1.55/5
  • 1 star
Based on 65 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need credit card processing?
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 15, 2017

65 Square Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

Used them as my credit card processor, had no problems with them. For a few years things went well, although I use them sparingly. The last transaction a fairly large one for me, they are holding my money, my client has no problems with transaction going through. I am small and I need my money to pay suppliers, they are getting me in a bind. No way to call them. Email is very slow to no response. Use caution with Square.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

I have been working with customer service for a week or so. My device worked with the card reader for months. Now it isn't. First they tell me my device is compatible then they tell me it isn't. I'm supposed to go buy a new device that works with the reader. Sorry, nope. They changed something that made my stuff stop working so now I'm going to switch to another provider. Was great while it lasted.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

We were looking for a simple way of processing our credit card charges and someone mentioned Square had a very easy to use desktop application that worked well for "card not present" type charges. It is an easy to use format, unfortunately, it's what happens next that is really just beyond belief. My company has been in business for over 35 years and sells nearly exclusively to the wholesale trade. Our customers are known to us, so it is extremely rare for us to have a chargeback or any issues at all with the charges we process.

For some reason when we began using Square it was only about a week before they put our account on hold and requested a bunch of additional info. They say that there were "security related issues" that required the additional info they requested (3 months bank statements, government ID, copies of invoices, a description of our product and info about our presence on the web, etc.) so we sent the info and waited, seeing them process over $65,000 of our charges without depositing any of this money into our bank account.

When I found out they were holding up this money it was a Saturday morning, but Square's customer service department is closed on weekends so it was another three days before I was finally able to get through to ask what was going on, and even then there was nothing concrete they could tell me about why our money was being held up. We provided the documents they requested and finally about 10 days after the hold began our funds were again being deposited. Things ran fairly smoothly for the following week and then we received the same notice we had received earlier and once again our charges were being processed (withdrawn from customers bank accounts) but not deposited in our account. Once again a vague "security issue" was the alleged reason for the hold and once again the very same list of documents (bank statements, etc.) were requested.

When I was finally able to reach a real person at Square they had been holding our money for 10 days and the total this time was over $75,000. I told them it was incompetent of them to keep requesting the same documents we had already provided but the CS person said a "different group" was reviewing our account this time. This is nothing more than Square's attempt to make a little more money off the float sited into our bank account. We have had no security issues, no chargebacks, no complaints from customers, it is all just a made up fabrication by Square. We have filed complaints with multiple different government agencies at this point but while we wait for one of them to act and get these scamsters shut down, let me tell you this is not a place you want to go.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I sent $$ to my son, but I used an old number. Someone new has that number now and they happily claimed my cash without any trouble. Customer service recommends that I ask the lucky recipient to please give it back. Beware! A wrong number could cost you, and Square Cash will take no action to help!

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

My daughter and I just started using cash (Square). We have sent each other money a few times. However, this time $400 was sent to me and it says that I need to verify information to receive my money. I put ALL my information in (name, full social, date of birth) and then it says they need a picture of my driver's license to move forward. With hesitation and frustration, I attempted to scan my driver's license. I allowed it to take a picture of the front of my DL then it says to scan the back.

Well, I attempted to do this for about 45 mins and it wouldn't take the picture. It keeps freezing. I emailed support several times, no response. I attempted to call but if you dont have code it doesnt let you speak to anyone. I searched online how to get the code and it just took me in circles. The only thing you can do is email. So I tell the sender (my daughter) to just cancel. It says she cant cancel or it will take several days for sender to get their money back. This is horrible. I will never use this app again and will make sure I let everyone know about my experience.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Square?

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

Like almost everything, they started very well... now it's a very bad company. I have an animal rental company for parties. One of my clients, after I made the event, reported that he had not done the event. We provide all the documents that certified the realization of the party. Square, withdrew the funds from my business account and informed me that they were in hold (the funds were withdrawn). After two months I was informed that the customer's bank had given the reason to his client and therefore my company lost the complaint. They're really nothing professional. I will cancel the account.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I've had a Square reader for many, many years... Since they first came out, I'd imagine. I don't have access to the e-mail address they have on file as I don't use it too often and have never had trouble with anything. I realized a few days ago that I haven't received my deposits for some transactions in September, so I logged into the actual website versus the mobile app. They said my account wasn't verified (been using it for at least 6 years) and it tried to get me to link a debit card. I had no problem doing this, but when doing so, it said I would receive an e-mail link to verify. I had an old Excite e-mail that I started in 1996 and no longer had access to, so there was no way to verify.

I tried to update to my current e-mail address that I've had for several years, but it would not allow me without verification of my old one via a link. There was no option to verify by mobile number (secure code) which is on file or by any other means. I tried to contact them, but it said my account wasn't able to use their phone service and I should e-mail. I googled the number and called, but I was not able to speak to anyone without having a predetermined code. As a last resort, I filled out the form and stated I did not have access to the email on file and asked if they could call me at the mobile number on file instead. I listed it again in case they were not able to view. This was nearly a week ago and I've heard nothing. They still show my balance and they're holding it. I have absolutely no way to get it out via bank transfer, check, etc. I have no idea what to do and they won't respond!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

I had Square for a few years now. I never had a problem with them. I randomly received a email saying my account has been deactivated because of I'm a high-risk and any funds in my account will be held for 90 days or longer. What's crazy is I hardly use Square and only use it's twice in November. Luckily I didn't have any money being process at the time. Customer service is no help. They just make you really run in circles.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

I sell an innocuous health supplement - just ONE - I am a nascent company and unfortunately placed my trust in Square payments as an option to PayPal so my customers could pay smoothly online with credit cards. Out of the blue, Square deactivated my account - for no reason - and even worse, there was NO WAY to contact them except via email and expect a response back in "1 to 3 days." They insist on a "customer code" that you must get from the website in order to have what seems to be a privilege to talk to them on the phone. But because my account was "permanently deactivated", I was not even eligible for a code, and so shoved to the email only contact category. WOW. Talk about being screwed, and with my business and money.

This is UNACCEPTABLE. I will be writing everywhere how horrible this company is. They are based in San Fransisco, CA - I am wondering if their targeting me for deactivation is POLITICAL. I am very suspicious of the way they are running this company. I feel there is corruption behind them. You just don't treat people like this. They either need to change drastically or be shut down. Seems they're getting too big and arrogant for their own good.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

My company has mobile reps who do about $1k a day in sales and require a mobile reader for card transactions. While Square is easy to setup and use, the company is impossible to deal with if there's a problem. Why was my account canceled after just 9 days? I'll probably never know because the only way to contact a person is to log in and get a code, but when your account has been canceled there's no way to log in. Email can take days/weeks due to Square's epically horrible customer service. This isn't the year 2000 -- as I have quickly learned, there are other mobile solutions that actually want your business. Clearly Square does not.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I used to rave about Square as I thought that they were the wave of the future and recommended them to so many people. However, suddenly my account is frozen, funds not deposited and I can't get in touch with anyone for days. Since, they don't have a phone number that works, or you can't call without a code, or can't call at all based on your account. I finally find a number and the girl doesn't know anything. I have to call back as they are on West Coast Time and a billion dollar company does not have 24 hour customer service so I have to wait until 1 PM to call again on the East Coast. Something changed on the dashboard and demanded a debit card to go with my account. I filled out the information and thank goodness took a screenshot since this information has now disappeared from their system.

I finally get in touch again, even though they were supposed to contact me, with them and they accuse me of owing them money. It is a huge amount, over $20,000 dollars in which I am not affiliated with this company, not shareholder, no an owner and not part of in any way. They have a different email address for this company's accounting department yet, they insist that it is me. I keep writing that I am not affiliated with this company. This is fraud. Can we resolve this? Contact that company's accounting department to figure out which is what they have in their records. However, they insist it is me, and the CASE IS CLOSED. No way to talk to anyone with half a brain, no more calls, only emails to robots who say CASE CLOSED.

Now, they are holding my money from my small business. I am trying to issue refunds to my clients but they took the money and now are trying to take more money from my account in which the funds were NOT DEPOSITED. SQUARE STOLE THEM. SQUARE SUCKS. SQUARE = FRAUD. This is extremely frustrating, upsetting and a terrible experience. I want to take them to court. I want to resolve this and it appears millions of other Americans are having the same frustrating experiences and challenges with this giant company.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I have used Square for years with absolutely zero problems. I never received not even one chargeback. All of a sudden, they send me an e-mail telling me they are terminating my account effective immediately due to "Transactions associated with high-risk activity." This couldn't be further from the truth. I run an I.T. consulting firm and my clients rely on me for sound I.T. advice and solutions. I keep my clients happy and have never once had a problem. This company will leave you in a lurch at a moment's notice without warning. I now process through another company who has no problem with us being an I.T. consulting firm.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

After receiving a payment from a customer, and waiting for 7 days for money to be transferred to my bank account which never happened, I called customer service and it took me 2.5 hours of waiting time to get to someone on the joke only to tell me that my bank information wasn’t active even though I’ve received payments before and had no issues. I was told that I had to set up my bank account again and it was going to take 5-7 days and then they can attempt to transfer the money again. No one contacted me or sent an email or anything to notify me that there was no bank information on my account anymore. It led to me having to refund the money and lose a customer because we were not able to perform the work needed when contracted to do so. When I was on the phone with Antoinette she was completely useless and offered no help whatsoever.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

I made a purchase for a friend using my credit card, the vendor used Square. Now every time I use a vendor that uses Square with that credit card Square sends a receipt to my friend! It isn't anyone's business where I shop or what I buy. Plus why does Square have my credit card information stored!!!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

My first transaction went fine. The second one Square asked questions for verification. I sent all the documents they requested. Next day I got a letter say my account is denied and my funds are being held... I was looking for a PayPal alternative. Square was recommended from a few different sites. They are definitely not a alternative. Guess I'll start searching again.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

When my husband & I purchased new cell phones 2 days ago, he could not transfer his old Square account onto his new phone, so he created a new account. He selected a new account through Google Gmail along with a new password. Then he made a very small credit card transaction with 2 different credit cards to make sure the system was making the correct deposits into our linked checking account.

The deposits were "verified", but the amounts from the credit cards were never deposited in our account. Square customer service told him that the email he selected was used by 2 other users, one in Canada & one in Germany & was now "flagged" as a problem. The Square agent told him if he wanted the situation resolved, Square would get their "tech support" team to delete the bad email file at the cost of $200. A friend who works in computers told my husband that was a steep cost for pushing a delete button. My husband is now working with PayPal, who have customer service agents you can understand on the phone. Beware of Square!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

Same as everyone else on here. We run a legitimate business and have a web design and development company helping people with online advertising and creating an online presence. We consistently do between 1000 - 5000 per day in revenue and all of sudden Square decided to shut our account down and hold funds. It's crazy and working with this company will bankrupt you or put you out of business. We should all get an attorney and start a class action lawsuit for damages that this company has caused. Against the American business owner. They apparently process $37 Billion per year. That has to be a good settlement for some lawyer and the rest of the business owners. Honestly more disappointed and heartbroken than anything. Being a business owner is hard enough but getting screwed by this company is just icing on the cake. I hope someone sues them for the damages they have caused.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

Made the mistake of giving my credit card number to a health care provider in NY who, for reasons I am not capable of understanding, uses "Square" or "Square Up" or whoever they really are for processing. The worst. And once they have your credit card number, they "save" it and you can't get it out of their files, so may need to do what it now seems I may have to do -- contact your issuer and have new card with new number issued. If you must give a credit card number to someone who processes through them, make sure it's a card with a very low $ limit.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

Ripped me off $462 of my disability money. I sent two transactions which they told me went through successfully. Days went by neither account received their money. So I signed onto my Square account and they had deactivated my account for no reason and was told they are holding my money for 180 days. This money is my social security income I used to make a transaction!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

Square is horrible. Deposited over 50k in total transactions then had 2 deposits same day from clients and get flagged. Sent in requested docs and got accused of fraud. They’re the fraudulent ones. Now they are holding my clients’ money and holding up job. Do not use them.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

I accepted a payment through two transactions in the amount of $4675 via credit card for the first time ever with Square's payment services. While awaiting deposit, I was informed that "verification" was required. I submitted supporting documents, including a copy of my government issued ID, an invoice for the transaction, and linked my bank account during this process. I called Square's customer service line, and a young woman assured me that all of the info I had provided was plenty, She assured me that verification would be complete soon, and I would have my deposit from this credit card transaction. (Please be aware that I also incurred a fee of 3.5% of the total, plus 1% for a same day deposit.) After speaking to the woman, later in the day, I received an email from Square, stating that I had violated the Terms of Service, and my account would be deactivated.

Adding insult to injury, I was informed via this email that they would further be holding my funds for 90 days. I was given no as to how I had violated their terms of service, nor was I given any avenue of recourse. It seemed to be a simple "out of luck" situation. I could not even get anyone on the phone, because the "customer number" they give you, only led to a recording, explaining that my account was in violation, and that my funds would be held for the duration mentioned in the email.

The recording said I could contact Square, however, they gave no means of contact or email, only a link to a FAQ section on their site, with a link to a copy of their terms of service. I read these carefully, and considerately, and cannot find where I am in violation of their terms. I wasn't given any chance to explain myself, or correct whatever might have been a mistake on my verification forms. I would just like my money that I earned from this company, and I do not think it is fair or legal that they hold my funds until December 31st or 90 days. I've filed complaints with the BBB & the FTC, but am hoping that I ACTUALLY even get to see my money at some point. If anyone has had any luck in recovering their funds, please contact me or comment.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

Moronic customer service. Impossible to get answers. Funds went into space. Spent hours on the phone and emails trying to recover the $170 my son sent me. Horrible company. No ethics. No proper way to communicate. The Comcast of money transfers, they should be shut down.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I have been a Square account and I have been a client for 4 yrs. Today for the first time after charging a customer's credit card they held the 15K and did not deposit. Then they asked me to give the client's full name, address, zip, credit card, cvv number and provide 3 months bank statements and my corporate filing documents or they would not deposit the funds. When I called the help desk they would not discuss this issue unless I provided the above "validation" documents. I checked with my bank and they said this was highly inappropriate for them to request this information and it must be a scam. When I go online there is no way to get a person and now their site says it point of sale processes in North America are not available. They also say it will be 9-14 days before my clients’ money is processed back as a refund!!! This company is a complete SHAM!!!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

I have about $1300.00 in my Square account for last 5 months and I asked him to issue me a check. The guy from customer service told me it may take up to 30 days. After 30 days no check. I tried calling them but my account is not eligible for phone contact. I sent numerous emails. The same guy is telling me the check was returned due to wrong address. I checked my address on my profile it is the correct address. I provided my new address via email and he is telling me that it will take another 30 days. If my first check was returned due to wrong address how long does it take for you to Mail it out again? Then I figured they never issued the check so I waited for 2 more weeks then I got an email from the same guy stating that my check is in the mail and I will be receiving it shortly.

It has been 3 weeks still no check in the mail and I keep sending emails no response. Can't get hold of anyone over there to find out where my $1300.00 is. I'm so frustrated with this company and my last option is taking them to small claim court or get an attorney involved. It's a big shame for founder of this company who also is the founder of Twitter. Be aware of doing business with Square.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

I had used Square in the past to process credit and debit card transactions from my customers for good and services. The only good thing is taking a card and using your phone, after this it is a DEBACLE. I did a transaction for over $2500. Nowhere are you told there is a transaction limit. AND YES LIKE THE OTHER REVIEWER SAID THEY ARE A BUNCH OF MORONS! They don't have the most basic information. I ask them where does it say my transaction limit when I log in? This week I inquire about getting the $2500 limit raised and of course the MORON on the phone doesn't know and says someone will call me with the information.

I go to my account and it is UNDER REVIEW, they did this before when I took a payment over $2500 and they held the funds. This week my account is under review again though I DID NOT ASK FOR MY LIMIT TO BE RAISED. I JUST WANTED SOME INFORMATION!! So now they want 3 months of bank statement and I say NO WAY. I don't trust these people. They put you on hold with different levels of service based on how they rate you and sometimes you can't even call them, they make you log in then enter a code when you call, then they have a system which at times they will say you aren't eligible to talk to them.

The guy today was rude and I told him I didn't ask for a review at all or an increase. Just wanted info. He said "Well it already started" and said if I didn't want to send the documents then they would send an email with their decision and HUNG UP! Frigging punk!! And it says "If you don't SEND THE DOCUMENTS your account remains suspended!!" So I called up after using them for a year to ask a question they didn't have and they suspend my account?? DO NOT USE THESE IDIOTS! If you get a payment and want to deposit immediately they charge an extra 1% and are taking up to over 4% of your money and provide the worst, most arrogant, incompetent service of all time!

It took 8 days for them to respond after their email stating a response would come in 1-3 days. Then the emails don't even make sense then suspend my account for a review that I didn't ask for. Like the guy said in other review he was wondering if they are morons? They are arrogant, ignorant morons without the slightest interest in anything but taking your money!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

Not sure if this is a fraud of just a bunch of morons - Used them for close to a year, then suddenly account got disabled, supposedly because it was violating their term - which is BS, it is 100% in compliance with all terms, just some highly educated support clown decided that it did not like my business. Pretty sure my money in the account is something I will only see after going through the courts and the money I paid for their credit card readers is most likely gone as well. All because of a single mother... reta... piece of useless ** that works in the "support" department of these crooked communist p. gs. AVOID THESE SCAMMERS AT ALL COST!!! They do with you whatever they want, don't even give you a number to call and complain. OUT OF BUSINESS is all they should be and dragged to court for their utterly pathetic practice.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

As a business owner of just under 40 years, we are extremely disappointed with SQUARE for our merchant processing services. We switched to Square because of their claims of flat fee, dispute support (and payment if you lose), in November 2015, ease, etc. Of course, shortly after we switched to SQUARE, they raised their flat fee. They have limited hours to get a hold of them and you need a code each time you call. They usually don't pick up phone and you have to enter your code and wait for a call back. They have no hours after 6pm PST Monday-Friday and NO HOURS on weekends. There is no place to email from their website or portal. You can't review them on Yelp, Google, etc because for some reason they are hidden from those spots. After finding this option and reading all of the negative reviews, I realize I am not alone.

We had a customer submit a chargeback for 4 months of services totaling $4000.00 with our company (something that they had received for 2 years). We submitted contracts and over 80 pages of supporting documents which included emails and proof of services received and rendered. We won the first round and then the customer submitted a one page fraudulent letter that they requested to stop services immediately back in December 2016 which was a lie because we continued to provide services for December, January, February, March and April 2017 before the dispute was submitted late April 2017.

Also, we require a 30 day notice and you can't stop services effective immediately per our contract. Again, we submitted all of the documents and then received email from SQUARE that it was resolved in customers favor. We were told by SQUARE that it is the cost of doing business. We could take them to small claims court, etc but it was done with SQUARE and they couldn't provide us with THEIR CC company information and that it was protected by law. We knew it was MasterCard, but that was it.

Of course, we didn't receive the SQUARE dispute protection because of the amount (so don't pick SQAURE for this reason as you will never receive it). We were also told by Square representative that sometimes the CC companies let the customer win if they are good customers that use their card a lot. We know that the customer that initiated the chargeback probably spends about $200,000 a year with their MasterCard. But, that doesn't mean that they should be allowed to STEAL and file fraudulent disputes that cost businesses AND ultimately all customers with higher fees, etc. Legal contracts should be upheld and theft shouldn't be tolerated.

In addition, the process of dispute stunk. We were provided with NO information on the dispute other than a 1 sentence reason code. First time, customer said services not received. When we proved that and won, they submitted dispute as customer requesting credit. That was it. Not even sure that Square submitted all of our documents. Plus, it is HARD to submit supporting evidence to SQUARE. It is not user friendly and it is very time consuming. We had 100% of the documentation and proof. This should have been a slam dunk! Also, in almost 40 years of business we have always won 100% of chargebacks prior to SQUARE. Now, with SQUARE we lost?!

Please heed our warning and go with traditional merchant processing company with good customer support (hours, options like chat/email/phone) AND will protect you against fraudulent claims and disputes so you CAN stay in business. So, we are moving back to traditional Merchant Credit Card processing company. Someone needs to look into Square regarding their business practices, etc??? Too many complaints here to not open an investigation. BUSINESS AND BUYER BEWARE.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

We use Square for our credit card processing for two different businesses and have for 5 plus years. We use both options to either swipe or key in. Funds are posted to our account quickly and have only had 1 issue during this time with a charge back. Unfortunately, they tend to side with the consumer more often than not in my experience. We like that we aren't under a contract and there aren't any excessive monthly report fees. The per transaction fee and percentage is manageable.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

I have been a Square user for my business for the past two years. I dont do a ton of volume but enough for them to have accommodated me better than they did. I got a new bank account and had trouble getting it on my account. Therefore, I messaged a Square associate who said it was "all set" to put funds in and charge. When I did this they went into my old account which was closed. I lost over 250.00. When I contacted Square they said there was nothing they could do and they could not reverse the charges. I was extremely disappointed and am never using Square again. Small business owner beware!!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

I started processing over the weekend with Square. I billed 4 clients and then my account needed more documentation. I supplied all the requested documentation and within 5 hours my account was disabled. It appears they are holding my money. Definitely seems like a scam!

Square expert review by Beverly Harzog

Jack Dorsey, co-founder of Twitter, is Square's CEO and co-founder. The company offers a credit card reader that attaches to your smart phone or tablet as well as wireless equipment for other types of payments.

• No long-term contracts: Signing up is free and doesn’t require a commitment.

• Free Square reader: Sign up and receive a free Square magstripe reader.

• Wireless Square reader for EMV cards, contactless cards and NFC payments: Accept every way your customer wants to pay. With this one reader, they can use Apple Pay (NFC) or EMV chip cards. With the free Square magstripe reader, you are set up to process all payments.

• Customer Directory: Integrates with Square and adds your customer to its directory. You can view profiles, sort customers into groups, see spending habits and more.

• Tax-preparation shortcuts: Built-in tools instantly complete a spreadsheet in one click to detail sales history faster.

• Square Dashboard: Create an online store and have it hosted by Square. You can sell online and manage it all in Square Dashboard.

• Square Inventory alerts: Get daily stock alert emails instantly whenever inventory items start running out.

• Transparent pricing: Flat rate of 2.25 percent (per swipe, dip, or tap). For manually entered transactions, rate is 3.5 percent + $0.15.

• Best for: Professional service providers, online shop owners, mobile vendors and retailers seeking simple, secure, and easy credit card processing.

Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
Beverly Harzog

Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Square Company Information