Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

516 Midas Mufflers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Midas is fantastic!! I have been using Midas for over 15 years. The company is more than fair, the technicians are knowledgeable and will answer all of my questions/concerns without making me feel inferior because of my limited knowledge of cars and repairs. I appreciate this the most about this company!! The prices are fair, and I never feel cheated or taken advantage of!!!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

My daughter was taken advantage of at the Midas store in North Bay Ontario. Beware. And the corporate policy will not help us. She was over charged because she was young and was not aware of what a average cost of an alternator should be. And when I tried to stop work from starting I was lied to. And told it was complete. She was over charged 200 dollars and Midas Canada will do nothing. Because he is a franchise. Offering us 100 gift card for Midas because they know he ripped her off. Beware of a shop the takes advantage of a young woman just trying to get a education. They sure gave her an education in getting robbed. Well done Midas. Beware of this shop.

Get expert buying tips about Auto Service and Repair delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

Do not do business with Midas on Pat Booker and here is why. Def. would not be doing business with them again as I had in the past. I took my truck in and left it there. I was pretty sure that I had a fouled spark plug. They ran test and called me stating that the plug in cylinder 1 was bad and asked if I wanted them to change it. Told them I had NGK plugs and they would have to replace all of them and asked how much it would be. Was told it would be $79.99 to replace all six which seemed ok since the plugs are $7 a piece and it is not a hard job to do.

When I picked the truck up I was told it was $253.07 after arguing I had no choice but to pay to get my truck back. They said, "Sorry for the misunderstanding. We could give you a few free oil changes." Explained I do not prepay for oil changes and I just want to be charged what I was quoted. In the end I paid them the $253.07 and now will do my best to make sure no one does business with them or any of the locations owned by this group.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

In March of this year 2018, I went to Midas at 8141 Ogontz Avenue to have my brakes and tires replaced. I knew the work needed to be done. It was a matter of getting a fair price. After checking around it was decided that Midas was the most reasonable and I was able to save a lot of money with the coupons from the website. The work was done in a timely manner considering all that was needed. Special thanks to ** the manager and ** at customer service along with the mechanics that worked on my car.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I rated my experience a 1 only because 0 is not available. Don't EVER go to Midas for any of your repairs! My son took his car to Midas because he found one of his tires had a screw in it. They told him to patch up the tire would cost him $40. I found the price extremely high, but since they are literally located next door to my community, I told my son to take his car there. Once they looked at the tire, they told him that it is not repairable because of the location of the screw, and he needed a new tire. They quoted him $135 for a new tire plus labor. The total amount was going to over $200.

Since the tire was not losing air, I told my son to bring it back. I then took his car to a local tire business. They checked the tire and quoted me $15 to put a tire patch. Once they removed the screw, and checked for leakage, it turned out that a patch was not necessary. The total dollar amount that cost me was $5!!! I will NEVER go to Midas again and I want everyone to know what a rip-off business this is. I went back to Midas and spoke to the manager. He denied everything!

DON'T GET THE MIDAS TOUCH!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Midas?

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

This review is for Midas on Southland Drive in Lexington, KY. BEWARE!!! Called this location to get an estimate on having my exhaust system replaced. Was told that they could beat me out of town estimate by $300-$400. When I called to make an appointment I was told this was not true by a different employee. However, he said he could give me a better idea if he could look at the vehicle. I was leaving town that weekend so scheduled an appointment and stated I would drop the car off the night before. I told them that I was going out of town, but they could call me after looking at the vehicle to give me the estimate. I stated that no work was to be done because I had a third location I wanted to get an estimate from.

I did not hear from them the next morning as agreed upon, but I thought that they may have gotten busy with customers that were actually having work done, so I waited until the next day. When I did get in touch with them I was informed that not only had they performed the work that they were NEVER authorized to do, but now there was additional damage that the first repair shop had inspected and saw no signs of failure. I told them I was NOT paying them for work that was not authorized. I wanted them to repair the new damage (who says they didn't do it?), and to waive the labor on the work that was done without my authorization.

This would be reasonable to most people, but not here. They refused and continued to hold my vehicle hostage. I then went higher up and that manager withdrew the repairs for the new damage and stated I had to pay full cost of the repairs. I was finally able to get the labor waived and paid just parts, but should not have had to do any of this since they did all this without my consent. The cost to me was more than I paid for the vehicle. Had the estimate come back that high I would NEVER have gotten work done and would have looked into trading it in. These people are liars, crooks, bullies, and extortionists.

I filed a claim with the BBB of KY and the store ignored it. Judging by other reviews on here I can see they don't care. So now I'm going to go on a social media campaign, contact local media, and file a claim with the State Attorney General. If nothing comes from this, I will hire an attorney and sue the company and the two managers individually. I'm a 22 year old that has no outside support and this has caused me both mental and emotional anguish. I work 50 hours a week at two jobs and I'm still trying to catch up thanks to this unplanned expense. These people should be ashamed!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I am warning you. Do not take your vehicle to Midas South Bay Road! They are a bunch of con artists. I brought my vehicle in to get an inspection done to my fairly new car and they scraped my inspection sticker then found every nook and cranny they could find to fail my car. Then tell me I have to pay for the inspection and I do not have a sticker and drive home illegal and not make it to work the next day! These guys are horrible. Just bought tires there last year and THEY said they are failing ready!!! All new brakes etc. Tires don't last 1 year! I DON'T USUALLY POST REVIEWS BUT I DON'T WANT THIS HAPPENING TO THE NEXT! WARNING YOU NOW! GO to MONROE, MIDAS, PEPBOYS. It don't matter. Do not go here. Warning you now!!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

Went to Midas in Peoria AZ for a $20 oil change. I didn't ask for anything but an oil change. Tech comes out and says I need new brakes, rotors and struts replaced. A total of $2000. Went to a brake shop for a 2nd opinion and they said the brakes were fine and struts were not leaking. They also charged $39 for the $20 oil change. Midas is famous for overselling services and ripping unsuspecting customers off. I was in the waiting room for an hour, 6 customers checked out and all of them were getting sold extra services that they declined. This practice needs to end, they are beyond dishonest.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

This place was a nightmare. It started when my car wouldn't start sometime back in January. The car made some rapid clicking noises. I don't know much about cars, so I thought it might be the battery. The girlfriend and I jumped it and it started, so we figured that must be it. We were living somewhere in Pennsylvania at that time so we took it to a mechanic there and had the battery replaced. The car worked fine for three months. Three months later we were moving back to Michigan. I of course drove my car. We stopped at a hotel on the PA/Ohio border. I tried to start my car, and it wouldn't start. I thought maybe the AAA battery we had gotten was bad. We jumped it and made it back to Michigan without turning off the car.

When we finally got home, the car wouldn't start at all. I called a tow truck and took it to Midas because my girlfriend said it was a good mechanic place. She was wrong. Midas ran some tests on the car. They tested the starter, the alternator and they asked if I wanted an electronics test, so I said go ahead. They did NOT complete that test. All of the tests came back fine. One of the mechanics determined it was the battery in my key fob. I told him there was no way it could be that after I had described the events leading up to it. He assured me it was, and he started the car a few times to "prove" it. It started. I said alright and picked up the car. I got a couple miles down the road to return the alternator I had bought (because family was saying it was probably that.) I got back in the car and... it wouldn't start.

I called up Midas and the mechanic came down, showed me the slip that the two tests they had completed show everything was fine. He banged on the starter and the car started. So he determined it was the starter. I bought a starter from a shop and took it to them the next day. They replaced the starter to the tune of $272.50 labor. The starter itself from some shop cost $144.99 plus the core, which I returned after the starter was replaced. The car worked for about two weeks (I only drove it once, though, to Ann Arbor, which is about a 3.5 hour round trip).

I called up Midas and they said to bring it in again, so I had it towed to them again. They informed me they were having a crisis and a few of their employees and managers or something had just quit, so the district or regional manager was there. He did a cursory look and said the starter was bad and sometimes cheap parts from China just don't work out of the box, and not to worry because they would replace it for free. I brought the new starter to them the next day. That day, he told me I would have to pay to have it replaced. I was irritated at this point but he kept insisting he never said it would be free to replace it and then he yelled at me because I was being slightly snarky.

I took the "defective" starter back to the shop. They tested the starter and said it was perfectly fine. I took it back to Midas where the d. manager tested it again and said it was bad. I told him to test the new one, too, which he did. He said it was bad. The d. manager from Midas had used a battery charger to test both new starters. So we took both starters back to the store, he followed in his car, and we tested both starters. Both were just fine. He said ok. I returned the new starter and he took the old new one back and put it in. He FINALLY did some investigating instead of just assuming it was high ticket items and found it was simply a ground wire that was bad. It was possible I didn't need to replace the starter at all and could have saved several hundred dollars. At least he didn't charge me for the ground wire.

When I finally got my car back, I turned it on and found the radio no longer worked at all. The d. manager said they would take care of it. I went in and talked to the new manager of the store and he said they didn't have time to look at it today. I told him they weren't finished with my job, seeing as though they made my radio no longer work. He said, "That's not how it works, all these people had been waiting." But I again insisted that I was also waiting, and my car wasn't finished. He had the audacity to say then "how do I know the radio even worked before you brought it in?" I lost it and cursed at him, saying "are you ** kidding me?" He demanded I leave and I told him no, not until they fix the problem they caused.

Eventually he had some mechanic come out and look at some fuses, but found no issue. The manager said I could leave the car there overnight if I wanted and maybe they'd look at it in the morning. I said "fine". The next day, around 2 pm I stopped by to see how things were going. He was finally looking at the car and said he got the radio to work, but the display no longer worked. I again let him know it was working before I brought it to Midas. He said there was nothing he could do and he had called a Mitsubishi dealership and they told him there was no way that could have happened. Well, it obviously did. Anyway, I had the hood of my car open and I found that Midas had also broken the little clip that holds the rod that holds the hood open. The manager did the same spiel "how do I know the clip wasn't broken before you brought it in." The manager did offer to pay for THAT himself because it was about a dollar.

Later I also found the air intake clips were missing. Anyway, long story short, they screwed up several times on the diagnosis. Made me buy a starter and pay for installation. Found it may not have even been a starter issue because, oh, it was actually a ground wire. Midas broke my radio and refused to take responsibility and refused to fix it (it's still broken). They also broke the clip under the hood of my car and took the air intake clips. It was an absolute nightmare. I will NEVER go to Midas again and you probably shouldn't, either.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

Went to get oil changed on 2014 Cadillac ATS. They changed the oil. The engine light came on, took it back. They put a high valued oil filter on it again, light came back on. Took it to dealership, no car no phone call. 2 weeks later still no vehicle.

Original review: July 29, 2018

I took my car to Midas for a problem in the back of the car. They said they knew what to do. Well it wasn’t ready the next day and the problem I had was still there. I asked about it and the only explanation is that they said I didn’t want it. So they repaired what they wanted, not what I asked. I contacted the company. They did their research and determine that I was right and they were willing to cut the price of the repairs so I would get a discount. I was also told that if I brought it in right away I could get it out in 2 days. Well the 2 day wait is now going to be a week.

They said they are having trouble finding the right part so I’ll have to wait. I told them to put my car back together and they said no! This is Sunday. I’m going to asked the police to help me get my car Monday repaired or not. This whole episode has taken a month and it’s still no end in sight. The supervisor lied to me. Told me about the repairs problem I was having around 2 hours after I called and left an extra phone number. The supervisor repeated what was said to him by the employee that I didn’t want that part of my car repaired which is ridiculous because the rear end is all I wanted and they gave me one windshield wiper and fixed the horn and tuneup. They did want they wanted.

I asked them to take the unwanted repair work off and do the job, they refused me so I got the regional manager. He did his research found out that the repairs that were made had already been done earlier this year so the firm was ripping me off. They said I couldn’t get the real repair job done for free but I could get a $100 dollars discount towards the repairs that I originally asked for. The repair work was $999. $1400 all total with tax. How can I be held responsible for knowing the exact part to fix, I told them what was going on. They said they’d fix it, they didn’t and I had the money for the repairs but they lied and deceived me. Did the repairs they wanted then told me I could get the right repair if I spent a total of $2400 to complete my repairs. They were sympathetic but no makeup repairs without extra money.

They knew exactly what was wrong with my car because I drove one of the mechanics to my home in my car and pointed my problem out specifically and was told by them I needed a rear end. He drove my car back to Midas that evening. Next day I realized they did everything but the one I asked for. One of the employees that works on cars drove the car back to Midas. There is no way in the world you could ignore my problem. I was told by other mechanic last year that I would need to take care of it soon. I thought that’s what I was doing. They fixed stuff that didn’t need to be fixed. There were no problems with anything but the rear end. The only thing that wasn’t fixed. I’m going to call the police and try and get some help getting my car back home repaired or not tomorrow.

Original review: July 25, 2018

Last Year I took my car to this shop to fix my Air conditioner. They did the A/C leak detector dye and recharge it with a little of Freon that in Walmart you can get for less than 20$ And they charge me almost 400$. After that I have cold air on my car for 2 days. Took it back and they say I have a leaking according to the dye that they put. I refuse to pay 500 more after they charge me 400$ so I stay with my A/C broken for a year. Until I went back to Walmart??? And a nice Mechanic help me with trying to see was wrong with the A/C to make the story short.

In Midas they took out 3 fuse of my car that will make the A/C work so I will be force to go back to repair the car. I was suffering with hot air almost all summer because in MIDAS they tamper my car instead of fixing it. I have to say that Pep Boys' sale department where I went to go buy the fuse they help me a lot to get my A/C to work again. Thanks for nothing MIDAS.

Original review: July 3, 2018

Midas Mufflers 1150 S Santa Fe, Vista CA I would give them a '0' if possible. I am a Female Senior. In shock, disbelief, taken advantage of and very disappointed. Hit a berm with my Elantra causing a noise/vibration at the rear of my car. Road test and search under car. One tech could find nothing. Second tech says found a nick in the shock. **: Estimate 1: $517.27 Rear shocks and struts. Estimate 2: $878.97 all four shocks/struts. ** says: 'Best to do all. If not car will be off kilter.' Can be in by 7:30/out by 9:00 AM. Took car to Matt @ American Auto Clinic in Escondido, CA. 2 road tests. Search under car. Result $0:00 for time and labor. Tighten a bolt which had come loose on shock from hitting the berm. How is that for customer service and honesty?

Original review: June 27, 2018

I took my Saturn in for an oil change and to have the transmission fluid sensor checked (my engine light was on and the OBDII was giving me a code suggesting it was the transmission fluid sensor, located beneath the battery in the engine compartment). The technicians were smoking cigarettes inside the garage and even allowed one of the other customers to stand in there and smoke. When my car was returned to me, they had a long list of things that "needed to be fixed" (various leaks, etc.) which I doubted since my garage floor shows no signs of leaks from my car. I told the manager that I wasn't happy that they were smoking around my car when the doors were open and the window was rolled down. Sure enough, my car had some smoke odor when I got back in it.

I called Midas HQ and gave them a complaint. A couple hours later, someone claiming to be from HQ called me and invited me to "meet him somewhere" so he could deodorize my car. Unless their HQ is local to me, I have reason to doubt the caller was whom he claimed to be. Of course, I declined to meet him anywhere, especially since his voice was rather similar to the manager at the shop earlier. Please be advised that your car may end up reeking of smoke if you take it to Midas! If you dislike cigarette smoke, you may end up spending the day cleaning your upholstery and detailing your car as I did. Not fun and not cool!

Original review: June 24, 2018

Midas 1720 John F Kennedy Rd, Dubuque, IA 52002 - I should of grabbed a video, no way people will believe what I am about to say. Basically this Midas is the ** of all Midas's. The mechanics not only look like prison convicts, they are actually on parole (manager told me). Anyways the swearing, yelling, and cigarette smoke set the mood for this place. I only went in for an oil change. I am not even sure if they changed the oil, I need to take it to real shop on Monday. Everything else is closed now. While I was there the police were there taking a report on a mechanic that threatened a customer. I did not get to see that go down, would of been interesting. I wasn't sure who the manager was, I ended up asking and his name was **. I had to ask two people before I found out. The first employee (**) said " ** off" when I asked him. I told the manager what was said to me, he said, "Just ignore him. He's cranky." Midas is not what it use to be.

Original review: June 22, 2018

The reason for the review is because Midas take the public money for a brake service and do a shade tree mechanic job. I went to Midas because when I press on the brakes my car was shaking. I have now been back there 7 times and my brakes is still not fix. I would have done better if I got a shade tree mechanic to do my brakes. Even though I have a lifetime warranty on parts it does not include labor. They are trying to charge me 150 dollars to repair my brakes.

Original review: June 22, 2018

I was quoted one price to replace my brakes and when I got there they went from the quoted price of $190.00 to $290. I told him I was not willing to pay this and wanted to leave. The manager, Sean said he would give me the brakes for $190.00. He then insisted I needed a new radiator, my oil changed and rotaries so my $190.00 quote to replace my brakes is now up into the thousands. I told him I could not afford that and to just do the brakes. I also told him I had a coupon, this was a Groupon I paid $90.00 and the rest of the cost was covered by the coupon. Sean became extremely combative, disrespectful, and rude. He said “what's your problem, you don't have any money?” I said I came here to get my brakes replaced because I had a coupon and that's all I can afford at this time.

I work full-time and I am a college student so I am on a budget. Sean then started telling me that if I did not get my rotors replaced that I could be driving down the freeway and not have brakes and kill someone. I asked how this was possible because I was getting new brakes and Sean became more combative and verbally abusive. I reminded him that the number gave me on my rotors were within the legal range to drive. He was being such a bully and calling me names that I began to cry. I just wanted my car back.

The brakes were replaced but when I went to give Sean my coupon to cover for the repairs Sean refused to accept my coupon and charge me full price. Sean was a bully and he scammed me. I went there simply because I had a coupon that I paid $90 for and it would cover the cost of my brakes which in the end Sean refuse to accept and charge me full price. At the very beginning of our conversations I told him I had a coupon so I had to stay within the range or what if you can get allow me to spend. If Sean was going to refuse my coupon he should have told me BEFORE the service was done on the brakes so I could have taken my business someplace else. A coupon cost me $90 plus $190 for my brakes so I ended up paying $280 for brakes that should have only cost me $90 I paid for the coupon. I would never take my car here again.

Original review: June 21, 2018

The muffler on my 2002 Rav4 separated from the exhaust pipe. I brought my vehicle into Midas Mufflers (Kanata Ontario) for repair. After putting the vehicle on the hoist I was told that a substantial piece of the exhaust pipe needed to be replaced along with my muffler at a total cost of $1400.00. I thought the muffler looked fine as well as the exhaust pipe. I asked if a sleeve could be welded onto the exhaust pipe to reconnect it onto the muffler, as there was a joint right where they had come apart. I was told that it could not be done.

I told the service adviser that I was not going to put $1400.00 dollars in the vehicle and asked that he remove the muffler and I would make other arrangements to repair it. The service adviser asked me to wait a moment. When he returned he advised me that they had another solution to fix the muffler and that he would save me all kinds of money because this repair would cost only $350.00. He advised me that they were going to weld a sleeve on the pipe and the muffler. I was of the understanding that the other piece of the exhaust pipe was going to be replaced as well. The work was completed and I paid my bill.

A short time later I had occasion to look at the work that was done. For $350.00 dollars a six inch piece of pipe was welded onto my exhaust pipe and onto the muffler. This was what I had asked for. No other work was done on the exhaust system. When I returned to complain about the cost of the repair, I was told that I had approved it. They were right I did but I was of the understanding that I was getting value for the repair. I trusted the service adviser's opinion and was wrong to do so.

Original review: June 8, 2018

4/6/16, my son had his oil changed at Midas in Wakefield - he was living at URI, and therefore, I wasn't able to notice that oil was leaking from the oil pan. Went to another mechanic for tires a few weeks later. Mechanic noticed the leak and said that the oil pan plug was put in crooked. Immediately went back to Midas and they said they could "fix" the pan without the need to replace it.

Whatever they did, didn't fix the problem. We would have to bring the car back in to have the plug overly tightened to lessen the dripping. Essentially, they used an oversized plug or something. They eventually told me the dripping was coming from somewhere other than the plug - that IS NOT TRUE. Just had an oil change at Firestone. Pan was all wet within a day of the oil change. Went back to Firestone and they said the plug was leaking and that it looked like someone had already altered the pan threads. They tried putting on a larger washer, but the leak is still there. I am having the pan replaced - $379. This is all because Midas in Wakefield cross-threaded the plug/inserted in at a crooked angle and caused a leak. They could have easily offered to replace the pan due to their mistake.

Original review: May 15, 2018

Went to buy tires for my f350. Was sold the wrong size. The tread started peeling off. Took truck back and was told it was a tire rod/shock problem. Took 2 days off of work (I'm a contractor) for 2 different mechanics to look at it. Was told by both that the tires on my truck aren't rated for my truck. Filed a complaint online and was called by district manager. He said he wanted to make it right. Take another day off of work to meet him after I had confirmed our scheduled time. The guy did NOT show up! When I called he had an attitude with me because he forgot our appointment. I will be suing Midas.

Original review: April 17, 2018

This has been the worst experience. So starting back end of March, took my car in to get worked on since front (what my fiancee and I thought were my brakes) squeaking. They look at it and say the brakes are fine and that it's a different issue. So $1000+ later, think my car is fine. So took it in to get inspected 2 weeks later for my tags. All the sudden my brakes are "metal on metal". Wtf! So back at Midas now. 2 hours just to look at the car and figure out the brakes situation (seriously?). Another 2 hours to fix it. Yay, that's great, cause no one needs to go to work or anything. But they're giving a "discount" on labor. Should have been done right the first time so not wasting a day, being late for work, and I'm starting to think that $1000 issue wasn't an actual issue... That it was in fact my brakes like had went there for to begin with! I am beyond frustrated and annoyed with Midas.

Original review: April 4, 2018

Went in to get an oil change and check the light that came in for parking brake and ABS light. They told me the light wasn’t on when they checked it out afterwards. He told me they can scan it but doesn’t mean they can fix it which is all I wanted anyway but they were already done and to do that they would take it back and it was the day before Easter they wanted to get out of there. So I left satisfied, now 4 days later I am cleaning up the car inside wiping off where my foot rests while driving, and I see a open port that says OBD, now I know the cover is gone so I immediately call them.

Then I notice the plastic is cracked around the port. So more frustrated I explain to them on the phone. They tell me bring it back in and it’s not serious. My car is old and I said that it is a big deal. It’s my car it’s a BMW and whether old or not still same price for the parts. They told me bring it in to look at. I will but I’m not near the area now, this is ridiculous that these people can break something on your car and not even care.

Original review: March 31, 2018

On November 6, 2017, I went to Midas Auto Service located at 215 West Route 59, Nanuet, NY 10954 to replace my Catalytic Converter. However, a few months later my check engine light illuminated and once again requiring services once again for an Evaporator Valve. On March 24, 2018, I had that replaced however, on March 26, 2018 the check engine light illuminated once again. A week later on March 31, 2018, I returned to Midas. I was informed that I need additional repairs costing over $2,500. If I was aware of this sooner after being there on numerous visits the costs would not have exceeded that amount. I question the capability and reliability of the mechanics being employed by Midas.

Original review: March 6, 2018

Went in for exhaust. Service mgr ordered wrong exhaust, cut it apart to make it fit, (used flex tube). Flex tube started leaking, I was told I would have to PAY 800.00 MORE TO GET DEALER PART. I said no, he said he would give a 2 year warranty on flex tube repair. 2 days later I still do not have a car. At a time when retail is dropping off the face of the planet, I can't understand why a place with such poor service is still in business.

Original review: March 5, 2018

I went in for a oil change, brakes, and tire rotation. Midas in Florence, KY over torqued my lugs causing damage to my bearings and my brakes. They replaced them, but I will not be going back to that shop.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

Going to the shop is like taking your life into your own hands. My daughter went for a routine oil change. She left the shop and started to drive back to school. She got to the light on the extremely busy road. At that point both back wheels fell off the car causing several thousands of dollars in damage and irreparable psychological trauma to my daughter. This was complete negligence...and could have cost my daughter her life.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

Midas Mufflers 5938 Market St Youngstown Ohio 44512 Sold Battery for $211.00 to a girl. They said she needed it & did not. After they put it in no difference. Car still would not turn over or start. Then they told her, "Too bad. You are stuck with it." She wanted old battery put back in. They said, "No!" They just took advantage of this female & many others.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

Went to Midas (in Billings, Montana) this Thursday. My driver’s side window somehow fell off the tracks, I couldn’t get it to roll up without the window dropping about half way. Went in to get it fixed, paid 250 dollars. Went out, tried the window and it still dropped about 2 inches, you had to roll it up multiple times before the window would actually stay in place. Went back in. Told them the window still is working right, their exact words “Ooo yeah we were going to ask you about that, did it do that before it started messing up, some vehicles do that as a safety mechanism, so you don’t lock your keys in your car.” Which doesn’t make any sense, whatsoever. I proceeded to say “No my car didn’t do that and that doesn’t make any sense, I just paid a lot of money for this to work.” They just looked at me dumbfounded. I got nowhere with them and now I’m out 250 dollars with a window that still doesn’t work right. Will never be going back ever.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Worst experience, unprofessional, poor customer service and poor work service. I brought my car to Midas (99 St and 3408, Edmonton, AB) on Dec 16, 2017 to fix my acceleration problem and starting issue. I had bought a new car battery thinking it need a new battery, but according to the store serviceman it was a starter issue and they will look at it and look at my acceleration issue. I left them with the car from 9am - 3pm. I came back to a bill of 940 dollars to fix all the issues. I paid and left. This include an inspection and engine diagnosis.

Problems:
1. They forgot to put my timing belt, they called and asked me to bring the car back on Monday - Dec 18.

2. On Dec 28 my car dies and unable to start. I call AMA to come and boost the car thinking wasn't a battery issue. The batter new as I bought it on Dec 14. 2 days before bring the car to Midas to find and solve the problem. I spoke to Store Manager on ** on Saturday and told that, "My car wasn't starting and I needed the car tow to your shop to fix it". He gave me the towing company they used and told me to call them and they will 75 dollars of the towing. I called the towing company and it cost 110 just for hooking up the vehicle and another 60-70 dollars to have the car towed to the shop.

Jan 2/18. So I called back the shop to be told that they can't do anything until Tuesday (Jan 2). I left a voicemail for someone to call on Tuesday morning. I didn't get any call, I called the and spoke to ** @ 9:45am and asked him to have someone to come and tow my car to the shop to repair it. Since I paid 940 dollars for this issue to be fixed. And they did an inspection and diagnosis of the car and replace the star plug. So as far as I know I paid Midas to find and fix the problem. They finally towed my car at 6:30 pm, after speaking to ** again @ 1:30pm.

So from 1:30 - 6:30pm for the 5hrs nothing was done to my car. ** says he had to talk to the person that did the write up as he didn't indicate starter issue. I told him, "It's not my problem if he didn't indicate that, you did an inspection and engine diagnosis you should have caught it then." And I told him that, "I bought a new battery which you checked off on your inspection checklist," and he said it wasn't a battery issue. Are you saying this is all because you need to confirm what another person wrote down 3 weeks ago? Seriously.

Jan 3/18. I called ** @ 11:30am to ask him if my car has been fixed. He said he's overwhelmed and understaffed and hasn't gotten to my car. He still hasn't spoke to the person that wrote up my order. Because he needs to see "if it was a warranty issue or if a new issue that you will have to pay". I said, "This has nothing to deal with me or warranty. I paid you guys 940 dollars to solve the problem of starting and acceleration. So as far as I'm concerned only 1 issue was resolved. And why I am suffering because of someone didn't write down starter issue. When I recall it and your mechanic did inspection and engine diagnosis." ** said he was going to drop everything and focus on my car and have it resolved today and to "expect a call back before we close". I didn't receive any call or update. NOTHING.

Jan 4/18. I called to find out if my car is fixed and if I can fix it. The lady tells me that there is nothing anyone can do since ** is the Manager. I asked can I speak to the Owner, General Manager, District Manager or Someone in Head Office. She avoided to give me any phone or email of anyone. She said there's nothing she can do and no one else that can help me. I said, "Are you serious that in a company of your size there is no one that can resolve this issue? You have shop full of mechanics, there is no one that fix the problem and give me my car. You are affect me as I have to pay for cabs and bus tickets for the now an entire week. Who is going to reimburse me for all these added cost?" She said there is nothing she can do. "** is off today and he didn't leave me any instructions," and there is no that can help me. She said she will call me back if she gets any information but for now "you have to wait until ** is back tomorrow".

So because ** is away nothing happens or functions at the shop? Because ** is away I can't have my car to perform my job and therefore affect my income? No response. I called the customer relations line @ 2pm and spoke to lady. I explained everything again and again I was met with the same response. "There is nothing I can do but refer the matter to Store Manager - **." I said, "Are you serious, there's no district or regional manager or general manager I can talk to resolve this issue." Her response was no. So what is the point of having a customer relations office to help deal with customer complaints or problems if all they do is refer you back to the exact Store manager who can't be help you in the first place.

I am so frustrated with Midas, i have been without a car for now over 1 week. I have been given the runaround, people are avoiding my calls and not returning my voicemails. I the customer has to call and find out the status of my car or follow-up, which is poor customer service. The mechanic who did my car forgot the timing belt and I am sure did my car so fast. Probably why they didn't catch the start problem even after putting in new star plugs. And completing an inspection and engine diagnosis.

I have paid for cabs, bus tickets which I bet Midas is not going to refund me that money. My work requires me to be mobile which is affecting me and giving me stress. And the classic is because Store manager ** is off. NOTHING CAN BE DONE. What type of business model or business continuity plan does this company have? Honest. After this experience my trust with Midas is over, and I have been a faith customer for 7 years. That is now over, I want my car and be done.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

Stay away from Midas at 55 Hampton House Road in Newton NJ and Midas in general. Absolutely, the worst service I've ever experienced. I called Midas to ask them if they could fix a leaking gas line. They said they could and I took my car to them for the repair. They took my car apart to the point where it could no longer be driven and I had no choice but to have them make the repair. It took them a week to make the repairs, while they made excuses that they were waiting for Nissan parts and lied. They never used Nissan parts but rigged it up using hose clamps and I'm assuming whatever else they had lying around. A day after I picked it up it had the same leak and it was even worse. They charged me $800.00.

They told me to bring it back in and they would call when they had the parts. They never called. I called Midas national complaint line twice and talked to a woman who took my concerns down. Both times she told me I would get a call in 24 hours. Never got a single call from Midas ever. Took it to Nissan and they charged me $400.00 to take out everything Midas did and fix the car properly. Midas lied, wasted my time, the manager was rude, and they never even fixed the car but charged me twice as much as what the dealer charged to fix it. Worst company I've ever dealt with. Do yourself a favor and go anywhere else.

Midas expert review by Lauren Fix

Midas was founded in 1956 and is headquartered in Illinois. They were originally known for their muffler service, and Midas stands for Muffler Installation Dealers’ Associated Service. Midas now has more than 1,200 company-owned and franchise locations across the United Sates and is a part of TBC Corporation.

• Estimates: Interested consumers can visit Midas’ website to request an estimate from their local Midas location. A local employee will call the customer within a few hours.

• MyMidas: Customers can create a MyMidas account. It allows them to keep track of their service history, get special coupons and/or book an appointment.

• Guarantees: Midas offers lifetime guarantees on struts, shocks, shoes, mufflers and brake pads. They offer limited lifetime guarantees on many other services/products. Some limitations do apply, so interested consumers should ask about their specific vehicles and service before having any work done.

• Online scheduling: After selecting the location they would like to visit, interested customers can book an appointment online. Appointments made online must be at least four business days in the future. For an earlier appointment, customers have to call the store.

• Best for: Midas performs services to meet the needs of most consumers looking for basic automotive maintenance and repair services.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Midas Mufflers Company Information