WageWorks

San Mateo, CA

Compare Business Services

Research top Business Services recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Avoid WageWorks! I was charged $176 to my FSA allegedly by Mercy Health. I have contacted every Mercy Health office I have used and no one has record of services rendered on the date in question. I brought this to WageWorks and they tell me to submit a receipt. There was no service so there is no receipt! I contest the charge... denied. I submit another form... denied. And customer service is pointless. They simply apology, tell you to submit a receipt, and then tell you to submit a form to contest the charges. So I do that again... denied. But I'm told I can resolve it if I send a check for $176... to pay back what was charged against my account. I have asked WageWorks for their copy of the charges... of course, that isn't provided. They have me as a hostage... and to a charge I did not incur. Unreal.

I have to agree with the majority one-star reviews and experienced my own horrible interaction with customer service and no solutions to my issues. Using my own money and WageWorks is still deducting money since September. I've spend over $800.00 accumulate on commuters cards and now I'm broke and have no more money to purchase everyday living expenses along with my metro card. This is insane and the representative over the phone still can't over any good solutions?

I used my card for an FSA transaction. The merchant code was set for physician (vs dental) so it pulled part of the claim from my HRA (this originally unknown to me). This part was denied since it pulled from my HRA. I was never informed why the claim was denied; just to submit receipt. I submitted receipt. Denied again. Called, they said submit receipt from insurance company. I did so. Claim denied again. Called and rep explained about merchant code and that she would submit it to claims to have it updated to reflect dental claim. Then again, a few weeks later, request denied, no explanation again. Have to call yet again (4th time). They say now they cannot change the codes (even with all receipts) and I have to have the dentist reimburse my card, then I pay out of pocket and file a form for them to reimburse me and my card is suspended until that's cleared up. And hope dental people are more helpful now...

My company employs WageWorks to handle all of our FSA claims. My card was suspended for not submitting receipts. I have the receipt I submitted 5 times and when I bring that to their ineffectual, incompetent customer service they then have another excuse for not paying the claim! You can call 10 times a day and get a different answer each time! The Federal government should be regulating this company! This is money we are submitting to an account to pay medical bills/copays etc and this company hires such incompetents trying to get a claim paid or reimbursed is a nightmare! Today I submitted receipts for contact lens solutions and they denied the claim because their "auditor" stated Bausch and Lomb 12 oz Sterile Saline Solution FOR CONTACTS is an eye drop or eye treatment that should be a prescribed med. Obviously again they hire clueless, incompetent people!

My husband's FHS plan is covered through this company. I'm from Canada so was unfamiliar with insurance companies. We called to confirm Doula Services were an eligible expense during the birth of our first child. We were assured it was a covered expense. Knowing that it was covered we went ahead and purchased the Doula service. Upon submitting the claim they denied it, stating it was not eligible. The birth centre we used followed up. Insurance told them it was an eligible expense. "Please submit a letter. No need for an a form of medical necessity because if you actually know what a Doula is you know it is never medically necessary." We re-submitted feeling good that the claim would be covered. It was denied again.

In addition my husband is eligible to have his bus passes paid automatically through this account. One day the bus pass is paid, the next it's cut off. It's hard to find a human to talk to and the staff have no education in what they are dealing with. If you are forced to use them through your employer, send a letter to your retention committee requesting they change companies. Heavily document all contact including employs name and ID number if possible. These people are negligent.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about WageWorks?

I signed up through my employer, as it was the only option available, during our enrollment window. WageWorks is supposed to manage our FSA money, as it is deposited by automatic payroll each week from the employer, in order to pay for certain medical, dental, and prescription drug cost incursions. My employer, a Fortune 5 company, has directed all employees NOT to use their Social Security numbers for identification purposes, and, has in fact, issued unique 8 digit employee identification numbers for all benefits transactions.

WageWorks either does not give a damn about their customers, or worse, is fraudulently engaged in depriving their customers of the money that they have deposited with WageWorks for the purposes described above. They will not even let their customers log in to check the balance on their account without using the individual's Social Security number, which we are specifically forbidden to do as a term of our employment (our company's personnel data has been MAJOR HACKED three times in the last three years, hence, the directive from our CEO about not giving out our Social Security numbers for identification purposes).

WageWorks has refused to resolve this issue after they were contacted about it and said that I would have to resolve the problem of our CEO's directive with our CEO. DO NOT EVER USE THIS COMPANY FOR ANYTHING. They are not ethical in their business dealings with their "customers" and they may steal any monies deposited with them. LET THE BUYER BEWARE!

WageWorks provides the worst customer service I have ever experienced. The customer service people don't even speak English correctly. While I was on the phone with their customer service representatives, I was able to hear at least 2 or 3 other customer service people talking in the background. Our employers choose Wageworks because it charges less service fee. The company has out sourced the service to India or some other foreign countries. Nobody was knowledgeable to help me when I called many times. Wageworks sucks.

I ended up with this option, as the only option from my employer, BlackBerry. As I signed up I was assured the plan would be effective and benefits would accrue for an entire year, even after separation. I had payroll deductions through August 2016, when I left the company. WageWorks then couldn't wait to get rid of me, shutting off debit card and denying claims. They are now stating that my account is active only as long as an employee. This is complete reversal of what I was told upon signup. Seems like a nice scam they are running between employer and insurer to suck the employee dry by trying to end on arbitrary dates. I am contacting our state attorney general, and US Department of Labor/Workplace Services but wanted to warn unsuspecting customers of this company and practice. I have never seen such a thing. Just an awful company to deal with. Avoid!!!

I used to have commuter benefits with WageWorks. I had to cancel at point in time. I called first week of August 2016 for cancelling my account and I was asked to send September pass back. I did exactly as I was told. After I sent the pass to them they claimed money with NJ Transit and never paid me back. There are proofs for all the transactions. When I call they are saying it's commuter credit and we are required to give that back to you. Cheaters. They put you on hold forever if you ask for supervisor. Never use this monopoly company and lose your money.

I have had nothing but trouble from this company. I'm constantly told different policies and procedures. Most of the time I can't understand what they're saying and they cant understand me. I would have thought that they would have to know a very basic knowledge of medical terminology, ie the word diabetic. I've sent over 8 pages of proof that a diabetic insulin pump is a medical need. However they cant verify that it's for medical use.

20 days after my last receipt submission I received a text at midnight stating that my card was suspended because I failed to produce a receipt. So getting no sleep, I waited for them to open in the morning. I was told it will be suspended in 1 day. "Oh we got your submissions, but we couldn't read it. You need to send those 8 pages again." So they had 20 days to respond to my receipts and I now have 1 day to respond back. So my job will have to suffer today because I'm at the hands of a company that behaves like children.

This is what happens when a company exists that has no competition. Extremely poor quality of service. Refused refund when they failed to deliver a commuter card. This is the only option in the market - and thus don't care what their customers think of them; this would explain the 1 star reviews from 50+ customers. Overall, terrible - but no other option.

After I was laid off in July 2016, I paid WageWorks for 2 months to continue coverage through Cobra for my 2 sons with Blue Shield. I talked to numerous reps over several weeks to try to figure out why Blue Shield still showed my sons as "inactive" in the system. Each time I was told different things but that it would be resolved shortly. As of September 15, 2016 -- they still have not provided the necessary information to Blue Shield to show that my sons are covered. As a result, they have lost services and I have several providers threatening to go into collections. Desperate, I called today to cancel and ask for my money back.

They refuse to refund me even though the fault that Blue Shield was never notified is the fault of a "bug in their system." They want to keep my $990+ for those August and September, even though I lost all services already in August due to their incompetence. They can't even promise to fix things for September but refuse to refund me. I'm writing to the Executives but was told that they are unlikely to do anything about it. $990 is nothing to them but it's a lot for the average working Joe like me. For sake of brevity, I didn't even go into much detail about the level of incompetence shown by the WageWorks staff.

Regarding how WageWorks handles Cobra it is very bad. They are very inept. I went into this as my first time using Cobra benefits for my family while I changed jobs. Since I had never used it I was diligent about the forms and had to call many times. The ladies always seemed helpful and understanding. I thought they were great at first. It turns out that once you are not a simple client and have any questions or needs beyond basic info then they really have no idea what to do. So I signed up late for July benefits on July 10 and it took almost 2 weeks until I could pick up prescriptions. It's a long time but I own that one. So I paid my money on July 20 for August coverage as I didn't want to miss any time.

On July 26 I was informed I would have coverage in August under my employers new plan so I immediately cancelled with WageWorks. I filled out the right form with the help of a phone call to them and the lady told me how I had to fax a form and they only cut checks on the 15th so I wouldn't get a check until the end of August, fine. I was also asked to call back in a couple days to confirm receipt. I called back and they asked me to send it again so I did and they confirmed the same waiting process for a check.

I called back again next day and they received the form and again confirmed process. Well on August 10 I got a letter that said my coverage cancellation was received and as of Sept 1 I would have no coverage. Letter dated Aug 3. It should have cancelled Aug 1 and refunded my money. The cancellation letter has you write the day you want to terminate coverage which I wrote Aug 1. Now all the brain dead people of WageWorks come together in a 2 hour phone call in which they inform me they cannot refund my money. They cannot answer any questions as to why or when the deadline would have been to cancel. They are very unclear as to what policies they have or how to follow them.

I have no idea how many supervisors she talked to over two hours but none of the questions I asked were answered by her directly. She couldn't tell me why it changed after multiple people had already helped me file for a refund. She came up with some random concept of a blackout date at the start of the month so they didn't process my paperwork in time but my 8 or so other phone calls never told me of this. Basically they are lazy, don't know the job and the company policies and have no interest in helping. Let me be clear that I only blame the company not the people. They are clearly not trained and given any direction from the company. Very frustrating. Employers please don't use this company!

I have been with my employer for 10 years and during that time I have had a WageWorks account. They are constantly mishandling receipts. This is clearly the worst company at record keeping as they are now asking for verification of a claim they paid over 8 years ago! I know I submitted the receipts to them at the time of the claim or they would not have reimbursed me for the expense or would have shut down my card availability back then. They are incompetent!

My company recently migrated to WageWorks. First I had to wait a month to submit any claims. When they were finally online, I submitted a claim and it was approved. My preferred method is Direct Deposit, and that is what my WageWorks profile shows. Never mind that. They say they mailed me a check in the mail for over $500! Love the USPS but they frequently mis-deliver our mail. It's been 8 days and no check yet. I called "customer service" and they said "check's in the mail, wait 20 days then call back and we will cancel it for you and re-issue it."

I had trouble understanding the person I was speaking with and asked her where she was from and she said "I'm not allowed to tell you that. I'm sorry if you have trouble understanding me". Then she advised me to be "patient" because the transition wouldn't be final till mid-month, another 2 weeks. She could not tell me how to get my reimbursements by direct deposit and I don't think she knew. When they "migrated" my profile they gave me a contact email address that I had with the company before I retired. The company deletes the account upon retirement so they were using an email contact that I could never receive mail at! I did get a street address in Tempe AZ and I did write a letter to them about my issues.

I submitted a claim and included a receipt with all needed information. Claim was denied because "receipt did not provide all information needed to substantiate expenses." I carefully look over the receipt, and everything that they listed is on it. I call them, they look the receipt over, and I'm told it was a mistake and that they'd resubmit it for me. 2 weeks later nothing has happened. I call again. I'm told the same thing. I tell them again, all the information is on the receipt. I'm told it has to be itemized. It IS itemized. But because it has the total cost, minus what the insurance pays, and then my final total, it's confusing... except it's really not. It's an explanation of where the costs came from, itemized! I'm just going to keep calling until I hopefully reach someone who has the right answer. Ridiculous.

My company uses WageWorks and they deduct my orders monthly. My order is the state maximum plus an additional order. $116.50 from my paycheck and $84 from my credit card for the shortfall of my monthly transit order. Wageworks received my money paycheck and also charged me over $200 on my credit card. They refuse to give me my money back or credit my account or even put someone on the phone that isn't an idiot. I got my pay master on the phone as part of a three-way conversation and they said it doesn't work like that. They had to open a ticket and then would get back to me in 7 to 10 days. I have been dealing with this since December 2015 and it's now July 2016.

If you're an employer, do not use this company. Total garbage. Their customer support reads from a script even and most of the time the responses don't make any sense because they don't have a script that matches every scenario. Plus, most of them don't speak great English and can't comprehend information you'll be explaining to them.

My review seems to echo the same negative perception as most of the others. WageWorks has to be the most frustrating of all! They contacted me to advise a check was returned and voided. So one would assume the money would be put back into one's account, right? Nope. Going on 30 days and probably as many phone calls to find out they are "working on it." Then to add insult to injury they sent 2 checks to a provider instead of one. The provider sent it back but WageWorks sent it again. They are the worst when it comes to customer service and the people answering the phones have no clue what they are talking about. I wish my employer went with a more reputable company because WageWorks is the lowest of the low.

There is only one explanation for how bad WageWorks are at handling COBRA. They are purposefully difficult in order to discourage people from electing COBRA. This is 2016 and if you are dependents electing cobra it all has to be done by U.S. postal! Nothing is online. This is a disgrace. It took 14 days for the COBRA election letter to arrive. Their explanation first was that the employer had not sent the COBRA information for the employee. Called employer that was a lie. Their second explanation "we have 14 days to get you the form". Got the form, did the election, and faxed it to them. They take 7-10 business days to process the election form and although it asks for your email, they sent a U.S. postal letter stating they could not read the social security for one child. Unbelievable. Faxed it again. They have 7-10 business days to process that one.

Once that was done I sent two checks for May and June sent certified bank so no issue with waiting for it to clear. That was on May 28, 2016. Today June 17, 2016. They finally notified the employer of election. This is a horrific company which typifies why we need a single payer system without third party administrators. In the meantime from May 1, 2016 to June 17, 2016 I have been paying out of pocket for kid’s scripts and appointments. One child has chronic illness with appointment every 2 weeks. Fortunately, I can afford to pay and wait to get reimburse. Literally $125 a visit and $83 every two weeks for the script.

My concern is for the people who can barely afford the COBRA premium and have to pay out of pocket for the rest, what of them? This is an absolute concerted effort to keep them from being insured. Shame on this company. They have no business operating as a third party administrator. Hopefully, someday soon we will have a single payer system and these people and these parasitic companies will be out of business. Really 2016 and if it’s just dependent coverage it has to all be done by mail. Unreal.

I submitted several claims and didn't attach the claim form for them. I requested they return my paid claim receipts which they said they would do but never did. When I called again to inquire about their status they said they couldn't send them back and I would have to start the entire process all over again since they were denied. I asked them if they would be paid once I resubmitted them and they said "They would be reviewed but there were no guarantees" that they would be paid. This company is not in the business of helping their customers...they are in the business of taking your money and denying your claims with a myriad of excuses for their denials. DO NOT USE THEM!!!

On or about April 10, 2016, I faxed a claim form for health and dependent care mistakenly using the 2015 claim form and fax number. I submitted the claim to the fax number on the form. The fax transmission was completed successfully and I received an email confirmation that my claim was being processed from WageWorks. After several weeks I had not received any additional communication and called WageWorks to find my claim had never been received. Looking back I found the forms were the 2015 forms. The filing deadline had passed by a few days by the time the mistake was realized. I filed an appeal and my claim was denied and told I have no avenue to recoup my $2,000, case closed. I will never use them again. It would take me 10 years to make back the money they took without earning. Never, never, never will use this "benefit" again.

I subscribe through my company to have Wageworks deduct money from my paychecks and put it into a commuter card called Orca. It took 7 phone calls, each call took at least 40 minutes, within 2 months period, for me to get the card mailed to me. Moreover, each time I called, I was told different information, never the same information twice! When I received the card, it has $0 in it while Wageworks keep deducting $ from my paychecks. When I called, the so-called supervisor told me that I need to deal with Orca card myself. When I called Orca card, found out that Wageworks never transfer the funds to Orca and that's why my card has no money in it. Nobody at Wageworks knows where my almost $500 went to!

This USED to be such a wonderful company to give business to. Now the courtesy of a reply cannot be obtained from Joseph Jackson... A wannabe unaccountable CEO of the company. On my first attempt to get assistance with the many problems I have had in the process of reimbursement I was contacted by a rep of his office and I was told I had to provide screen shots of where the process was going wrong. I had already provided names and times of calls besides documentation but that could not suffice. I don't wish to have to justify my request with a PowerPoint presentation of their system and company inadequacies. I want to be treated as a valuable customer as I once was. My second appeal with a letter to Joseph again has not received a response. I mailed my letter in March.

I hate terrible customer service, HATE HATE HATE it. When I worked at Convergys they had a little benefit that allowed you to earn a little extra cash to go towards medical bills. Like if you were participating in exercise days and didn't smoke you could earn credits that went into this WageWorks account. However I left Convergys and money was not being added to the saving account but every week there were different charges to the account so I wanted to close it before I got additional fees. First time calling, the woman said I had $35 in the account so I said, "Great - I'll use it on a medical procedure bill and empty the account."

After activating the card and activating the web account I charged the card towards a medical bill. I waited a few days for the charge to clear and called WageWorks a second time. I was then told I had to talk to a BNY Mellon representative because they're the providers of the account. BNY tells me the charge hasn't cleared on their side and to wait another few days for it to clear.

Two weeks into this process, I call WageWorks again and the man on the phone tells me, the account is empty and is effectively closed and will not incur any additional fees when it is at a zero balance. I politely tell him this is different information than from the other representatives I spoke to and asked that he give me another option for closing this account.

He guides me to a form that's buried on the site profile and that I have to 'mail' it in to get this account closed. Which means about 2 weeks before I 'might' actually have this account closed. At this point I no longer trusted WageWorks in their customer representatives and decided to call the help line on the form, asked for a BNY Mellon Health Savings Account representative. Was transferred to a generic help line and asked for a representative again. This fellow verified my identity and politely closed the account and provided a confirmation number. I am upset at how long and how varied the information provided was. I basically had to keep calling until I found someone that could do what I needed.

Wageworks told me they could not refund me the amount I spent out of pocket to purchase my weekly tickets. They made the mistake of sending me one ticket for $88 instead of two separate checks for $44 each. Septa weekly tickets are only available for the week you are travelling. I was forced to buy 1 weekly, and ten tickets for the week following, the latter costing more money than the weekly anticipated. I guess Wageworks does not work for me, and would care less how much I spend to get to work. I am very disappointed with their lackluster customer service. I offered to send receipts for the extra amount spent out of pocket and they could not honor it. They told me that, once the check is sent it is final. I would advise Wageworks to address the checks to recipients, and not to Septa. If they are not willing to have the flexibility in accommodating all users of Wageworks through their employers, they should warn customers so that they are aware.

It should not be necessary to provide receipts for everything because these are electronic transactions. It appears that this company may have bought out FBMC, which is the company I enjoyed for years. Transactions that were very obviously medical expenses were not questioned. When I signed up again, I was expecting the same hassle free experience that I had enjoyed before with FBMC. WageWorks is completely different. I am having to provide receipts for doctor visits. I have had the same doctor for 26 years. What I really hate is that I cannot opt out due to dissatisfaction. I am stuck with having this company take money out of my paycheck every month, and I will continue to have to provide photos of receipts for everything! It's just not worth the small tax savings, and I won't be enrolling again.

WageWorks is a big time scam. They are sitting to suck up your money. They sucked up already my $1500 which I put it for my preemie child. I have given all the proof receipt, proof of itemized bill, date of service, patient name, etc. but they still not satisfied and blocked my account. I have given them numerous phone calls and I have submitted my claim multiple times and still they have issues. Bottom line is they don't want to pay the money, no matter what you bring to proof for a valid transaction.

These people are the Keystone Cops. Whatever you do, do NOT use their debit card. It sounds like a good idea that makes FSA payment convenient, but it is the root of a screw up on their part that they are too stupid to be able to fix. They screwed up on how they accounted for the use of the card, then when they tried to fix their mistake, they created another mistake. Then when they tried to fix that (after several attempts on my part), they created yet another mistake. I personally own a business and have used other FSA processing firms (not this one, this is my wife's employer). I have NEVER seen this kind of incompetence. If you own a business or choose your FSA administrator, DO NOT USE THESE IDIOTS. Your employees will be happier.

I have never worked with a company that is so unorganized and difficult to deal with. I am administrator my company and participate in the program as well. It took me 3 months to get my employers parking money reimbursed to him. Numerous phone calls and this person tells you one thing, you do what they tell you to do and wait. Then nothing. You go online to see the status of the claim and you see it was denied. More phone calls. And more phone calls and did I mention MORE PHONE CALLS.

Finally almost 4 months later I get his claim paid. Now for myself, I purchase my transit pass and parking permit through the mail because I am on a guaranteed list for parking permits at my station. I don't give the parking vendor my WageWorks debit card to use for payment because I never know if my debit card will work. The parking vendor has a waiting list and I could get booted off the guaranteed list if my payment doesn't go through. So, I send the parking vendor a personal check which then requires me to submit a claim to WageWorks for reimbursement.

Oh, and did I mention, by purchasing my transit and parking passes through the mail I don't get a receipt. So, I have a cancelled check and copies of my passes. I submitted a regular claim for reimbursement for both February and March of 2016. I received the email confirmation that they received my claim. Then the long wait for NOTHING, no Funds reimbursed to my account. I look online and see the claims were rejected. I call them. They tell me I have to complete a "special Commuter Card Handling Form". They tell me I don't need to resubmit the backup as they have that on file, only the claim form. I submit the special form on 3/14. I sent the February and March forms on two separate e-mails.

I call the week later and am told the claims are received and take 7 business days because they are special Handling. On March 24 I see the claim from March 1 has been paid through my bank account. I call today and ask about the February 1 claim and am put on hold for over 10 minutes. The rep comes back on the line and tells me they don't have the "Commuter Card Handling Form" for February and I need to submit it. Now what do I do? Argue about it? They have me in a choke hold! And I am going to have to do this every month because my passes are purchased through the mail. I am just about ready to see how much I really save by having this pre-tax deduction and if it isn't a lot to just cancel the participation. What a mad house. Don't deal with this company if you don't have to. It is far too time consuming to get your money back if you are in a position of having to complete claim forms in order to have your benefits paid.

WageWorks continually refuses to accept official and "WageWorks" defined receipt documentation. My submittal of receipts to WageWorks, 100% aligns to WageWorks' defined guidance for receipts. Yet, WageWorks continually refuses and denies my medical, dental, and eye receipts! I have explicitly and highlighted every portion of the receipt to assist WageWorks. However, they continue to deny my receipt. Occasionally, this method works after a third attempt. However, those Bozos at WageWorks continually deny receipts... This is very annoying!

I have called and talked to WageWorks, and they have validated my funds in my account. Yet, they continually deny my benefits. I have written emails to WageWorks, but have gone unresponsive. What is a consumer to do?... We have no rights to act upon our own funds. There isn't anything a consumer can do to pull legitimate funds from WageWorks. I'm adding two official denials to this letter. In the documents, they contain information how WageWorks defines what an official and acceptable receipt should have on it. I have many other receipts similar to it, upon request I'll be more than happy to provide it.

WageWorks Company Profile