Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
3.65/5

Looking for auto and truck accessories?

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Looking for auto and truck accessories?

209 Garmin Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 5, 2019

I have had to call Garmin with issues with my Forerunner a couple times now. Both times, I had the pleasure of speaking with Jerry, who was so helpful, patient, and thorough-- made sure all my requests were taken care of completely. I would rate my experiences with Garmin Customer Service far superior to customer support I usually receive with other companies. Will definitely continue to support their business, as I felt treated like an individual instead of a consumer. Great job!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

Bought an EDGE 810 bike computer 3 years ago. Great help getting it set up and downloading courses. Recently had the ANT+ channel fail. Called GARMIN support. Four (4) days later, I have in my hands a refurbished unit, and their support in reconfiguring, synchronizing my sensors and custom courses. Wish the companies from my other products (Apple for example), had this level of support.

Get expert buying tips about Auto and Truck Accessories delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I have had a Garmin for at least 110 years. I got my second one about a year and a half ago. I had a problem with the newer unit. The socket piece for the ball & socket joint of the windshield mount broke and didn't hold the unit securely. I expected to have to buy a new one, and searched the Garmin website. I couldn't find it, so I started a chat session. The tech asked me for the serial number of my unit, and told me where to look for it. I gave it to him and he said that they would send a new one, FREE. I got it in about a week. It was exactly what I needed. I would say that it pays to register your device.

Original review: July 29, 2019

My 2555LMT nüvi is crapping out. So I needed to verify the GPS issue of a partial screen blackout was a hardware problem, forcing me to buy a new device, or go with my mobile phone. Garmin offered me a discount on a new device, which I took as a replacement for my Nuvi 2555. Made my order and received an order confirmation promptly. Then trouble began.

Garmin messed up my billing address, apparently not using the information I supplied on my order. If credit card address does not match billing address, typically the order is cancelled or at minimum, delayed. I followed online directions to change or cancel my order. BUT, the steps I followed led me to a customer support page. I followed a different set of steps to correct my order address problem. I found my path to get customer support stymied by the endless loop I found myself in. Each answer led me back to same initial page and round and round I went trying to figure out how to reach customer support to change my billing address. The "chat line" was booked up and wait time for a response was hours, up to two days!

Email submissions would be responded to in 5 to 8 working days! So, I had to call device support again. My wait time was @ 15 minutes. Once I was on the phone with customer support, it took another 55 minutes to have the support guy to find the order, cancel my first order, and then create a 2nd order with the corrected billing address. My "support" couldn't make any alterations/corrections to my pending order. He couldn't utilize any part of my account info on the new order, so I had to provide shipping and payment info, again. Over 1.5 hours of my time trying to order a new device (which I might not even need if I chose to use my mobile phone (Lack of coverage in remote areas is my main concern with relying on my phone). After today's experience I can understand why Garmin devices business is crashing. Improvements are needed quickly if Garmin plans to compete with mobile phones and other competitors. KM from NC.

Original review: June 28, 2019

I'm an experienced technology professional. And I was shocked at the lack of quality control in the Garmin product. The software of the device is riddled with bugs, and the companion software for the Mac and the iPhone is even worse. Garmin's bugs are not isolated, they are systemic - indicative of a company that does not care. Terrible software. Go buy something else.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Garmin?

Original review: June 21, 2019

I have uploaded my Garmin before and now I tried to upload it this time and Garmin want to get inside of your computer. I don't want no company to get inside my computer. Garmin wants to find out about people information.

Original review: June 3, 2019

I have two vehicles, one has a TomTom GPS, the other has a Garmin. The TomTom is entirely logically laid out. When you want to go somewhere, you start typing the town or city, type-ahead starts narrowing down possibilities. You pick your town, then it presents you with the streets. It has removed all streets not in that town, so when you start typing the name of the street, it instantly proposes you the one you want. Then street address and GO. Easy.

The Garmin is designed backwards for an unknown reason. Instead of asking the name of the town, it starts off asking for the street address. That means it cannot narrow down the list of streets. So then you put in the street name, and it goes off and starts a search in Ontario, Quebec, and New York. It does not ask you for the name of the town. It comes back with hundreds of hits in no discernible order. The top one is 467 KM away, the next one is 231. The third one is 420 KM away, they aren't even sorted by distance. The one I want, which is only 80 KM from where I am, is nowhere to be found.

Then there is the problem of actual places. On the TomTom, if I want to drive to McNabb Arena, I type "McNabb Arena". It finds it and takes me directly there. The Garmin searches in Ontario, Quebec, and NY and comes back empty. Or the best one, I needed to pick up my father at the Ottawa Bus Terminal, so I type in "Ottawa Bus" on the TomTom, and boom, the terminal is the top hit. On the Garmin? It suggests "Ottawa Business Center" as the only hit. So I try "Ottawa Bus Terminal", no hits, "Bus", many hits but all pertaining to Business, etc. Finally I just ended up using my phone. I have endless anecdotes about the Garmin's inability to get me anywhere, but suffice it to say that it is next to useless as a GPS.

Original review: May 23, 2019

We purchased the unit about 4 or 5 years ago and it works great. We really like it, but we had never updated it and because of the fact that roads and routes are constantly changing I decided to update it, so when I tried to download the updates onto my computer it said some of the drivers were corrupted and so after chatting for a while they took my name and number and said tech support would call me after giving the Indian sounding guy who's name was Nic **, (I don't think so) control of my computer who wanted change me 99 dollars to repair my computer. I told him no thank you, and hung up the phone. Now it's possible that my computer needs work but give me a break. I would expect someone reputable to advise me to get my computer repaired and try it again. Something should be done about this because I don't think I'm the only one this has happened to.

Original review: May 13, 2019

I purchased a Garmin City Navigator map from a reputable retailer. I did not purchase it from Garmin or from a fly by night gray market company. I put it in my Garmin Nuvi and went to setting like I always do to check the box beside the map to activate it and the map from the micro SD slot was not there. To check my device I put another micro SD map in and it showed up so the 1st Garmin City Navigator map was clearly defective.

I phoned Garmin and they would not stand behind their map product because it was not purchased from them. REALLY!!! As I purchased it early in the fall for a spring Europe trip, and the defect was not discovered until months later. I phoned Garmin and not the store. Warranty is the manufacturer's issue and not the store's. Anyhow Garmin would not replace the product nor give a credit in case one is stupid enough to buy another Garmin Product. GARMIN NEEDS TO STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS no matter who sells them.

Original review: April 29, 2019

This company pisses me off day after day. I have had better assistance with my phone's Google Maps than using a $150 Garmin DriveSmart 51 LMT-S device designed for navigation. The Garmin would take me on the WORST possible routes, and now I have an error message preventing me from being able to use it. Trying to get assistance is impossible, and the CHAT representative responded to my question with cancelling the CHAT and now I have to seek alternative methods to get my GARMIN to just operate normally again. ** this company's terrible products - reminds me of Apple...

Garmin expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1989, Garmin is an American electronics innovation and distribution company headquartered in Switzerland. Formerly known as ProNav, Garmin is best known for its portable vehicle navigation systems but has expanded its product offerings to include wearable GPS technology, aviation and marine navigation and more.

• Portable options: Garmin is an industry leader in portable GPS systems for consumer vehicles. It offers several options at various price points. Display screens vary between 5 and 7 inches and include features such as lifetime map updates, live traffic displays, built-in dash cameras, high definition display and more.

• In-dash options: Unlike other major navigation companies, Garmin’s in-dash navigation systems are compatible with a broad range of vehicle makes, including Suzuki, Honda, Volkswagen, Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Toyota and more.

• Cameras: While Garmin is best known for its GPS systems, it also specializes in vehicle cameras to increase safety on the road. Its cameras come with various features depending on the model you choose, including dash cameras that record in high definition and offer driver awareness warnings as well as backup cameras that enhance rear visibility. It also offers the Garmin babyCam, which allows drivers to monitor their children on the navigation display screen.

• Fleet monitoring: Garmin also offers fleet management devices for customers who own a fleet of vehicles. The in-vehicle devices allow drivers and dispatchers to improve customer service and worker efficiency by combining the navigating power of a traditional GPS with the communication and scheduling capabilities of a mobile device.

• Customer service: Garmin’s devices are sold at many major retailers and dealers as well as on their website, but all Garmin devices are warranted. Customers can contact Garmin customer service representatives through the website or search an expansive Frequently Asked Questions section to get help troubleshooting their devices.

• Best for: drivers who need a navigation system, especially parents of young children, and vehicle fleet owners.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs