Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

289 AutoNation Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Worst Experience Ever!!! AVOID AT ALL COSTS! Sales Manager (Paul) is a lowlife jerk, typical screw you over salesman. This dealership is a complete joke. Bought a brand new 2018 Enclave with 24 miles on it. Our sales person was great however the Sales Manager (Paul) is your typical seedy, low life salesman. A complete jerk!! After we bought the car we noticed a vibration coming from the wheels. We took the vehicle back and they took almost three weeks to fix the issue. The problem was that every tire had a severe dead spot because the dealership never moved the vehicle. It sat on the lot in the same spot for months on end resulting in flat spots on each tire. Their fault not mine.

Anyways I learned that the reason it took so long is because the dealership wanted enough time to pass so they could have it fixed under warranty so that they didn't have to flip the bill for their own error. Once again Seedy!! Instead they make me wait without any communication of what was really going on. After an extensive wait and not hearing anything on the status of the repair my wife and I went to the dealership. We spoke with Sales Manager Paul and he was nothing but rude. Laughed about the issue and blamed the service department. He verbally insulted my wife directly in front of other customers. What's really funny about the whole ordeal is that when I complained to the Service Department about Paul, his unprofessionalism and lack of any care or compassion the Service Manager stated he had no idea how Paul ever became a Sales Manager. Paul has obviously been an issue before!

What does that tell you about the dealership, their leadership and their employees. Worst car buying experience ever. No wonder why they have very few people in their showroom compared to packed showroom right across the street at CarMax. I'm the CEO of a National Company and will be holding our annual convention in Vegas two weeks from now. Will be using this experience as an example to my 274 employees how one bad experience can destroy a business reputation. Sales manager Paul will be used as an example of how to NOT treat the people that are in essence signing your paycheck! One bad experience and now 274 people will hear my story and all about how AutoNation really feels about their customers. It's great topic material for me...

It's clear they just want your money and will tell you what you want to hear to get that dollar out of you. There are others that were involved in this experience that I didn't mention however the entire experience was horrible. The only positive experience came from the low man on the Totem Pole, our sales person!! We had an issue with the Sales Manager, Service Department and indifference from the finance department. Will never be back and will never spend another dollar with AutoNation or any of their affiliates for the rest of my life. This dealership is unprofessional, talks down to the customer and just cares about one thing. Taking your money and Moving cars! Very Sad! Would really like to speak to an Executive Level person at AutoNation Corp but highly doubt that will happen.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Told to be here at 7:30 am, and I was here early... Told it would take an hour and a half, here it is 11:05 and I'm still sitting here for just an oil change... Disgusting service and I will definitely find somewhere else to go!!! This one is on Victory Dr.

Get expert buying tips about Car Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

Bought a car from AutoNation Hayward Toyota on July 22nd. A month later I got a letter in the mail telling me that I need to bring it to them for a VIN verification. I take a Friday off work and go to the dmv to get this done thinking I will get a plate in a couple weeks. Two months later I got a letter in the mail telling me that I need to get a smog test. At this point it has been 4 months and 1 week since I purchased the vehicle and still don't have a license plate.

Was charged for all the paperwork emission test and all and come to find out the reason I'm going through all of this is because the car has a Florida title and they didn't switch it over to California before they sold it to me. They didn't disclose the fact that it didn't have a California title to me either. It would seem to me like this would be illegal. What makes it all worse is the fact they have made no attempt to right the situation. I can't even get a return phone call from anyone. It will probably be another 2 months before I get a plate so I can legally drive the car. I would recommend nobody else ever buy from them.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I have taken in my 2011 Dodge Journey to be serviced I don't know how many times. I've had a heating issue that has not been fixed. Dropped $300 on a part that was to fix it but hours later it's not FIXED. Oh and the check engine light magically appears. Never had issues before. I had to wait a week before bringing it back - Bring it in and the service advisor and his team got it to work magically without any reason. They couldn't explain why... which is weird because I was driving it around for 7 days with cold air. Questionable. What did I drop my money on and why does it start working all of a sudden? They say my check engine light tells them it's transmission related and that they could just clear it. I tell them as long as the heat is working again to keep the car overnight maybe it will kick back to not working because I find it crazy that it just started working for them no problem.

I pick it up the next day only for them to tell me my car isn't safe to drive because now the gears are slipping, the car is whining, and I need transmission work that is going to cost $2k! WTH? I turned it down and didn't trust the work anymore. My car was NOT driving the same when I left that place. How did a heating issue turn into a transmission issue? Now I'm left with messed up car when all I wanted fixed was the heating. NEVER AGAIN GOING THROUGH AUTONATION.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

The power steering went out on my 2012 Fusion. I was told that it was a recall issue and fixed at no cost. Five weeks later, the steering went out again. This time I was told it was steering rods and charged $1300. TWO weeks later it went out for the THIRD time. It was finally fixed (according to them) correctly. I do not believe that 3 different things happened to my steering in 7 weeks. I do not believe that there was anything wrong with the steering rods! I also believe that had I been a male, this would not have happened. Also, last November I took my vehicle in for a tire repair. I was told at that time that my air conditioner wasn't working. (Why would you check the air in Minnesota in November?) Well I just went thru the entire summer with my air working just fine. Do Not Trust AutoNation in White Bear Lake, MN.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Autonation?

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I just bought a Toyota 4runner at AutoNation Fort Myers. I complained about the car is not clean, does not look brand new, but they said that is the only gray one they have, the black one will be $1000 more, but they promise me they will clean up and make it look great. After I signed the agreement, I noticed I was charged $191 for vehicle care, Jesus Christ, I was buying a new car. And also they charged $368 for the weather tech waterproof mat, considering the interest, that 3 pieces of plastic will cost more than $500, absolutely a ripoff. All the finance people there are professional liars and cheaters.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

Brought my car in to be serviced, it's a Shelby GT500. It went in for a small leak of oil out of a crankshaft seal and an ac problem and to correct the recall for airbags, long story short. They took it on a 10 mile joyride in which independent witnesses saw them pushing the car. When I got it back clutch was destroyed. They claim it was bad but never put any notes on the paperwork prior to servicing it. I rarely drive this car except to car shows, they broke it and do not care.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Don't even know where to start this review. They took over a week to change a fuel pump and charged about double what they should have. I was a little upset with this but not mad enough to ever write a review. Then I discovered both the sunroof and my turn signals/hazards were no longer working. Taking it back I was told nothing they could have done could have cause this to happen.

At this point it was clearly not worth arguing about despite multiple things they could have done including leaving trash and open water bottles under the hood and the fuse cover off of my vehicle which I discovered trying to make sure it wasn't just a blown fuse. I figured this was the case since the first thing that should have been done before disconnecting the fuel pump is to disconnect the battery. However according to them this was never done which I find highly questionable. SO in short way overpriced. Took over a week to do a 2 hour job and broke more things than they fixed.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

We just bought a Jeep Wrangler which was advertised as $26,725.00. Although the buying process was relatively Quick I left my wife to pay for the vehicle as my truck was being serviced elsewhere. The next day I was looking at the paperwork and they had charged her a $799.00 Service fee. That is total BS and they deserve no more respect than an internet scammer. Had they advertised the vehicle for $27,524.00 we would not have bought it. My wife and I change our vehicles every year and they scammed us. We will never purchase from AutoNation again.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

Bought 640i online, preowned. Was told by John ** car was in “pristine” condition. Was not. Chrome wheels were pitted and trim had no shine. Later talked to Chris ** about the problem and neither will return our multiple calls.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I brought a vehicle in for ongoing warranty/recall work. We were clear on multiple occasions that we didn't want any additional services completed. We were told that the warranty issues were "fine" but that they had found nearly $2,000 of other work they had diagnosed. We told them to put vehicle back together, to do nothing, and that we would have the vehicle inspected by our mechanic. We went to pick up the vehicle and were met by $329 of "diagnostic" fees even though they completed no work and repaired nothing! At this point, my wife was late for work and my child was late for school and my vehicle was being held hostage.

After complaining, a service Manager lied to my face and told me that I had agreed to this when I dropped the vehicle off... That never happened. After complaining loudly, the price was reduced to $256 as the only way to get my vehicle back. I next attempted to contact the General Manager on multiple occasions and no one would ever return my call. The next contact showed the true lack of integrity of this company. After not hearing from the GM for over a week, I was contacted by a sales rep telling me that according to the General Manager, they would take care of my "service issue," if and only if, I purchased a new vehicle from them. It is the service department that ripped me off. Why would I buy a 2nd car from this company if they wouldn't stand behind the 1st car I purchased from them? Stay away!!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I was initially pleased with the online internet service I received prior to purchasing my 2018 Toyota Highlander. I have purchased three Highlanders from this same dealership in previous years and for the most part the service has been great. However this in-dealership purchase experience on 9/6/2018 was less than satisfactory.

Sydney my salesperson was a nice young lady, however she was not consistent in the information. Prior to completing the paperwork we discussed color options for the vehicle and if necessary she would drive to another location to get the color that I wanted, she assured me that I would not be limited. Once I completed the credit application, we did a test drive and while driving we discussed the pressure off by a car and that this was my first time working with a woman. She explained that she didn't work on commission so I didn't need to be concerned with that (OK that was transparent - understood) but, I do not think that would have been my response.

The real issue came in when we returned, she took my application to the credit dept. then returned and said because of the time of year we only have three colors: White, silver and grey. While that was annoying, I didn't comment. She showed me the colors and I selected silver and then decided to go with gray. I inquired about the cost of tinting the front windows on the vehicle and she said she didn't know but I could set that up when the car was delivered.

COULD NOT FOLLOW THROUGH ON COMMITMENT - We returned to her desk area and she went to "Check" on the credit application - she returned and said "Good news, we will be able to keep your payment the same." She mentioned the finance dept want to haggle and she told them I didn't have time for that. After I said OK, she went back to them and got the paperwork outlining the sale.

She told me "Unfortunately, we do not have your car on the lot. It has to be brought in from the port and will not be here for a week." Again frustrated I asked her what if I opted to go with another color, she said the same situation would apply. Again, frustrated I said fine. She told me I would complete the paperwork when I returned to pick up the vehicle and so I left.

About 5 days later she texted me and said I could come get my car as it was being detailed. When I arrived, she placed me and my mother at a desk and said someone with finance would be with me shortly. After waiting 20 minutes she came back and said 10 more minutes, 15 minutes passed - no finance associate. She returned and noticed my frustration and said another 10 minutes and I didn't respond. A salesman came by and said 10 more minutes we are setting up your features in the car. So I told him, my car is sitting outside, no one is setting up the features, I have been waiting nearly an hour for the finance dept. He looked at me and said 10 minutes and walked off. After about 5 minutes he came back and walked me to the finance area.

The finance rep, told me my file was not his but he was doing a favor. He walked me through the paperwork "Telling me the name of the document I was signing." NEVER stopping to tell me my options, warranties, never giving me my detail kit like I received with my other 2 purchases and then shuffling me out of his office. While time was of the essence, decreasing the level of customer service was not a good trade out. After leaving the dealership I received a survey and shared my thoughts about the entire experience. A few days later I received a letter from Ms. ** that said if I had any issues to call - so I did.

POOR FOLLOW UP - Ms. ** explained she received my survey and she was going over it with her General Manager. She basically repeated the same thing over and over - that she had talked with Sydney and they would take care of the issue. Not once was an apology extended a means of offer a service or option for the inconvenience. She circled back around to the tint question and said, "Did anyone ever contact you about the cost for the tint." I told her no - she said, "OK. Well I will check on that and email you." I gave her my email address and guess what? I never received her email.

PAST DUE email. I received a payment pass due email from TOYOTA FINANCE - saying that my payment for my other Highlander was past due. When I called and inquired about speaking with someone, the customer service specialist said she would transfer my call - I was on hold for 12 minutes (the call was picked up 7 times and placed on hold again). I hung up and called back and was placed in a general voicemail with NO NAME. I called back and asked for the general manager (same issue). Left a message and waiting on a call. While this is not my standard - Jeopardizing my credit and being pushed assigned as if my feedback doesn't matter spiked this concern.

I am not sure if the dealership is under new management since 2015 or what has happened but there are some serious concerned that need to start from the top. While committed to return for maintenance, I will not return to purchase another car. Not only was my time wasted at the dealership, I am now spending time typing numerous reviews and well as filing a BBB claim.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Hesitantly took my 2011 Silverado in on Wed Sept 12 2018 based on my previous experiences. Requested battery check. Fri Sept 14 2018. Truck is still in shop. They began an analysis I didn’t approve and inform me I need a new “crank” draining my battery. $600 bill. Phone calls here not returned and totally ignored as I informed customer relations guy there. Don’t take your car here.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

On September 1st, @ 6:30 pm, we printed from the actual AutoNation website, NOT a 3rd party or Ad, 3 trucks that shows the price, packages, and the savings. So the following morning we drove 2 hours to the dealership. Before we turned our vehicle off, we again went on their website, to verify they still had the truck, and the cost. We took a test drive, returned, and told the salesman we wanted to buy the truck. Miraculously the price jumped up almost 5k!! We realized their scam, and left. We stopped for snacks and gas on the way home, and there was a family we recognized from the dealership, and the car they wanted, also went up around $3,500. The corporate office blames TrueCar for not updating the AutoNation website. What?? Big, Big Scam.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

Went to purchase truck based on price given, when it came to financing was charged $1250 for running boards that were on vehicle. Text salesmen before driving there about any extra charges. He said none.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

Please don't service your vehicle at AutoNation here in Laurel, Maryland. Management are the worse, had my truck for 3 weeks and it was return with no gas and scratches all over my new vehicle. Management claim they don't know how that happened. It was with them for the last 3 weeks.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

I bought a 2015 VW Passat from AutoNation USA in Corpus Christi, TX on 8/18/18 and noticed there were dried hard water spots all over it. I returned on 8/25/18 to get an auto detail performed, which consisted of buffing the paint in order to remove the spots. When I arrived to pick up the vehicle, I observed that the entire car was covered in deep scratches and the Black paint had obviously been burned as it emitted an array of different colors (Red, Yellow, Green). The chrome front grill and VW decal had also been scratched due to the complete incompetence of the person(s) performing the service. The hard water spots were also still present.

AutoNation USA has denied any of my allegations and attempted to convince me that the scratches were already there and under the clear coat finish of this three year old vehicle. I would never have purchased and financed a three year old $20,000 vehicle if it had such awful scratches and dulled paint on it. I would have just kept shopping around.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

Bought a car from AutoNation Acura Gulf Freeway because of the Carfax and have had nothing but problems. The manager Jeffrey ** has done nothing but drag this out. He says he will talk to the GM, Ronald **, and never calls back. This is the worst customer service ever and will never trust Carfax again.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I own a small business, my company car gave up. So I needed a delivery car. I found one for about $3500. I wanted to put $1500 down. When asked I said my credit score was about 680. That's when I was informed my score needs to be 800 or above to get financed. What a joke.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I recently received a mail offer from AutoNation Honda Miami Lakes for service, advertising some complimentary items. Once there, I found that the service representatives (2) didn't know about the offer, and they had to call their manager (evidently, there's no communication or training about the dealer's policies). The text in the offer led me to understand that I was going to have new windshield wipers, amongst other items. When clarifying that it was only liquids top off, it was clear that the offer had grammar errors and led to misleading information.

Upon my remarks on the small size of the font used at the beginning of the coupon (quite difficult to read) and the grammar mistakes, the manager just insisted on the correctness of the offer, arguing that what I was expecting was "wiper blades", which for me is an unnecessary technicality because they were offering just "windshield wiper", and the term "fluid" is incorrectly used, not encompassing all the other items included. At the end he offered to give me the "blades", but I replied that, rather than free stuff, I was looking for a honest service, and requested my car back. Intentional misleading information kills client's fidelity towards the brand and their service.

Original review: July 31, 2018

Mr. ** has to be the most amazing individual I have ever met in the car business. I cannot elaborate on my experience that brought me to meet him but the man is honest, sincere, trustworthy. He is amazing character and I would bet my life on him. I would recommend to anyone that needs assistance to seek him out and he will do the right thing. Thank you Mr. ** you’re awesome.

Original review: July 25, 2018

Very dissatisfied with my recent and will be last experience with AutoNation 2 months ago. We test drove vehicle but sure needed more time to inspect a car with all the flaws we are coming across. 1st problem was that they sent our loan to a bank other than ours even after we requested and salesperson wrote down the bank we wanted to go with... 2nd they promised to repair/replace damaged trim from passengers side and headlights (not done yet). Now with all the rain we've been getting I have leaks inside my car???? WTH.

I just took it in because remotes were not working and TPMS light came on, well they had to replace a receiver/transmitter that was not covered by my extended warranty (why would it be right)? Of course after driving the vehicle off of their lot the car is 100% our responsibility, so why offer extended warranties for $1000s that don't cover anything? All this and I've only had the vehicle for 2 months, I don't even want to know what else might go wrong with it. 2013 Yukon with 40k miles on it, too good to be true? It was. :(

Original review: July 25, 2018

Bought a car they claimed was in perfect, like new condition. Car had engine trouble and ac trouble within days, had to contact BBB to get them to repair. After repair same issues occurred costing me around 1000 to fix. Horrible service.

Original review: July 22, 2018

2018 Chevy Malibu front grill broken. They had to replace it. Also was in shop fives days. They also forgot to bolts and Shimmies back into the headlights while the fives. Also that being said Service manager said one person start and another person put it back together that didn’t know what he was doing. They had it scratched the top car of the in the hood while working on it and then this all in time I bought the car then buff out repainted.

I was pissed. Then try tell me they couldn’t do it. I told I never take my car there again. Remind I bought it 3:30 am in morning. This not way I do business. 5,000 when we got it. 6,211 drive all over than 6800 on when got back place in Denver. Took it fix it correctly and still bubble. I will be taking back in on Tuesday. I asking what they can since paint chip some places and bubbles still. I don’t under 50,000.00 for this car. I’m sorry stingray. I would have better service. I had to general Manager involved and at this point Attorney as well. We signed paperwork for a brand new car. No accident was report on Carfax. Now Attorney get involved because it’s a legal to document it. I was disappointed how the whole sale went down. Our 1,250 but I need a car. I should of waiting. Think about it. Walk away.

Original review: June 29, 2018

Bought a 2011 Ford F350 from Brooksville AutoNation. Be very careful. I was a sucker and was misled several times during and after the purchase. Was told the truck was a one owner, had at least two owners. CarFax showed no accidents. It was traded in with accident damage. AutoNation had it repaired but did not disclose it. The previous owner did! The tailgate was replaced with the wrong gate, they won't replace it with the right one. Was told I would get a check from them for other issues in 72 hours, it's been 10 days and no check. Called Scott, Sales mgr, and he said it would be cut today, I had called about it 4 times! They are a boiler room operation I would never buy another vehicle from them. I should have believed the 2 star rating for AutoNation. Obviously Mike Jackson, CEO is running a subpar operation!!!

Original review: June 26, 2018

I purchased a car from them and the very first claim I made on the policy I was told "That is not covered under the policy!!!" Funny thing, the person in Finance who sold me the policy told me that all repairs would be covered for the life of the policy. I will NEVER buy another car from these people, they are extremely dishonest!!!

Original review: June 26, 2018

I had taken my car to AutoNation in Winter Park. I took my car in for Maintenance, Oil Change, etc and they had a Mishap with my Car and it got Damaged,

Christian was my Service Tech. He was very helpful in the situation. He introduced me to Sal and Stewart the Managers. They apologized and assured me that they would do whatever it took to make it Right. And they DID. They Gave me VIP Treatment. I was WOWED with the level of service I received from them Both. (Offered me full trade in Value to put toward a New Car. This was a Wow.).

I'm not sure I can put in words Just how great they both were. Not only did they Fix the damage but when I received my car back It looked like a New Car inside and out. This is really where service counts when something happens and They care enough to put it Right. I work in the service field myself and am thoroughly Pleased and WOWED by the way I was Treated by Sal, Stewart and Christian. I will go no other place to have work done to my car and have already told so many people on how Toyota PUT IT RIGHT. Thanks so Very Much Rita **.

Original review: June 19, 2018

Fremont AutoNation: Wrong diagnostic which cost to me 4 times - Reason for visit: AC fan was always on when the ignition key was on. AutoNation Issue: 1- Wrong diagnostic which costed to me more. 2- more than 2 times for fixing the issue. AutoNation Honda Fremont did recently did a diagnostic for my car for "AC fan was always on when the ignition key was on" issue. After diagnostic, they suggested me a replacement of "Dashboard Fuse Box" and it will cost around more than $1800 (fuse box $600 '38200-SNA-A32'+ $ 1200 labor).

Then I have asked other Honda Dealers (Stevens Creek and San Leandro) because I felt it is too costly. Honda Dealers (Stevens Creek and San Leandro) told me total cost will be around $700 ($480 for fuse box +$ 228 labor cost) only. Due to huge price difference, I have shown my car Honda-Stevens-Creek, they believed the diagnostic of Honda-AutoNation and replaced the fuse box but it did not solve the issue so Honda-Stevens-Creek is again doing the car's diagnostic. I am going to share the same thing to Honda so they can take adequate action. Honda Civic 2006 LX Owner.

Original review: June 16, 2018

Customer service will make or break a business and how you treat your customers. The finance department Jason and Renne have the worst service I've seen in such a long time. I waited 4 weeks to receive the documents for the used car I, purchased because they were going through a paper based to a digital format. Renne, promised me over and over she will send me the documents 3 emails, 2 phone calls and nothing. I contacted my sales person and she was on top of it.

Jason, called me. Promised he would send me the documents in 2 or 3 days and nothing. I called Jason, told him to send me the documents or I was going to call AutoNation corporate office and cancel my extended warranty and he called me back the same day. He was very upset because my voicemail hurt his feelings. He said the documents were sent two days before... All and nothing but laying through his teeth. A simple request for a few documents and will never buy other car from Audi of Peoria in Arizona or any AutoNation dealer.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I had been researching Volvo XC60, XC90 and Cross Countries. I had reserved a car through AutoNation's website and scheduled an appointment at the Volvo Stevens Creek location. I had an expectation of what the experience would be like to purchase a luxury car. Unfortunately, AutoNation Volvo Stevens Creek did not deliver. The car we had reserved was filthy both inside and out. The person we had made the appointment with was “out to dinner”. There were no additional service/sales staff to assist us with our purchase. We waited for fifteen minutes outside then decided to walk away. We walked down the street and purchased a Honda Pilot instead. As I stated, we were buying a car, we were not just browsing. I emailed the manager I had been working with but never received a callback. I contacted Volvo USA directly today and when I am ready to purchase a Volvo I will be going directly through them.

AutoNation Company Information