2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

Shop on Rydeshopper
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.92/5

The Ford Explorer has been a popular SUV since it debuted in 1991. Read more Ford reviews to learn about other models.

Search local inventory and find your next vehicle on Rydeshopper.com

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You
        Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Ford Explorer Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ford Explorer?
        How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ford Explorer?

Original review: Aug. 15, 2020

Recently I had an issue with the rubber gasket underneath the front windshield pillar molding. The gasket came loose and then tore and broke. When I searched for a replacement I discovered that side windshield pillar molding failures on the Ford Explorer are common and that Ford has not issued a recall. Further investigation indicated the cost for ford to replace the part may be over $900. How can ford in good faith charge owners for a design defect? Very disappointed that this was not disclosed when purchasing my vehicle since this was reported as early as 2013 (and maybe earlier models).

Original review: July 13, 2020

I have had my Ford Explorer for three years with 50,000 miles on it it’s a 2017 sport we paid $60,000 for it. Every single piece of my trim on the car is popping off and when I reported it to the dealership they told me to call Ford service and as I did that they said that they would only pay $155 of my $750 bill to replace the trim on the front of my car because a piece flew off when I was driving. Then when I wanted to escalate it and speak to a supervisor a supervisor called me back the next day and said she would pay $500. Then the following day another supervisor called and said that was a mistake.

I escalated to talk to somebody else and that supervisor told me "too bad we made a mistake - you either take the $155 or you take nothing." Ford really disappointed me. My car is only three years old and yes I’m over the 36,000 miles but they should back their product. I have had seven recalls on my car and I’ve now had to buy double-sided tape to fix the other trim. And the trim for the windshield we’re buying the pieces online. I’m gonna watch a YouTube video to fix it and it’s only gonna cost us $100. Thank you Ford for not backing up on your product yet more than my recalls was for trim so I guess only some trim is recalled but not all.

Get buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2019

I love the 2018 Ford Explorer. It's great in poor weather. The only negative I can really say is the blind spots when attempting to get into oncoming traffic or backing up. The camera is helpful but doesn't provide the information right away.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2019

The Ford Explorer has to be the best vehicle I've ever owned. This is my third one and no regrets whatsoever. Ford continues to offer safe, affordable, and comfortable vehicles. The Explorer is excellent in snow and ice. Where I live, most roads in the winter are covered with one and/or the other, but no worries with the Explorer. If you have to take a long trip, it is so comfortable....it almost drives by itself. I hate long trips, but find I am at my destination in no time! I would highly recommend an Explorer! There is a reason why our State Troopers in Maine drive them!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

I had previously owned 1995 Explorer. Had major transmission problems. Ford reimbursed small amount for the repairs. Unfortunately the second Explorer now owns. With same problems. No responses from Ford.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

The explorer is very comfortable and easy to drive. The gas mileage for a combination of city and travel is over 23 miles per gallon. The seats are very comfortable. The heated steering wheel is great. I recommend the Explorer.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

Great looking vehicle. Workmanship not up to Japanese or German cars. A little under powered. 4WD not great. Front seat very good. Good interior room.Visibility good. Brakes excellent. No garage door opener included.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

The 2020 has been completely renovated. Has enough safety features to keep you and everyone safe. Pre-collision alert, parking rear and front alerts, huge and easy to use display for phone, GPS, backup camera, audio, etc. Even comes with Ford Alexa which makes it so easy to make calls, ask for directions, play your play list and on and on. Love the massaging, heated and cooled passenger and driver seats. Very comfortable rider and comfortable seats. Great driving modes - slippery, normal, sport, eco, deep snow, etc. Awesome moon roof. Love the pull up shades on the back seat windows.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

My Ford Explorer is probably favorite because of reliability and comfort. It also has the power I need plus decent mileage. My greatest concern is safety for my family. I feel like we Are in good hands.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

The SUV has 125,000 miles on it and feels like it has 500,000. It's a rough ride, and its suspension is weak. It's not a comfortable vehicle and is stressful on the back. The vehicle is a Police Utility model. Now I see why so many police officers complain of back problems from driving them.

Ford Explorer Company Information