1.25/5
Based on 273 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: May 15, 2018

497 Midas Mufflers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 15, 2018

Went to buy tires for my f350. Was sold the wrong size. The tread started peeling off. Took truck back and was told it was a tire rod/shock problem. Took 2 days off of work (I'm a contractor) for 2 different mechanics to look at it. Was told by both that the tires on my truck aren't rated for my truck. Filed a complaint online and was called by district manager. He said he wanted to make it right. Take another day off of work to meet him after I had confirmed our scheduled time. The guy did NOT show up! When I called he had an attitude with me because he forgot our appointment. I will be suing Midas.

Original review: April 17, 2018

This has been the worst experience. So starting back end of March, took my car in to get worked on since front (what my fiancee and I thought were my brakes) squeaking. They look at it and say the brakes are fine and that it's a different issue. So $1000+ later, think my car is fine. So took it in to get inspected 2 weeks later for my tags. All the sudden my brakes are "metal on metal". Wtf! So back at Midas now. 2 hours just to look at the car and figure out the brakes situation (seriously?). Another 2 hours to fix it. Yay, that's great, cause no one needs to go to work or anything. But they're giving a "discount" on labor. Should have been done right the first time so not wasting a day, being late for work, and I'm starting to think that $1000 issue wasn't an actual issue... That it was in fact my brakes like had went there for to begin with! I am beyond frustrated and annoyed with Midas.

Get expert buying tips about Auto Service and Repair delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 4, 2018

Went in to get an oil change and check the light that came in for parking brake and ABS light. They told me the light wasn’t on when they checked it out afterwards. He told me they can scan it but doesn’t mean they can fix it which is all I wanted anyway but they were already done and to do that they would take it back and it was the day before Easter they wanted to get out of there. So I left satisfied, now 4 days later I am cleaning up the car inside wiping off where my foot rests while driving, and I see a open port that says OBD, now I know the cover is gone so I immediately call them.

Then I notice the plastic is cracked around the port. So more frustrated I explain to them on the phone. They tell me bring it back in and it’s not serious. My car is old and I said that it is a big deal. It’s my car it’s a BMW and whether old or not still same price for the parts. They told me bring it in to look at. I will but I’m not near the area now, this is ridiculous that these people can break something on your car and not even care.

Original review: March 31, 2018

On November 6, 2017, I went to Midas Auto Service located at 215 West Route 59, Nanuet, NY 10954 to replace my Catalytic Converter. However, a few months later my check engine light illuminated and once again requiring services once again for an Evaporator Valve. On March 24, 2018, I had that replaced however, on March 26, 2018 the check engine light illuminated once again. A week later on March 31, 2018, I returned to Midas. I was informed that I need additional repairs costing over $2,500. If I was aware of this sooner after being there on numerous visits the costs would not have exceeded that amount. I question the capability and reliability of the mechanics being employed by Midas.

Original review: March 6, 2018

Went in for exhaust. Service mgr ordered wrong exhaust, cut it apart to make it fit, (used flex tube). Flex tube started leaking, I was told I would have to PAY 800.00 MORE TO GET DEALER PART. I said no, he said he would give a 2 year warranty on flex tube repair. 2 days later I still do not have a car. At a time when retail is dropping off the face of the planet, I can't understand why a place with such poor service is still in business.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Midas?

Original review: March 5, 2018

I went in for a oil change, brakes, and tire rotation. Midas in Florence, KY over torqued my lugs causing damage to my bearings and my brakes. They replaced them, but I will not be going back to that shop.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

Going to the shop is like taking your life into your own hands. My daughter went for a routine oil change. She left the shop and started to drive back to school. She got to the light on the extremely busy road. At that point both back wheels fell off the car causing several thousands of dollars in damage and irreparable psychological trauma to my daughter. This was complete negligence...and could have cost my daughter her life.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

Midas Mufflers 5938 Market St Youngstown Ohio 44512 Sold Battery for $211.00 to a girl. They said she needed it & did not. After they put it in no difference. Car still would not turn over or start. Then they told her, "Too bad. You are stuck with it." She wanted old battery put back in. They said, "No!" They just took advantage of this female & many others.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

Went to Midas (in Billings, Montana) this Thursday. My driver’s side window somehow fell off the tracks, I couldn’t get it to roll up without the window dropping about half way. Went in to get it fixed, paid 250 dollars. Went out, tried the window and it still dropped about 2 inches, you had to roll it up multiple times before the window would actually stay in place. Went back in. Told them the window still is working right, their exact words “Ooo yeah we were going to ask you about that, did it do that before it started messing up, some vehicles do that as a safety mechanism, so you don’t lock your keys in your car.” Which doesn’t make any sense, whatsoever. I proceeded to say “No my car didn’t do that and that doesn’t make any sense, I just paid a lot of money for this to work.” They just looked at me dumbfounded. I got nowhere with them and now I’m out 250 dollars with a window that still doesn’t work right. Will never be going back ever.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Worst experience, unprofessional, poor customer service and poor work service. I brought my car to Midas (99 St and 3408, Edmonton, AB) on Dec 16, 2017 to fix my acceleration problem and starting issue. I had bought a new car battery thinking it need a new battery, but according to the store serviceman it was a starter issue and they will look at it and look at my acceleration issue. I left them with the car from 9am - 3pm. I came back to a bill of 940 dollars to fix all the issues. I paid and left. This include an inspection and engine diagnosis.

Problems:
1. They forgot to put my timing belt, they called and asked me to bring the car back on Monday - Dec 18.

2. On Dec 28 my car dies and unable to start. I call AMA to come and boost the car thinking wasn't a battery issue. The batter new as I bought it on Dec 14. 2 days before bring the car to Midas to find and solve the problem. I spoke to Store Manager on ** on Saturday and told that, "My car wasn't starting and I needed the car tow to your shop to fix it". He gave me the towing company they used and told me to call them and they will 75 dollars of the towing. I called the towing company and it cost 110 just for hooking up the vehicle and another 60-70 dollars to have the car towed to the shop.

Jan 2/18. So I called back the shop to be told that they can't do anything until Tuesday (Jan 2). I left a voicemail for someone to call on Tuesday morning. I didn't get any call, I called the and spoke to ** @ 9:45am and asked him to have someone to come and tow my car to the shop to repair it. Since I paid 940 dollars for this issue to be fixed. And they did an inspection and diagnosis of the car and replace the star plug. So as far as I know I paid Midas to find and fix the problem. They finally towed my car at 6:30 pm, after speaking to ** again @ 1:30pm.

So from 1:30 - 6:30pm for the 5hrs nothing was done to my car. ** says he had to talk to the person that did the write up as he didn't indicate starter issue. I told him, "It's not my problem if he didn't indicate that, you did an inspection and engine diagnosis you should have caught it then." And I told him that, "I bought a new battery which you checked off on your inspection checklist," and he said it wasn't a battery issue. Are you saying this is all because you need to confirm what another person wrote down 3 weeks ago? Seriously.

Jan 3/18. I called ** @ 11:30am to ask him if my car has been fixed. He said he's overwhelmed and understaffed and hasn't gotten to my car. He still hasn't spoke to the person that wrote up my order. Because he needs to see "if it was a warranty issue or if a new issue that you will have to pay". I said, "This has nothing to deal with me or warranty. I paid you guys 940 dollars to solve the problem of starting and acceleration. So as far as I'm concerned only 1 issue was resolved. And why I am suffering because of someone didn't write down starter issue. When I recall it and your mechanic did inspection and engine diagnosis." ** said he was going to drop everything and focus on my car and have it resolved today and to "expect a call back before we close". I didn't receive any call or update. NOTHING.

Jan 4/18. I called to find out if my car is fixed and if I can fix it. The lady tells me that there is nothing anyone can do since ** is the Manager. I asked can I speak to the Owner, General Manager, District Manager or Someone in Head Office. She avoided to give me any phone or email of anyone. She said there's nothing she can do and no one else that can help me. I said, "Are you serious that in a company of your size there is no one that can resolve this issue? You have shop full of mechanics, there is no one that fix the problem and give me my car. You are affect me as I have to pay for cabs and bus tickets for the now an entire week. Who is going to reimburse me for all these added cost?" She said there is nothing she can do. "** is off today and he didn't leave me any instructions," and there is no that can help me. She said she will call me back if she gets any information but for now "you have to wait until ** is back tomorrow".

So because ** is away nothing happens or functions at the shop? Because ** is away I can't have my car to perform my job and therefore affect my income? No response. I called the customer relations line @ 2pm and spoke to lady. I explained everything again and again I was met with the same response. "There is nothing I can do but refer the matter to Store Manager - **." I said, "Are you serious, there's no district or regional manager or general manager I can talk to resolve this issue." Her response was no. So what is the point of having a customer relations office to help deal with customer complaints or problems if all they do is refer you back to the exact Store manager who can't be help you in the first place.

I am so frustrated with Midas, i have been without a car for now over 1 week. I have been given the runaround, people are avoiding my calls and not returning my voicemails. I the customer has to call and find out the status of my car or follow-up, which is poor customer service. The mechanic who did my car forgot the timing belt and I am sure did my car so fast. Probably why they didn't catch the start problem even after putting in new star plugs. And completing an inspection and engine diagnosis.

I have paid for cabs, bus tickets which I bet Midas is not going to refund me that money. My work requires me to be mobile which is affecting me and giving me stress. And the classic is because Store manager ** is off. NOTHING CAN BE DONE. What type of business model or business continuity plan does this company have? Honest. After this experience my trust with Midas is over, and I have been a faith customer for 7 years. That is now over, I want my car and be done.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

Stay away from Midas at 55 Hampton House Road in Newton NJ and Midas in general. Absolutely, the worst service I've ever experienced. I called Midas to ask them if they could fix a leaking gas line. They said they could and I took my car to them for the repair. They took my car apart to the point where it could no longer be driven and I had no choice but to have them make the repair. It took them a week to make the repairs, while they made excuses that they were waiting for Nissan parts and lied. They never used Nissan parts but rigged it up using hose clamps and I'm assuming whatever else they had lying around. A day after I picked it up it had the same leak and it was even worse. They charged me $800.00.

They told me to bring it back in and they would call when they had the parts. They never called. I called Midas national complaint line twice and talked to a woman who took my concerns down. Both times she told me I would get a call in 24 hours. Never got a single call from Midas ever. Took it to Nissan and they charged me $400.00 to take out everything Midas did and fix the car properly. Midas lied, wasted my time, the manager was rude, and they never even fixed the car but charged me twice as much as what the dealer charged to fix it. Worst company I've ever dealt with. Do yourself a favor and go anywhere else.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

Today 11.13.17 I checked the oil in our car and found no oil on the dipstick. I know it should be full because I just had it changed at Midas. I jacked up my car, and found that the oil filter had been leaking oil. I tightened the filter so more oil would not leak out when the car runs. I put 2 QUARTS of oil in for the oil that had leaked out. I was very angry, I called Midas and was told "bring it in". I told them I fixed their screw up, I will never go to another Midas. I just hope that what they did to my car won't damage my car engine!!

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I went for an oil change and a brake inspection. When they were done, the office manager came and sat down in front of me and said I could not drive the car, the brakes were very bad, it was dangerous to drive. She showed me the price of $1283.69. I said, "I had to drive the car, I drove it in with no problem, it was the only car we had, and I did not have that amount of money." She asked if I wanted to leave the car and I emphatically said no. I had been driving the car with no problems and no noises. I left in the car and the brake pedal went further down than usual.

I drove home, 10 miles, slowly pumping the brake which slowed the car and stopped it. When I got home I called and told her about the pedal and she suggested bringing it back in even though she told me not to drive it, and they would see if they could raise the pedal. I said no, I would not come near them again. This experience filled me with extreme fear and gave me a severe panic attack. I took the car to a local independent repair shop who fixed the brakes for $560.00. What Midas charged was not only high, but charged for parts not needed.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

I had called the local Midas shop about getting tires. The manager took the time to explain how the lowest costing tires were a good tire. Now if he was a dishonest man wanting to just make a fast buck he could have feed me a line about them not being that good of a tire and try and steer me towards a very expensive brand, but he didn't. He was straightforward and this is how they are at this Midas Shop, which after reading the other reviews is sadly a rare thing, you can trust some Midas Shops.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

Been using Midas for years now never ever again. They tell me I need a tune up on Subaru not know they didn't know that they needed special sparks plugs. Now my car doesn't run right. Had to go to the dealership and have them fix Midas screw up that sucks so good bye Midas forever.

Original review: July 18, 2017

On 7/15/2017 we took our 2003 Honda Pilot to get a "free" estimate on new brake pads for the rear wheels. We went to 19009 Eastex Fry. Humble, Texas. We were told we would be given a free estimate. The service man came out and told us we also needed new rudders. Since we wanted to get another estimate, we took our car to the dealership. Not only were they cheaper, they told us we DID NOT NEED new rudders. The Midas shop did not give a free estimate. They charged us $54.86. Now I consider that to be completely wrong and misrepresents Midas in every fashion.

Original review: July 15, 2017

When I went to Midas in Baden, PA for a new muffler and emissions and inspection they told me to bring my car in for an estimate. The manager came out and said that I needed an oil change according to my stickers; I said that's funny I just had my oil changed 2 weeks ago at another facility and he said maybe it was his glasses and that he had read the sticker incorrectly. I went to the other mechanic who was looking at my car and he said the other facility forgot to put a sticker on it and I said "why would they do that" and he said sometimes they forget and he asked me if I would like him to take the old sticker off. Without thinking I said yes and I remembered that the other garage did put the oil sticker off and they scraped it off so I couldn't see that they were not trying to give me an unnecessary oil change.

Then the manager took me under the car. Showed me the hole in the muffler and in the front of the car a honey comb part that was rusty, he said I needed that too. The initial Total for the muffler, honey comb part, inspection and emissions was 527$. They told me to bring the car in on Saturday morning for the repairs. I took the car in Friday night and left the keys in the lock box. My car did not get on the rack until 3pm Saturday. They called me on the phone and told me that I needed additional repairs for inspection. New back brake pads and rotors. The total jumped from 527$ to 880$. I said that was too much for me and to hold off on it and that I would come back next week but he said my car would not pass inspection without it. So I told them to go ahead with the new brakes and rotors.

My car was supposed to be finished at 6 pm and they were not finished until close to 7 pm and before I could take it home they showed me a HOLE in the pipe close to the honeycomb part that they replaced, said I needed a new rubber washer near my tire and told me that lug nut was stripped so they sent me home without it. The additional repairs would cost 125$. I went home with a hole in my pipe not repaired, a missing lug nut and a missing washer. It was closing time and I will not go back for the additional 125$ repairs. I paid them a total of 880$.

Original review: July 11, 2017

Car repair - Midas on Rhode Island Avenue N.E. is the worst. Do not go there no matter what!!!! It's too long to write everything. But, I was given three different invoices. I was lied to and problem not fixed. On top of it all the manager ** and his employee ** had lots of attitude.

Original review: June 27, 2017

On 6/1/17 I went to Midas at 833 Alexis rd. Toledo for a total brake & shock absorber system. Inspection and replacement. They replaced rotors, Brake pads front and back and also new shock absorbers on the rear. I questioned them on the calipers and was told they were in good shape and working fine. I said if there is any chance they might fail I wanted them replaced as I am 76 yrs old and handicapped and cannot want to take a chance on it failing out on the highway. After the installation was complete they re-assured me that they checked the calipers. They were operating as they should and did not need replacing. I ask them again if they were sure and they said yes. Price $947.98.

The following morn I went to the store and was coming back down Alexis when I smelled something burning. A semi driver pulled up next to me and told me my left rear wheel was smoking and burning. I was 1 block from the Midas store and pulled in with the car smoking something fierce. They re-examined the wheel and said the calipers had failed on the left rear and they replaced them and charged me, $123.43. I again said, "What about the rotors and brake pads? How much were they damaged," and they said, "Not at all. No problem." This was on June 6th. The car sat in my apt parking lot most of the next week or so.

On the 16th of June I was going to a American Legion Ceremony in Maumee, Ohio about 15 miles from home, as I was approaching the turn at Illinois ave. I got the same smell and looked out to see my right front wheel had smoke pouring from it almost blocking my view. There happened to look up and see there was a Midas dealer right there on the corner. I turned in again with the car smoking like mad. The manager came out. And said, "It looks like you need help." I explained the problem to him and he guessed another caliper had failed. I had to go to the legion post which was right across the street. He said Instead of closing. (It was about 7pm) He said he would stay open with his mechanic and inspect all the wheels. And repair what was needed before I left that evening.

He called me at the post and asked me to come back over so he could explain what they had found. When I got there they had all four wheels off and he showed me that the front right caliper had locked up, plus the rotor and brakes had been over heated and were damaged, Then he showed me the other left front and right rear and showed me that the calipers on those wheels had failed also, plus burned the rotors and brake pads. He then showed me the Left Rear where the Alexis shop had replace the caliper on the 2nd. The rotors and brake pads had been overheated and burned. He replaced the rotors, brake pads and calipers on all four wheels and finished the car so I could take it home. I was charged $931.75. Total for both shops $2003.16.

He said he had to charge me because the other shop was in a different district and I would have to go to them to get a reimbursement. I went back to the Alexis rd. shop the next morning! To-Date I have received nothing even though they have been promising me for 2 weeks that they were taking care of it. According to the shop manager the reason is he has not been able to get ahold of his regional manager. This shop has lied to me multiple times and shows no interest in taking care of this problem! I am a handicapped, 76 year old widower and American Legion Officer and Vet. on social security and cannot afford this kind of Debt. My auto is my only means of staying active for my health and the legion.

Original review: June 27, 2017

6/23 I took my 1999 GMC Jimmy to the Midas in Wind Gap PA for an oil change. When I was paying for the change the man at the counter told me they'd found other problems including a broken engine mount. That the engine mount was useless and the engine would rock back every time I accelerated. He told me it would cost upwards of $400 to fix. I took it to a shop up the street that a police officer had recommended who said there was some slight movement and a slight crack that didn't go all the way through the rubber and the mount wouldn't need to be replaced for a while. He explained what to look for when there was a real problem and none of that showed in my car. Oh, and none of my tires were rotated either. They also said I needed new tires but the other shop said mine were good a bit longer. Avoid this shop. Get recommendations for other shops rather than give these thieves an opportunity to rip you off.

Original review: June 22, 2017

I bought air shocks for my 94 Cadillac Fleetwood 3 years ago. Recently the rear driver's side shock was leaking. It made the compressor stay on and you could hear the air coming out. (My mechanic confirmed that the shock was leaking and unplugged the car's compressor). Since I had a lifetime warranty, I took it back to Midas.

8:00 am Saturday morning they start looking at my car. They put it on the rack and "look" at my shocks. They lowered it back to the ground and raised the hood. About 15 minutes later I went out and asked what they were doing? They said, "trying to make the compressor come on". I said, "it's unplugged". I said, "if you want to test the shock, hook an air hose to it". They insisted the compressor wasn't working.

I went back out after they pulled my fuses and whacked on the compressor. I said, "what the hell are you doing now?" (The car is still on the ground.). I said, "I've told you it's the shock, not the compressor". I told them, "that's it! You are not going to screw it up! Get it out, I'm taking it home." The end of the story - I bought shocks at Autozone and my mechanic put them on. They had put them on backwards 3 years ago. So they can't even install them correctly and they don't honor their lifetime warranty.

Original review: June 18, 2017

I AM WRITING THIS REVIEW BECAUSE I WANT YOU ALL TO AVOID THIS MIDAS LOCATION(495 Route 9 South Woodbridge, NJ!!! Please do not go there. My vehicle came into the location running well. After being told on the last visit that my shock/strut was leaking gas, I decided to have the guys at this location replace the rear shock and struts. I brought it in on the above date and it took them the entire day to fix it. Didn't pick up my car until Sunday, May 28th. The mechanic that fixed it was coming back from a test drive and told me that the truck was vibrating. The truck did not do this before. I have driven all over the tri-state area and my truck never vibrated before! These kids and owner do not know how to repair cars.

1. They told me that the control arm was bad. It was replaced by another mechanic a year ago. So I took it back to the original mechanic and a screw on the control arm needed to be tightened. However, the original mechanic showed me that the shock & strut that the Midas mechanic put on was on the right rear was upside down and the axle somehow was cracked while the mechanic put the shock/strut on. Furthermore, the owner Peter is the rudest man there is. He lacks the professionalism that is needed to run a customer service driven operation. The young assistant ** is very nice. He gave me his personal cell number so that he can assist me with the "alleged control arm" situation. One thing that I was told was that the Midas isn't doing business with a distributor anymore because the prices were exorbitant. Again, I don't really care, but the kid (**) was trying to assist.

Again, the control arm didn't need to be replaced. Had I gone with their suggestion, I would have had to pay more $$$ out of my wallet. So, I wound up paying $550 at this location. Suffered emotional damage and then had to shell out an additional $823.21 to fix the damage that the mechanic did to the car. Furthermore, I am 52 years old this year. In my recent issue of AARP bulletin, the article talks about "Car repair rip-offs can wreck your day". The people at this location did just that. Tried to rip me off because there wasn't anything wrong with the control arm but a loose screw.

I'd like to please try to get this resolved before I take this to the local TV station or a lawyer. This is not fair to me and furthermore, the Midas location (despite being a garage) is a crap hole. The Firestone up the hill is clean, meticulous and the employees are in uniform. Correct me if I am wrong, but even though you’re a franchise, you should have a clean work space. I'd like to have someone reach out to me asap.

Original review: June 10, 2017

I marked my driver's side front tire with a yellow marker before going in to Midas Mufflers at 6301 North Lincoln in Chicago for a $19.99 oil change with tire rotation. Mechanic pulled my car into the shop right away and a few minutes later pulled it back out. I was surprised how fast he had finished! I went out and inspected my tires. The same yellow mark was still on the same driver's side front tire. I went back into the shop and the clerk said my car was all ready to go. I told her I needed my tires rotated first. She told me the "technician" already rotated my tires.

Then the mechanic came back in and gave me a dirty look before taking my keys and pulled my car back in the shop. Then the manager came out throwing temper tantrums and ordered me to leave his shop. He was so angry he was shouting and wouldn't take any money from me. Unfortunately, the yellow marker doesn't lie! Let the buyer beware at the 6301 N Lincoln Midas location! Zero stars. I thought Midas was a better company.

Original review: June 8, 2017

While driving down to Georgia from NY my muffler broke on the NJ turnpike. I pulled off of the turnpike in East Windsor, NJ and found a Midas shop. What a mistake. I had to have it fixed so I was stuck. I was also robbed by the Midas shop. It cost me over $600 for the muffler which lasted 2 months. I had to go to another Midas in Georgia who replaced the garbage quality muffler at the cost of $128 labor. The Midas Corporation did not care one bit that the muffler was defective and stated that I am responsible for the labor cost even though the muffler lasted 2 months. I took the car to Ford prior to having the muffler replaced in Georgia and they said that they will not touch the muffler system because it was botched and welded. My warranty on the muffler system is now void. The East Windsor manager Gary was nasty to the other customers making fun of some of the other customers. Never go to Midas as they are a rip off.

Original review: May 30, 2017

Stay away from the location and all Midas, the same franchise John ** owner has most in the area. I paid over $500 for brakes and rotors, my car still squeaks, it actually screams when I stop. I returned and Brian ** the service manager accessed the issue, wrote and sign to replace rotors and brakes, which were already paid for and brand new. After the parts got delivered to the store, I returned and was refused service. I have the manger on video refusing me service, after he signed the document to replace them. I want a refund, I didn't pay to have the same issues I came in for. This location the management and the staff are all scammers. There are soooo many complaints against this and all local stores. STAY AWAY. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY. At this point the company doesn't care about my safety, I have a warranty on parts that they are not willing to fix, very shady business here.

Original review: May 24, 2017

Went in for a loud muffler connection near the engine. Service was great and they even showed me what needed replacement. But like a dummy, I gave them my cell number so they could call me when car wasn't done. Ever have this number since the beginning of cell service history with no robocalls. Within two hours of completing service they called for a satisfaction survey. And I said service was fine but to NOT use my number again. I even went back into the store with WRITTEN instructions not to buy, sell or trade my number with ANYone for any reason and they did so anyway. How do I know it was them? Because my phone didn't get smacked with nonsense calls until after my service there. THIS IS MY CELL!!!! They use up my minutes with this garbage and I'm sick and tired. Ignored it. Since then my cell has been blowing up with robocalls, extended car warranty calls, hang up calls, free vacation calls and the like.

Original review: April 23, 2017

MIDAS MUFFLER Sunrise Hyway, BAY SHORE N.Y.... Don't go there. They are rip offs. I'd give it less than 1 star if the system allowed for it. I've brought my car down there 2 times on 2 separate occasions for different repairs. Both times were given a run around on expensive additional repairs and almost ended up with paying 100's of dollars more on 2nd visit when at first refusing the additional suggested work.

Case in point, my last visit for front brakes: I get a call from these clowns stating that manufacturer claims brake fluid to be changed, a two hundred dollar charge. That may be well and good, however I told him "No, I can't afford it right now. Please, just finish the brakes." Then I get a call 1 hour later stating the caliper is frozen coincidentally an additional 200 dollar charge. Now a frozen caliper in front end will be felt/heard, either while driving, or when driving or applying brakes the car will pull to one of sides. The car had driven fine, no front end problem when I brought it in but mysteriously developed a frozen caliper after I refused the brake fluid change. Then they changed their claim only after my confronting them with the impossibility of their bogus frozen caliper scenario. Then they called me back up and stated that it wasn't caliper after all but they placed the wrong pads on the car which is just as ridiculous a claim.

To top it all off, they inspected my car and did not put a new sticker on the car. Two days later I got a ticket for no inspection because it was up the day I brought the car to them and it took over a week for them to rectify that screw up. That ticket for no inspection actually cost me $125.00 for not having the sticker on the windshield, even though I proved they screwed up. They did not offer to pay and rectify their screw up but actually refused.

This Midas are ripoffs supreme. I'll never go back to this place again, nor probably any Midas again!! They think everybody is an old lady who hasn't ever driven a car with the problems they state your car has. If they think they can get away with it, they will screw you. This post is being posted through their system so it probably won't see the light of day there, and will be taken down pronto if ever getting published in the first place.

"HOWEVER MIDAS PEOPLE" take note; it's going elsewhere on the web as well and into as many search engines that I can tie your business to as well as through as many social media applications I can access. One thing is for sure, you will never see me spend a penny in your rip off business again!! I don't work hard to have my money swindled from me.

Original review: March 16, 2017

Yesterday was the first time I'd gone to a Midas Mufflers with my 2006 Chevrolet Colorado. They are now located where the Exxon Mobil service station has been for several years and where I generally get my oil changed. I will NEVER be trading with Midas Mufflers again. The charge for the oil change was what I expected. However, they also said I needed a new air filter so got that and was shocked at the charge $26.99. Called an auto parts store and retail is $13.25. Then to add insult to injury, they inform me that the drain plug to the rear end is stripped and that they will get one from the dealer and I can return the next day and that it will be $3.00. The charge for this came to $34.17 a total of $110.17 for a simple oil change. When I questioned the amount I was told I should have gone to the dealer. Thank goodness there are other places to go in Cortez to get your oil changed. It is now leaking oil out of the crankcase.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2017

Took my daughter's 08 Volks EOS in for oil change w/ $20 coupon. Refused to provide conventional oil change, blaming same on "company policy" since Volkswagen recommends synthetic oil change. Even continued their refusal when I pointed out that WE own the car, not VW, and with 109,000 miles on it, we will probably only keep it for 2-3 more years. But regardless - it is not Midas, or VW's business what type of oil we choose to put in OUR car - we OWN it. There is no warranty in effect on this car, if that is their "alleged" concern. I guess their "REAL" company policy is that they persuade a large percentage of their customers to use the much more expensive service, and avoid the low profit coupon business. Not smart - good way to lose customers for the long run.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2017

I went to Midas 1281 William D. Tate Grapevine, TX 76051 and met the manager ** on 12/01/16. I needed two batteries for my diesel truck (1999 Ford F-350). He had both batteries in stock. He stated that there will be a $25.00 charge to install them in my truck. I stated most places install them for free and they could place them in the bed of my truck. I put the purchase total of $301.50 on my credit card.

As I am walking to my truck, I was reviewing my receipt and noticed a "Shop Supply" charge of $13.00 added to my purchase. I went back in the store and waited my turn in line to talk to **. I asked ** about the $13.00 Shop Supply charge and was told that this is a % they add to all invoices. Again I asked what this charge is for and again I was told this is a % they add to all invoices. I am now becoming agitated and told him he is not answering my question. He reminded me there is a camera recording all this. I told him I want my $13.00 back. He answered no. Now remember there are customers in the waiting room. I told ** I wanted a full refund credited to my card. He told me that I would have to fill out a "CUSTOMER SERVICE REQUEST FOR ADJUSTMENT/REFUND" and it would take 4 or 5 days before I could get my money. I told them "No way and I want you to credit my card now". He replied "Get out of my store".

While standing there I called the police department. I refused to leave until I got my money. The police arrived and I made my statement. Upon talking to the manager he would give me the form to fill out which I did right there on the spot. Upon contacting the owner of this franchise, she plainly stated to me that what the manager did was completely in the wrong. That there should never have been a Shop Supply charge and that I would get my refund in 4 days. Very bad experience with Midas and I will never go back. How many other customers are out there that are being charged for a shop supply that should have never been applied?

Midas expert review by Lauren Fix

Midas was founded in 1956 and is headquartered in Illinois. They were originally known for their muffler service, and Midas stands for Muffler Installation Dealers’ Associated Service. Midas now has more than 1,200 company-owned and franchise locations across the United Sates and is a part of TBC Corporation.

• Estimates: Interested consumers can visit Midas’ website to request an estimate from their local Midas location. A local employee will call the customer within a few hours.

• MyMidas: Customers can create a MyMidas account. It allows them to keep track of their service history, get special coupons and/or book an appointment.

• Guarantees: Midas offers lifetime guarantees on struts, shocks, shoes, mufflers and brake pads. They offer limited lifetime guarantees on many other services/products. Some limitations do apply, so interested consumers should ask about their specific vehicles and service before having any work done.

• Online scheduling: After selecting the location they would like to visit, interested customers can book an appointment online. Appointments made online must be at least four business days in the future. For an earlier appointment, customers have to call the store.

• Best for: Midas performs services to meet the needs of most consumers looking for basic automotive maintenance and repair services.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix

Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Midas Mufflers Company Information