Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
National Tire & Battery (NTB)
3.47/5

National Tire & Battery

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

National Tire & Battery (NTB) Reviews

Original review: Aug. 24, 2019

I brought a Ford Edge 2011 to NTB for tires, and brakes. I paid the sum of $2222.44. My vehicle was not making noise. However, after nearly 4 hours, my vehicle was handed back to me. Few months later I start to hear a high pitch sound and took the vehicle into two Ford dealerships, they indicated the brakes were on right but looked like an inferior product. NTB claimed they placed the best disc brakes and rotors on the market. Then tried to sell me Springs. The noise is still there and I'm waiting over 3 hours for 4 tires to be rotated and balanced. NTB in Oak Lawn Illinois.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

I recently went to the NTB store located at 6405 Baltimore National Pike, Catonsville, MD, to get a wheel alignment. I have a five year alignment plan. I really went in to make an appointment, but the service person said that he would take it right away. I had been waiting about 45 minutes when the service person came into the waiting room to tell me that I needed 4 new tires and a front shock and strut assembly for a price of just over $1,000. I declined the service. He said that he would have my car completed and I could go. I waited another 45 minutes before I went to see what the hold-up was. I saw that my car was out of the shop and parked in front of the store. The service person was working with another customer. I waited approximately 30 minutes until he finished with that customer.

I was standing at the counter by this time. Instead of him coming to me, he started doing something else. I said to him, "Sir, I need to get out of here". He turned to me and said nastily, "I'm the only person working here". I asked him what was I waiting for because I wasn't buying anything. It was just a matter of him handing me my keys which he could have done at least 45 minutes ago. It would have only taken a few seconds. Also, on two occasions I have gone in for a prepaid alignment and was told that I needed other work and both times the price was in excess of $1000. I find this very suspicious. I've purchased several sets of tires from NTB over the years, but I will not be using them again.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

The shop manager was very disrespectful to me on the basis that I "don't understand anything." I wasn't even talking about anything mechanical, just stating that I heard a new noise. On speaker phone with my SO, the manager was disputing a factual event that had occurred - a bad sound that started the previous day right after NTB worked on the car. I witnessed this very clearly, and the manager or a mechanic could've witnessed it if he were willing to go on the test drive. We would have *insisted* that they witness it if they had disputed it when we first told them (right after our solo test drive the day before). But instead, they only disputed it the next day on the phone when my SO was asking what they had relayed to the district manager so far.

Since the shop manager seemed to be disputing something I very clearly witnessed, I chimed in (for the first and only time in the convo) to confirm we did in hear this new noise after they worked on it the day before. The manager snapped "MA'AM, I was talking to *HIM,* Can I talk to HIM again?" My SO told him that I have been affected by this too and that I was there at his request and welcome to speak up. The manager responded in a high condescending voice that "SURE, sure of course but she doesn't know what she's talking about and she doesn't understand anything or know about cars so you should just explain things to her but you're welcome to speak for her."

I don't have to know a THING about cars to know that my SO's car, which I've ridden in a million times, started making this new, unsettling noise directly after the last time NTB had worked on it! If their gut reaction to a woman's voice, regardless of what she was saying, was "you don't know anything, but a man can speak for you," I have to wonder how they treat their female customers who come in alone. I would never bring my own car here out of fear that they'd overcharge me as much as possible since "I don't know anything."

---- Also, I will leave the details to his own review (if he makes one), but in the course of this problem, my SO has spent $4700 here in the past month, and dozens of hours of our time. Some of that was for tires, but over $2k was to replace parts that mysteriously showed up "broken" right "after" NTB worked on the car (within hours). NTB didn't notice any of these "broken" parts the first two times they worked on it (maybe because they weren't broken until NTB worked on the car?). But once they pointed them out and told my SO they had to be replaced to fix the car to be safe to drive, he went ahead and paid up thinking there was no choice. The parts they replaced with the $2k made *no difference* in solving the issue. We don't have the car back yet but it sounds like it turned out to be one small cheap part that was causing the issue all along.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

I drive a lot of miles monthly and get my oil changed once a month. I've tried all the places, Tread Quarters, Walmart, etc and decided to try NTB. I went to the store located on Military Highway in Norfolk VA and upon entering I could feel in my gut it was going to be lackluster. One gentleman working the counter, trying to take phone calls and wait on the folks in line ahead of me, a manager finally popped up and was a bit brash to the woman in front of me, etc. I waited about an hour or so, and I can tell you that in the shop area there was a whole lot of lollygagging and slack jawing going on, a whole lot of walking around in circles, etc. It seems like a very disorganized place and needless to say I will be headed back to Firestone where I have found I get the best service and treatment. Very dissapoiñting experience.

Original review: July 6, 2019

I went in for four new tires and an alignment. Was quoted almost $800. I was told an hour for tires and an hour for alignment. Go back after an hour because they wanted to show me the ball joints and c arm needed replacing. Quoted almost 2,000 total. Car was finished two hours after this. I saw the ball joints and believe they did need to be replaced and was only disappointed after seeing the bill. They were charging almost $1,000 for labor. My car was there for a total of 3 hours!! I wish I got paid that hourly rate.

So when we questioned the labor fee we calculated that it should have been more like just under $700. The guy said we were paying more because the mechanic had 17 years experience. Still planning on calling back and demanding money back. There is 200-300 dollars not accounted for what they billed me. Highway robbery that they use a calculation saying the job should be 5.6 hours yet it was done in an hour. Very sad. They were already making money why the need to overbill so much more. Greedy!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about NTB Tires?

Original review: July 6, 2019

I went to this establishment to have a slow leak fixed before driving out of town. The manager of the store told me that I needed 4 tires and that one of the rims was bent and could not be fixed. He suggested that I replace it. I thought about it and purchased the 4 new tires and a brand new rim (total: $1,446). This was against my own gut feeling because I did the exact same thing less than two years ago. I was told at that time that the tires were all worn in the exact same places.

One day later I get in my car only to find a message that 2 of the 4 tires were low (one was at 23% and the other at 18%). I returned to the store for the manager to tell me that there was a crack in the rim (he says it was different from the first one). I am confused as to why they did not see that when they took all of the tires off the rims and replaced them. Why could they not see the problem while I was waiting to have the problem solved on the first visit (from 8:30 a.m.-2;50 p.m.). The manager told me that it most likely happened after I left the shop. He recommended a friend at another shop that he says could fix the tire. After all of the waiting (6 hours) and $1,446 later I still have a slow leak. The manager was not helpful and very defensive when I tried to explain the situation after I returned. Needless to say, I will not be returning to this establishment and hope that no one else has to be put through this disservice.

Original review: July 5, 2019

Went to get an oil change. Waited approx. 1hr and half on 05 merc.sable. I was refused device. NTB claimed I had oil leaks. I have no oil leaks. I just wanted an oil change. I check my oil regularly. No leaks. I will never go back.

Original review: July 5, 2019

So I accompanied a friend of mine who went in for the $20 oil change. He doesn’t know much, and I’m a DIYer so I didn’t want him to get taken advantage of. Scheduled an appointment for 5:30, they said they were running behind and it would be another 20 minutes. Not a big deal, while I was outside they asked if he needed anything else. He said just the tire rotation and top of the washer fluid, which is included free. The man at the service desk came out and told us that my friend needed tires. I said “I know they will eventually but they have 6/32nds”. I know cas. I just put them on a month ago. He got some used tires to save some money. And it just passed inspection, garage had the tread depths on the invoice. He said okay, and left it at that. They got the oil change done pretty quick. He paid and we left.

We stopped to get something to eat, so I took the time to check their work. I made marks on the tires so I would know if they were rotated. My marks were still there, my friend said, “Oh, when you were on a phone call they told me they couldn’t rotate the tires because they’re too bald and I’d need to get tires.” Are you kidding me?!?! 6/32nds is not bald. That was the reason we went to NTB, they offered the most for the price. They did the oil, new filter and topped off the washer fluid. But to lie so they didn’t have to rotate the tires is terrible. I had him bring it to my garage to do the rotation ourselves. Won’t be going back. They push you to buy things you don’t need and lie to get you to buy it. He won’t be going their for tires when he does in fact need them. Stay Away from NTB.

Original review: June 24, 2019

I thought I was going to a neighborhood auto service place. These friendly thugs stuck me up upon each visit. I started getting oil changes at this countryside location. I guess I wasn't spending enough money because after the first few times of my visit, my car that ran smoothly started to break down upon their voluntary estimates. They would charge $600 labor on a $100 part. I believe they damaged my car on purpose in order to keep me returning. As a woman uneducated about car repairs, they stuck me up $5000 over a two month period before I realized what was happening.

When I tried to contact their CORPORATE office and BBB, I quickly learned this location is an international business. Their office is overseas and does not respond. These heartless people cost me my job. My car is still down. We often wonder about high crime, well businesses like this one causes it. I know I'm feeling stressed about being taken advantage of, but I'll keep it legal. I gave a one star because I had to.

Original review: June 23, 2019

National Tire and Battery, 640 St Andrews Rd. Columbia, SC. I purchased 4 tires some time ago and with that purchase includes free tire rotation for the life of the tire. On multiple times I have tried to get an appointment, I am either told to come back or schedule online. When I schedule online, the first appointment the mechanics are late. I’m told to come back in two hours. The wait time is always an hour or more for any service. If you are posting hours of time that are available when someone books online, you need to make sure your mechanics are on time. The late mechanic excuse has been given to me on multiple occasions. I have prepaid for a service through the price of my tires, and I expect that service to be completed and timely. Poor customer service. Poor management. I have been a loyal customer for 20 years at this establishment but management you need to step up and provide better service to your patrons.

National Tire & Battery (NTB) Company Information