San Mateo, CA

1.7/5 (852 ratings)
Find a Business Services partner

Need business insurance? We got you.

See quotes from top insurers on Simply Business

Get my quote

About WageWorks

Need business insurance? We got you.

See quotes from top insurers on Simply Business

Get my quote

WageWorks Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about WageWorks?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about WageWorks?

Original review: Feb. 24, 2022

This company is a scam -- I preload money from each paycheck onto their card which gets declined every day. I call and no one has an answer, and half the time they're annoyed I call and just hang up. I've been trying to cancel my card and no one can figure out how to cancel it. I am SHOCKED that no one has sued them yet, and SHOCKED they are still in business. The only reason I use them is because my employer uses them. They have a 1.5 overall star rating on every review board you can find. THEY ARE AWFUL!!!!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2022

Sometimes they reimburse you, sometimes they don't. There is no consistency, they don't read through submitted receipts thoroughly. They mess up your claims and make it impossible to unravel. You spend hours on hold and it hangs up on you. It becomes impossible to get your money reimbursed that they took out of your paycheck all year for your employee programs. Essentially you give the company a 0% interest rate loan on your money all year and then you can't get it reimbursed without haggling for hours on the phone.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2022

After seeing the 1.8 star rating for WageWorks I feel a bit better. I thought it was just my personal experience with them. I have used FSA for almost 25 years for my family. I joined a new company last year and have to use Wage Works for the first time. It has never been harder to get to my own money! How does this business model work? Just like cable and phone companies, they make it extremely hard to use. However, it is much easier to downgrade your cable package than to get your account unlocked for a $3 receipt.

The signup process is the most cumbersome and slowest I have ever experienced. I had to request a code and it takes long to come in. Then they add a very short timer on this process so you probably have to repeat it a few times before you finally get it right. You can open 5 bank accounts in the same time of opening an FSA account at WageWorks (again, to get to your own money).

Second, why do you need a login and a separate pin code every single time you open the app on your phone? This is not a swiss bank account with $5 billion dollars in it. It is another way to discourage to reimburse your money. Just like other customers are experiencing, claims are denied (and your account frozen) even if you literally provide all the requested information. No feedback, nothing. Just go back online to check the status, hopefully you forget about it! Then try to get someone on the phone to help you.

They now merged with HealthEquity, the new site isn't much better. You'll have to sign up all over again and it is just as cumbersome. For example, if you have all information from the employer, why do you ask me to fill in a work zip code again? It is small thing but it shows how they're out of touch. The FSA store is another thing where you need to sign up for. I was out of time (it literally took 1.5 hours) and out of patience to try this. I think it is terrible that companies that are getting paid to provide a service are doing the opposite.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2021

I transition to Cobra when my Company was sold and had a horrible experience with BeneDirect (WageWorks). After speaking with and being transferred five (5) times to various "customer service representatives," I made my first payment for $748.20 in October 2021 for coverage for November 2021 (not to mention the inconvenience of having to pay out-of-pocket for meds because of this Company's incompetence. On November 28, 2021, I made my payment of $748.20 for December 2021; however, as of December 14, 2021, this Company is showing me, as having not coverage, after they cashed my check (ACH). They then try to blame my lack of coverage on my former employer.

This is not a Company that you want to do business with, they keep you on hold for extremely long periods of time (1 hour or more). The employees are not properly trained and will tell you anything to get you off the phone. I am scheduled to have a procedure done in a few days and I am scrambling to get this issue rectified with little or no help from WageWorks. If you have a choice, DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

I am writing this because I haven't heard back from the company's customers service after nearly a month. I've submitted four claims. All of the claims were for items/services on the list of approved items/services. I included the requested documentation. Yet, all of my claims were denied without explanation. No response yet to requests for an explanation. I am concerned I will lose a couple hundred dollars as a result of this scam. I'm also annoyed by the time I've spent thinking about this and working to try to get a response/utilize the money that was withdrawn from my paycheck. If they approve my claims and I'm able to use the money in my fund, I can update this review. As of right now, it's looking like this is a scam. It blows my mind that my workplace promoted this. If nothing else, I'm hoping others read reviews before opting in and are forewarned.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2021

Don't do it. Don't utilize a FSA ever! WageWorks' only game is to deny all claims to keep your money. I provided receipts for everything and they would still find a reason to deny. Even eyeglasses are WITH a receipt from the doctors office. Then asked for prescriptions, details and more details. Hospital receipts are denied, surgery receipts are denied, then they ask for invoices detailing what every little charge is for from the hospital which (to me) to a violation of my privacy. Who knows who these people are reading my personal information! Their only game is to KEEP your money.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2021

Majority of these comments about Wageworks are almost identical....I'll be as brief as possible because it's sad to see this. So many people being taken by these crooks. I had a HSA card with money on it that I had earned for doing pro self health types of initiatives that my job offered to employees. Now to make a long story short the card expired. My job informed us they no longer using that HSA card anymore...Ok so what happens to my $1515 I still had on my card. I called Wageworks. Tried to explain the situation and that I wanted my money. "Send a check if you have to."

They say they couldn't send me another card. "I had medical bills I could not pay with the card" I told them. After calling several times and speaking with several different people. Listening to one lie after the next. No one seems to know what they where talking about but trying to sell it to me as if they know what they are doing. So I'm told go to their website, register and fill out a form called make a payment "Something". "But first you must pay the bill yourself." So this has to be done every single time I want to use my $1515 dollars. This is just a tactic to discourage people from trying to get their money back off these useless cards....Just imagine the number of employees who still have money left on these cards and could not get access to it....

Wageworks is reaping all the leftover money from hardworking people who has earned this money and now can not get it. Wageworks giving people all the phony excuses and making it impossible and very difficult to receive our money. It don't belong to Wageworks...Who is running this place...Someone needs to help us...This is so unfair and unlawful...

Original review: Oct. 12, 2021

This place is a rip off. When my wife retired we received an invoice from them for over $9,000. I never had heard of them. After hours on the phone trying to find out who they were I spoke with a representative who was no help. Next month got another bill, called again and, after 1 hour hold time spoke with a guy who review our account and said we owed $10,100 but after discussing he said he would write it off since we had not used "it". So, OK I'm happy, but just today, 10/12/21 we received another $3,700 bill! WTH, this place is a money grabber! Watch out!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2021

Poor customer service and website limits. Being unable to change address online, followed up with this company by phone. They indicated I needed to fax or mail them letter with the address change. I mailed them a letter and emailed them with a follow up. They responded 3 weeks later in a letter indicating I needed to contact my previous employer to change my address. Contacted previous employer to make changes. Previous employer sent me an email indicating company informed them their records are updated. Checked website again and old address is still listed. Issue going on for 6 weeks. If I could find another company to manage these benefits, I would.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

After the acquisition, their business went downhill. I am not going to use the FSA benefits my company provides me in 2022. I lost so many hours due to the awful way they treat their clients. Every time I submit a transaction with all the information needed, I receive a denial. Then I have to go back and forth to get it sorted. Avoid them.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2021

My IVF transfer claim was denied and stated I needed a letter from my doctor. I provided a letter from my doctor, yet again, DENIED. I called and was told I instead need to provide a specific form. First, that could have been mentioned in the initial denial. Second, why say you cover IVF related if I have to jump through hoops for you to cover it? I did not choose to have a medical condition. I did not choose to have surgery to have part of my reproductive system removed causing it to be impossible to me to bear children without a doctor. If you are going to treat my medical condition different than anyone else's, just be like insurance and say you don't cover it. This company is a JOKE. I will never use WageWorks FSA again and will share my experience with all of my colleagues as well.

Original review: July 2, 2021

Totally crap company. I left my employer and they shut down all of the ways to get my money out. I leave behind $320 in transit money. They gave me a Mastercard that doesn't work with WMATA or VRE. They will not compensate for tickets purchased out of pocket.

Original review: June 13, 2021

I resigned from my company on 4/30/21. They sent the COBRA information 15-20 days following that. I paid my premium for May and June plus an additional two months ahead in the last week of May. Today is June 13 and my insurance coverage through the provider still hasn’t been extended because WageWorks didn’t report it to them. I have called at least four times to request that they contact my provider to let them know the coverage was extended because I had old claims pending and had scheduled appointments coming up.

Every time I call WageWorks and give the agent the number to contact the insurance provider they say they can’t make outbound calls, yet in the beginning of the call they always ask you for a good call back number in case you are disconnected. So if you can’t call outbound on the phones how will you call me back?? When I call my insurance provider directly they say that they can only verify my coverage extension through WageWorks directly. So my hands are tied. It’s so frustrating because the insurance company said if someone would call them my coverage can be updated and reactivated within 30 mins. Never doing this again.

Original review: May 28, 2021

Despite providing them with receipts and explanations from medical providers, they keep denying claims and making it hard for customers to use FSA. Such a terrible company and difficult to deal with. I wish my employer would use another one.

Original review: March 26, 2021

To say that they are the worst company ever is an understatement. I had a flex pay account with them through my job back in 2018 and then again in 2020. I sent DOZENS and DOZENS of receipts to them, many of whom I had to call the hospitals/doctors offices and get "detailed" receipts--and every single ONE of them was either "not received" or "we need a detailed receipt". I FINALLY send them everything that I could possibly find...just to have my ENTIRE PAYCHECK go to the IRS for "failure to provide documentation" from the case in 2018! Not only that, they garnished my tax return and now I have to go through this HUGE appeals process to get it back! Infuriated doesn't begin to describe my mood! I hope these people go out of business. Or at the very least, that Fortune500 companies stop using them. They are clearly a scam company!

Original review: March 22, 2021

I retired from a Fortune 500 company in September 2020 and immediately signed up for COBRA in order to bridge my Blue Cross Blue Shield coverage over until I turn 65 and eligible for Medicare. Beginning in October 2020, without fail I have been paying WageWorks over $600 per month ON TIME directly from my bank account via electronic check.

In the midst of all this I got married and had a legal name and home address change. I submitted my name and address change to WageWorks in February 2021. WageWorks subsequently REJECTED MY PAYMENT for the month of February by returning the check to me in U.S. mail without any defined explanation. The accompanying letter (undated I might add) provided 5 bullet points with a sort of "pick one of these reasons and maybe it applies to you" type scenario. I promptly called the WageWorks toll free number and couldn't get any of the automatic options to work because THEY CANCELLED MY ACCOUNT!!!

Upon finally reaching a supervisor at this incredibly incompetent and useless company, I was told in no uncertain terms that in order to have my account reinstated I would have to prove to them that I made the February payment. REALLY???? Despite the fact that I had WageWorks documentation listing their reject item #, block #, batch #, etc. etc., they informed me they had no record of those numbers. I asked to speak to the supervisor's manager and of course I was told no one was available at the moment and they'd have the manager call me back. Uh huh. Sure they will. So bottom line is I currently have NO MEDICAL COVERAGE due to their error. Worst company ever to deal with for something as important as medical coverage.

Original review: March 20, 2021

The absolute worst of the worst. Horrible employees. I am a cancer survivor and my aftercare was deemed as being not approved for FSA spending. It was approved in 2020 but not in 2021. And provided all the documentation. I would stay clear of them. They are not people friendly and all they care about is taking your money and not giving it back.

Original review: March 16, 2021

WageWorks not only messed up my health account with the employer. But medical coverage as well. A big part of the problem....employees are poorly trained and absolutely clueless when it comes to managing company programs. Most reps I talk with [supervisors as well] do not know poetical and more or less do not know how to do their job.

Original review: March 10, 2021

This company is inept. I think I would rather pay the tax than deal with their nagging and constant requests for receipts I have turned in already.

*Repeatedly deny obvious claims.
*Harassed for repayment after submitting receipts.
*Constantly asking for receipts for EVERYTHING.
*Never contacted me about the receipt denial. I only found out when I went to see why my FSA was coming up declined.
*Failed to tell me I have to actively enroll every single year.

*Nagging me for receipts for a single refill for a medication they have paid all year.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

I chose to utilize COBRA benefits to extend coverage including my HSA. Wage Works misrepresented the amount of my available HSA and only reimbursed a portion of the money available. I inquired about the additional funds and they informed me that the funds would take some time to go in effect because it’s a COBRA benefits which was back from November 2020. I accepted that response but no funds were ever made available or reimbursed and here we are in February 2021. I contacted WageWorks in November, December, January, and now February and I noticed they are applying my HSA funds to a non-existent FSA account which they acknowledged in January and classified it as an eligibility case and closed without any follow up.

I have gone through their many hoops to get resolution like wait times, department transfers, help cases with no specific turnarounds, etc. The end result is that they are aware that they made a mistake and I’m continuously waiting for a resolution. No one follows up with me and they have been simply just closing out my help cases without any resolution. This has been the worst experience I’ve ever had with a company that has so much responsibility with individuals' health benefits.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

My company fired WageWorks for handling the company sponsored Health Plan for incompetence. Wage Works would not pay claims. Customer Service issues were transferred to India where reps were clueless. Unfortunately Wage Works still handles the company sponsored COBRA plan. It is total insanity having to deal with this company.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

I'll try to keep this concise because it's so consistent across most reviews. I've had this company for 4+ years as FSA administrator. Here are the highlights: Repeated denied claims, repeated receipt requests after submission, rude service reps, unqualified service reps, conflicting answers from different reps (happened to me today), lack of documentation for service calls (happened today), inability of consumer (me) to receive chat transcripts as evidence (I took screenshots of chat today), serious language barriers... etc., etc.

Today's example: I took 2 hours to find and review FSA plan documents and IRS publications to prove that a rep incorrectly deemed an FSA purchase ineligible, then promptly disconnected the chat (rude). Second rep said it was eligible, but no evidence provided (but I have a screenshot).... we'll see how the claim processes. I saw Healthequity purchased Wageworks in late 2019 for $2 billion. Hope to see some changes soon. For now, decision makers should steer clear. I don't know what options exist, but there has to be something better for employee mental health.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2021

After four attempts to get resolution I was told by a supervisor that three of the four agents I "chatted" with provided bad information. I submitted a claim on December 23 for $2535.00. I am still waiting for payment. They mailed the check to the wrong address, when I called I was told me they were re-submitting it to be paid as a direct deposit, they then failed to notify me that they couldn't do that as the original payment was via live check. 35 days from date of submission still no payment, I was told today that I should expect payment within another 7-10 business days...

Original review: Jan. 19, 2021

Same issues as everyone else, tried to use my card, doesn't work, and then they deny the claims. This is an UNFAIR system of taking people's money. The money provided in an FSA has to go somewhere. The whole, "use it or lose it" doesn't quite add up here. I've been fighting with them on $1000 all year. And they won't pay it back. Each person I've talked to is inept and has no idea how anything works. I'm not an idiot, this isn't my first HSA or FSA, yet they run themselves like a sheme out of the states. It needs to be SHUT DOWN.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2020

I signed up for an FSA in 2019 for the 2020 calendar year. I put money into a Full Service FSA for myself and bought my wife a Dependent FSA for her expenses. Only my wife and I were listed as members and available to use the FSA's. Now if the Dependent FSA was only for child dependents and I didn't list any, don't you think they had an obligation to alert me that time was running out register a legal dependent before Open Enrollment ended????

Three months after open enrollment, I found out that the only Legal Dependents that could use the Dependent FSA are child dependents. I never listed any Child Dependents but during Open Enrollment, they allowed me to sign up my Wife as the only Dependent. Since she was not a Child Dependent, I ended up paying into the Dependent FSA all year with no way to use the money I spent. They literally ripped me and my wife off and they don't care they did it. Oh, and I cancelled everything this year since I will never, ever, do business with them again, and I see now, that this year the Dependent FSA is clearly marked for Dependent Child only, but, it wasn't clear at all last year. Do you really think that I would agree to pay them $200 per paycheck, if my Wife could not use the money?? Rip Off Company!!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2020

I have had the absolute worst experience with this company. They require a receipt for everything and try to deny obvious claims! I'm not even able to use my FSA dollars at CVS for eligible items because the receipts CVS provides is not adequate for them...even though the description clearly states what was purchased! I have sat on the phone with agents that repeat scripts even when I ask specifically how I should purchase these items from CVS. I will not be using a FSA account for 2021 because of this company...just not worth it!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2020

Released from company and trying to get benefits right for myself and wife thru Cobra, with Wage Works as an admin for our ultimate health provider. The wording is such in their letter that it really doesn't state that your provider will probably or might refuse coverage if they haven't received notification from WW that you are current. In the body of letter you have a 30 day grace period to pay. If you pay them, it can take 5-7 days for getting paperwork cleared to see provider. In that period your person HAS NO coverage. Letter is mailed by snail mail and by the time get to you 25%+ of month gone and frustration trying to get answer for your dependent whom needs help. Opinion is they couldn't care less about service to you and only motivated their party line and not health of patient. When tried to get supervisor puts on the Longest hold I have ever seen. If I had choice I would NEVER use this company.

J

What worse is that if go by when they

Original review: Nov. 5, 2020

Their customer service and operations are awful. They do not understand what they are doing, it's all check the box. I have to call numerous times on the SAME issue and spend hours talking to staff and managers to have it resolved. It's the exact same treatment multiple times a month and sometimes they approve and sometimes they don't. I will not even put money in my FSA for 2021 as I want nothing to do with this AWFUL company and service.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2020

The customer service people are inept. They just want to create "case numbers" and tell you that someone will get back to you within three days. Then you will receive an email with a link to login and read their answer only to find out that they have closed your account. They have taken your money and not applied the funds to your account. I asked to speak to a supervisor and the call was directed to a voicemail. I went around and around in circles. If I could give these people a zero, I would.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2020

Everything about WageWorks is terrible. Their websites are confusing. The help desk isn't very helpful. If they deny a claim it will take you a long time to figure out why and then even longer to fix it. If you talk with anyone they refuse to use plain English and instead double down on the insurance speak that you called to get help with. I will never ever in the rest of my life use any service or product associated with this company. Nothing with them is ever simple or easy and they seem to go out of their way to make things harder.

WageWorks Company Information