1.64/5
Based on 106 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

467 Chevy Trucks Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 7, 2018

Consumers complain of corroded brake lines in older GM trucks - June 2018 - 2003 Chevy Avalanche Z-71 1500. 98,000 miles. Always in Connecticut. Had truck rust proofed when new, but that did not help brake line issue. Luckily I was just pulling out of the driveway when the pedal went completely to the floor with no stopping power. The brake line going to rear of the truck blew right under driver's door leaving the entire contents of the reservoir on the ground. This is terribly dangerous! Supposedly front brakes should have worked, but didn't. Found a complete replacement kit of "NiCopp" lines for $100 (plus fluid and tools) online, and lots and lots of videos about it - which also indicates widespread problem. This truck has been my "baby" since new and am terribly disappointed. Would love to hear about some sort of class action. GM should be held accountable for this extremely dangerous issue.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I turned my Chevy truck, 2002 into a parking space. The brakes were hard as a rock. Didn't slow a bit. Been working great... Someone told me it was my power steering pump failing. Scared the crap out of me, and guess what? No recall.

UPDATE 05/29/2018

The problem was the front Left wheel bearing The ABS sensor is in there.....I had no indicator lights lit, no brake, no ABS, No Warning at all , also there Is No recall for this problem hope no-one gets hurt..or worse.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 2, 2018

Chevy Trailblazer - Good riding vehicle, comfortable driving, also good for hauling items such as groceries etc. Has its ups and downs as with any vehicle, battery, tires.

Original review: April 29, 2018

My family purchased a 2017 Chevy Traverse for reliability reasons only, not knowing the same engine is a 2009 GMC Acadia. This vehicle almost cost our lives, a part called PURGE VALVE, line cracked and it released Carbon Monoxide into the vehicle instead of going out the tailpipe! 2013-2017 Ford Explorer including police vehicle if your engine light comes on please get it check!

Original review: April 28, 2018

I really love my 2003, 4wd, S-10 Chevrolet Blazer, the only things I'd change would be to have a 4dr instead of 2, and have the spare tire stored elsewhere than the back window.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chevrolet?

Original review: April 27, 2018

Have a 2005 Chevy Colorado model and have over 175,000 miles on it with only routine maintenance. Body is in great shape. Did have a problem with the security system right after I bought it, which was fixed under warranty.

Original review: April 26, 2018

I purchased a certified used 2006 Chevy Trailblazer in 2007 with only about 11k miles. I love my SUV. I love the size and the third row option. I have had very few repair problems with my vehicle but this could be attributed to the fact that I work from home and my local stores are within a mile. My warranty expired within 6 years of ownership and the first fairly major repair was a water pump, which gave way in October. I just hit 50,500 miles after 11 years of ownership and so, I feel that my Chevy Trailblazer is a very durable vehicle.

Original review: April 18, 2018

The Chevrolet Avalanche only have problems with the sensor. They are very sensitive and always seems to be a replacement have to be done. The year 2010 is when the automobiles was no longer made.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I’ve had my Chevrolet Blazer for 18 years and I hope it lasts another 18 years. I love this truck. It doesn’t rust, it’s galvanized steel. No matter what has been wrong with it except a dead battery, it’s always started and always run.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I have a 2016 Chevy Colorado that I purchased new. It is a year old with 13,000 miles on it. The vehicle is leaning to the left about 1 inch. It has been to 3 dealers now and I have been told that is within factory specs. The spec is 1/2 at the frame. It is a common problem when you read the Colorado forums and GM continues to ignore it. I need one more repair attempt and then I can start the lemon law process. Beware of buying one of these trucks.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

I have a 2016 Chevy Colorado diesel. I purchased it new from the dealership. I drive about 1000 miles a week for work and was excited when a mid- size truck in a diesel came out. My issues began the second week of August 2017, when the truck was under 45,000 miles and less than a year old. The exhaust fluid light had come on before, but it had always gone away. This time, however, the check engine light came on with the poor exhaust fluid light and the vehicle was counting down miles before the engine shut off. It has been back and forth to the dealership for this issue for more than 75 days. At one point, the dealership had the vehicle for 38 days straight, waiting for a part to come in from the Chevy warehouse. I will be going on six months of not being able to rely on my vehicle. It has cost me all of my vacation time, sick days, boss's patience, and pay. I would not purchase this vehicle until the exhaust fluid sensor issues have been resolved.

Original review: June 18, 2017

Treated like garbage when I called to complain about my 2006 Silverado 1500 crew cab. Rust bucket peace of junk. I am normally not so harsh but my truck has become a money pit. Door panel trim fell off rear fenders and cab rusting so badly you would think the truck was 20 plus years old. Replaced wheel bearings 3 times on left 4 on right. Seat stitching is coming apart. Platinum parts are breaking. Wiring issues. Chevy logos fell off and much much more. I will never buy Chevy again. A once very loyal customer. I'll try Ford or Toyota next time.

Original review: May 14, 2017

I bought a 2017 Chevy hd3500 diesel about a month ago. It has 12,000 miles and it dies on me twice while working. I used it to haul a three car trailer so it's kind of dangerous for it just to die on the middle of highway. Dealer said they fixed it. Here I am a week later and I'm on the side of the highway again. I had to paid some serious cash to get it towed back To my town cause GM won't cover cost of trailer to get towed back. I covered cost the first time cause I understood. Second time I don't think so same symptoms then when you call no one is any help. Buyers beware. I should have went to Ford or Dodge.

Original review: May 3, 2017

To start off. Had a 2013 Chevy Duramax left me stranded in New Mexico. When I told them how unsatisfied I was with service. Owner grabbed me physically. Police were called and kicked me to side the road where I stayed for 3 weeks till someone came get me. Tillery Chevrolet. Got back home to where I got a $10000 quote from Barker GMC to repair. Could not get any assistance from customer service. Now I have a 2014 GMC that left me stranded in El Paso, TX. Transmission went out at 30000 miles. They did cover that. Brake booster went out shortly after. Barker covered half of that. Well here I am in South Carolina and the front driver tire likes to fall off. Road Side assistance will not cover towing or storage. Customer Service is no help. I have been a faithful GM customer for 20 years. I will NEVER buy another new GM product. Their vehicles are crap and their service is even worse.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2017

The 06 Chevy Equinox is the biggest piece of dog crap that I have ever own! 5wheel bearings, 2 axles, 1drive shaft, 1 starter, 2 struts, 2 brake hoses, 1 blower motor and a resistor. This Chevy is an electrical mess on top of everything else. I have had 5 Chevys and there is one thing I have learned - they are no more than a throwaway car company. NO MORE Chevys for me.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2016

This is a letter to GMC because of how disgusted I am with their Products, Support, and Dealerships. In August of 2011 I bought my first brand new car, a 2011 Equinox from ELCO Chevrolet in St Louis Missouri. $32,000. From day one I was scammed, there was a broken part the salesman showed me, intentionally holding the dashboard console open by hand and closing it. The part was spring loaded and opens without holding on to it, unknown to me. The dealership hid all the screws and broken parts under the rubber mat. For the past FOUR plus years this car is unreliable and worrisome to take out of town or anywhere. There is a constant engine issue with this car that the dealership in Kirksville can't seem to fix. The first time they told me it was the gas I was buying because they could find the problem. Even though this car can use Flex Fuel, the regular gas I'm using is too cheap.

Since then about every 4-5 months the car dies over and over and I get stranded, unless I can get it started again, and usually it will start again running so rough I'm afraid to shift it in gear as it may damage the transaxle. Then the problem seems to go away, or I've been in Limp in mode. Also nothing but bad gas mileage. I have not had to change brake pads, spark plugs, wires or even a light bulb in the past 5 years BUT everything else that should last many years just falls apart or fails.

What are the odds that after 5 years, both front struts go out at the same time and I'm pretty the rear shock did as well. What are the odds that a brand new battery with a 3 year warranty sticker goes out after 3 years and a week. CAC no help at all. What are the odd that Interior parts keep falling apart. Tires that lasted Half their life. Almost none of these things are normal maintenance and should of lasted a good 10-20 years at least if not the life of the car. I've had 30 year old Chevys and none of this has happened. I also went to College for almost 2 years in auto mechanics, next to my 35 years working on my own vehicles when I have the tools to do it, so I have a pretty good idea how long diagnosing takes when you have the right machines.

Is GM purposely building in failures to get more money? Because I find it extremely odd how every 3 or so months there is always a new failure issue with this car. And I find it odd after my standard warranty was up CACs only response when not arguing with me is to offer a 1 hour hardship diagnosis which the Dealership seems all too glad to use up the entire hour on. Did you also name it hardship to make people feel like bums after spending 10s of thousands?

Listed of some issues, I could write 3 pages of problems never fixed or had to fix myself. And after the paint issue I don't like going to the Dealership here and won't again after this last visit. Center console broken and covered up by St Louis dealer. Replaced after 2-3 months by Kirksville dealership. Rattling noise in engine compartment, dipstick hitting engine, Dealership uses block of rubber to repair. Stabilitrack error message, misfire cylinders. Multiple times first year. Error PO171 and PO173. Never fixed as they can't duplicate the problem so was told to buy more expensive gas. Driver side door handle chrome peeling off. Dealer replaced Stick shift leather falling off. Dealer replaced air bag service light, multiple times, Dealership can't reproduce, then a recall a few months later. Still has Errors from time to time. Multiple radio malfunctions, Dealership no way to diagnose.

Paint etching or whatever on my hood. Was told not to worry about it by Dealership and their body shop who looked at it. Heard nothing for 3 weeks then CAC called Dealership who then claimed Environmental damage and would do nothing. A week after my 3 year standard warranty expired the 3 year warranty battery had a dead cell. Replaced by me. Never had a battery fail right out of the blue at its warranty life. Heater's blower motor stopped working. Replaced myself for $30 after Dealership wasted 3 hours of my time diagnosing it on a 1 hour hardship waiver and then wanted like $400 to fix. 65K tires lasted 38k. Rear passenger door handle is starting to peel off chrome. Both front struts are shot, and I think the rear shock are too, ALL at the same time? Another massive set of PO171 PO173 PO174 errors, Dealership replaced PCV/Intake hose.

Parking assist started beeping every time in reverse, then long beep followed by Parking assist off. Lasted two weeks then worked again. The next week backup camera quit working for two days, the green light on the mirror blinked. Then it started working again. Another massive PO171 PO173 PO174, dealer diagnosed the same PCV hose but took 3 times longer 1.5 hours on another 1 hour hardship waiver to diagnose and still wasn't done. Told them to unhook it as I was not waiting anymore. Offered nothing on warranty work from the PCV hose fix 4 months prior.

For four years I've been constantly dealing with this engine PO171 PO173 PO174 problem and anytime I've taken it to the Dealership they never seem to fix it or can't find the cause other than the PCV hose and I sit for about 2-3 hours whether it is being diagnosed or I come back for a part installed. Since my 3 year warranty has expired CAC doesn't help. They end up offering me that stupid hardship waiver with the disclaimer anything after 1 hour I have to pay for and then the Dealership wastes even more of my time on what I already know is wrong and tell me how many hundreds it's going to cost to fix it. Well I'm pretty much done with Chevys and will definitely never buy another new one. I'm done wasting 4-6 hours every time I go to the Dealership just to have something else break down. I'm also going to contact someone on the lemon law since this engine issue has gone on since the first year and never fixed.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2016

GM has a premature problem with brake line failure as outlined in TSB 13-05-22-001 but GM states that your vehicle will stop if one of your brake lines fail. This is not the case! I parked my 2004 Avalanche at home without any symptoms of a brake line leaking. When I came out in the morning, I started my vehicle, placed my foot on the brake pedal and it went to the floor. GM states that this issue is not life threatening as the vehicles have dual master cylinders which allow the vehicle to be driven to a place to be serviced. This was not the case with my 2004 Avalanche nor with my friend's 2003 Silverado whose brakes failed completely at highway speed totaling the Cadillac CTS-V it was forced to strike as no means of stopping remained!.

As I left my parking space, I realized that I could go no faster than 5 or 10 miles per hour in order for my truck to slowly come to a stop. Once I finally came to a stop, I needed to place the transmission in neutral so it would not drift forward. My vehicle was then towed to a service center. Had this happened at a higher rate of speed, I would most definitely have been involved in an accident. Not all cars with hydraulic brake systems have the problem of losing their brakes completely. Why does GM?

Original review: April 30, 2016

I have had my Chevy volt for a little over 4 years... In the last 2 years I have experienced the main battery unit will not take a charge. I had to take it into the dealer and they worked on it on two occasions (2014 & 2016). It now will not charge to its full range of 40 miles... It seems to only charge to approx 36 miles then as time goes by it starts charging to something less than that until it will all of a sudden it won't take a charge at all. The dealer's representative cannot explain the reason to me... I need help with this problem.

Original review: April 12, 2016

Reason for the review is so that other people who look up information about the car see the not-so-good things as well as the good things. Good: It's quiet. In warm climate it's good on fuel. It's cheap to purchase compared to a Prius (For a reason).

Bad: In the past 7 months it has been in the shop 37 times. It has a exhaust leak that GM indicates is part of the design. It gets 9.4MPG in the Winter due to the cold (GM says it's normal). It has broken down on me twice forcing me to drive a 27 year old Toyota to get to and from work. The heat is terrible. Range is about 1/5th the distance in the cold, and the charging costs double. It's terrifyingly slow on the highway. GM indicates that the range extender is not to be used for road trips. It has shorted out my house once. The steering column has come apart twice, GM had a Class Action Suit against them for this. I had to get a lawyer to get GM to pay attention. The insurance cost on it is double a Mustang due to parts replacement.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2016

Vehicle is only 6 months old and this is the second time I have towed it back to the dealer for no start, gauges going berserk and loosing backlight. Anti-theft some how erased my code in my key and wouldn't allow me to start it. Battery acts like it's dead but not!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2016

2012 Chevy Sonic with 35,500 miles. No indication of brake issues prior to entering an Interstate Highway exit ramp at 65 mph and discovering "no brakes". The short ramp turned as a 25 mph curve. The car crashed into the guardrail. Insurance totaled the car out. Now, the insurance company will specify me at fault, unless Chevy investigates the car. Apparently, there are other complaints of brake issues with this car, but so far.... Chevy has not come through with anything.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2016

08 Chevy 3500 Silverado - I was driving home when I heard loud bang. Seatbelt yanked me back in seat. Truck dies. 4 way flashers come on and truck dies. The dealer told me the airbag sensor must have signaled the seatbelt retractor to deploy because it sensed a accident although I was not in one. To me this is a safety issue and should be addressed by GM. I am just glad I was not on the highway with other vehicles as this happened.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2015

I Bought a 2013 Chevrolet Sonic and have only had it for close to 3 years. I have had the sway bar replaced twice because of it leaking on the right passenger side then the seals on the engine where causing a leak so that had to be repaired. Then like a month ago it was having a coolant leak and all. That was a clamp on a hose that was loose but that is not the point. These things should not have to be fixed on a car that is this new. Do not buy a Chevrolet Sonic. Never again am I going to buy an american car. Toyota here I Come.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2015

My husband drove his 2001 Chevy 2500 HD truck to McDonald's and then back no problems. He shut it off, went inside. Today and about 2 min later looked outside and flames were coming out of the windshield of his truck. Fire Department said 100% that it was faulty wiring and no other reason could have caused this fire. They pinpointed where the fire started and it was in the ignition. Therefore it was in no way his fault.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2015

This 2014 Chevy Silverado 4x4 I bought new this year is not good. This past Thursday went in for oil change. There was a recall on the four-wheel drive, was told they were going to do the upload. It is now Monday Dec. 14, the computer was messed up in the recall fix. I deserve compensation for being without my new truck 16,000 miles on it this long, not my fault for this. Early this year had a recall on driver's seat, took it in, without it again for two days, never had this much trouble with a new truck. No compensation for being without it. The dealership should take care of their customers.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2015

Rented 2014 compact car-Chevy Spark from Dollar at Pittsburgh, PA airport. This is the NOISIEST vehicle I have ever driven! I have a splitting headache. The road noise is so bad. The seats are very uncomfortable and the fuel gauge is NOT user friendly. I could not tell how much fuel was left before empty. By the time I saw the "fill fuel" I ran out of gas!!! I have never ran out of gas in my 35 yrs of driving. I have rented many cars, and I can assure you I will never rent a Spark again.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2015

2008 Chevy HHR - End of September first of October, power steering went out. Replaced fuse and relay fuse. No good. Called GM in Michigan. Talked to them about issue. Found out there was an issue with power steering. Not an actual recall. GM called the foreclosed to me. Nevada, MO. They found an issue with hooking up to computer. That cost me $95.00. They fixed the power steering. No problems since. I called Michigan first. Did not want to get run around at dealer. No problems there. Will buy Chevy again. Thank you to all who helped.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2015

To list all the main problems I'm facing with this car: For some reason the car will not start in the morning (before 8 am) even with another car providing it power with a jumper cable. I took it to the dealership to check and and they performed a full check up and resulted with a battery change (the battery we have wasn't 1 month old at the time). So I bought a battery from the dealership and had it replaced. And the problem still occurs. The dealership still don't know what's wrong with it. It works towards the afternoon and night (without any outside source of power).

While driving at any speed or even at complete rest, the gauges all turn off. The lights are there (lines for the gauges, abs, engine light, stabilitrak, park assist, traction light) but everything goes to zero (gas meter, speedometer, RPM meter, all but the volt meter). The AC is also off, just turns into fan which is horrible in a hot country. Car drives fine but you won't know what speeds you're going at. Sure it comes back after a few minutes but it will also leave within a few minutes too.

The image attached is when I'm moving about 50 km/hr. Randomly the cruise control will just die out and it won't come back on until you restart the car. Knowing those problems, this car has been in and out of the dealership and seems like they either don't know what's happening, or they don't want to admit their faults with this car line. Because the problems never leave. Hope they can find the excuse and fix it from their end so we can get on with our lives.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2015 Who do I contact? I have a 2011 Equinox with 63,000 miles on it. So far I have replaced the compressor, fuel pump, crank shaft, pistons, and the list goes on.

My concern is that Chevrolet/GMC continues to sell vehicles that are not meeting up to reputation that it claims. I also had a 2002 Chevy Impala and guess what, it had the same constant issues. I find it ironic that I buy 2 automobiles and they have the same issues. Oh and when you put your cars in the shop Chevy does not offer a rental, considering they always have to order parts and take the engine completely out of car, I have been inconvenienced for 7 days.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2015

2011 Equinox 74,000mi - Purchased New - Warranty up in 6 months - Multiple problems with Engine, StabliControl. Rusted within 4 years. Engine Replaced - Chevy will not stand behind brand new engine. They don't even trust their own product to back it up. Rust is consumer's problem. Will not back up below standard paint product used on their vehicles. (We have a Chevy 2004 Silverado with NO RUST.)

LEMON LAW - If your Vehicle is not covered under your states LEMON LAW because of time lapsed, but you still have a warranty. You may want to inquire about the FEDERAL MAGNUSON MOSS WARRANTY ACT. If your situation appears not to qualify under YOUR STATE LEMON LAW, there may be another option. A potential resource is the FEDERAL LEMON LAW. This statute is called the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act. In general it falls under the breach of warranty (BOW) theory. Restitution under this act is different than state lemon law. Instead of a refund for the defective vehicle, restitution is the difference between the Kelley blue book value of the car in excellent conditions vs. good or poor condition.

Chevy Trucks Company Information