Save on Car Repairs

Compare Quotes
1.82/5
Based on 164 reviews that contain star ratings

Volkswagen Passat

The Volkswagen Passat is a large 4-door coupe that's marketed as a family car. Read more Volkswagen reviews to learn about other models.

Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

328 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I purchased (brand new) a 2012 Volkswagen CC along with a Rust inhibiting module ($500) which was supposed to guarantee the vehicle would not rust for 10 years. It is now 6 years old and I have many rust spots on my car. After 6 months of getting the runaround, Volkswagen has decided it will fix most of the rust spots but not all, apparently only some are warranted. When trying to get an explanation for this, the dealership tells me to call Customer Service and Customer Service tells me to call the dealership. Save yourself a headache and purchase something else.

Original review: July 19, 2018

I bought a 2013 VW Passat 1 year ago with 29,000 miles and have had many issues. I have replaced done a coolant flush at 32,000 miles, replaced head gasket at 35,000 miles, replaced heater core at 37,000, replaced axle and boot at 52,000. And replaced struts at 56,000! Do NOT buy a VW!

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: June 26, 2018

This company is nothing but a bunch of crooks! My brand new Passat was recalled within a month of buying it, and I've been told that they will have it for a few months. They expect me to keep paying my $500/month car payments while they have my car. The rental car they gave me is 5 years old, and has none of the features that led me to buy my new car. This is robbery to expect someone to pay $500 a month for a car that they don't even have. After reaching out to them and playing phone tag for weeks, they've said that they aren't willing to do anything to help me.

Original review: June 21, 2018

We chose to buy a used Passat because VW has a good reputation, and I wanted plenty of luggage space. Test driving the car sealed the deal. The car fits my 6 foot 3 inch tall husband with plenty of headroom. The moon roof is a fun addition, too. I've had a great overall experience with my Volkswagon Passat Wagon. It is amazingly roomy and can carry a lot of luggage or groceries in the back. Our model has a luggage rack for additional luggage. The Passat has a quiet, smooth ride even at high speeds. VW service has always been good, although it is a bit on the expensive side. We bought our used VW Passat knowing that the radio didn't work. The station display worked, but no sound came out of the speakers. We thought it would be a simple fix, but the repair estimate was over $1,500. We've ended up listening to music on our cell phones for now.

Original review: June 13, 2018

My experience with Volkswagen Passat is pretty good. I love the stick-shift. It's like playing a video game. I would change the fact that in order to fix some things you have to take apart the stick shift. I would also change the 6 disc changer in the trunk to then glove compartment or something easier to access. I had another Passat before the one I have now, and the other one had 352,000 miles on it before it got totaled. Which means it would probably still be kicking today. I loved my old Passat and had such a great experience with it, too. Also I knew that the car could last a long time if I take care of it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Volkswagen Passat?

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

I have had the car for 2+ years, bought it used, and now it has over 69,000 mi. I've been doubling-down on maintenance, performing all recommended maintenance in 1/2 the time or frequency as recommended and the only thing that has failed is a turn signal light bulb; everything else works perfectly so far. Also, considering the 2015 VW Passat has a 1.8L EA888 Gen 3 that is a gasoline direct injection engine system like the ones used in Ford, Mazda, Hyundai, etc. it needs the back of the valves walnut blasted to extend longevity and maintain "as new" performance every now and then (40,000mi at most) a $700+ cost.

For my car to be this good, I can only surmise that it was not built on a Friday or a Monday. The maintenance interval suggested by the manufacturer are to be taken as guidance. Don't wait for something to break to fix it. Also use all original VW parts including brake pads, rotors, oil filters and VW approved oil. Your car is like your dog - loyal - but if you can't afford to take care of it then you shouldn't have it.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

We purchased our third VW vehicle, and this time got a 2015 Passat TDI because we love VW and we needed a car that was bigger than our Jetta due to our pregnancy with our third child. We also purchased this newer vehicle with low miles because we wanted a vehicle that would last and be safe for our children. Right when we got into the car the windshield wiper fluid light was on. Turns out the sensor was broken and that had to be replaced. Just two short months after we purchased this vehicle, we were driving to Utah to visit family, we were headed down the I-15 at 11 pm in fog and snow with the two kids in the back seat when all of a sudden all of the warning lights on the dashboard turn on, the power steering stopped working, the odometer, speedometer and gas gauge weren’t working anymore. So we pulled over to the side of the road and turned the car off then back on and the lights were off.

We finished our drive and the next day all the lights were on again and they wouldn’t go off. We took it to the VW dealership here in Utah and turns out it’s the ABS module. It is broken and has to be replaced. The car is less than 3 years old but has more than 36,000 miles in it so it’s not under warranty. Like I said we have only had this car for 2 months, so I called Mark Mitsubishi to find out if they would cover it since we haven’t had the car that long and they said there is nothing they will do about it. It’s out of the 30 day warranty they give on their cars and even though this is a huge safety issue and the car literally cannot be driven, they won’t do anything to back up their vehicle that they sold to my family. Since the dealership we bought it from wouldn't backup its vehicle we turned to VW.

There has been recalls for the ABS having the same issues on different years of the Passat but our specific one doesn’t have the recall. And VW won’t do anything to backup their car because it’s out of warranty with them. It doesn’t matter to them that our car that is less than three years old is not able to be driven. I feel that the ABS module should be expected to last longer in a vehicle. I feel that the quality of VW vehicles has gone downhill. Even though we have loved VW and purchased three VW vehicles, we will not be purchasing one again, the experience we have had with customer service and this vehicle has put a bad taste in our mouth. We are disappointed in the quality of this vehicle and that Volkswagen doesn’t stand behind their vehicles and own up to the fact that the ABS module should not be malfunctioning in this vehicle when it’s less than three years old!

Original review: July 24, 2017

The reason for my review is due to Takata Airbags in my 2013 Volkswagen Passat. I went to Select Automotive after having issues with my car mom had bought and paid for. This car was a Cadillac CTS that kept getting water in the sunroof causing my car to flood. I sold that car and went to Select Automotive to get a car I had looked at online. When I got there the sales manager had lied to me about the amount of money I need to put down. I had told them two to three thousand down. I ended up putting down four. I had no choice because I had already sold my other car. Two months after the purchase I received a letter from Volkswagen concerning the air bags. I call Select Automotive and tried to see what I needed to do. I received no response back.

After talking with a friend in the car business I was told to check my Carfax to see if it was noted up there. I did that and there is no notification of any recalls on this car. I was told that the Carfax could have been done before the recall. This issue when I went back online to check has been going on for awhile. I really feel like this company sold me a car that is unsafe. I'm scared to death when I'm out driving to and from work of getting hit and not surviving. I'm a single parent on a fixed income with disability so I can't afford to just go and get another vehicle and I can't afford to let it be repoed and have a blemish on my credit. I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place and I don't know what to do. What are my options with this vehicle?

Original review: July 9, 2017

I bought my 2013 certified Volkswagen Passat on 4/2/2016 with approximately 42,000 miles on the odometer. I did my research for almost a year, and the prices of Volkswagens had suffered from the "Dieselgate" scandal which I saw as a buying opportunity. My car is an SE which has the tried and true 2.5 L, 5 cylinder engine. the engine has been called anemic, but I'm 52 years old anyway, and it certainly has enough power for me. I have been a lifelong Honda owner (and I keep them forever), so this purchase was a real shift for me.

I am pleased to say that I have been thrilled with my purchase. Beside oil changes and a front end alignment at 70,000 miles, I have had to replace two external light bulbs and a cabin air filter. This car has been far less expensive to maintain than any of my Honda products, and I have owned quite a few, seven to be exact. Each time that I visit the dealership (Quirk VW in Manchester, NH), they send me a text with a video that details the condition of my car and the repairs that they are making and suggesting. I could not be more pleased and am thankful that the previous owner of my vehicle leases his cars and sees the need to update his vehicle every three years.

I tend to be a very conscience owner and tend to take very good care of my cars, but this vehicle has honestly required very little from me from a maintenance standpoint. I would readily purchase another Volkswagen Passat in a heartbeat and encourage others to do the same after completing their research regarding the right vehicle for them and their family.

Original review: June 14, 2017

This is my second Volkswagen vehicle. My first car was a 2008 Jetta. I was forced to trade it in because the air conditioner wasn't functioning properly. I was very pleased with my purchase of the 2013 Passat at 64,000 mile "certified pre owned" vehicle I purchased in 2015. Until the summer of 2016 when the air conditioner stopped working yet again... New vehicle same problem. When I called corporate for assistance I got none.

So I paid the 250 deductible for repair. The dealership suggested I replace the airbag as it has been recalled. I agree of course, only to receive my car back with an error light on. Airbag error service now. I returned it to the service department the next day. They tell me I have to pay another 250 for repair of this. Again I contact corporate office for assistance and they refuse to waive the 250 fee. I believe this to be poor customer service, this malfunction did not exist until they put their hands in it. I am currently driving around with no horn or airbag. This is a safety issue that Volkswagen doesn't care about. Their customer's safety is not their priority and this concerns me. Never again!

Original review: April 29, 2017

April 26, 2017, I leased a VW Passat from Browns on Midlothian Turnpike Richmond, VA. It left the manufacturer in March 2016. I have had to take this car to the shop countless times. In July, less than 3 months after leasing it brand new, it stalled at a railroad track, and would not move, but it sounded like something was still turning. In August, I had the oil changed at Browns Sat, and had to travel out of town Monday, just a couple days later. and ended up stranded because the engine light came on due to the car overheating. In November, the car stalled again as I was yielding to the right. Also, in November the engine light came on because of a faulty leak detection pump which had to be replaced. In February, the EPC light, engine light and battery light came on and the car made a loud, scraping sound when I turned. A few times, the car also slowed down on the interstate.

On the last visit in March 2017 VW sent me to the Ourisman VW service department located in Bethesda, MD. They had the car for a week, stated they were unable to find the cause of the EPC light, engine and battery light coming on which accompanied the noise I heard under the hood and while turning. They also noted the EPC, engine and battery light were not on. However, I had already taken a picture of all three on. They were still on when I dropped it off.

In addition, the Ourisman male rep I paid $15 to for the loaner who tried to get me to sign the car releasing it to me stood in front of me as I got up to leave. I told him he was in my way and needed to get out of my way. Afterwards, his co-worker called out to him and he moved.

Frustrated after having another VW dealer tell me they could not find anything wrong, I had my daughter remove the license plates, and I left the vehicle with the Ourisman dealer. My daughter and I gathered our items from the car and walked up the street to wait for a cab to the train station to travel 2 hours back home. At this time I was in a lot of pain, had ankle braces on both ankles and had to walk with two canes. A few days after returning, I returned the license plates to the Department of Motor Vehicles.

Minutes after leaving the car at Ourisman, I ran into a non-VW mechanic, explained the issues I had experienced with this car, and he said they all sounded like transmission issues. He also stated if the computer was not picking it up, the computer was defective. None of the VW service departments I visited ever had a clue why my car was experiencing these issues. They kept telling me the car was fine, and left it at that so I left the car with them.

VW initially offered 10% down on another car. Later, they offered to replace the car as if I would ever trust a VW car or VW car dealer again. I want my money back in addition to the cab fares, train fares, bus fares, and lost wages as a result of their negligence. They showed no regard for my life. They showed no regard for my children's lives. I suggest they drive their families around in that car as is and see if they would like another VW. I spoke to a rep at a Virginia law office in Manassas and she suggested I go back and pick it up because according to her. I don't know if it still has the same problem or not when I specifically stated the Ourisman service department stated there was nothing to fix because they could not find anything wrong. No problem. One thing about those tables THEY ALWAYS TURN.

Original review: March 20, 2017

I am from Canada. I bought my 2013 Passat TDI from Luther Westside VW, in Minnesota. I purchased the vehicle from salesperson Helton **, who I have to say is a con man working at an OEM dealer. While negotiating the vehicle price, I mentioned to Helton ** that I will be importing the vehicle into Canada and I wanted to make sure I will have warranty. The vehicle was purchased used. I am the second owner. But the car only had maybe 8,000 miles on it. Helton ** assured me that if I have any issues with the vehicle that I will have to do is bring the car to the nearest dealership in the US and I can have any issues resolved.

About a year later at around 25,000 miles I had my first turbo failure. I tried going to local dealers in Canada and they all said that the VW is a US car and I do not have a warranty in Canada. I then contacted a US dealer and they then told me that since my car has been imported into a foreign country that my warranty is VOID!!! Furious to hear this I then called Helton ** and told him what was going on and he proceeded to tell me that it's not his problem and he will not be able to do anything about it. I told him that I am going to ship my car back to him and he can fix it to which he replied that his dealership will be giving me the bill for repairs.

It's pretty sad that a VW DEALER would do this to a customer who buys a car for $28K cash. Since the turbo failed I have also had my adblue heater fail, adblue pump fail, all sway bar end links fail several times on each corner, the exhaust flap fail, and the reason I am writing this review is because my turbo now failed for a second time and because of Helton ** and his con job and will also have to pay for this out of pocket, as I do not qualify for the extended turbo warranty on this vehicle.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2017

We own a 2013 Passat Diesel. Best car for the price we ever owned. Until we learned about the diesel scam. The car is fully owned, garage kept and only has 8,000 miles. We began filing the online claim only to have the rules change midstream so I tried to go back to an earlier page in the claim to make a correction. VW will not allow that. VW told me on the phone to "just file it incorrectly...." So I filed a paper claim and mailed it early in Dec 2016. And waited.

We called a month later and were told that they have the paper claim but won't process it until I completed the online form (what?). So they agreed to delete the online form to allow the paper form to be processed. And waited. I called again recently and was told they have the paper form, they have yet to delete the online form, and I should "trust VW." (What?) I again told the script reader that I am about to pay another insurance bill on the car and tag renewal. She said "If you choose to continue to pay insurance on a car that just sits there, that's up to you." (What?)

We told her that the car must be insured, in order to have legal tags, in order to drive the car back to the dealer whenever I finally get a notice from VW. She just could not understand that. So that tells you what we are dealing with. They won't process my paper claim, because of the existing start of the online claim, which is wrong and won't let me correct it, and they won't delete the online claim to allow the paper claim to move forward. Again, the girl could not grasp that circle of frustration.

I asked them "if I consider keeping the car, I would like to drive a similar car that has had the modification. How do I arrange that?" She said "It can't happen. You must trust our engineers." (What?) So here we sit, and wait. If you ever appear to get upset with them, they hang up on you, and they always give you false names. I asked one gentleman who said his name is Jacque to spell it. What a funny response I got from that script reading clown. But they win. I sit here losing money by the day, and they laugh at me. So I have to get this off of my chest. Thanks for this outlet.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2017

2013 Passat TDI SEL - First off, the car is nice to drive, gets terrific mileage (40mpg+ regularly), and can fit adults in the backseat. HOWEVER, all the money you save with the TDI is offset by the SUPER high cost of maintenance and repairs, even for known trouble spots. The most expensive maintenance items will be the tranny oil change on the DSG tranny - IT MUST BE DONE, there is no getting around this. IT WILL FAIL if not regularly changed out with the maintenance schedule. $600+ at most dealerships and independent repair shops.

The adblue heater WILL FAIL (it has actually be modified and is so prevalent that there is a "hack" to trick the sensor into thinking it is working) at a cost of $1200. VW extended the warranty on this part (finally) to 120,000 miles. The Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) is also a maintenance part (they start looking at it at 120,000 miles) that is also a very expensive repair and cannot be cleared out like a semi's can, but needs actual replacement once the soot load gets above a certain percentage (not to mention causing back-pressure on the exhaust).

Other weak points: the water pump ($1200+ repair easily, since they usually have to replace the timing belt at the same time since it gets radiator fluid all over it). The turbo. VW turbos have been prone for years and years to going out (on both gas and diesel) and they still do. VW did extend the warranty on some, so check if yours is covered. All the money you save on mileage is offset by the super high cost of maintenance and repairs (not to mention the $4000 to $5000 premium spent buying the car in the first place). ALL THIS IS (OF COURSE) OFFSET by VWs cheating on the emissions. My car is scheduled for buyback, so maybe I'll stick with something that is not as high in maintenance or in cost of repairs for my next vehicle.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2016

I purchased a used 2015 Passat in June 2016. It had 24K miles. I test drove the car, mentioned that I felt something minor with the brakes and/or rotors and a few other concerns, and signed the papers. An appointment was scheduled for the following week to have the maintenance done to the car. I drove the car over the weekend and immediately realized that there was definitely something going on with the brakes and noticed that the car seemed to have issues with the struts. I dropped the car off for service as scheduled, picked it up, things seemed to be fine until a few days later. SAME problems. I scheduled another appointment and was assured nothing wrong with the car and that it "operates like other cars like it."

Before I even made the first payment I had taken this car to be serviced twice and still no difference. Before the second payment, my car has now began making a squealing noise, obviously the brakes, when pulling off. I have to schedule yet another appointment to again have this looked at. Over the past 20 years I have owned a Honda Prelude, Chevrolet Cavalier, Trailblazer, Tahoe, and Avalanche, Acura RL, Dodge Charger and even a 96 Passat. NOT ONE of those cars made any kind of noises while driving them. Not one!

This 2015 Volkswagen Passat on the other hand is the newest car in the parking lot at work. It is the only Volkswagen in the parking lot at work and it is the ONLY car in the parking lot at work that sounds like squeaky the train when it leaves the parking lot every day. This is embarrassing and unacceptable. A coworker asked to ride with me to a company lunch last week and was impressed with my car until we actually began moving! The car squeaked all the way out of the parking lot and down the street. The front of it bounced when going over dips in the highway. Then when I came to a stop it sounded and felt as if the brakes were coming through the floor! Also, there is a tapping or rattling coming from the inside back driver side that I have yet to identify what it is. Extremely annoying!!!

I asked if the car had ever been wrecked and it hasn't. So either this is a poorly made Passat or someone is not doing what should be done when I take this car into service. Being that the car is under warranty I do not see what the problem would be with putting on new struts, brakes and rotors. I still have my 2006 Dodge Charger and it has over 235,000 miles and has NEVER made a sound like this 2015 Volkswagen! Right now when I get in my Dodge and pull off the only sound you hear is the engine! No rattling on the inside, no noises pulling off, grinding, and no squeaking. A few of the VW service reps told me it's normal for the brakes to make the grinding noise in the mornings or after the car has sat for a while because the brakes on VW are metal on metal. That is bull!!!

None of my other cars have ever done that! That means they have apparently put cheap brakes, rotors, and struts on this car! And now the steering wheel shakes when I'm on the highway!!! Also, the CD player now makes a funny noise when you start the car. I contacted VW corporate to no avail. This is supposed to be a German made car. I'm trading this car in ASAP!! I have owned a Passat before and this one is NOTHING like the quality of cars that I have previously owned. Even that Cavalier I owned in the early 90's rode much better than this 2015 Passat.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2016

I leased my VW Passat in 2013 with the auspice from the salesman that the car was durable and cost effective. Well my first year with the vehicle was uneventful. My trouble started on the second and now third year. The car has had numerous recalls that I gave up following on them. Not to mention the emissions scandal that just made me lose all faith in this company. Well just last month as I was cruising down the freeway, my vehicle lost complete power and started billowing blue smoke. When I took it to the VW TDI specialist (I stopped going to the VW Stealership), I was told the Turbocharger exploded and to replace it I will have to fork out $3000. I have owned numerous cars and have never been subjected to such conmanship. I will never even look at the direction of a VW dealership. A car with less than 70k miles which has been serviced religiously by the stealership should not blow its Turbo.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2016

I bought a 2013 VW Passat in October 2015. This is my very first foreign car. I regret ever buying this car. I'm thinking since it's a 2013 I will have no problems and as long as I keep up with my maintenance I should be good. But I've literally had nothing but problems with this car. I had to replace my driver's side door because of a broken latch. I had to replace the cooling fan. The brakes they never seem quite tight despite being replaced, etc etc etc. I haven't even had the car a year yet.

Unfortunately I'm under lease with this car so I'm pretty much stuck with it. And now my check engine light is on. I'm praying to god it's just a sensor or something simple. I can't afford to keep getting this car fix and I can't afford to not have a car because I have to get to work, school and everywhere else. I'm dreading the thought of taking it to the shop because every time I do I have to come out of my pocket $600 plus. And I'm still paying on this car. If I could do it all over I would've ran the other way and not given this car a second glance. VW needs to buy back all their cars not just the diesel models because these cars are poorly designed.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2016

Does anyone know if the air conditioning unit would have anything to do with the car stalling or the fuel being just below reserve fuel level? I am trying to narrow down what the problem might be. This car has been in the shop because it would not start. After it was towed to the dealer, they started it right up. Yesterday I was driving and it was in the red. As I was on my way to the service station to get gas it stalled (it didn't show empty). It still would not start at the pump. I got gas and it stated it right away.

The next day I started it up and I forgot to turn off the air before turning off the car when I parked. And so the air came on as I turned the ignition. As I left the drive way it stalled. (I had 1/2 a tank of fuel). I coasted down hill to a parking lot. Waited about 2 minutes and it started right up with no other issues so far. Does anyone have a clue as to what might be the problem. THANK YOU.

Original review: June 26, 2016

I purchased this new Passat 5/5/16. I drive for Uber and noticed I seem to be going through a lot of gas so I began logging mpg per tank with each fill up. I started logging mpg 5/24/16. Volkswagen advertises 25 city/38 hwy/29 combined. The lowest mpg per tank is 18.9 the highest 22.4!!! I took it to KMVW service, they said they drove the car a week and the car is getting 27 mpg. It is not!!! I'm continuing to log mpg until I figure out what to do! I bought this car specifically for the advertised great gas mileage. Dealership will not buy the car back or exchange it for another car. This is outrageous!

Original review: June 18, 2016

We own a 2012 VW Passat, top of the line, fully loaded. The car has been recalled five times. The fuel line to the gas tank ruptured last year. Now, the oil pump inside the engine broke and timing is off. VW blamed us for both breakdowns. Even we took best care of the car by having most of the maintenance done by VW and kept the car in the garage all the time, VW accused us of doing something to the car. Except oil changed and other maintenance outside the car, we don't even know how to touch the engine. For that, how could we abused the car? It was VW that produced a lousy car.

VW fixed the fuel line because at that time, we only have over 40 miles on it. This time, even we only have 78,000 miles on it, VW refused to fix it, by saying that we abused the car just as the fuel line. The rupture of the fuel line occurred inside the gas tank. How could we abuse that fuel line? When we called to talk with VW Case Manager and the shop, they were the most unprofessional ones. They didn't even want to negotiate with us in good faith. One of the guy even told us to take a VW credit line for the repair. For that, we will make sure to tell our large networks of friends and families to never ever buy Volkswagen again.

Original review: June 4, 2016

This car looks and feels great; my praise ends there. I bought this car new in May of 2013. At 6k miles a traction control unit went out. At 20k miles the stereo malfunctioned and pumped static through the dash tweeters at max volume until they fried. At 37k miles the temperature sensor in the AdBlue tank went out. At 38k miles the AC started having intermittent issues with blowing hot air. Then came the emissions cheats. Then came the recall notices for airbags and wiring issues. I live in Arizona and having a car with AC issues that magically seems to disappear at the dealership, then show up at mid-day in 100-degree weather, is insanity. I can wait for the buyback to go into effect. This car is an expensive nightmare. Buyer BEWARE!!

Original review: April 16, 2016

How in the world is my compressor out within a two-year period of manufacturing? Aug of 2015 I was told there was an issue. I had no problems before it went in for recall. Now I need a new compressor and big cooling fan. WTH! BS. Then they tried to charge me for a recall. And then they didn't have parts for airbag recall! Grrr. Haven't owned this car long and really wish I would have gone with a scooter. I have been through cancer and don't need this headache or financial burden. VW you gained and are about to lose a good customer within a short period of time if you don't make my family as safe as possible.

Original review: April 2, 2016

Thought we were buying a clean diesel to help the environment, NOT. Thought we were buying quality that would hold its value again, NOT. The turbo blew off the car at 50k. The door wouldn't latch close. No customer service at KarMart. Didn't want to cover it under warranty. It has depreciated so much you can't pay anyone to take it yet. You can't drive it because it is so unreliable. Volkswagen didn't care they already have your money and they continue to lie, cheat and steal as we the consumers are stuck with their crap. Buy back is a must.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2016

I purchased the Passat in April 2013 and within 3 years the car started having issues as below: 1) Climatic Control Malfunction: Climatic control malfunction issues was resolved with a lot of argument and communication with the workshop on chargeable basis. 2) Seat Massager Malfunction: I did not get it fixed as the cost of repair was high. 3) Speed Sensor Malfunction: This also was repaired on the 18th of August 2015 on chargeable basis. 4) Boot Malfunction: This problem was detected in this February of 2016, which is yet to be repaired. 5) Gear ** Malfunction: This is is the issue as of date, as per the car workshop services of VW and the cost estimate IS HUGE. Additional I have been advised that I could have a dashboard sensor issue in the future. Today I stand at a point, where I have a sparingly used vehicle with only 20k kms on and major product faults... don't know what to do!!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2016

My 2015 Passat has already been in and out of the dealership THREE times in the first year for junky craftsmanship of things like door hinges and handles. They told me it was "common with cars." Really? I owned Toyotas and Hondas for 5 years at a time without one problem?? To make matters worse they require you to schedule a one HOUR appointment to just LOOK at the door handle then come back AGAIN to have it fixed. In this case the fake metal coating on the inside door handle was peeling and was as sharp as a razor when you grasped it. NOT all that hard to "diagnose." A huge waste of my time. Don't love the car. Not happy with their service or attitude.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2016

This expensive car has been nothing but a disappointment. Just found out today from VW Customer Care that despite the fact the car is only a 2013 model, the company will do nothing to rectify my most recent system failure. I currently have NO RADIO. NO BACK UP CAMERA. NO MAP and NO GPS. As a matter of fact the entire system is dead. One of the main reasons for purchasing this model and now it is rendered completely useless. Oh, I can purchase a new system to the tune of $1800. Not happening. I only plan to drive the car long enough to see results from the other glorious VW lie--the diesel emission fraud.

Are there other issues with the car, you ask? Why yes. We've replaced the door locking mechanism. It eats tires, and before the navigation system completely died it did not work properly. We have tried 2 different dealership service centers and have called VW customer care more than several times... to no avail. This company makes faulty, overpriced, environmentally polluting pieces of junk. And this is why I warn all others: NEVER BUY A VOLKSWAGEN!!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2015

Our 09 Passat 2.0 tsi has 101, 000 and has been well taken care of since we purchased it with 20k miles. Some early repairs of a water pump, throttle body, engine coils were all done earlier than expected but the most recent issue has us very alarmed. Passat was driving great and had just recently been serviced 2000 miles ago when one day we was driving down the road at about 50 mph when the car lost power, was shaking, check engine and EPC lights came on and the car started smoking out the exhaust and it smelled of gas fumes. We was less than a miles from home so we slowly creeped to our house and parked the car till we could call VW the next day.

Next day car won't start at all (acts like it's flooded and smells like gas). Called VW and we had it towed to dealership ($200 fee). VW checked it out and said injectors were clogged but we're being covered by VW due to warranty added by VW to cover 2008-2011 2.0 tsi models for the failed injectors and manifold. This would cover this up to 120, 000 miles or 10 years according to VW. This was all news to me because I had never heard this nor had we been informed by VW.

Dealer goes on to tell me they need to clean the valves, change the oil and spark plugs but will do this for $200. They also tell me they hope when the injectors failed that it didn't cause motor damage or that will be another story. Now at this time I am trying to process all this info but now after thinking about I would like to know why I would have to pay a tow bill for a failed covered part that VW acknowledged and added an extended coverage for due to issues and I also don't understand why I need to pay for anything related to damage caused by the failed injectors?

Finally I have an extended warranty on my vehicle that is good to 125,000 but my guess is if the injectors caused damage to my engine and VW doesn't pay to fix it then I wouldn't expect my warranty company is going to pay up either because it's not their fault VW had bad injectors in the car. I will keep everyone posted but if anyone else has had this issue please let me know.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2015

I have taken my V6 Passat in several times for the same issues and the outcome is "Oh well sorry, but we can't help you". All functions stick and have long delays. When you try to move from radio to GPS or to CD etc, you get a system starting prompt that stays on the screen for several minutes at times. The backup camera stays on when the car is moving forward, the radio stays on when the car is shut off, the screen goes black occasionally, and the touch screen does not respond to your touch. This is not only a major convenience. It's unsafe. VW had the nerve to ask if I wanted a step down graded radio that they said worked properly. I did not pay for that stripped down radio. I would never buy another VW product. Our company also has a TDI diesel and we all know that story.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2015

I would like people to know I'll never purchase from Volkswagen again. After 1 year my brakes were making noises. I called the dealer. They said that they took the brake pads off and soak them in some kind of brake pads solutions and that the problem should be fixed, but it never fixed the problem. I always bought American cars, first time buying a foreign and last Volkswagen sucks! Never again and still making payments in the vehicle.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2015

Purchased 2015 VW Passat. Beautiful car, runs ok besides road noises. Problem started gapping when I disconnect my Bluetooth while I'm on a call. My radio does not function when I hit the hands free button to make the call private instead of using the Bluetooth system. I had this function in the beginning but not now. Dealer says they don't know. Nothing to be done. I'm frustrated. Any answers from anyone?

Volkswagen Passat Company Information