2. Automotive
  3. Car Brands

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.28/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

General Motors, also called GM, is a major national auto manufacturer of trucks, SUVs, crossovers and vans under several different brands. This company is not yet accredited. To learn more, see reviews below or submit your own. Want to know more about ConsumerAffairs accredited brands? Check out ConsumerAffairs for Brands. Read reviews for their models:

View More View More

General Motors Reviews

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

1. Saw Buick LaCrosse online 2. Visited in person & negotiated price 3. Waited HOURS into the night & was the last customer to be seen by finance. 4. He tells me that nothing has been done and it was too late. At this point, I had been sitting & waiting for hours. Since it was Friday, he told me to take the car and he'll submit my app to Vystar on Monday. Then, he cautions me that people with HIGH FICO scores get declined all the time! How ethical is that? Then he suggests that he complete my paperwork at a higher rate, JUST IN CASE. I stuck to my guns on the lowest rate and didn't take the bait. 5. The car was sent to be cleaned (last car) but it seemed more like it was rinsed because it was still dirty.

6. Monday came, no call. Tuesday came, no call. Wednesday came, no call. Thursday came, no call. Friday came, and I finally called to get the run around and a man said he THINKS I was okay. NO ONE EVER CALLED to follow up. It literally took 2 1/2 weeks for a confirmation letter. 7. I Noticed $300 accessory fee added to my sales price. 8. Received denial letter from the dealership not a finance co, that said I was denied for multiple accts in delinquency. That is inaccurate info, as I have no delinquencies at all, and would not have a FICO score of 803 if there were such. (see attached w/ score), yet I was APPROVED by VYSTAR at their best rate for used cars

8. A so-called Customer Exp Mgr ** emailed and said some words followed by A HAND WASH for my troubles. Wow! That was very gracious. Never Again! The hallmark of a disorganized company is that they never finish what they start. Thus, me having to call over and over to get my status and no one could give me a definitive answer. If you like being both confused and getting the runaround - OR - a free hand-wash, choose this place. "I hate to break the suspense to you, but if I ran the joint, I would offer more than a hand-wash!" PLEEZ, Mr. **, that added about a GALLON of HIGH OCTANE FUEL to the FIRE. I even went as far as to share w/Mr. ** that my dissatisfaction with the dealership was too far gone and I have told over 15 people. No one cares, yet they talk like they do. P.S. Credit score is 803. As a woman, I truly hate having to give a negative review on any company, but this company deserves it.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

GMC has had my car for 5 months waiting on a part. Is that a dealership right now, but I'm waiting for the part to come from the GMC factory. My car has an extended warranty and it is covered by that. They had it for 5 months. I know that the strike was there. Strike been over now. They're saying that they don't make this part that is not under warranty. I haven't done anything. I'm going to go public and I'm going to talk to anybody I have to, my car is only 5 years old And you're already not making parts for my car. I have an Impala. I will go and I will talk to whoever I have to talk to to get this done. I want something done now.

Get expert buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

I have a collision shop and have been having issues with General Motors parts since the strike. The latest experience was a customer that got rear ended and needed a new tail gate. (Multi Pro Style) After 4 weeks of waiting we got the gate, prepped and painted it. When we went to assemble this gate we noticed the gate was about 2" shorter than the original one. This is the only Multi Pro gate they make. I would love to know what is going on with this mess. My parts guy just said, "Well I will order another one." POOR JOB GM!!!

Original review: Feb. 10, 2020

I own a 2013 GMC Terrain. The car was part of a lawsuit against GM for excessive oil consumption. My car was 4qt low on oil, NO oil light ever came on. The car now needs $2,500 in repairs and GM is refusing to pay for it although the lawsuit states they are responsible for it and are to pay for it! Myself and my family have always driven GM vehicles. I’m the last one in the family left driving one and now I know why. They do not stand behind their products and do not support their customers. Customer service from GM just keeps say, "We are working on this. Give us two days and we’ll call you." It’s been 3weeks!!! I’m paying for a rental out of my pocket and making a car payment. GM is useless. DO NOT BUY ONE!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2020

Where do I begin? GM Canada is a joke. I bought a 2019 GMC elevation blacked out edition in summer of 2019 and the first 500 km the tailgate started falling on me for no reason so I went to Prouse Motors in Sault Ontario to get warranty for the tailgate. They got ahold of gm Canada and they told them they will not fix the tailgate BC there was no known issues with them yet (forgot to mention I had my utility trailer on the back and the jack stand scratched and dented the ** outta the tailgate) so basically they said I was ** and the only way I would get a new tailgate is if it drops when someone from prouse motors was driving it. What a joke right?

So after 4 times they had my truck it finally dropped. Took close to 5 months to get a new tailgate after that and I've been back 3 times because of the paint job on it and tailgate being loose. While all that crap was going on I started to have transmission problems and it's been to the dealer many many times and still to this very day it's still not fixed. Then at 4000 km the steering column locked up on me and they had to put a new column in and the speakers on the passenger side of the truck went all ** on me. I've either called or been to the dealership every week since I own this truck this truck has been nothing but a nightmare.

I tried to plead my case and to get gm to buy the truck off me and put me in something else BC the truck is a LEMON. The only thing they would do is give me 2000$ towards a trade in so they expect me to lose my ** on the trade in and Pay more monthly for a plain Jane p.o.s I never in my life had such piss poor service than gm and the dealer. I will NEVER in my lifetime own another gm product. I will go buy a Ford or a Dodge before I'll even think about gm piss poor trucks... Before you buy a truck from gm I recommend take the time and read all the review. The only review I noticed that have 5 stars is the people who only owned the truck for couple weeks to a month. Steer away from GMC or Chevy. Don't make the same mistake I did.

One pissed off GMC truck owner

How do I know I can trust these reviews about General Motors?

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

2015 Yukon rims peeling so bad, they're not holding air and can't be balanced. Tried to resolve issue with dealer and customer care and finally a manager with customer care, she was rude, unhelpful. I've always driving GM. It's disgusting how they treat loyal customers, I filed a complained with BBB and I encourage anyone with the same, because it is a safety issue.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

Buying a GMC is the biggest mistake ever. Their customer service is nonexistent & GM financial will ruin your credit. I’ve always paid ahead & am a year ahead now. They refuse to correct their mistakes - they just lost six figures in new personal & business truck sales. I have experienced terrible service from day 1 with GM - they do not care about people once you buy it. Will buy Ford from now on.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

I purchased my vehicle in October, 2019. A couple months later, the vehicle experiences 4 recalls - 1 battery, 2 brake and 1 seat belt. After the dealer performed the recalls, the update broke several safety features such as front camera system, driver collision alerts, lane keep assist and whatever else. After attempting to fix the issue, they were unable to do so and escalated the case within GM. After GM was involved, the recommended solution was to replace the front camera system but the part was not in stock with no ETA of when it could be delivered. Over 20 days later, my brand new vehicle remains at the dealership unfixed due to the lack of a part. I escalated the issue with GM customer service and was assigned to someone named Victoria. Case #: **.

After several exchanges with Victoria, nothing has been resolved. Victoria has assured me of several updates and working on the case, but has not been able to deliver for this vehicle. At this point, I've explained my discomfort with the vehicle due to the variety of safety recalls and safety features that have gone awry. I've explained I would like a comparable vehicle or a resolution that would restore my faith in a vehicle that seems to have had a bad run. Nothing has been done.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

So I hit a deer in Illinois (I live in New York) on November 12th and it took forever to get my parts. GM customer service had no time frame as to when my parts would be delivered. Finally my parts arrived January 3rd and my truck was completed January 6th. The whole time while we we're waiting on parts customer care told me they would pay for the duration of the rental, well that was a complete lie. State Farm only covered 30 days of my rental and GM customer care said they would cover 35$ up to 30 days. I said, "Great. It would cover most of the cost of the rental." They then call me a week after and tell me, "We are ready to cut you a check but we are only paying up to January 6th because that's when your truck was finished." Now remember I live in New York, have a job and had to wait til I could drive back to get the truck. I explain this to them. They tell me they will get back to me with a answer.

Few days later they get back to me and tell me, "Sorry but we can only pay to January 6th." This made no sense at all as I explained you never called me to tell me I had to return the truck by a certain date and I had to travel from New York to Illinois. This all could of been avoided if they could of just got my parts on time but now I have to pay around 500$ or more out of my pocket. I am now going to sell my 2019 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali pickup and never buy another GM product after this. To top it off GM has recalls and a major one is you lose brakes. So far it's happen to me twice luckily I'm not a idiot and caught it in time before I would crash. I turned truck off and back on and it went away. But all in all I'm pissed and sure am not dealing with GM anymore.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

July 22, 2019, we (Fiance and I) purchased a 2019 Chevrolet Silverado from Crew’s Chevrolet in North Charleston, SC. Within the first few week, we heard a constant thump coming from the rear of the cab. We took it in to the dealership not once, not twice but three times in order for the problem corrected. We were informed by the dealership that we could file a claim with GM so, we did. It has been a pain ever since. Once filing the claim with GM, we were assigned to a Senior Advisor. After a few conversations with the initial Senior Advisor, we found out they were no longer with the company and no one knew anything regarding the status of our claims. A week or so later, we received a phone call from another Senior Advisor, Tori, who was now assigned to our case.

From here, I can’t even begin to describe the frustration I have felt. I have gone round for round with Tori regarding what to do, what’s going on and what to even think regarding our thumping with the truck. A civil engineer was sent to the dealership, a ton of sealant was applied and it is still thumping! (NO surprise there). Tori calls every 2 to 3 days to tell me that there is no update regarding our claim. There is an “Internal Resource Team” that apparently has not responded to her since the beginning of January. I have even called the service advisor at the local dealership and she seems to know more about our claim than the Senior Advisor assigned to our case.

We are extremely frustrated and just want this to be over. We want our money back for the lemon that was manufactured by GM. We want to move on and not have to deal with the constant frustration with GM, Tori and the 2019 Chevy Silverado sitting in our yard. We have to make our payments while we do not feel safe driving this vehicle and have made that extremely clear. When will we get the answers?

Is your car out of warranty?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right extended auto warranty for you.

General Motors Company Information