1.30/5

Need credit card processing?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

176 Square Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

We cannot say enough good things about Square. We've used it for about 6 years for some family businesses. It's affordable, clear, clean and does exactly what we need it to do for a small company. We have several hair salons. The equipment is small and easy to use. Square Capital is a godsend for short term loans.

The loans do not affect your credit rating & they deduct a % with each day's closing. My only complaint is that Square released their payroll program too soon. It doesn't calculate all local taxes properly.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

August 2017 I used Square Cash and my customer end up requesting her funds back after she received services. I tried to dispute but Square will only agree with the customer and you will get your money back, unless you take the customer to court. I would never use this Square Cash again! Some governmental authorities need to shut this company down.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Card Processing delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

We signed up for Square to process payments for credit cards. We had no issues for several years till one day we had 2 deposits of $5000 and $1900. They froze our account and asked us what our company did. They had NEVER asked us when we signed up! And the type of business is in our company name. Hard not to know what we do! They proceeded to close our account and freeze our funds for 30 days. That was August 1 and as of November 14th we still do not have our money.

We got another generic email last week stating they will keep our money another 60 days. This is fraud. We are a small business and need our funds! We have emailed countless times and all we get is a generic email. There is no way to talk to them on the phone or have an email to a real person who will directly correspond with you. Do not use this service. At some point you will regret it. They will steal your money too. Remember, they have access to your checking account and will debit money from your account like they did with us.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Our business signed up for merchant services with Square, inc, and Square Capital LLC who are supposedly merchant processing services in California through Wix.com. We had an order of $1,599.95 for a laptop customer ordered and Square withheld the money against its own policy that supposedly releases funds within 24 hours. The order was placed on 11/10/2018 and today is 11/14/2018, we have yet to receive funds. The two companies are crooks who operate under two separate names to make themselves look bigger than they are. The matter has been referred to our legal counsel. If, you have similar incident, please contact Amir at ** or contact us through website, www.discountcityusa.com. Our counsel is filing a class action complaint on November 19, 2018.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Hello everyone. I am a owner of a small business and I took over from the previous owner the Square and she had a loan with them. They have been taking money out of my sales to pay her loan even though I have the agreement showed she is the one took the loan and not me. Please be aware they are very good at scamming people. I have hired a attorney to help me get my money back. I called them 4 times and they said there is nothing they can do.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Square?

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Square bunch of thieves, they provide you handy device but charge you massive and then steal your money if you do lot of transaction. Refused to do refund to customer. Refused to refund fees. APPALLING ATTITUDE FROM CAMEROON.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I have used Square cash a handful of times over the past year with no issue. My husband sent me $800 to pay our rent while he was out of town. I have a new phone and got the notification to accept the transfer so I did. When I opened the app, I was not able to cash it out. My debit card was no longer accepted and every bank transfer attempt failed. I tried refunding the $800 and it failed too.

I contacted support and they answered back via email saying they closed my account suspecting a violation of terms but couldn’t disclose why and their decision was final. Meanwhile, I needed to cash out the funds left in my account. Well, I can’t cash them out. It keeps failing. I just want the money refunded. We have bills to pay. This company is a joke. This transfer happened 7 days ago.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

Was using Cash App as part of my business for people who don't have CCs. Some people pay with Cash App and then dispute charges through the bank. You will get no notification from Cash App until money is taken from your account. This is a scam by customers to receive free services and products and Cash App says they have no hand in this Scam. Lost money and may have to close my business because of this company. DO NOT USE Cash App!!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

Before you use Square to take payments from customers keep in mind if there is a dispute Square will not help. Customer gave me $400 for a photoshoot. I used Square to collect the payment. Did the photoshoot, delivered the pictures to customer. Once the customer got the final product / service the customer complained to BOFA that charge is fraudulent. Square did nothing to help our business and despite all the evidence we submitted sided with customer and BOFA. Square did a chargeback and took $400 out of our business account and we got $34.99 insufficient funds penalty on top of that. Expressed my concerns to Square and their reply was, “You should always have the funds equal to deposit in your account.” Now I am taking the customer to small claims court. Never use Square to grab payment from customers. If there is a issue Square will always side with the customer.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I sent a transaction to my daughter in an emergency over two months ago. The money was never received because her username changed. I have attempted to contact Cash App through Square support on two occasions, as they have no live customer service. I have yet to receive a refund though the site clearly says that if funds are not collected that the sender will receive a refund. I received a template email simply telling me not to send multiple emails. The transaction was on September 3. Today is November 7, and still no response.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I opened a Square (or Squareup) account for my online business. We average $3,000 per day in sales and I liked how easy it was to use Square, and that payments were deposited to my bank the next day. After 4 days of sales without any issues, Square decided to put my deposits on hold while they requested more information from me about my business. I provided all information within hours, and they said the review process would take 1 to 2 days and that deposits were still held until the review was complete. Very annoying, but I understand - I just wish they would ask questions up front instead of allowing me to run transactions first and then deciding there is some problem that requires them to hold funds.

After 2 business days, I had not heard from Square, so I called them. The customer service rep was polite but basically couldn't tell me anything except to keep waiting. I waited all weekend and when Monday morning rolled around (today), I emailed them. The rep was polite and said he would escalate my case to get it done more quickly. By this point, I had $18,841.72 being held by Square for sales over a period of 6 days. Three hours after the conversation with the customer service rep, I noticed that my account showed it had been deactivated. I didn't receive a call or an email or anything, just a red alert icon that said my account was shut down. I tried to call Square and they would not give me an option to speak with anybody, the only options were to listen to recordings about how my account was deactivated, funds would be held, etc and to reference an email they claim to have sent.

I went back to my inbox and there wasn't an email, but apparently it got picked up by a spam filter because it showed up later. The email was as vague as the recordings, basically they deactivated my account because they cannot support my business, and funds were to be held for 90 days! There is no option to call them, the email actually says that phone support is only for customers with active accounts. I had one until you morons closed it! So my only recourse is to wait 3 months for funds to be deposited, hire a lawyer and get them to pressure Square into releasing the funds early, or simply refund all my customers and try to run the sales through again using a better method.

Square is a joke, their customer service is non-existent, and they tried to kill my cash flow for no reason. I didn't have any chargebacks, the transactions were all valid, there really isn't any reason for them to flag my account as a risk unless they just can't handle the sales volume we do, which I doubt is the case. But if it was, it seems like a reputable company would reach out first and let a customer know there was an issue, instead of just shutting everything down and sending some generic email that says we're keeping your money for 3 months and you can't do anything about it. These guys are a total joke, do yourself a favor and get with a real credit card processor. If you use Square, make sure you don't count on those funds to be deposited into your account, they could email you one day and tell you that they are keeping them for as long as they want to for no reason.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I have never had a moment of frustration in using the contactless chip reader by Square. I previously used their plug-in card swiper with my iPhone but with the transition to chip reading, needed to update to accept payments in my mobile audiological practice. The reader is reliable and it connects wirelessly with ease. It also holds a charge forever. Worth the purchase!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

On October 1, 2018, my first day using Cash App, I received $750 and I tried several times to move the money out of the Cash App account. Every transaction "failed" for my "protection." I decided to Google "cash app customer service" and the first returned search provided a toll-free number (855-349-6628) for Cash App customer service (I actually took a screenshot of the search results). I called the number and explained my problem regarding the failed transactions. I was asked various questions. At this point I was not suspicious because I initiated the call after performing a Google search. However, after being placed on hold for several minutes notifications began appearing on my phone, one of which was a notification stating that my bank debit card had been unlinked from my Cash App account. I immediately disconnected from the number I had called and I realized something was wrong.

By this time I was locked out of my Cash App account because the PIN had been changed. Within minutes my Cash App account had been depleted of $750 and had been cashed out to a Huntington Bank account. I could only email Cash App customer support and explain the situation. I immediately contacted Huntington Bank and that bank took a report to initiate a fraud investigation, and provided me with a reference number. Cash App customer support bounced several emails back and forth with me before finally sounding like it had a reasoned grasp of the situation. On October 10, 2018 Cash App customer support sent me an email stating that it had concluded its investigation and that after opening a new Cash App account I would be reimbursed through a "secure transaction."

On October 11, 2018 I provided Cash App customer support with the requested information (including a copy of my driver's license). No reimbursement has been forthcoming. On Friday, October 26, 2018 I Tweeted about my Cash App fraudulent transaction and the shoddy actions taken by Cash App customer support. Immediately after making the Tweets Cash App customer support contacted me and asked me for my email address so it could look at my situation. I provided the email address and in response I was told that my case was being "escalated" for review by a "team member" who would reach out to me shortly. Throughout the past weekend I was told that I would be contacted "momentarily" or "shortly." This did not occur.

This morning (Monday) I contacted Cash App customer support through Twitter and I was asked for my email address again! The last word this morning from Cash App customer support is: "Thanks for that info, Scott! The team working on your case is just getting here for the morning. We've notified them again, and they'll be reaching out to you soon. Thanks for your patience, they'll follow up soon!" It's ironic that none of my attempts to move my money out of the Cash App account were successful because of Cash App declining to process the transactions for my "protection," yet hackers were successful on the first attempt to deplete my account. The $750 may not seem like a lot of money, but the theft of the money has put me one month behind in my rent. I certainly DO NOT RECOMMEND the use of Cash App, owned by Square.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I've only had the app a couple of months and today I'm accused of violating terms in Section 4 and 5 and told I can no longer send or receive money. In addition, a recent transaction I made to deposit $50.25 into my Chase bank will be reversed. I have deposited money from the same Chase account into Cash App several times but now putting some back is being reversed along with the rest of my money I can't touch? Thus, they can just keep my $191 balance and the $50.25 transfer they're going to reverse? Wow, like what the heck is going on here that this place is allowed to steal from us. Isn't this illegal? What a scam!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

On July 23rd I had a customer’s associate pay an invoice of $10,000.00, the transaction was from American Express to my Square account. Everything had gone as smooth as expected. Transaction made that same day. On Oct. 22nd three months later Square gave me notice that they would be withdrawing $10,000.00 from my bank account for unknown reasons, unknown as to why? An option as to a resolution was presented after that had charged my Square account the $10,000.00 and made a request to my bank for the $10,000.00 also. The representative I spoke with were misleading as to what was occurring and later had to be cleared up by a supervisor. Basically, we are taking $10,000.00 from your account and that’s that.

I contacted my customer and he verified with his associate the associate did not dispute the charge with American Express and the associate further sent me an email stating he did not dispute the charge and that American Express initiated the verification with Square on their own. I provided Square with that documentation and they said they called American Express and the challenge had not been cancelled. I forwarded that information to the associate and he said he called American Express to make sure it was cancelled. The dispute department of Square is very sensitive to you telling them the truth that they do not want to hear. They asked for written information and they will not rely upon it.

I went further and contacted American Express and they wanted to talk to Square and resolve the issue, but Square had rescinded all my phone privileges and we could not get though. Square has cut off all communication except email and 24 hours to 5 days to respond. At this point Square has suspended all recurring billing to all my customers and I must find a new service provider and redo all the clients with recurring monthly invoices. I will state that I have never had an issue with Square prior to this and did not become concerned until I witnessed Square’s reluctance to settle the issue and further their access to my bank account to withdraw funds is unbelievable. Further, I did not really get alarmed until I started reading all the other people that is having virtually the exact circumstance with Square.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

On July 24th I had a customer pay her invoice of $702.04, the transaction was with Square. Everything had gone as smooth as expected. Transaction made that same day. On September 4th, a month and a half later square gave me notice that they would be withdrawing $702.04 from my bank account for unknown reasons, unknown as to why? Not an option as to a resolution, an argument, explanation, nothing! Just were taking $702.04 from your account and that’s that.

What I later found out is that my customer who was elderly, and who had been satisfied with my services and the transaction of paying her bill, was now concerned when she got her Credit Card statement, the $702.04 charge that showed up on her credit card statement was vague in description on what it was and from where, again another Square problem I believe. So being concerned and she honestly didn’t remember the transaction, she argued with the credit card company Chase to refund her the $702.04. After getting notice from Square through my email I traced back and called my customer immediately of what was going on and what to expect. She had apologized and said she would call Chase and have them return the funds ASAP and close out the invoice, and she did.

On September 10th Square sent me an email that they no longer can support processing any future transactions from my company, again no reason to why? Nothing? All I can think of is that the charge looked fraudulent by not using the card swipe attachment, Well Square, don’t sell the idea of being able to process cards if you’re just going to screw your customers out of their funds in the end and not give your customer an opportunity to explain the situation. Or make it policy to always use a card reader. Even though I’ve never had any issues with any fraud. I read Squares terms of the use agreement and I don’t fit any of the services that they list to be a concern.

Now the problem is I have a customer who paid me (Square), and claims that she has called chase and instructed them to credit back the amount owed, Chase claims (I have paper work documentation for this transaction) that they credited the account back on the 7th (I have letter documentation proving this, Chase Ref# ** Chase 1-888-862-3267) as of today Square won’t respond to any emails from me and or phone messages, they stole my customers payment and won't credit my account. This organization is NOT about customer service and they offer no help at all. Stay away from this company. It's not worth the headache!

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

If I can give these piece of ** a 0 star I would. For the past year I have been spreading my invite links all over YouTube, Facebook, Craigslist and elsewhere. I literally woke up to non stop rapid fast rate of notification on my phone of these piece of ** refunding back every one and last of the $5 invited I accumulated over a year span. I was in disbelief of what was going on. All my college friends were shock as we look at all the money I gained was just disappearing in front of our eyes. I will never ever use cash app again for what they have done. They also closed my card. All left for them to do is now closed my account by logging me out. I sent them 3 angry emails and all they done was sent me a generic message about some case I never even wrote them about. Must be their way of just side tracking me by not replying and simply ignoring my messages. It's alright though. I will spread this on every forum until they crumbles.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I really hope this review helps someone who went through the same incident as myself. This review is for people who had three (small or big) cash transactions taken out of their checking accounts. I am not a merchant. I do not have the Square Up app, nor the Square Cash app on my phone. I deal with many merchants that use Square Up. I paid a merchant that uses Square Up. I swiped my card, and signed. The purchase was done on a Saturday. I checked my checking account on Monday and right after that point of sale transaction there were 3 $10 cash debits totaling $30 from Square Cash.

I transferred all of my money out of my checking account into another account. I called my bank, canceled my debit card, & was informed I would be credited back the $30 and any fees occurred from me emptying my account. My bank informed me that due to the small amount there would be no investigation by my bank or Visa. If you are not a merchant there is no telephone number that you can call to contact Square Up or Square Cash. I emailed Square Up informing them of what happened. I received an email informing me to contact Square Cash. I emailed them again informing them I cannot contact anyone in Square Cash because I am not a merchant nor do I have the app. I received the exact same email response but at the bottom of the email it had my first email and a case number. I have received no assistance regarding what happened. This happened over a period of three days.

I contacted the District attorney’s office of where I live, & I was able to speak with the investigator. He informed me because the amount was small my police report might not even be accepted. He did say what occurred to me was identity theft. He told me what I needed to do. All 3 of my credit reports were already locked, and frozen because of what happened with Equifax a few years ago. I contacted TransUnion online and informed them I was a victim of identity theft. This information was documented on my credit report and TransUnion forwarded that information to Experian, and Equifax. I contacted the Fair Trade Commission online and filed a complaint for identity theft. The entire process took approximately 15 minutes. They will ask for your checking account number and routing number.

After what happened I’m a little paranoid so I gave my routing number but not my checking account number. I do believe the more info you give the more they have to go on, but I gave all other information that was requested. You need to give a statement, and you only get a certain amount of letters. I went straight to the point and gave the info that I believed was most important. They ask if you want to set up an account at the end of the process, and I opted to just in case something else happens.

Many merchants still use Square Up, and unfortunately this company is still active. One of the merchants I deal with requires me to use a credit/debit card to reserve an appointment. I’ve done this every time since January 2018, but a few months ago it saved my card info. I honestly can’t remember if it asked me or if it automatically did it. I allowed it, because it was convenient to not have to enter my card info each time. There’s my debit card info sitting available right in Square Up’s system.

After this incident I removed that card (which was already canceled), but the merchant I deal with requires a card to reserve an appointment. I know there are many people out here who do not believe in using credit cards and prefer cash or debit, but the protection we have can be limited. There are many credit cards that have zero fraud liability. So whether the thieves take $5 or $25,000 you are not liable, and it’s not your cash they are stealing. I have opted to using a credit card, especially if it’s a merchant with Square. This time it did ask me if I wanted to save my card on file, I opted not to.

I truly believe if more and more people file reports with the Federal Trade Commission, they eventually have to investigate this company. Hopefully, this will also call attention to how Square is conducting business with the merchants that have entrusted Square with handling their transactions. I know this review was long, but I want to give details that might help someone, or keep someone from having to go through this.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Beware of this company! I have never heard of them yet my account has been almost completely drained by fraudulent withdrawals by this company! I am unable to contact customer support because I don't have a sign in or access code. I never created the account! I am thankful I do not have an account with them because of their lack of security. They compare themselves to Venmo and PayPal, to service that I actually do use and have had no difficulty.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

If I would of know that is was a hassle I would have never went with this company. They asked for SSI number then I get my Square set up and I do 2 transactions and end up getting deactivated. Mind you I already sent everything they asked for but they were not quite specific so I sent what I could and thought was the right info and could never speak to anyone about it. Come to find out because a transaction that was $1000 is was suspicious and it was placed on hold and then 4 days later I’m told it’s deactivated. I no longer have access to the customer since they moved and cannot meet the customer to write a check or pay cash so thanks a whole Lot. ** Square. Don’t use this crap whatsoever. Not recommend nor would I give a 1 star review. They get a - -10 star from me.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I’ll keep in mind others use this for research or whatever. I will not give this one star for anything. I’m not happy with their customer support or the way they work their payroll. Everyone at my work got paid but me 5 days ago. Again you don’t deserve one star but I’m required to put at least one so they don’t feel so dumb I guess.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

On Sunday October 7, 2018 I paid my car insurance with my Cash App card online $401 and Direct General has not received my payment at all. Nobody to talk to. Just sending emails that aren’t getting answered. I have never had an issue until Sunday but this is ridiculous and something needs to be done.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Square's cash app has become a haven for scammers to scam money from people and Square is doing nothing about helping innocent victims get their money back. I was personally scammed out of sending money to someone using the app that I thought was a reputable seller but later found out after about 20-30 people posting about this person scamming them as well that it was a scam. I reported this to support immediately and I know many others did as well that they had sent money to this same individual. It has been a month without any assistance and I just received the following response below. They expect me to bother law enforcement over a transaction under $20? What a waste of law enforcement resources when they know this user scammed multiple people. They do not post anywhere that there is no buyer protection when sending money using the app.

Square used to be reputable company but I can guarantee people will stop seeing Square as a reputable way to send or receive payments if they allow the scammers to take over and start scamming people. This is the email I received from square support: "Please contact your local law enforcement and provide the details you know of the transaction to them. If you report the matter, Cash App would cooperate in their investigation. You can also share the following contact information below with law enforcement: lawenforcement@squareup.com."

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I transferred 150.00 to my cash app on Saturday, it should have taken 24 hours or less to get the funds. As on this morning Monday 10/08 I still have nothing & to top it all off speaking to someone is impossible. Had I known Customer Service was not an option I NEVER would have started using the Cash App.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

On October 6, 2018, I completed a request for payment in the amount of $25 via Cash App. The funds were taken from my account and sent to a card not listed on my recipient's account. My recipient double checked their settings and card balance to find out where the funds were deposited however did not see anything. Although My recipient was not able to access the payment, they were able to refund the payment with an option on the app. I, on the other hand, was not able to see any record of a refund on my Cash App account or on my card balance. We tried finding a contact number to speak with someone in support, but it was found that they do not provide phone support. I followed their instructions and sent an email. I am currently waiting for a response from support.

I am very frustrated that they do not have any kind of customer phone support and an effective tracking system for the disbursement and refund of money. If their app is incapable of handling something as simple as that I do not think it's an app that should be available for the general public or available on Google Play or Apple Store. Cash App is a faulty app and provides no customer support to help with its many issues. I do not recommend using it!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Quite simple, last Friday I sent $670 to my mom... but she changed her phone number, and thus I canceled the transfer immediately (account now linked via other phone number). The Cash App, reflects this cancellation, yet I still HAVE NOT received the funds back in my account (it's been 5 days). I still have an authorization for $670 and that money cannot be used until the authorization is released. I spoke to Bank of America, and they said they are waiting for info from Square Cash. Today is 10/3/18 - my name is Lionel ** - I'm asking Square Cash to stop holding my money hostage... it's bad enough that you charge fees for transfers... use Zelle people, avoid the THIEVES!!!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

My daughter sent me 200.00 on Sept 23rd, Cash App withdrew the money from her account but did not deposit it into mine. We waited 8 days. After that my daughter and I tried to contact Cash App, and were shocked to find that this company Square Cash, who operates the Cash App does not have a phone number available to contact Cash App. They will only give a contact number if you sign up for Square Cash and get a code, but even then you can't get help. I have emailed them several times on their Support email and as you can guess, they responded with "We have received your email and will get back to you shortly."

They have not contacted us. This company needs to be reported to the BBB and I am ready to do that. Companies like this who steal your money and won't give a phone number so their customers can get help need to be shut down. My daughter, who is a single mom pays her rent through Cash App and now she is out $200.00 and doesn't have enough money to pay that portion of her rent (she rents from us) again and buy food for her year old son who is a cancer survivor. Shame on them.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I do not have an account with, nor have I used Square. While balancing my checkbook I noticed three transactions from Square cash. I immediately canceled my card. I then spent two hours attempting to contact Square to investigate the fraudulent charges. They are next to impossible to reach over the phone without registering and receiving a code from them. After researching the company, I found out that they allow an individual to manually enter credit card information without having the physical card. That screams of stupidity and invites fraud. Something should be done to close these bottom feeders company.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

DO NOT USE THIS APP! I have contacted these people 8 times & I have not received a response. They do not have a phone number for customer service. Only an email they hide behind & will never reply. They are holding a rightfully owed refund & when I contacted them all of a sudden my account went -$7.79 on 9-28-18. I wake up on 9-29-18 & it’s negative -$12.00. I did NOT make any charges & there is nothing in my activity stating where these charges are coming from.

CASH APP is all over the internet with several complaints. They’re ripping people off & why? Instead of giving my refund that was clearly provided by the merchant I paid & responding to the complaints & inquiries I’ve made to them they’ve insulted me by putting my account in the negative for unknown & unexplained reasons. Federal states that when charging consumers any finance company or company such as CASH APP has to state & show where charges are coming from & why. I will not let them get away with this. There are over 140 people complaining on Consumer Affairs alone & I am contacting every person for a class action lawsuit. I’m also filing a complaint with the SEC.

(Original Complaint) My cashtag is **. I’m inquiring about a $130 refund from *Becollgewi that was given to me for my son's SAT Bootcamp. I have contacted your company by email 8 times & I have not received a response. I need to know why you are holding & keeping my refund. I need it released immediately. There is no legal nor reasonable reason on earth why you should be holding a refund given to me by the company I paid. Your inexcusable action is causing me a great disservice. I am in process of contacting every legal agency to file complaints.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

Be careful and stay away from that company!!! They deactivated our account without any notice and the reason is: "business is prohibited by the Merchant User Agreement". So what happens after 2 years that you need to shut down our payments immediately? And even the phone support you shut down for us! Shame on you. Next time give your customers more time to find another better provider!

Square expert review by Beverly Harzog

Jack Dorsey, co-founder of Twitter, is Square's CEO and co-founder. The company offers a credit card reader that attaches to your smart phone or tablet as well as wireless equipment for other types of payments.

• No long-term contracts: Signing up is free and doesn’t require a commitment.

• Free Square reader: Sign up and receive a free Square magstripe reader.

• Wireless Square reader for EMV cards, contactless cards and NFC payments: Accept every way your customer wants to pay. With this one reader, they can use Apple Pay (NFC) or EMV chip cards. With the free Square magstripe reader, you are set up to process all payments.

• Customer Directory: Integrates with Square and adds your customer to its directory. You can view profiles, sort customers into groups, see spending habits and more.

• Tax-preparation shortcuts: Built-in tools instantly complete a spreadsheet in one click to detail sales history faster.

• Square Dashboard: Create an online store and have it hosted by Square. You can sell online and manage it all in Square Dashboard.

• Square Inventory alerts: Get daily stock alert emails instantly whenever inventory items start running out.

• Transparent pricing: Flat rate of 2.25 percent (per swipe, dip, or tap). For manually entered transactions, rate is 3.5 percent + $0.15.

• Best for: Professional service providers, online shop owners, mobile vendors and retailers seeking simple, secure, and easy credit card processing.

Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
    Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Square Company Information