Volkswagen

Compare Car Brands

Research top Car Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

This complaint is in reference to the Driver Side Takata Airbag being recalled as unsafe and potentially deadly. I am leasing a Volkswagen CC. This is the second VW I've owned. I was notified almost a year ago that my car has been affected by the Takata airbag recall (Driver side airbag) and I have been driving an unsafe vehicle this whole time! There is obviously no fix for this yet and who knows when/if they will ever repair the problem. I have tried working with the VW Dealership that I leased it from as well as VW Credit and also, I've been trying to sell this vehicle however, as you can imagine no one will buy this VW because of the recall! Who in their right mind would want to?!?! Yet, I'm expected to drive an unsafe car and continue paying for it as well!

This seems fraudulent and illegal to me yet I have no recourse. This is totally insane!!! Shame on Takata and Volkswagen for getting away with this!!! I requested that VW buy back the leased car from me. They want an exorbitant amount of money and to my surprise they said they couldn't help me!! They said it is an issue for Volkswagen America to fix... So now I'm stuck with a vehicle that no one will buy including VW!! I'm truly disgusted by the whole experience and the company. Although I can't even put into words what I truly think about this company! This isn't my first VW but it will definitely be my last one!!!

I own a 2014 VW Golf TDI that I purchased brand new. Since I've owned the vehicle I have had all the services done on time and at a VW dealership. The car currently has 40558 miles on it. I had an O2 sensor go bad on me roughly 100 miles ago. I am by no means an expert mechanic but I have been working on cars for a little over 20 years and I couldn't believe how quickly the sensor went out. Even the people at the dealership were completely shocked by how quickly it went out. When I call VW of America they basically told me "yeah that's horrible but it's your problem." I really thought VW was a better company than that and manufactured better products than that.

I purchased a 2012 VW CC, that I wanted since they came out. I must say they look very nice and stylish, but I been at the repair shop it seems like every 3 mos since I've had it, thank God I had a extended warranty or I would be screwed of out of pocket repair cost. In 2014 I had to get my transmission replace, my headlights goes out every 3 mos, my coils constantly has been replace, I tried trading my car but no one wants to give me a good trade-in value so that's upside down, I'm now dealing with a lemon law lawyer and hope I can get a full buyback. VW CC are crappy car!!!! A angry customer.

I received letter from Volkswagen saying my new GTI needed a radio update. I took the letter and car to my local Volkswagen dealership. First day I waiting 4 hours and they said to bring it back tomorrow; that the update to the sd card was only loaded to 44 percent. I brought it back the next day and waited again 4 more hours. Now the dealership is saying they need to keep the car because the sd card is not communicating with the car. They also said they called Volkswagen and they said they couldn't help. What a joke. I should have stayed away from Volkswagen. The radio quits working every couple hours. Don't waste your money in a manufacturer that won't help.

I have been working on my 2.0 Diesel claim now for 3 months waiting patiently and every time I call they give me no information on how long it will take. My Forms were fax over month ago and when I log into portal it says waiting on Fax. When I call they tell me absolutely nothing other than I am waiting for them to upload my forms into the system. This has been the worst experience ever and I assure you they will never get my business again. The way they are handling these claims is an absolute joke. Their customer service I rate at 0 on a scale of 1 to 10. DO NOT BUY VOLKSWAGEN!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Volkswagen?

I introduce myself to you as a long-time and loyal VW customer. I have owned seven VWs in my life. Currently, I own a 2017 Touareg and a 2016 Jetta (son). Obviously, I enjoy the VW brand. It goes without saying that the events surrounding the TDI matter have been disappointing to me as such a loyal customer. Having said that, I accepted your apologies on behalf of VW and the terms of the TDI settlement as they related to my 2014 Passat TDI. Not only did I agree to the settlement terms as outlined by the US Courts, I went on to purchase the 2017 Touareg after turning in my Passat in late November.

To be brief, the settlement process has been an unmitigated disaster by all accounts. I entered into a signed agreement with Volkswagen on or around December 22, 2016. I was told my funds and the funds promised via the settlement agreement owed to Fidelity Bank would be distributed within three business days. Indeed, I received my portion of the settlement funds timely.

Unfortunately, as of today's date, some 60 plus days later, the bank has yet to receive their funds. Although, the representatives from Fidelity Bank have done what they can to assist me, in order to keep from being sent to collections and adversely impacting my 820 credit rating, I have been forced to make multiple additional car payments on a vehicle that I have not possessed since November 2016. Not to make light of the tangible financial losses in terms of interest and principle, I have spent conservatively 40 hours in phone calls and e-mails back and forth with the claims center, the bank and now the plaintiff's general counsel. Despite my efforts, NOT one single person has taken the leadership to step-in to rectify this matter.

Let me say this, the service rendered by the "VW" claims department is deplorable! I have been a risk manager and claims/litigation manager in the insurance industry for the past 27 years. I have worked for and with some of the best. Simply said, the claims department handling the TDI settlements is "THE WORST". They have been unprofessional, dishonest and in my opinion, they have continued to commit fraud on behalf of VW.

The plaintiff's general counsel is doing what they can to assist me. However, to date, they have not been able to rectify this matter. Without continuing on, which believe me I could, I will leave you with this. I fully expect this matter to be resolved at the end of business today. That includes the payoff to my bank as promised to me when I signed the settlement documents in December 2016. In addition, I expect compensation for the accrued interest, principle payments and my extensive time that I have had to dedicate to this matter to protect my personal and financial interest.

I have engaged individual counsel to pursue additional counts of fraud and material misrepresentation against VW. Additionally, I have reached out to local law enforcement to file criminal theft charges against VW and their corporate representatives for the unlawful taking of my 2014 VW Passat TDI. I will post this letter on every social media site possible by the end of the business day today should I not receive an immediate and satisfactory response. The actions by VW as outlined above constitute continued criminal and fraudulent behavior!

We bought a Jetta TDI back in 2014. Car was mostly good except for the 2 times the electronics disengaged from the engine and shut the car down putting me on the side of the road. But the buy-back has been horrendous. We signed up for the early lease termination. Considering it was August when we started and our lease ended in January we thought might as well. Well it took till mid-January to finalize everything and I couldn't get an turn in appointment till after the lease ended. So I called and confirmed I could just turn it in. Afterwards I called again and said, "I turned it in, what now?" I was told our check would be sent out within 3 business days. Nothing for over a week. Call again. They said they would look into it, but never was called back.

Finally today got a hold of someone. We now have to start the entire process over again because we turned the car in without an appointment through the Claims Department. Everything completed and filled out worthless. We have to start the entire process over. Doesn't matter all the paperwork will be the same, we have to do it over. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told one could get back to me in 72 hours, that all I could do is start over.

5 months to get to here doing everything they asked and we get to start over because they took forever with the process? The compensation check is the same amount even and who cares if the car was turned in without an appointment with Claims? We turned it into the same place we would have regardless, hell even the same person. Kierra in Customer Service, you mean, unhelpful **, I hope your karma gets you. I will never buy another car from VW in my life. I hope this company goes under. It's the worst company I've ever dealt with.

VW TDI buy back - We turned in our car on Jan. 19, 2017. Today is Feb. 22, 2017 and they still have not paid us. Not only that, the car was a 2009 and was on track to be crushed but we were not told this when it broke down and they made us pay 4300 to repair it as supposedly VW would not take back a car if it wasn't running. Now I am wondering if it was the dealer - Ken Garff in Orem Utah.

Let me start by saying that this is the second VW I've own. I just found out that my car has been affected by the Takata airbag recall for over a year and I was not notified about the problem and has been driving an unsafe vehicle this whole time. There is obviously no fix for yet and who knows when/if they will ever repair the problem. I've been trying to sell this vehicle as I purchased a new car a few months ago and as you can imagine no one will buy this VW because of the recall. As a single mother I simply can't afford making 2 car payments, insurances etc. so I requested that VW buys the car from me. To my surprise they said they couldn't help me!! So now I'm stuck with a vehicle that I can't afford and no one will buy including VW!! I'm truly disgusted by the whole experience and the company. This isn't my first VW but will sure be my last one.

When I first bought my GTI in 2011. My clutch had issues from the beginning. 2 years later my moon-roof died. They wanted 1,000 to fix it. My driver side window won't roll up. I had to have my transmission rebuilt 3 months ago and then I had to replace my coils. My car has only 85,000 miles on it. Now I'm replacing a tie rod and cannot find the inner tool anywhere. I'm so over this car and so disappointed. My family told me to buy a Honda. I wish I would've listened. They all own Honda's. No maintenance cars. As soon as I can I'm getting rid of it and VW for life. I've read so many terrible reviews about VW products. It's terrible.

I have had to replace my engine twice in the last 10 months. My 2012 VW CC with 89k miles has cost $11,000 in repairs in the last 10 months with nothing covered by warranty. I understand that mistakes happen in business, but the way you judge a company is how they respond to a mistake. Needless to say I can never recommend buying a VW to anyone.

They sold a faulty truck. Wow. Where do I begin? Ok let me start by saying my husband and I bought from a Volkswagen dealer because of the Volkswagen good representation of being honest and of quality. Well in our situation that wasn't the case. The dealer we bought from sold us a 25k used truck with a faulty engine. Unfortunately we bought from Texas so there is no lemon law. I will never deal or recommend Volkswagen ever again. It seems like they don't care about the products they sell just the money they make.

I own a 2013 GTI and in November 2015 the water pump started leaking fluid. After taking the car to the VW dealership, I was informed there was a recall on the water pump and it was replaced. Fast forward to 2017; the water pump that was replaced in 2015 starting leaking (having found this out after taking the GTI back to VW). I informed the service department that water pump was replaced due to a recall. They preceded to locate when the water pump had been replaced. The service department contact Volkswagen checking to see they would pay for repairs since the water pump was replaced due to the recall...

Volkswagen would only pay half of the bill. I contacted Volkswagen, stating that evidently the water pumps are faulty if only after 14 months after installation the water pump requires replacement again. The representative that was helping me, advised she contacted someone at Volkswagen and that is all they would do. I told her again... after only 14 months and the water pump is being replaced again, that tells me that Volkswagen water pumps are faulty!

I would have thought that Volkswagen would have learned from their mistakes and lies that caused them humiliation and tarnished their repute and customer loyalty. I thought VW is sincere to fix this emission issue and work with impacted consumers. I suffered twice by this VW fraud, first after knowing that I had been polluting the air and destroying our environment by driving my 2012 Passat TDI, and then not been able to use the car for months as it failed SMOG test. I was hoping to get rid of it after the court settlement, but I got into an accident and car got totaled. But unfortunately, due to the diesel emission fraud the car resale value went so low and I literally got 1/3 of the original price I paid, which was not enough to even buy a decent used car.

I was hoping that upon VW fraud case settlement, I should be compensated for the balance, but after such a long wait, I found out that the registration for the fraud claim I did in October/November 2015 was not sufficient and I had to submit another claim for which the deadline was September 2016!!! When I didn't hear from VW on the claim and what are the next steps for me, I was told that I was supposed to sign a different claim (not the goodwill claim, that I signed up). As I had not submitted another claim, I am not eligible for the VW settlement Claim anymore!!! This is really sad and BAD customer service. I called their customer service team, who was not able to assist me with this and I'm not going to get anything for this fraud that they committed. They asked me to call their legal team to address the issue.

After leaving multiple messages, I received call from Casey **, who told me the same that I missed the deadline to apply to be eligible for claim and there's nothing that can be done now. I'm very disappointed and disgusted by this whole ordeal by such a reputable organization (at one point), they lied, and screwed up big time, and now cutting corners to avoid paying consumers. In this entire ordeal, I learned my lesson and for sure will never buy another car from VW, Audi or whoever they're affiliated with. Volkswagen still cheating with consumers on emission. VW management shame on you!!!

I surrendered my Volkswagen Jetta for the diesel recall on 1/18/17 and Volkswagen has not paid off my lender as of today's date. I continue to make my payments to keep my account current and preserve my credit, even though I have signed power of attorney over to Volkswagen. I am not making any progress with Volkswagen. It's a different story every time I call them. I need assistance please. I have every phone call and correspondence written down for verification. I have received my final offer, and Volkswagen has admitted over the phone they made a mistake on the payoff amount, even though they are supposed to contact my lender (Santander) to verify the payoff amount.

VW are liars. They shortchanged me on the diesel buyback. They are giving me 1/2 of the original offer even though I have put zero miles on the car since the original letter. They have customers at their mercy because no one can afford to risk they damage the car before the buyback. I thought I was smart and bought a new car and stored my car at the VW Dealer. I called to complain and got the runaround and transferred from one person to another until I was so annoyed I gave up. They have lost me as a customer.

Every time I call regarding my issue I get the runaround from a representative, obviously reading from a script. I called over 3 times in one day asking to speak to a manager, and the last time it was almost as if I was put on hold for her to go take a smoke break, and still have not been in contact with anyone other than a first level customer service rep who can't do anything to resolve my situation. It's obvious that Volkswagen Corporate has the power and I am just a little mouse. They feed the customer service reps the lines and even though they know very well that I am being wronged, I have no way of speaking to anyone who has the power to resolve the issue so I am completely powerless. Volkswagen corporation is evil and corrupt to the core. I will stop at nothing to prevent everyone I come across for the rest of my life to never buy a Volkswagen and to never let anyone they know to buy a Volkswagen.

In addition to feeling robbed every time we took the car in for service, we have now been waiting since early last November for our settlement from the diesel gate thing. We were initially told that Volkswagen had 20 business days to review our paperwork. That took 3 months. Then we were told once we received our "final offer" it would only take a couple of days to get an appointment to do the buyback thing. The earliest appointment we can get is the end of March. Meanwhile, we get penalized for the mileage we put on the car (my wife is in sales so it's considerably more than the 12,500 per year limit). I have many other complaints about the car, the company, and the dealership, but they echo so many other reviews here I won't bother. Before you purchase a Volkswagen please consider how ethically bankrupt the company is and ask yourself if you really want to do business with them.

TDI Settlement - The initial process of having VW review my documents took much longer than the stated/required time and I anticipated a delay due to the volume. I received my final offer letter 12/28/2016 and before I could send them back my car was totaled on 12/30/2016. I have since called the 1-844-98-CLAIM number listed on the VW claim site 4 times. I have gotten a different answer every time on how to switch the claim to restitution only. I was advised that I do qualify for restitution and I hope that is true. I've been advised to fill out the 24-page paper claim and send it in. I was then told that my login would be restarted and I would then file for restitution only. To restart the website would take 3 days. It's been a week and nothing has changed on the website. I've asked for a supervisor to call me which would take 24-72 business hours and I'm beyond that and no call.

I called back today and was advised a new option to start a new claim on the website with a different email address. I again asked for a supervisor to call, however I have NO faith that it will ever happen. I'm not about to fill out a 24-page paper claim form or create a new email address just to start the claim process all over again online. VW has all my ownership information and it has been verified. I can understand submitting proof that the car was in an accident and rendered a total loss. I have no problem submitting additional required documentation, but to start all over after months of waiting is ridiculous to ask their customers.

I have had 6 VW's since 1968, and they do not work well. Yes I am a chump. I get drawn in by VWs nice fit and handling. But, believe me they make a very unreliable car. But the worst part is the arrogance that imbues every VW. Of course the TDI cheating scandal just underscores decades of this arrogance. When the Passat I had got bad coils a few years back they would not admit it. They would only replace them one at time as they failed.

When a brand new Jetta gas model had the oil seal break all over my garage after 4k miles it was just business as usual. I have had every sort of fan failure, electric issue under the sun. Both my Passat and daughter's Jetta heater blowers sound like birds chirping when you take left turn. Bring it under warranty and VW says no problem found. How about blinker signals that do not work when it get below 25 degrees F? Friends, any car can have problems but with VW they just don't care and that attitude just cost them billions of dollars, so far, and millions of USA customers. The brand is permanently sullied. I bet they don't care since they can make up their lost sales in China, they think.

This process took way too long to solve. I had divorced and changed my name before the recall started. In filling out the many pages required by VW, a question was "have you had a name change." Oh! I wish I hadn't said yes. I sent proof of name change with an ID. My driver's license. This set me back a month or more with getting my paperwork done. No one had enough common sense to know how to handle a name change. One CS said I needed a proof of a marriage certificate. "What??? Marriage certificate," I said, "I was divorced." People, I was on the phone for 2 hours and 15 minutes wanting to know how to resolve how to show another way to prove my name change. I sent a copy of the page in my divorce papers that proved my name change.

This was not enough. I had to send my whole divorce decree. In my opinion That's not their business but I sent it anyway thinking I would finally get my appt for the buyback. Two weeks later I was finally approved and then was sent a calendar to make appt. The first available day was another month wait. Ridiculous! Then I found out that the buyback check will be five business days after the appt before depositing. So I asked if a car would be provided for me the five to seven days that I would be without transportation. No! Was the answer. Who does this? I don't have a second car. This whole thing has been very stressful. I will never buy a VW again. Good riddance.

We have 2 VW Diesel TDI's and we have been corresponding with VW for 3 months about both the buyback and the modification. We got the final approval letter for the modification back very quickly but once you call to schedule an appointment at the dealership, they say that the modification hasn't even been developed yet and they give you 1/3 of the money they owe but not until a modification has been APPROVED which could be several months and then you get the other 2/3 of the money once it is installed. A TOTAL SCAM!

We then decided that they is so scandalous that we don't either one of our VW's anymore so we called and said we changed our mind and want to turn in both VWs. Of course when we call, they say the final offer has been approved for the buyback and we should get an email in our portal any day. That was a month ago... In the meantime, we still have to pay the payments and VW is still making money off us. Something needs to be done. The customer service agents are clueless. VERY ANGRY... I will never buy a VW again.

I turned in my 2015 TDI diesel sportwagen on December 30, 2016 to Santa Monica Volkswagen. On a car which had real aftermarket depreciation, as it was an in-demand car recalled two months after I bought it, I was given $10k less than purchase price, and they did not factor in the ($1,500) upgrades I added on (custom light package, mats). I received my paltry settlement three days later - however, Volkswagen of America has NOT paid VW credit. I am not getting charged late fees for a car I no longer own. Both VW credit and the CSR at VW Claims recommend I make the car payment that was due on 12/31. When I met face to face with my "ambassador" who helped with the paperwork, he told me all fees would be settled immediately - so why would I not believe them??? Was considering an AllTrack - glad I passed, as I want nothing to do with VW ever again. I called VW corporate and they apologized. As if that matters.

The deception/lie that Volkswagen did on the diesel cars will affect you as a regular fuel Volkswagen car owner when it comes to trading in your car for something other than the bad reputation VW now. Be prepared to be raped when you get your trade in value as the dealerships are going to give you “Auction” since no one trusts VW anymore. They are concerned that if they were deceitful with the diesel, what’s to stop VW from making false claims about the gas VW’s. I have a 2015 VW Passat Limited, in excellent condition, financed for 4 yrs at 0% financing and my trade is worth $7,500 at “Auction” per the other than VW dealerships (Dec 23, 2016), I have NEVER been upside down on trading in a vehicle before, and note, this isn’t upside down, this is rape, over $7k upside down. And NO, I don’t want another VW!! One very upset VW owner that has a worthless vehicle now due to their false claims on the diesel.

I bought my 2010 VW CC sport a few months ago. I was pretty happy with it at first. I rolled 60K and took it down to Hallmark (Henderson TN) dealership. I asked for the 60k service that my manual stated it needed which includes the following: oil change, spark plugs and coils change, tire rotation, brake inspection. I paid 300 for all this to be completed. After leaving the dealership my car starts misfiring after only 20 min. I drive it home and called the dealership only to be told CARBON build up in the motor needed to be cleaned. (There is no carbon build up.) I asked for more details and they hung up. So I decided to look into my car and see what they "actually did".

Lo and behold the spark plugs were still in the car from 2014. They charged me $90 for the tune up that they did not even do. I looked at the coils and it was the same thing. Except the coils were the original 2010 ones. Now my car wont even stay running because of something that they did during their "SERVICE". They want to charge me another 1300 for them to re-diagnose the issue and clean the non existent carbon. (The carbon was previously cleaned before taking it to them.) MY advice, do the basic maintenance yourself and don't ever visit this dealership. If I could afford to swap this VW off it would be gone like yesterday.

In October 2016 I registered my 2013 VW Jetta TDI with VW as a buyback. As soon as requested I submitted copies of registration, driver's licenses and lien holder info. About a month later (definitely not within the qp days VW was supposed to respond). I got a "final" offer letter. I signed the correct places, had it notarized and faxed it on as directed. Two weeks and two phone calls later to customer support the status remained as "waiting for fax". So I faxed the documents again. Another wasted phone call to CS to find out why they don't/can't acknowledge receiving my fax... Then I get an email stating I didn't send all pages of my offer. So back to another fax ($8) every time. Twenty four hours later status is 'waiting for fax'... I have transmission receipt showing all 7 pages were successfully sent. Another call to CS and again they give me a non answer... "I have no way of knowing". VW is stalling. What is our next recourse?

Handles very well. Extremely smooth ride. Corners incredibly. Quite stable. The Volkswagen Tiguan 2017 is an all new crossover. Drives and handles like a dream. Extremely comfortable for the tall. Not so gadgety. Easy to read dash and controls. Rolls out with a lot of extras.

I am part of the VW diesel lawsuit. I think Volkswagen is trying to make me their enemy for life. Five times I have had to send the same legible document, except to anyone who is legally blind, to them. Finally after at least 10 attempts, I got someone on their 800 number. She was polite but totally in the dark as to what is going on and totally unhelpful. VW keeps telling me to hit the non-showing, if non-existent chat button on their e-mail and portal. Show it to me VW!!! They are just trying to see if you will give up. IS this what the court and our lawyers agreed upon. VW, I will never ever do business with you again. Your dealership stinks too!

Runs forever with little maintenance. Gets good gas mileage. I love my bug. It's easy to drive, fits in small parking spaces. I was worried about cargo space but you would be totally surprised the room and what I can fit in there!

I like my diesel Volkswagen Jetta but the biggest problem I have with it is it shakes like crazy when stopping at lights or any other time I stop especially in the summer. Volkswagen has no answer for this and doesn't seem to care. Spent lots of money trying to fix something unfixable. Also radiator fluid sometimes leaks. No reason why. Volkswagen should have done a recall. It seems lots of people have the same problem with this car. I am not happy with the Volkswagen people. Very disappointed as German engineering is usually excellent.

Volkswagen Company Profile