2.06/5
Based on 83 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for auto and truck accessories?

290 Advance Auto Parts Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 17, 2018

I order a right side mirror for my 2013 Nissan Pathfinder about 3 months ago and when I received it the mirror was shattered into multiple pieces. I reached out to customer care and I was transferred so many times it wasn’t funny. I had to explain my situation to everyone I’ve been transferred to and still couldn’t get the help I needed. A day or two later I tried again and spoke with a Mercedes **. I was promised a reship and here we are in July for something I had purchased in April. We are military and we’re in the process of moving and I really needed it to travel and I was, still us and will always be disappointed. They basically stole my money without any good reason. A place I will never shop from again and if I can encourage everyone else to stay away it’s only for your own good.

Original review: July 14, 2018

Had the Advance Auto in Columbia test my battery and alternator... Battery machine said it had a bad cell. Purchased a new battery and the same problems are happening. Advance won't return the battery! Bad customer service. Always doubt your test results from them.

Get expert buying tips about Auto and Truck Accessories delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 11, 2018

I have recently been experiencing electrical issues with my Ford Edge. The crew at my local Advance has helped me every step of the way! They have never been anything but patient, helpful, and kind! Other auto parts stores in the area cannot even begin to compare to the service and quality I receive at Advance Auto Parts EVERY single time. A special thank you to Geno, Nick, Steve, and William for the above and beyond service provided in helping me diagnose and repair my vehicle! Keep up the excellent work!

Original review: July 10, 2018

I bought an alternator for my Chevy truck with a Lifetime Warranty from Advance Auto. The diode went out on it, and it was draining my battery. I had my mechanic take it out, I brought it to the Advance Auto Parts store to get a new one, and he could not find the info on the computer. He said the warranty was actually a "Limited Lifetime" warranty, and not really a lifetime warranty at all. I originally spent over $95 for it just so I could have the Lifetime Warranty. It would have been much cheaper for him to simply give me a new one, because now I will never set foot in another Advance Auto Parts store! I went down to the O'Reilly's store down the street, paid $115 for a real Lifetime Warranty alternator. Don't ever shop at Advance, any of you.

Original review: July 10, 2018

My wife bought a thermostat for my Daughter's car. Sales person said she needed the better one for $11.39 and sold her the better anti freeze also. The next day I wanted to return it as it did not come with the gasket. The gasket is sold separately for another $6.00. So just about $19.00 for a thermostat and gasket. Another parts store Sells both, OEM replacement for $8.00! The problem is the new sales person never entered it right in the register. There is record of my wife buying it. She even gave my phone number also. Somehow got a rebate receipt for the antifreeze but not actual receipt for the whole transaction. This is the last time I will buy anything there again. They just built an O'Reillys closer to me. Guess where I will be going now. All they had to see was that I buy a lot for stuff at that store. Was not returning something major, Just A thermostat! Guess they would not do an override on the register.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Advance Auto Parts?

Original review: July 7, 2018

I purchased some cleaning items and one hour later I went to return some of the items with a receipt and was told no one hour with receipt? And a very rude manager. Very bad experience. Will never recommend or shop here again.

Original review: July 4, 2018

I ordered a bunch of high quality LED flashlights online and received them today. I opened the box and was instantly overwhelmed. First off they reused some box out of the trash. They tossed the flashlights into the box and then placed the paper protection on top of it all and all of it very loosely packaged, so yeah... a lot of damage. I called their so called Customer Service and of course they will give a refund but you have to take the time to send it back and then wait. I chose Advanced over AMAZON and EBAY. BIG MISTAKE.

Their Customer Care Center is a JOKE. They're polite but entirely scripted. I looked up and you have to go through their Customer Care Center to reach the corporate office. I took pictures of the way this was packaged and thought the Corporate Office might be interested. Customer Care did not care about the images and talking to the Head of Customer Care, "She is the highest person anyone can talk to at Advanced Auto". There ya go... They really don't care and in doing a search on finding the CEO's phone number apparently Advanced Auto online sales has many issues and they just laid off many.

I like using the local stores but I will never again use their Online Services. The pictures tell everything about how much they care, and their "Customer Care Center" just confirmed the same attitude as the mess in the box. This is going up on Yelp and every other venue I can find. Order it through the store... and that way if they mess it up you get you money back right then. Rockauto.com is good and Auto dealerships sell OEM parts online for even less than RockAuto.

Original review: June 29, 2018

Went to the St. Cloud, Minnesota location and ordered/purchased two front lower control arms (Moog) & two sway bar links (Moog) for my 2012 Ford Focus SE on June 8, 2018. Young guy helping me said that he'd have to order everything in and that it would take about a week to get the parts. No problem, I was okay with it and even paid upfront $437.13 to ensure proper service. Told him to just give me a call when everything was received and ready for pick up.

Two weeks later I decided to call the store to find out if everything was received and ready for pick up, because of course I was never called the following week, but no big surprise there! So the other young guy "Bobby" who answers puts me on hold to check and see if they are all there. 10 minutes later, other guy picks up the phone telling me that "Bobby" was looking into it and asks if I can hold a little longer, I said, "sure, no problem". 5-7 minutes later, "Bobby" picks up the phone and asks who helped me, because he has no record of the parts even being ordered. So I described the kid who helped me originally and then "Bobby" tells me that that guy no longer works there.

At this point I am becoming annoyed, well how does that concern me? Then I asked well I would like my money back, since clearly you failed to get them! "Bobby" tells me, "Sure, just bring in your receipt and I can help you out." I asked, "Well why can't you just look it up and return my money to my card you charged, I don't have the receipt or time to come in and waste more time for a problem that is not mine?" He tells me without a receipt I'm not going to be refunded. I said, "That's ridiculous, let me speak to the store manager, what's your name?" He then tells me that his name is "Bobby" and that he is the manager and if I'm going to be upset about this that he can't and literally refuses to help me.

I said, "You charged me $437.13 for parts that I didn't receive, just who in the hell do you think you are?" I then said, "Fine I'll contact your corporate office and handle it, as well as file a formal complaint," he basically tells me, "Fine you go right on ahead, because I really don't care." So, at this point I call Advanced Auto Parts customer service hotline (waste of time), I get the prompts, nothing matches my reasons for calling, so I pick one, 25 minutes later I get a "service representative" who tells me wrong department, here I'll transfer you over, 35 minutes later, computer generated message says contact online help desk because their phone line is just too busy!

So, I called my bank and filed a dispute on the transaction. Nevertheless, what a joke this place has become! I'm putting this out there for everyone else to see so you can know what kind of service you are getting from these fly by night "parts professionals" and cookie cutter retail chain stores that are a waste of time and money in the long run! Bottom line, go to the dealer for your parts, they'll be correct, fit properly, be surprisingly equal in cost, and you'll receive far better results for your hard earned money!

Original review: June 25, 2018

I purchased a starter for $177.99 and $12 for the core. I returned to the store with the core and was told I couldn't get a refund since my wife purchased the starter on her debit card. They took cash immediately out of her bank account. My wife is out of state with a sick family member. I emailed the corporate office, no response. I called and waited on hold 20 minutes, nothing. I tried live chat. 24 minute wait. I sent a second email and let Advance Auto know I am out of options and will file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. All this over $12 that is rightfully my money. This is a small amount but multiply $12 by the number of customers they steal from and it adds up. I run a small farm service business and constantly need parts, so this tells me that they don't need my business. I would think my issue would have been resolved easily but have gotten nowhere. I am open to suggestions if anyone has one.

Original review: June 20, 2018

I purchased an item and discovered the item wasn't needed and proceeded with a return and requested a cash refund since I had used a debit card and PIN. Refund policy summary CLEARLY states that should you request the cash back in this situation. They are happy to do it. ** at store #4610 Patton Ave. ASHEVILLE, NC, violated that policy when she refused to do so. Not to mention how incredibly rude she was about it. Who do people think they are???

Original review: June 1, 2018

I had ordered parts needed for my vehicle online & paid with confirmation code. I arrived at same name store closer to my home 10min. away from each other with my paper copy with confirmation code. They called the store at 2727 US Hwy. 92 Lakeland, Fl to see if they can transfer the order to the one closer to my home speaking to the manager & he bluntly said no. I thought that they were supposed to be professional and courteous to the customer. I guess that isn’t so for certain stores.

Original review: April 23, 2018

I purchased a car battery for my occasionally used car a few years ago. When I got it, there was battery acid all over the place, and the sales guy had to clean it up. Obviously, the battery had been tipped over for some time. But the sales person said "not to worry." We tested it and it looked OK. After that, it only took a few years for the battery to start to fail. Even though it's a "sealed" lead-acid battery, I decided to open it, and to my surprise, there is very little electrolyte left, about half. So, it was tipped over. I should add more sulfuric acid because water alone probably will not work. Bad. The "pro-rated" warranty is sort of useless. No more Advance Auto for me.

Original review: April 15, 2018

I went to Advance Auto in Greer to buy a part for my car and they sold me the part and I used my bank card. Went back to my car to install it and yes it’s was the wrong part. 15mins later back at the store and now they don’t have the right part and cannot order one. So I wanted my money back so that I could go to AutoZone to buy it and they had it in stock but no they didn’t give me my money back. They give me a In store credit and now what the Hell I suppose to do with it. Now no money to go to AutoZone to buy it and now I am really???? I think they just took my money????

Original review: April 15, 2018

Went to buy spark plugs and all they had was most expensive ones in stock, we said, "No thanks. Saw them cheaper." We were told there is a rebate so it come to less than if they had cheaper ones in stock. They denied our rebate with no reason.

Original review: April 9, 2018

Advance Auto Parts is the worst auto parts store that exists, buy a sensor I received one that was not the one for my car. When I went to the store to have it exchange for the right one the representative refused to make the change. I had to call customer service and it took me 1 hour for them to finally answer me, and the correct sensor was broken defective and the same story was repeated, wasted my time on the phone for over an hour to tell me they can not help me, I lost almost $200 to buy parts that are useless. Everything they sell are very poor quality, they do not work, they come out defective and it is always a problem when you wants to make a claim, or want to exchange or your money back. Worst auto parts ever. Don't waste your money.

Original review: March 28, 2018

I placed an online order around 4pm for pickup at Store 8503, 2842 E STATE ST, SALEM, OH 44460... At around 7pm I arrived at the store to pick up my order, a counter person named ** ask what he could do for me, I told him I was there to pick up my online order and him my name... He went back and checked and came back up and said they didn't have anything for me... I told him I order it online about 3 hours ago and selected the Salem store for the pickup location, he said, "Oh, you order it online, me go check again," when he came back up he said, "I don't have anything for you."

I asked him to look it up and see if they actually had the parts there at the store, and he went back and brought them up to the counter, then he said, "Will there be anything else?" And proceeded to start ringing up an order, I said NO, and I don't want the plugs, because I'm not going to pay for them twice, I already paid for a set online and I used a 25% off discount when I checked out.

He snatched the plugs up off the counter and started to walk away while saying, "Then come back with your confirmation number." I replied, "Yeah," and, "So much for the 20 minute drive to get here," and called him an ** for being less than helpful and having an attitude with me. As I was leaving the store and almost out the door I heard ** say, "**." I quickly turned around and went back in and said, "What did you just say to me?" He replied, "I'm just repeating what you said." I asked, "Who's your manager?" He said, "I am." I said, "Whats your name?" He opened his jacket to reveal the name **.

I told him I would be contacting Corporate to let them know just how he treats his customers. He said, "Go right ahead. They can't do a thing. I can do whatever I want. I can even throw you out of my store if I want." I looked at him and said, "I very much doubt that." I then told him, "Expect to be fired because I pretty sure Corporate won't like to hear how you talk to and treat your customers."

Original review: March 27, 2018

I went to 929 Main Street Advance Auto Parts store in Waltham to replace the car battery. ** from this store first helped me identify the correct part and replace the battery on my Honda Fit. He was very knowledgeable, professional and helpful. I am very happy with the service I got. First time experience is very positive! Thanks sincerely.

Original review: March 21, 2018

Bad Store Customer Service, China Grove, NC - Called, communicated my need to employee for a Subaru Auto Transmission Mount. He put me on hold, never returned. Later, I talked to another employee, Matthew. I went to the store, my credit card in hand, asked for Matthew. Matthew was on the phone, he spoke me, finished his conversation with his customer, I had a 5 minute wait. Then, Matthew, spoke to me again, stating he had another call. After 15 minutes, standing there, I left, went elsewhere for my part.

Original review: March 7, 2018

Today I had the great unpleasure of visiting my local Advance Auto Parts store in Bloomingdale, FL. I just had a jug of oil to recycle. As I entered there was only one customer in the store and two employees. No one says hello. I simply ask one guy that was with a customer where oil receptacle was. First he acted like he didn't hear me. I said, "Sir again..." and he says with a smartass attitude, "Let me stop everything I'm doing!" What?? Just point you can see I have an oil container in my hand. I was not making him go out of his way or stop helping a customer by any means... Just rude, crappy customer service. AAP bring back some standards with customer service as a priority. Will be use RockAuto from now on. Sick and tired of crappy service. Ps. Wish I knew his name to post it. Heavy set guy with tattoos and piercings all over his face. If anyone checks these.

Original review: March 4, 2018

THIS STORE IS LOCATED ON 2502 E. State Road 60 (0.45 mi) Valrico, Florida 33594. Don't you ever buy nothing from this store, EVER, EVER! My husband bought a starter motor from this store, saying pretty much 1 year of guaranty... It arrive the same day. Was placed in our car and it last only ONE DAY, next day went for a refund and this lady call ** just denied IT, maybe it was not her decision to make, but the excuse was that it’s scratched... So before they said "is nothing we can't do", "you should test it before put inside the car" (hilarious stupidity excuse). Then they took the starter motor but still no refunds, so pretty much they try to steal from my husband, he ask for a refund or he will call the police and he even ask for the corporate number and this was denied! At last they realize he was not going to leave from the store so they give him his money back cause this motor had 1 year of guaranty Jesus Christ.

But it gets better... He was kicked out from the store and told never again come back!!! So to the manager in duty that pretty much was the one doing all this, you need to go back to clean the floors and learn a little more about freaking customer service! Denying a customer the corporate phone number is pretty much illegal my dear ignorant, so I will make sure to tell every single one that this store sucks...and you as well! Cause you treat really bad a handicapped man, you tried to steal from him and even told him that he can’t ever come back to your store! Believe me, no one wants to go back to your horrendous customer service and your stupidity authority over the store. EVERYONE PLEASE AVOID THIS PLACE!!!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018 I should have read reviews before buying a battery from this outfit. My story is the same as other reviewers: 3 year "free replacement battery" died a month before the first year after my truck was sitting idle for about 10 days. Took it in and just like others, I was told the battery needs to be charged before they can even consider replacing it. Company protocol...the guy called it...Yeah...protocol to rip people off. So I left it there this afternoon and have to go back tomorrow to get it. What a pain for a stupid battery which should have lasted at least 4 years! I am 100% positive that they'll say "here is the battery all charged up. It was your fault for let the truck sit for a week." I've never had this happen to any of my cars and I've been around the block a few times. Last battery on this vehicle lasted 6 years!

Never buying a single item from Advanced Auto Parts. More like backward auto parts.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

Tired to place an order online for hours. Found the Item I wanted, applied the coupon and tried to check out. Input my email and they want me to sign in. Try to sign in and it says invalid password. I know the password is correct because I use the same one for everything. So I go through all the steps to change the password (a big pain). Ok. New password is accepted. I'm in my account. I click shopping icon and my order is in my cart. I go to pay for my item and put my email address in. I need to sign in to my account in order to proceed with the order. So I type in my password and it says it's incorrect. Again I use this password for EVERYTHING and was Denied AGAIN. I spend time to check everything over.

I changed my password for the site AGAIN thinking just maybe I made an error. Went through it all again and nope. They know my email address but will not accept the password. I am so mad. Tried a few times and get locked out of my account. Contact online support and they disconnected me and now refuse to give me the option to contact them online. I try calling the phone number and I'm on the phone waiting for a half hour with no luck. All I want to do is place an order. I hang up. That elevator music drove me crazy for a half hour. I live in a small town. Our automotive options are very limited. And they just wasted about 3 hours of my time and raised my blood pressure up enough to, let's just say enough want an outlet of relief.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

My order was for a Bosch cabin air filter #W 3859WS, I was charged $30.76, Rock Auto & others have the same exact Brand specific & part number product for $16.06 half price. My bad as I didn't do my homework first, just be aware Advance has extremely high prices!

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

I purchased a "gold" battery with 3 year replacement. I use store #2101 in Williamsburg Va. After about a year, the battery died after about a week of not using my truck. The Advance clerk tested the battery with their machine and told me the battery was OK. It was charged and lasted about a month. Then it went dead again. Now I want a replacement. Well, I'm told it has to be charged overnight and tested again. I ask what they think I can do without my truck for a day? Obviously they don't care.

They blame it on my truck. Maybe I have an intermittent problem with my alternator. Maybe a bad connection. I have a thought, maybe it's their testing machine which is designed to not honor the battery warranty. How can we tell. Well, if I got a replacement battery and had no troubles, then the problem is solved. If I still have problems then the problem is elsewhere. I have a similar battery problem with an Autozone battery and they replaced it without a problem. I guess I know where I'm going to buy my next battery.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

If you take your vehicle into a shop and the shop orders your part and it has a warranty the warranty is not yours. It belongs to the owner of the shop. You will be asked for a receipt which you will not have as the shop has it. They will tell you that it is the shop's job to get your money back but before they will you will have to take the part back to the shop and hope they can get it done and you don't have to go back. If you need parts in the Los Lunas N.M. area DO NOT USE THE CARQUEST STORE. They are rude, will not help you when you need it and as unfriendly if you want anything like warranties as they are an Independent Store. So they don't have to work with Advanced Auto Parts and will not. But it will only be a little time before they close as their customer base is growing smaller and smaller. Remember you buy your own parts if you have a warranty.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

I ordered a part (reservoir) and was told by Liz the representative it would be here in 4 days. When I called on the 4th day and talk with the manager they said they didn't even have a routing number to check it with UPS and it was going to be almost another week before it would be here because of the weather. I had to call just to find this out. I was very disappointed and let down. I needed a part desperately. My car is overheating and I'm going to end up cracking the heads if I keep driving it yet I am a single parent and must go to work and take my child to school. Have they told me this earlier I could have had another part from another place but I did not find anything out until the day it was due and I already paid for it. They were not apologetic nor professional. They acted like they could care less.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

Purchased two batteries online with promotional rate discount codes for store pickup at my local store. No issues with the pickup other than the fact that they never have anything ready and look at you like you're retarded when you tell them you are there to pick up an online order. Installed the batteries the next day, and brought the cores back that afternoon. The girl behind the counter, who appeared to be the only one running the store, kept insisting that I already received my core refund and that it was applied as a discount promotion. After arguing that point that I had not returned the cores, and the receipt clearly stated I was being charged for a core until return, she proceeded to do some stuff on her computer which she clearly had no idea how to operate because she wound up refunding one of the entire orders.

Now she claimed she had to call Advance Auto customer service, while I stood there with her waiting on hold for 15-20 minutes, she figured out that she pressed the wrong button the computer for the core return, which now left her with the dilemma that she refunded the entire order on one of the batteries. When customer service finally answered, they told her that they could not re-bill the order because I paid with PayPal online.

She then requested that I pay for the battery again, which I mistakenly allowed her to do on one of my credit cards where she proceeded to bill me for a higher amount than I originally paid for the battery, then gave me a stack of receipts back which did not include the receipt for the new order she placed on my card, of which I have no proof of the incorrect billing. Advance Auto Parts hires the worst employees I have ever encountered in my entire life, I have had problems in the past in multiple stores but this was by far the worst encounter I have had to deal with thus far. This girl did not have a single clue as to what she was doing. This was my last purchase with them.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

Purchased a gold 700cca auto battery (Autocraft Gold Battery) 2 months ago. Suddenly the battery would not start my car. I had it jumped started and took it to a reputable auto repair shop. Everything electrical checked out on my car. The garage charged my battery on a 30 amp charger for over an hour and was only able to obtain a 539cca. I took the battery to the Advance Auto store and after putting it on their tester they proclaimed the battery in working order. They advised charging it in the store for 35 mins. After the charge, it went up to 560cca.

They would not remotely consider exchanging it since the machine did not kick out a particular code. I walked out completely frustrated and felt ripped off. Why did I buy the best battery Advance Auto sells at a 700cca rating and 2 months later it won't charge over 600cca? If I wanted a lower rated and cheaper battery I would have purchased it. The famous testing machine can't think beyond that the battery should start your car, end of discussion. The clerks only push the buttons, cannot help, also end of discussion. It was my first experience returning anything to Advance Auto and it will be my last.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

I have bought all my battery at Walmart or other retailers and never had any issues with returning/replacing my car battery (defective/ have issues). My first time buying a battery from Advance Auto Zone was a nightmare. I bought an Optima Yellowtop for about 250 and it didn't work after a year of purchased. I had a three year free replacement warranty on it. I took it in to replace it, expecting to just walk out with a new battery due to the free replacement warranty.

It was a big headache, similar to other posts here about trying to replace their battery. The sale clerk seemed annoyed when I mentioned about replacing my car battery. The sale clerk told me it was their policy according to the warranty that they need to charge/test the battery before they can make a decision on replacing it. This policy was not posted/stated anywhere on the warranty. It must be a made up policy to prevent you from replacing their faulted products. The sale clerk also told me that it would take them more than 24 hours to test it and charge it and that I can buy a new battery if I can't wait that long.

I told her that I don't need to buy another battery and she took my car battery and put it on a shelf. I looked around and there is no customers in the store and nothing on any of their battery chargers. I asked her why she didn't test my battery right away and put it on a charger and she said that she will do it when she have time. She walked to the back of the store and I can hear her talking to another co worker about what she was doing for the holidays. I will never buy anything from them again.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

Wouldn't honor warranty on Autolite Spark Plug Wires. Couldn't find my info in system. Never asked for info when purchased. Personally have purchased over 6 sets of these wires from Advance since the early 90's not once was I asked for info for purchasing wires. No longer carried at my nearest Advance. One of many reasons I haven't shopped there in years.

Not sure about Advance Auto Parts?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Auto and Truck Accessories for you.

Advance Auto Parts expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1932, Advance Auto Parts is North America’s largest aftermarket automotive parts and accessories provider. It has over 5,200 retail locations throughout the United States, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Canada. It also offers an online store featuring a large selection of products including air, exhaust, navigation, engine parts, drivetrain, tools, fluids and much more.

• Reliable selection: Advance Auto Parts specializes in all the parts and accessories you need to maintain your vehicle’s appearance and performance. It carries all the basics for general vehicle owners at reasonable prices.

• Convenient website: Advance Auto Parts allows users to customize their online shopping experience by creating an account and saving up to nine vehicles to the account. That means you can store the make, model and year of all your vehicles and receive product recommendations that will work for you.

• In-store services: Advance Auto Parts offers customers free oil and battery recycling, electrical testing, windshield wiper installation with purchase and loaner tools. These services can be especially helpful for those who might need a bit of guidance with vehicle care.

• Convenient retail locations: With over 5,200 retail locations, Advance Auto Parts likely has a store near you. You can use the online store location finder to find a convenient location, find out whether your product is available in store, then order and pay online.

• Earn rewards: Advance Auto Parts’ rewards programs can help save you money on your auto purchases. You can refer a friend and receive a $10 coupon after their first order (your friend will receive $30). You can also join the Speed Perks program to earn points for your purchases, which can be redeemed for dollars off future purchases.

• Best for: those who want reliable basic parts and accessories and assistance with selection or installation.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
    ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

Advance Auto Parts Company Information

shop.advanceautoparts.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business