Get peace of Mind

Be comforted knowing that your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend My Warranty
2.10/5

Get peace of Mind

Be comforted knowing that your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend My Warranty

703 Mini Cooper Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 6, 2019

This is definitely worst car in history. I honestly believe the Germans are trying to pay us back for kicking their ** during World War II. I bought this car for my daughter two years ago. It only had 57000 miles. I bought it from a salesperson in offer up. Vehicle drove nice during the testing drive. I just wished I would’ve done some homework before saying yes to my lovely daughter. Instead of going with my heart I should’ve gone with my gut feeling of never buying European cars. Oh well. Vehicle ran good for about 5000 miles. First thing I noticed was an oil leak. Oil housing gasket needed to be replaced. Turbo oil line needed to also be changed.

Luckily, I did these changes myself which saved me about 2000 dollars. Ran good for about a month then the light engine turned on. Misfire on Cylinder 1. I replaced all spark plugs and coils. After a few weeks, light went on again. This time it was the valve cover. Replaced it myself. Light goes on again. This time I replaced several sensors. Again, oil leak. Oil housing gaskets changed again. Rattling noise began coming from engine. Open valve cover and noticed chain retention rail broken. This is common on all Turbo minis. Replaced top rail retainer and cleaned out the oil pan gasket. During cleaning parts of the rail were obstructing oil pump mesh. Mini recommended to chain whole chain costing me 2100 plus 600 for cleaning oil pan. No Ty. I will do it myself.

Mini ran good for about a week when light light up again. This time it was the vacuum pump. Replaced it myself. Vehicle ran good for a week until one day I get lots of white smoke coming off the exhaust pipe. No engine light though and no sign of over heating. What gives?? I’m afraid this time the head gaskets could be the issue. I’m done with this car. Two years of unbelievable headaches. Like I said worst car ever. Btw, I'm selling it to CarMax. I just don’t have the heart to give someone else this piece of junk... never again am I buying a Mini... I have noticed I don’t see them on the road as much as before.

Original review: March 4, 2019

I had my 2012 4 door Mini Cooper piece of junk for 2 years and needed to return to the dealer at least 12 times for various repairs. This car is a piece of junk. Nothing about it is normal. You can't buy a normal battery for $100 because the Mini battery has a stupid vent hose, so of course it's going to cost $350! You can't change a lightbulb on your own because a sensor light goes off that there is an electrical problem. It needed an engine gasket after only 60,000 miles. The engine light was constantly going off. And, of course, the stupid dealer would not covered under warranty! Do not buy this car! It shouldn't be offered to the public! Amazingly, Mini (BMW) put all the money into perfecting sensors for every stupid idiotic problem with the car, but no money into making a decent transmission and engine!

Get expert buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 2, 2019

We purchased a 2019 Mini Countryman 3 weeks ago. A overheating issue came up and coolant was leaking. Dealer says rocks punctured the radiator so it was not covered under warranty and we are trying to go through our insurance or we have to pay for it. My concern is that the makeup of the vehicle is such that a rock or rocks while driving on regular roads can cause this damage. This has to be extremely uncommon for any vehicle and curious if anyone has had this experience.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

I own a 2015 Mini Cooper Base Convertible. It came out of warranty 4 months ago but it only has 17,500 miles. The Check Engine Light came on and the car was stalling. Global Imports Mini, Chamblee, GA diagnosed the problem as Spark Plug Coils, and as a result over-heating and a new thermostat. $1250 later it's running great.

Don't keep a Mini past the warranty. Don't buy a used one out of warranty (unless you have a few thousand dollars to spare for repairs). The quality and robustness simply are not there. The car has been cheapened to the point the quality is almost, but not quite as good as a Czechoslovakian Yugo. When Mini's first came out they were great value...but BMW was losing money on them. Year by year the build cost and the quality have both come down and the car is a shadow of its former self (in terms of quality and reliability).

By the way...Mini USA doesn't care if you are 1 day and 1 mile out of warranty....you are on your own (if you didn't buy an extended warranty)! I asked them if the car is only supposed to last 17,500 miles before major repairs. They were really, really sorry and sympathized with me. But basically said, "Tough luck, you are on your own".

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I was hesitant to buy in first place. I bought new. It was a "cheesy" car. Everything was fragile. Window switches, seat belt labels, transmission shift mechanism, plastic trim, oh well. But it's had four (4) different turbos at $3,500 each. It's had a number of service bulletins/campaigns/recalls depending on what persons or entity you talk to. One turbo was under warranty, the rest were not. But then BMW Mini rebates the $3,500. A different recall changed some turbo related part. The day after I picked the Countryman up, it wouldn't start; Dead battery. I just put my charger on it. Started fine. The service advisor suggested probably drained while in shop. The battery was relatively new. It needed to be jumped or charged 5-6 times in next few months. Then I found out that the recall, service campaign or whatever resulted in electrical consumption after shutting off engine hence the battery drain.

Now I need a new battery; $300. INSANE. New FRONT brakes $700.00. REPAIR LEAK AT OIL FILTER MOUNTING FLANGE $1,300. I have owned a number of vehicles including Yugo, Smart, Mercedes, Porsche, THIS IS MY BIGGEST MISTAKE! My local dealer is immune to any logical argument about what is wrong or more importantly how it came to be so. Shame on them. The service costs are pathetically high- it's not a Porsche, performance is mediocre. I believe in "drive like a sport, pay like a sport." But this isn't that sporty. Next car; Toyota!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mini Cooper?

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I have now owned 3 Mini Coopers. A 2004 Cooper 2dr hardtop with a 5 speed manual purchased in 2018 with 151k miles, a 2013 Cooper S 6 speed manual bought in 2016 with 21k miles, and a 2016 4dr hardtop Cooper S 6 speed manual purchased new. I have loved each of these cars! My 2016 I was in an accident with that totalled the car and the car kept me totally safe. I had no problems with this car, in fact I put 64k miles on it in under 2 yrs with no issues.

The 2004 was intended to be a little junker until I bought something new after my accident with the 2016 Cooper S. This car has been so reliable and is so easy on gas and economical that I will keep it till it dies, and I have already put over 12k miles on it for a grand total of 164k! There are issues with the dimmer switch for high beam headlights beginning to wear out which makes the brights come on when I put on the blinker if I'm not careful, and the parking brake no longer holds, and a previous owner dismantled part of the dashboard so I do not have the large speedometer, or a working gas gauge LOL! It had no exhaust system, only the manifold was left, and I put in a new exhaust pipe, muffler, and all of the components needed to mount it for about $800. But even with these quirks I love this car! No problems with transmission or engine.

The 2013 was my son's car and I admit he has been hard on this little vehicle. Not keeping up with all scheduled maintenance and racing any other sporty vehicle out there he could find, however this vehicle has had no high ticket issues. It has always started without issues and has been a very reliable car. I will be trading this car for a 2017 Cooper S Clubman because I want the AWD and a little bigger car, and I miss the 4 doors. All in all I am faithful to the Cooper vehicles and have been very happy with all of them that I have owned. I am truly surprised and saddened by the bad reviews posted here and that made me want to share my experience with them.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

My wife purchased a Countryman S in 2014. 60K miles and 4 years later it was still running fine and other than regular maintenance, no issues. We recently traded both our cars, her Mini and my Honda for a 2016 Countryman S and a 2013 Roadster S. The Countryman was like new, 16K miles on it, the Roadster was well used with 85K. Both cars run well. Seem clean and solid. As a normal precaution I immediately changed the oil/filter and transmission fluid. Old fluids looked fine. Purchased new brakes all around, waiting to have them installed. Our experience with Minis are that they have been reliable vehicles. But I will say that unless something is covered under warranty you can expect to pay a lot for parts/repairs. Regular maintenance is expensive as well... For example my transmission fluid came from Germany and was > $30.00 per quart. The cars are a lot of fun to drive, though. :D

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I bought 2 Mini Coopers. I bought a red 2005 Mini Cooper automatic for the wife and a silver 2008 Mini Cooper S 5 Speed for myself. I don't know which one of the 2 was the worst, they both spent more time at the repair shop than on the road. For such a good looking car they turn out to be one of the worst cars on the road. Even my dad's old Ford Pinto was a far better car than the Mini Cooper. Why do people keep buying them is beyond my expectations, we spent almost what we paid for them in repairs, when it wasn't one thing it was another overheating problems, brake problems, electrical problems, sunroof problems, but the worst was when we needed to get the oil change, we was charged $110. per car.

We will never ever own another Mini Cooper again even if they were giving them away for free, my wife Mini Cooper only had 46k miles and it was always in the repair shop. Meanwhile we traded her 2001 Honda Civic with a little over 200k miles and in all the time she had it, all it ever needed was oil changes and a new timing belt. We were so scared to drive too far from our home because we didn't know if we make it back home that night. BMW Mini Cooper that's one in the books for you as one of your biggest failure.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

We purchased a used Mini Cooper S for 6500 while trading in a car. This was going to be a car for a teen. The check engine light came on and we were back and forth to the dealer in Texas- Mini of Arlington multiple times and they kept resetting it doing no work. We gave up. We then found about the tailpipes recall and contacted Mini of Arlington again who said the recall had been done even though the pipes are clearly sticking out past the bumper. Then we have had intermittent issues with the turbo and there was a lawsuit regarding transmissions and now ours is slipping in 3 gear. We again took it back after owning it a year to mini of Arlington who again rejected any claims of recall work.

We stopped driving the car for the last 8 months due to issues with it. We moved to another state. We have now owned it over 2 years. My son was getting stuff out of the trunk as we drove it to the store and he suffered a burn to his leg due to the exhaust pipes sticking out past the bumpers. I contacted Mini corporate who asked for vin and other information. I took pictures of the exhaust and vin plates and sent it to them. They have since ignored me. I think a previous dealer did claim to have done recall work and never actually did it. If that isn't the case perhaps they entered the incorrect vin number. I need it fixed and they are denying repair. It now has transmission and turbo issues and my son has a burn and probable scaring.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

After reading the bad reviews I felt I had to say I bought my 2006 Cooper new from Mini Irvine. It has 115000 miles on the clock and has been trouble free. I recently had to replace the AC pump, but apart from that it had been only tires and brakes. An excellent car. WE have however serviced it regularly and I'm sure that helps.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I had fallen in love with Mini Coopers while stationed overseas, and finally got one for myself in 2016! I was so in love with that car and excited! For the first 5 months I had no problems! Put Blizzaks on it for winter and off I went. Then summer came and I found out that I had no AC in 95 degree weather. Then the bearings went out. I went to the dealership and from the get go, they made me feel like they had no interest in dealing with me at all. The guy who had been my salesman walked by me like he didn't know me when I said hello. Then, after driving 2 hours to their dealership, they tell me that they didn't have the part they thought they had for the AC and made me come back the NEXT Friday, AFTER I WAITED FOR 4 HOURS for them to tell me that.

Getting the bearings done on it was a nightmare with them. The mechanic didn't know I was the owner of the car and came in and said to the guy at the counter, "I really hate her car, it's terrible". I couldn't believe it! I immediately walked over and said, "why is that"? They had no clue what to do at that point. The service and lack of professionalism and customer service was the worst I've ever encountered in all the years I've been purchasing vehicles. If I had been smarter, I would've read the reviews prior to buying, but I was so excited about owning a MINI, that I didn't bother. Lesson learned. I will NEVER buy another Mini Cooper again, or anything to do with BMW for that matter.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I was in love with my Mini until it hit 70,000 miles. The first time I was stranded for an engine malfunction was a disappointment as well as a safety risk. If that would have been an isolated incident, I would not have thought much about it. Unfortunately, I keep having issues and getting stranded in the middle of nowhere. The "Motor-On" slogan should have a disclaimer that tells you to motor-on to the nearest dealership. I contacted Mini and there is nothing they are willing to do besides sell me another one. Why would I buy another least-reliable-vehicle-I-have-ever-owned? That would just be irresponsible. Do not buy this vehicle! Unless of course you have unlimited money to burn.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

I have (had) been a loyal Cincinnati Mini customer for the past 10 years. I have owned 2 vehicles and feel that that should have warranted me as a loyal customer. However, after my latest vehicle had over $15,000 in repairs, causing it to be worthless to both me, Mini and anyone else, I am not a happy customer. ($3000 repairs in February. Repairs in May estimated initially to be another $3700 (transfer case issue due to All Wheel Drive poor design), ended up being the transmission failure (additional $7000 estimate plus $4500 clutch that was shot after they put the transmission back in). I was willing to accept my loss, but the dealership decided to rub my nose in the issue by charging me an additional $590 to tell me the news. (And they expected me to be grateful for not charging me restocking fees for the parts they could not use).

I was told by the service department manager (Steve) that he would look into my "loyalty" dollars and see about getting me a "deal" on a new mini. (This was on Friday afternoon). By Monday, I had to call them to find out what the "deal" was. Basically it was a used demo that had no special features and would cost me over $30,000. I was basically treated like a piece of garbage. I ended up paying the $590 to tow it away (sold it for parts for $700). MINI offered to “keep it” in exchange for my $590 bill. How kind. There was no way I was going to give it to them to fix up and resell to an unsuspecting customer. I’m amazed that there hasn’t been a lawsuit come down about All Wheel Drive transfer case. Steve shared several times that it was a design flaw MINI was aware of. (I have been so upset by this experience it has taken me several months to calm down to report it. Do yourself a favor and really research the dealer and the car before buying).

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

Save your money and buy a car that will last more than 70,000 miles without having major issues! Unless you want to spend thousands of dollars in constant repairs so you can park in a small space. The company will NOT help you if you get a lemon, and apparently there are many!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

In the summer of 2016 I bought a used 2013 Mini Countryman S from a Mercedes Dealer at 75,000 KM (just under 50,000 mi) thinking it is German and therefore, quality. I also bought a 3 year extended warranty through a 3rd party carrier and thank god I did. The car is now at 105,000 km and we have had the vehicle into Mini BMW 4 times. The thermostat, solenoids, spark plugs, water pump, hoses, pipes, chains, belt and the headlights have all gone in that time. Every time I go in I have to pay the ridiculous diagnostic fee and the $300 deductible. Some of those repairs are routine maintenance, sure, but I also own a 2013 Kia Soul at 160,000 km which I’ve only had to replace a couple lights and the brakes and tires on. I’m going to sell the Mini as soon as I get a reasonable offer for it. It’s an absolute piece of garbage. I would never buy a Mini product again, and by proxy would never buy BMW. I’ve heard they’re just as bad.

Original review: July 26, 2018

Since March, 2018 I have been attempting to resolve an issue with the timing chain in my 2008 Mini Cooper S. The timing chain failed while the vehicle was in motion on the highway, causing the vehicle to lose power. A dealership has confirmed that the timing chain is in fact the problem with the vehicle (it may also be the case that the timing being off is causing issues with the valves). Conversations with the Mini USA customer relations and even BMW North American (their parent company) lead nowhere, and the manufacturer refuses to take any responsibility for the defective timing chains in these vehicles.

There was a class action lawsuit regarding these timing chains, but Mini somehow got away with not having to issue a recall despite the obvious safety issues caused by timing chain failure when a vehicle is in motion. It is criminal that Mini refuses to issue a recall and refuses to assist customers with necessary repairs associated with their defective manufacturing. These cars are fun to drive when they're operating properly, which isn't the case most of the time. I would rate them lower if I could, but 1 star is the minimum. Buyers beware! Mini is a shifty and dishonest company that will not stand behind its product.

Original review: July 22, 2018

My power steering has failed AGAIN. The first time was in 2013. Mini replaced it.... after much hassle... free of charge... (The car is 2005 model). It has just gone... in the middle of a roundabout! Scary experience! Diagnostic charge of £160 confirmed the obvious. Mini are adamant that they will only pay 50% of the charge... yet it was them who fitted the 2013 one that has failed. I need some advice, please. Thank you for reading.

Original review: July 10, 2018

Buyers Beware, I am no longer a Mini fan nor I will ever recommend to anyone I care about. My girlfriend and I both purchased a Mini at Monrovia, one was brand new and the other was used with low mileage. I have had many recalls to my new Mini, two of which I needed to be towed to the dealer. My girlfriend's gas tank needed to be replaced one month after it was purchased, and now she is getting a check engine light, and her AC doesn't work. To make matters worse, they provided me a loaner from Sonic Automotive with no insurance, did not offer extended coverage, nor did not make it clear that you need full coverage, they just have you sign a contract at the time you are stuck without a car. Unfortunately on the way back to drop off my loaner car, I was hit by a ** driver that had no insurance, suspended license, and a bad driving record of speeding and racing.

NOW, I am being sued by Sonic Automotive instead of them going after the person that caused the accident. When I went to Sonic to explain, they just treated me like I was the bad guy and said things like "you’re the guy that damaged our car". Get it right Sonic and Mini of Monrovia! I was your loyal customer that purchased two bad cars from you, and would have purchased more later. Calling names and suing me is bad practice. I am the innocent driver and your customer crushed by a horrible driver and two nasty companies. This is the worse possible customer service you can imagine, I regret getting a Mini, I didn't realize I was going to suffer from mechanical failure to horrible companies that rather sue you and make matters worse. Thanks.

Original review: June 21, 2018

I love my 2012 Mini Cooper, looks sharp and handles great, fun to drive, great get up and go, shifts good, like that you can easily customize the look of your vehicle. I like its color red, the 10 year US anniversary version, bonnet stripes, interior features including heated seats and cruise control, great cd player and sound, love the interior lighting. But it could be easier to get grandkids into the backseat. And as with any vehicle, it could have better gas mileage or electric, now that they have a 4 door coupe I would have selected it to better get kiddos in backseat.

Original review: June 19, 2018

I am writing because I am shocked at the terrible reviews I just read. I have owned my 2005 Mini Cooper Convertible since November 2005 and have never had a single problem. Of course some of that may be due to the amount of miles I have on it (about 38,000). We drive it from N.C. to Fl and return once yearly. Although there are only a few miles, the main thought I have is, why haven't I had any problems in the 12 years I have owned it? Anyway just want to share my good news after reading the previous ones.

Original review: June 17, 2018

I love the car and I have always wanted one. It's small and compact but plenty of room. It's excellent on gas too. You can go two weeks on a tank of gas. But I don't like that it's a 2 door. When trying to put something in the back seat it's hard to do. I've had the car 2 years and the thermostat sensor has went out on me 2 times. I recently had to replace the thermostat and you have to replace the whole housing unit. Overall the car is fancy looking and if I was to buy another car it would probably be the same model with a little more options to it.

Original review: June 15, 2018

Can't give them "0" stars, so they get a lucky star...just one. Super friendly sales and service people for sure, MINI, good job, you've trained them well. The complimentary Starbucks coffee and Chex Party Mix are also a nice touch, but NONE OF THESE CAN SUBSTITUTE FOR ENGINEERING AND DELIVERING A QUALITY AUTOMOBILE TO YOUR CUSTOMERS! I'd rather buy a car from a jerk that was a quality product, designed for performance, reliability, and longevity. The automatic transmission on my 2007 Mini Cooper failed at 108,000 miles. A regularly serviced automatic transmission such as the one in the 2007 Mini Cooper, by comparable industry standards, should be good for at least 150,000 miles.

This was not an inexpensive car (over 30K new, with over $15,000 in labor and parts in the meantime). The transmission was serviced when the car was still under warranty, and well after the BMW corporation was aware of the design flaws that ultimately led to the transmission failure. Rather than service the defective transmission while the warranty was in effect, they sent me home with a car that they knew had a poorly designed/engineered transmission from the factory. Although the transmission was serviced 18 months prior to this failure, and I believed the work carried a 2-year warranty, MINI's position is that the work performed was not mechanical, but electronic in nature, and was not covered under the 2-year warranty. The MINI was fun while it lasted, and as a professional that works with young adults as a career, I always felt comfortable recommending the MINI as a first car.

My position on the MINI (not Bill Jacobs, you've been consummately professional) has shifted, and I will ultimately share my story of dissatisfaction and disappointment with the BMW corporation. Of notable irony is the fact that I originally purchased a MINI because of their resale value. $45,000 later and I have a MINI that is worth $150. The final tow to and from Bill Jacobs MINI will cost more than that. I believe that any of the owners of Bill Jacobs MINI or its representatives would feel exactly as I do in regards to this situation. To MINI and BMW...you missed the most important thing that car buyers want, that is, a quality product. Everything else has been tasty, perfectly-brewed, and pleasant.

Original review: June 13, 2018

My 2017 Mini Cooper Coupe is amazing, she is so fast & compact, I can fit her in any parking space! I like the British racing green color & white accents, sunroof, futuristic look, and dealer personnel.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I have had an excellent overall experience with my 2003 Mini Cooper. It wasn't until 2013 that I had to have any work done on it besides the normal maintenance. At the time I purchased my Mini, they were fairly new on the market, and it was the unique look that love it. It has run-flat tires and a Harman Kardon stereo/CD that I like a lot. However, the cup holders in the 2003 are useless, they only give you clearance for a small cup of coffee. There is no way to fit my travel mug or my Venti cold cup. I bought something that latches around part of the console and is secured with a bolt through both of its ends. The problem is that I had to tape up the bolt because I kept scratching my leg on the bolt. Still love driving my Mini!

Original review: May 18, 2018

Ferman Mini in Clearwater Florida has had to redo most repairs they have done. So unreliable and they asked ME not to come back... HA! ALSO my 2005 lift back was elevated one day and randomly came down and cracked me in the head. Terrible that the engineers never thought to put a safety catch on the elevated door but instead they all say I should expect it from an end left vehicle. Now tell me that is a dependable manufacturer/dealer when your customer got cracked in the skull by your inappropriate design. Shame on them for trying to humiliate me telling me to never come back. What losers.

Original review: May 15, 2018

PURCHASED A USED 2010 MINI COOPER 2 DOOR COUPE. Mini dealer showed me that Carfax was clean and the car only had one owner. PUT 10000 MILES ON IT the 15 months I OWNED IT AND NOW MY TIMING CHAIN BROKE! $3000 to repair PLUS two tows. Car stopped suddenly on the freeway, glad no one hit me. My family has owned lots of BMW's, NEVER ever has a timing chain/belt snapped!! I thought these cars were reliable. Wrong.

Original review: May 9, 2018

Very enjoyable to drive - it is an adult go-cart. We particularly enjoy the convertible here in Florida. It is nice to have the wind blowing through your hair.

Original review: May 4, 2018

I like the Mini Cooper a lot. It stood up to a wreck but it's pretty worn down now and it's very expensive to fix. The drain for the oil pan somehow has become stripped and it's a custom ordered part. So it's not an easy fix. No money is tight and I haven't been able to fix it. So I'm worried for it.

Original review: April 29, 2018

Minis are great as long as they are under warranty. I was having mechanical problems within the first 3 month. The car was repeatedly at the dealership for various problems. That was all ok for the first 4 years. Just don’t keep it past the 4th year cause Mini won’t recall any of the many known problems and it’ll gets costly. The repairs don’t end.

Mini Cooper Company Information