Comcast Cable Service
1.57/5
Based on 540 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Comcast Cable Service

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 20, 2018

4948 Comcast Cable Service Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

When I originally signed up I got the Triple Play package, internet, tv & phone. Over time we stopped using the phone because all we got were unsolicited sales calls. My contract ran out and of course the price went through the roof so I wanted to get my own cable modem to help cut cost but was told it had to be phone compatible which would cost almost $300 instead of about $60 for a non-voice modem. I asked to have the phone dropped and give me a Double Play package with the understanding I was not a new customer and didn't expect the discount. Yeah right, once you have a package you are stuck. I was told dropping the phone would make everything optional. They could not give me a double play package and putting a package together would cost more.

They were willing to give me a new package discount for the triple play though?? I still haven't figured out what sense that made. I was going to drop them but our only other alternative is Frontier and believe me that's just a joke. I reluctantly accepted another 2 year agreement with somewhat of a discount after days of speaking to representatives and their managers and getting nowhere. Finally a cable modem came out that has voice and no router at a reasonable price, $130, just in time because all of a sudden some of my equipment discounts disappeared and then the modem rental went up...

Constant price creep with them even when you have a package price. All you get is "equipment wasn't part of the package discount so we can raise the price". I will give them the service has been good and any issues have been quickly resolved but they do everything they can to suck every penny out of the sofa... Terrible value and not a lot you can do about it once they have their hook into you.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I am really frustrated with Comcast. I've been a customer since November/2016 and have had multiple problems since then. Recently, I believe I have lost over 5 hours of my personal time trying to reach out to Comcast to complain about my internet and TV services. For a few months, I hadn't been able to watch a single movie on Netflix without it freezing up due to poor connection speed. A technician finally came to my house on 02/15 to verify why my internet was so unstable and he said it was probably due to old cables in the building. He said they would solve the issue, and at least up to now it looks like it's improved. Also, my condominium is not offering the Comcast TV services anymore, so an agent called me yesterday (02/16) to switch my TV services from the condominium to my personal account.

After spending over an hour on the phone with her to set up the new account, I went home and when I turned my TV on, I realized I had lost all of my recorded TV shows from my DVR. The address is the same, the box is the same, I am the same customer, but they created a new account with my name and didn't care about backing up my recorded TV shows. Moreover, my DVR is not acting like a DVR anymore. I cannot record any shows anymore, I can't access the "Saved" Folder with previous recordings, nor watch any video On Demand because it requires me a subscription. After calling Comcast and speaking with multiple agents from tier 1, 2 and 3 last night (02/16) for over 2 hours, the last agent told me that the problem occurred because my last name in the previous account was "**" and my last name on the current account is only "**".

Since the names do not match, the shows could not be transferred. He then said that I would need to go personally to a Service Center to change my name (and by the way, I never asked anyone to change my last name when switching the services to my new account), and I told him it was an absurd. I don't have to waste my time going to another city to solve a problem that I didn't create. Well, he told me he would try to get in touch with Billing to see if that could be taken care of, and guaranteed that I would have access to my recordings by today's morning the latest (02/17).

As soon as I woke up, I turned the TV on, and nothing was there. I also still don't have the ability to record anything yet. I had then to call Comcast once again and spend about 40 minutes on the phone with another agent, had to explain the problem for the 4th or 5th time, and she basically told me that I won't be able to recover the TV shows that were recorded in my DVR. Needless to say that this is enormously frustrating. Nobody offered me any other way to watch my shows, nobody told me that there could be a workaround, and nobody has a sense of urgency. Now I have to wait for a technician to come to my house tomorrow (02/18) in the middle of a holiday, to try to fix a problem that again: I DID NOT CREATE.

I am completely frustrated with Comcast and will now file a complaint through usa.org/consumer-complaints because clearly Comcast is not able to solve this problem without external parties involved. I will do my best to find a better service provider that truly cares about their customers, and that is clearly not Comcast.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Feb 16 2018 I have been with Comcast Internet since June of 2017, under a contract it seems. I recently added Cable and Security services. My internet and cable went out Jan 1, 2018. My internet was brought back up remotely in less than a week, from following their instructions on my end. My cable has been out since Jan 1, other than 2 occasions when they got my service up for less than 12 hours. So basically I've had cable for less than one day in 45 days, but yet I'm still charged for it. I have repeatedly called to get help but it is a nightmare to get past the automated to only have my call answered in India or Mexico, put on hold time after time, with no help. I asked for someone in the USA but was denied. Those employees in India and Mexico called my phone at all hours of the day, every hour, to ask 'Is your cable on now? Would you please push your remote power button on and see if I've got your service up?'.

Eventually after days of this, I told them to stop calling, "You can't help me remotely from India, my box is apparently bad, stop calling"... to no avail. Comcast has NO communication among employees, each call is as if you have called the first time. I have been told something different each time I called and given credit for outage (no service) numerous times but no credit is ever on my account. I just keep getting billed the usual price of $178. I finally got so frustrated that I had Directv installed, but yet I'm still charged by Comcast the $178. I have tried to get a decent pricing on Internet/Security to stay with Comcast thru the agreement, to avoid nearly $600 in cancellation fees, only to be quoted an everyday rate because they have no bundled price for Internet and Security.

Everything but those two. Some way, somehow, they are gonna screw me and stick me with high fees that I can't afford. They could easily work with me and try to help but they don't. Comcast is the absolute worst company to deal with. They do not try to resolve issues, they are only concerned with money and getting your termination fees when you are forced to end their crappy service. I have never been subjected to such horrible service. My frustration is out the roof. I wish I could have given them less than ONE STAR because they deserve it. I would never recommend Comcast to anyone, ever.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I couldn't get any satisfaction, when trying to get erroneous charges removed from my bill. It was a promotion that I agreed to in March of 2017, which was to be effective April 1st, 2017. The promotion was for one year, which means that it should have matured in April of 2018; yet, my bill increased by $20 in February of this year. I could not convince them to honor the promotion, even though I had hard copies of bills, proving that it started in April of 2017; they kept insisting that it was February, although the bill clearly shows April. I discontinued my tv service with them today (2/16/18), and as soon as I find another option for high-speed internet, I will cancel that too. The customer service at Comcast/Xfinity is shameful!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Canceled my account with them when they doubled my regular monthly fee. Turned in the equipment and was told I had no balance and then all of a sudden months later I'm getting miscellaneous fees miscellaneous charges and when I call to dispute it every time I get a different story of what the fees are for. Then trying to fight it they turn me into a collection agency. Comcast has their own version of reality and is just trying to get money out of you. Don't! Horrific company!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about XFINITY Home Phone Service?

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

Comcast is an unethical company. Most recently, I signed a 2 year contract with them at $225 per month. I kept up my end, but my price went up January 1 to $231. When I asked why they said fees for modem and the sports channels went up. I said I had a contract and they said the contract was only for the bundle. When I signed, I asked would my bill be for $225 a month for 24 months, they said yes. To me they broke the deal but I cannot break the 2 year agreement. This is just the latest in a series of lies, bad customer service, unreliable Internet, and a phone that works half the time at best. I don't even call about phone anymore as who needs a landline but I guess it should work. I would give 0 stars but that is not an option. I laugh every time I see their commercials. They should be selling weight loss pills because that is the equivalent in advertising. Constantly overpromising and under delivering.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I've been with Comcast for over 27 years and it's often frustrating and expensive. Overall, Verizon is rated a bit better but there are pros and cons to both. Comcast pros are many Xfinity hotspots throughout the city and county, Xfinity access to TV is usually reliable, Blast Internet is fast and I've had only a few problems. The cons are NO LOYALTY. Once they have you they have no loyalty to you as a long-time customer, bill CONTINUES to go up (every year or two depending on contract/no contract), customer service is tricky.

I'm careful as to what I let the "tier one" reps do as they often make things worse. On site technicians are often decent. I'd give phone service a C to C- and on site technicians a B to B+. I have not been with Verizon but members of my family, neighbors, and work colleagues are using it. Basically it's not much different except FIOS is faster; especially with upload if that's a concern. But they play the same games with no loyalty (they claim they have one but it's a usage program-not reward for long-time customers). What some do, is switch between providers every two years to become "new" customers. What we need is indeed more competition as the quasi monopoly between Comcast and Verizon leads to an underlying disregard of customers.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018 All I want to do is get a reset code to change my password - I swear I'm using the right one but it says I am not. So far it is 17 minutes, 2 agents and the same music over and over - shoot me! Why is it so frustrating with these guys? I have had a problem for a while, they said to change the modem - it was outdated. Physically went to their store and changed it. Now service is worse. I literally don't have the time it takes to deal with these guys so I shudder when I need to.

19 mins now.. WHY CAN'T WE GET SOME COMPETITION IN THIS ARENA??? It is now 31 minutes and the "gentleman" I was talking to needed my husband to say he could talk to me, re-verified and then said I wanted to change our account to a Google account and they can't - WHAT!!!

All I want is to reset my password to get into my account!! Supervisor - re-verified my husband's info including ss#, then wanted my last method of payment - it's autopay - gave my checking info, debit card, no and no. So??? 46:45 mins later I am so frustrated. I requested a transcript of the phone conversation. Supposedly someone will get back with me... If I could switch I would do so right now.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

This is an absolute ** company. The lack of documentation regarding equipment returns and telephone conversations is astounding. Customer service constantly bounces phone calls between incorrect departments leaving customers frustrated and confused. Stay away at all costs.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

Where can I start! Do not get this service. Price changes every month and it’s never working. I have the “Fastest” internet that Comcast has and it does not work. Every two weeks I have to call the customer service number, first it’s usually someone in India. After you identify yourself and explain the situation they blind transfer you to which you need to re-identify yourself and reexplain the whole situation again! They send this lazy tech. Who hung up on me then called me back and then insisted on coming in my house! No. I was not letting him inside my house after he had an attitude. My service still sucks and I need to get Verizon.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

I have put in so many complaints about this new change to a product that was wonderful, it only seems to get worse. Is Comcast subject to espionage in the IT department? Tonight was the worst, and I could not even get out my mailings. Could not send email, put in email address without them running into one another, back button doesn't work, email would not download, could not finish typing an email as screen would not go to bottom of page so one could see what was already there. I personally HOPE some wealthy users will take Comcast to court ASAP!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

Have to start off, when the service works, it is fast. Our internet and TV has gone off 6 times, within months and have had 4-5 technicians come out to work. They are nice and professional, and get the job done. However, a couple weeks, days even after it’s repaired service is out. Sometimes when making technician calls, and their app saying your technician is on their way; their automated system will reschedule for another day without notifying you. Only way to find out is if you check the app or call. A courtesy phone call would be helpful.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

If I can give this company a no star I would. While I was getting my company together to open I was constantly harassed daily to sign up for their services. So I did. After not being able to get an Business license or to open my business I called to cancel my service today and after an hour of being pass around I had no result. The customer service representatives told me that she will email me the cancellation and what they can do about the billing for the past 3 months. The customer service only sent over the bills. No discount or cancellation. Bad service. This company just want your money. They don't care if they force you in a contract on a business that is not open. They want to be the first to get your money. Bad business Comcast.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

Went to the Stuart location to swap out my dead box for a new box... Cashier 1:6 on 2.8.18 was very helpful and efficient with my request... Came home and did the self install with NO Problems on a 9 year old TV. Good service at the local level and a good install experience.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I am requesting the Dept. of Consumer Protection and our Attorney General's office in Hartford, CT to generate an overall investigation with this company. I'm in the process of filing a legal complaint against Comcast for multiple issues. My last bill increased by $47.58 and Comcast will not give me an explanation. When I asked to speak with a manager the representative told me no managers were available because they take long weekends. I told him I know every phone call is recorded and I was going to include that statement with my formal complaint with The Hartford agencies.

Several months ago I called Comcast to seek ways to reduce my monthly bill. I'm 73 and live on a fixed income. I gave up many channels to accomplish this, however I was never informed I would lose important features on my phone. I use caller ID which shows up on my TV because I have impaired hearing and can't hear the phone when the TV is on. I called Comcast and got the usual automated recording, was put on hold, connected to the wrong department, transferred, back on hold before I finally got a rep.. He told me I HAD to go back to my same high price package (an extra $30.00 per month) in order to get that one phone feature.

I conceded and my bill climbed back to $187.00 a month. Last year my monthly bill was $164.98. This year it jumped to $187.23 WITH NO ADDED FEATURES. I do not subscribe with any upgraded channels (HBO, Showtime etc.). When I try to converse with Comcast reps. to compare the different packages in hopes to lower my bill, I get the royal run-around LEAVING ME SO CONFUSED I can't think. With all the major complaints concerning important issues, I believe Comcast is overdue with a thorough investigation.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I’m very disappointed with Comcast Xfinity. They claim to be the fastest and has the best service but that’s proven to be false. I'm getting outages constantly for no reason. They can’t blame it on the weather at all. I call every week it seems to find out what’s going on with my internet. There are days I have no service with my internet but I don’t bother to call because I’m so frustrated and annoyed by their service. I'm really considering changing a carrier as Comcast has become unreliable. I have my online business so it’s important I have access to internet 24/7. I can’t seem to trust Comcast Xfinity to do its job.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

I use Comcast/Xfinity cable for my new 4K TV, It's a Sony BR65900E. I also have the new X1 cloud based cable box. I just watched the Super Bowl and the picture was quite good. But when I watch the Golden State Warriors on channel 720 the picture is often very blurry. What the heck? Why so much variability?! Anyway, this is a warning to be careful about buying a 4K TV. It might not be better than your current TV. Some say that 4K TV will get better once Comcast starts releasing more shows in 4K format, but the downside of that is that Comcast will cap how much data you can download on your TV and 4K will use a lot of data.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

We ordered the Digital preferred $59.99 package with Starz ($5 for 6months). We just found out that the package we got was the Latino package (69.95) with no Starz channels. I’m upset because they charged us for the Latino package and Starz. I tried to explain to them on the phone, went through several customer service reps, was on the phone for an hour trying to figure it out for them to tell me there isn’t anything I can do. I just ordered the service on 1/21/2018 and found out that it’s not even the right package we ordered. I will be calling and disconnecting our service! Not happy!!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

I have had services with Comcast since September 2000. I was given a $20.00 credit in September 2017. The reason for the credit is because I had to drive to my local office on two separate occasions to return faulty equipment. I deducted the fee from my next bill. Upon receiving my bill two month later Comcast mailed my bill with a balance forward of $20.00. They reflected the amount on my bill as a credit, but never deducted it from the numbers.

Since October of 2017 they have continuously sent me a bill each month reflecting this amount as a balance forward. I have spoken with over 15 different agent at Comcast who assured me they would resolve the matter, they even sent me emails. Then I was told it was the system that keep doing this but no one seem to know how to go in the system and override this $20.00 that keep showing up as a balance forward. This has been a issue for me, keeping me with a headache, and my blood pressure elevate every month when I view my new bill with Comcast. Would you please help me get this issue resolved.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

I have been a Comcast customer for many years. My contract states free movies, however, recently all the most wanted to watch movies have gone to Netflix, at an additional charge, because you need to be a Netflix subscriber. I do not want to pay for Netflix as Comcast is charging me $30.00 more per month. Comcast is definitely a rip-off, as they increase their monthly bill, yet take away services. They tell me there is still a library of free Comcast movies, which I checked, and indeed they are there, but they are so old, no one wants to watch them! Get with the program, Comcast, or you will definitely be losing a whole lot of customers.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

Comcast upgraded my acct. Said $ would be .05 cents more... Not!!! Canceled items on my acct, HD service etc. They said they would "give" me HBO & Showtime for 1 year but could only be renewed every 3 months... Well they now say that offer is gone & they do not have it stated on my acct. BS. They will do anything to hook you in a deal & not honor what they stated. :(

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

Comcast customer service is absolutely horrible! Their services are awful and they are way overpriced! I have had nothing but problems for the past 3 years and when canceling my services I am now being charged over $200 which no one told me about early cancellation fees. I called to talk to a supervisor. He barely spoke English. He was absolutely horrible and after telling him that my services were horrible and I had to cancel because I couldn't afford a $200 bill every month they still want to charge me $200 just to cancel.

I tried going down to just internet and switch a TV providers for cable but they still wanted over $100 for just internet when other internet providers are offering internet for $30 a month there is over $100 a month which is completely outrageous! I highly recommend you do not go with Comcast Xfinity and find somebody better in your area for a better price because all you're going to get with Comcast is a headache and a run around spread the word to your friends and family do not go with Comcast they are horrible!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I've been with this company for a little over a year and I regret every minute of it. To spare all the crazy details from day one (not ordering equipment for me when I signed up with them), my most recent issue was with my bill. I was told that I would not be charged for the additional cable box EVER according to management. Now I call because I've been charged for it for the last 7 months and I'm told that it was a PROMOTION and that promotions don't last forever for any company. I was NEVER advised that it was a promotion and I basically get an answer of 'oh well sorry'. I'm now currently awaiting a call back from a "manager" who according to the rep I just spoke with is "going to explain the same thing to me". To be honest I don't care what they say. I was never told promotion and I expect a company in business for a long time to hold up to their word at the end of the day. WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER!!!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

When we have a problem, we only get an automated answer on the phone. We used to be able to talk to a real person. Also, we usually have a very good picture on our cable service, but lately the picture cracks up on some recorded programs.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

This company is out of control. They apparently have no government oversight as they continually increase fees and add-on charges like "regional sports fee" which is a "recovery fee" per their customer service line. There hasn't been a single sports event viewed in my home in 5 years yet Comcast charges me $6.75 per month to recover this bullcrap. What makes things the worst is that Comcast apparently has a monopoly in Baltimore and Verizon Fios cannot be signed up in my area. I absolutely HATE this company and their "fees".

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

I been with Comcast for 14 yrs always complaining with them about the bad services. Now I did a contract for 2 yrs that way I can have one same payment and they broken the contract. They increased me my monthly bundle and they said there is nothing can't do for me! This so bad and the end customer pay for all the impudence that exists in this country and nobody does nothing at all.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

I have been a customer of Comcast for less than 1 year. Since the inception I have been experiencing problems with this company. During installation, they hit my gas line and caused a gas leak. It took them a while to repair my driveway as it needed to be dug up. The company that they work with to repair the driveway came one weekend, dug up the driveway and left without communicating to me that it would not be completed the same day. After calling Comcast and the company, it was fixed. They did not inform me that channels I received on one box would not receive on another box. This was all in 2017.

Now, in 2018 the issue this time is that I am not receiving all channels for which I am paying on any of the boxes. Certain channels are either not received at all or picture quality is poor (pixelating). Within the past week, I have had 3 technician visits scheduled and 1 maintenance visit. Two technicians visited and could not fix the problem. I was told a maintenance person came out and did something with the outdoor equipment (so I was told) and the third technician cancelled because he said it was too late and his supervisor instructed him that he could not work at night. I have also been communicating back and forth with the office of Tom Karinshak (Comcast Ecare) and someone from the Regional executive team. To date, this problem has not been fixed despite my efforts to reach out.

Each time I contact the office, all they seem to do is want to send a signal to the box, troubleshoot the problem and then send out a technician. As mentioned above, these strategies have been attempted several times and have failed. It seems as though customer service is not high on their list and I am tired of paying for a service that I am not fully receiving. It is sad but when it comes to certain services and industries, competition is few, therefore as consumers we don't have much of a choice. Unfortunately, cable TV providers is one of those companies.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

I have been a Comcast customer for 35 years. Just recently my data usage has doubled but my viewing habits and Internet use have not changed. When trying to contact Comcast, am constantly routed the people who do not speak clear English. I am unable to resolve the problem or find out why this is happening. When I visit the local Comcast store I am told they have no ability to determine what is happening or any way that I can find out.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

I have had Comcast Cable for about 10 years (guess) since it 1st became available in my neighborhood. I have them only for Internet Service with their "Blast" package which currently, with taxes and fees etc., run $107 per month. On January 15th, 2018, I had decided to switch and use Comcast (Triple Play) for TV and Phone consolidating all services from 3 different providers. In the process of trying to upgrade my cable package, I saw the detail of my current package which includes, to my surprise, $10 per month for "equipment rental". The problem is, I Do Not Rent ANY equipment from them.

When I first got cable, the installer came and "set-up" my internet. I wired my home when it was built in 2003 for cable so there was really nothing needed inside the house. When the installer "set up" the service, which was SUPPOSED to include a Wireless Modem Router, he indicated he did not have one on the truck but at some point, would bring one back. Long story short, he never did, and I MAY have tried to complain once (it has been so long ago. I really don't know if I did, or I just recall I needed to), but with Comcast, if you plan to complain, you really need to set a day (or 2) aside. But again, to be fair, I think I remember calling once after the install to ask for the wireless modem and gave up, but I really CANNOT SWEAR to it. What I do know, is that at some point I just added my own wireless router and the problem was solved. Guests in my home had wireless access.

Jump ahead a year or 2 (again, I THINK). The small 4" x 4" square Cable Modem, which could not (EVER) deliver the "Blast" data speeds I was paying for, became unstable and erratic. At the time, it seems to me the rental for the "temporary modem" (now a couple years into waiting for the original installer to return) was a $5 per month rental, but again I cannot swear to it. I decided I would simply purchase and configure my own Comcast Cable Compatible modem/router and avoid the issue of rental. I purchased a Motorola Surfboard which was fairly expensive 6 or 7 years ago but no worries, I was avoiding the rental fees. So I thought.

I set up the modem/router and I CALLED COMCAST AND NOTIFIED THEM OF THE NEW MODEM. This is indisputable since as a technical matter, they MUST introduce the new modem to their system. Placing it on the line in my home and configuring does nothing until COMCAST AUTHENTICATES THE DEVICE ON THEIR SYSTEM. It was done, and the modem was made operational so there is no dispute, Comcast knows I had my own equipment.

I called and was on hold for maybe 30 minutes on Tuesday the 16th when I found an "Online Chat" option with their customer support and decided to try that instead. I was connected in just a few moments with a Service Operator indicating his/her name was "Ramanpreet". From 09:35 until 10:08 on Jan 16, I spent explaining and mostly waiting for the Customer Service Agent to explain why they had been charging $10 Per month for equipment rental that I DO NOT RENT. I OWN my equipment and they know it because Comcast DOES NOT SELL OR SERVICE (AND NEVER HAS) a Motorola Surfboard and their system is aware of the fact that this is what it is communicating through and attached to the network.

IN THE ALTERNATIVE, they are charging rental for a modem installed 10 years ago that at the time was incorrect and supposed to be temporary but was NEVER CORRECTED BY THEM and at some point, during the 6 or 7 years they have been charging rental, is obsolete and incompatible with their system and could not be in service. In any case, the original COULD NOT EVER deliver the high speeds I was paying for. So all in all, they are either charging rental on equipment they do not own OR they are charging rental for equipment they know cannot be online. At the end of the chat, the agent basically said that he/she had no power to do anything and needed to "Escalate the Complaint" to his "Escalation Team" and they would get back to me in 3 to 5 days. I said this was absurd, it does not take 3 to 5 business days for someone to call back and look at records and I wanted answers in 24 hours or at least a contact.

The next day, I received NO CALL BACKS FROM COMCAST, so I went online with the Chat again. From 14:07 until 16:44 (2 hours and 37 minutes of my life I will never get back) I chatted with Rene ** (a Customer Service Agent) and "Janeth" (her supervisor.) They questioned and even provided verbatim a section of the service contract: "Please know though as when the account was set up, a Subscriber Agreement was sent to you to make you aware that we only have 120 days to dispute the charges. With this, it waives any dispute that were not corrected afterwards. Comcast generates bills in advance for the purpose of making the customers aware of what they are being charged for and it would be best if we check it regularly as well and we would be more than glad to make any necessary corrections..."

I explained to her that I DO "CHECK MY BILL". They send me an Email EVERY MONTH with a billing notice and an amount I am being charged. I also look at my bank account and see that the amount on my online billing notice is the same as the draft from my account. My ACCOUNT IS CHECKED. I have unlimited service, I do not have TV where there could be variable charges for On Demand programming, I do not have phone service where there could be variable charges for long distance calls. I have just the set price internet. Not much reason to believe you need to log in and check their detailed billing which describes how much public utility tax and other fees are added to increase the bill from $89 to $107. Well unless of course you suspect COMCAST IS STEALING FROM CUSTOMERS. Then it could be a good reason, but I didn't up till now.

In any case, they eventually tell me they, in the Chat facility, cannot see any billing beyond 1 year and offered to credit my account $120 or 1 year of theft. When I dug in and said it was not OK for a company to steal for 6 or 7 years and pay 1 year in restitution, she eventually said she had a $300 credit limit she could offer. HEY, but GOOD NEWS, they also have the ability to help me upgrade to Triple Play as they do have access to the latest great deals being offered by Comcast. I declined the RANDOM $300 and said I wanted full restitution and I wanted them to check THEIR RECORDS, which ONLY THEY have access to and see when the new equipment was brought online and exactly how much they had overcharged in improper rental fees for 6 or 7 years.

I did agree to compromise: I told them I believed in civil litigation I would probably be restricted by Statute of Limitations to 4 years (although I have no idea where I think I heard that) and I would therefore settle for 4 years at $10 per month or $480. I know, it is petty over $180 but I am steamed, and it strikes me that this is a MUCH LARGER scheme. I of course have no proof it is systemic. But, Comcast is not known for their customer service and I just cannot see this is a routine billing error and oversight. And, in any case, if it were, when it is brought to their attention that they are essentially STEALING, they should have the decency to look at the problem and audit their mistake and fully correct it, not pay pennies on the dollar and profit from the theft.

So, the supervisor in the Philippines said she truly could not agree to anything above $300 and truly had no access to records beyond 1 year. She indicated that she had to push it to the next level and that someone from the "LOCAL OFFICE" would call me in that magic 3-5 business days. She assured me that they could look at the full records and resolve the issue and provide answers. Welcome to 7 days later and NO ANSWERS, NO CALLS, NOTHING. THIS IS RIDICULOUS. It is simple in this day and age of digital record keeping, to make an inquiry. No one must pull dusty boxes from a warehouse in the middle of a swamp 20 miles away from the main office. It is a simple computer inquiry to bring up all records on my account where the MAC address of the modem in service matches MY EQUIPMENT currently online. No more complicated than that.

So on Thursday, 01/25/2018 at 1:07 p.m. (local/EST) I chose the option to have Comcast "Call Me Back". On their website, you can sign in from your account, select the type of problem you need to discuss and get in queue for a callback. I gave my preferred number for callback and got a message indicating a 30 minute wait. And Wait I did until 2:15 p.m. I signed back in, gave the same information, and again, received the message, approximately 30 minutes and they would call. And again, I waited... and waited (Comcast Time is a little different than real world time). At 3:20, laughing now, I tried again. This time however, shocking, there was a "PROBLEM creating your callback" and the pop up advised me to call 800-XFINITY. So, I did and it went straight to "Sam" a very nice young lady in... drum roll... the Philippines!

Sam wanted to help, but rather than spend a day or two reviewing, I just stopped her and told her, that Chat Agents had already indicated that they couldn't help, so just please put me in with the US, preferably my State's, group handling billing. Unbelievable as this may sound, she put me on hold, came back after talking to her supervisor, and said: "I can not transfer you, because I have no means for this, but I do have alternate plans for you to take. You just need to hang up and call back the same number you just called and maybe you will get to the U.S."

I was stunned... but yes, she was actually telling me to call back and hope the system sent me somewhere else. I explained the non-sense of the suggestion... Just hang up and call back, like 1,000 times because there are "Comcast Call Centers" also known as boiler rooms in every low income 3rd world country on the planet, so if I just call back, law of averages says, I guess...

She eventually told me her supervisor would call me back and hopefully they could help get me to the U.S. She also assured me the supervisor was calling me immediately, just 3 minutes. So, at 3:37 p.m. after 20 minutes of right away had elapsed, with no call from a Philippines supervisor - I know shock, right? - I decided to try a trick... I called the SALES line for my local store, which took me to an automated system and after several minutes and bunches of cuss words only a computer can ever swear to later, I was put in the hands of "Brian". Brian is in sales, but, he was in sales in Maryland! Making progress now... 8,600 miles of progress to be exact! Who would think that Comcast would be attentive to the SALES line but blow you off and race you around the world on the Customer Non-Service line?

As soon as I got Brian I explained the problem and he said he understood and he would give me to the billing department that was right next door and that they could definitely help. Even Brian found the little "hang up and call back" thing to be worthy of apologies. A few minutes later, I was given to Kiara at the same billing department. I spent about 20 minutes on the line with her, mostly listening to her type and tell me, "Thank you for holding." At 4:00, she finally said that she was giving me to her supervisor, because she had to escalate it. She had offered 120 days or about $44 (this same time period was later reduced to being worth only $14 that they had already credited, bless their little generous hearts).

When I said "NO," and, "DO NOT POST it to my account," she said (in between typing and pauses) she understands that isn't fair, but would I take $160. I explained I had already turned down $300 from the Philippines mostly because NO ONE at Comcast seemed to care a lick. No one had looked at the account to see just how long they had been stealing. SO, she "escalated" to her supervisor who would call me right back. At 4:00, I received a call from Tamir ** in the Maryland call-center.

Tamir listened and tried several rather silly defenses of Comcast, the silliest being "We had no idea and no way of knowing we were billing you for something until you told us there was a problem. And it looks like you just told us on the 16th. We had no way of knowing the rental equipment wasn't in your home". Again, in fairness, that is a paraphrased quote, but an accurate account. So, I stopped and rather annoyed, explained to Tamir, that was foolish. OF COURSE Comcast KNEW; they had to know since you have to authenticate new equipment onto their network. They OWN THE NETWORK. They know every piece of equipment used in my home that is on their network (and FYI, there is only one piece of equipment and that is the MODEM I OWN not like there is some complicated engineering going on here). So, they knew.

He then said that "my first bill they sent was in February 2016". I laughed and said, "NO, It Wasn't." I had been with Comcast for a long time, and I built my current home in 2003 and it was a few years before Comcast became available, but I was one of the first in the neighborhood to get it. So clearly, he didn't even have full and accurate records, or he hadn't been interested enough to look very far, or Comcast is horrible at record keeping (gets my vote at the moment). Eventually he was able to say that the service was installed in 2006.

Tamir, was not to be thwarted in his defense. He went to the "...well, we didn't know if the original equipment was in your house..." Huh? Oh, so like, "sorry sir, we charged you $10 per month for equipment we know wasn't in service and couldn't work on our network, but we charged you anyway." That was his defense? But wait, there's more: IT IS their defense!

I explained there are two choices. Comcast charged for equipment they NEVER OWNED and knew it, OR they charged for equipment they owned but knew wasn't in service and never made inquiries to get back even after it became TOO OBSOLETE TO WORK and couldn't be put in service without their authenticating it. Gosh, you a thief by accident or intent? So, in rebuttal I asked if he could provide any date or documents indicating they sought to recover their equipment... followed up when their equipment wasn't received wherever it was to be sent? Made contact saying if we don't receive it, you need to pay us and it is worth X? Nope... he stuttered a quick pause and agreed that he knew it was "UNFAIR" and that he realized how bad it had been for a few days not getting calls and getting treated correctly. Of course, they all “Understand your frustration”.

He asked for some time to review records and call me back tomorrow at (Friday) at 5 p.m. when he could get this resolved for me. I pointed out that that is all I wanted and for someone to LOOK AT THE RECORD, figure out how much they owed, and make it right. I also pointed out that I thought the original equipment rental was $5 so they should want to look and see exactly how much was owed and when it started. If the fee was 1/2 of what it is now, seems like they might want to know that. He agreed and promised to call back on the 26th or the 27th at the latest with an email at minimum tomorrow.

At 7:47 p.m. just 2 1/2 hours after the last call with him (4:41 p.m. to 5:15 p.m.) ended, Tamir called back. Slightly more terse sounding, he said he had a chance to check the records quicker than he thought and wanted to call back. "So, I checked the record and I can't see where your old equipment was returned. If you can just give us a receipt or something..." I was stunned. He tells me that he can see that the new modem came online in April 2006 so if I could give him a receipt for equipment...? So they suddenly have no record, and their lack of record is what the world should revolve around.

I have been honest every step, although I regret it as it is clear COMCAST IS DISREPUTABLE and would lie in the blink of an eye. I have said, I don't know where I returned it, I am sure I did, largely because I don't have it and wouldn't want it and could use it. Not only was it obsolete, it was dead. That is why it got replaced. But I cannot, 10-years later say but what method (Fed-Ex, USPS, UPS) or where it got shipped to. As long as we are being honest, I vaguely remember a conversation that it wasn't needed for return because it was old and no good... but I think that may also be confused with a bad DirecTV receiver that went bad and was replaced. I am just not sure. Honesty is a bad thing when dealing with Comcast but I could almost see their eyes light up... "Yea, that's the ticket, no return receipts. That's the ticket."

The point being, I have nothing now to say I returned it (10 years later) and they hang their hat on it. I say they DO have records PROVING they took money, and that it now amounts to theft since they are unlawfully retaining the money fully aware they NEVER HAD a right to it. But they also cannot prove they EVER asked for or failed to receive the unit. So, steal for 10 years and when caught, claim we didn't know and we never got your equipment back. NICE.

In any case, Tamir officiously, for the recording I assume, recapped the offers saying that previously offered restitution was off the table, that the only thing Comcast owed me was the $14 they already credited for 120 days prior to notification and the case is closed. Remember how the 120 days USED TO BE worth $44? Comcast math is special too apparently. They aren't satisfied stealing from customers, they have to give the knife a twist and give you the finger too. I got the information for a lawsuit and that is it I guess, at least as far as Customer [Lack-Of-] Service is concerned. So Comcast steals and sets the rules for restitution. The burglar takes all of the silver and the jewelry in the house and when caught says: "...listen, I understand your frustration, but you need to notify me with 120 days of my theft. All I owe you is the costume jewelry I took from kids' room, which I have already placed on your table."

They give wrong equipment and never corrected it. For 10-years charged for equipment never rented and then claim it was for equipment not returned, but as luck would have it, they are the only ones that would know. They have no records to say they attempted to recover it, asked to recover it, or followed up to see if it had been sent or was lost in never never land. MAYBE doing so would be inconvenient? $10 per month isn't much, but do that to 1000 customers, 2000 customers, out of millions you have... pretty good slush fund there Jimmy Hoffa.

It is truly galling. Tamir ** ADMITTED he could see that MY owned equipment was online and had been continuously since 2006. He ADMITTED that the other equipment was NEVER online after that as far as he can see. And he admits that they have records showing the rental was continuously charged even after their equipment was out of service. And finally, he said he has NO indications in the records he saw that the return of the equipment was requested or that inquiries/notices were made about a failure to return it.

If you take money, even by accident, but retain it after knowing you have it and it isn't rightfully yours... that is the very definition of unlawful retention. When you cover it up... when you point the finger at someone else... when you BLAME THE CUSTOMER who has never been late with a payment (thank you auto-pay and electronic transfers) and has NEVER asked for equipment, service calls, tech support, nothing... that is the definition of UNSCRUPULOUS CORRUPT BUSINESS PRACTICES.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

Just want to share our recent experience with Comcast/Xfinity in the hope of saving others from a similar expensive and totally unreasonable debacle. We recently moved from one neighborhood in Nocatee to Daniel Park in Town Center. We had Comcast/Xfinity internet as well as a security system in our previous home, and called to transfer our service to our new home. Although there are cable boxes installed in the neighborhood, Comcast/Xfinity did not run the wiring to those boxes. As a result, we were unable to transfer our service. Comcast then charged us over $700 in early termination fees, saying we "moved out of their footprint." We live less than 300 feet from Addison Park, which Comcast/Xfinity services! Comcast representatives told us they will not be able to service our neighborhood until March or April.

My husband has an office in our home, and internet is an absolute necessity, so waiting 3 months wasn't an option. After three previous calls, and finally a 2 hour and 7 minute phone call last week, I was told they would turn us into a collection agency if we didn't pay the fees! Again, we wanted to transfer our service, but Comcast failed to install the infrastructure in this neighborhood and because of this, we were penalized. AT&T does have their cable in place, and we were able to gain service through them, but that doesn't mitigate the aggravation over how poorly Comcast treats their customers, especially when the issue is their issue and not ours! So, I'm offering this PSA-buyer beware when dealing with Comcast/Xfinity. They have clearly forgotten who pays their bills... and I hope others will consider alternate internet/security/TV providers when shopping for services.

XFINITY Home Phone Service expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Comcast Corporation operates two major media companies: Comcast Cable and NBCUniversal. The company has grown into the largest residential paid TV service provider in America, and it provides a choice of cable packages and services for customers with a range of tastes and interests.

• Service availability: Comcast has one of the largest service networks in the country, making it available in most areas of the US.

• Produces exclusive content: As a sister corporation to Universal Pictures, Comcast has exclusive access to movies and other video content.

• Intuitive on-demand menus: Comcast offers an intuitive menu system for on-demand service.

• Service bundles available: The company bundles telephone and Internet services, and it offers customer discounts for purchasing service bundles.

• Expansive channel listing: Comcast offers one of the largest channel selections of paid TV providers, with 260 channels.

• Best for: Television fans who watch a range of programs, businesses who provide entertainment to staff members and customers with special interests.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

www.xfinity.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use