Garmin

Compare Auto and Truck Accessories

Research top Auto and Truck Accessories recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Expensive Fenix 2, waterproof/weather proof face fogged up whilst winter mountain climbing in the UK and couldn't see compass or GPS. Also fogs up every time I swim. Told support and they said it is normal that it fogs up and just because it is waterproof doesn't mean it won't fog up. I told them my husband's $40 watch never fogs up in any kind of weather. They just repeated what they said and said I should use a map and compass. I paid a ton of money for this watch for the compass, gps, barometer, altimeter, etc and at times, in rain, snow and insane winds on a mountain, you can't just whip out a map, especially when you're on rope. They didn't care. Finally they told me they would replace it for $120 which is probably a refurb and I can now, since the Fenix 2 has been out for two years, can get a special edition Fenix 2 on Prime for $150.

I purchased this item (Garmin Nuvi 2559LMT) to drive in Greece where I cannot read the streets signs in their alphabet. I knew that there was a time period before I could purchase a SIM card and use Google maps. I had to drive from the airport to a seaside town where I would be working at a refugee camp. I ordered this item from Amazon because my local stores did not carry the Europe maps which I needed. When I arrived in Athens, I discovered that the Nuvi did not recognize addresses. I needed to go to a specific hotel, at a specific address in a specific town. I found this pattern consistent, every time I tried to use it. Once I had a SIM card, I used Google maps which recognized all of the addresses.

In the beginning, I had to do workarounds, getting to a town and then asking people for directions. I had done that the year before at night which was a safety issue for me and I purchased the Nuvi to keep me safe. As a side note, the screen also froze and I would have to turn it off, reboot, to get the screen to clear. After two months, I returned to the US. I contacted Amazon for a return and they told me I had to contact Garmin since the box had been opened and it was beyond 30 days. I then contacted Garmin who said I had to return it to the place of purchase and they could not help me except to troubleshoot the problem (addresses in Greece). They assured me that all of the addresses were there and it worked fine in Europe. Not true.

I then recontacted Amazon and they agreed to refund the costs since I had contacted Garmin and they would not help. No one should buy this product for travel in Europe. I have had a US Garmin for years and it has worked fine. A few glitches on streets but overall great. I was excited to rely on the European version where it is not always possible to have a SIM card which are rarely sold at airports. It failed to do the job it was supposed to do. It should be taken off the market.

I purchased my Garmin 5S at the end of April. Since purchasing I have had nothing but problems with it. I understand that every device is not always going to be perfect. However, trying to get Garmin Product Support to help you is extremely difficult. They say you will have a response within 24 hours, but responses either do not come at all, or can take up to a week. My watch needs to be sent back, due to no fault of my own. (It has stopped connecting to my phone and the app and the functions no longer work.) The email I received to send it back was generic instructions across all Garmin products. It took almost a week for me to get the information, not I will need to wait a week to hear back on the clarification I need.

Aside from this, I am responsible for paying the shipping to send it back to them. I find this absolutely ridiculous since it is their watch's faultiness causing it to need to go back. I would prefer it would have just worked correctly from the beginning. It is also going to take up to 10 business days for me to receive it back. Based on the false timeline they give for product support responses, I am guessing it will be over a month until I get it back. I spent over $600 on this watch and have not been able to use it correctly because of the malfunctions associated with it. Now I am going to have to pay to send it back and wait even longer for it to be fixed before I can use it again. Dealing with Garmin has been worse than dealing with any budget airlines, or cable providers.

I bought my Garmin from Best Buy. The customer service was adequate. I could have just bought it online but I needed it right away. It was a convenient transaction overall. I like that it has turn by turn directions, custom voice options, easy mounting options and updated mapping and GPS options. It seemed to be the easiest interface compared to Magellan or TomTom, except maybe Google’s phone app. This unit replaced my old TomTom. The Waypoints could use some updating though.

GPS system is very capable and smart, also the price is great for this type of item. I have tried similar items and they were not as good nor as price savvy and this is why I choose Garmin as my GPS and will continue to promote them and their products. Garmin's features is good the way it is. This company has always come through and they have continuously been a loyal brand. All in all it was a very good experience from sales to customer service. It was in fact, better than previous in-store trips.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Garmin?

My vehicle was having power steering issues so I shopped repeatedly for power steering fluid. I bought my item in store. But my car is trash and I had to go into the store more than I would I have liked to, but everyone was always so helpful. The store was also in close distance to my household which is always nice. The service was fast and easy. I felt like I was in and out which was nice. I was a satisfied customer and would go back again. They definitely have a customer who will remain a customer for life.

I was given my Garmin GPS as a present from my parents before I had a smartphone with GPS in 2007. They purchased it online. It was very helpful because I have a horrible sense of direction. When I got my Garmin, it helped me to not get lost in new cities, especially when I first started college in Baltimore. However, it is difficult to update with new roads and traffic. I found that my phone GPS was much more accurate at estimating arrival time and also knowing one way streets. There were times when the Garmin would tell me to turn when it would be the wrong way on a one way street.

They are a great company and I think are going up. They have a great selection of parts from great brands for your car. Easy to find what I’m looking for. They have what you need and have mostly everything in stock. Purchasing and processing are fairly easy and prices of products are good. The customer service was also great.

I had an awesome experience purchasing my GPS through Garmin. I did have some questions and therefore dealt with the customer service department. The people who handled my questions were extremely helpful and definitely aided my decision to purchase a product from the company. I absolutely love the product. I enjoy the nonslip base that keeps the device in place even when I'm turning quickly. I also really like the size and user friendly capability. Still, I wouldn't mind having a more accurate guide when it came to some routes, when the GPS would try to take me down a road that doesn't exist. However overall I am very satisfied with my purchase with Garmin.

I used Garmin GPS in the military when I needed to navigate over long miles. I've always trusted Garmin then and I use Garmin for both my car and motorcycle. It has never failed me and is so easy to update and is user-friendly. But the screen displays are not up to my liking. And the price of the global positioning systems is a little high for my taste but I still purchased the GPS because they are trustworthy. I always purchase products like this online. I usually look at reviews and comments before I make a purchase but I've never had a problem with Garmin.

I own a Garmin GPS and I like it better than Tom. I used it quite often on road trips and travelling out of the country. The thing I don't like about is that it gives you the long route. Regardless if you check the short route, avoid back roads, toll roads and bridges, it still gives long directions that still include side streets. The cellphone GPS does the same thing. I think there should be update that includes taking the highway without telling you to get off at every off ramp. I feel as though I were taking the bus at the bus depot.

I bought my first GPS online and my second GPS was purchased in person at Wal-mart. It was annoying to have to connect to a computer just to get an update for maps. Not everyone has access to a computer. There should also be a handicap friendly icon to give us all facilities equipped to handle any or some accessibility in restaurants, banks, stores, and other establishments. I have to look very hard for the handicap sign everywhere I go. The app should offer this extra service so we don't have to be looking away while driving.

Also, the prices are getting ridiculously high for just 1 feature added from the prior version. If Garmin & Tom offer another advanced equipment it should offer a bigger selection of improvements for such a price difference.

I did my research and when I went to the store I only wanted to see it physically. The size and ease of use. Besides that I didn't ask much questions and made the purchase same day. The price is a good buy and I got it price matched at the store. I use this item for work. Driving a truck it is very useful. I enjoy the live traffic updates, the picture is very clear, and 6" is more than enough viewing. I love the split screen and the bird's eye view. I rely on it quite often. I like how it shows the roads devised and which to take depending on your route. Avoiding accidents and traffic where it re-routes has been another great feature. I also use the point of interest quite a bit since I visit a lot of new places that I am not too familiar with.

It's good in quality and lasted me a couple years so far. I also bought a backup charger and honestly it's been used heavily 6 days a weeks and it's a big help. Battery life could be longer but with the charger it's not a big concern. The only complaint I had was the charging port got loose and I had to purchase a new one but besides that no complaints. I have an older unit which the battery died on me years ago but instead of changing that I just thought a larger size was a better way to go. It has worked out wonderfully and I recommend it to all my co-workers. Half of them have purchased the same one and it's been highly recommended. It's been pleasant and I'm sure I will continue using the same brand.

The Garmin store is conveniently located by my house and they have all the car parts you will need for your everyday car issues. The pricing could be more competitive and cheaper though. They also sometimes don't have what you need to fix your car and you have to wait a few days to get the part you need so you are out of luck and are not mobile until you can get the part from the store. Also, the parking lot is usually pretty dirty with litter and packaging from customers being lazy and not throwing their trash away when they work on their car in the parking lot. Nevertheless, the customer service is always great and the people are helpful in trying to get the right part for a good price in a timely manner. They go that little extra to try and help you solve your issue and they will even help you fix small issues like lights and clamps. It's always an enjoyable experience when you go in there.

I went into a local retailer and I perused a selection of GPS Navigators. The one I found most appealing for the price offered was a Garmin product. Although the salesman didn't have a personal reference, he did say the Garmin was one of the best of its kind. I am very happy with their GPS Navigator that I purchased. The only feature I do not care for on my Garmin are the voice options and the accuracy when it's time to make a turn. If there is anything I would improve about my Garmin GPS Guidance System it would be the talk back voice options. The voices are all very canny and computer like.

We purchased in the Garmin store on a Saturday afternoon. It was quite busy & raining but the service was both quick and efficient. The employees were polite, patient, very knowledgeable, and on their toes, as well. The store was clean and it had a convenient location & hours, too. However, seating for those women who are pregnant or with small children with them, older or disabled, while they are receiving assistance with their parts & products would be very helpful.

I purchased in store. Found lots of great sale items, and stocked up on windshield washer fluid. Some stores don't have what you need, but I found all the items I needed and at a great price too. Great selection and great customer service, as well. I was asked if I could be helped, and taken to the products I requested. Mostly, the products were in stock. If they were not, they were either found at another location, or ordered for me. I was treated very well, respected, greeted and helped to find what I needed.

Garmin is fairly easy to use and a good option if your car doesn't already have GPS in it. I keep this in the glove compartment in case I'm lost in an unfamiliar area. The issue that I have with it is that it's never been updated, so it's not exactly helpful in new construction and new cities. I believe that one of the major just advantages with purchasing a Garmin is that you have to constantly pay to keep it updated with the newest cities and construction. When you buy Garmin device you should offer free lifetime update. Kind of like what you get when you buy Windows nine or 10.

I purchased a Portable GPS system from the online website. I had previously researched the product and I also heard good feedback about the Garmin brand from friends and family. I found the website and the product to be of high quality and a good value. I also found it to be easy to navigate and the ordering process was both secure and convenient. The GOS system is very helpful to move between my teenage sons' cars. I am able to log into my computer and locate the cars which gives me peace of mind. I quite enjoyed my shopping experience and I am completely satisfied with the product.

The only complaint that I have with the GPS system is that the cord that plugs into the cigarette lighter for charging has begun to crack from sun exposure. This is a problem because I am unable to replace only this item as the product is no longer available. I tried to find a cord by another manufacturer but I cannot find one. I am concerned that the wires will begin to go out. Also, the product was more expensive than other competitors' products which are comparable in ability. I wish that this item would have cost less than I paid for it.

It's easy to shop over there because they always have auto parts that I need! Plus customer support over there are always very friendly and helpful! They already had that part for my car that I needed on this day! Didn't have to wait! Been there many times and never had any bad experience with them and I highly recommend them to everybody!

I purchased item online and the description of features was fairly clear and easy to understand. I thought it was the best choice at the time. It was easy to use and seemed to have all the features I was looking for. I decided to purchase it because the price was right. The item operated as I anticipated and I could even use it on flights, which I thought was pretty versatile and fun to use. All was well until I needed an update.

My Garmin was performing extremely well until recently. I've owned for years without a problem. I recently moved to Texas near Houston and needed to update the maps. After the update, my GPS was never usable again. It turned itself off and on, changed screens, and would not accept any new address. I contacted Garmin and was on the phone with a technician for over an hour. At the end we had totally cleared it and reinstalled the program. It appeared to function correctly. The next day it returned to the former condition. I recalled that a former model had failed years ago almost immediately after a map update. Highly suspicious, to say the least. I wonder if anyone else has a similar situation. Not happy with Garmin!

At the time when car GPS was first becoming popular Garmin stood out as the leader in GPS because I was familiar with the name already since my dad used some of their marine products and the GPS device was clunky compared with products of today. But at that time it certainly stood out and offered great navigation features. We bought it at a Best Buy where my wife and I were able to actually see and touch the navigation unit but we ultimately purchased from an online retailer resulting in a savings of nearly 20% compared to in store.

I received my Garmin Vivosmart HR for Christmas after suffering a mild heart attack in September. I've been very happy with it and the mobile app that comes with it, with only a couple exceptions. When I'm doing an outdoor bike ride, it can take several minutes before the GPS locks in and I can start my ride. That gets frustrating. Also, strange as it may seem, the wristband is very difficult to get fastened. And finally, the heart rate seems to be understated to me most of the time. Certainly when I compare to a manual count. But overall I really enjoy the device. It stores a lot of information, and it is smart enough to tell that I'm doing "high-intensity" exercise even if I don't tell it first. It's one of my happiest acquisitions in the past couple years.

The product was the most advanced that you could get at the time. It had all of the features I wanted it to have and for the two years that I used it, it was very reliable. The website was ok and it was a good online ordering experience. I used the product a lot then but I worry now that it isn't relevant. It doesn't update and it's basically obsolete with the advent of more advanced technology on phones. I'm not sure if there is a more modern version now, but I think you can just do Google maps.

I purchased a Garmin GPS and the navigational system is accurate and has really helped me to navigate given my poor sense of direction. I went to Best Buy and purchased the product but I had done my research online before. After reading product descriptions and how people viewed them, it was easy to pick this system. The company is very professional and their equipment works well. If I were to change one thing it would just be that the GPS was able to give me alternate routes based on live traffic.

I love that Garmin is easy to use. It has up to date maps and traffic conditions. The favorite feature updates continuously. The screen is easy to read and sensitive to the touch. The icon selection has many pleasing choices. I would recommend it to anyone looking to purchase a GPS unit.

Garmin has a good selection. I ordered online and I don't have to go anywhere to get the product. They got it to me promptly. However, the shipping was a bit expensive. I dislike that the the device can be transferred to multiple vehicles and saves old trips. Product could be cheaper. There are comparable apps to download on my phone. I also don't like that it has a battery, but I like that it makes trips easy. I don't have to preplan other than the time needed. I can usually find anything without much trouble. Device can be hidden in glove box and I'm able to trust the device.

I like that the features were dependable, denotes a quality of durability and longevity. Customer service was very helpful in clarifying all questions. I call the actual company to order products. Satisfactory was the overall outcome. A definite recommendation to family and friends.

I bought Garmin at the store. They had a wide selection of different GPS systems and the employees there were very helpful giving me advice on which one to choose. However, there was a problem with the input cable when I bought it so I went to the store and they replaced it right away. The base of the GPS is not as heavy as I would like to be because it tends to move around on the dashboard when in motion so I have to put some tape on the bottom to prevent it from sliding but I really like the size of the GPS display and the picture clarity. The audible tones are easy to hear and the button are comfortable to use. The navigation updates very frequently so there is no delay when driving.

The virb action camera is one of the greatest pieces of equipment I have ever purchased. However, I would change the price to be more affordable but it is worth every penny. I like to buy things in store, but I find it difficult to find all of Garmin products widely distributed. So, I ordered online. Other than that, I would recommend that everybody go out and buy one.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Founded in 1989, Garmin is an American electronics innovation and distribution company headquartered in Switzerland. Formerly known as ProNav, Garmin is best known for its portable vehicle navigation systems but has expanded its product offerings to include wearable GPS technology, aviation and marine navigation and more.

• Portable options: Garmin is an industry leader in portable GPS systems for consumer vehicles. It offers several options at various price points. Display screens vary between 5 and 7 inches and include features such as lifetime map updates, live traffic displays, built-in dash cameras, high definition display and more.
  • In-dash options: Unlike other major navigation companies, Garmin’s in-dash navigation systems are compatible with a broad range of vehicle makes, including Suzuki, Honda, Volkswagen, Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Toyota and more.
  • Cameras: While Garmin is best known for its GPS systems, it also specializes in vehicle cameras to increase safety on the road. Its cameras come with various features depending on the model you choose, including dash cameras that record in high definition and offer driver awareness warnings as well as backup cameras that enhance rear visibility. It also offers the Garmin babyCam, which allows drivers to monitor their children on the navigation display screen.
  • Fleet monitoring: Garmin also offers fleet management devices for customers who own a fleet of vehicles. The in-vehicle devices allow drivers and dispatchers to improve customer service and worker efficiency by combining the navigating power of a traditional GPS with the communication and scheduling capabilities of a mobile device.
  • Customer service: Garmin’s devices are sold at many major retailers and dealers as well as on their website, but all Garmin devices are warranted. Customers can contact Garmin customer service representatives through the website or search an expansive Frequently Asked Questions section to get help troubleshooting their devices.
  • Best for drivers who need a navigation system, especially parents of young children, and vehicle fleet owners.

Compare Auto and Truck Accessories