1.02/5

San Mateo, CA

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

388 WageWorks Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

I'm hoping this will let me give them a zero star rating because that is what they deserve. Their website sucks and now they are starting to randomly flag expenses for validation. They flagged a prescription that I've had for years from Express Scripts and they had to send me a paper copy in the mail for validation!!! And there's no way to give them online feedback and you have to call. Here's the good news I guess. When I look at what I'm actually saving thru my flex spending I realized this is just not worth the hassle and I'm not signing up for it again. Need to make a call to the benefits dept at work and make sure they know that we are using a company that sucks.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

We unfortunately have an HSA with WageWorks through my wife’s work. I consider myself very computer literate, but their program is absolutely the worst to work with - not intuitive, unreliable, difficult and very frustrating. And then, when you finally submit detailed information and supporting receipts, some bureaucrat rejects it for absolutely no reason at all - this happened to us several times! If you are an employer, do yourself and your employees a big favor by using a different provider! And if your employer offers HSA or FSA through this ‘company’, do yourself a favor and don’t enroll. The frustration of working with them is absolutely not worth it! We have brought up these issues with my wife’s employer and hope that they will switch providers next year. If not, we will no longer participate.

Get expert buying tips about Business to Business Services delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

Has taken more than 100 days to resolve an issue that still isn't completely resolved. Was blamed on "coding". I'm glad it's not medical related, just a reimbursement program. Issue started in early July '18, and it's now early November '18. One of the worst experiences I've ever had.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

Extremely difficult to sign in, very user unfriendly. Support is horrible. No answers can be found anywhere. Whoever designed this website clearly did not have an user in mind or simply did not know what he/she was doing. I've been using benefits strategy for years and never had any problems. But WageWorks is designed to create problems and frustration for users.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

CVS purchases are easy using the card, and of course with purchase from the FSA store - which they are affiliated with. Using the card for co-pays or for labs can be tricky. You must take photos of the receipts and send it over, but many of these photo submissions are rejected and must be re-done. Here is the biggy: at the end of the year, I had an eye appointment in December. The bill came in Jan. I purposely left funds in the account from 2017. I submitted the receipt for 2017 expense in January of 2018. They reject it.

I resubmit with letter of explanation. I do not hear from them. I assume everything is OK. In October my card is shut off and they want me to repay the bill. They liquidated my 2017 balance and said it is too late - even though this error is their fault!! I can not get a manager to help me out. I have no choice but to pay this bill to unfreeze my card. Lesson: NO medical expenses near end of year or they will delay the claim until your funds expire! UGH! I am canceling everything until after new year.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about WageWorks?

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

Employers should consider more than just cost when outsourcing. 3rd phone call still have not received my COBRA refund even though it is beyond 30 days. Just spoke with them and they have no way of confirming if the payment would be sent. Only to wait for the check in the mail. Or call back in 1-3 business days - get a new person and start all over again. AWFUL!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I have an FSA account that I cannot used due to their ridiculous rules. I have a bill that needs paid and I do not have funds to pay it but I do have funds in FSA. Customer service is telling me I have to pay the bill first and then get reimbursed. I have called then seven times trying to get my money back but they will not budge without submitted paperwork. Seem like this is some sort of ripoff this company does to make time run out so they can keep my money. I tried to get a debit card issued but they will not give me one saying that the company I work for does not authorize a card.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I have had a health care spending account for years and this company is a nightmare to work with. They accept no claims, which have been resubmitted 3 and 4 times with the billing statements from the doctors. My card has been frozen for months. I just resubmitted all of the papers again and they are saying I need more paperwork. I really feel as though if they reject your card and claims, maybe they get a cut of what you don't use. Never have I ever had this much difficulty and never will I use this service again. Please be careful when using their service, as now that I am working diligently to get these claims settled, now out of nowhere, they say I need to resubmit my claims for 2017 out of the blue. Customer service just keeps giving me the runaround and never truly answer a question. A doctor's visit is pretty much cut and dry, and the statement shouldn't be that difficult to decipher.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

Two times now, when charges hit for an upcoming surgery they shut off our card and say it is because they need proof of charges that are office visits. Straight up primary and urgent care visits. This last time they stated it was an error and would be fixed immediately, alas still have a suspended card. When I ask to speak with claims to rectify, they state they have no number for claims. I’ve read the reviews. I cannot believe companies are still using this service. @Rackspace you can do better!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

WageWorks erroneously paid a parking garage that I have not used for 5 months. I discovered this fact when I checked for my commuter spending to use for mass transit. No one at WageWorks has been able to help me to get the money back from the parking garage and re-apply to my account. I had to explain my problem to six people and none of them had any clue how to help me. The website had no information. Furthermore, when I called for support I was handed off several times. I had to call several times. I was put on hold forever. The instructions they most recently sent me to fix the problem were invalid -- the forms they sent were for a reimbursement request from my account, not a refund request from the party they erroneously paid back into my account.

The participant ID was different for different parties with whom I spoke. Sometimes it was a number assigned to me by them(?) and sometimes it was my social security number. I still don't have my problem resolved. The website only provides a phone number that is only answered from 8 am to 8 pm Eastern time. Apparently there is no capability to send something in writing.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

After calling WageWorks to request a statement for Cobra payments made in the year 2017 per the request of California Choice who utilizes them as a broker, customer service told me they could not produce a statement to reflect my payments made in 2017 and that I should contact my banker to get it. What? Since when does anyone contact their bank to print statements to prove payment made to a medical insurance payment collector for Cobra payments?! That's assuming I made payments through a bank. I did not. I made the payments using money orders. These payments were no small amount. They were approximately $900/month.

After telling the customer service agent that, I was rudely put on hold multiple times only to have him return and tell me they could not provide a statement. The best they could do would be to send me a letter stating proof of coverage with a start date and an end date on it. This letter would take 1-5 days to produce and another 7-10 days for me to receive it in the mail. 3 weeks to get a letter.

It amazes me that with all of the tax requirements and ACA requirements that there are no requirements for a company this large to handle the monies to secure medical insurance - some people's very lives depend on this coverage and that's why people pay large sums of money to sustain the coverage. It's no joking matter. This is not the first time WageWorks has been the source of a major problem for me, but this is the first time I'm reporting it. It's a shame that California Choice uses this company at all. I would never use this company if I had a choice. If it was possible to give it ZERO stars, I would.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

WageWorks turned our family plan into an individual plan without us requesting this. We have been trying to get them to change it back so we are covered. Customer service is horrible. Spent numerous hours over the past month (started 9/20/18) and still not fixed. I would not recommend this company if you have a choice.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

This is by far the absolute worst customer service (claims department) I have ever encountered. These damn idiots rejected my claim 3 different times. I had to call 4 times and resubmit receipts for orthodontic claims. To date the claim hasn’t been paid. I urge other potential clients not to opt for healthcare spending accounts. This company is a joke! If there was a way to give 0 stars I would have. This has been and continues to be an infuriating experience!!!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

Do NOT use this company!!! The first couple years, were not too bad, but this year has been insane! I have been trying since January to get my card unsuspended, still, to no avail!!! I have made numerous phone calls, turned in the same receipts I don't even know how many times, and every single call I make I get another reason why this situation is not resolved. Today, the excuse was that I did not turn this in until August... are you kidding me??? They say, "You have until Mar. 31 to get all your claims turned in for the previous year," so I turned in receipts at the beginning of the year, knowing this could take forever. Funny how they PAID the hospital months and months ago, yet now are claiming that I turned it in in August. I have no proof of when I first contacted them regarding this claim. One person I talked to this year told me to submit this as a service date of January of this year, because that is the date it was submitted.

They say the only two ways to resolve this is to send them a check for $400 dollars to pay them back or send them receipts of out of pocket expenses from this year (that we will not get reimbursed for) totaling the $400 to unsuspend our card. There is money sitting in this account that we cannot use. Money from my husband's checks, and there it sits. I am livid today!! This has been going on for seven months now. And when you submit receipts using their phone app, there is no way to prove anything. Screenshots are not allowed. This company needs to be shut down now!!! They just hold your money and there is nothing I can do about it without losing another $400. And another thing, the ONLY reason they have one star is because you have to select one. I did not want to give them ANY stars!!! They do not deserve even one star!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I placed a claim for $600 for my child's CLC. I paid this amount in August for the 1st part of school. They inform me my claim will not pay out until Nov 1st and Dec 1st as the service has not happened. I pre-paid this and have a cleared check, this service is going to happen and I will not received my money back. They said they cannot reverse my claim or provide new documentation against it. Absolutely ridiculous that they can't cancel a claim that a customer is asking them to. Ken at Site #109 did not in any way offer to help or assist just simply said that he couldn't cancel my claim. I paid this money and have a canceled check, and a receipt and they still will not may be out with money in my account. I cannot believe the company I work for choose this company to manage our FSA spending account, and will be sure to voice this concern with our corporate HR dept.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

Im so frustrated at this company! I submitted 2 claims for a total of $750. Both showed declined but my account showed a pending refund of $704. No reason the money should not have been approved as I have submitted the same daycare receipt for the last year and had plenty of funds to cover it. I waited a week to see if it would process and nothing. I finally called Monday morning and the agent was very nice and assured me that the payment would be released in 3 days and I would see it update on my account within the next few hours. I checked online multiple times and nothing.

Finally called back and a new agent told me a different reason why the payment didn't process and stated the first guy was wrong and didn't do anything on the account. I asked for a supervisor just to complain on the first agent and confirm this is resolved and he stated a different story about what was going on that contradicted the first 2 agents. This supervisor told me that my account was on hold cause my company did not pay them. I advised him the money comes out of my check every two weeks and I can see the balance on the online portal. Then I asked for a manager who after another long hold told me another story about why my account was messed up. Apparently a payment hold had been applied in error. No notice on the one portal or notification sent to me. Now I have to wait another 4 business days for my refund to process.

By the way, all these agents are offshore in the Middle East and will not transfer you to an onshore agent. I don't understand why 4 different people, all working at the same center can all give me different answers. I spent almost 2 hrs on the phone to resolve their mistake! The manager stated they all have access to the same information. I don't understand why it took this much effort to get a clear answer. This is what happens when the customer service is so far removed from the company, a degraded experience where the customer always suffers.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I have been submitting detailed receipts to these idiots and they keep denying them. I send them detailed receipts and they get denied; their website does not even give you an explanation as why the receipt was denied. You have to call them over the phone, which I guess is overseas for an explanation. You can't email them with information, I have to keep stepping out of my office to deal with this problem over the phone. I now have to ask H.R. to intervene on my behalf. I was told today on top of sending them detailed receipts that I need to send an explanation of benefits for these little receipts that total less than $800.00.

If they want an explanation of benefits, why don't they call and get this information, why do I have to call my insurance company for this information. They have my card frozen for over a month, and I cannot pay my other bills, mind you with my after tax money that I set aside for this lousy plan. I will not be signing up to use them next year. I'll just pay out of pocket and be done with the expense.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

Their lack of customer service is horrific - how can a business like this stay in business? Blows my mind how awful they are. Do you even understand what their value proposition is? I have submitted my claim 4 times - with a receipt, and a 10 page treatment plan. They keep on denying it. I ask why - they told me they didn't even look at the treatment plan that outlines everything that they could possibly know. Pathetic.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I was contacted via letter by WageWorks about a medical charge I needed a receipt for. The medical service happened months prior to getting the letter. I went to my doctor’s office and finally was able to get a receipt for the date of service questioned by WageWorks. I faxed it to WW but I was contacted later and was told they could not use the receipt because it was too old. I explained that this is what the doctor provided and the service charges were legitimate. I was told that I needed to either provide another receipt or pay the money by check but in the meantime my WW card would be suspended until this issue is resolved. I have never had such poor customer service. I can only provide what the doctor’s office gave me and why should I write a check to have my card lifted. Mind you this was all for a $4.59 charge by my doctor’s office. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. EXTREMELY POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

Wageworks administers the COBRA plan we have been on for 8 months. We make our payments on time and we keep temporarily losing coverage. If we have a bill before this is corrected, we end up spending hours on the phone with an overseas service center. They deny and don't understand the issue and then eventually correct it and apologize.

Also, their online payment system is terrible. No facility to make automated payments and evidently, it can take up to 72 hours to post so if you pay before the deadline but less than 3 days before, it can in the grace period and therefore cause temporary cancellation. This last call, they paid our health coverage carrier but not our prescription coverage carrier and denied we even had them. After 45 minutes, mostly on hold, they apologized and said we did have coverage and they fixed the problem.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Don't use! Have to prove to them you met the high deductible before you can use your money. But even my insurance company has talked to them and we have submitted what they want a EOB stating that I have met the deductible and still they deny me. Will never use them again. They are shady.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

This company is a parasite on the face of the world, serving only themselves and profiting off of delaying health care to people. The evil geniuses at WageWorks act as middleman taking your money and supposedly paying insurance companies to handle the transition to COBRA. But actually, they don't do that. They had my money for over four weeks before they actually told the insurer to cover my family. I made dozens of calls and spent many minutes on hold each time, but could not speed up the process. This is all after they cashed my checks and had my money in their grubby paws. They said it could take 30-60 days to re-activate my insurance. Meanwhile, the doctors and pharmacies billed me and made me pay out of pocket.

This company is a scam. They probably invest the money for weeks before bothering to use it for its intended payment. It's a great money-making scheme that should be illegal, and their employees should know that they are working for a sham operation that victimizes consumers at a difficult time, without benefiting anyone. Useless.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I have called several times about my pin # on my Commuter Card. The Pin issued to me at activation is invalid and would not allow me to use at ANY merchant. The first time I called they said they'd email me within 48 hours to issue me a new pin number. A week and a half later, no call, no email, no communication whatsoever. I call AGAIN and they treated my issue as if it were the first time I'd called. I told them it was ridiculous of me having to wait another so called 48 hours to alleviate my issue and was assured that it was placed as a Critical Priority. Guess what... 3 days later, no call, no email, no communication. This has been a complete waste of my time and now my funds are just sitting in my account that I can not use. Never ever use this company for any of your Employer Commuter needs!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Wage Works and the FSA is the worst company/ account/ IRS process. The time spent managing and dealing with the submission/denial/re-submission/denial/re-submission/gathering additional documents/submission/denial/gathering more additional documents from the physician and or pharmacy/submission is a nightmare, to put it lightly. Your time is better spent working an additional hour or two each month at the office to offset the funds you’d save with this account. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY OR ACCOUNT!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

This company canceled our insurance coverage because they said they never received our last two premium checks EVEN THOUGH I SENT THEM COPIES OF MY CHECKS WHICH THEY CASHED!! I called several times, was always put on hold (one time for 40 minutes) and their error continues not to be resolved. Do not do business with this company!!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

My employer was switching HR departments, I called twice to find out if this would affect my FSA, I was assured both times it would not, and I had until September 30th to use it. Today is September 14th, I had oral surgery, went to pay, my 1,515.00 is not available! They told me I had to have used it by August 18th, this is **. Someone at this company is going to pay for this! Stupid people... This company should be shut down.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

WageWorks is a complete scam. It is a means to take your money under the guise of a commuter tax-free option. What they fail to tell you is that unless you monitor your payments and claims constantly you will almost certainly fall victim of their scheme. I have been putting in $ weekly for commuting on transit. What they fail to tell you is that unless you use the funds each month in entirety they will keep the remaining funds. Don't believe their line "the funds rollover", maybe but you won't be able to actually access it.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Horrible customer service, not clear when explaining benefit, multiple missed dates of submission of paperwork that cost my family money. Took our payment and NEVER notified Caremark or Cigna we paid. (I am writing this over 27 days after payment was made.) The customer service rep would not admit to guilt.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

We work for a government agency and have to go with whatever company the low bidder of the day is. This year, it's WageWorks. That being said, we have experience with many other companies. This is by far the worst! I really feel they are doing anything they can to falsely deny claims so they can keep our money! Even though I provide them receipts with the doctor's name and date, and even a statement of who was seen, they are still denying! It's for orthodontia, so I don't even get those explanation of benefits anymore as the insurance company is DONE paying the claims, the rest is on me.

Orthodontia is a covered service. They do the same with doctor visit copays! Even though they have the receipt! I resubmitted with ALL of the BS information they wanted, and they still denied. I don't feel they should be able to have access to the actual service (what exactly the doctor appointment or dentist visit was) as this is a violation of HIPAA laws. It's none of their business what kind of service was provided, just that I was seen in a professional office for medical purposes is all they need to know! I'm contacting an attorney about this.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

No one in customer service speaks English! They never accept receipts and tell us there's not enough details. They suspend your card and then your money is locked in limbo. Do yourself a favor and don't bother getting this service! Nothing but a scam.

WageWorks Company Information