3.8/5 (1213 ratings)

About DIRECTV

DIRECTV is a direct broadcast satellite provider that transmits to homes throughout the United States and the Caribbean. There are many different packages to choose from, each offering a variety of features, channels and DVR options. It's important to note that DIRECTV requires a two-year contract, and most customers experience an increase in prices after the first year.

Pros

• Various programming options
  • Easy to relocate with
  • Multiple packages available

Cons

• Costly to cancel
  • Price increases after first year

Bottom Line

DIRECTV is a leader in satellite broadcasting. The company’s services are ideal for people who want a lot of options for TV channels, features and packages.

DIRECTV Reviews

Over 10k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DIRECTV?

Original review: Oct. 27, 2022

Have had DIRECTV for several years when AT&T discontinued my U-Verse, always have had bad or no reception during overcast or rainy days. I have complained several times and they send out a technician (want to charge me for the service call) and the technician does not find any issues. The last time the technician told me that they have a new system, Genie 2 and I should call to get it supplied. I called and they wanted to charge me for the equipment and make me commit to a 2 year obligation. I recently called again and they want to charge me to upgrade to a better system (I do not know if it is better) and still hold me to the 2 year obligation. They have defective equipment, poor service and want me to pay for it. What kind of business is that. I know that I can switch to another company but cable TV is losing customers every day, they should want to keep loyal customers, but they do not care.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2022

Ordered the free week deal. Cancelled my subscription “2 Days” before my deadline was up. Have screenshots to prove it. I never trusted DirecTV after what some family and friends have said. That’s why I just went with the free deal, for starters. So, I get a message from my bank saying, “my bank account went into the negative”, my phone just got turned off and my bank account, over-drafted. What happened…. DirecTV took my money out, without my permission and even though I cancelled.

Ok, so, that’s not the fun part. I get in touch with them online and they say that I never cancelled. Even though I have the screenshots?? Why? No at DirecTV knows. I even tried to send them the screenshots of me cancelling, but they don’t care. So, now, they say, “They can’t cancel me online and I have to call an agent.” Even though I just explained to them, my phone got turned off. They were very rude and misleading at the least. D.O.N.T. do business with DirecTV. They screwed my money, day, and need to find an online streaming service!! They are thieves!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2022

I called to get satellite service, they collected $19.95 as a deposit. Technician said I couldn’t have, because of my location and trees in the way. This was Dec 23, 2021 to this day and several calls later, I still have not received my $19.95 back, it’s the point!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2022

Our experience with DirecTV is that it is EXPENSIVE and doesn't work all the time. We cut the cord and are streaming now. I took the equipment to UPS to return and the clerk looked me dead in the eye and with all seriousness said, "Keep this receipt forever in a safe place. They tell all their customers that they didn't receive the equipment and they'll charge you for it later...years later." I thought he was kidding but kept the receipt. Sure enough, a few months later, I get a call to return the equipment.

I emailed DirecTV the receipt and didn't hear anything until I got a call from COLLECTIONS! I sent THEM the receipt too and politely told them I hope they still got paid from DirecTV. YEARS later, my husband went to AT&T to transfer his phone and THEY said, "You have an outstanding account with DirecTV on your credit" so he PAID the account in full and told me later. This company is SHADY, SNEAKY and should be INVESTIGATED! Do yourself a favor and use ANY company other than DirecTV. If you do, just keep it forever or keep the equipment since you'll be charged for it anyway.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2022

Money aside, DIRECTV is a perfectly fine service, particularly if you live in an area without fiber to the home. That said, the pricing is an absolute, insane joke. Just do 10 minutes of research on other streaming services. Apple TV, Hulu, Vudu, Amazon, etc. DIRECTV is simply not a competitive offering. They are unapologetic for their gouging and their only attempt at lowering your monthly is to limit your content. Their days are numbered if they don't find a way to be competitive. Oh, and if the Customer Success team tries to route you to the VIP desk after you cancel, just hang up. They provide zero service and offend you with lackluster bundles that again, don't compare to the available streaming alternatives.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2022

8 hours of my time. I essentially debugged their system. I wanted to send them an invoice for my time, they refused to give me an address to send the invoice. DirecTV outsources their customer service and provides inadequate training and delegates no authority to their CSRs. You have to go up several layers to get anybody who can do things. That takes days, not minutes. I have 8 hours into something that should have taken 10 minutes.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2022

DIRECTV is horrible! I notified them I wanted to discontinue my service. They billed me for 2 months after I stopped my service leaving me no option but to pay for service I didn’t receive. Stay away!!!!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2022

Didn't even bother to show up for the install date! What a joke, don't even bother with this company, they're a complete joke! Completely unprofessional, had me take a half day off of work and then never showed up!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2022

The local phone company is going to phase out their current TV provider by 2023 and instead offer DirecTV as a streaming service. As we live in small town in a rural area the only choices for TV are DirecTv or the Dish Network and the only choices for internet service are the phone company or much more expensive and slower satellite internet.

The local phone company is offering DirecTV at $20 discount for the first year and a $10 discount the second for the DirecTV Ultimate Package. They will be charging $10 per TV box for the first year. The free standard DVR cloud storage is limited to 20 hours of recording, 10 episodes of any show and are only retained for 90 days. We would opt to pay another $10 a month for the so called "unlimited" cloud DVR service. This is not actually unlimited as programs are only retained for 9 months and no more than 30 episodes of any show can be recorded.

DirecTV's own website currently offers the Ultimate Package for a $20 discount for the first two months with no charge for the so called unlimited DVR cloud storage. Depending on your credit score they will charge you $10 per TV box for 12 months or $5 per TV box for 24 months. The total cost of the first year of the Ultimate Package with three TVs and unlimited DVR cloud storage would be $1499.98 through the phone company's DirecTV reseller program and $1579.88 directly from DirecTV, a savings of $80.

The second year both options would have the same cost of $1259.88. The third year would see the phone company's DirecTV reseller program charging $1379.88 versus $1259.88 directly from DirecTV, a loss of $120. During the first three years of buying DirecTV through the phone company instead of directly from DirecTV would cost $80 more. In the fourth year and beyond it would cost us $120 more to buy DirecTV through the phone company.

From repeatedly contacting DirecTV via their live chat and via phone conversations it is quite evident that they are compulsive liars who are willing to tell you anything in order to make a sale. I called them to ask how many channels you could record at the same time and they responded it was unlimited, but then later they said it was five. They said I would be able to record 5 channels at once and still have the ability for family members to watch three other channels on the household's three TVs, but I have no way of confirming that as they couldn't point to a webpage detailing that and they had previously lied.

I asked them for information on a package monthly price guarantee and they responded by saying that I should click the "See details" link on each package. Clicking this link brings up a popup window with various terms, none of which include a price guarantee. One rep told me there was 12 month price guarantee and another said there was a 24 month price guarantee. The only 12 month and 24 month guarantee in the "See details" link are how much they are going to charge you per month for the TV boxes - $10 for 12 months per box or $5 for 24 months per box. There is no package price guarantee.

Their terms of service clearly state they can raise their prices at any time. They just had a price increase in 2022 - $10 a month for the Ultimate package that I was looking at. A Google search produces other routine price increases. One rep said to expect a $5 or $10 raise every 1 or 2 years. Another rep said $5 to $15 annual raise. Another said the increase in price of $10 was not a monthly but a yearly charge - the rep continued to insist on this even after I pasted a link to a page with the 2022 price increase that clearly states it's a monthly price increase.

I made attempts to examine their channel guide so as to access the type of programming on each channel but that was of no use. If you currently are not a subscriber there is no filter in their guide to just show the channels in each package. The only way you can do this is to actually subscribe and use a filter to show the channels you are subscribing to. Instead non subscribers are expected to scroll through channels numbered from 1 to over 9000.

To evaluate their programming I print off a list of channels and assign a number to a channel based upon how much the channel will be viewed. Since their guide is not useable for non-subscribers. I needed to consult other websites for channels whose programming that I am not familiar with. A channel that I will never view gets a 0 - a good example would be any shopping channel.

Channels that would rarely be viewed get a 1. These might only be viewed briefly if I happen to being manually scanning the channels and there is literally nothing else on the other channels and I have no DVR recordings to watch. I'd gladly trade all these channels for just one decent one. Many of these repeat the same content - just how many channels do you need; for instance, that repeat reruns of the Family Guy, NCIS, Seinfeld and various other syndicated shows? Channels with occasional use get a 2; medium use get a 3 and heavy use get a 4. The Ultimate Package contains 144 channels as of this review. Some 74.99% of their channels is worthless garbage (0 & 1).

0 66 45.83%
1 42 29.16%
2 15 10.41%
3 6 4.16%

4 15 10.41%

They also claim to carry local channels but that is not true. Each of the local network affiliates also operate one to five digital sub channels which DirecTV does not carry. For instance; the local FOX affiliate also operates the local MeTv affiliate and four other stations. They only provide 8 of the 21 local stations.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2022

We were loyal customers to DirecTv for over 15 years. We were never late payment customers and always had more expensive upper-level packages. We kept our service thru a residence change and added to our already selected service package by now having a receiver in every room (6). After all this time, we built a new house and decided for our new location we would go with a different service provider and called to cancel although we were keeping the existing home for business clients to stay in when we had someone in town (very rarely). They explained that rather than suspend our service they could offer us a suspension of service for a small monthly fee so that when we had guest, we could turn it on and only be charged for that month.

A year down the road I received a bill for full price. When we called, they explained that for some reason it got turned back on and wasn't sure why, but it would be handled and turned back off if we wished. After another 9 months we received a bill for a month and a half or so of service. I called again and explained our situation and the customer support rep explained it was their fault and that it would be taken care of and as soon as equipment was received, they would cancel service and current bill.

At this time, I decided we would just cancel all together. We returned the equipment on time like asked of us. A month later they are asking for $400 plus because the service was turned back on (without us asking) and although there is no power to the residence and I originally wanted to cancel they still said they were legitimate charges, and I would have pay them. I don't understand how you can offer someone a service and then change everything about that agreement. My credit is great, and I don't believe I want to just dispute it and have that blemish but what are we to do?

Also, the rep told me on a recorded line that bill would be set to $0.00 just return the equipment. However, I returned the equipment and then was charged as well as had an attempt to collect a debt email sent! How is this ok? 15 years of service and loyalty to your company. I wanted to cancel, was offered a suspension of service and then charged. I am a business owner as well; I would be drug thru the mud if I had business practices like this. I spent over $40k with them over the time I was a customer with decent service. I feel as if this was punishment for leaving. I will always do my best to explain and educate my experience to as many people as I can about these business ethics.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2022

I have been a DIRECTV customer for over 23 years. The last year has been a truly unpleasant experience and no one at this company cared. After several attempts to correct (they kept adding channels to my account 6 times and charging me for them) without my permission, I called to cancel my service. 23 year customer, great pay history and again they did not care that I was leaving. They did not even ask me why, just, "Ok it will be canceled."

Original review: Aug. 6, 2022

My parents have had DIRECTV for over 5 years now after being priced out of local cable options and there's only one cable provider. God I wish they had Fios in their area. So they have DirecTV and we've had the same equipment since the first install. The main genie box is in the living room and it's been fine until 2 weeks ago the volume stops working. If the volume is not working on the DirecTV but it's working on the Roku that tells me, an IT person, something's wrong with the DirecTV box.

Cue calling DirecTV today. They can try to help me program the remote via new technology to use the camera of my phone to look at the TV, that's actually a great technological advancement. But our TV brand's not in the list. We have codes, the internet has found plenty of digital code numbers that will allow us to sync our TV with various universal remotes and cable services. DirecTV system doesn't give you the option to enter a code you must pick the name of the brand from the list. Our brand is not on the list. The person on the phone proceeds to tell me to pick a different brand, like okay that's not our brand but I'll try it. It automatically searches codes. There's only one code to try. It doesn't work. Then I give her my logical deduction previously mentioned, what if it's the box that's not working?

In order to send someone to the house to investigate the box and possibly replacement it's going to be $99 unless my parents' showing protection plan for 8.99 a month. How dare you charge paying customers to give them support. My parents pay you over $1,500 every year for your satellite service. Your equipment has obviously broken because nothing's happened to our TV. It's still working on other devices, the HDMI cable has not moved. Nothing has damaged it. Obviously the box is old and has failed. But how dare you suggest you're going to charge us to investigate it. I would happily crack the thing open if I was an authorized technician but I'm not.

So here we are shilling out $9 a month for a protection plan that we may never have to use again. This happened to my parents with Optimum Cable too, had to start paying for a protection plan if we wanted anyone to come out to the house or was going to be $100 each time. How dare you take advantage of people in these rural areas who can't just bring the box to you for support. And can you imagine the elderly people who just want to be able to channel surf throughout the day and now it's not working? They certainly can't navigate the menus and you're going to charge them $100 a pop to send someone to help? Shame on you. And you charge an arm and a leg for such a long list of channels that has no entertaining content. I'll be switching my parents to YouTube TV within the year.

Original review: July 27, 2022

Wife got offered a deal by a sales lady at Costco. We switched over everything - tv / internet/ and cell service. Since then, it has been an absolute nightmare. Just spent 67 minutes on the phone with a supervisor in Idaho (I'm in Fresno Calif) - at the end, nothing accomplished. I have to call back in the morning and schedule the 3rd tech service call to my house. I could type hundreds of words on what has happened - hours on the phone etc. After months and two tech home service calls, the system still does not work. Just please, take my advice and do not do business with DirecTV - they will lie to your face - you will be as sorry as I am if you do.

Original review: July 25, 2022

In early June of 2022, we had a lightning strike and lost a receiver in our main living room in which we watch most TV. The next appt was 10 days out. When we called we spent almost an hour on the phone with Tech support who agreed we needed a new receiver. When the tech (outsourced working for MasTech) arrived, he did not have a receiver and only check cables. After finding cables were fine, he advised, he didn't have a receiver and that we would have to make another service call. When I called, the next appt was a month out.

When the same tech came out a month later, he had the wrong receiver. When I asked, "How did you do that," he was VERY combative and said he did not do anything and that he was leaving. I literally begged him to stay, but he would not. So again, no receiver and no TV in our living room. When I called DTV to advise of what had happened and advise that I did not want that technician back to my home, I was advised that since he was a MasTec employee, they could not tell me who he was AND could not guarantee he would not be the tech to return even after I explained that I felt uncomfortable with this person coming into my home. Because of this, we cancelled our service after being a loyal customer of DTV for 20 years.

I spoke with MULTIPLE representatives including a manager named Will in the customer loyalty department at DTV and none could tell me that he would not return. We have since moved to Dish Network and the experience with their Tech associates and installation folks have been so different. The technician that came out was very invested in his employment and I could tell he was proud to work for Dish Network. This was the exact opposite of the experience we had with the MasTec (outsourced) employee that DTV sent.

Original review: May 13, 2022

I have consistently lose channels. They will not come out to fix. Pay for a premium sports package that is no longer available. Pay for two boxes one does not work and fighting to replace. This company sucks and customer service is terrible

Original review: May 10, 2022

This is by far the worst company in the country. Our government is sleeping. Anyone try calling their service department. All calls go to overseas Philippines. Their English is bad. It is at least 2 hours to get anywhere and then they will not answer anything. My internet is not working. I pay 250 dollars a month. So far I can't even find out why. This company should be shut down and CEO should be fired. The whole thing is horrible. Never seen anything like this in my life.

Original review: May 9, 2022

I canceled DirecTV over a year ago. They continued to call, offering me some 'great deals.' I contacted them and asked them to stop. They assured me multiple times the calls would stop. Over a year later I'm receiving 3 to 4 calls from them a day. I've allowed my voice-mail to fill up so they can't leave any more messages. Under no circumstances will I ever use AT&T/DirecTV again. I want this harassment to cease.

Original review: May 7, 2022

Yea so I have a 2 year contract that goes like this, $82.00 a month for 12 months and then BAM!!!, $132.00 a month for the next 12 months, really, for what… FOR WHAT??? I could see maybe an increase of $19.95, but an increase of $49.00 a month and absolutely nothing new, not even any lubrication!! You can bet I’m done with supporting this bunch come 2023!! Hello Dish!

Original review: May 4, 2022

Beware DirecTV charges you for services even after you cancel. My bill increased from 50.96 to 125.18 per month (because a promotion expired). I immediately called and canceled the service when I saw that bill. However, DirecTV said they could not prorate their next month’s charges based on when I canceled. As such they billed me for another full month at the high 125.18 rate even though I had canceled the service. This shows DirecTV has a business model of cheating its customers. Beware of promotions for when they come off they will make sure they get as much money from you as possible even if it means charging you for weeks after you cancel their service. Terrible company. Will never use again. Going to Sling TV.

Original review: April 29, 2022

I received the email indicating that equipment had not been returned when in fact, it had been returned. I have email proof and tracking proof. Once I found the correct tracking number (which was on a receipt that had the AT&T logo on it) the agent who I was talking to did not know what the tracking number meant. She called in her supervisor who also did not know what the tracking number meant. (because it had a letter in it) Once I figured out what the tracking number meant (a google search) and sent that information to AT&T they finally realized that the equipment had been returned.

When I asked why I got the email, I was told that everyone who cancels DirecTV gets the email. Part of the email that I received:
Unfortunately, we either did not receive your DIRECTV STREAM device(s) within the 14-day cancellation period or the device(s) you returned is damaged. In accordance with our policy, you will be charged:
• A non-return fee of $120 for the device(s) included in your service
• The remaining balance of $120.00 owed on your installment planThe total payment of {$120 + remaining balance} will

be charged to the payment method on your account on 04/27/2022.

I was promised that my credit card account would not be charged. It was. I cancelled my service 3/15/2022 and returned the equipment on 3/15/2022 and I have proof of both.

Original review: April 29, 2022

I had a DIRECTV representative come to my home and informed me he could save me money if I switched my Internet provider to Century Link as well as add ADT to my home. He also informed me that I could keep my internet provider e-mail address and receive a $100 Visa gift card for having ADT in my home on March 12, 2022. I had Cox Internet and they informed me that my e-mail address will be suspended in 90 days so I had to switch to Gmail. They quoted me $214 to switch services and add ADT and the actual cost is $267.82 which is $53 more than quoted. They also have not sent me my $100 Visa gift card.

I have no problems with ADT (or with Century Link) but if you want the gift card deal directly with them and not DIRECTV. I called the contact number 1-800-645-0423 twice and was told I would be contacted in 24 hours. I have never been contacted. In my opinion, do not deal with DIRECTV for services other than with DIRECTV itself as they make promises they do not keep.

Original review: April 26, 2022

A customer of AT&T services for 30years. DirecTV was added to my account without my approval, DirecTV Stream would not discount months of unused service and charged me a discontinuation fee to stop future bills. Loyalty Team is a joke, a loyal customer for 30 yrs and charged me to discontinue a service I don't use. They confirmed and acknowledged no use of the service for 4mo. SCAMMERS... DON'T TRUST THIS FIRM!!!

Original review: April 7, 2022

I have been a loyal DIRECTV customer for over 20 years. Over the years had I a pretty good rate & good service. Recently since AT&T bought out DIRECTV we’ve had nothing but price hikes & problems with our service! Over the last 5 years we are getting less channels and being charged high prices. Having to call the loyalty line every 2 months, trying to get the bill lowered. We decided the hassle of calling and begging for a better price is not worth the hassle. We left DIRECTV after 20 loyal years! Everything AT&T touches sucks! Going with a streaming service. So much more for less than half the price of DIRECTV!

Original review: April 5, 2022

I have been a long time DirecTV user and have moved several times and continue to use DirecTV. They have normally been very good with getting me on some type of promotion to help with the cost. However, they no longer seem to have promotions. I have talked with several other DirecTV users and they are finding the same thing. So BEWARE. They will now offer you a promotion to connect but your bill will go up after that! I am currently looking for a new company - very disappointed in DirecTV.

Original review: March 29, 2022

I have had AT&T for at least 10 years and DirecTV with them for at least 2 years now. We moved and wanted to add more TVs, we were sent a Genie Mini, worked online with tech to set it up and nothing, it would not work. They told us to return it, we did. They sent a new one, WITH NO REMOTE, AND THEN CHARGED US FOR A REMOTE. We work with tech to set it up, nope, won't work. (No we do not have more than the main box can handle) They send out a service tech, he can't fix it, so we need a new main box, can't get a work order through, he is there for 6 hours, still doesn't work. Supposed to come back and we get stood up on Tuesday, supposed to come back, we get stood up on Saturday. We have an appointment today, no one yet. However they are still charging us for the remote and we had to fight them not to charge for service to the device that is not working. This is a circus and no apologies, nothing.

Original review: March 25, 2022

They try and hit you with early termination fees even though you don't have an agreement nor will they supply one. They will play every game they can. Go with any streaming service but stay away from them. Too much other better companies out there. Make sure you ask to record all conversations with them as I did. You will need it later.

Original review: March 24, 2022

I am a senior citizen and I told them that I wanted to stop after contact was up. They told me to call after a certain date to stop. Then I called and Directv said I had to pay full price for 1 month, not let me out. I refused to pay for that month. They have debt collectors harassing me over $140. Never use again.

Original review: March 22, 2022

Six TVs (2 smart) 4 streaming boxes. Non-stop issues of buffering. Their solution was to go to the higher level of internet speed. Which I did - didn’t make a difference. Outrageous long hours speaking with service - spending 100s’ of hours (not an exaggeration) speaking to customer service/technical support. Having to repeat my issues over and over and over again. I finally got fed up. I first cancelled their internet service and went to a higher internet speed with Infinity, didn’t make much difference. Constant issues with the streaming boxes. Had service out numerous times, having to give up 4 hours or more out my day each time should they decide to come on time.

Couldn’t take any longer. Cancelled completely. Even that was an nightmare. When I went from U-Verse to AttTv/Direct Stream their pitch was - NO CHARGE FOR CANCELLATION. Should you stay with ATT and try their streaming service. The kicker of course is that you would have to pay $150 per streaming box @ $5 for each per month. For me that meant $600 total. You can cancel at any time (you know the story) but you would have to pay what’s owed for the boxes. I owed $250 (cancellation fee) remaining for the streaming boxes.

I paid and it was well worth getting that noose from around my neck. Two weeks has passed and I was so thankful that I didn’t have to call for their service help anymore. Or so I thought. Two weeks after cancelling I’m having issues with 3 of the 4 boxes. Pre-populated apps not working on two and the other box - needed to reboot but once I did it wouldn’t let me in because I needed to sign in with my Direct TV account which no longer had.

The last thing I wanted to do was call their service. Afraid of the nightmare of long waits, repeating myself over and over again to 3 -4 people. Listening to the same scripted “I understand your concern” quip. I simply ask for 1 of 2 things - correct the issue or replace the boxes. They repeated what I had heard for the past year. As a matter of fact I’ve done their routine so many times that I told them the routine.

In the end they simply said “since I am not a Direct TV customer anymore there was nothing they could. $600 dollars of total frustration. They will not stand behind their product. They will not replace the boxes. There WILL be a disconnection penalty in that you’re stuck with boxes that can stop working at any time. The only good news is I will never ever go ATT/Direct TV again and will not hesitate to share stories relating to their crappy service and product.

Original review: March 19, 2022

I have been with Directv for over 40 years and now in 2022 their prices have skyrocketed and they don't even feel they need to compete with the streaming services out there. I told them that I could not afford the $91.79 bill a month and asked if there was anything that they could do. They were not even willing to want to keep me and were very mean and ignorant to me on the phone. I am now with Netflix, Disney, Paramount, Amazon Prime TV and Starz, if you can believe it, I now pay $27.95 a month for all of that. Also I canceled my Directv service and sent back their receiver on March 1 and they still billed me through the 21st. Everyone BEWARE, they are not the company that they use to be 40 years ago, it is all about the money. I will NEVER go back to them.

Original review: March 17, 2022

Bill was increasing every month without any updates or adds to my account, 31.00 increase in 2 months. At the end of every year this happens. Sometimes sooner. They indicate at the end of the current promo. I explained to the service agent, Lena agent #** I have been a loyal 10 year customer. Have not added to my account and just want the same service without the drastic increases without warning. She was very professional and told me to in the future call approx. 2 weeks prior to promo ending so I can be switched to the current promo. She was able to get my bill down to a reasonable amount, without the usual excuse. Thank you Lena!

DIRECTV Company Information