1.40/5

Need credit card processing?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

192 Square Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

On July 23rd I had a customer’s associate pay an invoice of $10,000.00, the transaction was from American Express to my Square account. Everything had gone as smooth as expected. Transaction made that same day. On Oct. 22nd three months later Square gave me notice that they would be withdrawing $10,000.00 from my bank account for unknown reasons, unknown as to why? An option as to a resolution was presented after that had charged my Square account the $10,000.00 and made a request to my bank for the $10,000.00 also. The representative I spoke with were misleading as to what was occurring and later had to be cleared up by a supervisor. Basically, we are taking $10,000.00 from your account and that’s that.

I contacted my customer and he verified with his associate the associate did not dispute the charge with American Express and the associate further sent me an email stating he did not dispute the charge and that American Express initiated the verification with Square on their own. I provided Square with that documentation and they said they called American Express and the challenge had not been cancelled. I forwarded that information to the associate and he said he called American Express to make sure it was cancelled. The dispute department of Square is very sensitive to you telling them the truth that they do not want to hear. They asked for written information and they will not rely upon it.

I went further and contacted American Express and they wanted to talk to Square and resolve the issue, but Square had rescinded all my phone privileges and we could not get though. Square has cut off all communication except email and 24 hours to 5 days to respond. At this point Square has suspended all recurring billing to all my customers and I must find a new service provider and redo all the clients with recurring monthly invoices. I will state that I have never had an issue with Square prior to this and did not become concerned until I witnessed Square’s reluctance to settle the issue and further their access to my bank account to withdraw funds is unbelievable. Further, I did not really get alarmed until I started reading all the other people that is having virtually the exact circumstance with Square.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

On July 24th I had a customer pay her invoice of $702.04, the transaction was with Square. Everything had gone as smooth as expected. Transaction made that same day. On September 4th, a month and a half later square gave me notice that they would be withdrawing $702.04 from my bank account for unknown reasons, unknown as to why? Not an option as to a resolution, an argument, explanation, nothing! Just were taking $702.04 from your account and that’s that.

What I later found out is that my customer who was elderly, and who had been satisfied with my services and the transaction of paying her bill, was now concerned when she got her Credit Card statement, the $702.04 charge that showed up on her credit card statement was vague in description on what it was and from where, again another Square problem I believe. So being concerned and she honestly didn’t remember the transaction, she argued with the credit card company Chase to refund her the $702.04. After getting notice from Square through my email I traced back and called my customer immediately of what was going on and what to expect. She had apologized and said she would call Chase and have them return the funds ASAP and close out the invoice, and she did.

On September 10th Square sent me an email that they no longer can support processing any future transactions from my company, again no reason to why? Nothing? All I can think of is that the charge looked fraudulent by not using the card swipe attachment, Well Square, don’t sell the idea of being able to process cards if you’re just going to screw your customers out of their funds in the end and not give your customer an opportunity to explain the situation. Or make it policy to always use a card reader. Even though I’ve never had any issues with any fraud. I read Squares terms of the use agreement and I don’t fit any of the services that they list to be a concern.

Now the problem is I have a customer who paid me (Square), and claims that she has called chase and instructed them to credit back the amount owed, Chase claims (I have paper work documentation for this transaction) that they credited the account back on the 7th (I have letter documentation proving this, Chase Ref# ** Chase 1-888-862-3267) as of today Square won’t respond to any emails from me and or phone messages, they stole my customers payment and won't credit my account. This organization is NOT about customer service and they offer no help at all. Stay away from this company. It's not worth the headache!

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

If I can give these piece of ** a 0 star I would. For the past year I have been spreading my invite links all over YouTube, Facebook, Craigslist and elsewhere. I literally woke up to non stop rapid fast rate of notification on my phone of these piece of ** refunding back every one and last of the $5 invited I accumulated over a year span. I was in disbelief of what was going on. All my college friends were shock as we look at all the money I gained was just disappearing in front of our eyes. I will never ever use cash app again for what they have done. They also closed my card. All left for them to do is now closed my account by logging me out. I sent them 3 angry emails and all they done was sent me a generic message about some case I never even wrote them about. Must be their way of just side tracking me by not replying and simply ignoring my messages. It's alright though. I will spread this on every forum until they crumbles.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I really hope this review helps someone who went through the same incident as myself. This review is for people who had three (small or big) cash transactions taken out of their checking accounts. I am not a merchant. I do not have the Square Up app, nor the Square Cash app on my phone. I deal with many merchants that use Square Up. I paid a merchant that uses Square Up. I swiped my card, and signed. The purchase was done on a Saturday. I checked my checking account on Monday and right after that point of sale transaction there were 3 $10 cash debits totaling $30 from Square Cash.

I transferred all of my money out of my checking account into another account. I called my bank, canceled my debit card, & was informed I would be credited back the $30 and any fees occurred from me emptying my account. My bank informed me that due to the small amount there would be no investigation by my bank or Visa. If you are not a merchant there is no telephone number that you can call to contact Square Up or Square Cash. I emailed Square Up informing them of what happened. I received an email informing me to contact Square Cash. I emailed them again informing them I cannot contact anyone in Square Cash because I am not a merchant nor do I have the app. I received the exact same email response but at the bottom of the email it had my first email and a case number. I have received no assistance regarding what happened. This happened over a period of three days.

I contacted the District attorney’s office of where I live, & I was able to speak with the investigator. He informed me because the amount was small my police report might not even be accepted. He did say what occurred to me was identity theft. He told me what I needed to do. All 3 of my credit reports were already locked, and frozen because of what happened with Equifax a few years ago. I contacted TransUnion online and informed them I was a victim of identity theft. This information was documented on my credit report and TransUnion forwarded that information to Experian, and Equifax. I contacted the Fair Trade Commission online and filed a complaint for identity theft. The entire process took approximately 15 minutes. They will ask for your checking account number and routing number.

After what happened I’m a little paranoid so I gave my routing number but not my checking account number. I do believe the more info you give the more they have to go on, but I gave all other information that was requested. You need to give a statement, and you only get a certain amount of letters. I went straight to the point and gave the info that I believed was most important. They ask if you want to set up an account at the end of the process, and I opted to just in case something else happens.

Many merchants still use Square Up, and unfortunately this company is still active. One of the merchants I deal with requires me to use a credit/debit card to reserve an appointment. I’ve done this every time since January 2018, but a few months ago it saved my card info. I honestly can’t remember if it asked me or if it automatically did it. I allowed it, because it was convenient to not have to enter my card info each time. There’s my debit card info sitting available right in Square Up’s system.

After this incident I removed that card (which was already canceled), but the merchant I deal with requires a card to reserve an appointment. I know there are many people out here who do not believe in using credit cards and prefer cash or debit, but the protection we have can be limited. There are many credit cards that have zero fraud liability. So whether the thieves take $5 or $25,000 you are not liable, and it’s not your cash they are stealing. I have opted to using a credit card, especially if it’s a merchant with Square. This time it did ask me if I wanted to save my card on file, I opted not to.

I truly believe if more and more people file reports with the Federal Trade Commission, they eventually have to investigate this company. Hopefully, this will also call attention to how Square is conducting business with the merchants that have entrusted Square with handling their transactions. I know this review was long, but I want to give details that might help someone, or keep someone from having to go through this.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Beware of this company! I have never heard of them yet my account has been almost completely drained by fraudulent withdrawals by this company! I am unable to contact customer support because I don't have a sign in or access code. I never created the account! I am thankful I do not have an account with them because of their lack of security. They compare themselves to Venmo and PayPal, to service that I actually do use and have had no difficulty.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Square?

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

If I would of know that is was a hassle I would have never went with this company. They asked for SSI number then I get my Square set up and I do 2 transactions and end up getting deactivated. Mind you I already sent everything they asked for but they were not quite specific so I sent what I could and thought was the right info and could never speak to anyone about it. Come to find out because a transaction that was $1000 is was suspicious and it was placed on hold and then 4 days later I’m told it’s deactivated. I no longer have access to the customer since they moved and cannot meet the customer to write a check or pay cash so thanks a whole Lot. ** Square. Don’t use this crap whatsoever. Not recommend nor would I give a 1 star review. They get a - -10 star from me.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I’ll keep in mind others use this for research or whatever. I will not give this one star for anything. I’m not happy with their customer support or the way they work their payroll. Everyone at my work got paid but me 5 days ago. Again you don’t deserve one star but I’m required to put at least one so they don’t feel so dumb I guess.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

On Sunday October 7, 2018 I paid my car insurance with my Cash App card online $401 and Direct General has not received my payment at all. Nobody to talk to. Just sending emails that aren’t getting answered. I have never had an issue until Sunday but this is ridiculous and something needs to be done.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Square's cash app has become a haven for scammers to scam money from people and Square is doing nothing about helping innocent victims get their money back. I was personally scammed out of sending money to someone using the app that I thought was a reputable seller but later found out after about 20-30 people posting about this person scamming them as well that it was a scam. I reported this to support immediately and I know many others did as well that they had sent money to this same individual. It has been a month without any assistance and I just received the following response below. They expect me to bother law enforcement over a transaction under $20? What a waste of law enforcement resources when they know this user scammed multiple people. They do not post anywhere that there is no buyer protection when sending money using the app.

Square used to be reputable company but I can guarantee people will stop seeing Square as a reputable way to send or receive payments if they allow the scammers to take over and start scamming people. This is the email I received from square support: "Please contact your local law enforcement and provide the details you know of the transaction to them. If you report the matter, Cash App would cooperate in their investigation. You can also share the following contact information below with law enforcement: lawenforcement@squareup.com."

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I transferred 150.00 to my cash app on Saturday, it should have taken 24 hours or less to get the funds. As on this morning Monday 10/08 I still have nothing & to top it all off speaking to someone is impossible. Had I known Customer Service was not an option I NEVER would have started using the Cash App.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

On October 6, 2018, I completed a request for payment in the amount of $25 via Cash App. The funds were taken from my account and sent to a card not listed on my recipient's account. My recipient double checked their settings and card balance to find out where the funds were deposited however did not see anything. Although My recipient was not able to access the payment, they were able to refund the payment with an option on the app. I, on the other hand, was not able to see any record of a refund on my Cash App account or on my card balance. We tried finding a contact number to speak with someone in support, but it was found that they do not provide phone support. I followed their instructions and sent an email. I am currently waiting for a response from support.

I am very frustrated that they do not have any kind of customer phone support and an effective tracking system for the disbursement and refund of money. If their app is incapable of handling something as simple as that I do not think it's an app that should be available for the general public or available on Google Play or Apple Store. Cash App is a faulty app and provides no customer support to help with its many issues. I do not recommend using it!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Quite simple, last Friday I sent $670 to my mom... but she changed her phone number, and thus I canceled the transfer immediately (account now linked via other phone number). The Cash App, reflects this cancellation, yet I still HAVE NOT received the funds back in my account (it's been 5 days). I still have an authorization for $670 and that money cannot be used until the authorization is released. I spoke to Bank of America, and they said they are waiting for info from Square Cash. Today is 10/3/18 - my name is Lionel ** - I'm asking Square Cash to stop holding my money hostage... it's bad enough that you charge fees for transfers... use Zelle people, avoid the THIEVES!!!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

My daughter sent me 200.00 on Sept 23rd, Cash App withdrew the money from her account but did not deposit it into mine. We waited 8 days. After that my daughter and I tried to contact Cash App, and were shocked to find that this company Square Cash, who operates the Cash App does not have a phone number available to contact Cash App. They will only give a contact number if you sign up for Square Cash and get a code, but even then you can't get help. I have emailed them several times on their Support email and as you can guess, they responded with "We have received your email and will get back to you shortly."

They have not contacted us. This company needs to be reported to the BBB and I am ready to do that. Companies like this who steal your money and won't give a phone number so their customers can get help need to be shut down. My daughter, who is a single mom pays her rent through Cash App and now she is out $200.00 and doesn't have enough money to pay that portion of her rent (she rents from us) again and buy food for her year old son who is a cancer survivor. Shame on them.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I do not have an account with, nor have I used Square. While balancing my checkbook I noticed three transactions from Square cash. I immediately canceled my card. I then spent two hours attempting to contact Square to investigate the fraudulent charges. They are next to impossible to reach over the phone without registering and receiving a code from them. After researching the company, I found out that they allow an individual to manually enter credit card information without having the physical card. That screams of stupidity and invites fraud. Something should be done to close these bottom feeders company.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

DO NOT USE THIS APP! I have contacted these people 8 times & I have not received a response. They do not have a phone number for customer service. Only an email they hide behind & will never reply. They are holding a rightfully owed refund & when I contacted them all of a sudden my account went -$7.79 on 9-28-18. I wake up on 9-29-18 & it’s negative -$12.00. I did NOT make any charges & there is nothing in my activity stating where these charges are coming from.

CASH APP is all over the internet with several complaints. They’re ripping people off & why? Instead of giving my refund that was clearly provided by the merchant I paid & responding to the complaints & inquiries I’ve made to them they’ve insulted me by putting my account in the negative for unknown & unexplained reasons. Federal states that when charging consumers any finance company or company such as CASH APP has to state & show where charges are coming from & why. I will not let them get away with this. There are over 140 people complaining on Consumer Affairs alone & I am contacting every person for a class action lawsuit. I’m also filing a complaint with the SEC.

(Original Complaint) My cashtag is **. I’m inquiring about a $130 refund from *Becollgewi that was given to me for my son's SAT Bootcamp. I have contacted your company by email 8 times & I have not received a response. I need to know why you are holding & keeping my refund. I need it released immediately. There is no legal nor reasonable reason on earth why you should be holding a refund given to me by the company I paid. Your inexcusable action is causing me a great disservice. I am in process of contacting every legal agency to file complaints.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

Be careful and stay away from that company!!! They deactivated our account without any notice and the reason is: "business is prohibited by the Merchant User Agreement". So what happens after 2 years that you need to shut down our payments immediately? And even the phone support you shut down for us! Shame on you. Next time give your customers more time to find another better provider!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

On September 10, 2018 I Google to find a phone number for cash app to ask why my card wasn't working. Long story short the phone number was a scam although they send a code to verify your account on cash app. Well the person on the other end was rude. Thirty minutes later I checked my balance on cash app and it was zero dollars. I immediately contacted support through the app and explained what happened. They responded that they don't have a phone number and only correspond with customers through their app.

Later I sent them all the text messages of ending card numbers that didn't belong to me. Cash app sent me another email stating after their investigation they found my account to have been compromised and would issue a refund. Several different agents kept sending me emails and I gave them the information they requested. They asked me to change my cash tag name but the app stated I had tried too many times but I personally have never tried to change my name. After not getting a response in five days, I contacted Cash app through Twitter direct message only to receive a general form response.

Then Cash app sent me an email that they had deactivated my account and would disassociate my phone number to the account and I could no longer use cash app because of their terms/conditions and couldn't explain their decision. So they stole my money and there seems to be nothing the victimized consumer can do. This company seems like a scam when it comes to having your account compromised. A class action lawsuit needs to start immediately. How is it legal to be in a banking or funds transfer business with the practices they use and no phone number to call?

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I contacted them by email, by phone, as a business owner who gave them $$$. Receiving this message, but never a follow up: "Thanks a lot for sending us a message. A team member will reply to you within 1 to 3 business days." Go with PayPal, these guys NEVER answer phone, email, chat. You are on your own if anything goes bad! Don't use them.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

This is one of the worst business I have ever come across. I made a purchase online using this and unfortunately it turned out to be a theiving scam artist. I contacted my bank, they gave my money back temporarily while they did their investigation. A couple of days later, the money was taken back. I called my bank to find out why and they said cash app had stated the transaction already occurred and nothing can be done. I looked for their number and nothing. I emailed support and instead of asking for information they advise me on how to make another account. As if I'll ever use them again.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

After dealing with Square for about a year we never had any issues processing payments or receiving deposits. Over the last month or two we noticed our account was being put in review almost every time an instant deposit was tried. Those few times it quickly fixed itself. Than randomly one day we receive an email. Stated our information could have been compromised along with others so our account would not be accessible and deposits would be held off until this was fixed. We waited 3 days or so and were able to get back into our account.

We received multiple emails over the week's course giving us a deposit date and funds were never received. Then randomly this past Tuesday we received an email stating that our account was being deactivated for violating the general terms agreement by creating another location on our account without submitting proper documents prior. The email also stated we would be receiving a list of our transactions and deposits over the time we used them and those would be sent within 5-7 business days. They also stated we would be receiving our funds by 8 AM today and the funds are still not there. We have not heard anything since and of course can’t get through to customer support because our account is deactivated and we can’t access our customer code.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

A few days ago I called this number that said it was Square Cash but it was a scam and I didn't know. I had this issue with a refund that I still didn't get. They told me to buy a Google play card so they can input the codes in. I lost like almost 125$ plus no refund. I do not recommend anyone to Square. I emailed them and they're telling me that they already refunded my money. These people need to be reported for scamming people.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I am going on the news tomorrow to do interview about Cash App scam and customer service. And not having a phone number. That's how people are getting scammed. I had 2900 dollars stolen. Watch the video I made on YouTube. Just so you know if you use Cash App, have a problem, do not call a 1-800 number. They do not have a phone number. I was scammed out of $2900 bucks. Going on the news tomorrow in Miami. You would think such a big company that deals in banking would have a phone number. No responses to any emails. A class action lawsuit is needed. Found 100's of people with same problem. I have documented sending 5 emails a day. Even the guy I called at Square said it's a big problem they have and it blows his mind how it's handled. Working on getting it to ABC world news with this news team. Email ** with your story so I can show them.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

Same as everyone else. Been using them for years and currently am unable to access funds from a $29000 charge. Now client is not receiving their refund either. Impossible to talk to anyone, online help is obviously automated and of no help. This is crippling for a small business. Contacted FTC (please do the same, they respond quickly and the more complaints the better). Do not recommend using Square ever again.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Started with Square when I needed a new in person card reader solution for my business. SQUARE STOLE ALL MY MONEY! Every single transaction was put on a 90 day hold while $840 in merchandise is out of my hands. NO CUSTOMER SERVICE TO TALK TO. Not one response from the company via ANY form of communication other than a BBB complaint where they said something along the lines of “We have the right to hold money for this long. Please see our policies.” Square then deactivated my account so I really had ZERO means to contact them. On day 90 they said we will be holding your money for 120 days. On day 120 they claimed EMV fraud on ALL MY LEGITIMATE TRANSACTIONS.

I have had an EMV chip reader for 4 years! Square gave me NO OPPORTUNITY ago dispute this claim; NO real proof that a chargeback ever happened; NO way to contact them; AND EVEN HAD TO AUDACITY TO WITHDRAW MONEY FROM MY BANK ACCOUNT FOR SUPPOSED RELATED FEES. They will not respond to my numerous BBB complaints and it seems they are simply going to get away with stealing $1000+ from yet another small business owner. Please everyone consider using anything other than Square up. Hopeful that I will eventually be able to join in a class action lawsuit of some type in order to shine a light on Square’s criminal activity. These guys are CROOKS!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

Recently I was scammed by fake Square cash customer service representatives. Basically I was trying to solve a refund issue so I called the “customer service” line and long story short they scammed me into purchasing Google play cards that totaled up to 870 dollars. These scammers robbed me of my money. This would not have happened if There was better more reliable customer service. I will never be using Square cash after I resolve this dispute.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

Re: CASH app. Sent payment to someone using a previously used Cashtag. Money was not received by the intended person, but was collected by someone using that Cashtag and a different first name. When I called Cash support, was met with the most rude person I have ever encountered in my life. Wanted my personal info, and when I asked why, he would not explain. I asked to speak to his manager and his response was "MY MANAGER IS A VERY BUSY MAN"! I could not believe it. I asked for his name. His response? "WHAT IF I DON'T WANT TO TELL YOU?" Speechless on my end. Then he said that his name was "JAMES BOND".

So far I have been unable to speak to anyone. I have to assume that this app is operating fraudulently. They are dealing with money and banks. This behavior is reprehensible, and is absolutely unacceptable. I am stating the obvious here. Have tried all avenues to reach them and Square, but to no avail. Reporting them to the government for fraud.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

This is unfortunate. This company is big, they are interested in themselves and are not interested in anyones well being but their own. Hold times to get help making their product work are severe. When their product fails to work and costs you money they shrug their shoulders and recite their limited responsibility. Ask the representative for their email in order to correspond and avoid outrageous hold times they say no. Ask for a call back when the rep does research to figure out what happened to the money from your transactions, they say no. Call them on the phone with a member of your staff to troubleshoot an issue, they say they will not speak to more than one person on the phone at once.

They do however want to loan you money at an outrageous interest rate and take the interest out of your credit card transactions automatically just like the other predatory lenders. We have not fallen into that silly trap but they do try to get you roped in to destructive debt. This industry does not attract decent people, however there are better companies. So very disappointing.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

It seems I had a cash sale of $411,164.74 which never happened but Square insists it's not a big deal as they "do not report to the IRS." My concern is that it's on my account and it's an error of Square which should be removed!! But Square cannot remove it?? Unacceptable! No one at Square is concerned that this happened. I'd like to know how something like this does happen? And in 2017 six valid sales vanished from my days transactions. They could not retrieve the transactions at all. And now with this "cash sale" they can see that it was made from my iPhone?? Square is not to be trusted. Closing account very concerned with their practices!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

Square not only deactivated my account quoting the same two sections as they do with the rest of these complaint but they also have stolen my money. This is fraudulent. This is serious business. They were working for us, we were paying to be our processor. They got greedy and decided to keep our money. I don’t know how many businesses have been able to re-coup their money. But the longer they hold on to our money the more interest they are collecting. ILLEGAL. I am appalled how many business they have defrauded. We need to stop being victims and rally together. I urge everyone to contact the Federal Trade Commission, contact Jack Dorsey the CEO of Square and even Jim Cramer with Mad Money. Their email address are easy to find on Google. I’m sure Mr Dorsey would not be pleased if all of us filed a Class Action Suit against his company. We want OUR money back- NOW!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I am a consultant with a membership base. Square took my business and then suddenly discontinued me without warning. It's not hard to say that they don't take membership services upfront. So, now I have 80+ clients paying their dues on a recurring basis and suddenly Square leaves a scary message, won't take my calls and I have to scramble to migrate them to another payment service. I haven't broken any laws. All my clients voluntarily signed up for my service. I'm infuriated. I feel like a criminal.

Square Company Information