1.30/5

Need credit card processing?

145 Square Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I contacted them by email, by phone, as a business owner who gave them $$$. Receiving this message, but never a follow up: "Thanks a lot for sending us a message. A team member will reply to you within 1 to 3 business days." Go with PayPal, these guys NEVER answer phone, email, chat. You are on your own if anything goes bad! Don't use them.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

This is one of the worst business I have ever come across. I made a purchase online using this and unfortunately it turned out to be a theiving scam artist. I contacted my bank, they gave my money back temporarily while they did their investigation. A couple of days later, the money was taken back. I called my bank to find out why and they said cash app had stated the transaction already occurred and nothing can be done. I looked for their number and nothing. I emailed support and instead of asking for information they advise me on how to make another account. As if I'll ever use them again.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Card Processing delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

After dealing with Square for about a year we never had any issues processing payments or receiving deposits. Over the last month or two we noticed our account was being put in review almost every time an instant deposit was tried. Those few times it quickly fixed itself. Than randomly one day we receive an email. Stated our information could have been compromised along with others so our account would not be accessible and deposits would be held off until this was fixed. We waited 3 days or so and were able to get back into our account.

We received multiple emails over the week's course giving us a deposit date and funds were never received. Then randomly this past Tuesday we received an email stating that our account was being deactivated for violating the general terms agreement by creating another location on our account without submitting proper documents prior. The email also stated we would be receiving a list of our transactions and deposits over the time we used them and those would be sent within 5-7 business days. They also stated we would be receiving our funds by 8 AM today and the funds are still not there. We have not heard anything since and of course can’t get through to customer support because our account is deactivated and we can’t access our customer code.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

A few days ago I called this number that said it was Square Cash but it was a scam and I didn't know. I had this issue with a refund that I still didn't get. They told me to buy a Google play card so they can input the codes in. I lost like almost 125$ plus no refund. I do not recommend anyone to Square. I emailed them and they're telling me that they already refunded my money. These people need to be reported for scamming people.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I am going on the news tomorrow to do interview about Cash App scam and customer service. And not having a phone number. That's how people are getting scammed. I had 2900 dollars stolen. Watch the video I made on YouTube. Just so you know if you use Cash App, have a problem, do not call a 1-800 number. They do not have a phone number. I was scammed out of $2900 bucks. Going on the news tomorrow in Miami. You would think such a big company that deals in banking would have a phone number. No responses to any emails. A class action lawsuit is needed. Found 100's of people with same problem. I have documented sending 5 emails a day. Even the guy I called at Square said it's a big problem they have and it blows his mind how it's handled. Working on getting it to ABC world news with this news team. Email ** with your story so I can show them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Square?

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

Same as everyone else. Been using them for years and currently am unable to access funds from a $29000 charge. Now client is not receiving their refund either. Impossible to talk to anyone, online help is obviously automated and of no help. This is crippling for a small business. Contacted FTC (please do the same, they respond quickly and the more complaints the better). Do not recommend using Square ever again.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Started with Square when I needed a new in person card reader solution for my business. SQUARE STOLE ALL MY MONEY! Every single transaction was put on a 90 day hold while $840 in merchandise is out of my hands. NO CUSTOMER SERVICE TO TALK TO. Not one response from the company via ANY form of communication other than a BBB complaint where they said something along the lines of “We have the right to hold money for this long. Please see our policies.” Square then deactivated my account so I really had ZERO means to contact them. On day 90 they said we will be holding your money for 120 days. On day 120 they claimed EMV fraud on ALL MY LEGITIMATE TRANSACTIONS.

I have had an EMV chip reader for 4 years! Square gave me NO OPPORTUNITY ago dispute this claim; NO real proof that a chargeback ever happened; NO way to contact them; AND EVEN HAD TO AUDACITY TO WITHDRAW MONEY FROM MY BANK ACCOUNT FOR SUPPOSED RELATED FEES. They will not respond to my numerous BBB complaints and it seems they are simply going to get away with stealing $1000+ from yet another small business owner. Please everyone consider using anything other than Square up. Hopeful that I will eventually be able to join in a class action lawsuit of some type in order to shine a light on Square’s criminal activity. These guys are CROOKS!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

Recently I was scammed by fake Square cash customer service representatives. Basically I was trying to solve a refund issue so I called the “customer service” line and long story short they scammed me into purchasing Google play cards that totaled up to 870 dollars. These scammers robbed me of my money. This would not have happened if There was better more reliable customer service. I will never be using Square cash after I resolve this dispute.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

Re: CASH app. Sent payment to someone using a previously used Cashtag. Money was not received by the intended person, but was collected by someone using that Cashtag and a different first name. When I called Cash support, was met with the most rude person I have ever encountered in my life. Wanted my personal info, and when I asked why, he would not explain. I asked to speak to his manager and his response was "MY MANAGER IS A VERY BUSY MAN"! I could not believe it. I asked for his name. His response? "WHAT IF I DON'T WANT TO TELL YOU?" Speechless on my end. Then he said that his name was "JAMES BOND".

So far I have been unable to speak to anyone. I have to assume that this app is operating fraudulently. They are dealing with money and banks. This behavior is reprehensible, and is absolutely unacceptable. I am stating the obvious here. Have tried all avenues to reach them and Square, but to no avail. Reporting them to the government for fraud.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

This is unfortunate. This company is big, they are interested in themselves and are not interested in anyones well being but their own. Hold times to get help making their product work are severe. When their product fails to work and costs you money they shrug their shoulders and recite their limited responsibility. Ask the representative for their email in order to correspond and avoid outrageous hold times they say no. Ask for a call back when the rep does research to figure out what happened to the money from your transactions, they say no. Call them on the phone with a member of your staff to troubleshoot an issue, they say they will not speak to more than one person on the phone at once.

They do however want to loan you money at an outrageous interest rate and take the interest out of your credit card transactions automatically just like the other predatory lenders. We have not fallen into that silly trap but they do try to get you roped in to destructive debt. This industry does not attract decent people, however there are better companies. So very disappointing.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

It seems I had a cash sale of $411,164.74 which never happened but Square insists it's not a big deal as they "do not report to the IRS." My concern is that it's on my account and it's an error of Square which should be removed!! But Square cannot remove it?? Unacceptable! No one at Square is concerned that this happened. I'd like to know how something like this does happen? And in 2017 six valid sales vanished from my days transactions. They could not retrieve the transactions at all. And now with this "cash sale" they can see that it was made from my iPhone?? Square is not to be trusted. Closing account very concerned with their practices!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

Square not only deactivated my account quoting the same two sections as they do with the rest of these complaint but they also have stolen my money. This is fraudulent. This is serious business. They were working for us, we were paying to be our processor. They got greedy and decided to keep our money. I don’t know how many businesses have been able to re-coup their money. But the longer they hold on to our money the more interest they are collecting. ILLEGAL. I am appalled how many business they have defrauded. We need to stop being victims and rally together. I urge everyone to contact the Federal Trade Commission, contact Jack Dorsey the CEO of Square and even Jim Cramer with Mad Money. Their email address are easy to find on Google. I’m sure Mr Dorsey would not be pleased if all of us filed a Class Action Suit against his company. We want OUR money back- NOW!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I am a consultant with a membership base. Square took my business and then suddenly discontinued me without warning. It's not hard to say that they don't take membership services upfront. So, now I have 80+ clients paying their dues on a recurring basis and suddenly Square leaves a scary message, won't take my calls and I have to scramble to migrate them to another payment service. I haven't broken any laws. All my clients voluntarily signed up for my service. I'm infuriated. I feel like a criminal.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Square/Cash App does not want you submitting complaints to them via phone because they want you to do it via email so that they can ignore you better. I experienced an issue where an individual by the name/cashtag $portlandsos or Portland Security, he hacked or managed to get ahold of my personal information and began to rob me of my money that was linked to my actual bank account. When I contacted my bank they gave me information that led me to the company Cash App 877-417-4551 and Square 855-700-6000. I attempted to contact these companies and long story short because I can only put so many characters here they ignored the issue and went as far as to block my account from contacting them with further issues.

I discourage anyone from using these questionable companies and products. Certainly stay away from Cash App. I took note and pictures of everything for proof. Don’t just take my word for it, start googling their scams and fraud, apparently this is not the first or last time that this has happened. My goal is to prevent this from happening to anyone else. I’m short about $300 and $portlandsos is enjoying himself while Square/Cash App continue to mistreat their customers.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

I am an Aromatherapist, I live in a very small town. So for more exposure on the weekends I sell some of my blends at a high traffic farmers market. Well they decided that my business was “high-risk” therefore deactivated my account. There is over 1,000.00 of mine that they have not deposited since July of this year. They suggested that I refund the money to the customer and I have up to 120 days from the date of the transaction to do so. What? How can I refund something I don’t have? My customers don’t want a refund, besides they are using my products (blends, oils, salves,etc.). If 120 days pass are they going to keep my money for themselves? Thieves! This has to be illegal! Do NOT use Square.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

Delete/Discontinue the use of Cash App/Square!!!! They do not need your permission for them to siphon money out of your bank accounts. I started receiving emails about money being withdrawn without my permission. Even when you opt to use your 'touch ID' to authorize the charge!!!! They have little to no customer service and refuse to give you the other individuals information so that my bank can pursue further action against those individuals. When deleting the app make sure you remove all of your banking information as they can still withdraw money without your permission. Transactions go through instantly and does not afford you the opportunity to cancel the transactions once they go through even if they are legitimate.

Once particular 'company' withdrew money within seconds of each other, the company is called 'Portland Security'. Cashtag is $portlandsos. I've never heard of them and did not authorize them to receive money from me but yet, somehow they started siphoning money out of my card that was linked to Cash App. I legitimately used Cash App once to send my little brother some money but this individual managed to somehow rob me of all my money without even being physically present. Cash App/Square either condones, encourages, or does not care about these transactions because nothing has been done to refund my money. I will make sure something is done about this so that this never happens to anyone ever again. I encourage everyone to read more about other peoples experience. Where there is smoke, there was a fire. Goodluck.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

Buyer beware. Customer invoices have been going to spam through Square. That means customers don't see their invoices and don't pay! This is a documented problem for years (search online to see), yet has still not been fixed. When I called to report I was put on hold for least 20 minutes to scratchy, dated music and a loud voice encouraging me to hang up and get a callback. Finally spoke to a rep talking over many other people in the background. She told me they are aware of the invoicing problem because servers look at Square emails as being spammy and over emailed. Then I read the Consumer Affairs reviews with all of the scam complaints with the Square CASH APP.

I am starting to wonder if people and companies are catching on that this company could be suspect. The rep told me they are aware of the invoicing problem and engineers have been "working" on it. For years?! She said I should ask my customers to go to spam folder and set the Square email to not filter to spam. That looks so unprofessional on my company and is such a hassle for customers. Invoicing is a FUNDAMENTAL part of any business and the fact that they can't get this right says a lot about the stability of Square. I used Paypal for years and NEVER had this issue. Also, the login wait time for Square dashboard often takes way too long. I am glad I have not invested more into this company.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

I went to a Tax Preparer office who should of filed prepared and filed my taxes. I paid with my Bank Credit Card. The tax preparer used Square as its point of service app. I later found out that my taxes were never filed. The tax preparer was arrested and indicted in Federal court and is awaiting sentencing. I filed 3 separate complaints with my bank and Square continues to defend this merchant and refuses to refund my money even after being presented with proof. DO NOT USE THIS APP or SERVICE. You cannot get a person on the phone. There has to be a better way to manage these businesses and require a stricter level of oversight when it comes to these services. I never authorized Square or the Tax preparer to use Square but it seems that now as a consumer we are also responsible for knowing these details as well. It's all a SCAM!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

CASH APP IS FRAUD FRAUD FRAUD!!! PLEASE READ: I looked up a number from Google because I couldn't get cash back at Wal-Mart, I spoke to someone from the Cash App number listed. They told me to go to the gift card section and find a specific card and transfer the money there. I said, "NO. For what. I have a Cash App card," I hung up because that sounded suspicious, then I called another number found on Google for Cash App, the rep ask for my info to log in and fix my acct so I can go to the atm at the Chase Bank and withdraw my money, well as I was on hold, the rep withdrew all my money from cash app then hung!!! I called back to find out what the heck was going on and they kept hanging up on me... I keep emailing Cash App and NO RESPONSE!!! Cash App is FRAUD FRAUD FRAUD.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

They are the worst to deal with I have dealt with so far. 1st problem is you can’t speak to someone without a code. I received an email telling me that my account had been deactivated with no reason. Could not make contact to find out the reason. I would suggest paying another company a small monthly fee.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

BEWARE OF CASH APP, $CASH. I tried to send money to my son's account. He didn't receive it. $500. After being on hold for 32 minutes I called again and they said Andrew the guy I had been talking to was in the bathroom and was sick. I so ask, "But you can help me right?" Peter ** said he could. Then he told me that they were having technical issue and wouldn't be able to reverse the charges until Monday. Then they said well the issue is I sent too much money and for my own security they were rejecting the money but it wouldn't be sent back to me until Monday.

I asked to speak to a supervisor and he hung up on me. I called back and this same Peter ** hung up on me 6 times. I called Chase Bank Fraud Department and they are now going to handle this. BEWARE. This app is a scam. Also this app customer service is foreign, which make it hard to get anything done. I am now going to blow them up on social media so this doesn't happen to anyone else. #$CashAppFraud

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I do not work and know Square, Inc. I don't know how Square, Inc has all my bank account information and continued to withdraw from my bank $175.15 three times. I call the bank to report fraud but this company continued to process to get the money from my account. I think this company is a fraud. They have the phone number but I can't talk to them because they request the code and I do not work with them so I do not have the code to provide to them. Please help to get this fraudulent company out of business so they can not scam anybody anymore. Thank you so much for your hep. They get $5000 from my credit card.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

Holding up a soft opener for family and friends for my new nightclub. Since by MA law you can't give any alcohol for free, I must buy at full price all the beverage. I purchased the premium packed of 14k. The idiots canceled my account because I used my credit card. Well, that what I think because was no explanation and you just can't reach them. A good lawsuit against this cheap company will teach them a lesson. Not sure about CA, but in MA they definitely are breaking many laws. I refund the money back to my card and they are holding it. Do not use this awful company. They are the worse!!!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I sold 2 products to a gentlemen, using the term loosely, and he later charged us with fraud. I have his signature, and so does Square on the receipt, I checked his ID against his face, have his purchases in the ledger and still Square would not help. They don't have a contact phone number so you can discuss your rebuttal, and they tell you to go to a square.com/code to get a code so you can talk with an agent, surprised there is no such place when you get to site, and so you spend hours trying to get help to no avail.

We collected several thousands of dollars using their system in just a few months, and they gladly took their fee, however, when this crook claimed fraud, they simply took the payment and gave it back to him with letting us present our case, and once they take money you can't get it back. Surprise, we purchase Intuit and won't use these ** again. I hope they burn in hell for being crooks, and the guy who pulled this scam may one day return to our show and believe me I will set the dogs on him, not to mention, he will also burn in hell for beating old people out of their monies.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

These people are horrible. They have manual card entry right on their dashboard then when a customer does a chargeback they blame YOU and say you should have bought their card reader. Absolutely no help. They double charge you their fee in this case.

Original review: July 27, 2018

I am an attorney who provided Square an alternative for payment and a benefit to my clients who wish to pay their legal fees. I may use Square once a month. I just received a notice saying that my account was deactivated because I was cash advancing. I tried calling in and the system said my account was deactivated and hung up the phone. I then tried texting and finally got a very vague response about cash advancing. I responded with a very polite email stating that payment of attorney fees is not a cash advance. I received a response that they understand how frustrating this can be but the decision is final.

This is the WORST customer service I have ever dealt with, or even attempted to, since there is absolutely NO way to talk to anyone once you are deactivated. I would HIGHLY recommend everyone be VERY CAREFUL of Square and I would use another credit card service if I were you since you do not want to have to go thru what I have just done the past few days trying to reach someone to have a polite and reasonable discussion and figure out why they are misunderstanding that payment of attorney fees is NOT a cash advance as they claim.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I needed to send some money to my son and went to the Google Play Store and download the "Cash App". The few reviews posted at first glance were positive. So I downloaded the app and tried to send the money. I sent money 3 times and he only received one of them so the other 2 transactions are MIA!!! Tried to get a telephone number, customer support, something, someone to try and help me resolve this issue but I was only able to get an email address!!!

Sent an email to them several days ago, still waiting for a reply!!! So I decided to do further investigation and apparently there have been NUMEROUS complaints such as mine left on Google Play that have gone unanswered. BEWARE... Don't understand how Google Play has allowed this web developer/site to get away with this and did not vet this site a little more diligently in order to protect their consumers!!! SHAME ON YOU GOOGLE PLAY STORE... for allowing this scam to continue to your unsuspecting consumers!!!

Original review: July 19, 2018

Sent money through the cash app. The money never made it to the recipient. For a week now I have been attempting to have this matter resolved but to no avail. Everything through them is done by email through virtual assistants. What a miserable ordeal. Have followed every instruction by them on numerous occasions.

Original review: July 18, 2018

So one of my friends asked me to use cash app to send them money so I downloaded and sent them some. Well the next time I used the app somebody had a similar name as my friend and the money went to someone else. I requested the money back like the app said but the person declined my request and ran off with my money. The app doesn't help you get your money back at all they want you to search for their customer service number and once found they have reps that don't speak good English and give you the runaround. I say do not use them I highly suggest using Zelle. It's secured and easy and no fee.

Original review: July 14, 2018

Square put me out of business, let me say that again, SQUARE PUT ME OUT OF BUSINESS. My first transaction of $2,000 with a new customer (worked months to get) that I try to deposit goes under review, I provide all documents they requested to them (INCLUDING MY DRIVER'S LICENSE WITH PHOTO) and receive no responses to my emails or community posts. Then I notice they have blocked me (see screenshot) from reading any related topics in their community posts. Over a day later, (I've lost a customer and countless other reputation based sales that would have come from this) and my funds are still frozen.

THEN I RECEIVE THIS EMAIL: "It is against our Terms to use Square for anything related to direct marketing or subscription offers or services. We regret to inform you that your account has been deactivated. Any funds currently in your account will be held for 90 days before being released to your linked bank account. We apologize for the inconvenience, however our decision is final. Thank you for understanding." DISCRIMINATION BASED ON MY RACE/GENDER and SOCIOECONOMIC STATUS.

Square expert review by Beverly Harzog

Jack Dorsey, co-founder of Twitter, is Square's CEO and co-founder. The company offers a credit card reader that attaches to your smart phone or tablet as well as wireless equipment for other types of payments.

• No long-term contracts: Signing up is free and doesn’t require a commitment.

• Free Square reader: Sign up and receive a free Square magstripe reader.

• Wireless Square reader for EMV cards, contactless cards and NFC payments: Accept every way your customer wants to pay. With this one reader, they can use Apple Pay (NFC) or EMV chip cards. With the free Square magstripe reader, you are set up to process all payments.

• Customer Directory: Integrates with Square and adds your customer to its directory. You can view profiles, sort customers into groups, see spending habits and more.

• Tax-preparation shortcuts: Built-in tools instantly complete a spreadsheet in one click to detail sales history faster.

• Square Dashboard: Create an online store and have it hosted by Square. You can sell online and manage it all in Square Dashboard.

• Square Inventory alerts: Get daily stock alert emails instantly whenever inventory items start running out.

• Transparent pricing: Flat rate of 2.25 percent (per swipe, dip, or tap). For manually entered transactions, rate is 3.5 percent + $0.15.

• Best for: Professional service providers, online shop owners, mobile vendors and retailers seeking simple, secure, and easy credit card processing.

Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
    Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Square Company Information