Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
3.73/5

Toyota

Toyota is a Japanese car manufacturer that makes cars, trucks, SUVs and hybrids. Read reviews for their models:

View More View More

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

122 Toyota Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 6, 2019

LC (Prado) seems still a reliable choice. Bought this in Switzerland, but all LC 150 are produced in Japan directly, so quality should be the same worldwide. That is the main reason for its reliability anyway. This facelift is so far (50000 KM) as well built as the predecessors. No problems whatsoever. The facelift overhaul got also rid of some design issues inside, like outdated looks and feel. Still Toyota and most Asian cars look a bit outdated (like 10 years back) inside compared to German cars for e.g., but the Toyota wasn't bought for superior gimmicks but for long lasting performance.

Navigation is good, but a bit slow to pick up when booted. That is the only bad thing I could complain about. Missing functions: Smartphone integration does not have access to external antenna (shark-antenna only used for radio reception it seems) like even 10 year old "premium" Volkswagen/Audi/BMW/Mercedes etc do have. So your device will need to get out of the Faraday-cage inside the car, which deteriorates speech quality and introduced a lot of unnecessary EM-pollution to all passengers/driver easily exceeding exposure limits. This is true for all Toyota cars unfortunately. Also noise cancellation is inferior too...

But this car shines with superior durability and offroad performance. Superior interleaving and 4 wheel drive. Excellent upgrade options. Only Range Rover Defender (useless for daily drive req. though) and G class Mercedes (overpriced) are a match of still produced cars. Engine is 2.8L Diesel with Toyota tuning to 200HP. In Europe Toyota is no longer selling the big LC 200 due to emission constraints.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I bought a used 2006 Toyota RAV 4 for 1200 dollars. The miles were already getting up there but I could tell by the look of the car the previous owner had taken care of it. I have 4 kids who take every red cent to raise and this car was within my budget. But I thought if I got a year out of it to beat back and forth to work then it would serve its purpose. It would be a 1200 well spent. I'd love to say that when I bought this car I took care of it just like the previous owner, but that would be a lie. I beat the car to hell, I didn't change the oil once in 4 years, not a filter or spark plug. I did nothing for this car the entire time I owned it except replace tires to pass inspection, replace wheel bearings, and put gas in it.

This year I took it to be inspected and there is rust on the gas tank and other places and repairs would cost about 1000 dollars. I can't see spending 1000 dollars on a car that basically cost me as much. And there are over 375,000 miles on the thing now. But the engine is still going and the problems are all outside of it. I would love to see if I could hit half a million with this car and I think I probably could. It's a beast. And one of the best cars I have ever owned. Honestly I treated it so badly I don't know how it's still running. But it is. Best car I have ever owned. Sadly I will be looking for a new beater for work as I can't doing the repairs makes any sense. But I would recommend this car to anyone.

Get expert buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I have owned two Toyota Camrys (1999 & 2005). The 1999 was a V6. I don't need to be specific other than to say, if you want drive a car that can easily last more than 200,000 without the expensive repairs, this is the brand to consider. Toyota should definitely earn the "Most Reliable Japanese Car" award. Look around when you're driving. What do you see most? Toyotas, BMWs, Hondas, etc. I don't remember any rental car companies that use Toyotas, which means every Toyota you see on the road are either owned or leased, and not rented. (I might be wrong, btw.) So, something for you to consider the next time you're in the market to buy cars.

Tip to all the Toyota owners: If your "mechanic" tells you something is bad and your has less than 75,000 miles, he is lying to you. I have brought my Toyotas to many local shops (to save money from dealerships' exaggerated cost for repairs) and they have suggested to replace the water pump, the radiator, this or that. I was wary and skeptical with their scare tactic approach, so I didn't fix it at that time. Now, 7 years later and with 127,000 miles, it's still running smoothly. Of course, you still have your routine maintenance that needs to be replaced every few years (air filter, tires, batteries, etc).

One mechanic told me, "A Toyota with less than 100,000 is still considered almost new. You just have to make sure to change your oil every three to four thousand miles and tune up your car every now and then." These are his words, not mine. My owner manual states every 5000 miles for each oil change, but I think that also depends on how you drive it and how frequent it is driven. You can save a lot of $$$ if you buy it used.

Bottom line is, if you want a car for the long-haul of saving money for many years to come, you should definitely consider buying a Toyota. Now, sometimes I wonder why Toyota owners even own Toyotas. I know I drive it because this car was handed down to me and I'm just waiting for it to break down. I mean, let's face it: Tundra drivers don't drive it to haul stuff. (There are many other stronger trucks.) You can't show off your social status with an Avalon. (Again, there are way more other choices.) You can't pick up girls with Camrys. (Not sporty enough to be a sport car and not luxury enough to be a high-class car.) A Corolla is good for what? Prius are well-known for their electric cars, which have been in high demand this past decade. In my opinion, I think you will want to get rid of your Toyota before it will stop working on you.

Original review: June 28, 2018

I did not have much money. I live off of a small amount every month and I needed something good on gas, reliable around town & easy to fix, cheap tags, cheap insurance. I really did not care what make or model I got as long as I got one that I could afford and would be dependable enough to get me around town. It was not too big and it was not too small. Everything worked on it and that's all that mattered. I've had a good experience overall with 1976 Toyota. It's dependable for being 19 yrs old. I liked that it was cheap and it is cheap on gas. It is easy to fix. I like older cars cause it is easier to work on, the parts are cheaper and the parts are easier to take off and on. Cheap tires too. I got a really good deal. The person that sold it to me took payments off 50 a month.

I liked that it had decent mileage on it for as old as it was. Comfortable, relaxing, not too big and not too small. Doesn't draw heat in the summer heats up fast too. But old radio, old windows, small trunk and no sunroof or car seat warmers and not automatic start. Also it gets off balance & shakes cause it's so old and the alignment. But insurance is cheap on it and like how I have to shift gears & how smooth it shifts. Real nice experience.

Original review: June 23, 2018

This 1991 Toyota pickup truck has good gas mileage. This truck takes knocks and bumps great. This truck always starts no matter what the weather. They seem to run forever. I've had many people at gas pumps offering to buy it. It is 4 WD and gets through mud and snow easily. It's a stick shift so it can be push started without getting a jump. This pickup truck gets good gas mileage and is easy to handle and drive. It has the perfect amount of bed space as well as cab space for me. This truck is easy to work on and it's easy to find parts for which are inexpensive. The insurance is also low for a vehicle as well as the taxes and tags. It is so sound. I only wish there were more of them. The thing I did not like about this truck is how the seatbelts are. They are placed in a way that they cut across your neck and no kind of seatbelt comfort aid helps this. I put a clamp on mine at the part where it retracts.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota?

Original review: June 8, 2019

I have dealt with the Ganley (formerly Geller) dealership for 40 years. During that time the service department and sales consultants have for the most part been exemplary. I was distraught when my 2013 Scion XD was totaled by a driver running a red light. No one was injured or killed; however, I could barely think straight about a replacement car both with financing and the Scion's unavailability.

Sales consultant, Matt **, was outstanding and empathic about my situation. He is a star when it comes to following through with every detail. Dan **, John, and Mike ** are incredible in Service. All this dealership's mechanics also work on Mercedes as it is a dual dealership - a definite added advantage. Matt advised me that the 2019 CH-R XLE would be a great car for me and take away the sting of my losing my prior car. He was correct. The CH-R XLE has beautiful styling and has so many safety features that my car insurance rates went down. Ganley Toyota is a wonderful dealership and truly represents the Quality of the Toyota brand.

Original review: June 8, 2019

Contrast to common belief about Toyotas service excellence, I have had horrible experience despite being a Stern user of Toyota since long. They have denied the gear box replacement after 80K running and which is a clear fault which is covered in extended warranty. This clearly proves their commitment to service. This happened immediately after my Fortuner went for service and they put the blame on some rear which happened one year back and after that it has run 20000 kms. I would say please do not believe on their false commitment and customer centric claims as it does not hold ground. I am a customer in Gurgaon and going legal with them purely on technical grounds. We as consumers should not leave these manufacturers to do what they want to and strip our rights and rightful compensation after having paid for extra.

Original review: May 22, 2019

All cars from Toyota has dust rail for the cheap transportation. Before to buy one look it carefully. They dont care nothing about that so it's my worst experience about Toyota. The paint it's very bad....

Original review: May 21, 2019

I have a 2007 Toyota Prius six months after I found out that the combination meter has a recall. Toyota won’t honor their recall because it is past their timeframe. It is obvious that this is a Toyota problem; however, they do not want to stand by their product and replace the faulty item. It will cost me 600+ dollars to fix it, they do not replace the part but take the original part out of your car replaced the capacitor’s and send it back to the customer. All of that for $600. I will have to be without a vehicle for two weeks. When it gets hot outside the combination meter fails. When it is cold it works.

Original review: May 15, 2019

Went to my local dealer in San Luis Obispo after multiple hazard lights came on. The diagnosis: a failed inverter. The estimated cost: $5,000. The car has 96,000 miles, so it falls well within the warranty mileage. My problem: It is three months past the warranty expiration date. Looking on multiple chat boards, it seems that most inverter problems have to do with the coolant system. A friend who thoroughly knows cars, including Priuses, said it is very rare for inverters to fail altogether. Plus, the mileage isn't high enough. Don't know whether to trust the dealer's diagnosis and plan to take it to a repair shop not affiliated with Toyota. Also, hope to get a reconditioned inverter if that is, in fact, the issue. Don't think I'll be buying any more Priuses, or Toyotas in general.

Original review: May 7, 2019

$3k ABS failure. 2 months out of government mandated warranty ext. Toyota has a reputation for reliability that couldn't be farther from the truth. From gas pedals sticking causing accidents, frames rusting into nothing barely out of warranty, hybrid batteries catching fire, and my personal experience ABS Actuator failing causing brake failure with my family in the car. Toyota after being forced by the NHTSA to recall 2006-07 Highlanders and 08-09 Camry skated extending that recall to 2008-10 Highlanders due to lower sales numbers and failure rates caused by our countries recession then. Supporting a company by buying vehicles from a company that conducts business this way is a mistake that misleads us all. Stay away from Toyota for the safety of your loved ones.

Original review: May 6, 2019

2013 Toyota Camry - less than 23,000 mile - Steering Column must be replaced. Dealer has provided details. I have been told a decision has been made... no return calls. Refusal to allow me to speak w/ Mgr.

Original review: May 2, 2019

Well, it is a Toyota so I bought a 2019 Avalon XLE Hybrid primarily for its reliability. However, it has two major flaws. Firstly, it is supposed to provide 43 mpg, but actually it is a lot less. Currently, it is 34.6 mpg. Secondly, for a pretty luxurious car I expected it to have all the safety features for which Toyota is famous. Unfortunately, it turned out that it is missing Intelligent Clearance Sonar and Parking Assist. When I called Toyota and asked if these features could be installed, I was told that it was too complicated. Big disappointment.

Original review: April 24, 2019

Purchased my Tundra new in 2002. I cared for this truck inside and out except when it came to my rusted and unsafe frame. My truck is in excellent mechanical condition and I get a lot of compliments on its appearance. Everything works great with 107,000 miles logged. My mechanic says he probably will not be able to pass the truck for inspection within a year or so. His advise, get rid of it and trade it in. I usually like to sell my trucks outright but he says that I will create a bad situation to sell it to a friend or a private party.

So, I have driven Toyota cars all my life and I really take care of them. There is nothing wrong with this truck! Because of the safety issue I will need to trade my vehicle (while I still can) on years before I should need to. Toyota claims there is nothing they can do and it's my problem. Bottom line, I will never purchase or lease another Toyota vehicle and will let my children, friends and others know. Bad customer service! Toyota has lost a customer(s) for life. Penny wise and dollar foolish.

Original review: April 22, 2019

Unfortunately a header cracked in our Highlanders engine and caused the entire engine to blow at less than 84,000 miles. As the mechanic at the Toyota dealership put it, "This shouldn't have happened." After contacting the Customer Experience Department I was told that financial assistance in these situations is based upon customer loyalty and service records. We own a second Toyota that was purchased at a Toyota dealership a few years prior to our Highlander.

Additionally, I offered to provide my service records but the Customer Experience Department already decided they weren't going to help us recover any of the loss. The cost to replace the engine was $7,500. Toyota could have easily offered to pay $2,000 of the cost and kept me as a customer but apparently making intelligent business decisions is not a top priority for the Customer Experience Department. In total I gave Toyota over $60,000 for two automobiles in the last 7 years. My wife and I are in our 30's which means we will probably purchase another 10 cars in our lifetime. If half of those were Toyota's at an average cost of $30,000, that is $150,000 in revenue they just gave up because they refuse to assist a loyal customer. Congratulations Toyota, I will never buy another one of your automobiles again! You have officially lost me as a customer for life.

Original review: April 11, 2019

I placed a complaint regarding a warranty on my 2019 Tundra. After 3000 miles rotors had to be grinded. Have place multiple calls to case manager. Toyota system rigged up to when they call you they only leave a message and you are not ever able to talk to them. Have asked to talk to supervisors. No luck. I get better service at Joe's Service station.. Totally sucks that company this large not able to address problems. Been on phone for over 4 hours total. TOTALLY SUCKS. WILL BE A SERIOUS CONSIDERATION FOR NEXT TRUCK. ** TOYOTA!!!!

Original review: April 9, 2019

Ever since I bought my new 2018 Toyota Highlander last August I’ve been accumulating an unreasonable amount of paint chips. I ordered Toyota’s touchup paint after my first service visit however, it was too cold to apply at the time. Since then I’ve accumulated over seventy paint chips mostly on the front of my car. The chipping is only on the metal parts not any of the plastic parts. I took my car to the Toyota dealer with my concerns and their Service Manager told me to call corporate Toyota. My Case Manager there opened a case and then told me to call the Toyota dealer for further instructions. I called their Service Manager and was told to take my car to a body shop and get an estimate. I took it to the closest body shop and they said it appeared the paint was applied “soft” then he gave me an estimate.

A couple days later my Toyota Case Manager called again and told me the Dealer should’ve sent me to a specific auto body shop because they needed paint tests done. She sent me to a Toyota certified body shop where the owner took my car into their shop and looked it over. He then walked me over to another Highlander that had 52,000 miles to compare, there weren’t any paint chips on it. The shop owner told me there is an “excessive amount of paint chips for a car of my age and mileage”.

Long story short my Toyota Case Manager called and said there is nothing they can do for me because all the paint tests were within a normal range. My car was purchased in August of 2018 and is only 7 months old and already needs a new paint job. The paint chips started when I bought the car and every day I drive it I accumulate even more paint chips. I now have a seven month old car that already need a new paint job. Despite two separate body shops saying this is not normal Toyota says it is normal and refuses to do anything about it.

Original review: April 3, 2019

Honestly I am not very satisfied with the change of vehicle I made since the car for which I made the change was in perfect condition - a Corolla of 2014 with only 21000 miles to get the new RAV4 Limited of 2019 and not even have a month and already have to change the differential sincerely and I'm not very happy with this new SUV. Would have preferred to stay with my Corolla in the end. Did not give me problems all the time I was driving

Original review: March 22, 2019

I have owned 5 different Toyotas for over 20 years and can not believe what corporate told me about my 2018 automatic transmission problem. Because I live in Wisconsin we can have problems with tires spinning on snowy days. Toyota said that because my car's front tires spun and the back tires did not move that the broken transmission was my fault. It has less than 25000 miles and should have been covered under their bumper to bumper warranty. They say they will pay for the transmission BUT I must pay for the labor cost of over $800. All sounds fishy to me. On top of it Toyota corporate says that if the same conditions occur in the future I should call for a tow and not spin tires at all!

They say they will deny any future claim, under the same circumstances, as they are this one. They, also, could not (or would not?) tell me what part of the transmission is broken. I plan on going on social media to warn any potential owners of 2018 and beyond Toyota autos with automatic transmission, if you live in cold climates please think twice about buying one of their cars. It could be a crap shoot for you!

Original review: March 19, 2019

Great car! But Toyota does not manufacture the this model. If Toyota did, I would buy another one. The MR2 is fantastic, mine is 15 yrs old. The car is a convertible, manual transmission, 2 seater.

Original review: March 19, 2019

Toyota had a recall on the passenger airbag of some of their vehicles. My Toyota Corolla was one of them. I was to take my Toyota to my nearest Toyota dealer for an airbag replacement. I did so promptly. The issue is that I had to travel 280 km (return) as well as take 4 hours out of my day. I believe that I should be compensated for my time and mileage because it was not my fault that the air bag was faulty. I have contacted Toyota's customer service department but they have refused any compensation whatsoever. I do believe this is totally unfair and I am more than disappointed. I used to hear nothing but great things about Toyota's customer service but I have now had two unsatisfactory incidents with Toyota, neither of which was my doing. I must say, I was very pleased with the customer service that I received from the installer of the airbag, the Toyota Northwest Edmonton dealer.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I purchased a 2018 Toyota Highlander Ltd Platinum from Classic Toyota in Tyler Texas. My Toyota purchased was based on commercial and current owner reviews. Other than the “color transfer” issue (dyes from my years old and routinely washed scrubs and jeans coming off on the leather seats), I’ve been relatively happy with the car. The thing that has driven me crazy are the electronics. I came from a BMW, that was too small and uncomfortable, but drove great and I guess I got spoiled by their electronics. I could have 2 phones connected and receive calls on either of them on Bluetooth. Not on the Highlander (JBL GreenEdge). It takes 5 or 6 button pushes (while I’m driving!) to change from one paired phone to another. It also occasionally just drops the phone in the middle of a call and I have to reconnect.

The weather app also is rudimentary, at best. It never gives me the weather for the area I’m in. If I’m in downtown Dallas, it gives me the weather for Terrell, TX (40 miles away, a 10th the size of Dallas, and a town I’ve never looked up on my weather app)!!! I called Entune (a cumbersome worthless app IMHO) support. She was very pleasant, but completely useless. She looked at the manual. I read the manual! I needed more! Apparently Toyota doesn’t offer more than a crappy inefficient app, bad connectivity, and a GPS (for the weather) that hopefully doesn’t have to ever locate you in case of an accident!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

White Pearl Paint peeling off vehicle in sheets. Due to factory faulty issues with primer that was used. Lots of people are having this issue with that. And sadly Toyota is not willing to admit to the factory problem with the primer. Never again.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

Brought my Toyota Prius plug in premium in for 6 mo. ToyotaCare. Told it would be ready at noon, it's now after 3 and still not ready. I'm 90 and disabled. Need to go to CVS for RX, Called 3 times. Just told they would call when car is ready. ALWAYS POOR SERVICE FROM HANLEES SERVICE DEPT. Don't even answer their phone at times.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I can't begin to tell you enough about how awesome this car is. It is fun to drive, easy to maintain, and every single functioning piece of equipment is of the best quality I have ever owned. I have all the Toyota Camry in the past and it was awesome as well. The only thing that this car could not withstand was one time when I was unfortunately stuck up on a block ice and snow that the plows left on the road on an exit ramp in the dark. Somehow when I hit the snowbank a sensor fell off the bumper but it remained dangling inside the bumper for a very long time whilst I tried to figure out why my car was not running right. All I had to do was snap the sensor back in the bumper and my entire vehicle runs like new again. The strange thing was that the misplaced sensor caused my engine to idle rough and not give enough air to the engine.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I received my Toyota Yaris 2007 (sedan) as a Christmas gift while in High school in 2010. At the time it only had 26k miles on it, now it has 185k and shows no signs of giving out. Between high school, college, road trips, and long daily commutes, I have put this car through the wringer! Outside of routine oil changes, I haven’t had to spend much on maintenance. I have had to replace the belts a few times, brakes twice (first shop did it wrong and did not even replace nor check the rear brakes), and now it needs a new wheel bearing. I would say that’s pretty good for such a small car with high mileage. I am now looking for another car because I have a little one and the compact size does not agree with a growing toddler. But I won’t be trading in this car. I’ll be passing it down to my niece. Toyota really does prioritize dependability!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

My complaint: The issue of tan color leather seats and dye transferring. Toyota being aware of the issue and not standing behind their product. I recently purchased a 2016 Toyota Avalon. At the time of purchase I purchase the extended. During the first two weeks I noticed that the tan leather seats were changing colors. On the seat and up by the shoulders and in the driver's seat were dark. I reached out to customer service Nationally and locally for assistance on this issue. I was informed that this is what Toyota call transferring. Which means that the dye from the clothing that I was wearing was transferring onto the leather seats.

I was contacted by the local service manager at Sunnyside Toyota who informed me that they would do a one-time courtesy cleaning of the leather seats. She informed me this is not a Toyota issue. It was the clothing industry issue. I explain that the leather had not been treated properly because dye should not be transferring that easily to this leather and I wanted to bring the car back. Her reply was, "Cars are not like an item you purchase at Target. You can't just return it." She suggested that I trade in the car or I could possibly buy seat covers. Seat covers to cover the leather seats in my car... When I asked if they, the dealership, carry the seat covers she suggested I buy them aftermarket but I needed to be sure that I purchased seat covers that allowed for the airbags in my car. My issue with this whole matter is if your company is aware of this issue why haven't they did anything to correct or resolve the matter.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

So, I brought a brand new Toyota Highlander 2017 in Louisiana. About half a year later, my family and I moved to Indiana. That when we start to go to local dealership to get our car check for every 5,000 miles. After about the fifth time we go there, they told us that the nitrogen metal valve stem caps have melted or got stuck in the tire so they can't get the tire pressure reading. They told us that we have to pay $600 to get THREE of them fixed. But that is just straight up dumb, the warranty should have paid for it.

We have a 3 year warranty on the car. But, they were just repeating themselves and not offering any help. They were saying how Toyota doesn't put metal valve stem caps in their cars and they put plastic caps so it don't cease. They told us that we have to call the dealership that we brought it from to tell them about it and what to do. Well, we called the dealership and they said that they do put metal valve stem caps, but it is insulated so it don't get stuck in the tire. Pretty much both dealerships were being jerks and not admitting whose fault it is and making us pay $600 while it was clearly one of them's fault. It was a terrible experience.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

When The air is turned on I hear a very high pitched noise that comes from the blower motors of the car. I took it to go get looked at and another car on the lot was making the same noise so they said it is just a noise that the car makes. I wish I would have heard the noise before I bought the car. Now I’m stuck with it.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Horrible customer service. This is the worst Toyota site to come to. No one offered us a chair. We have been standing here looking stupid for more than 20 mins. All the workers are sitting down at their computers doing absolutely “NOTHING”!!!! I’ve watched a woman back up out of a space and hit a Mercedes twice and none of the workers went to help direct her out of the space. The one guy that walked up and pretended to be helpful and told me where we should park never came back to help us. I will never be coming back here. With his ** looking like looking & talking like Carlton from Fresh Prince of Bel Air THIS PLACE SUCKS!!!

Toyota Company Information