WageWorks

San Mateo, CA

Compare Business Services

Research top Business Services recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

They audit almost every transaction that I use this account for. This requires calling the billing offices for every doctor, dentist, lab, etc. to get additional documentation to fax to these idiots. I could understand auditing a charge at Amazon or eBay but every time I go to the doctor or have lab work done...I'm fed up with their BS and will not renew it for next year. The little bit of savings is not worth the frustration.

Had WageWorks for 4 years now. The employees don't understand their own system. The only way to benefit from Wage Works is to figure out their system and explain it to the employees step by step. I think Wage Works is the number one worst company I have ever dealt with in my entire life. Every problem is a futile exercise in frustration and incompetence. Orders on the 10th, deposits on the 15th. Most of the employees don't know that, or they reverse it.

It's basically to the point where I'd recommend anyone just pay the extra money as these people aren't worth your time. Every. Single. Call. is a black hole of misery and incompetence. Plus, they don't have any records of what was said in the past so guess what happens if your order is mixed up and you call in a second time? They have no record of what was said before. Spend a little extra money and save yourself the life-shortening stress of interacting with these terrible people.

In my work experience, my claims have been processed by five benefits administrators. While some were slow, none have shown more blatant disregard of customer claims and stalled off payment longer than WageWorks. The WageWorks crooks do this purposefully to increase their profits. They exploit their customers using a policy of checking each charge for a reason to freeze use of their Bancorp Bank issued VISA. While they keep the customer away from his or her money, WageWorks can earn dividends by investing that money as if it were their own. This should be larceny and the WageWorks thieves should be in jail. Anyone can do a simple search on "WageWorks complaint" and find a thousand reasons to run instead of walk away from these scammers. The claims in each story are similar.

The victim enters an agreement with his employer to have pre-tax earnings withheld to pay healthcare expenses using a Bancorp Bank issued VISA card. At some point WageWorks freezes use of the card, forcing the victim to file paper forms which can be claimed are lost. In my own experience, the Bancorp Bank issued VISA charge card was deactivated by WageWork thieves just two months following initial activation, which was six months ago. They have virtually stolen my $600.00 over an "unexplained" $9.70 charge for which the receipt has been uploaded to them over their site four times. Do the math. If the swindlers at WageWorks can freeze $500.00 in funds from each of only 200,000 victims for four months and invest the money at one percent per month, that could net $12 Million annually. Who believes that this is NOT a prime motivator for felons at WageWorks to stall off paying claims?

Before my retirement date, I was told (by WageWorks Customer Service) to wait until the following month to submit for parking reimbursement (the money shows available in my Wageworks account) but they now say they won't reimburse to anyone no longer employed. How much money do they keep that doesn't belong to them? I have now been told that they just keep the money and there's nothing I can do. This company is either very poorly run or a scam.

WageWorks is a joke! Starting in 2016, they have requested several times for proof of transactions for medical services. I provided requested info. Then, when I received the request for proof again maybe one or two were removed from list. They accept one, not the others? I've been keeping fax confirmations, each letter for proof of transactions along with proof of payment. The same ones I've been submitting started November 2016 and here it's the end of July 2017 and still can't get anywhere. I highly discourage anyone from using Wage Works!!

My husband cancelled out our account with them due to all the BS and poor miscommunication on their part. To go through health issues and having to deal with all this is insane. We've had a HSA before and it wasn't' WAGE WORKS. The previous HSA company was a gem with great customer service. They handled our money like it was their own. Wage Works is a JOKE. Terrible!! I've begged them in my cover letter to pick up the phone and call me to get this resolved and has fallen to deaf eyes and ears. So, today I've sent another fax with requested info, updated cover letter and filing this online with same attached proof. Now, let's see what happens.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about WageWorks?

I retired in May of 2017, closed my Metro-North account. I have a refund due. Metro North sent Wage works: (my train account) 06/30/2017 Refund 06/2017 $479.72 ($479.72). 06/29/2017 Wage Funds 06/2017 $479.72. I have called many times and they will not refund my money. They say they are checking it… Metro North has done their part WageWorks has not. It's now 7-19-2017. Just spoke to Christopher and still no money... I guess they just keep it. I was told July 5, they will process. They lie, lie, lie... WageWorks, Metro North is fine…

WageWorks was the flex spending account company that was used through my old work place (HCA). Shortly after resigning from my position with the company I began receiving statements stating that my receipts that I had entered online were "denied". I had the option to try to resend and/or upload the receipts online or just pay the amount "in question" to WageWorks. I wrote them a check. Now, literally, a year later I am receiving an email from WageWorks saying I have more balances I need to pay off because the receipts I had uploaded were "denied" for whatever reason. I have no words. I am shocked companies like this can exist and potential mess up my (VERY GOOD credit score) by reporting this to the IRS if I don't pay them more money. Not sure what to do here.

Since March 2017, I have called WageWorks customer service over a dozen times seeking answers. In addition, I have emailed WageWorks on multiple occasions and I sent a FAX. I have $1,500 in a FSA and I am trying to obtain the method to access MY MONEY. Every rep I spoke with assured me that yes, I do have a FSA w/ $1,500.00 and I have until 30 Apr 2018 to utilize but not one of my correspondence attempts resulted in WageWorks providing me with specific directions to utilize MY money. After researching, I found that WageWorks has an Executive Escalation Team but guess what? WageWorks will not provide a means to contact them.

It is misleading and fraudulent to advertise these services without also providing a means to correspond with them. The lack of clarity, consistency and transparency offered by WageWorks is appalling. I would like to find out what authority presides over WageWorks or what Government entity resides over them so that an official report/complaint can be filed and if possible, an investigation launched. It has to be criminal/illegal to deduct money from a customer's paycheck under the guise of an FSA and then not allow the customer to access said funds. Or make it so insanely confusing and impossible to access funds that the customer gives up. The amount of time I have donated to WageWorks looking for an extremely basic and simple answer is nauseating unbelievable.

I'm really getting the run-a-round from WageWorks. I did not have any trouble at Benefit Concepts. First they couldn't read the paymeback claim form. I was not informed until I called. Then they said they needed a contract letter from UHC. I had to call to find out. Now you say that this letter can't find its way to the original claim docs? This whole scenario has consumed 3 months of wasted time and agita. Somebody should be fired for incompetence. I as most people I know, I do not have faxing capabilities. Your only email capabilities reside in Facebook. But you are unable to put this missing document with the original claim. Catch 22. Yes but the question is how can you do business w/o email. FAX is dead-didn't you get the memo? I can't even send this message to you quickly-I must use snail mail. Ridiculous in this day and age!!

I want to begin by explaining my situation. I have Stage IV colon cancer with metastatic disease to my liver, so my health insurance is a necessity to my survival. The reason for my review is the inefficient process and lack of knowledge of employees at WageWorks. I have been lied to due to either lack of training given to WageWorks employees or due to the fact that they really do not care which has been obvious through my whole experience.

WageWorks requires you when changing over to Cobra to fill out an enrollment form, which is sent to a Kentucky office. You can fax it, but it takes according to WageWorks, 3-5 days to process. They lost mine. The payment is required to be sent to the Chicago office which takes another 3-5 days. They do not take debit cards. Then you wait another 3-5 days for the enrollment form and the payment to catch up to each other. After paying three payments of over $2100.00 since April 29th, plus calling every three days, it is June 22 and they have yet to reactivate my insurance. I called WageWorks on June 19th and was told my insurance company would be notified the following day. Thursday, June 22, I again called my insurance company to make sure they were notified. They were never notified, so I again called WageWorks.

I was told by WageWorks, that the employee I spoke to on June 19th, was new and never followed through in notifying my insurance. I was then asked if I had a life threatening disease, which I do not think should have anything to do with the lack of efficiency of the company in providing service to any paying customer. Again, I was told that the "supervisor" in charge would put my request through today, June 22, by 2 pm. I asked the employee the supervisor’s name, but she stated she did not know her name. Really? So I am currently waiting until 2 p.m., to follow up with my insurance that they received notification. My confidence is not high. Life has been stressful enough with my health, chemotherapy and day to day living without the added stress of this whole ordeal.

And it is true what others have commented on... WageWorks does not notify you other than by mail. So… If your mail is lost or you do not receive the notification in time due to any delay in the mail, WageWorks will simply cancel your insurance rather than using two avenues of communication. So… Why do they need my email? What a nightmare this has been!! In our high tech world, WageWorks is still using obsolete, primitive bookkeeping with poorly trained employees.

My card has been suspended a total of 4 times now. Twice in 2016 and twice in 2017. They say it's because they don't have receipts. So now I can't use my card with my money on it because my school district decided to use this company. I guess it's because they were the cheapest. Hundreds of teachers have the same problem. I called to find out why my card was being denied all 4 times and the answer was the same each time. Receipts they need. Why don't they have them? They are lying and just interrupting people's lives. I am an insulin dependent diabetic and would appreciate dealing with a competent company. They have my current email address, but intentionally sends me emails about the card being denied to an email address that I haven't used in 20 years. This is a genuine complaint, not fake, have gone through this 4 times now and will have to go to the BBB next. I have already complained to my school district.

I seriously hate when I have to call customer service! I was trying to find out a simple answer and the NON-ENGLISH speaking agent, kept saying she will put me "on a brief 2-3 minute hold", and each time she'd come back, she had an answer to something I didn't ask. I finally asked for a supervisor, and I literally just hung up, without speaking to the supervisor. I Was on hold for 18 minutes while I'm at work! This service is unacceptable and it's always been this way. I'm really tempted to just stop this and cut my losses. I don't have the time or energy to deal with this HORRIBLE customer service. Jeeze!

I am experiencing the same issues many are here. The card for medical services is being declined. I submit a receipt for a valid expense such as hospital parking. It states it's the hospital parking garage with exact date and time of hospital visit. They paid the hospital visit but not my parking. Asked me to resubmit claim, denied again stating insufficient information because the receipt does not have my NAME on it. What parking receipt is going to have your NAME on it! Now I'm dealing with the same on a dental crown work. They told me they would get receipt directly from Dr. Then now they are asking for itemized proof.

Person on phone contradicts earlier person. I just keep getting the runaround and I have over 1900 that If I don't use I will lose. I think there's some type of fraud hoping they will keep people's funds so I pay twice! Over the counter glasses are allowed, but they won't reimburse either 'cause they state receipts must have the person's name on it. They encourage me to use the FSA store but when you look at the prices they are higher than if you purchased them at Walmart or Amazon, but they won't reimburse for items that qualify and you pay more with their site. This is MY MONEY!!! What part of this isn't fraud?

In the 6 months since WageWorks began managing benefit premiums for my employer they have repeatedly failed to mail accurate and timely statements. The first month I received 4 separate statements from WageWorks, with one showing an incorrect amount due. I made several calls & spent lots of time on the phone talking to representatives who were completely unable to assist me. I asked for a supervisor & held about 15 minutes before being told no one was available. I asked to have a supervisor call me, waited a week & never got a response. Now for 2 months I have not received a statement. They are jeopardizing my benefits because if I fail to make a payment, I will lose my benefits. This company is incompetent to handle employee benefits and the customer service they provide is subpar.

My husband's employer provides medical insurance and a provider of FSA debit card accounts. Also, we elected a HSA for our insurance option this year, so this card through WageWorks is our only means of accessing our medical funds. Any time you use the card, they ask over and over again for the receipt. As soon as they want a receipt, they put your account on hold and won't let you access your healthcare money. Trying to phone them is futile, as they cannot locate your account by your name, social security number, employer name or employee ID number. How in the heck are we supposed to get OUR MONEY THAT WE'VE HAD TAKEN FROM MY HUSBAND'S PAYCHECK TO PAY FOR OUR MEDICAL CARE? This company should be investigated. I'm considering seeking an attorney. Look at the reviews of this company. My situation is not uncommon.

I took my husband for an MRI this morning - we checked our available spending account. It was declined! I spoke to Christina, Greyson and Candice (supervisor - with no authority or power to assist!!!). We found out that our account was suspended due to not submitting a prior payment receipt for dermatology. This part is fine except we never received a notification that they needed receipts. They sent an email to my husband's work email and he has no access to it unless he is at work. (Email was sent on May 27th. He's been out of work since.) I refuse to accept that in this age they did not call, email other email addresses they have on file, send a notice to our address. We were so frustrated and had to pay $200 out of pocket. WageWorks: I will write to every state agency about you until you change your methods of business.

I have had the the same issues as most of the reviews as others when it comes to verifying my transactions. I will no longer use my WageWorks card. I will use my personal card, collect my cash back, deduct my mileage when I submit my receipts online and will not have to worry about digging up past receipts. I would like to say what I really think about WageWorks but then my review would not be seen.

Today I received a letter that my COBRA was cancelled due to not making a payment in time. Even though WageWorks has both my wife and my email we received no reminder, nor did I get a letter reminder. When I called WageWorks, they said there is a 30 day appeal process to get re-instated. So with insurance what am I supposed to do, hope I don't get any catastrophic illness in the next 30 days? I think the only alternative is to get other insurance while WageWorks processes my appeal. This is like if you are late with a car payment the car company takes away your car and says there is a 30 day appeal period if you want it back.

In today's computer world WageWorks sends you a set of coupons to send in to pay for COBRA. I haven't used coupons in years. I thought I had set up direct payment but made a mistake - note if anyone has Cobra with WageWorks don't forget to do this. Companies that don't allow for human error, or issue reminders which are free emails in this computer age, need to be corrected.

It is almost too painful to relate the amount of time I spend making copies and PDF's of receipts and EOB's for every medical appointment paid using my Wageworkers card. And while waiting for these to be processed (and rejected and submitted again, etc), I can't even use the card because they put a hold on it. SO much hassle that I truly will consider abandoning the effort altogether.

I'm trying to purchase a much needed piece of medical equipment that is Flex Spending approved! But every medical supply store that I go to that offers it, I get a rejection for the WageWorks Visa authorization! WHY??? I have plenty of money on it! The equipment is approved and I don't need a M.D. Prescription so why then??? I even found it on a major medical equipment manufacturer website so I can purchase it directly from them and I still unable to. WageWorks says I have to pay the $100.00 upfront and they will reimburse me. Well, so sorry, I'm not rich and don't have a $100.00 on hand! Plus isn't that the whole reason for a Flex Spend account??

My card was suspended as they need verification of the transaction. Team member told me I have to submit receipt for past 8 years receipts, I was upset as I didn't have records from past 8 years, I talked to her boss Velma, she apologized that her team member gave me wrong info, they only need receipt for one transaction that happen in Aug 2016. Agents think it is ok to question people about their privacy, this company is going way out of the limit, I have to explain, what health issue I have, what service was provided and the bill. They take way too long to go back and forth to talk to supervisors, I was not able to eat lunch as whole time I was explaining my health details to the agent, on the top now my whole staff know what health issues I have and I have to explain same thing over and over.

I was told by Velma, to fax and asked to submit pay me back form so I can use rest of my FSA balance on $182. This morning I called them to get the form, Shanies, told me I can't fill the form as I missed the deadline, then I said I want to talk to Velma as she gave me that info, or her supervisor, her supervisor didn't talk to me but told her to let me know I have time until April 30, 2018. I confirmed twice, that I can still claim, by pay me back form until April 30, 2018 for the claim of 2016. She said yes, then she transfer me to other department for commuter benefit. Shanies also lie to me. The she have no way to order a FSA card for me and my Dependent.

One after another I keep getting wrong information with the results of nothing. I don't trust the company, as they all give different answers. I will say it is not Shanie's mistake, she should not be in a trouble because she was not trained well. She shouldn't have to go back and forth to her Boss, Her boss should have handled the escalation issue. That's what the managers are for.

After pending 1 hour 10 min I was able to talk to supervisor Janice site 102 reference no **. She saw the notes how many times I called them and who did I talked. She apologized, that people gave me wrong info, that's why now I missed the deadline. She at least listen to me, used empathy statement, didn't give me wrong hopes. She told me, she personally will try to see if she can resolve the issue.

Let's see if they can take ownership of the mistakes they make and bend their rules to help someone who is already going through tough time and health issues. If multiple people are giving me wrong info, some this wrong with the upper management, that they are not training their team or they don't take ownership to help customers. Bad customer service, I will file complaint with Better Business Bureau if they don't help me.

I hate to call customer service for Wageworks. 1st of all you get some call center in the Philippines, 2nd they WON'T give you a phone number for Wageworks US. 3rd you can NOT understand them. I got this card to help with medical bills. But this company is more problem than their worth!!!

I would give them a -10 (negative 10) if I could. They do not have email, they do not have any option for contacting them on their website. They suspended my card, but I sent the receipt FOUR times!!!!! Worst business in America!!!

WageWorks is attempting by all means possible to keep almost $400 I paid into my Flex Spending plan in 2016. Despite clear instructions to the contrary they attribute the claims I submit for 2016 into my 2017 account even though I am submitting legitimate carryover claims for 2016. They deny claims from my primary care provider who is a licensed physician and a preferred provider under my insurance claiming she is an "alternative healer". I have sent more messages than I can count: emails, FAX, secure messages on their website trying to resolve this issue to no avail.

It is clear that Wage Works is trying to keep the money I paid into my account for themselves. They engage in fraudulent and illegal business practices. I am reporting them to my employer, the Federal Government. I need help from BBB as well as this mammoth company believes they can get away with stealing money from individuals they see as powerless to do anything about them.

DESIRED OUTCOME: Refund the money owed back to me that I deposited into my 2016 FSA FEDS Flex Spending Plan. Honor the 2016 claims I submitted. Pay the legitimate claims submitted for licensed medical provider. Stop attributing the claims I have submitted for 2016 to my 2017 FSA FEDS account. Stop ignoring my protests. Stop trying to steal my money.

I had a medical procedure, colonoscopy, performed quarter four of 2016. Not all bills clear the insurance right away and so when I submitted the bills I got in January-ish, they were denied because the procedure was in 2016. What!? So, when I asked why that was important, I was so rudely treated that I couldn't even reply.

How is it that these people stay in business??? I do appreciate this benefit, but it has to make some sort of common sense! I have talked five people out of using this benefit because all WageWorks does is say no! So, I'm stuck with $103.64 for the doctor and $364.71 for the anesthesiologist that I submitted, they denied, and won't even tell me what the protest procedure is! It's time to start some form of protest. It's difficult when Wageworks takes the service out of a service company!

After 8 years of decent service, this year more than ruins the experience. Have sent multiple FSA claims and am now down to 1 claim. After sending in the last medical claim, the claims department said they needed to know the procedure performed. Excuse me, you want what? I so wanted to tell them my wife had some sexual issue and to describe it in detail, then asked if that was sufficient information for the procedure performed. I understand the need to document and follow Hitler rules, oops, IRS rules but please. What procedure was performed... Please.

I've been denied 6 times no (dentist 3, Orthopedic Surgeon, Chiropractor). What am I going to get at the orthopedic surgeon, new tires for my truck?? I've provided everything they needed for my dentist (two crowns) and they've denied it AGAIN for the 3rd time! This company denies and holds onto MY money as if it’s theirs. I've contacted my HR department and am hoping to get rid of these unscrupulous wretches soon.

Calling them is a complete joke as mentioned in ALL of the other posts, they’re either incompetent (no fault of their own, the company hired them like that) and read from scripts and many times it’s very hard to understand them. I've found one of their physical location, so maybe I’ll have better luck talking to these knuckleheads in person. 4609 Regent Blvd, Irving, TX 75063. Corporate 1100 Park Pl # 4, San Mateo, CA 94403. Phone: (650) 577-5359. A subsidiary http://transitcenter.org/.

Like others, I have dealt with WageWorks through my employer. I've worked for flexible spending account companies so I know the laws and requirements. WageWorks might not be breaking the law technically, but they are utterly unethical. My flexcard doesn't work at the dentist, the doctor, the eye doctor, nor urgent care, yet it works at the grocery store and Costco. Seriously? When I complain, they say the merchant code on the dentist, the doctor, the eye doctor and urgent care are wrong and could be used for cosmetic reasons. Okay, the ENT specialists, maybe, but nothing else. For kicks and giggles, I went to every vendor that had been denied and got the vendor codes (not overly easy but not that hard either). Especially concerning was ALL the doctors said that other FSA cards were accepted.

I looked up their merchant codes and ALL of them should be allowed (General Dentistry, urgent medical care facility, optometry, etc.). When I brought this to their ignorant attention, they said, "well, WageWorks doesn't accept them". Because you're too stupid or lazy? I don't like using the word stupid and try to generally give people the benefit of the doubt, but these people are so arrogant and condescending. They basically said I didn't know what I was talking about and when I quoted them the law and statutes, I was hung up on. Called back (no one hangs up on me) and got through to a supervisor, after five minutes, got hung up on again. Did I mention NO ONE hangs up on me? Called and got a different supervisor who "noted that into my account". Liar. But that's not the worst.

My flexible spending account is for money I set aside for expected medical expenses for the year or a special procedure (dental implant or lasik, etc). I get to choose when and where I use the money. But not with WageWorks. Oh no, they allow INSURANCE COMPANIES TO MAKE CLAIMS ON MY BEHALF. I had a dental procedure done that went through the insurance. The insurance company contacted WageWorks and they cut a check for what the insurance company wouldn't cover. Excuse me, NO, this is MY account. The big issue is that I believe the insurance company did not cover the amount they should have. However, because it was charged against my FSA, it looks like I am willing to pay the rest out of pocket. So I can't argue with the insurance company that they did not cover their full amount.

Second, this is MY MONEY. I was saving it for something later in the year and now, poof, it's gone because WageWorks lets SOMEONE ELSE make a claim on MY ACCOUNT. I have called and spoken with "customer service" and told them to NEVER, EVER do that again. And yet they do. I have yelled at them so many times, when they deny my card, they just send me a check for what they denied. Again, NO CLAIM WAS EVER PUT IN BY ME, THE ACCOUNT HOLDER. I know that at least I am getting paid, and true, I am getting money out of my account, but it is still insanely unethical if not downright illegal. I carefully plan out my FSA and their "policy" of allowing other to make claims on my behalf is just wrong.

While it's nice to know I've scared them so much, it still doesn't make it right. I have told them for THREE YEARS that the only person to make a claim on my account is ME, not the insurance company and not their weeny account servicers. But they are blind, deaf, and dumb. It is ridiculous that they do not have contact information on their website. Even after you log in, there's no contact info. I have complained to our local HR person and have gotten nowhere. The head people are out of State and look at cost first. Fine, I get it, anything having to do with insurance and medical is expensive, but using this company is an insult to your employees. WageWorks should not be in business and should forfeit all the forfeitures they have collected over the years.

My company uses WageWorks for my dependent care account. My daycare has been submitting duplicate claims on the same payment. I am reporting her to IRS. Wageworks is approving the first claim and partially approving the duplicate. I have spoken with 5 representatives to inquire why they are allowing this; each call having to repeat my complaint because no one has noted the account of my call. I was told they will contact the provider and they have not. When I ask to speak with a supervisor they all refuse, keeping me on hold 20-30 min and promising call backs and email they don't keep. They don't care about the customer. I will be reporting them to BBB, IRS and my company benefits coordinator.

Unreal experience. I wanted to love WageWorks commuter benefits program, but my experience with their overseas customer call center has nixed that. They were unable to answer any basic question, and unable to connect me to a manager. I tried contacting them via Facebook and could only connect with a representative every few hours. It seems like they only check it once a day. I've been told there are no direct lines, or email addresses to reach individual WageWorks employees. This is clearly a lie. I will be removing the commuter benefit from my plan, unfortunately their customer service is so bad that they're not worth dealing with.

WageWorks Company Profile