Ford Escape

Ford Escape Reviews

About Ford Escape

The Ford Escape is a crossover SUV with fold-down seats and plenty of cargo storage space. Read more Ford reviews to learn about other models.

Ford Escape Reviews

Stars Rating

• 19%
  • 81%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ford Escape?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ford Escape?

Reviewed March 7, 2024

There is no printed manual. They provide a software version in the car. The web version has poor and incomplete content and search is poor. It is difficult to find operational info. Only 3 how to videos.

Punctuality & Speed

Reviewed Jan. 19, 2024

I had a terrible accident when three lights appeared on dash caused terrible experience. The car accelerate very fast. They took me to the hospital with a lot of bruises. I'll never buy a Ford car. Never again. NOT RECOMMENDED.

Get buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Customer ServicePricePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed Oct. 25, 2023

I purchased a brand new 2017 Ford Escape in 2016- the first issue is the auto start stop feature which can become faulty if there is a dash light on (was told this by ford) after stalling completely at a red light- luckily, you can shut it off but that doesn’t fix the issue upon starting it- there is not a recall, and there isn’t a fix- this was the response- a few months ago the vehicle started losing pressure with incline & took awhile to gain speed. The engine light came on a few days prior to this- when I brought it to have the code read the codes were all timing related with a “likely” fix of an 02 sensor- I had the 02 sensors replaced, that didn’t solve the problem so I continued replacing all of the codes hoping it wasn’t the final one of the fuel pump.

When I asked ford for guidance, they were unwilling to help only telling me I was low on oil- very weird as I’ve always had changes done on time & my vehicle has never leaked oil, has never smelt funny, nor did any engine light for the oil ever come on in the history of owning my vehicle. I ended up adding a quart- which now according to my dipstick, said I had too much oil- since I have never learned how to change oil, I brought it directly in to get an oil change & also had the transmission fluid changed (before fords recommendation). From here, I brought my car to the shop who told me that this issue is likely a much larger issue as it’s a KNOWN problem to ford yet Ford is not addressing the issue. The shop told me I needed my turbo fuel pump replaced.

Less than two months after replacing the fuel pump- the same issues occurred, I brought the vehicle back into the shop as there is a warranty on the pump- they now told me that my camshaft & timing was shot- they also told me that I had low oil, the second time now being told this, both shortly after having an oil change- the shop added enough oil to bring it to safe levels and then stated that it was actually too low and only needed 1 QT., though there was ZERO oil on the dipstick. Again, no oil leaking anywhere, no oil engine light, this is the problem, and this is what Fors KNOWS exists yet keeps letting people pay $10,000 + for a new engine (FOR A NEW VEHICLE) they called Ford so they could provide me an estimate, Ford told them they do not sell those individual parts & that my entire engine needed to be replaced- I was estimated $ 9,300.00.

I have called Ford Motor and they wrote down my complaint and told me to, “keep my receipts in case it ever becomes a recall.” That would be great however, I am a single mom, a Special Education Teacher & a part time college student working towards my Masters degree. I just paid this vehicle off 6 months ago, the first vehicle I have ever owned that was brand new- also in my favorite color which also is no longer in production. Thankfully I have been able to borrow friends & family members vehicles however, due to schedules there are some nights I am not getting home until after 7pm.

I also have to continue paying insurance on my vehicle even though I cannot drive it as I know eventually it will be fixed or sold- One of my co workers also has the same vehicle and told me her and her husband are looking to get her into a new vehicle much sooner than planned as one of their friends also has the same vehicle and just had to have the engine replaced for the same issue costing her $8,000.00. While I understand making the call to recall something such as an engine is no small deal- it’s also no small deal that I have to constantly figure out how to make it to work to continue getting a paycheck to keep a roof over my son and I’s head.

Cost so far:
      Sensor replacements- $700.00
      Oil Change/Transmission Fluid Change: $225.00
      Fuel Pump Replacement & Diagnostic: $1,7100.00
      Second Diagnosis (engine diagnostic): $179.00
      Second Opinion at another shop: $ 219.00

Totaling: $2,798.00

Vehicle Status: incapable of driving, it’s currently sitting in the shop. I do not have a vehicle to get me to and from work. When the engine does get replaced that will have a new total of $12,098.00. There is NO reason that my vehicle should not be working. I know one thing, that is that Henry Ford would be very disappointed.

Reviewed Oct. 3, 2023

My 2017 Ford Escape's remote start quit working recently. I replaced the fob's battery and that did not work, I had the battery replaced with a new battery that did not work, and I had a new remote start put in by a Ford dealer and that hasn't worked. Now they are telling me it is in the Ford Escape's electrical system somewhere and they cannot figure it out. I am on a fixed income and this is costing me big time. If it is an electrical problem in the vehicle shouldn't this be the manufacturer's fault? My Escape only has 43.000 miles on it and this is the first time it has given me a problem. I just want the remote start to work is that asking too much? Can I go after the Ford manufacturer for the cost of this?

Verified purchase

Reviewed Dec. 23, 2022

It’s completely worst. Ford Escape I have November 2020. Today 23 Dec 22. I’m suffering from 17 month. Sunset ford service providers, salesman, worst. I would like to give -5 star. Please Check it out video on google.

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedStaffReliability

Reviewed Aug. 31, 2022

I purchased a Ford Escape in 2017. For the past 3 years, I’ve been dealing with multiple manufacturing defects and repairs that have rendered my vehicle unusable for extended periods of time. This has had a deleterious effect in many aspects of life, as I have no alternate means of transportation and live in an area where a car is necessary for work. Within the past 3 years I have experienced the following:

* 2 failed engines.
      * 2 failed transmissions.
      * All four of the above repairs resulted in extended time at a Ford dealership for repair.

* 1 failed Evaporative Valve – Continues to be repaired at Ford Smithtown since June 6th, 2022 due to a back ordered part.

The first engine blew due to coolant leaking into the engine head Christmas Eve 2019. After having making plans with family and close friends, I had to cancel. Didn’t receive my repaired car until after January 20th 2020. The next month, it was back in the shop with a blown transmission. Had to be rebuilt. The engine and transmission failed as COVID-19 gained traction in March of 2020. I was without a loaner from Ford for most of this time and had to acquire a vehicle from a friend. Six months later, engine issues resurfaced. This time due to my many frustrating and stressful complaints to Ford, I was provided a loaner for a few weeks.

Currently, I have been renting a vehicle for 3 weeks which Ford has agreed to reimburse. Unfortunately, with the prior work missed, missed work opportunities from UBER, and the expenses I have incurred throughout the “Ford’s Built Tough Experience,” I am now experiencing another financial burden due to manufacturing defects. It is unacceptable for Ford to see a loyal customer struggling with a defective car for years without resolution. I was just informed that they have received the part and hopefully my vehicle will be done and ready for pick up tomorrow.

Again, I have been in direct contact with Ford of Smithtown dealership, Ford Motor Company Corporate, and Ford Motor Credit in regard to the issues that I’ve been dealing with without much assistance and no permanent solution. With the current financial crisis, this is continuing to create a significant and unnecessary financial burden. Ford Motor Company, a leader in American made automobiles should be able to resolve this issue. I have tried to sell the car privately, however nobody will buy this car with its history.

My credit, my reliability at work, my safety and lifestyle have been greatly diminished by this whole situation. I’m finding it difficult to get through to the dealership nor am I finding any long-term solution from corporate. No one helps at the local dealership but to parrot that this is “beyond their control” and they say they understand my frustration. However, when my car payment is due I cannot answer with the same response. I was told during a follow-up call that it might be possible to repurpose an evaporative valve ordered for another Ford customer to get my car out sooner (that doesn’t make any sense as the other customer would be out the part).

As a ** gay man, I feel like this is has been one of the most frustrating and stressful scenarios I have had to contend with any company. My wealthy ** boss who is also a Ford customer, owns a F-150 Raptor had similar issues and was given a replacement vehicle with no questions asked. He cannot believe that I am still struggling with manufacturer defects and continued repairs to this vehicle.

I have learned that there is a Class Action lawsuit pending due to manufacturer's engine defects in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of California for the 2013-2019 Ford Escape, 2013-2019 Ford Fusion, 2015-2018 ford Edge. Once more, I own a 2017 Ford Escape. ** I will be forwarding this email to local media outlets, submitting a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, the NYS Department of Motor Vehicles and to my legislators. I have documentation of the type, duration of time and resolution of all prior repairs and am keeping records of the current repair.

Over the past 2 months, my vehicle has been at the dealership being worked on by FORD service. I have spent over $6,000 in car rentals during this time. When I received the call from the service manager that the vehicle was ready, I was skeptical. When I picked up the vehicle, it ran a little sluggish but due to it not being used for two months I decided to run it. Unfortunately, now every time that it sits long enough to the point of the engine cooling, then I start the vehicle, white smoke comes out of the exhaust pipes for about 30 seconds.

I have now started recording it every time that I start the video as evidence. I have called and left messages for the service manager as well as FORD corporate about this issue. A representative called me back and asked what was going on in detail. She then contacted my local FORD dealer to expedite things. I got a call immediately from the service department where he left a message for me to bring in the vehicle yet again.

All I want to do is be able to have reliable transportation to get to work, survive without all of this extra nonsense from a company that I now know has a history of mistreating its customers. I am formally requesting that Ford motor company buy back my car and place me in a suitable replacement (if it was a suitable outcome for my boss it should be a possible outcome in my situation)!!!

Verified purchase
      Staff

Reviewed Aug. 8, 2022

My fiance likes to buy American, so we try to buy Ford products, After years of being with Ford, my fiance became sick, lost his job, covid, then disability. Ford has threatened to take his car, and disabled his account, so he can not make payments. All the years, of being a Ford customer, and one day, you have bad luck with illness, and Ford does not care!! Oh, we deferred payments for 3 months, we gave you an extension" Not good enough Ford!! We hate you, and we will let everyone know you are not good humanitarians at all! We will never buy your cars, products nothing!! You suck, and you are not people friendly! Apple pie my **!!!

Profile pic of the author.
      Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed March 18, 2022

Updated on 04/14/2022: I have contacted FORD'S customer care team on 8 March, regarding an issue with my driver seat bottom and I haven't been contacted by them. I opened on another case on 8 April this time regarding a clunking noise in the rear of the vehicle and I haven't been contacted by FORD. Ford leads the consumer into thinking that they care! BEWARE FORD DOESN'T HAVE CUSTOMER SERVICE AFTER THE SALE! You buy their product and something goes wrong it's up to you to figure how you are going to get it FIXED!

Original Review: Purchased a new 2020 Ford Escape Titanium Awd on March 21 2021 and less than a year the driver seat bottom is sagging! Returned to the Purchased Dealership Lafayette ford in Fayetteville NC and was told by a Ford technician that's the normal characteristic of the material used in the seat! I called the Ford customer care team and opened a claim through them and they never responded to me! I had to contact them 6 different times only to be read a scripted line. They will not help me! I spoke with a Customer Care Supervisor and was told to contact BBB and open a claim through them! What happened to BUMPER TO BUMPER WARRANTY? All that was required was a new seat bottom!

I was emailed by BBB in Michigan, that FORD wants me to go shopping for other opinions I wasn't aware that FORD IS NOW A SUPERMARKET! Why does the customer have to shop for other opinions? This is a Ford product! It has a BUMPER TO BUMPER WARRANTY! I have read on Ford's Facebook the CEO OF FORD James Farley is going to limit the approvals of BUMPER to Bumper Warranty CLAIMS as It is costing FORD'S BOTTOM LINE! PROFITS! FORD'S Bumper to Bumper Warranty is at the discretion of Ford's CEO? Why Buy a FORD when they will not honor their BUMPER TO BUMPER WARRANTY?

Reviewed March 31, 2021

I love this car Ford Escape but it's brand new and my powertrain went out and left me stranded. It's been almost 2 months and the company still hasn't fixed it???? I think it should've been recalled since others are dealing with the same with their escape.

Reviewed March 1, 2021

My 2018 Ford Escape is saying power train malfunction reduced power. It’s a newer car it shouldn’t be having issues like this already. It doesn’t like to shift into gear correctly and the rpms go through the roof. I shouldn’t have to be paying this amount of money already to fix a car that’s not very old.

Ford Escape Company Information