Toyota

Compare Car Brands

Research top Car Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Many of us believe that TOYOTA is a best brand and it will run at least for 100000 miles. I also felt the same and bought the car from a dealer earlier in 2013, a 2010 Toyota Camry. Now the miles is around 84000. All of the sudden the engine started to make noise. No rains, no animals, no accident. It started to behave on its own. The check engine light and VSC light started to glow, I am shocked to see this happening. I went to TOYOTA dealer. They said this is a serious problem. A car having trouble in engine within 84000 miles. I was also crazy to hear it.

I called the Toyota Motors. They simply state the engine is out of warranty and they cannot help on this as they can provide only the warranty for 5 Years or 60000 miles. Even though I explained the situation they are not ready to listen anymore and they simply declined the request. With no other options left I have to go back to my Toyota dealer again. Now he me about 6000$. After an hour talk he reduced to 4000$. The part is coming only around 1000$ but the service charge they are asking for 3000$. The problem is with the ignition coil and when I read it in the websites there are chances that the car could have been gone uncontrol and it's a risk factor for anyone to drive. Toyota is not ready to accept this as its fault. I believe they need to value the customers and their safety.

I purchased platinum service for approx. $900. I was not given 2 ignition keys but, rather 3 mechanical ones. I was promised another ignition key but after regular efforts on my part, never got one. I finally lost the one and only key I was given (2 years later, last month). I was given 3 estimates, ranging from $300 to $500, then after my car was towed to the dealership was told it would be $700 plus $200 for second key. Nothing is in the manual stating the extreme consequences of not having 2 keys. In the certified checklist, it only states master key. I feel like an essential part was not included; the second key. I was handed off daily from service dept to sales people resulting in not having my vehicle for 1 1/2 weeks when I gave in and paid up. Very poor customer service and hidden costs of new key.

My 2007 Toyota Camry - 10 years and the car is still going strong! There was two problems with the car, but these were caused by mechanics at the dealership and NOT by the Toyota factory. Another dealership heard my complaints and fixed the car at NO charge to me without any arguing! They even paid for a rental car! Some say Toyota is boring, I guess if you like a car that never breaks down, then I suppose it is boring! The car just keeps driving without problems, oh, how boring is that! The car was bought 50% on a Toyota Loan. I made my payments for the first year until I received some other money and was allowed to pay the remainder of the loan without further interest and/or penalties. It was a very fair and easy plan to follow. Reason for my review; It is important to not confuse the car with the dealership, that is to say, some dealerships are better than others.

I have purchased 3 Toyota vehicles. My last was a 2015 Venza LE. It's a red color. As of 3 weeks ago I notice clear spots on the rooftop on the passenger side and door. It's like the primer didn't settle correctly. I bought the car as new. It's only two yrs. old and only 17,566 miles on it. Brought it to the dealer where I originally bought it and the service manager gave me a "I don't care" attitude.

A week goes by - no answer. Finally I called Toyota care customer service and they got in contact with the dealer. The service manager forgot to file the claim. Wow. I was so upset. That same day Toyota told the dealer that It's not a Toyota defect. I was told by the service manager it's acid rain. It's a new car. I had older cars with no paint problems caused by acid rain. The primer never settled. Toyota doesn't want to fix the problem. I can't believe how they have treated me. I will never buy a Toyota vehicle. I think I might go with a Kia or Mazda.

After purchasing a Toyota certified Venza that as used, I noticed the steering column as shaking making rattling noise in which there are tons of complaints. I contacted the Toyota corporate and they agreed to have it looked at. When they finally found the problem and I was right, they denied me of getting it fixed. They told me to call the Kia dealership in which I purchased. However, why would I have my Toyota certified vehicle fixed at a Kia dealership. Then they told me to buy a warranty. But if the car has a precondition, it won't get fixed anyway. So now I'm out money and instead of their price of 300 I will have to pay 1300. I'm so upset. I was almost in an accident a couple of weeks ago for failure to control my steering wheel.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota?

I bought my wife a 2016 Toyota Highlander AWD Platinum at the end of August. She told me she was having to clean her seats every week because of color transfer onto the leather. Turns out, any color other than white or beige was transferring to the seat. I contacted the dealer. They offered to clean the seats. I told them I needed a better solution than bringing it into constantly be cleaned. I also reminded they that I expressed concerns about the leather color and was reassured of Toyota's high quality. So they offered to have the seats reupholstered for $2000 or to trade it in and pay $3500-$4000 for the same vehicle with a different interior.

At this point I have only had the vehicle for 2200 miles and 3 months. Since I didn't agree to the terms the dealership gave me the Toyota number to call. I called, they asked that I take to a local dealership to be evaluated. The Service Manager said Toyota knows this is a problem and he can't do anything because they won't do anything. He even called Toyota Corporate number and explained that I was the 3rd customer this month with the same issue. The representative then tells us that if it's not deemed a defective then nothing can be done. I asked to speak to someone else. I was told I could write a letter. So at this point I told the representative that I bought a product in good faith and it is unreasonable to have to clean it every week. She then told me she has explained Toyota's position. I told her I wanted to exercise my right to file an arbitration. She said someone would contact me in 3 days.

A person from Toyota contacted me and told me he was going to act as my advocate. I explained my situation and he said he would contact the Toyota Distributor. About a 2 weeks later he calls me back and tells me the Distributor and Toyota's stance is that this is not a defect so no action is required. This Advocate didn't even call the right Distributor, but quickly dismissed me by saying it didn't matter. So I once again said I want to file an arbitration. He told me that Toyota would not find cause for me to file an arbitration.

I told him that was not Toyota's decision to make and that I am entitled to file an arbitration. I wonder if this was the same position they took when people called to complain about their cars accelerating and causing accidents. Toyota's answer to taking care of the customer is simple... Distributor- "pay more money for the same thing." Q` Toyota Corporate- "if it has not been deemed a defect then we don't care." I have owned 5 Toyotas, but this lack of customer care tells me a lot about the current company I am dealing with. Toyota use to take pride in their products, but not anymore.

Dependable, minor repairs, die hard reliability. I won't buy American anytime soon, had those and problems. Went with Toyota, Nissan, Lexus... so damn elated I did. Rock solid reliability and dependability!!! Resale was simple and more money compared to the American counterpart. I'm sold on foreign vehicles. Even when repairs were needed, they were few and far between. The parts were the biggest money suckered, ouch!

Toyota is a strong brand of vehicle. They have had recalls in the past but so has many others. Yet they continue to strive for the better. I have been taken good cared of by the company. For maintenance, you just have to find a good dealership or shop because that is where it can all go south! Which I have encountered recently. It can be bad when you are failed in that way. Parts do not have to always be factory parts for your vehicle to survive which will make it at times easier on the pocket. The overall conclusion is be a safe and careful driver. Don't fully depend on others to tell you if something is wrong with your vehicle. Check it often and you will have a happy vehicle!

I had been driving Toyota Vios 1500CC for 10 years, few repair needed and satisfying performance compare to other car at similar price, allow to be sold in Malaysia. The overall quality of the Toyota Vios is satisfying at this price, just the agent providing the service on behalf Toyota is disappointing, not up to the Toyota quality and no better choice for the situation in Malaysia.

Over 200000k with no major issues, performs very well. The vehicle was purchased new, I have driven for over 200,000k with only brakes needing replacement at 165,000k and that was just rear brakes, the front was still at 50% life. The only other repair has been a water pump due a small leak. The vehicles has exceeded all expectations for performance, gas mileage in southern climates as well as Winnipeg winters.

VENZA has engine vibration between 1800 and 2000 RPM. Dealer could not identify where the noise came from and why the vibration occurred between 1800 and 2000 RPM. It has also L shape crack on the front windshield. The crack is inside between top and bottom glasses. It could be caused by the glass defect.

I've had it for over two years and never had any problems with it. Great gas mileage, tinted rearview mirror so the person's lights driving behind you don't blind you. Very spacious for 4 people.

It's a 2012, and I've had it since then. It has never given me any problems outside of maintaining the normal course of use. It's reliable and uses regular gas which is a great savings! Great car. It's a good car for a woman or a single owner who will not be rough or abuse it. If handled well and maintained regularly, it will perform well and never let you down. I feel safe when I'm driving it.

With good maintenance it never gives you a problem. I've owned Toyota's since 1970. The first one I put over 300,00 mi. on it. Never had a problem. Husband owned different USA cars/trucks. They stayed in the shop. Now we each have Toyota's. Good care equals no problem!!!!

I would like to know if anyone had a ticking or clinging sound, but didn't know from where. I thought maybe I had a nail on my tire so was gonna get it checked out but didn't have a chance to due to my car breaking down and notice that day the noise got louder that day. Well my car started to jerk and smoke from my engine and completely shut down while I was entering the hi-way.

Well Toyota is where I maintenance my vehicle and not once did they ever tell me if anything was wrong with my car. I have had my engine light and my maintenance light on, I took it to Auto Zone. First they had told me that it was my battery and starter. So I replaced my battery first but notice that my engine light and maintenance light will go off and on. I thought it was just the starter since It hadn't been replaced with a new one. I also notice that it sounded like the piston were working too hard... Something just didn't sound right. My husband notice that the dip stick showed no oil. So I went to PEP BOYS and did a oil change since it was just around the corner.

Then the next day or two it sounded like I had no oil and showed low again, so they redid oil changed again with no cost. After that I recall taking my car to Toyota to do another oil change not too long after that. It's been almost a year since this happened with my lights and oil. Now Toyota is saying that noise that I was hearing was that something came loose inside the engine. I don't believe that for one bit. I believe it was a knocking in the engine due to not having enough oil. My oil change was supposed to be coming up at the end of November.

My vehicle has been broken down for about 2 weeks or more and Toyota does not want to fix it. If something came apart in my engine I will call that a defect on their end. I'm not an expert of knowing if something is wrong with my car... I would think that they'll be the ones to let me know since I maintenance my vehicle with them. I will never buy another vehicle through them!

We bought our Toyota Yaris brand new in 2008. After one year, the paint on the roof began to peel. At first it was just a small bubble of paint. But over the past few years, the peeling has spread to our entire roof. We asked the dealership about it and were told that it was our problem, that we would need to pay for a paint job. We couldn't figure out what was causing it. But we took the dealership at their word. Recently, we've noticed other Yaris' with the same issue. Most of them have been blue, just like ours. All of the peeling paint has been on the roof. We just saw one today that's red. We talked with one of the owners and she showed us where the peeling paint had moved down toward the driver's side door. Toyota needs to do a recall for a free paint job. The resale value of the car is diminished by the slip-shot paint job.

I own a 2008 Toyota Sequoia and my GPS system stopped working while driving it. Dealership states there is nothing they can do as well as Toyota Corporate. Their solution: Replace unit at a tune of $2K. No diagnosing of what the problem could be, they don't have personnel to do this, etc. Toyota Corporate did offer to pay half of replacement though. I'm ecstatic! Like hell. Why should I replace a navigation system at $1K, when I don't know what the problem is. Love my Sequoia and planned to purchase another when and if the body style changes. Scratch that! Toyota will not be getting my business again.

Called Toyota today. Had a problem with the 2009 Toyota Corolla with their power steering. They claimed that only a service manual was sent out back in 2010. But where they LIED is the fact there is a class action law suit that was just settled on April 4th 2016 saying that we were entitled to a 50% refund for the amount paid on the fix... Instead they LIED and said that there was no other information and when I brought up the suit he said well since its not listed on his end there was nothing he could do... Useless isn't even the word to describe Toyota Customer Service. What a Joke.

I have driven a Toyota for the last 11 years. My first was an echo then I bought a new corolla ascent in 2008. I loved that car and nothing ever went wrong. I would have given a 100% satisfaction. In Oct 2015 I traded it in for a corolla ascent sport. What a difference - First of all I did a hill start and smelt burning or petrol. When I complained to Toyota they said it's my driving... I've been driving for over 20 years and never experienced this before.

And in June 2016 I find a hole in the seam on the back of the driver chair. My instinct tell me that it is a weak material/stitching but also a weak joint in the manufacturing of the chair itself. Toyota tell me it's the material and will change the seat cover. Today 21 June 2016 I drop my car off at the service centre. I stress my concern on the weakness of the chair itself. I pick my car up and they haven't changed the cover, they have ordered a new back for the seat. I was right, it was a fault in the chair itself. Shame on Toyota. They were always right up there with safety. Now I'm not so sure. This seat would have crumpled had I been in an accident. I describe this car as ascetically lovely but cheap manufacturing. I would never have said this pre this car.

Toyota Company Profile