3.6/5 (2207 ratings)
Find a Car Brands partner

Ready for a new vehicle?

Take advantage of high trade in values today with Carvana!

Get your offer

About Honda

Honda is a Japanese auto maker that makes cars, SUVs, crossovers, minivans and trucks. Read reviews for their models:

Ready for a new vehicle?

Take advantage of high trade in values today with Carvana!

Get your offer

Honda Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Honda?

Original review: Feb. 6, 2023

I bought a 2022 Honda Ridgeline (new). One morning I woke up to see a puddle of water on the front passenger mat, luckily the mats were Weather Tech. Traced the water and it was coming from underneath the storage compartment. Took it to the dealer and they found the leak. Reported to Honda Corporate and they basically said, there is nothing we can do for you compensatory. Basically I bought a $45,000 vehicle and because of their lack of quality assurance they don't see it as a good gesture to even give as little as a gift card. Luckily the dealership fixed the issue, but the entire experience left a bad taste. Now this morning I saw some minor water drippage in my 2019 Honda Pilot Touring. Here we go again. What's up with Honda's Quality Assurance.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2023

Beware of purchasing a 2021 Honda Passport. When using my phone for any audio it randomly disconnects whether it’s connected via Bluetooth or USB. Seems like false advertisement to me! I went to the service dealer and contacted their main customer service department from the website and neither had an immediate solution. They both stated that they were aware that their cars were experiencing this issue and we had to wait for Honda to come out with an update. If only this could result in a discount on my car payments as one of my key criteria was function Bluetooth audio.

Get buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2022

I purchases a 2021 Honda CR-V in October of 2021 in CA for my daughter to use while she is at school in Texas. Shortly after purchasing the car she and I drove the car back to TX. The registration came due this year and required an emissions recall to be completed with proof mailed back to the CA DMV in order for the tags to be renewed. My daughter took the car to a Honda dealer in Texas and had an emissions recall completed. I mailed a copy of the work order stating an emissions recall had been performed to the CA DMV along with the registration renewal fees in late August. I was informed in mid October by the CA DMV that I had not met the recall requirements to receive the renewal.

On the CA DMV notification stating that the recall requirements were not met were instructions to call the CA ARB with questions. I called CA ARB and got a message that they don’t take calls and instructed to send an e-mail which I promptly did. I received a notice back from CA ARB that a “pink form” was required from Honda in order to complete the recall verification process and that the dealership would be able to assist. I called the Honda dealer I purchased the car from and spoke to a person in their service department who instructed me to contact American Honda about getting the verification notice.

I then called American Honda and opened up a case, thoroughly explaining the situation and have gotten absolutely nowhere. I have literally spent 2-3 hours on the phone with American Honda with one of their case workers telling me that the system shows the recall completed but they don’t have a form to supply to verify and use to mail to the CA DMV even though the fees have been paid to the DMV and American Honda says they show the recall being completed. Honda kept telling me this is a DMV issue... Well, it’s a recall issue that Honda is required to do and the DMV requires Honda to supply verification that it has been completed so that makes this a Honda issue with supplying the paperwork that they agreed to supply the customer to forward to the DMV.

The last call I received back from a different case worker at American Honda (it was escalated to a manager) was Friday afternoon and their position is that the car is in Texas and they have different smog requirements than CA and that the dealership in TX may not be certified to complete or properly perform the recall for CA (?) – I was told by the previous case worker that the recall had been completed according to their system. Their (Honda America) case worker manager’s suggested solution is that I go to Texas to register the car there and then bring it back to CA and re-register it in CA when my daughter finishes school. I guess that may sound reasonable to someone somewhere (?). CA ARB says that there is a pink form required from Honda to send to the CA DMV to handle this. Why can’t American Honda figure this out? Someone somewhere within Honda would have set up the recall program and have some knowledge on how to resolve the matter without having to change the state of registration.

In the meantime, the tags are now expired and the issue remains that I have purchased a $40,000 car from Honda that has an emissions recall and due to their inability to supply me with proof of completion or instruct the Honda dealer in Texas the necessary steps in completing the recall and it’s requirements to allow it to be registered. I am stuck with a vehicle I can’t register short of driving it 4,000 miles round trip to bring it to CA for a recall procedure or traveling to Texas myself so I can register it there.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2022

We are Robertino ** and Cristina **, and we bought through financing a Honda H-RV Model Year 2022, VIN: ** with few km less than 16,700 km on the odometer and maintained in excellent condition.

Short story facts: On Aug 5th, 2022, our vehicle had a catastrophic transmission failure on a flat road in Longo’s parking lot, which defeats the purpose buying a new car to avoid these kinds of situations. Our transmission is covered by warranty. Road-Sport Honda, Scarborough, did not provide a replacement vehicle. Moreover, they didn’t take responsibility for the failure; the representative of the dealership kept saying that they can do nothing, and everything is depending on Honda Canada, and kept repeating “It is a global shortage, and we can’t provide a loaner/rental car”. We were able to move the car to another dealership, Queensway, from which we promptly got a rental on September 8, 2022.

Three full months and a week passed and still we do not have a date when a transmission will be delivered to the dealership. The Dealership doesn’t know when the parts are coming, since Honda Canada is providing them, and they are under TBA status. We called 7 times Honda Canada Customer Relations and we got nowhere only variations on the following theme: “it is a global shortage of parts, and we can do nothing for you”, even two times I spoke with case manager Loren (case # **). When we asked for updates, we were told that there are not enough employees to provide this service and that the Dealership is first to be informed when the transmission will have a delivery date.

Our car it is in the same spot parked at the dealership for 14 weeks, would you think that the tires or the breaks are not affected? We got the rental car after 5 weeks, because we moved the car to a different dealership (Honda Queensway, thank you). We do not have the winter tires on the rental, we cannot go out of Ontario due to rental insurance policy, so we can’t honor the vacation we planned and paid. We can’t go over the border in US for Christmas shopping. We are diligent in to pay all our commitments such as car loan or insurance, but still, we do not have the car we are paying for.

We drive as rental a different SUV a Hyundai Tucson, which is expensive on gas, not quite an equivalent car. When we call Honda and ask when we will have the part, we are told you do not have a timeframe and you can do nothing for us, even when we proposed alternative solutions like gives us the money back or gives us a new car minus the tear and wear for this existent car or fix right away in the past 14 weeks.

We wrote three emails on Sept 19, 2022, and we were replied and told on the Sept 20, 2022, that is nothing to do when we asked for a date for delivery for the transmission or to be reimbursed since we feel like we got a lemon or to have a new car minus the wear and tear. When we wrote a reply to the Sept 20 Honda’s answer on Sept 26, 2022, we didn’t get any response. When we asked by phone why Alex on Sept 30, we were told that already we got a reply on our concerns on Sept 20 so no other follow up from Honda is needed.

"We can do nothing for you" is all we got from our efforts when we contacted Honda Canada. This is how you treat your customers? When you got a report saying we have a failure of a transmission after reaching over 16,600 km on a new Honda 2022, no bells are ringing? Why don’t you think of, "How can we get the trust of our customer by taking a transmission from the new cars line and quickly fix this and satisfy this existing customer, and potentially letting a future customer to wait a little bit"?

Details for this story: Current vehicle Location: Queensway Honda, Service Dept. History: On Aug 1st, 2022, while driving, we heard a metallic noise when I accelerated. On Tuesday August 2nd, 2022, I went to the dealership Road-Sport Honda, in Toronto-Scarborough from where I bought the car, to report the noise. I had expected them to check the vehicle, but instead I was scheduled an appointment for the 8th of August at 9:15am. (I have the email sent on Aug 2nd to prove it.) On Wednesday August 3rd, I went again since the noise was continuing. I thought if I went again and told them that I was in the VIP program and had the extended warranty, we would be successful in either having the appointment moved earlier or in checking the noise on the spot, however, nothing changed.

We did not use the car again until Friday August 5th when we went to do shopping at Longo’s on Laird, at which point the car broke down. Road-Sport Honda did not provide a replacement vehicle. Moreover, they didn’t take responsibility for the failure; the representative of the dealership kept saying that they can do nothing, and everything is depending on Honda Canada. It was extremely hard for them to believe that the car had a broken transmission, so they did not want to provide a loaner/rental car and we quote, they said: “It is a global shortage situation, and they cannot provide it”. We were able to move the car to another dealership, Queensway, from which we promptly got a rental on September 8, 2022.

We have been continuing to pay the biweekly payments and insurance for more than 6 weeks now and we still do not have a date for repair since the transmission has a status of TBA as the estimated delivery time. I called Honda Canada on Sep 09, 2022, and expressed my concern and a “case” was created, and I was told a case manager would call me back. I called back on the 12th of September, spoke with Angela, and at this time I was told that the case manager will call in 3-5 business days from my first call, and she has no news regarding the TBA status of the transmission. The case manager called on the 15th of Sep. 2022, Mr. Loren, and told me that my case is #**, and he has no updates regarding the date when the transmission will be sent to the dealership.

We didn’t feel was helped in any way with this call, with the creation of the case. On September 30, I spoke with Alex, and he told me that, "We can do nothing for you." On October 6, 2022, we spoke with Marge, and she told us that only the Dealer can tell us when, she doesn’t have any updates, same when we spoke with Maria on October 14,2022. On October 24 we spoke with Angela, she had no updates for us, we expressed our concerns and asked for Loren the case manager. We spoke then with Loren other than no news, nothing can be done, we got the advice to call every time when we got concerns and ask for him and that lately we less calls received probably because the parts are started to be received, but no promise for us.

We are wondering why this wasn’t already reported to you, Honda Canada, and a case made after 6 weeks with no solution for the critical failure occurred on a brand new car; so I had to call to have a case open; why I still having to wait another 5 business days to be called by Honda Canada case manager; why am I having these calls trying to solve this situation; why haven’t you contacted, concerned for me the customer, with a car under warranty with transmission broken?

We suggest that Honda Canada would improve the process by giving the Customers updates on status in cases such as mine when it is not a minor defect. All my friends are surprised too! We are extremely frustrated since we have only one car for the family. This is now the 3rd vehicle we have purchased from Honda and have been loyal customers. My 1st car I purchased from you was a Civic, then an H-RV M.Y. 2016 in perfect condition which was traded in for the H-RV 2022 for about $20,000; due to this development we have started to regret that we traded in. Friday morning, we were called by Honda Canada after 14 weeks. I will keep you posted with the results….

Kind Regards,

Robertino and Cristina **

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

BUYER BEWARE. Worst Customer service ever and the quality has obviously gone down hill. Bought a certified pre owned Honda Odyssey 2 years ago. Took it in for schedule maintenance (to the tune of $1300), and to have the power steering fluid checked because of a whirring sound. Was told the rack and pinion went bad. Total Anomaly. The mechanics had never seen a vehicle this young, with this few of miles have a rack go bad like this. The bumper to bumper warranty expired after 12 months, and it did not fall under the power train warranty. I submitted a claim to have it covered anyway and my case worker flat out told me that since I have "Only" had two Hondas, my claim was denied.

Not worth the price tag if parts will fail like this. ESPECIALLY considering we were in the middle of a pandemic and it was hardly used at all over that time. Now? I am taking what had been my dream car for the last 15 years to literally ANY OTHER car manufacturer and trading it in instead of paying ANOTHER $3,000 out of pocket to replace their faulty part. ANYONE else can fix it and get the money for it. I will never buy another Honda again, and I will warn everyone I come in contact with to totally avoid giving them their business. They do NOT stand behind their products and do NOT have decent customer service.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2022

My vehicle has been in the shop since March 2022 because Honda is in able of sending the required part.. In March they gave me a an April date of completion and every month is the same issue.. I have no vehicle to drive, I continue to make payments, continue to provide insurance and pay it for my vehicle to be sitting in a parking lot.. All I’m asking is to give me a loaner for me to use.. Honda should not be giving a date of completion if they are not going to keep their word.. I will not be dealing with Honda ever.. My vehicle to be in the shop going into a year this is unacceptable.. What happen to take care of our customer..

Original review: July 27, 2022

Ac completely stopped working at 34k miles, I purchased it brand new, 1 driver, and always garaged. Honda replaced the AC and covered it, but the quote to repair was $3700.00! Outrageous for a repair bill like that on a very low mileage car! The warranty on the new part is only 1 year, not good odds it will last.

Original review: July 21, 2022

Car hard idled and stuttered within 6 months of driving it new off the lot. Had it seen by 3 dealerships, they were unable to feel what I felt and did not fix the issue. Spoke to Honda directly and they also didn’t help. 4 years later, technician finally able to feel the issue but the vehicle is now conveniently outside of the warranty. Call Honda and they even more conveniently have no record of me contacting them years earlier. They can see the numerous times I’ve been to the dealerships for this same issue but claim it’s a different issue even though it’s the exact same symptom. They are unwilling to cover anything. They sold me a lemon. Do not buy Honda.

Original review: July 4, 2022

Purchased 2 Vehicles from Honda, their Vehicles are Not Compatible with the I Phone 12 and 13, Yet they continue to sell these vehicles without telling the consumers prior to purchasing. I have been back and forth and still haven’t resolved this issue to No Avail.

Original review: May 24, 2022

Every Honda car I've had/driven takes 40 years and a massive migraine just to hook up a functional Bluetooth (if that). You'd think with technology growing they could get with the times but no. They think since the car runs that's all they need. Then they think they're smart with stupid safety features like not being able to link up while driving. I have a passenger trying to connect and I can't even do that?! It's none of your business to tell, me what I can and can't do driving, especially when you can't even figure out a decent operating system. Would not recommend. Find yourself a Toyota or something.

Honda author review by Jonathan Trout

Honda has been around since 1946 and is known for making cars, aircraft, power equipment and motorcycles. It offers six kinds of motorcycles, including touring, sport, adventure, cruiser, dual sport and supersport models. Prices vary by motorcycle type and model but range from about $5,000 for a dual sport motorcycle to more than $150,000 for the top supersport model.

• Touring: Ready to hit the open road in comfort? Honda offers six models of touring motorcycles made for highway riding. Touring models come with 670 to 1832 cc liquid-cooled engines and a variety of features for the road. Plan your trip with a built-in Garmin navigation system, listen to some tunes with Sirius XM radio on a surround-sound system and enjoy heated seats. Prices range from $11,000 to $24,700.

• Adventure: Honda makes seven models of adventure motorcycles made for on- and off-road riding. You can start with a base model of adventure bike and build it however you’d like. Available accessories include a 12-volt electrical socket, a center stand, a motorcycle cover, heated grips and more. Prices range from about $5,000 to $16,000 for base models.

• Cruiser: Honda cruiser motorcycles are focused on style. Choose from one of 11 base models and build your perfect cruiser with accessories, colors and engine innovations. These bikes have a low seat-height and extra-wide rear tires. View a full list of customizable options on the Honda website. Cruiser motorcycles start at $4,400 and as much as t $25,000 for base models.

• Sport: If you’re into racing, Honda has more than 10 models of motorcycles designed for speed. Like other Honda bikes, you can choose a base model and build your own. Find a full list of accessories and performance features online. Choose from things like liquid-cooled V4 engines, adjustable rear suspension and traction control. Prices start at about $3,300 and top out at about $12,200 for the higher-end sport model.

• Shopping tools: Honda includes shopping tools on their website to make purchasing a motorcycle a little bit easier. There, you can browse current deals and apply for financing and credit preapproval.

by Jonathan Trout ConsumerAffairs Research Team