4.02/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Toyota

Toyota is a Japanese car manufacturer that makes cars, trucks, SUVs and hybrids. This company is not yet accredited. To learn more, see reviews below or submit your own. Want to know more about ConsumerAffairs accredited brands? Check out ConsumerAffairs for Brands. Read reviews for their models:

View More View More

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Toyota Reviews

Original review: June 8, 2019

I have dealt with the Ganley (formerly Geller) dealership for 40 years. During that time the service department and sales consultants have for the most part been exemplary. I was distraught when my 2013 Scion XD was totaled by a driver running a red light. No one was injured or killed; however, I could barely think straight about a replacement car both with financing and the Scion's unavailability.

Sales consultant, Matt **, was outstanding and empathic about my situation. He is a star when it comes to following through with every detail. Dan **, John, and Mike ** are incredible in Service. All this dealership's mechanics also work on Mercedes as it is a dual dealership - a definite added advantage. Matt advised me that the 2019 CH-R XLE would be a great car for me and take away the sting of my losing my prior car. He was correct. The CH-R XLE has beautiful styling and has so many safety features that my car insurance rates went down. Ganley Toyota is a wonderful dealership and truly represents the Quality of the Toyota brand.

Original review: May 6, 2019

LC (Prado) seems still a reliable choice. Bought this in Switzerland, but all LC 150 are produced in Japan directly, so quality should be the same worldwide. That is the main reason for its reliability anyway. This facelift is so far (50000 KM) as well built as the predecessors. No problems whatsoever. The facelift overhaul got also rid of some design issues inside, like outdated looks and feel. Still Toyota and most Asian cars look a bit outdated (like 10 years back) inside compared to German cars for e.g., but the Toyota wasn't bought for superior gimmicks but for long lasting performance.

Navigation is good, but a bit slow to pick up when booted. That is the only bad thing I could complain about. Missing functions: Smartphone integration does not have access to external antenna (shark-antenna only used for radio reception it seems) like even 10 year old "premium" Volkswagen/Audi/BMW/Mercedes etc do have. So your device will need to get out of the Faraday-cage inside the car, which deteriorates speech quality and introduced a lot of unnecessary EM-pollution to all passengers/driver easily exceeding exposure limits. This is true for all Toyota cars unfortunately. Also noise cancellation is inferior too...

But this car shines with superior durability and offroad performance. Superior interleaving and 4 wheel drive. Excellent upgrade options. Only Range Rover Defender (useless for daily drive req. though) and G class Mercedes (overpriced) are a match of still produced cars. Engine is 2.8L Diesel with Toyota tuning to 200HP. In Europe Toyota is no longer selling the big LC 200 due to emission constraints.

Get expert buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I can't begin to tell you enough about how awesome this car is. It is fun to drive, easy to maintain, and every single functioning piece of equipment is of the best quality I have ever owned. I have all the Toyota Camry in the past and it was awesome as well. The only thing that this car could not withstand was one time when I was unfortunately stuck up on a block ice and snow that the plows left on the road on an exit ramp in the dark. Somehow when I hit the snowbank a sensor fell off the bumper but it remained dangling inside the bumper for a very long time whilst I tried to figure out why my car was not running right. All I had to do was snap the sensor back in the bumper and my entire vehicle runs like new again. The strange thing was that the misplaced sensor caused my engine to idle rough and not give enough air to the engine.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I received my Toyota Yaris 2007 (sedan) as a Christmas gift while in High school in 2010. At the time it only had 26k miles on it, now it has 185k and shows no signs of giving out. Between high school, college, road trips, and long daily commutes, I have put this car through the wringer! Outside of routine oil changes, I haven’t had to spend much on maintenance. I have had to replace the belts a few times, brakes twice (first shop did it wrong and did not even replace nor check the rear brakes), and now it needs a new wheel bearing. I would say that’s pretty good for such a small car with high mileage. I am now looking for another car because I have a little one and the compact size does not agree with a growing toddler. But I won’t be trading in this car. I’ll be passing it down to my niece. Toyota really does prioritize dependability!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I bought a used 2006 Toyota RAV 4 for 1200 dollars. The miles were already getting up there but I could tell by the look of the car the previous owner had taken care of it. I have 4 kids who take every red cent to raise and this car was within my budget. But I thought if I got a year out of it to beat back and forth to work then it would serve its purpose. It would be a 1200 well spent. I'd love to say that when I bought this car I took care of it just like the previous owner, but that would be a lie. I beat the car to hell, I didn't change the oil once in 4 years, not a filter or spark plug. I did nothing for this car the entire time I owned it except replace tires to pass inspection, replace wheel bearings, and put gas in it.

This year I took it to be inspected and there is rust on the gas tank and other places and repairs would cost about 1000 dollars. I can't see spending 1000 dollars on a car that basically cost me as much. And there are over 375,000 miles on the thing now. But the engine is still going and the problems are all outside of it. I would love to see if I could hit half a million with this car and I think I probably could. It's a beast. And one of the best cars I have ever owned. Honestly I treated it so badly I don't know how it's still running. But it is. Best car I have ever owned. Sadly I will be looking for a new beater for work as I can't doing the repairs makes any sense. But I would recommend this car to anyone.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota?

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

Several months ago, my wife took our Rav-4 to the dealership for regular service- an oil change. My wife calls me later on to inform the car had leaked oil out onto the driveway and adjacent road. The dealership's service department had cross-threaded the oil filter, causing the leakage. Several months later we received a bill from the dealership for towing and the rental car (they gave us a rental and hauled the car back to the dealership on a rollback). We, are afraid to do further business with Toyota or, their dealer. Nothing preventing them from loosing a few transmission bolts, engine, etc.

Bottom line, Toyota, could care less about the disingenuousness of their "partnership counterpart - i.e., the dealer." Sadly, this has caused us to consider having to get rid of the vehicle due to these unresolved issues, lack of service, lack of product support and, moreover, lack of professionalism. I am very, very disappointed. We, will never purchase another Toyota based upon this experience. As for the Toyota corporation, they stated "there was nothing they could do, it was a privately owned dealership." Really? I, mean, really.

Resolution response: Oct. 8, 2019

My local dealership worked the issue from their end and got Toyota to pay for half the repair. Not a total success but better than nothing. Very pleased with the service team at Wyatt Johnson Toyota in Clarksville, TN.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

My 2007 Sequoia with 78k on it blew out a brake line during service test drive after replacing all pads and rotors. It’s the only fitting in the system showing signs of corrosion...little to no rust anywhere else. Seems like a piece of the vehicle that should last decades or 100’s of thousands of miles. Toyota isn’t helping at all with the cost of repairs. Out of warranty and out of enhancement program window. Expected more out of a brand known for reliability, longevity, and customer support. Especially since Honda put up goodwill funds to repair a defective part that was out of warranty on my wife’s 2010 Pilot. Guess I know which Japanese brand to stick with.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

We have a 2019 from new Toyota CHR hybrid 7months in use and the paint has started to bubble, after inspection by Toyota said it's because of bird poo. We have had cars for over 45 years and never had this issue. Is the paint suitable for purpose? Won't be able to use on the roads or park outside for fear of birds droppings. I would of thought that the modern day environments the new paint coatings would be able to cope with this issue. How is it that all the other cars we have owned over the years never had this problem. Is it due to the thin quality of the body paint.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

The back side of the passenger side rear view mirror fell off the car and was lost. The dealer was of no help in finding a replacement part, or in addressing service issues. I have had to have several known Toyota issues fixed during other visits to the dealer.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2019

In 2015 I went to a dealership in Lawrence, KS where I was approved for a car loan for the RAV-4 hybrid. In hindsight I am not sure I should have been approved for the loan. I told them how much I thought I could afford a month with insurance included. They quoted me a price, when I said I couldn't afford the insurance the floor manager said that he would make a phone call then sold me liability insurance. He said I didn't need comprehensive insurance only liability. After a few months I realized I couldn't afford the payments. I went to the dealership in the new state I was living to ask for advice about what to do in my situation. They insisted that I go in person to speak with one of their sales reps.

When I arrived the sales rep I was assigned was relentless. I got flustered, I had mentioned several times I needed to leave to take the night to think about what to do however, I ended up leaving with a car I didn't want. I was a single mom, my daughter was getting restless. When signing the paperwork we looked into switching the insurance plan over to the new car, that is when I was told that legally I was required to have full coverage insurance on a car if you have a loan. In the end I left with a car I didn't want because I thought it would be affordable but cost me the same. Since I have had this car (2016 Prius), the handle came off when I went to open the door.

The dealership said they wouldn't cover the cost because they determined it had come off due to someone forcefully opening the door. Three years after having the car the AC stopped working. I was told it was due to the air conditioning radiator damper servo sub assembly malfunctioning. I was told again that Toyota would not cover the cost to repair it and it would cost me over $1,000 to repair it. I do claim responsibility for my naivete and for not educating myself more before walking into a car dealership. My experience was not great. I suspect the dealership in Lawrence is manipulating paperwork to give loans to people who would otherwise not be approved for those loans. And erroneously advising customers to purchase liability insurance. I will never buy from Toyota again. I would never advise anyone to.

Toyota Company Information