2.88/5
Based on 38 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

57 Toyota Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 8, 2018

My name is Andrew ** and I work in the automotive industry. I am a Team Leader at a Toyota Dealership in Lancaster, Ohio. I have been around, owned or driven hundreds of makes and models of cars new and used. I have also owned my fair share. Recently I purchased a 2017 Toyota 4Runner JTEBU5JR9H5470030 (Sep. 2, 2017) and within the first couple hundred miles of driving in I noticed a really bad steering wheel shimmy/walk/shake. I am not sure what is the best way to describe it. I brought it back into the dealership (at that time I worked at a Kia dealership) to have them look at it. They balanced the wheels and checked the alignment and said it was fixed.

I picked it up and nothing was fixed so the car ended back up in the shop for the another I believe 9 days as they tried to balance the tires. Bought new equipment to balance the tires better, switch tires and wheels from another 4Runner to finally saying that all 4 tires were no good and switching them out and using the new machine to road force balance them. Did it help? Yes it did for about a week. Unfortunately it all came back just the same.

At this point I was tired of dealing with it so I just figured I would suck it up an accept it because it was only a lease and even though I wanted to buy it out at the end I didn't have to. Then in February I ended up getting a positon at the Toyota dealership and the problem was bothering me so bad still that I decided to try again to get it fixed since I didn't have to drive my car anywhere extra because now I worked there. Again they road force balanced the tires and said it was fine and then another week or two went by and I asked them to check the alignment which was off (probably from the constant shimmy) and they fixed that. I even reached out to Toyota to see if they would buy the car back since I was a good Toyota client. They said that the car was within guidelines. So here I am.

I am not trying to get rich or get a settlement. All I want is for someone to look into this long existing problem that the Toyota 4Runner has that Toyota denies. It might never help my situation out but maybe just maybe it could help someone else out in the future. I am attaching some links that will show you that this is been a long ongoing problem that Toyota won't address. If you need to reach me other than by email my cell phone number is ** and my work number is ** Thanks for listening.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I recently purchased a new Toyota which the salesman failed on his part to get a correct 10 day payoff on my trade. Now that the deal is done, signed and a payment is being withdrawn from my new account they are harassing me for the balance of my payoff. We don’t carry our payoff of our vehicle in our pocket so I gave an estimate which he should have followed up with a 10 day payoff. Now I am receiving harassing phone calls and texts messages at my job on this. Legacy Toyota is very unprofessional and they don’t think of the buyer. All they want is numbers and don’t care at whose cost. This is going to end up with an attorney. I’m waiting to hear from Toyota on this matter. It was the worse purchase I have ever made and not speaking of the truck.

Get expert buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 26, 2018

In the last six years I have had ''Rodent Damage'' to the wiring of my Toyota vehicles (Toyota Tundra 2007 and Toyota Corolla 2010). I have had one to two claims per year since 2013 (no claims for 2014) for a total of seven claims. I didn't pull my records back any further for the Toyota vehicles. The damage varies from approximately $700 to $1500 per claim. My deductible is one hundred dollars each for a total of $700 to me for that time period. Now it has happened again and I got a letter from my insurance company stating it is going to raise all my deductibles to $1000 each, not just my comprehensive coverage.

All indications are this is an Industry wide problem because the wiring has been changed to soy based insulation and all the critters love to eat this stuff. Before 2007 for the previous 27 years, no wire damage. I had Chevy and Dodge before the insulation change and had no wire damage. I had my Chevy and Dodge vehicles both for 10 years or more each parked in the same location as my Toyota vehicles. I have taken all the precautions to prevent rodents by placing repellents, traps and poison boxes out to eradicate the vermin. Honda has ''Rodent Tape'' available at their parts department to wrap the wires. Whats that tell you. (The tape is also now available at Amazon.) I have been wrapping the damaged repaired wires. This seems to work for about a year. The tape must lose its potency in that time at least that is about how long they go with no wire damage.

I see there are class action lawsuits in progress at this time for this problem. In the meantime I am at a loss for what to do short of parking on an electric grid that electrocutes anything that approaches my vehicles. I mention this because such a product was in the development stages on a GoFundMe in the UK. Sad to say it didn't get into production. It was called RatMat Rat Repellent Electrified Flooring. To wrap it up, the danger of wires being damaged is loss of safety devices built into the vehicle such as anti-lock brakes.

Original review: May 9, 2018

Sequoia is comfy and sturdy! Great family truck. The back hatch handle goes out on the 2003. And last week the water pump went out. $1,000 repair. Other than that it’s been almost trouble free for 174,000 miles, with regular maintenance.

Original review: May 7, 2018

My car that had high mileage I sold was 2004 Toyota Echo. Also a stellar performer. This Toyota Yaris was an acquisition as my mom is 94 and is bed bound so this became mine and it is a 2007 with only 25,000 miles on it. I did have to bring it to Toyota for a few recalls and had dialogue with them about some defective cables they said were ok but since the 2007 don't install anymore? But all in all she handles great. A little 2 door hatch back I will drive till she's dead! Cheers!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota?

Original review: May 6, 2018

I purchased a new Toyota Camry 2008 - in 2008 at Toyota Dealership in Houston Texas. After less than 60,000 miles I began experiencing engine problems, i.e., losing oil. On 4/17/2018, I called Toyota Motors and the Toyota Dealership in Houston. I found out that there was a recall and recall was ended on December 2017. I did not receive any notices from TOYOTA about the Warranty Enhancement Service recall on Oil Consumption.

Toyota Dealership in Houston believed that this type of car should not experience this problem at a low mileage. She checked to see if there was a recall on my engine and found one, but it was expired on December 2017, three month ago. She advised me to check with Toyota Motors Incorporate office to see if they could help me. After 14 times phone calls finally Ms. Diaema ** from the executive office contacted me on April 26, 2018, she was EXTREMELY unprofessional. First, she had all the facts wrong. So, I had to explained to her from the beginning, it's like she was totally lost. I had to repeat my explanation.

Finally, during my explanation, she HUNG UP on me. On Tuesday May 1, 2018 I called her 5 times and she never return my phone calls, after my email on May 3, 2018, Ms. Diaema ** called and she said, “EVERY TIME YOU EMAIL TO Mr. Akio Toyoda, IT IS GOING TO COME TO ME AND I STOP IT, BECAUSE I AM THE Executive Office Administrator”, in addition she was EXTREMELY unprofessional and RUDE. Toyota never care about their customers with the products and services that they provide. I wish I had to read some of the reviews before I shop.

Talking to customer service was a waste of time. No help. Total disrespect for the consumer. I will most certainly use a more reliable company in the future. I should not, will not doing any business with the company with such bad customer service and management practice. P.S. Wow... TOYOTA coming in at the #1 spot for absolute worst customer service I've ever experienced (and am still experiencing).

Original review: May 6, 2018

My Venza is eight years old and looks almost new. Great overall utility crossover, from distance driving, hauling cargo or passengers, it has been a very reliable vehicle.

Original review: May 5, 2018

The Venza is a great car and I love it. I had 3 full-size vans which I drove for 25 years. I never expected to be in any vehicle smaller than my vans.

Original review: May 4, 2018

This is regarding Toyota case #** that I have filed for Toyota Of Dallas when I purchased 2018 Rav4 XLE on April 27, 2018. It's been 4 business days and still this issue has not been resolved yet. Let me describe you the details about this issue - I got the OTD with student grad offer for that vehicle one day prior before purchasing that vehicle and I also filled out my loan application to save 1.5 hours as mentioned in your website. When I came to Toyota of Dallas dealership, the salesman told me that I am not eligible for student grad offer even though I submitted my diploma and proof of income (As per Toyota, I should be eligible to get this offer as I have all the documents and excellent credit history and score). So, I ended up getting another OTD for this vehicle.

When I went to Toyota Financial Advisor for this dealership, he told me I can get student grad offer but I have to purchase extended warranty as well otherwise I cannot get that offer. But I had told him that I do not want extended warranty but only GAP insurance. At last, I ended up signing contract as I was exhausted, starving as I hadn't had any meal. Even though I had OTD for this vehicle and I submitted loan application online, it took me about 4.5 hours to get this vehicle out. I know this dealership usually takes time to make customer exhausted so they can play with their numbers. When I came home, and started looking out contract, there should be 2 contracts which the Financial Advisor told me but instead there was 3 contracts (last contract he just attached to my other paperwork).

The Financial Advisor told me if I submit last year tax document, then my monthly payment for vehicle will be 406, if not then 419, then how come there was another contract with 456 (As you can see, they make me sign electronically in pad and there was nothing except signature box)? Then I open a case against this dealership with Toyota. So, next day I went to the dealership and told Internet sales manager Syed to let me meet to one of the PR Manager, then he told me, “I am the manager.” So, I told him that I don't know about that. After that, he told me to get out of this building as I was disrespecting him. How I am going to know who he is until he show me some proof? And this dealership is treating customer like a piece of crap after buying vehicle. How can a manager say to customer to get out of the building instead of trying to resolve the issue?

So, today I called Toyota again as I had not receive any response yet from dealership. Finally, today I got a call from Director from Toyota of Dallas around 2 PM and he told me that I have to submit 2 years of Tax document in order to qualify for student grad offer. So, at this point the dealership are just telling me whatever they want because another Financial Advisor told me to submit only last year tax document. I told him that and I told him what my numbers should be and then he told me that he will review and call me back. The dealer is closed right now and I have not receive any call yet. Does it take more than 7 hours to review this case? It's been 7 days I have been stressing out due to this reason. So, could you try to escalate this issue to be resolve asap? I wish it would have been a happy purchase but the fraud/false activities of this dealership won't making us customers happy.

Also, PFAs for contracts and paperwork and at this point, even though If I submit my tax return, I do not know which amount is going to be my monthly payments? I want to remove extended warranty and GAP insurance from my contract. And I want to re-sign the contract with the Financed Amount 22701.43 (406.58 monthly payments one, after deducting extended warranty and GAP Insurance) because I have put $3000 down payment already and it was a deal I received before going to the dealership.

After 4 business days, this issue has not been resolved yet. They make me sign on electronic pad which there was nothing written except the signature box. and found out that they are charging me more amount in that contract than what I was given OTD. Do not sign on that electronic pad. Now, I have 3 different amounts for one car. I would rather spend that extra charge money on lawyer instead letting this business get it. It's not #letsgoplaces, it's #letsgocourt #toyota #fraud #fraudbytoyota #toyotafinancialservices #frauddealership #toyotaofdallas #toyotaheadquarters

Original review: May 4, 2018

Bought this Toyota Matrix car due to an emergent need (no time for serious search). It's too low to the ground. As a 4 cylinder, it is a gas guzzler. However, it handles well and has nice design.

Original review: April 29, 2018

Toyota Celica was bought with over 200,000 miles on it 2 years ago... still running strong. I hope to keep it for awhile. I will have to invest some to keep it going.

Original review: April 28, 2018

Toyota Sequoia has a nice ride to it and handles well for a large SUV. It has a large storage capacity and many compartments for additional storage. The engine has power to pull a trailer with air conditioning on. The gears shift smoothly and provide enough torque.

Original review: April 27, 2018

Only problem I have with Toyota Venza is the alarm goes off for no reason. Otherwise I love the ride. Very comfortable and easy to get in and out. I like the design and I love the extended moon roof.

Original review: April 26, 2018

Toyota Yaris - Smaller cars are more maneuverable in city conditions and more fuel efficient. But I think all cars should be fitted with GPS. This would eliminate the use of phone GPS.

Original review: April 25, 2018

Venza is fun to drive, durable, great in snow, and comfortable to ride in, both front and back seat. It gets excellent gas mileage on the road, often over 28 MPG.

Original review: April 12, 2018

03 Toyota 4 Runner - Drive the car in DCH Toyota in Simi Valley for safety recall "smart stop tech". First, they said car will be done in couple hour. Around 10:00 am received a called from dealer and said car not done until 4:00 pm. Keep waiting after 4:00 pm no one called. Going direct to the dealer and Juan ** (customer service guy) said, the car not done and something wrong with it, already on Friday afternoon for better to wait until next Monday morning to get help from corporate and he will helping me to taking care of it.

Monday morning I got called and text message from him. Said my car failure base on the new update of the SW. Determine that failure on ABS break system and I have to pay for the cost of repair with more than 4K to replace a new ABS break system. Either pay for repair or tow the car out of the dealer because the car cannot be drive. When I drive my car in without any problems now they said failure. I have to tow my car back to home for now. "OMG" can you imagine about that. Basically I'm very enjoy to drive Toyota but not anymore.

Original review: April 11, 2018

On 4-4-18, went for my scheduled oil change, the car is 5 yrs. old, only has 15,318 miles, I was told I had a oil leak and would need a reseal on the timing cover, the cost is $2,074.00. I purchased the car at AutoNation Toyota in Hayward, Ca. Had all my services completed there. I told my service adviser this shouldn't happen to a car with these low miles. I was very upset. I feel this is a defect, and it's causing the engine to lose oil, usually caused by a faulty sealant. My service adviser sent a email Re: "Good Will Request", I don't have a extended warranty on my car. I'm waiting for a decision from technology manager from another dealership.

Original review: March 30, 2018

I had no issue with the car, but the electronic peripheral or the dash cam and the GPS media system are both poor quality. They are supplied locally. If you purchase a Toyota, just purchase the car or anything that is supplied directly by Toyota. I enjoy driving Toyota.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

The Avalon is nimble in traffic, extremely reliable, required very little maintenance on 166,000 miles and very high visibility for the driver. The partition in the back seat allows you to put items with extended length like 2x4, pipes and large opening into trunk allows luggage to slip easily into trunk.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

I purchased a 2014 Toyota Highlander from Northwest Toyota on Aug 30, 2017 for $36,750. As it was used, I purchased extended warranty insurance for 1800 dollars which would give me 3 years of warranty. I was told by the financier that this was called "bumper to bumper" insurance and to be assured if anything goes wrong, it will be covered.

3 1/2 months after purchase I was having problems opening and closing the hatch. I went on the Toyota Forum and found out this was and is a common problems with 2014 Toyota Highlanders. I wasn't worried because most people said Toyota covered the costs for fixing it. I booked an appointment with Toyota and was told the insurance only covers the motor for the hatch but not the struts. The motor costs about 400 dollars and the struts are over 2000 dollars. I then looked up what is covered under the extended warranty and there is no mention of the hatch at all. There is also no mention that it is not covered. I have requested Toyota fix the whole thing or refund the 1800 dollars I paid for the extended insurance. I have not heard anything back.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2017

I purchased my 2018 Camry XSE 3 weeks ago and I love. Only thing I don’t like is that a remote start doesn’t come standard. After paying that amount of money I thought it would have remote start seeing as other cars of different makes and models but are sedans do have the remote start. I think it comes on the XSE V6 but that car is about $4000 more than my car. Toyota should be ashamed for not making that standard.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I have a Toyota and it is great on gas. It has lots of features. One of them been the phone on the dashboard. Important for emergency call. Another when you turn on the car, the doors close automatically. Nice design. It has many more things that it would take me too much time. It is a smart car. I just got it last year.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

My name is Viren ** and I bought my Venza AWD from Canada brand new with top model and I paid about 46000 Canadian dollar and I took extended warranty for 7 years bumper to bumper. My bad luck that I moved to USA for my business and I didn't know that if I register my vehicle from Canada to USA then all warranty void. And it gone. I paid for my warranty about 2100 dollar and I never use it. They gave me back about 600 dollar in 2015, at that time my car mileage was 68000 kms (about 42000miles). After that I start servicing and oil change in Greenville Toyota for my both car Sienna limited and Venza. I used to pay for just oil about 90 dollar which is too costly. So I start to buy oil from Autozone and one of mechanic he change it for me with 15 dollar labor.

Recently 2 week ago I was driving my Venza from 40 to 60 mile zone and suddenly I heard a bad noise and start to come out little smoke. So I just stopped on road and try to check it out and I found that lots of oil was leaking and my car couldn't start again so I towed to Greenville Toyota. They people diagnosis and told me that, "Your engine block has hole so your engine is gone and now you have to replace it and cost will be about 7100 dollar." I was shocked, before that never I got any engine light indication and suddenly this happened.

I talked with Toyota customer service and try to help me out and how come just 64000 mile engine can gone. And they told me that might be there will be lubricating problem with engine so that is happened. Because of I never did service with them since 2016 so. If I used to service with them then they can try to say something else but never say that about machine faulty or bad parts. I read review online about Venza engine and people says that VVT-i engine is famous to with bad impression.

After that I went to Hendricks Honda in Greenville and just ask them about the cost of fixing my car and they gave me quote is 5100 dollar with 3 years or 36000 mile warranty on engine. So I moved my car from GREENVILLE TOYOTA TO HONDA. Today my car is fixed by Honda just like brand new. I used to big fan of Toyota and I am driving Toyota both my vehicle since 2008 but this incident and response from Toyota. I will never buy Toyota vehicle and I will never went to Greenville Toyota.

My Venza is low mileage car and driven by my wife all the time just in town and still this happen with luxuries car for I paid almost 50000 dollar and company say your power train warranty from company expired on 60000 mile so we can't do anything. From my experience I learnt that nowadays Toyota has to commitment with customer like used to be. So think about it to buy a vehicle from Toyota. I would prefer to go to Honda or some other car company who can provide good service and at least accept any defect if there.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I purchased a new Toyota Camry-LE in 2003 at Toyota Dealership in Riverside Ca. After less than 90,000 miles I began experiencing engine problems, ie, gray smoke emitting from my tailpipe when first starting my car in the morning. On 9/7/17, I left my car with my mechanic, Moe. After several hours inspecting my car and performing a compression, he believed I had major engine problems and stated that this type of car should not experience this problem at a low mileage. He checked to see if there was a recall on my engine and found none. He advised me to check with Toyota Corporate office to see if they could help me. I checked with Toyota Corporate office in Torrance Ca. I contacted their office and they stated I should not have engine problems at this low mileage.

The next day I took my car to the dealership to be inspected. I told the manager that my mechanic suspected engine problems. When I went to pick up my car the same day, the manager said I had not engine problems. However when reading the report on my car, the mechanic recommended an engine teardown. No test were run on this car (compression test). I asked to speak to the mechanic and I was denied. I then returned to my mechanic and authorized a teardown to find a bad engine. I replaced the engine for $ 6,85.91.

I decided to send this to the manufacturer in Plano Texas with all the receipts, oil changes, tires, fluid changes, belts, etc. In speaking to a manager named Nancy at this office, I was denied any financial help stating that there was no record of me using Toyota for repairs. I reminded Nancy that it states in the Toyota manual that Toyota will not deny a claim because you choose a service provider other than Toyota. Nancy insisted on sticking to her story, that I must use Toyota services. I realize the warranty has expired, but what options do I have?? I paid a lot for this car, and believe I deserve better. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

I always had a good trust in Toyota's reliability but no more. I bought 4 Toyota cars in different times and my first car was new Corolla 1983. The last car Camry 2009 which has engine consuming oil problem. Toyota refused to address the issue. I further researched on the net that Camry engines year 2007 to 2011 has same problem and Toyota is less of care. Finding excuses not to fix the issue. All Camry owners are suffering. The problem started after standard warranty was expired. In 2014 Toyota after a class action suit filed by the Camry owners to extend a warranty program which has lot of loop holes and many owners still couldn't avail it and I'm one of them. Toyota corporate refused to address the issue. I think the best thing is to stop buying Toyota as it is no more reliable car. Toyota is anyway most expensive to its competitors I.e. Honda, Nissan, Subaru, Mazda etc. I will not ever buy/lease Toyota anymore.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

BEWARE Lithia Medford Toyota!! This is a warning for everyone to not get repairs of ANY KIND done there ever. My Tundra was taken into Lithia Toyota and dropped off for a "mandatory" airbag recall. We left town to go camping and so had it picked up by a friend who took it home. We picked the truck up from him a week later, drove it about 3 miles when it died and then the wiring system literally started on fire. We were told to bring it back in by a front desk person (on a Sunday), but it was then refused by Lithia's Service Manager Monday morning. Sticking us with a $500 towing bill.

We talked to the GSM, who after some discussion told us he'd have it picked up and try to make everyone happy. Two weeks later he told us there was nothing he could do, that it wasn't Lithia's fault, that it was just a coincidence, that after 7+ years of never having a single significant problem, less then 10 miles out of his shop it started on fire. Which is false. It happened because of a repair that we've been told both by a Subaru dealer (who wanted to do the same recall on our other car) and an EMT separately and independently that the first thing either of them do when dealing with an airbag is to unhook the battery, for that very reason. I also, on a fluke, recently talked to a local independent car dealer who told me that Lithia Toyota also started one of his vehicles on fire when attempting a simple key change. Bottom line, GO ELSEWHERE!!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

I am a fan of Toyota and recommend people to buy Toyota Cars. I myself bought Toyota cars. I recently was looking for a Toyota Sienna LE and I spoke to Toyota Klamath Falls and they agreed to a price with me and gave me the go-ahead to come to their dealership for a van even I told them that I am coming far from the dealership more than 60 miles they confirmed me that they will sell at the agreed price. When I and a friend of mine reached there, I double checked (even though the car has scratches all over but they agreed to fix that) with them before running of my credit check, the sales guy again confirmed the same price and asked me to sign on certain papers. I did that, but, after some time he came back with a different price which was $400 more than the agreed price and said either buy on this price or leave the dealership which was rude.

I decided not to buy the car on principles I didn't want myself to be tricked on this dirty trick of them. They didn't give us any copies of anything like the documents which I signed and rudely said that they are not giving us anything and leave. We called Toyota customer service but it was not available since it was Sunday. I would not recommend this dealership to anybody and beware of their dirty tricks. The VIN number of the car is **, please beware this car has scratches everywhere.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

It is with deep regret that after being a Toyota customer for numerous years and having owned over 10 of their vehicles that I am finally throwing in the towel and no longer buying their cars/trucks. Nothing but problems with my Highlander and Tundra and the company could care less. The brakes are constantly failing and numerous people I have spoken to are saying the same. It is my feeling that Toyota has become a bit like GM did years back and we all know how that turned out.

Undoubtedly Toyota was once in my opinion the maker of fine cars but with several of the competitors stepping up more and more Toyota has lost their way. My family has purchased over $250,000 worth of Toyotas in the last few years and I would say we are done. No fault of the dealer as they tried to step up but the company did not and does not stand behind their vehicles. I always enjoyed the residual value of a Toyota but cannot in good conscience encourage anyone to now buy a Toyota product.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

Toyota dealer has had my 2016 Tacoma for 9 weeks waiting for components to fix leak in rear Differential that can result in a safety hazard. Though they have provided a 'loaner' (I had to provide credit card), I am limited as to who can drive their 'loaner' and have to keep going and renewing loaner/rental documentation, and calling the dealer and Toyota. Everyone is 'sorry'... but I am paying for a vehicle I have not got, satellite radio I cannot use, and have had some major rearranging to do as far as work and vacation related travel due to this. They cannot give me an ETA (and I know how MFG works, there are schedules) of parts. 9 weeks is WAY TOO LONG to have a vehicle held hostage. I am really frustrated.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I went to my Toyota where I bought the Brand New Car from them. I went back last week and because there were fog or oil in my vent screen and they told me that I have to get a new one but you do have warranty because we are not going to use it because they we don't know if the warranty department is going to pay us or not. But as a business and customer way that is not right to us when we buy car and they tell "You don't worry. You have warranty." Please stop lying to people and do your job what we pay you to do. Please don't buy the car from 1155 Bloomfield Ave, West Caldwell, NJ 07006. They are totally liars, fraud and cheaters.

Toyota Company Information