2.9/5 (1323 ratings)

About Square

Square offers multiple tools to make life more simple for business owners. The company helps business owners send invoices, accept online payments and offer delivery, pickup and shipping options. It also helps set up online stores. Square has solutions for multiple businesses, including retail stores and restaurants.

Square Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Square?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Square?

Original review: Nov. 30, 2021

We’ve been in business for 10 years now and we never would have made it with Square, from easy use to their capital loan we’ve grown our company and they have been the best service for our small company.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

I have been having issue on my account on 90 days suspended which I got help from a Square representative and I got my deposit on second day. Here is the line to text for better assistant if you having a suspended issue **. Thanks. I hope he will help you as well.

Get buying tips about Credit Card Processing delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

Square offers reasonable rates and is easy to use. Training employees is simple and quick and allows freedom for the owner from having to be at every class. Bank transfers are available within hours of accepting payments for business use.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

Everything in one spot! Easy to see, find, work with… It's all streamlined. Everything is in one app! Love Square processes. While I could get a cheaper rate per transaction, but how much am I really saving? I’m a one man business - not WalMart!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2020

Square has been processing my credit card sales for years, I have had not one single problem or issue ever. Nothing but perfection since day one. Square is always seeking ways to assist business owners all the time with new innovative products and services. They simply never stop trying to help me and my business.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2021

I have had major issues time and time again that I have had to find ways to resolve on my own. I have lost my entire website, they held my domain name for two weeks, keeping me from being able to move to a new platform, and they have cost me tens of thousands of dollars in business. On top of this, I have never gotten a response on any email sent in for help and they also fail to help me over the phone. I typically spend an hour getting bounced around having to tell my story over and over again before they hang up altogether. Now I only have 4 of dozens of active orders showing up and I have a few dozen very angry clients asking where their order is, and I have no way of getting it to them because Square not only lost all the info on the orders but they also cannot find any of it apparently. This will ruin my reputation and put me out of business.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2021

I had $950 cash within Square Inc's Cash App. I lost access to this account for multiple years and I tried to get my money back. Square had been holding my money for so long that it is supposed to remit the money to the State's Unclaimed Property department. However, it hasn't done so for years and continues to hold the money. I have sent numerous requests to their Support team and they just keep dodging my requests with unreasonable questions such as the PIN number, etc. I lost access for years! Why would I need their help if I had the PIN! I contacted their Unclaimed Property Department (UnclaimedPropertyHelp@squareup.com). They replied to me only once, simply asking me to contact the Support. Then they no longer reply to me. This company is completely irresponsible and robbing money from consumers like me.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2021

We bought the square card reader to take to our first pop up shop. Bank account was verified, all worked, payments taken. Then it was time to get our funds transferred. This was supposed to happen the next working day. Each day I checked our balance and it would tell me the money would be transferred that day. Nothing was ever transferred. Every day, it said a new date until I finally called and asked. They told "your account is under review". I provided all information asked for. Then I checked again, now it said on my balance "transfers suspended". Called again. Was told I would just have to wait as they are investigating "suspicious activity on my account". Wait another week. 1K in payments are still being held by Square.

My account was approved. Business approved. Payments worked. Yet no transfers and I'm being told I just need to wait until my account is reviewed. Judging by all the reviews, that money will never reach us. It's been 2 weeks and hundreds and hundreds of pounds lost. LISTEN TO THESE 1 STAR REVIEWS - DO NOT USE!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2021

I am a small business owner. One of my client's credit card got declined. She was surprised so she tried it again and again. She then ask me to try a smaller amount. Still didn't pass. She then tried her other cards. Didn't work. So she decided to pay with debit. Square suspended my account suspecting fraudulent activity. I provided proof my business does not fraud. Bank account statement, billing etc. It took three hours. I was unable to do sales that day. After reviewing the information they decided to close my account for good.

There is no comeback. They hold on to the money. I lost hundreds of dollars. I wish I saw all the bad reviews about them but it seems that they are good at hiding it. I will not be doing business with Square anymore. A credit card decline is just something that happens. I don't have time to deal with this crap. I have been looking into other option and it seems Clover is a bit more expensive but at least they don't scam you from your customer money.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2021

Have a close look at all the 1 star ratings on this company! I also am a small business owner with funds under suspension, and possible fraudulent activity with my account. You will have a very difficult time reaching them by any means. Be warned. Do not use this company for anything, unless you want to lose money.

Square author review by Beverly Harzog

Jack Dorsey, co-founder of Twitter, is Square's CEO and co-founder. The company offers a credit card reader that attaches to your smart phone or tablet as well as wireless equipment for other types of payments.

• No long-term contracts: Signing up is free and doesn’t require a commitment.

• Free Square reader: Sign up and receive a free Square magstripe reader.

• Wireless Square reader for EMV cards, contactless cards and NFC payments: Accept every way your customer wants to pay. With this one reader, they can use Apple Pay (NFC) or EMV chip cards. With the free Square magstripe reader, you are set up to process all payments.

• Customer Directory: Integrates with Square and adds your customer to its directory. You can view profiles, sort customers into groups, see spending habits and more.

• Tax-preparation shortcuts: Built-in tools instantly complete a spreadsheet in one click to detail sales history faster.

• Square Dashboard: Create an online store and have it hosted by Square. You can sell online and manage it all in Square Dashboard.

• Square Inventory alerts: Get daily stock alert emails instantly whenever inventory items start running out.

• Transparent pricing: Flat rate of 2.25 percent (per swipe, dip, or tap). For manually entered transactions, rate is 3.5 percent + $0.15.

by Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Square Company Information