2. Automotive
  3. Car Brands

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.49/5

Mini Cooper Reviews

Original review: Dec. 22, 2019

Mini Cooper convertible S car is a very sturdy, fun ride. Mini has since updated their options which now includes a much more comfortable ride with a lot more options. Love the ease of the convertible top. The ride was a bit stiff for long distance motoring but has since been fixed to accommodate more comfort, electric seats, backup cameras, just to name a few. Such a sporty fun ride that I feel very safe in.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

Great car, street legal go cart. Sporty quick and a wonderful community of drivers. Small head turning car. All in all best car I have ever owned and still a manual option. Now I am out of words to add to get this glowing review.

Get expert buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

Our countryman (standard) is fun and does good on gas. Very roomy. I'm 6'4. So I know what I'm talking about. We just dot back from a 650 mile round trip. Enjoyed the trip. Do it again. We would highly recommend the countryman. If you want a little fun in your life this is the car. My age is 68.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

Love the car although it's not as reliable as Toyota. But then, you don't buy a Mini if you're shopping for Toyota's. I've had some issues with bad battery connections and the cap on my emergency break has been broken since I got it. I will day that I've left it parked for up to 3 months and it started up just fine.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

If I could give negative stars, I would. After owning this car barely 4 years, and JUST as the warranty expired, the engine pulley had to be replaced. Lights came on "Battery Malfunction" "Engine Overheated- turn off car", do not drive, etc. Mini changed how they made this part in 2016 but have failed to recall it in this model. They only recalled the S Cooper. In spite of this part being a problem, they refuse to reimburse car owners for the very expensive repairs.

"Courtney" from Mini USA called to give me her speech on this not being a known problem, even though they changed how they made it the next year. She also said it was too bad for me since I agreed to pay the service department for the repairs. I told her I was stranded at the grocery store when the lights came on and had to have it towed to the dealer. Was I supposed to walk to work? She said the warranty expired and I should've bought the extended warranty at purchase. I said the car should've lasted more than 4 years without an engine issue! Obviously, BMW USA AND MINI USA couldn't care less about standing behind their cars once they have your money. Your only recourse is to spend more money for when they break down. IF I CAN GET RID OF THIS LEMON, I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER MINI EVER!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mini Cooper?

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

I bought a 2016 Mini Cooper from Monrovia Mini Cooper in 2016. I'm the original owner. I have taken the car back for tire vibration and was told that is because I bought the sport edition and the ride is rougher. I later found out that was a lie when I took my car to Just Tires to do an alignment. I was actually told my rear tires are cupping and this is due to either the shock or the rear struts are worn out. I took my car to Mini Cooper and they told me this is a low problem with the Mini Cooper as the rear end of the car is to light. So you either have to rotate your tires more often or buy new tires more often. I also noticed that my transmission started feeling like it was slipping as it would jerk my head back from time to time. I took my car to the same dealer for this issue as well and they said there is nothing they can do until they can replicate the issue.

I have taken my car at least 10 time for the same issue with the transmission. I told the service Mgr. if I would have known about the tire issue prior to my purchase I would not have purchased the car. I also said that the transmission is a safety issue as I was stopped at a red light and it turned green but I have no transmission as the car would not move until I raced the engine and it grabbed into gear and I almost hit the car in front of me. NOTE: I feel this car is a LEMON but Mini will not do anything.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

We had a 2016 Mini Cooper S, very zippy and responsive, stereo was wonderful...BUT it is horrible in snow, the seats hurt your back and neck. It rides like a potato cart. We traded it in for a Ram truck. We spent 40 days, with over 5 hours on hold WAITING to get confirmation of payoff. They lost the first check even though it had proof of delivery. After 3 weeks of no check, Ram stopped the first check, REISSUED another, more proof of delivery, they lost that one too. The local consumer advocate, and threat of lawsuit inspired them to locate the 2nd check. They were rude and short with me, the customer, because I was weary of no action, and NO answers, and NO RESULTS. MY ADVICE don't spend the money on a Mini Cooper. If you do, good luck. Lynae **.

Original review: July 23, 2019

We absolutely love our late 2017 Mini Countryman Cooper S ALL4, reliable, sporty and fun to drive. However, the radiator design is flawed and prone to damage by rocks that can enter via the large grill opening in the bumper. The design is such that the cooling fins of the radiator are located between the cooling pipes whereas most cars the cooling fins also go in front of the radiator. The issues is when a rock enters, it can pierce a hole in the exposed cooling pipes (the vertical lines either side of the cooling fins) rather than the fins absorbing the impact of a stone as they do on more traditional radiators. Though it is a design flaw, it is not under warranty as is is caused by general wear and tear and not a manufacturing or assembly fault. CAD ~$300 parts and ~$400 labor plus tax made it a bill of CAD $900 to replace the radiator.

Original review: July 4, 2019

This is by no stretch, the worst car on the face of the planet. I say this in all fairness to mini and BMW. I had to have the engine changed four times. The turbo changed 3 times and the transmission changed twice. All with less than 85000 miles on the car. I have spent over $50,000 on this car because my wife loved it and wanted to keep it. I currently still have the vehicle. It still runs after repairing it last but, I paid more to repair it than it is worth (blue book). So I will drive it till it breaks then scrap it.

I bought her a brand new Nissan. It has had no issues nor do I expect it to in the near future. I just spent another 2300 on the car to have other "Plastic" components fixed to repair the car to make it usable. However, if I had thought it through I would have taken the car to a scrap yard instead. If I could have given Mini a negative star review I would have. The kicker here is the fact that they "Mini" knowingly sale crap vehicles to the public. Knowing the issues exist but failing to accept responsibility for the shortcomings is truly the real issue that makes me hate them.

I feel there are a few things everyone should know. Yes, the mini is a very fun car to drive when it works and while it last. However, this is few and very far between. The cars reliability rating should be sitting in the negative range. I say this because as long as I have owned the car it has sat in the service department more than it has been on the road. I have had lots of awesome rentals over the years though. Thus the reason for the purchase of the new Nissan. Do yourself a favor and stay away from this company that fails to own their mistakes. Instead, you will be left to pay for them if you make the purchase. I recommend any other manufacturer over Mini. I don't say that lightly. I haven't seen one that would provide such an inferior product all while failing to uphold a warranty. Take my advice and RUN from Mini. It is truly a terrible company to deal with. Worst reliability of any car I have owned.

Original review: June 3, 2019

I purchased a new 2017 Mini Cooper Clubman from Vista MINI in Florida. The car currently has 30k miles and it has had several problems. The car currently has a strong vibration problem which affects the acceleration. The car has been in a MINI Service Center 3-times for the same problem. The dealership acknowledged this problem to affect the non-turbo models. There is no current fix for this safety concern according to the dealership's service center. MINI solution to the problem is spending more money on a more expensive S model. If you are interested in purchasing a MINI please check all consumer complaints before the purchase.

Is your car out of warranty?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right extended auto warranty for you.

Mini Cooper Company Information