National Tire & Battery (NTB)
National Tire & Battery (NTB)
1.12/5

National Tire & Battery

579 National Tire & Battery (NTB) Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

Took my truck in for a simple coolant leak. They charged me 250$ to replace the upper hose which takes 5 minutes. I didn’t mind paying to make sure it was done right... Huge mistake because 2 days later my truck was making a knocking noise, stalled out. So immediately I popped the hood, checked my radiator fluid level which was completely empty!!! NTB paid for tow to their shop to tell me I blew the head gasket!!!

They told me it wasn’t their fault... What a joke... The regional manager screened my calls and didn’t return any of the calls I made to him which was about 50. They sent in an insurance adjuster of their choice just to tell me they’re not at fault. Make a long story short a simple repair turned into a ruined vehicle. I have 4 young daughters and a wife that depends on me to provide for them and this was my only form of transportation in the line of work I do. Extremely upset, aggravated, and angry at the same time, just praying the lord will provide me with another truck so I can take care of my family! Thanks NTB! Great service!!!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Went to buy 4 tires they advertised. NO they said. Have to buy installation package at a ridiculous price. This company is not customer oriented. They are money money money oriented. Don't go there. No no.

Get expert buying tips about Auto Service and Repair delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

Took my vehicle in this past weekend for oil change and tire rotation. Had to drop it off with them. They said they would call when done. Never heard anything the rest of the day. Decided to call the next morning and they said it was ready. Picked it up the next day. Was looking out the window of the house and noticed something hanging down under the front of the car. Went out to take a look. This vehicle has a cover that lays under the engine up front. It was not fastened to the chassis on the passenger side. Two bolts should be holding this up. I assume they had to remove this for the oil change? Get up the next morning to take it back to them and it won't start. Have lights but engine won't crank. Called them and basically there's nothing they can do. I have to drive it to them or pay for a tow to get it to them. This is unacceptable to me. I will never do business with NTB again!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

I went to NTB in Raleigh to get quotes for changing my tires. I was surprised to see the extra fees appended to the quote which were outrageous. In Costco or Discount Tires, there is a single installation charge per tire and government taxes & fees which includes lifetime balance and rotations. For NTB, there are mount & install charge, one time balance fee, lifetime rotations of tires fee, TPMS repair fee (which is weird as you don't see it in others), tire disposal charge, etc. They sum up to be almost twice more expensive than others for basic installation that does not include the lifetime balance and rotation. The installation that includes lifetime balance & rotation (they call it Value Installation Package) ends up to 4 or 5 times more expensive than the competitors. I don't understand how they are still in business unless customers are ignoring to look at the details of their bills.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

First of all, they refuse to install tires that are not bought from them. Then, they charge minimum $25 installation PER TIRE if you do buy from them. Worst of all, they will send you a "deal" to lure you in but then when you look at the price of all the worthless but mandatory extras to qualify for the deal you will see it actually costs more!!! Horrible business.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about NTB Tires?

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

Had appt. scheduled for a 2005 Crossfire for spark plugs and brought a new rim to be installed on driver's side front tire. Brought car in at 9:00 am, came back at 3 and the mechanics were unaware the Crossfire has 12 spark plugs not 6. Aren't car mechanics supposed to know these things?? At 6:00 pm drove home to find out these same genius mechanics put the new rim on the wrong tire. Went back this morning before they could throw good rim away and was met with a HOSTILE manager. Raleigh, NC. STAY CLEAR of this facility.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

I was traveling and had to have a tow to the nearest facility. I told them exactly what the problem was... Starter had failed. The starter was replaced for $505 dollars. I was charged $303 for a starter I could get for $125. I was charged $109 for a 30 minute job. Plus shop fees whatever that means of $35. I will not recommend them if there's another choice.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I'm from out of state and had a nail in my tire. They said they'd patch it but I had to leave it. I came back seven hours later and not only had they not patched it, they didn't even fill out a work order for it. I took my tire and left.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

Omg. I drove 5 miles only because I have coupon 19.88 oil change. Today is 8/1/18 hour 11:35 2819 N Central ave. Chicago. and the supervisor told me, "Sorry but I can accept your coupon today." If I want to come back Saturday it is ok. But no today. Omg. Mexican supervisor.

Original review: July 30, 2018

I went back to NTB because my less than 3 year old battery I purchased there died. They replaced my alternator for nearly $1000. Two days later, had to replace the battery. Next day, check engine light was on. Went to my trusted mechanic. A sensor near the alternator was unplugged. My mechanic would have charged half that amount, assuming the alternator in a 5 year old Toyota with 84,000 miles was bad to start with. I’ll always wonder if the sensor was left unplugged intentionally. Staff was very friendly, but they apparently saw a single female coming and took advantage. I’ll never go back and will warn everyone.

Original review: July 21, 2018

So my mom and I went to NTB to get my tires replaced with new ones and my dad set an appointment online and asked if they had a lifetime warranty for the tires and they said it would be given with the tires installation for no charge so my mom signed the paper thinking it would be given to us with the tire installation. So after we waited two hours (including another 45 extra minutes just waiting for our name to be called to pay) we asked to make sure that the lifetime warranty came with the tires and they said "no you didn't put that in your online reservation saying you wanted a lifetime warranty and each tire would cost another $14 for lifetime warranty" and so my mom called my dad asking to speak with the person we were talking to now and immediately he called out his rude manager to talk to my dad.

My dad accused him of lying because when he called them and asked if the tire installation came with a lifetime warranty, they said yes with no cost. And now the manager got mad and didn't let my dad finish what he had to say by saying "Sir, sir, sir we aren't liars, everything here is automatically priced sir. I don't know what you're complaining about" and he just hung up on my dad and since we had to pay extra for the lifetime warranty we just decided to pay for the tire installation since my dad already bought the tires online.

WHILE WE WERE STILL THERE PAYING the manager grabs the worker who stood in front of us and yelled "next time CIRCLE the PRICE so that people don't accuse us of lying because I don't even know what he was complaining about" and since my mom and I are Korean I guess they assumed we didn't understand English because the manager just started talking ** about us in front of us saying "Look I don't even know why they're complaint because SHE already signed the paper and it has the PRICE on THERE". I was just thinking we were genuinely confused so we asked why it didn't come with lifetime warranty since a worker here at NTB said that it came with the tire installation for no cost and now they were saying it cost extra so there was no need for rude attitude.

They could've handled it better by saying "oh I'm so sorry sir but I guess our worker was misinformed because the lifetime warranty costs extra" and maybe they should actually listen to their customer before cutting them off and maybe they'll understand what we're complaining about. I honestly wanted to say something back to the manager but talking back to someone who is as stupid as he is would be like talking to a brick wall. They have rude service, the wait time is overly long, they price you for anything and if you're not a certain race they'll most likely take you for granted.

Original review: July 7, 2018

Just a heads up if you ever need service from NTB on Oxmoor Road in Homewood Al. Don't use them. I left King of Prussia Pennsylvania at 4 AM this morning. Driving home, I dropped 2 associates off at our office in Birmingham and as I was driving home I had a flat off Oxmoor. I drove to NTB and arrived at 7:48 PM, they close at 8PM. There was 2 people on duty and the manager or lead person on duty refused to give me service, he said he had no one to replace the tire.

His help was standing next to his truck 75 feet from me smoking and neither would help. I know they closed in 12 minutes but to refuse service is not very fair. I then ask if I could borrow a jack and tire tool to get the tire off where I could take it somewhere else and was told no. They waited until 8 PM and walked right by me and said nothing. Newer cars do not have tire tools or spares so I am now stuck here until tomorrow until I can get the tire repaired, I can assure you they will never get any of my business again! PERIOD.

Original review: June 18, 2018

I feel like NTB took advantage of me. I went to get new tires, they were having a sale at buy 3 get 1 free, which cost me about $800. After driving it for a while, a friend got in my car and told me that my tires were loud. I took it to the dealership to have the oil changed and at first they said that my tires were okay. When I went back a couple of months later and inquired about the tires again they told me that I needed new tires. I went back to NTB and they told me that I needed 4 new struts that would cost me between $1,100 and $1,600. I had 3 other mechanics look at my car and they all said the same thing, that there was nothing wrong with my struts. One mechanic told me that the tires that were sold to me were snow tires. I ended up having to buy 4 new tires from a mechanic that I trust. I would never recommend NTB to anyone!!

Original review: June 15, 2018

On 5/25/18 I took my Ford F-150 to get the oil changed and tires rotated. I had a vibration when I would stop every now and then not always. NTB in Cedar Hill told me I needed new Struts. Mine were bad and leaking. To replace them it would be roughly $900. Needless to say I couldn't afford it at that time. My AC went out in my truck. It was still in warranty. I took it to the dealership and had them check the vibration. They told me I needed new brake pads and possibly turn my rotors. This would be less than $200, NTB made it sound like my truck was not road worthy because of the "Broken" strut. The dealership shook their heads and laughed. I will never take my truck even for an oil change to NTB again especially after reading the reviews.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I took my Ford Mustang to get all new brakes in February 2018 to the NTB in Hutto Tx, I will never ever go there again!! They told me I neeed to change my rotors so I got all new rotors also. It is now June and just two Sundays ago my front tire came off while I was driving my car. Thank God I was not going fast, and I was two miles from home. When we went to see what happened we found out the nut to my ball joint was never put back on. The joint was just bouncing up and down, barely hanging on. This caused major damage to the inside of my rim. Also we found out that they only changed the front brakes, when they were paid to change all four of them. So NTB Hutto took money for a job they did not complete.

I even got a credit card from them, which I will be canceling also. We also got a new battery but they said they could not change the terminals. Very unsatisfied with these so called professionals. So from now on I will be getting my tires, brakes, rotors elsewhere. I only put 1 star because I have to, these guys don't deserve that!!!

Original review: June 7, 2018

Scheduled a rear tire replacement on my wife’s Mercedes Benz for 8:00 AM on 6/07/2018. Arrived at 0745 hrs and advised that work would take three hours. Went to breakfast while car was to be in the shop. Arrived back at 10:00 am to find car still in the lot. Technician advised that rear wheel hubs needed to be replaced. Told tech to replace them. Advised by service desk person that they would be ordered and installed along with new tires and alignment. Later told me that the new hubs were delivered.

Went to lunch at noon. Came back and observed car on lift with new tires mounted on rims and hubs disassembled. Further advised that tech was taking a “bathroom break”. At 3:30pm, tech advised that wrong hubs were delivered. Service desk person advised she was going to pick up her kids from school and would get hubs on the way. At 5:45pm, still no hubs, tech on site advised that he was sorry for the delay. This is ridiculous and extremely unprofessional and not to be tolerated anymore. Going to take it up with BBB of Maryland if not remedied soon.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I've used NTB for years because the prices and services seemed reasonable. My latest trip to replace a car battery changed that. My car is one of those that inexplicably have the battery under the front wheel. Battery replacement requires a car lift, wheel and fender-well cover removal, yada yada. I got charged the fee for the new battery, and the fee for old removal/new installation --- all well. Then, there was a sneak charge of $100.00 to test the charging system.

I think it's just sound mechanics to check the charging system in the event of battery failure. But, it's far more important for a business to charge only for things the customer wants done. If the shop wants to check that the alternator is charging, have at it and thanks. But don't charge me $100 for a "favor" I didn't ask for, authorize or even knew was being done. Checking that the system is charging only involves placing an ammeter in series with either battery terminal, which are already disconnected anyway since the battery is being replaced! Nope; don't think I'll ever be seen at NTB again.

Original review: May 26, 2018

Well today was my 3rd appointment and I have my 4th appointment in 1 week scheduled for tomorrow. They rotated my tires 1 week ago and now my car shakes and makes a horrible noise. I have been told by another company that they were rotated incorrectly!?! I tried calling the manager Drew but he refused to call me back and had Henry, his employee, call me back. They have agreed to put my tires back the way they were before they rotated but they wanted to charge me over 300.00 for replacement tires! I can’t believe this scam they are running. I really wish I would have read these reviews before going there. Please go elsewhere and don’t waste your money!!

Original review: May 16, 2018

I went to NTB for cylinder misfires and me having faith in them to get the job done right they let me down because after taking my car there twice here it is again that I’m still having a misfire. The misfires now are 1&3 before it was 5&7. This will be the third time for the same issues. You tell me if this is good business or not?

Original review: May 3, 2018

I took my van to NTB in Union City GA. to see what was causing the brake light to come on. I specifically told them my concern was the brake light. They told me they would inspect the brake system and tell me what it was. Later in the morning they came back and said I needed over $1500.00 of work done on the front brake system to fix the brake light issue. They said I needed new brake drums, calibers, brake pads, system flush... Because the brake light was coming on before I went to them, I had replaced my front pads myself a few months before and didn't see any problems with the brake assemblies when I checked them myself. I reluctantly agreed to NTB agreement and signed to begin work.

When they finished all the work they told me to pay. I did and left the office. I crank the truck and the light came on in the parking lot. I called complaining and they said they could not get the light to go off and I should call Ford. I told them they charged me and the issue was still there and I wanted it fixed. They took it back in the next day and said they would replaced the master cylinder. But, the light was still coming on afterwards and they said they was not going to do anything else.

I called NTB Customer service and was assigned Mrs. ** and was told to take the truck to Ford, have it inspected to verify the brake light cause and the issue would be settled. I took it to Ford and they said it was a electrical issue and fixed it for $198.00. Ford also said the front wheel bearings were damaged and needed replacement. Another cost of around $400.00. After sending Ford's information over to Mrs. ** at NTB customer service, she began to dispute Ford's finding, criticizing the written estimate and saying NTB did nothing wrong. NTB failed to identify the real cause of the brake light issue, repaired and replaced the wrong components and is not taking responsibility. NTB customer service has failed to solve my problem and is not taking responsibility. I want my money back please!

Original review: April 20, 2018

I decided to take my truck in to get two new tires, also my air conditioner was not working. So I asked them to take a look at it. I had parts in hand. They charged me for putting on the parts no problem with that. But then your manager Cliff came back to me and said it would cost $1200 dollars to get the unit working. Well, guess what? I took it somewhere else and paid 300.00 and it's working. This is why ladies don't feel safe or want to bring their vehicle to shops because it's like some shops say "It's a women. Let's rake her over the coals". I WILL NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH YOU AGAIN. Oh and I'm telling 5 of my friends. Thank you.

Original review: April 17, 2018

If I could give this a negative rating, I would. I took my car to NTB on Chalmers Rd in Greenville in May, 2017. I was buying 4 new tires. When they were done, I checked, and my custom wheels were badly scratched. All 4 of them. Frank, the manager tried to dismiss it as "not too bad". We finally agreed he would pay to have the wheels repaired, and for a rental car for me while the repairs were done. Actually, he agreed to that after I got my husband involved. When it was just me, Frank figured he could bully me into backing down.

So after a lot of wrangling, my wheels were repaired. If you've ever rented a car that someone else is paying for, you know that you still have to present a credit card. Which is why, nearly a year later, I discovered that NTB had not paid for the rental car, when the charges for the rental showed up on my credit card. I have to pay the charges. Frank has "no recollection" of agreeing to pay for the rental. In my opinion, he is untrustworthy, and no one should trust their car to him. Especially not women.

Original review: April 15, 2018

NTB are liars and thieves - I bought a new set of tires at NTB in Kemah, TX April 8. They told me my brake pads were about worn out. I didn't look at them, just told them I would fix it myself. This morning I got new pads and proceeded to install them myself. The old pads had probably 10% wear on them. Scam artists probably wouldn't have done anything, even if they had, it would have been unnecessary work. I will never do business with them again.

Original review: April 10, 2018

We went to NTB to investigate a sound coming from our wheels, after paying a substantial amount to have the pads and the disk replaced we noticed none of the electrical components in the car was working anymore. They pleaded ignorance when we brought this to their attention so we took the car to the VW dealership to have it repaired. The service manager immediately told out that the car has been given an improper jump. When we closely examined the NTB receipt we noticed there was a charge for an alternator fuse.

VW tech contacted NTB and they confirmed the improper jump. This means not only they damaged our car they also tried to charge us for the fuse they burned out. As a result we had to spend almost 2500 to have the electrical components replaced in all the doors. I contacted the NTB headquarters who promptly handed the case to another company called Sedgwick who then stopped responding to our calls and emails. When I called NTB headquarters back they told us it is now the hands of Sedgwick and they no longer hold any responsibility or liability. They got quite a scam going. Next stop is civil court.

Original review: March 29, 2018

We bought new tires from NTB in Crestwood, IL on 2-19-18. The car was driving really good until I got on the expressway and hit 55 MPH. That's when the car started shaking in the front. I called NTB on West Joliet Road and explained that we had just purchased tires from the store in Crestwood, IL and that the front end was shaking. They told me I could bring the car in the next day and they would check it out for me. I brought the car in and I explained to the service guy what was going on and he told me that while they could look at it for me, if anything was wrong with the installation I would have to take it back to where the tires were purchased. I asked him why and they said each store is run independently. I decided not to have them look at it and called the Crestwood, IL store the following day to make an appointment. They did tell me that the one tire was not balanced and had corrected the problem.

I was on vacation and wasn't driving on the expressway right away. Once I went back to work and started driving 55MPH again, the problem was still there. The Crestwood, IL store is not near my home or workplace so I have to leave work early to take the car in. I called a couple times to see if they could take me in but each time I called they told me they were booked. I finally got an appointment for 5:00 today. I talked to Sebastian and he said I could drop the car and come back at 6:30. He called me about 6:15 and left a message saying the car was fixed now and it was probably because I was hitting potholes which caused the front end to be out of balance. I explained to him that I'm not hitting potholes but he kept on insisting I was. Anyway, I started driving home taking the highway and sure enough, the car started shaking once I hit 55MPH. We called NTB right away but Sebastian was already gone for the day.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I had schedule to have tire put on the rims and Balance are four tires. The appointment was for 11:30am on March 26, 2018. I already had the tires. I arrived at 11:20 am and checked in. I was met with a friendly hello and smile. I was given a quote for the work and stated I would pay after the work was completed. Aaron stated that he would get right on it. The truck was placed in a bay. I decided to go next door to get a bite to eat at 11:50 am. I returned to the waiting room at 12:25 pm. My truck was had yet to be touched by any of the service techs.

Another hour passed and still my truck was not completed. It is now 1:30 pm and the tire have been moved to the changing station. They were moved there some 25 minutes earlier. I asked Aaron what was the problem. His answer was they were busy and the tires and rims were oversized and it too long to change and balance. I asked why the tires had been moved but nothing done. He didn't have any answer for me. After that Aaron went to the back and rounded up his guys and got them working on my tires. At 1:55 pm my tires were mounted and balanced and I was on my way. Aaron stated that he was going to cut the balance charge since I had to wait so long. I accepted.

My issue with this whole experience that it took 2 hours and 25 minutes to put 4 tires and balance them. This is for anyone unacceptable. I had a Scheduled Appointment. I didn't just drop by without notice. I will not be back to NTB Lake Wyle SC anytime soon. NTB what do you think of this? Will You reply? Will you address and fix this kind of issues? We will see!

Original review: March 13, 2018

Alternator went out when I was out of town, NTB was the closest place to tow that was open on the weekend. Less than a year and two batteries later (their workmanship shorted out the battery connections), the alternator is out again. We had to pay someone to put in new battery connections due to their workmanship. The mechanic (from a reputable company) said the rebuilt alternator that NTB installed in the car was junk and looked like rust had been painted over on the alternator. When we contacted them they stated they would replace the alternator since it was still under the one year warranty but would charge labor. Previously my daughter had NTB (another location) install an alternator in another vehicle and it ended up costing her in repairs after the install and also had to have the alternator replaced before the year was out.

Resolution response: April 4, 2018

After having to spend more money to get the tire repaired correctly at Firestone. I contacted NTB corporate office about my experience, they responded quickly and they agreed to reimburse the money spent at NTB

on the tire repair.

Original review: March 11, 2018

Went to NTB in January to get a slow leak on my Jeep repaired, left with the understanding that it had repaired. Next day tire pressure indicator came by on and you could visually see the tire was low. Rode around thinking maybe the indicator would go off, it never did. Went to another NTB location in hoping to get resolution, they informed me they would not repair the tire because it had been improperly patched and advised me to go back to the location I paid for the repair.

Went back to the original location and after sitting there for over 2 hours they said they didn't see anything wrong and the next day the tire pressure indicator came back on and more air needed to be added. Went back again the following weekend to see the salesperson who originally handled my ticket and checked me out. I was told he would be in at 10:00. Waited till 11:30 and he never showed up. So disappointed in runaround I haven't gotten just trying to get the tire repaired properly. I have lost trust and confidence in the NTB name and service.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

Has a slow leak in a tire and so used fix-a-flat to repair it. Went to NTB to have it repaired properly and they told me that they would not repair a tire that has had fix-a-flat liquid in it because the tire is "compromised". Got the manager to confirm, this is really the policy of NTB! NTB justification for this is that fix-a-flat liquid "damages" the rubber inside the tire. This is absolutely false and just about any other tire repair place will tell you it's false. NTB is trying to force people to replace perfectly good tires that happened to get a leak in them. Absolutely a RIPOFF. Be careful, because NTB won't tell you that they refuse to repair the tire, until you get to the store and they have your car up on the rack already! DO NOT GIVE NTB ANY BUSINESS AT ALL.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

NTB in Manassas on Sudley Road messed up my 2012 Pathfinder rear lower control arm, they broke a bolt doing the front end alignment, then messed up the lower control arm trying to get the bolt out. I have missed two days work. NTB wants me to pay for parts they Screwed up. I called their corporate headquarters and filed a complaint about this service, the worst I can imagine.

National Tire & Battery (NTB) Company Information