4.14/5
Based on 49 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

211 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 7, 2018

I bought Toyota RAV4 with the 280 HP V6 and I have loved it for that reason. Also we were two states away and hit from behind by a much larger car, some duct tape and a bar from the fire truck and I drove it home. No injuries and no wrecker. I love the car.

Original review: June 6, 2018

We just bought a 2017 RAV4 Hybrid, and so not yet have many miles on it. Regardless, it is significantly quieter than the Honda CRV, we sold. The ride is considerably better than that of the CRV, which caused us to make many stops on a long trip due to its very uncomfortable seats. Our son has the CRV now, and he complains about how uncomfortable the CRV's seats are on a long-distance trip. By contrast, the RAV4's seats are luxurious.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 5, 2018

Toyota RAV4 "Supreme" JBL radio/audio quality is terrible; weak tiny sound, poorly adjusted radio amp-to-speaker adjustments, sub-woofer hardly noticeable at max output adjustment.

Original review: June 4, 2018

Had 79,000 and the engine seized. Toyota would not speak to me. Told me that the engine was only covered to 75K. When purchased I swear the salesperson said it was 100k for engine.

Original review: June 3, 2018

Toyota RAV4 is a great car so far. The hybrid is much more responsive than the standard engine. Really have enjoyed the standard safety features. But there is a slight loss of space in the cargo area due to the hybrid battery.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota?

Original review: June 2, 2018

The Toyota RAV4 drives very nice and smooth on the highway. I drove 110 miles per hour no shaking or anything. Also, it has good radio to play loud and when I take my date she is so excited.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I am a big fan of Toyota vehicles. Toyota RAV4 drives very smoothly, very reliable and it's also great on gas. I have had very few problems with mine.

Original review: May 31, 2018

This is my second Rav4 and I love this vehicle except for the road noise especially when highway driving. Sometimes you can hardly have a conversation.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I love this sporty SUV with the alloy wheels! Gives a nice comfortable ride and everybody loves it! I love the bluetooth, answers my calls, and retrieves my text messages, hands free. Also, AWD on the RAV4 SE is awesome in the snow.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I love how my Rav4 handles. With a lot of winter snow, I find that the Rav4 is great in all amounts of snow. In the better weather, I love the sunroof and also how comfortable it rides on a long trip which I do quite often. I LOVE MY TOYOTA RAV 4. Best car I have ever had!

Original review: May 30, 2018

I'm very satisfied and I love this small SUV! It's my second one and it's wonderful. It has lots of room including back and front seat leg room and seats are comfortable even for long rides. The pick up is quick for getting onto freeways and passing and we haven't had any major or even minor problems. It is always ready for anything and it has amazing traction in bad weather too. We don't use the roof rack much but it comes in handy for those large awkward pieces of furniture or a kayak or two. Plus, getting in is easy as it's not too high off the ground. I also love the side opening back; I'm short and the ones that open going up are hard for me. The next car we buy will be another RAV4.

Original review: May 29, 2018

The Rav4 is so easy to drive, it is easy to turn and get in and out of parking spaces. I love driving this SUV. The rear view camera is fantastic. Also, it cleans up nicely. I make the recommended maintenance regularly and the vehicle runs like new.

Original review: May 28, 2018

Toyota RAV4 2010 model, bought used, brakes repaired once. It has perfect balance, easy handling, powerful acceleration (V6 AWD), good in winter/snow, and no mechanical problems. Comfortable seats/good support, good air conditioning, and mileage only fair (about 20mpg city/country).

Original review: May 27, 2018

Our 2015 RAV4, coming up on 40,000 miles, has performed perfectly. It's a Toyota of course. Our other Toyota vehicle, a 2006 Highlander Hybrid, now with 220,000 miles, has also performed, and is still performing, perfectly!

Original review: May 26, 2018

The car drove great when it was new but 2 years down the road it started to rattle, etc. It did not hold up like a heavier vehicle would have. It did not have as many options as similar models from Nissan or Honda.

Original review: May 25, 2018

I enjoyed driving this car. It handled very well and it has good pick up. I am definitely considering buying one for sure. I just hope it handles well on wet roads.

Original review: May 24, 2018

Car is very functional but does not “feel solid”. It feels very light and unresponsive in the snow but luckily we live in Virginia so that is not an issue often.

Original review: May 23, 2018

For the money, you cannot buy a better car. Reliable, clean design, nice ride. This is my second RAV4. I drive cars fairly roughly and RAV4 is the only car I've ever had that has not had parts fail - except for the factory recalls - which never affected me.

Original review: May 22, 2018

Previously owned a 1998 Toyota RAV4 AWD. A bit small within the interior for me, however my wife loved it. Excellent gas mileage from the 4 cylinder engine. Mechanically, never had a problem with it. Oil changes, transmission fluid changes, brakes, tires, hoses, etc. which is normal maintenance. Had 300,000 miles on the vehicle when I sold it to a friend who ran up almost another 100,000 before he sold it. Yes, it's a bit pricey but in the long run it paid for itself.

Original review: May 21, 2018

I was not happy with the paint job... within 2 weeks blue specks were showing through the orange paint. Also the headlights do not provide good visibility. It is like a dark curtain coming down when traveling back roads.

Original review: May 20, 2018

It took a few days to get used to driving a bigger (to me) vehicle. The only thing I miss is tinted windows, but I really do like the RAV4. I get very good gas mileage, it handles smoothly overall and I would recommend this car to anyone looking for a dependable, easy to drive car.

Original review: May 19, 2018

I wish I never bought this car. It gets stuck in my own driveway, even with snow tires, poor AWD performance, noisy inside cabin and poor radio reception. The driver seat lacks lumbar support and it's like sitting on a bleacher seat. The car was overpriced and lease advertisement was a come on. Very pleasant dealer but they would not give an acceptable customer satisfaction take back of car for a Tundra or another vehicle to make me happy.

Original review: May 18, 2018

Factory paint chips immediately after purchase, SUV would have been a better purchase. Also bought new tires right away. Not that great on gas mileage.

Original review: May 17, 2018

Loves: hybrid, save on gas; great safety features; good performance; premium interior and technology. Not so great: poor warning system/alerts regarding headlights once engine is turned off.

Original review: May 16, 2018

Toyota Rav4 is an overall good vehicle. Stock tires that came with car have 46000 miles on them and have more than half tread left. But car's transmission is a little erratic. Shifts a lot and the black trim on outside is dull in appearance.

Original review: May 9, 2018

Excellent winter car (Toyota RAV4)... I put studded snow tires on it, even though I have AWD, just to make sure. But there IS a small blind spot in the rear passenger side, and you have to be ever mindful of it, but it's a small price to pay otherwise... More glove box and storage space in the front seat area would be nice, but overall? My favorite vehicle so far!

Original review: May 9, 2018

I had one (Toyota RAV4) for a few weeks, during the summer. It worked great, until one night a couple deer decided to commit suicide. Then I learned that this particular make and model of car is 'designed' to sacrifice itself to save the occupants. By that I mean, a 150 lb deer did nearly $5000 in damage to the front end, and the second smaller deer did over $1000 in damage to the driver's side (where it ran into the car). Until the point of the accident, I was pretty happy with the vehicle.

Nevertheless, it got reasonable mileage, and allowed for a fair amount of stuff to be hauled. The kids thought it was pretty comfortable for up to 3 hour trips. From the front, the longest trip we took was in the 12 hour range (non-stop), and because of the way the seats could be moved, it was real nice. No strange cramps or unreasonable fatigue. For all those purposes, it was nice. And the visibility, while driving, wasn't terrible... no huge blind spots.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I miss the 6 cylinder engine. The whine of the 4 is aggravating. Comfort is OK but would not want to drive long trips. OWN the XLE model and the next will have electronic rear hatch and lane keep.

Original review: May 6, 2018

The Toyota Rav4 has been fine with us and we enjoy it. It has been great on the winter roads around here and no problems starting on cold winter mornings.

Original review: May 5, 2018

Toyota is no longer making it with the larger engine. Because of this we will likely be moving to a different make for our next car. We have had our Toyota RAV4 for 8 years and its performance and reliability have been great.

Toyota RAV4 Company Information