Looking for a TV service provider?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

2.83/5
Based on 4,723 ratings submitted in the last year

DIRECTV

For years, DIRECTV has been committed to providing the greatest digital television experience to over 37 million customers in both the U.S and Latin America. Every aspect of our company is centered on bringing each customer state-of-the-art service.

We understand that it is important to our customers that they work with a company that respects and understands their wants and needs, which is why DIRECTV’s employees are trained and ready to assist and answer any of your digital television needs. For the #1 satellite TV service in the country, choose DIRECTV.

View More View More

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

DIRECTV Reviews

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

After finding out DirecTV increased our rate by $50.00 per month with out telling us, they said they would decrease our rate for the next year instead refunding our money they had over charged us. They said that the rate after the first year would only go up by $5.00, of course that was a lie and when I questioned them about it, they said there was nothing they could do. Please check your bill, I'm sure they have did this same thievery and switch and bait on millions for us with no accountability.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

Originally I purchased the basketball package. For some reason, it would not feed to my account. Talked to about 10 people, all of whom English is a second language, who tried very rudimentary solutions (reset the service, turn on and off, Etc). After probably 8 hours on the phone, I just asked to cancel. It took about 2 minutes to get the same feed that Directv couldn’t achieve directly from the NBA app. Now, I’m having an issue with where my service is randomly disconnecting. I’ve been on the phone with three people for an hour - again, non native English speakers - and I just got disconnected. Their customer service is a joke. Surely they know this and just don’t care.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

AT&T/DIRECTV is horrible! My wife purchased a new phone for me for my birthday at a local AT&T store. While we were there, the sales clerk gave us the hard sell for switching our cable service to DIRECTV with promises of much lower rates and all the local channels we currently had. This was a total fabrication. We live in Connecticut, but our "local" channels, according to DIRECTV, are from New York, a fact that we only learned AFTER the installation was complete.

We called to complain and have the service fixed so that we could get our local channels. After several hours on the phone and in chats with AT&T, and after dozens of false promises (a.k.a., LIES) that we'd have the service, we are now not only without our local channels but without any service from DIRECTV altogether! And we're being billed!!! Now, we have a dish screwed to our roof and new holes drilled into our siding for the cables, but we have no service. I am telling AT&T to come out and restore our old service (thank goodness we haven't canceled it yet) and restore our house to its previous condition. Goodbye AT&T.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

This company is a joke and its employees are far from helpful. They ruined my, and one of their own employees, whole holiday weekend. They have no idea how to manage their own product. I was with Directv for over 20 years, and the past few with AT&T have been miserable. Do yourself a favor and DO NOT get into business with this group of morons.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

I called to cancel. They offered me money off. I said no. I really wanted to cancel. The sales rep offered me $60 off a month and 4k receiver. I asked several times if this would lock me into a contract, that I didn't want involved in any type of contract. A year later I'm reading an article about DirecTV Sales tactics relating 4K equipment offerings to lock customers into an "equipment contract". I happened to call DirecTv to make sure I wasn't a victim. Turns out the sales rep did lock me into a "equipment contract for 2 years". I was shocked. I called in and spoke to Shawntiera ** who told me they could pull the transcript of the call and that she would get a supervisor. I felt bad for her as she waited 50 minutes for a supervisor "Brian" who never came to help her. She then "queued" for a different supervisor.

Supervisor Steve ** stated it he could not review the sales call and he was handcuffed by DirecTv review processes. He stated I was locked into a contract regardless of how it occurred because I received the equipment. I asked for anything he could send me to verify I ever agreed to a contract, he forwarded me a copy of a generic email that stated I was going to be in a contract in the fine print. I'm not an e-mailer and stated to Steve ** that I thought I was entering under the terms relayed by the Sales Rep. Steve ** stated "you have to read the fine print when dealing with Sales Reps". As a result, after 7 years with DirecTv & 16 Years with AT&T, I canceled & paid the early termination fee out of principle.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DIRECTV?

Original review: Nov. 29, 2019

When we moved to my current home 5 years ago, where we moved to, cable was not an option. If we wanted regular TV, we had to go satellite. At the time, Dish had the best deal. Hooked up 4 TVs, Joey receivers. With channels we wanted and watched. 4 years later my monthly Dish bill was $129.00. With fewer people in house, less demand for recording channels, I wanted to lower my bills. I talked to a 'sales person' for DirecTv who was going to make sure I got a good deal! I was foolish enough to listen to him!

2 TVs, no special channels, $65.00/month for first year with an increase of $10.00, $75.00 for 2nd year. A year of channels freezing in middle of programs, I called for repair, $150.00 for service call to fix Their Equipment. Can't trust the receiver, it doesn't record complete programs, if channel freezes, the receiver does not continue recording when channel turns back on. A year of screwed up billing and having to call each month to get it straightened out. I received my bill for my new year of horrible service and, remember only 2 TVs hooked up and no extra channels, $126.00!! A $60.00 increase!!

I called DirecTV. First person was very understanding, but you have to talk to an account specialist! OK, transferred and phone connected, I could hear people talking and laughing in the background so I know someone picked up, and was immediately disconnected! Oh my, temper starting to boil. Called back! Once again I had to be transferred. I was told nothing would probably happen tonight, the computers were scheduled to shut down? Excuse me? 'You will have to call back on Friday.'

Called back on Friday, I do believe these people wrote the book on BOVINE EXCREMENT!! 3 tries to speak with the "Retention Department" and have yet to speak with anyone! Customers dropping DirecTv is like Rats leaving a sinking ship! Trying to talk to ANYONE on phone is useless! ANYONE thinking of changing to DirecTV, oh please, reconsider!! $65.00 a month for 2 TVs is high, but $126.00 for 2 TVs is BOVINE EXCREMENT!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2019

On Wednesday I called DirecTV to respond to a letter recently received in the mail about upgrading all my equipment or some if my channels would not be viewable at no cost. The representative informed that there would be a fee for the service call. I agreed to the charges. Set my appointment for Friday between 8 and 12. I received 2 phone calls about my appointment one Thursday to confirm and another Friday informing me that a Technician would come before 12. No Technician! No show! So I called DirecTV and was on the phone for over an hour trying to get to the bottom of it. 1st I was told someone had already been to my house. I responded with, "What time? I would be able to pull it up on the surveillance camera." Later in the conversation they said my appointment was canceled by the Technician. So finally I had to reschedule after an hour and a half of being on the phone.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2019

For this review Directv will be called DTV and Altitude Sports Network will be called ASN. Dropped Comcast due to promises by DTV door salesperson to get access to ASN. DTV promised I would have access to ASN. They were cheaper, and better TV resolution. Everything was installed. No access to ASN. They lied. Eventually Directv brought ASN on. Yay, thank you. Was able to watch Nuggs and Avs games on channel 681. Went to watch a Nuggs game tonight - which my DVR said it recorded. Conflict on 681 with an AVS game. Nuggs game aired on alternate channel. Went to watch the DVR for the Nuggs game and couldn't watch. Evidently, the alternate channel is on a different package?!

I already paid extra to just get channel 681 after major hassles. Now, I'm told I have to pay an extra $13.99 a month to get access to the alternate channel? Come on people. Just give me access to sports team covered by ASN! Don't keep jacking me around. Just give me access to all the ASN sports coverage! I don't need the full NBA/NHL/NFL, etc., packages you want to charge me for! Yes, I do appreciate the fact - which I see visually - DTV has a better picture than Comcast. That's great! Yes, I do appreciate I can watch ASN games on DTV! Thank you, THANK YOU! But that's not fair to charge more to watch the alternate ASN channels. That's all I have to say about that. But:

How it was sold: Sales person promised new technology. Heavy rain wasn't an issue any more according to them. Snow - not an issue anymore. Yeah, not so much with the snow. It still piles up on the dish. I had to make a $23 remote device to brush snow off the dish - after falling off the roof trying to clean the dish during the Nuggs/Rockets NBA game last week (which doesn't count as a real snow storm). I wasn't hurt bad, could have been worse. So much for the new, awesome DTV technology.

Installation: I thought it worked well. Sub-contractor showed up and installed dish. I assumed he knew what he was doing. Told him to install dish wherever was best. See paragraph above...if I knew this, I would have asked him to mount it in a different spot.

A couple weeks later an actual DTV tech showed up after my logged customer complaints. He was great. Switched some various fittings around, troubleshooted stuff, it was good. He did point out the contracted help was supposed to mount the dish at least 10 feet away from my power cables into my house, which didn't happen. And he indicated snow affected performance...

Also, during the initial installation - something was set up wrong. The tech that showed up to troubleshoot figured out the contracted help didn't set up something right. They had to drive a mile or so away to hook something up correctly at some type of hub. 2 stars might sound harsh. I give 2 stars due to the picture quality I get. But the other problems I list, really, I probably should give a 1 star.

In the end - it's not much cheaper for DTV (than Comcast) after what they charged me for access to ASN, plus additional charges for the ASN alternate channel. Yes, I can watch my sports teams in better resolution, but I didn't expect such a hassle to do so. Oh - I was also promised by my salesperson and some random call center person - I would be getting two separate $100 vouchers. One to get me to sign up, one to deal with my hassles. To date - no vouchers. Gee, thanks. If, my newly added "alternate" channels work and I can watch all Nugg/Avs games works I guess I will be content but this could have gone much better.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2019

I have been trying to get credited for an overage equipment charge since August, and it's the end of November. After calling the company over 6 times - and the overseas call centers are beyond worthless! - I still haven't received it. I've gotten several different versions of the reason why....The check is in the mail, I don't qualify for any credits since my account is cancelled. Trying one last time and then forever writing off this company after having my account 15 years. AT&T ruined them for good!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

DirecTv will give you an offer and a few months into the deal everything goes awry. I have been charged incorrectly for 4-5 months now. My bill went from 120 to 145 to 168 to now 171. Mind you it was suppose to go down each month and be under $100. I have spent hours on the phone and have spoken with managers and agents that PROMISE this is the last time and it will be fixed. After being inconvenienced, refusing to pay, and wait for credits, I am now told I'll get a $25 credit. NO IDIOTS!!! This is my second and last chance with them. Oh but they will try to charge a cancellation fee for their ** up service if you try to leave. I need an attorney asap!!

DIRECTV Company Information