3.37/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

General Motors

General Motors, also called GM, is a major national auto manufacturer of trucks, SUVs, crossovers and vans under several different brands. This company is not yet accredited. To learn more, see reviews below or submit your own. Want to know more about ConsumerAffairs accredited brands? Check out ConsumerAffairs for Brands. Read reviews for their models:

View More View More

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

General Motors Reviews

Original review: Nov. 17, 2019

I purchased a 2011 Chevy Impala LTZ from King Auto in 2012. It was certified pre-owned with very low mileage. It came with warranty coverage, but luckily I purchased additional extended warranty coverage. My first problem I had was the rack & pinion needing to be replaced. Then one day there was a knocking noise coming from the dashboard area, that turned out to be the acuator valves needing to be replaced. I had to go to the dealer twice about the acuator valves needing to be replaced. The acuator valves and rack & pinion problem was in 2013. For the next 3 years I did not experience any major problems, but in May of 2016 my L.E.D. readout display said SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL - SERVICE STABILITRAK!!

Immediately after seeing that display, I experienced major engine failure and other mechanical problems. This happened without warning. My car was towed to Ourisman Chevy and they said that the engine needed to be replaced. The Chevy Impala only had 78,000 miles and it needed a new engine. My warranty plan paid for the engine to be replaced.

Fast forward November 11, 2019. I'm coming from visiting my mother. My Chevy is riding smooth, no problems. Then suddenly without warning, my check engine light begins flashing, the motor starts rumbling and losing power, and the display says SERVICE STABILITRAK - SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL. The same problem from 2013 happened again. Plus my Onstar daignostic report confirmed the same problems.

The next day I'm at the dealership, Ourisman Chevy, and after hours of diagnosing my car they bring me to the back of the shop, and the mechanic working on my car shows and tell me that my pistons were misfiring thousands of times and that the camshaft was damaged. He said there was no way to repair the damage and that the engine would have to be replaced. The service tech then tells me that it's only going to cost $4,500 plus other expenses to get my Chevy back on the road. My car had 126,014 miles on the odometer.

I want to say that my extended warranty company at the time replaced my engine with an engine that had 38,000 miles on it, and my car had 78,000 miles when the engine went bad in 2013. This means that the second engine only lasted for a little more than 48,000 miles. I want to also add that my neighbor and co-worker also owned the same Chevy, same year, and the also experienced the same exact problem with the rack & pinion, acuator valves and ultimately the STABILITRAK SYSTEM failing thereby causing all 3 of us disappointment in this product. My co-worker stated that his car had 126,000 miles when his STABILITRAK SYSTEM and other problems occurred. My neighbor and co-worker had to replace their Chevy's too.

On November 11, 2019 when my Chevy Impala died for the second time with the same problem, I did not have an extended warranty. I will never purchase another Chevy product. I am terribly disappointed, and I hope that they read this review. I also hope that they have corrected the STABILITRAK SYSTEM on the newer Chevy Impala's.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

I purchased a 2019 Chevy Camaro in June 2019 due to a car accident and my previous car being totaled which was a Dodge (Challenger). I had the Camaro for 90 days then had to put it in the shop due to safety issues! Passenger Airbag broken! This is a brand new car in which I should not be experiencing these type of problems. My car has been in the shop for almost 2 months now due to GM being on strike and the part to fix my car has not been available and no one can tell me when. I was told GM would not give me a new car but would compensate me once the problem is fixed! **! I'm having to pay a car note for a BRAND NEW CAR that I can't even enjoy! VERY UPSETTING! I'm totally dissatisfied with GM and I wish I never purchased this car! Should've just stuck with DODGE!

Get expert buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

My dealership attempted to assist me in filing a claim with GMC warranty department regarding my rims peeling. My bumper to bumper warranty expired a few hundred miles ago. I only have 36,000 miles on my vehicle and I haven't even owned it for two years. GMC is attempting to state that I used harsh cleaner and will be responsible for replacing the rims. My dealership doesn't agree and believes it is a manufacturing defect.

I researched the internet and found that many people have had the same issue. Those that still had a warranty were able to get them replaced but those that reported it after the warranty period were denied. Carla with GMC warranty was very rude and disrespectful. I asked to speak to management or another person and she stated rudely "I am the final decision." Is this really how you treat your customers? While fighting this issue my gear shifter went out in my vehicle. This vehicle has more issues than my Toyota ever had with 75,000 miles on it! I do not recommend the 2017 Arcadia Denali to anyone.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

After being in the automotive business for over 28 years I have never seen a worse handling of a service situation in all my life!! Had a 2018 Premier Equinox that broke down about 3 hours from my home in June, was towed to a dealer in Barrie and had to arrange a way to get home. First 3 weeks they couldn't determine what was wrong with it, finally after a month they think they figured it out and had to order a part. Heard nothing back as part was on backorder. After about 5 or 6 weeks they received the part, tried to repair it then said the part was defective! Waited for another part, in this time spent hours of conversations with GM Canada as to how we would resolve this issue as we were now over 3 months in to this vehicle being broken down.

4 months passed still no resolution and on top of it all because we are a company they would not cover cost of a rental so we are now a third of a year with a useless $35,000 car that won't run and not having a loaner and having to find alternative vehicle at our expense. Tried to get GM Canada to give us info on legal dept so we can pursue compensation on our loss, they refused (Sherri) at the customer care centre, (not sure why it's called that as there is no client care!) This continues for more time, they refuse to supply a loaner, refuse to help with any compensation or offer a vehicle buyback which would be the normal thing to do but just kept waiting and waiting, after 5 months almost a half a year they finally get a part and repair the vehicle.

We asked for something as simple as having the vehicle flat-bedded here to save us from going all the way there in 2 cars to pick it up but they refuse to do that either so we spend more money to send 2 cars to go get it!! The care centre simply hung up, stopped communicating and refused to speak to us or give us any contact to take this to the next level. We will lose thousand of dollars on this transaction and they refuse to even discuss any solution to this issue, it is unbelievable how they treat people and I highly recommend anyone who is looking for a GM vehicle to stay far away from this car company!!!

The dealership in Barrie, Georgian is not to blame and did all they could but the parent company GM Canada is a total joke!! To just put the cherry on top of all this, when we got the vehicle back here we received a towing bill from GM for $160 lol!!! Like I said worst customer service ever in the history of the business and I wish nothing but terrible things for them in the future how ever short lived that may be...

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

I bought my son a new 2019 Silverado. We have had nothing but problems. This latest repair the truck has been going on 2 month and still not fixed. The dealership blames GM. GM senior advisor won’t return my calls.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about General Motors?

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

I’m so disappointed and it’s too much to type so long story short. Paid $75k for a vehicle that I purchased out of town. 209 miles later I’m stuck. Customer service guy said he’s in the Philippines. Can’t get any higher and someone will contact me within 2 business days. Can’t get a loaner and it’s a part on back order that they don’t know when it will be in. My last GM product. I will write reviews and blogs on every platform I can!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2019

In 2016 I bought A CPO GMC 1500 Denali. The truck has 14k miles on it. I had planned on buying a brand new truck but this one was beautiful. Supposedly was the General manager's and so forth. I purchased the best warranty they could offer, the truck had been wonderful until 56,000 miles was when the first set of tie rods went out. The dealership stated those will not be covered under warranty that they are wearable items. Ok then. $800.

At 61k miles my air conditioner stopped. This however was not under warranty due wasn’t a major component. Another $600. Ok and it worked half the time, took back to dealer and their response was, "We cannot figure it out...." Let’s move forward. 83k. Again went in for in inspection and tie rods again were bad another $800. Ok.... this time GM changed them from aluminum to steel telling me they had a new design (even though I had to pay).

Ok this time I had maybe they were fixed and this would be it with my tie rods. Let’s fast-forward to 110,000 miles my truck beginning to act weird during takeoff. Take to dealership to find out that my transmission needed replaced. I had bought and the vehicle in 2016 and was told and also my contract that the truck would have 100,000 mile powertrain warranty. GMC only offered me 10% to help repair.

So I ended up paying $4,234. I was completely Suprised with them. I was confused. They said my CPO warranty started in 2013 but my truck was model year 2014. I had a good friend living in Texas at this time who had a 2016 Chevy Tahoe with 92,000 miles on this. We have been friends since kindergarten which is over 30 years and Always Drove Chevys. His transmission was also bad and needs replaced. Shortly after getting the transmission fixed I took my vehicle to another dealership and hearing squeaking sounds while I was out of town. Guess what? Ball joints and tie rods. This time $1300. I have owned 47 GMC trucks my entire life. My personal company fleet were and I use the word were GMCs (will no longer will be).

I have my old Denali 2004 original engine and transmission with 240k (absolutely best truck) and never had issues. After all this I decided to call GM corporate. Obviously they can see my history with them and they can see that I’ve had a lot of complaints with this truck. They did nothing to help me or my buddy who I might also add are both veterans and take the absolute best care of our trucks... I’ve always enjoyed my GM products and I’ve always been a loyal customer. In 30 years I’ve never asked for anything from them but when I felt their product had some issues I feel like they should’ve stood behind Us and their product a little more.

The more I looked into the GM products I realized the company has really gone downhill. I will no longer buy their product or support them in any way possible. There are a lot of people I have talked to feel a same way I do. When you’re close plants down also and your CEO is making 22 million a year there is a major problem. Shame on you GM.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

I purchased a 2018 Escalade August 2 2019, car had 25000 mi on it. Had to bring it back to dealer 1 week for a coolant leak. They replaced radiator. 1000mi later after going on a 1050mi trip the transfer case failed..Car has been sitting at dealer for 1 month because of strike. I had 99 Suburban for 19 years, original radiator & transfer case. LAST GM CAR.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2019

This vehicle was purchased new, great power and super comfy. After the first week or so it was in the shop every other week *suspension problem* over and over. Then electrical connections. Now the warranty is up, tail light problems ($750) each. Now the info screen is black. It's just ridiculous a luxury vehicle at this price has this many issues.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

Small bump in the front deploys driver airbag. We have been waiting since May 10-2019. Until now the drivers airbag part is not available. More than 5 months waiting for a 2019 Cadillac xt4 drivers airbag. Completely unacceptable. Will definitely not recommend it. Not reliable. We still keep paying the car payment and insurance without able to use the car. Cadillac Dealership is not doing anything as well.

General Motors Company Information