Chevy Impala

Chevy Impala Reviews

About Chevy Impala

The Chevrolet Impala is a full-size car that was manufactured from 1958-1985, 1994-1996 and from 2000 until present. Read more Chevrolet reviews to learn about other models.

Chevy Impala Reviews

Stars Rating

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chevy Impala?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chevy Impala?

Reviewed Jan. 12, 2017

Had purchased this car from dealer for 13,000 last year. 2 months after buying you couldn't shift it outta park. Brought it to GM and they fixed it for 850.00. Now it just did it again. That's 2 times within a year of owning this lemon. GM should be responsible for their bad designs of wiring in these cars. If you are experiencing the same thing start complaining and hopefully someone will make them pay for their poor designs and hard working people can keep their hard earned money instead of paying for their mistakes all the time. If you know anyone looking at a Chevy Impala tell them to stay away from all. We have owned many and every year of make and model. Have nothing but electrical problems that costs hundreds into the thousands.

Reviewed Dec. 21, 2016

2014 Impala LT developed a whining noise in the rear. I took it in for service both rear wheel bearing bad at 40,000 miles. GM agreed to pay for the repairs but, this part should not be failing at this mileage.

Reviewed Dec. 21, 2016

I have a 2012 Chevy Impala LTZ. My car goes completely dead even though it states that I still have 60 miles left to go, and will not crank back up. I can put gasoline in it and it will crank back up but will go dead again around 60 miles left to go before empty. The dealership has replaced the fuel level sending sensor thing, to no avail. There is no code showing. The technicians are baffled. Anyone out there that have had the same problem with their car?

Reviewed Oct. 14, 2016

Bought new Impala LTZ in June 2013. At 60,000 in February 2016, heard loud roaring noise from rear. Take the car in to the dealer and was told that the rear wheel bearings needed replacing. I asked what could cause that at 60,000 miles and was told I must have been running over a lot of pot holes. Excuse me! Nonetheless, I was highly upset at the remark at this point more than anything. I told the serviceman that I would let them know about fixing my car. I was so angry that I went to the Ford dealer next door and purchased a 2015 Ford Taurus. I drove the 2015 Taurus back to the Chevy Dealer and made the salesman who sold me the car and the finance guy that this should have never happened, they are sealed bearings. I turned in my warranty and gap for a refund and I do not want another Chevy after this experience.

I don't know why these service guys think people don't know anything about cars. I also contacted GM, who contacted the dealership management, who tried to contact me, but a fix was not going to satisfy me and I was disappointed with this car that I liked so well. I got and was consistently getting good reviews on how the car looked. I also experienced steam from the radiator every time it rained or when I went to the car wash. I was told that it was a design issue. Experienced a loud noise when both back windows were down while on the road. It was deafening. I am 6'2, 325 lbs and yes, I had difficulty getting in/out. The 2014 was the best styling Impala LTZ in my book, but too many issues took away the enjoyment. I had 2 Ford Taurus's (13 and 15) and just traded the 13 in for a 16 Ford Fusion. Ford's have a better powertrain anyway. So long Chevy, it was a slice.

PricePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed Oct. 11, 2016

I have 2013 Chevy Impala and for those who are having issue with the ABS light and the traction control. Or when you're turning left or right you hear a strange noise. It actually could be the harness. That's what the dealership told me. One year my right harness was bad and I had it change. Then the lights came on again and the left harness was bad as well a year later. It wasn't cheap but I had it fixed and I haven't had any issues since. Hope this helps.

Profile pic of the author.

Reviewed Oct. 9, 2016

I bought the 2012 Chevy Impala LT at 54,000 miles. At 57,000 I had to have both front wheel barrings and the CV joint replaced. The engine does run fine with the exception that it has a sound that does not appear to be normal, like a lifter is not even. I had the oil changed, tire rotation. I see that most service stations put 32 psi max in the tires. The door indicated 30 psi and that when I changed it made a relative smooth ride. There does appear to have a slight rattle sound in the back end. I thought it might be the exhaust hangers, but a mechanic drove it and he says it's the cups on the top of the rear shocks. I will probably have to replace them both soon.

Reviewed Sept. 19, 2016

Is there a Recall. I just bought this 2013 Chevy Impala at 78,000mi. At 83,000, the ABS and traction lights is blinking and when I turn left I hear noise from wheel. What do I do? Who knows how to fix this?

Reviewed Sept. 12, 2016

First of all do a lot of web research. I bought a 2009 Impala last year for my daughter. I told the dealer it was for a female student and needed to be reliable. They sold us a car with 135,000 on it and said those engines will just keep on going. Yeah, we have "just kept going" back and forth to the dealers shop ever since.

These cars, especially 2009ish, have major front end problems, MAJOR BRAKE ROTOR problems, and major TRANSMISSION solenoid problems causing the transmission to slam into gear. In one site alone I found almost 600 complaints about the transmission. For the front brakes always causing horrible pulsations, I discovered that Chevy factory rotors are worthless and should NOT be recut or replaced at the dealer. I had to buy aftermarket semi-race rotors and pads, and my brake problems went away. Now I'm at battle over the transmission that acts like it's a clutch car and slams into gear. This is a KNOWN DEFECT that GM won't address! The rotors are a known problem. There are other very dangerous problems KNOWN to GM such as the engine losing power while being driven which has almost caused deaths.

I don't see much help for anyone except to start class action suits. File complaints with the transportation safety board!! The more the complaints, the more likely to get something done. I can verify my ownership with documentation but do not have it at hand at the time of this writing -- will add it when I can. I bought the car at Hubbard Chevrolet in Canby, Oregon.

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed Sept. 8, 2016

Was driving down the freeway in my Impala SS and all of a sudden there was a loud clicking from my dash. So loud that it scared me and I swerved almost hitting another car. Got home and researched that many people have had this same problem with the Actuator. I called GM corporate and they have no one I can speak to in regards to safety. I told them my problem amongst others having the same issue (also causing accidents because of the sudden loud noise) and they said they couldn't help me out and to take it to a dealer to have them check it out.

We all know that's how dealerships make their money....on the mechanical back end. I know what the problem is and I just wanted to address my safety concerns. How come this hasn't been recalled.....this is a huge safety issue; not only for those who own an Impala, but for others that could be part of the accident caused by this malfunction while on the road. Why didn't they have a safety team they could transfer me to? Instead they felt annoyed and hung up on me. Thanks GM!

Reviewed Sept. 5, 2016

We bought our 2009 Chevrolet Impala ls 3.5 Ltr. V6 cyl. New at CrossRoads Chevrolet in Vinita Ok. We had a passenger side window which would scrape when rolling down or up. They told us it was we weren't keeping the inside of door cleaned. It was cleaned repeatedly and we were scolded several times. We took it to a different dealership and were told there was a memo from G.M. The windows were faulty and to repair it at no charge but only when a customer complained. We had trouble with air bag on passenger side seat. We were told over and over it was because it was dirty. The transmission first started slipping under 12,000 miles, but it never did it when they would test drive it and they said there was nothing they could do. We had trouble with steering. We first noticed it would pull to right. Took it to service they told us it was suppose to do that to keep from hitting on going traffic.

Later there was a noise in steering Column. They replaced a part in column. After driving awhile it started again. I took it back to service they replaced part of my column. That didn't work so they replaced my column and had it aligned. We were still having trouble with front end and steering. We complained again they wouldn't help us. We got a call from Chevrolet corp. office and they said they would not go any further with that steering column they done all they're going to do and that car had warranty.

After going thru several sets of tires and alignments we took it to another certified dealer and he told us that we had a bad rack & pinion and that was why we had so many problems. I feel Chevrolet owes us for all the tires and out of pocket money we spent be for getting this fixed. We still own this car, now it has other issues going on. My rpm will drop suddenly and it will die while driving it. And sometimes after starting it it sounds like it is still turning over to start over and over. We have change the cranking sensor, maf sensor. I don't feel like it is safe to drive not skipping when this will happen. What is going on?

Reviewed Sept. 2, 2016

We purchased a new 2015 Impala. The sound system is impossible. It is supposed to be a touch screen, but the touch screen doesn't work. Dealer called the company and told GM what the trouble was, was told to be sure to move the screen in a black area, dealer sat in the car and showed me how it worked, but guess what? It didn't work. Also the interface and organization is impossible. I've poured through the manual but still it's confusing. When trying to add new stations, an array with 9 stations to add can be moved up, but the array blocks the call letters of the station currently playing. Honestly, it's like whoever designed it was not sober. Awful, awful design.

Reviewed Aug. 25, 2016

When turning to the left, my car has this horrible scrubbing sound and has hesitated when I am changing lanes from the right to the left lane. This hesitation can be problematic if it causes me to be hit in the side because my car won't go. The traction control light will sometimes light up but doesn't stay on. I have looked for recalls in this matter but have found none. However, I have found several identical complaints.

Reviewed Aug. 20, 2016

I received a letter several months ago from GM saying there was a chance my 2011 Chevy Impala had a faulty sensor that could cause my car to lose engine power and traction. They were not going to replace the sensor unless I had a problem. Driving to work at 4 a.m. alarms and warnings started going off telling me I was losing engine power and traction. When I called a Chevy dealer, they told me there were a hundred reasons why that could happen and they will only pay for repairs if the computer in my car recorded the error code for that sensor. The charge for inspecting my car was $100 and I would have to pay that if the right error code wasn't recorded on my computer. Luckily the right error code showed up. This was very scary! Why was no recall issued? Losing power on a freeway could be deadly! Is GM rolling the dice hoping there are no fatalities?

PriceStaff

Reviewed Aug. 6, 2016

Problems with 2009 Chevy Impala SS. I bought this car used, with 53,000 miles on it in September 2012. I've had to replace the AC Blend Door Actuators on both sides twice (myself) and now the center one needs replaced - can't get to that one since the dash has to come out to get to it and just can't afford the cost of labor to replace a $45 part. The passenger heated seat quit working after owning it about a year, the lights in the vanity mirror on the driver's side quit working about the same time. (Not a fuse problem, nor bulb problem, apparently an electrical issue). Passenger side airbag sensor is out - not sure what caused that but causes the warning light to stay on - has been for about 3 years. Transmission started slipping around 90,000 miles - have it serviced and maintained as it calls for. Now today on my way to work the "StabiliTrak" warning came on.

The car started shaking almost violently then the warning light came on, along with "reduced power" alert. I pulled to the side of the road and shut the car off. Walked around it, kicked the tires (mostly out of anger and frustration), got back in and the problem was gone. And the only recall on this car is for the ignition/key? If so many complaints about the actuators and the warning lights (which on a freeway is VERY much a hazard to immediately lose power) why are there no recalls on these problems?? I love my car, but it is becoming a drain. It now has 103,000 miles on it, still looks pristine, however I'm losing faith in Chevrolet. Now I know why my Dad was always a Ford man. I've never been a dedicated "fan" to any make - just as long as I can get from point A to point B safely, I don't care what it is, but with the price of this car and all the hype about the "number 1 rated make" has me questioning the validity of their claim.

Reviewed Aug. 5, 2016

I knew since before the 06 redesign that I wanted an Impala and I was able to get a 2011 in 2012. I kept up with the scheduled maintenance and had the goal to make it to over 200,000 miles. The transmission was flushed on time by 100,000 miles and it still failed by 136,000 miles. Now that I have the transmission replaced I have been treated to the lights on the instrument cluster being illuminated airbag light, traction control and abs. To make matters worse with the lights on showing these troubles the depreciation is down to $1500 on a car that I still owe $7000 on. It's sad to consider that this car has not reached 150,000 miles and yet I have other branded vehicles that have done it with no trouble.

Reviewed Aug. 3, 2016

2008 Impala hasn't hit 50000 miles yet. General maintenance and upkeep done regularly. Changed 3 of the 5 blend door actuators. Now one is clicking again. Not sure if it's one that's already been replaced or a different one. Also rear locks no longer work at all. They must be done manually. This is the big one: since last year it started, engine power reduced. I was told it was gas cap, so replaced cap. 6 months later engine power reduced appears again!!! Does Chevy not realize how dangerous this can be? Already contacted them. Apparently they don't want to help me. Due to age of car. I say bs!! I can understand if it had umpteen million miles on it, but it doesn't. Should have a recall. From all I read it seems like a common issue and it's dangerous!!! I can't add receipt due to car given to me by my mom who no longer felt comfortable driving.

Reviewed July 28, 2016

I bought a 2011 Impala less than 2 months ago. When I got it home I noticed a clunk in the front end. I had it in the shop 4 times. They replaced the wheel bearing and the front struts and the noise was still there. Each mechanic advised me that the noise was not a serious issue and we would have to wait until it got worse to find out what it was. Well a week ago I put my car in reverse and went to go forward and my transmission locked up. Come to find out all the late model Impala's transmissions are going bad right around 100,000 miles. GM refuses to offer anyone any relief or to issue a recall.

I have owned at least 10 GM vehicles and most of them went over 200,000 miles and still ran when I sold them. 4 GM to know they have this problem and keep those cars on the road without doing something is nothing less than criminal. They need to do something soon if they want any of us to keep buying GM vehicles. But in the meantime don't let any of your friends buy a late model Impala without proof the transmission was recently replaced or rebuilt.

Reviewed July 21, 2016

So, I've perused through this forum and found several people describe the exact same thing I'm now experiencing with my 2013 Impala LT. I've noticed lately that going from reverse to drive, or from park to drive, the first movement forward will occasionally have my traction control light come on. It also happened during a slow speed left turn in a parking lot last night. Feels like the transmission is slipping so I get off the gas and slowly get back into it and we're rolling fine again. I'm about to take a road trip and now I'm a little nervous to take her out on this road trip. I know the power train is still under warranty until next August, but I don't want to end up stranded with my two kids in the Mojave desert. If this is a known issue, why doesn't Chevy recall this and fix it? Is it going to take more deaths before acting on it like it did with the ignition issue? Come on Chevy, you're better than that.

Reviewed May 22, 2016

Very sad about my 2012 Impala LTZ Currently 52740 miles. Things that broke before 36k warranty ran out: Sway bar stabilizer link pin broke 3 times - I do not 4x4 my Impala. Driver's window issue, clunking loudly. Before 40k it needed new rack, pump and lines for power steering. Since then it has had both front wheel bearings to "fix" 2 separate stabilitrack issues. Put fix in quotes because after the front driver was replaced it needed a wiring harness as well to completely cure stabilitrack issue. Currently driver's window is clunking again. There is some sort of clunk in the drivetrain and the transmission intermittently slips from a stop. Very sad because I really like the car.

Reviewed May 17, 2016

Traction control light comes on every time I start my car and makes a loud sound like a airplane. When the car accelerates my wheel doesn't spin. The check engine light comes on and off. I think it's some type of electrical issue. GM needs to recall on Chevy Impalas.

Reviewed May 8, 2016

The same problem happened on our 2010 Impala. My husband is taking the battery out freight now. We have had so many problems with this car, it is ridiculous. It has less than 50000 miles!! We have had to replace windows 4 times. Twice on the driver's side. There is a loud ticking sound whenever we start the car. Not the first time that has happened either! The dealer want $300+ just to diagnose the problem. This is crazy, THE CAR HAS LESS THAN 50000 MILES. We are senior citizens, and have a strict budget, so what can we do? Actually, GM what are you doing about this problem. It is indeed a safety issue and the manufacturer is responsible. Why has there not been a recall? So much for buying American!

Reviewed May 2, 2016

I own a 2012 Impala LS for 2 years now and I've noticed a lot of people are having a stability control issue. I had that problem one time and found out it had to do with the battery on my Impala. The 2012 Impala doesn't come with a battery gauge on the dashboard to notify you when your battery could be losing charge or might even need to be changed. In my own Impala when I started receiving that message I took to the mechanic and found out that the battery had been in the car since it had been built in the factory... I also found out that the battery needs to be strong enough to push every point that's needed to push the engine. A lower battery would still cause the message to appear and the car to shake because it's not strong enough to push the stability control and other things.

I experienced a lot of different things when my battery was bad that all happened at once since I have changed the battery at 44,000 miles. I haven't had no other problems with my Impala and I'm now at 70,000. She's still going strong... Hopefully this can help out a few people with a few of the issues they’re having with their Impala. I’ve had 3 in my life and they all 3 have been my most dependable. Also do your research on the vehicle before you purchase it like get repair receipts or history reports so you know the car has been taken care of. Most people don't even care about that then purchased a used vehicle that's been dogged out by half the United States… and yes with just that many low miles it can be done... Be smart. Good luck.

Customer ServicePriceStaff

Reviewed March 19, 2016

Though the representatives at the dealership where I frequent is very affable, the car is nothing but a headache. I purchased a 2014 LTZ Impala in August of 2013 with 3000 miles. Since then, I've gotten about 7 recall notices, I've had standing water and mold in my trunk due to a manufactures defect, I've had to replace both front blinker lights, my sensors for my tire pressure were just calibrated at 37,000 miles because no one at the dealership noticed that they were incorrect even though I took my car there for all services, I need two new tires because my tires were bald at 30,000 miles and I also need new rotors. Now, this is the only car that I've ever had to have all of these items replaced in less than 3 years. Not to mention, this is the most expensive of all of my cars with a price tag of 39,000. My dealership asked me if I had my tires rotated during services. I replied, "Did I? You were the ones that performed my service!"

It seems odd for a 39,000 care to need new tires at around 30,000 miles. Now, today, a new issue arose, my engine light came on along with the stabilitrak sensor. After looking at this page and many other Impala reviews, I see that this is another Impala issue. I will be very surprised to hear the dealership's reason for the lights, for I called and I was told that there are many reasons for these lights to come on, and I have an appointment in two days. The car shakes when I am idle or driving slowly. It also stutters when I start the car. I am so angry because I actually suggested this car to people. A friend of mine even purchased the same vehicle I have. I regret ever suggesting it. Again, put your money in a good car, and spending 39,000 on a vehicle means that I should not have to spend more money fixing issues that shouldn't have occurred. This is my second and final Chevrolet.

Reviewed Feb. 24, 2016

I bought my 2011 Impala in 2012 and it had only 39,000 miles on it. Right at about 96,000 miles in late 2015, the car started jerking when trying to accelerate after stopping at a stop sign or traffic light. Knowing my warranty was about to expire, I took it to the dealership asking them to check the transmission because it seems like the problem had something to do with that. The car would not duplicate the jerking, so they sent me away telling me they couldn't identify the problem. Basically, that I would have to let the problem get worse in order for them to identify.

Of course, now, at 105, 000 miles and out of warranty, when I am at complete stop and start to accelerate, the car stalls for about 5 seconds, then just jumps into first gear. Almost like someone has hit me from behind. I took it to a couple of transmission shops who said that it a tranny issue. Trans fluid was dark and had clutch material in it. Now, I will be out of almost 2000.00 to have the tranny rebuilt. I did contact GM corporate and they did absolutely nothing. They referred me back to the dealership I took the car to last November and of course they refused to assist.

Reviewed Dec. 21, 2015

I bought a 2011 Impala with 30,000 miles on it at 80,000. This became a problem. The dealership fixed it at 149,000 same problem, car shut down had to be towed. At 200,000 same problem car shut down had to be towed. At 260,000 same problem. They had a new part for it, my problem is I've paid for this part three times out of my own pocket I'm very upset that the recall finally came about and they will not even reimburse me for one. I am a traveling nurse so that's why my mileage is so high this part seems to go out every 60,000 miles it is not safe and it is a big problem.

Reviewed Dec. 5, 2015

My daughter bought a 2001 Chevy impala 6 cylinder few months ago. She was so excited. But yesterday she left work, almost made it home and her car stalled. So she started back up and when she put it in drive nothing happened. What could it be?

Reviewed Dec. 4, 2015

My check engine light is on, I fix the problem but check engine light is still on. My radio come and goes when I turn on the car, I have to give it gas for it to stay on. My not happy with the Impala at all.

Reviewed Nov. 15, 2015

I bought this beautiful vehicle in March with only 14 miles. Approximately 5 months after purchase, I began having trouble with the engine and Stabilitrak system. While traveling on the highway my check engine and traction light illuminated simultaneously. I was also alerted that "engine power was reduced" and my vehicle would not accelerate when pressing the gas pedal. I took my vehicle to the dealership for repairs and was informed that one of my fuel pumps had stopped working and the problem was corrected.

In September while traveling on the highway my check engine and traction light again illuminated simultaneously. I was alerted that "engine power was reduced" and my vehicle would not accelerate when pressing the gas pedal. I took my vehicle back and wiring in the fuel pump area was repaired. In October the same issue! Fuel pump was replaced AGAIN. GM refused to buy back stating this isn't causing safety issues despite being in a compromising position 3 times with an infant in the car. They offered an accessory certificate. I declined. They offered another impala.. declined. Research shows this to be an ongoing issue. This has been a nightmare.

Reviewed Nov. 13, 2015

About 2-3 months ago my 2013 Impala LTZ felt like my left front tire was slipping, like on sand or ice, when I would turn left out of a parking spot and the traction control light would blink a few times and quit once I straighten out. It only happens on left turns after being parked for a few hours. I took it to a repair shop and it never gave a code and I was unable to make it happen for the repairman. I am worried that it will damage my tire plus it keeps getting worse each time it happens. It feels like the left tire is locked up when I make a left turn. I agree with the many others that this needs to have a recall on it.

Reviewed Nov. 4, 2015

2014 Impala transmission issues. Pulled out on the highway where everyone is driving 55+ mph and luckily pulled into the turning lane first. Car acted like it went into neutral and wouldn't go anywhere for a couple second. Luckily I did turn into the turning lane or I would have gotten hit!

Customer ServicePricePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed Oct. 20, 2015

I have a 2003 Chevy, Impala and I have problems with it. The ABS light is on, the Traction light is on and it's revving around 2,500 to 3,000 RPMs. So I took it in to garage and they ran codes and replaced two sensors. OK, I brought it home and next few days engine light comes on. Take it again. This time they keep it 4 days and said they replaced a bad sensor they put on... So I leave and now we are up to $600... Well here we go again. Engine light again, and surging so I take it back and they keep it and call me up and I go get it. $100 later and they gutted out the catalytic converter!! So I didn't know any better and I leave and now I have high revving, fumes and engine light is on. Took it back and I told them I want the converter back on. I am getting sick with the fumes.

They said "OK" and get out a paper and I said "What is this going to cost me?" And he said... "I don't know yet until we get back there!" Well I didn't take it back... This is my only way to work and I am scared to death to drive it very far and to top it off it now stalls out whenever!! I don't have the money for all this! I am a young widow... I will NEVER buy Chevy again and for me to say that takes a lot. It's almost all I have had!

Reviewed Oct. 13, 2015

I just traded my 2010 Impala off for this 2014 model. Wow what a mistake. Obviously these new ones have hundreds of written reviews about the StabiliTrak systems having issues. Gee mine started it today and Chevy acts like they are surprised and never heard of this issue! Right if you simply go and read the reviews they can plainly see many others are having the same issue. Why in hell have they not done a recall on them. Oh because they are hiding the truth that they knew and know it's going on. Do your jobs and send out the recall before you lose many customers that love the Impala. This is my third and final one if this continues. I'M NOT HAPPY! Now you want to play the warranty bull crap on a 42,000 car. Seriously wow.

Reviewed Oct. 10, 2015

I found out after taking my 11 Chevy Impala to a independent shop that the engine wiring harness is faulty which is causing the Stabilitrak and the engine power down to go off. It's also the cause of the car to sputter and shake. I have went on many forums and complaint websites and found the same problem across the country which is why I paid for all the testing. Everyone needs to contact the NHTSA so we can get this made to a recall. I myself like all of you have fought GM on this with no help on their end. I hope this helps!

Customer Service

Reviewed Sept. 8, 2015

I bought a 2013 Impala 6 months ago and last night my abs light, my traction control, and my service stabilitrak came on. Can't seem to get an answer as far as what's wrong with this car. I was to when I bought it. It had a warranty then come to find out it didn't!!! What's wrong with my car?

Reviewed Aug. 29, 2015

I have had once the same issue as many with the abs light and traction control. I have read many forums on this matter and one person had a fix that made more sense than a lot of repairs people had done and in turn had the problem reoccurring down the road. But here's what he said... His mechanic found a vacuum leak on the hose from the pcv valve to the throttle body, probably a crack in the hose or just loose where it plugs on. I know if a pcv hose is unplugged on any newer car, the car will quit running. So that would explain the fluctuations in the power. In turn will make the computer throw weird codes due to faulty data it's receiving.

So inspect or have inspected your vacuum lines especially the pcv vacuum line hose before dumping a whole lot of money into your car and run the chance of it not truly fixing the problem. It could turn out to be a $3 piece of hose. For vehicles with a recurring light on when raining or snow, the wire harness that plugs onto the speed sensor try unlocking the clip and wrapping the exposed wire with electrical tape. If that and the vacuum hose don't get it have the front hub bearings inspected.

Reviewed Aug. 20, 2015

CHEVY IMPALA 2012 - problem needs to be recalled! Service traction control, service brake assist, & abs light all pop on & stay on. Car stalls when making a left turn. Have been just short of having a few car accidents due to this. Chevy dealer says nothing is wrong! Many with same complaint!

Reviewed Aug. 14, 2015

I bought a 2010 Impala at 41,000 miles in pristine condition in 2012. By the time it hit 70,000 miles it began jerking at low speeds while accelerating. I took it to the dealership and was told that the fuel injection system was clogged. They made the necessary repairs and the car was fine. By 78,000 miles the jerking starts again but more pronounced. This resulted in me having to replace the transmission. Now I'm at just over 100,000 miles and once again the jerking has started. I took it to the dealer and was told that I needed a fuel pump, tune up, upper intake gasket, to replace battery cables, and to clean the fuel injection. $2600 worth of parts and labor and guess what my car STILL jerks and my engine light is on. This is the worst car I've ever owned!!! I will never purchase another Chevy again.

Reviewed Aug. 12, 2015

I have a 2014 Chevy Impala. I first got this car September 2013, and I already took the car 5 times for the check engine light to the dealer. I also had a new gasket converter put in about 2 months ago and repeatable problems with air jump valve. I'm currently waiting on GM to look over my case.

Reviewed Aug. 10, 2015

I own a 02 Chevy impala bought at a Chevy dealership w/ 20,000 miles on it. I have nothing but problems with this car. First the Cadillac converter went out, the something to do with the starting column, my transmission. Light switch caught on fire. No headlight, driving on interstate at night, had drive in the medium. Wait for sun to come up, replaced, now the bright lights went out already. And the great lock out security system thinks I'm stealing my car with own key. Wait 20-30 min and starts. That's scary because I have a 3-year old and 8-year old.

This happens in extreme heat and very cold temps and now my window regulators went out. Can't find the right parts due to the factory using two different parts to make one. Let's not forget about the recall for ignition...very disappointed in this car. GM needs to step up. If anyone else has these problems, please contact your State Attorney General. So now I'm stuck with a car that starts when it wants and plastic over the windows.

Matt increased rating by 1 star.
    After a positive interaction with Chevy Impala, Matt increased their star rating on Oct. 20, 2015.

Updated review: Oct. 20, 2015

I have had problems with my 2013 Impala with the traction control light and the car almost stopping turning left. I have taken it to the dealership 9 times.

Today they finally fixed it. They replaced the wiring harness from the ABS/traction control module to both front ABS sensors left and right side. The problem is now gone. Just wanted to let people know.

Original Review: Aug. 6, 2015

I have a 2013 Impala, the traction control light comes on at slow speeds. I have had it at the dealership 6 times. They can get it to do it but it doesn't set codes so they don't know how to fix it. So I'm taking it that GM doesn't have a fix for this? It looks like there are a lot of complaints about this. So unhappy...

Customer Service

Reviewed July 29, 2015

I have issues concerning my Chevy Impala 2001 LS. One of the issues that I'm having is that several things are wrong with my car and they all are under recall but for some reason my VIN number doesn't fall in a recall call. I have seat belt issues. I put in a new transmission. Within three years the transmission is trip is slipping. I have leak issues in my overflow. I have electrical issue OnStar issue. Fuel system issue. I have the key ignition issue.

Reviewed July 26, 2015

I was driving home from work on 7/26/2015. I was driving, first the check engine light came on, then the service traction control was turned off. Then my car hesitated to pick up after accelerating. I was getting on the freeway when my car said starter disabled service throttle. I pushed the pedal, the car wouldn't go. I was able to roll over to the shoulder of the freeway. I tried starting my car, it didn't do anything. I still had power to my radio and lights, it just wouldn't start. I sat and waited for a couple minutes then I tried to start it again. The car finally started. I then zoomed home just in case it wanted to go out again. I just hit 111,000 today on the car, I didn't start having problems until 100,000. I use to love Chevy products, now I'm quickly changing my mind!!!

CoveragePrice

Reviewed July 25, 2015

3 of 4 electronic door locks had to replaced within two years of purchase (new). Despite the extended electronic warranty, it still cost me $100 per lock as part of the deductible. Also, a switch went out 2 years after purchase which prevented me from shifting vehicle out of park. That also cost me $100 because it was partially covered under the extended electronics warranty. Now, it has to be replaced again. I fear the cost. It is time to dump this vehicle.

Reviewed July 25, 2015

I bought my 2014 Impala in Jan 2014 and about two months ago the stabilitrak and ABS light came on. The message board is telling me to get this service. Reading these I realize this seems to be an ongoing issue with a bunch of Impalas but Chevy is refusing to admit there is an issue. I have taken my car in three times and they keep saying they do not see an issue with my car. When driving it does this jerking thing like the engine wants to stop. I am in process of taking my car to an outside mechanic to see if they can diagnose the problem. I starting think it maybe time to go above Chevy head. Depending on what this other mechanic say, I may consider contacting an attorney if Chevy will not fix this issue.

Reviewed July 21, 2015

Electrical problems 2014 Chevy Impala LT Z. First problem driving car - car started shuttering, lost all lights on touch screen, no connection to Bluetooth, brakes hard To push in and not stopping car. Took it to a dealer. They reported "could not find a problem." Got the car back and found out that the remote start will not work. Had to take car back to the dealer seven. 2015 took the car back to Taylor Chevrolet. Again problem will only start the vehicle sometimes and one time after getting the vehicle started no night's or digital readout on anything in the car, could not get the car to move our parks and hit Running. Pushed start button to shut the engine off several times before the car would return to normal. Also remote start only works every once in a while. Taylor Chevrolet says because it not putting out no codes. They don't know what to do - car Vin number **. This is a certified GM car with 20,000 miles.

Reviewed July 20, 2015

I own a 2009 Chevy Impala. This first problem I experienced with this car is the intermittent Traction Control System Fail. On a highway trip the traction control system malfunctioned causing my car to automatically initiate an engine power reduction function. This auto function powered down my car and I had to coast to the side of the highway. I had to let the car sit for awhile before I was able to power it in and continue to make the drive home. The next problem I ran into was a clicking noise coming from the Blend Door Actuator located behind my glove box. A cheap part and something anyone can fix but it's still a way too common malfunction in Chevy Impalas. The latest issue I have ran into was with the Automatic Transmission. I did my own studies and found that these transmissions can be at risk to overheating which of course any transmission would be. My advice, check your ATF once month to ensure its not low and that it appears clean.

Reviewed July 19, 2015

Had the car (2014 Impala 2LT 3.6 V6) lose power and shut down in the middle of a U-turn and almost got blasted by a car!! Got towed to the dealership and they had to replace something with the throttle body and that was at 19k miles. My Impala was just at the service department for a week because they had to drop the transmission and replace a clutch piston inside the transmission and that's at 24,000 miles. I now also have 5 recalls that have been done since the original purchase!! Wooh! Thinking about traded it in??

Customer ServicePrice

Reviewed July 9, 2015

I was driving down the highway and felt like my car went into neutral. This is a 2011 Impala with 98,550 kilometers on it with a warranty of 160,000 kms or 5 years. Thankfully, I was able to change lanes and pull into a side street. The vehicle wouldn't go forward or backward. I called GM and they're telling me that my warranty ran out on June 29th, 9 days ago. They won't tell me if they will help me with the repairs. Take it to the GM dealer and when they figure out what is wrong with it, then they will decide what they will do to help me with this cost. They want $350 to check it out but another place is only charging me $75. I also had to replace the gas pedal last year at $317.00. There is definitely something seriously wrong with the Impalas.

Reviewed July 8, 2015

I recently purchased a 2010 Impala. The day I test drive the vehicle 4 blocks, nothing happened. The day I took the vehicle off the lot and drove it from lake maniwa to omaha, it started to jerk as if someone hit me from the rear end. As I googled to check the possible issue, all I got was many forums of this same complaint. Please help me.

Reviewed June 29, 2015

Purchased a pre-certified 172 point inspected 2014 Chevy Impala Limited LTZ with 19,500 miles on 6/13/2015. By 6/19/2015 there were noises in the front end. The noise seemed to be only when turning left from 0 to 20 mph. During the week the noise did not occur. By 6/26/2015 the noise seemed to occur when proceeding forward, reversing, and turning left. Had contacted the dealership now three times where we originally purchased the car. Since we purchased out of state they suggested to take it to a dealership closer to our home.

By 6/29/2015 with 21,043 miles the Traction control light, ABS light, Service Brake Assist, Service Traction Control, and Service Stabilitrak lights all came on. 6/30/2015 the car is scheduled to be serviced and hopefully free of charge (with a bumper to bumper warranty up to 93,000). One would assume that it is a pre-certified 172 point inspected car that you would not need to worry about it breaking down within the first two weeks.

Reviewed June 24, 2015

I bought a 2010 Chevy Impala but like 3 months later I just started hearing clicking coming from behind my dash board and it does it all the time out of nowhere. Chevy Impala has too many defaults and I'm not happy with it now. Every Impala I see 2007 and up makes the same noise. It's ridiculous.

Reviewed June 18, 2015

I purchased a 2011 Jan 2015. It had a little over 50,000 miles on it. My damn car will not start now. Every light is on but my car will not start. Window work, radio works, headlights work. I replace the battery to see if that would help but nothing. I pay a damn car now each month and my car doesn't start. I say everyone who wrote a review on here and who cars doesn't start, we need to do a class action law suit. Chevy should do something about these issues if there are so many people having the same issues.

Reviewed June 14, 2015

I bought a 2008 Chevrolet Impala SS used. Immediately I figured out why it was on the lot. This car uses 2 quarts of oil between oil changes. I am constantly worried about the oil, checking and dumping more in it, which gets costly after some time. I figure why should I even have the oil changed when I am topping it off every 1-2 thousand miles. I don't see any oil on any surface that I park on, so I know it isn't leaking. I see this problem all over the internet and can't figure out why General Motors doesn't address this issue and do a recall for this problem.

I feel like it is very unfair to us as consumers who sometimes live paycheck to paycheck trying to make ends meet, to have to deal with a problem that GM should have already addressed. I know they have a lot more money than I do. This car has also been stuck in part due to a cable that broke which my husband and I fixed on our own off of a video we found on youtube made by an ordinary consumer like ourselves. We were ever grateful due to the fact the dealership wanted over $500 to fix it. It costs us less than $100 for the part. There is also an issue with the door locks.

Reviewed June 7, 2015

2000 Impala LS 3.8L - How many complaints does it take to get a recall? Car randomly will decide not to start. Cranks but will not start. If I wait anywhere from 30mins to a couple of hours it will decide to start. Mech can't figure it out. Replaced some sensors, fuel pump, battery. I have seen many complaints on this issue. CAN'T ANYONE FIGURE IT OUT??

Reviewed June 4, 2015

I have a 2014 Impala. I have had it stop in the middle of driving at 55 mph and at 25 mph, I do not feel safe! Have taken it to the service department three times in the 15 months I have had it. They find nothing wrong! So now they say I can not have even my house key on my ring so I pay for a new car and have to constantly carry two sets of keys?! Very dissatisfied, will not lease another GM.

Coverage

Reviewed June 1, 2015

Purchased my 2009 Impala on April 12 2014 at Lakeside Auto in Erie PA with 77,000 miles. After about 6,000 miles I noticed the service traction control light had began to come on frequently - most of the time it was dry out. It progressively became worst then out of the blue on the interstate 79 and the check engine light came. And along with service traction control and engine running at reduced power, and then throttle bottle-engine shutting. This happened at about 10 times since I have had the car. Took it to dealership and the mechanic said it was APP sensor which is the gas pedal which of course wasn't covered under my warranty.

Finally I buy the part and take it to the mechanic, have him replace it in February then the car starts misfiring. Take it the Chevy dealer, he say it needs tune up with new wires and spark plugs plus new rear rotors brakes and a alignment. Grand total $820.21, that was in April this year. Now fast forward a month later at 107,000 miles, they say I need a new transmission. It's very frustrating to work hard and and still no positive progression investing into a so called "American Car". I wouldn't take another American made car if it was given to me free of charge. GMC did finally issue a recall on APP sensor last month though. But I think it was that Service traction control issue that ultimately caused my transmission problems. GMC really needs to put their customers first and get this fixed before someone loses their life because of their negligence in their products.

Reviewed May 31, 2015

Less than two weeks ago my '11 Chevy impala's stabilitrak control and engine light came on but went off when I removed the key from ignition agreed about five mins. Well yesterday, I had my grandson in the car when all of a sudden my car wouldn't go into drive or neutral and the car was making a loud, vibrating/shaking noise! As my grandson got scared he was crying, we were sitting in the middle of the parking lot at a store waiting for a tow truck. I haven't even made my 3rd car payment on this car. I see there are numerous complaints regarding this problem. I do have gap insurance, so I'm praying whatever problem it is, that it gets resolved. I will post soon to let consumers know what the end results are. One thing is for sure, to be under 60,000 miles and the car to be in mint condition, this certainly was a frightening experience. What would have happened if was on the freeway or in heavy traffic? God definitely had his full armor on.

Reviewed May 15, 2015

I have a 2003 Chevy Impala that I wish I never would have gotten and I'm still paying a note on it. GMC is a rip off like everyone is saying. I was getting ready to leave work, soon as I cranked the car it caught fire. I had to have the whole car rewired ($500). Now the freaking service engine soon light is on and the traction control system kick in when I make a right. I can't wait to get rid of this darn car. I'll catch the bus before I buy another GM anything they are really screwing up.

Reviewed May 12, 2015

I have a 2010 Chevy Impala 2 yrs ago. I was traveling down the interstate when my traction control sensor started malfunctioning and my car powered down. Well died. I had no power or power steering at all. Very scary.. I took it to a mechanic. He couldn't find anything wrong and reset the light. I in turned bought new tires wondering if that could be the fix. A few months later while traveling through Texas it did it to me again. Reducing engine speed it said and once again in the middle of the night while traveling with my children there I sat. It wouldn't even turn over. It was completely dead. After turning the car off for about 20 minutes I tried starting it again and low and behold it started and we continued on our journey.

Since then I have had issues with my traction controls sensors going off quite frequently and now my ABS light as well. They can't find an actual issue but resetting them doesn't seem to work and they keep coming on. And this year my air has quit working on the passenger side but not the driver's in which we have replaced the actuator but that didn't seem to help either. So I can honestly say with the car only being 5 years old and I have been having these issues for the last 2 yrs with sensors going off and hot air blowing I am extremely unsatisfied. Not only has it been an extreme inconvenience but has been dangerous a couple of times as well... I look forward to trading it off and will not buy another. Thanks.

Reviewed May 9, 2015

I had my 2004 Chevy Impala for almost two years. It has 110,000 miles on it. The issues started just a few days ago. When I put the car in reverse or drive, it won't move. I literally have my son push the car (either from the front or back) to get it to move.

Reviewed April 23, 2015

I have a 2009 Chevy Impala. April 10th, I made sure I locked my car doors to hear the "horn" that lets you know the doors are locked. I should feel secure right? Wrong! My wallet, with all of my personal information was taken out of my car that night, because the driver side door, which I found out the next day, does not lock completely down, was still open. With no forced entry! I had $150 in cash, my daughter and I's SS card was taken, my conceal and carry permit, license, military I.D., and credit cards were all stolen! I had to make a police statement and have them come out for finger printing.

I had to reorder EVERYTHING. Not to mention explain to my command why I cannot get on base or to work on time! I had no access to funds for about 3 days, because I had no personal identification. Hearing the horn going off is supposed to give us the security of knowing that our personal belongings are safe and secure. But due to these unfortunate happenings, I am ready to get rid of this vehicle. It is one thing after the next, and this was the last one for me. Its time to trade it in!

Reviewed April 20, 2015

I drove to a drive thru for drinks. Was waiting between pay and pickup window. After the car in front of me proceeded forward I let my foot off the gas nothing happened. Gave it gas nothing. Some people helped me get it out of the way. Had it towed home. Got numerous opinions and ended up getting the transmission rebuilt. There were no warnings.

CoveragePrice

Reviewed April 6, 2015

I have a 2011 Impala LTZ with the larger engine, a 3.9 liter V6. Have had no problems. Left Michigan for Texas. No problems. Went to a dealership in Round Rock Tx. for oil change. I was told I had an intake manifold leak at 56,000 miles. Googled problems for that engine, found none. I was told it was covered under my extended warranty. It cost me $45 for oil change and lube. Car was kept for 2 weeks, 10 business days. I was given a loaner car at no charge which was fine.

The workmanship was not the best. Some metal engine covers are bent out of shape which leads me to believe that someone did not know what they were doing or they used the wrong procedure. I am suspicious of the work done. I had a 2003 Buick Lasalle with a 3.9 liter V6. I had no problems at all after 145,800 miles when the vehicle was sold. I can't explain it but I do not feel comfortable with this vehicle after the repairs. I am afraid I will have problems after the extended warranty expires. My suspicion is there were no problems with that engine, why was mine the only one reported. Was the problem correctly diagnosed and the correct repair done.

Profile pic of the author.

Reviewed March 30, 2015

I bought my 2011 Impala a month ago and everything seems to be running fine. I've looked over the reviews and it seems that there are a lot of unhappy customers out there but only found 2 with a 2011. It seems every other year is high maintenance but like I said my 2011 is awesome and I love it. We will see how long that last?

Reviewed March 23, 2015

I had this same problem two years ago except in was knocking in the dashboard on the driver and passenger side. The is a knocking noise has returned in the dashboard on the passenger side. It last for 3 minutes. It starts when I unlock the car with the remote or when I turn the car on. The noise is very annoying. I have spoken to others and they have had the same problem.

Reviewed March 21, 2015

2007 Chevy Impala LS 3.5 flex fuel. 90,000 I had to replace the engine. Now the catalyst converter is going, oil sending unit needs to be replace again, oil pressure sensor keeps going off just like the last motor and this motor had less mileage. The AC pump leaks that's $450 just for the pump. I will never buy another Impala again. Went through 3 starters, it got stuck in park, wouldn't shift, had to get it towed. Stay as far away from Impalas as you can.

Reviewed March 19, 2015

2009 Chevy Impala - 2 months ago, I was driving on the interstate, all of a sudden my traction control light comes on and right after, my engine reducing power light came on, car starting shaking.... A couple of seconds later, my car shuts down completely! On the INTERSTATE, speed limit 70, I'm in the middle lane. THANK GOD I made it to the side of the road because let me tell you, a semi was behind me and I know they can't stop as quick as cars can...This car almost caused me a serious wreck, if not fatal. Yesterday, I have my 10-month-old granddaughter in the car with me on a 2-lane highway... Speed limit 60 and the same thing happened! I am so angry that this is a KNOWN PROBLEM with GMC and they have done NOTHING about it!