Garmin

Compare Auto and Truck Accessories

Research top Auto and Truck Accessories recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Garmin is fairly easy to use and a good option if your car doesn't already have GPS in it. I keep this in the glove compartment in case I'm lost in an unfamiliar area. The issue that I have with it is that it's never been updated, so it's not exactly helpful in new construction and new cities. I believe that one of the major just advantages with purchasing a Garmin is that you have to constantly pay to keep it updated with the newest cities and construction. When you buy Garmin device you should offer free lifetime update. Kind of like what you get when you buy Windows nine or 10.

I purchased item online and the description of features was fairly clear and easy to understand. I thought it was the best choice at the time. It was easy to use and seemed to have all the features I was looking for. I decided to purchase it because the price was right. The item operated as I anticipated and I could even use it on flights, which I thought was pretty versatile and fun to use. All was well until I needed an update.

My Garmin was performing extremely well until recently. I've owned for years without a problem. I recently moved to Texas near Houston and needed to update the maps. After the update, my GPS was never usable again. It turned itself off and on, changed screens, and would not accept any new address. I contacted Garmin and was on the phone with a technician for over an hour. At the end we had totally cleared it and reinstalled the program. It appeared to function correctly. The next day it returned to the former condition. I recalled that a former model had failed years ago almost immediately after a map update. Highly suspicious, to say the least. I wonder if anyone else has a similar situation. Not happy with Garmin!

At the time when car GPS was first becoming popular Garmin stood out as the leader in GPS because I was familiar with the name already since my dad used some of their marine products and the GPS device was clunky compared with products of today. But at that time it certainly stood out and offered great navigation features. We bought it at a Best Buy where my wife and I were able to actually see and touch the navigation unit but we ultimately purchased from an online retailer resulting in a savings of nearly 20% compared to in store.

I received my Garmin Vivosmart HR for Christmas after suffering a mild heart attack in September. I've been very happy with it and the mobile app that comes with it, with only a couple exceptions. When I'm doing an outdoor bike ride, it can take several minutes before the GPS locks in and I can start my ride. That gets frustrating. Also, strange as it may seem, the wristband is very difficult to get fastened. And finally, the heart rate seems to be understated to me most of the time. Certainly when I compare to a manual count. But overall I really enjoy the device. It stores a lot of information, and it is smart enough to tell that I'm doing "high-intensity" exercise even if I don't tell it first. It's one of my happiest acquisitions in the past couple years.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Garmin?

I love that Garmin is easy to use. It has up to date maps and traffic conditions. The favorite feature updates continuously. The screen is easy to read and sensitive to the touch. The icon selection has many pleasing choices. I would recommend it to anyone looking to purchase a GPS unit.

Garmin has a good selection. I ordered online and I don't have to go anywhere to get the product. They got it to me promptly. However, the shipping was a bit expensive. I dislike that the the device can be transferred to multiple vehicles and saves old trips. Product could be cheaper. There are comparable apps to download on my phone. I also don't like that it has a battery, but I like that it makes trips easy. I don't have to preplan other than the time needed. I can usually find anything without much trouble. Device can be hidden in glove box and I'm able to trust the device.

I like that the features were dependable, denotes a quality of durability and longevity. Customer service was very helpful in clarifying all questions. I call the actual company to order products. Satisfactory was the overall outcome. A definite recommendation to family and friends.

I bought Garmin at the store. They had a wide selection of different GPS systems and the employees there were very helpful giving me advice on which one to choose. However, there was a problem with the input cable when I bought it so I went to the store and they replaced it right away. The base of the GPS is not as heavy as I would like to be because it tends to move around on the dashboard when in motion so I have to put some tape on the bottom to prevent it from sliding but I really like the size of the GPS display and the picture clarity. The audible tones are easy to hear and the button are comfortable to use. The navigation updates very frequently so there is no delay when driving.

The virb action camera is one of the greatest pieces of equipment I have ever purchased. However, I would change the price to be more affordable but it is worth every penny. I like to buy things in store, but I find it difficult to find all of Garmin products widely distributed. So, I ordered online. Other than that, I would recommend that everybody go out and buy one.

I bought my Garmin GPS from a Target near me. Choosing the right model and service was not hard. I like Garmin for its dependability and accuracy for navigation, as well as compatibility with my vehicle. It is easy to set up and very easy to use, even for my not tech-savvy parents. However, it is becoming rather redundant to have navigation using the Garmin service when I can just as easily use Google maps. I don't see the use of having another external component to clutter my car and that needs constant charging when I have all the capabilities in my phone. Overall, clear packaging and reasonable prices made the experience smooth.

All merchandise has previously been purchased in store and although customer service was friendly, helpful and attentive, I would have appreciated if they had been better trained and more knowledgeable on the items and issues that I was inquiring about. I have had to pursue someone either online or over the phone for any in depth help with any issues. I felt that there was too much time wasted with the customer service rep trying to find the answers and information that was needed to get my items up and running efficiently and correctly.

The employees were extremely helpful however, very kind and again accommodating. Most likely in the coming future I would probably make any future purchases online as to avoid the go between person. My experience in the past has led me to believe that it is always much better to do business directly with the company. Overall, great quality merchandise, reasonably priced and extensive selection covering several categories of interest. Easy to use website with extensive details on items, prices and availability. Really liked the website setup, very user friendly.

We have a Garmin GPS and I love it. We did a lot of research online and by talking to friends before we purchased, then called the company to order. The representative was friendly, knowledgeable and very helpful. The device is easy to use and has never gotten us lost. The fact that it didn’t break the bank is points in its favor as well but I don’t like the fact that it came with a limited number of maps and if you need others you have to pay for them. I consider that a hidden cost. When you purchase a GPS you expect to be able to go anywhere and it will help you find your way.

I bought a Harmon GPS system for my car at a retail store like Target. There was a display that showed a number of choices of devices and the various assets of each choice were clearly stated on cards below it. The system worked well, and I especially liked that there was a voice guidance portion where the volume can be adjusted but I did not like the method that it had to attach to the dashboard and the cup really didn't attach firmly to the dashboard as it kept slipping from it.

I really like the GPS products that I have purchased from Garmin. I have found the Garmin products to be very user friendly but not only are they easy to use but they are long lasting. I've purchased two products not because one broke but because another brand's product wouldn't always work when our weather was bad and my Garmin always worked perfectly. My first product was purchased in a store in NC but my second was purchased online. I knew from personal experience that I wanted another Garmin so I only had to decide which model to purchase. My devices are several years old so I am confident that if there was a problem, Garmin would have made improvements.

The store was clean and organized and there were helpful staff to help me find the exact part that I needed. Purchased in store and the staff was able to help me find the right part immediately. I can't think of anything I would change about the company. I would recommend to a friend.

More accuracy than the others I've owned. Easy to program the location. Cities and road names pop up with just a few letters typed in. Screen is clear and easy to read. Volume isn't loud enough and little bigger screen. Needs better suction cup for the window and a USB cord connector to be able to use cable with other devices or the computer. Does not hold charge. Will not work unless plugged in. I had heard good things about this company from friends. I purchased the product in store. Decided to try after my TomTom went missing. The price was inline with the others. But the people at the store had very little education on the product.

Garmin is easy to use and does exactly what I need it to do. I owned an earlier model and liked it very much. Sometimes the upgrade takes some time but the reviews were very good. I researched the price and found best deal on Amazon. There isn't anything I would change and would recommend it to anyone.

I purchased my Garmin at Best Buy in-store. A knowledgeable associate told me the new specs compared to the older models which helped me to select the device. I like the lane assistant feature and the trip computer which helps me to avoid tolls and highways. I also enjoy the built-in speakers and the lifetime map updates. I think the touchscreen can be more responsive and the device can be more accurately coordinated with the road while driving. Also I think they should allow a wider selection of different voices because the same voice can get annoying.

Garmin has leading edge navigational products that have lifetime map and traffic updates, can be moved from vehicle to vehicle, and are simple to use. I ordered the Garmin GPS online after evaluating several models from different GPS manufacturers. I chose a reasonably priced model that included lifetime map and traffic updates, can be moved from vehicle to vehicle, and are simple to use. Sometimes the traffic updates and routing around construction zones lags the real situation on the ground but the touch screens are not overly sensitive but allow quick navigation from feature to feature. I would recommend migrating to slightly larger screens to compete with the in-car navigation systems offered on many models these days.

I like how you can have favorites so you don't have to keep adding same location. I also like how it tells you how long it takes and when you will arrive at your location. I don't like how it repeats when you should turn, once is fine. More than that is just annoying. Wish it would give you a choice of different routes to take so you can decided the best choice. I like the product very much and glad that I have it. Selection at the time was great and employee helped in the decision making but also explained that they know people that were happy with this brand.

I like the fact that it's a well known brand and has research to back up its abilities. I like Garmin because the maps are reliable and updated for construction. But it frustrates me that the Garmin doesn't always respond quickly to my wants/needs and even at times doesn't have the address/location I am looking for. It was expensive at the outset and sometimes my battery life is short. I purchased online, it was easy and fast. I was able to compare it with other GPS devices along with price and ability. I was also able to read lots of reviews to help make my choice and I know several people who had a Garmin.

I like the voice, the ease of use of commands, the fact that you could plug in the address of a place in many different ways and on long road trips plan stops along the way, I also liked the programming settings, and warning of high speed. I dislike the battery life, how easily the screen cracked which is why I no longer own the product as I stuck it in my backpack and it was broken when I took it out. I also did not enjoy the time it took to update, the fact that I couldn't connect it to my phone, and the traffic indicator was not accurate. I also don't like that there is no warranty on the product. When it broke I never thought I would have used the customer service but the one time I tried there was a very long hold time over the phone.

I ordered online and the process was simple and fast. The shipping didn't take too long as well. The navigation of the website was easy and quick. The description of the product made it easy to choose our purchase. Their GPS was easy to use, and included detailed instructions. It is easily updated and the battery last a good amount of time as well. I have no issues with my purchase but I believe if I did the customer service would be good.

The Garmin GPS is a trendsetter. It has a very clear voice. The maps are large and clear. The unit itself is super sturdy. It is easy to enter in street information. Easy process for quality product. But I dislike the plastic mount. It continuously falls. Will not stick to my windshield. Very frustrating when traveling. Terrified it will fall while driving and cause an accident. My father purchased a Garmin GPS. And he was thrilled with it! He uses it when delivering newspapers. We went on Amazon to look for reviews. Highly rated. Purchased it!!!

Garmin is a very state of the art company. They are easy and affordable, and offer several different products that are easy to use. They keep in contact with their customers and are very communicative. There is nothing about this company that I dislike. They are very wonderful and easy to work with. They are understanding and helpful with everything. Garmin is available online and in many retail stores. I purchased mine online. Their website has a variety of products and choosing is easy. They have lists of all of their available products as well as previews of products that they are getting ready to premiere.

I ordered my last Garmin GPS online from Amazon.com. The selection was excellent and the service was perfect. I received my item with no problems and it has worked well for years. Their GPS devices are excellent. The directions are clear, the voice commands sound good and are pleasant to hear, and directions are provided in plenty of time for me to react. Good product, good price. What I don't like is the map upgrades are too expensive compared to other options like Google Maps. This has stopped me from upgrading my maps and from buying a new Garmin device. I use the maps that are available on my phone instead.

I bought three Nuvi units: 200-750-755... all failed. I sent the unit back to the CEO with original box and all cables and mounts. Two weeks later they sent just the Nuvi back and said to buy a new one... Now I cannot resell it.

I bought this Garmin Nuvi 2589 from a dealer here in Canada. After getting the product I updated and installed it in the vehicle. I noticed that the max speed limit did not come up anymore as it has with both of the older models I have; I called Garmin and after talking with them they said that's just too bad and refused to give me my money back; So just a warning for people out there of the Caveat Emptor policy that Garmin has now. I will be let as many people as possible know of your practices.

100% of the time when I would modify a route that Garmin gave me, I could never add any stops. If I did, the route would take me clear back to the beginning. I might have been 2 hours from my location but if I added a fuel stop which was on my active route, it would tell me I had 16 hours or some crazy number because it routed me back to my original destination. After 4 calls to customer service and them basically wanting me to do their job for them by taking screen shots and providing countless other details, I gave up.

Then, this week, the instructions cost me $5000 and almost my job as they guided me into a bridge that was too low for my truck. Yes, it was my fault for following their instructions. It was dark, there was traffic... I trusted them and now I am having to pay my employer $5000. When I complained, again, I had to answer countless questions about my map and trip. All of which, they should have tried to figure out. I am done with Garmin!!! Buyer beware!

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Founded in 1989, Garmin is an American electronics innovation and distribution company headquartered in Switzerland. Formerly known as ProNav, Garmin is best known for its portable vehicle navigation systems but has expanded its product offerings to include wearable GPS technology, aviation and marine navigation and more.

• Portable options: Garmin is an industry leader in portable GPS systems for consumer vehicles. It offers several options at various price points. Display screens vary between 5 and 7 inches and include features such as lifetime map updates, live traffic displays, built-in dash cameras, high definition display and more.
  • In-dash options: Unlike other major navigation companies, Garmin’s in-dash navigation systems are compatible with a broad range of vehicle makes, including Suzuki, Honda, Volkswagen, Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Toyota and more.
  • Cameras: While Garmin is best known for its GPS systems, it also specializes in vehicle cameras to increase safety on the road. Its cameras come with various features depending on the model you choose, including dash cameras that record in high definition and offer driver awareness warnings as well as backup cameras that enhance rear visibility. It also offers the Garmin babyCam, which allows drivers to monitor their children on the navigation display screen.
  • Fleet monitoring: Garmin also offers fleet management devices for customers who own a fleet of vehicles. The in-vehicle devices allow drivers and dispatchers to improve customer service and worker efficiency by combining the navigating power of a traditional GPS with the communication and scheduling capabilities of a mobile device.
  • Customer service: Garmin’s devices are sold at many major retailers and dealers as well as on their website, but all Garmin devices are warranted. Customers can contact Garmin customer service representatives through the website or search an expansive Frequently Asked Questions section to get help troubleshooting their devices.
  • Best for drivers who need a navigation system, especially parents of young children, and vehicle fleet owners.

Compare Auto and Truck Accessories