2.89/5
Based on 52 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Auto Warranty Expired?

Ford Escape

The Ford Escape is a crossover SUV with fold-down seats and plenty of cargo storage space. Read more Ford reviews to learn about other models.

397 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I have had problems with this 2017 Ford Escape and Ford Motor Company almost immediately. Going down the road late one night I heard a very loud bang. I thought I had a flat tire or hit something. It turns out that the undercarriage of the vehicle fell off. I drove home and the next morning drove directly to the dealership which was a total of 90 miles. The whole time I could hear rocks banging under the hood. I informed the dealership of this and told them they should really look the car over. I was sure the electrical system was damaged. All they did was replaced the undercarriage.

Since then... The phone randomly calls people, there is a very loud buzzing noise when you unlock the driver's door and doesn't stop until you turn the car on. The check engine light comes on when the fuel is below 1/2 tank, the passenger seat belt alert comes on randomly when there is no one in the seat. When sitting still and the engine stops and you put your foot on the gas it doesn't move then when it does it's at a high speed. It slows down when driving at a normal speed randomly, the molding in the trunk has all come up. I have put 400 miles on my lease taking it back to the dealership for repairs and things still keep happening. I've contacted Ford to beg them to buy the car back. Their answer is to just keep taking it to the dealer for repairs. Well the dealer has since sold out to someone else. This has been a nightmare. I just want out of this lease so that I can go buy something else.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

Ford Escape 2017 - This is the worst car I have ever owned! I have been at Kingsford Multiple times for the same problem. The sync navigation system keeps going black. Kingsford wants me to pay $11,000 for their product issues.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I purchased a 2015 Ford Escape a year ago. It had 26,000 miles on it. Within 3 months the vehicle had a check engine light come on and I took it into the dealership. At the time they couldn't figure out the issue, replaced a filter and sent me on my way. Within 30 days the check engine light came back on. I took the car back in and was told it needed $1,200 worth of parts (emissions canister and ventilation filter) that were not covered under warranty. I did not replace the parts at that time. I moved to Denver in January of 2018 and the car was still having problems. I took it to a different Ford Dealer in Denver who charged me $450 to replace a defective evap purge valve. Immediately after getting the car back it ran worse. Last week the car broke down on the side as I was driving down the highway with passengers in my vehicle. Thankfully I was able to get out of traffic safely.

I had it towed to Ford and was out of a vehicle for 5 days waiting for a diagnostic. They said they were unable to "recreate the issue" and suggested I replace my fuel sensor at another cost of $450, although they weren't sure that was the problem. I told the service adviser that I thought it was the emissions canister and ventilation filter since I haven't replaced those parts, but he ignored me and insisted it was the sensor. I went ahead and paid to have the sensor replaced, picked the car up last night and it is still having stalling issues. The car has less than 60k miles on it, has been in the shop 4x in the last year and I have spent over $900 in maintenance for issues that are still not fixed. Ford has been sued in a class action over these parts in the Ford Focus (Rivera v. Ford) but refuses to do anything about a recall or replacement of parts even though this is a MAJOR safety issue.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

2004 Ford Escape - Wonderful car until past year. While braking, esp at slower speed, car pulls left. Further brake pressure straightens car out. Have had brakes checked 3 times and am told absolutely nothing wrong. It’s me. When mechanic ck while driving he takes hands off wheel when braking. I don’t. States it makes no difference. Checked master cylinder, fluid, brakes, calipers, etc. Is there anyone who has had this occur or where to call next for an answer. After 14 years driving this car I ought to know when it’s not braking correctly. Otherwise I love this car. Performs very well. Has been so reliable until last year. And yes, I do all the maintenance needed. I don’t want to buy a new car.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

I have a 2013 Ford Escape. Had no problems till warranty ran out. At 37500 miles I was driving down the road and all the sudden there was there huge loud noise in the front end of the car. The slower I drove the noise wasn’t as loud. I limped it to the dealership. The brakes had let loose in the front due to rusting. At the same time I was there I showed them bubbling rust at the back hatch and the bottom of the doors. I read where it was covered up to 50,000 miles so I didn’t get it in before 36,000 mile warranty was up. I was so busy at that time. Got new brakes and rotors out on but they would not fix rust because it has to have a complete hole, nit just bubbling rust. I called Ford because I was only over warranty 1500 miles. They said no problem go back to dealership and talk to manager.

She said they have some sort of account set aside for problems like this. It would be taken care of. Well that didn’t happen. Not long after battery died. Changed battery out now no air conditioning. No one can figure out why. Radio stays on after car turns off and multiple pushes on off to turn it off. Again, they don’t know why. I could go on and on with the problems of this Ford vehicle but tired of typing. Mind you this all happened at just 2 1/2 years of paying for this car. I long have paid this car off but can’t get rid of it because of all its problems. Talk about depreciation value. I have been a lifelong Ford buyer, have not and never will purchase another Ford. I also tell ANYONE who thinks of buying one my story and buy at your own risk.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ford Escape?

Original review: July 28, 2018

Have been driving pretty much all Fords for 45 years now, I turned over 200,000 miles on many of them with just basic maintenance that I also do myself. I was able to get this 2017 Ford Escape Titanium 2.0 Ecoboost FWD with around 25,000 miles before it could be abused too much. I never have understood those who do not do the maintenance when it is due but wait till the car tells you it's broken. Most every car out there is good but how can you tell who neglected it 5 years ago.

Anyway this SUV is like driving a sports car and will get good fuel mileage if you can learn to drive it for good mileage. Drive it hard, do not expect good MPG. I was able to get a loaded with option vehicle $10,000 off MSRP. Paid cash and very happy with another great vehicle. I like the Ford Pass available on Sync 3 that even tracks where your car is on a smartphone if you use it. Read the owners manual for all your maintenance schedules. It will last a long time if you keep up with it. Neglect it once or twice and it is now in a spiral slow death no matter who built it.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I have a 2012 Ford Escape XLT and I have had problems with the A/C ever since I bought the car brand new. I have had all of the following replaced TWICE; compressor, receiver/dryer, expansion/orifice valve, liquid line, system flushed. etc. and it doesn't not work again, same problems. These repairs have cost me in the thousands and Ford isn't willing to recall or help at all! (Never mind the rust that started a year ago, a 5 year old car should NOT be rusting this badly!) I have owned Fords over 30 years. This will definitely be the last one!

Original review: June 21, 2018

I have an 02' Ford Escape. I acquired it preowned from a local dealership... I was looking to upgrade from a car to an SUV so I would have more space for my children. It has a big trunk and roomy front seat. I like the size of it not too big not too small but still 4x4 so good for the Michigan winter. It has been a good basic vehicle but after 150000 miles parts started breaking often... he backseat is kinda small as well. Also it gets rust somewhat easily and electrical issues seem to be common. Won't purchase next time.

Original review: June 19, 2018

I would buy this very same model of Ford Escape again, if I had it to do! This car is fun to drive, economical on gas, comfortable for the kids, and yet just as stylish as it is family-friendly. It's great for long-distance trips or just running out for the weekend grocery haul. It's roomy and still just as easy to park as your standard sized car. Best of all, you get all this and your choice of a range of optional features without breaking the bank! It has just enough horsepower to swiftly avoid any sudden obstacles you may encounter and yet smoothly maneuver in traffic.

From the quality of this vehicle, I can see it lasting me for many years and for many miles to come. Plus, the four-wheel drive gives me the confidence that I can handle tough or icy conditions with much more confidence and ease. The Ford Escape is for those who like a sporty but safe option for a family car. As a techie, I love being able to talk hands-free with the Bluetooth Sync! I chose this car model over others because of its high quality craftsmanship and affordability. It has everything that I need.

Original review: June 18, 2018

Not really a big Ford fan in the first place and this vehicle doesn't help. It's got an eco boost engine which takes a couple of seconds to kick in. This is not helpful on the interstate. It does ride smooth if you're in the front seats. But the back is like riding a pogo stick. It's also too small overall. The seats aren't really comfortable -- front or back. Also, a sunroof would be nice and an alarm and leather interior. However, it does have a lot of nice high tech features. I like the backup camera and having the ability to control the volume on the radio from the steering wheel too. Having Sirius satellite radio is really awesome as well.

Original review: June 16, 2018

My experience with my Escape is enjoyable. I purchased used but have had it for 4 years now and have had no major problems. I like the electric doors and windows. I am simple and I don't really care about all the electrical gadgets but they are nice to have. It's a medium size vehicle and the hatch has plenty of room. Back seat good and roomy and gas mileage is good. However, the seats are gray and anything that spills on them just a tiny bit looks like it is a huge stain even water. It's hard to clean. But overall I don't want to change it. I would purchase another Escape.

Original review: June 15, 2018

I love my car. This is my third Ford Escape. This car is perfect size for my family of 3 plus room for more. It has a big trunk, it's roomy and comfortable, and has decent features. I love the heating and cooling system. The driver and passenger can set their own temperature settings. I love the stereo system and the car handles well. Lots of hands free options. Built in WiFi and a sunroof would make my car better than it is.

Original review: June 14, 2018

It really does run very smoothly and gets pretty good gas mileage. We like the moonroof and the size of the car. There is a lot of trunk space and the self raising trunk is very handy. It drives great and love the features in it. It was the best choice for the money. But they should improve the radio as it could display better. Maybe add some graphics to the stations or song titles as well. We love having Sirius Radio but sometimes the song titles lag a little. Other than that, we love the Ford Escape and would buy one again. We are very happy.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I love my Ford Escape. It is high up off the ground and easy for my husband who has mobility issues to get in and out of the car. Lots of head room and leg room for my extremely tall son who has a hard time fitting in most cars. My teenage son would have room to grow and be able to fit and drive the car as well. He was getting close to 16 when we purchased it. However, the paint job has issues with bubbling in certain spots and that can cause rusting. Also, the car is square and not great on wind shear. But as the model got newer it is more rounded so I would love a newer model.

Original review: June 12, 2018

The Escape is a great little SUV for transportation to and from work destination. Has great acceleration even with the small engine. Easy to handle and good visibility on all sides. It has a large space in the back when back seats are folded down. Access is from the rear or through the two back doors. It was exactly what I needed. I wish it had electric seats though. It does have electric windows, but electric seats would benefit me with the ability and ease of moving driver's seat forward/backward and up & down.

Original review: June 9, 2018

The Ford Escape is a great crossover SUV. I have enjoyed the new experience with this vehicle and enjoy driving it. The back up camera is modern and helps with moving around. The safety features are great too. I like the overall feel of this model car. It is very roomy and is clean as well. The price I got for the car and the rebates were better. I would like more cupholders and a larger back up camera though. The current one is very small. I would also like there to be bag holders in the back to help prevent my food bags from falling over.

Original review: June 8, 2018

My Ford Escape Hybrid has been very dependable except the battery which is common to all batteries in Arizona. The vehicle is a compact SUV but has plenty of room for most anyone's needs. The higher profile also makes me feel more in control on the busy and crowded freeways. I like the fact it will let you know when it is time for maintenance and how many miles you can travel on gas in tank. It was one of the better hybrids at the time. I wish it had a backup camera because although the beeper is nice I still can't get myself to trust it totally. Also would like the ride to be a little smoother. I can really feel the vibrations of the tires. Still, it has been good enough to make me consider another Ford SUV.

Original review: June 7, 2018

The Escape is a 2006 model. It was turned in by someone that bought it and turned it in within a year. The main reason I bought it was all wheel drive. The only things I have besides normal maintenance is the bearings had to be replaced on both sides several times and the transmission needed to be replaced. The Escape has a nice roof rack, and bug shield both of which came with the car. However, I would improve the bearings so that they don't have to be replaced so frequently, also the quality of the leather seats as I am finding even with taking care of them they are starting to crack.

Original review: May 9, 2018

Owned a new 2015 Chrysler 200S that had multiple transmission issues. Traded this car for new 2017 Ford Escape Titanium. Really enjoy this smaller SUV. Great styling inside and outside. Strong 2.0 turbo Ecoboost. Nice tech features. I felt I received a good deal unlike what the Chrysler dealer offered. After 10 months. I have become a huge Ford fan. My wife liked my SUV so much, she traded her Honda for a larger Ford Edge Sport. Her car exceeds my vehicle in both performance and tech features.

Original review: May 2, 2018

My 2013 Ford Escape SEL is a lemon, I am afraid to put miles on it! 50K miles, leaking CV joints, shocks need replacing. Vehicle floats and passengers complain about the motion of the vehicle and think it is my driving but when they drive it, they understand.

Original review: May 1, 2018

2016 Ford Escape gets 28+ mpg, when using acceleration control, speeds ranging from 70 on interstate to 25 in neighborhoods. Maintenance costs have been minimal, coming up on 55k, $38 to $70. My wife liked the headroom getting in and out of car. Wife picked the Edge over a 2014 Subaru, Outback. Back tailgate has provided challenges loading some item, furniture, loading push mower. Backseat passenger leg room is scarce, unless in a car seat or one is petite. Not quite as quiet as she requires. She has a cochlear implant so road and wind noise affects her understanding of listening to radio or conversations. Better than previous cars. We have had mini, club, or VW vans, wife did not want to extend that survive into our 70s. My goal was to purchase a car that she wanted and she would drive. She prefers to have me chauffeur her, still.

Original review: April 29, 2018

I love my Ford Escape. The only thing it could use is a bit more room, but it goes everywhere, and has never let me down. The automatic 4-wheel drive has been a lifesaver many times, especially during winter storms or unpaved roads. As long as I keep good tires on it, I think it will last me a long time!

Original review: April 28, 2018

2014 Ford Escape vehicle is 100% not operational! It will not start up, no lights, can't move gears, it will not do anything... Completely dead... Ford is the worst vehicle I have ever purchase... Do not purchase a Ford because if anything happens Ford company will not take ownership and will make your life a living hell... My vehicle is completely not working, no shut on, no lights, no nothing... It was towed to a Ford dealership - Ford AutoNation in Union City on March 12, 2018 and is still just sitting there until this day. I was contacted and worked with service associate James the 1st week on answering questions, being informed that my vehicle is being looked at by the technicians but they can't determine why my vehicle is not working, saying that we have not seen a situation like this before...

I was contact the 2nd week informed that a body control module was installed which is usually the issue why the vehicle is not working, but still could not get vehicle to work. I was then told that they were going to contact a Ford engineer to have them to come out to inspect vehicle. Well a Ford engineer came out to inspect vehicle and the Ford engineer could not come up with a reason why the vehicle is completely not working... "Yes can you believe it, not even the engineers, the people who build the car have a clue to why my vehicle is not working." So of course Ford not taking any type of ownership in a vehicle that is made by them and completely not working. I was told to contact my insurance company based on an "assumption" by the engineer(s) that "maybe" it had some type of electrical surge caused by the vehicle being struck by lightning which is the result of the vehicle completely not working.

So, with more wasted time my insurance company (Progressive) was contacted and a claim was made. The insurance adjuster went out to the Ford dealership on 4/19/2018 and looked at my vehicle from front to back... And guess what... Per the adjuster there was "nowhere" on the vehicle where my 2014 Ford escape had "ever" been struck by lightning. I called Ford corporate claim # ** and was told by a rep that a call will be made to CarMax which is where I purchased the vehicle from to find out what was going on, come to find out speaking with the service manager ** at CarMax, he stated that he never received a call from Ford. Since then absolutely nothing has been done but pass the problem back to CarMax in Southlake which is where I purchased the vehicle from and CarMax passing the issue back to Ford... However this is a Ford issue, this is a manufacturer's issue. This vehicle is 100% not working...

Oh let me not fail to mention that I also purchase an extended warranty, that I can't use based on the fact that Ford can't even determine what's wrong with a vehicle manufactured by them. Which means that I am out of transpiration. My warranty only covers rentals if the vehicle is being worked on. Get it... Ford can't find and does not seem to even care to find the problem... So I have a 1700 warranty just sitting...

So I made contact again with the Ford corporate office on 4/27/2018 and spoke with representative Eric claim # ** who stated to just get a 2nd opinion at another Ford dealership. Allenvisual Ford was recommended since it was listed as the nearest location... I scheduled a towing company to go pick up my vehicle from AutoNation Ford where it has just been sitting since March 12, 2018. The towing company gets there and guess what... My vehicle could not be towed because my vehicle had not been put back together...

So I am still required to pay a 400.00 car note, 200.00 insurance, on a non running vehicle that has a warranty on it to a company who made a vehicle that just completely stopped running and the own makers can't even determine what is wrong with it and seems to care less about not standing up to its name... Below is more in depth story:

On March 7, 2017, I bought a 2014 gray Ford Escape vin # ** mileage 32209. I made this purchase at CarMax Auto Superstores, Inc., Located at 3100 Mt. Zion Parkway, Stockbridge, Ga 30281. Cash price of vehicle was $15,599.00, a down payment of 3000.00 was rendered. I accepted to get optional gap waiver agreement in the amount of 640.00 and the optional extended service contract in the amount of 1,659.00. I have 72 number of payments in the amount of 398.56 due the 21st of every month.

Unfortunately, your product has not performed well in good faith as I have relied on it to do because on March 11, 2018 I entered my vehicle and my vehicle was completely dead. I assumed that maybe it was the battery based on the fact that there was a prior issue with the vehicle not starting a month after I purchased the vehicle. My vehicle was towed at the expense of CarMax on March 24, 2017 back to sales location where I was told according to the diagnostics vehicle was dead due to a bad battery. Based on the fact that it was past the service center hours I waited until the next day to contact the service center. After having concerns as to why I had the issue with my vehicle being completely dead I made a decision to have my vehicle towed to the AutoNation Ford dealership located 4355 Jonesboro Rd, Union City, Ga 30291.

My vehicle was towed on March 12, 2018 to AutoNation Ford where I spoke to service representative ** who informed me that it would be a few days before a diagnostic could be given on vehicle. Within a few days I did receive a call from service rep ** stating that vehicle would not come on as it was completely dead so needed to do further diagnostic on it. While services were being rendered on my vehicle I was given a rental under the provisions of my extended warranty contract. I also contracted CarMax at the Stockbridge location and spoke with the service manager ** informing him of the issue with the vehicle, letting him know how dissatisfied I am as a consumer knowing that CarMax is a company that takes pride on selling great vehicles. ** was very unprofessional and showed no concern in a matter that was very urgent.

As of April 25, 2018 I my vehicle has still not been repaired, not CarMax or the Ford dealership has a clue as to what is going on with my vehicle. I would like to bring some key factors to your attention as to how I have patiently tried to work with CarMax Southlake and Autonation Ford on resolving such a issue that has caused me pain and suffering, loss of sleep, financial burden, family neglect, and call outs.

My vehicle is still not working at all. Has been at Autonation Ford since March 12, 2018. Ford technicians determine that they could not determine what was going on with the vehicle so called out Ford engineers. Ford engineers came out and could not determine what was going on with vehicle but suggested that it was a possibility that it may be an electrical surge due to vehicle being struck by lightning. It was suggested that I contact my insurance company.

On 4/19/2018 I had to turn in my rental, at this point I don't have any transportation based on the fact that the extended warranty only covers rental when services is being done on vehicle but based on the fact that no one can determine why the vehicle would not shut on, no services were being rendered at that time. A claims adjuster did go out to Autonation Ford on 4/19/2018 to inspect vehicle where it was determined that there were no parts of the vehicle that had ever had any contact with lightning.

Vehicle was towed back to CarMax on 4/20/2018 still not working, still completely dead. I have asked to speak to upper management when contacting CarMax Southlake with all calls being routed back to the service manager **. I have contacted Ford corporate office 4 times claim # **, where absolutely nothing has been done to resolve the issue, last contact with the Ford corporate customer care was on 4/27/2018 where I have contacted several parties including; Carmax Southlake service department, Carmax Southlake business office, Autonation Ford dealership 7706746075, Carmax customer relations, Ford corporate 18003923673 claims # **, Progressive insurance **.

Original review: April 28, 2018

I bought my Ford Escape in 2010 right as the 2011 were starting out. Low mileage 2nd hand. I did have a meltdown that turned out to be a recall and taken care of. Only neg is CD player is out & can't get it fixed.

Original review: April 27, 2018

My Ford Escape has almost 100k miles on it and other than regular oil and filter changes I have replaced the front brakes 1 time and the battery 3 times but that is it, I love my Ford Escape.

Original review: April 26, 2018

Have had this Ford Escape in for repairs and there always seems to be more. Have spent thousands of dollars. Simply can't continue repairing this car but don't know what to do.

Original review: April 25, 2018

My first Ford Escape was a 2015 model. It was totaled in a head on collision. Then bought 2017 Ford Escape; love it except the brakes squeal when applied. They were replaced with new brake shoes, still squeal terribly. Taking it back to dealer AGAIN.

Original review: April 24, 2018

I love this vehicle. I'm disabled, so I was looking for a vehicle that was easy to get in and out of. Ford Escape Titanium fits the bill with power seats on the driver's and passenger's side. I can lower the seat to get in, then move it up and fix to my liking. Having a backup camera also is very convenient.

Original review: April 20, 2018

In short Ford motor does not take ownership of metal fatigue in wheel wells and dealership (Arlington Ford) admits there is a problem, but does not want to fix it, they say it's a Ford company issue. Customer Service (case # **) throws up the hands and says it's my responsibility to fix it. Look online and see the number of 2011/12 having metal layers separating.

Purchased a 2012 Ford Escape (new) along with a 72 mo/75K mile extended warranty. This car is and always has been meticulously maintained: Washed and waxed regularly, serviced. I have almost 54,000 miles on it and just noticed rust on it about 2 months ago, also that the paint on the driver side rear fender is starting to bubble. I looked in the wheel well and it is completely warped and rusted on outside edge, right up to the paint. There are 2 pieces of metal come to together to form a seam there, and when I put my hand up there, I can feel that the seam is open and the upper layer is torn in multiple places. I looked over at the passenger rear wheel well and it is not as bad, but is starting to warp and rust. The front 2 seem fine.

I immediately took it to the dealership. One of the managers at the desk looked at it and said this is a known problem and design change in 2011 and 2012. He said my warranty will not cover the cost to fix it and the standard 60 mo/unlimited mile Perforation Warranty will only cover it if there is a hole. He told me to contact Ford Motor Company directly. There is nothing they can do. So basically, if a hole doesn't appear the warranty is not, I'm on my own. I took it to my body shop and they said that their patch kit made to repair this issue for the driver side and passenger side. Cost of $1500 per side. They can spray some rust proofing protector up inside to try to prevent any further damage.

I had the spray done when I bought the car, but they said the same thing, it must have a hole. And have no guarantee. I wasn't going to give up on this car until now. I am very upset and angry as I had just finished paying it off last Fall. $30K. I am done with Ford and done with dumping money into cars that rust after having 5 Ford cars that rusted. I figured they would have figured out by now. 5-year old cars shouldn't rust out. I think the only thing I can do is fix the rust and trade it in as soon as possible before something else rusts through or falls apart. It will not be another Ford. Looking online I see this is a North American issue on Ford Vehicles. Canada government got after Ford to fix it.

Original review: April 18, 2018

Ford Escape is basically a good car but weak on electrical switches and window regulators poorly constructed. Body could use better protection and it's hard to see the instrument cluster when driving into the sun.

Not sure about Ford Escape?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Car Dealers for you.

Ford Escape Company Information

www.ford.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business