1.48/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 20, 2018

367 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 20, 2018

In short Ford motor does not take ownership of metal fatigue in wheel wells and dealership (Arlington Ford) admits there is a problem, but does not want to fix it, they say it's a Ford company issue. Customer Service (case # **) throws up the hands and says it's my responsibility to fix it. Look online and see the number of 2011/12 having metal layers separating.

Purchased a 2012 Ford Escape (new) along with a 72 mo/75K mile extended warranty. This car is and always has been meticulously maintained: Washed and waxed regularly, serviced. I have almost 54,000 miles on it and just noticed rust on it about 2 months ago, also that the paint on the driver side rear fender is starting to bubble. I looked in the wheel well and it is completely warped and rusted on outside edge, right up to the paint. There are 2 pieces of metal come to together to form a seam there, and when I put my hand up there, I can feel that the seam is open and the upper layer is torn in multiple places. I looked over at the passenger rear wheel well and it is not as bad, but is starting to warp and rust. The front 2 seem fine.

I immediately took it to the dealership. One of the managers at the desk looked at it and said this is a known problem and design change in 2011 and 2012. He said my warranty will not cover the cost to fix it and the standard 60 mo/unlimited mile Perforation Warranty will only cover it if there is a hole. He told me to contact Ford Motor Company directly. There is nothing they can do. So basically, if a hole doesn't appear the warranty is not, I'm on my own. I took it to my body shop and they said that their patch kit made to repair this issue for the driver side and passenger side. Cost of $1500 per side. They can spray some rust proofing protector up inside to try to prevent any further damage.

I had the spray done when I bought the car, but they said the same thing, it must have a hole. And have no guarantee. I wasn't going to give up on this car until now. I am very upset and angry as I had just finished paying it off last Fall. $30K. I am done with Ford and done with dumping money into cars that rust after having 5 Ford cars that rusted. I figured they would have figured out by now. 5-year old cars shouldn't rust out. I think the only thing I can do is fix the rust and trade it in as soon as possible before something else rusts through or falls apart. It will not be another Ford. Looking online I see this is a North American issue on Ford Vehicles. Canada government got after Ford to fix it.

Original review: April 16, 2018

Went and bought a new 2018 Ford Escape because I have owned older models and liked the ride quality as well as the small SUV aspect. This was my first new car purchase and the Escape now has less than 700 miles on it and the transmission has crapped out... 700 miles not 7000... Let that sink in. The dealer has been nothing but helpful but they've had it for almost a week and still have no idea what is wrong with it, meanwhile I'm driving a car that's a complete pain to get in and out of because of my size. Not a good first time new car experience, maybe I should have paid a little more and got something different. Now I'm going to have to pay on a car I can't drive and have only possessed for a week. Not cool at all.

Get the news you need delivered right to you!

Join over 300,000 subscribers and receive the latest expert advice, consumer news, and recall notices in your inbox.

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: March 16, 2018

Purchased A 2013 Ford Escape in October 2017 and it was the worst purchase I ever made. The car shudders while driving at speeds of 55 mph and over. When brake is tapped it stops shuddering and will not even go into overdrive. Took it back to Ford about 5 times and they could not find anything when they drove it. I am scared to even take the car out of town. I complained to the manager and he told me in so many words "You did not buy a new vehicle". I am so frustrated I don't know what to do. Now I am stuck with a car payment and can't get the dealer or the Ford Company to help.

Original review: March 7, 2018

Don't buy from Ford--they don't back up their product. My 2013 Ford Escape's transmission blew after only 80k miles. The Ford service manager said it shouldn't have happened with such low mileage and must have been a faulty transmission. He said to call Ford. I spoke with every level of management up to the executive office and emailed William Ford, Jr, the chairman. The only response I got was no apology and that I should have bought an extended warranty. I am out $5k using their service center because of Ford's mistake and they will not assist at all. I will NEVER buy another Ford and I am appalled at their poor business practice.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

Much like the other reviewers my 2017 Ford escape has been issue after issue. A few months after purchasing my vehicle brand new the left brake system went faulty and failed while driving on the freeway with my son. It was metal on metal and extremely scary and with no explanation from Ford as to why this happened. Then in November of 2017 the engine blew while driving on the freeway again with my young son as a passenger again with no explanation as to why. Ford did replace the brakes and engine. However I have had the vehicle back in the shop due to the check engine light coming back on and the engine makes a funny sound now and the car drives horribly.

I dropped my vehicle off two days ago with the promise of a loaner which is under my warranty and was shuttled to work and left with no vehicle the entire day. I had to leave work early to be shuttled to an Enterprise and pay the rental fee and insurance. It has been two days now with no diagnosis to what is wrong with my engine except that there is something wrong and it could be Tuesday until I hear anything. I have already been without my new vehicle for over a month's time due to all these repairs and had to make numerous trips and schedule rental cars. Not only do I know I was sold a lemon but I am also so upset with Ford's lack of customer service or any concern. If I could I would give negative stars!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ford?

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

Since March 2016 I have had nothing but issues with my SUV (2016 Ford Escape SL). Starting with breaks squealing (they told me it's normal). No heat and lights on dash would not shut off. I have bought a Lemon brand new and Ford does not take anything serious to stand behind there brand. Their customer service at Freedom Ford is lacking as well, they offered no shuttle service for me to get home and had to take a cab.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I wish I had read this before I bought it - so many things I read I have had similar issues. :( Today I went to get something out of back seat and there is a leak behind passenger seat coming from the light (was a heavy rain). When I look online so many people have same issue but nobody really had a suggestion for me.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

I wish I could give zero stars. I had my Escape into Ford several times. Every time there would be something they couldn’t fix but 12 other things they would see wrong. Well last January my car kept dying. So much that I had to have a portable jumper with me at all times. Everywhere I went. I had changed the battery and checked the alternator. No problems there. The car continued to die. I brought it in and Ford kept it for two days and couldn’t figure out why this was happening. They couldn’t fix it and when I went to pick it up they handed me a 1000 dollar bill.

I refused to pay it since they did nothing. I offered to pay them 200 but they said I had to pay. I blasted them on Facebook. All of a sudden my car was free - still not fixed. I went to a friend who had just starting working as a mechanic. He found the problem in 3 min and fixed it for 100 total. Fast forward to January 2018. I was rear ended and had a flat tire. When my husband came to fix it the spare was dry rotted. Ford was literally across the street and even though I didn’t want to I had to take it there. I wasn’t sure how far my car would’ve made it to.

The bad spare. When I got there I find out that they put me on a do not service list and won’t change my tire because I blasted them on Facebook. I’m not making this next part up. They put me in a little room for “bad customers”. It wasn’t the waiting area. This was a room where I sat all by myself and they came in and proceeded to yell at me. I told them to look at themselves and said, "Why wouldn’t I blast you? Look at what you're doing?" They made me borrow a car from a friend and wouldn’t change the tire for 2 days. Don’t buy a Ford. They will make everything difficult. Worst company around.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

On January 1, 2018, I drove to church in my 2014 Ford Escape. The church is a mile away from my house. Upon entering the church parking lot, my Ford Escape filled with smoke, and there was a burning odor. I was able to exit my car, only to see flames coming out of the hood of the car. There also was a fire under my car. As I ran into the church the car was fully engulfed in flames. Several loud booms were heard and the car literally exploded. Fire and police were called to put out the fire. On January 12, 2018, I received a recall from Ford, stating my car could catch on fire, due to a coolant problem. The recall was 12 days too late. I have not been able to get any type of help from Ford with this problem. I am at a loss as to what I can do. I am out to $25,000 due to this unfair situation. I will never buy a Ford again. This has caused much pain and suffering. I am reaching out for help from anyone who has any suggestions in this situation. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

I purchased new 2017 Ford Escape SE only a few months ago. Now at 1,500 miles. For the past three weeks, the low tire pressure light comes on, and at the same time, I began smelling burning odor coming from rear back tires (also very hot), from riding only a mile or so. Also noticed rust inside the wheel (tire well). It looks like paint spilled. I called today and Al Packer Ford WPB, FL (where purchased), is booked but say they will take a look at it, but very busy. They have no clue. It cannot be the brakes already with less than 1,500 miles.

After reading many bad reviews on this site regarding the same issue, not sure I will keep this car. It looks pretty on the outside, but I am not one for high maintenance cars. It is an all-day affair waiting to get them to look at it. Also, the car is not comfortable on long trips. The seats do not have the tilt expansion like the Ford Explorer I had previously. Will see what they say. At this point, this is too soon to have maintenance issues. A single female senior. It sounds as though this will be problematic and ongoing.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

I have a 2013 Ford Escape. I started noticing paint bubbling on the hatch when I lifted it at 37000 miles. I looked at the warranty and was relieved to see it was still covered to 50000miles. So I made appointment and took it in for service and have bubbling fixed the next week. Well, come to find out they only cover it if there is a rust HOLE!!!! I could not believe with just 1000 miles over they would not fix it, but they wouldn’t. I even went to corporate and no help. Now the car at 59000 miles is rusting at the hatchback and the bottom of all the doors. For a car that is 4 years old, it is embarrassing!!!! Mind you I live in Nashville, Tn where we rarely get any snow that requires salt. My battery died this week (4yrs old, my 2008 Dodge truck still has its original battery). It’s jerking into gear when you give it gas. Oh and I make my last payment in April.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I had a 2012 Ford Escape that I had good luck with. Unfortunately I was rear-ended by a girl texting and the car was totaled. I got a replacement in a similar model with far less miles on it than I had on the other one. Almost immediately I started having A/C problems. The seller of the car helped the first time it went out but not the second and third time the A/C went out. It cost me over $1,000 to get it fixed - and a similar amount for the seller of the car the first time it was "fixed". The vehicle was finally seemingly fixed but after less than a year it has gone out again. Apparently if you get one of these lemons it is impossible to keep the A/C fixed. I went online only to find that hundreds of people have had the same problems - and Ford will not do a damn thing about it. They have continued building these cars and selling them - knowing that the A/C was going to fail. Anyone want to join in a class action lawsuit? These vehicles evidently are horrible!

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

My 2012 Ford Escape is already developing rust on the left rear quarter panel. I have observed many others of similar model and vintage experiencing the same condition. This is unacceptable for a five year old car with only 36,000 miles. I contacted a Ford dealer as well as Ford Motor Company and their response was basically "too bad, you lose". This car is junk - I will never buy a Ford product again. A class action suit is warranted.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2017

In April 2016 I purchased a 2014 Ford Escape with 30k miles on it. I needed a reliable vehicle for my family, I was tired of breaking down and having to fix older vehicles. Everything was ok at first. In mid October 2017 (50k miles) the heat stopped working, check engine light came on, then it started overheating. Do research and find out there was a recall on coolant leaking and the engine catching fire. The resolution and parts were not available at that time. So I bring it to the Ford dealership. At first they wanted me to pay $600. I said "No, don't fix it. I will wait for the remedy to come out." Finally someone submitted my request to Ford. They had my car for 4 days (1 day rental car) and I ended up paying a $100 deductible. Everything was ok.

Now a month later November 18th 2017 I'm driving on the highway and the car starts revving high and slowing down so I pull over to the shoulder (kids are freaking out). I put it in park then try to drive and it won't move. I turn it off, wait a couple minutes and it moves a few feet then starts revving high and not wanting to go. I wanted to make it to safe place (1/2 mile away). So every few feet I was shutting off the car and going a short distance. At one point I was stuck in the middle of a 4 lane highway.

I finally made it to a parking lot and had to have someone pick up me and my family. Now my car is parked in this parking lot, transmission done. It's Sunday so Ford dealer is closed. I have to call tomorrow and hopefully I can get the transmission fixed. I'm at 53k miles, the powertrain warranty is 5yr/60k miles. I'm a single mom of 2 kids who works full time. I'm writing this review in case someone is considering a 2014 Ford Escape. I would not recommend this vehicle, I wish someone would've warned me. The entire reason I bought this car is for reliability. Boy was I wrong. I will never purchase another Ford.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

My 2009 Ford Escape limited dies about after an hr driving time. Nothing shows up on the diagnostic test Ford ran. After it cools off, it runs again. I had no problems prior to this past April. I took it in for an oil change, went for gas (attendant kept filling past the stop point) and car wash. It stalled out after this. Took it back to Ford. They said diagnostic showed it needed a module. I paid $400+ and it kept stalling. Fuel pump works. Have a friend with same vehicle. Same problem. She got her a steering column replaced and battery. It's still stalling. Don't wait for someone and their family to get hurt or worse. RECALL IT. YOUR MISTAKE IS CAUSING A LOT OF US PROBLEMS AND MONEY.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

2014 ford escape bad transmission at 70k mls - Never ever will I buy a Ford again. On February 9, 2017, I purchased a used but like new 2014 Ford Escape from Westcott Mazda located in National City. I was advised by the Salesperson that an inspection was needed on the car so they kept the car an additional 4-5 days after I brought it. I was advised that this would be a detailed inspection to ensure the car was safe/had no issues. I finally received the car and it ran like a dream until 09/22/2017. The transmission is bad, battery done abs issues and I'm stuck with a 15000 loan on a car that need almost 7000 in repairs. I was assured that this car was in excellent condition as the dealership kept the car in additional 4-5 days for a detailed inspection so I was under the impression all was great with this car but to my surprised it was. Ford cars are not safe and should be avoided at all cost.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

Extremely disappointed with Ford quality. Won't buy a Ford again. No way that a rear differential should be worn out after only 4 years/80k miles. Was not very happy about many aspects of the car to begin with (cheap leather interior, incredibly bad placement of interior lighting, interior too cramped...) But I bought it because I'd had such a great experience with my 2002 Ford Escape, and I was ok with the mileage trade-off involved in getting a 4WD. Never again.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

Our family has had Fords for 50 years. I retired a year and a half ago so I bought a brand new 2013 Ford Escape thinking it would last me for at least 10 years. At 24,000 miles I noticed rust on the inside edge of the driver's door. The car was not driven during the winter very much. I took it to Paquin Motors in St. Albans, VT and they said there was a defect in some vehicle parts as the manufacturer did not put a good seal around the door. They called Ford and they said they needed a picture.

A couple of months later, Paquin said they would fix it in good faith. Well now a year later the rust is back where they fixed it plus all around the inside of the door. Also, starting to rust on the door on the back is showing some rust. I took my car to a well known body shop and he said he would not touch this door as it will not do any good to try to fix it as it is a defect. He said I will be having serious problems with this door. The factory should replace the whole door. I went back to Paquin's and they said Ford will not do a thing for me. I have entered the serial # 1FMCU9GX5DUD14214 as I do not have the order number at this moment. If needed, I will get it.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

My 3 month old 2017 Ford Escape, suddenly completely shut the engine off when I braked. I had to put it in park and restart manually. The first time I thought I had done something wrong. However when I started it again and left work, after turning onto the roadway it happened again. Very scary. It had to be towed to the dealer and they are trying to resolve the problem but I am feeling very unsafe about ever driving this car again.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

My 2014 Ford Escape problems started with the air conditioner stopping and had to turn off and back on to get to work. The EcoBoost sensor went out and check engine light came on. After getting the fixed now this is the 3rd time had in for transmission. Default transmission service soon comes on. Was told it was a modular valve. Over $900.00 later still getting the same light coming on. I should have know when a/c started it was going to be trouble. Now at 65k miles and 3 years old it will be nothing but trouble I feel. Do yourself a favor and save the headaches. Buy something else. Just waiting to hear from dealer and try not to lose faith in this car.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

Although I've rented Ford before and found a car I like, I never thought I would actually purchase one. I've had my Escape 2002 for 3 years now, and initially had to put work in it to make it run efficiently, but none of it has been major work yet. The worst part are the sensors that seem to go off at any tiny change, or when the problem is fixed, the sensor still has to be adjusted. I checked the previous owner who kept it up religiously until he sold it. Because of the high mileage on this car (close to 200k), soon I will replace it with another car. I'm sure it won't be a new Escape because of the expense. But I will miss it. I try to take good care of it, like its original owner, who I also believe got rid of it for its high mileage and costly repairs. Otherwise it's a truly enjoyable car.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

We bought a 2014 Ford Escape SE Eco Boost 1.6 a year and half ago. We have had overheating problems. Got that fixed (over 200.00) last summer and it's doing the same thing again. Upon driving this weekend the transmission went out. I called the dealer to see if they would put me in something else or fix it and of course they won't do anything. I will NEVER buy another Ford especially an Escape. This car has cost me more money and headache than any car I have ever owned!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

I have been unable to get my new 2017 Ford Escape fixed since I purchased it in June, 2017. The problem with the car is that the driver's seat is not level, i.e., it slopes towards the car door. I have a bad back and cannot have a crooked seat, nor should I have to in a new car. The Ford dealer's service dept. has told me that they have replaced the seat cushion and the rail, but the seat is still not level. They said that there is nothing else that they can do. I called Ford for assistance and their customer service representative told me that if the dealer has worked with the Ford engineers, "then that is your answer from the Ford Motor Company." I guess that the Ford Motor Company is OK with selling defective cars.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

I have had my 2014 Escape since new and had all oil changes and checkups done at the Ford Dealership where I purchased it. Now the Rear Differential is shot and I have to get it fixed. Major cost!!! When my mechanic called to order the part... it was on back order. How many are having the same issue if it is on back order? I have always bought Ford, but my daughter in law bought a Focus at the same time I got the Escape and she had continual transmission problems. This is the LAST Ford I will buy. They are definitely not building the products they once did.

Original review: July 22, 2017

Just found out I'm having same issue with my 2006 Mercury Mariner as many other people with Mariners/Escapes. Inside the passenger side rear wheel well is all rusted out and the shock tower assembly is unstable due to rust.Three local shops would not touch it as it is a big job and safety issue including our local Ford dealership in Mishawaka. When I called Ford there is no bulletin on recall/fix. Have 105000 miles and keep my vehicles in excellent shape inside and out. Appears to me to be a undercoating or rustproofing issue. I guess enough people have to call or email Ford, (Go to Ford website) and they said if enough people complain they will look into. Looks like they addressed this issue with 2000-2004 models. I wish a class action lawsuit was started.

Original review: June 22, 2017

I have only owned Ford vehicles but that's about to change. They never have time or parts to do recalls first of all. Second I drove my 2014 Ford Escape from Colorado down to Texas and my ac goes out which I can't have both my husband and I with our infant in a car hot sweating in a car that's only blowing hot air. Try everything ourselves to fix the problem since none of the dealerships can see us and all the other car shops said they didn't know and I had to take it to the dealership... So lucky my husband ttys everything fuses, air filter and it turns back on. We drive back to Colorado and the next day turns off again so we take it to the dealership... Guy tells me he will let me know before the end of the day... Never calls so I call a minute before they close because now I have to get a rental car and still nothing heard on my vehicle.

Next day I come in to get papers I need out of my car and they take forever to bring it around. Well my battery died and they had to jumpstart my car and I walked to my car by myself. Nobody walked with me. No one said what happened. No one helped me but I played with the a.c. and it worked again. Told the guy it worked after they jump started my car, he didn't do anything. I asked him repeatedly if they could check my battery and he said its the hvac and its going to be 500+ labor and tool fees. I still wanted my battery checked.

Next day got a call saying I could pick up my car. Its working now. Get there and picked up my vehicle. Asked about the battery and they said it was perfectly fine and nothing was wrong with it. Saw and took pics and video of how they left my car dirty and dusty and didn't check the top module because it was frozen on a time and date and temp... But I paid. They said they would pay for the two days of rental but its been almost a month now and still haven't gotten our money back.

Then a week later I'm stranded with a dead battery. No ac again. Called ford to give us a jumpstart because I had my family my infant with me and took it back to ford to do more test. They said the same thing that it was good then came back said it wasn't good so paid for a new battery and now a few days later I have no ac again and I leave back home to Texas in 2 days. Had to buy fans to use for the car so my infant won't over heat. Read a lot of reviews about the hvac not working!!! Ford!!! You should have a recall and actually fix the problem because I don't want my family to suffer of heat strokes from a faulty ac hvac module... I already paid for my services so I deserve to have the service I paid for. They even asked after saying they couldn't do the recall that they did it after I had signed and I had told them not to because I did not trust that dealership.

Original review: June 1, 2017

Rotting rear window hinge - Ford has had this problem for almost 15 years. Their inability to fix and in many cases even acknowledge it is criminal and they should have issued a safety recall. There are thousands of reviews of the same problem that they claim were not aware of and in the same breadth say it is not their problem. Well actually it is their problem because of their arrogance and inability to responsibly handle this issue I will never ever buy another Ford product. Seems that a class action lawsuit would be appropriate in this case.

Original review: May 22, 2017

As the widow of 33-year Ford employee, l have owned at least fifteen Fords. Never have I seen such a train wreck as my 2011 Escape. True, I live in a rust belt state, Michigan, but NONE of the 25/30 Fords we have purchased presented such pain. This is actually my second Escape, having purchased a 2009 first. This car in less than five years has multiple trust issues, but I was floored when the hinges holding the rear window shattered, exposing corrosion that was not visible until too late. $370 later, Ford tells me to basically suck it up. That is a pretty big surprise for someone on social security. Another one know of any class action suits in process? Sounds like that may be our only hope.

Original review: April 28, 2017

We own a 2013 Ford Escape and have had all warranty repair and service work done at Vancouver Ford in Vancouver WA. We Love Vancouver Ford, however recently after having the transmission rebuilt 50,000 miles ago, and the power train warranty being 100,000 miles, the Torque converter went out at 101,000. We asked for a good faith repair on the warranty and were told that Ford Motor called the dealer and offered assistance to us to repair the car. The local dealership said "yes", then Ford said they would get right back to them, the dealership told us and we have waited and waited, then Ford has refused to return the service manager’s phone calls and emails.

We called multiple times a week, while paying for a rental car daily, it is the end of 2 weeks going on a third now and after I cannot count the number of phone calls. I am told that someone did not upload a repair service order and therefore they are only offering 300, that doesn't even touch the rental car, left alone the 2200 before taxes repair bill, plus a 3 week rental car.

We own a 2013 Ford Escape, and talked our in-laws into a Ford Edge, and we’re in the process of debating the New Taurus or the Edge for a second car and now this. We will be rethinking about the way we have been strung along for 2-3 weeks racking up a rental car debt daily as we’re calling and the service manager is calling, and no one at Ford is returning even the service manager’s calls. I would not think twice if the vehicle had 110,000 or 120,000, but 101,000? I have to say we Love Vancouver Ford and the service department is topnotch, however someone has dropped the ball here somewhere and we’re paying for it. Very disappointed right now.

Original review: March 28, 2017

After reading the reviews on consumer affairs site we are suddenly not surprised by the issues with our 2014 Escape SE w/ EcoBoost 1.8 ltr. My wife informed me that the car was pulling to the right and was getting worse. On an afternoon drive down the highway I found that it was worse than I expected. Later, after a nice lunch I checked the air pressure and it was perfect. We took it to True Line and they diagnosed a radial pull and stated the alignment was good. They then crossed the front tires which resulted in a slight left pull. At only 18,000 miles with no hard driving this was a surprise to us. We took it to the dealership where it was purchased and after much debate they are now running their own check to determine the cause, hopefully.

The tires are badly worn and the car is handful to drive. So at best they have offered to split the cost of tires, but we are really hoping they find the cause. We also had tire hummus with the Ford Focus that we had that we traded this car in for. What the problem was never really fixed after changing tires a year later and still needed tires again and they insisted there was nothing wrong with the front end of their car.

Ford Escape Company Information