4.16/5
Based on 65 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Auto Warranty Expired?

Toyota RAV4

The Toyota RAV4 was the first compact crossover SUV to come on the market in 1994. Read more Toyota reviews to learn about other models.

227 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

Toyota Rav 4 is not reliable. The transmission makes a whistling sound when decelerating that Toyota says is normal but my dealer says it is not. My navigation system will get you lost 50% of the time and the mileage on this vehicle is terrible. Toyota corporate does not care what you or the dealer think. Their word is final with no explanation. This is my last Toyota.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

The paint is peeling off my 2011 Toyota Rav4. Mine is not the only one with this problem as I've seen others with the same issue. It appears to be all 2011 models with the pearl white paint. Contacted Toyota, and they will not even acknowledge the problem and do not have a solution. Will never purchase another Toyota because of this.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 21, 2018

RAV4 is the best car I've ever owned. Been driving it for years with very minimal work needed and never any lights on the dash unless they are supposed to be! I will never own another American car. I love how it's still small and cute but yet has a ton of space. I've fit all kinds of stuff in it from palettes, beds, dressers and huge TVs amongst other things. It's a very smooth driving car, though it would be nice with maybe more cool features and better cup holders. It has a warning that it tips over more easy than other vehicles so maybe a bit more wide than narrow.

Original review: June 20, 2018

Love this vehicle for my family of three plus two large dogs with the two dogs in the very back, daughters car seat in the back, and plenty of room for passengers! The keyless ignition is nice and I love how it unlocks when I bring the key for near the door. Great for when I'm bringing groceries to the car and have my hands full! Spacious and functional! We love traveling with this vehicle. The latch straps are great for popping the car seat in! The back opens up like a door (side opening vs top opening) and it's got good safety ratings. Plenty of space to separate kids and dogs! I love the heated seats and backup camera! I enjoy how quiet and smooth the ride is as well!

However, I dislike the gas mileage and size of gas tank. I feel like we fly through every fill up and the tank size is small. Aside from that I do not have any complaints or concerns! We love Toyota vehicles since both of us have owned Camrys with several hundred thousand miles with minimal repairs. The brand was definitely a huge deciding factor along with the reviews online. Great vehicle overall! It's positive, enjoyable and fun.

Original review: June 19, 2018

This car is replacing my previous RAV4, which my daughter is now driving. Toyota has been a dependable brand for us for many years. I love the styling, size and handling of the RAV4. I feel very confident driving it in any weather that Maine throws at us. It is a very roomy and reliable car. It has the rear backup screen and Bluetooth which I love. It was satisfying and exceeding my expectations. Since I previously owned a RAV4, there was no adjustment to the size and handling of the vehicle. I really liked the way the rear of my old RAV4 opened to the side like a regular car door. If I could change anything about this newer one, it would be to have the rear door open like the old one as I am a shorter person and have to reach to close the current one.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota RAV4?

Original review: June 18, 2018

It's comfortable, good price, economic, nice to drive, good motor, resister and low maintenance. It doesn't use a lot gas and it's not inconvenient, has back up camera and good power. However, it's manual starting and don't have navigator, automatic windows nor heating system on the chairs.

Original review: June 17, 2018

I love this car because of the backup camera and it is all wheel drive big enough for my family. My dog can fit in the back also with my daughter so I dont have to take her to the vet without my daughter and also I can do all my grocery shopping. I can fit 5 people in my car. It handles its self very well in the snow. I love that the lights are easily accessed and how bright and far the lights go, the heat works through the whole car, the different defrost buttons for the car. It also has the option where I can put only half the seat down not the whole thing which is great. I can also store some stuff in the trunk under the flap. Also the oil for the car is great. However, the brakes go too fast on the car it seems like and I also dont like how some doesnt have heated seats which I'm used to from my other car but I can get used to it. I wish I could put 3 car seats in my car but I cant and I wish it would've come with a storage under the backseats for my kids stuff.

Original review: June 16, 2018

I've love my Toyota RAV4! It fits everything I need it to. I can run carpool with my neighbor's kids and mine. There's a tone of space in the back, so going on trips or even large grocery runs are so easy. It's a hatchback, so I can fit so much in there. With two kids, going on trips in the car requires a lot of room for necessities. We have no problem putting everything in the car. It would be great if it had separate AC vents in the back. There isn't too much room, but I still would be wonderful to have so the kids don't get too hot. Other than that, it's a great car.

Original review: June 15, 2018

I love this car! Smooth and balanced ride. I love taking rides because I feel so comfortable in the car. My kids and grandkids love the car too. The features are great and useful. I have no problem using them at all. They are helpful and most are handsfree. Most perks are included in the steering wheel. It's a perfect fit for me. It's wonderful and exciting.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I love my RAV4. I like the color because it stays cool in the summer. It is white with tan interior. It runs very smoothly and gets pretty good gas mileage. I like the room in the back seat. It is enough for my kids and all our stuff. I wanted a compact SUV that wasn't too big or too small so the RAV4 is perfect. I have always preferred Toyotas. They are always worth more when you resell them. I like the electronic dashboard with navigation system but I wish the GPS was upgraded and sometimes the iPod connector thing gets stuck when I'm trying to start up my music. I also wish the gas mileage was a little better and the engine would rev up faster when I'm trying to pass another car.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I love my Toyota RAV4. Whether I'm driving around town or on the highway for a road trip it's still fun to drive. It's economical to drive and works well. It's reliable and I enjoy driving it. It gets good gas mileage as well. I like the styling and the color. But I would like to add parking assist to help me with parallel parking in town. In addition to heated seats and remote car starter would like to see more entertainment options on this vehicle.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I like the size of the vehicle. It's is a crossover SUV. The gas mileage is great. It has a great deal of space for moving things from place to place when the backseat is put down, which is extremely easy to do. The luggage rack on top makes it easy to add more storage for travel or my kayak which won't fit in the car. I feel safe during it and it has a good overall feel. I have found it to be a reliable automobile. I'm also in general a Toyota buyer. They price help too. It has everything I need as far as features. Just standards not extra. I will get my next vehicle at fully loaded as I can. However, I would have added a third row seat as there is enough room. The speaker system also leaves a lot to be desired. I wish the cup holders were in the middle between the seats and not right under the console. And in general I miss armrests.

Original review: June 11, 2018

The Toyota RAV4's gas mileage is pretty good. I love the car. It has been reliable and not needed any major repairs. I also enjoy the technology and look of it. I also believe they retain value better than most cars. I leased one before buying this one. It's easy, dependable and affordable. They are fun to drive and I like the built in navigation, rear camera and side lane alerts on the side view mirrors. Nevertheless, a hybrid version would be nice and maybe a better standard level sound system. Additional phone charging outlets would be nice, too.

Original review: June 10, 2018

This car is my first SUV and I'm confident in driving this dependable car. I like the all wheel drive and the gas mileage. It is comfortable and has enough legroom in the backseat. It is good for driving in the winter and an automatic car. It fits a car seat well. I trust the Toyota brand. The price was decent for an SUV. I like the display and the size is not too big for an SUV. Though I wish it was four wheel drive rather than all wheel drive for winter driving and that I got heated mirrors to defrost quickly. I do not like that I cannot put on traction control unless I am going under 20 miles per hour.

Original review: June 9, 2018

My Toyota RAV4 provides a smooth ride for a small SUV. It has provided years free of major repairs. Just standard car upkeep is all that has been needed. It has been an enjoyable experience. I chose this vehicle over others due to the consumer reports reviews and overall reputation of Toyota models. I like the fold down seat which provides plenty of room for hauling and or suitcases and other travel gear. The seat controls recently broke and that has become bothersome. They could improve on the hydraulics associated with this feature. It would also be nice to have a seat riser for the front seat passenger.

Original review: June 8, 2018

It runs nice and it's very dependable. It is blue and I have gotten many nice compliments on it. We took on a couple trips already. Drove like a champ. Got excellent gas mileage. Was a very comfortable ride. I like the 4 wheel drive. It's a good winter driving vehicle. The air conditioner works really well. It heats up fast in cold weather. As far as looks it was much nicer looking than a lot of other vehicles we considered. The reviews on it were great before we finally bought it. I do wish it had a better stereo system in it. The one it has is kinda cheaply made I suspect. Also the tire rims could be a lot nicer. The ones we have now are kinda ugly. New ones would cost a lot.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I bought Toyota RAV4 with the 280 HP V6 and I have loved it for that reason. Also we were two states away and hit from behind by a much larger car, some duct tape and a bar from the fire truck and I drove it home. No injuries and no wrecker. I love the car.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I have a Toyota RAV4 2015 and it is an awesome car, easy to drive, comfortable, has Bluetooth phone hook up, a decent stereo with CD player. I love my car. It is one of the best cars I have ever owned. My car choices were either a Toyota or a Subaru because of their reliability and their resale value. I chose Toyota because we have a dealer for them in our town. It's just that it doesn't get as good of gas mileage as I would like, otherwise I have no complaints.

Original review: June 6, 2018

We just bought a 2017 RAV4 Hybrid, and so not yet have many miles on it. Regardless, it is significantly quieter than the Honda CRV, we sold. The ride is considerably better than that of the CRV, which caused us to make many stops on a long trip due to its very uncomfortable seats. Our son has the CRV now, and he complains about how uncomfortable the CRV's seats are on a long-distance trip. By contrast, the RAV4's seats are luxurious.

Original review: June 4, 2018

Had 79,000 and the engine seized. Toyota would not speak to me. Told me that the engine was only covered to 75K. When purchased I swear the salesperson said it was 100k for engine.

Original review: June 3, 2018

Toyota RAV4 is a great car so far. The hybrid is much more responsive than the standard engine. Really have enjoyed the standard safety features. But there is a slight loss of space in the cargo area due to the hybrid battery.

Original review: June 2, 2018

The Toyota RAV4 drives very nice and smooth on the highway. I drove 110 miles per hour no shaking or anything. Also, it has good radio to play loud and when I take my date she is so excited.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I am a big fan of Toyota vehicles. Toyota RAV4 drives very smoothly, very reliable and it's also great on gas. I have had very few problems with mine.

Original review: May 31, 2018

This is my second Rav4 and I love this vehicle except for the road noise especially when highway driving. Sometimes you can hardly have a conversation.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I love this sporty SUV with the alloy wheels! Gives a nice comfortable ride and everybody loves it! I love the bluetooth, answers my calls, and retrieves my text messages, hands free. Also, AWD on the RAV4 SE is awesome in the snow.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I love how my Rav4 handles. With a lot of winter snow, I find that the Rav4 is great in all amounts of snow. In the better weather, I love the sunroof and also how comfortable it rides on a long trip which I do quite often. I LOVE MY TOYOTA RAV 4. Best car I have ever had!

Original review: May 30, 2018

I'm very satisfied and I love this small SUV! It's my second one and it's wonderful. It has lots of room including back and front seat leg room and seats are comfortable even for long rides. The pick up is quick for getting onto freeways and passing and we haven't had any major or even minor problems. It is always ready for anything and it has amazing traction in bad weather too. We don't use the roof rack much but it comes in handy for those large awkward pieces of furniture or a kayak or two. Plus, getting in is easy as it's not too high off the ground. I also love the side opening back; I'm short and the ones that open going up are hard for me. The next car we buy will be another RAV4.

Original review: May 29, 2018

The Rav4 is so easy to drive, it is easy to turn and get in and out of parking spaces. I love driving this SUV. The rear view camera is fantastic. Also, it cleans up nicely. I make the recommended maintenance regularly and the vehicle runs like new.

Original review: May 28, 2018

Toyota RAV4 2010 model, bought used, brakes repaired once. It has perfect balance, easy handling, powerful acceleration (V6 AWD), good in winter/snow, and no mechanical problems. Comfortable seats/good support, good air conditioning, and mileage only fair (about 20mpg city/country).

Original review: May 27, 2018

Our 2015 RAV4, coming up on 40,000 miles, has performed perfectly. It's a Toyota of course. Our other Toyota vehicle, a 2006 Highlander Hybrid, now with 220,000 miles, has also performed, and is still performing, perfectly!

Not sure about Toyota RAV4?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Car Dealers for you.

Toyota RAV4 Company Information

www.toyota.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business