1.02/5
Based on 132 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

San Mateo, CA

Last updated: May 25, 2018

326 WageWorks Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 25, 2018

This company is the absolute worst, not only do they get my coverage terminated by sending wrong information to medical coverage company, they then will not fix the matter and I am left dealing with no coverage and all the hassles that go along with that as well. I cannot get help, I cannot get prescriptions nothing. I have called them so many times in 10 days and they always appear to be helping, but nothing ever gets remedied. Then when you want to speak to supervisors they don't help you. This place is beyond ridiculous and something needs to be done about them, this is our health insurance we are talking about!!!

Original review: May 22, 2018

This company is very inconsistent with the acceptance of receipts. I have sent multiple receipts different ways and all the sudden I am starting to have problems. I had to call about one of my receipts and the lady on the phone would not explain what I needed. She kept telling me that I needed to read the rule book or pamphlet (forgot the exact words she told me) to understand what I needed to do. Not ok. I had to do all this extra work. Call this company and calling my dentist for this receipt and a few other places to figure out what the problems were. As a customer I should not have to waste my time like that trying to figure out what is needed when they are suppose to be the experts at this.

Get expert buying tips about Business to Business Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 13, 2018

I submitted a claim for $700, the remaining funds in my Flexible Spending account which was denied. I was told it was because the letter had to be postmarked by March 31st however, I did take it to the Post Office on the 31st where there was an 11:30 pm pick up noted on the box. WageWorks told me they received the request on April 10th however, can not produce the postmark. Their customer service requested I write a letter asking for a "review" which I did and it was denied, indicating the claim wasn't postmarked by March 31st. Again, they are not able to produce the postmark for me as I have been requesting. This is horrible customer service! They are keeping my $700 and I want it back! If considering a Flexible Spending Company - don't consider WageWorks. Horrible people.

Original review: May 8, 2018

On the chat with customer service for over half an hour... long story short, my receipt shows three items: charge total, cash discount and my final payment. They can only approve the cash discount I received! Dude, that was the money I did not pay!

Original review: May 3, 2018

This company is completely unprofessional. I require a letter from the COBRA administrator (WageWorks) indicating that the coverage is expiring and when. It has to be dated within 90 days of the qualifying event in order to qualify for enrollment in a new medical plan. I had a letter but not within the 90 day range. I requested a new letter and was told by WageWorks they would not issue the letter until after my payment posts to my account. The check is in the mail. My payment record is clean. They say "it isn't personal", but I personally am the only one who will get hurt if the medical coverage lapses because I don't receive the letter in time.

I talked to two different supervisors. Of course each time it takes going through the gauntlet of call screeners and information gatherers to get that deep into their customer "service" organization. The second time through I asked for a direct phone number and was told they don't have direct numbers. That supervisor told me the decision was made by the account manager. I asked to talk with that person and was told "they don't have a phone". So that is the dead end... You can talk to a different supervisor each time after passing through the gauntlet but they don't make the decisions and you can't talk to the people who do make the decisions. I guess I'll eventually get the letter. I'm hoping for the best.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about WageWorks?

Original review: April 23, 2018

WageWorks is a payment processor for medical savings accounts. They continually reject valid medical claims. I sent receipts 3 times for the same dental bill. WageWorks refuses to accept this receipt for a valid dental bill. Now they have closed my account when there is over $1,000.00 cash in it. This is the worst customer service ever. This company talks employers into using them then WageWorks denies all claims hiding behind, "IRS Rules." This company now has 1,000.00 of my money. This company must be very profitable. They take money then, "deny until they die." Do NOT get involved with this company!

Original review: April 19, 2018

When my husband changed job we had to go on COBRA for 3 months before the new insurance kicks in. Started off us having to call several times to find out the prices and where to send the money etc. They claim it was the employer's responsibility and the employer said it was theirs. During this time we had NO insurance whatsoever. Both my husband and myself are on long term med. I am diabetic with high blood pressure so it was very important that we keep our coverage going without stop. When we finally got the information we paid online immediately. We still had to wait almost 10 days before the insurance kicks back in.

Unfortunately only the medical insurance kicked back in. My prescription via Express Script and my vision never got reinstated even though I had paid all the premium. Many frustrating calls to them and Express Script, they each blame the other party for not doing the right thing. To the end I don't really know who did or did not do what they are supposed to but regardless, my experience calling their cobra customer service was most awful. Having to pay over a thousand dollar for insurance that we were not getting I expect some empathy but not these people, it was the opposite, they were ALL very short with me and didn't want to listen and refuse to call Express Script for me to try to straighten it out. They kept telling me to call Express script myself but Express Script said they never faxed the form needed. Basically all my calls were falling in unconcerning ears!

After several calls of getting nowhere, I asked for supervisor, he was just as unconcerned and rude and gave no assistance. After many frustrating calls they finally opened a "case" for me and it still took many calls and the supervisor even refuse to take my calls. I was frustrated but I never cussed at them or anything. I worked at retail for over 20 years and I have had to deal with many irate customers and I had NEVER refused to talk to one because it was my job. To sum up my experience with them, I paid 3 months' premium and got only one month's coverage because of their incompetence and or lack of care. I was so lost and had no one to turn to. The thing to remember is, these people are dealing with people's health and with no medication or medical care it could be very serious but they do not care. They are in the wrong business.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I have used WageWorks and ADP over the course of 5 years. Both have similar technology platforms and policies. Both make life miserable for consumers trying to get their reimbursements for healthcare, dependent care, and transportation reimbursement. The best case is when one is able to use their WageWorks or ADP branded debit cards, but many providers do not take the WageWorks or ADP debit cards, making it necessary to send in physical receipts. If a claim is denied, all clients do not have to be notified of the denial via email or letter but must take the initiative to track the approval process online themselves.

If one does become aware of a denied claim and calls to follow up on the claim, the call centers are staffed by people who do not have the authority to fix the problem, they can only document the conversation and escalate the issue. Even more so than insurance companies, FSAs as businesses are set up to make money by denying or making it very hard for consumers to claim their own hard earned money. The system is a disgrace.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I contribute every pay period and last time I wanted use the credit I have, they say that the dental service I received was for the previous calendar year, however I had more credit so I don’t know what’s the difference and why it’s matter. I’m not gonna stay in pain for 2 months to make sure my new calendar year is on to use my money in the account. They are pure thieves robbing you every day. Stay away from them. And their staff is BS.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I recently retired from the Dept. of Ed. I am unable to get reimbursement for the $1,100 or so in my account. That is almost a full paycheck. I sent receipts by certified mail with the "special handling" sheets attached, but they claimed they never got them. Guess what, I got back the green signed certificate saying they received it. I then tried e-mailing and faxing them (with my son's help). Each time, they sent me a form letter E-mail, stating that the "special handling" letter is illegible. I have scans and confirmations from Metrofax, the letter was indeed legible, and it did go through. It's clear to me now that WageWorks has some sort of sweetheart deal with the city. All employees at the board of ed. were offered WageWorks commuter cards. Had I known their reputation, I would NEVER have gotten involved.

Original review: April 8, 2018

We have had WageWorks for the past 2 years. Calling customer support is a joke. First I would like to be able to understand the person I am speaking to. Additionally the individuals (plural) I have had the misfortune to speak to were unable to follow the conversation due to language barrier. It is obvious that our plan is overseen from another country. We have made several attempts of repeatedly send/resend requested receipts, doctor prescription, invoices to no avail and as so many posts I’ve read, ended up paying upfront. What concerns me more is that my identifying information is being utilized overseas. Being a victim of identity theft already, I am astounded that the very information we are to guard diligently is being accessed by those I have little reason to trust given my past experiences of trying to resolve issues. Something needs to be done.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I was recently laid off and had lost my email archives that had information pertaining to my policy end date for my FSA. I had reached out to a representative and was about to get some assistance on finding my end date, but digged through the portal and found the end date to be 3/31/2018. I had reached out to the representative in February and told them not to worry as I had found the date myself. I wanted to save the FSA in case of any last minute procedures that I needed; and decided I would just get prescriptive glasses if nothing came up.

March 30th rolls around and I decided I might as well get the glasses before I lose the chance to spend the remainder of the balance. Upon purchase, my WageWorks card was denied. I had thought perhaps it was denied because the amount was slightly over my balance. Knowing that Wageworks had a claim for out-of-pocket claims, I decided that I needed to pay with my personal card and deal with the claim later. Upon logging into the system, I tried to make a claim and was given an error that my policy is not active. I checked the dates again and saw that the dates were still the same and should be a back-end error, so I reach out to the representative again to help me due to the time limit.

Long story short, I went through my previous employer's benefits manager and received an approval to process the claim. Later upon review by WageWorks, I receive an email claiming that my policy had ended on 3/16/2018. Having checked this multiple times and being proactive about the usage of my FSA, I thought this had to be a mistake, so I logged into the system again to verify. This time, the dates had changed to the 16th of March. It is my belief that they changed the dates after closer review to correct their negligence. Now I have lost my FSA and made a purchase that I wouldn't have made had I known that my FSA was no longer valid... during unemployment. This is a very frustrating situation that really has no resolution as I have no proof other than emails that say I found the end date as the end of March.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I have about $600 on FSA that I am trying to use before I lose it. In March I followed the link to the FSA store and bought about $400 worth of items. I submitted the receipts to WageWorks and I was denied three times. Every time I was denied they sent me a CODED response. The last coded response said transaction didn't take place during plan year. I sign up with WageWorks every year so I don't know how that would be possible. I intend to call them on Monday for further clarification. Though I don't think I will accomplish much. A few years ago I called them and it was a service center that can only receive calls and they were pretty much giving me a scripted response. I lost money that year because I was too frustrated to deal with them. Also I feel the unused portion of our money should be rolled over to the following year.

Original review: April 5, 2018

The experience was better when it was ADP. The website is terrible/not functional: Unable to submit requested receipts (broken). Unable to submit feedback through secure messaging (broken). Unable to navigate back to account profile or anywhere from secure message history (complete dead end). Couldn't find the right customer support number related to my needs. The general layout / workflow of the screens is not user-friendly. They need to hire UX designers.

No clear understanding of how to deal with no receipt or invalid card swipe. No electronic method for remedying an invalid card swipe. I was told on the phone to physically mail a check for $4.00 but I no longer have checks. Tried logging in/ refreshing/ multiple browsers. Call Center Service is terrible: Can't trouble-shoot website or provide insight. Asked for information I had entered on the IVR system. Had to transfer me to the "ADP department" and I had to re-iterate my issues. Employees voices seem lack-luster and completely disengaged as if my troubles were a bother to them.

Original review: April 3, 2018

No disrespect meant to the real #metoo movement, but it completely applies to this situation because I'm confirming that avoiding this company will save so much frustration and stress. It is NOT a benefit to employees to "provide" WageWorks. We signed up with WW FSA and Dependent Care for 2018 because of my husband's new job and it was a huge mistake because of the ongoing nightmare it has been. The first concern is the time between when the payroll deduction happens and when the money shows up in the account. The most recent time it took 7 business days! I honestly wonder if they have a behind-the-scenes scam going with people's money. Dependent Care has been the second huge problem. Each and every month, our claims have been denied though they meet all the required criteria.

Claims have been denied for "being the same"... When actually we have 2 children receiving identical services but clearly and individually documented on invoices submitted and despite the claims being submitted under each dependent's name! The "pay my provider" option awful; my provider has never been paid on time (they've been nice about not charging late fees so far). The overseas call center representatives are poorly qualified, often not answering my specific questions, no option to escalate concerns. Accessing your OWN money to pay for childcare is not worth going through WW. In 2019 we will forego the "tax savings" because it is not worth the amount of time and energy we've had to spend "proving" our claims are accurate and should be paid.

Original review: March 30, 2018

I've been using a flexible spending account for over a decade with my current employer, the State of Texas, and have never had problems submitting receipts or Evidence of Benefits (EOBs) for card validations before. I have uploaded the receipts and EOBs from my health insurance for my physical therapy at least 5 times. Each time their website says they were uploaded successfully and each time I get an email about a week later saying I need to upload my documentation. They have since suspended my account. The EOBs are itemized and show exactly what the charge is for, exactly what is required by the IRS. Worst communication and incompetent.

Original review: March 29, 2018

This company administers FSA Healthcare plans. It is extremely difficult to get reimbursement from them. It takes many layers to get through their offshore customer service to even get a reasonable answer as to why your claim was denied. Their executive resolution team in the US is only reachable by paper mail. It is more like a scam to keep your FSA money.

Original review: March 28, 2018

This company is what nightmares are made of, they can't process claims, they can't get receipts they can't seem to understand what you are asking. They respond to other questions not what you ask. They just keep responding to the same things over and over like you are too stupid to know what you are talking about. They don't. So they keep repeating the same info from What you can see on the website. Nobody can verify receipts received same day, nobody will transfer you to any level up more than one. They have no fax that can sent for urgent matters. God save you if you make the mistake to automatically reimburse. Then you have every insurance error being paid out and good luck getting your money back because you have no idea who is even owed.

Then they send you demands for reimbursements when you haven't gotten the money back from the Dr because the insurance may have denied a claim months after approving and they don't make the Dr send you back the money. So now you have to figure out what got paid, what got denied, who has your money before they cut off your card. That's a trap from the pits of hell. If you want to swim the river Styx, sign up for that mess. They can't even do their job when you submit things, them being on automatic is asking for a meltdown. They can't add up anything. Never pay anything that has to be added up. Why GE uses these folks is beyond me. And now you can only use for pharmacy, otherwise you have to have your Dr wait for payment or try to submit a new claim. Good luck...website is even worse than customer service. Something needs to be done, these folks are out of control.

Original review: March 26, 2018

Having used the credit card processed medical reimbursement accounts for years and rarely if at all being required to get receipts and submit them from medical offices I find this to be a constant nuisance. I currently have three receipts I have to provide and my guess is over the last 15 months that we have used these guys to administer our healthcare reimbursement accounts that I have had to submit at least eight. This company is a distraction and takes what should be a convenience feature and turns it into a PIA.

Original review: March 23, 2018

On a monthly basis I was deducted pre-tax $40 a month from my paycheck for a parking card. On February 28, 2018 I was no longer employed by Humana because a new company came and bought us out and I lost my balance on my parking card and I won’t get refunded the money that came from my check. I had a balance of $188 And my money will not get refunded. I don't know who to turn to.

Original review: March 21, 2018

FYI: For outstanding issues I found an email address: executiveescalationteam@wageworks.com. I've only had one issue so far with WageWorks. My receipt was not detailed enough, but my doctor's office took care of that. However, I have a "pay me back claim" for $500, that was carried over from last year. My fault as a first-time user, I thought the $500 was available to use "until March" of this year, not from 2017. Luckily, I was able to file a claim for weight loss (doctor approved). Have my fingers crossed, no problems. Will update.

Original review: March 21, 2018

They are so pathetic. I had WageWorks before with another company and though my address hasn't changed and their phone system links them, I need to FOREVER listen to a choice of which company I want to choose AND I need to create a whole new login, etc. They're pathetic.

Original review: March 19, 2018

Totally inept foreign call reps who can't solve a problem that they themselves create by rejecting claims for invalid reasons, deleting claims online, failing to update their system online, allow for disappearing information, and not understanding their own computer systems. Lacking rudimentary English skills. Any company who uses them for FSA is causing aggravation and hours of wasted time for their employees.

Original review: March 15, 2018

If I could give zero or negative stars I would. What a horrible experience. Good luck if you ever need them to resolve an issue. Aside from giving them 8 different identifiers (which still took them 10 minutes to identify me), it takes a very long time to remotely get close to a resolution for your problem. Called to see why the transaction placed on a pharmacy website for FSA eligible items was not processed as it said invalid payment on the website. The first "customer service representative" knew nothing and hung up on me when I asked to speak with someone else. The second "customer service representative" put me on hold about 5 times and did not know what CVS or Walgreens were. She informed me my transaction was denied because the merchant was "not an approved merchant" for FSA eligible OTC items.

The merchant I used is indeed listed on the website as an approved merchant. The representative also refused to tell me where they are located; my guess is not in the U.S. since she was not familiar with CVS or Walgreens... In the words of a fellow reviewer, their training consists of following a script (which is difficult for them since they don't really speak English) and putting you on hold when you ask a question they can't find the answer to on their script, thinking you will forget what you asked when they return to the call and still do not have an answer. Horrible company and even worse customer service!!! So glad I will not be using them as my FSA provider anymore.

Original review: March 13, 2018

I've had the unfortunate experience of dealing with WageWorks for months because my company - New Avon - does not allow an opt out. Long story short: They take their money from my paycheck on a direct deposit, pretax basis. Yet, every so often - seemingly at random - they deny receiving the funds. Despite me being able to show them (on my paystub, etc.) that they have received the funds, they deny having received them and it is then incumbent on me to prove that they have them. This usually takes several months and hour after hour of phone calls. I advise anyone in a similar situation to cut to the chase and take them to small claims court. They have absolutely no interest in rectifying the situation and their customer service is a nightmare. Prior complaints that the people do not speak adequate English are absolutely correct in my experience.

Original review: March 9, 2018

WageWorks is one of the worst organizations I've ever had to deal with. Most of their customer service agents barely speak English and provide inaccurate information. I called and they told me that my ~$200 that I added to my Metro card would transfer to my new card when I initiated the process via SmartTrip. After weeks this didn't happen, I called in, and was told the transfer had gone through and to call SmartTrip. I called SmartTrip and was told they hadn't received a transfer and to call WageWorks again.

When I called again, I was told the transfer that had gone through had happened over a year ago (and was clearly not the transfer I was inquiring about). After wasting my time for 30 minutes on the phone and telling me it wasn't possible to speak to a manager, I finally got to an escalations agent. That agent said she initiated a transfer and it would be in my account in 1-2 days. 4 days later I'd received no money so I have to call in again. After a bunch of holds I'm told that escalations agents made an error and that they would resubmit the transfer. To make sure they were transferring the correct amount of money I asked how much the transfer was for - and they told me that they didn't have that information and I would have to contact SmartTrip. How can you not know how much money you just transferred, especially given I add the money through your website?!

Original review: March 3, 2018

If you can avoid doing business with this company it will save you a lot of frustration and money. Wage Works was selected by our employer so we have had no choice in our FSA provider. We have chosen to eliminate the option altogether because it's just not worth the aggravation and the amount of money lost is more than any tax money benefit. Trying to get WW to accept any medical service for reimbursement takes nothing short of an act of Congress. When I try to use the Wage Works card at the medical office it is almost always denied so we end up paying out of pocket on the spot. When we attempt to get reimbursed from our own funds that they have sitting in our account they require documentation over and over again and routinely deny funds. It is absolutely insane what they make you do to get your money back from expenses that are predetermined to be covered.

WW sent us an email with a link to the online FSA store where we could spend the remaining funds by March 15th. I have tried 7 times to spend the money they tell me I have and they have denied every single order. The banner at the top of the website says all items sold are already FSA approved so no need to submit any forms. Trying to get a human who can handle any type of service call is nearly impossible. I had "Sophie" on the phone for an hour and eighteen minutes and she couldn't answer any question without talking to a supervisor. At the end of the call I was so better off than I was before picking up the phone. Do NOT give them any of your hard earned money. I have a better chance of winning the lottery than WW reimbursing me for doctor and dentist visits. Seriously the worst company I have ever had to deal with in my life.

Original review: March 2, 2018

Do not do business with this company ever. They took over from our old FSA administrator and it has been an expensive and horrible nightmare. Their documentation rules make it almost impossible to be reimbursed. They refused to pay on any of the claims submitted because my provider does not create the document they require. I had over $1,200 in my 2017 account because they refused every claim I submitted. When I finally got them to accept a $650 claim they shorted me $350 with the excuse that my account was overpaid! They are counting the claims they have not reimbursed me 1 penny for as paid from my account. There is still $900.00 in the account plus $2,500 for 2018. And guess who gets to keep the unreimbursed money - they do.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I have never experienced a vendor with such poor customer service. I understand it is the trend for customers to help themselves on vendor's websites but WageWorks has one of the most user unfriendly site I have experienced. And their customer service employees must be treated terribly to justify some poor service. They are also an accounting nightmare. Reports required to reconcile our bank account are not available. We have to generate a canned report with too many fields and not enough information and end up guessing what charge should be posted to individual employees. Please reconsider using this vendor. I am replacing them as soon as I can.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I retired from my job of 14 years. I initially worked with 24HourFlex regarding my Cobra coverage which worked without a hitch…a very professional company. While under 24HourFlex, to make bookkeeping easier for me, I paid my insurance premium off up to my coverage period ending April 2018. This year (2018), I received mail from WageWorks saying that they were now the benefits coordinator for my Cobra. I then proceed to receive bills for my coverage. I paid the first bill thinking that maybe my math was off but then got a second bill the next month. Apparently, when taking over my account, WageWorks didn't think that it was relevant that they do any accounting. Why should they consider an account credit? It was as if my earlier payments were null and void.

I called them up twice and got representatives with strong accents and broken English who could only tell me what I owed and did not have any information on my previous payments through 24HourFlex. When I tried to explain how there must have been some miscommunication regarding my account when being switched from 24HourFlex to WageWorks, one representative repeated "WageWorks" as if writing it down to make note of this interesting company that this caller is referring to. I'm thinking, "Umm... Isn't this the company that you're answering your phone for?" Another representative nit-picked about whether I was calling about my Cobra account or my Flex account and transferred me. I had to call back and explain my situation all over again to another foreign representative.

I finally convinced them that I had paid in full before they took over my account and they suspiciously easily said, "Ok, I made the changes to show that you are paid up." Not, something more concise like, "Oh, I see that our records were not accurately transcribed from your previous account through 24HourFlex." If they were more professional, they could wrap their heads around the fact that they still owe me a month's payment, but I'm sure that explaining this to them would be like explaining quantum physics to a 4th grader.

WageWorks Company Information