Volkswagen

Compare Car Brands

Research top Car Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Created a claim for buyback a year ago, after submitting all paperworks claim was denied. Denied because the car was bought from "junk yard". Car was registered and legal on streets of California, other salvaged cars got buy back but not ours... I submitted an appeal and... nothing, since March I have not heard anything. Claims processing can't tell me anything, appeal department doesn't answer. It looks like they are just dragging time so they don't have to pay.

I have a 2009 EOS - never again. While I like the car, especially the convertible top and driving experience, it has been multiple mechanical failures, some covered under recalls, others out of my pocket. I have had the injectors and ABS module replaced under recalls, and paid $2200 for a rear main seal (part $25 - the rest labor) caused by the engine oil pump malfunctioning and blowing the seal. When I got the car back after the ABS recall, it went into limp mode (stuck in second gear) and I returned to the dealership. Code on transmission says it has faulted 36 times - no dates - but this was the first indication it had a problem - no check engine light ever.

Volkswagen says "Sorry - out of warranty" with no recognition of 36 previous faults, nor that problem appeared after testing for the recall on ABS module. Coincidence? They claim no. Right. Dealer tells me replacement is $5k-$6k, which is KBB value on sale to private party. Done with VW - working my way out of the two I have now. Know this: If the company hasn't been forced to do a recall on a problem, they will expect owner to pay. Doesn't seem like much has changed ever since US buyers have been lied to about the diesel fiasco.

After having issues with our dashboard lights going crazy, we began reading other complaints online. We learned that the issues we were having came directly from a faulty ABS module, and then came across a VW recall on our car for the ABS module. After talking to VW's Recall Department, they told us it did indeed fall under the specific recall, and we could take it into any dealer for a fix. Our car went in on a Tuesday morning, and after 3 days of poor customer service and no answers, the mechanic let us know the ABS Module would not be covered, and we would have to pay out of pocket. He said he had even called VW directly to verify they wouldn't pay for it. We were then quoted $1300 for the repair, plus a $225 diagnostic test. He suggested I call them directly.

I called the VW Recall Department again, and told them what happened. I let them know my biggest concern was the fact that they told us our car was part of this recall, and they were now unwilling to fix the issue. I also let them know the ABS brakes have always caused me issues, nearing killing me when I lost control while braking once. They said they would write it up, and look into it and get back to me in one business day. I am waiting to hear back, but there has been a lot of reason to think they will just use some excuse to not replace something so dangerous and faulty. We'll see.

Until now I have always had good luck with the VW corrosion warranty. I recently submitted a claim that they have refused to cover. They are telling me that the damage is due to a factory installed molding and not covered by warranty. It is corroding from under the paint, causing it to bubble. They say that it should be covered under the 4 year paint warranty and not the 12 year corrosion warranty since there is no visible corrosion. I requested information, and they replied "We would have to rely on the diagnosis determined by our dealerships."

The dealership said they send the pictures in and do not make the decision. They will give me very little information about the denial and to the best of my knowledge the determination is being made by someone who has only seen cellphone pictures. It seems that VW has added plastic trim pieces in areas prone to rusting as an excuse to void their own warranty. I love the car, but it is very disappointing they will not stand behind their warranty. It is still one of the best warranties out there, but a warranty is only good if they are willing to stand behind it.

Wow, second low mile Volkswagen to have thousands of dollars in repairs. 2009 Volkswagen CC luxe with 60,000 miles needed a rear main seal replacement for $1500. 2009 Tiguan 44,000 miles needs a new steering rack and water pump for $3000. Car just lost power while my son was driving it, dangerous! Called Volkswagen for help with repairs, out of warranty no help provided!!! NEVER AGAIN!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Volkswagen?

VW Court Settlement Diesel Jetta - I have submitted my paperwork through the claims portal starting in January 2016. Each time, they say I am missing something. I submit the missing work and then there's something else wrong. They have had to "reset" my account twice saying for various reasons and each time I have to resubmit which starts the paperwork problem again. Something is wrong either with their collection of paperwork or they are stalling.

Disastrous Buy back procedures: Brought my second and FINAL V.W. diesel to the dealership. Prior to bringing it back I reconfirmed (2) times over the last (2) weeks what my E Check would be as well as the pay-off due my lender. When my car was dropped off I was shown the pay-off amount and it still reflected the amount due when I first contacted V.W. last January that I would accept the buyout. This was about $4,500.00 LESS than what I was quoted just 1 week prior. When the resolution specialist and I phoned the resolution center, curiously there was NO MENTION NOR any record of my calling to determine the updated amount due to me.

Only after repeated queries what this "uncovered". We asked to speak to a supervisor who finally said that "yes we see that you owe significantly less on your car", however we are unable to pay you the difference now, you must wait about (2) weeks to collect that overage that we will pay out even we know you do NOT owe it (we received an up to date pay-off letter two weeks ago.) This happened on the first V.W. that was turned in 6 mos. ago. It took over two months to get a check from the bank and then we received another one, (we destroyed it) from V.W. three months later. Be wary of VW... I am guessing that they are trying to delay all aspects of this farce "refunding you funds" as long as possible.

This is the worst bank in history. I always had perfect credit until I made the biggest mistake by leasing through them. Since 2011 I have been trying to dispute inaccurate information being reported by them on my credit file, every time I had disputed it they in return come back with worse information than before adding more 30 day lates. This can not be legal and they shouldn't get away with this. They are the most frustrating company in the world to deal with. Don't ever buy or lease through them. They will report incorrectly and when you try to dispute it they will report back with worse information than before.

I have a 2011 Volkswagen Golf TDI, which I bought new. It's one of the Diesel cars that VW was found to have lied about. About a year ago I signed up for the VW TDI settlement program and planned to turn in my TDI this fall. Now, to add insult to injury, the High Pressure Fuel Pump has failed, which I am told is catastrophic and will now cost $4500 to repair. Unless I repair the car I will not be eligible to turn the car back to VW or be able to have them retrofit it so that I may continue driving it. The car has 124,000 miles on it and the extended warranty, which I was not informed of, expired at 120000 miles, just a few months ago. I was never informed that there was an issue with VW fuel pumps.

Apparently, the High Pressure Fuel Pump was the subject of a federal investigation which I never heard about. Further, Volkswagen has paid for this repair on vehicles outside the extended warranty period. A quick web search reveals thousands of these "HPFP" failures. Please consider looking into this, as VW has set a precedent by paying for these repairs past warranty and now they will not cover mine, leaving me with this huge burden. Thank you.

Volkswagen cc - I had started a 3 year lease in 2010. I did everything I was told to do and the car was serviced in a diligent and timely manner. Midway through the lease while driving with my 2 young kids the car stalled and would not restart. It was a horrible experience. The diagnosis was carbon emissions in the fuel exhaust mechanism or something like that. I've since lost the records but I'm sure VW has them as I submitted everything. They denied any responsibility and I incurred over 1200$ worth of damage and repairs. They stated that it was a part of normal service. This always smelled bad to me and I finally decided to throw my hat into the ring today only to find out that the cc is not covered. Needless to say I'm very disappointed. This all still smells bad to me.

Volkswagen Taiguan 2016 with push button start will drain the battery to zero by itself. I turned off the car by pushing the button and left the car parked in the daylight. At night the car automatically turned on the headlights and drained the battery. I was stranded the next morning and had to call roadside assist. This is the most stupid thing on the car. With only 175 miles I had to call assistance because the car turned on its own lights while parked. The tow truck driver said I was the fifth Taiguan he had jump started because of this problem. VW needs to correct this. If the driver touches the kill button twice, or bumps it while getting out of the car the ignition will go on after the engine is shut off and will eventually turn the lights on leaving you stranded. Never use Auto Lights on this car.

I am in disgust that the VW buyback has not been handled properly or expeditiously for overseas military personnel. As a veteran and an overseas teacher for the Military, we deserve better treatment than you have given us and as like many infectious diseases and viruses, word spreads at the same rate! I hope that word of your treatment spreads like wildfire regarding your service and lack of support for the U.S. Military. I will surely do my part in this matter.

Form after form appears to be a stall tactic! The public information on the VW website stated that VW would take care of military personnel and shipping costs would be taken care of by VW. Ha! I have just paid approximately $3700 for shipping costs from S. Korea to Texas and hope that I receive a refund! At the rate of your response for email and other documents, I will probably be in my grave before I realize any reimbursements!

VWGoA settlement - This process is BEYOND ridiculous. I have been in "process" since October 2016. Every time I submit they want something different. Approved documents re-submitted are then not approved. Volkswagen lawyers are HORRIBLE. They stall at every point they can, as every moment they stall, means interest from the settlement money they SHOULD be paying that THEY promised, lining their pockets. As consumers, we are getting screwed. I will NEVER purchase another Volkswagen, they are liars and cheaters.

I purchased a brand-new model of 2016 VW Golf GTI last year. I haven't driven it much, which only has less than 4000 miles on it now. Recently, I had a flat tire due to the poor quality of Hankook tire (made in Korea) used by VW manufacturer. My flat tire happened when I was driving on a freeway (in very good condition) when the passenger side front tire suddenly burst a hole in its sidewall with no road hazard present. I called VW local dealership but was told to contact Hankook (the tire maker) directly by myself.

Hankook did not follow the company's established procedure for handling tire warranty, but rushed to an arbitrary judgement on tire damage in its own favor, insisting on saying it was caused by road hazard. It never allowed the local VW dealership to fill out a tire warranty coverage claim form on my behalf. I paid $200+ out of my own pocket for tire replacement. I deeply regret that VW chose Hankook over other better tire brands. Hankook tire's poor quality makes VW vehicles prone to road accidents. It also makes VW look cheap. For these reasons, I would strongly advise fellow motorists not to consider VW Golf GTI among their purchasing options.

So I get a postcard in the mail for a recall in my ABS system in my car (2009 VW Jetta). I make an appt at VW in Clarksburg WV for 0900 on June 19th. After sitting for an hour and a half I check the status of my car. The service manager says it should only take 30 minutes for my car and I told him is already been waiting an hour and a half. He goes, checks on my car. State's that they have to order a new ABS SYSTEM for my car which 9 out 10 times a car doesn't need it. But mine does. He then says they don't recommend me driving it until it's fixed. So I ask if they are going to give me a temporary or loaner vehicle to which he says "I can't. We don't have any." So I ask if they will provide a rental. He says "VW doesn't do that."

So what do I do? The manager says, "If you want your car you have to sign a waiver" and pushes my car keys into his pocket. So I was told I could have my car if I signed a waiver releasing them of liability if I get in an accident but they won't provide me with any type of vehicle to drive temporarily. So with great hesitation I sign and voice my opinion on how bad their service is and always has been but this was topping it. Told they'd call me when the replacement came in.

11 days later, I just called them and asked why they haven't called me about it. The manager again (how he's the service manager is beyond me bc he does a very poor job at retaining customers or helping them) says to me "I haven't called bc I haven't had any available appts open to get you in!" I said "don't you think you should call me so that I can make an appt at least?!?!? After all I am driving around with a disabled ABS system!!!"

Without any regard to my well being or my kids who ride in my vehicle or others on the road, he says "I guess I can get you in July 10th." You guess??? I am so appalled and so extremely angry at how incompetent and irresponsible this man is!! He lacks any concern for others and he's fat lazy **. Cannot and does not even attempt to help me in this situation. I highly suggest that VW replace him with someone who knows what they're are doing. I will never, ever buy another vehicle from VW!!! They have done nothing but give me a run around from day 1.

Owners of VW Tiguan are needed for an action Volkswagen Corporation US and Volkswagen Corporation Germany of Tiguan 2009 and other years for faulty roof drain hose. Faulty roof drain caused a flood in the vehicle floor that caused an engine failure, a failure of the computer system, and as a result a total loss of the car in my case.

For the first 3 years under warranty, my car had no problem at all. I bought my car in 2012 and it's been 5 years now with 40,000 miles. The car is still smooth and it's perfect. Nothing is leaking underneath the car. When I went today for my 40,000 service maintenance, they said there's a problem with my motor. Like the oil is leaking. I laughed inside and told myself, "What the **?" Hahaha.

I remembered my friend who was a sale person in Volkswagen told me that, "After your warranty don't go to Volkswagen. They're going to rip you off." I should of listened. But I told myself, "Let's see." I asked the guy, "Why is it leaking?" The car is new... It's only 5 years. So is this mean Volkswagen is not GOOD at all? I mean, our Mazda, Honda are more than 10 years, and nothing ever leaked. The only repaired we had was the tires changed. I just think this is BS. The guy told me, not to wait longer because it will cost me more. The motor for motion is leaking and it will cost me $600. WTF?

I feel we were treated unfairly by the VW Claims process. Our dealer was Moffitt Volkswagen in Bossier City, Louisiana, they were super. I don't think the 72000 (we bought the owner's car with around 5400 miles on it) on our 2014 Passat TDI vehicle was in excess, after all we purchased it to drive not sit in the driveway. The 66000 plus miles we put on should have been a testament to the reliability of the vehicle. Diesel engines are made to roll not sit. I think we should have been awarded the amount $1115.56 instead of $651.00. We will NEVER EVER purchase another Volkswagen because of the shoddy way we were treated. VW Claims Service should have contacted us when submitted our claim. Instead it stayed on someone's desk collecting dust when a simple email would have taken care of the missing paperwork. The communications with the Claims Service is deplorable. Customer Services obviously does not exist in your company.

My car has completely fallen apart. I purchased it preowned and the speedometer read at 53000. A month after purchase the car has been in the shop nonstop. I even had to let the car sit for over a year. My challenges with the car have included the heating and air system going out, the car hesitating as I drove it, the dashboard computer went completely out, the radio stopped working, I've had the car towed numerous times for several reasons and now the car will not turn on at all. I cannot get the car to work. I still owe a note on the car and it will not work. This is beyond frustrating, it's also very expensive. I need immediate resolution.

My husband and I owned a 2012 VW Passat and ironically totaled the car on 11/3/2016, the same day the buyback was offered. It was inoperable, so we could not drive it to our car dealer. It was sold to our insurance company. We were told to complete a paper claim form in order to receive our restitution payment and send it by mail, which was done 12/2/2016. Numerous calls have been made to check the status of our claim... we are getting apologies, told that it is being escalated, being transferred to supervisors, etc. It has been six months since the paper claim form was submitted. I am angry about this whole process and feel like we are getting the "runaround." VW COULD DO BETTER!!!

I just returned the vehicle last week and I received a bill for $567 for wear and tear. I just called them and tried to find a better way to pay because that's too much for me to pay but the person I talked to was super rude with me and did nothing about that. I recommend never deal with VW. They have shifty customer service. I'm really pissed off cause all VW dealers working hard to get new customers after big lawsuit they had but the people working in VW credit financial are so rude and unorganized and losing customers easy for their behavior.

I have two VWs (Passat and Jetta) on lease. Both come off lease at same time. I call to get details - I want to purchase one and buy another car new. I was considering another VW. Forget that! I sat on hold for over 1/2 hour before giving up. The robot voice keeps telling me I can get all the information on the internet. I go there and get the following: "We're sorry, but we're unable to complete your request at this time. For further assistance, please contact our End of Lease Department". So I am in an endless loop.

VW re called my 2012 caddy for an emissions update to be applied. It ruined the van, came out down on power, performance and MPG, then VW denied the fix had changed anything! 6 months on still trying to get them to sort out the issue! My van is useless since they "fixed the emissions"! Total disgrace customer services! There's thousands affected like me check FB VW emissions Scandal! Don't have the update to your vehicle. It ruins the performance!

I buy 2 vehicles from VW. A Jetta and Tiguan. Since we get them every year engine light on. Make us pay more and still pay monthly for them. So he takes us 3 years before we change it because of our credits. Now we free of them but to owners VW it's really bad car!!!

I have two vehicles through Volkswagen Credit. Both were brand new (Jetta and Passat). I loved the dealership and my experience buying my vehicles. My experience with Volkswagen Credit has been unsatisfactory to say the least. They have horrible customer care and have treated me like just another loan and not a person. They caused a huge amount of turmoil through my finances by double charging me on a payment due. They caused an NSF fee on my bank account due to double charging me. It took them 2 weeks to mail a check back to me for the double payment and were unapologetic. While speaking with multiple customer care staff members and mostly the supervisors, they were not helpful in resolving any problems. This is just one account of a few I have had with them.

An addition to this, they mailed out my first payment AFTER it was due and was of little help when I called to explain the issues to them. After this new car is paid off, I WILL NEVER go through VW Credit again! They have made my car buying experience uneventful and unpleasant. I highly recommend a trusted bank/credit union. I will never be talked into going through them again.

I thought I loved VW. Heck, I use to live in a town just outside of Wolfburg, GE. (Erkerode) It was a happy day when I purchased my 1st VW Jetta TDI. Drove like a champ and great on gas. Main reason I got it was because my daily commute was 2hrs 15min 1 way (all highway). Everything was good. Getting oil changes and services IAW VW. Then the emissions scandal happened. And I won't drone on about that. But, shortly thereafter I had a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) problem. No worries, I thought, I'm still covered by Warranty, just barely. Bring her in to my local Dealership, they take a look and say that they need to do a manual regeneration. Next day, I pick her up, warning lights are off, and everything is "good to go".

The following day, I make my trek to and from work. And wouldn't you know it, the DPF light is back on. I call up the Dealership and drop her back off at the next available appointment. The kind folks at the Dealership even put me up in a Courtesy Vehicle. The next day I pick my car up after they explained to me that they had to do a "deeper cleaning". Hey, no worries, this is all covered by Warranty. I happily drive home thinking that this issue has been resolved. Weekend goes by, Monday is here and I make my way to and from work. I get home and lo and behold, the DPF light is back on. Now I'm getting frustrated and it's apparent that something else must be wrong. I call the Dealership and they tell me that the only other thing they can do is replace the DPF altogether. It doesn't seem right, but they are the "experts" and it is under Warranty, so I drop her off. I get my car back, drive back and forth to work a few times, problem solved...

Or so I thought. 20,000 miles later, I get a new set of lights on my instrument panel. This time it's a flashing Glow Plug light, the Check Engine light, and a text display of a flashing wrench followed by the words "Inspect". Wow, that's A LOT of stuff. But hey, at least it's not the DPF light. I take a glance at my Owners Manual (OM) to see what these things mean. According to the OM, both the flashing Glow Plug light and Check Engine light means "Engine Control Malfunction", and the flashing wrench had to do with the Transmission. GREAT... I just put a new transmission in my other car, but that's neither here nor there. I call up the Dealership and schedule an appointment. They have it for a day and then the Technician gives me a call to inform me that the codes came up for the DPF. So what they needed to do was run a regen and it would cost 300 something dollars.

At this point, I'm out of Warranty. If money is coming out of my pocket, I'm going to make my questions and concerns known. I proceed to ask the Technician that if it's a DPF problem, why is it that the DPF light didn't come on AND how is this possible, VW JUST replaced the DPF. Needless to say, he did not have an answer for either of those questions and said that he'd give me a call back in 10 minutes or so. About 10 min go by and I get a call from a Service Rep that is familiar with my car and the whole DPF dilemma. She proceeds to tell me that they are going to investigate the matter and contact the "main VW Tech" something or another. The following morning, she gives me a call to tell me that VW Tech said it is a Failed Temp Sensor and that it will cost $2,625.14 to get it fixed and that I should call VW Customer Care about this to see if they can help the situation.

ROFLMAO, they must have lost their minds. You mean to tell me that had I not questioned their original findings, I would have dropped $300 only to have the same issue keep popping up. So I did a little research. Apparently, when the Glow Plug light and Check Engine light pops up, it does that because the DPF is at 75% loading or is saturated with 40 grams of soot because the regen process isn't kicking in. And you don't have to be a genius to come to the assumption/conclusion that if the regen process (which cleans the filter), isn't activating because the Temp Sensor is bad, that driving approximately 20,000 miles without a proper regeneration occurring could lead to a DPF with 75% loading.

Meaning, the Temp Sensor was most likely faulty the 1st time I was having the recurring DPF problems, only money wasn't coming out of my pocket at the time so I didn't question it, therefore the Dealership Technicians didn't further investigate it and come to the realization that that was the underlying issue. Quite convenient for VW. So, I take the Service Reps advice and call the VW Customer Care number that same day (today). The representative on the line was polite, and after a lengthy discussion she informs me that there is nothing they can do to help because my vehicle is no longer under warranty. She ALSO tells me that this $2,625.14 operation is just a suggestion from VW Tech on a possible resolution to my issue. That the VW Tech is not saying that the Temp Sensor is bad, but that it COULD fix the problem.

WHAT... You're telling me that I cough up $2,625.14 for something that VW most likely missed the first go around AND it may or may not resolve the issue... That's unacceptable. On multiple levels that is unacceptable. 1st, that I have to pay for something that the Dealership missed/misdiagnosed the first time around and 2nd that they expect me to pay this sum of money when it might solve the issue, but they are not sure. So, I asked the kind lady if there was another number that I could contact to voice my displeasure/concern and was told, "I'm sorry, this is it." The sad thing is that this was a great car until the DPF issue. It was so good that my wife was wanting a VW as her next car, despite the "Emission Scandal". LoL, needless to say, while typing this up, she sent me the following text, "Well no more VW's for us".

I owned a 2010 VW diesel Golf during the timeframe eligible for former owner compensation. Before the emissions scandal occurred, my Golf required a $2000 diesel particulate filter at 96k miles. I reluctantly replaced it because I loved the car and the clean diesel emissions. At 100k miles I had the recall emissions software upgrade, and at 106k miles the light came back on and I was told it needed a second $2000 diesel particulate filter. I learned that many owners chose to drive it with the DPF light on, but Service recommended not to as it would impact other functions.

I couldn't justify another $2000, so I traded the car in to the dealership and got a used Honda in return. 2 weeks later the scandal hit the news, and I learned that a Diesel Particulate Filter did nothing. I filed a Settlement Claim, got confirmation of eligibility, uploaded all the documents, and 6 months later they denied it. I filed an appeal and have been emailing them once per month, but still no money. What a fiasco, I wonder if any former owners will ever get their money if current owners are having trouble.

I drive a GTI and have had the intake manifold fail three times in a row. Despite servicing the car according to plan, using official Volkswagen parts and mechanics, the customer care refuses to assist with a part that is obviously flawed. I have had to replace this intake manifold, a part that costs more than $1000, repeatedly, and have had no solution offered, and no offer to repair that vehicle. This part has failed after 20,000 miles each time. Obviously an issue with the engine and substandard parts used, still no help from customer service. I will not buy Volkswagen again and certainly not recommend them to others.

VW has the worst customer service on the planet. The usual hold time is about 45 minutes followed by incompetent reps that are incapable of taking notes down, following through or taking any action. Second and last VW, in fact I am so pissed off that I want to sell the car off. They should be out of business.

I brought my 2013 VW Jetta back to the VW dealership for the buyback on March the 24th. They were supposed to have a check ready for me when I delivered the vehicle. They apparently lost it. We received an initial letter saying further instructions for banking info for the direct deposit would follow. Nothing came. After several calls I get told (like others) the claim has been escalated. After another phone call to their claims department I was asked if I had a firewall set up on my email account. I said yes so they asked if I had a personal email account. I was informed it will take 7 to 10 business days to get a email to our gmail account.

I called them today the 11th of April for status. We get told they have tried calling to give us information. We never received any such calls. They are liars which is proven by the mess they are in right now. They have now given us a Canadian fax number to send information to. I don't understand that. We now get told it will take another 7 to 10 business days to receive the funds which I highly doubt. It seems Volkswagen is doing everything they can to stall. We have several VW's in our company and after this I will not deal with them again. Completely incompetent company. They have my car and I have no money.

Volkswagen Company Profile