3.9/5 (176 ratings)

About Garmin

Garmin Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Garmin?

Original review: Jan. 20, 2023

Received a faulty product, index 2s scale. After 3 hours of chat and phone chat I learned I had a faulty bluetooth chip. I was told a new one would be next day delivered, product guy apologized for the inconvenience, and said I could return the faulty one anytime because this was brand new and it's a Garmin product issue. Following day, I checked on the shipment status. To my frustration and shock, new one was never shipped, was told by rep that the faulty scale needs to be returned first. Product guy said the exact opposite. I asked this specific question because I knew I couldn't get to a UPS place until the following week. He reassured me and even said - 'your new scale will be next day delivered. The broken one can be returned anytime.' He informed me 'the Ups return slip is valid a month, but I can request another if a month goes by.'

Additionally, when I checked on the status of the shipment of the new scale, I was told I need to pay 220$ to send a new scale, AND the old one needs to be received first. This company is unethical, products suck, the communication is backwards, customer service is lost. Beware - unless you don't mind being d*cked around. I bought the scale and watch together. I am now returning both for pure principal of the horrid customer service. (the watch might be great, but I will never know). I will never buy from Garmin again, and will do whatever I can to share this horrible experience. What a mess - so much time lost, stress, and complete injustice. This is a Garmin problem. Fix it Garmin.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2022

Garmin makes good products. However I called the company to get an understanding of how the maps and map updates work and discovered their phone support is worse than some small businesses. The person I got was unprofessional, rude, did not know what he was talking about and also did not know how to communicate or answer questions logically. By the time I hung up I still did not know what Garmin's map update policies were. I will have to find out by talking to a third party. The person I talked to should be fired or at least placed in a different job within the company as they are unintelligent and lack the skills for answering phone calls.

Get buying tips about Auto Parts and Accessories delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2022

I contacted customer service twice the past few days, once by chat the other by phone. Both time I was treated poorly. Neither rep I had contacted with listened to my issue. They were both condescending and rude. If possible avoid this company. There are other products that are just as good. And finally the service is very expensive. This wouldn’t be a problem if they had good customer service.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2022

I have this issue: https://forums.garmin.com/apps-software/mobile-apps-web/f/garmin-connect-mobile-andriod/300472/oops-looks-like-there-was-a-problem-trying-to-save-this-course-please-try-again. I can successfully import a GPX file created by Gaia GPS into the Connect software on my Android phone, and I see everything in connect, the course map, the elevation profile, everything, but it will not save it after importing it, giving the error message above shown in the link above.

Customer service wasn't interested in me simply emailing them the file to try it for themselves. It would have taken 30 seconds or less to try it on their phone. They just told me if I use a GPX file made by a 3rd party app I am on my own, and I should try importing it on a PC because that might work. Who is going to carry a PC while backpacking through the countryside, which is what I am doing now? Totally ridiculous. Insane.

Original review: March 25, 2022

I purchased the watch in the fall of 2020 and I love it. However... after about a year of wearing the watch I noticed that the thumb side of my wrist starting to itch and turn red. I took the watch off and cleaned it with soap and a soft toothbrush then put it back on. The itching got worse and my wrist started to look and feel blistered. I cleaned the watch again with alcohol, then peroxide, then vinegar. No change. Blistering got worse, I stopped wearing lotion and body oil. No change. So I finally just stopped wearing the watch.

I reached out to Garmin online and was told to contact customer service via telephone. I did so. Spoke to a very nice gal, Sierra, who took my information and sent me to another customer service agent, Debbie, who I can only assume offices in the bowels of the Garmin headquarters far below the sunshine. Debbie asks me to send pics of my wrist and the watch to her. I complied... and wouldn't you know it, all this is my fault! The part of the band that I told Debbie looks like a coating had worn off was actually "residue" to her discerning customer service eyes. And as it turns out, I was wearing the watch incorrectly!

She so observantly pointed out to me that it was clear I was wearing the watch too tightly as you could see the indentions on my wrist..... having not worn the watch for several days I was surprised to hear this but, she's the professional, yes? After listening to Debbie explain to me how to properly wear and clean the watch as if I were a toddler with an expensive toy, I asked her to forgo the remainder of her well rehearsed lecture and just let me know If this was something she was going to be able to help me with or not.

It was then that Debbie told me that despite my complete incompetence she would benevolently send me another watch band, along with another copy of the care instructions that I followed the first time. Of note: I had the feeling Debbie had taken a call like mine before so I asked her "I'm guessing you guys have had this issue before", to which she sardonically replied "yes.". Comforting to know I'm not the only schlemiel out here trying to navigate the intricacies of the modern wristwatch.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2022

So I had a Vivosmart 4, which I used 24/7 as fitness and general health tracker. Sadly, the wristband broke a couple of weeks after the warranty expired. I tried to glue it back together with superglue, but didn't work with the silicon material. So I contacted Garmin, asking if they had any advice on how to fix it. The very next day, in reply they issued a return order asking me to send in the device. I did - and again the very next day I got a notification that a replacement was on its way! It arrived within a day, brand new and for free. Not only am I super happy to be able to track my steps again, but also massively impressed by the over-and-above customer-friendly service. Thank you so much, Garmin!

Original review: Dec. 2, 2021

Purchased a Garmin from one of their resellers. Watch out for Garmin stuffing the sales channel with discontinued products sold as new. I purchased an Oregon that stopped operating at advertised temps when hiking a 14er. Not a good place to be. No one backed a replacement with a new unit since the return policy is so short and since it was discontinued. Garmin is crap and so are resellers.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2021

I have multiple Garmin auto GPS units. I had a problem before on an earlier device and they said they could not fix it. Now I have another of the higher-end GPSs that will not work with the supplied cord and they said they cannot fix it and I have to buy a new one. The 'discounted' price they offered me was more than it was available for on Amazon. I am done with Garmin and do not recommend them to anyone. You are better off just using map apps on your phone.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2021

My Garmin auto navigation device stopped holding a charge so it cannot operate when not attached to a power source (which was a excellent feature). When I called Garmin the customer service rep said that when the device gets to be several years old, that is what happens. I asked if there was a replacement service because when you purchase a Garmin device, there is no warning on the package that the device will be worthless after several years. After a lot of back and forth where he tried many ways to "double-speak" this built in manufacturing failure, he finally said I could exchange it for another Garmin device with a 30% credit. Obviously I am not going to spend any more $$$ on a Garmin device, I now have an unattractive paperweight. Fair warning to other potential buyers: you spending money on a device which is built to fail after a few years.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2021

Their product works ok, but sometimes makes mistakes, so I view it as 85% reliable. I wanted to update the maps, but it does not work. I tried calling customer service, but could not get through. I tried their online chat, but they just send me a canned response, including steps I do not know how to do. End result - I can't update (even though they say lifetime maps).

Garmin author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Founded in 1989, Garmin is an American electronics innovation and distribution company headquartered in Switzerland. Formerly known as ProNav, Garmin is known for its portable vehicle navigation systems but has expanded its product offerings to include wearable GPS technology, aviation and marine navigation and more.

• Portable options: Garmin is an industry leader in portable GPS systems for consumer vehicles. It offers several options at various price points. Display screens vary between 5 and 7 inches and include features such as lifetime map updates, live traffic displays, built-in dash cameras, high definition display and more.

• In-dash options: Unlike other major navigation companies, Garmin’s in-dash navigation systems are compatible with a broad range of vehicle makes, including Suzuki, Honda, Volkswagen, Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Toyota and more.

• Cameras: While Garmin is best known for its GPS systems, it also specializes in vehicle cameras to increase safety on the road. Its cameras come with various features depending on the model you choose, including dash cameras that record in high definition and offer driver awareness warnings as well as backup cameras that enhance rear visibility. It also offers the Garmin babyCam, which allows drivers to monitor their children on the navigation display screen.

• Fleet monitoring: Garmin also offers fleet management devices for customers who own a fleet of vehicles. The in-vehicle devices allow drivers and dispatchers to improve customer service and worker efficiency by combining the navigating power of a traditional GPS with the communication and scheduling capabilities of a mobile device.

• Customer service: Garmin’s devices are sold at many major retailers and dealers as well as on their website, but all Garmin devices are warranted. Customers can contact Garmin customer service representatives through the website or search an expansive Frequently Asked Questions section to get help troubleshooting their devices.

Garmin Company Information