1.60/5

Looking for auto and truck accessories?

298 Advance Auto Parts Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

After leaving O'Reilly Auto and not getting the help I needed I went to Advance Auto in Westminster Co 80021. In 5 minutes Frank ** helped me and now I know what part I need to buy. It really made my day and I want to make sure that he is recognized for the good customer service he gave me. After spending lots of money at O'Reilly I now will be paying my parts from you guys because of Frank and also the lady that first helped me. She also took the time to figure out what I might need. I just didn't get her name. Please make sure Frank's boss gets this message.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

Store 09173 understaffed. 6 checkout stations, 10 people in line, one person at checkout for a good 15 minutes. As it turned out, a second employee was installing a battery outside, finally came in & started yelling at customers to “Next in line come down here”. Why so understaffed at a high volume store? Advance really needs to do better.

Get expert buying tips about Auto and Truck Accessories delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Advance Auto Parts in Chattanooga TN on Hwy 58 has the worst customer service I think I've ever experienced. My husband and I went in to replace an alternator, on 9/24/2018, for the 3rd time within one year. The last time we went to have it replaced, we were informed that we were still under warranty. However the next day, when he went to return the faulty part they couldn't find him in the system. We had to call customer service to get a refund, because the in store rep insisted he couldn't find the warranty and we had to pay for a new one.

Fast forward to 9/24/2018 and we have to replace it again because the pulley broke. We spoke with the manager Teresa and explained what was going on and asked would we be able to replace it under warranty she looked at us with a blank stare and nodded yes. I asked for something tangible because of what happened last time and she became combative dismissive and just plain rude. She wouldn't let me complete a statement! I was shocked and so was my husband. We couldn't understand why she was being so rude. I will never return not only because of the bad parts they're selling but the POOR customer service. If I could give them zero stars I would. P.S. Fire Teresa asap!!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

This Is the store in Shenandoah, Pennsylvania Advance Auto Parts Store, 5461. Every time I call there they never pick up the phone. Could be day or night. And if you're on hold for too long it automatically hangs up.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I brought 4 deep cycle marine batteries into advance auto parts, 2 that I purchased from advanced 30 days ago and 2 that were older not purchased from Advance (all hooked up to my boat and charge and discharge at the same rate). 30 days ago I wanted to replace all four and Advance check the batteries and said only 2 need replacing which I mistakenly did.

Today (30 days after purchase of two) Advance checked the batteries. One was completely discharged, and the others were at different levels of charge but apparently still good. I told Bob the manager I wanted to replace all, exchange the two I purchased 30 days ago because one was completely discharged the other was fine and the other two were at different levels of charge. In other words, all of them were at different levels of charge.

If all the batteries are hooked up to the same charger they should all be at the same level. One month ago when I wanted to replace all of them I should not have been advise to only replace the two that their diagnostic equipment said were good, in fact, all deep cycle batteries that are run together should always be replaced together.

Bob the store manager would not exchange the two batteries I bought just one month ago and told me I should call Advance Auto Parts' customer service line, he gave me a phone number. I called them from the store. Apparently Bob could've called also (entering store code) if he understood customer service. Instead I was passed from different departments to different departments and then to customer service that was overwhelmed and hung up on me after being on hold for a minute or two. After that, Bob the store manager said he cannot make the exchange and to call the store manager during the daytime. The customer service from Bob, the evening store manager and from Advance Auto Parts was simply repulsive. From a lifelong Advance Auto Parts customer but not anymore!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Advance Auto Parts?

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

Today I purchased headlights and was provided the product by the store employee based on the make and model information I had provided. When I got home to install the lights I could see that they were not the right type needed. When I returned to the store two hours later I was told that I was unable to exchange the lights for the correct ones needed even though they were the ones provided by their employees because I had opened the package. Instead I was offered 20% off of the purchase of the correct headlights! I asked to speak to a manager and was told he would be in by Tuesday of next week. I asked for a number to contact to complain and was told he could only give me the store number which I already had. This is insane and there is something wrong when a product is provided incorrectly by an employee and then you can’t even get the correct item unless you pay for that replacement.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Purchased a radiator that was defective. Took it back same day for refund. They refused to refund my money. Gave me another one but I couldn't use it because it cost too much for mechanic to do the same job again. Car was junked same day. They wouldnt even give me store credit so I have a $118.00 radiator still in the box. I feel like Advance Auto Parts store# 9565 took my money. Called corporate office and they said it was up to the manager and he refused. I'm on SSI and dont have money to give away to them. Talk about guaranteed for life.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

First of all if you want to buy don't buy from their online, I wondered why they offered 25% off and pickup in the store, now I think I know why, I bought an alternator believing in the lifetime warranty, I'm a mobile mechanic, I convinced my customer that it's got lifetime warranty and 25% off at advanced auto parts, we bought around July 19th and on August 21st the customer called and told me his battery light came, when I jump started I heard the alternator whining and not charging the battery, I'm like we'll it's got lifetime warranty removed it and to went to the store.

The store pulled out the part information and said "All we can do is return this for you, then you'll have to order another one again," I'm like, "But I don't have the money. You guys have it and it's going to get returned into the card which take 5-7 days." They said that's the only thing they can do, I called the online department same. I can't afford installing same part every month on the same car and dealing with their complicated return policy. I've bought alternators from O'Reilly, Napa, AutoZone, no complaint so I guess they got my business.

Original review: July 17, 2018

I order a right side mirror for my 2013 Nissan Pathfinder about 3 months ago and when I received it the mirror was shattered into multiple pieces. I reached out to customer care and I was transferred so many times it wasn’t funny. I had to explain my situation to everyone I’ve been transferred to and still couldn’t get the help I needed. A day or two later I tried again and spoke with a Mercedes **. I was promised a reship and here we are in July for something I had purchased in April. We are military and we’re in the process of moving and I really needed it to travel and I was, still us and will always be disappointed. They basically stole my money without any good reason. A place I will never shop from again and if I can encourage everyone else to stay away it’s only for your own good.

Original review: July 14, 2018

Had the Advance Auto in Columbia test my battery and alternator... Battery machine said it had a bad cell. Purchased a new battery and the same problems are happening. Advance won't return the battery! Bad customer service. Always doubt your test results from them.

Advance Auto Parts expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1932, Advance Auto Parts is North America’s largest aftermarket automotive parts and accessories provider. It has over 5,200 retail locations throughout the United States, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Canada. It also offers an online store featuring a large selection of products including air, exhaust, navigation, engine parts, drivetrain, tools, fluids and much more.

• Reliable selection: Advance Auto Parts specializes in all the parts and accessories you need to maintain your vehicle’s appearance and performance. It carries all the basics for general vehicle owners at reasonable prices.

• Convenient website: Advance Auto Parts allows users to customize their online shopping experience by creating an account and saving up to nine vehicles to the account. That means you can store the make, model and year of all your vehicles and receive product recommendations that will work for you.

• In-store services: Advance Auto Parts offers customers free oil and battery recycling, electrical testing, windshield wiper installation with purchase and loaner tools. These services can be especially helpful for those who might need a bit of guidance with vehicle care.

• Convenient retail locations: With over 5,200 retail locations, Advance Auto Parts likely has a store near you. You can use the online store location finder to find a convenient location, find out whether your product is available in store, then order and pay online.

• Earn rewards: Advance Auto Parts’ rewards programs can help save you money on your auto purchases. You can refer a friend and receive a $10 coupon after their first order (your friend will receive $30). You can also join the Speed Perks program to earn points for your purchases, which can be redeemed for dollars off future purchases.

• Best for: those who want reliable basic parts and accessories and assistance with selection or installation.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs