3.2/5 (1867 ratings)
Get Pricing on Rydeshopper

Ready for a new vehicle?

Take advantage of high trade in values today with Carvana!

Get your offer

About Volkswagen

Volkswagen is a German car manufacturer of sedans, SUVs, wagons, convertibles and compact cars. Read reviews for their models:

Ready for a new vehicle?

Take advantage of high trade in values today with Carvana!

Get your offer

Volkswagen Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Volkswagen?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Volkswagen?

Original review: Aug. 17, 2022

If you own a VW or know someone who does, please share this. Models assumed affected: 2017/18 VW. Golf. Golf Sportwagen. GTI. Some Audi models, but don't know specifics. I have a 2017 Golf Sportwagen that I couldn't fill with fuel. I couldn't take it to VW Dealership because it's 5 hours away and my car smelled like it was going to explode. Long story short, VW hid a ghost part in my fuel tank ($40 suction pump). It is not listed on any manuals or parts guides provided by VW. It was recalled in previous models, then snuck into mine. The date stamp on the part removed is from the same year as the recalled ones. Previous recall: **.

I had to replace my Evap Canister ($1400 part) and after that didn't work I managed to convince my mechanic to go inside the tank to look for this small plastic pump. It took days of my own research to find out this could be the problem, weeks without my car, endless calls to VW and VW mechanics/specialist with no answer. YouTube led me in the right direction when I found someone with the same issue on their Audi (same engine). The cannister needed to be replaced because the suction pump failed and allowed 4 litres of live fuel to enter my evap system (huge fire hazard). Once live fuel is in this charcoal filter, it degrades and cannot be dried or reused.

My mechanic was incredible when it came to digging into this issue. He called everyone he knew that worked at VW to try and figure this out. And he did fix my problem eventually, and tried his absolute best to keep the costs as low as possible. I was lucky. I have been in touch with VW and they will not help, will not admit wrongdoing and insist that they can only include this in a recall if enough people flag this little hidden pump as an issue. Which, of course, no one can because as far as any official documentation goes, it does not exist. So unless someone is digging deep into forums and Youtube to find their own answers, they just end up swapping out their entire tanks.

Since then I have connected with multiple people who have had the same issue, taken it to a dealership they replaced the charcoal / EVAP canister but the issue wasn't resolved. They then told him they wanted to order in a new fuel tank at another $1200 as that was the only fix in their VW system. He luckily found my forum post and convinced VW to investigate the suction pump before they replaced his entire gas tank.

In Canada there are approximately 160,000 of these cars on the road. They are a huge fire risk. Of course it's unlikely that all of these cars will fail like mine did, but for argument's sake, let's say they did. And for VW mechanics to fix it based on their official system information, it would cost all those 160,000 owners a collective $480 million to have their entire fuel systems replaced. If they admitted they snuck in a faulty part and added these models to their recall, it would cost them around 6 million to repair.

So instead of a huge corporation (with a super dirty past btw) taking the hit on $6 lousy million dollars, they are putting owners at risk of literally catching on fire and collecting an additional nearly $500 million in parts and repair sales. Please share this info and let me know if I can help or if you have any idea who to inform to get the word out. #vwcanada #Volkswagen #volkswagengolf #VWRecall

Original review: Aug. 17, 2022

2021 VW T6.1 WARRANTY NULLIFIED BY VW APPROVED PREMIUM PARTNER SEIKEL PARTS I purchased a new 2021 Transporter 6.1 Crewbus 8 Seater BiTDi 146kW lwb 4Motion DSG in February 2021 from VW Claremont, South Africa. VIN Number WV2ZZZ7HZMH049552. Registration Number CAA 244314.

I purchased the vehicle NEW with an extended warranty plan of 100000km/6yrs. I purchased a new vehicle, with a 6 yr maintenance plan, in order to have hassle-free motoring.

I spoke with VW Tableview regarding a lift kit, they recommended Seikel as a VW approved lift kit supplier. I did my research and established that the Seikel parts are approved and fitted by VW and are marketed as such by both Seikel and VW. Seikel parts have been, and continue to be marketed and installed on new VW vehicles across the country by VW Service Centres. When the vehicle was on 2000km, a Seikel Lift Kit was installed on the vehicle.

During 2021 a fault appeared on the vehicle's brake pad replacement sensor. This will be recorded on the VW VIN system. VW Tableview refused to warranty the part as there was a VW Premium Partner Seikel Lift Kit fitted on the vehicle. I paid for the replacement part and labour. At 22000kms the vehicle began shaking so violently that I am unable to drive it. Rola VW Malmesbury, who themselves install Seikel parts, collected the vehicle and tested it. The Service Manager believes it is the drivetrain.

VW refused to honour the warranty on the drivetrain due to the VW-approved Seikel suspension kit being fitted. This is the response from VW warranty manager via Rola VW Malmesbury - "The Seikel kit fitted afterwards by sublet agent or by a VW franchise dealer is seen as a suspension modification and any subsequent damage to the drive train are not covered under the manufacturer’s warranty."

It is not the suspension that is faulty, but the drivetrain. Yet the warranty is not honoured. I was not made aware the warranty would be nullified by either VW or Seikel when deciding to install the parts. I am 100% convinced that all other Seikel customers are not aware that their VW warranty is voided as soon as the parts are fitted. This is a gross misrepresentation by VW. After the brake sensor failure and now the drivetrain failure and VW's failure to honour both warranty cases, I can only assume there is absolutely no warranty on the vehicle.

There is no way I would purchase an extended warranty and then immediately fit parts that nullify the warranty of the drivetrain - that makes absolutely no sense.

I was not made aware by either Seikel or VW that fitting these parts would nullify the VW warranty. In fact, the advertising on the internet alludes to precisely the opposite. There is gross misrepresentation by many VW dealers regarding the installation of Seikel parts. The costs to repair this issue are certainly going to be higher than the Seikel suspension kit originally cost to install.

The problem now exists where even if this issue in particular is resolved, I remain exposed with a vehicle that has no warranty on the drivetrain - in spite of the fact that I paid for an extended warranty. This problem goes further in that the suppliers of the Seikel suspension kits are also not aware that their parts effectively nullify the VW warranty.

There are only two outcomes available to me in order to have hassle-free motoring and a VW vehicle under warranty and maintenance plan: Option 1. VW must honour the warranty for this issue and any further issue associated with any part other than the Seikel parts installed. Option 2. VW must return the vehicle suspension to its original state in order to reinstate the warranty. This option has far-reaching repercussions as VW agents around the world are currently recommending and installing Seikel parts without informing customers that it nullifies their vehicle warranty. I find this action borderline criminal.

VW grossly misrepresented Seikel parts by recommending and installing parts that nullify their warranty - even when it is not those parts that fail. Similarly, Seikel markets parts globally without the knowledge that their own parts nullify the VW warranty.

Get buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 24, 2022

We were stranded in the middle of a 1200-mile road trip due to a faulty turbo system in the 2022 Tiguan we had purchased 2 months prior. The VW dealership we stopped at said the parts necessary would take weeks to months to come in. We were 600 miles from home with a new car that could not be driven or repaired, and VW would not provide a loaner, rental, or any assistance whatsoever. This was the absolute worst customer service I have ever encountered. We traded in the Tiguan for another vehicle of equal msrp, losing thousands in the process. We will never again have anything to do with VW.

Original review: June 5, 2022

I bought a Passat after having a CC which I liked a lot. Within in months I have been to service it 5 times. It is one of the worst consumer experiences I've encountered. I'm currently seeing if I can manage a buyback.

Original review: May 13, 2022

I purchased a new brand VW Tiguan, in March 22, after 3 weeks the engine got shot down in the middle of the road when I slowed down and it did not turn on until two people pushed my car to the roadside and it started up. I contacted the dealership, they said I should call the corporate. I ignored this issue, as I thought it was my fault that must have done something wrong. Then two days later again in the middle of the road at traffic light, the engine again got shot down. The same story. I called the roadside assistance they towed my car, it took a week to repair my car, the technician said it was about the starter failure.

Imagine a new car after 3 weeks failed working, how it could be frustrating! They fixed my car but I requested VW, for a replacement or repurchase. They haven't gotten back to me after a month yet. I am totally unsatisfied with both the customer service as well as the quality of car how it jeopardized my and my family's lives while stopped working in the middle of the road.

Original review: April 28, 2022

Many recent VWs (mine is a 2017 Tiguan) have a part in the steering column that is needed to control the airbag, horn and other steering wheel controls. It's called a clockspring and they are going bad on many models. They have a recall, but didn't make enough of them. Now, my car is in its 4th month of being undrivable. VW America has no estimate of when they may make more. They offer no support of any kind. I am paying car payments on a car that can't be driven. A quick Google search shows THOUSANDS of VW customers in the same boat. Avoid VW at all costs. They have a customer service department that will refer you to the dealer, who will refer you to back to them. AVOID VW.

Original review: April 5, 2022

I own a 2018 VW Tiguan. The customer service of VW and VW Credit is terrible. And I will never recommend or buy another one because of that. I have been dealing with title issues for 4 years and it’s still not resolved. Every time I call, there is another reason or excuse for things not being taken care. Beware of financing through VW!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2022

One perk that sold me on my purchase of my Certified Volkswagen Tiguan was the car replacement or loaner auto promise (if car was disabled and had to be in the shop for over a day). However, I have had numerous occasions in which I had to leave my car at the VW service shop for repairs and was told there were no cars available or that there was nothing they could do. Either Volkswagen vehicles are spending more time in the shop than they are on the road or someone (i.e. Volkswagen) does not honor the promises made at the time of sale. Regardless of the answer, I would not recommend the purchase of a Volkswagen to anyone. This is my first and last Volkswagen vehicle purchase based on the poor service and misleading warranty information.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2022

I have 2021 Atlas Cross Sport, I love the vehicle but the remotes are extremely frustrating. Fob will not work unless you're very close to the vehicle. I took it in to the VW dealer and the service rep said, "You're not the only one complaining about issue and unfortunately there is no no fix for this problem." Why can’t VW come up with a fix?

Original review: Feb. 24, 2022

2017 GTI Polo with known thermostat and water pump issues, The car has 35000klms on it. They will not replace it, fix it at my expense. There is no goodwill at all, I could understand if the car had over 100000 km - but it is still new and it is a known problem. VW never again!!

Volkswagen Company Information