Get peace of Mind

Be comforted knowing that your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend My Warranty
1.48/5

General Motors

General Motors, also called GM, is a major national auto manufacturer of trucks, SUVs, crossovers and vans under several different brands. Read reviews for their models:

View More View More

Get peace of Mind

Be comforted knowing that your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend My Warranty

333 General Motors Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 11, 2019

I own a 2017 Equinox, with less than 65,000 miles on it, so out of warranty by mileage by less than 2,000 miles but by year "covered" until 2021. My car broke down on the highway, and after getting it to a Chevy dealership I was told that I need to completely replace my engine! I had been driving my car for a solid 30 minutes before my car broke down, with no warning lights, or indication that something was wrong. I receive the diagnostic reports every month and in the last report sent to me in January nothing indicated that something was wrong with my engine. The only reason I called GM to see what they could do was because I was not far out of my warranty, I had never had a single issue with my car or major work done, and till that point been very satisfied with GM.

Since I was out of warranty by mileage GM refused to help cover the cost ($5,000 just for the engine and $2,400 service and labor), and that the best thing that could be offered was what the dealership offered which was $300 off, and a $250 mail and rebate! When I asked to speak to someone above a Senior advisor, they told me that no one is able to talk to a district manager, or regional manager since they're traveling to dealerships all the time and don't have time to talk. So I just had to swallow the fact that I had to pay $7,400 out of pocket.

I love my car, and when I got my car back I was so happy! BUT... I am fearful that as I continue to drive this car, or a GM product I am setting myself up for another massive expense. I will not be speaking highly of GM products and I will never be purchasing a GM product ever again. This is a large large large Corporation, and I did not go to customer service with a car that had 100,000+ miles or with a car that was 5+years old. I came to you with a 2-year-old car and with less than 65,000 miles on it and received no help, or even met half way! If anyone is looking for advice or on the fence about making a purchase of a GM car Do not go through with it.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I am absolutely stunned by the way GM handled my case. Yes, my car was out of the 5yr/100,000 mile warranty. Only by 2 years. Car ONLY had 55,000 miles on it, before the transmission went out. After 55,000 miles!!! Yup, you guessed it, GM wants me to eat this one in $4,000 in repairs!!! GM is a joke. Didn't even offer to help compensate, no discount. NOTHING. I will never buy another Chevy EVER again. I will also warn others to steer clear of Chevy. Worst experience ever. Not to mention they provided parts/equipment to the German army in WW II. Makes sense now.

Get expert buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 3, 2019

Leased a 2019 Colorado crew cab long box 4x4 on Dec 12, 2018. Fuel gauge has not worked properly since taking possession. Has been back to dealer 2 times now with no resolve. Truck has now developed a nasty rumbling sensation (like driving over rumble strips) at all speeds with it being more noticeable at 55 or above. Dealer states that this is due to the wrong transmission fluid being used in the 8 speed transmission but they (dealership) does not have the required tools to drain and replace fluid. Gas gauge issue is still not resolved. Requested a GM buyback of vehicle three weeks ago. (Truck has under 1000 miles on it) Have finally heard back from GM and they agree to buy back the truck. Now I have to figure out what to buy. Note: I also leased a 2019 Traverse LT for my wife the same day. I am thinking that these will be my last GM products.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

I bought a 2014 GMC truck with thirty one thousand miles and I drove it for three years to eighty four thousand miles and my family and I went for a road trip to Vegas Nevada and we were driving on a parking lot around 5 miles an hour and for no reason the motor broke down and Chevy wouldn’t honor the warranty. It cost me 10,000 dollars to get it fix at Fairway Chevrolet in Vegas and they didn’t do a good job. Now I have a check engine light on. Now a local dealer wants 1700 dollars to fix it. So I’m really mad at General Motors.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

They sure don't care about us after they sell the car. Safety recall in my car they refuse to honor because of vin #. Clearly it can be seen with one's eyes. Exact recall but they say no it's not in their system? I have it saved in my phone. An official GM site with recall # and still refuse. What a joke and a very sad case. Shame on GM.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about General Motors?

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

Bought a very expensive GMC Yukon Denali in Sep 2017 and almost a year from that, car started with engine malfunction and shaking while we are driving putting us on risk. We tried to take the car to the dealership 3 times for the same issue and nothing has been fixed. I scheduled the 4th visit this week on Wednesday but not sure if worthless. I do not trust anymore GM, GMC, the dealership and the customer relationship care. Definitely, the car maker do not take care of customers.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

Bought a 2018 Chevy Sonic in late August with only 220 miles. Several week ago went to get in my car and my car would not start. Called GM and they said since my car is new with only 5,000 miles everything will be covered under warranty and they will tow it to the nearest Chevy dealer. Had to call the dealer several times to see what the issue was and this went on for days. Finally get an answer back and they said that I will not be covered for a rental car or for the service because they claimed they found a high level of ethanol in my tank and it’s going to be $500 out of pocket for all these cleanings they need to do. I got completely ripped off. Ended up paying a total of $468 for “cleanings” plus the cost of my rental I had to get for several days.

GM handled my complaint poorly and has taken weeks to get back to me and said they will not offer reimbursement because it was my fault I had ethanol in my tank and I can only use unleaded fuel. So I told them that I have only used unleaded fuel and the owner manual only states you can not use E85 of flex fuel which is common sense. So after all these weeks they refuse to help and shut me up by throwing me a $100 service certificate that I can only use all at once. So I’m out several hundred dollars on a brand new car. On top of that my fuel economy in my car is so poor now that I got it back from the dealer and I never had this issue prior to taking it in for service. Now I’m stuck with a Brand new car that they messed up. Never buy Gm cars again and they could care less about their customers.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

2011 Cruze + Dex-Cool = defective cooling system and an unsafe vehicle to drive. It's corroding everything that touches this stuff. 5 water pump/gasket replacements. 5 blown (while driving!!) radiator/heater hoses. 2 water outlet replacements. 1 thermostat housing replacement. 2 intake manifold gaskets. 1 major headache. I can't ethically sell to anyone else.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

2018 Equinox with 1.5 turbo. Purchased July 23rd of 2018. Starting at 6700 miles and 3 months of driving we got check engine light. Well, 3 months, 7000 miles later, 9 repair tickets. Ranging from new intercooler, ECM, Mass AirFlow Sensor, Camshaft Actuator Solenoid, still getting Check Engine Light and Reduced Engine Power message. Been sitting at Rusty Wallace Chevrolet Service Department since January 11th 2019. Today is February 3. Now they are holding on a complete Engine wire harness. GM just offered a replacement and we pay attorney fees. NOT. General Motors does NOT care about customers. I would be surprised if they cared about their employees. Oh wait, they don't. That's why several U.S.A. PLANTS are closing. Do NOT buy General Motors, they won't help.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

We bought a 2017 Chevy Silverado new. We drove it off the lot and on our way home it started stuttering. We took it back several times to the dealership. We were told things such as: GM knew there was a problem but couldn't fix it, it needed to get used to the way we drive, it needs broke in. Two years down the road it continues to have problems and they are only getting bigger. GM will not stand behind the fact that there is something wrong with this truck and make it right. We drove our last Chevy truck for 12 years and now are hesitant to continue to drive GM products. They advertise as the "working man's truck" but won't stand behind it when there is a problem.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

"Service center completely scammed me." If I could give it a zero I would. Took my car in a year ago because it was stalling. They said they fixed it for $400 which some was covered under warranty. They replaced timing chain and gaskets. Still stalling so recently I had aftermarket solenoids put in. It was still stalling and check engine light came. Took it to Gordon’s and John ** told me it would be $542 and that’s it’s because I had aftermarket solenoids. I was hesitant, but he convinced me it would be running good after.

Next day he calls me and tells me it will be over $1400. But at this point they already changed the solenoids and that didn’t work. They misdiagnosed the problem. I tell them forget it and pick up my car. On the work order for the 1400 they have timing chain, gaskets and actuator. The same things they supposedly fixed a year ago. They still charged me $500 for the solenoids. Paid $500 for absolutely nothing and check engine lights still on. Nothing fixed for $500. I will be putting in a complaint through the state of Michigan. We actually have also talked to our cousin who is a lawyer. I feel like they took advantage of me because I am a woman. Also when I questioned him he hung up on me!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

Bought a new 2013 3500HD Duramax Diesel that doesn't get driven a great deal. Just over 20K miles and both "Knock Sensors" failed along with other Diesel Exhaust components. > $700 to replace sensors. Contacted GM and they tell me to read the Owner's Manual on Warranty - 36 Months. Not the first issue with sensors on this vehicle. My first new Chevrolet purchase ever and most likely the last. Happy with my 2003 Toyota Tundra with > 300K miles on it and no sensor problems. Stay away from GM.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

We purchased a GMC Canyon, the contract was incorrect per our original agreement. I have proof of the original agreement, I took a picture of it. We were kept until right before closing and encouraged to sign without looking at any of the contract. We were taken advantage of over 5000 dollars. I have went into GM three times and called at least 8 times. Every time I am promised management will return my call. To date they have not called.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

Worst car ever bought. I bought a brand new 2018 Terrain about 4 month ago and it has a weird noise in the transmission and the dealership and GM say they can't do anything about it. Would never recommend. I really regret buying a GM vehicle.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

My wife and I purchased a 2012 Chevy Equinox new, now it has 58,000 miles on it and it uses oil up to 2 quarts before a scheduled oil change. There is a extended warranty but they only rebuild the cylinder affected by the oil usage and they do not take care of any problems. After that...it's been in the shop twice for the engine light on which ended up being low on oil... I'm sick of having this Chevy. I wish I could get all our money back on this Chevy product... Never buy a Chevy again.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

Oil change was completed on 6-30-2018. As of 11-20-2018, I have still not received my $30 rebate. Every time I call the 844-656-5369 rebate center phone number, I am given another excuse that will delay the distribution by 4 more weeks. There is no regard for customer service or a sense of urgency. This is my second experience with GM Service Rebates with the same results. Numerous calls are required resulting in extended delays. GM should honor distribution of the rebate in the advertised 8 week time frame. If I am lucky this time, I may receive the rebate within 25 weeks. Handling rebates in this way does not provide an incentive to service my Buick at the dealership.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I stayed away from GM products for 50 plus years, and I make the mistake of not learning from the past of how poor GM is in their customer service. I purchase a 2019 Chevy Volt that has equipment installed in it that does not work properly, and both the dealer and GM refuses to take responsibility for selling and installing equipment that does not work properly. The GM customer service representative that contacted me was rude and was of absolutely no help in solving my problem. STAY AWAY FROM GM PRODUCTS!!!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I took my 2016 Terrain into a dealership because there was a vibrating in the front when I braked. They said all the rotors were warped and had to be replaced under warranty but the pads were not covered. I asked if we could leave the pads and just do rotors. They said there was lots of pad left but it was uneven wear because of the warped rotors and if I didn’t change them it would void warranty if anything else happened. So I had no choice. I said, "Fix it." Replacing both sets of pads was $410 and I called GM multiple times and they keep telling me it’s a wear and tear item and it’s not covered but in this case it’s not wear and tear. It was their defective rotors that ruined the pads. They won’t listen to me. They keep saying it’s wear and tear and they won’t cover it. I am absolutely frustrated and fuming. GM is trying to brush this off but it’s not going to happen! I am not going away!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I have had four emissions failure all around the DEP system on my 2013 GMC HD 2500 Denali. Three of those were under warranty. I also had a breakdown due to metal in the fuel filter that is caused by a defective Bosch fuel pump. I found this out from an attorney that's filing a class action suit against GM. I opened a case with GM and talk to many people overseas about my issues with no resolution and just a runaround. So I guess the American made apple pie image is no more for GM. Both my GMCs are for sale and I will drive Ford or a brand more reliable. GM your overseas customer service centers are horrible. I bet not one drives a GM product but they are cheap labor.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Purchase a 2018 Impala August 10 2018. I have a major safety concern. My roof has two creases in it one being over 24 inches long. Took the vehicle back to the dealer Tim ** in Cleveland Ohio. I was told by the body shop manager "he had never seen this in 35 years." Said he had to get the GM rep involved. I requested a field engineer look at the roof. No one has come out to look at it or help me. The GM Rep said I damaged the roof myself by dropping something on the car in two places. The roof has 2 creases in two different places. I continue to point out to him there is zero paint damage. This will be my last GM vehicle.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Driving 42 Years I have always owned a GM Vehicle. After I finish paying off this 2016 Lacrosse I will never purchase another GM Vehicle again. I took my Car into Elk Grove Buick twice in two weeks suspecting a Transmission problem. They did their little computer check which showed nothing but I was still having the same issues. I took it to a independent service provider DK Automotive 712 E 18th St Antioch, CA 94509 and they listened and found the issue an internal problem with the transmission but they couldn't do the work because it's still under the powertrain warranty but they did get in contact with a Chevrolet in Concord CA and I had the car transferred to them and they Concurred With DK after doing their own testing. Spoke with the Dealership today and they won't have the Car ready until Tuesday. Oh I also had to pay DK $150.00 to do the work that Elk Grove Buick should have done.

I also was working with ** of GM PH# 866-790-5600 EXT ** who was going along with Elk Grove Buick and was willing to be a go between but wasn't pushing the envelope then had the nerve to tell me today that at least we found the issue. No (I) with my persistence, Footwork, and money found the issue. She also told me the rental I'm forced to drive is not covered because it's not a GM vehicle and they only cover three days of rental even though it's taking more than three days to fix the vehicle. So I'm done with GM. They just Kicked a long time customer to the curb.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I see all of the complaints about CUE computer system since 2013. Purchasing a 2015, I thought surely GMC has improved that product by now. But how wrong I was. I know GMC is not recalling that product because it is not a "safety issue", that is their way out. Come on GMC, you put out a junk CUE product, stand behind it. Has any CUE/Cadillac owners started a class action suit? If so, how can I join?

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I contacted GM motors complaints department many times regarding a cracked passenger's airbag section. The full airbag compartment is cracked perfectly around the bag and my car is showing the sign of service airbag. Clearly this is a manufacturing problem. However, they are refusing to pay the service to check to ensure the airbag is safe. I will hold GM responsible for ANY damage that happens if the airbag inflates for no reason since the compartment is obviously cracked and in a perfect shape around the bag. I am too scared to even have a passenger sit in my car in the front out of fear that it could inflate at anytime with no proper cause. They continually and in writing have refused to pay for the service. They will be paying a whole lot more than $100 if this bag opens up suddenly in my car.

ZERO HELP from their staff. You have to contact them multiple times to actually receive a reply. Multiple emails to have someone call you back. They give you their number and extension but NEVER answer their calls. When they call you back if you are not available next to your phone, don't expect them to answer your call back even if it's seconds later. NEVER EVER BUYING A GM CAR EVER IN MY LIFE AGAIN. Guaranteed am also telling everyone I know the same. They are great as long as you are signing your cheques over for them, otherwise, NO ONE CARES for your safety or anything else. Am sure this review will also be insignificant to them, but at least if anyone wants to know the truth about them, they can read all the different opinions of real people before deciding.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

As an owner of a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse, a GMC Sierra, and having previously owned a 2010 Buick Enclave, I know I will never choose to purchase another GM Vehicle. I have had almost identical problems with the two SUVs. Both had major problems with steering, where the steering wheel locks up and will not turn quickly (almost as if the power steering goes out). This is extremely scary when you are making a turn while yielding to oncoming traffic. I had this repaired in my Enclave and it required removing the motor to repair $$$.

The Traverse has had very similar problems with the timing chain which needs to be replaced (just as it happened with the Enclave). I just had the AC blower and a tire sensor replaced and was told by the mechanic that the timing chain would still be covered under warranty since the car has less than 120K miles so I went ahead and let them do the other repairs ($600 worth) only to find out that the timing chain ($3500) would not be covered under the warranty. The car is now losing power so I'm sure it won't last much longer. These cars are junk after a few years and each time I called Chevrolet Cares and they would do absolutely nothing to help.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Got a 2017 GMC Sierra and the chrome wheels started peeling. Warranty had me give them 500.00 to replace the wheels which I did. Got new wheels on, got home from dealership and looked the wheels over. To say the least they looked like **. I could see sand scratches all through the chrome and pit marks everywhere. I took them back to the dealership the next day and they said there was nothing they could do.

Fast forward a year and 7 days and the chrome is peeling, and the tires won't hold air. I took them to a tire shop and they pull me into the garage to show me that the chrome is peeling off and corroding underneath where the tire seals. Clearly these wheels were refurbished and not prepped correctly. I contacted GMC multiple times and since I was 7 days out of warranty there was nothing they could do. Needless to say, I'll never purchase another GMC product again. It's sad when you spend so much on these trucks that they won't replace something so simple and go back on the company that refurbished the wheels.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I purchased my ‘16 Yukon in August of 2017 and by far this was the worst purchased I could’ve made. Since the day if purchase, I have to repair/replace the battery, motor mounts (~5 days after purchased), some plug for the transmission as the RPMs continuously revs up at highway speeds over 3000 rpms, several computer resets, the AC (2x), the weather strips around the door frame of the vehicle, fuel injection pump, and transmission. The truck often jerks forward while in low speeds almost causing me to rear end someone even while applying the brake.

It seems as if I’m using an extensive amount of brake pressure as this truck is very unpredictable and unsafe. At times it has stuttered where it felt like I had no power while traffic causing vehicles to almost hit me. I’ve been told by the service department that they could not duplicate the issue. These concerns are very serious and definitely unsafe. It’s a shame that GM has taken the stance to ignore these issues.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

I was driving on Oregon coast on a vacation. Just bought this truck with 39000 miles and all of the sudden the steering locking up and took everything I could do to turn to a safe stop. Had the vehicle repaired at a Chevrolet dealership in Newport who were great to work with. I called GM and this truck has been out of warranty for 4 thousand miles, and they only wanted to pay half, and give me credit for accessories. This could have cause me to get into a bad accident with my family in it. The steering gear failed all of a sudden with no warning. I have had paint issues with this truck and now safety problems. They will not stand up for craftsmanship of truck and is still worth around 48000 dollars. I have owned these trucks my whole life and now it will be the last.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

If you have to file a claim for assistance, pray you don’t get Yasmine. Rude rude rude. These people care nothing about their customers. 2016 Yukon transmission totally failed on first family road trip. Worst experience of my life. Really should have checked the reviews before I even bought the piece of junk. The one star speaks for itself. Be smart and do NOT buy anything from these people. Wish a million times I never would have!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

Transmission gone in 2011 Cruze. Worst car I have ever bought. Problems from the minute we got this car home. No longer under warranty and hundreds of complaints on this piece of junk. This company needs to recall or get sued!!! Radio quit working, turbo replaced three times. Car was well maintained, just simply a really bad car.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

This has been going on for years (back to 07) with Sierra, Escalade, Tahoe. Electrical problems (techs call it gremlins) that cause door locks to go up and down, gauges to go crazy, trans downshifting, StabiliTrak, left day time running light will be out (every 2007-2018 GM truck has a DTRL out on one side) because of a bad ground. Dealers say it's battery cables or ECU programming. It is a faulty wiring harness and ground connections. Remember the faulty (death) ignition? Nope. It just happened and has already disappeared.

GM trucks are garbage. I know, I had three and now am down to two. I also have a Ford (great truck no problems), and Infinity 5.6V8 (which is Nissan - 2000% better truck than any of my GMs). The only decent GM truck out of 20 GM trucks I've owned over the last 20 years has been the 3500 Dually 7.4L gas (remove CC and replace with performance RV exhaust). I have to strip grounds on my Escalade every other week just to keep it from shutting off. The ground strap from block to firewall near the power brake booster was green and falling apart. I'm in FL, with no salt or corrosion. These trucks are slapped together with the lowest bidder supplying the parts.

With the way Nissan and Toyota are coming on with the full size (and diesels) I can't see GM having any future in the truck business. They need to stick with competing against Tesla with their Volt (which is twice the car as a Model 3 - and I'm an Elon fan). Dodge is coming on REAL strong with their interior. Never thought I'd look at a Dodge product until I saw their new RAM products. But GM... as soon as the rest of my GM fleet are done, I'll never buy another GM truck. Nope. They took the bailout. Ford didn't. They have problems and deny them. Other companies admit, fix, pay fine, fire people, and move on (Volkswagen and others). But not GM. It's the old school Detroit thinking... deny deny deny. That's why they are losing market share and their stock is garbage like their trucks. Ick, I can't wait to get rid of all mine.

General Motors Company Information