Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes
1.50/5

Volkswagen

Volkswagen is a German car manufacturer of sedans, SUVs, wagons, convertibles and compact cars. Read reviews for their models:

View More View More

Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

409 Volkswagen Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

Only owner of this car (bought it new) and it has only 112,000 miles. I have complained about the transmission in this car since day 1. They scan and tell me nothing is wrong with it. Today I was told I need to replace the transmission for $5700!!! I called VW to see if there was anything they could do and all they tell me is that I am out of warranty (ends at 60,000) and there are no recalls. Stay away from this car.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

ANYONE EVEN HEARD ABOUT ENGINE OIL MIXED WITH COOLANT IN ANY OF THE VEHICLES WITHIN 50000 KM. But happened in the great Volkswagen - Vento. I had suffered a lot in the night time during my drive due to that. Even I paid to change the parts again I have faced the same problem. Now my vehicle is in their service station and said me to take the vehicle since the fault is rectified in which I asked the assurance letter that if the same fault happens in future, you have to take back the car and return back my purchased invoice value because I have twice faced and affected very lot in the night time travel. If they give the assurance I can take and drive without fear. But they denied to give. That means they have doubts, so that hesitate to give.

In this situation how I get my vehicle AND drive without fear as affected twice. If I take my car without assurance I can put it my showcase rather than drive. For which I spent and bought the great VOLKSWAGEN. The WhatsApp group has been created for those are/were/have been, all affected by VOLKSWAGEN. If who are all wants to unite with us to fight to get our rights legally. We have already started legal battles, so join the group at the earliest to get the benefits.

Get expert buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

My Touran GT 1.4 was inspected and serviced by VW HK @ less than 12000km. Then the gearbox has vibration issue and needs to be taken out for repair. I complained to VW HK. Its tech crew member insulted me openly on a local VW owner Facebook forum, saying that I am a defective human driver that needs fixing, and that I should drive my car directly from Hong Kong to Germany for better inspection by the VW HQ.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I leased a 2017 VW Tiguan in Jan 2018. It had only 6025 miles on it. When entering my Garage it suddenly had acceleration to damage the Car's front and garage wall which made a big hole in it. I contacted VW HQ Customer Care immediately in Auburn Hills, MI and they listened and kept me asking questions again and again how it happened. First they said will give you a case number. Then later they asked to send a letter that I am not going to litigate on this matter which was promptly mailed for they will not accept an email to this effect. I also contact their US CEO in Herndon, VA Office sending them all pictures of damage to Car and garage Wall and Door access to home. These pictures were taken by Insurer Liberty Mutual. Unfortunately due a mistake I forgot to get Rental Car Coverage from Liberty Ins. It is costing $330 per week in NJ. Car I am told will not be repaired for 3-4 weeks to get parts.

I also asked for stopping lease payments $212 p.m starting Nov 15 and keep me whole on damage to the garage wall and related costs. The VW rep did not sound too enthusiastic. I have had as a student a VW Beetle to drive several times. It was a great little car. This sudden acceleration of TIGUAN, a Police guy told me is now happening in some Cars that had faulty electronics synced with Transmission. It is very frightening if the same had happened on Highway behind a Long haul truck. Fortunately I did not suffer any injury. Police Report is due to send to VW HQ Customer care.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

Dear Rick **, I wanted to contact you regarding my experience with VW Boardwalk over the last month. I am sad to say that I have been very disappointed in the services provided. VW is viewed with a top of the line customer service and standard of care, and unfortunately I no longer can see this. I have been disappointed enough that I have decided not to continue servicing my vehicle with your branch. I was charged 1000 dollars at the beginning of the month for a service that included flushing my coolant and replacing the timing belt cover, which I was told was most necessary. Afterwards my car stopped working all together and I had to tow it to the closest VW dealership where my battery was replaced. In the midst of this my vehicle also had been broken into, shattering my windows and stealing my purse, which I understand is my misfortune, but this also led to delays in getting my vehicle to the shop.

Following the battery replacement it was noted in the system by VW SF that the coolant was leaking as well as oil. This was never told to me, this was later pointed out in the notes during my last and most recent service. VW SF just replaced the battery and said I was good to go. The next day I noticed a puddle under my car, determined it was coolant and since your technicians had just worked on that system in which I spent a large amount of money I went straight to you.

My car remained with the shop for two days before I got an answer that the water pump needed replacing. This was very curious to me as I had replaced it exactly one year ago with another VW dealer in SF and that your technicians had just finished working on that system, and said everything was taken care of. My understanding is that when a car is serviced these kinds of things are tested and addressed, please let me know if that is not the standard. I would hope that during this testing they would discover a leak in the very two systems they just worked on.

I would like to note that at the first service on 9/10/2018 I was advised to replace the timing belt cover, this was necessary to prevent an oil leak, which again was noted to remain. In that service is also when I had my coolant system flushed, which then again was noted on 9/19/2018 to be leaking, all less than two weeks after the initial service. This information again was not shared with me verbally but noted in the invoice. Also noteworthy my warranty for the water seal expired on 9/20/2018. Due to the inconvenience of timing when the diagnosis was finally made, my one year warranty had expired four days before, leaving me with another very large bill.

With all my concerns your representative heard me out, and said he would try to help as this was very much not fair. I waited his return call, left VM after VM, and never heard back for another two days. At this point I am without my vehicle and a little desperate to get it back. The representative said he would help me out and give me a good deal. I had other quotes at this time for much less, and considering VW wouldn't honor the very recently expired warranty, which is one of the reason I always have my vehicle serviced with them second to the standard of excellence I have always expected, I was considering cheaper options. The representative seemed sincere in his attempt to help so I gave your team a second chance. When I picked the vehicle up I was given a bill of 1300 dollars. 900 of that for labor charges.

To me I feel I have not received the high standard care and excellence that I expect from VW. I leave my car in the hands of your employees and expect them to work efficiently and honestly. I expect them to report to me what is wrong with the vehicle as well as what needs to be fixed in order to keep my car functioning at its best level.

And lastly I feel that I have been taken advantage of costing me not only money but stress and unease and a lot of my time. I am very disappointed as I am sure you can understand through this email. I honestly can't even trust that the work that was just finished is done properly or that the work I have had done needed to be done at all. I feel that the standard of performance, liability and honesty has been very much compromised. I also feel that "guarantee of labor and parts" doesn't actually exist. I really am disappointed that I no longer feel I can trust my car in the hands of VW representatives. If not them, then who?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Volkswagen?

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

Brian from Cardinal Way offered me $33K for an GTI Autobahn in black. I took a day off from work, hauled both my parents and myself and Uber to our destination. Once there it quickly turned into a circus. They don't have the car. Brian had car trouble of his own and was a no show. (He must own a VW.) Both the manager and another guy tried to get me to buy another trim which I declined. While they were tossing nonsense in the air, another dealer 10 miles away texted me for a better deal. I declined. Bridges burned. So we had to take Uber back home without the GTI. Not sure how these car dealers live with themselves but I do believe Karma is a **. Never owned a VW and I'm happy to join the Boycott group.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

My residual value at the end of lease was $21,218.60. I extended my lease six more months... and made 6 more automatic payments of $476. This reduced my residual value to $18,374.28 + tax. After I requested a payoff amount and mail the payment check... VW posted a lease rebate charge of $467.12 to my account. Now they have issued a letter reading that there is a short amount that needs to be paid to satisfy the contract.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

Volkswagen is not doing nothing about the problem and Google has a lot of the same complaints that are telling me that it into covered anymore. I have three other vehicles as of as a 1998 Trans Am and I have no problem with the headliner. So much for buying a second Volkswagen, not happening. Headliner is sagging with only 70,000 miles and only five years.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

Have a 2016 Passat. Laid keys in trunk and when rain started, shut trunk, forgetting keys were in it. Doors were unlocked, but could not get trunk open with internal latch, so had car towed into dealer. Already had a previous appointment to resolve electrical issues that had been ongoing from another dealer which had not been fixed. Car had 18k miles on it. Dealer could not get trunk unlocked, so instead of fixing the internal latch at the door to open the trunk, they called a locksmith and charged us $125 for a key to "unlock" the trunk. Got the car home, the "key to unlock the trunk" did not work. There is no place to put a key in the trunk, the latch still did not work and we could not get the trunk open. Called the dealer and they refused to refund $125.

Did some online research and found there is a button in the glove compartment to push which resets the trunk, pushed the button and the trunk opened. Again, advised dealer of this and the inability of their staff to fix this issue and again requested refund, again was refused. Now, they won't even respond to us. When daughter went to pick up the car and pay for what was supposed to be an oil change, she questioned the charge and they were very rude to her, caused her embarrassment and caused her to cry. Volkswagen Customer Care refuses to help since the problem is not Manufacturer. The issue started from a dealer installed LoJack system, which customer was not made aware of. Dealer will not return calls, nor will GM.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

Everyone’s opinion and experience with VW is absolutely true. AS I was shopping for a new car I did my research on all the cars I was interested in. I came across reviews for VW they were all negative. I took in reviews into consideration, however, I thought to myself that some people just like to complain. My bad y’all. I should have listened and ran the other way. This unethical company is the scums of scums. I bought a brand new 2018 GTI in July of this year. I was treated very very poorly at David Maus VW South. They even charged me for a $600 package that’s suppose to be free, all because the car was transferred from their sister lot David Maus on LEE Rd. A few days after having the car the visor underneath the sunroof retracts on its own. I constantly have to keep pulling it forward, warning light came on saying it cannot detect the key fob. Mind you the key fob is in the cup holder.

As of 09/19/2018 the “one touch" feature that opens the sunroof stop working. Now I have to open the sunroof manually. Ok y’all so how bout I’m driving on 2 separate occasions when I press the break the lights flicker and the car shuts off!! So in conclusion VW are unethical, criminals, and soon they will be labeled as MURDERS. How can I feel safe in my car when ** like this is happening. DO NOT BUY A VW. If you choose not to listen you might be righting a review like the rest of us.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

VW has a horrible service and warranty program. It is one of the main reasons that this is the last VW I will own. A local dealer owns the three local dealers so it could be them but since we have no other options it is really neither here nor there. Initially you could get results when calling VW corporate but even that has gone downhill. Besides should you really have to do that for the dealer to do the right thing? I've bought Volkswagens for 20 years but it is over.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Don't buy a Volkswagen. I made the mistake. And I'm here to prevent you from doing the same thing. Here's the deal. Volkswagen is a dishonest company. Dieselgate proved that. Some of the company's former executives are now in prison. They're literally convicted criminals. But the issue is beyond Dieselgate. Volkswagens tend to feature some really nice German engineering with some fatal flaws that make the cost of ownership rise astronomically. Volkswagen Group of America takes no responsibility for any of this and instead only responds when it faces a class action lawsuit. I purchased a Volkswagen CC in 2010. It was an amazing, graceful vehicle for the first four years. And then became -- and remains -- like a star athlete who got injured early in his career, turning into a shell of what he once was. My Volkswagen CC is the Penny Hardaway of cars.

First there was the carbon buildup issue with the intake manifold. Long story short, the intake manifold has a design flaw. It results in the buildup of carbon deposits. This is a common issue with VW and Audi direct injection engines. VW will lie to you about why it happens, blaming the type of gas you use. Cleanup costs $500-$800 to clean. Two VW dealerships lied to me about aspects of the issue, telling me two different stories. VW Group of America refused to pay for the cleaning. Ultimately, I had to get it cleaned by a non-dealer specialist. And now my turbo is failing, putting the longevity of the engine at risk. VW Group of America refuses to cover the replacement of the turbo, though the dealer technician said he's seen a lot of turbos fail.

I've had a host of other problems with this car. Leaks, replacements of shocks and struts, multiple battery failures, and frequent flat tires. There's a class action lawsuit alleging that the suspension of the car has a design flaw, causing premature tire wear. That's happened with me. I've had to buy a total of 12 additional new tires for this car. I've had to replace the battery three times. I've had to get the intake manifold cleaned. Now I have to get the turbo replaced.

I have a spreadsheet detailing my maintenance and repair costs, toiling in roughly $10,000 over eight years. There are other repairs various dealers have recommended that I did not get done or chose cheaper alternatives. Altogether, they would have totaled more than $6000 more. Every dealer comes with their own set of $2000 recommended repairs.

Anyway, there's a clear pattern: these problems I've experienced are mainly based on VW design flaws. The fuel pump issue (for which there's a recall) causes the battery to drain. The suspension design flaw (for which there's a class action lawsuit) causes the tires to wear quickly. The direct injection engine causes carbon buildup on the intake manifold. And my guess is there's some fatal flaw with the turbos. VW is a company that only responds to these issues when facing legal action. That's why their execs are in jail. Don't make the mistake I made. Don't buy a Volkswagen. They continue to deceive after Dieselgate and should be out of business. Unethical people.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I own a Tiguan. It's my 5th VW. This time I bought the trailer hitch addition to the MSRP for $550 new to pull a trailer. I knew I would be pulling a small trailer & ATV under 1500 lbs very infrequently. This package came with the 7 pin wiring harness so one would expect it to actual work trailer lights. I go to hook up the trailer, see the wiring harness but can't figure out how to hook it up. They had me bring it in and tried to hook it up. I then found out I had to spend an additional $400 to reprogram the entire vehicle, add a control module, & mounting hardware. I worked for VW for years & loved the product. I have referred many friends and family to VW. That has now changed.

I gave them a chance to help out with the extra cost and they flat out denied to help even in a small amount. This put a very sour taste in my mouth and I will never refer another person to them. Emich is a great dealership but go to their Chevy store not VW. Volkswagen is a greedy, cheating, company that nickel and dimes their clients for any little thing they can. Never again will buy their product & will do everything to advise others against it as well. I don't think it is crazy to expect a 7 pin wiring harness to actually work the one purpose it is designed to work.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Hi Volkswagen! Thank you again for another infuriating, impotent service which left me stranded without a car because of the faulty information I was given. Your customer service reps have repeatedly offered services they are unable to follow through on. I’ve already guided my girlfriend and my brother away from your incompetent company and I’ll be sure to continue telling each and every person I meet to avoid Volkswagen. Remember, your product isn’t cars; it’s customer satisfaction. Good luck selling your ** brand of that to an increasingly better informed public for much longer.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

I have had a rattle since June in my 2018 Atlas. It has been in 5 times for this problem. Now they say I need a new seat frame and they have no clue when it will be in. It could take a month or 5 months. You cannot even listen to the radio because the noise is so loud. I have taken with customer care service and they are useless. They refuse to replace the seat from another VW Atlas that is on the lot. I am sure they can do a temp repair of putting foam in the seat frame but they won't even do that. I would strongly recommend not buying a VW product due to their very poor customer service and the futility of getting repair parts.

Original review: July 4, 2018

I have a 2007 VW Jetta with 200,000 km. It has corrosion, to the point of holes in the metal, on all 4 wheel fenders, the rocker panel, and on the bottom of the driver's side door. When shopping for a vehicle I bought this car new and choose it over the Honda Civic. My fiance's cousin currently has a 2004 Honda Civic with 300,000 km and absolutely no corrosion.

VW Canada is not honoring the Corrosion Warranty because I cannot prove the corrosion was caused internally. They are claiming it is due to external factors, which is impossible to prove considering the location of the corrosion. When I called to request the claim be reassessed they refused to do so and VW Customer Care refused to let me speak with anyone that had the power to make the decision to have the corrosion claim reassessed.

I definitely will not purchase another VW based on this experience and I would recommend to everyone I know as well that they consider other brands instead. Had VW honored the warranty I would feel differently, but they used an excuse to not honor it and apparently there is no way for me to speak to anyone involved in the decision. The VW Customer Care department is the only group you can speak to and they claim they have no power with these decisions and they are all final. Please note as well that this vehicle was bought and used in Alberta which is a very dry province where vehicle don't normally rust let alone corrode.

Original review: June 28, 2018

Great experience! Volkswagen is my first car and favorite car. It's small and the perfect size for me. Parking is so easy. Love driving it, it's a convertible as well, 2016 model red in color which is my favorite color. Interior is comfortable and I love German cars in general, they drive very well. I've been wanting it since I was 16 and I'm 24 now. I love how everything works with a push of a button like the trunk, gas. The lights on the inside made it look slick. The convertible, the stiffness of the wheel, driving it. It's fun to drive and I feel confidently driving it. But I don't like the middle of the backseat as it's too hard. Also the switch to turn on the headlights that sometimes I forget and then the battery dies.

Original review: June 23, 2018

I love this car. It is reliable, compact, concubine, it fits my lifestyle, it gets good gas mileage and I like its sleek aerodynamic shape. I don't like Aquarius looking cars and this car is rounded on all its exterior chassis. I also liked the features for what I was purchasing. It felt like a quality care with quality accouterments at an affordable price. A good value for the money, indeed. However, I would like to see the Volkswagen in general including mine get better gas mileage. It is a 4.0 engine and should be getting a lot better mileage than its currently being. Very disappointing.

Original review: June 15, 2018

I've owned 5-6 new VW TDI Golf/Jettas; and thoroughly enjoyed them. The most recent purchase was a 2015 Golf TDI. The dealership has been more than helpful and accommodating through the "approved update" process and 2 stages have been completed. The final stage of the repairs was scheduled days ago; and when I dropped off the vehicle service needed a "claim number". Please excuse my filing system, but I did not have the "claim number". The dealership, which I love, and has always treated me like a king, could not do the repairs, or, provide me with the claim number. In conversation I learned VW does not trust their dealers, (yes, the people that support their employment). I talked with VW corporate for the TDI issue (VW Lying), and am getting nowhere. I Seriously hate to admit it, but I guess I'll become a Ford person. What an unbelievable, and very sad story. BUT... IT IS THE TRUTH.

Original review: May 23, 2018

Fred Beans VW service-department of Devon PA - Don't trust the hype when VW advertise coupons or the Hundred plus checks they are suppose to perform while the car in service. It can work against your favor because they are looking for issues to charge you extra. In May 2013 I bought a SE-Passat V6 included with the price of the car a 54000/4yr service contract. The vehicle was purchase as an CPO, which means it had a few miles, I think roughly 5000. Being I am more prevalent to conventional, I am growing with synthetics. In saying I am use to changing oils every 3000 miles not 10,000. I am a meticulous car owner.

This car in 5 yrs had roughly 33,500 miles in December 2017(with a VW OIL SPECIAL COUPON) which covered up to 5qts of oil, during a unconventional oil change prior to, I look under the hood and notice oil film on top of the engine. I address the issue and ask why this was not brought to my attention or address by the service department while the extended service warranty was in effect? To create oil film which was visible means it took time for the matter and the amount of times and in the increment the car has been in for service over a short period it should of been address while the car was under warranty. At that time they agreed to disagree and told me it doesn't mean it's leaking oil. I took heed what was being said however they didn't understand or know in my youth I was a mechanic and built cars.

My free oil change just cost me a deductible plus. After the oil change the car virtually was parked (except for a few runs to the market) until May 2018, State-inspection Time. When I purchase the car I immediately changed the tires and since 1979 I have bought mostly all and into agreement with NTB. They have a the best Alignment plan bar none to others retailers. I have owned many cars since my Military years. I was told the car pass inspection May 2018 although a few concerns should be address. One tires was showing signs of dry-rot (not an issue). I have coverage. And the serpentine belt (34,800) was showing signs of wear, my reaction was, "Oh really." (Again I reintegrated it should of been replaced when the car was under warranty) The service rep claim it was not covered under the service contract I disputed his claim.

Folks the Manufacture warranty is 3/36000. This is why I don't prefer buying vehicles with short warranties because the manufacture takes into account their product isn't reliable. And I cover extensively at the time of purchase what is and whats not covered and the plan I had covered everything except, Tires and brakes and I will admit I forgot the $50.00 deductible associated with a service plan. I recall asking Belts for ex: Timing belt and serpentine belt those items were included with the purchase in May, 2013 the car came with platinum plan.

In conclusion, when a man is talking over my merchandise (car) I listen with both ears. After discussing my concerns with the rep he spoke with his Manager. As he walks down the corridor he tells me straight to my face I would pay the ($50.00) fifty dollar deductible. I replied, "OK." In my mind I am counting the cost of the State-Inspection and the additional $50.00 deductible. The Bill presented was $289.00. I am about to blow a gasket and lose my religion. I ask for the manager (he's in a meeting) like I give a rats **.

After 15 min he approaches with an caveat attitude,.. whats the problem. I was told I would be charged the deductible (in my mind I'm saying wtf is this). The rep intervenes and says, "I told you I would charge you less $50.00 of the actual cost." I replied, "No you did not." Well folks I was caught in-between a web. I had a important meeting to attend and they had my car. I paid the bill,... and sold the car within two weeks. I will never purchase another VW. I forgot to mention I was (as the car was being service) negotiating on a 2018 Atlas I drive currently and own a Mazda 2018 CX9 Signature. I suggest use those smartphones during a conversation and record.

Original review: May 21, 2018

I don't usually do this because I believe in the good of others. But I am so disappointed with this company because of the length of time it has taken for you to report to the credit agencies that I no longer have a VW. It has been 3 plus years (March 2016) since I paid off the car in question and ever since I have tried to get a house the past few months have been hell because I have had to verify it every time someone checks my credit because your company didn't do what they were supposed to do when I turned in the car. Needless to say I will never be buying a car from you ever again.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I have owned 3 new VWs financed all 3 by VW credit, you never change the paperwork to reflect a paid loan, still 10 years later it says VW credit is a lien holder, not true. Many recalls on my former car that I continue to receive notices on even though I traded it into VW when I purchased my last VW. Just gave my final VW to a junkyard after service from a dealer here in Chicago that took a week to give me my car back and then the problem (coolant leak, replacement of tower) continued to leak and they tried to overcharge me but I had it in writing, very shady people, bad service, don't know anyone that has that kind of time. Just want to buy a car that I enjoy driving and be treated fairly, not too much to ask but VW has failed miserably, no more VWs for me sadly.

Original review: May 11, 2018

Having a look at the reviews, I feel a little bit better as the company is just terrible in general, I thought it was just my luck and I was dealing with wrong service managers but seems like everyone is having the SAME! issue. What a mistake I made trusting Volkswagen, my car has been with them over a week coming to two weeks to diagnose an issue which they did after a week. Repairs were then done, I was then advised it could actually be something else and now another cost is adding, then they said I might even need a new Engine, my oh my.

My other frustration is that the service manager who I called after being told they will call when they didn't had no clue of the situation and advised she was handed the case a day ago when the complaint was sent few days ago via web chat. I REGRET using them. I could of taken my car to a local garage who will be cheaper and diagnose the actual issue without trying to rob your money, I WILL NEVER EVER USE YOU AGAIN NOR RECOMMEND YOU TO ANYONE! WORST EXPERIENCE I HAVE FACED!

Original review: May 9, 2018

If I had only known what an awesome car the 2013 Volkswagen Tiguan was I would have bought another like it. This car is reliable, safe, comfortable, looks great, handles great and good on gas. I wish I had known sooner. What great car!

Original review: May 6, 2018

My little red VW is so dependable and fast. It has great pick up and gets great gas mileage. It has great lines and I get lots of complements on it. It is expensive to fix being a foreign car, but I do love it.

Original review: May 5, 2018

I wanted a replacement for my Mini Cooper 15 years old 147,000 miles. I considered Ford Focus ST, Toyota 86, Hyundai Veloster. I really like the seats in the GTI. The clincher was driving the car. VW offers a six year 72,000 bumper to bumper warranty. I chose the DSG transmission and it fits myself (I like to shift) and a automatic for my wife. We are enjoying the car... I buy them to drive them. No garage queens here.

Original review: May 4, 2018

The Volkswagen EOS was a little pricey, but I haven’t enjoyed owning and driving a car as much as this one! It has supreme performance instantly even in freezing temperatures. After driving it for six years it still looks and feels like new. It’s very responsive, making me feel very safe in tricky traffic conditions.

Original review: May 3, 2018

On Monday, April 16, 2018, I had the unfortunate mishap of my car stalling out while I was on my way to lunch. We had to have the car towed to a mechanic where it was determined that my 2012 VW CC with roughly 86,000 miles suffered from what is being called a ‘Catastrophic Engine Failure’. I was told by the mechanic this was not our fault and the car shows no signs of neglect. My mechanic has given me a quote to replace the engine, with a used engine that has approximately 70,000 miles on it, at a cost of $9,849.57. If I was to replace the engine who’s to say that this problem wouldn’t happen again.

After hearing this news I started to do some research. I have come across several articles and claims that there are issues with the Timing Chain Tensioner on various vehicles; which, include the year, make, and model of mine. It seems Volkswagen is aware of this issue but refuses to do anything about it. I have contacted Volkswagen twice already and have not gotten any help.

I now have a car that I am still paying for (car note and insurance) that I cannot drive. I really hope that Volkswagen will take this issue seriously as this could have happened to me the day before as I was traveling home on a busy highway from out of town. I have always like the Volkswagen name and their vehicles but the way things are being handled by them I am beyond frustrated!

Original review: April 29, 2018

VW New Beetle are expensive cars to maintain, difficult to work on and have unreliable transmissions and weak front lower control arm bushings. I have replaced two transmissions in 110K miles, 11 headlight bulbs, 9 trunk pistons and two sets of lower control arm bushings with ball joints plus two vacuum pumps that leak oil.

Original review: April 28, 2018

This is a 2015 GTI. It is the second GTI I have owned. It is spirited, economical, and well made. I have had no problems with it. It's practical, yet fun to drive.

Volkswagen Company Information