Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.08/5

Square Reviews

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

We are a very small business and do most of our selling at Quilt Shows or Guilds. The Square has allowed us to take debit/credit card sales which has really helped our business. Because we only pay a fee when we sell something, we have been able to afford offering this service to our customers. I love being able to include tax in our prices and then have it separated out in the report for tax purposes. Rounding up or down to the nearest dollar allows us to plan the amount of change we need to carry with us as well as charge the appropriate tax without having to figure it out. Convenient, user friendly, prompt payment, a business booster!

Original review: June 5, 2019

Been with Square for about four years dealing with public school band instrument repairs. Square has really simplified collecting for me. One major account has provided all their band directors with their budgets on American Express cards. When I deliver completed repairs, they hand me the card for processing in my cellphone. When I leave, the money is already in my Square account and in my bank account the next day. That is a tremendous bargain for less than 3% processing fee and quick payment. Cash flow in dealing with school districts has always been a problem. Square has really helped me to be able to work with the most progressive customers and let my competitors fight with the slow payers!

Get expert buying tips about Credit Card Processing delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 30, 2019

I see some negative reviews below. I have not experienced the same problems. In fact, we left PayPal (a disaster) over intrusive requirements, horrible customer service and withholding funds. We filed a claim in civil court, and once I talked to someone that actually listened, once they heard the "civil court" our funds were released in 20 minutes. Beside the Reader, we have also have Square for our web payments. It is integrated with Gravity Forms. It took some fiddling, but it is working smoothly now, and it is FAST. Money deposited the same day, not like slowpoke PayPal. At this point I would say we are quite happy with Square.

Original review: May 29, 2019

I feel like negative comments are "louder" than positive ones. I needed a means of accepting credit cards, as most younger generations don't know how to write a cheque, and customers were giving me ** for not taking credit. I've done so many swipes with my reader, and I receive the money in 1 or 2 days. What are you all complaining about? You get around 2.7% fee and you get your money fast in your account. The support is also very fast. I am baffled at the bad reviews. The reader does what it claims it will do; accept credit, and send you money in 1-2 days. Do you all want the reader to give free massages too?

Original review: March 5, 2019

I have been in business for over 15 years and used every credit card processor out there. I started using Square in 2010 and never looked back. The value of what you get from free hardware, and software with the best processing fee out there straight forwarded. You know what you are paying for, no surprise whether it’s a Visa or AmEx or a loyalty card fee does not change. Try it at **. You will not be sorry.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Square?

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

Though the front end of Square is very simple and straightforward there is very little depth to this POS system. You can not for example look up items by vendor or create/see any useful reports to help you with your purchasing of inventory. They have a few reports available but it's clear by these that Square don't understand retail at all. When issues arise such as your credit card reader won't work due to issues on their end, it may take hours for them to fix and you are stuck with only accepting cash and therefore lose sales during those times.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

Did two transactions and Square froze my account back in August 2019. Probably because I did not enter my bank account number correctly so my account did not verify the first time. So Square said they needed more info about us and our bank statements. We did not comply so 30 days later Square sent an email saying account was closed and our funds would be released another 90 days later on 12/31/2019. Never happened after holding my funds for four months. We only did two transactions for a total of 774.81 dollars.

Tried to call and Square requires a code to talk to them. Square won't give a code if they closed your account. So I searched and found out how to text Square. The reply referred to rules in contract about how Square can close an account anytime. No answer from Square as to when my funds would be released. I sent a second text and got same answer which confirms they have an automatic response so they do not read your text. The rules say you agree to not be able to sue them but that rule would only apply if their actions were legal. They stole my funds and that is felony theft. Paypal is a better option. Avoid Square since they lie, hide and steal.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2020

I have a dental office and due to Elavon’s confiscation of funds for not taking an online PCI compliance course was fined$25 per month for 9 months. This was done without my knowledge and I only became aware of it due to Elavon calling me to try and sell me another terminal. Decided to switch to Square. Had been with Square for about 5 years and was very pleased, especially with their 2.5% transaction fee. Since then it has gone up to 2.6 +.

A problem arose recently when Square sent me an email stating that a patient who had been rendered treatment with his wife was disputing a charge 3 months later. The reason was “no knowledge of charge”. Square proceeded to ask me to provide any detailed information which would prove that the treatment had been rendered and that the charge was valid. This information was to be forwarded to the cardholder's bank which would make the final ruling. The first thing that made things difficult was that they would not allow me to know the identity of the disputer. The second thing was that I only had a few days to provide the information, in other words it was being rushed. The only thing I was given was the amount of the dispute and the time and day the transaction took place.

I therefore went to my appointment book and looked at the time. I found that there was a man and his wife who came in and was charged the amount of the dispute. As I began to provide the necessary information ie. address, phone number, an itemized list of services rendered and fees for each procedure, realized that this information and the providing of it to third party was a violation of the cardholder's HIPAA privacy. I therefore was only able to provide to the cardholder's bank, the generalized information that we were a dental office and that dental services were rendered. I also provided the address minus the numbers and apt. #. I also stated that under HIPAA I could not give more detailed information.

Now Square claims that they also provided a copy of the signature screen which clearly shows the patient’s name and signature. So, one might ask, how is it that the patient is able to claim “no knowledge of charge”? The bank should also have a copy of the cardholder's signature with which to compare. Despite this the bank ruled in favor of the cardholder and Square proceeded to attempt to remove from my bank acccout the amount of the dispute. I called my bank and blocked the withdrawal because I felt the whole process was biased and rushed. Square then withdrew the funds from my next day's receipts without my knowledge or notification. Square acts like your bank account and the funds you send them to be processed are an “open wallet” for them to take money whenever they please. As a result of this experience I am looking for someone else to process my credit card transactions. BEWARE of Square.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

Been a Square customer since 2016. Have had a total of 3 chargebacks since I been in business. First one was $200. 2nd one $100. 3rd $770. I never fought them till the last one. I submitted photos of the work. Emails between me and the customer. Text messages. Even the tag and vin of the vehicle. The dispute took 2 month to settle. I lost. Then I contacted Square about escalating my case. They gave me a case number and told me someone from the disputes team would contact me week later still waiting.

I have called Square multiple times about it and the response is always the same someone will contact you. Some will contact you. I have since had the $770 debited from my account. But no one has contacted me from Square about escalating my case... SQUARE DOESNT care about you and small business OWNERS ONLY about getting their money. They LITERALLY told me THEY'RE just a MIDDLE MAN. WHO MAKES THOUSANDS and YEAR OFF MY CREDIT CARD PROCESSING. I wouldn’t recommend Square to anybody else at this point. I would definitely recommend a service that protect the buyer and the seller.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

They will hold your deposits for months no matter if you give them every bit of information they ask for then they close your accounts. You can not speak with A live person ever and when they do reply to an issue it is a computer generated reply! Awful awful business, customer service. Do not use this app or company!!!

Not sure about Square?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Credit Card Processing for you.

Square expert review by Beverly Harzog

Jack Dorsey, co-founder of Twitter, is Square's CEO and co-founder. The company offers a credit card reader that attaches to your smart phone or tablet as well as wireless equipment for other types of payments.

• No long-term contracts: Signing up is free and doesn’t require a commitment.

• Free Square reader: Sign up and receive a free Square magstripe reader.

• Wireless Square reader for EMV cards, contactless cards and NFC payments: Accept every way your customer wants to pay. With this one reader, they can use Apple Pay (NFC) or EMV chip cards. With the free Square magstripe reader, you are set up to process all payments.

• Customer Directory: Integrates with Square and adds your customer to its directory. You can view profiles, sort customers into groups, see spending habits and more.

• Tax-preparation shortcuts: Built-in tools instantly complete a spreadsheet in one click to detail sales history faster.

• Square Dashboard: Create an online store and have it hosted by Square. You can sell online and manage it all in Square Dashboard.

• Square Inventory alerts: Get daily stock alert emails instantly whenever inventory items start running out.

• Transparent pricing: Flat rate of 2.25 percent (per swipe, dip, or tap). For manually entered transactions, rate is 3.5 percent + $0.15.

• Best for: Professional service providers, online shop owners, mobile vendors and retailers seeking simple, secure, and easy credit card processing.

by Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Square Company Information