3.9/5 (745 ratings)
Get Pricing on Rydeshopper

Ready for a new vehicle?

Take advantage of high trade in values today with Carvana!

Get your offer

About General Motors

General Motors, also called GM, is a major national auto manufacturer of trucks, SUVs, crossovers and vans under several different brands. Read reviews for their models:

Ready for a new vehicle?

Take advantage of high trade in values today with Carvana!

Get your offer

General Motors Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about General Motors?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about General Motors?

Original review: Sept. 28, 2022

GMC is a bunch of scam artists. Features for my vehicle cost an extra $4805.00 total. GMC gave me a whopping discount of $125.00 for when I purchased it. I’ve had my vehicle for 5 months and have paid $650.00 so far for those features that I CANNOT USE BECAUSE I’m still waiting on the chips. Essentially, you’ve taken $525 of my money for no reason.

I’ve called the customer care 4 times and no one will let me speak to a supervisor. One rep told me that the dealership had to compensate me because it’s not GMC responsibility. The rep also told me that they don’t have a date in the foreseeable future for when those chips will come in for my particular vehicle. Tell me how that’s fair? For me to pay an extra $130 a month for something I can’t use and no one can tell me when I can because GMC is cherry picking what vehicles get the chips first. I called the dealership and they said GMC is pushing me off onto them for GMC mistake. GMC gave a timeline of when the chips were supposed to be in and it’s surpassed that timeline.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2022

I am a proud owner or was to own a Chevy Malibu. I paid $2,700 cash for a rebuilt title Chevy Malibu. I was sideswiped and owner of landscaping company wrote a check for $4,400 to have fixed. One month later, person runs a red light. No license or insurance. My Chevy Malibu was totaled. The owner's car insurance company gave me $4,300 for the car. I made $6,000 from that car. Best investment and car ever. My Chevy Malibu LS did what she was made for: get me to work safely, drive around town, enjoy vacations and road trips. My Chevy Malibu was one of a kind. I love her and she loved me. That Malibu saved my life and would have saved your life. Through not my fault, she is gone but not forgotten. RIp.

I say this, I'm glad I was a proud owner of a 2010 Chevy Malibu LS. I got a Ford Fusion as a replacement and 6 months later the transmission goes out. $4,000 to replace/fix the transmission. I will leave that Ford where it is and Ford is worse car to buy. I'll save to buy another Chevy or try to save. I'll never own another car like my 2010 Chevy Malibu but I'll own somehow or way one day I hope to be a proud owner again of a General Motors/Chevy car. And if I can't buy a Chevy Thank you for being the best and making the best.

Get buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Resolution response: Sept. 19, 2022

Resolved.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2022

After owning my Chevy Cruze for over 5 years, a friend showed me that the branding on the car is misspelled. Thought I had a Chevrolet not a Chevroet...am sure they have been laughing their lungs out for the whole 5 years.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2022

I have a 2018 Buick Regal Tour with 8100 miles. It has had two AC compressors replaced, three new batteries, a new alternator, the AC temperature aductor door replaced where the repair may have damaged the main wire to the computer module. The dealer had the car three times this years including two weeks in June when they only started the car each day. This was despite my asking for a senior technician to perform an electric check as something was draining the battery. The car would not start after sitting three days. It came to a point that the car was unable to be driven for fear of being stranded. I had to take the car to a local auto electric shop who found two intermittent batery drains. They had to replace the damaged wire then the computer module.

My extended warranty refused to pay as it was under the GM extended warranty which was worthless in the end as the dealer does not take the time to diagnosed a vehicle under warranty which is owned by a disabled person. GM refuses to reimburse the $1261 for diagnosis which was over one half of the bill. At least I found someone to make the car usuable. I really think that something may have been defective all alone. Like many others, we bought GM except for the 1980s then went back. Perhaps it is time to once again bail. Honestly all this on a car with 8100 miles.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2022

While out of state on vacation engine threw a rod on brand new 2021 Chevy Silverado trail boss with less than 2,000 miles. Had to be towed to dealership. Paid for a ride to pick us up and take us home. No rental cars available. Paid for transportation to and from work one hour each way with Venmo transactions and check to prove. Not a penny of reimbursement received. All of my prior vehicles have been GM. My next one will not. GM does NOT care about their customers. Very dissatisfied with the quality of their products and their non-existent customer service.

Original review: July 28, 2022

I purchased 2 GM products in the last 45 days! 2022 Terrain Denali. 2022 Buick Envision Avenir. Both of the cars ARE NOT FULLY FUNCTIONAL at this point in that BOTH ARE MISSING CHIPS. I have owned more than 50 of your vehicles (Cadillac, TransAm, Jimmy, Buick, Chevrolet, Envoy, Terrain) over the years. After spending more than $90,000 on 2 these cars and more than $2,000,000 overall on your vehicles (We often own 2 or more at the same time. We presently have three in our family.) I expect better treatment than that!

Today I engaged in a text conversation with one of your representative (Breanna). She was of no assistance whatsoever, and was borderline rude giving canned answers about a chip shortage and problems across the industry. I asked her to have her supervisor contact me and she promptly informed me that “There is no one above me who is customer facing.” Must be nice not to have a boss.

As a very loyal customer for over 50 years. I AM VERY UNHAPPY WITH THE SERVICE AND LACK OF APPRECIATION FOR MY LOYALTY. I expect this matter to be resolved quickly and efficiently. Both of my cars should be fully functional. I am purchasing your highest trim levels and will settle for nothing but the best. Additionally, I am expecting that General Motors provide me with some type of remuneration for the inconvenience I am experiencing with not one but two brand-new vehicles. I look forward to your immediate response. Below find the information on my vehicles.

Original review: July 25, 2022

I traded in my leased 2019 CT6 for a 2022 CT5 V lease. This was June 10th. Since July 5th, the vehicle has been in the shop. They are not sure where the noise is coming from under the car. No parts also.

Original review: July 23, 2022

Corresponded with Executive management, was promised discount, then denied. Bought vehicle, 7 days later, given discount code to get $3000 off, now GM says nothing they can do. I have tried, talking to executive resolution team, still no help. I have all emails with information to prove I was lied to. I feel like I was more manipulated in buying a GM, being promised a discount.

Original review: July 11, 2022

GM NIGHTMARE FROM DAY ONE. The selling dealership tried to steal over 7k in finance charges by lying and saying 0 for 72 wasn't on our car when it was,

GM was no help at all, GM financial fixed it. From the first oil change we mentioned we smelt coolant and at 6k we had to add coolant.NEVER addressed or found even with the fact they smelt it. First big service: Took to Friendly Chevrolet for an oil change balance and filters and alignment.

They static balanced tired (shook at 40 mph so bad wheel shook after picking up) Left the coolant bottle bone dry after we mentioned we had to add coolant. Documented GM case. The dealership wouldn’t return emails or calls. Took to NTB all tires were over 2 ounces off tie rods were not even touched. (Not aligned) and our mpg went down. No synthetic oil was put in. So had to pay for balance alignment and oil change all over within 48 hours and once again GM did nothing and I'm out 400.00 and MPG came back up. Found that out on my own. New tech straight out of car wash did the whole ticket on wife's car. Once again GM did NOTHING.

Then we take car to Clay Cooley for oil change and filters once again mentioning we have to add coolant. They had been servicing for over 2 years. Wait 3 hours to have the advisor come tell me there is a issue with oil pan, drain plug stripped. Told him it was his problem because they had done last 2 years of oil changes, manager offers half off. Said ** not paying a penny for their hack lube techs ** up wife's car. They then asked if I had an extended warranty and they attempted to charge them till I found out and called alley and explained the line they added to ro was for a loss of coolant, not an oil leak. Committed fraud by adding a line that the customer states there is an oil leak.. Alley didn’t pay.

Pick up the car after over a month of waiting for the oil pan and on the passenger floor mat where the cabin filter door clips. (They broke the door off and left parts laying there). Tech was not bright enough to hide parts and once again picked the car up with an empty coolant bottle and GM did nothing Documented GM case and Alley extended warranty fraud case.

Fast forward to the week of 6 6 22 I have to add coolant again and find the leak myself. It’s the radiator. Call up the dealership we go to now to find out GM discontinued the radiator (Seriously WoW on a 4-year-old car). Call GM and told to go to AutoZone because no one had a GM one after she looked. I found a NOS radiator online and on Saturday 6 18 22 I put it in myself because I have no faith in GM factory trained techs and now it is out of warranty.

I was a mechanic for 45 years from Cadillac to Lexus and a decade at independents, From service manager to group leader and always an A tech mechanic.

So I am out the cost of a radiator that should have been fixed under warranty or extended warranty 4 gallons of coolant over the last 4 years and a few hours of labor on Saturday let alone the hours of nightmares dealing with GM as a whole. I open another case with GM and am offered a 100 service credit for the fact they discontinued the radiator and blew off yet again.

I explained that was in no way enough to even cover radiator and coolant let alone my time replacing radiator and the senior advisor pretty much said that is all GM will do, This will be going to every one from attorney general, consumer protection and a local new channel I am 62 and can spend the rest of my life telling my story if this is how GM wants to end this.

Ron **

Video proof along with all the documentation and pictures. I have original rad and will keep until either court or GM makes me whole. The sad part is Wife loves the car but make no mistake about it after owning GM`s my whole life from my first car this will be the last in our driveway. ** 7/11/2022 Final insult after GM not helping in any way shape or form was I was required to take it to a GM dealership to be repaired in order to get any assistance. All I was asking for was to be reimbursed for the radiator and coolant. And now that the car is out of warranty by 45 days that would have cost me 450+ for parts and 6.3 hours of labor at over 1100.00 so 15 to 17 hundred to here GM say there is nothing they can do AGAIN. All I asked for was 140.00. Buyers beware.

Original review: May 27, 2022

We purchased a 2021 Chevy Silverado Custom Trail Boss, BRAND NEW! We have had the truck in for service more than we have driven the vehicle, just hit 10K miles, we reached out to GM to see if they would help, refused to buy the truck back, then offered us a $250 accessory credit, that was sent to us in the mail, then we were told it can be used online or at a dealer, went to dealer can't use it there, went online can't use it there! BIG SURPRISE. Called several times, but nothing, no help.

The case got transferred to another rep, who told us she would put the credit on our GM Rewards, then the next rep Tanya, who may I add is a very rude individual and basically said that offer is declined, and I am taking over the case there is no one above me to speak with, you'll take the offer or that is it. EXCUSE ME, no that is not it, we have paid a lot of money and to be treated like Crap as a customer, that is unacceptable, I'm sorry Tanya you hate your job, but to be rude to the people who keep you employed is not acceptable! I will never again buy another GM product, and Tanya can be thanked for that!

General Motors Company Information