Ford Escape

Compare Car Models

Research top Car Models recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have had my 2014 Escape since new and had all oil changes and checkups done at the Ford Dealership where I purchased it. Now the Rear Differential is shot and I have to get it fixed. Major cost!!! When my mechanic called to order the part... it was on back order. How many are having the same issue if it is on back order? I have always bought Ford, but my daughter in law bought a Focus at the same time I got the Escape and she had continual transmission problems. This is the LAST Ford I will buy. They are definitely not building the products they once did.

Just found out I'm having same issue with my 2006 Mercury Mariner as many other people with Mariners/Escapes. Inside the passenger side rear wheel well is all rusted out and the shock tower assembly is unstable due to rust.Three local shops would not touch it as it is a big job and safety issue including our local Ford dealership in Mishawaka. When I called Ford there is no bulletin on recall/fix. Have 105000 miles and keep my vehicles in excellent shape inside and out. Appears to me to be a undercoating or rustproofing issue. I guess enough people have to call or email Ford, (Go to Ford website) and they said if enough people complain they will look into. Looks like they addressed this issue with 2000-2004 models. I wish a class action lawsuit was started.

Rotting rear window hinge - Ford has had this problem for almost 15 years. Their inability to fix and in many cases even acknowledge it is criminal and they should have issued a safety recall. There are thousands of reviews of the same problem that they claim were not aware of and in the same breadth say it is not their problem. Well actually it is their problem because of their arrogance and inability to responsibly handle this issue I will never ever buy another Ford product. Seems that a class action lawsuit would be appropriate in this case.

As the widow of 33-year Ford employee, l have owned at least fifteen Fords. Never have I seen such a train wreck as my Escape. True, I live in a rust belt state, Michigan, but NONE of the 25/30 Fords we have purchased presented such pain. This is actually my second Escape, having purchased a 2009 first. This car in less than five years has multiple trust issues, but I was floored when the hinges holding the rear window shattered, exposing corrosion that was not visible until too late. $370 later, Ford tells me to basically suck it up. That is a pretty big surprise for someone on social security. Another one know of any class action suits in process? Sounds like that may be our only hope.

We own a 2013 Ford Escape and have had all warranty repair and service work done at Vancouver Ford in Vancouver WA. We Love Vancouver Ford, however recently after having the transmission rebuilt 50,000 miles ago, and the power train warranty being 100,000 miles, the Torque converter went out at 101,000. We asked for a good faith repair on the warranty and were told that Ford Motor called the dealer and offered assistance to us to repair the car. The local dealership said "yes", then Ford said they would get right back to them, the dealership told us and we have waited and waited, then Ford has refused to return the service manager’s phone calls and emails.

We called multiple times a week, while paying for a rental car daily, it is the end of 2 weeks going on a third now and after I cannot count the number of phone calls. I am told that someone did not upload a repair service order and therefore they are only offering 300, that doesn't even touch the rental car, left alone the 2200 before taxes repair bill, plus a 3 week rental car.

We own a 2013 Ford Escape, and talked our in-laws into a Ford Edge, and we’re in the process of debating the New Taurus or the Edge for a second car and now this. We will be rethinking about the way we have been strung along for 2-3 weeks racking up a rental car debt daily as we’re calling and the service manager is calling, and no one at Ford is returning even the service manager’s calls. I would not think twice if the vehicle had 110,000 or 120,000, but 101,000? I have to say we Love Vancouver Ford and the service department is topnotch, however someone has dropped the ball here somewhere and we’re paying for it. Very disappointed right now.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ford?

After reading the reviews on consumer affairs site we are suddenly not surprised by the issues with our 2014 Escape SE w/ EcoBoost 1.8 ltr. My wife informed me that the car was pulling to the right and was getting worse. On an afternoon drive down the highway I found that it was worse than I expected. Later, after a nice lunch I checked the air pressure and it was perfect. We took it to True Line and they diagnosed a radial pull and stated the alignment was good. They then crossed the front tires which resulted in a slight left pull. At only 18,000 miles with no hard driving this was a surprise to us. We took it to the dealership where it was purchased and after much debate they are now running their own check to determine the cause, hopefully.

The tires are badly worn and the car is handful to drive. So at best they have offered to split the cost of tires, but we are really hoping they find the cause. We also had tire hummus with the Ford Focus that we had that we traded this car in for. What the problem was never really fixed after changing tires a year later and still needed tires again and they insisted there was nothing wrong with the front end of their car.

Bought a 2013 Ford new. Engine light came on at 4,000 no. Every 6K engine light would come on and I would take it in. 18K water pump replaced. Have had half dozen recalls, 2 pertaining to leaks in engine. Paint started bubbling on front bumper at 36,400. New transmission at 38K and engine replaced at 44K. So frustrated with Ford, I have been going round and round with Ford for the last 2 year. All they say is, "We are doing our job by doing the repairs, and at least it's under warranty!" At least I purchased the extended warranty! Took it in last week with 59,100 to have 60K service and do a quick check over to make sure all is okay. Got a call the turbocharger is leaking so they have to order a new one. And they called me again next day saying the new transmission they put in last year is leaking! I am beyond livid!!! Car has 800 mi left on warranty. I have no confidence in this car whatsoever! And Ford will not own up to these problems!

2013 Ford Escape... Transmission is going out. Car has under 70K miles. Went to Ford and got estimate and got one for over $6,200.00. I still am paying for my car loan which is about the same amount. I went to 2 other transmission shops and because the car is so new they can't rebuild the trans since they won't be able to get parts. I called Ford, got case number, and their decision was that they cannot assist with lowering the cost even though they know about 2013 models that have defective transmissions. Since I bought the car used, Ford claims that I do not have ownership loyalty and cannot assist with cost of new transmission. I'm stuck and until I can save for another transmission, driving an unsafe car.

I received a recall notification 14S05 from Ford about my 2008 Ford Escape. The recall was for a faulty torque sensor that could go out causing you to lose power steering while driving resulting in an accident. The recall stated the torque sensor would either be reprogrammed or replaced. Since ours had not yet failed or produced a service code the Ford service center just reprogramed it instead of replacing it. Just recently the torque sensor failed as expected and my power steering lost power while driving through a parking lot. I did not have the strength to turn the wheel and had to just stop and leave the car in the lot until someone could come help me. I brought my car back to the same dealership that performed the original recall repair and I am being told that the recall has been performed and now I must pay them to replace the torque sensor.

After spending time researching the issue online I discovered that this is a widespread problem and it is apparent that Ford is only replacing the sensors if they have already failed when you bring your car in for the recall. If it has not failed then Ford only does a reprogramming that doesn't prevent them from failing and just adds a chime and a dash light to warn you that it's failing as it's failing. That allows Ford to close out the recall on your vehicle and save money on a replacement part that is known and expected to fail as stated in the recall letter. I don't understand how this is legal for them to do. I talked to several of Ford's service managers and customer service representatives and they all give the standard rehearsed answer.

I bought this car brand new in 2015. I like it. However my issue is with getting exhaust from other vehicles in my car. Does anyone else have this problem as the dealership is saying they've never heard of it. It was so bad the other day we had to open the windows to let it out. The car has less than 10,000 km on it. I am not driving under other cars bumper when this happens. I have had several cars some quite old and I've crossed Canada several times. I have never experienced this and it's awful.

I bought this Escape new so now it's 17 years old. I've had so many problems with it that if they had occurred within the 1st year the state of Kansas would have Ford replace it as a lemon. Currently just over 70,000 and 3 exhaust, fuel pump, 3 transmission and all the recalls. Just wish these lemons would have some long term manufacture warranty. I understand not all have so many faults but those that has should be - well what can I say.

I have read several reviews on SUV, Jeep Cherokee, Kia Sorento and Ford Escape all of them 1 star rating. We purchase a 2008 Ford Escape in 2010. Currently we have 135K miles on the vehicle. I cannot believe all the negative reviews, we have had 0 problems with this car. It's ran great and started every time. At this time we are looking to purchase another SUV due to the mileage and age of our Escape, not sure if I want to continue with the Escape. After reading all the reviews, it seems like all of them have problems. Any suggestion between the three models. Although we like the escape the other SUV offer a 6 cyl where the new escapes do carry the 6 cyl engine, which is a big factor for us and that's why we are looking at other brands.

After recently purchasing an extended warranty for my 2014 Ford Escape, my vehicle when giving it gas at an intersection wouldn't move! It cut off and everyone began honking! I then coasted my car home. Paid $85 to tow it to G.P. Ford. Three days no replies to my calls. So I borrowed a car, went to dealership only to not get answers. I called the warranty ins and they had no coverage on my vehicle. I demanded an answer as to why and they waited 45 minutes, came back and said I'm covered. 3 days later tell me it's the engine $5400 and pre-existing so warranty won't pay. Still have no idea as to who made the decision. Remember I am not covered according to warranty office. Still no answer and I'm going into 3rd week with no car. Did my research only to find that others with same vehicle have the same problem. I demand Ford to have a recall before someone dies in an accident.

At 25,000 miles we noticed bubbling along the interior seal at the base of the driver and passenger doors. We have owned the car less than a year, purchased at 15,000 miles from CarMax. Took it to a local repair place, would not touch it. Got busy, waited until car had 40k miles on it, took it to Ford, which declined stating no holes and too many miles for the 3 year, 36k miles warranty. Anybody else out there disgusted?

I have 2 2012 Ford Escape that are rusting out in rear tire wells and rear deck hatch. Brought it up to Ford's attention, they said nothing they could do about it until they rust through. They are both still in warranty. They said I had to wait till they rusted completely through which will be after the warranty expires. There are a lot of other complaints out there. I bet if people took time to look we could get a recall going. I have always been a loyal Ford customer. I was in the market for another car. I will be looking at another make. I am done with Ford. If you look in consumer guide they do not have a good rating. Quality control people should be fired along with management selling inferior product.

Bought a Ford Escape from CarMax 7 months ago, didn't notice backseat had some damage. Took three times to get it fixed, next tailgate wouldn't open or close. Took a week at CarMax to fix. Next car just stopped at busy intersection, had to towed to Ford dealer (car has @ 23,00 miles on it). Last night it stopped at the stop sign and wouldn't restart, had it towed back to Ford dealer. Miss my Camry. CarMax was no help, rental car they gave me the 2nd time had no spare and of course I got a flat in the rain and had to wait for the 1st tow truck. I'm on the 3rd tow truck with this car.

My 2009 Ford Escape was being driven by my wife when the power/electric steering went out. I called the local Ford dealership which told me there was a recall for the issue and to bring it in. After bringing it to them, I received a call later telling me that my car was not included because it came from a different manufacturing location. Later, I was told that there was, in fact, a recall for my vehicle, but the window was closed on the recall. I was told it would cost me approximately $700 for the repair, including the $100 "diagnostic" fee.

I purchased a used 2013 Ford Escape SEL with EcoBoost with 57K miles. Within 24 hours the axle broke. The dealership repaired it but I still was scared driving it. I got over it but within 2 months, it now stops running while driving it. It happened twice yesterday. I took it to be repaired and they can't find an error code and tried driving it and it appears fine. I was told to continue driving it and if it happens again to bring it back. $109 for nothing? No thank you. I told them there is a recall for the wiring harness and they told me mine is not under the warranty and that the harness is fine. I complained to Ford and was told to just take it in to be repaired. I'll never purchase another Ford. This car is crap and my previous Honda had no issues in the SEVENTEEN YEARS I drove it.

In August I was involved in a wreck and had to obtain a rental vehicle. I was provided with a Ford Escape. Unfortunately, every time I put the brake on the car would stop, and then when I let off the brake it would start again. This resulted in gas fumes coming back into the car making me nauseated, giving me a headache, and making me very sleepy. At first I thought, "Okay, they're trying to save gas," but I think it takes more to start a car than it does to keep it idling at a light.

Since it was affecting my health and I was concerned about passing out behind the wheel, I returned it to the rental agency. Naturally, being a woman, they laughed at me behind my back and do all these other men, and there were customers and begin laughing too. They went outside to test it and because of the gas to use the road with all the windows down on the way back, and didn't turn the AC on, so there were no gas fumes in the car at that time. Both the manager of the rental place and his sales associate said it was normal for a Ford Escape to do that. I'm here to tell you it's not normal. Headaches, nausea, sleepiness, and above all gas fumes coming back into the cabin is not normal. That's just how stupid they were.

Great traction until it was 8 yrs old. We noticed the tranny not going into gear around 3 and 4. My husband would reset the cables to the battery to reset the computer. Worked briefly. The my wheels locked up and I went in a ditch on my side. I had no traction at all. I had the car looked at and they said the transmission was doing violent things. 2 weeks later it blew. Got rid of it. Really ticked me off. $23,000 later. Now only buy Chevys.

We've only had our Escape for 9 months. It has less than 7000 miles on it and while I was driving on the highway in the fast lane about 70 miles per hour it read complete engine failure and shut down on me. I had to coast to the side. Luckily for my family I didn't panic because this could have killed my kids and me. Talking to other people this has happened with other Escapes and Explorers on the 2016 models. They are death traps until Ford can figure out why it is happening and fix the problem. I highly suggest not purchasing one. It's only a matter of time before someone is killed.

My 2012 Ford Escape, at only FOUR YEARS, has substantial rust! The rust is on both sides, above the wheels, and spreading fast! I will NEVER purchase another Ford. EVER!! I hear many Escapes have a serious rust problem... Ford should be held accountable!

Although the vehicle had an 8 year, 100,000 mile warranty I did not believe that Ford would put a product out there that was doomed for failure. I was able to get a 2008 Hybrid which I thought would save some gas. It was rated for mid 30's in mpg. The car had 55,000 miles on it when battery started getting weak as in mileage is now 25mpg. The 8 year warranty ran out in february. Other Hybrids are experiencing much longer battery life. 10 years and/or 250,000 miles on some. Tesla even replaced batteries on their early models just because technology changed. Ford needs to wake up. I would warn everyone. DO NOT BUY A FORD HYBRID of any model. They are putting out an inferior product and will not stand behind it.

My 2009 Ford Escape that I bought new has an axle failure for the second time. The axle causes the transmission to leak and transmission to slip and burn up prematurely. The Escape has just over 80k miles now. The first time the axle was replaced I was told it was to fix a known problem. This second time Pundmann Ford claimed it was a redesigned axle half shaft which cost over $300 to repair. I've driven the car about 5000 miles since and now my ball joints on the left front are starting to go out and rattle. I refuse to take the car back to Pundmann Ford because I feel they caused the problem with the ball joint. I will replace them myself. I see no other recourse because I do not trust Pundmann Ford to come back with an honest answer as to why the left front ball joint failed when the ball joints have to be disconnected to repair the axle half shaft. I know they will claim it was a failure due to age and or mileage.

I have 2000 Toyota Tundra 4x4 with 326000 miles with the original drivetrain without any problems. I also have a Lexus RX300 that has no problems with 220000+ miles. I will not invest in another Ford product due to the lack of quality and poor dealership service. The axle half shaft and transmission seals and parts should have been replaced at Ford Motor Company expense since it is a commonly known problem they know about and it is the second time it failed.

Own 2012 Ford Escape - noticed rust developing in rear wheel area - took back to dealer before 36,000 mile warranty - told since it wasn't rusted through, nothing they could do under the warranty. Now have 48,000 and have developed rust on tailgate also. We personally had it repaired at over $1000+ cost to us. This needs to be taken care of. A vehicle shouldn't develop rust in 4 years!

Ford Escape 2013 and turbo boost engine. Ford maintenance manual says to change transmission fluid at 150,000 miles. I was planning on changing it at 100,000 miles. Didn't make it that long! With no warning whatsoever, tranny crapped out in one day. No noises, no nothing, just stopped excelling and gears stopped working unless you really forced the car. Car was driven to and from work, all highway miles, no hills, no off road driving. We traded the car in at a Ford dealer, they robbed us on the trade-in value, and deducted another $3500 to fix the tranny for their re-sale. Totally disgusted and disappointed with Ford products. I will NEVER buy another Ford! I went back to Dodge, much better product and they stand behind their cars, if you do have an issue. Dodge reimbursed us for an entire set of tires on our Dodge Magnum, which we've owned since new, 10 years and over 200,000 miles! Beware all Ford Escape owners!

Currently bought 2010 Ford Escape. Ran good when first got from dealership. Only owned it about 7 months. Then now it didn't want to start. Had battery alternator starter all tested. They said there's nothing wrong with it. If there's nothing wrong with it then why did it leave me stranded on the highway. Now it won't start at all. It does nothing. Can't even unlock it with remote. It sits in the backyard because they say there's nothing wrong with it. There's definitely something wrong electrical, something. And I still have to pay on a piece of junk I can't drive. It's a yard ornament. Will never buy another Ford. And Ford should do some recalls on this problem since they know these vehicles are having problems. It's not fair to the customers.

I have a 2008 Ford Escape that has less than 95k miles on it. As soon as the factory warranty ran out it began not cranking after I had already driven it on warm days (over 80 degrees). I have taken it to 3 different Ford dealerships and spent over $4,000 chasing this problem (ignition switch, new battery, alternator, keys, computer, etc). I have emailed Ford about it and got a snarky reply telling me I need to change dealerships and try somewhere else to fix the problem. I did not get an answer to if this is a reoccurring problem for the 2008 Ford Escape or not. I have been stranded multiple times running errands, now I have to keep my car running when I go to the grocery store, that way I know it'll work when I come back. This is completely unacceptable, I am at my wits end with this problem. I want to get rid of my car, but don't want to pawn this off on someone else.

2014 Ford Escape EX - While driving with cruise control on, two hours into a 2.5 hour trip, my car started jerking and engine revving, with slowly dying power to gas pedal. I first turned off cruise control and when it continued, pulled over on highway shoulder, and turned off engine. I turned it back on and pulled back onto the highway, and it started again. Made split second decision to exit off highway as I passed an exit and am glad I did. The vehicle essentially stopped moving as I got to the end of the off ramp. I was lucky that it "rolled" to the side - barely - with a truck right behind me who was observant and went around me. It seemed like a transmission/power train issue to me.

Found a handy Ford Emergency Roadside Assistance card in my glove box and was relieved to see I was within the time frame as it is offered for the first 5 years/60k miles. My car has 52k. They sent a tow truck who towed it to the nearest Ford dealership which was 8 miles away in Norwich, CT. I called ahead (4:30 pm on a Fri), but they can't look at it until Mon. Now I have to borrow my sister's vehicle to get back home and she will bring mine back to swap cars once mine is fixed - and I'm hoping that will be within the week! Assuming it's the transmission, the repair should be covered under warranty. But overall I'm not feeling good about it - having made the move to buy Ford after years with Toyota. Hoping for a good outcome but reading about other similar issues, not to mention the rust problems, it may be best to trade in earlier than later.

Has anyone had problems with their 2016 Ford Escapes? I am leasing a Titanium right now and have not had it a year yet and am having transmission issues with this vehicle. I leased a 2013 SE Ford Escape and was happy with it and had no transmission issues. The 2013 Escape was not a Titanium and was an all wheel drive vehicle with a towing package. The 2016 Titanium model I drive now is a front wheel drive vehicle with no towing but has navigation and Sirius Radio.

Over the past 4 months, I have noticed jerking when I drive and when my husband drives (2 different drivers). It started first when putting it in reverse but now it is doing it in drive as well. I believe it is a computer chip but I just called Taylor Ford and the service guy said he is booked on transmissions until next Monday. That is the soonest I can bring it in to the dealership I leased it at. I told the guy that I really don't believe it will last that long and I have no other car I can use until this is resolved. I would contact another dealer as it is still under warranty but another dealer isn't going to want to do warranty work on a car they did not lease to.

I had no issues with my trans on my 2013 so it is not my driving and as stated earlier, my husband has had the same problem with this vehicle as well. Ford has a real problem on its hands and I have been talking to other titanium owners and some of them are having the same issues as well. Until Ford gets their ** together on these transmissions, I would stay clear of their Titanium Escapes! Buyer beware. Wish me luck on my car as one week is a long way away.

Also, my friend bought a Focus Titanium and she is having the same issues as well. The dealership she took it to told her it was the electronic clutch and it was the way she was driving. Really?? The dealership she took it to was not the dealership she bought it at so again, buyer beware of these Titanium Fords and even though you are supposed to be able to take your vehicle to any dealership, my friend did not get her issue resolved at a closer dealership. I will let you know what the issue is and how long it took for the repair when this gets resolved. Again, I am hoping it is a chip issue. I don't think so as for me to have to wait to get this looked at when it is acting up so badly is not very comforting. The car otherwise is pretty cool. The car is great otherwise.

Ford Escape Company Profile