Get peace of Mind

Be comforted knowing that your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend My Warranty
2.10/5

Ford Explorer

The Ford Explorer has been a popular SUV since it debuted in 1991. Read more Ford reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of Mind

Be comforted knowing that your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend My Warranty

210 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I have a 2016 Ford Explorer. I bought this vehicle new. It was a lease. After 30 months the steering rack completely locks up. I was over on the miles by a few thousand. Ford refused to fix at their cost so I had to pay. I did some research and found this is common on a lot of Fords. Should be recalled but Ford refused to cover or repair their faulty part that was junk from day one. If you buy a vehicle with power asst electronic steering think before you buy. It may cost you 1900$ like it did me. Ford won’t stand behind their junk parts. I will never by a Ford.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

This is the second time to bring our Ford Explorer platinum edition in for repair. It has only 20,000 miles on it. The first time was due to it not starting sometimes. We had the battery check and the place we were at checked the error codes. There were a few. One was the voltage regulator failed. I dont recall the rest. We took it to Ford and they told us there was corrosion in the battery and everything was fine. They did not do anything to the voltage regulator. There was a recall due to carbon monoxide leaking into the cabin.

Two weeks later and we are back. The car barley starts. The mirrors wont fold back out and the car reports that the driver assist has failed. Since we have had this car my wife has been having headaches and suffering from fatigue. We now have to get a carbon monoxide detector for the car so she will be alerted if it is at dangerous levels. My wife loves Fords. I have had Hondas all my life and have never had to bring one in for repair. Ford seems to have issues that they dont want to address. Likely due to the amount of cars they would have to repair.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

We own a 2016 Ford Explorer Sport and it has 60K miles on it. We have liked the car until recently we had a rubbing sound coming from wheel. We took it into dealer to find out that it had a front wheel bearing worn out and just for added information, the other one was bad also so we replaced both at at cost of $1100. A month later, similar situation with rear and same result. Now we are out $2000+ dollars for wheel bearings on a car not even 3 years old and less than 70K miles.

I have filed complaints to Ford who refuses to acknowledge it was either a bad bearing, poor installation or poor design and therefore shares NONE of the expenses. I have owned GM, Fords, Toyota, Nissan and Jeep and never had this work done on some vehicles approaching 200K miles. Now it takes 4 on a relatively newer car? Will be my last Ford for sure. I also wrote a letter to every one of Fords Board of Directors and took my case to Gary Crossley Ford in Liberty, MO who performed the repairs. The end result is a lot of finger pointing and NO one taking responsibility. DON'T BUY a FORD and not from Crossley.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

2011 Ford Explorer. 170,000 miles. Transmission issue, approx $2,000.00. 2 wiring harnesses, over $700.00 each. Multiple issues with Sync system. Small leak near back end, in for repairs twice, still leaks. 4 AC compressors, $500-$800 each repair. Obviously a problem. Ford would do nothing. Will never own another Ford. Overseas competition is not the problem! Bad product with no management accountability. Too bad for the Ford workers and Service operations.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

I have always owned a Ford but this 2018 Explorer has serious issues and Ford Motor has stopped communicating with me. Battlefield Ford in MANASSAS, DE wouldn't return my calls from day one. I was driving it home with less than 70 miles on the vehicle and they wouldn't address my issues. Beach for in Virginia Beach, VA had my vehicle for 1.5 weeks and never did the repair because FORD TECHNICAL decided not to even though they offered the repairs as a possible solution. So here is my laundry list for the 2018 Explorer: The tires on 2015-2018 Explorers have been on a recall from Hankook. Crash alert goes off even when nobody is in front of you. Front sensors don't always work. Bliss didn't work with a vehicle on my rear quarter panel, Volume will go to max volume on its own.

Wipers go on when there is no moisture. Tailgate doesn't open the first few times of swiping your hand under the sensor. Toxic smell; maybe off-gassing. So bad we were sick and threats and eyes were burning. Several weeks. A/C wouldn't work on the first day. Max defrost only comes on at 80 degrees. Slight wobble with the acceleration. Driver lane assist will leave the dashboard and show up several days later. I have a ton of intermittent electrical problems that Ford Motor will not cover. I have an extended warranty as well. I have submitted 4 videos of the faulty equipment and they still tell me they won't fix it. We have a 2017 F250 diesel and are having issues with the starter...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ford Explorer?

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I am writing this review in order to give a little update about our 2017 Ford Explorer that we purchased new from Larry H Miller Ford Provo Utah on December 18th 2017. Ford has declared it a Lemon. Today they made us an offer. Which is 41% less than what we have invested into it. The offer reflects an over $3800 loss to us. That is absolutely ridiculous. 12 months, 9300 miles. How can Ford possibly think I would accept that. I could have rented a car for less. They refuse to change the offer and tell me that I have 3 days or the offer/claim will be closed. The car has been in the shop over 6 weeks in total, with 24 pages of warranty work. It continues to have problems. The dealership replaced the roof racks again and they are coming off already. Now I think the sixth time. I will never recommend a Ford product to anyone!

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

A newly purchased 2016 Explorer XLT. At 29,000 miles, the transmission quit shifting while driving on a busy road. I was towed and the transmission was rebuilt at Baierl Ford. The car now shifts very rough, clunks between 2nd and third and between 5th and 6th and often on the same downshift. The mechanic drove with me a short distance and heard the bad shift on the downshift saying it was normal... I drove a newer model and it wasn't rough. I could not duplicate the other bad shifts on such a short ride. Mechanic stated that, it's ok... I have two more years on the powertrain warranty...does me a lot of good along the road or after the warranty. Baierl Ford seems to be concerned, but I want a fix, not concern. I am a truck driver and a private pilot, so I am very aware of unusual noises. I wish Baierl would treat me like I know a little something about mechanics.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

My 2015 explorer limited ed., as well as others in the area have a leak on the body in the rear top corners causing water to go into the spare tire compartment. Our spare tire compartment was just replaced due to having holes rusted through. It was covered under warranty but we are responsible for paying for part the leak repair, which is poor quality and not wear and tear.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

My wife’s $55k Ford Explorer Platinum with 1100 miles suddenly died while driving it. It was 10:30 on a cold rainy night just outside of Paterson NJ, an area plagued with gang and drug violence. We called roadside assistance and were told within 90 minutes a tow truck would be there. My young son was in the car so we asked that in such a heavily populated area would they please send someone sooner. At 90 minutes we called again - we were assured it would’ve only 10 more minutes. At the 2.5 mark we called an Uber and abandoned the SUV. So 1 am in a bad area.

We finally received a call at 1:30 am by the tower to say it would’ve another 20-30 minutes. I told him to forget it, we left the car and would deal with it in the morning. Ford actually called at 2 am to see how the tow went. I nearly lost my mind. So how long did it take the next day for a tower? I’ll let you know, I’m sitting near the vehicle with a cop and it’s been 1 hour and 55 minutes and we are still waiting- never, ever again will I buy Ford!

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I purchased a 2006 Ford Eddie Bauer Explorer in 2017 along with a Ford protect PremiumCARE 4 year extended service plan at Hempstead Ford dealership in Hempstead, NY. The car's "coil harness connector, coil pack and plugs became corroded backfeeding to the coil". The car was in Centereach, NY and could not be driven to Hempstead. It was towed to Ford of Smithtown who told me that this was not covered under my PremiumCARE extended plan because the parts were corroded and quoted me a price of $1024.62, plus the cost of the spark plugs, plus tax to make the repair. This quote included the labor and since the electrical components would already be removed I would just have to pay for the spark plugs.

I reviewed my extended plan and went to Hempstead Ford where I purchased the car and spoke with the service manager. She spoke with the parts manager who verified all the parts needed for the repair were covered under the extended service plan. The Hempstead Ford parts manager personally contacted Smithtown Ford and advised them of this. Smithtown decided to honor the warranty but stated that the spark plugs were not covered and charged me $376.28 for labor to change the spark plugs and $25.68 for the plugs plus tax.

When Smithtown thought I was not covered under the extended service plan they quoted me a price of $1024 for the repair which included labor. Now that I am covered under the warranty and not paying for the installation of electrical components I am charged $376.28 for putting in 6 spark plugs. The Ford PremiumCARE protection plan which is 100% backed by the Ford Motor Company with service provided by Ford and Lincoln dealerships in the US, Canada and Mexico. Why is it not honored in Smithtown?

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I bought my 2016 Ford Explorer Sport brand new off the lot. I got it fully loaded with all the options at the low price of 52K. To say I am disappointed in this car is a complete understatement. It had problems from day 1. First, the cowling on the right passenger panel had to be replaced. Then the plastic molding from the passenger floorboard came apart. THEN, my trunk wouldn't close because it was HITTING the right rear light and took chips out of my paint because it was misaligned out of the factory (GREAT JOB!!). This was ALL before 30,000 miles.

At 40K, I started getting paint bubbling on the hood of the car. I was out of warranty at this point, so I had to spend $2000 at a local auto body shop to have it ground down and repainted. At 50,000 miles, I started hearing grinding metal sounds from the right front passenger side under the car along with what felt like hard shifting. Come to find out my transfer case/PTU is completely wrecked and has to be replaced. I have had NOTHING but problems with this car and I'm not even to 60,000 miles yet. This is the WORST car I have EVER owned. I will NEVER buy another Ford product.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

I purchased a used Ford Explore and within the year the doors stopped locking and unlocking properly. My vehicle was not under warranty and I cannot afford to fix the issue with it being almost $2000. At first I just figured this was just some bad luck but after researching I discovered Ford has had door issues since the 80’s. The main reason I am writing this review is because I was recently at a stop light and a man came up to my vehicle and opened the back door to get in. I had my 5 year old in the backseat. Thankful I was a good distance from the car in front of me so I hit the gas knocking the man to the ground. I then was able to put the car in park and reach back a lock the door before he could get up. So Ford I want to know how this is not a safety concern? This man could have killed us.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I own a 2015 Ford Explorer and was told my back up camera needs to be replaced (Cost $100 just to run diagnostics). I have reached out to Ford online twice and sent a message through Facebook trying to understand how a 2015 vehicle would need a new back up camera (you only use this camera when backing up so it is not used very often). This is clearly a defect with the manufacturer. It will be $600 to replace and I was offered nothing but a runaround when trying to understand how this could have happened. This is my 4th Explorer since I turned 16 and after this whole experience this will be my last. My entire family are dedicated Ford owners but this has become a huge disappointment. I am not afraid of what else is going to go wrong when something as simple (and expensive) as a backup camera has already broken.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I am so thankful for the "extra" features on our 2016 Ford Explorer. I admit I had a jaundiced view of all the "extras" but not now. We were able to avoid a potentially fatal 2 car collision on Utah Highway 215 yesterday. A reckless driver illegally passed us and spun out of control in front of us; careening off of cement dividers and diversion cones. Thanks to God and the emergency braking system and the superior handling of this car... steering, brakes, stabilizing... all of it; we did not become part of a highway statistic. Good job on this car design!

Original review: July 31, 2018

I purchased a 2017 Ford Explorer Sport from Brewster Ford in Brewster, NY back in July, 2016. I paid $50k for the vehicle. A few months ago, it developed an oil leak. I brought it to Brewster Ford for repair. Over the last 2 months, I've brought it into Brewster Ford 4 times and they've attempted repairs 3 of those 4 times and with each repair, they've assured me that the leak was fixed. During the 4th visit, Brewster Ford had the vehicle for over 2 weeks and when I picked it up, they said it was "bone dry." They said they had coordinated their efforts with the Ford engineering team, they took the engine apart and promised that they had fixed the leak.

A few days after bringing it home, it started leaking again. I'm now being told by Brewster Ford that Corporate is having me bring it back a 5th time! Initially, the Regional Customer Service Management Team in Melbourne, FL had reached out to me to keep me apprised of the progress. Four team members contacted me at various times all claiming to be my "Regional Customer Service Manager." Heather **, Alicia **, Janeisha ** and Michele **. Now, after this 4th failed repair, they've all gone MIA. They do not answer their phone and they are not returning emails.

The car had 17,300 miles when it was first brought into the dealership and my understanding of the lemon law was that if the dealership and manufacturer were made aware of the problem before it hit 18,000 miles, that I'd be covered under New York Lemon Law. In addition, Brewster Ford and Corporate were notified of this problem within 24 months of my purchasing it. However, according to Heather **, she said their internal review board said that since not every repair was under the 18,000 mile mark, I had no case. However, the 4th repair was under 18,000 at 17,995, but the dealer entered the wrong mileage. I don't know if that was an oversight or intentional, but I sent Ford photos of the odometer that I had taken the morning I dropped it off showing 17,995 miles, but Ford Corporate has been unresponsive.

If you look at Ford's five-year stock history, they've steadily been declining in value and it's no wonder. Ford Corporate Customer Service is absolutely awful. Brewster Ford is not much better. I will never buy another Ford again and I encourage people reading this to please rethink your decision to buy a Ford. Ford does not stand by their vehicles. This has been a nightmare dealing with Corporate and the dealership. They really just don't care. As for me, I'm now waiting on Brewster Ford to let me know when they'll have a tech available to look at my vehicle for a 5th time. I'm now working on filing a complaint with the New York Attorney General's office to enter arbitration with Ford. What a hassle. FORD - never again.

Original review: July 19, 2018

Purchased this SUV (2014 Ford Explorer Sport) used with only 33,000 miles. Last month with approximately 43,000 miles on the car now, the AC unit stopped blowing cold air. A local Ford dealer advised it just needed a charge and did so for $160. A month later the issue surfaced again. The same dealer then advised it required an AC auxiliary line replacement. Parts and labor were $1,882 for a total of over $2,000 spent on this one issue. We love the size and performance of the car, but this expense coupled with poor gas mileage, a small gas tank, poor manufacturer consumer help, etc., I would not recommend this vehicle to those currently in the market for a new/used car.

Original review: June 21, 2018

I enjoy the 4 x 4 as it's winter and snowy, and I do not like getting stuck or being stranded in the snow. I can run errands and get back and forth easily regardless of weather, plus there is a back seat so I can take more passengers. Also, the previous owners installed a good stereo system with Bluetooth. I like the 4 wheel drive, and previous experience with this model, the last one was a few years older, and the stereo in the current one is better. I also like the safety features, as I have a grand baby that requires a car seat... But I wish it has better gas mileage and more cup holders, plus I need to get the fog lights to work as they didn't when I purchased the car. Also the back door lock needs a new pull, and there is a rip in the leather seat casing that needs to be sewn. Nevertheless, good experience with this vehicle overall.

Original review: June 21, 2018

I love my Ford Explorer Sport Trac! I get the use of a truck and the comfort of a SUV in one vehicle. The heated seats are an added comfort especially with my back issue. It has a sunroof, so that is an added bonus especially in the summer. I am disabled so the comfort of the ride is extremely important to me. I like the gas mileage and how much I could fit into the bed. I would like to see a more stylish cockpit though. I would also like to see power seats throughout and not just on the driver's side. I noticed that car companies have started eliminating spare tires. I don't like that. I like having a spare on hand.

Original review: June 20, 2018

The Ford Explorer has been very dependable. It has four wheel drive which helps tremendously in the winter when there is lots of snow. It has a very roomy interior, along with a roomy back. It drives smooth and has minimal maintenance. However, the doors auto lock and there is a problem with the auto lock where they fail to unlock. It's very much a hassle when it's the driver side door. It takes what seems like forever to get the door open. I would like to be able to disable it.

Original review: June 18, 2018

Need an SUV with the Michigan weathers so that me and my family don't get stuck in the ditch or in a snowbank and if someone is stuck we also have the option of pulling them out. 4 wheel drive is something that is necessary where we live if you don't then you're in for a long winter storm and while all our friends are stranded we can get out. Great vehicle in the snow and easy to get around unlike any of our other vehicles. If we have to take one of the kids to the doctors we know we can jump in the Ford Explorer and head to dr and not worry.

Original review: June 17, 2018

I've owned this 2000 Ford Explorer Sport for six years now and I just this year gave it a tune up. I've replaced the solenoid, the starter, an intake gasket, and had front end work done on it!! I've put about 100,000 miles on it. It runs great!! I bought this car thinking that it was a four wheel drive. I thought all Explorers were four wheel drive. Evidently it's a two wheel drive, but I'm still satisfied with the vehicle. I plan on keeping it maintained for as long as possible.

Original review: June 16, 2018

It is quite spacious and has a very powerful motor. It also has 4 wheel drive capabilities that I, personally use often. It is great for camping and hiking trips, and for every-day running around. It has a 3rd row of seats that fold down in the rear, as well as air conditioning and heater vents for the back seats that have their own temperature controls in the front. But Ford could make it easier to lay down the seats/put up third row. Also it could be a lot more efficient on fuel consumption. But overall, I have had a very good experience with my Ford Explorer.

Original review: June 15, 2018

My car model has actually been very reliable and useful. It gets me from point a to point b. It is also very roomy, so I'm able to get my kids in and out of the car with ease. The features that I like the most and influenced me the most to buy this model is all the space it has. Also, there is plenty of trunk space. However, one thing I wished my vehicle had is installed DVD players so the kids could relax while mommy drives.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Needed a cheap car to get back and forth to work and something that would get us through the snow and run good. And I bought a used 2000 year SUV Ford Explorer. It's white in color and has a radio, leather interior and all weather tires. It was well taken care of and has no rips, tears or scratches. It's too rough of a ride but it does what it's supposed to. It's a vehicle that runs and I'm thankful for it.

Original review: June 13, 2018

The Explorer is very comfortable and spacious. I absolutely love it. It has exceeded my expectations. It came with more features than I expected. I was happy that I chose this as my first major Ford purchase. It has many more safety features of any other vehicles we opted out -- front camera with a 180* view, back camera with a ground view, hands free navigation system, hands free hatchback, an app where you can locate your vehicle at all times, start and lock your vehicle and even set an alarm for the vehicle to start. However, I would've liked for it to have came with the cruise and brake control. It comes in very handy on the interstate not having to manually push on the brake and gas.

Original review: June 12, 2018

The 03 Ford Explorer Limited is great. Highly recommend to anyone looking for something big and comfortable for a good price. It's a nice family sized vehicle and you can fold the back row seat down for extra trunk space as needed. It's really nice. I love the size of it and the third row seating. It rides comfortable and even though it's a 6 cylinder it's not that bad on gas usage. I upgraded from a small Mercury Sable that just didn't suit me anymore size wise and very happy I did. This truck is awesome. Don't have to rent cars anymore to go out of town on vacation, this has plenty of room. However, I hate that the sunroof gets a lot of trash and debris in it over time and will cause it to leak when it rains hard, you have to take it to the shop to have the tubes cleaned. I haven't experienced any other major problems with this vehicle and hopefully I won't.

Original review: June 11, 2018

Blue Ford Explorer 2013 bought brand new, automatic transmission, four door, seats 7, large back for storing items, groceries, etc. Easy to travel with families, friends, and pets. Easy to maintain and keep up with oil changes and other. I like the keyless entry, automatic back up camera, one touch touchscreen for radio, ac, back hatch opener, seats fold down making more room for storage, easy access to all compartments. It fits all my needs perfectly. There is plenty of room for the whole family including the pets. There is hands free GPS and mobile phone access and everything that would be needed for the everyday events in a family's life.

Original review: June 10, 2018

I am a Ford girl and I truly love my Ford Explorer very much. It has room to move so I do not feel cramped in and I feel safe driving. People in back seat say they need more leg room but I don't carry back seat passengers often so that's fine with me. I love the size of my Ford Explorer and it is the perfect fit for me. I collect antiques so my Ford can hold and transport items that I find. I also love the heated seats. That is nice on winters days. My experience has been great in my Ford.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I had a really good experience the first 3 years. The Ford Explorer drove great. However, the past year I have been having problems with the transmission. I have done reviews and a lot of people have problems with the transmission in the Explorers. I am on my second transmission for it and am still having problems. Plus I have no more overdrive. I love that it has a third row seat though. This provides plenty of room for my family to be comfortable. It is also nice that the third row seat folds down so easily for when I go grocery shopping. Plus it has a smooth ride. We have taken it on family vacations and enjoy it.

Original review: June 8, 2018

Price and condition and mileage and bank loan were all considerations when buying this Ford Explorer. The truck had a great radio and lots of features I wanted in a SUV. But it was the worst purchase ever. It has been horrible and very expensive. Also, has so many mechanical issues. The timing belts are run with plastic spools. We have had to replace the timing chains and then the engine. All of the back panels in this model have cracks that run down the outside of back panel because of where Ford put the logo. I thought it would be a good family SUV but very uncomfortable. Not the case. I will never buy another Ford.

Ford Explorer Company Information