1.01/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

WageWorks

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 12, 2017

223 WageWorks Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I called to find out how to file a claim. "Alvin" told me this: "We are not taking online claims, you have to mail it." After several minutes, could not tell me the address. I asked where I could find a claim form, he said online. I said I'm online on your website and I don't see a form. He said, "We are updating our systems." OK so where is the claim form? "Online". So they take your money, no problem but there is NO WAY to file a claim and get reimbursed for health charges. This should be illegal.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

When I initially signed up for COBRA, they said that they never received my paperwork. I mailed the paperwork and my payments for September and October at the same time. They go to two different addresses. They got the payment and cashed the check without a problem, however they never informed me that they did not receive my paperwork and my coverage was canceled. I only became suspicious two months later when I never received my payment coupons. I then had to go through the process of appealing the cancellation. That took from November to February the following year to resolve. After several phone calls and having to get BC/BS involved I finally had insurance. All along I am paying for the health insurance and not being able to use it because WageWorks did not inform BC/BS that my insurance was reinstated. I believe my paperwork got lost on somebody's desk. I hope I never have to deal with that company again.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

KISS YOUR FSA MONEY GOODBYE with WageWorks! This Company needs to be shut down and employees jailed for illegal misuse of consumer's healthcare money. A class action CRIMINAL lawsuit cannot happen fast enough!! Yes your FSA is suppose to be YOUR money and YES it is set aside for serious health expenses such as CANCER & DIABETES, but this company, that is located overseas, rejects claims and illegally freezes access to your account without reason! When you call to question be prepared to be connected to an underage 12 Year Old Child with poor language skills, who if you are lucky enough to understand, will yes you to death & tell you they are working on it... and then never call you back!

In a nutshell, during a transfer, by my employer, from a current FSA Benny Card to a New Wageworks Card all 2016 FSA money has been held frozen for 5 months despite being told that any money under $500 would transfer over. Numerous employees at my company have also lost their FSA Money and HR has been unable to resolve with WageWorks. A manager in the overseas office at Wageworks said they didn't have a column on their spreadsheet to add the rollover money!!! After 5 months of multiple phone calls, It has been impossible to effectively get a resolution!!! Because this money is specifically for health expenses it should be a CRIMINAL OFFENSE to mishandle Healthcare money in this illegal manner!!! Stay clear of WageWorks!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

Horrible website. The most poorly designed (using the word design is a stretch) you will ever encounter. Written using language and organization foreign to normal people. Perhaps it makes sense from their internal company structure and culture but it is unbelievable confusing and unclear how to use it for any of the critical and basic functions it supports such as setting up and making payments and getting information. It looks to have been designed by software engineers to work for their perspective.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

Worst company ever - DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM. Do not pay bills, lie, and give you the runaround on every bill. They want to hang on to YOUR money as long as they can. Their executives should be in Jail. If there are others out there that feel the same way - let's file a class action lawsuit.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about WageWorks?

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

I don't think I have to write anything more about the absolute worst experience that people get in dealing with the incompetent customer service agents (supervisors included) from this company whose only training seems to parroting the line "we apologize for the inconvenience" but not do anything to fix the issue. I used to have a Commuters Card account which has about $165 balance.

Back in April 2017 I tweeted them if there is a way they can give me Transitcheks for the said funds as my transit service provider doesn't accept card. The agent not understanding what I want switched me to a transit account - I have no idea what that is! Come June I discover my commuter card is not working when I swiped it at a vending machine, I called them to learn that I was switched to this transit pass plan. And ever since then I have been asking them to change it back to the card plan and the incompetent agents have been telling me different stories each time. Finally one supervisor told me that the pass- card switch can only be made by account holder himself online and I made the change in July (confirmed by email). It is September now but the change hasn't been effected as in the meantime I have separated from the employer. So now their story is since I am separated they can't change the plan. So essential forget about your funds.

Their business model is to misguide then steal people's monies and hundreds of people have already learnt it the hard way. As someone rightly pointed out how does the government allow them to do business? How can these guys be booked for their business conduct? I think we should all file a joint complaint against them to NYC Consumer Affairs and IRS and any other govt. agency that can look into their shady practices.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I have had many different FSA/HSA cards in the past and this one is by far the worst. They turned my FSA card off without any notice. They told me that they tried to email me for 90 days and I did not respond. Well you have my phone number and home address, don't you think that if you having being trying for 90 days with no response that maybe it's not going through. Send a letter via mail or pick up the phone and call. Nope no such thing! Now my card will be permanently off on Sept. 30th and I still have $300 to use of "MY" hard earned money for medical expense which I have right now to pay... and I can't because they have no way to speed up the process.

I sent them the receipts straight to their website and they denied the urgent care copay and said it will take them 2-3 business day for each receipt and then once and if they're approved then it will take another 24-48 hrs to turn the card back on. Weird that they just shut it off and it expires on Sept. 30th and their process is so lengthy. Seems like a real scam to me. They want to make sure the last $300 in my account will not be used so to make a profit. Just sickening.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

I called them when I didn't receive my commuter card for the month, they told me to just buy daily passes and wait to post to deliver my monthly card. I didn't receive it for the full month, I kept calling them and they said they will just reimburse me for out of pocket expense. At the end of month I filed for reimbursement and worst service they have. No one knows the rights to question. I have called them at least 20 times to get my one month reimbursement and in top I have to fill around 5 forms because they keep sending me wrong one. Just one of the worst customer service experience I ever had.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

I am SHOCKED and disturbed that NYC does business with this organization. I am a retired NYC social worker. I had over $200 left on my WageWorks commuter card and WageWorks STOLE the money from me. THIS IS MONEY THAT WAS OUT OF MY POCKET on this card. They state that their policy is that if you don't use it in 6 months it's somehow THEIR money. HMMMM, I've never heard of anything like this. It's outrageous that this organization would steal from a city employee who made very little and devoted most of career to helping the city. What in the world is NYC doing working with an organization who thinks this is ok? NOTE TO WAGEWORKS MANAGEMENT - This money is MY money which was taken out of my paychecks. There is NO reason ever that you are entitled to this money. DISGUSTING.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

WageWorks is a very poorly designed, poorly supported service that complicates matters more than it should. It achieves the opposite of transparency and ease of use. I am using it for commuter savings+parking programs only but it is extremely cumbersome to use. I have seen at other employment's much cleaner/clearer/intuitive services/interfaces/website that worked well and were easy to understand and maintain... not so much here. If I had a choice I would never choose this service for my employees. Hoping at some point HR departments will pay attention to generally poor ratings as well.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

These guys are too aggressive and suspended my FSA card for not receiving $8.17 payment receipt for an often used blood test clinic! So embarrassing. Went to pick-up medicine at CVS and they said some issue for clearance, faxed receipts, etc. Took 48 hours to unfreeze card, it still did not work next day. The site claims wait for 24-48 hours to proceed. I had to waste at least 30 minutes to chase and get the copy of the receipt (finally got it). Who keeps the receipts for over 3 months? This is not 1940's... pathetic company! Can't a class action suit be started against this fraud organization or sue them for harassment? Any suggestions?

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

They audit almost every transaction that I use this account for. This requires calling the billing offices for every doctor, dentist, lab, etc. to get additional documentation to fax to these idiots. I could understand auditing a charge at Amazon or eBay but every time I go to the doctor or have lab work done...I'm fed up with their BS and will not renew it for next year. The little bit of savings is not worth the frustration.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

Had WageWorks for 4 years now. The employees don't understand their own system. The only way to benefit from Wage Works is to figure out their system and explain it to the employees step by step. I think Wage Works is the number one worst company I have ever dealt with in my entire life. Every problem is a futile exercise in frustration and incompetence. Orders on the 10th, deposits on the 15th. Most of the employees don't know that, or they reverse it.

It's basically to the point where I'd recommend anyone just pay the extra money as these people aren't worth your time. Every. Single. Call. is a black hole of misery and incompetence. Plus, they don't have any records of what was said in the past so guess what happens if your order is mixed up and you call in a second time? They have no record of what was said before. Spend a little extra money and save yourself the life-shortening stress of interacting with these terrible people.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

In my work experience, my claims have been processed by five benefits administrators. While some were slow, none have shown more blatant disregard of customer claims and stalled off payment longer than WageWorks. The WageWorks crooks do this purposefully to increase their profits. They exploit their customers using a policy of checking each charge for a reason to freeze use of their Bancorp Bank issued VISA. While they keep the customer away from his or her money, WageWorks can earn dividends by investing that money as if it were their own. This should be larceny and the WageWorks thieves should be in jail. Anyone can do a simple search on "WageWorks complaint" and find a thousand reasons to run instead of walk away from these scammers. The claims in each story are similar.

The victim enters an agreement with his employer to have pre-tax earnings withheld to pay healthcare expenses using a Bancorp Bank issued VISA card. At some point WageWorks freezes use of the card, forcing the victim to file paper forms which can be claimed are lost. In my own experience, the Bancorp Bank issued VISA charge card was deactivated by WageWork thieves just two months following initial activation, which was six months ago. They have virtually stolen my $600.00 over an "unexplained" $9.70 charge for which the receipt has been uploaded to them over their site four times. Do the math. If the swindlers at WageWorks can freeze $500.00 in funds from each of only 200,000 victims for four months and invest the money at one percent per month, that could net $12 Million annually. Who believes that this is NOT a prime motivator for felons at WageWorks to stall off paying claims?

Original review: July 25, 2017

Before my retirement date, I was told (by WageWorks Customer Service) to wait until the following month to submit for parking reimbursement (the money shows available in my Wageworks account) but they now say they won't reimburse to anyone no longer employed. How much money do they keep that doesn't belong to them? I have now been told that they just keep the money and there's nothing I can do. This company is either very poorly run or a scam.

Original review: July 25, 2017

WageWorks is a joke! Starting in 2016, they have requested several times for proof of transactions for medical services. I provided requested info. Then, when I received the request for proof again maybe one or two were removed from list. They accept one, not the others? I've been keeping fax confirmations, each letter for proof of transactions along with proof of payment. The same ones I've been submitting started November 2016 and here it's the end of July 2017 and still can't get anywhere. I highly discourage anyone from using Wage Works!!

My husband cancelled out our account with them due to all the BS and poor miscommunication on their part. To go through health issues and having to deal with all this is insane. We've had a HSA before and it wasn't' WAGE WORKS. The previous HSA company was a gem with great customer service. They handled our money like it was their own. Wage Works is a JOKE. Terrible!! I've begged them in my cover letter to pick up the phone and call me to get this resolved and has fallen to deaf eyes and ears. So, today I've sent another fax with requested info, updated cover letter and filing this online with same attached proof. Now, let's see what happens.

Original review: July 19, 2017

I retired in May of 2017, closed my Metro-North account. I have a refund due. Metro North sent Wage works: (my train account) 06/30/2017 Refund 06/2017 $479.72 ($479.72). 06/29/2017 Wage Funds 06/2017 $479.72. I have called many times and they will not refund my money. They say they are checking it… Metro North has done their part WageWorks has not. It's now 7-19-2017. Just spoke to Christopher and still no money... I guess they just keep it. I was told July 5, they will process. They lie, lie, lie... WageWorks, Metro North is fine…

Original review: July 13, 2017

WageWorks was the flex spending account company that was used through my old work place (HCA). Shortly after resigning from my position with the company I began receiving statements stating that my receipts that I had entered online were "denied". I had the option to try to resend and/or upload the receipts online or just pay the amount "in question" to WageWorks. I wrote them a check. Now, literally, a year later I am receiving an email from WageWorks saying I have more balances I need to pay off because the receipts I had uploaded were "denied" for whatever reason. I have no words. I am shocked companies like this can exist and potential mess up my (VERY GOOD credit score) by reporting this to the IRS if I don't pay them more money. Not sure what to do here.

Original review: July 13, 2017

Since March 2017, I have called WageWorks customer service over a dozen times seeking answers. In addition, I have emailed WageWorks on multiple occasions and I sent a FAX. I have $1,500 in a FSA and I am trying to obtain the method to access MY MONEY. Every rep I spoke with assured me that yes, I do have a FSA w/ $1,500.00 and I have until 30 Apr 2018 to utilize but not one of my correspondence attempts resulted in WageWorks providing me with specific directions to utilize MY money. After researching, I found that WageWorks has an Executive Escalation Team but guess what? WageWorks will not provide a means to contact them.

It is misleading and fraudulent to advertise these services without also providing a means to correspond with them. The lack of clarity, consistency and transparency offered by WageWorks is appalling. I would like to find out what authority presides over WageWorks or what Government entity resides over them so that an official report/complaint can be filed and if possible, an investigation launched. It has to be criminal/illegal to deduct money from a customer's paycheck under the guise of an FSA and then not allow the customer to access said funds. Or make it so insanely confusing and impossible to access funds that the customer gives up. The amount of time I have donated to WageWorks looking for an extremely basic and simple answer is nauseating unbelievable.

Original review: July 12, 2017

I'm really getting the run-a-round from WageWorks. I did not have any trouble at Benefit Concepts. First they couldn't read the paymeback claim form. I was not informed until I called. Then they said they needed a contract letter from UHC. I had to call to find out. Now you say that this letter can't find its way to the original claim docs? This whole scenario has consumed 3 months of wasted time and agita. Somebody should be fired for incompetence. I as most people I know, I do not have faxing capabilities. Your only email capabilities reside in Facebook. But you are unable to put this missing document with the original claim. Catch 22. Yes but the question is how can you do business w/o email. FAX is dead-didn't you get the memo? I can't even send this message to you quickly-I must use snail mail. Ridiculous in this day and age!!

Original review: June 22, 2017

I want to begin by explaining my situation. I have Stage IV colon cancer with metastatic disease to my liver, so my health insurance is a necessity to my survival. The reason for my review is the inefficient process and lack of knowledge of employees at WageWorks. I have been lied to due to either lack of training given to WageWorks employees or due to the fact that they really do not care which has been obvious through my whole experience.

WageWorks requires you when changing over to Cobra to fill out an enrollment form, which is sent to a Kentucky office. You can fax it, but it takes according to WageWorks, 3-5 days to process. They lost mine. The payment is required to be sent to the Chicago office which takes another 3-5 days. They do not take debit cards. Then you wait another 3-5 days for the enrollment form and the payment to catch up to each other. After paying three payments of over $2100.00 since April 29th, plus calling every three days, it is June 22 and they have yet to reactivate my insurance. I called WageWorks on June 19th and was told my insurance company would be notified the following day. Thursday, June 22, I again called my insurance company to make sure they were notified. They were never notified, so I again called WageWorks.

I was told by WageWorks, that the employee I spoke to on June 19th, was new and never followed through in notifying my insurance. I was then asked if I had a life threatening disease, which I do not think should have anything to do with the lack of efficiency of the company in providing service to any paying customer. Again, I was told that the "supervisor" in charge would put my request through today, June 22, by 2 pm. I asked the employee the supervisor’s name, but she stated she did not know her name. Really? So I am currently waiting until 2 p.m., to follow up with my insurance that they received notification. My confidence is not high. Life has been stressful enough with my health, chemotherapy and day to day living without the added stress of this whole ordeal.

And it is true what others have commented on... WageWorks does not notify you other than by mail. So… If your mail is lost or you do not receive the notification in time due to any delay in the mail, WageWorks will simply cancel your insurance rather than using two avenues of communication. So… Why do they need my email? What a nightmare this has been!! In our high tech world, WageWorks is still using obsolete, primitive bookkeeping with poorly trained employees.

Original review: June 21, 2017

My card has been suspended a total of 4 times now. Twice in 2016 and twice in 2017. They say it's because they don't have receipts. So now I can't use my card with my money on it because my school district decided to use this company. I guess it's because they were the cheapest. Hundreds of teachers have the same problem. I called to find out why my card was being denied all 4 times and the answer was the same each time. Receipts they need. Why don't they have them? They are lying and just interrupting people's lives. I am an insulin dependent diabetic and would appreciate dealing with a competent company. They have my current email address, but intentionally sends me emails about the card being denied to an email address that I haven't used in 20 years. This is a genuine complaint, not fake, have gone through this 4 times now and will have to go to the BBB next. I have already complained to my school district.

Original review: June 21, 2017

I seriously hate when I have to call customer service! I was trying to find out a simple answer and the NON-ENGLISH speaking agent, kept saying she will put me "on a brief 2-3 minute hold", and each time she'd come back, she had an answer to something I didn't ask. I finally asked for a supervisor, and I literally just hung up, without speaking to the supervisor. I Was on hold for 18 minutes while I'm at work! This service is unacceptable and it's always been this way. I'm really tempted to just stop this and cut my losses. I don't have the time or energy to deal with this HORRIBLE customer service. Jeeze!

Original review: June 19, 2017

I am experiencing the same issues many are here. The card for medical services is being declined. I submit a receipt for a valid expense such as hospital parking. It states it's the hospital parking garage with exact date and time of hospital visit. They paid the hospital visit but not my parking. Asked me to resubmit claim, denied again stating insufficient information because the receipt does not have my NAME on it. What parking receipt is going to have your NAME on it! Now I'm dealing with the same on a dental crown work. They told me they would get receipt directly from Dr. Then now they are asking for itemized proof.

Person on phone contradicts earlier person. I just keep getting the runaround and I have over 1900 that If I don't use I will lose. I think there's some type of fraud hoping they will keep people's funds so I pay twice! Over the counter glasses are allowed, but they won't reimburse either 'cause they state receipts must have the person's name on it. They encourage me to use the FSA store but when you look at the prices they are higher than if you purchased them at Walmart or Amazon, but they won't reimburse for items that qualify and you pay more with their site. This is MY MONEY!!! What part of this isn't fraud?

Original review: June 19, 2017

In the 6 months since WageWorks began managing benefit premiums for my employer they have repeatedly failed to mail accurate and timely statements. The first month I received 4 separate statements from WageWorks, with one showing an incorrect amount due. I made several calls & spent lots of time on the phone talking to representatives who were completely unable to assist me. I asked for a supervisor & held about 15 minutes before being told no one was available. I asked to have a supervisor call me, waited a week & never got a response. Now for 2 months I have not received a statement. They are jeopardizing my benefits because if I fail to make a payment, I will lose my benefits. This company is incompetent to handle employee benefits and the customer service they provide is subpar.

Original review: June 12, 2017

My husband's employer provides medical insurance and a provider of FSA debit card accounts. Also, we elected a HSA for our insurance option this year, so this card through WageWorks is our only means of accessing our medical funds. Any time you use the card, they ask over and over again for the receipt. As soon as they want a receipt, they put your account on hold and won't let you access your healthcare money. Trying to phone them is futile, as they cannot locate your account by your name, social security number, employer name or employee ID number. How in the heck are we supposed to get OUR MONEY THAT WE'VE HAD TAKEN FROM MY HUSBAND'S PAYCHECK TO PAY FOR OUR MEDICAL CARE? This company should be investigated. I'm considering seeking an attorney. Look at the reviews of this company. My situation is not uncommon.

Original review: June 6, 2017

I took my husband for an MRI this morning - we checked our available spending account. It was declined! I spoke to Christina, Greyson and Candice (supervisor - with no authority or power to assist!!!). We found out that our account was suspended due to not submitting a prior payment receipt for dermatology. This part is fine except we never received a notification that they needed receipts. They sent an email to my husband's work email and he has no access to it unless he is at work. (Email was sent on May 27th. He's been out of work since.) I refuse to accept that in this age they did not call, email other email addresses they have on file, send a notice to our address. We were so frustrated and had to pay $200 out of pocket. WageWorks: I will write to every state agency about you until you change your methods of business.

Original review: June 3, 2017

I have had the the same issues as most of the reviews as others when it comes to verifying my transactions. I will no longer use my WageWorks card. I will use my personal card, collect my cash back, deduct my mileage when I submit my receipts online and will not have to worry about digging up past receipts. I would like to say what I really think about WageWorks but then my review would not be seen.

Original review: May 30, 2017

Today I received a letter that my COBRA was cancelled due to not making a payment in time. Even though WageWorks has both my wife and my email we received no reminder, nor did I get a letter reminder. When I called WageWorks, they said there is a 30 day appeal process to get re-instated. So with insurance what am I supposed to do, hope I don't get any catastrophic illness in the next 30 days? I think the only alternative is to get other insurance while WageWorks processes my appeal. This is like if you are late with a car payment the car company takes away your car and says there is a 30 day appeal period if you want it back.

In today's computer world WageWorks sends you a set of coupons to send in to pay for COBRA. I haven't used coupons in years. I thought I had set up direct payment but made a mistake - note if anyone has Cobra with WageWorks don't forget to do this. Companies that don't allow for human error, or issue reminders which are free emails in this computer age, need to be corrected.

Original review: May 25, 2017

It is almost too painful to relate the amount of time I spend making copies and PDF's of receipts and EOB's for every medical appointment paid using my Wageworkers card. And while waiting for these to be processed (and rejected and submitted again, etc), I can't even use the card because they put a hold on it. SO much hassle that I truly will consider abandoning the effort altogether.

WageWorks Company Information