2. Automotive
  3. Car Brands

Get Pricing
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.82/5

General Motors, also called GM, is a major national auto manufacturer of trucks, SUVs, crossovers and vans under several different brands. Read reviews for their models:

Search local inventory and find your next vehicle on Rydeshopper.com

General Motors Get Pricing
        Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You
        Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

General Motors Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about General Motors?
        How do I know I can trust these reviews about General Motors?

Original review: March 28, 2021

Would like to any other people have experienced this? Contacted GM and was told it passed warranty so it was my problem. Been buying new GM trucks for 35 plus years and could not even get anyone in management to discuss the matter. Requested warranty manager information and was informed that could not be given out. Anjelica dismissed my complaint and request by knowing how I feel? Now I have a vehicle that should be very valuable as a trade in that has lost most of its value due to a GM defect in its process.

Working as a supplier for many years GM finds any defect products from a supplier they put them on third party inspection at the suppliers cost even if it puts them out of business. This is in stark contrast to Honda for example who send their best engineers from the company to help solve any issues with no cost to the supplier. Tried to find a place on the GM website to ask this but guess they did not provide that so people would not see their lack of quality control.

Original review: March 18, 2021

It was definitely an informative visit in March 2021 at Starling Chevrolet in Mount Pleasant SC - this is about a GM warranty issue! Apparently GM uses parts that that do not work well for very long based on this event. Another customer brought in her car because of a noise it makes all the time. Her service advisor told her even if it was still under warranty, GM would not replace the part because the part was still "working"! Well, it wasn't working correctly, and obviously if it is now noisy, which the mechanic had verified it was, it was certainly not well and just when might it get worse?? I was very angry about this because my older GM car was in there for service and repair and I expect to buy a new car in the next three months, and this would certainly eliminate all the GM cars from my list.

I went to the showroom receptionist and asked to see the general manager or sales manager to express my opinion about the policy and let them know it had cost them my sale, but neither of them was available - she tried to reach them by phone but was also unsuccessful. After I went home, I called again to see if either was available and was told no, then I asked for the corporate office phone number and she said she didn't have it. So that left me to file this information online to try to warn others of this warranty policy before they buy a Chevy or Buick or Cadillac or any other GM truck or car or other vehicle in case it matters to them if GM won't replace a part making noises when wearing out even if under warranty because they consider the part as 'working.' Shouldn't it have to be working right???

Get buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 12, 2021

Takata admitted there was a passenger side airbag defect a decade past. I owned a 2008 Silverado with that airbag installed. GM continually said my vehicle was not due for a replacement for years. Today I got a notice that my Silverado WAS involved in GM Recall N212328760... the same recall they told me for years did not involve my vehicle. I sold that vehicle three months ago and just got the notice from GM... today. From the language in today's letter it becomes obvious to me that they were just fine with allowing me to drive a dangerous vehicle after telling me it wasn't dangerous. There seems to hint that something illegal has happened here wherein GM knowingly put the owners of these vehicles in mortal danger.

Original review: March 12, 2021

My 2021 GM Yukon Denali had about 2-3 months and less than 2000 miles when I first tried to use the rear seat entertainment. It didn’t work. Took to service dept. They only connect headset but screens didn’t work. Took it back, found it had electrical problems. They kept my vehicle for almost 30 days. The part was not available due to it being brand new. Finally after almost 30 days they got part but another electrical part went out. They had to order that too. Meantime I’m working with GM to get my $1200 car payment reimbursed. It’s a very expensive and brand new vehicle so I expect it to work correctly. I’m not able to drive it so why am I paying for it.

They agreed to reimburse me. Lady I was working with no longer works there. New Person taking over case says they can’t and won’t reimburse me. They went back on their word. I will never buy GM again. Brand new vehicles should be inspected to make sure all parts are working correctly. This experience has been nothing but headaches for me and my family.

Original review: March 8, 2021

Tedd Britt Chevrolet (Sterling, VA) and General Motors has given me the run around. They have shown gross negligence by refusing to replace my newly purchased 2020 Silverado 1500. I have been tossed around from manager to manager, from advisor to advisor. Nobody wants to be the one caught with the customer (me) in a potential lawsuit:

I have put less than 15,000 miles on the vehicle, hardly owned six months. First owner. The vehicle has been in FIVE TIMES for various electrical issues including brake system failures (x3), and most recently the vehicle shut off while I was traveling +60mph. I fear for my safety. See attached invoice photos. Their staff sees you as a number - a price tag. Their “Customer Experience Manager” did not even look at me, he talked over me, and downright refused to help me - would not even give me the customer service phone number. He said it was not his problem. Incredible. Don’t waste your time, or your safety. Buy a Ford.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2021

Brand new 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500 Carhartt Edition. Broke down 2 months later in the middle of nowhere, could have died. Had to have truck towed to nearest Chevy dealer over 6 hours away. No one paid for the tow even though I had it covered in my warranty. I had to pay out of pocket and 20 days later my truck still sits in the shop at the Chevy dealer. My wife and I paid for the truck cash with all the money we saved up. Please save yourself and do not buy Chevy. They do not care and give you the run around with no answers.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2021

I purchased a brand new 2021 trailblazer in September 2020. While driving home from work November 20, 2020 my breaks, power steering, and stabilitrack went out all at the same time. Mind you, I am driving on a very busy street in Indianapolis also coming up on a very busy intersection. Luckily the left turn lane had no vehicle in it, but there was a red light and I could not stop. I looked both ways and braced myself for a horrible accident. Thankfully, I was able to get my vehicle turned and into a parking lot without getting hit or hitting anyone. I had to have my vehicle towed to Hubler Chevrolet (who took very good care of me). I did not purchase my vehicle from them.

When I got home and checked the mail, there was a recall letter from GM stating there has been a recall on my vehicle due to the breaking system and the parts being contaminated. Also, due to the vehicle being so new, there were no parts yet available to fix the issue. I opened a case through GM and it was a struggle from then. Over a month for them to let me know that it was not a manufactures issue, but they would fix my vehicle at no cost to me due to the recall.

Fast forward two months. Mind you, I still do not have my vehicle, yet I’m still paying on it. I receive a call from Hubler that the parts came in, but they are not programming with my vehicle. Two weeks later I received another call that more parts came in and those were not programming with my vehicle. I then called GM to initiate a buy back. About two weeks later Hubler called and stated my vehicle is now fixed and I could come pick it up. I receive a call today from GM stating they refused my buy back because my vehicle is now working properly. I am livid to say the least!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2021

We bought a 2020 Chevy 3500 and we have nothing but issues the day we bought it. Been in shop 10 times over injectors, it’s in the shop as I’m writing this review!! Chevy will not help us at all. The truck has set in shop for 2 months of its life and we brought it in October so do the math. Now we have tried trading the truck off and no dealership wants the truck because of the service history. We use this truck for work and when truck is setting we aren’t making money, the truck has cost us thousands and we can even get a we a sorry from GM. This last Diesel truck we will ever buy from Chevy and this is a far warning to anyone that’s thinking on buying a Chevy pickup.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

I just came from the GM dealer on University and Atlantic Boulevard in Coral Springs. I own a 2016 Chevy Suburban yes a Chevy Suburban. I was having problems with it starting I wasn't sure if it was the battery or something else. Two days in a row I called Chevy in the Winston Park area Lou back row and tried to get service from my vehicle and was told they were too busy. My daughter-in-law Christina suggested I try the GM dealer in Coral Springs which I did. They not only greeted me upon arrival with a smile but they were actually happy to see me as if I was one of their own.

Long story short Mr. ** is the gentleman that helped me from beginning to end. A perfect gentleman I will say. My car needed a new battery I just wasn't sure what the problem was until they put it on the diagnostic. I cannot say anything but good about this GM dealership. Mind you I did not purchase my vehicle from them but they treated me as one of their own. They took care of my problem and again treated me as family. In the future I will definitely seek them out first not only for any problems that might arise but also to purchase a new vehicle if need be.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2020

During the pandemic we were a couples months late due on payments. I talked to them on the phone countless times telling them we could pay once I got on my unemployment but that wasn't good enough they repo'd my vehicle and how are threatening to sue me if I don't pay 600 dollars. This is my third vehicle with this company and prior to this I always made my payments. They don't care if you have a family to take care of and they don't care about you during this pandemic. Sway away from them and do business elsewhere please.

General Motors Company Information