1.41/5
Based on 39 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: May 14, 2018

39 General Motors Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 14, 2018

I am an upset customer and relative of an upset customer. My mother purchased a 2018 GMC Terrain in January 2018 and this car has had nothing but problems. On May 4th 2018 the car was taken to Jim Causley GMC for repairs which to us seems to be severe. The car stopped in the middle of a busy intersection and an error message came across the dashboard which read, "This car is unsafe to drive," and the car stop working and was driving erratic. After the vehicle was towed back to Jim Causley GMC they kept the vehicle for approximately one week and I asked the service adviser the extent of the damage and he stated that he was informed by the service manager that he was not at liberty to disclose this information and they released the vehicle to me.

I proceeded to drive the vehicle a few miles and the vehicle stopped on me in the middle of a busy intersection and once again I received the same error message which read that, "This vehicle is unsafe to drive." I cannot believe that the technicians at Jim Causley GMC worked on this vehicle for a week and claimed that it was safe and road ready and yet again I am having the same mechanical issues.

Original review: May 2, 2018

2008 GMC Envoy - electrical issues, transmissions, stable link system, check previous surveys, & complaints. Roomy, comfortable, fuel pump, filters, issues, fuel consumption.

Get expert buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 29, 2018

This is my first GMC and I don’t think I can drive anything else after owning a GMC. I love the look and the way that it drives. Inside is such a great design with wonderful features.

Original review: April 27, 2018

I expected non power seats, no remote start, etc. I can lift the rear hatch without a problem, but an incomplete radio. The vehicle (GMC Terrain) does not have a radio that get Sirius. Come on.

Original review: April 26, 2018

I love the way GMC Terrain handles the road. Good gas mileage and plenty of pep to pass on steep hills. Very roomy for travel. I love the body style and the way this short lady sits up to see over the front dash. My only complaint is not as quiet on rough road. Most highways there is no wind or road noise. But other than that, I'm very happy with my choice.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about General Motors?

Original review: April 25, 2018

GMC Terrain: At 30k miles the timing chain and tensioners had to be changed and at 63k miles the transmission started shifting hard. At 68k miles it started consuming oil so it had the pistons replaced and now at 114k miles it's consuming oil again and it needs to have the timing chain and tensioners replaced again.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I had been driving GM all my life and I love it. But on the past years it have become an experience brand to buy and keep when others brand have gained reputations on durability, longer warranty and lower cost in general.

Original review: April 17, 2018

GMC Terrain is cheaply made. The passenger door rubber came off and the Motor Company claimed I pulled it off. Wrong. Also the Modules on the Tires is going out and it only has 50,000 miles on it. The center module keeps saying that there is a low tire. They cost $125.00 each plus installation.

Original review: April 11, 2018

Own a 2010 GMC Terrain. 65,000 miles on and already the transmission needs to be replaced. With thousands of complaints about this year and model you would think GM would recall these vehicles. NEVER BUY A GMC.

Original review: March 17, 2018

Took my Silverado with 38000 miles with warranty ending less than 30 days prior to Ferman Chevrolet in Brandon Florida; air was not blowing cold and the AC compressor and smelled like it was burning. Took them two days to contact me back after several calls to them. Finally they tell me I had a leak in the hi pressure hose and it would cost $560.00. Then by the end of the next day I call them again “again no communication from them“ they tell me, "-By the way- the compressor is bad too and it will now cost you $1580.00." So, at this point I tell them no way. Then I can’t believe my ears- the service guy tell me fine but you still owe us the $560.00 for the work you already approved. Wow (I won that battle).

I googled GM issue with ac systems and omg it’s a known issue. There’s even a class action suit. So I call General Motors and the girl tries to contact Ferman Chevrolet and get no answer. A day later I call General Motors back and the girl tells me she has tried to call them seven times so she escalates the ticket to a senior advisor. It takes three days for the senior advisor to call me just to tell me “more or less” that there’s nothing they can do for me; it’s out of warranty. I finally had it fixed by an AC guy that was recommended to me by a friend. He found metal shavings throughout the entire system. For $1300 he has replace the entire system to make sure there was no parts that would have the metal shavings. I write this in hopes that something can be done for other customers with the same known issue.

Original review: March 2, 2018

My husband and I went to Victory Chevrolet and purchased a certified preowned 2012 Chevrolet Traverse in February 2015. There was 36000 miles on this vehicle. The day we brought it home we had to wait for them to change the fuel tank. We also found when replacing a tire we found that there was no spare or jack in our car. If I’m not mistaken as a certified GM vehicle it should have not left the lot without this. I’m sure you can understand my frustration. We have had to fix the window washer motor at least 6 headlights and a tail light. The passenger window does not roll up from driver side only down. The button for the window washer no longer works. We had to replace the radiator two years into the car. I’ve paid for a accelerator brake pedal sensor. Now my biggest issue is timing chains and all associated parts now need to be repaired at a cost of 2800+.

I was working with Mark Chevrolet in Wayne. It took 3 weeks to just find this out. The person I was working with never called me to give me any info on my car that was there. I always had to call him. He has been released but I have been fighting with GM to just call and speak with me. My suppose IT agent Michelle won’t get on the phone with me. I was told from Bob the service manager at Mark Chevrolet that I was declined for cost assistance from GM and offered $300 discount on my repair. I’m not happy with that. I am paying for a loaner on top of other rental car costs I have had. We thought we had a good car and it is not. In the 3 years we have had this car I’ve put way too much in repairs and I feel GM should be able to help its customer. This is our first Chevy and it’s been such a horrible experience. I never want to purchase another one. No one is helping or even listening to us. We are being talked down to and at. This is not fair.

I am writing all our local news station because I have exhausted all I can with my fight. I have include screenshots of my fight with GM and Mark Chevrolet of Wayne. I also have voicemails that I have saved. I am a small business owner that relies on my car to provide for my family. I have spent well beyond my limits to repair my car. But this email is more about my experience with GM and their service than anything else. I have been told to have a "Change of Heart" when posting my experience. Told to "Apologize" for blowing up ONLY after almost weeks of not being able to actually speak to MY GM agent.

I have only voicemails when my phone is in complete working order. I believe they are using some type of method to circumvent speaking directly to me. As I will return their call less than a minute from receiving a voicemail and now no one is available to speak with me. GM has denied me Cost assistance, charging me for a loaner car that I had no choice but to use while waiting over 3 weeks to just have a partial diagnosis of my car issues. I am not trying to be difficult. I am just trying to use the car I purchased 3 years ago from a Chevrolet Dealership.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

I purchased a 2011 GMC Yukon with 82K miles from Carmax. I paid $29K for this vehicle. This had the 5.3L engine & 4WD which is needed here in MI. At 125K miles the transmission gave out - no prolonged degradation, just failure over 1-2 days. I purchased a remanufactured transmission costing $3K (including installation). Adding more injury, GM charged me $200 to "flash" the transmission. Then at 140K miles, StabiliTrak and Traction Control codes appear along with the check engine light. The engine started running rough at idle with slightly reduced gas mileage.

I changed the plugs, plug wires and coil to no avail. Analytics would show random misfire for cylinder 8. Compression check showed the cylinder was 60 psi low. Leak-down test showed the problem was either the camshaft or a lifter, meaning engine replacement. I've taken good care of this vehicle with regular service and am extremely disappointed I couldn't get more mileage out of the engine. BTW, this is the 2nd GMC where both the engine and transmission had to be replaced at similar mileage (a 1985 GMC Jimmy). GMC is not the Professional Grade they claim to be, but the opposite. I will never purchase another GMC vehicle.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I purchased a 2014 2500HD Silverado about 2 years ago from a dealership in Illinois. After owning at least 15 GM vehicles over the last 35 years this truck was shaping up to be my all time favorite. I took the truck into the dealership on November 5th 2017 for a check engine light. I was told by the dealership that there were multiple codes and was told several items needed to be replaced including the DEF tank heater due to it shorting out in the tank. Several other items were also replaced but all were covered under warranty. I expected to get my truck back within a short period of time. It is now January 16 2018 and I still don't have my truck back. I am being told that it has a bad ECM, also covered under the warranty but there are no replacement parts available. The dealership told me that 175 shipped from the supplier on Dec. 11th but I did not get one for my truck.

I was then told it may be mid-March until the part would be available. That will be over 4 months to get warranty items fixed on my truck. I was told that the part is no longer manufactured and due to a design change in 2015 the new version will not work in my 2014. Just as recent as 2 weeks ago I was told by the dealership that 200 more ECM's were manufactured over the Christmas holiday but the dealership could not confirm that they would be getting one of them for my truck.

Considering it's now 3 weeks past the Christmas holiday and I still don't have my truck back my guess is that I will not be getting one of the 200 that were shipped out. All total that's 375 ECM's that have shipped since December 11th. Are there that many GM vehicle owners that are waiting for this part and don't have their vehicle? Why are they unable to provide the dealership with a firm date as to when they will get this part? How can it take till mid-March, which is also not a confirmed date.

I have contacted 2 different GM customer service reps. providing them all the information I just mentioned and then some. Each of the reps. contacted me within a few days only to tell me that the issue has been escalated to the highest priority level and I need to continue to work with the dealership that has my truck and there was nothing more they could do. What is the point of having a 5 year 100,000 mile power-train warranty if parts are not available to fix the warrantied problem? My issue is with GM not being able to support the products they sell and have covered under warranty. This entire ordeal has made me very skeptical on the reliability of the newer Chevy trucks.

What about the months the dealership has my truck? Will that time get added back to my 5 year warranty period? I'm concerned about what happens when the warranty runs out and these parts fail. How much is it going to cost me then? Considering the amount of money I paid for this truck I expected better service than this. Does GM really think I want to put myself in a position like this again by buying another one of their vehicles? It has me torn because I have been a die hard GM fan all my life and now need to consider looking at other manufacturers for my next truck purchase. I just want my truck back.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

I purchased my 2003 GMC Denali brand new from the dealer in Maine. I've followed all maintenance guidelines to date. The seat heaters stopped working within 2 years. Cost was $500 ea. to repair! The paint on rear door, bubbled and flaking off. Hood paint has been slowing coming off for the past 4 years. Just put $1,700 in brake repairs and I am still driving a death trap. No one can figure out the problems! With all the problems, the mechanic said the frame is huge rust problem and isn't safe to drive!! Where do I turn to for help?

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

GM has a major design flaw in the 2.4 ltr engine. They have issued a TSB 14882 to extend the warranty to 10 yr 120,000 miles on a few series of motors for the stated problems. They are refusing to cover the other series of 2.4 engines that are experiencing the same issues with the explanation that they have not seen this issue in the engines not listed. But if you look on the web you will see hundreds upon hundreds of customers who are left with major engine repair bills for a known issue on the 2.4 ltr engine.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

Highly dissatisfied and frustrated GM and my local dealership, Randy Marion Chevrolet, for attempts to dodge repairing a known problem with my 2012 Chevy Equinox for excessive oil consumption. I've bought probably a dozen or more GM vehicles over the past 20+ years (3 in my driveway now) and I don't ever want to see the service department at Randy Marion Chevrolet again, or own another GM vehicle. I'm that upset. I posted my full complaint at carcomplaints.com (2012 Equinox engine problems -- excessive oil consumption) to warn other people who might want to buy an Equinox or deal with this dealership. Service department as well as GM Customer Service is not to be trusted and uses any excuse to avoid fixing a known problem with this vehicle, despite a letter from GM saying what the problem is and what the fix is.

GM seems to communicate with the dealership and back them up in their ridiculousness and go against their own letter stating they know the car has a problem and what the proper fix is. Been going back and forth with them since March over an issue with excessive oil consumption in my car, and still no fix. I've put another 15,000 miles on my car that is frequently low or not even registering oil. No one should have to repeatedly prove that their car is consuming excessive amounts of oil. I've had them document it at least 5 or maybe 6 times and because my car needed a new timing chain at the end of this long oil consumption test process they tell me I have to start everything over again.

Letter clearly says it's a piston ring problem and they know about it. Common sense is out the window here. Very disappointed at their efforts to delay fixing my car when they know it's consuming oil. Concerned about how much damage is being done to my engine. Read my story on carcomplaints.com and be warned! GM does not stand behind their vehicles anymore, and I won't support them any longer.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

Bulletin 14116 covers model year 2004-2006 Chevrolet Malibu and Malibu Maxx, Dealer replace the torque sensor assembly and EPS motor controller unit on February 23rd of 2015, On November 7 of 2017 the steering failed, Took to a GM Dealer, Replaced the same parts under recall at my expense. When I contacted GM customer service the response was that "warranty" is only for 12 months on recall replacement parts. I just would like to communicate that even if the vehicle was serviced under the recall the problem may still exist, In the affected vehicles, there may be a sudden loss of electric power steering (EPS) assist that could occur at any time while driving. Should that occur, greater driver effort would be required to steer the vehicle at low speeds, increasing the risk of a crash.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I purchased a 2012 Chevy Equinox from a local dealership in July of 2015! When I purchased the vehicle it had approximately 64,000 miles on it! When we done the loan for the vehicle, we went through a local bank where my father has banked at for many, many years! My credit score is not the greatest, so my wonderful father agreed to co-sign for me so I could purchase the vehicle and help build my credit! When we done this loan, I was supposed to have been the main one on the loan and my father of course the "co-signer"! When we purchased the vehicle it did come with a warranty! I believe it was the second day that I had the vehicle, I was backing out of the parking lot where I work on my way to get lunch, and the vehicle started to shake and act as if it was going to quit! The whole way to McDonald's and back, which was about 10 minutes, the vehicle done this!

It actually did quit on me once and I got it started back up and was able to make it back to work! I called the dealership and told them what the vehicle was doing and they told me just to bring the vehicle back over to them if it would make it and they would take care of it for me! I took the vehicle back to the dealership, and they gave me a rental and a couple days later they called and told me that it was a "sensor" that had went bad and that they got it fixed and the vehicle was ready to be picked up! It drove just fine for a while. Then I started having issues with the oil, it would go through oil like crazy, and I would go to start it up and it would sound horrible! The only way I can really describe the sound it would make, is it was a loud ticking noise and then when given the gas it would make a loud "whining" sound and when slowing the vehicle down or coming to a stop it would start jerking itself like it was trying to quit!

I took it back to the dealership again, and If I remember correctly… they replaced the "Fuel pump"! Again... it drove fine for a while and then it started doing the same thing! We were constantly having to put oil in it, and drive around with it making the same horrible sound as before, and you didn't know if when you came to a stop or a low speed if it was just going to quit on ya! I ended up having to take the vehicle back to the dealership a couple more times over this issue and the last time I had it there they told me that the only thing they could do was an "Oil Consumption Diagnostic Test" which involved me having to bring the vehicle back to them, every so many miles to be checked and that I would have to pay to have it done because it was NOT covered under the warranty! I declined to have it done!

Some may not understand this... but my fiancé and I are trying to raise three kids, provide for them and each other on top of bills and other everyday necessities, on very low income! It is a constant struggle for us just to keep our heads above the water and keep from drowning! We are trying to survive in today's world the best we can, and we did NOT have that extra money to pay to have that test done, nor the time to keep taking the vehicle back to them every so many miles to be checked! No one knows our situation but us, and we decided that we just couldn't do it and declined to have it done! So here I was... in debt for this vehicle that I hadn't had very long... that I kept having the same repetitive problem with over and over again! So this issue continued on!

Some days it would run fine, then other days it would do the awful noise making and trying to quit on me... and we were still having to put oil in it about once a week… sometimes every two weeks! This past August we went on vacation with family, and of course my fiancé, kids and I were going to all go in the Equinox! We took the vehicle and had it serviced... oil change, and other things before we left! We went on vacation and the vehicle drove just fine there and back! About a month after we got back from vacation, I got in the vehicle to come to work one morning and it started making the same noise AGAIN as soon as I started it up! Only this time it was much worse! I mean it was SO loud that when I stopped to get breakfast and the bank to deposit my payroll check that I had to turn the vehicle off just so I could hear over the intercom! I mean it sounded so bad I just thought the motor was gonna blow right then and there!

I made it to work and my fiancé called a different dealership that many people had recommended to us, and told them the problems we were having and asked if they could get it in to look at it! We had already decided that we were NOT dealing with the original dealership anymore because of the issues in the past and the poor customer service and rudeness that came along with it! This other dealership was not local, like the one we purchased it from, but we were told so many good things about them and I had known of several people that purchased vehicles from them and always had good luck, so that's why we decided to go with a different dealership this time!!! They were very nice to my fiancé, and tried to get the vehicle in as soon as possible to look at it! This was on a Thursday and they made us an appointment to bring the vehicle on the following Monday morning!

My fiancé went and got THREE quarts of oil to put in the vehicle, thinking maybe that would quiet it down or at least keep it going until we could get it to the other dealership that following Monday! It got me home from work that night, and that next morning my fiancé got in it to take the kids to school, and he calls me and he says "I really don't know if I’m going to make it back home in this thing, it sounds like it's just going to blow any minute, and it will barely go up hills!" He did make it home. And the second he pulled in the driveway the motor blew up! It was done for! Wouldn't do anything... Now what to do???

We knew that we were going to have to have the vehicle towed no matter where we took it, and the dealership we had the appointment with the following Monday was a good ways away, and we didn't want an outrageous towing bill, so we decided to call the original dealership back... seeing how it was just 10 minutes away, and told them what had just happened! The guy my fiancé spoke with was very rude! Which was nothing new, because they had always been rude to us over the vehicle! He told my fiancé that it would be at least 3 to 4 weeks before they could even get the vehicle inside the garage to even look at it, because they were busy and shorthanded! He made it VERY clear that we would have to pay the tow bill and have it towed to them (which I knew that!). I'm thinking... 3 to 4 weeks before they can even look at it??? What am I going to do!?

So we call "General Motors" and we tell them the situation, and ALL the problems we have had with it, and they were very cooperative! They started a case and gave us a case number! Come to find out, they have had MANY issues with the "Equinox's". There was even a "special coverage adjustment" on it due to... "Excessive Oil Consumption"... and we were under the impression that they were going to help us out and do something about it, considering that was probably a big part in why the motor was blew up now!!! We were told that in order for them to start the case that we would HAVE to take it to the dealership we purchased it from and go through them... because right off the bat we asked if we could have it taken somewhere else!!!

We were told that they would be contacting the dealership and let them know what was going on and that the vehicle would need to be towed over to the dealership and that they would be getting back in touch with us soon! We had the vehicle towed over to the dealership and the manager in the service department told us right of the bat that it was going to be awhile before they could even get in in the garage but he would try to get to it as soon as he could! They did give us another vehicle to drive! At first "General motors" was very cooperative and concerned over our issue and kept in contact with us, and then it was like... nothing! We would go a week or longer without hearing anything from the lady at "GM" that was handling our case, or the dealership!

My fiancé and I would call and call "GM" trying to get through to the lady handling our case and we would get told "She's on the other line with another call, but I'm sending a message through to her right now and she will get back with you as soon as possible!" Or we would leave her messages on her voice mail and still never hear anything back from her! This was an everyday thing!!! We contacted the dealership to see if they had spoke with "GM" or knew what was going on and the manager at the service department was very rude with my fiancé and informed him that it looked to them as if the vehicle had been neglected and not kept up on its regular "oil changes" and that he wanted documentation where we had the oil changed in the vehicle!

I do believe his exact words were "And I don't mean some receipts from your buddies down to the local mechanic shop either. I want documentation from an actual dealership where they changed the oil in it!!!" Okay... every car I have ever owned in my 30 years, my father or fiancé has changed the oil in them 90% of the time! So how was I going to get documentation from an actual dealership for an oil change... and why is it even the dealership’s say so on what we need to show them when "GM" motors is the one handling the case!? "Because it's not up to "GM" if the vehicle gets fixed, I'm the one who has the say-so" was the answer I got from the manager at the service department! So we try to contact "GM" and the lady handling our case. AGAIN to see what in the world is going on!

When we finally got through to her, we told her what the dealership was telling us, and that we needed documentation from a dealership where we have had the oil changed, and how we change the oil ourselves, and how confused we were because we thought "GM" was calling the shots, but manager at the service department said he was! She told us that she understand that we changed our own oil, but if we COULD to try and get receipts where we have had it changed in the past or purchased the oil ourselves... and that they didn't understand why the dealership was making such a big deal over it because "GM" were the ones replacing the motor NOT the dealership!!!

Then we get told from the dealership that "GM" doesn't pay to replace the motor... They replace the motor and then "GM" will reimburse them back, and that he (the manager at the service department) is the one that has to sign his name off to do that, and he couldn't until we turned him in receipts where we had the oil changed because to them it looked like we neglected the vehicle and it was our fault, and if "GM" decided not to reimburse them back, then they are the ones out thousands of dollars!!! Then we get told by "GM" that they don't handle it that way! They SEND the dealership the new motor so they didn't know why the dealership was making such a big deal over it!

I go through this back and forth ** for about a week... and in the meantime my fiancé goes to a couple "auto stores" here in town to see if they would have any receipts where we purchased oil, and that was a no-go because he was told that their computer systems didn't keep records of oil purchases! They had records of other stuff we purchased... windshield wipers, filters etc. but not of oil! I know of a couple times we purchased oil from Walmart, so I even went on my Walmart app where I scan my receipts to get rewards back, and I still couldn't find anything, once my father purchased the oil and oil filter and changed it in his garage, but he didn't have the receipts! I could come up with one receipt showing where we had the oil changed back in August before we went on vacation!

The lady at "GM" told me to fax it to her and she gave me all the info and I faxed it right away! She was supposed to contact us back the following day after she received the receipt, and did not! We went a week without hearing anything back from them! We called time after time, leaving her voice messages and being told "she's not at her desk right now, but we will give her the message that it's urgent and that you need to speak to her right away!" Still wouldn't hear anything back! One afternoon I was out washing the rental car that the dealership had loaned me, and my fiancé calls to tell me that the dealership just called him and told him that if we didn't have some documentation where we changed the oil by Friday that we needed to return their rental car and that they were gonna shove mine out back!!!

My fiancé had told the manager that we already faxed the receipt over to the lady handling our case at "GM" but she hadn't contacted us back, and once again he told fiancé, that HE wanted the receipts, they were the ones that called the shots!!! I was SO upset when he called and told me, that I wanted to take the rental car back over to them right then and there before they tried to say I "mistreated" their vehicle! I was SO upset and tired of getting the run-a-around over this damn vehicle that was blew up and that I still had to make the monthly payment on, that had been sitting over there to the dealership for almost a month now... that I just lost it! I sat on the back porch and just cried my eyes out, and I will never forget my 6 year old son coming and sitting down beside me and patting me on the back and telling me "Don't cry mommy, we will get your car fixed... and when I get older I'll go buy you a new, better car!"

We contacted "GM" again and told them how the dealership was treating us and that we were SO confused on who was the one that was supposed to be handling this, because we're getting told something totally different than what they were telling us! The lady at "GM" said she would contact the dealership and just to wait on taking the rental car back that day and she would figure out what was going on and get back with us the next day!!! Well that next day came, and Friday (when they told me to bring their car back if I couldn't provide them receipts) and the weekend... and Monday and we STILL never got a call back from the lady at "GM" nor the dealership! Tuesday evening around 3:30 the dealership calls and says they want their rental car back now! I take the rental car back over to them and at this point I'm beyond and over the hill furious!

My fiancé and I walk in the service department to give the keys back to the manager and he wants to know if we have those receipts for him!? I explained to him that... No. I did not. I faxed it over to Canedra (the lady handling the case) like I was told to! I started digging in my purse and luckily I still had the receipt in my purse! I gave it to him, and he immediately gets rude and starts shaking his head and tells us "That’s unexpectable!" We explained to him all the trouble we had went through to try and come up with some receipts where we purchased oil because we change the oil ourselves and we had no luck, but he didn't care one bit! I explained to him that Canedra (at GM) told us that it didn't really matter if we had records or not, so I was confused to as why he was even making such a big deal out of it!

His exact words were "I don't care who you talked to. One day you can get Shanequa... and the next you could get Tom. You ain't talking to the right person, you need to call them and tell them YOU need to talk to someone in the US... because when you call them they’re sending you to someone overseas that don't know what they’re talking about!" I told him that we would go out in the parking lot and call them right then and there! He said "You need to tell them that they need to contact ME as of last month, because I got your vehicle sitting back there taking up space and we’re about ready to shove it out back!" My fiancé and I go straight out into the parking lot and call "GM"... and OF COURSE we get told "She's not at her desk right now, but I'm sending her a message right now to get back with you ASAP!" We demanded to speak to someone NOW!

My fiancé told her that we we’re standing out front of the dealership and they were needing to know something NOW, as well as us too! After about 10 minutes we finally got through to her! We told her what was going on and asked if she had got the receipt we faxed a week ago?! She told us she did, and that she was going to put us on hold and call the manager there at the service department now! We were on hold forever, and we knew the service station was closing soon so we decided to head back home, and my fiancé phone had went dead anyhow!

We get halfway home and after trying to call the lady back 50 times she finally calls us back to tell us that she just spoke with the manager at the service department and he says that there was "black sludge" in the oil filter, and that we had neglected the vehicle and that was why it was in the shape it was in and the one receipt we had was not enough, so unfortunately they weren't going to be able to replace the motor! My fiancé asked her... "So even though the vehicle has a recall, or is under some extended warranty due to excessive oil consumption, which has probably led the vehicle to the shape it's in, you’re telling me there is absolutely nothing you can do because the manager at the dealership told you we neglected the car and because we could only provide one receipt where we changed the oil???

She replied "Yes sir unfortunately so... He says there is some kind of black sludge due to not changing the oil, and the one receipt isn't enough proof!" My fiancé asked her if there was some kind of law stating that we had to take our vehicles to an actual dealership to have an oil change and get documentation!? And she replied "No sir there is no law!" We both were just SO upset and mad that he just hung up on her and turned around to head back to the dealerships service station but they had already closed! I just cried the whole way home! Thinking... what am I going to do!? I have no vehicle. I haven't had one for a month now. And it's all up to me to fix it now! I went and talked to my father about it, because I didn't know what to do and needed his advice since his name was on the loan as well!

He advised me to look into the "Lemon Law"... so I did! In the meantime I called the dealership to ask them where the vehicle was because I needed to have it towed back to the house until I figured out what to do. I didn't know if they still had it in the shop or had already shoved it out back like he said! He told me that yes it out back AND before they could even release the vehicle to us that I needed to take care of my bill for 600 dollars where they tore the motor apart to diagnose the problem and put it back together! Which I wasn't aware of... but he said I was because I signed a paper that stated that! Okay. Not only do I not have a vehicle but I just had to make the monthly payment on it which was 300 dollars but NOW I gotta come up with 600 dollars just to get the keys and have it towed outta there! In the meantime someone contacted me from a law firm through the "Lemon Law" website I went on!

They told me I needed to get all the information on the vehicle and a copy of the warranty and all documentation that the dealership had record of from previous times I had the vehicle to them! So I did... only to get told that where I declined to have the "oil consumption diagnostic test" done before, that they wouldn't look into my case! What do I do now? My father called over to the dealership to tell them the vehicle was gonna have to sit for a while because I was still trying to come up with the 600 dollars to pay them! He asked them how much it would cost for them to just replace the motor, and for a new motor from "GM" 2 year warranty I do believe it was going to be around 7 thousand dollars, BUT they called around and found a used one with low mileage for 2,500! As of now mine had around 88,000 miles on it! I put a little 20,000 miles on it from the time I bought it!

My father and I decided to just try and pay to have a used motor put in it because there was no way either one of us could come up with 7 thousand dollars for a new motor! We went to the bank where the loan was through and tried to have it refinanced, and get an extra 3000 to get it fixed, and that was a no go! We went to several other places to try and get a loan even just until I got my tax return in a few months and was able to pay it back and nowhere would help us out, as I stated before... My credit is not good, and my father’s debt to ratio was too much! What do I even do now? I’ve been without a vehicle for over a month, still making the payments on it and the motor is blew up, and I can't even get the money to fix it!

I was in such a mess over this vehicle and so upset and stressed out on top of other things going on in my life that the only thing I could think of to do is file "bankruptcy"... So I made an appointment with a lawyer and gathered up all the information I needed to take to my appointment, and one of the things I had to do was get my credit report and write down everything I owed! When I looked at my credit report I noticed that the loan for the vehicle wasn't even showing up, and that was the whole reason I was going to file "bankruptcy". Come to find out, my name isn't even on the loan! Just my father’s name. So that's a no go!

So NOW it has been almost 2 months since I have been without a vehicle and dealt with all this **, and it's still sitting over to the dealership in their building out back, with no way of getting it fixed until February or March when I get my tax return, and this WHOLE mess has now become all on my poor father (which just found out he has skin cancer on his nose) because the vehicle is only in his name! I have never in my life been in such a situation where I feel so helpless and like a total failure! I don't even know what to think, or say or even do about this mess! I'm clueless! That's my experience with GM Motors!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

GMC service reps informed us that the GMC 3500 trucks can sometimes have major problems with fuel system. Causing metal particles to travel throughout the engine and other parts. Had to leave my car truck for 20 days at George's Chevrolet to be repaired. Not only did they not repair my truck properly the 1st time but the only loaner they could give me was a Chevrolet 1500 Silverado that not only leaked oil but didn't have the horsepower that I needed to pull my trailer. I'm a landscaper and I'm self-employed and need all my equipment for work, i.e. my GMC 3500 to pull trailer. I incurred loss of wages/revenue due to leaks from loaner truck and unable to pull equipment. GMC stepped in and assured me after several telephone calls later that I would be compensated for my loss of revenue and as a dissatisfied experience at George's Chevrolet. Again after several other calls we finally agreed on compensation and that was basically an extended warranty.

After several months later we still haven't received extended warranty that was promised by Gilbert, GMC customer assistance. Gilbert called me several times to follow up and assure me it was approved and I would be able to take truck anywhere to get serviced in 2 days, 2 times this month. I received an email stating that I would have to wait another week. I took the day off of work to get my truck serviced and I am unable to do that now until I actually get documentation stating I can do so. When I called Gilbert at GMC asking him why he misled me he simply said I was wrong and there is nothing I can do about it. In other words "OH WELL". I now need to wait for my documents to get my "WORK TRUCK" serviced and hope it doesn't break down or cause any further damages to my engine.

This has been a nightmare. Not only has it hurt my wallet but my reputation as a dependable landscaper to my clients. As a self-employed landscaper my dependability is everything to stayed employed and get new clients/references. This has really cost me more than they can ever comprehend. As a long time and loyal customer to GMC I am very dissatisfied to say the least and will never recommend this company again. As soon as I can afford to get a new truck I will definitely not get another GMC. I know now that they are not dependable/reliable vehicles nor do they care about their consumers.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

2016 Yukon XL AC condenser went out along with thousands of other GM models. I don’t understand why they will not recall this when there is a faulty welding issue. Part in back order since May of 2016!!! So not fair when you spend $70,000 on a car and the AC goes out in a year. I had a 2010 Suburban BF this Yukon that had electrical issues GM knew about and wouldn’t recall! NEVER EVER again will I buy a GM product and I’ve had them for the last 20 years buying a new one every 3-4 years. There should be some class action suit to get these condensers fixed on GM’s dollar. Not someone who just spent 70k on a luxury SUV! So frustrated.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

Purchased used vehicle in 2015. 1 year later transmission failed (2008 Saturn Vue XR). Turns out to be 3-5-r waveplate. Part was not heat treated to spec in this year’s vehicle (faulty part). Should have been a recall for this problem. GM finally honored coverage of said repairs but only 120,000 miles or less. My vehicle had 123,000 miles when this happened. GM would not honor repairs even though the said faulty part was installed into transmission during assembly.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

I have a 2014 Chev Sonic, all 4 wheels are rusted, I went to the GM dealer and he told me that it was poor quality metal because they were made in Korea. Needed to contact GM. After 2 weeks of no news, I contacted GM customer service. They would check into it, 3 weeks later they told me there was no warranty but the dealer would paint them. The dealer said we would order the paint. That was in late June. They have still not contacted me. I went back last week to the dealer because the top center of the rubber steering wheel is worn smooth, not cover and no explication as why. I worked for GM dealers for 37 years and have seen a lot that was passed under warranty that should not have. The car is under 3 years old and less than 50,000 kilometers. I was a GM man all my life but that is over now. Never again.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

I talked to a GM "ambassador" about getting off-warranty work done this month. My 2005 GMC Canyon warranty was extended to 2013 or 160,000km because of valve problems. My vehicle had 108,946km on it when the check engine light came. A Tirecraft shop examined the truck and said I had burnt valves. I phoned the GM rep and was told to take it to a GM dealership to confirm that. The dealership charged me $368.98 to confirm what Tirecraft had diagnosed for only $221.66. The dealership said that they would only knock 5% off the $6000 repair bill. GM knows how much these repairs cost so the company rep should have been up front with me about what could be done before I took the truck in. I wasted my time as the repairs are more than my truck is worth. GM had no plans to help me even before I brought my truck in.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

I took my vehicle (2012 Equinox) to the dealership to have my piston rings replaced due to a recall. After having them replaced there was a noise coming from under the hood. I asked the dealership what was this noise, after having my vehicle for a month I was told that the noise is coming from a Vacuum which comes from the pistons not working properly. I was told that I must pay for this to be fixed because its not under warranty. My problem is that if the piston rings caused this and there's a recall for this, then the Vacuum problem should be in recall as well. I contacted GM and they told me the same thing the dealership said but added that this has not been seen in all vehicles. How many have to have this problem for GM to make it their priority? Not fair to pay for something that was caused by a recall!!!

Original review: July 14, 2017

I purchased a 2015 Silverado in December 2015. Advertised MPG is 17/18 City and 21 HWY. According to my calculations AND the truck computer, it averages less than 11 MPG and has never averaged more than 12-13. Even on a long trip, the best MPG I have ever gotten has been in the 14 range. I took it to my dealer and was told that this is consistent with many trucks they see while others get better gas mileage; apparently lots of variation. Important to note that GM has been sued via class action on many other categories of vehicles for the exact same issue and has had to pay large settlements to owners.

I also have a very expensive feature that I paid for called "Radio Time shift." It is a DVR in the radio... one can rewind any radio station up to 15 minutes if you do not change the channel to listen to songs again. The feature does not work. Took to dealer and was told that there is no fix for the problem, in fact GM has a bulletin "PIC6110B: Timeshift Audio Playback Choppy Distorted." Apparently, this is a widespread problem. This "Time shift" feature / option was removed from all GM models the following year (2017).

Original review: June 16, 2017

GM customer care and service department are awful. On May 20th, I purchased a 2016 Camaro 2SS with 2700 miles on it. By May 30th it was acting up and in the shop for warranty work. It is now June 16th, and the dealership still has my car. And that is GM's fault. After a week the dealership was stumped and began requesting assistance from GM. After two weeks of still being stumped, the dealership began requesting a field engineer, since they had not been able to diagnose the issue in over two weeks. GM will not give them an answer.

It's a less than one year old car with 2700 miles on it and it's been in the shop now for three weeks straight and counting, don't you think at this point it's an issue worth expediting? It's not an old car. It has very low mileage and should not have any issues. It's an almost $50,000 car for goodness sake. But in GM fashion they won't move until my attorney contacts them about a lemon law suit, and a civil suit for car payments, registration, taxes, loss of use, and being overall terrible to work with. Oh well, I guess GM doesn't care about another lemon on their record and another lawsuit lost.

Original review: June 1, 2017

Two weeks ago my engine light came on on my 2004 Chevrolet SSR. I took it in for routine maintenance and to have the light checked. About 10 days later, the Dealer contacted me and told me that they were unavailable to obtain the part needed and consequently, the engine light would not go off. The result of the light's staying on is that I am completely unable to use my eight year old vehicle which has fewer than 80,000 miles! I am unable to get the vehicle inspected, unable to sell it and if I were to drive it and something major went wrong I wouldn't know it because the light stays on!

General Motors solution was to give me a list of "internal websites?" in order for me to search for the part myself. I had previously searched approximately twenty sites and a friend who owns a salvage yard is searching salvage yards for me. I have now searched another 29 internet sites GM provided to me and six salvage yards. When I bought this vehicle, I paid between $50,000 and $60,000 for it. It was the first vehicle I had ever bought by myself (following my husband's death). I am wondering if anyone has experience with suing GM over something like this. I consider this vehicle completely unusable and had planned to keep it until passing it down to a child of mine.

Original review: May 20, 2017

Bought brand New in 2011, my wife LOVES it. 2016, Exhaust Manifold & Catalytic Converter cracked. My wife brought it in. Dealer, Goldstein Buick GMC; Albany, NY; was going to charge $3000+ to replace. They Told her there was NO recall with this fix. A third party garage did the work for $1500. I called GMC and was told would 'NOT' be reimbursed because work was done at third party garage. The Rep told me, "Wait a Minute, the garage is not Warranted. "THE TRUCK" is Warranted! Plus, we just saved you Half the Price for the job! Goldstein Buick GMC was going to charge us over $3000!" I looked up online and found 10 recalls with the Terrain. My wife found a letter claim form in her glove box. We filled it out and sent it in with the receipt. Still waiting for a refund. One week later; The Transmission & Transfer Case catastrophic, Mechanical Breakdown. Manufacture Defect. 55,000 miles!! GMC-JUNK. Fighting again.

Original review: May 17, 2017

In October of 2016 the engine light came on, and it was discovered to have been caused by the mass airflow system. I had this part replaced but within a few days the light was on again. I brought the car back to the shop and the part was replaced a second time. Upon test drive, the light again came back on. A third part was ordered and replaced. When the light came on for the fourth time, my mechanic ran through the wiring system but did not find anything out of the ordinary. He ran checks on the gas pedal and various other sensors. He then deduced that the problem was not with any of the sensors, nor any of the mechanical systems in the vehicle. He thought it might be the ECM, but advised me to bring the car to Central Chevrolet to have them look deeper into the issue.

The Astra was taken to Central Chevrolet, where they subsequently ran diagnostics and discovered that the ECM was, in fact, bad. I inquired about purchasing an ECM from a parts site that I will not name, but was informed that GM would be unable to or would not program the computer unless it was an OEM part. At this point, my hands were tied. I would have to spend $700 on the part if I wanted my car to run properly again. I bit the bullet and told them to go ahead and move forward with the repair.

Central Chevrolet received the part and assigned one of their GM technicians to begin the programming. As the process neared completion, the ECM was bricked. A second ECM was purchased and a second, more qualified GM tech was assigned to do the programming. He was on the phone with either a TAC or TISS representative I can't recall which and together they went through the programming process step by step. Again, the programming failed toward the end and bricked the part. It was not until after this second part failed that GM decided to inform the service department at Central Chevrolet that the pre-2009 Saturn software for this part is no longer available.

So here I am now, six months after the engine light first came on and at least six weeks without my vehicle. As I was without the car for several days here and there for troubleshooting between October and March, the inconvenience is even greater. How can GM just let software go away for a car that is not even ten years old? It's software, it's not like it's taking up a bunch of space in a warehouse somewhere. Additionally, how does GM sell a part to a repair shop TWICE without advising that the software required to make it work no longer exists? And then to wait until AFTER the second part bricks?

I called GM's customer service line and spoke with Joe, who sent me to Shaneva. Shaneva informed me that she would call Central Chevrolet for more details, and that I would have to wait 24-72 hours before receiving an update. The call came at the 72nd hour. When Shaneva informed me that in lieu of a resolution, I was being offered an Owner's Loyalty Certification, I asked to be directed to a supervisor. I was told my call would be returned within 24-48 hours. I received no response within that time frame, and I actually had to call back again.

I have since retrieved my car from Central Chevrolet. It is now in much worse condition than it was when I brought it in, and the vehicle is simply not safe to drive. I expected the original issue to still be a problem. I did NOT expect to be left with a car that I can no longer drive AT ALL! I have been a GM customer/vehicle owner for over 20 years, and I have never had a problem, until now. I am extremely disappointed in the way this situation has been unfolding. When I purchase a car, I expect it to get old and to need repairs. I also expect to have the choice of whether to make those repairs. In this situation, not only do I have no choice, but GM has the gall to offer me an Owner's Loyalty Certificate with the expectation that I would purchase another GM product.

Original review: April 19, 2017

I own a 09 Saturn Vue and have been pretty happy with it till now. My Saturn seems to be having transmission problems, the gears keep getting stuck which causing the engine light to come but after a day or two it goes away on its own. I experienced this problem now twice. Found a letter from Saturn stating some models had a fractured wave plate which would cause tranny to slip gears, low 3rd or 4th gear etc.

I took my car to GM to drop-off service. Advisor tells me I would pay 120 if it wasn't the wave plate. I get a call today stating they need me to authorize a 1600 charge for them taking apart my transmission which it could be under warranty or it could be not. Long story short I would not authorize that since I was never told that when I first came in. The manager was arguing with my boyfriend and I left with my Saturn Vue being untouched. They didn't even care that my car could possibly have that issue and they would have to honor that at no charge. So they try to get money another way. Sneaky GM. It's sad they won't even look at the car that's a Product of their GM motors. Horrible!

General Motors Company Information