Square

Compare Credit Card Processing Companies

Research top Credit Card Processing Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

These people are crooks! They took over 1,500 out of my account, froze my bank account, then they terminated me and told me I could get my money back in 90 days and now will not even accept my calls!! Stay away from this scam company as they stole my money with no reason why. No one could explain why they took my money. They just said that there was suspicious activity when the only suspicious activity was them taking my money and then they freeze your account, followed by they terminate your account and make it so you can't even call! No major company treats their customers like this and is still in business is all I know. It's just a matter of time before they are fined, penalized, or sued for the way they are scamming people.

I have been using squareup.com credit card processing for over 5 years, and swiped thousands of dollars worth of credit cards without complaint until now. They have taken over $500.00 out of my account for appointment scheduling service that I NEVER signed up for and NEVER used. Not only did I wait on hold for 45 minutes but was transferred 4 times, when someone finally gets on the phone and say our appointments representative gets the "last say". They could see the program was NEVER used. Think they refunded me my money? Nope. Pay attention to all account deposits and settings!!! Shady business.

Square will cancel your account and close it and they will not tell you why!!! They refer you to Section 36 that states that they hold the right to cancel your account without notice and will not tell you why. Do not use them. Use Shopify instead. They are better. Their customer service is 24/7 and they do take care of you. Square customer service also are really rude. Businesses do not trust Square!!!

I am a current customer of Square and been a user since 2014. Never had issues with them to the point where I stop using their services. Recently I did have an issue to where I was being charged interest for a loan that I never received but after contacting Square through email and by phone the situation was fixed. Square refunded our money that was lost and we were back to business.

We used Square Credit Card Processing for approximately 2 years without a hitch. It seemed almost as if our account was targeted and targeted by Square themselves. One day we had processed a single transaction but when we checked the "dashboard" of our account there were 3 charges pending. Upon further investigation our account number had been charged to a bank in another state. I immediately attempted to contact Square only to find out that their customer service was virtually nonexistent. All I could do was to send an email and wait for a response. The response came three days later. Luckily we were able to process a refund to our customer. However there was no stopping these charges on credit card numbers that belonged to people we did not know, did not make and had no idea where they came from or where the money was going to. Square was totally unhelpful and just said that they would do their own investigation.

Meanwhile we had to close our account with our bank to stop any further transactions with Square. As it turned out that proved to be the smart move because they attempted to charge our account to recover these funds. When we did some reading on the internet we found that this was a common occurrence with other businesses that used Square. Why they don't have a bad reputation, I don't know. We should have researched the company much more before we decided to trust them with any financial transactions. The lack of customer service, no way to contact them by phone and then the attempt to charge us for the bogus charges. I would warn all consumers using or considering using Square to look elsewhere. And check to see what kind of customer service is available should you have a problem.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Square?

Processing thousands of dollars thru their accounts. Whenever there's a problem if you ask the customer service reps name and ID they will talk to you like trash then hang up the phone on you. Happened twice in one day. If you ask to speak with a Manager they will tell you that they can't connect you to a manager. They can only have one call you back. Also they will give advice like "If Square isn't working for you then you should go somewhere else."

I've used Square for the last 3 years during an event I operate. Initially, we chose Square solely on the fact that they offer a robust POS application for free if you're using them for processing. Pretty good deal when you're on a very tight budget. They live up to their claims of being able to deposit into your account within 24 hours, we've never had an issue with that. The only problem I have with them is that their rate is pretty high. The POS system trade off is good, but if my event continues to grow I don't know that I'll be able to swallow the size of the fees incurred.

The limits to me are more that it is hard for people to trust or believe that it is a legitimate and viable method of portable payment. The fees are mostly worthwhile if you have a bulk of transactions especially those which are substantial enough to offset the expenses to profit from. The customer service is a little trick and I recommend paying attention to time zones and business hours. Phoning is likely less successful than online customer service/support. The variety and out-of-the-box functionality of Square is amazing. It is great to be up and running in under an hour, actually more like 15 minutes.

I think they are fine. I've only used Square to make purchases and I wasn't aware that it had limits. I've used it to make purchases mostly at the beauty salon. I didn't have to pay a fee to use it. I have only been on the consumer end of Square. As a consumer it's great. I have been fortunate enough to never need to contact customer service for anything during the time that I used Square. As a consumer I was always satisfied with my purchase. As I have only been a customer I have not accessed very many features of Square so I am very satisfied with the variety that they offer me to tip along with my purchase.

The recent changes to the monthly limits are the best thing that they could have done. It makes me very happy and has pushed them into my preferred payment solution. I find the fees to be very competitive. They are fair and are quite low. I happily pay them as they are well worth the service that I receive. They offer high-quality customer support. The representatives know their products very well and are always cheerful and happy to answer any questions. I find that they offer all of the solutions that I need. They have enough solutions to make choosing the right one for my business was easy and straightforward.

Monthly limits are reasonable to the average consumer. I cannot see anyone spending more in a month. They charge for reasonable things and they do not add on mysterious fees like some other companies. Customer support is always friendly and welcoming. They try to help you with any questions you may have without transferring you to another customer representative. Not too much variety to choose from, but the few choices I do have are enough to cover any concerns I may be having.

2.75% is not really a bad discount rate. And your money's there in a couple of days. The chargeback time is in line with other and reading services so l do not really have any complaints. It's generated more business and that offsets any limits to me. 2.75% is average. Chargeback Protection is free for all Square merchants and covers eligible chargebacks up to a total of $250 a month. 3.5% plus 15 cents for charges on cards that don't have a chip... I got 0 complaints. Customer support is there when you need them and they are helpful and courteous and will spend the time it takes to resolve your questions or problems. Now they are offering Apple pay which definitely gives you an advantage on the competition! It allows me to take any charge my customers have wanted to use.

Expert Review

Beverly HarzogCredit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.    More about Beverly→

Jack Dorsey, co-founder of Twitter, is Square's CEO and co-founder. The company offers a credit card reader that attaches to your smart phone or tablet as well as wireless equipment for other types of payments.

• No long-term contracts: Signing up is free and doesn’t require a commitment.
  • Free Square reader: Sign up and receive a free Square magstripe reader.
  • Wireless Square reader for EMV cards, contactless cards and NFC payments: Accept every way your customer wants to pay. With this one reader, they can use Apple Pay (NFC) or EMV chip cards. With the free Square magstripe reader, you are set up to process all payments.
  • Customer Directory: Integrates with Square and adds your customer to its directory. You can view profiles, sort customers into groups, see spending habits and more.
  • Tax-preparation shortcuts: Built-in tools instantly complete a spreadsheet in one click to detail sales history faster.
  • Square Dashboard: Create an online store and have it hosted by Square. You can sell online and manage it all in Square Dashboard.
  • Square Inventory alerts: Get daily stock alert emails instantly whenever inventory items start running out.
  • Transparent pricing: Flat rate of 2.25 percent (per swipe, dip, or tap). For manually entered transactions, rate is 3.5 percent + $0.15.
  • Best for Professional service providers, online shop owners, mobile vendors and retailers seeking simple, secure, and easy credit card processing.

Compare Credit Card Processing