Sears Auto and Tire
  • 1 star
Based on 434 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Sears Tire & Auto Centers

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 2, 2017

774 Sears Auto and Tire Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

I'm having a BIG problem with the Sears Auto Center here in Clovis, CA. I moved here from Boise. Idaho April 1, 2017 and before Idaho I lived in Phoenix, Arizona (husband in the United States Navy). I bought an alternator for my 2005 F350 diesel truck from you guys almost 2 years ago and had you install it. You guys installed the wrong one the first time (an alt. For a dual alt. Set up which I do not have) and fried my batteries, FICM (Fuel Injection Control Module) and obviously the alternator. 1.5 years ago I bought the truck to your Boise, Idaho location when this happened (that’s where the military moved us to). Boise location comped my batteries (since I chose to pay for my FICM myself because I wanted an aftermarket one) and put the correct alternator in my truck.

My alternator failed last week and stranded me with my 85 year old grandfather 300 miles from home. I called my local sears and the manager was a total jerk to me and would not honor the warranty even though he stated it was still valid. He stated he would not honor the warranty because the last sears didn't put notes in the account stating they installed it even though he has record of ALL of the purchases including that one. I called corporate and they assured me they would fight to get the alternator I had to buy so I could get home reimbursed and have the District Manager call me within 24-48 hours. This was 11/27. I've called 3 times now and been given the run around and still haven't been contacted by ANYONE. I have spent a lot of money with Sears over the years as my account will reflect and I would like to continue to do so however if this matter isn't resolved I will never step foot in Sears again.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

On Sunday, November 26, 2017 I took my car to Sears because the battery was dead. They sold me a battery. Then they told me that the alternator was defective. It was Sunday, I needed the car and they could do the work immediately. In this situation, rather than waiting to take my car to a trusted mechanic, I had them install a new alternator. On Monday, November 27 I noticed that there was a large puddle of water under the car. I took the car back to Sears. They told me that they could find no leak, and that the water must have been from another car parked in that spot before me. On Tuesday November 28 first thing in the morning, there was another puddle of water under my car.

I took car back to Sears, and this time they told me that the leak was at the connection where the hoses connect to the radiator. They told me that they could not repair it. They also told me that I now needed a new radiator! I told them that I have owned this car for 15 years, always parked it on my concrete driveway, and there has NEVER been a leak on the driveway before! It seems quite a coincidence that less than 24 hours after Sears installed a new alternator, there is a problem with the radiator.They told me that, yes it was quite a coincidence that the radiator connection was leaking. But it could not possibly have been created by them. Not possible!

Later today, I took the car to a trusted mechanic. He told me that when Sears installed the alternator, they pressed down on the top of the radiator, and that was the cause of the damage. Easy to understand since the alternator is less than 5" from the radiator, and the belt driving the alternator is even closer! Tomorrow my trusted mechanic will begin the process of attempting a repair, but they advise me that the entire radiator may have to be replaced as a result of the poor craftsmanship of Sears installing the alternator.

Does anybody out there really believe that this problem occurred less than 24 hours after Sears serviced the car, and it has nothing to do with the work that they did? That it was "not possible" that they did anything that could have caused the problem. By the way, both yesterday and today when I was in the Sears Auto Service Center THERE WAS NOT A SINGLE OTHER CAR IN THERE FOR SERVICE. Imagine that, about 20 bays with car lifts and NO CARS! It looks like I am one of the last folks to learn what a terrible service provider they really are! I spent over $500.00 on a new battery and rebuilt alternator, and I bet they won't even be in business in a few months!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I bought new tires from the Glendale Sears Automotive less than 4 years ago. The tires have a 70K mile warranty. After driving less than 25K the rear back tire looked low so I put some air in it. About 10 days later I drove another car for a couple of days and when I returned to my car, the tire looked a little low again. I put air in and went to Sears to have it checked out.

I walked in and there were no other customers. Four sears employees were at the desk and it literally took 10 minutes for them to help me. I went out with a women to check out the car and she said that I didn't buy my tires from them. They would never sell me such a crappy tire. She said the sidewalls of the tires were all cracked and falling apart. I insisted that I bought them there and we went in and checked the computer. Yep! Purchased at Sears... In Glendale. When the information was confirmed she started to back peddle and blame me for the damage to the tire saying they really were a good tire and I just drove around on flat tires and that caused the damage. REALLY???

Her assessment was I needed new tires. I asked her if they would be prorated because of the warranty and she said they would not be because the tread of the tire was still good. BUT THE TIRE IS CRACKING AND FALLING APART!!! Which once again she said was my fault. I left and will never return to Sears for any car needs. Bottom line: Sears (Glendale, CA) sold me a crappy tire (buy their own admission) and they do not stand behind their products and warranties. Proceed at your own peril if you read this review and continue to do business with this location. I don't know about other Sears location, I can only speak about my experience with this one.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I brought my car in for air conditioning. I finally got it after they were technically closed and drove home. I noticed the trunk wasn't closed tight so I opened it and it had been accessed by them. I just fixed it and they had no reason to go into my trunk. Then I noticed my tools that were in there were missing. It was a whole set hardly ever used. I went into the car again and noticed the turn signal arm was not able to move. I had no problem with it before. I called the shop and they would not repair the car and said it was an insurance settlement. The insurance company who called three days later was Sedgwick in Chicago. He denied all claims and we had words and he hung up. When I looked at the paperwork I noticed Sears backdated it three days to disallow a rescission on my part which is illegal.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

I scheduled an appointment online (confirmation # **). The online tool asked for my license plates and found my exact car model correctly (Audi), asked me for oil options to select from, pricing, etc. Then it send confirmation of my appointment by email. I arrived at the Sears Auto Center on time, just to learn that they do not do Audi. I drove 22 miles and spend time and gas on it. Shame Sears! Sears Auto Center (#2678). The store manager there is Burt **.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sears?

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

I made an appointment on Sep. 8, 2017 online to have some work done on my Tahoe. Saturday at Sep. 9, 2017 at 08:20 I received a call from 804-378-3083. It was Sears Automotive asking if they can reschedule my appointment for 16:00 on the same day. I agreed but didn't have the warm and fuzzy feeling after talking to the young lady on phone. Now I live in Portsmouth, VA about 2 hrs give or take from the Midlothian Sears and the person I talked to knew where I lived because he remembered me from the tires back in March of this year.

I drove the distance because my truck need servicing and the two Sears in my area had no appointments. But when I get up the counter he asked me what I'm having done. I said balancing and rotation and before I could say oil change he cut me off and said "we don't have time. You need to reschedule". I said, "My name is on your appointment board." He said, "I know, but you made your appointment online and the system is messing up." I said, "Wait Sears called me and rescheduled my appointment 4 pm." He said, "Can you come in doing the week?" I reminded him I live in Portsmouth. He said, "Sorry." I said, "If you can call me to reschedule my appointment, why couldn't Sears called me to tell me." They couldn't get to me. This is not the type of service I would expect from a place like Sears. I was offered NOTHING in return. No discount on future services, head of the line on a return day.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

Approximately two months ago I had my front brakes worked on at Sears Auto Center at Washington Square in Portland Oregon. Today is Sunday September 3, 2017. My appointment was for 10:00 AM. I arrived and checked in. About 11:20 I received a call from Sears. I went to pick up my car and started to talk with the agent who handled the process. He stated that the brakes were good. I stated that the rotors had grooves in them and that is not normal. He stated that cars have grooves in their rotors because of normal wear. He also mentioned that going downhill heat the rotors and cause the grooves. I stated to him that I had been driving the same road for 5 years and the rotors before did not have any grooves in them. I left disappointed with his analysis of the situation.

Original review: July 29, 2017

Great team! Nikki And Sly was great. I didn't have an appointment but Nikki told Sly to write me a ticket and put it on the board. I waited two hours which wasn't a problem because Nikki told me about two/three hours. The tech Marcus called me out to back and showed me a few problems with my vehicle that I will correct with y'all and another shop.

Original review: July 28, 2017

On July 21st 2017 I took my Toyota Sienna in for AC recharge but I didn't know that it had a leak so they charge my car. It was working fine until today July 28th 2017. I drove the car today on July 28th 2017 turn on my air conditioner and it will just blowing hot air. So I call Sears Auto Center on Rice Street in St Paul about the warranty and he said that the warranty don't cover cause my car had some sort of issue. So I told him why did you guys even charge me money when my car had a leak. The manager over there say that there was no way to find out there was a leak so they won't do nothing. The manager said if I want another recharge it will cost me $130 again. I will never ever step foot into a Sears again. It has bad customer service.

Original review: July 17, 2017

I am very pleased with my visit to Sears Auto Service in Braintree, MA. Frank **, Assistant Auto Center Manager, was very thoughtful in providing me with excellent service. I had previously had my brakes replaced not even two years ago at another Sears and they needed to be fixed again. Frank had my warranty extended and proceeded to fix my brakes the right way. I cannot say enough about the excellent service I received from Frank and his crew at Sears Auto Service in Braintree, MA.

Original review: July 1, 2017

Sears Auto Center 6343 E. Southern Ave Mesa, AZ 85206 - There were so many things to complain about. Where do I begin? The wait for service was very long and they didn't seem to care much for the customer service aspect of the job. I came in to fix my check engine problem. I had the paperwork from my failed inspection. My main goal was to fix my engine problem causing the check engine light to go on. I provided them with the codes from my failed inspection report. I was charged a diagnostic fee of 89.99 and wasn't given any printout of what was the mechanic's diagnosis? I was shown broken parts and told what the problem was and that they were ordering the parts, given a price, and also added my front brakes to the list of repair. Three hours later I called to check up on my car because it was getting close to closing time. I was assured by the mechanic it would be ready prior to closing.

The service member told me that the wrong parts were ordered and that the mechanic glued/somehow repaired broken plastic parts that earlier, I was told were not repairable! That didn't give me much confidence in the repair. The servicemen tried to charge me almost $90.00 for my rotors and nothing was done to them. He said, "We charge even if we don't need to resurface them"?? Charge for doing nothing... Strange!! I was assured I could pass inspection now and told to drive it around a bit prior to going to inspection! I am out a bunch of money, my car repair is still not done, and I still can't register my car because the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT is on again!!! I have no printout about what was diagnosed and I still need to repair my car and I'm out hundreds of dollars!! What did I pay for???

Original review: June 17, 2017

Ok I found some tires at a great price at Sears.com and to get that price it says you have to order them online so I did. Everything looked good. I put order in, they immediately took my hard earned money outta my account. So fast I had to double check to make sure. It said I had an appointment the next day to be there at 1100am.

Well I called this morning and they have no record of an order so I call customer service and they said yeah it's a computer glitch and they know about it. And I'd have to cancel order and reorder. So I said, "Look lady I don't have another $600 to dish out again. How about giving my money back?" Well they took it outta my account in 1.3 milliseconds but it's gonna take more than 72 hours to get it back to me. 72 hours? So now I'm out $600, no tires and no order.

I've got the email with the confirmation order number and I think they should be trying very hard to figure out how to take care of me cause I'm the customer. Can you believe she wanted me to give them another $600? Wow. How does a huge company like Sears have such an easy manageable problem that could easily be fixed. And if you can only get that sale price ONLINE then that would be top priority to make sure it works properly. Now they are saying you have to get an alignment but if you go to Sears.com and search tires, there's NOT one statement about getting an alignment on that web page and they also said you have to get installment fees to get that price which I did. It was Auto Rejected from what they said. Well if that's the case why did it take my money? It shouldn't have went thru right or the alignment should have been on the order right? Or it should have not taking the money the order and stated why?

FALSE advertising is bad business. They did finally tell me where the very small print was where you had to get the alignment but I had to really hunt for it and it is NOT on the web pages I went to. So wish me luck because now I'm having to wait 3 business days to get my money back so I can't drive anywhere now for 3 to 4 days. Thanks a lot Sears. You just lost a good paying customer.

Original review: June 10, 2017

I had the worst ever experience of any place at this so called business (Sears Auto Oakbrook, IL). It started with the attendant having ZERO business etiquette or mannerism when I needed details and ended up asking whether I should bring my defective "DieHard" battery detached or in the car. The answer was an unapologetic: "we cannot look at it in the car today, but if you detach it will take an hour to assess it!!!" I had paid the higher price for the GOLD version of this "DieHard" only two months earlier only to have it DIE on me THREE time over the course of the two months I owned it!!! Upon close inspection, I was astonished to finally find evidence of a leak/crack in the top of the battery!!! My experience is such defects are a sign of bad workmanship and the easiest ground for a return and especially that the receipt officially stated a 36-MONTHS exchange warranty.

To my extreme surprise and profound disappointment, the store manager REFUSED to return or exchange it stating that they do NOT return DAMAGED batteries!!! REALLY, bad workmanship is NOT a legitimate grounds for a return!!! What planet is SEARS Auto from!!! When I asked how can a DIE-HARD battery get so easily damaged with normal use, the manager started yelling at me and stated the same meaningless policy!!! After requesting him to lower his voice multiple times, I got so disgusted that I asked him if he could dispose it for me. I thought he was finally doing me a favor when I found through Walmart that there is a disposal fee for batteries!!! At this point, I made a point of going to Sears to ask why they did not bother to mention the disposal fee to me, the manager and attendant nonchalantly answered in a very rude snobbish manner that you get the disposal fee ONLY when you buy from them!!!

Did these folk think I am just not gonna buy another battery!!! So I asked, "why did you not bother informing me of this when I left the battery with you to dispose of it," at which point I was met with the deer-in-the-bright light blank look from the attendant and manager with ABSOLUTELY no apologies!!! In the end I demanded my defective battery back and got the disposal fee from Walmart!!! The sheer amount of disgusting disregard to customer service almost made me throw up so many times through this transaction!!! If this is truly how Sears' business practice is, namely total disregard to the customer, no wonder SEARS is going out of business all over the place as they truly do not deserve anybody's business behaving like this!!! Overall, I would have truly given them NEGATIVE or ZERO star rating at best if that option were available!!!

Original review: May 27, 2017

They didn't have any of the tires I wanted. They had three in stock for my vehicle. One in the price range I wanted to pay. They told me it would take one and a half to two hours. When I came back in two hours it took another 30 minutes. Also had to wait to get help. Though they are courteous they are incompetent and going here was a waste of my time.

Original review: May 23, 2017

So I have had so many problems with Sears Auto Center. It is hard to remember them all, but I will try. First experience I had with my car was several years ago, I had a simple oil change with my new vehicle, and they bent the oil pan, and my car was leaking. I did not find this out until bringing it to the dealership, this was never remedied by Sears.

I have had a lot of work done by Sears, and while sometimes they do a decent job, other times it is terrible. The next incident was with my wife's car a 2006 Pontiac G6. Her power steering stopped working on her vehicle. We took the vehicle to Sears and they quoted us a price for around $800. They "fixed" the vehicle and gave it back to us. The next day the car was still not working correctly. We took it back to have it checked again, and they said they fixed it this time and it should work.

The next day it malfunctioned again. At this point I was livid, I called and spoke with the manager he said to bring it in and he would have someone bring it to a dealership to have it checked out. We brought the vehicle to him, and a day later he said they checked it out and it was working fine. I asked what dealership they took it to, and he said he took it to a local shop and they checked it. We picked the vehicle up again, and before we made it to the house it malfunctioned again.

I called and had a very serious conversation with the manager again, explaining that this problem could get my wife hurt or killed in a accident. I told him I was taking it to a dealership to have it checked out myself. I took it to the dealership and learned that this part was under recall, and the dealership had to reinstall a new module and it was fixed now. I took the vehicle home and the next day went to Sears and demanded my refund. They complied but only after dealing with all these problems and time spent trying to fix it.

The next issue I had with Sears was early replacement of my parts in a short time period. I had brakes, and belts done at Sears and then less than 10K miles I had to replace both again. So either they were not replaced, the wrong parts were used or they were not installed properly. The next issue I remember was with my vehicle a 2005 Hyundai Accent, I was having issues with my struts. I was quoted a price just south of $1013 to replace the struts and also a tire that needed replacement.

They replaced the struts and the noise stopped for two days and then more noise started up. I brought the vehicle back to Sears and they looked at it and said they couldn't figure it out. I really couldn't listen to anything more they had to say and figured just like the last time they fixed something complicated they possibly messed it up. I took it to the dealership, told them what work was done. They looked at it and initially thought it was a suspension rod. After looking at it they found that the struts were not tightened properly. They tightened the struts and did some other unrelated work and didn't charge me to fix Sear's mistake.

Finally more recently the last time I will go to them, my wife's car's AC went out. We took it to Sears, they quoted us $15 AC check. They checked the vehicle and called us later in the day and said is was the fan, and it would cost about $800 to replace the fan. I decided we were not going to put more money into the vehicle and replace it. I went to pickup the vehicle they charged us $75.00 for the inspection. I took the vehicle and was going to trade it in. My brother in law convinced me to fix it and sell it private party. I took it to his mechanic, turned out the fan was not the problem at all. The system had a leak and the compressor was going out, had nothing to do with the fan. I would have wasted $800 for nothing, I do intend on calling Sears about this.

Original review: May 11, 2017

Do not get it. We bought 5 tires before we left in our RV. We had a blowout. If another car had not pulled up next to us and told us we were missing our tire. We would have never known and thank goodness he did. We were out in the boonies, had to call AAA. They had someone come out and change our spare and put it on. He recommended we go buy a spare because the other tires could be bad also. We did no Sears around. When we got back home we went to Sears to see if they would give us our money back for the tire. They said, "No." They wanted to give us a new tire that we do not need. We always buy our tires from Sears but this will be the last time we do.

Original review: April 27, 2017

Went into Sears in Bangor, ME yesterday with copy of battery warranty for a battery that we had gone into the Augusta, ME store and purchased and installed ourselves as car battery was dead. The new the battery was not installed by them and had our info on computer. My husband explained the battery would not hold a charge. He also told them we were not there for anything other than the battery and wanted nothing other than the battery checked or changed. They took the car in and a few min later he said there was a $20. fee. My husband said, "Is that to CHANGE THE BATTERY?" He said, "No to check it." Again my husband said, "I want NOTHING other than the battery checked / changed."

I came and put the charge on my credit card. As soon as I signed for charge the man handed my husband a slip that said the battery charge was very low but it was alright, said the alternator tested at 11 and it should be at 14. HELLO, what part of test battery only did they not understand? We had walked in and bought the battery and took it home and installed it when we bought it, the car was not there. Yesterday they said, "battery ok." Husband put the battery on charger and it started ANOTHER car 3 or 4 times then would not turn over at all. The battery is no good. This was an expensive Die Hard gold. 3 employees were standing around when this conversation was going on.

Afterwards when I asked about being charged for the printout of car after being told we were only there for the battery and then producing the printout that was done BEFORE payment they said that was the service. Then they could not find the paper I had given them with the battery info / purchase date / price. It had vanished into thin air. They said they couldn't find it on the computer?? Well the first person did. We have bought home appliances, tires, and ALWAYS batteries from Sears. I will probably complain to my bank about the charge but I will definitely NEVER do business with Sears again. Think this may be a scam??

Original review: April 22, 2017

11/19/2016 took my car to Sears auto center to have two front struts put on and alignment work done which took 3 hours to get done. A few months later my car was making a noise coming from the driver side. Took my car to a local garage I was told that the struts that Sears put on were bad. Took car back to Sears on 2/14/2017. Sears put car on lift and said it's not the struts that I needed a rack and pinion. Took car back to local garage for second opinion. Guy said that I don't need a rack and pinion and that both struts were bad. Back to sears I go. When I return to the auto center 2/19/2017 the manager was so rude and yelling at me, I left the auto center in tears. Went to another garage to get more opinions. 3 different garage said the struts were bad.

4/14/2017 back to Sears I go. This time I took a guy with me that knows about cars. when at sears I ask the guy to put car back on lift and show my friend where he sees that I needed a rack and pinion. The same store manager that I've been dealing with since I got struts put on is now saying that he never told me I needed a rack and pinion. When I had the paper with me saying I did, again the store manager was rude using foul language. When I ask for a complete refund, the manager told me when I return the struts 4/21/2017. I got 2 struts kit put on by friend which took him less than a hour to put on back to Sears to return the struts and manager kept telling me that the struts that Sears put on were not the same. Finally, after a hour, I got credit back all the money after 5 months of putting up with this bull crap. I will never ever return to Sears auto center in Exton PA.

Original review: April 7, 2017

On 9 December 2016 I purchased an auto battery. I installed the battery today 7 April 2017. The battery will not hold a charge. I brought the battery back to the store location: Sears Automotive Metro Parkway, Phoenix, Arizona. I asked for a pro-rated refund, or in the alternative an in-store credit. The manager was most disagreeable. Telling me that is my tough luck. No business is rich enough to treat customers so shabbily. As it stands, I have given Sears 133.00 of my hard earned money with no compensation for Sears defective battery which will not hold a charge. The solution according to accepted norms of good business practice would be to offer me a pro-rated refund, exchange, or in-store credit. I can well understand now why Sears an American retail institution is tottering on the edge of bankruptcy. Shame on Sears, for abandoning their long standing policy of customer satisfaction and goodwill.

Original review: March 19, 2017

On January 20, 2017 I purchased 4 tires that had a rebate. Here it is two months later and I am still waiting for my rebate. I purchased at Sears because of the nationwide network of stores if I should have any problem with the tires. Next time, I will probably go to Costco where you pay and receive your rebate immediately.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2017

I was given a quote by the manager on brakes but when I got there he said they wouldn't give a quote over the phone and refused to honor the given quote. I wasted my morning and ended up going somewhere else. Avoid this place at all costs. All Sears auto. This one is Exxon Pa.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2017

I purchased a set of Tires from Sears, I also paid for free lifetime rotation. I recently went to do a tire rotation and was told they could not do it because of tire wear and safety. Well that certainly was not explained to me when they took my money for the service. It was also less safe to not do the rotation and leave it like it is. I would highly recommend not buying tires from Sears because of their misleading rules.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2017

I have used this location since being told inaccurate things with my vehicle. First, I had my car fixed at a Nissan dealership and was told my cost would be cheaper if I purchased parts and had another shop put them on. I did just that with Sears. Since then, my vehicle has been back to them more than I've driven it. I told them what the problem was and showed them. Upon completion of the work, it ran fine each time for two days then all hell breaks loose. The same spot, area, and work supposedly done. Bring it back, it's another problem and each time they keep my car overnight. Due to disabilities, I can just run back to the shop but I take notes and pictures.

Last Friday, I took it back in for an oil leak that continued the day I got it back last time. Same loss of power, my antifreeze disappeared, my steering was still off, it kept turning off on me at lights where I almost got rear ended 3 times. My mileage speaks for itself. Now after this roundabout, my vehicle squeaks, chirps, idle runs at 1 or 2 when I had my idle relearned. Things are cracked and missing under my hood. Not to mention now my engine lifts again and slips. They said it was my power steering but I had no issue with it until they did work on it in Aug. 2016 and Dec. 2016. I did have oil stains in my garage and driveway. I was shown the fluid and it was constant with oil. However was told it was my power steering. Good thing that has a lifetime warranty but that was not the issue. (All work done by Nissan which I have no complaints about.) Each time the vehicle went in, something different and still paying over thousands of dollars for ** work.

I used this location since '98 until 2007 when I moved out of State. Came back after being jerked once. I figured go back to my roots and what I knew to be a class A Auto shop. I regret it. I never had so many problems with the same side of the vehicle when they supposedly did a full vehicle inspection and work. The vehicle is under warranty right now but afraid to take it back due ignorance and greed. I have given them 3 vehicles to work on and had two others for them. At this point, my family's safety comes first and I will not recommend them at all. When I picked up my car last, the Manager and could be asst. Manager gave me the look of, we messed up and we still didn't do the job. They put their heads down in shame and could not look at me. Pitiful.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2017

I am a former loyal Sears customer- I had 4 new tires, alignment and oil change on December 21 at the Sears in the Berkshire Mall in Lanesboro, MA. I had received a "Buy 3 get 1 free" tire email on December 12, and there were coupons at the service desk and customer waiting area for the same deal. Got my tires, etc and paid nearly $1000- and was told that the "Buy 3" offer had expired, and that they would neither honor the coupons nor the email deal. I was furious! I asked why the coupons were out all over the place if they were expired, and if they were not planning on honoring them. The man at the desk simply replied, "I don't know." I have done EVERY oil change, tire service, etc with this store since I bought my car in 2011. I will NEVER go back there. EVER.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

11//14/16 I purchased tires online (with help from your "ask an expert" button since make: Van G3500 not on online form). I had your online site up on the computer at the same time I was getting help from your online expert. The expert told me what tires I needed. I plugged it into the online form (since I did already have it up while we were discussing my needs), and then paid for my order $545.56. When my tires came in and were installed on 11/19/16 they credited my card $11.34 for what I did not know?. I did not even see this credit until after my tires were installed. No auto service agent ever mentioned what this credit was for? Later, I called about it and was told it was a refund for all the valve stems that were never replaced? Not my choice.

A few days later I noticed my driver's side tire was low. I pulled into a gas station to check it. I noticed the tire was leaking from the valve stem. I also noticed that the valve stem had not been replaced (on any of the 4 tires), as was included in my tire purchase (for an additional fee that I paid). I then decided to check the air in the other 3 tires. The other 3 tires were filled to 55lbs. The tires were labeled max fill 44lbs! So, they were all over-inflated by 10 lbs. That is when I realized they had put the wrong tires on my van (as my old tires held 80 lbs of air).

Clearly, they knew something was wrong which is why they put more air in tires than was recommended!!! However, nothing was ever brought to my attention. Not to mention that when I arrived to get the tires put on, I waited well over an hour with no explanation as to why I was still sitting there waiting. I went and asked what the problem was and when my van would be done. They stated my tires were not there or could not be found! I freaked out and told them I received an email that the tires were delivered. Finally, after another 30 minutes they found the tires. This is why I believe the valve stems were not replaced. They were then rushing to get me out of the store since I was angry that my time was wasted. Apparently, I have since found out that was why they put a $11.34 credit back on my account (they did not replace the valve stems and did not even ask me if I minded).

On 11/23/16 I called the auto center to discuss the over-inflated tire issue and they would not give me an answer as to the maximum fill amount of these tires. It was like they knew they did something wrong but would not admit it. I then called the online 800 number back to discuss what had happened, and that the wrong tires were suggested and now on my vehicle and leaking! They apologized and said these were not the correct tires (passenger tires not truck tires), and that they would place a new order for the correct tires, and have them sent to the store. They were surprised the auto center did not catch the mistake and inform me. They informed me that when they came in I could go back to the auto center and have them switched out at no extra charge.

I called the auto center 4-5 days later to ask if my tires were at the store. They told me they did not have any tires for me at their location. 10 days after that, 12/2/16 and the tires were still not at the store! I called the auto center back again, to see if my tires were at their store. Once again, they said 'no'. I then called the 800 line back again, and told them it had been over two weeks and my tires were still not at the store. Not to mention, I was driving around on the wrong/leaking tires! The women who I spoke with this time was Mia. She said she did not know what had happened with the reorder. So, Mia re-ordered the tires for a second time. Finally, I received notice that the tires were at the store on 12/10/16.

I went into the auto center on 12/10/16 to have my tires switched to the right tires. The female assistant manager was rude and stated that I had to pay a $72.00 restock fee for the old tires. She insinuated that I could be lying and that she had no way of proving that I had assistance/help from the tire expert. She stated there was no way to prove that I was not lying. She stated that I had placed the order myself and would have to pay the restock fee. She was getting more disrespectful and rude. I was then livid!

I figured I should leave because now I was furious. I had spent $550.00, had the wrong tires, was being disrespected, and now they want more money? Let's not even talk about how unsafe it was to drive my van on the wrong tires for about 3 weeks!!! I asked when her manager would be in the store and left as I was extremely angered at this point! I had been calm, respectful, and patient for 3 weeks. Now, I was being treated like a scapegoat for incompetent Sears employees. Needless to say, I lost my cool. Who wouldn't with such disrespectful service?

I called the online support back on 12/13/16 and told them about this manager being rude and her trying to charge me a restock fee when it was the online service who reordered the correct tires for me. Mia stated they should not charge me and that she had left notes in the system about what had transpired with my initial order. So, I then found out that there was proof after all? What in the heck was going on. Why was I being forced to go back and forth between a store and online support help? Idiotic in my opinion. I had already wasted way too much of my time on this.

I went in to talk with the actual manager on 12/15/16 Bradley, from Oakbrook, IL. He was even more disrespectful and rude than the first assistant manager. So apparently, she told Bradley a line a bull and he fell for it. Not only was our new tires more in price (understandable), but he also was saying the same crap about an additional $72 restock fee! I flipped and said you are not getting a dime more from me. I want a full refund. He then took it further and stated he was also going to charge us another $80 restock fee for the second set of tires. This was after I told them I wanted all my money back and did not want to purchase anything from this rude store/company! Then we got an additional $48 charge (which no one still, can even mathematically explain).

He then mentioned that I had 1 day to get the tires (that were on my van), back to his store or he would not give me any refund (30 day policy). So now, I was also being punished for it taking 3 weeks to get the correct tires into his store. He also mentioned he could charge me another $80. Because he had found the first set of tires that were reordered. Apparently now, they had three sets of tires at his store, for me. I did go get new tires at another store, and returned their tires the next day 12/16/16. Bradley ran my credit card and put a $313.48 refund out of $534.22 charge. I was furious!!! He stated he could tear that refund up if he wanted to as I was walking out the door. I just ignored him. I knew I needed to leave that situation before things got any uglier.

Well, as of 1/16/17 still no return appears on my credit card statement? I called the 800 customer complaint line. They said they could see that the refund was cancelled 5 minutes after it was processed (with no notes as to why). Looks like Bradley, did what he said. Your manager is a thief! You have your tires and our money. Disgusting!

I have been calling customer service for 2 months. Filed a complaint. Went past a level 2 complaint. Your response: "Go back to Bradley and work it out". My wife agreed to go in as I cannot (and be expected to keep a level head at this point). She went in on 1/18/17 after speaking with him on the phone 1/16/17. She said he was fine on the phone, and believed a fair resolution would be the outcome. She went in and he said he was too busy to deal with her. He gave the paperwork to his employee and told the employee to give her a $339.00 refund. My wife questioned the refund and once again, mathematically, no one could explain how they came up with that number. He just kept saying "You're getting more money back". That is what corporate said I need to refund you?

He kept telling her he was busy and did not have time for this. She told him that $48.00 fee was bogus, and how can I be charged a restock fee for tires that were over-inflated, ran on the wrong vehicle for over 3 weeks, and leaking. Restocking would mean you would resell them to another unsuspecting customer and cheat them too? We want all our money back so my wife refused to take that less than fair refund. She finally, agreed with me about the ethics of this employee & company. Bradley was telling my wife I admitted I ordered the wrong tires. That myself, him and the 800 service were on the phone together, when they reordered the new tires and that I agreed to pay additional restock fees. We had not even met Bradley when tires were ordered/reordered both times.

My wife then experienced what I did. She was now angry and thought Bradley was very unprofessional, and outright telling her lies. My wife called the customer complaint service number yet again, after her meeting with Bradley. She informed them once again, this meeting did not go well and the situation is still unresolved. They told her that Bradley put in his system notes (after meeting with my wife today), that he offered her a full refund and she refused! Come on Sears. You have a psychopath running that auto center! Bradley also informed my wife/customer service he did not know how/why our refund (our unfair refund), was reversed...ya right!

This is the craziest business transaction I have ever been forced to participate in. $550 is a lot of money for hardworking people. Treat them with some gratitude for choosing your company to do business with. That is what we wanted...a full refund. If he offered it why would we have not taken it? That does not even make any sense. Corporate needs to handle this situation ASAP! Be assured BBB, Channel 20, Social Media, and Corporate will be notified. If they do not fix this our attorney will! It is now about principle.

This place is shady, crooked, and a big maze of deceit for forcing customers to navigate through this nonsense to no avail. Worst experience ever! Stay away from this company who steals from customers, lies about customers, and lets managers get away with theft. They clearly do not care about getting or keeping business!!!! If you care have a decent system for customers who have issues like this and resolve them with some management skills!

I am just a customer who came to Sears to spend money on something I needed. I do not expect something for nothing. How did I benefit in any way. This has been traumatizing to my mental and physical health! I do expect to be treated with respect and not ripped off by the place I am spending my money! You should not offer expert advice if they are not trained and you do not hold them accountable for what they suggest to customer (and blame the customer for their mistakes). You should not have people installing tires that are not trained and put on the wrong tires, over-inflate tires, and when they are behind leave out important steps in the installation process (at the customers expense).

I too am now sorry that I choose Sears! Apparently, they will not even admit when they are so in the wrong. Making customers pay for their mistakes and try to cheat their customers for their mistakes. The customer has no recourse because any place you go to for help, circles back to the very people who treated you poorly in the first place. So, you just cannot get any help (even when you file a complaint). Not to mention making it impossible to get a refund. What a racket! BEWARE. I went into the auto center to have the tires switched out.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2017

Last time I went to Sears Auto Center here in Wichita, Kansas I went in for an oil change. Then they said, "Oh yea you will also need to have your tires aligned." I just got my tires aligned in my class in autos at my school with my teacher Mr. **. He's a very nice man. I can tell you that. But after I left I kept hearing this rattling noise coming from my car. I blew it off as if it was nothing thinking it was probably something in my trunk and just yesterday on 1/16/2017, guess what I found in the engine compartment! I found a pair of pliers, A PAIR OF FRICKING PLIERS marked by Sears Auto Center, their own pliers! IT'S SO CARELESS. I don't even know how they have customers!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2017

I had a 2 pm app. on 1/6/17. I arrived @ 1:50 pm. I was not assisted until 2:29 pm. When I spoke to an employee the day before, I was told appointments are treated as top priority. It did not seem so in this case. It seems that they were overbooked and understaffed. After explaining to the employee what I need (100,000 mile service) she recommended the platinum package. I explained that most of the things on the package had previously been done so I would not need those services. She then explained to me that the services are broken down and I would not be charged for everything on the list. I then agreed to go ahead and have the platinum service done. She also explained to me that I may need spark plugs as well. She said the mechanics will determine that when they did the free evaluation.

The young lady that was helping me said that the work would be done at 4 PM. However, when the ticket was finally printed out, it showed the work would be completed at 6 PM. I waited and waited for the work to be done and nothing was happening. At about 5:15 PM. I then asked one of the workers for a status of when the work would be done. He went back where the technicians were working on the vehicles, then, came back and said they were still working on it and it should be done pretty soon. I then said, "Could you please give me an estimated time? I need to pick my child up". He could not.

He then told me to go back where they were doing the work and ask the mechanic myself. I hesitated because on the glass door it clearly states "No unauthorized personnel beyond this point, you must wear safety goggles before entering." So I said to him "but it says do not enter" and he said it was fine. I still was reluctant on entering so I stood by the glass door and the mechanic approached me he said, "The work was done. All that's left is the alignment to be done." Now I do not know if there's just one machine that does the alignment but, as far as what he said everything was done except the alignment. I said, "fine" and I continue to wait but, while all this was happening I once again explained that I needed to pick my child up and they said the work was almost finished, just the alignment was needed.

At about 5:43 PM I could not wait any longer because I had to pick my child up. I explain to the worker to please pull my vehicle and I will pay for whatever service has been rendered and that I no longer wanted the alignment done. He said that was fine. They would pull the car and I will be on my way. I waited and waited it was now 6:07 PM and my car was still not brought out to me, the hood was still up and I was asking what was taking so long and they said, "Your car is hooked up to a machine and we can't take it off until the machine said it is OK to take it off." Then I said "but the mechanic said everything was done on my car, all that was left was the alignment." They still insisted that they needed to wait for the machine to tell them that it was OK to unplug it. I said "Fine, I will wait."

I waited for them to complete the service, but while I waited I noticed through the glass door/waiting room that they kept on going back-and-forth from the inside of the car to the engine. It took almost another hour before they were done doing what they were doing. The mechanic came and got me. We went to the register where he asked another employee to ring me up. However, that employee stated he was busy helping another customer so I would have to wait until he was done.

After the transaction was completed and as I was leaving, the gentleman said to me, "Oh by the way your battery is on yellow. It's very low! You may need to get a new one soon". I then said to him, "what do you mean it's low? The battery is brand-new. I've only had this battery for two weeks so there's no way that anything should be wrong with it." He then said, "Oh I understand what you saying but the machine says it's very low. It's on yellow and you might need to replace it soon" and I once again said, "There's no way that I would need to replace my battery because it is only two weeks old." He said, "Well you didn't get that service done here so I'm just telling you what the machine said". I left in disgust!

While I was driving the car, it began to jerk back and forth erratically. Every time I would hit the gas it would jerk back-and-forth erratically. I called the store and explain what was happening. They told me to come back and they would take a look at my car. When I got there they asked me to pull into the garage so they could take a look at it. They began evaluating my car and I saw a few of them over my car in some sort of conference. I saw one of the mechanics pull off with my car. I'm guessing that they went to test drive it because no one was communicating anything to me.

Upon returning with my car, the mechanic stated he did not see anything or feel anything wrong with the car. So, he asked If I would go along on another test drive and I agreed. On the road, the the car jerked a little bit at first, but, I didn't say anything for the first one. When he kept driving it jerked a little harder and so I said to him, "Did you feel that?" He said, "Yeah a little bit". We kept driving and the car jerked even harder. I then said, "Did you feel that one?" He then said, "Yeah I felt it a little bit". We kept driving, it jerked even harder! So I said, "There goes another one" and he said, "Yes, I feel that". He then headed back to Sears and said he was going to see what was happening to my car.

I went back into the waiting room where I could see a few of the workers standing around my car. I saw one of them leave and came back shortly with tools. I then noticed my car jerking back and forth. It seemed they were attempting to fix their mistakes. I then asked one of the workers could somebody please tell me what's happening with my car? He then said for me to go through those glass doors and ask someone in there. I went through the door. The gentleman that was standing there was on the phone so I had to wait until he finished his conversation. I then asked him if someone could please let me know what is going on with my car because no one is communicating with me in any way. He then said to me, "Oh we're just doing a diagnostic to make sure that's not the way the car came in." And then he just walked away from me without giving me a chance to reply.

I then said to myself but out loud, "Did he just walk away from me? Did he just walk away from me?!" I stood, waited and watched as they perform that diagnostic. The same gentleman that walked away kept looking back over my way in between the cars and I was looking right at him and they kept looking back-and-forth and then I saw the mechanics working on the car. I thought to myself "I have never seen that type of diagnostic before with tools."

After a while they finished doing whatever they were doing, pulled my car around and handed me my keys and began to walk away. I had to stop him. So I said, "Excuse me, wait, wait, wait, wait a minute. Please tell me what was wrong with my car? Why did I have to come back here a second time?" He then said to me, "Oh it was just the spark plugs that was loose. It was not mended together correctly, so we had to mend it back and tighten it. So that's what was wrong." I then said, "What! What do you mean? I paid for this service. This is what I paid for. This was a part of my package. What do you mean it was not done correctly? I paid for this!" And he just walk away from me without saying anything.

I shook my head and I walked out. As I was getting in my car and getting ready to pull off, I said to myself oh no, no, no, no, no I cannot let this go like this so I went back inside and I said to everyone that was in there, "What kind of customer service is? This how can you treat your customers? This is ridiculous. This is unacceptable! And no one has even attempted to even apologize to me? No one communicated with me at all. You were just going to leave it like this? Like nothing happened?" And no one said anything to me so I walked out. I turned back around and look through the glass doors. They just went along their way like nothing happened.

I left there at 7:33 PM. I went to pick my child up and went back to the store and then asked the gentleman that had walked away from me previously if I could get a printout of the diagnostic for the second time that I had to come back. He explained to me that there is no way that he could print out a diagnostic for that incident. I asked him, "What do you mean? When I was given the quote for the service it was printed out so why can't you print this out for me?" He then proceeded to tell me, "Oh that is a different side and that's a different department and there's no way to print something like that out." I then asked him, "So how do we go about handling this because I need something telling me what was not done correctly on my car. Why I had to come back here a second time?" He once again said there's no way he could do that.

He then proceeded to say to me that that's what the warranty is for, if there's any issues with the services performed I could always bring it back and they would address the issue. So I said to him, "So you're telling me if I go out there and hurt someone or get hurt myself I can always bring it back right because it's under warranty? Is that what you're Saying to me?" He tried and tried to backpedal a little bit and say, "No, no, no that's not what I'm trying to say", but I said, "That's what you just said!" Then I asked him, "If someone gets injured how would he go about handling that? How can you just wash your hands clean of any responsibility of this negligence?" I asked if he is refusing to give me anything in writing of their negligence. He said, "Well oh I can write it down on your receipt" and I said, "OK that's fine".

Then he wrote down on my receipt spark plug needs adjustment and then signed his name. I left the store in disgust once again. Now to fast forward to the present day, that same gentleman that I dealt with the night before was the SENIOR MANAGER. The SENIOR MANAGER!! This morning I called the store to speak to a manager. I explained everything that happened to me the night prior and he apologized to me which I appreciated because no one took that initiative the night before to do so. He then proceeded to tell me that he was going to forward all this information to his senior manager. He said he was not there the night before but he still apologize for my experience at that store.

He said that the senior manager by the name of Robie will give me a call back once he gets in today. And I asked him, "Are you sure he will give me a call?" He said yes and he still continue to apologize for my experience in the store. Now I explained to him that I'll quite frankly did not expect to pay for this service and he said he would have to meet with his senior manager and discuss everything that I just told him. Now, I'm driving my vehicle for the very first time today and I'm hearing a ticking sound, a constant ticking sound in my car.

I called them back to notify them of what was happening so, they advise me to bring the car back in. Because of the snowy conditions they claim they were unable to determine what was happening with my car. Senior manager Robie asked me to come back at a later time and they would be able to better evaluate it. I explain to them that I need to go to work and I cannot drive this car if I do not feel safe. Robie, the senior manager then told me they checked everything out and everything seems fine but to come back when the weather is better and they will evaluate it further. But before I left I had a conversation with him. I did not realize he was a manager because he did not behave as such, he did not apologize or attempt to rectify the situation in anyway the night before.

In our conversation he explained to me that what I experience the night before was not a safety issue. I said, "What do you mean it was not a safety issue? Do you know what I went through last night? That was very scary for me." He then said, "Well, that's what the warranty is for". He said the very same thing he said to me the night prior. I could not believe it! And he made it clear to me there is no way I'm getting back a refund for the service that was rendered to me. I then said, "You know what, this is not the first time this has happened to me here." I bought tires in May and the same thing happened to me. I didn't remember until all this happened to me last night, then it all came flooding back.

After I bought the tires and I left, as I was driving, the tires were shaking like they were about to fall off. I called the store and they said, 'Oh come on back and will take care of the situation'. After waiting and they came back out and I asked, 'So what was the problem, why was my car shaking like that?' The mechanic then turned to me and said, 'Oh, we forgot to balance the tires, that's why'. I didn't say anything during that incident. I just let it go. But this time, this time around I do not accept this type of incompetence and I said to him, "Do you not see the track record?" He had nothing to say. "This is the second time this has happened and you're telling me there is nothing you can do to rectify the situation? Because I do not accept this and I do not expect to pay for this service".

He then says, "There is no way I can give you a refund for this" and then in the conversation he said it's just like you going to like shoppers or giant and then I just cut him right off and I said, "Where is my car? May I please have my car?" And he said, "Sure you may have it." He pointed, walked towards it and I followed behind him, got in and I left in disgust once again! If this is the type of management that runs this establishment I will never set foot in there again for any type of service! It's unfortunate that this site would only allow me to give you one star as a rating because truly you deserve zero stars!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2017

On 12/19/16 I visited Sears Auto store #6604 Paramus, NJ for a new battery and was told my wait time would be "one hour or less". 3 hours later my car was ready and I was handed a pre-printed "Scare tactic" report indicating that my car had 3 tires that required alignment. I was suspect as to why my alignment was (allegedly) checked when all I needed was a battery. What Sears did not know... that a few days prior to my visit my car received a "computerized wheel alignment" by my regular certified technician. It is apparent, Sears goes "fishing" for add on work even if the cars don't need any. They have lost my trust and any future business.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2016

Tire Replacement - It took four hours and frequent consultations with the front desk arguing about tire stems for my four tires, and then I noticed that my car was sitting out in the lot and that they hadn't come to get me in the waiting room to tell me it was done. The "free" diagnostics showed bad alignment and a weak battery, but I don't trust them because this is NJ, where cheating on car repairs is considered normal business practice. I ended up with a bill $80 over what I already paid online. The new tires are covered in glue and hand prints, and one more of the wheel spinners is missing (dealer service lost the first two).

Original review: Dec. 6, 2016

Took my son-in-law's car in for oil change, over the phone I asked Keith to please have tires checked, after hour and half tires were not checked. The mechanic said he was not told to. So I called and asked again. They still have horrible information, even after I explained we would be traveling 2200 miles. My son's last name is **. So I ended up taking car somewhere else, because I could look at tires and I knew they had little thread left, so anyhow bought $700 dollars for 4 tires so they completely lose our business. God bless.

Sears expert review by Lauren Fix

Sears department store has roots going back to the 19th century, but the company didn’t open its first auto center until 1931. The company now operates more than 650 Sears Auto Centers in the United States and Puerto Rico. Their ASE Certified technicians provide a full range of preventative automotive maintenance services and many repair services. They also sell and mount tires.

• Special discounts: In addition to seasonal sales and online coupons, Sears Auto Centers offer special discounts to active, reserve and retired members of the U.S. military. They also offer discounts to AARP members and employees of certain companies. Interested consumers can see if their company is a Sears partner on the Sears Auto Center website.

• Accessories: Those looking for accessories for their vehicle can purchase them at Sears department stores. They sell car emergency kits, floor mats, jumper cables, car detailing products, manuals and more.

• Battery service: Sears Auto Centers promise to install batteries in 15 minutes or less. If they don’t, the installation is free. They will also check a customer’s existing battery for free.

• Performance Snapshot: Consumers who are having problems with their vehicle can visit a Sears Auto Center for a free Performance Snapshot, which includes a computerized diagnostic check, an extensive visual inspection and a report with recommended maintenance and repairs.

• Online scheduling: Customers who need to schedule a service can set up an appointment on the Sears Auto Center website. Same day appointments may be available depending on the individual center’s schedule.

• Best for: Sears Auto Center is best for those who want a certified technician to perform maintenance and repairs and who want to stay with the same company even if they’re away from home.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix

Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Sears Auto and Tire Company Information