2.13/5

Need credit card processing?

268 Square Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 7, 2019

I had an issue setting up my account (my own fault not the company’s). I rang customer service and the woman I spoke to went above and beyond to help me out, even staying on the line while I made sure it was all good to go! If only every company had such amazing customer service it would make doing business so much easier!

Original review: March 5, 2019

I have been in business for over 15 years and used every credit card processor out there. I started using Square in 2010 and never looked back. The value of what you get from free hardware, and software with the best processing fee out there straight forwarded. You know what you are paying for, no surprise whether it’s a Visa or AmEx or a loyalty card fee does not change. Try it at **. You will not be sorry.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Card Processing delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

Although I don't personally use the app as a point of sale; I send invoices. My customers get offered cash, check or charge and when they say charge I use Square. Square is a pay only for what you use provider meaning I don't have to worry about monthly charges for the privilege of accepting card payments. I send invoices to customers within the app and they pay thru a link in the email. I usually send invoices while I'm standing next to customer and they pay me before I leave. We both get confirmation emails of the payment and I never touch the customer's card. Simple, easy and straightforward terms.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I have used Square point of sale for many years now without one problem! I can count on their customer service if I have a question. I have just added the calendar this year and it has made it so easy to schedule my clients in a timely manner. I love that it sends reminders for their appointments too. This has made my business run so much smoother!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

We cannot say enough good things about Square. We've used it for about 6 years for some family businesses. It's affordable, clear, clean and does exactly what we need it to do for a small company. We have several hair salons. The equipment is small and easy to use. Square Capital is a godsend for short term loans.

The loans do not affect your credit rating & they deduct a % with each day's closing. My only complaint is that Square released their payroll program too soon. It doesn't calculate all local taxes properly.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Square?

Original review: May 24, 2019

After two weeks of trying to just get a response about a charge back still no response from Square. They do not have a way to contact them other than email and no one at Square responds to emails. I would not use Square again even if they had zero fees. Square is 100% worthless !!!

Original review: May 21, 2019

This is the most unethical, unsupportive company I have ever dealt with. There is absolutely NO way to reach a live person even at the number on my bank statement or the number you have on here for them. If you call Square SALES they’ll tell you that there is no live reps for Cash App and it’s sad. I’m out 66.00 and no one can help me. This should be illegal to not provide support dealing with finances.

Original review: May 15, 2019

I have recently had 2 chargebacks from my Square account. I provided detailed information about the order and tracking information with a signed delivery receipt from FedEx. The products we offer on the site are items with an organizations logo on it. I have only had 1 dispute in 6 years of business from my brick and mortar store and provided the same information and won the dispute. I really don't feel they went to bat for me at all, especially since you are not allowed to work directly with the bank. I am in the process of moving my stores away from Square.

Original review: May 14, 2019

I was using Square for my small company for over 2 years. No problems. Processing about $75,000 per year. They even provided me with three capital loans which were paid off early. Then all of a sudden without warning, they closed my account. NO EXPLANATION. Do not use Square. They will screw you over and hold funds. I can't even call and get an explanation. What sort of company does this? I feel like I've been back-stabbed and screwed over. And the capital loan that is currently on my account will NOT be paid back. I don't care if they take me to collections. They just screwed themselves over.

Original review: May 13, 2019

Square dropped me as customer after just a couple of weeks. They never told me why I was dropped even after several attempts to get a reason sent to me. What sort of company does that? Not one I want to be doing business with. Find someone else.

Original review: May 13, 2019

So it seems Square customer service is slowly turning to garbage. Yesterday I received a dispute from a customer. I tried to reply to it and provide evidence on Square website but their website does not work or allow me to move to next step. It is stuck on one page. I tried to call them, after going through 5000 phone options and finally getting a phone number to call, it put me on hold and then asked for me to hang up. They said someone will call me back shortly. When they finally called back, there was no one on the other end. I said hello three times before they hung up. I get an email a minute later saying that I did not answer my phone which is crab because I did and I have been using my phone all morning.

Square does their best to prevent people from calling them. Their so called automated online chat assistant is just garbage and keeps giving you useless information that you already know. IF someone is dealing with few thousand dollars of disputes, they would want to talk to some live ** person not your piss poor automated system. Your system does not give me the answer I want with regards to details of disputes and I can't wait ** 3 months for the ** bank to review my evidence. I need to talk to someone to see what is going on. Square is good at taking 2.9% processing fee which is highest in the market and make billions, but when it comes to helping your customers, you use a third world phone and online system. It is just fantastic service.

Original review: May 13, 2019

Purchased Squareup POS hardware and took ages to arrive. Setting up Square is a maze on its own. Now I'm presented with a login screen that asks for some 4 digits? (Never had this before and there's No Hint to whatever that shall mean, nor is there an option to "resend" any possible password (unless my assumption to this, constituting a password, is wrong).

Bank account verification takes ages BUT, they say I can accept already payments ONLY, Squareup will hold the payments until my bank account is being approved. WHAT? They take the money and then tell me I wasn't approved? That strategy stinks beyond Mars. I would NOT use this app unless everything is cleared. Been there, done it, don't need another scam artist trick me.

Customer service? Which, the one coming into your office cleaning your toilet? I bet they do a much better job in understanding customer service than our Australian Multi-award winning world class customer service experts (all self-proclaimed, though, mind you). Nope, after weeks still not being able to take payments I am about to close this thing and lay it to rest. I need no time-wasters nor scammers, nor business damaging "business partners".

Original review: May 11, 2019

My cash app won't verify my identity. Now it's saying account maybe closed. As an option I choose when I try contact support. I can't get or send money nor take off smh. Don't know what I should do? I had a a card that was being shipped to me. Now on my app it's as if I never ordered 1.

Original review: May 10, 2019

Square made us believe we were approved, let us charge a clients card 300.00 then sent a email the next day saying that our account was canceled and that they would refund our client in 90 days. They are thieves, and stole our clients money. Avoid Brandon and his sales tactics, he will make you believe you have nothing to worry about. I explained our company model and he said, "No worries we deal with clients like yours and you will be approved." We did the application and were approved. We entered our clients pay. They took the money. When we asked for our deposit they canceled the account and said it would be 90 days to refund. This was our first charge. We have had a merchant account for over 9 years and Brandon convinced us to switch. HORRIBLE and nothing but lies. Be careful of this company.

Original review: May 7, 2019

Count: 7 dropped calls, 0 solutions/ assistance provided. 2 weeks in total of chasing them without receiving any assistance, 1 answered emails (out of 5 sent; a response of "we'll get back to you", without actually following through with the promise). Their customer service is conveniently handled by a Call Center, so that they wouldn't have to account to anyone. The reps in the center are clueless, on top of being rude. I was hung up on 7 times and I highly doubt it was due to a technical error. I was told lies and when asking for a ticket number, timeline or anything factual, the rep simply hung up (a rep named Paul did it twice).

Recommendation to dealing with these type of "service providers: Download a conversation recording app; And more importantly, DON'T USE SQUARE! There are a lot of alternatives out there and you'll be saving yourself time and nerves, while actually receiving a service. SQUARE IS A JOKE! You will only be wasting your time. And if you're in doubt, I'm obviously not the only one having a issues with them (average 2 stars all over the net).

Original review: May 4, 2019

I've been using Square for over two years. They sold me their POS system with a value of approximately $2,000 as it was their new retail system. After about a year of using their system and getting their new retail system set up and all my inventory into the system they suddenly disabled my account due to not abiding by their rules and regulations. They have kept my deposit which luckily was not a large amount but I feel how they treated me as a customer is completely wrong.

When I called and spoke to a service rep which I was only able to contact the payroll section of their company because their lines were down that day which seems to be a common problem he told me that I was canceled because of the products that I sell being a vape and smoke shop and letting them know this before buying their system. I was told there would be no problem. Now a year later they changed their rules to target stores like mine. The worst part about it is that they canceled my account on a Friday where finding a new company is almost impossible and leaving me without a POS system to continue sales as now the system I bought is utterly worthless. They took my money then tossed me into the street and will not speak to me.

Their customer service is basically non-existent. I've emailed them many times and keep getting the same response from a bot stating that I violated sections of their terms of use without any further explanation. They won't even speak to me nor give me a customer code to contact customer service anymore. I recommend anybody who is showing interest in this company to reconsider and pick a different company as this company is a big fraud scheme that uses their customers until they I've gotten what they wanted and dump them to the street putting a small business in turmoil.

Original review: April 29, 2019

Be careful using Square system!! We just lost $3.900 as a client's credit card bank claim a refund and after three months of investigation and after we submitted all documentation that our sale was a legitimate sell and we provide the services in full... Square people didn't support us and they just allowed the client's bank to keep the money. We called Square many times and the only replied was that the decision was made and is nothing they can do!! So, they just keep saying that they can't do nothing. It seems that they only are interested in keeping their portion for the transaction and that's it.

We were not able to replied to the client's bank for them to hear our side and or to submit more documentation. Their only advice is that we must look for a lawyer to sue the client. It must be an option which Square support its clients and help us fight back in order to recovery our money. We are located in Toronto, Canada. We would appreciate any some advice from someone. Who should we contact here in Canada? Email us: info@extraluggage.ca.

Original review: April 25, 2019

Our account was deactivated for no reason! It seems like once your account is canceled you can't reach them anymore. We've been sending emails for 2 weeks. We only get an automated responses with random answers. They are not responding at all.

Original review: April 24, 2019

I have used Square for 3-4 years and have had 3 companies set up. I have processed at least $30,000.00-$40,000.00 through these other companies. I set up a new company recently and tried to process my customer's payment - they made me refund. I provided all documentation, corporate papers, bank account activity, etc.. They give no reason for making me refund my customer's payment multiple times and there is no way to talk to a supervisor - 0% customer service. I am not recommending anyone to use this company anymore, because there is no customer service only robots telling you that your customer's payment cannot be processed, with no reason why.

Original review: April 23, 2019

My girlfriend sent this off almost 3 months ago and I'm still waiting today. I called to find out what was going on or if they could tell me anything and they told me that since it was sent UPS there was nothing they could do. UPS told me they received it so I called back and since I don't have a receipt they told me there still nothing they can do. Well I know that she sent it. I know that it made it there so... I'm waiting. I'll keep yall informed,

Original review: April 22, 2019

I'm wondering why and how the recipe of my purchase from Yellowbelly restaurant was sent to someone else without my knowledge. I'm not a Square customer and have not signed for their services; also the recipient of the this receipt has not signed for Square services. Why this receipt recipient got the information where I used my credit card which is my personal information and must not be shared with other individuals. I would like get a response form both Yellowbelly and Square organizations to explain why they shared my credit card usage with someone who I have not authorized them to share with.

Original review: April 2, 2019

I have had Square for a while but haven’t been recently using it. So I started using it again to sell my Beats. So I had three big payments from someone and the Square company investigated my account because of the payments. So now they're holding my money until June 30th and they deactivated my account for selling Beats. I hate this company.

Original review: April 2, 2019

We have been in business and used Square for 4 half years, had loans with them, and boom out of the blue we got shut down. If we were doing something wrong it would have been nice for a heads up and it would have been taken care of. We got shut down and can’t even get them to get back with us, so beware, we put 700,000.00 grand through them last year. Don’t put too much faith in this company. We are Queencityvapors in Springfield Mo.

Original review: March 29, 2019

They have very little customer support, and they have access to your social security! They closed my account for NO reason at all! In an email they said I had chargebacks to my account... I HAVE NEVER!!! When I reached out through their email support, all I get is, "We've done a review of your account and have decided to terminate your account." I've used this service no more than 6 or 7 times. Everyone was paid accordingly. There has to be something else going on that I'm not privy to. Something they don't want to share. I'm totally uncomfortable with this! And, I've recently contacted the Secretary of State's office, and the BBB. DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE!!

Original review: March 28, 2019

Tried signing up for a square and their website said my address is invalid. (Funny the mail comes here daily.) When I tried multiple times to contact them to rectify the problem there was no way to get to a person. When I clicked on the contact option it goes to a chat type screen with a robot. Tried it with no success. I had already entered a significant amount of personal information as they require a bank account in which to make deposits. They now have all of that info but no way for me to get a square. I get emails from them now and have no way to unsubscribe or respond because it’s a no reply account, Glad I see upfront that they have ZERO customer contact or assistance before I got fully involved with them because if I had any problems in the future there would be NO way to get assistance. It’s all self serve. Too frustrating. I have experienced nothing positive with this company and would like for them to stop sending emails.

Original review: March 27, 2019

This company allows crooks to use their equipment and steal money from unsuspecting customers. Once you insert your card, you will NEVER see your money again. I think it is despicable what you guys stand for. DO NOT EVER PUT YOUR CARD in their equipment. The taxi scam is real and they do nothing to prevent it. SHAME ON YOU!!!

Original review: March 26, 2019

This company has the worst customer service. Wish I could leave zero stars! I cannot use their credit card system for my small business because they are unable to verify my identity and I have a business EIN number with my own social security number. I was told to call the IRS and figure out what they show as my name and address. The IRS even sent me a letter verifying my LLC information. Square up rep stated the decision is final. Apparently a born and raised US citizen with a global entry card and an LLC business with a letter from the IRS doesn’t exist! Yeah Square, I’m a fake person! Thanks for not helping to even try and solve the issue. I went with Merchant One. Amazing customer service and cheaper rates!

Original review: March 24, 2019

We started a new doctors office and have contract staff at our clinic. We use Square POS for our cash business which is fairly simple. However their payroll system is beyond terrible. I enrolled my staff for payroll about a month ago thereafter went through a verification process for 2 bank deposits, Tax ID details etc. and my account is not yet activated and my staff has not got their wages because of poor customer support from Square payroll. I have called customer support 3 times - all reps have no clue about the account verification process. I have send them 2 email messages - no acknowledgment or response yet.

Original review: March 23, 2019

This app started out a great idea. I do side work and my customers pay me through this app. Due to a customer's diabolical way. My customer somehow found out that, if you pay someone through Cash App and then disputed it, cash out will refund the money. Regardless if the money was rightfully yours or not they take the side of whoever dispute. Which cause them to then deactivate your account and pretty much tell you, "Oh well." So then that means whoever is paying you got off with free work. Not cool at all.

Original review: March 22, 2019

I paid for a class for my granddaughter on the company's website who uses Square. Within 15 mins I had 10 charges from Square Caviar totally $575. I had to contact my bank to disputed all the charges. I believe Square hacked my card through the company's website and Square account. I’ll never pay someone who uses Square again.

Square expert review by Beverly Harzog

Jack Dorsey, co-founder of Twitter, is Square's CEO and co-founder. The company offers a credit card reader that attaches to your smart phone or tablet as well as wireless equipment for other types of payments.

• No long-term contracts: Signing up is free and doesn’t require a commitment.

• Free Square reader: Sign up and receive a free Square magstripe reader.

• Wireless Square reader for EMV cards, contactless cards and NFC payments: Accept every way your customer wants to pay. With this one reader, they can use Apple Pay (NFC) or EMV chip cards. With the free Square magstripe reader, you are set up to process all payments.

• Customer Directory: Integrates with Square and adds your customer to its directory. You can view profiles, sort customers into groups, see spending habits and more.

• Tax-preparation shortcuts: Built-in tools instantly complete a spreadsheet in one click to detail sales history faster.

• Square Dashboard: Create an online store and have it hosted by Square. You can sell online and manage it all in Square Dashboard.

• Square Inventory alerts: Get daily stock alert emails instantly whenever inventory items start running out.

• Transparent pricing: Flat rate of 2.25 percent (per swipe, dip, or tap). For manually entered transactions, rate is 3.5 percent + $0.15.

• Best for: Professional service providers, online shop owners, mobile vendors and retailers seeking simple, secure, and easy credit card processing.

Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
    Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Square Company Information