1.63/5

Caribbean Chain

198 Sandals Resorts Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 8, 2019

I checked in on April 30 and stayed 7 days and I have never seen so many workers so happy and willing 2 go out their way 2 please you and make you comfortable. I did not experience nor hear anyone say anything bad About any of the 3 resorts. They all are so clean and well kept. They will blow your mind with hospitality. I'm so satisfied. Truly an amazing experience.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

After reading some of the reviews I felt I had to put a few words about Sandals based on our experiences. My wife and I have been frequenting Sandals resorts for many years and enjoyed over 190 nights at various Sandals in the Caribbean. Our experiences have always been one of total relaxation amoung staff who have gone out of their way to fulfill all our needs. The level of professionalism and attention to detail shown by each member of staff makes you want to return again and again. If you want to enjoy that special vacation while being looked after by your own personal butler and resort staff that are really passionate about making your stay the best it can be then Sandals is the place to be.

Get expert buying tips about Hotel Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

First time staying at all inclusive Sandals in Grenada. Cannot say enough good things. Not only were the staff helpful, friendly and always accommodating but the restaurants were so very nice. Food served was exceptional. Our room was the lower cost room but was much better than expected. Bar was stocked fully. Even had turndown service every night. Anything we needed all we had to do was ask. My husband and I were so impressed we made reservations for next year at the Sandals in St. Lucia.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

We have been on a Sandals Vacation 8 times and I will never go elsewhere for a couple's vacation. Sandals Royal Caribbean x2, Royal Bahamian x2, Grande Antigua, Ochi, Sandals Montego Bay and Halcyon. No complaint and only great experiences!!

Original review: May 29, 2019

My wife and I were really looking forward to this trip for our 27th Wedding anniversary, especially after all the great things we heard about Sandals Resort in Negril, Jamaica. To celebrate, I upgraded our package to the highest level outside of the butler services they offer. It wasn't cheap either. I booked us in the Caribbean Beachfront Grande Luxe Club Level Room w/ Balcony Tranquility Soaking Tub thinking this would be great to just sit in the tub and watch the sun go down with my wonderful wife. Sadly, It didn't turn out that way and it definitely wasn't because of the employees at Sandals. They were absolutely fantastic and the bright spot in our stay there. First Impressions are everything…

Well I should have known from the start it wouldn't be so great. As soon as we were taken to the bus for our ride to the hotel, we had a bad feeling. (So did other passengers by the way.) We expected Sandals to have their own transportation/buses. You would think that people spending over 4k for a weekend would get to ride in style but not here. They used 3rd party transportation that was cramped, with our luggage piled up in the back two rows of seats! Once we arrived at the hotel things got a little better but only because of the staff. As part of our package we were brought up to a different area to check in since we were Club Level Guests. It was nice not to have to wait in line with a ton of people checking in but it seemed this was just a way to justify the price.

We were greeted by staff and given some complimentary drinks which were wonderful. The concierge and staff were just as wonderful. They got us checked in in a timely manner and were taken to our rooms and shown the grounds along the way. Great service here. Once we got to our rooms we started to notice some things. And not in a good way. Call me picky but here is what I thought about our stay and the condition of the resort. (I have pics and video of what I write below.)

1. Our very first impression in our room was as soon as we walked in along the baseboard. By the table and 2 chairs, along the the baseboards was water damage that was covered up. Not very appealing. This doesn’t look very good to someone who hasn’t been to one of your resorts before. It also leads me to believe that there could be a problem with the structural integrity of the building as water leaks are NEVER GOOD if not corrected in a timely manner. Our first thoughts when I pointed this out to my wife was, “Wow. That’s not good!”

2. Also not a good first impression was the glass top on the dresser holding the TV. The glass had a painted back to make it look frosted but it was flaking off and it looked horrible. Something you would expect from a Super 8, not a $4000.00 room! It is a very easy fix as well as all you would need to do is just replace the glass piece. This was a head scratcher.

3. Next was the shower. Although cool with the double shower heads, it was not very practical. It had no door so when you showered you had to put a towel down so the floor didn't get soaked and cause a fall. It was very slippery when wet and we almost fell a few times on the tile floor when it was wet.) It also was very uncomfortable as you would freeze when you had to put soap in your hair or wash your body because of the lack of a door. WE DID NOT LIKE THE SHOWER AT ALL.

4. THE TRANQUILITY TUB! Where do I start? I thought this would be a great addition to our trip. Boy was I wrong! Not only was it not as private as we had hoped for but for starters the water was so hot we HAD TO WAIT FOR AN HOUR FOR IT TO COOL DOWN TO USE IT. THERE WASN’T ANY COLD WATER. Just hot water no matter what we did to the valve.

Then there was the privacy issue. With a tub like this you would expect a little privacy with the curtain that was provided but it stops short by about a foot and the neighbors could see in when they walk by. This was because the way the building was set up, our stairs were shared with the Butler service room next door so when the other people in that room had to come or go, they walked right by our balcony and could see in even with the privacy curtain pulled all the way. This was disappointing because we were really looking forward to that.

Then once we got in we were startled by the water dripping in the tub from the overhead light. Yes you read that right. The overhead light in the ceiling above the tub was filled with water from the balcony above. It was pouring rain out and there was obviously a water leak in the balcony above, and it was draining into the light fixture above the tub. We are so glad we didn’t turn the light on! (I have a video of this too.)

5. The overall condition of the resort was average. I know the resort is getting up there in age compared to the other resorts but it could really use a facelift. The tiles in the pool area were falling off in areas and the wood was showing signs of rot in other areas. The walkways were very slippery when they were wet throughout the resort. The bar/wall surrounding the chefs in the Italian restaurant had tiles missing. This looked horrible. I guess this is might be acceptable if we stayed at a hotel half that price but I did not expect it from Sandals.

I am sorry to sound so petty and nitpicky but when we choose a resort like Sandals for a vacation, we expect a little more. It saddens me to even have to write this because your staff was worth every penny. From our arrival to departure, the staff was wonderful, fun and attentive. Sadly the resort doesn’t do them justice. Respectfully, Nick **

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sandals & Beaches Resorts?

Original review: May 22, 2019

Be careful when checking in. They will tell you that you have to put up a $400 deposit for incidentals. When you check out they will tell you it takes 3-weeks to get your money refunded. This wasn't stated in any of the paperwork when we booked our trip and is totally unacceptable. This is what happens when you stay outside of the U.S..

Original review: May 22, 2019

Our experience at Sandals Royal Barbados was terrible, so much so that we feel we wasted thousands of dollars. After having grand experiences at Whitehouse (Jamaica), and St. Lucia, and gifting our son a honeymoon at Monterey Bay, we decided to try out Barbados in a suite with Concierge service. To say that was a mistake would be an understatement. There was complete chaos at the airport awaiting the bus to transport us to the resort, no warm towels offered (as advertised) upon arrival. Everyone was ushered into the Concierge office which was overcrowded. There were not enough welcome cocktails for everyone and with only 2 workers there, it took a long time to register the guests. We tried to make our restaurant reservations upon check-in but were told they didn't have time as they were too busy.

We returned the next morning to make our reservations and had our list and preferred dates. We given cards to bring to the restaurants and thinking that we were all set, went about our day. When we checked the cards the next day we found that the one restaurant we told the Concierge we did not want (as neither of us like Japanese food) we found 2 reservations for that very restaurant. We returned to the Concierge to report the error and fix the reservations for the correct restaurants. We were told, "The restaurants aren't answering phones and we would have to come back again the next morning. There are other restaurants that don't need reservations you can use." Returning once again we returned and was told, "All reservations are full but there are other restaurants that don't require reservations." No apology, no offering to try to fit us in anywhere --- nothing.

We were at Sandals to celebrate our 38th anniversary as we have on our other trips to Sandals. They were informed by phone, online, and to the Concierge at which restaurant we wanted to celebrate. We arrived dressed up and happy only to find no acknowledgment whatsoever about this milestone. Housekeeping was another issue. One night we returned to find one bath towel and 3 bath mats. We had to call housekeeping to await bath towels, washcloths, and hand towels.

Each day there was a different assortment of linens. The workers are not friendly and ignore you when you pass even with a greeting. Just plain rude. We have reservations for the Bahamas next year and will cancel and join our friends on a River Cruise instead which they have had nothing but raves about after several. The final insult is that it has been over a month since I contacted Sandals customer service about this issue and have never received a reply. Buyer beware ---- go elsewhere!

Original review: May 17, 2019

We had a lot of things promised to us for our wedding that were not delivered. There has been a major break in communication between our pre-wedding planner, Patrice, and Yanique, our wedding team here onsite.

1) When we had our wedding meeting on Monday, Yanique was not aware of any of our previous selections, made with our pre-wedding planner before arriving.
***2) We upgraded our wedding cake to butter cream frosting and no fondant, with cascading flowers, and when we showed up to our wedding it was MELTING fondant with the regular placed flowers.
3) We paid $200 extra for an hour of wedding photography at sunset, and we met 3 other couples onsite that received an hour of photography at sunset for FREE.
4) We were told we could do our candlelight dinner right after the photography hour, from 5:30-6:30, and dinner at 7:00. When we arrived we were told we only had the dinner option of 6:00 or 8:30.
5) We were told we could have our candle light dinner in the over the water gazebo, but when we arrived we were told that location was not an option.
6) We ordered chocolate covered strawberries at an additional cost, for our candle light dinner, and we got mixed fruit instead of strawberries.

7) The quality and taste of the food at our candle light dinner was gross. Our steaks were served over cooked, even more than well done when we ordered medium... And my shrimp was raw! We didn’t even eat the food or the chocolate covered fruit.

8) We ordered room service the day of our wedding, after our reception, before our sunset hour photos... And the room service never came. We called to ask them about it 2 hours after ordering it. And they said it would be here soon. Then, they called 20 or so minutes later to say they never put the order in and asked us what we wanted. By then we had to leave the room so we didn’t have time to order.

9) We were told we could travel between resorts for free on the Sandals shuttle. We went to arrange a trip to Sandals Negril, and we were asked to pay $210 for a taxi service to take us. When we asked about the free bus ride we were promised and they said that South Coast is not included in that perk. Well, our planner knew we were staying at South Coast when they told us it was?

10) We have yet to be impressed by the food. It is poor quality, similar to a cafeteria, not 5 star at all.
***11) We told our pre-wedding planner, and Yanique with our wedding team here that we are taking my last name. Everything says Mr. and Mrs. “His Last Name”, so I won’t be able to keep any keepsakes for memories from the wedding because they all say the wrong name.

12) Multiple times we have ordered food, dessert and drinks at the restaurants and the server said they would have it right out but it never came. I put ***’s by 2 and 11, because those were the most important.

Last, I talked to the manager, Heidy-Ann this morning, and she was very nice and helpful. She offered us a day trip to Negril, but we felt it was too late to go since it is a far drive. She is also offering to fix the top tier of the cake we want to take home. However, no one comped the strawberries we didn’t get, no one comped the extra hour we paid for that we could have gotten free, no one offered any discounts or nice things to help make up for Sandals pretty much ruining our wedding day.

I am happy we didn’t invite anyone to the wedding with us. I would have actually been embarrassed to have guests pay thousands of dollars to experience the unorganized event, and bad food. And I am sad that this is my husband's first trip to Sandals. He will probably never want to come back. And it is my 4th trip, so I know how great the trip can be... He is convinced we overpaid for a mediocre vacation.

With all of that being said, we would like to also say that overall the customer service has been great. Everyone from Club Sandals is fantastic! Ryan, Chloe, Bernetta, Chantelle, and a couple others that I cannot remember their names have been great! Literally everyone in Club Sandals is fantastic! Lafem from candle light dinner was great as well. Our photographer, John ** was a dream come true! He captured our wedding photos in a magical way. We will be forever grateful for him, and his talent. He was absolutely perfect. Jody-Ann, in the photo shop was wonderful and patient helping us pick out the photos we wanted to purchase. Sheraton was great as a videographer for our wedding. We decided not to purchase the video, because of a couple of small details, but we loved it and she was very nice as well.

Original review: May 7, 2019

Buyer Beware, Sandals strongly recommends that you purchase trip insurance and claims that it makes your money full refundable. The truth is that I recently had to use the trip insurance due to illness. After a great deal of effort, I received two travel vouchers and figured that since they would not refund me my money like the advertisement says, this would be an acceptable solution. What it did not say was that you have exactly one year to use your vouchers or you just lose your money. You should find a non Sandals owned company if you are looking for all inclusive. This company seems to have dishonest people at the top.

Original review: April 30, 2019

Be very careful when booking with Sandals Resorts. They do not honor their cancellation policy! I booked a trip last year and made several payments and had to cancel 90 days out, and they are fighting with me regarding my refund. I am well within the time frame for a full refund to be issued according to their cancellation policy. They told me a full refund would be issued within 7-10 business days, but that didn't happen. I have spoken to them several times regarding my refund and every time it's a different story to why I haven't received my refund. Now, I am contacting my bank to dispute the charges. This whole experience has become a vacation hassle. They use an outside source to handle payments (Unique Vacations). Sandals has to discuss your account with them, they won't give you the phone number to call them directly. Do not trust Sandals Resorts or Unique Vacations!

Original review: April 26, 2019

The Bahamas are a beautiful place, but Sandals turned what was supposed to be a joyous occasion and vacation into a nightmare. I have a seafood allergy. Sandals was notified 4 months in advance, reminded one week prior to arrival, and then confirmed again with their "culinary concierge" when I checked in. They confirmed each time that it will not be an issue and that I have nothing to worry about... yet three hours after check in, 20 minutes into my first meal, and I am in an ambulance going to the hospital.

Sandals was unapologetic, unhelpful, and in general dismissive. The "all-inclusive" was ruined as I no longer felt safe eating on their property. The hospital stay cost me a day of the vacation (thankfully not my life). And the hospital bill has caused financial distress. Sandals latest response was "we are looking into it and will get back". The Bahamas are worth your visit, Sandals does not deserve your business. And if you still choose to go here and you have any dietary restrictions DO NOT trust them.

Original review: April 3, 2019

Sandals Ochi Resort in Ochi Rios, Jamaica - I would recommend any Vegans to stay away from them. It was the WORST vacation I ever had. We went to Sandals in Jamaica. We let them know we were gluten-free vegans and they told us we would have plenty of choices. When we had dinner the one night, our 2 butlers told them we were gluten-free vegan as did the waiter. They fed us dairy in our food and chicken - told me it was tofu. We were both sick for a few days. We had tortilla chips for lunch multiple days & went off resort for a few meals. I would have had a better time at the Hilton. Would NEVER go there again & NOT recommend it to anyone else! To make matters worse, another person told me they did the same thing to someone at their table in the same restaurant 2 hours later. The management refused to make good on this - told us we can have 2 days free on our next stay - this will never happen as we will never go back!

Original review: March 27, 2019

My husband and I stayed at this resort the week of Thanksgiving 2018, and we were so disappointed for the $$$ we spent. Here are few things you will expected if you decided to stay here: Small beach, old furniture, some staffs are very rude, noisy, very limited food options, A/C did not worked, pool was dirty, water cloudy, take ever to order a drink, many local selling marijuana by the beach, lack of snack, small resort, and the bedroom is the worst as we stayed in the budget room and we experienced the worse room that we ever stayed, dark, old bathroom, no bathrobe, no slipper, old vanity, A/C did not work in the room, old couch, bathtub is so small, and no window or balcony.

The Motel 6 room much better. The room that we stayed (I lost many nights of sleep because they put us right above the lobby and no A/C). We filed the complained with Sandals and they want to give us 25k sandals point = $250 :) (We paid $5000 for hotel/one week). Don't stay at this resort, believe me it was not worth it.

Original review: March 27, 2019

My husband and I booked a Sandals Barbados get away with three other couples. We had recommended Sandals to them as we had vacationed at Sandals Negril 20 years prior and had a wonderful time. Unfortunately our Sandals Barbados trip from 1-26-2019 to 2-2-2019 was horribly disappointing. The overall customer service was little to non existent. If you didn't have butler service you felt like a second class citizen. One morning my things were taken off the lounge chair I had been using when I had gone into breakfast.

When I returned, the lady who had the lounge next to me told me someone from the dive shop had removed my personal belongings and gave my chair to another guest. When I went to the dive shop they claimed they didn't have my things and that I needed to go to lost and found. I was livid that my things had been stolen by staff members. My husband and I were paying $1000.00 a day for this kind of treatment? I was near tears because I felt violated that my things had been taken, and no staff members, even in the lost and found, would help me or showed any compassion.

My husband combed the beach and found my book and the $27 dollar bottle of sunscreen that I had purchased the day before in the Sandals gift shop, wrapped up in a Sandals towel and thrown onto a hammock. On top of that, our maid service was terrible, our room was always made up at the end of the day, the mini bar was never restocked, and coffee wasn't replenished in our room, not even when I called maid service and asked to have it replenished. The last day I was there, I slipped and fell in the bowling alley on the premises where the lanes had been recently oiled, landing my right hand.

The nurse on the premises incorrectly wrapped my wrist and wanted me to see one of their doctors in town but at that point I just wanted to get out of there and go home. Luckily one of the gal's in our group was a nurse and correctly rewrapped my wrist and put ice on it for me. When I got home, we drove immediately to Urgent Care where my hand was Xrayed and treated for a fractured radius (wrist). Since Sandals red flagged me, due to the accident, I was unable to give a review, that's why I am giving it here. Buyer beware when booking at Sandals. I personally will never book at another Sandals resort. It was a very expensive trip to be treated so horribly!

Original review: March 5, 2019

Hands down worst Sandals resort out there. Management is clueless as too many things happened for them to truly be involved. Stolen items. No service. Ran out of beer and water at every bar and every day. Dangerous environment with lack of supervision. Too many things to discuss in this short area.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

We spent over $10,000 attending Sandals Royal Bahamian for our Honeymoon, wanting to have a relaxing time after an extremely busy year. Unfortunately, the end of our stay put a huge damper on our honeymoon when my husband had to step in as security for the resort to prevent other guests from being harmed by a huge and belligerent guest who was drinking, doing drugs, and threatening others. My husband (a large man himself and a former Marine), felt he had no choice but to try to deescalate the situation when the guest was threatening and putting his hands on another guest and family. The guest ended up pushing my husband when he tried reasoning with him, and then barricaded himself, my husband and 2 other guests in the bathroom, not letting them out and threatening to "get wild."

Obviously terrified, we asked for security and out came one 90 lbs woman along with an older heavy set man who did not help at all. THAT WAS THEIR IDEA OF SECURITY. At that point, I felt I had no choice but to call the police, and the woman "security" guard refused to give me the Bahamian version of 911's number because she did not want the attention. She would have rathered my husband end up in the hospital so they could just cover it up later. I ended up calling anyway in fear that my husband and other guests would be badly hurt by this man who was basically holding them hostage in the bathroom. Once the belligerent guest heard I had called the police, he let them out and went back to his room (probably because no one wants to go to jail in a foreign country).

The General Manager of the resort, Lucky, also was called. However, the police did nothing (wouldn't even file a report even though they showed up with machine guns), and once the GM finally decided the guest needed kicked out (before they were saying they couldn't because he was a "guest' too), they could not control him and were afraid of him as well. I could not believe that the resort had no security measure in place for something like this. We did not want to spend our honeymoon and $10,000 for my husband to keep others safe and be afraid for our safety.

When I brought this up to the GM, he said it was due to a "lack of talent on the island." They market the resort as safe, secure, and luxurious when in reality, if something happens law enforcement and the resort will do nothing to keep you safe. The GM told us he would make it up to us and we wanted to give him the chance to. However, he then offered us 1 free night to come back which is completely unacceptable and does not cut it. In my opinion, the GM Lucky should be paying my husband for his security work that night. Don't think that because you are on a resort that you are safe. They give you that impression but it is false.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

My partner had an emergency and was unable to fly and attend the $4500 trip. Upon my arrival, I was treated with hostility and disrespect. There is no regard to customer service at Sandals. I was told that I would not be allowed to stay at the resort and had to find other accommodations because I was traveling alone. I had flown all day, I was not offered lunch, dinner or even a bottle of water. Had to contact Delta Vacations and received help finding other hotel that I had to pay for, again! I will go out of my way to refuse and boycott anything Sandals in the future. Sandals Resorts is the Worst! Get treated like a second class citizen with your own money. Disappointing and embarrassing at best.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

My husband and I had a 1 year anniversary trip booked to Sandals in St. Lucia but I lost my job two weeks ago and we cannot afford this trip. We have three kids and without my income we can barely afford to pay bills and eat and they refuse to refund me and putting me through the wringer. We added travel protection but I’m not being guided on how I can make my claim and I Spoke to Brentlyn and I specifically asked for more clarification on how I go about processing a claim and he was so unclear so I asked for a supervisor numerous times to which he told me no. He then proceeded to tell me that I would lose about 550 in non refundable fees. How could you people do this to a family struggling and going through a really difficult time. When We booked this trip we did not foresee me losing my job 6 months later. How disgusting, unhelpful and downright inhumane to do this to people in a time of need.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

If you don't read the fine print you will find this out the hard way. Sandals charges you about the same price as the airline does for main cabin... Then you find out they have actually booked you BASE Economy which is basically, charge for luggage, no reserve seats, no guarantee that you won't get bumped. So it's a much lower value ticket than what they charge you... End of the story. My wife and I going on our 40th anniversary trip, but of us Platinum Level Delta, will be seating apart, in the back, middle seats. So I no longer see Sandals as a TOP agent... Good resorts but watch your back.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

Been coming to Sandals for years, always gave it rave reviews, this trip, not so good. Let me start by saying our butler Nicole is the very best. Ask for her, she goes above and beyond. First night exceptional, not sure we booked the room we got but it works. Walkout butler suite beachfront, thought we booked the larger room but we had to switch dates so maybe the mix up happened then. Either way service and food is great. Our bed night 2 we noticed sheets were stained, looked like blood (not from us) butler immediately had housekeeping come. They came but room they kept sheets in was locked so she the housekeeper had to call our butler to unlock her area where sheets was. She kept our door open for the 30 minutes we waited for the new sheets (maybe it’s policy that they keep door open) but apparently from the door being open our room got infested with sand flies. My wife got bit during the night 20 times! Horrible raised bites.

Our butler offered to go get my wife Crete (at our cost) and had room sprayed. We had to stay out of room for 1 hour which was no big deal. After bug spraying we still noticed a few flying around, that night again bitten 10 times and up itching most of the night. We now are upset, and vacation is not enjoyable. We asked for a different room, first conversation was can’t get new room until the next night, we said, "That won’t cut it for us," waiting to see what they come up with. More to come! Sadly on our first night prior to now 40 bites, we already booked our next Sandals at a penthouse suite at Royal Bohemian. Depending on what they do, we may cancel next trip and go to the competitor which I never thought I would say.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

Below is an email written upon our return from Sandals Royal Bahamian. We submitted it to our travel agent who offered to try to get resolution before we decided to post our review on various sites. After two months, Sandals idea of a resolution was to offer us 500 points to use for another Sandals vacation. I would not go on another Sandals vacation for free.

Friday, November 16, 2018 - Upon arrival with two other couples we were escorted into the main lobby for a lengthy check-in of approximately 45 minutes. Our greeter, Lee, spent most of this time apologizing for this long wait. When we were finally issued a key and escorted to the room we discovered luggage that did not belong to us. More apologies as the staff searched for our luggage. Mind you, only three sets of luggage came off our van transport from the airport. While the staff searched for the luggage we toured our room to discover that the much anticipated "Windsor Honeymoon Oceanview Club Level Suite", room 1310, had a very limited ocean view. In fact, you can only see the ocean from the far right corner of the balcony. Very misleading and disappointing.

We immediately approached the concierge desk to request a room with an ocean view and although the reservations could clearly show who was arriving and departing, we were told we had to come back the next day to see what may be available. We were told to lightly unpack so if a room became available we could change rooms. After returning to room 1310 to situate our belongings, we relaxed before heading to Spices for dinner. When we arrived at approximately 6:15 pm, we were told that there was a 45 minute wait. This was the first of many times that we found the wait times were much longer than the hostess communicated. When we were finally seated we observed many open tables indicating that the restaurants were either understaffed through lack of available employees or by poor planning. In addition, napkins were not provided until we asked for them halfway through dinner.

Saturday, November 17, 2018 - We started the day with breakfast at Spices. We were offered Mimosas that never arrived. After finishing our breakfast, Larry had to leave his seat to track down our server to inquire about the status of the Mimosas. After breakfast we checked with the concierge regarding the availability of a new room. We were offered room 1419 which provided the advertised ocean view. We packed our luggage and brought it to the concierge desk by 11 am as instructed. We were told that room 1419 would not be available until 1:30 pm at the earliest. We were allowed to bring our luggage into room 1419 instead of leaving it at the desk.

A shame that our first observation in room 1419 was ripped carpet as we entered the living area. We would now be without private quarters for 2 and a half hours. We inquired about dinner reservations with the concierge only to find out that they were fully booked Friday and Saturday. The first available was Sunday night at either 5:30 or 9:00 pm. We did make a reservation for 5:30 on Sunday at Baccarat and one on Monday at Kimonos for 7:00 pm. We decided to make the most of our 2 and a half hour wait by heading to the beach. To our dismay, after a thorough search of the premises, we were unable to find any clean towels and had to go back to the front desk to ask for towels. Again, many apologies. Arriving at the beach we found it to be very small and crowded. There was very little space between occupied chairs.

Sunday, November 18, 2018 - Breakfast at Baccarat also included a very long wait. Upon seating we were once again offered Mimosas that never arrived. After we ordered our food, two other tables were seated. These tables were able to order, eat their breakfast and depart before we were even served our breakfast. When our open-face omelette and French toast came to the table, the omelette was room temperature and the French toast was cold. We did not send the food back because we already found ourself spending too much time waiting in lines and for food instead of having fun or relaxing on the beach.

At one point we bumped into Lee who asked about our stay so far and when we expressed our disappointment he summoned his manager. She only offered apologies and asked that we give her "opportunity". She also stated that we would get a call from food service because these poor restaurant experiences "should never happen." We never received a call throughout our entire stay. On Sunday, Larry found out by accident while speaking to Jade at the main lobby that she was our personal concierge which we didn't even know we had. Also, he overheard from another desk clerk that there were many tours available of which we were not informed.

The island boat provided to the "private island" does not have enough departures and arrivals nor did the crew adhere to the schedule as posted on the board at the dock. The crew seemed to come and go at their leisure. Example, one boat was leaving the pier at 9:30 am. The first posting is 10:00 am. There was a mass of people waiting for the boat with no semblance of order. There should have been an attendant to organize a line and inform passengers of wait time. In addition, we heard that there were non-Sandals guests who were vying for seats on the boat who had come from cruise ships or other resorts. As we approached the island on the boat we were told that the private island was in reality, shared with some other entity and that we must stay to the right of the concrete wall.

While on the island we decided to have lunch at Schooners at 1:40 pm. The hostess said the wait time would be 45 minutes but gave us the option of take-out which she stated should be only 15 minutes. We decided on the take-out since we wanted to make the 2:50 boat ride back to Sandals for our complimentary photo shoot at 4 pm. After waiting 42 minutes, we were told that the rum cake was the hold up. After another 8 minutes we were finally given our lunch and the rum cake and told NOW that our appetizer was not ready. We took the food we had to a nearby bench seat and I waited to eat as Larry went back to check on the appetizer.

When he returned with the appetizer we opened our take-out containers to eat. Within two minutes we noticed that the boat crew had approached the dock earlier than scheduled. We quickly inhaled our meal so that we would be able to get a seat on the boat. As we approached the dock we realized that the line was too long and we would not get a seat. We had no option other than to wait for the next boat. We realized that we were not going to make our 4:00 photo shoot because the next possible departure from the island was 3:50 pm. As a side note, If we had been initially told that the food would take an hour we would have relaxed on the beach (as vacations should be) and came back instead of waiting around the restaurant area in the hot sun.

Sunday night we attempted to go to Gordons, a non-reservation restaurant, only to be told that the wait was an hour and 15 minutes. There again we cited that there were many open tables only to be told by the hostess that those were reserved for couples with a butler. Instead of waiting more than an hour we settled on the Crystal Room.

All of these disappointments were within 24 hours of our arrival. We have been to many islands that included stays in Sandals Montego Bay and Dunns River, Beaches at Turks and Caicos, Rosewood Resorts on Virgin Gorda and St. Johns as well as many resorts that were not all inclusive. We had experienced more disappointment in the Sandals Royal Bahamian in two days than we had in all of our other travels combined and there was more to come. In addition, throughout our stay we overheard many conversations of other disgruntled guests.

Monday, November 19, 2018 - A second chance at the island with experience under our belt we approached the hostess for lunch at an earlier time closer to 1 pm and was told the wait would be approximately 15-20 minutes. Again this was unnecessary because there were many open tables. During our lunch we noticed that there were about ten couples experiencing the same situation that we had encountered the previous day waiting more than an hour although eight table were open.

Monday evening at 5:30 pm we called room service to order a cheese plate. The phone rang 20 times with no answer, we called the concierge desk and was told the room service number we dialed was correct and they transferred our call only to have it ring 20 times again. Larry reluctantly took the elevator down four floors and walked the entire length of the building to the front desk and spoke with Johnny, the concierge. Johnny remembered transferring Larry's call and said he would try the call himself. When Johnny dialed the number and it rang for the first time, he handed Larry the phone. On the 15th ring, Larry turned the phone toward Johnny and let it ring five more times and asked when HIS patience would be exhausted. Johnny agreed, hung up, and tried some other number and reached a person who was finally able to accept the room service order.

Later that evening at Kimonos the hostess was unable to locate another couples reservation even though they had confirmed the reservation three times. This delayed our seating because they were one of the six couples that each hibachi grill accommodates. The lady was absolutely livid and at her breaking point about her entire stay. We were all finally seated but none of us should have to experience the lack of service and frustration we all endured at a so-called "5" star resort. Tuesday, November 20, 2018 - Our expectations diminished and our patience exhausted we decided to just lay on the beach and drink. If we did nothing then nothing could go wrong. The only service we hoped to request was from housekeeping, however, they never answered the phone.

Wednesday, November 21, 2018 - On our final day at Sandals, based on our experience with the resorts prior mishandling of our luggage, we walked our luggage out to the curb and we watched it get loaded onto the bus. As the bus pulled away, one of the passengers thought he noticed one of his bags still on the sidewalk and informed the driver. The driver reluctantly turned the bus around while arguing that many suitcases look similar and questioned whether the guest had identified his luggage prior to departure. The gentleman confirmed that he had identified his luggage and when the bus returned to where the baggage had been loaded it was in fact still there on the curb along with another couple's luggage. Thus making this vacation a debacle from the first minute to the last.

Other notes - The billiard room contained two billiard tables. One of the tables was off level and allowed all shots to veer to the right and the billiard balls themselves were chipped; had divots. An easy fix. Level the table and purchase two new sets of billiard balls. The billiard room was uncomfortable and not properly ventilated. The ceiling fan provided no relief. Each guest that spent time in the room had the same complaint.

Sandals Royal Bahamian website advertises robes in every room, none were provided in either room 1310 or 1419. A bathroom door should separate the sleeping quarters so that the entire area is not lit up in the middle of the night when someone is sleeping. Staff should resolve issues and accommodate guests instead of the guest continually having to approach the staff at the lobby desk. Service was exceptionally slow (not just island time) and very lackluster, almost disinterested. We spent hours and hours of our vacation waiting in lines and for service, while getting frustrated time and time again. We experienced more stress on vacation at Sandals Royal Bahamian than we would in a typical work week. Highlights - Mercedes and Darius were excellent servers.

This was a surprise birthday gift to Larry. Imagine my frustration and disappointment when I watched all of my expectations fall apart. Larry had to be the one to resolve what he could because I was beside myself. We will never recommend Sandals Royal Bahamian to anyone, instead we will discourage anyone from going on a Sandals resort vacation through Yelp, my travel agent, word of mouth and other various social media. We intentionally took no pictures advertising Sandals or purchased any merchandise promoting Sandals.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

Spent nearly $7,000 on a trip to St. Lucia 5* resort at Sandals. Dec. 2018. Food was never hot, cold food was NOT Cold. Fruit flies were in all the fruit, Nothing was covered. The cats and birds in the restaurant were horrible. Our room was no better than a cheap motel room. We upgraded because we were told that we would have all inclusive alcohol beverages. You do not have to upgrade for that, they are included for everyone. Our room was stocked with liquor that we do not drink and could not change it. Most of the food was not fit for consumption. Food poisoning written all over it. The gift shop charged $30.00 for suntan lotion. Sandals refuses to give an email address for the corporate office. Do NOT waste your money. Plane tickets could have been bought a lot cheaper without having them exclusive. It cost me an extra 500.00 to upgrade our plane seats to have more leg room.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

BEWARE! We were at the Sandals Riviera on our honeymoon. We went snorkeling the first 2 days we were there. On the 3rd day we both came down with MICROPLASMA PNEUMONIA. That's not your everyday cold. The Sandals staff advised us to go to see the Sandals doctor. The doctor administered antibiotic injections to each of us and gave us a Z-pak. THE COST WAS $1500.00 PER PERSON. REALLY The doctor advised us to seek medical treatment immediately upon returning to the USA. The snorkels smelled moldy and dirty. We asked if they had been disinfected and they said that they were washed with MILD DETERGENT AND VINEGAR. They were stored on the boat in wet dirty lockers. We ended up with sores in our mouths.

If the snorkels and the snorkel tubes were not the cause of the infections then there must have been a problem with an unsanitary environment in the kitchen, the staff not washing their hands or maybe eating utensils and drinking glasses were to blame. Nevertheless we were extremely sick and required over a month on various antibiotics before we were healthy again.

We were lying at the pool one day and noticed that the pool water which had been clear when we arrived had become very murky. You no longer could see the bottom. We told the pool staff and they did nothing to rectify the problem. We never saw anyone test the pool water or add chlorine. It looked like a cesspool at the end of the day. The bacteria count must have been over any acceptable health dept. standards. If they have any??? Sandals is not a resort that cares about its guests' health.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

Tonight is our last night here, it is my 3rd full day of food poisoning. We only had a day and a half of normal, healthy vacation. This was supposed to be a special birthday week for my husband. This was a big deal trip. Positives: easy transportation to and from airport, club or butler level gets you a good view and room service, pizza is good. The facts: on December 20th we ate at Kimonos with another family of 7. 3 of us ended up with Food Poisoning because of our menu picks. My husband only had stomach/bathroom issues. The 3 of us were bedridden for days.

On December 21st I asked my husband to call medical since my pain and sickness was not improving. The nurse did not come, she told my husband to buy $61 worth of medication (which he did) and told me that it would cost ME $200 to get a Dr (I told her I had food poisoning). December 22nd, my husband's birthday. Stayed in bed. No food, barely could keep water in.

December 23rd, still sick. Ate crackers and water. I Contact the manager in afternoon. 5 p.m an assistant office manager contacts me and tells me I need to prove I have food poisoning on my own dime for the hotel to believe I have poisoning (I then made him aware of the 2 others in the dinner group) and he told me there is nothing he can do. After that conversation I had enough adrenaline to take a shower for the first time in days and after I am dressed he happens to stop by. I answer the door, grab his card and told him I want to meet with Matthew, the manager tomorrow morning before leaving.

I am coming from a career of 20 years in 5 star hospitality hotels and four diamond restaurants. I have never treated my customers like this and being in the customer's shoes for the first time in this scenario, it is saddening. I have not experienced five star quality service and this is my first bad review. In addition to this disaster and not getting our money's worth and husband's birthday ruined: 1) Will be going to hospital on "my dime" on Christmas Eve/day back in the States after our 16 hour flight since still in discomfort and pain. 2) Found someone else's dirty socks under bed in room. 3) Need to have your luggage and stuff out of room by 10 a.m. (even though checkout is 11).

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

My husband and I picked Sandals Antigua for our honeymoon destination and we couldn't be less impressed. We came for a 10 days getaway on 17th November. When we arrived we noticed, that they are playing Christmas songs all the time. We have mentioned it to a couple of staff members, but we have heard responses like: "It is a commonly known fact, that in the Caribbean they start playing Christmas songs since mid November" (it's not true, we have been outside the hotel and haven't heard any Christmas music) or "We are playing Christmas songs, so that you get into Christmas spirit and buy Christmas gifts." We were also told that customers are expecting to hear this kind of music. We haven't really met anyone who was satisfied with this choice. I doubt that anyone who comes to Antigua is actually hoping to hear this type of music and especially not six weeks before Christmas.

After two days of this nonsense, I finally emailed UK customer service and they have changed the music, but it took a lot of my effort and discomfort. Music, however, wasn't the only downside of our stay in Sandals. This place is rather expensive and it doesn't really seem like you are getting the kind of experience you would hope for. Yes, the beach is nice and clean, but the food, except for the sushi place is rather bland and mediocre. All the drinks are just full of sugar, the juices they use come from tap water mixed with colored flavoring and frankly they are not juice!

The housekeeping and bar staff spends most time chatting to one another, rather than doing any work. Usually, there are five people behind the bar and one is actually doing any work. On many occasions, I have been waiting for them to finish their chats feeling like an intruder. In the evenings the restaurant stuff practically kicks you out from the restaurants. We went to the Japanese place, where we were set down with a bunch of strangers and neither the waitress nor chef made this experience pleasant. I and my husband left as soon as the food was finished, but the rest of the guests stayed for a drink and they were kicked out and had to walk out of the dark restaurant because staff switched off all the lights. They were people in their 60! They had to use flashlights to walk down the stairs in order to not break their legs. I thought it was outrages and rude.

We wanted to start a diving license for my husband, but after watching the PADI video he got a bit scared and decided to cancel it, for that experience we were told we have to pay 20% cancellation fee, but in the end, we paid $200. I went and complained about the fact that this is not what we signed the receipt for, and was told that this situation will be investigated as I was never even-handed in the receipt I signed (for 20%) not for $200, the manager took my email address and was meant to email me back, but I never got any response. Also, the lady at the front desk of water sports was really rude. This was also mentioned to the manager, but again no response.

The staff, in general, wasn't very friendly, this is something that most of the guests, who have been to other Sandals kept saying. They said this was the least friendly experience with that company, that they had so far! We were constantly harassed by things that they tried to sell to us. Spa appointments, next trips, memberships. We have been getting phone calls, letters to our room as well as staff members coming over to us and asking as if we want to use any of their promotions at least couple of times per day! One of the ladies we met signed up for a seaweed treatment and was informed after she changed, filled in all the paperwork and was just about to receive the treatment, that they will give her a coffee one instead, which wasn't what she booked herself for.

I did send my feedback to the customer service after I returned from the holidays. I was told that they will investigate all the departments and will respond to me in 28 days. The General Manager emailed me back, but he didn't seem to bother to review anything I mentioned. I think he just waited a few weeks to tell me that he is sorry but didn't even say if he spoke to any people I mentioned in my email. And basically just said that this is my opinion. In all honesty, this is just a huge disappointment and waste of money! The entertainment in the hotel is tacky and boring, the food and service are mediocre and I would rather stay somewhere and have a car so I could see different beaches and enjoy the nature and try some local food. I will never travel with Sandals again!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Stayed 11/13-11/20 2018. This is my second all inclusive experience (1st one was not Sandals). Booked this Sandals because people said it would be worth the extra money... Not even close. Didn't realize there are levels in Sandals. I understand would pay more for butler. Was told there was stocked bar. Yes on 1st day there is juice, beer, water, champagne. Asked to switch out as I don't drink these was told, "No your room doesn't rate that service." T.V. in room was broke for 3 days. Had to unplug it from wall to turn off. Asked several times also left note for housekeeping never responded. It only needed a battery for remote. Toilet overflowed had to find maintenance man to fix. Asked for room service for coffee in AM again told "Your room doesn't rate that but there is coffee in lobby in AM."

I can get room service at Holiday Inn, for gosh sakes, and coffee in lobby maybe at 9:15 if lucky. The room we stayed at was in the Balmoral Village. There was a service desk on the main floor but was told they couldn't help us because we didn't rate their service!!! They are Sandals club?? Where are we?? Had to go to front lobby. Oh yes did I mention that my partners is a loyal member 6th trip to Sandals. They lost points, found points and so on. No one knows what the other is doing. One last thing servers wear "no tipping" buttons. It was very evident, being that our $5500 room didn't rate service, which room number is asked for at every restaurant, who was taken care of and who wasn't. Seen many dollar bills being passed to servers, bartenders.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

We were so excited to be attending our daughter’s wedding until we saw our room. We might as well have stayed at a $50/night motel not $500. We were put in one of the older buildings. It was a dungeon. It was dark with two lamps that did not work. I moved the loveseat to see if one of the lamps just needed to be plugged in. The wall socket was taped over and the back of loveseat was damp and mildewed from the window leaking. The bathroom had a small sink. The only light in bathroom was on the ceiling! More darkness.

We reported the lamps being out but they were never fixed other than one bulb being replaced. The lamps rattled around. The description of the room was Caribbean Oceanside. There was no ocean view. We were eventually told that we could have a different room but could not be moved until the day of the wedding at 3pm. The wedding was at 5pm. There was no time to spend moving. The wedding itself was on the beach and quite lovely. However, Sandals photographer did a horrible, unprofessional job. My daughter was in tears after seeing the photo shoot that cost $1600.00! No pictures of her with her father or myself. No photo of the rings.

The guy wandered around aimlessly. Sandals has yet to make that right. They don’t care! They were paid in advance and their solution was to tell my daughter that she keep more pictures! The Sandals DJ played the wrong playlist. Water went out in a bridesmaid’s room and some of the guests' rooms before wedding. People were scrambling around to get showered in friends’s rooms. Other than that it’s a beautiful beach with lots of food and drinks to enjoy. I’ve since been told that there are much better all-inclusive resorts at far better prices in Jamaica. Chalk it up to live and learn.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

Okay, I’m going to write a review after my first night! We are here with my husband’s two brothers and their wives. Oddly enough we were all married in the month of November! We started planning this vacation a year ago and booked through Sandals online. We wanted butler service, mobay and most importantly, we wanted in the same villa!!!

We arrived at the airport, my husband and I were treated horribly by customs staff, we did not receive VIP Mobay Service... That We Paid For! We waited in line instead... our family waited an extra hour on us at the airport. It took two hours to get from the airport to our Ochi Resort, we were told at the most it would be an hour and a half by online rep! We arrived, and the appetizers waiting on our room were all meat and I’m a vegetarian... it was on my preference sheet!!! It was 3 pm and we hadn’t eaten since 6 am! I had to ask for club soda in my fridge... it was on my preference sheet! We were all in separate villas!!! My brother and sister-in-law didn’t have water in their villa! We went to dinner at the restaurant in the main lobby of the resort, and sat for two hours to get our food, that wasn’t top quality as advertised! There was one vegetarian item on the menu! So far it’s not looking promising.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

When I booked, the agent said if I book the airline now, she could get me a better deal. I asked her if the airfare was 100% refundable and she assured me that it was. I trusted her. I went to cancel today because of the increase in ** and ** in Jamaica, especially on the Sandals resort. Needless to say, I'm out that money.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

Room 2013... This was our second trip to a Sandals Resort and the experience was terrible. 3 days without a/c. Concierge was contacted and on the last contact the concierge became very confrontational. Guest service training went out the window. Engineering staff informed management that a/c was not working but chief Engineer insisted it was working. After several attempts to fix a/c we were room changed for the last 2 nights because a/c was not working. Reservations for the exclusive restaurants were hard to get. Had to almost bribe the staff to get into the French restaurant and it was not all that. The Chef at the Japanese restaurant was not impressive and the restaurant at the dock is a waste of time. All this money paid for hamburgers and pizza. Golden Corral has a buffet selection and it is a lot better and cheaper.

However, the Southern Comfort restaurant was great (at least something was). Took a couple of days for Management get involved. Compensation that was offered - 1. a massage for my wife and 2. a 5,000 point equivalent to $150 if we signed a document promising not to post or voice in social media our terrible stay experienced at Sandals Ocho Rios. I have never heard of such a practice. We booked our vacations because of the amazing experience at Montego Bay in 2015. We were offered all the amenities of Montego Bay at Ocho Rios. The salesperson most had been a politician. Nothing like Montego Bay. NOTHING. Resort night life after 11 PM was almost non-existent. I enjoy spending time with my wife but we also wanted to dance and celebrate. Bingo at the local VFW would had been a lot more exciting.

Most of the staff were friendly and welcoming. However, some of the photographers made you feel uncomfortable. Some made comments such as "don't get a ** now" while taking our pictures. These type of comments are not welcoming and humiliating. Coming from a representative of a luxury resort is unacceptable. We spend a lot of money at this resort to be treated like if we were an inconvenience. Don't think we will be coming back to this resort or any other Sandals resorts.

Sandals Resorts Company Information