1.38/5
Based on 1,478 ratings submitted in the last year

DIRECTV

For years, DIRECTV has been committed to providing the greatest digital television experience to over 37 million customers in both the U.S and Latin America. Every aspect of our company is centered on bringing each customer state-of-the-art service.

We understand that it is important to our customers that they work with a company that respects and understands their wants and needs, which is why DIRECTV’s employees are trained and ready to assist and answer any of your digital television needs. For the #1 satellite TV service in the country, choose DIRECTV.

View More View More

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

16544 DIRECTV Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Apparently DirecTV is in the process of changing all users account numbers. Oh my they never told anyone. Oh my they are still accepting payments on the old account numbers and they do not count for your new account. My Lawyer thinks I have a good legal case against these AT&T clones.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I called AT&T to set up internet and cable. DirecTV was my cable portion of the bundle. Lots of billing problems for first 3-4 months. I signed up for a 2 yr contract deal. I had faithfully paid my bill on time every month for 16 months. I was still under contract for the next 8 months. However, I was told by my landlord around Dec 31st, 2018 that we need to move out ASAP as the land was no longer his. I had to move out by Jan 31, 2019. I called AT&T to cancel services as I was basically in a homeless status. I ended up moving into a friend's home and sleep on the couch for now.

DirecTV was not at all trying to work with me on cancellation fees. They sent me a bill for $137. AT&T waived the cancellation fees on their end and assured me everything would be ok. I called DirecTV and got some runaround BS but still have to pay the cancellation fees as if they would have to shut their doors on the business if they didn't get this $137 from me. My moving situation was out of my control and I had nowhere else to set up services. My buddy has his own cable/internet already set up. Instead of waiving the fees they are adamant that I need to pay the damn cancellation fees. This is so sad. I will never use DirecTV ever ever again. BTW, it's not like I even got 1 month of service without any hassles or hiccups. It rains, no tv. It snows, no TV. It's sunny outside, no TV. I didn't call and complain but guess I should have because according to the customer service lady on the phone, they would have waived the damn fees!

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

DirecTV is the absolute worst TV provider I've ever dealt with. They were terrible to begin with and after they were acquired by AT&T, they are absolutely horrendous to deal with. I was their customer for couple of years and was receiving services on two TVs. After cancellation, they're asking me to return three receivers. After calling them multiple times to tell them that I only had two receivers because I don't even have three TVs in the house, the issue is still unresolved and they've sent my account for collection. This is absolutely the worst experience I ever had with any TV provider. NEVER EVER GET DIRECTV.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

When the technician (3rd party) tried to solve the problem by having us purchase a $95 part we suddenly came to a halt because we could not remember our password. The technician gave his badge number to DirecTV and explained the situation. Paying for the part was not a problem. We answered every question but still not good enough. This back and forth lasted 20 minutes including talking to a DirecTV supervisor. The technician could not get our TV running. He was upset and probably not paid for the call. We the customer are very upset! We do not need a password to make our monthly payment and we certainly will not need a password to cancel DirecTV. Also the TV service lately is poor. I believe they have technical issues with their satellites but still will not give a little slack to a paying customer in a situation. SAD.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I was a customer since 2005. I canceled in 2018 due to the high price. I returned my equipment within 2 days of cancellation by bringing my equipment to the FedEx store. They are still trying to charge me for the returned equipment and have sent my account to collections even though I have provided them with the FedEx receipt numerous times. They also claim I owe for service for my final month, even though I have provided a copy of the final bill and proof of payment. The collection company reported to the credit companies and I have disputed based on the above information. I have also invited the collection company to sue me in small claims court if they are so sure of their position. All this over $246.00. I would never do business with DTV or ATT again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DIRECTV?

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

We have had DirecTV for about 15 years. Started with them while we lived in Pennsylvania and then had DirecTV installed in our home in Austin, TX. We are buying a 2nd home in Oregon and called DirecTV to make arrangements to have it installed. A few days later our house deal fell through, due to developer issues. We then went ahead with a different property within a few miles of the original choice. I called DirecTV to make the address change and that's when my frustrations began. I literally spent 2 hours on the phone with them. Passed from one rep to another. No one seemed able to make the simple address change.

I was promised by three different people that I would receive a call back and no one called. This went on for a couple of days. Back and forth. So we decided to go with DISH. Now you would think it would be simple to cancel the open order with DirecTV (as it was never installed)...but NO. I again had to go through several different reps. I have a cancellation # from them...but the email they promised to follow up never came. So it is anybody's guess... is this order cancelled or not. I am so frustrated that I feel like cancelling the DirecTV in our main home and have Dish installed.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

Cancelled service and returned receivers then a month later a whole bill was deducted from my account. Money I didn’t have. If we pay in advance they should owe me money because we cancelled 6 days after payment. Now they say in 10 days they will prorate money back. Too late. Damage already done to my bank. I will never do business with AT&T again or any affiliates.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

These guys have the most disastrous customer service ever. My friend had an account, canceled and wanted to give the receiver back. After calling a lot of times to ask for the box to send it back, he needed to leave the country. So he left my address and the receiver with me. It has been a year since he left, and today I finally decided to solve the problem. I called the customer service that is an automatic message repeating that needed the phone or the account number. I didn't have any. Finally, I could talk to a person and the guy could find the account by the receiver's ID. He told me them to leave in some UPS or First Express office and they would send to them. I have one of them, a half block of my house.

The guy, of course, said he kept having people sent by DirecTV but he doesn't have the routing number or their account to send to them. So, we called together. More than 40 minutes later, the guy said, he couldn't give the routing number to the UPS agent, he couldn't send a label to my email and the only thing he could do was to send to my house the return package. He also couldn't send to my email a short version of what we have talked about. In a short way: I talked to two people that cannot guarantee that the information they gave to me is right. I am going to wait for the three days he said would take to receive the label, box. Now I understand why my friend just asked me to dump in the trash the receiver. Why not send a label by email? So much easier! I had information enough to never contract this company.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

Service was interrupted so many times we could not watch the game. We have been long time customers for many years and they no longer care to keep your business. They just keep rating the rates. I am cancelling this service! I think Netflix and Hulu is the way to go now and they should really try harder to keep customers as soon they will not have any left.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

We have been a customer since 1997. Last year we were offered a $40 a month discount if we committed to stay with DirecTV for a year. The final discount was in January 2019. I called in January and they agreed to continue the discount for another year...but I needed to call in February to activate it. I called and was on the phone for an hour and 15 minutes! The first rep said, "Sorry but the best we can do is $5 per month." The second rep really tried and felt terrible since we were promised the extended discount. She explained that they transferred our account to a new system last weekend and AT&T changed all the policies. They could no longer choose what was promised to me as an option in the system. She even went to a supervisor and agreed to call us back.

The best they could do was $25 a month for 12 months. I know that it is only $15 a month difference, but it is the principle. They are willing to lose a $160 a month customer for $15 a month! They will spend more than that in postage sending everything back! Needless to say, I am switching to a new provider at the end of the month since they no longer prorate the costs - another AT&T policy change. It’s disappointing to see that they treat their new customers to all the discounts and don’t care AT ALL about their loyal customers!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

I had been a customer of DirecTV for the past 11 years. My rate was just under $60.00 as I had no premium channels whatsoever. Yesterday I went to bill online as I always do, and saw that my bill changed to $148.63. I spoke to a representative and was told that the new rate was not a mistake. She told me that I was on a promotional rate for 12 months. I swear that nobody ever told me that. I had asked last year for the best rate they could offer me with minimum channels and the just under $60.00 amount was told to me without any mention of a promotion. Anyways, the reps (I wound up speaking to 2 of them) were very short and curt with me assuring that I understood that in order to be their customer I had to pay the new rate.

Well, like others here, I informed them that I wanted to cancel my service with them. I was told that I would have to wait until the end of the billing cycle. I told them that all they had to do was disconnect my service. If I had ordered a premium channel, they connect it immediately without having to wait until the end of the billing cycle. I was instructed to take my equipment to the nearest FedEx or UPS store where they will scan the receivers and send them back to them. The heck with the end of the billing cycle, I will do this first thing in the morning on Monday. Good riddance to them!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

Longtime subscriber since 2006. I noticed my DirecTV service suddenly went up over 60% so I called DirecTV /AT&T to see what I could do to fix this and stay - even though I am not happy with the relatively new AT&T guide, navigation and functionality. The representative kept trying to sell me AT&T cell phone packages - which I don’t want or need and given the runaround, asked if I wanted to drop channels to lower my bill. I finally said - "If you can reduce my bio back to where it was please cancel."

The representative put me hold and sent me to “retention”. The retention person said that my price was no longer possible and I’d have to pay the new rate if I wanted to stay. I said please cancel my service. First she tried to sell me AT&T cell service but I cut her off and firmly stated, "PLEASE CANCEL MY SERVICE," and the rep agreed and said I would receive an email and letter with instructions on returning the equipment and a return kit with boxes. About 4 days later I chatted with the online rep and found that no return letter, email or return boxes were ordered in the system and it was unclear to them that I cancelled. I reiterated that I cancelled and asked for the return kit. The rep said it would be there in 3 business days.

4 business days later and nothing. So I chatted again and the rep says the return kit is coming and finally sends me the cancellation email. Now I start getting tersely worded daily reminders to return my equipment or be charged. The box finally shows is a couple days later. I pack the stuff up and drop off at the post office the next day and receive a confirmation that my box was delivered to the shipping agent but I keep getting the tersely worded emails telling me I need to return my equipment.

I chat 3 more times with customer service but I keep getting the daily emails, now telling me I am late. They send me another return kit for some reason and finally after 3 weeks I get an email confirming that they received my equipment. I highly recommend using the online chat feature to have a paper trail. Fingers crossed that I don’t get charged. Glad to be done with AT&T- they ruined DirecTV.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

We moved from another state. Spoke to Directv regarding the move. After the move our bill was jacked up triple with two different accounts. Tirelessly I was on the phone trying to get it fixed. They admitted wrong and said it would be fixed. After 3 months of dealing with them to no avail I contacted the BBB. Then they were all willing to get it fixed. I wanted out of a relationship with no penalty because it was their fault I was leaving. They agreed. I sent all the equipment back, the bill was paid and all was quiet for months. Then I get a call from collection for a $217 early cancellation fee! I contacted the BBB. The Directv president's secretary called, said in a voice intimidating and bullying that they had decided after the fact to not honor not charging me the cancellation fee! Goes back to the beginning when every call said something different. They promised they would get it fixed to no avail.

The service was ok unless it was windy or rained but the people contact was so unprofessional and basically they would say anything to get off the phone to pass me on to another person because they couldn't figure out the account mess up. I spent hours on hours trying to negotiate before contacting BBB. There are good companies out there. This is not one of them. Do your homework.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I found DirecTV very good. Using since very long time maybe more than 8 months I guess. HD channels have really good details in picture. And prices are also very affordable and very low as compare to others. Installation done well. Quick service.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

The absolute worse business experience in my life! The worst professionalism I have ever had. Customer service is beyond poor! Bill jumped outrageously and when I suspended my account to love they said, "Not a problem." When I tried to reactivate they wanted 199.00 for that! They lied and treated me like I didn’t matter! So here’s to you DirecTV. You just lost another customer to go with your fourth quarter losses of last year! Bunch of jerks!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

As others have stated I too have had many problems after switching from Verizon/Dish to AT&T/DirecTV. Bill much higher than promised, can’t have equipment on account in 2 locations. Must carry equipment back and forth. Latest is that the DirecTV mobile app no longer supports displaying to TV’s from iPhone or iPad. No pre-warning and absolutely nothing on their websites that this no longer works. Now get error “HDMI not supported”. AT&T forum is no help. Very rude people monitoring site. Called tech support and confirmed this does not work on purpose.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I’m well aware how contracts work. After 9 years without cable my husband and I finally decided to splurge. Being with AT&T for wireless already I had contacted them for a different issue and was talked into a package. It sounded fine and I accepted the terms. My husband is a football fan. I figured since the NFL ticket was “free” the first year I’d go ahead with that plan. Of course it is our fault that we forgot and did not cancel it prior to the start of the 2018 season. That said it is very unnerving that they have the right to tack on $300 without direct consent or verification that service is indeed still desired.

I definitely wouldn’t recommend this provider to anybody. It’s unfortunate to have to figure out what we will do for an alternative when our contract is over. After reading many of these reviews I’m not looking forward to the debacle to come when I try to cancel. It’s true also that the representatives are very difficult to understand, not helpful & pretty rude. The policies of DirecTV definitely need reviewing and perhaps the people that have been seriously duped/scammed will be compensated for the hassles and disregard from this company.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I was talked into getting ATT DirecTV by a ATT representative. From the moment they installed it the bedroom remote didn't work. I finally got someone out there and he reprogrammed the remote tossed it on the bed and said it works! That night when I lay in bed and wanted to use the remote, yeap it didn't work, after several weeks of calling, again, someone sent me a remote. Well that remote is still in the package, because there are no instructions of how to program it.

I have the lowest level of channels. (75% is selling channels). BAM! my bill went from 47.00 a month (and that level is not worth 47.00 a month) to $80.77 and that does not include the taxes and fees. I called three different people today and all three told me "THERE ARE NO PROMOTIONS" you will have to pay the 80.77 a month for the most sorriest level of tv, they went on to say "oh let me remind you that you signed a two year contract and you must finish it or pay $220.00. AT&T are scamming people, not to mention how sorry their tv is. WHY CANT SOMEONE STOP THEM!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I recently had to call DirecTV to arrange to turn in equipment and was asked repeatedly why I was leaving even though I explained in length when I canceled. The woman kept saying things like: "But you haven't told me why you're leaving." Very rude when I said, "It's really not your business." Finally, I said, "Can you tell me how to turn this equipment in." Laughter in background from several people noted. She kept insisting so I asked her to give me a manager or someone to help me. She put me on hold for 15 minutes. I looked at my phone so I know. Came back on and said, "Just take it to a UPS store, have a nice day." I truly believe a Scam is in progress. It's been 14 days and they were supposed to email or send instructions on how to return equipment.

I found out you only have 21 days before they charge you. Also paid for a whole month and got 67 dollar credit. My bill is 250??? Also be sure you document dropping off to UPS. They will try and not give you tracking info but take pics or video for proof. I really was going to return to DirecTV when I could, but not now. DirecTV should teach their customer service when to back off.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

Had DirecTV since 2003 in 3 different locations. Always paid online as soon as I received the bill in my inbox. They have some ridiculous policy that you have to call and beg for discounts on your service or else it will triple in cost before you know it. They give you a one year price guarantee that lasts for 2 years. Beware of the 2nd year as it doubles in price. Have to call and be on hold and be passed around for an hour at a time.

Our service was in my husband's name, but he passed away in August 2018. When I called to cancel service because it was due to go up $65 the next month, they wouldn't because he had to call (he's dead). They made me go to the ATT store with his death certificate and funeral paid statement to prove he died. THIS COMPANY IS A DISGRACE. WHILE THE EXECS AT ATT MAKE THEIR MILLIONS, PEOPLE LIKE ME ARE LEAVING FOR SLING TV. GOODBYE YOU IDIOTS!!! BURN IN ** FOR TREATING SITUATIONS LIKE THIS LIKE MORONS.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

Over the past years the frustration only increases as ATT/DirecTV try and increase my rates. January 2019 was the last straw! My bill went up more than 40% without any notice. Old bill - $98.87 and the new bill for the exact same service $138.87. When I called to terminate ATT stated I would need to continue service until the end of the billing cycle. Spoke with a supervisor and they couldn't do anything about the proration either. They say I received an insert in my last bill stating the new termination policy, which I didn't read or see an insert. Buyer beware of the ATT increases in service and their new termination policy. No proration! Bad Business!!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I called to cancel and was never told they did not prorate anymore. I called back a week later asking why I still had service and I was told my cancellation was "pending" and I would NOT be charged for the service. One week later I called yet again due to the fact that I just received another bill, a bill that started on the very day I originally called to cancel. When I asked to speak to a manager, Greg came on the line and told me that they stopped prorating the EXACT day I had called to cancel originally and that I would have to pay for another month. Funny how that works. I will NEVER go back and will openly tell everyone what poor service I received. Unbelievable.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

Every complaint written about DirecTV AT&T is, alarmingly, true. I did not elect to have AT&T as a provider, and when DirecTV began answering their phones, "AT&T!", it coincided with my suddenly elevated and unexplained bills. Over 5 years ago, I discontinued DirecTV AT&T, and have been happy with my new provider for over 5 years now. After ending my association with DirecTV AT&T over 5 years ago, I began receiving 'Collection for Service' statements from DirecTV AT&T. I aggressively addressed this and eventually the Collection attempts ended (but not until after showing as negative on my credit reports).

Now, over 5 years later, I receive a letter from a Collection Agency for this SAME bill for services I did NOT receive, stating that they were "authorized to report negative to CRAs". This is what you do. Immediately send Registered letters to Collection Agency and DirecTV AT&T, copying to your Legal Counsel, Attorney General, and FTC. There are laws to protect us from being strong-armed into paying bills we do not owe (FCRA, Fair Credit Reporting Act), and punitive damages levied against companies, collection agencies, and CRAs that refuse to operate by Federal Law. The more we stand up to these bullies, the more they may second-guess their illegal and damaging actions.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

This truly was a great company. When I got started with them you could purchase a dish and receiver for $48.00. Then you could order whatever you actually wanted to watch. None of this "You must have a package" stuff. My bill was the same for years! Then there was a price increase and the bill was the same every month. FOR YEARS! Then they decided to play the price increase games. And play them they did and continue to do. My bill is now over four times the amount it was when I first signed up. Now they constantly add new charges to my bill and then add "late" charges to that padded amount. I honestly do not know they could get any worse!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I recently sold my home. I called DirecTV to cancel and they transferred me through to numerous departments - including the retention department (where they tried multiple times to talk me into keeping my service - even though I had told them - numerous times - that I was selling my home). After being disconnected & had to call back - spending another 45 minutes on the phone speaking to numerous reps and waiting on hold, I was finally told that my service would be canceled.

I received a call from the new homeowners - a week after selling my home - telling me that they couldn't set up the new DirecTV plan since I "hadn't cancelled" (even though I had already sent back my remotes and cable boxes to DirecTV). So, once again, I had to call and was transferred to numerous departments, waited on hold 20 minutes to be asked if they could do something to retain my service - UNBELIEVABLE. I will NEVER chose a company that doesn't value their customers enough to actually LISTEN to them instead of using a script that obviously doesn't pertain. HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I’ve spoken to 17 “customer service” reps, 15 from outside the US, been entered into their expedited level 5 times and heard absolutely nothing back! Real problem started when we contacted DTV before we moved and took advantage of their “easy move” plan. I asked if there would be a contract change and the rep said no! The rep lied! Rafael did fail to mention the fact that we would be starting a new 2 year contract all over again! I called, explained this to DTV/AT&T and said we wanted to cancel our plan and were told it would cost $800. After 5 calls regarding their moving plan we gave up and decided the best thing we could do was try to inform everyone we could about the ineptness and deception of this company. THEY DON’T CARE!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

After I cancelled the contract, I was still charged $79.28. Come to find out (after FIVE phonecalls) the very first person I spoke to had only changed my status to pending. Ridiculous! They would not issue a refund. So It cost me close to $80.00 to cancel. Stay away!! Worst customer service ever!!! People are rude! I spoke to a "manager." He was rude!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

My 1st day of installation was Sat 1/26, yesterday actually, and they brought the wrong equipment. Tech said I had to call to have new work order opened for someone to come back and replace the wrong receivers which I did. They scheduled a tech to come out today, Sunday. He could not get the TV set up with new equipment, said it was a coding/software problem on AT&T/DirecTV's end, outside of his control, would return in 20 mins. after he made a quick stop to troubleshoot another customer "down the road" and never returned or responded to my phone call after 6 HOURS!!! I called and wanted my service cancelled since I did not receive full installation and was into day 2 of incomplete unsuccessful installation. This tech said he was leaving the company in a month to move to California to be a farmer and that this company "sucked" he said and that certainly didn't leave me very confident.

When he did not return, I realized I was duped, he had nothing to lose, and I was on the phone with the cancellation dept for 2 hours to cancel. They said there was no early cancellation fee (what???), why would there be I asked myself, but they were leveraging the 2 year agreement even though I did not receive successful installation. They said to return the equipment to FedEx or UPS and they have a partnership with them to send the equipment back to them. Again, their error and now I have to go send this back on day 3 of my time I will never get back? I'm a senior, can't tell you how shocked I am by this experience, I feel like I'm in a bad dream and can't wake up. I have a feeling this might be the beginning of a very bad long nightmare; will see if they try to charge or me send me to collections for what? I don't know since I never had service. Wish me luck!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

This is in regards to a call I placed to the customer service center about no local channels. The customer service representative was very helpful, kind and professional. I want him to receive credit for the outstanding service and complete understanding of taken care of my account information. Jon ID#**. Please note that he is a true gentleman and deserves more than 5 stars. He represents what true work ethic. Thank you???

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I set up to move my DirecTV on 31 Jan 19. Last night 25 Jan 19 my DirecTV services went on. I had 0 cable. I can't get it back on cecause I'm moving on 31 Jan. But I'm paying for it. This is stupid. I want cable this week in my house I still live. The entire reason I set up for a move is so I would not lose it at the new house.

DIRECTV Company Information