4.0/5 (279 ratings)
Shop Now on Rydeshopper
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About Toyota RAV4

The Toyota RAV4 was the first compact crossover SUV to come on the market in 1994. Read more Toyota reviews to learn about other models.

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Toyota RAV4 Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota RAV4?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota RAV4?

Original review: March 8, 2020

Unable to stop 2018 Rav4. I took my vehicle to Toyota dealership in March 2019. I told them the brakes weren't as responsive and it was pulling to one side. They advised they saw nothing wrong. I had my car looked at a week ago and they said the caliper was probably sticking at that time. Anyways, a week ago I completely lost all braking capabilities and my baby was in the car and we almost crashed into a wall. Toyota looked at it and said nothing was covered under warranty (didn't even investigate the caliper) and told me it would be about 1700 total to fix (30,000 miles). I took it to the outside mechanic who indicated there was no brake pad on the left side which is why the rotor had to be replaced. I am so disappointed in toyota. I kept insisting something was wrong and they continued to tell me nothing was wrong. Please get your calipers checked. This could have ended in a fatality. Please insist if you feel something is wrong.

Original review: March 5, 2020

I bought a new 2020 Rav4 in January. There is a defective paint spot on my new car. Both Toyota manufacturing and the dealership failed to detect this problem before release the car to the market. They offer me a repair. The repair has to be done by an auto body shop. Why would anyone wants to take a brand new car to an auto body shop for a repair because of poor Toyota quality & service? Does it make any sense? I write this review to share my unpleasant experience with consumers. Consumers should be aware of this issue when purchasing a new Toyota car.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

Buyer beware. Toyota RAV4 2018. I purchased my RAV4 in the of 2107 brand new. Such an exciting moment, then 9 month later I heard a grinding noise coming from the front brakes off and on when coming to a stop. I brought the car in for the grinding noise to Toyota service dept. I explained what was happening with brakes and they took my car for inspection but they did not find nothing wrong with And said I needed new brake pads and it was normal wear. The car had only 15,000 miles. No reason for brakes to be worn out like that and for it to make any grinding noise.

I told them I was going to file a complaint to Toyota as soon I said that they changed their tune. The service writer said that they looked into any bulletin and confirmed to me that there was a bulletin for brakes from 2008 through 2018 Toyota RAV4. They placed an order for break kit and brought back my car to replace but 3 months later the grinding noise is back and they are not going to fix the problem. I’m now going to file a complaint to Toyota about this on going issue and hope that they can get this fixed once and for all. I do not recommend for anyone to buy this model I owned other Toyota models and never had this problem.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

I have been a Toyota customer for around 13 years now and have owned Toyota Corolla and Toyota Rav4. However, recently my Toyota Rav4 has experienced stereo issues and I have contacted Toyota multiple times. Every time I contact toyota I am assured that the issue will be resolved. However, nobody contacts me back with the resolution for the issue. I am very disappointed with their lack of ownership on issue and poor customer experience. I will never buy toyota again. I bought Toyota Rav4 because of the good customer experience from the sales agent. But 2 years after purchase I have been getting several issues and Toyota's reluctance and pushback on fixing issues has really irritated me. The corporate communication/complaint is just a joke. They do nothing.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2020

I think I’m utterly disappointed in my 2020 RAV4 Hybrid XLE. One, I had to order it and wait for it but now my average mileage is 27.6. I’ve been trying to drive real slow, making sure I am driving the speed limit being as economical as I can trying to get a higher MPG but no go; still at 27.4. The reason I bought this vehicle was because I’m a disabled vet and it was hard for me to get out of my Kia Niro because it’s a little lower to the ground. Because this vehicle, the RAV4 Hybrid XLE had about the same MPG as the Kia, I thought I’d get this instead. What a huge disappointment. If you’re thinking that you’re going to get 38 MPGs, it’s not even close.

Skip this vehicle if you’re only purchasing it for the MPGs because you’re not gonna get anywhere close. Taking it in on Monday to see about maybe returning it because it’s the most disappointing vehicle I’ve ever driven; had it almost 24 days. The KIA Niro is a beautiful car and gets the MPG it advertises; around 46 MPGs. This one DOES NOT! False advertising at its best. I could’ve spent about $7000 less to get the regular RAV4 which gets around 27 to 28 MPG’s. DO NOT BUY IF YOU ARE PURCHASING FOR GAS ECONOMY!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

There’s a lot to love about my RAV4. Rides like a car until you challenge it in snow or rough terrain where it performs beautifully. Plenty of pep. Beautiful sound out of the sound system but, unlike my 2017, difficult to learn and master. Shifter is difficult to move from park to drive. Great looks, lots of compliments.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

We have had Toyotas for over 14 years. The comfort and reliability have been outstanding. I have recent changed to a RAV4. This car is great on safety features on the highway as around town. The lane changing, blind side protection, cruise on the highway are excellent. This car is very safe and I have had no major issues since I got it. I have a routine inspection every 6 months and always pass with flying colors.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

My Rav 4 is a 2017. I love the appearance of the car and handling. A couple of issues is that it doesn't have a lot of power (it's a 4 cylinder) and I don't get that great of gas mileage (20 city and about 24 hwy). I would expect better gas mileage. They checked it out and recommended that I use premium gas which is ridiculous. Other than that I have no issues with the car.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

This is my 4th hybrid. Replaced a Prius V and the Rav 4 is more than adequate replacement. It takes some getting use because of its truck like qualities. Some features are not standard on the XLE. Would take more safety features in lieu of sunroof.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

The Rav 4 wasn't exactly what I had in mind, but upon taking for a drive I was sold. My previous car was quite low and wow, what a difference it makes in driving a vehicle that sits up higher. For one, you get a better view of what lies ahead. Another plus is when the heavy rains come, I'm not concerned about going through the flooding and getting my vehicle wet from the bottom. Unfortunately, that did happen to me with my prior car. Lastly, the car sits up higher, but not too high for me to feel when heavy winds come. The interior is roomy enough for me and I absolutely love having the option of larger cargo space that I often need. The exterior is pleasing to the eyes, as well. When the time comes, you bet I'll be looking for this model again.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

Although I think this is a very expensive car oh, more expensive than it needs to be I love it. It handles well, is beautiful, and it's fun to drive. However, rather than integrated navigation I opted for navigation through my phone and Bluetooth their Toyota Scout GPS link app. It is the worst. It loads and reloads and I am not able to use my phone for the first minute or two I'm in the car because it keeps reloading. And it's not even a good GPS system because it frequently loses a signal. So I end up using Waze instead. My two other pet peeves are 1) when you fill the tank it doesn't sell unless you keep topping it off and topping it off, and 2) the passenger front seat sits so high that my passengers sometimes touch the ceiling with their heads. And none of them are very tall so this would not work for someone who was.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

Quick passing and excellent steering. Original owner and have had no repair problems. Very dependable automobile and a pleasure to drive. Car maintained body integrity, no rust. Very comfortable interior and great space for assorted gear. Excellent full window vision.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

We chose the Rav 4 for its good value and stellar track record on consumer reports. Unfortunately, we experienced a problem with leakage into the passenger floorboards resulting from a design flaw in the sunroof drainage and the dealership refused to cover under the warranty. This frustrating experience prevented me from giving them full stars in a few categories.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

I have owned several Rav4s and have really appreciated not only the style of the vehicle but also the safety features. It is the only SUV I have owned that drives like a car. Repairs have been minimal as well. Toyota Care has been instrumental in maintaining the vehicle and the additional roadside service has been helpful.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

For a smaller SUV the 2019 RAV4 is a fantastic purchase! Tremendous amount of interior room and amazing safety features. Comfortable driver and front passenger seats and more than ample leg room for back seat passengers. Lots of trunk space that comes standard with a cargo cover.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

I chose Toyota because of their reputation of being a well built car that will last a lifetime. They don't have problems, and provide dealerships that give excellent service. I would highly recommend a Toyota product to anyone. This vehicle is my last and that is why I chose Toyota.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

When approaching an intersection I was slowing down and applied the brakes on icy pavement, but the brakes locked up and I slid into the intersection. Fortunately the traffic saw my problem and didn't move. When my front tires got onto the dry pavement I was able to control the car and turned around to avoid hitting a vehicle. I tried everything to stop, but to no avail. When I got home I called Toyota's service department and told them what happened. The man said when the brakes lock there is nothing you can do until the car slows down by itself. I have a 2013 Rav 4 XLE with all-wheel drive. I could have been killed if the traffic was moving when I entered that intersection. I will not get another Toyota unless this problem is fixed.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

Safety features are awesome. Having the choice to silence the ding is great. Can get spoiled easily if you have an older vehicle. But black wheels should be available for all models. Wanted black wheels for my 2019 XLE.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

We love our RAV. Both front and back seats are comfortable. It's quiet. It has a very good amount of cargo space. We also like that it feels high, but not too high. It handles and maneuvers well, and it's fun to drive!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

We purchased a 2009 Rav 4 10 years ago. It has been a great car. No problems or issues. So much so, that we purchased a 2019 Rav4 to replace an older car. Toyota has been great to work with. The service is great.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

I own a Toyota RAV4 2004 .Through the years of ownership this has been the best car ever. It is great in gas. I get about 25 mpg in city driving. Yearly inspection has pretty much been a breeze. Almost no repairs. Above and beyond regular maintenance. So if you have a small budget this is the car for you. I only have 79,000 miles on mine and in time will be buying another one!!!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2019

Bought the 2018 RAV4 brand new. Few weeks later after purchase I notice dashboard rattles. These appear and disappear randomly. The dashboard rattles on the passenger side in the winter and on the driver side in summer. Both, driver and passenger doors also rattle in the summer, but tend to disappear in the winter. I also found that the ignition key is smooth while turning in the winter, but rough in the summer. There is something going on with temperature. I believe that this RAV4 made in Canada wasn't put together well. Maybe the Japanese version would have been trouble free. I still have issues to this day.

Fast forward 1 year and I started getting noises while pumping the brakes. I took the car to the dealership only to a mechanic to tell me that the noise and that everything was normal. I took the car back for a second visit. The service manager test drove with me, heard the noise and acknowledged that it was a problem related to brakes not being properly lubricated at the shims, but believed that if he were to fix it, it would come back in few weeks and that I should just live with it. I got too fed up with the sound and Toyota not wanting to do anything to fix the problem, that I bought a proper jack and parts and went ahead and took apart the brakes and lubricated everything. This fixed the problem and it has not come back. I also hear noises from the steering while while turning. What a lemon this car has been.

Fast forward 6 months and I started to hear a loud knock on the engine whenever I would start the engine after it had cooled down for 5 to 7 hours. The knock would disappear after the engine reached operating temperature. I took the car to the dealership. They troubleshooted the issue and found out that the knock was due to carbon buildup on my valves. Apparently, the carbon issue was due to my city driving. In my commute I have to deal with a lot of traffic. The dealership reportedly cleaned the valves using some top engine cleaner. I no longer hear the engine knock at startup, but I am having other problems now. Ever since I got the car back from the dealership the transmission has been shifting poorly. The car jerks whenever it shifts and the engine Revs are all over the place.

I am not sure if the dealership damaged my transmission or it was a coincidence and the transmission was on its way out like my many problems with the car. I am going to the dealership tomorrow to have them look at the new problem…This was my first Toyota and for sure my last one. I should have stuck with Honda or gone with the Mazda CX-5.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

Toyota 2019 rav4 hybrid. Because of major fuel tank and gas fill up issue that Toyota continues to ignore, I would not recommend anyone purchasing one of these pieces of garbage. Many have filed claims with Toyota and found out it was a waste of time, once they have your money $34,000 dollars you become invisible.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

I have been a Toyota loyal customer since I bought my 2016 Rav4 XLE from Team Toyota Glen Mills PA. Along with the purchase of my car the salesperson convince me to purchase additional Toyota platinum factory warranty for 100K miles till 2024 total of 8 year of factory warranty. Now they refuse to repair or replace my aluminum rims because are corroded due to expiration of the original factory warranty and and they do not honor the Toyota platinum warranty to cover it. What a ripoff, do not buy the Toyota platinum for any price. It's a waste of money. They mislead the customers for the coverage's that they provide. They just want to make sales for their Toyota Dealer.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2019

I got a Toyota RAV4 at Findlay Toyota in Henderson, NV for my wife, 2 years ago. When the car had 12K miles it got a weird sound when she pushed the brakes. The service department said it was just dirt in the brake pads and that it would disappear with time. At 14K miles the sound remained, and the service department insisted it was dirt. At 19K miles the sound still was there and the service department said that was a problem with those cars, but the new ones didn't have the problem and that we have to replace the brakes at our own cost. This is unbelievable, they knew the car had that problem, but they just transfer the solution to the customer. We have to pay for their mistakes.

I called Toyota and spoke with a service manager and she just said there was nothing they could do and that if I was not satisfied I could write a bad review, which means they don't care, they just want your money and once they get it you are not their customer anymore. 30 years ago I lived in Colombia, South America, and I got a Toyota Hilux. The car also had problems with the brake system; when I had to stop real fast, the car started spinning (it made about two 360 degrees circles at 65 miles per hour). The story was the same, the customer service department said they didn't know anything about that problem and that I had to pay to solve it. Three years later that car got a recall due to that problem, and the solution was to replace all the hydraulic hoses for bigger ones, but I already had done that out of my pocket. It seems to me Toyota still needs to learn how to do brake and needs more training for the service department.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2019

Hi, Incident Occurred: 8-28-2019. VIN Number: **. Model: Toyota Rav4 Red color 2014. I purchased the car from Doral Toyota in 2014 and financed car with Toyota. I just made my last payment for the car this month. Details for Incident: I was driving into "Shops at Pembroke" on pines BLVD when my car suddenly stopped. Everything stopped including car/Electrical failure. Doors got locked and somehow I manually was manage to open the door. I saw Smoke coming out at rapid speed from the Fuse Box from the front. I called 911 ASAP. While I was on the call with them the fire increased at rapid speed and burnt the car.

I could have died inside the car and I always service my car at Doral Toyota. You can ask them my service history. I strongly believe this is manufacture Defect which needs to be addressed. I have filled claim with my Insurance Company Also. I am attaching some pictures and video which I had taken and I have more if you ask for it. My Half of the car got Burnt and I was hardly able to get out during the life threatening incident. How should I do deal with this situation or file case against Toyota?

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

Today I was told our RAV4 “condenser” had a crack/hole in it which they’re assuming was caused by a rock flicking up while driving and that it’s NOT covered under warranty... Today is also THREE WEEKS since we picked this car up from the dealership! Ironically I had read about this happening to people in America (I’m in Australia) a few days after picking the car up and was planning on speaking to Toyota about it when getting our bullbar installed (4 weeks post pick up) to see if this was known issue/anyway to prevent it here in Australia or if American models are designed slightly different.

We didn’t want to go installing anything ourselves and then have to take it off to get the bullbar put on so thought surely that won’t happen to me so quickly. I’ll be fine. Well wasn’t I so wrong! So not only is our brand new car damaged and not covered under warranty, they have no idea how long it will take to get the part to fix it being such a new model...

So if any of you value your gorgeous new RAV4s, your cool air conditioning and your money (I’ve been told we will be looking easily over $1000 AUD to fix, that’s just a guess from the dealership without parts/labour quotes), I’d STRONGLY suggest you install something (we are going to look at getting metal security fly screen, cutting it to size and securing it inside the hood somehow as I can’t find anything made in Australia for this) ASAP to prevent this happening! I am devastated and will be contacting every department possible to fight this as I feel this is a massive design fault that could be prevented!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

Bought ‘19 Rav4 Trail Edition (Canada...Adventure model in US). Transfer case clutch started to fail after 3 months... widespread issue in the AWD models, still waiting for Toyota to fix it. A service bulletin was issued for the problem, but Toyota isn’t notifying buyers... you have to keep pestering the dealership to find out what’s going on. Very disappointed in Toyota’s “quality reputation”, as my new Big 3 purchases always gave me more than 3 months major defect-free.

Original review: July 18, 2019

I bought a new Rav 4 in 2008. I had to replace the drive shaft twice in 2013 and 2017. Now it burns a quart of oil per week. The recall for excessive oil consumption has expired so I'm left with a worthless vehicle. Be careful when buying Toyota. They do not help you at all.

Original review: July 17, 2019

In 2009 purchased my 4th Toyota, loyalist since 1981. All previous purchases were great. Lending an average 250K no major problems until this one, 2006 Rav4 2.4L Limited Pearl White. This vehicle has under 120K miles, w/ 4 major problems. Bought auto used at 36K miles. Around 60K the transmission started doing funky things, while feeding gas to travel, it would jerk and stop the feed, scared me silly, kept thinking how lucky I was didn't happen at 65 MPH w/ someone behind me.

Dlr could not make it happen, brought it up 3 times w/ them. Transmission business was able to make it happen. After about 30 minutes of heated up engine from a stop and start ie. stop sign or light, at 20 MPH it would literally stop feeding, let foot off gas, and re feed slowly will get it going again, but very dangerous when in any busy town (102,000 miles). Just out of warranty. Replace the transmission at a tune of 4K Toyota pricing.

Prob. #2. From the 36K miles noticed w/ first 3k miles I needed to add oil, the engine uses oil and Toyota is aware, was notified of problem w/ letter from Toyota after my warranty was up, around 2015. Prob. #3. The steering started knocking and continues to on occasion around 109K mls, while turning the wheel. There's a recall and though the dealer has said they'd get me in it's been over a year since recall and they still (2nd ask of them) have not set my appointment. They only fixed one recall. The belts, but have told me as they get the parts I'm on list to set an appt. Cabin smell, I replaced the air filter for this under the glove box. Now the beautiful white pearl paint is peeling from roof. Can not wash the area w/ water pressure, it was never hit or scratched in this area.

I bought 3 of my 4 Toyotas from this dealer in Muncy, PA. I am done w/ Toyotas. This is a Limited edition. 1st car Corolla from CA State 1981 New, 400K+ miles when last spoke to buyer whom I sold for 2K w/ 245K miles on it, and kept in touch w/ buyer. Next was a Cressida v6, 1994. Great vehicle never any problems. Next was a 1998 Camry v4, I traded the Cressida, no front wheel drive so decided I wanted FWD, and again 245K miles and sold for 2K in 2009. But when I bought this Rav4, financed at 0% for 5 years used through Toyota, paid it off in 2010, thinking no problems, until the transmission occasionally around 60K would do its jerk stop as I am feeding gas going uphill usually long driveway. At 106K miles it started happening all the time. When weather hot it happens a lot.

Am disabled and cannot afford new Transmission. Praise God as he has kept me safe, but do not go anywhere w/ distance. I have borrowed friends' cars to do specialty Doctor visits. Would like to see more reviews based on the transmission problems as I am sure that others have had this same experience other than the 2 I have read about.

I also noticed on your site that all those who have experience the paint peeling process, all have white Rav4s. The other models have been great, but not only am I let down w/ Toyota's hiding the transmission problem, but that the dealer has helped them to hide their problem, and is not acting responsibly w/recall notices. Truly steer clear of the Rav4s w/ 4 cyl 2.4 engines. Even their Matrix used this engine. I have done extensive research to try to find a vehicle that gets 200K miles without any expensive fixes. Because of my disability I have trouble w/ low cars getting in and out, which leaves me w/ much fewer choices than I prefer.

Toyota RAV4 Company Information