Volkswagen Passat
Based on 157 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

Volkswagen Passat

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: July 24, 2017

321 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: July 24, 2017

The reason for my review is due to Takata Airbags in my 2013 Volkswagen Passat. I went to Select Automotive after having issues with my car mom had bought and paid for. This car was a Cadillac CTS that kept getting water in the sunroof causing my car to flood. I sold that car and went to Select Automotive to get a car I had looked at online. When I got there the sales manager had lied to me about the amount of money I need to put down. I had told them two to three thousand down. I ended up putting down four. I had no choice because I had already sold my other car. Two months after the purchase I received a letter from Volkswagen concerning the air bags. I call Select Automotive and tried to see what I needed to do. I received no response back.

After talking with a friend in the car business I was told to check my Carfax to see if it was noted up there. I did that and there is no notification of any recalls on this car. I was told that the Carfax could have been done before the recall. This issue when I went back online to check has been going on for awhile. I really feel like this company sold me a car that is unsafe. I'm scared to death when I'm out driving to and from work of getting hit and not surviving. I'm a single parent on a fixed income with disability so I can't afford to just go and get another vehicle and I can't afford to let it be repoed and have a blemish on my credit. I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place and I don't know what to do. What are my options with this vehicle?

Original review: July 9, 2017

I bought my 2013 certified Volkswagen Passat on 4/2/2016 with approximately 42,000 miles on the odometer. I did my research for almost a year, and the prices of Volkswagens had suffered from the "Dieselgate" scandal which I saw as a buying opportunity. My car is an SE which has the tried and true 2.5 L, 5 cylinder engine. the engine has been called anemic, but I'm 52 years old anyway, and it certainly has enough power for me. I have been a lifelong Honda owner (and I keep them forever), so this purchase was a real shift for me.

I am pleased to say that I have been thrilled with my purchase. Beside oil changes and a front end alignment at 70,000 miles, I have had to replace two external light bulbs and a cabin air filter. This car has been far less expensive to maintain than any of my Honda products, and I have owned quite a few, seven to be exact. Each time that I visit the dealership (Quirk VW in Manchester, NH), they send me a text with a video that details the condition of my car and the repairs that they are making and suggesting. I could not be more pleased and am thankful that the previous owner of my vehicle leases his cars and sees the need to update his vehicle every three years.

I tend to be a very conscience owner and tend to take very good care of my cars, but this vehicle has honestly required very little from me from a maintenance standpoint. I would readily purchase another Volkswagen Passat in a heartbeat and encourage others to do the same after completing their research regarding the right vehicle for them and their family.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: June 14, 2017

This is my second Volkswagen vehicle. My first car was a 2008 Jetta. I was forced to trade it in because the air conditioner wasn't functioning properly. I was very pleased with my purchase of the 2013 Passat at 64,000 mile "certified pre owned" vehicle I purchased in 2015. Until the summer of 2016 when the air conditioner stopped working yet again... New vehicle same problem. When I called corporate for assistance I got none.

So I paid the 250 deductible for repair. The dealership suggested I replace the airbag as it has been recalled. I agree of course, only to receive my car back with an error light on. Airbag error service now. I returned it to the service department the next day. They tell me I have to pay another 250 for repair of this. Again I contact corporate office for assistance and they refuse to waive the 250 fee. I believe this to be poor customer service, this malfunction did not exist until they put their hands in it. I am currently driving around with no horn or airbag. This is a safety issue that Volkswagen doesn't care about. Their customer's safety is not their priority and this concerns me. Never again!

Original review: April 29, 2017

April 26, 2017, I leased a VW Passat from Browns on Midlothian Turnpike Richmond, VA. It left the manufacturer in March 2016. I have had to take this car to the shop countless times. In July, less than 3 months after leasing it brand new, it stalled at a railroad track, and would not move, but it sounded like something was still turning. In August, I had the oil changed at Browns Sat, and had to travel out of town Monday, just a couple days later. and ended up stranded because the engine light came on due to the car overheating. In November, the car stalled again as I was yielding to the right. Also, in November the engine light came on because of a faulty leak detection pump which had to be replaced. In February, the EPC light, engine light and battery light came on and the car made a loud, scraping sound when I turned. A few times, the car also slowed down on the interstate.

On the last visit in March 2017 VW sent me to the Ourisman VW service department located in Bethesda, MD. They had the car for a week, stated they were unable to find the cause of the EPC light, engine and battery light coming on which accompanied the noise I heard under the hood and while turning. They also noted the EPC, engine and battery light were not on. However, I had already taken a picture of all three on. They were still on when I dropped it off.

In addition, the Ourisman male rep I paid $15 to for the loaner who tried to get me to sign the car releasing it to me stood in front of me as I got up to leave. I told him he was in my way and needed to get out of my way. Afterwards, his co-worker called out to him and he moved.

Frustrated after having another VW dealer tell me they could not find anything wrong, I had my daughter remove the license plates, and I left the vehicle with the Ourisman dealer. My daughter and I gathered our items from the car and walked up the street to wait for a cab to the train station to travel 2 hours back home. At this time I was in a lot of pain, had ankle braces on both ankles and had to walk with two canes. A few days after returning, I returned the license plates to the Department of Motor Vehicles.

Minutes after leaving the car at Ourisman, I ran into a non-VW mechanic, explained the issues I had experienced with this car, and he said they all sounded like transmission issues. He also stated if the computer was not picking it up, the computer was defective. None of the VW service departments I visited ever had a clue why my car was experiencing these issues. They kept telling me the car was fine, and left it at that so I left the car with them.

VW initially offered 10% down on another car. Later, they offered to replace the car as if I would ever trust a VW car or VW car dealer again. I want my money back in addition to the cab fares, train fares, bus fares, and lost wages as a result of their negligence. They showed no regard for my life. They showed no regard for my children's lives. I suggest they drive their families around in that car as is and see if they would like another VW. I spoke to a rep at a Virginia law office in Manassas and she suggested I go back and pick it up because according to her. I don't know if it still has the same problem or not when I specifically stated the Ourisman service department stated there was nothing to fix because they could not find anything wrong. No problem. One thing about those tables THEY ALWAYS TURN.

Original review: March 20, 2017

I am from Canada. I bought my 2013 Passat TDI from Luther Westside VW, in Minnesota. I purchased the vehicle from salesperson Helton **, who I have to say is a con man working at an OEM dealer. While negotiating the vehicle price, I mentioned to Helton ** that I will be importing the vehicle into Canada and I wanted to make sure I will have warranty. The vehicle was purchased used. I am the second owner. But the car only had maybe 8,000 miles on it. Helton ** assured me that if I have any issues with the vehicle that I will have to do is bring the car to the nearest dealership in the US and I can have any issues resolved.

About a year later at around 25,000 miles I had my first turbo failure. I tried going to local dealers in Canada and they all said that the VW is a US car and I do not have a warranty in Canada. I then contacted a US dealer and they then told me that since my car has been imported into a foreign country that my warranty is VOID!!! Furious to hear this I then called Helton ** and told him what was going on and he proceeded to tell me that it's not his problem and he will not be able to do anything about it. I told him that I am going to ship my car back to him and he can fix it to which he replied that his dealership will be giving me the bill for repairs.

It's pretty sad that a VW DEALER would do this to a customer who buys a car for $28K cash. Since the turbo failed I have also had my adblue heater fail, adblue pump fail, all sway bar end links fail several times on each corner, the exhaust flap fail, and the reason I am writing this review is because my turbo now failed for a second time and because of Helton ** and his con job and will also have to pay for this out of pocket, as I do not qualify for the extended turbo warranty on this vehicle.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Volkswagen?

Original review: Feb. 7, 2017

We own a 2013 Passat Diesel. Best car for the price we ever owned. Until we learned about the diesel scam. The car is fully owned, garage kept and only has 8,000 miles. We began filing the online claim only to have the rules change midstream so I tried to go back to an earlier page in the claim to make a correction. VW will not allow that. VW told me on the phone to "just file it incorrectly...." So I filed a paper claim and mailed it early in Dec 2016. And waited.

We called a month later and were told that they have the paper claim but won't process it until I completed the online form (what?). So they agreed to delete the online form to allow the paper form to be processed. And waited. I called again recently and was told they have the paper form, they have yet to delete the online form, and I should "trust VW." (What?) I again told the script reader that I am about to pay another insurance bill on the car and tag renewal. She said "If you choose to continue to pay insurance on a car that just sits there, that's up to you." (What?)

We told her that the car must be insured, in order to have legal tags, in order to drive the car back to the dealer whenever I finally get a notice from VW. She just could not understand that. So that tells you what we are dealing with. They won't process my paper claim, because of the existing start of the online claim, which is wrong and won't let me correct it, and they won't delete the online claim to allow the paper claim to move forward. Again, the girl could not grasp that circle of frustration.

I asked them "if I consider keeping the car, I would like to drive a similar car that has had the modification. How do I arrange that?" She said "It can't happen. You must trust our engineers." (What?) So here we sit, and wait. If you ever appear to get upset with them, they hang up on you, and they always give you false names. I asked one gentleman who said his name is Jacque to spell it. What a funny response I got from that script reading clown. But they win. I sit here losing money by the day, and they laugh at me. So I have to get this off of my chest. Thanks for this outlet.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2017

2013 Passat TDI SEL - First off, the car is nice to drive, gets terrific mileage (40mpg+ regularly), and can fit adults in the backseat. HOWEVER, all the money you save with the TDI is offset by the SUPER high cost of maintenance and repairs, even for known trouble spots. The most expensive maintenance items will be the tranny oil change on the DSG tranny - IT MUST BE DONE, there is no getting around this. IT WILL FAIL if not regularly changed out with the maintenance schedule. $600+ at most dealerships and independent repair shops.

The adblue heater WILL FAIL (it has actually be modified and is so prevalent that there is a "hack" to trick the sensor into thinking it is working) at a cost of $1200. VW extended the warranty on this part (finally) to 120,000 miles. The Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) is also a maintenance part (they start looking at it at 120,000 miles) that is also a very expensive repair and cannot be cleared out like a semi's can, but needs actual replacement once the soot load gets above a certain percentage (not to mention causing back-pressure on the exhaust).

Other weak points: the water pump ($1200+ repair easily, since they usually have to replace the timing belt at the same time since it gets radiator fluid all over it). The turbo. VW turbos have been prone for years and years to going out (on both gas and diesel) and they still do. VW did extend the warranty on some, so check if yours is covered. All the money you save on mileage is offset by the super high cost of maintenance and repairs (not to mention the $4000 to $5000 premium spent buying the car in the first place). ALL THIS IS (OF COURSE) OFFSET by VWs cheating on the emissions. My car is scheduled for buyback, so maybe I'll stick with something that is not as high in maintenance or in cost of repairs for my next vehicle.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2016

I purchased a used 2015 Passat in June 2016. It had 24K miles. I test drove the car, mentioned that I felt something minor with the brakes and/or rotors and a few other concerns, and signed the papers. An appointment was scheduled for the following week to have the maintenance done to the car. I drove the car over the weekend and immediately realized that there was definitely something going on with the brakes and noticed that the car seemed to have issues with the struts. I dropped the car off for service as scheduled, picked it up, things seemed to be fine until a few days later. SAME problems. I scheduled another appointment and was assured nothing wrong with the car and that it "operates like other cars like it."

Before I even made the first payment I had taken this car to be serviced twice and still no difference. Before the second payment, my car has now began making a squealing noise, obviously the brakes, when pulling off. I have to schedule yet another appointment to again have this looked at. Over the past 20 years I have owned a Honda Prelude, Chevrolet Cavalier, Trailblazer, Tahoe, and Avalanche, Acura RL, Dodge Charger and even a 96 Passat. NOT ONE of those cars made any kind of noises while driving them. Not one!

This 2015 Volkswagen Passat on the other hand is the newest car in the parking lot at work. It is the only Volkswagen in the parking lot at work and it is the ONLY car in the parking lot at work that sounds like squeaky the train when it leaves the parking lot every day. This is embarrassing and unacceptable. A coworker asked to ride with me to a company lunch last week and was impressed with my car until we actually began moving! The car squeaked all the way out of the parking lot and down the street. The front of it bounced when going over dips in the highway. Then when I came to a stop it sounded and felt as if the brakes were coming through the floor! Also, there is a tapping or rattling coming from the inside back driver side that I have yet to identify what it is. Extremely annoying!!!

I asked if the car had ever been wrecked and it hasn't. So either this is a poorly made Passat or someone is not doing what should be done when I take this car into service. Being that the car is under warranty I do not see what the problem would be with putting on new struts, brakes and rotors. I still have my 2006 Dodge Charger and it has over 235,000 miles and has NEVER made a sound like this 2015 Volkswagen! Right now when I get in my Dodge and pull off the only sound you hear is the engine! No rattling on the inside, no noises pulling off, grinding, and no squeaking. A few of the VW service reps told me it's normal for the brakes to make the grinding noise in the mornings or after the car has sat for a while because the brakes on VW are metal on metal. That is bull!!!

None of my other cars have ever done that! That means they have apparently put cheap brakes, rotors, and struts on this car! And now the steering wheel shakes when I'm on the highway!!! Also, the CD player now makes a funny noise when you start the car. I contacted VW corporate to no avail. This is supposed to be a German made car. I'm trading this car in ASAP!! I have owned a Passat before and this one is NOTHING like the quality of cars that I have previously owned. Even that Cavalier I owned in the early 90's rode much better than this 2015 Passat.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2016

I leased my VW Passat in 2013 with the auspice from the salesman that the car was durable and cost effective. Well my first year with the vehicle was uneventful. My trouble started on the second and now third year. The car has had numerous recalls that I gave up following on them. Not to mention the emissions scandal that just made me lose all faith in this company. Well just last month as I was cruising down the freeway, my vehicle lost complete power and started billowing blue smoke. When I took it to the VW TDI specialist (I stopped going to the VW Stealership), I was told the Turbocharger exploded and to replace it I will have to fork out $3000. I have owned numerous cars and have never been subjected to such conmanship. I will never even look at the direction of a VW dealership. A car with less than 70k miles which has been serviced religiously by the stealership should not blow its Turbo.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2016

I bought a 2013 VW Passat in October 2015. This is my very first foreign car. I regret ever buying this car. I'm thinking since it's a 2013 I will have no problems and as long as I keep up with my maintenance I should be good. But I've literally had nothing but problems with this car. I had to replace my driver's side door because of a broken latch. I had to replace the cooling fan. The brakes they never seem quite tight despite being replaced, etc etc etc. I haven't even had the car a year yet.

Unfortunately I'm under lease with this car so I'm pretty much stuck with it. And now my check engine light is on. I'm praying to god it's just a sensor or something simple. I can't afford to keep getting this car fix and I can't afford to not have a car because I have to get to work, school and everywhere else. I'm dreading the thought of taking it to the shop because every time I do I have to come out of my pocket $600 plus. And I'm still paying on this car. If I could do it all over I would've ran the other way and not given this car a second glance. VW needs to buy back all their cars not just the diesel models because these cars are poorly designed.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2016

Does anyone know if the air conditioning unit would have anything to do with the car stalling or the fuel being just below reserve fuel level? I am trying to narrow down what the problem might be. This car has been in the shop because it would not start. After it was towed to the dealer, they started it right up. Yesterday I was driving and it was in the red. As I was on my way to the service station to get gas it stalled (it didn't show empty). It still would not start at the pump. I got gas and it stated it right away.

The next day I started it up and I forgot to turn off the air before turning off the car when I parked. And so the air came on as I turned the ignition. As I left the drive way it stalled. (I had 1/2 a tank of fuel). I coasted down hill to a parking lot. Waited about 2 minutes and it started right up with no other issues so far. Does anyone have a clue as to what might be the problem. THANK YOU.

Original review: June 26, 2016

I purchased this new Passat 5/5/16. I drive for Uber and noticed I seem to be going through a lot of gas so I began logging mpg per tank with each fill up. I started logging mpg 5/24/16. Volkswagen advertises 25 city/38 hwy/29 combined. The lowest mpg per tank is 18.9 the highest 22.4!!! I took it to KMVW service, they said they drove the car a week and the car is getting 27 mpg. It is not!!! I'm continuing to log mpg until I figure out what to do! I bought this car specifically for the advertised great gas mileage. Dealership will not buy the car back or exchange it for another car. This is outrageous!

Original review: June 18, 2016

We own a 2012 VW Passat, top of the line, fully loaded. The car has been recalled five times. The fuel line to the gas tank ruptured last year. Now, the oil pump inside the engine broke and timing is off. VW blamed us for both breakdowns. Even we took best care of the car by having most of the maintenance done by VW and kept the car in the garage all the time, VW accused us of doing something to the car. Except oil changed and other maintenance outside the car, we don't even know how to touch the engine. For that, how could we abused the car? It was VW that produced a lousy car.

VW fixed the fuel line because at that time, we only have over 40 miles on it. This time, even we only have 78,000 miles on it, VW refused to fix it, by saying that we abused the car just as the fuel line. The rupture of the fuel line occurred inside the gas tank. How could we abuse that fuel line? When we called to talk with VW Case Manager and the shop, they were the most unprofessional ones. They didn't even want to negotiate with us in good faith. One of the guy even told us to take a VW credit line for the repair. For that, we will make sure to tell our large networks of friends and families to never ever buy Volkswagen again.

Original review: June 4, 2016

This car looks and feels great; my praise ends there. I bought this car new in May of 2013. At 6k miles a traction control unit went out. At 20k miles the stereo malfunctioned and pumped static through the dash tweeters at max volume until they fried. At 37k miles the temperature sensor in the AdBlue tank went out. At 38k miles the AC started having intermittent issues with blowing hot air. Then came the emissions cheats. Then came the recall notices for airbags and wiring issues. I live in Arizona and having a car with AC issues that magically seems to disappear at the dealership, then show up at mid-day in 100-degree weather, is insanity. I can wait for the buyback to go into effect. This car is an expensive nightmare. Buyer BEWARE!!

Original review: April 16, 2016

How in the world is my compressor out within a two-year period of manufacturing? Aug of 2015 I was told there was an issue. I had no problems before it went in for recall. Now I need a new compressor and big cooling fan. WTH! BS. Then they tried to charge me for a recall. And then they didn't have parts for airbag recall! Grrr. Haven't owned this car long and really wish I would have gone with a scooter. I have been through cancer and don't need this headache or financial burden. VW you gained and are about to lose a good customer within a short period of time if you don't make my family as safe as possible.

Original review: April 2, 2016

Thought we were buying a clean diesel to help the environment, NOT. Thought we were buying quality that would hold its value again, NOT. The turbo blew off the car at 50k. The door wouldn't latch close. No customer service at KarMart. Didn't want to cover it under warranty. It has depreciated so much you can't pay anyone to take it yet. You can't drive it because it is so unreliable. Volkswagen didn't care they already have your money and they continue to lie, cheat and steal as we the consumers are stuck with their crap. Buy back is a must.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2016

I purchased the Passat in April 2013 and within 3 years the car started having issues as below: 1) Climatic Control Malfunction: Climatic control malfunction issues was resolved with a lot of argument and communication with the workshop on chargeable basis. 2) Seat Massager Malfunction: I did not get it fixed as the cost of repair was high. 3) Speed Sensor Malfunction: This also was repaired on the 18th of August 2015 on chargeable basis. 4) Boot Malfunction: This problem was detected in this February of 2016, which is yet to be repaired. 5) Gear ** Malfunction: This is is the issue as of date, as per the car workshop services of VW and the cost estimate IS HUGE. Additional I have been advised that I could have a dashboard sensor issue in the future. Today I stand at a point, where I have a sparingly used vehicle with only 20k kms on and major product faults... don't know what to do!!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2016

My 2015 Passat has already been in and out of the dealership THREE times in the first year for junky craftsmanship of things like door hinges and handles. They told me it was "common with cars." Really? I owned Toyotas and Hondas for 5 years at a time without one problem?? To make matters worse they require you to schedule a one HOUR appointment to just LOOK at the door handle then come back AGAIN to have it fixed. In this case the fake metal coating on the inside door handle was peeling and was as sharp as a razor when you grasped it. NOT all that hard to "diagnose." A huge waste of my time. Don't love the car. Not happy with their service or attitude.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2016

This expensive car has been nothing but a disappointment. Just found out today from VW Customer Care that despite the fact the car is only a 2013 model, the company will do nothing to rectify my most recent system failure. I currently have NO RADIO. NO BACK UP CAMERA. NO MAP and NO GPS. As a matter of fact the entire system is dead. One of the main reasons for purchasing this model and now it is rendered completely useless. Oh, I can purchase a new system to the tune of $1800. Not happening. I only plan to drive the car long enough to see results from the other glorious VW lie--the diesel emission fraud.

Are there other issues with the car, you ask? Why yes. We've replaced the door locking mechanism. It eats tires, and before the navigation system completely died it did not work properly. We have tried 2 different dealership service centers and have called VW customer care more than several times... to no avail. This company makes faulty, overpriced, environmentally polluting pieces of junk. And this is why I warn all others: NEVER BUY A VOLKSWAGEN!!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2015

Our 09 Passat 2.0 tsi has 101, 000 and has been well taken care of since we purchased it with 20k miles. Some early repairs of a water pump, throttle body, engine coils were all done earlier than expected but the most recent issue has us very alarmed. Passat was driving great and had just recently been serviced 2000 miles ago when one day we was driving down the road at about 50 mph when the car lost power, was shaking, check engine and EPC lights came on and the car started smoking out the exhaust and it smelled of gas fumes. We was less than a miles from home so we slowly creeped to our house and parked the car till we could call VW the next day.

Next day car won't start at all (acts like it's flooded and smells like gas). Called VW and we had it towed to dealership ($200 fee). VW checked it out and said injectors were clogged but we're being covered by VW due to warranty added by VW to cover 2008-2011 2.0 tsi models for the failed injectors and manifold. This would cover this up to 120, 000 miles or 10 years according to VW. This was all news to me because I had never heard this nor had we been informed by VW.

Dealer goes on to tell me they need to clean the valves, change the oil and spark plugs but will do this for $200. They also tell me they hope when the injectors failed that it didn't cause motor damage or that will be another story. Now at this time I am trying to process all this info but now after thinking about I would like to know why I would have to pay a tow bill for a failed covered part that VW acknowledged and added an extended coverage for due to issues and I also don't understand why I need to pay for anything related to damage caused by the failed injectors?

Finally I have an extended warranty on my vehicle that is good to 125,000 but my guess is if the injectors caused damage to my engine and VW doesn't pay to fix it then I wouldn't expect my warranty company is going to pay up either because it's not their fault VW had bad injectors in the car. I will keep everyone posted but if anyone else has had this issue please let me know.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2015

I have taken my V6 Passat in several times for the same issues and the outcome is "Oh well sorry, but we can't help you". All functions stick and have long delays. When you try to move from radio to GPS or to CD etc, you get a system starting prompt that stays on the screen for several minutes at times. The backup camera stays on when the car is moving forward, the radio stays on when the car is shut off, the screen goes black occasionally, and the touch screen does not respond to your touch. This is not only a major convenience. It's unsafe. VW had the nerve to ask if I wanted a step down graded radio that they said worked properly. I did not pay for that stripped down radio. I would never buy another VW product. Our company also has a TDI diesel and we all know that story.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2015

I would like people to know I'll never purchase from Volkswagen again. After 1 year my brakes were making noises. I called the dealer. They said that they took the brake pads off and soak them in some kind of brake pads solutions and that the problem should be fixed, but it never fixed the problem. I always bought American cars, first time buying a foreign and last Volkswagen sucks! Never again and still making payments in the vehicle.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2015

Purchased 2015 VW Passat. Beautiful car, runs ok besides road noises. Problem started gapping when I disconnect my Bluetooth while I'm on a call. My radio does not function when I hit the hands free button to make the call private instead of using the Bluetooth system. I had this function in the beginning but not now. Dealer says they don't know. Nothing to be done. I'm frustrated. Any answers from anyone?

Original review: Sept. 15, 2015

2014 VW Passat still under warranty. Friday night check engine light stays on for short duration after start up. Saturday I come out of stop sign into intersection and I can't accelerate. In fact I'm SLOWLY coasting as traffic is coming at me. I'm frantically pumping the gas pedal trying to get anything to happen. No I was not hitting break, I would have stopped. No check lights came on. Finally, as though nothing occurred my gas pedal works. Took in on Monday. AV VW dealer finds nothing wrong. Says it's a fluke!!! Terrified to have my family in this car. Guess it will take my death to get them to realize issue. Alerted my family to sue VW if I'm t-boned and killed cause it will happen again. Just pray my family and others aren't harmed.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2015

I bought a 2002 VW Passat. It had 152000 miles but seemed to run fine. The alternator went out shortly after buying it. Fixed that, had a few hiccups. Took it to the VW shop. They ran diagnostics on it, said it needed a mass air flow sensor, housing spark plugs, new battery, would run just fine. They fixed a few recalled parts. Brought it home. Drove it one day, started making a noise. Didn't even make it home and it died. Found out the engine went at a 166000. Very unhappy with car and service at the shop. Whenever I can finally get it fixed I plan on selling it and will never buy or recommended a VW to anyone.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2015

I drive A LOT! I have 95000 miles on my 2013 Passat TDI. The reasoning behind all of the extra maintenance expense to the TDI was the gas mileage. The car should give you 300,000 miles without much problem - it's a diesel! Yeah right! After 60,000 miles the fuel pump blasts metal shavings all the way through my fuel system. Stranded in Kettleman City CA with my wife and 3 yr old. 1200.00 to tow car to Fresno. Rental car 350.00 for the week they need to repair the car. Dealer in Fresno informs me of the 5350.00 bill to replace the entire fuel system. VW covered it after some deliberation with the dealer.

Then at 95000 the intercooler goes out - 2300.00 more to dump into this piece of garbage that was rated so highly. I called VW and they told me to pound sand, that there was too many miles on the car. It's only 3 yrs old, these problems should not happen with any car at 3 yrs. Oh, did I say all maintenance has been done by the dealer at their prices? The passenger rear window has never worked correctly and they want to charge me another 250.00 for that since I just noticed it. Totally my fault. Buyer Beware. This car will cost you more than any benefit to the diesel.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2015

Live in Canada, and have had my 2013 VW Passat TDI for just over 2 years now. So far, so good. Following the regular maintenance schedule, but have had to source qualified diesel mechanics to service the car because my dealership experience has been very poor. I feel like I'm being screwed over when I go the VW dealership. Mileage with the diesel is exceptional. Brake wear normal. Sway bar needed tightening (under warranty). I love the look and drive quality of the car, but worry that it may not hold up over the long haul. Need to plug in during cold weather to ensure a smooth start. As a diesel, it takes longer than normal to heat up the cabin in cold temps.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2015

I purchased a V.W. Passat from the above and found them very honest to deal with. He gave me three months warranty on the car which was eight years old. A noise came in the engine and I took the car to another dealer to access the noise. He told me that it was a problem in the clutch that was common the that year of car and it would cost about €1,200 to repair. I contacted Mr ** and he said he would carry out the repairs at no cost to me. He did so and carried out another little repair that I unaware of. That to me was service over and above the call of duty. Needless to say I will be dealing with that company again.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2015

2009 VW Passat CC turbo - Driving down the highway out of nowhere my EPC, engine and battery lights came on and the car lost throttle from 70 mph to 20 mph. This has happened to me several times in the 10 months I've owned the VW and from the reviews I've read I'm not alone.

Original review: July 30, 2015

I have had numerous problems with my 2012 Passat TDI but the final is the failure of the turbo diesel. I have a high mileage but considering that I went shopping for a car that would last more than 3 years I am understandably upset. I am 10K upside down with a car that will not run and no help from VW. The cost to maintain this car can only be justified it can last longer than a gas engine. Buyer beware!

Volkswagen Passat Company Information