1.48/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 8, 2018

174 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 8, 2018

First Ford I had purchased was a 97 Explorer. The vehicle ran forever even with a hum in the diff. I did nothing to it except change the tires and the oil. Great car. I think I had put 200k on it before dumping it for an 06 Eddie Bauer Explorer with just under 80k. The EB was a very comfortable car, however it would almost slam into reverse, definitely had some transmission issues. I had purchased an extended warranty through the dealer and figured they would fix it. After three times (bringing it in to different dealers) no one was ever able to fix the issue. Warranty expires, I'm stuck with it. The warranty was a huge waste of cash and as soon as you buy it all of these phone calls start pouring in from people trying to sell you extended warranties.

Just this year start getting a noise from under the hood, on the way to the mechanic the thing dies, have it towed in. Guy tells me it's the timing chain and it would be best to buy a new motor. The thing has 125k on it? A new motor? Dropping a used motor would cost over half of what the car is worth. Fifteen hundred to repair a timing chain on a poorly designed engine isn't even worth it. Say I do fix the engine, then the transmission goes (Ford apparently couldn't fix three different times). One outta two ain't so bad. I'm buying German. ** it. If I'm going to throw money in the garbage might as well have some fun while I do it.

Original review: March 31, 2018

I leased a 2016 Ford Explorer, I love the look and how the car drives. However a year into the lease it started to overheat, took it in and they ended up replacing the bents that open and close that help save gas. One thing that I definitely did not like is how Ford makes it difficult to approve you for rental car while your car is getting service. No more problems with overheating after that; however not even two months later the air conditioning failed during a heat wave, once again I took it with an appointment, once there, I was told they were very busy and that they won’t be able to see my car that day. I had to complain to the person in charge, finally after a long discussion, they finally agreed to approve me for a rental car, the air conditioner got fixed within a week.

A month later there was a 300 dollars rental charge to my credit card, I disputed the charges. No problems with the air conditioner now. Now the new problem is with the gears, the car seems to lose power when accelerating into traffic, it’s scary because the car doesn’t want to move, I can press on accelerator and the engine rubs and the car won’t move. I took it in and I was told it was the transmission, then they said all they had to do was reset the computer, not even a week later, I am experiencing the same problem, However now the wrench appeared on the dash for maintenance.

My lease is over next year on May 2018, I decide to pay the remainder of the year and return the car. I will be losing $6,000 dollars. The car will be 36000 miles soon, I figure it will be cheaper to return the car now, and do my research for a different company and car. The original plan was to buy after lease was over but no way I am keeping the car. Hope this helps consumers and also help Ford improve their cars.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: March 24, 2018

I’ll start with a back story of why I got into a Ford Explorer to begin with and if I had a do-over I would NOT buy a Ford Explorer. For many years I wanted a SUV but was raising a family and couldn’t afford the extra expense. My kids are grown and flown and I’m divorced. So, I splurged on myself. I had my heart set on a Chevy Tahoe, but drove an Explorer and loved it. That’s not the problem. The complaint I have is the same complaint so many other Explorer owners have reported. Not knowing the correct term I’ll use what I’ve heard them called, the plastic pillars, windshield trim or to keep it clean, the unattractive piece that flies off while driving, making it a dangerous hazard to other drivers, and making a $40,000+ car look like crap. I just don’t understand why Ford Motor Company has allowed it to go on for so many years. Is it because consumers are still buying them? Is it because once they are bought then it’s out of Ford’s hands?

The other Ford SUVs don’t seem to have this problem. In fact, I noticed that the Ford Explorer seems to be the only one with the cheap plastic trim while the others look like one piece... The same material as the roof, hood, doors and fender... METAL!! Yes, the black trim dresses it up a bit, but when they fly off it looks like nothing more than a car that was not taken care of by the owner but is actually the manufactures fault and carelessness. I love my Explorer!!! So much that I had already decided that when the time came I would trade this one in and get another. But, that has changed. I paid $500+ to have the pillars replaced because I couldn’t get answers from Ford as to why this is happening and if they were going to honor it and fix it.

The replacements (brand new) already did the same thing. Can’t you see this is a problem? And, it has gone on for so many years untouched. And, there are so many complaints about this. Why isn’t it corrected by now? How can you let the Ford name tarnish by one piece that can be changed? What’s worse than bad business? Word of mouth, bad mouthing Ford for their choice to neglect and ignore this issue that they are fully aware of. My next purchase won’t be an Explorer, which saddens me because I really love everything about it, other than the obvious. Actually, my next purchase will NOT be a Ford at all. My one purchase won’t make or break your company. But, after a while you have to see the damage it’s doing to the name that has been around for so many generations.

The vehicle is already being built... Just do it right and get it over with already. You’ll have so many happy people and the word will get out that Ford does take care of their people. I can’t wait to get out of my Explorer. I am embarrassed driving it while it looks like a piece of trash. I’m embarrassed to say that’s my car. I’m embarrassed to have anyone drive with me because it’s well, embarrassing. Get it together Ford people... I’m not a proud owner of a FORD or a FORD EXPLORER for that matter.

Original review: March 9, 2018

Two weeks ago I purchased a 2018 Ford Explorer Limited having traded in a 2013 Ford Explorer Limited. On the 2013 Explorer the window and windshield plastic trim pieces all buckled but some were replaced under warranty and I personally paid for the last "buckled" piece of trim. I thought surely Ford would have improved this defect and maybe my car was the exception with faulty trim. I have 1300 miles on my new $50,000+ vehicle and already the trim is buckling on the driver's side of the windshield. So here I go again, back and forth to the dealership, to be held hostage by some cheap looking pieces of trim. Is there any chance that there is a class action suit against Ford because of this defect? I am going to complain to Ford again but I see my life for the next 34,000 miles left in the warranty, as one of returning to the dealership every month! What recourse do I have? Wish I had never bought this model.

Original review: March 8, 2018

Have a 2012 Ford Explorer. At 70,000 miles the transmission completely blew out in the middle of a busy street. It would not even move. I have never had to replace a transmission at 70,000 miles but then again I have never owned a Ford. The cost of the transmission alone that didn't even last until 100k was $3000. Total with labor was $4200. Had it back for about a week and noticed severe vibrations. Took it back in and turns out the motor mounts had somehow broke off. Another $550 to fix this. Not to mention the backup camera stopped working at about 40k miles. Interior started coming apart around that same time. Recommend not buying a Ford especially Ford Explorer.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ford?

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

Purchased the 2017 Explorer Platinum brand new. At the 4000 mile marker my wife came out to go to work and found all the pillar moldings and the driver mirror assembly plastic had all warped. Tried the Ford dealership route to get denied 2 times with the explanation of "exterior heat source" being the cause and now had to file an insurance claim to get repairs. Ford customer service was no help other than, "We're sorry," with nothing else but a, "Have a nice day". This experience will now drive me to anything but FORD.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Own a 2015 Ford Explorer Limited, discovered the paint bubbling at the edge of the hood. Took it to a local repair shop for an estimate as we're just outside of warranty and was told that the issue was a manufacturer defect, the aluminum was not properly sealed before painting and that the manufacturer should cover the repair. Took it to the local dealership to find out that they've seen several of them but Ford isn't fixing them, no repainting, nothing if you're outside of the 3yr/36K original warranty and that Ford has pulled the service notes on how to repair and replaced them with the only option of have a new hood acquired and painted at the dealership (at some serious $$$).

Additionally to find out that most dealerships aren't even certified to handle the prep work for aluminum so I'd most likely back in the same situation in a short period of time. At this point I either pay a custom shop to strip and repair the existing hood before they repaint it or pay Ford to replace the hood and do the same thing to a brand new hood.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I personally like to buy American. I have had other models of cars and they didn't stand up as well as my Ford Explorer. I have had Fords for over 30 years and I also have a Ford 250 truck which has been a workhorse. I live in a rural area so my vehicles have to work hard.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

Don't be a volunteer firepolice with an Explorer. Will get pulled over by cops all the time thinking you're portraying a fake cop. Just bought a brand new one and stuck with it. Long time to pay it off. Long way to get rid of it before I can pay it off. Been pulled off twice within a month and a half. Have to have lights on it. Wasn't even going to a call.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

We leased a 2015 Ford Explorer in January 2012. We purchased this model because of all of the safety features it offered. The main feature we were interested in is the collision warning. At the beginning it worked great. Saved me from an accident once or twice. About a month ago, the system did not work and I unfortunately hit the back of someone's car. The collision sensor light remains on now. I took it to Ford to get it fixed and they told me I broke the sensor in the accident and therefore it is NOT COVERED under any warranty.

The Customer Care representative basically told me it was my fault and that the sensor does not stop the car, it is just a warning that you may hit the car in front of you. IT WORKED AT ONE TIME. Ford basically said, "Too bad." They cannot help me and that I would have to pay $2,000 for this part. I should not have to pay for this part since this was a malfunction of the product. The car was supposed to stop and it did not. I will never buy another Ford again and I will escalate this matter.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I have a new 2017 Ford Explorer Platinum purchased in Sept 2017. I love everything about the car thus far except the gas mileage. I expect MPG to be a little worse than the MPG presented on the Sales Sticker, however this is ridiculous. After 2k miles I am getting 10 MPG in town and 17 on the highway driving the speed limit and trying my best not to kick in the turbos on the EcoBoost 6 engine. I spoke to our Ford dealer and they suggested we coast more. Seriously they said that.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

I have read articles posted on several sites in reference to the Ford throttle body issues. I have a 2013 Ford Explorer. The vehicle would start fine only to stop in the middle of the commute. This was quite dangerous. I only took my Explorer to the same dealership for maintenance to avoid issues with workmanship. Over the weekend I had to replace the failed part at my expense of $600.00. I called Ford only to be told that the recall was vehicle specific, however, I find it interesting that the exact part failed on my vehicle as well. I have attempted to communicate with Ford only to be told they will document the issue online, but will not offer any assistance, cover the part, or expense. I was hoping you could point me in the right direction to file a complaint with Ford motor company. Thanks.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

2016 Ford Explorer XLT was great until I hit 17,680 miles. Transmission went into "limp mode" and would not accelerate. Engine/Wrench light appeared on the dash and I basically crawled to the dealership. Very scary when stopped, put the pedal to floor and would barely move. After a few days at the dealership, they said it appeared to be the clutch and they replaced it. Got it back and two days later, it did it again. Drove back to dealership and they had it for a day, but couldn't get it to do it, so I got it back.

Two days later, it happened once again. Dealership said if it happened again, drive it right to the dealership and don't turn it off. A tech went for a ride with me and was able to see what was happening. When we're driving back, lights on dash went off and the car drove fine. The tech said not to worry, they'd be able to get a code even though the lights on the dash went off. So I'm on my 3rd rental and waiting to hear what will be done. Luckily I leased my Explorer and everything is covered under warranty. My advice is stay far away from any Ford product with this transmission! It's dangerous and completely unreliable.

Updated on 10/20/2017: So it appears that a bolt in the clutch area was sheared and they will be ordering the part. After almost two weeks without my 2016 Ford Explorer Powertrain, I received a call from the service dept. at the Ford Dealer informing me that they had now ordered the part twice from Ford, but Ford has no idea where the part is??? The service rep said that they had to take my Explorer off the lift to free up space and was at a loss for words as to why Ford had no idea where the part was and was very apologetic. He stated as soon as the part arrived, they would get the Explorer back on the lift and fix it.

A day went by and he called back and said as luck would have it the part arrived and they had installed it, however they wanted to keep my Explorer for another day or so, to make sure it was ok. So I'm now waiting for a call to pick it up and crossing my fingers this is the end of it. If not, I guess I'll be contacting an attorney to see what my option are to break the lease and get my money back, very frustrating and have lost all confidence in Ford.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

Noise at 45 to 53 mph - Bought 2016 Explorer (limited) used with 16,000 miles. Went in for servicing and told them about noise. They did not hear it so I said I would bring it back my next day off. They heard noise and said they would need car a few days. The noise is between a whine and hum. Kindly gave me a rental at their expense, but had car almost 2 weeks. Got car back last night with new transmission and think it still has noise. Always had Mercury Mountaineer so wanted to stick with Ford. Scared!!! Not sure if I should keep car. I cannot fault dealership because at least I had transportation.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

2015 Ford Explorer XLT - I have barely had this vehicle for 2 years - I bought it brand new. The driver and passenger from panels are buckling and seem to have warped. It looks terrible. The dealership service department told me that because I have 50K miles on the vehicle it is not covered by the warranty. Sad because between my husband and I - we have bought over 9 Fords from Covert Ford Austin Texas within the past 14 years. I will not buy another Ford and will definitely not buy from Covert again.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

Bought a certify used 2013 Ford Explorer (3 years old when I bought it 2016). 1st month water leaked so bad that water was coming from the front interior ceiling cover and all the side of the windows and the back third row right passenger seatbelt was soak and wet. Ford fix it of course, but still has little like which they can't seem to figure out where it is leaking from (Only happen in heavy rain now). I know that their vehicle is over 100K miles, but a vehicle under 5 years old is now rattling and just replaced water pump and flush the system to get rid of possible water leak in (15Sept2017) at the dealer (cost: $710 everything).

Rattling is still there. I can hear it when turn on and worse when driving. Also, vehicle jerk some time when switching gear. Should I be worry about that? I don't know. Also, suspension is sounding like it's already wearing off. What does a certified used car mean anyway? I trust that it’s been fix to standard and back to shape before selling it to a new customer, right? At least that's what I think a certified used car mean. All, I know is my old 2001 Acura MDX lasted longer than the 2013 Explorer before it started giving me problem and I bought it after it has already been over 5 years old. So far my first domestic vehicle experience is pushing me to reconsider the import vehicle again. I am somewhat satisfied and more dissatisfied with my 2013 Ford Explorer.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

Extremely dissatisfied with last experience with my 2015 Ford Explorer service at Norris Ford in Maryland. Took vehicle in for ac not working and the passenger side door warped at the top by the window... Ac was replaced but was told by the service advisor that the door was not covered and that it happens a lot from the sun. It would cost close to $500 to replace. I’m sorry but if this happens often then Ford should stand by their product and fix it. This will be my only Ford owning if this is how a company stands behind their vehicles... The photo is from 2 days ago and now it’s one large bubble (hump).

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

I was looking for a used SUV in 2002 and a friend car salesman recommended a 1998 Ford Explorer that he found on a lot in southern Tennessee. He had made a good deal with the owner of the lot in my behalf. The mileage was in the 30's. My wife and I went to the lot and test drove it for a couple of hours. As I drove, the front end didn't feel right. So, I took it back and we discussed the problem and they inspected it and found that it needed the front suspension replaced. They replaced the whole front end and I purchased it.

Over the coming years and another 100,000 miles, I replaced the same front end suspension for the fifth time, along with other items, such as water pump, radiator, alternator, etc. Then the paint started coming off. I finally wised up a little and gave it away. I know that I spent enough on it to have purchased a new one. I have purchased several cars and trucks in my 70 years and that was the worse one ever. I would never buy another Explorer. Thanks to the friend that introduced me to such a piece of junk. Thank you for letting me vent. I don't know about any of the newer models and if the problem has been solved. I hope that this helps someone else to make up their mind, before buying.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

Over past 2 months Explorer has been experiencing wind noise when driven at highway speeds. On most recent trip passenger side windshield molding came out of track and began slapping windshield. Called Ford sales manager that sold us car, personal friend. Said he had never heard of that and to check NH Transportation safety for recall. None found. Called 2 different auto glass places including Safelite. Was told by both windshield had to be replaced. Contacted insurance company. Made appt for Safelite. Tech arrives looks at me like I am crazy when I said the windshield had to be replaced. After a few ** words he finally explained that it was only an issue with the molding. Kid was super nice, but not good at explaining anything. Still cost more than my deductible for a rubber moulding and piece of plastic. Ford got to me good on this one.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

I bought a used Certified 2015 Explorer XLT with 15k on April 2016. In November of 2016, I've noticed some corrosion build up on hood edges. Went to the local dealer and they took some photos to get approval from FORD. Ford approved to repair the corrosion and NOT to replace it. The service advisor stated that there is a TSB for a repair, so they have to that first. Well, they repaired on December of 2016. Seven months later, the corrosion came back on the hood again. Again, went to the dealer and they took photos and submitted to Ford. Received message from the dealer today saying that Ford only approved to repair on the hood again. I asked the service advisor why would they not replace the hood, because the corrosion is going to keep on coming back? Dealer stated that FORD would not approve to replace the hood. Is this true? To me, it does not make sense. No matter what, the corrosion is going to keep on coming back.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

3 yrs old, 70,000 km and has been back for A pillar trim loose, failed hatch strut (hatch lower and become a hazard), rear heat control failure, new driver leather seat skin all warranty items if push dealer enough. Now the door panel is detaching at the top and not covered by warranty (many others have same issue however dealer says it's normally the armrest splitting open). I have a 2000 Toyota and a 2005 Vibe (Toyota) and both have had less issues than this Ford steaming three coil pile of **. Buy Japanese the Big Three are returning to their old standards.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

2014 Explorer at 35,000 miles, had the following repairs: new battery, lower ball joints, struts and strut mounts, and new sway bar. Then, driving on an Interstate, the narrow molding (driver side) on the windshield alongside the door, flew off (the Same thing happened to my neighbor's Explorer). Ford dealership - Barker Ford - wants over $400.00 to replace the molding. BTW, the molding just snaps in, no expensive body work required. RIP OFF! We're looking to trade in the Explorer and get another brand, probably a Honda.

Original review: July 12, 2017

I bought my 2014 Explorer Sport CPO and it has multiple issues. We have taken it in the have the airbag light serviced, it keeps turning on for no reason. It's been "fixed" once but the light is back on. While driving in cold weather down a windy canyon we lost power steering and the lights/radio all blinked off/on 3 separate times. We were told the battery was bad causing a short that caused the issues. It was very scary!

Finally, I just noticed the paint on the front doors and back liftgate have little rust spots coming through. I was actually told by the dealer that this must be from water. It being wiped off the car?!? Cars can stay wet and should not rust with paint that is intact! I will be fighting tooth and nail on this Friday when I take it AGAIN for the airbag light. It is absurd! I like the car but it has been a shop car in the 1 1/2 yrs we have owned it.

Original review: July 5, 2017

I bought a 2013 Explorer and the paint is bubbling on hood edge. Ford dealer says out of warranty and it is not their problem. Please tell me how they can get away with this, having so many complaints. Seems to be 2013 only. This to me is DEFECT.

Original review: June 30, 2017

I have had nothing but issues since I purchased 2013 Explorer. The dealership is untimely and rude. Ford Motor Company does not care what happens to their business or stand behind the vehicles. I had bad tires from day 1. I've had 4 sensors go out. Tire light come on daily. Had to replace tires 2 times in less then 4 yrs before warranty was out. Replace battery. There was a recall on the fuel something. Power steering went out. Ridiculous. Of course most of this happened as soon as warranty ran out. They are not willing to help in any way.

There was a recall on power steering 4 mos. before mine was manufactured. They are rude and can't even get the car in to be looked at for a month. They don't offer a loaner while they work on it. Just ridiculous. I have fam that works and some retired from there in Detroit. I'm so disappointed we have bought 3 Ford from Marshal Mize and they treat you like crap. Guess what I will not go there again. Not buy another ford!!??

Original review: June 22, 2017

2016 Ford Explorer Sport - Purchased February 2016. A LOT of repairs on such an expensive and new car. As of June 2017 33,000 miles. Front dash panel replacement. Right window/mirror seal. Four rear A/C vents replaced. A/C compressor clutch replaced. Entire PTU replaced (cracked). Rear left brake/park brake replacement (worn out pad and rotors). Left power mirror replaced. Right power mirror replaced. Complained about front knocking noise - NOT DIAGNOSED YET (June 20th).

Original review: June 15, 2017

I bought my Explorer (Sport) in December 2016 with 11 miles on it. Two months later I started to hear grinding noise when I pressed on a gas to have more speed. I called the dealer they took my car in and they said that this was the heat shield. Then I waited a month on a part and finally they took on and "fixed" it all in ONE day. When I got my car back it ran worse than before with more noises and it was much louder. First thing was then I was starting the car there was a puff noise, the grinding noise was still there and it seemed that my exhaust was much louder. I took the car back to the dealer and almost a month later I still don't have my car and I was told that my transmission is being rebuild.

Now, the people in Bob Rohrman dealership have the worst customer service I have ever experienced. Since they have my car (for almost a month). I called 5 times to get an update and I only talked to the manager once. The reception girl was taking my messages and assured me that someone would call me back, but that was not happening. Sometimes when I called there were no, none, zilch managers on duty, and no one was answering phone calls in the service department. I called the Ford customer service and now I have 2 claims and still no answers on what is going on. I do not recommend this dealership to anyone and I would never buy Ford again.

Original review: May 24, 2017

Bought a 2013 Ford Explorer new in 2012. Worst automobile we have ever owned. Started off with a piece of the truck flying off of the body. That was the first week. Dealer fixed. Next some kind of seal issue caused the floor to be soaked after every rain. That was first 6 months. Dealer fixed but never able to fully get rid of smell. Next was 18 months later. Rear brakes and rotors...that was 500 miles from home on family vacation. Called the local Ford dealer...wear and tear item no warranty help. Next was front brakes and rotors. Next was shocks. I have extended warranty but all items are wear and tear. Truck has never towed anything and never been off road and has yet to hit 50k miles.

My only salvation and main reason for writing this is that today while sitting in the repair shop I was able to talk another person out of buying a Ford. She actually had a deposit down on an Escape and I talked her out of it. This is the 9th person in 3 years that I have convinced. If we keep it up Ford will eventually lose market share and will start building better cars and or start treating customers like they want them back...the way that Honda Toyota and Mazda do.

Original review: May 9, 2017

I was in an accident and was hurt and airbags not deploy. I need surgery on both shoulders and have neck problems. Have seen many others who have had same problem. I would never advise anyone to buy from Ford. Do not stand behind their products. Have seen ex employees write how they try to cover their mistakes. I will never buy another ford. First one and last.

Original review: April 29, 2017

I bought a 2012 Ford Explorer brand new. After two years of owning it the stitching on the armrest of the driver side door is coming undone. Threes of owning it the check engine light comes on for a day or two and then disappears. Also when I put fuel in my car after I'm down pumping the car won't turnover right away. It takes like two to three tries to get it started. Now I'm dealing with leaks in the AC system which will cost me at least $500 to fix it. The paint is coming off as well. This car is only 5 years old. I will never buy a Ford again.

Ford Explorer Company Information