Volkswagen

Compare Car Brands

Research top Car Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Thanks to the fabulous engineering at Volkswagen USA, my 2001 VW Jetta 1.8 Turbo has been in and out of VW dealerships like salmon up the stream during mating season. As an honest man or woman you are lost to these salesmen and corporate (types) at VW. I have seen a water pump recently kill the timing belt and the cylinder head, some 15,000 miles before the water pump should ever have to be replaced. I've seen the all-too-often problems of the repeated check engine light, windows, and anything but expected performance out of my VW Jetta.

If not for one great dealership (Hyannis Volkswagen), my experience with VW service would be horrendous to say the least. First of all, VW service is $65+ an hour for labor, but who is really getting paid this money? Twenty bucks an hour to the techs, 15 of those dollars to healthcare and all the goodies, 10 more for overhead, while leaving 20 dollars plus to the pockets of the greediest and could-care-less-about-their-customer "businessmen" in the world.

I used to say I love my VW, now all I can say is I hate it and I hate the company. Advice: never, ever, buy a VW. Why pay $20,000 to drive one off the lot plus another $10,000 grand to "service" it before it reaches 50,000 miles? To all those folks out there in my predicament, and I know there are thousands of you, my heart goes out to each and every one of you.

When I first bought my GTI in 2011. My clutch had issues from the beginning. 2 years later my moon-roof died. They wanted 1,000 to fix it. My driver side window won't roll up. I had to have my transmission rebuilt 3 months ago and then I had to replace my coils. My car has only 85,000 miles on it. Now I'm replacing a tie rod and cannot find the inner tool anywhere. I'm so over this car and so disappointed. My family told me to buy a Honda. I wish I would've listened. They all own Honda's. No maintenance cars. As soon as I can I'm getting rid of it and VW for life. I've read so many terrible reviews about VW products. It's terrible.

I have had to replace my engine twice in the last 10 months. My 2012 VW CC with 89k miles has cost $11,000 in repairs in the last 10 months with nothing covered by warranty. I understand that mistakes happen in business, but the way you judge a company is how they respond to a mistake. Needless to say I can never recommend buying a VW to anyone.

They sold a faulty truck. Wow. Where do I begin? Ok let me start by saying my husband and I bought from a Volkswagen dealer because of the Volkswagen good representation of being honest and of quality. Well in our situation that wasn't the case. The dealer we bought from sold us a 25k used truck with a faulty engine. Unfortunately we bought from Texas so there is no lemon law. I will never deal or recommend Volkswagen ever again. It seems like they don't care about the products they sell just the money they make.

I own a 2013 GTI and in November 2015 the water pump started leaking fluid. After taking the car to the VW dealership, I was informed there was a recall on the water pump and it was replaced. Fast forward to 2017; the water pump that was replaced in 2015 starting leaking (having found this out after taking the GTI back to VW). I informed the service department that water pump was replaced due to a recall. They preceded to locate when the water pump had been replaced. The service department contact Volkswagen checking to see they would pay for repairs since the water pump was replaced due to the recall...

Volkswagen would only pay half of the bill. I contacted Volkswagen, stating that evidently the water pumps are faulty if only after 14 months after installation the water pump requires replacement again. The representative that was helping me, advised she contacted someone at Volkswagen and that is all they would do. I told her again... after only 14 months and the water pump is being replaced again, that tells me that Volkswagen water pumps are faulty!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Volkswagen?

I would have thought that Volkswagen would have learned from their mistakes and lies that caused them humiliation and tarnished their repute and customer loyalty. I thought VW is sincere to fix this emission issue and work with impacted consumers. I suffered twice by this VW fraud, first after knowing that I had been polluting the air and destroying our environment by driving my 2012 Passat TDI, and then not been able to use the car for months as it failed SMOG test. I was hoping to get rid of it after the court settlement, but I got into an accident and car got totaled. But unfortunately, due to the diesel emission fraud the car resale value went so low and I literally got 1/3 of the original price I paid, which was not enough to even buy a decent used car.

I was hoping that upon VW fraud case settlement, I should be compensated for the balance, but after such a long wait, I found out that the registration for the fraud claim I did in October/November 2015 was not sufficient and I had to submit another claim for which the deadline was September 2016!!! When I didn't hear from VW on the claim and what are the next steps for me, I was told that I was supposed to sign a different claim (not the goodwill claim, that I signed up). As I had not submitted another claim, I am not eligible for the VW settlement Claim anymore!!! This is really sad and BAD customer service. I called their customer service team, who was not able to assist me with this and I'm not going to get anything for this fraud that they committed. They asked me to call their legal team to address the issue.

After leaving multiple messages, I received call from Casey **, who told me the same that I missed the deadline to apply to be eligible for claim and there's nothing that can be done now. I'm very disappointed and disgusted by this whole ordeal by such a reputable organization (at one point), they lied, and screwed up big time, and now cutting corners to avoid paying consumers. In this entire ordeal, I learned my lesson and for sure will never buy another car from VW, Audi or whoever they're affiliated with. Volkswagen still cheating with consumers on emission. VW management shame on you!!!

I surrendered my Volkswagen Jetta for the diesel recall on 1/18/17 and Volkswagen has not paid off my lender as of today's date. I continue to make my payments to keep my account current and preserve my credit, even though I have signed power of attorney over to Volkswagen. I am not making any progress with Volkswagen. It's a different story every time I call them. I need assistance please. I have every phone call and correspondence written down for verification. I have received my final offer, and Volkswagen has admitted over the phone they made a mistake on the payoff amount, even though they are supposed to contact my lender (Santander) to verify the payoff amount.

VW are liars. They shortchanged me on the diesel buyback. They are giving me 1/2 of the original offer even though I have put zero miles on the car since the original letter. They have customers at their mercy because no one can afford to risk they damage the car before the buyback. I thought I was smart and bought a new car and stored my car at the VW Dealer. I called to complain and got the runaround and transferred from one person to another until I was so annoyed I gave up. They have lost me as a customer.

Every time I call regarding my issue I get the runaround from a representative, obviously reading from a script. I called over 3 times in one day asking to speak to a manager, and the last time it was almost as if I was put on hold for her to go take a smoke break, and still have not been in contact with anyone other than a first level customer service rep who can't do anything to resolve my situation. It's obvious that Volkswagen Corporate has the power and I am just a little mouse. They feed the customer service reps the lines and even though they know very well that I am being wronged, I have no way of speaking to anyone who has the power to resolve the issue so I am completely powerless. Volkswagen corporation is evil and corrupt to the core. I will stop at nothing to prevent everyone I come across for the rest of my life to never buy a Volkswagen and to never let anyone they know to buy a Volkswagen.

In addition to feeling robbed every time we took the car in for service, we have now been waiting since early last November for our settlement from the diesel gate thing. We were initially told that Volkswagen had 20 business days to review our paperwork. That took 3 months. Then we were told once we received our "final offer" it would only take a couple of days to get an appointment to do the buyback thing. The earliest appointment we can get is the end of March. Meanwhile, we get penalized for the mileage we put on the car (my wife is in sales so it's considerably more than the 12,500 per year limit). I have many other complaints about the car, the company, and the dealership, but they echo so many other reviews here I won't bother. Before you purchase a Volkswagen please consider how ethically bankrupt the company is and ask yourself if you really want to do business with them.

TDI Settlement - The initial process of having VW review my documents took much longer than the stated/required time and I anticipated a delay due to the volume. I received my final offer letter 12/28/2016 and before I could send them back my car was totaled on 12/30/2016. I have since called the 1-844-98-CLAIM number listed on the VW claim site 4 times. I have gotten a different answer every time on how to switch the claim to restitution only. I was advised that I do qualify for restitution and I hope that is true. I've been advised to fill out the 24-page paper claim and send it in. I was then told that my login would be restarted and I would then file for restitution only. To restart the website would take 3 days. It's been a week and nothing has changed on the website. I've asked for a supervisor to call me which would take 24-72 business hours and I'm beyond that and no call.

I called back today and was advised a new option to start a new claim on the website with a different email address. I again asked for a supervisor to call, however I have NO faith that it will ever happen. I'm not about to fill out a 24-page paper claim form or create a new email address just to start the claim process all over again online. VW has all my ownership information and it has been verified. I can understand submitting proof that the car was in an accident and rendered a total loss. I have no problem submitting additional required documentation, but to start all over after months of waiting is ridiculous to ask their customers.

I have had 6 VW's since 1968, and they do not work well. Yes I am a chump. I get drawn in by VWs nice fit and handling. But, believe me they make a very unreliable car. But the worst part is the arrogance that imbues every VW. Of course the TDI cheating scandal just underscores decades of this arrogance. When the Passat I had got bad coils a few years back they would not admit it. They would only replace them one at time as they failed.

When a brand new Jetta gas model had the oil seal break all over my garage after 4k miles it was just business as usual. I have had every sort of fan failure, electric issue under the sun. Both my Passat and daughter's Jetta heater blowers sound like birds chirping when you take left turn. Bring it under warranty and VW says no problem found. How about blinker signals that do not work when it get below 25 degrees F? Friends, any car can have problems but with VW they just don't care and that attitude just cost them billions of dollars, so far, and millions of USA customers. The brand is permanently sullied. I bet they don't care since they can make up their lost sales in China, they think.

This process took way too long to solve. I had divorced and changed my name before the recall started. In filling out the many pages required by VW, a question was "have you had a name change." Oh! I wish I hadn't said yes. I sent proof of name change with an ID. My driver's license. This set me back a month or more with getting my paperwork done. No one had enough common sense to know how to handle a name change. One CS said I needed a proof of a marriage certificate. "What??? Marriage certificate," I said, "I was divorced." People, I was on the phone for 2 hours and 15 minutes wanting to know how to resolve how to show another way to prove my name change. I sent a copy of the page in my divorce papers that proved my name change.

This was not enough. I had to send my whole divorce decree. In my opinion That's not their business but I sent it anyway thinking I would finally get my appt for the buyback. Two weeks later I was finally approved and then was sent a calendar to make appt. The first available day was another month wait. Ridiculous! Then I found out that the buyback check will be five business days after the appt before depositing. So I asked if a car would be provided for me the five to seven days that I would be without transportation. No! Was the answer. Who does this? I don't have a second car. This whole thing has been very stressful. I will never buy a VW again. Good riddance.

We have 2 VW Diesel TDI's and we have been corresponding with VW for 3 months about both the buyback and the modification. We got the final approval letter for the modification back very quickly but once you call to schedule an appointment at the dealership, they say that the modification hasn't even been developed yet and they give you 1/3 of the money they owe but not until a modification has been APPROVED which could be several months and then you get the other 2/3 of the money once it is installed. A TOTAL SCAM!

We then decided that they is so scandalous that we don't either one of our VW's anymore so we called and said we changed our mind and want to turn in both VWs. Of course when we call, they say the final offer has been approved for the buyback and we should get an email in our portal any day. That was a month ago... In the meantime, we still have to pay the payments and VW is still making money off us. Something needs to be done. The customer service agents are clueless. VERY ANGRY... I will never buy a VW again.

I turned in my 2015 TDI diesel sportwagen on December 30, 2016 to Santa Monica Volkswagen. On a car which had real aftermarket depreciation, as it was an in-demand car recalled two months after I bought it, I was given $10k less than purchase price, and they did not factor in the ($1,500) upgrades I added on (custom light package, mats). I received my paltry settlement three days later - however, Volkswagen of America has NOT paid VW credit. I am not getting charged late fees for a car I no longer own. Both VW credit and the CSR at VW Claims recommend I make the car payment that was due on 12/31. When I met face to face with my "ambassador" who helped with the paperwork, he told me all fees would be settled immediately - so why would I not believe them??? Was considering an AllTrack - glad I passed, as I want nothing to do with VW ever again. I called VW corporate and they apologized. As if that matters.

The deception/lie that Volkswagen did on the diesel cars will affect you as a regular fuel Volkswagen car owner when it comes to trading in your car for something other than the bad reputation VW now. Be prepared to be raped when you get your trade in value as the dealerships are going to give you “Auction” since no one trusts VW anymore. They are concerned that if they were deceitful with the diesel, what’s to stop VW from making false claims about the gas VW’s. I have a 2015 VW Passat Limited, in excellent condition, financed for 4 yrs at 0% financing and my trade is worth $7,500 at “Auction” per the other than VW dealerships (Dec 23, 2016), I have NEVER been upside down on trading in a vehicle before, and note, this isn’t upside down, this is rape, over $7k upside down. And NO, I don’t want another VW!! One very upset VW owner that has a worthless vehicle now due to their false claims on the diesel.

I bought my 2010 VW CC sport a few months ago. I was pretty happy with it at first. I rolled 60K and took it down to Hallmark (Henderson TN) dealership. I asked for the 60k service that my manual stated it needed which includes the following: oil change, spark plugs and coils change, tire rotation, brake inspection. I paid 300 for all this to be completed. After leaving the dealership my car starts misfiring after only 20 min. I drive it home and called the dealership only to be told CARBON build up in the motor needed to be cleaned. (There is no carbon build up.) I asked for more details and they hung up. So I decided to look into my car and see what they "actually did".

Lo and behold the spark plugs were still in the car from 2014. They charged me $90 for the tune up that they did not even do. I looked at the coils and it was the same thing. Except the coils were the original 2010 ones. Now my car wont even stay running because of something that they did during their "SERVICE". They want to charge me another 1300 for them to re-diagnose the issue and clean the non existent carbon. (The carbon was previously cleaned before taking it to them.) MY advice, do the basic maintenance yourself and don't ever visit this dealership. If I could afford to swap this VW off it would be gone like yesterday.

In October 2016 I registered my 2013 VW Jetta TDI with VW as a buyback. As soon as requested I submitted copies of registration, driver's licenses and lien holder info. About a month later (definitely not within the qp days VW was supposed to respond). I got a "final" offer letter. I signed the correct places, had it notarized and faxed it on as directed. Two weeks and two phone calls later to customer support the status remained as "waiting for fax". So I faxed the documents again. Another wasted phone call to CS to find out why they don't/can't acknowledge receiving my fax... Then I get an email stating I didn't send all pages of my offer. So back to another fax ($8) every time. Twenty four hours later status is 'waiting for fax'... I have transmission receipt showing all 7 pages were successfully sent. Another call to CS and again they give me a non answer... "I have no way of knowing". VW is stalling. What is our next recourse?

Handles very well. Extremely smooth ride. Corners incredibly. Quite stable. The Volkswagen Tiguan 2017 is an all new crossover. Drives and handles like a dream. Extremely comfortable for the tall. Not so gadgety. Easy to read dash and controls. Rolls out with a lot of extras.

I am part of the VW diesel lawsuit. I think Volkswagen is trying to make me their enemy for life. Five times I have had to send the same legible document, except to anyone who is legally blind, to them. Finally after at least 10 attempts, I got someone on their 800 number. She was polite but totally in the dark as to what is going on and totally unhelpful. VW keeps telling me to hit the non-showing, if non-existent chat button on their e-mail and portal. Show it to me VW!!! They are just trying to see if you will give up. IS this what the court and our lawyers agreed upon. VW, I will never ever do business with you again. Your dealership stinks too!

Runs forever with little maintenance. Gets good gas mileage. I love my bug. It's easy to drive, fits in small parking spaces. I was worried about cargo space but you would be totally surprised the room and what I can fit in there!

I like my diesel Volkswagen Jetta but the biggest problem I have with it is it shakes like crazy when stopping at lights or any other time I stop especially in the summer. Volkswagen has no answer for this and doesn't seem to care. Spent lots of money trying to fix something unfixable. Also radiator fluid sometimes leaks. No reason why. Volkswagen should have done a recall. It seems lots of people have the same problem with this car. I am not happy with the Volkswagen people. Very disappointed as German engineering is usually excellent.

I have a 2011 VW Jetta diesel and am trying to complete a VW buyback per the recent court settlement. In mid-October 2016 I submitted the basic information about my car through the VW court settlement web portal and created an online account. Within 10 days I received a preliminary "offer" valuation and was told to send back scanned copies of my driver's license and the legal title to my car. I did that and ten days later received a "final offer" and a 7 page document that needed to be signed and notarized in order to show my "acceptance" of the offer. I was never told that these documents needed to be sent in PDF format and I scanned and sent them back (unfortunately) in jpeg format through my account portal. The portal in my online account closed when I sent them online and I had to call VW (their settlement claims phone number) to verify if they had received them in acceptable format.

After a 45 minute wait I got a helpful claims assistant (the only one) who told me that they were UNACCEPTABLE because they were not in PDF format and she verified this by pulling up my account and viewing my submission. She helped me with instructions on how to scan them and convert these seven pages to PDF and save them for later resubmittal. At this time I was told that I could not resubmit them until I received an official reply from VW that my originally submitted forms were unacceptable accompanied by a request to resend them in PDF format. Only at that time would my account portal be reopened. I was told that it might take a few weeks before this review would probably happen. At that time I could resubmit the forms for review, with another 30 day wait turnaround time.

I was rather upset and decided to speed the process along by sending copies of these 7 signed pages via certified mail to the Auburn Hills (Michigan) PO box that was listed on a prior VW information sheet for mailing in any required documents. I paid my local post office over $4 to send this 8 1/2 x 11 envelope Certified mail with a USPS tracking number. It was mailed on November 19, 2016. I was told by the post office it should arrive by November 23rd.

On November 25 I went online to the USPS tracking site and entered the tracking number. What did I find? The letter had arrived at the Detroit Destination Facility at 1:10 PM. The status of the letter was "In Transit to Destination". Today, November 28 at 5 PM, I checked back to see if VW had accepted my letter and the status was the same, "In Transit" with a note that read: "The package was delayed and will not be delivered by the expected delivery date. An updated delivery date will be provided when available." VW is obviously not accepting mail at this designated PO Box in spite of it being listed as their mailbox for claims submission!!! Other VW owners be warned!!!

Today (Nov 28, 2016) I called VW again at their designated number (1-844-98-CLAIM) and after another 45 minute wait got a claims assistant who reiterated that she had no ability to reopen my claim portal and that I had to wait a few weeks for VW to review my original submission of forms and reply to whatever request was issued for a resubmission of data. This person would not connect me to a supervisor in spite of my insistence and she also claimed she had no knowledge of the fact that mail was not being accepted at their designated mail address. She was cordial but totally unable to do anything but listen. The phone call ended with me verifying that VW has no understanding of the words "Customer Service" and that this buyback will take 4 to 6 months for me to complete. There is no way I will ever buy another VW automobile and I will discourage any potential buyer from doing the same.

I filled out claim. Was told 10 business days I would receive documentation notarized then I would be scheduled an appointment to bring my car into dealership for buyback program. Status of claim says received reviewed and processed. Called CS - getting runaround. They don't have any answers. Kid on phone, supervisors talking in background tell them non truth about results. Someone needs to look into this situation asap. This is fraudulent because the court settlement is over. Should be able to bring car in for buyback.

I've had my 2013 Tiguan for 3 years now (3 months out of warranty). I love the way it looks and drives. However, even though I've kept up with VW's recommended service, I just paid $2500 for repairs that shouldn't be happening on a car with 45k miles (a new alternator, timing case cover gaskets, control arms replaced, carbon cleaning). Just two months ago, the fuel door wouldn't open. The dealer sanded it down, calling it a manufacturing flaw (which I still don't get since it worked for a bit over 3 years). What I'm getting at is that this VW is needing way too many costly repairs for a 3 year old car. I was expecting to have this car for well over 100k miles in great condition but I'm not sure it's going to work out that way. They sold me on the idea of German engineering being so good, lol. Fool me once.

I bought a VW Tiguan 2009 from Koons Tyson Chrysler Dodge with 58K miles. The problems never stopped ever since the purchase. First, its engine hood release broke, then is truck lock broke that, then brake, then AC, then car check engine light start to come on, and the car is shaking when idle and low speed. After changed all spark plugs and coils problem remained. I went through 3 shops to find out that the engine timing chain tensioner have to be replaced. It will cost me close to $4K to do it. The mechanic told me it’s a common problem for that model year because VW changed turbo but I don’t understand why they didn’t do a recall. What kind of a car has common major engine issue at barely 60K and company continue to ignoring it. I bought the VW thinking good German engineering, well it turns out to be the exact opposite. VERY DISAPPOINTED!!!! Never VW again...

Each month I have to call VW Credit so they remove the tax as it was already paid to my state as they note every month yet it magically "reappears" and they fix it for the month I call but never for the entire period. I love the vehicles but this will be the last one I have after spending a significant amount of time each month getting this corrected, only to have it reappear on the following billing cycle. Incompetent and probably illegal. They probably won't even pay attention to this. Next stop is to seek legal counsel. Can't wait until I am no longer upside down on the vehicle to get another vehicle and separate all ties with VW Credit.

Unfortunately, in only about a month after a complete failure and replacement of the Turbocharger unit, an even more dramatic failure occurred. After an erratic idle, the vehicle EPC light came on, followed by a loud metallic noise coming from the engine. We immediately stopped the vehicle and arranged towing. According to the authorized Volkswagen service technician, the timing chain tensioner has completely failed and has caused a damage to the cylinder head. Total cost to replace cylinder head, timing chain, tensioner, parts, labor = more than $5,500.00.

It is worth noting that we have been more than diligent in making sure that the vehicle has always been serviced according to the maintenance schedule. When we bought the vehicle new, we had purchased the extended 7-year premium warranty extension from Fidelity (which just expired earlier this year). After spending close to $2,000 out-of-pocket to repair the turbo unit, we are now faced with another $5,500+ bill. A quick search on the internet reveals that there are numerous early failures of the timing chain tensioner on the 2.0T engine, including lawsuits and a pending class-action investigation.

It is almost not an overstatement to say that we have experienced nothing but grief with this vehicle. Everything from complete engine failure, turbocharger failure, all-wheel drive differential failure, fuel pump failure, air intake failure, throttle body failure, sunshade failure to a "check engine light" coming on every 6 months like clockwork, requiring "random" wild goose chase fixes such as "clean up the air intake gum"...

VW has definitely a huge amount of responsibility here. It is obvious that all these failures are way above the average normal expectations that a car owner should have from a 2009 vehicle that has been serviced according to the schedule. Faulty parts, skipped due-diligence in design and test or whatever other reason, it is clear that VW has ONCE AGAIN proven to U.S. consumers that their products are of inferior quality and therefore their advertising is deceiving and misleading and their products overpriced. The case of the timing chain tensioner is a great example of how severe a failure can be. This goes beyond the scope of unnecessary burden or inconvenience. This a dangerous failure as when it happens it can result in complete immobilization of the vehicle causing a great threat to the safety of the driver, passengers and other vehicles on the road.

My five years old 2011 VW Tiguan had two major mechanical problems. One problem with the fuel injection was fixed for free because of the recall. Another problem was the antifreeze leak that would cost me more than $3K to fix. That made me decide to trade it in for the reliable Volvo. One week after giving away Tiguan, the second car made by VW Jetta Sport Wagon 2013 didn't start. The dealership "diagnosed" sensor problem that can be fixed for "only" $300. After few hours they call us back (probably thought they didn't ripped us off enough) and told us that the computer is broken and need to be replaced.

It will be another $1600 + $300 for the sensor that might be broken or not. We are very scared to hear from those VW people tomorrow. The car is very expensive and in the hands of people we don't trust who "keep finding" wrong things with very costly parts. I already told my sad story everyone I know. At this point we used to have two new cars and ended up with nothing just because we shopped at VW. I hope people learn from our mistake and that VW manufacturing stop producing these very expensive but so below lowest quality cars.

I am an owner of two VW Rabbits on which I invested substantial money to adapt them with hand controls. I do love VW cars and I was planning to buy another one but shortly. After 60,000 miles the 2007 started jerking and clunking down to the next lowest gear. It shudders and jolts the whole car especially from 3 to 2 and/or 2 to 1. I took the car to Volkswagen Kearny Mesa (8040 Balboa Ave San Diego, CA (858) 300-8160) and they confirmed my suspicion: I am facing the dreadful VALVE BODY issue!

After talking to previous VW service managers, copious reading in the vortex forums and research in NHTSA I realized this is a well-known issue by VW that affects AWTF60SN (09G) transmissions. Unfortunately the 2009 Rabbit just recently exhibited the same symptoms which now leaves me with two soon to be undrivable cars. One is the backup of the other so I don't have to rent hand controlled cars when I service one.

I would like to give VW the opportunity to do the right thing and fix my two vehicles ASAP and at VW cost. I am sure that the reviews I found in Consumer Affairs are not an accurate representation of how VW treats its customers. Let me use this opportunity to also bring to your attention that your website shows no recalls for any of my vehicles while clearly there is one and that I was never informed despite VW having my information. I will wait week to hear from VW and I am confident of a happy resolution.

Volkswagen Company Profile