Chevy Impala

Compare Car Models

Research top Car Models recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Bought new Impala LTZ in June 2013. At 60,000 in February 2016, heard loud roaring noise from rear. Take the car in to the dealer and was told that the rear wheel bearings needed replacing. I asked what could cause that at 60,000 miles and was told I must have been running over a lot of pot holes. Excuse me! Nonetheless, I was highly upset at the remark at this point more than anything. I told the serviceman that I would let them know about fixing my car. I was so angry that I went to the Ford dealer next door and purchased a 2015 Ford Taurus. I drove the 2015 Taurus back to the Chevy Dealer and made the salesman who sold me the car and the finance guy that this should have never happened, they are sealed bearings. I turned in my warranty and gap for a refund and I do not want another Chevy after this experience.

I don't know why these service guys think people don't know anything about cars. I also contacted GM, who contacted the dealership management, who tried to contact me, but a fix was not going to satisfy me and I was disappointed with this car that I liked so well. I got and was consistently getting good reviews on how the car looked. I also experienced steam from the radiator every time it rained or when I went to the car wash. I was told that it was a design issue. Experienced a loud noise when both back windows were down while on the road. It was deafening. I am 6'2, 325 lbs and yes, I had difficulty getting in/out. The 2014 was the best styling Impala LTZ in my book, but too many issues took away the enjoyment. I had 2 Ford Taurus's (13 and 15) and just traded the 13 in for a 16 Ford Fusion. Ford's have a better powertrain anyway. So long Chevy, it was a slice.

I have 2013 Chevy Impala and for those who are having issue with the ABS light and the traction control. Or when you're turning left or right you hear a strange noise. It actually could be the harness. That's what the dealership told me. One year my right harness was bad and I had it change. Then the lights came on again and the left harness was bad as well a year later. It wasn't cheap but I had it fixed and I haven't had any issues since. Hope this helps.

I bought the 2012 Chevy Impala LT at 54,000 miles. At 57,000 I had to have both front wheel barrings and the CV joint replaced. The engine does run fine with the exception that it has a sound that does not appear to be normal, like a lifter is not even. I had the oil changed, tire rotation. I see that most service stations put 32 psi max in the tires. The door indicated 30 psi and that when I changed it made a relative smooth ride. There does appear to have a slight rattle sound in the back end. I thought it might be the exhaust hangers, but a mechanic drove it and he says it's the cups on the top of the rear shocks. I will probably have to replace them both soon.

Is there a Recall. I just bought this 2013 Chevy Impala at 78,000mi. At 83,000, the ABS and traction lights is blinking and when I turn left I hear noise from wheel. What do I do? Who knows how to fix this?

First of all do a lot of web research. I bought a 2009 Impala last year for my daughter. I told the dealer it was for a female student and needed to be reliable. They sold us a car with 135,000 on it and said those engines will just keep on going. Yeah, we have "just kept going" back and forth to the dealers shop ever since.

These cars, especially 2009ish, have major front end problems, MAJOR BRAKE ROTOR problems, and major TRANSMISSION solenoid problems causing the transmission to slam into gear. In one site alone I found almost 600 complaints about the transmission. For the front brakes always causing horrible pulsations, I discovered that Chevy factory rotors are worthless and should NOT be recut or replaced at the dealer. I had to buy aftermarket semi-race rotors and pads, and my brake problems went away. Now I'm at battle over the transmission that acts like it's a clutch car and slams into gear. This is a KNOWN DEFECT that GM won't address! The rotors are a known problem. There are other very dangerous problems KNOWN to GM such as the engine losing power while being driven which has almost caused deaths.

I don't see much help for anyone except to start class action suits. File complaints with the transportation safety board!! The more the complaints, the more likely to get something done. I can verify my ownership with documentation but do not have it at hand at the time of this writing -- will add it when I can. I bought the car at Hubbard Chevrolet in Canby, Oregon.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chevrolet?

Was driving down the freeway in my Impala SS and all of a sudden there was a loud clicking from my dash. So loud that it scared me and I swerved almost hitting another car. Got home and researched that many people have had this same problem with the Actuator. I called GM corporate and they have no one I can speak to in regards to safety. I told them my problem amongst others having the same issue (also causing accidents because of the sudden loud noise) and they said they couldn't help me out and to take it to a dealer to have them check it out.

We all know that's how dealerships make their money....on the mechanical back end. I know what the problem is and I just wanted to address my safety concerns. How come this hasn't been recalled.....this is a huge safety issue; not only for those who own an Impala, but for others that could be part of the accident caused by this malfunction while on the road. Why didn't they have a safety team they could transfer me to? Instead they felt annoyed and hung up on me. Thanks GM!

We bought our 2009 Chevrolet Impala ls 3.5 Ltr. V6 cyl. New at CrossRoads Chevrolet in Vinita Ok. We had a passenger side window which would scrape when rolling down or up. They told us it was we weren't keeping the inside of door cleaned. It was cleaned repeatedly and we were scolded several times. We took it to a different dealership and were told there was a memo from G.M. The windows were faulty and to repair it at no charge but only when a customer complained. We had trouble with air bag on passenger side seat. We were told over and over it was because it was dirty. The transmission first started slipping under 12,000 miles, but it never did it when they would test drive it and they said there was nothing they could do. We had trouble with steering. We first noticed it would pull to right. Took it to service they told us it was suppose to do that to keep from hitting on going traffic.

Later there was a noise in steering Column. They replaced a part in column. After driving awhile it started again. I took it back to service they replaced part of my column. That didn't work so they replaced my column and had it aligned. We were still having trouble with front end and steering. We complained again they wouldn't help us. We got a call from Chevrolet corp. office and they said they would not go any further with that steering column they done all they're going to do and that car had warranty.

After going thru several sets of tires and alignments we took it to another certified dealer and he told us that we had a bad rack & pinion and that was why we had so many problems. I feel Chevrolet owes us for all the tires and out of pocket money we spent be for getting this fixed. We still own this car, now it has other issues going on. My rpm will drop suddenly and it will die while driving it. And sometimes after starting it it sounds like it is still turning over to start over and over. We have change the cranking sensor, maf sensor. I don't feel like it is safe to drive not skipping when this will happen. What is going on?

We purchased a new 2015 Impala. The sound system is impossible. It is supposed to be a touch screen, but the touch screen doesn't work. Dealer called the company and told GM what the trouble was, was told to be sure to move the screen in a black area, dealer sat in the car and showed me how it worked, but guess what? It didn't work. Also the interface and organization is impossible. I've poured through the manual but still it's confusing. When trying to add new stations, an array with 9 stations to add can be moved up, but the array blocks the call letters of the station currently playing. Honestly, it's like whoever designed it was not sober. Awful, awful design.

When turning to the left, my car has this horrible scrubbing sound and has hesitated when I am changing lanes from the right to the left lane. This hesitation can be problematic if it causes me to be hit in the side because my car won't go. The traction control light will sometimes light up but doesn't stay on. I have looked for recalls in this matter but have found none. However, I have found several identical complaints.

I received a letter several months ago from GM saying there was a chance my 2011 Chevy Impala had a faulty sensor that could cause my car to lose engine power and traction. They were not going to replace the sensor unless I had a problem. Driving to work at 4 a.m. alarms and warnings started going off telling me I was losing engine power and traction. When I called a Chevy dealer, they told me there were a hundred reasons why that could happen and they will only pay for repairs if the computer in my car recorded the error code for that sensor. The charge for inspecting my car was $100 and I would have to pay that if the right error code wasn't recorded on my computer. Luckily the right error code showed up. This was very scary! Why was no recall issued? Losing power on a freeway could be deadly! Is GM rolling the dice hoping there are no fatalities?

Problems with 2009 Chevy Impala SS. I bought this car used, with 53,000 miles on it in September 2012. I've had to replace the AC Blend Door Actuators on both sides twice (myself) and now the center one needs replaced - can't get to that one since the dash has to come out to get to it and just can't afford the cost of labor to replace a $45 part. The passenger heated seat quit working after owning it about a year, the lights in the vanity mirror on the driver's side quit working about the same time. (Not a fuse problem, nor bulb problem, apparently an electrical issue). Passenger side airbag sensor is out - not sure what caused that but causes the warning light to stay on - has been for about 3 years. Transmission started slipping around 90,000 miles - have it serviced and maintained as it calls for. Now today on my way to work the "StabiliTrak" warning came on.

The car started shaking almost violently then the warning light came on, along with "reduced power" alert. I pulled to the side of the road and shut the car off. Walked around it, kicked the tires (mostly out of anger and frustration), got back in and the problem was gone. And the only recall on this car is for the ignition/key? If so many complaints about the actuators and the warning lights (which on a freeway is VERY much a hazard to immediately lose power) why are there no recalls on these problems?? I love my car, but it is becoming a drain. It now has 103,000 miles on it, still looks pristine, however I'm losing faith in Chevrolet. Now I know why my Dad was always a Ford man. I've never been a dedicated "fan" to any make - just as long as I can get from point A to point B safely, I don't care what it is, but with the price of this car and all the hype about the "number 1 rated make" has me questioning the validity of their claim.

I knew since before the 06 redesign that I wanted an Impala and I was able to get a 2011 in 2012. I kept up with the scheduled maintenance and had the goal to make it to over 200,000 miles. The transmission was flushed on time by 100,000 miles and it still failed by 136,000 miles. Now that I have the transmission replaced I have been treated to the lights on the instrument cluster being illuminated airbag light, traction control and abs. To make matters worse with the lights on showing these troubles the depreciation is down to $1500 on a car that I still owe $7000 on. It's sad to consider that this car has not reached 150,000 miles and yet I have other branded vehicles that have done it with no trouble.

2008 Impala hasn't hit 50000 miles yet. General maintenance and upkeep done regularly. Changed 3 of the 5 blend door actuators. Now one is clicking again. Not sure if it's one that's already been replaced or a different one. Also rear locks no longer work at all. They must be done manually. This is the big one: since last year it started, engine power reduced. I was told it was gas cap, so replaced cap. 6 months later engine power reduced appears again!!! Does Chevy not realize how dangerous this can be? Already contacted them. Apparently they don't want to help me. Due to age of car. I say bs!! I can understand if it had umpteen million miles on it, but it doesn't. Should have a recall. From all I read it seems like a common issue and it's dangerous!!! I can't add receipt due to car given to me by my mom who no longer felt comfortable driving.

I bought a 2011 Impala less than 2 months ago. When I got it home I noticed a clunk in the front end. I had it in the shop 4 times. They replaced the wheel bearing and the front struts and the noise was still there. Each mechanic advised me that the noise was not a serious issue and we would have to wait until it got worse to find out what it was. Well a week ago I put my car in reverse and went to go forward and my transmission locked up. Come to find out all the late model Impala's transmissions are going bad right around 100,000 miles. GM refuses to offer anyone any relief or to issue a recall.

I have owned at least 10 GM vehicles and most of them went over 200,000 miles and still ran when I sold them. 4 GM to know they have this problem and keep those cars on the road without doing something is nothing less than criminal. They need to do something soon if they want any of us to keep buying GM vehicles. But in the meantime don't let any of your friends buy a late model Impala without proof the transmission was recently replaced or rebuilt.

So, I've perused through this forum and found several people describe the exact same thing I'm now experiencing with my 2013 Impala LT. I've noticed lately that going from reverse to drive, or from park to drive, the first movement forward will occasionally have my traction control light come on. It also happened during a slow speed left turn in a parking lot last night. Feels like the transmission is slipping so I get off the gas and slowly get back into it and we're rolling fine again. I'm about to take a road trip and now I'm a little nervous to take her out on this road trip. I know the power train is still under warranty until next August, but I don't want to end up stranded with my two kids in the Mojave desert. If this is a known issue, why doesn't Chevy recall this and fix it? Is it going to take more deaths before acting on it like it did with the ignition issue? Come on Chevy, you're better than that.

Very sad about my 2012 Impala LTZ Currently 52740 miles. Things that broke before 36k warranty ran out: Sway bar stabilizer link pin broke 3 times - I do not 4x4 my Impala. Driver's window issue, clunking loudly. Before 40k it needed new rack, pump and lines for power steering. Since then it has had both front wheel bearings to "fix" 2 separate stabilitrack issues. Put fix in quotes because after the front driver was replaced it needed a wiring harness as well to completely cure stabilitrack issue. Currently driver's window is clunking again. There is some sort of clunk in the drivetrain and the transmission intermittently slips from a stop. Very sad because I really like the car.

Traction control light comes on every time I start my car and makes a loud sound like a airplane. When the car accelerates my wheel doesn't spin. The check engine light comes on and off. I think it's some type of electrical issue. GM needs to recall on Chevy Impalas.

The same problem happened on our 2010 Impala. My husband is taking the battery out freight now. We have had so many problems with this car, it is ridiculous. It has less than 50000 miles!! We have had to replace windows 4 times. Twice on the driver's side. There is a loud ticking sound whenever we start the car. Not the first time that has happened either! The dealer want $300+ just to diagnose the problem. This is crazy, THE CAR HAS LESS THAN 50000 MILES. We are senior citizens, and have a strict budget, so what can we do? Actually, GM what are you doing about this problem. It is indeed a safety issue and the manufacturer is responsible. Why has there not been a recall? So much for buying American!

I own a 2012 Impala LS for 2 years now and I've noticed a lot of people are having a stability control issue. I had that problem one time and found out it had to do with the battery on my Impala. The 2012 Impala doesn't come with a battery gauge on the dashboard to notify you when your battery could be losing charge or might even need to be changed. In my own Impala when I started receiving that message I took to the mechanic and found out that the battery had been in the car since it had been built in the factory... I also found out that the battery needs to be strong enough to push every point that's needed to push the engine. A lower battery would still cause the message to appear and the car to shake because it's not strong enough to push the stability control and other things.

I experienced a lot of different things when my battery was bad that all happened at once since I have changed the battery at 44,000 miles. I haven't had no other problems with my Impala and I'm now at 70,000. She's still going strong... Hopefully this can help out a few people with a few of the issues they’re having with their Impala. I’ve had 3 in my life and they all 3 have been my most dependable. Also do your research on the vehicle before you purchase it like get repair receipts or history reports so you know the car has been taken care of. Most people don't even care about that then purchased a used vehicle that's been dogged out by half the United States… and yes with just that many low miles it can be done... Be smart. Good luck.

Though the representatives at the dealership where I frequent is very affable, the car is nothing but a headache. I purchased a 2014 LTZ Impala in August of 2013 with 3000 miles. Since then, I've gotten about 7 recall notices, I've had standing water and mold in my trunk due to a manufactures defect, I've had to replace both front blinker lights, my sensors for my tire pressure were just calibrated at 37,000 miles because no one at the dealership noticed that they were incorrect even though I took my car there for all services, I need two new tires because my tires were bald at 30,000 miles and I also need new rotors. Now, this is the only car that I've ever had to have all of these items replaced in less than 3 years. Not to mention, this is the most expensive of all of my cars with a price tag of 39,000. My dealership asked me if I had my tires rotated during services. I replied, "Did I? You were the ones that performed my service!"

It seems odd for a 39,000 care to need new tires at around 30,000 miles. Now, today, a new issue arose, my engine light came on along with the stabilitrak sensor. After looking at this page and many other Impala reviews, I see that this is another Impala issue. I will be very surprised to hear the dealership's reason for the lights, for I called and I was told that there are many reasons for these lights to come on, and I have an appointment in two days. The car shakes when I am idle or driving slowly. It also stutters when I start the car. I am so angry because I actually suggested this car to people. A friend of mine even purchased the same vehicle I have. I regret ever suggesting it. Again, put your money in a good car, and spending 39,000 on a vehicle means that I should not have to spend more money fixing issues that shouldn't have occurred. This is my second and final Chevrolet.

I bought my 2011 Impala in 2012 and it had only 39,000 miles on it. Right at about 96,000 miles in late 2015, the car started jerking when trying to accelerate after stopping at a stop sign or traffic light. Knowing my warranty was about to expire, I took it to the dealership asking them to check the transmission because it seems like the problem had something to do with that. The car would not duplicate the jerking, so they sent me away telling me they couldn't identify the problem. Basically, that I would have to let the problem get worse in order for them to identify.

Of course, now, at 105, 000 miles and out of warranty, when I am at complete stop and start to accelerate, the car stalls for about 5 seconds, then just jumps into first gear. Almost like someone has hit me from behind. I took it to a couple of transmission shops who said that it a tranny issue. Trans fluid was dark and had clutch material in it. Now, I will be out of almost 2000.00 to have the tranny rebuilt. I did contact GM corporate and they did absolutely nothing. They referred me back to the dealership I took the car to last November and of course they refused to assist.

I bought a 2011 Impala with 30,000 miles on it at 80,000. This became a problem. The dealership fixed it at 149,000 same problem, car shut down had to be towed. At 200,000 same problem car shut down had to be towed. At 260,000 same problem. They had a new part for it, my problem is I've paid for this part three times out of my own pocket I'm very upset that the recall finally came about and they will not even reimburse me for one. I am a traveling nurse so that's why my mileage is so high this part seems to go out every 60,000 miles it is not safe and it is a big problem.

My daughter bought a 2001 Chevy impala 6 cylinder few months ago. She was so excited. But yesterday she left work, almost made it home and her car stalled. So she started back up and when she put it in drive nothing happened. What could it be?

My check engine light is on, I fix the problem but check engine light is still on. My radio come and goes when I turn on the car, I have to give it gas for it to stay on. My not happy with the Impala at all.

I bought this beautiful vehicle in March with only 14 miles. Approximately 5 months after purchase, I began having trouble with the engine and Stabilitrak system. While traveling on the highway my check engine and traction light illuminated simultaneously. I was also alerted that "engine power was reduced" and my vehicle would not accelerate when pressing the gas pedal. I took my vehicle to the dealership for repairs and was informed that one of my fuel pumps had stopped working and the problem was corrected.

In September while traveling on the highway my check engine and traction light again illuminated simultaneously. I was alerted that "engine power was reduced" and my vehicle would not accelerate when pressing the gas pedal. I took my vehicle back and wiring in the fuel pump area was repaired. In October the same issue! Fuel pump was replaced AGAIN. GM refused to buy back stating this isn't causing safety issues despite being in a compromising position 3 times with an infant in the car. They offered an accessory certificate. I declined. They offered another impala.. declined. Research shows this to be an ongoing issue. This has been a nightmare.

About 2-3 months ago my 2013 Impala LTZ felt like my left front tire was slipping, like on sand or ice, when I would turn left out of a parking spot and the traction control light would blink a few times and quit once I straighten out. It only happens on left turns after being parked for a few hours. I took it to a repair shop and it never gave a code and I was unable to make it happen for the repairman. I am worried that it will damage my tire plus it keeps getting worse each time it happens. It feels like the left tire is locked up when I make a left turn. I agree with the many others that this needs to have a recall on it.

2014 Impala transmission issues. Pulled out on the highway where everyone is driving 55+ mph and luckily pulled into the turning lane first. Car acted like it went into neutral and wouldn't go anywhere for a couple second. Luckily I did turn into the turning lane or I would have gotten hit!

I have a 2003 Chevy, Impala and I have problems with it. The ABS light is on, the Traction light is on and it's revving around 2,500 to 3,000 RPMs. So I took it in to garage and they ran codes and replaced two sensors. OK, I brought it home and next few days engine light comes on. Take it again. This time they keep it 4 days and said they replaced a bad sensor they put on... So I leave and now we are up to $600... Well here we go again. Engine light again, and surging so I take it back and they keep it and call me up and I go get it. $100 later and they gutted out the catalytic converter!! So I didn't know any better and I leave and now I have high revving, fumes and engine light is on. Took it back and I told them I want the converter back on. I am getting sick with the fumes.

They said "OK" and get out a paper and I said "What is this going to cost me?" And he said... "I don't know yet until we get back there!" Well I didn't take it back... This is my only way to work and I am scared to death to drive it very far and to top it off it now stalls out whenever!! I don't have the money for all this! I am a young widow... I will NEVER buy Chevy again and for me to say that takes a lot. It's almost all I have had!

I just traded my 2010 Impala off for this 2014 model. Wow what a mistake. Obviously these new ones have hundreds of written reviews about the StabiliTrak systems having issues. Gee mine started it today and Chevy acts like they are surprised and never heard of this issue! Right if you simply go and read the reviews they can plainly see many others are having the same issue. Why in hell have they not done a recall on them. Oh because they are hiding the truth that they knew and know it's going on. Do your jobs and send out the recall before you lose many customers that love the Impala. This is my third and final one if this continues. I'M NOT HAPPY! Now you want to play the warranty bull crap on a 42,000 car. Seriously wow.

I found out after taking my 11 Chevy Impala to a independent shop that the engine wiring harness is faulty which is causing the Stabilitrak and the engine power down to go off. It's also the cause of the car to sputter and shake. I have went on many forums and complaint websites and found the same problem across the country which is why I paid for all the testing. Everyone needs to contact the NHTSA so we can get this made to a recall. I myself like all of you have fought GM on this with no help on their end. I hope this helps!

Chevy Impala Company Profile