San Mateo, CA

1.7/5 (849 ratings)
Find a Business Services partner

Need business insurance? We got you.

See quotes from top insurers on Simply Business

Get my quote

About WageWorks

Need business insurance? We got you.

See quotes from top insurers on Simply Business

Get my quote

WageWorks Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about WageWorks?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about WageWorks?

Original review: Sept. 15, 2022

Terrible company with a terrible website. Agents cannot explain anything. I have lost 1-1/2 months of commuter benefits and they cannot explain why I was kicked out of the monthly renewal of my commuter card. I missed the re-order date by 5 days (I had not realized that I had been removed from auto-renewal) and there was nothing the company could do. I spoke with two different agents and they kept giving me conflicting information and plenty of apologies (which did not help at all! Bad! Bad! Bad!

Original review: July 20, 2022

I use Wagework for my FSA account. I contributed $2600 during the year under my insurance plan. Last day to access the funds was 7/15/2022, I had $103.78 left In my FSA account when suddenly I was locked out from making any purchases. I contacted their customer service and spoke with Teofina, Helbert and Jasmine and they all gave me different excuses that I had reached the maximum transactions per day.

The only way I can get that $103.78 back was if I paid out of pocket for an eligible fsa item and submit a claim for reimbursement. I did that and bought a blood pressure monitor for $103. I contacted wageworks again and spoke to Blessie and Christina and this time they are refusing to reimburse the $103 and saying that I didn't have receipts for earlier payments that were made to healthcare providers. Clear theft of funds, unprofessional service!

Get buying tips about Business to Business Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 13, 2022

Very difficult to work with and navigate; Trust all these negative reviews you are reading here, they are truthful. For whatever reason Wageworks also goes by the name of HealthEquity, making it deliberately confusing for its users. They also require Un-userfriendly Passwords and attachment requirements.

Original review: April 14, 2022

I signed up for commuter benefits with this company. It was the only choice offered by employer. Otherwise I would not have done it. With my previous employer I was the contact person with them and had bad experience. I was really hoping they had gotten better. Unfortunately, it was the opposite. They made a mistake and reversed my Transit and my Parking funds. For 2 years, I called hundreds of time, trying to have this fixed. And obviously during that time I did not use any of the benefits, since cards did not work as supposed. After 2 years, my employer decided to terminate the contract, and I called WageWorks immediately to inquire what happens to my funds. I was told I have 90 days to used those. At that point my funds were still not reversed, so I could not use them.

I had to call 5 more times to make sure this happens. Eventually, I was told all is fine, but will take effect on the 1st next month (that was when the contract terminated, but I was Ok since I believed I still had 90 days). I received a confirmation letter about the 90 days. To my surprise, 1st came and my card still did not work. Another round of countless calls and waits.....Receiving different answer every time...And if I requested a supervisor, I was told they are not available... And most importantly, I was suddenly told my funds are forfeited???!! Because I did not have 90 days....I am not even telling further...You get the picture...

Somehow, I found an address for some complaint commission with this company. No number, so I wrote a detailed letter. I almost gave up, but they did call. The lady I spoke to, was quite arrogant informing me I have lost my $213 and there is nothing I can do. I did not have 90 days and that is it. When I pointed out it was not my fault they did not fix their own mistake..She tried to convince me it was my mistake!?!? At that point I was speechless. She referred to some of my countless calls, taken out very selectively and out of context.. So shortly, unprofessional, incompetent, rude, providing not benefits, rather losses to employees.

Original review: March 20, 2022

Due to changing jobs I needed to elect Cobra insurance for a few months until my new job's insurance would cover me. I cancelled my plan, or so I thought, in December of 2021. Everything online shows terminated coverage however I keep getting mail from them about coverage from a different account number than my original account paperwork. They are unable to find out what is going on with the accounts and where the new account came from.

Original review: March 16, 2022

Just here to echo the hundreds of reviews regarding the abysmal service this company provides. I paid my COBRA premium and they dragged their feet to notify my health insurance despite the fact that I made my payment ahead of time and the money was taken out of my account right away. The reps give you all kinds of excuses then offer to open a case but then you get notified by email that the case has been closed but they don't provide any kind of resolution. I contacted the Department of Labor and they took my information and instructed me to contact my former employer, as they are ultimately the people who hired this company to manage the plan. The rep from the DOL was super informative and helpful and said that if my former employer didn't get this issue resolved they would be able to step in to help. Sure enough my issue was resolved within the hour. So, if anyone is giving you the runaround, contact the DOL and report them.

Original review: March 10, 2022

This business needs to be shut down. If there was an option for negative stars, I would give them that. They have been holding our money and will not allow us access. They send us debit cards, but they are declined for every transaction. Nobody seems to know how to fix it.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2022

This company is a scam -- I preload money from each paycheck onto their card which gets declined every day. I call and no one has an answer, and half the time they're annoyed I call and just hang up. I've been trying to cancel my card and no one can figure out how to cancel it. I am SHOCKED that no one has sued them yet, and SHOCKED they are still in business. The only reason I use them is because my employer uses them. They have a 1.5 overall star rating on every review board you can find. THEY ARE AWFUL!!!!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2022

Sometimes they reimburse you, sometimes they don't. There is no consistency, they don't read through submitted receipts thoroughly. They mess up your claims and make it impossible to unravel. You spend hours on hold and it hangs up on you. It becomes impossible to get your money reimbursed that they took out of your paycheck all year for your employee programs. Essentially you give the company a 0% interest rate loan on your money all year and then you can't get it reimbursed without haggling for hours on the phone.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2022

After seeing the 1.8 star rating for WageWorks I feel a bit better. I thought it was just my personal experience with them. I have used FSA for almost 25 years for my family. I joined a new company last year and have to use Wage Works for the first time. It has never been harder to get to my own money! How does this business model work? Just like cable and phone companies, they make it extremely hard to use. However, it is much easier to downgrade your cable package than to get your account unlocked for a $3 receipt.

The signup process is the most cumbersome and slowest I have ever experienced. I had to request a code and it takes long to come in. Then they add a very short timer on this process so you probably have to repeat it a few times before you finally get it right. You can open 5 bank accounts in the same time of opening an FSA account at WageWorks (again, to get to your own money).

Second, why do you need a login and a separate pin code every single time you open the app on your phone? This is not a swiss bank account with $5 billion dollars in it. It is another way to discourage to reimburse your money. Just like other customers are experiencing, claims are denied (and your account frozen) even if you literally provide all the requested information. No feedback, nothing. Just go back online to check the status, hopefully you forget about it! Then try to get someone on the phone to help you.

They now merged with HealthEquity, the new site isn't much better. You'll have to sign up all over again and it is just as cumbersome. For example, if you have all information from the employer, why do you ask me to fill in a work zip code again? It is small thing but it shows how they're out of touch. The FSA store is another thing where you need to sign up for. I was out of time (it literally took 1.5 hours) and out of patience to try this. I think it is terrible that companies that are getting paid to provide a service are doing the opposite.

WageWorks Company Information