1.38/5
Based on 116 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need credit card processing?

116 Square Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I have been with Square for many years and my business charge sales are high. If you use them or use the Square store they give you NO protection from chargebacks. They just ripped me off for $1100. They do not verify shipping addresses and will give you no help for a chargeback. The customer service is very rude and will do nothing to help you fight the chargeback. Do not use Square!!!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

First I'll state that I overlooked that they don't allow direct marketing companies. Our company/compensation plan is fully backed by a law firm and compliant with the FTC. So, we broke their policy in this area and apparently they get to hold $24,000 for 90 days. Because our account processing was deactivated that makes us no longer a customer and we are unable to reach someone by phone, even though they hold over $24,000 of our money. This company is the essence of garbage... I would steer clear of this company entirely out of principle of not supporting crappy companies.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

We signed up for Square about 4 years ago and processed a few transactions per year. We changed our email address and no longer use the one they had on file. We took a credit card payment on 2/8/18 and discovered today 2/14/18 that they are "holding" our payment for a "verification form". When I managed to contact them I was informed that our account was "suspended" until they received a completed verification form. We had no knowledge of this new requirement as we did not get the email requesting it. When I pressed about the form and what information was needed, I was told there is a "government form" they require, plus some info about our business and three months bank statements. First of all, I don't give anyone my bank statements. They are not loaning us money or prepaying us for pending payments, so we feel it is none of their business what our bank statements say.

When we tried to find out what their reasons were for requesting these, we were told that they wanted to see our business trends. Again, none of their business. We were told without the forms that they would not send us our money. So we requested a refund to our customer which is going to take another 2-7 days before it will show up on their end. So basically, Square has had our money a week and it could be another week before the customer gets their refund and Square is using that money free of charge. We have cancelled our account with them and will never use them again. Customers beware of signing up with them unless you want to release unnecessary personal information to them for use. They will let you sign up and use them a few times and then out of nowhere they will shut you down and tie up your money and your customer's money. If I could rate them as minus 5 stars, I would.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

They canceled a transaction, and their system says it was refunded to my bank, but my account was never credited. I have no way to contact them except through the support link, which they do not respond to. There is no customer service. All I want is my money, so I can pay my rent.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

I own and operate a multi level Media Corporation and used Square a few times then they "Deactivated" my account for absolutely NO REASON! Then when I look for a customer service # on the site... there isn't one! So I Googled it and when I called got a recorded message that said I need a "CODE" to talk with someone and to go back to their website to get a "CODE". So when I did, an error code pops up that says, "Your account is not eligible for a contact code!" So in other words they simply don't want to talk! This is frustrating as I didn't discover this until I went to bill a customer for shipping costs of an item. There isn't room in this market for a credit card processor that embarrasses its customers! This is simply a sad company with poor business morals and practices.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Square?

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

In November 2017 I opened a Square, Inc. card processing account for my business. Everything went fine setting up the account then on November 7, 2017 I got a e-mailed message from Square, Inc. "Your processing account was deactivated and your funds are on hold until February 5, 2018." Well, February 6, 2018 Square, Inc. did not send my money. They did a 01. deposit transfer in and out my linked bank account -- still holding the funds.

I contacted the BBB the same folks that gave Square, Inc. a A+ rating yet this business has hundreds of complaints -- concerning this same issue. Square, Inc. will steal your money. You will get a 90 day funds hold notice. But, 90 days will pass you will not get your money. NEVER. You are just paying Jack Dorsey, to process card payments to keep Square, Inc. open. I lost $1,129.35. WARNING: "You will lose all your card payments dealing with this company." And I said that Jack Dorsey you are a crook. Prove me wrong. Don't deal with these crooks. You will have your money taken. Get a real card processing account.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

I was with Square for only a day and after making 5 sales = $3,000 Square deactivated my account for no reason! I've sent numerous emails and have not heard anything from anyone for almost a week! After reading 100s of reviews with consumers experiencing the same problem it is time for a class action lawsuit!!!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

HORRIBLE! Good luck trying to talk to someone over the phone. Absolutely a nightmare! After a few uses (all within two days) they deactivated my account and are STILL holding almost $1k of my money!!! I also NEVER received the card reader in the mail and in order to speak to someone over the phone you MUST request a "code" from your account, but I can't since they deactivated my account with absolutely NO reason why nor was I informed in advance. I have only been with them for less than a month and would tell everyone else to RUN!!! I am also still waiting for them to reply to my numerous emails! If you're selling things, try Amazon Pay, but if you're using it as a payment company, I have no recommendations.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I got an email from square stating: "We're sorry to inform you that we are deactivating your account. We reviewed your account and found a persistent pattern of transactions generally associated with high-risk activity. We regret that, starting today, you will no longer be able to process transactions using Square." I totally ignored it. It came from a funny email address. I have never had fraudulent activities in the 6+ years that I have been with them. I own the chip reader & never had a complaint from a customer about a charge. I thought to myself Square would never just close down an account without prior warning. They know we use these systems to run our businesses.

Well I was wrong. A client contacted me stating she couldn't get past the CC section on my website. Not only did they shut down my account but I can't contact them by phone only by email. I am beyond pissed, I couldn't make sales all day. I've been sending clients PayPal invoices in order to not be shut down. I have to reconfigure my entire register to another service.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018 In December 2015. We decided to use SQUARE for our card PROCESSING for our trucking company. After 1 week I was contacted by SQUARE claiming that I had a charge back on my account (Customer claimed unknown charge) and SQUARE deactivated our account... And held my MONEY... supposed 90 days.

Being a small COMPANY this hurt my business and me and my family (we had to STAY on the road over the holidays).

I contacted my customer that SQUARE claimed the chargeback for...just happened to be my brother in law. There was not ever a chargeback. In fact we together attended his card issue bank and spoke with 3 different people there. THE last time was just in November 2017. We have gone over each and every transaction FROM Dec 18 2015, to November 2017. THE charges were PROCESSED and paid to SQUARE. THE money was not ever returned to my customer. TO date NOW being 2018. I still have NOT. Received this MONEY or the other MONEY that was in my SQUARE ACCOUNT. $3527.60 is owed to me. When SQUARE deactivated my account. This cuts off ALMOST all ways to contact SQUARE except email.

I have been contacting SQUARE almost daily requesting my MONEY. In July 2017, Square AGREED to send my MONEY through a WIRE TRANSFER. and asked me to supply my bank information (I done as asked). 3 days later I was contacted by SQUARE saying they were sending me a paper check. Approx 1 week later again SQUARE asks for my bank information to send a WIRE TRANSFER. Since July 2017 this has been back and forth.

Then in December 2017 Square sent me an email. Stating that a WIRE TRANSFER was sent to my bank (they included a number to trace the transfer). I contacted my bank many times. And 5 times I had my bank try to trace the supposed TRANSFER (at a cost of $25 each time to me). The result each time was the same TRANSFER NOT COMPLETED. I have been contacting Square daily requesting my money. And keep getting the same reply or no reply. I have even sent messages to the board of directors and nothing. I have spoken with lawyers in about 8 other states. 3 of the lawyers want to start a class-action suit against them. Are willing to work pro-bono. Anyone wishing to join please reply to ** and the lawyers will contact you.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

I have short rental on Booking.com, and I use Square to charge guests credit card. I’ve only use Square for 6 months. I had three disputes. Total amount of around $2300 have been withdrawal by Square. As guest claimed it’s unknown charge. And first dispute was directly debited from my account without any notice. (I noticed until the second dispute happened.) Which means guests stayed at my place for free. All the time, effort and money that I invest in my business are totally wasted. Second and thirdly one happened with the same situation. I‘ve been contacted with Square, but they was not helpful at all, I feels like I have been robbed brutally. The way they deal with the case is very passive. It feels like if the guest’s bank would like to charge the money for any ridiculous reason, they would support it. If you don’t want to be robbed please don’t choose Square. If you did, then It would be beginning of troublesome and annoying.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I have been receiving notices from Square Australia seeking recovery of $ 599.00 in funds for a disputed, transaction done a month early. They took back my money immediately like a owner without my approval. Imagine every one can claim for stupid reason the money back, so you don't own the money earn, still waiting after 80 days to get my money back.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

Customer purchased/paid for my product back in October 2013. Their overseas bank is now requesting a reimbursement (Jan 2018). I even called the customer and they replied they never spoke with their bank and they don't know this was going on. Rogue bank in my opinion. I supplied Square evidence of the product purchased and the delivery notice from UPS. Square took one day after I sent in details and is attempting to pull funds. Square did not even have the decency to call or email me with their investigation findings. They state in their information that they will investigate. So, with that said, this is unsatisfactory for a credit card company to side with an overseas bank to pull a reimbursement of over $1,900.00 for a custom product that was sold and delivered. Worse, they don't even provide a reason nor back up their loyal customer. DON'T USE SQUARE! They won't be your back! Instead, they will stick it to you in your back!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

So I took a payment just fine. I was awaiting the deposit and it never came. Received an email that my deposits were suspended. Had to issue an refund. Luckily the customer understood and was willing to pay in cash as an alternate form of payment. So I jumped through all their hoops, provided all the requested documentation, etc. Received an email. All was back to normal. Took another payment today and now my account is deactivated. (A $3200 payment to boot), now I have to wait at least 90 days for it to be released!! This is BS.

Of course I got this notification at freaking midnight so I couldn't call my customer and their customer service is useless if your account is deactivated. There "no support" for deactivated accounts. SO now I am out $3200. I have no way to pay for the supplies that I need to complete the transaction. Any suggestions? I am praying that when I contact my customer and I explain the situation (I have already issued refund via his card) that he can pay for the goods in alternate manner. Still hoping for advice.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

I have a chargeback, not valid, in addition another deposit that Square decided to hold for a minimum of 90 days. They informed me through email, that the funds were going to be held. Told me to send them (Square), which bounced back from a no reply email. This company is unethical, and can't be trusted. I wonder how they have an A rating on BBB?? BBB might be another entity in collusion (taking money) to show a favorable rating? Deal with Square and you will find out soon enough, they are a Scam and can't be trusted. They are holding $1291.00 of mine, until who knows when. What is my recourse? File suit, any suggestion?

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

The absolute worst experience ever, these people have ice in their veins. Shut us down in the middle of a Saturday for reasons that make zero sense. No notice, an email in the middle of the day saying, "You're done."

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

I do not recommend the service to anyone especially if you need access to funds right away or a drop shipper. After taking three payments successfully Square Up decides to deactivate my account and hold funds for ninety days just before they were to be deposited into my account. I had to refund each of my three sales and further deactivate my account because of an action I find unethical and damaging to my business.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

I have been taking point of sale payments for about 2 months and everything was going fine until I got a new android phone, and the Square app became restricted and would not allow me to make any changes in the settings, so I tried getting help from customer support. I had an event and took in $500 of point of sale payments even though the Square app said I had restricted privileges, and I continued taking payments as usual on this Saturday because there is no Square support available on weekends.

ON Monday I began trying to contact Square and going through all the usual complicated methods of obtaining a customer number. We had a couple conversations with customer support and they literally could not find out account and claimed we were not customers. My husband got extremely frustrated and had a hard time expressing himself because English is not his first language.

At this point I think the customer support person decided to completely cut us off and have now disabled our Square login completely so we have no access whatsoever to our point of sale records, sales, or ability to take payments. We have an event today and are going to use PayPal, but we will have to go to small claims court and obtain an attorney to get our $500 of sales we made last Saturday. This is unbelievable and they literally stole our $500 and are claiming it is not our account. I am trying 1 last effort at reaching a supervisor at their company, and after that we are going to the authorities to report the theft.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

A woman I help get her Square set up so that I could send her payments who other than does work for me I have no connection. No shared anything. They accused her of being out of compliance for section 35 of their payment terms...all lies. Sad.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

My husband opened an account with them. There was a dispute, it was in his favor. They are holding 2,500 dollars of his money. I will do everything in my power to crush their little scam business. I will go to every site NBC 5 and ruin them. Some people you do not mess with and think you're going to get away with it. BEWARE. They are a bunch of crooks! I have contacted nbc 5 and they have responded. And you can do the same.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

We are small business. We signed up for Square. ALL of our customers allowed us to charge their credit card. No problems nor complaints from our clients!! Square HAS KEPT THEIR MONEY on hold all of a sudden, cancelled our account. They have not refunded the customer their money and have not explained why the account is cancelled. More importantly they have kept our clients' money!!! Our situation is the same as Gary from GA who posted Dec 15th 2017. Does Square think that because we are a small business we are helpless? Our clients think that they have paid us, their credit cards have been charges, they are paying interest, the only entity that has money is Square, not the client. Not us. Square makes itself unavailable for contact once they have closed the account. It is impossible to speak to a real person to find out what is going on. This is illegal.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

Used them as my credit card processor, had no problems with them. For a few years things went well, although I use them sparingly. The last transaction a fairly large one for me, they are holding my money, my client has no problems with transaction going through. I am small and I need my money to pay suppliers, they are getting me in a bind. No way to call them. Email is very slow to no response. Use caution with Square.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

I have been working with customer service for a week or so. My device worked with the card reader for months. Now it isn't. First they tell me my device is compatible then they tell me it isn't. I'm supposed to go buy a new device that works with the reader. Sorry, nope. They changed something that made my stuff stop working so now I'm going to switch to another provider. Was great while it lasted.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

We were looking for a simple way of processing our credit card charges and someone mentioned Square had a very easy to use desktop application that worked well for "card not present" type charges. It is an easy to use format, unfortunately, it's what happens next that is really just beyond belief. My company has been in business for over 35 years and sells nearly exclusively to the wholesale trade. Our customers are known to us, so it is extremely rare for us to have a chargeback or any issues at all with the charges we process.

For some reason when we began using Square it was only about a week before they put our account on hold and requested a bunch of additional info. They say that there were "security related issues" that required the additional info they requested (3 months bank statements, government ID, copies of invoices, a description of our product and info about our presence on the web, etc.) so we sent the info and waited, seeing them process over $65,000 of our charges without depositing any of this money into our bank account.

When I found out they were holding up this money it was a Saturday morning, but Square's customer service department is closed on weekends so it was another three days before I was finally able to get through to ask what was going on, and even then there was nothing concrete they could tell me about why our money was being held up. We provided the documents they requested and finally about 10 days after the hold began our funds were again being deposited. Things ran fairly smoothly for the following week and then we received the same notice we had received earlier and once again our charges were being processed (withdrawn from customers bank accounts) but not deposited in our account. Once again a vague "security issue" was the alleged reason for the hold and once again the very same list of documents (bank statements, etc.) were requested.

When I was finally able to reach a real person at Square they had been holding our money for 10 days and the total this time was over $75,000. I told them it was incompetent of them to keep requesting the same documents we had already provided but the CS person said a "different group" was reviewing our account this time. This is nothing more than Square's attempt to make a little more money off the float sited into our bank account. We have had no security issues, no chargebacks, no complaints from customers, it is all just a made up fabrication by Square. We have filed complaints with multiple different government agencies at this point but while we wait for one of them to act and get these scamsters shut down, let me tell you this is not a place you want to go.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I sent $$ to my son, but I used an old number. Someone new has that number now and they happily claimed my cash without any trouble. Customer service recommends that I ask the lucky recipient to please give it back. Beware! A wrong number could cost you, and Square Cash will take no action to help!

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

My daughter and I just started using cash (Square). We have sent each other money a few times. However, this time $400 was sent to me and it says that I need to verify information to receive my money. I put ALL my information in (name, full social, date of birth) and then it says they need a picture of my driver's license to move forward. With hesitation and frustration, I attempted to scan my driver's license. I allowed it to take a picture of the front of my DL then it says to scan the back.

Well, I attempted to do this for about 45 mins and it wouldn't take the picture. It keeps freezing. I emailed support several times, no response. I attempted to call but if you dont have code it doesnt let you speak to anyone. I searched online how to get the code and it just took me in circles. The only thing you can do is email. So I tell the sender (my daughter) to just cancel. It says she cant cancel or it will take several days for sender to get their money back. This is horrible. I will never use this app again and will make sure I let everyone know about my experience.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

Like almost everything, they started very well... now it's a very bad company. I have an animal rental company for parties. One of my clients, after I made the event, reported that he had not done the event. We provide all the documents that certified the realization of the party. Square, withdrew the funds from my business account and informed me that they were in hold (the funds were withdrawn). After two months I was informed that the customer's bank had given the reason to his client and therefore my company lost the complaint. They're really nothing professional. I will cancel the account.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I've had a Square reader for many, many years... Since they first came out, I'd imagine. I don't have access to the e-mail address they have on file as I don't use it too often and have never had trouble with anything. I realized a few days ago that I haven't received my deposits for some transactions in September, so I logged into the actual website versus the mobile app. They said my account wasn't verified (been using it for at least 6 years) and it tried to get me to link a debit card. I had no problem doing this, but when doing so, it said I would receive an e-mail link to verify. I had an old Excite e-mail that I started in 1996 and no longer had access to, so there was no way to verify.

I tried to update to my current e-mail address that I've had for several years, but it would not allow me without verification of my old one via a link. There was no option to verify by mobile number (secure code) which is on file or by any other means. I tried to contact them, but it said my account wasn't able to use their phone service and I should e-mail. I googled the number and called, but I was not able to speak to anyone without having a predetermined code. As a last resort, I filled out the form and stated I did not have access to the email on file and asked if they could call me at the mobile number on file instead. I listed it again in case they were not able to view. This was nearly a week ago and I've heard nothing. They still show my balance and they're holding it. I have absolutely no way to get it out via bank transfer, check, etc. I have no idea what to do and they won't respond!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

I had Square for a few years now. I never had a problem with them. I randomly received a email saying my account has been deactivated because of I'm a high-risk and any funds in my account will be held for 90 days or longer. What's crazy is I hardly use Square and only use it's twice in November. Luckily I didn't have any money being process at the time. Customer service is no help. They just make you really run in circles.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

I sell an innocuous health supplement - just ONE - I am a nascent company and unfortunately placed my trust in Square payments as an option to PayPal so my customers could pay smoothly online with credit cards. Out of the blue, Square deactivated my account - for no reason - and even worse, there was NO WAY to contact them except via email and expect a response back in "1 to 3 days." They insist on a "customer code" that you must get from the website in order to have what seems to be a privilege to talk to them on the phone. But because my account was "permanently deactivated", I was not even eligible for a code, and so shoved to the email only contact category. WOW. Talk about being screwed, and with my business and money.

This is UNACCEPTABLE. I will be writing everywhere how horrible this company is. They are based in San Fransisco, CA - I am wondering if their targeting me for deactivation is POLITICAL. I am very suspicious of the way they are running this company. I feel there is corruption behind them. You just don't treat people like this. They either need to change drastically or be shut down. Seems they're getting too big and arrogant for their own good.

Square Company Information