Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
AutoNation
3.39/5

AutoNation

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

AutoNation Reviews

Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

DO NOT BUY A CAR FROM THEM UNLESS YOU READ THIS FIRST!!! My wife and I bought a certified used car (2013 SL63AMG) the day before Thanksgiving last year (2018). As we were driving off, we noticed an ABC malfunction code (hydraulic suspension code) on the dashboard. The car began making a really rough noise and vibrations. It wasn't supposed to do that. After Thanksgiving, we called and we were told not to worry and to just drop the car off and it would be fixed, since it was warrantied for 90 days.

Four months later and 20, yes, 20 service appointments later, they were unable to fix the ABC service light. Supposedly, they even had a Mercedes Benz engineer come to their dealership to look at the car, since they had been unable to fix it for the prior 19 times. Meanwhile, for the days that the car had been with us, we've had two major water leaks, for which required the car to be towed to their shop, and for which they did fix, to their credit.

Out of the four months that we had the car, it was in their possession and at their shop for nine weeks. In one instance, the car was driven for 75 miles. The person who drove it, smoked even cigarettes in it. On one of those 20 service appointments and while they were waiting for a part, they wanted to keep the car for a three-day weekend. We told them no way!!! We told them, "When you get the part, we will drop the car off." We learned that the shop foreman and even their mechanics take customer cars out for the weekend "supposedly" checking cars...while riding out and having fun on customer cars.

On the 20th visit, and after the engineer allegedly fixed the problem, the Miami Autonation Mercedes Service Manager told us that after 20 service appointments of us being very patient and working with them in bringing the car back for so many times, that the store general manager (Mike **) had given him permission and the okay to buy the car back at the full price we paid, if the ABC light was to come back on again.

Well, guess what? The ABC code did come back!! We brought the car back, told the service manager that, "We've had enough...and now it's time for you guys to keep your word. We need our money back!!" The service manager said, "Not to worry, we'll keep our promise." So, we took the tag off of the car and left. The manager, of course, was on vacation and nobody else could take care of us until he came back a week later.

On the first day the general manager was back from vacation, we went back to finalize the paperwork and get our money back. They kept us there all day: He wasn't in yet, had another meeting, blah, blah, blah. They bought back the car all right, but not as they had promised us. Now the story had been changed to "well...we'll buy the car by offering you a fair market value/price". Well, basically, that translated into we got screwed and we lost $8,000 because now they didn't want to pay us what we bought the car for. The bottom line is, after 20 service visits and four months of us dealing with a major inconvenience of going back and forth and being hustled and ripped off by Miami Autonation Mercedes, they did not fix the warrantied problem and they DID NOT keep their promise of giving back what we paid them for their car.

DO NOT BELIEVE them if you buy a car and there is something wrong with it, that they will fix it with the 90-day warranty. They were more concerned about how much money they would be losing out of their pocket, instead of making sure the customer was pleased and got all their money back because they sold a defective car that they could not fix. At the end of the day, they LIED to us and they ripped us off!! Shame on such a large auto dealer like Autonation!!!! SHAME ON MERCEDES-BENZ CORPORATION FOR ALLOWING A FRANCHISE TO RIP CUSTOMERS OFF!!!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

I just bought a new 2020 Durango SRT from Cindy Woods at Auto Nations Dodge in Mobile, AL. I have been buying new cars for over 55 yrs. and this was easiest purchase I have ever made. If you are looking for a new or used vehicle try Auto Nations Dodge in Mobile AL. Ask for Cindy **, you will not be disappointed.

Get expert buying tips about Car Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

I would like to share my recent experience with a local car dealership. I went to Auto Nation Ford in Frisco, TX to buy my new Ford Edge. As negotiations started the usual tricks were tried with me, at one point they decreased my trade value $3000, to give me a lower price on the vehicle, assuming I wouldn’t notice. I was ready to leave when Cody **, the sales manager took over. We eventually agreed on a price for my vehicle. At that time, Cody **, shook my hand, said sign here without reviewing terms and I went into financing. As I met the gentleman doing my contract, Lorenzo **, he proceeded to hit on me, suggesting that I wouldn’t need to change my initials when we got married, along with other comments. I ignored his advances and we sat down to do my paperwork.

After an exhausting exchange about a maintenance package, I began to get frustrated. Mr. ** said that I needed the package because I was a single, female. When I said I did not, he pushed and questioned where and who would be doing my maintenance, which is absolutely none of his business. Finally, I had to tell him to stop arguing with me, I would never be getting the package and to finish my paperwork. It is unacceptable to treat a woman like this in a professional environment. Going through the paperwork, I noticed an additional $1,500 in “optional” fees that were not disclosed to me. I told Mr. ** that I did not agree to these charges and wanted them removed, he left the room and Mr. ** came back in. He looked me in my eye and said that they could not be removed from my contract, period.

I am not a lawyer but am pretty sure lying about a contract is illegal. Regardless, I trusted him, signed and left. Once home, I was able to read every single word in my contract. Interesting enough, it states that the optional fees are OPTIONAL and can be removed. After realizing I was blatantly lied to about my contract, I called Mr. ** to let him know my frustration and demand the $1,500 be removed from my loan amount. Mr. **’s excuse for blatantly lying to me about my contract was that he was TRAINED to say that. Again, I am pretty sure that lying intentionally about a contract would constitute FRAUD. In the same conversation I mentioned my student discount of $500, which I had yet to receive. He assured me that they hadn’t received the certificate yet but as soon as they did, they would cut a check to me.

A few days later my new loan paperwork was ready and I went in to sign. Of course they, “forgot” to remove one of the $500 charges, which I caught. I had to wait another hour for a loan officer to open up. This one, thankfully, did not hit on me. I again asked Cody ** about my student certificate, he said he would take care of it then disappeared and I did not see him the rest of my visit. I finished paperwork and left. I emailed Cody to let me know when my discount would be ready. He ignored my email, so I called the next day, he ignored my call so I called and emailed the day after that. Then I called the store and left a message. Finally, I get an email from him saying that he can’t stack that discount with others and I would not be receiving my discount. Basically, he led me to believe I would get it the entire time, just to complete the sale. He is the Sales Manager and would know from the start what discounts can be combined.

After all of this, I received a survey, which I answered honestly. Next, I receive a call from retention manager, Jeannea **, she listened and I thought was receptive to my issues. She spoke with her GM, Mr. **, who said if I change my review to “Excellent” then I can have my student discount. I am not sure what that is called…extortion or maybe blackmail? I do know it is a bad business practice to force someone’s good review. I expressed to Jeannea that it was unethical to require someone to do this, she ignored that and just said my check would be sent when they received my “Excellent” review.

Regardless, I did what I was told and received my student discount. Now I want to know how much of my experience was legal and moral. I don’t expect much from dealerships but how they treated me here is disgusting. Is it because I am a woman? This is exactly why online car dealerships are exploding and retail store fronts will be put out of business.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2019

We purchased a 2009 BMW 328i last August 2019. It had 92,*** miles when purchased. I was assured that I have a 90 day or 4,000 mile warranty if the car breaks down. Last October 30, 2019 the car started rough. I know it was a misfire. I contacted the dealer and dropped it off the next day for repair. I informed them that it is still under the 90 day or 4,000 mile warranty. The Service Adviser called me that I have engine misfire due to multiple failed ignition coil. She also informed me that my claim was denied since it was caused by a spark plug which was not a listed warranty item.

My warranty contract does not show spark plugs as included or excluded item. Also my warranty contract does not show ignition coils as covered warranty item. Pretty much my warranty contract does not show a lot of items covered. My contention is that if they want to be specific on what's covered they also need to be specific on what's excluded because if I was told that spark plugs are excluded I would have requested this replaced or checked prior to purchase. Spark plugs for BMW are recommended by BMW service since owners really have no idea when it should be replaced. I had a 2014 X3 and it was done every 50,000 and I had a 2007 X3 which was done at 90,000 just before my warranty expired.

Covered on my warranty are: Engine, Transmission, Electrical, front wheel drive, rear wheel drive, steering, front suspension, rear suspension, air conditioning, hybrid/electrical components, cooling, fuel delivery, safety system, seals and gasket. (Each item has a list of components.) Exclusions on the warranty are: modifications, abuse, misuse, negligence, collision, manufacturer recall, non covered condition. (Explanation and scenario on each line.)

I ask them which part of the exclusion applies to me. They said non-covered condition. Spark plugs are part of maintenance. But that exclusion line does not mention anything about maintenance. All they could tell me is that it is not on the listed item as covered warranty. I explained to them that under Electrical it mention distributor and coil. Modern cars don't have Distributor Ignition System but they have Coil on Plug Ignition System. This line should apply to my vehicle. I am still waiting AutoNation Warranty to respond to me. I have been in contact with the Auto Nation Warranty claim most of the time. The dealership is still undecided on helping me. The car has been in the shop for 7 days.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

Bought a new 2019 911 4s from Bellevue Porsche in Washington. Three months after getting a custom build going a key feature of my build was eliminated by Porsche. Not the dealer's fault but no one told me and I might have chosen other options. I felt like once I took delivery (option was engine related and not visible) they were done with me and were not honest about the situation at pick up. Did not even apologize for not telling me on a 163000 dollar car. They never call back when they say they will follow up. Let's hope the service department is better than sales.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Autonation?

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

We purchased a used vehicle from AutoNation. When we looked at it, they were installing a new wiring harness. We almost didn't purchase it fearing future issues. They assured us they would stand behind the work, and stated it had passed their "rigorous inspection process". Nine months later, we had a catastrophic transmission failure. We towed it to our mechanic. He stated that the wiring harness was not installed properly. Many of the wires were not connected. The fuse box was dangling and was not secured. The engine was 1.5 gallons low on water. There were 19 "Check Engine" codes that we were never aware of, since the wiring harness was disconnected.

We contacted our salesman and were asked to tow it to them. He stated they would "work with us". He guaranteed they would repair the transmission cheaper than our mechanic. We had the vehicle there for a week. We were finally able to speak with the General Manager. He was rude, dismissive, condescending. He only looked up from his computer long enough to tell us that this was not their responsibility. They offered to repair the transmission for $1,000 MORE than our mechanic. We lost time and money believing that they would stand behind their work and "work with us" as they stated. We will never buy another vehicle from them. We will tell everyone we know to not deal with AutoNation.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

Just as the other customers I was duped by AutoNation in Houston, S. Loop. They'd just received a trade-in and put listed it online as ready. So I came in to buy it and it was in the shop with the mechanics. They told me I buy but it now then come get it when it's finished and ready. After a week I came back to get it and had problems on my drive home. Turned around and took it back. They kept it about 2 weeks this time replacing parts. Picked it up and it still wasn't driving just right, but I was too busy to go back. I went back about 2 weeks and said it still wasn't right and they told me I must have hit something. Even though I hadn't put hardly any miles in those 2 weeks from the original when I bought it they insisted car was driving correctly due to my error. JUST SAY NO TO AUTONATION.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

I WOULD STRONGLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU DO NOT PURCHASE A VEHICLE FROM THESE PEOPLE. Been dealing with this dealership for almost 3 months with numerous issues they can't seem to wrap their brains around even a simple alignment. They released information regarding the previous owner of the vehicle purchased (including ssn, contact number, home address, dl number, etc.). They then released copies of a driver's license with rental information for another young lady who had the rental prior to us.

They falsified the "inspection" by checking "meets standards" on everything except things like wiper blades. And they didn't even do that until He was back in there a week after purchasing it! Then again provides the previous owners diagnosis quote (along with all that other personal information) indicating the truck is NOT safe. The previous owners didn't want to eat the cost and traded it in. They turned around and sold it to us the SAME DAY as a "safe vehicle", after we SPECIFICALLY discussed the safety portion with our kids and hauling trailers. And they didn't bother to so much as vacuum it, let alone fix the wiper blades. SMDH.

*Please note there had been at least 2 weeks of back and forth with them regarding our needs/wants and our main concerns, they were well aware of what we were looking for.* I could go on, but I am sure by now you get the point... I truly hope you choose any other dealership than Autonation especially if you care about your life and the life of those in your vehicle; they will send you away in a death trap and convince you it's the best thing since sliced bread.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2019

Everyone was nice enough, however I waited for quite a while for them to get my vehicle financed. I do not like the fact that they added all of their warranties and products onto the numbers they were giving me. Everywhere I have bought a vehicle gives you the price then asks if you want to add on extended warranty. Tire protection, oil changes etc. They just automatically put it in.

I have tried to call the finance manager Paul ** (however you spell his last name) at the Waco office and left messages. Not good about calling back, it's like once they make their sale they are done with you. Good ole greed takes over. The salesman Billy **, seemed nice but acted irritated when I bought the truck back because there was a chip on the windshield. I know this is their job they are in it to make money, but some people you can tell after they see what they are going to get out of the deal. They are not as nice to you once the deal is final. They even tried to sell me a cheaper vehicle because they couldn't make it work at first with their products added into the price. Probably won't go back here to do business.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

I claimed for small dent that occurred to my car. AutoNation won’t cover stating it is not repairable. They will make loopholes and will make up exclusions so basically they won’t cover for anything. You can’t do anything because you already paid and business is by phone. You will be enticed to sign up for dent insurance because it’s for 7 years for $899 and if you think about it is cheap because dents or dings in your car is most likely to happen but I’m telling you, once you submit a claim, they won’t cover it and will make a lot of exclusion criteria and there is nothing you could do because you already paid and they won’t do anything! They will even hang up the phone and you will get tired calling.

AutoNation Company Information