2.03/5
Based on 31 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

Toyota

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Sept. 25, 2017

31 Toyota Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

I am a fan of Toyota and recommend people to buy Toyota Cars. I myself bought Toyota cars. I recently was looking for a Toyota Sienna LE and I spoke to Toyota Klamath Falls and they agreed to a price with me and gave me the go-ahead to come to their dealership for a van even I told them that I am coming far from the dealership more than 60 miles they confirmed me that they will sell at the agreed price. When I and a friend of mine reached there, I double checked (even though the car has scratches all over but they agreed to fix that) with them before running of my credit check, the sales guy again confirmed the same price and asked me to sign on certain papers. I did that, but, after some time he came back with a different price which was $400 more than the agreed price and said either buy on this price or leave the dealership which was rude.

I decided not to buy the car on principles I didn't want myself to be tricked on this dirty trick of them. They didn't give us any copies of anything like the documents which I signed and rudely said that they are not giving us anything and leave. We called Toyota customer service but it was not available since it was Sunday. I would not recommend this dealership to anybody and beware of their dirty tricks. The VIN number of the car is **, please beware this car has scratches everywhere.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

It is with deep regret that after being a Toyota customer for numerous years and having owned over 10 of their vehicles that I am finally throwing in the towel and no longer buying their cars/trucks. Nothing but problems with my Highlander and Tundra and the company could care less. The brakes are constantly failing and numerous people I have spoken to are saying the same. It is my feeling that Toyota has become a bit like GM did years back and we all know how that turned out.

Undoubtedly Toyota was once in my opinion the maker of fine cars but with several of the competitors stepping up more and more Toyota has lost their way. My family has purchased over $250,000 worth of Toyotas in the last few years and I would say we are done. No fault of the dealer as they tried to step up but the company did not and does not stand behind their vehicles. I always enjoyed the residual value of a Toyota but cannot in good conscience encourage anyone to now buy a Toyota product.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

Toyota dealer has had my 2016 Tacoma for 9 weeks waiting for components to fix leak in rear Differential that can result in a safety hazard. Though they have provided a 'loaner' (I had to provide credit card), I am limited as to who can drive their 'loaner' and have to keep going and renewing loaner/rental documentation, and calling the dealer and Toyota. Everyone is 'sorry'... but I am paying for a vehicle I have not got, satellite radio I cannot use, and have had some major rearranging to do as far as work and vacation related travel due to this. They cannot give me an ETA (and I know how MFG works, there are schedules) of parts. 9 weeks is WAY TOO LONG to have a vehicle held hostage. I am really frustrated.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I went to my Toyota where I bought the Brand New Car from them. I went back last week and because there were fog or oil in my vent screen and they told me that I have to get a new one but you do have warranty because we are not going to use it because they we don't know if the warranty department is going to pay us or not. But as a business and customer way that is not right to us when we buy car and they tell "You don't worry. You have warranty." Please stop lying to people and do your job what we pay you to do. Please don't buy the car from 1155 Bloomfield Ave, West Caldwell, NJ 07006. They are totally liars, fraud and cheaters.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

I drive a 2011 Toyota Avalon. My alternator went out in Flagstaff, AZ and I had it towed to the dealer. It was a Saturday and I was traveling so they put in a replacement (not Toyota) but it had a lifetime warranty. The alternator went bad within a year. I went to my local dealer - Bob Smith for help. The service manager Brian instructed the service writer Frank to charge $300 for the labor on the replacement. I was charged $155 for labor in Flagstaff and argued this point. I even called another local So Cal Toyota dealer, gave them my VIN # and they quoted $155 as the fee for the labor.

I asked Frank again, he said he can only do what Brian tells him. I said, “Look I've been a loyal customer for 17 years. I know you are expensive but really surprised at the dishonesty.” They finally lowered the fee to $250 but kept insisting that changing an alternator takes 3 hours. I also called Toyota complaint department to file a complaint and was given a case # but no follow up there either. Very disappointed by this transaction.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota?

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

Toyota Canada Inc. Head Office 1 Toyota Place, Toronto ON, M1H 1H9. I have been reluctant since last year to write to you about the horrible service I received from your maintenance people who serviced my 2007 Matrix. It all started with a rhythmic feeling in the right side of the tire area. It was determined that the bearing had to be replaced and it was for $450. The problem was still there and I took it back and was told that it most likely was the left side bearing. Again a senior technician looked at it and told Charlene that it was tire cupping that was causing the problem. As I was at Costco I had brand new front tires ($400) installed.

Absolutely no change in the feeling in front end as well as losing a pair of decent front tires. I felt foolish and taken for a ride at your dealership. I had to go somewhere and I took it to JD auto and they found the problem with the calipers as one of the pistons was seized and was biting into the rotor. Again more cost to me to replace all front breaks because your people did not do their job properly, I am very very reluctant to visit for any more maintenance for fear of not getting proper repairs without fear. Up to the time of these problems with your dealership I had no problems and was very happy with my visits and the friendly receptions. I have had muffler and parts installed since with JD Auto because of my distrust and reluctance to take my vehicle to your dealership. If you look up my maintenance records, you will see that I used you exclusively until last year because of my trust with the maintenance and repairs.

I have since had a telephone conversation with Darrell but he just didn’t understand the ramifications on losing this consumer for new vehicles or maintenance. Since he has only been on his job for 8 months he would not commit to “what can I do for you” with what he could do for me. We left it at that. All the mistakes made at the repairs eventually cost me over 1300 dollars for no reason. Shameful for Toyota. No longer will I be looking for a Toyota product because of this incident.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

I purchased 2015 Toyota Camry LE Hybrid from Toyota AutoNation, Austin, TX. I bought also 5 years protection plan. My car is 29K mileage. I have visited Richardson, TX last Friday and they charged me $88 for service and told me that, I could only go to Austin Toyota AutoNation or PepBoys for service free. Isn't that weird, you are paying additionally $1800 to take care of your car by Toyota and they tell you this. While I was buying this protection plan I don't think so someone mentioned it because I wouldn't buy then, I check all documents and never seen anywhere at all. Please contact me asap. Thanks.

Original review: July 26, 2017

Contacted customer service after a recall of my 2017 Toyota Tacoma was approaching the third month of me being without my new truck (due to the recall). I had to cancel a road/camping trip that I had planned and outfitted my new truck to go on. Also, had to keep going to their rental department to renew their loaner car- time and money spent doing so. Was disappointed and contacted customer service to see what they could do to make it right. Got the complete "chase your own tail" from their customer service. LONG "on hold" wait times, rude and dishonest customer care agents, no help, run around, waste of time. Did nothing to make my experience better. My third new Toyota that I had purchased, and I generally like the product, but I will never buy another vehicle from Toyota purely because of how I was treated and their total lack of customer care.

Original review: July 21, 2017

My daughter's 2012 Yaris that I bought used within 2013 with about 20,000 miles on it for her graduation gift now in 2017 is cutting off while in traffic and drive mode. She has taken it to not one Toyota dealership but about two or three and they all say it's nothing wrong with the car. But it keeps cutting off for about 4 to 5 months. She has to drive about an hour out to her job and I am very scared for her that it may cut while she is in traffic and wouldn't be able to get over... I have made complaints to Toyota main office and they stated no recall was noted for this model. She can't afford to not have a car nor to purchase another one. This is very bad for their brand... I guess I will be working more hours to trade this in for a Honda because Toyota is not the brand I thought they were...

Original review: July 20, 2017

I took Toyota Sequoia in for Takeda Air Bag recall... Left unable to access the back of the car. I asked if they could check the back "trunk" of car since the air conditioning might be leaking. They broke the back handle to open the trunk off and CLAIMED it was missing when I dropped the car off. Funny thing is at 6:30 am when I took a case of water out of the back it was just fine. The service manager, Jason said, "It is an old car, things break". My appointment was at 7 am, it was there and working at 6:30. Strange? I said they broke and need to fix it and he said that he will not, unless of course, I want to pay. They broke it, I am positive. I asked if they had cameras so we could look at the footage (of them breaking it) and conveniently my car was outside, not near any cameras.

I opened a complaint with Toyota Corporate and other than they are lovely to speak with they did not care at all. They are kind and continue to say how sorry they are for this negative experience but claim there is nothing they can do to assist me. I ended up purchasing the part from another Toyota dealer for $129.00. They were unable to install due to their schedule (keep in mind I have been unable to open the trunk for weeks now), so I took it to local repair shop for another $160. My airbag recall cost me! When I told Toyota Corporate numerous times I felt they should cover my cost they said they are sorry but cannot help! Seriously? I told them I have receipts I can give them... nothing. They are like talking to the wall. The dealership (Glen Toyota in Fair Lawn NJ) told Toyota Corporate they offered to install without charging labor, just charging for parts. They did NOT offer this. They offered nothing but rather insisted they did not break it.

Original review: July 15, 2017

Purchased a new Toyota C-HR four weeks ago. The windshield cracked company across, right to left, car is not safe to drive. Replacement windshield is not available for minimum TWO MONTHS. Toyota will do NOTHING to rectify the situation, I now have a new vehicle that I am making payments on and cannot drive for at LEAST 60 days. Toyota has been 100% unwilling to do anything, I also will have to pay my insurance company's 245.00 deductible. Again, Toyota has be completely non-cooperative. Summary: I now own a brand new vehicle which can't be driven for at least two months. This is my third and LAST Toyota purchase.

Original review: July 3, 2017

I recently leased a 2017 Toyota Mirai. I intended on using this as a primary vehicle that I would use for work and for my family. I have 2 kids, 6 and 3 that require a car seat and booster seat. As a loyal Toyota customer, who has owned and leased 13 different Toyota or Lexus's in the past, I was very disappointed to learn about how hard it was to install car seats and access the latches and buckle seat belts when using car seats and boosters. Every Toyota vehicle that I've been in, with the exception of the Mirai has a very easy to access latch system for installing car seats. I love it because this is something parents do not enjoy doing and when we need to do it, we are usually in a hurry.

However, the Mirai, to my surprise is nearly impossible to install car seats. My wife tried for 20 minutes the first attempt and failed with tears in her eyes. In order to install the car seats you need to be strong and cram yourself into the backseat in order to get enough leverage to install the latches. It takes a lot of strength and practice in order to get these in. The second problem is once the booster is installed the seats aren't wide enough and the fixed center counsel is in the way of being able to buckle the seat belt. My 6 year old cannot do it so I have jam my hand in the middle of the booster and the counsel and buckle the seat belt. It usually hurts but I have no choice.

I have been very disappointed dealing with Toyota on this issue. They really DO NOT CARE about this problem. Obviously there is no fix to it so they basically tell me I need to live with it. However, for $536 per month, I spend a lot of money on a car that has a defect. I have begged Toyota for help. They have not offered any reasonable solution. They basically want me to go away and stop complaining but I feel as though, I spend a lot of money to get a car that does not performed the way it should. The design is terrible, this is a safety issue that needs to be addressed because I have to use it and Toyota just wants to keep taking my money while I have to suffer.

Original review: May 26, 2017

Many of us believe that TOYOTA is a best brand and it will run at least for 100000 miles. I also felt the same and bought the car from a dealer earlier in 2013, a 2010 Toyota Camry. Now the miles is around 84000. All of the sudden the engine started to make noise. No rains, no animals, no accident. It started to behave on its own. The check engine light and VSC light started to glow, I am shocked to see this happening. I went to TOYOTA dealer. They said this is a serious problem. A car having trouble in engine within 84000 miles. I was also crazy to hear it.

I called the Toyota Motors. They simply state the engine is out of warranty and they cannot help on this as they can provide only the warranty for 5 Years or 60000 miles. Even though I explained the situation they are not ready to listen anymore and they simply declined the request. With no other options left I have to go back to my Toyota dealer again. Now he me about 6000$. After an hour talk he reduced to 4000$. The part is coming only around 1000$ but the service charge they are asking for 3000$. The problem is with the ignition coil and when I read it in the websites there are chances that the car could have been gone uncontrol and it's a risk factor for anyone to drive. Toyota is not ready to accept this as its fault. I believe they need to value the customers and their safety.

Original review: May 18, 2017

I purchased platinum service for approx. $900. I was not given 2 ignition keys but, rather 3 mechanical ones. I was promised another ignition key but after regular efforts on my part, never got one. I finally lost the one and only key I was given (2 years later, last month). I was given 3 estimates, ranging from $300 to $500, then after my car was towed to the dealership was told it would be $700 plus $200 for second key. Nothing is in the manual stating the extreme consequences of not having 2 keys. In the certified checklist, it only states master key. I feel like an essential part was not included; the second key. I was handed off daily from service dept to sales people resulting in not having my vehicle for 1 1/2 weeks when I gave in and paid up. Very poor customer service and hidden costs of new key.

Original review: April 28, 2017

My 2007 Toyota Camry - 10 years and the car is still going strong! There was two problems with the car, but these were caused by mechanics at the dealership and NOT by the Toyota factory. Another dealership heard my complaints and fixed the car at NO charge to me without any arguing! They even paid for a rental car! Some say Toyota is boring, I guess if you like a car that never breaks down, then I suppose it is boring! The car just keeps driving without problems, oh, how boring is that! The car was bought 50% on a Toyota Loan. I made my payments for the first year until I received some other money and was allowed to pay the remainder of the loan without further interest and/or penalties. It was a very fair and easy plan to follow. Reason for my review; It is important to not confuse the car with the dealership, that is to say, some dealerships are better than others.

Original review: April 24, 2017

I have purchased 3 Toyota vehicles. My last was a 2015 Venza LE. It's a red color. As of 3 weeks ago I notice clear spots on the rooftop on the passenger side and door. It's like the primer didn't settle correctly. I bought the car as new. It's only two yrs. old and only 17,566 miles on it. Brought it to the dealer where I originally bought it and the service manager gave me a "I don't care" attitude.

A week goes by - no answer. Finally I called Toyota care customer service and they got in contact with the dealer. The service manager forgot to file the claim. Wow. I was so upset. That same day Toyota told the dealer that It's not a Toyota defect. I was told by the service manager it's acid rain. It's a new car. I had older cars with no paint problems caused by acid rain. The primer never settled. Toyota doesn't want to fix the problem. I can't believe how they have treated me. I will never buy a Toyota vehicle. I think I might go with a Kia or Mazda.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2017

After purchasing a Toyota certified Venza that as used, I noticed the steering column as shaking making rattling noise in which there are tons of complaints. I contacted the Toyota corporate and they agreed to have it looked at. When they finally found the problem and I was right, they denied me of getting it fixed. They told me to call the Kia dealership in which I purchased. However, why would I have my Toyota certified vehicle fixed at a Kia dealership. Then they told me to buy a warranty. But if the car has a precondition, it won't get fixed anyway. So now I'm out money and instead of their price of 300 I will have to pay 1300. I'm so upset. I was almost in an accident a couple of weeks ago for failure to control my steering wheel.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2017

I bought my wife a 2016 Toyota Highlander AWD Platinum at the end of August. She told me she was having to clean her seats every week because of color transfer onto the leather. Turns out, any color other than white or beige was transferring to the seat. I contacted the dealer. They offered to clean the seats. I told them I needed a better solution than bringing it into constantly be cleaned. I also reminded they that I expressed concerns about the leather color and was reassured of Toyota's high quality. So they offered to have the seats reupholstered for $2000 or to trade it in and pay $3500-$4000 for the same vehicle with a different interior.

At this point I have only had the vehicle for 2200 miles and 3 months. Since I didn't agree to the terms the dealership gave me the Toyota number to call. I called, they asked that I take to a local dealership to be evaluated. The Service Manager said Toyota knows this is a problem and he can't do anything because they won't do anything. He even called Toyota Corporate number and explained that I was the 3rd customer this month with the same issue. The representative then tells us that if it's not deemed a defective then nothing can be done. I asked to speak to someone else. I was told I could write a letter. So at this point I told the representative that I bought a product in good faith and it is unreasonable to have to clean it every week. She then told me she has explained Toyota's position. I told her I wanted to exercise my right to file an arbitration. She said someone would contact me in 3 days.

A person from Toyota contacted me and told me he was going to act as my advocate. I explained my situation and he said he would contact the Toyota Distributor. About a 2 weeks later he calls me back and tells me the Distributor and Toyota's stance is that this is not a defect so no action is required. This Advocate didn't even call the right Distributor, but quickly dismissed me by saying it didn't matter. So I once again said I want to file an arbitration. He told me that Toyota would not find cause for me to file an arbitration.

I told him that was not Toyota's decision to make and that I am entitled to file an arbitration. I wonder if this was the same position they took when people called to complain about their cars accelerating and causing accidents. Toyota's answer to taking care of the customer is simple... Distributor- "pay more money for the same thing." Q` Toyota Corporate- "if it has not been deemed a defect then we don't care." I have owned 5 Toyotas, but this lack of customer care tells me a lot about the current company I am dealing with. Toyota use to take pride in their products, but not anymore.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2016

Dependable, minor repairs, die hard reliability. I won't buy American anytime soon, had those and problems. Went with Toyota, Nissan, Lexus... so damn elated I did. Rock solid reliability and dependability!!! Resale was simple and more money compared to the American counterpart. I'm sold on foreign vehicles. Even when repairs were needed, they were few and far between. The parts were the biggest money suckered, ouch!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2016

Toyota is a strong brand of vehicle. They have had recalls in the past but so has many others. Yet they continue to strive for the better. I have been taken good cared of by the company. For maintenance, you just have to find a good dealership or shop because that is where it can all go south! Which I have encountered recently. It can be bad when you are failed in that way. Parts do not have to always be factory parts for your vehicle to survive which will make it at times easier on the pocket. The overall conclusion is be a safe and careful driver. Don't fully depend on others to tell you if something is wrong with your vehicle. Check it often and you will have a happy vehicle!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2016

I had been driving Toyota Vios 1500CC for 10 years, few repair needed and satisfying performance compare to other car at similar price, allow to be sold in Malaysia. The overall quality of the Toyota Vios is satisfying at this price, just the agent providing the service on behalf Toyota is disappointing, not up to the Toyota quality and no better choice for the situation in Malaysia.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2016

Over 200000k with no major issues, performs very well. The vehicle was purchased new, I have driven for over 200,000k with only brakes needing replacement at 165,000k and that was just rear brakes, the front was still at 50% life. The only other repair has been a water pump due a small leak. The vehicles has exceeded all expectations for performance, gas mileage in southern climates as well as Winnipeg winters.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2016

VENZA has engine vibration between 1800 and 2000 RPM. Dealer could not identify where the noise came from and why the vibration occurred between 1800 and 2000 RPM. It has also L shape crack on the front windshield. The crack is inside between top and bottom glasses. It could be caused by the glass defect.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2016

I've had it for over two years and never had any problems with it. Great gas mileage, tinted rearview mirror so the person's lights driving behind you don't blind you. Very spacious for 4 people.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2016

It's a 2012, and I've had it since then. It has never given me any problems outside of maintaining the normal course of use. It's reliable and uses regular gas which is a great savings! Great car. It's a good car for a woman or a single owner who will not be rough or abuse it. If handled well and maintained regularly, it will perform well and never let you down. I feel safe when I'm driving it.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2016

With good maintenance it never gives you a problem. I've owned Toyota's since 1970. The first one I put over 300,00 mi. on it. Never had a problem. Husband owned different USA cars/trucks. They stayed in the shop. Now we each have Toyota's. Good care equals no problem!!!!

Original review: Oct. 27, 2016

I would like to know if anyone had a ticking or clinging sound, but didn't know from where. I thought maybe I had a nail on my tire so was gonna get it checked out but didn't have a chance to due to my car breaking down and notice that day the noise got louder that day. Well my car started to jerk and smoke from my engine and completely shut down while I was entering the hi-way.

Well Toyota is where I maintenance my vehicle and not once did they ever tell me if anything was wrong with my car. I have had my engine light and my maintenance light on, I took it to Auto Zone. First they had told me that it was my battery and starter. So I replaced my battery first but notice that my engine light and maintenance light will go off and on. I thought it was just the starter since It hadn't been replaced with a new one. I also notice that it sounded like the piston were working too hard... Something just didn't sound right. My husband notice that the dip stick showed no oil. So I went to PEP BOYS and did a oil change since it was just around the corner.

Then the next day or two it sounded like I had no oil and showed low again, so they redid oil changed again with no cost. After that I recall taking my car to Toyota to do another oil change not too long after that. It's been almost a year since this happened with my lights and oil. Now Toyota is saying that noise that I was hearing was that something came loose inside the engine. I don't believe that for one bit. I believe it was a knocking in the engine due to not having enough oil. My oil change was supposed to be coming up at the end of November.

My vehicle has been broken down for about 2 weeks or more and Toyota does not want to fix it. If something came apart in my engine I will call that a defect on their end. I'm not an expert of knowing if something is wrong with my car... I would think that they'll be the ones to let me know since I maintenance my vehicle with them. I will never buy another vehicle through them!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2016

We bought our Toyota Yaris brand new in 2008. After one year, the paint on the roof began to peel. At first it was just a small bubble of paint. But over the past few years, the peeling has spread to our entire roof. We asked the dealership about it and were told that it was our problem, that we would need to pay for a paint job. We couldn't figure out what was causing it. But we took the dealership at their word. Recently, we've noticed other Yaris' with the same issue. Most of them have been blue, just like ours. All of the peeling paint has been on the roof. We just saw one today that's red. We talked with one of the owners and she showed us where the peeling paint had moved down toward the driver's side door. Toyota needs to do a recall for a free paint job. The resale value of the car is diminished by the slip-shot paint job.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2016

I own a 2008 Toyota Sequoia and my GPS system stopped working while driving it. Dealership states there is nothing they can do as well as Toyota Corporate. Their solution: Replace unit at a tune of $2K. No diagnosing of what the problem could be, they don't have personnel to do this, etc. Toyota Corporate did offer to pay half of replacement though. I'm ecstatic! Like hell. Why should I replace a navigation system at $1K, when I don't know what the problem is. Love my Sequoia and planned to purchase another when and if the body style changes. Scratch that! Toyota will not be getting my business again.

Original review: July 22, 2016

Called Toyota today. Had a problem with the 2009 Toyota Corolla with their power steering. They claimed that only a service manual was sent out back in 2010. But where they LIED is the fact there is a class action law suit that was just settled on April 4th 2016 saying that we were entitled to a 50% refund for the amount paid on the fix... Instead they LIED and said that there was no other information and when I brought up the suit he said well since its not listed on his end there was nothing he could do... Useless isn't even the word to describe Toyota Customer Service. What a Joke.

Toyota Company Information