3.3/5 (2009 ratings)

About Square

Square offers multiple tools to make life more simple for business owners. The company helps business owners send invoices, accept online payments and offer delivery, pickup and shipping options. It also helps set up online stores. Square has solutions for multiple businesses, including retail stores and restaurants.

Square Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Square?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Square?

Original review: March 24, 2022

Square allowed us to re-open our school cafeteria for cashless payments quickly and easily! We had been looking for an affordable system and had no luck until Square. The backroom reporting is clear and easy to understand. The POS system in the cafeteria is quick and user friendly. Reloadable gift cards have been a big seller for us here at the school. The cards are easy to track and clear balances if cards are lost or stolen. Ordering customized cards is quick and easy. Love the flexibility of the system and the online Dashboard for the back end reports, etc. Is easy to navigate and print all the required information for our auditors! Keep up the great work. :)

Original review: March 8, 2022

I am a Massage Therapist and Energy Worker. My business would not be up and running without Square to support me with payment processing, appointment scheduling and so much more. I have both services and products to sell, and Square lets me take care of both and keep track of everything myself. Square offers more business tools in one place than anyone else with a better value. Integrations and additional services through Square Capital keep me and my business running smoothly. I could not have made a better decision than to sign up with Square.

Get buying tips about Credit Card Processing delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 7, 2022

Square comes in handy for each of my unique customer transactions. Whether it be setting up an order or charging a customer it's a great way to constantly stay engaged with each of my current or potential new clients. Customers can pay online through my connected website or text me by phone. It's simple to use and I highly recommend it for its ease of use for not only myself but clients as well.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2021

I was introduced to Square by my cell phone service MetroPCS here in Oregon. In doing festivals outdoors I was very limited in being able to only take cash before I was introduced to square. It is so easy to use and understand. I would highly recommend this for any small business personnel. Or someone just starting a new business. The fees are not that much in using this service. I would not use another service because I have always been so happy with my square system.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

I have been having issue on my account on 90 days suspended which I got help from a Square representative and I got my deposit on second day. Here is the line to text for better assistant if you having a suspended issue **. Thanks. I hope he will help you as well.

Original review: April 27, 2022

I have small business and I’ve been using Square for a while now. I started doing small loans through Square but the loan amounts and the amount deposited never add up… I’ve always been finding that small amounts are missing sometimes $.14-$2 dollars but there’s always money that doesn’t add up. I called for an amount that was deposited and they transferred me to the loans department. The woman I spoke with was rude and still couldn’t explain why there’s micro amounts missing from every deposit. Stay away. I’m done using this scam of a company.

Original review: April 23, 2022

Square processed my small business transactions as it does so for so many of us. Multiple accounts were found "associated" to my business, with incorrect spellings and obviously scamworthy info included. Square lets them charge their own cards and then I get left with the bill. They won't give you ANY information about the associated accounts except the name and email address used. It is open to fraudulent activity and then honest businesses suffer. I've filed internet complaints, FTC complaint and more. They still refuse to give me my money.

Original review: April 17, 2022

Square, Stripe, Paypal and WePay are not real credit card processors. These are money transfer companies claiming to be credit companies. Please, please do business with a real credit company. These companies actually steal your money and with no oversight agency they will continue to do so. You need to go with companies like Englobe WorldPay, (**) Capital Bankcard, Elite Bankcard Solution (**) etc. These are real credit card companies and have to abide by the credit card association rules. Square is own by Jack Dorsey, the owner of Twitter. These guys don’t care about Square’s customers.

When you file a suit against Square, it never makes it to the top unless you are asking for five million or more. They treat customers like animals and just continue to take their money. The percentage rate will tell you these companies steal from honest hard working people. 30 cents plus 2.70% this is actually 3.00 per hundred dollars they take. A regular credit card company charges about 15 cents plus 1.30% normally that is about $ 1.45 cent per every hundred dollars you make. Please, please these companies are only robbing merchants every day. They come with slick equipment and flashy websites to lower merchants in. Do not fall for the **, regular credit card companies offer the same or much better.

Original review: April 8, 2022

I think this company should only be entertained as a last resort. We signed up for Square for our website, we filled out the application and questionnaire and were accepted. We sell CBD products and apparently Square said they allowed it. After passing the review they allowed us to receive payments. Then once money came in, they never let us withdraw a single dollar. It felt like some strange trap. We were perfectly fine with being denied by them, but to accept us and then lock the money up once it came in was just absurd and infuriating.

Customer Service is the worst I have ever dealt with especially considering the size and visibility of this company. You can not actually talk to the compliance people. They apparently "do not have phones". Therefore they train the customer service people to get you off the phone and "wait for an email." Often these emails never come, and you need to call again and again. One time one of the customer service reps actually hang up on me. When you ask to speak to a manager, they lie and tell you they do not have any managers. When the emails do come, you can not reply to the emails because they send it from an account that either doesn't receive emails or that no one checks.

So they take your money, then tell you "oops we shouldn't have taken your money, but you can't have it either." Then you can't actually talk to anyone who you can work with or who can actually make a decision or give you any relevant advice. You just get stuck along with your cash. Best choice we made with Square was stopping after just over $200 in payments when we realized we were never going to be able to withdraw. If we hadn't have been vigilant and disconnected Square from our website promptly, they would've damaged our business terribly.

Original review: April 2, 2022

This company has the most unprofessional support you can ever find. Their team does not know how to use their own platform. They removed a whole section from the interface of the Square admin along with the custom code. Now no one, including their own engineers, is able to access this code and as a result, our analytics data is broken and we are unable to run any campaigns in our store. The issue is going on for 8 months now and I get Zero support on this. Their advertising is false! Square does not support many of the futures they advertise. They claim integration with Pinterest, but Pinterest integration just does not work and they do nothing about it. I'm extremely frustrated with this company.

Square author review by Beverly Harzog

Jack Dorsey, co-founder of Twitter, is Square's CEO and co-founder. The company offers a credit card reader that attaches to your smart phone or tablet as well as wireless equipment for other types of payments.

• No long-term contracts: Signing up is free and doesn’t require a commitment.

• Free Square reader: Sign up and receive a free Square magstripe reader.

• Wireless Square reader for EMV cards, contactless cards and NFC payments: Accept every way your customer wants to pay. With this one reader, they can use Apple Pay (NFC) or EMV chip cards. With the free Square magstripe reader, you are set up to process all payments.

• Customer Directory: Integrates with Square and adds your customer to its directory. You can view profiles, sort customers into groups, see spending habits and more.

• Tax-preparation shortcuts: Built-in tools instantly complete a spreadsheet in one click to detail sales history faster.

• Square Dashboard: Create an online store and have it hosted by Square. You can sell online and manage it all in Square Dashboard.

• Square Inventory alerts: Get daily stock alert emails instantly whenever inventory items start running out.

• Transparent pricing: Flat rate of 2.25 percent (per swipe, dip, or tap). For manually entered transactions, rate is 3.5 percent + $0.15.

by Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Advisor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Square Company Information