3.9/5 (744 ratings)
Find a Car Brands partner

Ready for a new vehicle?

Take advantage of high trade in values today with Carvana!

Get your offer

About General Motors

General Motors, also called GM, is a major national auto manufacturer of trucks, SUVs, crossovers and vans under several different brands. Read reviews for their models:

Ready for a new vehicle?

Take advantage of high trade in values today with Carvana!

Get your offer

General Motors Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about General Motors?

Original review: Jan. 16, 2023

GMC needs to recall the 2017 Yukon tail Lights! Clearly the 2017 are faulty because the 2016 tail lights were recalled for the same issue! These lights go out once few or humid reaches inside. Lawsuits in FL already. Do what’s right GMC.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2022

Placed an order for a 2022 Sierra Denali on April 29th. Got an order update from the dealer in August that GM would be delivering a 2023 model. Dealer called again near the end of Oct with a start build date of Nov, 7th. Truck arrived last week with the new 2023 price which is approx. 10K higher than the 2022 MSRP price from April. Dealer advised that GM wouldn’t honor the price protection program because of the different model year. The 2022 redesign model is essentially identical to the 2023 model. Same truck, just a different serial number sequence. So bottom line is, GM delayed production to the 2023 model so they wouldn’t have to honor their price protection program, I walked away from the deal. Time to buy a Ford…

Get buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2022

I purchased a brand new 2018 Chevy Volt which I mostly loved, until the point the EV control module died a little over 2 months ago. The dealership I had to get it towed to, tried to tell me it was just a 12V battery issue, replaced it and had me come to the dealership to pick it up. When I arrived, the service advisor drove it to the desk and the check engine lights all came back on and they shuttled me over to a rental car company.

I have had to drive around a tiny little Geo Metro looking car for almost 2 months now as my vehicle is still down, waiting on parts. The Colorado snow makes this micro machine extremely unsafe. I can't swap it out because the dealership won't give permission, the GM customer service line won't call me back either, for over 3 weeks, to actually help resolve this safety concern, towing charges or the excessive time I have been without my first new car purchase. This is how they regard their customers. YOU are expendable, not worth the time investment and just another number on a balance sheet. There are more of YOU out there to coax into their glittery brand of EV vehicles that they cannot sustain. I highly suggest adding extended rental car insurance on your vehicle because they don't have the parts or labor bandwidth to support their endeavors, and YOU, the consumer will pay for it.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2022

I purchased a 2015 GMC Acadia new. Spent about $58,000 including paint protection, fabric protection, & hand pinstripes. Didn't get it out of the showroom due to electrical issues. Took 2 1/2 days for what they claimed were computer updates. For the next 2 1/2 months I constantly dealt with electric issues. GM would do nothing but continue fixing the problems. I didn't want to be stuck with a vehicle that had these issues so I felt I was left with no choice but to trade it in on a 2016. All remaining 2015 Acadia's had been sold. I lost approximately $3000 on the stripes and protection (not refundable or transferable). Traded for a 2016. Had to shell out an additional $12500 for 2016. Power train warranty went from 100000 miles on the 2015 to only 60000 on the 2016. Couldn't afford to put all the protection on the new Acadia.

The new vehicle started having transmission issues at about 15,000 miles. At 24,000 miles the transmission computer module was replaced under warranty. At 45,000 miles the torque converter was replaced under warranty. All along I complained about how rough the transmission shifted. I was constantly told by (GM certified mechanics) that nothing was wrong and that is just how that engine runs. At about 102,000 it was documented for the last time that I felt the transmission was not right. Again I was told nothing was wrong. While in Florida this past October my engine light went on at 132000 miles. Took it to a GM dealership and was told the code stated torque converter again.

I was advised to have it serviced in Wisconsin were I live. Also was advised that with the history, I should put in a new transmission. When I returned to Wisconsin, I took it to the local GM dealership a was told it needed $3000 for valve's in the existing transmission. It may or may not correct the issue. I reached out to GM customer Care for assistance. They would not assist. They stated the vehicle was out of warranty. I asked if they could guarantee that if the valves didn't correct the issue that I could have that amount applied to a new transmission. The answer was "no". I chose to put in a new transmission. I was charged almost $7000 for the new transmission. I am the only driver. No accidents and no towing with this vehicle (even though it has the tow pkg).

I added up my bills for the last year and a half. I have spent just over $10,000 on issues that should have never happened. This amt does not include normal wear & tear parts. I have been a loyal and proud GM owner for over 2 decades. I've personally owned 31 vehicles in my life and never experienced issues like the ones described. I'm not sure any other car manufacturer would treat me any differently but I am truly dissatisfied & disappointed in GM. I will most likely never buy another GM vehicle again. I will look at every make and model before I would ever settle for anything GM produces! That's all thanks for reading!

Original review: Oct. 22, 2022

I have been a loyal customer of GM’s since I was 16 years old. Over the past 19 years, I have owned a number of GM products, thus demonstrating my loyalty to the brand. I currently own a 2012 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab LTZ-71, which I purchased in September of 2016 with 59,799 miles on the engine. In December of 2017, a mere 15 months after I purchased this vehicle, at which time there were roughly 83,840 miles on the engine, I brought it into the local Chevrolet Dealership in Wasilla, Alaska due to a concerning noise coming from my engine. Mind you, I had consistently taken my vehicle into that dealership for regularly scheduled oil changes and wear and tear repairs since I purchased the vehicle. At that time, it was discovered that the camshaft and select lifter rollers were flaking.

I was informed by the dealership that it would be cheaper to replace my engine than to fix the truck, as this was apparently a significant repair job. I opted to have a new engine put in my truck, which totaled $7,643.97, which I paid for in cash. My truck was in the shop for roughly one month waiting for the engine to be shipped from GM in Michigan and subsequently put in my vehicle. Once the repairs were completed I was informed that I had a 3-year / 100,000-mile warranty on the new engine.

Fast forward to September 29th, 2022, at which time I had put roughly 60,000 miles on the new engine, and I began to hear a very familiar noise coming from my engine, the very same noise I heard four years prior that resulted in having my engine entirely replaced. I promptly brought my truck back into the shop at the Chevrolet Dealership the following day, at which time I was advised to not drive my vehicle anymore until they could assess the issue. On Monday, October 3rd I received a call from the dealership informing me that there was a repeat issue with the cams and lifters in my new engine [the very same issue from four years prior], and that the cost of the repairs would be an estimated $6,300.

The dealership informed me that it would cost between nine-thousand and ten-thousand dollars to replace the engine for a second time, so they advised that I opt for the repair work to be completed. I explained to the dealership my frustrations at the cost of the repairs since I just had the same issue four years prior. They were very understanding, and they expressed their desire to help me as best they could considering the warranty was no longer valid.

The dealership reached out to GM through their online portal explaining the repeat issue with my new engine, and I also took it upon myself to reach out to GM directly as well. A representative from GM responded back to the dealership offering me “assistance” in the amount of roughly $300 to put toward my $6,300 repair estimate. Needless to say, I was not impressed with GM’s offer. When I reached out to GM customer service directly later on in the week to advocate on my own behalf, the representative explained to me that it was GM’s “final” offering, and that there would be no swaying the decision.

At that point, I requested to speak with a supervisor. They put in a request for me to receive a call back from a supervisor [this was on a Friday], and I received a call back that following Monday. The supervisor was adamant about there being “no one else” I could speak with, and that she is the “final customer-facing” representative that I could speak with. When I inquired with her about how I go about making a formal complaint, she told me she would put my complaint “in the notes” in my case, and that “it will be reviewed by various departments.” When I asked her if I could have contact information for the “other various departments,” she told me that would not be possible. She also reiterated to me that submitting a formal complaint was essentially a waste of my time, as it would still not change the ultimate outcome, which was GM’s initial “assistance” of roughly $300 to go toward my $6,300 bill to fix my vehicle.

To say that is poor customer care is an understatement. I informed her that there has to be another way for me to advocate for myself. We ended up going round and round on the phone for nearly 15 minutes until she finally provided me with a mailing address to send a handwritten letter to the “GM Executive.” At that point, I took the mailing address, looked it up online, and found email addresses to all of the executive staff of GM and emailed all of them my complaint directly, as well as supporting documents showing the initial replacement engine costs and the repairs estimate on my second engine.

Two days later I received a call from a representative at the GM Executive Branch who informed me she would be working on my behalf to get my repair bill refunded to me. She requested that I email her confirmation of my repair bill [which totaled $5,300 after the Chevrolet Dealership was gracious enough to take $1,000 off of the repair bill themselves]. She then told me she would be back in touch with me on Friday last week to provide me with an update, which she did. On Friday last week, she informed me that she was still waiting on approval from a general manager to approve the refund. I asked her when I would hear back on the final determination, and she informed me that it could be “as late as the end of next week.” So here we are, exactly one week later, still with no answers. I even sent a follow-up email to the GM Executive Branch with no response, so I am now taking my complaint here.

Ultimately, I have arrived at this place due to the incredibly poor customer care I have been provided since this entire ordeal with my vehicle started several weeks ago. The loyalty I have for GM is clearly not being reciprocated, as GM sold me not one, but two faulty engines at this point. GM refuses to offer any true adequate assistance on a faulty engine they sold me four years ago. A dealership that has no control over the quality of the parts that GM sends them offered to assist me more than the company itself that sold me the faulty engine in the first place. To say I am disappointed is a gross understatement, as this is the worst representation of customer care I have ever experienced.

My first GM engine did not even make it to 84,000 miles before it went out, and my second GM engine did not even make it past 60,000 miles before it went out, too. And GM refuses to do anything above and beyond a meager $300 to rectify this reoccurring issue. There is no denying that this repeat issue with GM’s engines is a manufacturer failure, and all I was asking was for the cost of the repairs to be covered by GM since this never should have happened in the first place had they sold me a quality engine.

GM needs to take accountability for their manufacturer failures. GM is a multi-billion-dollar company that claims to be in the business of building and selling quality products to its customers. What I have gotten in my current vehicle is anything but quality; I have gotten not one, but two faulty engines, and when this is all said and done I will have shelled out nearly $13,000 that I would not have had to pay had GM provided me with quality products from the start. I am not one to raise a fuss over peanuts. $5,300 in repair costs may be peanuts to GM, but it is certainly not peanuts to me, nor to many other customers who purchase GM products. This was a significant repair bill that I rightfully believe I should not have been responsible for paying due to this reoccurring manufacturer error. At this point, I will be taking my business elsewhere moving forward, and will not be purchasing another GM product at any point in the future.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2022

Have paid for OnStar services for years, more as a reflex than really getting anything from it. Battery went dead on my Cadillac once, but I used my cell phone to call dealer for rescue, so OnStar didn't help in that instance. Recently received urgent OnStar communication to take my car to the dealer within seven days for some critical emissions issue. Called the Cadillac dealership to inquire about what was going on, they were unaware of any such notice or issue, and surprised that OnStar would either. Good luck also trying to reach a US based representative when calling customer service. The agents are terribly hard to understand. I cancelled OnStar plan today any many years of getting nothing and this recent experience. As a key piece of GM's consumer experience, surprising to see how little attention they are paying to it. Something to think about with next purchase.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2022

GMC is a bunch of scam artists. Features for my vehicle cost an extra $4805.00 total. GMC gave me a whopping discount of $125.00 for when I purchased it. I’ve had my vehicle for 5 months and have paid $650.00 so far for those features that I CANNOT USE BECAUSE I’m still waiting on the chips. Essentially, you’ve taken $525 of my money for no reason.

I’ve called the customer care 4 times and no one will let me speak to a supervisor. One rep told me that the dealership had to compensate me because it’s not GMC responsibility. The rep also told me that they don’t have a date in the foreseeable future for when those chips will come in for my particular vehicle. Tell me how that’s fair? For me to pay an extra $130 a month for something I can’t use and no one can tell me when I can because GMC is cherry picking what vehicles get the chips first. I called the dealership and they said GMC is pushing me off onto them for GMC mistake. GMC gave a timeline of when the chips were supposed to be in and it’s surpassed that timeline.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2022

I am a proud owner or was to own a Chevy Malibu. I paid $2,700 cash for a rebuilt title Chevy Malibu. I was sideswiped and owner of landscaping company wrote a check for $4,400 to have fixed. One month later, person runs a red light. No license or insurance. My Chevy Malibu was totaled. The owner's car insurance company gave me $4,300 for the car. I made $6,000 from that car. Best investment and car ever. My Chevy Malibu LS did what she was made for: get me to work safely, drive around town, enjoy vacations and road trips. My Chevy Malibu was one of a kind. I love her and she loved me. That Malibu saved my life and would have saved your life. Through not my fault, she is gone but not forgotten. RIp.

I say this, I'm glad I was a proud owner of a 2010 Chevy Malibu LS. I got a Ford Fusion as a replacement and 6 months later the transmission goes out. $4,000 to replace/fix the transmission. I will leave that Ford where it is and Ford is worse car to buy. I'll save to buy another Chevy or try to save. I'll never own another car like my 2010 Chevy Malibu but I'll own somehow or way one day I hope to be a proud owner again of a General Motors/Chevy car. And if I can't buy a Chevy Thank you for being the best and making the best.

Resolution response: Sept. 19, 2022

Resolved.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2022

After owning my Chevy Cruze for over 5 years, a friend showed me that the branding on the car is misspelled. Thought I had a Chevrolet not a Chevroet...am sure they have been laughing their lungs out for the whole 5 years.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2022

I have a 2018 Buick Regal Tour with 8100 miles. It has had two AC compressors replaced, three new batteries, a new alternator, the AC temperature aductor door replaced where the repair may have damaged the main wire to the computer module. The dealer had the car three times this years including two weeks in June when they only started the car each day. This was despite my asking for a senior technician to perform an electric check as something was draining the battery. The car would not start after sitting three days. It came to a point that the car was unable to be driven for fear of being stranded. I had to take the car to a local auto electric shop who found two intermittent batery drains. They had to replace the damaged wire then the computer module.

My extended warranty refused to pay as it was under the GM extended warranty which was worthless in the end as the dealer does not take the time to diagnosed a vehicle under warranty which is owned by a disabled person. GM refuses to reimburse the $1261 for diagnosis which was over one half of the bill. At least I found someone to make the car usuable. I really think that something may have been defective all alone. Like many others, we bought GM except for the 1980s then went back. Perhaps it is time to once again bail. Honestly all this on a car with 8100 miles.

General Motors Company Information