3.3/5 (1403 ratings)

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

Good Sam Roadside Assistance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Good Sam Roadside Assistance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Good Sam Roadside Assistance?

Original review: Sept. 6, 2021

We had a flat tire on our 30 foot RV and didn’t have the right tools to change it ourselves so we called Good Sam Roadside. After telling her way too much information that had nothing to do with a flat tire she placed me on hold. After another 5 minutes on hold she asked some of the same questions. After paying over $200 on my credit card I received 4 text saying, "We are still working to secure service for your vehicle." This is now 45 minutes on a busy highway. We called a local company ourselves and 20 minutes later and 1/2 the cost we were back on the road. I called Good Sam to cancel and they still hadn’t “secured” service. Even after I repeated the information on the first phone call more than once it was still wrong. We will not be renewing our Good Sam membership.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2021

I called them to tow my car. It's on the 10 Freeway. It's been over 5 hours. I have no clue what time they will provide the service. This is my 4th eta. They are keep giving false eta. Terrible service. I don't know how I ended up buying their service.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

I have been a Good Sam member for several years. After my policy renewed automatically on August 23, I received a letter dated August 25 explaining that my membership had been cancelled. The letter explained that Good Sam "makes assumptions pertaining to the average costs associated with individual memberships and from time to time memberships are cancelled where individual member costs significantly exceed those averages." Good Sam Roadside Assistance cancelled my policy because they said the cost of my membership "significantly exceeded those averages."

So...they couldn't have made that decision BEFORE charging my debit card???? Now I am waiting for a pro-rated refund that will take 4 weeks. This is unacceptable! Good Sam Roadside Assistance claims they provide service but if you use it, they cancel you! And worse, they charge you and then make the decision to cancel. And so I wait to be reimbursed. Horrible business practice.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2021

Riddle: What do you call people depending on help from Good Sam? Answer: STRANDED. I have needed assistance/towed twice with no results either time. I was stuck on the interstate with pick-up and 30 foot travel trailer about 6:00 pm. After being on the phone for a long time giving a lot of info, etc the woman was asking more questions about my location. I gave the closest town and the exit number where I was etc. I finally said "should I call a tow truck. You sound like you might not be able to help me". Her response was "well not today". (By this time it was getting dark.) I asked for her name and or employee number and she hung up on me. I called a tow truck and paid for it myself.

My other issue was on a Sunday about 1:30 pm long time on phone giving info. Then long time waiting for a callback. Finally got a callback from someone with a bad cutting out phone asking about what motor was in my truck. His phone quit and I never got called back. Somewhere about 4:00 I gave up and dealt with it myself. A lot of money I should not have spent. I thought I HAD insurance, I sure paid for it. Good Sam SUCKS! Can you tell I'm frustrated and angry?

Original review: Aug. 11, 2021

I purchased the most expensive package Good Scam offered for my wife and daughters. Within a year we used the towing service three times. Each time we were charged anywhere from $30 to $50 dollars for tows that were supposed to be free. Good scam has since canceled our policy stating that we exceeded the average usage. The policy was to cover four people and it was used three times. This is hardly excessive usage. Good scam should be put out of business. Do yourself a favor and avoid this company.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2021

I gave up AAA for Good Sam. Big mistake. I been waiting here since 10am for a tow truck. It’s now 2:40 pm. Called about 8 times. Each time the truck is 15 mins away. Now it’s 6 mins away. Then the ad I saw when I bought said 500 miles. Today when I call for tow, it’s 9 miles unless it’s being towed to a certified shop. Then it’s unlimited. WTF?

I waited almost 5 hours in 98 degree weather. The first time I used them my ignition went out less than a mile from home. I waited nearly 2 hour only for my be truck to never show. Didn’t answer calls from me or Good Sam. So they had to call a different provider. Meaning I had to wait even longer. Good Sam is a joke. They tow you where they want. You don’t go to just any dentist, doctor, etc. So if you want to take your car to your regular mechanic, you crap out of luck. Because they show there is a certified shop .5 miles away. That’s where you have to go. Otherwise you have to pay for your tow. Very misleading advertising. First I was told I had 9 miles free. Then I was told I only had 4 miles free. Just all the way ad everywhere. I give them a negative 1000 with a moldy cherry on top. AAA I’m on my way back…

Original review: Aug. 9, 2021

So we broke down in Portland in our RV on a side road. We called roadside assistance for a tow or help they keep telling us there's no mechanic in the area there's no trucks in the area. The alternator went out. That's it. I just need somebody to come out with the impact gun, take the pulley off, so I can put on the new one. I will give this no stars because they've been given us go around and we need help or I've been on the phone with them for over an hour waiting for customer service or they will call us back and they never do.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2021

Marcus at Good Sam/camping world posts signs. IF YOU'RE NOT HAPPY, I'M NOT HAPPY. CALL MY OFFICE. Not happening. "We are experiencing high than usual call volume, please wait or call back". So I sent an email. No response. So we broke down towing a 2020 Montana in south Pennsylvania. Called in our platinum top tier tow coverage. Long story condensed...six hours to get confirmed tow trucks en route. So my contract says all vehicles covered. It is after all RV towing coverage. Good Sam uses a third party conglomerate service named Agero posing as good Sam FYI. They have no clue about good Sam coverage. We were told we could have a tow company but the camper was covered but not the truck.

Three times operators put us on hold to check with supervisors who confirmed BOTH vehicles were covered. In the end the excuse was, no tow dispatch could happen without credit card payment to good Sam of $191.00 and if we refused they would cancel our tow. We were promised a receipt for both tows so we could submit a claim since Agero agreed we shouldn't have to pay but the computer made us. Three days on with dispatch and no receipt was received. So we paid. We have since called Marcus' office. Good Sam customer service and submitted a claim online. Claim said 4-6 weeks for review. Almost instantly got a denial for failure to submit a receipt even though I included pictures of email conversations we had with Agero saying they sent the receipt but it never came and they didn't know why.

So currently in addition to having the top tier towing coverage, good Sam held us hostage over a $191 charge illegally. And as stated, save your breath getting any satisfaction out of customer service. The one rep we spoke with agreed based on our contract we shouldn't have had to pay anything but still no resolve from good Sam. Tow operator found it comical we had to pay also and said he never heard of such an arrangement.

Summary...we did get towed but not until we were extorted for more money. But if you get stuck and think good Sam will bail you out....think again. They might, but not without a bunch of nonsense. And be aware that good Sam is not good Sam, but a third party company. My advice I am doing. I'm keeping good Sam, but also buying AAA RV ultimate. I'll have both. Good luck to those who unfortunately break down and have to use good Sam.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2021

Do not trust Good Sam for roadside assistance, On 08.05.2021 we contacted Good Sam roadside assistance at 7:30 PM needing to schedule a tow. Tyrhonda took the call and stated it would take approximately 60 minutes to be picked up. At 8:30 Pm we received a text message stating it would be another 60 minutes before the tow truck driver would arrive. Good Sam provided the tow companies phone number and at 9:30 Pm I contacted Matt at Torch Towing. Matt stated they could not dispatch a tow truck until Good Sam paid for the tow. Torch Towing and Good Sam had exchanged several emails but a payment was never called in. I attempted to contact Good Sam roadside assistance again and got a recording stating they were closed for the evening and to call back tomorrow. WTF? I call Torch Towing directly and paid the $170.56 out of pocket.

At 7:00 am I contact Good Sam Club and spoke to one of their CSR reps who stated they in fact are open 24/7 which is not true. The CSR rep said I would have to log into my account and file a claim. I then attempted to log into my account which now is not recognized by Good Sam. In closing after several years of being signed up with Good Sam, the 1 call I made for roadside assistance left us stranded for over 3 hours and no one will take ownership or assist us with filing the claim. Progressive has roadside assistance for only a couple of dollars a year and is partnered up with AAA. Shame on you Good Sam. You and your team suck **.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2021

This is the second time this happened to me. I live in south west Florida and own a Ford F450 Super Duty dually pick up. The first time I broke down, called for assistance, and sat on the side of the road for 2 hours in 108 degree heat and no tow showed up. I called back. They told me the tow company told them they could not do the tow because they did not have a truck heavy enough to tow my truck, which I understood. The problem was nobody called a second company to do the tow and nobody could be bothered to let me know what was going on. After 5 hours a tow truck did show up.

Now just the other day my truck broke down again and I was parked in at Walmart parking lot. And after 2 days I did not hear from the dealership regarding the repair they said my truck was not there. So I called Good Sam and they said my file showed that the tow company told them they could not do the tow because they did not have a truck to tow mine. Again nobody could follow up with me and they did not bother to call a second company. After 3 days a second company was called and a truck is on its way to pick it up. I would of hoped that when somebody calls, when the make and model of the vehicle to be towed is entered a list pops up showing who can provide the needed assistance so this problem does not continue. It would also save on doing double or even triple processing of a request for assistance.

Original review: July 29, 2021

Claim#1 tire change- they dispatched someone 11/2 hours away who didn’t have tools. Had to find my own guy. Claim #2 broke down and needed a tow. Called to open claim but told them I wanted to get my own tow truck. Was told go ahead and send claim for reimbursement. Did so and they denied it because I didn’t let them dispatch it. Called to see if they wanted my business and reconsider their decision. They did not so I cancelled everything I had with them.

Original review: July 26, 2021

Had a broken leaf spring in Daytona by swamp at 7:30 PM and called for assistance. The operator did not understand the problem or how to deal with it. They stated they could tow me to a Walmart or Cracker Barrel and I told them my truck was fine and if it could be towed I would not be calling them. Then she mentioned a flat bed and I told her it was a 13 foot tall 5th wheel and it had to be loaded with a truck and it could not be moved without at least having some temporary repairs and asked if there was a mobile mechanic available.

Long story short after speaking with a supervisor I realized I was on my own as they were clueless. At 4AM I received a call stating a wrecker was on the way but would not be there until 7 AM. 9AM it finally showed and by then parts were on the way and I just had them tow me to the the hotel we checked into at midnight. I purchased 3600 dollars worth of insurance covering all possible scenarios according to the Good Sam Agent and none of it helped. 14 hours for a wrecker to show up, no mobile mechanic to make temporary repairs and get me out of the swamp and 2 more miles to my reserved campground and did not even pick up the hotel tab as stated when I bought the policy because "the damage was not a result of an accident".

Original review: July 21, 2021

Good luck getting them to even answer the phone much less actually show up. Last summer in Florida I had a blow out and paid out of pocket because they would not call back and said I was on my own finding a tow and tire repair. Same problem this year in Jacksonville. Had the blow out yesterday about 4PM. It took 4 hours to even get a call back. Against my better judgement, I agreed. to make a long story short: they didn't have my tires, but would have them by 7:30 in the morning, so I stayed in a hotel. It is now almost 12:00PM and I'm still waiting for a call back. Save your money they are totally incompetent.

Original review: July 19, 2021

Got stuck in a small ditch on a severe sloped gravel drive. Called Good Sam Roadside assistance. I was in Angel Fire, NM. They contacted a towing company in Taos (across a major mountain pass). The towing company was reasonably prompt but informed me that Good Sam only covered a portion of their fee (a little over 2/3) and I owed the remainder. Of course there are towing companies local but Good Sam elected not to call them. When the tow company showed up, I commented that it seemed strange that Good Sam didn’t, in contrast to their stated policy, cover the whole cost. The operators reaction? Get AAA RV roadside assistance, they actually cover what they claim. Done with Good Sam. They are now 2 for 2 in poor service.

Original review: July 15, 2021

I broke down on the side of the interstate on June 11 while towing my camper. I was in my local area, so I contacted Good Sam Roadside assistance. I advised them that I was in my local area, and asked if I could call my regular mechanic, since he had a mobile service. I was told I could call him, I would just need to pay him and then submit for reimbursement and they would not pay for parts. So I called him and he provided service got me up and running. I submitted the bill for 250 for the road side service to good sam. They denied it stating that I had to call and use their mechanic, I could only use my own mechanic if they could not find me assistance in a proper amount of time. Well, I did call, and they gave me the okay to call my mechanic. They have denied this twice now, with very detailed explanations of what happened. So I have called and they are supposed to be reviewing, AGAIN.

Original review: July 9, 2021

Good Sam is very difficult to deal with. They really only cover items similar to what your auto/RV insurance provider would/could provide. So best to just stay with your insurance provider and add coverage as needed. Good Sam focuses on tire incidents, towing, fuel delivery. If you have a breakdown they only cover the fix if a mobile mechanic completes the repair. Their network of mobile mechanics is very very poor. Coupled with the fact that most RV repair shops are over booked, if you find a Good Sam approved mobile mechanic they probably won't bother to take your case.

This happened in two separate incidents on a recent trip. I was forced to limp by travel trailer into a local shop which made time to look at my issue. Good Sam informed me that they would reimburse the cost, but when I called them back after the fix they declined my claim because I actually went into a physical shop rather than wait for a non-existent mobile mechanic. Save yourself the headache. Let Good Sam go the way of the irrelevant AAA.

Original review: July 9, 2021

Based off of their website I purchased a membership for 3 years of roadside assistance. The site claims "We pay 100% of towing fees to the nearest service center - no matter if it's 5 or 500 miles away" and "No pre-set mileage restrictions or dollar limits." However they do not tell you that it has to be the service center THEY choose, even if it not suitable to work on your car. If you choose your own service center, they want more money. Three times I had to get supervisors to override the extra charges to tow to the suitable repair facility. All of the tows were UNDER 5 miles. When I called to get a refund of the over 2 years of membership I prepaid, they refused because they said I had used the service already. So prepaying for 2 extra years was a waste of money since they will not give it back.

Original review: June 28, 2021

We have been Good Sam members for over 5 years. We had to call them for the first time 2 days ago to replace our fifth wheel batteries. We were told they didn’t have any mobile mechanics available! What?!!! Then 2 days later we are now on the side of the road with a blown out tire that ripped through our water line and some wiring under the trailer. Call Good Sam and we’re AGAIN told they have no mobile mechanics available. This membership is worthless. Save your money!

Original review: June 26, 2021

Updated on 06/28/2021: Here is another horrible experience with Good Sam doing absolutely nothing to tow our bus. We started this endeavor on Tuesday with constantly calling to check on the tow, each and every time having to give them the same ** data. Finally at 8:30pm a tow truck arrived and within 10 minutes he stated that he cannot tow this bus and abruptly left...no explanation as to why. So Saturday rolls around and we have another tow lined up at 8:30 at night, but the tow truck never showed, so we rescheduled for Sunday morning.

As usual we started calling to check on the tow and much to our surprise, the tow fell through. So by now we have been talking directly to the Tow Truck service by calling/texting/emailing. Interesting response as to why one provider would not show up and I quote from their email. "Good afternoon, We have a payment dispute with the insurance company (Good Sam). They have not sent full payment over. We have called them multiple times and have had no success in getting through to the payment department. You are 180 miles from us. It would take him 3-4 hours to get to you. I do apologize. The phone number they gave us for you is disconnected. Can you provide an updated phone number please?" To top it off, they could not even give the tow service our actual number. DO NOT PURCHASE NO MATTER HOW GOOD YOU THINK IT IS!!!

Original Review: Good Sam is the most worthless roadside assistance out there. DO NOT BUY!!! Today is Saturday and we still have not been towed since our initial call on Tuesday. They try to get you to give up by constantly asking you the same questions and NEVER calling you back. Today started at 8am, it is 6:41pm now and we are no closer to a tow than we were yesterday, or the day before, or the day before.

Original review: June 22, 2021

DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE! I waited over 1.5 hours for a tire change. The tech put the donut spare on the front passenger side and left before seeing if it would work. Once I started driving the wheel slipped and the acceleration stopped. I had to get it towed to my house as it was a weekend and nobody was open. I called for service the next day to have them put the spare on the back wheel and they never showed up. Customer service was horrible and they refused to refund my membership fee.

Original review: June 15, 2021

We have been with Good Sam's Roadside Assistance for quite a while. Thankfully we haven't used them much, two times prior to this last episode. Our truck (pulling a 5th wheel) broke down on Interstate 74. My husband was able to get off the edge of the rode, barely. I called Good Sam's at 10:00 a.m. Throughout the day I spoke to five different people, lengthy conversations. I kept being told that help was on the way. When nobody would show up, that's when I would call again. I have no idea what on earth was going on, but the tow trucks weren't set out to us until after 9:00 p.m., arriving at our location at 11:30 p.m. The only good thing from an otherwise horrible situation was how great the tow truck drivers were. I have no idea why we kept getting a runaround from Sam's, but there is absolutely no excuse for us to have to sit beside the side of a very busy interstate for 13 1/2 hours. Extremely disappointed!!

Original review: June 15, 2021

I signed out with the roadside assistance less than a year ago. I had to do a service call on a couple of my vehicles. Keep in mind when I first signed that I asked the representative how many vehicles am I able to call for in the distance. I was told a limited. Now I have a red flag on my account with them and they will be canceling my service with them. With the last service call I waited 4 hours after the tow truck company kept passing me. Now they’re telling me that I don’t get my reimbursement for the rest of the four years that I have left with them because all my service trips was waived.

Original review: June 15, 2021

Great job Good Sam! It’s now 24 hours since your 24-hour emergency service ABANDONED US IN THE DESERT. IT WAS 100 DEGREES. Still no help. Maybe someone will come and find our bones at some point? By the way, 24 hour service is a joke! We kept trying to call and be in contact. Your 24 hour service CLOSED at 9 pm last night!!! RIP OFF!!! REFUND PLEASE!!!

Original review: June 12, 2021

Had my car towed 5 miles and had to pay an additional $40 for the service. Spoke to a representative after the fact to see why I was charged the additional charge when it was only 5 miles away and was told I was wrongly charged, but that I had to submit in writing a request for a refund. Just received the letter saying it was denied. Could've paid $60 to have it towed, without having to pay the additional membership costs. Also had to wait 2 hours for the tow truck to arrive. The whole process was inconvenient. Had to call in, then while on the phone with the representative, had to log in on my phone to submit all the information online. It was fine if you just need a jump, but save your money on their membership and just buy one of those jump start boxes and do that yourself. I immediately canceled my membership and joined AAA.

Resolution response: June 7, 2021

After I wrote this review. I called Good Sam again. The service rep. got right to work in solving my issue. That was 2 days ago (Saturday). Today (Monday) I got a call 1st thing this morning from Good Sam telling me they had arranged to pick up my RV and tow it to the first Truck repair place it was originally supposed to go to. Needless to say I was impressed. The tow is supposed to happen today. While this has been tough to deal with, at least Good Sam is making an effort to correct the mistakes that were made. I'll update this review if a monkey wrench gets thrown into this new arrangement. I do want to thank Good Sam for this follow up.

Original review: June 5, 2021

I don't know where to begin. My Motorhome broke down 3 weeks ago in the middle of nowhere. I have the unlimited mileage package to a place that will repair it. I found a truck repair shop and Good Sam first agreed to tow it there, then refused. They said they found another place closer. It has been at that place 3 weeks and it is not an RV/Truck repair shop. That place just looked at it yesterday (after 3 weeks!). I'll have to pay to tow it to a Truck repair, 90 miles away. Good Sam Roadside assistance is a Joke! I spent over 5 hours on the phone with different customer service representatives while broken down. How does this service give me peace of mind? (It doesn't.) I am still in disbelief over this entire incident. I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone.

Original review: June 2, 2021

We got Good Sam RV and Roadside Assistance about 6 weeks ago. This morning my daughter got locked out of her running car in Tacoma, WA. I told her to call Good Sam Roadside Assistance. She was told the wait time would be 55-85 minutes. I called because that is not an acceptable amount of time since she's in Tacoma, not in the middle of nowhere. They told me that the company was having problems getting a driver and said they would be there in 30 minutes, which would have been an hour after the call was put in. I called again after 90 minutes after she put in the call. I was told it was going to be another 15 minutes. When they finally showed up 110 minutes after her call, the guy said they had just gotten the call. My guess is they had to switch companies. So my daughter missed over 2 hours of work.

Original review: May 30, 2021

Going Camping with my RV on May 24, 2021, I had a blowout on the 5th wheel 6 miles from Scottsdale AZ. at 10:06 am. Called Good Sam Roadside Assistance to get help to install spare tire. They said I would hear back from someone as soon as help was arranged. I received 3 text messages over the next hour saying they were sorry for the delay. I called back and they said they could not find a service provider but would keep trying. Finally I received a text from a towing company saying they would be there in 2 hours.

After another hour and a half I called the towing company and they said that Good Sam never really authorized them and so they could not respond. I called Good Sam and they seemed very confused and the lady said she could not help. It had to be a supervisor. Finally talked to a supervisory and he got it straightened out. At 4 pm the tow truck arrived to change the tire. Over 5 hours waiting in Arizona heat just about put me over the edge. The Tow Truck driver that came said Good Sam screws it up a lot and recommended AAA which I used to have and never had an issue.

Original review: May 26, 2021

I have been a member of Good Sam for a few years and have used their service 3-4 different times. Each time, it has been way more frustrating than it needs to be. You call them and the first thing they ask is, "Where are you?" I am holding a phone with a GPS built in, and I have to explain to them verbally where I am. They discontinued their mobile app instead of using it as the means of communicating with them. I SHOULD be able to go to their app (that no longer exists), hit a button calling for help, and have them TELL ME where I am. (The Uber driver knows what airport door I am standing at!)

I should be able to track the tow truck driver coming to me (like I can track my groceries coming via Insta-Cart). When I was charged automatically to renew, I went to the website to cancel. No way to cancel on the website. The "contact us" button returned an error. I called the number for "assistance" and waited several minutes because "all our operators are busy." To their credit, I was finally able to talk to someone and cancel.

It COULD be so good, with the right technology, but the execution is so poor. They need to hire that "Profit" guy to come in and overhaul their entire business. (In case you don't know, he happens to be the CEO of Good Sam. Amazing, huh.) A service like this needs to be easy to use. It needs to have tracking built in. It needs to make use of the common technology that would make it great.

Instead, Good Sam is stuck in a time warp, using phones and verbal directions (when you blow a tire on the interstate, you generally have no idea what town you are technically in or where you are, unless you happen to be right next to a mile marker.) Oh, and once you join, they will continue to charge your credit card year after year after year until you explicitly cancel. I even changed credit card numbers after losing my card, but they figured out how to charge the new one.

Original review: May 22, 2021

I cancelled the service after a year. They kept charging my credit card and acted like I never cancelled it. Completely unbelievable company! Do they think people don't check their credit card statements or something.

Original review: April 29, 2021

I just wanted to make everyone aware...Please do NOT accept a membership with Good Sam Roadside Assistance! On 4/15/21, we were headed to the mountains, on vacation on 1-65N, when we had a tire blow out on our motorhome. We were on the side of the interstate and I mean close. I immediately called the GS number at 2:10pm and was told by Gordon that they would dispatch a tire service out of Montgomery (which was 14 miles) from us and it would be approximately (up to) 90 minutes but no more than. No one ever reached out to us.

After an hour and 45 minutes I called back to the GS number and spoke to Kyle and he said he would see what was going on and call me back. He didn’t call me back! So after sitting there 2-1/2 hours, I called back and got Gordon again. Well, he put me on hold and after 5 minutes or more, he came back to the phone and said it was going to be another 90 minutes!

At that point, I told him to cancel the order and the $418.26 (had already been charged to my credit card) for the new tire and service. Well, that took 3 days to get credited to my cc. As soon as we got home from vacation, needless to say I canceled my roadside platinum complete. Yes, they did credit my membership of $219.95 a few days later. The reason I purchased this was for peace of mind BUT it didn’t work! FYI...After canceling with GS on the interstate that day. I googled a Mobil Tire Service out of Montgomery and they had a gentlemen there with a new tire in 20 minutes! So, please do yourself a favor and do NOT use Good Sam!!!

Good Sam Roadside Assistance Company Information