2.10/5

Need credit card processing?

Square

Need credit card processing?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Square Reviews

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

We are a very small business and do most of our selling at Quilt Shows or Guilds. The Square has allowed us to take debit/credit card sales which has really helped our business. Because we only pay a fee when we sell something, we have been able to afford offering this service to our customers. I love being able to include tax in our prices and then have it separated out in the report for tax purposes. Rounding up or down to the nearest dollar allows us to plan the amount of change we need to carry with us as well as charge the appropriate tax without having to figure it out. Convenient, user friendly, prompt payment, a business booster!

Original review: June 5, 2019

Been with Square for about four years dealing with public school band instrument repairs. Square has really simplified collecting for me. One major account has provided all their band directors with their budgets on American Express cards. When I deliver completed repairs, they hand me the card for processing in my cellphone. When I leave, the money is already in my Square account and in my bank account the next day. That is a tremendous bargain for less than 3% processing fee and quick payment. Cash flow in dealing with school districts has always been a problem. Square has really helped me to be able to work with the most progressive customers and let my competitors fight with the slow payers!

Get expert buying tips about Credit Card Processing delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: May 30, 2019

I see some negative reviews below. I have not experienced the same problems. In fact, we left PayPal (a disaster) over intrusive requirements, horrible customer service and withholding funds. We filed a claim in civil court, and once I talked to someone that actually listened, once they heard the "civil court" our funds were released in 20 minutes. Beside the Reader, we have also have Square for our web payments. It is integrated with Gravity Forms. It took some fiddling, but it is working smoothly now, and it is FAST. Money deposited the same day, not like slowpoke PayPal. At this point I would say we are quite happy with Square.

Original review: May 29, 2019

I feel like negative comments are "louder" than positive ones. I needed a means of accepting credit cards, as most younger generations don't know how to write a cheque, and customers were giving me ** for not taking credit. I've done so many swipes with my reader, and I receive the money in 1 or 2 days. What are you all complaining about? You get around 2.7% fee and you get your money fast in your account. The support is also very fast. I am baffled at the bad reviews. The reader does what it claims it will do; accept credit, and send you money in 1-2 days. Do you all want the reader to give free massages too?

Original review: March 5, 2019

I have been in business for over 15 years and used every credit card processor out there. I started using Square in 2010 and never looked back. The value of what you get from free hardware, and software with the best processing fee out there straight forwarded. You know what you are paying for, no surprise whether it’s a Visa or AmEx or a loyalty card fee does not change. Try it at **. You will not be sorry.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Square?

Original review: Dec. 8, 2019

Easy to start and will take your money watch out FRAUD! If they see small amounts they will deposit how ever larger amounts will be held by them making up stories BE CAREFUL! After sending all legal papers they kept the money and closed the account.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

I needed a way to accept credit card payments. Most banks charge a monthly fee plus a high percentage from your sales (which can be a big rip off). Specially if your sales are higher than 4 digits. A customer told me about Square. I look it up and signed up right away. No monthly fees and kind of low % rates.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

I took payments with Square all day Saturday Nov 30th. At the end of the day I added up my transactions twice. Monday morning square deposited money but almost $500 short? The first time I called and wrote an email a representative sent me a quick email saying that I only had 17 transactions & that there isn't anything she could do for me? She said I only had 17 transactions & that is wrong. They then asked me if I kept 2 copies of every transaction? I replied that's what I'm paying you to do? I called again and answered many questions and by email. Square said they will do an investigation. I still haven't heard anything?

What's worse is every time they contact me they address everything to my mother and she has a square reader for her business? After reading all these negative comments I'm calling my lawyer in the morning. I wish I never got this machine. I'm just starting a small business & this was my 1st selling opportunity. I needed that money to buy more supplies, so I'm probably going to lose my business. I'm going to call my lawyer & get my money & buy a reliable system to take payments. Never buy this machine!

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

I've been using Square for 5 years and have been their biggest fan. I even bought Square stock. I have been using the wireless scanner for about 6 months. Last month while at a show where others were complaining about the internet reception my scanner was working better than fine. I would just put a customers card near my reader and it would run. I was surprised at how sensitive the reader was. Well I just got one of my credit card statements and 5 of the sells I made were charged to my own credit card. One of many in my wallet and not linked to any account on my phone. The reader had been in my purse with my wallet, not in my wallet. My wallet was nowhere near my phone or reader when I made the sells.

When I called Square regarding this they looked at the charges and suggested that I reimburse myself. When I said that it was their equipment that failed and that they should reimburse me they said I had no proof. Really???? I'm not in the business of charging myself for my own product! I am sure that I'm not the first person that has experienced this malfunction! Tap technology is new and square's wireless readers are malfunctioning. They are denying any problem to protect themselves and I for one have lost complete respect for them.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

I rarely leave reviews publicly. I have given Square over a month now to reply to my concerns. We are a mental health counselling agency and they cancelled our ability to use their services and only sent us to a link (https://squareup.com/legal/payment) of 30 different terms of service reasons why they could have made their decisions. When I asked for clarification by email, someone named Roland replied: "Our decision to deactivate your account is final. Our Merchant User Agreement outlines specific account types and processing patterns that we are unable to support, and your account matches one or more of these conditions. I’m unable to address this with you any further, as I’ve shared all the information I can provide."

When I tried again, the same person said the same thing. When I tried calling, and gave them my unique code that the website provided me for phone support, I got an automated message stating that we violated their terms in some way but nothing specific again. We run about $50,000 of credit cards/debit cards per month, and this left us really stranded and we ended up losing about 3 weeks of merchant services to this. It only hurt our clients. We are now back up and running but for what?

Square simply decided unilaterally that we can no longer use their services. We do not fit any one of those 30 illegal or unauthorized business types and had been using Square since 2014 with no issues. Also, we had just updated to their new terminal device spending almost $400 and now have to find someone to buy it. I am happy to discuss in more depth our experience to anyone considering using Square, or to media outlets because once they make a decision, they really leave you in the dark to clean up the mess they create and I don't want others to go through the same thing. You can reach me at ** or at ** (feel free to remove my information if it is not appropriate for this review).

Square expert review by Beverly Harzog

Jack Dorsey, co-founder of Twitter, is Square's CEO and co-founder. The company offers a credit card reader that attaches to your smart phone or tablet as well as wireless equipment for other types of payments.

• No long-term contracts: Signing up is free and doesn’t require a commitment.

• Free Square reader: Sign up and receive a free Square magstripe reader.

• Wireless Square reader for EMV cards, contactless cards and NFC payments: Accept every way your customer wants to pay. With this one reader, they can use Apple Pay (NFC) or EMV chip cards. With the free Square magstripe reader, you are set up to process all payments.

• Customer Directory: Integrates with Square and adds your customer to its directory. You can view profiles, sort customers into groups, see spending habits and more.

• Tax-preparation shortcuts: Built-in tools instantly complete a spreadsheet in one click to detail sales history faster.

• Square Dashboard: Create an online store and have it hosted by Square. You can sell online and manage it all in Square Dashboard.

• Square Inventory alerts: Get daily stock alert emails instantly whenever inventory items start running out.

• Transparent pricing: Flat rate of 2.25 percent (per swipe, dip, or tap). For manually entered transactions, rate is 3.5 percent + $0.15.

• Best for: Professional service providers, online shop owners, mobile vendors and retailers seeking simple, secure, and easy credit card processing.

Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
      Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Square Company Information