2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

4.0/5 (701 ratings)
Shop Now on Rydeshopper
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About Volkswagen Passat

The Volkswagen Passat is a large 4-door coupe that's marketed as a family car. Read more Volkswagen reviews to learn about other models.

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Volkswagen Passat Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Volkswagen Passat?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Volkswagen Passat?

Original review: May 31, 2021

Being a senior citizen I have had without exaggeration at least 50 cars. The Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL was the best car I've ever owned. When Diesel Gate first came out I thought I'm not doing anything I'm keeping the car. Well Volkswagen made me an offer I could not refuse. I drove that car for 5 years for absolutely free. We took the money and ended up with an Audi Q5 which has been a gem and I love it but it is not my favorite car. I am so sorry to hear all the other Passat owners were having issue upon issue as our Passat never had one lick of trouble. If I could find that very car today I would buy it without question.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2021

My opinion about my Volkswagen Passat 2007 Rline: Generally the car is overwhelming. Everything is great when we consider a car from a 2007 still running on such harsh terrain like Libyan land and crashed roads With ease Even if the car parts is little expensive though. But the Passat is super great choice for families such as mine. Everyone can enjoy the the sedan car luxury in cheap and flexible way.

Get buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2020

I bought a brand new Volkswagen Passat and had nothing but problems. Electrical issues, and motor burned up on window and now EPC light on and Check engine light on and only has 45k miles on it. Best advice is don’t do it. I feel this car has been a lemon from day 1. I would not recommend this car to anyone.

Original review: July 4, 2020

My German built Passat 2.0 TDI DSG is now 18 months old with 10,000 km on the odometer. Have not returned to the dealership even once because I've had zero problems. The Passat's positive attributes include comfort, and being nice to drive due to the torquey engine, smooth gearbox, well weighted steering & brakes. Controls are logical, the instruments clear, and the LED headlights bright. The interior accommodates four adults, the trunk is large and regularly shaped, you get spare wheel and not a useless puncture repair kit, build quality and interior finish are best in class.

This Passat TDI was purchased post-diesel-gate, it produces a genuine 44mg NOx/km (a minimal amount) and the highway fuel economy (55mpgUS / 4.3 litre/100km) is the best of any car I've driven, better than even small sub-compacts. City driving consumption is approximately double that figure, the 66 litre fuel tank is good for over 500 miles. Some nice touches include heated front seats, headrests which adjust forward & back, door mirror dips when reverse is selected, remote opening/closing of windows from remote, trunk lid springs-up when remotely opened, but best of all must be the adoptive cruise control which works very well and rarely needs to be over-ridden.

There are of course a few areas for improvement. The back seat does not fold down low enough meaning the pass-through from the trunk is restricted. There are auto wipers & headlights, but no auto dim function. The only really annoying issues I have discovered are; it appears VW has designed-in an obstruction in the sump which prevents the insertion of an oil suction pipe through the dipstick tube, this and the subterranean location of the oil filter mean it's necessary to put the car on a lift, and remove the lower panel to perform a simple oil and filter change. Will this discourage frequent oil changes, a must have for long trouble-free engine life?

Another longer term concern is the large number of engine components and fasteners manufactured from low grade black recycled plastic which becomes brittle with age leading to lots of problems starting around year eight or nine, sooner when the car is owned in hot locations such as Texas. Best not to keep this car too long!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

So I purchased a 2014 Passat TDI back in OCT 2019 which was one from the big buy out after the diesel gate fiasco. Since then, I've been in the dealership every month of owning this car. Nov 2019 went in to change the NOX sensor. Dec 2019 the O2 sensor failed, the didn't have the part so had to return to have it replaced in Jan 2020. I didn't pay anything because it was all covered under the emissions modification warranty. However just recently (Feb 2020) I went to fill up and was unable to because the fuel was spill out of the tank since it just kept shutting off the gas station pump.

Went to the dealership (Again!) and it turns out a couple components failed related to the fuel tank that need to be changed and is not covered under the warranty. Customer relations and the dealership said the fuel tank is covered but not the components and that it would have been if the car was 4 years/ 80,000 km. Now the first owner only had the vehicle for 3 years when it was resold to VW and sat in a lot for about 2 years. The emissions modification was done in Aug 2019 and I got it with 38,000 km+. The components ARE related to the fuel tank!! because without it you can't fill up and the car one huge expensive paper weight!!! I ended up paying $455.00 +tax just 4 months into ownership for something that should fail like this in the first place!!. I wanted to own a VW for a long time especially a TDI but man I'm really regretting this purchase and mow just looking forward to getting rid of it!!! I'm done and recommend you stay clear of VW TDI!!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

Purchased a used 2013 Passat with low miles in 2017. Shortly after buying we notice an odor that started smelling like crayons. The smell got worse to the point that we could not drive the car. I called Volkswagen and advised them of the strange smell making us sick. They advised me to take the car the dealer and they would have engineers do a mold test on it. So weeks later the test was done and I was given the statement the mold was at acceptable levels. I asked Volkswagen what that level was considering it was making us sick.

Volkswagen immediately changed their tune and became very rude and defensive. The do not care one bit about the consumer and their cars after they are purchased. I am concerned this manufacturer is producing cars that are harmful to people. We are stuck with a car we can’t drive and now have to try to resolve on our own.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

I purchased a VW Passat and have placed nearly 200,000 kilometers on it. I compared it to the Honda Accord and Subaru Legacy. The VW beats these two vehicles hands down. They are quite reliable, require very little maintenance, are solidly built vs the vehicles I compared it to. I am quite pleased with this car and would highly recommend them.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

Suspension is stiff when you hit a bump. Wipers could be improved for heavy rains. All in all it's been a responsive car to drive, great fuel efficiency and looks. Interior design is very nice and handles well.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

I like my 2016 Passat, because it has some nice features. However the tire pressure goes down every season and the parts need to be fixed way too often. I should not have to fix a car made in 2016. Especially a car that has been maintained with oil changes, etc.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

The roomy interior allows ample space for comfort. There is plenty of leg room in the back to transport a basketball player. "Six 6-body mafia trunk" allows for lots of luggage, and we inserted a large storage bin for emergency supplies, to fill the space we could not reach. Seat warmers front & back are an appreciated luxury, along with the settable temperature control, which can be adjusted separately for passenger and driver if desired. Wonderfully responsive braking and maneuvering with a tight turning radius make this car a joy to drive. The transmission is smooth and silent.

The excellent backup camera, perimeter alarms, and flashing blind spot alerts add safety and a sense of security. Beyond these safety features, the passenger compartment is equipped with steel reinforced top & side bars as well as wrap around air bags/curtains to assure passenger safety. Our turbo diesel model was getting a smashing 42 mpg, however California recalled those; our replacement gasoline engine delivers only around 29 mpg, and this is my only point of dissatisfaction.

Volkswagen Passat Company Information