1.63/5

Caribbean Chain

204 Sandals Resorts Consumer Reviews

Original review: March 5, 2019

Hands down worst Sandals resort out there. Management is clueless as too many things happened for them to truly be involved. Stolen items. No service. Ran out of beer and water at every bar and every day. Dangerous environment with lack of supervision. Too many things to discuss in this short area.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

We spent over $10,000 attending Sandals Royal Bahamian for our Honeymoon, wanting to have a relaxing time after an extremely busy year. Unfortunately, the end of our stay put a huge damper on our honeymoon when my husband had to step in as security for the resort to prevent other guests from being harmed by a huge and belligerent guest who was drinking, doing drugs, and threatening others. My husband (a large man himself and a former Marine), felt he had no choice but to try to deescalate the situation when the guest was threatening and putting his hands on another guest and family. The guest ended up pushing my husband when he tried reasoning with him, and then barricaded himself, my husband and 2 other guests in the bathroom, not letting them out and threatening to "get wild."

Obviously terrified, we asked for security and out came one 90 lbs woman along with an older heavy set man who did not help at all. THAT WAS THEIR IDEA OF SECURITY. At that point, I felt I had no choice but to call the police, and the woman "security" guard refused to give me the Bahamian version of 911's number because she did not want the attention. She would have rathered my husband end up in the hospital so they could just cover it up later. I ended up calling anyway in fear that my husband and other guests would be badly hurt by this man who was basically holding them hostage in the bathroom. Once the belligerent guest heard I had called the police, he let them out and went back to his room (probably because no one wants to go to jail in a foreign country).

The General Manager of the resort, Lucky, also was called. However, the police did nothing (wouldn't even file a report even though they showed up with machine guns), and once the GM finally decided the guest needed kicked out (before they were saying they couldn't because he was a "guest' too), they could not control him and were afraid of him as well. I could not believe that the resort had no security measure in place for something like this. We did not want to spend our honeymoon and $10,000 for my husband to keep others safe and be afraid for our safety.

When I brought this up to the GM, he said it was due to a "lack of talent on the island." They market the resort as safe, secure, and luxurious when in reality, if something happens law enforcement and the resort will do nothing to keep you safe. The GM told us he would make it up to us and we wanted to give him the chance to. However, he then offered us 1 free night to come back which is completely unacceptable and does not cut it. In my opinion, the GM Lucky should be paying my husband for his security work that night. Don't think that because you are on a resort that you are safe. They give you that impression but it is false.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

My partner had an emergency and was unable to fly and attend the $4500 trip. Upon my arrival, I was treated with hostility and disrespect. There is no regard to customer service at Sandals. I was told that I would not be allowed to stay at the resort and had to find other accommodations because I was traveling alone. I had flown all day, I was not offered lunch, dinner or even a bottle of water. Had to contact Delta Vacations and received help finding other hotel that I had to pay for, again! I will go out of my way to refuse and boycott anything Sandals in the future. Sandals Resorts is the Worst! Get treated like a second class citizen with your own money. Disappointing and embarrassing at best.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

My husband and I had a 1 year anniversary trip booked to Sandals in St. Lucia but I lost my job two weeks ago and we cannot afford this trip. We have three kids and without my income we can barely afford to pay bills and eat and they refuse to refund me and putting me through the wringer. We added travel protection but I’m not being guided on how I can make my claim and I Spoke to Brentlyn and I specifically asked for more clarification on how I go about processing a claim and he was so unclear so I asked for a supervisor numerous times to which he told me no. He then proceeded to tell me that I would lose about 550 in non refundable fees. How could you people do this to a family struggling and going through a really difficult time. When We booked this trip we did not foresee me losing my job 6 months later. How disgusting, unhelpful and downright inhumane to do this to people in a time of need.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

If you don't read the fine print you will find this out the hard way. Sandals charges you about the same price as the airline does for main cabin... Then you find out they have actually booked you BASE Economy which is basically, charge for luggage, no reserve seats, no guarantee that you won't get bumped. So it's a much lower value ticket than what they charge you... End of the story. My wife and I going on our 40th anniversary trip, but of us Platinum Level Delta, will be seating apart, in the back, middle seats. So I no longer see Sandals as a TOP agent... Good resorts but watch your back.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sandals & Beaches Resorts?

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

Been coming to Sandals for years, always gave it rave reviews, this trip, not so good. Let me start by saying our butler Nicole is the very best. Ask for her, she goes above and beyond. First night exceptional, not sure we booked the room we got but it works. Walkout butler suite beachfront, thought we booked the larger room but we had to switch dates so maybe the mix up happened then. Either way service and food is great. Our bed night 2 we noticed sheets were stained, looked like blood (not from us) butler immediately had housekeeping come. They came but room they kept sheets in was locked so she the housekeeper had to call our butler to unlock her area where sheets was. She kept our door open for the 30 minutes we waited for the new sheets (maybe it’s policy that they keep door open) but apparently from the door being open our room got infested with sand flies. My wife got bit during the night 20 times! Horrible raised bites.

Our butler offered to go get my wife Crete (at our cost) and had room sprayed. We had to stay out of room for 1 hour which was no big deal. After bug spraying we still noticed a few flying around, that night again bitten 10 times and up itching most of the night. We now are upset, and vacation is not enjoyable. We asked for a different room, first conversation was can’t get new room until the next night, we said, "That won’t cut it for us," waiting to see what they come up with. More to come! Sadly on our first night prior to now 40 bites, we already booked our next Sandals at a penthouse suite at Royal Bohemian. Depending on what they do, we may cancel next trip and go to the competitor which I never thought I would say.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

Below is an email written upon our return from Sandals Royal Bahamian. We submitted it to our travel agent who offered to try to get resolution before we decided to post our review on various sites. After two months, Sandals idea of a resolution was to offer us 500 points to use for another Sandals vacation. I would not go on another Sandals vacation for free.

Friday, November 16, 2018 - Upon arrival with two other couples we were escorted into the main lobby for a lengthy check-in of approximately 45 minutes. Our greeter, Lee, spent most of this time apologizing for this long wait. When we were finally issued a key and escorted to the room we discovered luggage that did not belong to us. More apologies as the staff searched for our luggage. Mind you, only three sets of luggage came off our van transport from the airport. While the staff searched for the luggage we toured our room to discover that the much anticipated "Windsor Honeymoon Oceanview Club Level Suite", room 1310, had a very limited ocean view. In fact, you can only see the ocean from the far right corner of the balcony. Very misleading and disappointing.

We immediately approached the concierge desk to request a room with an ocean view and although the reservations could clearly show who was arriving and departing, we were told we had to come back the next day to see what may be available. We were told to lightly unpack so if a room became available we could change rooms. After returning to room 1310 to situate our belongings, we relaxed before heading to Spices for dinner. When we arrived at approximately 6:15 pm, we were told that there was a 45 minute wait. This was the first of many times that we found the wait times were much longer than the hostess communicated. When we were finally seated we observed many open tables indicating that the restaurants were either understaffed through lack of available employees or by poor planning. In addition, napkins were not provided until we asked for them halfway through dinner.

Saturday, November 17, 2018 - We started the day with breakfast at Spices. We were offered Mimosas that never arrived. After finishing our breakfast, Larry had to leave his seat to track down our server to inquire about the status of the Mimosas. After breakfast we checked with the concierge regarding the availability of a new room. We were offered room 1419 which provided the advertised ocean view. We packed our luggage and brought it to the concierge desk by 11 am as instructed. We were told that room 1419 would not be available until 1:30 pm at the earliest. We were allowed to bring our luggage into room 1419 instead of leaving it at the desk.

A shame that our first observation in room 1419 was ripped carpet as we entered the living area. We would now be without private quarters for 2 and a half hours. We inquired about dinner reservations with the concierge only to find out that they were fully booked Friday and Saturday. The first available was Sunday night at either 5:30 or 9:00 pm. We did make a reservation for 5:30 on Sunday at Baccarat and one on Monday at Kimonos for 7:00 pm. We decided to make the most of our 2 and a half hour wait by heading to the beach. To our dismay, after a thorough search of the premises, we were unable to find any clean towels and had to go back to the front desk to ask for towels. Again, many apologies. Arriving at the beach we found it to be very small and crowded. There was very little space between occupied chairs.

Sunday, November 18, 2018 - Breakfast at Baccarat also included a very long wait. Upon seating we were once again offered Mimosas that never arrived. After we ordered our food, two other tables were seated. These tables were able to order, eat their breakfast and depart before we were even served our breakfast. When our open-face omelette and French toast came to the table, the omelette was room temperature and the French toast was cold. We did not send the food back because we already found ourself spending too much time waiting in lines and for food instead of having fun or relaxing on the beach.

At one point we bumped into Lee who asked about our stay so far and when we expressed our disappointment he summoned his manager. She only offered apologies and asked that we give her "opportunity". She also stated that we would get a call from food service because these poor restaurant experiences "should never happen." We never received a call throughout our entire stay. On Sunday, Larry found out by accident while speaking to Jade at the main lobby that she was our personal concierge which we didn't even know we had. Also, he overheard from another desk clerk that there were many tours available of which we were not informed.

The island boat provided to the "private island" does not have enough departures and arrivals nor did the crew adhere to the schedule as posted on the board at the dock. The crew seemed to come and go at their leisure. Example, one boat was leaving the pier at 9:30 am. The first posting is 10:00 am. There was a mass of people waiting for the boat with no semblance of order. There should have been an attendant to organize a line and inform passengers of wait time. In addition, we heard that there were non-Sandals guests who were vying for seats on the boat who had come from cruise ships or other resorts. As we approached the island on the boat we were told that the private island was in reality, shared with some other entity and that we must stay to the right of the concrete wall.

While on the island we decided to have lunch at Schooners at 1:40 pm. The hostess said the wait time would be 45 minutes but gave us the option of take-out which she stated should be only 15 minutes. We decided on the take-out since we wanted to make the 2:50 boat ride back to Sandals for our complimentary photo shoot at 4 pm. After waiting 42 minutes, we were told that the rum cake was the hold up. After another 8 minutes we were finally given our lunch and the rum cake and told NOW that our appetizer was not ready. We took the food we had to a nearby bench seat and I waited to eat as Larry went back to check on the appetizer.

When he returned with the appetizer we opened our take-out containers to eat. Within two minutes we noticed that the boat crew had approached the dock earlier than scheduled. We quickly inhaled our meal so that we would be able to get a seat on the boat. As we approached the dock we realized that the line was too long and we would not get a seat. We had no option other than to wait for the next boat. We realized that we were not going to make our 4:00 photo shoot because the next possible departure from the island was 3:50 pm. As a side note, If we had been initially told that the food would take an hour we would have relaxed on the beach (as vacations should be) and came back instead of waiting around the restaurant area in the hot sun.

Sunday night we attempted to go to Gordons, a non-reservation restaurant, only to be told that the wait was an hour and 15 minutes. There again we cited that there were many open tables only to be told by the hostess that those were reserved for couples with a butler. Instead of waiting more than an hour we settled on the Crystal Room.

All of these disappointments were within 24 hours of our arrival. We have been to many islands that included stays in Sandals Montego Bay and Dunns River, Beaches at Turks and Caicos, Rosewood Resorts on Virgin Gorda and St. Johns as well as many resorts that were not all inclusive. We had experienced more disappointment in the Sandals Royal Bahamian in two days than we had in all of our other travels combined and there was more to come. In addition, throughout our stay we overheard many conversations of other disgruntled guests.

Monday, November 19, 2018 - A second chance at the island with experience under our belt we approached the hostess for lunch at an earlier time closer to 1 pm and was told the wait would be approximately 15-20 minutes. Again this was unnecessary because there were many open tables. During our lunch we noticed that there were about ten couples experiencing the same situation that we had encountered the previous day waiting more than an hour although eight table were open.

Monday evening at 5:30 pm we called room service to order a cheese plate. The phone rang 20 times with no answer, we called the concierge desk and was told the room service number we dialed was correct and they transferred our call only to have it ring 20 times again. Larry reluctantly took the elevator down four floors and walked the entire length of the building to the front desk and spoke with Johnny, the concierge. Johnny remembered transferring Larry's call and said he would try the call himself. When Johnny dialed the number and it rang for the first time, he handed Larry the phone. On the 15th ring, Larry turned the phone toward Johnny and let it ring five more times and asked when HIS patience would be exhausted. Johnny agreed, hung up, and tried some other number and reached a person who was finally able to accept the room service order.

Later that evening at Kimonos the hostess was unable to locate another couples reservation even though they had confirmed the reservation three times. This delayed our seating because they were one of the six couples that each hibachi grill accommodates. The lady was absolutely livid and at her breaking point about her entire stay. We were all finally seated but none of us should have to experience the lack of service and frustration we all endured at a so-called "5" star resort. Tuesday, November 20, 2018 - Our expectations diminished and our patience exhausted we decided to just lay on the beach and drink. If we did nothing then nothing could go wrong. The only service we hoped to request was from housekeeping, however, they never answered the phone.

Wednesday, November 21, 2018 - On our final day at Sandals, based on our experience with the resorts prior mishandling of our luggage, we walked our luggage out to the curb and we watched it get loaded onto the bus. As the bus pulled away, one of the passengers thought he noticed one of his bags still on the sidewalk and informed the driver. The driver reluctantly turned the bus around while arguing that many suitcases look similar and questioned whether the guest had identified his luggage prior to departure. The gentleman confirmed that he had identified his luggage and when the bus returned to where the baggage had been loaded it was in fact still there on the curb along with another couple's luggage. Thus making this vacation a debacle from the first minute to the last.

Other notes - The billiard room contained two billiard tables. One of the tables was off level and allowed all shots to veer to the right and the billiard balls themselves were chipped; had divots. An easy fix. Level the table and purchase two new sets of billiard balls. The billiard room was uncomfortable and not properly ventilated. The ceiling fan provided no relief. Each guest that spent time in the room had the same complaint.

Sandals Royal Bahamian website advertises robes in every room, none were provided in either room 1310 or 1419. A bathroom door should separate the sleeping quarters so that the entire area is not lit up in the middle of the night when someone is sleeping. Staff should resolve issues and accommodate guests instead of the guest continually having to approach the staff at the lobby desk. Service was exceptionally slow (not just island time) and very lackluster, almost disinterested. We spent hours and hours of our vacation waiting in lines and for service, while getting frustrated time and time again. We experienced more stress on vacation at Sandals Royal Bahamian than we would in a typical work week. Highlights - Mercedes and Darius were excellent servers.

This was a surprise birthday gift to Larry. Imagine my frustration and disappointment when I watched all of my expectations fall apart. Larry had to be the one to resolve what he could because I was beside myself. We will never recommend Sandals Royal Bahamian to anyone, instead we will discourage anyone from going on a Sandals resort vacation through Yelp, my travel agent, word of mouth and other various social media. We intentionally took no pictures advertising Sandals or purchased any merchandise promoting Sandals.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

Spent nearly $7,000 on a trip to St. Lucia 5* resort at Sandals. Dec. 2018. Food was never hot, cold food was NOT Cold. Fruit flies were in all the fruit, Nothing was covered. The cats and birds in the restaurant were horrible. Our room was no better than a cheap motel room. We upgraded because we were told that we would have all inclusive alcohol beverages. You do not have to upgrade for that, they are included for everyone. Our room was stocked with liquor that we do not drink and could not change it. Most of the food was not fit for consumption. Food poisoning written all over it. The gift shop charged $30.00 for suntan lotion. Sandals refuses to give an email address for the corporate office. Do NOT waste your money. Plane tickets could have been bought a lot cheaper without having them exclusive. It cost me an extra 500.00 to upgrade our plane seats to have more leg room.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

BEWARE! We were at the Sandals Riviera on our honeymoon. We went snorkeling the first 2 days we were there. On the 3rd day we both came down with MICROPLASMA PNEUMONIA. That's not your everyday cold. The Sandals staff advised us to go to see the Sandals doctor. The doctor administered antibiotic injections to each of us and gave us a Z-pak. THE COST WAS $1500.00 PER PERSON. REALLY The doctor advised us to seek medical treatment immediately upon returning to the USA. The snorkels smelled moldy and dirty. We asked if they had been disinfected and they said that they were washed with MILD DETERGENT AND VINEGAR. They were stored on the boat in wet dirty lockers. We ended up with sores in our mouths.

If the snorkels and the snorkel tubes were not the cause of the infections then there must have been a problem with an unsanitary environment in the kitchen, the staff not washing their hands or maybe eating utensils and drinking glasses were to blame. Nevertheless we were extremely sick and required over a month on various antibiotics before we were healthy again.

We were lying at the pool one day and noticed that the pool water which had been clear when we arrived had become very murky. You no longer could see the bottom. We told the pool staff and they did nothing to rectify the problem. We never saw anyone test the pool water or add chlorine. It looked like a cesspool at the end of the day. The bacteria count must have been over any acceptable health dept. standards. If they have any??? Sandals is not a resort that cares about its guests' health.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

Tonight is our last night here, it is my 3rd full day of food poisoning. We only had a day and a half of normal, healthy vacation. This was supposed to be a special birthday week for my husband. This was a big deal trip. Positives: easy transportation to and from airport, club or butler level gets you a good view and room service, pizza is good. The facts: on December 20th we ate at Kimonos with another family of 7. 3 of us ended up with Food Poisoning because of our menu picks. My husband only had stomach/bathroom issues. The 3 of us were bedridden for days.

On December 21st I asked my husband to call medical since my pain and sickness was not improving. The nurse did not come, she told my husband to buy $61 worth of medication (which he did) and told me that it would cost ME $200 to get a Dr (I told her I had food poisoning). December 22nd, my husband's birthday. Stayed in bed. No food, barely could keep water in.

December 23rd, still sick. Ate crackers and water. I Contact the manager in afternoon. 5 p.m an assistant office manager contacts me and tells me I need to prove I have food poisoning on my own dime for the hotel to believe I have poisoning (I then made him aware of the 2 others in the dinner group) and he told me there is nothing he can do. After that conversation I had enough adrenaline to take a shower for the first time in days and after I am dressed he happens to stop by. I answer the door, grab his card and told him I want to meet with Matthew, the manager tomorrow morning before leaving.

I am coming from a career of 20 years in 5 star hospitality hotels and four diamond restaurants. I have never treated my customers like this and being in the customer's shoes for the first time in this scenario, it is saddening. I have not experienced five star quality service and this is my first bad review. In addition to this disaster and not getting our money's worth and husband's birthday ruined: 1) Will be going to hospital on "my dime" on Christmas Eve/day back in the States after our 16 hour flight since still in discomfort and pain. 2) Found someone else's dirty socks under bed in room. 3) Need to have your luggage and stuff out of room by 10 a.m. (even though checkout is 11).

Sandals Resorts Company Information