1.00/5
Based on 14 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for auto and truck accessories?

14 Imperial Car Computer Exchange Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

Bought a PCM less than 30 days ago & it was bad & sent an email that very same day. I got to let them know. I sent it back under their 1 year warranty & took 2 weeks to only get back half my money. This company is a scam & needs shut down ASAP. Nice way to make money no matter what such as sell a bad item & when it comes back sell to someone else & always making money, what a racket.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

Ordered a new PCM from them. After 3 weeks and multiple excuses on what and where it was I had to contact and contest charge with credit card company. Not knowing it was the same crap company I then sent my PCM in for repair. They said it was unrepairable and didn't refund the price paid. You will have to contest the charge with bank or credit card company. This company is a scam. They stopped getting enough orders on parts to keep business up so resorted to stealing money by listing fake repair services and returning as unrepairable. Dealership said it was good and something else giving repair error. It's obvious they don't know jack.

Get expert buying tips about Auto and Truck Accessories delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

I found this company online and needed a computer for a customer's car. First, they told me they had a computer for me and I paid their price of $388.95. I waited a week before I called them to located this computer. Upon calling, they claimed to have sent me an email stating they did not have the computer and I needed to send them the old computer and they would repair it. I sent them the computer, they "repaired" it and sent it back to me a week later. We then installed the computer as per their instruction and the computer does NOT work. I called the company back, they sent a call tag for the computer and sent it to them for a second time.

More than a week passes and I called them AGAIN and talked to Brian, a tech. He states, "the computer was not communicating and they don't know why it lost communication". Brian then tells me it will be a few days before he will have an answer for me, but they are working on it. Lo and behold the next day the computer shows up at my door and we install it again... and it still doesn't work. I spent three more weeks trying to find out what this company is going to do about the computer not working. I want a refund, however I have talked to several people and all I get is smoke blown up my butt.

Now, today is August 1, 2017 and I receive a call back from Brian, he states that it is the vehicle's fault and they will not refund the money spent. In the mean time, I purchased a computer from another source, and it was installed and works just fine. CROOKS, FRAUD and SCAMMERS are all around us and this company is the WORST. The owner who's name I've been told is Jeremy, does not take calls. So, If you have any kind of sense then do NOT ever deal with these people, they are dishonest and very good liars.

Original review: April 30, 2017

This company states that they accept returns but fail to tell you they will keep half of your money to do so. I ordered a computer for my car that I ended up not needing and was told to use the return label provided to return it. I paid $278.00 for the item using my Visa and was only credited back $138.00. My order number was **. I would like the rest of my money returned for the item that I returned.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2016

I am very displeased with this company. The claim is that the units being purchased are 'Plug and Play'. Yet, I had 3 different units sent to me, each taking over a week to receive, and neither one of them worked. They continued to say it was something wrong with my security system. I finally hired someone locally to reprogram the computer and they said the previous programming was all off for my vehicle. I called Car Computer Exchange to let them know this information. I spoke to Patrice. She told me there was nothing they can offer me in terms of refund for sending non-working units. On top of it all, because I had to reprogram the computer, they voided my warranty and then she HUNG UP ON ME! Completely dissatisfied with this company and I hope they learn some better customer service skills!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Imperial Car Computer Exchange?

Original review: Sept. 16, 2016

I order a PCM for a GMC. They told me it was plug 'n play. When arrived I connect it and it didn't work so I called them. They said "You need to programmed by open the switch 3 times for 10 minutes each periods" but it didn't worked. Send it back and they last 3 weeks for telling me that they were having problems with GM programming system. They send back the core (updated) and his useless PCM. It's been 8 months. They said hope the core can work with the updated and the other PCM I need to programmed. So it's a steal. Don't do business with this guys. Better go dealership or eBay. At least with eBay you get your money back.

Original review: June 20, 2016

I contacted this company via the internet to purchase an engine controller for a 2007 Chrysler Sebring. They sent me the 1st unit on 3/18/16, upon arrival we installed the part and had a control problem with the transmission which wasn't there prior to installing this controller (PO765 error code). After contacting them I sent back the 1st controller and they sent me a 2nd controller on 4/1/16. When I installed the 2nd controller there was a different error code (PO760) that sent the car into limping mode. I assumed there was something wrong with the car so I purchased a transmission solenoid pack and the same code was still there.

At this point I called the company about the problem with their computers. I was told by one of their representatives to send back the 2nd computer and they would have one of their techs call me about the problems. I never received a call but I got a 3rd computer on 4/29/16 that I didn't order or expect. I was able to get the customer to reschedule but this took several weeks. I installed this computer and had the same problems. At this point I sent back the final computer and tried to get a refund. I was told I wasn't eligible for a refund since it was over 30 days since I received the 1st computer. All of their computers were sent back to them defective. I am now out $218.95 for the part, labor and diagnostic time and the four times my customer had to return for repairs.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2016

A car computer was purchased from this company in June 2015 for my van g caravan year 2005 and payment was made accordingly and my faulty computer was sent to them as core part. In October 2015 it stopped working. They were informed about the same. They asked to send the PCM back under warranty. They returned the same unit back which never worked. I again contacted them. They wanted complete history which was provided and they asked it will not be accounted against warranty and asked about the security system and type of the key which was provided. The module was shipped to them again and they returned it. This time the car started but on 3 January 2016 it again failed. Now I contacted them. They are not listening and saying that warranty has already been used and trying to blame faulty harness/coil. Thanks.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2015

I ordered this computer and it came. I paid a mechanic to install it and it was faulty. The short story is they sent me 3 computers and none worked. I just bought a computer from Autozone and had it installed. It works great. I tried to get a refund and they will not give it to me. Save yourself time and money. Buy local.

Original review: May 8, 2015

Transmission control module went bad just after warranty. I called them. They don't care. It cost $199.00. I call a used car place. They have them for $19.00. That sucks the big one.

Original review: April 7, 2015

Do not order a PCM from this company - go with a local shop or dealer. We waited over a week to get the unit. 3 mechanics (including one at the dealership) said the unit was bad. It took an additional 2 weeks for the car to get fixed - with a PCM from the dealership - and we paid WAY more in labor than if we had just gone with someone local to begin with. This company charged us $100 to return the unit - (for a "flash fee" and a restock fee.) They may be good at other things - but - AVOID ordering a PCM online from them. Horrible experience.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2014

I purchased an ECM for a 2001 Jeep Wrangler on Oct. 2 2014. Car computer exchange didn't have one so they told me that it would take 2 weeks. I received the ECM and installed it. The vehicle ran but didn't have injector pulse on number 2 cylinder. I sent the ECM back along with my core to activate the warranty. I received my core back that was supposedly rebuilt. Number 2 cylinder was fixed but number 3 had a wide pulse. I sent that back and it was returned with the same problem. When I contacted the company they told me that I had no warranty and no refund would be issued.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2014

My 2003 Jeep Cherokee Laredo would not start. Took to dealer and they changed the Fuel Pump, the Crank position sensor and the Cam position sensor - still no start. They told me it had to be the computer, so I ordered one from the Computer Exchange. I installed it and it started but had a code P0601 which is a bad computer. I requested a warranty replacement and they sent another one with 3 different transmission codes. Replaced parts in the transmission and the computer still will not clear codes. Took it back to another mechanic I trust and he said the computer is still bad. The Car Computer Exchange refused to cover the warranty because they said the Jeep damaged the computer. My mechanic ordered another computer from another company and installed it and my Jeep runs like a new car.

I should have read the scam alert before I ordered from these guys. I read others and found out that his real name is Jeremy ** and has served time for scamming others. They said if I send them my Invoice for the repair showing the computer fixed my Jeep they would think about a refund or some kind of credit. I sent it a week ago and now they don't even respond. Guess I can chock this one up to a lesson learned that cost me $229.00 plus all those other parts. I had a 1 Year warranty and only had the computer 4 Months. I think all of us should get together and start a Class Action Lawsuit. I'm still MAD. Don't buy your computer from here.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2014

I own and operate an auto dealership and repair facility. Recently ordered a ECM from car computer exchange and was told that they could not fill my order as they did not have any cores that they were able to be rebuilt. In the mean time they charged my credit card with the purchase price. I then sent them the core out of the vehicle I was repairing and they said that it too was not able to be repaired. So I then ask for a refund and was only refunded a portion of the original purchase price. When I inquired as to the reason I was told that I was charged for the time and resources spent to find out that they couldn't repair the computer that I had sent to them. Really. What a way to run a business. We can't fill your order but we're going to charge you for trying. Never again.

Not sure about Imperial Car Computer Exchange?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Auto and Truck Accessories for you.

Imperial Car Computer Exchange expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Imperial Car Computer Exchange is an automotive computer parts supplier in Raleigh, North Carolina. They specialize in refurbishing and exchanging computers. Customers can order online and receive a programmed, ready-to-use computer in days.

• Selection of products: Imperial Car Computer exchange specializes in computers for Dodge, Jeep and Chrysler vehicles but also carries a selection of parts for other makes including select models of Plymouth, Ford, Honda, Lexus and Toyota. They also offer select programming tools and battery chargers.

• Free technical support: Because most computer parts are reprogrammed and ready to plug-and-play, customers can generally install the part themselves. If you have questions about the technical process while installing the part, you can call their representatives and receive customized support.

• One year warranty for exchanges: Customers who opt to send in their old computer parts receive a free one-year warranty on their new or refurbished purchase. Imperial Car Computer Exchange provides a prepaid return shipping label to make the exchange process simple. If your new or refurbished computer fails within a year of exchange, they will replace it.

• Payment options: Imperial Car Computer Exchange makes online shopping simple with several payment options. They accept all major credit cards, PayPal, wire transfer, check or money order. Contact the company through its website to ask about mailed payments.

• Fast shipment: This company specializes in fast shipment: your purchase will be programmed, customized and shipped within 1 to 2 business days of your order. Because Imperial uses USPS Priority mail, if you are located in the continental United States, your shipment will arrive within days of your original order.

• Best for: owners of major vehicle makes who want to install computer parts themselves.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

NC
    888-875-2958
    carcomputerexchange.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business