3.72/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 23, 2017

255 Advance Auto Parts Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

I purchased a autocraft silver battery January 2015 which should still be under warranty given that they give 2 years for that battery, the battery is defected and has died on me. When I walked into an advance auto part store I was told they couldnt find me in the system so I couldnt switch the battery out. I would have to buy a new one!

Given that it's over 130.00 for this battery and it is still under warranty I find it ridiculous that such a big company has no way to look you up in the system other than by a phone number which at the time I did not have one to give!! I gave them my name, id, and proof of vehicle so that they can see it was me and I just needed to switch the battery.

The battery also has a sticker on it that says 12/2015 which is date of purchase or manufacturing which proves it is under warranty!! And they said they cant do anything with that. I find this unacceptable!! Advance Auto Parts is full of thieves trying to get customers to purchase new batteries by making it impossible to locate you in the system.

It's a fraud, they told me I had to go to the exact store I bought it in to see if they could help me. How is that possible? Or acceptable? What if someone moves? Or relocates? Then your warranty is worthless? It's a fraud. I will never buy anything from this store again, the gentleman at the location was rude!! I called corporate and they told me they did indeed find me in the system for that store! And that my battery was in fact still under warranty! The store tried to rip me off by getting me to purchase another battery and making me believe I was not in the system. Crooks!

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

I bought an Autocraft battery for my car at Advance Auto Parts store 8105 in Laredo, Texas. The sales associates indicated that the battery had a three year free replacement. Right from the start the battery wouldn't hold charge and when I took it to the store I was asked to leave it to be charged, which I did. I have to do this three times already and the manager tells me that his machine has to give him a code or the battery has to be bloated for him to honor the free replacement. A new battery that every time I need to use it, is dead. He said that they can't explain the procedure to the customer when they buy the battery. I have read the policy and nowhere it says that they have to charge it first or that it has to be bloated so they honor the battery. Horrible service.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

I ordered for parts online all at the same time and I end up getting my parts different days and I am still waiting on two parts a week later. Yesterday I get home and I find a note on my door that they gave the parts to my neighbor. I don't even know my neighbor. Why the hell would you do that? Leave the damn parts in the door like the last guy did. I'm very dissatisfied and will never use Advance Auto Parts ever again.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

I purchased a battery from this company this past spring. The battery never charged and I was told by Advance that I have a short (the battery was for a camper). I took the camper in twice to have the electrical looked at (the most recent time was October 7) and was told that there is no electrical problem and that the battery was bad.

I took the battery back to Advance Auto Parts on 10/10/17 and was told that I would get a call that evening and a follow up call the morning of 10/11/17. I never received either call. I called Advance on 10/15/17 and was told I could pick up my battery that it was fully charged. I told the Advance employee that the battery was supposed to be checked for an issue. I was told that I would get a call back in a "couple minutes." I received a callback and was told the battery was bad. I inquired about the warranty and was told there was only a 90 warranty and there was nothing Advance could do. I told them to keep my battery since they just lost a loyal customer. I will NEVER give this company my business again. They have extremely poor service and poor products. There are many other auto parts stores that can provide you service and great products. Shop elsewhere.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

For the past 3-4 weeks, I have had the absolute worst experience at the Kannapolis, NC location (501 S Cannon Blvd, Kannapolis, NC 28081). The customer service at this location is absolutely horrific and I would hope does not represent who they are as a company. The customer service was terrible from my first visit until my last. I stopped there because I was having trouble with a car battery that I purchased at this location. It was only a year old battery and has a 3 year warranty. A young kid helped us the first day and while testing the battery he actually pulled something out of his pocket to puff on a few times while helping us --- very unprofessional despite whatever it was that he was smoking on.

He told us it's the battery but implied that they do this, so people will buy a new battery. We asked him to hook up the car to the diagnostic machine since my check engine light had come on the first day I had trouble with the battery. He waved us off as if he did not have time for it and told us, it's the battery. He did not hook up our car, so we had to go down to Auto Zone to have this done. Week after week, I continued to have trouble with my battery --- having to jump it off continuously. I went back to the Kannapolis store and this is where I first encounter ** (at this point I do not know he is the manager of the store). When I arrive, he is very agitated that the other store didnt just call to verify purchase and take care of the situation and grumbles about them being stupid.

He then tells me that the person that knows how to test the battery will not be in until a few minutes --- so I wait. When she arrives, she goes out to test my battery and states there are too many fuses near it, so she is going to get ** to do it. So, the whole time I stood there waiting on her, he could have tested my battery because he in fact did know how to do it. For this and every additional visit after he keeps telling me that the battery is good and he is getting the same reading that the battery had when it was first tested and he cannot replace it if it does not read as a bad battery. This is still his excuse after two shops look over my car (one being the Hyundai dealership who does a full diagnostics test and it comes back as just a bad battery).

One day he tells me I may just have something draining my battery but does not bother to do a drain test until my 3rd visit and he states that he should have done this last time I was there. I told him that yes he should have because this is now my 3rd visit to this store. He tells me there is a drain on my battery and he is getting a reading of a .70 but it was still rising. This turns out to be a complete lie. The Hyundai dealership service team printed me off the proof that this is a bad battery and tells me there is absolutely no draw on my battery. ** sees this proof and still refused to replace my battery (again, the battery is under a 3 year warranty).

At this point, I am on my 4th visit to this store and he is being extremely difficult for absolutely no reason. He continues checking out customers and completely ignoring that I am there and was the first one there when his second employee arrives. I had to jump in front of the people for him to acknowledge that I am still waiting. I get extremely frustrated with him still refusing to replace the battery, after a while he finally agrees to.

I really dont know what type of training they give their managers or what you require from them, but this should not be it. He is a horrible manager. I have never been so disappointed in a place of business in my life. I would never purchase anything from this store ever again. This experience was beyond enough for me to know that. He caused me weeks of unnecessary stress and breakdowns (in which my kids were with me stranded many times). They need to evaluate this manager and make some serious changes. I cannot possibly be the only person that has received such horrible service here.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Advance Auto Parts?

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

I like the Advance Auto Parts store since it is well organized and usually fully stocked with polite associates. The aisles are marked with what is in them and the cost of each item is also usually marked clearly. If I have a question about something the associates are usually eager to help out. I usually purchase in the store by asking an associate for the parts I need. They then look it up on the computer. They review the results with me and then assist me in making a decision. I just wish that the prices were a little more competitive on some items. I was a little upset when I checked on an item I needed was not in stock and extremely high-priced.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

I usually purchase in store, and they have always had what I needed in stock, and the employee helped me find what I needed. I typically only spend a couple of minutes in the store, and that's what I like. Also the different brand selection was great. They're conveniently located within 10 miles of my residence. They usually have what I need at an affordable cost. I'm pretty confident when I make a purchase here I know I'll be paying the right price.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

My battery died; I got a jump and drove to Advance Auto Parts in Herndon, VA. I checked online to make sure they had the right battery for my car. Entered my vehicle info and bought the battery online before shutting my car off (knowing it likely wouldn't start again). Went in, waited around for their system to get the order. I asked if they would install it. They said yes. Once the order came in, they pulled the battery and printed out a slip for me to sign that I received it. Then told me they wouldn't install it because it would take 30 minutes and they aren't allowed. I said, "What am I supposed to do with this battery then?" They said, "Take it somewhere to have it installed." "Why didn't the website alert me that it couldn't be installed by you?," I said. "If you knew you wouldn't be able to install it, why did you sell it to me?"

They wouldn't let me return it even though they knew I couldn't install it myself. I almost started crying right there in the store. There were six employees that I could see and only four customers. Why couldn't they install it? I begged them to at least give me a jump so I could get home. I just don't even understand what just happened or why. I've never had anyone else ever tell me they wouldn't install a battery in my car, and in the 10 years I've owned it I've had the battery changed out at least four other times that I can think of (I got a dud battery once that didn't last a year). I really recommend women go elsewhere unless you are handy and know how to do all of your automotive repairs yourself. They're not interested in living up to their advertised help/installation.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

Convenient, honest, and affordable - There are many different reasons for my preference for Advance Auto Parts, but I mainly use them due to their employees. The knowledge of their employees is typically a much higher level than what I have experienced at other large chain type automotive parts stores. Instead of just having someone input the make/model/year of my vehicle into their computer system and telling me if they have the part in stock, they ask some intelligent questions about the problem I am experiencing and then help troubleshoot as well as offer advice and sometimes alternative solutions which has saved me money and trouble on multiple occasions. They are also normally the cheapest parts store as well, although there are many time that they are slightly more expensive than their competitors. The top notch customer service, along with their selection is what makes me return time and time again.

In my experiences I have never had any issues with their selection. Finally and most importantly the professionalism of their staff along with clean and easy to navigate stores makes it worth driving a little farther when they are not the closest auto parts store to me when I need automotive parts, accessories, or advice. However they do not always have parts for my oldest vehicle a 2008 Dodge RAM in stock and have to order them. Also they do not seem to have as many sales, or deals as some of the other auto parts retailers. This at times will make me go to other stores, specifically when it comes to basic or routine maintenance items such as oil, light bulbs, and things of that nature.

I do however like their online website as it is not only easy to navigate, but also accurate when it comes to letting me know if the part is available in the store. This is extremely important when I am needing a part that day and can not wait for it to be ordered. I have attempted to use other stores in the past, and when I have looked up the needed part and their online site has said it was available in the local store then driven to the store only to realize that the part was not in stock or I would have to buy a more expensive part.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

I shop in the store regularly for parts and accessories. Everyone is prompt and helpful. One time an employee told us about the rewards program and we thought it was very interesting. I like that wherever I go in the whole United States, Advance Auto Parts has my information in the computer system for warranty. They are very friendly and reliable. One time we were on vacation in Colorado and our car broke down, and it turned out to be the same part, so we swapped out the defective part for free! That saved us so much money! I am a very satisfied customer and will always go back to that store. Sometimes I go to other auto stores but I don't have the same experience in them. It's a different atmosphere for sure.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

Advance Auto Parts was great. I found everything that I was looking for and they were easily found in this store because of the way the store was laid out. I like the company because they treat their customers with a good attitude and everything of that nature.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

It was a helpful, easy place to find anything and everything I need to upgrade or maintain my minivan with helpful and friendly staff willing to help me find whatever I am looking for. Its staff was a good experience every time I have gone in there. It's very good. I would recommend.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

My alternator belt broke after 5 yrs. of having the car so I went Advance Auto and bought a new one for $21.00 because it had a 3 yr. warranty but a week later that belt broke driving home from the airport, so it's somewhere on I-10. I went back to Advance Auto and I was told I had to have the broken belt before they could honor the warranty. Now, how was I supposed to do that, if I don't know where it is. What good is it to pay the extra money if they won't honor their warranty? I only wanted to get the correct part and exchange the product!! What really boils my blood is that I have been getting parts at this store for several years! And this is not the first time they didn't cooperate with me.

The girl at the counter was about to let me leave when ** came up to me and said, "maybe I can help you." She then asks what my issue was with my car. I explained to her that I changed the battery and ever since then I could not get it started. She then asked if she could look at it and see if there was something she could do. It seemed like nobody there was knowledgeable with vehicles... until I spoke with her. She explained the type of car I have will not restart if you change the battery - it has a kill switch because I have the viper alarm in my car. She then got the unlock code for me and we were able to start my car.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

The product selection seemed extensive. There are always quite a few options for whatever type of product I want to purchase. I've been in the store multiple times over a period of several years. At each of the three or four locations I've been to, the staff has been helpful every time I've visited, even when I needed windshield wipers changed while it was snowing. However, I don't feel very comfortable in the stores. It's just not welcoming. The store isn't very visually appealing or inviting to me as a woman. I also don't like the website. I've shopped online and in stores, and it's not that easy to find what I need on my own. Fine but not amazing.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

Great customer service. Product selection is pretty easy. I usually will go online to check and see if they carry that particular part or if it can be ordered. Then, they check their database to see if they have it. If they don't, then they'll even go through one of their competitors to get you the part that you need just to make things a little bit easier so that I do not have to wait, however, the prices are a little bit more expensive at the Advance Auto Parts stores. My experiences are pretty cut-and-dry. I have not had any difficulties. All in all my experiences have been wonderful!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

Store located at 11633 San Jose Blvd Jacksonville, Fl at 1000 am 9/20/17. I took back the second Master Cylinder that was leaking at the reservoir which was a replacement for the first Master Cylinder that would not prime. ** was the Manager on duty and the person I had trouble with. I told him I was frustrated having to replace this the second time. He was rude during the process of exchanging the bad master cylinder and made a smart remark as I was on my way out. I turned back around walked up to him and said... "What was that you said?" I think he knew he messed up with his comment... because he would not say anything... I walked out of the place. I have dealt with this store since 1980 and I have also filed a complaint with their corporate office. ** I will no longer do business with YOU or Advanced Auto as long as YOU are a manager there. You have a lot to learn about becoming a manager.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

Advance Auto Parts has a very simple purchase process. Great customer service skills and prices. It was very easy for me to go in and say I need such and such part for whatever car and they can give it to you instantly! Associates are very friendly and knowledgeable and if they don't know they can look it up very, very, very fast. They explain difference in price points and brands. Easy to be a female and not get a run around.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

Workers were knowledgeable, helpful and above average. Stores are well organized. Prices are fair and reasonable. I also like that the employees can help you put car accessories or parts onto vehicles. When they have to look up the specifics about my car, I wish they would be able to look it up themselves. I went up to the counter and the employee looked up what headlight would fit my car the best and directed me to where they were located in the store. Also, the selection was good. There were options for all price ranges. I was able to purchase the product in the store and I had a mail-in rebate.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

They offer a return for any faulty products I buy there, which made returning a thermostat easier than it would have been at other stores. I just had to show my receipt along with the fried thermostat and no questions were asked. I had a little bit of trouble finding the right reservoir tank for my vehicle after my thermostat went out and caused a hole to blow in the tank. I had to call or go to three different stores to find the right tank. Very smooth process with no complications. The customer service was friendly and knowledgeable. The customer service was friendly and knowledgeable. I called the store to check availability of parts needed and then made the trip to the store that had them in stock. Great experience with helpful employees.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I like Advance Auto Parts because they never pressure me when I go shopping there and they are always willing to help me install things like batteries or wiper blades. The product selection at Advanced Auto Parts has always been stellar and their customer service meets and exceeds most other auto part stores in my area. They always have a friendly and customer oriented staff and they are very helpful when it comes to issues with my car.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

A wonderful experience. I like that the clerk was both knowledgeable and willing to help and offer me pricing options that best fit my budget. I'm not very handy myself and have never done mechanic work on my own vehicle so being able to rely on someone to assist me in finding the right part for my vehicle puts me at ease. It would be nice if there was a mechanic on site that could assist me with placement of simple jobs such as replacing a battery. But this is not particularly a complaint. I understand that certain licensing is required for such work and is not something that can be offered here.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

Quick, efficient and pleasurable. They had everything I needed for my car from brakes to accessories to interior floor mats and mirrors. I particular liked the selection of different manufacturers for the same parts. I liked the selection availability of items, A ratings and review of the items would be useful. Also, a recommended items list relating to your search would be nice. As a feature, I would like to see more sale items. The online ordering and searching was easy to use. The website was clean and clear and the checkout was seamless and allowed for different payment options.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

The customer service was really good, the employees are always very helpful and go out of their way to try to help you find the best product for what you need and sometimes can help with the installation of the parts and in a very timely manner. They always are friendly and courteous - never rude or spiteful.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

Customer service and product selection is great. The staff is always helpful and nice though they can be slow due to great individual customer service. I also love the variety of products Advance Auto Parts have including cosmetic. They are very educated and can get what you need even when you have no idea what you are talking about. I also like special orders products for you. However, it is not a place you can just run into real quick. It always seems to take a while to be gotten to. They need more employees trained in all things. It seems as though there are always more employees around that just can't help. I had mixed feelings about the last time I had to get something there. The employee actually found and ordered a rare part not normally produced but it was only supposed to take 2 days and after a week I called and still nothing. After 2 weeks they ordered it for me again. But it was definitely something I needed ASAP.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

They are well organized, have friendly and helpful employees and the stores are clean and well lit. The product selection is fantastic, and if they don't have a part I need, they get right on ordering it for me. Also, they've never talked down to me for not knowing what I needed. Maybe they could put out a coffee pot or possibly make the stores a touch more female friendly, but it doesn't hurt them for not doing this. The customer service goes above and beyond to be helpful.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

I usually shop in store. It is easy to locate what I needed. Advance Auto Parts store usually has what I need, on hand. Purchasing is sometimes confusing because you don't know what computers are used for checkout. But prices are competitive to other automotive retailers. I like the oil recycling service. However, they don't have the friendliest of employees. I often feel like I'm bothering them, when asking for help. Sometimes I feel like I'm talked down to, because I'm not a "car guy." And sometimes I feel pressured to get extended warranties on parts. But I'd go back.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I needed customer assistance which was provided to me and they showed me which windshield wipers I should buy because the ones I had prior were not the best. They were very friendly and helped me put them on my car. Advance Auto Parts allows me to buy the products I may need for my automobile at a very good price and the items are good quality as well. But I wish they would improve the ease of finding items in the store and the look of the store. It's confusing and hard to find the items I need and what brand I should buy as well.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

Low prices, great customer service, great hours, very helpful and informative staff. I went to the store for a new battery and they were most helpful. Only took 10-15 minutes in and out. Excellent product selection and it's my go to place for car parts and accessories.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

As of 9/11/2017 it has been two months since the claims dept. has given me the runaround regarding a timing belt kit that I purchased from them. I just want everyone to be AWARE that they don't stand behind their products. They like to blame the manufacturer which is Dayco. I have given them more than enough time to look into this matter and they are saying they need two more weeks for Dayco to give them an answer. I let them know that they are not dealing with a dummy because my warranty would be up on 9/19/2017.

So, therefore, they give me no choice but to file a claim. And my mechanic has advised me to do so because he knows his work was done correctly. Please don't trust the company because you will have to take them to court in order to get a refund. In the meantime, I will be contacting ** Monday so that he can warn everyone. Check out their ratings it speaks a lot of volume!!! Attn: Medina County Community be careful. This timing belt kit was purchased at 1705 North Court St. #08722. See you in court Advance Auto Parts!!! God Bless the rest.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

I usually go into the store to purchase items and the staff is very helpful and knowledgeable. I have never used the online part before but I would be willing to try it. The staff is helpful and knowledgeable. The prices are competitive with other parts stores, and I love their free services like battery charging. I also like their free battery check and the fact that they will install some parts such as windshield wiper replacements. I am a very happy customer with the way things are now. I have always had a good experience when dealing with Advance Auto Parts. I would most definitely recommend this place to all of friends and family. This is a great place to get auto parts for your car or truck.

Advance Auto Parts expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1932, Advance Auto Parts is North America’s largest aftermarket automotive parts and accessories provider. It has over 5,200 retail locations throughout the United States, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Canada. It also offers an online store featuring a large selection of products including air, exhaust, navigation, engine parts, drivetrain, tools, fluids and much more.

• Reliable selection: Advance Auto Parts specializes in all the parts and accessories you need to maintain your vehicle’s appearance and performance. It carries all the basics for general vehicle owners at reasonable prices.

• Convenient website: Advance Auto Parts allows users to customize their online shopping experience by creating an account and saving up to nine vehicles to the account. That means you can store the make, model and year of all your vehicles and receive product recommendations that will work for you.

• In-store services: Advance Auto Parts offers customers free oil and battery recycling, electrical testing, windshield wiper installation with purchase and loaner tools. These services can be especially helpful for those who might need a bit of guidance with vehicle care.

• Convenient retail locations: With over 5,200 retail locations, Advance Auto Parts likely has a store near you. You can use the online store location finder to find a convenient location, find out whether your product is available in store, then order and pay online.

• Earn rewards: Advance Auto Parts’ rewards programs can help save you money on your auto purchases. You can refer a friend and receive a $10 coupon after their first order (your friend will receive $30). You can also join the Speed Perks program to earn points for your purchases, which can be redeemed for dollars off future purchases.

• Best for: those who want reliable basic parts and accessories and assistance with selection or installation.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs