Garmin

Compare Auto and Truck Accessories

Research top Auto and Truck Accessories recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I bought this Garmin Nuvi 2589 from a dealer here in Canada. After getting the product I updated and installed it in the vehicle. I noticed that the max speed limit did not come up anymore as it has with both of the older models I have; I called Garmin and after talking with them they said that's just too bad and refused to give me my money back; So just a warning for people out there of the Caveat Emptor policy that Garmin has now. I will be let as many people as possible know of your practices.

100% of the time when I would modify a route that Garmin gave me, I could never add any stops. If I did, the route would take me clear back to the beginning. I might have been 2 hours from my location but if I added a fuel stop which was on my active route, it would tell me I had 16 hours or some crazy number because it routed me back to my original destination. After 4 calls to customer service and them basically wanting me to do their job for them by taking screen shots and providing countless other details, I gave up.

Then, this week, the instructions cost me $5000 and almost my job as they guided me into a bridge that was too low for my truck. Yes, it was my fault for following their instructions. It was dark, there was traffic... I trusted them and now I am having to pay my employer $5000. When I complained, again, I had to answer countless questions about my map and trip. All of which, they should have tried to figure out. I am done with Garmin!!! Buyer beware!

I am from Canada and bought this unit about 3 years ago. Biggest let down is that Maps, at least in Canada, Ontario, do not update. A major street that was built 5 years ago in a major city, is still not on the map after the latest map update. Second let down, map detour is horrible. It is so complicated that if caught in traffic might as well just stay in traffic because trying to figure it out on the go might cause an accident or at the very least give you a ticket for distracted driving. I will never again buy Garmin that is for sure.

Garmin thinks it's perfectly ok to stop supporting its older devices. I have a Nuvi 270 (that works perfectly) that I'll have to donate to charity because it's not detected by my PC --- so I can't do any updates. I also have an eTrex Vista HCx that's also not detected by my PC --- so now I can't do any updates on IT, either! When I call Garmin Product Support, their excuse is: the device is 8 years old, so Garmin no longer chooses to support it. Their consolation is: I can turn in the device for a 20% discount on a new Garmin device. So what? I can buy their GPSs a lot cheaper (than that discounted price) on Amazon, eBay, etc. What a TOTAL RIP-OFF! Up yours, Garmin!

Garmin warranty is worthless. I purchased the NUVI 2589LMT in August of 2016. I purchased this unit solely because of it's extra features. No complaints about how the unit worked. It did it's job very well. Last week while traveling I used the unit to find local restaurants while I sitting in a parking lot when we spotted a Golden Corral close by. I put the unit back in the center console where I normally kept it when not in use. After eating my grandson wanted to go to the Dunkin Donut close by. When we arrive there the Dunkin Donut was closed.

I retrieved the GPS out of the console to search for another Dunkin Donut. When I cut the GPS on the arrow on the map kept moving around on the screen and the GPS would not respond to my touch. I handed the GPS to my wife sitting in the back seat and she discovered that the screen on the GPS was cracked, when she told me that I automatically knew that cracked screen interrupted the touch feature of unit.

After returning home and reviewing my warranty information which Garmin explicitly states that is cover in materials used in the manufacturing of their units. When I contacted Garmin without any questions being ask I was told they do not cover cracked screens. I didn't accept this answer and complained that the materials used in this unit was inferior, stating that simply putting the GPS in console should not have caused the screen to crack. I realize they did believe me, they probably thought I had actually dropped the unit causing it to crack. That wasn't the case at all. It cracked just as I said and I certainly didn't appreciate my integrity being questioned. First I was told they was repair the unit for $89.00 which I declined. I received an email from the agent I spoke with about the repair cost.

I called again and spoke with a different agent and same line no warranty coverage on cracked screens. However, this agent did make a difference offer stating they would replace my GPS with a refurbished unit for $45.00. This was a little better than $89.00 offer the first time. So I decided to go with it. In the meantime I was able to get the unit to work using the Voice Command feature which was one of the reason I purchased this specific unit, however the touch will respond to touch on the right side of the screen only. So in essence my unit is probably 75% usable. I have decided to just keep it and hopefully it will continue to work in its current capacity.

The lesson I learned is the Garmin manufacturing does not stand behind their product. I was cut off at the being of the call and no consideration was ever given to me. I am sure that this one unit which I paid just a little less than $200.00 for would have only been a "drop in the bucket" for Garmin to replace this unit. Instead they tried to extort more money from me by offering me a deal. The other thing I learned was even if they were to honor their warranty I would have received a refurbished unit, not the one I sent in or even a new replacement unit. Also, I learned from the second call I made that the first offer to "repair" my unit, I would have been sent a refurbished unit instead not my original unit I sent in for repairs. Garmin is dishonest and I will not buy or recommend their product to anyone.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Garmin?

Brand new unit. Had to charge it just to switch on because the internal battery was flat. That took a while with the vehicle ignition turned on while it charged. Then the unit tells me "no maps". No manual with unit? No mention the unit doesn't come standard with maps? Found complaints site and this helped. That took me a long time to find a site to download express. most sites never started the download. Then it must have been over an hour or more to get express loaded and then maps. What do you do if you don't have a PC? It's working now.

Updated on 02/19/2017: I eventually got the Garmin to operate correctly. I couldn't get the voice to work no matter what I tried, but eventually found the default voice doesn't work. Switched to one of the other voices and its now 100%. Twice now going to different destinations the voice stated destination on your right, but both times it was on my left. I did download the latest maps. I stand to correction but I seem to remember looking at the screen and the map did show destination on the left? Is it better to use than TomTom, in many respects it is. The mounting is definitely better. Maps in one destination was wrong. A high wall was built over 2 years back sealing off further progress in a secondary road. The unit kept bringing me back to the dead-end.

Device error message. I paid $240 for Garmin GPS nuvi model 2589 over a year ago. Six months ago I started getting a message on screen telling me that the power cable was not compatible with the traffic device. I contacted Garmin, returned the GPS. They sent a replacement and still got the same message on screen. I not pleased with this product.

Since I got the Nuvi 2589 it's been nothing but problems. I live in New Orleans. Every time I enter a start & end location, the Garmin either starts in Denver Co, or goes from New Orleans, thru Denver, and back to New Orleans. I wanted to drive across town here in New Orleans. The Nuvi 2589 plotted a course south of New Orleans to Dallas Tx, then to Denver, then to Kansas City and then back to New Orleans. Support has been unable to help me with this. It also generally plots the location many miles from where it actually is.

The Nuvi device itself is constantly showing the message that I need to update the maps, then tells me there is not enough internal memory for the download. I put a 64 Gb micro card in the slot, and STILL got the message there is not enough internal memory for the download. And, if that's not bad enough, the Garmin Express Software opens multiple browser windows and tries to download updates CONSTANTLY, causing serious performance issues with my PC. Support did nothing to assist me. They said if I pay to ship it back they'll look at it, but at my expense. IT'S UNDER WARRANTY!!! GOODBYE GARMIN... HELLO TOMTOM.

When you buy a program or data online, you should be able to download straight away, after making the transaction, right? WRONG!!! With Garmin, after paying for my map, it's been one week already without the download link. Apparently the order status is still "processing". Which company on the world takes so long to do an online transaction for a simple digital buy/sell operation? I hate this company, and the only reason I had to download the map is because my car navigation system unfortunately uses Garmin. Absolutely ridiculous. I tell you one thing. Driving with a map from 2013 is dangerous. If I had an accident because of this outdated map (after already paid for the 2017 map), my insurance company would be happy to handle the case.

I had an old off-road Garmin and the internal battery died. I tried to get it replaced but the battery cost as much as a new outdoor/off-road unit. So I bought the Montana 650T because it came with the pre-loaded topical maps. I also have an old Nuvi 200W that I use for getting around town and traveling the highways. I've been happy with the Nuvi 200W except it doesn't give me local posted speed limits. The new Nuvis have that feature and I like that. My problem is with the Garmin Montana 650T. There is a street map software available that I bought so I could leave my old Nuvi home and have a two in one unit, an off-road unit for the trails and a city street unit all in one. I was excited after buying the street map software from Garmin.

Unfortunately, I found out that the street map software does not have any way to save your Favorite Contacts and addresses. You have to enter your contact as a Way Point and then go back into the saved Way Point and Edit it with the Name of your Address (only you can't permanently save a Way Point). I spent hours and hours getting all my contacts into this new unit. I went on a trip that took me through seven states. It was a good thing that I took my old Nuvi 200W with me as a back-up because this Montana 650T was sending me off the freeway and onto city streets along the way. After calling Garmin and making some minor adjustments it worked better but I was skeptical. So I set up my old Nuvi 200W next to the new Montana 650T.

Now I was getting conflicting directions like take next exit, the Nuvi said turn left and the Montana 650T would say turn right. At this point I depended on the Nuvi 200W to get me to my destinations. Now I did like the feature of the posted speed limits that the Montana 650T provided. Because I knew where I was going on the way home, I went to my saved Way Points to get an address in the Montana 650T and all my Saved Contacts in Way Points were gone, they magically disappeared. When I got back home, I called Garmin to discuss this problem of losing Way Points and suggested that they add Favorites in their street map software to save our important contacts and addresses because they, Garmin, are the experts when writing the programs for the GPS.

I was told that they would never add a Favorites section to the Montana 650T street maps and I would guess that means all Garmins that are made for outdoor and off-road use. I expressed my disappointment and our conversation was cut short except for the representative telling me to go onto Garmin's website and save my contact information into one of their programs called Base Camp. Why do they need my contact information on their web site? So I can easily retrieve my information when I mistakenly delete it. Since the Garmin representative gave me his answer and he didn't seem to care much about my needs he was quick to end our conversation. I would have been better off buying two units, a less expensive outdoor off-road GPS, a new street map Nuvi and probably saved myself some money and got what I wanted in a GPS. Had I only known beforehand.

I recently bought a Garmin nüvi 2757LM, influenced both by online reviews and by Amazon reviews. This was purchased specifically for a trip to Europe, Germany, Austria, and Italy. Because I've had trouble in the past with rental car GPS units, I wanted one I was familiar with and know how to use. When it came, I did the online update, and used it going to work. I even bought a extra memory card for it. However, when I tried to use it in Europe, I found the maps to be close to useless. Huge complicated clover leafs at major highway crossings not there. Many side roads were also not there. The Garmin was completely useless once you got off the highway. Fortunately, someone had a Google Map App and saved us. I wrote a negative review at Amazon which was not posted. Therefore I presume other less than glowing reviews are also not posted, which in turn misleads customers. Who's more to blame here, Garmin or Amazon?

My Garmin Nuvi was working fine until I updated maps a few months ago. Since the update, while I'm using the GPS to direct me, the same notification keeps popping up on the screen every 1 to two minutes. This very annoying notification reads "A file required for traffic services is missing. Contact Garmin product support at www.garmin.com/support".

Every time this message pops up it blocks my view of my map which I very much need to see. So, I tap OK to get rid of the message then 1 to 2 minutes later there is the same notification blocking my screen. Very, very annoying not to mention dangerous to have to take eyes off the road to tap the little OK button on the screen while driving! This is just ridiculous. How can I resolve this very annoying issue? I do not want or need to subscribe to traffic services Garmin Industries!

Garmin nuvi 1490 LMT. This car navigation unit has been very satisfactory: my only problem was that on my first update of the included lifetime maps, I needed to buy and install a micro SD card because the internal memory is too small. Since then updates have never been a problem. I have used it for many trips down the east coast of the USA and its traffic alerts have saved me numerous delays. Only once have I been directed to a road that did not exist (in Winchester VA). Only once did I lose the GPS signal (under bridges in New York City). I would not start a trip without it. If I get another unit, it will be a Garmin. I bought this unit from Costco in April 2012. Its retail price was $140.

I purchased the Vivosmart fitness device at the end of March. I liked the sleek design and the comfort of wearing it while working out. The product is designed to track swimming as well as various other activities. I wore it for a leisure swim in shallow pool water on 2 occasions. Slowly the device was becoming more and more difficult to read. I did not wear it swimming or in the shower since noticing that the display was shrinking. Now, it is October and I can no longer even read the time on the device. We attempted to contact Garmin while the device was still under the 90 day warranty. We were unsuccessful. They were supposed to send us a number to use when returning the device. Despite several attempts, we have not heard back from them. Checking customer support, the device can now be repaired (it is out of warranty) for $79.00. Are you kidding??!! I will just buy a new Fitbit.

Garmin makes some nice GPS devices but they don't appear to be very responsive to customer complaints and they don't make some options customer configurable. Case in point, my GPS Nuvi 68LM, has an annoying audible alert every time we approach a school. While some may find that to be a nice feature, I don't but there is no way to turn it off. By now you would think that customer choice on options would be standard for just about any electronic device.

Updating maps on a Garmin is a mess, they only support an obsolete browser (I.E.). I got by that after wasting half an hour with tech support, but the updated map I downloaded (for North America) broke the unit. That partly ruined a holiday with the routing messing up constantly and it constantly having to be rebooted (wonderful when driving through strange cities and it has taken you on absurd routes through the 'worst sections' of town). Finally after multiple reinstalls and time with tech support it started working again. Then the big mess, I went to the U.K and paid $100 for the U.K. maps. Nothing worked after that install, it could not even find satellites in an open field let alone route me anywhere. Their tech support does not work weekends and I was not going half way across a strange (to me) country without GPS. I was fed up and got a phone application that works.

They told me there is no possibility of a refund, they said simply they would help me fix it. I asked how I can fix something I cannot use here in North America. Silence from tech support in reply. I wasted most of $200 and caused significant harm to 2 holidays. I will never use a Garmin again, they used to make a decent GPS but they are a broken product these days both in function and customer support. BTW I'm not complaining about tech support, they were helpful but they are dealing with a deeply flawed product and support rules that are little short of contempt for the customer.

I have attempted on several occasions to download Canada street maps to this cycling computer with absolutely no luck. The download site is not user friendly and I had to backtrack a number of times to get to checkout. The address info would not let me plug in my Province without re-setting the entire form and I was then advised that Chrome would not support the download. Shortly thereafter, I found that I apparently could not obtain the Canada maps in Canada. I generally find Garmin product instructions to be obtuse and difficult and I will now shop for another brand.

I bought this unit to replace an older TomTom unit that I had. It has worked OK around town. However, we are just planning a trip back to the midwest, so I tried updating the maps. The unit just shuts itself off in the middle of the update. Looking on the internet, I found this is a common problem with no real workaround. Then, to my surprise, this Garmin unit couldn't find the town I was headed for and since, according to its own information, there is no town there, it couldn't even find the cross streets for the town. I grabbed my old TomTom unit (it's about 10 years old and I never purchased any map upgrades) and it found the town right away. I'm heading out to buy a new TomTom and this Garmin is heading for the garbage can. It is USELESS!!

I have tried for hours to download maps I purchased from Garmin. Their software doesn't work with Microsoft Edge, so I needed to try to find/use Internet Explorer. Total disaster, even after I followed all the hacks they listed on their site and spent 20 minutes online with tech support. Their recommendation was to find a Mac and use that! I actually did that and everything worked, except the file would ALWAYS bomb out at 50%, reset to zero and not provide any error messages or feedback to the user.

Normally, Garmin is great. In this case, this is the worst customer experience I've had with any software/hardware provider. Don't waste your money on the eTrec equipment. If you can't get maps for a handheld GPS intended to cross country navigation, why waste the time and money? Get lost in the woods. You'll have more fun.

Years ago, I had one of the first Garmin running watches and was very satisfied with it. Within the last year, I bought a Garmin Forerunner 25, and it is horrible. I have had difficulty with it off and on since I bought it, usually with syncing. My most recent problem with syncing is that I kept getting an error message that it couldn't sync my activity to Garmin Connect. I was on my PC, so I tried syncing to my Android. That said the sync was successful, but it wasn't. I was unable to sync later activities until I deleted the file from today, which is the most critical workout I have done all summer. I strongly recommend that you not buy a Garmin Forerunner 25.

I had two Garmin Nuvi 2797LM. One feature that I use frequently is the Find Place under the Voice Command application. One of my Nuvi 2797 was crushed so I replaced it. I was shocked to find that my new one no longer allowed the Find Place option to function "This Feature is not available for the United States in American English". I updated my older Garmin Nuvi 2797LM and the feature still works on it. My guess is that Garmin wasted resources on adding Australian English "Garmin Real Directions" & British English "Garmin Real Directions" in male and female format for a total of 4 new sets. If it were possible I would clone the features for the Voice Location Finder and dump the two new "Garmin Real Directions". It already had one "Garmin Real Directions" so I don't need the other 4.

In the beginning Garmin was great, it was the best you could buy. Well, now it's useless. I have three Garmin devices, my first one carried maps for the whole western world. I even gave directions to my taxi driver whenever I visited the United States. Now, my latest device has so many pretty pictures of motorway junctions that the best my maps can cover is part of Central Europe. The memory is too small and any memory upgrades fall flat on their face. Garmin, be practical, give people maps, not pretty pictures.

I recently traveled through Canada and Italy. I contacted Garmin before the trip and purchased for $160.00 upgrades for these areas. I got to both areas, and neither of them worked. I contacted Garmin from the road and they were of little or no help---they claimed I either installed it wrong, or didn't know what I was doing (nothing was their fault). They said to send it back---which was ridiculous since I was on the road in Northern Italy. That was the extent of their help. I resorted to my little screen Apple I-phone and it worked! When I got home, I complained to Garmin customer service and they didn't even respond. And, of course, never a mention of a refund or credit. My advice: my techie wife tells me there are much better alternatives to Garmin and hopefully have some adequate customer service (unlike Garmin).

I believe it is the connection that keeps going in and out. It shuts off while I'm driving. It's the SAME problem with every damn Garmin I've ever owned. I'm sure it won't happen again because it will be one cold day in hell before I buy anything with the name Garmin on it.

I bought a Vivoactive to use for my heart rate training for my first Half Iron Man race. I entered my heart rates for both my running and cycling and everything was going along fine until Garmin decided to do an update to Connect Mobile that did away with the heart rate for the cycling. I emailed them with little response back so I decided to call. I was very disappointed with the answer I received. The tech actually tested the device while on a bike and called me back stating that yes the option was no longer there.

He then proceeded to tell me that if I look at my manual there is a small disclaimer stating that I may not always have all the options that I currently have. He stated he would ask tech support about the possibility of adding this feature back but there was no guarantee. So basically I have a watch that is not going to be of any use on my cycling. I don't understand why it would be so difficult to just add the feature back. This is one disappointed Garmin user.

Bought a dashboard GPS with lifetime maps... Lifetime maps cost as much as the GPS... Discontinued that style of update. So I was stuck with a GPS that would not update which I paid for... I called and was told "I would have to buy another GPS that would upgrade." Plus I would have to buy the upgrade maps again... I asked for a refund and was told they would give me 10 % off a new product... Don't buy Garmin. They got you. They got me!!!

The IDEA of it is great. Does it work as well as they sell you on? If you are a HUGE business, sure it might, but not without a lot of work to decipher all their graphs, skim through activity one grueling minute at a time, and click on hundreds to thousands of bubbles INDIVIDUALLY to engage with people. If you are a small company, forget it. This service will be a complete waste of money. Not to mention they will say whatever they need to to trick you into a contract and then bind you to it for an entire year. I dislike a lot. I dislike that they don't send invoices at all before you are charged and if you try to access invoices in your account, don't worry you can't because they don't exist there.

I dislike that we were told we had a 30-day no-contract trial that wasn't even long enough to build up enough useful data to see if it was even worth the $300/mo they charge. Not only that, we are such a small company with so low of mentions it has been COMPLETELY useless. They don't care. They just want your money. And because we emailed them a few days after the 30-day trial (including weekends) they "talked to their lawyers" and "the lawyers" just couldn't let us out of the contract. How desperate are they that they need our $300/mo if they have such large companies on board that they brag about on their website?

I also dislike how there is no useful way to engage with Instagram. If you have 1,000 bubbles of engagement you have to click them all individually and change the color to know what you have even checked or not checked. It is tedious, time-consuming, and a complete waste of time. I don't even know how large companies manage this because of how much work it is.

Monitors are hard to set up. You have to specify and narrow down SO much just to tailor it to what you need. You can't be too broad, but you can't be too specific. They will ask to set up calls all day to waste your time just telling you all the work you need to do to get it right. Not resolving any business issues, managing NUVI is actually MORE work than anything. ZERO benefits. We are too small of a company and it is completely useless. They didn't have any sympathy for our less than 100 mentions a day and have bound us to the contract anyway. Cell phone providers don't even lock you into contracts anymore. I think they are extremely desperate for money.

Why would you pay such a high price for Garmin maps? These are so very expensive. I already had the Garmin and wanted maps for Europe. I just paid $69.99 to add "Europe NT: UK and Ireland" maps to my Garmin Nuvi. Foolishly I didn't check the 'coverage' and apparently Europe NT doesn't mean you get the maps for Europe. You only get the maps for UK and Ireland and not the rest Europe too. Are you kidding me?

To be honest, I would want maps for the whole of the frickin' world for $70. You can get the WHOLE WORLD FOR FREE ON GOOGLE MAPS on my iPhone people at Garmin!! Your maps are not that spectacularly good to warrant the price. I am so angry with myself for being so stupid to think Garmin want to give you value for money and keep you happy as a customer. They do not. It's a A RIP OFF!! Maybe I should just buy a suction holder for the car windscreen and use Google maps to navigate around Europe or the rest of the world for that matter.

I bought a Garmin Vivofit 2 (wings for life). I set it up, downloaded the connect program on my phone. I wanted it because of the sleep mode. It tells you how long you slept and how hard, soft, movement etc... I was interested in seeing how I slept so I was so excited when I got my Garmin in the mail. Well let me tell you don't buy this thing. In my opinion it's a complete ripoff. I wore it the first night, woke up the next morning to see what it read how I slept and it was completely blank, so I took it off and lay it on my dresser.

I worked the weekend and called Garmin on the following Monday. Before I called I looked on the Garmin sleep mode and it gave me readings of how many hours I slept from Thurs to Mon. (I only got this thing on Friday so how did it know how I slept on Thurs?) So when I called Garmin Monday after 9 am, I began to explain to the rep that I would like to return my Garmin and she was very rude and quick to the point of, "I'll email you the address to return it." She also told me, "You have to wear the Garmin 24 hours a day for it to work properly." I work a 12-hour shift job and we can not wear watches/rings. I think this company should get checked out by the Better Business Bureau.

I have a Garmin Vivofit with hrm. I use it for my martial art exercises. One day the program (Garmin Connect) decides to split my exercises into pieces and not as one. I email the company and the only response I took was: "We'd love to hear about your recent experience with our Customer Care Team. Please spare us a minute to tell us your thoughts on the contact you had. Click here to get started The information you give us will help us #BeatYesterday! Thanks for your time. The Customer Care Team." Does this sounds to you as a response to my query? Don't think so... In other words they never respond and they had the attitude to answer automatically - worst company ever.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Founded in 1989, Garmin is an American electronics innovation and distribution company headquartered in Switzerland. Formerly known as ProNav, Garmin is best known for its portable vehicle navigation systems but has expanded its product offerings to include wearable GPS technology, aviation and marine navigation and more.

• Portable options: Garmin is an industry leader in portable GPS systems for consumer vehicles. It offers several options at various price points. Display screens vary between 5 and 7 inches and include features such as lifetime map updates, live traffic displays, built-in dash cameras, high definition display and more.
  • In-dash options: Unlike other major navigation companies, Garmin’s in-dash navigation systems are compatible with a broad range of vehicle makes, including Suzuki, Honda, Volkswagen, Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Toyota and more.
  • Cameras: While Garmin is best known for its GPS systems, it also specializes in vehicle cameras to increase safety on the road. Its cameras come with various features depending on the model you choose, including dash cameras that record in high definition and offer driver awareness warnings as well as backup cameras that enhance rear visibility. It also offers the Garmin babyCam, which allows drivers to monitor their children on the navigation display screen.
  • Fleet monitoring: Garmin also offers fleet management devices for customers who own a fleet of vehicles. The in-vehicle devices allow drivers and dispatchers to improve customer service and worker efficiency by combining the navigating power of a traditional GPS with the communication and scheduling capabilities of a mobile device.
  • Customer service: Garmin’s devices are sold at many major retailers and dealers as well as on their website, but all Garmin devices are warranted. Customers can contact Garmin customer service representatives through the website or search an expansive Frequently Asked Questions section to get help troubleshooting their devices.
  • Best for drivers who need a navigation system, especially parents of young children, and vehicle fleet owners.

Compare Auto and Truck Accessories