2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.61/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

The Volkswagen Passat is a large 4-door coupe that's marketed as a family car. Read more Volkswagen reviews to learn about other models.

Volkswagen Passat Reviews

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

Purchased a 2013 VW CC with 34000K miles and within 30 days of ownership it has stalled more than 20 times while driving and in park. Not on recall list and VW states that no issue can be found. Airbag inflator recall was supposedly completed while in maintenance and now my horn is inoperable.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I purchased (brand new) a 2012 Volkswagen CC along with a Rust inhibiting module ($500) which was supposed to guarantee the vehicle would not rust for 10 years. It is now 6 years old and I have many rust spots on my car. After 6 months of getting the runaround, Volkswagen has decided it will fix most of the rust spots but not all, apparently only some are warranted. When trying to get an explanation for this, the dealership tells me to call Customer Service and Customer Service tells me to call the dealership. Save yourself a headache and purchase something else.

Original review: July 19, 2018

I bought a 2013 VW Passat 1 year ago with 29,000 miles and have had many issues. I have replaced done a coolant flush at 32,000 miles, replaced head gasket at 35,000 miles, replaced heater core at 37,000, replaced axle and boot at 52,000. And replaced struts at 56,000! Do NOT buy a VW!

Original review: June 26, 2018

This company is nothing but a bunch of crooks! My brand new Passat was recalled within a month of buying it, and I've been told that they will have it for a few months. They expect me to keep paying my $500/month car payments while they have my car. The rental car they gave me is 5 years old, and has none of the features that led me to buy my new car. This is robbery to expect someone to pay $500 a month for a car that they don't even have. After reaching out to them and playing phone tag for weeks, they've said that they aren't willing to do anything to help me.

Original review: June 21, 2018

We chose to buy a used Passat because VW has a good reputation, and I wanted plenty of luggage space. Test driving the car sealed the deal. The car fits my 6 foot 3 inch tall husband with plenty of headroom. The moon roof is a fun addition, too. I've had a great overall experience with my Volkswagon Passat Wagon. It is amazingly roomy and can carry a lot of luggage or groceries in the back. Our model has a luggage rack for additional luggage. The Passat has a quiet, smooth ride even at high speeds. VW service has always been good, although it is a bit on the expensive side. We bought our used VW Passat knowing that the radio didn't work. The station display worked, but no sound came out of the speakers. We thought it would be a simple fix, but the repair estimate was over $1,500. We've ended up listening to music on our cell phones for now.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Volkswagen Passat?

Original review: June 13, 2018

My experience with Volkswagen Passat is pretty good. I love the stick-shift. It's like playing a video game. I would change the fact that in order to fix some things you have to take apart the stick shift. I would also change the 6 disc changer in the trunk to then glove compartment or something easier to access. I had another Passat before the one I have now, and the other one had 352,000 miles on it before it got totaled. Which means it would probably still be kicking today. I loved my old Passat and had such a great experience with it, too. Also I knew that the car could last a long time if I take care of it.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

I have had the car for 2+ years, bought it used, and now it has over 69,000 mi. I've been doubling-down on maintenance, performing all recommended maintenance in 1/2 the time or frequency as recommended and the only thing that has failed is a turn signal light bulb; everything else works perfectly so far. Also, considering the 2015 VW Passat has a 1.8L EA888 Gen 3 that is a gasoline direct injection engine system like the ones used in Ford, Mazda, Hyundai, etc. it needs the back of the valves walnut blasted to extend longevity and maintain "as new" performance every now and then (40,000mi at most) a $700+ cost.

For my car to be this good, I can only surmise that it was not built on a Friday or a Monday. The maintenance interval suggested by the manufacturer are to be taken as guidance. Don't wait for something to break to fix it. Also use all original VW parts including brake pads, rotors, oil filters and VW approved oil. Your car is like your dog - loyal - but if you can't afford to take care of it then you shouldn't have it.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

We purchased our third VW vehicle, and this time got a 2015 Passat TDI because we love VW and we needed a car that was bigger than our Jetta due to our pregnancy with our third child. We also purchased this newer vehicle with low miles because we wanted a vehicle that would last and be safe for our children. Right when we got into the car the windshield wiper fluid light was on. Turns out the sensor was broken and that had to be replaced. Just two short months after we purchased this vehicle, we were driving to Utah to visit family, we were headed down the I-15 at 11 pm in fog and snow with the two kids in the back seat when all of a sudden all of the warning lights on the dashboard turn on, the power steering stopped working, the odometer, speedometer and gas gauge weren’t working anymore. So we pulled over to the side of the road and turned the car off then back on and the lights were off.

We finished our drive and the next day all the lights were on again and they wouldn’t go off. We took it to the VW dealership here in Utah and turns out it’s the ABS module. It is broken and has to be replaced. The car is less than 3 years old but has more than 36,000 miles in it so it’s not under warranty. Like I said we have only had this car for 2 months, so I called Mark Mitsubishi to find out if they would cover it since we haven’t had the car that long and they said there is nothing they will do about it. It’s out of the 30 day warranty they give on their cars and even though this is a huge safety issue and the car literally cannot be driven, they won’t do anything to back up their vehicle that they sold to my family. Since the dealership we bought it from wouldn't backup its vehicle we turned to VW.

There has been recalls for the ABS having the same issues on different years of the Passat but our specific one doesn’t have the recall. And VW won’t do anything to backup their car because it’s out of warranty with them. It doesn’t matter to them that our car that is less than three years old is not able to be driven. I feel that the ABS module should be expected to last longer in a vehicle. I feel that the quality of VW vehicles has gone downhill. Even though we have loved VW and purchased three VW vehicles, we will not be purchasing one again, the experience we have had with customer service and this vehicle has put a bad taste in our mouth. We are disappointed in the quality of this vehicle and that Volkswagen doesn’t stand behind their vehicles and own up to the fact that the ABS module should not be malfunctioning in this vehicle when it’s less than three years old!

Original review: July 24, 2017

The reason for my review is due to Takata Airbags in my 2013 Volkswagen Passat. I went to Select Automotive after having issues with my car mom had bought and paid for. This car was a Cadillac CTS that kept getting water in the sunroof causing my car to flood. I sold that car and went to Select Automotive to get a car I had looked at online. When I got there the sales manager had lied to me about the amount of money I need to put down. I had told them two to three thousand down. I ended up putting down four. I had no choice because I had already sold my other car. Two months after the purchase I received a letter from Volkswagen concerning the air bags. I call Select Automotive and tried to see what I needed to do. I received no response back.

After talking with a friend in the car business I was told to check my Carfax to see if it was noted up there. I did that and there is no notification of any recalls on this car. I was told that the Carfax could have been done before the recall. This issue when I went back online to check has been going on for awhile. I really feel like this company sold me a car that is unsafe. I'm scared to death when I'm out driving to and from work of getting hit and not surviving. I'm a single parent on a fixed income with disability so I can't afford to just go and get another vehicle and I can't afford to let it be repoed and have a blemish on my credit. I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place and I don't know what to do. What are my options with this vehicle?

Original review: July 9, 2017

I bought my 2013 certified Volkswagen Passat on 4/2/2016 with approximately 42,000 miles on the odometer. I did my research for almost a year, and the prices of Volkswagens had suffered from the "Dieselgate" scandal which I saw as a buying opportunity. My car is an SE which has the tried and true 2.5 L, 5 cylinder engine. the engine has been called anemic, but I'm 52 years old anyway, and it certainly has enough power for me. I have been a lifelong Honda owner (and I keep them forever), so this purchase was a real shift for me.

I am pleased to say that I have been thrilled with my purchase. Beside oil changes and a front end alignment at 70,000 miles, I have had to replace two external light bulbs and a cabin air filter. This car has been far less expensive to maintain than any of my Honda products, and I have owned quite a few, seven to be exact. Each time that I visit the dealership (Quirk VW in Manchester, NH), they send me a text with a video that details the condition of my car and the repairs that they are making and suggesting. I could not be more pleased and am thankful that the previous owner of my vehicle leases his cars and sees the need to update his vehicle every three years.

I tend to be a very conscience owner and tend to take very good care of my cars, but this vehicle has honestly required very little from me from a maintenance standpoint. I would readily purchase another Volkswagen Passat in a heartbeat and encourage others to do the same after completing their research regarding the right vehicle for them and their family.

Volkswagen Passat Company Information