3.7/5 (1859 ratings)

About DIRECTV

DIRECTV is a direct broadcast satellite provider that transmits to homes throughout the United States and the Caribbean. There are many different packages to choose from, each offering a variety of features, channels and DVR options. It's important to note that DIRECTV requires a two-year contract, and most customers experience an increase in prices after the first year.

Pros

• Various programming options
  • Easy to relocate with
  • Multiple packages available

Cons

• Costly to cancel
  • Price increases after first year

Bottom Line

DIRECTV is a leader in satellite broadcasting. The company’s services are ideal for people who want a lot of options for TV channels, features and packages.

DIRECTV Reviews

Over 10k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DIRECTV?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about DIRECTV?

Original review: July 1, 2021

We canceled our DIRECTV service on 3/29/21. Directv told us we had to pay for our service and they would refund us because we canceled one day prior to the billing date and they could stop the billing. They now owe us $111.98 but stating they only owe us $77.02. They have sent us 3 statements stating they owe us $77.02. I have called upon receipt of each statement asking for the actual money to be sent to us and they keep saying they’re working on it. Now I’ve had to enlist our attorney to contact them. I can’t believe that today with all the free access to TV and movies that anyone would continue to subscribe and pay for TV.

Original review: June 18, 2021

Gave me a price of 78 dollars for cable tv. With taxes. I recorded the conversation. I confirmed with the sales girl and wrote her name and date and time and amount down. Got bill. First bill was 4 dollars over price. Now into DTV for 3 months, bill is 98 dollars. I have 1 TV. That's it. I called and sat on hold for 3 hours. Finally disconnected. Then called again. Spoke with 4 different people. All said the price was 98 dollars. I asked to speak with supervisor. Told I have to wait. They hung up on me. I called again. Asked for supervisor. Told I have to get call back from supervisor. No one called me back. Now stuck in contract for 20 dollars more a month than what was quoted. DO NOT GET THIS PROVIDER. THEY BAIT AND SWITCH!!! They don't care and they do Illegal things!!!

Original review: June 18, 2021

Worse advertisement company I know. They will not stop calling me so I will constantly write many bad reviews. Do not contact them or give them your phone or else they will keep bothering you. A junk company. Avoid them!

Original review: June 15, 2021

We've had DirecTV for I'm guessing 7 or 8 yrs. The service has been satisfactory but I have 2 major complaints. The price. It has gone up a ridiculous amount over the past few years. We are paying almost $250 now a month. It does include basic land line service too but no internet. Just TV and phone service. And it's a phone that seems to receive every spam scam call on earth. The phone doesn't stop ringing all day. Only 2 people call us on that number. Prob 50 scam calls a day. Somebody is selling our number. Complaint number 2 is reception. About 6 months ago DirecTV updated our equipment, at no cost, to HD equipment. Ever since doing that, the receiver locks up for 15 to 20 seconds about every hour or so. Or it will say installing updates for 5mins to 20mins every other day. Then there's the rain thing. If it gets cloudy out and looks like rain it will lose signal. **??

Before they updated the system, everything worked well. They definitely don't have their bugs worked out and must have some financial problems to be charging so much. I changed over to cable today. It wasn't a hard decision. I'm getting the same channels, a land line, and on top of that I'm getting internet with wifi and paying almost half the price. It's a no brainer. I'm only mad at myself for not changing sooner. 3 stars is really pushing it. I hope this at least helps someone else who is deciding what TV service to get.

Original review: May 27, 2021

Bad services, bad customer services. Do not waste your money and time with this company. Avoid dealing with this company and advise your friends not to have DirecTV. I regret that I had a contract with them.

Original review: May 15, 2021

I was told when I signed up to get service I had to put up a deposit cuz I did not have any credit. $299 which I was told I would get back after a 2 yrs contract. They lied. They are keeping my $299. They have no record of me giving them a $299 deposit. I have proof I did. But they still will not give it back. Rip me off straight up. That's a lot of money to me. Why would I give them that much $ just to get service. I would not do that as most people would not. Telling me it's a deposit & I would get it back after 2 yr contract. This is a scam to keep your money. Don't believe them.

Original review: May 5, 2021

Third time in 4 months that I'm told service appointment done and time/day given. I wait the 12 to 4 window and again no one shows. I spend 30min just to see if technician is coming then told there was no service appointment. So given again for another day thus no service and now lost time waiting for service that never came. Tried to connect to a manager in support but not possible so that was another waste of 15min. I switched from Dish for support reasons and now come to find out Direct is no better. Ratings on reviews have dropped 3% for DIRECTV...

Original review: May 5, 2021

When you sign up, the promotional prices expire quickly and the channels you get are low quality programming, unless you pay top of the line pricing, which is still limited. Customer service seems outsourced from the other side of the world with people who are not native English speaking people reading script, hard to understand and so frustrating, making you wish you could just throw the tv at them. If you have another option for tv service other than DirecTV, I’d suggest going with it....

Original review: April 30, 2021

I’ve been trying to get an actual copy of my contract for a long time. They won’t provide one. They’ll only tell you verbally what the contract contains (plan, termination date, etc.), which is #1 contrary to law (any party to a contract is entitled to a record of what they agreed to), and #2 is a deceptive business practice. By not having a “hard copy” of what you agreed to, you’d never know when you could cancel the service. Depending upon who you speak with at customer service, the date won’t be the same. So, if you terminate your service, they can access any number of early termination fees and you’ll have no recourse. How many people nationwide have been a victim of this? I’ve filed formal complaints with my state AG and the FCC.

Original review: April 16, 2021

I just noticed I am getting a Regional Sports Fee of $3.80 and do not watch sports, I am boycotting sports for being unAmerican. I called to get it removed and DIRECTV said no. How can they make me pay for something I don't want, never asked for, or use?

DIRECTV Company Information