Ford Escape

Compare Car Models

Research top Car Models recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have read several reviews on SUV, Jeep Cherokee, Kia Sorento and Ford Escape all of them 1 star rating. We purchase a 2008 Ford Escape in 2010. Currently we have 135K miles on the vehicle. I cannot believe all the negative reviews, we have had 0 problems with this car. It's ran great and started every time. At this time we are looking to purchase another SUV due to the mileage and age of our Escape, not sure if I want to continue with the Escape. After reading all the reviews, it seems like all of them have problems. Any suggestion between the three models. Although we like the escape the other SUV offer a 6 cyl where the new escapes do carry the 6 cyl engine, which is a big factor for us and that's why we are looking at other brands.

After recently purchasing an extended warranty for my 2014 Ford Escape, my vehicle when giving it gas at an intersection wouldn't move! It cut off and everyone began honking! I then coasted my car home. Paid $85 to tow it to G.P. Ford. Three days no replies to my calls. So I borrowed a car, went to dealership only to not get answers. I called the warranty ins and they had no coverage on my vehicle. I demanded an answer as to why and they waited 45 minutes, came back and said I'm covered. 3 days later tell me it's the engine $5400 and pre-existing so warranty won't pay. Still have no idea as to who made the decision. Remember I am not covered according to warranty office. Still no answer and I'm going into 3rd week with no car. Did my research only to find that others with same vehicle have the same problem. I demand Ford to have a recall before someone dies in an accident.

At 25,000 miles we noticed bubbling along the interior seal at the base of the driver and passenger doors. We have owned the car less than a year, purchased at 15,000 miles from CarMax. Took it to a local repair place, would not touch it. Got busy, waited until car had 40k miles on it, took it to Ford, which declined stating no holes and too many miles for the 3 year, 36k miles warranty. Anybody else out there disgusted?

I have 2 2012 Ford Escape that are rusting out in rear tire wells and rear deck hatch. Brought it up to Ford's attention, they said nothing they could do about it until they rust through. They are both still in warranty. They said I had to wait till they rusted completely through which will be after the warranty expires. There are a lot of other complaints out there. I bet if people took time to look we could get a recall going. I have always been a loyal Ford customer. I was in the market for another car. I will be looking at another make. I am done with Ford. If you look in consumer guide they do not have a good rating. Quality control people should be fired along with management selling inferior product.

Bought a Ford Escape from CarMax 7 months ago, didn't notice backseat had some damage. Took three times to get it fixed, next tailgate wouldn't open or close. Took a week at CarMax to fix. Next car just stopped at busy intersection, had to towed to Ford dealer (car has @ 23,00 miles on it). Last night it stopped at the stop sign and wouldn't restart, had it towed back to Ford dealer. Miss my Camry. CarMax was no help, rental car they gave me the 2nd time had no spare and of course I got a flat in the rain and had to wait for the 1st tow truck. I'm on the 3rd tow truck with this car.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ford?

My 2009 Ford Escape was being driven by my wife when the power/electric steering went out. I called the local Ford dealership which told me there was a recall for the issue and to bring it in. After bringing it to them, I received a call later telling me that my car was not included because it came from a different manufacturing location. Later, I was told that there was, in fact, a recall for my vehicle, but the window was closed on the recall. I was told it would cost me approximately $700 for the repair, including the $100 "diagnostic" fee.

I purchased a used 2013 Ford Escape SEL with EcoBoost with 57K miles. Within 24 hours the axle broke. The dealership repaired it but I still was scared driving it. I got over it but within 2 months, it now stops running while driving it. It happened twice yesterday. I took it to be repaired and they can't find an error code and tried driving it and it appears fine. I was told to continue driving it and if it happens again to bring it back. $109 for nothing? No thank you. I told them there is a recall for the wiring harness and they told me mine is not under the warranty and that the harness is fine. I complained to Ford and was told to just take it in to be repaired. I'll never purchase another Ford. This car is crap and my previous Honda had no issues in the SEVENTEEN YEARS I drove it.

In August I was involved in a wreck and had to obtain a rental vehicle. I was provided with a Ford Escape. Unfortunately, every time I put the brake on the car would stop, and then when I let off the brake it would start again. This resulted in gas fumes coming back into the car making me nauseated, giving me a headache, and making me very sleepy. At first I thought, "Okay, they're trying to save gas," but I think it takes more to start a car than it does to keep it idling at a light.

Since it was affecting my health and I was concerned about passing out behind the wheel, I returned it to the rental agency. Naturally, being a woman, they laughed at me behind my back and do all these other men, and there were customers and begin laughing too. They went outside to test it and because of the gas to use the road with all the windows down on the way back, and didn't turn the AC on, so there were no gas fumes in the car at that time. Both the manager of the rental place and his sales associate said it was normal for a Ford Escape to do that. I'm here to tell you it's not normal. Headaches, nausea, sleepiness, and above all gas fumes coming back into the cabin is not normal. That's just how stupid they were.

Great traction until it was 8 yrs old. We noticed the tranny not going into gear around 3 and 4. My husband would reset the cables to the battery to reset the computer. Worked briefly. The my wheels locked up and I went in a ditch on my side. I had no traction at all. I had the car looked at and they said the transmission was doing violent things. 2 weeks later it blew. Got rid of it. Really ticked me off. $23,000 later. Now only buy Chevys.

We've only had our Escape for 9 months. It has less than 7000 miles on it and while I was driving on the highway in the fast lane about 70 miles per hour it read complete engine failure and shut down on me. I had to coast to the side. Luckily for my family I didn't panic because this could have killed my kids and me. Talking to other people this has happened with other Escapes and Explorers on the 2016 models. They are death traps until Ford can figure out why it is happening and fix the problem. I highly suggest not purchasing one. It's only a matter of time before someone is killed.

My 2012 Ford Escape, at only FOUR YEARS, has substantial rust! The rust is on both sides, above the wheels, and spreading fast! I will NEVER purchase another Ford. EVER!! I hear many Escapes have a serious rust problem... Ford should be held accountable!

Although the vehicle had an 8 year, 100,000 mile warranty I did not believe that Ford would put a product out there that was doomed for failure. I was able to get a 2008 Hybrid which I thought would save some gas. It was rated for mid 30's in mpg. The car had 55,000 miles on it when battery started getting weak as in mileage is now 25mpg. The 8 year warranty ran out in february. Other Hybrids are experiencing much longer battery life. 10 years and/or 250,000 miles on some. Tesla even replaced batteries on their early models just because technology changed. Ford needs to wake up. I would warn everyone. DO NOT BUY A FORD HYBRID of any model. They are putting out an inferior product and will not stand behind it.

My 2009 Ford Escape that I bought new has an axle failure for the second time. The axle causes the transmission to leak and transmission to slip and burn up prematurely. The Escape has just over 80k miles now. The first time the axle was replaced I was told it was to fix a known problem. This second time Pundmann Ford claimed it was a redesigned axle half shaft which cost over $300 to repair. I've driven the car about 5000 miles since and now my ball joints on the left front are starting to go out and rattle. I refuse to take the car back to Pundmann Ford because I feel they caused the problem with the ball joint. I will replace them myself. I see no other recourse because I do not trust Pundmann Ford to come back with an honest answer as to why the left front ball joint failed when the ball joints have to be disconnected to repair the axle half shaft. I know they will claim it was a failure due to age and or mileage.

I have 2000 Toyota Tundra 4x4 with 326000 miles with the original drivetrain without any problems. I also have a Lexus RX300 that has no problems with 220000+ miles. I will not invest in another Ford product due to the lack of quality and poor dealership service. The axle half shaft and transmission seals and parts should have been replaced at Ford Motor Company expense since it is a commonly known problem they know about and it is the second time it failed.

Own 2012 Ford Escape - noticed rust developing in rear wheel area - took back to dealer before 36,000 mile warranty - told since it wasn't rusted through, nothing they could do under the warranty. Now have 48,000 and have developed rust on tailgate also. We personally had it repaired at over $1000+ cost to us. This needs to be taken care of. A vehicle shouldn't develop rust in 4 years!

Ford Escape 2013 and turbo boost engine. Ford maintenance manual says to change transmission fluid at 150,000 miles. I was planning on changing it at 100,000 miles. Didn't make it that long! With no warning whatsoever, tranny crapped out in one day. No noises, no nothing, just stopped excelling and gears stopped working unless you really forced the car. Car was driven to and from work, all highway miles, no hills, no off road driving. We traded the car in at a Ford dealer, they robbed us on the trade-in value, and deducted another $3500 to fix the tranny for their re-sale. Totally disgusted and disappointed with Ford products. I will NEVER buy another Ford! I went back to Dodge, much better product and they stand behind their cars, if you do have an issue. Dodge reimbursed us for an entire set of tires on our Dodge Magnum, which we've owned since new, 10 years and over 200,000 miles! Beware all Ford Escape owners!

Currently bought 2010 Ford Escape. Ran good when first got from dealership. Only owned it about 7 months. Then now it didn't want to start. Had battery alternator starter all tested. They said there's nothing wrong with it. If there's nothing wrong with it then why did it leave me stranded on the highway. Now it won't start at all. It does nothing. Can't even unlock it with remote. It sits in the backyard because they say there's nothing wrong with it. There's definitely something wrong electrical, something. And I still have to pay on a piece of junk I can't drive. It's a yard ornament. Will never buy another Ford. And Ford should do some recalls on this problem since they know these vehicles are having problems. It's not fair to the customers.

I have a 2008 Ford Escape that has less than 95k miles on it. As soon as the factory warranty ran out it began not cranking after I had already driven it on warm days (over 80 degrees). I have taken it to 3 different Ford dealerships and spent over $4,000 chasing this problem (ignition switch, new battery, alternator, keys, computer, etc). I have emailed Ford about it and got a snarky reply telling me I need to change dealerships and try somewhere else to fix the problem. I did not get an answer to if this is a reoccurring problem for the 2008 Ford Escape or not. I have been stranded multiple times running errands, now I have to keep my car running when I go to the grocery store, that way I know it'll work when I come back. This is completely unacceptable, I am at my wits end with this problem. I want to get rid of my car, but don't want to pawn this off on someone else.

2014 Ford Escape EX - While driving with cruise control on, two hours into a 2.5 hour trip, my car started jerking and engine revving, with slowly dying power to gas pedal. I first turned off cruise control and when it continued, pulled over on highway shoulder, and turned off engine. I turned it back on and pulled back onto the highway, and it started again. Made split second decision to exit off highway as I passed an exit and am glad I did. The vehicle essentially stopped moving as I got to the end of the off ramp. I was lucky that it "rolled" to the side - barely - with a truck right behind me who was observant and went around me. It seemed like a transmission/power train issue to me.

Found a handy Ford Emergency Roadside Assistance card in my glove box and was relieved to see I was within the time frame as it is offered for the first 5 years/60k miles. My car has 52k. They sent a tow truck who towed it to the nearest Ford dealership which was 8 miles away in Norwich, CT. I called ahead (4:30 pm on a Fri), but they can't look at it until Mon. Now I have to borrow my sister's vehicle to get back home and she will bring mine back to swap cars once mine is fixed - and I'm hoping that will be within the week! Assuming it's the transmission, the repair should be covered under warranty. But overall I'm not feeling good about it - having made the move to buy Ford after years with Toyota. Hoping for a good outcome but reading about other similar issues, not to mention the rust problems, it may be best to trade in earlier than later.

Has anyone had problems with their 2016 Ford Escapes? I am leasing a Titanium right now and have not had it a year yet and am having transmission issues with this vehicle. I leased a 2013 SE Ford Escape and was happy with it and had no transmission issues. The 2013 Escape was not a Titanium and was an all wheel drive vehicle with a towing package. The 2016 Titanium model I drive now is a front wheel drive vehicle with no towing but has navigation and Sirius Radio.

Over the past 4 months, I have noticed jerking when I drive and when my husband drives (2 different drivers). It started first when putting it in reverse but now it is doing it in drive as well. I believe it is a computer chip but I just called Taylor Ford and the service guy said he is booked on transmissions until next Monday. That is the soonest I can bring it in to the dealership I leased it at. I told the guy that I really don't believe it will last that long and I have no other car I can use until this is resolved. I would contact another dealer as it is still under warranty but another dealer isn't going to want to do warranty work on a car they did not lease to.

I had no issues with my trans on my 2013 so it is not my driving and as stated earlier, my husband has had the same problem with this vehicle as well. Ford has a real problem on its hands and I have been talking to other titanium owners and some of them are having the same issues as well. Until Ford gets their ** together on these transmissions, I would stay clear of their Titanium Escapes! Buyer beware. Wish me luck on my car as one week is a long way away.

Also, my friend bought a Focus Titanium and she is having the same issues as well. The dealership she took it to told her it was the electronic clutch and it was the way she was driving. Really?? The dealership she took it to was not the dealership she bought it at so again, buyer beware of these Titanium Fords and even though you are supposed to be able to take your vehicle to any dealership, my friend did not get her issue resolved at a closer dealership. I will let you know what the issue is and how long it took for the repair when this gets resolved. Again, I am hoping it is a chip issue. I don't think so as for me to have to wait to get this looked at when it is acting up so badly is not very comforting. The car otherwise is pretty cool. The car is great otherwise.

2013 Escape ecoboost 2nd transmission failure at 54881 miles. In the shop now and they have so many transmission problems at the dealership that they won't get it done for about a week and a half (dealer estimate). We had a transmission failure just before the end of the original warranty, which caused me to lose confidence in the vehicle design. We decided to get the extended warranty as opposed to dumping the car. It seems that the 2 liter ecoboost engine puts out too much power for the drive train. I love the power, I love the handling, I love the car in every way except that the power train cannot seem to handle all the lovely power.

I bought a 2007 Ford Escape Hybrid. After only owning it for less than 2 years my rear wheel well has completely rusted out. The manufactured spray coating used to "protect" the vehicle only hid the rust issue and allowed it to grow exponentially worse until the whole wheel well fell out. After multiple inspections and countless times working on the car no one had any idea. After doing some research I found this was a problem with hundreds of other Ford Customers. Before I enjoyed owning a Ford so much my fiance bought a brand new 2015 Ford Edge. Now I have a sour taste in my mouth and feel Ford should issue a recall for this issue. I have reached out multiple times and am still waiting for a response. I hope I can solve this issue ASAP. If anyone has gone through this already I would love to hear from you.

2013 Escape needs new transmission with under 80,000 miles on it. Two mechanics I talked to were surprised that I have only 79,000 miles on my Escape and it needs a new transmission. Ford quoted me $5,610 for a new transmission and I thought they were kidding me. I have called the corporate office and they all say the warranty for the transmission is 60,000 miles. I have never heard of a car needing a new transmission under 100,000 miles. And my driving is mostly interstate driving. I referred two friends that bought Escapes and they are worried now. I will NEVER buy another Ford product as long as I live! Buyers beware! Go get a Toyota or a Subaru!

I bought a left over loaded $37K list Escape 2015 for $31K, with zero down and zero percent financing for six years. Great deal. Great car. All glass roof, awesome 9 speaker stereo with Sirius and HD radio, leather seats, lumbar adjustment, gas mileage in the mid 20's. Generous seating and tons of storage space in rear. Nice rubber surrounds on exterior to prevent dings. How the hell can you go wrong with this car for this kind of money, and I've owned a few Mercedes and BMW's over the decades. Love the yellow light that comes in your side mirrors when some car is in your blind spot, but I wish that yellow light was larger.

Only complaint is the Michelin tires are pretty worn at 36,000 highway miles. But then again, they are made in France and not America, so why would I be surprised by poor quality. I'll be replacing the tires soon and you can be damned sure I'll be buying American made tires with 60,000 mile life. Oh yeah it's Eco boost which I think is turbo with the bigger 2.4 liter engine which has plenty of torque.

In 2011 I thought I bought my dream car. It was a brand new Ford Escape. After working hard for years, it was the very first new car I purchased for myself! I was very excited. Fast forward 4.5 years...After taking excellent care of this car it began to rust in BOTH rear wheel wells. I called the dealership as I was within my rust warranty still. They had heard this complaint MANY times and knew exactly where the rust was going to be. They also said Ford wouldn't cover it under their warranty. I was stunned (I still am), I mean I sill owe money on this car!

I also learned that Ford has no chain of customer service reps. There was no one else I could talk to. I contacted everyone, including the president, Vice President etc and received nothing but a generic--we still won't cover you--reply back. Not even a sorry or any sign anything but a computer typed out the reply. I think their lack of customer service is worse than their product. At least I will have evidence as I strongly urge people to buy ANYTHING but Ford products. I will continue to make their faulty product and lack of concern for the customer known. It is utterly unacceptable.

2014 Ford Escape Titanium - 1st problem was the instrument cluster. I lost all electronic displays, speedometer while driving home one evening. Ford Dealer had to reprogram it. The vehicle was down for 3 days. Last week my wife did a remote start. She placed her bag on passenger seat and closed the door. All four doors locked! Door lock buttons would not work. Had to break the hatch window to get in and shut the car off. Cost $500 to replace the glass (insurance deductible). Ford Customer Service said "Too bad, we aren't going to help you!" This will be the last Ford I will ever own!

2016 Ford Escape - Torture chamber that kills my back. Can only take 1 hr. in the car. After 2 hrs can't walk without pain for a day. Every hr. over 2 hrs. of driving add a day of pain. New company vehicle that is now just gathering dust. Driving personal rig now for company business. Yes I have tried adjusting the stupid lumbar etc. and my boss said his legs have shooting pain after 20 min. in his Escape.

My 2012 Ford Escape has severe rusting on the driver side rear wheel well. I Noticed it a few months ago and it is getting worse by the day. Car only has 46,000 miles and is kept in the garage all year. Called the dealer about it and before I could say what the problem was He told Me what I was calling about. He said he has had many complaints about the very same issue and I sent him pictures so I could have the complaint on file even though he said he doubts Ford will do anything about it. I still owe $10,000 on the car that I worked so hard to purchase myself. I am so upset. I was told I could trade it in or repair it myself which would cost thousands. Very dissatisfied with Ford and will never buy another Ford again.

My car is leased and has overheated with 2 young children in the car with me 5 times. The problem is still not fixed. They want me to overheat again so they can maybe tell where problem is this time and I drive 3 hours on a highway a day. They reviewed my case and told me I do not qualify for Ford to buy the car from my leasing company. I am making monthly payments on a car that has spent a total of months in their repair shops and is still not fixed.

My God, I guess I consider myself lucky. In 2012 I bought a 2001 Escape with 90,000 miles on it for $8000. After hearing all these stories about the new cars, I count my lucky stars. I do have a brother as a mechanic (certified in everything) and he does my repairs but just last year he replaced my spark plugs which were the original ones. I am putting nothing but motorcraft parts on my vehicle and it is just fine. So what if it has a cassette player still. LOL. But the old Ford's #BuiltTough. This is the only major part besides rotors etc. I had to replace and I wonder what caused these stress cracks? It causes oil to leak into my cylinders.

I purchased a new Ford Escape with about 6 miles on it. When the vehicle got to little over 10,000 miles on it the brakes started squealing when you backing up. It wasn't a little squeak. So I took that into the dealer and they deglazed the brake pads and said it should be fine now. It wasn't... so I took it back. They then said something had moved and was rubbing on the rotor that was fixed and now everything would be fine now. It wasn't... so I took it back. They then proceeded to grind down the rotors (without talking to me first). They stated that the Ford warranty had gaps in it and that was the only thing they could do to fix it that would be covered even though the vehicle still only had about 14,000 miles on it. I just got it back after it's FIFTH trip to the service department.

They didn't do anything to it because they said that they sent a request to the Ford Hotline to ask if they could replace the brake pads and cover them on the warranty (even though they still say there is no wear on the pads). The response from Ford was, "THAT'S NORMAL." Since my co-worker cover their ears if they are walking past my Escape when I am leaving the parking lot, I'd say that's not normal and they of course agree. Everyone knows that is not normal. We don't walk through parking lots covering our ears. How embarrassing!! If Ford Motor Company considers that normal - then they are selling an INFERIOR product. Would anyone like to buy an Escape that makes a squealing noise if I throw in ear plugs? I won't be purchasing any Fords in the future and will be looking into the Lemon Law.

Ford Escape General Problems Company Profile