Sears Auto and Tire
1.19/5
Based on 443 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Sears Tire & Auto Centers

776 Sears Auto and Tire Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 19, 2018

Sears Auto left off my oil cap, and I drove the car not know the oil was draining out all over my engine, until I saw it puddled on my driveway. When I took it back to Sears Auto, they were apologetic and took full responsibility, as they had it on video where the tech left it off when he was doing my oil change. They immediately got a claim with their insurance company, Sedgwick. It has been a nightmare dealing with Sedgwick. The rep will not return my call. I was told by Sears Auto to not drive the car, so I footed the expense of a rental car for a week, while I waiting on Sedgwick Insurance to return my call. To date, I have left 4 voice mails and sent 3 emails BUT NO RESPONSE. I will contact my Insurance commissioner and file with the BBB.

Original review: June 10, 2018

I was told to be at the Sears Auto Service Center at noon, I arrived 15 mins early. I was told that it would take 2 hours to do the work on my Jeep, (replace the rear shocks). I checked and after an hour nothing was being done. Then when I check again an hour later they had taken my Jeep and parked it in a corner. I asked the service writer if it was done? He looked out and said he would check. He came back and said just to give him another 45 mins that he would get it done right away. Not what I want a mechanic having to hurry and get a job done that way. I don't think they wanted to work on my Jeep as it didn't pay as well as doing some of the other work. I think I will close my Sears C.C. account as I have lost faith with Sears.

Get expert buying tips about Auto Service and Repair delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I am not sure what to think about them. On one hand, they did a decent job, and retained professional attitude. On another, they tried to save on oil, and replaced only a bare minimum on my vehicle. I had to add a whole quart of fully synthetic oil afterwards myself.

Original review: June 2, 2018

The worst store manager at the White Plains location - First of all was rude letting me know that even though I had an appointment it would be 3 hrs. It's not about the fact it was 3 hrs but about how he said it. Then proceeded to overcharge me for tire rotation. He refused to relent to the fact that he was charging me for tire removal and change instead of a simple rotation. I have been charged for a simple rotation on many different occasions at Yorktown (which is now closed) and expected the same at White Plains. I was already there for an appointment and he pretty much held me hostage by refusing to acknowledged he was using the wrong code. I landed up paying $80 instead of $15. The rudest manager I have encountered. Was rude to other customers too - Pretty much telling one customer that she should get a translator even though she spoke very good English. She pretty much told him off too.

Original review: June 2, 2018

My husband showed up to our appointment that was scheduled when I bought tires online and was told we did not have an appointment and they would not put our tires on! Also was told that we would have to pay a second install fee of $18/tire because even though the breakdown cost shown on the online receipt, which showed $11.96 auto installation fee, $12.00 haul away/disposal fee, $4.00 environmental fee, plus paying for rubber valve stems did not cover installation and it was not free!!!! Also was told that he could not cancel our order, we would have to do it ourselves... because he was too busy and had too many other customers to help.

When asked if we could speak to a manager, was told very rudely by a "fill-in" (we were never told his name, just repeated times that he was from an Alpharetta store that had just closed), that the manager was not there because he was moving, all the while rolling his eyes about it! Ridiculous excuse for customer service!!! You have lost a repeat customer. We have gotten tires and services here many times before... including tires for my husband's truck a year ago at the very same location that were bought online and DID include free installation. We had excellent customer service that time, but because of this will NEVER, EVER come to this location again and will tell everyone we know to stay away! No wonder Sears stores are closing left and right if this is the norm!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sears?

Original review: May 8, 2018

I had engine oil service done by Sears Auto, Frisco, TX on 7th April 2018 wherein they also put a new oil filter. My car broke down on 25th April 2018 and the engine would not start. I learnt from another auto repair shop that the engine had seized due to no oil and will require replacement. My car is a 2008 Toyota Camry and is at 72000 miles and has been maintained well. Also, Sears Auto had carried a multipoint inspection and found that engine oil was good and there were no wear and tears. Moreover, they changed the oil filter. My complaint is that Sears Auto had failed to find and report to me that there was damage to the engine oil unit and did not put an oil filter when they charged me for the same. This led to the engine seizing and breaking down.

Their insurance company (Sedgwick), as expected, denied the claim stating that there was no oil filter. Had they checked the final invoice and multi inspection report they would have found that Sears Auto had replaced (and charged) the oil filter and given a green light to Engine Oil just 2 weeks before the incident. Now that they have left me stranded without a car, I have no option but to pursue alternate routes to get their attention.

Original review: March 30, 2018

I would like to comments about the worst service of Auto department in Valley Stream, Green Acres Mall. The worst customers service and follow up. All staff are very rude and not pay attention to the customers properly. I would not recommend anyone to go to this place for Auto services. They charged too much for the Tires but don't provide quality of service. I had the four tire replaced 2 months ago and one tire came up with bump on it. Went to see the shop on 3/17 and they offer me to replace the tire and tech told me he will order the tire. Since then I am keep calling to find out the status of the tire.

They put on hold for an hour on the phone to find out the status but never get answer. I am still waiting for Jacques to call me for status. Today is 3/30 and it too dangerous me that care with broken tire. I'm hopeless. This kind of big company does not have any action and follow up with their staff what they are doing with their customers who are running their business. Manager is not also helpful for this situation. I would not recommend anyone to go to Sears Auto since I have very bad experience. No one answer me on when I call what is the status of my tire. This is ridiculous.

Original review: March 22, 2018

I purchased DieHard Battery from Sears that was defective (the cranks were approx 1/3 of the advertised value, causing starting issues). I contacted Sears 1.5 weeks after the purchase asking for a refund, they "tested" the battery on "their big tester" (I was treated like a second class citizen) and advised me that "it is good" and refused to refund the money. I contacted the corporate headquarters, explained that the product is defective, provided all documentation including a testing results from my mechanic. I was willing to cooperate, offered the product for additional testing, but they were very condescending, uncooperative and could not care less.

They are still refusing to refund my money for the defective product, making excuses and blaming it on everybody else including my mechanic (I offered the product for additional testing, again, but they are not interested and did not provide a shred of evidence to support their claim). Do not buy anything from Sears! Defective product and the worst customer service I ever experienced!

Original review: March 7, 2018

Made an appointment online for an oil change. Easy and convenient. Went in on scheduled day and was greeted by friendly staff. Took me right in and was done faster than expected. The manager Eric was kind and helpful. Made for a great experience and I will always go back to the Holyoke location. Thanks guy!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I have gone to Sears Auto many times and have all the records. When I went to get an alignment done under the $189 Lifetime Alignment Warranty I bought a year ago, they said I don't have a lifetime warranty. I showed them the paperwork. It has my name, my address, but a different vehicle, a Honda Pilot. I have never owned a Honda Pilot and showed them all the records I have from Sears Auto with my name and the proper vehicle, a Honda CRV. The work order showed that the Lifetime Warranty was bought under my vehicle with all the correct information.

After they did the alignment and I paid the $189, the final invoice showed it was bought under the wrong vehicle and VIN#, the Honda Pilot. After 20 minutes of telling the manager, Chris, THEY did something wrong, they refused to budge and more or less insisted that I was lying. I suppose people do try to switch cars on lifetime warranties, but it was very obvious from all the records they have for at least 3 years that I have never had a Honda Pilot serviced at any Sears location. I will never go back to them again. I have posted both the Work Order with my correct vehicle info and the Final Invoice with the wrong vehicle below. Both records show the exact same mileage on both cars!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

I ordered a tire replacement at Sears online. Their online rep told me the Sears location in Boca Raton definitely had the tire in stock so I placed the order. I told him that I am sure when I went there, the tire would not be in stock, but he said he checked their inventory at 2 locations. I made an appointment to have the tire installed. I went for the appointment, and after an hour of waiting I asked what was going on. I was told "he is on it" and I asked what was the delay and he found out they of course did not have the tire in stock and told me that the online store is unreliable. They were "looking for some place order the tire". So after 1.5 hours waiting, they told me they were nowhere so I had them put the tire back on and give me a refund. In closing, this place is chaos and if you can avoid it, do so. They are inept and unable to do anything right. I wasted time while they fiddled around and did not communicate.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

I'm having a BIG problem with the Sears Auto Center here in Clovis, CA. I moved here from Boise. Idaho April 1, 2017 and before Idaho I lived in Phoenix, Arizona (husband in the United States Navy). I bought an alternator for my 2005 F350 diesel truck from you guys almost 2 years ago and had you install it. You guys installed the wrong one the first time (an alt. For a dual alt. Set up which I do not have) and fried my batteries, FICM (Fuel Injection Control Module) and obviously the alternator. 1.5 years ago I bought the truck to your Boise, Idaho location when this happened (that’s where the military moved us to). Boise location comped my batteries (since I chose to pay for my FICM myself because I wanted an aftermarket one) and put the correct alternator in my truck.

My alternator failed last week and stranded me with my 85 year old grandfather 300 miles from home. I called my local sears and the manager was a total jerk to me and would not honor the warranty even though he stated it was still valid. He stated he would not honor the warranty because the last sears didn't put notes in the account stating they installed it even though he has record of ALL of the purchases including that one. I called corporate and they assured me they would fight to get the alternator I had to buy so I could get home reimbursed and have the District Manager call me within 24-48 hours. This was 11/27. I've called 3 times now and been given the run around and still haven't been contacted by ANYONE. I have spent a lot of money with Sears over the years as my account will reflect and I would like to continue to do so however if this matter isn't resolved I will never step foot in Sears again.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

On Sunday, November 26, 2017 I took my car to Sears because the battery was dead. They sold me a battery. Then they told me that the alternator was defective. It was Sunday, I needed the car and they could do the work immediately. In this situation, rather than waiting to take my car to a trusted mechanic, I had them install a new alternator. On Monday, November 27 I noticed that there was a large puddle of water under the car. I took the car back to Sears. They told me that they could find no leak, and that the water must have been from another car parked in that spot before me. On Tuesday November 28 first thing in the morning, there was another puddle of water under my car.

I took car back to Sears, and this time they told me that the leak was at the connection where the hoses connect to the radiator. They told me that they could not repair it. They also told me that I now needed a new radiator! I told them that I have owned this car for 15 years, always parked it on my concrete driveway, and there has NEVER been a leak on the driveway before! It seems quite a coincidence that less than 24 hours after Sears installed a new alternator, there is a problem with the radiator.They told me that, yes it was quite a coincidence that the radiator connection was leaking. But it could not possibly have been created by them. Not possible!

Later today, I took the car to a trusted mechanic. He told me that when Sears installed the alternator, they pressed down on the top of the radiator, and that was the cause of the damage. Easy to understand since the alternator is less than 5" from the radiator, and the belt driving the alternator is even closer! Tomorrow my trusted mechanic will begin the process of attempting a repair, but they advise me that the entire radiator may have to be replaced as a result of the poor craftsmanship of Sears installing the alternator.

Does anybody out there really believe that this problem occurred less than 24 hours after Sears serviced the car, and it has nothing to do with the work that they did? That it was "not possible" that they did anything that could have caused the problem. By the way, both yesterday and today when I was in the Sears Auto Service Center THERE WAS NOT A SINGLE OTHER CAR IN THERE FOR SERVICE. Imagine that, about 20 bays with car lifts and NO CARS! It looks like I am one of the last folks to learn what a terrible service provider they really are! I spent over $500.00 on a new battery and rebuilt alternator, and I bet they won't even be in business in a few months!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I bought new tires from the Glendale Sears Automotive less than 4 years ago. The tires have a 70K mile warranty. After driving less than 25K the rear back tire looked low so I put some air in it. About 10 days later I drove another car for a couple of days and when I returned to my car, the tire looked a little low again. I put air in and went to Sears to have it checked out.

I walked in and there were no other customers. Four sears employees were at the desk and it literally took 10 minutes for them to help me. I went out with a women to check out the car and she said that I didn't buy my tires from them. They would never sell me such a crappy tire. She said the sidewalls of the tires were all cracked and falling apart. I insisted that I bought them there and we went in and checked the computer. Yep! Purchased at Sears... In Glendale. When the information was confirmed she started to back peddle and blame me for the damage to the tire saying they really were a good tire and I just drove around on flat tires and that caused the damage. REALLY???

Her assessment was I needed new tires. I asked her if they would be prorated because of the warranty and she said they would not be because the tread of the tire was still good. BUT THE TIRE IS CRACKING AND FALLING APART!!! Which once again she said was my fault. I left and will never return to Sears for any car needs. Bottom line: Sears (Glendale, CA) sold me a crappy tire (buy their own admission) and they do not stand behind their products and warranties. Proceed at your own peril if you read this review and continue to do business with this location. I don't know about other Sears location, I can only speak about my experience with this one.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I brought my car in for air conditioning. I finally got it after they were technically closed and drove home. I noticed the trunk wasn't closed tight so I opened it and it had been accessed by them. I just fixed it and they had no reason to go into my trunk. Then I noticed my tools that were in there were missing. It was a whole set hardly ever used. I went into the car again and noticed the turn signal arm was not able to move. I had no problem with it before. I called the shop and they would not repair the car and said it was an insurance settlement. The insurance company who called three days later was Sedgwick in Chicago. He denied all claims and we had words and he hung up. When I looked at the paperwork I noticed Sears backdated it three days to disallow a rescission on my part which is illegal.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

I scheduled an appointment online (confirmation # **). The online tool asked for my license plates and found my exact car model correctly (Audi), asked me for oil options to select from, pricing, etc. Then it send confirmation of my appointment by email. I arrived at the Sears Auto Center on time, just to learn that they do not do Audi. I drove 22 miles and spend time and gas on it. Shame Sears! Sears Auto Center (#2678). The store manager there is Burt **.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

I made an appointment on Sep. 8, 2017 online to have some work done on my Tahoe. Saturday at Sep. 9, 2017 at 08:20 I received a call from 804-378-3083. It was Sears Automotive asking if they can reschedule my appointment for 16:00 on the same day. I agreed but didn't have the warm and fuzzy feeling after talking to the young lady on phone. Now I live in Portsmouth, VA about 2 hrs give or take from the Midlothian Sears and the person I talked to knew where I lived because he remembered me from the tires back in March of this year.

I drove the distance because my truck need servicing and the two Sears in my area had no appointments. But when I get up the counter he asked me what I'm having done. I said balancing and rotation and before I could say oil change he cut me off and said "we don't have time. You need to reschedule". I said, "My name is on your appointment board." He said, "I know, but you made your appointment online and the system is messing up." I said, "Wait Sears called me and rescheduled my appointment 4 pm." He said, "Can you come in doing the week?" I reminded him I live in Portsmouth. He said, "Sorry." I said, "If you can call me to reschedule my appointment, why couldn't Sears called me to tell me." They couldn't get to me. This is not the type of service I would expect from a place like Sears. I was offered NOTHING in return. No discount on future services, head of the line on a return day.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

Approximately two months ago I had my front brakes worked on at Sears Auto Center at Washington Square in Portland Oregon. Today is Sunday September 3, 2017. My appointment was for 10:00 AM. I arrived and checked in. About 11:20 I received a call from Sears. I went to pick up my car and started to talk with the agent who handled the process. He stated that the brakes were good. I stated that the rotors had grooves in them and that is not normal. He stated that cars have grooves in their rotors because of normal wear. He also mentioned that going downhill heat the rotors and cause the grooves. I stated to him that I had been driving the same road for 5 years and the rotors before did not have any grooves in them. I left disappointed with his analysis of the situation.

Original review: July 29, 2017

Great team! Nikki And Sly was great. I didn't have an appointment but Nikki told Sly to write me a ticket and put it on the board. I waited two hours which wasn't a problem because Nikki told me about two/three hours. The tech Marcus called me out to back and showed me a few problems with my vehicle that I will correct with y'all and another shop.

Original review: July 28, 2017

On July 21st 2017 I took my Toyota Sienna in for AC recharge but I didn't know that it had a leak so they charge my car. It was working fine until today July 28th 2017. I drove the car today on July 28th 2017 turn on my air conditioner and it will just blowing hot air. So I call Sears Auto Center on Rice Street in St Paul about the warranty and he said that the warranty don't cover cause my car had some sort of issue. So I told him why did you guys even charge me money when my car had a leak. The manager over there say that there was no way to find out there was a leak so they won't do nothing. The manager said if I want another recharge it will cost me $130 again. I will never ever step foot into a Sears again. It has bad customer service.

Original review: July 17, 2017

I am very pleased with my visit to Sears Auto Service in Braintree, MA. Frank **, Assistant Auto Center Manager, was very thoughtful in providing me with excellent service. I had previously had my brakes replaced not even two years ago at another Sears and they needed to be fixed again. Frank had my warranty extended and proceeded to fix my brakes the right way. I cannot say enough about the excellent service I received from Frank and his crew at Sears Auto Service in Braintree, MA.

Original review: July 1, 2017

Sears Auto Center 6343 E. Southern Ave Mesa, AZ 85206 - There were so many things to complain about. Where do I begin? The wait for service was very long and they didn't seem to care much for the customer service aspect of the job. I came in to fix my check engine problem. I had the paperwork from my failed inspection. My main goal was to fix my engine problem causing the check engine light to go on. I provided them with the codes from my failed inspection report. I was charged a diagnostic fee of 89.99 and wasn't given any printout of what was the mechanic's diagnosis? I was shown broken parts and told what the problem was and that they were ordering the parts, given a price, and also added my front brakes to the list of repair. Three hours later I called to check up on my car because it was getting close to closing time. I was assured by the mechanic it would be ready prior to closing.

The service member told me that the wrong parts were ordered and that the mechanic glued/somehow repaired broken plastic parts that earlier, I was told were not repairable! That didn't give me much confidence in the repair. The servicemen tried to charge me almost $90.00 for my rotors and nothing was done to them. He said, "We charge even if we don't need to resurface them"?? Charge for doing nothing... Strange!! I was assured I could pass inspection now and told to drive it around a bit prior to going to inspection! I am out a bunch of money, my car repair is still not done, and I still can't register my car because the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT is on again!!! I have no printout about what was diagnosed and I still need to repair my car and I'm out hundreds of dollars!! What did I pay for???

Original review: June 17, 2017

Ok I found some tires at a great price at Sears.com and to get that price it says you have to order them online so I did. Everything looked good. I put order in, they immediately took my hard earned money outta my account. So fast I had to double check to make sure. It said I had an appointment the next day to be there at 1100am.

Well I called this morning and they have no record of an order so I call customer service and they said yeah it's a computer glitch and they know about it. And I'd have to cancel order and reorder. So I said, "Look lady I don't have another $600 to dish out again. How about giving my money back?" Well they took it outta my account in 1.3 milliseconds but it's gonna take more than 72 hours to get it back to me. 72 hours? So now I'm out $600, no tires and no order.

I've got the email with the confirmation order number and I think they should be trying very hard to figure out how to take care of me cause I'm the customer. Can you believe she wanted me to give them another $600? Wow. How does a huge company like Sears have such an easy manageable problem that could easily be fixed. And if you can only get that sale price ONLINE then that would be top priority to make sure it works properly. Now they are saying you have to get an alignment but if you go to Sears.com and search tires, there's NOT one statement about getting an alignment on that web page and they also said you have to get installment fees to get that price which I did. It was Auto Rejected from what they said. Well if that's the case why did it take my money? It shouldn't have went thru right or the alignment should have been on the order right? Or it should have not taking the money the order and stated why?

FALSE advertising is bad business. They did finally tell me where the very small print was where you had to get the alignment but I had to really hunt for it and it is NOT on the web pages I went to. So wish me luck because now I'm having to wait 3 business days to get my money back so I can't drive anywhere now for 3 to 4 days. Thanks a lot Sears. You just lost a good paying customer.

Original review: June 10, 2017

I had the worst ever experience of any place at this so called business (Sears Auto Oakbrook, IL). It started with the attendant having ZERO business etiquette or mannerism when I needed details and ended up asking whether I should bring my defective "DieHard" battery detached or in the car. The answer was an unapologetic: "we cannot look at it in the car today, but if you detach it will take an hour to assess it!!!" I had paid the higher price for the GOLD version of this "DieHard" only two months earlier only to have it DIE on me THREE time over the course of the two months I owned it!!! Upon close inspection, I was astonished to finally find evidence of a leak/crack in the top of the battery!!! My experience is such defects are a sign of bad workmanship and the easiest ground for a return and especially that the receipt officially stated a 36-MONTHS exchange warranty.

To my extreme surprise and profound disappointment, the store manager REFUSED to return or exchange it stating that they do NOT return DAMAGED batteries!!! REALLY, bad workmanship is NOT a legitimate grounds for a return!!! What planet is SEARS Auto from!!! When I asked how can a DIE-HARD battery get so easily damaged with normal use, the manager started yelling at me and stated the same meaningless policy!!! After requesting him to lower his voice multiple times, I got so disgusted that I asked him if he could dispose it for me. I thought he was finally doing me a favor when I found through Walmart that there is a disposal fee for batteries!!! At this point, I made a point of going to Sears to ask why they did not bother to mention the disposal fee to me, the manager and attendant nonchalantly answered in a very rude snobbish manner that you get the disposal fee ONLY when you buy from them!!!

Did these folk think I am just not gonna buy another battery!!! So I asked, "why did you not bother informing me of this when I left the battery with you to dispose of it," at which point I was met with the deer-in-the-bright light blank look from the attendant and manager with ABSOLUTELY no apologies!!! In the end I demanded my defective battery back and got the disposal fee from Walmart!!! The sheer amount of disgusting disregard to customer service almost made me throw up so many times through this transaction!!! If this is truly how Sears' business practice is, namely total disregard to the customer, no wonder SEARS is going out of business all over the place as they truly do not deserve anybody's business behaving like this!!! Overall, I would have truly given them NEGATIVE or ZERO star rating at best if that option were available!!!

Original review: May 27, 2017

They didn't have any of the tires I wanted. They had three in stock for my vehicle. One in the price range I wanted to pay. They told me it would take one and a half to two hours. When I came back in two hours it took another 30 minutes. Also had to wait to get help. Though they are courteous they are incompetent and going here was a waste of my time.

Original review: May 23, 2017

So I have had so many problems with Sears Auto Center. It is hard to remember them all, but I will try. First experience I had with my car was several years ago, I had a simple oil change with my new vehicle, and they bent the oil pan, and my car was leaking. I did not find this out until bringing it to the dealership, this was never remedied by Sears.

I have had a lot of work done by Sears, and while sometimes they do a decent job, other times it is terrible. The next incident was with my wife's car a 2006 Pontiac G6. Her power steering stopped working on her vehicle. We took the vehicle to Sears and they quoted us a price for around $800. They "fixed" the vehicle and gave it back to us. The next day the car was still not working correctly. We took it back to have it checked again, and they said they fixed it this time and it should work.

The next day it malfunctioned again. At this point I was livid, I called and spoke with the manager he said to bring it in and he would have someone bring it to a dealership to have it checked out. We brought the vehicle to him, and a day later he said they checked it out and it was working fine. I asked what dealership they took it to, and he said he took it to a local shop and they checked it. We picked the vehicle up again, and before we made it to the house it malfunctioned again.

I called and had a very serious conversation with the manager again, explaining that this problem could get my wife hurt or killed in a accident. I told him I was taking it to a dealership to have it checked out myself. I took it to the dealership and learned that this part was under recall, and the dealership had to reinstall a new module and it was fixed now. I took the vehicle home and the next day went to Sears and demanded my refund. They complied but only after dealing with all these problems and time spent trying to fix it.

The next issue I had with Sears was early replacement of my parts in a short time period. I had brakes, and belts done at Sears and then less than 10K miles I had to replace both again. So either they were not replaced, the wrong parts were used or they were not installed properly. The next issue I remember was with my vehicle a 2005 Hyundai Accent, I was having issues with my struts. I was quoted a price just south of $1013 to replace the struts and also a tire that needed replacement.

They replaced the struts and the noise stopped for two days and then more noise started up. I brought the vehicle back to Sears and they looked at it and said they couldn't figure it out. I really couldn't listen to anything more they had to say and figured just like the last time they fixed something complicated they possibly messed it up. I took it to the dealership, told them what work was done. They looked at it and initially thought it was a suspension rod. After looking at it they found that the struts were not tightened properly. They tightened the struts and did some other unrelated work and didn't charge me to fix Sear's mistake.

Finally more recently the last time I will go to them, my wife's car's AC went out. We took it to Sears, they quoted us $15 AC check. They checked the vehicle and called us later in the day and said is was the fan, and it would cost about $800 to replace the fan. I decided we were not going to put more money into the vehicle and replace it. I went to pickup the vehicle they charged us $75.00 for the inspection. I took the vehicle and was going to trade it in. My brother in law convinced me to fix it and sell it private party. I took it to his mechanic, turned out the fan was not the problem at all. The system had a leak and the compressor was going out, had nothing to do with the fan. I would have wasted $800 for nothing, I do intend on calling Sears about this.

Original review: May 11, 2017

Do not get it. We bought 5 tires before we left in our RV. We had a blowout. If another car had not pulled up next to us and told us we were missing our tire. We would have never known and thank goodness he did. We were out in the boonies, had to call AAA. They had someone come out and change our spare and put it on. He recommended we go buy a spare because the other tires could be bad also. We did no Sears around. When we got back home we went to Sears to see if they would give us our money back for the tire. They said, "No." They wanted to give us a new tire that we do not need. We always buy our tires from Sears but this will be the last time we do.

Original review: April 27, 2017

Went into Sears in Bangor, ME yesterday with copy of battery warranty for a battery that we had gone into the Augusta, ME store and purchased and installed ourselves as car battery was dead. The new the battery was not installed by them and had our info on computer. My husband explained the battery would not hold a charge. He also told them we were not there for anything other than the battery and wanted nothing other than the battery checked or changed. They took the car in and a few min later he said there was a $20. fee. My husband said, "Is that to CHANGE THE BATTERY?" He said, "No to check it." Again my husband said, "I want NOTHING other than the battery checked / changed."

I came and put the charge on my credit card. As soon as I signed for charge the man handed my husband a slip that said the battery charge was very low but it was alright, said the alternator tested at 11 and it should be at 14. HELLO, what part of test battery only did they not understand? We had walked in and bought the battery and took it home and installed it when we bought it, the car was not there. Yesterday they said, "battery ok." Husband put the battery on charger and it started ANOTHER car 3 or 4 times then would not turn over at all. The battery is no good. This was an expensive Die Hard gold. 3 employees were standing around when this conversation was going on.

Afterwards when I asked about being charged for the printout of car after being told we were only there for the battery and then producing the printout that was done BEFORE payment they said that was the service. Then they could not find the paper I had given them with the battery info / purchase date / price. It had vanished into thin air. They said they couldn't find it on the computer?? Well the first person did. We have bought home appliances, tires, and ALWAYS batteries from Sears. I will probably complain to my bank about the charge but I will definitely NEVER do business with Sears again. Think this may be a scam??

Original review: April 22, 2017

11/19/2016 took my car to Sears auto center to have two front struts put on and alignment work done which took 3 hours to get done. A few months later my car was making a noise coming from the driver side. Took my car to a local garage I was told that the struts that Sears put on were bad. Took car back to Sears on 2/14/2017. Sears put car on lift and said it's not the struts that I needed a rack and pinion. Took car back to local garage for second opinion. Guy said that I don't need a rack and pinion and that both struts were bad. Back to sears I go. When I return to the auto center 2/19/2017 the manager was so rude and yelling at me, I left the auto center in tears. Went to another garage to get more opinions. 3 different garage said the struts were bad.

4/14/2017 back to Sears I go. This time I took a guy with me that knows about cars. when at sears I ask the guy to put car back on lift and show my friend where he sees that I needed a rack and pinion. The same store manager that I've been dealing with since I got struts put on is now saying that he never told me I needed a rack and pinion. When I had the paper with me saying I did, again the store manager was rude using foul language. When I ask for a complete refund, the manager told me when I return the struts 4/21/2017. I got 2 struts kit put on by friend which took him less than a hour to put on back to Sears to return the struts and manager kept telling me that the struts that Sears put on were not the same. Finally, after a hour, I got credit back all the money after 5 months of putting up with this bull crap. I will never ever return to Sears auto center in Exton PA.

Original review: April 7, 2017

On 9 December 2016 I purchased an auto battery. I installed the battery today 7 April 2017. The battery will not hold a charge. I brought the battery back to the store location: Sears Automotive Metro Parkway, Phoenix, Arizona. I asked for a pro-rated refund, or in the alternative an in-store credit. The manager was most disagreeable. Telling me that is my tough luck. No business is rich enough to treat customers so shabbily. As it stands, I have given Sears 133.00 of my hard earned money with no compensation for Sears defective battery which will not hold a charge. The solution according to accepted norms of good business practice would be to offer me a pro-rated refund, exchange, or in-store credit. I can well understand now why Sears an American retail institution is tottering on the edge of bankruptcy. Shame on Sears, for abandoning their long standing policy of customer satisfaction and goodwill.

Sears expert review by Lauren Fix

Sears department store has roots going back to the 19th century, but the company didn’t open its first auto center until 1931. The company now operates more than 650 Sears Auto Centers in the United States and Puerto Rico. Their ASE Certified technicians provide a full range of preventative automotive maintenance services and many repair services. They also sell and mount tires.

• Special discounts: In addition to seasonal sales and online coupons, Sears Auto Centers offer special discounts to active, reserve and retired members of the U.S. military. They also offer discounts to AARP members and employees of certain companies. Interested consumers can see if their company is a Sears partner on the Sears Auto Center website.

• Accessories: Those looking for accessories for their vehicle can purchase them at Sears department stores. They sell car emergency kits, floor mats, jumper cables, car detailing products, manuals and more.

• Battery service: Sears Auto Centers promise to install batteries in 15 minutes or less. If they don’t, the installation is free. They will also check a customer’s existing battery for free.

• Performance Snapshot: Consumers who are having problems with their vehicle can visit a Sears Auto Center for a free Performance Snapshot, which includes a computerized diagnostic check, an extensive visual inspection and a report with recommended maintenance and repairs.

• Online scheduling: Customers who need to schedule a service can set up an appointment on the Sears Auto Center website. Same day appointments may be available depending on the individual center’s schedule.

• Best for: Sears Auto Center is best for those who want a certified technician to perform maintenance and repairs and who want to stay with the same company even if they’re away from home.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix

Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Sears Auto and Tire Company Information