National Tire & Battery

Compare Auto Service and Repair Companies

Research top Auto Service and Repair Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

NTB on Reisterstown Road of Owings Mills MD took advantage of my sister who is emotionally challenged and a senior citizen. Bottom line a $480.00 bill became $1,925 one. She needed new tires and because I live in another state, I selected the precise tires made arranged and appointment with this NTB. They told me the bill would be $480.00. I asked the sales person to be kind to Eve and that she lacked ego strength and would need guidance. They guided her right into a 1,925.00 bill! They went over her vehicle with a fine tooth comb and suggested work above and beyond new tires. I could have lived with an alignment and ball joints but they went beyond... tune up, power steering flush, fuel system flush.

My sister's income is $10,400 a year. When I called them to discuss the bill, the salesman said "We do not screen customers for income." Surely I understood this... but my mistake was I made them aware of her vulnerabilities and mental state and they totally exploited her. Thank you for allowing me to vent. I will ensure that the Reisterstown and Owings Mills MD area will be aware of the parasitic nature of their local NTB... and I will not step foot in another one to conduct business myself. I hope they choke on the increased sales and revenue that they reap from what I see as unfair sales tactics on the challenged, elderly, and people who have limited knowledge of automotive mechanics.

At 9 am I came in to get tires rotated, asked to check bearings. At 10 finally came in said they needed to be replaced. At 12 I asked where they were with my vehicle said they were working on it. I can see clearly through the window they are not. I know that they order the wrong parts one side has abs this NTB service has gone down the drain. Still waiting 1:20.

I drop off my car for an alignment at 8:30am. I was told it will take Two hours. I came back at 5:00pm. And it was not ready yet. I asked the guy at the front counter and he said they were working on it. I don't think an alignment will take 9 hours to do. I will never came back or recommend this place to anybody.

I will never go here again. I went there to get a tire replaced, tires rotated and a new battery. Worst mistake of my life! I left and when I got down the road I noticed my car was shaking when I drive so I called and told them. I was told that it had to "settle" and to give it a while. Weeks later on a Friday it was still doing the same thing so I called and told them and I was told to bring it back. They looked it over after hours and I was told it needed a wheel hub assembly. So I went and bought the part because they told me to and they put it on. When I got down the road, not only was it still shaking, but while braking it made a grinding noise and the brake was clicking as I pressed it. I immediately took it back. They looked over it again and told me once again that it had to "settle" and that if it hadn't stopped by Monday to bring it back.

It was still doing it by Monday so I called them back and asked when was a good time to bring it. The manager said, "I don't know why they told you that because he's not here." So the next day I called again and the manager said,"Well, he's about to go home in 30 minutes." I said, "please this is the only vehicle I have and I use it to go to work." He said, "Well if you can get here in 15 minutes I'll see if he can look at it." So when I got there, and they FINALLY got to my car they told me that they thought it was the wheel beringer on the other side because someone had wrapped the cords around something and that they wanted to do another diagnostic. So I left my truck there. When they finally called me the next day they told me that the part I bought had a bad sensor so they took the sensor off my old part, put it on the new one and put it back in my car.

When I went to pick it up, I was relieved. The manager said, "I test drove it, the mechanic drove it and it drives like a dream!" More like a nightmare!!! The grinding and brake had stopped acting up, but the shaking was worse! I deciding not to go back up there and just called customer support and made a complaint. He called the store and basically the manager told all kind of lies so I was told to take it back and get another diagnosis. I told him I was worried about taking it back there since I had complained on them so we agreed to take it to another location. I did and I signed paperwork and the mechanic told me that they would find out what the problem was and they would call me before doing any work. The result I got back was shocking!!! The mechanic there told me that they misdiagnosed my problem big time. I had bolts missing and my front drive shaft was gone!

Then I was told that if I wanted it fixed it would be an extra $380 because they would give me credit for the part and labor that I had recently paid for. I called the customer service rep that I had talked to and he told me that he had already put the part on and I told him that I couldn't afford that. So they took the part back off and it took me days to get my truck back. The end result ending up being that they would only give my money back for the labor and not the part because I didn't get it from them. But they were the ones that told me to go get it from somewhere else because it would be cheaper to do so. They also offered me a $50 royalty card but I didn't take it because I'm NEVER going back there again. I WISH SOMEONE WOULD START A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT OR PETITION AGAINST THEM BECAUSE I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE WITH THESE PROBLEMS.

I went to NTB to get 4 new tires on my truck. They told me that I needed almost $4,000 worth of additional work and that the vehicle was dangerous to drive. I was told that the brakes were dangerous, the shocks were bad and I don't remember what else. I told them to put the tires on, give me a list of repairs and I would take it to my personal mechanic. They also failed my inspection. My mechanic told me that the only thing that he could find wrong is that the brakes were borderline bad, which I had him replace, but were not bad enough to even fail it on the inspection which he completed. Everything else was fine. My bill was MUCH less than the $4,000 that the NTB mechanic wanted to charge me for fictitious problems! They performed an alignment on my son's car and he had to have it realigned elsewhere a few months later because it didn't drive straight. I will not return here and would not recommend it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about NTB Tires?

I stopped at the NTB in Crystal MN on 4/8/2017 and got a price on tires and set a appointment up for 4/9/2017 for tires and a alignment. They said they had to get the tires from another store and they would have them later that day. On 4/9/2017 my appointment was an 12:00 PM and I'd be out the door by 1:30 PM because I had things I needed to get done. So I told them I was going to be early. I showed up to the store at 11:35 AM and the tires were not there so someone had to go get them and they had no one there to do alignments. They started to take the rims and tires off the vehicle but the tools they were using were garbage. Meanwhile the tires finally showed up to the store.

Finally just before 3 they were done with my truck. I told them if they would have allowed me to do it it would have only took me 45 minutes and I would have been done and on the road with new tires on my truck. Now I have to go back and have my alignment completed and I'm wondering if that's going to take another whole day.

I called ahead and they said that they would gladly use my oil instead of theirs. I expected no discount or up-charge. I arrive at the appt. and they are firm that they would NOT use my oil. The service people were rude and unhelpful. I will never use NTB and I will pass the experience on to everyone I know and all social media also. I should have looked at their low ratings.

I took my 2008 Equinox to National Battery and Tire - Concord Pike Wilmington DE on 4/1 for a simple oil change. I was told they could NOT do the oil change because supposed my car was leaking gasoline "all over their shop floor." I was told NOT only could they NOT do the oil change (which leaking gas had nothing to do with) but that it would cost me over 1000.00 to have fixed and the car was unsafe to drive. I was in a panic. Finally I called a CHEVY Dealership. I was told it sounded like the Fuel Pump Modulator which is under recall on the 2008 Equinox and being fixed for FREE by GM. I was also told that this had been know to ALL mechanics worth their salt for 2 years now and wondered why the people at NTB had not told me this, but instead tried to scare a woman in her 60's into spending a 1000.00 or more on an issue that they knew FULL well would be fixed for free by the dealership.

Took my car to National Tire and Battery on South Kings highway in St. Louis Missouri. Paid over $1,600 to get repairs done on my car and some of the same issues are still occurring. Today is April the 2nd 2017 and manager refuses to fix the situation.

My parents took their Lincoln to NTB in Humble, TX. They charged them $861 for an oil change, 2 tires, serpentine belt, A/C compressor belt, and belt tensioner assembly. When my parents went to pick up their car it was making a horrid loud roaring noise. NTB tried to blame it on the Air Bag Compressor Suspension to avoid assuming responsibility for the problem. They NEVER drove the car to even acknowledge the issue. So my parents took it to the Ford Dealer who found the problem, NTB had damaged the exhaust damper which was twisted and grounding out on the floor board.

I personally called Shawn, one of the Managers who was involved from the beginning and he refused to acknowledge any validity of the documentation from the Ford dealer but wanted to look at the car to NOW determine if they were responsible. Since the problem is now repaired of course he won't find a reason to assume fault on behalf of NTB. There are over 600 internet complaints against NTB - STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY. THEY ARE CROOKS!!

I was pricing timing belt replacement as recommended, routine maintenance for my 2005 Honda Civic. They said they could do the job for the best price I had found $600. The mechanic did it wrong, bent all the valves. I was in a rental (they did provide the rental) for nearly a week. When I got the car back it overheated 3 days later. They towed the car in, stated it was the EGR valve. A week later it overheated again due to them using the wrong intake gasket. I vowed at this point to never use them again, even to repair their mistakes.

A month later the motor mount broke and was found to be missing a bolt. I had another mechanic replace the motor mount. I'm now 60,000 miles down the road from that nightmare and the head gasket they put on with the timing belt is blown. The mechanic I'm using to replace the head gasket found they stripped the tensioner pulley bolt when they did the timing belt. I went int the NTB on S. Kingshighway in St Louis, told them about this. Their response is, "Well, it has been 60,000 Miles and the work was done by a professional." Nothing about these "mechanics" is professional.

I replaced my brakes at NTB Oct 10th. Here it is Mar 22 and after having another mechanic check them he stated that whoever replaced them put them on without using any lubrication causing them to wear out faster than they should have costing me an additional $250.00.

On 3/16/2017 I took my 2004 Buick Rainier in for a scheduled oil change and tire rotation. After my car was on the lift the manager took me back to see that the oil pan had moisture on it, and he could not do the oil change by company rules. He could check for the leak but I would be charged for the inspection. Nowhere in their advertisement is this stated that if they perceive an oil leak no oil change would be performed. If this is true it should be known upfront before customers waste their time going thru the effort to schedule and show up for work that won't be done. Their advertisement appears to be a come on to add additional work to the bill.

Took my 2005 Mercury Mountaineer in for scheduled oil change at 10:00, was there until 11:48. Got into my truck, check engine light was on, battery had been discontinued, had to reset my clocks. Did not leave the parking lot, went back in and they pull it round back and turn it off. Left there and went to the mall off the Parkway. When leaving, the mall later that evening, just got off at my exit madison Blvd, truck started ticking, and smoking. Check oil gauge, warning comes on, and looked at oil gauge, nothing. Did a system check, 6% oil life. Had to wait until Sun morning to call, NTB, had to have truck towed. There cost $15.00 out of pocket tow, truck completely covered under the bottom from oil. I was told, the person worked on my truck, forgot to put one of my pulls to my oil pan back in, I have two. My advice is do not go to this one. I will not go back here again.

My SO went to get an oil change at the Essen Lane NTB on Saturday March 4, 2017. Needless to say they charged him 220.32. WOW.... Yes they charged his debit card 9 times and the district manager as well as the manager just kind of blew it off. We are in the process of dealing with our bank now. Also they were very unprofessional and lied about what needed to be done on his car. We also got 4 new tires and they told him he would have to come back for an alignment, because the machine was broken. And did not replace the caps on his valve steam. It was absolutely the worst experience ever. We will not be going back to that location EVER...

Came at 5pm to get 4 new tires that had them in stock. There were 2 cars ahead and one was almost finished. Walked outside to see what was what and my car had been sitting inside 30 minutes before being touched. Now it's 7:01pm with 2 tires on and 2 to go with 2 employees back there looking like they are wore the ** out. Ridiculous wait time and didn't even offer anything to drink. Oh soda machine was not in view, it was in the back when you get so tired of sitting and start walking and find things that should have been offered or told were it was located. Unless you have eaten and done all your important errands first, do not make this your first stop.

They stole my tires and replaced one of the tires with broken crumbled glass and gel beads so I would have to come back only was in for oil change. l just brought the car off the lot and everything underneath was new and the tires were fairly new. Mr. Tire company found the glass and beads on my care tire. I will never go back there again ever. That was on my new car. They switched tires on my geo prizm as well tried to give them benefit of doubt. Do not trust them. And I will warn anyone I know about them.

I had gone to the NTB in College Station, Texas today, (2-27-2017). I had arrived around 9:30 am to get 2 new tires for my car. Ordered my tires and a wheel alignment. They had finished putting my tires on my car at 11:07 am, which was not too bad only having to wait 30 minutes. Then this is where I got frustrated. They move my car to the last bay in the shop to start the wheel alignment. They raise my car up to start the alignment. Right after that a Dodge Ram truck with a lift pulled into the next bay, right beside my car, that was getting a wheel alignment as well. The next thing I know my car is lowered back to the floor and they are working on the Dodge truck that came in after me.

The store manager told me the lift broke where my car was located and had to wait until the Dodge truck was finished first, then they could finish my car. So instead of getting done around 11:30 am. It was after 1 pm when I was walking out of NTB. The store manager did not offer me any type of discount or incentive for waiting 3.5 hours for my car, other than "we are sorry". I understand that things do happen. But I am individual who like to be informed when something happens. Not wait 45 minutes for an explanation. The first 2 times I went to NTB they put the new tires on the front and the old in the back. Today they left the old tires on the front and the new in the back. As I have been told they are to put new tires on the front every time. So every NTB does not follow the same procedures. After today I will not go back to NTB. All NTB needs to be consistent.

BAIT AND SWITCH. The worst company I have ever dealt with. I have dealt with NTB at 7 different locations. I own a fleet of 18 vehicles. Each location is practices scare tactics and bait and switch. Examples: Houston TX Store 1: "The front end of your vehicle is so bad, you may get into a serious car accident." Beaumont TX: "We won't warranty your alternator work until you spend another 550.00 installing valve cover gaskets." Houston TX Store 2: "Your engine needs rebuilt by our affiliate because there is oil gunk in the engine." Atlanta GA: "You need new tires because the front end is out of line." Each case was compared with the opinion of dealership ASC Certified Dealership Mechanics. Without exception NTB was making false statements. We will never go to this company again. Thieving bunch of crooks.

I have been a customer of NTB Jacksonville NC for awhile and I went to them for several oil changes and recently an alignment and a state inspection. I had an appointment and when I walked in no one was around to help, but then after about 10 mins I finally got my appointment looked at and the guy there looked at the screen where it clearly showed what my appointment was for and he asked what I needed done as if he couldn't tell, then kept asking what else I needed done as if I had to add additional services to my appointment before he would complete the inspection.

Very rude and when I asked questions after the services had been completed he beat around the bush and did not answer any of my questions and continued to point at the paper to sign and initial. Then he handed me the keys to my vehicle and the receipts and said "have a nice day" and walked away without even looking at me. I am never going to do business with NTB again in future and I would no longer recommend that anyone go to NTB for services.

I took my truck in for the 4wd not working correctly. They said they fixed it. Less than 2 days later it was broken doing the same thing it did when I took it in. Not only did they charge me 2000 dollars they didnt fix the problem. I took it back and they wanted to charge me another 2000 dollars to fix something else that they shouldve just fixed the first time. So I paid all that money for nothing and then told to go screw myself. I consider this theft and it should be illegal.

I went to the National Tire and Battery location in Saint Charles Illinois off of Main Street. This is the second time I've been to this location and been very disappointed. The first time I went to this particular location was for a set of tires, which ended up working out fine but customer service was horrible. The second time I made an appointment and walked in and the person working the front proceeded to ask me what model of car I had, which he would not let me answer. He just started naming off different models of cars. I then told him "why don't you ask me my name and what time at my appointment is since I gave you all this info at the time of me calling to book my appointment."

The next day after my new set of tires was placed on my SUV I was heading out on a road trip with my three-year-old in the car. While I was heading up North on the highway my car began to shake when I would hit 60 miles per hour (which was never a problem before) while this was happening to my car I was pretty much in the middle of nowhere with my child in the car so I didn't have anywhere to stop and have anyone check out what the problem was. I eventually reached my destination and had it checked by mechanic who proceeded to tell me my tires were cupping in the rear and I had two bad leaks in the front tires. Then the next day after that my tpms light came on.

I paid $600 for a new set of tires that almost immediately had something wrong with them. Not to mention dangerous driving conditions with my child in the car.

Normally I'm someone who is not afraid to speak up, but I'm so disgusted by what they did to my car and the fact that I spent my hard earned money (of which I don't have much) that I don't even know where to begin. I'm skipping the store and going straight to corporate, since the people in this particular location (not all of them) but definitely the man with dark hair up front is a complete moron! Stay away from NTB!

Was told I needed rear shocks. Rear axle seals replaced. I went to a reputable automotive repair business. They told me nothing was wrong with them: beware scam city DO NOT Use them.

If I could give these ** 0 stars I would. I recently bought 4 brand new COOPER DISCOVERER tires less than a month ago costing me around 700. Last night I had a blowout with my kids in the car for no apparent reason. No nail cut etc. Thinking that it's only been 26 days with these new tires and my warranty that they would replace it. I WAS WRONG!!!! They wanted to charge me 50 more dollars for installing on something that I had no fault in and 30 more dollars on a tire that already has a warranty!!! ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS. I WILL NEVER GO HERE AGAIN OR RECOMMEND ANYONE I KNOW TO GO HERE! I didn't even get a dollar a day use of that tire.

I regret myself for not checking the review for this company before getting screwed up. I got my SUV tires replaced last month at one of NTB location and I was told they will match price available at their website. I send them all proofs and they agreed to give me balance in check but what I receive was in some type of loyalty discounts which I'm going to mail them to keep themselves. The customer relation team is worse ever I had worked with. I must have called over 15 times to speak to the agent I was talking. Most of the time he is not available and other agents do not have access to the discussion we had. At the end they are telling me lie to save just $80 bucks. I don't think they are really looking for business. For sure I'm not going to see this company again in future. I'd happily go to any other place but NTB.

I ran over a nail and went to NTB for a quick tire patch. I booked an early morning appointment and I was out within an hour so I was satisfied with the timing. However, just a couple weeks later my tire light went on again and discovered that the same tire is leaking again. I went back to NTB to take a look and they said there was another nail. In the same tire. So I had to pay for the same service twice now within a month.

It's possible that I would have such bad luck that I did happen to run over a nail within a couple weeks with the same tire. It is also very possible that there were multiple nails and they just happen to miss the other. But something doesn't feel right. After reading many reviews of scamming within NTB I wouldn't be surprised if they did the same here. I won't be a returning customer and I have warned friends and family to avoid this place.

It started off at Merchant tires for a rear brake job on my 1996 Ford F-350 Diesel truck. Merchant screwed up so bad, the HQ for all these companies has already given me a return of 1/2 my money & up till today brakes worked fine. Now get this unloaded brakes work great. I loaded 1,000 lbs of salt in bed for traction, now rear brakes are rubbing & when I go to stop, brakes lock up or "left rear brakes lock up". Funny thing is my rear brakes are ABS, the exact problem I took it to Merchant's, then per HQ they set me up with NTB, warranty work to fix the problem. Well now the very problem I took it in for is now happening again, opposite wheel. This company is ** as hell.

I called before arriving and was told to come right in because they weren't busy. Checked in at 12:30 pm... around 2:30 I asked how much longer when I saw my car was still in the parking lot. I was told a few minutes. Then about 3:45 pm, I asked again about my vehicle, then the auto repairman pulls my car in the shop and comes to me about 4 pm saying they can't fix the problem (Almost 4 hours later) so then the cashier gives me a $13 discount for the delay only because I told him that the wait time was too long. Finally I leave at 4:30. I will never go here again, 4 hours later... just leaving the shop for a tire plug. Very bad service with little regard.

I went to get an oil change and wheel alignment done and by the time I left I was given an estimate of$1250.00 I came home and called the dealership and took my car there. I never needed struts. Like they said I did. The dealership did the wheel alignment and put a battery in for $294.16. I would not recommend this place to anyone, they try to get you for everything you have. If anything, NTB should pay for what the dealership did. I am a customer who is totally disgusted by what happened to me.

We had service on a 2008 Jeep Liberty which cost us over $700. The rotors and brake pads were to be replaced and some other things on the car were also done. We agreed to service and had all the work done that they said was necessary (as it was our daughter's car and she was taking it to school which was 3 hours from Pittsburgh). We took it today to Mr. Tire to have oil changed and checked over only to have them tell us that the brake pads were cracked and that they were not ceramic (which on the receipt from June said they were ceramic) but some cheaper version was place and had several cracks in them due to the poor work! They ripped another customer off!!! We expect whatever is listed on receipt is what is put in car and that was not the case!

We will NEVER EVER HAVE ANY OF OUR CARS OR COMPANY CARS THAT WE HAVE EVER SERVICED AGAIN BY NTB. Total rip off service! They know people don't have any idea what they actually put in our vehicles and they don't care. Well maybe now they will care as they lose our business as well as many others because of their dishonest business. I have the brake pads that were given to me and I will present them to NTB to let them know that they are not getting away with this anymore... We paid again to have new ceramic brake pads place in the Liberty by Mr. Tire...and I would never have them touch any of our vehicles EVER, EVER AGAIN. Really. Think before you take your vehicle to NTB. Not a good decision...

National Tire & Battery (NTB) Company Profile