Looking for a TV service provider?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

3.06/5
Based on 4,785 ratings submitted in the last year

DIRECTV

For years, DIRECTV has been committed to providing the greatest digital television experience to over 37 million customers in both the U.S and Latin America. Every aspect of our company is centered on bringing each customer state-of-the-art service.

We understand that it is important to our customers that they work with a company that respects and understands their wants and needs, which is why DIRECTV’s employees are trained and ready to assist and answer any of your digital television needs. For the #1 satellite TV service in the country, choose DIRECTV.

View More View More

16839 DIRECTV Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 5, 2019

The DirecTV guy talked me into upgrading to a Genie. He said they work better, they're faster. Clearer. Naa, I liked my old ones. For starters he knew I had 5 TVs in my house, but he never bothered mentioning that ONLY 4 could be watched at the same time. Isn't that a boatload of poop. What kind of a upgrade is it when we CAN'T watch one of our TVs. Now I'm stuck for another 2 years.

Original review: June 4, 2019

How very sad! I have been a customer of Directv for 20+ years. Lived in the same home for all that time with exemplary service. Then we moved in April and called DirecTV (now AT&T) to let them know of our new address. We were excited to be able to update our system and scheduled for a tech to set up service at our new home. The tech arrived and discussed that we needed some new wires and additional boxes to be installed and gave us a number to reschedule.

This is where the nightmare began ---- First, they would be unable to reschedule us until 3-4 weeks out. We agreed - though a little disappointed to be without TV services for 6 weeks. Then, after making sure that we would be available on the date provided we waited..waited..waited. Then, I get a phone call from a technician apologized that he would be running late. Unfortunately, he was dispatched to our old address. How this happened is still unclear - as the first tech made it just fine to the new address.

So... the apologetic tech advised us to call AT&T again.... This call ended up lasting almost 2 hours and 4 customer service reps later (as I was passed around like a bad habit) I received a customer service specialist who still couldn't update my new address. What the heck. A tech had already been here one time before! All I needed was for them to correct their mistake - update my address and send a technician (again).

All I needed was for them to correct their mistake - update my address and send a technician (again). Finally, I was exhausted from the evident lack of communication and hours on the phone that I cancelled my services all together. And, I even had to call back a second time (another hour on the phone) to make sure they cancelled my services - and of course they didn't. Shocked - not at all!! I have decided that if I have been without their services for this long that I really don't need them at all - and I am sure they will somehow penalize me for cancelling my services after 20+ years. So sad :(

Original review: June 4, 2019

I am in total disbelief that DirecTV has gone downhill since AT&T bought them. There is lack of knowledgeable customer service representatives and the online remodeling was a tragedy. I can't no understand why AT&T would change something that worked to now having a terrible run around website. All I want is to order the same channels I had before. I’m saying good bye to AT&T-DirecTv and looking for other alternatives like cable.

Original review: June 3, 2019

Made a reservation to have a scheduled install as a new customer when we close on our new house, got a call back over a week later asking my husband to confirm all details to confirm the reservation. He was not asked to confirm the last 4 of social or credit card #. He was asked to provide all the full data again. Feeling uneasy about this after the call, my husband checked our accounts, sure enough fraudulent charges on our banking statement. He called customer service directly and was told by a DIRECTV employee that our reservation was cancelled, and other reservations were being made by one of their employees under all different names. Fraud happens to be closed on the weekends, so I called today to rectify the situation. My husband was given the Fraud line on Friday for me to call on Monday morning.

I called the number and got a regular customer service agent who laughed when I told them my story. NOT A LAUGHING MATTER! We are in the process of moving and have had to cancel our credit card due to your lack of security, on top of now must monitor very closely accounts being opened under my husband’s social security number. The customer service agent I spoke with told me basically that he didn’t understand how this was possible as their system is encrypted so data could not be seen. HE CALLED MY HUSBAND AND ASKED FOR IT OVER THE PHONE. HE MUST HAVE WROTE IT DOWN! "Well we are not allowed to do that". Well dear, it has been done because today alone we woke up to 9 additional attempts to charge our card, thank goodness it's cancelled.

I spoke with this regular agent for 51 min before I was told he could not help and needed to speak with the FRAUD department. Well that’s the phone number I called. He kindly noted my account so that I wouldn’t have to repeat my story again and transferred me to “FRAUD”, or so I thought. I was placed in a queue where I waited for an additional 15 min before reaching someone else. I provided info that my call was regarding a fraud case and provided my phone number. I was told that after providing my phone number that it wasn’t an AT&T phone number it was Verizon phone number and I needed to call them. The representative did not ask the nature of my call, just dismissed it and wanted me to call someone else. Keep in mind I immediately said when being connected I was calling in regard to a FRAUD SITUATION.

I then asked for a supervisor since this representative spoke very broken English and was dismissing why I was calling. Then I was told to call yet another number. I reached out to DIRECTV to have them contact me when it was convenient for them since their phone representatives are incompetent and have yet to hear back. Now I want all the future customers to know not to trust them with their personal info because they steal information, then dismiss and laugh at your claim as if it is not possible for this to occur and then never contact customers back when this concern is brought to their attention.

Original review: June 2, 2019

We have been subscribers to DirecTV since 2001, that's 18 years of loyalty to one company. When we started with them, our bill was approximately $61 per month. Now it is nearly $200 per month with NO PREMIUM CHANNELS!!! I just called them for a promotional discount and got NOTHING. She advised me they have promotions for new customers but NOT for loyal customers. We are going to cut the cord.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DIRECTV?

Original review: June 2, 2019

771 code has come up on vast majority of channels for the past 3 months. I have tried everything to correct the problem myself. Nothing has worked. Today I called customer service and was told I had to pay $99 for a technician to come out and correct the problem or $8.99 a month. I don’t understand how there can be a problem with their service that I already pay for yet need to pay additional to have it fixed. I mentioned that I would be canceling my subscription in September and the lady at customer service told me “we don’t want you to do that.” Well of course they don’t. I could go on about the ridiculous things that were said by customer service but I don’t want to ramble on. Very poor service for a very poor product. Stay away.

Original review: June 2, 2019

I had DirecTV for over a year. That worked good. But when the time comes to cancel services, the nightmare begins. Calling to get new or upgrade products are taken immediately, but to cancel they direct to a different service and put you on hold forever (and there is no way to cancel online). I finally could cancel, but it took me 1 hour on the phone just waiting! 1 hour!!! Shameful!!

Original review: June 2, 2019

I have had DirecTV since 2007, but for the past few years the service has steadily declined. The picture locks up, the sound shuts off, but today’s issues will end my relationship with DirecTV or anything that involves AT&T. For the past 10 years at least we have had as many as 6 televisions that operated any time we turned them on. For the past 2 days we cannot run but 3 televisions at any one time. When calling customer service I was told nothing could be done and his only explanation for our trouble must have been a system upgrade. When I explained this was a new problem and I wanted the system to work as it had been, he said my choice was to sign a new 2 year contract or cancel the service. So, there is no way I would ever enter into a longer contract with such a poor service company. In fact, I suspect this issue is a way for AT&T to lock people into longer contracts.

Original review: June 1, 2019

I've been with DirecTV since 2014. I was moving and was trying to get service at my new location. I called them May 12th and set up an installation for May 25th the day I was moving in which they was charging me $199 for. The technician called me and rescheduled for whatever reason to the 26. Which I thought was odd coz it was a Sunday. So I called to confirm the appointment and nobody knew what I was talking about. I was being passed around for hours. Finally they scheduled another installation date for may 31st. A week later. Ok I took it. My appointment time was from 8-12. I waited and waited no one showed up. I call DirecTV at 12 pm and they once again passed me around from person to person. Hanging up on me numerous. Till finally someone tell me the tech cancelled my appointment. Why???

I took off work to be there to get my cable installed in my new place only to be giving the run around. I heard so many different stories. First they didn't have my address right. Then someone else said it was a facility issue which made no sense because if that's so why didn't anyone call me and inform me instead of having me sit there waiting on no one. Had I not called nothing would have been done. But I would have received a bill. That would have been on time. Then they tried to reschedule me again for June 6th. Another week away. At this point I am moving on and cancelling service. And on June 6th if they show up only thing they can do is take their equipment????

Original review: May 31, 2019

A man came to my door representing DirecTV, offering a great deal on a bundled package for only 123 per month, with free install and a 200 Visa reward card, how could I resist? I took advantage of this great deal and it's been less than a month and I have received bills totaling 274 dollars, and my package is not bundled, and I am also not eligible for the 200 reward because I do not have a bundle.

I told them I signed up for a bundle at the time when the deal was offered, but I was told that they understand my frustration but they do not do bundles in my area. I called the sales rep that came to my door and he said he would make good on the deal by dropping off cash to me each month, but that is not the terms that I had agreed to. Having said all that, I am extremely dissatisfied with the services. If I could gave a negative star rating I would have. I am a cancer patient living on a fixed income.

Original review: May 31, 2019

I had DirecTV for over 25 years and was always happy with the service. Since they merged with AT&T, their customer service has been terrible. I had a Genie that stopped working that killed service for the rest of the house. After talking to reps for over an hour, I got a service appointment. The guy never showed up. Rescheduled. The guy arrived 90 minutes after the END of his scheduled 4-hour window and only after I called to complain. He couldn't fix the problem. Had to schedule another tech. Of course, that guy arrived 60 minutes late to his 4-hour window. At least he fixed the problem though. So that whole ordeal lasted about 2 weeks.

I had no further issues until the user credentials for ATT.com and Directv.com merged. I could log into AT&T but not Directv. But you have to log into Directv.com to stream content from your device. Since I watch a TON of TV from my phone, this was a problem. I called customer service and here is what happened. Call 1 - Agent had me repeat the problem, my name, my address, my phone number SEVERAL times. She could not fix the problem and gave me another number to call. This was an HOUR into the conversation. When I complained, she hung up on me. Call 2 - Called the number I got on Call 1. Same repeating of information several times. Got transferred twice. Finally got through to someone who said it was a known issue due to the merge and would be solved globally within 72 hours. Ok.

Call 3 - After waiting over a week, the problem was not fixed. Called in again. Had to repeat everything over and over again. Now I am told that they need to have an Engineer call me back to fix the problem because my account credentials will need to be rebuilt. I should expect a call within 72 hours. Call 4 - I waited about 1.5 weeks. No one called. I called in. Repeated everything AGAIN (and again and again and again). I was transferred twice and got the same story about an Engineer calling me back. This time, I should expect a call within 24 hours. Sigh....

Call 5 - It's been OVER 2 weeks and no call. I called customer service. Repeated everything several times and was transferred between 3 different people. Same story - expect a call within 24 hours. Now I'm livid. She says she sees no data about previous promises to have an Engineer call me. I ask for a supervisor. Re-explain everything again. After 15 minutes, he gives me the same story. I need an Engineer to call me back. Nope. I canceled my service on the spot.

Original review: May 30, 2019

Called Feb of 2019 to get new service to our home in Colorado. They came right out and set up everything fine on Feb. 11, 2019. Great service, very nice tech. He helped me set up DirecTV and how to pay out of our checking account. Due to needing a locate, put a temporary antenna up at our house vs in the ground and said they would be back later in the week or next week at the latest. Never showed up, called back into DirecTV, they asked me to call 811 for a locate. I did, DirecTV never showed up when they said they would. Called them back, this time it snowed and they had to reschedule. Because of the snow and the sandy soil in Estes Park, Colorado DirecTV asked me to do another locate.

I called 811 and did another locate. DirecTV, scheduled me out for 2+ weeks again as not an emergency. They called me just like they said they would between 8am and noon. Asked if I had a locate, I said yes, asked if I had the locate done or did DirecTV, explained I was asked to call 811 for the locate. The tech on telephone said that they needed to do the locate to ensure it was done right. This seemed odd as the folks on the phone with DirecTV told me to call it in twice and now the tech that was going to come on said he was going to do it ? Each time the window for DirecTV to show up is 8am to noon. Taking time off of work for them to no show is costing me vacation time.

Today May 30, 2019 still no permanent antenna. The tech was going to show up between 8am and noon again. Had my dad wait around for them, no show. Called and talked with DirecTV supervisor, everyone on the phone is always polite and very sorry. The other tech got behind on another job. Finally at 1:45pm another tech called me and said they were on their way. My dad is still waiting to see if they show up as I only had 1/2 day off vacation today. Total time spent by myself and my father is over 16 hours of on the phone and waiting for them to show up. Very frustrated with this company!! Hope they show up today!!

Original review: May 30, 2019

The customer support is non-existent and I am going to cancel my contract. The other day I was speaking to a technical support person and after a time they just hung up the phone. Now this evening I called and they indicated they were "down" for a couple of hours and call back then. On top of this the programming leaves something to be desired.

Original review: May 30, 2019

In the past month I have sporadically been unable to tune into the games I pay for. I have been a customer for 23 years and never had this issue prior to ATT purchase. My brother has Xfinity and never has this problem. I need Directv for NFL package, but unfortunately may have to cancel all other premium channels to add Xfinity MLB Network. Sales reps are clueless. Trying to claim games must be blacked out. Really! It shouldn’t be this hard.

Original review: May 29, 2019

I will never in my life go with DirecTV for a satellite company. They rip you off, add unexplained charges every month. Their customer service representatives just don’t know what they’re doing.. I’m completely unsatisfied with this company. I wouldn’t recommend this service to anyone.

Original review: May 28, 2019

10 year old receiver blew hard drive. Agent says “we’ll send a new one free.” Charged 25.00 for new receiver. Money lost... 25.00. New receiver didn’t work. Purchase protection plan for 8.99, for one month to avoid 99.00 tech visit. Representative lied.. 6 month minimum on protection plan. Money lost... 54.00. Customer services says “we’ll send you a box and return label to send back the broken receiver.” Box comes with label for new receiver. Call to send correct label. Label supposed to arrive in 7-10 days. No label. Clock is ticking to return defective equipment or 135.00 unreturned equipment fee. 135.00 charge hits the bill. Customer service says they’ll credit the 135.00 when they get the broken equipment back. I tell them I’ve been waiting 6 weeks on the label they can’t seem to get in the mail. I paid the 135.00 and threw their junk receiver in the trash because they are never going to send the label. Total money lost... 214.00. What a rip off.

Original review: May 28, 2019

60% Commercials. The amount of commercials you have to watch to finish a program is insane. The only way to actually watch a program is to record it so you can fast forward through all of the commercials. Too expensive for the money.

Original review: May 27, 2019

I spoke with a very nice young man in Sam's Club about DirecTV. He explained the program very well and I felt good about the product that I was purchasing. He even set up the time and confirmed my day and time with the company. The day of install I was called at 1:19 and missed the call. I call him back at 1:39 and the installer was unavailable. I lost 4 hours of work because of less than 20 minutes. As an AT&T company you have got to do better for those that work and respect the time of your customers. I was told that I could reschedule, but I chose not to due to thinking that I could possibly lose hours of work again. Beware of this company and the disrespect of an individual's time.

Original review: May 26, 2019

I've had DIRECTV since 2001. It was great til I moved and upgraded to Genie. They installed four boxes and was charged for seven for two years. Didn't even know until had a problem with tv picture. Technical support told me. They offered me to pay my bill for month and 20$ off for year. I had to call three times because didn't get the credit for the month. They still wanted me to pay 100$. I agreed because moving and tired of arguing when they actually owe me around 1,000$. I cancelled my premium channels and then couldn't watch the ones I recorded prior on the premium channels. They told me I could go back to old boxes and services I had in June because I've paid extra for when equipment failed. I asked to have done and now they're saying I can't.

My contract is up in July and will be changing Sat. I've naught movies that they erased so it wasn't really buying them. I would not suggest DIRECTV to anyone and want to tell others my experience so you won't get ripped off like I did. They said they couldn't review recorded calls to see that I was being lied to so why do they say we record calls for our protection. Please do not get your service from here.

Original review: May 26, 2019

On 5/22/19, I had a tech come out to my dad's house to upgrade the equipment as we were told the old satellite is falling apart and soon will no longer work. The tech was a total idiot. After installing the new equipment he tells us that we need a new tv as dad's didn't have enough input to run the new receiver and his DVD player. I buy a tv the next day and ended up returning it because a friend came and looked at the new system. He said the tech from DIRECTV didn't bother to finish hooking up all the cables. No need for new tv. But DIRECTV sure needs a new tech. Can't believe he would do this to a 92 year old who's only entertainment is his tv and DVD'

Original review: May 25, 2019

I have been a client of DirecTV since 2004. Since the merger with AT&T the customer Service is a joke. I have been trying to get a simple Issue resolved for ONE month. I needed to replace ONE wireless genie replaced. My appointment was cancelled THREE times with no warning. It appears the right hand doesn’t know what the left hand is doing. I AM SICK OF AT&T. Please bring DirecTV back.

Original review: May 24, 2019

Have had nothing but problems upon problems since AT&T has taken over Directv!! They ask for a return # in case of "lost calls", but NEVER call back. Told they don't have the ability to make outgoing calls! Seriously? Told contract was cancelled, then when I called to cancel, told person never cancelled contract & I would have to pay for early cancellation! Have spent 7+ hrs being passed from wrong dept to wrong dept, in English, then Spanish. Even sent to the cell, internet, & home security depts instead of tech support!

Tech support always tries to send tech to home (had same problem wk after wk that never was resolved) to have receiver changed out - always their response to any problems. That means resetting all recordings & losing everything that was recorded. Have had techs in home leave work unfinished - both rude & called to complain. Also, good luck getting someone you can understand - either they have a heavy accent, or their connection is so static, you can't hear them & have to hang up & call back or ask to be transfer.

In the last 2 days, I've called twice & had the call disconnected - without the promised "return call" from 2 different departments. In order to cancel "Dummytv", they refuse to come & pick up the receivers, & after being told multiple times that the dish itself is their property, they refuse to take it back, & if I want it off my home, we have to remove it ourselves (leaving it up is free advertising for them)! They put mine on the roof!

You would think that a telephone company would have a better internal system, easier transfers, but no. Now, when calling, you automatically are transferred to billing, no matter what dept. you are requesting - told they are decreasing/eliminating customer service! Billing will do double duty. I used to rave about Directv when Verizon ran it. Since At&T have taken over, there is nothing good about it. We've bought firesticks & are forgoing cable & satellite completely. It's less expensive, as well.

Original review: May 24, 2019

Buyer beware!!! I've had DirecTV for over 8 yrs now. I'm moving to a place that doesn't let a dish be installed. I purchased approx $200 in movies and was hoping to download them so I don't lose them. Well I found out the hard way that you cant download them even though you paid for them, once the service is disconnected you lose access to the app, so you can't watch them either. I am completely frustrated that I'm out the nearly $200 and wish I'd never purchased through my dvr.

In an effort to try and regain my confidence in DirecTV, I called customer service and then the loyalty program, only to be told they cannot refund anything purchased over 90 days. So now I wont have the movies I bought and paid for. I've lost my faith in DirecTV/ATT. What would have made this right is if they'd either have reimbursed me or just sent me a gift card so I have the movies that I bought. That's terrible business and that should never be allowed. So you're basically renting any purchased movies for the duration you have their services.

Original review: May 23, 2019

DIRECTV salesman lied about free bonuses for signing up. When I called to cancel premium services, they were still billing me two months later. I called to check on this and was advised no record of my cancellation existed. So they refused to refund the charges. When my service contract is up, I will definitely be cancelling the account! Don't trust them!

Original review: May 23, 2019

I just hung up after being on the phone for over 2-hours with DirecTV’s mobile/RV service after being on hold and being passed around to no less than 6-technical advisors with no solutions to my problem of not receiving my local channels. Apparently DirecTV changed their software and now when we drive to a different location we no longer get our local stations, just a few days ago we got all of our channels no matter where the RV was, not any more and they don’t know how to fix it. They disconnected me once and I got no call back from them. I finally gave up one the last being on hold of 20-minutes and I hung up. If they don’t call me back I will cancel my service tomorrow, just really very poor customer service skills over the entire spectrum of service possibilities. Very sad!!

Original review: May 23, 2019

I use the online chat and phone service to pay bills or ask questions about bills. Our bill is never the same each month and when I use the chat to get explanation she says I'm paying for channels I dont receive. So then I call to speak to someone and they're saying I am not paying for them nor being charged. No one can explain why I'm told two different things and when I ask a break down of my charges I get told "this is your total bill" and no explanations no matter how many times I ask. Terrible customer service.

Original review: May 22, 2019

I have been with ATT for 15 years and have been happy with their service up until now. This review does not highlight all the deceit and many calls and hrs. involved - it just highlights the major points of contention. I was on the phone with an ATT loyalty rep about upgrading a phone. I was offered an iPhone 7 for $0.99 with a 2-year contract. This same rep offered me a DirecTV plan that included Showtime, an Amazon Prime video app, and a Netflix app among other possibilities. I was told I had 14 days to try out the system at no cost.

I asked the installer to show me how to install the Amazon Prime Video app. He told me they are competitors, so they do not have their apps. Though very disappointed I thought I would try it or the 14-day trial. I called within the 14-day free trial period and asked to have it disconnected. I was told there is no 14-day free trial period. I explained the deal that was made to me and for some minimal fee could be removed. I was later called by another DirecTV rep, after a contentious discussion, I was offered a one year contract with one year of Premier channel programing for around $68/month - I went ahead with that deal. Now I get an alert saying I will lose my premium programing after 3 months. I call to complain and find out I am on a 2-year contract and they cannot do anything about it.

We have had Dish for many years and have had no trouble streaming what we watch, what we select we can watch. With DirecTV most programs must be downloaded and watched later. Most of what I select to watch is simply not available. If I go to the list of free movies there will be only 3 movies available.

DirecTV does not come close to the quality of Dish. The deceitful practices at DirecTV are over the top. I don't know what has happened to ATT, but they are not the company they used to be. Getting back to the $0.99 iPhone 7 - that also turned out to be a farce - after several calls - some of them confirming the deal - I was eventually denied the deal.

Original review: May 21, 2019

The DTV App, A catch 22 product. I have had so many issues with this app for DIRECTV on my iPhone X. No one seems to be able to solve the problem. Often times the people they send you too are not the right person and they have to end up transferring you to another person who isn’t right person then they have to transfer you to another person who isn’t the right person. It is a complete squirrel cage that never stops spinning. Ultimately you just give up or they determined that they can’t fix the problem.

About a year ago I had an issue with the app where it kicked me out and wanted me to login again and I was able to reach a woman in the company that did solve the problem by making a minor change that allowed me to run the app again. This time I have the same problem and no one seems to be able to solve the problem at all. I have a log DIRECTV and AT&T for my Internet but after this experience I don’t know whether I want to stay with those companies anymore. I have been a long-term customer for AT&T and I am very technically literate. At this point I wouldn’t recommend the company with service this bad to anyone.

Original review: May 21, 2019

Anybody out there tired of the same 100 (or so) songs over and over again? Every channel I listen to have the same songs repeated, this has been going on since AT&T bought out Directv and completely change the format last year. I suppose they got a great deal when they got rid of "Sonic" and put "Music Choice" on for us, but I've been bored with the music since about a week after they made the change. Sonic wasn't all that good either, but better than this. This is not just a particular channel, it's the same with everyone I play. I knew we were done in as soon as AT&T bought out a pretty good company, happens every time, just too big a company and it will ALWAYS be that way with them.

Original review: May 21, 2019

For those who have yet had to deal with the Directv Service Department, consider yourself fortunate. As I have explained to various employees over the years, I always dreaded calling Directv and since AT&T service is deplorable. If you understand their system, you stand a chance at victory. If not you may as well hang up the phone. When you call and finally get through to a human, chances are it will be the newest member in the department. They won't be able to help. So don't lose your temper. Just ask for "The Retention Department". If you have any hope of success, this person is your best option. In the all the years I endured two year contract after contract I was only able to have my problem addressed through a visit with the Loyalty Dept. These are the senior employees who actually know what is possible.

Last year one of these good people begged me to stay and convince me by dropping my bill from $130 to $40!! I won't bore you with what has transpired since. But this week I finally cut the cord. DTV informed me the days of affordable viewing were over. My monthly bill was increasing to over $180 per month! YouTube TV was the answer. Closer to $40 and includes virtually the same programming I had with DTV. I bought a $30 antenna, stuck it on a window and now get another 35 channels, including all my locals, for FREE. And the picture is better than the DTV feed! I added CBS for $6 a month, since they carry most of the shows we watch. Now let me tell you the rest of the story. For my 20+ years of loyalty, I will have to pay an early cancellation fee of $340. DTV will finally wear you out. Trust this burned out consumer, Directv (AT&T) will get your last nickel if you let them...

DIRECTV Company Information