1.01/5

San Mateo, CA

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

446 WageWorks Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

I've submitted a small claim online for reimbursement three times against a carryover amount from a previous year at my recent employer. First they needed more information. I sent additional information but that was deemed inadequate. I called to question that determination and was told by a representative that it was OK after all and that a check would be sent. It never arrived. I called to question why it wasn't sent and was told it was denied again needing more information. I uploaded additional information online. When I tried to check on the status online, my online account had been deleted. I did not delete it. One last call was no more helpful than the previous. Apparently I'd passed the date to submit a claim even though it had been submitted previously. I'd accuse them of being a criminal enterprise but criminal enterprises are better organized that WageWorks appears to be.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Submitted $891 claim in December - no check arrived. Called 1/29, they said the check was lost but gave me a claim number and said they'd send another check - no check arrived. Called today and they said, the last rep should have sent you a form to fill out instead of giving you a claim number. Then they emailed a form and told me to FAX it back. Did we get transported to 1993? Who has a fax machine? The other option is to MAIL it back, like with a stamp. Looks like I'm another month away from getting back the $891 they took out of my paycheck last year. I will never use this "benefit" again.

Get expert buying tips about Business to Business Services delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

If I could give this company zero stars I would. They are the worst company ever. I paid for surgery using my flex spending card, sent in the correct required documents and everything was still denied. It took me speaking to 3 supervisors before they would approve the document I sent in. It is always something with this stupid company.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

You cannot talk to a customer service rep in the U.S. They do speak or understand English well enough to assist you. When COBRA ended 11/30/18, they failed to notify the medical and dental insurance company so they continued to process claims that doctors submitted erroneously. It took two phone calls, one with a supervisor, to get them to agree to notify. You would think that is standard procedure. I hate working with them and will be notifying my ex-employer. I now have to wait 5 business days to find out if they actually notified. I will be contacting the insurance carriers because I do not trust WageWorks to provide accurate information.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I am only giving them one star because a rating is required! If not for that, I'd gladly rate them a ZERO star company! When I called WageWorks I explained to them that they never notified me what the next step was after signing up with them and that I was never notified about what to do until I was sent an email on 2/9/19 on a Saturday (I don't work weekends) by my employer, telling me that I have up until the 10th of every month to order a benefits card for commuter benefits. I then explained that because I was not made aware by anyone up until today, 2/12/19 on a Monday, that I am requesting an exception to order my benefits card for the month of March instead of for the month of April. The guy on the line says yes, processes my order for March and we both go on with our lives.

Then I received my first email ever from them stating that they have successfully processed my order for April instead of March. So I called again and re-explained everything all over again only to be told that they could not honor my request because they emailed me on my personal email in January notifying me that I had up to the 10th of every month to order my commuter benefits card. Then when I asked to speak with a supervisor due to my never receiving any email from them until today, I was told by her that my employer has the sole responsibility of letting me know what the next step is after my signing up with them.

When I asked to speak with a higher up, she told me there is no one else I could speak with. When I asked for her first and last name she refused to give me her last name and only told me her name was Erika with a K and when I asked for her work ID # she stated she could only give me her site number which she said was 109. This company is disgusting, neglectful, irresponsible and deceiving! They get to keep my hard earned $121.00 for the month of March even though they NEVER ever emailed, called or sent a letter! I will report them to every single site I can think of in order to ensure they are being held accountable for their deceitful and/or negligible actions!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about WageWorks?

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I have been with WageWorks for about 7 months. I have been paying my premiums on time. I have not missed payment since I started WageWorks. For my January payment I paid it as it stated on the website. It was slightly less than I normally pay every month but I did not think about it and I sent payment via website.

When I tried to make my February payment, I was denied stating I owed $2.11 and I was being cancelled. I was shocked. I offered to pay my $2.11 with my Feb payment, they said no. I spoke with manager, Jen, who instructed me, to send payment, letter, and I can appeal the decision. Mind you, I am scheduled to have OBGYN Surgery scheduled 15-Feb 2019 to remove cysts on my uterus and I tested positive for Squamous Epithelial Cells so they wanted to biopsy tissue from my uterus to make sure there is nothing going on that is serious.

So, we sent Feb payment with an additional $2.11 and they cashed it. Mean while, as I reviewed the payment website, I noticed, all the following payment have been made: 02/07/2019 ** Check $733.71, 01/01/2019 ** Direct Debit $729.51, 12/01/2018 ** Direct Debit $731.61, 10/30/2018 ** Direct Debit $731.61, 10/02/2018 ** Direct Debit $731.61, 08/29/2018 ** Direct Debit $731.61, 07/17/2018 ** Direct Debit $731.61, 07/03/2018 ** Direct Debit $688.94, 06/19/2018 ** Direct Debit $774.28. Now, not only do I have a delay in care, they cashed my money and I still do not have insurance. I sincerely hope someone reads this and takes this information to heart. DO NOT PURCHASE IN ANY WAY WAGEWORKS/BENEDIRECT INSURANCE!!! No one should ever have to go through what I am going through. Their Customer service is worse.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

This company has been one of the worst experiences I have had! Every Month that I submit claims to get reimbursed for Heathcare Premiums I am told it is not right or they need more proof. It’s always something and now they're saying they need copy of My Bank Statement to show Proof I made payments and not someone else! Of course you know that didn’t go well!! I asked to speak to their Supervisor and I’m not sure they even put her on because she hesitated to give me her Name! She tells me that those are the New Rules to get paid! I did ask her whose rules then she said My husbands company! Anyway the call didn’t end very well. I will be calling my husbands company and making a Complaint. This has been going on for Year!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

WageWorks says they refunded my $1,000 but my company has no record of the refund. How do I get my refund after they say I lost on my transit card because I left my company due to a forced retirement and they say you have 90 days to use the money. Can I go to the government such as the federal trade commission or the FBI and file since it was done on the internet?

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I’ve been using WageWorks for two years now and it has been nothing but FRUSTRATION. I would give this company a zero if I could. Even if everything is under the approved criteria the company will find a way to say something is missing. No paper trail of who in CSR or management/ supervisor denied the claim. Every excuse will give you a vague reason why it was denied. This company is a scam and it’s just crazy how inconsistent they are.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

Every single Dr visit was contested even though all info was submitted and it was on their list of approved expenses. Any issues brought to customer service did not resolve anything. I am now facing collection agencies. My company dropped WageWorks due to poor customer service. They won't let you spend any of your monies on approved medical expenses. Then they put up a bunch of smoke to blame the Dr's office and you for not providing accurate receipts. My wife has been in the health field at many different levels including authorizations. She has never encountered anything so ridiculous. How my company was ever convinced to take this sham of an organization, I will never know. Something has to be done about this crooked agency. I am currently working with our new FSA agency and they have told me that they have numerous accounts rolled over from them with the same issues.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

The only reason this has one star is because I couldn't leave a review with zero stars. They are not even worth one star. This is the worst company for FSA administration. I have submitted numerous receipts with the five correct components needed and still have not gotten reimbursed. Submitted a receipt for out-of-pocket expense, and they kept the funds that were in dispute so I am now using my money TWICE to pay for glasses. UNACCEPTABLE and any benefit administrator looking for a FSA administrator DO NOT USE WageWorks. You will give your employees and administrators headache after headache just to use their OWN MONEY!!! Save yourself and your employees grief and use another FSA carrier!!!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

They have suspended my account without notifying me that they need documentation of office visits. I would have happily provided documentation were I aware they needed it. Furthermore, there are numerous occasions that I have sent in proper documentation in a timely manner only to receive a letter saying that my account is about to be suspended bc I didn’t provide correct documentation. So I resend the same receipt and highlight and label all of the requirements needed for documentation which is accepted. So on numerous occasions they have me resend the same receipt verification or they suspend my account without notifying me that they need verification.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

My previous employer offered me COBRA coverage through WageWorks until my new employer's healthcare took effect. My new employer paid over $3k in premiums to WageWorks for the coverage. Every one of my prescriptions, eye care, doctor visits, blood draws were rejected by my insurance carrier. They said they never received anything from WageWorks. I've tried to contact WageWorks, but there's no email contact available, my WageWorks login no longer works and their telephone system is a joke. DO NOT GIVE THEM ANY MONEY!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

We tried to use our balance to pay for orthodontic procedures for our son (many long phone calls and difficulty with website). As of yet (1.5 months later) they are still not paying it. They keep changing the paperwork requirements and sending us to different parts of their website (that cannot "find" our orthodontist).

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

My first clue was when I mailed a check to the address that was in the Cobra information package, the check was returned because they gave me the wrong address. They refused to cover dental expenses for my son. Called twice and was told that my son was covered and have the dentist submit the bill again. After the 3rd call when they couldn't even find any record that I had paid for coverage, I gave up and paid it myself. If your employer ever gives you the option of Cobra coverage through WageWorks, do yourself and your pocketbook a favor, DON'T.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

WageWorks has got to be the worse company I have ever had to deal with. If you have to provide a receipt for over 85% of your card use, due to them not being able to verify, then why even have them. They are getting paid from my company yet I am the one doing their job for them. If I hear one more time about how the IRS requires they verify etc etc, I am going to lose it. WageWorks, You are HORRIBLE!!!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

This company is a nightmare of canned bureaucracy and auto attendant "help" topped off with bored and incompetent offshore help desk staff. Set aside at least a few hours and a level of patience to rival the Dalai Lama if you ever actually need to speak to a human, as happened to me today when the Flex benefits card I’ve used for 4 years declined to allow me to purchase the train ticket I need to get to work in the morning. 2 hours spent on the phone over 3 calls throughout the day, and the best these people could do is verify that yes, they have my money, and yes it is more than enough to cover the transaction. However I can't actually spend it because of reasons. Further they cannot do anything to allow me to spend it for 7-10 business days because the sheet they are reading from provides no other recourse and the people who are financially vested in this organization pay them to give all their customers the run-around.

So I'm left without access to the money I set aside to buy the ticket I need to get to work in the morning. I now have to divert the money I was going to spend on food to feed my kids in order to cover WageWorks incompetence so that I can get to work in the morning. Then there was the time I spent over 20 hours in a month dealing with a barrage of receipts that they required yet couldn't understand. After sending over multiple iterations of the receipts in every imaginable format, I finally got the magical employee that was able to make sense of it all, and the receipts they ended up processing were the very ones I initially sent to them in the beginning of all of that.

This company is a joke, and they have not changed their punch line in the 10 years I have had the misfortune of dealing with them. Any annual tax savings is easily eaten up by the time and frustration spent dealing with their red tape and lack of ability to take immediate action on emergency situations that 9/10 times are caused by a "glitch" or an "error" on or just plain old incompetence on their part. I am immediately disenrolling from all of their programs because of this. These people do not deserve to be in business.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I tried to make a claim for money in my account and I provided three statements from my medical provider. They refuse to honor them and told me I need detailed reports of what was done at the doctor. This is none of their business as far as I am concerned and all they want to do is hold your money and not give it back to you. They are a bunch of crooks. Avoid this company. I am trying to get my money back. Very rude on the phone.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

We had the worst experience dealing with this company. First, there was a discrepancy between the amount being taken out of paychecks, and the amount of money being deposited to the FSA account. This took several weeks, and hours on the phone to resolve. Then, when we tried to submit a claim for childcare expenses, it was rejected for no real reason.

Dealing with their customer service on the phone is a nightmare. None of the representatives speak clear english, and most of them are extremely difficult to understand. They also don't seem to have any idea how to actually solve a problem. I kept getting put on hold for long periods, or being told that they can't help me. Absolutely infuriating. My company dropped their services this year, and I'm so glad that I won't have to deal with them again after getting this issue sorted out.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I was previously employed by the WPP group, which used WageWorks as their Cobra administrator until 12/31. I have had nothing but problems with them. The first three months, their method of updating the insurance company was not set up correctly and they took my money and didn't properly notify the health insurance company that I had insurance. That took me about 5 hours of conference calls to resolve.

In December, I got ready to make my payment online, as I had from July through November. I got an error message that said that my employer did not allow online payments. I figured the system was down and tried a few days later. Same result. I called on the phone and was told that their payment system wasn't working, but it was being fixed. I tried again and got the same result. I asked to make a phone payment and got routed around through multiple departments for well over an hour. The woman on the phone told me that I could mail a check as long as it was postmarked by the 26th. At around the same time, I got notification from a different company that they were taking over as Cobra administrator in 2019. AT NO TIME did WageWorks tell me that my check needed to be received and processed before the 31st. Probably because violating the grace period is not allowed by law.

Anyhow, I sent my check on 12/26, within the grace period. However, WageWorks deleted my account on 12/31 so when my check arrived, they took days to process it (until 1/4), then sat on it until 1/8, then finally mailed it. I received it back to me on 1/14. They refuse to credit it to my account even though this payment is for last month, it was sent within the grace period and by law it should be credited. They tell me that they have to get permission to take the check from WPP because the contract has ended.

I don't know how they can violate the grace period, not notify me that they are going to do that and then essentially yank my insurance and end my eligibility for Cobra for 2019 AFTER the open enrollment for ALL other insurance options has ended, but that is what they have done. They tell me that they will reach out to WPP and that will take 3-5 business days to see if they can take my payment. Then they say that I will get a phone call back. But I already know that they won't actually do that and I'll just receive a form email stating my issue is "resolved." They have taken away my insurance because they operated illegally and have terrible company processes and customer service. They deserve to be sued and bankrupted. They have ruined my finances for the end of 2018 and 2019. They have screwed me royally.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I signed up through this because I spend $400 a month on child care and I figured it would help with taxes and easing the financial burden and it has been the worst experience. Customer service is terrible, you don't even get a debit card and you have to submit claims for every receipt and they wont take "future services". So if I pay $100 a week at the beginning of the week they won't cover those expenses until the end of the week.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

Like others here my company uses them for our FSA and because of their terrible service decided to discontinue use of FSA in 2019. With the changes from Trump my savings isn't worth the hassle. The most recent thing they started doing is flagging things as needing validation when I've been filling the prescription through Express Scripts for years. When I called it sounded like there was something wrong with the transaction from Express but I really couldn't understand the guy on the other end. If I could give them 0 stars I would. My advice is to complain to your employer and stop using FSA unless you're really desperate to save a couple hundred bucks a year in taxes.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

Dealing with WageWorks for Cobra coverage has been a nightmare. Open enrollment period was October and stated if no changes then nothing needed to be done other than to continue premium payments. I did which they continued to cash however, notified my carrier that eligibility was terming 12/31/2018 claiming "non payment" even though my payment had been received and cashed as of 1/3/2019 (well within the grace period). NOTE: payment was created and mailed on 12/24/2018 which is when they are supposed to backdate to.

On Jan 2 I called and spoke to a representative who stated I needed to contact my carrier. My carrier has since been trying to escalate my eligibility up to and including a conference call with me and asking to speak to the RM department. We were told no and it would be 7 to 10 business days to process the payment (it had already processed) and another 3 to 5 days for their RM department to reach out to my carrier's eligibility department. Seriously debating speaking to an attorney.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Dealing with WageWorks for Cobra coverage has been a nightmare. First I was not allowed to change my coverage, even though life change, until open enrollment period. Okay, fine, I'll keep same for 3 more months. After open enrollment, when I made change they cancelled my coverage claiming "non payment" even though my payment had been received. On Jan 2 I called and spoke to 3 different representatives because the online payment center had been down "please try again later" for 2 weeks. I told them I would mail a check and asked they please make note that a check was being mailed.

Today I checked to see if check had been received and was advised my coverage was cancelled, and that my check had been received but they were refusing. The representative I spoke to confirmed the "incident" number where I had called previously, and that it did indicate I was mailing the check that day. I now have to write a "letter of appeal" and "will receive a response in 7 to 10 days". Any takers on a bet? I don't hear anything until I call again?

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

My employer used WageWorks to manage our FSA accounts. None of their customer service representatives speak understandable English. They work off a script so have no idea how to help solve your problem. When you ask to speak with a supervisor or someone in the US, they put you on hold for an hour and then tell you no one is available. They continue to misfile and lose the receipts that I upload. Because of this, I will lose about $200 of my FSA account that they refuse to credit me for because I can't get anyone who speaks English or knows what they are doing to actually research my claims. So very glad my company dropped them for 2019. If you are an employer looking to use their services STAY AWAY. Your employees will thank you.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I retired on 10/31/18. Utilizing the COBRA option, I paid for my dental insurance for 11/1-01/31/18 mailing the form and check within a week of form/info receipt. The check cleared on 11/30/18. I have a dental appointment scheduled for TOMORROW. Today my dentist office called because they could not confirm my coverage. I called WageWorks who told me to check with the insurance company as the coverage was continued. I called the helpful insurance office and they had me hold while I waited for them to work with WageWorks. Although WageWorks passed the buck to the insurance carrier, it was their fault. WageWorks cashed my check, but did not pay for my coverage or communicate with the insurance plan.

I paid for an entire quarter of dental insurance and have not been able to use it. All because of WageWorks inefficient internal systemic issues. This is a very poor way for COBRA benefits to be managed. If I did my part to ensure coverage via the Federal Mandated COBRA Plan, I should be able to count on the intermediary to not merely deposit my payment but enable my benefits to continue as paid. The arm of the government which contracted with this entity should reevaluate an experienced and capable company. I cannot see my dentist now until February 4th. I have to pay another month of COBRA without any faith that WageWorks will handle my funds properly. Disgusted.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

When I voluntarily left my employer, I extended health insurance coverage for my wife, three young kids and me through COBRA, which was administered by WageWorks. To my recollection, they sent me one bill that I overlooked and no others when the due date was near or when I failed to pay. I finally realized on my own it had been too long since I'd paid my premium, and I discovered that I missed the grace period by seven days. As soon as I realized my mistake, I called and asked to pay the full balance by credit card. They said no.

I sent a cashier's check immediately after and an explanation of my mistake and a plea to cover my family of five. They denied my appeal. I made a second level appeal, and they denied again. Maybe my huge premium was hitting the profit margin they were wanting. Whatever the case, WageWorks got rid of me very effectively. A terrible experience that led seven months of awful short-term health insurance and terrible coverage. Thanks for nothing, WageWorks.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

Their policies and poor customer service will leave me with unused funds. What's the point? I'm basically paying them to waste my time. I've unfortunately been a WageWorks customer for the last three years through my employer. They manage my FSA account and commuter pass. First of all, the website is extremely difficult to navigate and filled with bugs. Secondly, customer service is extremely hard to contact. They provide a phone number on their main website (not the one you log into); that number takes you through series of confusing prompts. Only after navigating through several auto-prompts, you might get to a human.

Thirdly, I followed their instructions, purchased non-prescription required, FSA-eligible items through FSAstore.com, only to be denied for lack of a prescription. The representative I finally managed to contact was useless. I will not be renewing my FSA. Like other reviewers here, I'd rather pay the taxes on my healthcare expenses than deal with this company and potentially lose any funds I paid for, anyway. I have more unused funds left in my account than tax savings.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I have spent countless hours on the phone and never once have they resolved an issue in one phone call. I am not participating in FSA this year entirely due to the fact that I don't have time to deal with this company. I have requested a card four times in the past year because they never sent one to me. They still have not. They have botched payments, mistaken paperwork and I am pretty sure that sensitive documents should not be loaded on to that antiquated website! I am confused as to why any business would use them.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

My old employer switched to WageWorks since the last Oct. Every month, I spent hours with the customer service, since when I check with Cigna, they say that they have not received the monthly payment. The customer service agent repeats the script, in India accented English. They refuse to call Cigna, either. This is January, '19. I am still asking them to communicate with Cigna for December coverage while WageWorks has my money for a month. If they keep doing this for many people, they can make lots of money with bank interests and investments. I'm so tired of calling them but I have no choice. It really sucks.

WageWorks Company Information