Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes
3.27/5

Ford Escape

The Ford Escape is a crossover SUV with fold-down seats and plenty of cargo storage space. Read more Ford reviews to learn about other models.

Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

415 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 16, 2019

Didn't even have for a year and the transmission went. It's a 2015 with less than 100,000 miles. No recalls on this. Left boyfriend stranded with no warning lights beforehand to show that there could be anything wrong with the vehicle. I have found everywhere online with complaints on their transmissions and Ford seems to think it's an okay thing for a vehicle with less than 100,000 miles to have transmission go out and make people pay for their crap parts???

Use to think Ford made something with quality but can't trust them anymore. Got this vehicle because it was newer with lower miles and THOUGHT it would be dependable as we needed something for my boyfriend to get to work. Feels like a huge slap in the face by Ford. At least they got their money. Caused us a job because we've barely made dent in the payment and are now stuck with an oversized paperweight with no money to pay for another vehicle or fix this issue on our own. I would not recommend.

Original review: April 5, 2019

This car has had 14-15 recalls with multiple recalls needed to be performed twice. This car has stranded me out of town before as the shifter locks and I cannot get out of park or out of drive due I the cable shifter snapping. My latest issue is the engine overheating in which I never had a warning light. This caused damage to cylinder 3. Long story short AutoNation Ford in Scottsdale AZ said they can’t help and were not helpful and made me pick up my car NOW FIXED and still smoking with white smoke. They told me I can drive my car. Called FORD HEADQUARTERS and only was able to get to one manager and she said she can’t get anyone higher than her. They will not help. This is ridiculous and I can’t believe the mistreatment from Ford. They said they cannot help at all. DO NOT GET THIS CAR!!!!

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 31, 2019

Ford won't do anything about the rusting of the wheel wells and back lift gate of my 2012 Escape. Started a year and 1/2 ago. Contacted dealership, they inspected and said it was a bad design issue since the 2010 model. Contacted Ford Customer Service Support and was told nothing could be done then after I complained some more they said they would pay 1/2 of the cost to replace the side panels which would have cost me thousands of dollars. They ended up offering me a discount code for a new or leased Ford. I would like to start a class action suit but don't know where to begin. Any thoughts???

Original review: March 20, 2019

Purchased a 2014 Ford Escape around 2016 with 50000 miles. This was no problem (State Farm leased it) but around 75000 the transmission went out. Ford put a used one with a year warranty. Then Friday March 15th 2019. Dropped it off for oil leak and coolant leak, found out today the issue was a Cracked block or warped head, all this due to engine overheating. Here is the thing according to temperature gauge the engine has never overheated, I asked Ford to test the gauge but who knows if they tell me the truth. NO MORE FORDS for me.

Original review: March 15, 2019

My 2018 Escape is 9 months old and only 5000 miles on it. I had just had the car in for its first oil change and checkup. The diagnostic report was good. I left the dealer and within 2 hours the car started misfiring and losing acceleration. White smoke came out the exhaust. I immediately pulled over and called the dealer. I was told to have it towed in. The next day the service manager told me he had to order a new engine. That two cylinders weren't firing because of a defect with the gasket damaging the engine. He said my car is the fifth one that he has had to replace the engine for the same problem. He also mentioned that another dealer in the same town has had seven such incidents. Ford has not mentioned anything about this problem. No recalls have been issued.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ford Escape?

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

On 2/18/19 my 2014 Ford Escape Titanium with 40,000 miles had a faulty Oil temp sensor that shut the car off with no ability to steer or control car with no warning. All gauge said was Stop Safely. If I would have been on a major highway I probably wouldn’t have survived to be writing this right now. Ford you must fix this. Someone’s going to die when the car shuts off and loses all driving abilities with no warning. I have loved this car until now. I was thinking of buying an edge but I highly question the safety standards. Cost me $259 to fix but it could have cost me and or my family our lives.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

I bought a brand new Escape last year and it's the worst mistake I've ever made. Within 2 months parts were falling off of it and it's been in the shop 6 times in the first year. It also is absolutely worthless in the snow for a 4WD, it has gotten stuck in my driveway with as little as 2 inches of snow. Anyone who is looking for an SUV DO NOT buy an Escape.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

At first the automatic start malfunctioned. Computer flashed. Secondly the seat memory worked intermittently. Once again computer flashed. Works most of the time. Next the volume failed to operate correctly when listening to texts still occurring. Then when using parallel parking program vehicle sudden accelerated striking a Porsche. Dealership says computer detects no problems. Deathtrap.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

This has been a great vehicle for us. It's never stranded us. Now has 245k miles. It's now leaking transmission fluid but easily managed. also leaks some oil now but also easily managed. Never had major engine or tranny work. Went thru a series of small repairs around 125-150k miles but has had a great run since. Sunroof is a bit finicky but still works and doesn't leak. CD player hasn't worked since about 200k. Tape player...can't remember the last time I tried it. Sometimes stepping on the gas makes it sound like a diesel which I'm told is an indication of transmission issues. That started about 30-40k miles ago. Will hate to see it go when it does.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I owned at least 7 Fords over the years but the last 2 have been junk. My current issue is with my 2014 Ford Escape. Back in late 2017 the car started to overheat. I brought it to Ford who found no issues. Did not happen again for a while so I forgot about the issue. Early 2018 I got a recall notice about an issue with overheating. Went back to Ford and they made the repairs in March, 2018. Fast forward to January 2019 and the car overheats in 5 seconds. I let it cool and drove home with no issues. Next day no issues, next day it overheats as I am pulling into the Ford dealership. 2 days later I am told the engine block is cracked and I need $6,000 in repairs.

Per Ford it has nothing to do with the recall even though that is exactly what the recall is about. Don't buy Ford for any reason. Same car had rust on bottom of 1 door. Took it in while under 3 years old to be told rust is not covered until it has a hole. Brought it back just before 5 year warranty expired only to be told the multiple holes were not big enough. Had to be bigger than a pencil. Really FORD. Poor products and they don't stand behind their warranty.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I tried lane keeping “alert” combine with lane keeping “aid” on my Ford Escape and on a couple of occasions my steering wheel tried to take my SUV into the “wrong” lane. If the intersection has a center barrier, the lane keeping aid gets confused, which in my case it steered me into an “oncoming” lane! I quickly countersteered it before it caused me to hit the center barrier, much to my passengers’ concern.

Another time at a wide multi-lane intersection that has a turn in it, at about 30 degrees, the lane keeping aid was steering me out of my lane into an adjacent lane (at 30 deg), which again made me countersteer, as it was potentially dangerous since an adjacent car may not have understood why I was changing lanes mid intersection without signalling. I disconnected the “aid” auto correct function, but appreciate the vibrating steering wheel’s “alert” function. I don’t think this auto-assist feature is right for city traffic, especially at multi-lane intersections on a curve.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I'm extremely frustrated with Ford. I have a 2014 Escape that needs a new transfer case. A very costly repair that I do not have the funds for. The car is only 4.5 years old and it should not have transmission issues. I know for a fact that this is an ongoing issue with Escapes dating back to the 2002 models. Why hasn't Ford recalled these vehicles? I've written to the CEO of the company via email and postal mail, to no avail. My a/c also stopped working last summer!

The internet is full of complaints regarding this issue with the transfer case. As advised by my local dealership, I contacted Ford to request financial assistance with the repair of the transfer case. The following is their reply to my email: "Thank you for contacting the Ford Customer Relationship Center regarding your recent vehicle concern. We have thoroughly reviewed your request and after careful consideration we regret that Ford is not able to provide financial assistance to address your issue. We are sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations at this time and recommend you continue to work with your Ford dealership to provide the best service for your vehicle in the future. Thank you again for contacting Ford. The Ford Customer Relationship Center Ford Motor Company."

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

Updated 12/18/2018: Ford contacted the dealership that has helped me with this piece of crap car and didn't offer no assistance. I am floored that a company that supports veterans and active duty soldiers, doesn't help us when it's needed most. I work hard every day and not having a dependable car is very stressful and nerve wrecking. I am nervous driving it. Well right now it's in the shop again. It was just there 2 months ago. Just give me another car please. Do the right thing by your customers.

Original review: I am a military veteran who purchased a 2016 Ford Escape in May 2016, the first month of purchase the transmission went out, the car is in the shop every year since then for major issues, instead of Ford replacing the vehicle, due to it being a lemon, it keeps getting fixed and breaks down again. I pay a car note on this vehicle and the deal that I received was awful, so the upside down cost will hurt me bad. I have driven the vehicle with my daughter in the car and bolts from the transmission replacement fell out, this has been a complete nightmare.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Ford’s intelligent 4-wheel drive is complete crap. I paid thousands extra to get a new 2018 Escape with 4 wheel drive. Turns out Ford’s idea of 4 wheel drive is to always be in front wheel drive until you slip, and then the 4 wheel drive engages. I paid the thousands extra because I knew I’d be in Wyoming in the mountains driving in snow, and now I’m digging my car out of a snow bank on the side of the road for the second time in 3 days. The 4 wheel drive doesn’t engage fast enough and is a complete waste of money, and way less safe. Don’t waste your money. Wish I could return this car. Does me no good up here.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

Engine light came on on our 2015 Escape while driving home from work, I came upon an auto parts store on my way home that did a quick diagnostic. A number 3 cylinder fuel injector misfire. Went to take car to dealership but now car would not start. After have vehicle towed there they called and said all the injectors were fine but said I needed a new long block which with parts & labor was $8000.00. They had my vehicle for over a week. Finally called me & said that the vehicle was ready on a Saturday. Monday morning and 30 miles later the engine light comes on again so I bring it back to the dealer and they did another diagnostic scan and came up with the exact same code as before (#3 cylinder misfire). I’m so frustrated with Ford and don’t know what to do next. Maybe legal action is needed since we paid $8000.00 for repairs and still have the same problem.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I own a 2014 Ford Escape Titanium 2.0 Ecoboost 2wd. I bought it new in January 2014, it replaced a 2003 F150 Lariat 4x4 4 door that I dearly miss. The Escape is small... That was my first observation. My 6"1" hubby fit in just fine though. No real room to put life's necessities... not a good space to set a cell phone, the mail (door pockets are too small) or your purse if someone is in the passenger seat and only 2 front cup holders... again coming from the F150 with a center console and 4 front cup holders and a small space to set things and larger door pockets. But I loved the zippy motor and the better gas mileage. So anyway... I've had the Escape for 4 years 9 months and have 95,000+ miles on it (yes, I like to go places! Several road trips to Minnesota, Wyoming, Colorado etc)... not a single problem with it!!! Yoohoo!

Then I bring it to the dealership, Truck City Ford in Buda TX for the door latch recall and the shifter cable recall... after which the front passenger door wouldn't open while holding the electronic key fob and the window makes a clunk noise when rolled all the way down... And then I get a P1450 code on the motor (vacuum control valve for fuel system) ALL of these problems are related to the "shoddy" work (my personal opinion) done at the dealership.

They had to open the door panel and remove the window to replace the door latch, and didn't re-install it all properly. They fessed up and offered to fix that... Then my mechanically inclined husband was looking to repair the VCV that caused the code (not realizing it could be related to any work they did) and realized that they had to pull off the air cleaner (fuel system electronics are under air cleaner) and other stuff to get to the spot where the shift cable thingy is attached... The dealership caused all of the problems because of their recall fixes!

Now the car was great prior to all of this... like I said NOT A SINGLE PROBLEM! Until now... it seems my electronics are all "buggy" now. My phone wouldn't automatically sync, my front sensors work intermittently, the screen on my AC went black but came back... I'm afraid its days are numbered. I certainly do NOT recommend the dealership, particularly this one, doing any work on your vehicle.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

My Ford Escape is a demon from hell! Brakes have gone completely out 4 times. Once on the mechanic so he knew I wasn't crazy!!! Steering wheel would completely lock while driving whenever it felt like it. I almost got killed pulling onto a main road with cars coming in both directions and wheel froze!!! Had to restart car to get it to release. I've researched it and many people have had both of these things happen to them as well. Some getting seriously hurt. I'm having someone come and tow Satan back to Hell!! Never again!!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

After happily owning Japanese and Korean cars since the early 80s I felt it my patriotic duty to finally give an American car a chance, I bought a 2014 Ford Escape S with 90k from a Ford dealership in the Poconos Pa. There have been problems from the beginning. I’ve already spent 1000$ fixing transmission related issues. Tranny fluid all over my garage floor. 5 days with no transport. There still seemed to be some leaking even after repair. The Sync software system is filled with bugs and Ford stopped updating the 2014 S last time I checked the website. Outside temp gauge reads anywhere from the real temperature all the way down to minus 20... in the summer!

The audio system will suddenly blast the loudest volume at any time, without any knob turning. The A/C died as of yesterday on a cross country trip. Probably a compressor. The one positive is that I can get almost 38 mpg for highway driving (keeping it at about 55 or 60 mph) which is why I gave the car 2 stars instead of 1. Hard to say if the 2014 Ford Escape S is a lemon since it did have 90k when bought, but every single Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Hyundai I’ve owned all went into very high mileage with a minimum of issues. Very disappointed.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I have had problems with this 2017 Ford Escape and Ford Motor Company almost immediately. Going down the road late one night I heard a very loud bang. I thought I had a flat tire or hit something. It turns out that the undercarriage of the vehicle fell off. I drove home and the next morning drove directly to the dealership which was a total of 90 miles. The whole time I could hear rocks banging under the hood. I informed the dealership of this and told them they should really look the car over. I was sure the electrical system was damaged. All they did was replaced the undercarriage.

Since then... The phone randomly calls people, there is a very loud buzzing noise when you unlock the driver's door and doesn't stop until you turn the car on. The check engine light comes on when the fuel is below 1/2 tank, the passenger seat belt alert comes on randomly when there is no one in the seat. When sitting still and the engine stops and you put your foot on the gas it doesn't move then when it does it's at a high speed. It slows down when driving at a normal speed randomly, the molding in the trunk has all come up. I have put 400 miles on my lease taking it back to the dealership for repairs and things still keep happening. I've contacted Ford to beg them to buy the car back. Their answer is to just keep taking it to the dealer for repairs. Well the dealer has since sold out to someone else. This has been a nightmare. I just want out of this lease so that I can go buy something else.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

Ford Escape 2017 - This is the worst car I have ever owned! I have been at Kingsford Multiple times for the same problem. The sync navigation system keeps going black. Kingsford wants me to pay $11,000 for their product issues.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I purchased a 2015 Ford Escape a year ago. It had 26,000 miles on it. Within 3 months the vehicle had a check engine light come on and I took it into the dealership. At the time they couldn't figure out the issue, replaced a filter and sent me on my way. Within 30 days the check engine light came back on. I took the car back in and was told it needed $1,200 worth of parts (emissions canister and ventilation filter) that were not covered under warranty. I did not replace the parts at that time. I moved to Denver in January of 2018 and the car was still having problems. I took it to a different Ford Dealer in Denver who charged me $450 to replace a defective evap purge valve. Immediately after getting the car back it ran worse. Last week the car broke down on the side as I was driving down the highway with passengers in my vehicle. Thankfully I was able to get out of traffic safely.

I had it towed to Ford and was out of a vehicle for 5 days waiting for a diagnostic. They said they were unable to "recreate the issue" and suggested I replace my fuel sensor at another cost of $450, although they weren't sure that was the problem. I told the service adviser that I thought it was the emissions canister and ventilation filter since I haven't replaced those parts, but he ignored me and insisted it was the sensor. I went ahead and paid to have the sensor replaced, picked the car up last night and it is still having stalling issues. The car has less than 60k miles on it, has been in the shop 4x in the last year and I have spent over $900 in maintenance for issues that are still not fixed. Ford has been sued in a class action over these parts in the Ford Focus (Rivera v. Ford) but refuses to do anything about a recall or replacement of parts even though this is a MAJOR safety issue.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

2004 Ford Escape - Wonderful car until past year. While braking, esp at slower speed, car pulls left. Further brake pressure straightens car out. Have had brakes checked 3 times and am told absolutely nothing wrong. It’s me. When mechanic ck while driving he takes hands off wheel when braking. I don’t. States it makes no difference. Checked master cylinder, fluid, brakes, calipers, etc. Is there anyone who has had this occur or where to call next for an answer. After 14 years driving this car I ought to know when it’s not braking correctly. Otherwise I love this car. Performs very well. Has been so reliable until last year. And yes, I do all the maintenance needed. I don’t want to buy a new car.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

I have a 2013 Ford Escape. Had no problems till warranty ran out. At 37500 miles I was driving down the road and all the sudden there was there huge loud noise in the front end of the car. The slower I drove the noise wasn’t as loud. I limped it to the dealership. The brakes had let loose in the front due to rusting. At the same time I was there I showed them bubbling rust at the back hatch and the bottom of the doors. I read where it was covered up to 50,000 miles so I didn’t get it in before 36,000 mile warranty was up. I was so busy at that time. Got new brakes and rotors out on but they would not fix rust because it has to have a complete hole, nit just bubbling rust. I called Ford because I was only over warranty 1500 miles. They said no problem go back to dealership and talk to manager.

She said they have some sort of account set aside for problems like this. It would be taken care of. Well that didn’t happen. Not long after battery died. Changed battery out now no air conditioning. No one can figure out why. Radio stays on after car turns off and multiple pushes on off to turn it off. Again, they don’t know why. I could go on and on with the problems of this Ford vehicle but tired of typing. Mind you this all happened at just 2 1/2 years of paying for this car. I long have paid this car off but can’t get rid of it because of all its problems. Talk about depreciation value. I have been a lifelong Ford buyer, have not and never will purchase another Ford. I also tell ANYONE who thinks of buying one my story and buy at your own risk.

Original review: July 28, 2018

Have been driving pretty much all Fords for 45 years now, I turned over 200,000 miles on many of them with just basic maintenance that I also do myself. I was able to get this 2017 Ford Escape Titanium 2.0 Ecoboost FWD with around 25,000 miles before it could be abused too much. I never have understood those who do not do the maintenance when it is due but wait till the car tells you it's broken. Most every car out there is good but how can you tell who neglected it 5 years ago.

Anyway this SUV is like driving a sports car and will get good fuel mileage if you can learn to drive it for good mileage. Drive it hard, do not expect good MPG. I was able to get a loaded with option vehicle $10,000 off MSRP. Paid cash and very happy with another great vehicle. I like the Ford Pass available on Sync 3 that even tracks where your car is on a smartphone if you use it. Read the owners manual for all your maintenance schedules. It will last a long time if you keep up with it. Neglect it once or twice and it is now in a spiral slow death no matter who built it.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I have a 2012 Ford Escape XLT and I have had problems with the A/C ever since I bought the car brand new. I have had all of the following replaced TWICE; compressor, receiver/dryer, expansion/orifice valve, liquid line, system flushed. etc. and it doesn't not work again, same problems. These repairs have cost me in the thousands and Ford isn't willing to recall or help at all! (Never mind the rust that started a year ago, a 5 year old car should NOT be rusting this badly!) I have owned Fords over 30 years. This will definitely be the last one!

Original review: June 21, 2018

I have an 02' Ford Escape. I acquired it preowned from a local dealership... I was looking to upgrade from a car to an SUV so I would have more space for my children. It has a big trunk and roomy front seat. I like the size of it not too big not too small but still 4x4 so good for the Michigan winter. It has been a good basic vehicle but after 150000 miles parts started breaking often... he backseat is kinda small as well. Also it gets rust somewhat easily and electrical issues seem to be common. Won't purchase next time.

Original review: June 19, 2018

I would buy this very same model of Ford Escape again, if I had it to do! This car is fun to drive, economical on gas, comfortable for the kids, and yet just as stylish as it is family-friendly. It's great for long-distance trips or just running out for the weekend grocery haul. It's roomy and still just as easy to park as your standard sized car. Best of all, you get all this and your choice of a range of optional features without breaking the bank! It has just enough horsepower to swiftly avoid any sudden obstacles you may encounter and yet smoothly maneuver in traffic.

From the quality of this vehicle, I can see it lasting me for many years and for many miles to come. Plus, the four-wheel drive gives me the confidence that I can handle tough or icy conditions with much more confidence and ease. The Ford Escape is for those who like a sporty but safe option for a family car. As a techie, I love being able to talk hands-free with the Bluetooth Sync! I chose this car model over others because of its high quality craftsmanship and affordability. It has everything that I need.

Original review: June 18, 2018

Not really a big Ford fan in the first place and this vehicle doesn't help. It's got an eco boost engine which takes a couple of seconds to kick in. This is not helpful on the interstate. It does ride smooth if you're in the front seats. But the back is like riding a pogo stick. It's also too small overall. The seats aren't really comfortable -- front or back. Also, a sunroof would be nice and an alarm and leather interior. However, it does have a lot of nice high tech features. I like the backup camera and having the ability to control the volume on the radio from the steering wheel too. Having Sirius satellite radio is really awesome as well.

Original review: June 16, 2018

My experience with my Escape is enjoyable. I purchased used but have had it for 4 years now and have had no major problems. I like the electric doors and windows. I am simple and I don't really care about all the electrical gadgets but they are nice to have. It's a medium size vehicle and the hatch has plenty of room. Back seat good and roomy and gas mileage is good. However, the seats are gray and anything that spills on them just a tiny bit looks like it is a huge stain even water. It's hard to clean. But overall I don't want to change it. I would purchase another Escape.

Original review: June 15, 2018

I love my car. This is my third Ford Escape. This car is perfect size for my family of 3 plus room for more. It has a big trunk, it's roomy and comfortable, and has decent features. I love the heating and cooling system. The driver and passenger can set their own temperature settings. I love the stereo system and the car handles well. Lots of hands free options. Built in WiFi and a sunroof would make my car better than it is.

Ford Escape Company Information