2. Automotive
  3. Car Brands

Shop on Rydeshopper
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.58/5

Volkswagen is a German car manufacturer of sedans, SUVs, wagons, convertibles and compact cars. Read reviews for their models:

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory and find your next vehicle on Rydeshopper.com

Find a Dealer Near You

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory and find your next vehicle on Rydeshopper.com

Find a Dealer Near You

Volkswagen Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Volkswagen?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Volkswagen?

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

VW builds cars that have superior handling, above average fuel economy at a decent price. Build quality is also very good although I have had issues with leaking sunroofs on 2 wagons. On balance I still feel the overall value and driving experience are worth it to me.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

The car looks great on the outside, the inside as well. Very comfortable car and spacious. The drive is smooth and affordable in gas. It's not a big SUV and not too small. Enough room to fit 5 people and a large trunk. Very happy with the design of the vehicle. As for the engine, I did have a few issues. Instead of a timing belt it's a chain which needs to be changed and very costly. The pieces are ok in price but had to add some extra money on top of my payments. That was the downfall of this purchase.

Get buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

A really good vehicle, just right for me. I especially like that maintenance is only once a year. One drawback is the limited cargo space. But it is easy to get in and out. I often transport elderly people to various activities. They often comment about this feature.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

The fit and finish on my VW is on another level compared to domestics in the segment. The car has held up quite nicely. Service at the dealership is a bit pricey so I've found a good independent mechanic. Overall my Eos delivers a great experience on summer days and feels comfortable enough for long haul road trips up and down the I-5.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

The GTI is one of the best all around cars on the market today as far as overall versatility. It may not be the best in any singular category (performance, mpg, comfort, etc.), but it’s cumulatively better than 90-95% of the cars that it competes against. The GTI’s changes over the model years have been subtle with VW finely tuning & refining a proven & successful platform. I’ve owned cars that were more luxurious, had more performance, were much more aesthetically pleasing design-wise...yet, the 5 GTIs that I own/have owned, have never failed to provide me with an exhilarating drive.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2020

I purchased a brand new Tiguan r-line. After one day I drove it in the rain and the headlights misted up. Notified VW and took the vehicle back. I was told that it is normal in not too many words. Picked vehicle up today and it was raining again and lights misted up again. How can be sell vehicles knowing that the headlights have this problem. VW essentially refuses to replace headlights. Just want to let people know what they are potentially in for if they buy be.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2020

Extended Warranty. I purchased a 2010 Volkswagen Passat with an in-service date of 10-18-10 (warranty coverage begins). After being a loyal customer for 10 years, the company refuses to cover an P2015 Intake Manifold Runner Sensor Engine issue covered by an extended warranty if the vehicle is 120K miles or less and within the 10-year warranty. My engine light alerted me on 10-23-20. So, over the weekend I had the codes ran at AutoZone which identified the problem. On Monday 10-26-20 I called my local dealer and they informed me of the extended warranty stating I was merely 6 business days outside of the 10 year requirement but well under mileage at 92K. They suggested I call VW corporate to get this approved.

I spoke with a very nice lady and then her boss and despite their professionalism, they refuse to work with me to help get this fixed. They said they simply cannot go beyond the 10 years even if it is a few days and mileage is well under. This is a VW part issue, not something user caused. Needless to say, this leaves a very bad taste in my mouth that rigidity and greed come before flexibility & doing what is right, especially during these times. This organization seems to lack compassion and the know-how of retaining long term loyal customers relationships & viewing each situation and customer as valuable.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2020

Volkswagen shouldn't be sold in the US. The customer service is awful and the warranty means nothing. I traveled to Michigan for a quick vacation. The car broke down hours away from my destination. Get a towing truck through road assistance was almost impossible. My car was sent to a dealership 2 hours away from where I was staying. 12 hours later I received a call to let me know they got my car and they were going to inspect it in 1 week, I was staying there for only 2 days. After spending 7 hours on the phone, I decided to take a taxi to get a rental car (the closest rental was 1 hour and a half away). Volkswagen couldn't provide me a loaner/rental. I had to paid for everything. Everybody I talked to over the phone told me to contact the "trip interruption department."

After spending 200 dollars in a taxi, I get a call that the car was ready. According to them, the car was not fixed correctly at the dealership in Chicago (Volkswagen Irving Park Chicago). Took another taxi the other way, another $200. Once I got there, the Muskegon Volkswagen rep told me the following: "We reconnected a hose that they forgot to connect when they replace the crankshaft sensor in Chicago"... Please note the car has only 25K miles and broke a few weeks before this. They charged me because a different Volkswagen made a mistake but "trip interruption" was going to take care of this.

Long story short, I made it back to Chicago, mailed all the receipts as they told me to do and today I got a call to let me know the case was declined. This is not money related, I don't care about the money but I can tell that Volkswagen customer service is awful... In Muskegon, in Chicago... Everywhere... even the customer CARE. I don't understand how they do business with this poor customer care. Definitely, not buying a Volkswagen again. On top of that I bought the extended warranty!!! STAY AWAY FROM VW CHICAGO IRVING PARK... STAY AWAY FROM VW MUSKEGON... STAY AWAY FROM VOLKSWAGEN...

Original review: Sept. 22, 2020

I have a Volkswagon Passat for official/domestic use since 2016. No doubt it drives great with all the inbuilt features of safety as well as ergonomics. It has got a powerful engine with smooth drive. To sum up I must say that the company has put in all its efforts to make it a success but unfortunately the only thing which is pulling it down is the customer support at its service center. It has such an overwhelming effect that all the good features of this car get multiplied by zero rather I would say it takes it in the negative side of the scale. I had been getting its maintenance services from the VW for the last so many years until this month when I finally decided to quit and I will even restrain myself to small pit shop.

I happened to be at VW service center at Templehoff for scheduled inspection of my car in August 2020 but was highly disappointed with the attitude of service center staff who not only charged me heavily but also failed to standby their commitment of completing the job on time again and again. These people don't have any sense of customer care and don't bother even if some customer getting bogged down because of their failings. To my utter surprise no appropriate action was taken despite this matter was brought in the notice of management which brings me to the conclusion that this entire company is unknown to the word "Customer Care" rather they "Don't Care". Anyways I formally said goodbye to this place and will never recommend any friend for even visiting this place for petty tasks.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2020

Bought a 2021 VW Atlas. Made in USA. Navigation issues. Accepts address but will not go there. Works on 80 % of address that are entered. Complained to VW, getting nowhere. They say it is a software issue. And is not their problem. They say I should deal with software company. I bought this car from VW not the software company. Customer service sucks. They are purchasing inferior products - to save money and not supporting their customers. Will never buy another VW.

Volkswagen Company Information