Sandals Resorts

Caribbean Chain

3.1/5 (44 ratings)

About Sandals Resorts

Sandals Resorts Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sandals Resorts?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sandals & Beaches Resorts?

Original review: April 28, 2022

I do not understand how the reviews are good for this resort. I had a one-bedroom suite with a butler and had to move 3 times! The rooms have not been renovated in many years. The tile and grout in 2 of the bathrooms was cracked. The white couch was filthy as well as the rugs. The resort was out of the premium cognac and Crown Royal that was offered and no lobster as they advised it was out of season. The beachside of the resort TECHNICALLY has a "beach" but it is more like a lagoon and you definitely cannot take a stroll.

I attempted to dial 0 to get a pick-up and received no answer MANY times and depending on where you are at the resort, it is not walking distance. A group of us attended the spa and the pricing is deceptive! They include a service fee that is not mentioned and asked what kind of oil you would like and did not advise it was an additional $50. I WILL DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS LOCATION AT ALL!! Not luxurious and very outdated!

Original review: April 28, 2022

I ate seafood at one of Sandals restaurants on my second night, became very Sick, doctors etc, in bed for 4/5 days, reluctant to eat etc. for remainder of holiday, Sandals promised on several occasions to deal with this disaster but keep ignoring my mails, 67 yrs of age, holiday ruined for both my wife and I who traveled from Ireland.

Get buying tips about Hotel Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 18, 2022

25th wedding anniversary! Was a great vacation everything was nice especially the entertainment. What offended me was the miscommunication with the use of the safe, although I decided not to use it I never anticipated be victimized twice. When I realized 35,000 in Jamaican money was missing from my room ($226 US) we were treated like criminals when our room was searched. Although the stated "we can refuse" the search I feel like that would have made us appear guilty. They searched all of our luggage, souvenir bags/purchases, areas of the room when didn't know about, even under the lamps! While we enjoyed ourselves "in the beginning" and may patronize another sandals in the very, very, far future I don't think we will ever use another Sandals in the Jamaica area.

Original review: April 9, 2022

I very recently stayed at Sandals Royal Caribbean with my girlfriend, along with 58 other couples for a wedding. While the resort did look very nice it was very small which is fine, but that's not why I'm giving it one star. I'm giving it one star for multiple reasons, to begin with the price. We paid for a "Kensington Room." Which is supposed to be a slightly upgraded room tier, after we had been there for a few days and had a chance to speak with other couples who had different rooms we found that people who had booked rooms that were in a lower tier than ours actually had more amenities in their rooms. The first of which was an outdoor soaker tub, we noted that more than half of the rooms on the resort had them but ours.

In addition to that our "patio" if you can even call it that was barely large enough to fit two chairs and a table and have an extra 5 feet of space. The photos of the room online and what the room actually looked like when we got there were completely different. In addition, it states that every room gets two complimentary robes for your comfort to use during your stay, we were unaware of this until the day before we were to check out when we received a letter stating that the robes cost $65 each if you took them with you. We never had any in our room.

As for the cleaning, I will say that yes my room was turned down daily and left clean but the issue that I have is when I started out I had 4 towels, the next day we only had two left from showering our first day. Rather than restocking the two that we used they simply took the two dirty ones away and only left us with two. We would only get 4 towels every two days.

We had a bath mat our first day and our last day before checking out, otherwise we were forced to put down face cloths and other small towels just so that we wouldn't slip after taking a shower. Another thing that I found very disappointing while not necessary it would have been nice if it were done but we found out that every other couple had animals made out of towels placed on their bed daily. This was an experience that we never got. Again though as stated not something that I feel is necessary but just a nice little added touch that we did not receive.

We opted to take advantage of the "free" photo shoot which indeed is free. Although you have to pay for the photos that you wish to keep. After selecting around 30 photos that we wanted to keep we were told that we could get the 30 photos for the "25 photo price" but we would not be receiving a photo collage or photo album or picture frame unless we wanted to pay more money. After it was all said and done and we paid for the photos we spoke with another couple who got 10 less photos than us for $60 less and also got the photo collage.

They also informed us that there was a photo package deal that actually cost $20 LESS than what I paid but it gave you 40 photos and a photo album. This was never something that was made aware to us. When I went back in a few hours later and asked what I would need to do in order to take advantage of this promo I was told there was nothing that I could do about it and if I wanted to get a collage or photo album I would need to pay an additional $60 "because I opted out of it." The staff who sold the photos to me didn't seem to care at all about the amount of money that I had already spent nor did they seem to care to want to help me. The photographer that took my photos I will say did a very good job and was very kind though.

The food was mediocre at best at most restaurants and would typically have anywhere from a 1-2 hour wait at times just to sit down at a table in addition to another 1-1.5 hours just to get your food served to you. One couple that we went with sat down at the Mariner restaurant outside, and ordered food. They told their waitress that they were moving tables from one in the sun to one in the shade. After waiting another approximately 45 minutes they were informed that "they left and they could not find them and that they did not tell their waitress." In addition the restaurant Spices is closed on Tuesday nights but that was never told to anyone until we got there. The staff would tell you that you don't need a reservation at some places or would make a reservation for you only to have you be forced to still wait well after your reservation time just to get your seat.

Sandals also failed to make mention to us that no matter what time your flight is (our flight was at 3:13 PM) you are forced to leave the resort 3 hours prior to your flight time. Had I known that I would not be able to stay on resort any longer than 3 hours before my flight left I would have booked an earlier return flight as I only booked the later flight anticipating that I could spend more time there when ultimately I only got 1 extra hour after checkout which was spent sitting in the lobby waiting for my shuttle bus.

And lastly what I found to be most frustrating from the whole ordeal was that one of my friends went into the gift shop and purchased a t-shirt and hat combo for $20. I went into the gift shop two days after he made the purchase to get one for myself, when we noticed that the price quickly jumped up from $20 just two days prior to $35. When we spoke to the staff there they told us that it was always $35 and were incredibly rude towards us. I understand that you should expect to pay a little bit extra for souvenirs sometimes while on vacation, but to price gouge like that is completely unacceptable. Overall the value that we paid for and the value that we received are two completely separate things. We were charged well more than what I feel the value was worth and will not be returning to Sandals ever again after this experience.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2022

Experience at the property: Absolutely amazing. We stayed in an Over the water bungalow: 10/10 recommend. Luther is the BEST butler ever. Billing/discount: 0/10. We booked our honeymoon for The Sandals Grande in St. Lucia and booked a less expensive room at first, talked with Sandals about the 10% first responder (my husband is a police officer rate), and changed our minds to ALSO book an incredible Over the Water Bungalow. The OWB was $26,000 but with a 10% discount, that would bring the total down to $23,400 which was a much more feasible amount for us to pay. We ended up canceling the less expensive room and going all in on the OWB. We had to take out an additional credit card and save save save in order to have the 23,400 for this once in a lifetime trip.

We were sent the special website to put in the first responder info from Sandals and I filled it out. The next day, my husband filled it out (not knowing that I also had -ha!). So we thought by filling it out twice, we would be TOTALLY covered. We were told the ONLY remaining thing to do was to arrive at the resort and show his badge/ID to prove he is a police officer. Upon arrival, we asked our butler who we should show the badge to and he said not to worry about it. The next day we went to the front desk and they said it was taken care of. We again, confirmed upon checkout that the discount would be applied when they charged our credit card the final payment.

We came home thrilled from the most amazing 10 days in paradise (also of note - we booked ANOTHER trip while we were there - this time only $7,000 trip to Curacao next year, and used the police discount). When we arrived home and checked our credit card statement, we were charged the ORIGINAL price of $26,000+. I contacted Sandals by chat and they told me I had to call customer service. I called customer service and was on hold for over an hour.

When I finally had a conversation with someone, they had to call a manager on the back end to investigate and again I was put on hold. Their questions to me were "do you have proof that you submitted that he is a police officer BEFORE you went" and I said I submitted the information on the website link as directed. They said they did not have any proof of this. Then, they asked if I called the reservation center to confirm the discount and I said no, I was always told to show the badge/ID on site. They said there is NOTHING that anyone at the resort would have to do with the discount. I am so incredibly baffled and after speaking with Sheldon by email (now over two weeks since our honeymoon, STILL dealing with this), Sheldon said there is nothing they can do and was very rude in his/her responses to me.

I am confused why proof at the resort was not good enough, why us BOTH filling out the required first responder page was not good enough (and if it didn't go through, why is that OUR fault, or if it doesn't show on our end why is that OUR fault)? On Sandals website they talk about the first responder discount saying, "In appreciation of your services and commitment, Sandals Resorts would like to extend a great offer just for you!" We do not feel any appreciation. We actually feel like we were baited and switched because we only booked the more expensive room knowing that we could have the 10% discount and instead we were forced to pay full price and increase our credit limit. We are asking for a discount of the 10% as originally promised and as provided to all other law enforcement guests who travel to Sandals.

In addition, there is conflicting information because on their website it also says, "*10% year-round discount off any existing promotional rate for all Active and Retired U.S. and Canada police personnel. Proof of police ID will be required at check-in." We tried to provide the ID over and over while we were at the resort just to make sure and do our due diligence and we were told it would be taken care of. And it wasn't. This process has left us with a sour taste in our mouth regarding traveling to Sandals and we are reconsidering our trip next year due to this chaos.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2022

1) Promised airport transfer to resort--promise not honored.

2) Promised "luxury" vacation - DEF not honored. Terrible rooms, service, 45 minute wait for a drinks, 60 minute wait on dessert. Room A/C did not function properly. Drinks not timely restocked in room.
    3) Due to inadequate training and improper rescue safety boat, when the water craft capsized my companion, broke his ribs, my wife endure extensive injuries and the medical staff was cavalier at best with "treatment" and when reported to Sandals MGT, they offered an insulting $150 credit on a future trip with Sandals!

4) Overall? If possible, I would give Minus 5 starts. There are many other "all-inclusive" resorts. Book with ANY besides Sandals. Their resorts do NOT live up to the alluring pictures and promises of luxury.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2022

Please be aware of taking trips with Sandals Resorts especially during COVID. My trip was screwed up from the beginning and then was lied to by Sandals employees to cover up their mistakes. I followed the emails I received from Sandals and when I arrived in Barbados I was told I had to quarantine for 5 days out of 7. I had to purchase a flight to another Sandals Resort to enjoy my trip. On the return flight, I followed Sandals again even after I told them my situation and was again forced to quarantine at the airport. My wife and I travel to the Caribbean every year, but I will never again use Sandals for my vacations. Please be aware and choose another resort who will take better care of you.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2021

False Advertisement! Ugh! We were falsely lured into booking this trip: the rooms were shockingly bare, the little furniture it had was way past its prime and the food was bad, bad, bad! Worse, they saw, with their eyes, how extremely disappointed we were and they did nothing, nothing to soothe our expressive sorrow. And, if you happen to be a vegetarian, good luck finding something to eat. No one, not one single Sandals person was professional. Oh, one more thing: finding a used glove in the bathroom upon return to our room was the finishing touch. We have sent emails and make phone calls for restitution, and NOTHING has been done as I write this. Take heed and move on to the next Caribbean island. SANDALS disappoints. Don't be fooled with the photos on their website: take a hard look at ours.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2021

We booked Sandals Grenada to celebrate our 10 year wedding anniversary. We were upgraded from a Swim-up suite to SKY Suite which was great! So we thought…. When we arrived and prior to check-in we were escorted by our butler to a conference room to be tested for COVID. It was not a medical facility – just a make shift area where there was a desk, 2 attendants dressed in hazmat gear behind a partition. Not quite the same hospital facility where we administered PCR COVID tests 2 days prior to our arrival which were NEGATIVE. Once testing was completed we were escorted to our suite which we were delighted to have.

At 8:00am the following morning we received a call from the nursing station stating not to leave the room as my husband and I tested positive for COVID. We were shocked to say the least as we are fully vaccinated and had COVID PCR tests taken 48 hours prior to arrival AND had NO symptoms. I spoke to the Dr. via phone and I explained I was beyond confident we did not have COVID and if we had the slightest symptoms I would have cancelled the trip.

I am aware as a travel industry veteran of the consequences of testing positive for COVID in a country outside of the US. I requested we be retested immediately as it was a false positive result. The Dr. informed us retesting would be done in 5 days in order for the virus take its course as symptoms may not show immediately and could became worse as the days progressed. She also told me to change our flights as we were not going back to the US until we tested negative. My husband could not console me from the crying attack I had. He became very aggressive with the Dr. and demanded we be retested immediately.

A few hours later we received a call from a manager advising we had to be relocated and quarantined in a COVID room/area which was located in another area of the hotel for the remainder of our stay. I requested we stay in the suite, be retested as we were devastated at the thought of spending an indefinite amount of days/weeks in isolation when we did not have COVID. A hotel staff member showed up dressed in hazmat gear and took us to a room on the backside of the hotel where there was a guard walking the perimeter of the room 24/7. No one wanted to come near us and we were treated by the locals as lepers. I cried every day.

Finally we were retested and of course the results were NEGATIVE. I immediately called the airline and booked the next flight out of Grenada which costed an additional $1279. Plus – upon checkout we were charged an additional $1200 for our COVID room. When I asked why - Jeremy ** the Guest Experience Manager said it was protocol. He could not apply payment from the original reservation to the COVID room and Alifa ** would reach out to us to credit our full stay at a 1SKY category. I have not received any communication from her which I’m not surprised. Management was not very compassionate, communicative nor apologetic for the experience we had.

Keeping in mind the wonderful reputation Sandals has as well as my previous stays at Sandals, I perceive this type of treatment as unacceptable and We were shocked at how the ministry of Grenada and Sandals Grenada Management handled our situation. The day after our arrival back home we were re- tested (COVID PCR) as I was raddled by the false positive results. We wanted to ensure we did not have COVID. Our results were once again NEGATIVE.

Needless to say based on this experience our memories of our wedding anniversary vacation were ruined. I've reached out to the Sandals Management team and they have not stepped up to the plate to help us and I’m devastated over the way were treated. We traveled to Grenada in Sept and to this day Management has not made retribution for the 10K we lost due to this experience. If this the way Sandals handles customer issues please be aware if this happens to you. You will not be compensated.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2021

We booked a trip to Turks and Caicos via Beaches Resorts by Sandals, our flight with American Airlines home from Turks and Caicos was canceled 4 hours prior to departure. We were offered an alternative flight 2 days away. Clearly, this was not an option for us, so I booked flights emergently with another airline for that day. I notified American Airlines upon arriving home on 10/30/21 and requested a refund. On 11/1/21, I spoke w/ American Airlines again to confirm our refund, they confirmed the refund was sent to Sandals and should be available within 5 business days. I have spoken to Sandals 5 times and reached out via email 3 times and yet to have received my airline refund (for 5 tickets). They continuously tell me it's in process and have not received funds from American Airlines.

This evening I reached (yet again) to Beaches and the staff member said they received the refund from AA and I should be expecting it in 5-7 days. When I asked the refund total, she was unable to answer the question. I was left on hold for 25 minutes. She then came back and said "the last agent I just spoke with said we did not receive the refund from AA yet." She apologized for the discrepancy and then somehow another, we got disconnected.... American Airlines has advised me to file a formal complaint at this point which I am in the process of doing, additionally, I will file with BBB. Customer Service has been terrible.

Sandals Resorts Company Information