Ford Escape
Based on 312 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

Ford Escape

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 19, 2017

353 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 19, 2017

In April 2016 I purchased a 2014 Ford Escape with 30k miles on it. I needed a reliable vehicle for my family, I was tired of breaking down and having to fix older vehicles. Everything was ok at first. In mid October 2017 (50k miles) the heat stopped working, check engine light came on, then it started overheating. Do research and find out there was a recall on coolant leaking and the engine catching fire. The resolution and parts were not available at that time. So I bring it to the Ford dealership. At first they wanted me to pay $600. I said "No, don't fix it. I will wait for the remedy to come out." Finally someone submitted my request to Ford. They had my car for 4 days (1 day rental car) and I ended up paying a $100 deductible. Everything was ok.

Now a month later November 18th 2017 I'm driving on the highway and the car starts revving high and slowing down so I pull over to the shoulder (kids are freaking out). I put it in park then try to drive and it won't move. I turn it off, wait a couple minutes and it moves a few feet then starts revving high and not wanting to go. I wanted to make it to safe place (1/2 mile away). So every few feet I was shutting off the car and going a short distance. At one point I was stuck in the middle of a 4 lane highway.

I finally made it to a parking lot and had to have someone pick up me and my family. Now my car is parked in this parking lot, transmission done. It's Sunday so Ford dealer is closed. I have to call tomorrow and hopefully I can get the transmission fixed. I'm at 53k miles, the powertrain warranty is 5yr/60k miles. I'm a single mom of 2 kids who works full time. I'm writing this review in case someone is considering a 2014 Ford Escape. I would not recommend this vehicle, I wish someone would've warned me. The entire reason I bought this car is for reliability. Boy was I wrong. I will never purchase another Ford.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

My 2009 Ford Escape limited dies about after an hr driving time. Nothing shows up on the diagnostic test Ford ran. After it cools off, it runs again. I had no problems prior to this past April. I took it in for an oil change, went for gas (attendant kept filling past the stop point) and car wash. It stalled out after this. Took it back to Ford. They said diagnostic showed it needed a module. I paid $400+ and it kept stalling. Fuel pump works. Have a friend with same vehicle. Same problem. She got her a steering column replaced and battery. It's still stalling. Don't wait for someone and their family to get hurt or worse. RECALL IT. YOUR MISTAKE IS CAUSING A LOT OF US PROBLEMS AND MONEY.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

2014 ford escape bad transmission at 70k mls - Never ever will I buy a Ford again. On February 9, 2017, I purchased a used but like new 2014 Ford Escape from Westcott Mazda located in National City. I was advised by the Salesperson that an inspection was needed on the car so they kept the car an additional 4-5 days after I brought it. I was advised that this would be a detailed inspection to ensure the car was safe/had no issues. I finally received the car and it ran like a dream until 09/22/2017. The transmission is bad, battery done abs issues and I'm stuck with a 15000 loan on a car that need almost 7000 in repairs. I was assured that this car was in excellent condition as the dealership kept the car in additional 4-5 days for a detailed inspection so I was under the impression all was great with this car but to my surprised it was. Ford cars are not safe and should be avoided at all cost.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

Extremely disappointed with Ford quality. Won't buy a Ford again. No way that a rear differential should be worn out after only 4 years/80k miles. Was not very happy about many aspects of the car to begin with (cheap leather interior, incredibly bad placement of interior lighting, interior too cramped...) But I bought it because I'd had such a great experience with my 2002 Ford Escape, and I was ok with the mileage trade-off involved in getting a 4WD. Never again.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

Our family has had Fords for 50 years. I retired a year and a half ago so I bought a brand new 2013 Ford Escape thinking it would last me for at least 10 years. At 24,000 miles I noticed rust on the inside edge of the driver's door. The car was not driven during the winter very much. I took it to Paquin Motors in St. Albans, VT and they said there was a defect in some vehicle parts as the manufacturer did not put a good seal around the door. They called Ford and they said they needed a picture.

A couple of months later, Paquin said they would fix it in good faith. Well now a year later the rust is back where they fixed it plus all around the inside of the door. Also, starting to rust on the door on the back is showing some rust. I took my car to a well known body shop and he said he would not touch this door as it will not do any good to try to fix it as it is a defect. He said I will be having serious problems with this door. The factory should replace the whole door. I went back to Paquin's and they said Ford will not do a thing for me. I have entered the serial # 1FMCU9GX5DUD14214 as I do not have the order number at this moment. If needed, I will get it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ford?

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

My 3 month old 2017 Ford Escape, suddenly completely shut the engine off when I braked. I had to put it in park and restart manually. The first time I thought I had done something wrong. However when I started it again and left work, after turning onto the roadway it happened again. Very scary. It had to be towed to the dealer and they are trying to resolve the problem but I am feeling very unsafe about ever driving this car again.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

My 2014 Ford Escape problems started with the air conditioner stopping and had to turn off and back on to get to work. The EcoBoost sensor went out and check engine light came on. After getting the fixed now this is the 3rd time had in for transmission. Default transmission service soon comes on. Was told it was a modular valve. Over $900.00 later still getting the same light coming on. I should have know when a/c started it was going to be trouble. Now at 65k miles and 3 years old it will be nothing but trouble I feel. Do yourself a favor and save the headaches. Buy something else. Just waiting to hear from dealer and try not to lose faith in this car.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

Although I've rented Ford before and found a car I like, I never thought I would actually purchase one. I've had my Escape 2002 for 3 years now, and initially had to put work in it to make it run efficiently, but none of it has been major work yet. The worst part are the sensors that seem to go off at any tiny change, or when the problem is fixed, the sensor still has to be adjusted. I checked the previous owner who kept it up religiously until he sold it. Because of the high mileage on this car (close to 200k), soon I will replace it with another car. I'm sure it won't be a new Escape because of the expense. But I will miss it. I try to take good care of it, like its original owner, who I also believe got rid of it for its high mileage and costly repairs. Otherwise it's a truly enjoyable car.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

We bought a 2014 Ford Escape SE Eco Boost 1.6 a year and half ago. We have had overheating problems. Got that fixed (over 200.00) last summer and it's doing the same thing again. Upon driving this weekend the transmission went out. I called the dealer to see if they would put me in something else or fix it and of course they won't do anything. I will NEVER buy another Ford especially an Escape. This car has cost me more money and headache than any car I have ever owned!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

I have been unable to get my new 2017 Ford Escape fixed since I purchased it in June, 2017. The problem with the car is that the driver's seat is not level, i.e., it slopes towards the car door. I have a bad back and cannot have a crooked seat, nor should I have to in a new car. The Ford dealer's service dept. has told me that they have replaced the seat cushion and the rail, but the seat is still not level. They said that there is nothing else that they can do. I called Ford for assistance and their customer service representative told me that if the dealer has worked with the Ford engineers, "then that is your answer from the Ford Motor Company." I guess that the Ford Motor Company is OK with selling defective cars.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

I have had my 2014 Escape since new and had all oil changes and checkups done at the Ford Dealership where I purchased it. Now the Rear Differential is shot and I have to get it fixed. Major cost!!! When my mechanic called to order the part... it was on back order. How many are having the same issue if it is on back order? I have always bought Ford, but my daughter in law bought a Focus at the same time I got the Escape and she had continual transmission problems. This is the LAST Ford I will buy. They are definitely not building the products they once did.

Original review: July 22, 2017

Just found out I'm having same issue with my 2006 Mercury Mariner as many other people with Mariners/Escapes. Inside the passenger side rear wheel well is all rusted out and the shock tower assembly is unstable due to rust.Three local shops would not touch it as it is a big job and safety issue including our local Ford dealership in Mishawaka. When I called Ford there is no bulletin on recall/fix. Have 105000 miles and keep my vehicles in excellent shape inside and out. Appears to me to be a undercoating or rustproofing issue. I guess enough people have to call or email Ford, (Go to Ford website) and they said if enough people complain they will look into. Looks like they addressed this issue with 2000-2004 models. I wish a class action lawsuit was started.

Original review: June 1, 2017

Rotting rear window hinge - Ford has had this problem for almost 15 years. Their inability to fix and in many cases even acknowledge it is criminal and they should have issued a safety recall. There are thousands of reviews of the same problem that they claim were not aware of and in the same breadth say it is not their problem. Well actually it is their problem because of their arrogance and inability to responsibly handle this issue I will never ever buy another Ford product. Seems that a class action lawsuit would be appropriate in this case.

Original review: May 22, 2017

As the widow of 33-year Ford employee, l have owned at least fifteen Fords. Never have I seen such a train wreck as my Escape. True, I live in a rust belt state, Michigan, but NONE of the 25/30 Fords we have purchased presented such pain. This is actually my second Escape, having purchased a 2009 first. This car in less than five years has multiple trust issues, but I was floored when the hinges holding the rear window shattered, exposing corrosion that was not visible until too late. $370 later, Ford tells me to basically suck it up. That is a pretty big surprise for someone on social security. Another one know of any class action suits in process? Sounds like that may be our only hope.

Original review: April 28, 2017

We own a 2013 Ford Escape and have had all warranty repair and service work done at Vancouver Ford in Vancouver WA. We Love Vancouver Ford, however recently after having the transmission rebuilt 50,000 miles ago, and the power train warranty being 100,000 miles, the Torque converter went out at 101,000. We asked for a good faith repair on the warranty and were told that Ford Motor called the dealer and offered assistance to us to repair the car. The local dealership said "yes", then Ford said they would get right back to them, the dealership told us and we have waited and waited, then Ford has refused to return the service manager’s phone calls and emails.

We called multiple times a week, while paying for a rental car daily, it is the end of 2 weeks going on a third now and after I cannot count the number of phone calls. I am told that someone did not upload a repair service order and therefore they are only offering 300, that doesn't even touch the rental car, left alone the 2200 before taxes repair bill, plus a 3 week rental car.

We own a 2013 Ford Escape, and talked our in-laws into a Ford Edge, and we’re in the process of debating the New Taurus or the Edge for a second car and now this. We will be rethinking about the way we have been strung along for 2-3 weeks racking up a rental car debt daily as we’re calling and the service manager is calling, and no one at Ford is returning even the service manager’s calls. I would not think twice if the vehicle had 110,000 or 120,000, but 101,000? I have to say we Love Vancouver Ford and the service department is topnotch, however someone has dropped the ball here somewhere and we’re paying for it. Very disappointed right now.

Original review: March 28, 2017

After reading the reviews on consumer affairs site we are suddenly not surprised by the issues with our 2014 Escape SE w/ EcoBoost 1.8 ltr. My wife informed me that the car was pulling to the right and was getting worse. On an afternoon drive down the highway I found that it was worse than I expected. Later, after a nice lunch I checked the air pressure and it was perfect. We took it to True Line and they diagnosed a radial pull and stated the alignment was good. They then crossed the front tires which resulted in a slight left pull. At only 18,000 miles with no hard driving this was a surprise to us. We took it to the dealership where it was purchased and after much debate they are now running their own check to determine the cause, hopefully.

The tires are badly worn and the car is handful to drive. So at best they have offered to split the cost of tires, but we are really hoping they find the cause. We also had tire hummus with the Ford Focus that we had that we traded this car in for. What the problem was never really fixed after changing tires a year later and still needed tires again and they insisted there was nothing wrong with the front end of their car.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2017

Bought a 2013 Ford new. Engine light came on at 4,000 no. Every 6K engine light would come on and I would take it in. 18K water pump replaced. Have had half dozen recalls, 2 pertaining to leaks in engine. Paint started bubbling on front bumper at 36,400. New transmission at 38K and engine replaced at 44K. So frustrated with Ford, I have been going round and round with Ford for the last 2 year. All they say is, "We are doing our job by doing the repairs, and at least it's under warranty!" At least I purchased the extended warranty! Took it in last week with 59,100 to have 60K service and do a quick check over to make sure all is okay. Got a call the turbocharger is leaking so they have to order a new one. And they called me again next day saying the new transmission they put in last year is leaking! I am beyond livid!!! Car has 800 mi left on warranty. I have no confidence in this car whatsoever! And Ford will not own up to these problems!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2017

2013 Ford Escape... Transmission is going out. Car has under 70K miles. Went to Ford and got estimate and got one for over $6,200.00. I still am paying for my car loan which is about the same amount. I went to 2 other transmission shops and because the car is so new they can't rebuild the trans since they won't be able to get parts. I called Ford, got case number, and their decision was that they cannot assist with lowering the cost even though they know about 2013 models that have defective transmissions. Since I bought the car used, Ford claims that I do not have ownership loyalty and cannot assist with cost of new transmission. I'm stuck and until I can save for another transmission, driving an unsafe car.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2016

I received a recall notification 14S05 from Ford about my 2008 Ford Escape. The recall was for a faulty torque sensor that could go out causing you to lose power steering while driving resulting in an accident. The recall stated the torque sensor would either be reprogrammed or replaced. Since ours had not yet failed or produced a service code the Ford service center just reprogramed it instead of replacing it. Just recently the torque sensor failed as expected and my power steering lost power while driving through a parking lot. I did not have the strength to turn the wheel and had to just stop and leave the car in the lot until someone could come help me. I brought my car back to the same dealership that performed the original recall repair and I am being told that the recall has been performed and now I must pay them to replace the torque sensor.

After spending time researching the issue online I discovered that this is a widespread problem and it is apparent that Ford is only replacing the sensors if they have already failed when you bring your car in for the recall. If it has not failed then Ford only does a reprogramming that doesn't prevent them from failing and just adds a chime and a dash light to warn you that it's failing as it's failing. That allows Ford to close out the recall on your vehicle and save money on a replacement part that is known and expected to fail as stated in the recall letter. I don't understand how this is legal for them to do. I talked to several of Ford's service managers and customer service representatives and they all give the standard rehearsed answer.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2016

I bought this car brand new in 2015. I like it. However my issue is with getting exhaust from other vehicles in my car. Does anyone else have this problem as the dealership is saying they've never heard of it. It was so bad the other day we had to open the windows to let it out. The car has less than 10,000 km on it. I am not driving under other cars bumper when this happens. I have had several cars some quite old and I've crossed Canada several times. I have never experienced this and it's awful.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2016

I bought this Escape new so now it's 17 years old. I've had so many problems with it that if they had occurred within the 1st year the state of Kansas would have Ford replace it as a lemon. Currently just over 70,000 and 3 exhaust, fuel pump, 3 transmission and all the recalls. Just wish these lemons would have some long term manufacture warranty. I understand not all have so many faults but those that has should be - well what can I say.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2016

I have read several reviews on SUV, Jeep Cherokee, Kia Sorento and Ford Escape all of them 1 star rating. We purchase a 2008 Ford Escape in 2010. Currently we have 135K miles on the vehicle. I cannot believe all the negative reviews, we have had 0 problems with this car. It's ran great and started every time. At this time we are looking to purchase another SUV due to the mileage and age of our Escape, not sure if I want to continue with the Escape. After reading all the reviews, it seems like all of them have problems. Any suggestion between the three models. Although we like the escape the other SUV offer a 6 cyl where the new escapes do carry the 6 cyl engine, which is a big factor for us and that's why we are looking at other brands.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2016

After recently purchasing an extended warranty for my 2014 Ford Escape, my vehicle when giving it gas at an intersection wouldn't move! It cut off and everyone began honking! I then coasted my car home. Paid $85 to tow it to G.P. Ford. Three days no replies to my calls. So I borrowed a car, went to dealership only to not get answers. I called the warranty ins and they had no coverage on my vehicle. I demanded an answer as to why and they waited 45 minutes, came back and said I'm covered. 3 days later tell me it's the engine $5400 and pre-existing so warranty won't pay. Still have no idea as to who made the decision. Remember I am not covered according to warranty office. Still no answer and I'm going into 3rd week with no car. Did my research only to find that others with same vehicle have the same problem. I demand Ford to have a recall before someone dies in an accident.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2016

At 25,000 miles we noticed bubbling along the interior seal at the base of the driver and passenger doors. We have owned the car less than a year, purchased at 15,000 miles from CarMax. Took it to a local repair place, would not touch it. Got busy, waited until car had 40k miles on it, took it to Ford, which declined stating no holes and too many miles for the 3 year, 36k miles warranty. Anybody else out there disgusted?

Original review: Nov. 14, 2016

I have 2 2012 Ford Escape that are rusting out in rear tire wells and rear deck hatch. Brought it up to Ford's attention, they said nothing they could do about it until they rust through. They are both still in warranty. They said I had to wait till they rusted completely through which will be after the warranty expires. There are a lot of other complaints out there. I bet if people took time to look we could get a recall going. I have always been a loyal Ford customer. I was in the market for another car. I will be looking at another make. I am done with Ford. If you look in consumer guide they do not have a good rating. Quality control people should be fired along with management selling inferior product.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2016

Bought a Ford Escape from CarMax 7 months ago, didn't notice backseat had some damage. Took three times to get it fixed, next tailgate wouldn't open or close. Took a week at CarMax to fix. Next car just stopped at busy intersection, had to towed to Ford dealer (car has @ 23,00 miles on it). Last night it stopped at the stop sign and wouldn't restart, had it towed back to Ford dealer. Miss my Camry. CarMax was no help, rental car they gave me the 2nd time had no spare and of course I got a flat in the rain and had to wait for the 1st tow truck. I'm on the 3rd tow truck with this car.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2016

My 2009 Ford Escape was being driven by my wife when the power/electric steering went out. I called the local Ford dealership which told me there was a recall for the issue and to bring it in. After bringing it to them, I received a call later telling me that my car was not included because it came from a different manufacturing location. Later, I was told that there was, in fact, a recall for my vehicle, but the window was closed on the recall. I was told it would cost me approximately $700 for the repair, including the $100 "diagnostic" fee.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2016

I purchased a used 2013 Ford Escape SEL with EcoBoost with 57K miles. Within 24 hours the axle broke. The dealership repaired it but I still was scared driving it. I got over it but within 2 months, it now stops running while driving it. It happened twice yesterday. I took it to be repaired and they can't find an error code and tried driving it and it appears fine. I was told to continue driving it and if it happens again to bring it back. $109 for nothing? No thank you. I told them there is a recall for the wiring harness and they told me mine is not under the warranty and that the harness is fine. I complained to Ford and was told to just take it in to be repaired. I'll never purchase another Ford. This car is crap and my previous Honda had no issues in the SEVENTEEN YEARS I drove it.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2016

In August I was involved in a wreck and had to obtain a rental vehicle. I was provided with a Ford Escape. Unfortunately, every time I put the brake on the car would stop, and then when I let off the brake it would start again. This resulted in gas fumes coming back into the car making me nauseated, giving me a headache, and making me very sleepy. At first I thought, "Okay, they're trying to save gas," but I think it takes more to start a car than it does to keep it idling at a light.

Since it was affecting my health and I was concerned about passing out behind the wheel, I returned it to the rental agency. Naturally, being a woman, they laughed at me behind my back and do all these other men, and there were customers and begin laughing too. They went outside to test it and because of the gas to use the road with all the windows down on the way back, and didn't turn the AC on, so there were no gas fumes in the car at that time. Both the manager of the rental place and his sales associate said it was normal for a Ford Escape to do that. I'm here to tell you it's not normal. Headaches, nausea, sleepiness, and above all gas fumes coming back into the cabin is not normal. That's just how stupid they were.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2016

Great traction until it was 8 yrs old. We noticed the tranny not going into gear around 3 and 4. My husband would reset the cables to the battery to reset the computer. Worked briefly. The my wheels locked up and I went in a ditch on my side. I had no traction at all. I had the car looked at and they said the transmission was doing violent things. 2 weeks later it blew. Got rid of it. Really ticked me off. $23,000 later. Now only buy Chevys.

Ford Escape Company Information