Advance Auto Parts

Compare Auto Accessories

Research top Auto Accessories recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

On July 31, 2015 I purchased 2 Marine batteries for my boat to replace 2 batteries that lasted 6 seasons (not from Advance Auto). The batteries are in the boat June, July and August. After that, the boat gets winterized and the batteries are removed and stored in a dry place on my workbench. They get fully charged prior to storage. In 2015 the 2 new batteries were in my boat 1 month (August) before winterization.

In 2016 they were in my boat June, July and August. I got a total of 4 months usage from these 2 batteries. These 2 batteries will not charge. I have 2 chargers and also purchased a new one. All 3 will not charge these batteries while saying the batteries are bad. I spent a little under $300 for them and Advance Auto will not stand behind their poor product. I have never dealt with a company so poor with customer satisfaction in my life. The workers at the store are no help at all. I will never shop at another Advance Auto again. Their quality in parts and support are as poor as it gets.

Would not installed purchased battery. Computer said more than 30 minutes. Took 6 minutes to remove existing. 2012 Ford E350. Gimmick to overcharge for battery, and not verify charging system or replacement of battery.

I am a loyal customer of above business for over 15 years. Recently I ordered a battery for my 2003 Hyundai Elantra from 9272 Old Keene Mill Road Va. Per their advertisement in the store for "Free battery replacement" I asked the store to replace my old battery with newly purchased battery, but the store representative refused to do so. I am a 31 years veteran of DoD and a senior citizen of this country. After repeated request to store manager also the store refused to install my battery and I have to look for an alternative to get it installed. Hence I urge to all senior citizen to boycott this store. I will never purchase anything from this store. I urge this business to correct this practice by implementing adequate disciplinary action to the manager of this store for violating their management policy.

I agree with posts about specific individuals at Advance Auto stores having difficult personalities; that happens in any business. However, generally service depends on training for the employees and the actual head count at a store. The corporate management at Advance Auto is abysmal. They cut employees hours if a store is doing well. First of all Advance Auto does not pay a living wage. They consider labor to be a commodity so they go with "what the market will bear." They get away with it because there is very little competition for labor so the wages are driven down. Even with the low wages the corporate management cuts hours making it even farther from a subsistence wage. This damages the morale of the employees which results in those employees not being incentivized to work hard.

Even if they work hard, and most do despite the incompetent and callous corporate management, the stores are hopelessly understaffed resulting in overall customer dissatisfaction. The good will between the name brand and the consumer is radically diminished because of corporate policy. Add to all of this, it is not even a safe place to work. There are no cameras for the employees' safety. Those cameras would deter robbers and shoplifters. Discourage would be thieves who would break into the employees' cars. There is no safety gear for handling leaking batteries and other hazardous materials.

The company forces the employees to purchase their own uniforms which don't last long because of things like battery acid, grime from being under the hood of dirty cars. Soaked from having to change batteries and windshield wipers in the rain, and etcetera. No back braces are provided for lifting heavy objects like brake rotors. Some days a single employee will stock as many as 100 heavy rotors. They can be written up if the management doesn't think that they are moving fast enough. There are no breaks. Scheduled lunches are scheduled but because of the under-staffing the employee does not get an uninterrupted lunch.

About returns. An employee might not be trained properly to process returns because there is no structured training. The employees are expected to learn it on the fly on a system that is frequently inconsistent. The employee is expected to multitask all over the place so never has the opportunity to learn even one thing thoroughly. All of this abuse where the average wage of their 77,000 employees is less than $9.00/hr. No benefits. No performance compensation. No vacation. Nadda...

The corporate office does not care if a customer has bad experiences in the store because as long as it is profitable today, they don't care about tomorrow. Yes, they do bait and switch. Yes, they are disingenuous in their returns policy. Their system doesn't work but they don't care. Sorry folks but you get to eat the cost of that which had a warranty on quite often. Basically, corporate management at Advance Auto is a cheap racket run by a corn chip vendor so what do you expect. But please don't take it out on the employees. They are the face of the company. The front line. They make it work. But they are ABUSED by THE VERY COMPANY THEY WORK FOR.

We purchased a starter last year. After about a month it started acting up. Being a Snowbird I was unable to replace starter at that time. We called Advance Auto to let them know there was an issue and they told us it was under warranty. Today I removed the starter and returned it to my nearest Advance Auto with the receipt. They informed me that since the phone number on the receipt was different they would not honor the warranty. They gladly checked the starter and informed me it was fine. I reinstalled it with same results! Removed it again and brought it to Auto Zone, and replaced it. New starter works fine. I guess I won't go to Advance Auto again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Advance Auto Parts?

Very dishonest & rude people. They sold me a part for my pickup truck that failed less than a year after installation. When I walked into the store in question that I purchased the part from they denied me the District Manager's name and contact info. They also denied me a printout of the original purchase as well as the person that they spoke to from corporate. So I called another store local and got the district manager's name & number and called him. It took 3 weeks for him to call me back and I got nothing but the runaround from him. I next called the manufacturer of the part that damaged my truck's engine & they told me I had to go thru Advance. Now by this time I was 2 months in the dm, never filed my claim and I called corporate again. They filed the claim and ran me all over the place. In the meantime someone ordered my purchase history be deleted and the part's order history was deleted too to cover up & avoid a payout.

Now many representatives later this arrogant guy in the warranty department told me that there was no way for anyone to delete the stores records of my purchase/order. That was a lie as per my brother-in law who is an IT guy for a local computer repair firm. So almost 7 months later they were tired of my calls & they paid me for part of "the engine that I had to purchase" following the DM's departure from the company. But when I asked about being compensated for all the inconvenience that I was caused. And they didn't even pay me the full amount of the replacement engine.

So not only am I paying $100 out of my pocket for the engine they are expecting me to pay $1,300 to have the engine put in!!! "STAY AWAY. THEY ARE DISHONEST, RUDE & ARROGANT PEOPLE." "YOU MAY BE THEIR NEXT VICTIM." I'm a young father with a family to provide for, with 1 vehicle in the household and they took that from me. I need my truck for work and now I'm in debt because of this company. I'll never shop there again.

They always give hard time to refund even they said that product is to let me rent only. I deposit money to use and then bring that product, return them so I can get the refund. That is a great lie. I think most people have been cheated like me. The rental product is a set to check leaking with $270 deposit. Stay away from this place.

Went to return some stuff with a valid receipt, but did not have the same credit card. Mac ** who claims to be the manager refused the return or even giving me an exchange or store credit. Why are businesses with this real bad customer service stay in business? Store number 9019.

I am a frequent customer of the Advance Auto Parts, 447 Station Ave, Yarmouth MA. On no less than three occasions in July 2016 I walked into the store for parts. I waited patiently at the counter for 3 to 5 minutes for help as the counter help stood two counters down ignoring me. There was no one else in the store. The order was placed through the online website. When I finally spoke up for help the employee, ** rudely, reluctantly said, "What do you want". This was the time I finally asked for the manager. ** was very helpful and told me this kind of treatment was unacceptable and he would deal with it. He also said there would be so new openings for help and if I would want part time work. I accepted the offer and started three weeks later.

I was doing well at the job and enjoying it until I walked in one morning to find ** the employee I reported no my supervisor. In less than 5 minutes he had belittled, demeaned and hurt me so bad with his dead eyes and evil spirit to the point I left the job. Advance Auto has a real problem with this employee. He has gotten away with abusing me as a loyal customer and now an employee. No one at Advance Auto ever called me back. I am considering legal litigation for unacceptable abuse from this worker.

I will like to leave a good review for store in Waterford, MI store# 08762. They was so helpful and even next day when I picked up my items the other staff was polite and carried my items outside. Thanks Jennie, Crystal, Ted and Ronnie. That how good employees supposed to be an ack???

This evening, at exactly 8:12 P.M., after working tirelessly on my wife's rear brakes after a long, hot day at work, I ended up having to take a drive to my local AAP store at 447 Station Ave, South Yarmouth for a new brake caliper. I knew exactly what I needed, walking into the store with the core in my hand. The only clerk, ** was behind the counter, stared at me without greeting me as a valued customer, and continued shuffling around paperwork for another 20 seconds until finally recognizing me, saying "What do you need?" - as if I was bothering him. I told him the part I needed, and he demanded a few more facts about the car, which I gave him. He was very short with me, holding absolutely no conversation and asking no questions as to what I was doing or if I needed advice.

THIS WAS BY FAR, THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE I HAVE EVER RECEIVED. This particular AAP store is the only one in my town and I rely on this for all my car needs. After this in-store experience, I am seriously considering never entering this store again, and instead driving to the Auto Zone in the next town over for my auto needs from here out. Something MUST be done to improve the way this particular employee treats your customers. I have dealt with several other employees who work at the same location and have received nothing but amazing customer service, but the 2-3 times I have had to deal with **. I have been severely mistreated.

My car did not have any break lights so I stopped at Advance Auto Parts to get the bulbs to replace. I was told by the attendant that it could be the light bulbs or the break switch. I asked how long it would take for an attendant to change the bulbs for me and he stated that they no longer offer that service. He informed me that I could go to another auto parts store if I wanted them put in! I informed him that I did not have any break lights so how was I supposed to be driving around looking for another store. He was in a hurry because it was his break so he left. I called my son to have him assist me and when he arrived he saw that the item the attendant had given me was the wrong item. I had to go in and was greeted by a female attendant who checked and gave me the correct item.

As my son and I were trying to put in the bulbs another attendant was assisting another customer outside and was helping them replace their battery. Advance Auto Parts has signs posted on their windows that they service customers with changing out their batteries, windshield wipers and such but no one could help me with two bulbs so I had to call my son and have him leave work to assist me. At one point I had to go back into the store and ask if they had any spare tools and was greeted by the first attendant who asked if I needed any help?? I told him that he waited on me an hour ago and I was still trying to get the bulbs replaced. It was obvious to my son and I that the four attendants in the store saw we were having difficulty but no one bothered to help us. They completely ignored us like we were not even there. I have done business with Advance Auto Parts but after this episode I will NEVER go there again or to any of their stores.

Once the bulbs were in I noticed that my brake lights were still not working so again I entered the store and was told by the female attendant that it could be the break switch so I purchased the item but at this point I was so frustrated because I know that if ONE attendant had bothered to assist us we would not have had to go through this ordeal.

I got an email from Advance Auto reminding me my Speed Perks discount was about to expire. $5 off $20 so I stopped by the local Advance Auto to use the coupon. Mind you, Speed Perks "coupons" are earned when you buy something else. So it's a promised discount for a future purchase, or so I thought. Put a 5 qt jug of oil on the counter and my Speed Perks "coupon", which doesn't expire for another week. Clerk scans it, says, "oh, this is no good. The oil is on sale." So what if it is oil, and so what if it is on sale??? I purchased an item previously with the PROMISE of a $5 off coupon. Only on full price items. Not even as good as coupons WITHOUT a purchase.

Advance Auto is overpriced (shop around, you'll see) and the ONLY thing that made them competitive were the 30 and 40% off coupons (sometimes even higher).

Speed Perks $5 off $20 translates to a crummy 25% off coupon ONLY GOOD on full priced stuff. Add to that your purchases to "earn" Speed Perks and it's much lower. I've easily spent thousands at Advance Auto over the years. No more. Your dumb policy on your crummy $5 Speed Perks coupon just cost you a long time customer. Off to Walmart and Rock Auto. NEVER doing business with cheap dishonest fine print weasels at Advance. Maybe some sharp lawyer can do a class action on "pay for" discounts that are no good.

In Greensboro North Carolina store Advance Auto on West Market Jennifer and Kevin was really rude. I thought they was racist. When I walked in the door was supposed to treat me as a customer and not a crook like I had stole something. Was just trying to return an oil filter without the oil filter box. Don't never returned nothing without the box there. They should remove them rude employee from the store. I wouldn't want nobody working like that for me if I had a business to run. Kevin wants to butt in my conversation. Stay in your lane Kev.

I placed and order online (#**) because they offer a 20% of discount. That's no true. When I went to the store to pick up item (a battery for my car) I realized that they didn't apply the discount. The worker at the store tell me that I have to call customer services (18772382623). Guess what... fraud!!! They said (we can apply the code to that order because is already placed). Even more, they don't install the battery because was already 06:05 pm and they do not allow his workers install nothing outside the store after 06:00 pm. I was there 05:35 but the guy who take care of me was in the bathroom. Never I will buy nothing in Advance Auto Parts again... THIS IS SUCK!!! I WISH TO PUT A (-STAR) BUT THE WEBSITE DON'T HAVE THAT OPTION, THAT'S WHY I PUT 1 STAR.

I went to Advance Auto Parts to get new windshield wipers. I paid about $40 for all three. They never offered to put them on for me, so I waited a couple of weeks until my son could do it for me. Then, we found that the wiper on the driver's side did not even touch the windshield all the way and there was about a foot of space that it didn't wipe. I went back to the store and at first the guy said it was the wrong blade. Then he started implying that my son ruined the blade. I was then disgusted and put down the blade (without the wiper) to leave and it cracked the windshield. The guy then wanted me to pay more to "upgrade" the wiper to get one that worked. I refused and he gave me an even exchange that had the same problem. I kept it for the time being just to have a blade, but later went elsewhere to get an appropriate blade.

I had to pay a $50 deductible for a new windshield and after getting another blade still have a space of about an inch where neither wiper wipes the windshield. I wanted to contact Advance Auto Parts to complain to them first and give them a chance to rectify the problem, but their website did not provide me with an email address. Very disappointed! Advance Auto Parts is only about a mile from my house, so it's very convenient, but I won't be going there anymore.

Reference: Order # ** of June 30 2016, transaction and pickup date July 01 2016. My online order contained qualifying items Wearever Platinum brake pads and two Wearever rotors, both on the same ticket. I submitted the rebate online on July 03 2016, via tracking # **. However, Advance Auto Parts denied the rebate saying that the order did not contain qualifying products. Despite asking, I have not been given a specific reason for denial. As of 7/18/2016, the rebate offer of $40 ($20/axle) is still being advertised on the AAP website. I have been a loyal AAP customer for several years but after my recent experience I am pissed off. In the future, I will buy my vehicle parts from other stores.

If you buy a battery online at Advanced Auto you do not have a warranty at the store. The store will issue a credit to your account for a refund and you have to purchase a new battery instead of getting a warranty replacement. They take forever to put the refund into your bank account. The price for the new battery purchase was more than the stated refund amount. My warranty states free refund for 3 years. My battery was 23 months old. I am still waiting for money and am thinking of filing suit for the warranty breach. I will never purchase from Advance Auto again. They do not show warranty as reason. They just show it as return.

I purchased two sets of Platinum pro brake pads and Wearever rotors from Advance Auto Parts on 06/20/12016 and 07/01/2016. I upgraded to the Platinum pro pads because a rebate option popped up during my parts search. The rebate referral offered a $40 rebate ($20 per axle) if the Platinum pro and rotors were purchased together. I went to the rebate section of Advance Auto Parts website and found the rebate offer as described. The offer required that these items be purchased by July 27th, 2016 and both items be on the same receipt.

Having exactly met those requirements, I submitted for the rebates. Both were denied. I called the customer service number and was told that I was not eligible because I bought the first set on June 30, 2016 and the rebate offer started on July 01, 2016. I explained and demonstrated that the advertisement offer did not include a begin date, only the "purchase by" date, 07/27/2016, which I had met. Despite the false advertising, I was still denied. I then waited to see the result of my second submission from 07/01/2016, as the associate stated this was the problem with my first purchase. Again denied. Clearly this is a false advertising scam to entice buyers to upgrade their purchase based on the "bait" of a rebate that will never be approved. Buyer beware.

I ordered online two rotors for my vehicle. I picked them up from an AAP (Store 7167) I wasn't familiar with because my local AAP didn't have them in stock. After a 20 mile drive, I pick up the rotors. Next day my mechanic friend goes to install them and shows me one rotor that was completely used and worn. Obviously some previous ** customer swapped the new one out for their old one and returned it in the original box. I wasn't happy but drove back to the store to get a new rotor and to complain about the fact they weren't inspecting their returns and were just putting them back into stock.

I was expecting an apology at a minimum but instead got told by the sales rep that they are too busy to go through returns and it was effectively tough luck. Then on top of everything I get told they don't have anymore of these rotors but another store (Store 8703) an additional 8 miles away did have two in stock. The amazing thing was that this other store I called the previous day only to be told they didn't have any in stock.

I drive to the other store and pick up the rotor but I ask the sales rep there why they said they didn't have any in stock and was told the person I spoke to on the phone the previous day was probably too busy to look on the shelf and physically check the inventory. I took my replacement rotor and left just speechless about how incompetent and disinterested these employees are and also about how different one store can be to the next because my regular AAP store is simply amazing (Store 8899 in Castle Rock). All I can say is steer clear of 7167 on Yosemite and 8703 on County Line Road. These stores sell used parts as new and have zero idea how to provide customer service.

I live 45 miles from the closest auto parts store, which just so happens to be Advance. Whenever I need something, I always call ahead to make sure the store either has it, or can get it shortly. The last three times I drove down to pick up parts, I was either greeted with incompetent, stoned employees, informed that they really didn't have the parts they just got done saying they had, or was given parts to vehicles nowhere close to mine. I've always had the best of experiences with this company in the past.

If I didn't know something, I could count on someone there knowing what I needed. It is apparent that the requirements to work in a parts store no longer include knowing anything about vehicles, and the (arrogant) mindset that as long as you can look up a part on that fancy computer, the customer should worship the ground you walk on. I never liked ordering parts online. I always appreciated the relationship with the parts guy, usually good people to be on a first name basis with. However, as a result of their incompetent employees at both stores in Ft. Collins, Co, I will no longer be doing business with them.

I was in Hickory, NC with my daughter for her surgery. I left hospital to get lunch and fan on radiator stopped working causing car to overheat. The only fan available was at one of your stores 25 miles away. I could not travel that distance with car overheating. The store #08025 called and had it shipped to their store all within 1 hour so my son could purchase it at their store once it was in their inventory. John ** contacted me so I could let my son know that it was there so he could purchase for me online. With this emergency and daughter in surgery they were very professional and super helpful, helping any way they could so I could be on my way. I want to thank all that helped again.

Bought a part online, has a lifetime warranty. Installed on vehicle, lasted 7 months. Took to store, would not exchange it and got accused of switching parts and trying to get over on them. Store 9422 North Port, FL. Team member who waited on me - Casey.

Every time I go purchase they make you wait online 15 minute plus while they have 3 employees talking or doing nothing who see you in waiting and not tending me at register. They're very rude and not attentive...

I bought the brakes and rotors from Advance Auto Parts specified for a $40 rebate. I filled out the form for the rebate and was told that I get the status in two weeks. Two weeks later Advance or affiliate company handling the rebate advised that the rebate was not qualified and pretty much cheated me out of it in my opinion. I will not be doing business with them again as I do not believe they were honest, nor acted in good faith. Bye, Bye Advance. Shame on you!!!

I purchased an alternator at Advance Auto Parts it went bad. I took the car to them to get a free charging system check they said it was okay but the battery light kept coming on so I took it out of the car to have it bench checked by them. They claimed they don't have the adaptor to check it so I was. That is just wrong. They could not find me in their system even though I walk down the hill from my house had the paperwork. The attitude of the manager is poor as a auto mechanic and a retired parts store and 40+ years in retail. This is wrong. I know my piddling money doesn't mean much but I will be sure to go to O'Reilly Auto or AutoZone.

I went to buy brake pads, from the website and there was a rebate offer saying if I bought two rotors with them I would get a 40 dollar rebate. I was looking at the gold brake pads, so I bought the rotors as well for an extra 50 figuring after rebate it would only cost me 10 dollars. Well after I have the rotors and cannot return them they decline the rebate. Apparently it was for the platinum only pads. This was not said on the gold brake pads web page. So I'm out 50 dollars. No biggie. I mean I really didn't need the rotors but they are done now. However Advanced Auto Parts has lost another customer, between their counter staff and now this with the web base. I'm done with the company so, be careful when buying from them. This is not the first time I have had this happen. The other time the counter guy selling me the pads told me it was rebated only to find out it wasn't. Of course I don't sit around so the pads had been installed by then.

My only day off is Sunday. I have always supported Advance for my car needs. I get to the Davenport IA Advanced at 09:40 AM. I needed the battery checked and probably replaces. The one person in the store said he could not do it being the ONLY person in the store. I'd be best to come back afternoon. So I drove a block away to O'Rileys where one of the 3 employees tested my battery, sold and installed a new one for $125. Advanced lost a customer.

I purchased brakes and rotors for my vehicle at the Horner Blvd Store in Sanford NC. When I arrived at the installation location, they took my tires off and old parts out. They then informed me that the brakes were the wrong ones. I called the store and ** the Manager had a new set from another store driven over to my location. I am very grateful as I was stuck and had an appointment pending.

I purchased a new radiator on 7/31/2015 with what I was told had a 1-year warranty. The first one I purchased leaked before I even installed it. The second radiator lasted a few weeks. The same for the third radiator that all leaked in the same spot with no physical damage done to part. Tried to take the fourth radiator back leaking in exact same spot from the end cap which is plastic. Very bad design for something holding 200 degree water and fluid and said it was a limited warranty which is now only good for 90 days so I'm now out of luck.

I installed the first one. Two different mechanics installed the next two. If you are going to sell a product with a 1-year warranty then stand behind your product. It going to cost them a lot of business from a loyal customer of 20 years and the company I work for which has 7 locations over eastern NC which consist of around 200 vehicle. We self-maintain. I called toll free number and they said the district manager would call me within 24 hours. Never heard from the district manager. I hope a $150.00 radiator was worth the hundred thousand dollars you will miss out on from me and our company.

Advance Auto Parts Company Profile