Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes
3.99/5

Toyota RAV4

The Toyota RAV4 was the first compact crossover SUV to come on the market in 1994. Read more Toyota reviews to learn about other models.

Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

231 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I purchased the car this spring. When it’s a little cold out you cannot get any heat unless you turn it up to max. And in the summer the AC works out control. The only way to control the AC is roll down the windows or turn off the AC, I called Toyota and they don’t care. The dealership Says there nothing wrong with it. Then I asked why no heat. They don’t know and can’t did it. I will never buy a Toyota again.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

My 2017 RAV4 XLE engine is a 2.5 liter 2AR-FE, that is going to be replaced for 2019 model with the new 2.5l. A25A-FKS new platform TNGA Toyota New Global Architecture. Problem: My heel hurts. In my opinion is the accelerator spring too strong, say to avoid unintended acceleration. I think Toyota overreacted to past problems, that in reality were software malfunctions, but for public relations purposes the mats were blamed. All cars have mats and we have driven over them for many years, but only now Toyota decided to blame the mats. Toyotas are great, but I wish you can share with me a solution how can I replace the accelerator with an ergonomic, softer and better designed? Perhaps is there in the market a replacement? Perhaps the new TNGA platform brings solution to this problem?

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I had my first flat tire in my RAV4 today. To my dismay the jack handle did not fit through the eyelet of the jack (they flattened the tube while making the hook). I was forced to use the bar alone to jack the car and in the process scratched my door paint. WTF Toyota? What happened to quality control. This is supposed to be an emergency item. You made my emergency more of an emergency.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I purchase my 2012 RAV4 brand new directly from the dealer. On my way to work I noticed something flapping in the wind when I looked at my right side mirror. When I got to the parking lot I realized it was an ENTIRE SHEET OF PAINT hanging down from my passenger side rear quarter panel that just peeled off in one piece! I took it to my auto body mechanic and he told me it is definitely an issue with the "OEM e-coat" and that it wasn't sanded for paint adhesion. He told me to contact Toyota because I have a good case. Well, I called Toyota North America and they will not help. They said they have no recalls on paint issues. My dealership told me they can't help if corporate isn't standing behind the issue. Shame on you Toyota! Way to lose good customers.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

Toyota Rav 4 is not reliable. The transmission makes a whistling sound when decelerating that Toyota says is normal but my dealer says it is not. My navigation system will get you lost 50% of the time and the mileage on this vehicle is terrible. Toyota corporate does not care what you or the dealer think. Their word is final with no explanation. This is my last Toyota.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota RAV4?

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

The paint is peeling off my 2011 Toyota Rav4. Mine is not the only one with this problem as I've seen others with the same issue. It appears to be all 2011 models with the pearl white paint. Contacted Toyota, and they will not even acknowledge the problem and do not have a solution. Will never purchase another Toyota because of this.

Original review: June 21, 2018

RAV4 is the best car I've ever owned. Been driving it for years with very minimal work needed and never any lights on the dash unless they are supposed to be! I will never own another American car. I love how it's still small and cute but yet has a ton of space. I've fit all kinds of stuff in it from palettes, beds, dressers and huge TVs amongst other things. It's a very smooth driving car, though it would be nice with maybe more cool features and better cup holders. It has a warning that it tips over more easy than other vehicles so maybe a bit more wide than narrow.

Original review: June 20, 2018

Love this vehicle for my family of three plus two large dogs with the two dogs in the very back, daughters car seat in the back, and plenty of room for passengers! The keyless ignition is nice and I love how it unlocks when I bring the key for near the door. Great for when I'm bringing groceries to the car and have my hands full! Spacious and functional! We love traveling with this vehicle. The latch straps are great for popping the car seat in! The back opens up like a door (side opening vs top opening) and it's got good safety ratings. Plenty of space to separate kids and dogs! I love the heated seats and backup camera! I enjoy how quiet and smooth the ride is as well!

However, I dislike the gas mileage and size of gas tank. I feel like we fly through every fill up and the tank size is small. Aside from that I do not have any complaints or concerns! We love Toyota vehicles since both of us have owned Camrys with several hundred thousand miles with minimal repairs. The brand was definitely a huge deciding factor along with the reviews online. Great vehicle overall! It's positive, enjoyable and fun.

Original review: June 19, 2018

This car is replacing my previous RAV4, which my daughter is now driving. Toyota has been a dependable brand for us for many years. I love the styling, size and handling of the RAV4. I feel very confident driving it in any weather that Maine throws at us. It is a very roomy and reliable car. It has the rear backup screen and Bluetooth which I love. It was satisfying and exceeding my expectations. Since I previously owned a RAV4, there was no adjustment to the size and handling of the vehicle. I really liked the way the rear of my old RAV4 opened to the side like a regular car door. If I could change anything about this newer one, it would be to have the rear door open like the old one as I am a shorter person and have to reach to close the current one.

Original review: June 18, 2018

It's comfortable, good price, economic, nice to drive, good motor, resister and low maintenance. It doesn't use a lot gas and it's not inconvenient, has back up camera and good power. However, it's manual starting and don't have navigator, automatic windows nor heating system on the chairs.

Toyota RAV4 Company Information