3.63/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Volkswagen Jetta

The Volkswagen Jetta is a compact car that comes in 2- and 4-door models. Read more Volkswagen reviews to learn about other models.

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Volkswagen Jetta Reviews

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

I leased a brand new 2019 Jetta in July. Early August I started hearing weird growling noises coming from the engine and underneath the car. I ignored it at first, but they got louder. I called the dealership and described the issue. They said, “we’ve never heard that complaint, bring it in and we will look at it, it will cost you to diagnose and fix if it’s not in warranty”. I challenged them on it, “why should I have to pay for diagnostics and fixing a car with 1,500 miles on it?” They told me that’s how leases work. I didn’t go in and I endured the daily noises, but now I also have loud brake noises and no heat. I’m taking it on Friday. If they tell me I’m responsible $$ for fixing all the issues, I’m definitely going to take legal action, no brand new car should have this many issues under 5,000 miles!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

My experience was identical to Josh of Hilliards so I will keep this brief. When the outside temps get into single digits celsius, the engine temps will not come up enough to provide cabin heat. My dealer went above and beyond to help me out but all their efforts were for naught. I called VW customer service and they were noncommittal. I will be selling the car and buying another brand if this issue is not resolved soon.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2019

I leased 2018 VW Jetta in March 2018. Since then I have been in the dealer for turbo boosting loss three times. On the second visit the turbocharger assembly was replaced along with a few sensors. On the third visit the dealer requested VW's experts to assist in the investigation. Turbocharger assembly was replaced again. I still have the same problem. I asked VW to buy back the car. I was told that the lemon law of Maryland doesn't apply because I drove the car over 20k miles. I spent over $1000.00 for rental car alone. My honest recommendation for future car buyers is that stay away from this car. With 1.4L engine, loss of turbo boosting feels like you are walking on a highway.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2019

I own a 2013 Passat which I bought new. I never had any problems, I mean nothing till now. So I decided to buy new Jetta 2019, 1.4 turbo. Big mistake. They have made this car so cheap with 1000 miles on it. I have been twice at the dealer with check engine light on, big problems too. So do yourself a favor and save the money. Do not buy VW. I loved VW, it's the only car I ever owned. Never again.

Original review: March 22, 2019

I own a Jetta 2019 from January 2019. At 3300 km has been in garage two times, a third one is on its way. First, for engine fan that was running all the time at maximum speed. Well they fixed it. Second time for tapping noises in the rear, a good tech found that the charcoal canister was not fixed on the chassis, hanging in fuel hoses. Yes it's a brand new car in case you wonder. I really think they have no quality control in Mexico or they simply don't care.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Volkswagen Jetta?

Original review: March 13, 2019

I have been driving manual transmission cars my entire life (14 driving years). I owned a 2006 Jetta for 7 years and put just under 200,000 km on it with no clutch issues for the duration of my ownership so naturally, I was excited for my new Jetta. I could not have been more wrong. Doing normal city driving, my clutch has overheated causing the pad to melt. Both the dealership and Volkswagen will not even allow me to speak or take anything I say seriously. They are insisting that this is user error and I pay $3500 to replace the clutch... DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!!! In fact, I would never even entertain buying a Volkswagen again after this experience.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

Link as proof: **. I purchased my 2019 VW Jetta S Manual in September of 2018. The first few months I was very pleased with the car. The MPG were fantastic. On the highway I’d average 44-46 MPG and on several occasions, on longer trips even over 50 MPG. Everything was great until the cold of winter set in.

I started to notice that I would feel cold towards the end of my 19 mile daily commute to work. The first day I thought nothing of it, maybe I just caught a chill that wouldn’t go away. The second day I felt cold I noticed my engine temperature gauge was dropping. I was very confused. The engine had warmed up, the car was running with a load (still driving it), had been running for over 30 min and traveled 18 miles. Yet the temp was dropping. As anyone knows the car uses the heat from the engine to warm the coolant that then passed through the heater core. If the engine is cold, so is the heater core. This means a substantial drop in cabin temps.

I took my car into the dealership the first chance I got. I was confident they would resolve the issue. The car has a “great” warranty. I was called a couple of days later to pick up my “fixed” car. They assure me that after replacing both thermostats (with only 5800 miles on the car) that they had resolved the issue. I picked up my car and drove the 10 miles home. I parked the car that night and slept well believing what they had told me.

The next morning I traveled out for breakfast. While sitting in my car eating my breakfast, listening to a podcast I noticed the air from the vents became cold. I then noticed the temp gauge on the dash was dropping fast. I immediately drove back to the dealership only having the car back in my possession for 14 hours. They were surprised to see me again and quickly grabbed a loaner. I was upset but thought maybe the coolant was low or there was air in the system from the work they had just performed. I left assuming they would make it right.

A few days later I get a call to come pick up my car. This is where things get very interesting. The tech on the phone explained that they tested my vehicle and it was cooling down but that there was nothing wrong with my car. He informed me that they had tested other 2019 Jettas from the lot and they did the same thing. Because of that they said my car performed just like the others so there was nothing wrong. //Sanity Check// So my car and other on the lot all lose heat and blow cold air in the winter so nothing must be wrong? Maybe more than one car is broken or share a flawed design? //Back to the review// The tech then began to try and sell me on the excuse that the blower motor is “too efficient” and is preventing the car from warming up.

He recommended that anytime I’m at a stop I rev the engine! I swear, I can’t make this stuff up. Rev the engine! So in order for my new car to have heat in the engine I can either turn the blower fan off (so no air is moving at all) or I can rev my engine constantly. This is insane! My car is broken and they want to tell me “that’s how Volkswagen designed the car”. Does it not get cold in Germany? This is crazy! (I know the car was built in Mexico.)

I then meet with my Salesmen who tries to sell me in the same BS. The car is not broken, that’s how it’s designed, blah blah blah. I’m not having any of it. I talk to the General Manager who proceeded to try the tell me the same BS. They said that my car is the way it is and it’s functioning the way VW intended. This is absolutely insanity! Who in the world buys a new car with the expectation that the heat won’t work? Nobody! That’s who. It’s a new car. The heat should work. It’s a safety issue. My windows refog, it’s colder than all get out. It’s uncomfortable and unacceptable. The kicker is on the second time my car was tested and had the issue, the ambient temp was 47 degrees. That’s not even that cold, at least not for where I live considering just a week ago it was -10. I’m thankful I had the loaner car (2018 Jetta) to keep me warmer than my 2019 Jetta would of.

I just picked my car up yesterday and it still is broke and VW has yet to make it right. I’ve already been jumping through all the hoops they car throw at me and if they throw many more, I’ll just going the circus. I would not recommend this car. Any place the temp drops below 70 degrees. They might as well only offer it as a convertible at this point 'cause the car can’t be used unless the weather is perfect. Rest assured on those golden days you’ll get great gas mileage though. To end my horrid story: BettaNotGettaJetta.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

2019 clutch lasted 9300 miles. I have driven standards for years with no clutch issues. The last standard we owned had almost 200,000 mile without an issue. They said they were unable to help in any way. It was not they were unable to help, it was that they were unwilling to help in any way. Never again will my family or I own another Volkswagen. Don't buy Volkswagen! Please spread the word. I will spend the rest of my life telling people about my bad experience with Volkswagen. I am 55 with longevity in my family, so I am hoping to be able to give them 30 plus years of bad publicity.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

After one month of ownership - 900miles I bought the S Auto with safety package. Out the box I noticed I had issues with the windshield wipers making a terrible sound. Dealer replaced the blades under a claim. Now it is fixed and no noise. I have the same problem with Bluetooth calls, where the person on the line hears themselves. This is not a problem when I use Apple CarPlay. (Not yet reported) Great fuel economy... over 40mpg on highway. I noticed that the forward collision sensors sometimes are way more responsive than other times. Not sure why. So far so good. The vehicle is very comfortable and looks great in red!!!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I bought my 2019 Jetta S 6-Speed manual in May 2019 (week 1 of its release). Mistake.

Here is my post I just shared on another Consumer Awareness site:

I learned to drive in 1976 on a new VW Rabbit (manual transmission). for over 40 years, I've owned and driven a VW Rabbit, Datsun 510, Honda Accords and Civics, a few Toyota Pickups, a Ford Focus, and a Subaru WRX. I've driven well over 700,000 miles with manual transmission cars. I've never needed to replace or repair a clutch under 100,000 miles on any of these cars. In the first week of May 2018, I finally gave up on our 2004 VW Jetta and picked up our new 2019 Jetta S with the 6-speed manual transmission. Early on, I experienced an occasional irregularity when shifting. It seemed as if the engine would rev fast, increasing rpm when the gas was released and the clutch engaged. A slight burning smell could be detected some of the time. On 3 occasions, this malfunction was significant, where the engine rpm soared and the clutch did not seem to fully disengage. On all three incidents, the burning smell was significant. One of the 3 major incidents occurred with another driver was behind the wheel ( I was a passenger) who also owns a manual transmission and has been driving manual transmission cars for over 8 years. The third time this incident occurred, the burning smell was so bad, we drove it to the dealership (a total of 5800 miles on the car). The dealership replaced the heat / ac blower motor because the smell in that area was so strong, (trapped) which led them to believe that motor had failed. I insisted that was not the source of the smell nor the problem with the car.

The dealership removed the transmission and discovered the clutch was worn to the rivets. After a week of trying (unsuccessfully) to find a mechanical issue with the clutch, the dealership worked with VW corporate to determine how to proceed with regard to a warranty repair. VW corporate is standing by their claim that clutch wear falls under normal wear and tear and is therefore not covered by my factory warranty nor the extended VW warranty I purchased. Currently, their position is that I pay for the repair and go on my merry way.

I am now working with a VW Customer Care Advocate as I appeal their position. However, there is no attention being paid to the clutch problem with this 2019 Jetta. The only topic VW seems concerned about is who is going to pay for this clutch repair.

First, shame on me for buying a newly designed car model on the first day it was available. I know better. Second, whether VW decides to pay for my clutch repair or not, if they do not address the underlying issue, I am selling this car for a non-VW asap because I cannot afford a new clutch every 5,000 - 6,000 miles. (and that new car will have a manual transmission - I love driving a manual).

One other point that I shared with the dealership service department: About 3 months into driving this car, I was driving on the interstate near sunset when every interior light and radio turned off for about 3-5 seconds. It was a complete loss of electrical power on the interior. The engine operation seemed unaffected and it wasn't dark enough to tell if the exterior lights were affected. This has not happened since, but something to be aware of. I would appreciate hearing from any other 2019 VW Jetta owners who have experienced issues similar to either the manual clutch issue or the electrical black-out issue.

Best to all who ventured out (maybe too soon?) into 2019 VW Jetta ownership.

Volkswagen Jetta Company Information