2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.07/5

The Volkswagen Jetta is a compact car that comes in 2- and 4-door models. Read more Volkswagen reviews to learn about other models.

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Find my match

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Find my match

Volkswagen Jetta Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Volkswagen Jetta?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Volkswagen Jetta?

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

Volkswagen makes a superior product. My 2018 Jetta is comfortable, fun to drive and stylish! This car gets between 35-42 miles per gallon. My Jetta has 61000 miles on it already and has not had the first problem. My husband and I went through a major hurricane last year that destroyed our house and turned our life upside down. Volkswagen credit let us skip two payments. This year my husband just got paid off for a month and we called to ask for an extension. Once again they came through for us!!!! I LOVE this company!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

I love VW's, I have owned quite a few, cannot even consider other vehicles. After all it's hard to compete with German engineering. Stylish, thoughtful appointed with the latest technology. Race car speed if that's what you want or need plenty of pep.

Get buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

Have been trouble free for 32,700 miles. Other than overhead light switch malfunctioning and being replaced. Vehicle ride is stiff but steers well. Road noise somewhat loud but still has original Bridgestone ecopia tires with 5 mm left. Brakes have 6-8 mm on pads.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

This car seems to be one of the best in its class. The mileage I get is more than I expected. It is also more sturdy and gives you better control at higher speeds than other cars in this class. There are some small issues with the electronics though - the coolant alert goes off even though I have adequate coolant and the temperature does not exceed normal engine running temperature.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

I have had 2 Volkswagon Jettas and they have served me well. They have good power, minimal repairs, rides great, handles very well and even though it has over 100,000 miles it still feels like a newer car. My last one was still running great with over 170,000 miles but air conditioner went out so sold it.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2020

Had an old 2000 Jetta manual which was decent, made it to around 144k miles before the head gasket blew. Initially I was excited to have my 2019 Jetta. That didn’t last long though. Couple recalls which were really no big deal, and had a problem with the air conditioning not keeping cool but the BIGGEST problem BY FAR was the transmission noise that everybody is talking about. This noise was with the Jetta from the day I bought it. Was told it was normal so I thought nothing of it but it always stuck in my mind because it just doesn’t sound normal. What transmission grinds like that?

Trust your gut - I want everyone who has this problem with their Jettas to know what the VW dealership saw when they opened up my transmission: METAL SHAVINGS. All over the inside of the transmission they said. At only 53k miles!! Unbelievable. Luckily it was covered under warranty but VW really needs to straighten this problem out if they have all these grinding transmissions with metal shavings in them. I traded my Jetta in for a Toyota. Never looking back.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2020

I bought a new Volkswagen Jetta 2011. For years I had problems with the ignition sticking when I would turn the key to start the car. I brought it into the Haggerty Volkswagen many times and made reports with VW customer service. I checked with different websites and found out this happened to many customers. VW would not do anything to correct this problem. Now my ignition is completely locked and I need to pay 1200.00 to get it fixed. I will never buy another VW product.

Original review: July 23, 2020

My car has been in 3 times to fix a loud grinding noise while accelerating (going straight or turning) between 25-40 mph. The RPM gauge ramps up. The issue has STILL not been fixed. Now my car is idling super loud when starting my car and when it sits with the engine on. I am BEYOND frustrated. The car is under warranty and it is not being addressed. This is NOT a 'normal' noise. VW needs to issue a recall and correct the problem. On top of this, I find out there is a CLASS ACTION lawsuit now in process to make VW address these issues. JUST FIX IT ALREADY!! You're making people NOT trust your car brand and you will LOSE your customers!!

Original review: May 19, 2020

I have had my 2018 Jetta for 2 years now. I have 32,000 miles on it and in the past 6 months my car has been in the service department at Jim Ellis VW 4 times for the same issue and it is not getting fixed. My car is not shifting properly, it is slipping gears and hard shifting. The first time I took it in they cleaned the valve body and gave it back to me and then a few weeks later it started having the same issue again, not shifting properly so I took it back in and at the time they wanted me to leave my car but they could not provide me a loaner vehicle and was giving me a hard time about it but they finally did rent a car from Enterprise for me.

At this time, I just had a newborn so I need a reliable car to protect my child. The second time my car was in the shop they replaced the valve body and gave it back to me and then once again for the 3rd time it started acting up again so I took it back and they replaced the coils and once again for the 4th time I got my car back and not even a week later my car started not shifting properly again. Volkswagen denied my claim to buy back my car because they state it is not a serious issue but when you have your infant in the car with you and it is not shifting properly and has been in the shop repeatedly you no longer feel safe in your vehicle especially with an infant in the back seat.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

Very nice car. Comfortable very good mileage. A terrific automotive value. Excellent warranty. Wish it had more horsepower. Would recommend to anyone looking for a small sedan.

Volkswagen Jetta Company Information