4.1/5 (509 ratings)
Get Pricing  on Carvana

About Toyota

Toyota is a Japanese car manufacturer that makes cars, trucks, SUVs and hybrids. Read reviews for their models:

Toyota Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota?

Original review: Nov. 11, 2022

Problem! Everything is great until you run into any sort of a problem. If you need the dealership to fix a mistake on their end or on Toyota's end, GOOD LUCK!!! I have a issue with my 2022 Toyota Tacoma. The issue is with the brake pedal. There seems to be zero concern about the issue or my safety! :-( The dealership where the vehicle was purchased is not helping at all (Bob Tyler Toyota, Pensacola, FL), and I am receiving very little help from Toyota! OMG!!! The situation is extremely frustrating. God forbid you run into an issue and need them to back their product. I don't think there is a plan for that in place.

Get buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2022

I leased a vehicle with this company and bought it with cash. We unfortunately lost the title for the vehicle in the midst of moving. I have spent HOURS on the phone trying to obtain a duplicate title and it has been impossible to obtain. Every phone call yields a 30-45 minute wait (if not longer), and every customer service representative provides different answers to my questions. The registration in my old state is now expired and I still can't obtain a title to register my car where I live because of Toyota's incompetency. I will never lease a vehicle from this company again.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2022

In 2011 I purchased a Toyota Camry from this location. At the time I inquired about the dashboard being sticky and was told by the salesperson that damage had been done to it by previous owners. When I found out recently there was a warranty extension and brought it to Ryan **'s attention general manager of Lakewood Ranch Gettel Toyota he responded this way

1. I wasn't the here at the time of sale.

2. The warranty wasn't in effect at time of sale.

3. Obviously the salesperson lied to you. Do you believe everything is salesperson says? I don't and I am one.

4. You're outside of the warranty extension time period.

5. You know it was fixed that problem a new car come down and let me make you a deal.

6. Give me $1,600 and I'll fix your dash.

7. You should have enrolled in our service program then it would have gotten fixed. If you're not in the program why would I do anything for you.

8. Actually there was an awareness campaign and we were trained to look for this defect.

9. Our service department was reaching out to customers who had this problem potentially in order to get them in to fix it.

10. Our technicians aren't trained to look for cosmetic defects.

11. We don't do warranty upsells not sure how that plays into number 9.

12. When you came in to get your AC replaced my technicians would have had latex on making everything they touch sticky so they wouldn't have noticed a problem when they took your dash off and no one would have done a thorough report.

13. Since you've had it this long why not just keep going with the problem

14 I'll do the install if you buy the dashboard from me

15. Why did it take you so long to bring it up?

16. The only way my technicians can fix a problem like that is if you Google it or research it yourself then come in and mention it that would allow us to fix it under the warranty extension. Otherwise we wouldn't have mentioned it

17. We sent a letter informing you of this (this letter apparently went to the wrong address. I never saw it. When questioned they indeed had the wrong address although their sales department sent hundreds of advertisements to the correct address for purchases of new vehicles). Mr ** stated, "Yeah our sales department is up on all of the current addresses, our warranty department is not."

In 2014 two class action lawsuits were filed against Toyota for melting dashboards. The company apparently was aware all the way back in 2005 that this was an issue. The national highway transportation and safety administration recognize this as an issue with specifically Toyota Camrys. News agencies across the state of Florida did investigative reports on this issue all prior to 2015 which is the time I purchased my vehicle. The warranty extension wasn't effect and appears as though would have been an effect all the way through 2020. Toyota was also admonished for charging customers exorbitant fees to repair the dash when they knew it was a manufacturing defect along with delaying repairing the dashboards due to an inventory shortage according to the lawsuits.

Mr ** appears to be more interested in selling new cars than the safety of his customers as outlined in several class action lawsuits and the national highway transportation and safety administration. If you're in a position like this do not feel as though you have to purchase a new vehicle look at the facts check everything that you're being told. There may be a good possibility that you're able to get this problem fixed free of charge. I will continue to press Ryan ** to abide by the warranty extension program is 160 Point vehicle inspection at time of sale Southeast Toyota's guidelines for financing a vehicle informing on social media and consumer websites as well as regulatory agencies that would have oversight over this kind of behavior.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2022

We accidentally stopped automatic payment half year before. Now we call and mail form to Toyota Financial Services, unfortunately, almost 6 months we called and sent forms to them, but it still doesn’t work. We are exhausted to contact them less three times every month. Why so difficult to set up an auto pay?

Original review: May 23, 2022

I bought my car used from another dealership and they were happy to show me the features of my car. They also helped me figure out the original warranty that was purchased for it and make sure that my services were covered by it.

Original review: April 27, 2022

I purchased a brand new 2014 Toyota Corolla Feb. 26, 2015. I also bought a seven year/75,000 mile platinum warranty, that states that repairs to the engine will be made even after the warranty expires. My car has only 59,000 miles on it. On April 20, 2022, my engine suddenly failed. Both Toyota Inc. and the dealer, Thurston Toyota in Ukiah, CA, had the discretion to honor my warranty and they would not. These companies are employing unethical business practices to the consumer. I have maintained my car by the book and can verify that. Is there a way that I can get my warranty honored?

Original review: April 5, 2022

I purchased a Toyota Venza March of 2021. Love the car -- it is a Hybrid and gets great gas mileage. As we are approaching the 1 year mark, I have received notification that the Toyota App will now be an $8 monthly charge to use the Remote Connect. I am shocked. My husband has a Ford F150 and the Ford app is free to remote start his truck. I can afford to pay but that is not the point. I am not speaking to a person (who has a salary) but using technology, which should be free. I am very disappointed and wish I had looked elsewhere for my vehicle.

Original review: March 8, 2022

Like to file a complaint. I want to pay in full for the past 1 month and they will not tell me how in need to pay. The car was 29,000. I put 5000 down payment and after 1 month I told them I would like to pay in full. They are saying I owe the 29,000.

Original review: March 7, 2022

UPDATED 03/07/2022: I purchased a new 2017 Rav4 from Toyota of Rock Hill. One of the freebees we were offered was “free oil changes for the first 30,000 miles”. This was really an oil change at 10,000 miles and one at 20,000 miles. At 10,000 miles I took my new Toyota in and had the oil changed. I was working for the public schools at the time and the automotive shop teacher told me I did not want to change the oil on the recommended 10,000 miles, that I should change the oil at 3,000 or 5,000 miles as I had always done.

Toyota of Rock Hill refused to change the oil “early”, so at 15,000miles, I changed the oil myself. I drained oil and I removed the oil filter. The oil filter was packed, I repeat packed with dirt and sand! I’m not sure how this could have happened by accident. I could not have offended anybody in the shop. I did not come into contact with anybody at all… At 20,000 miles I again changed the oil and the filter was very clean. I do not know why this happened, but I will never let any Toyota service department touch another vehicle of mine again.

ORIGINAL REVIEW: I have purchased many new Toyotas over the past 25 years. The autos have been great. 2004 Solaria, 2006 Solaria, 2006 Rav4 and a 2017 Rav4. I drove the Solaria for 450,000 miles total and the 2006 Rav4 is coming up on 200,000 miles. The newest Rav4 will turn 40,000 miles soon. No mechanical problems of any kind on the older Toyotas. The new 2017 Rav4 had some issues.

The one major problem has been with the new tires that came on the two new Rav4s. The tires were manufactured by Yokohama and have had a number of problems. On the 2006 Rav4 the tires did not last. Maybe 30,000 was all. After several calls Yokohama I was told by somebody on the executive staff that “We can manufacture better tires but we manufacture these tires to Toyota’s specifications.” The Toyota dealer would not stand behind the tires even though we purchased a warrantee package which cost the equivalent of a set of four tires $600. The 2017 Rav4 had a flat spot or broken belt on one of the four tires. The dealer would not stand behind the problem. Four years and 40,000 miles later and the Rav4 still makes a loud vump, vump, vump noise. It has really gotten under my skin!

A second major issue with the 2017 Rav4 is the automatic radar braking.
    • Moving through traffic at speed limit speeds if you try to pass a car and come close to the vehicle, sometimes the radar will engage the brakes unexpectedly. It may even brake very hard.
    • Trying to pass a car on a two-lane highway when you come close to the vehicle, the brakes may come on unexpectedly. It may brake very hard. This is very dangerous if there is a car coming at you in the other lane. You can’t pass the car you were trying to pass and you may be stopped by the oncoming car as well.
    • If you are going around a curve and there is a guard rail next to the road the brakes may come on unexpectedly. If you are on a slippery road the back end will kick out and the car will spin!

• If you are on a hilly road the radar may see the hill as a solid object the brakes will come on unexpectedly. Unexpected braking in heavy traffic may get your Rav4 rear ended.

The problems are even worse if you use the cruise control. I never use the cruise control at all, it is just too dangerous. I talked with the dealer many times about the problems and the dealer pooh poohed the issues and refused to write up the problem.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2022

After 500 miles of nice quiet motor started to notice slight ticking/rattle noise. The more miles that were driven the louder the noise /rattle become, especially when it's cold. Pulled up to my bank drive-thru and they asked what the noise was and did I buy a diesel. Truck only has 2800 miles on it and already took it to 2 different Toyota dealers only for them to say that it was a high-pressure fuel pump and no way to fix it. Why if this is how it's supposed to be was it such a nice quiet truck when I 1st bought it. Almost 3000 miles later and I'm totally ashamed to drive it. If a fuel pump comes into my repair shop sounding like that I replace them and customer is happy. I've owned Toyota's for over 20 years will never buy another one. Buyer Beware!

Toyota Company Information