2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

Shop Now on Rydeshopper
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.00/5

The Volkswagen Passat is a large 4-door coupe that's marketed as a family car. Read more Volkswagen reviews to learn about other models.

Search local inventory and find your next vehicle on Rydeshopper.com

Volkswagen Passat Shop Now on Rydeshopper
        Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You
        Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You
        Shop Now on Rydeshopper

Volkswagen Passat Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Volkswagen Passat?
        How do I know I can trust these reviews about Volkswagen Passat?

Original review: April 2, 2019

So bought this 2015 VW Passat SEL TDI with 26k miles as a CPO. I have dealer services since my purchase and now my car has 52k miles. Took the dealer because I had no heat and they said my heater core is plugged and my radiator is plugged. They said the only thing covered is the heater core and I have to pay for 2 radiator flushes and the radiator. I told them no way and came back the next day with all my records and my CPO documents because they said I didn't have warranty even though I really did 2 year unlimited mileage for TDI CPO cars. I got them so far to pay for radiator now but they still say I have to pay for flushes at 200.00 a flush. So I guess all those dealers services don't mean anything especially since one was 3k miles ago.

VOLKSWAGEN of America has been a joke and no help. Colin who is worthless at Volkswagen of America told me check the website my car does not have warranty at. I go to website, screenshot it and he is like, "Oh yes you do have warranty." WTF? My car has been at the shop now for 3 weeks for this repair and have no idea a return date. STAY FAR AWAY FROM VW CPO OR NEW OR USED.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I bought a used 2012 TDI Passat with 109,000 miles on it in 2015. I changed the oil myself and other than front brakes and Stabilizer Bar Link that I replaced with Moog for under $100, we had no problems whatsoever in 90,000 miles until we sold it a few weeks ago.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

My 2007 VW Passat has around 123K miles now. I figured I can still continue to enjoy my car once after I spend $1200 on timing belt work since that is said to be the major bill. But nope, I was wrong. My AC died so VW dealership dinged of around 1300 for compressor work. Before that, it stopped blowing air so they replaced fan motor for $300-$400. It has been never the same. With 80 degrees, my AC feels like doesn't work at all. CV boots wear out very quickly so be ready to shed out 500-700 for that every year or so.

Just came back today because my starter died so that adds another $750. There are few other incidents that I am unable to recall (this includes alternator, new battery I think) that costed me around 2k. Well, guess what, when calling me back on my starter repair, service manager told me about timing belt tensioner being loose which would take another 1000 to fix. I have had enough of VW dealership. I have started looking for a reliable local mechanic. And since I have put so much money into this, I will probably run it for another 1-2 years before turning it in. Have dropped almost 7k since it crossed 100k miles.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

Purchased a 2013 VW CC with 34000K miles and within 30 days of ownership it has stalled more than 20 times while driving and in park. Not on recall list and VW states that no issue can be found. Airbag inflator recall was supposedly completed while in maintenance and now my horn is inoperable.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I purchased (brand new) a 2012 Volkswagen CC along with a Rust inhibiting module ($500) which was supposed to guarantee the vehicle would not rust for 10 years. It is now 6 years old and I have many rust spots on my car. After 6 months of getting the runaround, Volkswagen has decided it will fix most of the rust spots but not all, apparently only some are warranted. When trying to get an explanation for this, the dealership tells me to call Customer Service and Customer Service tells me to call the dealership. Save yourself a headache and purchase something else.

Original review: July 19, 2018

I bought a 2013 VW Passat 1 year ago with 29,000 miles and have had many issues. I have replaced done a coolant flush at 32,000 miles, replaced head gasket at 35,000 miles, replaced heater core at 37,000, replaced axle and boot at 52,000. And replaced struts at 56,000! Do NOT buy a VW!

Original review: June 26, 2018

This company is nothing but a bunch of crooks! My brand new Passat was recalled within a month of buying it, and I've been told that they will have it for a few months. They expect me to keep paying my $500/month car payments while they have my car. The rental car they gave me is 5 years old, and has none of the features that led me to buy my new car. This is robbery to expect someone to pay $500 a month for a car that they don't even have. After reaching out to them and playing phone tag for weeks, they've said that they aren't willing to do anything to help me.

Original review: June 21, 2018

We chose to buy a used Passat because VW has a good reputation, and I wanted plenty of luggage space. Test driving the car sealed the deal. The car fits my 6 foot 3 inch tall husband with plenty of headroom. The moon roof is a fun addition, too. I've had a great overall experience with my Volkswagon Passat Wagon. It is amazingly roomy and can carry a lot of luggage or groceries in the back. Our model has a luggage rack for additional luggage. The Passat has a quiet, smooth ride even at high speeds. VW service has always been good, although it is a bit on the expensive side. We bought our used VW Passat knowing that the radio didn't work. The station display worked, but no sound came out of the speakers. We thought it would be a simple fix, but the repair estimate was over $1,500. We've ended up listening to music on our cell phones for now.

Original review: June 13, 2018

My experience with Volkswagen Passat is pretty good. I love the stick-shift. It's like playing a video game. I would change the fact that in order to fix some things you have to take apart the stick shift. I would also change the 6 disc changer in the trunk to then glove compartment or something easier to access. I had another Passat before the one I have now, and the other one had 352,000 miles on it before it got totaled. Which means it would probably still be kicking today. I loved my old Passat and had such a great experience with it, too. Also I knew that the car could last a long time if I take care of it.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

I have had the car for 2+ years, bought it used, and now it has over 69,000 mi. I've been doubling-down on maintenance, performing all recommended maintenance in 1/2 the time or frequency as recommended and the only thing that has failed is a turn signal light bulb; everything else works perfectly so far. Also, considering the 2015 VW Passat has a 1.8L EA888 Gen 3 that is a gasoline direct injection engine system like the ones used in Ford, Mazda, Hyundai, etc. it needs the back of the valves walnut blasted to extend longevity and maintain "as new" performance every now and then (40,000mi at most) a $700+ cost.

For my car to be this good, I can only surmise that it was not built on a Friday or a Monday. The maintenance interval suggested by the manufacturer are to be taken as guidance. Don't wait for something to break to fix it. Also use all original VW parts including brake pads, rotors, oil filters and VW approved oil. Your car is like your dog - loyal - but if you can't afford to take care of it then you shouldn't have it.

Volkswagen Passat Company Information