National Tire & Battery (NTB)
National Tire & Battery (NTB)
1.30/5
Based on 39 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

National Tire & Battery

Last updated: May 16, 2018

561 National Tire & Battery (NTB) Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 16, 2018

I went to NTB for cylinder misfires and me having faith in them to get the job done right they let me down because after taking my car there twice here it is again that I’m still having a misfire. The misfires now are 1&3 before it was 5&7. This will be the third time for the same issues. You tell me if this is good business or not?

Original review: May 3, 2018

I took my van to NTB in Union City GA. to see what was causing the brake light to come on. I specifically told them my concern was the brake light. They told me they would inspect the brake system and tell me what it was. Later in the morning they came back and said I needed over $1500.00 of work done on the front brake system to fix the brake light issue. They said I needed new brake drums, calibers, brake pads, system flush... Because the brake light was coming on before I went to them, I had replaced my front pads myself a few months before and didn't see any problems with the brake assemblies when I checked them myself. I reluctantly agreed to NTB agreement and signed to begin work.

When they finished all the work they told me to pay. I did and left the office. I crank the truck and the light came on in the parking lot. I called complaining and they said they could not get the light to go off and I should call Ford. I told them they charged me and the issue was still there and I wanted it fixed. They took it back in the next day and said they would replaced the master cylinder. But, the light was still coming on afterwards and they said they was not going to do anything else.

I called NTB Customer service and was assigned Mrs. ** and was told to take the truck to Ford, have it inspected to verify the brake light cause and the issue would be settled. I took it to Ford and they said it was a electrical issue and fixed it for $198.00. Ford also said the front wheel bearings were damaged and needed replacement. Another cost of around $400.00. After sending Ford's information over to Mrs. ** at NTB customer service, she began to dispute Ford's finding, criticizing the written estimate and saying NTB did nothing wrong. NTB failed to identify the real cause of the brake light issue, repaired and replaced the wrong components and is not taking responsibility. NTB customer service has failed to solve my problem and is not taking responsibility. I want my money back please!

Get expert buying tips about Auto Service and Repair delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 20, 2018

I decided to take my truck in to get two new tires, also my air conditioner was not working. So I asked them to take a look at it. I had parts in hand. They charged me for putting on the parts no problem with that. But then your manager Cliff came back to me and said it would cost $1200 dollars to get the unit working. Well, guess what? I took it somewhere else and paid 300.00 and it's working. This is why ladies don't feel safe or want to bring their vehicle to shops because it's like some shops say "It's a women. Let's rake her over the coals". I WILL NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH YOU AGAIN. Oh and I'm telling 5 of my friends. Thank you.

Original review: April 17, 2018

If I could give this a negative rating, I would. I took my car to NTB on Chalmers Rd in Greenville in May, 2017. I was buying 4 new tires. When they were done, I checked, and my custom wheels were badly scratched. All 4 of them. Frank, the manager tried to dismiss it as "not too bad". We finally agreed he would pay to have the wheels repaired, and for a rental car for me while the repairs were done. Actually, he agreed to that after I got my husband involved. When it was just me, Frank figured he could bully me into backing down.

So after a lot of wrangling, my wheels were repaired. If you've ever rented a car that someone else is paying for, you know that you still have to present a credit card. Which is why, nearly a year later, I discovered that NTB had not paid for the rental car, when the charges for the rental showed up on my credit card. I have to pay the charges. Frank has "no recollection" of agreeing to pay for the rental. In my opinion, he is untrustworthy, and no one should trust their car to him. Especially not women.

Original review: April 15, 2018

NTB are liars and thieves - I bought a new set of tires at NTB in Kemah, TX April 8. They told me my brake pads were about worn out. I didn't look at them, just told them I would fix it myself. This morning I got new pads and proceeded to install them myself. The old pads had probably 10% wear on them. Scam artists probably wouldn't have done anything, even if they had, it would have been unnecessary work. I will never do business with them again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about NTB Tires?

Original review: April 10, 2018

We went to NTB to investigate a sound coming from our wheels, after paying a substantial amount to have the pads and the disk replaced we noticed none of the electrical components in the car was working anymore. They pleaded ignorance when we brought this to their attention so we took the car to the VW dealership to have it repaired. The service manager immediately told out that the car has been given an improper jump. When we closely examined the NTB receipt we noticed there was a charge for an alternator fuse.

VW tech contacted NTB and they confirmed the improper jump. This means not only they damaged our car they also tried to charge us for the fuse they burned out. As a result we had to spend almost 2500 to have the electrical components replaced in all the doors. I contacted the NTB headquarters who promptly handed the case to another company called Sedgwick who then stopped responding to our calls and emails. When I called NTB headquarters back they told us it is now the hands of Sedgwick and they no longer hold any responsibility or liability. They got quite a scam going. Next stop is civil court.

Original review: March 29, 2018

We bought new tires from NTB in Crestwood, IL on 2-19-18. The car was driving really good until I got on the expressway and hit 55 MPH. That's when the car started shaking in the front. I called NTB on West Joliet Road and explained that we had just purchased tires from the store in Crestwood, IL and that the front end was shaking. They told me I could bring the car in the next day and they would check it out for me. I brought the car in and I explained to the service guy what was going on and he told me that while they could look at it for me, if anything was wrong with the installation I would have to take it back to where the tires were purchased. I asked him why and they said each store is run independently. I decided not to have them look at it and called the Crestwood, IL store the following day to make an appointment. They did tell me that the one tire was not balanced and had corrected the problem.

I was on vacation and wasn't driving on the expressway right away. Once I went back to work and started driving 55MPH again, the problem was still there. The Crestwood, IL store is not near my home or workplace so I have to leave work early to take the car in. I called a couple times to see if they could take me in but each time I called they told me they were booked. I finally got an appointment for 5:00 today. I talked to Sebastian and he said I could drop the car and come back at 6:30. He called me about 6:15 and left a message saying the car was fixed now and it was probably because I was hitting potholes which caused the front end to be out of balance. I explained to him that I'm not hitting potholes but he kept on insisting I was. Anyway, I started driving home taking the highway and sure enough, the car started shaking once I hit 55MPH. We called NTB right away but Sebastian was already gone for the day.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I had schedule to have tire put on the rims and Balance are four tires. The appointment was for 11:30am on March 26, 2018. I already had the tires. I arrived at 11:20 am and checked in. I was met with a friendly hello and smile. I was given a quote for the work and stated I would pay after the work was completed. Aaron stated that he would get right on it. The truck was placed in a bay. I decided to go next door to get a bite to eat at 11:50 am. I returned to the waiting room at 12:25 pm. My truck was had yet to be touched by any of the service techs.

Another hour passed and still my truck was not completed. It is now 1:30 pm and the tire have been moved to the changing station. They were moved there some 25 minutes earlier. I asked Aaron what was the problem. His answer was they were busy and the tires and rims were oversized and it too long to change and balance. I asked why the tires had been moved but nothing done. He didn't have any answer for me. After that Aaron went to the back and rounded up his guys and got them working on my tires. At 1:55 pm my tires were mounted and balanced and I was on my way. Aaron stated that he was going to cut the balance charge since I had to wait so long. I accepted.

My issue with this whole experience that it took 2 hours and 25 minutes to put 4 tires and balance them. This is for anyone unacceptable. I had a Scheduled Appointment. I didn't just drop by without notice. I will not be back to NTB Lake Wyle SC anytime soon. NTB what do you think of this? Will You reply? Will you address and fix this kind of issues? We will see!

Original review: March 13, 2018

Alternator went out when I was out of town, NTB was the closest place to tow that was open on the weekend. Less than a year and two batteries later (their workmanship shorted out the battery connections), the alternator is out again. We had to pay someone to put in new battery connections due to their workmanship. The mechanic (from a reputable company) said the rebuilt alternator that NTB installed in the car was junk and looked like rust had been painted over on the alternator. When we contacted them they stated they would replace the alternator since it was still under the one year warranty but would charge labor. Previously my daughter had NTB (another location) install an alternator in another vehicle and it ended up costing her in repairs after the install and also had to have the alternator replaced before the year was out.

Resolution response: April 4, 2018

After having to spend more money to get the tire repaired correctly at Firestone. I contacted NTB corporate office about my experience, they responded quickly and they agreed to reimburse the money spent at NTB

on the tire repair.

Original review: March 11, 2018

Went to NTB in January to get a slow leak on my Jeep repaired, left with the understanding that it had repaired. Next day tire pressure indicator came by on and you could visually see the tire was low. Rode around thinking maybe the indicator would go off, it never did. Went to another NTB location in hoping to get resolution, they informed me they would not repair the tire because it had been improperly patched and advised me to go back to the location I paid for the repair.

Went back to the original location and after sitting there for over 2 hours they said they didn't see anything wrong and the next day the tire pressure indicator came back on and more air needed to be added. Went back again the following weekend to see the salesperson who originally handled my ticket and checked me out. I was told he would be in at 10:00. Waited till 11:30 and he never showed up. So disappointed in runaround I haven't gotten just trying to get the tire repaired properly. I have lost trust and confidence in the NTB name and service.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

Has a slow leak in a tire and so used fix-a-flat to repair it. Went to NTB to have it repaired properly and they told me that they would not repair a tire that has had fix-a-flat liquid in it because the tire is "compromised". Got the manager to confirm, this is really the policy of NTB! NTB justification for this is that fix-a-flat liquid "damages" the rubber inside the tire. This is absolutely false and just about any other tire repair place will tell you it's false. NTB is trying to force people to replace perfectly good tires that happened to get a leak in them. Absolutely a RIPOFF. Be careful, because NTB won't tell you that they refuse to repair the tire, until you get to the store and they have your car up on the rack already! DO NOT GIVE NTB ANY BUSINESS AT ALL.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

NTB in Manassas on Sudley Road messed up my 2012 Pathfinder rear lower control arm, they broke a bolt doing the front end alignment, then messed up the lower control arm trying to get the bolt out. I have missed two days work. NTB wants me to pay for parts they Screwed up. I called their corporate headquarters and filed a complaint about this service, the worst I can imagine.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I purchased four tires less than two months ago. I purchased the road hazard warranty and for the second time I was told that I didn't have the warranty. I will never purchase anything from them again.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

Worst experience I have ever spent in one place. Spent 6 hours to get 4 tires changed and one battery change. They will not meet price. They will not do as they say they will do. I will not recommend NTB. They will put on tires that you don't even ask for and when you ask to have them change they want extra money. I will not recommend this place for anybody because you'll get ripped off.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

I took my car on 12/31/2017 to the Springfield OH location for a no heat issue at idle. The diagnostic was a clogged radiator and a Thermostat. I was told I needed to replace both of them at a $600+ cost... I refused the service and took the car back. The car needed simply a heater core backflush.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

In taking my car to NTB in Matthews, NC I already completed my research on the cost of an oil change. My car take 6 Quarts of oil so knowing it would be an extra $4 I asked the uneducated service guy if it was only $4 more per quarter. His answer was, "Something like that". LOL, the idiot doesn't even know his own prices. Anyways, as they pull my car into the service garage I start to read online reviews about NTB and to my surprise (at that moment) they have terrible reviews.

So I moved and sat at a table where I could see my car. The whole time watching the so-called mechanic change my oil. He kept looking at me like he was up to something. After adding fresh oil to my car he had another mechanic verify the dipstick for oil level. WTH? He doesn't know how to read a dipstick? Anyways, they were suppose to check all my other fluids and complete a tire rotation for free but after reading the reviews I don't want them to touch anything else on my car. For a $33 oil change I will go back but for nothing else.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

Went there to buy 4 tires, was never asked about additional services. I told them I wanted my old tires back, the assumption on my part was a balance, they sold me road hazard and an alignment without asking. The service manager Eion tried to tell me that the front camber in my car is out of spec and not adjustable. I told him it was and how to do it, (I looked it up and I'm a FORMER A.S.E. certified Mechanic with 25 years exp) it didn't get done although I paid full price. When I got home with my old tires I noticed I was charged $12.00 disposal fee, for what? When I removed the 2 tires from my trunk I noticed that I NOW have a $250.00 BENT amateur Radio Antenna. I'm NOT the poster boy for happy at all, AND this pleasure only cost me $600.12.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I have been to NTB originally to have my brakes, rotors and new tires. Within one year they told me I need brake pads and new rotors. They told me it was because a brake caliper was stuck on and I was using my brakes all the time while driving. So I had both replaced again. First time I had them done cost me over 900$ dollars. The second time I supposedly got free brake pads and they had my car for two hours. I was also charged 110$ per hour labor and I was charged two hundred and 220! for one job and there was a second person that worked on the calipers so I was charged labor for him so this job also cost me over 900$ despite free brake pads.

It is less than a year and I’m bringing my car to the dealership because I think there is something wrong with my brakes again. I also bought all season tires from them and the tread was worn and needed to be replaced after just over 10,000 miles and they are supposed to be warrantied for 50,000 miles. I was told I would get a partial credit for the tires to be replaced and I would still be charged 110$ per hour for labor. And of course I watched them work on my car and they took their sweet ** time on my car and moved like slugs because they get paid for hourly on each job. Must have made some nice money on my job taking 2 hours to do this work which I have seen it done in way less time as this. And to top it off when I called and spoke with a customer person to complain I said they were ripping me off and just hung up on me. THEY ARE DISHONEST AND THIEVES, if I could give them negative stars I would and I every person not to go there!!!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

Had lug nuts that were locked. He stripped the lug tool. Had to go buy lug nuts and now have no lug nuts that are locked, which that cost me $35.00 to replace. Even where I bought them said he did not have it placed right or he would not have stripped the lock.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

Back in May 2017 I had 2 new tires installed on the rear of my 2005 Chevrolet Cavalier at the location in Porter, TX. I did not notice what they had done till that night when I looked at passenger side of my car and saw that my plastic wheel cover was cracked & broken. I know what they did was use the air wrench on those plastic lug nuts that hold it on. Then in August I stopped at location in North Houston at FM1960 and asked for an oil change. The manager actually refused to change my oil. His excuse was there was a small amount of oil stain on the oil pan. After these 2 incidents, I will not use NTB for anything in the future.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

Had a bad tire and tried to buy 4 new (Cooper Tires) but they did not have them in stock so I got 1. A few months later I got 2 more and front end alignment. Then a brake job a couple of months later. I still only had 50,000 on my car when the tread on all 3 tires I got from NTB separated. Awkward. Screaming mfg defect and very dangerous. The 3 tires were less than a yr and still in warranty. I was told I needed struts on rear where one original tire and one NTB tire were. I had to buy 4 new tires plus more warranty thing. They only gave 1/2 credit on the 3 tires then the audacity to charge fees for balancing and mounting plus lifetime mounting in the replacement tires. Over $1200 to get my car back!

They should have replaced at least 2 tires free with free mount and balancing, half off one tire with free mount and balancing under the warranty. Given me my military discount on the 4th tire charged to mount and balance it. Military discount on the struts and I would gladly pay to warranty the 4 new tires. But what is the point of paying extra for warranty when they don't replace tires with obvious manufacture defects that could cost me my life.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

I purchased a set of tires from NTB two years ago and bought the warranty on the tire. The tires were two years old and had 15 thousand miles on them. The warranty was still good as it was for the life of the tire. When I called about getting the tire replaced with the warranty I was told the price was $207.00 for a tire that only cost $66 a piece when I bought them. The only thing I added to this was a tire pressure monitoring system for $65.00. They told me that this price was before deductions but couldn't or wouldn't tell me how much was being deducted. I am not the smartest person around but even I know that $207.00 for a tire that cost $66.00 was ridiculous. I went to Wal-Mart and bought a tire for about 110.00 with a new tire pressure monitoring system stem and I got all the same warranty on the tires. I will never shop at NTB again.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

In September, 2017 I took my car to NTB in Decatur, GA for my maintenance tire rotation for tires purchased through this company. I was assured by the store clerk they had “the best man” at this location for the service (although this statement was not prompted by me). On October 16, 2017 I took my car to my private mechanic for a metal scraping sound I had heard for two days. My mechanic took off the tires and called me immediately to the service area as the mechanics looked on to show me that my TIRES HAD BEEN ROTATED INCORRECTLY!!! The mechanic at the NTB Decatur location placed the tires side to side instead of front to back. My mechanic educated me on which way the wheels’ arrows should point on the tires when rotated CORRECTLY!!!

I immediately called the Decatur, GA location and spoke to a customer service rep who stated he would alert the manager who would definitely return my call. Ha!! I haven’t heard from anyone. Meanwhile, I called the corporate number and spoke to a customer care specialist, Je **, who stated that NTB wants to take care of their customers and listened to my complaint and would await my info about possible damage to my car after my mechanic briefed me. I told her I would call back. She sounded concerned and willing to take care of the situation.

Fast forward to today, Oct.17,2017... The customer care specialist called back today from the corporate office. I’m thinking good sign. I returned her call and stated that my personal mechanic rotated the tires correctly and did not charge me for that part of the service as he “was glad that no damage happened and prides himself on taking care of his customers.” She listened with her “reflective listening skills” to assure me she was listening. She offered NTB’s affirmation that it wants to take care of their customers. She offered a free oil change coupon. I declined with the understanding that if they can’t put tires on correctly I wouldn’t trust an oil change. She then offered that when I take my car back for the 5,000 mile rotation she could call the location of my choice to take “good care” of me as a valued customer. I queried that isn’t this something they should do??

She asked what she could do. I stated $20 for the inconvenience. She stated that she didn’t think she could do that. She then asked if she could help with anything else. I assured her she didn’t help and my reviews through this site, various customer information sites, and letters will reflect my experience with NTB. Buyer beware!!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

Came by the new NTB shop at the Cockrell Hill location, because I could smell antifreeze coming from my truck. Mr. ** was very courteous and assisted me with professionalism, he was very straightforward and informative about my vehicle issue. Parts had be ordered from the dealership, and Mr. **, the Manager, personally went to pick up the parts. Although I had to pay more than I expected, I was given a great deal. It would have even been a greater deal if the company participated with Triple AAA. Thank you all for assisting me! Awesome service!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

I'm not one to complain, normally. But I just can't let this go... I don't believe NTB trains their technicians properly. In my past three experiences: First, I was polite, calm, and professional up until my most recent communication with them. Honestly, I was pretty hot at this point. 1. Bought four tires at a Plano, TX location. Left my truck there for 6 hours. Picked it up, jumped on the highway and not one single wheel had been balanced. Had to go back in the following day. When I went in the service guy was rude and acted like I was crazy. He later admitted he did not know what happened with my truck and that every wheel was in fact, out of balance. 2. OK- my thought, all are entitled to an off day now and then. Needed tires and went back to a different NTB in Lewisville, TX because I really like this particular set of Cooper tires that they carry exclusively. Bought 2 back tires.

Serviceman offered an alignment for $89. I thought, sure, it's not out of alignment but it had been two years so I'll get it checked. How long will it take? Answer - 45 minutes additional time. So, they quoted me a time of 1:45 minutes to change two tires and do an alignment. 4 hours later, my truck is finally done. Serviceman says the toe was way out on the right side. Mind you, I had perfectly even tread wear at the time. Steering was great and had no issues. They made a huge adjustment in the toe and suggested that I had done some front end work recently. No I had not had any work done and I keep my vehicles in good mechanical condition. On to the work -They pulled my truck right in and went to work. The technician was slow, uninterested, and seemed in over his head for this task as I'm watching off and on between phone calls. After being there 4 hours, I had appointments to get to and places to be.

I was preparing to take this vehicle on a trip on Monday hence the need for tires. Immediately upon leaving the store, the steering wheel is way off of center. I wanted to go right back in, but I has already wasted half a day and they had other vehicles coming in. I pulled into the parking lot for my meeting and the steering wheel rolled over too easy to the left. (I would later figure out it was doing this because it was so out of toe). In fact, it was so out of toe, you could see it without even needing to put it on a machine. Adding to the frustration, there is a dent in my truck bed above the wheel well of one of the tires they replaced. I called the shop that afternoon, no answer. I called NTB customer service, no answer. It was around 5 pm. I logged a message online for "contact us" saying I had some issues to discuss. I wanted to document my concerns before the weekend. No response the next Monday.

I leave for my trip and check my front tires part of the way. The wear is awful on the outside of both front tires 3 days after the alignment. I call NTB customer service and they recommend I take it back to NTB. The problem is, I'm out of town in a remote area with no Tire Kingdom facility anywhere near. Front two tires are already ruined 500 miles after the alignment. I take pictures of the tire wear, steering wheel, and dent and email them to the customer service folks to document the problem. I reach my destination and park the vehicle for 5 days to not cause any more wear. NTB suggest I take the vehicle to Big O tires when I reach the closest city that has one (An NTB/Tire Kingdom company). One problem, I'm returning on a Sunday. Nothing open. 200 miles back into my trip home, I'm having to change to a spare because the metal cords are showing on the outside of the tire.

Then, an new gift appears - TPMS sensor goes off telling me to service my tire pressure monitoring system. The one not reading - one of the new tires. Driver's side wear is worse than passenger side and this is the side they made this huge adjustment on. I make it home stressed that I'm going to have a blowout on either front tire. Three tires ruined - Both front tires and the spare. I'm fuming over the botched job and level of incompetence. I calm down, remain polite and contact NTB again and inform them that I'm back and can take it to get it looked at but would prefer another store because I'm upset with the folks at the other store and would like to start new. I don't trust the operators or the equipment/readings of the alignment machine in the Lewisville location. So, I head to a different store.

3. Grapevine, TX store - take the vehicle in and they are immediately skeptical. The store manager comes out and talks to the service guy at the front. Does not look at me, speak to me or say a word to me. They take my truck back to "shake it down". They are not giving me any answers but they are working on it and it is obvious it is messed up. I gave them the original alignment paperwork and point out the huge adjustment that was made. Roughly 45 minutes later, the manager goes out to the truck, grabs the paperwork, goes to his office and jumps on the phone. I'm in earshot of his office door. I can see him on the phone flipping through the paperwork from my truck. He knows I can hear his conversation, so he closes the door. I speak to the serviceman up front. He was plenty nice but not offering any information.

I said to him, so, "clearly, I'm not a moron, something is way off right?" He nervously says yes and says they are still checking it out. Once again, I've got to be somewhere, so my wife picks me up and I leave. I call NTB customer service. They have to call me back. They speak to the store and what do you know... It was way out of toe. The adjustment the Grapevine store needs to make is back to within 6 one-hundredths of where it was originally. The customer service lady tells me that it was in alignment when I left the Lewisville store because the paperwork said so. This has all taken place in less than two weeks. The store manager who never talked to me, never listened to my concerns, would not even look at me told the customer service lady that I did something to knock it out of alignment. Meanwhile, there are multiple forms of communication and documentation (phone calls, emails, online forms) of the problems from day one.

You are really going to try to tell me that I hit something and it was out almost the exact same amount of the adjustment that they made when I had no previous problems. NTB's solution - 25% off of a new set of tires. Why should I pay for their clear mistake? Does common sense not apply anymore? Aren't the odds greater that they screwed it up given the facts vs me hitting something and knocking out of alignment almost exactly to the faulty adjustment the Lewisville store made? (Which, I hit nothing, by the way). You put me and my family at risk with a botched job and unqualified technicians or faulty equipment. I don't accept it. They were going to have a supervisor call me ASAP. One day later, I'm still waiting for that call and my truck sits at NTB Grapevine. They won't acknowledge the mistake and still insist I caused the problem. We have not even addressed the TPMS fault, the dent, or the off-center steering wheel.

Good Grief this company is MESSED up. I don't suggest that anyone do business with this company. Everyone has bad days, but this is three different locations. There is something really wrong in the processes or culture of this organization. They are going to get somebody seriously hurt. It's not worth the risk or the time involved to do business with NTB/Tire Kingdom. I will add receipts to this report when I get my truck back. Unfortunately, I left them with store. I wanted them to see the original big adjustment made. I don't know where to take this from here, but I'm prepared to spend as much time as necessary purely on principle and to try to make sure other consumers are not affected in the same way.

I'm sure this happens frequently to folks who may not know much about cars. It's dishonesty, at this point and I don't understand what the motivation is to rectify this ASAP other than them being concerned about admitting fault and fixing the alignment, replace the tires, straighten the steering wheel, and a discussion about how to handle that mystery dent.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

Went to NTB for an alignment. Waited 2 1/2 hrs for it and when I finally left. The alignment was not right. Went back because they have a 6 month warranty. They said that they were too busy to help me that I will have to make an appointment. Finally made an appointment but they made me wait 3hrs and they still didn't get it right. The car was better aligned before I took it there. My, seems to me that the mechanics that they have don't know what they are doing and they don't have enough experience. I quit going there. I started buying my own tires online. You get the same or better deal and there is no added fee and hidden charges and I take it to a regular mechanic that does a better job and gives me 6 months warranty too.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

I don't think these people at NTB near the Mall in Orland Park, Illinois know about how to disclose all the information that customers asks. They are very sneaky and will cost you a lot if you don't do your research when you go there. If you ask for a tire change around 100 bucks a tire, they will sneak in every possible thing that you can imagine in your bill plus their shop fee. WHAT THE HELL IS SHOP FEE? Why are we paying for their shop utility. I thought I did a good research and know what tires I was gonna buy. It was Cooper GLS touring for 106 bucks a tire with 50 dollar mail in rebate. I was like "Wow ok. It has 50 bucks mail in rebate which will lower my tire price to 95 bucks."

So I went there and first asked for any promotion going. The guy just clicked his dumbass 70s screen and popped out a 900 bucks out of door number. I just laughed and corrected all his extras. Then I asked from Cooper GLS touring tire and specifically asked if it comes with 50 dollar rebate. He said it does and all. There you go - I was like "Yes I got this guy." So, I changed the tires and my bill was around 600 bucks because I did not put in any of insurance or free tire balancing or crap like that. The rule of thumb is if you haven't had any breakdown on tires for at least 3 years then chances are you will not have anytime soon and taking these insurance is just money down the drain.

Anyways long story short, I got my tires replaced and at the time of payment, I asked what to do for 50 dollar rebate. Oh the guy smiled and said "You should use your Cooper credit card to get that 50 bucks rebate." I was like "You **, why didn't you tell me earlier. Now I have to run my credit score to open a freaking Cooper credit card which I will not use for another tire change after 5 years."

I was thinking on my way back after leaving NTB that even though you think you are going to outsmart the guy behind counter, he is always a step ahead of you. First of all, he did not say that I had to apply for a credit card in order to get that 50 bucks rebate. He just said "oh ya there is a rebate". Either he didn't know or did not want to tell me. This issue is not about 50 bucks but the guilt of getting cheated is what frustrated me to write this complaint.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

Tire tread peeled off on a Friday evening. Pulled into NTB in NW Austin at 8:15. Closing time was 8. But garage door was open. Went in and spoke to service manager - Johnny. He and another choose to stay late on a Friday to help me. They put on a new set of tires. This meant a lot to me as I make my living as an Uber driver. Without their help I would have been stuck and out of business for the night. I'm 63 and know from experience service like this is rare and exceptional.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

Been going to NTB for oil changes. Upon changing my oil employee informed me of bad brakes in rear. He said both need new Rotors shoes. Because the rotors had big scratches. From no pads left on brakes. He quoted me $487 dollars for rear brakes. I am on a fixed income and it really upset me. My brakes had NOT been making any noises or causing problems. I got my oil change and left very upset... I took my car to a local mechanic and said NOTHING... he inspected my brakes and guess what? Rotors are fine. Pads were fine. Although he said don't wait too long because the pads are getting skinny... So I told him to put new pads on since I was there already. And his cost was $90? If I had needed all that NTB said I did. His price was $190... RIPOFF!!! I have both receipts.

Original review: July 22, 2017

My tire was flat which is not uncommon. I don't drive the car much and it has been very hot. The low pressure came on yesterday after sitting for a few days. I thought I had enough time to wait until Saturday. When I went to get in the car, the rear right was flat. I call my roadside assistance company. Once the guy took the tire off. We both inspected the tire for possible nails or other debris. We painstakingly went over each side of the tire. We both ran I hands across each portion, inside and out. There was nothing sticking out of the tire on either side. This occurred on Saturday, July 22nd at approximately 3:00 pm at Store address 8435 Davis Lake Parkway, Charlotte, NC 28269 Ph 704.509.9107. The service tech said he could not find anything and suggested that I have it inspected as there was no foreseeable reason that the tire was flat. I explained to him that I don't drive it much. He indicated that it may be because of the heat.

I take it to NTB and asked if they would inspect the tire. I did not tell the representative that the tire had been thoroughly inspected. About 10 minutes of having my car in the bay, he comes to get me and tells me that he found a metal object just sitting there plain as day. I looked at him and said that is impossible. I asked him how it got there and he said it was in plain view. He saw it immediately and said that it could not be fixed because it was on the inside and I would have to buy a brand new tire. I stopped short of calling him a bold face liar because he had no idea that 2 sets of eyes had just gone over this tire inside and out before bringing it to him, but I did tell him I was very skeptical because I and the service technician that took the tire off went over every inch and could not find anything, certainly not anything sticking up as far as that piece of metal was sticking up.

You would have had to be blind and had no feelings in your hands to have missed that. I rubbed every inch of that filthy tire with my bare hands (the tech had on gloves) all the way around inside and out. I asked the NTB rep if he could explain to me how it got there, he said, he didn't know. I told him that piece of metal was not in my tire when I pulled up and gave him my key. I had seen something like this on TV years ago, but never thought I would become a victim of it. I told him to put my doughnut back on because I did not believe him and that I may have to buy a new tire because of this, but NTB would not profit from it.

I found a Discount Tire approximately 6 miles away and took it to them. While there, I begin reading the reviews for this company and it seems that they run scams on the customers frequently. I will never use NTB again. That guy thought I was just a stupid female and he could pull anything over on me and I would believe it. The reason I had the service Tech from USAA go over the tire with me was to find a nail. There is no way both of us missed a piece of metal sticking up approximately one inch from the tire.

I do not have an order number as inspecting the tire is free and I refused to buy a tire and was not offered any paperwork and Discount Tire now has the old tire. When Discount Tire tested the tire, the only slash made was by the piece of metal that NTB planted in my tire. I want NTB to pay me for having to replace a tire that just lost pressure and was perfectly fine until their representative decided to poke a hole in my tire that was not there.

National Tire & Battery (NTB) Company Information