3.5/5 (3017 ratings)

About Square

Square offers multiple tools to make life more simple for business owners. The company helps business owners send invoices, accept online payments and offer delivery, pickup and shipping options. It also helps set up online stores. Square has solutions for multiple businesses, including retail stores and restaurants.

Square Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Square?

Original review: March 24, 2022

Square allowed us to re-open our school cafeteria for cashless payments quickly and easily! We had been looking for an affordable system and had no luck until Square. The backroom reporting is clear and easy to understand. The POS system in the cafeteria is quick and user friendly. Reloadable gift cards have been a big seller for us here at the school. The cards are easy to track and clear balances if cards are lost or stolen. Ordering customized cards is quick and easy. Love the flexibility of the system and the online Dashboard for the back end reports, etc. Is easy to navigate and print all the required information for our auditors! Keep up the great work. :)

Original review: March 8, 2022

I am a Massage Therapist and Energy Worker. My business would not be up and running without Square to support me with payment processing, appointment scheduling and so much more. I have both services and products to sell, and Square lets me take care of both and keep track of everything myself. Square offers more business tools in one place than anyone else with a better value. Integrations and additional services through Square Capital keep me and my business running smoothly. I could not have made a better decision than to sign up with Square.

Get buying tips about Credit Card Processing delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 8, 2022

Point of sale is great for everyone starting their own business funds transfer as instant as you want. They also finance to help your buisness grow, point of sale couldn’t be anymore easier. Overall I'm a happy customer!

Original review: March 7, 2022

Square comes in handy for each of my unique customer transactions. Whether it be setting up an order or charging a customer it's a great way to constantly stay engaged with each of my current or potential new clients. Customers can pay online through my connected website or text me by phone. It's simple to use and I highly recommend it for its ease of use for not only myself but clients as well.

Original review: March 2, 2022

I am a studio salon owner, Square has helped me with my professionalism. And stay on top of my goals and my client's needs. Every time I get tempted by other competitors, Square comes out with some other feature that keep me loyal.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2023

INSTALL SQUARE AT YOUR OWN PERIL!!! If you are an honest small business that is dependent on getting paid in a timely manner THIS IS NOT GOING TO BE A GOOD BUSINESS FOR YOU. GS GIGS LLC is my business. I am a handyman that does all my work up front even buying materials first before charging the client including Air conditioners and or appliances then I install them. Only then do I charge the client. I have a total of 5 credit card paying clients which I have had for over 3 years. With a total of 22 clients. In 3 years I have had 0 yes that is a 0 complaints! 5 of those clients approached me about taking credit cards so I signed up to square and at first for about a month it was fine. Then out of the blue with no explanation they started holding 100% of my customers payments to me for approximately 1 week.

After I would call and talk to their horrible customer service, I would get an email with a bunch of question resulting in the same response we have to investigate to make sure it is not fraud. Every time for the same 5 clients. Of course they would not call the client to confirm they would just randomly deposit the money into my account about a week later with no explanation. This would happen multiple times with the same 5 clients. No new clients no new or out of the ordinary charges.

I finally was working at a clients house who worked for Square and I complained to him so they said they would compromise and only take 20% and hold it as a reserve for 60 days chargebacks or complaints were filed, they would release it. They informed me that it would be temporary FOR 6 MONTHS (THEN) after six months if there were no complaints then it would be reviewed and removed. (Since they said the reason they were doing this was I was a new client and they wanted to make sure there was no fraud. I didn't like it but at least it was a logical reason and a def time period that I could look forward to.

So for six months they have taken 20% out for 60 days. I only have 5 clients I had no complaints, no chargebacks and nothing out of the ordinary so when I called last week they said it would be 3 to 5 days and it would be removed. Afterwards still nothing. So I called again yesterday they said it would be 24 hours so then I called again today and after hearing the same it’ll be another 3 to 5 business days I got frustrated and then the next email I received was they aren’t changing anything and they will continue to remove 20%.

The email stated 4 reasons that they hold reserves...
    - Prepayment for goods or services.
    - Chargeback rates in your industry.
    - Chargeback rate for your account.
    - Sporadic processing activity.

- New to Square.

I don’t take payment upfront, I don’t have any complaints, I only have 5 credit card clients, I don’t have any chargebacks and I’m not new (according to square) SO LEARN FROM MY MISTAKE AND DON'T SIGN UP FOR SQUARE.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2023

My wife and I run a business which has a trust account connected to Square. We signed up and had one of our client made our first transaction. Square put money on hold in March 2022 and still keeps it. We have called Square for a resolution and they keep telling us that their technology malfunctioned and they are looking into it. The amount our client paid was almost $20,000, which was supposed to be used to rent their home. Imagine the frustration when that rent wasn’t happening and Square keeps the money for almost a year!!

Then Square representative said the money was finally available and will be deposited to our bank. But instead, Square tech tried taking another almost $20,000 from our bank! Thanks to Bank of America who blocked the transaction as fraud. Square is a fraud indeed!! Now our Square account shows zero balance and we still did not get the money to refund to our client. What a sham! They say they are in technology business….

Original review: Jan. 26, 2023

Square cut my customer phone support when I suspected them to be a phishing inquiry. I found out someone had changed my phone number on their site. I never log into it. The entry had to be on their server. I have both emailed and snail mailed request to reinstate phone support. They refuse! I am now looking for another credit card processing company. DO NOT EXPECT HELP FROM THIS COMPANY! I own a computer repair company so I help several clients each week who have been hacked. Square did not understand my concerns at the questions they were asking to verify my account, they appeared to be phishing questions.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2023

As a million dollar customer I can't believe they offer 0 customer service, especially during a fraud situation where it leaves our company in a difficult position with transacting business. Definitely switching to someone who appreciate our business.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2023

We got Square for 1 week. After 10 to 15 time account being suspended and back on asking for proof of my company that's need open for 5 years with gross of 2.5m in sales the account got reopen now for the 10th time. Two days later they tried to pull out 3k from my account for some debt a comp has with a similar name as ours with different tax numbers but they took the money from us. We are disputing this with our bank.

Square author review by Beverly Harzog

Jack Dorsey, co-founder of Twitter, is Square's CEO and co-founder. The company offers a credit card reader that attaches to your smart phone or tablet as well as wireless equipment for other types of payments.

• No long-term contracts: Signing up is free and doesn’t require a commitment.

• Free Square reader: Sign up and receive a free Square magstripe reader.

• Wireless Square reader for EMV cards, contactless cards and NFC payments: Accept every way your customer wants to pay. With this one reader, they can use Apple Pay (NFC) or EMV chip cards. With the free Square magstripe reader, you are set up to process all payments.

• Customer Directory: Integrates with Square and adds your customer to its directory. You can view profiles, sort customers into groups, see spending habits and more.

• Tax-preparation shortcuts: Built-in tools instantly complete a spreadsheet in one click to detail sales history faster.

• Square Dashboard: Create an online store and have it hosted by Square. You can sell online and manage it all in Square Dashboard.

• Square Inventory alerts: Get daily stock alert emails instantly whenever inventory items start running out.

• Transparent pricing: Flat rate of 2.25 percent (per swipe, dip, or tap). For manually entered transactions, rate is 3.5 percent + $0.15.

by Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Advisor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Square Company Information