Save on Car Repairs

Compare Quotes
1.82/5
Based on 165 reviews that contain star ratings

Volkswagen Passat

The Volkswagen Passat is a large 4-door coupe that's marketed as a family car. Read more Volkswagen reviews to learn about other models.

Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

329 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 18, 2015

Purchased 2015 VW Passat. Beautiful car, runs ok besides road noises. Problem started gapping when I disconnect my Bluetooth while I'm on a call. My radio does not function when I hit the hands free button to make the call private instead of using the Bluetooth system. I had this function in the beginning but not now. Dealer says they don't know. Nothing to be done. I'm frustrated. Any answers from anyone?

Original review: Sept. 15, 2015

2014 VW Passat still under warranty. Friday night check engine light stays on for short duration after start up. Saturday I come out of stop sign into intersection and I can't accelerate. In fact I'm SLOWLY coasting as traffic is coming at me. I'm frantically pumping the gas pedal trying to get anything to happen. No I was not hitting break, I would have stopped. No check lights came on. Finally, as though nothing occurred my gas pedal works. Took in on Monday. AV VW dealer finds nothing wrong. Says it's a fluke!!! Terrified to have my family in this car. Guess it will take my death to get them to realize issue. Alerted my family to sue VW if I'm t-boned and killed cause it will happen again. Just pray my family and others aren't harmed.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Aug. 26, 2015

I bought a 2002 VW Passat. It had 152000 miles but seemed to run fine. The alternator went out shortly after buying it. Fixed that, had a few hiccups. Took it to the VW shop. They ran diagnostics on it, said it needed a mass air flow sensor, housing spark plugs, new battery, would run just fine. They fixed a few recalled parts. Brought it home. Drove it one day, started making a noise. Didn't even make it home and it died. Found out the engine went at a 166000. Very unhappy with car and service at the shop. Whenever I can finally get it fixed I plan on selling it and will never buy or recommended a VW to anyone.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2015

I drive A LOT! I have 95000 miles on my 2013 Passat TDI. The reasoning behind all of the extra maintenance expense to the TDI was the gas mileage. The car should give you 300,000 miles without much problem - it's a diesel! Yeah right! After 60,000 miles the fuel pump blasts metal shavings all the way through my fuel system. Stranded in Kettleman City CA with my wife and 3 yr old. 1200.00 to tow car to Fresno. Rental car 350.00 for the week they need to repair the car. Dealer in Fresno informs me of the 5350.00 bill to replace the entire fuel system. VW covered it after some deliberation with the dealer.

Then at 95000 the intercooler goes out - 2300.00 more to dump into this piece of garbage that was rated so highly. I called VW and they told me to pound sand, that there was too many miles on the car. It's only 3 yrs old, these problems should not happen with any car at 3 yrs. Oh, did I say all maintenance has been done by the dealer at their prices? The passenger rear window has never worked correctly and they want to charge me another 250.00 for that since I just noticed it. Totally my fault. Buyer Beware. This car will cost you more than any benefit to the diesel.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2015

Live in Canada, and have had my 2013 VW Passat TDI for just over 2 years now. So far, so good. Following the regular maintenance schedule, but have had to source qualified diesel mechanics to service the car because my dealership experience has been very poor. I feel like I'm being screwed over when I go the VW dealership. Mileage with the diesel is exceptional. Brake wear normal. Sway bar needed tightening (under warranty). I love the look and drive quality of the car, but worry that it may not hold up over the long haul. Need to plug in during cold weather to ensure a smooth start. As a diesel, it takes longer than normal to heat up the cabin in cold temps.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Volkswagen Passat?

Original review: Aug. 3, 2015

I purchased a V.W. Passat from the above and found them very honest to deal with. He gave me three months warranty on the car which was eight years old. A noise came in the engine and I took the car to another dealer to access the noise. He told me that it was a problem in the clutch that was common the that year of car and it would cost about €1,200 to repair. I contacted Mr ** and he said he would carry out the repairs at no cost to me. He did so and carried out another little repair that I unaware of. That to me was service over and above the call of duty. Needless to say I will be dealing with that company again.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2015

2009 VW Passat CC turbo - Driving down the highway out of nowhere my EPC, engine and battery lights came on and the car lost throttle from 70 mph to 20 mph. This has happened to me several times in the 10 months I've owned the VW and from the reviews I've read I'm not alone.

Original review: July 30, 2015

I have had numerous problems with my 2012 Passat TDI but the final is the failure of the turbo diesel. I have a high mileage but considering that I went shopping for a car that would last more than 3 years I am understandably upset. I am 10K upside down with a car that will not run and no help from VW. The cost to maintain this car can only be justified it can last longer than a gas engine. Buyer beware!

Original review: July 27, 2015

I purchased a used 2013 Passat still under the manufacturer's warranty this January. Yesterday the airbag light stayed lit and today I took it to the dealership to learn that the clock spring assembly was bad and needed replacing and because the car had 37000 miles on it, the manufacturer's warranty would not cover the repair. The dealership representative suggested that I contact Volkswagen of America to discuss the possibility of reimbursement. Nope. The warranty has expired. There is no grace period. I just spend $600 on a car that I have owned less than seven months. I registered my complaint with them and they issued me a case number, but this has to be a recall issue. I mean, really! 37000 and the clock spring assembly breaks? Thanks Volkswagen.

Original review: July 12, 2015

Bought the 07 Passat 2.0 Wolfsburg new. Within first year radio started to produce a lot of bass. Every once in a while one of the engine coils made the car run rough. Went to Stealership - said that could find problem. I removed the coil myself and replaced it. 2nd year A/C wasn't blowing as cold as it should. Took it to a different VW Stealer - no issue found. 3rd year took it back for check up on A/C. They said freon was low. Worked fine for 1 1/2 years. I took it back because it started to blow warm. They told me schrader valves needed to be replace and freon recharged AGAIN! Warranty almost over by now and was charged almost 400 WTF!

I've noticed some grease build up around frame and wheel rim upon further inspection. Now the CV axles boots are both broken - no clicking or binding but now these must be replaced. Let me add I have had the car from new to now it only has 63k on it. I live in north Texas - I understand it is hot here in the summer but to have so much wrong with it and not have any miles on it I can honestly say I will never buy any VW Ever again.

Original review: July 10, 2015

Three weeks ago I purchased a 2008 Passat turbo station wagon. I did my due diligence. Contacted the previous owner, called dealership who serviced. It was near perfect. Yesterday, I was waiting at a drive through and engine was smoking. I drove out of drive through, shut car off car, continued to bellow smoke and then flames were shooting out. We watched in shock as my car burned. Is this rare or do VW's have a history of catching fire??? I'm carless now waiting for insurance claim and sad that I lost my new car.

Resolution response: July 13, 2015

Because I have owned 4 other VWs they are covering the cost of parts! Which is great. Thanks Ane, the first care associate, and Sara - both were very nice and caring. They contacted the dealer and when I called the dealer knew all about the deal. Customer care was great and made this easy.

Original review: July 9, 2015

At 3700 miles the light for Ad blue light comes on telling me if I turn off the car it won't restart. Dealer has not added Ad blue at scheduled maintenance, fill it myself. At next scheduled maintenance ask dealer about the system but they have no answers. At 50000 scheduled maintenance they don't fill the Ad blue again. Warning light goes on again, fill it myself. At 71000 Cel light is on the 1st time. Dealer flashed the computer, cel light goes out. 4 day later dealer wants $650.00 to replace Nox sensor. Have it replaced myself. 4 days later cel back on dealer.

Wants $100.00 to tell me that he now wants $1,200.00 to replace 2 more parts BUT doesn't know if it will fix it. Might need more? I am told that this is not under warranty even though it is part of the emissions system that has a warranty to 80,000 miles. They've added a system that is prone to fail and don't care about the cost or the customer. I'm appalled at the lack of dealer understanding of the car's maintenance.

Original review: July 3, 2015

I'm on my third failure. Bought a 2013 TDI Passat in Oct 2012. First failure was at 5600 miles. Glow plug light came on, lost acceleration, and then smoke out the back. Was stranded in a bad spot on the interstate and had to call 911 to be blocked and then was towed. We filed a claim with VW as this was a major component failure at only 5,600 miles. They insisted Dealer fix was as good as new. At 30,000 miles happened a second time, luckily was driving in town. Once again dealer fixed. Just this weekend at 45,000 miles I was stranded (8 months pregnant) in a bad rain storm on the interstate in front of an exit. Same sequence of events, glow plug light, loss of acceleration, and smoke. Had to once again call 911 for a block and then get towed. Dealer wants to fix again and I told them to keep the damn car. VW had better take action. Me and my unborn child could have been killed. I've had it.

Original review: June 16, 2015

I bought a 2013 Certified Pre-Owned Passat with 10,057 miles on it. It was a car that I thought I would have well into my retirement. I traded in my 2010 Passat for the newer model. The purchase date was mid February 2014. I retired 2 months later and moved from the Atlanta GA area back to Missouri where my family lives. On May 29, 2015 I had to run errands. I had been on the freeway going the 70 mph speed limit and then took an exit into town. I turned left and within a few feet my car right passenger tire moved quickly right for a split second and then to about a 45 degree left turn across a line of traffic, stopping after the car crashed onto a concrete divider and steel sign separating me from oncoming traffic. The car is considered totaled.

I sustained some minor but painful injuries, was taken to the hospital and then released. I could not steer the car and applying the brakes did not work. The insurance is not being helpful. They are doing what they said is 'minimally' required by law. They are trying to make me pay a $250 collision deductible. They said I have axle damage and that it is not safe to drive. I have gap insurance so the lender will be paid. I called VW Customer Care and because I was concerned for not only my future but others as well, insisted that someone check the car for possible defect. The product engineer will inspect the car tomorrow. I was told that if a tie rod caused the crash that it is not covered under the 'Bumper to Bumper' 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty!!

I purchased my first new car at 18 and at 62 I had to find out what a tie rod was! When discussing warranties I have been told about tires, brakes, fluids, etc. that are expendable are my concern. I accept that. But to find out that a possible piece that you can only be checked by putting the car up on a rack is not in the warranty and that at 31,000 miles they are not concerned that it failed, made me very upset! I will find out the answer from the product engineer's inspection Thursday afternoon.

If the product engineer says that it is not manufacture-defective, then they told me I would walk away with zero. No old car, no new car, approximately $6,000 in payments to the lender and for what? I could have died if there had been a car in the inner lane that my car crossed - typical T-Bone injury, right to my left side. I still have enough pain in my back that it is difficult for me to walk. I don't have a car. Too old to just hike. WHO takes care of me? I would appreciate comments on my situation.

Original review: June 15, 2015

I have had my 2008 Passat SW with a 2.0T engine since new and have taken it to the dealer for every oil change and major service. Recently the check engine light went on and I took it to the dealer immediately. The diagnosis: water pump failure with resulting damage to cam shaft. There was no noise or engine overheating. It will cost $3,687 to repair! This is one of three VWs that I own - it will also be the last if this is what I can expect with regular maintenance.

Original review: June 13, 2015

RE: 2008 VW Passat 2.0T water leaks into cabin. This car just started to leak water a few months ago. Water pours in from the side, about 6 to 8 inches above the floor on both driver and pass sides during heavy rain. I was able to lift the plastic cowling below the windshield and blow out leaves and dirt (how did all that get in there?). I also removed some foam rubber plugs that are above the fender area and removed more dirt, leaves, etc. This required removing the wheel, removing four Torx screws from the plastic splash guard, bending it out of the way and feeling around for the drain ends.

I still have no idea where the actual drain ends are located. Pushing hedge trimmer line down the drain only goes to the bottom of the A-pillar. Is that where the drain end is? If so, how does one get to it without cutting holes? OR is the water leaking in through the doors? Already replaced igniters, fuel pump, timing belt. I thought VW was a good brand until I owned one! Florida VW dealers are no help either.

Original review: June 10, 2015

On May 17th 2015, my family and I were traveling on vacation from Calgary to Victoria in our Volkswagen Passat. As luck would have it, halfway through our trip, our well maintained Passat's 2.0L Turbo engine died with less than 70,000 kms on it. We were going over 100km/h on a remote mountain range when the engine completely stalled on us, without warning. That said, we were somehow able to glide the car, without any power steering or brakes, to a very narrow shoulder only find that we had no cell coverage to call for help. To top it off, exiting the car and getting the family and dog to a somewhat safer location along the highway was probably the scariest thing I have ever experienced in my life.

Not something I would've expected from a car that was very well taken care of over the years, let alone a car made by Volkswagen. Long story short, we finally got some help and got our Passat towed back to West Kelowna where we later found from two independent mechanics that the pistons were shot and the engine was completely dead. DEAD! After less than 70,000 kms on it. And we later found out that replacing the engine through VW would cost us over $14,000. Over $14,000!!! Now why would we bother investing that much money into a car with an engine that had a very long history of severe engine problems? So this could happen again? And again?

This brings us back to VW's customer service, or lack thereof. The agent was cold and bluntly told us that we needed to spend more money towing our Passat further to a VW dealership to assess the damage for themselves (an assessment that we would have pay out of pocket for too, of course), and that they could not guarantee that VW would cover any of the cost to repair the damage as it was no longer under warranty. (Case # **)

Now I totally understand warranties and processes, but when a car's engine dies within less than a quarter of its life expectancy, you would assume that a brand like VW (whom I've been loyal to since my first beetle purchase in NZ back in the 90s) would take charge and say something like; "You know what, you and your family have been through a lot already. Both emotionally and financially. Let us arrange to tow your car back to a nearby dealership for you and we'll take it from there. We want to get to the bottom of this for you so this doesn't happen again." At the very worst, I would of expected that I would get the engine and installation at cost given everything my family has been through.

Not a chance. Not satisfied with the agent's matter-of-fact responses. I pressed to speak to a supervisor immediately, to which I was told would take about 48 hours for a supervisor to call back. A supervisor did finally call... 8 days after my request to speak with one. Are you kidding me? This is how VW treats its loyal customers??? In the end, the most help we got was from the dealership that originally sold us the car. They offered to ship the car back to Calgary (where they could use the car for parts, I would assume) in exchange for $1000 off our next purchase or lease from VW. So, a car that was originally worth $48,000, (with money still owing on it) is now only worth a $1,000 incentive towards another VW? How assuming and calculated is that? And don't get me wrong, I don't blame the dealership. This is simply how VW has armed its frontline.

To say the least, my loyalty of many years to the VW brand is no longer. VW not only has NO problem selling cars that have a history of being lemons, but also assumes NO responsibility when it hits the fan. Warranties or not, money or no money, VW put me and my family's lives at risk. And that's not cool! Now if you've had a similar experience, or have any other grievances with VW and the way you've been treated, please share your story below. With enough people onboard, we have the potential to merge resources and start a class action suit against VW, so more people don't have to experience this kind of injustice ever again. And with any luck, VW will rethink its processes not only to deliver a better all-around customer service experience, but also not to put any more lives at risk in order to turn a profit.

Original review: June 3, 2015

Purchased 2006 Passat in 2012 w/ 34,000 miles for son's college graduation gift. In April 2015 engine timing chain broke, w/ 73,000 miles w/ regular warranty 5yr/60,000. A college student making minimum wage unable to afford extended warranty. Cust. Service rep. said "CHUCK IT UP A Loss" or pay $7,300 to fix engine.

Original review: May 30, 2015

It's so loud on the inside when driving. You must speak with an outdoor voice when communicating. It is horrible on gas and a lot of hesitation when climbing hills. The windshield constantly pops for no reason. Horrible choice for a vehicle. I am having to spend money on a car that I have had less than one year. My next purchase will not be a VW. The Waldorf dealer was very helpful in finding out the problems. Yet it worries me what will be next on a car with less than 50,000 miles on it.

Original review: May 26, 2015

2009 VW Passat Komfort Sedan - Electrical system is faulty. Rear driver's side door automatic door lock will lock and unlock only if someone physically pulls the handle from the inside. When I have the radio on and execute a turn, the radio station will change, even though I didn't press any button to change it, either from the steering wheel or the radio itself. Check engine light has been lighting every other day or so, but doesn't light some days. Just had it checked and learned that the problem is with an intake manifold flap sensor.

Lots of failure with this part recognized by VW as far back as 2008 and they have never apparently issued a recall on this part. It would appear that VW dealers charge around $900 to repair this problem, which looks like a very common problem for both Passats and Jettas.

Original review: May 26, 2015

So I purchased this 2012 Passat new from a dealership and shipped it to South Korea as I was to be stationed there for the next four years as a Soldier. Dealership assured me that the warranty would be honored at any Volkswagen dealership. Not true and not funny. Here is a list of issues in my first year. First issue was the headlights. My family and I were driving at night down a twisting country road and both the headlights turned off. We almost drove off the country road we were on. I had to get out of the car and wiggle the light housing until the lights came on. Turns out the lights get so hot they melt the housings. Dealership here refused to fix this issue.

Then the check engine light and fuel cap light indicator came on. Had the fuel cap tested and it is good. Again the dealership refused to fix this issue. Now I have to floor the throttle to get it started after filling up with fuel. The fuel cap light goes off but now the check engine light is still on. A diagnostic on the ECU indicated problems with the manifold pressure too low, evap canister, and a slew of other problems. Next the airbag light illuminated. Dealership said it was a sensor but would not fix it. Guess safety is not a priority here.

Now the rear driver side door won't lock. Car has been illegally entered twice this year. Can't lock the door so now I don't keep any personal property in my own vehicle. No way to manually lock this door and when the vehicle goes above or below 10 mph the door actuator goes on and off. The screws fell out of the rear speaker assembly and I had to search the trunk for them. I can't believe screws just fall out of this car... The transmission searches for the right gear constantly. It doesn't want to get out of first gear and then it finally shifts at high RPMs sending everyone's head back into the headrests.

My Passat has more fault lights illuminated on the dash than my 25 year old Nissan 300ZX. Don't buy this car unless you enjoy multiple trips to the service department. Keep in mind that all these issues happened in the first year and this car has never been in an accident. I am not looking forward to going back to the U.S. this year only to have the dealership tell me it is out of warranty. Gonna trade this car immediately.

Original review: May 25, 2015

My experience with my 2013 VW Passat SE Se 2.5L has been nothing short of awesome. I love my VW. It has 32,221 miles and has never skipped a beat. Ok I agree a tad underpowered and the tranny does need to be tuned. But I've never had any problems with it and honestly I feel like a million bucks driving around in it. I've owned an 2013 Audi A5 Cabriolet, a Mercedes, and a BMW 3 series. Driven a Range Rover for a couple months, and borrowed my Brothers Dodge Challenger. And this car honestly is my favorite. I just put some sporty rims on it and it made me fall in love. The car is luxurious inside for a reasonable price. I drive it everywhere.

Original review: May 21, 2015

I have owned 2 VW Passats. The first was a 1996 TDI. I drove it for 545,000 miles and did nothing but routine maintenance to the car. At 545,000 I gave it to a young man who needed a car. The only reason I got rid of it was the exterior and interior were showing their age. I then bought a 2004 VW Passat 1.8 Turbo. It had 60,000 miles on it when I purchased it. It now has 335,000 miles on it and it still drive like a new car. Routine maintenance only since I purchased it.

Original review: April 25, 2015

68,000 mi so far. Well living in Mississippi had a dealer in Gulfport and a dealer in Mobile Alabama. The Mobile Alabama dealer offer a free lifetime warranty on all lubricated parts engine and transmission. The requirement is to have the oil changes done at a VW Dealer. The oil changes at 10k at 70.00 each is not too bad. The 40k transmission fluid change was expensive. But checking out several VW dealerships in the area saved me a little over 300.00. Getting 42 mpg in local driving. Getting 43-44 mpg at 75 mph. We have traveled to Georgia and to Boston. Thanks to the long distance between fill-ups, we are able to use GasBuddy and that helps.

Had a trip going to Wyoming and at 60-65 mph we got a solid 51 mpg. I do my own fuel filter changes and my own Blue fluid, Walmart 12.00 2-1/2 gal. Refill before going to dealer. They like to charge without asking. Lots of rear legroom. The sluggishness of the transmission drop in Sport mode and if that isn't good enough you shouldn't bought a TDI. The main complaint I have is the towing 1000 lbs, really, but possible transmission issues. I will tow with my Chevy truck.

Check around before you buy and there are dealers with lifetime warranties.

Original review: April 14, 2015

I leased my 2015 Volkswagen Passat in November 2014. Less than one month later I pulled into my drive opened the door, and before even shutting the door, the entire window shattered! NOTHING had hit the window, I was parked in my driving for 5 minutes waiting for my boyfriend to come home with the key to let me into my house. Volkwagen ended up replacing the window free of charge after I called to complain several times. There was definitely a defect on how the window was put in.

Original review: April 7, 2015

I have a 2012 VW Passat with 30,000 miles. While driving in 2nd gear out of my driveway there was a loud pop. I had to have the car towed and was told it was the clutch. The dealership told me there was no wear or abuse noted on the clutch that the rivets just let go, but it was not covered under warranty. This cost me $1821 for something that should clearly be covered under a warranty. Stay away from VW.

Original review: April 3, 2015

We just bought a new Passat last August and have had it in twice for transmissions issues that they seem to think is "that's the way it works" and it's the way we are driving it. It has a pronounced flat spot when sitting on a small incline. It is like the car goes into neutral, and then, when you give it gas, nothing happens for one to two seconds, and when you go to the floor to get it to respond, it spins the tires? If you take your foot of the brake at the stop described above, the car will roll backwards like it's out of gear. It is an automatic. It is a dangerous product if this is the way it is supposed to work. The sad part is the rest of the car has been great but for this reason alone I'll never buy another one and would not recommend the car.

Original review: March 16, 2015

The car drives terrible and the handling is not the best. If you have any children, this is not the best choice. Plastic moldings, covers, buttons inside the car feel very cheap. Staff for the ads and media for the Passat need to improve on ethics and be more professional. Just be honest and do the right thing. Act like a civilized-fair company. THIS IS SOLELY BASED ON AN OPINION.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2015

I purchased a second at Passat at 833.000 KM (roughly 500.000 miles). This week I will come to one million KM. I've had to get the car repaired in a VW garage a couple of times, but never had any big surprises. Once I asked them to replace the injector seals, because the car refused to start after sitting a while with the nose uphill. Thanks to the internet I found out what the problem was.

Now not every VW garage (in France) was willing to accept my diagnosis and just do the work, but the one close to where I live was very helpful and the mechanic did an excellent job for a very reasonable price. Ever since he did the work, the engine's been running very smooth and seems to have been healed after being quite sick (rough idle, made the care shake sometimes, and the no start condition as mentioned).

I never bought a new VW, and based on the many complaints I think the models after 2006 are much less trustworthy, but the 2000 to 2005 TDI engines are some of the strongest engines around (unless you have the camshaft wear). My car has the original engine and it's still not dead. It's just that little by little all the other parts around it fail through normal use.

So if you want to buy a VW, but also an Audi, or Skoda, or anything, try to find a second hand diesel from the early 2000's, get a good repair manual, order your parts online and fix the car yourself to save hundreds and hundreds of dollars (other than the engine bay being crammed full, there's nothing really specifically complicated about these cars). You'll get a reliable and economic engine, going into the 40's and 50's in terms of MPG.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2015

My center console power ports were not working and I wanted to change the fuse, but could not tell which fuse to change because there is no diagram. Dealership verified their technicians have to test each fuse to see which isn't working.

Volkswagen Passat Company Information