3.67/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Ford Explorer

The Ford Explorer has been a popular SUV since it debuted in 1991. Read more Ford reviews to learn about other models.

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Ford Explorer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 21, 2019

I purchased my 2013 Ford Explorer in 2015 with no issues or damage. In 2017 maybe I noticed paint chipping around my hood and no place else. Fast forward to 2019 and it's gotten worse. I have made several complaints to Ford Motor Corporate office and have case numbers for each. After all that still no resolution. Had I reviewed videos and read comments online about Ford paint problems I never would have purchased a Ford vehicle. I have had several vehicles but never one with a paint chipping issue and Ford refuses to resolve it. There is an actual YouTube video of one of the plants employee admitting to Ford receiving a bad batch of paint. I will never purchase another Ford vehicle again.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

I purchased a pre-owned 2016 Ford Explorer Platinum with 38,000 miles. Within the first 2 months I started experiencing significant issues with the vehicle. The battery would not hold a charge, was being overcharged by possibly the alternator and/or voltage regulator. I took it in to be check for this issue as well as transmission issues. I was sent back home with the vehicle after it was checked being told that nothing was wrong. The battery exploded from being overcharged, just a few days later. Acid everywhere under the hood causing additional damage and could have caused a fire in my garage.

The transmission issues that I am experiencing are as follows: Harsh Reverse (back-up) bump, that can both be heard and felt. Downhill descent metal on metal grinding. Improper shifting, Rapidly shifting into a lower gear at higher rates of speed. Front-end rolling bump. 4 wheel drive not working. Sensors going off for no reason. Wipers coming on without rain. Rear-end Suspension recall. Airbag recall. Mirrors sticking and clicking. Memory not working. Trunk assist not working. I am getting a complete runaround from Modern Ford. Denied a loaner so that I can continue to have a vehicle for work.

After reading these reviews, I AGREE THAT A CLASS ACTION SUIT NEEDS TO BE FILED!!!! I do not understand how people can afford to make car payments while being charged for extreme repair cost and/or left with the inconvenience of no vehicle. We own several Fords and this one has become an absolute nightmare! After reading all of these reviews I have come to realize that a lot of these issues are very dangerous. I have contacted the dealership, the dealerships corporate office (Modern of NC), the Ford Corporation, the finance company, the warranty company and an attorney. Please think twice before purchasing a Ford and DO NOT buy from any Modern Dealership, in NC. They are beyond rude and obnoxious!!

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 30, 2019

Shortly after obtaining my new 2019 Ford Explorer sport I noticed that when using the horn in a traffic alert to another driver, that the horn was so low and no volume that the other vehicle could not hear it. I investigated it when I got home and found the horn positioned just behind the grill and easily seen. I found one horn, a bracket for two horns and a space for two. I brought the Explorer into first oil change and told service Ford forgot to install the other horn. Mahwah NJ Ford was amazed at the discovery who contacted Ford. Ford told them they could not do anything, it's the way it is. The dealer gave me a phone number at Ford to try to correct, I set up a file to the service which got back to me about two days later saying they would not do anything. I reported this to NHTSA.

Original review: July 27, 2019

This is a great vehicle in almost every way except for the water pump design. Just know that most water pumps fail after 100,000 miles. Our Porsche Cayenne water pump failed at about 140,000 miles and cost $1300 to replace including labor. Recently our Ford Explorer water pump failed at $135,000 miles and cost $2,672 to replace! Twice the cost on the Porsche! Why, because it is in the engine behind the timing chain requiring removing the engine and replacing the water pump and timing chain. Ford, how could you be this stupid!

Original review: May 8, 2019

The tailgate foot lift system is not just a simple "put your foot under the rear of the vehicle" - #1 - you have to have the key fob in your pocket (how many women have pockets for a key fob?) and even then I have to try several times to hit the right spot. It is much easier to just use the key fob to open the tailgate. I have purchased Lincoln/Ford products for years in order to have the keyless entry system so that I do not carry the keys since I am in & out of my car often so do not carry a purse or have pockets for keys. In this Ford Explorer, you cannot leave the keys in the car since that will not allow you to lock the car. So then what is the purpose of the keyless entry? Big inconvenience. I wish that I had never purchased this vehicle.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ford Explorer?

Original review: April 23, 2019

I had a 2016 Ford Explorer. On 3/21/19 I was involved in a small accident and it immediately caught fire and my airbag was smoking. I sat for a minute in shock and thankfully my daughter and I escaped safely. My Explorer was fully engulfed in flames and totally burned up. I lost a lot in my vehicle that was not covered by insurance. It was a terrifying experience. I did really like my explorer until then but safety is my #1 priority. I have called Ford multiple times and they will not investigate. There were no recalls on my vehicle. I would not recommend getting one! I want to prevent this from happening to others.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Bought my car a year ago, certified pre-owned. Covered under powertrain warranty up to 100,000 miles. It has been nothing but trouble. Explorer has been in the garage multiple times. It was in the shop in October for 3 weeks- mechanic told me he thought it needed a new engine, but Ford wouldn't replace it (keep in mind this is a Ford certified garage). March- took it to the garage again because it was making noises- they couldn't find anything wrong with it. A week later it breaks down while I'm 4 hours from my home.

That Ford dealership doesn't look at it for an entire week; identified the issue and fixed it the next day. However they called me to tell me as they were fixing it they broke something else so that part will not be in until 4 days later. 5 days later I call them back and they tell me that Ford will not pay beyond my 5 days rental as is in my CPO warranty. They didn't even look at my car for 7 days then they broke it again. Calling Ford customer service was not helpful at all. I called three times; not one representative would get me a manager even though I asked for one repeatedly. The first rep told me that they would open a case for me but it would take several days to process and then they'd tell me whether they would pay for the extended rental. I should not have to pay for Ford's mistakes. I will NEVER buy another Ford. Worst customer service ever.

Original review: April 1, 2019

Faulty transmission and airbags. I have a 2016 Ford Explorer that I've had nothing but problems with. I just took it in for a faulty transmission. Wrench sign came on saying it was the power train. 71k miles, 11k over the warranty for a power train issue. I should not be having these kinds of issues with a car that is less than 4 years old and has less than 75k miles on it. Ford, get it together. We want to buy American made cars but not if this is going to happen. $5,500 fix on a 3 year old car is ridiculous!!!

Original review: March 22, 2019

Bought a brand new Explorer from local Dealer in 2012, only to have the paint start popping off hood less than 5 years and 55k miles later, due to (faulty application when originally painted by Ford) quoted to me by Service Manager at dealership. I just was wanting this touched up and fixed. They gave me the runaround for over a month. Very Disappointed at Ford for not standing behind their American made car and taking care of a customer who spent a lot of money with them...

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I have a 2016 Ford Explorer. I bought this vehicle new. It was a lease. After 30 months the steering rack completely locks up. I was over on the miles by a few thousand. Ford refused to fix at their cost so I had to pay. I did some research and found this is common on a lot of Fords. Should be recalled but Ford refused to cover or repair their faulty part that was junk from day one. If you buy a vehicle with power asst electronic steering think before you buy. It may cost you 1900$ like it did me. Ford won’t stand behind their junk parts. I will never by a Ford.

Ford Explorer Company Information