2.50/5
Based on 175 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for auto and truck accessories?

185 Garmin Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

When trying to update my Garmin maps the site I went on said something wasn't right on my Garmin and it got me on chat... which then led to a caller (from India) and he was going to help me. I've had that experience before where someone is going to help but ends up charging me after running through a lot of my computer. I'm very cautious as why are there so many Garmin sites to choose from for help. Are we being scammed? All I want is to update my maps!

Original review: July 31, 2018

WORST EXPERIENCE. GARMIN DOES NOT STAND BEHIND ITS PRODUCTS. Bought the device 2 years ago, signed up for a plan, used it in the woods and it was just okay. Intermittent text access was better than none. Heading out to a new adventure a few weeks ago and signed up to a new premium "freedom" plan (very expensive -- $25 annual fee and $65/month). I follow the instructions and receive the "activation confirmation" screen on the device. I repeated the process twice and both times received confirmation of activation. Good to go, right? Wrong. I get out on the trail, and nothing works. NOTHING. Zero email, zero text messaging, zero. And it was almost a disaster because we have a medical emergency requiring helicopter extraction, and luckily we have a backup Satellite Phone to use. The Garmin was USELESS.

Come back and call customer support. They send me to tech support to figure out why it wasn't working. It takes them an hour to discover the problem -- there was apparently a firmware update that needed to be installed, which of course the device said nothing about. Then he tells me that he wants to walk me through synching the device to computer, but acknowledges that he has no idea why it isn't working as we try over the course of the next 30 minutes. Exasperated, the Tech suggests I get a new device (!) but then he learns that I won't have another trip for another year, so tells me to go back to customer support to just get a refund of the $25 annual fee and the $65 monthly fee. It's like $95 including taxes. Then I can maybe send in the device to see if they can figure it out in the meantime. So it's annoying and a waste of too much time, but I agree to the plan.

Then I get back to customer service to tell them the plan and get my refund. (I tell him that's the least they can do, since I had really needed to have text communication in the woods and didn't have it. (Thank God we had the Sat Phone.) Now for the fun part: Garmin Customer Support says that they WON'T ISSUE A REFUND! Even though the device worked NOT AT ALL for the entire trip. Why? They said I should have taken the initiative to visit the website to see if a firmware update was needed before using it again! Isn't that the kind of update that you would think they would push to a device, rather than rely on users to constantly check a firmware website???? Or maybe send an email to us about, so we would have a fair chance to get the apparently critical update? And what would it have cost Garmin to apologize for my inconvenience and simply give me a refund -- a lousy $95!

I have tons of Garmin gear -- watches, monitors, navigation devices -- and they have totally alienated this customer for life. What a shame. I escalated this to more senior people in Garmin Customer Support -- same response: "device was within functioning parameters and needed to be updated. Service is non-refundable at time of activation." -- Anthony **, Billing Rep I, Garmin International, Phone: (800) 511-2459

I'm sure there are smart and capable people at Garmin who can understand how absurd this situation is, but that intelligence has not made it to their customer support team, which is their customer-facing group. This kind of thing is toxic with consumers. Sell them something that doesn't work, and then blame the frustrated customer for the failure, saying it was caused by not doing something they were never told to do (search firmware updates). Well done, Garmin. I hope you have a lot of other customers who don't care about customer service. I, for one, will never buy another one of your products.

Get expert buying tips about Auto and Truck Accessories delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 17, 2018

Command microphone cord on VHF200 completely falling apart despite having a cover and large T-top on my 2014 boat. Company tries to make more money by telling me to send them the defective cord AND $70 to "repair it". Obviously they got some crappy cord coating from China. So, they screw you when you buy it and then again when it goes bad. The man I spoke to, Lee, was like speaking to a wall. He could care less even though my work boats and personal boat are loaded with Garmin products. They just lost a customer and a lot of that customer's friends and associates too.

Original review: June 16, 2018

When I tried to update my maps for my Garmin Nuvi, using Garmin Express, I encountered a "fatal error." After trying several times I contacted the suggested tech department. Someone said the problem was with my computer, and she needed to control my computer to find out what it was. She said the problem was unauthorized people using my network, a problem that she couldn't handle but would put me in contact with someone who could. The second person also used my computer remotely to find that problem and said I would need to use BoostSpeed from Auslogics to correct the problem. That would be a $199.99 program for one year of coverage and up to $500 for longer term coverage.

I opted for the $199.99, and he was able to install and use the program to fix whatever issue was blocking the update on the Nuvi. For method of payment I needed to write a check and email a scanned copy. I was anxious to get all this done as I was ready to leave on a road trip. After coming back I did a thorough check and discovered the software could be purchased for about $65 from Auslogics, and I am concerned about what this "tech" person might have done to my computer or my data. I think this was a scam and feel badly that I ignored several red flags in the process.

Original review: May 2, 2018

We bought 2 Garmin Nuvi 2757LM units, when we went to use them they needed a 6 gig upgrade for the North American maps 12 gigs total which cost about $60.00, about one year later another costly upgrade for the new & improved maps, we went to the Apple Store and they agreed to upgrade both units using their wifi. Now with the new & improved upgrade the units can’t find anything anywhere, typed in a Range Road address 15 Kim’s east of Edmonton AB eg. 55308 RR 213 and the unit says “no address found”. We travel to location add the unit immediately displays the address once we find already found it, this has happened to us all over Alberta and in British Columbia.

As far as we are concerned these units are nothing but a money grab??? And are very unreliable even in well traveled urban areas, I will not go into the grief they have caused us in the bush while fishing and gold panning, our best advice is to buy a up to date paper map for $3.00 or use your cell phone if you can get service, the paper map is your best & most reliable reference. Garmin is garbage???

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Garmin?

Original review: April 26, 2018

They love to auto renew your account even if you've been completely inactive for over a year. I requested a refund a day after the auto-payment but they showed zero sympathy. They quickly asked to make the payment or else there will be late fees or credit collections. Make sure you click off the auto-renew box before you get started if you know you won't use the service frequently. I know this wasn't a big issue, nor a terrible financial loss, but it says something about how the business is run when they're not quick to understand the customer's situation.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

What customer support, there isn't any. I purchased an RV 760 LM and later wanted to add a traffic receiver to the unit. I ordered the receiver recommended on their website (GPM 60 HD). When it arrived it had the wrong connector on the GPS side. The receiver cable has a USB mini connector and my GPS unit has a USB micro connector. So far I've tried to open up a chat connection during business hours twice with nothing but a blank screen (nobody home). I sent an e-mail to their customer support asking what I should do. I received a standard acknowledgment and it said they would reply shortly. That was 3 days ago and I have received nothing. This is absolutely unacceptable for any company to act in this manner. I'm am wondering if a note to the Federal Trade Commission might get their attention.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I loved Garmin when I lived in the States, this is the reason why I have purchased another GPS from this manufacturer. It lasted for 4 years during rough travel, even though I became frustrated when the suction cup attachment broke again and again, no matter how careful you are with it. I love the new non-skid holder that you can put onto the dashboard instead of using the suction cup, and I was very excited to use it in my travels. Unfortunately, I purchased the largest South American map and I can't find anything on it. I have updated the map and it doesn't improve. Main streets in Brazil are impossible to find let alone intersections or addresses. 98.9% of the time I end up using my phone. It was a complete waste of money since I purchased it so I don't have to use my phone.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

I shopped in the store, salespeople were courteous and knowledgeable. The selection and the product ranges were enough. I was in and out in less than 30 mins. I looked online first then went to the store. l like that Garmin is easy to use. The instructions were clear and easy to follow. Installation was fast and fairly easy. Packaging was sufficient, and environmentally friendly. Setting it up was easy and sort of fun. But I don't like that price too high: I think it should have been cheaper, and the warranty should be extended. I also did not like the way it sits on the dash because viewing is sometimes obstructed by the sun.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

I use Garmin to get to unfamiliar places and it is very clear and gives detailed directions. It is fairly easy to use and understand and I have no major problems with it. I don't use it everyday but I use it when needed. But it is difficult to find alternate routes if there is construction. Garmin should make that easier to access. I have had issues when I come across a closed road and it just keeps trying to direct me across that route. Their customer service was fine though and there was an adequate selection for people with all kinds of different needs.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

I purchased Garmin from Amazon and it was a very smooth experience. They have wide range of models available to choose from. The online charts made determining differences between models easier. Wide range of stores carried the model I chose. I like that it is reliable, rugged, upgradeable and can be customized. I also like the quality of graphics and it has touchscreen rather than just arrows. It has unlimited traffic reports and the routing options work well. Many relevant points of interest and easy to use search. But I didn't like the integration with mobile phone. The touchscreen responsiveness, battery life and mounting can be improved and the methods and availability of free upgraded maps.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

Both the store and website are easy to navigate through. I look online to get an idea of product availability and price but usually I go to the store to make my purchase. The information about the products is clear and easy to understand and the products themselves are durable and long lasting. But I wish there were more knowledgeable people on hand to answer questions! Although the quality of the product is great, they do tend to be a bit pricey. Also, the product selection is good but certain products can only be found online. It would be nice to have more of the product line in stores for people like me who needs to see and touch before I decide to purchase.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

I have bought parts in the store and online but I prefer the store. I do not work on my truck so I find it useful to speak to the employee with questions or concerns regarding the product I am purchasing. The people are knowledgeable and they find needed parts via computer. They are organized and helpful. One young man tracked three different parts throughout the country. I like finding new car conveniences, such as a ball I placed on my steering wheel to help turn corners. I have RA and it was recommended by an employee. But they need more help during peak hours. The stores are so large and have so much inventory.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

Garmin create superior products for automotive, marine, outdoor, and sports. They are a global leader in the market they serve with superior quality and design. Their products are built to last. I ordered my product online. I found I had some questions so I contacted support center, where you could ask a question and of course different answers showed up or you contact an expert and get more personal attention. It was great. Their foundation is built on a culture of honesty and integrity, and respect for their customers.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

I ordered Garmin at a Best Buy store. The selection was very good as with most products at Best Buy. I like the joint venture with Chrysler to put Garmin in their vehicles. I find that Garmin is completely reliable. It's very easy to maneuver from one selection to another. I found traffic conditions alerts to be very helpful when traveling. The screen size has gotten bigger recently which really helps. It's very easy to read without jeopardizing safety. But it takes a long time to update the maps and it only covers a certain portion of the United States. The memory could be expanded. But it's a good product at a fair price.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

The device works well most of the time; however, their big sales pitch is "Lifetime Renewable Maps." This is a fantastic lie at best. The first time I tried to renew they said the device didn't have enough memory to renew and I needed to upgrade the memory for some fee. So, they are providing a device with renewable maps, but conveniently don't provide enough memory for the future to do that - what? So, then I try to renew at a later time and they tell me my computer is screwed up. It works perfectly, has all the security systems in place, never been hacked and as I say works perfectly for all other applications.

So, next they have me call some company in California called Easysoft (never told me it was an outside company). They say my computer is messed up and want $65 to repair. They won't take a credit card but want to copy a bank check and are asking me for personal banking information. Then the operator says they need another $5 for California sales tax even though I live in PA. The thing is a complete scam and I will never ever by Garmin products again. Don't buy their crap!!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

It’s a good GPS product and I like it. I like how it works. It is efficient and effective and accurate and it makes my life easier to get from one place to another. It is a useful thing to use when I go out. The product selection and experience was very good. I was happy about it and everything went very smoothly so I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants one of these items.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

When doing research to decide what brand GPS to purchase, Garmin was consistently ranked higher than any other. They are a well respected and trusted company. I ordered a Garmin GPS on Amazon during a "deal of the day" event several years ago. I specifically wanted a system that came with a lifetime map update feature, so I waited until the opportunity came up. It was a very positive experience and exactly as expected. The only problem I had with my GPS was that it sometimes took quite a while to access the satellites for positioning. It was annoying at times if I was out of town in an unfamiliar place. I would have to stop and wait in a random parking lot while the system acquired the satellites.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I bought Garmin from Best Buy in the store. It was amazing, quick and easy. No problems to purchasing it. Customer service was great. The employee was able to help me pick out what would be best for my needs. I liked the Map Updates, Built-In Bluetooth-equipped phone to voice-activate the GPS through the built-in microphone and speaker for safe, hands-free navigation. It also had Traffic Updates and a high-resolution touch-screen display reveals preloaded, detailed street maps of North America. Some features can be a little hard to understand on how to set up so it would be nice to have better instructions. Moreover, features that will be able to know if there has been an accident so you can detour. Other than that I think everything is great.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

There is always a good assortment of products to fit your price range from store brand to name brand. I like how they have so many locations and the staff is always willing to help with anything you may need with their expertise, anything that you may need while you are at the store even when you don't know what you're doing. Once you checkout, depend on the item the sales team will ask if you need help like with head light installation. However, I wish they offered some more services like diagnostics and more sales and coupons and discounts on various items when purchased together.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

I order online as there is no store in my area. Unlike some sites help is automatic and things don't get lost in translation like they do with some companies. I really like everything about the company from policies to products. They have high quality, made to last parts. The staff is always friendly and well informed on what they are selling. This really helps me feel like I can fix things myself with guidance from them. The only thing I wish was that there was a physical store in my area so I didn't have to shop online but I am used to it around here.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2017

My husband and I went there because our car was leaking some type of fluid. Employees were more than willing to help. They followed me outside in the snow, looked under the hood. They were able to diagnose our issue and we were confident in their diagnosis. We were happy we went to the shop instead of a repair place. We weren't in the store long, and the employees didn't charge us for looking under the hood. Very friendly and helpful staff. It really put our minds at ease. It was a very good experience, honestly. It was wonderful. I will go again and would recommend this shop to anyone.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2017

I purchased my old unit in a retail store a few years ago. The salesperson was helpful in finding a unit that fit my needs and helped explain how the different units worked and their various features. I like Garmin because they have a quality product. They help people get around without having to use a paper map. The units are modern looking and can come with accessories to attach them to your dashboard. The software always had updates for the maps. They are so prevalent that my elderly father calls all GPS units or software "a Garmin".

However, they are a bit antiquated. Garmin aren't really used anymore because everyone has GPS on their phones. They have up to date maps, but its easier to just use an app on your phone. My father had trouble getting the most recent maps and actually got lost because of that. It would be nice if they updated immediately. The devices can be rather chunky, too. Most new vehicles come with GPS installed in the dash, so you wouldn't need an independent device outside of the dash.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

Store/site is easy to navigate. Prices are much better than getting from a dealer or accessory shop. I prefer to buy my own part/accessory, then take it to mechanic and have a repair done that way. Customer service is great. Always willing to help and make suggestions. There is a great selection of whatever you might need, and if they don't have it right then, it's usually the next day or they can check with other locations to get what you need quickly. There is one guy that helps my elderly mother all the time with her aging Lumina. He always goes above and beyond. At times, there isn't anyone extra around, a lot of times, you have an associates pulled outside to investigate, which is greatly appreciated, but can bog down the buying process if there isn't another person there to help at the counter. It would be nice to have a part time person to come in at peak hours to assist.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

Small and strong. It works as it is said to. For the price, I love it so much. The price is better than most others. That’s the best ever of its kind. I got from the online store. It was a lot less money online than in store. Absolutely amazing.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

I went online to amazon.com, read reviews about the device and after going over multiple user reviews regarding the product I then made a purchase on eBay. The product was very easy to use would be my first feature that I liked. And whether or not it hooks into a cigarette lighter outlet in the car, also I really like real-time traffic updates and speed trap notifications. The tone of the voices that they use sometimes bothers me and the volume control is sometimes cumbersome and hard to find on the screen. The backlight can be way too bright for my eyes sometimes and blind me.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

What I like about the Advance Auto Parts store is the location is within a 15 minute drive. The product selection that the auto parts carry is general and they have on hand what I need or willing to order the parts that I need for my vehicles. However the prices can be more expensive due to the location and the competition's lack of other parts stores. The store is nice and the staff is courteous though.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

It has been many years since I purchased an navigator from Garmin, but I loved it. I purchased it from Best Buy and the experience was fine. It was new technology but it was easy to understand. I believe the reason I replaced it was due to the maps expiring. I find it rather odd that it costs more to update the maps on a navigator than it does to just replace it. Every navigator I have ever purchased was replaced because it was cheaper to just throw it out and buy a new one when the maps were outdated.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

I went to Best Buy to buy the gps. I liked it very much because you could customize the voice and stuff. And I especially like that at night the screen was darker so that was easier on the eyes. Updating the maps was not super easy, though.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

The staff was great and generous in their knowledge of my vehicle and the parts I needed. If they didn't know they looked it up... they were helpful in showing me the best way to change the blower in my truck. I would recommend this store to friends and family. I continue to do business here. I just dislike that the parking lot had trash from where customers had worked on vehicles and bags with trash laying around. It appeared someone cleaned out their car.

Not sure about Garmin?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Auto and Truck Accessories for you.

Garmin expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1989, Garmin is an American electronics innovation and distribution company headquartered in Switzerland. Formerly known as ProNav, Garmin is best known for its portable vehicle navigation systems but has expanded its product offerings to include wearable GPS technology, aviation and marine navigation and more.

• Portable options: Garmin is an industry leader in portable GPS systems for consumer vehicles. It offers several options at various price points. Display screens vary between 5 and 7 inches and include features such as lifetime map updates, live traffic displays, built-in dash cameras, high definition display and more.

• In-dash options: Unlike other major navigation companies, Garmin’s in-dash navigation systems are compatible with a broad range of vehicle makes, including Suzuki, Honda, Volkswagen, Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Toyota and more.

• Cameras: While Garmin is best known for its GPS systems, it also specializes in vehicle cameras to increase safety on the road. Its cameras come with various features depending on the model you choose, including dash cameras that record in high definition and offer driver awareness warnings as well as backup cameras that enhance rear visibility. It also offers the Garmin babyCam, which allows drivers to monitor their children on the navigation display screen.

• Fleet monitoring: Garmin also offers fleet management devices for customers who own a fleet of vehicles. The in-vehicle devices allow drivers and dispatchers to improve customer service and worker efficiency by combining the navigating power of a traditional GPS with the communication and scheduling capabilities of a mobile device.

• Customer service: Garmin’s devices are sold at many major retailers and dealers as well as on their website, but all Garmin devices are warranted. Customers can contact Garmin customer service representatives through the website or search an expansive Frequently Asked Questions section to get help troubleshooting their devices.

• Best for: drivers who need a navigation system, especially parents of young children, and vehicle fleet owners.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
    ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

Garmin Company Information

www.garmin.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business