Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes
3.74/5

Toyota RAV4

The Toyota RAV4 was the first compact crossover SUV to come on the market in 1994. Read more Toyota reviews to learn about other models.

Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

234 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I am writing this review in the hopes that Toyota will see it and take action. If you are an owner of a Toyota you are probably in the same vote that I am. After 15 recalls and an engine rebuild within 100k miles, I am finding that Toyota is now designing their vehicles with the idea that the original owner will be rid of the car before 100k miles is reached. The point that has led me to write this review is with the Recall for the rear suspension where the car would come out of alignment leading to a dangerous steering issue.

Toyota decided the solution would be to remove the adjustability for the TOE by gluing the parts together with epoxy. After 20K miles of hwy use, my car is not out of alignment again, and Toyota says the only solution is to replace the parts and redo the recall. After research I have found replacement parts from Moog that actually address the "weak" suspension parts and will solve the issue long term, however, it is going to cost over 500 dollars to repair. Toyota should resolve this engineering mistake for their customers rather than trying to put glue on the issue and hoping that their customers stay safe.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

About six weeks after I bought my 2018 RAV4 SE I took it on a road trip from Pensacola Florida to Birmingham Alabama. About an hour to an hour and a half into the trip my seat warmer stopped heating. I was unable to turn the seat back on until I had stopped the car and let it rest and then again on the trip home they worked for about an hour to an hour and a half and then stopped. I have taken it into the dealership where I bought it, they called a Toyota who said they’ve never heard of this issue. They are now trying to re-create this issue, but I’m wondering if anyone else has had problems.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

Daughter’s Rav4’s Paint is peeling off. Can’t even wash it. The paint has just started peeling off. Went and got to estimates for repainting and both places said it was factory paint defect. Went to Toyota dealership and was told to call 1-800 number. Spokesperson for Toyota could care less. Apparently they take no pride in their vehicles. Basically said that it didn’t matter if it was a defect once the warranty was out I was on my own. Will never purchase a Toyota again.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I purchased the car this spring. When it’s a little cold out you cannot get any heat unless you turn it up to max. And in the summer the AC works out control. The only way to control the AC is roll down the windows or turn off the AC, I called Toyota and they don’t care. The dealership Says there nothing wrong with it. Then I asked why no heat. They don’t know and can’t did it. I will never buy a Toyota again.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

My 2017 RAV4 XLE engine is a 2.5 liter 2AR-FE, that is going to be replaced for 2019 model with the new 2.5l. A25A-FKS new platform TNGA Toyota New Global Architecture. Problem: My heel hurts. In my opinion is the accelerator spring too strong, say to avoid unintended acceleration. I think Toyota overreacted to past problems, that in reality were software malfunctions, but for public relations purposes the mats were blamed. All cars have mats and we have driven over them for many years, but only now Toyota decided to blame the mats. Toyotas are great, but I wish you can share with me a solution how can I replace the accelerator with an ergonomic, softer and better designed? Perhaps is there in the market a replacement? Perhaps the new TNGA platform brings solution to this problem?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota RAV4?

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I had my first flat tire in my RAV4 today. To my dismay the jack handle did not fit through the eyelet of the jack (they flattened the tube while making the hook). I was forced to use the bar alone to jack the car and in the process scratched my door paint. WTF Toyota? What happened to quality control. This is supposed to be an emergency item. You made my emergency more of an emergency.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I purchase my 2012 RAV4 brand new directly from the dealer. On my way to work I noticed something flapping in the wind when I looked at my right side mirror. When I got to the parking lot I realized it was an ENTIRE SHEET OF PAINT hanging down from my passenger side rear quarter panel that just peeled off in one piece! I took it to my auto body mechanic and he told me it is definitely an issue with the "OEM e-coat" and that it wasn't sanded for paint adhesion. He told me to contact Toyota because I have a good case. Well, I called Toyota North America and they will not help. They said they have no recalls on paint issues. My dealership told me they can't help if corporate isn't standing behind the issue. Shame on you Toyota! Way to lose good customers.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

Toyota Rav 4 is not reliable. The transmission makes a whistling sound when decelerating that Toyota says is normal but my dealer says it is not. My navigation system will get you lost 50% of the time and the mileage on this vehicle is terrible. Toyota corporate does not care what you or the dealer think. Their word is final with no explanation. This is my last Toyota.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

The paint is peeling off my 2011 Toyota Rav4. Mine is not the only one with this problem as I've seen others with the same issue. It appears to be all 2011 models with the pearl white paint. Contacted Toyota, and they will not even acknowledge the problem and do not have a solution. Will never purchase another Toyota because of this.

Original review: June 21, 2018

RAV4 is the best car I've ever owned. Been driving it for years with very minimal work needed and never any lights on the dash unless they are supposed to be! I will never own another American car. I love how it's still small and cute but yet has a ton of space. I've fit all kinds of stuff in it from palettes, beds, dressers and huge TVs amongst other things. It's a very smooth driving car, though it would be nice with maybe more cool features and better cup holders. It has a warning that it tips over more easy than other vehicles so maybe a bit more wide than narrow.

Toyota RAV4 Company Information