Save on Car Repairs

Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

116 Chevrolet Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 18, 2019

I bought my 2014 Chevy Malibu LT in March of 2015. I have had the car for approximately 4 years. It cost just under $30K. I love most of the features, the style and the ride. However I have had nothing but problems for the last 4 months. Now keep in mind I still have 2 years left on my car loan through GM Financial. I didn't opt for the extended warranty so everything I have to pay is out of pocket. First just barely over 50K miles the water pump goes out. $650 to get this fixed. Then a month later the battery goes out...another $400 to get it fixed.

Now last week check engine light comes on...my mechanic scans it. Comes up with P16CF. Intake Rocker Arm Solenoid Valve 2 control circuit. So through my research it looks like I need to replace the Rocker Arm Solenoid and hope that fixes the issue. The more I read about the issues that others are having with their Chevys and in particular the Malibus, the more it convinces me that I will not EVER BUY a Chevy again. I had a Hyundai Tiburon 2000 prior to buying the Malibu. I had over 140K miles on it and it was still going except for getting hit by a dump truck which insurance then totaled. I had very little trouble with this car and loved it. So I am going to back to Hyundai to a car I can actually rely on. Very disappointed. I suggest if you are in the market for a new or new/used car...pass Chevrolet by. They are not worth it.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I bought a 2015 Traverse LT with 25k miles on it in June 2016 from a dealerships. Now (as of April 2019) I have approximately 88k miles. It has been a complete piece of junk as compared to my Jeep Grand Cherokee. The Traverse AC system broke ($600) had a partial transmission failure ($2k) rear driveshaft needed to be replaced ($1k), front suspension had to be completely replaced ($1,600)... This car is poorly made and I deeply regret purchasing it. In addition the interior is cheap and the bottom of the front seat is coming apart. Super disappointed in this car. I intentionally bought an American made car and really wish I didn’t. Chevrolet should be ashamed of themselves.

Get expert buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 4, 2019

I purchased the 2019 Chevy Silverado Custom 4 door crew cab about 1 month ago. After seeing several of the other models and comparing the Trail Boss, the LTZ and others I went for what I thought was 1 grade below but, still above the work truck. The vehicle I wanted was being used by the dealer's fleet dept. After taking a quick peak of the outside they took the truck to clean while I went to close the deal. After a few days of driving I realized the center console did not even offer storage. The truck drives heavy and lacks some of the great features my base 2015 Ram truck offered. Last week I jumped in my friends 2018 Ford F-150 work truck and it blew my 1500 "custom" out of the water with features on the steering wheel and stereo that come standard. Chevy is nickel and diming their customers. I will never buy one again and can not wait to get rid of it!

Original review: March 30, 2019

Purchased a 2018 Cruze LT 4Dr new on 5/18/18. I have had zero problems, it now has 15,400 miles on it. Comfortable ride, adequate power from the 1.4L Turbo. Handles nicely and gets 40-42MPG on highway trips. Well equipped for the price with CarPlay, blind spot monitoring, power and heated seats. Would definitely recommend.

Original review: March 18, 2019

In 2015 I bought a brand new Chevy Sonic so that I would not have to put money into a car besides maintenance. Well since the car was under 2 years old I’ve been spending thousands of dollars and 1 part breaks every year for the last 3 years and GM refuses to do anything about it. They told me it’s cover, well the part is covered. Still that’s $55 but the labor is not which is over $400 dollars.

I’ve took my car in the shop because it continuously jerks. I spent about $1400 2 shop visit plus a new purge valve which they only charge me for the part because they missed it. (This is also the same valve that has broke for 3 years straight) But they said that’s why the car was still jerking. The valve was missing. But got it home it was doing the same thing but worst so I personally called GM to do something about their brand of car. Do you think they did anything? NO they direct me back to pay another Chevy dealership $160 for another diagnosis. I will never in my life support this business and I will make sure to tell all my family and friends to never buy a Chevy.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chevrolet?

Original review: March 11, 2019

Chevy sucks. Bought my 2016 Chevy Trax in September 2015. It's been well maintained. At the 59,000 mile mark, the steering wheel locks up and the engine powers down with no warning, ESC lights comes on and the car loses acceleration. Took it to 1 dealer who keeps it for 4 weeks when they figure it's a module. I brought it to my regular mechanic who has a relationship with another Chevy dealer so I could save on labor, they have it for ANOTHER 4 weeks. And still with the savings, it cost me $1120 for this repair on top of the $218 I paid for the original diagnostic.

I finally get the car back, have it for a day and it's the same problem! They replaced the battery, and STILL the problem is still occurring and the dealer cannot figure out what is wrong. This is Chevy's crappy product! Nothing in the normal wear and tear of car ownership should have me shelling out all this money when I bought it brand new and have had it for 3 1/2 years. I've made 3 car payments in the last 90 days and still don't have a car to drive. I WILL NEVER BUY A CHEVY AGAIN!

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

Reported problem: Full Charge mileage range reduction from 238 plus miles to ~156 miles. Courtesy Recall ** Loss of propulsion High Voltage Battery Without Notification. Complaint: The normal vehicle range of 238 miles is reduced 35% to 156 miles. After the courtesy recall the range was further reduced another 27% to 115 miles. GM acknowledges this reduction in range but is calling it normal. When the vehicle was delivered to Jack Evans for service, I reported the issue with decreased range. I noted that I drive ~150 miles round trip for work daily, with the decreased range I was unable to use the vehicle for the intended purpose as there was insufficient margin. I feared not being able to get home. The dealer agreed that the vehicle was reporting range of 157 miles with full charge but were unable to find any issue with the battery.

They contacted GM Technical support for advice and were provided no additional information on the problem. Sarah the Service Manager at Jack Evans told me that GM tech support advised her to report the issue on the invoice as “Customer Concern Not Reproducible” and the decreased range is due to customer driving conditions and connecting my Cellphone to the infotainment system, what I am seeing is normal. After completion of the courtesy recall the vehicle was connected to a charging station, with zero miles driven. On 50-degree day the full charge range decreased from 157 to 115 miles. The Service Manager again told me this is caused by my driving style and environmental settings. The reduction in range after the service recall happened with no changes to driving or environmental settings.

I was again advised to unplug my phone from the infotainment system as this could reduce range expectations. If I did not agree with the information presented, I should contact GM Customer Care. The dealer did not report the additional service recall related range reduction to GM Tech Support. GM Customer Care Case ** called in on 2/13/2019 was escalated to a Customer Care Manager. After receiving no further contact or status I contacted GM Customer Care on 2/21/2019. I was promised a status by end of the day. With nothing heard I again contacted GM Customer Care on 2/22/2019 only to be told I would be contacted in 2 or 3 business days. I asked to speak to a manager and was told that would also take 2 or 3 business days. I contacted GM Priority Care where I was forwarded to a Customer Care Manager. I was again told there is no problem with the vehicle.

After some time reviewing the record, we determined the information I had been providing was not being documented, such as the reduction in range after the service recall. I was also told that Jack Evans service department reported no problems with the vehicle. As noted above, Jack Evans service department told me that service code was at the direction of GM technical support. My dispute with GM Customer Care is based on GM advising Jack Evans on how to report an issue then telling me there is no problem based on what was reported by Jack Evans. Further background: I drive the vehicle ~150 miles daily, charging the vehicle every night for the next day. I drive the same path every day, my environmental settings are set for 70 degrees, heated seats and steering wheel heater set to off. From April to November my typical range exceeded the estimated range of 238 miles, more likely around 300 miles.

On the coldest day (5 degrees) with headlights on the reported range was ~185 miles, after 150 miles the system reported ~50 miles to go. The decreased range of 156 miles no longer allows me to use the vehicle for my daily work commute as intended. The further range reduction to 115 miles will not allow commuter use at all. General Motors Customer telling me the range reduction is normal when I know from experience this is a significant change from routine use is not acceptable. Usage and environmental settings are no longer an issue as I can no longer using the vehicle other than for errands. When I purchased this Chevy Bolt EV there were only two vehicle manufactures making an electric vehicle with a range above 200 miles between charges, one being Tesla, the other GM. With issues being reported and ignored by GM, there is only one remaining.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I have a 2013 Chevy Trax, recently I had trouble with losing power on a trip to the city. When I got to the city the check engine light came on. I checked the oil and it was down 3 litres. Which I bought and put in. I immediately brought the car to a trusted mechanic who informed me there is a special warranty on this, because it is a known problem, but I have to take it to a certified Chevy dealer to get it fixed. The problem is a PCV valve on the interchange cooler freezes off when temperatures go below -18. Well we live in Alberta so that’s a constant. Anyway because we took it to the other mechanic first the certified Chevy dealer refused to fix the problem stating, I can’t prove it. The ice is melted off. Never again will I buy any Chevy product, phoned their head office and more of the same runaround.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I only had my 2018 Chevy Trax for about 4 months when OnStar goes out. It makes my radio not function right and my volume goes full blast on its own. Chevy still hasn't come up with fix yet. This is not acceptable. They need fix it or do something to get me a vehicle that works right. The radio been replace once. Also OnStar is a very important safety feature that needs to work.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

This is a great car but the overall experience is marred by some petty greed. The car comes with the ability to remote start; check battery, location, lock unlock; etc. This all comes with a internet connection through AT&T. They want between $180 to $420 per year to keep this service active. That's absurd. My Ford provides these services free of charge. I understand that OnStar operators need to be paid but I am talking about basic tech services here. Is my car charged? When was it last driven? etc. I would love all that OnStar has to offer but I am unwilling to pay for it. Why can't Chevy provide basic informational services like Ford does for free?

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

50k SUV I can’t drive - We bought a brand new 2019 Tahoe LT in late October of this year. Around 3 weeks ago we started experiencing serious electrical issues with the vehicle. While trying to leave a store, got message of “reduced steering assist drive with care”. Vehicle would not go in reverse and steering wheel would not move so it had to be towed. Vehicle was working again at dealer and Dealership couldn’t replicate issue. Had it back one day and it started doing it again so we videoed it when it wasn’t functional and it went back to dealer. It’s been in and out of shop going on 3 weeks- longer than we have even owned the vehicle. It appears there is some sort of serious electrical issue with these vehicles and we are not sure the dealer will buy it back- which is what we want. Buyer beware.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

Worst car I have ever owned. Problem after problem. Just around 100,000 miles and already have replaced so much on this car. Thousands of dollars!!! Water pump, o2 sensor, spark plugs, coil packs, fuel injectors, engine valves, blower motor for AC, timing chain, front hub, goes through brakes and rotors almost yearly. Will tell everyone I know never to buy a Chevy!!!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

My 2019 Chevy High Country has been a nightmare. Within my 1 st week owning my High Country I began to experience transmission problems. It would shift very hard between gears 3-5 up and down. I got hold of my dealer, Reliable Chevrolet in Springfield Mo, informed them of the issue, a shop foreman took a ride with me and Agreed it was not right. We set an appointment for one week out, I thought this strange to wait a week for such a serious defect, the truck got much worse during the week. I then took truck in, after 2 days I called to check on it. The dealer had not even looked at the truck, I expressed my extreme displeasure in this, my truck is my work truck and need all my tools to do my job as a home builder. I then thought it important to contact Chevy, I called customer care, they opened a case # and said a specialist would call within two days, 3 & 1/2 days later they had still not called.

In the meantime I learned the truck I traded in was still at dealership, I called them and Chevy customer care and stated I am extremely unhappy with my brand new $65,000 truck having transmission issues within the first three weeks of ownership and wanted to unwind the deal. I would buy my old truck back and give them back their lemon truck that I had purchased, Reliable Chevrolet refused to not sell the trade truck, Chevy customer care, stated they would reach out to Reliable Chevrolet and see if they can help us get this resolved. In the meantime Reliable Chevrolet finally got my truck in to service and said it needed a brand new transmission. They contacted Chevrolet and they agreed and said they were shipping a new transmission. Would take 2 to 3 days for it to arrive & another day to install it.

I called in in three days later to check and see if they had received the transmission only to find out that Chevrolet engineers had change their mind and said it needed a modulator part to work correctly. I was very displeased because as stated above they told me to continue to drive the truck for a week, it’s smoked, I could smell the transmission oil burning, and the hardness of the shifting had to be doing permanent damage to the truck. I have been a loyal customer of Chevrolet, for all of my personal truck and my company vehicles for employees have been Chevrolet’s. In the last 10 years I’ve purchased 25 brand new Chevrolet trucks.

With my experience from this 2019 Chevrolet High Country, and the way I was treated by Reliable Chevrolet Springfield Missouri, and the very poor customer service from Chevy customer care who never did call me back until after week after Reliable Chevrolet returned my truck, I will never again purchased a Chevrolet vehicle or deal with Reliable Chevrolet in Springfield Missouri. My best advice is Buyer beware. My only voice With a large corporation like Chevrolet and this dealership which is very large in six states, is my buying power, they will no longer enjoy my business or have me or my company as customers, I have always spoken very highly of Chevrolet and actually argued with Ford owners about quality and service and brand loyalty, no more.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

Bought a brand new 2018 1.5L Malibu with 2 miles on it, have had extreme acceleration problems off and on everyday. It will have no power and sit at 3400 rpms even when the pedal is at WOT. Dealer can't duplicate the problem so we're stuck with it... Monitoring it thru the OBDII port I can see that there is little to no boost PSI on the turbo during acceleration when I'm having this issue. No check engine lights on at all and we now have 1700 miles on it and it hasn't stopped giving us issues.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

I purchased a new 2019 Chevy Volt that that almost every possible option installed in it. One of the options does not function as intended, and it was not disclosed by GM or the dealer that it would not function according to usual standards. The issues was reported to GM customer service, and they assigned the issue to a very rude person, who refused to do anything about the issue. GM apparently takes no responsibility for their dealers or the products that they sell and install in their vehicles. Unfortunately, it is an old story that GM has not learned anything from the loss of US sales to foreign car companies.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I have a 2013 Chevy Sonic that I purchased with 30,000 miles on it from the dealer. There was a recall on the car for the catalytic converter, saying high temperatures from the engine was melting internal components. Of course their fix was not to replace catalytic converters, but to reprogram the ECM running temperature. However they sent the recall slip to the wrong address and by the time I had gone to the dealer I already had a check engine light on, and they wanted 150 dollars to diagnose the problem. I had to get through emissions and get the light off so I went to the local Shell service station.

They informed me my catalytic was almost completely melted and malformed on the inside. I contacted Chevy and they said it needed to go to the dealer to get looked at and they would make an appointment, but after a week of no contact from them and a need for emissions so I could register my car, I brought it to Shell and had the work done. Then of course Chevy called and said there was nothing they could do because I had the work done elsewhere. Not offering catalytic converters to customers whose had melted, after acknowledging the ECM they set is causing the issue, is despicable. After spending 1000 dollars on a new car, a part that should never fail, they certainly lost a customer in me with their poor handling of this issue.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

Way to go Chevy for making sure your pockets stay padded while the rest of us have a car that’s spent more money fixing it than what they paid for it! I am up to almost $2500 in repair costs and have been without a car for 6 months. I have replaced the ENTIRE PCV system. The water pump, the terminal block fuse, the starter, engine oil cooler, sensors etc has been replaced and some have been replaced numerous times. It’s horrible how this is clearly a problem from the factory and a poorly designed system but yet Chevy has no fix, swears there’s nothing wrong, will not issue a recall, and are allowed to get away with it.

Don’t get me wrong because I always have and always will drive their vehicles and I’ve had no problems to date with any of the others I’ve owned. But this one sure has left a bad taste in my mouth and highly disappointed that they don’t care about our/my loyalty to their line. I loved the car except for all the issues. Once I get it back I have no choice but to try and get rid of it before the next 50,000 miles since that’s the average they last until the PCV system starts to fail again.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

Dropped car off for recalls to be fixed and now it won't start!!! Was told that I have to have it towed there and it was nothing that they did! My car was fine until they touched it! Furious I do not have triple A.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

My experience with Rick Hendrick Chevrolet could care less in repairing your car, made errors and cover up. Because of our posting of poor service they now refuse to service the car. Want return calls. GM seem not to help.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Took my Q80 in for a small paint defect. Infiniti said, "Bring it where you want" so we took in to our Chevrolet dealership in our town. They washed our vehicle and sprayed some kind of chemical on the rims. The rims (all 4) has streaks that rolling down all the rims. Which are discolored. Manager said they didn’t nothing wrong. By the way I have pictures of what they looked like before. What’s next? I’m NOT HAPPY!!!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

I bought a 2018 Colorado ZR2 in April. Last night the oil cooler line failed. I called Roadside and they towed my truck to the dealer for repair. This is a common issue from what I see on many forums. I called the dealer and they told me they don’t have the part and wouldn’t be able to get one from Denver until Tuesday. I then called GM customer service to find out what they can be done. My situation, I’m from Las Vegas and I had to drive to Lander Wy to help out my mother and father. My father has to have surgery Monday. Earlier this week my mother was hospitalized and needed help to take care of my father and get him to his appointment on Monday.

I drove up to help out and on Friday the oil line failed. I have to get him to his appointment and return to my family and job. I asked GM what could be done and they told me I could get a rental but I couldn’t leave the state. Expressed the gravity of the situation and they said they would have to get with the senior supervisor but he won’t be available until Monday. Unacceptable. He then told me he would patch me through to his supervisor and put me on hold. I have been on hold for an hour and a half so far. I have only owned GM products, this will be my last.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

It was a very dissatisfying experience at Kingdom Chevrolet in Chicago, IL. A 2018 Chevy Camaro 1LT was advertised as $17,695 on their website and seeing that I called Kingdom Chevy and confirmed the car availability and price. They were affirmative for both. I traveled all the way to their place for 2 hours and met the representative and he said there won't be any changes in the price and $17,695 is the final price plus TTL. We did the test drive and because the price was confirmed, I accepted for their credit run to know the APR that I will receive though I have an offer from bank. I gave all the confidential information and they ran my credit check.

Now the manager comes and say, the price on the website was including some rebates and he can offer the car for $25500. Manager started asking me if I am in military or a student or a teacher, etc. How could a customer browsing through the internet know if rebates are applied or not. I was thinking $17,695 is a right price as 2019 models are already on the roads and they are trying to get rid of 2018 models and hence the price. I do not have concern on Chevrolet brand but the dealership is fooling the customers with false prices on their website.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I DO NOT RECOMMEND GM AND WILL NOT BUY ANOTHER GM VEHICLE!!! I contacted Chevrolet reference ** concerning the maintenance department at the dealership I purchased the vehicle from (Battlefield Chevrolet). Their maintenance is poorly managed and not knowledgeable about products and services. It took over 3 weeks to get back to me and when they did finally get back to me they didn't even know why they were contacting me.

So anyway the customer service person was so incompetent. I asked her if she even worked for GM. She then refused to answer the question saying she didn't like the way I was asking her if she worked for GM so I hung up the phone. Contacted GM again about the issue and was told that they discussed it with the dealership and the issue was settled. So I asked to have another representative to get back to me but nothing yet. So know I don't have a place to get my vehicle serviced ref **. I don't recommend GM and I will not do business with them again.

Original review: July 30, 2018

I own a used 2004 Chevy Tracker. Up to now it’s been reliable. The body doesn’t have a spec of rust and the engine and transmission are still running strong. The issue I have is with the integrity of Chevrolet Motors. Recently while driving on the highway my left front wheel became unresponsive and the front end vibrated violently. My mechanic informed me that the front cross member/subframe had rotted out. After doing some research on the internet I discovered this is a known problem and the warranty was extended to 10 years or 150k mile.

When I contacted Chevrolet Customer Service to see if they would still honor the recall they refused because it was past the 10 year warranty. This is disturbing because it is a known and documented SAFETY defect. My realization is that Chevrolet still puts economics ahead of the safety of its drivers & passengers. So if you’re an advocate of Chevrolet please check the internet for any recalls or complaints for your vehicle model on a yearly basis because our safety appears not to be Chevrolet Motor’s priority.

Original review: July 26, 2018

I really love my Trax. It's roomy, but not too big or not too small. The seats are so comfortable and the sound system makes me "sit-down dance" in that seat! It's also a very dependable vehicle. I've had it for 2 1/2 years and it hasn't needed any maintenance other than the standard stuff. It still looks and feels brand new! It was love at first sight with this car. I love the lines because they give the vehicle a classy yet sporty look. The hatchback is wonderful when it comes to loading, and since it's covered, my stuff is protected from the sun AND the thieves! While I'm happy with it, I would like a bigger console storage compartment. Also, the USB plug-in is inside the glovebox, which doesn't work well for someone like me who keeps my phone charging at all times. It doesn't look pretty with that wire sticking out of my dashboard.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I love the Chevy truck me and my boyfriend have. It's safe overall and hasn't really had any major problems. The truck is easy to keep clean and haven't really had problems with it. We like the heated seats, how it looked. How it drove and I've always loved Chevys and will probably always buy them. The fact how safe it is and that it will be a great family truck and we will be able to give it to our daughter one day. However, I don't like how much parts cost to fix it but other than that my whole family loves it. We bought the truck lifted, so the tires and most everything else cost a lot to fix or replace but it still doesn't ruin the truck for me. I would totally recommend this truck to anyone or my family. It's going to be a great family truck when our little one comes in June.

Original review: July 24, 2018

So far so good, except when we had to replace the tires because they were dry rotting and a sensor needed to be replaced. Other than that the car is comfortable to drive and has good pickup speed for a four-cylinder. Also, seats are comfortable, mom was the one that chose it. She had seen and advertisement in the paper and wanted to go look at it. After test driving it, she asked me how I liked it, then she bought it. However, I don't like the fact that it is made in Canada, should have been made here in the USA. I also don't like having to reset the clock when daylight savings time goes into effect. Also would like a full-size spare tire instead of the donut.

Original review: July 22, 2018

I don't drive much but it's held up well despite being 15 years old now. It was a stylish car when purchased. I have had a good experience. It's been a sturdy and affordable car with only minimal repairs needed. This car has worked well for both city and country driving, for family trips and also as a great work car. Dependable, affordable to buy, to insure, and to repair, handles well during Iowa's four seasons. However, the body paint hadn't worn the best, car does show some rust. But it has worked ok for family but on the small side for use with car seats and booster seats.

Original review: July 21, 2018

The Chevy that I bought most recently has been a really good car so far. It does not take much gas to fill it up and once you fill it up it will for miles and miles before you have to fill up again. I also like the fact that it is small and you can park it just about anywhere and turn it around on a dime.

Original review: July 20, 2018

My Chevy is a sporty car and also known as a muscle car. They went away for quite a while and then the company decided to bring them back to compete in the market and it was successful. I like the overall sleek body and with all the curves. I had made a few upgrades myself and now the car looks amazing and is still very fun to drive. The color also makes the car look more mean and nasty. It is a low model though and not much of any features are in this car. I bought the base model because it was the cheapest option for me at the moment.

Chevrolet Company Information