1.00/5
  • 1 star
Based on 85 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 14, 2017

248 WageWorks Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

This is a flexible FSA, and they are God awful! ANYTHING over $30.00 requires receipts. I had a freaking by-pass stint put in and they asked my Doc for an cyclopedia of stuff! They say it's all according to government rules but I don't believe their **! They put the work on the customer to go snorkel for paperwork. I talk to the freaking archdiocese and of course it's all news to them. They are the worst; run to your HR Department and tell them if the Benny card salespeople come by, to throw their salespeople out on the a$$!!!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

I have had multiple FSA accounts in the past with other companies with NO problem. This is the WORST company I have ever dealt with. No matter what you send them they need more. Everyone knows getting radiological tests or glasses is only being done for fun. SARCASM!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

They took over 500.00 from my paycheck for 'pre-tax' commute dollars - the cards they sent did not work and they did not care, stated they will be keeping my money and as they are all in India there is nothing that can be done about it. Stay Away - they are out to steal your money.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I would not recommend this company to any employer. A few weeks ago a rep hung up on me when I asked to speak to a manager. I was told by 2 reps today that they could not connect me with a manager. They were outside of the 30 day timeline to notify me of my COBRA rights. I paid the November premiums and they did not when I told them they acted as if they did not care. The Rep last week told me I could elect online, and the COBRA letter itself said I could elect online and recommends to elect online to speed up the process.

They did not reinstate my coverage and was told today that I do need to complete the letter and mail back US postal mail. I asked to speak to a manager she refused. I hung up and called back, I was then told that they would not reinstate my coverage until I pay December's premium. I paid that premium, even though their COBRA letters states I have until December 30th to pay for December's coverage. I have paid they still will not get my coverage for another 10 days. I am 33 weeks pregnant and they could care less. Run, Run far and Run fast.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

This is a company that has no idea what they are doing. I signed up for a monthly commuter card and they guarantee that it's going to be delivered by the start of the first benefit month. The pass showed up ten days late so I had to buy another pass. I had to fill out more paperwork and show receipt to get reimbursed. They then tell me that a new pass will be sent for the next month in time. Once again, pass never showed so I bought another pass. I then talk to an employee at WageWorks who tells me they can't reimburse me for this one which I still have no idea why. At that point, I tell them take me off their service. I'm actually losing money by working with them. Incompetent, not worth the headache.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about WageWorks?

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

My former employer uses WageWorks to manage COBRA. I submitted payments according to the due dates listed on my account in their customer portal - Current Payment Due Date. However, the dates they listed were wrong, rendering my medical accounts inactive. Customer service was very unhelpful in resolving the issue, and even denied my request to file a complaint/issue. This impeded my ability to see my doctor as scheduled. Borderline fraudulent practices.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

They took $242 out of my paycheck for my monthly commuter card and they never sent it. I called. I spoke to someone in India and he didn't care, he told me they never took the money out of my check even though I was staring at the deduction. Then he told me they did take the money, but can’t sends me the cards. He then told me they did send the cards, but when I asked him for proof he told me that he couldn't give me proof of email confirmation, tracking number, or the date and screenshot of the order being placed. This has happened to me twice with WageWorks and I no longer want to work with them, if someone knows a competitor for up to $250 for unlimited pre-taxed Bennett transit cards in NYC please let me know.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

Worst customer experience I've ever experienced. Denied three times for a simple Commuter Benefit reimbursement. I received a letter denying me for a fourth time that I didn't even submit. This company rips you off by being inept. Don't give them any personal information or access to your account. Truly awful.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

If you are considering contributing to your WageWorks (WW) Flexible Spending Account, I highly suggest that you reconsider. In my experience, I have dealt with more complications and limitations than overall benefits with this service. Here are just a few examples: More often than not, WW will request receipts for transactions that my health care providers have already verified with WW by submitting documentation on my behalf. There are very limited expenses that automatically qualify as eligible expenses. Rest assured, however, that your money can be spent on overpriced items in the Flexible Spending Account store!

WW is inconsistent in their claims processing. I submitted a claim for a massage therapy treatment earlier this year; the treatment facility submitted a receipt on my behalf and the claim was automatically approved. Over the next couple months, I returned for visits to the facility for the same treatment, along with acupuncture treatment. The claims were denied. This time, after the fact, WW requested a "Letter of Medical Necessity." The treatment facility advised me that they had never before dealt with this much difficulty in claims processing. The inconsistency on WW's part and the statement from the administrator from the treatment facility left me wondering if I was dealing with discriminatory treatment or improper review of my account.

The WW customer service contact information is not listed on the claims processing form. Instead, you are provided with a fax number and a P.O. Box address at which you may submit your completed documentation. You will not find the customer service phone number nor a general e-mail address at which you can reach a WW representative.

When you contact the WW customer service telephone number (which, by the way, is buried in the middle of the WW website homepage, but not anywhere apparent from your personal login page), you are limited to speaking only with a friendly, but altogether unhelpful staff who can recite the standard responses to FAQs, but are unable to assist in any meaningful way with account issues. Oh, and when you ask to speak with a Claims Specialist, you will be told that you can't speak with one, but, if you could speak with one, they would say the exact same thing that you heard from the Customer Service Representative.

In my case, I asked specifically for the Customer Service Representative to review the documentation that I had submitted and to advise me if it was sufficient. I think it goes without saying that this is important information that clients should be able to gather from a phone call directly to WW. Instead, you will be told that you will simply have to wait at least 48-72 hours to find out if your claim is approved or rejected. These are just a few examples of why I will never again elect to participate in my Flexible Spending Account if WageWorks is the provider of this benefit.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

I have had to reach out to customer service many times and it is clear that calls are sourced out. Everyone I have talked to while being friendly, they are frustrated because they are unable to find a solution. I have a HSA to pay my final 2 months. Incredibly WageWorks doesn't allow me to pay this way! They only accept checks, money orders, and direct bank withdrawals. How can that be? Every company me, my family and friends have a HSA card to access their funds! I would like to believe that this practice is illegal.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

I logged onto my WageWorks account page to pay my December premiums. The amounts shown are the same amounts I have always paid. When I hit "pay premium", it totals the premiums to a different, substantially higher amount. I called WageWorks and I was told that my premiums have gone up as of 11/15 but they haven't yet had time to update their website or bother to inform me by correspondence that my premiums have gone up. I can't run the risk of losing coverage, so I have to pay the higher amount without having received any notice or explanation of the increased premiums. Outrageous.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

After working 35 years at the same company, we were all laid off but some Grandfathered in for a monthly reimbursement on a percentage of the medical insurance, which is given back every three months around the 17th of that month. At the end of 2016 after being reimbursed by Benefit Concepts for two years, which was a great company and always paid out on the due date, the reimbursement was moved to WageWorks in 2017. Still no reimbursement and it's the 24th... Don't they realize that this money is mine and not theirs. I guess they hang on to everyone's money, earn the interest from it, then maybe if you are lucky you'll get it by the end of the due month... I guess I have a job for the rest of my life chasing and waiting every three months. :(

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

Cobra coverage - I'm paid until Dec 31, 2017 and they keep telling United Health Care I'm only paid through Sept 30!!! United Health Care won't pay claims until Wage Suckers corrects the wrong information they keep providing. Calls to the NON-customer service for WageWorks are ignored, placed on hold forever and they say it their system to report old information. THEY ARE NOTHING BUT THIEVES!!!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I called WageWorks on Oct. 2nd to cancel my COBRA benefits. I was acquiring insurance on my own that was more reasonable. I wanted to have it become effective as soon as possible but needed funds reimbursed in order to do so. I was told it would be 7-14 days to get my refund the first time I called. I was told that someone would call me with a status update. So I called the other insurance company and told them I couldn't start my coverage until I received the check or until I received my monthly check. We decided to make my new insurance effective on October 18th to make sure I had the funds to cover still believing I was getting the refund. I called again to confirm and asked for a callback with a status. No callback. I was told on that call that it sometimes takes 30 days for the process to go through.

So I waited until the 30 days and received no update and called again. Then I was told that it had not been approved yet so I asked to talk to a manager. I talked to Cheri and she said she would have someone call me by Monday at the latest so I waited again. Again no return phone call. I called again and was told by the rep on the phone that my policy was cancelled by them as of Oct. 31. I was livid and asked to talk to a manager again. This time I talked to Elizabeth. She said she would escalate it and give me a callback today which she did but she told me today. Now this is like a month and a half after my request that I had to prove when my new policy started for them to refund my money. And since I didn't have insurance until the 18th of the month that they didn't were not able to refund any of my money.

I didn't have coverage until then because they didn't give me the money back when I cancelled. My other insurance said it usually only takes 48 hours to get money refund and 7-10 days in some cases. I was not given the same information twice throughout this month and a half long process. I feel like they didn't give me the proper information so that they could keep my money. And it is not a small amount. I paid $670 a month for my insurance. I truly feel I was given the runaround so that they could not return my money or that they have incompetent people working for them that do not know the processes that need to be followed. I am still filing a complaint and have escalated it. I left BL a message for Elizabeth's supervisor who I was told will call me back in the next two days. I am not very optimistic that I will get a return call at this point.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

Tomorrow will be my 6th time trying to get them to pay 3 legitimate claims. Huge hassle. Who has this kind of time? It is a series of mistakes on their part and they could give a rip. Most everyone you speak with you cannot understand. It has consistently gotten worse and worse over the years. I am giving it one more year and if there is no improvement, I am also not signing up next year. The tax break is totally not worth this kind of frustration and aggravation.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I had only used my card once for a dental visit this year 2017 and my balance was significantly lowered leaving only a balance of $12.63 and they could not explain where the rest of my money had gone to. Instead they tried to tell me that the rest of my balance went towards a transaction in 2016! WHAT!!!! I, of course, asked for a supervisor to no avail and kept putting me on hold for 2-3 minutes at a time. And after holding for almost 1 hour and a half, I said a few choice words and hung up. This company collects from us every pay period and has yet to reflect the correct balance and they sent me an email saying that my card would be cancelled because they needed another detailed receipt from my dentist to which they had already received. This company sucks and is not even registered with the Better Business Bureau. They are a criminal franchise and needs to be shut down. DON'T USE THIS COMPANY!!!!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

Over the year they have gotten worse and worse. It is so hard to get paid fast of your own money (health/dependent). Their customer service sucks, and when you ask them for additional help from a supervisor/manager they refuse. Their call center wherever it is has some very bad employees who have no idea how to communicate in English. It is just so bad that companies don’t offer choices for this service.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

Never received the extended benefit coverage packet until AFTER my coverage expired. The packet they sent referenced the wrong employer. Thankfully once I logged in online, they had the correct medical plans to extend. However, they wouldn't allow me to cancel or waive coverage for Vision and I discovered I wasn't allowed to remove anyone's coverage from my account over the age of 18, without THEIR permission (i.e. the person being removed), even though I was the one paying for their coverage. I didn't need to do this, but thought it strange. People over the phone were very unhelpful.

So Consumer Affairs, when are you going to start investigating and working to shut these people down, or fining them heavily?!?! Every single person who has dealt with them has rated them 1 Star. Employees who are or have worked for them haven't rated them much above 2, or 3 stars. Please do your job as a Consumer protection organization and start holding this company accountable. WageWorks should be shut down completely and should not be allowed to handle health services and HIPPA information, which is some of the most sensitive information there is. In the likely event my sensitive data is ever breached, I may just hold you both legally liable.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I have never seen anything so ridiculous in my life. My company previously used PayFlex for HSA reimbursements. Piece of cake. The company recently switched to WageWorks. I logged in today to apply for reimbursement of about 25 individual medical expenses. I quickly realized that you can only do ONE reimbursement at a time and only scan ONE receipt at a time if you want to use their online system. PayFlex allowed for one big PDF of multiple receipts and upload of multiple line items with said receipt. Not this piece of garbage. How ridiculous.

Then I called the customer hotline and asked if I was missing something and the girl on the phone nonchalantly tells me, "Oh, I wouldn't bother with that then. Maybe you can just fax everything in". I asked her what that would entail and she says, "you need to fill out a Claim Form, but you can only include 8 lines per claim form so in your case you'll have to do multiple claim forms, then you can fax those forms along with a fax of all your receipts". She made it sound like this was perfectly normal behavior for the year 2017 and laughed at me when I suggested that they fix the online system to allow for multiple claims and scans in one bulk upload. I'm personally going to return to work on Monday and have a word with our HR department about going back to PayFlex. This is complete nonsense.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

I called WageWorks today to find out about eligible dependents and was given two different answers. The first person could barely speak English and her answer was "affirmative". When I called my HR Benefits department, they told me to call WageWorks again and speak to a supervisor. The supervisor gave me a different answer. When I asked the supervisor if she could see where I had called earlier she said she could but that the conversation had not been noted. Of course not. Lousy customer service!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

Since my company's ADP switched administration of its Flexible Spending Accounts to WageWorks, the service level has tanked. I have been unable to use my debit/credit card for 6 months now, essentially because $12 and $25 co-pays are being questioned, and attempts to resubmit invoices are being rejected. I have gone so far as to call the help support line with the intention of simply paying the amounts being challenged in order to free up my remaining $2,000 balance. However, their 800 number takes the call offshore to call-takers who struggle with English and only have a rudimentary understanding of the process. This is horrible! I am probably done with the bother of having an FSA account going forward.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

WageWorks acts like its 1999?! I have to fax over receipts from my medical expenses? Seriously? Fax? Who uses fax machines anymore? A signed receipt for a bill is not sufficient. You have to have an itemized invoice from the doctor?! Good grief. Not doing this again this year. Don't waste your time. And they send you these cryptic emails that don't explain anything. "If you don't give us these receipts, we're going to cancel your account." Wait... Wha?

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I used this service under the assumption that it's a legitimate company. The people working here are holding $1,000 of my flex money saying that I need to submit receipts. My documents were all denied. Got sick had to pay for doctor, Co-pay medication and over counter out of my own pocket. The documents given to WageWorks is what I received from doctors, dentist, eye doctor.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

Each year Choice Strategies tries over and over to deny my orthodontist claims. They clearly make their money by taking advantage of people who don’t keep track of their account or get tired of the endless excuses to deny. It is braces. This is why I put the money there. Just pay the damn bill. Seriously, what is your problem?

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

I don't think they are capable of validating a single medical expense for the spending card without submitting the same documentation multiple times. Doesn't matter if it's from your doctor's office that you've been using for years and already submitted documentation for multiple times. I'm not knocking their staff. I'm sure they receive no training, and it's a transition job until they find something better. I'm not sure I am going to have any money taken out next year. They make it extremely difficult to use your card.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I called to find out how to file a claim. "Alvin" told me this: "We are not taking online claims, you have to mail it." After several minutes, could not tell me the address. I asked where I could find a claim form, he said online. I said I'm online on your website and I don't see a form. He said, "We are updating our systems." OK so where is the claim form? "Online". So they take your money, no problem but there is NO WAY to file a claim and get reimbursed for health charges. This should be illegal.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

When I initially signed up for COBRA, they said that they never received my paperwork. I mailed the paperwork and my payments for September and October at the same time. They go to two different addresses. They got the payment and cashed the check without a problem, however they never informed me that they did not receive my paperwork and my coverage was canceled. I only became suspicious two months later when I never received my payment coupons. I then had to go through the process of appealing the cancellation. That took from November to February the following year to resolve. After several phone calls and having to get BC/BS involved I finally had insurance. All along I am paying for the health insurance and not being able to use it because WageWorks did not inform BC/BS that my insurance was reinstated. I believe my paperwork got lost on somebody's desk. I hope I never have to deal with that company again.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

KISS YOUR FSA MONEY GOODBYE with WageWorks! This Company needs to be shut down and employees jailed for illegal misuse of consumer's healthcare money. A class action CRIMINAL lawsuit cannot happen fast enough!! Yes your FSA is suppose to be YOUR money and YES it is set aside for serious health expenses such as CANCER & DIABETES, but this company, that is located overseas, rejects claims and illegally freezes access to your account without reason! When you call to question be prepared to be connected to an underage 12 Year Old Child with poor language skills, who if you are lucky enough to understand, will yes you to death & tell you they are working on it... and then never call you back!

In a nutshell, during a transfer, by my employer, from a current FSA Benny Card to a New Wageworks Card all 2016 FSA money has been held frozen for 5 months despite being told that any money under $500 would transfer over. Numerous employees at my company have also lost their FSA Money and HR has been unable to resolve with WageWorks. A manager in the overseas office at Wageworks said they didn't have a column on their spreadsheet to add the rollover money!!! After 5 months of multiple phone calls, It has been impossible to effectively get a resolution!!! Because this money is specifically for health expenses it should be a CRIMINAL OFFENSE to mishandle Healthcare money in this illegal manner!!! Stay clear of WageWorks!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

Horrible website. The most poorly designed (using the word design is a stretch) you will ever encounter. Written using language and organization foreign to normal people. Perhaps it makes sense from their internal company structure and culture but it is unbelievable confusing and unclear how to use it for any of the critical and basic functions it supports such as setting up and making payments and getting information. It looks to have been designed by software engineers to work for their perspective.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

Worst company ever - DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM. Do not pay bills, lie, and give you the runaround on every bill. They want to hang on to YOUR money as long as they can. Their executives should be in Jail. If there are others out there that feel the same way - let's file a class action lawsuit.

WageWorks Company Information