3.4/5 (2362 ratings)

About Square

Square offers multiple tools to make life more simple for business owners. The company helps business owners send invoices, accept online payments and offer delivery, pickup and shipping options. It also helps set up online stores. Square has solutions for multiple businesses, including retail stores and restaurants.

Square Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Square?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Square?

Original review: July 27, 2022

Square is not good for small business. Or minorities. They took my money and won’t give it to me, after I sent in all the required documents. The smallest transaction gets put on a 90 day review so imagine having 10 transaction all being kept for 90 day review! I’m trying to make a living not be deceived by a company that’s supposed to be simple to use. I do not recommend to no one. They have a bunch of none English speaking people answering the phone that just read rebuttals. I learned that Venmo is safe and you will get your money.

Original review: July 22, 2022

Square has the ability to take the simplest transactions and make them so complicated that it becomes a nightmare. The customer service support team has no cross-functional training - they transfer you 4-5 times every call. I want to pay payroll through my bank account. Well then I have to go to payroll, then speak with business banking, then speak with the verification department, then speak to payroll again, then get transferred to the general queue and then get disconnected and start again. The user interface is average, there are lots of areas where it's not intuitive. They only have 3rd party verification, which means no one knows why verification works or doesn't work. Holds get put on your account randomly, restricting your ability to transfer money in and out. Several times I've had to explain to my employees why they haven't been paid yet. Square's payroll system is pretty bad.

Original review: July 19, 2022

Today, I've had one of my very worst customer service experiences. Square placed a hold on my checking account without warning or communication. All of my money is currently in this account, and I cannot access any of it. I thought the Square checking account would be a secure place to move funds from my direct deposit. Now, I cannot buy gas. If I had a life-threatening emergency, I would not have access to funds. I do not know how or when this will be resolved. I'm disappointed in the thoughtlessness of this company. I've never had a worse banking experience, and cannot recommend Square to anyone.

Original review: July 18, 2022

I have had horrible experience with Square. I need a copy of my sales report for 2021 and 2022. Someone finally emailed me from the Compliance Dept. and next thing I know they have deactivated my account. Why? Because I asked for a sales report. Who can you contact about these people? I contacted the BBB but haven’t heard back from them. Has anyone contacted a government agency or had any luck contacting anyone for help? I can not find anyone to Help….

Original review: July 11, 2022

I started a new company like 2 weeks ago. I purchase the Square to take payments. They said I could just use a Square debit card and that it would be mailed to me. I seriously did my FIRST transaction and then the took the payment and won't release it to me. Said they want 3 months of bank statements and all kinds of other personal information. I told them that's why I just wanted the debit card because I JUST STARTED the business, I don't even have 3 months of records! They stopped my debit card from working, won't let me add my personal bank account to transfer funds!

I called and they said they can literally KEEP MY MONEY! They also email me 2000 times a week minimum AND overcharged me! I was told opening my account would be free and so would my card reader, LIES! They charged me for them and now won't release MY MONEY! Called 2 times now and no resolutions, was told they can keep my mney and to send bank statements for 3 months! Guess I have to wait 3 months to get statements to get my money! Needless to say I am CANCELLING IF I ever get MY money! HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Original review: July 11, 2022

Scammers the lot of them. Total criminal to take down all of my personal information including passport, bank account, Medicare card and drivers license and abn and then reject my identity verification. When emailing customer service THERE IS NO SOLUTION FOR THIS. They have all of my information but I can’t use the terminal because the third party verification that they use they DO NOT HAVE CONTROL OVER L. Which makes my unfortunate one thousand times more likely to be shared in a data leak. I messaged customer service just to receive the same auto reply not only blaming me for typing errors but offering me no solution to my problem and the worst part is I have spent 3 days figuring that out. It’s cheap becuse it is a POS (not point of sale but piece of **)! Do not buy, total scam company.

Original review: July 7, 2022

I do personal training and Square holds your money randomly for no reason. Then out of nowhere they closed my account with 2,000 in it and said they will hold for 120 days to be safe when I never had issues with charge backs or anything. They scam you. Please do not use. They take your money and screw you over.

Original review: June 30, 2022

I want to file a complaint against Square. I have a small travel company located in Los Angeles. We have been using Square for over 6 years. When the pandemic hit, we had lots of consumer refund requests and we didn't have enough staff to process everything on time. There were some clients who decided to file a credit card dispute with their credit card company. I totally understand their decisions. Because the disputes went to Square, they decided to put a reserve on our account, which is 40% of all sales volume. I actually understood their decision as well because of the credit card disputes we had.

However, as of June this year, we issued more than 1.3 million refunds to clients and the credit card disputes have almost disappeared. We hired new staff and tried to take care of every refund request. But Square still keeps the reserve on our account. This is becoming more and more concerning to us. For example, we only receive 60% of the clients' payment when they make a booking with us, and when they come back in 4 month and decide to cancel the trip, we are supposed to refund 100% of the payment minus a little cancellation fee, but Square hasn't even transferred us their payment. We still only have 60% of the total payment but now we need to refund almost 100% of what they paid! These similar transactions are draining our bank account!

I believe our business is just one of hundreds of thousands facing the same problem, I demand Square to take the correct action and refund our reserve right now. I will share my experience with all regulatory bodies until they do. If anyone has a similar experience, please feel free to contact me, and we can together form a stronger force against this unfair treatment.

Original review: June 27, 2022

I would recommend if you're an online retail store do not use Square. They will hold 30% of your money without letting you know. I had this happened to me with my customer's order where they decided to keep 30% of the full order on reserved. I call them to ask them why did they do that and they had no reason why. They have poor customer service and I would not recommend them to any online store. I ask them to for my money back and I wanted to cancel my account with them and they refuse to give my money. They said to wait 120 days. So here we are, their only resolution is to refund my custom and charge him with another merchant. You know how ridiculous that sounds. Stay Away.

Original review: June 14, 2022

This company will block access to your money multiple times whenever they feel like it without any prior notice!!! They claim it's automatic and won't give you your money for days!!! They will leave you with ZERO dollars while they take their sweet time reviewing your account even though they've already done a full verification process when you sign up!!! WRONG WRONG WRONG!!! I'M CANCELLING THIS USELESS THIEVERY OF A COMPANY.

Original review: May 28, 2022

I have signed up for Square business banking everything is great as always when you start doing business, fast forward to 05/28 my family and I heading out of town stopped by to get cash out available balance is 5k a poor guy with a 2 yr old and a 4 yr old, I promised to take them out of town and buy my daughter a bicycle, the funds is available but I can't transfer the money, withdraw the money, first reason it's a server error, second reason they are looking into it, third it might take a day it's Saturday and it's a Holliday for the only obviously with our money, taking to someone forget about it, all you get is a robot, logged in again the funds are available and ready for use, try to use the card, the same cycle starts over and have been for 5 hours and my kids looking so much forward to it looking at their Dad and he is literally sitting duck helpless in a car 91 degree heat and I can't turn it off because of the kids,

Finally Mr Robot came with a genius idea, why can't I use another card?? All I can tell you is that it's my turn today and maybe yours GOD'S FORBID tomorrow it could be 5k, 50k or more or less, find yourself a decent bank actually cares or park right next to me waiting for another genius idea, or just use another card. GOD is my witness everything I wrote here now is the absolute truth

Original review: May 23, 2022

I was locked out of my account on Friday. I went to my online portal to resolve the matter. It gave me an error message through the entire portal reset. I chatted online with support. They keep giving me the run-a-round, giving me misleading information. I finally spoke with someone today on Monday. We went through the entire verification process all over again. Then I was told that I would be back in good standing within two hours. It has been nine hours now and they are giving me the same sob story all over again. Horrible Support, Horrible Customer Service.

Original review: April 27, 2022

I have small business and I’ve been using Square for a while now. I started doing small loans through Square but the loan amounts and the amount deposited never add up… I’ve always been finding that small amounts are missing sometimes $.14-$2 dollars but there’s always money that doesn’t add up. I called for an amount that was deposited and they transferred me to the loans department. The woman I spoke with was rude and still couldn’t explain why there’s micro amounts missing from every deposit. Stay away. I’m done using this scam of a company.

Original review: April 23, 2022

Square processed my small business transactions as it does so for so many of us. Multiple accounts were found "associated" to my business, with incorrect spellings and obviously scamworthy info included. Square lets them charge their own cards and then I get left with the bill. They won't give you ANY information about the associated accounts except the name and email address used. It is open to fraudulent activity and then honest businesses suffer. I've filed internet complaints, FTC complaint and more. They still refuse to give me my money.

Original review: April 17, 2022

Square, Stripe, Paypal and WePay are not real credit card processors. These are money transfer companies claiming to be credit companies. Please, please do business with a real credit company. These companies actually steal your money and with no oversight agency they will continue to do so. You need to go with companies like Englobe WorldPay, (**) Capital Bankcard, Elite Bankcard Solution (**) etc. These are real credit card companies and have to abide by the credit card association rules. Square is own by Jack Dorsey, the owner of Twitter. These guys don’t care about Square’s customers.

When you file a suit against Square, it never makes it to the top unless you are asking for five million or more. They treat customers like animals and just continue to take their money. The percentage rate will tell you these companies steal from honest hard working people. 30 cents plus 2.70% this is actually 3.00 per hundred dollars they take. A regular credit card company charges about 15 cents plus 1.30% normally that is about $ 1.45 cent per every hundred dollars you make. Please, please these companies are only robbing merchants every day. They come with slick equipment and flashy websites to lower merchants in. Do not fall for the **, regular credit card companies offer the same or much better.

Original review: April 8, 2022

I think this company should only be entertained as a last resort. We signed up for Square for our website, we filled out the application and questionnaire and were accepted. We sell CBD products and apparently Square said they allowed it. After passing the review they allowed us to receive payments. Then once money came in, they never let us withdraw a single dollar. It felt like some strange trap. We were perfectly fine with being denied by them, but to accept us and then lock the money up once it came in was just absurd and infuriating.

Customer Service is the worst I have ever dealt with especially considering the size and visibility of this company. You can not actually talk to the compliance people. They apparently "do not have phones". Therefore they train the customer service people to get you off the phone and "wait for an email." Often these emails never come, and you need to call again and again. One time one of the customer service reps actually hang up on me. When you ask to speak to a manager, they lie and tell you they do not have any managers. When the emails do come, you can not reply to the emails because they send it from an account that either doesn't receive emails or that no one checks.

So they take your money, then tell you "oops we shouldn't have taken your money, but you can't have it either." Then you can't actually talk to anyone who you can work with or who can actually make a decision or give you any relevant advice. You just get stuck along with your cash. Best choice we made with Square was stopping after just over $200 in payments when we realized we were never going to be able to withdraw. If we hadn't have been vigilant and disconnected Square from our website promptly, they would've damaged our business terribly.

Original review: April 2, 2022

This company has the most unprofessional support you can ever find. Their team does not know how to use their own platform. They removed a whole section from the interface of the Square admin along with the custom code. Now no one, including their own engineers, is able to access this code and as a result, our analytics data is broken and we are unable to run any campaigns in our store. The issue is going on for 8 months now and I get Zero support on this. Their advertising is false! Square does not support many of the futures they advertise. They claim integration with Pinterest, but Pinterest integration just does not work and they do nothing about it. I'm extremely frustrated with this company.

Original review: March 31, 2022

I have been messed around by this company for days. They won't verify my account because I don't have a previous credit history. They failed to advise me of this at the beginning and continued to take me on a wild goose chase making me go through Equifax (the third party they use to check credit history). I shouldn't have to have a credit history to use their product. I'm upset at their poor customer service, their lack of clear information and their poor system. I had no trouble with Paypal or Stripe. This is ridiculous. From other reviews and from what the poor customer service lady told me this is a really frequent issue. Do better Square - your system is broken.

Original review: March 30, 2022

This company believes it can withhold funds from my business that were paid by legitimate credit/debit cards without explanation. The employees are located in various parts of the world, but not in the USA. They seem to know absolutely nothing about what is happening with the funds from my transactions, and waste unconscionable amounts of time asking, then re-asking, unnecessary questions about me. I had a client pay $5700 on a credit card run through Square. Weeks later when the funds never showed up in my bank account, I called square to inquire I got nothing but runarounds from the poorly trained employees I could speak to.

They have now held my funds for almost 3 weeks--they acknowledge that they have them but simply pass me around to different employees, all of whom ask me the same questions, but none of whom answer my questions or do anything to help. It would be comical if they did not continue to hold my funds with no explanation yet to be heard. This is the worst company I have dealt with in 47 years of running a business.

Original review: March 29, 2022

I called Square to possibly join and was welcomed to a sales agent that set me up with an account. I told him where I was at with starting a new company and this given everything I was told set it up accordingly for me. As I begin to invoice my clients billing gets flagged and square can’t help and after speaking with their customer service they don’t know how to view what gets sent and ask me to cancel my invoice and send again making my client repay a new invoice. I then lost that client. I then invoice another client twice in a week and my account gets flagged. I provide all documentation and am told if I don’t have enough info or if something is wrong they will reach out with reason to support it. A day later I receive an email stating my entire account and service has been forcefully deactivated. No reason to a termination was provided in any way shape or form.

I call customer service to speak to a supervisor and they then say, "You can’t speak to anyone as your account has been deactivated." Given I have invoiced clients there are funds being withheld from me without the ability to pull hard earned money nor ask my client to decline and pay with another service. To do anything I will now have to wait 3 months if not more to even begin the decline and refund process from which I have to tell my client to decline a charge made months ago. I will most likely lose this client.

So I signup with this company. Tell them exactly where I am at with my startup, they say it’s perfect. No problem, and a few weeks later I have had funds withheld from which I can’t get back, provided all documentation when flagged, they deactivated my account effective immediately (without the capabilities to speak to anyone to do anything, wasn’t given a reason, and now lost clients because of it. They will take my withheld invoices funds to use throughout their company. This is the scam of all scams and completely unjust. They have breached their own contract with customers and pushed them out and stolen from them with no reason whatsoever. If you want your startup to be robbed, ridiculed and to lose anything you have going for you, this is the company for you.

Original review: March 24, 2022

Square allowed us to re-open our school cafeteria for cashless payments quickly and easily! We had been looking for an affordable system and had no luck until Square. The backroom reporting is clear and easy to understand. The POS system in the cafeteria is quick and user friendly. Reloadable gift cards have been a big seller for us here at the school. The cards are easy to track and clear balances if cards are lost or stolen. Ordering customized cards is quick and easy. Love the flexibility of the system and the online Dashboard for the back end reports, etc. Is easy to navigate and print all the required information for our auditors! Keep up the great work. :)

Original review: March 22, 2022

I'm surprised some government agency hasn't shut them down. I have a $600.00 deposit they have not transferred yet even after answering all their stupid question. DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE. Go to Quick Books or Pay Pal. The Worst!

Original review: March 16, 2022

If you are small business I suggest you stay away from Square! any chargeback they will favor the customer even the customer is wrong. I've had many issues with them!! Even as a business owner I want to give money back and get my product back it is not possible with square! They will have the client hold the merchandise and refund the money.. They work for the crook buyers!! I've had a buyer who was not happy with their purchase. My return policy is clear. We offer exchange only and they get that policy notice verbally and on their receipt. Square had the customer hold on to the jewelry and gave their money back and withdrew the funds from our account! They want us to hire a lawyer. For the small business this is not possible as some purchases are small and lawyers charge a lot of money.

Original review: March 8, 2022

I am a Massage Therapist and Energy Worker. My business would not be up and running without Square to support me with payment processing, appointment scheduling and so much more. I have both services and products to sell, and Square lets me take care of both and keep track of everything myself. Square offers more business tools in one place than anyone else with a better value. Integrations and additional services through Square Capital keep me and my business running smoothly. I could not have made a better decision than to sign up with Square.

Original review: March 8, 2022

Point of sale is great for everyone starting their own business funds transfer as instant as you want. They also finance to help your buisness grow, point of sale couldn’t be anymore easier. Overall I'm a happy customer!

Original review: March 7, 2022

Square comes in handy for each of my unique customer transactions. Whether it be setting up an order or charging a customer it's a great way to constantly stay engaged with each of my current or potential new clients. Customers can pay online through my connected website or text me by phone. It's simple to use and I highly recommend it for its ease of use for not only myself but clients as well.

Original review: March 5, 2022

So bought terminal from Best Buy, then signed up with a account, jumped through hoops, then started using the service as I sell laptops. Well first payment was $2900.00. Check the account your fund on hold till you provided every detail of you life including kitchen sink! So I do give them photos of id, customer address phone contact number, 3 months of bank statements, even copy of my car business account and info. copy of the invoice as well!! Everything they asked. I open chat reply, "Oh you will be notified if we need anything more!!" I was like **. Found their support number, called, told them get this resolved! By 6 pm to the fund now say available. All good it a weekend 2 biz days to withdrawal plus Sat and Sunday. Or click here to instant withdrawal for a extra 1.5%. What a scam. Second the money clears into my bank I'm closing my account and return terminal to Best Buy and going back to PayPal ugh!

Original review: March 3, 2022

We recently lost money because we charged on the magnetic strip of a card and that card had a chip. I inquired to Square and said that the consumer took our product, but was informed that any time that you use the magnetic strip when the card has a chip, the retailer is at risk. The consumer can take your product and deny payment to the card company because you did not use the chip. As a retailer, there is nothing you can do. I thought Square should have informed their customers. We have now switched to SumUp; they charge less per transaction and offer a chip reader for $20.

Original review: March 2, 2022

I am a studio salon owner, Square has helped me with my professionalism. And stay on top of my goals and my client's needs. Every time I get tempted by other competitors, Square comes out with some other feature that keep me loyal.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2022

I am the owner of two small businesses and Square would not allow me to use a referral code to receive free processing on my first $1000. As a customer of theirs for over 5 years I am very disappointed and will be looking into taking both of my businesses to another POS company!

Square Company Information