1.39/5

Need credit card processing?

242 Square Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 15, 2019

DITTO to all the 200+ one star ratings! Square is impossible to deal with! I wanted to understand their process when first asked to verify business information (information that was sent when account was set up) but monthly they randomly lock the account and request the same information. After sending 3 months in a row I actually found a way to contact them via phone buried in their web site! The division that answers is a place holder in charge of making sure you can't talk to anyone that can do anything! They forcefully commingled funds via two different companies with two separate accounts.

They pierced though corporations which is wholly illegal in every state! After deactivating my account (I am sure in retaliation for my complaints via email and customer service place holders) they processed charge backs and because they left me NO way to log into a deactivated account I can not print out the invoice (via the invoice authorization paid direct from client) I can't dispute the information directly. After a scathing email and threatening to contact my lawyer they answered via a reply...but they can't send me MY INFORMATION, MY INVOICES or my client's multiple charges! This company is crap.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I started using Square about 2 months ago, in that time no chargeback, no fraud, nothing. 2 days ago they sent me an email about my account being deactivate. I called and called. Nothing. Emailed. Finally got an email back and it's below that because of security reasons. They can't let me know anything. How in the Holy ** can you close someone account and then tell them it's because of security reasons and they keep your money? I'm not understanding how that's possible but I guess to crooks anything is possible. This doesn't make sense to me. Can someone please tell me who to talk too because this isn't right at all. Crooked ** thieves.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Card Processing delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 14, 2019

Wish we could leave negative stars. This company is a mess. We have used them for over two years and we got our first chargeback in January of this year. Square gave the bank back the money for them to hold in an Escrow account while we disputed the chargeback. We were constantly harassed by Square to pay them the $9650 that they never should have gave to the bank in the first place. Square then stole money from another company that my name is on but is completely separate from the first one and are not allowed to share funds. It took three weeks to fix that screw up. Yesterday the dispute was decided in our favor since the customer was in the wrong.

After I got the email that we won the case Square sent me an email asking for money for the chargeback when we didn't owe them a dime. We also use them for payroll. They have misfiled our state taxes for almost a year. I have contacted several times and sent all the paperwork and yet I got another notice from the state that the late fees caused by Square that they said they would pay have not been paid. I tried to call them about payroll which I pay around $40 a month for and my customer code has been deactivated! This is the shadiest business I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with.

Original review: March 11, 2019

If I could give it a ZERO I would. I have been with Square for a year and have had multiple problems with the processing, deposits and now a stolen identity issue. I am beyond frustrated. I run a small business and I keep records of all transactions and work performed for my business. I recently saw a deducted transaction and called Square and no one can help you and the person that answers says that a final decision has been made. HOW IS A FINAL DECISION REACHED WITHOUT EVEN CONTACTING ME VIA PHONE OR EMAIL??? I am now out of $$ due to an identity theft and also with no consequences to the person they know stole my information. I called multiple times and even sent an email to the "person" whom they said was managing the issue. That person basically said the same BS as before without any proof. I am urging people to please do not use this service since it will cost you lots of money and hurt your business.

Original review: March 9, 2019

I used Square because it's supposed to be the best point of sale app out there, the free card reader is a bonus also... But mainly, I was attracted to the instant deposit feature... I dont like waiting "x amount of business days" for the bank to give me my money. It's funny, they can always take it right away cant they? Anyway, I set up my account. Gave them my SSN, verified bank account and finally linked the debit card associated with the bank I have linked. Per their website, this should enable the instant deposit feature, which again, is why I signed up.

3 or 4 days later I accepted a payment for a sale of 76 dollars and it was approved. I went into my account settings and enabled the instant deposits switch. I also set the auto deposit schedule to daily. So, I go to my deposits tab, I see the transaction and select it. Underneath the 76 dollars there is a greyed out box that says "Instant deposit unavailable". YES my debit card and bank support instant deposit per their website, it was over the 25 dollar minimum, and well under the 10,000 maximum. I was within all the requirements stated on the website.

I close the app and check it about 2 hours later, to my surprise the instant deposit button was now blue and clickable. I was shocked, so I clicked it and to my amazement the Box immediately turned gray and again said instant deposit unavailable. Are you kidding me? I feel that is crap, complete crap. If there is some kinda policy where the first payment has to be reviewed for a few days then it should be clearly be stated on their website WHICH IT IS NOT.

I know they don't care if one of their customers is angry because they are a multi-million-dollar business but that's exactly why it sucks so bad. I signed up for the app specifically to get the instant payments. I was expecting and planning to have that 76 bucks immediately not into business days. The website says instant deposit works even on weekends, it's a Saturday. So I thought I would still get it today anyway. However, now that apparently it needs to be reviewed for 1 to 2 business days I'm going to have to wait today tomorrow Monday and Tuesday. So much for the instant deposit... Unbelievable.

Oh I almost forgot, after the 1 to 2 business days it also could take another one to two business days for it to actually get to your account so I could be waiting until Wednesday with the way it's looking. I know there's a passage somewhere on a message board from one of their employees or on their FAQ/instructions section of their website that says something about being able to get money right away after signing up for the app and advertised just how easy and convenient it was.

But what can I do? Complain? Who's going to read the complaint? An employee getting paid 10 bucks an hour to read it and send a generic response back? Nobody cares. Even if the CEO Reddit he wouldn't care either. I read and read and read to be sure that I could get the money right away. What really makes me mad is that after a few hours the button was blue and let me click it just to tell me to screw off again, what the hell? I know what the employees would say to this anyway, "All accounts are subject to review. It's how we ensure the safety of all of our customers." Blah blah blah blah blah. Just really convenient it happened on the very first payment. Damn it. I bet they still take the extra 1 percent for the instant deposit fee also.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Square?

Original review: March 8, 2019

Square is a total joke. I have used them for a long time now to process over $50,000 a month in credit card transactions thru my website where customers purchase merchandise from me. Whenever there is a charge dispute in the case where the cardholder claims to not have any knowledge of the purchase yet I have complete and full documentation of how the customer purchased hundreds of dollars of items from me, Square just simply sides with the cardholder and pulls the funds out of my account. In the end of it all I am out hundreds of dollars in merchandise and shipping expenses while the cardholder received the items and gets every penny returned to them without a doubt.

It has happened several times and Square does not offer any way to protect the store owner from this scam. While it’s no sweat off the back of Square. They receive thousands of dollars of processing fees a month from me but absolutely do not stand behind me in any way when something like this happens. Beware because they do not hesitate to pull funds out of your account and give it back to the cardholder without even looking into the matter at all.

Original review: March 7, 2019

Put you through a lot to process credit cards. Then, and they have already made a decision, deactivate you. No reason given. It seems that they cannot handle anything over a couple of hundred dollars. Scares them.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I only do a few local art shows a year. ** is my business. To all my customers at S.F. Cherry Blossom Fest in April 2018: Not one single customer contacted me to notify me that they were not charged on their credit card. I know there are a few honest people out there! That's because Square took my money. Here's my story: I apparently wasn't aware that I had my iPad switched onto cash payments, so when I had my customers sign their names after they swiped their credit cards, it looked like all the sales went through.

After the show was done and I went home, I saw only a couple of sales actually went through and all the others vanished. I contacted Square the next morning and was advised there was NOTHING they could do - even though I asked if there was a way they could examine my iPad - hoping to retrieve any information. Instead, I was promised $500 credit towards credit card fees. Apparently I 'misunderstood' when a Square agent later explained credit was towards $500 worth of sales I made. About a $20 credit?

But here is evidence that points to the very real possibility that Square took my money; Eventually, I spoke with manager Emmanuel, who explained that the first agent should have told me that there actually was a way that their engineers could have gotten into my iPad and retrieved this information so they could have contacted my customers and verified the truth of my sales! Emmanuel told me (conveniently for Square) they couldn't have their engineers do this now because I had received a refurbished iPad, (from Apple) which Square would have needed to verify the information from! - (How did they know I had recently received a new iPad?)

Now today, March 6, I called Square and wanted to take up the offer from just over a month ago from Emmanuel hoping they might be able to apply the credit towards their credit card machine that prints because this would be hard evidence that a sale went through instead of just relying on something invisible. The Square agent and management said I misunderstood Emmanuel's message, and they will not apply the free processing fees for up to $1000 and the case is closed! Right after the conversation, I received this email from Square that it's been more than 2 weeks since they last heard from me, so the case is closed! I trusted Square. How can they do this? How disappointing.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I have been in business for over 15 years and used every credit card processor out there. I started using Square in 2010 and never looked back. The value of what you get from free hardware, and software with the best processing fee out there straight forwarded. You know what you are paying for, no surprise whether it’s a Visa or AmEx or a loyalty card fee does not change. Try it at **. You will not be sorry.

Original review: March 5, 2019

Just started using the invoicing feature through Square. It it is great! Getting paid quicker than ever before in my landscape business and I love how it tracks all my money throughout the year - even checks and cash! And it is free to use. You only pay a small fee for credit card payments when you accept them and that’s it.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I have been using this company for about two years now. I started a Shopify shop and started using their card processing and immediately these crooks started locking my account throwing reviews and asking for all these bogus documents that had no affiliation with my business and the business I was conducting. I explained this situation and they were rude and super mob boss when asking questions about my funds as the customer was standing beside me as I was on the phone explaining the process of my Drop shipping business.

They lied and lied until on the second day of their review deactivated my account and holding funds for chargebacks. How would there be chargebacks and I’ve only used the company twice and each time they have locked my account. It’s so sad that a corp such as this would lie and steal from hardworking business owners with their bogus policies. I’ll keep you posted once these thief have given back what wasn’t theirs to keep in the first place. Stay away from Square.com

Original review: March 5, 2019

We have been using Square iPad Reader for the past 3 years. It is really the most efficient way of processing payments. The transaction fee is very good and there's no monthly fees. A great option for a small company like ours. 5 out of 5 stars!

Original review: March 5, 2019

Square is very easy to use and compatible with all devices. I have been with Square for 5 years I have never had a problem. I can take it on the go or in the office and never miss getting paid. They have a lot of useful tools for business.

Original review: March 4, 2019

I am a florist and I work a lot with event planners, Because of this I don't work directly with the client. The planner I used forwarded the (Square) invoice to the client so the client could make the payment. Square still hasn't cleared my payment of $1400 for 7 days now! It took 3 business days to get in contact with Square to see where MY money is. I was advised I got sent an email saying it was a fraud payment. I checked my emails - spam, junk etc, and I found nothing. I mentioned to the extremely rude guy who was "helping" me out that I didn't receive an email and he said, "Sorry you didn't see the email, we don't apologise to customers for taking security measures".

I had to fill out a stupid/useless form asking all details about the cardholder. I have never met the client and it is a conflict of interest to contact her, that's why she used a planner. Square don't support small business, well... they don't support any business really. My belief is Square holds large payments for a long amount of time to make interests on top of their processing fee. I am now a ex Customer of Square and will be telling all business owners that I know who use Square that I have had this issue. Don't not use Square! They work against you, not with you!

Original review: March 1, 2019

They never allow me to add money to my cash card from my own checking account citing security issues. They don’t allow me to cash out back to my checking account and they don’t say why, just that I’m not able to. 80% of the time that I send payments to others through the app they return it to me stating it was cancelled for my own safety. Text and phone support hasn’t been available to me for about a year, only option is to email them. Any company that issues a debit card should allow you to call them. But whatever I’m done with the company. I was finally able to get my money out of there and now I’m fighting with the app to close my account. Do yourself a favor and download Venmo, they offer a debit card as well and are backed by PayPal.

Original review: March 1, 2019

As a consumer, I made purchases from two different merchants in the last few months. Both of the merchants used Square to process their credit card payments. In the case of the first merchant in December 2018 my card was charged 3 times for 1 purchase. It took 3 months to get the funds returned by the merchant because they could not contact Square or get them to reverse the charge. On February 28, 2019, I made a purchase with another merchant. Unbeknownst to me at the time of purchase, this merchant also used Square to process credit cards. I now have 2 charges instead of 1 pending on my account. I was informed by my credit card company that the charges were made at 2 entirely different times - hours apart. I was told by the merchant that they only have one charge on their end so I have to wait. Meanwhile, my available funds are diminished. The common denominator in both situations is Square. Avoid at all costs.

Original review: March 1, 2019

My business processed payments via Square for nearly a year. Out of the blue we received an email stating that the account had been 'permanently disabled.' No reason given - I had to call to get that. Apparently our business activity, which they describe as car hire, is banned. I asked for the details of where this is explained in the Terms and Conditions - I'm still waiting. Apparently Square don't bother to check a company's business activity (or, presumably, anything else) because they aim to set up the account quickly 'to provide good customer service.' Is it good customer service - to supplier or customer in the card transaction - to set up firms without checking them and then cancel them without notice? Or would it be better customer service to do these checks beforehand?

The lack of due diligence conducted by Square before allowing cards to be processed should be alarming to anyone who pays or receives payments this way. It is extremely questionable. If you are a Square customer I recommend you call them to see if you have inadvertently contravened their complicated terms, otherwise you risk, as we did, having thousands of pounds tied up with Square for 6 months that you cannot access. Shocking.

Original review: March 1, 2019

I have made only a few transactions with my Square account, then today I make a large transaction and they suspend my deposit and demand I answer a bunch of questions including giving details about my client. This is some sort of scam where they obviously benefit by holding the money for an extended period of time.

A friend warned me about Square, but as I initially had no trouble with a number of small transactions, I thought maybe they were wrong. I can now see that they please themselves and don't care at all about small business and the importance of cash flow. Be warned.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

My Square Cash App was compromised on 2/15/19. I notified Square Cash App and my bank of the breach. An investigation was completed by Square Cash App indicating my account had been compromised and that I should contact my bank to expedite a refund of monies unauthorized. My bank denied my dispute indicating Square Cash App would be responsible for refunding my money on 2/25/29. I contacted Cash App to again refund my funds totaling approximately $5000. To date I received a response via email, as Cash App has no live phone support advising my file was being forwarded to the disputes department and someone would be in contact shortly. I have yet to get a response. I have been without my money for 10 days now and this is unimaginable as a mother of four children. My entire account was wiped out.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

We have been with Square for about 1.5 years, but have only used their service maybe a few dozen times. We were given NO notification in our account, but they sent our company an email telling us to refund 2 large website sales due to possible fraud. One was from 15 DAYS previously and was fully processed, the other we had NOT even received the funds for. So they SUSPENDED the account for our retail website. Mind you, this suspension is due to an error THEY MADE. They are asking us to refund funds that are either long since processed (products delivered) or have not even been transferred to us from them. So, it is quite obvious their security team/software is not doing the job we rely on them/it for AND they obviously do not know where funds are located.

Trying to contact them is the most ridiculous process we have ever had to deal with. Not only do you have to find a code, but finding the code requires you go into their community and ask the question. We had to read directions from a support specialist and the last two directions were to click on "I Don't See my Issue" and then click "choose to call us". Which then provides you with a long customer code. We could not find the code anywhere else unless we went through the Customer Support Center/community. We finally get the code and make a second call (the first call informed us that we needed a code to talk with someone).

After we inputted the code, we had to wait to find out in a list of what number to push to talk to a person, because none of the selections addressed our extremely important issue. Then we were informed that the support team is ONLY AVAILABLE M-F (side note---like ALL others, our website runs 24/7)...meanwhile, our account is suspended for our retail website. You know, the item that pays the Square fees, that pay the Square support team to not be available during a serious monetary issue?! In the end, Square made at least two significant security errors, will not provide the means for a customer to find out information on the issue, they want our company to pay for it, and they want funds returned that were never paid. Our faith in the reliability and support from Square is now completely demolished. We will be moving to another card handler. Bye Bye stock too.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

Class action lawsuit is the only way to get results... Only way to get your money back! Otherwise they continue their everyday practices of stealing money from business owners and holding on to other people's money for 3-6 months. Yes I am mad, angry! I want my ** money back asap!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

I am small business owner and have been using Square for about 8 yrs. I have used them to process ~ $180K/yr in credit card sales and have never had a chargeback or problem with my account. Then last week in the middle of my work day, my account was deactivated without any specific reason or prior notice. There is NO customer service to speak with and when you call you get a recording telling you to refer to the email sent for instruction of how to contact them. Of course, nothing in the email except for a vague reference to a section of the agreement that I have supposedly violated. Absolutely NO details and no person to speak with. I never believed that a company could treat its customers with such disregard and I don't see how this is allowed to happen. Fortunately, I used the quick deposit to get my transactions from that day deposited. If anyone is aware of any recourse, I would love to hear what that is.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

I own a small retail store that is still in its first year. The Wednesday before Black Friday, Square deactivated my account with no reason given or warning, and refused to communicate to explain why, despite numerous attempts at communication and specific questions regarding why my account was deactivated. They kept claiming I had violated the terms of service, but refused to tell me exactly how, and I couldn't figure out how I had violated them despite rereading their terms multiple times. I contacted the Better Business Bureau and the NH AG's office to try to get some sort of explanation, and, in the end, the only thing the company would say is "We may terminate use of our payment services at any time and for any reason."

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

They will set you up and allow you to process and deposit several payments into your bank account, building up trust that everything is working. Then out of nowhere they will deny you the ability to deposit money you received from your customers into your bank account until you provide them with additional sensitive and detailed financial information, such as your corporate account balances and financial history. No explanation on why they need this information and why it wasn't requested upfront before setting up your account. It's bait and switch and if it's not illegal, unethical at best.

If you tell them you are not comfortable providing this information, they will tell you the only way to handle this is to cancel the transaction and contact your customer to pay another way. The issue is our customers are long gone and we can't get in touch with them. I'm out over $3,100.00 in transactions. This is theft, you can't bait someone into processing your payments and then hold their money until you get request "additional information" that is not necessary for this service.

They will fall back and say it's part of their service agreement, that they can request "additional information". However, when I asked again why it is necessary for them to see our corporate transaction history and information that has nothing to do with Square, the representative said she could not answer that, when I requested to speak with someone that could provide me that answer, she said there wasn't anyone else to speak with. I pushed the issue and ended up with their counsel's information listed below.

Conclusion - They are holding 3,100.00, that I can't get out of the account and if I give it back to my customers, I can't get in touch with to reissue the invoice to. That means, they stole and won't release my money until I provide them with information they have no reason or right to. I'm sure we are among numerous companies with the same issue. If an attorney wants to establish a class action lawsuit, I would be interested in be a party to it.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

Please be advised my account was hacked with cash app and my checking acct was hacked as well. I have notified my bank and they said that you are responsible for replacing my funds back in to the cash app that I set up with your website. You can look at my acct and see all of the activity on 02/07/2019. Please send me the full address for your company and phone number so further action can be taken with the BBB and Consumer Affairs.

The questions that you sent to me have the answers below. Recipient or merchant: Brian and to Capital One bank. Other, please explain: Called the number. They responded cash app and told me to go to my Google app store and download quick support and they went into cash app and took all of my money, credits, etc... Totaling $696. What dates DID the communication take place? 02/07/2019. Provide full details of each communication: They indicated that they were trying to help me load my debit card because I was getting invalid ZIP code. I went on your cash app for customer support on Thursday and you are just getting back with me.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Square is the worst company I’ve ever dealt with. I own three businesses and you Square payment processing for all of them. They have been no help to me at all the last five years of service with them. I would recommend using any other credit card processor beside Square. The technical support is unhelpful, no one ever answers the phone. I have equipment that has been broken and they will not warranty. Also I use the Square capital service which is the biggest scam of all time. Please be careful when dealing with these crooks.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

This ** up company is holding my funds, never give any kind of notice, or anything, they just deactivated my account - and conveniently holding on to my MONEY!!! This company and the way they do business has to be a scam... Has to be, they do not ever, ever take a call, call back, just their stupid phone system. I had no idea that this type of company could do this to people, I never had a chargeback, never misused their services. They do not have it in them to pick up the phone or even make a simple courtesy call. They play with folk money and think it is okay. I started doing some research and there are a lot of other people out there experiencing the issues. How is this possible? I WANT MY ** MONEY NOW!!! IT IS NOT YOURS!!! Please do not offer me any of your stupid explanations, I suppose these folks at Square think everyone is simply just stupid!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

THIS IS THE WORST PAYMENT PROCESSOR ON THE PLANET. I wish I had read reviews beforehand. Not only did they hold over 12K of my money for NO legitimate reason. I have perfect history, no chargebacks, no high risk sales, great business flow with sales - they DEACTIVATE without warning (something they do to most customers), hold the money and then it's impossible to get a hold of them.

You can ONLY call with a current customer code - and if your account is deactivated then your customer code won't let you speak to a human. They don't answer emails, and they delink your bank account. So in 3 months they say, "You're allowed to deposit your funds but you don't have a linked bank account," the confirmation emails they say they send to link a new bank account NEVER get received (after making 50 attempts trying to get it) and you still cannot contact anyone to help. They are THIEVES. I have now read hundreds of reviews like this and I cannot believe there is not some sort of class action suit against them. I will be taking legal action and I think everyone who has dealt with this should as well. Absolutely TERRIBLE company - ripping off young entrepreneurs and small businesses for tens of thousands of dollars.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

They are holding $15,000 of my money. July 2018 I did a personal credit card transaction and they didn’t tell me about it and every transaction I’ve done since then you’re holding my money and I want to talk to somebody and will not talk to me over the phone. They say somebody to be in contact with me and email. Have not received an email. I just message them and I’m getting very aggravated.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

Please consider another company if you’re a small business and depend on getting paid when a customer pays you. Square will hold your money for as long as they want to. So at the end of the week I’m the one footing the bill to pay my employees, my expenses and material bills. Wouldn’t be a problem if Square wouldn’t just let $10k sit in an account and you have no access to it.

Try to call someone and can’t get a real person. Send an email, and you get the same generic automatic reply every time. Sending you to their FAQs about depositing the money to your bank. And when none of it applies to you and you still have no idea why they're holding it and try and contact them again, you get the exact same email sent back telling you to read the FAQs. Just go with a different company. Save yourself the trouble and risk of losing your business. There are better alternatives out there! PayPal worked much better, I decided to give Square a try because it seemed more convenient. Biggest mistake I’ve ever made. PayPal has never given me a problem and I don’t know why I was dumb enough to fall for the Square scam.

Square expert review by Beverly Harzog

Jack Dorsey, co-founder of Twitter, is Square's CEO and co-founder. The company offers a credit card reader that attaches to your smart phone or tablet as well as wireless equipment for other types of payments.

• No long-term contracts: Signing up is free and doesn’t require a commitment.

• Free Square reader: Sign up and receive a free Square magstripe reader.

• Wireless Square reader for EMV cards, contactless cards and NFC payments: Accept every way your customer wants to pay. With this one reader, they can use Apple Pay (NFC) or EMV chip cards. With the free Square magstripe reader, you are set up to process all payments.

• Customer Directory: Integrates with Square and adds your customer to its directory. You can view profiles, sort customers into groups, see spending habits and more.

• Tax-preparation shortcuts: Built-in tools instantly complete a spreadsheet in one click to detail sales history faster.

• Square Dashboard: Create an online store and have it hosted by Square. You can sell online and manage it all in Square Dashboard.

• Square Inventory alerts: Get daily stock alert emails instantly whenever inventory items start running out.

• Transparent pricing: Flat rate of 2.25 percent (per swipe, dip, or tap). For manually entered transactions, rate is 3.5 percent + $0.15.

• Best for: Professional service providers, online shop owners, mobile vendors and retailers seeking simple, secure, and easy credit card processing.

Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
    Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Square Company Information