2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.00/5

The Volkswagen Jetta is a compact car that comes in 2- and 4-door models. Read more Volkswagen reviews to learn about other models.

Search local inventory and find your next vehicle on Rydeshopper.com

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You
        Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Volkswagen Jetta Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Volkswagen Jetta?
        How do I know I can trust these reviews about Volkswagen Jetta?

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

2019 clutch lasted 9300 miles. I have driven standards for years with no clutch issues. The last standard we owned had almost 200,000 mile without an issue. They said they were unable to help in any way. It was not they were unable to help, it was that they were unwilling to help in any way. Never again will my family or I own another Volkswagen. Don't buy Volkswagen! Please spread the word. I will spend the rest of my life telling people about my bad experience with Volkswagen. I am 55 with longevity in my family, so I am hoping to be able to give them 30 plus years of bad publicity.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

After one month of ownership - 900miles I bought the S Auto with safety package. Out the box I noticed I had issues with the windshield wipers making a terrible sound. Dealer replaced the blades under a claim. Now it is fixed and no noise. I have the same problem with Bluetooth calls, where the person on the line hears themselves. This is not a problem when I use Apple CarPlay. (Not yet reported) Great fuel economy... over 40mpg on highway. I noticed that the forward collision sensors sometimes are way more responsive than other times. Not sure why. So far so good. The vehicle is very comfortable and looks great in red!!!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I bought my 2019 Jetta S 6-Speed manual in May 2019 (week 1 of its release). Mistake.

Here is my post I just shared on another Consumer Awareness site:

I learned to drive in 1976 on a new VW Rabbit (manual transmission). for over 40 years, I've owned and driven a VW Rabbit, Datsun 510, Honda Accords and Civics, a few Toyota Pickups, a Ford Focus, and a Subaru WRX. I've driven well over 700,000 miles with manual transmission cars. I've never needed to replace or repair a clutch under 100,000 miles on any of these cars. In the first week of May 2018, I finally gave up on our 2004 VW Jetta and picked up our new 2019 Jetta S with the 6-speed manual transmission. Early on, I experienced an occasional irregularity when shifting. It seemed as if the engine would rev fast, increasing rpm when the gas was released and the clutch engaged. A slight burning smell could be detected some of the time. On 3 occasions, this malfunction was significant, where the engine rpm soared and the clutch did not seem to fully disengage. On all three incidents, the burning smell was significant. One of the 3 major incidents occurred with another driver was behind the wheel ( I was a passenger) who also owns a manual transmission and has been driving manual transmission cars for over 8 years. The third time this incident occurred, the burning smell was so bad, we drove it to the dealership (a total of 5800 miles on the car). The dealership replaced the heat / ac blower motor because the smell in that area was so strong, (trapped) which led them to believe that motor had failed. I insisted that was not the source of the smell nor the problem with the car.

The dealership removed the transmission and discovered the clutch was worn to the rivets. After a week of trying (unsuccessfully) to find a mechanical issue with the clutch, the dealership worked with VW corporate to determine how to proceed with regard to a warranty repair. VW corporate is standing by their claim that clutch wear falls under normal wear and tear and is therefore not covered by my factory warranty nor the extended VW warranty I purchased. Currently, their position is that I pay for the repair and go on my merry way.

I am now working with a VW Customer Care Advocate as I appeal their position. However, there is no attention being paid to the clutch problem with this 2019 Jetta. The only topic VW seems concerned about is who is going to pay for this clutch repair.

First, shame on me for buying a newly designed car model on the first day it was available. I know better. Second, whether VW decides to pay for my clutch repair or not, if they do not address the underlying issue, I am selling this car for a non-VW asap because I cannot afford a new clutch every 5,000 - 6,000 miles. (and that new car will have a manual transmission - I love driving a manual).

One other point that I shared with the dealership service department: About 3 months into driving this car, I was driving on the interstate near sunset when every interior light and radio turned off for about 3-5 seconds. It was a complete loss of electrical power on the interior. The engine operation seemed unaffected and it wasn't dark enough to tell if the exterior lights were affected. This has not happened since, but something to be aware of. I would appreciate hearing from any other 2019 VW Jetta owners who have experienced issues similar to either the manual clutch issue or the electrical black-out issue.

Best to all who ventured out (maybe too soon?) into 2019 VW Jetta ownership.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I have had my 2019 VW Jetta for 3 months now and am constantly reading reviews. My last car was a '16 Prius which made strange noises as most hybrids do. When I bought the Jetta, I read (most of) the Owner’s Manual. I learned that the vehicle will emit a noise as it is the brake hydraulic system and is normal to design and operation. This is the same noise everyone complains about. Dealers should be familiar with this O.M. statement and offer proper explanation before dismissing their customers. My main complaint is that during a Bluetooth conversation, the person on the other phone (not my end) hears themselves repeated (crosstalk) to the point where I cannot hold a conversation via Bluetooth anymore. Anyone have the same problem?

Dealer is not sure what the cause is or how to fix but I just learned about smartphone obd11 coding apps. The dB for the Bluetooth microphone is listed with adjustments. I will follow up with the dealer. My 2019 Jetta SEL doesn't have the best Lane Keeping Assist. So far I think Honda is the best. VW's is very poor, but it is just an assist, not a substitute. I am disappointed there's no side mirror signal repeaters across the whole line up. This is a safety item that VW should have kept on all models. Canada gets a 6 speed manual across the entire line-up, why not us in the USA? S-trim only. Are punishing us VW? Last complaint, no rear air vents. Even my 13 year old KIA has rear air vents. I'd take the $1000 I could save without the automatic and pay for rear vents and side turn signals. Overall, I'm happy so far.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

I've had my 2019 Jetta SEL Premium for about 2 months now. I've read the reviews and noted the sound that several people have talked about. I've heard the same sound in other cars I've had, so it doesn't worry me too much. I'm sure that will change if it turns out to be a serious problem. Otherwise, I'm in love with this car. Except for the sound system. One of the deciding factors for me to go with the more expensive SEL Premium model was the Beats Audio sound system. I understand that this is still a factory system and will not sound close to an aftermarket one, but I still expected better. This is the reason for the 2 stars.

First, there was a terrible rattle coming from the door panels when listening to music. This was an easy fix. There wasn't enough insulation between the panel and the speaker. I had Dynamat installed and problem solved. Next, the subwoofer. I don't really know what to say about this. I like a nice well-rounded sound to my music. I like deep, rich bass along with clean, clear mids and highs. The subwoofer was anything, but great. The only thing I could compare it to would be tapping on the side of a closed, but empty cardboard box. It tried to produce good lows, but didn't quite get there. I had it removed and an aftermarket subwoofer installed. This was much better, but still not perfect. When listening to music, I still hear some distortion. It sounds like a speaker struggling to produce the low tones.

Keep in mind, I don't listen to music that is really bass heavy, nor do I want anything excessive. I investigated this a bit further and determined that there is no way to isolate the bass to just the subwoofer. So, even though the subwoofer is producing great sound, the door speakers are trying to keep up. This is particularly problematic since they seemed weak from the beginning. My next step will be to replace the door speakers with speakers that are made to handle the sound I'm looking for. I find this irritating since the Beats system is marketed as giving the listener a studio quality experience. If the stock Beats system is what being in a studio sounds like, it's a wonder any music gets produced anywhere. Ever.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

The only reason this has 1 star is because it won't let me have zero. Signed a lease for a brand new VW Jetta 2019 in June 2018. After about 2 months problem after problem. First there's water on the inside of my windshield (and I'm not talking a few drops...), Then the car starts squeaking whenever I reverse. It is so loud that people outside stare. People inside the car just laugh at the fact that this is supposedly a new car. Sound system doesn't work properly, bass randomly cuts out. Had it checked out at the dealership but of course "everything is fine, nothing could be found". Funniest thing though is, despite one of their technicians suggesting a solution for the issue, the service manager refuses to get it fixed, I quote "because it's brand new". Instead she brings up my driving habits??? Very confused at this turn of events. If nothing's wrong with the car why suddenly blame the owner.

VW Canada won't take responsibility and dealership won't provide trade option where I'm not losing a ton of money. This was my first brand new car. I was excited when I got it. I have provided video proof for all the issues mentioned, but that's clearly not enough, I'm not sure whatever will. I went with new because of warranty but clearly that backfired. If you have similar issues or know how to help me please get in touch! RECONSIDER VW as a brand, my advice.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

I leased this car brand new 2017 Jetta S 1.4T. Right after the warranty expired I had the following issues. 1. Right rear passenger window motor fail. 2. Turbo Charger fail. 3. Driver's side window motor fail. 4. A/C intermittent on/off. Absolutely a nightmare of a car at only 42k miles. I will NEVER get a VW again. Stay away from the headaches.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

2019 VW Jetta uses 1 3/4 quarts of oil within 3600 miles. No oil dripping or puddles of oil found in garage. Dealer said that they “topped off oil” at 2700 miles as they repaired off vibrating fuel lines. In essence 1 3/4 quarts of oil use in 900 miles. Dealer suggest I monitor oil usage for next few hundred miles before make an appointment if oil usage continues.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

Unreliable. I do have that funny sound a lot of people talk about on here but thought it was normal so don't care so much. My issues are the back panel came off within the first 2 months of ownership. There's been a recall because of a water leak. And the biggest for me is there is a grinding sound right when you're releasing the brake from stop. Started happening after one month of ownership. I put a video on YouTube showing all 5 of my issues... so far. It's under "2019 Volkswagen VW Jetta review of all 5 problems" or something like that by B. **.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Have the 2019 Jetta for about 3 weeks. I hear a grinding sound when going at a slow speed. Brought it back to service dept. Was told this is normal. Sorry, but I have owned numerous cars over the years and never had one that made this grinding sound. VW has to do something for all the people experiencing this problem.

Volkswagen Jetta Company Information