Toyota RAV4

Compare Car Models

Research top Car Models recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

My wife and I bought a 2016 RAV4 in January. We currently have 16,000 miles on our car. Not even a year old, we have already had a problem with the trunk. One morning while trying to load the back, our trunk wouldn't open, nor would it close completely. We turned the car off to basically put the entire vehicle at ease which helped close the trunk, but when we went to drive to work, the car continued to beep and show that the trunk was open. The motor in the trunk is broken, but with warranty the dealer is set to fix it.

Secondly on this new 2016 RAV4 the paint seems to be so cheap, that even a touch seems to scratch the paint. We have owned a Toyota Tacoma for ten years before we bought this 2016 RAV4. We had actually traded it in for our brand new 2016 RAV4 and honestly the paint was in better condition than our RAV4.

Finally, I don't know what kind of city mileage people are talking about with 23mpg, but currently or rather our whole eleven months with this car, we are barely making 17mpg in the city. This is something that needs attention. It's great on the highway at 27mpg, which is something we are extremely happy about.

2016 Rav4 SE AWD 24k miles. At the dealer having the front rotors turned and replacing front brake pads. My previous 2 Audis, Tacoma, Juke which I all turned in at around 35k miles hardly even showed any wear. The thing that annoyed me was the service manager (car is at the dealer now) called and insinuated it's my fault and that I need to "brake more lightly". Unbelievable. I haven't even needed any brakes replaced in any of my cars since the 1980's. Even up to 50-60k. I know how to brake. Poor design. End of story.

I bought my Rav 4 with 64,000 miles. I was driving and the oil light comes on. I look at the dipstick, no marking. I add a quart then 2 more just to get it to mark halfway. I read online reviews and took the car for a oil test at Elgin Toyota Dealer. The service writer said that it was normal for the car to burn 1.1 quart per 1000 miles and the oil light come on when is down to 2.5 qts. I told him some must be wrong with light if I added 3qts and the car holds 4.35 qts. He skip the question and ask me which oil wanted Regular or Synthetic for test. If go with Synthetic will the cure the problem and more mileage between oil change! He said, "No." And that I still have to change oil at 5000 miles. (I wasn't given the change to look at the dipstick before sealing.)

In waiting room, I talked to customer that came in for oil change. He said that he getting Synthetic oil cause his service writer said that it would be good for 10,000 miles. Some person on Carcomplaint.com said the he broke the seal at the dealer and found it overfilled for the test. I am not trusting them on the resolves. I am a proud veteran - I hope that I can still be. How come the News didn't report it?

I have recently bought Used 2014 XLE from dealer. Carfax has no accident history. Initial drive looked great, so purchased car and after few weeks of driving found my back is started paining (I am 35 years old). So started closely observing the vehicle and found seats are vibrating at low speeds and also felt every bump on the road. It looks like the vibration is coming somewhere from rear as engine looks pretty smooth. One of the senior mechanic looked at in detail and said he feels the vibration but cannot find any root cause because everything looks pretty new including driveshaft, suspension, brakes, etc. I feel the Toyota built the rear suspension very stiff which is making every small bump on the road to feel and vehicle vibrates. Very bad choice and I don't recommend for anyone who intends do city driving.

I know most people come to a site like this to complain when they have a problem. Most people who never have an issue do not come to a site like this ever. But I was doing some oil research and came across this site. We own 2 Rav4's and we ADORE them both. One is a 2003 with 210,000 miles and still runs like a bear. The other is a beautiful red 2015 Rav4 XLE with 9k who drives like a dream. Very little if any issues with the 2003... When YOU MAINTAIN IT.

I find after reading these reviews most people do NOT know anything about cars nor do they maintain them. To simply do your own oil changes eludes people. I predict and expect the 03' will go way past 300k. And the 2015 to do even better since I have her since new. I got the 03' at 42k miles. These cars are utilitarian. They can handle a beating. They are nimble with excellent driving position. Perfect for a day out or long trips. I would take my 2003 across country easily right now. Toyota's last... Recommended!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota?

I purchased my Rav4 at the end of 2015. I like it and drives very smooth. However I found out a problem in it. Its rear window is not strong enough. It explodes when the temperature inside the car is different from outside during early morning. I suggest leave one window a little open to protect blow up.

2006 RAV4 with 114k - First the alternator went out at 97k then it started have an idling issue where it would shake when you stopped at red light or stop sign. It stopped for a while then started back. Then while going on an emergency out of town it would not start. No lights came on prior. I checked the oil and it was empty I had just had an oil change 1200 miles prior. Put oil in still would not start. Tried a different vehicle to jump it off and got it started. Put a new battery in the vehicle - it started doing the idling thing 10 times worse! It would go dead when stopped. Was told it would need to reset - drove it 400 miles home from the trip and it's still not better.

Took it to the dealership today and they tell me the bolt on the Engine mount it is loose and the throttle body needs cleaning (they say this will fix it but not so sure). This is by far the worst vehicle I have ever owned! I'm also currently doing the oil consumption test. As soon as I get it back it's being sold. We own two other Toyotas and have never had any issues!

I had my car in park in the driveway. I was talking to the mail lady. I walked around my car into my yard to the mail box. Suddenly my drive shot out of the driveway like someone was driving it. The car hit a tree and there is extensive damage to the back. I am unsure what to do, Toyota is not helping me and the insurance company says unless they do I am stuck. The mail lady witnessed the accident.

I have a 2007 Toyota Rav4 that I am not happy with. I had to replace the steering shaft about 5 years after I got it. It had just come off the warranty and Toyota would not pay for it. I wrote them a letter but got no help. I now have to replace the steering shaft again. Is this normal? I don't know anything about cars but this doesn't seem right. I have also had to replace my alternator twice. I will never buy another Toyota.

I was very disappointed when the front brake pads started making a noise and I had to get new brake pads before reaching 20,000 miles! Front windows get stuck often when rolling them down! No big deal according to Toyota! It's normal due to the sensor it has which is very sensitive and little dirt could turn it on and automatically roll down the window sensing something is blocking (kind of like a hand or something on the way). Anyways after the two years warranty expired (at 32,000 miles) suddenly I heard a rattle noise when starting the car! I still have to find out what's going on. Honestly I feel like new cars are made to break down after the two year warranty! Not happy with TOYOTA!

My Toyota Rav 2008 model has just cost me 1070.00 to replace the alternator. 3400 to rectify a sludge problem and replace the water pump. This has all occurred in a period of 1 month. I was told that the sludge in the motor would have caused the damage described. I bought the Rav second hand at the cost of 19,990 3 years ago. Have regularly had her service by Toyota. Spoke to Toyota Australia and have been told it was the bad service records of previous owner. Can I get any help or advice on how to handle my situation. Thank you.

I purchased a Toyota RAV4 May 2014 and every light on the hatch is cracking or falling off and Toyota will do nothing. They will not take any responsibility. What a joke.

I have a 2015 Toyota RAV4, but since I bought this vehicle I have been having back and neck pain which is as a result of the poor quality front driver's seat. I have tried to adjust the seat but nothing seem to change. I then decided to buy seat pad but still not better. I am seriously thinking of getting rid of this vehicle for something better.

Noticed the brand new 2016 Rav4 XLE pulls to the right strongly after 3 days owning the car with 200 miles. Went to the dealer twice and did 2 alignments and cross tire rotation. The service admits the pulls and claim they fixed it the 1st time. However actually nothing is changed. Still pulls to the right, not any better. Come back again and the same technician tried to align and rotate again. We tested drive and still found it. The dealers lead technician mentioned he did everything he can but still cannot fix it. He opened a case to Toyota corp to investigate.

Me and the technician together drove another identical new RAV4 (with same MSRP) and both of us do not find the pulls on this one. So the problem is just with the one I purchased. This adds a lot of stress and distraction as it needs constant adjusting the steering wheel. It is a safety issue due to the extra distraction. It is not a normal pull. It pulls heavily and even turning the steering wheel a little bit left, within 3 seconds the car will go to the right on every lane of all types of road, consistently. I owned several other Toyota (some are 1 year new) and none of them has this issue. (This is after all realignment!) Very disappointed with this brand new car and introduces a lot of hassles after spending 27K on it! Because tire/alignment are not the issues I expect some defective parts, however the dealer say they cannot fix it...

My husband's seatbelt did not hold and his airbag did not deploy correctly when he got into an accident. He broke his sternum. The trauma unit doctors said it takes a tremendous amount of force to break your sternum, so he had gone directly into the steering column without the seatbelt or airbag slowing him down. The doctors noted that there was no bruising from the seatbelt, so it had not caught at all. The broken bone was displaced, with one piece of the bone dangerously close to piercing his heart. It took months of pain to heal.

We reported it to Toyota immediately and they sent their "own" team to investigate the totaled RAV4 and reported to us that there was nothing wrong with the seatbelt or airbag. We protested their findings, citing recalls and the doctor's notes, but they did not care. When I posted warnings on their Facebook page, they blocked me from making any more comments and deleted my posts, even though their page says, "We value your opinions. Please join us." Any company who blocks a customer's negative remarks is hiding something.

Earlier in 2015 I carried my 2015 RAV4 to the New Bern, NC for brake problems. The pedal went almost to the floor before stopping and seemed to continue leaking down. The dealership looked at the problem and determined that this was normal for the 2015 RAV4. I proceeded to drive the RAV4 a few weeks until I had a close call when stopping. After making another appt with the dealership, the service manager went for a ride with me so I could show him the problem. He did not see a problem. We then took a new 2015 RAV4 for a test drive so I could compare the results. The new RAV4 4 stopped a little better but nothing like the 2010 Prius that would throw you through the windshield!

After much discussion, the service manager agreed that there seemed to be some problem with the brakes. He stated that he would adjust the pedal to the max and do further testing. After some time, the car was ready. The pedal was adjusted, new pads were put on the front, and the back pads were resurfaced. The brakes are better, but not as good as the Prius or my previous 2012 Camry.

I later carried the RAV4 to the dealership to check out a fuel light which had come on my last trip with still 4+ gallons still in the tank. Also, I got only 19 miles per gallon on totally highway driving. The advisor seemed to think this was not abnormal but checked it out. Nothing found. I complained about the dirty oil after only 4500 miles. Again, I had only my Prius to compare it to. After discussion, the service mgr agreed to change the oil & filter to hopefully correct the problem although the 10000 mile mark had not been reached but timewise (over a year), it was due. We'll see.

Please note that I have been driving & have owned Toyota vehicles in excess of 40 years. In all those years I have promoted and sold Toyota vehicles as a consumer. My opinion of this manufacturer has changed drastically the last couple years. I had a 2005 RAV4 limited that I loved. After the last time someone crashed into it and the car was totaled in 2009 I purchased a new Rav4 V6 limited. I experienced the gas pedal recall but I treated the car as an automatic. 2011 I had a leak of the rear differential fluid and the dealership goodwilled new shocks. This is where my radar activated.

As of last year I am not replacing mechanical parts with Toyota parts. My car just received its 3rd pair of shocks. Brake pads are next. Will be the 3rd set. The drivetrain assembly (coupler $1400 part) will need to be replaced. Toyota changed the manufacturer of their parts... possibly around 2006 and I know this is a source of a lot of their recalls. My last Rav had 157K and was ready to go to the moon and back. Only had brake pads replaced 1x and shocks were never replaced. My 2009 is a full time job even with my knowledge & experience.

My latest is with the suspension recall which I had the fix done in 9/2014. 2/15 I had a car run into the rear of my car. After getting the bodywork done I had the recall fix done again. There is no way to align the rear without having the recall fix done ($600). There is nothing wrong with my car from the accident. However after I had the fix done the right and left are out of toe. Improper tire wear and therefore braking is affected. I have been told that "this is ok". I get alignment readings done on a Hunter Hawkeye machine only. Unfortunately Toyota corporate is not what it used to be. I am so disappointed in a company that I have loved (yes loved) and supported for years. Even with all of my knowledge and experience I am not sure why Toyota has made the decisions they have chosen.

I am having the same issue as "Mary of Simcoe, ON on July 2, 2014" and "Susan of Minneapolis, MN on July 22, 2014". I have a white 2013 Toyota RAV4 and the paint has begun cracking and peeling on the horizontal surface of the driver's side passenger door. A huge spot has begun cracking and peeling in a spot that would never be bumped or banged or hit by rocks. The peeling spots look just like Mary's pictures. My car is 32 months old with 20,800K miles. It should be covered by the 3 yr/36K Basic Warranty against defects in material or workmanship. In addition to the regular warranty, I also purchased the extended warranty from the dealership.

When I called the dealership service department, I spoke a woman who said she had accessed my warranty information and that paint defects were not covered. She had not seen the car to assess the issue, but told me flat out it was not covered. I found my warranty information and saw that ALL defects in material or workmanship are covered under the Basic Warranty for the 1st 3 yrs/36,000 miles (which my car meets) so I called back and spoke to possibly the same woman, although she said she had not spoken to me before. I read the warranty to her and told her this repair should be covered under warranty and asked her how to proceed. She said she would have someone call me. Nobody has called me.

I am calling the dealership tomorrow morning and asking for the service manager. I am going to try to get it in tomorrow for them to review and take pictures if necessary, because a big snow storm is coming the next day and they will probably say it is my fault after the snow storm. I have had good rapport with the service department in the past but it looks like they are going to put up a fight. What a shame. I owned a Toyota Sienna van before this car for over 14 years with no paint issues or any other kind of major issues. It seems like I have a lemon and will be looking for a new brand of automobile for my next purchase.

Paint began to peel in the area between the windshield and the sunroof on 2010 Toyota RAV4. I took the car to the local dealer and was referred to Toyota Customer Support. I called December 31, 2014 and received a case number **. Did not get any response from Toyota. I took the car to a body shop to have the affected areas painted. After careful examination, the body shop determined the original paint is defective. I have issues where the paint is bubbling on the rest of the car. The paint did not adhere to the metal. I called customer support again to see if there was any response to my original case. The customer support representative was very professional and apologetic, but no help with my problem. It really concerns me when it is obviously a Toyota problem, and I am stuck.

My observation is concerning the mag or alloy wheels that are installed on many new cars at the factory. My direct experience is with the 2009 Toyota RAV4. I've had the RAV since new and it is on its second set of tires (Coopers) and has 52K miles on the odometer. Present set of tires has 18K miles on them with a 60K warranty. They have been mounted for 16 months. Starting at month 9 one wheel started "weeping air" and was repaired by the aftermarket dealer, Pep Boys, at a cost and is presently OK. A second wheel started at 14 months, same repair, same dealer. Now at 16 months a 3rd wheel has started weeping and needs repair. I have been told by several tire dealers this problem is typical and common with all brands of factory installed alloys and caused by oxidation between the tire and rim seal. The Toyota dealership has not offered a recall or replacement.

Each time the tire needs to be removed, the rim sanded and polished, then the tire is "glued" or sealed back in place. None of the repaired wheels have the rim leak come back yet but time will tell. The use of any type of tire seal additive such as "Slime" is not recommended because of the special valve stems monitoring air pressure. One wheel has yet to show this problem and I'm keeping a calendar to see when that happens. I'm not sure if my experience is from buying Cooper Tires or with Pep Boys but with comments from other tire stores and other brands, the common factor is oxidizing rims. No idea how to avoid this so if you purchase a new vehicle with fancy Alloy Rims, get a lifetime warranty on the wheels or buy steel.

Also note that the same design may not be available two or more years after the sale so the warranty should specify that if one wheel is affected, all similar wheels should be replaced with matching rims. Also note that steel rims rust and may not look as cool but the rim seals are far less than alloys. I am not aware of any factory recalls concerning this problem but the manufacturer should be challenged and the alloys be improved.

I got a Toyota RAV4 2015 six months ago, and since then, I've been suffering from mid-back pain. After driving for about 30-40 minutes, I feel my back hurting and I become uncomfortable. No amount of shifting and seat adjustment relieve the back pain. I've had pillows, back rests, neck rests, I practically tried everything to make my ride a comfortable one, to no avail. Imagine my shock when I read reviews about people having the same kind of back pain with their 2015 RAV4. Great. I am seriously thinking of changing my car. The car is great, with lots of nice gadgetry and it's got huge space, but the back pain is killing me. I've had different Toyotas before this one, so I guess this seat fail is a major blunder on the part of the engineers of Toyota.

I just purchase a Toyota rav4 brand new from Toyota dealership in Rockwall Tx and it was purchase august 2015. I was driving down freeway last night and I heard a loud bang on my car but no one hit me. Pulled over at gas station to look and my wheel cover in front of car flew off and damage by bumper with a big dent and lost my cover. Went to Toyota to let them see next morning and the guys in garage looked at it and said someone hit my car. I let them know that did not happen and I was left to pay my own damages. Was looking to see if a recall if not they do need one. This is dangerous for a cover to just come off a brand new car and could have been a terrible accident and Toyota will take no responsibility now.

Purchased a used 2011 vehicle (2 years ago). During the summer months, I noticed increased rusting on the inside of the door frames. By the following year, the driver's door was so bad, it had rusting approximately the length of the rubber pad and the passenger door was doing the same. The back two passengers doors were starting, but nearing the same corrosion. I stopped in at Cambridge and Kitchener Toyota locations, but neither wanted to help. The Cambridge location was aggressive in their behavior and at one point, blamed the problem on the type of paint used.

I took it to a body place, $300.00 later I had fixed the rust issues; then another $200.00 to cover the freshly painted inside door frame with plastic, so that I would not have to deal with it again. When writing to Toyota, the first explanation was "In the case with corrosion, there are many variables that will contribute to the durability. One example would be salty and wet conditions during the winter." When I explained about this happening in the summer months, they referred back to the warranty. I do see a pattern of passing the buck, not no solutions; from any Toyota locations. It is very disappointing to have a 2011 vehicle rust on the inside of the door frame. The auto body place clearly stated that this was design flaw. This is my second Rav4 (2004). However the older version did not have the rubber pad on the door frame. Regardless of all the effort I did on my end, Toyota continues to pass the buck, the solution and cost are all mine.

I was disappointed to find out that my front brake pads were completely worn out. I only have 25,000 miles on my 2 year old Rav4. When I took it for its first maintenance service I already complained about a squeaking noise on my front wheels particularly every time I used it in the morning. The dealership told me that my pads were ok. 15,000 miles later my pads were completely worn out. I was assured by the dealership and Toyota Warranty that there was nothing abnormal about my car.

3 months ago I went for servicing and the service Engineer told me my brake pad for a RAV 4 2015 model needs to be change, for a car less than 1 year old being driven on smooth road. Please at what stage do I need to change my brake pad because friends tell me it is too early?

I am very disappointed in my overall experience with Toyota. I turned in my RAV4 last month (this was my second Toyota). I planned on leasing another RAV but I kept being jerked around and treated quite poorly, so I decided to not lease another Toyota. Before turning in my car I went for an oil change to make sure everything was up to par, cleaned it out, etc. Then I get a bill a month later for excessive wear and tear. Excuse me?! I went online and saw the pictures and it looks like someone literally tore the hood insulator out.

I am kicking myself right now for not taking pictures of every inch before turning it in. I opened the hood and everything was in order but my word isn't good enough. At least give your customers the option of replacing the insulator instead of charging 20x the actual price. Complete bogus. From this experience, I will never, and I repeat never, own/lease another Toyota.

2015 Rav4 - Why have back windows that open that makes a noise, how to fix that? Why not have the headlights come on auto - you must have them on in work zones, when wipers are on dusk and dawn. The ride is great. Mileage is better than the truck, but not as good as the VW.

I purchased 2015 RAV4. The driver seat has some problems. After driving for 30 minutes I start feeling pain in the middle of my back. I tried all different settings. Nothing worked. I do not have any problems with other Toyota vehicle seats but with this model I am not very satisfied. Look like there are couple of springs in the middle of seat pushing against back. I even tried cushion but not a big relief. I talked to dealership and they said they cannot do anything as that's how it is designed. Thinking about changing my vehicle as I am so uncomfortable with a seat.

This is regarding Toyota's Excessive Oil Consumption notice (Bulletin # ZE7). If you received a notice from Toyota and are planning on bringing your vehicle in for the repair, things to be aware of: We have a 2007 RAV4 that has been burning oil for some time, no drips or smoke coming from the tailpipe, just a loss of oil. On 3/21/15, we brought the vehicle to Melody Toyota in San Bruno CA for the test to see if it qualified for excessive oil consumption. At this time they said that we needed to have the oil and filter changed, at our expense, to start the process. Once that was done they marked everything and said to bring the vehicle back within 1100-1300 miles.

Prior to reaching this mileage the engine oil light came on so we brought the vehicle back to Melody Toyota on 5/4/15. At that time, Melody stated that something was wrong with the test and they wanted us to perform the test again. After a frustrating discussion Melody agreed that the car had failed the test and we were to bring that car back to them once the parts become available.

Approximately one month later we brought the car back to Melody to have the work done. We dropped it off on 6/11/15 and they said that it would take approximately one week to do the work, even though the Toyota bulletin states the effort should take two days. Prior to the one week we called Melody and asked about the progress. This is when we started to get answers like, "We don't know when the vehicle will be ready." Then this turned into, "We are waiting on parts to become available."

After multiple discussions with Melody and Toyota Corporate we found out that they are still waiting on parts, standard push pins, and have no idea as to when these push pins will become available. It is almost two months later and we still have not been informed as to when the push pin parts will be available. We cannot get our vehicle back as the original parts are no longer usable. Talk about feeling helpless and at the mercy of Toyota. This is a horrible experience and paints a very bad image for Toyota.

After 6000 miles oil warning light came on. Pulled off motorway. Oil level non-existent on the dipstick. Had to put 1 litre of oil into the engine to get oil level up to the top dipstick marker. Did another 4000 miles and needed another litre of oil. Rav4 are heavy on oil. Company force you to have to complete 10,000 miles and then come in after 1,000 more and 2,000 miles i.e. 11,000 and 12,000 miles to check oil consumption. I just want to warn people that their new Rav4 consume oil. Excessively. Either the piston linings are faulty or the piston rings are defective.

Toyota RAV4 Company Profile