Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

24 NAPA AutoCare Center Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

2005 Chevy Equinox was overheating after driving 3-5 miles. I was told I needed a water pump & new spark plugs and wires & serpentine belt. Picked up car after repairs & it overheated after driving 3 miles. I noticed they never drove car after repairs. Returned car to garage. They called me later to say they think the radiator needs replaced but they didn't have equipment to flush or test radiator. I had car towed to another garage & they said the radiator was the problem. They replaced it and car runs fine now. Napa charged me $650 for repairs that did not repair car. To add insult to injury they charged me $300 for parts that were in stock that I could of bought for $139 right there. A $161 additional mark up on parts already marked up. Never again!

Original review: June 25, 2018

There is no shortage of parts stores near my home. Within 5 miles there is 3 O'Reilly Auto Parts stores, 2 Advance Auto Parts stores, 2 NAPAs and a Pep Boys. And within 10 miles there's probably 20 different parts stores. NAPA has EARNED itself to being an ABSOLUTE last resort for my parts needs. It doesn't matter which NAPA store I'm in, I walk in and am never greeted and will often stand there for 15 minutes before being greeted with "What do you want?" I walked into NAPA on several occasions and the guy at the counter is doing something on the computer with no customer in front of him and nobody on the phone... and he doesn't even look up and acknowledge I'm there for 10 minutes.

I understand that they need to fill order etc for local shops etc... but at least say "Hi, I'll be right with you" or something. That particular NAPA store recently went belly up. Good riddance! They never answer the phone at NAPA either. Seems to me that with so much local competition they would have made some sort of effort. Oh, and they give you the wrong part at least 50% of the time. Their slogan is "NAPA know how!" More like "NAPA's gone now" cause their stores are disappearing one by one all around the city. Lol.

Get expert buying tips about Auto Service and Repair delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

BEWARE!!! Dishonest crooks who took my money and did not fix my brakes as promised but created brake issues I did not have before. I took my car to them for service. I was BURNED and BAMBOOZLED by a dishonest business, Willard Garage. Willard Garage is just out to make money off of gullible customers. I believe, that Willard Garage is biased in their treatment of certain customers and does not treat every customer the same. Customers whom they feel are vulnerable and an easy mark, they take advantage of to make extra money. I think they are charlatans that charge ridiculous prices on car repairs.

I first took my car to Willard Garage on 06/29/17 because of problems when trying to start my car. Also asked them to service my brakes because I felt it was time for new brakes. Willard called me back with ‘other’ suggested repairs costing $1,473.51. I trusted them and took their word that my car needed these ‘other’ repairs so I had the additional suggested repairs done, paid for the repair services and picked up my car.

I had to take my car back to Willard Garage on 07/14/17 because, at highway speeds of 55-60 mph and above, my car would shake violently when I applied the brakes, and this was not happening before I took my car to Willard Garage. When I picked up my car, I was not charged for this repair. I drove my car for a few weeks and was still having the same issues. Wanting to see if it might be a tire issue, I took my car to Costco on 08/12/17 but having my tires rotated still did not fix the problem.

On 08/16/17, I took my car back to Willard Garage. Willard Garage then claimed that Costco was at fault for the problem due to improper torque of my tires. I went to Costco on 08/17/17 and filed a claim. The very next day on 08/18/17, I picked up my car from Willard Garage and was charged an additional $405.77 to fix the brake issues which should have been covered under the 24,000 miles/2 yr., warrantied NAPA auto parts for the original services performed.

Subsequently, Costco denied my claim saying they never had any such complaints from other customers because they have torque guidelines which they strictly adhere to for all cars serviced, foreign and domestic. I then took my car for a second opinion to All Pro Service Center who looked at the brakes and found that there was no way the problem could have been a tire torque issue. All Pro Service Center has been in business over 25 years and has six (6) locations in the Des Moines metro area.

I told Willard Garage I wanted my money back because Costco denied my claim because, after review, they found it was unfounded and I also paid for a second opinion from All Pro Service Center which also said it was not a tire torque issue but a brake service issue; therefore, it had to be due to faulty repair work by Willard Garage. The manager from All Pro Service Center even called Willard Garage to discuss their findings but Willard Garage still would not give me back the $405.77 I paid to fix the brake issues that they had caused in the first place.

I had Costco install new tires on my vehicle on 08/02/14 and have had my tires rotated on a regular basis and have never had any such braking issues. I also had brake service done on my car on 12/8/2015 by Acheson Auto Works and have never had any such braking issues. When I told Willard Garage that I feel I was wrongfully charged for corrective repairs that should have been covered under the original service warranty they refused to give me back the $405.77 I paid. He stated if I wanted my money back I would have to take him to court. I took Willard Garage to court. The judge ruled in favor of Willard Garage despite my solid evidence and the testimony of All Pro Service Center stating that my braking issues could not have been caused by improper torque of my tires by Costco Tire Center. I received no amount in reparation. My court case was ‘denied with prejudice’.

I feel the judge was biased because he did not make his decision based on the facts alone but made his decision just because the business owner stated he was in aviation for over 25 years, which has nothing to do with working on cars that do not fly, and his auto mechanics were ASE certified. Had I known I needed to give my work history and establish my character, I wouldn’t have bothered bringing a witness to court or present so much evidence. I just would have discussed my job experience.

Original review: June 7, 2017

The gentleman introduced himself and asked what I was looking for. I walked with him down an aisle where he pointed out what I was looking for. He asked me what my price range. He even showed me products that were cheaper but just as good as the name brand product I was buying. I really would have liked it if they could have installed the wiper blades I bought. I would gladly pay for this service if it were available in my local area.

Original review: June 6, 2017

I was greeted fairly quickly & was asked if I need help. I needed assistance finding what I needed, & the man who helped me was so helpful & patient and answered all my questions. Everything I needed was easy to find & in stock, so I didn’t have to place an order & make an extra trip. Excellent customer service towards a woman who needed extra help!! However, I think there should be 3 people on staff. When I was being helped, it took quite a bit of time and that made me feel somewhat anxious because there were other customers who needed help. Another staff member went outside with an elderly man to look at something under the hood, so both guys were busy. But overall, it was pleasantly easy & worthwhile.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about NAPA AutoCare Center?

Original review: June 5, 2017

I was looking for a specific, pretty generic part. They had it so I have no complaints. The salespeople were pleasant and were present when I needed to ask a question. However, I don't like that they are too corporate, too much advertising and the not as small town as I'm used to. It's close to my house though so I'm inclined to acquiesce to visit this establishment. Plus, prices within my budget. If I need a basic item, they generally have it. It is clean and organized, brightly lit, flashy and colorful.

Original review: June 4, 2017

Went in knowing what I needed, a part for my car but wasn't sure what type. The guy helped me find the exact part and saved me money and provide information on how to install. They were informative and helpful. Shopping went quick and easy. They ran a scanner on my car and told me what was wrong. It was more pricey than wanted but they were helpful and informative so was worth paying more.

Original review: June 3, 2017

They have affordable prices compared to other auto parts stores. They also have some things that is hard to find at other stores. I like to shop around for the best price. What is important to me is that the store employees are knowledgeable and will take the time to assist me with finding the parts I'm looking for as well as advise me on my purchase choice. But it was not as convenient to shop there as other stores because the other stores have more locations.

Original review: June 2, 2017

I absolutely love NAPA AutoCare! The time they take and the care they have for each and every customer is absolutely astounding. I've never seen anything less than exemplary work ethic from my NAPA employees. I had to figure out what was going on with my lights, an employee came out to my car, figured out how to take it all apart, figured out what size light and what not I needed and got everything together for me. He was so kind and went waayyy far out of his way to help me. I wish more people could have the encounter in car services that I have in dealing with your company, but I haven't seen too many NAPA auto parts stores around and it's not so very well known.

Original review: June 1, 2017

I went in to get my brakes switched out, because my old ones were bad. It was very very important that I got them fixed within the hour because I was on my lunch and had to head straight back to my workplace... They overcharged me for changing my brakes and completely screwed up!!! They also said my vehicle had a bunch of problems it did not have at all. I ended up catching an Uber home because it took them 3 days to switch my brakes!!! Changing breaks does not take a few days, I was very, very unhappy. This was a ridiculous experience for me and a waste of my time! I did not like it at all. Overall, the service here was mediocre at best. Everyone, including the lady at reception, was extremely rude. Never taking mine or my family's business here again.

Original review: May 31, 2017

When I owned my 1990 Plymouth Duster I went to NAPA Auto Parts to buy a battery and alternator. I spoke with a guy there and he was very helpful and treated me well. Their prices were very sufficient for the parts I needed that day. I in fact very much enjoyed my visit at NAPA Auto Parts. I told them what I needed and they didn't second guess me just because I was a girl.

Original review: May 30, 2017

The last few experiences I have had with Napa have been really good. I bought a new car battery there and some bearings for my back tire but I bought them at separate time and both times the service was great and made it a very easy purchase for me. They seemed to care even though I am a woman. However, I think they need to hire more counter people to help because there is usually a long wait for service. I’ve went into the store before when there are a lot of people waiting to be waited on and there is only 1 counter person working. And I don't like the smell, too. Also, they could get more things for women for their cars like pretty things in more vibrant colors.

Other than that, very nice service people, friendly and helpful with your purchases. They always try to get the right part the first time. They will exchange the part if it’s not right and they will check your battery and starter if you need them to. They will also give you a jump and loan you tools for the parking lot if you need them.

Original review: May 29, 2017

When I visit Napa Auto Parts and ask an employee what they would recommend, most of the time they won't need to open the book to find out. They are so knowledgeable in what they do and it's amazing! Every time I need to go Napa the employees also are very happy and seem as though they enjoy what they do. Although some of the pricing on some of the products are more expensive than what they should be... for example, a replacement light for an older 1980's/1990's vehicle. Other than that, I love visiting Napa Auto Parts.

Original review: May 28, 2017

The first time I visited Napa I was looking for brake pads for my car. I am not that knowledgeable about car parts and was not sure exactly what to expect. The guy behind the counter immediately greeted me and asked if he could be of help. I told him I needed some brake pads and he was very helpful in finding me exactly what I needed. He asked a couple questions about the make and model of my car and found me the pads I needed. He rang me up and was very friendly. All in all it took me ten minutes to get in the store and leave with the product I had come for. No hassles and a very fair price. I was pleasantly surprised about the whole transaction.

One of the things I like most about Napa is that it is very conveniently located near me. I don't have to go very far to get the auto parts I need. I like the people there and have always gotten good customer service. Every time I have been there the people working there have always been very helpful and attentive to my needs. They have helped me find exactly what I'm looking for and have also recommended me other products I had not considered before. I like that they have a variety of parts and accessories for my vehicle at fair prices and I don't have to go to multiple stores to get what I need. Most of the experiences I have at Napa have been very positive. At times the store is a little dirty but it is not excessive so it does not bother me too much.

Original review: May 26, 2017

They are nearby and it's easy to get to. The service was excellent and they had all parts I needed for the job I was doing on my car. I bought breaks and rotors and some break fluid. I also got a little etc stuff I could use. The parts are very very good. And they are well known. The prices could be a little less though. The store I go to could be a little newer looking and more friendly environment. The part counter could be more visible and the works more friendly. And I wish they would sell tires.

Original review: May 25, 2017

They have a convenient location, a good inventory of parts and knowledgeable staff. Never make me feel unintelligent and no question is too silly. Their hours are convenient and also open on weekends when most of my auto disasters occur. As a female even the smallest repairs are confusing. I needed windshield wipers and it's very hard to determine what size and type were needed but the staff helped me figure this out. They are always patient and helpful and explain fully all my questions or address my concerns. I would like the prices to be lowered, though.

Original review: May 24, 2017

The parts were great because they were really quite affordable and they had a wide variety of parts so I didn't have to worry that they wouldn't have what I needed for my vehicle since they have such a large selection. They did have everything in the stockroom that I needed in order to get my car running again which was really very great because it helped me not be stressed and I was able to get back on the road quickly. Everything was great. They were able to quickly locate which part number I needed and then send them out directly to the mechanic so I could get them to work on my car and fix it. I needed the part on Friday and it was here by Monday and fixed by Tuesday and I was back in business by Wednesday.

Original review: May 23, 2017

When I was able to live in a town that had Napa AutoCare Center I had excellent customer service. They had friendly workers who were experienced (older) and had a good knowledge on cars that they could help me with the automotive issues that I was having. If I ever had to come back for the same issue more than once they always helped me figure out the problem. They usually but not always had the parts I needed for my vehicle. I was pleased. But some of their automotive products the prices are higher than their competitors. Unlike some automotive stores they aren’t in every town or city so it is harder to stick with their brand and I think they should have them located in places other than larger towns and cities.

Original review: May 21, 2017

Overall, okay experience. I do feel as though there are more qualified and knowledgeable auto part & repair stores that may make better options. They did not have the parts that I needed every time I went there. And they should offer to match prices or beat them with other competitors.

Original review: May 20, 2017

I like the fact that they are close to my residence, and that the parts and accessories are always dependable and guaranteed. I also like the customer service. The people working there were very attentive, they were also very helpful and concerned about what I needed and they helped me obtain whatever I had to in order to get whatever I needed to get the job done. I have had nothing but good service and good experiences from this establishment, and would highly recommend them to my friends and everyone else.

Original review: May 19, 2017

The staff always seems knowledgeable and helpful with what I need so it reduces my stress from fixing my car. They are always reasonably priced and always have the products I need in stock. Replaced a car battery, they helped me not only find a good battery, at the price I wanted to pay, but also removed my old battery and installed the new one for me... Now that is great service! I wish they would hire more women, and it would reduce the intimidation for other women to approach and find what they need for their vehicle. And the cleanliness at the counter is pretty gross.

Original review: May 18, 2017

The people at NAPA are very knowledgeable and friendly. The staff is willing to go above and beyond what is asked of them. They have the products I need, or are able to get them quickly. The prices are reasonable. The customer service is great. But the NAPA stores in my area are run-down. I would shop at these stores more often if the store looked newer and were cleaner and more modern.

Original review: May 17, 2017

The employees are wicked friendly. They are knowledgeable and very informative. The waiting room is spacious and clean and inviting looking, makes waiting for my car repairs a bit more relaxing. The store usually has what I need. If not, they will order it and have it there within the day. The employees are friendly and we are on name basis. I enjoy seeing them every time I go in. I would like to see their hourly rates improve. Yes, I understand people need to make a living but charging $60 to $70 an hour is a bit much granted the work is always great quality but still.

Original review: May 16, 2017

I really like the professionalism and the quality of the parts as well as the employees were very well informed and in tune with what I needed for my Toyota Highlander and my Honda Accord. So that was useful and convenient. I would improve the prices and how they kept trying to sell me stuff which I had informed them specifically what I needed and didn't want ANYTHING else. But they pressed me for other things that I didn't want. It's like, "Okay, enough." But the customer service was good, the employees very knowledgeable which is good but I am a woman so they kept trying to sell me stuff that financially I wasn't really ready for and even though I explained that they still pushed me to do it which is really annoying in my eyes.

NAPA AutoCare Center expert review by Lauren Fix

NAPA is best known for its quality parts. Many stores offer NAPA AutoCare Centers repair facilities. Their ASE certified technicians can perform all types of maintenance, from routine maintenance to major repairs. NAPA offers a Nationwide Peace of Mind Warranty, which is backed by a 24 month, 24,000-mile warranty with coast-to-coast support.

• Repair estimator: If you want to be sure how much a repair will cost you, this estimator is a quick and easy way to get the cost for most common repairs.

• Know your vehicle: Know your vehicle offers information on preventive maintenance, which is the best way to make sure your vehicle is running properly.

• Nationwide warranty: A warranty is offered on parts and labor for qualifying repairs and services for 24 Months/24,000 Miles. Saving the receipts is important for any repair work.

• Best for: NAPA Auto Centers is best for commuters, parents, used car buyers, budget-conscious consumers, car enthusiasts and car owners with warranties.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

NAPA AutoCare Center Company Information