2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.18/5

The Volkswagen Passat is a large 4-door coupe that's marketed as a family car. Read more Volkswagen reviews to learn about other models.

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Find my match

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Find my match

Volkswagen Passat Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Volkswagen Passat?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Volkswagen Passat?

Original review: July 4, 2020

My German built Passat 2.0 TDI DSG is now 18 months old with 10,000 km on the odometer. Have not returned to the dealership even once because I've had zero problems. The Passat's positive attributes include comfort, and being nice to drive due to the torquey engine, smooth gearbox, well weighted steering & brakes. Controls are logical, the instruments clear, and the LED headlights bright. The interior accommodates four adults, the trunk is large and regularly shaped, you get spare wheel and not a useless puncture repair kit, build quality and interior finish are best in class.

This Passat TDI was purchased post-diesel-gate, it produces a genuine 44mg NOx/km (a minimal amount) and the highway fuel economy (55mpgUS / 4.3 litre/100km) is the best of any car I've driven, better than even small sub-compacts. City driving consumption is approximately double that figure, the 66 litre fuel tank is good for over 500 miles. Some nice touches include heated front seats, headrests which adjust forward & back, door mirror dips when reverse is selected, remote opening/closing of windows from remote, trunk lid springs-up when remotely opened, but best of all must be the adoptive cruise control which works very well and rarely needs to be over-ridden.

There are of course a few areas for improvement. The back seat does not fold down low enough meaning the pass-through from the trunk is restricted. There are auto wipers & headlights, but no auto dim function. The only really annoying issues I have discovered are; it appears VW has designed-in an obstruction in the sump which prevents the insertion of an oil suction pipe through the dipstick tube, this and the subterranean location of the oil filter mean it's necessary to put the car on a lift, and remove the lower panel to perform a simple oil and filter change. Will this discourage frequent oil changes, a must have for long trouble-free engine life?

Another longer term concern is the large number of engine components and fasteners manufactured from low grade black recycled plastic which becomes brittle with age leading to lots of problems starting around year eight or nine, sooner when the car is owned in hot locations such as Texas. Best not to keep this car too long!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

I purchased a VW Passat and have placed nearly 200,000 kilometers on it. I compared it to the Honda Accord and Subaru Legacy. The VW beats these two vehicles hands down. They are quite reliable, require very little maintenance, are solidly built vs the vehicles I compared it to. I am quite pleased with this car and would highly recommend them.

Get buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

Suspension is stiff when you hit a bump. Wipers could be improved for heavy rains. All in all it's been a responsive car to drive, great fuel efficiency and looks. Interior design is very nice and handles well.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

The roomy interior allows ample space for comfort. There is plenty of leg room in the back to transport a basketball player. "Six 6-body mafia trunk" allows for lots of luggage, and we inserted a large storage bin for emergency supplies, to fill the space we could not reach. Seat warmers front & back are an appreciated luxury, along with the settable temperature control, which can be adjusted separately for passenger and driver if desired. Wonderfully responsive braking and maneuvering with a tight turning radius make this car a joy to drive. The transmission is smooth and silent.

The excellent backup camera, perimeter alarms, and flashing blind spot alerts add safety and a sense of security. Beyond these safety features, the passenger compartment is equipped with steel reinforced top & side bars as well as wrap around air bags/curtains to assure passenger safety. Our turbo diesel model was getting a smashing 42 mpg, however California recalled those; our replacement gasoline engine delivers only around 29 mpg, and this is my only point of dissatisfaction.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

I like my 2016 Passat, because it has some nice features. However the tire pressure goes down every season and the parts need to be fixed way too often. I should not have to fix a car made in 2016. Especially a car that has been maintained with oil changes, etc.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

So I purchased a 2014 Passat TDI back in OCT 2019 which was one from the big buy out after the diesel gate fiasco. Since then, I've been in the dealership every month of owning this car. Nov 2019 went in to change the NOX sensor. Dec 2019 the O2 sensor failed, the didn't have the part so had to return to have it replaced in Jan 2020. I didn't pay anything because it was all covered under the emissions modification warranty. However just recently (Feb 2020) I went to fill up and was unable to because the fuel was spill out of the tank since it just kept shutting off the gas station pump.

Went to the dealership (Again!) and it turns out a couple components failed related to the fuel tank that need to be changed and is not covered under the warranty. Customer relations and the dealership said the fuel tank is covered but not the components and that it would have been if the car was 4 years/ 80,000 km. Now the first owner only had the vehicle for 3 years when it was resold to VW and sat in a lot for about 2 years. The emissions modification was done in Aug 2019 and I got it with 38,000 km+. The components ARE related to the fuel tank!! because without it you can't fill up and the car one huge expensive paper weight!!! I ended up paying $455.00 +tax just 4 months into ownership for something that should fail like this in the first place!!. I wanted to own a VW for a long time especially a TDI but man I'm really regretting this purchase and mow just looking forward to getting rid of it!!! I'm done and recommend you stay clear of VW TDI!!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

Purchased a used 2013 Passat with low miles in 2017. Shortly after buying we notice an odor that started smelling like crayons. The smell got worse to the point that we could not drive the car. I called Volkswagen and advised them of the strange smell making us sick. They advised me to take the car the dealer and they would have engineers do a mold test on it. So weeks later the test was done and I was given the statement the mold was at acceptable levels. I asked Volkswagen what that level was considering it was making us sick.

Volkswagen immediately changed their tune and became very rude and defensive. The do not care one bit about the consumer and their cars after they are purchased. I am concerned this manufacturer is producing cars that are harmful to people. We are stuck with a car we can’t drive and now have to try to resolve on our own.

Original review: April 23, 2019

I made the mistake of purchasing this money pit in 2015. I was young and wanted a sporty car and fell in love with the 2013 Passat. Little did I know I was making a 6-year long commitment to lies, one issue after another, and paying tons of money out of pocket for repairs that only seemed to start happening once my warranty ran out. The bigger mistake was not giving this piece of garbage back to VW when the offer was on the table; solely because I loved my car, did not want to go through the hassle of buying a new vehicle, and I was hoping I would not have any more issues. I opened two cases with VWOA to seek options for an extended warranty or to reverse my buyback option; both times my request was denied.

Despite that amount of issues I have with my car (I provided proof of all repairs/services) and the fact that I feel unsafe driving it, they did not care. They just care about lying to their customers for their own financial gain. After two weeks of waiting each time, they told me they're unable to assist me without a proper explanation! I have visited multiple VW forums with reviews from other Diesel model customers and they all seem to experience the same issues as me. So, clearly, there are other underlying issues with VW because there is no way so many people have exactly the same issues and it just is that the vehicle is getting old from wear and tear. I would love to know how to go about filing a lawsuit against these scumbags. They've just stolen so much money from their customers. They need to be going out of business!

Original review: April 2, 2019

So bought this 2015 VW Passat SEL TDI with 26k miles as a CPO. I have dealer services since my purchase and now my car has 52k miles. Took the dealer because I had no heat and they said my heater core is plugged and my radiator is plugged. They said the only thing covered is the heater core and I have to pay for 2 radiator flushes and the radiator. I told them no way and came back the next day with all my records and my CPO documents because they said I didn't have warranty even though I really did 2 year unlimited mileage for TDI CPO cars. I got them so far to pay for radiator now but they still say I have to pay for flushes at 200.00 a flush. So I guess all those dealers services don't mean anything especially since one was 3k miles ago.

VOLKSWAGEN of America has been a joke and no help. Colin who is worthless at Volkswagen of America told me check the website my car does not have warranty at. I go to website, screenshot it and he is like, "Oh yes you do have warranty." WTF? My car has been at the shop now for 3 weeks for this repair and have no idea a return date. STAY FAR AWAY FROM VW CPO OR NEW OR USED.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I bought a used 2012 TDI Passat with 109,000 miles on it in 2015. I changed the oil myself and other than front brakes and Stabilizer Bar Link that I replaced with Moog for under $100, we had no problems whatsoever in 90,000 miles until we sold it a few weeks ago.

Volkswagen Passat Company Information