3.38/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

General Motors

General Motors, also called GM, is a major national auto manufacturer of trucks, SUVs, crossovers and vans under several different brands. This company is not yet accredited. To learn more, see reviews below or submit your own. Want to know more about ConsumerAffairs accredited brands? Check out ConsumerAffairs for Brands. Read reviews for their models:

View More View More

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

366 General Motors Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

If you're looking for a practical small SUV with decent fuel economy and plenty of usable space inside and comfortable ride. The 2017 Equinox is not a bad choice. Whether a long trip or a short trip around town. That being said. My experience owning this vehicle has been poor. In the short time that I have owned it. I have had to replace the power seat track and then back again 40k later to have the switch on the power seat replaced along with the fuse block. The front brakes don't last the expected average in normal driving conditions.

Most recently I picked up on a issue the Equinox has had since the current version came out in 2010 and GM has never addressed it at the manufacturing level. The inner door seams on all four doors have rusted. Bulletin# 15136. Unfortunate I didn't notice the issue until 62 so paid out of pocket for repair. Outside of these issues there are other know issues that I have not experienced. And outside of regular maintenance and the issues I have mentioned. It is a good all around SUV that can be purchased at a more affordable price than most competitors. Also if safety is a concern. The equinox is one of the best at a 4 out of 5 stars. P.S. GM does not supports their product long term adequately enough.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2019

I bought a brand new 2019 Chevy Silverado. My new $50,000 truck has been in for warranty 3 times. Truck has 1400 miles on it and has been in twice for check engine light and the last time was for a backup camera that is all static at night time. I have been told by the dealership that there is no fix for the camera and that all of the Silverados are doing it. Pretty sad when you're told that a safety feature on a brand new vehicle has failed and there is no fix. Also not happy about my time being wasted by taking the vehicle to the dealer and being told nothing can be done. Now I'm being told by GM that they are waiting for details from the dealership and the dealership is telling me they're waiting on GM. What a joke. Very very unhappy customer.

Get expert buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

I have an 2014 XTS Cadillac with 54000 miles. The transmission gave out with such low mileage. My warranty had expired 10 days prior to this happening. My mechanic bought a new transmission from GM dealership and was programmed by GM Representative. I called GM headquarters seeking for at least to help pay for the transmission not the labor since I realize it was installed by third party. I spoke with senior representatives, directors of customer service and even customer service to resolve issue when I complained to Better Business Services. They did not care that the car had only 54000 miles. They refused to even pay a portion of it. I will never buy a GM car! Nor will anyone in the my family. They showed such disservice to GM customer. What transmission gives out 54000 miles. Never again GM. I will only make displeasing comments about GM.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

I purchased a 2017 Chevrolet Silverado in February 2017 with only 26 test drive mileage. Fast forward to August 2019 the vehicle wouldn't go into drive or reverse so I had it towed to Bomnin Chevrolet in Dadeland service department. I have always kept up with my OnStar diagnosis report which never had any major concerns just alerts when we need oil change or minor stuff i.e. tire needs air. The vehicle had no accidents or major repairs ever done to it so I'm not understanding how the service department tells me I need to pay $4,600 for new transmission.

I called GM customer relations and advised them of this but 2 weeks after all the back and forth no one to this day has resolved anything. I'm still being asked to pay my normal monthly truck payment and no one is even hearing my main concern which is if such a new vehicle (2017) needs a transmission it has to be a faulty transmission in the vehicle all along. I kept up with my oil changes, the vehicle never had any accidents or off the market parts placed on it.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

I purchased a new 2018 Chevy Traverse in July of 2018 from Hendrick Chevrolet in Cary, NC. It has now been in the shop for the third time, this time for 6 weeks because the part is not available. I find it hard to believe that a large manufacturer like GM does not have the part needed to fix my car. I am in the second loaner from the dealership and they are trying to switch me out again. I really don't think customer service is GM's specialty.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about General Motors?

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

NEVER Buy from GM!!! I purchased a 2019 Silverado 3500 and reported transmission issues and funky dash issues from the first week I owned it. The truck was in the shop 9-11 times in 8 months. Corporate case manager was useless and did nothing but say, "sorry"!!! Truck would surge when in regen mode.. radio would be stuck on full blast. Clock wouldn't hold correct time or sometimes go backwards! GM was happy to take my money but fixing the truck... NOPE! After it ran into my camp trailer twice and putting a hole in the back of my garage wall it was a safety issue for my family!

Dealership did everything they could - no issues with them! They even submitted a request for GM to buy the truck back. GM said no and they wanted to waste more time working on it. I ended up trading it in before it ran someone over. Now GM says you don't own it any more so we won't help with any cost... GM DID NOTHING during the 8 months it was in the shop. Why start now. I was told every step GM is here for you. NOPE! all I got was, "we're sorry," and "we will get back to you". 1 week, 2 weeks later nothing!!! "We will get you free oil changes". Nope! Never completed a thing they said they would. If I could give -1 star I would!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

Had my 2013 Avalanche serviced at Bob Tedford Chevrolet in Farmersville Texas. At around 30,000 miles engine light came on. They said the number 1 spark plug was fouled out. Pumping oil. They replaced it. Also did some work on valve covers. This was just a dog and pony show. At 70,000, engine light again, mechanic showed me the plug fouled out. I asked him if it was the number one, he said it was. I asked what would fix it, he said a new motor. Talked to the manager and asked him about the AFM engines, he said it was not a big problem. I have since read several blogs on the subject, big problem. Also started observing the exhaust on vehicles with this motor. Most have oil rings around the exhaust. GM solution to saving our planet is doing just the opposite. Polluting our air. They should be fined heavily for a problem they are acutely aware.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

My Chevrolet Silverado (High Country) 2014 had only 61 miles when my engine seized. I have done routine maintenances on the vehicle since I bought it. (Records were sent to GM & Dealer.) The powertrain warranty completed the 5yr coverage on June 3 and this happened July 24th with 60-61k miles. Still now they want us to pay a large amount for something that they can't yet find the cause. I've been trying to reach GM, to get this covered under the warranty. This vehicle technically was still covered!!! Today is Aug 16th and still have not heard back from this company. My car has been sitting at the dealer this whole time - this has been so frustrating. They need to hire more people to handle these cases. Never again purchasing a GM vehicle.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2019

Poor engineering, not good in winter. The air intake on the hood is stupid. The snow will come in and will ice up the air filter. Happened to me on a trip to MN. Also in the winter with idling or short trips the exhaust filter will plug up. Had to take it to dealer also $150. $60,000 for a truck in the summer. Chevy was no help.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

I have been a loyal GM owner for 20 years until now. The past 3 years have been pure hell and if I can help just 1 person by keeping them from experiencing the same then I am good with that. It began when we bought our 2015 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ. We loved the truck and never planned on getting rid of it. Around 18,000 miles on the vehicle and it began having a vibration on the interstate between 65-80 mph. We took it to the dealership and were told road force balance multiple times. We tried another shop and had them road force balance. Over the next couple months the vibration got worse. It became so severe that my child not only complained about his eyes hurting but even vomited from it shaking him so much. A week later the vibration turned more into a death wobble that was absolutely terrifying.

With no answers from the dealer we were told it might be best to trade it in. After only 11 months of ownership we traded it in on a 2015 Yukon Denali thinking different drivetrain and suspension would be better. Boy were we wrong. The first week having the Yukon my transmission began slipping. The dealership went ahead and replaced the converter. A few weeks later it was raining severely so I decided to take my son to school. I ran outside and jumped into the Yukon only to find water dripping out from around my sun visor. I took a video of it and took it to the dealer. A few weeks later my transmission began jerking so back to the dealer only to be told I need a new transmission. A month later around 22,000 miles suddenly the Yukon begins having the same exact highway vibrations between 65-80 on the interstate. At this point I'm exhausted and literally broken. All I wanted was a reliable vehicle that my family could travel in and enjoy.

At this point we begin looking into other vehicles and considering a 3/4 ton diesel truck because they last right? But wait... We go to a dealership and look at trucks. They evaluate my trade in and that's when I almost passed out. At that time my trade value on my Yukon was I believe 48,000 give or take. I was offered (are you sitting down?) $25,000. Yes you read that right. I'm going to quote the sales manager... "Wholesalers are now aware of the major issues GM is having with their trucks and SUVs and many are scared to buy them so they are only going to offer half of the trade value." I sank. I then panicked. Was I going to be stuck with this vehicle that we can't utilize? I tried other dealerships and no help. Finally I went back to a GM dealership and called them about a diesel. They gave me fair trade for my Yukon so I traded it in on a brand new 2018 GMC 2500HD Denali.

I drove out of state to pick it up only to leave in my new truck and feel a Vibration on the interstate. At first I thought it was just me being paranoid so I gave it a couple days. Sure enough it became worse. Highway vibration between 70-85 mph. It has now been almost 2 years and I am still fighting. My truck still vibrates and will shake you so severely that you cannot ride in it for long distances. My transmission clunks and slips. It constantly stays in regen mode cutting my fuel mileage in half making it almost impossible to even afford to drive daily in town. Both of my power mirrors malfunction. My AC has already molded and mildewed causing me to get sick. My local dealership has already lied to me trying to blame my tires, they have tried to say I had a bent rim when I didn't (I took it to the dealer I bought it from and the rim was fine) and I've been told my tires were bad and then they were good.

I have been told "you're a small girl driving a big truck, you'll get use to it." I had a technician tell me that since it's a heavy duty truck it should have a load on it to make it ride better. Well, we hauled a trailer with a car on it and the vibration was still there. For over 2 years I never said anything to anyone other than attempting to work with the dealership and techs. I've been nothing but polite and respectful only to be continuously lied to and pushed aside. The fact that there are thousands of other owners out there experiencing the same Vibration and getting the same treatment is only more proof that GM has a problem and will not acknowledge it nor help the loyal consumers that trusted them and their product. So much for GM standing behind their product. Instead they attempt to sweep the issues under the rug so to speak and leave their consumers begging for help and answers.

I have not only lost thousands of dollars. I have lost time and sleep. I'm tired of living in a constant state of anxiety constantly worrying if I'm going to be stuck with a vehicle that I owe too much on to trade in and can't sell. A vehicle that I can't take my son on vacation in. Shame on you GM for doing this. Shame on you for turning your backs to thousands of loyal and faithful clientele that made you what you are. I hope the truth comes out and I hope GM makes it right.

General Motors Company Information