Midas Mufflers

Compare Auto Service and Repair Companies

Research top Auto Service and Repair Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I AM WRITING THIS REVIEW BECAUSE I WANT YOU ALL TO AVOID THIS MIDAS LOCATION(495 Route 9 South Woodbridge, NJ!!! Please do not go there. My vehicle came into the location running well. After being told on the last visit that my shock/strut was leaking gas, I decided to have the guys at this location replace the rear shock and struts. I brought it in on the above date and it took them the entire day to fix it. Didn't pick up my car until Sunday, May 28th. The mechanic that fixed it was coming back from a test drive and told me that the truck was vibrating. The truck did not do this before. I have driven all over the tri-state area and my truck never vibrated before! These kids and owner do not know how to repair cars.

1. They told me that the control arm was bad. It was replaced by another mechanic a year ago. So I took it back to the original mechanic and a screw on the control arm needed to be tightened. However, the original mechanic showed me that the shock & strut that the Midas mechanic put on was on the right rear was upside down and the axle somehow was cracked while the mechanic put the shock/strut on. Furthermore, the owner Peter is the rudest man there is. He lacks the professionalism that is needed to run a customer service driven operation. The young assistant ** is very nice. He gave me his personal cell number so that he can assist me with the "alleged control arm" situation. One thing that I was told was that the Midas isn't doing business with a distributor anymore because the prices were exorbitant. Again, I don't really care, but the kid (**) was trying to assist.

Again, the control arm didn't need to be replaced. Had I gone with their suggestion, I would have had to pay more $$$ out of my wallet. So, I wound up paying $550 at this location. Suffered emotional damage and then had to shell out an additional $823.21 to fix the damage that the mechanic did to the car. Furthermore, I am 52 years old this year. In my recent issue of AARP bulletin, the article talks about "Car repair rip-offs can wreck your day". The people at this location did just that. Tried to rip me off because there wasn't anything wrong with the control arm but a loose screw.

I'd like to please try to get this resolved before I take this to the local TV station or a lawyer. This is not fair to me and furthermore, the Midas location (despite being a garage) is a crap hole. The Firestone up the hill is clean, meticulous and the employees are in uniform. Correct me if I am wrong, but even though you’re a franchise, you should have a clean work space. I'd like to have someone reach out to me asap.

I marked my driver's side front tire with a yellow marker before going in to Midas Mufflers at 6301 North Lincoln in Chicago for a $19.99 oil change with tire rotation. Mechanic pulled my car into the shop right away and a few minutes later pulled it back out. I was surprised how fast he had finished! I went out and inspected my tires. The same yellow mark was still on the same driver's side front tire. I went back into the shop and the clerk said my car was all ready to go. I told her I needed my tires rotated first. She told me the "technician" already rotated my tires.

Then the mechanic came back in and gave me a dirty look before taking my keys and pulled my car back in the shop. Then the manager came out throwing temper tantrums and ordered me to leave his shop. He was so angry he was shouting and wouldn't take any money from me. Unfortunately, the yellow marker doesn't lie! Let the buyer beware at the 6301 N Lincoln Midas location! Zero stars. I thought Midas was a better company.

While driving down to Georgia from NY my muffler broke on the NJ turnpike. I pulled off of the turnpike in East Windsor, NJ and found a Midas shop. What a mistake. I had to have it fixed so I was stuck. I was also robbed by the Midas shop. It cost me over $600 for the muffler which lasted 2 months. I had to go to another Midas in Georgia who replaced the garbage quality muffler at the cost of $128 labor. The Midas Corporation did not care one bit that the muffler was defective and stated that I am responsible for the labor cost even though the muffler lasted 2 months. I took the car to Ford prior to having the muffler replaced in Georgia and they said that they will not touch the muffler system because it was botched and welded. My warranty on the muffler system is now void. The East Windsor manager Gary was nasty to the other customers making fun of some of the other customers. Never go to Midas as they are a rip off.

Stay away from the location and all Midas, the same franchise John ** owner has most in the area. I paid over $500 for brakes and rotors, my car still squeaks, it actually screams when I stop. I returned and Brian ** the service manager accessed the issue, wrote and sign to replace rotors and brakes, which were already paid for and brand new. After the parts got delivered to the store, I returned and was refused service. I have the manger on video refusing me service, after he signed the document to replace them. I want a refund, I didn't pay to have the same issues I came in for. This location the management and the staff are all scammers. There are soooo many complaints against this and all local stores. STAY AWAY. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY. At this point the company doesn't care about my safety, I have a warranty on parts that they are not willing to fix, very shady business here.

Went in for a loud muffler connection near the engine. Service was great and they even showed me what needed replacement. But like a dummy, I gave them my cell number so they could call me when car wasn't done. Ever have this number since the beginning of cell service history with no robocalls. Within two hours of completing service they called for a satisfaction survey. And I said service was fine but to NOT use my number again. I even went back into the store with WRITTEN instructions not to buy, sell or trade my number with ANYone for any reason and they did so anyway. How do I know it was them? Because my phone didn't get smacked with nonsense calls until after my service there. THIS IS MY CELL!!!! They use up my minutes with this garbage and I'm sick and tired. Ignored it. Since then my cell has been blowing up with robocalls, extended car warranty calls, hang up calls, free vacation calls and the like.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Midas?

MIDAS MUFFLER Sunrise Hyway, BAY SHORE N.Y.... Don't go there. They are rip offs. I'd give it less than 1 star if the system allowed for it. I've brought my car down there 2 times on 2 separate occasions for different repairs. Both times were given a run around on expensive additional repairs and almost ended up with paying 100's of dollars more on 2nd visit when at first refusing the additional suggested work.

Case in point, my last visit for front brakes: I get a call from these clowns stating that manufacturer claims brake fluid to be changed, a two hundred dollar charge. That may be well and good, however I told him "No, I can't afford it right now. Please, just finish the brakes." Then I get a call 1 hour later stating the caliper is frozen coincidentally an additional 200 dollar charge. Now a frozen caliper in front end will be felt/heard, either while driving, or when driving or applying brakes the car will pull to one of sides. The car had driven fine, no front end problem when I brought it in but mysteriously developed a frozen caliper after I refused the brake fluid change. Then they changed their claim only after my confronting them with the impossibility of their bogus frozen caliper scenario. Then they called me back up and stated that it wasn't caliper after all but they placed the wrong pads on the car which is just as ridiculous a claim.

To top it all off, they inspected my car and did not put a new sticker on the car. Two days later I got a ticket for no inspection because it was up the day I brought the car to them and it took over a week for them to rectify that screw up. That ticket for no inspection actually cost me $125.00 for not having the sticker on the windshield, even though I proved they screwed up. They did not offer to pay and rectify their screw up but actually refused.

This Midas are ripoffs supreme. I'll never go back to this place again, nor probably any Midas again!! They think everybody is an old lady who hasn't ever driven a car with the problems they state your car has. If they think they can get away with it, they will screw you. This post is being posted through their system so it probably won't see the light of day there, and will be taken down pronto if ever getting published in the first place.

"HOWEVER MIDAS PEOPLE" take note; it's going elsewhere on the web as well and into as many search engines that I can tie your business to as well as through as many social media applications I can access. One thing is for sure, you will never see me spend a penny in your rip off business again!! I don't work hard to have my money swindled from me.

Yesterday was the first time I'd gone to a Midas Mufflers with my 2006 Chevrolet Colorado. They are now located where the Exxon Mobil service station has been for several years and where I generally get my oil changed. I will NEVER be trading with Midas Mufflers again. The charge for the oil change was what I expected. However, they also said I needed a new air filter so got that and was shocked at the charge $26.99. Called an auto parts store and retail is $13.25. Then to add insult to injury, they inform me that the drain plug to the rear end is stripped and that they will get one from the dealer and I can return the next day and that it will be $3.00. The charge for this came to $34.17 a total of $110.17 for a simple oil change. When I questioned the amount I was told I should have gone to the dealer. Thank goodness there are other places to go in Cortez to get your oil changed. It is now leaking oil out of the crankcase.

Took my daughter's 08 Volks EOS in for oil change w/ $20 coupon. Refused to provide conventional oil change, blaming same on "company policy" since Volkswagen recommends synthetic oil change. Even continued their refusal when I pointed out that WE own the car, not VW, and with 109,000 miles on it, we will probably only keep it for 2-3 more years. But regardless - it is not Midas, or VW's business what type of oil we choose to put in OUR car - we OWN it. There is no warranty in effect on this car, if that is their "alleged" concern. I guess their "REAL" company policy is that they persuade a large percentage of their customers to use the much more expensive service, and avoid the low profit coupon business. Not smart - good way to lose customers for the long run.

I went to Midas 1281 William D. Tate Grapevine, TX 76051 and met the manager ** on 12/01/16. I needed two batteries for my diesel truck (1999 Ford F-350). He had both batteries in stock. He stated that there will be a $25.00 charge to install them in my truck. I stated most places install them for free and they could place them in the bed of my truck. I put the purchase total of $301.50 on my credit card.

As I am walking to my truck, I was reviewing my receipt and noticed a "Shop Supply" charge of $13.00 added to my purchase. I went back in the store and waited my turn in line to talk to **. I asked ** about the $13.00 Shop Supply charge and was told that this is a % they add to all invoices. Again I asked what this charge is for and again I was told this is a % they add to all invoices. I am now becoming agitated and told him he is not answering my question. He reminded me there is a camera recording all this. I told him I want my $13.00 back. He answered no. Now remember there are customers in the waiting room. I told ** I wanted a full refund credited to my card. He told me that I would have to fill out a "CUSTOMER SERVICE REQUEST FOR ADJUSTMENT/REFUND" and it would take 4 or 5 days before I could get my money. I told them "No way and I want you to credit my card now". He replied "Get out of my store".

While standing there I called the police department. I refused to leave until I got my money. The police arrived and I made my statement. Upon talking to the manager he would give me the form to fill out which I did right there on the spot. Upon contacting the owner of this franchise, she plainly stated to me that what the manager did was completely in the wrong. That there should never have been a Shop Supply charge and that I would get my refund in 4 days. Very bad experience with Midas and I will never go back. How many other customers are out there that are being charged for a shop supply that should have never been applied?

I was at the Midas (San Antonio - i10 HWY location - 78240). The technician after running series of test said, the alternator is not producing enough power and said battery is good. He said replacing alternator for $750 will take care of everything and next day I had same problem and now he said battery is not good. Spoke with some Area manager or somebody and he kept saying the same thing again and again and did not even have the patience to understand what the actual scenario was. More than spending money, if they think you are not a CAR person, they just keep saying some technical stuff and not translate to common, try to make some money. Do not go to this location if you are having major problems. They are just good for Oil change.

This is a review for the following Midas: 66 Middlesex Turnpike, Burlington, MA 01803. On August 4th, I went in for noise coming from the front end of my car. They told me I needed both front bearings. The price was high, but I was in a hurry. Later when the wheel was already dismantled they told me that it would be $500 more for sensors that "break 50% of the time during bearing replacement". This put me way over my budget. I would not have made the repair then if that would have been disclosed to me. I made calls and learned that the Honda dealer and other mechanics would have charged me significantly less for the bearings. When I drove away, the sound was not changed at all. Turns out it was the tires. The next mechanic told me that bearings rarely go bad in pairs.

They did not address the problem I asked them to address, they grossly overcharged me to repair something I now doubt was even wrong, and I now have to pay to fix sensors they broke. They were difficult to talk to. Now we are trying to repair that damage caused by this shop and a family friend mechanic, who is looking at it now, said that it's a mess where these bearings had been replaced and there are lines cut and sensors missing everywhere. This place has many negative reviews about fraudulent service and should not be able to continue to operate. I am in the process of submitting a report to the Office of the Attorney General of the State of Massachusetts.

It's Veterans Day and Midas Mufflers is offering free oil changes to Veterans... Manager very rude and told us to leave after 4 hour wait, wouldn't answer Veterans questions as to why we were not checked in till 2 hours after our arrival time. Was told our car had too much plastic on it for all but one of their bays... I wanted to know how they managed to change oil in so many cars that came in behind us that had more plastic than ours. That is when we were told if we didn't like it to leave. Manager handed the keys back, turn around and walked away...

Several other Veterans were also waiting a long time... Seems like Midas's regular customers got service first... We watched many cars, trucks, and even a bunch with a lot of plastic, come in, get free oil change and leave. Lied to us then mentioned our car used synthetic oil. Nothing was mentioned in advertisement and we were told on phone that free oil change included synthetic oil... STAY AWAY FROM REDDING CALIFORNIA MIDAS MUFFLER/SERVICE SHOP.

I had my car serviced at a service company down the street. They replaced my radiator and rear brakes. My wife and I took a small trip and on the way home we heard a thumping noise. I thought it might be a loose muffler clamp and I took my car to Midas in Northfield, OH. They found 1 missing caliper bolt that was not put in when the brakes were installed. The other bolt needed tightening. Regarding the radiator replacement there were 2 missing bolts that hold the plastic shield that protects the fan.

Midas was so concerned for my safety, they would not let me leave until they replaced the missing bolts at no charge. They have earned all of my family and my company's future business. These men should be complimented. They are special employees. Midas at Northfield has earned all of my future business. Thank you Midas.

I went for State Inspection to Midas Service Center at Bridgeville. They told me that my outer tie rod got to be replaced. I said ok that. After couple of hours they told me that even inner rod has to be replaced. Then I said, they initially charged me 546 dollars and then took the van for delivery. As soon as I took the delivery I told him the power steering fluid is leaking. Then they told me power steering fluid pump has gone, then I changed it and fluid hose as well. Again they charged me 542 dollars or so and then after that also my vehicle still has issues. So again I went and ask them now they are telling "Your rack has gone. You have to change that". This is ridiculous and unaccepted. Here after I will never go to Midas service center.

I woke up a week ago on the 9th of September 2016 to find a dead battery. I was supposed to take my car into Midas in Sierra Vista, Arizona for a oil changed. I called to ask Scott how much I would be charged for sending someone out to charge my battery. He sent out Jose to charge my battery. Then I took my car into for my scheduled oil change. And when the car was ready I could not pick it up. So Scott and Jose brought my car to my house. I have never had such awesome service from any other place that I have taken my car to. I am so grateful that Scott goes out of his way to help his customers in not only their time of need, but whenever you take your car into Midas. I have found a new place to take my car for any service which I may need on it from now on. I AM GOING TO TAKE MY CAR TO MIDAS!!!

I was overall extremely dissatisfied with my experience with Midas. I paid $800 to get new tires for a trip I was on only for two of them to completely blow out ten days later. I have hit curbs much bigger than the one I hit and I have never seen anything like this happen. It's obvious that the tires used for my car were defective but despite multiple calls to the district manager I still had to pay $200 to get my two tires replaced in a completely different state. The part that makes me angry esp is that I asked for all information in warranties, but my invoice shows that I denied coverage for tires. Obviously this company just wants to profit off of its customers.

I been charge 150 dollars to fix my air conditioner and was not fixed.

I went to the Midas on Columbus st in Grove city. I walk into the place the customer service guy by the name of Shaun or Sean, approached the front desk and said to me "Hi. Can I help you?" I said "Yes I have a noise coming from my passenger front side of the car. I had a mechanic install axle on my right side. Can you check? I think it's loose." Shaun says "It's going to be a $99.00 diagnostic." I said "I've been coming for the past 9 years and the company never charge me." He snapped at me the tone of his voice. I said "Why are you getting angry in my soft voice?" He said "We don't do nothing for free." I said "Sir that's not the question. I'm asking you if you can help me." I said "How much will it cost with his unprofessional Customer service?" He was rude, disrespectful and has anger problems towards women.

I felt like I was discriminated cause I'm a woman - he thinks women don't know about mechanical issues! He shouldn't be working in that field. He just wants to push buttons and yell at his customers with his mean self. I said "I'm going elsewhere" and "stop the threats". Happen August 30, at 2:45pm. I'm never going back there. Midas lost me as a customer.

The reason for my review is because I feel that I was scammed by Midas in Medina, Ohio and I would like to make other potential consumers aware of their shady business practices. On Saturday July 30th, 2016 I took my car to Midas, located on N. Court St. in Medina, Ohio. When I got there, I told the guy at the front desk (later I was told that his name was Jim) that I wanted to get my air conditioner fixed. He said that they would run a diagnostic on my car to find out exactly what was wrong with it. He took down my contact information and I gave him my keys.

Later that day I got a call from Jim and he told me that they had run the diagnostic and my car needs to have the COMPRESSOR replaced, as well as a new radiator. I asked him how much it would cost and he quoted me $684. I told him that I was coming to pick my car up. When I got to the store, Jim offered to show me the holes in my radiator and compressor. I declined to look and told him that I would be back the next Saturday for repairs.

On Saturday August 6, 2016 I called Midas at about 9:00 a.m. to make sure that they were open. When I called Dave answered the phone. He told me that they were open, and he asked me for my first and last name so he could look my information up. At that point he told me that it would cost me $839 to get my air conditioner fixed. I told him nevermind, and that I was not paying any more than $700 because that is what I had been quoted the week before. He then said "okay we can do it for $700." I said okay. A few minutes later Dave called and left a voicemail that again said that they would do the work for $700 and that he wanted to make sure that I was still coming. Minutes later, I dropped my car off at Midas and left.

About eight hours later I received a voicemail message from Dave that said that even though they replaced my condenser (not compressor) and my radiator, my car was still blowing out hot air and the air conditioner was still not fixed. I called Dave back and he said that Jim (that’s when I was told what the first gentleman’s name was) should have told me that I needed to have a full diagnostic done and that would have cost an additional $79.99. He also told me that my car still needed a compressor and that would cost an additional $2300. I told him that I was coming to pick my car up. When my husband and I arrived at the store, Dave kept trying to explain that the mistake was Jim's fault and that Jim had been fired that week. He told me that he felt bad and that he (of course) wanted my business and wanted me to let him fix the compressor for $2300.

I told Dave that I did not even think that I should have to pay $700 because my air condition still was not fixed. My husband then asked him why he moved forward with the work on my car if he was not sure what was actually wrong with it. Dave never did answer the question. Instead he said that he would call the district manager. He went into the repair shop and picked up the phone. Then an auto tech came out and explained that he felt bad about what happened to my car but it was Jim's fault because Jim did not do the proper diagnostic. Later Dave came back and said that he could not get in touch with a district manager but what he could do was keep my car until a supervisor called back.

At that point I told him that I would just pay the $700 because I wanted to leave. Dave still continued to try to explain the difference between a compressor and a condenser, instead of just processing my credit card and giving me my receipt. At that point a left my credit card on the counter with my husband and I walked outside. A few minutes later I went back in and asked my husband to make sure that he got my receipt. My husband came out with my keys. I got in my car and the air conditioner still did not work. Also, I would like to mention that later that day I went to their Facebook page to write a review about my experience. Someone from that location responded by saying they were sorry and asked me to contact them, and then they reported me to Facebook & removed my post even though it was not inappropriate in any way.

Had a pulsing sensation when braking at high speed. Figured my rotors needed to be replaced. When the technician looked at the vehicle he told me that I also needed new calipers on both sides. He also reported that the back brakes needed new shoes. I let them do the back shoes but not the front. Took the car for a second opinion and was told the calipers just needed servicing not replacing. Went from $1100.00 to $480.00. Used the Midas on Ellesmere Rd. in Toronto. Don't go near them. They just want your money.

I brought my car to Midas on June 7, 2016 because my air conditioner went out. I was told it needed a new fan and it would cost $299.04 so I had the fan out in. From the start the fan smells funny and makes a humming noise. I was told by Forrest that the noise and the smell was normal. On July 16, 2016 the air conditioner had a funny burning smell and went out again. I took it back to Midas, they looked at it and said a fuse blew out and they replaced it for free.

On July 25, 2016 the air conditioner had a burning smell and went out again. I took it back to Midas and Forrest told me it’s an electrical problem and his “electric guy” was not there and won’t be there until July 27, 2016 and it could cost starting at $30.00 to find the problem. I then took my car to AutoZone so I could buy some new fuses to replace the blow out ones. I opened my glove box to get the manual out and my glove box falls onto the floor of my car. I open the fuse box and the tool to get the fuses out is missing. I went into AutoZone and asked to borrow something to get the fuses out. I replaced the fuses turned on the car and the air conditioner and the fuses blew out again. I put in more fuses and the air conditioner will work but only on low and only for a few days. When my husband went to put the glove box back on the clips were missing to put them on.

On July 26, 2016 my husband went to Midas to ask for the clips to put my glove box back on with because Midas never bothered to put it back on the proper way and he asked where the fuse tool was. Forrest was a jerk to him and told him “I have $30,000 worth of tools why will I take that crappy plastic thing. Then Forrest told my husband the clips were in the glove box. So they Forrest (the manager) knew his people didn’t put my glove box on the proper way. On July 28, 2016 my air conditioner is getting weaker and weaker and then goes out AGAIN. Forrest and his people messed the electrical system connected to my air conditioner when they put in the new fan. And they won’t do a DAMN thing to fix it!! STAY AWAY FROM THIS SHIP!!!

I am a 68 year old, old fool. Because of the manager and the fact it is national company, I assumed that they would be good. I didn't check parts prices at Autozone or look up labor costs. I paid $1200.00 for the brake job and after 6 months took it up Blue Ridge mountains in N.C. Going up no problem, coming down the brakes started grabbing and I had to downshift to get down the hill.

On my return I took it back to Midas. I was old I refused to have my calipers replaced and they warped the front disk one right side. I told him since it was going to warp the front disks why had he not told me and he Said he did. I checked the price on all the parts and told him he had over charged me into the first place and only patched up my brakes. He refuse to fix them and said he would do it for a hundred and fifty more. I refused to pay more and picked up my truck.

I just want to share my negative experience. I brought my truck in for service in running condition to a local Midas in Arlington, TX on 7/4/15. They did all the work that was quoted which was for the A/C and replacing the spark plugs. Was told on 7/6/15 that the truck was complete and everything was running good. Got a call the next day on 7/7/15, that the truck wasn't working. They offered to drain out the oil for free but weren't able to figure out the cause. When I was finally able to come check out the truck on 7/18/15, the manager, Matt, offered to refund the money for the spark plugs and that they would have the truck towed to a local mechanic because now the battery had died as well. After having the local mechanic look at, the truck needed a new engine that ended up costing $4500+. Not sure how the truck could go from running to needing a new engine in the span of several days.

Lastly, they didn't even bother to contact me in regards that they had closed my complaint out months prior giving this reason: "the truck had preexisting overheated motor issues and there was coolant in the oil which could not be caused by any service they performed." And they would offer to replace the spark plugs. Funny thing is prior to this I never had any issues with "overheated motor issues" or I would have addressed it accordingly. I always perform all maintenance/preventative services needed to address any issues. I have all my service paperwork that I have done to maintain my truck. I actually trusted this location to perform work on my truck, brought it here prior for them to change out my shocks which I thought they did a good job on so I brought it back again for other work but that was a mistake.

Took my 2002 Lexus gs 300 to Midas to fix a stalling and engine light problem. After having the car all the service writer calls and says you need a full tune up. I said "Np. How much?" 600.00 dollar even. Say ok, felt it was a little much, but this is Midas, will be done right. Wrong. Got the car back stalled and cut right off. Took back next day, did a 5-second adjustment, and told me the car was running right. Wrong. Engine light and every dash light came back on.

Took to another shop, says tune up was half done/not all spark plugs were changed. So I took it back to Midas cause it still under full warranty. Wrong. The service writer advise me they would charge me 1200 hundred dollars to fix the car right. I advised him, "take my car off your lift. I am done with you guys and will never ever come back to shop of ripoffs." The shop I went to is in Irvington NJ on 1166 Springfield ave. Please beware. They are crooks and do very shabby work. Never again. I also filed a report with their headquarters.

I was told an oil change was $29.00, yet the bill was for $32.50 PLUS additional charges for an extra liter of oil (acceptable even though only 0.7 liters of bulk oil was required) and additional charge for taxes (also acceptable). This location had sent me a $5.00 discount coupon but upon presenting it, the manager REFUSED to accept it. The oil change took place today. My vehicle now is dripping dirty oil when it NEVER dripped any did before, making a mess on my driveway. If it was leaking oil it would be the clean oil put in today. The manager must have been upset that I wanted to use a coupon sent by HIS LOCATION, and after paying the full, undiscounted amount he "asked" that I not come back. Wow, great PR there. Midas must be proud of him.

My wife and teenage son brought his 2008 VW GTI in for a state safety inspection. Before going, I had tested all lights, wipers, brakes, blinkers, tires to ensure everything worked. Midas asked that the car be left at the location for the day. Shortly after dropping the car off, Midas called my son to inform him that neither the wipers or washer/fluid worked. They offered to perform Electrical Diagnosis for $69. I'm sure there would have then charge for service and parts of whatever problem they 'found' during diagnosis. Instead, we went to get the car. We showed them that the wipers worked fine. Their comment was "I'll be damned." We watched while they completed the inspection and provided the sticker. The invoice they presented included the $69 diagnosis charge. After I showed this to them, they created a new invoice.

Clearly they saw my wife and teenage son as easy victims. No doubt most people would approve the 'repair' as the car cannot be driven without a valid safety inspection sticker (my son's was out of date). The wipers didn't experience a momentary lapse in functionality and it's certainly not possible to claim that the mechanic must have operated the switch incorrectly. Midas saw an opportunity to turn a $29 safety inspection into a $69 + repair profit - they wouldn't even have to find a problem or repair. Just claim that they fixed it. Avoid Midas and beware of other chains as well.

I went to Midas Muffler on North Main Street in Alpharetta, Georgia Thursday June 28th 2016 with a simple A/C hose leak. My 1991 Chevrolet C1500 had been retrofitted to use R134a a number of years ago and the conversion fitting on the high pressure side worked its way loose and started leaking freon. I found the leak myself two days earlier and showed it to them. The Manager at Midas in his infinite wisdom decided that tightening the fitting up vacuuming the system down then recharging was not profitable enough for Midas. He the Manager began to immediately tried up sell me a whole new hose assembly for double the price of what it cost at Autozone who by the way was their parts supplier of the hose. Total cost he said would be over $400.00 dollars. After hearing that news I walked out!

Today July 1st 2016. I stopped at one of those 15 min oil change places. Showed them the leaky fitting. They replaced the O ring to be safe then tightened the fitting down vacuumed the system down and recharged it. Total price Parts and Labor $90.91. Folks you can do what you want. But Midas clearly is not in the auto repair business to help you. They are only in it to help themselves. My experience proves it. I'm sitting here wondering what it must be like to able to charge whatever price you like based upon how gullible the customer appears to be...

I brought my vehicle in because my car overheated. Dave was the person I spoke with when I dropped my car off. I tried to explain what had happened with my car and show him a video I took of my engine when it was overheated so he could see where there was a leak. He wasn't interested in anything I had to say and remarked "don't worry I know what's wrong - there's a leak." He was abrupt and rude! He called me back about three hours later and told me I needed a part ($114) and it would take 1.8 hours to complete for a grand total of $404 - he said they charge $264 per hour labor costs so about $290 for labor. He said it may be a little more depending on how much coolant he needed to add.

Being a woman and knowing nothing about repairing cars I had no idea what he was talking about but this seemed VERY high to me particularly the labor. I called the shop again without identifying myself and asked how much they charged for labor per hour - he said it was $125 an hour. How did Dave get $290 ish in labor then for 1.8 hours of work?

One hour and twenty seven minutes after I spoke to Dave to tell him to go ahead and repair my car he called to say it was fixed already. Which would mean he didn't work on my car for even 1.5 hours which would be 187.50 in labor! When I went to pick up my car he told me I owed him $404. $264 in labor!!! I said "you charge $125 an hour and I know you didn't even work 1.5 hours on my car based on the time stamps of our phone calls." He became very rude and said he would change the labor to $188 from $264!! He didn't even work on it 1.5 hours!!

He also charged me $20 for coolant. I told him I had a jug of coolant in my trunk! He said he would take off that charge. He wasn't going to argue about something like that and lose me as a customer. (He already did when he tried to charge me for 2+ hours of labor he didn't do.) He then added an additional $24.34 to my bill for shop supplies to recoup the $20 he removed for the coolant - which I saw on the final invoice once I got home. I had asked him to also do an oil change which he charged me $49.50 for - he neglected to advise me they had a summer maintenance special where they did an oil change, rotated the tires etc for $49.

Additionally when I came home to write a review I found out they have coupons for $30 off any work over $300 which again he neglected to even mention. I have dealt with Al in the past and had a better experience (possibly because it was a different person or perhaps because I had my father with me). At least he told me I could access a coupon! This was a classic example of how repair shops try to rip off female customers!!

If there is a zero star, I will definitely give Midas in Chillicothe Ohio a big zero. I took my Mercury Montego to Midas on Saturday at 10. They checked the engine light with $90 diag service. Somebody called me at 10:38 and said the only problem was spark plugs. I told this guy to replace the spark plug set I have in my car. He got this done plus engine oil change and tire rotation done within 2 hours and 40 mins. Then guess what happened? They charged me three hours labor fee for $294!!! They included the labor fee for oil change and rotation and roll them into the total. That's ridiculous!!!

I paid and drove my car for 3 min and parked for shopping. When I started my car again when we done with the shopping, the engine light came back on. It was about 3 pm and my baby and wife had not have lunch yet. We decided to have lunch first then go back to Midas. We had our lunch and I saw there was a AutoZone. I thought why not have AutoZone check it and know what's wrong and talk to Midas then. When AutoZone guy done his job and my car shut off by itself I was not able to restarted it then. What the hell!!! What did Midas do to my car?

I towed my car back to Midas and talked to a big female call "Tammy **". She was even more angry than me. She said the spark plug is not compatible with my car!!! She said I brought the spark plugs and they are not responsible for anything. If they knew they are not compatible, why they still put them in??? Are you hoping I come back again and again? No way! I will post my experience anywhere I could find and alert people as many as I can.

I brought my Mercedes in for brake pads, and ok, it needed rotors also. Curtis told me that it also needed 2 new calipers, and that it's unsafe to drive! I was in Napa but live in Reno, and of course driving over the Sierras was a concern. I thought it odd because the car was 3 years old but just a few thousand miles over the 50,000 mile warranty. Anyway, he charged me $456/each for what he said were new rotors, but I came to find out they are refurbished. When I asked for my old parts back (defective rotors) he said he traded them in when he got the refurbs.

So all in all, he charged me retail for the new ones, but only had a small cost - likely a 400% markup. He also was upselling other customers - I heard while waiting. Curtis is a pro! He'll screw you and make you feel you got a good deal! $2,133.00 dollars later I pulled out with new pads, rotors, and refurb calipers - about $1,500 or so more than I should have paid in the first place! HE'S A CON ARTIST! I WAS SCREWED! NEVER AGAIN, MIDAS!

Compare Auto Service and Repair