1.42/5
Based on 104 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need credit card processing?

Last updated: April 18, 2018

104 Square Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

Customer purchased/paid for my product back in October 2013. Their overseas bank is now requesting a reimbursement (Jan 2018). I even called the customer and they replied they never spoke with their bank and they don't know this was going on. Rogue bank in my opinion. I supplied Square evidence of the product purchased and the delivery notice from UPS. Square took one day after I sent in details and is attempting to pull funds. Square did not even have the decency to call or email me with their investigation findings. They state in their information that they will investigate. So, with that said, this is unsatisfactory for a credit card company to side with an overseas bank to pull a reimbursement of over $1,900.00 for a custom product that was sold and delivered. Worse, they don't even provide a reason nor back up their loyal customer. DON'T USE SQUARE! They won't be your back! Instead, they will stick it to you in your back!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

So I took a payment just fine. I was awaiting the deposit and it never came. Received an email that my deposits were suspended. Had to issue an refund. Luckily the customer understood and was willing to pay in cash as an alternate form of payment. So I jumped through all their hoops, provided all the requested documentation, etc. Received an email. All was back to normal. Took another payment today and now my account is deactivated. (A $3200 payment to boot), now I have to wait at least 90 days for it to be released!! This is BS.

Of course I got this notification at freaking midnight so I couldn't call my customer and their customer service is useless if your account is deactivated. There "no support" for deactivated accounts. SO now I am out $3200. I have no way to pay for the supplies that I need to complete the transaction. Any suggestions? I am praying that when I contact my customer and I explain the situation (I have already issued refund via his card) that he can pay for the goods in alternate manner. Still hoping for advice.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

I have a chargeback, not valid, in addition another deposit that Square decided to hold for a minimum of 90 days. They informed me through email, that the funds were going to be held. Told me to send them (Square), which bounced back from a no reply email. This company is unethical, and can't be trusted. I wonder how they have an A rating on BBB?? BBB might be another entity in collusion (taking money) to show a favorable rating? Deal with Square and you will find out soon enough, they are a Scam and can't be trusted. They are holding $1291.00 of mine, until who knows when. What is my recourse? File suit, any suggestion?

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

The absolute worst experience ever, these people have ice in their veins. Shut us down in the middle of a Saturday for reasons that make zero sense. No notice, an email in the middle of the day saying, "You're done."

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

I do not recommend the service to anyone especially if you need access to funds right away or a drop shipper. After taking three payments successfully Square Up decides to deactivate my account and hold funds for ninety days just before they were to be deposited into my account. I had to refund each of my three sales and further deactivate my account because of an action I find unethical and damaging to my business.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Square?

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

I have been taking point of sale payments for about 2 months and everything was going fine until I got a new android phone, and the Square app became restricted and would not allow me to make any changes in the settings, so I tried getting help from customer support. I had an event and took in $500 of point of sale payments even though the Square app said I had restricted privileges, and I continued taking payments as usual on this Saturday because there is no Square support available on weekends.

ON Monday I began trying to contact Square and going through all the usual complicated methods of obtaining a customer number. We had a couple conversations with customer support and they literally could not find out account and claimed we were not customers. My husband got extremely frustrated and had a hard time expressing himself because English is not his first language.

At this point I think the customer support person decided to completely cut us off and have now disabled our Square login completely so we have no access whatsoever to our point of sale records, sales, or ability to take payments. We have an event today and are going to use PayPal, but we will have to go to small claims court and obtain an attorney to get our $500 of sales we made last Saturday. This is unbelievable and they literally stole our $500 and are claiming it is not our account. I am trying 1 last effort at reaching a supervisor at their company, and after that we are going to the authorities to report the theft.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

A woman I help get her Square set up so that I could send her payments who other than does work for me I have no connection. No shared anything. They accused her of being out of compliance for section 35 of their payment terms...all lies. Sad.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

My husband opened an account with them. There was a dispute, it was in his favor. They are holding 2,500 dollars of his money. I will do everything in my power to crush their little scam business. I will go to every site NBC 5 and ruin them. Some people you do not mess with and think you're going to get away with it. BEWARE. They are a bunch of crooks! I have contacted nbc 5 and they have responded. And you can do the same.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

We are small business. We signed up for Square. ALL of our customers allowed us to charge their credit card. No problems nor complaints from our clients!! Square HAS KEPT THEIR MONEY on hold all of a sudden, cancelled our account. They have not refunded the customer their money and have not explained why the account is cancelled. More importantly they have kept our clients' money!!! Our situation is the same as Gary from GA who posted Dec 15th 2017. Does Square think that because we are a small business we are helpless? Our clients think that they have paid us, their credit cards have been charges, they are paying interest, the only entity that has money is Square, not the client. Not us. Square makes itself unavailable for contact once they have closed the account. It is impossible to speak to a real person to find out what is going on. This is illegal.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

Used them as my credit card processor, had no problems with them. For a few years things went well, although I use them sparingly. The last transaction a fairly large one for me, they are holding my money, my client has no problems with transaction going through. I am small and I need my money to pay suppliers, they are getting me in a bind. No way to call them. Email is very slow to no response. Use caution with Square.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

I have been working with customer service for a week or so. My device worked with the card reader for months. Now it isn't. First they tell me my device is compatible then they tell me it isn't. I'm supposed to go buy a new device that works with the reader. Sorry, nope. They changed something that made my stuff stop working so now I'm going to switch to another provider. Was great while it lasted.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

We were looking for a simple way of processing our credit card charges and someone mentioned Square had a very easy to use desktop application that worked well for "card not present" type charges. It is an easy to use format, unfortunately, it's what happens next that is really just beyond belief. My company has been in business for over 35 years and sells nearly exclusively to the wholesale trade. Our customers are known to us, so it is extremely rare for us to have a chargeback or any issues at all with the charges we process.

For some reason when we began using Square it was only about a week before they put our account on hold and requested a bunch of additional info. They say that there were "security related issues" that required the additional info they requested (3 months bank statements, government ID, copies of invoices, a description of our product and info about our presence on the web, etc.) so we sent the info and waited, seeing them process over $65,000 of our charges without depositing any of this money into our bank account.

When I found out they were holding up this money it was a Saturday morning, but Square's customer service department is closed on weekends so it was another three days before I was finally able to get through to ask what was going on, and even then there was nothing concrete they could tell me about why our money was being held up. We provided the documents they requested and finally about 10 days after the hold began our funds were again being deposited. Things ran fairly smoothly for the following week and then we received the same notice we had received earlier and once again our charges were being processed (withdrawn from customers bank accounts) but not deposited in our account. Once again a vague "security issue" was the alleged reason for the hold and once again the very same list of documents (bank statements, etc.) were requested.

When I was finally able to reach a real person at Square they had been holding our money for 10 days and the total this time was over $75,000. I told them it was incompetent of them to keep requesting the same documents we had already provided but the CS person said a "different group" was reviewing our account this time. This is nothing more than Square's attempt to make a little more money off the float sited into our bank account. We have had no security issues, no chargebacks, no complaints from customers, it is all just a made up fabrication by Square. We have filed complaints with multiple different government agencies at this point but while we wait for one of them to act and get these scamsters shut down, let me tell you this is not a place you want to go.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I sent $$ to my son, but I used an old number. Someone new has that number now and they happily claimed my cash without any trouble. Customer service recommends that I ask the lucky recipient to please give it back. Beware! A wrong number could cost you, and Square Cash will take no action to help!

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

My daughter and I just started using cash (Square). We have sent each other money a few times. However, this time $400 was sent to me and it says that I need to verify information to receive my money. I put ALL my information in (name, full social, date of birth) and then it says they need a picture of my driver's license to move forward. With hesitation and frustration, I attempted to scan my driver's license. I allowed it to take a picture of the front of my DL then it says to scan the back.

Well, I attempted to do this for about 45 mins and it wouldn't take the picture. It keeps freezing. I emailed support several times, no response. I attempted to call but if you dont have code it doesnt let you speak to anyone. I searched online how to get the code and it just took me in circles. The only thing you can do is email. So I tell the sender (my daughter) to just cancel. It says she cant cancel or it will take several days for sender to get their money back. This is horrible. I will never use this app again and will make sure I let everyone know about my experience.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

Like almost everything, they started very well... now it's a very bad company. I have an animal rental company for parties. One of my clients, after I made the event, reported that he had not done the event. We provide all the documents that certified the realization of the party. Square, withdrew the funds from my business account and informed me that they were in hold (the funds were withdrawn). After two months I was informed that the customer's bank had given the reason to his client and therefore my company lost the complaint. They're really nothing professional. I will cancel the account.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I've had a Square reader for many, many years... Since they first came out, I'd imagine. I don't have access to the e-mail address they have on file as I don't use it too often and have never had trouble with anything. I realized a few days ago that I haven't received my deposits for some transactions in September, so I logged into the actual website versus the mobile app. They said my account wasn't verified (been using it for at least 6 years) and it tried to get me to link a debit card. I had no problem doing this, but when doing so, it said I would receive an e-mail link to verify. I had an old Excite e-mail that I started in 1996 and no longer had access to, so there was no way to verify.

I tried to update to my current e-mail address that I've had for several years, but it would not allow me without verification of my old one via a link. There was no option to verify by mobile number (secure code) which is on file or by any other means. I tried to contact them, but it said my account wasn't able to use their phone service and I should e-mail. I googled the number and called, but I was not able to speak to anyone without having a predetermined code. As a last resort, I filled out the form and stated I did not have access to the email on file and asked if they could call me at the mobile number on file instead. I listed it again in case they were not able to view. This was nearly a week ago and I've heard nothing. They still show my balance and they're holding it. I have absolutely no way to get it out via bank transfer, check, etc. I have no idea what to do and they won't respond!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

I had Square for a few years now. I never had a problem with them. I randomly received a email saying my account has been deactivated because of I'm a high-risk and any funds in my account will be held for 90 days or longer. What's crazy is I hardly use Square and only use it's twice in November. Luckily I didn't have any money being process at the time. Customer service is no help. They just make you really run in circles.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

I sell an innocuous health supplement - just ONE - I am a nascent company and unfortunately placed my trust in Square payments as an option to PayPal so my customers could pay smoothly online with credit cards. Out of the blue, Square deactivated my account - for no reason - and even worse, there was NO WAY to contact them except via email and expect a response back in "1 to 3 days." They insist on a "customer code" that you must get from the website in order to have what seems to be a privilege to talk to them on the phone. But because my account was "permanently deactivated", I was not even eligible for a code, and so shoved to the email only contact category. WOW. Talk about being screwed, and with my business and money.

This is UNACCEPTABLE. I will be writing everywhere how horrible this company is. They are based in San Fransisco, CA - I am wondering if their targeting me for deactivation is POLITICAL. I am very suspicious of the way they are running this company. I feel there is corruption behind them. You just don't treat people like this. They either need to change drastically or be shut down. Seems they're getting too big and arrogant for their own good.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

My company has mobile reps who do about $1k a day in sales and require a mobile reader for card transactions. While Square is easy to setup and use, the company is impossible to deal with if there's a problem. Why was my account canceled after just 9 days? I'll probably never know because the only way to contact a person is to log in and get a code, but when your account has been canceled there's no way to log in. Email can take days/weeks due to Square's epically horrible customer service. This isn't the year 2000 -- as I have quickly learned, there are other mobile solutions that actually want your business. Clearly Square does not.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I used to rave about Square as I thought that they were the wave of the future and recommended them to so many people. However, suddenly my account is frozen, funds not deposited and I can't get in touch with anyone for days. Since, they don't have a phone number that works, or you can't call without a code, or can't call at all based on your account. I finally find a number and the girl doesn't know anything. I have to call back as they are on West Coast Time and a billion dollar company does not have 24 hour customer service so I have to wait until 1 PM to call again on the East Coast. Something changed on the dashboard and demanded a debit card to go with my account. I filled out the information and thank goodness took a screenshot since this information has now disappeared from their system.

I finally get in touch again, even though they were supposed to contact me, with them and they accuse me of owing them money. It is a huge amount, over $20,000 dollars in which I am not affiliated with this company, not shareholder, no an owner and not part of in any way. They have a different email address for this company's accounting department yet, they insist that it is me. I keep writing that I am not affiliated with this company. This is fraud. Can we resolve this? Contact that company's accounting department to figure out which is what they have in their records. However, they insist it is me, and the CASE IS CLOSED. No way to talk to anyone with half a brain, no more calls, only emails to robots who say CASE CLOSED.

Now, they are holding my money from my small business. I am trying to issue refunds to my clients but they took the money and now are trying to take more money from my account in which the funds were NOT DEPOSITED. SQUARE STOLE THEM. SQUARE SUCKS. SQUARE = FRAUD. This is extremely frustrating, upsetting and a terrible experience. I want to take them to court. I want to resolve this and it appears millions of other Americans are having the same frustrating experiences and challenges with this giant company.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I have used Square for years with absolutely zero problems. I never received not even one chargeback. All of a sudden, they send me an e-mail telling me they are terminating my account effective immediately due to "Transactions associated with high-risk activity." This couldn't be further from the truth. I run an I.T. consulting firm and my clients rely on me for sound I.T. advice and solutions. I keep my clients happy and have never once had a problem. This company will leave you in a lurch at a moment's notice without warning. I now process through another company who has no problem with us being an I.T. consulting firm.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

After receiving a payment from a customer, and waiting for 7 days for money to be transferred to my bank account which never happened, I called customer service and it took me 2.5 hours of waiting time to get to someone on the joke only to tell me that my bank information wasn’t active even though I’ve received payments before and had no issues. I was told that I had to set up my bank account again and it was going to take 5-7 days and then they can attempt to transfer the money again. No one contacted me or sent an email or anything to notify me that there was no bank information on my account anymore. It led to me having to refund the money and lose a customer because we were not able to perform the work needed when contracted to do so. When I was on the phone with Antoinette she was completely useless and offered no help whatsoever.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

I made a purchase for a friend using my credit card, the vendor used Square. Now every time I use a vendor that uses Square with that credit card Square sends a receipt to my friend! It isn't anyone's business where I shop or what I buy. Plus why does Square have my credit card information stored!!!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

My first transaction went fine. The second one Square asked questions for verification. I sent all the documents they requested. Next day I got a letter say my account is denied and my funds are being held... I was looking for a PayPal alternative. Square was recommended from a few different sites. They are definitely not a alternative. Guess I'll start searching again.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

When my husband & I purchased new cell phones 2 days ago, he could not transfer his old Square account onto his new phone, so he created a new account. He selected a new account through Google Gmail along with a new password. Then he made a very small credit card transaction with 2 different credit cards to make sure the system was making the correct deposits into our linked checking account.

The deposits were "verified", but the amounts from the credit cards were never deposited in our account. Square customer service told him that the email he selected was used by 2 other users, one in Canada & one in Germany & was now "flagged" as a problem. The Square agent told him if he wanted the situation resolved, Square would get their "tech support" team to delete the bad email file at the cost of $200. A friend who works in computers told my husband that was a steep cost for pushing a delete button. My husband is now working with PayPal, who have customer service agents you can understand on the phone. Beware of Square!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

Same as everyone else on here. We run a legitimate business and have a web design and development company helping people with online advertising and creating an online presence. We consistently do between 1000 - 5000 per day in revenue and all of sudden Square decided to shut our account down and hold funds. It's crazy and working with this company will bankrupt you or put you out of business. We should all get an attorney and start a class action lawsuit for damages that this company has caused. Against the American business owner. They apparently process $37 Billion per year. That has to be a good settlement for some lawyer and the rest of the business owners. Honestly more disappointed and heartbroken than anything. Being a business owner is hard enough but getting screwed by this company is just icing on the cake. I hope someone sues them for the damages they have caused.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

Made the mistake of giving my credit card number to a health care provider in NY who, for reasons I am not capable of understanding, uses "Square" or "Square Up" or whoever they really are for processing. The worst. And once they have your credit card number, they "save" it and you can't get it out of their files, so may need to do what it now seems I may have to do -- contact your issuer and have new card with new number issued. If you must give a credit card number to someone who processes through them, make sure it's a card with a very low $ limit.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

Ripped me off $462 of my disability money. I sent two transactions which they told me went through successfully. Days went by neither account received their money. So I signed onto my Square account and they had deactivated my account for no reason and was told they are holding my money for 180 days. This money is my social security income I used to make a transaction!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

Square is horrible. Deposited over 50k in total transactions then had 2 deposits same day from clients and get flagged. Sent in requested docs and got accused of fraud. They’re the fraudulent ones. Now they are holding my clients’ money and holding up job. Do not use them.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

I accepted a payment through two transactions in the amount of $4675 via credit card for the first time ever with Square's payment services. While awaiting deposit, I was informed that "verification" was required. I submitted supporting documents, including a copy of my government issued ID, an invoice for the transaction, and linked my bank account during this process. I called Square's customer service line, and a young woman assured me that all of the info I had provided was plenty, She assured me that verification would be complete soon, and I would have my deposit from this credit card transaction. (Please be aware that I also incurred a fee of 3.5% of the total, plus 1% for a same day deposit.) After speaking to the woman, later in the day, I received an email from Square, stating that I had violated the Terms of Service, and my account would be deactivated.

Adding insult to injury, I was informed via this email that they would further be holding my funds for 90 days. I was given no as to how I had violated their terms of service, nor was I given any avenue of recourse. It seemed to be a simple "out of luck" situation. I could not even get anyone on the phone, because the "customer number" they give you, only led to a recording, explaining that my account was in violation, and that my funds would be held for the duration mentioned in the email.

The recording said I could contact Square, however, they gave no means of contact or email, only a link to a FAQ section on their site, with a link to a copy of their terms of service. I read these carefully, and considerately, and cannot find where I am in violation of their terms. I wasn't given any chance to explain myself, or correct whatever might have been a mistake on my verification forms. I would just like my money that I earned from this company, and I do not think it is fair or legal that they hold my funds until December 31st or 90 days. I've filed complaints with the BBB & the FTC, but am hoping that I ACTUALLY even get to see my money at some point. If anyone has had any luck in recovering their funds, please contact me or comment.

Square Company Information