1.30/5

Need credit card processing?

145 Square Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 2, 2018

It has been a nightmare trying to get an invoice paid to one of your merchants. I have tried 5 times with my Amex. I have spoken to 5 different Amex reps who assure me they've approved the charge. Square was holding the 2nd charge the entire weekend only to cancel it Monday. I tried again, and the same thing happens. Amex said again it went through. They actually waited on the line to make sure they approve it real-time. I know it didn’t go through because I typically receive an email with receipt from Square immediately.

Original review: June 25, 2018

I've had cash app close to 2 years, no issues til 6/15/18. Made purchase online and merchant rejected. They don't take prepaid debit. The funds still came out of my cash app card. Merchant refunded money some day and emailed me transaction slip. Called number on card of had to email. There other bogus numbers online too... including Square support. I got cursed out for acting for MY money... Then told I had to pay additional 100.00 and they will then refund all my money plus inconvenience so they pay 250.00... Then more lies. Their posting system was down but they want me to send them more money. Only 2 more lies left now...

I had I duplicate which I don't was still using some card throughout for work. And now lastly now it started 6/15/18... Today is 6/25/18. After me calling number on card, bogus number from online, emailing cash app support and Square support. I got email from Celeste from Square 6/19/18. My money will be on card in 24-48 hrs. **... Then email from Square on 6/23/18. This a cash app issue. They will contact soon.

Now today 6/25/18 email from cash app... "We have not heard from you in 2 week, we have closed our case. If further info submit another case." ** joke. Now when I put in new case same 2 week bs is emailed back. I've been lied to the entire time with cash app and 6/15/18-6/25/18... Is not 2 weeks business days are calendar days. Cash app is really a scam for better work. I hope cash app account are sucked dry with all the money they have going to everyone that has a cash app acct. I hope that happens in 24-48 hrs.

Original review: June 21, 2018

Recently, someone I did not know accidentally sent me money through the Square Cash App. They immediately sent a charge request to me for the same amount, which is a common occurrence on money transfer apps. Just to protect myself, I waited until the money they accidentally sent to me posted to my bank account. Once the money posted, I fulfilled the user's charge request. Should be all good, right?

Let the nightmare begin. The next morning, I received an e-mail saying the mistaken payment made to me was being refunded. This means that I both sent the user a payment AND they were getting a refund of the money they originally sent me. This violate Square's own policy, which states that Cash App transactions are final and cannot be reversed once they are deposited into the recipient's account. I got double charged, and the second charge was entirely without my consent or authorization, for hundreds of dollars.

I spent days e-mailing Square, and finally got their attention when I created an extensive document showing how everything happened, and proving that they violated their own policies and possibly the law. Once I threatened to contact law enforcement, someone finally got back to me that could actually do something. In the end, the situation actually was resolved by Square. However, I worked on the issue all day for three business days, and that is time I will never be reimbursed for. I was also extremely stressed and paranoid about my bank information being on file with Square, and canceled my debit card. All because of Square's own mistake. I do not recommend using the Cash App with direct transfer to your bank account, if you use it at all. I am swearing off money transfer apps for good after my experience.

Original review: May 30, 2018

What a mess. Had a sales exhibition on May 18th in Los Angeles, with over customers attending at a five star hotel in the city. We did a tremendous volume of credit card and check sales. Every card was present on site, and personally signed for by the customers collecting their items. No chargebacks, no returns, no refunds. Square is holding $61K of my money, refusing to provide a name for a POC that I can communicate with, and unwilling to explain the reason as to why my money is held. This is an absolute joke. I have vendors that need to be reimbursed and other expenses that need to be addressed with these funds.

Square is non-responsive to my more than 10 emails on the topic, and when they do reply, it’s a generic answer that does not address any of my questions or concerns. This company is blatantly discriminating since nobody has the courtesy or decency to answer my messages. Square de-activated my account, without a warning, and without a justification. I provided samples of all receipts, transaction documents, photos of the items purchased, phone numbers for each customer so Square could verify the authenticity of each transaction, and photos of the event location. Have you ever heard of a company that refuses to provide any semblance of honest customer service? If you want that experience, use Square. Otherwise, stay far far away.

Original review: May 23, 2018

They withhold 9k with no reason. I can't provide the services to my client who is going to sue me. Please help!! It is a huge amount and I may lose my business. Is there any lawyer that could help me to sue them for everything they have before I lose everything I have. IF THERE IS SOMEONE THAT HAS PROCEED WITH LAWSUIT PLEASE SEND ME AN EMAIL.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Square?

Original review: May 17, 2018

Please do not get them if you do not want a very unnecessary heartache as a merchant. Everyone is under suspicion if the amount of your entry does not reflect your usual deposits. I have been processing with Square for almost 3 years and receiving phone orders from the customer in question for over two years. All of a sudden my whole deposit was held and a verification letter had to be submitted. There was no phone call made to me as a courtesy like my bank would have done to resolve the suspicion immediately. They held the $1775 in question along with the other 2 deposits not in question for that day telling me that my account was up for review like I had stolen a credit card. And the form required was very invasive questioning me as to how I knew the Client etc. What does that have to do with the legitimacy of the purchase.

Square could have called the client to just verify that the funds were approved if that was an issue. I had to find out that the funds were held via going to my bank and seeing them missing. They could have called the customer to verify that the online purchase was made and was legit. Now I have to wait 2 more business days for a review while they hold the funds unnecessarily. Very poor merchant services and I will cancel my whole account and I will recommend them to absolutely no one else. By the way they were referred to me by a hairdresser client of mine back in 2015 and I have never had a single complaint filed against me from any of my customers and not a single chargeback will all my daily sales. I have installed Venmo and I am looking into downloading other apps because after talking to many reps at this company I have concluded that they do not want or need my business.

Original review: May 15, 2018

Square is by far the worst processing company I have ever dealt with. Their rates are over a point and a half higher than the next guy and their customer service is absolutely terrible. They had me switch from my Wells Fargo processing then canceled my account holding almost $6,000 in charges for 90 days because they said my account seemed fishy!! WTF. Absolute joke of a company!!! Will just go back to my Wells Fargo account who I have processed with at a lower rate for over 6 years. 1 star Square 1 star!!

Original review: May 3, 2018

My checking account was billed from people in California. They billed my checking account 5 Times. I don't use THIS company, I am not a business owner or customer of these people. They took the last few dollars I had in my checking account, I am retired and on a fixed income. I tried calling the 855-700-6000 number to have the recorded message tell me to put in a customer or business code in order to talk with someone. I got on the website, the HOW can I Help just brings up troubleshooting and how to do things. It says you have to sign in to get help. So you cannot get help or talk with anyone unless you have an account with them. I don't have one, BECAUSE I don't use them.

I WILL NEVER USE THIS COMPANY, OR RECOMMEND THEM TO ANYONE AFTER THIS. So I had to sign a dispute with my bank, and they have to see who made these transactions out of my account. SQUAREUP, YOU NEED TO DO BETTER BY YOUR COMPANY. Do not, I repeat do not use this company for anything.

Original review: May 2, 2018

I have been using Square for a few years with not many troubles other than an inability to speak to a real customer service rep, and a frequent glitch in the app that prevents/slows/requires reboot while trying to use the instant deposit feature. The fees Square charges for both regular use and instant deposit were something I felt were worthwhile as long as the transactions and deposits were seamless. At some point, Square began to offer me lines of credit that could be paid back in small amounts with each swipe, which I found helpful to assist in growing my business. I ignored the interest fees and took them up on it three separate times and it became a nice way to manage some of the larger ticket expenses without pulling it from other areas of my small ebbing and flowing business.

It was something, though attached to higher fees, that I appreciated as an option in my business relationship with Square, but in the final repayments of my third line of credit Square rescinded their offer for the line of credit in a time when I was really needing to make one of those larger ticket purchases. Their reason was because I had a few less card swipes in the past couple months. It left me in the lurch a little bit and has caused me to reevaluate what Square is really doing for me and my business.

Some of the features seem really helpful but there's a cost attached to it, and Square can decide to be my business partner one day and not, the next. Which is just not the kind of business partner I need given all the other stresses of running a small business. I wouldn't say my experience was bad but the app can stall, and the customer service is a bit lax. It's not a relationship I'm going to continue because Square just wants my fees and isn't really concerned with I want as a business owner.

Original review: April 29, 2018

I have been using another POS for my restaurant for over 20 years and decided to try the Square Up POS. Big mistake on my part. Not only is it very limited as compared to what I was using they charge you 5 dollars per month per employee to access the POS. They have a 30 day trial but now I have had the system over the 30 days so no return and now I am stuck.

Original review: April 24, 2018

I have read several of these comments and I agree with most of them. In the beginning I was excited about this app. It was fast, efficient, and the easiest app to use when transferring or receiving funds. I even referred several friends because of the convenience that I initially had with this app. Then I guess the saying "it sounds too good to be true" really showed its ugly head. It has gone on three weeks and I still haven't received some funds a friend sent me using the cash app. It was requested 4/11/18 and was taken out of his account the very next day 4/12/18. However, the funds are still not in my account to this day. As others have stated their only form of communication is through email and they have constantly copied and pasted the same correspondence putting my bank at fault for not receiving the funds.

I have asked for a supervisor and that is when the correspondence ceased. I've sent them emails back to back and no one has replied since. It has literally turned into a nightmare and my funds have either been stolen from this company or lost somewhere and their "support team" has not provided a resolve or restitution for my funds! Someone mentioned that it's a good app until there's a problem but I would have to disagree. It's fraudulent when an app is a hit or miss withholding their consumer's funds! I will never use this app again once my funds are received!

Original review: April 18, 2018

Returned merchandise at the Point of Sale after I used my Square Visa Debit to purchase merchandise originally. Issued a refund receipt via the merchant. Almost two-months later and the transaction was immediately acknowledged by Square Cash and to date there have been no e-mails returned or attempts to reach me via telephone to resolve the SIMPLE issue. The e-mails that I receive are cat and mouse, pass the ball, swearing someone will call me back or asking me to submit yet another ticket because the last one couldn't be located. There is no way to simply call customer service which should be a HUGE RED FLAG that this company is a HUGE FRAUD!!!

Supposedly there is a way to receive a "magic code" to provide to reach a live rep, however it's either hidden very well or just another BS excuse to frustrate the consumer to the point of them giving-up. It may be only $40 but it's THE PRINCIPLE now and I am irate beyond words that a company can be so incompetent----especially with all the technology. So many people with similar stories of Square holding funds and being non-compliant when help is needed to refund money that rightfully belongs to the consumer. Why is this operation still in business? I AM PERPLEXED BEYOND IMAGINATION!!!

Original review: April 12, 2018

I have been using Square for about a year and a half and have just noticed they have been holding my funds for months at a time... I didn't notice until I had almost 20k deposited and when I looked into it, it was a transaction on Jan 2nd... Now April 9th!! Now looking to alternative solutions and cancelling this ** company!

Original review: April 11, 2018

Square has been fantastic for my business! I only use them when I go to market stalls but it has been a lifesaver. There was one point at which my reader wasn't working properly, but I let Square know and they arranged for a brand new one to be sent out to me asap. Fantastic company and great customer support!

Original review: April 10, 2018

Dear Business Owners and Other people who need to resort to merchant services!!! Please, please avoid using this company. I have never seen such a boldly designed and what's more so boldly implemented SCAM scheme on people who bring business/money to company like SQUARE. People standing behind these illegal activity are just using your money for their dirty deeds. My story looks exactly like 100 of others you can read here. They kissed my ** first, let a couple of transactions go through, then came up with "deactivation" of my company account with money pended for unknown reason and uncertain time. We should stop it!!! Let's create a group of people who got affected by their criminal activity and take this case into a legal field. Please, feel free to contact me at **. It is time to stop this criminal activity!!!

Original review: April 7, 2018

I periodically find that I need to take credit card payments from clients. I registered with Square; account was verified and I verified with them that I could make 2 X 900.00 charges. In fact their representative assisted me with this first charge as I was unfamiliar with the set-up. This was end of March, 2018. They processed the charges then, the hurdles began: where do you get your customers; where do you advertise; send us a copy of invoice. I provided as much as possible. Including a copy of the authorization for charges from the client. For two days I kept in touch - as I had a code then - to make sure I was providing whatever they needed and that all is well; but, was told 'Your account is under review." Surprised of course. Then, account was 'deactivated.' So, cannot get that 'code' to speak to a live person.

Those two days I received 'canned' responses; under review. I wanted to know Why? Reason? All I heard was "under review". I need to ask them: If my business was 'risky' for them, then, why process the credit card; hold the funds; then tell me deactivated and no live person to speak with. Do they put the cart before the horse by taking their funds then trying to verify/validate their customers? I called my client and they say that their credit cards were each debited $900.00 each on the 3rd of April, 2018. Yet, I am unable to get the funds into my account; unable to speak to a live person at Square. I ask: why did they not void/reverse the transaction if they felt that I am unworthy of their services? I have to have a code to speak to someone; but cannot get that special code because my account has been deactivated.

To the powers that be. Please investigate this, as in the USA, this should not happen. They have collected $1800.00 and are holding this in their hands. They are not speaking with the customers. They were so eager to register. Reverse/void the charges and deactivate my account but do not take the funds of small businesses and hold on to it without good reason - this seems to be common practice from the reviews. I cannot ask my clients to pay again as, they have in good faith, paid me through Square. So, I am out of pocket for 1800 minus their service fee and, Square will not communicate further. What an embarrassment! Square's management/owner should be investigated for this practice.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I have been with Square for over 2 years now and have done many transactions through swipe, online purchase and invoice. Every payment method has worked perfectly and money was in my bank account within 24hrs of the purchase sometimes the same day. These complaints below seem like they did not verify their business or show proof they are a registered business which does look shady and seem like you're trying to commit fraud. I have not once ever had a problem with payments and know of 8 other companies that have all used Square successfully since they started that is why I chose them.

Square has excellent fraud protection compared to other companies and do request a lot more info than most to ensure they protect you well but it is necessary. Seems these other reviews were trying to pull shady business or were not even a registered company. They have never held back money from me and every customer I have had was very pleased with our services online and not one bad complaint about issues. I have made thousands of transactions unlike these others that have only had one or two or only a couple days of operation. Once again looks very shady. That alone tells me they are not following proper business practices so it's no wonder they got cancelled.

Seems this is all part of VeriFone's massive public smear campaign and I highly recommend ConsumerAffairs look into these bad reviews because they do not go into much detail and by the sound of it did not even read the terms of use policy which clearly states you need to provide proof you are a legal operating business.

I highly recommend to take an e-commerce or business course before attempting your own business so you know what is actually required. Sounds like a lot of home sellers with no legal business registration. Once again I highly recommend to anyone that knows how to run a business properly and legally. If you are a shady business operator you will end up like the above reviews!

Original review: March 23, 2018

I’m a Tax Preparer. My out of state client paid me via the cash app. Transaction was then canceled “For My Protection.” E-mailed their so-called customer service (NO Live representatives). Didn’t get ANY confirmation of receipt, we’ll get back to you within 24... NOTHING. Client has not had money returned back to them either. I will be DILIGENTLY following up on this! WILL NO LONGER USE OR REFER THEM!

Original review: March 16, 2018

This company is strange. They clearly rob people of their money but nothing ever happens to them. The CEO Jack Dorsey also owns Twitter. It's weird because Bank Of America has never cancelled my account and kept the money. You would think there is a law that requires financial companies to approve companies before taking their money. Not Square. You sign up, they accept you, you deposit the money. Then Square says you broke their terms and keeps the money. Kinda weird if you ask me.

Original review: March 9, 2018

Square Cash. Please, Please customers do not using this App. I see a lot people losing money on that; and I'm the one. If you contact them a lot they don't answer your question ever. My account is rack and I don't know how they can take off my debit card and put one is not mine. Since December I trying contact them but they just send a bunch email with the same question and a bunch customer services different replying your email. Now I have to close my bank account because now show up Uber $80, movie 14.99, request money $100 etc... Bad, bad everything.

Original review: March 9, 2018

My monies were mistakenly sent to another bank and the bank simply was requesting a Letter of Indemnity. They refused to assist. All the money that I earned from my small business is gone. Customer service is non-existent. You will not get support. They require you to obtain a customer number to be able to call in. They are not able to give names or emails of managers. Square will not assist you and I'm pretty sure their practices are borderline illegal. The expectations of response is not reasonable. It took them 3 days to get a document for me to sign. They will happily collect fees on your transactions, but will disregard you when you need help.

Original review: March 8, 2018

I open an account with Square, however never used the card. About 3 weeks ago, started getting emails from them about refunds and a dispute with my acct. Someone has been using my Square acct., they deposited money into my bank acct. I login into the Square acct. and saw transactions up to $85 dollars. I contacted them a few times, thru emails, phone and social media. Someone addressed me on Twitter, they told me someone would contact me but they never did. This company can give a damn about your personal information or acct. been hacked.

Original review: March 6, 2018

They will basically let anyone steal your money. My account was hacked and there is no way to get ahold of them. I have used the only possible contact info they provide via email and no response at all. NEVER trust your money or financial information with these people. TERRIBLE SCAM COMPANY.

Original review: March 3, 2018

Holding my payroll money. I open the account with Square. Linked my bank and they said I was good to go. So I log in to pay a contractor and was doing it by direct deposit. Feb 23 I completed the payroll. Feb 26 the money was taken out of my business bank account. Feb 27 they deactivated my account and said it cannot be reactivated. Also that I need to pay the contractor by writing a check. Which I cannot do because they took the funds from my account. Feb 28 I emailed them since they will not give me a customer code to talk to a live person.

They was to respond in 3 business days. Well they didn't. I wrote again still nothing. I had to pay contractor out my own personal money because they took the payroll money. I have now done a BBB complaint. I have all emails backing what I say and my bank account to provide they have the money. I am now fighting it with my bank to get my money back. I am a small business owner. Them doing this has really put me in a bad spot. I just want my money back so I can replace my personal money.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

Square, accepted and approved a payment for $25000. They removed fees and held the rest, Never released it. Research proved no problem with the American Express Card it had been run on. The money was quickly paid by them. Several phone calls revealed no answer from Square. Square reported that "we can do a review any time we like within the first two years". After the review, Square said they had found no problems, I had submitted every document that they asked for and also submitted copies of the ID from the customer. I asked them when I could expect them to release my funds and the reply was that they were not ever going to. They said "you have to refund the money". I replied that "I do not have the money, you have it held".

I refused, stating that the customer had the merchandise and the customer had confirmed payment from their account. I told them "If I refund the money I will have no merchandise and no money". I was told "if you do not refund the money we will find you in breach of contract and do it ourselves". I now have no money, no merchandise. Make no mistake, everything cleared on the other end, it was simple. Square charges less fees than American Express, so Square would have lost a couple hundred on the deal. If it would have been one of the cards where they would have made money, it would have been no problem. I charged thousands on other cards through Square with no problems.

They advertise to accept American Express, but the truth is they say "get another form of payment and we can approve it, but not this one". They do not tell you this until your customer has run their card, had it approved and left with your merchandise. Square told me they would cancel my account and refund the money if I did not refund it. They said refund it and try to get the customer to voluntarily give you another form of payment. They held every transaction I made, besides this one as well, in an attempt to force me to refund this transaction. As soon as I refunded the money as I was forced to do, Square immediately closed my account. I believe it was because I had argued with them. Make no mistake, the customer who gave me the American Express card had done nothing wrong.

The card they gave me was their card, it was good, the money was paid by American Express, no complaint was ever filed to the contrary and the customer on the other end confirmed the legitimate purchase. Square representatives were extremely rude, demanding and lied to me several times during my attempts to reason with them. I have no merchandise or money for that completely normal sale. Square has broken so many ethical and legal laws, the owners should be arrested. They have no regard for customer rights and will cheat a customer out of thousands of dollars in order to save their company pennies. They are Liars and crooks. Their actions have caused me irreparable harm.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I order the Square stand twice, paid for it, returned the items and after 90 days of waiting they are not giving my money back, all the consultants have no experience running the Square software, after 20 years of business this is the worst company I have work with. The transactions and all the set up was a horrible experience. Thanks for taking my money SQUARE.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I called prior to charging $50,000.00 and $30,000.00 charges and was advised it wouldn't be a problem. After running the card I then had to submit bank statements and government docs which was fine, then they asked me to provide contracts I do not have or require and it's been 3 days and I still do not have my funds.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I will keep it brief but everything you read about Square is TRUE, opened my account on Monday, processed a card on Wednesday and got an email saying my account was under "review" for the $3.5k transaction on Wednesday. Called numerous times asking what the deal was and same response, "it's up for review". The next day I get the same email as many of these people received, "we are deactivating your account". I literally made one transaction and was told they were going to hold my money for 90 days!!!! What? Is this legal in America?? To hold money that's not yours for no documented reason?? Stay away from these crooks, there's literally thousands of bad reviews on the internet about these crooks and what's really telling to me is they are not that old of a company, '09 I believe and to have thousands of bad reviews is very telling. Please let as many people you know about these people and their "ethics", or lack of.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Been with these company for 4 years because we do maybe 20-30 transactions throughout a year, agree to pay higher percentage because we don’t do much credit card processing. After 4 years plus they would hold our money without notice and requested our invoice and government information to our business after been with them for 4 years, they don’t even sent you email notice prior. These is garbage if you expect reliable and customer service company, you will not get these, forget Square. I’m going to get me someone reliable and A+ customer service. I had excellent service with Chase Merchant thru my other business. I might as well go to them.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I have been with Square for many years and my business charge sales are high. If you use them or use the Square store they give you NO protection from chargebacks. They just ripped me off for $1100. They do not verify shipping addresses and will give you no help for a chargeback. The customer service is very rude and will do nothing to help you fight the chargeback. Do not use Square!!!

Square Company Information