4.0/5 (582 ratings)
Find an Auto and Truck Accessories partner
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About Garmin

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Garmin Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Garmin?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Garmin?

Original review: March 25, 2022

I purchased the watch in the fall of 2020 and I love it. However... after about a year of wearing the watch I noticed that the thumb side of my wrist starting to itch and turn red. I took the watch off and cleaned it with soap and a soft toothbrush then put it back on. The itching got worse and my wrist started to look and feel blistered. I cleaned the watch again with alcohol, then peroxide, then vinegar. No change. Blistering got worse, I stopped wearing lotion and body oil. No change. So I finally just stopped wearing the watch.

I reached out to Garmin online and was told to contact customer service via telephone. I did so. Spoke to a very nice gal, Sierra, who took my information and sent me to another customer service agent, Debbie, who I can only assume offices in the bowels of the Garmin headquarters far below the sunshine. Debbie asks me to send pics of my wrist and the watch to her. I complied... and wouldn't you know it, all this is my fault! The part of the band that I told Debbie looks like a coating had worn off was actually "residue" to her discerning customer service eyes. And as it turns out, I was wearing the watch incorrectly!

She so observantly pointed out to me that it was clear I was wearing the watch too tightly as you could see the indentions on my wrist..... having not worn the watch for several days I was surprised to hear this but, she's the professional, yes? After listening to Debbie explain to me how to properly wear and clean the watch as if I were a toddler with an expensive toy, I asked her to forgo the remainder of her well rehearsed lecture and just let me know If this was something she was going to be able to help me with or not.

It was then that Debbie told me that despite my complete incompetence she would benevolently send me another watch band, along with another copy of the care instructions that I followed the first time. Of note: I had the feeling Debbie had taken a call like mine before so I asked her "I'm guessing you guys have had this issue before", to which she sardonically replied "yes.". Comforting to know I'm not the only schlemiel out here trying to navigate the intricacies of the modern wristwatch.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2022

So I had a Vivosmart 4, which I used 24/7 as fitness and general health tracker. Sadly, the wristband broke a couple of weeks after the warranty expired. I tried to glue it back together with superglue, but didn't work with the silicon material. So I contacted Garmin, asking if they had any advice on how to fix it. The very next day, in reply they issued a return order asking me to send in the device. I did - and again the very next day I got a notification that a replacement was on its way! It arrived within a day, brand new and for free. Not only am I super happy to be able to track my steps again, but also massively impressed by the over-and-above customer-friendly service. Thank you so much, Garmin!

Get buying tips about Auto and Truck Accessories delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2021

Purchased a Garmin from one of their resellers. Watch out for Garmin stuffing the sales channel with discontinued products sold as new. I purchased an Oregon that stopped operating at advertised temps when hiking a 14er. Not a good place to be. No one backed a replacement with a new unit since the return policy is so short and since it was discontinued. Garmin is crap and so are resellers.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2021

I have multiple Garmin auto GPS units. I had a problem before on an earlier device and they said they could not fix it. Now I have another of the higher-end GPSs that will not work with the supplied cord and they said they cannot fix it and I have to buy a new one. The 'discounted' price they offered me was more than it was available for on Amazon. I am done with Garmin and do not recommend them to anyone. You are better off just using map apps on your phone.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2021

My Garmin auto navigation device stopped holding a charge so it cannot operate when not attached to a power source (which was a excellent feature). When I called Garmin the customer service rep said that when the device gets to be several years old, that is what happens. I asked if there was a replacement service because when you purchase a Garmin device, there is no warning on the package that the device will be worthless after several years. After a lot of back and forth where he tried many ways to "double-speak" this built in manufacturing failure, he finally said I could exchange it for another Garmin device with a 30% credit. Obviously I am not going to spend any more $$$ on a Garmin device, I now have an unattractive paperweight. Fair warning to other potential buyers: you spending money on a device which is built to fail after a few years.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2021

Their product works ok, but sometimes makes mistakes, so I view it as 85% reliable. I wanted to update the maps, but it does not work. I tried calling customer service, but could not get through. I tried their online chat, but they just send me a canned response, including steps I do not know how to do. End result - I can't update (even though they say lifetime maps).

Original review: July 3, 2021

I haven't had the opportunity to use the product yet as I have spending 24 hours trying to download the Maps update. Awful!!! On the Garmin RV 785 it just keeps saying "updating". :((( I know my cable connection is fast, so it must be their website... very disappointing.

Resolution response: Jan. 26, 2022

Garmin CEO contacted me and resolved this issue. He was not aware of USA Mart LLC. He took action to prevent them to interfere in the future.

Original review: April 18, 2021

I have been working with Garmin technical support for my Garmin 2699 auto GPS. Garmin updated the software to Ver 8.80 plus the maps. They created a problem by queuing the wrong maps for United States. The 2nd map file was incorrect and disabled the voice command function. Initial problem reported on Apr 11 None to the Garmin support persons ever checked the web site for correct files. After 6 times downloading the maps, I contacted chat and was put in contact with a (?) Garmin support person who would not work on my Garmin problem until he installed Norton swr and Malware swr which he invoiced for $400.00. He did not fix the Garmin problem. A 2nd Tech finally called me and loaded the correct maps into the 2699 that fixed the problem. He insisted I pay the $400.00 which was a scam! Turns out both tech were from USA Mart LLC out of Muncie, IND. This a SWR SCAM site.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2021

A GPS bought for me as a Christmas gift..I used less than a dozen times and had several problem with reception. When it wouldn't acquire signal I called the company. They refused to help or update the product.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2020

Hi, 3 months ago I had a problem with my Garmin Fenix 5 Plus Sapphire Titanium. The problems occurred in reading GPS, maps and pace. In October I reported this problems to Garmin Customer Service. An adviser informed me that I have to wait two months because my watch model was out of stock. After two months nobody contact with me about my case. When I called to the Garmin I heard standard apologies. They informed me that they still haven’t my watch in stock to replace my one which I sent them a while ago. I asked them to do something with it as I need my watch to my running. Even I agreed to replace for cheaper version 5 X Plus. An adviser which I spoken with said that they have in stock and will send it next day. I was asking couple of times is it will be definitely 5 X Plus model and he every time confirmed it. Unfortunately they sent me the cheapest version this watch 5 Plus and I felt cheated and upset.

Straight away I called to the Customer Service and adviser after speaking with manager said that they will check my conversation to check that I was right and their agent cheated me. Up today nobody contact with me about that they only exchanged me the watch for this which I agreed (5 X Plus). After 3 weeks of using this watch I can see the problem with elevation and pace. Each time I am starting my run from the same place but watch is showing different data. I have called today to the Garmin Customer Service and explain whole situation and that they sent me the watch which from the beginning showing wrong data. Obviously from the beginning they ask me to follow the instructions, switch on and off etc.

I have spoken with adviser called Reece and it was the same when I called last month to discuss my complaint that I was cheated by his friend. The same one who assured me that they will listen the tapes from my conversation about the watch model which I choose to exchange so I asked him did they check it. He said that because they sent me the right watch they close this case!!! For me this case wasn’t finished as someone lied me and he should bear the consequences for it! I asked him to transfer me to the complaint department because I want to get some explanation and resolve that problem. Reece didn’t want to do it and from tone of his voice I felt like he is angry on me. I feel that I was scammed by his friend and he tried to do everything to sweep this under the carpet but I will not leave it like that.

From 3 months I am without the proper working watch and without resolving the problem that I was tricked by an adviser. I feel that they don’t bother about my case because I’m not British Citizen and my English is not fluent but I’m not giving up because if I am spending lots of money for good and branded products I have right to be served and get what I paying for. Now I am waiting for response from Garmin and will update you with it. I just have to warn you to double think before buying so expensive product because soon when it won’t be working properly you will have to fight with their Customers Service and they just wanted to get rid of you not to help you.

Garmin author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Founded in 1989, Garmin is an American electronics innovation and distribution company headquartered in Switzerland. Formerly known as ProNav, Garmin is known for its portable vehicle navigation systems but has expanded its product offerings to include wearable GPS technology, aviation and marine navigation and more.

• Portable options: Garmin is an industry leader in portable GPS systems for consumer vehicles. It offers several options at various price points. Display screens vary between 5 and 7 inches and include features such as lifetime map updates, live traffic displays, built-in dash cameras, high definition display and more.

• In-dash options: Unlike other major navigation companies, Garmin’s in-dash navigation systems are compatible with a broad range of vehicle makes, including Suzuki, Honda, Volkswagen, Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Toyota and more.

• Cameras: While Garmin is best known for its GPS systems, it also specializes in vehicle cameras to increase safety on the road. Its cameras come with various features depending on the model you choose, including dash cameras that record in high definition and offer driver awareness warnings as well as backup cameras that enhance rear visibility. It also offers the Garmin babyCam, which allows drivers to monitor their children on the navigation display screen.

• Fleet monitoring: Garmin also offers fleet management devices for customers who own a fleet of vehicles. The in-vehicle devices allow drivers and dispatchers to improve customer service and worker efficiency by combining the navigating power of a traditional GPS with the communication and scheduling capabilities of a mobile device.

• Customer service: Garmin’s devices are sold at many major retailers and dealers as well as on their website, but all Garmin devices are warranted. Customers can contact Garmin customer service representatives through the website or search an expansive Frequently Asked Questions section to get help troubleshooting their devices.

Garmin Company Information