2. Automotive
  3. Car Brands

4.0/5 (774 ratings)
Get Pricing on Rydeshopper
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About Volkswagen

Volkswagen is a German car manufacturer of sedans, SUVs, wagons, convertibles and compact cars. Read reviews for their models:

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Volkswagen Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Volkswagen?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Volkswagen?

Original review: June 25, 2021

They have covered many repairs and updates on my Jetta. Whether tail lights, oil changes, tires and headlights. The dealership we use is Campbell Nelson Volkswagen and they are pleasant and courteous. They keep us informed of any mechanical issues that need addressing.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

Full bumper to bumper extension of the factory warrantee from 4 years, 50,000 miles to 6 years 85,000 miles. Covers all non-consumable items and includes roadside assistance. Melds nicely with VW's Car-net. Yes, you need a VW service department BUT there are plenty in the area that I primarily drive and there are so few truly qualified local mechanics in the area. With all of the electronics on my new car, I needed the peace of mind, that if even a minor component occurs, the vehicle would be repaired with genuine VW parts by factory trained service techs.

Get buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

Took my 2016 Golf R (with only 56,000 kms on it) in for servicing as it simply shut down. VW Service Tech told me it needed a new engine control module (ECM), turbocharger and thermostat housing - something they rarely see. It's one owner car, serviced exclusively at VW dealer, low kms, and babied. Final bill was $7,000 on a car that cost $46,000 new. I asked VW Canada to look into it and share (50/50) the cost of the repairs. While it was out of warranty, they offered me $1,500 credit on future VW sales and service - which is of little use to me as I sold the car to the VW dealer, and don't plan to ever buy a VW again. Guess they're simply not interested in my future business (VW, Audi, Porsche) or my word of mouth. Unfortunate as I've purchased 10+ Audi's in the past and this was my first foray into VW's performance cars. Wiser for the experience and disappointed.

Original review: May 28, 2021

My timing chain needed to be replaced on a 2017 Tiguan (or so they said). Only 70,000 miles. I changed the oil with synthetic per VW's maintenance schedule. Even though they had a massive recall on this same issue and claimed it was resolved, it hasn't been. VW reviewed the case and determined no action was necessary on their part. Basically, sorry, too bad. Then 3 days at the dealer with no loaner. VW "Customer Care" is a hardly that. "Customer- Don't Care" should be the name of the department. Over 1 hour on hold, or "wait for a call back- you won't lose you place in line"...get the call back later, only to be on hold another 20 minutes....seriously? They won't give direct numbers, so every time you call you have to go through this drill.

Original review: May 6, 2021

Had the same issue on my 2019 Tiguan. Contacted VW customer service and they not only stated that “oil consumption” is normal but it’s acceptable to “consume”a quart per 2k miles… I traded the tiguan for a Toyota before it devalues further. After 4 VWs and 3 Audis it was time for change due to VW and the dealer not giving a flying **.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2020

I purchased a brand new Tiguan r-line. After one day I drove it in the rain and the headlights misted up. Notified VW and took the vehicle back. I was told that it is normal in not too many words. Picked vehicle up today and it was raining again and lights misted up again. How can be sell vehicles knowing that the headlights have this problem. VW essentially refuses to replace headlights. Just want to let people know what they are potentially in for if they buy be.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2020

Extended Warranty. I purchased a 2010 Volkswagen Passat with an in-service date of 10-18-10 (warranty coverage begins). After being a loyal customer for 10 years, the company refuses to cover an P2015 Intake Manifold Runner Sensor Engine issue covered by an extended warranty if the vehicle is 120K miles or less and within the 10-year warranty. My engine light alerted me on 10-23-20. So, over the weekend I had the codes ran at AutoZone which identified the problem. On Monday 10-26-20 I called my local dealer and they informed me of the extended warranty stating I was merely 6 business days outside of the 10 year requirement but well under mileage at 92K. They suggested I call VW corporate to get this approved.

I spoke with a very nice lady and then her boss and despite their professionalism, they refuse to work with me to help get this fixed. They said they simply cannot go beyond the 10 years even if it is a few days and mileage is well under. This is a VW part issue, not something user caused. Needless to say, this leaves a very bad taste in my mouth that rigidity and greed come before flexibility & doing what is right, especially during these times. This organization seems to lack compassion and the know-how of retaining long term loyal customers relationships & viewing each situation and customer as valuable.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2020

Volkswagen shouldn't be sold in the US. The customer service is awful and the warranty means nothing. I traveled to Michigan for a quick vacation. The car broke down hours away from my destination. Get a towing truck through road assistance was almost impossible. My car was sent to a dealership 2 hours away from where I was staying. 12 hours later I received a call to let me know they got my car and they were going to inspect it in 1 week, I was staying there for only 2 days. After spending 7 hours on the phone, I decided to take a taxi to get a rental car (the closest rental was 1 hour and a half away). Volkswagen couldn't provide me a loaner/rental. I had to paid for everything. Everybody I talked to over the phone told me to contact the "trip interruption department."

After spending 200 dollars in a taxi, I get a call that the car was ready. According to them, the car was not fixed correctly at the dealership in Chicago (Volkswagen Irving Park Chicago). Took another taxi the other way, another $200. Once I got there, the Muskegon Volkswagen rep told me the following: "We reconnected a hose that they forgot to connect when they replace the crankshaft sensor in Chicago"... Please note the car has only 25K miles and broke a few weeks before this. They charged me because a different Volkswagen made a mistake but "trip interruption" was going to take care of this.

Long story short, I made it back to Chicago, mailed all the receipts as they told me to do and today I got a call to let me know the case was declined. This is not money related, I don't care about the money but I can tell that Volkswagen customer service is awful... In Muskegon, in Chicago... Everywhere... even the customer CARE. I don't understand how they do business with this poor customer care. Definitely, not buying a Volkswagen again. On top of that I bought the extended warranty!!! STAY AWAY FROM VW CHICAGO IRVING PARK... STAY AWAY FROM VW MUSKEGON... STAY AWAY FROM VOLKSWAGEN...

Original review: Sept. 22, 2020

I have a Volkswagon Passat for official/domestic use since 2016. No doubt it drives great with all the inbuilt features of safety as well as ergonomics. It has got a powerful engine with smooth drive. To sum up I must say that the company has put in all its efforts to make it a success but unfortunately the only thing which is pulling it down is the customer support at its service center. It has such an overwhelming effect that all the good features of this car get multiplied by zero rather I would say it takes it in the negative side of the scale. I had been getting its maintenance services from the VW for the last so many years until this month when I finally decided to quit and I will even restrain myself to small pit shop.

I happened to be at VW service center at Templehoff for scheduled inspection of my car in August 2020 but was highly disappointed with the attitude of service center staff who not only charged me heavily but also failed to standby their commitment of completing the job on time again and again. These people don't have any sense of customer care and don't bother even if some customer getting bogged down because of their failings. To my utter surprise no appropriate action was taken despite this matter was brought in the notice of management which brings me to the conclusion that this entire company is unknown to the word "Customer Care" rather they "Don't Care". Anyways I formally said goodbye to this place and will never recommend any friend for even visiting this place for petty tasks.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2020

Bought a 2021 VW Atlas. Made in USA. Navigation issues. Accepts address but will not go there. Works on 80 % of address that are entered. Complained to VW, getting nowhere. They say it is a software issue. And is not their problem. They say I should deal with software company. I bought this car from VW not the software company. Customer service sucks. They are purchasing inferior products - to save money and not supporting their customers. Will never buy another VW.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

We bought a 2020 Tiguan six months ago. This car likes to stop itself in the middle of the street for no apparent reason. If you read more reviews online, you will find it’s a common problem. VW reviewed the case for 2 months only to let us know they weren’t going to do anything about it. Terrible customer service and seems to have no concern about driver safety. Would give 0 stars if I could.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2020

I purchased the vehicle almost a year ago. After month with the car, I started to hear door noises on my car - squeaky and cracking sounds. I’ve been going to the dealership for about 10 times and they haven’t fixed the problem. Dealerships are not Helpful. I told him I didn’t, the car has a defect but they keep saying they can fix the problem. I’ve been having this problem for a year now. This is the last time I’m gonna be getting a Volkswagen Product. Not satisfied with his vehicle at all.

Volkswagen Company Information