Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.03/5

Square Reviews

Original review: June 10, 2020

I've used the app with reader for over 5 years. I’ve been thoroughly happy with it. I bought and sold gift cards for my salon business, this past holiday season, simple to use and redeem. I use the appointment scheduling also and love that it sends reminders for guest appointments. It’s also user friendly, easy to set up.

Original review: March 3, 2020

Prior to using Square we were doing lots of accounting with pen and paper. The Square system not just processes our credit cards and cash, but tracks all of our sales. We often look back at the same days sales for the prior year which helps us know when we will be busy, what to order, how to staff and more. The hardware is great and constantly improving.

Get buying tips about Credit Card Processing delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

6 years, 0 problems. I saw the bad reviews and had to write in my experience with Square. Since starting my shop in 2014, Square has been the only thing that works 100% of the time, every day. I've never, ever had a problem with Square in any way. In fact, their customer service is so stellar, so on point, I can't say enough good things. In the world of opening a new business, where things go wrong and problems arise EVERY DAY, Square has been the only thing that has never failed. Ever. I highly recommend Square for any business. I'm pretty convinced that if anyone had a problem with Square, it was probably on their end. But that's just me.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

I needed a way to accept credit card payments. Most banks charge a monthly fee plus a high percentage from your sales (which can be a big rip off). Specially if your sales are higher than 4 digits. A customer told me about Square. I look it up and signed up right away. No monthly fees and kind of low % rates.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

We are a very small business and do most of our selling at Quilt Shows or Guilds. The Square has allowed us to take debit/credit card sales which has really helped our business. Because we only pay a fee when we sell something, we have been able to afford offering this service to our customers. I love being able to include tax in our prices and then have it separated out in the report for tax purposes. Rounding up or down to the nearest dollar allows us to plan the amount of change we need to carry with us as well as charge the appropriate tax without having to figure it out. Convenient, user friendly, prompt payment, a business booster!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Square?

Original review: June 30, 2020

I was attempting to change the business name associated with my bank account within my Square account to a new one. Though I could change the name of the business I could not add the new business name to the new bank account. It simply preserved the old one. I attempted to delete my account but it only allowed a deactivation. This made re-registering my new business with the old email impossible.

After an account is deactivated you can no longer get a live representative from Square to assist you in any way and you don't have a customer number because your account is well, deactivated. Your only recourse is to email them and wait the 24-48 hour turnaround. That is completely unacceptable. Customer service in general today is pretty unacceptable. I will not do business with Square in the future, nor should you.

Original review: June 10, 2020

I set up a Square Account and purchased an $80 Square Reader and Docking Station for a part-time business I started. My business is in Network Marketing and the I sell several different brand items as an Independent Affiliate. One of the products I sell is CBD Oil, which is legal in every state in the USA. However, because my business sells products that are made from the Hemp plant (which is not the marijuana plant) such as shampoo & conditioner, relief creams, facial products and CBD oil, they shut my account down. It took days to get someone from Customer Service to tell me why and after explaining my products are legal to sell, they refused to reactivate my account.

In addition, they won't return my email asking them to allow me to return the $80 card reader I purchased which is now useless to me without an account. I do not recommend this company for anyone doing network marketing or selling any type of Hemp product. I also don't recommend them for anyone that values customer service because this company obviously doesn't want to work with customers.

Original review: June 10, 2020

I own a landscape company and was given a downpayment for a job with Square. They took the payment and said they have to review it. A month and a half later, no payment and no answer from them. I have tried to contact them and the only response I get is read the fine print. They can flag your money and play in Wall Street with it while you starve and they don't care.

Original review: June 9, 2020

This is an awesome and easy to use to take credit cards in the field with your phone or tablet. They send you the readers free of charge and you can get same deposit for a small. I love it. There is no monthly fees at all.

Original review: June 5, 2020

I have been using Square for credit card processing for over a year. We usually do fairly large transactions, 2000 plus. We have never had a charge back, never had a complaint. The corona shut down hurt us real bad, the first two transactions we ran one for 3500 and one for 2500.00 they kept a third of it in reserve for I dont know how long. We run on a very small profit margin, so on both of these jobs I had to borrow money in order to finish them because of this.

They never told us they were going to do it, or why. I did read on the site they can do it if your sales suddenly change, which they did thanks to the shutdown. I have tried to contact Square but cannot find one single way to contact them. I tried calling and just left on hold. We finally got to open back up and do some work, and thanks go them, instead of getting back on track, I have had to lay off an employee. Horrible way to treat a customer that has never had a single complaint.

Square author review by Beverly Harzog

Jack Dorsey, co-founder of Twitter, is Square's CEO and co-founder. The company offers a credit card reader that attaches to your smart phone or tablet as well as wireless equipment for other types of payments.

• No long-term contracts: Signing up is free and doesn’t require a commitment.

• Free Square reader: Sign up and receive a free Square magstripe reader.

• Wireless Square reader for EMV cards, contactless cards and NFC payments: Accept every way your customer wants to pay. With this one reader, they can use Apple Pay (NFC) or EMV chip cards. With the free Square magstripe reader, you are set up to process all payments.

• Customer Directory: Integrates with Square and adds your customer to its directory. You can view profiles, sort customers into groups, see spending habits and more.

• Tax-preparation shortcuts: Built-in tools instantly complete a spreadsheet in one click to detail sales history faster.

• Square Dashboard: Create an online store and have it hosted by Square. You can sell online and manage it all in Square Dashboard.

• Square Inventory alerts: Get daily stock alert emails instantly whenever inventory items start running out.

• Transparent pricing: Flat rate of 2.25 percent (per swipe, dip, or tap). For manually entered transactions, rate is 3.5 percent + $0.15.

by Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Square Company Information