2. Automotive
  3. Car Brands

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.04/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Toyota is a Japanese car manufacturer that makes cars, trucks, SUVs and hybrids. This company is not yet accredited. To learn more, see reviews below or submit your own. Want to know more about ConsumerAffairs accredited brands? Check out ConsumerAffairs for Brands. Read reviews for their models:

View More View More

Toyota Reviews

Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

My mother used my car (better mileage) to pick up my daughter and once they came my car was parked in the garage with the door closed. I never questioned to check since my mom usually does this task just fine. I know her memory isn’t as sharp as it was 5 years ago but at age 62 she is showing some decline in memory. Anyway, I luckily needed to put boxes away in the attached garage and that’s when I found my car running with the garage door down with keys inside. It had been running for over an hour.

The only thing that kept me and my kids from suffering was the electric features on this car kept the car from using gas to create CO levels quickly. There was some CO released enough to give me a headache but it could have been a silent killer for my family that night as we weren’t planning on leaving the home for another 30 hours. I was just questioning last week why I still pay my higher car payment on a great mileage vehicle when I work from home but now I know why. I won’t be trading her in anytime soon... it saved me and my kids lives.

Original review: June 8, 2019

I have dealt with the Ganley (formerly Geller) dealership for 40 years. During that time the service department and sales consultants have for the most part been exemplary. I was distraught when my 2013 Scion XD was totaled by a driver running a red light. No one was injured or killed; however, I could barely think straight about a replacement car both with financing and the Scion's unavailability.

Sales consultant, Matt **, was outstanding and empathic about my situation. He is a star when it comes to following through with every detail. Dan **, John, and Mike ** are incredible in Service. All this dealership's mechanics also work on Mercedes as it is a dual dealership - a definite added advantage. Matt advised me that the 2019 CH-R XLE would be a great car for me and take away the sting of my losing my prior car. He was correct. The CH-R XLE has beautiful styling and has so many safety features that my car insurance rates went down. Ganley Toyota is a wonderful dealership and truly represents the Quality of the Toyota brand.

Get expert buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 6, 2019

LC (Prado) seems still a reliable choice. Bought this in Switzerland, but all LC 150 are produced in Japan directly, so quality should be the same worldwide. That is the main reason for its reliability anyway. This facelift is so far (50000 KM) as well built as the predecessors. No problems whatsoever. The facelift overhaul got also rid of some design issues inside, like outdated looks and feel. Still Toyota and most Asian cars look a bit outdated (like 10 years back) inside compared to German cars for e.g., but the Toyota wasn't bought for superior gimmicks but for long lasting performance.

Navigation is good, but a bit slow to pick up when booted. That is the only bad thing I could complain about. Missing functions: Smartphone integration does not have access to external antenna (shark-antenna only used for radio reception it seems) like even 10 year old "premium" Volkswagen/Audi/BMW/Mercedes etc do have. So your device will need to get out of the Faraday-cage inside the car, which deteriorates speech quality and introduced a lot of unnecessary EM-pollution to all passengers/driver easily exceeding exposure limits. This is true for all Toyota cars unfortunately. Also noise cancellation is inferior too...

But this car shines with superior durability and offroad performance. Superior interleaving and 4 wheel drive. Excellent upgrade options. Only Range Rover Defender (useless for daily drive req. though) and G class Mercedes (overpriced) are a match of still produced cars. Engine is 2.8L Diesel with Toyota tuning to 200HP. In Europe Toyota is no longer selling the big LC 200 due to emission constraints.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I can't begin to tell you enough about how awesome this car is. It is fun to drive, easy to maintain, and every single functioning piece of equipment is of the best quality I have ever owned. I have all the Toyota Camry in the past and it was awesome as well. The only thing that this car could not withstand was one time when I was unfortunately stuck up on a block ice and snow that the plows left on the road on an exit ramp in the dark. Somehow when I hit the snowbank a sensor fell off the bumper but it remained dangling inside the bumper for a very long time whilst I tried to figure out why my car was not running right. All I had to do was snap the sensor back in the bumper and my entire vehicle runs like new again. The strange thing was that the misplaced sensor caused my engine to idle rough and not give enough air to the engine.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I received my Toyota Yaris 2007 (sedan) as a Christmas gift while in High school in 2010. At the time it only had 26k miles on it, now it has 185k and shows no signs of giving out. Between high school, college, road trips, and long daily commutes, I have put this car through the wringer! Outside of routine oil changes, I haven’t had to spend much on maintenance. I have had to replace the belts a few times, brakes twice (first shop did it wrong and did not even replace nor check the rear brakes), and now it needs a new wheel bearing. I would say that’s pretty good for such a small car with high mileage. I am now looking for another car because I have a little one and the compact size does not agree with a growing toddler. But I won’t be trading in this car. I’ll be passing it down to my niece. Toyota really does prioritize dependability!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota?

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

Having owned several Toyotas, I considered them to be good reliable vehicles and never had a reason to question the warranty. After 6 months and about 3,000 miles I noted that my rear taillight assembly was lost. At the Sweet Toyota dealership, the body shop manager noted that there was no damage to the taillight and offered that one of the 2 screws attaching it to the body must have been over-torqued on installation. The 2 screws go into a metal clip embedded in the molded plastic taillight unit.

My local dealership offered to split the $180.00 cost for a new unit because Toyota would not consider that as a warranty part. The help line at Toyota told me they would reimburse me up to $100.00 if I sent in a receipt because I was such a good customer. Why was I asked to play these games? Why doesn't the dealer and Toyota handle this without involving me and my money "up front." Please note, this wasn't a light bulb, it was a molded plastic unit similar to a plastic bumper or fender piece. Maybe Toyota should list what items are actually covered under their warranty rather than simply excluding fair wear and tear items like tires and wiper blades. What are the odds that I will consider Toyota for my next new vehicle?

Original review: Jan. 11, 2020

@toyota #toyota Too bad your remote start feature is not working right. I should of never dealt with this company. Now I'm stuck with a brand new 2020 Corolla with no functional remote start. I'm still waiting from Toyota headquarters to call me back! Please rethink your choice of car. Toyota is not the best anymore sad to say. There are a lot of other brand of cars to choose from.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

Purchased a brand new Toyota 4Runner in 2016. At 64000 miles, just over warranty, it experienced a stuck lifter in the cylinder head. Leaked all the oil, and scored the piston walls. No check engine light, no low oil pressure alarm, nothing to signify anything was wrong with the vehicle. Toyota denied the warranty claim and now we are stuck with a 6600 bill to replace the engine. I have always been a toyota fan, have owned them all my life, but I will now be looking at other options. Beware, this could happen to you.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2019

Original owner of 2008 Prius still going strong at 170,000 miles. All original parts. Battery replaced last year by 3rd party. Daily hour commute; with regular maintenance it will last forever! I love my Prius!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2019

As with most Toyota’s bulletproof comes to mind and this vehicle is no exception. Good connectivity in car along with a fairly comfortable ride. Drive range is good considering the weight when fully loaded, I averaged about 850kms for a full 76ltr tank. Great towing capacity at around 2 ton coupled with a deep tray gives you plenty of space. All around great car.

Is your car out of warranty?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right extended auto warranty for you.

Toyota Company Information