2. Automotive
  3. Car Brands

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.92/5

General Motors, also called GM, is a major national auto manufacturer of trucks, SUVs, crossovers and vans under several different brands. Read reviews for their models:

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

General Motors Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about General Motors?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about General Motors?

Original review: Aug. 11, 2020

With only 8000 miles on my truck I already have about ten chips in my pain and the undercarriage is rusting. You would think that a truck this expensive would have good coatings on it. This truck will rust away on anyone who buys it.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2020

2015 Silverado 1500 with 5.3 bought with 76k miles from dealership in Jan 2017. Got it home to find it needed rear struts after hearing a squeaking sound. I love the truck but it’s financed so I have no choice but to keep repairing the things that go wrong. In less than 120k miles it got: rear struts, AC lines and condenser, and an ENGINE. Yes an entire replacement engine due to spinning a lifter and wiping out the cam leaving debris throughout the engine. No wonder there are so many used engines available. Plastic lifter guides, cheap terrible design. Wife and I were looking to upgrade her Cruze (which also got a new transmission at 87k miles) with a new Blazer. Between both our GM vehicles and the tons spent to repair them we went with the Nissan Murano instead. I have always been a die hard Chevy guy but I will never buy another new one as long as I live.

Get buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 29, 2020

I have a 2015 Silverado 1500 and generally love the truck. However I recently noticed clearcoat is peeling all around truck. This is abnormal. Professional paint shop says faulty paint job. Dealer says they won't help. GM customer service says not their problem. This is not right. It clearly is a manufacturer issue that I'm sure others are experiencing. I would like help from GM but nothing. I had 1997 Sierra with perfect paint to day I sold it. I've had and have 2 Buick Enclaves with no issues. This is a Silverado issue that GM and dealers not standing behind. Beware.

Original review: July 13, 2020

The following is a list or reasons why I feel General Motors needs to bear the expense incurred in this situation, the failure of the turbocharger cooling tube.

1. The part which failed was not available at the Flagstaff dealership and was only available from the parts warehouse in Reno Nevada.
    2. We offered several times to pay the expense to expedited the shipping of the part to the Flagstaff dealership from the GM parts warehouse in Reno by air, FedEx, Purolator or DHL. The Flagstaff dealer and GM turned us down both times.
    3. GM’s inability to track the part from the GM parts warehouse in Reno and were not able to give us a clear delivery date. The part did not arrive until 13 days after it was ordered. Had we known the part would be in Flagstaff on a specific date we would have stayed in Flagstaff until the part arrived and the truck was fixed. As it was the dealership could not tell us when it would be there.

4. This vehicle is under full warranty and only has 13890 kms.

Here is a summary of events leading up to these excessive expenses. On March 17 this year, my wife and I were driving home back to Canada from Phoenix, Arizona. We were 20 miles south of Page, Arizona when the charger cooler tube on the turbo unit failed. We called AAA and had the truck and our trailer towed back to the nearest GM dealership, which was in Flagstaff.

We met with the Service Advisor the next day, Wednesday March 18, and by 11 am the part was found at the GM parts depot in Reno Nevada and would be at the Flagstaff dealership 6 days later on Monday March 23. Because we were concerned the Canada/US border was closing, and with the excessive amount of time it was going to take to ship the part to the dealer, we offered several times to pay for the expense to expedited the shipping of the part to the Flagstaff dealership from the GM parts warehouse in Reno by air, FedEx, Purolator or DHL. The Flagstaff dealer and GM turned us down both times.

Please note Reno is just over 700 miles (1132 kms) from Flagstaff. The parts did not arrive on Monday March 23. We met again with the Service Manager on Monday but were told the parts had not arrived and would arrive Wednesday March 25. Wednesday March 25 the parts did not arrive. The Flagstaff dealership said the parts were somewhere between Reno and Flagstaff and that GM did not have the ability to track any parts. They said the parts may arrive Monday March 30. At this point we decided to rent a truck ($2000 US) and tow our trailer back to Canada. Again both the US and Canadian Governments were threatening to close the borders. We left Thursday morning March 26 after stopping by the dealership one last time to see if the parts had arrived. The part still had not arrived.

The parts finally arrived Monday March 30, 13 days after the parts were ordered and the truck repaired Tuesday March 31. Because the border between Canada and US now remains closed, the only way I could get the truck back was to have it shipped back into Canada is by a commercial transport company. The Flagstaff dealership said GM might offer to pay for the transport of the truck between Flagstaff and Great Falls Montana. I offered to pay for the remaining transport between Great Falls and Calgary. Again GM declined.

Also why is it that only Cadillacs quality for a free 800 mile/km tow while other GM vehicles don’t? My total bill to transport the truck from the Flagstaff dealership to Lethbridge Canada was $1350 US, ($1995 Can). Cole International’s charges for inter-border documents was $150 Can. So I have spent over $5000 Canadian on a part that maybe worth $100 all because GM didn’t have the required part at the dealership, could not track the part from their warehouse in Reno and give us a clear delivery date, and would not let us pay to have the part fast-tracked from the warehouse in Reno to the dealership in Flagstaff. I finally picked up my truck today May 11, 2020 from the Davis GMC dealership in Lethbridge. I haven’t heard back from GM Customer Service Canada since I sent in all of my expenses at the end of May and I don’t expect to hear back from them.

Original review: July 10, 2020

I own a 2017 Escalade. Bought it brand new, right out of the showroom. I've had nothing but problems with it since the beginning. Lost my brakes in 2017 with my disabled daughter in the car along. Recall for car. Shaking terrible, stalling, and Malouf Cadillac wouldn't help me. I have a long list of service issues on this vehicle. Made a formal complaint with GM and said they closed my case cause they weren't able to get in touch with me, really!!!! Car is in dealer now for almost 12 weeks. Now to find out the car went on fire while they were servicing it. Called GM again to find out the case was closed and had to reopen complaint and now have to wait 3 days for claim to open before I can speak with anyone. This is was $85,000 vehicle get you!!!! Still waiting and furious!!!!

Original review: July 7, 2020

PLEASE USE CAUTION WHEN PURCHASING A 2020 GENERAL MOTORS PRODUCT. GM has no available parts to fix them, should you have an accident or something breaks. My 2020 GMC Terrain has been sitting in an auto body repair shop waiting on a rear left door since June 1st of 2020. My rental car insurance coverage has met the policy maximum as of June 26th, and now I'm having to pay an additional $200 a Week for a rental, while my car sits waiting on a GM part. Their response to me was "we have no parts available with no date of when parts will be available".

I was informed by the repair shop it could be next week it could be 6 months, could be a year from now. GM is unable to provide a date when they expect to manufacture parts. GM is costing $800 of my monthly net income and has provided no customer service of any type. I've called GM directly with no response other than "the parts are on backorder". I've filed a Customer Complaint with GM and with the Federal Trade Commission. - Hope this helps save someone a good deal of expense and aggravation. Thank you and take care.

Original review: June 29, 2020

I bought a 2017 GMC Terrain in August of 2017. Since then this vehicle has been in the shop several times for fuel issues. The fuel pump had to be replaced as it was dumping fuel in to my oil, and now recently the mass airflow sensor was replaced. The air conditioner also stopped working on a very hot day in June 2019, and there has always been a shake in the back end of the vehicle. Keep in mind that the warranty runs out in August of 2020. Clearly this is a faulty vehicle... For being 3 years old, it shouldn't have been having these issues and been in the shop this many times. Now with my vehicle warranty running out in 2 months, I am quite concerned that with how many issues there have been, that I am going to have more and pay thousands to keep this lemon running while still paying it off.

Well, I made a complaint to GM, they did their "fair" review, and decided I would not be compensated for anything. I would also like to point out that the people doing the review have no mechanical knowledge. No towing expenses, no fuel, nothing. Unless I buy another GM then they would give me maybe $500 towards another vehicle. Such a joke. So now I am basically being forced in to a different vehicle due to my Terrain being faulty. The above is why I will never buy another GM again. They do not acknowledge that they sold a faulty vehicle, their customer service is less than great, and the vehicle is crap. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED that vehicle. The look of it and the space was perfect. Mechanically, it was a lemon.

Original review: June 16, 2020

I’ve owned 7 GM vehicles, but there will never be an 8th! This vehicle has been in service 2 months out of 12 months, and I’ve contacted GM’s corporate customer service, and nothing! NEVER AGAIN!!! The vehicle has been subpar, and their customer service and lack of response has been equally bad! I won’t make this mistake again!

Original review: June 5, 2020

I'm soo disappointed! I've loved my Chevy up until now. It has been knocking for over 2 years. I know several others that own or have owned the same model as myself. They all have had the same issues! Horrible knocking of the motor. Found out May 8th there is a class action lawsuit against GM for piston wear, causes excessive oil use and knocking. I am within the mileage for repairs at no cost, but they have escaped repairing my vehicle due to the fact they did not send my letter sooner! Now I have a 4000.00 bill! I had planned on purchasing GM again. But never will I never. I've had 3 recalls and damaged motor due to their production. They do not back their product. This should be handled by them. Please do not purchase GM. They do not take care of their buyers. If I had received my letter sooner It would be covered. Because of them I have a broken car, I have to fix.

Original review: June 5, 2020

I bought a new 2020 3500 Duramax crew cab and got 1200 miles on it, fan came apart. It is now 6/4 and it's been in the shop since 5/10 and still haven't talked to a senior advisor. Made a lot of calls, and nothing. I am very disappointed in the way GM has handled this situation. It is not good when a person has to make thier first payment without being able to use the truck they bought.

I have been a GM guy as long as I've been driving and I'll tell you that if I was treated this way years ago I would be driving something else. I am tired of waiting for a human to contact me to try to get help on this so I will contact the dealer and see if the store manager has any options or if I need to go to the Dodge dealer a mile from them and see if they may have better customer service. My dealer told me that they have not had this fan issue yet but I have talked to other Chevy dealers and I am not the only one to go through this. I am only writing this review because GM has multiple records of me calling and requesting information and they just don't care. Good luck to anyone that have to deal with their senior advisors.

General Motors Company Information