4.1/5 (518 ratings)
Get Pricing  on Carvana

About Toyota

Toyota is a Japanese car manufacturer that makes cars, trucks, SUVs and hybrids. Read reviews for their models:

Toyota Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota?

Original review: May 23, 2022

I bought my car used from another dealership and they were happy to show me the features of my car. They also helped me figure out the original warranty that was purchased for it and make sure that my services were covered by it.

Get buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2021

In my life I've had Chevys, Fords, AMC and Nissan along with Toyota. Today's cars and trucks are not made to last. You would be lucky to get 75,000 to 100,000 miles of trouble free use out of America cars. Very sad. Seem we made them for the masses. But Toyota is incredible for what you pay, as long as you take care of it maintenance wise. You can very easily run it for 300,000 to 500,000 miles. Which is why I buy them, I got 350,000 mile out of my last Corolla and now I have a Tacoma that has 130,000 miles and still runs great and along with that everything still works on the truck.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2021

Toyota went out of their way to make their cars more affordable. I was offered a First Responder Discount. Then they also had a $1000 rebate. Their vehicle is extremely reliable. I have traveled extensively with it and put it through its paces and been very happy with its performance. I also tow a 3000 lb camper with it and it doesn't feel like it's back there. Highly recommended all around vehicle. For reference, I drive the 2018 Toyota 4Runner.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2021

The motors are really good. They last a long time. The drive train is really good. The body will rust off before the motor goes bad. Get good gas mileage around 20 miles to the gallon on most. The seat belts are strong and the air bags don't burn you when they hit your chest. Well already mine didn't. The storing is perfect. It will take a curve like it's out of this world and the brakes will stop you on a dime. Parts are really cheap for the most part and the motors if you ever have to work on it besides regular stuff the motors are very easy and simple to work on. I had mine for 15 years and never had any major problems and the motor was still running good after 15 years and I put it through a lot. I mean a lot.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2021

They are very accommodating with my hectic work schedule. They always come and talk to me to let me know what issues if any need to be addressed especially in order of importance before doing any further work.

Original review: April 27, 2022

I purchased a brand new 2014 Toyota Corolla Feb. 26, 2015. I also bought a seven year/75,000 mile platinum warranty, that states that repairs to the engine will be made even after the warranty expires. My car has only 59,000 miles on it. On April 20, 2022, my engine suddenly failed. Both Toyota Inc. and the dealer, Thurston Toyota in Ukiah, CA, had the discretion to honor my warranty and they would not. These companies are employing unethical business practices to the consumer. I have maintained my car by the book and can verify that. Is there a way that I can get my warranty honored?

Original review: April 5, 2022

I purchased a Toyota Venza March of 2021. Love the car -- it is a Hybrid and gets great gas mileage. As we are approaching the 1 year mark, I have received notification that the Toyota App will now be an $8 monthly charge to use the Remote Connect. I am shocked. My husband has a Ford F150 and the Ford app is free to remote start his truck. I can afford to pay but that is not the point. I am not speaking to a person (who has a salary) but using technology, which should be free. I am very disappointed and wish I had looked elsewhere for my vehicle.

Original review: March 8, 2022

Like to file a complaint. I want to pay in full for the past 1 month and they will not tell me how in need to pay. The car was 29,000. I put 5000 down payment and after 1 month I told them I would like to pay in full. They are saying I owe the 29,000.

Original review: March 7, 2022

UPDATED 03/07/2022: I purchased a new 2017 Rav4 from Toyota of Rock Hill. One of the freebees we were offered was “free oil changes for the first 30,000 miles”. This was really an oil change at 10,000 miles and one at 20,000 miles. At 10,000 miles I took my new Toyota in and had the oil changed. I was working for the public schools at the time and the automotive shop teacher told me I did not want to change the oil on the recommended 10,000 miles, that I should change the oil at 3,000 or 5,000 miles as I had always done.

Toyota of Rock Hill refused to change the oil “early”, so at 15,000miles, I changed the oil myself. I drained oil and I removed the oil filter. The oil filter was packed, I repeat packed with dirt and sand! I’m not sure how this could have happened by accident. I could not have offended anybody in the shop. I did not come into contact with anybody at all… At 20,000 miles I again changed the oil and the filter was very clean. I do not know why this happened, but I will never let any Toyota service department touch another vehicle of mine again.

ORIGINAL REVIEW: I have purchased many new Toyotas over the past 25 years. The autos have been great. 2004 Solaria, 2006 Solaria, 2006 Rav4 and a 2017 Rav4. I drove the Solaria for 450,000 miles total and the 2006 Rav4 is coming up on 200,000 miles. The newest Rav4 will turn 40,000 miles soon. No mechanical problems of any kind on the older Toyotas. The new 2017 Rav4 had some issues.

The one major problem has been with the new tires that came on the two new Rav4s. The tires were manufactured by Yokohama and have had a number of problems. On the 2006 Rav4 the tires did not last. Maybe 30,000 was all. After several calls Yokohama I was told by somebody on the executive staff that “We can manufacture better tires but we manufacture these tires to Toyota’s specifications.” The Toyota dealer would not stand behind the tires even though we purchased a warrantee package which cost the equivalent of a set of four tires $600. The 2017 Rav4 had a flat spot or broken belt on one of the four tires. The dealer would not stand behind the problem. Four years and 40,000 miles later and the Rav4 still makes a loud vump, vump, vump noise. It has really gotten under my skin!

A second major issue with the 2017 Rav4 is the automatic radar braking.
    • Moving through traffic at speed limit speeds if you try to pass a car and come close to the vehicle, sometimes the radar will engage the brakes unexpectedly. It may even brake very hard.
    • Trying to pass a car on a two-lane highway when you come close to the vehicle, the brakes may come on unexpectedly. It may brake very hard. This is very dangerous if there is a car coming at you in the other lane. You can’t pass the car you were trying to pass and you may be stopped by the oncoming car as well.
    • If you are going around a curve and there is a guard rail next to the road the brakes may come on unexpectedly. If you are on a slippery road the back end will kick out and the car will spin!

• If you are on a hilly road the radar may see the hill as a solid object the brakes will come on unexpectedly. Unexpected braking in heavy traffic may get your Rav4 rear ended.

The problems are even worse if you use the cruise control. I never use the cruise control at all, it is just too dangerous. I talked with the dealer many times about the problems and the dealer pooh poohed the issues and refused to write up the problem.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2022

After 500 miles of nice quiet motor started to notice slight ticking/rattle noise. The more miles that were driven the louder the noise /rattle become, especially when it's cold. Pulled up to my bank drive-thru and they asked what the noise was and did I buy a diesel. Truck only has 2800 miles on it and already took it to 2 different Toyota dealers only for them to say that it was a high-pressure fuel pump and no way to fix it. Why if this is how it's supposed to be was it such a nice quiet truck when I 1st bought it. Almost 3000 miles later and I'm totally ashamed to drive it. If a fuel pump comes into my repair shop sounding like that I replace them and customer is happy. I've owned Toyota's for over 20 years will never buy another one. Buyer Beware!

Toyota Company Information