2.22/5

Need credit card processing?

Square

Need credit card processing?

296 Square Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 5, 2019

Been with Square for about four years dealing with public school band instrument repairs. Square has really simplified collecting for me. One major account has provided all their band directors with their budgets on American Express cards. When I deliver completed repairs, they hand me the card for processing in my cellphone. When I leave, the money is already in my Square account and in my bank account the next day. That is a tremendous bargain for less than 3% processing fee and quick payment. Cash flow in dealing with school districts has always been a problem. Square has really helped me to be able to work with the most progressive customers and let my competitors fight with the slow payers!

Original review: May 30, 2019

I see some negative reviews below. I have not experienced the same problems. In fact, we left PayPal (a disaster) over intrusive requirements, horrible customer service and withholding funds. We filed a claim in civil court, and once I talked to someone that actually listened, once they heard the "civil court" our funds were released in 20 minutes. Beside the Reader, we have also have Square for our web payments. It is integrated with Gravity Forms. It took some fiddling, but it is working smoothly now, and it is FAST. Money deposited the same day, not like slowpoke PayPal. At this point I would say we are quite happy with Square.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Card Processing delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 29, 2019

I feel like negative comments are "louder" than positive ones. I needed a means of accepting credit cards, as most younger generations don't know how to write a cheque, and customers were giving me ** for not taking credit. I've done so many swipes with my reader, and I receive the money in 1 or 2 days. What are you all complaining about? You get around 2.7% fee and you get your money fast in your account. The support is also very fast. I am baffled at the bad reviews. The reader does what it claims it will do; accept credit, and send you money in 1-2 days. Do you all want the reader to give free massages too?

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

Although I don't personally use the app as a point of sale; I send invoices. My customers get offered cash, check or charge and when they say charge I use Square. Square is a pay only for what you use provider meaning I don't have to worry about monthly charges for the privilege of accepting card payments. I send invoices to customers within the app and they pay thru a link in the email. I usually send invoices while I'm standing next to customer and they pay me before I leave. We both get confirmation emails of the payment and I never touch the customer's card. Simple, easy and straightforward terms.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

We cannot say enough good things about Square. We've used it for about 6 years for some family businesses. It's affordable, clear, clean and does exactly what we need it to do for a small company. We have several hair salons. The equipment is small and easy to use. Square Capital is a godsend for short term loans.

The loans do not affect your credit rating & they deduct a % with each day's closing. My only complaint is that Square released their payroll program too soon. It doesn't calculate all local taxes properly.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Square?

Original review: July 12, 2019

I processed thousands of dollars with this company. They put my account on hold months ago and I have never seen any of my money. If you look at other reviews by other companies they have done this to many other companies as well. Also, when customer file disputes they fight the dispute even when the merchant tells them to refund the client.

Original review: July 11, 2019

Square has held my money for over 3 weeks. They won't refund. They won't explain why the hold. They won't give information for contacting corporate or legal. They say one thing and do another. They say they don't have supervisors. You can get zero information. No reporting in the system when they take money.

Original review: July 11, 2019

We are an established company that provides manufacturing services and retails building materials to contractors and the general public...sales of $900K last year. We are a small business with seven employees. We have accepted payment strictly by check or cash for several years but recently decided to meet the growing demand for credit card payment options by creating a Square account. Easy set up and easy to use...no issues for the first two months.

Then, PROBLEMS. Served up with a big fat dose of extreme frustration Square style. Thousands of dollars in deposits suspended for days while while their “verification team” performed some abstract, unknown “security” checks. During this time (8 days on the second occasion) Square sat on our funds, and provided absolutely no reason why it had suspended deposits into our bank account. Keep in mind, these are funds from actual legitimate sales from extremely satisfied customers. No disputes, no irregularities.

The biggest problem with Square is its almost complete absence of customer service. Woe is you if you need to communicate with these people. If it has not happened to you yet, imagine this. Everything is going great when all of a sudden you receive a little alert message from Square saying “your deposits have been suspended while we look into some unusual activity with your account”. Hmmm you think, these things happen, I better give them a call to see what is up. Their support center does indeed say you can reach them by phone. Call them, find out what is going on and what needs to happen, right? Good luck.

You cannot actually talk to a real person at Square. They say you can but you can’t. I don’t just mean endless waiting times. I mean they are unreachable. To gain access to their phone support you have to download a customer code by logging in and following some seemingly simple steps. This elusive customer code is a figment of someone’s imagination at Square’s head office. We were never able to download a customer code, always got the message “not currently available for this account." Just try and reach someone by phone at Square. Try it. I dare you. There are some mythical tales out there of people having spoken to a real human at Square. We tried more than fifteen times over the course of two weeks. Try it. You’ll see.

Seeing as phone support from Square is merely a fantasy, that leaves only emailing the “support team” to get answers. This is a path of tears that goes on for days. Emailing half-automated quasi humans who have no answers and regurgitate the same rehearsed “thanks for your patience. Our verification team will notify you shortly”. All of this goes on while your legitimately hard earned funds are being held by Square... for days! No reasons, no answers. Frustration beyond description.

Those positive reviewers I see here have evidently not had the joy of being tortured by Square yet. How many negative reviews do you see here? Many many many. Beware. Square is not a good company to deal with. In fact, I would honestly have to say that they are the worst Company I have ever had dealings with. We are level headed, positive, objective and solution minded business owners. We need to soar with eagles, not gobble with the turkeys. So long Square. Your corporate model sucks. We are taking our business elsewhere.

Original review: July 10, 2019

I gave them a one star because there is nothing lower to choose from. They are a piece of crap and took money from my account and did not send it to the recipient. There is no one you can talk to, no customer service, and will not provide a receipt because they do not find any of the information of the bank account even though they took the money. I have read all the NEGATIVE reviews, but unfortunately, too late. What a crappy crooked fraudulent business they are. No respect or consideration for hard working people trying to make a living. THEY ARE THE REASON THIS COUNTRY IS FALLING APART. BUNCH OF LOSERS AND SNOWFLAKES. UHHHHH.

Original review: July 10, 2019

After several years they flagged my account and shut it down for NO reason. I’m a legitimate business. They are now holding my money. Made me upload license with license number and my business registration?!? Absolute BS. No one will talk to me on the phone, won’t give me a customer code. They are terrible. Shut this company down. I will be suing them for my money.

Original review: July 10, 2019

This place is an absolute nightmare. They offer instant deposit of your money but they do the opposite. They hold your funds without giving you access and have no customer service department for you to call when things go bad. I searched for a whole day to get a number and when I got a hold of them and asked for a supervisor I was told that they didn't have any for customers to speak to because it was company policy. These people are thieves.

I am a vacation rental business. I refunded one customers payment because a weather issue that was out of my control even though I have a total 100% non-refund policy. They have since held over $7,000 in deposits from me, even though my customers have filed absolutely no disputes, they dropped me from my account, even though I have three other accounts that they did not drop.

I missed my payroll this week because they will not release my $7,000. I have asked about 10 times via phone calls with their customer service department and 10 times via email to have the proper department to contact me. The customer service department says there is no way to contact the disputes with Square department. They provide the worst customer service I have ever received. I have no idea how to get my money out of these folks. Try getting a hold of their legal department let alone their disputes with Square department. They are supposed to specialize in small businesses. What a joke. Missing a payroll may put me out of business.

Square is poorly run with poor customer service, no phone support for anything with customer services reps that are trained to give you the runaround. I CANNOT CONTINUE TO WORK WITH THEM, BUT UNTIL I GET MY $7,000 RELEASED THERE IS NOTHING I CAN DO. PLEASE PLEASE please have someone get them off their bum and help small businesses instead of trying to put them out of business.

SQUARE HAS A suite of software solutions, including niche POS systems, that address a huge assortment of business needs. The cost of their hardware and software support is nothing to sneeze at. I SPENT ALMOST $2000 FOR HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE FOR POS STANDS, RECEIPT PRINTERS, KITCHEN PRINTERS AND IPADS. A total waste of money that I will now have to trash as there is absolutely no other use for their equipment. Beware Square and look for any and all available competitors. Payment Depot (SwipeSimple), Lightspeed Retail, Payline Mobile, Shopify Lite, Fattmerchant, iZettle, ShopKeep, Intuit/QuickBooks GoPayment, SumUp, Vend POS + PayPal. THESE ARE ALL BETTER CHOICES THAN SQUARE.

Original review: July 10, 2019

I had a customer that had made several purchases from my website in a year's time that had their credit card hacked. When they notified their bank of the fraudulent charges mine was listed as one that wasn't! When Square contacted me to dispute the charges I sent them an email from my customer (which is also a good friend), all of her contact information along with the purchase and pick up receipt from my online store! And after that I heard nothing for 3 months from them, then this morning they still took the money back out of my bank! When I contacted her she stated her bank told her Square never even contacted her bank to settle this dispute! No contact was ever made by them on my behalf to my customer or her bank so basically it just sat in limbo then took the money out of my bank! I have taken them off my website as a way to pay and will be looking into someone that's willing to put a little effort into their customers and their business.

Original review: July 5, 2019

Original review: July 2, 2019

My wife and I run a very successful international travel company. Typically we take payments through online sites, PayPal, etc. We figured that having some credit card processing capabilities might be a good idea. Some years ago my wife had a business in the arts field and used Square for card processing and had some decent experiences so she figured that working with this company now might be a good idea. I want to preface this review with the fact that I am a very experienced business person and a very successful former CEO of high tech companies. Not some troll or guy who doesn’t know what he is doing. This is the real deal.

We opened a new account with Square and then the horror show started. The experiences we got were by far some of the worst customer service experiences we have ever encountered in over 40 years if being in business. CEO Jack Dorsey should be ashamed of himself for runners no such a poorly run company. Seriously, this is a disgrace to the world of business. Right after our account was opened and while we were in the middle of processing a very legitimate payment, the account was shut down. This really upset our important customer.

We tried to contact Square and we received nothing but a big run around. There is no one to talk to, no one to provide any kind of service. All you do is hit the big fat Square wall. So what a waste of time it is to even try to work with this company. Go online and read the reviews about them. They are awful and most reviews all mention the same thing — terrible service. We ended up taking our business over to PayPal and we’ve had no problems. My best advice as an experienced business person is to not do any business with this company and avoid the big hassles.

Original review: June 28, 2019

I started an account with Square and thought it was great. I had no bank account so they said they would mail me a check until we established one. Since it was a side business I thought ok. I now have about $300 total in the account and they slowly chipped away at it with claims of charge backs and questionable sales. I sell cocoa butter and black soap and natural items and have already shipped the products to the customers.

This is now over two years and I have now been told that they will not be able to carry my store anymore and that whatever balances that we are owed will be determined upon after an internal investigation where some or all monies may not be returned. I threatened them with a small claims court case and they sent me an address in San Francisco for their legal team. I have since determined that they are a scam company and have set this all up from the concept of their company. I live in NYC. How could I possibly sue someone in San Francisco for $300. It's not even worth the processing fee but to them I'm a joke....

Original review: June 27, 2019

Square shut down my account, refused to tell me why. Asked for a ton of banking info and then proceeded with fraudulently charging both our account and then the accounts of our customers. Beware, much of our experience with them for years was great but now they are just flat out thieves.

Original review: June 25, 2019

It says phone support is not currently available for my account but I have $5,476.07 of client deposits for services that they have suspended. This company is horrible. What do I even do??? They are not even responding via email.

Original review: June 23, 2019

Pay attention to Cash App & which account they are choosing to send your money. I opted to cash out & send it to my credit union. I have 1 account that I'm the owner & another account I'm labeled joint on. Cash App only asks you to "login" to your account & after that, you get a pop up message stating it was successful & they reveal the ending numbers on the checking account. Since I only owned 1 account, I didn't pay attention & didn't notice they had the last digits of the account I was "joint" on. I deleted the account off Cash App & tried again thinking I did something wrong.

This time I noticed the digits to the account number & realized it's the app not me. When Cash App has a choice of multiple accounts, Cash App doesn't ask which one the customer wants, Cash App decides for you, where YOUR money will go. This app should be sued. It was none of the other person's business on the other account I'm joint on, how much money I received. I'm surprised this app hasn't been shut down yet.

Original review: June 13, 2019

Wanted to verify my business and held my funds. I've had Square register for several years. I use my Android phone to process credit card payments. I was in the hospital in January for two weeks and was unable to work till the end of May 2019. I started working in June and started using my Square Register on my phone in June. I noticed that my deposits were not going into my business checking account. I tried to deal with the Internet on my phone and could not get through to the company. I do not have internet at home and my laptop is old we're talking about 6, and I need to update the internet service.

I tried to call the company and they do not have a customer service. I finally found a number that said if I had a customer code they would answer a question. I didn't know I had a customer code. I found on my Square app that they had a customer contact messenger. Next to that a live chat popped up and I try to deal with that live person typing in my situation on my tiny little phone. All I got was robotic answers from the person stating that I had to deal with the compliance Department regarding my hell deposits. They told me I had to verify my business. Just took me by surprise because I had to verify my business in order to get an account with them.

They told me to go on dashboard on Squareup.com and finish the verification process. I went online and my tiny little phone to the square app and found my dashboard. I found the need to verify your business button and I clicked on it. There were several questions they ask me and I answered them as best as I could. They wanted my business registration and they wanted to see the forms that I had four customers to sign as I use their credit cards. Some I do have a form for my U.S. Mail clients. I also swipe peoples credit cards and they signed with their fingertip on my phone. I filled out all the information and then it said I had to upload my business registration in the form that the people sign for credit card payments.

Being 65 years old and been on computers for a long time, I had very stressful time trying to deal with taking pictures and uploading them. Well their app wouldn't allow me to upload anything. I took a picture of the documents and it wouldn't upload. So I dragged my computer out of my house into the library and I could not get online. I went to a private home, and this is after of week of frustration, the person realize that my laptop hasn't been online so the updates didn't take for my Internet Explorer. I tried to deal with that and that did not work out well. The person's home that I was with help me on their computer to go to the dashboard the questions I answered were there and they uploaded a letter that I designed 2 give them the information they needed and as a letter of formal complaint.

My funds were being held as hostage, because they didn't have paperwork! Well if they had a problem with my account they should not have allowed the credit cards to go through instead of receiving payments from my clients. Once I receive the payment I service the customer and they are on their happy way. They do not have a customer service department. There is no one to call if you have a situation. Everything is done through the internet, supposedly through their emails in their message chats.

I couldn't get the information through to them that I don't have internet at home, I use my phone to process my credit cards and I expect to have my deposits within the 1 to 2 business days in my business checking account. There was no one for me to get through and it was very frustrating upsetting and actually set back my health situation. As of today I still do not have my funds deposited into my checking account.

This is a poor way of doing business. I'm sure on there and they don't have to deal with customers and only deal with people that they take a percentage from that they don't have issues. But it's very frustrating on my end and I'm sure many other people that my issue was dragged out over a week interrupting my business schedule and not receiving a resolution for my situation.

If I was able to call someone and get the information sent to them quicker some way other than the internet. I wouldn't be writing this bad review. They did not take care of me as a customer. This has gone on way too long and I have ended my relationship with them. They finally emailed me and told me that it only could be resolved for my dashboard. If I didn't like the way they did business guess I should refund my customer and get an alternative payment. Well you know that's not going to happen, because my clients have their product or service and there's no way of contacting them and inconveniencing my customer through the U. S. Mail. It's almost $300, but I'll take the loss. And they lost me as a customer. VERY UPSET

Original review: June 13, 2019

Started of good and my account was shut down after receiving a capital loan. I have 18 months to repay. I have paid 54 per cent in 30 days. Now they shut me down and I have transactions that they are holding. They almost destroyed my business. Square should be circle. That way they would something to play with.

Original review: June 11, 2019

This is not a good product for business owners. Only a fool would pay 3% for something you can get for 1.5%. Don’t be lazy. Shop around. My Business runs 500k in credit cards and I saved about 7500.00 a year.

Original review: June 9, 2019

I have been in business for over 30 years. Thought to give Square a try and it was a nightmare from the start with them. They withhold your money without reason. Square held $2,500 of a sale without explaining why they did that. While they held my funds hostage - they took their percent right away! Rip off company! You may think you're happy with them for the first few weeks until they pull something off like this with your money. Try calling them - it's a joke. They never answer their phones nor respond to your emails for weeks on end! PayPal all the way for me! What a poor excuse of a so called merchant company.

Original review: June 9, 2019

I have operated 2 businesses over the past 19 years. Every time a customer handed me a credit card my heart sank. The fees were only half the frustration. I felt like I was being scammed for years and obviously I was since I just received a check from a class action lawsuit. Then along came Square. I thought for sure it was too good to be true. A flat rate which meant I could take American Express as well? Well it is true. I can switch between my 2 businesses on my cell phone to run credit cards. Easy as pie. My complaint is the lack of customer service. Life is good until you have an issue. They are only open Mon-Fri and they do not have 24 hour support.

I think my account has been compromised and it still has been a few days since I contacted them and no response. I emailed them on a weekday as well. You have to search for a contact number. I'm in a panic. I don't have time to search for anything. I need to speak to someone now. We are dealing with credit card numbers and bank accounts. So in closing, this is a great product until you have an issue.

Original review: June 7, 2019

Earlier this week, a client made a purchase via Square for a $25,000 item, which he had pre-approved from his credit card company. Square refused to deposit the funds into my account and, in fact, notified me they were closing my account and holding my funds for THREE MONTHS. I attempted simply to refund the client, but Square then said it would take TWO WEEKS to credit the client back. They have done serious financial harm to my 40+ year old business as well as damaged my business reputation. Everything I sell is fully compliant with all local, state and federal laws yet they have chosen to restrict my legal commerce and intend to hold my capital with ZERO compensation. This company is openly discriminating against many individuals and committing fraud by retaining funds illegally for so long.

Original review: June 6, 2019

I purchased my first card reader and it worked great for a couple weeks. Got to the point it wouldn't hold a charge. Sent it back under warranty. The replacement worked for a couple weeks then did the same thing. Would work for about 2 hours, then would have to be recharged, then it had to be on the charger constantly. I only use this on weekends, and only about 5 months out of the year. The rest of the time it sits in my money bag. It won't even hold a charge long enough for you to process a single card now, even if it's plugged in. At this point I can only use their free charger to process cards! Save your money!!

Original review: June 6, 2019

I just get repaired for my small business, running test system for payment online through my website. And then after 2 week they just deactivate my account, don't answer me when I asked for the reason.

Original review: June 6, 2019

They are holding a $15000.00 transaction. I have provided all related information to prove I am a valid business with a valid sale, from customer contact to supplier information, to my tax return showing sales volume and all I get is a computer generated generic letter stating I cannot take gift cards and must provide a legitimate service. They refuse phone calls, and are not answering emails. I don't know where to turn.

Original review: June 5, 2019

Cash app has the worst customer support ever. No phone number to dial and can only be communicated through email. I’ve been waiting for 2 weeks for a response and they just keep saying they will have someone email me soon but no one did. I called fake Cash App support phone number 2 weeks ago without knowing and got scammed $2100. If Cash App customer support was more reachable and more helpful I might’ve been able to get my money back but their slow response and bad customer support made me lose the most urgent time I could’ve tried to get my money back.

Even till now I still haven’t been able to talk to Cash App about this problem and I am extremely frustrated with Cash App. I will tell all my friends not to use Cash App because it is so poorly run without customer support and there are so many scammers out there scamming people through Cash App and Cash App makes no effort to help resolve these fraud problems.

Original review: June 4, 2019

Since the first moment I used Square, I’ve never had a problem with the setup, if there was a problem Square quickly updated the app. My customer enjoy it and that’s all that matters. I would refer this app to anyone looking for excellence.

Original review: June 1, 2019

Before we processed a credit card we called Square since it was for $4,225.00 a one time transaction. They said it was ok and we processed the debit card. Then we waited 4 days and I delivered the product. Meanwhile they cancelled processing it and demanded we answer 8 questions. Two days after we submitted the answer we got two more questions. Provide a copy of the credit card and D/L or passport.

Sad part was the $4,225.00 was withdrawn from the bank because it was a debit card and they have been holding it now for 3 weeks! I am planning on turning this over with all my documents to the Florida Attorney General Tuesday morning if I do not hear back from the CEO because I emailed him! There was no Supervisors or Managers available in Spanish or English. In other words the Customer NO Service is exactly that! SQUARE has not only FRAUDED us but since we are over 65 there is another crime in FLorida. Yes Buyer Beware....

Square expert review by Beverly Harzog

Jack Dorsey, co-founder of Twitter, is Square's CEO and co-founder. The company offers a credit card reader that attaches to your smart phone or tablet as well as wireless equipment for other types of payments.

• No long-term contracts: Signing up is free and doesn’t require a commitment.

• Free Square reader: Sign up and receive a free Square magstripe reader.

• Wireless Square reader for EMV cards, contactless cards and NFC payments: Accept every way your customer wants to pay. With this one reader, they can use Apple Pay (NFC) or EMV chip cards. With the free Square magstripe reader, you are set up to process all payments.

• Customer Directory: Integrates with Square and adds your customer to its directory. You can view profiles, sort customers into groups, see spending habits and more.

• Tax-preparation shortcuts: Built-in tools instantly complete a spreadsheet in one click to detail sales history faster.

• Square Dashboard: Create an online store and have it hosted by Square. You can sell online and manage it all in Square Dashboard.

• Square Inventory alerts: Get daily stock alert emails instantly whenever inventory items start running out.

• Transparent pricing: Flat rate of 2.25 percent (per swipe, dip, or tap). For manually entered transactions, rate is 3.5 percent + $0.15.

• Best for: Professional service providers, online shop owners, mobile vendors and retailers seeking simple, secure, and easy credit card processing.

Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
      Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Square Company Information