1.67/5
Based on 207 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Auto Warranty Expired?

Volkswagen Jetta

The Volkswagen Jetta is a compact car that comes in 2- and 4-door models. Read more Volkswagen reviews to learn about other models.

445 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

So I bought a Jetta 2019 automatic Execline, a lease for 4 years to be exact. After 380 km I started noticing oil spills in my driveway. It ended up being transmission oil because some seals were damaged or something (yes the car is 100% new), they got the new seals and replaced them in few days. Now it has been exactly 27 days that I am waiting for my car. They told me they are waiting for the specific transmission oil. They could not tell me the serial number of the oil or any other details other than *the special oil*. I've also called Volkswagen Canada and they couldn't help me more other than tell me to wait.

So after this month they still have no idea when they will receive the transmission oil. Will I have to wait another month or even more? It doesn't make any sense to me to buy a completely new highest trim 2019 car, drive it a few days and not see it again for more now almost a month. I'm paying the full price for a car I don't have and they never suggested me anything. It would have been much easier if they gave me another exact same car without the problem. It is very frustrating to wait for an unknown date like this and to pay for a car I don't have.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

2019 Jetta - First VW. I really like the car overall and the MPG is a relief, but like I've seen two other drivers note thus far, it makes a horrible and impossible to ignore sound at around 25 MPH. It sounds like a frog croaking to me, so I've nicknamed it the frog. Dealership says it can't find anything wrong and that other 2019s on the lot make the same noise. I'm the opposite of a car expert, but I've managed to isolate it to driving slow to medium and when in automatic mode. Drive it in manual and you won't get the noise. Do what you want with that. It also makes a much milder version of the noise at around 40 MPH. Add that to a less than pleasurable purchase experience, and a dealership that we had to convince to give us a car to drive (a dang Hertz Versa, people) while they spent a couple of weeks to investigate this noise, and VW should high-five itself for getting a two-star rating out of me.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

I have owned a 2019 Volkswagen Jetta SEL for about 2 weeks now. Overall I am very satisfied with everything. The interior is phenomenal and infotainment Center. I have 2 complaints. The plastic interior trim scratches very easily even with a microfiber towel. And most importantly around 30 miles an hour it makes a weird noise. And I've noticed one other review on here about the same problem. I'm wondering if it's a transmission issue or if it's just normal.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

I bought a 2019 VW Jetta for my daughter on 7/28/18 at VW Rick Case Honda in Weston Fl; within the first few days of driving, it started making a rattling noise when shifting gears at approximately 26-29 miles per hour when driving softly (I believe it is the 3rd gear). I tried to recreate the same sound in other gears but couldn’t, it just happens around that speed/gear. I took my car to the dealer to get it checked; I drove the car with the technician (Daniel) and I showed them the noise. Daniel took it to the shop and after connecting it to the scanner and calling VW experts he and the service manager (Walter) told me that the car was OK and that the sound was normal; they told me they drove other cars and found the same noise.

As a driver of different makes and models, I can tell that this sound doesn’t feel natural or normal in any way, you can feel it through the pedal, it is recurring and happens only when shifting one specific gear only. To be truly honest, I was expecting a different answer from the VW dealer but seems like there aren’t too many Jettas 2019 on the road yet so they can spot this as a possible issue. I’ve been a Honda and Toyota owner for some years and I was skeptical to buy a VW Jetta (even more skeptical about the Jetta 2019 that was including a new 8 speed transmission); so far my experience hasn’t been pleasant and I hope it doesn’t turn into a bigger problem down the road. I’ll appreciate any feedback from either experts or other customers that may have more knowledge or experience regarding this issue. Thank you.

Original review: June 21, 2018

This 2014 VW Jetta is a very reliable car. It has taken me on numerous road trips with no problem at all. It is great on gas mileage all around. I love my Volkswagen. Overall, many of the other cars I looked at were way beyond my budget. They were expensive and gas guzzlers. The Volkswagen is great, easy to maintenance. This car is perfect and affordable.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Volkswagen Jetta?

Original review: June 19, 2018

I've had a good experience overall with the VW Jetta, it's pretty reliable and feels really sturdy and solid to drive unlike other cars I've driven before (Toyota Corolla, Honda CIVIC, etc). Good reputation of German engineering, attractive form factor, there was a pretty good price on it at a dealer near me which made it a ridiculously good deal compared to other similar models. It was right before Bluetooth became basically standard, which is okay since I don't use my phone in the car and just used an aux cable instead. However, now that phone manufacturers are removing headphone jacks, this is actually a pretty annoying problem.

Original review: June 17, 2018

Love Volkswagen; there is no better car out there in my opinion. It's a very loyal and reliable brand. High quality vehicles and beautifully engineered. My Volkswagen Jetta rides and drives beautiful. It feels like I'm floating while I drive. That's how smooth it is. The dashboard is sleek and technologically advanced. I love the outside and the interior and the rims as well. As perfect as I think my car is (and I have tried many cars throughout the years), I wish there are more ports or outlets in the car so I can charge more.

Original review: June 16, 2018

Love this car! It is in our price range. It has sleek interior, beautiful exterior, comfortable front and back seats and plenty of room in the front and back. I love the feel of the clutch and shifting as well. I also like the look of the interior and exterior, large trunk, and safety features including airbags on the sides and back seat. However, the back seat can't fit a toddler seat in the middle with enough room for my older children on the window seats.

Original review: June 15, 2018

My VW Jetta has been very reliable and resilient and it works great in all seasons. And when I have had to make repairs, they have been minimal and not too expensive for a foreign car. The car is roomy enough to comfortably drive others considerable distances and it gets great gas mileage. I liked the heated seats and the sun and moonroof. I also like the pickup of the engine and how stylish it is. But the car should come with a more compatible iPod input.

Original review: June 14, 2018

The Volkswagen Jetta is a nice car and I have driven it for around three or four years now. I have had a pretty positive experience with this vehicle. It has seat warmers that work very well when it is cold outside. It is also automatic. I would not have purchased this vehicle if it were not automatic. There are only a couple of car charger plugs available though and they aren't easy to reach. One of the chargers actually died and had to be replaced. Also, the gas pedal is extremely sensitive compared to other similar vehicles. Nice, affordable car with a few quirks.

Original review: June 13, 2018

My overall experience with my Jetta has been amazing and perplexing. Seats grip riders in. Love the interior design of the cabin espically from the drivers vantage point. Have no complaints about the car. Love the ability to hold 5 passengers and the two circle design of the dashboard gauge. Lovely engine that purrs. Price was reasonable and the mileage per gallon is good for a subcompact car. Michelin wheels are great performance package. Passengers also experience a great rider. Wheelbase is average for subcompact cars. Visibility from drivers view is exceptional.

I like the car navigation, back up camera, push to start, lane assistance, and the design of the front of the car and as well as the taillights that are signature to the Jetta lineup just as if the taillights for the 2015 Honda Accord. Great design on the alloy wheels. And radio does come standard and the leather seats are very durable. Branding of the car is trustworthy and the safety approval rating from the international highway safety is good. Also like the sunroof as an additional package. But I dislike the size of the rims, would like it a few inches bigger. Replacing the timing belt since it has a life. Additionally I don't like to pay for the price of full synthetic oil.

Original review: June 12, 2018

The 2014 Volkswagen Jetta is comfortable for our family. Our kids have plenty of room and we have plenty of leg room up front. We like to drive around at night with the windows down as a family and just listen to music. My husband really like Volkswagens and he loves his sun roof.

Original review: June 3, 2018

It's hard to tell how much of the depreciation (15k plus) we experienced is due to VW brand deterioration or the loss of the of luster from sedan models in general. When we bought our 2015 VW Turbo Sport model it seemed like a good idea, We clearly overpaid and overloaded it with upgrades. We never expected it to depreciate to nearly nothing, and it did! After all, VW German resale... how could we go wrong? It's really odd because we just got back from a cruise that included two stops in Germany...

After having done this trade in, I've determined that I hate the Germans as much as they seem to hate Americans. Sadly, our purchase was made before the unfortunate disclosure of the company's illegal indiscretions re environmental regulations. As it was happening, I knew that I should have leased... Buying was a HUGE mistake. Dealer offers no apologies, no solutions... Only reminds us that new models now have better warranties and provide better value... A real consolation to people who had faith in brand value before their inexplicable meltdown.

Why the US government allows these thieves to continue to sell product in this country is a complete mystery... With all the laws that the losers in Washington decide need to be passed... They couldn't address this? Only answer can be Lobbyists. This conspiracy makes the Russian BS look minor. And we do NOTHING. Thanks Angela. Thanks Trump. Birds of a feather.

Original review: May 9, 2018

A good starter car (Volkswagen Jetta), but if these go wrong it's extremely expensive. These cars also overuse soy wiring so parking outside in an area with rodents is an absolutely no no! My car, personally, has been chewed up 4 or 5 times now.

Original review: May 4, 2018

We wanted a manual transmission, and VW Jetta still produces a good amount of them. That being said, the car is not nearly as fun to drive as I had hoped. I like the car, but I'm not in love with it.

Original review: April 29, 2018

VW Jetta is mainly reliable. DMF changed at 120k miles - niggles with door locking/window motors and ignition lock failed at 125k - excellent engine (diesel 2.0L). Great fuel consumption. 50 mpg+.

Original review: March 15, 2018

While being a Volkswagen owner prior to the purchase of my new 2017 Jetta sedan... I specifically was drawn to the Jetta again for reliability, gas mileage and all around seasonal weather ability. Unfortunately Volkswagen has fallen short of the seasonal reliability this winter season by adding the traction control option that is permanent and automatically comes on. There is no way to remove this option which has lead me 9 of 10 times unable to drive up my driveway, while having snow tires and a manual transmission... This has never happen prior to this... I have never felt such frustration with a vehicle. This permanent traction control that automatically engages on it own... Deters me to NEVER purchasing a VW again that has this permanent traction control option. I'm so disappointed as this was never the case with my 2012 Volkswagen Jetta sedan.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

So I got my 2014 Jetta on a lease back in Sept 2014 with only 14 miles on the car. Only about 2 years into my lease the check engine light came on and my engine was misfiring. Thankfully I was still covered by the 3/36,000 mile warranty (barely). They had to replace a coil in the engine (and VW was aware of this issue, but no recall that I am aware of).

Now yesterday, Jan 2018, my check engine light came on again. Dreading the worst I went to auto zone to see what their diagnositc said, wasn't anything I was familiar with and seeing as I am out of warranty I took it to a local shop. Turns out my "purge valve" is cracked. It is a part of the emissions system. And the guy at the shop told me VW has a memo out to mechanics about the issue and how they are aware of it and the valve cannot be repaired and must be replaced. But it is not covered under warranty... This is the worst customer service honestly. How can you as a company be aware of issues with you car, but not care enough to offer to fix these issues or at least cover them under warranty for your consumers. Luckily they released the patent so the shop can get the part for cheap, but still.

I have not even driven this car for 4 years, got it brand new, and check engine light on twice already... I am never buying a VW again. I was debating on keeping this one since I am over my agreed mileage on my lease, but I think I would rather pay the penalty than be stuck with this car and God know what will go wrong with it next.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

I'm like this car 2011 VW Jetta SE 2.5 L turbo as Drive... As car is production line vs Quality that bad. First VW mechanic they don't know what problem is. Always charge you 400 buck and still problem need by fix. Buy extra warranty sec, not much information on like how fix little stuff like Fuse. Actually today check engine come out blinking is 16°F at North Jersey. I'm can't find ** online. What I'm can to do. Next car is Lease.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

I was the owner of a 2014 VW Jetta TDI, one of the models covered by the emissions scandal, and it was sold in February of 2015. The claim documentation package was prepared and mailed to the group processing the packages in 2016 before the cutoff date. When nothing was heard from them, I checked the online claim portal only to be told no claim was possible because it was after the cutoff date. Nevertheless, their helpline asked me to FAX the documentation and I did. They still denied the claim. I requested an appeal because my hardcopy submission was made prior to the cutoff date. Their answer? Denied. They requested hardcopy be sent prior to a specific date. The package was sent. They deny receiving it. They deny the claim. Their malfeasance saved them a bit of money on the claim but it also cost them a customer and anyone willing to listen to how they treated this one.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

The low amount of the warranty is a sign of no belief in the product that you are selling. Any vehicle that is before the 2018 models only have a 3/36000 model warranty. The new 2018 models are offered at a 7 year or 60000 mile warranty. This is my first VW JETTA and probably my last. I don’t like a KIA but they offer a 10 year 100000 mile warranty. That tells me that they will stand behind a product that they are selling and believe it will last. Most of the vehicle manufacturers are going to a longer manufacture warranty because they believe they make a better product then the next one.

I guess Volkswagen doesn’t believe in the older models and know that they didn’t make a good quality vehicle. I am referring to a 2015 Jetta Se TSI that I own. It isn’t even a three year old car and I have nothing but things fallen apart or quit working all together. I have always believed that a German made vehicle is top quality and a long lasting one. I guess I am wrong and will go back to a American made vehicle manufacturers. I was going to pay this car off and give it to my daughter as her first car. I believed that I would be giving her a quality car that she could drive and last her thru college. I was wrong on the quality the VW puts out.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

I purchase a Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid used from VW in Orland Park Illinois and it was used. Been having nothing but trouble with it. Seems that the dealership does not inspect their vehicle when they come in. Already the tires were bad. Had trouble with transmission. The sunroof its need a tune up and the computer was upgraded and wiped out my digital speedometer and the manual shifter so I don't know what gear I am in when shifting, and the front end alignment need to be done, a lot of other things. I think you get the drift. Went and seen a Manager there and he gave me to a sale man just to get rid of me.

Thank God I have a extended warranty, the sale person told me my credit was too low to help so I am stuck with the car. I even had to pay for a rental that they set up for me. I am 68 years and had to start working again because my wife pass away and lost her income so I could not pay all my bills. I am a Disabled Veteran and wonder about all they could of done for me? But what they did is nothing, spending a lot of money to fix up this car. What can you do???

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

Within a week or so of owning my brand new 2017 Volkswagen Jetta I noticed the rear driver door popping. I took it to the dealer within days where I was told I was to blame. I knew I had done nothing to cause this issue. The damage further caused more damage to the front driver's door. I informed the dealer I would sue if not repaired.

The dealer Gene Messer Volkswagen point blank lied and said they would have Volkswagen look at it the next business day or I would have no legal recourse. I thought the person was from Volkswagen but it was just the service representative from Gene Messer who again said my fault. I decided to sue small claims court so they sicked their attorney on me who threatened me with legal fees if I pursued the matter.

Not only did Gene Messer forbid me back on their lot now I have no place for warranty work within 100 miles. I will be forced to pay towing for warranty repairs and Volkswagen said there is nothing they can do period! I paid top dollar for this car now I am stuck if it breaks down. I feel so helpless and the more I read about these cars this is the norm for this company.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

I have a 2013 and am trying to take advantage of the buyback. This is proving to be an extremely difficult task. VW forces me to jump through an inordinate number of hoops. Their system of downloading documents is not compatible with Chromebook users... REALLY??? Give me a break. Just horrible. Never to purchase VW again... so angry I may never ever buy German ever...

Original review: July 5, 2017

I am the second owner of a 2014 Jetta 5-spd with only 18K miles. It’s been a great car, but driven very little. I purchased it from a trusted used car lot in town and when I brought it in for an oil change last week they informed me that there was a power steering leak and they would bring it to the local VW dealer to be repaired under warranty. This is the second 2014 Jetta they have seen in the last month with this problem. The last was covered under warranty, but the VW dealer informed them that mine was not. I called VW customer service, spent an hour on the phone, and finally was informed that my car is not covered as it was purchased in March 2014, so the 3 year/36K mile warranty had expired, by 3 months. At first the VW customer service rep tried to convince me that the warranty wasn't valid because I hadn't purchased the car at a dealer.

Then the rep tried to convince me that the warranty wasn't valid because I hadn't bought the extended coverage warranty. After being put on hold several times while he researched this more in response to my unwillingness to accept either excuse (the other 2014 Jetta was owned by an acquaintance of mine and was covered under the same circumstance) I asked if VW would cover any of the $1900 repair bill for what was obviously a mechanical failure as the car is very lightly used, 6K miles annually, and he flat refused on VW's behalf. I consider this to be very poor customer service and will simply not purchase another VW again, nor would I recommend one to any family/friends in the market for a new/used car. VW has lost a customer for good as a result of this poor handling of their warranty period in the face of a very well maintained car.

Original review: May 21, 2017

Engine suddenly failed at 100k miles - no warning whatsoever. The company won't stand behind the vehicle, despite the fact that the car has been serviced on time and at dealership service centers. The experience with the dealership and corporate has been ridiculous. Will never buy another VW again. I'm not supporting a company that doesn't value its customer and who doesn't put safety/reliability first.

Original review: April 28, 2017

I purchased my car back in May last year (2016). Sad because I was a huge fan of VW. Not anymore. The sticker price on my car was 19,000. I recently tried to find out how much the car was worth trade in value and I was shocked. The car is worth $8,000. I still owe $25,000 on the car because of $3200 negative equity I rolled over from my other car. I've paid on this car for just about a year now and I have absolutely no equity. This is terrifying. All because of the buyback of diesels? I feel horrible for all the customers who purchased one. They better reimburse me for my losses or I'll see them in court! This is the worst business relationship I have ever dealt with. Top it off, my driver's side seat is ripped. They call it wear and tear and I call it poor manufacturers! I'll never in my life buy from VW again!

Original review: April 2, 2017

10/28/2016 dash light came on so I took it to VW for diagnosis and repair. The dealer stated it was a problem with the EGR valve and it needed replacing. Parts and labor cost: $1,560. 3/27/2017 dash light came on and took it to VW dealer/repair center for diagnosis. The dealer stated there is black soot build-up on the EGR Filter Pipe and need a new one along with a Diesel Particulate Filter. The dealer said the repairs would be $7,500! Obviously I declined the repairs this second time. I bought the diesel because the engines are supposed to last a long time and it is a "clean burning" diesel. Hah! I will NEVER buy another Volkswagen again!! What a scam! And yes, I have now decided to do the "buy-back" option. The engines may last a long time but everything else breaks down on it.

Original review: March 30, 2017

I always thought that a Volkswagen was a great vehicle to buy. The people I've known that had them ran for over 200k miles with no problem. I bought my 2009 Jetta Wolfsburg with 50k miles and thought it was great that was until at 58k miles. The rear main seal started leaking. I had it repaired just before my warranty ended thankfully. When it was in the shop for about a week I called the dealer to check in on it and they said it'd be done the next day. So the next day I waited for the call but there wasn't any. I waited two more days then gave them another call. When I gave my name they said "oh yes your vehicle has been done for three days." Great communication in that place.

Then at 80k miles the key started sticking a bit then one day when I went out to start it and the key wouldn't turn. I called the tow truck and had it towed to the same dealer. I'm sorry I did. The car was there on a Tuesday. I got the quote the same day. I didn't hear from the dealer until the next Wednesday. When I did I was told my parts arrived early morning and that my car would be done the next day. I waited until 2pm the next day then called the dealer and they now said my parts just arrived and my vehicle won't be done until the next day. Hopefully this time they are right. Needless to say I'm never buying another VW. Their dealerships have no communication between parts and service and the vehicles are nothing but problems.

Original review: March 15, 2017

It seems the TDI models aren't the only ones taking a hit. Our 2016 Jetta has lost almost 50% of its value, customer service sucks. Don't buy a VW. The car has already had to have the rear view mirror reinstalled, door seals replaced, and has been in the shop for a intermittent transmission problem that according to VW is normal for that model, the microphone is placed on top of the driver side air vent so if the a/c is on while you make a call it sounds like your in a air tunnel (WV response was it's because it's the cheapest vehicle, so it's not their problem), if you roll a window down when you're listening to music it sounds like the speakers are blown. Don't buy a VW.

Not sure about Volkswagen Jetta?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Car Dealers for you.

Volkswagen Jetta Company Information

www.vw.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business