Chevrolet

Compare Car Brands

Research top Car Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I purchased my 2011 Chevy Traverse to accommodate my growing family. We liked our car and the room. Soon after buying our car we went about 6000 miles and noticed our AC was blowing cold then went to blowing hot. The driver side dash makes a weird tossing sound. The transmission when in drive on hills, let's you roll back. Even in park the vehicle still rolls. It's hard to deal with when cars are close and the car just wants to roll back.

I have read and read the reviews about the transmission and about being hesitant to go after you make a stop at sign or light. My 2015 Chevrolet truck does that and has 26,000 miles on it. Brought it in and was told that it's normal and there is NOTHING they can do about it. My uncle has the exact same truck brand new and it does not do the same thing as mine. I told that to the service tech and his exact response was, "He got lucky!!!" Jerk!! I was so upset about that. Have had no help with this. I am scared when driving my truck because it could cause an accident or something. And ALL you get from our local Chevy service people is, "There is NOTHING we can do." Unacceptable!! I wish I never bought this truck!! I have paid off 4 Chevy Silverados and NEVER had this issue. What is there to do next?

I own a 2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer SS. While I was driving down the highway in Chicago Illinois at approx 55 mph the vehicle self accelerated to the maximum throttle position (pedal went to the floor). I could not get the vehicle to stop. Applied both feet to brake pedal while moving like a bullet. The vehicle suddenly lost power and I lost control of the vehicle spinning me around at approx 80 mph and crashing into the median wall now facing on coming traffic with cars trying to avoid crashing into me. Most horrific and scariest experience in my life. Not a single airbag deployed leaving me with serious injuries and a completely totaled vehicle! When I contacted GM to complain about this issue they told me they would escalate my complaint and someone would contact me within 24 hours.

However a week went by and no one has called to follow up, apologize, and or even offer concern and I contacted them every day after the accident. I was constantly told the same story "someone would be in touch"! This happened February 22, 2017. As a loyal GM customer I am highly upset!! And will never purchase another GM product as long as I live! I have owned nothing but GM my entire life but never again. This company cares nothing about life whatsoever. They only care about the almighty dollar! After doing research I found several complaint about this unintended acceleration issue as well as no airbag deployment. Only by the grace of god I am alive today! Shame on you GM. You have lost a customer for life and I will tell the world how selfish and inconsiderate you are about caring, about quality of your cars, as well standing up for your mistakes!

I could have killed my family as well as other families in the process and they won't even recall the vehicles to prevent further crisis situations. They won't do so until many families have died and it cost more to pay the claims than to recall the vehicles. As a 701 union mechanic I would be ashamed to even be employed by this so called manufacturer! Owner beware. If you own a Chevrolet Trailblazer get park it now and get rid of it! Don't take it to be service. They will most likely turn you around and say your vehicle is fine! Salvage that vehicle and do your research before you buy anything else!

I have had issue after issue with this 2010 Traverse and it's to a point where my mechanic has no idea what is continuing to cause it. I almost got into an accident! With no warning, the traction control shuts off, service StabiliTrak, service traction control, engine power is reduced messages flash, then the vehicle slows abruptly and won't go over 20mph. Mechanic replaced 4 sensors and a wheel bearing thinking those were causing the disconnect. And it happened again today! I nearly caused an accident because of the abrupt power reduction. Spoke with Chevrolet who said they wouldn't do anything about it other than set me up an appointment with the local dealership, all at my expense. I feel scared to drive my daughter in this vehicle!

A friend of mine told me I should contact ConsumerAffairs about all the issues I've been having with my 2010 CHEV EQUINOX. At this point I don't feel safe driving the vehicle because of the numerous recalls and manifold/motor replacements since I purchased it a few years back. The local GMC dealership in Sydney NS refuses to help me any longer with reoccurring exhaust/manifold issues that has been addressed many times in the past. It now produces a very bad sour smell inside my car especially when warming it up and I'm afraid that even if I replace it at my own cost ($1200 + estimate parts and labor), it will happen again.

I have to drive my wife to work every day. This is winter and I have to open the windows which is not an ideal situation in Feb! A couple of mechanic friends of mine said that GM never really figured out the proper fitting/issue with the manifold. It keeps overheating or something and warps causing it to leak exhaust into the vehicle... Unsafe conditions for me and my family!!

I have called GM Client Care regarding getting it fixed properly recently in Jan 2017 but after speaking with higher-ups, apparently it's like 10K over the emissions warranty. By the way, the service manager at the local GM dealership in Sydney said I was within the emissions warranty that would expire at 190K (right now it's at 140K), and he would try to get the manifold replaced if the catalytic converter, which connects to the manifold, was gone... Apparently the catalytic converter is not gone so the work will not be covered? It's all really confusing at this point. I am stuck with another year and a half of payments at $175 biweekly, very costly to me, and I seem to be driving an unsafe vehicle and no one will help. I mean this vehicle is a 2010 and as it stands, never had a chance right out of the blocks... Too many issues to mention, although I've listed many below.

I'm hoping you can help or point me in the right direction to either getting this manifold and associated parts fixed or get the vehicle recalled altogether and a have them replace it with something of equal value... Or give me the Blue Book value ($11,000 roughly) and I would buy a brand new vehicle from GM, or whoever. Like I said I'm not sure what to do. I just really want it fixed, but I'll take anything that is fair at this point.

My brief maintenance history. 50, 000 kilometers - motor replaced, 75,000 kilometers - manifold and O2 Sensor replaced, 110,000 kilometers - manifold and O2 Sensor replaced again, 140,000 kilometers - manifold and O2 Sensor needs replacing again. Since 2012 I have been sent over a dozen recall notices from exhaust, excessive oil consumption, rough starting, to wiper motor replaces, to rust on the driver doors, etc, etc.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chevrolet?

Purchased a 2012 Chevy Suburban on Feb 4, 2012. Current mileage is approx. 19,170. Where should I start? The buying experience was of course easy and welcoming. However after that everything went downhill. The first problem I experienced was I found a lease paper in the truck with someone name on it. I do not know if I still have this paper or not. However the mileage in and out was not disclosed on the paper. I was told the vehicle had 10 miles on it. When I left the dealership and upon finding these papers I checked the trucks mileage it stated the truck had 160 miles on it not 10. I let it slide.

The next issue was the metal piece inside the body stripping was rusting through the rubber. Rust was oozing out of this body stripping on all four doors. The truck was only 1 year old. I took the truck to the dealership I had purchased from. The service personnel at the dealership told me this isn't the rust belt nothing rust here it is just dirty water all Suburbans gets dirty water there. Knowing he was being smart I took the truck to a body shop.

The body shop took photos and said this is warranty work. When the guy pulled the molding apart rusty water spewed out at him. I stated, "Try getting that done down at Chevy so I want you to fix it." He stated he would be glad to fix it but he wouldn't charge me he would charge Chevy since it was warranty work and each of these door strips cost 120 dollars plus. He said he would call me. Several hours later my phone was blowing up with calls from the dealer. Come to find out the dealership doesn't have a body shop and that shop does paint and body work for them.

Well Chevy reps were going crazy. They asked me to bring the truck in to inspect it again. So I did. The manager of the service department stated to me, "I could blame this on you but you take too good care of this truck." He was infuriated with me to say the least. I told him what his employee said to me and he was even more livid. It took a total of 3 to 4 weeks before they called me with the new molding to install in the truck. After all that nonsense a year later that molding was also starting to rust. This is because Chevy doesn't seal the molding and there is a slit where the piece join and water gets down in there from washing the truck and such.

The next issue I was having troubles {and still do} with my tranny getting up to 195 degree temps driving in the city in the summer. I do not tow with this truck. The running temps of these trannys are 175. These Suburbans run hot. So I decided I would order an auxiliary external tranny cooler. When I went to the same dealership to get it installed I sat there for 4 hours before they came and told me, "The part wouldn't fit we tried every way possible to get it to fit and it won't." "Why were you trying to force the wrong part to fit my truck," I asked. They didn't respond.

Come to find out these Suburbans can take two different tyranny coolers one cheaper and the one for my truck a whopping 374 dollars.The cheaper one is about 100 dollars. That's not including installation. I said forget it and walked off. One time I had looked up a part online and it stated the sale price and the normal price. When I went to that dealership they did not charge me the sale price but the full price for a part that was on sale.

The next issue we had a cold winter in 2014/15 and the beginning of 2015 my OEM battery died. I called Chevy roadside they were the best so far. The truck being under extended warranty major guard a 2500 dollar warranty. Knowing it did not cover the battery but I had to go to the dealership to get the truck serviced because of warranty. I called the dealer and they were too busy to put a battery in my truck. There is only 2 Chevy dealers in town and both stink. So I digress I drove the truck the next 6 days on that jump then it died again.

Chevy roadside came out again and jumped it told me the cells were about all dead. I drove to that same dealer. Meanwhile my volts were jumping everywhere from 17 down to 13 up to 16 down to 12. I was scared the truck was going to shut off. At the dealership the service rep said that battery wasn't under warranty and I agreed since the bumper to bumper was expired. I asked for a ACDelco gold to be installed. A 200 dollar battery. The dealer was having a battery sale so it was a little cheaper. Sitting in the waiting room, I had been up for 20 hours, the same guy comes and tells me the mechanic thinks the battery is under warranty so we are trying to charge it.

That shows you how these people treat warranty work. Trying to recharge a battery that over half the cells are dead it's not a wise move. I snapped at the guy and said, "Hey I thought we agreed that battery isn't under warranty and I asked for a new battery so why wasn't it put in so I can go?" Finally after 3 long hours I got the new battery. It's weird because every time Chevy roadside sends someone to jump my truck they look for the battery on the driver's side and when not finding it there think someone stole my battery.

My battery is located on the passenger side and I have an empty slot for a second battery. So I'm wondering if these trucks need two batteries when towing. I digress. That was the last time I went to that dealership. Since I have replaced my OEM battery my truck has other problems. My daytime running lamps work off and on. Two months don't work then one magical week will. Another problem when I turn my A/C on this terrible "vrrr" noise from under the hood and my volts plummet very quickly.

I just sit and watch the volts plummet down to 12. I have to turn off the A/C then the volts go back up. Other times there is a 50/50 chance the volts will either read 14.2 or they rise up to 16. Before the OEM battery went out my volts always read 14.2. Now GM tries to tell me the voltage regulator isn't correct? It read 14.2 for three years. It's correct. I guess another battery is being fried. I can go to the store, park, turn off, come back out 40 minutes later turn on and automatically the volts are 16 and will stay there the whole 30 minute trip home. No phone or laptop charging etc. So there is no extra load on the voltage regulator. Come out the next day turn on and drive the volts will be 14.2.Next trip volts are soaring.

So I went to GMC. I told them about it. I asked them to check my alternator. After checking the alternator they told me there was nothing wrong with it and they said there is a TSB on these trucks that they will do this. I called Chevy themselves and Chevy asked for my VIN number. I gave it and Chevy said that the TSB was not attached to my VIN. So remember TSBs are attached to VIN numbers and not all models. This is what Chevy told me. However Chevy did nothing to help me with either one of their dealerships to get these problems fixed.

I had enough of their lack of customer service. They only seem to care about getting that 50,000. They don't make them like they used to. Right after my bumper to bumper expired in 2015, after that cold snap, I noticed I have the infamous cracked dash. On the left side of my passenger airbag. Then just this January after the temps got down to 28 I noticed one night my dash was bowed inward and had actually came apart from its own seam. The part by the windshield is now loose. It appears to me these dashes cannot take temperature fluctuations.

My dash had contracted from the cold and was literally bowed downward to where I could easily place my finger under the dash part by the windshield. This part of my dash contains a sensor I believe it's for the lights on the truck. I read on the internet that apparently at one time Chevy was trying to blame the dashes cracking because people using Armor all. Well Chevy I got some news for you I DO NOT USE Armor all. I pay the 16 to 18 bucks plus tax for the ACDelco tire dressing.

A Wisconsin lawsuit alleges GM knows about this defect. According to the suit, GM hired a company to see if common cleaning products like Armor all were to blame. See I buy GM products to clean a GM product. I use the detailer, carpet cleaner and this ACDelco tire dressing all are sold at the dealerships. These products did not keep my dash from cracking nor my running boards fading to gray. So which is defective their dashes or their cleaning products? Buyer beware!

The Chevy dealerships and the one GMC I dealt with were kissing face to get that paper in their hand but when business got real they never helped me get my truck fixed. Don't let Chevy tell you that your dash is cracking cause Armor all. I purchase about 2 to 3 bottles of this Tire Dressing stuff a year plus use a sun visor. The product does not keep running boards from fading and cannot keep a defective dash from cracking. It's good for leather seats though. So I use GM product that states will help prevent dashes from cracking and my dash cracks and splits and comes apart. Now a new dash plus labor around 1300 for a replacement 2007 2012 dash.

The same dash? Thing will crack again probably and if it does then I would have spent 433.33 a year for three years before the cracks return or 260 a year for 5 years before the dash cracks again. That's more a year for a dash than regular maintenance. If it was a 20,000 dollar automobile I would expect such things. Chevy always brags about exquisite quality. This is not that at all. Too much heartache, grief and nonsense over this truck and its needs. I have included photos. One of them you will see the body molding and if you look closely you can see a rust line on the paint coming from it.

88865221 - GM/AC Delco Vinyl, Rubber and Tire Dressing - 16 oz. This product is an interior and exterior vinyl, rubber, tire and plastic cleaner, conditioner, and protectant. The product is a non-greasy, premium conditioner that provides outstanding long lasting shine and protection to all tire, rubber, vinyl, and leather surfaces. The products water based formula leaves surfaces shiny, protected and dry-to-the touch. The rich pH balanced conditioning formula penetrates beyond the surface to help rejuvenate and maintain pliability and integrity of the covering. It is specially formulated with ultraviolet blocking agents to help keep surfaces from cracking, fading and hardening, defending them against the harmful rays of the sun.

Chevy reps and employees have been extremely rude and arrogant towards me. I cannot get my truck fixed with the 2500 dollar warranty I bought from Chevy since the dealerships throw a fuss about warranty work and don't seem to like to do so. This ACDelco tire dressing did not prevent or help prevent my dash from cracking nor keep my running boards from fading to grey. This truck seems to have some sort of electrical problem and I don't trust driving it anymore. I do not recommend paying 50,000 for this truck. If Consumer Affairs would like to see anymore photos or receipts please let me know. Thank you.

Having a warranty on a Chevy is joke, My engine locked up on my 2013 Chevy Equinox. I had all my service that showed I took car of all my scheduled maintenance. But they would not fix the problem, also they acted like they investigated it but they didn't. They couldn't even tell me when the last time I had an oil change.

Consumer Increased Rating!

I have a 2012 Chevy Sonic that I bought certified preowned with 32,000 miles. Along with the CPO warranty it came with the remainder of the 5yr/100,000 mile powertrain which expired January 7, 2017. The morning of January 6th, the low oil pressure came on and the car started running badly. I had it towed to the dealer where I always had my oil changed along with other work done, including the head and head gasket being replaced at 40,000 miles, and the thermostat just a few weeks ago. Later that day after being towed to their service department they called and said the oil pressure is fine, the car was running bad because the air intake hose had holes in it and needed replaced. After replacing that I was told the car was good to go and ready to pick up.

So, I drove it home and as soon as I park the car in my drive way, the low oil pressure light comes back on. The car jerked pretty hard and then stalled out. By this time the service department was closed so I called back first thing the next morning. The service adviser said it's still under powertrain warranty so they'll tow it in for free and get me a rental. So a week later they call and tell me a valve seized up in the engine and oil isn't getting to the top of the motor. It's non-serviceable and the whole engine needs replaced. The adviser said they have to wait to hear from Chevy to see what they are going to cover.

Turns out they are only covering 60% of the $6900 they quoted to have it replaced although it broke while under warranty... We called the Chevy customer care department and the resolution they offered us after talking with the dealers service manager was still 60% coverage leaving us responsible for $2700 for something that failed under warranty. After sending certified letters to the owner of the dealer and the general manager, explaining the situation, with my receipt from the 6th which clearly states the problem I had it towed in for (after breaking down twice in the same day for the same problem... then towed back to them the next day), and proof of warranty expiration from my GM warranty tracker, I still have have not heard anything.

I just recently leased a brand new Cruze from the dealer and am now getting the run around from them and Chevy. Am I missing something? Or does this seem as ridiculous to everyone else as it does to me? The 2012 Chevy powertrain warranty states under engine coverage that all internally lubricated parts are covered and any malfunctions within 5 years will be fixed or replaced at no cost.

This car (2017 Spark) sucks. The user manual is terrible, doesn't explain many things like how to store a radio station, use the rear seat belts. I can't find a way to connect the seat belts in the back seat. No leg room, radio is complicated to operate and is distracting when trying to switch bands/station while driving. Don't go to this dealership. Find another. No car dealer is honest, but there must be better. I regret going there and getting this car.

First 2015 Chevrolet Dually Duramax shut down in Sept 2016. Driver fueled up, drove about 20 to 40 miles, truck's fuel filter light came on, truck stopped on interstate. As of 01/09/2017, truck is not fixable and still in shop. Loan company have called to come get it. I cannot fix it and cannot pay for it. This is one of three trucks I have for running freight on flatbeds. My trucks have to run to make payments. Second 2015 Chevrolet Dually Duramax shut down in the exact same manner, right down to fueling and driving a little way, and stopping. Metal shavings found in fuel system. This will put my small trucking business out of business. "NOTE" Both trucks bought at the same time, from same dealer, and drove off the lot the same day.

I had an experience at a Chevrolet Dealership this past Friday morning 12/9/2016 at around 8 am that I have never had in my life. I was floored by the way I was treated. On my way to Jacksonville FL from Lagrange, Ga my car began to hesitate and sputter. I was in the middle of nowhere and it was still dark outside. I was 24 miles from the nearest town and Chevy dealership. I putted into that town and made it to the Chevy dealership service department. I went in and told them that I have a 2002 Chevy Prizm with 240,000 miles and it's hesitating and sputtering when I accelerate.

The service writer looked at his coworker at the desk beside him and they laughed. He looks at me and says "your car is too old and has too many miles so we cannot even look at it". I said "you can't even look at it?" He said "we won't look at it." He then gave me a card of a 3rd party mechanic in town and told me that the guy there should be able to take care of it for me. I have had this vehicle for 14 years and have been a Chevy customer for 14 years. I have never before experienced anything like this. What can be done?

It gets me where I need to go, no matter what the weather. It goes in summer and winter with no problems. When a Dodge truck got stuck in the driveway in winter my husband use the Chevrolet to push it out. Even though it sat for a long time before being bought it needed very little done to it. It has always been dependable.

I have driven Chevrolet Trucks for years and they have been very dependable and have required very little repairs. I have horses and have hauled to many horse events. They have wonderful power for hauling and I have never had one break down when hauling. They are also very comfortable.

Have not had a major problem with this truck since I purchased it in 2009. I have a 2009 Chevy Colorado Truck. It runs smooth after 62,000 miles with no tune up. Love the on-star feature... no engine problems, handles very well on the road, feels and sounds like you going 50 miles per hr when you are actually going 70mph even now. Of course I keep the oil change and do regular maintenance on the car. My husband bought this truck new because he wanted something that a female could drive due to its midsize. He died a yr later and I decided to keep the truck and sell my car... Best decision I ever made.

The build quality seems to be good but not perfect. The same with performance. I love the Chevy Volt. The battery gives us enough range on a full charge to get almost anywhere during the average day. It's quiet and runs smoothly with lots of power. There have been problems, of course. While the software is generally great, the entertainment center software had big problems. Software updates have helped a lot. And, we had a problem where the transmission control unit short-circuited. That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

Like most auto manufacturers Chevy has lowered the quality of their engineering and increased the cost of their automobiles. Chevrolet is my favorite American brand automobile, but because they have outsourced so much of the parts that go into their vehicles, I think it gives way to a conflict of interest for the competition.

For the most part it's been a good car but we have had some issues. There have been some issues with the engine and with the a/c which I was not happy about at all. You shouldn't have problems like that with a new car. However, other than those it has been a good car, good price, and good gas mileage.

No vehicle is completely wonderful. But with the stop and go torture mine goes through it is real good. My Venture has tons of space for all my crafting supplies and even though it is 15 years old it gets at 20 miles per gallon and has good get up and go! Nice quiet, smooth ride and handles well in lousy weather.

My C7 is a wonderful car to drive, but it seems like every time I drove it something needs be replaced or repaired. Items replaced or repaired so far: radio, door release cable, engine belt tensioner, passenger seat handle, visor with built-in garage door opener, safety recall to reprogram something, engine makes rattling sounds at low speed. Now GM dealer Best Chevrolet says they need to go inside the engine and replace cams and lifters. The car only got around 10,000 miles. My experience with this new Corvette have been nothing but issues.

Until everything started going wrong with this car. When I got the car I was told right away that I need to get the two latest recalls one for the ignition switch and the other one was for the electronic power steering motor -- which was done without delay. One month after this one of my headlights started getting water damage and both of the bulbs stopped working (150$ repair). Right after this my driver side speaker stopped working (which makes the blinker noise - another 150$ repair).

The next issue that occurred was my whole power system unit stopped working (not even two months past getting the EPM recall fixed - 1200$ GM only repair) which resulted in them breaking my steering wheel cover (that they weren't trying to tell me about or fix). The steering wheel was crooked and didn't drive straight (told the GM dealership and there wasn't anything wrong with it supposedly). Reported this to the appreciate channels -- Chevy shouldn't be able to get away with this kind of malfunction when the problem was identical to the EPM malfunction. Of course, no recall or any form of help came of it. Not even one month later and my gear shifter it almost getting to the point where it won't go into gear (hard almost stuck like feeling to get it into position). Once again GM dealership says that there is nothing wrong with it.

Finally weeks after this issue my check engine light is on (yet to be diagnosis), have a feeling I'm not going to be happy with whatever is broken this time. I seriously hate this car so much and I have low mileage. My 04 Chevy cavalier (that was burning oil, and ran dry a few times) never gave me any problems and ran like a champ. I seriously hate this Cobalt and the Chevy dealership I've taken the cobalt to. As soon as I can I'm getting rid of this car and never ever going to buy another Chevy (it use to be the only brand I've ever bought but your newer models are lemons).

Chevy found a way to get their newer models to a certain mileage and then one by one everything stops working or malfunctions! I've never spend so much in one year on car repairs and they call the Cobalts sure money savers and even found a way for local news programs to market them like they are cherry cars. DO NOT BUY A COBALT OR ANY NEWER CHEVY MODEL-- YOU'RE GOING TO REGRET YOU EVER DID.

Chevrolet Company Profile