Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!
  2. Automotive
  3. Car Brands

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.26/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

General Motors, also called GM, is a major national auto manufacturer of trucks, SUVs, crossovers and vans under several different brands. Read reviews for their models:

View More View More

General Motors Reviews

Original review: March 20, 2020

I ordered a truck over 3 months ago. I was originally told it would take up to 6 weeks. The truck was finished 2 weeks ago and is sitting in Flint Michigan. It just sits there and isn't being shipped. Every time I call all they can say is it is waiting to be shipped. Slow and horrible customer service. I will be forced to go to another truck maker. Hopefully, they will have better customer service.

Original review: March 20, 2020

October 20, 2019 my 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax went into limp mode. It has essentially been in dealer shop since then. Parts delays, major parts replacements have all resulted in the same failure codes. GMC resolution group (I’m now on my third rep) has admittedly trying and the local dealer as well, however it’s been over 150 days and still no ‘resolution’.

On one hand I do have a loaner even though I am out of warranty, on the other I do not have my customized truck I use to manage my ranch where we live, and my most recent rep is essentially telling me ‘we are in the driver’s seat and you can wait until we fix it or you can come get it’. No more “yes sir we understand and we are trying”. I guess they are tired of my frustration but after 150 days one would think they could fix their own product. I don’t think they will be able to figure it out if they haven’t by now and wonder what the process is for my truck? Will they buy it back or simply tell me to come pick it up and charge me for repairs and parts that did not work??? Not happy with GMC but I guess they are doing what they can, which is not resulting in a successful repair of happy customer. :(

Get expert buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 13, 2020

I own a 2013 Chevy Equinox that was part of a class action suit for excessive oil consumption. The suit was settled, but Poage Chevrolet and GM will not honor the warranty. The vehicle was under 120,000 miles when the suit was filed but is over 120,000 by the time the suit was settled. According to the settlement, they should be repairing the engine. However, they are saying that because the vehicle is now over 120,000 miles they will only pay half. I also had a $1,000 repair I paid before this suit was filed. I'm not sure how they would expect miles not to be put on during the 5 months of litigation - I still had to drive it. I'm disappointed in GM for not honoring the repairs and the dealership, Poage Chevrolet, for not advocating for their customer in this situation.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2020

I have owned a 2002 Astro van for the past 15 years, which I purchased use with 150,00 miles on it. It was in need of a rear differential overhaul which I did myself. This vehicle now has 308000 miles on it, and has only required normal maint and repairs the entire time I have owned it. The engine has only had the timing chain replace at 280000 miles. Still gets 20 mpg on highway, 17 around town, interior is still in good shape and body is tight & rust free. Although I have other newer vehicles I use this as my go to vehicle for daily use because I enjoy driving it. Just thought I would say something positive when it is deserved.

Sincerely

Tony ** Jennings Florida

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

I purchased a new 2019 Chevy Blazer in June 2019. In October 2019 another driver ran a red light and hit me. My car had front end damage that I have now been waiting over 4 months for repair on. GM cannot tell the dealership or the repair shop when the parts will be in and will not assist in putting me in a replacement vehicle in the interim. I started a claim within their customer service department at corporate and cannot get anyone to assist me or return my calls. I have been waiting over a month to speak to an actual person to help me. In the interim I have no vehicle and am out of pocket almost $5,000 in rental car fees. GM has forgotten the customer in customer service and as someone whose last 4 vehicles were GM, it is disappointing to see. I will not be a return customer anymore after this horrible ongoing experience. Stay away. They cannot meet the demand for parts on anything, nor do they care.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about General Motors?

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

1. Saw Buick LaCrosse online 2. Visited in person & negotiated price 3. Waited HOURS into the night & was the last customer to be seen by finance. 4. He tells me that nothing has been done and it was too late. At this point, I had been sitting & waiting for hours. Since it was Friday, he told me to take the car and he'll submit my app to Vystar on Monday. Then, he cautions me that people with HIGH FICO scores get declined all the time! How ethical is that? Then he suggests that he complete my paperwork at a higher rate, JUST IN CASE. I stuck to my guns on the lowest rate and didn't take the bait. 5. The car was sent to be cleaned (last car) but it seemed more like it was rinsed because it was still dirty.

6. Monday came, no call. Tuesday came, no call. Wednesday came, no call. Thursday came, no call. Friday came, and I finally called to get the run around and a man said he THINKS I was okay. NO ONE EVER CALLED to follow up. It literally took 2 1/2 weeks for a confirmation letter. 7. I Noticed $300 accessory fee added to my sales price. 8. Received denial letter from the dealership not a finance co, that said I was denied for multiple accts in delinquency. That is inaccurate info, as I have no delinquencies at all, and would not have a FICO score of 803 if there were such. (see attached w/ score), yet I was APPROVED by VYSTAR at their best rate for used cars

8. A so-called Customer Exp Mgr ** emailed and said some words followed by A HAND WASH for my troubles. Wow! That was very gracious. Never Again! The hallmark of a disorganized company is that they never finish what they start. Thus, me having to call over and over to get my status and no one could give me a definitive answer. If you like being both confused and getting the runaround - OR - a free hand-wash, choose this place. "I hate to break the suspense to you, but if I ran the joint, I would offer more than a hand-wash!" PLEEZ, Mr. **, that added about a GALLON of HIGH OCTANE FUEL to the FIRE. I even went as far as to share w/Mr. ** that my dissatisfaction with the dealership was too far gone and I have told over 15 people. No one cares, yet they talk like they do. P.S. Credit score is 803. As a woman, I truly hate having to give a negative review on any company, but this company deserves it.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

GMC has had my car for 5 months waiting on a part. Is that a dealership right now, but I'm waiting for the part to come from the GMC factory. My car has an extended warranty and it is covered by that. They had it for 5 months. I know that the strike was there. Strike been over now. They're saying that they don't make this part that is not under warranty. I haven't done anything. I'm going to go public and I'm going to talk to anybody I have to, my car is only 5 years old And you're already not making parts for my car. I have an Impala. I will go and I will talk to whoever I have to talk to to get this done. I want something done now.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

I have a collision shop and have been having issues with General Motors parts since the strike. The latest experience was a customer that got rear ended and needed a new tail gate. (Multi Pro Style) After 4 weeks of waiting we got the gate, prepped and painted it. When we went to assemble this gate we noticed the gate was about 2" shorter than the original one. This is the only Multi Pro gate they make. I would love to know what is going on with this mess. My parts guy just said, "Well I will order another one." POOR JOB GM!!!

Original review: Feb. 10, 2020

I own a 2013 GMC Terrain. The car was part of a lawsuit against GM for excessive oil consumption. My car was 4qt low on oil, NO oil light ever came on. The car now needs $2,500 in repairs and GM is refusing to pay for it although the lawsuit states they are responsible for it and are to pay for it! Myself and my family have always driven GM vehicles. I’m the last one in the family left driving one and now I know why. They do not stand behind their products and do not support their customers. Customer service from GM just keeps say, "We are working on this. Give us two days and we’ll call you." It’s been 3weeks!!! I’m paying for a rental out of my pocket and making a car payment. GM is useless. DO NOT BUY ONE!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2020

Where do I begin? GM Canada is a joke. I bought a 2019 GMC elevation blacked out edition in summer of 2019 and the first 500 km the tailgate started falling on me for no reason so I went to Prouse Motors in Sault Ontario to get warranty for the tailgate. They got ahold of gm Canada and they told them they will not fix the tailgate BC there was no known issues with them yet (forgot to mention I had my utility trailer on the back and the jack stand scratched and dented the ** outta the tailgate) so basically they said I was ** and the only way I would get a new tailgate is if it drops when someone from prouse motors was driving it. What a joke right?

So after 4 times they had my truck it finally dropped. Took close to 5 months to get a new tailgate after that and I've been back 3 times because of the paint job on it and tailgate being loose. While all that crap was going on I started to have transmission problems and it's been to the dealer many many times and still to this very day it's still not fixed. Then at 4000 km the steering column locked up on me and they had to put a new column in and the speakers on the passenger side of the truck went all ** on me. I've either called or been to the dealership every week since I own this truck this truck has been nothing but a nightmare.

I tried to plead my case and to get gm to buy the truck off me and put me in something else BC the truck is a LEMON. The only thing they would do is give me 2000$ towards a trade in so they expect me to lose my ** on the trade in and Pay more monthly for a plain Jane p.o.s I never in my life had such piss poor service than gm and the dealer. I will NEVER in my lifetime own another gm product. I will go buy a Ford or a Dodge before I'll even think about gm piss poor trucks... Before you buy a truck from gm I recommend take the time and read all the review. The only review I noticed that have 5 stars is the people who only owned the truck for couple weeks to a month. Steer away from GMC or Chevy. Don't make the same mistake I did.

One pissed off GMC truck owner

General Motors Company Information