3.7/5 (1547 ratings)

About Toyota RAV4

The Toyota RAV4 was the first compact crossover SUV to come on the market in 1994. Read more Toyota reviews to learn about other models.

Toyota RAV4 Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota RAV4?

Original review: Jan. 5, 2023

2019 Toyota Rav4 roof rack leaking water. "Won't warranty" because it's got a "broken bracket". It's affected all of the computer systems. Toyota is pulling the ** stance of corporate behavior. "Since it's broken, it's not a design flaw". It's clearly a design flaw, just google it. Thailand ran a news report on the issue. There are thousands of reports of this issue. The dealership will try and classify this as "it's broken" and therefore not under warranty. Complete **. Avoid these corporate leeches at all costs. My vehicle was unsafe to drive, within warranty period, and they try and push the bill on the individual. Absolutely abhorrent.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2022

We owned 2 Toyota cars, Highlander and RAV4 (this is our second RAV4), we bought both time new, the first one after one year has some break and noise issues and my wife did not like it and we traded and got 2017 RAV4, from her experience, she did not wanted Toyota but different car, though I told her that it has longevity and she should get another Toyota and she agreed and gotten RAV4 2017 new car.

However, this RAV4 cars have issues and my wife was right and I was wrong and will never buy RAV4 again. Today, in Portland, there is rain and raining and that small snow also now start melting with the rain, I parked my wife car in our driveway and went in, after lunch came back to drive, saw water was dripping, immediately looked for the sunroof locks, it was completed closed, reach my hand to the place where is the leak is coming, it's from headliner areas by driver side where sun visor located. This is 2017 RAV4 with 26k mileage, I drop the car by the dealer where did we bought this car, their tech will be back on Monday, I cannot wait what they have to say for this obvious defect from the factories, I read more about it and there are a lot of this issues with RAV4 and needs factory attention for recall. Period.

Get buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 19, 2022

2013-2015 Rav4's catching fires from electrical issues on these SUVs. Mine caught fire and completely burned. I found out days later, they have a nationwide lawsuit for these SUVs. I have reached out to Toyota USA, they have not replaced the vehicle nor attempted to settle the issue.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2022

I have always been a Honda person and currently owning my 5th Honda. A CRV. But before buying any of my cars I have always tried to convince myself

to change to Toyota and why not? After all they are the largest Auto maker in the world one and have so many fantastic reviews. So this time I convinced myself to buy a Toyota Rav 4 Prime which I booked in August 2021 and was told the delivery would be 9 months - I accepted. I know the 9 months are not over yet but here is the deal but till this Saturday were not able to tell me how many Primes they have on their order - can you believe this -.

Then you look at Toyota - one would have thought that they would have anticipated that at some time during covid that they are going to face chip and parts shortages but they didn't and in spite of this they kept on saying that they will meet their production target only to come back the next day with a lower number for the quarter and the year. Never heard this from Honda. Look at Tesla. They are still able to meet their commitments and to date have not complained of any shortages. On top of all this every day Toyota come up with a new model - what's the point when they can't supply it. I live in Ontario and as it is Toyota is supplying less Primes to this province. Hey Toyota you have a responsibility to your customers.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2021

Toyota dealership Island Toyota. Please I want to know how come island toyota at Staten Island put 10k over price on rav4 2021. This situation is legal. I preferred to tell you about this. Thanks for helping.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2021

My husband and I bought a 2020 Rav4 at the end of 2020, in December. Our tires still have a good amount of tread on them, I believe they are Toyota brand and they get us back and forth. I thought you needed to change your tires like once a year, but we have had ours for more than that and they are still in pretty good condition and we drive a considerable amount. Thank you Toyota for making good products!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2021

Absolutely awful. My car’s battery and AWD lights went on while traveling in rural Vermont, and after having the battery checked at a service station on the way, I managed to get it to the dealership in White River Junction. The advisor there was helpful and courteous, but since they didn’t have the part needed, I had to go to my home dealership for it. She added that since they did a diagnostic there, which I paid for, I’d just need to pay for the part at my dealership. Having dealt with Atlantic Toyota before, I called first and checked with a parts mechanic there before making an appointment. I told him the diagnosis for the part was made at White River Junction, I paid the diagnostic fee, and he agreed that it wouldn’t be fair to pay for a diagnostic twice. The scheduler I spoke to also agreed and I pointed out that I don’t expect to pay another diagnostic fee for this part. So I made the appointment but I should have known better.

At the Atlantic Toyota dealership I was told flat out by a service advisor that “his” technician would need to see the car before putting in the part. So I’d have to pay ANOTHER “$120 plus” diagnostic fee. I left, upset and not wanting to argue, though I should have known from past experience how this dealership works. Now I will go to another mechanic. It’s the last time I have to deal with Toyota. My Rav4 has had many more costly repairs than the average car in its six years (and it’s had no accidents.) My Rav4 has been an expensive lemon.

Over the years I have used Atlantic Toyota for service after purchasing my car from the Amityville dealership because I thought it was better to have Toyota trained mechanics. I should have listened to friends who dealt with them and were unhappy. It’s gone downhill from there. The one star is for the two service advisors I’ve dealt with who were helpful over the years, Benny and Tim. Otherwise, I advise people to beware when thinking about buying a Toyota, especially after the service experiences I had with this dealership.

Original review: July 7, 2021

In January 2015 Toyota did recall of 2008 Toyota Rav4. Decided against putting adjustable toe in rear suspension system. Instead Toyota put a bars in both sides making my Rav4 adjustable only at Toyota dealership. This was permanent fix. I have gone through 2 sets of tires and now have dealership alignment for $566.00. Called Toyota for "Good Will" help. They refused and acted like their repair worked.

Original review: May 4, 2021

Fortunately our youngest child was not harmed when his Toyota RAV4 (2014) burst into flames and blew up. Fortunately he had parked it away from anything flammable. A fire investigator hired by Toyota confirmed that the fire started in the engine and swept through the interior, completely destroying the vehicle. But today we got an official letter from Toyota saying, "Sorry this happened, but we must deny the claim. Let us know if you ever get any evidence to support that a defect caused the incident." Meanwhile the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is investigating 1.9 million RAV4s built between 2013–2018 following complaints of fires starting from the 12-volt battery.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

The rubber door seals are oxidizing on both of my 2018 Rav 4. They leave black marks on your clothes! Toyota says to bad put duct tape on them! Toyota will not cover the seals. Lawyers are next. When you enter the car your pants brush up against the seal and black appears on your pants.

Toyota RAV4 Company Information