AutoZone
1.18/5
Based on 39 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

AutoZone

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 19, 2018

374 AutoZone Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

I came to AutoZone in Sedalia MO to purchase 7 qts of transmission fluid and the customer service gentleman looked up what kind of fluid I need on his computer and proceeded to walk me over to the shelf with the item I need. He showed me which one I need and asked how many I need... I told him seven, and he said "ok, let me load you up" and he sure did stack all seven bottles of tranny fluid in my hands and walked empty handed behind my little 5 ft self, all the way back to the front of the store. I was very shocked and disappointed... no manners, no customer service skills, I thought about leaving without completing my purchase. Very very disappointed and disappointed.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I have a small repair shop. Used to buy everything from AutoZone. Not anymore. They are pricing themselves out of the market. If a customer can wait I will buy from Rock Auto. I can buy the same part same make from them for 80 to 100 percent cheaper. Same thing with chemicals and oil. I will go to Menards and stock up. AutoZone stock proves it. It went from 50 dollars a share to 800 dollars in a few years. All from ripping off the public. Be smart. Forget AutoZone.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

At store 1215 the staff is very helpful, the manager Jacqueline is on the other hand not very helpful at all. She is extremely uneducated and does not know how to treat customers nor her staff members. She shows no kind of respect towards the customers in her store, and to her employees either. I visited the store two days ago, I bought a sensor for my car. I had to return the sensor because it was a wrong diagnostic from my mechanic and I was not going to utilize the sensors at all. The manager told me very rudely that electric parts had no refunds.

I further explained that I had not used the sensors for the car at all, even with me telling her and proving to her that the sensor was not used in any way she continued to tell me that the sensor was in fact used. After she made me wait a long period of time, she called for an employee to do the refund for me. Even after that, she said that for "next time to think twice when buying a part." I strongly believe that this so called manager is not well prepared to work with the public, much less give respect to others.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

I purchased a fuel pump for my pick up at AutoZone and It came with a lifetime warranty. The pump malfunctioned so I removed it and brought it back into the store for a replacement, and to my surprise they forced me to wait three whole days because they had to order the part from another state!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

We bought a durable battery from AutoZone (366 Eastern Ave, Malden, MA 02148) for our Honda CRV. After that, the first trip was to our dealer to change oil. The dealer happened to give us a regular test; based on the test results, the dealer told us the “brand-new” replaced battery has some problem and needs to be taken care. When we still wondered to change the battery or not, it came the next day that we cannot even ignite the car.

Then we came to the store with the battery. The manager offered us a terrible service: firstly, he pretended to check, and told us nothing was problem; and then he blamed that either we or our dealer was lying; and then he said if he replaced a new battery for us, our warranty (three years) will not work anymore and we cannot come back for any quality problem in the future; and at the same time, he just tried to charge some fee for the replacement or the refund requirement. Finally, he said the dealer could do some improper things like change the connection of our car and disfunction the battery(??!!)

Guess what, after we insisted to refund and replaced another brand battery from another store, everything goes back to perfect. What a terrible product and services AutoZone offered. I won’t step in it anymore and recommend that whoever has bought a battery should test theirs to make sure they got a good one for their money.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Autozone?

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

When I walked into an AutoZone on Milton Ave. There was one worker working with customer and 4 customers in line. All you could hear was workers in the back laughing and talking about "cradling their balls!" How unprofessional. So I finally had someone to help me. I asked him, "Could you help me figure out what kind of windshield wipers I needed." He looked it up and pointed down the aisle and said there are a lot of them down there. He never once asked me if I needed assistance. I then walked out unhappy. I have never been so disrespected at an AutoZone.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

I ordered 3 items, brake parts for rear, I got brake parts for front, I ordered spark plugs, and they weren't even close to the right ones, and something else that was wrong. So a month later I decided today was the day I tackle these jobs, I can't tell you how pissed I was when the parts were wrong. And being a month since I got the parts, I lost the slip. I live in the mountains of NH, and needed these parts to drive my jeep to my new job tomorrow. So I called the company and told them I can't make it in tomorrow because of car issues. They told me, "Don't bother, we will get someone else."

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

So I go back to AutoZone with the wrong filter they sold me, and I dont have a receipt. I bought it 2 months ago and just got around to changing it. I forgot my wallet, so I go home and get it, and now I get a different associate who tells me I cant return it without a receipt. I said, "Ok, Im going to film this now," and he walks off saying Im invading his privacy. The original guy I worked with comes over after I shut my phone down and says he'll help me if I shut up and not film. All Im trying to do is get the correct filter since the one they sold me was wrong, so my wife can go to work in a few hours. I have never been treated so bad in my life until tonight.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

My battery kept dying so I went to AutoZone. They had my battery in stock but the guy working said they weren’t allowed to do it because it would take more than 45 mins. Then he couldn’t even jump my car. I went to Advanced Auto and Tim changed it in ten minutes. AutoZone just didn’t want to do it. Advanced from now on.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Had manufacture's coupon for $30.00 on a 12 volt air compressor. The clerk scanned the coupon and did not accept. The coupon clearly states you can override the barcode manually. AutoZone clerk had no interest in helping me. Went to O'Reilly's for service. This occurred at the Augusta, Maine AutoZone.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

Duralast battery had 5 years warranty and the store gave me only $42 discount which is only 18% of the total amount that cost for new battery. What's the point of having warranty if I have to pay $101 for new one? I'm really disappointed with AutoZone and I'm seriously thinking about making NAPA Auto my regular auto shop.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I went to AutoZone on 10/27/17. It seem that they didn't know what was going on. I buy lots of parts there but lately I been force to go to O'Reilly. On 10/27 about 10:30 am I bought an air filter. When I went to pay it seem that they didn't know what to do. It was 2 women and 3 men working at the time. They couldn't open the register. I was standing there for about 5 minute then I ask them what was going on. They told me they didn't know how to open the register but I can pay with a card. I wanted to pay cash not my card so they told me to go somewhere else so I went to O'Reilly which was right door. Lately that store seem to not know what they are doing. The store is in Fitchburg Mass on John Fitch Highway. They need to do better. I really don't like O'Reilly but I get better service there.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

Auto Zone Gardner Kansas doesn't care!!! I bought a battery 6 months ago for a atv type machine and it is dead. They said they would try to recharge it but it wouldn't take a charge and they didn't care. I said I would never buy another one of their batteries and she said, "I don't blame you." So there you go, buying anything in that store is a waste of money!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

Bought exhaust wrap and metal ties for exhaust job, did not need the material. 3 weeks went by, lost receipt, returned the items to store where bought, and was told, I had to put the money from the items 74 dollars on a reward card. I agreed, because I am always needing auto parts. Went back in the store 1 week later for some rubber hoses, and a replacement ratchet I had lost, was informed my total was 64 dollars. I give him my rewards card and he informed me I still owed 64 dollars. He then informed me that it's a point system. I should have just burnt that money, it is gone. Good scam AutoZone.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

My friend recommended the AutoZone on 311 East University Avenue in Urbana. Thank you my friend for your wonderful advice! ** not only found everything that was needed but also installed it. Excellent work, super nice attitude! Will come back and tell everyone about this place - thank you very much, **!

Original review: July 25, 2017

Had a Duralast U1-3 Gold battery I had bought for my riding mower about a year and a half ago. I took it to the local AutoZone store in Porter, TX to have it tested. Much to my amazement, the guy simply tests the voltage and declares the battery is good. I asked "how can you say the battery is good without having done a load test on it?" I was told that was their procedure, if the battery was below a certain voltage it was deemed to be bad, otherwise good. I know enough about lead acid batteries to know you absolutely cannot test one by simply checking its voltage.

The battery has to be put under a load for a specific period of time-based on the batteries Cold Cranking Amps known as CCA. With the battery under load, the amount of voltage drop across the load is measured and this voltage determines if the battery is good or bad. Many times, one can put a bad battery on a charge and get a reading of 13 volts but said battery still not be able to deliver the amperage demanded of it. I took the battery to O'Reilly Auto Parts and they had the proper equipment.

First they get the CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) of the battery to be tested and input it into the test unit. The load test unit has two huge resistors inside and they get very hot. This puts the proper load on the battery for the test. Testing a lead acid battery in any other manner is a waste of time. Just because a battery can hold a charge at 13v doesn't mean it can deliver on its CCA rating. AutoZone's battery testing procedure, at least at the store I was at, is completely, utterly bogus. Have your batteries tested at O'Reilly.

AutoZone's battery testing procedures are a scam. I consider their testing methods to be completely fraudulent because batteries that really are bad will be tested as good. The only one that is helped by this is AutoZone, especially if it is a warranty battery, but on the other hand they also lose sales because batteries that really are bad are passed off as good. I have to conclude they must have a *lot* of warranty issues with their batteries and their testing methods will rule in their favor. There should be laws against this kind of gross behavior.

Original review: July 22, 2017

I had a very bad experience today. I went because my car starts cranking slow and I wanted to check my battery if that is the problem (it's a year and half battery). The guy said not enough power so he took off the battery for charging. He called me after 1 hour to tell me it's a bad battery and needs to be replaced. He sold me $140 battery, of course installation for free. He closed the hood and that's it. Then I asked him if he can check my alternator if the new battery is charging well. After the test he said: "Oh, it says charging failed. You should check your cables or alternator." So I was shocked and asked him how he knew that my old battery is bad when obviously there is a problem causing my battery to not working. I asked the guy twice, "Are you sure I need a new battery and my old one is bad?" Then I wanted to get the old one and he said, "I am so sorry but I can't give you your old battery because you didn't pay $18 for charging the old one." Whaaat!!!

So I offered to give him $18 for my old battery BUT I will check on two different places the battery and if it's good battery I will return everything because I don't want to spend $140 for no reason. He said, "Nope you can't. If it once installed, no returns. That's the policy." Whaaat!!! Even if I never needed your new battery. That's insane. So I came with an issue, then spend $140 and I am going back with the same issue? After wasting my 2 hours in this store finally I got my money back. So guys be careful. They just want to sell you new stuff no matter if you need it. Nobody tells you they got your old battery and probably they selling this batteries for recycle. Very bad service. Always check your stuff first before you go, just in case.

Original review: July 8, 2017

On 6/24/17 a battery cart rolled off the curb while they were changing my battery. Steve, manager came out said get a quote... I did, have made several calls to the store, he never returned my calls. I have to continue to call him. 7/1/17 emailed the quote & pics... No word back. Called 7/7/17 @ 4:30, now tells me the attachment didn't open. Really, can't hit the freaking reply button a week ago. Today said give him 30 minutes & he would call me back. As expected, not a man of his word. Still waiting 3 hours now.

Original review: July 4, 2017

I've gone to AutoZone for years because it's right down the road from me. Convenient. 15 years of so-so service. However, a Duralast battery that fails after two years and two months is complete garbage. Two months after warranty expires and no pro-rated time. It's even the higher CCA than the vehicle required. Its pretty disgusting a store carries garbage like this. The counter guy's reply, "Maybe you should have bought the gold series". Maybe they shouldn't sell garbage. Batteries are such a scam now. Thanks Obama for making laws that drove up the costs of batteries.

Original review: July 2, 2017

First off the acting manager was very rude and had no knowledge of anything. He had someone help me who was new. I have 3 cars that I use Autozone for all my parts. So today I go there for my brakes which is under warranty for my Tahoe. The inexperience guy told me that everything was good. He sees them and went got me new ones and all I have to do is return them for a full refund. This I know. I do this process all the time. Nothing different. Change them go back and try to get my money back and they said it's not in the system. Now everyone is standing around looking stupid l. This is the store #0986 in Stone Mountain GA. Never go here. Nobody knows what they doing now. I have a whole new warranty and I'm out $102 bucks.

Original review: June 23, 2017

The battery for my vehicle needed to be replaced in December of 2016 for my 2001 Nissan Altima. I purchased a 5 yr Duralast battery. The first one started having issues a few months after I purchased it. I thought it was something wrong with my car that was causing the battery to be weak, so I charged it a few times and lived with the weak charge for a couple more months. When I took it in they tested it, and the battery was bad. The replacement only lasted about 2 months before the failure of one of the cells caused my car to die on the freeway. I had to have my car towed to the shop and they tested my electrical system and the battery and once again the Duralast battery that I got from AutoZone was bad. I should have checked for complaints about these batteries before I put the same battery back in my car and it would have saved me a lot of money. Never again will I buy a Duralast battery.

Original review: June 13, 2017

I ordered a driveshaft from AutoZone.com a week ago Monday and I only went with them because they claimed they'd have it to me by Thursday since I paid an extra $63 to expedite shipping. Come Friday I still didn't have a shipping confirmation and my order status was the same as its been all along "Processing". I called and spoke with a lady that assured me she was going to move my order to their I.T. team to resolve the issue immediately and that I'll be hearing from them shortly. Monday afternoon comes around and still no word from anyone and no change on my order status. I called them back to ask for an update and this time I got a complete jackass that told me the order was fine. That the I.T. team was just finishing up correcting an issue on their end and that I'd have the driveshaft by Tuesday or at the absolute latest it would be Wednesday.

I explained to him that if they didn't have the part or if they had a problem just to let me know so that I could order one elsewhere as I'm in desperate need of getting my truck going again but he assured me everything was fine and I'd have it shortly. I quite wasn't comfortable with this guy as he came across like he just was telling me what I wanted to hear and was rushing to get me off the phone. I called back that night and asked for a manager to confirm what I was earlier told. The manager said they had a glitch on their end and my order was "froze". That it could be days before I.T. could fix the issue and that it would be best to cancel the order and reorder the item. She also assured me that she would personally put a rush my new order so that it will ship that next day.

I keep checking and nothing has changed. I'm week out and still haven't received a shipping confirmation. I'm no better off than I was a week ago as I'm still paying $40 a day for a rental car and have no end in sight. When she asked me to cancel the order I asked her several times if you're not sure of the shipping time or if you guys don't physically don't have the part let me know now and I'll order elsewhere but once again they screwed me. Everything I've heard from these people has been a lie. Lesson learned.

Original review: June 13, 2017

Oregon AutoZone Stores SUCK. They will NOT answer phones. They let them ring for 1 minute then it auto-disconnects. They say, "were busy", and customers will call back. My personal record is 90 minutes of straight calling BEFORE they answered. Well this customer has dropped $50,000.00 into AutoZone over the past 20 years, but, I won't drop another 50,000.00 bucks in there. Get your act together AutoZone before we see the 'going out of business' signs go up!

Original review: June 11, 2017

I can't even get their website to work. Every time I try to order a part the website will either send me to the previous page, not disclose the amount of the item I wish to purchase or change the vehicle I'm trying to find parts for to a different car. As a automotive technician it is frustrating to say the least. I'm very surprised AutoZone has not figured out this is a problem. I know they have lost business from me BC of it. I'll just go to a different parts maker who I know will be able to complete my orders and have a website that I can navigate.

Original review: June 9, 2017

My son bought 2 hub assemblies for a 2000 Ford Focus. We installed one. The other was ok so we tried to return it to the store. He paid 70% in cash the rest with a annex gift card. No money left on the card. Threw it out. When we went back to return it they said that the money goes back to the card. But it was a gift card not a credit card. They said you have to go to the gift card company to get your refund. They didn't even offer a store credit that I could use later so as far as I'm concerned they stole the money. We're out 30 dollars that could of been fixed with a store credit.

Original review: June 2, 2017

I have always felt welcomed, valued, and respected at all Auto Zone locations, but this experience has definitely tainted my perception. My check engine lit up yesterday so I went to Auto Zone to get the code(s) and purchase whatever was needed to fix the problem(s). There were 2 associate workers and 1 store manager. When I walked in, an associate worker asked what I needed. I told him, and he proceeded to walk to my car. Just before he got to the door, the store manager (Michael **) said to the associate, "Don't go out there. We get to non-paying customers when we want." I waited, because they were a bit busy.

All customers had left and the other associate came to help. As the associate stepped out the door the store manager barked, "She is a non-paying customer. Don't go out there. There's some stuff to put up in the back." The associate rolled his eyes, but complied. I responded, "How do you know I'm not buying anything?" He ignored me and asked me to leave the store. I'm unsure how this man earned his position in a customer service role, but he needs additional training. I have never felt so disrespected and devalued by an employee, especially not one at manager level. I drove miles away to a farther location because a MANAGER lacks respect, customer service, and had an awful attitude.

Original review: May 18, 2017

It seems like the employees at the store in Manchester N.H. are afraid of the cash register. Several times in the past I have waited to make a purchase. Yesterday, May 17, 2017 was the last time because I will never buy anything from them again. While waiting at the counter for at least 5 min, 2 employees just walked right past me without even looking at me. One had just come in from having a cigarette. You idiots need to get your ** together! I have spent a lot of money at your store over the last 10 years and will never set foot in your store again or any other AutoZone. I will gladly go out of my way to find another supplier. You've lost another customer.

Original review: May 9, 2017

I called in and they said it would be hours and my customers were waiting and they said that they didn't have the parts when they did in stock at both locations. It's a shame people do not care about others or their job. Definitely in the wrong CAREER.

Original review: May 8, 2017

I went into the AutoZone in DeBary, Fl. looking for 2 brass fittings. 3/8 NPT X 3/8" hose and 1/4 NPT X 3/8" hose to finish the Edelbrock carburetor install on a 1966 C10 pickup truck. I also needed a 3/8" universal metal fuel filter. All common components of a street rod fuel system. They didn't have the parts I needed! The employee sent me to the Orange City store another 5 miles away. The same story. I went back to the O'Reilly's I passed to go to the Orange City store. They had everything I needed. Only thing, the Edelbrock fuel line was $2 more expensive at O'Reilly's than AutoZone, other than that I was able to finish my carburetor install.

Original review: April 29, 2017

I been having trouble left and right. Nothing works. My log is never the right password when it is. I always have to reset it and use the password AutoZone gives me. Nothing is accurate. Everything is out of date. Why have an online app and AutoZone employees can't even use. It's ridiculous. Just get someone to fix your software or recreate a new generated code and disable all online activities till it's all resolved. I think you're a great company but it's 2017 not 2000. Keep UP Hope this goes to someone soon. Or I'm done with AutoZone. I will no longer stress myself if your company can't even have tracking on our shipments. A little kid can do a tracking number for shipping labels.

AutoZone Company Information

Autozone
www.autozone.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use