3.4/5 (2657 ratings)

About Square

Square offers multiple tools to make life more simple for business owners. The company helps business owners send invoices, accept online payments and offer delivery, pickup and shipping options. It also helps set up online stores. Square has solutions for multiple businesses, including retail stores and restaurants.

Square Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Square?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Square?

Original review: March 24, 2022

Square allowed us to re-open our school cafeteria for cashless payments quickly and easily! We had been looking for an affordable system and had no luck until Square. The backroom reporting is clear and easy to understand. The POS system in the cafeteria is quick and user friendly. Reloadable gift cards have been a big seller for us here at the school. The cards are easy to track and clear balances if cards are lost or stolen. Ordering customized cards is quick and easy. Love the flexibility of the system and the online Dashboard for the back end reports, etc. Is easy to navigate and print all the required information for our auditors! Keep up the great work. :)

Original review: March 8, 2022

I am a Massage Therapist and Energy Worker. My business would not be up and running without Square to support me with payment processing, appointment scheduling and so much more. I have both services and products to sell, and Square lets me take care of both and keep track of everything myself. Square offers more business tools in one place than anyone else with a better value. Integrations and additional services through Square Capital keep me and my business running smoothly. I could not have made a better decision than to sign up with Square.

Get buying tips about Credit Card Processing delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 7, 2022

Square comes in handy for each of my unique customer transactions. Whether it be setting up an order or charging a customer it's a great way to constantly stay engaged with each of my current or potential new clients. Customers can pay online through my connected website or text me by phone. It's simple to use and I highly recommend it for its ease of use for not only myself but clients as well.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2021

I was introduced to Square by my cell phone service MetroPCS here in Oregon. In doing festivals outdoors I was very limited in being able to only take cash before I was introduced to square. It is so easy to use and understand. I would highly recommend this for any small business personnel. Or someone just starting a new business. The fees are not that much in using this service. I would not use another service because I have always been so happy with my square system.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2021

I signed up with Square a couple years ago because they have competitive rates, instant transfers, and top notch customer support. I've been extremely pleased with answer times and they are always coming out with new tools and features to help make running your business for smoothly.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2022

I wanted to let others know the awful experience I am having with Square. I am a small business and want to take credit card payments. I have been trying to set up the Square account since August and it is now November. I have verified all of my information, including my bank and it will take payments but still will not transfer the funds. I have had multiple phone calls and have been treated as if I don't have two brain cells to rub together, very condescending. Am looking into other alternatives. Not worth the time or energy.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2022

DO NOT USE SQUARE. I have had nothing but trouble with this company. First they deactivated my account for no reason, then held my money and would not pay it out for 90 days. It is well passed the 90 days and still have not received my funds. Also when you try to call the customer service line to find out why your account was deactivated or why your funds are withheld they do not take your calls. I had to block my number in order to get someone from customer support on the line who STILL would not pay my funds, and could not give me an ETA. I had to issue a refund for a customer 90 days after their payment, and the customer has not received the refund and it has been 3 weeks. This is horrible please do yourself a favor and do not use square.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2022

I processed a customer's credit card payment on Tuesday 9/20/2022. The payment immediately from AMEX. After hours on the phone with Square, I have yet to be able to have the funds transferred. It is not 9/27/2022 and the payment still is not able to be transferred. I called Square to verify the payment on 9/20/2022 and went through the verification process and I was assured it would clear in 2 days. Then I called back on 9/26/2022 and had a very long conversation and was assured an email and call back and funds would be transferred in 12 hours, I got nothing!

Called again today, 9/27/2022 (a full week after the fact) and was assured it would be transferred in 3 days. I am a small business owner with subcontractors fixing to book other jobs because I can't pay them for this job. Square would not agree to transfer me to a higher manager, speak to a legal team member and ended my call. They have held $42,295.78 for 7 days now and I still have not gotten a call back from them or an email or any resolution. I may have to seek legal help, this is ridiculous and fraudulent.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2022

I got hacked. Zero customer service. Never got a phone call back once. Called at least 9 times after I finally found a number. They would only refund part of my money because they don't refund anything stolen older than 30 days. I'm out over $500! Hacker changed my email, added their phone number to my acct and opened a Square card and used the bank acct info to spend all my $. I found all this out myself and closed the square card myself. Square literally did nothing to help me!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2022

I had several transactions that were marked as ‘Processed’ on the Square app but did not show up later in the reports or transaction history. Square had no way of tracing the transactions and my money is gone.

Square author review by Beverly Harzog

Jack Dorsey, co-founder of Twitter, is Square's CEO and co-founder. The company offers a credit card reader that attaches to your smart phone or tablet as well as wireless equipment for other types of payments.

• No long-term contracts: Signing up is free and doesn’t require a commitment.

• Free Square reader: Sign up and receive a free Square magstripe reader.

• Wireless Square reader for EMV cards, contactless cards and NFC payments: Accept every way your customer wants to pay. With this one reader, they can use Apple Pay (NFC) or EMV chip cards. With the free Square magstripe reader, you are set up to process all payments.

• Customer Directory: Integrates with Square and adds your customer to its directory. You can view profiles, sort customers into groups, see spending habits and more.

• Tax-preparation shortcuts: Built-in tools instantly complete a spreadsheet in one click to detail sales history faster.

• Square Dashboard: Create an online store and have it hosted by Square. You can sell online and manage it all in Square Dashboard.

• Square Inventory alerts: Get daily stock alert emails instantly whenever inventory items start running out.

• Transparent pricing: Flat rate of 2.25 percent (per swipe, dip, or tap). For manually entered transactions, rate is 3.5 percent + $0.15.

by Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Advisor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Square Company Information