2. Automotive
  3. Car Brands

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.16/5

Volkswagen is a German car manufacturer of sedans, SUVs, wagons, convertibles and compact cars. Read reviews for their models:

View More View More

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Volkswagen Reviews

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

The car looks great on the outside, the inside as well. Very comfortable car and spacious. The drive is smooth and affordable in gas. It's not a big SUV and not too small. Enough room to fit 5 people and a large trunk. Very happy with the design of the vehicle. As for the engine, I did have a few issues. Instead of a timing belt it's a chain which needs to be changed and very costly. The pieces are ok in price but had to add some extra money on top of my payments. That was the downfall of this purchase.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

A really good vehicle, just right for me. I especially like that maintenance is only once a year. One drawback is the limited cargo space. But it is easy to get in and out. I often transport elderly people to various activities. They often comment about this feature.

Get buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

The fit and finish on my VW is on another level compared to domestics in the segment. The car has held up quite nicely. Service at the dealership is a bit pricey so I've found a good independent mechanic. Overall my Eos delivers a great experience on summer days and feels comfortable enough for long haul road trips up and down the I-5.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

The GTI is one of the best all around cars on the market today as far as overall versatility. It may not be the best in any singular category (performance, mpg, comfort, etc.), but it’s cumulatively better than 90-95% of the cars that it competes against. The GTI’s changes over the model years have been subtle with VW finely tuning & refining a proven & successful platform. I’ve owned cars that were more luxurious, had more performance, were much more aesthetically pleasing design-wise...yet, the 5 GTIs that I own/have owned, have never failed to provide me with an exhilarating drive.

Original review: June 29, 2019

Our Sales Agent Pete ** and the Sales Manager Paul ** of Durham Volkswagen went above and beyond to make sure that we were happy with our purchase of the VW Atlas. Very pleasant personality and very patient, everyone we met there were all very accommodating. I highly recommend Durham VW and we are very happy with our purchase.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Volkswagen?

Original review: May 28, 2020

I have had by far the WORST experience with VW. I thought it was only the 1 dealership I went to but I have went to multiple and they are all the same. They will scam you out of every single penny you own. They have terrible customer service, you have to wait hours to get anything fixed. Don’t EVER lease a car with them or you will end up basically paying for the entire car and then having to give it back. They are a scam. They have recalls all the time. I will NEVER EVER EVER buy another VW again.

Original review: May 27, 2020

A disgrace!!!! This company has no loyalty to its customers and is not willing to help!!! As a customer of over 15 years, they collected money from an insurance payout and then refused to take it off my credit report even though the insurance company paid them within a week!!! I was in a terrible accident and am still paying the price!! I will never get a Volkswagen again! Go to another car company - it's only a matter of time before you belly up.

Original review: March 9, 2020

After purchasing a brand new 2019 Atlas, it has been nothing but a nightmare. From cylinders not firing, bad spark plugs, blaming us for putting bad gas in... Now on 3 visits, then a faulty battery which a corporate mechanic had to find. It has been nothing but a disaster! To top it all off, we want to get rid of this LEMON and that has become an even harder process. Not only does this car violate CA law for having multiple issues on a specific part of the car, my 3-year-old has been in the car with me on two separate occasions when it has decided to randomly shut off. VW corporate was not phased by this at all.

When purchasing this vehicle, my husband and I turned in a perfectly good, special edition BMW and received this piece of crap! Instead of actually taking care of my family, VW corporate insists that they will only pay us for the difference of the BMW and car payments. Myself, my husband, and my son's life was in jeopardy while driving this car, but clearly empathizing with hard-working decent people is not in this business' interest. My family has purchased from VW for over a decade, but that will not happen again. Not only are they not taking care of our needs while trying to split ties with their company, they sent a completely incompetent email to us with false options and that demand we send items to send to them? I am in the business sector and business is not conducted in such a fashion as this.

I also want to point out that because the email was so poorly composed, I could press legal matters around the areas addressed. This is a very stern warning that if you are looking to purchase a family vehicle this is a horrific option. I am extremely disappointed with this company and cannot believe they claim to service everyone and will not accommodate those who have been experiencing issue after issue, two being highly dangerous, and do not know the meaning of taking care of loyal customers. Such a shame!!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

My daughter bought this 2014 Tiguan and paid as much as a small house for it. 2.0 turbo engine. With 88,000 Kms (53,000 miles) on it now it will hardly haul itself in cold temperatures, jerking and misfiring with a PO300 code RANDOM MISFIRE. Have replaced camshaft sensor, all 4 coils, spark plugs, mass airflow sensor TWICE, sprayed carbon cleaner into intake head to try to clean carbon from valves that is a HUGE problem with these Volkswagen's. Spent hundreds of dollars trying to find the problem....VW don't know....NO ONE knows. Going in next week for yet ANOTHER sensor try...

I bought a new 2006 Honda Civic that was just nicely broke in at 50,000 miles. At 150, 000 miles not KM's I had to do the brakes, that was the FIRST TIME I done ANY repairs on that car....VERY FIRST THING DONE. STAY AWAY FROM ANYTHING WITH VW ON IT...STAY AWAY...STAY AWAY!! Just do a little reading about these lemons online...STAY AWAY....YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED and you had better heed it, I can't type stay away enough times!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

Received the car with minor scratches on the steering wheel and didn't make a fuss about it. 6 months later the scratches expanded and steering wheel is peeling all around. I took it to a VW authorized dealership and they claim it looks like it was scratched so it won't be covered under warranty. I won't be buying/leasing another VW and will warn my friends, co-workers and family not to get one. I have an older Jeep Cherokee with same type of steering wheel that still looks new. It seems VW are using inferior material to make their steering wheel wrap.

Volkswagen Company Information