1.10/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Volkswagen

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 10, 2017

343 Volkswagen Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

VW CC was purchased three years ago as a "Dealer Certified" car with 42,000 miles. Performed the 45,000 mile and 60,000 mile major services at the dealer costing over $3,500 for "regular maintenance". One day after performing the 70,000 mile service with the dealer the check engine light comes on and the engine starts running roughly and stalling. VW Dealer tells me the intake manifold is a free warranty repair but demands payment of $400 to clean carbon build-up in the pistons/injectors. DO NOT BUY VW. YOU WILL REGRET THE EXPERIENCE OF OWNING IT.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

Volkswagen Credit OVERCHARGED me, its employees LIED to me and now won't remove a wrongly-made derogatory mark on my credit report despite earlier promises that it would. I have a lease through Volkswagen Credit, which was until recently on automatic payment. A few months ago I noticed Volkswagen charged nearly $150 more than my typical payment. Volkswagen never communicated it would charge this additional amount, so this was a complete surprise.

I contacted VW credit and did not hear back for several days. So, I disputed the portion that was above and beyond my usual payment with my bank. I again contacted VW in writing and did not hear back. My bank confirmed with me that they tried multiple times to contact VW credit to work things out, which is typical for a dispute case, but were unable to get a hold of anyone and eventually the dispute was authorized by default.

The next month I receive a bill stating I was past due in the amount of the typical payment plus the mystery charge. VW credit had still not contacted me about this transaction despite repeated followup. Finally I get someone on the phone who explained what the extra charge was for (a tax on leased vehicles specific to my city, which gets passed on to the consumer once per year; she couldn't tell me why I hadn't received this extra charge in the 2 previous years of leasing the vehicle).

I tell her I will go ahead and pay the past due lease amount, since I did not dispute the charge to begin with, and I will read the law regarding taxation on leased vehicles (This is not typical in my state but unbeknownst to me at the time a handful of cities tax leased cars). During this conversation the representative assured me that since I paid the "past due" amount it would not show up on my credit report, and I have until the lease ends to pay the additional charge for the tax.

After researching the surprise tax charge, I pay it within 30 days of the conversation and several months before the lease is set to end. A couple of months pass and I find out that despite paying the past due amount and the additional surprise charge, there is a derogatory mark on my credit report. I send a message to VW credit explaining the situation and letting them know that I was told very specifically that my credit would not be damaged by what happened. They reply, in so many words, that they do not plan to revoke the derogatory mark and they don't care what their employee said. First the diesel scandal and now a confirmation that Volkswagen doesn't care about their customers or doing what they say they'll do. Stay away from this company.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

2017 Alltrack. Had we known how dreadful our selling dealer and VWoA customer care related to a new vehicle purchase would be, we would have immediately turned around and never looked back. Upon delivery of our "new" Volkswagen, we found several issues that we addressed and were told that "there's nothing we can do". VWoA is basically useless when customers have legitimate complaints, so much for VWoA 's concerns about the customer purchase experience.

Without going in to detail, let's just say our experience left a very unpleasant taste in our mouths. There was no delivery inspection record or documentation, the literature and accessories were unpackaged scattered around the cargo area, one of the remote keys was defective, the fluid levels were below minimum requirements, the Navigation SD Card was found under the front seat, but the dealers 4" metal logo was prominently affixed to the rear hatch with some type of super glue. This is our last Volkswagen purchase. We feel that all we are to the dealer is a number in their quota. Pathetic!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

Bought my VW CC in 2011. Everything was fine up until 2016. Started having issues with it. Just got it back 3 weeks ago. Had to have the timing chain fixed. That bill was $3200. Had to take it back 2x's after that to have the intake runner fixed along with the rear main seal because of oil leaking. Those two jobs cost me an additional $1000. Fast forward to today. Started having issues with the car not going into gear. Went back to the shop. There's a problem with the driveshaft. Cost to fix... $3200-$5000. This is so unfair. Now I am either forced to fix it or purchase another car. Either way I'm spending more money I truly dont have.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

2012 Volkswagen EOS - I purchased this car used in Daytona Beach near the end of April 2017. Around September 9, the automatic transmission started slipping and clunking into gear. I brought it into the Volkswagen dealership. They looked at the transmission and told me that the transmission fluid had metal shavings. Of course they didn't know why. And because it has 64,000 miles (warranty is 60,000) I would have to pay for a new transmission. For parts and labor, $7,100! I bought it for $12,000 and it only books for $11,000. I called Volkswagen headquarters and one question they asked was, “Is this your first Volkswagen?” Anyway they got back to me and said "nothing we can do for you". Only 4,000 over warranty and nothing they can do? I'm still fighting with them. This was my first and LAST Volkswagen.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Volkswagen?

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

Bought a 2013 2.5 SE as a left over in 2014. Since then I have had the window master switch replaced, the front passenger window switch, the Bluetooth module, shifter and ignition replaced all due to failures and malfunctions. The one item was the AC where during summer temps the vent temperature fluctuated from 40 to 70 degrees, the AC would shut off humid air blow out for 10 minutes and then it would kick back on. I have brought my vehicle in many times for this issue at every 10k factory service and many times in between. The incompetent techs look for malfunction codes, check the charge level and run the car in the SHOP and say, "Oh it's cold..."

At the 40k mark outside of the B2B warranty they "found" the issue and told me a simple exact and recharge would fix it. Now if the charge level was fine at every AC service why would it be found now? That wasn't the case, the issue still remains. I got VWOA involved. They said nothing can be done other than having them look at it again (likely same results) where I may be liable for loaner expenses. I am never buying a VW for myself or recommending a VW to anyone again.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

My name is Joe ** and I purchased a 2017 Passat model S. I am already having issues that VW USA has refused to address. My iPhone automatically syncs and auto plays my music from my iPhone causing my battery to drain. On my particular vehicle's model (S), I am being told there is no option to chose for the music from my iPhone to stop auto playing. The only Option built in to the software of my radio is to completely shut off the BT Audio tab. By doing so, I am unable to use the hands free Bluetooth function of my incoming and out going calls.

I am also unable to use the Bluetooth audio feature to play navigation through my car speakers. I have been in close contact with Apple Engineering and have confirmed this is not an issue with my iPhone. I do not this issue my with BMW or my Honda CRV because there is a tab programmed in to the radio's software to prevent my music from auto playing. The even more aggravating thing is that this auto play (stop) button is built in to the radio software on the VW Passat SE model (the more expensive model). Is this a ploy by VW to get me to spend an extra $5,000?

I feel that VW is placing the lives of myself and my family to be at risk of death or serious injury by forcing me to actually place my hands on my phone while driving. Anyone else experiencing this issue? I have Googled dozens of VW forums with other VW owners with the same exact problem! Is VW deliberately placing their customer's lives at risk just because we have chosen a base model? I find this to be disgusting and a total lack of customer service. Can you help escalate a resolution for this serious life safety problem? If not a simple software patch then how about replacing my radio? I am very concerned with the safety of my family and I.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

2014 TIGUAN: OMG this car turned into a nightmare - went whacky on a mountain pass - gas pedal and steering went glitchy, then "ESC light" went in apparently indicating ABO was bizarrely shutting down, then ABO failed. Dealing with VW a bigger nightmare. I will never get a VW again!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

Created a claim for buyback a year ago, after submitting all paperworks claim was denied. Denied because the car was bought from "junk yard". Car was registered and legal on streets of California, other salvaged cars got buy back but not ours... I submitted an appeal and... nothing, since March I have not heard anything. Claims processing can't tell me anything, appeal department doesn't answer. It looks like they are just dragging time so they don't have to pay.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

I have a 2009 EOS - never again. While I like the car, especially the convertible top and driving experience, it has been multiple mechanical failures, some covered under recalls, others out of my pocket. I have had the injectors and ABS module replaced under recalls, and paid $2200 for a rear main seal (part $25 - the rest labor) caused by the engine oil pump malfunctioning and blowing the seal. When I got the car back after the ABS recall, it went into limp mode (stuck in second gear) and I returned to the dealership. Code on transmission says it has faulted 36 times - no dates - but this was the first indication it had a problem - no check engine light ever.

Volkswagen says "Sorry - out of warranty" with no recognition of 36 previous faults, nor that problem appeared after testing for the recall on ABS module. Coincidence? They claim no. Right. Dealer tells me replacement is $5k-$6k, which is KBB value on sale to private party. Done with VW - working my way out of the two I have now. Know this: If the company hasn't been forced to do a recall on a problem, they will expect owner to pay. Doesn't seem like much has changed ever since US buyers have been lied to about the diesel fiasco.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

After having issues with our dashboard lights going crazy, we began reading other complaints online. We learned that the issues we were having came directly from a faulty ABS module, and then came across a VW recall on our car for the ABS module. After talking to VW's Recall Department, they told us it did indeed fall under the specific recall, and we could take it into any dealer for a fix. Our car went in on a Tuesday morning, and after 3 days of poor customer service and no answers, the mechanic let us know the ABS Module would not be covered, and we would have to pay out of pocket. He said he had even called VW directly to verify they wouldn't pay for it. We were then quoted $1300 for the repair, plus a $225 diagnostic test. He suggested I call them directly.

I called the VW Recall Department again, and told them what happened. I let them know my biggest concern was the fact that they told us our car was part of this recall, and they were now unwilling to fix the issue. I also let them know the ABS brakes have always caused me issues, nearing killing me when I lost control while braking once. They said they would write it up, and look into it and get back to me in one business day. I am waiting to hear back, but there has been a lot of reason to think they will just use some excuse to not replace something so dangerous and faulty. We'll see.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

Until now I have always had good luck with the VW corrosion warranty. I recently submitted a claim that they have refused to cover. They are telling me that the damage is due to a factory installed molding and not covered by warranty. It is corroding from under the paint, causing it to bubble. They say that it should be covered under the 4 year paint warranty and not the 12 year corrosion warranty since there is no visible corrosion. I requested information, and they replied "We would have to rely on the diagnosis determined by our dealerships."

The dealership said they send the pictures in and do not make the decision. They will give me very little information about the denial and to the best of my knowledge the determination is being made by someone who has only seen cellphone pictures. It seems that VW has added plastic trim pieces in areas prone to rusting as an excuse to void their own warranty. I love the car, but it is very disappointing they will not stand behind their warranty. It is still one of the best warranties out there, but a warranty is only good if they are willing to stand behind it.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

Wow, second low mile Volkswagen to have thousands of dollars in repairs. 2009 Volkswagen CC luxe with 60,000 miles needed a rear main seal replacement for $1500. 2009 Tiguan 44,000 miles needs a new steering rack and water pump for $3000. Car just lost power while my son was driving it, dangerous! Called Volkswagen for help with repairs, out of warranty no help provided!!! NEVER AGAIN!!!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

VW Court Settlement Diesel Jetta - I have submitted my paperwork through the claims portal starting in January 2016. Each time, they say I am missing something. I submit the missing work and then there's something else wrong. They have had to "reset" my account twice saying for various reasons and each time I have to resubmit which starts the paperwork problem again. Something is wrong either with their collection of paperwork or they are stalling.

Original review: July 28, 2017

Disastrous Buy back procedures: Brought my second and FINAL V.W. diesel to the dealership. Prior to bringing it back I reconfirmed (2) times over the last (2) weeks what my E Check would be as well as the pay-off due my lender. When my car was dropped off I was shown the pay-off amount and it still reflected the amount due when I first contacted V.W. last January that I would accept the buyout. This was about $4,500.00 LESS than what I was quoted just 1 week prior. When the resolution specialist and I phoned the resolution center, curiously there was NO MENTION NOR any record of my calling to determine the updated amount due to me.

Only after repeated queries what this "uncovered". We asked to speak to a supervisor who finally said that "yes we see that you owe significantly less on your car", however we are unable to pay you the difference now, you must wait about (2) weeks to collect that overage that we will pay out even we know you do NOT owe it (we received an up to date pay-off letter two weeks ago.) This happened on the first V.W. that was turned in 6 mos. ago. It took over two months to get a check from the bank and then we received another one, (we destroyed it) from V.W. three months later. Be wary of VW... I am guessing that they are trying to delay all aspects of this farce "refunding you funds" as long as possible.

Original review: July 27, 2017

This is the worst bank in history. I always had perfect credit until I made the biggest mistake by leasing through them. Since 2011 I have been trying to dispute inaccurate information being reported by them on my credit file, every time I had disputed it they in return come back with worse information than before adding more 30 day lates. This can not be legal and they shouldn't get away with this. They are the most frustrating company in the world to deal with. Don't ever buy or lease through them. They will report incorrectly and when you try to dispute it they will report back with worse information than before.

Original review: July 26, 2017

I have a 2011 Volkswagen Golf TDI, which I bought new. It's one of the Diesel cars that VW was found to have lied about. About a year ago I signed up for the VW TDI settlement program and planned to turn in my TDI this fall. Now, to add insult to injury, the High Pressure Fuel Pump has failed, which I am told is catastrophic and will now cost $4500 to repair. Unless I repair the car I will not be eligible to turn the car back to VW or be able to have them retrofit it so that I may continue driving it. The car has 124,000 miles on it and the extended warranty, which I was not informed of, expired at 120000 miles, just a few months ago. I was never informed that there was an issue with VW fuel pumps.

Apparently, the High Pressure Fuel Pump was the subject of a federal investigation which I never heard about. Further, Volkswagen has paid for this repair on vehicles outside the extended warranty period. A quick web search reveals thousands of these "HPFP" failures. Please consider looking into this, as VW has set a precedent by paying for these repairs past warranty and now they will not cover mine, leaving me with this huge burden. Thank you.

Original review: July 25, 2017

Volkswagen cc - I had started a 3 year lease in 2010. I did everything I was told to do and the car was serviced in a diligent and timely manner. Midway through the lease while driving with my 2 young kids the car stalled and would not restart. It was a horrible experience. The diagnosis was carbon emissions in the fuel exhaust mechanism or something like that. I've since lost the records but I'm sure VW has them as I submitted everything. They denied any responsibility and I incurred over 1200$ worth of damage and repairs. They stated that it was a part of normal service. This always smelled bad to me and I finally decided to throw my hat into the ring today only to find out that the cc is not covered. Needless to say I'm very disappointed. This all still smells bad to me.

Original review: July 21, 2017

Volkswagen Taiguan 2016 with push button start will drain the battery to zero by itself. I turned off the car by pushing the button and left the car parked in the daylight. At night the car automatically turned on the headlights and drained the battery. I was stranded the next morning and had to call roadside assist. This is the most stupid thing on the car. With only 175 miles I had to call assistance because the car turned on its own lights while parked. The tow truck driver said I was the fifth Taiguan he had jump started because of this problem. VW needs to correct this. If the driver touches the kill button twice, or bumps it while getting out of the car the ignition will go on after the engine is shut off and will eventually turn the lights on leaving you stranded. Never use Auto Lights on this car.

Original review: July 21, 2017

I am in disgust that the VW buyback has not been handled properly or expeditiously for overseas military personnel. As a veteran and an overseas teacher for the Military, we deserve better treatment than you have given us and as like many infectious diseases and viruses, word spreads at the same rate! I hope that word of your treatment spreads like wildfire regarding your service and lack of support for the U.S. Military. I will surely do my part in this matter.

Form after form appears to be a stall tactic! The public information on the VW website stated that VW would take care of military personnel and shipping costs would be taken care of by VW. Ha! I have just paid approximately $3700 for shipping costs from S. Korea to Texas and hope that I receive a refund! At the rate of your response for email and other documents, I will probably be in my grave before I realize any reimbursements!

Original review: July 12, 2017

VWGoA settlement - This process is BEYOND ridiculous. I have been in "process" since October 2016. Every time I submit they want something different. Approved documents re-submitted are then not approved. Volkswagen lawyers are HORRIBLE. They stall at every point they can, as every moment they stall, means interest from the settlement money they SHOULD be paying that THEY promised, lining their pockets. As consumers, we are getting screwed. I will NEVER purchase another Volkswagen, they are liars and cheaters.

Original review: July 4, 2017

I purchased a brand-new model of 2016 VW Golf GTI last year. I haven't driven it much, which only has less than 4000 miles on it now. Recently, I had a flat tire due to the poor quality of Hankook tire (made in Korea) used by VW manufacturer. My flat tire happened when I was driving on a freeway (in very good condition) when the passenger side front tire suddenly burst a hole in its sidewall with no road hazard present. I called VW local dealership but was told to contact Hankook (the tire maker) directly by myself.

Hankook did not follow the company's established procedure for handling tire warranty, but rushed to an arbitrary judgement on tire damage in its own favor, insisting on saying it was caused by road hazard. It never allowed the local VW dealership to fill out a tire warranty coverage claim form on my behalf. I paid $200+ out of my own pocket for tire replacement. I deeply regret that VW chose Hankook over other better tire brands. Hankook tire's poor quality makes VW vehicles prone to road accidents. It also makes VW look cheap. For these reasons, I would strongly advise fellow motorists not to consider VW Golf GTI among their purchasing options.

Original review: June 30, 2017

So I get a postcard in the mail for a recall in my ABS system in my car (2009 VW Jetta). I make an appt at VW in Clarksburg WV for 0900 on June 19th. After sitting for an hour and a half I check the status of my car. The service manager says it should only take 30 minutes for my car and I told him is already been waiting an hour and a half. He goes, checks on my car. State's that they have to order a new ABS SYSTEM for my car which 9 out 10 times a car doesn't need it. But mine does. He then says they don't recommend me driving it until it's fixed. So I ask if they are going to give me a temporary or loaner vehicle to which he says "I can't. We don't have any." So I ask if they will provide a rental. He says "VW doesn't do that."

So what do I do? The manager says, "If you want your car you have to sign a waiver" and pushes my car keys into his pocket. So I was told I could have my car if I signed a waiver releasing them of liability if I get in an accident but they won't provide me with any type of vehicle to drive temporarily. So with great hesitation I sign and voice my opinion on how bad their service is and always has been but this was topping it. Told they'd call me when the replacement came in.

11 days later, I just called them and asked why they haven't called me about it. The manager again (how he's the service manager is beyond me bc he does a very poor job at retaining customers or helping them) says to me "I haven't called bc I haven't had any available appts open to get you in!" I said "don't you think you should call me so that I can make an appt at least?!?!? After all I am driving around with a disabled ABS system!!!"

Without any regard to my well being or my kids who ride in my vehicle or others on the road, he says "I guess I can get you in July 10th." You guess??? I am so appalled and so extremely angry at how incompetent and irresponsible this man is!! He lacks any concern for others and he's fat lazy **. Cannot and does not even attempt to help me in this situation. I highly suggest that VW replace him with someone who knows what they're are doing. I will never, ever buy another vehicle from VW!!! They have done nothing but give me a run around from day 1.

Original review: June 23, 2017

Owners of VW Tiguan are needed for an action Volkswagen Corporation US and Volkswagen Corporation Germany of Tiguan 2009 and other years for faulty roof drain hose. Faulty roof drain caused a flood in the vehicle floor that caused an engine failure, a failure of the computer system, and as a result a total loss of the car in my case.

Original review: June 19, 2017

For the first 3 years under warranty, my car had no problem at all. I bought my car in 2012 and it's been 5 years now with 40,000 miles. The car is still smooth and it's perfect. Nothing is leaking underneath the car. When I went today for my 40,000 service maintenance, they said there's a problem with my motor. Like the oil is leaking. I laughed inside and told myself, "What the **?" Hahaha.

I remembered my friend who was a sale person in Volkswagen told me that, "After your warranty don't go to Volkswagen. They're going to rip you off." I should of listened. But I told myself, "Let's see." I asked the guy, "Why is it leaking?" The car is new... It's only 5 years. So is this mean Volkswagen is not GOOD at all? I mean, our Mazda, Honda are more than 10 years, and nothing ever leaked. The only repaired we had was the tires changed. I just think this is BS. The guy told me, not to wait longer because it will cost me more. The motor for motion is leaking and it will cost me $600. WTF?

Original review: June 2, 2017

I feel we were treated unfairly by the VW Claims process. Our dealer was Moffitt Volkswagen in Bossier City, Louisiana, they were super. I don't think the 72000 (we bought the owner's car with around 5400 miles on it) on our 2014 Passat TDI vehicle was in excess, after all we purchased it to drive not sit in the driveway. The 66000 plus miles we put on should have been a testament to the reliability of the vehicle. Diesel engines are made to roll not sit. I think we should have been awarded the amount $1115.56 instead of $651.00. We will NEVER EVER purchase another Volkswagen because of the shoddy way we were treated. VW Claims Service should have contacted us when submitted our claim. Instead it stayed on someone's desk collecting dust when a simple email would have taken care of the missing paperwork. The communications with the Claims Service is deplorable. Customer Services obviously does not exist in your company.

Original review: June 1, 2017

My car has completely fallen apart. I purchased it preowned and the speedometer read at 53000. A month after purchase the car has been in the shop nonstop. I even had to let the car sit for over a year. My challenges with the car have included the heating and air system going out, the car hesitating as I drove it, the dashboard computer went completely out, the radio stopped working, I've had the car towed numerous times for several reasons and now the car will not turn on at all. I cannot get the car to work. I still owe a note on the car and it will not work. This is beyond frustrating, it's also very expensive. I need immediate resolution.

Original review: June 1, 2017

My husband and I owned a 2012 VW Passat and ironically totaled the car on 11/3/2016, the same day the buyback was offered. It was inoperable, so we could not drive it to our car dealer. It was sold to our insurance company. We were told to complete a paper claim form in order to receive our restitution payment and send it by mail, which was done 12/2/2016. Numerous calls have been made to check the status of our claim... we are getting apologies, told that it is being escalated, being transferred to supervisors, etc. It has been six months since the paper claim form was submitted. I am angry about this whole process and feel like we are getting the "runaround." VW COULD DO BETTER!!!

Original review: May 31, 2017

I just returned the vehicle last week and I received a bill for $567 for wear and tear. I just called them and tried to find a better way to pay because that's too much for me to pay but the person I talked to was super rude with me and did nothing about that. I recommend never deal with VW. They have shifty customer service. I'm really pissed off cause all VW dealers working hard to get new customers after big lawsuit they had but the people working in VW credit financial are so rude and unorganized and losing customers easy for their behavior.

Original review: May 31, 2017

I have two VWs (Passat and Jetta) on lease. Both come off lease at same time. I call to get details - I want to purchase one and buy another car new. I was considering another VW. Forget that! I sat on hold for over 1/2 hour before giving up. The robot voice keeps telling me I can get all the information on the internet. I go there and get the following: "We're sorry, but we're unable to complete your request at this time. For further assistance, please contact our End of Lease Department". So I am in an endless loop.

Volkswagen Company Information