting charged once a month - they are throwing in payments here and there. One 3 MONTHS after I canceled and the other was 7 MONTHS after I canceled. It's a joke and to be honest seems like a total scam. STAY AWAY from this place as a whole. Not even the free trials are safe.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

After cancelling my account I have made 3 phone calls to pay my final bill. The first 2 calls state it takes 15 minutes to receive the "Final bill" via PDF. There will be a $5 to pay over the phone, which I am unwilling to pay. I normally pay on-line, but after cancelling I can no longer sign into my account. I call back the 3rd time... I am told the email can take up to 24 hours...which it's past. I request another PDF statement AND a paper statement. THEN she tells me I can pay via automated service for no fee and she will transfer me. Only she transfers me to the pay via phone...for $5. I express my frustration and the customer service lady tells me she "will see what she can do" and the line goes dead. TERRIBLE WASTE OF TIME!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

We switched to Directv because we were promised the monthly bill would be less for a comparable service. That was an outright lie {it increased by 18.00$} and we were later told by a supervisor that they probably just said that to make a sale. When you call for "another" overbilling or a fake late charge they pass you from one rep to the other, with each one asking for the exact same account info and problem description, then each rep will place you on hold. Their customer service reps will repeat this until you either give up or are "accidentally" disconnected. The only info you get is that you have a contract and it will cost you a lot of money to cancel. Should have went with Dish Network or anyone else! Avoid Directv until they can get it together and quit scamming people.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I'm not even sure where to start. I know that my blood pressure has spiked just dealing with DirecTV today. I moved my services from one residence to another early October 2018. I was asked if I wanted to upgrade my boxes and I asked if I could keep my old. They told me I could keep my old (still waiting on DirecTV to pull this call and call me back). FYI it has been over a month now. The technician comes to my new home and starts hooking up new boxes and said that was his order and I would not be charged. I asked if he could use my old ones and he told me no. He took the old ones with him. So I get a bill with additional charges and locked into another 24 months with DirecTV. In addition they have been charging me for 7 tvs and I only have 3.

I was promised this was fixed in Nov 2018 but guess who got another bill with 7 tvs being charged? Yep me! Spent hrs on the phone with DirecTV today and the offshore team are so rude. One rep clearly got rude with me and hung up on me, another one that was supposed to be a supervisor was very rude and cold transferred me to someone else. They have no compassion and I'm shocked DirecTV would allow their customers to be treated like this just to save some money by offshoring. As soon as I can get out of this contract I would never go back to them and will not recommend them to a soul on this earth. Terrible customer service with the exception of the lady on their onshore team today and I'm really questioning their integrity. I have no trust in this company. Please read the reviews. We are not lying. I learned the hard way.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I am a long time DirecTV customer. I moved and once I moved into my new house I re-subscribed to DirecTV. They offered me a $300 Visa card for coming back. There was never any mention about having to call them regarding the card. They said I would have it in approximately 6 weeks. I called regarding this 3 or 4 months later since I had not received it. The woman told me, yes I should have gotten it but put in another request to have it sent out. Still no card.

So I called again today only to be switched from one person to another. I finally ask for a supervisor and spoke to a Desiree. She told me it was past 120 days since I called and therefore it was invalid. I told her I had called about this before, but she said she had no record of it... BS. So they are refusing to send me the card. A simple solution would have been to just send me the card they promised me, but no... so now I am having to write this negative review. DirecTV you are in the customer service industry... provide quality customer service!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

This should be a 1/2 star rating. DirecTV provides horrible customer service and should retire from even answering the phone. The execution of customer service can be compared to a daycare with children answering the phone while they practice reading and wait for their parents to pick them up. They offer a service where you can transfer the billing responsibilities to someone else, say a tenant or family member. I sat on hold with every imaginable department, talked to roughly 20 different reps who all said the same thing, "Sorry", "I can definitely help you with that", "I understand your frustration" to only end up saying, "Oh, you need to talk to (different department)".

Eventually I would talk to a supervisor but they would inevitably put me on hold and after 15 minutes I would ALWAYS be re-queued for the automated system. Like they didn't want to or couldn't help so they just passed the buck, so to speak. Reps would sometimes ask for a callback number but never called me back after a handful of re-queues or disconnects. Talking to new reps meant I was telling my story and hearing the same script over and over.

At the end of the day, literally spending 8 hours on the phone, someone finally said they would escalate my ticket but I wouldn't get a call back for another 24-48 hours. I got the call back on the 2nd day from a rep who told me that I needed to talk to a DIFFERENT DEPARTMENT! Thanks for calling me to tell me that I'm currently talking to the wrong person.

Apparently the billing department can't make outgoing calls so this rep who called me had to call back 3 times, because I refused to sit on hold, before he actually had something to tell me. "Since DirecTV was bought by AT&T, (2 years ago he mentioned) when I or anyone sign up for DirecTV (for me less than 6 months ago) there'll be an error when the accounts try to switch over billing responsibilities." Well since they were able to recreate the problem on their end and were unable to fix it, they confirmed the issue wasn't because of something I was doing, which was a little comforting, but when someone is on the phone the only option that's talked about is filling out the form online.

This is what took 8 hours of hold time to confirm wasn't working. So the escalated help wasn't helpful nor make any logical sense. So the service/system has been broken for 2 years? Why are customers being advised to use it and being told it's the only way to do the transfer? So after talking to unhelpful reps for 8 hours and waiting 2 more days for a specialist to relay information from a different department, the grand solution to the error was to visit my local DirecTV store where they should be able to help. After all that I just decided to deal with it and accept the fact I wasn't going to be transferring billing responsibilities.

Since my luck with DirecTV had been so good thus far I decided to try and get some sort of compensation for the complete waste of time I just experienced. The first rep I talked to essentially laughed that I wanted compensation for the time I spent on the phone. I hung up and called back knowing I'd be able to talk to someone else, which shines light on the consistency of service with DirecTV... What? You don't like the response you got? Call back and talk to someone else, maybe they're having a good day and will actually help you. After stating my experience this new rep was much more helpful and said I would have my bill cut in half for the next 3 billing cycles which totaled roughly $180 so I was happy about that. I'm hesitant at this point to leave it on a good note because I just got my bill for this month, a week after the compensation was promised, and it's for the full amount, not discounted.

I honestly don't have the patience to even call and confirm that the compensation will start on the next bill. This could be a a convenient unspoken tactic of theirs, people just get pissed off so much that they end up dealing with whatever problem they have because solving the issue would require calling DirecTV and trying to navigate their Labyrinth Automated System. So will the bill be lower next month? Not sure but the next time I call in is at the end of my contract to not renew and ship them their equipment. I know customer service is hard across the board but I have never had an experience like this that DirecTV has privileged me with. If I had to choose another TV service I'd probably go with Dish TV or just play more video games.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

DirecTV has been having genie software issues since their software update in May of 2018 causing me to have to reset my box every 3 days to see my recorded shows and to get the genie to connect to the internet. In calling customer service, I was told it was a known issue with the software and they were waiting for a new release. They finally pushed out an update on Jan 9, 2019. With this update, the picture and box lock up after 30 minutes of viewing either live TV or recorded shows. The only way to get the box to work or picture to show is by resetting box.

I have called customer service and have had a tech come out. Both have told me this is a known software issue and they had to escalate it to the engineering department. My service is unusable and I cannot get a credit until it is fixed so I can call back and request a credit from the time it was out until it is actually fixed. Keep in mind, the last time I called, they haven’t fixed the issue since May of 2018. If the issue is never fixed, I guess I can never get a credit.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

Made an order today for the first time, picked the entertainment package which online states 40/month, they however charge it at 45/month. Be careful. All packages are $5 more at check out. Also I thought I was getting a TV+ internet bundle when I ordered over the phone, got no internet when I an email receipt, turns out they don't service my area with internet.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

DirecTV unfortunately is a nightmare. I have experienced nothing but issues ie. recording, constantly losing signal, equipment failure. Contacting them by phone is an all day event. The bottom line is that they do not value their customers.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I have spent another hour on the phone with DirecTV customer service. I have to call every month to get a credit on a double charge for the NFL package. This time I was told they can NOT fix the problem. I just have to call back every month until the charges stop. I can not get rid of them without paying an enormous fee. I have been dealing with this from Aug 2018 until now and will have to continue until March 2019.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

It seems AT&T/DirecTV have "whitewashed" complaints about their FAILURES in their programming coding to Receivers and Genies. For perhaps 2+ months, selecting a recorded show/movie too often results in a black-screen and then a report of "Not Support"! Really, what language was this form of English translated from? This, I've come to read about, is a bizarre issue reported back as far as perhaps 2002! It still EXISTS! WHY? The 2nd reason I'm reporting this is because of DirecTV receivers deciding, by themselves, to re-record ALL the old episodes that I've already watched AND deleted! For this issue, I was forced to call them (~12/15) to complain about lost time to deal with the deletion of re-recorded shows. Some of these show up as "Last Chance"! Some even show up with $$ signs to pay to watch?

Another issue I called them about was for buffering/glitching that caused the loss of several minutes of the show, and thus ruining the experience. Both of these issues resulted in my demand for reimbursement for time, which was granted (~$38). I was told these issues were going to be SOLVED in a "Roll-Out" software update on 12/30. I'm now reporting that, as of 1/8/19, I have several shows with ALL OLD episodes now re-recorded. I also experienced the "Not Support" error as well. I rebooted EVERYTHING, hoping/praying that these issues will disappear FOREVER! Barring that... I'm seeking others to begin a Class-Action Suit charging AT&T/DirecTV with "Failure to Perform". I will now be posting this to FaceBook to be shared.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I decided to get TV, phone and internet service after speaking with a sales agent for DirecTV. The TV service was turned on very quickly. However, the phone service was subcontracted to my local telephone company who told me they couldn't provide the telephone service at the rate quoted by the DirecTV rep. When I asked about the internet service, I was told I had to contact AT&T. AT&T informed me they couldn't provide internet service in my neighborhood. I canceled my DirecTV service and arranged to move to Spectrum. Now several months later I received a collections notice from an agency working on behalf of DirecTV. I called the agency, they took notes and suggested I contact DirecTV also. I spent 90 minutes on the phone last night getting handed off to one DirecTV rep after another. The last one told me the $420 cancellation fee was defensible and that I had to pay it. I will never do business with DirecTV again.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

My name is Cynthia ** and I have DirecTV in Harnett County NC. I've been with this company for over 10 years. This past year, there have been constant monthly increases to my bill. I called in the beginning of December to get this corrected. The rep offered me the sports package free and lowered my bill to 131.00. In January I get a bill for over $200. I called and asked them to correct the bill. A week later I receive a late Payment notice for $198 and my account balance said over $430. This is ridiculous. I contacted them twice today. The first rep offered me a chance to work it out with an account manager and was going to send me shipping label to return some old boxes. The transfer didn't go through and we were disconnected. The second rep Dan hung up. Something needs to be done about the customer service and billing team this definitely has me done with DirecTV.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I had been a 14 year customer of DirecTV and had never had an issue with their repair services. In November 2018 I had a Genie unit fail. They sent replacement and scheduled a technician to arrive in three days and dropped shipped a replacement unit which arrived a day before technician was scheduled to arrive. As it was a simple disconnect old unit and hook up new unit I followed the activation guidelines and tried to activate unit. I called the activation number. The technician tried but couldn't activate the unit and would ship a new replacement. I informed them that the as scheduled for next day. Tech arrived and was able to activate unit. Three weeks later I turned on tv and got message unit was not activated.

After 5 weeks of having seven different technicians come to my home they couldn't fix problem. One technician was scheduled to come out and o and upgrade to eliminate the problem, he arrived told me he had the upgrade work order but didn't have any equipment on truck to do upgrade. A tech was scheduled Christmas eve to be here between 8 am and 12 pm. Received text couldn't make morning but be here between 12pm to 4 pm at 3:38 received another text wouldn't make it by 4 did I still want him to come. Replied yes. Approx. 4:30 wife observed tech pulling into driveway no phone call.

I went outside to talk to tech and he had already driven off. I immediately called Directv and was told their system showed he was at my home. This kind of issues with DirecTV went on for all of five weeks. I was on the phone everyday 5 to 6 hrs trying to get issue resolved. You never get the same person when you call and when they transfer you end up repeating the problem. It appears to me since AT&T took over service has quit. I have dropped my DirecTV service after 14 years and will never go back.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Nightmare is the only word to sum up my past 14 months with DirecTV. Forget the fact that I have been an AT&T Cell customer for the past 15 years. Initial salesman “ Mark **” and his supervisor “Paul” completely deceived me. When I called and talked to a min. Of 8 different representatives (all of whom I got names and ID numbers); Over the course of several months and they each said it was being sent to the escalation dept. team. I was to receive a phone call back. 14 months later I’m still waiting. All the hours on the phone with these people was a complete waste of my life. I was happy to pay the cancellation fees to be done with this deceptive company. I’ve also canceled my AT&T security service and am canceling my long time cell service with AT&T before month end. Never again will I give AT&T one red cent of mine. Boycotting AT&T forever and will not miss the nightmare of AT&T.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I decided to get DirecTV back at the end of June 2018. I was quoted a price for my DirecTV channels, internet and home phone in a bundle. I even asked to make sure before I agreed to the deal. So imagine my frustration having to call EVERY month about my bill being WAY more than what was quoted to me. And EVERY month they say something about a "rebate" and Every Month the bill is different and way more than I wanted. So today, I unhooked it all. I called to cancel and then...THEN they actually wanted to help me find the right package for me. Where was this offer EVERY MONTH BEFORE? I have been saying since the beginning that all I wanted was my local channels and a few cartoon channels for my kids and maybe a Hallmark Channel. Give me 10 to 12 channels of what I watch and forget the rest. Why couldn't they have helped to begin with months ago.

Then...why after I decided to cancel instead of risking my bill to continue to fluctuate any more, they tell me I will owe them $360.00 in early cancellation fees on top of my monthly bill PLUS I have to send back the equipment out of my own pocket instead of someone picking it all up. I tried to tell them that they didn't keep their end of the bargain either but they wouldn't hear it. They were quite rude! To the point that I had ended up raising my own voice at them. I think her headset needed to be charged because she was constantly cutting out on me. The worst customer service all the way around. On the phone for over an hour and a half trying to cancel and took so long to get a supervisor on the phone. Then, when I finally got one, they were absolutely no help and rude as well. I will never recommend DirecTV to anyone. I hope this review helps someone before they make the same mistake I did.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I moved into a new house and they told me it will be installed in 2 days, 2 days turned into 2 weeks and even then my services didn't work. So I called for troubleshooting and we got disconnected. After that the next day my services was cancelled. So called back. Had to pay 125 to restore my services and had to wait 4 hours to restore which after 2 days is STILL NOT RESTORED SO AGAIN I'M ON THE PHONE AGAIN. And my services still are not working and no credit is awarded to me and they also tried to put HBO and more on my bill and I'm having to call for that as well. They suck and after it's all done I'll never recommend this to NO ONE! IT'S TRASH.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

They suck!!! I have spent over 4 hours in 24 hours on the phone with them and all I get is someone from another country who I can't understand. They can't seem to fix anything and all they say is that they are going to escalate it. They won't even schedule a technician to come out!!!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

DirecTV has horrible customer service!!! The worst I have ever experienced. We had an appointment for an installation between 12-4. Regardless of our time or commitments, no one showed up and no one called. When we spoke to someone with customer service they could not understand what the problem was... Are you serious?! Then the customer service representative shared with me I need to update my password and security question... Again... Are you serious?! Then she told me the technician was having technical difficulties. I asked, why did no one call or contact us, tech or company. Her response... silence and that someone would contact me hopefully within an hour but no one was coming out to install anything today.

No apology for the inconvenience, unprofessional and inconsiderate lack of communication; no solutions, no nothing! But you continue to raise prices for every little fee possible. I am very disappointed in how you conduct business and treat your customer as if we are insufficient. Now we will begin the process towards selecting another service provider. 15+ years with a company means nothing. What a sham and a shame.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

Save yourself a gigantic headache!! Do not order DirecTV! I waited an entire day for installation only to have it cancelled. I set up a second appointment and guess what? Same thing. I decided to cancel after waiting 10 hours for installation. It took almost one whole hour to get someone to cancel. Save yourself the aggravation. Don't bother.

DIRECTV expert review by ConsumerAffairs

With more than 39 million customers, DIRECTV is one of the largest providers of paid TV services. The company is headquartered in El Segundo, California, and it provides programming to customers through satellite transmissions.

• Exceptional customer service: The company is rated #1 in customer service compared to other cable and satellite TV providers, according to the American Customer Satisfaction Index.

• Never miss a game: The NFL Sunday Ticket ensures all subscribers can watch out-of-market games.

• Expansive HD catalog: DIRECTV has 195 HD channels, including AMC HD, ABC Family HD, Hallmark Channel HD, among many, many others.

• Record from any television: DIRECTV service comes with an HD Genie that records shows from up to eight televisions throughout a home or office.

• Watch from anywhere: Customers can enjoy family favorites and recorded shows using a mobile device with an Internet connection.

• Best for: Television fans who watch a range of programs and customers with special interests.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs