2.38/5
Based on 38 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

379 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 9, 2018

Owned a new 2015 Chrysler 200S that had multiple transmission issues. Traded this car for new 2017 Ford Escape Titanium. Really enjoy this smaller SUV. Great styling inside and outside. Strong 2.0 turbo Ecoboost. Nice tech features. I felt I received a good deal unlike what the Chrysler dealer offered. After 10 months. I have become a huge Ford fan. My wife liked my SUV so much, she traded her Honda for a larger Ford Edge Sport. Her car exceeds my vehicle in both performance and tech features.

Original review: May 2, 2018

My 2013 Ford Escape SEL is a lemon, I am afraid to put miles on it! 50K miles, leaking CV joints, shocks need replacing. Vehicle floats and passengers complain about the motion of the vehicle and think it is my driving but when they drive it, they understand.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 1, 2018

2016 Ford Escape gets 28+ mpg, when using acceleration control, speeds ranging from 70 on interstate to 25 in neighborhoods. Maintenance costs have been minimal, coming up on 55k, $38 to $70. My wife liked the headroom getting in and out of car. Wife picked the Edge over a 2014 Subaru, Outback. Back tailgate has provided challenges loading some item, furniture, loading push mower. Backseat passenger leg room is scarce, unless in a car seat or one is petite. Not quite as quiet as she requires. She has a cochlear implant so road and wind noise affects her understanding of listening to radio or conversations. Better than previous cars. We have had mini, club, or VW vans, wife did not want to extend that survive into our 70s. My goal was to purchase a car that she wanted and she would drive. She prefers to have me chauffeur her, still.

Original review: April 29, 2018

I love my Ford Escape. The only thing it could use is a bit more room, but it goes everywhere, and has never let me down. The automatic 4-wheel drive has been a lifesaver many times, especially during winter storms or unpaved roads. As long as I keep good tires on it, I think it will last me a long time!

Original review: April 28, 2018

2014 Ford Escape vehicle is 100% not operational! It will not start up, no lights, can't move gears, it will not do anything... Completely dead... Ford is the worst vehicle I have ever purchase... Do not purchase a Ford because if anything happens Ford company will not take ownership and will make your life a living hell... My vehicle is completely not working, no shut on, no lights, no nothing... It was towed to a Ford dealership - Ford AutoNation in Union City on March 12, 2018 and is still just sitting there until this day. I was contacted and worked with service associate James the 1st week on answering questions, being informed that my vehicle is being looked at by the technicians but they can't determine why my vehicle is not working, saying that we have not seen a situation like this before...

I was contact the 2nd week informed that a body control module was installed which is usually the issue why the vehicle is not working, but still could not get vehicle to work. I was then told that they were going to contact a Ford engineer to have them to come out to inspect vehicle. Well a Ford engineer came out to inspect vehicle and the Ford engineer could not come up with a reason why the vehicle is completely not working... "Yes can you believe it, not even the engineers, the people who build the car have a clue to why my vehicle is not working." So of course Ford not taking any type of ownership in a vehicle that is made by them and completely not working. I was told to contact my insurance company based on an "assumption" by the engineer(s) that "maybe" it had some type of electrical surge caused by the vehicle being struck by lightning which is the result of the vehicle completely not working.

So, with more wasted time my insurance company (Progressive) was contacted and a claim was made. The insurance adjuster went out to the Ford dealership on 4/19/2018 and looked at my vehicle from front to back... And guess what... Per the adjuster there was "nowhere" on the vehicle where my 2014 Ford escape had "ever" been struck by lightning. I called Ford corporate claim # ** and was told by a rep that a call will be made to CarMax which is where I purchased the vehicle from to find out what was going on, come to find out speaking with the service manager ** at CarMax, he stated that he never received a call from Ford. Since then absolutely nothing has been done but pass the problem back to CarMax in Southlake which is where I purchased the vehicle from and CarMax passing the issue back to Ford... However this is a Ford issue, this is a manufacturer's issue. This vehicle is 100% not working...

Oh let me not fail to mention that I also purchase an extended warranty, that I can't use based on the fact that Ford can't even determine what's wrong with a vehicle manufactured by them. Which means that I am out of transpiration. My warranty only covers rentals if the vehicle is being worked on. Get it... Ford can't find and does not seem to even care to find the problem... So I have a 1700 warranty just sitting...

So I made contact again with the Ford corporate office on 4/27/2018 and spoke with representative Eric claim # ** who stated to just get a 2nd opinion at another Ford dealership. Allenvisual Ford was recommended since it was listed as the nearest location... I scheduled a towing company to go pick up my vehicle from AutoNation Ford where it has just been sitting since March 12, 2018. The towing company gets there and guess what... My vehicle could not be towed because my vehicle had not been put back together...

So I am still required to pay a 400.00 car note, 200.00 insurance, on a non running vehicle that has a warranty on it to a company who made a vehicle that just completely stopped running and the own makers can't even determine what is wrong with it and seems to care less about not standing up to its name... Below is more in depth story:

On March 7, 2017, I bought a 2014 gray Ford Escape vin # ** mileage 32209. I made this purchase at CarMax Auto Superstores, Inc., Located at 3100 Mt. Zion Parkway, Stockbridge, Ga 30281. Cash price of vehicle was $15,599.00, a down payment of 3000.00 was rendered. I accepted to get optional gap waiver agreement in the amount of 640.00 and the optional extended service contract in the amount of 1,659.00. I have 72 number of payments in the amount of 398.56 due the 21st of every month.

Unfortunately, your product has not performed well in good faith as I have relied on it to do because on March 11, 2018 I entered my vehicle and my vehicle was completely dead. I assumed that maybe it was the battery based on the fact that there was a prior issue with the vehicle not starting a month after I purchased the vehicle. My vehicle was towed at the expense of CarMax on March 24, 2017 back to sales location where I was told according to the diagnostics vehicle was dead due to a bad battery. Based on the fact that it was past the service center hours I waited until the next day to contact the service center. After having concerns as to why I had the issue with my vehicle being completely dead I made a decision to have my vehicle towed to the AutoNation Ford dealership located 4355 Jonesboro Rd, Union City, Ga 30291.

My vehicle was towed on March 12, 2018 to AutoNation Ford where I spoke to service representative ** who informed me that it would be a few days before a diagnostic could be given on vehicle. Within a few days I did receive a call from service rep ** stating that vehicle would not come on as it was completely dead so needed to do further diagnostic on it. While services were being rendered on my vehicle I was given a rental under the provisions of my extended warranty contract. I also contracted CarMax at the Stockbridge location and spoke with the service manager ** informing him of the issue with the vehicle, letting him know how dissatisfied I am as a consumer knowing that CarMax is a company that takes pride on selling great vehicles. ** was very unprofessional and showed no concern in a matter that was very urgent.

As of April 25, 2018 I my vehicle has still not been repaired, not CarMax or the Ford dealership has a clue as to what is going on with my vehicle. I would like to bring some key factors to your attention as to how I have patiently tried to work with CarMax Southlake and Autonation Ford on resolving such a issue that has caused me pain and suffering, loss of sleep, financial burden, family neglect, and call outs.

My vehicle is still not working at all. Has been at Autonation Ford since March 12, 2018. Ford technicians determine that they could not determine what was going on with the vehicle so called out Ford engineers. Ford engineers came out and could not determine what was going on with vehicle but suggested that it was a possibility that it may be an electrical surge due to vehicle being struck by lightning. It was suggested that I contact my insurance company.

On 4/19/2018 I had to turn in my rental, at this point I don't have any transportation based on the fact that the extended warranty only covers rental when services is being done on vehicle but based on the fact that no one can determine why the vehicle would not shut on, no services were being rendered at that time. A claims adjuster did go out to Autonation Ford on 4/19/2018 to inspect vehicle where it was determined that there were no parts of the vehicle that had ever had any contact with lightning.

Vehicle was towed back to CarMax on 4/20/2018 still not working, still completely dead. I have asked to speak to upper management when contacting CarMax Southlake with all calls being routed back to the service manager **. I have contacted Ford corporate office 4 times claim # **, where absolutely nothing has been done to resolve the issue, last contact with the Ford corporate customer care was on 4/27/2018 where I have contacted several parties including; Carmax Southlake service department, Carmax Southlake business office, Autonation Ford dealership 7706746075, Carmax customer relations, Ford corporate 18003923673 claims # **, Progressive insurance **.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ford?

Original review: April 28, 2018

I bought my Ford Escape in 2010 right as the 2011 were starting out. Low mileage 2nd hand. I did have a meltdown that turned out to be a recall and taken care of. Only neg is CD player is out & can't get it fixed.

Original review: April 27, 2018

My Ford Escape has almost 100k miles on it and other than regular oil and filter changes I have replaced the front brakes 1 time and the battery 3 times but that is it, I love my Ford Escape.

Original review: April 26, 2018

Have had this Ford Escape in for repairs and there always seems to be more. Have spent thousands of dollars. Simply can't continue repairing this car but don't know what to do.

Original review: April 25, 2018

My first Ford Escape was a 2015 model. It was totaled in a head on collision. Then bought 2017 Ford Escape; love it except the brakes squeal when applied. They were replaced with new brake shoes, still squeal terribly. Taking it back to dealer AGAIN.

Original review: April 24, 2018

I love this vehicle. I'm disabled, so I was looking for a vehicle that was easy to get in and out of. Ford Escape Titanium fits the bill with power seats on the driver's and passenger's side. I can lower the seat to get in, then move it up and fix to my liking. Having a backup camera also is very convenient.

Original review: April 20, 2018

In short Ford motor does not take ownership of metal fatigue in wheel wells and dealership (Arlington Ford) admits there is a problem, but does not want to fix it, they say it's a Ford company issue. Customer Service (case # **) throws up the hands and says it's my responsibility to fix it. Look online and see the number of 2011/12 having metal layers separating.

Purchased a 2012 Ford Escape (new) along with a 72 mo/75K mile extended warranty. This car is and always has been meticulously maintained: Washed and waxed regularly, serviced. I have almost 54,000 miles on it and just noticed rust on it about 2 months ago, also that the paint on the driver side rear fender is starting to bubble. I looked in the wheel well and it is completely warped and rusted on outside edge, right up to the paint. There are 2 pieces of metal come to together to form a seam there, and when I put my hand up there, I can feel that the seam is open and the upper layer is torn in multiple places. I looked over at the passenger rear wheel well and it is not as bad, but is starting to warp and rust. The front 2 seem fine.

I immediately took it to the dealership. One of the managers at the desk looked at it and said this is a known problem and design change in 2011 and 2012. He said my warranty will not cover the cost to fix it and the standard 60 mo/unlimited mile Perforation Warranty will only cover it if there is a hole. He told me to contact Ford Motor Company directly. There is nothing they can do. So basically, if a hole doesn't appear the warranty is not, I'm on my own. I took it to my body shop and they said that their patch kit made to repair this issue for the driver side and passenger side. Cost of $1500 per side. They can spray some rust proofing protector up inside to try to prevent any further damage.

I had the spray done when I bought the car, but they said the same thing, it must have a hole. And have no guarantee. I wasn't going to give up on this car until now. I am very upset and angry as I had just finished paying it off last Fall. $30K. I am done with Ford and done with dumping money into cars that rust after having 5 Ford cars that rusted. I figured they would have figured out by now. 5-year old cars shouldn't rust out. I think the only thing I can do is fix the rust and trade it in as soon as possible before something else rusts through or falls apart. It will not be another Ford. Looking online I see this is a North American issue on Ford Vehicles. Canada government got after Ford to fix it.

Original review: April 18, 2018

Ford Escape is basically a good car but weak on electrical switches and window regulators poorly constructed. Body could use better protection and it's hard to see the instrument cluster when driving into the sun.

Original review: April 17, 2018

Ford Escape is great looking inside and out and it drives very well. However, after two weeks with the car, received an "engine fault service" message on the dashboard. No one seems to know anything about this and I'm stuck with this car.

Original review: April 16, 2018

Went and bought a new 2018 Ford Escape because I have owned older models and liked the ride quality as well as the small SUV aspect. This was my first new car purchase and the Escape now has less than 700 miles on it and the transmission has crapped out... 700 miles not 7000... Let that sink in. The dealer has been nothing but helpful but they've had it for almost a week and still have no idea what is wrong with it, meanwhile I'm driving a car that's a complete pain to get in and out of because of my size. Not a good first time new car experience, maybe I should have paid a little more and got something different. Now I'm going to have to pay on a car I can't drive and have only possessed for a week. Not cool at all.

Original review: March 16, 2018

Purchased A 2013 Ford Escape in October 2017 and it was the worst purchase I ever made. The car shudders while driving at speeds of 55 mph and over. When brake is tapped it stops shuddering and will not even go into overdrive. Took it back to Ford about 5 times and they could not find anything when they drove it. I am scared to even take the car out of town. I complained to the manager and he told me in so many words "You did not buy a new vehicle". I am so frustrated I don't know what to do. Now I am stuck with a car payment and can't get the dealer or the Ford Company to help.

Original review: March 7, 2018

Don't buy from Ford--they don't back up their product. My 2013 Ford Escape's transmission blew after only 80k miles. The Ford service manager said it shouldn't have happened with such low mileage and must have been a faulty transmission. He said to call Ford. I spoke with every level of management up to the executive office and emailed William Ford, Jr, the chairman. The only response I got was no apology and that I should have bought an extended warranty. I am out $5k using their service center because of Ford's mistake and they will not assist at all. I will NEVER buy another Ford and I am appalled at their poor business practice.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

Much like the other reviewers my 2017 Ford escape has been issue after issue. A few months after purchasing my vehicle brand new the left brake system went faulty and failed while driving on the freeway with my son. It was metal on metal and extremely scary and with no explanation from Ford as to why this happened. Then in November of 2017 the engine blew while driving on the freeway again with my young son as a passenger again with no explanation as to why. Ford did replace the brakes and engine. However I have had the vehicle back in the shop due to the check engine light coming back on and the engine makes a funny sound now and the car drives horribly.

I dropped my vehicle off two days ago with the promise of a loaner which is under my warranty and was shuttled to work and left with no vehicle the entire day. I had to leave work early to be shuttled to an Enterprise and pay the rental fee and insurance. It has been two days now with no diagnosis to what is wrong with my engine except that there is something wrong and it could be Tuesday until I hear anything. I have already been without my new vehicle for over a month's time due to all these repairs and had to make numerous trips and schedule rental cars. Not only do I know I was sold a lemon but I am also so upset with Ford's lack of customer service or any concern. If I could I would give negative stars!

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

Since March 2016 I have had nothing but issues with my SUV (2016 Ford Escape SL). Starting with breaks squealing (they told me it's normal). No heat and lights on dash would not shut off. I have bought a Lemon brand new and Ford does not take anything serious to stand behind there brand. Their customer service at Freedom Ford is lacking as well, they offered no shuttle service for me to get home and had to take a cab.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I wish I had read this before I bought it - so many things I read I have had similar issues. :( Today I went to get something out of back seat and there is a leak behind passenger seat coming from the light (was a heavy rain). When I look online so many people have same issue but nobody really had a suggestion for me.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

I wish I could give zero stars. I had my Escape into Ford several times. Every time there would be something they couldn’t fix but 12 other things they would see wrong. Well last January my car kept dying. So much that I had to have a portable jumper with me at all times. Everywhere I went. I had changed the battery and checked the alternator. No problems there. The car continued to die. I brought it in and Ford kept it for two days and couldn’t figure out why this was happening. They couldn’t fix it and when I went to pick it up they handed me a 1000 dollar bill.

I refused to pay it since they did nothing. I offered to pay them 200 but they said I had to pay. I blasted them on Facebook. All of a sudden my car was free - still not fixed. I went to a friend who had just starting working as a mechanic. He found the problem in 3 min and fixed it for 100 total. Fast forward to January 2018. I was rear ended and had a flat tire. When my husband came to fix it the spare was dry rotted. Ford was literally across the street and even though I didn’t want to I had to take it there. I wasn’t sure how far my car would’ve made it to.

The bad spare. When I got there I find out that they put me on a do not service list and won’t change my tire because I blasted them on Facebook. I’m not making this next part up. They put me in a little room for “bad customers”. It wasn’t the waiting area. This was a room where I sat all by myself and they came in and proceeded to yell at me. I told them to look at themselves and said, "Why wouldn’t I blast you? Look at what you're doing?" They made me borrow a car from a friend and wouldn’t change the tire for 2 days. Don’t buy a Ford. They will make everything difficult. Worst company around.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

On January 1, 2018, I drove to church in my 2014 Ford Escape. The church is a mile away from my house. Upon entering the church parking lot, my Ford Escape filled with smoke, and there was a burning odor. I was able to exit my car, only to see flames coming out of the hood of the car. There also was a fire under my car. As I ran into the church the car was fully engulfed in flames. Several loud booms were heard and the car literally exploded. Fire and police were called to put out the fire. On January 12, 2018, I received a recall from Ford, stating my car could catch on fire, due to a coolant problem. The recall was 12 days too late. I have not been able to get any type of help from Ford with this problem. I am at a loss as to what I can do. I am out to $25,000 due to this unfair situation. I will never buy a Ford again. This has caused much pain and suffering. I am reaching out for help from anyone who has any suggestions in this situation. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

I purchased new 2017 Ford Escape SE only a few months ago. Now at 1,500 miles. For the past three weeks, the low tire pressure light comes on, and at the same time, I began smelling burning odor coming from rear back tires (also very hot), from riding only a mile or so. Also noticed rust inside the wheel (tire well). It looks like paint spilled. I called today and Al Packer Ford WPB, FL (where purchased), is booked but say they will take a look at it, but very busy. They have no clue. It cannot be the brakes already with less than 1,500 miles.

After reading many bad reviews on this site regarding the same issue, not sure I will keep this car. It looks pretty on the outside, but I am not one for high maintenance cars. It is an all-day affair waiting to get them to look at it. Also, the car is not comfortable on long trips. The seats do not have the tilt expansion like the Ford Explorer I had previously. Will see what they say. At this point, this is too soon to have maintenance issues. A single female senior. It sounds as though this will be problematic and ongoing.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

I have a 2013 Ford Escape. I started noticing paint bubbling on the hatch when I lifted it at 37000 miles. I looked at the warranty and was relieved to see it was still covered to 50000miles. So I made appointment and took it in for service and have bubbling fixed the next week. Well, come to find out they only cover it if there is a rust HOLE!!!! I could not believe with just 1000 miles over they would not fix it, but they wouldn’t. I even went to corporate and no help. Now the car at 59000 miles is rusting at the hatchback and the bottom of all the doors. For a car that is 4 years old, it is embarrassing!!!! Mind you I live in Nashville, Tn where we rarely get any snow that requires salt. My battery died this week (4yrs old, my 2008 Dodge truck still has its original battery). It’s jerking into gear when you give it gas. Oh and I make my last payment in April.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I had a 2012 Ford Escape that I had good luck with. Unfortunately I was rear-ended by a girl texting and the car was totaled. I got a replacement in a similar model with far less miles on it than I had on the other one. Almost immediately I started having A/C problems. The seller of the car helped the first time it went out but not the second and third time the A/C went out. It cost me over $1,000 to get it fixed - and a similar amount for the seller of the car the first time it was "fixed". The vehicle was finally seemingly fixed but after less than a year it has gone out again. Apparently if you get one of these lemons it is impossible to keep the A/C fixed. I went online only to find that hundreds of people have had the same problems - and Ford will not do a damn thing about it. They have continued building these cars and selling them - knowing that the A/C was going to fail. Anyone want to join in a class action lawsuit? These vehicles evidently are horrible!

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

My 2012 Ford Escape is already developing rust on the left rear quarter panel. I have observed many others of similar model and vintage experiencing the same condition. This is unacceptable for a five year old car with only 36,000 miles. I contacted a Ford dealer as well as Ford Motor Company and their response was basically "too bad, you lose". This car is junk - I will never buy a Ford product again. A class action suit is warranted.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2017

In April 2016 I purchased a 2014 Ford Escape with 30k miles on it. I needed a reliable vehicle for my family, I was tired of breaking down and having to fix older vehicles. Everything was ok at first. In mid October 2017 (50k miles) the heat stopped working, check engine light came on, then it started overheating. Do research and find out there was a recall on coolant leaking and the engine catching fire. The resolution and parts were not available at that time. So I bring it to the Ford dealership. At first they wanted me to pay $600. I said "No, don't fix it. I will wait for the remedy to come out." Finally someone submitted my request to Ford. They had my car for 4 days (1 day rental car) and I ended up paying a $100 deductible. Everything was ok.

Now a month later November 18th 2017 I'm driving on the highway and the car starts revving high and slowing down so I pull over to the shoulder (kids are freaking out). I put it in park then try to drive and it won't move. I turn it off, wait a couple minutes and it moves a few feet then starts revving high and not wanting to go. I wanted to make it to safe place (1/2 mile away). So every few feet I was shutting off the car and going a short distance. At one point I was stuck in the middle of a 4 lane highway.

I finally made it to a parking lot and had to have someone pick up me and my family. Now my car is parked in this parking lot, transmission done. It's Sunday so Ford dealer is closed. I have to call tomorrow and hopefully I can get the transmission fixed. I'm at 53k miles, the powertrain warranty is 5yr/60k miles. I'm a single mom of 2 kids who works full time. I'm writing this review in case someone is considering a 2014 Ford Escape. I would not recommend this vehicle, I wish someone would've warned me. The entire reason I bought this car is for reliability. Boy was I wrong. I will never purchase another Ford.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

My 2009 Ford Escape limited dies about after an hr driving time. Nothing shows up on the diagnostic test Ford ran. After it cools off, it runs again. I had no problems prior to this past April. I took it in for an oil change, went for gas (attendant kept filling past the stop point) and car wash. It stalled out after this. Took it back to Ford. They said diagnostic showed it needed a module. I paid $400+ and it kept stalling. Fuel pump works. Have a friend with same vehicle. Same problem. She got her a steering column replaced and battery. It's still stalling. Don't wait for someone and their family to get hurt or worse. RECALL IT. YOUR MISTAKE IS CAUSING A LOT OF US PROBLEMS AND MONEY.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

2014 ford escape bad transmission at 70k mls - Never ever will I buy a Ford again. On February 9, 2017, I purchased a used but like new 2014 Ford Escape from Westcott Mazda located in National City. I was advised by the Salesperson that an inspection was needed on the car so they kept the car an additional 4-5 days after I brought it. I was advised that this would be a detailed inspection to ensure the car was safe/had no issues. I finally received the car and it ran like a dream until 09/22/2017. The transmission is bad, battery done abs issues and I'm stuck with a 15000 loan on a car that need almost 7000 in repairs. I was assured that this car was in excellent condition as the dealership kept the car in additional 4-5 days for a detailed inspection so I was under the impression all was great with this car but to my surprised it was. Ford cars are not safe and should be avoided at all cost.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

Extremely disappointed with Ford quality. Won't buy a Ford again. No way that a rear differential should be worn out after only 4 years/80k miles. Was not very happy about many aspects of the car to begin with (cheap leather interior, incredibly bad placement of interior lighting, interior too cramped...) But I bought it because I'd had such a great experience with my 2002 Ford Escape, and I was ok with the mileage trade-off involved in getting a 4WD. Never again.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

Our family has had Fords for 50 years. I retired a year and a half ago so I bought a brand new 2013 Ford Escape thinking it would last me for at least 10 years. At 24,000 miles I noticed rust on the inside edge of the driver's door. The car was not driven during the winter very much. I took it to Paquin Motors in St. Albans, VT and they said there was a defect in some vehicle parts as the manufacturer did not put a good seal around the door. They called Ford and they said they needed a picture.

A couple of months later, Paquin said they would fix it in good faith. Well now a year later the rust is back where they fixed it plus all around the inside of the door. Also, starting to rust on the door on the back is showing some rust. I took my car to a well known body shop and he said he would not touch this door as it will not do any good to try to fix it as it is a defect. He said I will be having serious problems with this door. The factory should replace the whole door. I went back to Paquin's and they said Ford will not do a thing for me. I have entered the serial # 1FMCU9GX5DUD14214 as I do not have the order number at this moment. If needed, I will get it.

Ford Escape Company Information