2. Automotive
  3. Car Brands

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.73/5

Volkswagen is a German car manufacturer of sedans, SUVs, wagons, convertibles and compact cars. Read reviews for their models:

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Volkswagen Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Volkswagen?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Volkswagen?

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

VW builds cars that have superior handling, above average fuel economy at a decent price. Build quality is also very good although I have had issues with leaking sunroofs on 2 wagons. On balance I still feel the overall value and driving experience are worth it to me.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

The car looks great on the outside, the inside as well. Very comfortable car and spacious. The drive is smooth and affordable in gas. It's not a big SUV and not too small. Enough room to fit 5 people and a large trunk. Very happy with the design of the vehicle. As for the engine, I did have a few issues. Instead of a timing belt it's a chain which needs to be changed and very costly. The pieces are ok in price but had to add some extra money on top of my payments. That was the downfall of this purchase.

Get buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

A really good vehicle, just right for me. I especially like that maintenance is only once a year. One drawback is the limited cargo space. But it is easy to get in and out. I often transport elderly people to various activities. They often comment about this feature.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

The fit and finish on my VW is on another level compared to domestics in the segment. The car has held up quite nicely. Service at the dealership is a bit pricey so I've found a good independent mechanic. Overall my Eos delivers a great experience on summer days and feels comfortable enough for long haul road trips up and down the I-5.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

The GTI is one of the best all around cars on the market today as far as overall versatility. It may not be the best in any singular category (performance, mpg, comfort, etc.), but it’s cumulatively better than 90-95% of the cars that it competes against. The GTI’s changes over the model years have been subtle with VW finely tuning & refining a proven & successful platform. I’ve owned cars that were more luxurious, had more performance, were much more aesthetically pleasing design-wise...yet, the 5 GTIs that I own/have owned, have never failed to provide me with an exhilarating drive.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2020

We purchased a brand new 2018 Tiguan and have had an horrible experience. The family almost died in a car accident because of the EPC faulty code. It happened 3 times and Volkswagen could not fix the issue. All of a sudden your car loses power and can’t go over 30mph, it shakes horribly and continues to lose power. The last time it happened (3rd time) we were merging onto a highway, the car shook and then lost power, with your foot to the floor the car will not go over 30mph. An 18wheeler truck almost slammed into the back of us, we had to swerve off the highway. Took it back to Volkswagen and they stated it was a faulty read and NOTHING Else was done! We are so shaken and have no trust in the car.

I went directly to head office of Volkswagen and after 6 weeks of discussion they offered me a 10% discount off a new car! Are you kidding me??? 10% when it almost killed my family. I bought a new car so I would have no issue, but instead have had deadly issues. Looking online I see I am not alone. I guess Volkswagen does Nothing to keep their customers safe unless you die and then a class action lawsuit happens. Guess I should head up a class action lawsuit. DO NOT BUY THIS CAR. You will regret it. Stay away from a company who knows there are deadly issues yet does nothing about it!

Original review: July 7, 2020

I have a 2018 Tiguan which the gas odometer keeps going haywire and when this happens the radio system will not turn on. I have taken to the dealer twice and they have reset it and now they tell me this is just something I have to live with and it is not unusual. Why even have the feature if it does not work accurately. The more I drive the higher the number of miles it says I have in the tank and is now at 4082 miles.

Original review: July 7, 2020

So Frustrated my car just got repaired last week and now I’m back with the light on again and they are charging me again for the Diagnosis when it should already be fixed and I shouldn’t be here again and nor should I be charged again when it should of been fixed right the 1st time I was here and we're in a middle of a pandemic and you are charging again not right at all!!!!

Original review: June 25, 2020

I bought a VW Tiguan in Dec. 2019, top of the line with bells and whistles. About 14,000 Km after, when I took it for the 15k km service, I asked them to have a look at the brakes as they've started to make some noise. They said the brakes overheat, the metal is blue (sign of overheating) and they they'll need to be replaced. $1,500 invoice. They said the warranty doesn't want to cover it as it is a consumable. I know that the warranty doesn't cover consumables (oil, filters, brake pads etc), but this is the first car I have to change the brakes under 60,000 - 80,000 Km. I love my cars and I look after them, but I see this as a factory defect, not a user error.

I would like to clarify something: I've owned and drove multiple cars along the years. I'm a car guy, I love cars. I bought the Tiguan for my wife, but I drove it 90% of the time due to some circumstances. I had multiple German cars, Japanese and American cars over the years. Just so you know, I'm not looking for any freebies, discounts or anything like that. Just want the manufacturer and representatives to stand behind their claims and contracts.

The dealer can't change them on warranty, they've submitted pictures and technical reports to VW Canada but they've rejected any warranty claims. I've called them directly to talk about the situation, they've opened another "case" and VW Canada said they'll get back to me in 48 hours. Few days later I called them again as I didn't hear anything from them. They said another 48 hours...

This becomes a joke, they throw the blame from one to the other and together to the put it in the owner's lap to pay it. The warranty is a shame, they make the best to get out of replacing faulty parts or repair them stating it's user fault. I start to have doubts about the parts reliability and warranty, at least not in North America. Unless you have a blown engine in less than 1,000 Km, they won't cover anything, and even then, they might say you've done something wrong to it or looked in the mirror the wrong way.

Original review: May 28, 2020

I have had by far the WORST experience with VW. I thought it was only the 1 dealership I went to but I have went to multiple and they are all the same. They will scam you out of every single penny you own. They have terrible customer service, you have to wait hours to get anything fixed. Don’t EVER lease a car with them or you will end up basically paying for the entire car and then having to give it back. They are a scam. They have recalls all the time. I will NEVER EVER EVER buy another VW again.

Volkswagen Company Information