2.11/5
Based on 61 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Auto Warranty Expired?

General Motors

General Motors, also called GM, is a major national auto manufacturer of trucks, SUVs, crossovers and vans under several different brands. Read reviews for their models:

View More View More

295 General Motors Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 11, 2018

I purchased a truck from GM on June 20th. I was told that I would have the registration in a week or two because it had to be signed and go through their legal department. (Too long to begin with but whatever). So I pay at the dealership Brett Chevrolet in Saint John NB and I waited. After two weeks I call and I'm told it's still not ready. I call a few more times still nothing and yesterday July 11 their business department tells me they have the papers and now have to send them to motor vehicle and that it will be ready in a day or two.

So again I wait. I decided to call today and check and the original guy is now on vacation and a different fella tells me they just got the paperwork from GM "today" and he will send it tomorrow and there's nothing I can do to speed it up. Needless to say it's difficult to purchase a vehicle from them or rather get a registration from them for the vehicle that you purchased. The whole inter-departmental finger pointing don't work for me and GM needs to get their "...." together on making these processes run smoother. I mean, I can't even legally drive a truck I bought almost a month ago because I don't have a registration, really?

Original review: July 11, 2018

GMC pickup trucks - My oil pressure sending unit went bad at almost exactly 100000 miles and it cost me $500.00 to have it replaced at the dealer... also the steering sensor is bad because the stability and traction lights are on on the dash. The cost to fix that is also $500.00 to replace. Don’t you think that is bad for an 80 year old man to pay? Or don’t you people care?

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: July 5, 2018

GMC Terrain takes a little time to get use to, but great car. Lots of things to learn and still learning. One problem though is blind spot looking out rear window.

Original review: July 3, 2018

I have owned GM products since the early 80's, including 2 Buicks, 2 Corvettes, a Malibu, an Envoy and now a Terrain Denali. This included a full navigation system that listed at over $400. Just over a year after the purchase the navigation system stopped working, but since I did not use it, I did not bring it in to get to get fixed. I did bring it in just past the warranty period of 2 years and they were unable to service it that as the particular service tech that worked on these systems was not in.

Finally got it in yesterday, 3 years after purchase and they want $728 to replace a interface control module. Yes it's over the 2 year warranty period, so they are correct, but this is just too much. So much for customer loyalty. I have redeemed over $19,000 of the GM Card on new products and now I am cancelling and will never buy another GM product. Currently have over $3k credit on the card and can't use that to fix the navigation system either. This module also runs the ON-STAR system.

Original review: June 28, 2018

I needed a vehicle as mine had died and I had been looking for a while not finding anything. Now that I found this 2002 Envoy, I love it! This is my first SUV and I have only had it for about a month. It rides nice. There is a lot of room in there and I like being able to sit up high. It's comfortable and the seats have lumbar support. The heat works very well and the radio sounds good too. The only thing I don't like is that it is bright red and also that the clear coat is peeling off on the front passenger side. Also the headlights are kind of cloudy.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about General Motors?

Original review: June 27, 2018

GMC Terrain - Other family members had this model car and I was impressed with the smooth ride. They seemed happy with the performance so when I was ready to trade cars this is the model that I searched for. Great looking car, gets good gas mileage. Have had no mechanical problems at all. Transports five comfortably with plenty of cargo room. Great all-around vehicle and continually receive compliments on how attractive the car is.

But I have had trouble with the WiFi and phone charger outlet. Not sure if it is only with my vehicle but have tried to get it fixed and was told I would have to take it to the manufacturer's dealership. I haven't done that because it was quite a bit of trouble and I didn't purchase it there. Also, since purchasing the car I have had some physical problems with my shoulders and lifting the back cargo door is a little difficult because it is so heavy. I am thinking about trading for a slightly smaller car that would be easier for me to handle.

Original review: June 24, 2018

I wanted a taller vehicle and I like the 2003 GMC Envoy. I am tall and I really enjoy how easy it is to get in and out of. I also liked the price they were asking for it. I also favor GMC automobiles, I know they are dependable. This is the first SUV that have ever owned and I love it! I highly recommend this type of vehicle. I like the way it drives, the color and it isn't bad on gas. I also like the fact my heat blows hot as soon as I start my GMC. But I would make the leather seats heated. I have interior lights on floor in both front and back.

Original review: June 23, 2018

I love my 2002 GMC Envoy! This has most definitely been my fav vehicle that I have ever owned. My Envoy has so much space for transportation of items or for long distances with the family. I chose this vehicle originally based on the spaciousness! The GMC gave me the right amount of luxury and was still amazingly functional for my large family! I could easily put my daughter's wheelchair in the back but still be able to park it once we got where we were going. The only downfall of owning my Envoy has been the prices that all replacement parts seem to be! If anything breaks on the Envoy, I have Easily dropped at least $200 on the replacement part. This is ridiculous! That also doesn't include the cost of the work that was done to it.

Original review: June 22, 2018

1998 GMC Jimmy SLE 4x4 has automatic locks and windows and child safety. The truck area has extra space. You can put the space under truck and can fit quite bit on truck. Good name and run good. Easy to fix if something goes wrong. Truck has 4x4 drive, keypad alarm, and fog lights. Seats are automated. It's very easy to drive. It has back windshield wipers. Inside lights and brakes work great. It's good on gas. The truck lets us know if we need to check any kind of gadgets and lets us know gas and the mileage. It is very easy to handle and very easy to drive and fix.

It can fit five people. Usually it has two adults, three kids in car seats in truck. It's comfortable to take it in long rides most of the dang time. It does good in the rain as long as you check the air in tires. Check everything else before you go out and about... And we can open the back to sit or even camp out or to sit by fire or go to park or even go through drive in. We can open back and lay back to watch the movie at the drive in. We like it very much 'cause of the room and what it has. Love it in every way. Best truck I ever got.

Original review: June 17, 2018

We just bought a 5 year old Terrain last month and so far we love it. We chose it based on mileage and condition. It's in great shape, has low mileage and is very clean and runs well. I have not owned a GMC before now but I am pretty impressed so far. We like the backup camera, ability to connect to our phone, CD player. I like the height and style of the SUV. I love the heated bucket seats and the roomy hatch area. There is plenty of leg room which my husband and son appreciate. The seats are nice and comfortable too. But I have trouble using the cruise control. It's awkward to use safely. I have to take my eyes off the road to see what I'm doing which is certainly not safe. I also do not like the button on the hatch door instead of a handle. I'm worried that it will malfunction quickly and be a pain to use afterwards.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I love my GMC Envoy. Very enjoyable ride and mo mechanical problems at all. I'm enjoying the multiple CD player and the deep bucket seats. I love the leather interior, the moonroof and the dual closure. I also like the door and window locks, the automatic seats and that they remember which driver you are. I like the interior design and the colors of both interior and exterior. The seats are very comfortable as well. I dislike however how far back the seat belts are attached. Also the center console takes up a lot of space but the way it's designed it doesn't hold much so it's wasting space.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I purchased a certified used 2016 Chevrolet Malibu in March 2017 that was still under factory and powertrain warranty. My vehicle has been in the shop over 11 times since then with 8 of the repairs pertaining to the transmission. The vehicle has almost because multiple accidents on the interstate, caused me to miss a flight, caused me to be stranded in a variety of cities on multiple occasions where I have had to book hotel rooms and spend unnecessary money.

I have had a new engine put in my car, my transmission has been repaired twice, rebuilt twice, and replaced once, among many other minor repairs. On May 11th, my vehicle broke down on the highway while I was on my way to my college graduation. I was stranded 3 hours from my home and 2 hours from my destination. It was towed to the Orange Park Chevrolet Dealership where it remained until today, June 6th for another transmission issue. A case was opened for me with the GM Business Resource Center and Daniel was my case manager.

After 1 week of my car being in the shop, I was presented with 2 offers. They would do an equal trade or buy my vehicle back. Of course there are calculations involved and I was told I would be charged a usage fee for the mileage that I have put on the vehicle, but Daniel could not know the figures yet. He asked me to fax both the service receipts for all of my repairs and my buyer’s agreement. I obliged and confirmed via VM that I had sent everything he had requested.

He then called me back a week later to ask if I had a chance to send the paperwork. Once I told him I had done so last week he said he must have overlooked it and confirmed her now had it in front of him and would calculate everything. He also requested a copy of my registration. I told him that my registration was located in my vehicle that was 3 hours away. I suggested we contact the dealership that it was at and have them fax it to him. He said he would call them.

The next day, the dealership called me to tell me my vehicle was ready for pickup and that they needed their loaner back. I was shocked, because I was under the impression that I would not be placed back into a faulty and dangerous vehicle. I called Daniel and could not get a hold of him, so I spoke to a supervisor. She told me I had to return the loaner and that my vehicle would still be eligible for repurchase, but that the entire process takes a few weeks. When I asked her what would happen if I break down again or crash during my 3 hour commute home, she said she would “cross her fingers and hope for the best”.

On Tuesday, June 5th, Daniel called me to tell me that the buyer’s agreement I sent him on May 24th did not match their system. He couldn’t tell me exactly what did not match, but that they need to get the paperwork from the dealership I purchased it from. Daniel and I got into a heated debate about him sending me to collect all types of paperwork, yet he wasn’t doing his part. He continued to talk over me and blame me because I had not gotten him the registration even though he knew I could not. I mentioned that I should get an attorney and we were disconnected.

I picked my vehicle up today, June 7th. Upon pickup, I realized my entire backseat, back floor, and trunk was full of mold. The dealership said I must have had a leak, but it is not their fault. They did add it to the comments on my repair order, but would not do anything about it. I had to drive home for 3 hours in the Florida heat with my windows down because the mold was burning my eyes, throat, and nose.

I called GM today, June 7th to request that the mold issue be notated on my case and I was informed that Daniel closed my case on June 6th because I have an attorney. I never once said I was being legally represented nor did I request or agree to the case closure. My case is currently in the legal dept. Why would it be closed? Also, why would a supervisor not call me back. Daniel and I cannot communicate effectively and a supervisor should have stepped in. Your employees shouldn’t speak or blame their customers as he did me. Especially when I have been more than accommodating to all of his requests. As I was on the phone with a GM rep, my engine light came back on. So now my car is again shifting hard, the engine light is back on, and my vehicle is molded out.

I have been requesting to speak to a supervisor in the legal department other than Daniel since Tuesday to no avail. This entire ordeal has been pure hell, from purchase to current. My car is in the shop on average, every 1k miles. The repairs have been in the thousands. I still have 35k miles of powertrain warranty. Wouldn’t it be a smarter business choice to just settle this case as they have already put more into my car than it is worth and will continue to have to repair anything powertrain related? As a corporation, why do they feel comfortable treating their customers this way?

Original review: June 4, 2018

2015 GMC Denali - To my surprise, my front end struts went out at 73,000 miles. Ancira dealership had sold me a "long term warranty" when I bought the vehicle from them but refused to cover this. I was out almost $2000 for these. Struts should not go out with this kind of mileage and I do not go offroading with the vehicle. Will never buy GM again nor from Ancira.

Original review: May 28, 2018

I received an alert from On-Star through email (from General Motors) indicating that I need to have my engine/transmission checked. A few days later the engine light appeared. I didn't notice any malfunction of the car, at least yet. I contacted the dealer & was told that the car should be checked, but I would be responsible for the $150 diagnostics fee if the repair didn't fall under the warranty. I checked the manual & my car is still covered under the transmission/engine warranty, but there are certain engine/transmission repairs that aren't covered. I thought what is the reason to have this On-Star alert system. Shouldn't they know the details already? I think this is a ploy to get a customer in & make them pay. Unfortunately, the car is beginning to sputter as I'm driving. It doesn't happen during acceleration. Has anyone had this same issue & what was their resolution?

Original review: May 23, 2018

Cadillac Cue System started going out when vehicle was two years old. Now it is completely dead. Which means my car is essentially brain dead. Any google search of Cadillac Cue will come up forum upon forum of people who have had the same issue, but GM will not recall this component. They want $1600 to replace a $100 touchscreen. Will never buy another GM product, nor will I recommend one to anyone I know for this problem alone. GM does not stand behind their products.

Original review: May 17, 2018

2011 GMC Acadia Timing Chain and HORRIBLE GM Customer Service - My parents who are in their 60's and 70's and on a fixed income, life long GM buyers, own a 2011 GM Acadia. The Acadia is only (116) miles outside the Power Train warranty, yes 1 1 6 when the timing chain went out. Now they are looking at a repair bill of nearly $3000 which they do not have to pay. My Mom has spent hours on the phone with GM reps asking for some assistance with the repairs and was told today that the only thing GM could do to help was to offer her a $100 voucher for an oil change, in a vehicle that she can't even drive.

My parents are going out of state this weekend for their grandson's high school graduation and are having to borrow a car to make the trip. GM has repeatedly proven that this is of no concern whatsoever to them and they have no intention of honoring their poorly designed product, even though there are hundreds if not thousands of complaints about the Acadia online with this exact same issue. GM will not stand by their product or honor the loyalty of their lifelong customers, yet whenever they are in financial troubles they expect our government dollars to step in and assist them and bail them out. If this auto was out of warranty 10,000 miles I could understand but it is only out of the warranty 116 miles and still only being offered a $100 oil change voucher is a slap in the face.

Original review: May 14, 2018

I am an upset customer and relative of an upset customer. My mother purchased a 2018 GMC Terrain in January 2018 and this car has had nothing but problems. On May 4th 2018 the car was taken to Jim Causley GMC for repairs which to us seems to be severe. The car stopped in the middle of a busy intersection and an error message came across the dashboard which read, "This car is unsafe to drive," and the car stop working and was driving erratic. After the vehicle was towed back to Jim Causley GMC they kept the vehicle for approximately one week and I asked the service adviser the extent of the damage and he stated that he was informed by the service manager that he was not at liberty to disclose this information and they released the vehicle to me.

I proceeded to drive the vehicle a few miles and the vehicle stopped on me in the middle of a busy intersection and once again I received the same error message which read that, "This vehicle is unsafe to drive." I cannot believe that the technicians at Jim Causley GMC worked on this vehicle for a week and claimed that it was safe and road ready and yet again I am having the same mechanical issues.

Original review: May 2, 2018

2008 GMC Envoy - electrical issues, transmissions, stable link system, check previous surveys, & complaints. Roomy, comfortable, fuel pump, filters, issues, fuel consumption.

Original review: April 29, 2018

This is my first GMC and I don’t think I can drive anything else after owning a GMC. I love the look and the way that it drives. Inside is such a great design with wonderful features.

Original review: April 27, 2018

I expected non power seats, no remote start, etc. I can lift the rear hatch without a problem, but an incomplete radio. The vehicle (GMC Terrain) does not have a radio that get Sirius. Come on.

Original review: April 26, 2018

I love the way GMC Terrain handles the road. Good gas mileage and plenty of pep to pass on steep hills. Very roomy for travel. I love the body style and the way this short lady sits up to see over the front dash. My only complaint is not as quiet on rough road. Most highways there is no wind or road noise. But other than that, I'm very happy with my choice.

Original review: April 25, 2018

GMC Terrain: At 30k miles the timing chain and tensioners had to be changed and at 63k miles the transmission started shifting hard. At 68k miles it started consuming oil so it had the pistons replaced and now at 114k miles it's consuming oil again and it needs to have the timing chain and tensioners replaced again.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I had been driving GM all my life and I love it. But on the past years it have become an experience brand to buy and keep when others brand have gained reputations on durability, longer warranty and lower cost in general.

Original review: April 17, 2018

GMC Terrain is cheaply made. The passenger door rubber came off and the Motor Company claimed I pulled it off. Wrong. Also the Modules on the Tires is going out and it only has 50,000 miles on it. The center module keeps saying that there is a low tire. They cost $125.00 each plus installation.

Original review: April 11, 2018

Own a 2010 GMC Terrain. 65,000 miles on and already the transmission needs to be replaced. With thousands of complaints about this year and model you would think GM would recall these vehicles. NEVER BUY A GMC.

Original review: March 21, 2018

GM does not treat customers fairly. My husband and I bought a 2004 Pontiac used but in great condition. We owned the car for less than 6 months. One morning on my husband's way to work, it went up in flames. Fortunately, my husband managed to get out alive. Two days after it caught on fire, we received a recall notice in the mail. Guess what? The recall was for possible engine fires caused by oil leak onto the manifold. After starting a claim with GM, and being told to keep the vehicle in storage so they can have an inspector come inspect the vehicle, they decided to make us an offer for the vehicle more than three months later.

The offer was for less than half of the vehicle's worth, and they refused to pay for the tow, road clean up (because the car melted to the street) and the storage fees totaling more than $3300.00 because they said it was our choice to have the vehicle towed and stored somewhere. (No one chooses to have their car go up into flames while they are driving it, and when it melts to the street you have no other option but to have it towed by police orders). We only did what we were told to do, and in the end we are paying the price. We are not even getting enough money to cover the cost of the storage so all that is having to be paid out of my pocket when I did not choose for my car to go up in flames. How is that right? I will never recommend GM to anyone, and I will always tell people not to buy GM due to how they do not take care of their customers.

Original review: March 21, 2018

We have a 2011 Chevrolet Avalanche with only 39,000 miles! We are having issues described as follows: When we tap the brakes, the doors activate and then the StabiliTrak light comes on/ service StabiliTrak, reduced power light comes on, check engine light comes on, and the truck idles high and rough and then it starts losing power and is very difficult to go at all. I have taken it to the dealership here WHILE IT WAS DOING IT!!! And they still couldn't diagnose it! Are you kidding? This has been going on for months now.

So I call GM for assistance. UNBELIEVABLE how they will NOT help... at ALL! I will NEVER buy another GM product as long as I live! It is the absolute worst customer service to deal with. They do not care whatsoever. Once you are out of warranty, THAT'S IT! I have read so many complaints here and elsewhere. They are so true!! BUYERS BEWARE OF BUYING ANYTHING GM. If my truck is acting up with only 39,000 miles, GM is junk. YOU WILL GET NO ASSISTANCE FROM GM CUSTOMER SERVICE... AT ALL... PERIOD!

Original review: March 17, 2018

Took my Silverado with 38000 miles with warranty ending less than 30 days prior to Ferman Chevrolet in Brandon Florida; air was not blowing cold and the AC compressor and smelled like it was burning. Took them two days to contact me back after several calls to them. Finally they tell me I had a leak in the hi pressure hose and it would cost $560.00. Then by the end of the next day I call them again “again no communication from them“ they tell me, "-By the way- the compressor is bad too and it will now cost you $1580.00." So, at this point I tell them no way. Then I can’t believe my ears- the service guy tell me fine but you still owe us the $560.00 for the work you already approved. Wow (I won that battle).

I googled GM issue with ac systems and omg it’s a known issue. There’s even a class action suit. So I call General Motors and the girl tries to contact Ferman Chevrolet and get no answer. A day later I call General Motors back and the girl tells me she has tried to call them seven times so she escalates the ticket to a senior advisor. It takes three days for the senior advisor to call me just to tell me “more or less” that there’s nothing they can do for me; it’s out of warranty. I finally had it fixed by an AC guy that was recommended to me by a friend. He found metal shavings throughout the entire system. For $1300 he has replace the entire system to make sure there was no parts that would have the metal shavings. I write this in hopes that something can be done for other customers with the same known issue.

Original review: March 16, 2018

I went to Beck service department in Palatka to have my transmission looked at on my Chevy Silverado 2500 6.0, it started slipping last week out of OD when going uphill and wouldn't go back into OD, I had to pull over, put the car in park, shut it off, let the computer reset, turn back on then be on way and it would be fine until next hill. My truck shifted smoothly in all gears and sounded fine until I got it back from the transmission check. Now the shifting is hard. Almost impossible from park to reverse and back to park and other gears are hard shifting transmission was not running hot. Now it is and someone apparently used inside driver door panel to yank door closed causing issues there.

Now door sounds like tin can closing when window down, not to mention the vibration it has that it didn't have before bad and when it does shift from park to reverse the whole truck jerks and whining sound, vibration in the accelerator pedal and shaking as if they adjusted the shift linkage wrong but service check was only for that a check $85 but something happened even if it were in the test drive and it was shifted improperly or ran too hard at high RPM. Now the tranny is worse than before. I needed it to hold out for a while but they did it in now. I'm screwed $4000. They say for new one because of tcc and say metal in tranny. But was still drivable. Now not so much, I contacted the service department they are refusing responsibility of doing anything and it is much much worse. Since I picked it up they claim they didn't do anything to the transmission. I didn't have problems shifting before. PLEASE HELP!!!

Original review: March 14, 2018

This is specific to a GMC Dealership but when I reached out to GM Customer Service last time I received no help at all. Overall, I am very disappointed with both of my experiences with Todd ** and will not return for any service. My issues may be limited to the salesman I worked, with but I will never do business with them again. My husband and I have now leased 2 vehicles from Todd ** and have had terms misrepresented and glazed over leading to large unexpected bills. First, we took my wife's Terrain (November 2016) in that we had leased through another dealership to find out my options. We wanted to buy it out since there was some damage we were afraid of paying for. I kept asking what the buy out would look like monthly but was never given the option and told it would be dumb to buy it out as the price was over the fmv.

I was told to not worry about the damage to the previous vehicle and that they would pop out the door ding and take care of the scratches and that they didn't think I would receive a bill. I kept reiterating that this is very important to me as I did not have cash at the time to pay for other things. On top of this we asked about the GMC family discount as to whether it would still apply to us because my grandfather had passed away and we were unsure if we still qualified. Once again, I was told to not worry about it and they would figure it out. I asked worse case scenario that we don't qualify what would the outcome be and was told we would figure it out. My lease term was signed that night including the discount. Upon realizing we do not qualify for the discount the sales agent asked us to pay the almost $1200 difference which I had asked if that would happen and was told they would figure it out.

Fast forward to a month later, and I received a bill for $1300 on my vehicle for wear and tear after being told to expect nothing. I realize they cannot guarantee that we wouldn't owe anything but none of the dings or scratches were even taken care of as I was told they would be. Shame on me for not getting anything in writing but these practices led me to sign a contract on false pretenses. We left saying never again.

Secondly, we leased a Sierra (February 2016) which is now up so we took it to another dealership to turn in and were slapped in the face with what we owed. It was a loaner vehicle which had roughly $5,000 miles on it. (The first Terrain was a loaner so we had experience leasing this type of vehicle.) We were told that the lease was for 10,000 miles a year for 2 years (20,000-mile lease). We kept discussing this as I was afraid 10,000 might be cutting it close for us. Cue the sales representative to sell us the extended coverage allowing $400 of extra mile coverage which equaled to be about 2,000 more miles which they explained meant 11,000 a year so we signed up.

We watched our miles closely through the 2 years and calculated we may still owe around $100 due to an unexpected trip we took that had us a little over the 22,000 total miles we thought we had. Fast forward to trying to turn in this vehicle, we were told the lease was for 20,000 including the 5,000 that was previously on it meaning really, we only had roughly 7,500 a year. This fact was never remotely discussed to us but in a small box in the lease we see that number. I realize we signed the paperwork but how do you tell someone something and agree to terms and then fail to disclose some of the largest facts of the agreement. We also discovered there is a $495 disposition fee that was never discussed. It seems pertinent to me to disclose things like this rather than hide them in a long list of papers that they shove in front of you to sign.

I am also against the survey they hand you on your experience to fill out in front of your sales rep. They hand you a piece of paper saying Todd ** only accepts exceptional here fill this out while I sit in front of you making it extremely uncomfortable to honestly respond. While I understand that there is nothing legally wrong with this, it is definitely not good practice.

General Motors Company Information