1.02/5
Based on 140 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

San Mateo, CA

346 WageWorks Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 15, 2018

I can only deduce that this HORRIBLE company's goal is to get COBRA users to default on their payments and thus let the employer company OFF THE HOOK! This, of course, would be illegal. Yeah, that's what I'm saying they are engaged in, ILLEGAL CANCELLATION OF COBRA. I've had the misfortune of having my COBRA administered by this company three times. I've tried paying through my online banking 10 days before the due date. I was cancelled twice because it took their accounts receivable department 10 days to process my payments! I've now resorted to paying by phone and paying for two months at a time ($2200.00) which is quite hard to afford. It worked for two payments and now I cannot get through their phone tree to make the payment? After a couple of hours of "phone play" with this idiotic company I was informed I HAD TO PAY ONLINE.

So I comply and almost three weeks later I get a letter (NOT AN EMAIL) that THEIR bank couldn't process my check! WTF? The letter gave me no mitigating information EXCEPT TO CALL WAGEWORKS! Now I have one week to make good on my premiums or I will have my health insurance CANCELLED!!! Accidents... I THINK NOT. They have many reasons to get you to drop out of COBRA. If I had to guess, they get a huge bonus if you drop out. I know their business is "COBRA administration" but I really think they are in cahoots with employers that want OLD EMPLOYEES off their premium health plans and forced onto substandard ACA insurance coverage!

Original review: July 13, 2018

My former employer was contracted with a company called, "Delta", to manage employee benefits. They were always very knowledgeable and helpful. This past year, the wonderful service and assistance provided by Delta was replaced by WageWorks. I have had many issues with WageWorks around my health plan benefits and then COBRA, after being laid off from my employer. WageWorks is clearly an offshore, third party that doesn't even understand the benefits plan or how any of the plan works. I have spent hours and hours... nearly in tears... so worried about getting medication paid for, worried about my health plan being effective, worried about the large amount of money I am paying for COBRA being appropriately accounted for. It has been scary and upsetting.

Finally, after getting a new job with benefits, I was able to cancel the COBRA I had when discontinuing the benefits from my former employer who had contracted with WageWorks. My new plan was effective June 1. I had already paid for COBRA for June 2018 as I was so worried there would be mishandling of the paperwork and I'd not be covered. I have monthly health care needs and cannot afford to have a break in coverage. Mind you, this is issue ten or so of my problems I've had with WageWorks. This is just my final issue (hopefully). They are NOT refunding me the money I had paid for June COBRA despite that I am covered under my new employer. They have NO answers (unless you count the crazy answer they gave me about their client (my former employer) may not have funds available for WageWorks to refund me.) HUH?

They try to get away with repeating the same non-answers, "We are going to talk to our finance department to see why your refund hasn't been processed." Key thing to note here is that WageWorks states they are looking at my account history (something I can no longer do since I am no longer paying for COBRA) but they cannot tell me anything about what has happened with my account. I am so frustrated, after months of dealing with this awful company, I finally looked at reviews and saw "Top 343 complaints about WageWorks". At least I got a laugh. I read many of the complaints and they are aligned with the type of service and help I have gotten.

The worse part of this is, as employees, we don't have a choice who our employer contracts with to manage our benefits. Therefore, our only recourse is to write reviews and hope employers are aware just how bad this scam artist organization really is. I beg of all companies... DO NOT USE WAGEWORKS!!! It's money down the drain. Your employees will be left upset, in tears, unable to access their benefits or their FSA accounts. This company is awful. I was unemployed, paying so much money for COBRA and I still had to pay for my medications out of pocket because WageWorks hadn't processed my COBRA properly. I can't believe that this organization gets away with this type of stuff. I would imagine benefit management is highly regulated. I know this review is just a long rant and one of hundreds. But... I'd rather be a drop in the bucket of the truth about WageWorks, than not say anything at all.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 12, 2018

This Customer support team should be fired and replace them with more competent team. My experience with this team was awful and unprofessional. The company should do something with that if they want to be in business. Every time I call to solve my FSA validation, I get a different response and some BS arguments. The last time talking to someone Paul, he didn't know on how to help on the FSA validation and had me on hold for 20 minutes so he can learn or train himself on what BS answer to give me. When I was persistent to figure out why I can't straight answer and resolve my problem, he hung up on me. So much for the recording that you hear in the beginning that they are recording for quality purpose. Are they serious?

I think they use my money for their salaries and I expect a professional response and resolution of my issues. Based on that they should take care any issues with the providers NOT ME. The only thing that I need to do is to swipe the card at for approved medical services and medicines. THEY HAVE TO CONTACT THE PROVIDERS AND ASK DETAILS NOT ME. THAT'S WHY I PAY THEM. If I knew the rating that the WageWorks had in this site, I would never used them. Next time I will make sure that I will not use this company for my flex account. I spend more time, money and frustration of using this company than the savings would benefit from a flex account. Now I understand the brand name when they use "WageWorks Everyone Benefits", the benefits is not for everyone but only for WageWorks.

Original review: July 12, 2018

I have been attempting to get reimbursed from my dependent childcare account since May 19. I have called 18 times, and the HR department from my employer has called 5 times. I have submitted proper documentation and the money is in my account, yet I never receive reimbursements funds. I keep being told there is an internal inquiry each time I call and never make any progress. I have asked to speak to supervisors who tell me they cannot share an employer number or last name.

Several times I have been told there is a problem on my employer’s end related to us leaving the company January 1, 2017 and returning January 1, 2018. Each time my employer has called and is told everything looks great. I have asked to speak to someone who can help me and am told I cannot. I expect immediate disbursements of these funds, exceeding $1500 for the year already. I have been dealing with dependent childcare reimbursements for 12 years and it has always been positive. This is horrible, and I need it resolved immediately.

Original review: July 11, 2018

My card is being restricted for use due to receipts not received. Why are they paying receipts if they don't have them. I've sent copies and my card is still hijacked. Paying out of pocket while I have money in my account. Automated system is as useless as the "human" once you're finally able to get one. They have no answers to the questions even though they can verify receipts have been sent again and again. Pretty typical of a government program. Take your money and won't use it as intended and hire customer service reps from another country that can barely speak English. Guess I'll be ripped off as this money is lost if not used.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about WageWorks?

Original review: July 10, 2018

I have had many insurance plans and FSA's to go with them. I previously had WageWorks and was always surprised at how they required receipts for far more things than other plan managers. I am once again back on a WW FSA and they are requiring a receipt for nearly every transaction including those most basic $15.00 copays to a doctor where it's very clearly an allowable expense. Not only that, they require a full EOB to be printed out and submitted! Are you kidding me? It's a COPAY. I'm sure they must run actuarial tables that show they pay out less with the more painful administrative requests that they can make before paying the claim. This place is just dirty.

Original review: July 2, 2018

I have a dependent care and flexible spending account given through my employer that elects to take a certain amount from my pay each month to pay for medical and dependent care (day care) expenses. For the last month I have submitted claims for payment directly to my childcare provider... And they have rejected each one because they didn't like the format of the invoice. Now my childcare is in jeopardy of not accepting my child because they did not receive the payment. I called again, after submitting another invoice, and was told they have to wait for a computer to write checks... And they have no human that can handle requests or problems. This company says they are in Kentucky but each service representative has a thick accent and fails to understand the issues or have the ability to actually problem solve. This is an issue as I need child care to be able to go to work. Customer service fail.

Original review: June 29, 2018

After a series of infuriating calls with WageWorks, and their denial of my every claim, I believe this company is in the business of intentionally keeping hard-working consumers from their money. Do they get some sort of kickback for every dollar not paid? The debit card we received from them is worthless. It has been denied four times at four different medical offices. The expenses in question were all “deductible expenses.” Each time I was told that my account had a balance of $0, even though the WageWorks website said my account balance was several thousand and I had filed no other claims. I called after the first and second tries with the card and both times the entirely disinterested representative said it was a fluke and they would fix the problem. They didn’t. It still doesn’t work.

Next, I filed an email claim. Rejected — account balance $0. I called. “We will reprocess it.” Again, rejected. Account balance $0. “File a paper claim and attach your healthcare EOB.” I did, being careful to follow the instructions to the letter. Rejected. I called. “The claim was for a prescription” (which isn’t reimbursable). Not only was the claim not for a prescription, the word “prescription” is not anywhere on the 10-page EOB I sent. I then spoke with a supervisor (who refused to provide me with his last name and number). He said, “Oh. OK. We’ll reprocess it.” Sure you will.

I intend to strongly urge the Human Resources Director to drop WageWorks and encourage others to do the same. There are a staggering number of consumer complaints against them, not to mention the class action lawsuits by shareholders. This is one of the worst experiences I have ever had with a health-care or health-care related company.

Original review: June 28, 2018

Overseas calling center when calling US number, and will not transfer to the domestic US. Would not transfer to manager. Kept putting me on hold...over an hour and cut off twice. I looked for other numbers to voice complaint and you cannot reach them by phone. They have an address you can write to...that’s it. They emailed then shut off card and access to MY money. The whole FSA set up is such a waste of resources further driving up health care costs. Wage Works responsiveness to customer need has brought us to a new low. I will be sure to NOT invest in this company nor ever use them. This is truly a pitiful company only interested in their own profit. Service is so sub par that there is no possible ranking.

Original review: June 27, 2018

Never received card, still charged $363. WageWorks misaddressed my envelope three months in a row (with a call from me each time asking them to fix it), and at the end they say they are unable to reimburse you for the amount you spent with them, only for other transportation expenses. Basically if you don't get your card in the mail, you are out of luck, and they are sending hundreds of dollars every month through uncertified general mail with all the risk on the end use.

Original review: June 26, 2018

I have had nothing but trouble and inconvenience using WageWorks. The service is absolutely pointless as there is zero convenience to the spending account, or reimbursement. In addition, the customer service reps are not helpful or supportive. Overall I would give WageWorks a NEGATIVE ZERO! I am discontinuing my service with them immediately and plan never to utilize them again!

Original review: June 21, 2018

In the past 3 months I have been trying to get my money reimbursed from Wageworks. I had been missing a signature and continue to get the runaround with their customer service team. They do not provide any additional assistance outside of the customer service number you have to search for. This company has some serious issues and should be looked at for theft of people's money.

I was told my money would be returned and to which it was never returned. My customer service person even admitted she had what she needed. When looking to call someone at the company, outside of customer service that appears to be an issue. Now I am being told if I want my money back I have to print off all the documents and send them in via mail or fax. All of my documents are uploaded to their website. Regarding their call center, you can barely understand them. Terrible experience!

Original review: June 21, 2018

This was my first experience with an FSA, because of WageWorks. I won't bother doing it again. I'd submit a claim and provide receipts as required; however not all medical providers give you itemized receipts, and in some cases, even if they do WageWorks denies the claim. They are extremely unhelpful and the customer service reps are unwillingly to help resolve an issue, even when the itemized information is available to them. FSA's are supposed to make life a little easier but WageWorks doesn't.

Original review: June 21, 2018

I had over $700 on my WageWorks card which I tried to get refunded and got absolutely nowhere. I commuted to work 2 days a week and the remaining 3 days I worked from home. A couple of weeks ago I started telecommuting full time and no longer needed to commute to the office. I requested a refund and was told they could only refund one week. The representative barely spoke English and I could hardly understand a word he said. I told him the problem and he emailed me Special Handling Form. I faxed the form and was told I was denied because I needed to make a copy of my MetroCard and the form. I faxed both and was still denied. This is the worst company and the website is a joke! There is no recourse for users! I am thinking of taking them to small claims court.

Original review: June 18, 2018

My company uses WageWorks for both before-tax commuter benefits programs as well as FSA card reimbursements. Every time I have to interact with WageWorks on any level, for either program, it is a nightmare. Their automated online systems are terrible to work with, and the customer service representatives on the phone are even worse. I called 3 different times to get a simple copay reimbursement, and even had them talk directly to my service provider to get what they needed in order to reimburse me, and I never got it resolved. They were very unhelpful, unkind, and just terrible to work with. I will do anything I can in the future to never work with this company again.

Original review: June 13, 2018

WageWorks "customer service" has to be THE WORST in the industry. The offshore reps are completely uninformed, barely speak English, and are therefore, completely USELESS. This WILL be the last year I use an FSA because my company uses WW. I have to spend an inordinate amount of time on ANY call with them and GOD help you if your card gets suspended. Last year it took me THREE MONTHS to get it UNsuspended because the idiot "customer service" reps CAN'T COMMUNICATE or think for themselves. I hope WW goes AWAY and my company finds a different provider - WW SUCKS.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I had to contact WageWorks more than four times for the same issue. I have a monthly pass through WageWorks and for this month, they put a 2019 pass on my card instead of 2018. I had to call to order a new pass and they made me pay a replacement fee even though I did not lose or damage the card. I asked for the fee to be refunded, and they kept putting me on hold and then saying they'd make a new inquiry and hear back in 7-10 days. I never heard back and each time I would call it would turn out that the reps NEVER submitted a refund request.

On my fourth call I asked to speak to a manager who was extremely unprofessional and then tried and BLAME ME again for damaging my card even though it was WageWorks' fault for giving me the wrong pass! WageWorks finally agreed to refund the replacement fee in... 7-10 days. The fact that WageWorks customer support lies to their customers and tries to blame them at first is shocking. If you ever have a problem with WageWorks and you need to call, don't let the support agent "launch an inquiry". You will never hear back. Escalate your issue immediately and ALWAYS get your reference number.

Original review: June 13, 2018

October of 2017 I began a 6 month chemo course. In January I was asked to pay my $1200 deductible for 2018 (this is usual). The remaining bill would far out-cede my annual out-of-pocket. The card "swiped" just fine. Then, it was denied. The total for THAT PARTICULAR DAY didn't total $1200! So I'm apparently just out of luck. The fact that I was paying toward a TOTAL COURSE OF TREATMENT is immaterial to these people. THEY WILL NOT LISTEN TO ANY EXPLANATIONS. At one point I broke down on the phone.

What grown woman allows herself to get pushed to that point? We are sitting with an untouchable card balance of $1300 and a stack of bills that WageWorks will not pay. My doctor has tried everything to communicate and satisfy them. I don't know how to fix this. The weird thing is, I KNOW that this was paid and approved this in 2016. What changed? I don't know where to get help. WageWorks management is certainly not the answer. This is the last year we are participating.

Original review: June 9, 2018

They charge administration fees... but just charging so far 50% of account is gone but no replacement to use card! Been waiting 2 months and nothing! Looking to massively sue this "legal thefts" of corporate governance frauds! Why is an expiration in parked money my money! IT SHOULD HAD BEEN SENT IN PRIORITY MAIL OVERNIGHT TO ACCOMMODATE THE INCONVENIENCE... at least the administration is not existent apparently but for their pockets!

Original review: May 29, 2018

WageWorks should be a benefit but they refuse to help or assist people when they need it the most. I get this service through my job and I accidentally throw my Metro Card out and they refuse to give me a refund and/or a replacement card. I even told them to charge me in the event the old metro card got used which I knew it wouldn’t. Now WageWorks expect me to take a loss of $63 and obviously they don’t care. If you are providing Metro Card as a product, you should have a way to track the cards you are issuing. I am canceling all my programs I have with this company.

Original review: May 25, 2018

This company is the absolute worst, not only do they get my coverage terminated by sending wrong information to medical coverage company, they then will not fix the matter and I am left dealing with no coverage and all the hassles that go along with that as well. I cannot get help, I cannot get prescriptions nothing. I have called them so many times in 10 days and they always appear to be helping, but nothing ever gets remedied. Then when you want to speak to supervisors they don't help you. This place is beyond ridiculous and something needs to be done about them, this is our health insurance we are talking about!!!

Original review: May 22, 2018

This company is very inconsistent with the acceptance of receipts. I have sent multiple receipts different ways and all the sudden I am starting to have problems. I had to call about one of my receipts and the lady on the phone would not explain what I needed. She kept telling me that I needed to read the rule book or pamphlet (forgot the exact words she told me) to understand what I needed to do. Not ok. I had to do all this extra work. Call this company and calling my dentist for this receipt and a few other places to figure out what the problems were. As a customer I should not have to waste my time like that trying to figure out what is needed when they are suppose to be the experts at this.

Original review: May 13, 2018

I submitted a claim for $700, the remaining funds in my Flexible Spending account which was denied. I was told it was because the letter had to be postmarked by March 31st however, I did take it to the Post Office on the 31st where there was an 11:30 pm pick up noted on the box. WageWorks told me they received the request on April 10th however, can not produce the postmark. Their customer service requested I write a letter asking for a "review" which I did and it was denied, indicating the claim wasn't postmarked by March 31st. Again, they are not able to produce the postmark for me as I have been requesting. This is horrible customer service! They are keeping my $700 and I want it back! If considering a Flexible Spending Company - don't consider WageWorks. Horrible people.

Original review: May 8, 2018

On the chat with customer service for over half an hour... long story short, my receipt shows three items: charge total, cash discount and my final payment. They can only approve the cash discount I received! Dude, that was the money I did not pay!

Original review: May 3, 2018

This company is completely unprofessional. I require a letter from the COBRA administrator (WageWorks) indicating that the coverage is expiring and when. It has to be dated within 90 days of the qualifying event in order to qualify for enrollment in a new medical plan. I had a letter but not within the 90 day range. I requested a new letter and was told by WageWorks they would not issue the letter until after my payment posts to my account. The check is in the mail. My payment record is clean. They say "it isn't personal", but I personally am the only one who will get hurt if the medical coverage lapses because I don't receive the letter in time.

I talked to two different supervisors. Of course each time it takes going through the gauntlet of call screeners and information gatherers to get that deep into their customer "service" organization. The second time through I asked for a direct phone number and was told they don't have direct numbers. That supervisor told me the decision was made by the account manager. I asked to talk with that person and was told "they don't have a phone". So that is the dead end... You can talk to a different supervisor each time after passing through the gauntlet but they don't make the decisions and you can't talk to the people who do make the decisions. I guess I'll eventually get the letter. I'm hoping for the best.

Original review: April 23, 2018

WageWorks is a payment processor for medical savings accounts. They continually reject valid medical claims. I sent receipts 3 times for the same dental bill. WageWorks refuses to accept this receipt for a valid dental bill. Now they have closed my account when there is over $1,000.00 cash in it. This is the worst customer service ever. This company talks employers into using them then WageWorks denies all claims hiding behind, "IRS Rules." This company now has 1,000.00 of my money. This company must be very profitable. They take money then, "deny until they die." Do NOT get involved with this company!

Original review: April 19, 2018

When my husband changed job we had to go on COBRA for 3 months before the new insurance kicks in. Started off us having to call several times to find out the prices and where to send the money etc. They claim it was the employer's responsibility and the employer said it was theirs. During this time we had NO insurance whatsoever. Both my husband and myself are on long term med. I am diabetic with high blood pressure so it was very important that we keep our coverage going without stop. When we finally got the information we paid online immediately. We still had to wait almost 10 days before the insurance kicks back in.

Unfortunately only the medical insurance kicked back in. My prescription via Express Script and my vision never got reinstated even though I had paid all the premium. Many frustrating calls to them and Express Script, they each blame the other party for not doing the right thing. To the end I don't really know who did or did not do what they are supposed to but regardless, my experience calling their cobra customer service was most awful. Having to pay over a thousand dollar for insurance that we were not getting I expect some empathy but not these people, it was the opposite, they were ALL very short with me and didn't want to listen and refuse to call Express Script for me to try to straighten it out. They kept telling me to call Express script myself but Express Script said they never faxed the form needed. Basically all my calls were falling in unconcerning ears!

After several calls of getting nowhere, I asked for supervisor, he was just as unconcerned and rude and gave no assistance. After many frustrating calls they finally opened a "case" for me and it still took many calls and the supervisor even refuse to take my calls. I was frustrated but I never cussed at them or anything. I worked at retail for over 20 years and I have had to deal with many irate customers and I had NEVER refused to talk to one because it was my job. To sum up my experience with them, I paid 3 months' premium and got only one month's coverage because of their incompetence and or lack of care. I was so lost and had no one to turn to. The thing to remember is, these people are dealing with people's health and with no medication or medical care it could be very serious but they do not care. They are in the wrong business.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I have used WageWorks and ADP over the course of 5 years. Both have similar technology platforms and policies. Both make life miserable for consumers trying to get their reimbursements for healthcare, dependent care, and transportation reimbursement. The best case is when one is able to use their WageWorks or ADP branded debit cards, but many providers do not take the WageWorks or ADP debit cards, making it necessary to send in physical receipts. If a claim is denied, all clients do not have to be notified of the denial via email or letter but must take the initiative to track the approval process online themselves.

If one does become aware of a denied claim and calls to follow up on the claim, the call centers are staffed by people who do not have the authority to fix the problem, they can only document the conversation and escalate the issue. Even more so than insurance companies, FSAs as businesses are set up to make money by denying or making it very hard for consumers to claim their own hard earned money. The system is a disgrace.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I contribute every pay period and last time I wanted use the credit I have, they say that the dental service I received was for the previous calendar year, however I had more credit so I don’t know what’s the difference and why it’s matter. I’m not gonna stay in pain for 2 months to make sure my new calendar year is on to use my money in the account. They are pure thieves robbing you every day. Stay away from them. And their staff is BS.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I recently retired from the Dept. of Ed. I am unable to get reimbursement for the $1,100 or so in my account. That is almost a full paycheck. I sent receipts by certified mail with the "special handling" sheets attached, but they claimed they never got them. Guess what, I got back the green signed certificate saying they received it. I then tried e-mailing and faxing them (with my son's help). Each time, they sent me a form letter E-mail, stating that the "special handling" letter is illegible. I have scans and confirmations from Metrofax, the letter was indeed legible, and it did go through. It's clear to me now that WageWorks has some sort of sweetheart deal with the city. All employees at the board of ed. were offered WageWorks commuter cards. Had I known their reputation, I would NEVER have gotten involved.

WageWorks Company Information