1.39/5

Need credit card processing?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

244 Square Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

They are holding $15,000 of my money. July 2018 I did a personal credit card transaction and they didn’t tell me about it and every transaction I’ve done since then you’re holding my money and I want to talk to somebody and will not talk to me over the phone. They say somebody to be in contact with me and email. Have not received an email. I just message them and I’m getting very aggravated.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

Please consider another company if you’re a small business and depend on getting paid when a customer pays you. Square will hold your money for as long as they want to. So at the end of the week I’m the one footing the bill to pay my employees, my expenses and material bills. Wouldn’t be a problem if Square wouldn’t just let $10k sit in an account and you have no access to it.

Try to call someone and can’t get a real person. Send an email, and you get the same generic automatic reply every time. Sending you to their FAQs about depositing the money to your bank. And when none of it applies to you and you still have no idea why they're holding it and try and contact them again, you get the exact same email sent back telling you to read the FAQs. Just go with a different company. Save yourself the trouble and risk of losing your business. There are better alternatives out there! PayPal worked much better, I decided to give Square a try because it seemed more convenient. Biggest mistake I’ve ever made. PayPal has never given me a problem and I don’t know why I was dumb enough to fall for the Square scam.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I had been using Square for years and they just terminated my account for absolutely no reason. Customer service gives no explanation and no help to resolve the issue! I tried to phone them and needed a customer code... They will not issue a customer code so that I may speak to an agent. I am at the beginning of my trade show season and have invested a ton of time and money. When I attempted to process a sale Square rejected the sale. Now I have customers and no way to process credit cards.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I’ve been with SQUARE for several years. Each year increasing to $770,000 processed for 2018. HUGE problem is, when a customers is not happy with the medical service we have completed/provided, all they have to do is file a credit card dispute with their bank. Square bows down immediately and pulls the large amount out of your account, holds it for "the dispute" for about 90 days, all the while collecting interest on your money you already paid them a service fee for.

Then if you call you will get a millennial with no common sense nor client service and does absolutely nothing for loyal clients. They just don’t give a damn. I’m seeking a better processing company after this last time where they have 4200.00 for the next 90 days. AND their interest fee is higher than most. Extremely worthless customer service. I don’t even know if that is legal to withdraw and hold someone’s money for 90 days on a complaint??? I’m looking into the legalities of this.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

On Jan 14 I opened an Acct with Square to process a Credit Card payment for a Automotive Scan Tool. I completed all of the requirements. Processed the credit card. The funds showed up in my acct. I spoke with them and I was assured that the funds would be deposited the next day and everything was good. The next day instead of the funds being deposited into my acct. I rec'd an e-mail telling me that I should refund the transaction and process it with another company. I tried to contact them by phone and e-mail more than 20 times only to get the same e-mail message.

Finally on Jan 24th I was able to speak to them over the phone. What I was told was that their "Review Department" decided not to process the transaction as they were uncomfortable with the information I provided them. I then asked to speak to the "Review Department" so that I could provide them with further information and get this straightened out. I was told that isn't possible. I then asked what information were they uncomfortable with and was told she (Chelsey) wasn't able to give me that information. This company has $4,000 of my money and are withholding it illegally. I wished I would have found this site before I would have opened an acct with them. I think that all of the people on here should file a lawsuit against them. I will be looking into taking legal action against them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Square?

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

Square has been my go to our small business for a while, mostly because it was one of very few options and I didn't feel like dealing with change. Well that all changed today, in the past I've had questions and it takes days if not weeks to get answers. Well a sale yesterday was instant deposited into my bank account, then instantly drawn back out by Square. They have been horrible helping us and continually. Say that they see nothing wrong and everything looks fine. Except the fact I'M out $220+ and have to supply the product to my customer. They don't care and are not working fast to resolve it. Any amount of money is big to a small business and SQUARE doesn't care about it. They will have no problem taking your money but if you need their help they are nowhere to be found. With so many options out there SQUARE has become a no go for most so I suggest you avoid them.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

WORST!!! DO NOT USE!!!! BEWARE!!! I used Square for my business and they terminated my account for absolutely no valid reason. You cannot reach anyone via telephone and the emails are just same spiel and the recorded phone calls. WORST service I have encountered in all my years as a businessperson. They are holding over $20,000 of my money and they won't release it for 90 days. If that's not being thief then I don't know what is.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

The deactivation of my account without any notification or explanation is the most shocking and unethical things that Square did to me. I still do not have any idea why my account was deactivated. I think giving notification in advance would be the proper thing to do by Square. Square deactivated my account in the middle of the business day leaving me without any means of accepting cards from my customers. After multiple emails and calls, they still did not explain to me what is the issue for my account closure. It seems like the company does not give a damn about their customers, and that's very sad. I will do my best to share my experience with all of my friends and other business owners and encourage everyone to switch to a different merchant. I really wish it didn't go like this...

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

The worst experience ever! Worst can be maybe Stripe. Review my account after very first transaction and lock account after I sent out all the docs asked! They said, “We can’t no longer support your business because of high risk." I have charge my client for private lessons and now I have to refund money for lessons I have already gave. Lose money and time!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

As pissed as I am, I am sharing my experience so that other small businesses don't get screwed like I did. I'm a mom and a small business owner. After a year of using PayPal to accept my payments I decided to branch out to credit cards. Everything went well with Square to begin with... until I needed to contact them. It's not easy, it involves research and jumping through hoops. I received a large order and was excited, but I also decided to be smart and reach out to AMEX to make sure the card was legit. Amex told me because I didn't have the full credit card number they could not check on their end and I should contact Square to get the information needed.

When I finally figured out how to get Square on the phone and spoke to them they told me they can't see the credit card number either and they can't confirm with AMEX, but they assured me that there were no red flags on their end and that if the billing and shipping match there shouldn't be a problem and they also let me know if anything did go wrong it was on me. Ummmm, ok why am I paying them if they can't even protect me? I wondered. I mailed the merchandise and made sure to get tracking and signature.

A few months later I get an email from Square saying that a bank reached out to them and that this sale was under investigation and the client said they had not made the purchase. I was so pissed. So Square said I could provide evidence and challenge the bank. Luckily I had all of the evidence needed... Matching billing and shipping, email correspondence and proof of shipment and delivery signature. I got an email yesterday that the bank sided with their own customer... (Why am I not surprised?) And that I need to pay Square back in full. I emailed requesting a payment plan, they responded giving me some options and then debited my account the full amount. WTF!!! Thanks for protecting a small business owner and thanks for taking funds out with no time wasted and putting me at negative. I'll never work with them again. That's not taking care of your customer.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

We have registered on SQUARE to accept online credit card payment. We have done all they asked us to do at the beginning except the business registration papers and bank statement but gave business number HST number, bank information and all. They said, "Congrats you can now start accepting payment." We had processed 3 payments total of $11,745CAD and they said our transaction under review. We have uploaded our official business registration papers and bank statements. 2 days after uploaded all (8-10 days after initial transactions) at 2 AM in the morning I have receive an email saying that "we cannot process your transaction please refund it cards" after my client has gone back their country. We are Toronto, Ontario based medical tourism consulting company and, our clients are from all over the world.

This specific client was from United States and she received the service in Istanbul, Turkey and paid her bill over our virtual terminal on our website. We got the authorization codes and payments went through no problem. Our services are non-refundable and she went back her country after she received her service and now SQUAREUP is asking us to refund the funds WITHOUT A REASON GIVEN TO US. I have been trying to reach out to them in every way I could; call centre says what exactly email says "cannot process refund the funds". I think they read the same email sent us and when asked to speak manager, no manager was giving service over the phone, No email service and, when we tweet on Twitter someone immediately asked me to go private message and eventually said what email said "please follow email instruction sent to me earlier".

And I finally tweeted to their new CFO and no answer all afternoon and have no hope from her either. I will look for legal help but PLEASE THINK TWICE BEFORE START DEALING WITH THEM!!! I am only looking for reason of whats behind this rejection to process our legitimate transactions, If they asks us to provide anything they want we could to prove our transactions and, We tried to tell them that we are ready to help them with anything they need to transfer our funds to our account but no response from them. VERY POOR SERVICE AND BIG FRUSTRATION...

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

We're a commercial cleaning company and we signed up for Square payroll for direct deposit to pay our contractors on Monday 1/7/19. We submitted all the required information and received a congratulatory email welcoming us to their payroll. After that we submitted all of our financial information for our bank and the financial information for the individuals we had to pay. We processed the complete payroll as instructed by Square. Square immediately took the money out of our account to cover the direct deposit payroll.

Once we were done with that a few hours later we received an email from them requesting more documents. 1 item on their list we did not have available so we called them to ask if this was going to be a problem and they continued to demand we submit information that we told them we could not provide. At that point I requested to cancel the account so that I can process the payroll another way. I request a refund and to cancel the account. They advised me that a refund was not an option? I was extremely confused. They advised me in writing also I saved the email, that I can not have a refund. They also advised me in email, that I can not have a payroll account with them and my account has been deactivated? At this point I am a little past confused. Of course all I wanted now was my money back.

I went to their dashboard where it advised me to write out checks for my contractors, however the money was still not in my bank account? I never wrote the checks because they have the money, so if I would have wrote the checks the checks would have bounced. Needless to say I tried to call them and my code was deactivated. I tried to get a new code and a message came up that said, "No telephone support is available for your account. Please email instead." WOW! So basically they still have my money to this day. $1113.00 to be exact and the most confusing part of all that made me cry with tears was that, I later found out that in their fine print when you agree to deal with them, they have it written that they can pretty much do whatever they want at their discretion. Yes including keep your money. Be careful with the internet folks. It's a lot of bait and switch out here and it's all just a click away.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

We are a small business in East Texas. We work with a lot of oil companies and receive very large credit card payments. Square notified us and stated we were in review in November 2018. They requested many docs, which we immediately submitted. They did not release our funds. In December they did not release our funds and we were not aware of that until we received our bank statement this week. I called them and got NOWHERE! Their answer is they would escalate the problem and try to get us an answer.

In the meantime, they are holding over $40,000 of our funds and have charged the credit cards of our customers and refuse to release them. I asked how long to escalate and they could not provide an answer. I asked to talk to management and they refused and said management would not talk to any customers. I am filing with the BBB and we are contacting our lawyer to recover our funds. This is the most dishonest company I have ever had to work with. DO NOT USE THEM! They will cheat you out of your money and I would be willing to bet they are collecting interest on our money.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I have a Square account and am able to sign in. However, I tried reaching out in several different ways to Square (No email, ineffective "chat", etc.), only to find their "Chat" option using AI technology that is a circular NIGHTMARE and their average phone wait is almost 2 HOURS EVERY time I try - UGH! The customer service automated phone message requires existing customers to have a customer code, but there is no such account on my webpage/account. I actually owned their stock until this experience, when I SOLD ALL THEIR STOCK I OWNED! Initially, their products were easy to use, but God help you if you ever need assistance from Square.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Square processed several small transactions for my business. Then when we actually implemented it into use they held our funds. Collected it from my customer and held it. The account said “under review”. I danced around with their request all while 20k+ sat in hold. They provided no phone assistance and kept putting my account into further review. I will never use this service again and hope that for the sake of your business you stay away as well.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Got Square because I needed a credit card processor in order to accept Spa Finder gift cards for my business but Square shut me down after I had already accepted and provided services to several clients. Square involuntarily refunded their money when no one asked them to. It's a nightmare.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

Just last week I discovered this acronym, *SQR, appearing several times in my bank accounts records. There were 13 charges for "small" amounts, first 50 to 90 dollars, then a steady stream of 115.00, 116.00 charges. In total, in just a week, *SQR had siphoned almost 2000.00 from my checking account. I had a Square Cash account on the app that I haven't used in years, connected to my bank card, so either there's a hack or there's something funky going on with the company. Thankfully, my bank stopped the card, I disconnected and deleted the app, and they are in the process of doing an investigation. If this happens to you, get your bank on the case ASAP.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

Please stay away from Cash App. They took money out of my account and no one is responding to my emails. There is no phone number to contact anyone. This is crazy. They took $320.00 of my money and cannot tell me what happen.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

Please stay away from Cash App. It’s scammers and fraudulent, I wish I don’t give them any star at all. My account was hacked and I reported to them to cancel the payment as it is stated on their app that you can cancel a payment. I reached out to Cash team to report and requested them to investigate the matter which they have in their policy that they have all the right to cancel or hold a payment if it’s suspicious. Since they don’t have human customer service and they don’t reply back to your email I ADVISE YOU TO STAY AWAY FROM THIS APP. Not good people to do business.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

We got the square about 6 months ago for our small business. We were doing good business and they were take crazy fees out on the money we were depositing I need. They took thousands. It was crazy. Then all of a sudden I got a email this week saying our account was being deactivated without a explanation. They say it was because of fraudulent. There was not fraud going on on our end that’s for sure and I try to get in contact with the fraud team or whatever they call their selves. The customer support would not tell me nothing other than what the email said which it didn’t say hardly anything.

I ask how to get in touch with the fraud team. They told me there was no way of getting in contact with them and that I should just find another merchant. I told her it was a bunch of BS that they deactivated our account without so much as a explanation and they are cowards for not being able to get in contact with the fraud team for a explanation. This company should be shut down cause they are nothing but cowards & crooks. There has to be something we can’t do to have them shut down. DONT BUY THIS PRODUCT. IT'S A RIPOFF!!!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I had a deposit of $4000 through Square and 1 week later still no money, this company holds your money up for their own benefits. I called them up here in Australia to ask them what they were doing? And the customer representative was the rudest unprofessional person I have spoken to, her name was Kelsey working from the call centre in Melbourne. She was a power-tripping nutcase just like the company she works for. The whole company is a sham and I am warning everyone out there do not use them, they will rip you off.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I realized a weird thing about Square. When customers pay with their card or Apple Pay when they ask for a receipt I saw that Square gives them an option to email or text the receipt. This information is kept in Square's database and the small-business owner can never see its own customers number. The number or email is always hidden like John Smith 20*-33*-***8 . The only way you can have access to your own customers information is when you sign up for email marketing and that is $39/mo and Square thinks that they have a right to collect data from customers they never saw or met and you or me as business owners can't have access to our own customers. Is That legal? Not sure about it.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

One of my best business tools. The website is easy. No hidden charges or fees. Updated information. This is everything you need for a small business or just starting out like I did 4 months ago. You won't be disappointed.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

We got set up with Square. Card reader sent out. They was happy to take money then when the funds was due to be in our account. They spend the account and hold your hard earned money for 90 days. You will find the service is the worst. No help. No reason apart from your business does not fit their needs. Well why send the card machine and take payments? We filled the forms out. Sent everything they needed. The reason they send it is to rob your money for 90 days. The worst company ever. Should not be allowed to supply this type of service. Now my customers are waiting for refunds. This does damage to your business. Go with Worldpay, etc. not these cowboys. Would have given no star if I could. Please do not use. Read the online review. This happens a lot.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

Although I don't personally use the app as a point of sale; I send invoices. My customers get offered cash, check or charge and when they say charge I use Square. Square is a pay only for what you use provider meaning I don't have to worry about monthly charges for the privilege of accepting card payments. I send invoices to customers within the app and they pay thru a link in the email. I usually send invoices while I'm standing next to customer and they pay me before I leave. We both get confirmation emails of the payment and I never touch the customer's card. Simple, easy and straightforward terms.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

We used to only accept cash as we never would pay the outrageous card fees, then along came Square and voila, a few years into Square one of our clients backed out of their agreement and attempted to cancel their deposit through the bank. Square jumped in and covered it. What a peace of mind knowing we are covered.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

Before using Square I used another company and started having problems. Since using Square I have not had any problems. My credit card processing cost has gone down and they have fast deposits. Their website/dashboard is easy to use. I would recommend Square to anyone wanting to accept credit card payment.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I have used Square point of sale for many years now without one problem! I can count on their customer service if I have a question. I have just added the calendar this year and it has made it so easy to schedule my clients in a timely manner. I love that it sends reminders for their appointments too. This has made my business run so much smoother!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I do many vendor events with my home business and offer cash & carry. So many people use their credit cards/debit cards. Square has been very important for me to run my business and accepting payments. I like the instant deposit options and the referral bonuses.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I've used Cash App for months. My card was stolen and money was fraudulently stolen. November 27th 2018. I reported the card stolen and asked that Cash App refund my money back to me. It is December 3rd 2018 and they have not refunded me nor have they responded to various emails I've sent them. I am a single mom and will take legal action and they will not get away with letting this happen to me and not do anything about it! I reached out to Square online since it seems they own Cash App. The rep told me they couldn't do anything and that I had to continue to reach out to customer service via the app on my phone! I've been getting the runaround but I won't give up! Once I get this resolved I will forget this company exist. I'd rather pay WU - at least they're a reputable company.

Square Company Information