National Tire & Battery (NTB)
National Tire & Battery (NTB)
1.21/5
Based on 38 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

National Tire & Battery

569 National Tire & Battery (NTB) Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 21, 2018

So my mom and I went to NTB to get my tires replaced with new ones and my dad set an appointment online and asked if they had a lifetime warranty for the tires and they said it would be given with the tires installation for no charge so my mom signed the paper thinking it would be given to us with the tire installation. So after we waited two hours (including another 45 extra minutes just waiting for our name to be called to pay) we asked to make sure that the lifetime warranty came with the tires and they said "no you didn't put that in your online reservation saying you wanted a lifetime warranty and each tire would cost another $14 for lifetime warranty" and so my mom called my dad asking to speak with the person we were talking to now and immediately he called out his rude manager to talk to my dad.

My dad accused him of lying because when he called them and asked if the tire installation came with a lifetime warranty, they said yes with no cost. And now the manager got mad and didn't let my dad finish what he had to say by saying "Sir, sir, sir we aren't liars, everything here is automatically priced sir. I don't know what you're complaining about" and he just hung up on my dad and since we had to pay extra for the lifetime warranty we just decided to pay for the tire installation since my dad already bought the tires online.

WHILE WE WERE STILL THERE PAYING the manager grabs the worker who stood in front of us and yelled "next time CIRCLE the PRICE so that people don't accuse us of lying because I don't even know what he was complaining about" and since my mom and I are Korean I guess they assumed we didn't understand English because the manager just started talking ** about us in front of us saying "Look I don't even know why they're complaint because SHE already signed the paper and it has the PRICE on THERE". I was just thinking we were genuinely confused so we asked why it didn't come with lifetime warranty since a worker here at NTB said that it came with the tire installation for no cost and now they were saying it cost extra so there was no need for rude attitude.

They could've handled it better by saying "oh I'm so sorry sir but I guess our worker was misinformed because the lifetime warranty costs extra" and maybe they should actually listen to their customer before cutting them off and maybe they'll understand what we're complaining about. I honestly wanted to say something back to the manager but talking back to someone who is as stupid as he is would be like talking to a brick wall. They have rude service, the wait time is overly long, they price you for anything and if you're not a certain race they'll most likely take you for granted.

Original review: July 7, 2018

Just a heads up if you ever need service from NTB on Oxmoor Road in Homewood Al. Don't use them. I left King of Prussia Pennsylvania at 4 AM this morning. Driving home, I dropped 2 associates off at our office in Birmingham and as I was driving home I had a flat off Oxmoor. I drove to NTB and arrived at 7:48 PM, they close at 8PM. There was 2 people on duty and the manager or lead person on duty refused to give me service, he said he had no one to replace the tire.

His help was standing next to his truck 75 feet from me smoking and neither would help. I know they closed in 12 minutes but to refuse service is not very fair. I then ask if I could borrow a jack and tire tool to get the tire off where I could take it somewhere else and was told no. They waited until 8 PM and walked right by me and said nothing. Newer cars do not have tire tools or spares so I am now stuck here until tomorrow until I can get the tire repaired, I can assure you they will never get any of my business again! PERIOD.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: June 18, 2018

I feel like NTB took advantage of me. I went to get new tires, they were having a sale at buy 3 get 1 free, which cost me about $800. After driving it for a while, a friend got in my car and told me that my tires were loud. I took it to the dealership to have the oil changed and at first they said that my tires were okay. When I went back a couple of months later and inquired about the tires again they told me that I needed new tires. I went back to NTB and they told me that I needed 4 new struts that would cost me between $1,100 and $1,600. I had 3 other mechanics look at my car and they all said the same thing, that there was nothing wrong with my struts. One mechanic told me that the tires that were sold to me were snow tires. I ended up having to buy 4 new tires from a mechanic that I trust. I would never recommend NTB to anyone!!

Original review: June 15, 2018

On 5/25/18 I took my Ford F-150 to get the oil changed and tires rotated. I had a vibration when I would stop every now and then not always. NTB in Cedar Hill told me I needed new Struts. Mine were bad and leaking. To replace them it would be roughly $900. Needless to say I couldn't afford it at that time. My AC went out in my truck. It was still in warranty. I took it to the dealership and had them check the vibration. They told me I needed new brake pads and possibly turn my rotors. This would be less than $200, NTB made it sound like my truck was not road worthy because of the "Broken" strut. The dealership shook their heads and laughed. I will never take my truck even for an oil change to NTB again especially after reading the reviews.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I took my Ford Mustang to get all new brakes in February 2018 to the NTB in Hutto Tx, I will never ever go there again!! They told me I neeed to change my rotors so I got all new rotors also. It is now June and just two Sundays ago my front tire came off while I was driving my car. Thank God I was not going fast, and I was two miles from home. When we went to see what happened we found out the nut to my ball joint was never put back on. The joint was just bouncing up and down, barely hanging on. This caused major damage to the inside of my rim. Also we found out that they only changed the front brakes, when they were paid to change all four of them. So NTB Hutto took money for a job they did not complete.

I even got a credit card from them, which I will be canceling also. We also got a new battery but they said they could not change the terminals. Very unsatisfied with these so called professionals. So from now on I will be getting my tires, brakes, rotors elsewhere. I only put 1 star because I have to, these guys don't deserve that!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about NTB Tires?

Original review: June 7, 2018

Scheduled a rear tire replacement on my wife’s Mercedes Benz for 8:00 AM on 6/07/2018. Arrived at 0745 hrs and advised that work would take three hours. Went to breakfast while car was to be in the shop. Arrived back at 10:00 am to find car still in the lot. Technician advised that rear wheel hubs needed to be replaced. Told tech to replace them. Advised by service desk person that they would be ordered and installed along with new tires and alignment. Later told me that the new hubs were delivered.

Went to lunch at noon. Came back and observed car on lift with new tires mounted on rims and hubs disassembled. Further advised that tech was taking a “bathroom break”. At 3:30pm, tech advised that wrong hubs were delivered. Service desk person advised she was going to pick up her kids from school and would get hubs on the way. At 5:45pm, still no hubs, tech on site advised that he was sorry for the delay. This is ridiculous and extremely unprofessional and not to be tolerated anymore. Going to take it up with BBB of Maryland if not remedied soon.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I've used NTB for years because the prices and services seemed reasonable. My latest trip to replace a car battery changed that. My car is one of those that inexplicably have the battery under the front wheel. Battery replacement requires a car lift, wheel and fender-well cover removal, yada yada. I got charged the fee for the new battery, and the fee for old removal/new installation --- all well. Then, there was a sneak charge of $100.00 to test the charging system.

I think it's just sound mechanics to check the charging system in the event of battery failure. But, it's far more important for a business to charge only for things the customer wants done. If the shop wants to check that the alternator is charging, have at it and thanks. But don't charge me $100 for a "favor" I didn't ask for, authorize or even knew was being done. Checking that the system is charging only involves placing an ammeter in series with either battery terminal, which are already disconnected anyway since the battery is being replaced! Nope; don't think I'll ever be seen at NTB again.

Original review: May 26, 2018

Well today was my 3rd appointment and I have my 4th appointment in 1 week scheduled for tomorrow. They rotated my tires 1 week ago and now my car shakes and makes a horrible noise. I have been told by another company that they were rotated incorrectly!?! I tried calling the manager Drew but he refused to call me back and had Henry, his employee, call me back. They have agreed to put my tires back the way they were before they rotated but they wanted to charge me over 300.00 for replacement tires! I can’t believe this scam they are running. I really wish I would have read these reviews before going there. Please go elsewhere and don’t waste your money!!

Original review: May 16, 2018

I went to NTB for cylinder misfires and me having faith in them to get the job done right they let me down because after taking my car there twice here it is again that I’m still having a misfire. The misfires now are 1&3 before it was 5&7. This will be the third time for the same issues. You tell me if this is good business or not?

Original review: May 3, 2018

I took my van to NTB in Union City GA. to see what was causing the brake light to come on. I specifically told them my concern was the brake light. They told me they would inspect the brake system and tell me what it was. Later in the morning they came back and said I needed over $1500.00 of work done on the front brake system to fix the brake light issue. They said I needed new brake drums, calibers, brake pads, system flush... Because the brake light was coming on before I went to them, I had replaced my front pads myself a few months before and didn't see any problems with the brake assemblies when I checked them myself. I reluctantly agreed to NTB agreement and signed to begin work.

When they finished all the work they told me to pay. I did and left the office. I crank the truck and the light came on in the parking lot. I called complaining and they said they could not get the light to go off and I should call Ford. I told them they charged me and the issue was still there and I wanted it fixed. They took it back in the next day and said they would replaced the master cylinder. But, the light was still coming on afterwards and they said they was not going to do anything else.

I called NTB Customer service and was assigned Mrs. ** and was told to take the truck to Ford, have it inspected to verify the brake light cause and the issue would be settled. I took it to Ford and they said it was a electrical issue and fixed it for $198.00. Ford also said the front wheel bearings were damaged and needed replacement. Another cost of around $400.00. After sending Ford's information over to Mrs. ** at NTB customer service, she began to dispute Ford's finding, criticizing the written estimate and saying NTB did nothing wrong. NTB failed to identify the real cause of the brake light issue, repaired and replaced the wrong components and is not taking responsibility. NTB customer service has failed to solve my problem and is not taking responsibility. I want my money back please!

Original review: April 20, 2018

I decided to take my truck in to get two new tires, also my air conditioner was not working. So I asked them to take a look at it. I had parts in hand. They charged me for putting on the parts no problem with that. But then your manager Cliff came back to me and said it would cost $1200 dollars to get the unit working. Well, guess what? I took it somewhere else and paid 300.00 and it's working. This is why ladies don't feel safe or want to bring their vehicle to shops because it's like some shops say "It's a women. Let's rake her over the coals". I WILL NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH YOU AGAIN. Oh and I'm telling 5 of my friends. Thank you.

Original review: April 17, 2018

If I could give this a negative rating, I would. I took my car to NTB on Chalmers Rd in Greenville in May, 2017. I was buying 4 new tires. When they were done, I checked, and my custom wheels were badly scratched. All 4 of them. Frank, the manager tried to dismiss it as "not too bad". We finally agreed he would pay to have the wheels repaired, and for a rental car for me while the repairs were done. Actually, he agreed to that after I got my husband involved. When it was just me, Frank figured he could bully me into backing down.

So after a lot of wrangling, my wheels were repaired. If you've ever rented a car that someone else is paying for, you know that you still have to present a credit card. Which is why, nearly a year later, I discovered that NTB had not paid for the rental car, when the charges for the rental showed up on my credit card. I have to pay the charges. Frank has "no recollection" of agreeing to pay for the rental. In my opinion, he is untrustworthy, and no one should trust their car to him. Especially not women.

Original review: April 15, 2018

NTB are liars and thieves - I bought a new set of tires at NTB in Kemah, TX April 8. They told me my brake pads were about worn out. I didn't look at them, just told them I would fix it myself. This morning I got new pads and proceeded to install them myself. The old pads had probably 10% wear on them. Scam artists probably wouldn't have done anything, even if they had, it would have been unnecessary work. I will never do business with them again.

Original review: April 10, 2018

We went to NTB to investigate a sound coming from our wheels, after paying a substantial amount to have the pads and the disk replaced we noticed none of the electrical components in the car was working anymore. They pleaded ignorance when we brought this to their attention so we took the car to the VW dealership to have it repaired. The service manager immediately told out that the car has been given an improper jump. When we closely examined the NTB receipt we noticed there was a charge for an alternator fuse.

VW tech contacted NTB and they confirmed the improper jump. This means not only they damaged our car they also tried to charge us for the fuse they burned out. As a result we had to spend almost 2500 to have the electrical components replaced in all the doors. I contacted the NTB headquarters who promptly handed the case to another company called Sedgwick who then stopped responding to our calls and emails. When I called NTB headquarters back they told us it is now the hands of Sedgwick and they no longer hold any responsibility or liability. They got quite a scam going. Next stop is civil court.

Original review: March 29, 2018

We bought new tires from NTB in Crestwood, IL on 2-19-18. The car was driving really good until I got on the expressway and hit 55 MPH. That's when the car started shaking in the front. I called NTB on West Joliet Road and explained that we had just purchased tires from the store in Crestwood, IL and that the front end was shaking. They told me I could bring the car in the next day and they would check it out for me. I brought the car in and I explained to the service guy what was going on and he told me that while they could look at it for me, if anything was wrong with the installation I would have to take it back to where the tires were purchased. I asked him why and they said each store is run independently. I decided not to have them look at it and called the Crestwood, IL store the following day to make an appointment. They did tell me that the one tire was not balanced and had corrected the problem.

I was on vacation and wasn't driving on the expressway right away. Once I went back to work and started driving 55MPH again, the problem was still there. The Crestwood, IL store is not near my home or workplace so I have to leave work early to take the car in. I called a couple times to see if they could take me in but each time I called they told me they were booked. I finally got an appointment for 5:00 today. I talked to Sebastian and he said I could drop the car and come back at 6:30. He called me about 6:15 and left a message saying the car was fixed now and it was probably because I was hitting potholes which caused the front end to be out of balance. I explained to him that I'm not hitting potholes but he kept on insisting I was. Anyway, I started driving home taking the highway and sure enough, the car started shaking once I hit 55MPH. We called NTB right away but Sebastian was already gone for the day.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I had schedule to have tire put on the rims and Balance are four tires. The appointment was for 11:30am on March 26, 2018. I already had the tires. I arrived at 11:20 am and checked in. I was met with a friendly hello and smile. I was given a quote for the work and stated I would pay after the work was completed. Aaron stated that he would get right on it. The truck was placed in a bay. I decided to go next door to get a bite to eat at 11:50 am. I returned to the waiting room at 12:25 pm. My truck was had yet to be touched by any of the service techs.

Another hour passed and still my truck was not completed. It is now 1:30 pm and the tire have been moved to the changing station. They were moved there some 25 minutes earlier. I asked Aaron what was the problem. His answer was they were busy and the tires and rims were oversized and it too long to change and balance. I asked why the tires had been moved but nothing done. He didn't have any answer for me. After that Aaron went to the back and rounded up his guys and got them working on my tires. At 1:55 pm my tires were mounted and balanced and I was on my way. Aaron stated that he was going to cut the balance charge since I had to wait so long. I accepted.

My issue with this whole experience that it took 2 hours and 25 minutes to put 4 tires and balance them. This is for anyone unacceptable. I had a Scheduled Appointment. I didn't just drop by without notice. I will not be back to NTB Lake Wyle SC anytime soon. NTB what do you think of this? Will You reply? Will you address and fix this kind of issues? We will see!

Original review: March 13, 2018

Alternator went out when I was out of town, NTB was the closest place to tow that was open on the weekend. Less than a year and two batteries later (their workmanship shorted out the battery connections), the alternator is out again. We had to pay someone to put in new battery connections due to their workmanship. The mechanic (from a reputable company) said the rebuilt alternator that NTB installed in the car was junk and looked like rust had been painted over on the alternator. When we contacted them they stated they would replace the alternator since it was still under the one year warranty but would charge labor. Previously my daughter had NTB (another location) install an alternator in another vehicle and it ended up costing her in repairs after the install and also had to have the alternator replaced before the year was out.

Resolution response: April 4, 2018

After having to spend more money to get the tire repaired correctly at Firestone. I contacted NTB corporate office about my experience, they responded quickly and they agreed to reimburse the money spent at NTB

on the tire repair.

Original review: March 11, 2018

Went to NTB in January to get a slow leak on my Jeep repaired, left with the understanding that it had repaired. Next day tire pressure indicator came by on and you could visually see the tire was low. Rode around thinking maybe the indicator would go off, it never did. Went to another NTB location in hoping to get resolution, they informed me they would not repair the tire because it had been improperly patched and advised me to go back to the location I paid for the repair.

Went back to the original location and after sitting there for over 2 hours they said they didn't see anything wrong and the next day the tire pressure indicator came back on and more air needed to be added. Went back again the following weekend to see the salesperson who originally handled my ticket and checked me out. I was told he would be in at 10:00. Waited till 11:30 and he never showed up. So disappointed in runaround I haven't gotten just trying to get the tire repaired properly. I have lost trust and confidence in the NTB name and service.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

Has a slow leak in a tire and so used fix-a-flat to repair it. Went to NTB to have it repaired properly and they told me that they would not repair a tire that has had fix-a-flat liquid in it because the tire is "compromised". Got the manager to confirm, this is really the policy of NTB! NTB justification for this is that fix-a-flat liquid "damages" the rubber inside the tire. This is absolutely false and just about any other tire repair place will tell you it's false. NTB is trying to force people to replace perfectly good tires that happened to get a leak in them. Absolutely a RIPOFF. Be careful, because NTB won't tell you that they refuse to repair the tire, until you get to the store and they have your car up on the rack already! DO NOT GIVE NTB ANY BUSINESS AT ALL.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

NTB in Manassas on Sudley Road messed up my 2012 Pathfinder rear lower control arm, they broke a bolt doing the front end alignment, then messed up the lower control arm trying to get the bolt out. I have missed two days work. NTB wants me to pay for parts they Screwed up. I called their corporate headquarters and filed a complaint about this service, the worst I can imagine.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I purchased four tires less than two months ago. I purchased the road hazard warranty and for the second time I was told that I didn't have the warranty. I will never purchase anything from them again.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

Worst experience I have ever spent in one place. Spent 6 hours to get 4 tires changed and one battery change. They will not meet price. They will not do as they say they will do. I will not recommend NTB. They will put on tires that you don't even ask for and when you ask to have them change they want extra money. I will not recommend this place for anybody because you'll get ripped off.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

I took my car on 12/31/2017 to the Springfield OH location for a no heat issue at idle. The diagnostic was a clogged radiator and a Thermostat. I was told I needed to replace both of them at a $600+ cost... I refused the service and took the car back. The car needed simply a heater core backflush.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

In taking my car to NTB in Matthews, NC I already completed my research on the cost of an oil change. My car take 6 Quarts of oil so knowing it would be an extra $4 I asked the uneducated service guy if it was only $4 more per quarter. His answer was, "Something like that". LOL, the idiot doesn't even know his own prices. Anyways, as they pull my car into the service garage I start to read online reviews about NTB and to my surprise (at that moment) they have terrible reviews.

So I moved and sat at a table where I could see my car. The whole time watching the so-called mechanic change my oil. He kept looking at me like he was up to something. After adding fresh oil to my car he had another mechanic verify the dipstick for oil level. WTH? He doesn't know how to read a dipstick? Anyways, they were suppose to check all my other fluids and complete a tire rotation for free but after reading the reviews I don't want them to touch anything else on my car. For a $33 oil change I will go back but for nothing else.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

Went there to buy 4 tires, was never asked about additional services. I told them I wanted my old tires back, the assumption on my part was a balance, they sold me road hazard and an alignment without asking. The service manager Eion tried to tell me that the front camber in my car is out of spec and not adjustable. I told him it was and how to do it, (I looked it up and I'm a FORMER A.S.E. certified Mechanic with 25 years exp) it didn't get done although I paid full price. When I got home with my old tires I noticed I was charged $12.00 disposal fee, for what? When I removed the 2 tires from my trunk I noticed that I NOW have a $250.00 BENT amateur Radio Antenna. I'm NOT the poster boy for happy at all, AND this pleasure only cost me $600.12.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I have been to NTB originally to have my brakes, rotors and new tires. Within one year they told me I need brake pads and new rotors. They told me it was because a brake caliper was stuck on and I was using my brakes all the time while driving. So I had both replaced again. First time I had them done cost me over 900$ dollars. The second time I supposedly got free brake pads and they had my car for two hours. I was also charged 110$ per hour labor and I was charged two hundred and 220! for one job and there was a second person that worked on the calipers so I was charged labor for him so this job also cost me over 900$ despite free brake pads.

It is less than a year and I’m bringing my car to the dealership because I think there is something wrong with my brakes again. I also bought all season tires from them and the tread was worn and needed to be replaced after just over 10,000 miles and they are supposed to be warrantied for 50,000 miles. I was told I would get a partial credit for the tires to be replaced and I would still be charged 110$ per hour for labor. And of course I watched them work on my car and they took their sweet ** time on my car and moved like slugs because they get paid for hourly on each job. Must have made some nice money on my job taking 2 hours to do this work which I have seen it done in way less time as this. And to top it off when I called and spoke with a customer person to complain I said they were ripping me off and just hung up on me. THEY ARE DISHONEST AND THIEVES, if I could give them negative stars I would and I every person not to go there!!!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

Had lug nuts that were locked. He stripped the lug tool. Had to go buy lug nuts and now have no lug nuts that are locked, which that cost me $35.00 to replace. Even where I bought them said he did not have it placed right or he would not have stripped the lock.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

Back in May 2017 I had 2 new tires installed on the rear of my 2005 Chevrolet Cavalier at the location in Porter, TX. I did not notice what they had done till that night when I looked at passenger side of my car and saw that my plastic wheel cover was cracked & broken. I know what they did was use the air wrench on those plastic lug nuts that hold it on. Then in August I stopped at location in North Houston at FM1960 and asked for an oil change. The manager actually refused to change my oil. His excuse was there was a small amount of oil stain on the oil pan. After these 2 incidents, I will not use NTB for anything in the future.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

Had a bad tire and tried to buy 4 new (Cooper Tires) but they did not have them in stock so I got 1. A few months later I got 2 more and front end alignment. Then a brake job a couple of months later. I still only had 50,000 on my car when the tread on all 3 tires I got from NTB separated. Awkward. Screaming mfg defect and very dangerous. The 3 tires were less than a yr and still in warranty. I was told I needed struts on rear where one original tire and one NTB tire were. I had to buy 4 new tires plus more warranty thing. They only gave 1/2 credit on the 3 tires then the audacity to charge fees for balancing and mounting plus lifetime mounting in the replacement tires. Over $1200 to get my car back!

They should have replaced at least 2 tires free with free mount and balancing, half off one tire with free mount and balancing under the warranty. Given me my military discount on the 4th tire charged to mount and balance it. Military discount on the struts and I would gladly pay to warranty the 4 new tires. But what is the point of paying extra for warranty when they don't replace tires with obvious manufacture defects that could cost me my life.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

I purchased a set of tires from NTB two years ago and bought the warranty on the tire. The tires were two years old and had 15 thousand miles on them. The warranty was still good as it was for the life of the tire. When I called about getting the tire replaced with the warranty I was told the price was $207.00 for a tire that only cost $66 a piece when I bought them. The only thing I added to this was a tire pressure monitoring system for $65.00. They told me that this price was before deductions but couldn't or wouldn't tell me how much was being deducted. I am not the smartest person around but even I know that $207.00 for a tire that cost $66.00 was ridiculous. I went to Wal-Mart and bought a tire for about 110.00 with a new tire pressure monitoring system stem and I got all the same warranty on the tires. I will never shop at NTB again.

National Tire & Battery (NTB) Company Information