2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.76/5

The Toyota RAV4 was the first compact crossover SUV to come on the market in 1994. Read more Toyota reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Toyota RAV4 Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota RAV4?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota RAV4?

Original review: June 16, 2020

In reading through these reviews of the RAV4, it appears I am one of the lucky ones. I bought a brand new 2010 V6 four wheel drive. Currently at 130,000 trouble free miles. I've always waxed it, which may explain why the paint is flawless. There is some rust on the suspension, but my mechanic says it's normal. I've always greased the front suspension rubber boots with a grease gun needle...so they are fine as well. I have a small weep on the rear main engine seal...but it doesn't lose oil between changes...so I'm living with it per my mechanic's advice. It still has the original water pump, starter, radiator, calipers, rotors. Really, nothing has ever broke or worn out...knock on wood.

I love the power of this car. Fully loaded it will go 80 uphill all day long. Gets around 22 mpg, less if I'm pushing it. I also have a 2004 2wh drive manual Tacoma with 260,000 miles. Same story...though I did replace a starter. Neither has ever broke down on the road. And I have a 1991 Corolla with 370,000 miles. Daily driver. Now on the corolla I've replaced a lot of peripherals, even some rubber gaskets on the front of camshaft, but the engine and manual transmission are original. My mechanic says Toyota stopped making their legendary quality after my RAV4 model year. I'm not sure what to think anymore. All three of my Toyotas run well...as do my children's Toyotas.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

We have had Toyotas for over 14 years. The comfort and reliability have been outstanding. I have recent changed to a RAV4. This car is great on safety features on the highway as around town. The lane changing, blind side protection, cruise on the highway are excellent. This car is very safe and I have had no major issues since I got it. I have a routine inspection every 6 months and always pass with flying colors.

Get buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

My Rav 4 is a 2017. I love the appearance of the car and handling. A couple of issues is that it doesn't have a lot of power (it's a 4 cylinder) and I don't get that great of gas mileage (20 city and about 24 hwy). I would expect better gas mileage. They checked it out and recommended that I use premium gas which is ridiculous. Other than that I have no issues with the car.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

The Rav 4 wasn't exactly what I had in mind, but upon taking for a drive I was sold. My previous car was quite low and wow, what a difference it makes in driving a vehicle that sits up higher. For one, you get a better view of what lies ahead. Another plus is when the heavy rains come, I'm not concerned about going through the flooding and getting my vehicle wet from the bottom. Unfortunately, that did happen to me with my prior car. Lastly, the car sits up higher, but not too high for me to feel when heavy winds come. The interior is roomy enough for me and I absolutely love having the option of larger cargo space that I often need. The exterior is pleasing to the eyes, as well. When the time comes, you bet I'll be looking for this model again.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

Although I think this is a very expensive car oh, more expensive than it needs to be I love it. It handles well, is beautiful, and it's fun to drive. However, rather than integrated navigation I opted for navigation through my phone and Bluetooth their Toyota Scout GPS link app. It is the worst. It loads and reloads and I am not able to use my phone for the first minute or two I'm in the car because it keeps reloading. And it's not even a good GPS system because it frequently loses a signal. So I end up using Waze instead. My two other pet peeves are 1) when you fill the tank it doesn't sell unless you keep topping it off and topping it off, and 2) the passenger front seat sits so high that my passengers sometimes touch the ceiling with their heads. And none of them are very tall so this would not work for someone who was.

Original review: July 7, 2020

To all who will be buying RAV4 2018 in white color! Be careful! This may affect other Toyota cars! I bought this car new. In 2018. Now it has 21000 miles. This car has developed a yellow rust spots behind tire wells and on the fifth door. Now it has 21000 miles and rust spots on the front fenders, side doors, fifth door. Today (7/6/2020) I have visited the Suburban Toyota in Troy (the original dealer I bought this car from) and as I expected service will not accept any responsibility. They have suggested to call National Toyota Call Center.

I did called. Same thing. Blaming the environment. All kind of excuses. Mentioned the dealer, sited with the dealer. At Suburban Toyota Service Manager even told me the story that this spots are normal(!) since Toyota now using a water based paint. So now I am stuck with the car, that in a year or two will lose its entire value.

By the way, while I was at the service department, an another white RAV4 rolled in. I did not hesitated to check this car around: same thing, yellow in the same pattern on the vehicle. 07/06/2020. Oleg, Michigan

Original review: March 8, 2020

Unable to stop 2018 Rav4. I took my vehicle to Toyota dealership in March 2019. I told them the brakes weren't as responsive and it was pulling to one side. They advised they saw nothing wrong. I had my car looked at a week ago and they said the caliper was probably sticking at that time. Anyways, a week ago I completely lost all braking capabilities and my baby was in the car and we almost crashed into a wall. Toyota looked at it and said nothing was covered under warranty (didn't even investigate the caliper) and told me it would be about 1700 total to fix (30,000 miles). I took it to the outside mechanic who indicated there was no brake pad on the left side which is why the rotor had to be replaced. I am so disappointed in toyota. I kept insisting something was wrong and they continued to tell me nothing was wrong. Please get your calipers checked. This could have ended in a fatality. Please insist if you feel something is wrong.

Original review: March 5, 2020

I bought a new 2020 Rav4 in January. There is a defective paint spot on my new car. Both Toyota manufacturing and the dealership failed to detect this problem before release the car to the market. They offer me a repair. The repair has to be done by an auto body shop. Why would anyone wants to take a brand new car to an auto body shop for a repair because of poor Toyota quality & service? Does it make any sense? I write this review to share my unpleasant experience with consumers. Consumers should be aware of this issue when purchasing a new Toyota car.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

Buyer beware. Toyota RAV4 2018. I purchased my RAV4 in the of 2107 brand new. Such an exciting moment, then 9 month later I heard a grinding noise coming from the front brakes off and on when coming to a stop. I brought the car in for the grinding noise to Toyota service dept. I explained what was happening with brakes and they took my car for inspection but they did not find nothing wrong with And said I needed new brake pads and it was normal wear. The car had only 15,000 miles. No reason for brakes to be worn out like that and for it to make any grinding noise.

I told them I was going to file a complaint to Toyota as soon I said that they changed their tune. The service writer said that they looked into any bulletin and confirmed to me that there was a bulletin for brakes from 2008 through 2018 Toyota RAV4. They placed an order for break kit and brought back my car to replace but 3 months later the grinding noise is back and they are not going to fix the problem. I’m now going to file a complaint to Toyota about this on going issue and hope that they can get this fixed once and for all. I do not recommend for anyone to buy this model I owned other Toyota models and never had this problem.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

I have been a Toyota customer for around 13 years now and have owned Toyota Corolla and Toyota Rav4. However, recently my Toyota Rav4 has experienced stereo issues and I have contacted Toyota multiple times. Every time I contact toyota I am assured that the issue will be resolved. However, nobody contacts me back with the resolution for the issue. I am very disappointed with their lack of ownership on issue and poor customer experience. I will never buy toyota again. I bought Toyota Rav4 because of the good customer experience from the sales agent. But 2 years after purchase I have been getting several issues and Toyota's reluctance and pushback on fixing issues has really irritated me. The corporate communication/complaint is just a joke. They do nothing.

Toyota RAV4 Company Information