3.3/5 (2010 ratings)

About Square

Square offers multiple tools to make life more simple for business owners. The company helps business owners send invoices, accept online payments and offer delivery, pickup and shipping options. It also helps set up online stores. Square has solutions for multiple businesses, including retail stores and restaurants.

Square Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Square?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Square?

Original review: Dec. 9, 2021

I was introduced to Square by my cell phone service MetroPCS here in Oregon. In doing festivals outdoors I was very limited in being able to only take cash before I was introduced to square. It is so easy to use and understand. I would highly recommend this for any small business personnel. Or someone just starting a new business. The fees are not that much in using this service. I would not use another service because I have always been so happy with my square system.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2021

Thoroughly disappointed in this company that I’ve utilize for years. Recently November 21 I decided to use cash app debit card for a deposit hold. I was told that after 14 days my deposit would be released and yet it has not been released. If I had use my normal Bank debit card or credit card this would not be an issue. Hmm but because it’s a cash app debit card it’s a issue. Lesson learned do not trust a cash app card for deposit holds. At this point I do not trust this company. I'm going to throw away the debit card after I receive my deposit.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2021

I have been loyal to Square for years, but recently I have been very disappointed and scared to proceed with them. Recently I have added wholesale to my business and I get paid per order filled. Sometimes 1 order ships a day, Sometimes 20. The day before Thanksgiving I had a few deposits hit my account (all from the wholesale company I get orders through) totaling $1700.

I was at the store with my kids getting things for Thanksgiving and when I tried to use my Square Debit card it declined. I could very clearly see there was money both from the deposits + money that was previously in there from my shop sales. After having to call Square they notified me that my account was being reviewed due to those deposits. I explained that I have began wholesaling and that multiple deposits will be expected. He noted my account and within 3 hours it was unlocked. Fast forward a week... I had 9 deposits hit my account for $1900, I was at the store and card was declined again.

I called Square and was told yes, my account was "periodically reviewed" and there's nothing they can do. I literally have no cash, am stuck at the store, gas light on, and they didn't care. It is DEPOSITS, not withdrawals so I cannot understand why the "security alert". Also, they froze ALL of my money, not just from the deposits. I am still without access to my money and cannot get anyone to respond to me. I am now losing major money due to not being able to accept cards at my shop, my bills that were auto drafted have been kicked back including my website payment so that's unavailable also. I would advise you to stay far away from this company.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2021

I signed up with Square a couple years ago because they have competitive rates, instant transfers, and top notch customer support. I've been extremely pleased with answer times and they are always coming out with new tools and features to help make running your business for smoothly.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2021

We’ve been in business for 10 years now and we never would have made it with Square, from easy use to their capital loan we’ve grown our company and they have been the best service for our small company.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2021

I have had major issues time and time again that I have had to find ways to resolve on my own. I have lost my entire website, they held my domain name for two weeks, keeping me from being able to move to a new platform, and they have cost me tens of thousands of dollars in business. On top of this, I have never gotten a response on any email sent in for help and they also fail to help me over the phone. I typically spend an hour getting bounced around having to tell my story over and over again before they hang up altogether. Now I only have 4 of dozens of active orders showing up and I have a few dozen very angry clients asking where their order is, and I have no way of getting it to them because Square not only lost all the info on the orders but they also cannot find any of it apparently. This will ruin my reputation and put me out of business.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2021

I had $950 cash within Square Inc's Cash App. I lost access to this account for multiple years and I tried to get my money back. Square had been holding my money for so long that it is supposed to remit the money to the State's Unclaimed Property department. However, it hasn't done so for years and continues to hold the money. I have sent numerous requests to their Support team and they just keep dodging my requests with unreasonable questions such as the PIN number, etc. I lost access for years! Why would I need their help if I had the PIN! I contacted their Unclaimed Property Department (UnclaimedPropertyHelp@squareup.com). They replied to me only once, simply asking me to contact the Support. Then they no longer reply to me. This company is completely irresponsible and robbing money from consumers like me.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2021

We bought the square card reader to take to our first pop up shop. Bank account was verified, all worked, payments taken. Then it was time to get our funds transferred. This was supposed to happen the next working day. Each day I checked our balance and it would tell me the money would be transferred that day. Nothing was ever transferred. Every day, it said a new date until I finally called and asked. They told "your account is under review". I provided all information asked for. Then I checked again, now it said on my balance "transfers suspended". Called again. Was told I would just have to wait as they are investigating "suspicious activity on my account". Wait another week. 1K in payments are still being held by Square.

My account was approved. Business approved. Payments worked. Yet no transfers and I'm being told I just need to wait until my account is reviewed. Judging by all the reviews, that money will never reach us. It's been 2 weeks and hundreds and hundreds of pounds lost. LISTEN TO THESE 1 STAR REVIEWS - DO NOT USE!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2021

I am a small business owner. One of my client's credit card got declined. She was surprised so she tried it again and again. She then ask me to try a smaller amount. Still didn't pass. She then tried her other cards. Didn't work. So she decided to pay with debit. Square suspended my account suspecting fraudulent activity. I provided proof my business does not fraud. Bank account statement, billing etc. It took three hours. I was unable to do sales that day. After reviewing the information they decided to close my account for good.

There is no comeback. They hold on to the money. I lost hundreds of dollars. I wish I saw all the bad reviews about them but it seems that they are good at hiding it. I will not be doing business with Square anymore. A credit card decline is just something that happens. I don't have time to deal with this crap. I have been looking into other option and it seems Clover is a bit more expensive but at least they don't scam you from your customer money.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2021

Have a close look at all the 1 star ratings on this company! I also am a small business owner with funds under suspension, and possible fraudulent activity with my account. You will have a very difficult time reaching them by any means. Be warned. Do not use this company for anything, unless you want to lose money.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2021

I own a cleaning business and I only have one client that uses Square. Every time she made a payment my account goes under review. I have called and complained with no resolution. Today I ask to speak with a supervisor. She assured my account was ok and to complete my square security so that my account wouldn’t get flagged. 10 mins after the call I get a email that my account is closed and I have to wait for my funds to be released from the account. This company doesn’t care about your business. If you have a small business don't use this company if you're depending on your money to pay employees or bills because they will hold your funds without notices and it takes 30 days to release.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2021

Bad customer service, will not respond to emails. Will not take text or phone calls without a customer code, getting one is next to impossible. Once you get one they will block you from using it after 1 phone call.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2021

We had been using Square to track appointments for over a year when we begun experiencing an error message when attempting to access their dashboard, preventing us from seeing or creating appointments. Despite this error occurring in three different browsers on multiple computers and persisting through all troubleshooting on our end, square dismissed it as a browser issue and refused to continue to investigate. This continues to severely impact our ability to run our business and I do not recommend anyone rely on square for anything due to their lackadaisical support.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2021

As all other business complaining about Square my business received the same problems with Square, they holding your money with no reason, suspending your account with no reason. If you a business owner never use square for credit card payments!!! We are using Clover now and we very happy with. Square is a worst company I ever worked.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

For whatever reason, my swiper didn't work at the last show I did, so I had to enter credit cards manually. I followed the instructions on the Square Support page, selected Credit Card, and then went through each subsequent entry field typing in credit card number, expiration date, code on the back and customer zip code. In each instance the transaction ended with a checkmark and the word Approved.

When I didn't receive the payments, I contacted Square who insisted I had entered it as a Cash transaction, not a credit card transaction. When you enter a Cash transaction, the screen just accepts it, asks if they want a receipt, and then goes back to the New Sale page. It does not give you any way of entering the credit card information - which I did. They will not reimburse me, so I essentially had a Free Sale at my last show. Come and get it - no charge. They offered me a credit on future service charges, but that doesn't do me any good because I'm switching to another credit card payment service. Using Square is too much of a risk.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

For no reason I am able to find, Square has decided to "lock" the account and take whatever time they need to "review" the account. I'm not sure if they do this because Jack Dorsey doesn't like the employees or just really is in no way in touch with small business. I see no success in using Square as a card processer. Finding sooo much trouble dealing with the company. This is not sustainable.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

Signed up for square to do my invoicing. I have a service company and half of my clients are mail only no email or phone communication. Even though they have the option to manually print the invoice without emails and phone numbers it's just a waste of time. Called to ask for help after being put on hold several times I'm told that without them I'm SOL. What a rude and unhelpful company.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

Please if you don’t read any reviews at all please read this one. Square is the absolute worst company I have ever used for my business. I signed up for Square for my house painting business. These transactions are between $1,500- $7,000. They reported my account for suspicious activity with NO customer complaints, just off their “policy” it seems “fishy” with such high amounts, so they cancelled my account even WITH PROOF OF CONTACT and customers agreeing to the amounts! AND they withheld my funds with no way to release for 90 DAYS!! They still have yet to release my funds and will not accept a phone call. I’ve emailed customer service 4xs in the last 2 weeks with no answer or reply. DO NOT USE this company!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

After setting up my Square account and linking it to my website where we were selling tickets to our live Zoom conference. Square put a hold on our funds saying our activity was high risk and that our funds would not be released to us for 90 days unless we supplied them with 6 months of our personal bank statements but also my online banking login information and password. What??? My bank said to not give anyone my online banking information and password. At that point square would have everything they needed to not only set up credit cards in my name but also have full access and control of my finances. This is unacceptable and unreasonable.

When I refused to give them my login information from my bank (which was the only thing that was refused they have a copy of my ID, Social Security Card, 6 Months worth of bank statements as well as all of my website, personal and financial information) Square deactivated my account and are still holding my funds. They have absolutely no live representation in their phone support even though their website says they do. It is entrapment! They get you to sign up and charge you customers and take your money and use it to get your most private information. Most untrustworthy company I have ever seen. DON'T USE THIS SERVICE!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2021

We had an employee obtain a Square card Reader in our business name. He embezzled over 26K using a Square card reader. We contacted Square customer no service for assistance. They refused to help me in any way. We simply wanted to know if the employee used our EIN number or his personal SSN. We needed the information because the IRS is going to bill me for the 1099 tax bill. The employees were worthless and not willing to let me provide them with the EIN or the SSN number so they could verify how the account was set up. All we wanted to do was to provide the information to them so they could say yes or no. We asked to be transferred to a or the tax or fraud departments. They said they had neither. Thanks a lot Square.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

I really wanted to like Square and at first I did. I've had it for two years now for my counselling business. I have had to seek assistance for problems about five times. The support is very good. However, I had to constantly uninstall the app, reinstall it, reset the reader etc. etc. and it often still would not work when I needed it. It was very pedantic as to what I had to do, e.g. I found it worked best if I had the reader on before I turned on my phone to access the app. Other days I had to do the opposite!! It was very unpredictable.

I was always nervous as to whether it would work or not after a counselling session and unfortunately it often didn't. It's at the point now though that nothing the support people suggest, or that I now know to do, works. They suggested I send it back under warranty. However, I found out warranty is only 12 months, so that's no use to me at all. I'm now trying Zeller, hoping it's more consistent and reliable. It will be a relief if it is as I've never felt totally confident in square.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

My company had fraudulent activity on our square account in August of 2021. It was reported immediately through "customer service". Discovered the following day more fraudulent activity was still ongoing. Contacted "customer service". Suffice it to say... after over a month of pure dissatisfaction with the 9 different people I dealt with at Square. I finally got things figured out with the help of my bank-not Square. FYI, everyone you talk to at Square "customer service" does not have a supervisor or a boss. Trying to escalate any issues through Square "customer service" is futile.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

I have been having issue on my account on 90 days suspended which I got help from a Square representative and I got my deposit on second day. Here is the line to text for better assistant if you having a suspended issue **. Thanks. I hope he will help you as well.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

I processed payments through Square for almost a year with no refunds or chargebacks... They deactivated my account for no reason. They locked up almost $20,000.00 and was supposed to return it Aug 30 (90 days) which was almost two weeks ago. They still have not released my money.. They will not answer any phone calls or emails .. Beware! They have made me go through a hardship with my family! You have been warned.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

High charges on POS transactions. Services are charges a monthly fee AND per use/transaction fee on top of that. Nickel and Dime charges are out of hand. Moved to my credit union for less than 1/2 of the cost per month. Square started out good but then kept charging more service fees. An Example-loyalty program for clients was free and now it's a charge per client. Not worth it, I can keep track myself. I am in business to make money- not make money for Square. I know they need to charge to stay in business but it has become out of hand. I don't want to pay additional service fees so they can loan money to their other clients. Payroll is extremely high. Nearly $40 a month AND a fee per employee on top of that. Not with it....Sad to see a great company killing their own client base.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

We operate 2 different businesses. Once we opened our second business and spent an excessive amount of time verifying who we are, sending all required documents and additionally even more proof of whom we are, Square decided to suspend and cancel all future transactions while holding the queued transactions to our actual bank account for 90 days. This has caused grief and suffering to the business and its employees. We had to use reserves from our other business to cover the employee expenses and business overhead. Most small business owners cannot do this and it would cause them to dive in a horrible spin out of business. Square allows illegal activity for transactions but not honest, hardworking individuals with the responsibility of the workers and their families. I will NEVER recommend a company like this and will always suggest other platforms (can't here so my review isn't biased)!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

Square offers reasonable rates and is easy to use. Training employees is simple and quick and allows freedom for the owner from having to be at every class. Bank transfers are available within hours of accepting payments for business use.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2021

The customer service is horrible. The answers on the website are very generic and are not helpful. They do not reply to emails. I called many times but customer service is not exciting. I was never able to resolve my issues.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

If I could give -1 star I would. READ THIS. This happened some years ago but still makes my blood boil. I put over 2000 worth of sales through. To absolute completion,..following all and every prompts to final sales completion to next transaction/customer. When I checked the next day...all sales completely gone. Nothing!!! Disappeared into never never land w/ me losing 100% of all those sales. No record in Square of 2000 worth of sales. We all know how horrible their customer service is and how frustrating is that. (Just spent another 3 hours today to finally getting 4 numbers... which each and every one of those numbers...drops each and every call, does not ring...or hangs up on you in 10 minutes. To the tune of 15 calls and still no human being.)

After many hours of trying to get to a supervisor let alone a human being...and explaining my situation...the supervisor said... "Sorry". Trying to force me off the phone and the arrogance and rude thing gave absolutely no solution and again was "Sorry" for my money loss. Offered little to no help or even looked into it deeply to see what happened. Could not answer any questions and pathetic excuses and tried to blame me. But after my persistence...the supervisor said he would give me $2000. Credit on my account. I thought at least I have free square for a couple of years.

Get this... After so much more time to try to talk to a human let alone get back to that supervisor to be accountable (hahahaha not)...he said...it was not 2000 worth of sq fees...it was 2000 worth of sq fees. Say what??!? Yep he duped me so bad. So he offered...the sq fees allocated...on 2000...not a 2000 credit. I am so disgusted. Maybe what $100...not 2000. What a sleazy company. He gave no input as to how it happened (sure tried to put the blame on me though)... No solutions to prevent this in the future...or no protection from them. So I only take ca and debit and as little credit card as I can now. Tried to call them today...it's now over 3 hrs and still no human being. What a disgusting service. Run run run...so many other incidents and flaws in this system. Told many times they hold people's money for months and months and is a fight to get them to send you your money. Run away like I am going to do...

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

Everything in one spot! Easy to see, find, work with… It's all streamlined. Everything is in one app! Love Square processes. While I could get a cheaper rate per transaction, but how much am I really saving? I’m a one man business - not WalMart!

Square Company Information