Get peace of Mind

Be comforted knowing that your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend My Warranty
1.00/5
Based on 23 reviews that contain star ratings

Looking for auto and truck accessories?

Get peace of Mind

Be comforted knowing that your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend My Warranty

23 Imperial Car Computer Exchange Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

Ordered an ECM for my 2008 Dodge 3500 6.7L. Was told it would be here in a week. A month later it shows up. Take it to my diesel mechanic and it doesn't work. Sent it back in November of 2018. To this day still haven't received my product. Have been told by Brian, that they are working on some. And he would call back. Nobody has ever called back. I call about 3 times a week. The past 3 weeks Brian is unavailable. Nobody can tell me anything about my ECM. Do not do business here. Spend the extra money and get it somewhere else. 5 months my dually has been sitting. Imperial Car Computer Exchange is not a reputable company.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I ordered a ECM and received a PCM. I called and was told the ECM was more money and when they received the PCM back that amount would be credited toward the ECM I needed. I said no problem. When they received the part they charged me the difference ($345.28). After several days I called and was told they did not have the part I needed. I then told them to cancel the order and refund my credit card. To date I was charged $569.68 for the wrong part, $345.28 for the part they did not have and was never sent to me, I received a credit for $308.95. They are charging me $606.00 for a part that cost $569.68 and was returned to them. I have been calling almost daily only to be told they will look into it and call me back. It's been two months and no callback. THIS IS NOT RIGHT. I won't give in.

Get expert buying tips about Auto and Truck Accessories delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I ordered a PCM in March. I sent them a photo of the VIN number to make sure it would be keyed properly. It wasn't keyed at all. I was sent a refurbished PCM, was told to pay a locksmith to have it keyed and it would work. I paid $110 to a locksmith, and the PCM didn't work. I then sent them the one from my car to refurbish. They did refurbish it, and sent it back to me. It failed again in October. I spoke with Brian and he assured me that it was covered and that they would get this fixed and back to me right away. I let him know that he needed to fix mine and mail it back, DO NOT SEND ME A DIFFERENT ONE. They sent a different one. They now expect me to pay a locksmith $110 again to try and key the car with no guarantee that it will work.

I have asked Brian to please guarantee me that it will work, or that they would pay the next locksmith fee if it did not, they said no. I asked for a refund, they said no. I now have a 2000 lb paperweight in my driveway with no working PCM. I have been calling for a week straight with no luck. Each time I call I am assured that Brian or the owner would call me back the same day... They never do. Do yourself a favor and DO NOT BUY FROM THESE PEOPLE.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

I ordered a Dakota RT in 1999 and have had it ever since. For Christmas, I decided to order a backup ECM to have on the shelf, and if lucky the flash would be an upgrade to my OEM. Well, once I read the BS from ICCE I knew I had picked the wrong folks to deal with. It contained a full list of untruths concerning modules. Modules withstand tremendous loading in crashes and all sorts of cleaners and solvents and despite what the vendor claims, I have yet to see a sensor foul a module. The vendor makes it plain, in the packaging, (nowhere on the website) if anything goes wrong with your purchased module, it is your fault... My shipment was damaged but I feel certain it had nothing to do with the "correctly" installed ICCE brick. And a brick it was. My 360 Magnum did not even try to start, though it did try to backfire.

I have no clue what this brick they sent goes to but it is not what I ordered. It is frustrating to take several hours out of a few hours vacation...wasted on junk! I reinstalled my OEM (which in 20 years has only thrown one code). It fired right off. It is certain, after reading dozens and dozens of reviews this evening, ICCE does not care about good business practice. Folks, I grew up around a working garage as a child and studied math and engineering in college. The product I was sent was junk when it left their possession. Please think before you do any business with these folks! Thanks for your time.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

We ordered an ECU, received a PCM and we waited more than 4 weeks to receive the correct item and never received. We returned the incorrect product within one week, original box, never used and requested a refund. We noticed today we received a partial refund, $400 less than what we originally paid for an incorrect product. Do not do business with this company, they are terrible and clearly using a review service to create fake Google reviews on their behalf.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Imperial Car Computer Exchange?

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I ordered a computer on Oct 16 2018, for a 2007 Ford Taurus. I gave them the VIN and the part number from the old computer. The replacement unit is supposed to have the correct VIN programmed into it and be ready to "plug and play". Got the replacement on Oct 22. I installed it and immediately noticed the correct VIN HAD NOT been programmed in. The vehicle would not start and run with the replacement unit installed, however it would start and run with the original unit, it just had a misfiring cylinder.

Upon checking the part number on the replacement unit with my local Ford dealership it was determined that the replacement was from a 2004 Sable with an entirely different engine and was incompatible with my vehicle. I contacted the vendor and was told to send it back (at my expense) and they would take a look at it. I told them that was unacceptable, that I had a customers car down and they can't wait another 10 days to get back on the road. I asked if they could ship out another unit overnight at their expense since this was clearly their fault. He scoffed and said "Yeah, that's not gonna happen". I found a replacement unit locally and sent theirs back for a refund. They only refunded 109.90 of the 219.90 price I was charged. They completely misrepresented their product. On their website they claim to program the correct VIN and live test each unit before it ships. They did not do either. These people are dishonest.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

Car Computer Exchange, seen here as Imperial Car Computer Exchange, and shows up as Imperial Auto Services LLC on PayPal out of Cary NC sent me a defective part so I know they do not test every component but they should. The EMC they sent me would not even send a signal to my fuel pump so my vehicle wouldn't even start. Then trying to get a replacement part is where my major frustrations occurred because after many weeks and no return calls I finally had to open a dispute with PayPal and was awarded a full refund of my $815.

If you do decide to use this company then make sure to pay with PayPal for extra security and check every component your part should run to ensure that a non-working component doesn't cause more damage to another part of your engine in the future. When I told the receptionist I was tired of the runaround and would be requesting a full refund, she told me that they would withhold 30% restocking fee and $200 for programming my VIN because I returned their part. With PayPal, I had the security of their warranty and received a FULL refund due to not receiving what I ordered, which was supposed to be a fully tested and working END! I do not recommend this company!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Terrible customer service. DO NOT PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM THIS COMPANY. Here's my story. I purchased a PCM for $388 in July of 2018. I didn't receive it until mid August. The unit was faulty and they were quick to test it "fix" and send it back (about a week). Unfortunately the same problem persisted with the second unit they sent out (it wasn't supplying any power to the TB) and would remedy itself when I put the original PCM back in the vehicle.

No big deal, it's a re-manufactured PCM and weird things can happen. I requested a refund and they let me know it would take 7-10 business days. I got the refund today 9/26. Unfortunately my refund was $200 less than the original purchase!! I called and was told by a supervisor (Brian) that it doesn't matter whether the unit was faulty or not, their return policy is policy and they can't do anything about it. When I tried to explain to him that he had not fulfilled my original order because I was never sent a working unit, he was no less unmoved. Be warned folks. If you have any issues with your purchase with these people, they will keep more than HALF your money (a 25% and $50 fee). I'm really not sure how they have reviewed so well.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

Ordered a computer, received it, did not work AFTER I paid $160.00 to have key fob reprogrammed to it. Sent it back, it came back STILL DEFECTIVE! Took unit to Ford Dealership where they verified unit was junk and not even programmed to the VIN Number on my vehicle as they claim to do. Try to get them to do the right thing since I had documentation unit was junk, but they refused. Luckily, PAYPAL sided with me and the evidence I presented and refunded my money. I wish I had done a little more digging, I am not the only one who has been through this. Their customer service is a joke!

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

Bought a PCM less than 30 days ago & it was bad & sent an email that very same day. I got to let them know. I sent it back under their 1 year warranty & took 2 weeks to only get back half my money. This company is a scam & needs shut down ASAP. Nice way to make money no matter what such as sell a bad item & when it comes back sell to someone else & always making money, what a racket.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

Ordered a new PCM from them. After 3 weeks and multiple excuses on what and where it was I had to contact and contest charge with credit card company. Not knowing it was the same crap company I then sent my PCM in for repair. They said it was unrepairable and didn't refund the price paid. You will have to contest the charge with bank or credit card company. This company is a scam. They stopped getting enough orders on parts to keep business up so resorted to stealing money by listing fake repair services and returning as unrepairable. Dealership said it was good and something else giving repair error. It's obvious they don't know jack.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

I found this company online and needed a computer for a customer's car. First, they told me they had a computer for me and I paid their price of $388.95. I waited a week before I called them to located this computer. Upon calling, they claimed to have sent me an email stating they did not have the computer and I needed to send them the old computer and they would repair it. I sent them the computer, they "repaired" it and sent it back to me a week later. We then installed the computer as per their instruction and the computer does NOT work. I called the company back, they sent a call tag for the computer and sent it to them for a second time.

More than a week passes and I called them AGAIN and talked to Brian, a tech. He states, "the computer was not communicating and they don't know why it lost communication". Brian then tells me it will be a few days before he will have an answer for me, but they are working on it. Lo and behold the next day the computer shows up at my door and we install it again... and it still doesn't work. I spent three more weeks trying to find out what this company is going to do about the computer not working. I want a refund, however I have talked to several people and all I get is smoke blown up my butt.

Now, today is August 1, 2017 and I receive a call back from Brian, he states that it is the vehicle's fault and they will not refund the money spent. In the mean time, I purchased a computer from another source, and it was installed and works just fine. CROOKS, FRAUD and SCAMMERS are all around us and this company is the WORST. The owner who's name I've been told is Jeremy, does not take calls. So, If you have any kind of sense then do NOT ever deal with these people, they are dishonest and very good liars.

Original review: April 30, 2017

This company states that they accept returns but fail to tell you they will keep half of your money to do so. I ordered a computer for my car that I ended up not needing and was told to use the return label provided to return it. I paid $278.00 for the item using my Visa and was only credited back $138.00. My order number was **. I would like the rest of my money returned for the item that I returned.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2016

I am very displeased with this company. The claim is that the units being purchased are 'Plug and Play'. Yet, I had 3 different units sent to me, each taking over a week to receive, and neither one of them worked. They continued to say it was something wrong with my security system. I finally hired someone locally to reprogram the computer and they said the previous programming was all off for my vehicle. I called Car Computer Exchange to let them know this information. I spoke to Patrice. She told me there was nothing they can offer me in terms of refund for sending non-working units. On top of it all, because I had to reprogram the computer, they voided my warranty and then she HUNG UP ON ME! Completely dissatisfied with this company and I hope they learn some better customer service skills!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2016

I order a PCM for a GMC. They told me it was plug 'n play. When arrived I connect it and it didn't work so I called them. They said "You need to programmed by open the switch 3 times for 10 minutes each periods" but it didn't worked. Send it back and they last 3 weeks for telling me that they were having problems with GM programming system. They send back the core (updated) and his useless PCM. It's been 8 months. They said hope the core can work with the updated and the other PCM I need to programmed. So it's a steal. Don't do business with this guys. Better go dealership or eBay. At least with eBay you get your money back.

Original review: June 20, 2016

I contacted this company via the internet to purchase an engine controller for a 2007 Chrysler Sebring. They sent me the 1st unit on 3/18/16, upon arrival we installed the part and had a control problem with the transmission which wasn't there prior to installing this controller (PO765 error code). After contacting them I sent back the 1st controller and they sent me a 2nd controller on 4/1/16. When I installed the 2nd controller there was a different error code (PO760) that sent the car into limping mode. I assumed there was something wrong with the car so I purchased a transmission solenoid pack and the same code was still there.

At this point I called the company about the problem with their computers. I was told by one of their representatives to send back the 2nd computer and they would have one of their techs call me about the problems. I never received a call but I got a 3rd computer on 4/29/16 that I didn't order or expect. I was able to get the customer to reschedule but this took several weeks. I installed this computer and had the same problems. At this point I sent back the final computer and tried to get a refund. I was told I wasn't eligible for a refund since it was over 30 days since I received the 1st computer. All of their computers were sent back to them defective. I am now out $218.95 for the part, labor and diagnostic time and the four times my customer had to return for repairs.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2016

A car computer was purchased from this company in June 2015 for my van g caravan year 2005 and payment was made accordingly and my faulty computer was sent to them as core part. In October 2015 it stopped working. They were informed about the same. They asked to send the PCM back under warranty. They returned the same unit back which never worked. I again contacted them. They wanted complete history which was provided and they asked it will not be accounted against warranty and asked about the security system and type of the key which was provided. The module was shipped to them again and they returned it. This time the car started but on 3 January 2016 it again failed. Now I contacted them. They are not listening and saying that warranty has already been used and trying to blame faulty harness/coil. Thanks.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2015

I ordered this computer and it came. I paid a mechanic to install it and it was faulty. The short story is they sent me 3 computers and none worked. I just bought a computer from Autozone and had it installed. It works great. I tried to get a refund and they will not give it to me. Save yourself time and money. Buy local.

Original review: May 8, 2015

Transmission control module went bad just after warranty. I called them. They don't care. It cost $199.00. I call a used car place. They have them for $19.00. That sucks the big one.

Original review: April 7, 2015

Do not order a PCM from this company - go with a local shop or dealer. We waited over a week to get the unit. 3 mechanics (including one at the dealership) said the unit was bad. It took an additional 2 weeks for the car to get fixed - with a PCM from the dealership - and we paid WAY more in labor than if we had just gone with someone local to begin with. This company charged us $100 to return the unit - (for a "flash fee" and a restock fee.) They may be good at other things - but - AVOID ordering a PCM online from them. Horrible experience.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2014

I purchased an ECM for a 2001 Jeep Wrangler on Oct. 2 2014. Car computer exchange didn't have one so they told me that it would take 2 weeks. I received the ECM and installed it. The vehicle ran but didn't have injector pulse on number 2 cylinder. I sent the ECM back along with my core to activate the warranty. I received my core back that was supposedly rebuilt. Number 2 cylinder was fixed but number 3 had a wide pulse. I sent that back and it was returned with the same problem. When I contacted the company they told me that I had no warranty and no refund would be issued.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2014

My 2003 Jeep Cherokee Laredo would not start. Took to dealer and they changed the Fuel Pump, the Crank position sensor and the Cam position sensor - still no start. They told me it had to be the computer, so I ordered one from the Computer Exchange. I installed it and it started but had a code P0601 which is a bad computer. I requested a warranty replacement and they sent another one with 3 different transmission codes. Replaced parts in the transmission and the computer still will not clear codes. Took it back to another mechanic I trust and he said the computer is still bad. The Car Computer Exchange refused to cover the warranty because they said the Jeep damaged the computer. My mechanic ordered another computer from another company and installed it and my Jeep runs like a new car.

I should have read the scam alert before I ordered from these guys. I read others and found out that his real name is Jeremy ** and has served time for scamming others. They said if I send them my Invoice for the repair showing the computer fixed my Jeep they would think about a refund or some kind of credit. I sent it a week ago and now they don't even respond. Guess I can chock this one up to a lesson learned that cost me $229.00 plus all those other parts. I had a 1 Year warranty and only had the computer 4 Months. I think all of us should get together and start a Class Action Lawsuit. I'm still MAD. Don't buy your computer from here.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2014

I own and operate an auto dealership and repair facility. Recently ordered a ECM from car computer exchange and was told that they could not fill my order as they did not have any cores that they were able to be rebuilt. In the mean time they charged my credit card with the purchase price. I then sent them the core out of the vehicle I was repairing and they said that it too was not able to be repaired. So I then ask for a refund and was only refunded a portion of the original purchase price. When I inquired as to the reason I was told that I was charged for the time and resources spent to find out that they couldn't repair the computer that I had sent to them. Really. What a way to run a business. We can't fill your order but we're going to charge you for trying. Never again.

Imperial Car Computer Exchange expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Imperial Car Computer Exchange is an automotive computer parts supplier in Raleigh, North Carolina. They specialize in refurbishing and exchanging computers. Customers can order online and receive a programmed, ready-to-use computer in days.

• Selection of products: Imperial Car Computer exchange specializes in computers for Dodge, Jeep and Chrysler vehicles but also carries a selection of parts for other makes including select models of Plymouth, Ford, Honda, Lexus and Toyota. They also offer select programming tools and battery chargers.

• Free technical support: Because most computer parts are reprogrammed and ready to plug-and-play, customers can generally install the part themselves. If you have questions about the technical process while installing the part, you can call their representatives and receive customized support.

• One year warranty for exchanges: Customers who opt to send in their old computer parts receive a free one-year warranty on their new or refurbished purchase. Imperial Car Computer Exchange provides a prepaid return shipping label to make the exchange process simple. If your new or refurbished computer fails within a year of exchange, they will replace it.

• Payment options: Imperial Car Computer Exchange makes online shopping simple with several payment options. They accept all major credit cards, PayPal, wire transfer, check or money order. Contact the company through its website to ask about mailed payments.

• Fast shipment: This company specializes in fast shipment: your purchase will be programmed, customized and shipped within 1 to 2 business days of your order. Because Imperial uses USPS Priority mail, if you are located in the continental United States, your shipment will arrive within days of your original order.

• Best for: owners of major vehicle makes who want to install computer parts themselves.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs