General Motors

Compare Car Brands

Research top Car Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I own a 09 Saturn Vue and have been pretty happy with it till now. My Saturn seems to be having transmission problems, the gears keep getting stuck which causing the engine light to come but after a day or two it goes away on its own. I experienced this problem now twice. Found a letter from Saturn stating some models had a fractured wave plate which would cause tranny to slip gears, low 3rd or 4th gear etc.

I took my car to GM to drop-off service. Advisor tells me I would pay 120 if it wasn't the wave plate. I get a call today stating they need me to authorize a 1600 charge for them taking apart my transmission which it could be under warranty or it could be not. Long story short I would not authorize that since I was never told that when I first came in. The manager was arguing with my boyfriend and I left with my Saturn Vue being untouched. They didn't even care that my car could possibly have that issue and they would have to honor that at no charge. So they try to get money another way. Sneaky GM. It's sad they won't even look at the car that's a Product of their GM motors. Horrible!

Timing chain defective product. 2010 Cadillac SRX 63k Cadillac dealer certified - told GM has recalled earlier years, product development issue! Needs a RECALL and EXTENDED WARRANTY. Told cost is 2600.00.

I paid thousands for the GM extended warranty protection plan to get denied on a catalytic converter that is shot. The vehicle is 2 years old and under the federal emissions act warranty and even under my extended warranty. Nowhere on that protection plan paperwork states this would not be covered. I called GM direct and got a run around stating the vehicle was used and that is why it’s getting denied. Then their next excuse was in their records I was a third owner of the vehicle which is not fact. I'm the only owner of the vehicle. Then I get “We cannot help you due to you exceeded the miles by 6K so sorry.”

Now I have a bill in the thousands after shelling thousands out upfront first so I would be protected from incidences like this. My vehicle is a 2014 Chevy Cruze with 86K miles. I purchased it certified used with 8k miles. I have an extended GM warranty that covers up to 108K miles. Instead GM and the GM Extended Warranty Protection Plan denied my case. I am now seeking the attorney general. Also GM refused to give me my case number.

I bought a new vehicle 2014 Chevy Camaro with a v6 3.7 engine and GM didn't think it was necessary to install a low oil sensor in their engines. Recently I changed my oil as I have always on time when prompted to. And replaced oil filter cap and the o-ring did not seal properly so needless to say without any warning lights or anything the engine pumped out 5 1/2 quarts of much needed 6 total of my oil. Didn't realize anything was wrong until the engine started making a loud noise. Of course GM says they're not responsible for this mistake because I changed my own oil. But I ask GM why I can buy a $99 lawn mower with a low oil sensor in the engine to protect my investment but a $26,000 Camaro does not have a low oil sensor in the engine to protect my investment. I said even if I fix the car myself this can happen again.

I have always been a Chevy man but this just makes no sense to me why they would not invest another $20-$30 to protect what the dealer said will cost me now at least $9500 for a new engine, which I totally disagree with because it's only ticking and may not need a new engine but for now and the next 4-5 yrs. I'll be paying very high payments on a yellow lemon yard ornament... this should be a recall. There's no excuse for this type of manufacturing, very disappointed in the brand I've bragged about for many years. If this is their best they can build for consumers, they should stop building cars. At this point, I can promise I will always tell people about the warning of the disrespect for consumer investment that GM does not care one damn bit about you after you purchase their product. Thank you, Rick... a very disappointed consumer.

On October 28 I made a deal to purchase a new 2017 GMC crew cab 1500 Z71. At that time I put a thousand dollars down to hold the vehicle and signed a contract stating the price will not change unless come November 1 GMC changes any rebates. On November 1st I called my salesman to let him know I was coming in November 2nd to pay cash for the truck and asked for a total amount due including tax and title, which at the time was CONFIRMED as being the AGREED amount when I put money down to hold the truck because the rebates had not changed November 1st by General Motors.

When I came in to pay for the truck November 2nd the price had increased over $2400.00 which Dennis Dillon stated GMC had actually taken off some cash back incentive on that particular VIN #... I asked for a meeting to speak with upper management which I could not get for a few days stating he had sent a text of the situation at hand... My salesman said it would not make a difference and the price was not going to adjust and basically either buy it or don't. They sell so many vehicles daily it won't matter what was signed and agreed upon previously because this is General Motors' doings and out of Dennis Dillon control.

I personally feel my wife and I were mislead and there is some dishonesty involved because when all the rebates were presented to me and my wife at the time of money collected and a signed purchase agreement to hold the truck, never was this hidden GMC rebate EVER discussed nor a factor in the pricing of the vehicle???? So I had GMC accessories installed on the truck before I picked it up and set up the way I wanted it and we still bought the truck!!! Figuring we would get some answers from the dealership later when we reached out or GMC on their survey report which I still have not received?!! It was a horrible experience especially being a Ford consumer switching to General Motors.

I have reached out to upper management at Dennis Dillon since the purchase trying to get an honest response to my concerns and I have yet to be contacted back after several attempts, even after filling out their survey they sent for my experience! I would like to see if there is ANYONE at General Motors that can explain this to me as being true or if Dennis Dillon was being dishonest throwing General Motors under the Rug as the bad guy to increase a sale. If not then why was this hidden rebate by General Motors never mentioned as a potential rebate I could lose come the first of November affecting the price change of the vehicle by over $2400.00? Had I known this I would have purchased the vehicle before November 1st because my salesman said he highly doubted the rebates to change.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about General Motors?

I have a 2014 Chevrolet Silverado. Transmission went out 200 miles out of warranty. Never hauled or pulled anything out of the ordinary or out of what the specs allow for the truck. Obviously being a issue with transmission before the warranty was up, GM refuses any assistance at all. Said because I didn't buy it from a GM dealership, there is nothing they will do. So please be very careful buying any GM vehicle from anyone. They will not stand behind what they make, and you will be treated the same way I was.

My transmission failed in my Saturn close to 100,000 miles. I bought a remanufactured transmission from GM which cost over $5,000 dollars. Over $1,200 to install. Lasted 16 months and 9,400 miles. GM/Saturn said I'm over the year so although I'm so far under the mileage they said "sorry can't help you". 9,400 miles for over $6,000 dollars. They are selling us defective items and stealing our money. Shame on them and I hope all future consumers boycott GM. They could care less about you and are ripping us off. No more GM products and I'm spreading the word to all friends, family, and any way I can get the word out. Everyone I know can't believe how they treat people. Shame on all of you and I hope no one is stupid enough to bail you out again. You don't deserve it.

I recently ordered and Purchased a Camaro. Unfortunately I was in car accident, therefore I had to have my new camaro repaired. I took it to a chevy dealership to have all the repairs done. Three weeks ago the dealership ordered black rally stripe decals to go on the hood of the Camaro. The dealership still has not had an expected date of arrival from GM on when the stripes will arrive. I could have had my car back three weeks ago all completed. I do not understand why it takes this long to make black rally stripes that goes on the hood of a Camaro and have them shipped to the proper place in a timely manner.

Just got off the highway thank God and the brakes went completely out. Putting me and my children in danger because the car wouldn't stop sending me into oncoming traffic to avoid hitting cars in front of me. This is horrible that GM won't do anything about this problem.

General Motors Company Profile