1.05/5
  • 1 star
Based on 21 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 3, 2017

21 General Motors Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I purchased a 2012 Chevy Equinox from a local dealership in July of 2015! When I purchased the vehicle it had approximately 64,000 miles on it! When we done the loan for the vehicle, we went through a local bank where my father has banked at for many, many years! My credit score is not the greatest, so my wonderful father agreed to co-sign for me so I could purchase the vehicle and help build my credit! When we done this loan, I was supposed to have been the main one on the loan and my father of course the "co-signer"! When we purchased the vehicle it did come with a warranty! I believe it was the second day that I had the vehicle, I was backing out of the parking lot where I work on my way to get lunch, and the vehicle started to shake and act as if it was going to quit! The whole way to McDonald's and back, which was about 10 minutes, the vehicle done this!

It actually did quit on me once and I got it started back up and was able to make it back to work! I called the dealership and told them what the vehicle was doing and they told me just to bring the vehicle back over to them if it would make it and they would take care of it for me! I took the vehicle back to the dealership, and they gave me a rental and a couple days later they called and told me that it was a "sensor" that had went bad and that they got it fixed and the vehicle was ready to be picked up! It drove just fine for a while. Then I started having issues with the oil, it would go through oil like crazy, and I would go to start it up and it would sound horrible! The only way I can really describe the sound it would make, is it was a loud ticking noise and then when given the gas it would make a loud "whining" sound and when slowing the vehicle down or coming to a stop it would start jerking itself like it was trying to quit!

I took it back to the dealership again, and If I remember correctly… they replaced the "Fuel pump"! Again... it drove fine for a while and then it started doing the same thing! We were constantly having to put oil in it, and drive around with it making the same horrible sound as before, and you didn't know if when you came to a stop or a low speed if it was just going to quit on ya! I ended up having to take the vehicle back to the dealership a couple more times over this issue and the last time I had it there they told me that the only thing they could do was an "Oil Consumption Diagnostic Test" which involved me having to bring the vehicle back to them, every so many miles to be checked and that I would have to pay to have it done because it was NOT covered under the warranty! I declined to have it done!

Some may not understand this... but my fiancé and I are trying to raise three kids, provide for them and each other on top of bills and other everyday necessities, on very low income! It is a constant struggle for us just to keep our heads above the water and keep from drowning! We are trying to survive in today's world the best we can, and we did NOT have that extra money to pay to have that test done, nor the time to keep taking the vehicle back to them every so many miles to be checked! No one knows our situation but us, and we decided that we just couldn't do it and declined to have it done! So here I was... in debt for this vehicle that I hadn't had very long... that I kept having the same repetitive problem with over and over again! So this issue continued on!

Some days it would run fine, then other days it would do the awful noise making and trying to quit on me... and we were still having to put oil in it about once a week… sometimes every two weeks! This past August we went on vacation with family, and of course my fiancé, kids and I were going to all go in the Equinox! We took the vehicle and had it serviced... oil change, and other things before we left! We went on vacation and the vehicle drove just fine there and back! About a month after we got back from vacation, I got in the vehicle to come to work one morning and it started making the same noise AGAIN as soon as I started it up! Only this time it was much worse! I mean it was SO loud that when I stopped to get breakfast and the bank to deposit my payroll check that I had to turn the vehicle off just so I could hear over the intercom! I mean it sounded so bad I just thought the motor was gonna blow right then and there!

I made it to work and my fiancé called a different dealership that many people had recommended to us, and told them the problems we were having and asked if they could get it in to look at it! We had already decided that we were NOT dealing with the original dealership anymore because of the issues in the past and the poor customer service and rudeness that came along with it! This other dealership was not local, like the one we purchased it from, but we were told so many good things about them and I had known of several people that purchased vehicles from them and always had good luck, so that's why we decided to go with a different dealership this time!!! They were very nice to my fiancé, and tried to get the vehicle in as soon as possible to look at it! This was on a Thursday and they made us an appointment to bring the vehicle on the following Monday morning!

My fiancé went and got THREE quarts of oil to put in the vehicle, thinking maybe that would quiet it down or at least keep it going until we could get it to the other dealership that following Monday! It got me home from work that night, and that next morning my fiancé got in it to take the kids to school, and he calls me and he says "I really don't know if I’m going to make it back home in this thing, it sounds like it's just going to blow any minute, and it will barely go up hills!" He did make it home. And the second he pulled in the driveway the motor blew up! It was done for! Wouldn't do anything... Now what to do???

We knew that we were going to have to have the vehicle towed no matter where we took it, and the dealership we had the appointment with the following Monday was a good ways away, and we didn't want an outrageous towing bill, so we decided to call the original dealership back... seeing how it was just 10 minutes away, and told them what had just happened! The guy my fiancé spoke with was very rude! Which was nothing new, because they had always been rude to us over the vehicle! He told my fiancé that it would be at least 3 to 4 weeks before they could even get the vehicle inside the garage to even look at it, because they were busy and shorthanded! He made it VERY clear that we would have to pay the tow bill and have it towed to them (which I knew that!). I'm thinking... 3 to 4 weeks before they can even look at it??? What am I going to do!?

So we call "General Motors" and we tell them the situation, and ALL the problems we have had with it, and they were very cooperative! They started a case and gave us a case number! Come to find out, they have had MANY issues with the "Equinox's". There was even a "special coverage adjustment" on it due to... "Excessive Oil Consumption"... and we were under the impression that they were going to help us out and do something about it, considering that was probably a big part in why the motor was blew up now!!! We were told that in order for them to start the case that we would HAVE to take it to the dealership we purchased it from and go through them... because right off the bat we asked if we could have it taken somewhere else!!!

We were told that they would be contacting the dealership and let them know what was going on and that the vehicle would need to be towed over to the dealership and that they would be getting back in touch with us soon! We had the vehicle towed over to the dealership and the manager in the service department told us right of the bat that it was going to be awhile before they could even get in in the garage but he would try to get to it as soon as he could! They did give us another vehicle to drive! At first "General motors" was very cooperative and concerned over our issue and kept in contact with us, and then it was like... nothing! We would go a week or longer without hearing anything from the lady at "GM" that was handling our case, or the dealership!

My fiancé and I would call and call "GM" trying to get through to the lady handling our case and we would get told "She's on the other line with another call, but I'm sending a message through to her right now and she will get back with you as soon as possible!" Or we would leave her messages on her voice mail and still never hear anything back from her! This was an everyday thing!!! We contacted the dealership to see if they had spoke with "GM" or knew what was going on and the manager at the service department was very rude with my fiancé and informed him that it looked to them as if the vehicle had been neglected and not kept up on its regular "oil changes" and that he wanted documentation where we had the oil changed in the vehicle!

I do believe his exact words were "And I don't mean some receipts from your buddies down to the local mechanic shop either. I want documentation from an actual dealership where they changed the oil in it!!!" Okay... every car I have ever owned in my 30 years, my father or fiancé has changed the oil in them 90% of the time! So how was I going to get documentation from an actual dealership for an oil change... and why is it even the dealership’s say so on what we need to show them when "GM" motors is the one handling the case!? "Because it's not up to "GM" if the vehicle gets fixed, I'm the one who has the say-so" was the answer I got from the manager at the service department! So we try to contact "GM" and the lady handling our case. AGAIN to see what in the world is going on!

When we finally got through to her, we told her what the dealership was telling us, and that we needed documentation from a dealership where we have had the oil changed, and how we change the oil ourselves, and how confused we were because we thought "GM" was calling the shots, but manager at the service department said he was! She told us that she understand that we changed our own oil, but if we COULD to try and get receipts where we have had it changed in the past or purchased the oil ourselves... and that they didn't understand why the dealership was making such a big deal over it because "GM" were the ones replacing the motor NOT the dealership!!!

Then we get told from the dealership that "GM" doesn't pay to replace the motor... They replace the motor and then "GM" will reimburse them back, and that he (the manager at the service department) is the one that has to sign his name off to do that, and he couldn't until we turned him in receipts where we had the oil changed because to them it looked like we neglected the vehicle and it was our fault, and if "GM" decided not to reimburse them back, then they are the ones out thousands of dollars!!! Then we get told by "GM" that they don't handle it that way! They SEND the dealership the new motor so they didn't know why the dealership was making such a big deal over it!

I go through this back and forth ** for about a week... and in the meantime my fiancé goes to a couple "auto stores" here in town to see if they would have any receipts where we purchased oil, and that was a no-go because he was told that their computer systems didn't keep records of oil purchases! They had records of other stuff we purchased... windshield wipers, filters etc. but not of oil! I know of a couple times we purchased oil from Walmart, so I even went on my Walmart app where I scan my receipts to get rewards back, and I still couldn't find anything, once my father purchased the oil and oil filter and changed it in his garage, but he didn't have the receipts! I could come up with one receipt showing where we had the oil changed back in August before we went on vacation!

The lady at "GM" told me to fax it to her and she gave me all the info and I faxed it right away! She was supposed to contact us back the following day after she received the receipt, and did not! We went a week without hearing anything back from them! We called time after time, leaving her voice messages and being told "she's not at her desk right now, but we will give her the message that it's urgent and that you need to speak to her right away!" Still wouldn't hear anything back! One afternoon I was out washing the rental car that the dealership had loaned me, and my fiancé calls to tell me that the dealership just called him and told him that if we didn't have some documentation where we changed the oil by Friday that we needed to return their rental car and that they were gonna shove mine out back!!!

My fiancé had told the manager that we already faxed the receipt over to the lady handling our case at "GM" but she hadn't contacted us back, and once again he told fiancé, that HE wanted the receipts, they were the ones that called the shots!!! I was SO upset when he called and told me, that I wanted to take the rental car back over to them right then and there before they tried to say I "mistreated" their vehicle! I was SO upset and tired of getting the run-a-around over this damn vehicle that was blew up and that I still had to make the monthly payment on, that had been sitting over there to the dealership for almost a month now... that I just lost it! I sat on the back porch and just cried my eyes out, and I will never forget my 6 year old son coming and sitting down beside me and patting me on the back and telling me "Don't cry mommy, we will get your car fixed... and when I get older I'll go buy you a new, better car!"

We contacted "GM" again and told them how the dealership was treating us and that we were SO confused on who was the one that was supposed to be handling this, because we're getting told something totally different than what they were telling us! The lady at "GM" said she would contact the dealership and just to wait on taking the rental car back that day and she would figure out what was going on and get back with us the next day!!! Well that next day came, and Friday (when they told me to bring their car back if I couldn't provide them receipts) and the weekend... and Monday and we STILL never got a call back from the lady at "GM" nor the dealership! Tuesday evening around 3:30 the dealership calls and says they want their rental car back now! I take the rental car back over to them and at this point I'm beyond and over the hill furious!

My fiancé and I walk in the service department to give the keys back to the manager and he wants to know if we have those receipts for him!? I explained to him that... No. I did not. I faxed it over to Canedra (the lady handling the case) like I was told to! I started digging in my purse and luckily I still had the receipt in my purse! I gave it to him, and he immediately gets rude and starts shaking his head and tells us "That’s unexpectable!" We explained to him all the trouble we had went through to try and come up with some receipts where we purchased oil because we change the oil ourselves and we had no luck, but he didn't care one bit! I explained to him that Canedra (at GM) told us that it didn't really matter if we had records or not, so I was confused to as why he was even making such a big deal out of it!

His exact words were "I don't care who you talked to. One day you can get Shanequa... and the next you could get Tom. You ain't talking to the right person, you need to call them and tell them YOU need to talk to someone in the US... because when you call them they’re sending you to someone overseas that don't know what they’re talking about!" I told him that we would go out in the parking lot and call them right then and there! He said "You need to tell them that they need to contact ME as of last month, because I got your vehicle sitting back there taking up space and we’re about ready to shove it out back!" My fiancé and I go straight out into the parking lot and call "GM"... and OF COURSE we get told "She's not at her desk right now, but I'm sending her a message right now to get back with you ASAP!" We demanded to speak to someone NOW!

My fiancé told her that we we’re standing out front of the dealership and they were needing to know something NOW, as well as us too! After about 10 minutes we finally got through to her! We told her what was going on and asked if she had got the receipt we faxed a week ago?! She told us she did, and that she was going to put us on hold and call the manager there at the service department now! We were on hold forever, and we knew the service station was closing soon so we decided to head back home, and my fiancé phone had went dead anyhow!

We get halfway home and after trying to call the lady back 50 times she finally calls us back to tell us that she just spoke with the manager at the service department and he says that there was "black sludge" in the oil filter, and that we had neglected the vehicle and that was why it was in the shape it was in and the one receipt we had was not enough, so unfortunately they weren't going to be able to replace the motor! My fiancé asked her... "So even though the vehicle has a recall, or is under some extended warranty due to excessive oil consumption, which has probably led the vehicle to the shape it's in, you’re telling me there is absolutely nothing you can do because the manager at the dealership told you we neglected the car and because we could only provide one receipt where we changed the oil???

She replied "Yes sir unfortunately so... He says there is some kind of black sludge due to not changing the oil, and the one receipt isn't enough proof!" My fiancé asked her if there was some kind of law stating that we had to take our vehicles to an actual dealership to have an oil change and get documentation!? And she replied "No sir there is no law!" We both were just SO upset and mad that he just hung up on her and turned around to head back to the dealerships service station but they had already closed! I just cried the whole way home! Thinking... what am I going to do!? I have no vehicle. I haven't had one for a month now. And it's all up to me to fix it now! I went and talked to my father about it, because I didn't know what to do and needed his advice since his name was on the loan as well!

He advised me to look into the "Lemon Law"... so I did! In the meantime I called the dealership to ask them where the vehicle was because I needed to have it towed back to the house until I figured out what to do. I didn't know if they still had it in the shop or had already shoved it out back like he said! He told me that yes it out back AND before they could even release the vehicle to us that I needed to take care of my bill for 600 dollars where they tore the motor apart to diagnose the problem and put it back together! Which I wasn't aware of... but he said I was because I signed a paper that stated that! Okay. Not only do I not have a vehicle but I just had to make the monthly payment on it which was 300 dollars but NOW I gotta come up with 600 dollars just to get the keys and have it towed outta there! In the meantime someone contacted me from a law firm through the "Lemon Law" website I went on!

They told me I needed to get all the information on the vehicle and a copy of the warranty and all documentation that the dealership had record of from previous times I had the vehicle to them! So I did... only to get told that where I declined to have the "oil consumption diagnostic test" done before, that they wouldn't look into my case! What do I do now? My father called over to the dealership to tell them the vehicle was gonna have to sit for a while because I was still trying to come up with the 600 dollars to pay them! He asked them how much it would cost for them to just replace the motor, and for a new motor from "GM" 2 year warranty I do believe it was going to be around 7 thousand dollars, BUT they called around and found a used one with low mileage for 2,500! As of now mine had around 88,000 miles on it! I put a little 20,000 miles on it from the time I bought it!

My father and I decided to just try and pay to have a used motor put in it because there was no way either one of us could come up with 7 thousand dollars for a new motor! We went to the bank where the loan was through and tried to have it refinanced, and get an extra 3000 to get it fixed, and that was a no go! We went to several other places to try and get a loan even just until I got my tax return in a few months and was able to pay it back and nowhere would help us out, as I stated before... My credit is not good, and my father’s debt to ratio was too much! What do I even do now? I’ve been without a vehicle for over a month, still making the payments on it and the motor is blew up, and I can't even get the money to fix it!

I was in such a mess over this vehicle and so upset and stressed out on top of other things going on in my life that the only thing I could think of to do is file "bankruptcy"... So I made an appointment with a lawyer and gathered up all the information I needed to take to my appointment, and one of the things I had to do was get my credit report and write down everything I owed! When I looked at my credit report I noticed that the loan for the vehicle wasn't even showing up, and that was the whole reason I was going to file "bankruptcy". Come to find out, my name isn't even on the loan! Just my father’s name. So that's a no go!

So NOW it has been almost 2 months since I have been without a vehicle and dealt with all this **, and it's still sitting over to the dealership in their building out back, with no way of getting it fixed until February or March when I get my tax return, and this WHOLE mess has now become all on my poor father (which just found out he has skin cancer on his nose) because the vehicle is only in his name! I have never in my life been in such a situation where I feel so helpless and like a total failure! I don't even know what to think, or say or even do about this mess! I'm clueless! That's my experience with GM Motors!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

GMC service reps informed us that the GMC 3500 trucks can sometimes have major problems with fuel system. Causing metal particles to travel throughout the engine and other parts. Had to leave my car truck for 20 days at George's Chevrolet to be repaired. Not only did they not repair my truck properly the 1st time but the only loaner they could give me was a Chevrolet 1500 Silverado that not only leaked oil but didn't have the horsepower that I needed to pull my trailer. I'm a landscaper and I'm self-employed and need all my equipment for work, i.e. my GMC 3500 to pull trailer. I incurred loss of wages/revenue due to leaks from loaner truck and unable to pull equipment. GMC stepped in and assured me after several telephone calls later that I would be compensated for my loss of revenue and as a dissatisfied experience at George's Chevrolet. Again after several other calls we finally agreed on compensation and that was basically an extended warranty.

After several months later we still haven't received extended warranty that was promised by Gilbert, GMC customer assistance. Gilbert called me several times to follow up and assure me it was approved and I would be able to take truck anywhere to get serviced in 2 days, 2 times this month. I received an email stating that I would have to wait another week. I took the day off of work to get my truck serviced and I am unable to do that now until I actually get documentation stating I can do so. When I called Gilbert at GMC asking him why he misled me he simply said I was wrong and there is nothing I can do about it. In other words "OH WELL". I now need to wait for my documents to get my "WORK TRUCK" serviced and hope it doesn't break down or cause any further damages to my engine.

This has been a nightmare. Not only has it hurt my wallet but my reputation as a dependable landscaper to my clients. As a self-employed landscaper my dependability is everything to stayed employed and get new clients/references. This has really cost me more than they can ever comprehend. As a long time and loyal customer to GMC I am very dissatisfied to say the least and will never recommend this company again. As soon as I can afford to get a new truck I will definitely not get another GMC. I know now that they are not dependable/reliable vehicles nor do they care about their consumers.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

2016 Yukon XL AC condenser went out along with thousands of other GM models. I don’t understand why they will not recall this when there is a faulty welding issue. Part in back order since May of 2016!!! So not fair when you spend $70,000 on a car and the AC goes out in a year. I had a 2010 Suburban BF this Yukon that had electrical issues GM knew about and wouldn’t recall! NEVER EVER again will I buy a GM product and I’ve had them for the last 20 years buying a new one every 3-4 years. There should be some class action suit to get these condensers fixed on GM’s dollar. Not someone who just spent 70k on a luxury SUV! So frustrated.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

Purchased used vehicle in 2015. 1 year later transmission failed (2008 Saturn Vue XR). Turns out to be 3-5-r waveplate. Part was not heat treated to spec in this year’s vehicle (faulty part). Should have been a recall for this problem. GM finally honored coverage of said repairs but only 120,000 miles or less. My vehicle had 123,000 miles when this happened. GM would not honor repairs even though the said faulty part was installed into transmission during assembly.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

I have a 2014 Chev Sonic, all 4 wheels are rusted, I went to the GM dealer and he told me that it was poor quality metal because they were made in Korea. Needed to contact GM. After 2 weeks of no news, I contacted GM customer service. They would check into it, 3 weeks later they told me there was no warranty but the dealer would paint them. The dealer said we would order the paint. That was in late June. They have still not contacted me. I went back last week to the dealer because the top center of the rubber steering wheel is worn smooth, not cover and no explication as why. I worked for GM dealers for 37 years and have seen a lot that was passed under warranty that should not have. The car is under 3 years old and less than 50,000 kilometers. I was a GM man all my life but that is over now. Never again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about General Motors?

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

I talked to a GM "ambassador" about getting off-warranty work done this month. My 2005 GMC Canyon warranty was extended to 2013 or 160,000km because of valve problems. My vehicle had 108,946km on it when the check engine light came. A Tirecraft shop examined the truck and said I had burnt valves. I phoned the GM rep and was told to take it to a GM dealership to confirm that. The dealership charged me $368.98 to confirm what Tirecraft had diagnosed for only $221.66. The dealership said that they would only knock 5% off the $6000 repair bill. GM knows how much these repairs cost so the company rep should have been up front with me about what could be done before I took the truck in. I wasted my time as the repairs are more than my truck is worth. GM had no plans to help me even before I brought my truck in.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

I took my vehicle (2012 Equinox) to the dealership to have my piston rings replaced due to a recall. After having them replaced there was a noise coming from under the hood. I asked the dealership what was this noise, after having my vehicle for a month I was told that the noise is coming from a Vacuum which comes from the pistons not working properly. I was told that I must pay for this to be fixed because its not under warranty. My problem is that if the piston rings caused this and there's a recall for this, then the Vacuum problem should be in recall as well. I contacted GM and they told me the same thing the dealership said but added that this has not been seen in all vehicles. How many have to have this problem for GM to make it their priority? Not fair to pay for something that was caused by a recall!!!

Original review: July 14, 2017

I purchased a 2015 Silverado in December 2015. Advertised MPG is 17/18 City and 21 HWY. According to my calculations AND the truck computer, it averages less than 11 MPG and has never averaged more than 12-13. Even on a long trip, the best MPG I have ever gotten has been in the 14 range. I took it to my dealer and was told that this is consistent with many trucks they see while others get better gas mileage; apparently lots of variation. Important to note that GM has been sued via class action on many other categories of vehicles for the exact same issue and has had to pay large settlements to owners.

I also have a very expensive feature that I paid for called "Radio Time shift." It is a DVR in the radio... one can rewind any radio station up to 15 minutes if you do not change the channel to listen to songs again. The feature does not work. Took to dealer and was told that there is no fix for the problem, in fact GM has a bulletin "PIC6110B: Timeshift Audio Playback Choppy Distorted." Apparently, this is a widespread problem. This "Time shift" feature / option was removed from all GM models the following year (2017).

Original review: June 16, 2017

GM customer care and service department are awful. On May 20th, I purchased a 2016 Camaro 2SS with 2700 miles on it. By May 30th it was acting up and in the shop for warranty work. It is now June 16th, and the dealership still has my car. And that is GM's fault. After a week the dealership was stumped and began requesting assistance from GM. After two weeks of still being stumped, the dealership began requesting a field engineer, since they had not been able to diagnose the issue in over two weeks. GM will not give them an answer.

It's a less than one year old car with 2700 miles on it and it's been in the shop now for three weeks straight and counting, don't you think at this point it's an issue worth expediting? It's not an old car. It has very low mileage and should not have any issues. It's an almost $50,000 car for goodness sake. But in GM fashion they won't move until my attorney contacts them about a lemon law suit, and a civil suit for car payments, registration, taxes, loss of use, and being overall terrible to work with. Oh well, I guess GM doesn't care about another lemon on their record and another lawsuit lost.

Original review: June 1, 2017

Two weeks ago my engine light came on on my 2004 Chevrolet SSR. I took it in for routine maintenance and to have the light checked. About 10 days later, the Dealer contacted me and told me that they were unavailable to obtain the part needed and consequently, the engine light would not go off. The result of the light's staying on is that I am completely unable to use my eight year old vehicle which has fewer than 80,000 miles! I am unable to get the vehicle inspected, unable to sell it and if I were to drive it and something major went wrong I wouldn't know it because the light stays on!

General Motors solution was to give me a list of "internal websites?" in order for me to search for the part myself. I had previously searched approximately twenty sites and a friend who owns a salvage yard is searching salvage yards for me. I have now searched another 29 internet sites GM provided to me and six salvage yards. When I bought this vehicle, I paid between $50,000 and $60,000 for it. It was the first vehicle I had ever bought by myself (following my husband's death). I am wondering if anyone has experience with suing GM over something like this. I consider this vehicle completely unusable and had planned to keep it until passing it down to a child of mine.

Original review: May 20, 2017

Bought brand New in 2011, my wife LOVES it. 2016, Exhaust Manifold & Catalytic Converter cracked. My wife brought it in. Dealer, Goldstein Buick GMC; Albany, NY; was going to charge $3000+ to replace. They Told her there was NO recall with this fix. A third party garage did the work for $1500. I called GMC and was told would 'NOT' be reimbursed because work was done at third party garage. The Rep told me, "Wait a Minute, the garage is not Warranted. "THE TRUCK" is Warranted! Plus, we just saved you Half the Price for the job! Goldstein Buick GMC was going to charge us over $3000!" I looked up online and found 10 recalls with the Terrain. My wife found a letter claim form in her glove box. We filled it out and sent it in with the receipt. Still waiting for a refund. One week later; The Transmission & Transfer Case catastrophic, Mechanical Breakdown. Manufacture Defect. 55,000 miles!! GMC-JUNK. Fighting again.

Original review: May 17, 2017

In October of 2016 the engine light came on, and it was discovered to have been caused by the mass airflow system. I had this part replaced but within a few days the light was on again. I brought the car back to the shop and the part was replaced a second time. Upon test drive, the light again came back on. A third part was ordered and replaced. When the light came on for the fourth time, my mechanic ran through the wiring system but did not find anything out of the ordinary. He ran checks on the gas pedal and various other sensors. He then deduced that the problem was not with any of the sensors, nor any of the mechanical systems in the vehicle. He thought it might be the ECM, but advised me to bring the car to Central Chevrolet to have them look deeper into the issue.

The Astra was taken to Central Chevrolet, where they subsequently ran diagnostics and discovered that the ECM was, in fact, bad. I inquired about purchasing an ECM from a parts site that I will not name, but was informed that GM would be unable to or would not program the computer unless it was an OEM part. At this point, my hands were tied. I would have to spend $700 on the part if I wanted my car to run properly again. I bit the bullet and told them to go ahead and move forward with the repair.

Central Chevrolet received the part and assigned one of their GM technicians to begin the programming. As the process neared completion, the ECM was bricked. A second ECM was purchased and a second, more qualified GM tech was assigned to do the programming. He was on the phone with either a TAC or TISS representative I can't recall which and together they went through the programming process step by step. Again, the programming failed toward the end and bricked the part. It was not until after this second part failed that GM decided to inform the service department at Central Chevrolet that the pre-2009 Saturn software for this part is no longer available.

So here I am now, six months after the engine light first came on and at least six weeks without my vehicle. As I was without the car for several days here and there for troubleshooting between October and March, the inconvenience is even greater. How can GM just let software go away for a car that is not even ten years old? It's software, it's not like it's taking up a bunch of space in a warehouse somewhere. Additionally, how does GM sell a part to a repair shop TWICE without advising that the software required to make it work no longer exists? And then to wait until AFTER the second part bricks?

I called GM's customer service line and spoke with Joe, who sent me to Shaneva. Shaneva informed me that she would call Central Chevrolet for more details, and that I would have to wait 24-72 hours before receiving an update. The call came at the 72nd hour. When Shaneva informed me that in lieu of a resolution, I was being offered an Owner's Loyalty Certification, I asked to be directed to a supervisor. I was told my call would be returned within 24-48 hours. I received no response within that time frame, and I actually had to call back again.

I have since retrieved my car from Central Chevrolet. It is now in much worse condition than it was when I brought it in, and the vehicle is simply not safe to drive. I expected the original issue to still be a problem. I did NOT expect to be left with a car that I can no longer drive AT ALL! I have been a GM customer/vehicle owner for over 20 years, and I have never had a problem, until now. I am extremely disappointed in the way this situation has been unfolding. When I purchase a car, I expect it to get old and to need repairs. I also expect to have the choice of whether to make those repairs. In this situation, not only do I have no choice, but GM has the gall to offer me an Owner's Loyalty Certificate with the expectation that I would purchase another GM product.

Original review: April 19, 2017

I own a 09 Saturn Vue and have been pretty happy with it till now. My Saturn seems to be having transmission problems, the gears keep getting stuck which causing the engine light to come but after a day or two it goes away on its own. I experienced this problem now twice. Found a letter from Saturn stating some models had a fractured wave plate which would cause tranny to slip gears, low 3rd or 4th gear etc.

I took my car to GM to drop-off service. Advisor tells me I would pay 120 if it wasn't the wave plate. I get a call today stating they need me to authorize a 1600 charge for them taking apart my transmission which it could be under warranty or it could be not. Long story short I would not authorize that since I was never told that when I first came in. The manager was arguing with my boyfriend and I left with my Saturn Vue being untouched. They didn't even care that my car could possibly have that issue and they would have to honor that at no charge. So they try to get money another way. Sneaky GM. It's sad they won't even look at the car that's a Product of their GM motors. Horrible!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2017

Timing chain defective product. 2010 Cadillac SRX 63k Cadillac dealer certified - told GM has recalled earlier years, product development issue! Needs a RECALL and EXTENDED WARRANTY. Told cost is 2600.00.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2016

I paid thousands for the GM extended warranty protection plan to get denied on a catalytic converter that is shot. The vehicle is 2 years old and under the federal emissions act warranty and even under my extended warranty. Nowhere on that protection plan paperwork states this would not be covered. I called GM direct and got a run around stating the vehicle was used and that is why it’s getting denied. Then their next excuse was in their records I was a third owner of the vehicle which is not fact. I'm the only owner of the vehicle. Then I get “We cannot help you due to you exceeded the miles by 6K so sorry.”

Now I have a bill in the thousands after shelling thousands out upfront first so I would be protected from incidences like this. My vehicle is a 2014 Chevy Cruze with 86K miles. I purchased it certified used with 8k miles. I have an extended GM warranty that covers up to 108K miles. Instead GM and the GM Extended Warranty Protection Plan denied my case. I am now seeking the attorney general. Also GM refused to give me my case number.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2016

I bought a new vehicle 2014 Chevy Camaro with a v6 3.7 engine and GM didn't think it was necessary to install a low oil sensor in their engines. Recently I changed my oil as I have always on time when prompted to. And replaced oil filter cap and the o-ring did not seal properly so needless to say without any warning lights or anything the engine pumped out 5 1/2 quarts of much needed 6 total of my oil. Didn't realize anything was wrong until the engine started making a loud noise. Of course GM says they're not responsible for this mistake because I changed my own oil. But I ask GM why I can buy a $99 lawn mower with a low oil sensor in the engine to protect my investment but a $26,000 Camaro does not have a low oil sensor in the engine to protect my investment. I said even if I fix the car myself this can happen again.

I have always been a Chevy man but this just makes no sense to me why they would not invest another $20-$30 to protect what the dealer said will cost me now at least $9500 for a new engine, which I totally disagree with because it's only ticking and may not need a new engine but for now and the next 4-5 yrs. I'll be paying very high payments on a yellow lemon yard ornament... this should be a recall. There's no excuse for this type of manufacturing, very disappointed in the brand I've bragged about for many years. If this is their best they can build for consumers, they should stop building cars. At this point, I can promise I will always tell people about the warning of the disrespect for consumer investment that GM does not care one damn bit about you after you purchase their product. Thank you, Rick... a very disappointed consumer.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2016

On October 28 I made a deal to purchase a new 2017 GMC crew cab 1500 Z71. At that time I put a thousand dollars down to hold the vehicle and signed a contract stating the price will not change unless come November 1 GMC changes any rebates. On November 1st I called my salesman to let him know I was coming in November 2nd to pay cash for the truck and asked for a total amount due including tax and title, which at the time was CONFIRMED as being the AGREED amount when I put money down to hold the truck because the rebates had not changed November 1st by General Motors.

When I came in to pay for the truck November 2nd the price had increased over $2400.00 which Dennis Dillon stated GMC had actually taken off some cash back incentive on that particular VIN #... I asked for a meeting to speak with upper management which I could not get for a few days stating he had sent a text of the situation at hand... My salesman said it would not make a difference and the price was not going to adjust and basically either buy it or don't. They sell so many vehicles daily it won't matter what was signed and agreed upon previously because this is General Motors' doings and out of Dennis Dillon control.

I personally feel my wife and I were mislead and there is some dishonesty involved because when all the rebates were presented to me and my wife at the time of money collected and a signed purchase agreement to hold the truck, never was this hidden GMC rebate EVER discussed nor a factor in the pricing of the vehicle???? So I had GMC accessories installed on the truck before I picked it up and set up the way I wanted it and we still bought the truck!!! Figuring we would get some answers from the dealership later when we reached out or GMC on their survey report which I still have not received?!! It was a horrible experience especially being a Ford consumer switching to General Motors.

I have reached out to upper management at Dennis Dillon since the purchase trying to get an honest response to my concerns and I have yet to be contacted back after several attempts, even after filling out their survey they sent for my experience! I would like to see if there is ANYONE at General Motors that can explain this to me as being true or if Dennis Dillon was being dishonest throwing General Motors under the Rug as the bad guy to increase a sale. If not then why was this hidden rebate by General Motors never mentioned as a potential rebate I could lose come the first of November affecting the price change of the vehicle by over $2400.00? Had I known this I would have purchased the vehicle before November 1st because my salesman said he highly doubted the rebates to change.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2016

I have a 2014 Chevrolet Silverado. Transmission went out 200 miles out of warranty. Never hauled or pulled anything out of the ordinary or out of what the specs allow for the truck. Obviously being a issue with transmission before the warranty was up, GM refuses any assistance at all. Said because I didn't buy it from a GM dealership, there is nothing they will do. So please be very careful buying any GM vehicle from anyone. They will not stand behind what they make, and you will be treated the same way I was.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2016

My transmission failed in my Saturn close to 100,000 miles. I bought a remanufactured transmission from GM which cost over $5,000 dollars. Over $1,200 to install. Lasted 16 months and 9,400 miles. GM/Saturn said I'm over the year so although I'm so far under the mileage they said "sorry can't help you". 9,400 miles for over $6,000 dollars. They are selling us defective items and stealing our money. Shame on them and I hope all future consumers boycott GM. They could care less about you and are ripping us off. No more GM products and I'm spreading the word to all friends, family, and any way I can get the word out. Everyone I know can't believe how they treat people. Shame on all of you and I hope no one is stupid enough to bail you out again. You don't deserve it.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2016

I recently ordered and Purchased a Camaro. Unfortunately I was in car accident, therefore I had to have my new camaro repaired. I took it to a chevy dealership to have all the repairs done. Three weeks ago the dealership ordered black rally stripe decals to go on the hood of the Camaro. The dealership still has not had an expected date of arrival from GM on when the stripes will arrive. I could have had my car back three weeks ago all completed. I do not understand why it takes this long to make black rally stripes that goes on the hood of a Camaro and have them shipped to the proper place in a timely manner.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2016

Just got off the highway thank God and the brakes went completely out. Putting me and my children in danger because the car wouldn't stop sending me into oncoming traffic to avoid hitting cars in front of me. This is horrible that GM won't do anything about this problem.

General Motors Company Information