2.17/5

Need credit card processing?

Square

Need credit card processing?

330 Square Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

We are a very small business and do most of our selling at Quilt Shows or Guilds. The Square has allowed us to take debit/credit card sales which has really helped our business. Because we only pay a fee when we sell something, we have been able to afford offering this service to our customers. I love being able to include tax in our prices and then have it separated out in the report for tax purposes. Rounding up or down to the nearest dollar allows us to plan the amount of change we need to carry with us as well as charge the appropriate tax without having to figure it out. Convenient, user friendly, prompt payment, a business booster!

Original review: June 5, 2019

Been with Square for about four years dealing with public school band instrument repairs. Square has really simplified collecting for me. One major account has provided all their band directors with their budgets on American Express cards. When I deliver completed repairs, they hand me the card for processing in my cellphone. When I leave, the money is already in my Square account and in my bank account the next day. That is a tremendous bargain for less than 3% processing fee and quick payment. Cash flow in dealing with school districts has always been a problem. Square has really helped me to be able to work with the most progressive customers and let my competitors fight with the slow payers!

Get expert buying tips about Credit Card Processing delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 30, 2019

I see some negative reviews below. I have not experienced the same problems. In fact, we left PayPal (a disaster) over intrusive requirements, horrible customer service and withholding funds. We filed a claim in civil court, and once I talked to someone that actually listened, once they heard the "civil court" our funds were released in 20 minutes. Beside the Reader, we have also have Square for our web payments. It is integrated with Gravity Forms. It took some fiddling, but it is working smoothly now, and it is FAST. Money deposited the same day, not like slowpoke PayPal. At this point I would say we are quite happy with Square.

Original review: May 29, 2019

I feel like negative comments are "louder" than positive ones. I needed a means of accepting credit cards, as most younger generations don't know how to write a cheque, and customers were giving me ** for not taking credit. I've done so many swipes with my reader, and I receive the money in 1 or 2 days. What are you all complaining about? You get around 2.7% fee and you get your money fast in your account. The support is also very fast. I am baffled at the bad reviews. The reader does what it claims it will do; accept credit, and send you money in 1-2 days. Do you all want the reader to give free massages too?

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

Although I don't personally use the app as a point of sale; I send invoices. My customers get offered cash, check or charge and when they say charge I use Square. Square is a pay only for what you use provider meaning I don't have to worry about monthly charges for the privilege of accepting card payments. I send invoices to customers within the app and they pay thru a link in the email. I usually send invoices while I'm standing next to customer and they pay me before I leave. We both get confirmation emails of the payment and I never touch the customer's card. Simple, easy and straightforward terms.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Square?

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

At the end of August I wanted to buy a new payment Terminal from Square, and then I applied for the monthly payment and added half down payment for the machine and network cables. $400.00. I gave them the information on the website. Said no problem and no credit check needed, but it turns out that they do a check through TransUnion. Little I did know that they did, so after 25 seconds I was declined for the monthly payments. I have an excellent credit rating, but they wanted full payment upfront for the equipment. Luckily I did not buy the machine as it would have been 7 weeks being shipped out to me. They claim no credit check was required. So after reading up on this shady company I have decided not to deal with these people.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2019

Square is a fantastic and easy to use platform. If everything is working smoothly, life is great. The moment, you the merchant has any problems, no matter where the problem lies, you the merchant will lose. No room for discussion and your account will be frozen for 90 days without access to your funds. Beware!!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

For weeks now that we can not log in to our account. The system kept saying that we have the wrong password (which we never changed our password). Then they forced us to click " reset password" which they will send the new password to our email. The problem is we never received any reset password from their system (we even look at Spam folder, etc). So when we tried to call them or have a live chat with them, Square asked for customer code which we don't have since we can not log into our account. So basically, there's nothing they can do for us if we can log in because they failed to send us the new account password).

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

After having their service for 3 days and processing 3 payments, they deactivated my account and is holding my money for 90 days. Why? I have no idea. No explanation, no reason whatsoever. I have been in business for over 5 years, paid taxes every year....legit business. Now they close my account and steal my money. As a single mother of 3 working my butt off to keep my head above water, it absolutely kills me to be missing such a large amount of money. This is money I have earned, money that is not theirs to hold. How is this legal!? There goes our grocery money for the week....thanks for that square. Claiming to help small businesses? You screwed me. What a joke.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

Intended recipient never got monies. Customer service nonexistent. No phone number to call. Suggested I file a dispute with my bank, which was then denied. Really really awful. DO NOT USE CASH APP. You cannot speak to a person, only a computer, and a very limited one at that.

Square expert review by Beverly Harzog

Jack Dorsey, co-founder of Twitter, is Square's CEO and co-founder. The company offers a credit card reader that attaches to your smart phone or tablet as well as wireless equipment for other types of payments.

• No long-term contracts: Signing up is free and doesn’t require a commitment.

• Free Square reader: Sign up and receive a free Square magstripe reader.

• Wireless Square reader for EMV cards, contactless cards and NFC payments: Accept every way your customer wants to pay. With this one reader, they can use Apple Pay (NFC) or EMV chip cards. With the free Square magstripe reader, you are set up to process all payments.

• Customer Directory: Integrates with Square and adds your customer to its directory. You can view profiles, sort customers into groups, see spending habits and more.

• Tax-preparation shortcuts: Built-in tools instantly complete a spreadsheet in one click to detail sales history faster.

• Square Dashboard: Create an online store and have it hosted by Square. You can sell online and manage it all in Square Dashboard.

• Square Inventory alerts: Get daily stock alert emails instantly whenever inventory items start running out.

• Transparent pricing: Flat rate of 2.25 percent (per swipe, dip, or tap). For manually entered transactions, rate is 3.5 percent + $0.15.

• Best for: Professional service providers, online shop owners, mobile vendors and retailers seeking simple, secure, and easy credit card processing.

Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
      Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Square Company Information