National Tire & Battery

Compare Auto Service and Repair

Research top Auto Service and Repair recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

It started off at Merchant tires for a rear brake job on my 1996 Ford F-350 Diesel truck. Merchant screwed up so bad, the HQ for all these companies has already given me a return of 1/2 my money & up till today brakes worked fine. Now get this unloaded brakes work great. I loaded 1,000 lbs of salt in bed for traction, now rear brakes are rubbing & when I go to stop, brakes lock up or "left rear brakes lock up". Funny thing is my rear brakes are ABS, the exact problem I took it to Merchant's, then per HQ they set me up with NTB, warranty work to fix the problem. Well now the very problem I took it in for is now happening again, opposite wheel. This company is ** as hell.

I called before arriving and was told to come right in because they weren't busy. Checked in at 12:30 pm... around 2:30 I asked how much longer when I saw my car was still in the parking lot. I was told a few minutes. Then about 3:45 pm, I asked again about my vehicle, then the auto repairman pulls my car in the shop and comes to me about 4 pm saying they can't fix the problem (Almost 4 hours later) so then the cashier gives me a $13 discount for the delay only because I told him that the wait time was too long. Finally I leave at 4:30. I will never go here again, 4 hours later... just leaving the shop for a tire plug. Very bad service with little regard.

I went to get an oil change and wheel alignment done and by the time I left I was given an estimate of$1250.00 I came home and called the dealership and took my car there. I never needed struts. Like they said I did. The dealership did the wheel alignment and put a battery in for $294.16. I would not recommend this place to anyone, they try to get you for everything you have. If anything, NTB should pay for what the dealership did. I am a customer who is totally disgusted by what happened to me.

We had service on a 2008 Jeep Liberty which cost us over $700. The rotors and brake pads were to be replaced and some other things on the car were also done. We agreed to service and had all the work done that they said was necessary (as it was our daughter's car and she was taking it to school which was 3 hours from Pittsburgh). We took it today to Mr. Tire to have oil changed and checked over only to have them tell us that the brake pads were cracked and that they were not ceramic (which on the receipt from June said they were ceramic) but some cheaper version was place and had several cracks in them due to the poor work! They ripped another customer off!!! We expect whatever is listed on receipt is what is put in car and that was not the case!

We will NEVER EVER HAVE ANY OF OUR CARS OR COMPANY CARS THAT WE HAVE EVER SERVICED AGAIN BY NTB. Total rip off service! They know people don't have any idea what they actually put in our vehicles and they don't care. Well maybe now they will care as they lose our business as well as many others because of their dishonest business. I have the brake pads that were given to me and I will present them to NTB to let them know that they are not getting away with this anymore... We paid again to have new ceramic brake pads place in the Liberty by Mr. Tire...and I would never have them touch any of our vehicles EVER, EVER AGAIN. Really. Think before you take your vehicle to NTB. Not a good decision...

I got 4 tires mounted here on 12/23. The same day/night I started my car and the TPMS light was on and one tire was failing to read. I took it in today 12/26 and Adam proceeds to tell me the battery must of died and they did nothing wrong. What a coincidence. Bottom line, look at all the horrible reviews and spend your money somewhere else. I will never make this mistake again. Neither should you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about NTB Tires?

I made an appointment to get tires swapped on my 2003 Yukon today. The tires had only been used 1 year by my sister on her Dodge Ram - less than 20,000 miles - more than 1/2 the tread life left. My 18 year old son took the vehicle in for the tire swap - they told him they couldn't put tires on. Said they would call me. Since they had not, I called them. They proceeded to tell me the tires were "bald" in the center from over inflation and he needed a new set of tires. Quite ironic as the tires have over 1/2 the tread life remaining. Oh & by the way - they let him leave with the nearly bald 4 tires currently on the vehicle. Great service huh?

I called back a second time to tell them I looked at the tread again & they were clearly NOT bald in the center - the same gentlemen (who said he was a manager) said, "Well I said they were close to what is questionable." Very funny considering the 1st time I spoke to him he said the tire were bald in the center & "legally" he couldn't put them on the vehicle. I guess I know where NOT TO GO next time I need tires or anything service. It is so sad that we can't get honest service so many places in America today - thank goodness I am not just the normal uneducated customer. Good luck NTB of Champlin MN - you just lost service from any of my 4 vehicles and any of my family and friends in the area. No one likes a dishonest salesman!

Lady in front doesn't care about anyone, rude, yelled at customers, didn't answer phone, acted like she owned the business and told customers to turn around and walk out 'cause she didn't have time for their crap.

The worst experience ever. Went in on a flat (on rim) with the tires only being 1 1/2 years old. The assistant manager said it might be because my sensor (uhhh??? dumb**). Anyway...I told him I had replaced my sensor in January 2016, and asked for my print out. He refused to provided, and said "I CAN ONLY HELP YOU REGARDING THIS FLAT TIRE". I replied with..."well don't you think my year and half old tires have warranty, and not even a year old sensor?" He refused to provide that documentation as well...as we both got heated (BOTH PARTIES NEVER CURSED). He told me that he wouldn't service my car, keep in mind I was on the rim, then I told him his operation is a scam, and requested his superior info, he declined. I took my car to Discount Tire in Orland Park, IL ON RIM. They use your warranties but always charge you like it's a first time transaction. Be careful people. God bless.

Today I booked an appointment online at NTB in Palantine, Illinois on E Dundee Rd. for 12'o clock. I arrived at about 11:55 am. The customer service right away was horrible! The guy I spoke with (Bob) said my car should be ready at 2:30 - 3:00. I was only getting new tires put on and an oil change. It shouldn't take no longer than an hour if that. I knew the time line he provided was pretty strange, so I sat in the front to see when they took my car in. They did not take my car in until 2:00, and that's only after I confronted the store manager (Carlos) about how long I had been waiting, and why my car was still parked out front in the parking lot. Carlos was very rude, he showed no empathy for how long I had been waiting, but yet blamed it on the fact that I placed my order online.

I watched (huge window so you can see what is going on) my car finally get pulled in to be serviced. They started the oil change process. I then notice my car was sitting up in the air for maybe a half hour or so. I heard the manager (Carlos) tell another man that he had sent all the workers on break to eat. I was furious at this point because who sends all their staff on break when there are like 7 customers in the store who have been there for hours waiting on their car to be serviced. Finally the workers came back out, Carlos the store manager asked me to come over to see something, he showed me my rim and said it was cracked. The crack was very very tiny I could barely see it at all.

Then he told me he could not put the new tire on that rim and that he could get me a rim for over $200. At this point I was really upset, so I told Carlos to put my old tires back on and I'll just take my car somewhere else. Carlos then said "well we are going to charge you," I said for what? I said "I been here for 4 hours, and you want to charge me, that is crazy, you should be giving me a credit." He then told me "you know what I'll put the tires back on, and you can leave" and walked away. I told him he was an **, and then he started to square up with me to get ready to fight. One of the employees got in between the both of us, and a few others came over to pull him away. The employee who was in between us asked me what had happened, so I started to explain, and then we went into the waiting room so I can finish telling him.

Carlos then came into the waiting room while the other employee was trying to resolve the issue, and told the employee to get back to work. I then went outside to call the cops, because I felt I was really going to give this guy a serious ass whoopin, and someone needed to be there to prevent that. The cops did arrive, and I told them my side of the story, the whole time Carlos was just smiling with a grin on his face, but behind the officer so he could not see. I then went outside and waited for them to put my tires back on. As I say outside other customers came outside to talk to me, and to tell me how they thought I was going to really beat the guy up, and how he was so rude to them, and how long they had been waiting too.

One girl just came to get a tire refilled because it kept getting flat, and had been waiting up to 2 hours. My car finally came back up front in about 2 minutes, I had already been outside and it was about 15 degrees outside, and snowing. I notice my car had the spare tire on the back passenger side, and again I was furious that they did not put the rim and other tire on the car. The guy who brought the car around, apologize, and he was nice he told me that I should call corporate and file a complaint.

As he was telling me this Bob, the guy who took my information when I first arrived was standing at the door with it opened and told the employee to get back in because he heard what he was telling me. I asked him why he would tell him to get back in when he was only trying to help me out. I have never seen so many people complaining about the managers behavior and how long they had been waiting. Not minutes, not an hour, but hours for simple things to be put on or fixed. I will never ever go to another NTB in my life, they will never get any of my money.

I called their customer service line, to inquire about their buy 2, get 2 tire deal. Every tire I asked about was a joke in their deals. Sumitomo tires, which are originally $470 for 4, became $650 on the buy two get two deal. They say it is because of road hazard and 1 year alignment, but you can find the same deal with no discount from Sears, Walmart, and Firestone, and sometimes even less. They are not taking any money off the tires. They are just ripping you off for fun. Don't fall for it. Stay away from NTB and do your research before you buy!

I went to NTB, in Canal Winchester, Ohio. off of Gender Rd. after it was recommended by a place I had just got my oil change done. I knew I needed to have 2 tires checked for a slow leak (I was tired of paying to put air in every 2 weeks). I went in and talked to Nick who told me what it would possibly cost to do it, so I knew it needed done so I agreed. I went and ate while I waited and got a call from Nick telling me that upon inspection that my front brake calipers were sticking and needed to be replaced. I did know this ahead of time and had been putting it off... I knew at that time I did Not have the Money to do this and Nick suggested the NTB Card which I applied for and was Approved for a $500 dollar credit, which I was happy for. I asked how much the repair would be and the reply was "well it would be under the limit." Of course I said well o.k. and had it done.

O.k., so when I went in to pick up the car the Price for the service just happened to be $499 dollars... Kinda weird but ok. As I went home I looked further into the invoice and there was Nothing about the Tires, which is what I went there in the first place. So, I called and talked to Nick and asked him about it, and he stated that since I had the brake work done that they did Not charge me for that... which was Great. Then 3 days later I had to pay to Put AIR in the Tires that I Had Originally Gone in there FOR! Really? So I did call and set an Appointment for this weekend... I Guess I will See if They Try to Charge me For it. Hmm... Disappointed soo far is an Understatement!

I have gone to NTB tire on Kingshighway in St. Louis twice now. Both times your crew checked the wrong things. Both times to check a tire that had a nail in it and checked the wrong tire twice and then told me nothing was wrong with it. But yet tried to sell me something else. They did not check my tire. They brought it in, aired it up and said it was fixed and called me at 5 minutes to 8pm and said it was finished. This place is a joke and full of inept mechanics and sales people just looking for a sale. I do not recommend anyone go to this NTB tire. The manager yells to the salesman "don't tell the customer we can get to him. We have 10 cars now and 20 cars coming," yet he says "we can get you in and done today." WHAT A JOKE. THIS PLACE IS TERRIBLE.

I went to NTB for a wheel alignment on 11/18/2016. I've been there before (6 mo). Awhile later (20 min) the tech hands me my keys... At this time I'm showing the manager my previous print out from before and I tell the tech "well let's have the print out". He sees the old print out and groans. They "TRY" to get the printout to the printer (as said-3 times). When they cannot produce said print out, the tech shows me on HIS cell the results... (can send to cell but not the printer tells me something is wrong here.)

His cell phone results tell me this... the alignment is worse than when it came in! When I said, "Print that out", he said "I tried 3 times!" The alignment was worse than before he started (he thought I'd just pay and be on my way), worst mechanic in the world! I refused to pay. Didn't pay. Now I have problems I didn't have before. Took to my trusted shop and can't get in until after thanksgiving. How much tire wear will I get? How much to undo this damage? Thanks to NTB for a ** up job!

I am a frequent customer at this location 4700 Alliance Blvd. last summer. I spent a lot of money at this NTB revamping under the hood of my car and other stuff I needed to get done. Unfortunately, On November 15th, after waiting for 2 hours I was told by the sale attendant that they don't have a key to my tires. This is not my first time buying tires from NTB, every time I have ever purchased tires they always found keys to remove my tires. I found this to be very strange that this particular day they couldn't. As a matter of fact I was just there 2 weeks ago when I got a flat tire and they had no problem removing my tires then. So I'm inclined to believe perhaps the color of my skin had something to do with my experience, moving forward I don't plan on patronizing anymore NTB stores. This is downright wrong and unacceptable.

Simple oil change, nothing simple about it. First said the bolt was rounded off and about two hours later they said they couldn't get the bolt out or tightened back down and then said he needed new oil pan which cost $787. I think that is a ridiculous price.

I visited the Joliet Rd, Countryside IL to change oil and rotation. The manager said will not do because the tires are worn out. I went to a tire manufacturer. He check tires and write a letter the tires are good and safe. This the way NTB cheat you to sell new tires.

Went in today to get new tires for my son's car and get it inspected. They couldn't get the hub cap back on one of the tires. So they decided to try the spare in the trunk. One of the guys that was working on the car tossed the keys in the trunk and the other guy not knowing he did that shut the trunk locking the keys in the car. We waited for over 4 hours and couldn't get an answer on what they were going to do. They called a locksmith and he couldn't get it open. Everybody went into the office and shut the door. Didn't tell us what was going and the locksmith had to go into the office to get paid. Their credit card was declined and they had to pay him cash out of the register. Car is still in the building with the keys locked in the trunk. Suppose to have an automobile locksmith come in the morning. Called their corporate office and said someone would be call me in the next 72 hours.

I will never take a car there again. They all hid in the office like we were going to go away. The guy who threw the keys in the trunk had a smirk on his face like it was funny. My son just bought this car and it was his first car. So he only had one set of keys. They could have handled this a little more professional and not avoid us. They should have called an automobile locksmith. He paid his bill and went home because he works nights and he's been up for 24 hours already. They made him pay the whole bill. They didn't even knock anything off the bill. They had the car since 11:30 this morning for 4 new tires and an inspection. Never take your car there for anything.

Brb on hold road have me an estimate for brake pads, rotors and a serpentine belt... $856. Upon further reviewing a serpentine belt costs 20 bucks and takes less than 5 minutes to put on. They were charging me $100. A second estimate revealed all I needed was brake pads... $60 at advanced auto zone. So I bought the belt and the shoes for $80 and had a mechanic friend install them saving myself around $770. Buyer beware! Oh... I'm an elderly woman. Could this have been part of it?

The 1st visit to the Reynolda Rd store in Winston-Salem NC I arrived 30 minutes before closing and I was denied service. I then went to the Hanes Mall Blvd location and they took care of me. This visit today was only possible because Jiffy Lube could not get the oil plug off that was place by NTB. Now I had to revisit the North Point Blvd store to just get them to loosen the plug so I can return to Jiffy Lube for an oil change. I originally was just gonna have NTB take care of my oil change but once I walked in I was informed that they have no more openings for today for an oil change. He told me that I would need patience because I have to wait for them to loosen the plug. I'm very upset and will never come back to this location. The Hanes Mall Blvd location was very nice and the staff were friendly.

So I have been having suspension problems for about 3 months. My car wobbles back and forth when reaching a certain speed. The people there said it was a stabilizer bar and that the tires needed to be aligned. Turns out that wasn't even the issue. They ended up charging me 213 for everything. So once they were done, I drove it but my car drove the exact same way. So I brought it right back. Once they test drove it again they said it was a transmission issue which doesn't even sound right to me. What made things worst is that my stabilizer bar wasn't even bad.

They changed a whole part just because one side didn't have a bolt on it! Why not just find a bolt and screw it on!? That makes no sense and is extremely time consuming. And then my tires weren't even aligned right. So I made them refund me my money for the so called alignment. I would not recommend this company to anybody. Bad customer service, inexperienced workers, and even the manager had a bad attitude.

I visited the 2720 S Kirkwood Rd, Houston, TX 77077 location Saturday evening for a oil change. When I got home I saw oil in my driveway and called NTB to be assured they plugged it back. When I got up the next morning it was a heavy amount which prompted me to look below the car, and I saw it dripping. I called the same location and informed them that there was a issue, as now I can smell and see the oil so I did not want to drive it and risk damaging my motor. So they informed me I could visit the location nearest to me 12610 Southwest Fwy, Stafford, TX 77477.

When they put my car up to inspect it, all the workers gathered around because as soon as they lifted the car, oil went running everywhere. The filter was not placed back in the correct place, and they informed me that even though I just got the oil changed, it was completely empty already as it was just flowing out and they had to power wash the oil and re do the oil change as it is empty. This caused me to leave work for 3 1/2 hours while I waited for them to correct the issue.

This is unacceptable. If I PAY for a service, I expect it to be deemed as diligently performed and sought through. If they are that busy to where they have to rush through things, then they should have not taken any more customers. What if I did not notice the oil leaking? What if I were to go get on the road to visit my mother and my car broke down because there is NO oil and I blew my engine? Then what? This is unacceptable.

It is 102* here in Houston, and I am a mother. I should not have to be concerned about my car when I place it in the hands of a well know company to do their job. A simple oil change could have completely turned into thousands of dollars if my engine would have blew. This type of incompetency should not be tolerated. Not only did I have to leave work, on unpaid time, I had to sit at NTB for an additional 3 hours while they corrected their mistake! I am thankful that the 12610 Southwest Fwy, Stafford, TX 77477 was able to correct the issue, however I am completely irritated with the lack of training the workers received. Under no circumstances, should a filter be placed in the WRONG location and it not be capped back on. I understand mistakes happen, but not at the cost of a customer!!!

I had a very unpleasant experience with NTB. The customer service is horrible. I bought tires there years ago when it was still Merchants and had a bad experience with them. They lost my wheel lock key and they were very rude to me. Never went back there again. I was hoping when they changed to NTB they got better but unfortunately the service was just as bad. I bought new tires there at the beginning of the year and recently went back there for a tire rotation when they told me they couldn't find the wheel lock key. I told them that it must have happened there since they were the ones that put new tires on my car. They were rude about it and I had to get angry with them before they would agree to pay for a new wheel lock key. Their service is horrible and they're not taking good care of things over there. Will never go back there again.

I called and spoke to Chase because it was after 6 pm. I asked him, "Are you open?" He responded, "You would think," then he went on to say "If you're coming to get an oil change it's too late." I almost changed my mind of going there but because it was on my way I stopped by. To my surprise Chase was the manager and he was more rude in person. I got my quote and dashed out of there. They were very expensive so not only bad customer service but rude as well. I would never go back. It was a waste of my time. The order # don't look correct but I took a pic of it and it has the manager's name.

Well I drove like about 60 miles in company van to have oil changed that's who my company uses. I arrived there were only two people there myself and another lady. This was at 930 am. Didn't want to be too late, I looked over at the slots for work to be done. No one in the spot for oil change. Told guy what I wanted. He told mechanic. He comes out, ask what I want. I told him oil change for company van. I have company shirt on with the logo, also van has logo on both doors. I am professional. He says they only take oil changes by appointment only. I told him I wasn't aware of this. He ask do I want to schedule one. I says no.

There was no one there. Why come he couldn't change the oil? He looked at me like he didn't care. I called another location man. Said they don't have no rule as that, he just made it up, to bring van he would do it. I know racism still exist but I work just like them. Don't see his reason for not changing the oil. No one was there. I can't control the pigment of my skin. This is horrible. I felt really bad when I left. I am going to post this on social media and see how they like it Facebook, Instagram, Twitter here I come.

Took place in Atlanta, Ga, NTB ATL (John). He told my daughter to bring BMW X-5 2008, to replace tires 2 ea to another store so they can replace these 2 tires that were under warranty because they couldn't do the work. John said everything is still warranted, so I paid $583.00 for 2 tires. This took place in July 2016. Sept 2016, I got 1 check for $162.15 and No Other checks will be Issued. Total BS. 1-770-442-1127, district Mgr was gonna expedite it a lot sooner... Still no word on the rest of the money.

NTB installed Michelin Defender GRNX tires, warranty 80K miles. Toyota dealer and Sears inspected tread depth -- 4/32 for 4 tires after 38K miles driving. When I came to NTB to re-inspect my tires, because all tires I bought from them, they asked me a lot of question of rotating, balance, and alignment check, and I was told they have to do balance check and alignment check on my car before tire inspection. Even I showed them all my records from Toyota dealer has done for me every 5000 miles maintenance. But they don't accept them. Finally, I have been told my tires installed 3 years ago... I don't understand what they mean. Today, I read all reviews online and I understand how NTB do their service.

Called myrtle beach sc store about brake service on my lexus rx300, was quoted price of 134.96, when I arrived I presented a coupon for 25.00, was told they could not honor my coupon, because of price they had quoted, I feel this is a dishonest practice to get you in. Needless to say I did not have the service done. I'd rather pay a few dollars more and not play the bait and switch game. Won't go back and can't suggest anyone else to use this store, just glad I didn't give them coupon after receiving service.

Three hours after my 8:30 appointment I was told my truck was ready. I asked for print out on what was done, was told "forgot to do print out, have to put back on lift to do print out." I look they were working on it again I asked manager about print out, he said they were adjusting on my truck. I said "you told me it was ready, you just needed to do print out." They not only lied about it being ready they don't even know how to do wheel alignment. Will never do business with NTB again. One sorry outfit.

NTB pushes their one year wheel alignment on customers. If for any reason you need another alignment, say for front end work, the burden of proof is placed on the customer whether or not the one year alignment exists. NTB doesn't want to remind a customer of time remaining on the one year alignment. I was billed for yet another one year alignment even though I had over two months remaining on the first. The service manager sold a serpentine belt plus labor at an inflated rate. $78 for the belt, 0.8 hours labor. Perhaps $50 for a belt, 0.5 hours to install is more that reasonable. This was the cost at a local Nissan dealer. In the end, a week after the service, I noticed the old belt was still installed. The shop never did the work but billed me for it.

This happened at NTB #8779 at 13521 Madison Ave, Kansas City, MO 64145. 816-941-8888. I reported the ripoff to TBC Corp customer service email consumerrelations@tbccorp.com but received no reply at all. The shop did return the money but only after I returned with receipts to prove it. I think most customers would not catch the mistake. NTB would be happy to keep the money had I not asked for it to be returned. They also recommend service work that is not needed. I'm writing this review as a warning to others. For a national chain to behave this way speaks to their brand. NTB cannot be trusted. From the complaints I see on the internet I don't see how they can stay in business. For myself and my family and friends, I can never recommend NTB. They are not trustworthy.

My battery went dead. It has a 36 month free replacement warranty. The battery is 35 months old. They would NOT fully replace the battery. Offered me $19 credit. After a long argument they agreed to only charge me 1/2 price for the new battery. I have been a customer of NTB for over 25 years, buying countless tires and batteries, and having to replace some during a warranty period and never with a problem. This company are crooks.

National Tire & Battery (NTB) Company Profile