Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
3.73/5

Toyota RAV4

The Toyota RAV4 was the first compact crossover SUV to come on the market in 1994. Read more Toyota reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

258 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 8, 2019

I have a 2010 Toyota Rav 4 limited. Paint has peeled off entire roof. Started to peel between the wind shield and sunroof, and now the paint is literally blowing off the entire top of my car. There are huge chunks peeling off the side and now now on the has gas cap cover. I have read many reviews with the same problem with Toyota refusing to fix the issue.

Original review: May 4, 2019

Own a white RAV4 and the paint started peeling this winter. Now it's just coming off like crazy! Badly painted by Toyota. They should really do something to fix the problem, but it seems they don't want to take responsibility. I've been a long time Toyota owner and was about to buy a work truck. I guess I'll be looking elsewhere.

Original review: April 9, 2019

In October 2017 I bought a new RAV4. On May 2018 I reported that my car smell like moho and humidity. Also on the paint started to appear a kind of dark spots. Since May 2018 until today, they are more dark spots around my car everywhere. Toyota said it was caused by an acid rain and my car insurance have to pay for it. LOL. January 2019 I had issue with the battery 3 times. Finally they replaced the battery. The issue with the smell still caused me problems and they don’t resolve this yet. I didn’t get warranty for the issue on the paint. Conclusion, I am having a lot of issue with this car in just 18 months that any other car that I had before. I cannot said all Toyota cars are bad, maybe I got the bad one and the real problem is Toyota does not want to respond for that issue and I have to continue paying a high price for something that is cheap. I feel like they stole me.

Original review: March 20, 2019

The ENDtune radio & nav in my 2014 Rav4 started resetting right after the warranty expired. I never had radio issues with my other cars that I previously owned. I now am so disappointed with Toyota products!

Original review: March 20, 2019

We own Toyota RAV4 2009. To say this is old enough-not right issue to deny the problem. The actual peeling started when it was 3 years old, could be earlier but since car was used very rare. One day the whole sheet was gone in one day on the right fender. Dealership said they can do nothing about it. Complaint was set with half price painting job. Now with the years getting in mind that nobody cares all we do is touch-paint when the little chipping starting. And car wash is never with even using a simple hose-only hand wash and very rare.

Next is standing my husband’s car which is surviving well any close applied power wash, not Toyota's piece. In small town under 2K population just next street is living the owner of the same car which has peeling on all parts! They gave up and will drive it till death of the car, and maybe it's one only way to show people how Toyota is taking care of their product. Lies about warranty, lies about only certain year cars made with wrong paint and etc-this is only what I heard from Toyota. No any way to buy another one.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota RAV4?

Original review: March 19, 2019

Much like Honda, Toyota was great but they are now going backwards. Their plastic vehicles are not getting better as newer generations come out but they are getting built faster and cheaper while the price goes up. Would you like to have two catalytic converters fail out of warranty? Then you want a RAV4!

Original review: March 18, 2019

Updated on 04/18/2019: After waiting over a month for the results after a four hour inspection by a Toyota Independent Analysis Engineer, I was expecting a full copy of the test results. Thinking my packet would be listing the equipment used, and info on the readings. Instead, I only received a one page letter from Toyota Legal Claims with a brief paragraph from the four hour inspection. Toyota could not find any evidence of my SUA experiences, and said "bye-bye."

When I asked for a copy of all the reports so I may know of the machine/programs and the methods used to conclude their denial/decision findings - they refused. I am bewildered as to why I am not allowed to receive a copy of the full investigation/inspection of the extensive report. Is this is the response from a major Car Company. Is this the way the Japanese Corporate Division operates and instruct their U.S. division to operate as well? The sporadic SUA still exists with my RAV 4 and I need the problem fixed/replaced as soon as possible, and will try sending my request again.

Original review: 2001 RAV 4 Dangerous Sudden Unintended Acceleration Problems... Owner periodically experienced Sudden RPM Engine Racing Problems usually when stopped at a traffic light or stop sign with foot correctly placed on brake pedal - while engine idling. Back in 2003 or 2005, Owner received a notification card (#SSC601) entitled "A Special Service Campaign" sent by Toyota Motor Co. instructing that his RAV4 ECM unit be "reprogrammed" with new "Logic" (their words) as instructed. Owner had RAV4 serviced as requested, however RPM problem persisted, occasionally emitting Engine Diagnostic Light. Repeated servicing of RAV4, the RPM racing occurrences were mentioned to Toyota Service Center, however tech/mechanics unable to locate problem.

This was the start of increased sporadic shifting and acceleration jerking problems. Either the reprogramming by the Toyota Service Center was intentionally erased preventing the diagnostic codes: P0750, P0753,P0755, P0758, or P1760 as designated for a new ECM and Trans-axle unit from the second notification as described by Toyota in a corporate letter (the owner’s first service notification was sent via a small red card with no mention of transmission trans-axle problem just a "reprogramming" of the ECM).

Owner sent a letter to President Toyoda of Toyota Motor Co. back in February 23, 2010 about recurring check engine diagnostic light. Received a letter from Customer Relations dated March 04 2010 and called Customer Relations, as instructed in the letter and L/M. In the interim, Owner received another notification from the Toyota Motor Company, this time in a detailed two page letter form Entitled ZTL - Certain 2001 through 2003 Model Year RAV4 vehicles which specifically listed owner's VIN # in the header of the letter. An extended 150,000 miles was part of a settlement from another notification letter owner had previously received back in 2010 about a Class Action Lawsuit filed involving owners with RAV4's manufactured in 2001-2003.

When letter was presented about extended warranty to Toyota Service Center and owner's recurring harsh shifting, jerking and reported RPM Sudden Acceleration Problems, with continual reoccurring engine light problem, the service tech reported no service codes that matched the diagnostic codes for a full ECM nor Transmission replacement (Owner doesn't recall getting a Full Diagnostic Report Copy to confirm codes listed from the report). Owner requested ECM Module and Transaxle/Transmission replacement however Toyota Service Center would not do a free replacement and that I would be charged plus labor as well. Note: This was the same Toyota Service Center that the owner initially had the first recall notice about re-programming the ECM with new "logic".

The class action lawsuit letter stated that the warranty on the owner's RAV4 would be extended for 150,000 miles or ten years for a "harsh shift condition" that would only require the ECM to be REPLACED and if needed, replacement of the Automatic Transaxle unit. However, this servicing and replacement would only be implemented with the following specific codes: P0750, P0753,P0755, P0758, or P1760. Owner sent letter to Toyota Motor Co. on August 27, 2010 with receipts from Toyota Service Center regarding engine light problem and recurring RPM engine racing problem. Request for reimbursement was denied in a response letter dated November 1, 2010 from Toyota regarding "not meeting criteria under Csp 01-03 my RAV4 Transaxle Ecm Warranty Enhancement".

RPM problems would reoccur throughout the years, usually at traffic light or at stop sign, while foot was on brake pedal, owner always had control as RPM would rev up, wild-like so fast and very loud, then would usually stop when shifted to P, owner adds, "In February 2018, while finishing transaction at Wells Fargo Bank ATM Drive-Thru, I placed my foot on brake pad and shifted from P to D, and as I lifted my foot from brake pedal the RAV4 RPM accelerated wildly, in a fraction of seconds and this time the engine and the 4 WD traction of my RAV4 began to jerk forward out of the ATM Terminal like a rocket, luckily my quick foot action immediately went back down on my brake pedal and shifted back to D, the RPM was still racing very loud and sounded like it was going 75 mph (which is the sound of my engine when driving with the flow of other vehicles on the freeway.").

In June 2018, owner had transmission fluid and oil changed with new filters, RPM problem seemed to subside- (Owner kept all RAV4 service invoices). A serious occurrence happened in February 2019, while coming to complete stop at congested T/L intersection, owner reports sudden RPM/engine racing wildly causing SUA (Sudden Unintended Acceleration) RPM/Engine jerking forward while owner applies more brake/pedal pressure - force of sudden RPM's fast acceleration with combination of RAV4's 4WD traction/force and foot on brakes still moves RAV into rear end collision. Owner quickly shifts to P-Park.

Damage occurred to front of owners RAV4 and back of SUV in front of RAV4. Police Report filed and owner immediately reported incident to Toyota Motor Company. A case number was filed with the Toyota Motor Company and a third party Engineer/Inspector was dispatched by Toyota Motor Company to examine RAV4 and download EDR and other devices regarding the Sudden Unintended Acceleration with the strange sporadic re-occurring RPM/Shifting problem.

Owner is awaiting response from Toyota to determine cause of mechanical or electrical (ECM) malfunction/problem. Since the RAV4 OD reads 111,240 miles owner believes Toyota should extend "in good faith" the 150,000 extended Warranty and cover all costs incurred to replace defective parts and cover labor and damages incurred due to SUA to his RAV4. The final report will take two to four weeks and then determined by Toyota and their legal department regarding reimbursement and extended warranty determination for service and repairs.

Original review: March 17, 2019

Paint peeled off half the roof (Toyota 2014 RAV-4 Limited). Notified Toyota complaint dept. and received no follow up. Completely disregarding my complaint. Will never do business with them again! Should have been a recall and complete paint do over. Paid $756 to redo the roof and now the doors are starting to peel! Totally ignoring my complaint is terrible business practice. The end of a once great company!

Original review: March 8, 2019

Toyota is one of the most reliable cars that last for many miles without costly repairs or frequent repairs. The resale is also greater on a Toyota. The cars are higher priced but worth the extra cost.

Original review: March 7, 2019

Paint is flying off my car. No scratches just poorly primed. Toyota won’t do a thing about it. I have always owned a Toyota, but they are getting worse and worse. I’m very disappointed. Most likely never buy a Toyota again.

Toyota RAV4 Company Information