3.5/5 (95 ratings)
Get Pricing on Rydeshopper

Ready for a new vehicle?

Take advantage of high trade in values today with Carvana!

Get your offer

About General Motors

General Motors, also called GM, is a major national auto manufacturer of trucks, SUVs, crossovers and vans under several different brands. Read reviews for their models:

Ready for a new vehicle?

Take advantage of high trade in values today with Carvana!

Get your offer

General Motors Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about General Motors?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about General Motors?

Original review: May 27, 2022

We purchased a 2021 Chevy Silverado Custom Trail Boss, BRAND NEW! We have had the truck in for service more than we have driven the vehicle, just hit 10K miles, we reached out to GM to see if they would help, refused to buy the truck back, then offered us a $250 accessory credit, that was sent to us in the mail, then we were told it can be used online or at a dealer, went to dealer can't use it there, went online can't use it there! BIG SURPRISE. Called several times, but nothing, no help.

The case got transferred to another rep, who told us she would put the credit on our GM Rewards, then the next rep Tanya, who may I add is a very rude individual and basically said that offer is declined, and I am taking over the case there is no one above me to speak with, you'll take the offer or that is it. EXCUSE ME, no that is not it, we have paid a lot of money and to be treated like Crap as a customer, that is unacceptable, I'm sorry Tanya you hate your job, but to be rude to the people who keep you employed is not acceptable! I will never again buy another GM product, and Tanya can be thanked for that!

Original review: May 19, 2022

My wife and I have owned 4 Chevrolets. We are in the process of buying our fourth and third new vehicle in 9 years. It has been the worst vehicle buying experience. GM should be ashamed of their lack of customer service. GM should be ashamed the way Key Chevrolet in Middletown, CT is representing their brand. We will never purchase another Chevrolet or any other GM product again.

Get buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 1, 2022

I purchase a 2019 Chevy Silverado LTZ model new from the dealer. Around +/-30K miles I started having issues with the display blanking out and needing to either change screens from the arrow buttons on the steering wheel or turn the truck off and restart. Sometimes it would even lose 2 or 3 screens. It has been to the dealer multiple times... So far the DIC cluster panel, steering column, switch in steering wheel, wire in wiring harness bypassed and NUMEROUS software reloads have been done.

The dealership has no idea where to go so they keep calling GM's techs to no avail. One tech said since they were using a thumb drive they should use the laptop to reload the software. The last tech now says the ground is on the upper end of the tolerance so they are ordering a new battery, negative battery cable and a ground. It has been at the shop for a week so far again.

The console is a slave to the radio. I have asked to replace the radio or the two modules the signal feeds through to the display. The dealer can't without either GM authoring it for the warranty or me paying for it. GM doesn't want to spend the money and refers back to software as the standard default answer. Customer Care says I need to just leave the truck at the dealer until they figure it out and the dealers says take it home until they can reach the GM techs. There is no end in sight. I am paying almost $800/month for a truck that spends more time at the dealer (no loaner provided) than my house. They are unable to troubleshoot and repair their own products.

Original review: April 30, 2022

I purchased a new Chevy 2500 HD High Country 6.6 Duramax last month. At around 200 miles, a "service emissions system" message appeared on the drivers information center. This problem has made my vehicle un-drivable. With a total of 278 miles on the new vehicle, I took it to John Thornton Chevrolet in Lithia Springs, Georgia where I purchased the vehicle last month. They diagnosed the problem as a bad throttle body, told me there were no parts anywhere in the country, and they did not have any idea when a part would be available. Unbelievable!

I understand that there is currently a parts shortage ongoing across the country, however GM continues to build and sell these trucks one after another. I purchased this vehicle in good faith believing that GM was a reputable company, and now they can't provide one part to fulfill their warranty obligation on a brand new truck. I have called Chevrolet Customer Service, no help. So, my brand new $80,000 truck has sat in the dealers back lot since mid April 2022 while I have begun making the monthly payment. It appears to me that after the sell, you are on your own.

Original review: March 21, 2022

Purchased a 2021 Z71 in January of 2021. While on vacation with less than 9,000 miles truck broke down. Had to be towed and lifters and a piston had to be replaced. This happened on a Friday so I had to spend 3 days with no vehicle and pay for extra night at hotel to wait on a rental. I contacted GM to try and get reimbursed for some of my cost and they never even acknowledged me. Very disappointed!

Original review: March 10, 2022

15,000 miles on new 2021 Silverado 5.3 liter engine and my truck started hesitating and all sorts of lights and check engine….. turns out cracked head and busted lifters. Known problem with these engines and double whammy during tornado and hail storm on the way I could not get home to my garage due to stalled truck and got hail damage with $1,000 deductible. This should not have happened as my truck would have been home in the garage. GM needs to recall these engines or offer new ones.

Original review: March 1, 2022

My 2019 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD, while still covered by GM’s Factory Power Train Warranty, had two frayed injector wire connectors that were repaired/replaced by GM Authorized dealers using Genuine GM Parts (that come a one-year warranty). A couple months later I pulled into Casper Buick GMC Cadillac (“CASPER GMC”) and was told that 2 injectors had failed but they would be covered 100% by my warranty. Therefore, I approved the work. Later when I went to pick up my truck they told me it would not be covered by warranty and that I needed to personally pay them $2,231.04 or they would not give me my keys or release my truck to me.

For two months since then, I’ve made repeated unsuccessful attempts to get a satisfactory resolution and have experienced:

(i) Repeated broken promises from Matt **, of CASPER GMC and from and Jay from GM Customer Care (“GM”) to get back to me;

(ii) CASPER GMC’s and GM’s willful disregard of the promises made to owners like me in GM’s Factory Power Train Warranty;

(iii) CASPER GMC’s repeated and unwarranted refusal to file my warranty claim with GM, despite the fact that my truck is still under GM Factory Warranty for both the injectors (GM Factory Power Train Warranty), and the connector wires (GM Genuine Parts Warranty); and

(iv) I was told by Jay at GM Customer Care that if I sought guidance from my attorney, even if such guidance did not include my filing suit, he would no longer be able to speak with me about this issue.

(v) I was told by Casper GMC to contact GM Customer Care and was told by GM Customer Care to contact Casper GMC.

Casper GMC and GM Customer Care do a good job of watching each other’s back but totally ignore the backs of customers like me.

If this sounds like fun to you, please go straight to Casper GMC and buy a truck. Yuk!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2022

I bought this truck at Hampton Chevy. I went there to get it fixed on October 10, 2021, it is February 23, 2022, now and the problem has not been resolved. I've been there over four times and they are completely stumped, one mechanics looked at me as if I should have bought me a Ford. At this time, I would agree. I have a iPhone 12 which cannot connect to my truck and the mechanic and the GMC representative are telling me it's my phone but the same phone can connect to another Silverado same year and my brother phone which is the same model as my phone cannot connect to my truck. Under the same breath they say it's my phone fault but don't recognize that two iPhone 12 cannot connect to that Silverado and the same 2 hour phone 12 can't connect to another Silverado. And now they basically are asking me to accept the condition of the truck 2020 truck because they don't know what to do to fix it.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2022

After buying my 3rd truck from GM at this point I’m potentially done with them. 2 year old Sierra needed the radiator replaced because of a faulty design which had a hole in the radiator. Dealership told me in exact words that this should not happen on a 2 year old vehicle. GM took over a week to review my case then to call me and explain that no reimbursement would happen because I didn’t leave my vehicle at the dealership until they had a answer. No coverage for the repairs would be happening. So if I had been without a vehicle for over a week waiting for GM they would just of potential offered to cover the repairs.

GM customer service called me 4x during the week asking the same questions that were given to them from the initial complaint. I am not someone to expect or ask for assistance but felt it was only right after their only dealership stated this was something that should not be needing to be replaced. I’ve kept up on all maintenance and consistent service records through their dealership. I will be taking my business elsewhere as this company has gotten enough of my business buying 3 trucks over 60k each and they can’t even show any loyalty to a routine repeated customer.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2022

12-23-2021 bought a new 2022 Chevy Colorado from Luling Chevy Luling TX with 260 miles on truck. It took a crap leaving us stranded on hwy. Towed it to dealer. They don't know what's wrong with it. Dealer sold another 2022 Colorado to me but I lost 2k on first one. I think GM should help me with the 2k loss I took. 260 miles!!!! Always been a Ford man.

General Motors Company Information