Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.97/5

Square offers multiple tools to make life more simple for business owners. The company helps business owners send invoices, accept online payments and offer delivery, pickup and shipping options. It also helps set up online stores. Square has solutions for multiple businesses, including retail stores and restaurants.

Square Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Square?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Square?

Original review: Dec. 3, 2020

Square has been processing my credit card sales for years, I have had not one single problem or issue ever. Nothing but perfection since day one. Square is always seeking ways to assist business owners all the time with new innovative products and services. They simply never stop trying to help me and my business.

Original review: June 10, 2020

I've used the app with reader for over 5 years. I’ve been thoroughly happy with it. I bought and sold gift cards for my salon business, this past holiday season, simple to use and redeem. I use the appointment scheduling also and love that it sends reminders for guest appointments. It’s also user friendly, easy to set up.

Get buying tips about Credit Card Processing delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 9, 2020

This is an awesome and easy to use to take credit cards in the field with your phone or tablet. They send you the readers free of charge and you can get same deposit for a small. I love it. There is no monthly fees at all.

Original review: June 2, 2020

Our company has benefitted from Square's Professionalism. The Square Dashboard is comprehensive. Square handles our Appointments and Notifications. Processes our payments and accurately reports our transactions. Square Capital is also a very comfortable and convenient way to provide funding for small business when traditional banks are unfriendly.

Original review: June 2, 2020

Square is constantly innovating ideas that can benefit the small businesses. It truly is a one stop shop that does NOT nickle and dime you with fees. You pay what they said you would pay... No more and actually sometimes less. It would be in the best interest of your company to at least check them out.

Original review: March 4, 2021

Square is so easy and accurate. Square is always growing to provide additional resources to provide to their merchants to assist them in their business ventures. Square is a business partner you can count on!!

Original review: March 2, 2021

Some time ago Square purchased the Weebly platform. Square online store users were migrated over to the Weebly platform. What I found in my experience is a partially functional website platform with poor SEO capabilities. The Square/Weebly users have a dashboard to add in their products, description and pricing. But NO ability to add H Tags to pages. None. Their code injector, Embed Code Section has a bug that corrupts any properly written syntax code after publishing. I have spent almost half a year with Square tech support with no resolution. I am not permitted to talk to advance tech support and keep getting told that my case would be elevated countless time. There are other Square Online store users with the same complaint. Bing Webmaster confirms what I am saying as well. I don't recommend the Square/Weebly Online store. I will be changing over soon. There are other platform with better tech support with fully functioning SEO capabilities.

Original review: March 1, 2021

In September 2020 my company completed an Artful Bachelorette Party for my client. The client was sent photos for her event and wrote a 5 star review and thank you note praising my company for a great event. In October 2020 we were notified from Square that a dispute had been raised: "Customer claimed credit was owed." We called the client and she denied raising any disputes, stated she had a great experience with us and had no idea what that was about.

In November 2020 I responded to the dispute thinking it was an administration error. I explained that this client received a full two hour live figure drawing class in September. The client was very happy and left us a great review. We contacted her today and she said that this dispute is a mistake and she never ordered it. I assumed that the $1,109.12 would be credited back to me when a human took a look and would see the error and fix it. In December 2020 Square said that the dispute had gone in the client's favor. I again contact the client, she again denied the claim and also said she has not received a credit/refund and sent screenshots showing her bank statements showing that she had no disputes open in 2020.

In December, January and February I had many phone calls and emails with my Square account manager who agreed that there must be a mistake. I asked her to escalate the dispute and to get a manager and/or someone from the Disputes department to take a better look and get back to me on where the money is. To this date March 1st, I still have no answers on this. There has been no transparency. I'm down $1,109.22. The client claims that they never received the credit so where is the $1,109.22.

Square has been very secretive, unhelpful, and someone has my money and nobody is helping me find it. I have run thousands of events, what if other people started disputing their events after they have had them? It is hard enough being a small business, trying to survive during a pandemic without having to try and fight for money you have rightfully earned. It is also awful that after giving a client a 5 star experience I had to taint it by constantly asking her if she disputed me and asking her to prove that she didn't. Very embarrassing and tarnishing for my brand. I'm hoping this doesn't happen to anybody else.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2021

Transactions instantly is a plain lie! Found out mine was going to be 30 days! After 35 I complained. They sent email after that saying they closed my account and are holding my money for 90 days, at which point I will lose my money because of penalties! Because I called a lawyer! This is email!!! "Our account services team has reviewed your account and determined that we are no longer able to support processing your payments. Starting today, your account with Square is deactivated. Any funds in your account balance will be held for a period of 90 days, and are due to be released to you within 2 business days after may 09 2021. Please be advised that the release date and amount available for release may change based factors that include receiving additional chargebacks after this notice!" basically they stole every dime I put in the account! Do not use this company! Even their merchant handlers said they are dropping square! Please spread this so people don't get robbed by them too!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2021

My girlfriend started a small business so I suggested Square. After her first transaction she was billed over $1,800 dollars. We called together to find out what happened. The representative informed us that an account was opened almost 10 years prior with charge backs. She has an ex that is a small time thief that opened a few accounts in her name so we knew where it came from. We tried working with the representative but all they wanted us to do was verbally accept responsibility for the charges like a debt collector which we knew not to do. They refused to provide the account information even through my gf verified her identity and refused to even consider looking into the ex whom we know did it. We even provided contact information that they can trace but they were more interested in getting her to accept the debt (that is easier for them after all). That is horrible customer experience!

Square author review by Beverly Harzog

Jack Dorsey, co-founder of Twitter, is Square's CEO and co-founder. The company offers a credit card reader that attaches to your smart phone or tablet as well as wireless equipment for other types of payments.

• No long-term contracts: Signing up is free and doesn’t require a commitment.

• Free Square reader: Sign up and receive a free Square magstripe reader.

• Wireless Square reader for EMV cards, contactless cards and NFC payments: Accept every way your customer wants to pay. With this one reader, they can use Apple Pay (NFC) or EMV chip cards. With the free Square magstripe reader, you are set up to process all payments.

• Customer Directory: Integrates with Square and adds your customer to its directory. You can view profiles, sort customers into groups, see spending habits and more.

• Tax-preparation shortcuts: Built-in tools instantly complete a spreadsheet in one click to detail sales history faster.

• Square Dashboard: Create an online store and have it hosted by Square. You can sell online and manage it all in Square Dashboard.

• Square Inventory alerts: Get daily stock alert emails instantly whenever inventory items start running out.

• Transparent pricing: Flat rate of 2.25 percent (per swipe, dip, or tap). For manually entered transactions, rate is 3.5 percent + $0.15.

by Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Square Company Information