Find an Auto and Truck Accessories partner

Help me decide

3.8/5 (397 ratings)
Find an Auto and Truck Accessories partner
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About Garmin

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Garmin Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Garmin?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Garmin?

Original review: April 18, 2021

I have been working with Garmin technical support for my Garmin 2699 auto GPS. Garmin updated the software to Ver 8.80 plus the maps. They created a problem by queuing the wrong maps for United States. The 2nd map file was incorrect and disabled the voice command function. Initial problem reported on Apr 11 None to the Garmin support persons ever checked the web site for correct files. After 6 times downloading the maps, I contacted chat and was put in contact with a (?) Garmin support person who would not work on my Garmin problem until he installed Norton swr and Malware swr which he invoiced for $400.00. He did not fix the Garmin problem. A 2nd Tech finally called me and loaded the correct maps into the 2699 that fixed the problem. He insisted I pay the $400.00 which was a scam! Turns out both tech were from USA Mart LLC out of Muncie, IND. This a SWR SCAM site.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2021

A GPS bought for me as a Christmas gift..I used less than a dozen times and had several problem with reception. When it wouldn't acquire signal I called the company. They refused to help or update the product.

Get buying tips about Auto and Truck Accessories delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2020

Hi, 3 months ago I had a problem with my Garmin Fenix 5 Plus Sapphire Titanium. The problems occurred in reading GPS, maps and pace. In October I reported this problems to Garmin Customer Service. An adviser informed me that I have to wait two months because my watch model was out of stock. After two months nobody contact with me about my case. When I called to the Garmin I heard standard apologies. They informed me that they still haven’t my watch in stock to replace my one which I sent them a while ago. I asked them to do something with it as I need my watch to my running. Even I agreed to replace for cheaper version 5 X Plus. An adviser which I spoken with said that they have in stock and will send it next day. I was asking couple of times is it will be definitely 5 X Plus model and he every time confirmed it. Unfortunately they sent me the cheapest version this watch 5 Plus and I felt cheated and upset.

Straight away I called to the Customer Service and adviser after speaking with manager said that they will check my conversation to check that I was right and their agent cheated me. Up today nobody contact with me about that they only exchanged me the watch for this which I agreed (5 X Plus). After 3 weeks of using this watch I can see the problem with elevation and pace. Each time I am starting my run from the same place but watch is showing different data. I have called today to the Garmin Customer Service and explain whole situation and that they sent me the watch which from the beginning showing wrong data. Obviously from the beginning they ask me to follow the instructions, switch on and off etc.

I have spoken with adviser called Reece and it was the same when I called last month to discuss my complaint that I was cheated by his friend. The same one who assured me that they will listen the tapes from my conversation about the watch model which I choose to exchange so I asked him did they check it. He said that because they sent me the right watch they close this case!!! For me this case wasn’t finished as someone lied me and he should bear the consequences for it! I asked him to transfer me to the complaint department because I want to get some explanation and resolve that problem. Reece didn’t want to do it and from tone of his voice I felt like he is angry on me. I feel that I was scammed by his friend and he tried to do everything to sweep this under the carpet but I will not leave it like that.

From 3 months I am without the proper working watch and without resolving the problem that I was tricked by an adviser. I feel that they don’t bother about my case because I’m not British Citizen and my English is not fluent but I’m not giving up because if I am spending lots of money for good and branded products I have right to be served and get what I paying for. Now I am waiting for response from Garmin and will update you with it. I just have to warn you to double think before buying so expensive product because soon when it won’t be working properly you will have to fight with their Customers Service and they just wanted to get rid of you not to help you.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

My level of frustration with Garmin is increasing and since their help is closed on Saturday it gives me time to share my thoughts. I have a Garmin GPS map 66st for over a year. When I received my first device I could connect it neither to a computer or to a smartphone in spite of hours spent on the phone. Garmin replaced the device and same problem. I have tried deleting my account and recreating it, starting from scratch. Nothing. When I plug it into a computer it flashes "downloading waypoints" and then turns the device off. Garmin express will not recognize the device. When I attempt to pair it with my iPhone also it starts including providing a pairing code and then fails. Of course no information on any of these failure modes on any support site I can find. Most suspiciously GPSMap 66st is not even on the list of selectable devices. Is there a fundamental issue that Garmin will not recognize. This is most disappointing! Please advise.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2020

The Garmin Vivoactive 3 is a product with lots of promises as a training tool but that delivers on almost none of them. Heart rate measurement accuracy is on par with most wrist-worn devices, which is to say unreliable inconsistent. The GPS works ok, but that's because GPS is good technology, not because of the quality of the device. But where this thing becomes less than useless is in some of the functions that anyone trying to train needs to rely on. Particularly bad are the manual lap function, altimeter, and intensity measurement. This is the second one of these I've had, having returned the defective first one. Maybe they are all defective. I've spent hours online with Garmin reps, resetting this and that, to lose all my carefully chosen settings each time, only to have the thing keep failing to perform its advertised functions.

The manual lap function is a farce. You're supposed to be able to start a new lap by double-tapping the screen during an activity. Forget it. It may work the first or tenth time you try it but will probably take 50-80 tries to work, meanwhile your lap is long since over and, if you're on a bike, by that time you've probably run into a road sign or oncoming traffic trying to get the thing to respond. It works, but in the same way that guessing someone's age by picking random numbers from 1-100 does. Less than useless and, in fact, dangerous.

The altimeter is a joke. Keeping the little port clean makes no difference in its accuracy. It's sometimes correct (like a stopped clock is correct twice a day) but usually off by a couple hundred feet. Looking at the graphs of bike rides I find that every one has sudden vertical ascents or descents of hundreds of feet, adding hundreds, even thousands of “ghost” feet of elevation to the data. There's nothing like struggling up a climb while watching your altimeter going slowly downward to compensate for this “oops” feature, which happens several times on every ride. Worse than no data at all. Also, I was surprised to find that I seemed to be climbing hundreds of floors when no such thing was happening because it uses the altimeter for that calculation.

The intensity minutes is another hoax. During one period, it routinely failed to register any intensity minutes at all from hard workouts that should have yielded a lot of them (yes I have it set correctly to HR zones and so forth) and now gives me thousands per week even if I've been sitting around all day. Again, worse than no data at all. It should be able to do simple arithmetic (add the “moderate” minutes and 2x the “intense” minutes together and get a sum) but can't do this simple calculation for some reason. In over 100 intense activities this feature has not been accurate a single time. This week, for instance, it's given me 1677 intensity minutes so far and this has been a week where I've hardly done any training at all. It should be in the neighborhood of 100 or so.

There are other bogus features on this thing and, based on how inaccurate the important ones are, I wouldn't trust any of them. In any event, the ones I need for any kind of intentional training are unreliable (except that they're reliably so). Still, you can put different watch faces on it so you can see things like weather info at a glance. But that's not what one buys this thing for.

It keeps time about as well as a digital watch from 1975 would, so if you're timing something like how long to water a tree, say, you're probably ok. It seems to know when I went to bed and got up, too, but I already know that, too, so no bonus points there. I know it's an inexpensive model but it uses much the same tech as Garmin's more expensive models, so if you're thinking about getting a Garmin fitness watch, I'd look elsewhere.

Original review: July 26, 2020

Garmin company has no respect to their customers... I have Fenix 6x sapphire model, costs around 1100 $ with tax. Also I had several Garmin products before... And for last 3 days I can’t see any of my workouts, sleep and other data on my app. On the other hand; I have no idea why my watch sends all personal data (which is actually confidential) to a server which is downnn for last 3 days (beginning from 24th July 2020)...

I have q’s about this personal data issue actually. I don’t want Garmin personnel or some others see through my life sequence... Why Garmin connect app. Need to use internet & Garmin server to figure out what do I do.? A simple app. can produce that info just connecting to the watch with bluetooth like all other smart & health watches do... I wonder why Garmin does that and what purpose do they intend...

Original review: July 16, 2020

My new Garmin cannot handle the heat. If I don’t take it inside my house in summer heat it will not work. Last one I owned lasted years with no problems. Not this one. Got it for Christmas and it didn’t make it through the following summer.

Original review: June 30, 2020

Garmin fenix 3 HR. Paid over $500. In little over a year started having software issues. It’s out of warranty. To replace for refurbished is $130.00 plus tax. Meaning I will have refurbished watch and it would cost me more than $600. It’s ridiculous. Customer service not willing to work something out and help. So in plain words. In approximately year and half I supposed to spend $650.00 dollars to have refurbished Garmin fenix 3 watch. For this price they should give better warranties of have some better replacements options. Now you can find this watch online for $320 brand new. So decision to make is to have refurbished for $650 or new for $850. Since I already spent $500 year and a half ago. Garmin customer service doesn’t care.

Original review: June 20, 2020

All I wanted to do is to update the maps in my Garmin 61 GPS. Some guy who said his name was John **. Based on his accent, I doubt this is his real name. Before I knew it, he wanted me to sign up for some $799 software I didn't need. In my opinion this is a complete scam. I advise one and all to stay away from John and Garmin Express.

Original review: June 16, 2020

I bought a new fishing chart, UHD 93sv, and Livescope system with the perspective mount. Spent nearly 3k for everything. I had it installed and it didn't work. The installers told me it was either the cable or cradle was faulty. I called Garmin daily for 4 days, each day spending hrs to get through. Each time they had me doing additional things and updating the new system. After all else failed and a week of wasting time, they decided the cradle or cable was bad and promised to send me new parts via 2 day airmail. Well today is 5 days after they promised and they informed me that they will just be shipping the parts tomorrow. Just be warned how you will be treated and that faulty original parts are common in the package. I won't be buying garmin again.

Garmin author review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1989, Garmin is an American electronics innovation and distribution company headquartered in Switzerland. Formerly known as ProNav, Garmin is known for its portable vehicle navigation systems but has expanded its product offerings to include wearable GPS technology, aviation and marine navigation and more.

• Portable options: Garmin is an industry leader in portable GPS systems for consumer vehicles. It offers several options at various price points. Display screens vary between 5 and 7 inches and include features such as lifetime map updates, live traffic displays, built-in dash cameras, high definition display and more.

• In-dash options: Unlike other major navigation companies, Garmin’s in-dash navigation systems are compatible with a broad range of vehicle makes, including Suzuki, Honda, Volkswagen, Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Toyota and more.

• Cameras: While Garmin is best known for its GPS systems, it also specializes in vehicle cameras to increase safety on the road. Its cameras come with various features depending on the model you choose, including dash cameras that record in high definition and offer driver awareness warnings as well as backup cameras that enhance rear visibility. It also offers the Garmin babyCam, which allows drivers to monitor their children on the navigation display screen.

• Fleet monitoring: Garmin also offers fleet management devices for customers who own a fleet of vehicles. The in-vehicle devices allow drivers and dispatchers to improve customer service and worker efficiency by combining the navigating power of a traditional GPS with the communication and scheduling capabilities of a mobile device.

• Customer service: Garmin’s devices are sold at many major retailers and dealers as well as on their website, but all Garmin devices are warranted. Customers can contact Garmin customer service representatives through the website or search an expansive Frequently Asked Questions section to get help troubleshooting their devices.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team