1.09/5
Based on 39 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

392 AutoZone Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 8, 2018

In returning an alternator that went bad I was told they would order another since they didn't have it in stock and it would be in on Monday 06-04-2018. This was on a Sun 06-03-2018, went back on Mon, 06-04-18 no sign of part being ordered, the part was paid for. So let's try again; mind you I'm having to borrow a car since my car has been down since Sunday! So here's Thurs, back to AutoZone AND CANNOT FIND ORDER! And of course they make no effort and try to locate it. By this time I'm frustrated and requested a refund. I am just puzzled; WHAT IS HAPPENING TO CUSTOMER SERVICE?! Location - Stafford, TX 77477.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I live in a desert area where the temps can get over 110 a lot of the days in the summer and have gone through several Duralast batteries since I moved here. Thanks that I was always near home when they were failing so I could make it to the nearest Autozone. Last week I was driving and noticed that my lights on the dash started to flicker and looked at my OBD2 device and it said the battery was at 9 volts. I went directly to the Autozone I purchased the battery from last October and the employee checked the battery and said it was bad. I then noticed that the cap on top of the battery had blown off of the top of the battery and that caused it to lose power.

After they replaced the battery I noticed that the battery was still showing low voltage so I went to the auto repair shop and they said my alternator was bad (which I replaced 1.5 years ago but at least still under warranty). Bad thing was it was a holiday weekend so could not go anywhere for 4 days till the holiday was over and repair shop reopened. Now everything seems to be OK but am worried that this might happen again. Battery company says it probably was the alternator overcharging the battery and mechanic says battery dying cause the alternator to go bad. No one will admit anything. LOL. Below is a pic of the top of the battery that had the cap come off. Glad I wasn't on a sightseeing trip into the desert off road and this happened and couldn't get car going in this heat. Just venting because I don't know who to blame so I blame both. LOL.

Get expert buying tips about Auto Service and Repair delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 29, 2018

AutoZone did not ship this product as they had advertised. When purchasing the item the delivery time was stated on the checkout screen. However, the item has yet to arrive. I tried to reach Autozone customer service. The first representative I reached could not tell me why my product had not arrived. I was forwarded to a supervisor who was confrontational and agreed that while my product had not arrived when expected there was nothing he would do about it. I explained that due to their inaccuracies I am placed at a costly inconvenience due to a car awaiting a part for repair. He also refused to offer any coupons, codes, or discounts on a future purchase in order to help compensate me for my loss. I inquired about returning the product and he got confrontational. I do not like how I was treated. Overall, this AutoZone customer service was impolite and unhelpful.

Original review: May 27, 2018

I had a starter replaced less than a year ago by a Toyota dealership. They bought the new starter from AutoZone in Jasper, IN. with a lifetime warranty! The starter went bad less than a year later. So, after going back to the dealership I was told AutoZone would have to warranty the part! So, after going to the AutoZone store and being told by the store manager (Robbie) for approximately (5 weeks) he was going to take care of me!!! Bottom line he’s a liar and AutoZone does not honor their warranties!!! I would not recommend buying anything from AutoZone!

Original review: May 9, 2018

So I went in to return an item that someone bought by mistake. Store was very empty so I figure I'd get in and out fast. Midway through my return cashier informs me he needs someone higher up on the AutoZone foodchain to sign for it. Guy that's supposed to be doing that is too busy flirting with a young female employee. Cashier attending me then leaves me to attend other clients. I then leave to find another AutoZone with semi competent workers. Seriously AutoZone need stop hiring Highschool kids that can't keep it in their pants during work hours. Only positive thing I can say about AutoZone is they have a generous return policy when compared to O'Reilly.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Autozone?

Original review: May 5, 2018

Bought a 1/2 inch Duralast torque wrench, supposed to be Guaranteed for life...the wrench stopped working and I took it back to the store but they refused to exchange it, so I threw away the Junk Duralast and stopped doing business with all Autozone stores. I am a professional mechanic at a busy shop, I switched shop account to O'Reilly, made new vendor list without Autozone, and tell every mechanic or customer I meet not to do business with Autozone because they don't honor their warranty and have poor customer service. I will never set foot inside another Autozone store and will continue to spread the word, seems crazy to lose so much business rather than warranty a $50 wrench.

Original review: May 1, 2018

I have been an AutoZone customer for over 30 years and have spent thousands of dollars over that time. I had been accumulating points towards a credit on my next purchase. A few months ago I was told I had accumulated over $20.00 in credit on my next purchase. So, today I went and purchased new windshield wipers for my vehicle and was told I had $0 credit toward any purchase. I tried to contact the regional office but, after leaving a message, no one returned my call. This is disgusting! They have lost my business forever, that of my son, my son in law and every friend I can persuade not to buy there ever again. Fortunately I have several other auto parts dealers nearby I can buy from.

Original review: April 28, 2018

I did a Google search for a part for my truck. I stated the year & model of truck in the search. AutoZone came up as the first result as having the part. But when I clicked on AutoZone's ad the site then told me the part did not fit my vehicle. Say what? I then tried the chat on their website to find out if they actually had the part that would fit my vehicle & twice the customer service reps ended the chat before I could complete typing my initial question. This company does not appear to want your business.

Original review: April 27, 2018

I made a purchase with a coupon and was supposed to 2 rewards credits. I tried to talking with the 800 customer service but was told they would review it and contact me - they never did. I called back after a week and they claimed that because the checkout person used my remaining rewards balance that my credit was not available. What BS! That was my final straw. I was a loyal customer to them even after dealing with a ton of incompetence over 15 years. Last year, I got 3 defective alternators and finally ordered online (form someone else of course!) somewhere. One needs to cut their losses and this petty money grabbing rewards program is mine! It just shows me how much their loyal customers mean to them.

Original review: April 26, 2018

AutoZone store 0825 - Went in to the store to return a tool I borrowed and was told that I couldn’t return it because “they didn’t have money in the cash register yet, come back at 12pm”. If this is true, they have to be the worst run business in the country. If this isn’t true, they still have to be the worst run business in the country. Either way I will be spending my money at the competition from now on. I will never buy another item from that business again.

Original review: April 4, 2018

This review is not about just the store but AutoZone as a whole. The website is awful. I strongly recommend not ordering anything from them online. Shipping dates change. Promos disappear when you finalize the order and when you call they just say, "Sorry nothing we can do." They got me once but will never get me again. Will never do business with AutoZone again.

Original review: March 31, 2018

They sold me a cheap map sensor that fails constantly leaving me on the side of the road. I bought this two days ago and they do not carry a better quality alternative and won't refund my money. Do not shop here ever.

Original review: March 27, 2018

Okay I have a 2017 so I guess air filter and cabin filter are not stocked at stores yet, so I ordered via website, they are quick to take your money, but very slow on shipping or better yet in this case even slower. The est was March 22-23 2018, when I called they had no idea what happened, and why it wasn't even shipped, so after the on hold bit, they could not get anyone to answer or so they say, instead of saying, "We screwed up." Then she asked do I still need the parts, mmm let me see. Can't get filters in store or pay even more at dealer and not get the k and n high performance filter, of course I still need them so they send it FedEx 3-5 day so it will take them five days-why not make it right by shipping next day cause of your screw up. Any other parts needed I will be shopping somewhere else.

Stopped by the store, they open up at 730 am. Don't show up at 728. They won't open up two min early. I worked at an auto store before and if we had someone there a few min early we let them in. It will take more than a few min to get what they need, customer service went out the window here, even when I was being helped at the register I got interrupted by one of the sales girl because she needed to talk to the person that was helping me.

Original review: March 19, 2018

I purchased a battery at the AutoZone in Hamden CT on Dixwell Ave on Feb. 26, 2018. When purchasing the item I used two payment methods, my debit card and my credit card. The debit card took at the register for $90 but declined the credit card 3 times. There was more than enough money on the credit card to pay the remaining balance. I then called the credit card company and they informed that no such transaction was declined. By the way I made sure the phone was on speaker so that the manager working the shift could hear what the credit card company told me. Eventually because that register did not take credit card we had to cancel the transaction and move to another register.

The new register accepted the credit card in which the battery was then paid in full by the credit card. They told me the $90 would be refunded to my bank account within 3-5 business days. It is now the 19th of March and after explaining the situation from manager to manager, I have yet to receive a refund of my money. I feel as though I was robbed by this business. Completely unprofessional and very sad!

Original review: March 7, 2018

Be aware if you get a rebate make a copy of the receipt and the rebate slip then make a note to contact them after a couple of weeks to confirm they have the receipt in rebate slip. I forgot I had one. I had mailed it on January 17, I found it today March 7 and realized I had not received my rebate. I called the number on the rebate slip and was told, "Congratulations Lisa. Your rebate has been approved as of today. Allow an additional 12 weeks to receive your rebate."

If I had not of called they never would've shipped it out and it just seems very unethical. When I mentioned that to the man that I was speaking to on the phone in a gentle way, he did not disagree and made it sound like that was actually what they were hoping for. The sad part is I wasn't expecting a rebate when I purchased the wiper blades but the cashier pointed them out to me and was happy with my experience until now. Being a New auto store open right next to them and now I feel they are purposely cheating the public, I'll simply will go to the other store from now on.

Original review: March 6, 2018

Most rebates are mailed within a month of qualifying, even if the terms say it can take up to 60 days. However, AutoZone rebates take more than their promised 12 weeks. It is a ridiculously handled promotion system and is a gimmick to get you to buy specific brands of products, don't fall for it. Saving 10 dollars on a product that costs 30 is not worth it when you have to wait six months for the prepaid Visa to show up.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

This program is worthless unless you want to put yourself on a calendar and go in to spend money for something you don't need! I have lost my rewards several times along with many credits I had earned because of their now 90 day policy on credits and rewards they have put in effect. I have many rewards cards and NONE of them take away my earned rewards! If there is an expiration date on any reward cards I have, it is two years. 90 days is way too short... worthless to pay for their products which I now find are priced higher and can be purchased at other providers a lot cheaper! AutoZone, I can and will shop elsewhere.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

I bought a battery at Auto Zone Greenwood IN. I'm a single woman without auto maintenance knowledge. I trusted them. On numerous occasions. I needed a battery for my Caddy. I asked if he could please install it as well which they had before. I bought it less than a year ago. My car died at midnight in Jan. Couldn't jump it. I had to call off my next work trip costing 1,600. Lost had car towed. My mechanic called me to inform me the battery I bought was too... Small. Way too small plus a recycled battery!!!

I asked for a battery for my car. Gave description at desk like I always have and their sales person got me a battery, took it to my car, screwed it in knowing it was obviously way too small. When I was shown that battery I was amazed it looked like a 4 wheeler battery. All together that horrific experience costed me over 2,000 dollars. I'm livid. I honestly believe if I had a man with me or was one this would not have happened. Plus I was charged for a new battery!!! And it had that recycled sticker on it. Wow. I hope they make this right somehow someway. I have believed in them in the past. This is truly disheartening and very, very poor business ethics.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

I came to AutoZone in Sedalia MO to purchase 7 qts of transmission fluid and the customer service gentleman looked up what kind of fluid I need on his computer and proceeded to walk me over to the shelf with the item I need. He showed me which one I need and asked how many I need... I told him seven, and he said "ok, let me load you up" and he sure did stack all seven bottles of tranny fluid in my hands and walked empty handed behind my little 5 ft self, all the way back to the front of the store. I was very shocked and disappointed... no manners, no customer service skills, I thought about leaving without completing my purchase. Very very disappointed and disappointed.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I have a small repair shop. Used to buy everything from AutoZone. Not anymore. They are pricing themselves out of the market. If a customer can wait I will buy from Rock Auto. I can buy the same part same make from them for 80 to 100 percent cheaper. Same thing with chemicals and oil. I will go to Menards and stock up. AutoZone stock proves it. It went from 50 dollars a share to 800 dollars in a few years. All from ripping off the public. Be smart. Forget AutoZone.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

At store 1215 the staff is very helpful, the manager Jacqueline is on the other hand not very helpful at all. She is extremely uneducated and does not know how to treat customers nor her staff members. She shows no kind of respect towards the customers in her store, and to her employees either. I visited the store two days ago, I bought a sensor for my car. I had to return the sensor because it was a wrong diagnostic from my mechanic and I was not going to utilize the sensors at all. The manager told me very rudely that electric parts had no refunds.

I further explained that I had not used the sensors for the car at all, even with me telling her and proving to her that the sensor was not used in any way she continued to tell me that the sensor was in fact used. After she made me wait a long period of time, she called for an employee to do the refund for me. Even after that, she said that for "next time to think twice when buying a part." I strongly believe that this so called manager is not well prepared to work with the public, much less give respect to others.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

I purchased a fuel pump for my pick up at AutoZone and It came with a lifetime warranty. The pump malfunctioned so I removed it and brought it back into the store for a replacement, and to my surprise they forced me to wait three whole days because they had to order the part from another state!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

We bought a durable battery from AutoZone (366 Eastern Ave, Malden, MA 02148) for our Honda CRV. After that, the first trip was to our dealer to change oil. The dealer happened to give us a regular test; based on the test results, the dealer told us the “brand-new” replaced battery has some problem and needs to be taken care. When we still wondered to change the battery or not, it came the next day that we cannot even ignite the car.

Then we came to the store with the battery. The manager offered us a terrible service: firstly, he pretended to check, and told us nothing was problem; and then he blamed that either we or our dealer was lying; and then he said if he replaced a new battery for us, our warranty (three years) will not work anymore and we cannot come back for any quality problem in the future; and at the same time, he just tried to charge some fee for the replacement or the refund requirement. Finally, he said the dealer could do some improper things like change the connection of our car and disfunction the battery(??!!)

Guess what, after we insisted to refund and replaced another brand battery from another store, everything goes back to perfect. What a terrible product and services AutoZone offered. I won’t step in it anymore and recommend that whoever has bought a battery should test theirs to make sure they got a good one for their money.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

When I walked into an AutoZone on Milton Ave. There was one worker working with customer and 4 customers in line. All you could hear was workers in the back laughing and talking about "cradling their balls!" How unprofessional. So I finally had someone to help me. I asked him, "Could you help me figure out what kind of windshield wipers I needed." He looked it up and pointed down the aisle and said there are a lot of them down there. He never once asked me if I needed assistance. I then walked out unhappy. I have never been so disrespected at an AutoZone.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

I ordered 3 items, brake parts for rear, I got brake parts for front, I ordered spark plugs, and they weren't even close to the right ones, and something else that was wrong. So a month later I decided today was the day I tackle these jobs, I can't tell you how pissed I was when the parts were wrong. And being a month since I got the parts, I lost the slip. I live in the mountains of NH, and needed these parts to drive my jeep to my new job tomorrow. So I called the company and told them I can't make it in tomorrow because of car issues. They told me, "Don't bother, we will get someone else."

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

So I go back to AutoZone with the wrong filter they sold me, and I dont have a receipt. I bought it 2 months ago and just got around to changing it. I forgot my wallet, so I go home and get it, and now I get a different associate who tells me I cant return it without a receipt. I said, "Ok, Im going to film this now," and he walks off saying Im invading his privacy. The original guy I worked with comes over after I shut my phone down and says he'll help me if I shut up and not film. All Im trying to do is get the correct filter since the one they sold me was wrong, so my wife can go to work in a few hours. I have never been treated so bad in my life until tonight.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

My battery kept dying so I went to AutoZone. They had my battery in stock but the guy working said they weren’t allowed to do it because it would take more than 45 mins. Then he couldn’t even jump my car. I went to Advanced Auto and Tim changed it in ten minutes. AutoZone just didn’t want to do it. Advanced from now on.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Had manufacture's coupon for $30.00 on a 12 volt air compressor. The clerk scanned the coupon and did not accept. The coupon clearly states you can override the barcode manually. AutoZone clerk had no interest in helping me. Went to O'Reilly's for service. This occurred at the Augusta, Maine AutoZone.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

Duralast battery had 5 years warranty and the store gave me only $42 discount which is only 18% of the total amount that cost for new battery. What's the point of having warranty if I have to pay $101 for new one? I'm really disappointed with AutoZone and I'm seriously thinking about making NAPA Auto my regular auto shop.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I went to AutoZone on 10/27/17. It seem that they didn't know what was going on. I buy lots of parts there but lately I been force to go to O'Reilly. On 10/27 about 10:30 am I bought an air filter. When I went to pay it seem that they didn't know what to do. It was 2 women and 3 men working at the time. They couldn't open the register. I was standing there for about 5 minute then I ask them what was going on. They told me they didn't know how to open the register but I can pay with a card. I wanted to pay cash not my card so they told me to go somewhere else so I went to O'Reilly which was right door. Lately that store seem to not know what they are doing. The store is in Fitchburg Mass on John Fitch Highway. They need to do better. I really don't like O'Reilly but I get better service there.

AutoZone Company Information