3.51/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Ford Escape

The Ford Escape is a crossover SUV with fold-down seats and plenty of cargo storage space. Read more Ford reviews to learn about other models.

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

426 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

I bought a 2019 Ford Escape 6 months ago. The check engine light came on and the dealership said the codes were Misfires cylinder 1 and 2. They said coolant was leaking in the engine and I needed a new head gasket. I'm so upset that I bought a brand new car and now this. If I want to trade it in I will never get what I should be able to get for the trade. Now I feel stuck with a unreliable brand new car and this just seems so unfair. Why do I have to be stuck with this now?

Original review: Sept. 14, 2019

I bought a brand new 2017 Ford Escape SE. There are less than 42,000 kms on it and it has had all required maintenance done by Ford. In June 2019 I brought it to Ford due to it overheating. They found nothing wrong. I wasn’t satisfied, so they put it on a machine and still found nothing wrong. I had it checked a third time! A manager actually told me that it was fine, and when asked if I’d break down, he said no. Guess what? I broke down. The engine blew! It took a month to get the engine replaced but I have since learned there are several issues such as this with the Escapes! I feel vulnerable driving it. It is unsafe, unreliable and Ford needs to step up and take care of customers. They are selling inferior vehicles at a very high price. They need to stand behind their product by doing right by consumers. I am pursuing this issue with Ford and if I’m not satisfied, I will pursue legal action. Anyone want to join me?

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

I bought my Escape last year brand new, less than 30 miles on it. The check engine light came on and I took it to a repair shop. They said there was a blown gasket and leaking coolant and to take it to the dealership since it’s under warranty and less than 2 yrs old. It’s been in the shop for 39 days and I’ve been told that cylinder #2 had a blown gasket that is leaking coolant and will need a new engine?!? This is obviously a Ford issue since it seems to be a problem with quite a few but no recall. The dealership is claiming they aren’t able to get the parts from Ford and my Escape will continue to sit there until someone figures out what to do. This is my 2nd Escape and I love the vehicle but Ford has let me down big time. I’m continuing to make payments on a vehicle that I have no idea when I will get it back or when it will be fixed. Major fail on Ford's part!!!!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

I bought a Ford Escape 2015 brand new from the dealer and in a year my radio stop working, they have upgraded software and all good but again after 3 years it was stop working. Now they said it's not under warranty so have to pay $1,100 to fix it. Even within year it has issue. After a year nuts for the wheels were damage and I have been told it's not part of warranted so end up paying $200 plus. Steeling were peeling but it was within 2 years from the time of purchase so it was fixed and cover. I strongly feel they need to make better vehicle and improve customer services. My friend bought a Toyota Rave 4 and paid $3,000 more at the same date I bought. No issue. Better spend your money wisely as vehicle is few hundred dollar involvements.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

We had a 2013 that had issues that we couldn't figure out. Wouldn't start. Wouldn't hold a charge. No one could figure it out. We ended up getting into a 2016 Ford Escape, but we were exceptionally reluctant. About 2-3 weeks ago, the exact same issues began. Seriously. We have to keep jump-starting our car. We reached out and were ignored after leaving several voicemails for the dealership. Finally, we reached them and they said it was a common issue but they couldn't get us in for THREE WEEKS.

So we are just stuck waiting for them to troubleshoot. But we are confident this is a larger issue than the battery. Ironically enough, 2 other neighbors are driving Ford vehicles (one an Escape, another a Lincoln) and the Escape owner traded in for same issues and the Lincoln is in the shop for... THE SAME ISSUES. This is absolute fraud of this company. Do NOT get a Escape. And, quite frankly, I wouldn't recommend a Ford. I don't know how they're ranked so high on this site because most of the recent ones are exceptionally bad.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ford Escape?

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

Leased a 2018 Ford Escape because I wanted a dependable vehicle as my job requires lots of driving. Check engine light went on. Brought it to AutoZone thinking it might be something minor. The code that came up was P0302-indicating the cylinder 2 had too many misfires . Was told to take it right to the dealership as the car only had 32000 miles. The service guy was not surprised and told me it might need a new engine. They would check it out???? Called the next day said it would take 2 months to get an engine, they topped off the coolant and I was good to go. I was speechless. He told me my car is drivable and Ford will not pay for a rental. Less than 24 hours my car stalled out and had to have it towed to dealership.

It happened to be a Saturday and they had no rentals and no one seemed to care. The dealerships are only worried about making the sale but obviously not about keeping a customer. Went back today. No one knew my car was towed in. Guy in the shop told me he had 29 Escapes just like mine in his lot.. Ford is keeping this issue quiet.. I feel bad for innocent people not knowing what they are getting into. Talked to a leasing agent to get out of it and all he wanted to do is get me in a new Escape. I told him I will never buy a Ford again. He said I need to work something out with Ford credit. My lease is up in December.

Original review: July 25, 2019

I have 2014 Ford Escape Sport 1.6 liter. 60957 miles transmission trashed. No reason, day to day driving maybe a short trip or 2 to California from Phoenix since 2016 when I bought it used with 34000 miles. TCC code P0741 turns out to be burnt fluid and new trans rebuild 4500 dollars. 7000 for new one. Advise after speaking with multiple mechanics and transmission specialist. Ford Escape does this consistently right at at the 60000 mark. Thank you ford for sticking it to consumer. Good job. Never buy a ford again. Going back to Asian cars. They are at least honest.

Original review: July 12, 2019

Bought a Ford Escape, 2.0L EcoBoost, with 33000 in July of 2018. Drove it 8000 mi last year and took it in for scheduled maintenance. At 41000 mi, need new motor due to head gasket blown. Widespread issue.

Original review: July 2, 2019

I have been a Ford customer all of my driving life - 40 yrs. This car has taken my trust out of relying on Ford in general. First, my A.C. went out JUST past warranty at 39M miles. The cost out of pocket was going to be about $2700 to fix. Called Ford and they would not help - said there was not program right now to fix this. I was then informed that this is a common problem with this car from the dealership - but no recall has been made. From reading other reviews - others have had the same issue.

Fast forward - my car is in the shop right now being fixed as the coolant has been leaking in the engine and requires a new engine. White smoke was billowing from my exhaust - which from other reviews others have had this same exact problem. Again, no recall. I have 53M miles on my car now, which is just under the warranty time - so Ford gets to pay for this one. I am now concerned as I read these reviews that my transmission may be going as I have had some weird jerking when shifts gears. It seems that the parts are made to go out right after all warranties are up. This is sad and has left a bad taste in my mouth to ever purchase another Ford. Too bad because I really liked the Escape. Drives well and loves the highway - just poorly made and too expensive to keep...

Original review: April 30, 2019

In January of 2018 my husband and I bought our first new vehicle. We bought a 2018 Escape SE EcoBoost. Within less than a year the covering fell off of the bottom of the car and had to be replaced. We have now had the car for about 15 months and it is now in the shop with antifreeze in the cylinder. I am very upset and now worried about what else will happen with this car. We are paying all this money to have a new car with motor problems. You buy new so you don't have to worry about these things. I am just devastated by this. I do like the sunroof, the easy button trunk opener. I like having Sirius radio and heated seats but all that means nothing if you can't depend on driving your car from home to work when it only has 30,000 miles on it. Now I'm worried about what's going to happen when my warranty runs out!!

Ford Escape Company Information