3.83/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Toyota RAV4

The Toyota RAV4 was the first compact crossover SUV to come on the market in 1994. Read more Toyota reviews to learn about other models.

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Toyota RAV4 Reviews

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

I have been a Toyota loyal customer since I bought my 2016 Rav4 XLE from Team Toyota Glen Mills PA. Along with the purchase of my car the salesperson convince me to purchase additional Toyota platinum factory warranty for 100K miles till 2024 total of 8 year of factory warranty. Now they refuse to repair or replace my aluminum rims because are corroded due to expiration of the original factory warranty and and they do not honor the Toyota platinum warranty to cover it. What a ripoff, do not buy the Toyota platinum for any price. It's a waste of money. They mislead the customers for the coverage's that they provide. They just want to make sales for their Toyota Dealer.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2019

I got a Toyota RAV4 at Findlay Toyota in Henderson, NV for my wife, 2 years ago. When the car had 12K miles it got a weird sound when she pushed the brakes. The service department said it was just dirt in the brake pads and that it would disappear with time. At 14K miles the sound remained, and the service department insisted it was dirt. At 19K miles the sound still was there and the service department said that was a problem with those cars, but the new ones didn't have the problem and that we have to replace the brakes at our own cost. This is unbelievable, they knew the car had that problem, but they just transfer the solution to the customer. We have to pay for their mistakes.

I called Toyota and spoke with a service manager and she just said there was nothing they could do and that if I was not satisfied I could write a bad review, which means they don't care, they just want your money and once they get it you are not their customer anymore. 30 years ago I lived in Colombia, South America, and I got a Toyota Hilux. The car also had problems with the brake system; when I had to stop real fast, the car started spinning (it made about two 360 degrees circles at 65 miles per hour). The story was the same, the customer service department said they didn't know anything about that problem and that I had to pay to solve it. Three years later that car got a recall due to that problem, and the solution was to replace all the hydraulic hoses for bigger ones, but I already had done that out of my pocket. It seems to me Toyota still needs to learn how to do brake and needs more training for the service department.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2019

Hi, Incident Occurred: 8-28-2019. VIN Number: **. Model: Toyota Rav4 Red color 2014. I purchased the car from Doral Toyota in 2014 and financed car with Toyota. I just made my last payment for the car this month. Details for Incident: I was driving into "Shops at Pembroke" on pines BLVD when my car suddenly stopped. Everything stopped including car/Electrical failure. Doors got locked and somehow I manually was manage to open the door. I saw Smoke coming out at rapid speed from the Fuse Box from the front. I called 911 ASAP. While I was on the call with them the fire increased at rapid speed and burnt the car.

I could have died inside the car and I always service my car at Doral Toyota. You can ask them my service history. I strongly believe this is manufacture Defect which needs to be addressed. I have filled claim with my Insurance Company Also. I am attaching some pictures and video which I had taken and I have more if you ask for it. My Half of the car got Burnt and I was hardly able to get out during the life threatening incident. How should I do deal with this situation or file case against Toyota?

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

Today I was told our RAV4 “condenser” had a crack/hole in it which they’re assuming was caused by a rock flicking up while driving and that it’s NOT covered under warranty... Today is also THREE WEEKS since we picked this car up from the dealership! Ironically I had read about this happening to people in America (I’m in Australia) a few days after picking the car up and was planning on speaking to Toyota about it when getting our bullbar installed (4 weeks post pick up) to see if this was known issue/anyway to prevent it here in Australia or if American models are designed slightly different.

We didn’t want to go installing anything ourselves and then have to take it off to get the bullbar put on so thought surely that won’t happen to me so quickly. I’ll be fine. Well wasn’t I so wrong! So not only is our brand new car damaged and not covered under warranty, they have no idea how long it will take to get the part to fix it being such a new model...

So if any of you value your gorgeous new RAV4s, your cool air conditioning and your money (I’ve been told we will be looking easily over $1000 AUD to fix, that’s just a guess from the dealership without parts/labour quotes), I’d STRONGLY suggest you install something (we are going to look at getting metal security fly screen, cutting it to size and securing it inside the hood somehow as I can’t find anything made in Australia for this) ASAP to prevent this happening! I am devastated and will be contacting every department possible to fight this as I feel this is a massive design fault that could be prevented!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

Bought ‘19 Rav4 Trail Edition (Canada...Adventure model in US). Transfer case clutch started to fail after 3 months... widespread issue in the AWD models, still waiting for Toyota to fix it. A service bulletin was issued for the problem, but Toyota isn’t notifying buyers... you have to keep pestering the dealership to find out what’s going on. Very disappointed in Toyota’s “quality reputation”, as my new Big 3 purchases always gave me more than 3 months major defect-free.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota RAV4?

Original review: July 18, 2019

I bought a new Rav 4 in 2008. I had to replace the drive shaft twice in 2013 and 2017. Now it burns a quart of oil per week. The recall for excessive oil consumption has expired so I'm left with a worthless vehicle. Be careful when buying Toyota. They do not help you at all.

Original review: July 17, 2019

In 2009 purchased my 4th Toyota, loyalist since 1981. All previous purchases were great. Lending an average 250K no major problems until this one, 2006 Rav4 2.4L Limited Pearl White. This vehicle has under 120K miles, w/ 4 major problems. Bought auto used at 36K miles. Around 60K the transmission started doing funky things, while feeding gas to travel, it would jerk and stop the feed, scared me silly, kept thinking how lucky I was didn't happen at 65 MPH w/ someone behind me.

Dlr could not make it happen, brought it up 3 times w/ them. Transmission business was able to make it happen. After about 30 minutes of heated up engine from a stop and start ie. stop sign or light, at 20 MPH it would literally stop feeding, let foot off gas, and re feed slowly will get it going again, but very dangerous when in any busy town (102,000 miles). Just out of warranty. Replace the transmission at a tune of 4K Toyota pricing.

Prob. #2. From the 36K miles noticed w/ first 3k miles I needed to add oil, the engine uses oil and Toyota is aware, was notified of problem w/ letter from Toyota after my warranty was up, around 2015. Prob. #3. The steering started knocking and continues to on occasion around 109K mls, while turning the wheel. There's a recall and though the dealer has said they'd get me in it's been over a year since recall and they still (2nd ask of them) have not set my appointment. They only fixed one recall. The belts, but have told me as they get the parts I'm on list to set an appt. Cabin smell, I replaced the air filter for this under the glove box. Now the beautiful white pearl paint is peeling from roof. Can not wash the area w/ water pressure, it was never hit or scratched in this area.

I bought 3 of my 4 Toyotas from this dealer in Muncy, PA. I am done w/ Toyotas. This is a Limited edition. 1st car Corolla from CA State 1981 New, 400K+ miles when last spoke to buyer whom I sold for 2K w/ 245K miles on it, and kept in touch w/ buyer. Next was a Cressida v6, 1994. Great vehicle never any problems. Next was a 1998 Camry v4, I traded the Cressida, no front wheel drive so decided I wanted FWD, and again 245K miles and sold for 2K in 2009. But when I bought this Rav4, financed at 0% for 5 years used through Toyota, paid it off in 2010, thinking no problems, until the transmission occasionally around 60K would do its jerk stop as I am feeding gas going uphill usually long driveway. At 106K miles it started happening all the time. When weather hot it happens a lot.

Am disabled and cannot afford new Transmission. Praise God as he has kept me safe, but do not go anywhere w/ distance. I have borrowed friends' cars to do specialty Doctor visits. Would like to see more reviews based on the transmission problems as I am sure that others have had this same experience other than the 2 I have read about.

I also noticed on your site that all those who have experience the paint peeling process, all have white Rav4s. The other models have been great, but not only am I let down w/ Toyota's hiding the transmission problem, but that the dealer has helped them to hide their problem, and is not acting responsibly w/recall notices. Truly steer clear of the Rav4s w/ 4 cyl 2.4 engines. Even their Matrix used this engine. I have done extensive research to try to find a vehicle that gets 200K miles without any expensive fixes. Because of my disability I have trouble w/ low cars getting in and out, which leaves me w/ much fewer choices than I prefer.

Original review: July 9, 2019

I had no problem until at 10 thousand miles I brought the car in for an oil change. Ever since I have been having problems and my regular mechanic said it is definitely the catalytic converter. My car does not run that well but my main complaint is the constant odor of rotten eggs and a burning smell. The problem has to show up on their computer in order for them to fix it. The assistant manager said the guys do not take the cars for test drives because they work on profit. I feel like I want to give the car back but it would affect my credit too much. I feel trapped like there is nothing I can do because Toyota is such a large company. Maybe by writing this I can help someone from going with a Toyota. I will never get a Toyota again.

Original review: July 2, 2019

We recently bought a 2019 Toyota Rav 4 adventure model, it has a serious growling noise and everyone stares at you when you're driving by. Toyota hasn't done a thing to fix it. I didn't spend that kind of money to drive a lemon. I highly recommend you buy a different type of SUV, Toyota don't care about their customer's needs.

Original review: July 1, 2019

I leased 2018 RAV4, my 2nd Toyota. I have been complaining about the poor stopping distance since I got the car; Toyota service kept saying it is normal. At my 10k mile checkup, suddenly all 4 brakes have failed, requiring replacement of pads AND rotors. The Service Manager told me it is extremely rare for all 4 to fail at once, let alone at 10k miles. I've owned over 15 cars in 40+ years of driving, and have NEVER had a brake issue. The Dealership offered to cover front pads only, which makes no sense to me. I have contacted Toyota Corporate, who did manage to get front and back pads covered, and will get back to me regarding if they will cover the rotors or not.

Toyota RAV4 Company Information