1.44/5
Based on 133 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

O'Reilly Auto Parts

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 3, 2018

142 O'Reilly Auto Parts Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

Power steering pumps are not good. I paid a mechanic twice to do the repairs. I brought it back to get it replaced. 3 power steering pumps didn't work so I got a return and went to another part store to get the pump. Now my car is running like a champ. Stay away from this store.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

I have been using O'REILLY Auto Parts for many years and have always had a very satisfactory experience. Since moving in 2001 to my current location I have used the Warrensburg store numerous times and as always have had a good experience. Their prices are fair and customer service is always top notch. One time I went in looking for a part and didn't know the name but the gentleman that waited on me did and took me right to it. I have had several dealings with Rusty and this guy just goes way above and beyond in helping where he can. I have told several people to seek out Rusty when they go there to buy parts. He is also very helpful if another employee doesn't know exactly how to locate a part. He is an expert at his job, customer service and helping fellow employees. It's always a pleasure in dealing with this store. I know a couple of auto repair shops and they have the same opinion of Rusty and the Warrensburg store.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

For over 10 years I have used O'Reilly Auto Parts in at least eight states literally from coast to coast, North to South, and in the Midwest. I have used at least 19 different locations as well as their online ordering. With only the exception of two individuals, I have found their staff to be very courteous, friendly, professional and helpful. More than likely they have either the great quality part I need or the inexpensive item I want because I'll probably never need it again. They have always readily accepted any item I have tried to return and of course I keep any item I may need to return in good condition. Their database has allowed me to get replacement items under warranty without having to keep track of my sales ticket as they keep track of all my purchases on my rewards account.

Their loaner program has saved me a bundle of money by not having to purchase specialty tools I may only use once or twice a lifetime. If they do not have a part I need in-stock, they will locate a store that has the item and have the other store hold it for me. I have had only good experiences with redeeming the discount coupons they send me automatically by email. The only reason I did not give them five stars is because I can still usually get my oil cheaper at Walmart; however, O'Reilly's is very much my go-to auto parts store.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I am actually getting tired of being asked a million questions about my vehicle. I'm needing a replacement headlamp for a 98 F150. Lariat. I don't feel that engine size or whether its 2 or 4 wheel-drive is relevant when looking for a headlamp.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I bought a Power Torque Rebuilt 5.4 Ford Engine for my 2000 Ford pickup. I had always had good luck with warranties from O'Reilly's in the past and this engine carries a 3 year, unlimited mileage warranty. Immediately after putting it in, it starts making a slight noise. I changed the oil and added a quart of Lucas hoping that the noise was a lifter that had not settled down yet. Needless to say, it just kept getting worse. I finally got time and money to have the engine pulled to send it in for warranty. That's when everything changed. It took almost a month before I heard anything. O'Reilly had me deal with the builder instead of covering the warranty.

Of course the builder said it was not their engine but was caused by engine management. They offered to give me correct price back for the $3000.00 engine. When I tried to discuss the claim, I was told to deal with O'Reilly's. When I did this, they said the engine looked bad and it must be something we did. This was December 4th which, at that time I told them to send my engine back. It sucks. January 3rd and I am still waiting on my engine. Long story short... DO NOT buy a special order engine or transmission... O'Reilly's will NOT honor the warranty. Not to mention it has been more than 2 months and I don't even have the engine back so I can try to fix it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about O'Reilly Auto Parts?

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

Have used O'Reilly's for over 25 years! Have used their parts on all my own vehicles and over 100s of others. Had people go there and buy it from them as well so I could repair their cars. I recently bought an alternator, using my O'Reilly's "rewards" card and the same phone number I’ve used for years! Well the alternator went bad on my son's vehicle (after only 6 months) which is not O'Reilly's fault. Stuff happens... So as normal it was lifetime. Took it off and back up to O'Reilly's. Well for whatever reason they couldn’t find it in their system using my phone number so I called the original store I bought from. Still NO luck. This is the second time they couldn’t find it in the system??? The last time I finally found the receipt. It was clearly their alternator. It was theirs, their part number sticker was still on it?

All the other parts stores use different numbers and brands as well. It was theirs! But couldn’t replace it?? Or wouldn’t!! A lot of the employees even know me cuz I frequent them often! So I called back again to plead my case but to no avail! So I went next door to NAPA! They had a new one in stock. I was wanting a reman for the cost so they sold me a new one for the cost of what a reman from O'Reilly's would have cost me! I have used NAPA a few times in the past when O'Reilly's didn’t have what I needed and they always had it! Napa is my new store. If there is a Napa near you. I’d suggest you give them a try. I guarantee it will be your new store as well!!! Napa know how I tried giving them a half star! But it wouldn’t let me. From now on I'll recommend them (NAPA) to everyone I know!!!

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

We have purchased 3 new thermostats in about one year. The last one was purchased about 3 months ago. Problem!!! I am sitting broke down due to overheating yet again, but this time I am 6 hours from home. Was in the middle of the forest in the middle of the night and cold outside. Not safe, I am not buying another product from O'Reilly's again. Poor product, thermostat should last longer. FYI we tested the last thermostat and it was bad. NEED TO FIND ANOTHER SUPPLIER O'REILLY'S. You've almost blew up my car.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

My wife's car broke down in O'Reilly's parking lot in Orange, TX on Dec 9, 2017. Oil had leaked from engine valve cover onto alternator causing it to stall then die. Went in the store one of the employees immediately came outside and checked the voltage with a meter. Half of what it should be. All the employees helped in one way or another. They sold me a new alternator and called a traveling mechanic who had me going back home in a few hours. I was going to call a wrecker and have the car towed to a shop. These people saved us towing charges and the car probably wouldn't have been repaired until Monday maybe. That's what I call really, really good service. Hope they all get raises. The car was a Hyundai Veracruz limited by the way. Alternators should not be mounted close to the ground and under the engine. Merry Christmas and God bless the employees at O'Reilly auto parts in Orange, TX.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

Very poor customer service! Will not provide copies of our billing... Will not process labor claims. Do not join certified auto repair program... You will be sorry! Feel free to contact me at ** and I will provide details along with copies of our unprocessed labor claims.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I bought a fuel pump for my truck. After installing I realized there was a short in the wires. There was nothing wrong with the pumps and they wouldn't refund me. Now I'm out almost $90 and I have a part that I'll never need. Buy parts online. You have a wait time but at least it always half the price or better. I'll never go there again.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

I recently purchased a double flare tool kit for flaring my 1/4" brake line. When I got home I began to try and flare the brake line, the clamp kept falling off, and actually wore a spot in the holding tool preventing me for flaring any more. The tool came with a year warranty. I return to O'Reilly and they told me they could not refund me because it was used, NOW how and am I suppose to know if it works if I do not use it. Then they told me I could replace it with a new one, Which they did not have one in stock, they took my phone number and told me they would call me when one came in, that was over a 2-weeks ago. 1 replacement will not do me any good, but I will take it. I have not received any call as of 11/10/2017.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I called to see if they had small batteries such as are used on go-carts, scooters, etc. The employee said I had to have a part number for him to tell me if they had them; actually I was calling HIM for the part number. Very rude. Then my wife went in to get a water hose for her Hyundai. He showed her one that was very long, clearly not for her car. He then rudely dismissed her as not knowing what she wanted. May have been the same employee but we have no identification for him sadly.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I purchased a U-joint from O'Reilly of Ottawa Illinois. After a few miles of driving the U-joint busted throwing my drive shaft to the ground and up hitting my transfer case. The transfer case spun and busted the bell housing between the transmission and the transfer case. I turned in all my receipts to O'Reilly because the transmission was rebuilt and the transfer case was replaced. O'Reilly's manager told me to turn in the receipts of all the cost and I did. Upon an investigation into what happened O'Reilly is not going to do nothing. They're 100% satisfaction guaranteed means nothing that is plastered on the front of their buildings. They are not going to satisfy me. They are not going to do anything as far as satisfying the customer. $3,000 worth of damage done to my vehicle and O'Reilly will do nothing to compensate me.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

I went to O'Reilly's at 1030 28 Bypass in Anderson. I needed to inquire about the stop leak they had sold me a few weeks before (with 100% guarantee) because it's still leaking. Which requires my buying more fluid. I had noticed that the prices were considerably higher than other local stores all. I pulled up the closest Walmart on my phone with distance and current price. I went to the counter and attempted to speak with salesperson, I was cut short and directed to someone else. The other person informed me that they couldn't do that because the product I had was $9 or higher. I tried to explain that the product I had was in fact $3.99 and the Walmart price was $1.77. Both were Preston and both 12 ounces. I was dismissed because their auto department was closed. The fact that they could see the ad made no difference. I left without purchasing anything.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

Working on customer's Toyota Tacoma (2001) doing a front end job. She brings me all the parts purchased from "Her" parts guy in town. Most, if not all of the parts are manufactured by a company called Import Direct. Problem One: Sway Bar Link kits: Right and Left sides take opposing ball-joint type links. I open the boxes (different part #s) to find the exact same parts in each box. I have to return one and order another. This prolongs my job another two days.

Problem Two: While installing lower ball joints, I was confronted with a set of 4 bolts with metric threads and SAE heads. Original bolts had much smaller head size, while these new bolts were much larger but not metric. Opened second box for other side of vehicle and noted that the bolt head size was in fact a 17mm. All bolts stamped 10.9 (Hardness of the steel). Bolts in first box, although they have the correct thread size and count have 5/8" SAE heads.

This is totally confusing and the bolts should all be the same (and metric) regardless of which box I open. These parts on a metric vehicle should be "metric".

Contacted auto parts store that sold her these parts, and was told "Well you just have to have patience when working on any vehicle". Really? I will never buy parts from this retailer, nor will I buy from O'Reilly's Auto Parts since a quick search indicates that Import Direct is owned by O'Reilly's and they primarily produce "Remanufactured" parts. This has been a bad experience all around.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2017

Bought an alternator for my 42 year old vehicle. When I went to install it, the threads were bad and could not tighten the bolt to keep the belt tight. Being this is a seldom requested part, they only keep 1 in stock, and with my vehicle down, was able to find one around the corner at AutoZone. I simply planned to take this one back for a refund. When I took it back, I was immediately blamed for using an impact wrench. First of all, I said, any idiot who tries an impact for this shouldn't be working on vehicles, plus there is no room for an impact anyway. Then he changed his mind and said I cross-threaded it. I held the bolt up so he could clearly see it and stated that this bolt has clearly not been cross-threaded. If the bolt ripped the threads out of the hole, the threads on the bolt would definitely show some damage.

The employee said I would have to deal with the manager, so I asked when he would be there. When I went back, he was not there, only the assistant manager. Apparently, the manager is the only person who can make any decisions, so I had to return another day and finally was able to talk to the manager. Now he tells me the only thing he can do is give me another one, which by now had been reordered, since the one on the shelf had been sold. I told him I had found another so I could get my vehicle on the road. He would not refund my money, so now I am stuck with an alternator I do not need and a 2nd core charge.

When I took the old one back to get my core charge refunded, I didn't have it in a box, as the new alternator, which I no longer needed, was still in the box. They said they have to send it back in the box, and asked if I could get it for them. I said no, the new one that I no longer need is still in the box so I can try to sell it to someone who needs one. I told them I am done with them. I talked with a couple other auto stores and was told I would have been refunded since they too only have 1 in stock. I have done my own auto repairs for 35 years and currently have 5 autos in my household. I will never make another purchase from this chain. The way it looks, I should have read the reviews before stepping foot in their door. The lesson learned is if you buy something, and this would go for any auto parts store, give it a 100% check over to make sure it is good BEFORE you take it out the door.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

I had ordered parts on Friday. Called on Tuesday (the day the parts were supposed to be there) a guy called A.J. (wouldn’t give last name). I asked what info he needed to find my parts (I’d already paid for). His answer threw me for a loop. He said if I was going to be rude he was going to hang up on me or I could come to the store and handle this face to face, so, I drove the 16 miles to the store to speak to his manager which did no good. He was still running his mouth at me when I left and the manager just stood there, of course I won’t go back. Ever!! Any business that allows that level of rudeness to a customer.

Original review: July 1, 2017

My disappointment with O'Reilly Auto Parts west Colonial Dr. I call O'Reilly Auto Parts to know if they carry cylinder head bolts for a 2011 Chevy Aveo job I was doing. The person on the phone answered me that they have it in stock for $55.99 and they have Fel-Pro a (supposedly) high class brand. I went the next day and get it along with a head gasket, my total was $107 for both, and they also provide me a copy of the torque specification under my request. The lady at the counter even told me that I have one year warranty. I was disappointed when I opened the box and found 10 rusty bolts in two bags. Since I already bought them, I went ahead and start the installation.

According to the paper she gave me at the store, the torque specs for head bolts are 18 Fefe pounds plus 90-90-90-45 degrees each turn. On my 3rd pass, one of the bolt snapped in the head and there is no way to remove it since the head was completely off and fell into the engine. I chased it with a magnet and brought if to the store with my receipt. The same lady this time told me I have to bring everything back in order to do something and after talking to her "manager" in the back, she change her version to tell me this time it's all my fault. How can it be since I didn't even finished tightening them to specifications when that happened? I consider they stole my $107 and ruined my job. My recommendation is for any reason, don't buy head bolts and/or engine parts (interior) from O'Reilly Auto Parts. You will regret it like me. They sell crappy used parts for new.

Original review: May 24, 2017

Very disappointed that O'Reilly Auto Parts Veterans Memorial Pkwy would not refund for a return car jack with original packing... and receipt... however for some reason the cashier either wanted to get me to debate or was just had a bad mood day. After conversing with a supposedly a manager... it was decided that it had been used and out of warranty... however the jack had not been used by me. And was in my car until it was total. I am trying to wrap my mind around what a refund versus losing a customer would weigh the most. I am sure this company want last... but wanted to let others know what they may face.

Original review: May 2, 2017

For the last year + you can't get in & out because of poor service. You can't buy a quart of oil & Check out without waiting in line for others to order parts. Why come here & wait... & wait... Marshall store is badly understaffed or just poorly managed. I've done business with you since1997. But have to change due to the service. Only want to keep a good store & I truly mean to help correct a problem that could lead to a closure of a business I have depended on for a while. Thank you for the opportunity to shine a light on a problem that can be devastating to a customer base. Have many times in the past been grateful for their help, so just want to save a convenient location. Please have a check out for off the shelf sales that does not include waiting for parts to be hunted while in line.

Original review: April 26, 2017

I recently purchased an ignition switch from the store. I was never even able to use the part. The car I needed to install it on, I couldn't even uninstall the old one off of it. Therefore, I had no need for the part. I took my receipt and the part back, and the guy said it had "definitely been used". Referred me to come back and talk to his manager in an hour, as there was nothing he could do. I've been a manager for a store before, so I know sometimes you DO need a manager's approval. I came back and the manager said the same thing. I never even opened it. When I called about buying the part in the first place, they had warned me that "it had been sitting on the shelf for a long time, and it isn't going anywhere any time soon", but I honestly thought I needed the part.

I informed the manager, as well, that I didn't even get to use it because I couldn't uninstall the original one so I never even took it out of the box except to verify it was even in the box. He insisted that it must have been used (obviously, never tested it, just by 'looking' at it). I informed him that this simply was not the case. Then he said my mechanic must have tried to, when I never even brought the part to my mechanic! I had to have the car towed there, and kept the part at my house on the table. Then he asked, "Well, did someone have dirty hands" while holding/touching it?! Tried to show me the difference in the parts how it should look cleaned versus how it does look. But the condition I tried to return it in is the condition I bought it in.

I'm HIGHLY disappointed. My girlfriend tries to use O'Reilly ONLY, even when they may cost a little more, and have made it her "first stop". She has had a couple of their locations work with her (let her borrow tools when she broke down) and help her as much as they are allowed to. I don't find the way they handled it, rejected my return request, or the whole ordeal worth ever going back to. Neither does she. Honestly, we'll stick to ANY OTHER company if that's how they handle the ordeal or if they could accept an unused (by me) part and just don't want to. I'll at least definitely stick to only the O'Reilly stores that have treated her 'right' if this is a special case. She's unconvinced in returning at the moment, however.

Original review: April 8, 2017

I usually shop at Advance Auto Parts. But on this day I decided to give O'Reilly's a try since a brand new store opened the same distance from my house as Advance. The only thing I needed was tire dressing. I went in the store, said hi to everyone, the tire dressing was in the first aisle so I went right to it. I knew what brand I wanted, did a quick scan, found it, turned to make my way to the cash register and there was a worker just getting to the aisle, looking at me while reaching for an (what's on sale) flyer. I followed him back to the register. He took the flyer and put it away (under the keypad). Tells me he didn't need it. That really made me feel uneasy, like I was some sort of criminal. I never use the (race card) but it feels like I should use it this time. My first and my last time in this store.

Original review: April 6, 2017

On March 27th purchased a couple of perfect match duplicator paint spray in Chatsworth California, the paint was not the correct color. When I hold the cap against the car, they were not the same. On March 28th I returned the spray paint and the cashier "MARITZA **" said the credit of $17.38 goes back to your card. And I had to order the paint on line. Well, I got my credit card statement: I have been charged 3 times $17.38 for 2 can of spray paint. The credit slip that she said will go back on your card was another charges.

Good thing is I kept my credit receipt to file a dispute with the card company. Then when I went online, Noticed that my "Rewards has been Expired" as well. They make you do business with them to get the reward. But they wont tell you; If you do not use your rewards within 3 months they will expired. They have incompetent Employees or this is a Crooked Co. I don't know which. But I will not shop at O'Reilly Auto Parts store again.

Original review: March 23, 2017

Bought torque converter from O'reilly's in Azle Texas, went bad less than year. Got another under warranty, went bad less than a year later. It damaged the stator shaft on my transmission. Now entire transmission torn down and needs cleaned and new stator shaft. Asked O'Reilly's to provide new stator shaft, new gaskets and seals because their part damaged my car but they refused. Said it was only one year warranty on the original torque converter so they are not liable.

The box my torque converter came in says Power Torque. Power Torque's website says they have a 3-year warranty. Scott ** at O'Reilly's says Pro King makes the torque converters for Power Torque. Sounds like a way to get out of standing behind your product to me. From what I understand Power Torque is owned by O'Reilly's. I am not asking for monetary payment, just the products to repair my car. They have a rebuild kit they could provide to me. I will not buy another thing from O'Reilly's Automotive.

Original review: March 21, 2017

Unsatisfactory. My husband and I went to the store to purchase a few items. We waited in line for about 20 minutes and was not attended by any employee which there was an employee working on something other than his customers. I heard someone call him Mario. I don't appreciate the wait when there are staff not attending the customers. We did not make the purchase.

Original review: March 14, 2017

Went into local O'Reilly's in need of ceramic brakes for my car just to find out they are $56 for the front no rear available. Was stuck with getting the generic metallic ones for $46 front and $46 rear. Just out of curiosity, I went on Amazon and they had my brakes AC Delco ceramic for $26. Never again will I use an auto parts store to get what I need. Shoot it's worth the wait for shipping if I can get something better with a name brand at a better price. Thinking of returning these back and just going with Amazon.

Original review: March 9, 2017

So since I do not like going to the Howell store due to the employees looking at you like you're stealing something, I went to the Brighton store and bought a mini circuit for my truck. Well turns out it was the wrong size, reluctantly I went to the Howell store to return it. Now understand this is a $7.00 item, and I had my receipt and paid cash. The girl at the desk wanted my full name, my full address, and my phone #. "Really" I said!! She said, "Yes, it's company policy." What a joke. For 7 bucks? I will NEVER go into another O'Reilly.

Original review: March 2, 2017

Purchased a new motor from O'Reilly Seymour Indiana and the first one was a bad motor $3500.00 later. Was giving a runaround and said they would order a new one. Been almost a week and still hasn't came in. Now why would the first one that was bad only take 2 days and the replacement one still isn't here after a week. Everyone is giving us the runaround. I'm without a car after a month and I've had to pay for a rental car out of pocket and that's not cheap. The right thing to do is at least try to compensate me something toward my rental car. They have already been paid do they could care less. This has been the worst customer service I've ever seen!!! Never will I use them again after this!!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2017

Whenever I walk into O'Reilly Auto Parts I always get the feeling like the people working there think I'm a shoplifter. I don't mind people coming up and asking if I need help, but I don't always get the feeling like they're asking for that reason. My other gripe with O'Reilly is that everything is way overpriced. I have noticed this to be true even with cheap Chinese knock-offs they sell. This sounds crazy, but I think I would rather buy my auto parts from Amazon because I can look at the product for a longer amount of time and then buy a better product for less money!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2017

Went into our local O'Reilly's and found what I needed. While waiting in line there were 3 other employees standing around talking not very quietly. One was the manager with 2 male employees laughing. When I heard her say, "I can't wait to get rid of the ** lazy ass that work here," I sent an email to corp. They said someone would get back to me. In a return email NEVER HAPPENED. So I go in again to tell the one guy who always got my stuff right what I heard and to let him know to watch his back. Well guess what, she fired him. I will never shop at O'Reilly's again.

O'Reilly Auto Parts Company Information

www.oreillyauto.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use