3.46/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Ford Escape

The Ford Escape is a crossover SUV with fold-down seats and plenty of cargo storage space. Read more Ford reviews to learn about other models.

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Ford Escape Reviews

Original review: Nov. 18, 2019

Purchased in May 2018. In February 2010 engine light came on and I was told a sparkplug was loose and broke off in the engine. Two months later the light came on again and I was told there was a coolant leak and the engine block had to be replaced. Last week the warning light came on 4 times in 1.5 hours telling me to change the oil. Monday, this week, I turned it on and I heard a loud banging noise. The car has been in the shop for 3 months and who knows how long this time.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

At 51,000 Coolant in engine problem, 3 months at dealers and still waiting. Not dealer's fault. They been good. Just backed up repairing them! Ten ahead of me. Looks like a major problem for Ford and they are keeping it hushed up!! Someone needs to step up. Is the new engine going to hold up or make it to 60,000 miles then Ford is off the hook?

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

We bought a 2017 Ford Escape Eco Boost new from our local dealership. Only 4,100 miles on the car and after repeated visits to service they call and say you need a new engine. I seen what looked like coolant under car. The service manager said the auto was sucking coolant. Ford designed this flawed engine and we need a class action suit against them. Time, money and our safety is at stake with this vehicle!! Ford, I hope you're listening.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

My wife purchased a used Ford Escape in July 19 with about 30,000 miles on it. About a month later, she noticed a noise when she started the car. She took it in and was told she had a cracked block and needed a new engine. Fast-forward to the new engine installed and a few weeks later her engine light comes on. I run the Code reader and P0012 appears. We were on our way out of state that day and called the Service Dept. at the dealer and they indicated there would be no issue driving with the light on, as long as it wasn't continuously blinking.

So, off we go and I'm driving on I-95 in NC, the engine lights come on and car shakes and I pull off the road. Smoke pouring from the hood. Later check the oil and nothing registers. Towed to dealer in NC and after a look they indicate there is a hole in the block. 2 engines; cracked or with a hole? Mechanic said something about it needing a long block? I've seen some posts on here about blown engines on this specific vehicle. Any additional information? Wife not happy. Is this a Ford/engine lemon issue?

Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

I bought a 2018 Ford Escape six months ago. I had had a 2005 Escape that wouldn't die. It was exceptionally reliable. That little SUV got this single mom to work everyday for years, then used as my kids' college mobile precisely because of its dependability. When I finally traded it for another Ford product, I actually missed it! My sister had recently bought a Ford Escape which I scooted around a couple of times and which made me want another. So I bought a lovely 2018. So happy.

Last week I took it to the dealership for its first oil change. On the way home I noticed that someone's car was blowing white smoke. No way could it be mine because my car was only 6 months on the road AND no warning lights were illuminating. I was wrong! Long story short. The car is at the dealership repair shop with a blown motor! The car has 5,000 miles on it! Something is very wrong. So, just like someone else mentioned, I am making payments on a car that is in the shop with no real timeline on when I'm getting it back. I'm not even sure I want it back! The dealership is being helpful and ironic. They have given me a replacement Escape to use. I keep looking in the rear view mirror for white smoke!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ford Escape?

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

Bought this with 16000 miles on it - all maintenance performed - at 62,000 miles check engine came on - they say misfire cyl 1 - replaced all cylinders - less than 1,000 miles later - again check engine - misfire cyl 1 - mechanic check nothing wrong, reset light - 1,000 miles later - overheat - again cyl 1 bad - car keeps overheating - now they say water in motor - and needs not a new head gasket but a new motor - Ford is not standing behind these motors - this engine was never run hot and without water - this is an engine problem, not a consumer problem.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

I bought a 2019 Ford Escape 6 months ago. The check engine light came on and the dealership said the codes were Misfires cylinder 1 and 2. They said coolant was leaking in the engine and I needed a new head gasket. I'm so upset that I bought a brand new car and now this. If I want to trade it in I will never get what I should be able to get for the trade. Now I feel stuck with a unreliable brand new car and this just seems so unfair. Why do I have to be stuck with this now?

Original review: Sept. 14, 2019

I bought a brand new 2017 Ford Escape SE. There are less than 42,000 kms on it and it has had all required maintenance done by Ford. In June 2019 I brought it to Ford due to it overheating. They found nothing wrong. I wasn’t satisfied, so they put it on a machine and still found nothing wrong. I had it checked a third time! A manager actually told me that it was fine, and when asked if I’d break down, he said no. Guess what? I broke down. The engine blew! It took a month to get the engine replaced but I have since learned there are several issues such as this with the Escapes! I feel vulnerable driving it. It is unsafe, unreliable and Ford needs to step up and take care of customers. They are selling inferior vehicles at a very high price. They need to stand behind their product by doing right by consumers. I am pursuing this issue with Ford and if I’m not satisfied, I will pursue legal action. Anyone want to join me?

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

I bought my Escape last year brand new, less than 30 miles on it. The check engine light came on and I took it to a repair shop. They said there was a blown gasket and leaking coolant and to take it to the dealership since it’s under warranty and less than 2 yrs old. It’s been in the shop for 39 days and I’ve been told that cylinder #2 had a blown gasket that is leaking coolant and will need a new engine?!? This is obviously a Ford issue since it seems to be a problem with quite a few but no recall. The dealership is claiming they aren’t able to get the parts from Ford and my Escape will continue to sit there until someone figures out what to do. This is my 2nd Escape and I love the vehicle but Ford has let me down big time. I’m continuing to make payments on a vehicle that I have no idea when I will get it back or when it will be fixed. Major fail on Ford's part!!!!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

I bought a Ford Escape 2015 brand new from the dealer and in a year my radio stop working, they have upgraded software and all good but again after 3 years it was stop working. Now they said it's not under warranty so have to pay $1,100 to fix it. Even within year it has issue. After a year nuts for the wheels were damage and I have been told it's not part of warranted so end up paying $200 plus. Steeling were peeling but it was within 2 years from the time of purchase so it was fixed and cover. I strongly feel they need to make better vehicle and improve customer services. My friend bought a Toyota Rave 4 and paid $3,000 more at the same date I bought. No issue. Better spend your money wisely as vehicle is few hundred dollar involvements.

Ford Escape Company Information