2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.74/5

The Ford Explorer has been a popular SUV since it debuted in 1991. Read more Ford reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Ford Explorer Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ford Explorer?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ford Explorer?

Original review: Dec. 21, 2019

The Ford Explorer has to be the best vehicle I've ever owned. This is my third one and no regrets whatsoever. Ford continues to offer safe, affordable, and comfortable vehicles. The Explorer is excellent in snow and ice. Where I live, most roads in the winter are covered with one and/or the other, but no worries with the Explorer. If you have to take a long trip, it is so comfortable....it almost drives by itself. I hate long trips, but find I am at my destination in no time! I would highly recommend an Explorer! There is a reason why our State Troopers in Maine drive them!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

After being a General Motors customer for almost all of my adult life and with the bad experience with the last two Chevrolet trucks of bad transmission and bad air conditioning problems on both vehicles even while in warranty and with the same problems just as they went out of warranty I finally had enough. I am now in my second Ford. On both of the Ford automobiles I have had nothing but very positive experience. On one of my Ford’s it was just out of warranty, I had a small problem with the air conditioner. I carried it to the dealership that I bought it from. They repaired the problem and even though it was about two thousand out of warranty and when I went to pickup my car, they didn’t charge me anything. The service advisor stated that they would take care if it!

Get buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

This is the second Ford Explorer that I have owned. I absolutely love it! The way it drives and handles make it so easy to handle on the road and in town. I love how convenient the back gate is when loading things from groceries to suitcases, to extra teens. The improvements in the Navigation system make getting from one spot to another very easy, even in the most complex directions. It is luxury in an SUV and is my most very favorite car I have ever owned! (I had a Mercedes before this, and the Explorer outshines it in every way!)

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

My husband and I have owned 2 Explorers. We eventually sold our first one with 300,000 miles on it to a relative who continues to drive it now. My husband drives over 54 miles each way each day to work. His Explorer has 256,000 plus miles on it. We plan to keep it until 300,000 or more. We have had no major issues with these vehicles. Other than routine maintenance, we have had perfect service from both Explorers. They ride exceptionally well on long trips. We DO keep all basic car care seriously. We always change our oil, check tires, breaks, batteries, etc... and replace as needed. The dependability is extra important for me as a woman. I work full time as an educator with a prosthetic leg that goes above my knee. That means getting stranded is extra stressful. We would absolutely recommend these vehicles. I drive a Ford Escape so I can attest the the dependability of these types of SUVs.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

Ford Explorer Excellent vehicles. From European to Americans. I started racing (drag) cars when I was 18. I am familiars with mechanics and keeping a vehicle in good running conditions. In my late 40's I move from dragging to the sea. So I needed a vehicle strong enough to move my boat around and get it out of of the water in not so good ramps. In 1998 I got my first Explorer XLT, which is still in service, with my brother in Puerto Rico. Later I got another Explorer EB 2010 that is my main vehicle at present. In nine years of service the only problem I have experience is with the thermostat once. I do regular maintenance in all my vehicles. My wife drives a Ford Explorer 2016. We are pleased with our Ford's', reliable, and good millage. Thanks.

Original review: July 13, 2020

I have had my Ford Explorer for three years with 50,000 miles on it it’s a 2017 sport we paid $60,000 for it. Every single piece of my trim on the car is popping off and when I reported it to the dealership they told me to call Ford service and as I did that they said that they would only pay $155 of my $750 bill to replace the trim on the front of my car because a piece flew off when I was driving. Then when I wanted to escalate it and speak to a supervisor a supervisor called me back the next day and said she would pay $500. Then the following day another supervisor called and said that was a mistake.

I escalated to talk to somebody else and that supervisor told me "too bad we made a mistake - you either take the $155 or you take nothing." Ford really disappointed me. My car is only three years old and yes I’m over the 36,000 miles but they should back their product. I have had seven recalls on my car and I’ve now had to buy double-sided tape to fix the other trim. And the trim for the windshield we’re buying the pieces online. I’m gonna watch a YouTube video to fix it and it’s only gonna cost us $100. Thank you Ford for not backing up on your product yet more than my recalls was for trim so I guess only some trim is recalled but not all.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2019

I love the 2018 Ford Explorer. It's great in poor weather. The only negative I can really say is the blind spots when attempting to get into oncoming traffic or backing up. The camera is helpful but doesn't provide the information right away.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

I had previously owned 1995 Explorer. Had major transmission problems. Ford reimbursed small amount for the repairs. Unfortunately the second Explorer now owns. With same problems. No responses from Ford.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

The explorer is very comfortable and easy to drive. The gas mileage for a combination of city and travel is over 23 miles per gallon. The seats are very comfortable. The heated steering wheel is great. I recommend the Explorer.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

Great looking vehicle. Workmanship not up to Japanese or German cars. A little under powered. 4WD not great. Front seat very good. Good interior room.Visibility good. Brakes excellent. No garage door opener included.

Ford Explorer Company Information