1.59/5
Based on 1,695 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

DIRECTV

For years, DIRECTV has been committed to providing the greatest digital television experience to over 37 million customers in both the U.S and Latin America. Every aspect of our company is centered on bringing each customer state-of-the-art service.

We understand that it is important to our customers that they work with a company that respects and understands their wants and needs, which is why DIRECTV’s employees are trained and ready to assist and answer any of your digital television needs. For the #1 satellite TV service in the country, choose DIRECTV.

View More View More

15910 DIRECTV Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I scheduled an appointment to have my DVR and Genie upgraded. On the first appointment day DirecTV call and said I had to reschedule which I did. On the second appointment day the same thing happen. On the third appointment day the technician was suppose to come between noon and 4 pm. DirecTV called on appointment day again and stated the technician would arrive between 6:10 to 6:45 pm. I cancelled due to not being home during those hours. I have now stayed home for three individuals waiting for DirecTV. My contract expires in October. Guess what I’m going to do?

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I have asked for a recovery kit five different times to return my DirecTV equipment. I just want to return my DirecTV equipment. Many promises, no follow through. Left hand not knowing what the Right hand is doing. Unimpressed with terrible customer service. I wish I did not have to go through their terrible and repetitive customer support prompts. Good thing I am cancelling my services with them. It has always been a hassle to start service and end service. Everything in the middle is good, but the cancellation process is miserable.

Get expert buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

The worst company I've ever had to deal with. Was a happy customer for years until the AT&T merger/buyout. Very bad customer service!! When you have a problem they never fix the problem. When you call in be prepared to sit on the phone for at least 2 hours... non stop holding and getting nothing accomplished. We went to the UPS store and returned all of our equipment with a tracking # two months ago. They're telling us we owe them for the equipment because they have not received it. Our tracking # shows they did receive it.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

Shady business practices! I’ve been a customer since 2013, the same dvr problem has been happening as everyone else where it deleted all my recorded shows. I’ve called several times over the last month and the so called customer service keeps telling me there is a glitch in the system and it will be hopefully fixed soon. Meanwhile I’m still paying the $25 fee for dvr service. That is stealing knowing your product doesn’t work. I called to cancel my account and they offered me a year of free service, that alone shows you that AT&T is in the wrong. I declined, but they refused to take off the $25 charge for a service that I never got. They would be willing to take off a year of fees but they are worried about a measly $25. This was all principal. Shady company! Beware.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

On July 20th sometime in the early hours the old DirecTV accounts were changed over to AT&T. When I went to bed it was working. I got up the next morning there was no programming other than a screen with a 726 code. I was directed to call DirecTV, which I did and was forwarded through 3 different clerks finally ending up with someone in India I believe that could barely speak English. I was informed that this was a computer glitch that would be corrected later in the day. I went away for 8 hours and when I came back home still the same screen. I called again and went through being forwarded three different times and was insulted by that clerk that if I had paid my bill I wouldn't be having any problems. That morning before I turned the set on I had paid the bill that wasn't due until August 3rd. So much for the reason of not paying.

To keep this story short, for the next 10 days I called and was promised that it would be restored but it never was. In fact one of the agents said to me "As God is my witness, your programming will be back by tonight" another false promise! Finally on the 10th day of no programming I got an agent that said that they COULD NOT restore my old account because it was cancelled. The new plan was to start me over and give me a new account with a lowered price, a $100.00 Visa Gift Card, the catch I would have to sign a new agreement (contract) for a two year period.

I had already completed my original 2 year agreement and was not willing to sign another. Personally I believe the cancellation glitch was a plan to force customers to sign a new agreement. Take some advice from a ripped off customer and pay no attention to their ad campaign for you to cut the cable cord. With "Rain Fade" every time it rains your programming will be washed out. Yes cable is expensive but in the long run you will be happier.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DIRECTV?

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

Dishonest, Fraudulent, will make up scenarios to try to make customer sign additional 2 year contracts. Do not sign up for new service. You will be sorry. Also staffing personnel are contractors who are not compensated by DirecTV/ AT&T. If you are watching TV and a passing thunderstorm rolls by you will lose satellite signal and you will not be able to see your program you are watching on TV. Adding additional equipment will cost you renewing to a new 2 year contract. Be careful. If you sign you will be sorry.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

We have been customers for almost 10 years and we finally got tired of them raising their prices every year. Now that we discontinued our service it has been impossible to give them back their equipment! I have called 3 times to have them send me shipping labels as I have a $244 bill for equipment! The third time I called for shipping labels they transferred me 4 times back and forth between technical support then equipment returns until I finally hung up. Why should it be this hard to return their equipment?! Now I have to drive an hour away to a UPS store on my day off to send them back their equipment. Very frustrating after I had been such a loyal customer for so long.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

Have had service with Directv for several years with no problem. The last week cannot watch any program without signal loss. Error code 771. No weather conditions to cause problem. They want us to pay to fix a problem that is not our responsibility. Absolutely awful company with no ethics and no sense of responsibility. Switching services and would never recommend them. I'm in service industry and husband is in healthcare. We will definitely denounce their services to everyone we have the opportunity. This is a failing business that cannot afford to continue to practice this way. I fully believe that I should be reimbursed for the week of loss of service as well as the cost for installation for a service that is reputable. DirecTv has not fulfilled their promise in providing the service they promised.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I've been a DirecTV customer for over 10 years. They have always been a good company. Since the ATT purchase their customer service has steadily gone downhill. Now they've moved their tech support to the Philippines. I upgraded to the Genie 2 and haven't been able to upload on demand products since installed. Their techs have been to my house twice trying to help. When they call tech support they get someone in the Philippines that doesn't know anything let alone speak good English. I've called now 4 times and got no help. The kid in the Philippines just keeps asking the same question and typing the question in his computer. Then he reads the answer and types in my answer. Might as well ask online questions.

I still don't have a system that works and I've been on the phone now over the last two weeks for over 4 hours. I'm canceling my account and going back to cable. It's pretty sad when a good company goes to the dogs to save a few bucks on local tech support. Typical Wall Street buyout bull. And when you call to ask for a supervisor you just get hung up on or wait on hold for an hour and give up. Good practice on their part. Figure they will just wait until I die before they have to answer any real questions.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

First get ready for being on hold for several hours which then turned into days. Never fixed the issue and kept saying they would escalate my call but never did. Bad company to do business with. They don't care about their customers Period!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

Stopped at a DirecTV/AT&T booth at the CA State Fair recently. I am currently a DirecTV customer. My husband is a OIF combat injured veteran. I currently pay $67.15 for DirecTV and $45 a month for internet OUT THE DOOR AFTER TAXES. They told us at that booth we could bundle both services for $85. When we pay $112.15 every month for DirecTV and our internet, this is a $27 savings for us. We signed up for this bundle. However, 4 days after Viasat/Exede internet was installed, we found out the internet alone is $85. We asked for a cancellation from Viasat for the internet. They canceled and charged us $365 cancellation fee and even though we only had their service for 4 days, they charged us $85 for the whole month for internet service.

We were misled by the DirecTV/AT&T booth employees. This cost us $450 because we cancelled the internet and are considering canceling DirecTV also and going with someone else because it was DirecTV that got us into this expensive scam. Why on earth would we pay $85 a month for internet when we have had the same service provider for 10 YEARS and it costs only $45 a month? DirecTV you scammed us and Viasat you raked us over the coals in fees. You both should be ashamed. But hey, thank you for the free installation because my husband is a veteran, but now we also have a hole in our wall and a $450 fee.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

We have been customers of DirecTV for over 10 years. Recently we moved to another state. I have spent over 5 hours (and 5 calls) trying to return our equipment to avoid being charged for not returning. Every agent promised to send call tags to our new address since we live in a rural address. I believe I finally found out that they were sending the call tags to our old address. Finally we made a trip to a UPS store and returned equipment. I would like to communicate to ATT/DirecTV that they should train their personnel better. Because I've hear every story in the book and they still don't have the equipment we returned July 21, 2018. I don't like my credit score being affected because of a company who cannot do their job.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

January 2018 talked into a bundle plan DirecTV and Internet. Specified to agent not to link to my wireless account which I had for many years due to business reasons. 1st bill reflected internet bundled with wireless. No details or call log - just totals including an international call that did not reflect # or date called, and the amounts billed for each service did not match the bundled promo rates... It was $30 extra for the internet because they unbundled the account. Cust Svc advised that was the new billing format; if I wanted to see a detailed bill then they would have to request a hardcopy bill which would take 10 days to be mailed. When I addressed the issue with bundling of the account I was told "is easier for AT&T to bundle and bill the internet with wireless". I was bounced between customer retention, AT&T customer service and DirecTV. Took 1 1/2 hour to be told it was fixed and next month bill would be accurate.

Since then every month the same issue and resolution... no resolution, each time spending over an hour. They closed my wireless account that I had for 10 years and opened new account; created 2 unbundled accounts for the and DirecTV and did not apply the discounted rate. I cannot stress enough how disappointed and stressed I have been dealing with DirecTV. They spend all their time blaming AT&T even when the AT&T supervisor noted the account for reference and calls them to get resolution. I do not recommend doing business with DirecTV and definitely not bundling services. I have closed both internet and DirecTV accounts and still at the end they did not apply my final payment made over the phone and was dismissive even when AT&T clarified that there was zero balance owed.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

Contract ends in September and so does my subscription. The same problem with disappearing recordings, hate the new UI, still can’t get used to new remotes, losing signal during rain storms now (never mind snow), price increase, useless commercial laden On-demand, poor internet reliability (and I have Xfinity Gigabit service that is never down), I could go on and on! Ever since the AT&T buyout they have gone downhill and fast...

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

My cost was set at install at a "fixed" amount, with autopay in July. August statement mailed to my home with a higher than agreed to amount. I called Customer Service and was told it was because I had not opted onto paperless billing. This was never discussed at the onset, and I certainly never opted out of paperless billing - you have me set up on autopay, what do I need a paper bill for anyway? Though, now I'm leery considering how they can just increase my "fixed" monthly agreed upon amount.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

A door to door sales person came to my door offering DirecTV. Phone and internet for a great price. I signed up. Appointment was set up. They left a message a couple of times rescheduling the appt then a tech shows up for the first scheduled appt that THEY canceled. Install occurred. Salesperson assured us that Directv barely goes out when it rains. Well low and behold you get a couple of sprinkles it goes out. Received the first bill and it was about one hundred dollars more than I was told. I paid it thinking it was maybe a prorated bill.

The next bill comes and it was even higher than the first bill. I call Directv and was told a price for my monthly bill that was much higher than what the door to door salesman told me it was going to be. I was on the phone with them for over 2 hours demanding that they honor the price for which I was told and promised! Well guess what, they didn't and wouldn't honor the price. I told them that I was cancelling their service. They tell me that they were charging me a cancellation fee for Directv and internet for breaking my contract. I said breaking the contract? I said you didn't honor yours. Never again will I use their services.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

Was having reception problems similar to that experienced in a thunderstorm but the skies were clear. Called DirecTV and was told that my satellite dish and receivers were out of date - 24 plus years old - and they would install an updated dish and receivers AT NO CHARGE to me. I said go ahead and a date was set for replacement. I questioned the installer and he said they were replacing many systems AT NO CHARGE also. THEN GUESS WHAT - I got my next bill and I was charged a monthly fee for VCR service which I DID NOT ORDER. The new receivers apparently can also record certain programs. After waiting for 15 minutes to speak to a rep I finally got someone apparently from India that could barely speak English.

Bottom line is if a credit is not shown on my next statement DirecTV will find their equipment removed from my property within 24 hours and a new provider will be sought. To state that there is no charge and then bill for a service not ordered because the new receivers are capable of recording amounts to FRAUDULENT ENTICEMENT, a criminal offense. I caution everyone dealing with DirecTV to carefully check their monthly statement as if they did this to me then others will also experience the same misconduct.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

After roofer came to check a leak on my roof he informed me that I had more than one satellite on my roof. DirecTV had moved the satellite and repositioned it and left the previous pole (stand) just sitting on my roof. So basically I was told that all of this equipment is mine and I am supposed to have it removed. Living in a condo residential area you cannot have all of this JUNK on your roof. I thought that when they repositioned the satellite that they would remove any unused equipment that they installed, but this is not the case.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

8 times in the past 3 weeks we’ve taken off work because they said they would be here between 12-4. Every time no call no show. I don’t see how a business stays open this way. They’ve been bad every time we’ve used them but this has been the worse.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I just wasted over an hour and a half talking with a sales rep for DirecTV. She was trained to be extremely deceptive - asking for my SSN to verify which pricing I would qualify for - package was for TV and Internet. After reluctantly giving her the ability to "hit" my credit, then she wanted my credit card information so that they could charge a minimal charge (tax) & possibly the last bill. Then she said that they would be charging my credit card each month for my bill. When I said "no" to that, then she told me that they would be charging me more $ because I wouldn't agree to that type of auto-billing. Then, after all that time, she told me that they do everything twice - once for DirecTV and again for AT&T. Another credit check - ridiculous. I said "absolutely not" - and I cancelled everything. One of the most frustrating encounters I've ever had. Don't use them... Run far away as fast as you can!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Several weeks ago we contacted DirecTV to "switch" to DirecTV and become a new customer. I was told we would be contacted for installation - after a week, I cancelled as they could not tell us when they could install. My husband phoned back and shared the problems and re-contracted again with the promise by DirecTV we would not have issues and would have the service connected and working in a short time. We were told Friday, August 3rd between noon and four they would arrive. After waiting all day - NOBODY arrived and after contacting DirecTV we were told their scheduling is down and they would reach back out to us to reschedule yet again (3rd time).

It is now August 8th - about 3-4 weeks into the process and approximately six hours on the phone with customer service being connected and redirected numerous time to only hear - "We are sorry for your inconvenience. Thank you for choosing AT&T." My husband and I are speechless. We've decided at this point to not even cancel again but just to leave it all, sit and continue with SPECTRUM. Possibly when DirecTV loses enough customers, they may realize it and call us back needing our business but for now, apparently new customers and quality service is not in their horizon.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

DirecTV charges a fortune and literally is the worst company I have ever dealt with. You can be on with customer service for hours and they couldn't care less about your problem and do nothing to attempt to resolve it. To get a technician takes a WEEK or LONGER. You are paying a FORTUNE, your TV doesn't work, and they can't get someone out for a week? And then they don't show up, cancel, and no one cares. If you have any option at all, DO NOT use DirecTV. It's only when people start not using these money grabbing conglomerates that any change will happen.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I was totally DISMAYED to receive a pre-paid debit card in the name of my DEAD sister as a refund from DirecTV! Not only was it inappropriate as SHE CAN NO LONGER USE A CREDIT CARD!!! It was traumatic for me, as the personal representative of her estate to receive and have to call DirecTV and figure out how to address in compliance with the probate laws of Washington State and explain that she was DEAD and could not USE a pre-paid debit card. While the rep I spoke to understood, she just explained that was the only mechanism they had to repay a credit... REALLY DIRECTV??? Traumatizing relatives of deceased customer is TOTALLY not acceptable!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

We have had Directv before and have loved what they offered and how they did things, but as we moved we needed to set up a new Directv plan. Just to get the people out here to hook everything up is a total mess! We were told that they would be here in the morning, so I took off work which I wasn’t so thrilled about it to begin with, and also missing my daughter's very important medical meeting. Just to find out that they would be here in 30 minutes, they said this 3 times, at 11:30, 1, and 2:30. Now they are closed telling us “we have missed our window” when the technician never showed up and now making us set up a new appointment that I will have to take work off for to maybe hope that they will get us in this time. Extremely unsatisfied and Directv doesn’t seem to care about it.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I have been extremely disappointed by the service, product and follow-up of AT&T since switching to DirecTV from Spectrum. I was promised that the issue of cable going out during storms would not be a problem since AT&T took over, which was a lie. The TV goes out every single time it storms. It is impossible to get someone on the phone that speaks English and I have asked several times to have a manager contact me and no one has. The guy that sold me the product flat out lied to me when responding to my questions. I would definitely switch if I wasn't locked into a contract right now. I will be leaving as soon as my two years is up.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

When you see this company RUN!!! They will tell you one thing and do the complete opposite! Their associates don’t know what they are talking about 9 times out of 10. They overcharge you, for bad satellite service. Every time it rains it goes out. When speaking with a rep, and you ask to speak with a manager they ignore you and start talking about something else.

I had to ask for a manager 6 times before she transferred me then when you get transferred It takes 45 minutes to get a manager on the phone to inform them of their associates. Then they are nonchalant, and rude as well. One girl told me that she informed the manager of my request, and that she was unable to transfer me directly to the manager because she was having technical difficulties, and promised immediately after we disconnect that a manager would contact me, and GUESS WHAT? I’m STILL waiting for the manager to give me a call one month later.

When I finally speak with a manager about the false information provided by their representatives, she stated the bill is still valid. Then when I say, "y’all always say at beginning of call that it is being recorded" and I say, "go back and listen to all recorded calls from me so you can hear what I have been told." She ignored that. Then when I say, "I would like to cancel my services," they tell me I can’t cancel, and don’t want to cancel it. I will not waste another penny with this company for the service that is provided. This company is ridiculous, all of this could have been avoided!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I am very unhappy with DirecTV. During rainstorms we lose the signal and cannot watch the weather or severe weather report on the tv. This is a frequent occurrence that happened a couple days ago and the signal/tv was out for approximately 45 minutes. My Mom is 88 yrs old and we consider this to be a safety issue. There are many severe weather reports in this area during the year and we should be able to view those tv broadcast. I spoke to a number of AT&T representatives and they want to charge me a approximately $100 to come service their equipment that is not working properly. I am paying for a service that I am not getting and they want to charge me for it. This is unexceptionable to me.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Horrible. They updated their programming and my recording queue is messed up. Does not act right as they should. My Recording this actually disappear when I go to play them and since they “updated” my DVR, it has not worked right since. A technician came out to fix the problem and it worked properly for one day only. I am stuck with this crappy service. My two year contract is up next spring and I will never ever go back to DirecTV. I don’t know how they stay in business. Phone calls don’t work. I intend to go back to U-verse and if they get too high I will go back to infinity or whatever for a decent price again. I am through with DirecTV.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

After four years of being with AT&T, I moved. AT&T offered a moving deal if I switched to DIRECTV and bundled. Since the very first bill each month has increasingly double if not tripled. I have called no less than 50 times within nine months to complain and request the on authorized charges to be fixed. I have called no less than 50 times within nine months to complain and request the on authorized charges to be removed, refunded, and returned to the original terms of our agreement. Each time I called I was given one representative after another after another after another, until I would either hang up or get no relief or resolve to the over $600 invoice I receive each month. AT&T and DIRECTV advertised my bundle deal to be around $78 for home phone, internet and cable. I was told I could place my account on vacation mode without being penalized after expressing to the company I plan to start arbitration.

My service was then terminated and I was charged not only current charges but a month ahead. They simply deducted this amount along with early termination fees directly from my checking account. The wireless terms were also changed. The so-called free phone is still being charged to my bill. I have a well-documented my experience with the above-mentioned companies. I am now being sent to collections for AT&T U-verse and which I have not had since prior to my move.

Enough is enough, it is obvious after reading through the terms and conditions this company has all intentions on stealing from the consumers and worded each paragraph like a true con artist. Hey government, when is someone going to help the small businesses and consumers like myself? I need a lawyer or someone to help me through arbitration. I am owed thousands of dollars, basically my savings account that they have drained… After 150 million complaints when is this going to be taken seriously?

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Every few months they find a reason to raise my bill. When I call about it most the time I can’t find the person on the phone and there is nothing they can do to get my bill back to the price it was without me giving up something. Paying over 1000 dollars for TV a year is ludicrous.

Not sure about DIRECTV?
Take our two minute quiz to find the right Satellite and Cable TV Providers for you.

DIRECTV expert review by ConsumerAffairs

With more than 39 million customers, DIRECTV is one of the largest providers of paid TV services. The company is headquartered in El Segundo, California, and it provides programming to customers through satellite transmissions.

• Exceptional customer service: The company is rated #1 in customer service compared to other cable and satellite TV providers, according to the American Customer Satisfaction Index.

• Never miss a game: The NFL Sunday Ticket ensures all subscribers can watch out-of-market games.

• Expansive HD catalog: DIRECTV has 195 HD channels, including AMC HD, ABC Family HD, Hallmark Channel HD, among many, many others.

• Record from any television: DIRECTV service comes with an HD Genie that records shows from up to eight televisions throughout a home or office.

• Watch from anywhere: Customers can enjoy family favorites and recorded shows using a mobile device with an Internet connection.

• Best for: Television fans who watch a range of programs and customers with special interests.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

El Segundo
800-365-1717
www.directvbundles.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business