3.6/5 (188 ratings)
Get Pricing on Rydeshopper

Ready for a new vehicle?

Take advantage of high trade in values today with Carvana!

Get your offer

About General Motors

General Motors, also called GM, is a major national auto manufacturer of trucks, SUVs, crossovers and vans under several different brands. Read reviews for their models:

Ready for a new vehicle?

Take advantage of high trade in values today with Carvana!

Get your offer

General Motors Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about General Motors?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about General Motors?

Original review: Jan. 8, 2022

12-23-2021 bought a new 2022 Chevy Colorado from Luling Chevy Luling TX with 260 miles on truck. It took a crap leaving us stranded on hwy. Towed it to dealer. They don't know what's wrong with it. Dealer sold another 2022 Colorado to me but I lost 2k on first one. I think GM should help me with the 2k loss I took. 260 miles!!!! Always been a Ford man.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2021

As a GM Customer for over 12 years, I leased a Cadillac for 4 years and recently leased a 2021 XT6. As I contact Cadillac Novi, to schedule an appointment for my XT6 to come in for service. Due to hearing an unfamiliar noise when I’m accelerating. I was told by the Service Advisor that they have no vehicles for loaners due to the chip shortage. But furthermore I was told that I can go and rent a vehicle at Enterprise or whatever and then contact GM to see if I could be reimbursed. I asked the Service Advisor how come they can’t set me up with Enterprise or a rental company due to them not having vehicles. To make the matters worse, he tells me that it would take at least 5 days before the vehicle will even be diagnosed. As a frustrated customer I asked the Service Advisor as a customer who has a bumper to bumper warranty what if I don’t have the financial income to be able to rent a vehicle at this time. The Service Advisor had nothing to say.

At this point it’s clear that GM - Cadillac has nothing in place for customers. It’s very sad and unacceptable on all levels. I’m very disappointed with GM and will not be going back. Having a Bumper to Bumper Warranty is useless and it shows that GM do not honor their product. Anytime a customer have to come out of pocket when they purchased a new vehicle for a peace of mind is unacceptable. The fact that a customer have to call and go through the process of GM lack of production is this chip it seems as it’s a fallback with them. I’m so disappointed and will not be a continue customer. The Service Advisor gave me a phone number that after the prompts it just rings and rings. Then another number that after you press the prompt to #1 it goes to talk to text.

Get buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2021

I have a 2018 Chevy Trax awd. On 8/4/21 my engine died. We assume as they really haven't told us yet what is wrong. We had the car towed to our dealer Outten Chevy in Hamburg PA. Immediately they started coming up with reasons to void the 5 year, 60,000 mile power train warranty. They have used several excuses from wrong oil filter installed even though according to websites it was the right one, to low oil even though it was fine until the incident and then started leaking oil on way to dealer on a flatbed. It is now 11/15/21. More than 3 months and my car is sitting at the dealership and we are yet to hear from GMAC. We have sent them a certified letter, when we call we leave voicemails and cannot get ahold of anyone.

The dealership told us the tube to the turbo melted but would not say if that caused the engine issue. They offered to replace it at a cost to us but said may not fix the issue. Sounds like a flaw to me but GMAC is not recognizing this or covering under their warranty. How can a 3.5 year old car engine blow when we maintained it and was driven with care. I cannot believe that we are having this much trouble for a company to stand behind their product. Not only is the dealership doing nothing but GMAC doesn't seem to want to do anything either. I work two jobs and have had to rely on friends and family to borrow cars as they could not even provide a loaner car to me. I am still paying payments and insurance on a vehicle that has been sitting on a dealer's lot still waiting to be diagnosed because they are not looking into it since they can't seem to get it covered under the warranty.

What is wrong with this world with businesses not standing behind their products and doing the right thing. We come from a long list of Chevy/gmac owned vehicles from a 41 chevy coupe to a 2020 Gmac Denali and numerous in between and never ever have had an issue like this. I simply cannot believe it, but it is causing us to rethink about buy Chevy/gmac. I know I read reviews and I hope that this may help someone else in the future when considering to buy a Chevy/gmac be careful cause they may not stand behind their product. As for me, I will be continuing my fight for them to do what's right and fix my car.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2021

I have been sending emails for two years for unsatisfactory service and have not got a response yet. Had my vehicle fix at a dealership in California, drove to El Paso and broken down again. Went to another dealership and it was the same thing was fixed in California. This is my work vehicle and was on my way from delivering a load. Had to get a hotel for their mess up and miss work. Been trying to recover hotels expenses and never received a response yet.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2021

I own a 2021 GMC Sierra with 9000 miles on it, I bought it in March 2021 and in September 2021 it received a check engine light. The dealership tells me it's the cylinder heads and it's a known defect. It's now mid October and GM has no idea when they will have the part for my truck. In the meantime, I have had no truck for moving me into my new home, I'm worried that the vacation I planned with my truck will be with some crappy rental car, I'm very frustrated with this situation.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

I took my 2015 Chevrolet Colorado to South town Chevrolet, Newnan, GA, on Sept 2, 2021, for a recall item. I informed them about a light on the instrument panel. The dealership repaired the recall item. They informed me that my oil pressure pump or my engine needed to be replaced. The dealership recommended replacing the engine D2 replacing the oil pressure pump might not fix the problem. The replacement cost for the oil pressure pump it was $4,500 and engine was $7,500. The dealership did take $500 off the engine replacement cost.

I then inquire why would my oil pressure pump or engine need to be replaced. My truck is (6) years old with only 116,000 miles. I was given no clear explanation at the dealership. So, I file a complaint with General Motors, still no clear explanation of why I would need to replace my oil pressure pump or engine. I've been an avid GMC customer, no more. I will not recommend GMC vehicles to any buyers. I am disappointed with GMC and their products.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2021

I own a 2 year old Buick Envision. I heard a noise coming from under the vehicle at only 7k miles. The dealership and GM continually told me nothing was wrong. I did not give up. It took months but they finally determined there was a loose baffle in the exhaust. They finally replaced the exhaust. Dealing with them was extremely difficult. Very recently when leaving for vacation with bikes mounted on the back of the vehicle the car battery was dead. Nothing was left on and the vehicle is supposed to be protected from accessories remaining on and draining the battery. Again, GM is not standing behind the vehicle. The dealerships have prepared or canned answers for everything as to avoid making good on the warranty. As a professional buyer and car enthusiast I cannot recommend anyone buy a GM vehicle. You will not have the warranty you think you have and the vehicles experience more problems than other cars.

Original review: May 10, 2021

I had 49,500 miles in my Chevy Silverado and had a catastrophic engine failure. A lifter collapsed and damaged the camshaft when I took off from a streetlight. No engine should fail with less than 50,000 miles on it. GM offered to pay 10% of the repair costs which is inadequate given this engine is obviously a lemon and is unreliable from the factory. Taking a several thousand dollar loss and going back to Toyota. I should have never strayed from Toyota. Because GM does not stand behind their defective engine, I also sold my Tahoe and purchase a Tacoma. I was also able to convince a family member to not purchase a Corvette. I will also work to convince as many people as I can to not purchase a GM product.

Original review: March 28, 2021

Would like to any other people have experienced this? Contacted GM and was told it passed warranty so it was my problem. Been buying new GM trucks for 35 plus years and could not even get anyone in management to discuss the matter. Requested warranty manager information and was informed that could not be given out. Anjelica dismissed my complaint and request by knowing how I feel? Now I have a vehicle that should be very valuable as a trade in that has lost most of its value due to a GM defect in its process.

Working as a supplier for many years GM finds any defect products from a supplier they put them on third party inspection at the suppliers cost even if it puts them out of business. This is in stark contrast to Honda for example who send their best engineers from the company to help solve any issues with no cost to the supplier. Tried to find a place on the GM website to ask this but guess they did not provide that so people would not see their lack of quality control.

Original review: March 18, 2021

It was definitely an informative visit in March 2021 at Starling Chevrolet in Mount Pleasant SC - this is about a GM warranty issue! Apparently GM uses parts that that do not work well for very long based on this event. Another customer brought in her car because of a noise it makes all the time. Her service advisor told her even if it was still under warranty, GM would not replace the part because the part was still "working"! Well, it wasn't working correctly, and obviously if it is now noisy, which the mechanic had verified it was, it was certainly not well and just when might it get worse?? I was very angry about this because my older GM car was in there for service and repair and I expect to buy a new car in the next three months, and this would certainly eliminate all the GM cars from my list.

I went to the showroom receptionist and asked to see the general manager or sales manager to express my opinion about the policy and let them know it had cost them my sale, but neither of them was available - she tried to reach them by phone but was also unsuccessful. After I went home, I called again to see if either was available and was told no, then I asked for the corporate office phone number and she said she didn't have it. So that left me to file this information online to try to warn others of this warranty policy before they buy a Chevy or Buick or Cadillac or any other GM truck or car or other vehicle in case it matters to them if GM won't replace a part making noises when wearing out even if under warranty because they consider the part as 'working.' Shouldn't it have to be working right???

General Motors Company Information