1.01/5

San Mateo, CA

366 WageWorks Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I have called several times about my pin # on my Commuter Card. The Pin issued to me at activation is invalid and would not allow me to use at ANY merchant. The first time I called they said they'd email me within 48 hours to issue me a new pin number. A week and a half later, no call, no email, no communication whatsoever. I call AGAIN and they treated my issue as if it were the first time I'd called. I told them it was ridiculous of me having to wait another so called 48 hours to alleviate my issue and was assured that it was placed as a Critical Priority. Guess what... 3 days later, no call, no email, no communication. This has been a complete waste of my time and now my funds are just sitting in my account that I can not use. Never ever use this company for any of your Employer Commuter needs!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Wage Works and the FSA is the worst company/ account/ IRS process. The time spent managing and dealing with the submission/denial/re-submission/denial/re-submission/gathering additional documents/submission/denial/gathering more additional documents from the physician and or pharmacy/submission is a nightmare, to put it lightly. Your time is better spent working an additional hour or two each month at the office to offset the funds you’d save with this account. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY OR ACCOUNT!

Get expert buying tips about Business to Business Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

This company canceled our insurance coverage because they said they never received our last two premium checks EVEN THOUGH I SENT THEM COPIES OF MY CHECKS WHICH THEY CASHED!! I called several times, was always put on hold (one time for 40 minutes) and their error continues not to be resolved. Do not do business with this company!!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

My employer was switching HR departments, I called twice to find out if this would affect my FSA, I was assured both times it would not, and I had until September 30th to use it. Today is September 14th, I had oral surgery, went to pay, my 1,515.00 is not available! They told me I had to have used it by August 18th, this is **. Someone at this company is going to pay for this! Stupid people... This company should be shut down.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

WageWorks is a complete scam. It is a means to take your money under the guise of a commuter tax-free option. What they fail to tell you is that unless you monitor your payments and claims constantly you will almost certainly fall victim of their scheme. I have been putting in $ weekly for commuting on transit. What they fail to tell you is that unless you use the funds each month in entirety they will keep the remaining funds. Don't believe their line "the funds rollover", maybe but you won't be able to actually access it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about WageWorks?

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Horrible customer service, not clear when explaining benefit, multiple missed dates of submission of paperwork that cost my family money. Took our payment and NEVER notified Caremark or Cigna we paid. (I am writing this over 27 days after payment was made.) The customer service rep would not admit to guilt.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

We work for a government agency and have to go with whatever company the low bidder of the day is. This year, it's WageWorks. That being said, we have experience with many other companies. This is by far the worst! I really feel they are doing anything they can to falsely deny claims so they can keep our money! Even though I provide them receipts with the doctor's name and date, and even a statement of who was seen, they are still denying! It's for orthodontia, so I don't even get those explanation of benefits anymore as the insurance company is DONE paying the claims, the rest is on me.

Orthodontia is a covered service. They do the same with doctor visit copays! Even though they have the receipt! I resubmitted with ALL of the BS information they wanted, and they still denied. I don't feel they should be able to have access to the actual service (what exactly the doctor appointment or dentist visit was) as this is a violation of HIPAA laws. It's none of their business what kind of service was provided, just that I was seen in a professional office for medical purposes is all they need to know! I'm contacting an attorney about this.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

No one in customer service speaks English! They never accept receipts and tell us there's not enough details. They suspend your card and then your money is locked in limbo. Do yourself a favor and don't bother getting this service! Nothing but a scam.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I just signed up for commuter benefits three months ago (NYC), and they failed to send me the second MTA card ($121 monthly unlimited). I had to spend out of $80 until they gave me the card for the next month. I never got the second card and after talking to them they refused to reimburse the $121 I spent on the card. AMAZING.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I have called at least 15 times for 4 wellness claims, I am still fighting with them as they have no clue. Everyone keeps on telling you how sorry they are that they are wasting your time. They all need training, every time you get a different answer. They also need to hire some people that speak English so then maybe you could understand what the heck they are talking about. I'm telling you worst run company ever.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

Waste of time. You put money toward this spending account card and then because you can't get a receipt from a year ago they suspend your card... I work 12 hour days, 7 days a week. I don't have time to jump through your ** hoops! So from now on you ** are getting every receipt and every piece of info I can cram up your evil **... Rot in hell!!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

New story every time you call. Swiped card at eye doctor and from experience, knew I would need to upload the detail. Part of the claim was determined to be ineligible - but every time I would call in on it for months - it would be a new amount that was ineligible and I was told each time that they would resubmit it for further explanation - that there was nothing for me to. I would then get an email notice that there was problem and I would call back in. The rep first stated that the underwriter was saying that the receipt was not legible - but the rep could read it okay??? Reuploaded a new scan of it. Then got the next notice and I called back. Rep stated now that the underwriter claimed it was because warranties are ineligible, but the amount they denied never matched the warranty amount.

This went on for months, first the amount that was ineligible was $114, then $44, then $5.24. By the time they got to $5.24, I was instructed to upload a receipt to offset it and they would clear the account - did that and then they denied that stating my receipt for 2018/2019 funds can't be used for 2017/2018. With all the calls for this claim - it was their errors which pushed this into the next period and now they insist they can't do anything due to IRS rule about timing. Supervisor was EXTREMELY rude - continually telling me to be sure in the future to call when I get the email notice that there is a problem.

I pointed her to the fact that I had done so EVERY time - don't they have records of my calls - and with each call there was confusion even by their reps on what was going on, would not let me address it directly with an underwriter and the amounts kept changing. She just kept repeating that it was my issue and that I should in the future be sure to call in. VERY UNPROFESSIONAL WOMAN - NEEDS SOME SERIOUS CUSTOMER SERVICE TRAINING.

My husband was in the room listening and we were both stunned and the circular conversation - to keep telling her that I had been calling in for months and for her to keep repeating that I should have been calling in. I did finally ask her if she was listening to me and her response was yes and I should call in the future. Unbelievable! They make you do all the work and even then they can't get it together. I have now spent over 10 hours for my card to be suspended for $5.24 - COMPLETE LACK OF COMMON SENSE AND CUSTOMER SERVICE. Unfortunately can't get out of it for this upcoming year, but will be sure not to sign back up.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

Literally every person you speak to at customer service will give you different information. If you're lucky, just additional details that would have been helpful the first 4 times you called that weren't shared. If you're not it's the literal opposite of what the prior person told you. They are the absolute worst. It's not like COBRA information is important or anything. Not only does no one know what they're doing, but the supervisor I finally spoke with did not care at all that no one knows what they're doing. She was the least helpful customer service representative I have ever dealt with. WageWorks is the absolute worst.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

If you have to reimburse a NJ Transit monthly card, try to send by email. They'll not tell you that you can do that, instead, they'll send you a form, but this is the best way. Make sure that you add a whole statement from your credit card to prove that you actually paid for your own ticket. You have two options: commuterforms@wageworks.com or paymeback@wageworksclaims.com. You then will have to wait 3 days to get an ack that they received this email. And then you have to be lucky to have them reimbursing you. In a few words, they made a very good way of giving you a very hard time to reimburse anything.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I enrolled for a 100 $ each month so that I can save some taxes. I would have saved around 150 to 200 dollars a year in Texas but it looks like I have to spend 100 hours on this and who would pay me for 100 Hours spent on this Documentation. I did not swipe my card at Movie theater or Taverns and my card was swiped at Pediatric Dentists, Chiropractor, Acupuncture, Urgent care and other Specialty doctors Offices. I uploaded all the receipts that they provided and have all been denied. So Unintuitive and Dumb!!!

Original review: July 24, 2018

I've submitted a co-pay receipt for a doctor's visit in the amount of $20.00-three times, and it was denied. I called the Customer Service 800 number and got delays, put on hold and finally escalated to a supervisor and then asked for the manager, who after 15 minutes on hold, was told s/he wasn't available. The issues concerned the lack of a date in a date of service block. HOWEVER, the receipt had the same date in 4 different areas AND the receipt even had a section "department of service" with a location AND date and time. That was still unacceptable because that block was void of a date. They're sticking to their guidelines and I was told a manager would call me within the next 24 hours.

They don't have any deductive logic, or powers of reasoning and unable to make an independent decision when the information is right in front of them and they even admitted it, but for that one empty block. Obviously CUSTOMER SERVICE is not #1, or any number, goal for this organization. The time and energy it took to try and explain the required information was ALREADY on the receipt. It would be more effective use of your time and money if you put the amount being withheld from your paycheck into a bank account and get a little interest. Based on my above experience and other challenges I've had with WageWorks, I will NOT renew the Flexible benefits program this fall.

Original review: July 23, 2018

WageWorks is not at all "user friendly" and services are VERY slow. WageWorks communications are confusing and often inaccurate. When I call to follow up on reactivation of benefits it takes forever - I paid the month of July and still not active as of today. Then they want me to contact my insurance carrier or wait 7-10 additional business days. Is not easy paying almost $700.00 a month for COBRA plus having to pay for visits while waiting for them to activate my account. Very difficult to deal with this company. I would not recommend this company to any employer.

Original review: July 20, 2018

WageWorks is not at all "user friendly". WageWorks communications are confusing and often inaccurate. My debit card has been inactivated more than once. When I call they request verification for obvious expenses such as a doctor or hospital co-pays. I received an email telling me that the balance of my account would be lost if I didn't submit claims for the prior year. They gave me approximately a two-week deadline to submit the claims. I asked them to send me a list of what they had paid, so that I would not submit duplicate claims. They sent me information for another person (a HIPAA violation for sure). When I called, they asked me to destroy the email. I told them I would do so when I received the correct information. They act as if the money is theirs, when it has been paid by me! Very difficult to deal with this company. I would not recommend this company to any employer.

Original review: July 18, 2018

WageWorks is a plan administrator for our previous employer for the months of April and May of 2018. We paid our plan as required and they have yet to update our dental coverage. I have contacted them several times in the last few weeks to get this updated and they state they have emailed eligibility yet the dental plan does not have that update. I contacted them again today with our dental company on the phone and even though the lady of the phone Katherine stated we had coverage for those months she is unable to assist with getting the eligibility department to update the dental plan. Myself and my child had dental work in those months and our dentist needs payment as the bills are now almost 3 months old.

Original review: July 17, 2018

Today is July 17, 2018. I used my WageWorks card for a prescription that I was picking up only to find the card was SUSPENDED - I called and found out that I had over $150 on the card that I could NOT use. The reason WageWorks gave me was that I had 4 outstanding receipts from 2015!! Three years AGO! Why have I not been notified about this I asked? I was never given a call by telephone, not was anything sent to me in the mail. It's ridiculous that I cannot use my own money on my card from something that is 3 years old! Get it together WageWorks, I will NEVER sign up to use this service again through my employer. I now have to go back to my dentist and my eye dr and waste some poor person's time to see if I can get these receipts. Do NOT use WageWorks. Awful!

Original review: July 15, 2018

I can only deduce that this HORRIBLE company's goal is to get COBRA users to default on their payments and thus let the employer company OFF THE HOOK! This, of course, would be illegal. Yeah, that's what I'm saying they are engaged in, ILLEGAL CANCELLATION OF COBRA. I've had the misfortune of having my COBRA administered by this company three times. I've tried paying through my online banking 10 days before the due date. I was cancelled twice because it took their accounts receivable department 10 days to process my payments! I've now resorted to paying by phone and paying for two months at a time ($2200.00) which is quite hard to afford. It worked for two payments and now I cannot get through their phone tree to make the payment? After a couple of hours of "phone play" with this idiotic company I was informed I HAD TO PAY ONLINE.

So I comply and almost three weeks later I get a letter (NOT AN EMAIL) that THEIR bank couldn't process my check! WTF? The letter gave me no mitigating information EXCEPT TO CALL WAGEWORKS! Now I have one week to make good on my premiums or I will have my health insurance CANCELLED!!! Accidents... I THINK NOT. They have many reasons to get you to drop out of COBRA. If I had to guess, they get a huge bonus if you drop out. I know their business is "COBRA administration" but I really think they are in cahoots with employers that want OLD EMPLOYEES off their premium health plans and forced onto substandard ACA insurance coverage!

Original review: July 13, 2018

My former employer was contracted with a company called, "Delta", to manage employee benefits. They were always very knowledgeable and helpful. This past year, the wonderful service and assistance provided by Delta was replaced by WageWorks. I have had many issues with WageWorks around my health plan benefits and then COBRA, after being laid off from my employer. WageWorks is clearly an offshore, third party that doesn't even understand the benefits plan or how any of the plan works. I have spent hours and hours... nearly in tears... so worried about getting medication paid for, worried about my health plan being effective, worried about the large amount of money I am paying for COBRA being appropriately accounted for. It has been scary and upsetting.

Finally, after getting a new job with benefits, I was able to cancel the COBRA I had when discontinuing the benefits from my former employer who had contracted with WageWorks. My new plan was effective June 1. I had already paid for COBRA for June 2018 as I was so worried there would be mishandling of the paperwork and I'd not be covered. I have monthly health care needs and cannot afford to have a break in coverage. Mind you, this is issue ten or so of my problems I've had with WageWorks. This is just my final issue (hopefully). They are NOT refunding me the money I had paid for June COBRA despite that I am covered under my new employer. They have NO answers (unless you count the crazy answer they gave me about their client (my former employer) may not have funds available for WageWorks to refund me.) HUH?

They try to get away with repeating the same non-answers, "We are going to talk to our finance department to see why your refund hasn't been processed." Key thing to note here is that WageWorks states they are looking at my account history (something I can no longer do since I am no longer paying for COBRA) but they cannot tell me anything about what has happened with my account. I am so frustrated, after months of dealing with this awful company, I finally looked at reviews and saw "Top 343 complaints about WageWorks". At least I got a laugh. I read many of the complaints and they are aligned with the type of service and help I have gotten.

The worse part of this is, as employees, we don't have a choice who our employer contracts with to manage our benefits. Therefore, our only recourse is to write reviews and hope employers are aware just how bad this scam artist organization really is. I beg of all companies... DO NOT USE WAGEWORKS!!! It's money down the drain. Your employees will be left upset, in tears, unable to access their benefits or their FSA accounts. This company is awful. I was unemployed, paying so much money for COBRA and I still had to pay for my medications out of pocket because WageWorks hadn't processed my COBRA properly. I can't believe that this organization gets away with this type of stuff. I would imagine benefit management is highly regulated. I know this review is just a long rant and one of hundreds. But... I'd rather be a drop in the bucket of the truth about WageWorks, than not say anything at all.

Original review: July 12, 2018

This Customer support team should be fired and replace them with more competent team. My experience with this team was awful and unprofessional. The company should do something with that if they want to be in business. Every time I call to solve my FSA validation, I get a different response and some BS arguments. The last time talking to someone Paul, he didn't know on how to help on the FSA validation and had me on hold for 20 minutes so he can learn or train himself on what BS answer to give me. When I was persistent to figure out why I can't straight answer and resolve my problem, he hung up on me. So much for the recording that you hear in the beginning that they are recording for quality purpose. Are they serious?

I think they use my money for their salaries and I expect a professional response and resolution of my issues. Based on that they should take care any issues with the providers NOT ME. The only thing that I need to do is to swipe the card at for approved medical services and medicines. THEY HAVE TO CONTACT THE PROVIDERS AND ASK DETAILS NOT ME. THAT'S WHY I PAY THEM. If I knew the rating that the WageWorks had in this site, I would never used them. Next time I will make sure that I will not use this company for my flex account. I spend more time, money and frustration of using this company than the savings would benefit from a flex account. Now I understand the brand name when they use "WageWorks Everyone Benefits", the benefits is not for everyone but only for WageWorks.

Original review: July 12, 2018

I have been attempting to get reimbursed from my dependent childcare account since May 19. I have called 18 times, and the HR department from my employer has called 5 times. I have submitted proper documentation and the money is in my account, yet I never receive reimbursements funds. I keep being told there is an internal inquiry each time I call and never make any progress. I have asked to speak to supervisors who tell me they cannot share an employer number or last name.

Several times I have been told there is a problem on my employer’s end related to us leaving the company January 1, 2017 and returning January 1, 2018. Each time my employer has called and is told everything looks great. I have asked to speak to someone who can help me and am told I cannot. I expect immediate disbursements of these funds, exceeding $1500 for the year already. I have been dealing with dependent childcare reimbursements for 12 years and it has always been positive. This is horrible, and I need it resolved immediately.

Original review: July 11, 2018

My card is being restricted for use due to receipts not received. Why are they paying receipts if they don't have them. I've sent copies and my card is still hijacked. Paying out of pocket while I have money in my account. Automated system is as useless as the "human" once you're finally able to get one. They have no answers to the questions even though they can verify receipts have been sent again and again. Pretty typical of a government program. Take your money and won't use it as intended and hire customer service reps from another country that can barely speak English. Guess I'll be ripped off as this money is lost if not used.

Original review: July 10, 2018

I have had many insurance plans and FSA's to go with them. I previously had WageWorks and was always surprised at how they required receipts for far more things than other plan managers. I am once again back on a WW FSA and they are requiring a receipt for nearly every transaction including those most basic $15.00 copays to a doctor where it's very clearly an allowable expense. Not only that, they require a full EOB to be printed out and submitted! Are you kidding me? It's a COPAY. I'm sure they must run actuarial tables that show they pay out less with the more painful administrative requests that they can make before paying the claim. This place is just dirty.

Original review: July 2, 2018

I have a dependent care and flexible spending account given through my employer that elects to take a certain amount from my pay each month to pay for medical and dependent care (day care) expenses. For the last month I have submitted claims for payment directly to my childcare provider... And they have rejected each one because they didn't like the format of the invoice. Now my childcare is in jeopardy of not accepting my child because they did not receive the payment. I called again, after submitting another invoice, and was told they have to wait for a computer to write checks... And they have no human that can handle requests or problems. This company says they are in Kentucky but each service representative has a thick accent and fails to understand the issues or have the ability to actually problem solve. This is an issue as I need child care to be able to go to work. Customer service fail.

Original review: June 29, 2018

After a series of infuriating calls with WageWorks, and their denial of my every claim, I believe this company is in the business of intentionally keeping hard-working consumers from their money. Do they get some sort of kickback for every dollar not paid? The debit card we received from them is worthless. It has been denied four times at four different medical offices. The expenses in question were all “deductible expenses.” Each time I was told that my account had a balance of $0, even though the WageWorks website said my account balance was several thousand and I had filed no other claims. I called after the first and second tries with the card and both times the entirely disinterested representative said it was a fluke and they would fix the problem. They didn’t. It still doesn’t work.

Next, I filed an email claim. Rejected — account balance $0. I called. “We will reprocess it.” Again, rejected. Account balance $0. “File a paper claim and attach your healthcare EOB.” I did, being careful to follow the instructions to the letter. Rejected. I called. “The claim was for a prescription” (which isn’t reimbursable). Not only was the claim not for a prescription, the word “prescription” is not anywhere on the 10-page EOB I sent. I then spoke with a supervisor (who refused to provide me with his last name and number). He said, “Oh. OK. We’ll reprocess it.” Sure you will.

I intend to strongly urge the Human Resources Director to drop WageWorks and encourage others to do the same. There are a staggering number of consumer complaints against them, not to mention the class action lawsuits by shareholders. This is one of the worst experiences I have ever had with a health-care or health-care related company.

Original review: June 28, 2018

Overseas calling center when calling US number, and will not transfer to the domestic US. Would not transfer to manager. Kept putting me on hold...over an hour and cut off twice. I looked for other numbers to voice complaint and you cannot reach them by phone. They have an address you can write to...that’s it. They emailed then shut off card and access to MY money. The whole FSA set up is such a waste of resources further driving up health care costs. Wage Works responsiveness to customer need has brought us to a new low. I will be sure to NOT invest in this company nor ever use them. This is truly a pitiful company only interested in their own profit. Service is so sub par that there is no possible ranking.

Original review: June 27, 2018

Never received card, still charged $363. WageWorks misaddressed my envelope three months in a row (with a call from me each time asking them to fix it), and at the end they say they are unable to reimburse you for the amount you spent with them, only for other transportation expenses. Basically if you don't get your card in the mail, you are out of luck, and they are sending hundreds of dollars every month through uncertified general mail with all the risk on the end use.

WageWorks Company Information