1.60/5

Save on Repairs

Get the Best Extended Warranty

Get Quotes

280 AutoNation Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

Bought 640i online, preowned. Was told by John ** car was in “pristine” condition. Was not. Chrome wheels were pitted and trim had no shine. Later talked to Chris ** about the problem and neither will return our multiple calls.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I brought a vehicle in for ongoing warranty/recall work. We were clear on multiple occasions that we didn't want any additional services completed. We were told that the warranty issues were "fine" but that they had found nearly $2,000 of other work they had diagnosed. We told them to put vehicle back together, to do nothing, and that we would have the vehicle inspected by our mechanic. We went to pick up the vehicle and were met by $329 of "diagnostic" fees even though they completed no work and repaired nothing! At this point, my wife was late for work and my child was late for school and my vehicle was being held hostage.

After complaining, a service Manager lied to my face and told me that I had agreed to this when I dropped the vehicle off... That never happened. After complaining loudly, the price was reduced to $256 as the only way to get my vehicle back. I next attempted to contact the General Manager on multiple occasions and no one would ever return my call. The next contact showed the true lack of integrity of this company. After not hearing from the GM for over a week, I was contacted by a sales rep telling me that according to the General Manager, they would take care of my "service issue," if and only if, I purchased a new vehicle from them. It is the service department that ripped me off. Why would I buy a 2nd car from this company if they wouldn't stand behind the 1st car I purchased from them? Stay away!!

Get expert buying tips about Car Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I was initially pleased with the online internet service I received prior to purchasing my 2018 Toyota Highlander. I have purchased three Highlanders from this same dealership in previous years and for the most part the service has been great. However this in-dealership purchase experience on 9/6/2018 was less than satisfactory.

Sydney my salesperson was a nice young lady, however she was not consistent in the information. Prior to completing the paperwork we discussed color options for the vehicle and if necessary she would drive to another location to get the color that I wanted, she assured me that I would not be limited. Once I completed the credit application, we did a test drive and while driving we discussed the pressure off by a car and that this was my first time working with a woman. She explained that she didn't work on commission so I didn't need to be concerned with that (OK that was transparent - understood) but, I do not think that would have been my response.

The real issue came in when we returned, she took my application to the credit dept. then returned and said because of the time of year we only have three colors: White, silver and grey. While that was annoying, I didn't comment. She showed me the colors and I selected silver and then decided to go with gray. I inquired about the cost of tinting the front windows on the vehicle and she said she didn't know but I could set that up when the car was delivered.

COULD NOT FOLLOW THROUGH ON COMMITMENT - We returned to her desk area and she went to "Check" on the credit application - she returned and said "Good news, we will be able to keep your payment the same." She mentioned the finance dept want to haggle and she told them I didn't have time for that. After I said OK, she went back to them and got the paperwork outlining the sale.

She told me "Unfortunately, we do not have your car on the lot. It has to be brought in from the port and will not be here for a week." Again frustrated I asked her what if I opted to go with another color, she said the same situation would apply. Again, frustrated I said fine. She told me I would complete the paperwork when I returned to pick up the vehicle and so I left.

About 5 days later she texted me and said I could come get my car as it was being detailed. When I arrived, she placed me and my mother at a desk and said someone with finance would be with me shortly. After waiting 20 minutes she came back and said 10 more minutes, 15 minutes passed - no finance associate. She returned and noticed my frustration and said another 10 minutes and I didn't respond. A salesman came by and said 10 more minutes we are setting up your features in the car. So I told him, my car is sitting outside, no one is setting up the features, I have been waiting nearly an hour for the finance dept. He looked at me and said 10 minutes and walked off. After about 5 minutes he came back and walked me to the finance area.

The finance rep, told me my file was not his but he was doing a favor. He walked me through the paperwork "Telling me the name of the document I was signing." NEVER stopping to tell me my options, warranties, never giving me my detail kit like I received with my other 2 purchases and then shuffling me out of his office. While time was of the essence, decreasing the level of customer service was not a good trade out. After leaving the dealership I received a survey and shared my thoughts about the entire experience. A few days later I received a letter from Ms. ** that said if I had any issues to call - so I did.

POOR FOLLOW UP - Ms. ** explained she received my survey and she was going over it with her General Manager. She basically repeated the same thing over and over - that she had talked with Sydney and they would take care of the issue. Not once was an apology extended a means of offer a service or option for the inconvenience. She circled back around to the tint question and said, "Did anyone ever contact you about the cost for the tint." I told her no - she said, "OK. Well I will check on that and email you." I gave her my email address and guess what? I never received her email.

PAST DUE email. I received a payment pass due email from TOYOTA FINANCE - saying that my payment for my other Highlander was past due. When I called and inquired about speaking with someone, the customer service specialist said she would transfer my call - I was on hold for 12 minutes (the call was picked up 7 times and placed on hold again). I hung up and called back and was placed in a general voicemail with NO NAME. I called back and asked for the general manager (same issue). Left a message and waiting on a call. While this is not my standard - Jeopardizing my credit and being pushed assigned as if my feedback doesn't matter spiked this concern.

I am not sure if the dealership is under new management since 2015 or what has happened but there are some serious concerned that need to start from the top. While committed to return for maintenance, I will not return to purchase another car. Not only was my time wasted at the dealership, I am now spending time typing numerous reviews and well as filing a BBB claim.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Hesitantly took my 2011 Silverado in on Wed Sept 12 2018 based on my previous experiences. Requested battery check. Fri Sept 14 2018. Truck is still in shop. They began an analysis I didn’t approve and inform me I need a new “crank” draining my battery. $600 bill. Phone calls here not returned and totally ignored as I informed customer relations guy there. Don’t take your car here.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

On September 1st, @ 6:30 pm, we printed from the actual AutoNation website, NOT a 3rd party or Ad, 3 trucks that shows the price, packages, and the savings. So the following morning we drove 2 hours to the dealership. Before we turned our vehicle off, we again went on their website, to verify they still had the truck, and the cost. We took a test drive, returned, and told the salesman we wanted to buy the truck. Miraculously the price jumped up almost 5k!! We realized their scam, and left. We stopped for snacks and gas on the way home, and there was a family we recognized from the dealership, and the car they wanted, also went up around $3,500. The corporate office blames TrueCar for not updating the AutoNation website. What?? Big, Big Scam.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Autonation?

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

Went to purchase truck based on price given, when it came to financing was charged $1250 for running boards that were on vehicle. Text salesmen before driving there about any extra charges. He said none.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

Please don't service your vehicle at AutoNation here in Laurel, Maryland. Management are the worse, had my truck for 3 weeks and it was return with no gas and scratches all over my new vehicle. Management claim they don't know how that happened. It was with them for the last 3 weeks.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

I bought a 2015 VW Passat from AutoNation USA in Corpus Christi, TX on 8/18/18 and noticed there were dried hard water spots all over it. I returned on 8/25/18 to get an auto detail performed, which consisted of buffing the paint in order to remove the spots. When I arrived to pick up the vehicle, I observed that the entire car was covered in deep scratches and the Black paint had obviously been burned as it emitted an array of different colors (Red, Yellow, Green). The chrome front grill and VW decal had also been scratched due to the complete incompetence of the person(s) performing the service. The hard water spots were also still present.

AutoNation USA has denied any of my allegations and attempted to convince me that the scratches were already there and under the clear coat finish of this three year old vehicle. I would never have purchased and financed a three year old $20,000 vehicle if it had such awful scratches and dulled paint on it. I would have just kept shopping around.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

Bought a car from AutoNation Acura Gulf Freeway because of the Carfax and have had nothing but problems. The manager Jeffrey ** has done nothing but drag this out. He says he will talk to the GM, Ronald **, and never calls back. This is the worst customer service ever and will never trust Carfax again.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I own a small business, my company car gave up. So I needed a delivery car. I found one for about $3500. I wanted to put $1500 down. When asked I said my credit score was about 680. That's when I was informed my score needs to be 800 or above to get financed. What a joke.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I recently received a mail offer from AutoNation Honda Miami Lakes for service, advertising some complimentary items. Once there, I found that the service representatives (2) didn't know about the offer, and they had to call their manager (evidently, there's no communication or training about the dealer's policies). The text in the offer led me to understand that I was going to have new windshield wipers, amongst other items. When clarifying that it was only liquids top off, it was clear that the offer had grammar errors and led to misleading information.

Upon my remarks on the small size of the font used at the beginning of the coupon (quite difficult to read) and the grammar mistakes, the manager just insisted on the correctness of the offer, arguing that what I was expecting was "wiper blades", which for me is an unnecessary technicality because they were offering just "windshield wiper", and the term "fluid" is incorrectly used, not encompassing all the other items included. At the end he offered to give me the "blades", but I replied that, rather than free stuff, I was looking for a honest service, and requested my car back. Intentional misleading information kills client's fidelity towards the brand and their service.

Original review: July 31, 2018

Mr. ** has to be the most amazing individual I have ever met in the car business. I cannot elaborate on my experience that brought me to meet him but the man is honest, sincere, trustworthy. He is amazing character and I would bet my life on him. I would recommend to anyone that needs assistance to seek him out and he will do the right thing. Thank you Mr. ** you’re awesome.

Original review: July 25, 2018

Very dissatisfied with my recent and will be last experience with AutoNation 2 months ago. We test drove vehicle but sure needed more time to inspect a car with all the flaws we are coming across. 1st problem was that they sent our loan to a bank other than ours even after we requested and salesperson wrote down the bank we wanted to go with... 2nd they promised to repair/replace damaged trim from passengers side and headlights (not done yet). Now with all the rain we've been getting I have leaks inside my car???? WTH.

I just took it in because remotes were not working and TPMS light came on, well they had to replace a receiver/transmitter that was not covered by my extended warranty (why would it be right)? Of course after driving the vehicle off of their lot the car is 100% our responsibility, so why offer extended warranties for $1000s that don't cover anything? All this and I've only had the vehicle for 2 months, I don't even want to know what else might go wrong with it. 2013 Yukon with 40k miles on it, too good to be true? It was. :(

Original review: July 25, 2018

Bought a car they claimed was in perfect, like new condition. Car had engine trouble and ac trouble within days, had to contact BBB to get them to repair. After repair same issues occurred costing me around 1000 to fix. Horrible service.

Original review: July 22, 2018

2018 Chevy Malibu front grill broken. They had to replace it. Also was in shop fives days. They also forgot to bolts and Shimmies back into the headlights while the fives. Also that being said Service manager said one person start and another person put it back together that didn’t know what he was doing. They had it scratched the top car of the in the hood while working on it and then this all in time I bought the car then buff out repainted.

I was pissed. Then try tell me they couldn’t do it. I told I never take my car there again. Remind I bought it 3:30 am in morning. This not way I do business. 5,000 when we got it. 6,211 drive all over than 6800 on when got back place in Denver. Took it fix it correctly and still bubble. I will be taking back in on Tuesday. I asking what they can since paint chip some places and bubbles still. I don’t under 50,000.00 for this car. I’m sorry stingray. I would have better service. I had to general Manager involved and at this point Attorney as well. We signed paperwork for a brand new car. No accident was report on Carfax. Now Attorney get involved because it’s a legal to document it. I was disappointed how the whole sale went down. Our 1,250 but I need a car. I should of waiting. Think about it. Walk away.

Original review: June 29, 2018

Bought a 2011 Ford F350 from Brooksville AutoNation. Be very careful. I was a sucker and was misled several times during and after the purchase. Was told the truck was a one owner, had at least two owners. CarFax showed no accidents. It was traded in with accident damage. AutoNation had it repaired but did not disclose it. The previous owner did! The tailgate was replaced with the wrong gate, they won't replace it with the right one. Was told I would get a check from them for other issues in 72 hours, it's been 10 days and no check. Called Scott, Sales mgr, and he said it would be cut today, I had called about it 4 times! They are a boiler room operation I would never buy another vehicle from them. I should have believed the 2 star rating for AutoNation. Obviously Mike Jackson, CEO is running a subpar operation!!!

Original review: June 26, 2018

I purchased a car from them and the very first claim I made on the policy I was told "That is not covered under the policy!!!" Funny thing, the person in Finance who sold me the policy told me that all repairs would be covered for the life of the policy. I will NEVER buy another car from these people, they are extremely dishonest!!!

Original review: June 26, 2018

I had taken my car to AutoNation in Winter Park. I took my car in for Maintenance, Oil Change, etc and they had a Mishap with my Car and it got Damaged,

Christian was my Service Tech. He was very helpful in the situation. He introduced me to Sal and Stewart the Managers. They apologized and assured me that they would do whatever it took to make it Right. And they DID. They Gave me VIP Treatment. I was WOWED with the level of service I received from them Both. (Offered me full trade in Value to put toward a New Car. This was a Wow.).

I'm not sure I can put in words Just how great they both were. Not only did they Fix the damage but when I received my car back It looked like a New Car inside and out. This is really where service counts when something happens and They care enough to put it Right. I work in the service field myself and am thoroughly Pleased and WOWED by the way I was Treated by Sal, Stewart and Christian. I will go no other place to have work done to my car and have already told so many people on how Toyota PUT IT RIGHT. Thanks so Very Much Rita **.

Original review: June 19, 2018

Fremont AutoNation: Wrong diagnostic which cost to me 4 times - Reason for visit: AC fan was always on when the ignition key was on. AutoNation Issue: 1- Wrong diagnostic which costed to me more. 2- more than 2 times for fixing the issue. AutoNation Honda Fremont did recently did a diagnostic for my car for "AC fan was always on when the ignition key was on" issue. After diagnostic, they suggested me a replacement of "Dashboard Fuse Box" and it will cost around more than $1800 (fuse box $600 '38200-SNA-A32'+ $ 1200 labor).

Then I have asked other Honda Dealers (Stevens Creek and San Leandro) because I felt it is too costly. Honda Dealers (Stevens Creek and San Leandro) told me total cost will be around $700 ($480 for fuse box +$ 228 labor cost) only. Due to huge price difference, I have shown my car Honda-Stevens-Creek, they believed the diagnostic of Honda-AutoNation and replaced the fuse box but it did not solve the issue so Honda-Stevens-Creek is again doing the car's diagnostic. I am going to share the same thing to Honda so they can take adequate action. Honda Civic 2006 LX Owner.

Original review: June 16, 2018

Customer service will make or break a business and how you treat your customers. The finance department Jason and Renne have the worst service I've seen in such a long time. I waited 4 weeks to receive the documents for the used car I, purchased because they were going through a paper based to a digital format. Renne, promised me over and over she will send me the documents 3 emails, 2 phone calls and nothing. I contacted my sales person and she was on top of it.

Jason, called me. Promised he would send me the documents in 2 or 3 days and nothing. I called Jason, told him to send me the documents or I was going to call AutoNation corporate office and cancel my extended warranty and he called me back the same day. He was very upset because my voicemail hurt his feelings. He said the documents were sent two days before... All and nothing but laying through his teeth. A simple request for a few documents and will never buy other car from Audi of Peoria in Arizona or any AutoNation dealer.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I had been researching Volvo XC60, XC90 and Cross Countries. I had reserved a car through AutoNation's website and scheduled an appointment at the Volvo Stevens Creek location. I had an expectation of what the experience would be like to purchase a luxury car. Unfortunately, AutoNation Volvo Stevens Creek did not deliver. The car we had reserved was filthy both inside and out. The person we had made the appointment with was “out to dinner”. There were no additional service/sales staff to assist us with our purchase. We waited for fifteen minutes outside then decided to walk away. We walked down the street and purchased a Honda Pilot instead. As I stated, we were buying a car, we were not just browsing. I emailed the manager I had been working with but never received a callback. I contacted Volvo USA directly today and when I am ready to purchase a Volvo I will be going directly through them.

Resolution response: June 10, 2018

Autonation paid for the break repair.

Original review: May 30, 2018

Sold me a car with motor oil in the break line: Purchased a used Honda fit 2008 in Feb. 2018 From AutoNation Honda. Weeks later the car's brakes were getting soft but only when we started it and the car engine was cold. And then a little while later it started acting like the transmission was dragging or something. I took it in to Pep Boys on Tropicana and I was told that there was motor oil in the brake line. The last mechanic to fill fluids was AutoNation Honda. The service manager was terribly rude to me and never even heard my mechanic's explanation of it. The cost to repair the damage is over $2000 but it could be so much worse causing injury or death. They put my family at risk selling a car in this condition. After contacting them and explaining the situation in detail, they are refuse to be responsible for the damage. Worst experience ever buying a car from a dealership!!!

Original review: May 15, 2018

We purchased a vehicle from Audi of Newport Beach, an AutoNation member this past January 2018. The vehicle is a 2007 BMW X3. It had many issues, some actually safety issues like breaks and main belt tensioner about to fall off that should have never been let out but in this world, I guess this is what a consumer is up against all the time. The vehicle developed an electrical problem since the first week we had it. It would randomly discharge the battery in about 10 hours. The problem continued to get worse and finally, we took the car to a trusted, local auto electrical repair shop. After days of troubleshooting, they found the problem which also includes a defective battery.

After calling the sales dealer since the battery was replaced by them prior to the sale, the service adviser informed us the only way the company would accept a battery exchange is if they first get to do a service on the vehicle. I informed them the service has been done and the only remaining item is battery replacement and that we live 2 hours away. I asked if either they stand behind the products they use, review the repair shop report and check the battery to determine there is no foul play but they said no.

Any auto parts house or battery house honors the battery warranty upon verification of no wrongdoing. This is a scam. We live 2 hours away from this dealer and there is no practical way for us to have them perform service when we are that far. Please know that the AutoNation policy is to hold the consumer hostage, probably use inferior products in repairs and deny warranty coverage unless they perform the service work. For that matter, their vehicle warranty was 2 days or 200 miles. Hell we went through most of that just driving home for 2 hours.

Original review: May 10, 2018

I recently purchased a Mazda CX -5 from AutoNation Panama City Fl, The Sales Gentleman I dealt with was Coy **, Excellent Customer Service! Very professional! Outgoing, very friendly, and very patient with me upon looking for a new vehicle. Went above and beyond to search for exactly what I was looking for and found it, Very grateful for that. I will most definitely refer him to all friends/ family!

Original review: April 29, 2018

BLUF: The service technicians at #Autonation #Toyota did not secure a hose to the transmission after I paid $350 for a flush resulting in a CEL, damaged sensor, a rental, and a poor customer experience. I’m disappointed with the service department’s technicians. I’ll say that first of all, the employee that was helping us, Taryn, was courteous and accommodated my girlfriend and I as much as she could. Saturday morning we dropped off her RAV4 for a transmission flush that we were supposed to have picked up later that day. We paid $350 for this service. My dissatisfaction began as we were driving home. The CEL came on in her vehicle about 1.5 miles from the dealership. We took the vehicle back to have it looked at and waited in the lobby/customer area.

After a while we were given the news that the CEL came on because a hose wasn’t secured, which resulted in transmission fluid being sprayed all over the engine bay. This obviously caused quite a mess and they apologized and said they would clean it out and send us on our way. Well, more time went by and they approached us again stating that the leaked fluid is beginning to smoke on the hot parts of the motor which is causing other problems with the vehicle's sensors and to be safe they were going to replace it for us at no charge.

Due to it being Saturday afternoon, they weren’t going to be able to get a part or work on it because they’re closing soon and not opened on Sunday. What makes matters worse is that my girlfriend lives in San Antonio and she now has to come back down to get her vehicle back whenever it's repaired! As you can imagine, we’re both upset about this and all we can do is get a rental and deal with it. What is even more upsetting is that the rental we were given was a Corolla which, in my opinion, isn’t comparable to the RAV4 we were supposed to have been driving home that day.

I would not recommend service here because of this issue and the fact that no other efforts were made to make this better. I paid $350 for this dealership to damage my girlfriend's vehicle, keep it, give her a lesser-valued rental, and send us away displeased. I will be contacting the service manager about this. I don’t feel the dealership extended themselves at all to rectify this, but did the bare minimum to get us off the lot.

Original review: April 21, 2018

Auto Nation in Katy, Tx...go anywhere else but here. They hook you with a promise of a great deal. I recently found on my contract they overcharged me by $680.00 over the price agreed to the vehicle. It was on a hidden line that you never would look at, hidden in by the interest total including the price of the car. Very tricky.

I bought my 2016 Ford Explorer Limited in November 2016 and I have taken it back 6 times! Every time I go back they tell me I am crazy and that when something happens I must bring it straight to the dealership when it is happening. The warnings usually clear off by the time I get to the dealership. I also have paint bubbling or my hood is rusting which is affecting the paint. I have made several appointments and they tell me they have to investigate to see if they are even responsible. I purchased extra coverage for $4,500 and they won't even let me use it. Side Note: This SUV is my second (side) vehicle. I only use it on the weekends and it is covered every day during the week. This place is a joke. Run, go to any other Ford dealership but this one. If you purchase a car from here you deserve the trouble you will run into.

Original review: April 11, 2018

Good morning everyone by AutoNation. My son's life was changed yesterday, thanks to you Skip, Charles and Mike. This was our 4th or 5th car we purchased with my wife at your place! Always friendly welcome at the door, right away taken care of us. And I’m not talking from the popcorn or coffee. That you can get everywhere. What you don’t get everywhere is…the smile, the knowledge, the attitude…and I can go on and on why WE customers feel like HOME in your AutoNation!!! This people make the difference in every business in the world! I’m this year 40!!! Years in customer service! Thank you SKIP, CHARLES, and ‘BIG’ MIKE.

Original review: April 8, 2018

I was interested in a truck and saw that, through their website, I could reserve it for 72 hours. It was late on a Wednesday, and the only time that my wife and I could both view the vehicle was early Friday. Within 10 minutes of me providing my information, Cristian ** called to confirm I had requested the hold on the truck. I informed him that I had, and was very interested in the vehicle. I then asked various questions on its history. Mr ** then said he had limited access to the information on the car, since it was new on the lot, and the fact that I had placed a hold on the vehicle. I told him that I wasn't too concerned, as long as he had any additional information available when I came on Friday. He then proceeded to send me pics, confirmation emails, and additional information on the vehicle that very day.

However, early Thursday, I received a voicemail informing me that the car had been suddenly sold that morning, and that perhaps, I should have offered them money for the hold, sight unseen. What then is the purpose of your company's "free" offer online to hold vehicles for 72 hrs. I've done similar holds in other dealerships. Do you just offer the hold online to gather my personal information, all the while selling the vehicle with no concern. I have bought 2 vehicles from AutoNation dealerships in the past. On principle, I will never purchase a vehicle from them again. That Friday, I purchased a similar vehicle, from one of their competitors, while Mr. ** is still laughably sending emails about other trucks for sale. Thanks, but no thanks.

Original review: March 25, 2018

I own a Honda accord 2015 model purchased from AutoNation East Sahara, Las Vegas NV. I am facing an issue from the first day I purchased the car which has not been resolved till today. The passenger door makes a rattling noise which is so annoying I can't explain. I have complained about this since the first service at AutoNation but it hasn't been fixed. I have tried all level of escalation and complain with them but no luck. I spoke with service manager and the showroom manager as well but they didn't do nothing about it. If you look at my service record of past 3 years, you will see I have complained about the rattling noise in almost all the services. I shouldn't have purchased Honda from this place, this is the worst experience of my life. The noise is so irritating, I have to put music on every time just to keep my mind off it. Hope Honda can understand my frustration and help me with a resolution.

Original review: March 23, 2018

I bought a white Toyota Camry 2014.5 model in September of 2014. In February or March 2018 I complained to the dealer where I bought the car, AutoNation of Cerritos (CA) about the paint. The body shop looked at it, calling the process delaminating, and ultimately offered to repair it out of warranty for $1907, of which they would pay half and I would pay half because I have been a good customer. They said the paint is warrantied for only 36,000 miles, and my car had at that time more than 58,000 mile on it. This is the second Camry I have owned on which the paint failed. The first was a 2006 Camry I bought in 2009. It's desert sand colored paint failed in 2013, developing long lines that looked like scratches.

AutoNation Company Information