2. Automotive
  3. Car Brands

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.21/5

General Motors, also called GM, is a major national auto manufacturer of trucks, SUVs, crossovers and vans under several different brands. Read reviews for their models:

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Find my match

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Find my match

General Motors Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about General Motors?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about General Motors?

Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

Their customer service team doesn't return phone calls, when you finally get ahold of someone, they have absolutely no concern or care for their customers. My $50,000 truck had a transmission issue at just over 70k miles because of the OE fluid and GMC offered me a $50 off coupon for my next visit. No offer to take care of the expense caused by a subpar fluid put in at the factory. Their tech service bulletin specifically stated the first step to the repair was replace the OE fluid with Mobile 1 transmission fluid, if that doesn't correct the issue, replace the torque converter. This is a well known problem and yet they leave their loyal customers to absorb the repair expenses.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2020

My NEW 2020 Chevrolet Traverse purchased October 2019 has had the following issues: malfunction in wheel assembly (scary), emissions issues, back doors offset, paint peeling on Chevy bow, defective tire gauge, electrical issues, and recalls. Car under 1 year old and no accidents. I will NEVER buy another Chevrolet Traverse.

Get buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2020

I bought this car last year and before the year was over, I had to take it back to the dealership at the very least four times. I complained to GM, and they said that in order to be able to POSSIBLY HELP ME, I had to take it to the dealership again! Was four times not enough! I am traumatized to drive that car, and I do not recommend to ANYONE!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

I purchased a 2018 GMC Terrain Denali in April of 2018. I have gone past the warranty period and I have noticed the paint has been coming off the rocker on both sides of the vehicle and now rusting. I contacted GM Canada customer service and after waiting almost 5 weeks for a answer if they would do anything the robot who called me said since it's out of warranty and there's no recalls on the paint there's nothing they will do. They are saying it's from my shoes. I wear running shoes all the time I have had a lot of gm cars and so has my son with a lot more mileage and never had this happen. I guess this shows me that gm doesn't care about its customers. My next purchase will definitely not be a gm product.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2020

I purchased a 2020 Yukon Denali at the end of December 2019. I have purchased a new Yukon or Tahoe every year since 1996. My experiences in the past have been generally great since I'm always driving a vehicle with very low mileage and always still under warranty. This 2020 model had only 7000 miles on it when several service lights started to appear on the instrument panel. These included ABS braking system, Stabilitrack, Forward collision system, Cruise control, and Trailer brake system. Any of these can be serious safety issues.

I brought it in immediately to my dealer in Branson, Missouri, Pinegar GMC around the first week in July. They checked it out and said it was a faulty module of some sort that controls all those things and they should have the part in a few days. It has been 2 months and they not only still do not have the part but cannot say when it will ever show up. My question is why can't they get one off the assembly line since they are obviously building these cars every day and must need these modules to keep production going? Very poor communication and customer service.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2020

If there’s one person who gets injured or killed because of the incompetence of someone or a company then that’s too many. There are too many people having trouble with vehicles that are defective before they are purchased, including me. General Motors should pay everyone who purchases a vehicle of theirs that is faulty for repairs, injuries, etc.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2020

With only 8000 miles on my truck I already have about ten chips in my pain and the undercarriage is rusting. You would think that a truck this expensive would have good coatings on it. This truck will rust away on anyone who buys it.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2020

2015 Silverado 1500 with 5.3 bought with 76k miles from dealership in Jan 2017. Got it home to find it needed rear struts after hearing a squeaking sound. I love the truck but it’s financed so I have no choice but to keep repairing the things that go wrong. In less than 120k miles it got: rear struts, AC lines and condenser, and an ENGINE. Yes an entire replacement engine due to spinning a lifter and wiping out the cam leaving debris throughout the engine. No wonder there are so many used engines available. Plastic lifter guides, cheap terrible design. Wife and I were looking to upgrade her Cruze (which also got a new transmission at 87k miles) with a new Blazer. Between both our GM vehicles and the tons spent to repair them we went with the Nissan Murano instead. I have always been a die hard Chevy guy but I will never buy another new one as long as I live.

Original review: July 29, 2020

I have a 2015 Silverado 1500 and generally love the truck. However I recently noticed clearcoat is peeling all around truck. This is abnormal. Professional paint shop says faulty paint job. Dealer says they won't help. GM customer service says not their problem. This is not right. It clearly is a manufacturer issue that I'm sure others are experiencing. I would like help from GM but nothing. I had 1997 Sierra with perfect paint to day I sold it. I've had and have 2 Buick Enclaves with no issues. This is a Silverado issue that GM and dealers not standing behind. Beware.

Original review: July 13, 2020

The following is a list or reasons why I feel General Motors needs to bear the expense incurred in this situation, the failure of the turbocharger cooling tube.

1. The part which failed was not available at the Flagstaff dealership and was only available from the parts warehouse in Reno Nevada.
    2. We offered several times to pay the expense to expedited the shipping of the part to the Flagstaff dealership from the GM parts warehouse in Reno by air, FedEx, Purolator or DHL. The Flagstaff dealer and GM turned us down both times.
    3. GM’s inability to track the part from the GM parts warehouse in Reno and were not able to give us a clear delivery date. The part did not arrive until 13 days after it was ordered. Had we known the part would be in Flagstaff on a specific date we would have stayed in Flagstaff until the part arrived and the truck was fixed. As it was the dealership could not tell us when it would be there.

4. This vehicle is under full warranty and only has 13890 kms.

Here is a summary of events leading up to these excessive expenses. On March 17 this year, my wife and I were driving home back to Canada from Phoenix, Arizona. We were 20 miles south of Page, Arizona when the charger cooler tube on the turbo unit failed. We called AAA and had the truck and our trailer towed back to the nearest GM dealership, which was in Flagstaff.

We met with the Service Advisor the next day, Wednesday March 18, and by 11 am the part was found at the GM parts depot in Reno Nevada and would be at the Flagstaff dealership 6 days later on Monday March 23. Because we were concerned the Canada/US border was closing, and with the excessive amount of time it was going to take to ship the part to the dealer, we offered several times to pay for the expense to expedited the shipping of the part to the Flagstaff dealership from the GM parts warehouse in Reno by air, FedEx, Purolator or DHL. The Flagstaff dealer and GM turned us down both times.

Please note Reno is just over 700 miles (1132 kms) from Flagstaff. The parts did not arrive on Monday March 23. We met again with the Service Manager on Monday but were told the parts had not arrived and would arrive Wednesday March 25. Wednesday March 25 the parts did not arrive. The Flagstaff dealership said the parts were somewhere between Reno and Flagstaff and that GM did not have the ability to track any parts. They said the parts may arrive Monday March 30. At this point we decided to rent a truck ($2000 US) and tow our trailer back to Canada. Again both the US and Canadian Governments were threatening to close the borders. We left Thursday morning March 26 after stopping by the dealership one last time to see if the parts had arrived. The part still had not arrived.

The parts finally arrived Monday March 30, 13 days after the parts were ordered and the truck repaired Tuesday March 31. Because the border between Canada and US now remains closed, the only way I could get the truck back was to have it shipped back into Canada is by a commercial transport company. The Flagstaff dealership said GM might offer to pay for the transport of the truck between Flagstaff and Great Falls Montana. I offered to pay for the remaining transport between Great Falls and Calgary. Again GM declined.

Also why is it that only Cadillacs quality for a free 800 mile/km tow while other GM vehicles don’t? My total bill to transport the truck from the Flagstaff dealership to Lethbridge Canada was $1350 US, ($1995 Can). Cole International’s charges for inter-border documents was $150 Can. So I have spent over $5000 Canadian on a part that maybe worth $100 all because GM didn’t have the required part at the dealership, could not track the part from their warehouse in Reno and give us a clear delivery date, and would not let us pay to have the part fast-tracked from the warehouse in Reno to the dealership in Flagstaff. I finally picked up my truck today May 11, 2020 from the Davis GMC dealership in Lethbridge. I haven’t heard back from GM Customer Service Canada since I sent in all of my expenses at the end of May and I don’t expect to hear back from them.

General Motors Company Information