Ford Explorer

Compare Car Models

Research top Car Models recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

My husband and I bought our 2015 Explorer in March 2015. From the beginning I wasn't so happy with it because of the miles per gallon we were getting. After about a year with the vehicle, the transmission started to give us problems. In the morning, when it was time for me to go to work, it would not shift into reverse when I would need to back up from my driveway.

We have taken it to get checked and the dealership claimed there was nothing wrong with it. But we are having problems with the transmission shifting into reverse in the mornings almost on a daily basis. Should I call customer service? Or any other advised as how to get this car fixed. It's only 2 years old and since we bought it, the brakes have been squeaking every time I press them. The battery has died and a there is a smell coming from the vents when I turn on the air. It's a horrible urine like smell. The dealership changed the cabin filter, but the smell is still there. My vehicle is under warranty but the dealership is just giving us the run around. Any advice as to what to do?

My 2000 Ford Explorer doors do not open. The only way to get into or out of my truck is to not let the driver's door shut all the way. I must keep the door open. All actuators have broke. It would cost over $886.00 to fix them. This should be recalled. The other years were recalled but not 2000.

Paint on 2014 Ford Explorer bubbling in front near grill. I called Ford and told rep about the bubbling after I had read that others were having same problem. We bought ours used. Love the car except the paint. I would think that Ford would make it right... Especially since it is faulty paint. Sadly they claimed not under warranty. They did faulty work and should be honorable to their reputation.

2001 Ford Explorer timing chain out 94000 mi, had to rebuild over 3000.00. 2003 F150 King Ranch all paint coming off, dash looks bad, same truck, 4 wheel drive would not work CAUSE a plastic yoke in diff. 850.00. I AND MY FAMILY have been Ford people. I bought both vel. new. They have been down more than running. No more. If you can't make Fords in USA I won't buy another. Ford stand behind your cars or your comp. will go down like a snowflake on a hot summer day.

I have had my 2016 Ford Explorer for just over 1 year. Bought it brand new. Almost $40k. At 16k miles the transmission went out. It has a horrific wind noise at highway speeds right front. Now I smell antifreeze when it is idling and it also has a noise that sounds like a bad vacuum. Back into the shop AGAIN. Worst vehicle ever. I have always babied my cars. Well maintained and mostly highway driving.. Very frustrating to say the least.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ford?

I bought Ford Explorer 2012 brand new in Oct 2011. I had several problems with throttle body. Dealer couldn't find problem. Truck gave out 4 times in middle of road. Later we did some research and found problem ourself. Then power steering went out. Then we took it for a bad smell. Still dealer couldn't find problem. Then catalytic converter went out... Remind you all this started at 11,000 miles to forward. Then after fixing car 3 weeks later the motor was done, truck gave out and was towed to dealer. They told us motor was done. Truck had just had oil change on time every time at dealer. All maintenance was done at dealer. We have over 70 receipts from dealer for oil change, brakes, maintenance, tires etc... Truck has 50,069 miles.

I have a 2013 Ford Explorer with just over 24,000 miles on it. It has been a great vehicle up until a couple of months ago. I began to smell a moldy/mildewy smell in the vehicle that got worse with every day. Took it to the dealership where I purchased the vehicle and they discovered a crack in the seam near the back hatch. Rain leaked in through the crack and gathered in the spare tire wheel well creating the musty mold smell. The dealership said that Ford would not pay for the repair even though I had paid for an extended warranty.

I complained and they did a butler cleaning on the vehicle. The chemicals they used were strong, but just masked the smell. The moldy smell returned within 3 days. I called the Ford Customer Relationship line and they opened a case for me. I returned the vehicle to the dealership as I am unable to drive it because the smell literally makes me sick. They said that Ford STILL refuses to pay for the necessary repair of replacing all of the carpet in the vehicle. They offered me a 10% discount for the $1,900 repair. The crack in the body of the vehicle is a factory defect and I am refuse to pay for the repair. Next step is litigation. MANY complaints about this and other year models of Explorer. I will be very vocal about NOT buying FORD. Poor workmanship AND NO CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!

Just had transmission replaced because engine revved up and wheels would not move as transmission would not engage. After picking up car same problem 15 mi later. This 2006 has 111,000 mi and always serviced. Apparently this is a problem with this year Explorer. Car towed back to shop and I will be trading this in immediately.

We bought this vehicle new in October of 2013. In 2015, I noticed the front perimeter of the hood had paint flaking off and maybe some rusting. I thought something like that should be covered under warranty so I sent an email and pictures to a contact we had at Ford. He said it was rock chip damage and that it wasn't covered under warranty. A friend at FORD has since told me that peeling paint and corrosion on the perimeter of the hood is the number one complaint on the 2013 Ford Explorer and that there was some kind of silent warranty in effect (which I guess means if the customer makes an issue, it gets fixed?).

For the record - in 2015 this would have been covered by warranty... not a silent warranty but actual warranty. And trust me, I would have made it an issue. But, when someone representing FORD who looks at vehicles all day tells me it is from rock chips, well, that's what I believed. I didn't even know the hood was aluminum so you can't really expect me to know it was corroding and peeling because of a paint issue. Fast forward to 2016. The chips are still there but now the paint on the side is bubbling. Clearly this is not rock chips as I make a point of not driving down the road sideways so I contact Ford again. Ford Canada offers 15% toward a $2500 replacement hood (painting is only temporary) and basically says "Hey, it's not our issue. You should have had it fixed when it was under warranty". I TRIED!!

Anyway, if you are considering a FORD, there are a lot of comments out there relating to the crap paint on various models of FORD products so buyer beware. I loved my Explorer and would have bought another one but will definitely explore another manufacturer now.

So I bought a 2014 in June of 2014. July 2015 the AC goes out. Bring it back, it's working, they can't find anything wrong. Meanwhile, the key fob won't work. Drive away, same day goes out, ac, and I drop it off. 2 weeks later, they figured it out, CPU. May 2015, power steering goes out. June 2015, panel on windshield goes out. ALL LESS THAN 9000 MILES ON THIS VEHICLE. Covered under warranty. January 2016, same panel flies off the car while driving. They want me to pay 455.00 plus labor to fix it. Note, I filed a claim after the power steering and did not hear back. Called today and provided a new contact. Either way, horrible car. I don't recommend buying this car.

My Ford Explorer 2016 has only 9,000 miles and suddenly started to lose power while driving and stopped in the middle of the road. This situation happened 4 times in 2 days. I called 2 Ford dealerships in Tampa and I had to wait for 4 days before I could get an appointment. I was finally given an appointment for 8:30am and when I called for an update at 12:30pm I was told my SUV was yet not checked by the staff. I called Ford customer service to see what they could do and their answer was, "We can't take your concern now because our system is updating." This is my first and last time I will ever have a Ford vehicle.

My 2008 Ford Explorer V8 AWD has had mechanical problems since the middle July. I dropped it off at the local Ford dealer on 7/20/16 and by Ford's diagnostic fault codes was diagnosed with bad Cam Phasers. The Cam Phasers were replaced and we picked it up on 7/28/16 and drove off on a family vacation to the lake the next day. While at the lake the vehicle died in traffic several times and the check engine light came on again. We took it to a local place and they read the codes as being the Cam Phasers again. I called the dealer and they said to bring it in when I was able and they would look at it again. I dropped it off on August 15 (after it had died on my in rush hour traffic on the highway with a semi truck fast approaching) and finally on August 29 after much troubleshooting and research on the fault codes, Ford concluded it was the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). The part was not in stock and was given a completion date of Sept 8.

Then a memo changed the date to Sept. 12. Then a back order until October 23! The dealership cannot fix my vehicle without a part. I don't understand why or possibly how it could take 2 months to manufacture a part; however, I was patient and waited. Today is Oct 24 and there is no answer of when the PCM will be available from Ford. Ford will not even issue me a rental car for my obvious imposition and the Regional Sales Manager only wants to tell me she "understands" but has no answers. I need to speak with someone who is a little more action than talk.

In the mean time the local dealer has tried 3 aftermarket PCM's that do not work. Really, I don't want to 'settle' for an aftermarket Part. It is after all a Ford vehicle. Again, they are doing their part to try to fix my vehicle but if Ford is not producing a part, what are they supposed to do? This is my 3rd Explorer over 15 years. My husband has always driven a Ford Truck, as well as my brother in law and father in law. We have a business that purchases Ford Trucks as well. We like supporting the American economy! Losing my patience with Ford! This may be the last Ford we purchase.

I have owned 8 Fords over the last 22 years. Never again! The paint on the hood of my 2013 Ford Explorer is bubbling and peeling off. I have read hundreds of complaints on this, so I know that Ford is aware. Yet they refuse to do anything about their defective paint job.

This gonna be a long one. Bought a 2015 Explorer as they became available in late 2014. Second Explorer I've procured. Wasn't happy with the 2004 that blew the water pump, timing chain and other components within 25K miles... especially the crack in the tailgate due to sub par engineering when you closed the glass. Hence why that option isn't available any longer. BUT, thought I'd give the redesigned body style a chance.

Anyway. First family trip (12K miles on the vehicle) it rides like, or worse than a covered wagon with 5 people and luggage loaded on it. Actually... very scary. Made it unharmed but anything over 70 and it swayed like it was going to flip. Not sure why I didn't take it in and complain then. Just assumed. Got home and the rear tires were so bad they were shredding metal. Got the rear end aligned and new tires put on which were worn on the inner rim because the alignment was toed out so bad. Tire dealer informed me that they could not align it all the way out because the knuckles in the rear were already worn. Took it to the dealer and they said there was nothing wrong with the suspension or alignment.

One year removed (and no other family trips) the thing still drives like a pissed off bull. I've got 44K on it and have "put up" with this because the dealers have told me there is nothing wrong with it. Took it back to the dealer who said they needed to align it first before assessing if anything is wrong with the suspension. Dealer assessment. $7500. ** to that. Dealer says someone must have hit something really hard because the front frame is cracked along with a bent RIGHT front and back wheels. Vehicle has never been in more than a slight fender bender to the LEFT front fender. I'm done with FORD and will never ever buy another.

I've had my Explorer for 2 months now and when driving over 50 MPH, a bad fouling odor comes into the cabin. I just had yesterday the first oil change and explained it to the service tech at Ford. He explained that it has been happening to a lot of customers: it is the exhaust fumes that come inside the cabin. He even explained that he tried to put a deflector on another customer but did not work. Said that Ford was aware of these complaints and was working on a Service Bulletin... not a recall... Once they have assessed the solution... Meanwhile we users are helpless... And it is a dangerous situation because it is carbon monoxide we are being exposed to. Also, I find that the driving/handling is too unrefined... You need to make adjustments all the time and when driving on the highway it can be easy to lose control of the car and also become a dangerous situation...

I have had my Explorer for about 3 months. Started slipping/jerking. It is now in the shop and needs a new transmission. I called Ford customer care and was advised that there has not been a recall because not enough people are calling customer care and putting in a complaint with their VIN number. I beg you please call and complain. These transmissions are expensive and a lot of us cannot afford to have them fixed.

2016 Ford Explorer bought at Berge Ford in AZ. When I accelerate there is the smell of exhaust that comes into the cabin. I took it in for its first oil change last month and was told that the smell was coolant. They didn't even list my complaint on the work order. This morning I had to accelerate and the smell was so bad it gave me a headache.

My husband had a horrible experience with his Ford Explorer. It ruined our credit history when one of the two timing chains fell into the engine and destroyed the engine. After the repair other things no longer worked, like the horn. It wasn't covered under the warranty. Then the bearings went out. The new bearings failed and he was told because they were cheap overseas parts and he had to pay $100 more to get the "good" part. It wasn't covered under the engine warranty. My husband passed away on Monday (I am sure the stress didn't help him). My husband suddenly got very sick and passed Monday.

A friend wanted to borrow the truck while she had her transmission repaired. When she drove the truck, the lights started blinking, the power steering quit and she could barely turn it around to bring it back to me. In my opinion, all of these other reviews on here should file a class-action suit. I am not sure I can even sell the truck now and not sure it's worth changing into my name.

2012 Ford Explorer - with approximately 45,000 miles driving down the freeway at 70MPH on a hot day, the driver's side front windshield window trim panel blew off. I had noticed a whistling noise right before this happened the last day or two. It was a plastic piece that seemed to have been held on by some 2-way tape and a small bracket or two. $100 to replace and repair. It still makes some noise on warm days while driving on the freeway. I am waiting for it to blow off again. Piece of crap design.

In 2006 I purchased new a 2006 Ford Explorer and it's been a good vehicle that has approximately 95,000 driven miles on it. Only recently it was discovered that the roof paint is peeling and beginning to rust. It appears to me that the roof was poorly painted and the coverage was too thin. Professionals have told me that the original painting was inferior much like the 2005 Explorer that was recalled for that very reason. My vehicle was manufactured in January of 2006 and I am convinced that the paint procedure was not changed until later in 2006. On July 25 my vehicle goes in a garage for a new paint job on the top. At this time the expense will be born by me. I feel like warranty or not, Ford did a poor job with the painting and should share in some or all of the cost including the use of a rental car for the week. I hope Ford sees this posting and takes some action of assistance.

I have a 2013 Ford Explorer that had the electronic power steering suddenly quit working. I quickly learned that this had been recalled and called a dealership to confirm this. They told me that yes the 2013 Explorer had been recalled for this problem, however, not the month that my car was manufactured. I filed a complaint and got a case number. The dealership then looked into the problem and said that it is the exact same problem that the other 2013 Explorers had and that were recalled for safety reasons. After about a month of my car being in the shop and no news from Ford they finally called and said that they would not be covering anything because the car was past its warranty (the car has 68,000 miles). I feel that Ford is liable for this issue and should stand behind their product and the safety of its customers.

I bought my truck back in two thousand four - took it to the Ford dealership four times about the clock sound when I apply pressure to the break Or stop suddenly. But each time they claim they could not duplicate what I was talking about. To this day I still have the problem it doesn't do it all the time but is there. And I also have three cracks in my bike hitch.

Ok this is my second Explorer. My first was 2001, had 190000 on it when I finally sold it. Never had any issues with it, ran forever. Now I bought a 2008 Eddie Bauer model with around 63000 on it. Since around 68000, the radio would light up then not light up on and off. The interior lights would come on and off driving down the road. The heat fan, since 85000, won't work on 1 or 2 or 3 and 4. I take excellent care of my vehicles, somewhat of a nut, always on time for oil changes, filters, tire rotations, fix things when they need it or wearing out. But this set of issues is stupid. I did research on it.

Apparently, the ignition switch is the issue and has been an issue for a lot of people. I luckily do not have the automatic seats because if I did when the lights come on these seats go back all the way so you can get out. Problem people are driving down the road when this happens. I just get the lights on inside that mess you up at night. Ford should be recalling this issue asap. It is a safety issue. I am having mine replaced, I hope this corrects the other issues. If not that means another issue like a short. That will cost some money. This maybe my last Explorer after this. Sad, I love how they run, ride, safety long-lasting comfortable to drive.

Purchased a 2016 Ford Explorer and within the first 500 miles had a very loud clunking in the front suspension. Brought it to the dealer and they couldn't find the problem; called Ford service and stated the problem but did not get a resolution with Ford. The vehicle has 1,500 miles and clunking continues as I step on the brake and the funny thing is that it doesn't do it every time... I also feel like the Tracking Assist is malfunctioning.

I bought a brand new 2012 Ford Explorer at the end of 2011 and by end of 2012 I had already put in all new rotators, brake pads, and tires! They told me it was the "weather" when I had been complaining of squealing and other noises from the first 2 months on out. Then it was making more whistling sound towards the back that they for a long time couldn't figure out what was going on, turned out it was some other part of the tires/rotors or something, again NOT covered by anything??

How can a car have that many issues and it's blamed on the weather? So you're telling me FORDS cannot survive winter weather in New England? Then why sell them in NE. Firstly I am a FORD all the way girl never bought anything else in the 3 cars I had and the 3 trucks my husband had, had some issues but never anything like this on a brand new SUV! I constantly felt a "jutting" feeling when braking at certain speeds, shaking at certain speeds before and after the rotor etc changes, but it was just a sticky something or other no problem?!?

By beginning of 2014 I was driving in slight traffic downtown and all of a sudden the car overheated and died on the side of the road, smoke everywhere and leaking fluids everywhere.. We let it cool for about 4 hours and was able to drive it again. They were "unsure" what would have caused that? IT'S A BRAND NEW SUV!!! And yes we did all rotations, oil changes, etc on the mark when we were supposed to. Yet somehow nothing was ever covered and nothing was at fault of the car and the way it was built! Bringing a car in for the same issue 3-4x? That should be criminal on a new 40k vehicle! Needless to say after the new SUV dying in the middle of town I traded it in for a Toyota highlander who backs their cars! Never ever thought I'd go Toyota but I wouldn't change in a heartbeat, not ONE issue with the car yet besides a gas cap button and they fixed it immediately - no cost to me! Ridiculous. Will never buy Ford again! :(

My company provided a 2013 Ford Explorer as a company car. I used it for three years and put 85,000 miles on the vehicle. I decided to purchase the vehicle from the leasing company to give it to my college aged son. I was also getting a strong exhaust smell in the cabin which was happening for several months before the noise started.

The day I titled the car in my name, a loud pinging sound/puttering sound developed in the engine compartment. I took it to the dealer and found out that the exhaust manifold separated from the engine and it developed an exhaust leak. It cost $965 to repair. I asked the Dealer and called Ford Motor Company to ask if they would cover the repair. I was told the warranty ended at 80K for the exhaust and there was nothing they could do. Ford said to hold on to the receipt if there is a recall they would reimburse me.

Researching this issue online, I see there is a class action lawsuit against Ford for exhaust in the cabin. Many other posts about this similar issue. Clearly there is a manufacturing defect in the exhaust system that Ford knows about but is unwilling to correct. It's been a good vehicle and I have a new 2016 model, but I'm extremely disappointed in Ford for not taking care of this issue. Especially because if I took it back to them a month earlier, it still would have been under warranty.

Purchased a 2016 Ford Explorer and within the first 200 miles had a very loud clunking in the front suspension. Brought to the dealer and they stated this is normal, all the new Explorers do it and they are waiting for Ford to determine what the repair is. Called Ford service and stated the problem and what the dealer said and ask to speak to someone concerning this. The response was they can give me their legal department phone number and would not do anything to help me. The vehicle has 3000 miles on it and the clunk is so bad now I do not feel safe driving it and now when braking the front end pulls hard to the left. Called Ford and the dealer and they will do nothing. Not even look at it.

I'm getting exhaust fumes in the cabin of the SUV when I accelerate to enter the Freeway. Since the SUV is brand new I figured it was new car burn-off but it wasn't. I'm still getting the smell and yesterday I got a notice that there is a class action lawsuit against Ford for not repairing the SUV. My research show many with the same problem going back as far as 2011 and now I'm looking at months of repairs if any.

I purchased my 2013 Explorer Limited. I drove it for a couple of weeks without issues but noticed a noise when I would drive East and West down the highway. I called Sam Pack Ford Lewisville where this unit was purchased new. I advised my new service advisor Mike of the issue. Told him that this is coming from the windshield. Mike thought this was odd but said they would check it out. Turns out that the windshield had to be re-sealed. All was good for some time before the car had more issues. The radio system would go blank and then turn on or back off without noticed. Took it back in for service and they couldn't find anything. Then the A/C would cool correctly and then this was resolved. Time has passed again with no issues until my mirror started to click when I folded them in. Called to make an appointment to have it replaced. Took an act of congress to have this replaced but Ford fixed it.

I had been so frustrated with Ford that I filed a complaint with them. It seems every time that I turned around something new would break. Mind you this vehicle is still under warranty. The dealership advised they would look at the issues after Ford contacted them. Issue was resolved but my frustration was gaining steam. The next time I took the car in for service was a squeal coming from the sunroof. When you would retract the sunroof mess to see out, the retraction of this would squeal. Call the dealership to have this fixed. The normal service advisor Mike was going on vacation to a foreign country. Another team member was working his tickets/jobs while out. He said that it can take a few days but will let me know. Called and told me the track need to be replaced and will call when done I picked up the car and drove off.

Then some time later the other mirror started to click like the drivers side. Called Ford and complain about this and how many things keep breaking. Again, took an act of congress to have this replaced but Ford fixed. Once this was fixed I started to notice a rattle in my door area like plastic was rubbing. Call once again to get this fix. The service guy said that they would get an interior tech on it. Called once again and filed a complaint with Ford. This car was driving me nuts with all the issues. I and the service advisor drove the car a few days later when I went to pick this up to find the issues hasn't been fixed.

When I called Ford again about the issues that advised me, the Sam Pack Service manager drove with me and I was very happy. I never drove with anyone other than the service advisor. The manager told Ford to have me take my car somewhere else. They were not going to look at it anymore. I then took this to Sam Pack Ford Carrollton to have them look at the issue. Still today the rattle is not fixed and both mirrors need to be replaced once again. The car has 48K miles and not only is it having an issue with the front end somewhere but I just had to have the AC fix. They told me a rock hit it and put a small hole in the line. Still can't get Ford to buy this POS back from me..

My 2012 Ford Explorer started having bubbling around the edges of the hood in June of 2014. At the time I had 75,000 miles, therefore out of warranty. I asked my dealer to file a claim and Ford's response was they would pay half of the the $600 repair. In my opinion this is a manufacturers defect. With today's technologies and manufacturing capabilities we are getting paint bubbling in two years! I like my Explorer but I am not pleased with Ford not taking care of this issue.

Ford Explorer Company Profile