Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes
3.61/5

Toyota

Toyota is a Japanese car manufacturer that makes cars, trucks, SUVs and hybrids. Read reviews for their models:

View More View More

Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

113 Toyota Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 24, 2019

Purchased my Tundra new in 2002. I cared for this truck inside and out except when it came to my rusted and unsafe frame. My truck is in excellent mechanical condition and I get a lot of compliments on its appearance. Everything works great with 107,000 miles logged. My mechanic says he probably will not be able to pass the truck for inspection within a year or so. His advise, get rid of it and trade it in. I usually like to sell my trucks outright but he says that I will create a bad situation to sell it to a friend or a private party.

So, I have driven Toyota cars all my life and I really take care of them. There is nothing wrong with this truck! Because of the safety issue I will need to trade my vehicle (while I still can) on years before I should need to. Toyota claims there is nothing they can do and it's my problem. Bottom line, I will never purchase or lease another Toyota vehicle and will let my children, friends and others know. Bad customer service! Toyota has lost a customer(s) for life. Penny wise and dollar foolish.

Original review: April 22, 2019

Unfortunately a header cracked in our Highlanders engine and caused the entire engine to blow at less than 84,000 miles. As the mechanic at the Toyota dealership put it, "This shouldn't have happened." After contacting the Customer Experience Department I was told that financial assistance in these situations is based upon customer loyalty and service records. We own a second Toyota that was purchased at a Toyota dealership a few years prior to our Highlander.

Additionally, I offered to provide my service records but the Customer Experience Department already decided they weren't going to help us recover any of the loss. The cost to replace the engine was $7,500. Toyota could have easily offered to pay $2,000 of the cost and kept me as a customer but apparently making intelligent business decisions is not a top priority for the Customer Experience Department. In total I gave Toyota over $60,000 for two automobiles in the last 7 years. My wife and I are in our 30's which means we will probably purchase another 10 cars in our lifetime. If half of those were Toyota's at an average cost of $30,000, that is $150,000 in revenue they just gave up because they refuse to assist a loyal customer. Congratulations Toyota, I will never buy another one of your automobiles again! You have officially lost me as a customer for life.

Get expert buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 11, 2019

I placed a complaint regarding a warranty on my 2019 Tundra. After 3000 miles rotors had to be grinded. Have place multiple calls to case manager. Toyota system rigged up to when they call you they only leave a message and you are not ever able to talk to them. Have asked to talk to supervisors. No luck. I get better service at Joe's Service station.. Totally sucks that company this large not able to address problems. Been on phone for over 4 hours total. TOTALLY SUCKS. WILL BE A SERIOUS CONSIDERATION FOR NEXT TRUCK. ** TOYOTA!!!!

Original review: April 9, 2019

Ever since I bought my new 2018 Toyota Highlander last August I’ve been accumulating an unreasonable amount of paint chips. I ordered Toyota’s touchup paint after my first service visit however, it was too cold to apply at the time. Since then I’ve accumulated over seventy paint chips mostly on the front of my car. The chipping is only on the metal parts not any of the plastic parts. I took my car to the Toyota dealer with my concerns and their Service Manager told me to call corporate Toyota. My Case Manager there opened a case and then told me to call the Toyota dealer for further instructions. I called their Service Manager and was told to take my car to a body shop and get an estimate. I took it to the closest body shop and they said it appeared the paint was applied “soft” then he gave me an estimate.

A couple days later my Toyota Case Manager called again and told me the Dealer should’ve sent me to a specific auto body shop because they needed paint tests done. She sent me to a Toyota certified body shop where the owner took my car into their shop and looked it over. He then walked me over to another Highlander that had 52,000 miles to compare, there weren’t any paint chips on it. The shop owner told me there is an “excessive amount of paint chips for a car of my age and mileage”.

Long story short my Toyota Case Manager called and said there is nothing they can do for me because all the paint tests were within a normal range. My car was purchased in August of 2018 and is only 7 months old and already needs a new paint job. The paint chips started when I bought the car and every day I drive it I accumulate even more paint chips. I now have a seven month old car that already need a new paint job. Despite two separate body shops saying this is not normal Toyota says it is normal and refuses to do anything about it.

Original review: April 3, 2019

Honestly I am not very satisfied with the change of vehicle I made since the car for which I made the change was in perfect condition - a Corolla of 2014 with only 21000 miles to get the new RAV4 Limited of 2019 and not even have a month and already have to change the differential sincerely and I'm not very happy with this new SUV. Would have preferred to stay with my Corolla in the end. Did not give me problems all the time I was driving

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota?

Original review: March 22, 2019

I have owned 5 different Toyotas for over 20 years and can not believe what corporate told me about my 2018 automatic transmission problem. Because I live in Wisconsin we can have problems with tires spinning on snowy days. Toyota said that because my car's front tires spun and the back tires did not move that the broken transmission was my fault. It has less than 25000 miles and should have been covered under their bumper to bumper warranty. They say they will pay for the transmission BUT I must pay for the labor cost of over $800. All sounds fishy to me. On top of it Toyota corporate says that if the same conditions occur in the future I should call for a tow and not spin tires at all!

They say they will deny any future claim, under the same circumstances, as they are this one. They, also, could not (or would not?) tell me what part of the transmission is broken. I plan on going on social media to warn any potential owners of 2018 and beyond Toyota autos with automatic transmission, if you live in cold climates please think twice about buying one of their cars. It could be a crap shoot for you!

Original review: March 19, 2019

Great car! But Toyota does not manufacture the this model. If Toyota did, I would buy another one. The MR2 is fantastic, mine is 15 yrs old. The car is a convertible, manual transmission, 2 seater.

Original review: March 19, 2019

Toyota had a recall on the passenger airbag of some of their vehicles. My Toyota Corolla was one of them. I was to take my Toyota to my nearest Toyota dealer for an airbag replacement. I did so promptly. The issue is that I had to travel 280 km (return) as well as take 4 hours out of my day. I believe that I should be compensated for my time and mileage because it was not my fault that the air bag was faulty. I have contacted Toyota's customer service department but they have refused any compensation whatsoever. I do believe this is totally unfair and I am more than disappointed. I used to hear nothing but great things about Toyota's customer service but I have now had two unsatisfactory incidents with Toyota, neither of which was my doing. I must say, I was very pleased with the customer service that I received from the installer of the airbag, the Toyota Northwest Edmonton dealer.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I purchased a 2018 Toyota Highlander Ltd Platinum from Classic Toyota in Tyler Texas. My Toyota purchased was based on commercial and current owner reviews. Other than the “color transfer” issue (dyes from my years old and routinely washed scrubs and jeans coming off on the leather seats), I’ve been relatively happy with the car. The thing that has driven me crazy are the electronics. I came from a BMW, that was too small and uncomfortable, but drove great and I guess I got spoiled by their electronics. I could have 2 phones connected and receive calls on either of them on Bluetooth. Not on the Highlander (JBL GreenEdge). It takes 5 or 6 button pushes (while I’m driving!) to change from one paired phone to another. It also occasionally just drops the phone in the middle of a call and I have to reconnect.

The weather app also is rudimentary, at best. It never gives me the weather for the area I’m in. If I’m in downtown Dallas, it gives me the weather for Terrell, TX (40 miles away, a 10th the size of Dallas, and a town I’ve never looked up on my weather app)!!! I called Entune (a cumbersome worthless app IMHO) support. She was very pleasant, but completely useless. She looked at the manual. I read the manual! I needed more! Apparently Toyota doesn’t offer more than a crappy inefficient app, bad connectivity, and a GPS (for the weather) that hopefully doesn’t have to ever locate you in case of an accident!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

White Pearl Paint peeling off vehicle in sheets. Due to factory faulty issues with primer that was used. Lots of people are having this issue with that. And sadly Toyota is not willing to admit to the factory problem with the primer. Never again.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

Brought my Toyota Prius plug in premium in for 6 mo. ToyotaCare. Told it would be ready at noon, it's now after 3 and still not ready. I'm 90 and disabled. Need to go to CVS for RX, Called 3 times. Just told they would call when car is ready. ALWAYS POOR SERVICE FROM HANLEES SERVICE DEPT. Don't even answer their phone at times.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I can't begin to tell you enough about how awesome this car is. It is fun to drive, easy to maintain, and every single functioning piece of equipment is of the best quality I have ever owned. I have all the Toyota Camry in the past and it was awesome as well. The only thing that this car could not withstand was one time when I was unfortunately stuck up on a block ice and snow that the plows left on the road on an exit ramp in the dark. Somehow when I hit the snowbank a sensor fell off the bumper but it remained dangling inside the bumper for a very long time whilst I tried to figure out why my car was not running right. All I had to do was snap the sensor back in the bumper and my entire vehicle runs like new again. The strange thing was that the misplaced sensor caused my engine to idle rough and not give enough air to the engine.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I received my Toyota Yaris 2007 (sedan) as a Christmas gift while in High school in 2010. At the time it only had 26k miles on it, now it has 185k and shows no signs of giving out. Between high school, college, road trips, and long daily commutes, I have put this car through the wringer! Outside of routine oil changes, I haven’t had to spend much on maintenance. I have had to replace the belts a few times, brakes twice (first shop did it wrong and did not even replace nor check the rear brakes), and now it needs a new wheel bearing. I would say that’s pretty good for such a small car with high mileage. I am now looking for another car because I have a little one and the compact size does not agree with a growing toddler. But I won’t be trading in this car. I’ll be passing it down to my niece. Toyota really does prioritize dependability!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

My complaint: The issue of tan color leather seats and dye transferring. Toyota being aware of the issue and not standing behind their product. I recently purchased a 2016 Toyota Avalon. At the time of purchase I purchase the extended. During the first two weeks I noticed that the tan leather seats were changing colors. On the seat and up by the shoulders and in the driver's seat were dark. I reached out to customer service Nationally and locally for assistance on this issue. I was informed that this is what Toyota call transferring. Which means that the dye from the clothing that I was wearing was transferring onto the leather seats.

I was contacted by the local service manager at Sunnyside Toyota who informed me that they would do a one-time courtesy cleaning of the leather seats. She informed me this is not a Toyota issue. It was the clothing industry issue. I explain that the leather had not been treated properly because dye should not be transferring that easily to this leather and I wanted to bring the car back. Her reply was, "Cars are not like an item you purchase at Target. You can't just return it." She suggested that I trade in the car or I could possibly buy seat covers. Seat covers to cover the leather seats in my car... When I asked if they, the dealership, carry the seat covers she suggested I buy them aftermarket but I needed to be sure that I purchased seat covers that allowed for the airbags in my car. My issue with this whole matter is if your company is aware of this issue why haven't they did anything to correct or resolve the matter.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

So, I brought a brand new Toyota Highlander 2017 in Louisiana. About half a year later, my family and I moved to Indiana. That when we start to go to local dealership to get our car check for every 5,000 miles. After about the fifth time we go there, they told us that the nitrogen metal valve stem caps have melted or got stuck in the tire so they can't get the tire pressure reading. They told us that we have to pay $600 to get THREE of them fixed. But that is just straight up dumb, the warranty should have paid for it.

We have a 3 year warranty on the car. But, they were just repeating themselves and not offering any help. They were saying how Toyota doesn't put metal valve stem caps in their cars and they put plastic caps so it don't cease. They told us that we have to call the dealership that we brought it from to tell them about it and what to do. Well, we called the dealership and they said that they do put metal valve stem caps, but it is insulated so it don't get stuck in the tire. Pretty much both dealerships were being jerks and not admitting whose fault it is and making us pay $600 while it was clearly one of them's fault. It was a terrible experience.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

When The air is turned on I hear a very high pitched noise that comes from the blower motors of the car. I took it to go get looked at and another car on the lot was making the same noise so they said it is just a noise that the car makes. I wish I would have heard the noise before I bought the car. Now I’m stuck with it.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Horrible customer service. This is the worst Toyota site to come to. No one offered us a chair. We have been standing here looking stupid for more than 20 mins. All the workers are sitting down at their computers doing absolutely “NOTHING”!!!! I’ve watched a woman back up out of a space and hit a Mercedes twice and none of the workers went to help direct her out of the space. The one guy that walked up and pretended to be helpful and told me where we should park never came back to help us. I will never be coming back here. With his ** looking like looking & talking like Carlton from Fresh Prince of Bel Air THIS PLACE SUCKS!!!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I bought a used 2006 Toyota RAV 4 for 1200 dollars. The miles were already getting up there but I could tell by the look of the car the previous owner had taken care of it. I have 4 kids who take every red cent to raise and this car was within my budget. But I thought if I got a year out of it to beat back and forth to work then it would serve its purpose. It would be a 1200 well spent. I'd love to say that when I bought this car I took care of it just like the previous owner, but that would be a lie. I beat the car to hell, I didn't change the oil once in 4 years, not a filter or spark plug. I did nothing for this car the entire time I owned it except replace tires to pass inspection, replace wheel bearings, and put gas in it.

This year I took it to be inspected and there is rust on the gas tank and other places and repairs would cost about 1000 dollars. I can't see spending 1000 dollars on a car that basically cost me as much. And there are over 375,000 miles on the thing now. But the engine is still going and the problems are all outside of it. I would love to see if I could hit half a million with this car and I think I probably could. It's a beast. And one of the best cars I have ever owned. Honestly I treated it so badly I don't know how it's still running. But it is. Best car I have ever owned. Sadly I will be looking for a new beater for work as I can't doing the repairs makes any sense. But I would recommend this car to anyone.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I bought a Toyota Sienna 2015. I drove only 15k in 35 month. Found 3rd row both seats handle cracking. I took it to Dealership in High Point North Carolina. Dealer said cracked handle is not defect. Cracked handle not cover in 36000 miles warranty, I called Toyota they said same thing. This is my last Toyota. I am very disappointed with Toyota.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I purchased new from Walker Toyota Alexandria, LA. When I reported the driver's seat squeaking with every bump in the road with less than 25,000 miles I was told they only repair it if it breaks! So I have new car with squeaky seat! Very disappointed with Toyota service.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

From the time we walked on to that lot was a nightmare. I should have turned around. First off, while making a deal for a trading my vehicle they kept my car key. I asked several times for my key back so I could leave. Not sure if they thought this was a tactic. Rest assure it was not. After about 1.5 hours of waiting (they would keep going back to GET MY KEY) and coming back empty handed we finally agreed to some numbers and went through with the trade/sale. We paid $2,600 for an extended PLATINUM TOYOTA warranty that was to EXTEND the warranty 100,000 miles. Once we were done, we were about to leave and we asked for the pre-certified paperwork. They tried to tell me that it was pre-certified. I looked at the windshield-huge sign that said-PRE-CERTIFIED. It was well under the mileage and the year was 2014. We had to fight to get that paperwork.

Then they had to have ME bring the vehicle back to THEIR lot a week and a half later to COMPLETE the pre-certification inspection. THEY NEVER DID A PRE-CERTIFIED INSPECTION? On top of that, took the vehicle in about 1 year later due to the fan on the AC going out. The guy told me that it was almost out of warranty. Are you kidding me? We paid $2,600 for an extra 100,000 miles and I sure as hell know that we did not get even close to the original 100,000 miles.

Later that week my husband called to talk to them. He got the runaround (I am sure most of you know exactly what I am talking about here). Sooo, he went to the car lot. He was able to talk with the RODNEY **-SALES AIDA **-CUSTOMER RELATIONS MANAGER and the finance guy and he told my husband that he was sorry that he made a mistake on the information he gave us that day! What??? So he and my husband called to Toyota finance office and the lady said "Yeah this is suppose to have an extended (EXTENDED) warranty." The finance guy told my husband that he will email the information to him that day.

About an hour after my husband got home he still did not have an email with that EXTENDED warranty. So he called the finance guy. He was told "Oh, I am sorry I can not honor that extended warranty". Are you ** kidding me??? Then we called to cancel the extended warranty and were told well since you have used 3/4 of the warranty you will be prorated at 1/4 of the $2,600 we paid for it. WTF Explain this to me... and I am a blonde but am smart enough to know we do NOT need to warranty 100,00 miles we ALREADY have warrantied. Why in the HELL would we pay $2,600 for 100,000 mile warranty when we have the FACTORY 100,000 mile warranty? We would NOT do that. We were to have an EXTENDED warranty. Do they even know the definition of EXTENDED?

Hell no, they do not know crap. I will never step foot back on their lot or any lot they are associated with. They purposely lied and deceived us, the finance guy admitted it. But still got screwed. The least they could have done was given us the $$2,600 we paid for a warranty that we ALREADY ** had. WARNING---STAY AWAY FROM FAYETTEVILLE AUTO PARK--- I will tell you who to go see..the guys at McLarty Daniels. My son and husband bought trucks from them within 3 months of each other. Amazing people! One made a mistake...owned up to it...and corrected it!!! They have *****5 STARS***** from me!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I am writing regarding my concern about a technical service bulletin that I recently became aware of. My husband and I keep all documentation from our cars and mailings that we receive and to be honest we do not have anything in our files that Toyota sent us regarding the oil consumption problem. I have a 2009 Matrix that I purchased at the end of July 2008. Recently I have had to put between 2-4 quarts of oil into my car in between oil changes. Recently when I had my car at my mechanic he was the one who mentioned this issue to me so I contacted the dealership in North Attleboro where I purchased the car 10 years ago. The person that I spoke with told me to come in and they could start an oil consumption test and if they found anything he mentioned they would replace the pistons and look to see what else needed to be done.

Today when I brought my car in I was informed that I was no longer eligible and would have had to had this completed by the end of July since that is 10 years from when I purchased my car or 150K miles whichever came first. I am currently at 128,000 miles. I am very frustrated that they have extended this program but have no flexibility in helping a customer when it happens a couple months after they are out of the 10 year period. As mentioned I am still under the mileage.

I called the customer care line today and spoke with a woman who could only read me verbatim what I already knew and could not offer any other resolutions. I am saddened that Toyota does not stand behind their products with known issues when they happen outside of a certain time period. I will be submitting something to the BBB to and the reference number for the contact I have had with Toyota is **. I would hope that others who have this same issue are offered a solution. At this time I know that my solution is you will have likely lost at least 3 households who have been loyal to Toyota in the past.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

My car tire blew out. I spoke to service they have no records of extended tire warranty. I purchased a 5 year extended warranty. So I have to get it verified with finance dept. No ONE in the finance picks up and can’t get anyone on phone to help. There are no branch managers or assistant managers past 5 pm. So ridiculous how you are open and no manager. Stuck on side of road with flat tire and can’t get Toyota to help me. Extended warranty for what? To waste money and not get any service when needed.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I purchased a new vehicle from Toyota last year. The vehicle came with one bad tire. Getting that one tire replaced was a complete nightmare. Since that FINALLY happened, after much drama, I still have to deal with service. Again, a horrible experience on all counts. NEVER again will I buy a Toyota vehicle. Dealing with this company is like dealing with children or used car salesmen all day, every day. The dealerships do whatever they want and Toyota throws their hands up and says they can do nothing. Wouldn't recommend buying a Toyota folks!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I purchased my car here at the Toyota dealership on Thornton Road in April 2018 and ever since I purchased this particular car the check engine light has been on. I have taken the car to the Volkswagen dealership at the Toyota dealership where I purchased the car here over five times to get serviced and after weeks of them keeping the car nothing has worked or been rectified. The check engine light is still on and I have not been treated fairly as a consumer. I have been sold a lemon and their cars here are not reliable. It scares me to know that I invested money hard earned cash money to this company and they disrespected me by selling me a car that is not reliable.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

White marks coming back after three-four weeks, even though dealer wipe with spray. It's just start after 1000 km, not happy with answer. Says it is external problem not cover??? (On website says 60000 km full warranty about manufacturing.)

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I have owned two Toyota Camrys (1999 & 2005). The 1999 was a V6. I don't need to be specific other than to say, if you want drive a car that can easily last more than 200,000 without the expensive repairs, this is the brand to consider. Toyota should definitely earn the "Most Reliable Japanese Car" award. Look around when you're driving. What do you see most? Toyotas, BMWs, Hondas, etc. I don't remember any rental car companies that use Toyotas, which means every Toyota you see on the road are either owned or leased, and not rented. (I might be wrong, btw.) So, something for you to consider the next time you're in the market to buy cars.

Tip to all the Toyota owners: If your "mechanic" tells you something is bad and your has less than 75,000 miles, he is lying to you. I have brought my Toyotas to many local shops (to save money from dealerships' exaggerated cost for repairs) and they have suggested to replace the water pump, the radiator, this or that. I was wary and skeptical with their scare tactic approach, so I didn't fix it at that time. Now, 7 years later and with 127,000 miles, it's still running smoothly. Of course, you still have your routine maintenance that needs to be replaced every few years (air filter, tires, batteries, etc).

One mechanic told me, "A Toyota with less than 100,000 is still considered almost new. You just have to make sure to change your oil every three to four thousand miles and tune up your car every now and then." These are his words, not mine. My owner manual states every 5000 miles for each oil change, but I think that also depends on how you drive it and how frequent it is driven. You can save a lot of $$$ if you buy it used.

Bottom line is, if you want a car for the long-haul of saving money for many years to come, you should definitely consider buying a Toyota. Now, sometimes I wonder why Toyota owners even own Toyotas. I know I drive it because this car was handed down to me and I'm just waiting for it to break down. I mean, let's face it: Tundra drivers don't drive it to haul stuff. (There are many other stronger trucks.) You can't show off your social status with an Avalon. (Again, there are way more other choices.) You can't pick up girls with Camrys. (Not sporty enough to be a sport car and not luxury enough to be a high-class car.) A Corolla is good for what? Prius are well-known for their electric cars, which have been in high demand this past decade. In my opinion, I think you will want to get rid of your Toyota before it will stop working on you.

Original review: July 19, 2018

I have been very happy with my Yaris and plan to keep driving it as long as possible. It has been reliable and has met my needs. I believe it was an excellent value. It is very fuel efficient and was economical compared to other cars or SUVs. I have been able to put a lot of miles on it with few repairs. However, it does not handle well in snow and ice. It doesn't have power windows or a key fob. It doesn't have cruise control and there is a lot of road noise. I also don't have Bluetooth or an auxiliary audio jack. Nevertheless, I like that it is small and easy to park and turn. I like that is a make of car with a good reputation.

Original review: July 12, 2018

I love my Toyota. It is a very good car and was the best one I've had so far. My family loved it as well. I will always stand by a Toyota. I am going to be looking for another one soon. I would like to improve its safety but the drive was amazing. Very smooth and never had any problems with it.

Original review: July 11, 2018

I am very very happy with my experience with the 2012 Toyota Kia. Since I had it it's been my daily driver and barely have had any issues with it, it's very good on gas, and has a camera on the mirror when backing out of a parking spot. I like that it has good gas mileage, not too expensive to fix if something happens to car, easy driver, had benefits for my children, and just a very great car in general. One of the best vehicles I have had to be honest. But it messes up more than any other vehicle I had in the past.

Toyota Company Information