Honda

Compare Car Brands

Research top Car Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I bought a 2016 Honda Civic for its reliability, that didn't happen as planned. Within 4 months I had the factory radio swapped out and the problem returned. It will randomly beep and the dash would go blank. Now today I picked up the car after the service rep told me they have updated the car software and the radio unit as well. I asked them if they had tested it because usually problems occur after driving the car he stated they tested it for 2 hrs which turned out to be a lie. When I got the car today I was nearly killed because as soon as I drove off the lot the Vehicle Stability System light came on and the car started to decelerate as it thought it was losing traction. Then within seconds the brake system failure light came on, immediately the brakes began vibrating and I was unable to operate them while approaching a red light, ran the red light with no choice and then power steering system problem light came on. Then the steering wheel locked up.

So basically within 5 min off the lot my car was in motion and inoperable and not responding. Eventually the brakes came back after constantly hitting them but almost hit another vehicle in lot due to this issue. Biggest part of this complaint is that when I went back in the no one at the dealership took ownership of the problem and insisted they have done nothing wrong. Well obviously something has happened. They took the vehicle in and within 2 hrs called me back saying they fixed the issue, so I asked what the problem was and they stated that they do not know what the issue was but it is fixed. I am like how do you fix a problem that you do not even know. I asked service manager, who would be responsible if something happened to me or the car, he said he was not in a position to say anything or take financial responsibility. If they can't even trust their money on this car then how can I put my life in danger in this car.

I have always bought a Honda because of their resale value. This time I bought a used 2011 Honda Pilot - already had to replace the air condition, now the rotors had to be sanded down. Steering wheel begin to thump and had a lot of play took it in that said the steering column - Grease had dried up so they had to replace the grease $192.00. Now it needs shocks because they said they were leaking. I'm am driving a damn clunker. What's next? The Pilot is only 5 - years old. Honda want give you a discount. I wish I could get rid of it but still owe a lot of money on my clunker. That's what I call it when I go to the dealership. I don't think they like it but that's her name. CLUNKER.

If there's a prize for worst customer service it would be exclusively reserved to Honda Canada, they won't even bother investigating your complaint, never give a feedback, never care for a frustrated customer.

When I initially took my 2004 Honda in for the airbag recall, I was told that my airbag was fine. 6 months later I was hit at an intersection where the driver was going in excess of 45 MPH. My airbag did not deploy. Have you heard other similar concerns?

I purchased a used 2008 Honda Fit Sport in early 2014. Two years later, I began noticing that the red paint was fading, and has since faded quite a bit. I contacted American Honda Customer Service as there was actually a recall and extended warranty through 2014 on these vehicles since they skipped out entirely on the protective coat on the paint job. No one was ever notified of this recall or extended warranty. The people I spoke with at Customer Service completely shut me down saying that the warranty is no longer in effect and that my VIN number was not under those marked for recall, completely avoiding the actual issue. I called multiple times in attempt to reach a supervisor and was essentially denied that, and told that Honda would not admit fault nor do anything to resolve their own failure.

It was by far the worst Customer Service experience in my life. If they continue to wave away customer concerns and ignore customers in this way, then Honda will eventually not have any customers at all. I DO NOT recommend purchasing a Honda vehicle to anyone. DO NOT waste your money, because they do not care about you as a customer AT ALL.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Honda?

I have a 2007 Honda Pilot. In March, 2011 I had to replace two window since the window regulator broke. 3 months later, one of them broke again. Luckily, it was still under warranty from the first fix. But then another one broke, and I had to replace it also. Now fast forward to 2016. I have been thinking about replacing my 9 year old car, and of course, another window regulator now breaks. Talked to Honda, and they said it is not a known issue. Well, from looking online, it definitely is. There was a class action suit in California about this issue. Anyway, no help from Honda, and not much from the dealership. After complaining enough, I got the repair bill down from $394 to $295. I just want it fixed so I can get rid of it, and never, ever buy a Honda again!

I have a 2009 Honda Civic Coupe which lost a chunk of color from roof, hood and rear within 6 years. When I call Honda to fix this they say that my car does not have any recall or is not stated in the color campaign. Here's the link for the campaign notice information - **. Such a disgusting service from Honda. Will never ever suggest people and friends to buy car from Honda again. I will be suing Honda as they did not send me any recall or campaign information regarding this paint issue.

We have a 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L that leaks water inside the passenger compartment every time it rains. It leaks to the point where there has been standing water on the floor in the car. Spoke to American Honda and they basically told me "too bad so sad" that they had no responsibility to the problem. This is after the rep admitted that it is a design flaw with the car. How can it be our problem if they admit it is a design flaw in the car? They also told me the solution was we could not park it outside ever and that would solve the problem. Guess that means that we can't go anywhere ever again since most places have covered parking. He also said that if the paint goes bad it was our problem too for parking it outside.

I'm going to sum this up as quick as possible. We bought a car in January of 2016 and it started to smell in March. Well me and my girls got sick and this smell wouldn't go away. It was in everything and we had to get rid of a few things. So I took it into the dealership on 4/20 and they said they'd get it cleaned up and back to me... Well it's now 6/23... which is 6 months later and I still don't have my car! Yes there was a leak in the back that they couldn't find so they sealed up the whole back end. Then they found mold in multiple places, but I've had to fit the whole way. Customer service is horrible at the dealership and at Corporate.

We bought a 75,000 car! Brand new and we got sick! Mold can kill you. No one seemed to care, and all they do is pass the blame. No one ever returns calls or admits anything. They just blame someone else. And now they're not wanting to give us the full amount of our loan back?! I'm not losing any money from this! We did nothing wrong! We were sold a bad product that couldn't be fixed! And now Honda and the dealership are trying to jip us out of money?! We've been making payments even when we don't have the car?!!

I recently drove down to Florida to visit my sister in my 6 month old 2016 Honda Civic. Once I reached Orlando, all of my warning lights turned on and my car stalled. I had it towed to Holler Honda on Semoran Boulevard Thursday night. It is now Saturday MORNING and I have not heard anything regarding my car or even getting a loaner. I have called Holler Honda TEN TIMES within these two days and each time I've been placed on hold and transferred to a line where they are insistent on taking down my name and number to give me a callback. Unfortunately they never do call back. At this point I would love to leave that car that costs me $500 at the dealership since it's such a freaking headache!!

I have received 3 recall notices from Honda. The first one came in December 2015. The second came in March 2016. The third came in July 2016. I have called each time. I have not had nothing repaired. I have called and called since receiving the notice in July. I was promised someone would call me back. This was a empty promise. I have one vehicle. Yet I am told, let no one ride in the front passenger seat. Just think how many times someone has already rode in this seat. They told me that they would not be responsible, if someone got hurt. Since they suggest that you avoid having a passenger sit in the front passenger's seat until the recall repair has been performed, I have asked for another vehicle to drive until they get my car repaired. There has been nothing done about this either. I feel that I deserve an answer from someone.

I recently took my 2012 Fit into the Honda dealership as the air conditioning wasn't working and it was making a hissing noise. It turns out that there is corrosion between the compressor and the hose that connects to it. It will cost me over $1,000 to repair. How does a 4 year old car that is kept in a garage at home and in covered parking in the day get corrosion under the hood? One of the reasons I bought a new car at the time of purchase was so I would not have costly repairs anytime soon. Now I am looking at a $1,000 repair for something that in my opinion shouldn't happen in a car of this age.

Okay, I was a very, very firm believer in owning a Honda. My entire family literally is driving one or has owned one. Even a lot of my extended family and I always vouched for them when people asked about my car. After I found out about the recall in June of 2016, through my sister mind you, I immediately wondered why I was barely finding out about my airbag recall now when someone people had known months before. Later that day I went onto the website to punch in my VIN number and check to see if my vehicle was a part of the unlucky bunch. Unfortunately, it was and my passenger bag was the airbag up for recall. And it just so happens that my boyfriend's Honda, which is the same make and model as mine but a year newer, had the same passenger airbag recall as mine.

So I called to speak with someone. They gave me the same bit as everyone. "You can still drive it. Just don't have a passenger." But I did try to explain my boyfriend had the same problem and if we could just get one alternate transportation vehicle because we are not about to take two separate cars to the grocery store, out of town, or anywhere else that requires us to carpool. They just gave me some ** excuse that there was nothing they could do. For now I should avoid having anyone sit in the passenger side. They suggested I would be fine because my airbag shuts off when no one is in the passenger side and I tried to explain to them MANY, MANY times that my light doesn't turn on to indicate that my airbag is off and of course, same thing goes for my boyfriend's car. Of course, that made their ears perk up and I finally got their attention. Or so I thought.

Long story short, I called another 15 times, give or take. Every time I got the runaround and no one could help me. It's now the middle of August and someone has FINALLY returned my call regarding this and wouldn't you know it, I've been denied alternate transportation and they will just order me the part to have my car repaired. Who knows when that will even be. Of course, I may have to pay out of pocket for the defective off switch on the airbag so that was some GREAT news to hear.

Regardless, fixing my passenger airbag off switch doesn't fix my problem at all. Both me and my boyfriend have the same car with the same problem. We live together and have NO other means of transportation when we run errands or go out of town. The fact that Honda is just going to take a chance with mine or my boyfriend's life is just remarkable. Thank you Honda for showing me your true colors. I will NEVER, EVER purchase another Honda again and I don't plan to refer people to your business. I do plan to tell people of my experience with your company and how you've handled this recall. My recommendation, don't buy a Honda. Avoid, at all costs, purchasing a Honda. Worst customer service of the year. Honda, you are all cowards and I hope you get what's coming to you.

Something needs to be done about Honda's defective STARTERS, Like a recall. I purchased my 2014 "Certified" Honda EX from you guys last year. The car was very new. Only 18,000 miles on it. I just had to have my car which has 50,000 miles on it towed! I had to rent a car till this is fixed. This is inexcusable. I bought a HONDA for their known reliability and 0 mechanical issues. This is my 5th and most expensive Honda and I barely got 1 year out of the car for a VERY expensive fix. I did not take it to a dealer because I knew they would rake me over the coals on expense. I did request my mechanic buy a HONDA starter, not some knock off brand. We shall see if this starter works.

I spoke to customer service at Honda USA in Calif. and they told me they were unaware of this issue. Go online. You will see HUNDREDS of complaints regarding bad starters! I am requesting compensation on this cost either from Wild Honda or from Honda USA. You guys are selling new cars with DEFECTIVE STARTERS in them. This must stop or you will have a class action lawsuit on your hands. I am requesting a call back from Honda USA on this issue.

I received this notice from Honda with this warning on my 2009 Accord V6. They said the parts "will be available in late Summer/Fall 2016". They have an advisory to "avoid having a passenger sit in the front passenger's seat until the recall repair has been performed". However, they make no mention of the driver's side airbag. I am sure the warning applies to both but they don't mention that. One, they should be honest about driving the car until it is repaired and two, they should also do it as soon as possible, and three, make arrangements for the owners to have a safe car to drive until it can be repaired.

Honda allowed car rentals for the driver side airbag recall due to exploding metal fragments injuring and killing individuals. It states in the recall that it can do that to the driver and others in the cab. Honda will not allow car rentals for the passenger side airbags and tell you just to not seat in the passenger seat. It has been asked of Honda if there was a chance that it might deploy if hit in front of car. No answer. I then ask American Honda Customer Service to send me something in writing that it will not deploy and I am not gambling with hurting myself or others in the back seat. They will not.

I called Russell Honda in North Little Rock, AR and I am told that they could not sign anything either because he was not sure or that it could be possible that the sensor could be signaled. Then you start the customer service case manager and they put you to the fast track and never hear from them again and no answers. So I am to gamble and drive my vehicle until that part comes in and cross my fingers. I am not a good gambler. So Honda I believe needs to stand up and be responsible and allow for loaner cars until they fix this problem.

When I bought my Honda CRV I leased for the first time and after 3 months I paid the car off early. I sent in what I needed for the title and I have called 5 times regarding where it is. I was told it was mailed out a few weeks ago and if I don't receive it I will have to pay $60.00 to get another shipped out. First of all I didn't know about all the sale tax I had to pay, plus I just paid my car off after three months! I think I had 12 Hondas since 1999. I feel I shouldn't have to deal with all the stress to get a title plus I am a good customer. I am so upset and I don't have the time to deal with all this. Once again I do what I'm suppose to do and now I'm stuck!

After reading an article about airbag recalls I decided to check online on July 5, 2016 to see if there were any recalls on my 2011 Honda pilot and there were none. Imagine my surprise when I received a passenger side airbag recall on July 19, 2016 telling me not to let anyone ride in the front passenger seat due to faulty airbag. This was a form letter that was dated July 2016. (They didn't know about this on July 5th??) I immediately called customer service to question this and also how long it may take to fix it. I spoke to 5 different people including 2 supervisors and was given a case number while they reviewed the problem. Two days later I was told by a case worker that my request for alternate transportation was denied because I had a three seat vehicle and my passengers could ride in the rear seats.

I explained that I often carry large items (which is why I bought the vehicle) and that most of the time the rear seats are not available for passengers. I also stated that after paying $40,000 for the vehicle I was now being told that I could not use 20% of it. I was also told that she would mark my case as urgent but that was all she could do. Now I have limited use of my vehicle for the next 2 + months. I had recently been talking to the local dealer about buying another new Honda but will have to rethink it. I find this totally unacceptable and will be talking to NHTSA.

Honda SCAM. I received authorization (case # **) to rent a vehicle due to driver side airbag recall on my 2007 Honda Ridgeline. Honda would pay up to $35 per day for the rental. I was told by Honda that all I needed to receive reimbursement was a copy of the contract and a paid receipt. I furnished the necessary paperwork but Honda refused to pay.

The Honda handler “Gary” stated the receipt was might have been for some item other than for the vehicle rental. I asked to speak with his manager and he said that ain’t going to happen!! I had the manager of the company that rented the vehicle, NeSmith Chevy Buick & GMS in Jesup, GA fax more proof of the rental contract and receipt but Honda still refuses to pay. It appears to me that after multiple attempts to get reimbursement that Honda is indeed not going to reimburse me for the vehicle rental for a total of $378.00 including tax. I assume that it is Honda policy to scam as many people as it can to help with the airbag expense.

For the last two days I have been on the phone with Honda Customer Service trying to get a loaner vehicle until the replacement airbags involved with the recall come in. I was just told it could be a week or more before "Honda" made a decision to approve a loaner vehicle for my wife and I. Their advice was to have my wife ride in the back seat for a couple of months till the new airbags were available (unbelievable)!!! This is a very serious issue as the airbag could explode, even without any vehicle impact, and send metal fragments flying into the passenger compartment. Very disappointed with the lack of concern expressed by Honda and their disregard for the safety of their customers.

Received a recall for the passenger side airbag of our 2006 Honda Pilot. We called right away only to be told that it would be another two months to have the problem repaired. We were also told not to allow anybody to ride in the front passenger seat until the problem is resolved. We bought our Pilot because of the seating. Now we can't use it in the manner we desire? For two months? Why? We were also told it could explode without any impact. So, I'm not supposed to allow a passenger in the front seat and that the airbag could go off without any warning. How safe do we feel... not very.

Even barring the fact that there should be no passenger in the front, what good would that do if we're driving along and the thing blows up on its own, on the freeway perhaps. So they do not think what a fright that would cause and the ensuing crash from being scared out of our wits. What kind of world do we live in that we don't at least get a loaner car to save our lives, and those around us from a dangerous situation and is the government aware that by allowing car companies such a long time to fix the car what a dangerous situation for those around us?

Almost killed a driver getting off the freeway as the master cylinder on my Honda failed: the brake pedal went right smack to the floor. Tried to pump the pedal to no avail and then tried the emergency brake but shockingly nothing worked. Rammed right into the Prius in front of me. My last Honda the master cylinder also failed but I lucked out in that pumping of the pedal worked and I was able to get it home for the mechanic to take care. Heard Honda doesn't care that you could lose several lives because the master cylinder died on you.

The steering on my Honda hybrid failed while driving 55mph. When the car was taken to dealer in Eugene, we were told Honda was aware of this problem but had not notified anyone. They refused to pay for repair because they said mileage over warranty - a warranty they never informed us about. Their explanation is that if you bring auto in with steering issue, then they would inform you of the issue. So in other words - your steering has to fail and perhaps almost get you killed, which is what happened here - before they let you know it's a known issue. NEVER BUY HONDA AGAIN.

The 2008 Honda Fit had problems from the get go, beginning with the Honda Fit stalling while in motion. Service Dealer in Rancho charged me over 500+ and said it was an unknown problem not A Recall. However, these cars were announced in the Media with this Stalling Issue. The car "FIT" has an electrical problem and will not run. Dealer claims it is was cause by the driver? Fee 2,400 for part - does not include labor. Should I continue? Whatever happens to the Helpful Honda folks? They used my money to buy gifts for other folks. My other 2010 FIT run okay, but Honda Services in poor. No more Hondas for the ** Clan.

I own 2 Honda Pilots. A 2005 and a 2011. I've had the oil dipsticks get stuck on both vehicles. I faithfully change the oil every 3000 miles and always check the dipstick in between changes. I have put oil on the rubber O rings at the top of the dipstick and it still gets stuck. On my 2011 Honda Pilot, the dipstick broke off and some of it is still stuck down in the filler tube. Honda knows they have a problem with these dipsticks getting stuck and offers no solution or a replacement dipstick that won't get stuck. Now Honda's poorly designed dipstick is going to cost me money to drop the oil pan to remove the dipstick. Find a solution Honda!!

Today I called and talked to American Honda. I'll start off with saying the worst customer service ever. They don't even offer to help you. They just apologize 10,000 times and then want to go about their way. My car isn't covered under the warranty for paint. For reasons I don't even understand. I have an '09 Civic. The paint is starting to deteriorate. It looks like someone literally took a scrub brush to my car and is in the beginning stages of my paint chalking. This is a 7-year-old car. I've seen cars that are 15 years old that have better paint jobs than mine and they have been untouched.

The only okay thing about my Honda is that it hasn't broken down on the side of the road yet. American Honda is the biggest joke of a company and so unwilling to help people. The issue needs to be pushed. My car is Crystal Black Pearl. I know it's one of the color codes accepted for the repaint but my VIN isn't under the warranty nor did I get a letter. (I am not the original owner of this car.) I'm more than displeased. They look cheaper and cheaper every year.

I leased a brand new 2016 Honda Odyssey in Oct 2015. Since then I have returned for service numerous times to 1) replace an ignition coil; 2) replace the battery two (2) times (4 additional times it needed to be jumped); and 3) repair of seat warmers. These have represented more than mere inconvenience. Most rational people would say this car is a "lemon". Aside from one month lease payment, Honda America dismisses these problems as simply the result of mass production. My representative repeats the same scripted response each and every time I call them.

To add insult to injury, I used Honda Roadside assistance, asking them to send a tow truck. What arrived was an old Neon with its side view mirror dangling off and obvious accident damage to the vehicle, with cables that could not reach from his vehicle to mine. Totally ludicrous!! They do not stand behind their products; they lie; provide shoddy products and services; and most alarmingly, dismissed me and my concerns as a consumer. Beware of their tactics and think twice about investing in a Honda. The Honda brand is not what it once was.

I have a Honda Civic 2009. The paint started to crack and peel from two years ago. The peeling and cracking is now everywhere on the car. It was a shame everywhere I went in these two years. Since I bought the car used, I thought the car was repainted because of an accident. However, I recently searched online and found out that this is a widespread problem for various Honda models!!! I called Honda customer service and was told that because my car is just out of warranty (for twenty days) the repaint job should be done on my own expense, no matter the problem was persistent for last two years. Putting aside how much shame and discomfort this car has brought for me in these years, I was shocked how rude and irresponsible they are in dealing with their loyal customers.

My suggestion to you all my friends is: NEVER go for Honda for your new car! Compared to the value and respect other automotive manufacturers like Toyota, etc would provide, it is crazy to invest your money on a car that brings discomfort for you when the company also refuses to take responsibility for their defective products.

I bought this car because I wanted Quality, reliability and pride of ownership. Honda has lost the word Quality, Reliability and pride of ownership. They are living in the past! Cheap Brake pads (rotors being turned at 18,000 miles, 4 brake jobs before 60,000 miles). Excess consumption of oil in engine. Spark plugs needed to be replaced every 5,000 miles. Short Block was replaced, Then the Heads were replaced, then all the parts in the short block were replaced. Comes to find out I had a cracked head seal. When they removed the heads they dented the fender walls on the two front fenders which had to be repaired. One morning I went to work and the transmission would not get out of second and then it would not get out of park in the middle of an intersection.

I loved this car and took a long time and money to make sure I got what I want. I finally got rid of the car because no one in my family trusted it and did not want to drive it. The GM of the dealership called me one day and said that they had over $12,500 worth of repairs in the car. He asked me if I wanted to trade it in. I was at that dealership twice a week getting rentals so they could try and get this fixed. HONDA stood silent.

Really- would you buy another Honda, I did trade it in and bought a Camry. I drive 75 miles a day to work on the Highway and Honda could not handle that. Do not always believe what you read. MY son owns a 1997 Camry with 230,000 and runs better than the 2008 Honda Accord. Go to ** and you will see what I'm talking about. It has been 6 month since I owned the Honda and I'm still very agree, Because Honda did nothing. They do not care. They are living in the past and people are paying a higher price for a car that has issues. This is just one story and I have learned my lesson. Happy Travels.

I have a 2009 Honda Fit Sport model painted in "blue sensation". Over the past year I have seen a huge deterioration in the clear coat. What started out as just little specks peeling has now mushroomed into large grey/white splotches like a foggy film and patches that have completely delaminated. This started well before the car was 6 years old but I was not really aware what was going on when it first appeared. I contacted my local Honda dealer, Santa Barbara Honda where the service manager, Scott, handled my complaint regarding the peeling clear coat and paint. He contacted American Honda Corp who agreed to A 60/40 split of the damage estimate to repaint the affected areas. At a total cost of $3500 this works out to about $2100 for them and $1400 that I would have to pay. I am in no way satisfied with this. So I just went back and talked with the dealer again who will contact Honda corp. and relay my dissatisfaction.

He said they could do anything from rescind their offer to pay for it fully. I am not ready to give up and let them win. Too many people have had to deal with this paint and clear coat delaminating issue and is an obvious defect that should be covered by the recall. Since my car model and year was not covered in a previous recall, the recall needs to be extended to some of the newer cars that are showing up with the same problem. I will say that I feel my local dealer has been very helpful and has worked to try to remedy the situation although, as he says, it is American Honda corp who makes the final decision and at this point it is on a case by case basis. I urge anyone else who has not had their paint problem taken care of to go through as many channels as possible to get satisfaction. Small claims court could be an option. I am including photos... one taken October 2015 and the other 2 taken April 2016 showing the deterioration.

Honda Company Profile