2. Automotive
  3. Car Brands

Shop on Rydeshopper
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.73/5

General Motors, also called GM, is a major national auto manufacturer of trucks, SUVs, crossovers and vans under several different brands. Read reviews for their models:

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Find a Dealer Near You
        Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Find a Dealer Near You

General Motors Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about General Motors?
        How do I know I can trust these reviews about General Motors?

Original review: Dec. 4, 2020

During the pandemic we were a couples months late due on payments. I talked to them on the phone countless times telling them we could pay once I got on my unemployment but that wasn't good enough they repo'd my vehicle and how are threatening to sue me if I don't pay 600 dollars. This is my third vehicle with this company and prior to this I always made my payments. They don't care if you have a family to take care of and they don't care about you during this pandemic. Sway away from them and do business elsewhere please.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2020

I own 1 2015 Cadillac Srx and just purchased a 2020 Cadillac Escalade esv and will never purchase another gm vehicle again. I had a recall for for headlights on my 2015 and when I took it in had to pay for it which was no problem even though it was $1900 for 2 headlights but I was to be reimbursed from GM for a recall on the headlights. Then I contacted GM and they told I had the paperwork for the recall and they said it has expired and now I just have to pay the $1900 out of pocket. This is completely unprofessional especially during a pandemic. I live in Illinois and the whole state has been shut down pretty much since March besides for a few months. I did not read fine print on back of letter real small that said it expired. I think GM should recognize this recall and reimburse someone who has spent over 100k on vehicles from Cadillac in the last 4 years. Headlights that cost that much money should never go bad unless damaged.

Get buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2020

Bought a 2020 Chevy Silverado from Rountree Moore Chevy in Lake City Florida May 2020. At 600 miles truck would not start. Sent to dealer, they cleared the computer, sent me on my way. 3-400 miles later did the same thing. Truck came back and they kept the truck for 30+ days waiting on a fuel part. Truck was fixed and got it back in July. November 30 truck did the same thing, would not start, just turns over. Took truck back asked for a buy back (same part broke) or new truck. Dealer told me to call GM, start a claim. I did right then.

Just received a call from GM corporate denying the claim saying the dealer has to start a technical claim. Tried to 3 way the dealer in to get all on the same page and the corporate rep hung up during the call. I have been given the runaround from both the dealer and Chevy, Florida laws says this is a lemon, both are trying their best to avoid the situation rather than correct it. Truck has 9000 miles on it, has been in the shop 3 times for the same problem and has been in the shop more than 30 days total. I spent days of my time dealing with it, spent $55,000 and it's only 8 months old. Think twice before buying a GM product. I guess I am forced to hire help now. All I can do is share my experience and hope good people learn from it. Thank You.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2020

It has been 3 months since GM has classified our truck as a lemon, and still do not have a replacement truck. After complying with documents 3 times to Henry and getting little to no help we were turned over to Sean who has only been slightly better. If you ask to speak to his supervisor first he will then call you back, then today being told by Sean that he contacted the Dealership about ordering us a new truck, then checking with that dealership and being read the emails from Sean this was not the case. I was told that we had to find a like truck and send the VIN # which I have but the truck is sold by the time Sean gets around to replying to the emails I send.

This whole experience has caused extreme hardship as I need the truck to tow our trailer to Houston for my Husband's cancer treatments and it has been a financial burden driving and paying for Hotels as well as compromising my Husband's health by staying in Hotels, etc. All we want is a truck to replace the Lemon Truck we have so I can keep my Husband safe in our own trailer.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

I purchased an extended warranty directly from GM, a Platinum warranty that was supposed to be bumper to bumper coverage at the cost of $3400 for my 2013 Chevy Avalanche. I did have to have 1 air shock and compressor replaced but I always replaced shocks in pairs but GM said no way. Then my dash started to crack and that was turned down as GM said this was a cosmetic item and it does NOT cover cosmetic items. Well after buying or leasing 6 vehicles from this same dealer in 6 years I sold the Avalanche and bought me a Ram pickup truck. That’s how GM treats its customers after 35 plus years of owning GM vehicles.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2020

Imagine having a new car for two years and the clear starts lifting. My car is full of blotches of clear coat lifting. I am still in warranty and GM denies my claim. I wish I can post pics. I took my vehicle to Yeo body shops and was told to take it back to dealer due to clear coat lifting and leak in rearview window. It is so obvious that my paint job was botched and they blame it on the environment. I will never purchase a GM vehicle ever. There are several videos on their clear coat problems on the internet and they fail to take responsibility for their clear coat problem vehicles. They would rather sale it to the consumer and wash their hands concerning the problem. I will not stop posting until I get my vehicle on TV. It is a clear mess.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

Their customer service team doesn't return phone calls, when you finally get ahold of someone, they have absolutely no concern or care for their customers. My $50,000 truck had a transmission issue at just over 70k miles because of the OE fluid and GMC offered me a $50 off coupon for my next visit. No offer to take care of the expense caused by a subpar fluid put in at the factory. Their tech service bulletin specifically stated the first step to the repair was replace the OE fluid with Mobile 1 transmission fluid, if that doesn't correct the issue, replace the torque converter. This is a well known problem and yet they leave their loyal customers to absorb the repair expenses.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2020

My NEW 2020 Chevrolet Traverse purchased October 2019 has had the following issues: malfunction in wheel assembly (scary), emissions issues, back doors offset, paint peeling on Chevy bow, defective tire gauge, electrical issues, and recalls. Car under 1 year old and no accidents. I will NEVER buy another Chevrolet Traverse.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2020

I bought this car last year and before the year was over, I had to take it back to the dealership at the very least four times. I complained to GM, and they said that in order to be able to POSSIBLY HELP ME, I had to take it to the dealership again! Was four times not enough! I am traumatized to drive that car, and I do not recommend to ANYONE!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

I purchased a 2018 GMC Terrain Denali in April of 2018. I have gone past the warranty period and I have noticed the paint has been coming off the rocker on both sides of the vehicle and now rusting. I contacted GM Canada customer service and after waiting almost 5 weeks for a answer if they would do anything the robot who called me said since it's out of warranty and there's no recalls on the paint there's nothing they will do. They are saying it's from my shoes. I wear running shoes all the time I have had a lot of gm cars and so has my son with a lot more mileage and never had this happen. I guess this shows me that gm doesn't care about its customers. My next purchase will definitely not be a gm product.

General Motors Company Information