2.0/5 (608 ratings)

About Square

Square offers multiple tools to make life more simple for business owners. The company helps business owners send invoices, accept online payments and offer delivery, pickup and shipping options. It also helps set up online stores. Square has solutions for multiple businesses, including retail stores and restaurants.

Square Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Square?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Square?

Original review: Dec. 3, 2020

Square has been processing my credit card sales for years, I have had not one single problem or issue ever. Nothing but perfection since day one. Square is always seeking ways to assist business owners all the time with new innovative products and services. They simply never stop trying to help me and my business.

Original review: June 10, 2020

I've used the app with reader for over 5 years. I’ve been thoroughly happy with it. I bought and sold gift cards for my salon business, this past holiday season, simple to use and redeem. I use the appointment scheduling also and love that it sends reminders for guest appointments. It’s also user friendly, easy to set up.

Get buying tips about Credit Card Processing delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 9, 2020

This is an awesome and easy to use to take credit cards in the field with your phone or tablet. They send you the readers free of charge and you can get same deposit for a small. I love it. There is no monthly fees at all.

Original review: June 2, 2020

Our company has benefitted from Square's Professionalism. The Square Dashboard is comprehensive. Square handles our Appointments and Notifications. Processes our payments and accurately reports our transactions. Square Capital is also a very comfortable and convenient way to provide funding for small business when traditional banks are unfriendly.

Original review: June 2, 2020

Square is constantly innovating ideas that can benefit the small businesses. It truly is a one stop shop that does NOT nickle and dime you with fees. You pay what they said you would pay... No more and actually sometimes less. It would be in the best interest of your company to at least check them out.

Original review: May 14, 2021

We have been using Square occasionally since 2018. During Covid, we found that their appointment platform is convenient for our spa services. We started using it in mid year of 2020. The money was transferred regularly until mid Dec 2020. They stopped transferring our money without any notice. Until 3-2021, we realized that there is a red flag on our account. We called and emailed. No specific answers. Until May 2021, we were able to reach someone live and nice to explain what we need to do. They said we listed cbd on our website with a health claim. We cleared all of that. Please also notice that:

1. Our website is not created nor hosted by Square.

2. We do not sell CBD on their platform or using square payment gateway.

Still we submitted what they requested, which were certificates of analysis. They still held our money from spa services. After several phone calls, they then said we need to submit our bank activities for the last 3 months. No one should share business confidentiality (financial health, business partners, transactions all in your bank statements) to anyone who could use your information to develop strategies against you or getting insight into a certain industry. So who wants to join a class action lawsuit?

Original review: May 11, 2021

I want to tell everyone that is thinking about using Square DONT DO IT. These people will suspend your account for no reason and not tell you. Not one bad mark on mine but they still want keep my money. I sent in all the paperwork. They said that the CC transaction was high risk for fraud, what the clowns don't know is that the customer they called a Fraudster has more money than them. I am guessing she's my neighbor for years. I am very offended by how they handled it and put a picture on me and my neighbor. I repeat don't use them if you have any sense.

Original review: April 21, 2021

Please do your homework and research other options before enrolling with this company. It may be quick to signup for an account but they don't actually verify anything for weeks or months so you will be in for a shock when they hold your money for all those weeks and months or block your bank transfers after you've already been verified and approved. We had been with them for over a year with all the necessary documentation submitted, EIN, Articles of Incorporation, Banking History, etc. and our account was in good standing (ie sales, chargebacks, refunds, etc.) when they deactivated our bank transfers without warning or any communication. They did not respond to email, telephone or even chat messages.

When we finally did get a response weeks later, they said they made a mistake on their end and would fix everything. The next day our account was deactivated and they are still holding all of our money without a reason or a reply. Don't believe a single word they say. They don't have enough human staff to run the company or communicate and seem to rely completely on technology, which we all know isn't perfect by any means. Square will waste your time when there are other companies out there that will work with you instead of against you. Oh and they will hike your rates up arbitrarily too as well as upsell all sorts of crap services that you don't really need.

Original review: April 12, 2021

I am a new business that started during COVID. I got Square, what a mistake. My FIRST transaction they took my money. They said I needed to provide my EIN number and Articles of Incorporation. I am a Sole Proprietor. I don't need a EIN. I use my social. I don't have Articles of Incorporation because I am a sole proprietor. I DID provide my State Registration of taxation. I was told the issue is closed. I lost $850.00. This business has an unheard of amount of complaints. They have had lawsuits. And they are still in business. They operate by email, they don't respond. Do NOT use this company. Do your research first.

Original review: March 25, 2021

After 3 years with these guys, spent lots of money buying their terminals and POS devices they cancelled my account for no apparent reason. When I tried to call them to discuss, you can't. They kept my funds for that day and I had to scramble to find another service in hours. DO NOT USE THIS JOKERS.

Square author review by Beverly Harzog

Jack Dorsey, co-founder of Twitter, is Square's CEO and co-founder. The company offers a credit card reader that attaches to your smart phone or tablet as well as wireless equipment for other types of payments.

• No long-term contracts: Signing up is free and doesn’t require a commitment.

• Free Square reader: Sign up and receive a free Square magstripe reader.

• Wireless Square reader for EMV cards, contactless cards and NFC payments: Accept every way your customer wants to pay. With this one reader, they can use Apple Pay (NFC) or EMV chip cards. With the free Square magstripe reader, you are set up to process all payments.

• Customer Directory: Integrates with Square and adds your customer to its directory. You can view profiles, sort customers into groups, see spending habits and more.

• Tax-preparation shortcuts: Built-in tools instantly complete a spreadsheet in one click to detail sales history faster.

• Square Dashboard: Create an online store and have it hosted by Square. You can sell online and manage it all in Square Dashboard.

• Square Inventory alerts: Get daily stock alert emails instantly whenever inventory items start running out.

• Transparent pricing: Flat rate of 2.25 percent (per swipe, dip, or tap). For manually entered transactions, rate is 3.5 percent + $0.15.

by Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Square Company Information